3.5/5 (1467 ratings)

About Budget Rent-A-Car

Budget Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Rent-A-Car?

Original review: July 2, 2022

Needed a car. Decided that it's going to be easier to book online straight from Budget site. I went in the morning and the type of the car which I was reserved was not available. The employee needed 20 min to understand that I need to rent a car. Then he checked the returned cars and he needed to upcharge me for it. Why they have the online reservations if they can't provide the cars.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Talk about bait and switch well here you go. Reserved an intermediate SUV and got a Subcompact crossover SUV and got charged for an intermediate SUV. This is the first time renting from Budget and this is the last time. The only reason we rented from Budget was because no one else had any cars for the dates we need it for. Have been renting from Alamo and Hertz for years and have never had this happen. Not to mention you call their customer service and they know nothing about car classes. Worst rental car company!!!!

Original review: June 29, 2022

I recently returned from a trip to Kansas. I landed in Wichita, Ks. where I had a reservation with Budget. When I received the car they noted it had some damage on the front bumper. When I went to the lot the bumper was held together with duct tape. This car was far from good enough condition to be in a rental fleet. Well needless to say, Budget, after weeks of putting me off, came back to say that I knew of the damage from the start and that the parts were on order. They also went on to say they were low on vehicles. This car was embarrassing to drive. The only reason I didn't return it right then, I had a schedule and needed to get to my destination. Needless to say, Budget's response was lame and unacceptable. I will NEVER use Budget again.

Original review: June 28, 2022

I had a car rental from Budget original price $1,200 reserved for 5 days. When I got to the counter at Salt Lake City, UT the price had increased to $1,600. I was told by the group I rented to return the minivan because it was not the original price agreed on. Took it back within 20 minutes and I was charged $213.00 for a day's rental and insurance. Talk about a rip-off and that is after they made me wait nearly 45 minutes to get the minivan.

Original review: June 27, 2022

Do not rent a car from Myrtle beach Budget car rental. I had called to reserve a car seat a month prior to our trip. First of all when we arrived at the airport the line was over an hour long to get our car. Mind you we had just been on a plane with our baby, who was now fussy and tired. So that alone was a nightmare. When I got to the counter I was told they had sold out of car seats a few days ago, even though I had a confirmation email confirming our reservation. This meant nothing apparently.

When asked to speak to someone else I was told they don’t have a manager or anyone else I can talk to. So now I am stuck at the airport with my baby and no car seat. I was told by the women that I can go to Walmart to BUY my own car seat. She proceeded to give me directions like she’s done this many times before. I was not given any compensation for the hassle this caused. I was given a 1 800 number after waiting for 45 mins, they offered me 50$. The car seat cost 100$.. So that was pointless. I will never rent for budget again.

Original review: June 27, 2022

In Denver I picked up a vehicle by the airport. I was told GPS would be $21 a day. I declined. When getting a car I was told to choose any. I was annoyed because I paid for full size. If they were going to let me choose, I could have paid for economy and gotten the same vehicle. One vehicle had a broken taillight. Another a foot long crack on the windshield. Eventually I chose a 4runner which interestingly had GPS. After I left I noticed a symbol displayed on the dashboard. The 2 front tires were over inflated to 45 and 60! So much for safety, does anyone inspect cars before renting them out?

Original review: June 25, 2022

We was called 3hrs before our reservation and they told us they didn’t have our 12 passenger van. Then they could give us 2 7 passenger suv and they would give us a price adjustment but they have yet returned my call. And I’m not happy!! Don’t tell me to do something and then them not talk to me about it. We wanted the 12 passenger van for a reason so we would have two people to switch off back and forth driving but we could do that.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I rented a car From Budget for one day after a trip. The rate was $63.47 which is fair, with $200 held for deposit to be refunded at end of rental. First problem is the amount of time deposit is returned to your credit card. It takes about a week. They can take the funds immediately, but are lax in returning them. I can see a day or two, but a whole week? Second issue which is more problematic. They initially took out $263.47, then when I returned car they charged an additional $63.47. When I called to inquire why, they said that’s their procedure, to charge $63.47 AGAIN then refund the original $263.47. Why not just refund $200 of original charge?? That’s an additional $63.47 tied up until God knows when?? With the technology we have today, why can’t they make it that simple? That’s bad business in my opinion.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I just rented a Budget rental car in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I rented this car for 7 weeks. I have now been told that I will NOT receive any Reward points for this rental because it is a franchise. So, really it's not a Budget rental agency! Technically they sold their name only, just to fool the customer into renting what you would think is a budget rental. That's like Mcdonald's selling DOG MEAT BURGERS instead of Beef in every other place except the US. Renter Beware.

