1.11/5

1692 Budget Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I will never rent a car from Budget again, They did not honor my reservation. I recently travel to Quito, Ecuador and I made a reservation with Budget. I included a Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI), and at the counter in Quito, that insurance appeared as medical insurance (which I asked to be removed). Although I present my reservation. The employee denied that I had included an SLI and tried to sell me one. I thought "I" made a mistake and accepted to buy it. I mentioned him "few times" that I needed only the third party protection (liability o SLI) because my American Express covers the rental car in case of a collision (LDW).

At the end, the employee sold me the basic coverage that covers the vehicle (my Amex had that protection) for $25 Dlls per day, which raised my estimate cost from $319 to $598 Dlls. When I returned from my trip, I found out that I actually did requested an SLI in my original reservation. I also found out that the insurance the employee sold me was not a liability, but the collision that I already had with my AMEX. They also tried to charge me for extra miles when I reserved an unlimited miles car.

I called Budget's customer support and their response was that I requested that insurance and that I was rude with the employee at the counter. Another concern was that the car was in really bad shape, not only the body, but the transmission which it could be dangerous when you try to enter a freeway a 45 kilometer per hour. I'm a frequent traveler and never encounter such a bad service. I feel I'm been cheated considering that my Spanish was limited to read the whole small, long witting agreement.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My sisters and I decided to rent a van we could all ride together to surprise our sister for her birthday. I have never rented a car before so all new to me. I picked van did my walk around like the guys told me to. Left in rain and picked my sisters and nieces up got on the road has we had 11/12 hours to drive. We want to have a day just spend with her. we drove in rain and fog. About 4:30 in morning I hit three raccoons instead of going in ditch. Keep in mind we are 700 from home. We stop to eat them check the damage which we then find the three tires are bald and the driver's back tire had wire showing 90% around the outside. We realize we were lucky we didn’t blow any tires.

This was about 9:00 in morning I called I rented the van and I got, "I can’t help you." I asked, "Can I trade for a different van." Yep have to find a Budget rental. They couldn’t help me on that. So I called my brother he found one an hour and half to two hours away. I thought I am not driving on these tires and pressing our luck and farther so we knew there was a place 20 miles from where we were staying. The gentlemen there couldn’t believe they let this van leave the lot so that made all of us even more nervous to drive it anymore we Called the place in Fort Collins CO which he was again no help wouldn’t meet us in Cheyenne Wy where we needed to be to surprise our sister.

Got roadside assistance and thanks to Haley she got it approved from the places I rented from but the gentlemens didn’t have any on hand and we needed to drive on the tires to Cheyenne which I couldn’t get ahold of Fargo to get the authorization information so I called Fort Collins’s Budget and the gentleman was rude asked me why I keep calling him because he can’t help me all I wanted was home to look I. My rental agreement and see if there was an authorized info for me and he blow up and said he wasn’t authorizing nothing. I hung up thought this was all bull...

Stressed I tried the place I rented from and got through the gentleman and the shop we were at talked got information for me and we went found the place the tires got replaced. I was Kaye to surprise my sister and had to leave in between to pick up van and I thanked the guys who changed them and they also couldn’t believe they let the van on the road for a rental van. To end this rant it’s all about customer service treat your customers with respect. I will never rent from them again nor will my other family members. I even gave them my insurance in case I had to pay. I didn’t fill any accident papers out so we'll see l. Bad first time rental experience the things I learned. Don’t pre pay, check tires and inspect thoroughly and take insurance????

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Budget charged my credit card for a parking ticket associated with the rental car I had even though I have never been in the state. All attempts to get the charge reversed have failed. It is impossible to contact anyone with any authority. This company is an expert at giving the runaround. I provided copies of credit card statements and toll charges with the vehicle's license plates demonstrating that I was in California on the date of the ticket, but they still charged my credit card. I called and emailed about 10 different departments and was given different information each time. Even though supervisors indicated they would research and call me back, no return phone calls were ever received. DON'T RENT FROM Budget unless you enjoy frustration and poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Recently I rented a car in the Kansas City Airport. This location doesn't prescribe to the national Budget/Avis 800 number customer service. God forbid you have a situation. I lost my keyless car key! You will not be found by the 800 call center for any customer type service help because this KC airport location is a franchise.

No one told me to call the local number.

