1.09/5
Based on 257 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1628 Budget Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

If you ever want to rent a car, stay away from Budget. I made a reservation with the Budget Car Rental office in Ocala Florida 1 WEEK ago, I went to pick up car today as reserved. The agent informed me that there were NO CARS available. This is a car rental business and they have no cars for people who reserved one? The agent told me he was expecting returns some time today and he would call me, SOME TIME TODAY, (10 hours later and still no call)... forget about being on a schedule. I made my reservation on Expedia and the agent said he couldn't call me because Expedia deletes phone numbers. I tried calling them a couple days before reservation date to confirm, but got a recording that "All agents busy helping other customers" and was put on hold for 30 minutes before I hung up.

My email was visible on the reservation, if they didn't have cars he could have sent an email. They can take reservations, but they can't HOLD reservations, no offer to upgrade, no discount, nothing other than "oh, sorry". My vacation plans are disrupted, other reservations I made have to be postponed a week, friends disappointed. Budget just lost a customer, they have no conception of customer service or just don't care. From now on, when I rent a car, it will be from Enterprise or Hertz, Avis and Budget are affiliated with each other so forget Avis also. I give them a 1 star review, if I could give less I would, no recommendation from me.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Ok we were lied to. He said to, "Get gas from us," and we believed him. On top of the prepaid we were charged 193 so the basic car was 450 for 4 days. The prepaid is bull. They say it's coverage. Never again. Budget/Avis is terrible crooks.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018 We rented a luxury car Mercedes Benz SUV. We had to walk to the car a good distance at time of the pick up, once we got to the car it was dirty in and out, missing rear windshield wiper, navi did not work due to missing map memory card message stated on the screen. We were tricked to buy an expensive insurance.

Customer service agent said to get one in case of someone running a shopping cart and causing a dent. He said: "Be very very careful." No one inspected the car with us upon leaving their parking lot, no papers signed, no walk around the vehicle to identify any dents and believe me there were many. We are extremely disappointed. So much for renting a luxury vehicle. Shame!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I got charged some made up 21.5% "Sales Tax" in Arkansas where the real tax is actually 10 or 11%. The pre-booked car wasn't ready and got charged a hidden $16 fee when handing the car back because they didn't ask to see my fuel receipt despite returning it full. What looked like a $60 car hire became $110 including their made up taxes. Other, better car hire companies are available.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I rented two vehicles from Budget for an extended family trip in Colorado. I wish I hadn't. First, the lines at Budget's Denver airport offices were long -- I waited 1.5 hours in line before getting my cars. Then, when I finally got to the Budget employee, it became clear that my initial reservation with Budget bore little resemblance to the deal I would be given. Budget rented me different cars from those I reserved and charged me a higher base rent for one of the cars. They also charged me a 30% higher "concession" fee than Budget had promised when I made my reservation on-line. Budget promised me two child safety seats in one of the cars but there were no seats provided. Budget charged me a $34.99/day "loss damage waiver" which I did not approve, and finally there is Budget's special fuel deal.

The Budget employee told me that if I paid Budget for a full tank of gas now, then I would not have to fill up with gas when racing to the airport AND I would be reimbursed for any gas that was in the car when I dropped it off. Well, I paid Budget for a full tank of gas in both cars but have now been told that I will receive no reimbursement for gas in the car at drop off. When I complained, I was actually told that I am expected to drop the cars off with no gas in the tank. Now that's a tricky proposition!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Communicating with Budget Car Rental was a nightmare. From the time we began our rental at the airport in St. Louis on June 12, 2018 and were confused by the instruction to take the gray car when it was actually a black one and left our two suitcases in the parking lot, our ability to communicate with Avis by phone or internet were impossible. We arrived at our destination in Nauvoo, ILL, 3 hours away and discovered we had left our luggage in the parking lot in St. Louis. I attempted every form of communication to confirm that our luggage was accounted for and failed. I found no means to talk to anyone. I did file a report to inform Budget of the loss. The next morning, I left Nauvoo at 6:00 a.m. and drove to the airport in St. Louis. The people at the front desk were busy, but another employee was willing to help, found my luggage in the back room, handed it over to me and I returned to Nauvoo by noon.

