Budget Rent-A-Car

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I reserved my rental car online and pre-paid for it to save money. Upon arriving at the Budget rental place in Manassas, Virginia, the man at the counter insisted I get an upgrade. I informed him I did not want an upgrade it, I just wanted the rental car that I prepaid for because I needed to get going. He told me that it was only $5 day please take it. I said no. He said he would give it to me for half of that. I said no. He told me he would just give it to me for free. It was then that I realized it was the only kind of car he had available to release for rental. I agreed if it was for free I would take the car. He printed me a receipt and it shows that I owed $150. I asked him why. He said the rental car was $45 a day plus I was going to have it for two extra days. I told him the rental car upgrade was supposed to be free and I didn't owe for the two extra days. Only one, per my prepaid reservation.

He printed another receipt and I now owe $90. I asked what was the $90 for. He said he took off the upgrade, but that I still had two days that I had to pay on the rental. I told him one day was paid for and the other day should have been $34, per the proof that I had on the prepaid agreement. He told me not to worry about it, he would fix it. The next receipt now had a charge for only $39. I told him that was fine and I initialed it and signed it. As I was leaving, I realized that he had changed my return time to eight hours earlier. I told him that I needed to go could he please void that one and fix the time to eight hours later. He said no that it was already in the system and that he promised when I came back he'd make sure he did a dealer write off and only charge me the $39.

When I came back, he did not do the dealer write off and charged me $100. I reminded him of the story and that he lied, and he told me that he would have fixed it but I didn't tell him soon enough. I told him he already had a receipt printed and it already charged my card, how was I supposed to tell him. He told me to take it up with Budget. Upon calling Budget, which this must be a problem for them because they are well-versed in the answer, they said that while he discounted the vehicle he changed the time of return so that it would make up the difference in the money, knowing that I would not be back early enough.

I have contacted my bank to do an investigation, as I made the reservation through the bank. I have read hundreds of reviews that Budget does this regularly at all of their locations. Most people do not think to read reviews about car rental places, because it's a car rental company. You really should heed these warnings and use something like Thrifty or Dollar, as their reputation is so much better. Avoid Budget at all costs (which is also Avis).

I have been renting from Budget for over 5 years. I had never had any issues with renting and having the vehicle I reserved available until last week and this week. I had to attend my grandmother funeral. I reserved a full size car last week and I got dropped off at the airport in Jackson, MS but when I got there, the employee tells me they are out of vehicles and she don't know why they keep letting customers reserve rentals when we are out. Well, it's not my fault that I was allowed to reserve a vehicle when clearly there were no vehicles available. Instead of the employee trying to get me a vehicle to accommodate me for them not having the vehicle I reserved available, she tells me to go elsewhere or try Thrifty to see if they have a full size available. Then she tells me "all the other vehicle we have in the lobby is reserved for other members."

Well excuse me. I am a member as well who made reservation just like the other members. And she lied like they didn't have any more vehicles at all to rent out. I stayed 4 hours waiting because I didn't have a way from that location. So I contacted the customer service line and it took me well over an hour to speak to the right representative. When I finally spoke to them, they guaranteed that my rental that I had scheduled for the 17th of the month will be available and he will take $20 off my reservation. Ok so I took his word for it and he did apply the $20 discount. Now, the reservation for the rental was on the 17th and it was reserved almost a month ago and was scheduled to pick up on the 17th of this month. Well to my surprise, I went to pick the vehicle up which was suppose to be a SUV (Traverse) for 7 individuals.

Let's just say all I got was a Nissan Juke which doesn't fit nearly 7 peoples. I had to cancel going to my family reunion because I was told by the employee that there wasn't any SUV available because they had rented them all out for spring break. Out of a month and they didn't give a care that I had reserved this vehicle a month early and then I was charged the SUV price for a little compact car. This will be the last time I ever rent with Budget. Every since they merged with Avis, their customer service and company sucks. The representatives are rude, and they save rentals for their family to make sure they have vehicles available. I missed my grandmother funeral and I missed my family reunion all because this company don't give a care about their customers. They will never have to worry about me renting ever again from this company.

We had 17 days luxury SUV S class rental planned on driving from Seattle to San Diego. Our car was broke into at San Francisco in daytime (while we were 200 feet away for less than 10 mins to take a picture of the golden gate). After this incident, we had to swap the car at the airport. They swapped a SUV F class for us, and we drove all over nearby airports to exchange what we paid for. They refused to swap it for us! After what we went through (backpacks were stolen, iPads and stuffs) they just want to rip us off because they can! NEVER RENT FROM THIS CAR COMPANY AGAIN!

