3.6/5 (1466 ratings)

About Budget Rent-A-Car

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Two days after returning our car I received an e-receipt with an additional charge for $160.00 that only stated "non-package items". I phoned Budget and after 15-20 minutes of an automated phone loop, I requested a call back which I received within a few minutes. I was informed that the additional charge was due to a "late return" which I relayed was completely false as my return time was for 9 PM on a Tuesday evening and I dropped the vehicle off at 7:45 PM that evening. I referred to my original rental agreement to the agent I was speaking with indicating the 9 PM return time.

The customer representative told me that their records showed that I'd returned the car the following morning which I replied was absurd as by then I'd flown back to the east coast. I also relayed that the Budget representative at Bozeman airport in Montana paid little attention to me when I approached to inform him I was returning the car. I had also wanted to show a few photos of minor nicks upon receiving the rental car. He simply told me that as long as I left the car in the designated return area of the parking garage - with the keys in it everything was good. The customer service rep I later spoke with reviewed the situation and agreed they had made a mistake with my return time and my charges were supposedly dismissed and I am now awaiting a refund. A needless exertion of time and negative energy because the car return was not properly processed.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Well my first complaint is their reservations. What exactly is a reservation? I was coming to Oahu for the entire month of August, and rented a car with GPS and prepaid for it all. When I arrived in Honolulu, not only did they NOT have my car, the ONLY one they had available had NO GPS. For a Month!!!! Budget got my money beforehand and has explicitly shown that they just DO NOT CARE about customer satisfaction. They have not even responded to my request for a new vehicle WITH GPS! NEVER again!!! Budget is worse than Avis!!! Should have trusted the reviews and gone elsewhere! Everyone should go elsewhere. Budget lies!!! Probably part of their corporate training. Screw The Customer!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

They have overcharged me multiple times and have been very rude with no customer service and every time I try to call I can never get in contact with anyone to fix any of the issues I've come in contact with. I tried renewing my rentals before with them over the phone and I can never get in contact. I have to go physically into the store every single time very single time and that's inconvenient because I don't have the time schedule to do it.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I'm a travel nurse. About every 3 months I rent a SUV to get to next contract. I used Budget and oh my. Each time my rental was COMPLETELY filthy, not full of gas despite that being a requirement upon return and had mechanical safety issues. They try to charge you for a gas fill up even though I'd literally filled it up around the corner, don't care that the car is filthy, and try to charge me for what I reported at pick up what was wrong. CS reps barely speak English and are not allowed to monetarily compensate for anything if you can get them to understand you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I prepaid $1,300 for a week long rental which seemed like a good deal until Budget added $140 in bogus fees after I returned my rental. The location I rented from (Portland OR airport) doesn't even have a contact phone number. How's that for service? I will never rent from Budget again now that I know all they do is bait and switch.

Original review: July 29, 2022

Rented a Car May 29 - June 30- 2022 at BUDGET RENT A CAR. I have pre-paid and the voucher included everything, it was an ALL IN COSTS pre-payment (insurance, second driver, local taxes and fees, etc etc etc). The rental contract I signed also mark INCLUDED in taxes. After I returned the car, BUDGET debited $144.35 for local taxes. BUDGET is not willing to return what is clearly an overcharge. I can provide copies of all the documents. How can customers be protected from this type of forced credit card debits at car rentals??

Original review: July 24, 2022

Had an appointment for picking up a car at 11:00 pm at Madison airport. Flight was slightly delayed, called to the Budget agent and she promised to wait if not too long. Was at the counter at 11:10 pm, and there was already nobody. Even though the official work hours were until 11:30 pm. Had to take a taxi and come back next day for my rental car. Moreover, at the end I was not reimbursed for the first ~12 hours that I did not use the car. Am not going to spend my time on phone with Budget trying to rescue some $20, but these guys are just ridiculous little thieves.

Original review: July 23, 2022

Please be careful renting a rental with Budget car rental. I experience the worst customer services. I book a rental for vacation and within 24 hours I cancel the reservation after doing some research I didn't need a rental at the time. So waited 10 days and notice my refund wasn't in my account, so I call them. They told me it would be another 3 to 5 days, plus they would keep $ 50.00 out of balance, now I'm pissed because not only this issue occurs but they kept 100 dollar and I didn't even get a rental. They mess up my hold vacation experience for my anniversary. I will never do business with them again.

Original review: July 21, 2022

They never told me that they take $250 deposit whether I was using a credit card or debit card. I used to work for a rental car company and the first thing we tell customers is that if they use a debit card there is a deposit of $250. Leaving out that important information was very devastating for me because I had to scramble to find enough money to pay for my hotel. I feel like Budget lies, steals and cheats!

