Budget Rent-A-Car

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Made a reservation an hour and a half ago, need to cancel because one member of travelers had a work emergency. I explained I wanted to reschedule the reservation, but didn't know the dates, so would need to cancel this one and call in a couple weeks to get another. They still insisted on charging me a fee after only an hour and a half! Enterprise here I come! I will never rent from Budget!

I would give 0 stars if I could. I try not to write reviews, but after my ongoing experience with Budget I felt I needed to warn others. In March 2017, I visited my family in MD and rented a car from BWI Budget. I got an amazing new car and was excited. Within an hour of driving (took me about 2 hours to get to destination) the low air light came on and I thought it was odd. The next day I realized the tire was flat. I contacted the roadside assistance, confirmed I had purchased the roadside assistance for $67+ dollars and then proceeded to ask for help. They said a tow truck would assist. After getting my notification that it would be an hour wait I was ok, after over 2 hours of waiting Budget called saying the tow was not coming and would set up another company. That company said it would be 2 hours until getting there.

At this point I was getting frustrated because I was with my 3-year old and 16-year old children and they were getting restless. We missed being able to eat dinner with my family due to waiting. I finally had to get the local Rescue Squad to come by and replace my tire, because being stranded and no time of being fixed. The Rescue Squad person (so thankful for him) said that I should not drive over 50 miles per hour on the spare as it was not safe. I knew this would be a problem because the closest Budget was about 2 hours away and I had my children to think about. I contacted Budget and offered to take it to a Goodyear (only thing nearby) and get tire replaced. They told me I couldn't because then I would not be reimbursed unless the exact same tire was put on and Goodyear did not have that tire.

After getting the runaround for 2 days they finally drove me a new car and picked up the old car. The guy told me everything was good, was not going to be charged and just return the new car to the place I picked up the first car at. He drove off in the old car to return to Budget. I dropped off the new car and thought that was it... I was without a car for 2 days but not going to fight about getting reimbursed because I was just done getting the runaround. You think it would end there, but nope. On 20 April, my credit card was charged $167.50 so I immediately thought it to be an error and called Budget. Budget said it was due to damage to the car and I had to pay it. There was no damage except the flat tire which was covered under roadside assistance. They will not tell me what the specific damage is and how they know it was me and not the guy who drove it back who caused the damage.

It had been almost a month since I returned the rental so why am I getting charged now, why did no one call to tell me about this so called damage, etc. I have talked to numerous agents all telling me different things. One guy (Alex) said I was reimbursed those charges and I had to send my bank statement to show it wasn't. After sending my statements another agent said I should not have been charged b/c the tire was covered. Got another email saying damage due to car, with no specifics. I am beyond frustrated. I just want my money back that they have stole from me. Not only did I pay over 300 for a weekly rental, I missed time with my family because I only see them so often since I am stationed so far away. Everyone should stay away from that company. Even if I get my money back (which I highly doubt) I will never go back to that company again.

Booked a standard SUV through Budget website online to be taken at Cleveland Airport, OH, from 26th April evening through April 28th morning. Pre-paid $181.73, in full, through my credit card. At Cleveland Airport, the female at the counter took the credit card, license and mentioned "Sir, there are 3 cars. Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango and GMC Acadia. Which one do you want?". I chose Ford Explorer. Returned on 28th at 9 am only to get a receipt with an extra charge of $35.67. Immediately called Customer Service to hear "It was an upgraded car. We can't reverse the difference". When I mentioned that the female at the counter never mentioned that these are the options for an upgrade, (which I never asked for or never booked) and also would cost more? How would I know if that is an upgraded to the next class or not - The customer service says "You signed the rental agreement. That is all".

I see a very similar experience reported by Ramiro of Coral Gables, FL on April 26, 2017. Looks like this is happening with multiple people booked cars with Budget, only to give us an idea how Budget is doing its business with malpractice and mal-intentions. Today I called the customer service again and spoke to someone called Tony. Initially he was polite, but after understanding the issue, he too started mentioning the same that I have signed the rental agreement and stopped listening to what I had to say. Eventually offered a 50% of the extra charge. My last rental with Budget and its group brands. (Avis, Budget, Apex, Zipcar, Payless, etc.). Please beware of such malpractices and take a decision appropriately. Thank you.

