2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I had a wonderful experience renting a car from Budget at the Sears location in the Brandon mall. The service that Sahar provides it’s amazing. Sahar always has a smile and makes you feel welcome. Sahar is an asset to your company. Will always use that location to rent because she provides excellent customer service.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I had a terrible experience with Hotwire.com and them screwing up my reservation but Kahn at the Ottawa Airport (YOW) Budget rental desk was tremendously helpful! He was patient and understanding and helped save the day! Lesson of the day don't go through 3rd party companies like Hotwire.com. They will screw you over. Go directly to Budget.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I have rented Budget the past couple years for my annual trip after beginning to have less customer friendly experiences with other companies. Today, I was delayed on a flight from Chicago to Seattle due to storms. Due to being a Sunday, the offsite location where I had rented from closed early. A nice guy named Daniel informed me all other offsite locations were booked. When I looked online the SeaTac airport had outrageous fees and I would have probably shopped at another company offsite. Instead your representative Daniel was able to secure a SeaTac pickup for nearly the same price and it was for a full size up from an intermediate. Because of this experience, I will share my story and will look to Budget first, the next time I travel.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have been going to Budget at 4114 Fairmont Parkway, Pasadena, Texas. Budget not too long ago transferred there from another location in Pasadena. They are awesome. Particularly a gentleman by the name of **. He is outstanding. He always come in with a friendly and helpful attitude, always ready to assist you in getting the best out of every trip rather it is business or pleasure. He won't let you leave until you’re fully satisfied. This man is amazing. We really appreciate you Tony and I thank Budget for hiring the best.

Original review: May 30, 2020

To All Customers a WARNING about BUDGET Car Rental cancellation policy and how they do business. Make sure you READ their policy because they must be HUNGRY for Money because if you pay upfront and you try to cancel way before 48 hours they will still charge you 50 dollars just to cancel for a vehicle you have not even used.

I tried to cancel 3 days in advance because I found that Enterprise Car Rentals had a better price and they were not willing to price match. I don't see why you should be charged for your own money you gave them upfront and try to get your money back and they still want to keep some of your money when you are RETIRED and trying to save a BUCK! But I Guess BUDGET Car Rental company is Money hungry and not trying to keep loyal customers like myself and especially when right now in this time of the pandemic where they should a least try to keep customers business. So I recommend you all do your research and not jump into renting right away which was my mistake for thinking BUDGET was a better company than Enterprise but I guess I learned my lesson! So I DO NOT recommend BUDGET Car Rental to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: May 8, 2020

I have a redemption certificate for $100 that I was going to use for a drop off rental for a cruise. The cruise which was due to sail 5/4/20 was cancelled due to Corona pandemic. The certificate expires 5/21. I was given the run around for more than 2 hours, finally ending with a "supervisor" Max, who told me he could not help. I asked who his boss was and he said "division". He gave me a # which took me to rentals. You would think they would be willing to help customers under these circumstances, like so many others are doing. I will never use Budget again.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Due to the covid 19 I had to cancel my trip up north. It's been over a month and 5 calls to the company to try and get my refund. When I talk to a customer service person I feel like I am annoying them. Terrible customer service. Still no refund.

Original review: May 5, 2020

This happened in Fort Lauderdale at the airport when returned the car with FULL TANK OF GAS and the ** put it like if I returned with 6 gallons out of 13. They charged me $82 for 7 gallons, and by mistake got on those toll roads for 1 mile only and got charged $11.45... Be careful with those people, my mistake was I paid cash at the gas station.

Original review: May 3, 2020

On December 23, 2019 I reserved a car in Springfield, VA. When I arrived to pick it up they told me they did not have a car for me. They sent me to another location. The car had a flat tire and now they are billing me (April 20, 2020) $210 dollars for a tire. They took the car away leaving me without a car for the holiday season and now they want me to pay for a tire. Awful.

Original review: April 26, 2020

Horrible Company, not willing to refund my prepaid rental, even during a crisis like this Corona pandemic. Airlines refund, Yellowstone is closed for 2020, a large percentage of the people are unemployed and these ** are penalizing me on a car rental that I can’t use. Very un American, inhuman and just plain wrong. Never will they see my business again, just to keep a few bucks. Unbelievable in these terrible times. Truly disgusted.

Budget Rent-A-Car author review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information