1.16/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Need a good rental car company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 23, 2017

1422 Budget Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Prepaid online. Car in Ford Mustang category. Agent tried to give me a VW Beetle "same class." She said if I wanted a similar car as paid for I’d have to walk to another terminal @ MCO. This was after waiting 1/2 hr in line at 1 am. 2 agents at counter, 15 people in line, 3rd agent got out and quickly processed others. The other 2 were very slow. When I complained the agent said it came at a good time! So when I pointed out the Mustang was more of an intermediate car, and VW compact. She said she didn’t know how they classify the cars. Finally after a tense and unpleasant interaction, I ended up with Ford Escape? The agent then told her coworker that she needed a break due to being stressed. I guess you’re expected to just pay and accept their BS. Never Budget again!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I rented a car for November 4th to November 12. I called on the 6th to say I would be returning the car 2 days early and asked if I can get a refund. I was told no problem, just return and they will make the adjustment at that time. I returned the car 2 days early and she made the adjustment and said she would email me my invoice. I looked on my visa November 22nd and still no refund. I called and the Alex from customer service said they don't refund anymore. I told him it was on my invoice, he said that was a mistake and they meant to take that out of there. He laughed and hung up! First I thought I had the wrong number and was pranked as I couldn't believe how he dealt with it! Never again with Budget! They also wrote 100 km less on the invoice than what was actually on the car! Didn't affect me because I didn't go over the free km, but for someone that does go over, that could add up!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I just rented a premium suv, My experience was horrible. Yadira at the Budget counter needed a major crash course of attitude adjustment or needs to be fired. I’ve already called Expedia and I’m also going to help them. Her attitude was terrifying. My twin boys sat in the car and was wondering why the lady was so mean, if it wasn’t last minute I would have given the car back. It’s Thanksgiving. I can’t rent anywhere else. If you ever go to Budget Rent-A-Car in John Wayne airport in Orange County and see Yadira, please leave!!! Never again!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Rented a car at Phoenix Airport; pre-paid. It took over two hours in line to get to an agent. Then, when I turned the car in early, they confirmed my charges would be $214.41 and there would be a refund on the prepaid amount of $336.56. Now, Budget is refusing to process the refund because I booked in advance online. Customer rep said "too bad". Never experienced such Poor customer service, deceptive practices, and outright dishonesty.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I had a car reserved and paid for. I had a death in the family and had to modify the reservation to pick up two days early. I went about dealing with my loss. I went to go pick up my rental and was told the date of pick up still remained the same. I called Budget they told me it would cost me over 900.00 to get it two days early. I canceled the reservation was charged $50.00. I rented at a small airport. The representative suggested I just go through Avis. I reserved my Avis car to pick up immediately and for the duration I needed. Guess what? It was $50.00 cheaper. $900 plus $274 is ridiculous. I will NEVER rent from Budget ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My husband had to go to Louisville for business. We opted for the prepaid option on an economy car. When my husband arrived at the Louisville airport Budget, they said that they had NO cars at all and that he would have to wait for a car to come in. This is completely unacceptable! They should not be able to accept a reservation and prepayment if they do not have the cars available. This has cost us time, and money as my husband was supposed to be there for a business meeting and was extremely late. This is extremely unethical and should be illegal to take a customer's money and not deliver the product. NEVER use Budget.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Rented a SUV that said 4WD and paid online. After paying for amount a email came in saying a different SUV with no 4WD so I called to question the email. They said they can not guarantee a 4WD. I said that's why I rented because we needed a 4WD for the mountains. Nowhere on the rental page said cannot guarantee 4WD just that type of SUV or similar. They should not list 4WD if they can't rent it. Now I want my money back and they said they can give everything but $50 because I paid up front. BAD POLICY BUDGET.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I utilized Budget Retail in McKinney, TX, for a car rental in May. We did the Walmart around and all was semi okay. I dropped off the vehicle and left. Weeks later, I began receiving invoices for a $254 fee described as their cleaning fee. So, I did what the document said... 'for questions call...' They gave me no information. Instead, they told me I had to call the local office. The guy there, Kiran, or something like that (which they never answer so I had to drive back to their office), said that the fee was because of a dent and that the car reportedly had 'lots of sand as if I had gone to [LOC].' I told him the dent was indicated on the walk around and asked about the sand. He didn't asked me any information but just said, nonchalantly, 'oh, then they'll take the dent off and the DFW location reported the sand when they took the car for cleaning'.

