1.13/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1741 Budget Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Charged over 360 dollars for a car for 2 days. They told me full coverage insurance would only cost $30, but charged me over $120. Ridiculous small fees thrown in. Go with the other companies. These guys are a joke.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I rented out a car from Budget Wichita and I turned in 30 minutes late and was charged a whole additional day for it and on the top of it they contacted me after I left the car saying that there is a small crack on the windshield which I am not aware of. Pathetic service and the employees are very rude. Would never rent from them again.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

This is shocking, I received a mail today with a claim number stating I had to pay 3600$, for some damage which I never did, the budget office at Overland Park where I rented out the car from state that a patch on the bumper had been repainted. ARE YOU SERIOUS? I HAVE INSURANCE, WHY WOULD I REPAINT THE BUMPER? COMMON SENSE. I often rent the same model car Ford Mustang from the same location (119th Budget OP, KANSAS, 66210), the guy at the office says he found a small repainted bubble on the bumper? Seriously? How do you expect me to check the car on a cloudy day impeccably?

I TRUSTED YOU PEOPLE and rented the car. Please escalate this, I am not going to pay for something I did not do. I don't want my insurance company to suffer for something which I did not do. Please escalate this. I am going to make SURE none of the employees from my company (Sprint) or community members rent from this location or from Budget.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Brazenly overcharged! Triple check your bill and NEVER rent long term from this shop. Price quoted by a very friendly agent turned something very different. Based on the 1st page of rental agreement that I signed in June - monthly rate was $750. How exactly did this amount grew into the following charges on my AmEx Credit Card: July 8th - $1713.93 + a separate charge of $65? August 6th $1713.93. August 25th - $1713.93. Last charge August 25th was adjusted by $444.07 now is $1269.86 for the last 16 days of rental!!! I contacted management asking Budget Car & Truck Rental Administration to investigate the issue of overcharging and issue a credit/refund to me as well as an itemized paperwork explaining the charges. NOTHING. I had to apply to BBB of NH to help to resolve this mess.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Be AWARE of this. I would give them 0 stars but that is not an option so 1 star. I reserved a car 4 months before I had to use it to make sure I have a car and 2 months before the due date I see a decent price decrease online on the Budget website. Called customer service to get a price adjustment and the guys seems really nice and agrees to adjust my price. He even states I will get a refund within 7 days... All great so far until I read their email. It said the new price " I owe them $20 for the car". So I call them again thinking it has to be a mistake.

The new guy on the phone is saying is nothing he can do that he cannot match the price I talked with the 1st guy. Then I said at least change it to what was originally before they mess with it. He says, "Sorry is nothing I can do. I cannot match your original price even that the price is lower even right now." So I asked for a manager. She says the best she can do is change it back to my original price. I agree with it. I even asked her to ensure there will be no price increase. She confirms again that there will be no extra charges for me... Email comes in. There is still a $7 extra charge... It's getting super frustrating. I don't want to think what other problems will follow. I still have 2 months to get the car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I'm a displaced victim of the CA Camp Fire where my car was destroyed. After waiting over 3wks for a rental to become available I was forced to drive w/ my special needs child and his service dog, in a friend's car (also totaled), almost 100 miles to get the ONLY car available. Unable to travel at more than 40 mph due to the condition of the car I was driving I knew I would arrive approx 5mins after closing. When I called the office to explain the issue I was meet with open hostility who reminded of the business hours and informed me that the computers automatically shut down at 5pm. There was nothing she counseling do for me!

I told her I was aware of the business hours and I was hoping an exception might be made to prevent my son and I from sleeping in their parking lot. I said I was sure there was someone there with authority to keep the computers on for a few minutes longer. After sitting on hold for a ridiculously long time, the desk clerk returned stating "we'll give you FIVE minutes!" then hung up on me. After this encounter I called a friend I hadn't spoken with in over 10yrs in hopes that he still worked 20mins away from the agency. He immediately left his job to go there and wait for me. Unfortunately I got lost and was 8 mins late instead of 5 as I'd hoped. As a result, my friend who was directing me over the phone as to how to find them, was literally physically pushed by a clerk who was attempting to lock the door just as I was pulling into the parking lot.

