2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.11/5

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Booked and paid for rental vehicle on Friday, September 4th 2020 via the 800 number. Was told that all locations (6 or so) would be closed the following day which was a Saturday. They had 2 that I could go to and pick up vehicle. Went to one of the said locations at 2 pm only to be told that they had no vehicles and I missed the time slot to pick one up. Was directed to local airport. Started going there and decided I would call ahead so that they would have car ready. Called and as usual in this story, it rolls over to the corporate call center.

I never once throughout this entire process was able to get someone on the phone locally. I'm pulling into the airport as directed only to found out that they had no vehicles available. Upset, I called the main customer service number and they agreed that since no vehicles were available that they would give me a refund. That's where the real problems started. We are NOW at 3 weeks and no refund and me calling at least a dozen times. Do yourself a favor and stay clear of this company. Let them go bankrupt as they should. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! As of writing this, since using my debit card, I still haven't received my money outside of what my bank credited to me due to filing a complaint.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Are you kidding me with a $9.99 gas charge? I filled my tank up so much before returning it that it overflowed from the vehicle... This will be my last rental with Budget! I called multiple times during my rental so I could talk with someone and was not able to speak with anyone... The car was filthy... smelled of stale cigarettes and had cat hair all over the back of the vehicle... My wife is allergic to cat hair! We had no idea what was making her sneeze and itch... I emailed too and never received a call back. I am a RapidRez/FastBreak Customer. I am to go right to the car parking lot and by-pass the counter. No one was at the car lot! I had to go back to the airport. There were 25 people in front of me... Only 1 person at the desk.... There were another 15 people behind me.... It took an hour to get my car. Horrible experience! Never again!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

We used to rent here all the time but never again. I paid for a muscle car rental two weeks in advance for a trip with my son. They informed me on pick up that they offer no such type of rental yet never bothered to contact me about it. I was given a V6 Camaro with no price adjustment. The car was filthy. I had to pull over to clean the windshield so I could see. It smelled like cigarettes on top of all that. I tried contacting the manager several times. No callback. My son left his hat in the car and never got a call back on that even though I tried getting in contact with them the next morning. These people are rude and will blame you for renting something they don't provide. The lady actually laughed at me for expecting a car I reserved and paid for. If you don't offer certain types of vehicles they should be removed from your site.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Read the fine print and then assume they’re going to find loopholes even in that. We had a Covid related emergency and had booked through Priceline. Priceline directed us to budget. Budget directed us to Priceline, And they both charged us for two days rental for a car we only rented for a total of less than three days.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Absolutely horrible experience from Budget/Avis. Do not rent from them. They are shady and very unprofessional. When I went to pick up my reservation they said they had one car left and I could take it or leave it. It was $250.00 more than my initial reservation. At that point, I was stuck and HAD to have a car. If there is a Bait and Switch, Budget/Avis sure do it. I don't normally write reviews, but save your self the hassle! Even if you have it in writing, they will NOT honor it. The reps are horrible as well.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

TLDR: 12 hours into the car breaking down and we’re stranded in middle of nowhere Delaware waiting on a replacement car that no one can provide an ETA on.

At 10:22am this morning we stopped to get gas on our way home from a camping trip. When we tried to start the car again nothing happened. We immediately called roadside assistance who insisted we just needed a jump and she would send someone out in 30 minutes (mind you we were stuck at a gas pump getting dirty glares and curse words). 2 hours later no one showed to give us a jump so we convinced a nice stranger to help, and just like we thought, it wasn’t the battery. So we’re still stuck at this gas pump and it’s been 2.5 hours. At this point we call back and tell them the car just needs to be towed and we need a replacement. I’m transferred 3 times before something is set up. The tow truck driver arrives another hour later during which time we’re told he’s 45 minutes away, then 60, then 90, then that he’s apparently actively towing our car (spoiler, he was not), and finally 5 minutes away.

Once he shows we force them to call us an Uber to take us to the location to pick up our replacement car (I say force because this required another 3 transfers and a small dose of Karen to get them to not leave us stranded at the gas station with all of our camping gear and my dog). So then the driver takes us to pick up the replacement car they’ve “secured” for us. We get there and I kid you not this place is closed. So now we’re stranded 30 minutes away from the last place we were stranded and even further away from our final destination. We’re there for another 2.5 hours calling everyone under the sun trying to get some help. They tell us the closest car is 3 hours away and they can have it delivered to us.

At this point I’m at medium Karen and convince them to put us in a hotel room while we wait since WE’RE STRANDED IN A PARKING LOT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. Once we’re at a hotel they let us know that even though the car Budget gave us had a faulty starter and we’ve now been begging roadside assistance for help for 7 hours, and we STILL don’t have a car, we’re somehow expected to return the car to LGA (a 4 hour trip) by 10pm! At this point I completely lost it and had to be transferred 8 times to get to someone senior enough to actually help me. During this time they spent 2 hours passing me from Budget to Roadside to Customer Service and back again.

Eventually they told us our car would be here in an hour and we could return at 10pm the next day. Well it’s now been 4.5 hours since then and still no word on the car. We called back and were told it will probably be another 3 hours and the town driver couldn’t find the car. At this point I’m not sure when we’ll even make it home. We’re both missing a day of work since it’s too late to drive back now, and we can’t even go to sleep to try to get over this awful day because we’re waiting on a car that may never come. Just pay the extra money and go with a company who gives a crap about their customer because it’s definitely not this one.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

Don't use Budget Car Rental!!! I picked up a vehicle from the airport for a week with Priceline for $236. Budget told me that I can extend over the phone for the same price I paid with Priceline by calling the # on the reservation envelope. Well 23 days of having the car, I dropped it off early. They never sent me the bill but I got notification from my credit card I was charged $3900!!! Well after much back and forth, they finally sent the bill. They charged me $25 PER HOUR and a $600 RECOVERY FEE!!! Customer service is AWFUL and not helpful. DO NOT GO TO THIS COMPANY, they are scammers and a rip off. I will be disputing it with my credit card company since Budget is not making it right.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

We booked a truck, months in advance, because we were traveling with a family member with a heavy wheelchair and needed the space. When we arrived on the time and date of the rental they had NO vehicles and a very long line up of unhappy travelers. You could tell from the clerks' response that this was a typical day for them. They ended up having no truck for us, we lost a day of holidays having to figure out a different way to transport our family.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I am not one who normally posts detailed reviews, but I had such a horrible experience with this organization that I felt I had to warn others. I reserved a rental online and arrived to the location with no employees there to provide me with the vehicle. After calling several times the organization was completely unable to help me or find somebody to help with my situation. The customer associates are not empowered at all to help customers with issues. They would not even provide me with a refund. Truly unbelievable, do not use this rental company!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I was on my way to Budget Rent-A-Car with their car and flat occurred two blocks away so I drove the car there and they charged 400.00 for a tire. If they would have checked the car before I left that would have resolved the problem.

Budget Rent-A-Car author review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information