#1, how are you going to know who to tell "them/they" to remove the dent from if he asked no details from me the customer; #2, a different location that reported sand, it wasn't even the McKinney location, so how do I know they even got the vehicle right in charging. The local office suggested I call the 1800#, again, which I did. That rep could not provide me with answers, and sent me back to the local office. I went back and forth like their personal ping pong ball. Then I received another letter that my rental privileges had been suspended... Big loss! Their next step was to just charge me. When I called a number I found to an Oklahoma office, the lady I spoke on a Saturday morning, she immediately, upon answering, said that all their systems were down, but could try and help me.

I explained the situation to her and she said they would have sent me a letter telling me they were going to charge me for the fee. THAT NEVER HAPPENED. Then she took my rental agreement number and information and said she'd send me all that I was asking for (cleaning report to prove that sand). THAT NEVER Happened. I even sent letters to their corporate office in New Jersey and their billing office that their practices were sneaky, not fair to the consumer and misleading. No response. I not only asked for the cleaning fee to be dropped, I asked for a reimbursement of my rental. This company deserves their low rating.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017
Overcharging. Extra day charge is in contract 77.67 and not 104.00. 104.00 rate is one way rate that cannot be applied every day. Concession Recover Fee -

Budget did not call or text. Did not responded my call and I waited approx 30 minute in call queue before dropping off. Why should I pay this charge if they cannot run their customer care properly.

Bad Customer Experience. I was forced to book the car online from their rental office as agent did not booked the car from his desk though there was no one in queue. I have order Intermediate SUV and not compact car. The charges applied is of SUV but forced me to take compact car i.e Ford Focus. I asked and tried to clarify on return time but agent said there is no issue if I return car within 24 Hrs (that I did) for daily rental, still they charged extra day. I called up Budget customer care twice (once hold for approx 30 minutes and once 5 minutes from my number - **) so can return car on nearby location but did not get back any response other than waiting in call queue. If call has been answered by Budget I may not have return the car after office hours. I hold the rental car for approx 13 hours before dropping off and should not be charged for Budget no response.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I rented a car at Budget at Inverness Airport for the period of October 7, 2017 to October 13, 2017 (Category B) and prepaid the fee. The Budget counter at Inverness airport was serving customers of both, Avis and Budget and there were only two staff to serve about 20 customers. So I had to cue for about 90 minutes to get the car. When I got the car, I noticed that it was dirty inside and outside, that it had a few scratches that were not marked on the contract and, worst, that the tires were flat. I informed the staff of all of this.

I was offered an upgrade for free which was extremely nice but as I wanted to travel to the Isle of Skye with narrow and winding roads and as I have excluded any extra insurance coverage, I preferred the car which I booked and prepaid. As there were only two cars left at the station when I finally got the car - the one I booked and the one I was offered as an alternative - I had to wait for another 40 minutes until I got the key after it was cleaned. After driving for about an hour, the alarm sign on the dashboard that the tires have not sufficient pressures started flashing (although I informed the station that the tires have not sufficient pressure). It was quite a challenge to find a gas station in the Scottish Highlands to get air.

