1.14/5
Based on 257 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 20, 2018

1526 Budget Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

While arranging a trip to New Orleans I received a quote for a rental from the New Orleans Airport location through the airline. The quote was for $318.17 and included a request for a GPS. When actually paying for the rental the charged price was $412.34. After returning from the trip I disputed the extra charge and was given the run around with Budget claiming that I was quoted the $412.34. Finally, after sending them copies of the original quote four times (to different people that I was routed to) they acknowledged the $317.18 but said that the extra charge was for the GPS and other fees. I filed a complaint through BBB to which Budget continued to deny any wrongdoing. Ultimately they said that they considered the matter closed and that I was charged appropriately. Check BBB for documentation.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I used the Budget Rent a Car to make an online reservation. I hit submit and the transaction did not go through as, according to the website, I had entered the wrong credit card information. I re-entered the credit card number, submit it and the transaction processed. My credit card, AMEX, informs me of all online transactions.

Budget charged me for the same transaction twice. I immediately called Budget, this is within five minutes of my online transaction, and was told it would take five to seven days for the refund to process. I checked online at the Budget site, and saw that I was being charged a 150 dollar transaction fee. So, Budget was somehow able to charge me for a transaction for which they had the incorrect credit card number and then decided to withhold 150 for a cancellation fee. This all happened without me. Budget made a reservation, canceled the reservation and then made a second identical reservation all within the space of 60 seconds. This cost me 150 dollars.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I recently rented a car from Budget Rental, Denver International Airport. After I returned the car and returned home, I checked my credit card statement and noticed that I was charged a re-fuel charge for a full tank of gas. I filled the tank in Brighton, CO 20 minutes from the airport. I wonder how any people are getting ripped off from Budget if they don’t check their account.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I prepaid for a rental on Feb 22 for $260.88 and when I went to pick up, there was an issue renting due to debit card policies. It has now been nearly 2 months, multiple phone calls where I got the run-around from various "customer service" reps telling me to wait anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks. Needless to say, I've received nothing. This is fraudulent business!!! Not providing the service that's been paid for and refusing to return the money is called stealing. And it's illegal. Case: ** Reservation: **.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I received a coupon rate from Budget for $485.28 for a 10 day rental. When I went to pick up the car they said they had 1 Ford Edge on the lot but it had a Navigation system that I didn't need or request. They wanted to charge me an extra $100 for the 10 day rental for the upgrade. I told them that I did not need the Nav system and did not want to pay for it. They told me I would have to dispute this with the billing department. I received my final bill which stated that I had agreed to pay for the upgrade. Not true! I tried calling customer service for 45 minutes and kept getting disconnected.

I finally went online and that didn't get me anywhere. I finally got the supposed billing department on the phone and they told me that I had to call customer service and gave me the same number I had been calling where I was disconnected several times. This is the most frustrating billing situation I have ever experienced and do not know where to go from here. I will try the credit card company and see if they can help me. I will never use this company again. I usually use Hertz and have never had a bad experience. This is the 2nd time Budget has charged me more than my quoted rate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: April 15, 2018

After nightmare with Enterprise still unresolved! Budget is a dream, rented a car 2 weeks under 400. No hassle, reserve online, arrived, showed driver's license, handed me keys. A breeze!! Stress free. A++. Budget meets your budget. :)

Original review: April 11, 2018

Went into the Budget on Holcomb Bridge Road on 4/11/18 at 8:30 a.m. to inquire about a car rental and the gentleman didn’t even have a copy of the requirements and told me to go to another location for a rental because he didn’t have what I needed. He also stated that he would not call the other location for me, so I’ve decided to go to Enterprise where they pride themselves with excellent customer service.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I rented a car from the Seattle airport to drive home. I was told to drop it off by 2:30 the next day. I dropped it off at 2 pm, but they were all closed at 11 am because it was a Sunday, and anything dropped off after closing is charged an extra day. I called customer service, but not only did George ** not care, or even TRY to help, he got rude, threatened to charge me even more, and claimed that he had no supervisor, or boss to refer to. I can't even know if that's his actual name and number or not.

I

Original review: April 9, 2018

The rental of the car was all done online via pre-pay as they offered the best price. The car we we're supposed to get was a Chevy Malibu or similar, what was supplied seemed smaller but we weren't driving much so it wasn't too big of a deal. Their computer system was down, so they had to write up all agreements by hand. They gave us the option to purchase gas or have them fill it (their price was 4.99 a gallon I believe). We chose to fill the car before returning to the airport and it only had 7/8 of a tank when we left, which the agent pointed out to us. We were billed after returning the car for "fuel expenses" of $16.31, the car was filled within 5 miles of the airport.

