Budget Rent-A-Car

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

Overall Rating1.4 out of 5

About Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

ConsumerAffairs has collected 2,601 reviews and 3,303 ratings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Reviewed Sept. 16, 2023

After a very long flight into IND I had to wait almost 2 hours, along with 50 other people, to check in for my reservation with just one person at the counter.

Time is priceless but my time seems to be within their "Budget". Like Sam Walton said: "And now you must be thinking that I’m just a nice, calm, relaxed, quiet, patient kind of person. But you are wrong! You know who I am? I’m the customer who will never come back".

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2023

Automated states 7-10 business days for a refund. I called and now the customer service representative states up to 14 business days. I have called 4 times, been hung up on twice. A refund of charges should not take more than 24-48 hours period. They are a garbage company and I will never make this mistake again.

Reviewed Sept. 14, 2023

After a smooth 3 hr flight into Seatac I had to wait an hour and a half, along with 150 other people, to check in for my Budget car rental reservation, even when pre-checked in with DL, and cc, etc. Whaaat?!

Reviewed Sept. 7, 2023

Basically the title says it all. Because the car was prepaid through a credit card, I was told they couldn't give me a refund for the two days I didn't use the car. I tried through both the credit card company and directly with them. I'll never rent a car through them again...

Reviewed Sept. 6, 2023

I inadvertently booked the wrong date for a vehicle they were going to charge me $73 per day for. When I went to change the date they gave me the option of renting a car for almost $300 more per day or canceling the rental and incurring a penalty of $150. Needless to say I did not pick either option. I simply didn't pick it up.

Reviewed Sept. 3, 2023

Land at the airport around 6-6:30pm, reservation was at 7 for a vehicle at Budget. The lady at the front desk name MIRA was very rude and nasty, didn’t want to help us at all and at that I had my 8 year old son with me and she didn’t want to take our Navy Federal debit card. She’s very unprofessional and shouldn’t be working around customers. I’m so grateful for a couple to take my family to Brooklyn because we were stranded. I highly do Not recommend this budget location and if MIRA WORKING FRONT DESK GOOD LUCK

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Sept. 1, 2023

We rented a 12 seater van.. Upon getting the car there is 4 cracks in the windshield they can even identify where is it? After returning it they said it already 6.,, Then after 3 days they are saying there another crack which is unrepairable, cause them to change the whole windshield and billed us, what a scam, they don't return your call to talk to them. I called their office 5 times Carolyn and Jim and they don't care.. They are busy scamming people, I hope this message will direct to their management how unprofessional their service..

Reviewed Aug. 31, 2023

Went in to pick up our rental van yesterday, they fail to say, "Oh here's a $250 charge we put on hold." Whatever. Easy to overcome this, but then we put if off till morning to make sure things cleared up. Now 'cause their systems crashed and screwed everything up we are out a rental due to their crappy systems, ruined all weekend plans for going out of state for a funeral, won't ever recommend them to anyone or go back to them again. Their customer service representative was even saying, "Why not go to Enterprise or somewhere else for a rental," well first off idiot your trash systems tied up all the money on cards so that's 48 hours plus for waiting for it to be returned. So run that past me again next time in English and be educated about it.

Customer ServiceCoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2023

If there is negative stars I would have given negative 10 stars, I booked my car with American Express Travel and Amex offered me premium car rental insurance for $25 with zero deductible for the coverage of $100k. I asked Amex if this insurance will be honored by the Rental company, and they told me that yes this insurance works worldwide with no questions and they provided me the letter of coverage for rental company. I used Amex travel service to book rental. I arrived in Cancun at 10 pm and took a budget shuttle to pick up the vehicle and at Budget’s rental pickup there was no greeting instead greeted by what you want. I gave them my booking number and they pulled the booking and they insisted me to buy their Insurance for $261 extra. I showed them the Amex Insurance and told them that I already have more coverage then you guys are offering.

Their tone changed and now they started talking in Spanish instead of English and became very rude. The girl who was doing paperwork just kept saying things that I would never understand but I can hear the rude tone. She told me to pay $63 extra on top of rental price that I have already paid to Amex and $2200 deposit for not having the insurance because according to her that this is not a insurance. I asked for manager but they all started making fun of me and saying slurs in Spanish and laughing. She gave me the paperwork in Spanish with no English translation and asked me to sign at many places to accept everything written in Spanish.

I refused to sign without reading or understanding about what I am getting agreed to. I asked that this is a airport facility and tourists come here from all over the world and lots of them don’t understand Spanish then how they deal with them, manager said they just sign and go it’s just you who is questioning, he got mad with that question he said you are in Mexico and threatened me that if I want a rental just sign where he says or he will cancel the booking and will not give me rental car. It was almost midnight and I didn’t have any other option to just sign and take the car.

