1.16/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1786 Budget Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 22, 2019

I was offered a big discount if I pre-pay to rent a car for the weekend online. I pre-paid for the car, went to pick up the car and they said they didn’t have any cars. They modify my reservation, sent me to another location. I specifically asked them to locate the other location to make sure they have available cars. They advised me sure there were cars at the other location. Went to that location and again there was no cars. Two hours before I am to leave to go out of town I have no car and was only told that they’ll give me a refund that would take 3 to 5 business days to return to my card. Now I’m not only without a car. I have no money to get another rental car.

Budget has the worst customer service ever. It is outsource somewhere out of the country. They do not make sure that they have inventory before they rent you cars and let you reserve cars online. Please never pre-pay for a Budget car Online. Is better to go in person and wait and pay when you get there because they would take your money then try to charge you a cancellation fee when they didn’t even have any inventory to give me a car. One of the worst experiences of my life. I would never ever use Budget again.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Wish I would have read the reviews for this crooked company prior to renting. Rented a Mazda CX-5 via Spokane airport Feb, 2019. Great car and everything went fine until I received an email two weeks after our trip stating I was being charged for a crack in the windshield which if there was one, never occurred within our rental period. Wrote the company explaining we had no knowledge of this damage. They replied two days later stating their records are aligned with the damage and I would be charged the $300 on the credit card used for the rental. What a rip-off company. Will never give Budget or Avis (same company) my business in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 19, 2019

My husband and I visited Texas from January 30 - February 2, 2019. We flew into Austin, TX late on January 30. I had reserved a vehicle (Chevy Malibu) for a pickup on January 31 from the Austin Bergstrom International and a drop-off for February 2 at Killeen-Fort Hood Regional airport. My original total was for $183.63 at $61.21 per day. I dropped the car off roughly around 0900 with a full tank of gas in the designated parking lot with the keys in the cup holder as such the morning of February 2. Please keep in mind, my husband and I flew out of this same airport that afternoon; our flight departed at 0355. To my surprise roughly a week or two later, I happen to check my statement and I have been charged $654.20. I immediately contact Budget to inquire about this, to which they inform me that I extended my rental by one week and that is the reason for the up-charge.

I explain to them when I left, I sent them our boarding passes, flight itinerary, any documents requested they received; after review they admitted to making a mistake and would refund me. However, they only refunded me $260.67 and sent me a receipt in the amount of $393.53. I begin to inquire about the remaining funds that should have been refunded as well... THEY NEVER RESPONDED TO MY INQUIRY and still to this day, almost 2 months later I still never had this issue resolved.

I filed a dispute with the credit card company who credited me for the account then after sending all my documentation also stated this was not enough to substantiate the claim. So I basically paid for a $183.63 car rental approximately 5 times all because this company made a mistake to which they openly admitted. By all means, please refrain from doing business with this organization. I am so disgusted with the manner in which they conducted this transaction. It has taken everything in me to not curse during this review.

Original review: March 18, 2019

What a joke! We were renting 3 cars that we reserved online. When we went to pick up the cars they didn't have the vans that we reserved online. Put us in 3 other cars that had no luggage capacity so we had to load up other cars to transport luggage. 1 car had no gas in it and wasn't clean. We dealt with it since we were supporting a team and had to get on the road. The 2nd car was getting the windshield fixed when we picked it up and now upon the return they want to charge me for a crack they found in the window. Our coach said he used to rent from this location but quit due to various issues. Oh, the 3rd car was fine minus the fact it wasn't what we ordered and didn't get upgraded.

When I told the renter about the window being fixed when we picked up the cars she was pretty much non responsive and just asked me to fill out a report on how the damage happened. When we picked up the car it had a dent in the hood from a previous rental. You'd think they'd have this fixed. You know they charged the person who brought it back with the damage the money to fix it. I rent over 20+ times a year and will never go back to Budget.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My car pick up experience for March 13 was disorganized and took forever. It was spring break. I understand the challenges of a large volume of customers. However no one seemed to understand the process. Many of us were told to wait for our cars to be brought up to the drive which never happened. I found my car on my own and went on my way. Given the poor service I confirmed twice that their shuttle would be running at the time of my very early morning departure flight. They assured me this was a 24/7 operation.