Original review: June 17, 2022

Customer service is horrible. They ”blocked” me out of my business discount causing my rate to double and have spent days and hours on the phone with them. Two BBB complaints and the “executive” was just a floor level customer service without any authority to assist with anything. I’m going to start billing these companies for wasting my time and when they don’t pay it it’s going to collections. I’m sick to death of banks, Comcast and many other companies poor customer service.

If they weren’t so greedy they’d be willing to solve people's problems instead of instructing their employees to lie to us, transfer us in circles and be as unhelpful as is humanly possible. Never again and I will keep calling until they give me my money back and then I’m going to file consumer complaints with local government offices.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I prepaid for a rental and had to give a credit card at the counter in case of incidentals. I was told I would only be charged the incidentals due to prepaying. I return my car and think everything is fine. 2.5 weeks later I see both cards were charged the same amount for the same rental. I call and was told they could only find the charge to my prepay card and not the other card. They tell me to send in proof both cards were charged and they will fix it. I sent an email stating how I would like the credit card reimbursed not the debit card. 1.5 weeks later I see my debit card was reimbursed not my credit card.

I wrote an email asking why I wasn't contacted or notified of the resolution which was wrong. I called to talk to someone who couldn't answer my questions nor give me insight into what was needed and they would just send it to the proper department and I should hear back in 48hrs. I asked if they would actually reply via email, she said no, I would have to call back. I asked to speak to a manager. They couldn't do anything except transfer to my card as if the prepay was never done. BECAUSE the manager said the card at the counter overrides the prepay.

WHY did not a single person in customer service know this? Why couldn't they find the payment on the credit card when I initially called and only find the charge to my debit card? This all is very weird and fishy. I wouldn't rent from them because after this because their system is jacked up and they don't train any of their customer service agents.

Original review: June 14, 2022

This rental was supposed to be ready for fast pick-up, all information was provided, including driver, license, insurance, contact information, etc. However at the San Francisco Airport there was no Budget attendant, no contact waiting, at best a the lower level there was an Avis Desk, with a line that took an hour wait and when we arrived we were told that we had to go upstairs for help with our rental, the line on the 2nd level was even longer. After finally completing the rental process we were directed to space F35 for our vehicle. There was no space with this designation. We found an attendant and she determined that the Toyota Prius assigned to us did not exist, plate number **, car number **. After searching the lot, and then her computer, she was able to find us another vehicle. This process took over two (2) hours.

Original review: June 7, 2022

This was an awful experience. If zero stars were possible, the people working at this Budget would more than deserve it. My boyfriend rented a car from them that had a slow leak in the right front tire. He had something urgent to deal with work the next day, so he borrowed my car and asked me to return the rental. He tried calling this office when they opened to make sure it was ok for someone else to bring the car back. He was all set to send them a copy of my driver's license and insurance card but no one answered. He called the customer service department instead where he spoke to someone who told him “no problem” and seemed very understanding of the extenuating circumstances.

When I went to return the car, an employee checked out the car, confirmed the tire was low and observed that there was no obvious damage to it. The manager, Reggie **, came out and told me “I don’t know what you all did but it wasn’t like that when it left the lot.” He went on to tell me “I don’t know you” and that there were no circumstances under which I was allowed to drive the car. They also said they’d been taking calls since 8 am and didn’t receive any of our calls. Ultimately, they accused us of damaging the tire, sneaking an extra driver on the rental agreement, and lying about calling. After arguing about this with the manager he told me he didn’t like my attitude and he didn’t have a car for me.

I was standing outside of their shop ordering an Uber to my job in Petersburg and canceling patients for the day when he asked me to come in and agreed to give me a rental car because he was “trying to help [me] out”. Maybe the car did pick up a nail or something. Maybe there are no circumstances under which another driver can bring a rental car back. I can understand that. I can’t understand accusing someone of what amounts to destruction of property and theft before refusing them service. I highly recommend going to another Budget. Or an entirely different company. These people also own the Avis that’s attached to it.