He gave me the worst car he had, I made the videos of car so they don’t blame me for damages later, I returned the car as it is but I will never use Budget car rental in my life ever again, I felt humiliated, I travel a lot and always rent cars but this was the lifetime experience and my worst nightmare of renting car, they still have my $2200 USD have not seen the refund yet, if I have bought their insurance then deposit was just $200, what a scam!

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2023

Terrible company. They lie and advertise benefits, specifically Amazon benefits and gift cards they will NEVER release to you! An absolute scam! I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau to no avail. I will never use this thieving scamming company again and I hope no one else does either.

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2023

First I reserved a Chevy Traverse. I got a Kia Telluride. I needed the space. They didn't even have that car. The car was filthy. I had to have it cleaned. I reserved for 4 days. They charged me for 5. From $529. to $834. I called 4 times. Each time said they corrected. Never did. First time renting from them, and the last. Don't Rent, they are THIEVES!!! Will also file with the BBB.

Reviewed Aug. 27, 2023

Be prepared for lot of charges to at least 20% of the initially agreed amount. No transparency in the billing. I took a big hit this time despite very high summer rental prices. I was charged 1000$ for a 795$ initial agreed price.

Reviewed Aug. 27, 2023

Extremely unethical company! WHY are they not shut down! Staff REFUSED to rent us a car because my husband was going to drive, and we wanted to use my credit card. They would not allow that and NOWHERE on their site does it say the driver and card must match! Then these thieves charged me a $50.00 cancellation fee! Staff is RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL!!!

Reviewed Aug. 27, 2023

Prepaid 256.00 for 3 days at Chicago Airport. Final bill came to 649 bucks. Turns out no mention of it being a downpayment. Est was for two days when reservation says 3. Not a truthful company. Will never rent a car again. This was my first time and I am 72.

Reviewed Aug. 25, 2023

I was lied to, misled, taken advantage of, forced to sign without the chance to read why I signed. When I asked what I was being charged for, I was told a deposit, a deposit that was to be refunded, it never was and they refuse to hear me. They say the charges are valid. Who would ever agree to pay over $600 for a compact car 4-day rental!?

Reviewed Aug. 24, 2023

Received parking ticket due to not knowing about the clock on our windshield. At checkout, we were told by an employee there is always a flyer hanging in the car explaining the clock which was not there.

Reviewed Aug. 23, 2023

I have a very bad experience from the beginning to the end. It almost 2 month and I still haven’t received my refund back. I called more than 10 days and every time they tell me my refund is approved and I will get a soon. They did not give my security deposit back as well. The staff at the counter are extremely unprofessional. I will not go there ever again. I regret every min because I reserve a rental vehicle from them.

Reviewed Aug. 22, 2023

Picked up a car from your location at the Aguadilla airport. The car was filthy. Shortly after the car had a service engine light on and would not drive past 30 miles an hour. I called roadside assistance and they asked that I return the car. I took the car back to the pick up location once there the front desk agent said that they had no cars available, that 2 cars would be returned at 10 pm but were both in an accident. If they were drivable I could take one of those or I could drive the car I had down to the mechanic and they would fix it. I am on vacation and I shouldn’t have to drive my rental to the mechanic. It is impossible to reach any management in through their customer service department. If you request a manager they will simply hang up on you.

Reviewed Aug. 22, 2023

Received a letter stating that our rental car returned on August 10 needed $450 worth of cleaning. There was no documentation attached to substantiate the charges for the cleaning of "spills & stains." Moreover , the demand needed to be paid in "20 days or the card used for the rental would be charged." What is VERY interesting is, when I called to protest the charge and request documentation, I was immediately sent an email stating that I would not be charged. This whole thing seems a bit fishy to me. How many folks fall for this trick and we KNOW we did not spill a drop in the car.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Aug. 21, 2023

First off, there were not enough cars nor staff at the Ronald Reagan Airport site. There were approximately 60 people waiting and only 20 cars in the lot. The office was also very small and so we had to wait outside in the sun in 94° heat. Second, I placed, and therefore paid, for this rental several months in advance. Then my flight got changed and I needed to pick up my car 2 hours earlier. I chatted online with an associate and was told I would not be charged extra for it. Two days after I returned the vehicle I discovered an extra charge for $42.40 on my credit card. I called and had this disputed.

Then yesterday, I received a letter stating that they were going to charge me $450 for some sand that was in the trunk of the car. All told there was probably two tablespoons of sand in the back. I was at the beach! I was told that since I did not purchase the loss damage waiver I was out of luck and would have to pay this $450! I asked to see pictures but they refused. I will never ever rent from Budget again! And be sure to watch your credit card statements for extra charges they will put on there!!