We filled half the tank for $14.05, which is all the gas we used for a week. I don't appreciate a company that is going to abuse the use of holding my credit card for "use of incurred expenses and damages" and then abuse those privileges for their gain. It may only be $16.31 in money but I won't go back to Budget due to their lack of ethics. The customer service person wanted gas station, address, date, time, gallons, amount spent. I gave him what was on my credit card bill which was not all of that. Maybe he should be looking in his own company as obviously I was not refueling someone else's car in Punta Gorda FL by the airport when I live in Indiana on the same day in question. Very poor service when they are at fault trying to make the customer feel at fault for not doing something correct.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I left my husband and my handicap placard on the visor of the Budget rental. When my husband went back to retrieve the placards he was given only his. When he questioned my placard he was told, "Oh I thought you only wanted that one." REALLY??? So my husband made the guy go back to get it. He asked for our phone number and said go to the gate at the Orlando airport and I will get the placard. He called us to say he got it and would mail. Three weeks later still no placard. Budget sent me a claim stating it was never turned into lost and found and the guy who I called claimed to have given it to them. He proceeds to text me a phone number to get through to Budget -- Dish TV phone number.

I reported the incident to the Orlando police. Gave him the guy's phone number. And lo and behold Budget claims it was always at the Budget lost and found. Liars. I asked for the corporate number and the manager. Manager didn't answer his page --- isn't that a shocker and the corporate number I was given was their reservation number. Deceitful company who takes no pride in customer service. Always a persons handicap placard to go unaccounted with no follow up, not even, "I'm sorry." Instead rude cockiness from the woman who spoke with the police officer telling him she didn't know where to send it. You took it out of the car rental or was it taken and returned because the police were involved. Let me tell you if there was anything wrong with the car they would have known exactly how to reach me. Try getting their corporate number. There is none public. They don't care.

Original review: April 9, 2018

4 people in front of me, I waited 34 minutes to check in. After checking in I had to wait 45 minutes for a valet driver to bring me my vehicle. Complained to check-in desk but they were completely useless and VERY unsympathetic! HOW DISGUSTING!!! Rent a sled dog team next time you're in the Jacksonville Airport instead of these buffoons!!!! At least you'll be greeted by a happy smiling face. SHAME ON THE JACKSONVILLE AIRPORT "BUDGET" RENT A JERK OUTFIT!!!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Worst customer service. When the location is closed, they shouldn't allow drop off. Else they should have the facility to see when we dropped off. On top of that they cannot charge both late fee as well as one day rental charge. Worst rental car services in the market.

Original review: April 9, 2018

On a recent family trip to Florida we arrived at the Budget Rent-A-Car counter at Tampa International Airport on time. The line up was horrific and it took over an hour to get our car. The excuse was they were very busy and it was taking a long time to clean and prep the larger SUVs and vans. Too bad! They know the confirmed rentals and therefore, should have those vehicles prepared in advance. I have never experienced this with National, Enterprise or Hertz. To add insult to injury. We filled up the car, before heading to the airport, but still got dinged for 1/8 tank. ($23.00 charge!!) Plus the airport fee was not included in the estimated extra charges, but was on the final bill! Never had surprises like this from the competitors. Not really "budget" at all.

Original review: April 8, 2018

We had a confirmed reservation at Budget, Fort Lee, NJ location. Came to pick up the car (on time!), were told they ran out of cars and we better search for the car elsewhere. Budget representative did not try to help, refused to call other Budget locations to locate available car for us. We tried calling Budget Central Reservations, where representatives told us that their system is down for undefined period of time and they can't help us either. As a result, we had to cancel our plans, got stuck without a car with three kids in tow and nowhere to rent the car till Monday morning (since every other rental around us is closed on Sunday). "Great" service, Budget. Never again...

Original review: April 6, 2018

I had reserved a small SUV in advance of our trip at the Greece NY location. On the day we were to Pick-up our vehicle they told us it wasn't available until the next day. We were given a # to call ourselves. We did and were told if we went to the ROC location we could get a full size car for the same price. When we arrived at the airport we were told there was no car available and given a # to check back that afternoon. We had prepaid and now we're late getting on the road to a wedding. I ended up renting the vehicle we were supposed to get from Alamo for twice the amount but they were very accommodating and saved the day!