Original review: June 5, 2022

We reserved a large passenger van for our group of 8 while we went to Disney World and the beach. We booked it and prepaid everything ($1400) four months before our trip. We show up at the Orlando airport at 9:30pm just to be told they didn’t have any passenger vans. They said we could have a Kia Carnival (which holds 7 people, but we had 8 plus luggage). They told my husband he could go out to the lot to see if the Kia would work for us. As he walked through the lot he saw three passenger vans like what we were needing. He came back and told the worker and he ended up giving us one of those three vans. It took nearly 1.5 hours before we were able to leave (almost 11pm, with a 4 year old and 6 year old) when it should have been a quick transaction.

Original review: June 4, 2022

I returned a car to Budget Rent A Car on 5/30/22 at 12PM. I realized at the airport that I had left my debit card in the car. I called them approximately 1PM and filed a report. Today is 6/4/22. I have not received my card back, an email or a phone call. So I went online to check on my item and it was not listed. I created another lost ticket and then called them. I was on hold 49 minutes and then was disconnected. I called back and pushed 1 for a call back and still nothing. Steer clear of Budget.

Original review: June 2, 2022

We rented a car on 20th of April on Dallas Fort Worth airport. We stayed at the hotel in Richardson, where someone stole a catalytic converter from the car on 24th April. We got the replacement vehicle the day after and we had to go to the airport to pick it up. During handover we were told that we won't need to cover the expenses for damage, as it was a criminal activity and there was a police report created that day. But end of May comes and Budget charges my credit card with more than 1500 USD for the damage! No prior notification, no discussion , nothing. Just taking money without any discussion. Their customer support keeps on sending generic emails in responses to my questions. I believe the only option to protect my consumer rights is to go with attorney. NEVER AGAIN WITH THIS RENTAL AGENCY!!!

Original review: June 1, 2022

Aiden, the Supervisor at the Flagstaff AZ Pulliam Airport was extremely rude and unprofessional. The people working the Budget/Avis counter had on wrinkled t-shirts and it looked like a college frat was running the counter. My family and I landed in Pulliam airport late (May 27 2022) and no one was at the Budget counter past 4pm. Luckily the Enterprise counter was open and we were able to get a car from them. I called the next day and talked to Aiden, who informed me, that the SUV I reserved (months in advance/Rental Agreement #**) was no longer available. (POLICY IS TO HOLD CAR FOR 24 HOURS!) He said it was my fault because I didn't arrive on time yesterday.

I said this is not acceptable and asked if he understood what customer service meant, and his reply was "do you understand what running a business meant?". I told him I would complain to HQ and his response was "Go for it.". He then said all he has was a mid-sized sedan, and it would take 30min to clean and prep it. I said we have to drive 70 miles back to the airport to get the 4 door sedan (and drop off the small 2 door car we got from enterprise because my 2 boys are too big for the enterprise car) and I asked him if he could prep it in advance so we could save time, and he said he would. When we arrived, we had to wait 30 min for the car, because he didn't prep it in advance. When we received the car, it was filthy, windows were covered in bugs and smudges. Needless to say I will be writing extremely poor remarks on Trip Advisor, Google, Yelp as well as writing to Consumer Affairs and the BBB and AZ Department of Tourism.

Original review: June 1, 2022

Got in mail yesterday a 97.53 collection letter from a collection agency. Directed from Budget rental car. Never & I mean never was I notified by Budget by letter, e-mail, etc. that I owed any damage, late fee, and I even paid for the flat gas fee when I rented the vehicle. Don't know what the 98.00 fee was but I'll pay more with another company if they collection letter....crooks!

Original review: June 1, 2022

My vehicle was rented by Karim and checked by Teddy at the Orlando airport MCO by Budget.com. Mr. KARIM made it clear to me that it was to deliver the car with a full tank. But when does Mr. TEDDY CHECKED that the tank was full (I have the photo with the date and time). Simply Mr. TEDDY and Mr. KARIM are LYING and taking advantage of the occasion for being Brazilian. NEVER again nor my family and I will use the services of BUDGET.COM. The attendants, valets have no clarity in their negotiations. Cars are not disinfected and even smell bad (**). I want my money back!!!! $92.81 that was stolen from my family.

Original review: May 31, 2022

I started trying to rent a full sized pick up truck from the website on May 27th. Website would not let me complete the reservation, so I tried to call in. Explained to the rep that I needed a full size truck for towing. He told me they didn't rent for that and I needed to call the rent a truck division- they were in charge of the full size pickups. Called them, they said the full size PU trucks are only through the car rental. Sigh. Called the car rental back- told them what I needed again. They were able to make the reservation, but couldn't guarantee there would be a hitch. For that I needed to call the actual branch at the airport. Gave me their number. I tried to call May 28, 29, and 30th. All different times, every time, I got a message that the mail box was full and couldn't accept messages. Goodbye.

