2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.63/5

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2019

I have rented Budget the past couple years for my annual trip after beginning to have less customer friendly experiences with other companies. Today, I was delayed on a flight from Chicago to Seattle due to storms. Due to being a Sunday, the offsite location where I had rented from closed early. A nice guy named Daniel informed me all other offsite locations were booked. When I looked online the SeaTac airport had outrageous fees and I would have probably shopped at another company offsite. Instead your representative Daniel was able to secure a SeaTac pickup for nearly the same price and it was for a full size up from an intermediate. Because of this experience, I will share my story and will look to Budget first, the next time I travel.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I had to change the return of my vehicle location due to my grandmother passing away. Since I would be traveling internationally but would be returning to the out of state location before needing to drive back home I called Budget and was told there would be a $348 fee for returning the vehicle to a different place. I was very upset given all the expenses I was already incurring unexpectedly. I did get the runaround the first attempt at getting the fee waived but I called back and spoke to a gentlemen (I wish I could remember his name) and he was beyond empathetic and helpful! He explained that with proof I could get the fee waived. He provided me with the steps to the process and was very patient.

I rent with Budget often for personal and work travel, but this experience during such a difficult time made me a loyal customer. Even when they are slightly higher priced (which is not often the case) I prefer them. I never write reviews but I feel it’s important to highlight when things go right just like we are so quick to do so when they go wrong.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Budget in Las Vegas, Montana, Florida is the best service. Budget Rentals in New York is a nightmare. Even to the point of being uncooperative. Probably due to many people renting cars daily and having other issues besides just renting the car, i.e., credit card issues, debit card issues, et al. Staff not as pleasant and helpful and professional as in other areas named above. I assume that the Budget in NYC is such a busy remote place and you can get lost finding the one at JFK Airport. LGA is more conveniently located and easier to find and you are able to park your own car in the nearby parking areas.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I love Budget Rent-A-Car. They are my favorite Rent-A-Car company. Perfect prices, good customer service and my favorite part is that not only do they have good cars, but the cars aren't the base trim. They are always top of the line or near top of the line trims. I have no complaints, maybe just a minor nit-pick and that is they should try to get more cars with sunroofs. Only like the more expensive cars (Volvo XC90, GMC Yukon XL, etc) have sunroofs. But that doesn't matter, I rented 13 cars from them last year (2018) and now in 2019 I'm already by the 3rd one. I love Budget! I hope they never change.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I rent from Budget about every two weeks or so for work - mostly in Phoenix. This past week I had to go to the counter because there was a mix up with my Fastbreak number. While there, I witnessed, a very rude and arrogant customer complaining about the prices. He proceeded to talk down to the rep as if the rep created the price list. He either wanted something free/price reduction and thought being loud would work - or - he is just a disrespectful person that needs to learn some manners.

Either way, kudos to Nathan, and the manager that had to get involved, for remaining professional and courteous. I did not have the same patience as they did and after the man looked at me and tried to get me involved, I said what every other person within hearing distance wanted to say to him - but I won’t repeat it here. Anyway, I’ve never had a negative experience with Budget and employees are always super nice, especially at Phoenix and San Antonio Airports. And to the guy from Florida - hopefully you can learn how to treat hard working people with a little more respect or I won’t be the last person to call you out on it. Talking to Jesus might help you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I had a prepaid and confirmed car rental agreement for a car in Texas. Denied my car rental. Left me stranded with no transportation. Had to fight to get a full refund. They will not pay extra costs but they have lots of apologies. I incurred additional costs of $150 as a result of no transportation not to mention the ruined vacation. Their Customer Care Representatives give lots of sympathy and apologies but very little action.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

The website noted the Budget location I was renting a car from was open until 1 p.m. on Dec. 31 (New Year's eve). But when I arrived at 12:15 p.m. to drop off the rental they were already closed with a sign noting they would not reopen until Jan. 2. I called Budget's customer service and they told me to turn it in at their airport location in order to avoid being charged for two more days.

I explained that the airport was 30-45 minutes away and that this would be inconvenient and costly because I would have to get a Lyft or Uber ride back home unless they would provide me with a ride instead. Neither the customer service rep nor the person at the airport counter was willing to provide me transportation or a $30 credit to cover my expense. Pathetic customer service. It's not like my request was unreasonable or that I had done anything wrong. It was totally Budget's fault and they wouldn't even take responsibility and do the right thing. From now on Enterprise will get my business only.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

WARNING, I was disgusted with the service and treatment from Budget Rental Car. Several weeks prior to arriving at Baltimore Airport (BWI), I went online and prepaid in full for a 7 seater Ford Explorer. I also completed the Fastbreak so that I would not have to wait long for the vehicle. On 12/26/2019, we arrived at the front counter of Budget Rental Car and was told that I completed the Fastbreak and that the vehicle would be waiting for me outside.