Budget reps were no help. Had us drive across town for nothing. We were given a # to call to get a refund. Beware of Budget! We could have missed the wedding and now it cost 300$ more, The man at the Greece location also told us he had six SUV's reserved to go out and only was going to have 4. So they knew they didn't have enough cars. The rep at the airport said, "Oh they send us people all the time", that was it. No help!

Original review: April 5, 2018

Upon picking up a reserved rental through Costco in AZ, there was a 45 min wait. Budget's computers crashed. I was asked if I wanted insurance to which I replied no because my car insurance covers rentals. When I returned the car they added on not only insurance but a fee for loss damage. The fees ended up costing more than the rental. Again, I DID NOT agree to those extra fees. They charged me $450 for 4 days. I spoke with several people who were so rude and would have nothing to do with making this right. I stopped payment on my Visa for the extra fees and paid the rental fees. They have been sending me threatening letters since Dec. I finally paid the fee off to get them away from me. What an awful company. In reading other complaints, this is commonplace for them. They should not be able to get away with this.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Due to incorrect information given by Budget representatives on more than one occasion, my accumulated partner airlines miles account was reduced to zero. Budget said sorry but that there was nothing they could do about it. After forty years of loyal patronage and several frustrating months of trying to resolve the issue with Budget, I have decided to never use Budget again. I would rather walk. There are plenty of other reliable rental cars companies. I would recommend you use them. It's not worth the risk.

Original review: March 31, 2018

When I picked up my car the gentleman was trying to get me to buy all this insurance and I said no. His last one he said just covered the car for $35... Most people just get that. So I said well I have my own insurance and I bought insurance through Expedia so I didn't need that. He said, "Well for $35 you can't go wrong." In a weak, tired moment I said ok. Less than 10 hrs later, the next morning I looked at the contract and realized it said $35 per DAY. I immediately called customer service and spoke with oscar and he told me nothing could be done until I turn the car in. I kept asking if there was absolutely nothing that I could do to get this insurance off and he said no, not until I turn it in.

So I returned the car and asked a manager there what to do and she said "they will be happy to take care of me at the customer service 800 number". So I called back and of course they won't refund the insurance because now they say I had it the whole time. So of course the consumer/customer gets screwed! I did everything I could to prevent getting fully charged and I still am out the money. I will never rent with Budget again. I gave them the names of everyone I spoke with and asked them to please listen to the recordings but they of course don't want to do that!

Original review: March 30, 2018

Received a letter in the mail, 2 weeks after we rented a car from Budget, that they are charging us $75 extra for cleaning service, because they discovered sand on the floor/carpet. I requested photos, which I have included here. The sand is nothing that a standard vacuum cannot deal with. Very disappointed in their customer service! Person on the phone, told me that they could have charged me $250, as you have to return the car exactly as you received it. The way we returned the car was normal wear and tear for a rental of 6 days.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Several months ago I filed a complaint against the manager, Mohamed **, of the Burnsville, MN location. I recently reserved a vehicles online through carrentals.com. I went to pick the vehicle up not remembering he was the one I filed a complaint against. Instead of Mr. ** ensuring I had a better experience than the last time that led to my initial complaint, he abused his authority and use it to retaliated against me. He downgraded my rental and lied about it being the same vehicle size for the same price. Then he gave me two filthy vehicles. My kids' vehicles are cleaner than these cars. Then when I found a vehicles that was clean he lied and told me that it was another customer's.

I asked him if I could take the vehicle and exchange it at another location. He said they wouldn't exchange it unless he approved it. I asked him would he approve it and he said no. He told me I complain too much and stated he remembered me from last time I complained. He stated he remembered me. I had filed a complaint to customer service regarding a previous experience and because it's his store they forwarded to him. Then he told me to take my business somewhere else and threaten to cancel the contract. I told him I didn't remember the incident, but I have a right to a clean car. He stated my clean and his was two different things. I said I am the customer and my opinion should matter. He threaten to cancel the contract again. I told him I didn't have a way home. He refused to give me any other car but the second one which was a smaller vehicle and even worst. It even had body damage.

