3.4/5 (1458 ratings)

About Budget Rent-A-Car

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: May 28, 2022

Went to Kona Hawaii in September 22. Had a car reserved at Hertz. When we got there they would not accept the card we reserved with and we were left without a vehicle. They were very rude and unempathetic so we walked next door to Budget. Was in and out very quickly with a nice car for a good price. We rented 2 cars from Budget. In 2 weeks they accepted all our cards. Were very nice and gave us great service. We love Budget. They saved us a lot of trouble on our vacation.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I had a very positive experience with Budget Car Rental. I made a reservation the night before. I got a good online price and I prepaid. I used digital check in. When I arrived, the next day, I spent only about 10 minutes at the counter. The car, a Mitsubishi Outlander, was clean and ran well. The staff was professional and friendly. I would use them again.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2022

Brandon at this location is awesome. I have dealt with a few other rental companies and their employees the past few months due to some car issues. Hands down he was the most professional, accommodating and streamlined process out of all my previous interactions with other companies. I live in Robinson and moving forward will only rent thru Brandon and at this location. I recommend everyone else to save themselves the hassle or time searching by taking my advice and going here! And by the way, the car was filled with gas and perfectly clean… Which far exceeded the condition of any of my past rentals around our area or picked up at airports for during vacations.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

We rented car in Calgary on Jan 20. Our flight was delayed by almost 2 hours from Toronto. We met Victorino, who was very courteous and professionally helpful in helping us provide the car that we needed. As much it was great to interact with Victorino who helped quickly reserve us a car without much time, his friendly approach and a nice gesture was welcoming to guide towards car.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I rented a car at the Fort Lauderdale Airport location, the woman at the counter by the name of Sheila was wonderful!! She was so kind, accommodating, & patient. I received the car clean both inside & out, with a great deal through Priceline for 4 days! Join the FASTBREAK program to beat the line people, lol!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

December 1st I had a fast track rental setup with Budget. Went to the fast track board at the car park area and they did not have my contract paperwork there. The fast track booth was closed and no one there. This was right before midnight. So I had my wife wait there, with our luggage while I went to inquire why my paperwork was not where it should be. Found a huge line up to get to the counter. Found that many of those in line were also expecting fast track service. 2 hours and 30 minutes later I finally finished at the counter and then had to go to the complete other side of the airport to finally get my car. FYI - Avis was as bad. None of the other car rental company had more that 2 or 3 people in line. NEVER RENT FROM BUDGET OR AVIS.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Rented a car from Budget Rent-a-Car from Dallas Fort Worth Airport on Nov 7 2022 returned it to them on Nov 11 2022. I returned it to DFW Airport rental car return (hideously difficult to find in the dark) but it was 6 am and the Budget counter was not open but had an arrow pointing to the Avis counter. I stood in line for 40 mins and finally spoke with an extremely unhelpful attendant who took the keys from me and said he would check it in when he had time. I didn't trust him. When I returned home I called Budget and asked for a written receipt of the rental car return which the extremely unhelpful budget employee finally sent to me by email stating that the check-in date was Nov 11 and the total rental cost total was about $500.

Of course 3 weeks later they send me a "your car has just been returned" text notice on my phone saying that the car had only just been checked in and that they had charged my account over $3000 for the rental - seriously, they actually took the money out of my account, no phone call, no email warning me that this was coming, just took the money. I'm currently trying to buy a commercial property and this charge completely ruined my credit status for the real estate loan application. Another hour on the phone, they admitted they made a "mistake" and said the money would go back into my account in 3-5 business days and hours later today, I'm still trying to get a written confirmation of this from them. Never Again! So glad I forced them to send me a written receipt of return.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

Rented car online because of discounts, charged my card almost twice as much as quoted price because of fees. Was not shown this until after I hit pay. When I cancelled they charged me 150$. Will never use them!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

I was astounded today to find out that a prepaid and confirmed rental car reservation at Budget does not mean you will be able to pick up a car. When we went to pick up the car at the assigned time and location, we were told “Sorry, we don’t have anymore cars to rent.” After explaining we had a prepaid reservation the customer service staff simply repeated she did not have any cars to rent. WE had to ask what the next steps were and she simply said, "Call customer service and ask for a refund." She didn’t even volunteer the phone number!

After a great deal of hassle getting that number the call center (sounded like it was outsourced to India-very difficult to communicate clearly) conversations went like this, “We only have cars available at the airport. Can you drive there? (By the way, this is over an hour away from our location) Then we can help you with a car.” She then informs us that the prices are different at each location and we will have to pay more! We didn’t mess this up! Why did we have to pay more for a car they didn’t have?

So, after this experience we learned… Budget Rent a Car does not maintain accurate inventory, prepaid reservations mean nothing, pricing means nothing, their customer service is terrible, and they have no concerns over ruining family travel plans or stranding people with their unreliable reservation practices. I would not recommend using Budget Rental for anything!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

They charged us for insurance even though we provided our own insurance and gave us a terrible car that smelled like dirty feet. The car was way smaller than what we paid for. Customer service was rude and hung up on me.

Budget Rent-A-Car author review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information