Budget Rent-A-Car

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If you want to change the time that you pick up the car, they will charge you a fee. They do not tell you about the fee till after you paid the money to rent the car. They don't have a grace period for returning the car late or picking it up, like other car rental places do. I will spend more money next time and go to the ones that have this.

Budget Car Reservation Arkansas - I contacted Budget Rental to inquire about a reservation using a Visa Bank Card since the website states this form of payment is accepted. I was advised there will be an additional hold in addition to the car rental fee. The pay now option was available and the Visa bank card was accepted as a form of payment. I arrived at the car rental location 3 hours later and was advised a credit check was needed because I did not have a "Credit Card", however my bank card had already been charged when I checked my bank account. The rep then stated I would need 2 forms of payments, meaning 2 cards on file, which I had 2 Visa bank cards in "My" name. However, I still was not able to rent the vehicle, which is unbelievable seeing that even car insurance claims are not this difficult and I CHOOSE not use credit cards.

I even offered to pay Cash but it is not accepted. I was appalled that the company actually charged my card without providing services. As of now my account shows this account charge. I contacted customer service and the rep stated they would try to refund me the full amount. Full amount? I did not receive any rental services and still do not know why since the rep could not explain. My vehicle needs repair and this was the reason for the need of a rental car. I received an email that stated the reservation had been canceled after speaking to the rep. I then received an email stating I would receive an email MINUS $150.00, pardon me? Once again I never received services from this company Budget Car rental and this was all in one day within 2 hours.

In the overnight hours, I received another email stating my vehicle was ready for pickup "again" after they refused to rent me a vehicle, after I contacted customer service and asked for my funds to be refunded immediately since I should not have been charged until the entire process was complete. This is VERY suspicious to me and now I will have to file a complaint against Budget Rental. This should not be legal to charge any consumer before services are rendered. I should have read the reviews prior to wasting cab fare and my time. Absolutely horrible service, HORRIBLE.

Everything was fine except we were vacationing in St. Croix for the first time and it would have been nice if they had provided some guidance regarding what type of car we should rent for the area in which we would be traveling. We might have made a more appropriate choice for our needs, but were unfamiliar with the area.

We made a three-day car rental reservation in advance. Our flight into SFO was delayed several hours because of weather. When we finally got to the car rental counter we were advised that Budget could no longer honor our reservation because we were no longer meeting the three-day minimum for our rate. They wanted to charge $100 more than our original reservation, think about that. Because we were keeping the car two hours less they wanted to charge us more than $100 more. When we insisted it was a flight delay we were advised to take it up with the airline. What a ridiculous answer. We asked the agent to assist us in finding a different rate. We could use a AAA, military, AARP or outlet discount. We were told all he could offer us was the walk-up rate which was much more expensive.

We walked away from the counter, pulled out an iPad and found the exact same rental on Priceline for a total of $99 including taxes and fees. That was $75 less than our original reservation and $175 less than they wanted to charge us because of the delay. We went back to the counter to the same agent and showed him the new reservation. He then spent 20 minutes trying to upsell us and trying to convince us to pay their ridiculous damage fees, gas prepay, etc. We could have a BMW SUV for the discounted rate of $50. Fortunately we asked the right questions because it was really $50 a day, not $50 for the rental period. He was relentless. We held firm on our new reservation. He then directed us to the wrong location to pick up the car and gave us the car furthest away. FYI, the agent told us that if you make a three-day reservation and return it in less than three days, they would charge you more for the rental. We will never rent from Budget again.

Flew into Honolulu airport for a family vacation on 1/26/1977 decided to rent a minivan from Budget. While out doing some site seeing my kids were going through the overhead compartments and found a ** pipe with drugs. Called Budget right away and was informed that if we wanted to we could bring the car back to swap it out or if we preferred the vehicle and we would be compensated upon return of the vehicle. Being more than an hour away from the rental location we decided to dispose of the pipe and drugs rather than risk getting a felony offense for possession while driving with it in the car.