When I returned the car in Glasgow, I complained about the experience in Inverness and the person in charge recorded all in the system. I was told to get a call from a representative of Budget and a compensation but it is not really a surprise that yet (more than 3 weeks after I returned the car) no one ever call. I must say that the staff specifically in Inverness but also in Glasgow was extremely friendly and helpful but when Budget is organized the way I experienced this firm, even the most friendly staff cannot help. Conclusion: Budget no thank you, never ever again. There is National just next to Budget/Avis with a large counter and sufficient staff to help the customers.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I've been trying to get a hold of someone from Budget to get my lost item back. I've called the 888 number and they have a lost and found option 5, where you can leave a message but no one gets back to you! I've called customer service so that I could actually speak to someone and he just told me I have to call the number back, press 5 and leave a message. Obviously if that worked, I wouldn't be calling. So he said he'd transfer me to a supervisor, which I highly doubt one exists because I've been on hold for over 30 minutes with them now. I'm never using Budget again.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Overheating, smoking car = $700+ for 1 week rental - When the car started overheating at stoplights a few miles from my destination hotel I knew I would be calling Budget. After getting passed around I eventually talked to someone in roadside service who offered me the option to stand outside in the middle of the night and weight for a tow truck, figure out the closest Budget location and drive it there, or go to one of the 3 local auto supply stores, buy some coolant and put it in myself or if I couldn't handle that, the people in the auto supply store would do it for me. NOT TRUE. The auto supply people were outraged I had been told this. I bought the coolant, put it in and it seem like it worked until the next day when a 1.5 hour drive became a 4 hour drive.

By the time we got to the next stop on our journey I resolved to get up first thing, pour more coolant in the car and drive the 1.5 miles to National Airport to exchange the car. The car temp was 64 degrees when I turned it on and when I hit the 1.0 mile mark (the exit to National) the car started filling with smoke and alarm sounding as the car temp hit 248 degrees. I rolled down the windows and pulled into the Budget drop off area in tears of anger. How dare they give me a Chevy Intrepid with 30k miles on it that overheats like a 1974 death trap! How dare they talk to me like I am an idiot! And then, it got worse. I was LECTURED by the staff who approached by car, then LECTURED by the man who was supposed to issue me a replacement vehicle and told that I would not be able to file any kind of complaint or negotiate any adjustments until I returned all vehicles.

When I returned the vehicle they charged me an additional $200+ on top of my prepaid rental (completed through the Budget website). When I called to file a complaint the person told me all he could do is refund me $15 for the coolant and $100 off my rental... I AM SO ANGRY... my father is disabled and my 16 year old nephew had their lives in my hands and instead of getting a safe, functioning new car I got a heap. I never want to drive a Chevy again either... in this day and age how the heck can a car fail at the level this one did and still be driven anywhere?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I made a reservation to rent a Subaru Legacy/or similar at the St. Pete's Beach Budget Rent-A-Car agency. Upon arrival I was told I was being rented a Chevy Cruze. When I asked where the Subaru I reserved I was told the ad said "or similar" and I was lucky to get any car. According to the woman working there they have never had a Subaru for rent. In my opinion a Chevy Cruze is about as similar to a Subaru Legacy as a Ford Maverick would be (similar in size only). Upon returning the car I was charged a 20.00 fee for picking it up at the hotel. I'm pretty sure nothing was said about that when I made the reservation. The rental office was at the hotel. Don't rent anything from this outfit.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Rented from them months ago. Received a phone call and letter from a COLLECTION agency saying we owed an additional $400 for "damages". We returned the car in perfect condition and got a receipt to prove it. Never heard a word from Budget, and next thing I know we are referred to a collection agency for alleged damages to the car. To add insult to injury, when I called Budget to try and find out details they refused to even tell me which rental and what the "alleged damages were. STAY AWAY from Budget and AVIS (same companies!!). They are true crooks! Dollar and Hertz much more reputable.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

