2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.4/5 (1598 ratings)

About Budget Rent-A-Car

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: May 2, 2021

Low rate and good dependable vehicle. The the tendency of friendly. They help you to get the type of vehicle that you want. It don't give you no hassle and make you feel very important. I would recommend my friend to Budget.

Original review: May 1, 2021

The woman who checked me in was very thorough and personable. She made sure I was getting the best value and we chatted for a while about life in the Northland. The car was clean and safe, and drop-off after-hours was an easy process.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Good value for the price, service was so-so, but then 2 weeks later was excellent. It's a rough time for everyone, so they were a lot better than I expected.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Budget gave the best initial price, but after either a general clerical mistake or flat-out dishonesty, my rental ended up being higher than quotes would have been from other companies. In addition, they will not give me a copy of my rental agreement. My idiotic mistake for discarding it before my deposit was returned.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Despite having a prepaid reservation at ABQ Airport, they were out of cars and were rude and flippant. This was after waiting in line for 30 min. Even the shuttle driver said this was common and advised to always use Enterprise. It left me stranded and needing to stay in a hotel for the night.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

This is the second car rental at with Budget in Indiana International Airport in the last month. The lines are incredibly long, at least 1 hour to get your car both times, unacceptable. There were 12 employee booths for employees to work only 5 this time and 2 the previous time we rented. The car we rented was great, a Jeep however it was not cleaned when we got it, and there was a horrible smell inside the car, that was down right gross. But we couldn't return it, because we were an hour away from the airport and had to get to our destination at Indiana University for parents' weekend. The license plate was Ohio, **. I suggest the CEO of Budget check out the car, and tell us what he thinks of the smell and if he could drive that car around for 3 days. If he can then sorry for bothering you but if not, have him send me back my money for the crappy rental we got from your company that was unacceptable.

If the CEO is busy, have some one in management go check out that Jeep Wrangler. Please don't sent me a ** email back that says, "Thank you for your response and your information," and I never hear from you again, put your money where your mouth is. Check out the car, drive it around for 20 minutes and then tell me what you think of that smell. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when the valet guy had body odor and drove the car and they couldn't get the smell out of the car.

Alex M

New Jersey

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I rented a car from this location for a 3 day trip to Denver with my wife. We get our vehicle and upon seeing it, it had a cracked front windshield and plenty of body damage (scratches, dings, dents). The agent replaced our vehicle with a Ford Expedition. Truck was good, but did have rear driver side fender/bumper damage which was duct taped. No issues with the car until it was time to check the car back in. We arrived an hour earlier than drop-off time and parked the car in the rental return line. Took down all necessary info, took a photo of the dash indicating a full tank and the mileage. Photo is time stamped showing time and date I dropped off the car. I asked if anything else needed and the lady stated to leave the keys on the dash. BIG MISTAKE!! Should have asked for a return receipt as we are now over 96 hours since drop-off and it still shows that I have the rental!

Tried calling the actual location and keep getting routed to corporate customer service. I requested customer service to close out rental and still no action. Still waiting for a resolution soon. I am an avid business/leisure traveler who has extensive car rental experience, but I have never experienced this before. All of my rental drop-offs have been closed out within 12 hours of returning. Needless to say, I am very disappointed at how this Budget location is handling this situation and not taking care of a Fastbreak customer. I will not be doing business with this location again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Had to change flight...called Budget and spent 3 hours on the phone to move the car rental reservation up...worst customer service ever...then Travelocity forgot to send in the voucher for the car rental and budget charged us again for the rental... Here it is three weeks later and I still don't have the second charge refunded back to my credit card... The customer service reps are rude, you spend hours on the phone and they just give you the run around... We will never rent a car from them again...

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Last night I reserved a car and the reservation was confirmed. I arrived to pick up the car and they didn't have. They said I could upgrade to another vehicle that was $60 a day more. The representative was rude and unprofessional. I called customer service they offered me another car for only $35 more and I had to get to another location. I will never use Budget again. I found a car down the street for about the same price as my original reservation.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Bad experience. I advise don’t pay for your rental beforehand. I don’t see how you are penalized for paying ahead of time to try and secure a reduced rate. I had to change plans due to covid and the company refused to issue a full refund. Horrible business ethics. The people do not care, only concerned about taking your money. Once they get they get the money good luck getting it back. Safe to say I’ll never use Budget again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

We rented a car from Baltimore-Washington Airport and they charged $250 for a rental from Friday evening to Sunday morning. Though to be fair, when I looked for a car, they were the cheapest company! First, picking up the car was confusing. We took the shuttle bus from the airport terminal to the rental car parking garage. We went to the Budget counter, and it was closed, with a sign telling us to go to the Avis counter. So we went to the Avis counter and saw a sign that said people with reservations can go to the outside kiosk. Since we already had a reservation, we went outside. But no one was there. Another customer was just as confused about what to do and she had been waiting a few minutes.

