1.13/5
Based on 239 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1568 Budget Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

We had major hail damage. Enterprise was booked. Budget wasn't and they said they would bill our insurance several times. Insurance was fine with that. Insurance never got a bill, Budget put it all on our card and said they do not bill insurance now!!! They said it was a new guy named Anthony... not our problem! We will be returning the car early and going to Enterprise.

Original review: June 16, 2018

BEWARE IF YOU RENT FROM BUDGET! 1) They charged me for an upgrade when clearly I didn’t have one or agree to an upgrade. When I called about it they agreed, but said they had to charge me anyway and then I had to wait for reimbursement! 2) You must return the car within 29 minutes of your scheduled time or be charged an additional day! 3) I left my garage door opener on visor. I filled out a lost and found report but they didn’t find it, so they obviously threw it away instead of turning it in. Customer Service just said he couldn’t deny that. NOT RENTING FROM BUDGET AGAIN. I WILL SPREAD THE WORD!!!

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Do NOT rent a car from this company! If I could give them a zero rating, I would. Upon return of our rental car, we forgot to take our GoPro camera out of the backseat. I understand every customer signs a rental agreement that doesn’t hold Budget responsible for lost items, but they need to hold their employees accountable when something like this is reported and brought to their attention. The rental agreement isn’t a free pass for them to steal! We contacted Budget almost immediately after we returned our car. Getting in contact with someone is a nightmare, but after hours of calling we got ahold of someone.

The lost and found manager, Maneca, assured us the car had not been touched yet or cleaned. She “couldn’t find the car to go look inside” so she told us she put a hold on the car that wouldn’t allow it to be rented out. Then the last contact we had with her, she said the car was rented out because the hold was removed. So one of their employees stole our camera! There is no reason why this couldn’t have been returned to us when we gave them our exact car number and many opportunities to go and retrieve it. This camera had footage from my husband and I traveling to Breckinridge for our first anniversary and it’s gone now! Yes it was our mistake for not grabbing it from the backseat, but Budget has dishonest employees and thieves who handled our car. Someone from this company has our camera!

Original review: June 10, 2018

Booked a car online to be picked up at the West Valley, Utah location, and I paid in full for the rental online. I go to the location at noon and they tell me they have no cars. They say I have to go to the airport. So I go to the airport and stand in line for over an hour only to find out they also have no cars available. I asked the attendant to credit my credit card back and she said I'd have to call Budget and get them to do it. Well, the rental was $159 and change, however, they have a cancellation fee of $150!! What a frickin scam that is. I had no car and they are still charging me 95% of the rental rate. Anyway, I went back to the location in West Valley, Utah as there was an Enterprise Car Rental right across the street from Budget. The gist of the story is I was in and out of Enterprise in 15 minutes and on my way in their rental car... and they gave me a free upgrade to a mid size car. Never ever rent anything from Budget car rental!

Original review: June 9, 2018

Budget Rent-A-Car has the WORST customer service that I have ever experienced! Especially if you rent from the LAX location - you will spend at least 1-2 hours waiting in a line (outside in the sun and heat with all your kids and luggage) just to get to the counter. Then they will say they don’t have the vehicle that you reserved over 2 MONTHS AGO (No sorry or anything!)! So you will either need to take another number and wait another 1-2 hours to see if MAYBE someone happens to return that type of vehicle OR you can rent another type of vehicle at an additional cost per day. They will not admit that is their fault for not having the vehicle that you reserved 2 MONTHS AGO! So, your hands are tied and they have you backed against a wall.

