1.13/5
Based on 254 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Budget Rent-A-Car

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

1472 Budget Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Prepaid for our car, got to Tampa airport and they were OUT of cars! At least 150 people were stuck at their mercy waiting for vehicles to be brought in! They acted like this was no big deal. We waited at least 2 hours after landing to get a car. Meanwhile, all the other rental companies were well stocked.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Booked and paid for a VAN in January. Got to the airport February 10th, 2018 to pick up the VAN and we are told that we booked it thru a 3rd party and it wasn't a Budget contract. Third parties are Orbitz, Kayak, Hotwire and anyone else that is not Budget, but they all make contracts for Budget. No VAN and the 6 of us (all adults) are standing there with our luggage asking how we can get the VAN and just go. We can't, we are offered an economy for $200 more than what we paid for the VAN, did I mention there are 6 of us?

So we ask to just do a new contract for a VAN and we are told they don't have one. I believe they never had our VAN to begin with. We finally gave us and as we are walking away we are reminded that there may be cancellation fees and other fees charged. Charged for a VAN they could not provide. Customer service was left to another vendor to handle (Avis) because the Budget counter was closed. Miss Rude was just that. So if you are visiting the Gulfport Area just look for the bus and shuttle schedule and look for multi-day passes. Wish I could give a minus.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I prepaid for a 3 day compact car rental from Orlando Airport. Cost-$142. Fair. When I had to extend my rental due to my elderly mother being hospitalized and requiring surgery, I called both the main Budget Reservations AND the Airport location. But, everything was not fine when I returned the car when I said I would. Total price charge for 1 week compact (an added 4 extra days) was $667. Budget’s response was “this is a valid charge”. Not in my mind. This was not a vacation trip, money is tight in my world and I feel that Budget totally ripped me off and took advantage. I will never use them again and recommend others beware.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

We prepaid for a van to transport a team, however, the van, although booked and paid for with a school CC, could not be picked up by our coaches that would be driving it. I tried to ask why it was not possible for them to pick up the van and there was no reasonable answer. Since it was impossible for me to pick up the van, I had to cancel the reservation. We had to pay a $50.00 fee and Amie the rep I spoke to was not helpful in the least. Horrible customer service and lack of understanding for our issue. Our community will all hear about this and Budget will never get the schools or my personal business ever again. I hope the $50.00 was worth it!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

There is no mention during pre-paying of having to give a second card and a hold of over $200 more dollars for renting a vehicle with your company. I regret not using Enterprise as usual; no wonder your rental was considerably less than theirs when I was researching for quotes. I will definitely be writing in to AARP about this since I went through their system to rent from you guys. Also their phone system is either messed up or you intentionally train people to pretend to not hear customers when calling in as I called nine times due to this tactic.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Tampa Airport Budget Car Rental - Waited in line for 45 minutes to pick up our PREPAID luxury SUV rental. Agents very poorly trained. Manager came out from back - saw huge line of customers waiting and didn't assist his staff or any customers. Manager's name is Matt and he was an arrogant jerk. Received car with warning light for low tire pressure. Gas tank not completely full. Will never rent from these bozos again!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

We reserved a tahoe to be picked up on a Friday at 9:00 am. They confirmed by text the reservation at 9:00 Thursday morning then at 2:45 that afternoon called to tell me it wouldn’t be in until 12:00 on Friday. So my $400 rental was going to be late messing up the timing of the trip and all they could say was “too bad!” They told me I could drive to Charlotte to pick it up myself if I needed it sooner! When I contacted the 1-800 number the nice person on the other end told me they may not even have my rental and that sometimes the previous renter has not brought it back yet! Rent from anyone else, the savings are not worth the risk of not getting the rental.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Despite having a contract stating that my rental was paid in full, I was charged an additional $166 upon turning in the car. So in short, I was forced to pay double for a GPS (that was old), and charged $45 for fuel even though the car only needed 8 gallons. I was also forced to take a vehicle that I did not want. I reserved a nice car, but was told it was unavailable upon arrival. I'm not sure if they know what reservation really means. Bad business Budget. Never again. There are way too many other rental companies to choose from...