Budget… Never again!! We booked via Ryanair website and included the insurance from AXA insurance. When we received a confirmation email from AXA, we got to know that our excess was €1800!! When we arrived at Trapani Airport, we had to wait for over two hours in a queue of only 3 people. The woman at the desk was taking a long time with each client as she didn’t know her job well and was asking help from her colleagues all the time. When it was our turn to be given our car, we got to know that we had to pay 3 times more the insurance, to lower our excess. We were also told that they do not have any cars available at the airport so we had to wait further in the parking until they got a car from Palermo Airport.

When the car finally arrived, the guy didn’t even inspect the car and we drew his attention to do so. We couldn’t inspect the car well as it was getting dark and the car was dark grey. When we returned the car, the lady which inspected the car noticed that the front bumper was scratched. We were sure that we didn’t do it as we took great care of the car. When we searched for a photo we took of the car on our first day, we noticed that the scratches were already there and when we showed them the photo, they still insisted that we did the scratches. We were sent in the airport and the woman at the desk (who was different from the one that we talked to when we picked the car) had to call someone as she didn’t know what she had to do in such cases. A total rip off!! Budget... Never again!!

Orlando Rental. When renting a vehicle from Budget on April 22, 2017 there was a waiting line of approximately 30 people. It took 1.75 hours just to get to the desk. When arriving at the front desk the monitor for the customer was malfunctioning so the Budget employee was reaching around and just tapping the screen thus accepting things that were not wanted during the Rental Time. When I got to the hotel I called customer service and voiced my concerns and they said they would credit the rental 25%, even though the employee was told I did not want this option.

The next thing happened when returning the vehicle to the Airport and I am charged a fee for a vehicle that has a full tank of gas. This is a complete scam on Budget's part and a pure profit ordeal. The charge was $29.59 and I literally had 4 miles on the tank of gas. The final receipt that was sent to me shows that the fuel tank reading at the return was FULL. I am going to take this a step further and file a complaint with the BBB. I would definitely not recommend using Budget to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

I will NEVER NEVER EVER recommend this company to ANYONE. We used one of their rental trucks back in November and when my husband went to pick up the dumb truck they got us to purchase the extra insurance and it says 0 FAULT which means the person is covered. Well he told them we were going to have someone else drive it down for us and they said that was no problem, he would be covered too. So when the person we had driving was going to park the truck he accidentally hit another parked truck at a U-haul place. Well they said that budget would probably cover it without any issues and it would be an easy claim.

Now it is May 1st. One of those IDIOTS from the claims department at BUDGET at first said they would take part of the claim with that other persons insurance at first and now they are saying because he was not the one that rented the truck they won't cover it at all. I do not see anywhere on the fricken website that said they wouldn't cover him. In fact it PISSES ME OFF A LOT THAT THE PERSON AT THE BUDGET RENTAL PLACE SAID HE WOULD BE COVERED!!! My husband had NOTHING to do with the fricken accident and now they are trying to put blame on him. We spent almost $100 for that fricken insurance and the jackasses won't even cover it. This is the worst company I have ever seen and I have already told others never ever to rent a truck from here and believe me they are saying they will not.

What is the point of the fricken insurance if they are not going to cover the truck itself. Who gives a crap who is driving the truck. If someone pays for the insurance it should be on the fricken truck not the person. Not to mention if the person who was in the accident if his insurance company is willing to help with the fricken claim then they SHOULD do part of the claim. The person who was not part of the accident should NEVER EVER have to get their insurance company involved. Our insurance shouldn't go up because this dumbass company won’t take responsibility. We paid for their services and there is nowhere on the stupid rental agreement that says they will not cover the other guy. This insurance should be on the dang truck NOT on the person.