So imagine my surprise when at 3:15 a.m. I arrived to find gates locked, instruction signage incorrect and was told by the clerk that the shuttle had taken a one-hour break. I told her I had specifically asked ahead of time about the timing and she said it would be back at 4:15. Not very helpful when you have a 5 a.m. flight. During this time, I met up with a family of six who was in the same boat and actually on my same flight. Altogether there were 10 of us who had been told the shuttle would be available and were left on the sidewalk at 3:20 a.m. trying to make Uber/taxi arrangements while the clerk chatted with her friend at the counter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: March 17, 2019

Charged me a late day fee for pickup of 18 minutes early and late return of 22 minutes. I'm not sure how you are exactly going to schedule a car rental time based on flight landings being early or delayed and no one explained that during the rental process or pick up time. Also the front passenger door did not lock from the inside or outside so we were not comfortable keeping any of our items in the vehicle during travel including the trunk. When I called customer service to get the late fee waived the person on the phone basically said it wasn't a problem and no compensation was given back.

Original review: March 16, 2019

On Feb 14th, 2019, I booked a car rental for one week from Feb 21st to March 1st in that same year. The total for the booking was $327.77 which was charged at the time of the booking on Feb 14th. When I arrived at my destination in Cincinnati (CVG) on February 21st, I was asked if I wanted any car insurance. I replied that I was going to use the insurance that comes with the my credit card. When I got my paperwork I noticed that the amount was different ($430.86) but I assumed it was some kind of deposit hold. The agent did not explain anything he just told me where I needed to sign.

2 days later, on March 3rd, I checked my account and I noticed that I was charged both $327.77 and $430.86, but the $430.86 was pending in my account. But to be sure about it I called, 859-767-3132 (the number listed on my bill) to check and make sure there wasn't a problem. The person I spoke to about it told me that this was just a security deposit and that it would be returned at the end on the rental once the car was returned. His answer seemed reasonable to me so I didn't give it another thought. I returned the car on March 1st as agreed.

On Feb 23rd, I noticed that both the $327.77 (Feb 14th) and the $430.86 (March 1st) remained charged on my card. I then called customer care (1-800-527-7000) to ask why this was and I was then told that the $430.86 charge was for additional car insurance. I was also told that because I had sign the renter's agreement that I was not eligible for any refund. After pushing the issue forward to a supervisor in customer care, I was offered a conciliatory 50% of the additional car insurance back, which I accepted.

Here is my problem with the situation. I only ever expected to pay $327.77 for this rental. I also requested the clerk NOT to add any additional insurance to my rental. Finally, when I inquired about this to your clerk on Feb 23rd who obviously gave me incorrect information. I feels like there is malicious intent here to gouge me out of extra money. I agree that I signed the renter's agreement, but to be honest, I trusted your employees to follow my wishes and not charge me for something I didn't want or need.

To be honest, if I feel I have to read to the letter these agreements, which could be considered something close to "fine print" it means I can't trust your company to give me the basic services I am paying for so I wouldn't even bother giving you my business. At no time while I was on the phone with your customer care representative did common logic even matter because why would I want a $430.86 car insurance policy for a $327.77 car rental.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had an issue with the flight arriving late at the airport and just wanted to let (SOMEONE) know this so I could still get the car. Called, customer service several times, only to be connected with reservations. Spoke with several people that did not give a crap with my issues, some commenting, come back tomorrow and pick up your car! OR, why didn't you chose a earlier flight! (WHAT?). I even sent emails to their - Budget Complaint Escalation Form. NO REPLIES! I will NEVER use Budget again!! Rick.

Original review: March 5, 2019

A friend of mine rented a car from Budget for our use while in the Tampa Florida area. We rented online as the rates for Budget were much cheaper than the others. This was done a month before we were due to arrive in Florida. We chose an offsite location thinking it would be cheaper than picking the car up at the airport. When we arrived to pick up the car there was a person waiting ahead of us. She advised us that when she arrived they did not have an economy car for her and they went out back to see if they had a car for her, it would be $10.00 a day more for her to rent.