When I got to the counter I was greeted by the same unpleasant clerk I dealt written on the phone. Still hostile, she asked when I intended to return the vehicle. I was unable to provide a date because I had no idea how long it might take to replace my burned car. I agreed to call and request an extension at by day specified and I made that call to a LOCAL branch two days before the deadline and was relieved to have reached a very pleasant counter agent who informed me their computers had gone down so she had to take my info by hand and enter it when they came back up which I learned when returning the vehicle apparently did not occur.

Two weeks prior to returning the vehicle, unable to reach anyone online at Budget's corporate office, I had to settle for writing a letter of grievance to the co's customer service dept in hopes the individuals involved might be held accountable. The only response I received was an apologetic form letter the next day. The rental car I had reserved two days before picking it up was dirty. I had to have it jump started by strangers on three separate occasions. In spite of that fact it was returned spotless, with a full tank of gas.

Because the local agent could find no record of my request for an extension he refused to provide me with a receipt stating if have to take the matter up with the office of origin. I requested to speak to a manager and waited over an hour while he called around trying to find one who promised an immediate call back while I was still there. That call never came but I was finally presented with a receipt. Frustrated, needing to go pick up my son, only later while looking over my invoice did I notice I had been charged a $400 late fee!? When I wrote to question these outrageous charges I was 'gifted' $100 refund!

After everything I had been forced to endure at the hands of this agency while trying to recover from the loss of everything I own, this feels like outright thievery. What other recourse do I have? I'm filing this complaint as a matter of principle. It has little to do with money me everything to do with finding a little justice. It seems no one is EVER accountable.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I've been using Budget for last 3 years. Took around 10 rental cars across different cities in USA. Only positive experience. Cars are always new and clean. Fastbreak is very convenient feature. The only negative experience is when I left my headphones in a car and wasn't able to get them back through lost & found.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Reserved and pre-paid for a full size vehicle, and upon pick up was informed that I needed a credit card to rent the vehicle, that my debit card would not suffice. Having no option I downgraded to a small vehicle just to be able to drive home as no one else was available on such short notice. To my surprise, Budget will not refund the difference even though it was three times as much. On top of that I was two hours late turning the car in, and they charged me a whole additional day. No attempt to make things right at all, just all about taking your money.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

If I could give this company negative stars, I would. Unacceptable, fraudulent business practices. I rented a car in Nov 2018 from the airport in Knoxville TN for a 2 day span, to be dropped at the airport in Memphis. I agreed to a charge of $190 and thought no more of it. I have always rented from Enterprise through Costco but they had no one way rentals when I needed one.

Upon checking my credit card account online about 2 weeks later the charge applied to my account by Budget was $860. I called Budget billing and was told the upcharge was because I modified my agreement and dropped the car off in New Orleans!! I assured her I most certainly did not drop the car off in New Orleans - how would I get home to my Memphis suburb? Nothing I said registered with her, she just kept insisting in broken English that she explain the charges to me. I told her I didn't care because it was incorrect.

After a few more minutes of arguing I told her she had the serial number, corporate number, etc there on the agreement so perform a rental history of the unit and ascertain from where it was next rented. She came back on the line in a few minutes and said with a straight face that it was rented out in Memphis 2 hours after it was returned to New Orleans. Add to that the out/in mileage indicated the 300 miles to Memphis, not 600 miles which would have been on the odometer if I traveled to New Orleans. They are going to 'investigate' the discrepancy.

I also contacted my CC company who issued me a credit for the overcharge. I contacted Costco Travel who was very upset about the poor customer service and business practices. I submitted all the documentation and a letter of explanation to them and they are going to investigate. They said this does not meet their high standards. Hope they drop Budget as a corporate partner. Regardless, I will never do business with Budget again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Rented a car from Budget in Las Vegas Nevada. When we came to pick up our reservation, the rep told us that they did not have any cars and told us come back later. When we returned they gave us Kia Soul. While driving from Las Vegas to Kanab (a 3 hour drive on a highway) the gas tank was empty - as if this was not an economy car. The next morning we were unable to start the car - even after trying to give it a boost. We called Budget and waited all day in the middle of nowhere with minus 25 degrees outside.