I soon began receiving an automated email from Avis indicating they still have not found my luggage. The same email has continued to come to me at least twice a week for 2 months with the following report, "Unfortunately your Lost Item (Tracking Number **) has not been located. We will continue to monitor for your lost item. You can also go to Avis.com and click in the Lost & Found tab to view the latest status of your claim. Sincerely, The Avis Budget Group." I just want to stop receiving these notices. I have my luggage. The email address attached to the email interestingly is "noreply@avisbudget.com". Sad service.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Reserved an small economic care (4 door Ford Focus or similar), driving to Wisconsin, wanted great gas economy, but when I went to pick up the vehicle I was giving a Nissan Titan V8 which more than tripled my gas expenses. The person working the rental at the Mississippi location in Aurora CO was not friendly or helpful. When I asked where the car was he just pointed to the door and said maybe 100 yards that way. Didn't even tell me what color the truck was. Upon returning the truck to Milwaukee, after hours, I was charged $1235. I called and Budget stated that Milwaukee had not yet checked in the rental. I dropped the rental off on 8/4/2018 and Milwaukee didn't not check the rental in until 8/12/2018. Also on 8/12/2018 I was finally reimbursed the $1235 that I was unethically charged. Will never recommend this company to a single person not even my worst nightmare.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Rented a car from Budget, Denver Int. Airport and the vehicle had 4 horrible tires. 2 so bad that the threads were coming through. Turned the vehicle in and complained and was told by their employee that she had been hearing this complaint for days from other renters!! We drove 450 miles with 4 bad tires on mountain roads with no guard rails and we could have been killed!! Called Budget and was told no manager was available but they would call me back in 48 hours. CRICKETS. No callback. I am pursuing this further as I don't want to see anyone get injured from these unsafe rental vehicles.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I was charged over $60 from the original base rate of $175.20. As a courtesy, I called to modify the pickup and return times to by a couple hours each to be precisely the time instead of the standard 12 pm. After not being able to adjust times on the Budget website, I called and spoke with a Budget representative who gladly changed the times but never mentioned it would change the base rate. Furthermore, there was never any notice of a rate change whatsoever during my failed attempts to adjust the pickup/return times on their website. Lastly, to add insult to injury, the up-charged car I received looked like a wreck literally. It had a very sizeable dent in the passenger door and had severe hail damage over the entire car. Also, the inside of the windshield was so dirty that it was hard to see out of when the sun was low on the horizon.

I felt the change of the base rate was a deceptive practice because when I learned of it when picking up the car, there was no recourse for me to just cancel my reservation without an absurd cancellation fee. Secondly, the car I paid too much for was embarrassing to drive as it looked like it was not maintained. I came away with my experience at Budget with the feeling of being totally ripped-off. At this point, Budget will not be my first choice when I need to rent a car.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Picked up a car, gave me a Ford Ecosport. It had a need service, need oil, light on worse part then sunroof is bad. Does not close right so air and noise all day. We took it right back in. They said, "Oh that means we just serviced light will go away." We also complain it is very small inside, seat belts too short and my 6 foot nephew can't fit in it. I'm 5'5" and touch to roof. They said, "Come back tomorrow. We will change it. Call direct number provided."

Today I call. It is Avis in Mexico. They can't help me. Then I call again, get someone in Cali. They can't help but try to tell me this is a mid car. So I should be happy I got a bad car but it's mid size. So I ask for a supervisor I get James he tries to tell me I am lucky I got a mid car. So I say give me my compact that has more room than this one and this needs maintenance. Also they did not seem to care so now I guess we'll take it to Budget. They can change it. I ask to make sure they reserve a car so I don't have to get another runaround but he says, "No just go in." They should have something funny. Yesterday I never left the airport and they claim they had nothing. Well we'll come back later and tell you what happens once I get to the airport.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I made a car rental reservation with Budget Car Rental at the Omaha NE airport, listing that my flight arrived at 11:45 pm. The counter, offsite location and kiosk all close by 9 pm. No answer at the customer service number. My family and I found ourselves stranded at midnight in a car rental parking lot in the middle of a trip. Why do they take reservations they have no intention of fulfilling? I had to use another car rental agency, pay more, but at least they fulfilled the service of providing a rental car. The agency I switched to said they get complaints and business from disgruntled Budget customers regularly about this issue. If this is how they treat customers, Budget won’t be in business much longer.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I rented a car through Costco that went to Budget for 8 days at LAX in May 2018. When I got to the airport to pick up the car, I was asked about extras, specifically towing, Insurance and liability. With each question I verbally said no and the representative then said to initial on the signature pad which I did. I assume that what I was signing was correlation to my verbal no. However, to my surprise when I received my bill when I returned the car, there was an extra $353.45 in charges for these unwanted extras.