On return of the car we showed Budget the photos. They failed to give us any type of compensation for their neglect of cleaning out the car. I was told that we should of brought the vehicle back with the methamphetamine pipe so they could document it or filed a report with the police. We were never told this by the agent on the phone. This whole situation is very upsetting. I feel that Budget has not tried to make it right. I had extended my rental for another 26 hrs (before we found the pipe with drugs). I was also charged for a third day for two hrs! They were neglectful! They did not clean out this vehicle which put my family and I at risk!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

When we picked up the car it was dirty inside, there was no fuel in the tank (and no fuelling facility at the pickup point) and the odometer reading did not match the paperwork. We pointed this out to the manager who signed our rental agreement to confirm this was true. Budget still insisted on charging us for fuel and a refueling charge. We challenged this through our credit card company who refunded the charge to us and took up the issue with Budget. At this point Budget refused to investigate the matter and did not respond to communication from the credit card company. Instead they chased us for the debt (which wasn't owed) and refused to conduct the internal investigation because we had referred the matter to the credit card company. When I ran to discuss this all they would say was "it is company policy not to complete the investigation once the matter was referred to the credit card company".

Despite the fact that they have not investigated the matter they insist the debt is owed and they are not interested in evidence or the truth. I pay or they pass the matter on to a debt collector. This will trash my credit rating in the UK and the US but they don't care about customers or whether the debt is really owed or not. I could pay the money to avoid the hassle and the inevitable severe consequences of having my credit rating trashed but there is a principle here. They wouldn't deal with my credit card company and they won't complete an internal investigation now or deal with me. I'll fight this in the courts.

I complied with the rental agreement, they didn't. They provide a lousy service and expect me to pay extra. They are refusing to deal with this because of some internal policy that I couldn't possibly have been aware of. Their stance appears to be avoid discussion/conflict with the credit card companies (the big guys). Beat up on the customer (the little guy). Lousy customer service from first to last and I'll see them in court before I pay for something they didn't provide.

When renting a car from Budget be aware of what you are signing. I rented a car recently and turned down all insurance options verbally. So I assumed I could initial the rest of the forms agreeing to the contract. When we retuned our car we were slapped with a "supplemental liability insurance." Oh well, I guess verbally turning down all insurance for a rental car does you no good. They will always get you in the end. I will never rent a car from them again.

Overall fair service, car, value. Check in was a little hurried and things were forgotten, but check in when they wanted their $859, things picked up a little, with more staff, more attention detail and getting me out the door.

I rented from a local dealer at a service station. The selection was limited to one car for each category. I reserved online which was easy to navigate and complete. When I picked up the car it took all of about 8 minutes to sign the agreement and get the keys. The reserved car was not available so they upgraded me to the next category. Customer service was professional and business like. The price was fair and the office was convenient.

First off vehicle was nasty when I got it. Had to be somewhere quickly so I took it. I filled tank at gas station next to airport. Budget still charged for gas. Agent told me because I drove less than 70 miles I had to have a receipt for gas purchase even though line was above the F line on vehicle. I will never use Budget again. Shame as I am an elite member with them.

Don't use Budget Rent A Car!! Recently rented a car from Budget in Orlando, FL. I had reserved my car online and had anticipated extra charges (hidden) but generally knew how much the bill was going to be. I was charged many extra's (liability insurance, gas, and who knows what else) that the customer service rep never told me there would be an extra charge for and the company refused to refund the full amount, only refunding $30 for gas. They were unethical in their contract practices and their customer service was awful. In all, my bill was approx $150 more than I had calculated. Yes I will rent a car again, but NEVER from BUDGET!!

Customer service was bad. Car smelled like smoke and they said it didn't, and I'm a nonsmoker. Went through AARP, they really screwed up. Did like them at one time, but now I'll try a different Avis/Budget office.

Budget, Dollar, etc in Orlando International Airport are all the same. Seems a majority of them have lawsuits pending against them for falsely charging running tolls and activating transponders. They tell you transponders are there "for your convenience," which is true for some, but it also lets them charge you since it's apparently automatic and they can claim it activated when you didn't activate.

We have our own SunPass and managed to pay all tolls, but then we get a home and it's over a month later and we see a charge on our credit card bill for $21.25 under "fees and adjustments." Call up Budget and they say we ran toll that was $1.50 and activated transponder that is hooked up to all their windshields. We told them we have our own SunPass and used it for the whole week we were there so how did this $1.50 show up? The SunPass still had money on it so we know it wasn't empty, either both SunPass and Budget are double-charging customers or one is at fault and blaming the other. You call one up and they tell you the other ones charges fees not them. Go through your credit card company and dispute.

The price and car selection might be good at Budget, but whenever you're in a heavy tourist area like Orlando you can expect to be nickel and dimed by the rental car companies from time to time. Actually had this same problem with Dollar Orlando years ago, asked them to send proof and they sent nothing except a bill for $50. Budget didn't send a bill either, we had to call them to find out what the $21.25 was for.