My wife and I are both senior citizens. We flew from Florida to NY Laguardia, pick up a rental from Budget Car Rental. Stop to see a friend in the Bronx and on our way to our hotel in White Plains the low tire pressure light came. We pulled the car into a BP service station. Tire went completely flat. I tried putting air in but came. Open the trunk, no spare tire. 6:00 pm called roadside assistance. After 29 phone calls and 2 texts, a tow truck showed up at 2:45 am after almost waiting for 9 hours on top of missing the wedding and not getting to the hotel in White Plains until after 4 am. I was told a supervisor would contact me in 24 hours. After one week I called them just to be offered a 50 dollar rebate. That's pretty insulting after missing the wedding, prepaying for hotel room that we didn't get to until after 4 am. Never will use Budget again. Did find until after this fiasco that their customer service rating is 1.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Having made a Budget car rental thru Costco - arriving at LAX at 8:30 PM - follow signs to car rental shuttles - as we exit the baggage claim area - a Budget shuttle is driving by in the furthest LEFT Lane (furthest away from the Car Rental Shuttle area). Waiting over 40 minutes - we see at least 4 or 5 trips by all other car rental companies including Fox, Hertz, Enterprise, Dollar/Thrifty, etc - and finally a Budget rental drives by - this time in the 2nd Right LANE. Screaming at top of my voice - can't get the attention of the driver - who pulls over about 2 curb areas down from where we are standing. Of course we can't run to the location to catch him.

After repeated calls to the local budget rental number (of course NO ANSWER, Left Message, no response) and multiple calls to the national 800 # trying to get supervisor - ANOTHER Budget shuttle - again in the 2nd Right LANE - had to flag down and scream to get the drivers attention. Finally he pulls over and picks us up. No help with the luggage. This driver was still DROPPING people on the baggage claim level. Finally gets us to the rental center. Good thing we had FASTBREAK - cause NO ONE was around. Grab what we think is the car we rented - then have to WAIT for the one checkout person to finally clear us out of the LOT. A good HOUR after departing baggage claim - we are now on our way home (a 2 hour drive from LAX).

NEVER RENT FROM THE FARCE of a COMPANY (google all their owned partners. STAY AWAY - only corporate GREED here!!!). No idea of customer service, no desire to provide customer service, No supervisor of Shuttle drivers - their practices, their interactions with customers, the actual rental reservations vs passages info - which airline - what time - which baggage claim door). STAY AWAY.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I reserved a car for $97 from Baltimore to Philly, the total two hour drive would cost about $124, I picked up the car and initialed and signed, but I never got my copy of the "contract". I asked if the $97 was the confirmed rate, "Oh yes" the thief said. I have rented cars before and at BWI in fact moments before picking up my car at Budget I dropped off a car at National that I rented for a month for a total cost of $989. Well I took off for a conference in Philadelphia with my young son, stopped to have lunch with a friend arrived in Philadelphia filled the tank up and went to drop off car at Budget car rental. I took a photo of mileage and full indicator.

When I went to turn in key and pay my $124 I was presented with a $1735.00 bill!!! I said, "There was a mistake", they asked if I came from San Antonio Texas, this was so ridiculous I thought it was just a mistake, when they said I signed and initialed all these different charges I showed them my reservation confirmation for $97 from BWI to Philadelphia a less than two hour drive. They said I had to pay, I was told I was put in as a corporate rate for UPS, charged a 30 day rental fee, charged by the mile, charged BY THE MINUTE! charged for one day extra insurance, charged for a full tank of gas, also I was to pick up car on 8-18-17 and drop off the next day 8-19-17.

I actually looked around for the camera because I was sure it was a joke and I was on a comedy prank show. The women in the office called their corporate office who would not budge, I even heard one woman in the next room say, "I can't send a woman with her young son out into a city she does not know with a $1700 bill for a two hour car rental!" Two hours later the manager managed to drop the bill to about $148, about $24 more than I was confirmed on my reservation.

Our plans to visit some sites were ruined and I was exhausted and almost canceled my credit card to avoid being ripped off further by Jean (a man) that had my info at his fingertips at BWI BUDGET. They even called BWI and spoke to "Jean" who did not see anything wrong with the bill. I did tell Budget I would not pay. They responded with they would sue me and because I signed the contract I would lose.