Close to 9 pm we received a replacement car (Kia Rio). When returning the car to the Las Vegas airport, we were billed for $2575 "For towing service". When arranging for the replacement car, nobody from Budget (neither customer service nor roadside assistance) told us about any additional charges. This scum business practice - they are giving you a faulty car and then charge you when the car breaks and you have no choice and need a replacement vehicle. DO NOT DEAL WITH BUDGET EVER - I KNOW I WON'T.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Very unsatisfactory service experience at Budget rental airport location today. I did online transaction to reserve vehicle today, everything went through ok online as I received a reservation # to pick the vehicle up. After arriving to the airport to pick the vehicle up, the Budget directed me down to the Avis counter where she informed me that they keep the keys??? But ok. The rep at the Avis counter informed me that she need to see my driver's license and credit card. I handed her both only to be told that they do accept Visa debit. I informed her that the money had already been devoted to my account. She just informed me that she was sorry about that and I would have to call main office to get a refund or be transferred to different location to pick up the vehicle.

The main office informed me that it would be an additional 32 dollars to pick up vehicle from the alternate location, but seemed unsure if it was daily or one time fee so I told him to just cancel and refund my money. I was then put on hold for 20-25 minutes only to be told that 1/2 my money would be returned in 48 hours and the other 1/2 would be returned in 3-4 days. Wow, that sucks. He further informed me that I would also receive notice of a cancellation fee, but assured me that I would not be charged for this and receive a full refund. Fingers crossed. Very unsatisfactory experience. Unfortunate.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I said the price was too expensive and asked if they have any discount or promotions going on and the guy name "Quang" just hanged up on me without saying a word. Terrible customer service and attitude.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Arrived to find 6 employees at stations behind the counter and not a single one took a customer. Two were laughing together. After 7 minutes one helped the person in front of me. After 5 more minutes I asked one woman if she could help me and she very curtly informed me she would let me know when she was ready for me. Finally a man took me. It was awful service. I'll never rent from Budget again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

My original reservation was for El Paso, Texas. The day of the reservation I had to change to Albuquerque location. The dates of the reservation did not change however I was charged double because they said the locations differ. I have called but your customer service several times and unfortunately their customer service department is outsourced and no one listens or cares about my charges. All they say is there’s nothing they can do. I think it’s asinine that I was charged double the price because of a pick up location change. Despite my several calls and complaints nothing has been done and for this reason I will never rent from Budget again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I had a pleasant experience with Budget in LA. I had reserved a mid size vehicle for travel while in NOLA but when I got to my car it was a Toyota Corolla, way too small for my 6'6" 300+ pound fiance. So I went back and the clerk named Jerrel was very kind and accommodating and fixed me right up with a standard SUV which was much more accommodating. Also, my phone died while travelling and she got a charger and let me charge my phone so I could have some service til I got to my room. I didn't expect that type of help! I will definitely go back!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Picked up car at DTW (Detroit Metro Airport) Sunday 23 December 2018. Drive about 20 miles, stop to buy some things and noticed that the front tires were bald and a large bubble near the rim on front left tire. Call customer service, they say has to be returned to DTW for exchange and they will issue a voucher for a free car the next time I rent. Dangerous situation but got the car back. Talked to a rep and she says, "Stand over there and we will get to you." Nothing after 15 mins, stand back in line behind 20 others. About an hour later finally get another car. Returned car on Dec 27 full of gas. Got home and noticed another charge for $70. Called customer service again, the charge was for gas. Now I have to send them the gas receipt. Got a voucher for $30 off my next rental. No way never again will I deal with Budget.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I rented a car from the Logan International Airport on 12/24/2018 at 5:30 pm and returned it on 12/26/2018 just around 6:30 pm. I called them up to inform them that due to several accidents on the way from New Jersey I will be little late (although I started much earlier but I got delayed). Normally other car rentals let go of little delay but they charged me 122$ for the delay and they wouldn't let go of it. This racist ** guy at the front desk won't even talk to me. Just printed me out an itemized receipt. The customer care was of no help either. Absolutely worst experience. I will never rent a car from them ever.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I reserved a car in Asheville, North Carolina. I had called them the day prior to my arrival to confirm that the SUV that I rented had 4WD. They assured me that it did. When I arrived, I was told that they did not have a 4WD SUV in the “class” of vehicle that I rented, and tried to charge me some exorbitant rate. I stuck to my guns and the gave me an “upgraded” vehicle for the same price. The challenging part of this came when I returned the vehicle. The day I was due to return the vehicle, we had a severe winter storm. All the flights leaving Asheville had been cancelled. When I called, the day before, I was told that the rental car agency never closed and that I needed to return the vehicle that day or I would be charged an additional $330.00. I reserved a second vehicle from them through Hotwire, a 4WD Yukon, for $160.00, the night before, for a one way trip to Tampa, just in case we were snowed in the next day.