Once it was our turn to pick up our car the exact same thing happened. We were told there were no economy cars and we were offered a car that was slightly larger but not cleaned out for an up charge of $10.00 a day. The guy at the desk offered to clean out the car while we waited. At that point someone else returned a car. That car was offered to us. It was a Hybrid and we were advised this car would give us better gas mileage. The car was not checked out or cleaned prior to us obtaining the car. We were charged the $10.00 a day surcharge due to the slightly larger car.

My question is when this happens and it appears to happen quite often why does Budget not honor the price that we originally were given? This was no fault of ours that Budget is renting cars that they do not have. This surcharge cost us $100.00 more after the taxes and fees were added. This is very poor business practice by Budget. I have rented from many different car agencies and have never had this happen before. At best we have been offered a larger car at the same cost that we agreed to online. I will never rent from Budget again!

Original review: March 2, 2019

When I reserved a car using Budget’s German website, it told me that the estimated total charges would be $523 and it confirmed that I had prepaid that amount. The only additional charges I expected were the charges for turnpike tolls and for fuel if I did not return the car with a full tank. When I arrived at the Budget counter in Miami, I was told that they wanted a $181 deposit that would be refunded to my card when I returned the car.

Unfortunately, the sign-off form I was provided and asked to initial included a checkmark for an optional package labeled “@NON PKG ITEMS” priced at $181. Being exhausted after a long flight and a 30+ minute wait at the counter, I did not realize that I had accepted an option that I did not want and just assumed that this was for the deposit that would be refunded to me. After several months of back and forth with their customer service, I was told that I had signed up for assistance in case I, for example, lost my car keys. They admonished me for not having read the rental agreement.

My honest impression is that the local Budget concession did this in order to increase revenues for their concession. Customers using Budget should be aware of this behavior and explicitly state that they are declining every option adding a handwritten note to the form saying that. Budget should take action against their Miami concession and should develop a better sign-off form that is more easily understood.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I reserved a car to be picked up at Phoenix Sky Harbour location. The price should have been $467. They repeatedly asked me if I wanted all these extra coverages which I declined. Being a young, inexperienced traveler I didn't know I needed to hire a lawyer to review a Budget contract and they had slipped all these extra charges I denied into it. Ended up costing me $1100 and they refuse to do anything about it. Read all the reviews online and you will see this is a common complaint. They are crooks! I have rented from other reputable companies before and this has never happened. Does budget train their employees to be this dishonest? Totally unethical business.

Original review: March 1, 2019

We reserved a car from Budget through Expedia in Kona, HI for the week after Christmas. We arrived with around three other families to find that they had not a single vehicle to rent. Our only option was to go to a different company and rent a pickup truck, which was more for one day than our entire trip we were quoted with Budget. We then went back to Budget the next day and were lucky enough that someone was returning a vehicle that we could get into. We were promised that we would be reimbursed for the one day rental with the other company as well as be reimbursed for the rental fees with Budget due to the inconvenience.

It's now been three months later and they still haven't even reimbursed the one day fee with the other company much less the rental fees with them. I've now had three months of interest on the credit card as well. I have sent them all the documents they have asked for in every kind of format available and they continue to tell me they are unable to open them. I'm at a loss as to what else I could do to get them the information. I would highly recommend avoiding this company due to the fact that it seems like my complaints are a common theme with other customers' reviews that I have come across.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I picked up a car from Budget Rental Car company Friday morning at 7am for my drive with my children from NY to Key West. By 4pm there were alarms going off that the car needed an oil change. Needless to say, I was not happy having paid months ago to rent a car for an 11 day trip from NY to Key West and back with 3 children, Budget maintenance should have ABSOLUTELY checked this vehicle before I picked it up for issues like this. So I called Budget who directed me to their roadside assistance number.

After 6 calls and over 86 minutes on the phone (my phone records will reflect this for accuracy), I was told that Budget will be dropping off a new vehicle to the hotel we were stopping at for the night, and will pick up the vehicle that needed an oil change. After 11 text messages from Budget that went on until 1:30am, I still had no replacement car. The next morning when there was still no car, we decided to continue to drive to our destination and call Budget back on the way. What ensued was an additional 13 phone calls, 11 more text messages and 227 more minutes of my vacation on the phone. I was told that Budget would again be sending another car to my next destination.