I am a teacher, my son's father passed away, I raised my son as a single mother, I have a disabled sister and mother that live with me, Jean and Budget car rental were going to rob me. Thank goodness for the women at Budget in Philadelphia that took two hours on the phone without a break to take care of this matter. BUT SHAME ON BUDGET FOR NOT BELIEVING THEIR CUSTOMERS AND FOR BELIEVING THE THIEF AT BWI! Also Budget and other car rental companies have/more than one rental. National and Alamo I believe are the same companies. By the way National at BWI were very good.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I rented a Jeep Wrangler from Budget in July while on a trip to Colorado. While removing the back window the zipper head came off the zipper due to there not being the stop at the end of the zipper. I attempted to get the zipper head back on over and over but was not able to. I ended up with a cold drive to the airport without having the window attached and when turning in the jeep I gave the Budget attendant the zipper head and explained what had happened. I just got a bill from Budget for $1513.98 for damage to the soft top!!?? When I called Budget to dispute the cost they told me to call my credit card company. Fortunately my credit card company is disputing and refunding me the cost but I will never use Budget Rent-A-Car again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I arrived in Maui, Saturday Oct 7 at 7 PM. I had a car reserved. When I got to the car pick-up office, the lobby was full of people. The counter had 16 customer service stations. Budget had 3 people working. I stood in line for over two hours. They made my 81 year old mother wait over two hours. Budget is a joke imitating a farce masquerading as a business. I will never do business with Budget again.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I rented a moving truck out of Charlottesville, Virginia. When I picked up the truck the inside was a little dirty but I didn't mind. I had no complaints. I was making a journey across the country to Washington State. The truck ran great. No issues. I made it to my destination in Washington state and I thought I would clean up the truck before returning it as I thought I would incur a charge if I didn't. First I thought I would wash it then I started to vacuum. When I opened the glove box to empty it out and vacuum it there were marijuana seeds and stems in the bottom seam of the hinge and the door.

This is a huge issue considering that if I would have been pulled over and inspected by an officer they would have torn apart my truck. Being a Veteran this could have affected my benefits If things would have arose. I was infuriated so I called the company and said something about it to the representative about their post use inspections. The representative said, "I am sorry for the inconvenience." Eventually this conversation ended in a 90 dollar rebate which I felt was far less than what I deserved. I have waited a couple weeks to see if I would get a return call from a manager which I have yet to receive. I am extremely dissatisfied with my experience with this company and they will never see my business again.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

We signed up to rent a car through Priceline (great to deal with!) and assigned a rental through Budget. When we responded to pick up the vehicle at Nashville Airport, the employee said she had “an amazing deal for us” and would only charge us $7 more to our $25 we already paid, so we agreed to pay $32 per day. Little did we know it wasn’t $7 a day extra, it was $37 a day, so we were charged an extra $148 on top of the $150+ we already paid. A few days after we returned the car the extra $233 was charged to the card. I have talked to two different employees and I was basically called a liar because they don’t “trust” what people say. On top of it all they charged us for gas after we returned the car completely full, so they got an extra $40.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We got airline tickets and a rental car on 9/4/17 for a 9/29/17 trip through ARRP using a Budget Rent-A-Car. Once we arrived at our destination we had to stand in line well over an hour to get to someone to get our car. Then we were told they didn't have the car we requested, they did upgrade us to a piece of crap and told we would have to walk to another terminal to get the car as it was not at the same location we were. We told them we did not need insurance, however 5 days later we received a charge on our credit card and when I called asking what the charge was for I was told it was for insurance. Finally got them to say they would refund the extra charge, will see if that ever happens. Should have just paid for a taxi and saved the headaches. After looking at reviews on Consumer Affairs am also disappointed with ARRP with recommending and working with this Company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Rented a Nissan Versa from them, did my walk around with the vehicle. There were numerous scratches and dents on the car. Went back to the rental desk and ask them to put a note on about it. They said they will make a note of it. I took the car and while driving got a flat, they sent out a tow truck to change the tire. I looked at some of the other tires and felt they needed to be changed as well so I took the vehicle back to Budget to get an exchange. About a month later I got a $721 bill from them saying they repaired all the dents and scratches. There was also a broken windshield which was not there when I returned it. They are making me pay for things I did not even do. Do not rent from these clowns, you will regret it.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Everything was great. Quick & easy booking, great price, easy pickup, great car, easy drop off etc. And then 2 day after we returned the car we were charged again plus more. They charged us another near $600. Then after we called to find out what the hell they were doing the customer service guy refused to take responsibility for the company, telling us that our bank is at fault as they are the reason they couldn't return the money for 30days. Umm?!?! Why the hell did you take it in the first place?! That's the problem, not our bank's policies! Furious!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Terrible!!! The customer service was horrible from the start... and to top it off, once I returned the car, I left my gate (remote) and my garage (remote) in the vehicle. I called as I realized it, and they told me (after numerous times calling & being fed BS) that they throw all lost remotes in a bin and that I can come down and search through the bin. Wtf!!! I'm from out of state. You don't tag lost items or bag them?!! So unprofessional... will not rent from there again. Point, blank, period!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