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Had minor damage to rental (cracked oil pan). Filed claim with my personal insurance. Budget refused to provide repair bills with ins co. Said they do not deal with claims. Charged my credit card $1000 and said I would have to be reimbursed by my insurance co because they do NOT deal with insurance companies. Took them over 2 months to send me the repair information so I could officially file the claim, although I had informed my insurance on 11/ 25/17 which was the date of the accident. Got the information from Budget on 2/2/18. Would give all zeros for service if possible.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

After landing in MCO airport Orlando Florida, we proceeded to pick up our prepaid car at BUDGET. Worst experience ever. The staff works in slow motion. When we arrived at the Budget rental, there was a line of at least 35-40 people. There were 5 staff working in a snail's pace mind you. But the three of them decided to take breaks. Unbelievable, now down to three workers. None of them seemed to care at all that there was a huge line! Then to make it worse another worker decided to take a break, two left!!! We ended up getting to the counter 2 hours later. When we finally got our paperwork done we were sent across the street to pick up our much awaited car. We had to drag our luggage all over the parking lot to find our car. No one around to help you out.

We finally found our site where our rental was supposed to be. In our spot was a cute little convertible... But it wasn't our car. We had to go back to the deck and ask where was our car. The lady behind the counter in the parking garage was as slow as they were inside. I explained we already waited over 2 hours inside. She said, "Yes it is always slow." She then told us our car had been rented 20 minutes ago. She ended up putting us in a huge SUV instead of the compact car I rented. Nice I said a huge gas guzzler. But we took it. By now we were so frustrated and wanted to get on with our vacation as we already wasted 3 hours! If I could give this company zero stars I would. Horrible customer service. Please don't go there and start your vacation off frustrated by slow, rude, uncaring people And please someone give the workers at Budget an energy drink!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The line at the Budget Rent-A-Car moved at a snail's pace and the line kept growing as I waited for my car. I waited 2 hr and 5 minutes to pick up a car that had been prepaid. Although this was unacceptable, I really feel sorry for the people behind me! Seems like all management can do is apologize. Let's help management out: DON'T RENT FROM THIS PLACE.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I recently booked a 6 day vacation through Expedia which included a terrible flight with Spirit Airlines, and an even worse experience with Budget Car Rentals. This was supposed to be a joyful reunion with my family whom I haven't seen in about 7 years! I had a car reserved with Budget at their Logan Airport location and was "greeted" by a racist counter associate that tried to sell me every conceivable upgrade possible. I declined and accepted the basic reserved vehicle. Mind you this was Jan. 6th, single digit temps. with a wind chill effect.

I pulled out for the hour-plus drive to N.H. where they all live, and 15 min. later, just outside of Boston, the warning lights come on. The first one said "check engine", the next one said, "Check electrical system". I pulled into a Burger King and called customer service, who in turn called their towing contractor. A few min. later the towing co. called me and informed me it could take 1-3 hrs. for them to arrive. I then called customer disservice and told them I would leave the keys with the Burger King manager, and I wanted a refund. His response was "No Refunds"! I had to have my brother-in-law drive down from N.H to pick me up. I have called and e-mailed them numerous times but no reply! I now drive around with a big sign on the tailgate of my truck, warning people not to rent from Budget/Avid! They rent mechanically unsafe vehicles, and care more about the money than the customers! HORRIBLE COMPANY! SHAMEFUL!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Met our son in Florida for a weekend. His airline was arriving before ours. Reservation for car was put in his name. He is 24 years old. We were told by a Budget customer service agent since he was active duty military under 25 years old that he would NOT be charged extra for the car (under age of 25 years old are sometimes charged extra) as long as he shows military ID and had a credit card in his name. He was charged DOUBLE of what the reservation email stated. We have called Budget four times since and are told something different every time we call. Not sure who to call or who to believe. Very dishonest company. I am so disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

On December 22, 2017 we arrived at the Budget rental counter to pick up a minivan that had been reserved since July. We stood in line for over 1 hour because they only had one employee working. We were finally assigned a vehicle. When we arrived at the designated space, the vehicle was a VW Beetle. So we went back to the counter. After getting another assignment, we walked around the van but didn't see any problems. The following morning we got back in the van only to be alerted that one of the tires was down to 16 pounds of pressure. Of course we stopped at the first station to fill it up at our expense.

