Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.11/5

1898 Budget Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 8, 2019

Buyer beware of this company. Make sure you read your rental agreement. If you rent from them for a week say at 24 dollars a day and you return the car early. They have a right per the agreement to charge you more money as they did me. So I had 24.00 per day and they brought it up to 44.00 per day. They are a sneaky company and if you do not look at the agreement you will be charged. The rental person does not tell you up front about this either. As I said anyone reading this BUYER BEWARE. Make sure to look at all car companies. They will never get my business again.

Original review: July 8, 2019

We rented a car in Houston and returned the car in the early hours after refilling at an airport Garage, however there were no staff to receive the car. After returning home, we have now been charged an extra 107 dollars for 'Roadside assistance' after I specifically requested not to have it and for 'refueling the car.' As there were no staff I could not have contested these charges and now find they have taken the money. I travel to the USA frequently and have never had any of these charges from other companies. Use them at your own risk!

Original review: July 7, 2019

This is not related to the car but related to the customer services at the Denver airport. I would not recommend Budget for a friend nor will I use the service again. At least at the Denver airport. The CS person gave me a Chevy Tahoe and told me that it was a better car than the one I reserved. When I explained to him that I reserved a premium SUV and showed him the price difference on my app, he still insisted I was wrong. Then he told me to go into the parking lot and see if I can find a car for myself. It was raining, but I did this since it was late and I didn't want to argue with him.

I spent 30 min in the parking lot trying to find a car. The CS person was rude and when I talked to the manager he wasn't very helpful but asked me "did you find the car you want." I am not sure why I had to go find the car I reserved and already paid for. I spent 1.5 hours at the location and by the time I got out the lot, it was past midnight and my kids were so tired. We really had a bad experience. Please make sure no other customer has to go through this. Thank you, Deep **.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I have never in my entire life been treated with that much disrespect because I choose not to have a credit card. This location needs to clean house. Its customer service experience was horrible and very unprofessional to say the least. I recommend avoiding this location at all cost.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I prepaid for a car so no hassle at car return to airport. Wrong! I was overcharged $52.95 for fuel surcharge when I provided him with gas receipt to prove I filled tank. I called customer service and they said to send receipt to them. First of all I could send any gas receipt to them it doesn't prove anything and I said I left it with rental car. Be prepared to be guilty and prove yourself innocent because they will not call the local office to see if car in fact had gas in it. Bad Business. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have been renting vehicles for over 40 years and have never had such poor & fraudulent service as I received from Budget Rental Car. Have NEVER purchase additional coverage for any vehicle I have rented and I verbally stated that at the counter with the Budget agent. Yet when directed where to initial all of those lines the agent obviously directed me to initial additional coverage to the tune of over $400! I did not realize this till I returned the car and was shocked to see the charge. I have written to the corporate offices and they refuse to reimburse the money.

Now if this was just me I would not use the word FRAUD but reading other reviews others have had the same experience - therefore it appears this is a deceptive practice this company uses. I am appalled and furious. It gets 1 star only because I had to give to post this review. Plus the service was sub-par as I was supposed to inspect the car myself with no one there to report any problems. ENTERPRISE Rental it is from now on for me and I hope many others as well.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Budget Car Rental can go fall off the face of the earth. Two different prices, one for "pay now" and another for "pay when you pick up". SO, I do the latter, since I'm not sure which card I actually feel like using at time of rental. Do the online reservation and enter my card info to "hold" the car. Lo & behold, it appears on my Amex statement five minutes later. So I make another reservation, and do the "pay now" thing, since as long as they're gonna charge my card, I might as well save the couple bucks.

So I call to cancel the first reservation, and explain what happened to the guy, who tells me there's a $50 cancellation fee. SCREW YOU. YOU'RE the idiots who charged my card at the higher rate to begin with. So now, I'm a prisoner to Budget, because even if I told them off, I'm doing business elsewhere, it'll cost me 100 bucks in cancellation fees. After all this BS, that stinking car BETTER be sitting there waiting for me when I show up. I didn't even start my trip yet, and I'm already fed up, I just wanna get this over with so I can write them out of my life.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I sent a young employee to Indianapolis for training and booked his travel online which included a Budget rental car. I had declined all the extra insurance charges on the booking since we are covered by our company policy. I charged the entire trip to my company credit card. When my employee arrived to pick up the car the counter person told him that Budget couldn't use my credit card and he would have to use his personal card instead for the car rental. He then continued to sell this young man multiple unnecessary insurance policies which he insisted that he needed. An economy car rental for 3 days went from the original cost of $144 to a final bill of $498.

I am very disappointed in Budget for taking advantage of a young man renting a car for the first time. By the way I booked travel for my employees often and have never had a rental car company refuse to accept my card or an online reservation where all the appropriate boxes had already been checked. I do not plan on ever using Budget again.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Horrible experience. My family and I flew from Denver to Milwaukee and attempted to reserve two child seats. We used the Frontier booking bundle and there was nowhere to reserve child seats in the booking. When we spoke to the representative at the booking they assured us to contact Budget after the booking was confirmed and they would have child seats available for us. I immediately got off the phone with Frontier and called Budget and 15 phone calls later I finally spoke to a Budget representative in Milwaukee who assured me that the seats would be guaranteed at pickup. When we arrived to Milwaukee we requested the car seats and all they had was infant seats.

A day later after voicing my concerns about having the correct seats at the rental pickup they told me the infant seats was all that was available for our rental. They charged us an additional $200 for the car seats despite not having the correct seats and referred us to Frontier. After another 5 phone calls to Frontier on the booking they finally referred me back to Budget that was still unable to tell me why there was $200 additional charges for the wrong product.

The experience was extremely frustrating and little was done from Frontier or Budget to give me the correct information or services to meet the basic needs of the trip. I would highly recommend not booking car rentals through Frontier and additionally recommend that Budget not be used in any capacity. Both expressed very poor customer service and the ability to understand the agents was challenging to say the least. These organizations that prey on consumers should feel ashamed of themselves and further express no regard for fixing issues they deliberately incite on themselves. Consumer be aware. Expect unaccounted charges for the poor services and the wrong products.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Due to the staff's error (which we had evidence to contradict), we were additionally charged. Told they wouldn't do anything about it. Called customer service, who attacked me as a person. When asking to speak to a supervisor, was told they'd call me back within 48 hours. Four days have passed and nothing. Don't trust them. Such a hassle, and they honestly couldn't care less.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information