Not only the worst company for car rental, but an horrible customer service. Charged TWICE at Budget - Toronto - Ontario. In October of 2016, I returned a car on date and time of my contract. Went to the Budget counter to pay the total amount of my rental in cash. After paying, I asked the gentleman from Budget if the amount would be waived from my credit card, and he said "YES", and gave me a receipt. After a few days, I noticed the charge on my credit card were not waived and I called customer service and for my surprise, the answer for this terrible mistake was: "You need to wait for 14 BUSINESS days for their analysis."

After almost TWO MONTHS, no answer from Budget, I tried again and used a different type of channel, social media. The answer again was: "You have an opened case with us and allow us 14 more BUSINESS DAYS to check what happened." I lost my mind. Even trying the ombudsman channel, I am still waiting for Mr. James ** to respond me with a solution, the Budget's Executive Resolution Coordinator! I am not talking about some tens of dollars, I am talking about 1900 dollars! One Thousand and Nine hundred Canadian dollars! I have nowhere else to go, so I am starting with social media and looking for a lawsuit. Thanks for the space, ConsumerAffairs.com.

Our arrival by shuttle to the rental centre went (relatively) smoothly. When we got to the Budget center, things went from bad to worse. The lineup was over 30 people long and they only had 4 stations (out of 10) helping customers. It was mid-afternoon, so it wasn't likely they were all out to lunch, but it took almost an hour before it was our turn. Suggestion for improvement: When there is a huge lineup of people waiting to begin their holiday, put a few more people on to serve them.

Next surprise, the car (Buick Verano or equivalent) that I had booked and paid for with Air Miles a month before was not available. How could that be? Suggestion for improvement. If someone books a vehicle, treat that as an written contract that you deliver that car (or its equivalent), when it is supposed to be picked up.

However, they would upgrade us into a different car. Since it was their error that I didn't get what was promised. I assumed the upgrade would be complimentary. Bad mistake. I found out only later that the upgrade (the favour they were doing for screwing up my reservation in the first place) was at an extra cost of 21 dollars (US) tax per day. Suggestion for improvement: Don't make suggestions that sound like you are doing them a favour when you AREN'T.

The fellow at the counter was in a hurry. With a long line of people waiting for cars he took no time to allow any kind of understanding of what was happening at the rapid rate he demanded. "Press Here, Press Here, Initial Here, Sign here" was most of our conversation. I felt stampeded, coerced and railroaded. I was extremely disappointed with our treatment and with the financial shafting we took.

At first I felt I was overreacting but a couple who we casually met on the trip down and subsequently saw again on the return flight said they had the EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE with Budget. The car they ordered wasn't available, but they would upgrade them, the rushed experience, the lack of explanation, and all the surprises that came after. They felt they'd been processed like cattle. Both of us found the cost of the car (and we didn't even take the added insurance) was the largest bill we had on our 10-day trip to Arizona. The flights, the food expenses and the cost of 10-nights' accommodation at good hotels were all smaller.

I, and I'm sure the other couple will never consider using Budget again if this is their strategy and the way they conduct business.

I rented a car for 7 days. Because of my USAA membership, the young driver fee was waived. I paid it online and the car was pretty cheap then - only around $33 a day. At the counter, the man told me, I have to sign "here" and "here" and have to tell him the reservation number, my name and my USAA membership number. Sounds like a normal process. Then he asked me for my credit card that they can put a hold on it until I return the car. I said "fine" and gave him my credit card. On the day that I returned the car, no one was there. Doesn't make sense for me because I selected the return time. So I filled in the paper work and throw them together with the keys into the mailbox. The tank was fully filled up.

Two weeks later, they charged my $27 bucks for some "smaller" fees - no one told me that after I already paid, I will get those afterwards. Also they charged $300 for an insurance. The funny thing is, at the counter I declined everything. Which means, instead of paying $30 a day, it was more like $70. An offer that I definitely would never sign. I mean, seriously, I rented a car because I was looking for a way to get to SEA from PDX and back. We were 3 people, the $180 was as cheap as the bolt bus (3 people * 2 times a ticket * $30 a ticket). So we thought, okay, if we have to pay for fuel, it's still a good deal because it's way more comfortable and we have a way to get around in SEA. But to pay more than the doubled price, is definitely insane.