Car returned on time at 12:30 pm after several day rental and rental agreement stamped. All tolls went on my personal EZ Pass and were verified online as charged before car return. Some days later, received emails from my credit card company and Budget that I incurred a toll of $1.00 plus a $19.75 convenience fee. Reviewed toll charge online and discovered: It was charged at 2:30 pm, two hours AFTER the car was returned. The return time was altered to show 3:30 pm, three hours LATER than the actual return. I asked for and received a refund. What I think happened is that Budget transported the car to another location and incurred the toll but they have automatic software to try to charge this toll to the last user in hope that the user doesn't notice. Clearly, Budget has corporate culture issues that need to be addressed.

I rented a car on 3/10/17 for a trip I absolutely had to make on 3/11/17. I paid in advance online, arrived at the airport the next day to pick up the rental... and the counter was opening late. The representative was standing around on his phone, not paying attention to people coming up and telling them they wouldn't open until 9:00 (open was supposed to be 8:30).

I got to the counter, gave my debit card and ID and was told my credit wasn't good enough to continue the rental. I was floored! Their TOS on the website say you could be subject to a credit check, but not anything about being denied the rental if your credit isn't at a certain point (545). I asked for a refund and the rep told me to go online. He was very unsympathetic.

I called the Budget toll-free number and was told they were charging me a $150 for canceling. WHAT?! I started to cry, that news was financially devastating for me, and the rep just kept repeating himself. He told me that even though I was being charged now, I would get my rental fee PLUS the cancellation fee back. I found out later through the Budget social media group that this was misinformation. So I'm charged a fee for canceling even though I was denied the rental? No one will help me. I'm frustrated, and now everyone needs to know. What shoddy practices!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

I made a reservation online 24 hours prior to needing a simple economy vehicle (Hyundai Elantra) while my personal vehicle was in the shop for a few days, PREPAID for this vehicle and received a confirmation number, showed up the next day at my designated pick-up time, and was told they were all out of vehicles except for a Camaro.

Figuring they'd step up and do the right thing and honor my PREPAID reservation by upgrading me to the Camaro, I was abruptly told they couldn't and that I either had to pay an extra $40 per day for the Camaro or I could cancel my reservation and walk - just what one needs to hear after going through the hassle of planning ahead by making a reservation and PREPAYING for the rental in advance (presumably to guarantee the rental's availability). Oh, and just to make sure we're not mincing words here Budget, the Webster Dictionary defines "RESERVATION" as follows: "an arrangement to have something held for your use at a later time." By the way, have I mentioned that I PREPAID to have a rental available upon arrival?!?

After leaving and calling the 800 corporate number and getting transferred around, I spoke to a supervisor who stated I'd be getting a full-refund in three to five business days, and to allegedly disregard the email that arrived during our conversation advising that I was going to incur a $150 cancellation fee! I ended up calling the South Glendale Enterprise rental facility and got a nicer vehicle at a cheaper rate. Wasted about an hour of my time dealing with Budget, and as a result of this experience, will never use nor recommend Budget Rent-A-Car again. Use at your own risk; you have been warned.

I recently flew into Austin for a job interview. Decided to rent a car from Budget instead of doing SuperShuttle as I normally would when visiting friends in the area given that most, if not all, of my travel expenditures would be covered. I'm given a Jeep Grand Cherokee and advised that I must return the vehicle with a full tank or be charged. Two days later, just as I'm preparing to return the vehicle to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, I stop off at a gas station near the airport and refill. Arrive at the airport rental car return location (at approximately 5 AM) to discover that no agent is available to check me / my vehicle back in.

Make my 6:30 AM departure back home only to discover several hours later that I've been charged for failing to refuel the vehicle I had actually refueled just off the airport property. I place an immediate call to Budget Customer Service and am told (by a male customer service representative with somewhat of an attitude) that I need to provide documentation supporting my assertion that I refueled the vehicle in order for the charge ($58.22) to be refunded. Angrily, I locate this information on the website for my credit card company, print and scan this information (as I'm told screenshots would be considered inadequate), and e-mail to Budget Customer Service.