You have to endure the multiple hour waiting game again or accept their terms and EXTRA CHARGES. And the worst part is they don’t care AT ALL! They just act like it’s your fault and you can take it or leave it. Then you call customer service later to explain the situation and they are even worse than the people at the counter. They say “Well you signed the contract accepting the additional charges so you have to pay that amount”. Again, no apologies or adjustments or anything! What’s the use of even having a reservation if that’s the game they play?!? And it wasn’t just my family that this was happening to - I overheard several other customers getting tricked into same stuff. STAY AWAY from Budget!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: June 7, 2018

Budget SUCKS. I was signed up for their FastBreak program - wasn't told I needed to worry about $10/gallon for returning a vehicle 3/4 of the way full...Guess how much they charged me when I returned my rental? $113! Apparently the vehicle needed 10 gallons to be considered "full" AND they charge a RIDICULOUS amount of money per gallon. Is the fuel MADE OF GOLD??? Here was a direct quote when I attempted to contact the company via their complaint department: "Our records indicate the vehicle was showing returned with 10.00 gallons under a full tank. A fuel service fee of $9.99 per gallon was applied in accordance with the notification on your signed rental agreement."

Great - so apparently it's my fault for not reading the agreement. Sure. I'll pay the $100 because I DIDN'T READ. But, guess what, Budget??? I'm going to warn everyone else about your OUTRAGEOUS fees so that they don't use you for rentals! Because I know for a fact that I could have used other rental places and they would have charged me the "Local Price" for gas...$3.50/gallon. Readers: PLEASE USE SOMEONE ELSE so that you aren't outrageously charged for fuel!! Was it my fault for not reading the SMALL, GRAY FINE PRINT? Yes. It was. So maybe read what you're signing, even if that means you don't get a "FastBreak" when you're picking up your vehicle.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I was renting a car from them for 6 whole months because I'm a traveling nurse and needed a reliable car in a hurry without being dedicated to a long term loan. I always prepaid online, as it is much easier. I'm also part of their fastbreak program and long term loyalty program where you earn free days, which I never ever got. Anyways, they came and took the vehicle from me stating that I did not pay for a whole month. How is this POSSIBLE? It is on my account showing it is paid for up front. Are they blind? The recovery agent said that there is nothing he can do, so he took it.

It has been 3 weeks and I just got charged $2000 with no explanation of what it is for or a receipt. I don't understand how they could do this, but they have messed with the wrong person, as I have proof and I'm going straight to the top. I'm going to contact their CFO. I urge you not to do business with these people. They are crooks and don't care about their customers. They can charge your card for whatever they want without a reason. Beware!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I believe I was tricked into purchasing car insurance at the Budget car rental at Denver International Airport. I had prepaid for my rental months in advance and had declined all insurance and add-ons. When I went to pick up the car, I told the employee that I did not want the extra insurance. I never rented a car before, so I took in good faith what their employee told me to do. The screen that I was told to sign was very small and hard to read. I was told to sign the screen in order to rent the car, I left confused and felt like I had been totally taken advantage of. But I didn’t want to cause a scene and was in a hurry to get on my way. After I realized what had happened, I called Budget. They said I had agreed to the extra insurance by signing and that is should have read the fine print. I ended up being charged $259 for something I did not want. I think it is deplorable how this company takes advance of its unsuspecting customers.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Using my Costco membership, I rented a car online for pickup at rental agency on Gillespie Street in Las Vegas. I had requested a Toyota Avalon, a very nice vehicle. When I finally reached the front of the line the reservation clerk told me they had run out of Avalons. Why did they not reserve it for me as requested? The gal was quite pushy and seemed very hurried. She said she had another vehicle that she wanted me to rent, a Nissan Rogue, and as she wrote it up she stated that it was an upgrade to the Avalon. Give me a break! Looking up the value of these 2 vehicles I found the Avalon sells for around $37000 and the Rogue $26000. I was very disappointed in this transaction after having time later to review it.

Huge quality difference between these 2 vehicles. She termed this an upgrade, but only in cost, not quality. The Rogue ended up costing more than $100 more for my 10 day rental. When I rent a vehicle I always expect fairness, seemed to me the only interested here was in charging and upgrading me to put more money in their till. And, she was very rude. I will never rent from Budget again after this experience and talking to others and noting much unhappiness from other reviews I have read. I will go back to Enterprise next time, they seem honest and ethical. I could add more to this but don't want to take more of my valuable time.