We exited the building to wait for the vehicle. Approximately 35 minutes later, an employee drives up with a 4 seater Jeep Compass 4X4. I told the employee that we prepaid for a 7 seater and he tells me that he would call a manager. Approximately 10 minutes later, Operation Manager Daniel ** appears and tells me that they rented all the 7 seater vans and SUVs. Mr. ** then tells me, “We are like the Airlines, and we take reservations with no promises”. I told Mr. ** that I did not need a 4X4 and he stated that he could not adjust the price to a non-4X4 vehicle until I returned the vehicle. I believed Mr. ** and took the vehicle.

We ended up renting 2 vehicle because we did not all fit in 1 vehicle. On 1/2/2020, I returned the vehicle to Budget. On 1/3/2020, I called the Budget Rental Car number and spoke with Ms. **, ID **, who told me that the price was adjusted from a 7 seater that I prepaid to the regular price of a 4 seater, 4X4 SUV. Ms. ** was rude and refused to listen to me. After several minutes speaking with Ms. **, I requested a supervisor. Ms. ** placed me on hold for approximately 1 minute and returned to tell me that there were “no supervisors available today.” THE MORAL of the story is that IF YOU NEED a 7 SEATER VEHICLE, BUDGET RENTAL CAR will NOT PROMISE a 7 SEATER, EVEN IF YOU PREPAID FOR ONE.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

My experience today at Abbotsford Budget/Avis was so bizarre I feel it’s important to leave a review to warn others. Folks, use Enterprise - the manager at this location is not an honest person. I rented a car for 8 days in Abbotsford, and my initial impression was so great - clean, easy, friendly. On day 5 there was a lot of snow, so I didn’t drive at all.

The next day I drove the car and the sensor warning lights were all blinking. I assumed it was possibly because of the ice and cold, parked it, and borrowed a vehicle from a friend. When it was the same the next day, I called Budget to let them know (I wasn’t driving the car as I didn’t feel safe). I spoke to the manager and explained what happened. He was nice and explained that it was probably frozen sensors (as I had thought), and said it was not a problem. I told him (several times) I would not drive it like that as I had borrowed a car, but would return it back the next day. He was agreeable and friendly and said the car was fine, it wasn’t a problem.

But when I returned the car things got very weird. I spoke with the same manager. I brought up our conversation, he remembered me and repeated the same reassurances. Everything was cool... until I asked him if he could do anything for me. I think it was a reasonable question, especially as I had paid for several days for a car I didn’t feel safe to drive.

I wasn’t demanding or entitled, honestly it was just a question. But immediately his entire tone changed. He became very hostile and started loudly blaming me, talking over me, and saying this was my fault for not calling immediately. (This was a total reversal of what he said just moments before, as well as earlier on the phone when he assured me I was doing the right thing.) I reminded him again that I HAD called him, and had even told him on the phone that I was worried about being blamed for the car malfunctioning. His raised voice and accusations were incredibly embarrassing as there were other customers in line. I was nearly in tears. I’m still so confused at this behaviour.

Had he simply spoken to me with normal person-to-person respect I probably wouldn’t be leaving this review, but his behaviour was so far below a professional standard or even just basic customer service. He was totally fine with me paying for 3 days of a broken car that I had let him know about in advance. He told me there was nothing he could do, said to go ahead and complain to whoever I want, it was my own fault this happened for not calling. This person is a bully. I work in customer service myself, and I have never seen a manager behave in this way. There isn’t much at this point that I can do other than warn others to avoid.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!! NEVER COMING BACK TO BUDGET!!!! This was my first time experience with Budget renting a car. I did had a reservation with full payment in advance. After reaching the pick up location, the rep said "I am replacing Andrew here and I dont have any cars in my lot". He said the same thing again and again unless trying to help us out. Then my husband called the customer care number where we had Louis apologizing and suggesting the nearest location as PHL airport sarcastically which is just 60 minutes away also paying additional $150. I am so pissed at Budget and its employees who did not help but even did not care to let us know by calling us or emailing us about their situation of not having cars. What kind of out dated system that is where the customer relies for its needs. Moreover the customer service was like 'pathetic'.

Not sure about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Rental Cars for you.

Budget Rent-A-Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

• Best for: Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information