The representative obviously knew what he was doing by charging these fees even though I said no to each question. When I called Budget, they told me they would give me a 25% discount for my troubles. I said no, so they offered 50% discount. They told me no again. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, they hung up on me. Upon calling back again, the supervisor told me I had signed the form and it was legally binding. I turned the problem over to my Visa company who were not able to get any relief for me either. What Budget did was totally dishonest and unethical.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Made reservation over 2 weeks ago, when I went to go pick up my truck the truck I reserved wasn't ready. They said they will have to call around to see when they can provide a truck for the reservation. Manager called 2 hours later and didn't have anything to offer. After all his day wasn't messed up at all. By this time I was able to contact U-Haul and get what I needed. Cost about $100 dollars more but U-Haul went over the top to try and help fix the problem. I feel like customer service manager would have done something to help for the inconvenience from their mistake.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

BEWARE - Budget Car Rental intentional charge extra and afterwards lies about it – even when documented to them – don’t use Budget Car Rental. It’s a scam business on all levels. I prepaid USD 787.16 and Budget Car Rental afterwards charge me USD +111.97 extra and even I got less than what prepaid. Budget Car Rental at the counter plus their customer service have seen my Budget Car Rental prepaid receipt on two child chairs. Budget claims I just prepaid for one chair though documented on their receipt I prepaid for two. The lady at the counter said I should write customer service if any complaints and done so and customer service claims the same even when shown them the prepaid receipt with two chairs prepaid, why they documented charge and steals USD +91 too much.

In addition Budget Car Rental charge me for an upgrade I never accepted and according to their own webpage I even got a cheaper car class than the one prepaid so actually Budget Car Rental downgraded me and again steals my money via getting a cheaper service than the one prepaid. When customer service is shown the receipt they explains away against what is documented on my receipt and their own webpage and simply just lies about it and neglect the fact. Plus, also first at picking up the car Budget Car Rental tried to give me a too small car like a VW Golf class and I had prepaid a SUV class.

Luckily, I have used a credit card why I got the bank to repay the money to my account as the bank looks at the facts documented to the bank in contrary to Budget Car Rental that just steal, lies about facts and just choose look the other way. Budget Car Rental is a scam business in all levels in the customer process – don’t ever use them. This can't just be the employees on the floor, this must go to the top when it is all their employees trying to scam you, hence one must believe their managers instruct the employees to steals customer's money.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My daughter and I both, reserved and prepaid for vans for a family trip to Niagara Falls on 7-28-2018 for 8 am. We arrived just a little before 8 am and there was no vehicles. The worker called and they said our vehicles will be there before 9. No problem we waited. 9 goes by then 10 goes by still no vehicles. As we are waiting we watch other people come in for the same thing. They say the same thing we did, "why would you let us reserve a van was there are none available?" Now it's 11 am still no vans. Mind you we had rented a house in Niagara Falls that is NOT REFUNDABLE.

Finally 11:30 my daughter calls the 800 number and they tell us to go to our bank so they send them a fax to refund our money. We go to the bank and call them and another person tells us there is NO such thing. Finally at 1:00 pm there is nothing we can do, we just ain't getting our vehicles we prepaid for. So much time and money was spent on this weekend. They was like 24 of us going. Some of us took that weekend off from work to enjoy the falls. All they can say is SORRY...WELL SORRY IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. As of right now they still haven't refunded me my money back for the rental. My daughter received her refund on Tuesday July 31.