After long disputes with the customer service, we still haven't our money back. It was more like, that they were very unfriendly to me, used some rude words as well and said that I signed for that - and that it's legal. It's not! If you let people sign with withholding further costs and under false pretenses - it's still cheating and it's illegal. That man at the counter hasn't told me anything about insurances. Yes, I signed and yes, I haven't checked that form - but he only said I have to sign here, everything else was already set up because I ordered online. By the way, the customer service sounded more like that they knew exactly we I wrote to them. Seems like a default business practice of Budget! I definitely will never use Budget again! Guys, be careful!

We rented a car to drive from Miami, FL to Ft. Myers, FL. We were instructed to "go find" our "red" van in a parking lot parked across the street. There was no parking space number so we were told to just "push our key button" until we found the right van. After searching the parking lot, we finally found our "red" van which was actually "grey" and blocked in by another car. No customer service to be found. The gas tank was 1/2 full and we were instructed to fill it to 1/2 upon delivery. After we filled the tank to the specified level, we were still charged for the gas in Ft. Myers. I went to customer service to have it removed from my bill and it was unbelievable how rudely we were treated. SAVE YOUR MONEY!! Do not rent from this company!!

I will never rent from this rental car company again. I went to Miami. Rented a car for 4 days. Brought the car back about 2:15 am to get on my flight for 5:15 am. Someone who work at the rental car place took the car out. After I return the car charged my card $724.53. I have called over and over again so the person who took the car out after me kept it for 12 days and charge me and this happen in May 2016. Nothing still have not been done. Do not rent from these people. They will steal your money. I called. Talk to so many people. Nobody did anything. The lady at the Miami airport told me that the car might have been lost in the garage. Yeah right. I'm going to take them to court.

This is the absolute worst car rental company. My boyfriend and I were trying to reserve a car for our trip. As we are trying to confirm our reservation online it tells us there was an error processing our card. Next thing we know, we have no car reservation but the entire charged with instantly taken out of our checking account. Upwards of five phone calls later we are out over $300 with no rental car reserved. They have now told us it was because there was a system update that is stated NOWHERE on the website. Now we have to wait over 3 days for the 300 dollars to be credited back to our account. This is now causing us to postpone other things we need to book on this trip because we are out $300. Absolutely ridiculous and will never book with this company again. Don't waste your time, book a rental car elsewhere.

$100 charge for returning with over a half a tank of gas. $20 charge for going through a toll. Customer service is pathetic --- I suggest never using them and if you have to, make sure to read the contract with a fine toothed comb.

We had a terrible experience with Budget. I am so annoyed and unhappy about Budget that I can only mention how bad Budget is when someone asks me about my trip. So we reserved an intermediate vehicle. We have an intermediate vehicle at home and it fits our luggages and the 4 four us comfortably. And I called Budget customer service to inquire what kind of tires are provided on the vehicle. The people in the call center said that the tires would be whatever it needs to be for the weather in the city we rent. So we go to pick up our rentals. There were 4 of us. Two adults and two kids. We have one regular size luggage. One medium size and a hand luggage. The lady tries to up sell us to an SUV for $600 more. Are you kidding me? That's 4 times the price of what we paid. But that's not the problem.

So she processes the rental and takes us out to the vehicle and gives us the smallest intermediate vehicle. Honestly, you saw that there were 4 of us and luggages and there are a lot of other intermediate size vehicles on the lot. We don't get a choice. We told her no to that vehicle and asked for the one next to it as we didn't get a chance to see all our options. This is the only one we noticed as it was right next.

She said, "Sure," and gave us the vehicle. But when we put our things in, it was very tight. It scratched up our luggages and very tight in the front for seating as well. It was snowing and very cold so we didn't want to ask for another vehicle. But I am so pissed about the way we were treated. Then the vehicle had all season tires. I asked for winter tires and I was told the only option was to pay $600 more for an SUV. The day we were in Calgary, the streets were packed with snow and it was snowing and they gave us a vehicle with all season tires.

We then required a booster seat however that location did not have any. So they check the other stores and gave us an address to another location. The address given to us was incorrect. It took us to the middle of nowhere. I then had to google where the location was using my roaming charges. Then we got there. Getting from one Budget to the other Budget location, we had a hard time maneuvering the vehicle. The car was swerving and we were going really slow with the crappy tires we had. At one point, we had to run a red light cause the vehicle would not stop!!!