Needless to say, it never happened. So Sunday I spent more time on the phone. At 10:30 Sunday night a tow truck showed up to pick up the old vehicle- but lo and behold no replacement vehicle!!! The tow truck driver was yelling at me in Spanish in front of my children. He was rude and indignant. This led to yet ANOTHER phone call to Budget. I finally got a replacement vehicle at 11:55 at night. And you know what? The replacement vehicle had low tire pressure and the charging ports didn’t work. So, for a car that I paid for months prior, a vacation I had been planning and budgeting for over a year, I wound up spending over SIX HOURS and 22 text messages of it on the phone with the rental car company when I should have been spending it with my family. I contacted Budget on social media and they offered me a $200 refund on a rental that cost over $1000. I will never use Budget again.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

If a starless review was a thing, I would use that! The three people I talked to with this company, (John Counter boy in Phoenix, Jimmy Customer service, and Kimberly Manager who called me back 24 hours later.) They overcharged me, and blamed me for the overcharge. We were offered a free upgrade from John, and because he didn't note that, there was an extra charge on that. They also told me that because I had the car for over 24 hours they charge you for a second day. We literally dropped the car off early from when we agreed.

This company is a liar, and careless about their customers or service. Jimmy also claimed that the 24 hours policy is on their website, but I'm sorry I didn't see that anywhere. The manager was so heartless about the whole situation as well. Do yourself a favor and never use Budget, because they literally don't care, and will screw you over in the long run! Never been so disappointed with a company in my entire life.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We reserved a car from Budget at the Merida, Mexico airport months before we arrived. We walked out of the airport and there was a Budget van waiting there. The driver asked us if we had a reservation, which we said yes. He drove us off the airport grounds to the Budget car rental, which was in a little back alley. We tipped the driver and went in. We waited 10-15 minutes while one person was on the phone and two others were on their cell phones while eating. When we were finally waited on, the woman took another 5 minutes on the computer and talking to the other two employees and finally told us that they don't have a car for us. They said they could not do anything for us.

We wasted enough time on our vacation already, so we went back to the airport to try other rental agencies, which had no available cars either. We had to get a cab that cost us $60 each way to our hotel and were stuck there without a car to see some of the sights on our list. I believe Budget gave our car away for a higher price than we were going to pay. Don't trust that your car that you reserved with Budget will be there when you show up. They would not reimburse us for the cab fare either. Budget is an unscrupulous company that will give your reservation away if they can make more money on another person. Thanks Budget for your uncaring attitude and ruining our vacation.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

My initial bill was supposed to be $477.45 for a Ford F150. They convinced me at pick-up to upgrade my vehicle to a 4 wheel drive Dodge Durango since it was snowing, which I'm okay with. But my bill, which increased by 134% to $1,119.11, included a $122.87 "FUEL SERVICE" charge that I did not expect. I received the receipt at inspection of returning the car, but did not review it at that point since I was distracted by my kids and the flight we needed to catch. I feel like they attracted me with a good deal and then "took me to the cleaners."