I rented a car for one day from Budget a few months ago. This car was to be picked up and dropped off in different cities. I drove the car half of my nine-hour journey and then took a break for the night at my mother's house. The next morning as I was taking off, the car malfunctioned and was clearly not safe to drive. I called Budget's 24-hour roadside assistance and they sent a tow truck. The tow truck picked up the car that same day (within the 24-hour rental period) and took it to their garage. Budget did not bring me a new car so I borrowed a car from my mother. I drove the rest of the trip that day. I noticed a few days later that Budget charged my credit card almost $700. I called and called constantly being told it was going to be fixed. It wasn't until I contacted the executive office twice sending proof and letters that anything was done.

They charged me for a four-day rental, for not filling up the gas tank, and added late fees for a car that broke down on me. Apparently, the car was sitting at the towing company for four days after it was towed. After "fixing" the issue, they still ended up charging me for a one-day rental even though the car did not get me to my final destination. This company provided me with the worst experience I have ever had with any company in my entire life. I would avoid Budget Rent A Car like the plague. It took four months for them to refund me the amount that they did and I was about to file a lawsuit. Absolutely unacceptable that they would fraudulently charge my credit card without my permission and then not refund me the full amount for a car that malfunctioned half way through my trip of no fault of my own.

I went online a month in advance to rent a car for a vacation in California. My credit card was charged but I didn't get a confirmation from them so I thought I would call and verify everything. Thank God I did because when I talked to them they said that I did not have a reservation with them. After talking to a foreign guy for a very long time, I was told that something went wrong online and that I would be getting a credit within 12 hours. I am yet to receive my money back and now will be reporting them for fraud. I will never do business with this company ever again.

The worst experience and company I have ever dealt with. I can't believe they get away with their fraudulent charges to people who have already reserved cars but they charge for upgrades and extra insurance you don't want. Never told I was paying for upgrade. Never could contact anyone that wanted to help. Disputed with my credit card but because they had a signature on a contract that I was never even told was a contract, thought it was extra insurance I was declining. Rushed and agent didn't care. If I had known I was going to pay an extra 463.00 for upgrade I would never have accepted as I reserved early and got DISCOUNT. Haha. I think I will contact the attorney general about their fraudulent practices. DONT USE BUDGET RENT-A-CAR.

Upon arrival at the Budget Rent-A-Car area Orlando airport, there were over 100 customers in front of me, my husband was exhausted from the flight. I found him a wheelchair to sit in, no seats in area, he watched the luggage. So for over two hours I stood in line, other customers had loved one who were hungry, had to go to the bathroom, and restless children. I was told by foreign travelers, why do we have to wait here in this line in America, with all the technology available, I apologized for all of our inconvenience. Then as we moved in the lanes we were able to watch the three Budget staff waiting on customers and other blue Budget shirt employees standing around, looking at their phones, laughing having a good time while we in line were losing our patience.

One staff member in particular would take a customer about every 15 minutes, well now it was my turn, she was doing nothing. She did not call me up but I went over and asked if she was waiting on people, she said she was very busy and would get to me when she could. Well we waited in front of her for about ten minutes, all she did was talk to the other staff, who were not waiting on people, a new employee came out the door and I said could she wait on me, and she did, after about twenty minutes she assigned us a vehicle, we walked over to the garage, walked down to V31 and no vehicle was in the spot, I guess they had a good laugh.

My husband was ready to pass out, diabetes and no food, so I ran back to the Budget desk and yelled about the problem, they told me to wait. After taking two more customers, I was assigned another vehicle, it was in the garage. What an experience, my plane landed at 4:17 PM, I finally got to my hotel at 9:30 and then went to dinner. I was not the only person feeling disgusted at the Magic Kingdom. I have never seen such inefficiency, total lack of professionalism and untrained staff. Budget should be the last rental car agency to consider in my opinion and I will continue to warn everyone.