We had a very, very bad experience in Copenhagen Airport, Denmark today. We had rented a car for 1 day for some 100 USD. When we came to the airport, they had changed the rules and wanted us to pay some 400 USD for 1 day. The service assistant, Claudia (Avis agent) - a very rude person - refused to acknowledge our booking and mentioned - that because we were from Denmark we had to pay 4 times the price we had booked it for. She mentioned we should have read what was written in "small letters". We checked our e-mail confirmation and INVOICE and no special conditions whatsoever.

Hence, we did not get any car and had to go back home and we have to find another car rental possibility to a higher price. And the company has already charged the money for our rental from our bank account, even if we have not gotten any car. We try to call the company, to get the money back, but we are put in a long waiting line... Most likely they are hoping we give up and they get the money without any car rental. That is how these companies work. Based on this experience - don't use Budget at all for car rental. It is extremely bad business. They give a ** about customer services.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

We rented a car for 25 hours that cost us $940.88 USD because we were forced to upgrade. UNBELIEVABLE! We were extremely disappointed and angry with the service that we received while trying to pick up our confirmed reservation at the Galway, Ireland location. I had made the reservation August 13, 2017. Our confirmed reservation was for 2 days totaling 196.59 euros estimated. The reservation pick-up time was 5:00 but we did not get there until 6:10 because our tour bus had run late because of traffic. The office had closed at 6:00 so we came back at 8:00 AM immediately when it opened the following morning.

There were 2 other people that were also surprised that the location had closed so early for a tourist destination. The office was not open overnight and we had reserved the car for 2 days' use. The attendant said that they had given the reserved car away. You really don't allow for an hour's lateness? Without a phone call? The attendant said the only car he could give us, that would fit our family of 5, totaled $940.88 USD. UNBELIEVABLE! He knew that we were not able to do anything else and took advantage of us. He knew we were upset but we took the car because we needed to drive to a scheduled tour not available by public transportation.

Because of an unfortunate fall, I travelled back to Galway hospital emergency room in an ambulance, while my husband drove the car back with the other children. By the time we were done at the hospital the Budget location was again closed for the day so my husband couldn't return the car until Friday morning. Our touring was done after my fall. We only had the car for 25 hours (not the 2 days charged) and the keys were immediately given to someone waiting for a car so Budget got another full day out of someone else because we needed to return it early because of my accident.