Later that same day, our son noticed wax marks on one of the front tires notating a bulge in the tire. We immediately called the company but were told that there was a vehicle shortage because of the holiday. We were told that we could have the spare tire put on. Of course, the spare was a doughnut and we all know that they are not safe to be driving on for any length of time, much less in city traffic. We decided to air up the tire and watch the bulge until the day after Christmas. I spent most of the morning on the phone with Budget trying to get this dangerous situation dealt with. We were told again that there was still a shortage of vehicles because of the holiday and that we could go to a Firestone dealer and they could take care of our situation.

We did go to a Firestone dealer but they had no clue what we were talking about and they couldn't help us. More phone calls were placed and I finally demanded that a safe vehicle be delivered to our location before the end of the day. We waited all day but we did finally get another vehicle. When we returned the vehicle back to the airport, we went straight back to the Budget counter to discuss our situation. The customer service representative called the manager and explained our situation and stated that the van had been taken out of service because of the bulge but when we showed up, someone decided to put our lives in danger by going ahead and renting it to us. The charges were refunded and they apologized at that point.

On January 20, 2018 we received an invoice from Budget Rental for $436.11 for the tire damage, tow and administrative costs. We did NOT cause the damage so therefore we should not be responsible to pay for such terrible service!! Whatever you do, don't ever rent from Budget or their affiliate Avis if you value your life!!! I guess I didn't realize that money is that much more important than our lives!!! Needless to say we are appalled by the terrible service that we received!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I needed a rental car quickly after my car died. Enterprise needed a credit card which I was not able to give at that time, I asked if they could just use my debit card but they turned me down, and lost my business. I called Budget, who told me they could run my debit card to perform a credit check, and then use that. They held a car for me to pick up the following morning. Everything worked out great, we got an SUV that was in perfect condition, clean inside, etc. The Customer Service (Chicago, IL) was excellent. Dropping off the car was just as easy as picking it up. No crazy charges, no questions, no hassle. I would definitely use Budget again!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I was returning to Charleston SC on January 4th 2018 after a family vacation after being delayed by a freak snowstorm, Charleston airport was closed and we had to spend the night in Atlanta. We were able to fly to Myrtle Beach SC on January 5th 2018. I have been a customer of Budget since 2000 and have rented lots of vehicles over the years, I picked up a Ford Explorer at Myrtle Beach airport for a one way trip to return the car on the 6th to Charleston airport and pick up my car that was left in Charleston airport parking, after getting back to my home in Johns Island SC that night the temperatures dropped into the teens and made all roads impassable.

I contacted Charleston airport Budget rental car desk but there was no answer due to roads being impassible no staff went to work and the airport was still closed, I contacted the Budget main call center and they told me to keep the car until the roads were safe to travel and return the car and I would not be charged. The governor declared a state of emergency and the airport remained closed and the freezing temperatures continued, the airport reopened on the 8th and I returned the car on the 9th, but my credit card was charged over $500, all I got refunded was $37 after numerous and tedious calls to customer service.