Rented a car in Norfolk VA in April 2017, which was pre-paid by Expedia. After getting my credit card statement I saw that I was being charged $640 CDN extra from Budget. Called them up and they claimed that I had agreed to an upgrade of $10 USD a day, which I did not, was never informed of and did not agree on the contract. Then they said I was being charged $89 USD for a fuel surcharge for not bringing it back full, which I always return full as I know how much they rip you off if you don't. The worst was when they said I was charged for having XM radio as well as roadside assistance. Again I never pay for XM radio, I always have my own music on a usb stick, and my credit card covers all damages, accidents insurance. The Budget rep said they'd give me 50 percent back on upgrade, and then said they would submit a request for refunds of the other charges.

I have a copy of my contract and nowhere does it even say anything about XM radio or roadside assistance. And I fortunately kept receipt of filling up the tank the day of return. This has been the worst experience I've had with any car rental, and I will never rent with Budget/Avis again. It appears that upgrades and extra charges without approval is becoming more and more common. Complete waste of time to have to send in the documents to prove I did not agree to all these extra charges. Budget is the worst car rental experience I've had. Never again with them.

If I could leave zero stars, I would. Both the S. Pine Street location and the airport location in Ocala, FL are owned by the same person. I left a cash deposit that was supposed to be returned to me when I dropped off my rental. The rental was returned in excellent condition and I was due my entire deposit. The location said they didn't have the cash and that Budget's corporate office would mail me a check in about 6 weeks. I told them I could pick up the deposit in a couple days, but they said they wouldn't have it then either. You would think a good rental company would have $150.00. This is not what was supposed to happen according to Budget's customer service department. Unfortunately, the customer service department does not enforce corporate policy or I would have my refund in my hand. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE! DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!

Budget late at night had caused an hour time and I still didn't get to rent a car. I had a ride from a son who tagged along, helping with the cell and car and so many questions and insurance sales. No use. I was given option first of a truck and waited then after 20 min told only CREDIT card. My Costco Travel didn't work. I carried my Chase debit and one Target credit and one Federal Credit Union savings card. No way I have a car rental for this weekend. She kept saying the $200 charge is not going through the Federal Credit and the Visa or Master logo must be on my cards. Asking why all this she tells me a new law effective March 21, signs she said are on the application. I don't see any signs except as you wait 35 min and posted where she stands. Nice Uber drivers and again get Uber...

Appalling service from Budget. Had to queue up for 2 hours for my car at Lanzarote, and then there was absolutely no one to show me where the car was (had to find it myself in the car park) and absolutely no one to give me any information, advice or instructions or directions... THEN WORST OF ALL, when I returned the car (and had the car checked in) confirmed full of petrol, but was overcharged £16.74 + VAT for "refuelling service" and £9.52 for something else (could not possibly be petrol, because car was COMPLETELY FULL) when I got back to the UK. Something very remiss is going on within Budget, very remiss indeed, and I can't get anyone to do anything about it. There are lots and lots of car hire organisations around; suggestion: use another one as Budget can't be trusted.

My family (two kids and my wife) and I had just got to the Budget Canada office at the airport to rent a car after a very long trip. Having been tired and in a rush to get to our destiny, we asked about our reservation: A midsize SUV (ford Escape or similar). I asked the person on the counter if he thought the size was ok for the four of us and 3 suitcases. As I remember the salesperson said, "I have this one, a Ford Explorer". To me this was a similar car since I dont know the difference about models. Ford Explorer and Ford Escape to me it was the same.

The important part here is that I did not get an explanation about the extra costs to access that SUV instead. He never mentioned the increase of price! While he asked me to sign that I declined the insurance, he kept talking to me non-stop, and I am coming to believe that this was his way of getting me to sign. Completely misleading! The end price I received was about 5 times more.

A couple of points to show why I could never have agreed to that price: I made a reservation for a car that it was going to cost approx. $267 a week. How can I go from that to almost $1700?! As my kid said, for that price you can get a Lamborghini! I did not care for a car that nice and didnt need it. I declined all the insurance. Do you think that I will take a car like that and decline all the insurance? If I have that kind of money I would not mind paying the insurance. Everything points that I was taken advantage off. I agree, I SIGNED! And that was my mistake, I was not informed about anything extra! If the paper said that I was carrying drugs I've would have signed anyway and Im not a drug dealer. This is only an example but it is to make my point.