Original review: May 29, 2018

It was the Memorial Day weekend and I had already booked a car using my Costco membership. I didn't take my confirmation because I know people can look up my information using my ID. The lady at the front desk (San Jose Airport) told me that my rental was for one day, when I had clearly booked it for 3 days. I don't know what she was hoping for, but once I told that I booked it through Costco, she was able to magically find the rental. Then she asked if I would like insurance, because collision + liability comes to less than $100 but wouldn't give me a real value.

When I asked for what the real value was, she said it was $99.36. I asked how much if I only took collision. She said $80. Given that it didn't make much difference, I took both. When I saw the final agreement, collision came to a total of $51 and liability was around $45. It would have made a massive difference, but she totally lied to me to sell me both. I am not sure why with such lousy customer service, they believe people would come back to them. I am just going to rent from Enterprise going forward. They have always been ethical.

Original review: May 27, 2018

DON'T RENT FROM BUDGET/AVIS BUT IF YOU MUST... READ YOUR CONTRACT BEFORE YOU SIGN!!! Look for Loss Damage Waiver fees. Watch this video - it is a great example of what you are in for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSk7mm9cmZ8. I rented and prepaid for a rental car with Budget via their website in February 2018. When I picked up the car, the agent (Zach @ PHX airport) asked me if I wanted additional coverage. I said no. I was charged for the additional coverage. I called customer service 800 214 6094 and spoke to Aydee **. I explained that I never wanted the additional coverage. She said I signed for it on the contract. I said the agent (Zach) asked me and I said no. I signed what I was told to sign. Why would he have me sign for coverage when I said no. Aydee said she believed me but I signed it so I must pay it. Aydee did refund 50% of the insurance cost. This is poor customer service at best and trickery at worst.

Original review: May 26, 2018

First off the rental agent was totally customer-unfriendly, WITH attitude. When I picked up my minivan and got home to pack, I found that lowering the seats revealed tons of dirt on the bed of the minivan. It took me 20 minutes to vacuum, but I didn't phone to complain to the unfriendly sod, which, in hindsight, I should have. On returning the vehicle the same staff member took one glance inside the van and complained that he could see dog hair (my dog hardly sheds, so there was very little). He gave me the option to take it away to be cleaned (which I wasn't going to do at 17:30 and pay an extra hour's rental after having driven 300 miles). So he charged me $75.00 PLUS attitude. Amazing they never complained about the bird crap on the outside.

If you are renting for use it is to be expected that there is wear and tear and cleaning is needed on return prior to re-rent... They already charge more than enough to pay for vehicle service. It's just an excuse to increase their margin, they had two guys sitting there scratching their ** that could have vacuumed for 15 minutes besides the wash they have to do. Never again Budget... It wasn't so much the $75, it was the delight with which he stuck it in.

Original review: May 25, 2018

September of 2017, I took grandkids and two of their friends and my daughter on a cruise for the grands graduation and birthday celebration. I have also been dealing with lots of medical issues including cancer. Because I don't fly, I made reservations for a van to travel to and from Florida for transportation purposes and I also thought it would be good to see other places together. We picked up the van from Maryland, drove to Florida and I was able to see my family and their friends enjoy their first cruise experience and with me! After the cruise, we were taken back to Budget via their driver from the cruise port and was told that we couldn't rent their van that I had already reserved. They said my credit did not go through. That blew my mind because there it was Sunday, every vehicle at other places were booked and we had to be back in Maryland by Tuesday.

I gave them the confirmation number and everything but because of "their policy" they refused to rent it. I was furious because if I was approved without a problem in Maryland a week prior and nothing has changed in my credit, then why can't I rent what I have already reserved? Here it was hot in Miami and now stuck. We had to take Amtrak from Miami to Washington DC which took 2 days, borrow $1,000.00 for the train tickets, pay nearly $200.00 for a hotel for the one night and paid for transportation from hotel to Amtrak. The food on Amtrak was outrageous in cost so we couldn't afford much to eat and it was microwavable foods. Thank God I was smart enough to pack extra meds for myself. Needless to say how uncomfortable the ride was because we could stretch out to sleep.