Several days later, I received an e-mail with assurances from the company that the funds would be returned in two-to-three business days. A check of my credit card statement later confirmed that the erroneously charged refueling fee had been refunded to my credit card. While I'm certainly happy to have caught the error, been able to provide documentation showing the error on the part of the company, and have the matter quickly resolved, I remained disturbed by the fact that this happened at all. Imagine how many others this has happened to with their rentals upon return. If you factored a similar charge ($58.22) times 100 cars per day, the company could be ripping off folks (who legitimately refueled their vehicles) to the tune of almost $6000 a day. That seems both insane and absurd to say the least.

Rent your car, enjoy your rental, but be sure to return with caution, and check your credit card statements vigilantly. While I'm certainly not in the poor house over the incident, think about how many times companies are simply allowed to get away with this sort of thing because people never actually check their statements. Be careful folks.

A reasonable car turns expensive. I booked through carrental8.com. Everything went smoothly. We got to Budget at the airport and they ask you if you want liability insurance saying it is State law so they completely scammed scared us into the insurance, $15 A day which adds up. We called our insurance company the next day and like someone else said we didn't need that insurance. Make sure you have all your facts before finishing the rental. We called Budget the next day less than 24 hrs. They would not refund the liability. Poor customer service the man argued and said he would refund $20,"haha", for the hassle. Still haven't seen the refund. I guess next time I won't use Budget. They say contact customer service for issues. That's a lie. They don't help!

I rented a van from London Waterloo branch one week ago and they charged my credit card. This morning (less than 24 hours from pickup time) they texted me and informed that the reservation was canceled due to security checks. I called them and they cannot give me any explanation even though I booked with them last year with no issue. I explained them we can change the reservation under my boyfriend's name but they tell me they are sold out before even cancel my reservation and refund my money, so it means my booked van was gone already. It sounds as overbooking.

After reading the terms and conditions nothing is clear about those checks so I guess that was just an excuse for their overbooking problem. Rebecca **, the branch manager was quite rude to me and told me she is not allowed to explain the reason/s why the check was not passed. After all, they didn't give me any solution to problem. So I am now without reservation, without moving and with a full house to move.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I contacted Budget Customer Service via email with my complaint, and again I got the same resoponse: "We have on file that you signed for it, so we can't help you". I then went to twitter and posted my complaint there. I got a response to email **. I emailed my story to them. Within hours, I got an email that as a courtesy they were going to refund my money and drop the charges. Not entirely pleased that I had to go through so many routes and so much back and forth to get my money back.

Avigayil of Miami, FL on

Original Review

We rented a car from Budget through Costco. The price was decent. We went to pick up the car, and I was busy with one of my kids while my husband took care of the rental. About 15 minutes after we left I looked at the receipt and noticed that the bill was for triple what we had rented for. Looking it over, I saw that somehow we had added insurance to our rental. It was after midnight, and I tried calling Budget national Customer Service. They told me I needed to call the actual rental desk. I called the rental desk. They told me I needed to come in to remove the insurance. Already being out 20+ minutes, and being very late at night, we would not have gotten to our destination until after 2AM had we turned around to take care of this. He told me I could speak to a manager. He put me on hold. After 30 minutes on hold, I gave up and tried calling back. No one picked up the phone at all. I gave up trying to call them.

The next day, I tried calling the desk again. Again, no answer. I called Costco, and they were able to put me through to the desk. I spoke to a lady, who had a manager call me back. The manager was able to finally remove the insurance. I told him that my husband had not been told that he could pick not to have the insurance. He was just given 2 different options for insurance, and was told he needed to pick one of them.

Now, a week later, I see a charge on my credit card bill for about 1.5 times the rental price from Costco. I pulled up the bill, and I see that we were charged for roadside assistance!!! My husband said he wasn't even offered Roadside assistance as an option!!! When I called up Customer Service, all they told me was that they had on file that we had requested it!!! I am really unpleased with Budget's customer service and I am hoping to be able to get my money back somehow or another. I'm not quite sure how to fight it. We definitely did NOT request roadside assistance to be added to the rental!

I just recently rented a car from Budget Rent A Car. Really pricey considering I'm under 25 years old, it added an additional $250 for the week on to my total so I ended up paying around $500. The following day after we returned the rental car, I noticed that an additional $90 had been taken out of my account. I called and they said it was because I returned the car a day late, which was false. I returned the rental car about an hour early the day that it was due. The lady on the phone even admitted to technical difficulties that had happened all day the day that our car was due. So the lady said we still had to make a claim to get my money back and that it would take about 4 business day.