I explained that roads were impassable and I could not return the car but they refused any refund after the first agent assured me I would not be charged. I was extremely disappointed with the whole experience and lack of customer support, I will be renting from another company going forward, how can they charge people for weather related issues that are out of our control. Consumers beware!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I had to travel to be with my family when my father was very ill and in the hospital. I booked my rental (in Charlotte, NC) through Expedia. The car interior was extremely soiled (looked like someone had urinated on all the seats), called to report, they were very apologetic; stopped at a store, returned to car, wouldn't start. Called roadside assistance with Budget, they dispatched someone, but charged me - seemed terrible since I was already paying for the car. Wrote a complaint, they responded (my recap), "Gosh we're sorry we didn't meet our own expectations, we're not going to give you any compensation, but thanks! Your complaint will help us improve". Rotten car, rotten service. Won't use them again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I Booked car in advance and paid the amount. But when I reached the destination there was not small car for which they offered me an SUV. Later they asked me to sign the documents, I thought it was a free upgrade but they charged me lot for that without giving proper information. Now they refuse to pay back as I signed the documents though the mistake was from their end. This is not expected from someone like Budget.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Rented vehicle 12/22. Returned vehicle 12/27. While at the airport gate waiting to board flight I realized I forgot my diamond ring in the car cup holder. Immediately contacted budget to notify at which time I was informed the Raleigh Durham location would be notified. We (husband and two daughters) got home and still had not received email/VM notification. I called customer service back at which time I was informed the location would not be alerted for two days. My heart sank. I knew I’d never see my ring again and I haven’t. Now every 2-4 days I get an email informing my ring still has not been found. UTTERLY RIDICULOUS.

Don’t rent from Budget. Their commitment to customers once the car is returned does not EXIST. I haven’t been able to speak to anyone one at the location. The phone rings non stop then eventually transferred to a large call center. Think about this! The first person I spoke to when I reported my issue had he been upfront I would have paid additional money for a later flight and went and picked up my RING.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

They need to change the company name from Budget to Reservation Failures. Why in the hell would someone go through all the time and effort to reserve something to have it not be there when you arrive. You take months to plan, you finally arrive, and there is a ** worker at McCarran who says “I don’t know what to tell you, we don’t have any cars to rent you.”

What the hell you mean you don’t have any cars? I reserved 2 months ago. This means you had 2 months to get my car there and ready. Then the idiot says “you’ll have to call a cab don’t know what else to say.” Are you serious? Didn’t even say “I’m sorry.” No. None of that, I was treated like absolute garbage and I’m gonna report this company for the rest of my life till my fingers bleed before I allow this company to ruin someone else’s vacation. Sincerely a guy who flew 2400 miles to be on vacation for only 48 hours who paid $400 for flight and hotel just to find out the rental company just screwed up my whole trip. Absolute joke of a company that needs to go out of business.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I recently rented a car for my son for 8 days through the airline. The price was reasonable. My son had to extend his trip by 2 days and Budget is charging him more for those 2 days then for the 8 days. When he originally called to extend he was told a different amount. I will never use Budget and will tell any and every one I cannot to rent from them.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I initially rent a car with 7 days, prepaid it, then did a modification to shorten it to 5 days (2 days later in pickup date), which reduce the total amount of cost, the difference is about $180. There is no warning said anything about modification to cause an overpayment is not refundable. Also check out FAQ it clearly stated prepaid reservation can be modified, any overpayment will be refunded after agreement is closed. After 1 week of waiting, I called Budget customer service ask for the refund status. Surprisingly they said it's not refundable for any prepayment! They want me to check out their terms & conditions. I did, it says "early return" is not refundable but it's not my case!

I moved pickup date 2 days later, the representative said "oh change on pickup date is also considered as early return, follow the same rule", I really want to say the ** word that guy should really go back to school learn English. To me, it's a robbery. One more thing, not only the online FAQ says overpayment of modification will be refunded, the e-receipt I received also has a $180 "refund from T/A" item. They can do anything to steal money from your pocket, lie in FAQ, lie in even receipt. I already setup a dispute from Bank. Hope it would work. I will never never work with this crap again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

My recent rental car experience with Budget Rent-A-Car was nothing but a total disappointment. STAFF AT FRONT DESK: Totally unprofessional, rude, and inconsiderate. Their total focus is not to win you over but to rip you off! CARS: Old fleet of cars and most are in bad shape mechanically. Two cars both with same problems. CAR INTERIOR: Dirty and filthy outside and inside. One can smell strong cigarette smoke and had weird unbearable odor. Forget about cleaning. No one even takes pride in getting it presentable say vacuuming the vehicle, check windshield wiper condition or windshield liquid or other fluid, etc.