Unfortunately I was put through HELL by the 800 national customer service number. Robots, script readers, put on hold, transfer, put back on hold, disconnected. I must have spoken to call centers around the world that day Oct 7, 2018. They had no idea what to tell me what to do. It wasn't in their search engine. Being hung up on an eternal hold. Frustrated me to a point I can't ever repeat. How could it not? I can't be the first to lose the car key in KC, Mo. Next time HERTZ in KC. Or Uber... it... $422.19 for New key? They found my credit card in a nanosecond. Renters BEWARE... DONE with Budget/Avis.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I rented a car at Pensacola Florida airport 9/30/18 and had prepaid the full amount. When I picked up the I was told there would be an additional $100.00 hold which would be refunded/released when I return the car on 10/6/18. I looked at my account on 9/30/18 and they had indeed debited my account $100.00. Today is 10/12/18 and I still don't have my $100.00 back. I called two days ago and they said they would expedite the payment. I called again today and they said they never "took" $100.0 that they just put a hold. He offered to start an investigation but I have to give my bank statement to prove they actually took the $100.00. DON'T EVER RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

If I can rate this location 0 then I would. Mez was nice but wasn't able to help. Told us to call their national line where they can easily make changes but we were sent back and forth by them. The girl that helped us doesn't seem to know anything. Made us pay for the winter tires which was an all season tires with a M+S symbol. Go to other rental places they might be more pricey but worth all the trouble that I have experienced. We had a much better experience with Avis across the street, only tried them cause it was cheaper but not worth it AT ALL. Will not come back especially not this location.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I rented a car in Las Vegas for 2 days, I paid daily insurance. The battery broke down on the second day. After 5 times car stopped on the road, I called company and asked to replace it. They did. When I gave new car back I went out with a check for $ 147, the same price as at the beginning, at home I found out that $ 543 was removed from my credit card. After 3 weeks of calls and emails with the “Budget” company, they told me that the money was withdrawn for a tow truck, as they did not find a breakdown. How can I prove now that the car was broken? Crappy company - what else to say. Make sure you do not use their service.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I was completely robbed by these crooks. Picked up a car at Orlando Intl. but had to wait in line for over an hour to reach the counter. These guys were the only ones with a line a mile long. Upon looking at the charges it amounted to almost $200 to rent a car to drive to Tampa. I am underage and was expecting the $30 surcharge and also prepaid for gas. However, quoting me forty dollars when booking then asking for two hundred dollars is ridiculous. Not to mention the associate I had to deal with was completely oblivious to how unhappy and fed up I and every single person on line was. I would have rather dealt with a computer. I am never using Budget ever again.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

There should be a "0 star" category. This company charged an additional $30 after the total car rental payment had been submitted. In addition, they placed a $100 charge as a hold for incidentals!! We are senior citizens and were treated as second class citizens by the customer service lady at the Fort Lauderdale airport.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I've used several rental car companies may times before, so I am aware of the "extras" that can quickly add up. However, our experience with Budget Rent-A-Car at the Dublin Ireland Airport was "exceptional." I reserved a car using Budget online and received a quote of 292.85 euro. When we arrived at the counter we were presented with a contract that totaled 715.60 euro. Shocked at our new price, we asked the gentleman, James, behind the counter why our quote was so much less. He said he wasn't quite sure, but that if we wanted our car we would have to pay the 715 euro. He circled a few 800 numbers on the contract and suggested we call them for more information. We were told we could dispute the charges later if we wanted, but that the price was the price. As our entire trip relied on this car, we reluctantly paid the 715 euro.