Anyway, once we returned I contacted Budget about this and all they were willing to do was offer me $50.00 credit voucher towards my next rental that I had to use by January (4 months). I never used it because I'm still trying to recover the loss of over the thousand I had to borrow and extra money for hotel and the body pain I endured through this experience. The reason for this review is to make people aware that if you rent with Budget from one state to go to another don't assume you can rent from the other state to return. You would be better off renting "roundtrip" without having to drop off or change vehicles. Just keep the one you are approved with, park it and return it where you first got it. I would rate budget a fat 0 if they gave the option. Here I'm approved from the location of our nation's Capitol, but not in Florida (go figure). That's absurd to say the least!

Original review: May 25, 2018

I rented two 15 passenger vans from Budget Rent-A-Car in Union Station in Washington DC. When I got there they had gave away one of my vans. I had to sit and wait an hour and half before I got my rental. Then fully understanding that I would return the Vans after they closed they didn't have any instructions. I returned the vans kept the keys because I wasn't sure if someone would steal the vans if I left keys in the van. I returned the keys and then to only find out the Budget had charged my credit card over 500 even though I prepaid for the vans a month before I picked them up.

The manager said since I had all these issues they would not charge me the additional fee for insurance that I added couple of days before I picked them up. Well that was a lie. Not only did they charge me for the insurance they overcharged me. I called customer service only to have two different reps be very rude and nasty to me. I have been with Budget as a fast break member over 15 years. None of that mattered. This is ridiculous. Almost a week later I still don't have my money back.

Original review: May 23, 2018

If I could give a negative amount of stars, I totally would... Rented a car in Charlotte, NC at the airport which was only location open, when my transmission went out in my car and drove it back home to Spartanburg to return it. Was told the charge for returning to different location was an extra $70 (plus the $40 daily charge x 2). When I returned it to this Spartanburg, SC location, Kendall was checking me in, however something was wrong in their computer system and he was unable to do so. He said it was telling him "rate not available" and had to call customer service. I looked around the office while I waited and realized how "janky" this office looked completely empty, dirty and unkept so I had a feeling a bad experience was on the way...

While he was on the phone with his customer service, he received another call on his personal cell phone, and I believe it was his coworker or manager. He then HUNG UP ON his customer service agent while they were trying to tell him what to do, and unsuccessfully tried to figure it out with whoever was on his cell. It was very near their closing time and my ride from ENTERPRISE had showed up to take me to get a better and cheaper rental to use for the week. He still had not been able to check the car in. I asked him to call me, once he figured it out, BEFORE charging my card, to confirm it matched what I was told. That was Monday at 5:45 pm. It is now Wednesday morning at 9 am and I just called their office to inquire as to why I had not heard from them.

Davonte answered the phone and informed me that they got it figured out and checked it in yesterday (which was Tuesday). I told him I had asked to be informed of charges before it was processed and he said he was not told that and put me on hold to find out for me. He came back on the line only to tell me I had been charged $255!!! I was livid!!! He then tried to tell me it was because I returned it to a different location I was charged over $110 a day plus taxes which was not what I was told (only had the car from 5:30 pm Saturday to 5 pm Monday-2 days). I was told total of 40.95 a day (x2-taxes included which is what was on my contract) and extra $70 to return elsewhere so $150 total.

I immediately told him I wanted the number to corporate. I called corporate and he apparently charged me for the car an extra day at a higher rate (they couldn't close it out until Tuesday even though I turned it in on Monday) because of their own computer issue. So I was charged for keeping the car 3 days even though I only had it 2 and he just blatantly lied to me. The rep I spoke with said they will have to send the info to another dept to review and will take 3-5 business days to do so. I will NEVER rent from Budget again. This is complete BS and should NEVER happen especially when I requested to be called before they charged my card when they were having some kind of computer issue which was definitely not my fault. I am an Enterprise plus member and have only rented from them ever in life and I will ALWAYS do so from now on.

