Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.00/5

1956 Budget Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2019

I have rented Budget the past couple years for my annual trip after beginning to have less customer friendly experiences with other companies. Today, I was delayed on a flight from Chicago to Seattle due to storms. Due to being a Sunday, the offsite location where I had rented from closed early. A nice guy named Daniel informed me all other offsite locations were booked. When I looked online the SeaTac airport had outrageous fees and I would have probably shopped at another company offsite. Instead your representative Daniel was able to secure a SeaTac pickup for nearly the same price and it was for a full size up from an intermediate. Because of this experience, I will share my story and will look to Budget first, the next time I travel.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I had to change the return of my vehicle location due to my grandmother passing away. Since I would be traveling internationally but would be returning to the out of state location before needing to drive back home I called Budget and was told there would be a $348 fee for returning the vehicle to a different place. I was very upset given all the expenses I was already incurring unexpectedly. I did get the runaround the first attempt at getting the fee waived but I called back and spoke to a gentlemen (I wish I could remember his name) and he was beyond empathetic and helpful! He explained that with proof I could get the fee waived. He provided me with the steps to the process and was very patient.

I rent with Budget often for personal and work travel, but this experience during such a difficult time made me a loyal customer. Even when they are slightly higher priced (which is not often the case) I prefer them. I never write reviews but I feel it’s important to highlight when things go right just like we are so quick to do so when they go wrong.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Budget in Las Vegas, Montana, Florida is the best service. Budget Rentals in New York is a nightmare. Even to the point of being uncooperative. Probably due to many people renting cars daily and having other issues besides just renting the car, i.e., credit card issues, debit card issues, et al. Staff not as pleasant and helpful and professional as in other areas named above. I assume that the Budget in NYC is such a busy remote place and you can get lost finding the one at JFK Airport. LGA is more conveniently located and easier to find and you are able to park your own car in the nearby parking areas.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I love Budget Rent-A-Car. They are my favorite Rent-A-Car company. Perfect prices, good customer service and my favorite part is that not only do they have good cars, but the cars aren't the base trim. They are always top of the line or near top of the line trims. I have no complaints, maybe just a minor nit-pick and that is they should try to get more cars with sunroofs. Only like the more expensive cars (Volvo XC90, GMC Yukon XL, etc) have sunroofs. But that doesn't matter, I rented 13 cars from them last year (2018) and now in 2019 I'm already by the 3rd one. I love Budget! I hope they never change.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I rent from Budget about every two weeks or so for work - mostly in Phoenix. This past week I had to go to the counter because there was a mix up with my Fastbreak number. While there, I witnessed, a very rude and arrogant customer complaining about the prices. He proceeded to talk down to the rep as if the rep created the price list. He either wanted something free/price reduction and thought being loud would work - or - he is just a disrespectful person that needs to learn some manners.

Either way, kudos to Nathan, and the manager that had to get involved, for remaining professional and courteous. I did not have the same patience as they did and after the man looked at me and tried to get me involved, I said what every other person within hearing distance wanted to say to him - but I won’t repeat it here. Anyway, I’ve never had a negative experience with Budget and employees are always super nice, especially at Phoenix and San Antonio Airports. And to the guy from Florida - hopefully you can learn how to treat hard working people with a little more respect or I won’t be the last person to call you out on it. Talking to Jesus might help you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I had a terrible experience with Hotwire.com and them screwing up my reservation but Kahn at the Ottawa Airport (YOW) Budget rental desk was tremendously helpful! He was patient and understanding and helped save the day! Lesson of the day don't go through 3rd party companies like Hotwire.com. They will screw you over. Go directly to Budget.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Rented a car in Dallas. The car broke down and was picked up but was never provided another car. Disputed the charge on my credit card. Their version about what happened differed from mine and ended up having to pay $396 for a one day rental. If you have problems with your car, document everything. Will never rent another car ever from any rental car company ever!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I had a rental planned for my trip to California and last minute had to rent a car earlier than expected I had nothing but problems. I couldn’t combine the 2 rental dates. Spent hours on the phone with customer service only to get a runaround. Worst service ever.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I rented a van from Budget in Chicago and the car cut out while I was driving it after first picking it up. Dismissed it and returned the next day to find that it had died. Waited 70 minutes for roadside assistance come jump it, drove it 40 minutes to my final location, turned the car off and then tried to turn it back on... but it was dead. Called again and Budget told me they not send anyone out to swap out the car or replace the battery. Was told to call back when I was getting ready to leave so I could drive it to their drop off location, even though it wasn't open -- Budget was acting like they were doing me a favor.