Mohamed was rude and disrespectful to me and intentionally gave me dirty vehicles in retaliation for filing a complaint against him. I don't remember the specifics of my initial complaint, but this issue validated my concerns and proves he has bad customer service and rents dirty vehicles to customers service. Mr. ** doesn't seem to have concerns regarding his complaint process especially complaints against him because when I informed him he made a sarcastic remark as if nothing will be done. Obviously either nothing was done after my initial complaint or it wasn't sufficient enough to correct Mr. ** behavior; therefore I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, Attorney General, and Minnesota Civil Rights division. He belittled me and embarrassed me in front of another customer and I am very upset. I have a right to be treated equally and fair.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I had a horrible renting experience with Budget Rental in Oakland international airport. My reservations was for 1200 noon, March 24th a Saturday, and to return Sunday the 25th! I arrived at 1200 and sat in line for a hour, couldn’t get a car immediately and ended up leaving by 130! When I was driving at 35 I felt shaking in the wheel in the luxury vehicle I rented. I got on the freeway and the shaking became worst at 65 mph. I Didn’t have time to take the car back so I went home while calling roadside service! The 1st agent gave me the wrong drop of information to return and get a new vehicle in my city, by telling me a address that wasn’t in my state! So I called again and was disconnected twice so I started getting names and badge numbers.

A Long story short I received a new rental via tow truck at 9 pm after being text 5 times that he was on the way back. I expected him at 6! Made arrangements to return the car at 200 pm Sunday via phone call with a $50 credit of $147, So I would be paying under $100 for the rental. I was charged $271 dollars and some change and I called 14 times to get the bill down to $125.76 which I still think is unfair! I was lied to and said I left the rental car lot at 1245 Saturday March 24th, when I was still in the line at that time.

I was told I would pay for the time I had the rental from 9pm March 24 until March 25th Sunday at my original rate which was $147 with a $50 credit in 3 to 5 business days and that was a lie! I have 5 out of 14 badge numbers and names because I kept getting disconnected! I rented from Avis the day I returned the budget rental and had no problems. Was charged the amount on the receipt! And Budget also told me I'm being charged and gas fee of $40 dollars when I returned the car full, and I have the receipt for that! I thought it was just the Oakland airport location I rented from, but it’s the whole company. Budget Rental Entirely! PS this is the third time something like this has happened but this is the worst!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I had reserved a car online and had a confirmation number. When I arrived from my flight to West Palm Beach airport location, there were many online waiting with 2 at counter to "help." The one older lady employee rudely stated she would be leaving because she had been there since 6 am working. That left one gentleman at the counter. She stared that if we all wanted quicker service that we should take the courtesy shuttle from the airport to another off site location because there were many more who could help us, and it would be quicker! What a deception! I took the shuttle (along with many others who had also wanted at the airport location) and once inside, saw that there were several working at counter...but the line there was much longer.

At least 30 or so customers that all needed cars to rent. It looked like only a few at the counter were actively helping customers in line. A couple others sat off behind the counter and looked like they were on break the entire 2 hours I was there. The entire system is disorganized and chaotic. Two different lines, other than the one I was in, funneled in from of both sides. We who had been waiting the longest were made to wait even longer still as people who has just walked in minutes before were helped! I finally went up to the counter and asked why some were not waiting in line but went to the counter and immediately were helped. I was told that one gentlemen had been returning his car and that is why he was helped...but he was at the counter flirting with the girls and it took him at least a half hour.

She rented him a car with no wait. When I questioned why we were made to wait so long...I was with about 6 others from the original airport location. The manager finally called in additional help. When I got to the counter, I told the acting manager that the employee at the airport location had told us all to go there to be helped. It would be quicker. She said," I wish they would stop doing that." I will never rent a car from Budget again. They are rude, and inconsiderate. Be warned! It is not worth whatever price savings you think you might have gotten.

Original review: March 28, 2018

This company sucks and rip off. They require you an enormous deposit of 500 U which is equivalent to $617.28. Car rentals normally require a deposit of $200.00. To lure a customer, they asked you to put a small amount of reserve deposit for a car rental. Once you made a reservation, they asked you to block in your credit card 500 Euro. Bad business for Budget Rent-A-Car.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Waited over 2 hours in-line. Asked deliberate irrelevant questions in order to add things up on the bill. Paid for mid-side and went out to garage and car was not there. Was given a compact car by attendant. Frustrated at 1:00 am in the morning to start vacation. Will never use Budget again. Horrible Service.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had the same experience as most other reviewers. I stood in a line of about 25 people (I took a photo and counted) for an hour to check in at the airport location, then I had to wait outside another 1/2 hour with two small children for a car to be brought around to each those same 25 people. The desk has over 8 kiosks but only 3 are staffed and one is dedicated for a fast break marketing gimmick which makes everyone else in line wait even longer. The delay forced us to be unable to drop the car off before closing the same day which caused inconvenience and additional overnight parking expenses. As is typical in the industry, upcharging was aggressive, but Budget really seemed unethical about it.