Updated on 05/29/2018: Following up on my review from 5/23/18, after a week back and forth on the phone with BUDGET and being lied to several times, the $255 I was charged remains. My credit card company tells me that Budget tried to charge an additional $172 as well but they declined the charge. BUDGET claims they did not try to charge the $172, but why would my CC company lie? They wouldn't. They never have. So after being charged $255 for 2 days in a BS Chevy Equinox (I was told the final charge would be $150 for 2 days at $40.95 a day-which was on my contract-and an extra $70 to return in a different city) they have only credited me $25. So I basically have paid $130 a day for a car that rents for $30 plus tax a day. Complete crap.

I was lied to by the rep where I rented the car and also by the rep I called and asked to confirm before I returned the car in a different city. They were supposed to call me AND email me an invoice for approval before charging anything! And the customer service rep who I dealt with to try to resolve this also told me they would email me an invoice with the corrected charges. I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE ANYTHING BY EMAIL!!! No proof of the charges they supposedly are upholding. I may just dispute with my credit card company because this is fraud at its finest. And apparently I am not alone in getting screwed over by them. Going to rate on BBB now.

Original review: May 22, 2018

My family and I were on vacation and rented from Budget. We used our air miles thinking we would only have to pay for gas. We ended up paying way more than expected and when we started talking to other people, they paid less for their rental from Budget! Then on our 2nd last day of the trip, our rental car broke down and we spent 5 hours trying to get a replacement car. When I was on the phone with their emergency roadside assistant they informed me they do not bring the replacement car to us. We would have to get it towed to a dealership then go to Budget and arrange for another car. Explained that we were on holidays, we did not have time to go through all of the proceedings that they were telling us. She informed me that this was their policy and there was nothing that they could do.

After being on the phone for over an hour with the company I asked to be transferred to a manager. After talking to the manager for about a half an hour, she told me what they were telling me in the previous phone call was not correct and that they would send a tow truck to our location to take us to the nearest budget which was 30 minutes away and give us a new rental car. They would not even take into account that this was our family vacation and they were costing us vacation time and money. After 5 hours of our vacation time lost we finally were able to get another rental and all they gave us was approx $75 USD refund. And this was after we paid hundreds to rent a "free" car from air miles. The whole experience left a bad impression and I will never deal with Budget again.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I have been renting from Budget every week this year for business purposes and each time I rent I enter in my reward number. Apparently all my rentals have been cleared from their system except one of the most recent. I have emailed this company many times and each time I get they are sorry and cannot help me. I feel this is ridiculous because I have rewards through an airline and they were able to update my past flights as long as I provided the ticket number. I will continue to fly with that company but won't continue to rent from Budget due to the fact they are not even willing to assist me with my situation. I travel every week and each time I need a car, my business will be going elsewhere!

Original review: May 19, 2018

I placed an on-line reservation for a Budget rental car at the Dublin Airport. Was never asked my age. When I arrived at the airport Budget told me I was too old to rent or drive a Budget car. Age limit was arbitrarily set at 75 (I am a Marathon runner and a healthy 83). Was told that this exception was explained under "full terms and conditions," linked but not printed on the reservation confirmation.

I was stuck in another country without a car or transportation--with my vacation and many travel plans and expenses in jeopardized--holding a worthless reservation confirmation from Budget Car Rental. This kind of negligence and age discrimination by Budget Car Rental would never be tolerated in the United States, and is unacceptable anywhere.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Set up an appt. a week in advance on a moving truck. I got an excellent price for a two day rental. They sent me a confirmation number along with the reservation. They called us hours before our pickup time and said they did not have a truck available. Customer service said they were sorry and would try to locate us another truck and would call us back in two hours. They never did. I had to call them back two times and each time said they would call us back. Never did! Don’t trust them when you move cause they will cancel on you and they don’t care. I will never recommend them to anyone. Go to U-Haul. They cost a little more but will keep their appt.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I rent a car 2-3 times a month for business trips and would rather ride a big wheel across the country, before I'd ever consider renting a car from Budget again. I was in a crunch for time and had no choice but to go to the closest rental car place... Budget. Aside from the fact that they rented us a car that didn't run... The "service" as they call it, was hands down the worst I've ever experienced. Let me save you all from an extremely lengthy story... We rented a car, car died, we got stranded (in a different state). After being transferred between roadside assistance, multiple local Budget hubs, and customer service, Budget did NOTHING to help and refused to figure out a way to help us swap for a car that ran... Ultimately, we were left stranded in another state and had to pay nearly $1000 for 2, last minute, 1-way tickets home. DO NOT, under any circumstance, rent a car Budget. THE WORST!