STAFF AT THE CAR RETURN: A little better than upstairs but too few in number to handle number of returns. The one we had the experience had an attitude and total dislike for Budget customers. It's like he was doing us a favor... Later upon review of my bill, I noted extra charge without any disclosure and no fault of mine. I strongly urge someone from Budget Rent-A-Car Corporate must pay some attention to this location. Unfortunately, this place is in a sad shape and is hurting Budget Rent-A-Car brand and image!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Be very careful when you're picking up your vehicle. This company (and Avis - they're the same company really) will try to load you up with all sorts of unnecessary add ons when you pick up your car, even if you've already made all your choices and submitted payment beforehand. The area in the Dayton terminal is very loud due to the close proximity of the baggage claim area and though the customer service rep we encountered was very friendly, she also talked and laughed so much that it was distracting and it was also hard to understand everything she was saying due to the noise. We ended up accidentally agreeing to very expensive additional insurance coverage, that actually cost more than our round trip tickets to Dayton! We didn't realize that we were signing to pay an additional fee - we thought we were signing to pay what we'd ordered online.

When we returned the vehicle, we realized that we'd paid nearly $1000 for four days of a rental car! We tried to discuss this with the manager but he would not come out and talk with us. We tried calling corporate (numerous times) but they only stuck to the assertion that we had agreed to this and that "the manager heard us agree to this" (an impossibility since he was in the back, at the other counter, and the place was extremely loud anyway). In fact, we had stated emphatically several times during the CSR's spiel that we did NOT want any additional insurance. We will never use Budget or Avis again, though we travel often for business and pleasure and often use rental cars. VERY unhappy and I believe their actions were very, very unethical. They get bonuses for these add ons. PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION if you decide to give them your business.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I arrived in Pittsburgh on Christmas eve 2017 with a reservation my brother made on Expedia. The bill was $292.87. I am a Hertz guy, yet dad was in a fight for life and this is what I got. My birthday was a week earlier, I renewed my license online, and realized before the flight I needed something that said I had a valid license. I got the local police station to give me a letter after checking it out with the state.

It was 11:00 ish at night, with a blizzard outside the desk. The Budget lady refused my license and letter. After explaining that I was needed at the hospital, she refused repeatedly. I asked for her to put the manager on the line. He approved it after looking at my documents and checking online. By then it was 11:30 and I had a 2 hour drive to Erie. The ** at the counter said, "Look outside. You are going into a storm and should have more insurance." I accepted it after she totally intimidated me with fear and no sense of compassion. I returned the car with a full tank of gas and no accidents 7 days later. They whacked my card for $956.

I have called customer service to ask what was going on with the more than double charge. They refused to work with me. I asked for a manager. The manager said they would not help and offered me %20 off of the original amount before taxes and fees. I got a whopping $42 coming back. I explained that if they did not have anything other than that that my only recourse is to never use Budget or any of their affiliates. Guess I am no longer a Hertz Gold member. I feel that this Budget, Avis, Hertz Alamo monopoly needs to be broken up. I guess Sixt and Thrifty just got my business. My next recourse is to run this up the flagpole in the Social Media world. I am relentless. Good luck. Your lost customer.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I write this letter in regards to my extremely UNPLEASANT rental experience on Monday, 12/18/2017. This was our first rental experience with BUDGET. My Son-In-Law is ACTIVE MILITARY and gratefully embraced the BUDGET MILITARY DISCOUNT. Upon the arrival of himself and his wife to receive the vehicle; they were met with a ridiculously unwelcome reception by a lady at the Murrieta BUDGET named Tiffany (at least that’s the name the woman gave) at a facility being renovated, and no clear BUDGET signs whatsoever.

