2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.77/5
Based on 1,542 ratings submitted in the last year

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: April 20, 2021

This was the worst buying experience in my life. I went to the Budget site to rent a car. I rented one and made the mistake of prepaying. I immediately went to Expedia and found that I could save $50. I went back to Budget and cancelled. They wanted to charge me a $50 cancellation fee for having the reservation for 5 minutes. I called my bank and told them that I wasn't going to pay a cancellation fee. They were able to reverse the entire prepaid rental of about 450. Then I went to LAX and took a Budget car that I reserved through Expedia. I returned it 8 days later.

Then I get a letter in the mail saying that I returned the car in poor condition in that it smelled like smoke and that they were going to change my credit card a cleaning fee of $450. I DON'T SMOKE. NO ONE THAT WAS IN THAT CAR WAS A SMOKER. So now I had to go back to my bank and contest the "cleaning fee". Never will I rent a Budget or Avis car again in my life (they are affiliated). Terrible ordeal, horrible company.

Original review: April 16, 2021

AWFUL experience all the way around, almost ruined our vacation by wasting over 3 hours total dealing with this rental car company. I reserved and prepaid for a car 3 weeks in advance. We got to the rental car terminal, waited over 30 minutes in line and when we finally got up to the counter we were informed that they had no more cars available for the night. We were told to take a taxi to our hotel and that if we came back in the morning they would have cars and reimburse us for the taxis.

Tried calling in the morning before we left the hotel to confirm they had cars available and got hung up on by the operating system twice before using a different extension to finally reach someone. Got to the rental car terminal in the morning and spoke with the representative. They took down our Lyft totals and I asked to speak to the manager regarding a discount for the inconvenience of having to come all the way back in the morning for a car when I had prepaid for one. They said my account was currently open and that when I returned the car I should speak to the manager then once our account was closed and we could discuss a discount then.

Six hours before we were supposed to return our rental car we were notified that our scheduled tour for the following day had been cancelled due to COVID. Therefore we were going to need to keep our rental car for one additional day. I called the terminal to discuss extending our rental and I was put on hold for 30 minutes while I was transferred to the “Specialty department”.

I was still on hold when I called the terminal again and complained that no one was helping me. Got my rental extended for one additional day. I brought it back the next day 5 hours before it was due. Requested to speak with the manager and then waited an additional 30 minutes just to speak to the manager. He told me that he had credited my account for the Lyft credits and given me a small discount. I told him that I had 3 hours of my vacation time wasted dealing with this company by waiting in line, being on hold, getting to and from the rental car terminal twice and that this discount was simply not good enough since I had prepaid for the car and they didn't notify me that they were out of cars.

He told me that I needed to call the operations manager, Laura on Wednesday when she returned from vacation to discuss a further discount because he had given me the maximum discount he was authorized to give. I called Laura on Wednesday and left a message. Did not receive a call back. Called again on Friday and left another message. It has been over a week and no one has returned my call or attempted to contact me.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2021

The agency at the Seattle 4th Ave location failed to answer my many calls to extend my one month rental as their website wouldn’t allow an extension. They failed to contact me until almost 2 weeks past its due date. I finally got a call on 4/13 at 1pm to return the car at that moment or she would report the car stolen. Apparently I was unclear of the terms of the agreement and I found no evidence of the repercussions on my contract. She insisted I return car to Tacoma location by 5p. I got there at 3:18p and they were closed. I called Budget again and they recommended I return to the SeaTac location where they wouldn’t take the car due to fees adding up to twice what I paid and said I need to return to original location which was closed by then.

Meanwhile this other female agent texted me several threatening messages that she was going to report the car stolen if I didn’t return that night. I explained the situation and she told me what I said was not true and I was not going to allow her to waste anymore of my time —that I would return car to original location first thing in the morning. She texted back and said she was going to follow thru with the stolen car report. I ended up reporting her to a supervisor who said they’d deal with her, meanwhile all the other agents said I had nothing to worry about. Meanwhile this other agent continued with the threatening texts after I asked her to stop. I was so stressed out, I didn’t sleep. The car was great so one star for that, but I’ve never been treated so horribly by any agent in my life. I am going to forward all the threatening texts to her supervisor today and plan to do anything in my power to see that she is fired.