They are telling me I will get mine back in 2 installments... The first installment will be between August 3 through the 7th. Then the second instalment will be another 3-6 business days. ARE YOU SERIOUS. You took my money in a quick of the mouse and now I have to wait for 2 weeks for my refund??? I am so pissed off and disappointed. Been trying to contacted them by e-mail since 7-28 2018, still no response. Wasted so much on a trip we never got to take all because BUDGET doesn't do better inventory on their vehicles... So mad and pissed off.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I am totally disgusted with Budget at this time. I was charged $79.04 for fuel service when we took the time at 4:30 in the morning, before going to the Orlando airport, to fill up the tank. Now, because some incompetent employee did not even check the fuel level and I can't produce a receipt, because my husband paid cash and lost the receipt, I'm penalized. Budget is horrible and I'll make sure to spread the word. I paid $85.00 for my group to get a ride from the pier to the Miami Airport Budget rental place, because Budget didn't provide a pick up. Although, the gentleman who helped me at the pick up counter was accommodating, I waited on a ridiculous line for more than an hour and didn't get the vehicle I reserved way in advance, but ended up with a pick up truck that was a gas guzzler, because that's all they had. Then they had the audacity to call me a liar and say I didn't fill up the tank and charged me $79.04.

I work hard as a school teacher and have no reason to lie or go through all of this. It's the principle of the whole matter and $79.04 is a lot of money to throw away. In the long run I learned a few lessons, number one never do business with Budget, if I can ever help it. Budget needs to check their procedures and correct somethings, at least at the Budget in Orlando International Airport, like the long wait for pick ups and at the drop off the employee needs to go in the vehicle and check the fuel gauge. You can't just scan a barcode in the front of the car and know if the tank is full or not, that's all I saw him do. I'm racing to catch a flight, I shouldn't have to be concerned with that at that moment. I'm also still waiting for a manager to return my call. I'm glad I didn't hold my breath.

Original review: July 31, 2018

On 7/26/18 I rented a truck from Budget to move a Summer program out of the school and into storage. I typically rent from U-Haul because I'm usually am doing both summer programs and the U-Haul rental is close to one of the program. Since I was only moving one on July 26, I pick a Budget because it was closer to that program and the Storage unit. When I got to Budget I told them I was tax exempt, the lady said that on truck rentals they did not have an area on the computer to enter the tax exempt number, only on car rental were they able to enter tax exempt. She then told me that all I would have to do is call customer service on Monday, explain that I was tax exempt and they would return my tax to me.

So I called customer service this morning and spoke with Mike, Crystal and finally Adrian, who claimed to be the highest that I could go. Adrian was extremely nasty and told me "You are not getting your tax back and that is that". I explain that her representative said that there would be no problem in getting my tax back before I signed the rental agreement. Adrian said that she did not care what I was told, that because of new laws they are unable to tell if I'm approved to be tax exempt for buy a burger or renting a truck and since most tax exempt do not include renting a truck, I would not be getting my tax back. I asked her if she could send me a statement that I was misinformed by her representative and she said that she would not. I have not encountered such rude, nasty and unprofessional customer service. We will not be doing business with Budget moving forward!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I made a reservation on last Tuesday July 24th and I used the prepay option because it was saving me money by not having to pay at the counter. I get to the counter. Everything was fine until it was time to pay a $100 deposit which I was fine with. I give them a card to do so and because I’m using a debit card instead of a credit card to pay for the deposit they have to do a credit check in order for me to use it. No one told me beforehand swiping my card that there would be a credit check so it got declined but only because I have a freeze on my credit so it has to be unlocked before anyone can pull my credit. If I would of been told about their “policy” I would have made sure everything was in order before they swiped my card.

On top of I never gave them my Social so I still don’t understand how swiping my debit card gives them access to my credit report and never got a straight answer on that either. They told me I couldn’t rent a vehicle with them because of this denial. After trying to explain to them about the freeze I was told that it wouldn’t matter with me unlocking it and then running it again now because it was already processed and it’s their company policy once they get a denial not to rent a vehicle to that person. I thought this was the craziest thing ever and instead of arguing with the guy I asked how to get my money back so I could try to go elsewhere. He gave me the 1-800 number to call, I called them and was given the information that it would take 24 to 48 hrs to get my money refunded and it had to be broken up into two payments which I didn’t get either but at this point it doesn’t matter. I just wanted to be done with them.