Original review: May 16, 2018

Milwaukee Airport - Stolen property - After an overnight drive with my belongings from Nashville to move-in with my boyfriend, we cleared out the rental and cleaned the car and turned it in the same day I got there. I was exhausted having had little sleep and completely forgot that I left some very (expensive) property in a semi-hidden storage compartment in the back of the SUV I rented.

My boyfriend and I both contacted the company, as well as the "Lost and Found" manager multiple times. She did not get back to us until days later initially, stating the car was already being rented out again and she would contact us when it came back. We received no word or updates, even after trying to call her every day. Her contact number went to voicemail 100% of the time and did not return calls like she said she would. I finally received a call from her over a week later to inform me that my belongings were not in the vehicle. Of course, they will not give info about who's handled the car or who has rented it after me so anything further requires police involvement (who could also care less about the situation).

Sure, I understand shouldn't have left my stuff in the vehicle, but her incompetence probably made the theft possible, assuming she didn't steal it herself. Now I will have to replace over a grand worth of belongings thanks to Budget's awful lost and found policy, which basically protects their employees from any legal repercussions for stealing. I will never rent from them (or Avis) again. Neither will anyone I know.

Original review: May 15, 2018

For ANY renters that have limited dollars available on your credit card, you very well may get screwed? Did you know that when you use your credit card to “Pay Now” for a Budget car, you are in for a surprise? If some reason Budget declines your transaction yet you provided your correct credit card number, you won’t get a Rental Confirmation ie... you don’t get your car rental, YET Budget posts the payment with your bank and the purchase comes off your available credit? They’ve done this to me a number of times where for example, I may only have $1000 of available credit on my card and I go to rent a car using the Pay Now feature. If the Pay Now price is $750 and I enter my CC information, Budget gives a message that CC transaction was declined. Yet I immediately checked my bank online and Budget has pulled the $750 from my CC leaving me only $250 available on there. Yet I don’t have a rental confirmation ie... NO Car.

I learned that Budget checks your CC info and If the address or zip or phone # doesn’t match exactly, If they have enough to post your payment to the bank, they do it immediately YET THEY CHOOSE TO DENY YOU the rental vehicle. When this happens, you are left with your bank & CC showing a pending payment for Budget yet Budget doesn’t give you the car AND Now you don’t have enough available credit on your card to run the transaction again after correcting whatever info was incorrect. How messed up is this? If Budget wants to decline your transaction because all of your information doesn’t match up with the bank such as your billing zip code, that would be just fine. But DO NOT DECLINE MY RENTAL YET PULL YOUR PAYMENT OFF OF MY CREDIT CARD. It is totally unethical, unfair, and an unreasonable business practice.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I'm a single mother of 6 children who chose budget to relocate my family to California. We were extremely so excited about this trip but because we were given a truck they was not inspected and actually, didn't even have a full tank of gas. The employee that gave it to us at the Avis/Budget truck rental location in Austin, Texas on Research Boulevard gave us $40 and told us to go fill it up, that should have been a better flag! I was so excited for our trip that I didn't give it much thought. Well it was giving us problems and I was broke down after losing power a few hours later putting our lives in danger as the check engine light and other lights it broke down on Highway 10. It turned out to be a disaster, nightmare and traumatic event in our lives.

We called Budget roadside service which took hours for them to arrive. It was daytime about 2 p.m. We were there broke down to 2:30 am. It was extremely cold and dark. We were so disappointed and so frustrated it was scary and it was terrible situation to be in! We had to wait the that night waiting for them to tow our truck to a hotel that cost me out of my own pocket 2 days of hotel cost for two rooms each day and food cost etc. We have to wait for Budget to provide us a new truck then they had to repack our belongings. We had to wait for all that to occur so they put everything backwards everything that we had in the front that we needed was put in the back which causes even further disappointments and inconvenience. The whole thing was an inconvenience!!