Normally, they have a big LED sign with customer names and the parking spot for the cars. The sign was on the fritz and mostly broken, so they taped a printout of customer names and cars... but it only showed rentals up to 12:00 noon, and it was now 5:00 pm! After about 10 minutes of waiting, an attendant showed up, he helped us, and gave us our car. Though he seemed almost confused that we (and the other customer) were Budget Rapid Rewards members with reservations and not Avis customers.

We got a VW Jetta which is in the class of car we reserved. But we've never driven a car like that before so we didn't know how to turn on the headlights or the parking brake. There was no owners manual in the car, so that didn't help. We started driving through the parking garage with the headlights off and then we were able to flag down an attendant to ask him for help. It would have been nice if someone showed us the car's controls before we started driving.

We returned the car Sunday morning, 2 hours earlier than planned. When we got to the car rental parking garage, the entrance for Budget was closed and it also said to go to the Avis entrance. So we drove around, parked, and an attendant checked us out. He then said we had to go to the inside counter to close out the contract. We did that and the lady at the counter said the contract was already closed when the previous guy helped us! She gave us our receipt (which they also e-mailed to me) and then got on the radio with someone to tell the guy outside not to tell customers that they need to go to the counter close out their contract. We didn't actually need to use the car all weekend- we drove out to the rental house on Friday and back to the airport on Sunday.

When I later got the receipt, it showed that we used 0.9 gallons- yes, less than ONE gallon. Yet they somehow charged us an additional $16.61 in fees, including $5.069 per gallon for gas!! If I had known they charged that much for gas, I would have filled up the the 0.9 gallons myself! And we returned the car 2 hours earlier than planned, so shouldn't they subtract the fees? So no, I'm not happy with my experience renting from Budget... or is it actually Avis?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I have rented from Budget for years and until recently they were one of the best car rental agencies. Lately, their policies have changed to rip the consumer off. In March of 2021 we rented at Richmond Airport - we prepaid. When we got there they told us they were running late as they were short staffed. We waited as instructed in the lobby and after 1 hour we were instructed that the car was ready and to go to the garage - when we got there there were 40 people in line at the kiosk and we had to wait another hour in line. Once we got to the kiosk attendant they told us that they were running behind and we needed to wait for the car to be cleaned. We waited another half hour and when we got to the car it was 2 car downgrade.

At this point we were steaming but were already running late for an appointment 2 hours away. We left and called customer service on the way, which took 1.5 hours to get someone on their customer service line who was unapologetic and said we should have addressed the issue with the Richmond airport folks - these people think because they are being forced to work that everyone else should be doing the same and not enjoying their vacation or have all the time in the world to fix their company's problems. Well we don't. This used to be a seamless process and I am thinking that the management has forced their workers into scamming the customer to pull as much money as they can from the consumer. I understand that the pandemic has caused these companies to make drastic changes and they are struggling - but it is not our fault and they should not be biting the hand that feeds them.

The customer service person said they could only offer a free car upgrade on our next rental - the audacity - you downgrade me 2 cars and you offer to fix the problem by offering a car upgrade if I rent from you again. The second recent time I rented from Budget was 3 weeks ago - August - was going to drop my daughter off at college in VA. Since I had a free upgrade - I rented a Ford Explorer (or similar) and with the upgrade I opted to go with the Ford Expedition (or similar) as I needed the room to carry all of her stuff - When I got there they tried to give me a Kia Sportage - 4 car levels down. The balls on these people. I cancelled the reservation then and there.

I then called customer service - waited another hour on hold - and explained the situation - they wanted to withhold 250.00 of the reservation fee and I explained to them that I was going to take them to small claims if they did as this was a scam and they agreed to give all of the reservation money back - they said it would be processed in 5 days - still waiting - I called back on day 5 and they gave an excuse that the person didn't process correctly and that they would then expedite and would take 2 days - it is now day 3 and no money - I am calling them back today and threaten small claims again and I am calling the local TV station consumer line and putting these jerks on the news. We'll see if they decide to do what they say they will do.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I booked a rental a month in advance and prepaid. When we arrived to pick up the car, we were sent to another location to pick up the rental. At the 2nd location, the rate more than doubled but we were not informed of this by staff; the rate was on the rental agreement. We took the car because we are already late. The car was dirty inside and out and staff did not even walk around the car with us but gave us the fob and told us to hit the button on the key fob to see which one it was.

We returned the car a day early - no money refunded for this. Instead, I have been charged over the amount it was supposed to be. We cleaned the car, filled the tank up, etc. I called and was told that they can’t do anything, I have to wait and see if the charges will “drop off” my account. So far a 3 day rental has cost me an additional $600 with no explanation of why. I did not authorize these charges which are still coming in 4 days after returning the car in better condition than he received it.

Budget Rent-A-Car author review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information