BUDGET RENT-A-CAR IS A RIPOFF - They refuse to take debit cards or advertise that fact and HAVE THE WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I have 2 agreements due to my recent move. See Agreement No ** quoted total was $331.33 for 8 day van rental with turn in at a different location not in Florida. Then see Agreement ** quoted agreement $219.84 with turn in at a different location in Florida. Because Budget refused to take my daughter's DEBIT card we used my Credit Card. 4 days after we rented the first car we went to pick up the second car and were told we had multiple rentals and again they DON'T TAKE DEBIT CARDS. Both cars were on my credit card even though we were each driving a different vehicle. Because we put the second car on my credit card my 8 day rate went from $219 to $578.10 because Budget tacked additional charges like loss damage waiver when I have USAA car insurance which covers rental cars.

Had we been at the airport we would have gone to another rental car place but we didn't have that luxury. The second car did not have a full tank of gas which meant another trip inside and another wait. The second day with car 2 the check engine light came on and stayed on so I called BUDGET ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE - DON'T BOTHER. With no help from roadside I went to Costco to fill the tank to 3/4 as dictated by Budget but it would not fill. So the man in front of my car and behind attempted to put gas in the car with no luck - Budget said we must have been trying to pump Diesel - NOT.

With the check engine light on and very little gas I drove to the nearest Budget and demanded another car at the same price BUT they took the car and said they were able to fill the tank so I owed $9 per gallon for the gas they filled (so half a tank of gas cost me $40.79). Not to mention the rude customer service at two locations in West Palm Beach, Florida AND NO MANAGER TO BE FOUND AT EITHER LOCATION. I will never rent from Budget again and pray customers get a chance to read this review.

Made a reservation online and got confirmation. At the counter we waited quite some time for them to get the VIN while others were coming and finishing before us. Finally were sent over to the space to pick up the car for just a "short" wait. More than 25 minutes later we walked over to the person in the box and she was not real happy to even slide the little talk door to listen to us. Finally a man came over and said they would swap out the car. I asked if the price would change and the response was "of course not". Prior to returning the car I filled up about 2 miles away from the return. Reviewing my credit card, they overcharged me by $14.83. Waited on the phone for someone to answer for about 10 minutes and they said they could not hear me because of a bad connection. I had no problem hearing them.

The extra charge was for refueling. She asked me what was the name of the station I filled up at and how much did I spend to fill up, but she said she was sorry for the inconvenience asking me these questions. This is more than an inconvenience. Just a total waste of time. I told her I could not remember what the name of the station was and she put me on a brief hold. Came back to say the difference would be credited. Wonder how many times this is done to customers with the gas tank at more than full when returned and how many customers choose not to correct the issue due to lack of time in their schedules.

On 4/11/17 I arrived in Albuquerque with a Budget reservation for a econ car. By the time I arrived they were "sold out" so I was given a large SUV. Two days later, on 4/13, I returned to exchange the SUV for a smaller car as I was quite uncomfortable in the larger vehicle. After some hemming and hawing I was issued a Dodge Dart. Aggravated and stressed by the process which took some time, I stepped away from the counter and set my wallet down in the "lounge area" about 50 feet away. I went outside to get into my new car and realized I could not find my wallet/license in order leave the premises with the vehicle. I went back inside to check with the counter; I informed them my wallet was missing; they had not found anything at that point.

After 10-15 minutes of panic outside looking I went back inside to the counter to ask again. I was informed that another Budget customer had picked it up and tried to return it to the counter, but they could not accept it because it is against their policy to accept anything outside their counter area. The customer then said he would give the wallet to the airport bus driver in case someone on the bus had lost it. I then checked with the bus driver who was currently outside; he did not have it, nor did any of his other drivers. So in a matter of minutes my wallet, which was discovered not but a few steps away from the Budget agents, walked out of the rental depot with stranger #1 who gave it to stranger #2. All this happened while I was still waiting outside and while the Budget agents knew my wallet was missing.