After, several months of working with Budget to "resolve" this issue (they "didn't receive" and "lost" documents), they decided they would not refund the difference in price. They acknowledged that I had a quote for 292, but decided they would stick with the price of 715, because, why not! I've used Budget to rent cars for years. They will never get another cent of my money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I was told by customer service when placing a reservation that it was easier to pre-pay. I did and my money was taken immediately only to be told at the rental location that I was unable to get the vehicle because I didn't pass a credit check. A credit check was never mentioned previously. My money was only partially refunded and I have been told that it will take an additional 5-7 business days although it has already been a week. Customer service is incompetent and rude. It also took forever to speak to someone and nothing was resolved. Do not do business with them! I will NEVER refer anyone to them or speak positively about this company.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have worked very hard to eliminate all debt and thus obtaining a zero credit score. When I was over $200K in consumer debt, I could rent from them. Now, they won't allow it. They took the money online just fine to reserve the vehicle, but then they do a credit check when you get there. A CREDIT CHECK AFTER YOU PAID FOR THE ENTIRE RENTAL! Of course I am not "credit worthy" because I am not trying to borrow money. I paid for it in full ahead of time. That was the whole point. Their competition has logical hoops (prove of employment and residency). I'm fine with that, but a credit check when I'm not using a credit device? Asinine!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Budget never filed my insurance claim and charged me almost $700 for a windshield. They didn’t not reverse the charges and told me it takes 3-5 days to receive a itemized receipt to submit to my insurance company. This should have been done on their behalf, all insurance information was given on the day of return. They did not contact me regarding making a withdrawal and took my personal money. Customer service is incompetent and rude. It also took forever to speak to someone and nothing was resolved. Do not do business with them!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My experience was horrible. My sister, her bestfriend and I booked a car online because their website specifically stated they accepted DEBIT cards AND credit cards. I needed a car due to my sister graduating in Florida Sept 22 2018. We get there, she takes my debit card & then says she can't use it because it's obviously not a cc so at that moment I was CONFUSED! I told her your website says u take debit & credit cards and she just looked at me then said, "yeah, if you can pass the credit check." So I was relieved and kindly gave her my ID & debit card again. I watched her SCAN MY DEBIT CARD, NOT MY ID, DIDN'T GIVE HER THE LAST 4 OF MY SOCIAL OR ANY INFORMATION, (ALSO SHE DIDN'T automatically pull it from anywhere because I didn't have to supply my social for booking the car) so she scan my debit card and handed it right back to me saying I didn't pass the credit check.

I was livid. I'm 25, credit score 625 & didn't pass her "credit check". I had with me a 23 & 24 yr old & she wouldn't let them change it over saying they would have to book their own car, like separate transaction, totally got that part, but here's the killer, SHE WOULD HAVE TO CHECK TO SEE IF ANOTHER CAR WAS AVAILABLE, BECAUSE WE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO USE THAT ONE. THEN because they were under 25 they needed a major credit card too. Okay, done deal.

So as we're sit inside, googling another agency, she rudely tells us that we're loitering and she'll call and have our car towed if it continued to sit in her parking spot because after 15 mins they're legally able to have your car towed & we weren't conducting business. OVERALL A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT, graduate was unable to walk across stage from graduating in Florida and MY CAR WAS TOWED!!! $199 for no reason. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND BUDGET/ AVIS CAR RENTAL TO ANY ONE!!! ADDRESS FOR THIS LOCATION?? 1803 Church St Nashville tn. Never again!!! Please do not waste your time!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I rented a car in St. Petersburg FL the afternoon of August 30, 2018. I returned the car to the Clearwater International Airport at 6 am September 1, 2018. I looked at my bank account on September 25th only to find they took out $250! I called the St. Pete office where I rented it and the man said he couldn’t even find me in his system! I called back and spoke with someone else a few minutes later that found my name/confirmation number and he said they charged me for “dirt”. When I dropped it off at Clearwater nobody was working so the men in charge of all rentals told me to park the car and drop off the keys. I did. I received NO call or nothing in writing explaining why they were taking the money from me. The customer service manager is looking into it and needs proof from them to why they took out my money. I’m sure they have rented that car a few times since I dropped it off Sept 1st. I have filed fraud charges on that company. Renters beware!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I made an online reservation for a week rental two weeks before p/u. Then I got a confirmation # the day before reminding me that my car was reserved for me the next day. When I arrived they told me they didn't have any cars. What a big waste of time they are...

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I rented a car Sept 10th. Returned it sept 15th. They were suppose to refund my deposit of $100.00. It's been 15 days and 3 case number, 5 phone calls and still don't have my money. This company is a thief. People never rent from them. I will be posting and calling Better Business Bureau. I will not stop contacting everyone to make complaints until I get my money. Mad customer.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Horrible customer service, I was on the phone today trying to resolve an issue, and from 2 pm to 5 pm, I was disconnected 5 times in the first hour, then from 3 to 5 pm, every single customer service rep I had was rushed, talking too fast to understand, either disconnected me or transferred me to another department or back to the original department that had transferred me to them, and in between, I was disconnected another 3 times.