Well 4 business days later and I find out that my claim had been denied. This had been an ongoing struggle to get the money back to me that was wrongfully taken. Budget scams people. I think that one out of five stars is being too generous. I had to call back an additional time because I was not about to have them take all of this money from me. The guy ended up giving me a full refund but it took about two hours on the phone with him. I am still waiting for my refund. It's been two days, I'm hoping I don't have to call again. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY.

Will never use Budget ever again. They will hold your money and then take out double when you return your car. And you should receive your other money in 7 to 10 business days!!! That's a big IF. Horrible, horrible, horrible... I've been trying to get my money they have held for days now and no one can seem to find the right answers.

I booked a car through Priceline and total for the car was 53 dollars. When I came to pick the car up at SFO, the clerk asked me about insurance. I declined coverage because my credit card covers it. He told me to sign here and there, and I thought it was all good to go. When I got my credit card statement I saw that they charged me extra 50 dollars for insurance. I guess it is my fault that I did not double-check the price at the counter and trusted the clerk when he told me to sign the papers. Will never rent through Budget again.

I reserved a vehicle, waited about 40 minutes in line at MCO airport. The rep who took my reservation mumbled everything, I declined the insurance, which he still added on. I reserved the car for 6 days and was told to drop the car off between 10:30 am and 11 am. Waited to drop my car off, the following business day I was charged additional money for taxes, and an entire day extra of insurance. The billing customer service rep was very rude and hung up on me, needless to say I would never rent from Budget again nor do I recommend it. Poor customer service and a lot of in-between the line things they do not make you aware of.

I was talking to Tonya about making a reservation and their reviews and possible charges for returning early (9:00am as opposed to 11:00am). She was trying hard to sell me but when I started asking these questions, she just hung up on me. I gave her the benefit of the doubt, if it was an accident, to call me back since I had given her both my home and cell #. No return call. Glad that I did not book with Budget to later find other unpleasant surprises! The email that she sent to me did not work when I tried to contact them with this experience. I wish I could give them a negative star. This is the email address that she sent to me: BudgetConfirmations@budgetgroup.com.

I reserved a car from Budget almost one year in advance of Jan. 31, 2017, for a period of one month. I rented so far in advance because I knew that this time period in Tucson, Arizona is the busiest of the year. Although I reserved a Hyundai Elantra or similar, I received a VW Jetta. I did not accept any additional insurance as I have always been told that if you have your own car insurance this was not necessary. First, when I picked up the car there was no one in the garage to even show me how to turn on the car lights! And there was no instruction manual in the glove compartment.

After driving the car one day, the Engine Light went on. I drove back to the airport and they gave me another car, this time a Toyota Prius. When I mentioned about the lack of instruction manual I was told that people take them out of the cars. Why would someone remove them from cars if they don't own that car? Again, no one to help, and no instruction manual. The next day, while driving on a freeway, I had my first ever tire blowout.

I was lucky I wasn't killed. All that was left of the tire was the rim! I called Budget Emergency Assistance and they sent a repair truck and the tire was changed to the "donut" tire. At the time I was about 25 miles from where I was staying. The repair person told me not to drive more than 50 miles on the temporary tire; the airport is more than 25 miles away. I called Budget and asked if they could send someone to exchange the car, being that it'd be more than 50 miles, plus the fact that this was already going to be my third car in four days!

They said I would have to pay for towing the car as they do not do that and I could ride with the tow company. I didn't do that and drove back to the airport again. The people at the desk were not sympathetic in the least. Next I got a Chevy something. Again no manual in the glove compartment. I asked an Alamo person who was in the garage if their cars came with manuals and he said all their cars did. Anyway, after two weeks with this car, it started chugging and hesitating. I made it back to the airport and again I exchanged the car (number four in less than four weeks). This time they upgraded to a Buick but I think because it was all that was available.

I turned in the car Feb. 28. The following day I receive an email that approximately $200 is being added to my bill to pay for the tire, the emergency road service, and a $25.00 "administrative fee." Astonished I called the phone number and was told that because I didn't take their insurance I was responsible for everything that happens to the car.