So we get to this location and we ask them if there is anything we can do about the vehicle. The lady tells me that we can get cars with winter tires for $15/day. I told her that I will take it. She then said then she had none on the lot. No other effort is made to help us. I told her that we can't even drive this vehicle in Calgary. The plan was to go to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. As for the booster seat, the price is just unbelievable at $13/day. We can get a booster seat at Walmart for $20 (regular price) any day and that's what we did. She said they can't do anything. Due to your unreliable vehicle, we had to cancel hotels and plans last minute. We planned this trip for 6 months and all because of your unreliable service and lack of service, we had to change our plans. We were looking forward to this trip. This was our first time in Alberta. It was huge disappointment and costly.

Then another thing we noticed was that the gas tank was not full when we got the vehicle. The screen showed that we had a bit less than 500 km. When we ran out. We then filled the tank and this time, the vehicle showed that we can drive 655 km with the full tank. So I think we got ripped off there. We have to return the vehicle with a full tank but you don't give us a full tank.

At one point, our car was having problems so we went into another Budget and they said "Sorry we can't help you. We are different franchise, please call the location you rented from." We were in Edmonton. The rental location was Calgary. So if I had an issue, I'd have to drive back to Calgary??? This is the first and last time I rent from Budget. We will stick with Avis as we usually do!!! I will also make sure, I spread the word about your service to my friends, family, co-workers and online reviews! I don't think anyone else needs to go through the same issues as us or even more! I normally do not take the time to provide such feedback but this was the crappiest service ever!

I rented a car from Budget via Hotwire and got a lower price. Budget states that they promise to match 3rd party sites yet are refusing to match my price. I have complained and asked to speak to a Cust Service Manager and they refuse to provide me with a name, an email or a phone number. The only thing they are willing to do is suggest that I call or email their generic call center number, which I have and has accomplished nothing. I have spoken with a dozen people who barely speak English and they have also refused to provide me with a corporate number to call. All they do is take your complaint and file it in the garbage. They are a garbage company which doesn't care about its customers. Shame on them.

We rented a car through Budget for our recent Christmas trip to the Island of Hawaii (Kona Int'l Airport). We booked in June which I highly recommend -- as you approach the holidays, prices skyrocket. Upon picking up our jeep, we were greeted and cared for via a great representative. It was rather quick and out we went. But not for long, unfortunately. At our first right turn, we realized the blinker light was out. Nothing major, so we turned around and they swapped our car out with another Jeep and off we were. Both Jeeps were rather dirty, inside and out. We take exceptional care of our own cars so this was a slight disappointment, fortunately the car wash wasn't too far away. Less than 24 hours later, we soon realized that our replacement Jeep was infested with ants. Hundreds of them. I took the Jeep back and explained that it was infested. The agent this time wasn't quite as friendly.

Apparently they did not properly check-in this Jeep as he claimed we drove 400 miles in the mere 18 or so hours that we had that car. While possible, it was definitely not from our driving as we only went to the grocery story and Costco that day. Aside from that, he swapped us Jeeps once again, this time we were reunited with our first Jeep (blinker fixed) and we were happy. Drop off was quick and painless. Although we had a few glitches, I would certainly rent through Budget in Kona again.

I rented a car to drive home in (7 hour drive). I told the company rep that I would return the car in the evening at my destination. He said "no problem, you have until the next morning." I returned the car as I said I would in the evening. BUDGET charged me a $75 fee for returning the car early! It was when I said I would return it! NEVER USE BUDGET!!!

I rented a car at the Raleigh-Durham Airport. When we got to the rental agency, there was only one person working and a fairly long line. I have Budget Fastbreak so had picked my car, etc before I got there. There was no indication that I should go in a different line. After waiting 15 minutes someone came in and mentioned fast break (my fault for not asking) and sure enough a separate line. So I was able to get out of line and get my keys and rental agreement and leave.

We got to the car and it was filthy! The seats were disgusting (I took pictures) but I wasn't going back in so we just left. Upon returning the car, there was no one to check us out. We had to go inside and give our keys at which that time, the rude person behind the counter said "did you get your mileage." Well, no we didn't. So we went back out got the mileage, came in and he said "well, now I have to go check it."

Ok really? Why didn't you just come out in the first place. This person was far more interested in watching the football game on TV than helping anyone. Now to add insult to injury - I just got a bill for Tolls (which I thought was included in the car rental). The tolls amounted to 4.65 then they charged me a 15.80 convenience fee!!! I would never ever ever rent from this company again!