Every transfer I was told was not the place I needed. At 5:08 pm PST, the last time I was transferred, the phone message was, "We are closed, but we can help you 24/7 online, fill out a form for customer service." That web page was not working so I went online to file a complaint and took 30 minutes to fill out the form only to get an error message, it didn't like my case number that they gave me. Unless, something changes drastically in this case, I am done forever with Budget and will leave this review at every possible place online I can. There is NO excuse to treat a repeat, long term or any customer like this.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I was supposed to pick up a rental car on 9/22/18 at 3pm from San Luis Obispo Regional Airport. The personnel at the counter assigned me a car Nissan Versa and charged me $55.27 for 1 day rental and $200 holding amount to my Visa credit card. Then, she asked me to sign a Rental Agreement which I did. Instead of someone taking me to the car, she just gave me the keys to the car and asked me to go on my own to an unsecured parking lot (opened, no fence) with no attendant. Usually, I understand there would be someone checking the car with me for any dents or damages prior to driving off the car. In this case, no one was accompanying me.

Even though I was in a hurry to drive off, my instinct told me to walk around the car and check before I board the car. Lo & behold, there is a huge, more the 1 ft. dent on the rear right hand side of the car which you may overlook unless you walk around the car. I didn’t go into the car and back away from the car. I walked back immediately to the sales counter, inside the airport and told her about the damaged. The sales person named Abby told me that she knew about the damaged and it was on my documents. So, I asked her where she mentioned about the existing damaged and she gave me a run around story. It was never mentioned at any place on the agreement. There was no check list, too. That’s when I asked for another car that I can rent and she said there’s none available.

At that time, I decided to cancel my agreement contract and she said no problem and gave me a ‘No Charge’ agreement. However, Budget has already charged me $250 and Abby said she can’t help me but I need to call Budget Customer Service. Also, she just closed the counter and left. I found I could not rent another rental car because my credit card is on hold. I spent over 1/2 hour calling Budget and my credit card company from the airport. My credit card company can’t do anything unless Budget start the ball rolling. I ended up taking a taxi to my hotel which is about 30 miles away which cost me additional money. I just want to let fellow travelers know about the unethical methods that Budget would do and would like to put an alert for whoever is traveling to San Luis Obispo Regional Airport.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I rented a car in April and months later in August a $250 charge popped up on my credit card. When I called Budget to see what the charge was for they said it was a cleaning charge but couldn't give me any other information. The man on the phone was very rude and not helpful at all. I asked for pictures and explanation on what I did in 2 days that required so much cleaning that costed $250. I wanted proof and they couldn't give me any other explanation except for that I signed the contract and told me that I should have vacuumed and cleaned the car before returning it! So, make sure you get your rental detailed before returning it to them. I will NEVER do business with or refer Budget to anyone ever!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I rented a Tahoe in Bellevue Wa drove the vehicle to Phoenix Az. Vacuumed the vehicle out and removed trash etc... Before returning vehicle to Budget. August 5, 2018. Then September 19, 2018 (50 days later) I happened to notice a credit card charge for $75 from Budget Rental Car. When I called to find out what the charge was for I was told mud on the floor. I am the type of person who believes in leaving things better than I get them and take pride in being clean. I usually do business with Enterprise car rental. But this time I was enticed by a rate that was slightly less than Enterprise. I will never do business with Budget again. 1) $75 cleaning fee unjustified. 2) Charge to credit card with no notice. 3) Customer service was horrible at pickup and drop off.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

So I booked my car through the website airportrentals.com. For some reason this website does not include the age fees into the price they give you, so my total at booking was $255 for 4 days. When I came for a pick up my total was $366 which is a $100 dollar difference, and I asked why and the lady at the counter told me because of the BOND. I told her I called your company a few days ago and asked about it, she told me there is no bond for a credit card. And then she realised that was an age fee. I was shocked, because I had $345 on my credit, and I couldn’t take the car. I was not prepared for that, and the website gave me the wrong total. I was in the middle of nowhere without an opportunity to rent a car.

People from Budget decided to help me, renting me out the car for three days and then extend it, when I figure out the situation with my credit. So I ended up paying $500 for Toyota Camry for 4 days. Just because I am 23, and no one can tell whose fault this is. They make you book the car for one price and take an advantage of your situation when you get there, and make you pay whatever they want, because you don't have a chance to try other services. (I got there very late night). So when you reserve a car, just double your rate right away, because they are going to find a way to add some random fees on you.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Do not rent from this company. The website rates go up as soon as you confirm the reservation. Then when you show up the rates go up again 2 1/2 times the ORIGINAL rate for deposit purposes. Then you may not get the car you reserved like we did. We booked it 2 months in advance and still did not get what we reserved. How much more notice do they need?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Beware!! If dropping off your car in Chicago on the weekend they close their inner city drop offs at noon (no one mentioned this when we picked the car up). Your choice is to bring it back Monday morning and pay over $200 extra. When we called to find an alternate drop off they twice sent us to a non existent location. Worst car rental experience ever! Guess that’s why they’re call Budget???