As a result of the prior day's conversation, I was forced to drive through very treacherous conditions to return the car that I had rented. It usually takes 1 1/2 hours to drive from our house to the airport in Asheville. That day it took us 3 1/2 hours, on icy roads, in blinding snow. Asheville had already had 12 inches of snow, and it was continuing to snow. We arrived at the airport only to find that the car that I reserved was not there. I was told that they could close out the prior rental and they would reopen a second rental for the same vehicle. Their computer system was down and I was issued a contract that had nothing written on it.

As there were no prices or fees on the contract, I asked the sales associate what I would be charged. She informed me that I would be charged $61.00 for the additional day’s rental, per my original contract. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I returned the car to the Tampa Airport location. There was no one at the Budget kiosk so I asked a security guard what the procedure was for a return in this situation. He informed me to just park the car and leave the keys on the dash, which is exactly what I did. Well, that was a huge mistake.

Budget has apparently lost the car and I received a certified letter from them demanding that I return the car, which I do not have. Budget has charged my credit card all kinds of arbitrary fees. The only thing that they haven’t charged was the agreed upon $61.00. As far as I’m concerned, they are guilty of credit card fraud, bait and switch, and extortion. I fully plan on turning the issue over to the State Attorney General's office for possible prosecution, as well as filing a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Worst experience of our entire life for rental car. This car company deserves negative stars. Miami cruise port shuttle never came, was in line at cruise port for 1.5 hrs. See pictures below with > 100 people waiting for shuttle. We called customer service 2x and was given a phone # for local office to ask ETA for shuttle. We called local office x3 and they never answered. After 2 hours of waiting for shuttle, we decided to Uber to the local office. After arriving with Uber to local office, we had to wait in line for 4 hrs to get a car. They had 2 office staff only, that at times were yelling at customers in Spanish. Called customer service an additional 3x while in line, I was told to go to another downtown location, which if we choose to do so, will be in our own cost for transportation to get there and there is no guarantee the new location will have a car for us.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, recorded the entire calls, will be available on YouTube in few days, since THEY record calls and disclaimer noted "This call may be monitored or recorded for quality assurances purposes." May these calls provide them with some guidance for improvement. Customer representatives were rude and dismissive as you will hear in the call records.

We received a filthy car with bird dropping stains all over the car, cigarette smell and ashes on both front seats. Dirt all over the carpets. Video on YouTube. We will never use this company again. Will advise everyone to not book with this company. It ruined an entire day of our vacation and the rudeness of the customer service representatives and local office staff were unbelievable. We arrived at cruise terminal shuttle pickup location at 8:30 am, we left car company parking lot at 2:30 pm.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

My rental car with Budget had a bad battery from the factory. In fact, it died TWICE while renting the car for 5 days for a total of 2 hours lost. Not only did they NOT offer to compensate me for my time, but they actually charged me $60 to have their roadside assistance come out and help. When I explained to the technician that came out to help me, he told me it's a known scam they run in order to get as much out of people as possible. They offer their own roadside insurance, but if you decline it then you get stuck paying. But what they DON'T tell you, is that you're covered FOR FREE through the car's manufacturer warranty.

The second time when the battery died (as if that weren't bad enough), I called Kia's roadside assistance and it was completely free. Then, when I turned in the car, I willingly opted to pay their re-fueling fee just because I didn't want to stop at a gas station. However, when they gave me my billed they double-taxed me. Not only did I pay the built-in gas tax that everyone that fills their tank gets hit with, but then they taxed me again on top of that because it was an "additional service." Which of course, they don't tell you when you rent it either. I will never ever never rent from Budget again. I'd love to pay more money for a more trustworthy company with better ethics.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Absolutely do not rent with Budget. I rented a car for a 3-day weekend in Vermont, after prepaying online more than a month in advance. Upon returning the car (a bit before my "due" time), I handed the keys and paperwork to the employee at the Budget desk in the airport (instead of just dropping the items off in an unlocked box, as I had seen other customers returning their respective items). I asked him if I needed to do anything else and he said "no."