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Garbage rental company. Paid 400 dollars for the smallest economy class for 3 days. Rented in Tampa FL. The rep spend all 20 minutes trying to sell us an upgrade instead of talking over state fees, no toll coverage prices etc. Got totally screwed. This was not customer service, not in the slightest. Just feel used. The projected cost without any mishaps was printed 150 when we left the lot, how does it happen that fees were stacked on to total 400 dollars? Me as the customer was not informed in the slightest a ballpark range of feel at all. All she did was try and sell sell sell. It got aggravating, especially after seeing the charges after turning the car in.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Rented at the Milwaukee airport. Car was dirty inside and out. What's worse is the next morning the car was dead. Customer service asked me to go get a new battery for the key FOB, asking if I had "alternate transportation". If I had, then why would I have rented a car -- unbelievable! I found a battery place several miles away and paid for a ride to and from. Key fob battery did not fix the problem, so they sent a tow truck. Customer service told me to go back to the airport and get another car. When I got there, they refused to give it to me until they could verify the car had made it to the tow yard. I had already wasted 2.5 hrs and was late for my dad's surgery. I rented from Hertz instead. When I came back to the airport to make sure they had closed out my contract, they had not. I waited 15 mins for a manager. They never did credit me for the battery and charged me for a full day though the car had only worked for 12 hours. Simply said - They suck!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I have had a terrible experience from beginning to end dealing with Budget. Starting with waiting in an hour long line to pick up our car and ending with rude customer service representatives. In the middle of my family's vacation our brand new 2019 Buick Enclave with 1114 miles on it broke down on the highway. It was overheating/leaking antifreeze and put us in a very dangerous situation trying to pull over to the side. My kids were very scared that we were going to get into an accident. Through much time and patience and trying several times unsuccessfully to get through to some roadside assistance help we were able to get to another Budget location. The car kept shutting down every mile or so due to overheating. After giving up about a day of our vacation we were finally in a different vehicle.

Upon returning our vehicle to the airport we saw we were charged over $400 what we originally agreed to pay. Again, we couldn't speak to anybody willing to help and the line to get to a representative looked to be about an hour long again. Having a flight to catch we could not wait that long. I called customer service today and after dealing with several apathetic and rude customer service representatives was able to get to some minor resolution, but not near to what I feel all the trouble was worth.

I gave up a day of my vacation dealing with a broken down brand new rental car. Vacations aren't cheap and giving up a day costs a whole bunch. I also gave up several hours the day after my vacation talking to customer service trying to resolve the issue that was given to me. On top of that, having to deal with rude and insulting representatives that gave me the run around on the phone made me feel like Budget could care less about me, the problem they gave me and trying to keep me even remotely happy as a paying customer. I don't know if that is how they want to be perceived as a company, but as of now that is my opinion. It has a been a severely disheartening and frustrating process from beginning to end.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Paid $205 on line to save money by paying up front for a small four door car. Got to O'Hare Budget counter and dealt with Angel. She took my credit card (I thought she was confirming it was me) and my license. Angel told me that in the class of car I had signed up for, there were no four door cars available and that my only choice was a VW beetle with two doors, no trunk. Suggested I upgrade to a four door, $10 more per day, to ensure I could fit all my luggage I had with me. So I did. I believed her. She charged me an additional $53.00. She said I was ready to go and covered by I-Pass. I said, "What does that mean?" She said they would cover the tolls, but there was an additional $19.00 initiation fee. I said I didn't want that as it didn't make any sense as I would not be going through that many tolls. She said to NOT open the white box on the windshield.

Had a hard time finding my car. Tipped a man from another car agency $5 to help me find my car. Got in the car and just to find the white box for the tollway already open. I closed it and was upset that they had the audacity to leave it open for an unsuspecting client. I was upset so I called Budget and explained I did not wish to pay the additional money for the four door car as that is what I originally paid for in the first place. And that I felt it was tricky that the I-Pass box was open. She said the only way I could get the $53.00 off my bill was to go back in and downgrade to the two door car. So off I went.

The service person got Angel for me. She said she was taking the $53.00 off my bill and downgrading me to the two door (since they did not have any four door cars in my class available). I said I needed someone to meet me at the car where I had left my luggage locked in the trunk to relocate to the new car. She said she would send someone. I go to the car to wait. No one shows up. Finally, a nice man from Budget walked by and I asked if he was there to assist me. He said no, but that he'd be happy to. He then helped me with my luggage. And to my surprise and utter amazement and disgust, there WAS a four door car available for me in the class for which I signed up! I got a four door KIA.

By then, I was livid. I phoned Budget. Explained the whole situation and said how upset I was. The rep on the phone said he would take care of my additional funds paid. I had no idea what he meant as I thought Angel inside had already done that. I asked "how much are you refunding to me." He said $254 and some cents. I was stunned! I had already paid $205 at the beginning of January so I could have a reduced rate. I was beyond upset. I filed a complaint with him at that time.

I return my car on the following Sunday. The girl checked me in and I came home. On Monday, I called my credit card company just to find Budget had charged me an additional $233.00. The credit card rep was super nice and got Budget on the phone. They told both of us that the charges would be cancelled within the next three to five business days. Yes, they did refund my money.