My Son-In-Law who is extremely well mannered likened the experience to going to the dentist. My Son-in-law & daughter opted NOT to rent the vehicle. Upon returning to our home, I said “Nonsense, I will rent a car there and you can have mine for the week,” I drive to Murrieta Budget with my daughter and I am immediately met with negativity and great opposition by the exact same dark haired receptionist named “Tiffany”. I interject with questions and the dark haired unhappy receptionist retorts instantly with one-word answers. I was appalled. But, we needed to rent an additional vehicle for our family for the holidays and I never imagined she would violate my very values and disrespect me.

When I questioned the receptionist, she was aggressive. When I asked for a manager her anger escalated. The worst part of this was when I requested a manager walk the vehicle with me, because I was not comfortable with the receptionist, the receptionist screeched, “I am NOT renting to you!” YES, this happened to me. A consumer. The manager “Amber” (That’s the name she gave) approached me and readily agreed to help me to the vehicle. I immediately informed her during the inspection that the vehicle smelled like extreme cigarette smoke, later I noticed she noted “light smoke smell.” She never spoke a word about returning the vehicle... Who? What? Where? When? It made me uneasy.

Upon inspection, it was noted to the Manager, that the vehicle was extremely intoxicated with Cigarette smoke. As an asthmatic person with intense allergies, I begged for another vehicle, they said, "There was not one available – call the 800 number." So I return home, driving the whole way with windows down and 58 degrees and immediately call the BUDGET Customer Service. The man I spoke with was apologetic and said- "I am going to credit you a day for your troubles and tomorrow you can go to ANY BUDGET and exchange your smelly vehicle for one you can enjoy for the week." I felt frustrated but relieved there was a resolve.

Tuesday 12:00 pm we arrive in Temecula to exchange the vehicle, because it is extremely awful and the smell is unbearable. I had a headache for three hours from driving that car! I couldn’t wait to switch it out and head to the sites! BUDGET Temecula, had a tattooed manager in a grey tank top who informed me, in front of my children-no less- "Sorry, we have no cars! Sorry you drove here- sorry you changed your plans and sorry it stinks, but we don’t have anything." She then opened the key cabinet to visually show me the lack of keys. I objected, she then told me that, “you should never listen to the 800 service, they don’t know, they never know how many cars each location has.”

I retreated. This has already been a great effort, what am I to do??? No one cares??? I left with my allergy meds and windows open- down the road. We didn’t get to see the sights or visit the things I’d hoped. Our rental car was only used as a necessity- my family basically drove me. It was such a horrible experience, I had already VOWED NEVER to rent from BUDGET again, when I called to find out where we could drop the vehicle off. We were leaving out of Los Angeles International (LAX) at 6am. I was instructed by a BUDGET agent that I could NOT return the vehicle to LAX- It MUST be returned to the SAME location it was rented from, MURRIETA, CA. I instructed my husband this and he said “don’t be silly, I rent cars all the time, you can return it to any of their lots."

After multiple 800 calls it turns out we can leave the keys to our vehicle at the location we rented it from in the drop box. We DO NOT have to be PRESENT!!! Hallelujah! My Husband makes his way to Murrieta, CA to follow me and pick me up. This whole experience has been quite the debacle. When we arrive, there is NO DROP BOX!!! We speak with management at the 800 number and we were instructed to drop the keys off in the drop box- although this location, (we told them the exact location) doesn’t have a DROP BOX!!! Management says there are no other options for drop off (we suggested taking it to another location. We suggested leaving the vehicle unlocked with the keys).