I also explained that I carry AAA Emergency Road services, but I thought I had to call Budget Emergency services and I had no idea that I would be charged. It seems that if I could have used my AAA! As far as the "administrative fee," that's it, no explanation. I would dispute these charges with my credit card company, but after reading previous complaints against Budget, I'm afraid my credit rating will go down if I don't pay. I posted on social media and I'm doing this, telling everyone not to use Budget, ever!

I had been researching and comparing car rental companies for my vacation with my daughter. Online reviews gave a decent score for BUDGET Rent A Car and their prices were lower than most, so I thought it was a safe choice. I placed my reservation online and instantly my account was charged the entire price, but the reservation didn't take and the online form said that they were having problems with my card information, so try again. I called the banking institution for my card and that charge had most certainly been applied. So, I did not want to put my information in again.

I called the customer service number listed on the Budget website and spoke to someone who mentioned that the reservation had been cancelled because there was a "system update" when I made my reservation. He said I would see my money back in 4-5 days. I asked how I would be compensated for this mix-up and he said that whoever else I talked to would tell me the same thing. At no point did he offer to make me a new reservation. I asked to speak with his supervisor. He said his supervisor would tell me the same thing.

After a 5 minute hold, I spoke with the supervisor and the supervisor did tell me the same thing. I asked him how he planned to compensate me for my trouble. He said that he is "reservations" and did not have the ability to do that, but would transfer me to customer service if I wanted. At no point did the supervisor of "reservations" offer to make me a new reservation.

After another few minutes on hold, I spoke to customer service. She told me that I had a "ghost reservation," that it basically put a hold on my money but kicked out the reservation. She said she could get my money to me within 24-48 hours (a little better than 4-5 days). I asked her how she planned to compensate me for all of this frustration. She said she could get me a $20 coupon if I had a profile with them. I told her I did not and she said that she couldn't help me unless I signed up with them, then called back to have my $20 coupon applied.

I mentioned to her that I did not feel confident in using their company now and that if my reservation did not take, why would creating a profile be any different? She said "Well thank you for calling Avis Budget, this is (her name). Have a nice day." (I did not understand why they needed a profile when they already got my mailing address and information from my "ghost reservation.) At no point did customer service offer to make me a new reservation. Three different people, a company holding my money hostage, yet at no point did any of them offer to make me a new reservation.

I rented a car from LAX on Sunday Feb. 26 and I am still in possession of this car but here is my complaint. 1, the computers were down when I rented the car and waited in line for almost 2 hours. The representatives were great, very friendly. They had to hand write everything, things happen but my representative breezed right through. Now, I get my keys, go out to check the car, there were multiple dents, dings and scratches on the car, when I got in, it literally smelt like someone just smoked a whole pack of cigarettes in the car with the windows ups. There were ashes on the dashboard and didn't look like it had been cleaned. I was already running 2 hours late for my check in with my unit but luckily they understood. The car is also hard to turn, like it needs power steering fluid or the fluid line was busted.

4 days after renting the car, I dropped my keys by the car, went to pick them up and saw that the front tire is almost bawled. I am in Oxnard, California and I had to drive to San Bernardino this weekend. I did not want to drive all that way on bald tires and didn't have time to drive down to LA. So, I called Oxnard airport, Ventura, Camarillo and Thousand Oaks, told every single person my problem and NONE of them had a car to exchange with me. I had them put my name on a waiting list so when they had a car available, they'd call me.

Well, 4 days later, no one has called. I ended up having to rent a SECOND car from Enterprise because I wasn't going to drive 3 hours on two bawled front tires. This is the worst experience I have ever had with renting a car. It's ridiculous. It's a 2 weeks rental, they're making money, at least give me a decent car. I don't care about luxuries of a car but I shouldn't have to be scared that I'm not going to make it from point A to point B because the tires are worn down or the steering is going to go out. This needs to be fixed before someone gets hurt.

My friend rented a 16 ft. budget truck and car carrier, in Las Cruces NM. We spent 3 days moving her to the Fort Wayne, Indiana area. We returned the truck one day early, very clean and full of gas. I had called Budget Rent-A-Car to rent a SUV from the location that we were dropping off the truck to. When I talked to that lady on the phone I informed her that I don't have a credit card but I have a American Express Debit Card with plenty of money on it. She told me that would be fine and just present the card when I pick-up the SUV. Long story short, the guy would not rent to me and said that I had to have a credit card.