I waited the 24 hrs for the first payment. It never came so I gave them a callback and was told that I would have to wait 48 hrs to see the first refund and another 24 hrs to see the second refund. So again, I waited the next day and still nothing showing pending on my account so I give them a call back only to be told that it would take 3 to 5 business days before I see anything and that’s after the cancellation date. This was my first time using Budget and I promise my last!! I normally use Hertz but because they were sold out my only option available to me was Budget. I’m asking for the full payment of my rental to be reimbursed to me as soon as possible. I have been more than patient with this company and I’m tired of getting the runaround.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We rented a car July 26, 2018 @1:40pm to July 31, 2018 @ 12:00pm. We returned the car early on July 30, 2018 @ 10:30 am. We prepaid for our rental. At pick up the car was just brought in clerk. Took less than 10 minutes to clean it, leaving dog hair and dog smell on car. At pick up I asked if we returned early if we would be refunded the $$. Clerk said, "Yes." At time of pick up car was on 3/4 tank of gasoline. We returned car on July 30, 2018 @ 10:30 am. With a full tank of gasoline. Clerk said she would have manager call me when he came in between noon and 2 pm.

At 5:30 I called them. He said because it was prepaid they don't refund. And they don't refund gasoline either. He said the clerk did not know it was a prepaid reservation. I am sure it says that on the computer screen. After picking up car I got to the Target store traffic light and the change oil light came on. I called the 1-800 # to let them know. Before we hit the highway the washer fluid light came on. I have called the National Budget # and complained, I am waiting on a supervisor to return my call.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I rented a car to be picked up at El Paso airport. I reserved a Kia Soul or similar vehicle on my reservation. I was told by the desk clerk, a Toyota Yaris was the same size... Uhhhhh no. She would not budge and this is the car I was given. 2 miles from the airport, an airbag malfunction sensor is blinking. I call the desk and tell them this and I am told to call the "breakdown" number.

Even though this seems ineffective as I am so close to the pickup point, I comply to my instructions and call the breakdown number. No one answers that number and the voice mail is not established to accept messages. I then drive 60 miles to my destination wondering if the airbags will deploy if needed or unexpectedly. I call the maintenance number again next day, am told, "it's probably just a sensor, I am driving and will have to call you back." "You can go back to the airport if you want to." Uh... no... Needless to say, no one ever replaced my vehicle or even looked at it. I will never rent from this company again. I would advise you avoid them as well, obviously they have no concern for your health or well being when driving their vehicles. I expect a response from this company.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Beginning of rental: waited a long time in line for a pre-reserved pre-paid vehicle. During rental: when I was driving my vehicle an indicator comes on saying that it needs an oil change. This is approx about 72 hours after picking the car up and driving 200-300 miles (Salt Lake City, UT to Jackson, WY). I should not have to see such things on such a short rental term nor be worried about needing any roadside assistance. I spent about 35 min on hold (while driving) to chat with "emergency roadside assistance" about this. During driving the vehicle I pulled over to a campsite to stop at a bathroom and went through a pothole (driving slowly - less than 10 mph). The pothole is by definition lack of road-maintenance at the campsite road - I was not "offroad".

End of rental: During return the lady complained about mud on the vehicle and about a possible fine from it and that off-roading is not allowed. This is presumably from the pothole. Now, I find a bill for $25 on my credit card from them and haven't found out what it is for, but I suspect mud. I left a few napkins and receipts in the passenger seat, could the $25 fee be from that? Conclusion: bad/negative experience: 1) bad waiting for car, 2) bad experience during driving, 3) bad experience in drop-off. Recommendation: avoid and do not use Budget. Honestly, they should be called "no budget" reflecting their apparent desire to bill you for every little thing.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I rented a car from Budget in Madeira for 29 days and asked about an additional driver for the 5 days my wife would join me. I was given a price, which I considered high, and a form to fill in with her driver's license information if we decided to use this option. I never agreed to this option, nor returned the paper with my wife's info. At the end of the rental period, I returned the car clean and full of gasoline. After inspecting it, the agent said everything was fine and my contract was closed.