Finally, called the main number back on May 30th and made the rental- it took me 45 min. 20 of that was trying to get the guy on the other side to understand my phone number and that I needed a Full Size Pick up truck not a compact car. Again, he couldn't guarantee a hitch, and stated that I'd have to call CVG Budget directly. On May 31st (today) I drove the 40 min to the airport to go speak to a human who informed me 1. The reservation was made for the wrong date. And 2. They don't have hitches because it states on the website that you aren't allowed to tow anything. I informed her that on the website it lists under every description that it will haul "whatever you need" and again at the bottom reads "can be used for... transporting recreational equipment..." and that seems very misleading. She just looked at me blankly and said "so, do you want the reservation or not?"

NO ONE had told me this on the phone when I had stated SEVERAL TIMES that I was planning to haul a trailer and was concerned that there needed to be a hitch. Had I not gone there in person, I would have showed up on the day of my reservation and had a useless truck and a ruined weekend! I'll add that this wasn't really a fun run- it is a time sensitive move that if I don't show up, I won't have a second chance for. Budget's online info was misleading- their phone staff is not knowledgeable- and you CANNOT reach their actual branch. They USED to be better than this. Very disappointing.

Original review: May 30, 2022

I had booked my car rental with a third party (Priceline.com) and let me tell you, I had the worst experiences ever, it was a nightmare. Yes, their pricing were cheap, but it was not worth the headache that came along with it. I landed in Long Beach airport and went to check-in, the guys there assisting seems like they were high on marijuana, one of the guy couldn’t keep his eyes open. After checking in, they handed me the keys and told me to go look for the car in their parking lot.

WOW!! It was a Chevy Trax, right off the back I wanted something more economic cars, but told me that’s all that they have which was a lie already, but I didn’t feel like arguing so I just took it anyways and drove off with it then two days later that sucker just shut off on me, it wouldn’t go forward or backward, after having to push the vehicle to secured location, I was told by customer services that they would not give me a replacement until the car been towed. I was on the phone with customer services, dispatcher and reservation. It was the WORST from 10 pm to 9 am, and having to Uber to get to my destination than having to pick up my replacement vehicle later in the evening, still haven’t receive my refund that they promise me. It’s ridiculous. I do not recommend them nor would I ever used them again ever. Save yourself the trouble and stay far, far away.

Original review: May 28, 2022

Went to Kona Hawaii in September 22. Had a car reserved at Hertz. When we got there they would not accept the card we reserved with and we were left without a vehicle. They were very rude and unempathetic so we walked next door to Budget. Was in and out very quickly with a nice car for a good price. We rented 2 cars from Budget. In 2 weeks they accepted all our cards. Were very nice and gave us great service. We love Budget. They saved us a lot of trouble on our vacation.

Original review: May 26, 2022

I had a reasonably good car rental experience initially. The only negative was prior to picking up the car no one would answer the phone when I called the rental location. But I thought all went well otherwise - nice car, reliable and clean. Drop off was easy. Then 6 weeks later I received a letter in the mail telling me I was being charged $450 dollars for a cleaning fee - claiming "excessive dirt and sand". There was probably some dirt from my shoes on the floor mats from my road trip from WA to CA, but I am a very tidy person and there is no way it took any more time to clean than a regular 5 min vacuum for the whole car. I don't smoke. I don't have pets. I didn't leave a spec of trash in the car. I didn't spill or eat in the car. I didn't go off-roading or hiking or anything other than a regular scenic car trip would include.

I called to complain, and customer service reduced the cleaning fee to "only" $125. I am not satisfied. They may have a good rental price, but then they will attack you with a cleaning fee after you've dropped off your car. I suspect this is their business model: advertise a low price and then overcharge with fees. I recommend avoiding Budget even if they have the lowest advertised price!!!

Original review: May 25, 2022

Well arriving late I had to wait nearly 3 hours, with many more people behind me, to rent my car at 1:40 a.m. at the Orlando airport. Being tired and frustrated and not able to hear/understand agent speaking to me I just wanted to get going. I spent an extra $140.00 to upgrade vehicle I really didn't need. (He said an extra $20 to upgrade) I thought that was for the whole week not each day. Then for $95 I took the tank refill and after driving realized the most I can get in was $70 empty to full. I hesitated using the smaller rental but decided it can't be too bad. NEVER again. Also I'm not sure if agents get commission on extra but I was hood winked into extra $$ by good salesman.