So I said to him, I have $4,000 cash on me and $3,000 available on the debit and you still won't rent to me...not a chance. We were left stranded without a car and had to walk 2 miles in very harsh winter weather before we could find a warm place to get out of the cold and had call for a ride. What made it even worse I had been suffering with the worst flu I have ever experienced, should have been in the hospital. This man was the most heartless SOB I have ever met and he has no business being around other human beings.

Budget is giving me a nightmare!!! I prepaid for a rental more than two weeks ago. I am supposed to pick up the car tomorrow and I got a call from the local Budget office that the car won't be available so I should call customer service. I spent half the day yesterday getting transferred all over the place and when I talked to someone they insisted the car would be available. I pleaded with them and even talked to a supervisor to just call the local office to confirm the car will be available but they refused and kept telling me the car will be available. Nobody was picking up when I called the local office when I called them.

I let someone go to that office and talked to the rep there who again said the car won't be available. I have spent a greater part of this morning calling them again with no better results. I will keep posting to let everyone know how this ends. Budget has a policy where they fine you if you cancel a prepaid reservation and yet they are not keeping their word.

We rented two trucks from Budget, both trucks had the check engine lights on but we were told to drive them anyway. One had no air conditioning (driving to Florida) and the other broke down 5 hours into the 12 hour drive. My daughter was stranded for over 30 hours while she waited for three different mechanics, none of whom could fix the truck. Finally they offered to replace the truck and provided reloading services. Damages are not covered for lost time, hotel, meals and road side assistance is horrible. I called over 80 times in 2 days and constantly Sat on hold or was given vague answers. Nightmare company. The worst company to rent from. Moving is never fun, but this was a dangerous nightmare. As I type this my poor daughter is still stuck on the side of the road with a family emergency she has to get home to.

If I could leave a minus 10 - I would. We rented a car in Oralndo FL to Sarasota FL with another car company - starts with A ends with O. On the way back from Sarasota to Orlando we rented with Budget, a few bucks cheaper. The experience was the complete OPPOSITE from my awesome A___O experience. The agent at the counter was RUDE and more. I am a working woman with a new business and money is tight.

So imagine how shocked I was when the agent told me: A: Going to Orlando? We call interstate 4 - KILL 4. (Thanks for the heads up - but I am 56 - lived in Chicago and well aware of the drive as I came from Orlando to Sarasota on it last week.) I felt I had to explain myself. Then after processing my reservation which I picked the least expensive car at the best rate online - exclaimed "WOW - Big Spender". Really? I was shocked. Then as he continued the paperwork, complained about a previous customer with a co-worker. Very unprofessional. I will never choose Budget again. GO AL__MO.

Shortly after I rented a car from a Budget airport office, I discovered the front left tire had a slow leak. I brought the car to a local Budget office (not the airport office) and had a garage across the street examine the tire. I thought I'd run over a nail or other sharp object and was prepared to pay for the tire repair. However, the garage folks told me (and Budget office staff) that the leak was from a previous "mushroom" plug patch and that the tire was defective and couldn't be repaired.

The local Budget staff apologized for renting me a car with a defective tire, asked me to sign an incident form and issued a replacement car. After I returned replacement rental car to the Budget airport office, Budget billed my credit card for a new tire plus one-way fees plus administrative fees. I contacted Budget head office and asked them to look at the incident form and/or to contact the local Budget office. Budget head office refused my request and said I was responsible for all costs as billed. On the upside, my credit card company has so far declined Budget's request for payment.

I rented a car from Budget at the Jacksonville International airport on Feb 3 2017 at about 5:30 PM. I was told I have to buy the supplemental liability insurance because of a mandatory Florida state law. I could not get the car unless I paid this, so I paid for the insurance. I already have private USAA insurance which provides liability insurance for rental cars. My USAA credit card also provides some coverage. The cost was almost $15 per day. In doing further research I found there is no such mandatory Florida State Law and this appears to be a rather common complaint. Management may incentivise in some way this type of behavior.

If you use one credit card to hold the account & check out using the same card, you should have no problem. But beware! If you try to pay using any sort of prepaid card, you will get double-charged! Customer Service took me to Corporate, where I talked with Darrel, who was MUCH less than helpful. He showed no compassion that we were charged on our personal card as well as our prepaid card. When I tried to get him on a conference call with the card company, he hung up! I got them successfully talking for 5 minutes before he hung up again! Awful customer service, and completely inadequate employees who don't know how to run their card system, thus resulting in us getting charged twice! The good news? Our funds will get released back to us in 60 days! Ha. To sum it up: Feel free to try to use Budget, but if anything goes wrong, THEY WON'T HELP, and won't care.