Three days later, I checked my bank account to find that 116 euros had been charged for additional services and when I phoned to ask them about it, they claimed it was for an additional driver and Roadside Assistance, which they claimed I had asked for and accepted. That is simply not true. Despite my complaints, including going to the ECRCS (European Car Rental Conciliation Service), they refuse to refund these charges for additional services which I never asked for nor accepted. I have disputed the charge with my credit card company as well and it remains to be seen if I fare better with them. I will not use Budget nor Avis again, but they will most likely get their 116 euros, at the cost of one customer. I have had problems when hiring rental cars in Madeira in the past; the place is beautiful, but the car renters are shameless.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Saturday, July 21 at noon was my first experience renting from Budget. Confirmation **. Someone needs to make it right on my credit card. Why did I and 25 others have to stand in line (for me it was 2 FULL HOURS) to get our PRE-RESERVED cars? Did a supervisor not see the volume of business coming? Obviously not and did not staff appropriately. What a way to treat customers. No explanation. No apology. No discount. The other rental agencies were getting a good laugh. From what I could gather, This seems to happen a lot at Budget/Avis. Some people bailed and paid more just to get out of there. Those of us who booked because we needed the lower price paid more by paying with our time and inconvenience. I will post again something positive if there is a credit issued to me. Stay tuned.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Really disappointed in Budget car rentals... They offered me a 30% off coupon. However when it was applied the base rental price jumped from 192 up to 251. Some discount plan they have. If I hadn’t been in a rush I would have went with another company. Will however be the last time I rent from Budget Car rental... To add to I ended up having to change my pick up time by a couple of hours later in the day. They charged me 26.00 to do so. Claiming their prices change minute by minute. NEVER AGAIN will I use Budget Car Rental. The only reason they get 1 star is I have no option for 0.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I rented a truck from Budget in Warwick RI and was never told that an EZ pass was in the truck or how to turn it on or off. I subsequently paid all of the tolls in cash and did not get receipts because I did not need them for my records. However, Budget charged me $56.50 for tolls that I already paid and would not reimbursed me since I had paid them in cash and had no proof. I was told it was in the agreement, I should have read it!!! I believe that the associate at the location should have told me about the ez pass and also showed me how to turn it off and on. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I am writing this in regards to my experience with Budget rentals. My daughter rented a 2018 Ford Flex from Budget, as she was driving back through Kansas City, the window pillar on the driver's side blew off. It was not from any damage on her part, just a faulty window pillar. She was honest with them and explained that it had blew off while she was driving. So now they have sent her a bill of 240 dollars for this window pillar. I called Ford and they said this was common on some Ford products. Also if the windshield had been replaced, someone may have not attached it correctly. I have rented numerous cars from Budget, this is nothing more than having a consumer pay for their parts for their rentals that could not have been prevented.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Seems as if no one cares about what I had to go through. I reserved a car online and was able to make and pay for a reservation. Went to Budget where there was a really long line with only 2 workers. I stood in line for almost 2 hours just for the rep Curtis to tell me they were sold out and I wouldn't have transportation! How unprofessional and why was I able to book online without them having no cars??? Also calling customer service wasn't better! They just transfer and don't offer any type of compensation. How would you like it if you were left stranded??? Then I have to wait 7 days for a refund? Wow! This was my first time using Budget and will be my last!

Original review: July 21, 2018

Needed a FULL SIZE pick up to move my son home from college. Reserved a FULL SIZE truck from Budget - they advertised an F150 XLT Crew Cab or COMPARABLE. I realized maybe I would not get an F150 - but at least a FULL SIZE truck - Chevy - GMC - Nisson Titan - Toyota Tundra - didn't matter. Made the reservation weeks in advance. Confirmed the reservation. Tried calling the rental location at least 10 times on the day of the reservation to confirm they had the truck but was only given a recorded message that my reservation was ready to go.

