2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.44/5

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I rented a truck in Rochester, NY at the airport and when I got it it stunk of pot and cigarettes. On time constraints I returned the next day and again was given a truck that smelled like pot and cigarettes. The next morning I went to start and return but it would not start. Customer service called a truck believing it needed a jump but driver said it was a bad starter. He later towed it back to airport and I got a ride to get my 3rd vehicle which was the only one with a cleaned by slip in it. When I returned it later getting the bill Budget charged me for the failed jump start. They said I did not buy their roadside service so They said it was my responsibility. So, I was given 2 vehicle that clearly had not been checked, one had a bad starter and had I lost hours of my time they felt I should be charged $216! Insult to injury is how horrible my experience was with Budget. Stand behind your "policy" you don't your customer service..

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

Will not be renting from Budget/AVIS anytime in the future due to their hidden fees. I took a short weekend trip to Chicago with my mother for my grandmother's 90th birthday. We had our rental for 3 days and put maybe 50 miles on the vehicle. I had placed my reservation via Costco Travel and had no issues. On 10/30/2020, I picked up a Chevy Equinox from Chicago O'Hare. Got my mother and luggage into the vehicle and noticed an error alert and the tire pressure symbol was lit. I left my mother with our luggage and the vehicle to see if I could find someone to make sure everything was okay. Not one person was located outside (it's a pandemic so I'm sure staffing is short) so I went back inside and spoke with the person at the FastBreak rental desk. She changed my rental to a GMC Terrain and we were on our way. If this was the end then I'd give a decent review.

The time of our rental was fine. We drove less than 50 miles (my grandmother lives not far from O'Hare) and except for a trip to the grocery store the vehicle was parked in the driveway. It was less than $7.00 to refill the tank before dropping it off on 11/02/2020. I just received a letter informing me that during return inspection (this letter was dated 8 days post return) that Dirt was located and I would be billed a $250.00 cleaning fee. I have called to dispute but we all know that goes nowhere. I have rented from multiple agencies in the past and have never been billed a cleaning fee (even a rental in Florida with sand involved) so not sure what invisible dirt they located but hopefully they can show me the pictures that were supposedly taken to prove the dirt.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

My entire weekend was RUINED by the experience that I had as a DIRECT RESULT of the faulty condition of the vehicle which was issued to me! I contacted customer service by phone. Spoke to Robert, then his supervisor, Brenda. The best she could do is issue a 50% refund. The vehicle's issue was that the battery's negative connector was DETACHED from the terminal due to a MISSING nut, rendering the vehicle UNSAFE! I called roadside assistance, based the assurance of the Budget representative (who I initially called) that I would NOT be charged for that service.

The technician explained that the problem was not fixable because he didn't have the proper part. He performed a temporary fix, telling me that it would not hold and that the car is not safe and that I should have it exchanged. The only way that I was able to accomplish this that same evening was to drive it to the local airport. I was issued another car, which did NOT meet the cleanliness standards that I've experienced with my past rentals. But it was "all they were able to find on such short notice". This whole ordeal was frustrating beyond belief and now I've lost all that time. Then to have customer service tell me that I'll be RESPONSIBLE for that roadside assistance and all they can do is issue HALF credit??!

I will NOT pay for roadside assistance in this case, as I was ASSURED that I would not have to, otherwise I would not have called!! I KNOW that I am justified in requesting a FULL refund for this rental. It's the LEAST that Budget can do for a longtime loyal customer, as I'll never get that time back. I will continue my attempts to seek retribution until I reach the person who is able to help me in this matter!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I reserved a rental car and paid for the reservation, was not informed verbally or in writing about the extra deposit required. Arrived at location and was informed a $250 deposit was required and they did not have the vehicle promised. Spoke with customer service, was promised a refund in 3-5 days, it has been 8 days and I still have not received the refund and their customer service appears to be dodging the issue. Very dissatisfied and would not recommend this company.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I was charged by Budget an additional $590 because I changed our arrival time. Note, the arrival day, location and car class all stayed the same, just the pick up time. This change was made due to our inbound flight being changed because of the pandemic. I went onto Budget.com to make the quick time change and then I received an email stating my bill increased to an additional $590. I call customer service to ask why this is my new bill, they said, "Anytime you make a modification to an existing reservation, the new base rate will be added." THIS WAS NOT STATED ANYWHERE ON THE MODIFICATION PAGE. Overall, for a simple time change, I was charged. Customer service was rude an not helpful at all. I do not recommend Budget to anybody.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

We rented a car from Budget in Boston and we were charged for sand in the car. They added $250 to our bill. I am almost 60 years old and have never been charged "sand". We stayed at a lake. Unbelievable. DO NOT USE BUDGET.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

After locking the key fob in trunk. We called customer service for OnStar to unlock the doors. Unsuccessful. Could not unlock. They suggest we have car towed. We wait on tow truck. Wait, they show up and unlock the door. Tell us no charge. "MY" insurance covered the lockout. So two weeks and another $800 to purchase missed flights, extra day car rental, and did I mention .4 gas charge of $4.00. Yes it is true. They charge $9.99 per gallon. This would be considered a fraudulent charge.

We would have left the vehicle parked in the hotel garage, had towed retrieved our luggage at a later date and made our flight. No because we have medical equipment and medication needed in the trunk. I would not rent from Budget again, and will share the poor service and fraud they charge their customers. Next time I will read reviews, because once I found this website it appears they continue to charge customers over and over outrageous fees. I feel violated and have been out in a financial crunch due to all the added cost. Shame on corporations taking advantage of loyal people.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I rented a car, the bumper was falling off while I was driving. There were two holes in the front and back seat, the car was filthy inside. I brought it back to the location after they didn't answer the phone for two days. Had to drive all the way back from another state to return the car and they offer a $90 discount. INSANE. The customer service was awful, the workers use profanity and discuss how horrible other customers are with customers there.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

When I made this reservation, I purposely chose the cheapest car possible (I have been furloughed and needed the car for a job interview; so money is tight). Upon arrival, everything is as usual. The employee asks the usual questions about insurance, hands me my contract and asks me to initial it and sign which I do without reading it (my bad) trusting in the employee's professionality (and Budget's). I return the car 2 days later and am told that I will get my final invoice by mail. I never got that final invoice and upon checking my Amex account, find out that I have been charged $39 extra. I call their office and they tell me that I approved, with my initials, for an upgrade (?!).

As stated earlier, my bad for not reading the contract but why should I? I had already chosen my car on the website and was just picking it up. At no point during my conversation with the Budget employee was the word "upgrade" spoken, he didn't offer and I wasn't even thinking about it (money's tight!). When I called, the manager was not helpful at all and refused to reimburse those 39 dollars. I feel cheated by Budget and will never rent from them again, I think it's a disgrace what this agency did taking advantage on the fact that many people will not read carefully their contract as they have already chosen their car and are just picking it up.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Budget charging $50.00 cancellation fee for travel during pandemic with no acknowledgement of restrictions by state and national concerns. Called on November fourth 2020 for cancellation on February 13, 2021.

Budget Rent-A-Car author review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information