2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.79/5

Alaska Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: April 1, 2020

My son has a friend in Salt Lake who he wanted to visit. We booked a flight with Alaska Air in January to fly out on April 2nd. You can imagine his disappointment when we said he could not go due to the virus pandemic issues. He had worked so hard to save his money to see his friend. When I called to cancel the flight and she told me we would get a credit for the full amount to be used at any time before a year, just the reservation completed in a year not necessarily to fly during that time. Wow, to say I was thrilled and surprised is an understatement. Thank you Alaska Air, we understand this is a very trying time for you as well. We appreciate you looking out for your customers.

Original review: March 21, 2020

Starting at the check in experience, it is EASY. Have self check in and bag tagging, do it yourself or someone is always there to help you if you have a problem. The planes themselves are consistently clean and roomy with holders for mobile devices and plugins. Attendants are attentive and ready to help out. The website and mobile app make ticketing easy and you are able to check out any phase of your flight. They have great deals and destinations are constantly expanding. Employees appear happy to work for Alaska and proud of their airline. That translates into how they treat the customer.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: March 15, 2020

The airline has a good variety of flight times which fits my needs well. Reservations, or upgrades are easy to manage, as well as seat choices, through their web site. Prices are reasonable. They have direct flights to my preferred destination (frequent flights to this area to visit family). The flights are dependable; infrequent delays, which is a standout compared to other airlines that I have used. Service is very friendly and efficient, as well as personable.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

Flight # 652 - PDX to DFW - 2/26/20 - Depart 7:40 AM & arrive 1:20 PM. Cynthia & Julie were so very pleasant & helpful. Good service & making sure that all was well for us!! Even when they were promoting the Alaska Credit Card, they used humor & easy to understand benefits. No "hard sale", just pertinent info!! Their occupation is "Customer Service with a Smile & Efficiency"!! They would be positive candidates for training &/or "refreshing" other employees!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

On flight 585 of Tuesday 10/10 2019 the flight of 10:50 from San Diego to Portland Oregon, a most compassionate pilot considered my plea to go gently on the descent. I am one of those people who has a very painful experience at the time the plane begins its descent and suffer the pain until the time of landing. I am beyond using nasal spray chewing gum or yawning for relief. Seriously considering to never fly again.

As usual, long before I detected the sound of the engine as the plane began its descent, I took several ** tablets anticipating to at least feel the pressure in my eardrums. But this time I could hear that the descent was in progress earlier than the usual 20 minutes before the schedule landing, and to my surprise there was no change in the cabin pressure. For the first time in years I had no pain whatsoever, all because of the kindness of a compassionate pilot who considered a need and decided that he can help. He agreed to begin the decent a little early, and my appreciation is beyond words.

Even the walls of my empty plastic water bottle did not squeeze into themselves under the usual powerful cabin pressure. If you never felt a little of this pain you would hope a pilot as the one who flew this flight would be your pilot too. I finally found out that yes, it is possible to start the descent earlier, it is possible to have a gentle descent and even reach your destination early as we did this time.

This is an appeal to all pilots everywhere. Please know that when babies cry at the time of the plane descends, adults cry also, and I am not the only one. Consider yourselves fortunate if cabin pressure does not affect you to this end. Thank you to the pilot who listened to my plea and made my flight peaceful. Sincerely, Emerald **.

Original review: July 13, 2020

I bought flight insurance (the "Total Protection Plan") on a flight from Pitts burgh to Seattle in April, but couldn't travel because of coronavirus. The insurer, AIG, is asking how much the airline is crediting me. They're crediting me with $173.40 and $399. However, I CAN'T CHANGE THE DESTINATION! The conference was postponed and done online. And Alaska Air has canceled flights from Pittsburgh to Chicago, where I DO want to go. So now Expedia is giving me the run around on behalf of the airlines, so that AIG and Alaska Air can get out of doing anything! To say I'm furious is an understatement. After being on the phone for an hour, explaining the problem, and while Expedia's representatives talked with Alaska Airlines, they dropped the call. They had my number, but didn't call back. Anybody know about a class-action suit against the airline or the insurer?

Original review: June 20, 2020

I tried to get a refund due to flying to Alaska to escort family members back to a spouse in the military in Anchorage. We cancelled due to the Covid 19 Pandemic that hit Seattle. We had 3-4 hr layover in Seattle there & back. I am 73 years old & I paid for the trip over $1400. I cancelled because of pandemic & because news saying everyone over 60 stay home. We were flying on 3/17/20 & I was coming home on 3/19/20 a very short time period. The family members I was escorting included a 2 yr old. Even Yellowstone National Park was closed due to virus on 3/20/20. I am compromised with meds & age. Alaska Air said only credit but no one in my family needs to go to Alaska anymore. I will never use the tickets.

Alaska Air is getting a part of the $25 Billion bailout to airlines. So AA gets a bailout & my $1400 + too. I am retired & limited income & only trying to help out my military family & now I cannot get a refund. I had no control over this pandemic which our county has never seen before. We had stay at home orders especially for seniors. Sadly the person in Consumer Advocacy, Ray Prentice, will not even help me. So AA must be prejudice against the military & senior citizens. The refund policy should be amended to give refunds & not credit due to the virus & the bailout that AA is getting from the government from tax payer money. I would have gone if it had not been for Covid19....

Original review: June 11, 2020

I understand with all that is going on right now that flights may have to change from time to time. But they have changed my flight four times in less than two weeks and tell me it’s because they need to get fuller flights. This is excessive! You should know how many people are going to be on that flight when you changed it the second time but to change it a third time and then again on the fourth time? Get it together Alaska! You’ve lost a long standing customer.

Original review: May 25, 2020

My husband and I are frontline health care workers moving from Baltimore to Seattle for work in 1 week. We are moving with 2 cats and due to our leases at both locations as well as having to work in the hospital once we get to Seattle, booked a specific direct flight June 1st and added our cats to come with us. 1 week from the flight we find our flight has been rerouted through another airport and they will no longer let us bring our pets. They explain that when they changed our plane yesterday they put us at the back of the line for pet tickets which were now already full on the new flight. It did not matter that we had previously booked the pet’s tickets before the flight switch.

I called and explained that given our rental situation and line of work we had no other options and they refused to help us out offering only to change the date. I was particularly offended when a supervisor said to me, “Let me explain this to you in hospital terms that you can understand.” This is an extremely stressful time for everyone, but as health care workers directly caring for covid patients and trying to move across the country, my husband and I are in a terrifying situation because of Alaska Airlines actions.

Original review: May 14, 2020

LIERS: The airline said they were requiring masks during this pandemic - while they made the announcement to do so there was ABSOLUTELY no enforcement. It was all a joke - or good advertising. It is dangerous to fly this airline. I would never trust an airline who so blatantly lie about customer safety. Even after I specifically asked them to remind people to put on masks, the attendant said it was a requirement while a passenger less than 6 feet from me blatantly had no mask on - and fell asleep that way. I finally moved closer and nudged him with a paper to ask him to put on a mask. FOR SHAME AIRLINE!!!

Alaska Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information