Our family pulls and stretches our resources and gets the keys on time to BUDGET. HOWEVER, I am greatly disappointed and disgustingly appalled! We set out to enjoy a week with our daughter and son-in-law, what we received was nothing short of a nightmare. It is evident that BUDGET RENT A CAR encourages a culture of carelessness. I have never had a more horrible experience on multiple levels with no regard. I challenge the CEO and management at BUDGET to experience the same thing my family did and tell me my BUDGET experience was professional. My card has been charged- the full amount, No fees were forgiven, as I was told--- and BUDGET continues to evade my calls and complaints. I demand a full refund for this atrocity, and an apology from your company. This is a truly unacceptable experience, but upon looking into BUDGET’S social media and Yelp reviews, I see this is the norm.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I reserved a rental for 8 days on August 31, 2017, for a December 22nd pick up at Orlando International Airport. I prepaid in on 8/31 and scheduled my pick up for 1:00. I entered the line at Budget at 12:30p.m. for a 1:00 pick up. There were approx 9 pickups ahead of me. There were 4 Customer Service Representatives working when I entered the line (for about 15 minutes) then 2 went on break. Then one came back an hour later and there were 3 working for the 3 hours I waited in line before my rental was ready. I could see the employees coming in and out of the break room from the line (which looked as though it was shared with Hertz). There were 3 customers that were brought ahead of the others in line so we continued to be pushed back in line as others that never got in line were accommodated.

At 3:00 when I finally was next in line, I was called over to be told that GPS was an additional $100 and it was highly recommended I add an additional $400 of insurance to the rental which I had already denied. I had prepaid $963.53 in August and did not want to waste time discussing additional coverage after traveling 7 hours only to wait in line an additional 3 hours. The Customer Service Representative was curt with me stating, she was sorry for my wait and yes, she knows she is going to have to deal with all the unhappy customers because she represents the company at the moment.

I asked her to kindly get my paperwork together so I could pick up the rental as my 3 children and husband had been waiting 3 hours as well. She informed me that due to my request of a large SUV, my rental needed to be built. In short, they did not have it ready and share rentals with Hertz so I would continue to wait. I then got angry and asked if I should have reserved my rental last January to get it before Christmas 2017? Again, she was curt and offered a sarcastic apology.

I was able to pick up the rental before 4 p.m. only to have the check engine oil go on 2 days into vacation for the duration of the time we drove it. It came on every 10 miles I drove. The rental, a Suburban XL, was hosed off before we picked it up so when it dried, there was white sand like dirt in clumps in the windows and doors. I was also charged $9.99 for .4 of a gallon of gas that the rental was supposedly short of what I picked it up with. TOTALLY disappointed and highly unsatisfied with this experience and will never use Budget again. I sent a survey in with my experience concerns as well and was never contacted.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Worse company to deal with. They overcharge without even letting us know. We call to ask why. Answer from all three representatives were all different. So not only they couldn’t answer my questions, they overcharge my account.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I rented a car for a week because my car was totaled and they insisted it was going to be around $214 with a $200 deposit that you would get back which was fine. I return the Car and I get charged $880!!! I could've put a down payment on a car for that! I called and they showed, “Oh no there was an error on the bill and it'll only be $414.” I was fine with that. I look at my account and sure enough they take out $880. I keep trying to call and I'm getting nowhere. False advertisement, they lie, and they rob people not caring about anyone's situations.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Booked a car from Budget in West Palm and returning to Orlando. Estimated charge 228 from Saturday to Thursday. I arrive in West Palm and go to pick up car. They go thru the questions, insurance, gas, gps, etc. then flash up on the screen for me to sign the estimate and accept the car terms. $405.00 is the new estimate, Seems the reservation I had with and Estimated charge of $228 did not include the mileage (yes for some reason is not unlimited and not calculated out like they did at the airport). I am driving from West Palm to Orlando was KNOWN when I booked the reservation, why wouldn't you use the same calculation on the Reservation estimate??? Oh... I know why... Because no one would booked it. They did offer me an unlimited mileage car at $170.00 per day cause it was last minute. Refused to call the Manager or Supervisor for me. Left the airport in an Uber. I will NEVER rent a car Budget again!!!

Budget Rent-A-Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

• Best for: Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information

www.budget.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use