Original review: April 12, 2021

By far the worst rental car experience I’ve ever had! Customer Service completely out the window! 1st vehicle Jeep 9:30pm dive about 30 minutes when the jeep begins SHAKING uncontrollably almost causing an accident on i95 with my 2 young kids and wife scared for their lives. Drive 30 minutes back to WPB. Exchange jeep for Ford SUV. Next day Ford will not start, go to Home Depot. Buy jumper cables and proceed to have to jump the car EVERY time to start it. Every light on the dash is on: brake, ABS, traction control, etc...

On hold for literally hours trying to resolve the issue to no avail. Flight is cancelled due to inclement weather, I call to extend for a day and a half. They proceed to try and charge me $530 to extend after telling multiple agents what we’ve been dealing with and continue to deal with; having to jump start the car every time we turn the car off. Meanwhile the cost for my initial rental was $404 for a week!! Now they’re attempting to take advantage of an already unsatisfied customer for $530 for 1.5 days. I mean what kind of organization is this? Talk about sucking the fun and energy out of a family vacation. They’re Absolute CROOKS and SCUM! I will NEVER book another rental car through Budget/Avis group ever again and I’d advise you to also stay clear of them for your future car rental needs.

Original review: April 12, 2021

I reserved a rental car went to pick it up and they didn't have any cars! I asked for another location and was sent to airport and was denied a car because I didn't have a credit card.. Although the site reads no credit card needed. They kept my money and I was stranded at an airport 500 miles from home. They robbed me. They stole my money and left me stranded!!!!

Original review: April 5, 2021

Don’t ever trust fast break, was in line for 49 minutes because the desk wasn’t open, Budget is useless!!! No explanations just a lame excuse. They they are short staffed and no discounts. Never rent from them.

Original review: March 26, 2021

NEVER rent from this company. I was charged a "pet hair" cleaning fee. I was on vacation and NEVER had a pet in my car or even a human in the back seat for that matter. My husband and I put our luggage in the trunk and that's it. I have disputed this and they have provided "after pictures." I would love to see the before pictures because there WAS NO ANIMAL IN MY CAR. After doing research, I have compiled several reviews of customers with Budget rental claiming this "charge" with no animal in the car. This is fraud. Pay more for a better quality car rental.

Original review: March 23, 2021

I booked a car with BUDGET. I went to a location to pick it up and the car was unavailable. I was left in the middle of nowhere without help. I called the customer service - no help as well. I truly don’t recommend to rent a car with BUDGET!!!!

Original review: March 23, 2021

This business charged me an extra $1,300 for returning a car early, refused to return my phone calls, and claims that counts as "pro-rating" my $1,500 rental rate for the number of days used. I rented a car from Budget for a month in late Dec when I was not sure of my return date. The women at the counter told me I must return the car within 28 days as per state law. I asked if I returned it earlier if I would receive a refund for days not used. She said of course, at return, they would refund me for the days I returned the car early, and "pro-rate" my rental rate.

After refusing to send me a receipt for a week, and 5 - 10 phone calls, I eventually got one with an additional $1,373 charge with no explanation (total $2,873). I called and they said it was "for returning the car early", when I protested they said they would speak to a manager and get back to me. I called daily after that and left numerous messages.

I have also no filed a complaint with the BBB and have been sent generic language stating that the rate was based on 28 days and by returning after 25 they were able to charge me a "pro-rated" rate. The term pro-rate definitionally means to assess pro-rata or allocate pro-rata. I can't understand how, by the exact definition, allocating pro-rata could mean INCREASING the rate by $1,373. Pro-rating, or allocating the initial charge over the term would have resulted in LESS money.

Consumers need to be aware that this business has sales representatives that lie to you and when they say "pro-rate" the charge they actually mean increase it by double. This is predatory behavior and should be illegal. I am continuing to push this through the BBB and an seeking all avenues available to help change this practice so other consumers are not treated this way.

Original review: March 22, 2021

Bad news! Budget Cheaters!!! I rented a car in October 2020 (3250 S Ocean Dr, Hollywood, FL 33019), traveled, returned it back, everything is as usual, nothing boded trouble. Three months later, I received a call from the ** (Budget claims service) with accusations that I returned the car with a broken headlight and a dented hood!!!, and charges are based on a photos taken five days!!! after the car was returned and the odometer readings differ 13 miles!!! from what is indicated on the return receipt!!! I have no idea what happened with car after I returned it!!! I returned it in same condition as I took it!!! Never use Budget!!!

Budget Rent-A-Car author review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information