I booked a car and paid for it online a month before vacation. A couple of days before leaving I wanted to add an extra day due to weather conditions. I clicked from my reservation confirmation to modify the rental. It was going to cost $380.00 for 1 additional day. This couldn't be right $380.00 for 1 day. I called the number on my confirmation, it was no longer in service. I went to their website, called two additional numbers that were out of service. Called the 800 number, the system was down so they couldn't help or provide any other options.

Finally found a location number in service who gave correct number for my pickup location. They couldn't help because I pre-paid and yes it would be an additional $380.00 for 1 day. My whole week trip was $260.00, so I was going to have to pay over $600.00 if I wanted an additional day. I wrote customer service an email because a supervisor, or service representative was not available and no one knew how to contact anyone to make a complaint. I received a form letter back stating prices change due to time and days etc. I will never use Budget again.

I rented from this company in Oakland, CA and the first two cars we got in STANK like ** and/or cigarettes. They said they would apply a coupon for the next rental and never did. The next rental was given to me with an empty tank of gas despite the contract saying that it was full. I have rented cars for ten years and have never been given a car with an empty tank, thus I didn't even realize until I was on the CA I-5 in the middle of nowhere. I am a female and it was dark. This was not only unprofessional, misleading, and untruthful, but very dangerous.

When I called to ask why the coupon from the first car was not applied they said that it was not their problem. I spoke with a sassy supervisor that was unwilling to help and basically told me to "** off". Main complaints: Providing unclean cars with fetid odor, supplying false information on their contracts, potentially endangering customers' lives, refusal to compensate customer for unprofessional practices, absolute and disgraceful professionalism when speaking with a supervisor, Alona.

NEVER again will I go to Budget Rental car. The car was $37 a day. I was an hour and a half late, and they charge $25 an HOUR. Other places I've been charge $8-12 an hour over. For another $25, I may as well keep it for another day. So I did. They take $200 off of your card, not just hold it... But take it off and it then takes 7 to 10 business days to receive the refunded amount. If they can take it off immediately, why can't you put it back on immediately? Smh... Never again will they receive my business!! Budget is definitely not for anyone on a budget!!

I rented a car for a road trip from 12/26-1/2. When I arrived in Denver to pick up the car at the airport, the representative insisted that I upgrade to an AWD/4WD vehicle since Colorado had traction laws that go into effect during the winter that require either chains which they do not allow on their cars, or an AWD/4WD vehicle. I had prepaid, but I agreed to upgrade for an additional $220 since the representative essentially told me I needed to if I were to be driving through the mountains.

I was given the car and realized a couple of days later that the car was not an AWD/4WD vehicle. I called Budget to see if they could swap out for a new car in Las Vegas and they refused. One customer service rep told me I needed to call Avis and that they could transfer their contract to Budget. This was wildly inaccurate and Avis shut me down. Budget also told me that I would be charged $200 for dropping off this car in Las Vegas instead of Denver. I argued that the only reason I had upgraded in the first place was because their rep told me I needed an AWD/4WD vehicle and then they gave me a car that was not either of those things. No one was willing to help me because apparently "They can not guarantee anything and as long as you sign their contract, you agree to whatever they want to throw in there". This is ridiculous.

Budget lied to me, screwed me over by charging me for an upgrade that wasn't given to me and then offered absolutely no help in getting me an AWD/4WD vehicle that was promised to me. Also when I finally got the receipt, it was the wrong car listed, wrong mileage, wrong rental dates, and wrong everything. I understand that Budget has policy to follow, but offer some damn customer service to the customers you screwed over. I am now risking my life and a large fine by crossing through the CO mountains without an AWD vehicle thanks to Budget. NEVER RENT FROM HERE.

Arranged for a one-way rental. When I spoke with the rep, they told me that I would have to return the car to the airport because the return point near me would be closed Sunday night when I would be returning the car. So I went 60 miles out of my way (30 miles one way) to drop at the airport just to find that there was no one at the airport either. I had to use the key drop-box. Budget claimed that I returned the car the following day and billed me more than double the agreed-to rate. They said I had no paperwork to show that I returned the car when I claimed, and they refused to review the video from the many cameras they had at the return site that would prove my case. I contacted them multiple times and disputed it through my credit card company, but Budget refuses to adjust the bill to the amount that we agreed to. Total scam. I will never use them again.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.
  • Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.
  • Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.
  • Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.
  • Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.
  • Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.
  • Best for Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

Compare Rental Cars