What ensued next was very stressful. Now I had no money, no credit card and no license/ID with which to leave the premises and board a plane in a few days. I was helpless. One Budget agent (thank you Cindy) helped me immensely by calling around to all the bus drivers, airport security and the airport lost & found (to no avail). She had airport police come take a statement so a case number could be assigned. All of this took several hours.

When I was ready to leave the depot with the Dodge, I was told by the new manager (shift change) that I could not take the car off the property without ID. He knew the story from the previous manager but gave me a really hard time, even though they had all my information and payment from two days prior when I first arrived. He took no responsibility for the situation his agents helped to create. After getting very firm with the manager about not leaving without the car, he finally got his supervisor to OK my departure.

So my complaint is really about people not doing the right thing. Yes, I take full responsibility for setting my wallet down. I appreciated the customer who picked it up and tried to return it to the Budget counter. Here's where the policy of not accepting it or even looking inside for ID to determine if it belonged to me while I was STILL THERE is completely unacceptable. I understand policies need to be in place; however, sometimes it's the right and just thing to bend the rules for someone who is so clearly distressed and helpless. I canceled my credit card and my husband had to FedEx me my passport so I could get out of NM. My wallet is still in the wind. I will not do business with Budget ever again.

We have a dispute with the RENTAL CAR (Malaga Airport / Spain) during our recent travels in Europe (April 2017). The car had over twenty thousand km and definitely used tires with all this mileage. After picking up the car, 60 km away from the airport, we noticed a flat tire when we pulled in to a supermarket garage and we called the rental car's roadside service number and they said we had to return the car to Malaga airport (nearest Avis/Budget) or they would have to send a flat bed truck and we should take a taxi. We said we would return the car next day since it was getting late.

When we traveled back to the airport next day, they replaced the vehicle with another but informed us that we would have to pay 150 Euros for the tire plus 87 Euros for the damage claim paperwork. At this point, we had spent a day from our eleven day vacation trying to accommodate the rental company and not cause unnecessary problems, we were being charged for the tire which was not great looking from the start. (I took photos at the airport of all scratches on this car before we took possession, together with their representative) The tire can be seen in the attached photo. The initial agreement for the rental car was under 200 Euros (agreement attached). The final bill they came up with was Euros 498.53 (more than double).

I made a reservation with this company online, of which I prepaid (as usual) for today (Apr 23). I always use my debit card for this since this is allowed. I had an event to be at (which I paid for!) at a certain time, and I went to pick up my rental. The person at the counter told me to pick my car and go to the gate to get my contract since I'm a faster break member (I've never had to go to the event for my contract). The ladynamic had THE WORST attitude, was very rude and told me she couldn't give me a contract since they just changed their policy a few weeks ago to only accept credit cards (mind you, I just reserved a car last week with no issue and no warning).

I went inside as instructed to see what they could do, and all I got was "sorry". I was stranded without a way to get to my event, and I paid for an Uber to get there. They told me I had to call the company for a refund, and that was it. They left me high and dry, treated me in an unprofessional manner, and offered no solution. I wouldn't even give them a star if I could. I do NOT recommend anyone use them. Just invest in a car.

I returned my car with a full tank of gas and it was documented by the agent when I returned my car. I still got charged for a full tank of gas and had to send a copy of my fuel receipt in to get a refund. This is a real pain in the ass to do. I have a lot better things to do than search for my receipt and fax or scan a copy to Budget. It doesn't have to work this way. If a car is returned with a full tank of gas, you should not be charged for one.