Some staff was pleasant and chatty at the counter, but showed no sense of urgency for the rest of us still in line. It was WAY worse than the DMV. I would honestly much rather get a car titled at the DMV. If Budget is going to continue to operate in this manner, I suggest they put chairs in the lobby and have people take a number. I am one to be extremely patient and NEVER complain about service, as I understand there can be hiccups in any system. I always want to make excuses and sympathize with staff. Aside from the three people at the kiosks, they had TWO people opening the door for customers. Turns out it was both of their first day. I advised them to run away, as I can’t imagine their job will be pleasant. After reading other reviews, I see this is business as usual for Budget. This experience was on Maui.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My husband travelled to Hartford, CT in February. I rented the car online through Southwest Airlines. The original quote, all inclusive, was approximately $200. When my husband arrived at the counter he was told he was a day early but they would accommodate him. The clerk asked my husband if he wanted to upgrade and he said "yes" BECAUSE she told him it would only be $18 more a day. When he signed the contract it was for over $580 and he assumed this was an estimate. When he arrived to drop the car back to Budget we were charged $585.02. Even if we were charged an extra day for being early (though he also returned it a day early) this is an outrageous fee. My husband has written directly to Budget and they basically said, "you signed the contract." We are disheartened by this experience and would never rent from Budget again. We will also continue to push for remuneration from Budget.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I had reserved a midsize vehicle. After a counter delay due to lack of available cars I was given an economy (compact) car and my contract stated midsize. I questioned the representative who assured the Ford Fiesta was a midsize vehicle. After having trouble with the size of the car I tried to upsize at another office where I found out the Fiesta was NOT a midsize as I had been led to believe. I was given a smaller car than I was charged for! BUYER BEWARE. I will forever avoid Budget and will tell whoever will listen they should do the same! An attempt to get charges changed at the issuing office after much argument resulted in a paltry 10% managerial discount because "there was no way to rewrite the contract."

Original review: March 21, 2018

7923 West Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia. Multiple customers complaining at the same time. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. Team members mumbling disparaging comments about customers in their presence. Conflicting information from the different team members. Information that does not coincide with the website terms and conditions nor the T&C on the reservation confirmation. Team member contradicting her own information during the interaction. Team members smoking in front of the building in plain view of customers and my family and I are non smokers. JUST TO NAME A FEW ISSUES.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Budget rental West Palm Beach. Giving this company one star is way too much. We rent a car 6-10 times a year and not ONCE was there not massive wait or problems even with a FastBreak card. Their system is ancient and it takes forever to check in or out. The staff is beyond useless and their customer service is terrible. There are ALWAYS at least 3 frustrated customers asking to see the manager (which is also useless) when we are there. Can’t wait to buy a car so I don’t have to deal with them ever again...

Original review: March 20, 2018

We rented a Budget car through Costco (free additional driver). The rental line happened to be 40 or 50 deep and slow. I was waved over by Mark as my turn came. He found the reservation for a intermediate, which would be ample for our 2 pieces of luggage. Mark however insisted that we would not be happy and did his best to upsell me to a larger vehicle for an additional $40 a day (more than double my quote). I insisted the car was fine. Then Mark started on the extra insurance. I told him I had 5 million liability as well as the Platinum card coverage. Reluctantly he moved on to the tank fill up prepay etc. You then don't sign a document but a signature pad as the accept/declines scroll by.

After the 45-60min wait in the line I was glad to be free. The car was great and upon return the produced slip at the kiosk tallies up a total including the Damage Waiver insurance which had been added on although I had verbally declined it. Running late for the airport, heading back inside for a discussion was not possible. BEWARE and double check! They appear to get bonuses for every upsell and Mark slipped one by me. On the bottom of the receipt it states I had been given the option to USD but chose CAD which is a total lie. I use a card which has zero transaction fees so I was scammed for an additional 3%. I hope there will be a class action lawsuit... I would be in.

Budget Rent-A-Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

• Best for: Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information