So I drive to the location to pick up the FULL SIZE truck I reserved and the lady behind the counter proceeds to hand me the keys to a Nissan Frontier. I almost busted an artery. She said they were comparable. I asked her in what world was an F150 XLT Crew Cab the same as a Nissan Frontier? Needless to say she probably does not know the difference and could only repeat Budget line that they were the same. Pointless. Dropped the keys on the counter and left. What a joke. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: July 21, 2018

A prepaid rental reservation number ** was canceled because it was paid (2 months in advance) with Debit card and a minimum score of 700 was not attained. The U.S. average is 687, according to Equifax. I understand this is policy. But it does exclude around 75% of population from renting a car with you with their debit card. The issue is that, multiple calls to Budget national number to go over this policy was never explained to me, on two occasions I was told that a $100.00 hold and license documents were all that was needed. As a person with a slightly lower than 700 score because of a disability and not employed I certainly would not have booked the rental and paid in full two months in advance if I knew and I purposely called to verify the requirements for this reason.

For the record the Wilkes-Barre PA, Kidder street employee could not have been nicer or more professional, he was excellent. The issue was with calling into the national reservation line, ** was polite but seemed disinterested in helping us so I escalated to a supervisor, it was very hard to hear him, said all he was "willing" to give me was a refund with no surcharge. Seeing that was my only option I asked for an expedited refund as we needed to rent from a competitor as we were leaving for vacation Saturday. I asked for his supervisor in which I was replied to with "I do not have a boss." He said he could only offer a refund to be processed in 3 to 5 business days.

Stating again the unacceptable timing and that agents misinformed us, he stated very clearly that customer care could issue an expedited refund within 24 hours and transferred me to them, the customer care employee stated this was not the case and refunds will be issued in 3 to 5 business days. Again I asked for a supervisor, ** came on the line. She reiterated policy and the refund time period of 3 to 5 business days. When I told her that I had experience as a customer service manager for a major home products chain that absolutely Visa Card services could expedite refunds at the merchant's request she tersely said "yeah, but you never done it for Budget," (very condescending) and whatever the prior supervisor from reservations said about expedited refunds was inaccurate.

Explaining again my family's situation and was in jeopardy of not reaching our destination and possibly losing $2000 house rental and the fact I received multiple inaccurate policy statements, if Budget was willing to try to accelerate our refund as it is possible with a request to Visa card services. She repeated as if reading a script over and over how she understood my frustration. I asked ** for a manager, she professed multiple times there was "absolutely no one" available. I asked if she was sure several times because I would be calling corporate about her statements, she put me on hold and magically ** who said she was a manager, Badge ** came on the line after repeatedly saying there was no supervisor on duty.

** listened to now the fourth telling of the situation and affirmed multiple times Budget has never and will never issue an expedited refund, I asked if it was a case of policy even if was not customer error? She said yes and gave me a case number and gave us another statement that the refund in fact was to be issued in 5 to 7 business days, even though I was told 3 to 5 days multiple times. She could not explain why the others said that because she was sure it was 5 to 7 days. I told her this is terrible customer relations and would be talking to corporate on Monday as our vacation is now could be ruined as we cannot get there with our current transportation.

Upon getting my cancellation email it turns out ** statements were also highly inaccurate as it clearly states 3 to 10 business days. ** obviously does not know company policy as did three other customer service "professionals" I had spoken with in the nearly 1 hour conversation with this company, three of which were supervision. I intend to bring my experience to the executive level as clearly there is serious skills and training deficits in the departments I had to deal with today.

I also intend to bring suit in small claims court to recoup lost reservation of nearly $2000.00 vacation lodging costs If indeed we cannot find a way to get there. I am also forwarding this to the Better Business Bureau complaint email box and intend to share this experience on social media. The facts are what they are our value as good faithfully paid in advanced customers was ignored and untrue statements said to us to get us off the phone were hurtful and insulting. Our dignity and patronage was not worth Budget's consideration.

Original review: July 19, 2018

When I rent a car I ALWAYS get COMPLETE FULL coverage for it. When I went to get the rental, I stated clearly that I wanted full coverage. Yet, one morning I noticed a crack in the car's windshield. The Budget employee that received the car was very kind, he checked my reservation agreement, and assured me that it was not a problem considering my coverage. YET 2 MONTHS LATER I SEE A CHARGE FOR $215. I called them and they said I didn't have that kind of damage in my rental insurance. NEVER AGAIN WILL RENT AT BUDGET.

Not sure about Budget Rent-A-Car?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Rental Cars for you.

Budget Rent-A-Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

• Best for: Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information

1958
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany
NJ
www.budget.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business