Today, I had the absolute worst experience with Budget Car Rental. Traveling with my sister and her husband we split expenses for everything. Two months before our trip to Vegas, she rented our convertible, paid in full with her debit card. Upon arrival, we made our way through the long budget lines to pick up our car only to be told we couldn't get the convertible with the debit card but we could get a sedan with the card. This made no sense to us and my husband even offered to add our credit card to the reservation as back up. Still they refused. The man behind the counter acted like he couldn't have cared less about our problem. Finally we insisted on speaking with a manager who told us she didn't care that the online sales allowed us to reserve and pay in full for this rental because she couldn't get us our reserved car.

Our only alternative was to cancel the original reservation and make another with our credit card since my sister and her husband have no credit cards and deal in cash. The manager gave us a 1-800 number to make the arrangements and it was Avis Car Rental, the first person we were dealing with said to just tell them to transfer us, we were then told by Avis they couldn't transfer us to Budget. So again, we insisted on a number in order to make the required changes, got it, was able to cancel without penalty, we hope since it's going to be at least 48 hours before Budget makes a refund to my sister's bank account. Then it was time to make our new reservation for the originally reserved convertible. Guess what, it was $100 more because we couldn't get the same Internet deal we got two months ago. In my book, this should be classified as an illegal bait and switch!

Prepaid rental on expedia.com. Upgraded at counter at Kona International Airport in Hawaii. Was given a new contract with upgrade increase of $20 a day. Explained we didn't want any added insurance. My credit card was billed for an exorbitant amount of money. Called customer service. On hold forever. 3 days into our trip was told we were charged for insurance and that we could have it removed once we returned the car. Upon returning the car we were told by the desk clerk that they would not remove it but that I could speak to a manager except that she was in a meeting. Left my cell phone number and never received the call. Attempted to call once we got home and was told that the service was down. I am currently disputing it with my Discover card.

I made a reservation over 8 weeks ago with Budget Rental Car. I received an email confirmation at the time of the reservation and another email confirmation the day before I was to pick the car up. I drove an hour and a half to get the car and was told that they didn't have any cars and that I was the 27th customer to come in that same day that was told the same thing. I showed my email confirmation to the guy behind the counter and he didn't care at all. He just said sorry. I called customer service and got the runaround. I then called Enterprise and got a reservation very easily. They understood my frustration. I will NEVER rent from Budget again. I was very frustrated and they acted like it was not a big deal. I got a better deal from Enterprise and an upgrade for cheaper than Budget was charging. I am very disappointed in this company and the way they handled the situation.

Orlando Airport - worse service and the line was at least 25 people deep. Waited an hour to get served and when I finally did, the clerk went through NONE of the rental agreement. I declined the additional coverage (Loss damage waiver) and yet, lo and behold, a charge for $268 appears on the credit card that I had to give at the desk, even though this was a prepaid rental of $221.17. Why would I get coverage that was more than my rental to begin with? I have car insurance AND booked with an Amex cards which also provides extra rental car coverage.

I called and the first person I talked to said she would refund 50%, but that was all she could do. Then, I got a "supervisor" that was totally reading from a script and sounded like it. He refused to credit any of it. I asked to receive an email copy of my "contract" and am still arguing with them about their electronic system of yes and no that they run through at light speed. I declined the coverage and yet here I am protesting charges and wasting my time. Never again Budget.

There are 100 people in this line, 21 stations to rent cars and 6 -- count them 6 -- people taking our information. This is not how we wanted to spend the first three hours of our vacation! Budget just became our last choice -- if we did not already have a reservation we would move over to Avis.

I would like to share my concerns and frustration with my recent experience involving a rental car and moving truck with Budget.com. I had reserved a car for pickup at Charlotte Douglas Airport online through budget.com, dropping off in VA the following day. Upon arriving at Charlotte airport I found out I had made a mistake on my reservation (my fault). The gentleman at the Budget counter would not assist me and told me I had to call the 800 number to correct this and they did not have any cars available other than a very small car. Upon calling the 800 number the gentleman informed me that he could get me in the same size car I had reserved however there would be an additional charge which I was okay with.