The company has not reimbursed me for one penny. They passed me from person to person. I've been trying hard I put so many hours and so much of my time trying to get them to reimburse me for what I had to pay out of my pocket and they have not extended any kindness they have been so rude so mean so insensitive every single person that I have talked to!! We rented the truck for 7 days. We had to keep the truck one extra day when we finally made it to our destination. On top of everything they charged me for an extra day!! I have more to say and if anybody wants to know just call me and I will tell you. Do not get Budget because they break your budget and they just don't care one bit. But if it was their family and it happened to them it would be different. They would expect immediate resolution!! The second truck they gave us the lights are turning onto. We barely made it. We barely made it. Thanks to God!

Original review: May 11, 2018

We prepaid for a rental for our vacation, to be picked up in the city that we LIVE in. The ONLY Budget location within 50 miles is at the airport. Our bank was immediately debited $400 and we were sent the debit card policy. We met every part of the policy (over 25, good credit, etc) but did not have a “return flight ticket” because we live, work, and own a house in Roanoke - where the vehicle is located. We get there and the CSR refused to run our card as a credit card - although every other business does so. He gave us a “Customer Service” number that would put us on hold and then sound like an agent was picking up. The phone would then disconnect. We tried for over an hour to get an actual CSR on the phone. Dude at the airport wouldn’t call his direct manager.

We finally said we wanted to make a reservation and, lo and behold, someone comes to the phone. Nice guy. Connected us to his supervisor as requested. Not so nice a guy. Didn’t want to give us to his supervisor but wanted me to call back the following day. Mind you, we are STILL waiting because we are supposed to leave for vacation in the morning. Supervisor admits that their “return ticket” requirement is so that people don’t steal their cars. I explained, again, that we live, work, and own a house here. He says “I can’t change the policy just for you”. I asked, “So, if someone flies in from Timbuktu and has a debit card and another plane ticket out of the city, they can rent a car, but if I am based in this city and have a debit card, I can’t?” “Correct”.

We tried for almost 2 hours to resolve the issue. They wouldn’t let my brother use his credit card to rent because he would have to pay extra for me to drive the car, and he would have to drive in to pick it up. They offered to rent to us from Avis (at the same counter), “but the rate will go up quite a bit”. Of course it will. We ended up leaving without a rental... and a 3-5 business day wait for a refund. Not quite sure how we are traveling for vacation at this point. They sure didn’t have a problem taking my $400 on a DEBIT CARD with the initial reservation. But unless I’m not from Roanoke, I’m SOL when it comes to getting a rental with them. Rude CSRs. Dismissive. Not helpful.

Oh - and the 2nd person behind the desk said to his cohort (after an hour and a half) “I talked with Joe and he said NO.” (Don’t rent to them). Yet I heard him specifically say to another man “I’m going to do something I’m not supposed to do” and he sent the man’s rental right on through. Completely disgusted with this company. Will NEVER use them. And will advise our large network of contacts against it as well.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Rented a car for a week from Budget at Akron-Canton Airport. When I picked up I was asked if I wanted the ‘total protection package’ with no further explanation. When I saw it TRIPLED my bill, I DID NOT sign the agreement, I asked her to take it off. I signed a contract for $305, but she went ahead and held $900 anyway. Money I needed for my vacation 1200 miles away. 1-800# customer service and email contact service was absolutely no help AT ALL. They just tell me to turn the car in where I rented it. Hard to do in Ohio from Florida. Of course the counter at CAK Airport doesn’t answer their phone. Wonder why?! I’m thinking all they get is complaints. Screwed my whole vacation up. Extremely unhappy. Do not ever rent from here!!!