A few weeks later, I received a $400 bill in the mail stating that I had not returned the car for nearly a week past my reservation time, with over 1,000 miles clocked. (It also stated listed a male employee's name for the person who initially rented the car to me, despite a woman with a different name being at the Budget desk at that time.)

It took weeks of calling the Budget office to get them to address this error -- constantly being told that management would look into it and call me back. They never called me back. Finally, after weeks of calling, I was told that the case had been closed out and I didn't need to pay anything. (How generous.) However, the employee refused to send me any sort of written confirmation that I did not owe anything. I'm still hesitant to believe them at their word that this matter is truly resolved. Again, do not ever rent with Budget.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I received a confirmation for a rental but when I went to pick up the car (at 11:30 pm) the representative told me the email confirmation was a mistake and the said, "If you want the car, it is now four times as much." I ended up going to a competitor and paying full price. Budget thinks they can throw out bogus quotes and you will get stuck. Sorry never again Budget. Consumers beware.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I had a last minute trip come up during the holidays. I usually use Enterprise, who I've never had an issue with, but I decided to try Budget and save a few dollars (big mistake). My trip ended up being canceled the same HOUR I made and prepaid for the rental from Budget. I did not need to prepay. I only did it to save time at the counter. So I was not getting a better rate for the prepay. Due to Budget's prepayment policy they charged me a $50 cancellation fee even though the reservation was just made and the reservation was not for another 3 days.

I called customer service and climbed the phone latter getting the same boilerplate response that they are sorry but that is their company policy. One rep even stated it doesn't matter if it was within 5 mins. They will still charge $50. I will never do business with Budget again nor will I allow my company to ever do business with Budget again. I will gladly pay Enterprise double the Budget price knowing that they actually care about their customer's experience.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

On a recent trip to Chicago in early November, I had prepaid a minivan to transport disabled relatives of mine. The initial counter interaction after arriving at the brand new car rental structure was great. Had my reservation in hand, said the vehicle requested was on floor-row-space. I signed away and left. Found 1 blemish larger than 50c piece, notated at gate and left.

At 7 am on the day I was to return the van, I called and spoke with a rental agent asking for additional time and associated cost. Here’s where it really takes a strange turn... I gave him my vehicle ID, was then greeted as “Mr **”, how was your rental van in Maryland? I’m not Mr ** nor am I in Maryland. This went on for approx 15min until corrected. I was then granted a drop off at 11pm vs the original 7pm knowing I couldn’t make my original drop off time. No worries, taken care of, no extra charge. Great!

I made it to the rental car facility at O’Hare by 2302 (11:02), didn’t charge a late fee, even though I fully expected it), but DID charge me extra for every little bell & whistle I didn’t request nor utilize! More than 2.5x’s the original prepaid agreement... which I signed but didn’t notate the additional equipment clause. Bad for me but no way in hell! After 1.5hrs, the shift manager took the extra charges off and I was off to hotel via bus to airport. After waking up the following AM (got to a hotel by 0400), I realized I had left my jacket in the back of the van. Called 800 line and counter at O’Hare. Made a claim for lost item. Unlike most rental return customers, I was still in the area! So I Ubered to O’Hare and went to counter, initially greeted by upper manager (didn’t know at that time) who directed me to the 2nd floor counter. The young lady working counter & lot was understanding and tried to be helpful.

Long story short, my jacket was found, taken to the “old facility” and with no less than 12 employees... Nobody was able, OR willing, to help retrieve. Excuse, top national management was in town, no way to get over and only 1 person had key to gate and they were too busy. All that management, massive rental prices, not 2 cares on how to retrieve personal property! It has been 1.5 months from that day and I still haven’t had 1 email or returned call!

I promise for the remainder of my life to never spend another dollar with this company or any affiliated! Downright disgusting and pathetic. Coincidentally I left my glasses at the counter on the return night, was one of 3 people in entire main rental floor and was there for 1hr after fixing transaction. Went unnoticed by counter staff... Lost those too. Cost me more to replace needed items going home. Thanks for the memories Budget @ O’Hare!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

After using a Budget car for 5 days, I discovered I was charged a separate fee of $20.75 for a $1.00 toll. I called four different times and each time the rep on the other end could only explain their policy of charging $3.95 per day for using the transponder though:

a) They automatically start charging a daily fee for the transponder after it has been used once.
b) There is no alternative to using their transponder, or at least these were never presented as options at any point.

c) No one could explain what product/service I was getting for the $3.95 per each day that I did not get on a tollway at all.