I felt extremely unsafe driving an unreliable vehicle with a malfunctioning battery. Rep on the phone also threatened to mark the car as abandoned if I didn't wait for the tow to arrive. 90 minutes later... I had to flag down the tow truck because Budget gave them the wrong pick-up address. I was told over the phone I did not have to stay with the car so I handed their Budget-certified tow company the keys and Lyfted home. Called for a refund and found that Budget had no idea where the car was and that we were currently being billed for every day that the car hadn't been returned in addition to the roadside assistance and tow charges. Had to call the tow company myself to find where the van was located, something that shows laziness of company employees shoving work off onto their customers. In the end, I was still was charged for the day I had it rented even though the car was unsafe and not drive able.

Fast forward three weeks and I had a convertible rented through Budget for a parade. Showed up at noon to pick it up and was told that the convertible was at a different location and that I could drive up there to retrieve it or come back later and pick it up at the original location. Returned later that afternoon and was told the convertible was unavailable because it wasn't returned. I was given an option of a Jeep or Nissan... for a parade. Or, I could drive up to Lincolnshire and possibly see if something up there would work. My entire interaction with Budget has been extremely unprofessional, lazy and a headache.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

This is about the Budget Car Rental company in Israel. Mainly at the airport and in Jerusalem. On June 2019 - I rented a midsize car- Hyundai 25 from the airport. We arrived at 1AM in the morning. Went to Budget Desk. After a lengthy wait at the counter (slow, slow clerk...) filled all the paperwork and got the keys. Then, Headed all the way to a parking lot that had NO attendant, found the car, loaded the suitcases, Started the ignition, looking at the dashboard - 83,000 KM WOW. 3 yrs old car. SURPRISE --- the screen that suppose show info and enable to change Radio; WiFi; Bluetooth --is FROZEN. Went back all the way to reception desk and asked to replace the car - "There are no other cars available. Come tomorrow or go to Jerusalem." Next day - called the branches in Jerusalem - but no one wanted to handle it. "You should GO BACK to the AIRPORT office”.

So, called their main office and got the run around. Finally, after 3 days I made to their main lot at the airport, and the manger – after a 35 minutes wait - tried to fix the issue to no avail. Spent there 1.5 hours while he tried to find another car but there were no cars. That is BUDGET!!!! Poor company!!!! No replacement cars!!! The manager then sent us to the airport lot and told us to call on the manager on duty who supposedly will replace our car as he spoke already with him to do so. OK, drove over there - and this is already into the 3rd hour of wasting time on this issue. Got to the office. The so called Manager with a bunch of his co workers standing outside of the office - on the porch – smoking, talking and totally ignoring me. Finally, I asked "who is (the name I was given) the manager here?" One of the guy says in an apathetic attitude: "Yes, it's me."

I said, "I was sent to you to get a replacement for my car, as I was told they spoke with you from the main office..". He says: "I don't know who told you this. We don't have any cars." HA? “But, I see some in the lot" I said. So he answers: "I told you we don't have any." and he walks back to his gang and to sniff whatever joints. I called the reservation agency- through who I made my original reservation- and begged to do something. They managed to find a branch in Jerusalem which was willing to exchange the car. After 4 days without Bluetooth; radio, etc. - I got to the branch. Waited there for 2 hours until they found a car; washed it (not to the best) AND boom another clunker -- this time “only” 79,000 km and also 3 years old with NO modern features i.e remote locking/opening doors (you need to use your key to lock and open only at Driver's door).

AND to the WORSE of ALL. At the day of our departure drove to the drop of the car at Airport. Got to the station at 5AM. My wife (handicapped) and I (not so young) barely took out our suitcase form the trunk of this rented car and placed them on the curve next to the Shuttle bus. We're the ONLY one there. Went into the office to return the car keys and then returned outside to the shuttle car. A young man talking on his cell totally unattending to us. This goes on for a few minutes. Finally, I turn to him asking if he is going to take us to the terminal. He nodded to YES. Waited a few more minutes, while he does not move toward us, I asked him: “Are you going to load the suitcase to the van?” He replied angrily: "Why should I? Am I porter?" “HA? Excuse me - what did you say?” - I asked and he replied again: "I'm not a porter. Just a driver. I don’t suppose to load your stuff for the few Shekels tip!!!"

“Everywhere I went in the world - including here at this very office in previous times – we had the driver load the suitcase. Besides, as you see we’re very young and you see she is handicapped?" He answered: "Well, you should load the suitcases the same way you loaded them into your car - you can do so here too." I replied “My son-in-law loaded it for us." And before I finished the sentence he: "So ask him to load it here also." At that point I went inside the office angry and asked another young man standing there - doing nothing - if this the right practice here to do - not to load the shuttle bus by the driver" And he TOO repeated the same argument angrily.

I slowly loaded the suitcases into the van while this jerk standing there and watching me. If this is not cruel – I don’t know what cruel is. This is the most CRUEL company with the most disgusting staff I ever came across in Israel and to that matter at any other rental company in the world. DO NOT EVER rent a CAR FROM these CRAPPY people and COMPANY!!! NEVER!!!!

Budget Rent-A-Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

• Best for: Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information