Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.93/5

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I rented a vehicle from Budget in Salt Lake City. They charged me for a loss damage waiver fee ($40.99/day) without my consent. I called their customer service multiple times and never got a person or received a call back when I left a voicemail. I was later sent a notice in the mail that I would also be charged $33.28 in refueling charges, despite the fact that I filled the vehicle upright before returning and provided a receipt. Do not rent from this company, they are deceptive and will take your money.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I don't trust any of our rental car companies, but when you need a car, you need a car. I chose Budget because it appeared to be the lowest price up front. I made my reservation for the smallest possible car (economy), weeks in advance. When I arrived, first I waited about 40 minutes in line just to check in. When I finally got to the counter, it took about 10 minutes to do the paperwork and then I was told to go outside and I'd find my car. My paper said "Kia Soul," and unfortunately I'm not very familiar with various car models so I didn't question it and I went outside. The car was way too big for me, and I discovered they had gotten me with the old "free upgrade" trick (even though they didn't mention it when I was checking in).

If you're not familiar, a "free upgrade" means they don't have the car you asked for, so they give you the next size up. I totally hate this because I have trouble driving larger vehicles, and the gas mileage is worse so you just pay more for fuel. I had to go back in and work to get the attention of a few employees because the line was still incredibly long. I worked with 4 different employees as I was trying to get the smaller car I had made my reservation for. All of them — ALL of them! — tried to argue with me and convince me that I'd be fine with the bigger car. They were rude the entire time, cutting me off mid-sentence and trying to talk me out of wanting the smaller car. I eventually got a slightly smaller car (though still not the size I had reserved).

In total, I was in the office 2 hours and 30 minutes just to get the car I had reserved. But that's not all. After I had completed my rental, I got hit with this toll fee on my credit card for $25, which seemed incredibly high. I had to call, then go online, to locate my toll receipt (it was not sent to me automatically), on which there was an exorbitant daily fee for using the toll service. My actual tolls totaled $9; the other $16 were just fees! This was never explained to me or provided in writing of any kind. I absolutely would not rent with Budget again. The cheapest option is not necessarily the best option.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Never Again! The first time I rent a car, I prepaid for the car already but when I picked up, they told me the car that I prepaid was not available so they change me another car but one month after I returned the car, I WAS CHARGED because the car that they exchanged for me has the XMR radio?? Moreover, I refill full the fuel before I returned but I still WAS CHARGED about $40 for fuel. I asked them but they ask me for the receipt? How can I keep a receipt for the fuel after one month of my vacation?

The second time I rent a car on July 21, 2019. When I picked car, the windshield was broken before, I let the men work there know and he agreed with me that the windshield was broken before but he didn't give me any letter to confirm about the windshield. Therefore, I had the experience from the first time, I took the picture include the time I picked up with the windshield and just keep it on my phone. 3 months later, I got a letter asking me to pay $200 for the windshield broken. I called the customer service, they asked me to send the picture that I took to the email "budgetdocuments@asvisbudget.com" and they would contact me after they take a look at my case. However, one week later after I sent an email, I WAS CHARGED $200 without any contact. I called them again and they told me that they will take a look and contact me later??

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

On August 14th of this year I made a prepaid reservation with Budget Rent A Car for an upcoming trip to Los Angeles. The cost of the rental was $185, it was prepaid on 8-14-19. I picked up the rental car on the morning of Friday August 30th, at that time the clerk I spoke with indicated that he had a better deal for me with a different car than the Volkswagen Jetta that I had reserved. He stated to me that he could give me the car for only $20 per day. To the best of my recollection this was a small Ford SUV. Given the fact I didn't plan to do much driving other than from the Airport to the Hotel and back I was not overly concerned with what kind of car I was driving. This seemed like a good deal to me and a chance to save some money. On Monday Sept 2, I returned the car to Budget with a full tank of gas. I refueled the car at a Chevron Station on my way to the airport.

Upon arriving home I discovered that Budget had charged my card an additional $120.56 for what they called an upgrade. Three days later on 9-5 they posted an additional unauthorized charge for fuel. They denied the fact that I had refueled the car and brought it back to them with a full tank. I challenged. This was a blatant attempt to rip me off. In the future I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Like Jerry Seinfeld said "You know how to take a reservation! You just do not know how to hold a reservation." At least 30 people had reservations but BUDGET DID NOT HAVE ANY CARS FOR THEM!! There was total confusion among the Budget team! Some said they had cars while other said they did not!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I recently went on vacation with my wife to Hawaii and rented a Jeep. Everything was great with the vehicle. We had no problems with it. Iit wasn't damaged when we picked it up and we only drove it on paved roads. Had no problem returning the vehicle. All of the customer service up until that point was excellent. There was no damage noted on the vehicle when we dropped it back off to Budget, because there was no damage that we were aware of while we were in possession of the vehicle.

A month and a half later...I get a letter from Budget stating that there was damage to the vehicle while we rented it and that they were charging our credit card over $1000 for the repair. What!? I didn't opt to get their insurance when I rented the vehicle as I have good insurance already. However, they are stating that we damaged their vehicle with no proof and with no consideration. They just notified us that we would be charged. I disputed this charge immediately and have yet to hear back. DO NOT USE BUDGET!!! They tried to rip me off for over $1000!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Received a toll fine via my credit car about a month after returning to the UK. I had had no notification from budget and there was a ridiculous admin fee on there. I queried it with budget as I have a sunpass transponder due to travelling to the states after. After numerous emails I finally got the alleged violation with apparently happened somewhere near Cocoa Beach.

1stly I said to leave Orlando on that holiday and 2ndly and more importantly the violation occurred on the 11th June at 5.58 pm. My car was checked into Orlando airport at 6.08 pm on the 11th as I flew out that night!!!! Bearing in mind the lady did not check the car till we had unloaded which was approximately 7 minutes after we parked. I entered Orlando car return at about 5.58 so how is this possible??? Ironically they also sent the rental agreement showing the car being checked in!!!! Is this a scam to get additional funds out of returning tourists. I hope the $20 was worth scamming me for budget as me and my family will not use you again.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Yes, I did read cancellation policy. I was shocked when I had to cancel within a couple of days for a rental 6 months in the future and there was no wiggle room. It cost $50 to cancel $54 reservation!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Budget /Avis rental car (apparently same company) royally ** us over. Extremely long wait, broken equipment, staff verging on disabordinate, intentionally misleading aka lied to our faces, and damn near refused to make it right. NEVER AGAIN will I use BUDGET/AVIS.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

No longer a quality service orientated company. Save yourself some dough and rent from a discounter, same hassles but less money. Budget was once a leader in customer service. Now they have so much business they apparently don't need mine anymore. Bye bye Budget. Oh and by the way the Kia I just had with 20000 miles on it was in worse shape than my last rent a dent.

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information