Original review: May 11, 2018

We paid for a van a month in advance. We went to pick it up and was told it isn't there yet. Rick told us that it was in Kentucky about 30 miles away. We asked if we could go pick it up? He said yes. We got to Kentucky and then was told that Rick lied to us. There was no van. They gave us 2 vehicles instead of the 12 passenger van we paid for. The trip took longer. Worst vacation ever thanks to Budget. I will NEVER rent from them again and I would advise everyone not too.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Rented a Premium car. When we got to airport they had only 2 cars that I would not call a premium but a full size. Neither car had heated seats. Being myself and my domestic partner both have back issues and we had a 23 hour road trip we really needed the heated seats which now we were forced to upgrade costing us more money. The only other car they had for us to upgrade was a Chrysler 300. The car was filthy, covered with bug kill and the inside was filthy. When we addressed this with agent they said they roughly clean it and do not detail them. We took the car because we needed to get on the road... I had to pull in a wash and have the car cleaned inside and out... I felt filthy just being in the car... Will never rent from Budget and suggest other don't...

Original review: May 10, 2018

Came to return my rental 2.30 before flight and was waiting to be picked up to the terminal for 35 minutes, as time getting short was there 3 more families returning cars. No one from the staff did care about it. After this I found out they was standing on the other side smoking and drinking coffee, this is not the first time, but this time was too much. Never again.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I would give them 0 stars if I could. So I made a mistake when I booked a car regarding the dates when the car would be picked up and when it would be returned. I discovered the error after arriving at the rental location. I was told there were no cars available, and that there was nothing they could do. I had to cancel the reservation and go somewhere else because I needed a car immediately. I was charged $50 for the cancellation. The customer service agents I spoke with, and there were several, were rude, disinterested, and unwilling to help. It was a joke trying to explain the situation to them.

The agents were obviously located at a call center overseas. I travel for work, so I rent a lot of cars all over the U.S., and I've never been treated like this. One would think that doing regular business with a company would make them appreciate you. Not so! I will NEVER do business with this idiotic company again. Update - I received a response to call a different number after I posted a review. And not so surprisingly, I was directed to the same call center I had spoken with originally. What a waste of time!

Original review: May 9, 2018

After renting a Dodge Ram pickup truck from Salt Lake City International Airport for 2 days. I parked the truck on a public Street and at 1:30 in the morning a high-speed chase involved the rental truck and my personal vehicle. I woke up to a crash and police sirens in front of my house. The vehicle being chased crashed into the back end of this Rental Truck and pushed it into my personal vehicle.

A year has gone by and after my insurance has paid the claim to budget. Budget now tells me I owe them $6,900 after they have totaled the truck. They say this is diminished value. So the definition of diminished value is after a vehicle has been repaired and then sold there could be a difference in value of that vehicle. In this case Budget decided to salvage the vehicle. So diminished value does not apply. My insurance company has paid the entire claim but Budget is trying to correct this diminished value of the vehicle. Budget is trying to send me to collections for this dollar amount. I was contacted by a collection company for Budget and they asked me how I would like to take care of this matter. I guess I will see them in court.

Budget Rent-A-Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1958 to appeal to the cost-conscious consumer, Budget is one of the most popular car rental brands. It serves renters in over 120 countries from its more than 3,000 locations. Budget is owned by Avis Rental Car.

• Business-friendly rates: Business customers can save up to 30 percent on car rentals with a BudgetBusinessProgram account.

• Prepay and save: For customers who book and pay in advance, the Pay Now rate saves up to 35 percent on the cost.

• Inexpensive no-show fee: At Budget, the fee for a no-show is only $50 on a missed pickup; everything else is refunded.

• Discounts: Active duty, retired military and their families can all save up to 25 percent on rentals. AARP members can enjoy savings of up to 30 percent off Budget base rates when renting a vehicle from a participating location in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Rent a car for up to four consecutive days, including a Saturday night, and save $20.

• Fast reservations: Budget advertises a 60-second reservation process, letting travelers reserve the vehicle of their choice on the go and in just a minute.

• Truck rental: Budget features a reliable, diverse commercial truck fleet, nearly 1,900 convenient U.S. locations, daily, weekly, monthly, local and one-way rentals for business or moving.

• Best for: Military individuals and families, vacationers, business travelers, those with cars in repair and temporary workers looking for a discounted rate.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information