Moral of this story? Do not trust anyone when travelling. Double check your credit cards. When someone says something simple like "Budget will pay your tolls and charge you for them"... ask more questions. Angel did NOT offer to tell me there was a $19.00 fee associated with that. I had to ask. She also told me there was NOT a four door car in the class in which I signed up. I guess that was her way of making more money for either the company or herself. I have idea how that works.

My experience with Budget definitely put a damper on my trip. Will they care? Probably not. They have thousands of clients. I'm nothing to them. I simply travel once in awhile and have used them in the past. So, beware folks! This was my experience. I hope none of us endure this kind of bad business practices now or in the future.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I rented a car for a weekend in Miami. The car was inspected for damage at pickup. No damage was identified. We were not involved in any accidents or collisions at any time during this rental period. The car was returned on 1/21/19 to a Budget employee who checked the car in and inspected it. The car was not damaged per visual inspection, nor were we informed of any damage by the rep.

On 2/19/19, I received a call from Viking Billing Services on behalf of Budget, attempting to collect on this claim. This was the first notification I received. I advised the rep that the vehicle was not damaged at return. The rep claimed Budget reported "a collision at an intersection". On 2/21/19 I received a letter from Budget/Viking requesting $347.57. There are no pictures, make/model of vehicle, description of damage, date of service, or any other identifying information except a rental agreement number **.

Upon research, it appears that this is not an isolated incident. To top it off, I received a charge on my credit card for an additional $50.00. I was aware that in Florida, tolls are charged to the license plate but there is no way that we incurred $50.00 worth of tolls in 3 days. PLEASE be mindful of charges when dealing with these companies.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My family of 8 planned a trip to Piney Creek North Carolina and I called the 1800 number to rent a car and I was very specific about the type of car we needed (4X4 and full 3 rows). When I showed up at the Homestead, FL location all they had was a 2 wheel drive Yukon XL. They told us to go somewhere else to change it but there is no guarantees and they didn’t even bother to call and make sure they had a vehicle. Never using this company again! Then I called the 1800 customer service number and spoke with Dana and she tried calling the Miami airport location but they were busy and couldn’t pick up so she pretty much told me to call myself. I had to cancel my road trip because they didn’t have the car.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

On December 27, 2018 my friend and I rented a car at the Budget Car Rental near the LAX airport without a reservation. We were renting it for less than 24 hours; just to drive up to San Luis Obispo and return the car there where we would meet a friend. As we were working with the employee at the counter, she advised us that the car would cost us approximately $200.00. That price seemed VERY HIGH for just one day! The employee suggested we get the coverage that would allow us to turn the car in without a full tank of gas. When she told us the total cost of $324.02, we were both extremely shocked! When we asked her why she was charging such an exorbitant amount, she said "because it's a holiday and this is the holiday pricing".

We were really at a disadvantage because we had no other way of getting a car to drive to San Luis Obispo. So, we begrudgingly agreed to pay the outlandish price of $324.02! I called the customer service line and was told I had to submit my complaint by e-mail. So I sent an e-mail and got no reply. I sent another e-mail and still got no reply. Now I am going to report them to the Better Business Bureau. I will NEVER rent a vehicle from Budget again and I hope you don't either!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I came in to get my Budget Rental Car at the LA California Airport location. Attending the Grammy Awards Show 2/10/2019. I was getting a full size car thru my Costco rental agent. The pre-arranged cost for the entire package was $212.91 total which included insurance for 2 drivers. The agent at Budget talked me into was suppose to be a $30 upgrade to a Jaguar for my 5 day rental. I said ok because the upgrade cost was nominal.