Original review: July 21, 2022

Zero star. Absolutely worst rental company on the planet. If they make a mistake, they put the onerous on you to fix it, don't take responsibility and make you jump through hoops. No one at this company takes responsibility. Go anyplace else!

Original review: July 15, 2022

I’d like some help with a transaction in the amount of $316.85 at Budget on July 14, 2022 at 2:01 PM. I believe that this transaction was the result of a scam perpetrated by Budget, relieving me of my funds for up to 10 business days, while providing no product. Apparently there were no cars available anywhere in my area. I believe that they knowingly ran a “prepayment special” at a very low rate, for vehicle rentals that they could not fulfill. They now have my funds, and presumably, thousands of others’ funds, who were suckered by this company to prepay, sight unseen, for a non-existent rental. I can only assume the worst- that they needed the cash flow- so for the next 10 business days- wallah! They have a pile of cash to do what they wish, while paying no interest in the money or providing any service or any rental vehicles, due to their “refund policy”. What a deal.

I am still without a rental after waiting since 1:30 pm today and spending almost 5 hours on the phone with HQ trying to secure a vehicle from anywhere. This was a confirmed reservation and verified 3 times. I also made the effort to call all of their local branches in attempt to find a car. I also demanded an instant refund from Budget, to be put back on my card immediately. They said it is against policy. This action by them will be reported to the attorney general for further investigation.

Original review: July 14, 2022

Awful credit card policy. Don't get stranded at a Budget with only a debit card. Won't accept without utility bill and credit card information alone won't be accepted. Ended up walking a great distance home for nothing to walk back. Complete waste of my time. Poor business maturity here. Avoid Budget if possible.

Original review: July 14, 2022

June 13 2022 to June 25 we rented a car from Budget in Rock Hill, SC on Anderson Rd. Purpose was to drive to Tampa, FL where I was receiving treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center. Within an hour of being in the car, I broke out in a rash all over my body. When we returned the car, we explained to the manager what happened and asked for the name of the cleaning solution used. He refused. We have called Budget Customer Service, sent an email to Budget corp. office and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Budget refuses to give me the name of the cleaning product used.

Original review: July 2, 2022

Needed a car. Decided that it's going to be easier to book online straight from Budget site. I went in the morning and the type of the car which I was reserved was not available. The employee needed 20 min to understand that I need to rent a car. Then he checked the returned cars and he needed to upcharge me for it. Why they have the online reservations if they can't provide the cars.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Talk about bait and switch well here you go. Reserved an intermediate SUV and got a Subcompact crossover SUV and got charged for an intermediate SUV. This is the first time renting from Budget and this is the last time. The only reason we rented from Budget was because no one else had any cars for the dates we need it for. Have been renting from Alamo and Hertz for years and have never had this happen. Not to mention you call their customer service and they know nothing about car classes. Worst rental car company!!!!

Original review: June 29, 2022

I recently returned from a trip to Kansas. I landed in Wichita, Ks. where I had a reservation with Budget. When I received the car they noted it had some damage on the front bumper. When I went to the lot the bumper was held together with duct tape. This car was far from good enough condition to be in a rental fleet. Well needless to say, Budget, after weeks of putting me off, came back to say that I knew of the damage from the start and that the parts were on order. They also went on to say they were low on vehicles. This car was embarrassing to drive. The only reason I didn't return it right then, I had a schedule and needed to get to my destination. Needless to say, Budget's response was lame and unacceptable. I will NEVER use Budget again.

Original review: June 28, 2022

I had a car rental from Budget original price $1,200 reserved for 5 days. When I got to the counter at Salt Lake City, UT the price had increased to $1,600. I was told by the group I rented to return the minivan because it was not the original price agreed on. Took it back within 20 minutes and I was charged $213.00 for a day's rental and insurance. Talk about a rip-off and that is after they made me wait nearly 45 minutes to get the minivan.

Original review: June 27, 2022

Do not rent a car from Myrtle beach Budget car rental. I had called to reserve a car seat a month prior to our trip. First of all when we arrived at the airport the line was over an hour long to get our car. Mind you we had just been on a plane with our baby, who was now fussy and tired. So that alone was a nightmare. When I got to the counter I was told they had sold out of car seats a few days ago, even though I had a confirmation email confirming our reservation. This meant nothing apparently.

When asked to speak to someone else I was told they don’t have a manager or anyone else I can talk to. So now I am stuck at the airport with my baby and no car seat. I was told by the women that I can go to Walmart to BUY my own car seat. She proceeded to give me directions like she’s done this many times before. I was not given any compensation for the hassle this caused. I was given a 1 800 number after waiting for 45 mins, they offered me 50$. The car seat cost 100$.. So that was pointless. I will never rent for budget again.