Original review: May 25, 2022

I booked a car using a third party (Travelocity) for an intermediate sedan. The usual dialogue at stand trying to sell upgrades, which I said no to. The operator then said have a Jeep, no mention of an increased price, but yep slugged a higher fee. This rip-off process needs to be addressed, I am a tourist and sick of the con, it is endemic in the tourism industry. Guess what I tell people back home.

Resolution response: June 5, 2022

After speaking to at least 6 people without getting a satisfactory resolution I wrote this negative review hoping the company would respond. I immediately got a call from someone who was clearly experienced and understood what I'd been complaining about. She resolved the overcharge and credited my card. I am satisfied with how it was finally resolved.

Original review: May 23, 2022

I rented a car through Auto Europe and paid $359.10 for a Budget car in Orlando, Florida. Budget proceeded to ignore the prepaid amount of $359.10 and tacked on exorbitant amounts for insurance where I ended up paying over $1000 for a one week rental of a compact car. I tried for weeks for them to at least honor the prepaid amount but they basically said since I signed the rental agreement they would not do anything.

Original review: May 21, 2022

We rented a car to attend my sister's funeral in Oklahoma in April. On the way back -the car began to malfunction and the check engine light came on and a few other lights indicating it needed to be serviced. We called Budget and said we would be 2 hours later as we had to drive slower and keep pulling over to read what the warning lights were in the service manual. We turned the car back in and they sent the car right over to the maintenance dept. We received another $50 charge on our credit card stating we NEVER picked up the car and were a NO SHOW. After sending in all the copies of all the documents of the rental, we were told by Adrianna with Budget on 5.6.22, we would receive reimbursement of the $50 fee by May 12. Today, May 21, after several phone calls to Budget, talking to a supervisor Francisco, we were told they never charged us $50.00!!! Even though I have emails that state otherwise. We will never rent from this company again.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I prepaid a rental car with an inclusive British Airways Holidays for a trip to Miami. After returning the car to Miami Airport with a full tank, I was consequently charged for a full tank of gas at $40.41 and also additional charges of $268.16 which they initially claimed were outside the inclusive holiday package and later claimed was part of the "hold" on my card for a deposit. After hours and hours on hold calling them, many emails to Budget and dispute with my bank, we finally did get the monies back 5 weeks later. Fortunately I had receipts and the staff at the airport said to take a photo of the full fuel tank. They never checked the condition of the car when we returned it so I took photos. After all the time and frustration dealing with this firm, I'd be hard pressed to ever use them again.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Rented two cars from this company. Starting from the beginning Budget could not get me an email to my active email address so I could reply to my confirmation email and officially open my account. I spoke to multiple customer service representatives who all verified my email but could offer no explanation as to why I was not receiving their emails. I asked to be transferred to their technical support department only to be told by all Budget employees (in Mexico) that Budget did not have a technical support department.

My credit card was charged even though I had not received my final billing statement. I have had to dispute both vehicle charges as I have no idea what I was charged for. While I was at the Denver Airport picking up the second rental for my wife to use, I asked about the bill on the first rental and was told that I had a charge for a driver under 25 years old. There were no 25 and younger drivers in our family, unless you count my 2-year-old grandson or 6-year-old granddaughter. I was then told that that it could not be removed until I was issued and charged my final billing invoice. This made me have to file a dispute with my bank. It is no wonder that they have a rating of 12th for rental car companies.

Original review: May 16, 2022

When I was waiting for my deposit back, a month passed by. I called and had to wait 72 minutes! Finally got someone and they said they had to fax my bank and let them know before releasing the funds. Why didn't they tell me when I rented? What if I never called? Is this why it took over 70 minutes to get someone on the line? Another scam they do...they have a toll thing on the from windshield. I googled it when I rented and I saw reviews saying it's a trick to charge consumers. If you go through a $3 toll, and use the pass... they will charge you $20 for the convenience. So I made sure I wasn't going to use it. Fortunately, I didn't go through a toll.

Looked on my bank statement for the deposit info and saw I got charged $20. I asked while I was on phone with guy, and he told me it's for the toll. I informed him I didn't even go through a toll! He told me to contact another number and dispute it. I can't believe how this company is so sneaky! Check your bank statements! Every day for at least a month! It's not worth renting here! These were not mistakes on their end...these were premeditated charges to trick the consumers. Please be aware!

Budget Rent-A-Car Company Information