Dealing with Budget Car Rental for the 1st & last time! Initially I rented a car from them for 24hrs which is about $100. I will take fault for oversleeping and missing my return time by 15-20 mins, which of course we would expect a late charge so I'll accept that $60, but I called the office and told the representative I will be extending the rental; figure the extra $100/day would have me at $200 which would be a waste for 2 days when Budget offers the same vehicle at $335.99 for the week, so I told them I will keep the car instead, her replied no problem.

1 week later (today 2/17/17), I'm on time with the return and get hit with a total bill of $640.13 after taxes!!! Of course I pay it, go home and immediately start playing the pass the buck game with customer service as I try to find an explanation. After literally the 4th c/s number I got passed around to, the rep Robert wasn't able to help at all so I was transferred to Regina the "floor Manager". I explain the situation to her and asked for a breakdown. She told me $10 was an extension fee, $60 late fee, $60 misc fee which turned out to be for a letter that they claim they sent me requesting for me to return the vehicle, oh and the sneaky $52.38 airport fee for picking up the vehicle from the airport instead of driving literally 20 mins to the retail location.

My question was if I was charged an extension fee then how am I being charged the additional $60 misc fee for a letter that should have never went out because I called and received a extension. Regina stated my credit card didn't go through when they tried to charge it. My response was If it never went through why was I told yes for the extension and charged for it?? She's stumped then offers to go half with me on 1 late fee and return $30 plus tax. After being robbed for about $200 that's not an acceptable solution to this problem when clearly I called and was charged for an extension. I'll own the $10 extension fee and the $60 late fee for being 15 mins late but why the extra?? Did I miss something?

I rented a car from Budget for my vacation in Kauai, HI. I paid in full for my rental car upon my return. One month later, Budget charged my credit card $400 US (I'm Canadian so it's even worse) because I got the car keys WET. They did not invoice me or talk to me before charging my credit card and would not remove the charge when I complained. DON'T RENT FROM BUDGET IN KAUAI!!!

If you want to change the time that you pick up the car, they will charge you a fee. They do not tell you about the fee till after you paid the money to rent the car. They don't have a grace period for returning the car late or picking it up, like other car rental places do. I will spend more money next time and go to the ones that have this.

Budget Car Reservation Arkansas - I contacted Budget Rental to inquire about a reservation using a Visa Bank Card since the website states this form of payment is accepted. I was advised there will be an additional hold in addition to the car rental fee. The pay now option was available and the Visa bank card was accepted as a form of payment. I arrived at the car rental location 3 hours later and was advised a credit check was needed because I did not have a "Credit Card", however my bank card had already been charged when I checked my bank account. The rep then stated I would need 2 forms of payments, meaning 2 cards on file, which I had 2 Visa bank cards in "My" name. However, I still was not able to rent the vehicle, which is unbelievable seeing that even car insurance claims are not this difficult and I CHOOSE not use credit cards.

I even offered to pay Cash but it is not accepted. I was appalled that the company actually charged my card without providing services. As of now my account shows this account charge. I contacted customer service and the rep stated they would try to refund me the full amount. Full amount? I did not receive any rental services and still do not know why since the rep could not explain. My vehicle needs repair and this was the reason for the need of a rental car. I received an email that stated the reservation had been canceled after speaking to the rep. I then received an email stating I would receive an email MINUS $150.00, pardon me? Once again I never received services from this company Budget Car rental and this was all in one day within 2 hours.

In the overnight hours, I received another email stating my vehicle was ready for pickup "again" after they refused to rent me a vehicle, after I contacted customer service and asked for my funds to be refunded immediately since I should not have been charged until the entire process was complete. This is VERY suspicious to me and now I will have to file a complaint against Budget Rental. This should not be legal to charge any consumer before services are rendered. I should have read the reviews prior to wasting cab fare and my time. Absolutely horrible service, HORRIBLE.

Everything was fine except we were vacationing in St. Croix for the first time and it would have been nice if they had provided some guidance regarding what type of car we should rent for the area in which we would be traveling. We might have made a more appropriate choice for our needs, but were unfamiliar with the area.

Compare Rental Cars