Original review: June 27, 2022

In Denver I picked up a vehicle by the airport. I was told GPS would be $21 a day. I declined. When getting a car I was told to choose any. I was annoyed because I paid for full size. If they were going to let me choose, I could have paid for economy and gotten the same vehicle. One vehicle had a broken taillight. Another a foot long crack on the windshield. Eventually I chose a 4runner which interestingly had GPS. After I left I noticed a symbol displayed on the dashboard. The 2 front tires were over inflated to 45 and 60! So much for safety, does anyone inspect cars before renting them out?

Original review: June 25, 2022

We was called 3hrs before our reservation and they told us they didn’t have our 12 passenger van. Then they could give us 2 7 passenger suv and they would give us a price adjustment but they have yet returned my call. And I’m not happy!! Don’t tell me to do something and then them not talk to me about it. We wanted the 12 passenger van for a reason so we would have two people to switch off back and forth driving but we could do that.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I rented a car From Budget for one day after a trip. The rate was $63.47 which is fair, with $200 held for deposit to be refunded at end of rental. First problem is the amount of time deposit is returned to your credit card. It takes about a week. They can take the funds immediately, but are lax in returning them. I can see a day or two, but a whole week? Second issue which is more problematic. They initially took out $263.47, then when I returned car they charged an additional $63.47. When I called to inquire why, they said that’s their procedure, to charge $63.47 AGAIN then refund the original $263.47. Why not just refund $200 of original charge?? That’s an additional $63.47 tied up until God knows when?? With the technology we have today, why can’t they make it that simple? That’s bad business in my opinion.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I just rented a Budget rental car in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I rented this car for 7 weeks. I have now been told that I will NOT receive any Reward points for this rental because it is a franchise. So, really it's not a Budget rental agency! Technically they sold their name only, just to fool the customer into renting what you would think is a budget rental. That's like Mcdonald's selling DOG MEAT BURGERS instead of Beef in every other place except the US. Renter Beware.

Original review: June 17, 2022

Customer service is horrible. They ”blocked” me out of my business discount causing my rate to double and have spent days and hours on the phone with them. Two BBB complaints and the “executive” was just a floor level customer service without any authority to assist with anything. I’m going to start billing these companies for wasting my time and when they don’t pay it it’s going to collections. I’m sick to death of banks, Comcast and many other companies poor customer service.

If they weren’t so greedy they’d be willing to solve people's problems instead of instructing their employees to lie to us, transfer us in circles and be as unhelpful as is humanly possible. Never again and I will keep calling until they give me my money back and then I’m going to file consumer complaints with local government offices.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I prepaid for a rental and had to give a credit card at the counter in case of incidentals. I was told I would only be charged the incidentals due to prepaying. I return my car and think everything is fine. 2.5 weeks later I see both cards were charged the same amount for the same rental. I call and was told they could only find the charge to my prepay card and not the other card. They tell me to send in proof both cards were charged and they will fix it. I sent an email stating how I would like the credit card reimbursed not the debit card. 1.5 weeks later I see my debit card was reimbursed not my credit card.

I wrote an email asking why I wasn't contacted or notified of the resolution which was wrong. I called to talk to someone who couldn't answer my questions nor give me insight into what was needed and they would just send it to the proper department and I should hear back in 48hrs. I asked if they would actually reply via email, she said no, I would have to call back. I asked to speak to a manager. They couldn't do anything except transfer to my card as if the prepay was never done. BECAUSE the manager said the card at the counter overrides the prepay.

WHY did not a single person in customer service know this? Why couldn't they find the payment on the credit card when I initially called and only find the charge to my debit card? This all is very weird and fishy. I wouldn't rent from them because after this because their system is jacked up and they don't train any of their customer service agents.

Original review: June 14, 2022

This rental was supposed to be ready for fast pick-up, all information was provided, including driver, license, insurance, contact information, etc. However at the San Francisco Airport there was no Budget attendant, no contact waiting, at best a the lower level there was an Avis Desk, with a line that took an hour wait and when we arrived we were told that we had to go upstairs for help with our rental, the line on the 2nd level was even longer. After finally completing the rental process we were directed to space F35 for our vehicle. There was no space with this designation. We found an attendant and she determined that the Toyota Prius assigned to us did not exist, plate number **, car number **. After searching the lot, and then her computer, she was able to find us another vehicle. This process took over two (2) hours.