They continually punted me over to the company that manages the toll charges for rental cars, who punted me back to the Budget cust service. Their only excuse for this nonsense is that "it's in the contract you signed," which while legally valid is a pathetic point and bad faith gesture since they are banking on no one having the time to read those in full, and it's extra confusing given that they go out of their way to talk about insurance and gas prices, but they never mention the toll fee at all. One of the reps actually tried to brush me off by pointing out that it's only 20.00. Nevermind that it's a 1.00 toll.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I did a reservation from Expedia to rent a car from Budget rental company. On my 3 days before my trip, I was receiving remains emails for my car reservation.

I got to the destination country and Budget rental company didn't have the car I reserved. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I was stranded on a country without car. It took me less than 10 minute to call someone else for a car which I spent more money. Stay away from Budget and look for a different rental company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I was in Dallas Airport at Budget Rent-A-Car desk. The clerk tried to cheat me in several situations. I had a long trip of 20+ hours from China, and I said I just wanted an economy car for 5 days. He continuously provided me luxury SUV car, with all the fancy (and very expensive) not useful optional. When discovered that he gave me a fraud, I came back to him asking for, again, an economy car like Nissan Versa or similar. He cheated again, at the end he gave me a SUV car or similar with very high price. I just gave back my car the day after, then rent another car with a more honest behavior. Unfortunately, the Budget rental car charged me euro 455 on my credit card just only for 1-day rental. This is a fraud. I’ve been travelling around the world for business purposes for 5 years, and this is the worst situation happened to me in renting a car. A brand like “Budget” should be reliable and help the customer instead of exploit and cheat him.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Rented a vehicle from Budget in Birmingham Alabama, December 2018. Booked my reservation through Costco Travel which offered me a second driver for free. Budget Rent-A-Car refused to give the extra free driver, even though the reservation clearly stated it. Overall unacceptable experience. When I contacted Budget Customer Service, they could not help me because the Budget Rent-A-Car in Alabama is privately owned. Avoid Budget!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We rented a car in September and was asked if we wished to pay for the tolls upfront, we said no we would pay at the booth. On returning home we received an additional charge for Toll booths. I phone from UK and they said that they could see what had happened but I would have to contact head office for the refund. They gave me a phone number that you could not use from the UK. I then emailed, but no response, I emailed again and finally got a response saying I would need to take it up with the toll booth company - how does that work? Budget made the mistake and left the toll system on and tell me I have to claim the money back from the Toll company. I emailed back again and pointed this all out to them.

They responded saying it was still down to me to contact each individual Toll company and provide them with receipts or credit card bills to prove we had paid the bills. How stupid are these people, almost every trip was paid for in cash and half was change thrown into the basket. So as well as making sure that don't stitch you up for the fuel you now have to watch out for being stitched up for tolls, I will never use them again, and would recommend to everyone else to avoid them like the plague.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

First time using Budget, as the pickup location was close to my hotel while in Dallas. I prepaid for the rental so that I wouldn't have to worry about it when picking up the car... or so you would have thought. When I arrived to pick up the car, I was told that I needed the last 4 digits of the credit card I used to make the reservation (which was never mentioned previously). I didn't have the card on me and they would not rent me the car. I called customer service and they refused to provide me the card info, and would not cancel my reservation without basically paying the full cost of the rental.

I was finally able to go back through my records and find the last 4 of the card number. Then, the clerk told me that I needed to provide a new card for "incidentals" such as tolls, tickets, etc. However, when I dropped off the car, I noticed that they had charged me the equivalent of my initial rental payment and no one knew or could understand what this charge was for.

When I arrived home from my trip, I called their national customer service, which clearly is located outside of the US and staffed by very poor English speaking employees, who also could not tell me what this charge was for, but refused to remove the charges. And, their bills are so confusing to a point that they make absolutely no sense...perhaps to ensure that their fraudulent charges can never be disputed. Needless to say... this company is at best unorganized and shady. At worst, they are just outright crooks. Beware!

Budget Rent-A-Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

• Best for: Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information