Now I get a bill for $800 charged to my credit card. I call into Budget and I am told the charge is correct because of the insurance coverage for this upscaled car. The agent never told me the SO-CALLED BUDGET CAR INSURANCE COVERAGE would be an extra charge over the previous inclusive quoted price. If I had known I would have stuck to the original full size rental. I was clearly told by the agent the full rental price for the car with everything included would be $350.00. This is deceptive advertising and I will be sure to let the BBB and all of my friends know not to use Budget for their car rentals. As before I will only rent from Enterprise because the price they quote is the price you pay.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Can I give those scammers five stars but with a huge negative sign? That is what they deserve. I am not where is the attorney general from these people. Employees are scammers and liars. I returned my car with a full tank yet they charge me 80 bucks for gas. The lady said you all set and never mentioned anything about fuel. Please do yourself a favor and avoid them at all cost. If you ever need to speak to the branch good luck as someone in Mexico will answer and tell you keep trying.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Very poor condescending customer service at Charlesglen Toyota branch, NW Calgary. Manager/guy in charge acted irritated when I asked about the insurance. He was the only person there and I was the only customer so no excuse that he was busy. Treat customers respectfully, goes a long way.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Longest line at the airport in Phoenix AZ I have ever seen. You’d think we were waiting for a Beyoncé concert. It was 1 1/2 hours wait... How is this a thing? STOP just reserving the cheapest deal (speaking to self) and do the sane thing.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Updated on 03/11/2019: Reserved a car through Budget a month in advance. Got a call the day before rental to confirm we still wanted the car. Got to vacation destination and we were told there were NO cars available. They told us some should be coming in. After waiting an hour, no cars came. We were then told there were no cars available in the area at all. Not a good way to start my vacation. I was beyond upset. Girls behind the counter were rude and using vulgar language. I am was able to secure a car through Enterprise which I was compensated for the difference.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Was called by a James ** who stated I could in addition get a three day car rental coupon. Why would I rent a car from a place that had no value for its customers. James never responded to the dissatisfaction with their resolution. I will definitely never deal with Budget Rentals again. After speaking with numerous people, they had bad service as well. My hope is that they will have to eventually close their doors due to this unspeakable service.

Original Review: Reserved my car over a month ago. While in a different state, went to pick up my car. It was for a 1:00 rental. I arrived at 1:15. They had no cars at all. Let me remind you, I reserved the car over a month ago. They said there were no cars in the area. They even called the night before to confirm the rental. They seemed to care very little that I needed a car. I made several phone calls and still no car. Finally called Enterprise. Not only did they get me a car immediately, they came and picked us up. I would not recommend this company ever. It was off Fowler street in Fort Myers, Florida. The staff had little care at all for how upset I was. They sat behind the counter using derogatory language. Mind you, this was two woman. Such a stressful, disappointed situation. We will never use them again.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I started using Budget around 2003, and they were once my go-to rental company. They have steadily declined, since around 2010, to the point where my past rental experience was so bad I will never use them again. I had reserved a car months in advance for a recent trip, and I arrived at the counter around 2:15 for my 2:00 reservation. I was picking up from the “fast” break “key pick up line”, and the line was extremely long, and there were dozens of people standing around on the other side of the booth. I talked to some people in front of me and found out that people were waiting hours for their cars. It was pretty clear they had over-reserved because what they were doing was washing cars as they came in and then delivering the keys to the waiting masses.

They had no clue what they were doing, and were basically making each “next customer” wait before processing them if the mass of people who had been processed was too large. What made it worse was there was no consideration for fast break members vs the normal line downstairs, so I found out talking to some other people they only had to wait a total of about 2 hours while I waited over 3. I wasn’t processed until around 5:15, and then finally got a car around 5:45 (3.5 hours after arriving). To compound things, on return they charged me $300 more than the rate because I picked up the car more than 2 hours after my reservation time. Really? I wonder why? What a circus. It took me 3 calls to get the over-charge refunded.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I love Budget Rent-A-Car. They are my favorite Rent-A-Car company. Perfect prices, good customer service and my favorite part is that not only do they have good cars, but the cars aren't the base trim. They are always top of the line or near top of the line trims. I have no complaints, maybe just a minor nit-pick and that is they should try to get more cars with sunroofs. Only like the more expensive cars (Volvo XC90, GMC Yukon XL, etc) have sunroofs. But that doesn't matter, I rented 13 cars from them last year (2018) and now in 2019 I'm already by the 3rd one. I love Budget! I hope they never change.

Budget Rent-A-Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

• Best for: Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information