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Worst car rental experience EVER at this particular Budget office. Back to Enterprise we go. The car I was renting came in at 11:50am and the office closed at 12 noon. The Budget/Avis employees at this location were extremely lazy and did not clean the car AT ALL because they wanted to go home for the day. The car smells horribly, and the smell transfers to our clothing every time we use the car. The smell is either cow or horse poop. Not kidding here. We are guessing it was used on or near a farm? We called to secure a replacement vehicle, the 800 number is not helpful, nor are the lazy employees at Budget in Englewood.

NEVER AGAIN. I would avoid this Budget Rental car location at all costs. I will not use Budget again, ever. Can't make this stuff up. Honestly, I would not have written negative reviews if they would have provided a replacement vehicle, as accidents happen. Unfortunately, their customer service both Corporate 800 number and at the Englewood location itself are no help in fixing the issue.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had to rent a car last minute at LAX. I was in a hurry, as I had to get to a meeting two hours away. The desk employee at the front told me the price I would be paying. Keep in mind this is on a Sunday and it's after Labor Day weekend. I also heard others complaining of the same thing. Well, I asked the employee what price I would be paying and he said $567. I checked my bank account this morning and they removed $631. I know it doesn't sound like a large difference, but it's more than what I was quoted. Now, when I return the vehicle I have to take this up with someone and I don't really have the time. Not only does Budget take advantage of you when it's last minute, but then they add on additional expenses without your consent. PLEASE, rent from another car rental company! There are a several out there that will take better care of their customers.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

They lost cars in a flood apparently and they tried to downgrade us without telling us - and without taking money off. We specifically paid more money for a larger vehicle WEEKS in advance. We would have been totally understanding if they had called to explain ahead of time that they had problems with vehicles due to the recent floods. Nobody ever called or explained anything and just expected us to downgrade for the same price. We complained and got what we paid for/reserved but we had to wait an hour for them to find the vehicle. The employee literally wandered around the parking lot mindlessly for an hour.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

The lady at the desk that work for Budget at 6721 E independence she is rude to customers and she is not to be trusted. When we rented a car last Saturday she was very rude to us and unprofessional. She was pushing us around like we work for her. She is not to trusted. I told her after she gave us the car that she did not check how much gas in the car. I told her it only had 3/8 in the tank so she said bring the car to her from the parking because she did not want to walk. After that she got in the car she recorded the fuel but she refused to tell me how much she recorded. I kept asking her to show me. I felt that she was very unprofessional. Please see that lady to be replaced by a better person. And on the day of the return she is closed and the website said it’s open. She did not leave any info on where to drop the car prior to our arrival.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

When picking up the car at the Fort Lauderdale airport, the agent asked if wanted the insurance, we declined. It wasn't until we found the receipt days later that we realized the insurance they charged us incorrectly almost tripled the cost of the vehicle (from $138 to $373)!!! When I called customer support to report the problem and ask for a refund, they said there is nothing they can do because we signed the contract. Seriously? As if anyone actually READS the contract!?! I trusted that what we told her was what was being charged. Won't make that mistake again. And won't be renting from Budget again...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I rented and returned a vehicle to the Helena MT location of Budget. Realized when I got home that I had left my camera flash in console or on seat of the vehicle while removing all my luggage to leave. I called the office immediately and spoke to the desk attendant I checked in with (they have no lot attendant). He said he would go look for the flash and call me right back. I waited a day and then called back several more times over the next two days and spoke to two other agents who asked for all the same info about the rental etc. I finally called and connected to the original desk attendant who said he looked in the vehicle and did not see the item. He did not say when he looked. It was definitely left in there because I pulled it out of the vehicle console when gathering my bags to leave and would have put it in my carry on because of the battery.

All the people I spoke to at Budget said they would call me back and none of them called me back. Someone else obviously had to clean/vacuum the vehicle and would be the person who would have found the camera flash. The people working at this location were not really interested in helping me find this lost item or maybe they just kept the flash. I know it was my mistake for leaving it in the vehicle, but I don’t think any effort was really made to investigate my lost item. It makes me feel ripped off and like I should never use Budget again. I also tried to file a report through the Budget website, filled out a long form and explanation, then it would not show the Helena MT on their location list and would not let me submit the report. Very poor customer service.

Budget Rent-A-Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

• Best for: Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information