I contacted Budget when we returned to figure this customer service nightmare out. Not only were we not treated properly by taking advantage of our situation - but we didn't use the car for the two days! The majority of the 25 hours we had the car was spent in University Galway Hospital lot. I emailed Budget, explained how we were unfairly treated and was told that I should have called at 5 for them to keep my RESERVED PAID FOR CAR, otherwise they give them away. They don't allow for travelling mishaps?? Aren't they a transportation company?? I asked them to remedy the problem. That Galway location is a great resource for tourists but if they are doing a bait and switch scenario Budget should be aware that this is happening.

Also consider extending the hours since we were not the only ones that were surprised by the early closure. Our time in Galway was extremely stressful and Budget was definitely a contributing factor. I gave them a chance to "right" this and they did not. We rented a car for 25 hours that cost us $940.88 USD. UNBELIEVABLE! Do not assume that if you reserve and pay for the car it will be there. We will certainly never use Budget for personal or my husband's business travel again!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

We reserved a Ford Focus which they did not have so I upgraded and chose a Dodge Dart. 7-days into the rental period, we had planned to see some sights in the area, went out to the car and it would not start. Called roadside service and they jump started the car and said the battery was old. Being disabled I had to have a reliable car. Called Budget Rent-A-Car telling them the situation and wanted to exchange for another vehicle. Went to the nearest Budget that they told me had a car. When I arrived they had no car and wanted to charge me $10 per gallon to fill the tank, it was 3/4 full, and $30 for what I don't know. I said, “No, I'm not paying you anything” and as for the gas I was not going to turn off the car to pump gas because no guarantee it would start.

I went up the chain of command and the last person I spoke to offered 25% off, again I said, “No, I'm not paying due to your unreliable vehicle”. I requested to be transferred to the next person in command... The response was, “Someone will call you today or tomorrow”. A staff member at the Camelback Budget location jump started the car again, we kept the car running while pumping gas and took it back to the Budget location at the Phoenix AZ Airport and turned it. Went to Enterprise paid about $6.00 more and had the friendliest customer service, escorted us to the car (Budget did not), did a walk around for damages (Budget did not) and even wished me a happy birthday. A few days pass and my Husband informs me that Budget charged us $60 for the roadside service. I will never do business with Budget ever again!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

We rented a car, got a flat tire the young man at our hotel was kind enough to change the tire (we are senior citizens). Union returning the auto, we informed the person accepting the car, he said not a problem. Yesterday we were charged $133.50 from Budget. So we inquired as to the purpose??? It was for the flat tire!!! They came short of accusing my husband of cutting the tire!!! Amazing! Flats happen! We were on our way to a meeting, lucky to have the valet change for us!!! Budget is a terrible company the car was less than optimal, as a passenger I couldn't see out the front window!!! Never rent from Budget!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Booked car in U.K. for holiday in Orlando in June. Paid for hire in full up front. Arrived at Orlando Airport after 9 hour fight to wait almost 1 hour in queue at Budget desk. Eventually Gordon served and agent confirmed that car was fully paid and nothing else to pay. Tried to sell me the usual extras, insurances and so on all of which I declined several times. Agreed to pay the toll charges by number plate recognition. Asked for my credit card for 'holding' confirmation. Then produced a receipt for $210 dollars and asked me to sign. Asked what it was for and told just the holding confirmation and nothing would be charged to my account. Asked him to confirm again that all was fully paid up front and nothing further would be charged. Somewhat reluctantly, with a very tired family waiting to go to villa, I signed.

Got back to UK after holiday and find when next card statement delivered that it had been charged to my account and was for various insurances. Emailed Budget to complain and took well over their 15 days to receive a response which was basically 'you signed for it so the charges are valid' despite me pointing out all of the above and the deception by the agent in Orlando. Sent another email 20 days ago saying this was unacceptable and demanding refund to which no response received. Sent a further email yesterday giving them 48 hrs to reply or I would invoke a charge back through my credit card company for the sum involved and write to their chief executive to which I await a reply at time of writing. Have been to Orlando several times and hired cars with other companies and never had this shocking treatment. Never use Budget or parent company again whether I get the money back or not!!

Budget Rent-A-Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

• Best for: Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information