Reviewed Aug. 21, 2023

There is not enough staff working especially during times they are aware flights are arriving. This results in long wait times, long lines and unhappy customers; also they seem overwhelmed in the area of servicing their own vehicles; twice I have received vehicles that are low on vehicle fluids (i.e. windshield washer fluid; instrument panel warnings that include low headlight and low tire pressure), and even an invalid inspection sticker with an earlier rental. Corporate needs to invest in more staff in order to keep up with services.

Price

Reviewed Aug. 20, 2023

Beware of this wicked business - A lot of hidden fees and overcharges they never told you earlier: When they post online a total of $86 for two days, they'll ultimately charge you at $148.52! Stay away from it.

Contract & TermsPrice

Reviewed Aug. 20, 2023

I paid for an SUV 2 weeks in advance. Once I got to the airport, I waited in line for 4 hours just for them to tell me they didn't have a car available in the size I paid for. When asked about a reduced price since we weren't getting the car we paid for, they told us that they couldn't make changes to our contract as it was pre-paid. The "solution" was that we didn't have to return the car with a full tank of gas. I was told at the reservation desk that this would be noted on my contract. However, they couldn't even hold up that end of the deal.

Reviewed Aug. 19, 2023

I recently decided to rent a car from Budget, and to say the least it was not a good experience starting off with when we first got the car there was a nail in it, and the car looked like it hadn’t been clean from the last person who used it. I am a mother of two children and I had to wait in a parking lot for over three hours, trying to get a tow truck to come and tow. The car. Customer service and roadside assistance was no help and whatever tow truck company they use was also no help and it was just a loop of circles. Customer service was rude and disrespectful. Would not recommend at all to anyone who’s planning on renting a car.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Aug. 18, 2023

I had the worst experience with Budget Rental car's customer service onsite at their LAX location and on the phone with the customer service department. They tried to charge me extra things and when I wanted to reverse the charges that were unnecessary, they made it super difficult and placed hurdles to not give the money back. After I returned the car after a week of rental, they sent me a letter saying that I left the car dirty so they will charge me a cleaning fee. I have never ever had to deal with such a thing and the car was not spotless but it wasn't excessively dirty so they can charge me an extra $125 a month after I returned the car and paid my full payment! I will never rent a car with them again!

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Aug. 18, 2023

Do not rent from that garage, Kiara, the manager, and everyone in there do not know what they are doing. They are not knowledgeable. They only give you half of the information that you need. Do not let people know. They are not from Washington DC. The rules and regulations of the parking garage. When you get the car they overcharge you when they close their office early And there are no night drop offs. The garage close at 6 PM. There’s no key drop off. Do not go there. Very unprofessional.

Contract & TermsPriceStaff

Reviewed Aug. 16, 2023

First they gave me a car with a low battery on the key fob so I had to buy my own. It was only $9 but its the principle more than the price. They quoted me $150 but charged me $367.16 and gave me a dirty car. I could go on as I've had 2 rentals in a week with them but I don't really want to waste any more time with this. I've spoken to 5 agents today none of which could explain to me the charges. They read what was on the agreement but couldn't explain why I was charged over $300 each time on my rentals. Never again. Alamo is way better. At least they charge what they say they're going to.

Customer ServiceCoveragePrice

Reviewed Aug. 16, 2023

Very bad experience. I prepaid a rental car with Budget.com months before my trip overseas. Upon arrival at the airport location I was told I had to purchase liability insurance or pay to install a GPS plus pay a couple thousand dollar deposit. I argued my rental was covered with AMEX coverage however they would not recognize this and said I had to pay extra for coverage which totaled more than the original rental car. I had no choice but to pay since we were there, we didn't have any other transportation. It is super upsetting to get hidden costs instead of just being upfront upon reservation and payment online. Customer service would not acknowledge this was wrong they maintained it was legit charges. It is very poor business practice to charge hidden fees or last minute add on. Never using Budget again.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2023

Was forced to wait over 2 hours for a rental I had pre-checked in for to avoid delays. I was among a group of 20+ people. Some of these individuals had been waiting much longer. Rude employees. Don’t rent from them.

Reviewed Aug. 11, 2023

We rented a car online for $131 ($46 daily for two days). When we arrived, we decided to add on the extra charge to return the car without gas. They made a new contract, for around $178. and said they would refund money from the first. We called, we texted, we uploaded our receipts to their customer service, waited 4-6 weeks. They refunded us $20. We opened a dispute with our credit card company but when Budget didn't respond, the credit card company dismissed it. Then what happened? We filed with the Better Business Bureau, and loaded up our receipts. But they don't they read the receipts they said we owed and paid $300 for two days of rental.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information