Upon reviewing my credit card I found I was charged the original reservation of and another charge of $106 more than he had told me. When I contacted customer service to clarify the charges I was told that the difference of $106 was for an upgrade (which I did not have). In addition, upon picking up the Budget moving truck in Weyers Cave, VA we found the truck to be VERY dirty inside the cab and the check engine light was on. We were told by the agent that it had been checked out and was fine. This was not very comforting since we were traveling almost 2000 miles across country. After spending $1200 on a moving truck and having to pay almost $300 on a one day rental car I am very frustrated with my experience with Budget. This is the first time I have tried Budget and unfortunately will not being using them again, nor can I recommend it to anyone.

I am not going to go into the painful details of my experiences with Budget Rent-A-Car.

1. Budget incapable of renting a car for more than 30 days without initiating a new contract. They do not explain this process. They require you to either return the car to the original location, or call them with the mileage on your car to initiate a new contract.

2. Local Budget office - Newark, NJ International Airport is impossible to reach by telephone. General customer service will tell you they are too busy to answer their phone. You cannot leave a message. Thus in relation to my situation I could not call in the mileage and general customer service would not accept the mileage account. Moreover, customer service explained they have no back line number to reach the Newark office; consequently, there was nothing they could do to assist me.

3. Budget customer service is outsourced. Getting someone that clearly articulates English and can understand English clearly is impossible. It took me two days to finally be connected with a Supervisor. I was told one would call me back within an hour and never did. I spoke with no less than nice representative before I could resolve this ridiculous issue of having to create a new rental agreement for more than 30 days.

4. Budget does not give honest quotes. When I asked for an additional day rental on my agreement I was quoted $36.80; however the representative at the counter said my additional rental was $95 because of the additional taxes. Confounding! I presented them with the representatives over the phone quote and her name and employee number. What needed to happen was waiving those fees. It didn't. When I called to complain about this matter I was continually told these are valid charges and could not be waived. Poor response - especially when I was told you need to read your agreement we need to make money on our rentals.

5. Be aware that using the EZ Pass on your car incurs a $23.70 fee from Budget. Why? This is pure profit on their part. They pay a bulk fee for EZ Pass once paid on the vehicle it is a done deal. And don't use the Henry Hudson Bridge which is an EZ Pass only bridge. The signage is poor. You would not know it because it appears in the bridge sign. And of course Budget charges you $23.70. You can get a one time waiver on this fee if you call EZ Pass directly. I don't mind paying the toll, but the charge from Budget is unacceptable. I have never encountered in all my car renting experiences so many hurdles in contracts and customer service as I have with Budget. They have lost a customer for good. Even if I get a cheaper rate I will not do business with them again. Budget lives up to its name.

I had a reservation for a mid size car, and after traveling 12 hours in the air and in airports, I arrived at the SLC airport at midnight and come to find out they did not have a car for me, and did not have any solutions. They acting like that is my problem. "You do not have a way home, too bad, sleep in the airport." They are the worst and I will not rent from them again!!!

We waited for over 2 hours to pick up our rental car at the Orlando Airport, which was an ordeal that started with the flight being delayed for over 6 hours. Started to drive the rental and noticed a terrible smell coming from somewhere inside the car (not sure from where). It was a mixture of vomit, BO and baby poop causing us to drive with the air at full blast and windows down the whole time. My little girl almost threw up coming back from dinner and we had to pull over just in case. Called the rental place repeatedly, but the call goes straight to the general number. Spoke with customer reps, supervisors etc. and the best they could do was: go back at the rental place, exchange the vehicle (which they don't have – I need a minivan as we are 6 people on vacation) and if they don't have a similar vehicle, wait for them to clean it and take the same one back.

I tried to explain to them that I am on vacation and is unfair to me to waste half a day on legwork for something they did. (The rental place is 45 min. from where we're staying). So, a lot of sorry's, but no solutions to make it easier on the customer. After everything they said on the phone, I could hear only one thing: "We got your money. If you want to solve the problem we created for you, go ahead, run around and solve it yourself; we too busy for you."

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.
  • Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.
  • Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.
  • Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.
  • Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.
  • Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.
  • Best for Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

Compare Rental Cars