Original review: June 7, 2022

This was an awful experience. If zero stars were possible, the people working at this Budget would more than deserve it. My boyfriend rented a car from them that had a slow leak in the right front tire. He had something urgent to deal with work the next day, so he borrowed my car and asked me to return the rental. He tried calling this office when they opened to make sure it was ok for someone else to bring the car back. He was all set to send them a copy of my driver's license and insurance card but no one answered. He called the customer service department instead where he spoke to someone who told him “no problem” and seemed very understanding of the extenuating circumstances.

When I went to return the car, an employee checked out the car, confirmed the tire was low and observed that there was no obvious damage to it. The manager, Reggie **, came out and told me “I don’t know what you all did but it wasn’t like that when it left the lot.” He went on to tell me “I don’t know you” and that there were no circumstances under which I was allowed to drive the car. They also said they’d been taking calls since 8 am and didn’t receive any of our calls. Ultimately, they accused us of damaging the tire, sneaking an extra driver on the rental agreement, and lying about calling. After arguing about this with the manager he told me he didn’t like my attitude and he didn’t have a car for me.

I was standing outside of their shop ordering an Uber to my job in Petersburg and canceling patients for the day when he asked me to come in and agreed to give me a rental car because he was “trying to help [me] out”. Maybe the car did pick up a nail or something. Maybe there are no circumstances under which another driver can bring a rental car back. I can understand that. I can’t understand accusing someone of what amounts to destruction of property and theft before refusing them service. I highly recommend going to another Budget. Or an entirely different company. These people also own the Avis that’s attached to it.

Original review: June 5, 2022

We reserved a large passenger van for our group of 8 while we went to Disney World and the beach. We booked it and prepaid everything ($1400) four months before our trip. We show up at the Orlando airport at 9:30pm just to be told they didn’t have any passenger vans. They said we could have a Kia Carnival (which holds 7 people, but we had 8 plus luggage). They told my husband he could go out to the lot to see if the Kia would work for us. As he walked through the lot he saw three passenger vans like what we were needing. He came back and told the worker and he ended up giving us one of those three vans. It took nearly 1.5 hours before we were able to leave (almost 11pm, with a 4 year old and 6 year old) when it should have been a quick transaction.

Original review: June 4, 2022

I returned a car to Budget Rent A Car on 5/30/22 at 12PM. I realized at the airport that I had left my debit card in the car. I called them approximately 1PM and filed a report. Today is 6/4/22. I have not received my card back, an email or a phone call. So I went online to check on my item and it was not listed. I created another lost ticket and then called them. I was on hold 49 minutes and then was disconnected. I called back and pushed 1 for a call back and still nothing. Steer clear of Budget.

Original review: June 2, 2022

We rented a car on 20th of April on Dallas Fort Worth airport. We stayed at the hotel in Richardson, where someone stole a catalytic converter from the car on 24th April. We got the replacement vehicle the day after and we had to go to the airport to pick it up. During handover we were told that we won't need to cover the expenses for damage, as it was a criminal activity and there was a police report created that day. But end of May comes and Budget charges my credit card with more than 1500 USD for the damage! No prior notification, no discussion , nothing. Just taking money without any discussion. Their customer support keeps on sending generic emails in responses to my questions. I believe the only option to protect my consumer rights is to go with attorney. NEVER AGAIN WITH THIS RENTAL AGENCY!!!

Original review: June 1, 2022

Aiden, the Supervisor at the Flagstaff AZ Pulliam Airport was extremely rude and unprofessional. The people working the Budget/Avis counter had on wrinkled t-shirts and it looked like a college frat was running the counter. My family and I landed in Pulliam airport late (May 27 2022) and no one was at the Budget counter past 4pm. Luckily the Enterprise counter was open and we were able to get a car from them. I called the next day and talked to Aiden, who informed me, that the SUV I reserved (months in advance/Rental Agreement #**) was no longer available. (POLICY IS TO HOLD CAR FOR 24 HOURS!) He said it was my fault because I didn't arrive on time yesterday.

I said this is not acceptable and asked if he understood what customer service meant, and his reply was "do you understand what running a business meant?". I told him I would complain to HQ and his response was "Go for it.". He then said all he has was a mid-sized sedan, and it would take 30min to clean and prep it. I said we have to drive 70 miles back to the airport to get the 4 door sedan (and drop off the small 2 door car we got from enterprise because my 2 boys are too big for the enterprise car) and I asked him if he could prep it in advance so we could save time, and he said he would. When we arrived, we had to wait 30 min for the car, because he didn't prep it in advance. When we received the car, it was filthy, windows were covered in bugs and smudges. Needless to say I will be writing extremely poor remarks on Trip Advisor, Google, Yelp as well as writing to Consumer Affairs and the BBB and AZ Department of Tourism.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information