1.36/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

286 Alaska Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

@ 11 am 01/17/2019 @ Customer Service Alaska desk @ Seattle airport. There was a schedule change to my flight and I was notified of it. I walked up to the customer service desk, ask if I could be moved to an earlier flight. The staff was rude in explaining that the schedule change was not the airline's fault and said that it would cost me $50 to change the flight. Her attitude and tone of voice was disrespectful and degrading when that was not necessary. I would never fly Alaska again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My Emotional Support dogs and I were put off of our flight home this evening because I warned the flight attendant that my dog would cry once I zipped the carrier. MY DOG WAS NOT MAKING ANY NOISE. Neither of my dogs made a peep during the whole fiasco. The flight attendant LIED and called the supervisor to come "tell me the rules". I have 100% legal documentation for both dogs, which was provided to Alaska Airlines when we flew out to Seattle, when they let BOTH of my dogs fly as Emotional Support Animals.

After being put off the plane, the Customer Service Agent told me to falsify documentation so that both dogs could fly. I found this to be stellar information provided to a travel nurse who was merely trying to go back home. The worst part, as if the whole situation isn't bad enough, is that my grown daughter was flying with me, and was holding one of the dogs which I paid the $100 pet in cabin fee for. Good thing tomorrow is Monday and I can go have a doctor falsify those records for me so the dogs and I can go home. It actually pains me that Alaska Airlines is forcing me to be unethical just so I can get back home.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Alaskan airlines, worst ever. In a small regional airport Alaskan Airlines require you to check in 2hrs prior to departure, at an airport that has one coffee shop and one convenience nook. I arrived 1hr prior and check in was closed (keep in mind the context of getting through security in 3mins) and one terminal 100 mtrs long. No staff to help. No advance notice to arrive 2hrs prior, no phone number that answered. Nothing. They have one staff member in Kelowna that does everything causing them to set unreasonable restrictions on check in. They registered me as a ‘no-show’ despite getting to check in 1hr prior to departure. Careful. They are part of the Qantas routes in Canada. AVOID at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I took a flight for Christmas and would have had an okay experience had it not been for our flight attendant Diana. I just needed water for my son and asked the stewardess not once or twice, but three times. This woman kept getting distracted chatting away with her coworkers and when I stopped her for the third time because it was taking longer than it should have she gave me an angry attitude saying she was already going to bring it. I should not have even had to ask a third time for water much less be given attitude. It ruined the entire experience as I felt like I was treated disrespectfully. People like their stewardess Diana shouldn't even have jobs where they have to work with customers.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

After arriving one hour ahead of time for a flight from LAX to PDX (Portland, OR) gate attendants refused to allow me board the plane for no good reason and as such tried to EXTORT another $277.00 flight change fee. I had two choice words for them. ** off. There were four others not allowed without explanation or accommodation for a later flight, just a piece of paper that had a number to call.

When you call it sounds like a ROBOT with no reasoning skill or customer service ability. JUST we want more money and you should be thankful. I called Spirit Airlines who charge me $79.00 for the same flight. I used to fly Alaska but WTF. I don't like getting extort out of money from any company. Simply just a way for ALASKA AIRLINES to collect millions of dollars while sticking it to us customers. Felt more like a hostage rather than customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

What used to be a good customer service company is now transitioning to match the rest of the airline industry. Why have customer service when people are force to fly you anyway? I got to my gate 10 minutes before the posted time, but they had already closed the doors. The plane was sitting at the gate, they wouldn't help me get on the plane to get home. Even after the gate agent wrote another ticket, the plane was STILL sitting at the gate. I had to walk away from the gate while watching the plane sit there, knowing there is absolutely no good reason why I'm not on that plane right now. I guess it must have to do with the Virgin merger/takeover/buyout whatever. The planes are in strange and terrible shape. The planes they bought from Virgin look and feel like they were bought from a garage sale. I would rather fly United at this point.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have had the Alaska Air signature Credit card issued through Bank of America for 18 months. I have a credit score of 805, I don't carry a balance on my card but B of A has blocked my usage 6 times in 8 months with no clear reason why. They just say, "we are sorry but that's our policy, anything can happen so we just deny purchases randomly" but for me it has become a targeting of my account for NO good reason. The card is not worth having because they won't let you use it and build miles!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

On November 11, 2018 we were flying from San Diego to St. Louis. We were a little late getting to the gate, so they wouldn't let us on. Did not give us any help on finding a new flight home. They gave us a phone number to call, but we got voicemail saying they would call back. They never did. We ended up finding another flight home with another airline. We arrived in STL at 1:00 am. At this time, there was nobody at the Alaska desk and our luggage was locked up. We drove 2.5 hours to get home. The next morning I called Alaska four times. They never answered and they never called me back. I ended up driving back to STL. Once again, nobody was at the Alaska desk. I ended up finding an airport employee who was able to figure out how to get me my bags. Now, two days later, they still have not called me back!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Reckless negligent behavior by Cathleen (1337 FLL - LAX) 10/26 - This was the most terrible flight experience ever in my whole life because of the flight attendant named Cathleen. She is rude, unprofessional, unreasonable, ill-mannered person. Her attitude doesn't belong to any job with customer service involved. It started with me not feeling well at the takeoff, so I had to first use my "little red bag" for that purpose & then two more bags of people traveling next to me.

As soon as seat belts lights were off, I got up & proceeded to the bathroom to wash myself off. I kindly asked the male attendant, who was there, for extra bags, since I was feeling ashamed to ask people at front or rear rows for their bags. The attendant apologized to me but admitted they were completely out of bags! I went back and had to ask complete strangers in the back of my seat row to borrow their bags. I was then throwing up for another 30 minutes or so in fear that I will use all other bags and run completely out of it.

My neighbor then brought me some napkins, so I was very grateful. I also used all water I had left in my bottle. I got up again & went to the bathroom. When I came out the attendant's cart with drinks was literally at my 19th row but they were still servicing people ahead of my row, so if they would move just one row back I would take my seat, but the flight attendant Cathleen refused when I asked her to allow me to sit. I had to go back to the bathroom area to wait while I was so dehydrated that I couldn't even stand without leaning up against the wall. Cathleen passed by me few times taking more drinks (small wine bottles) with her. One time I stopped her kindly asking for a cup of water. She said she can't stop the service because it wasn't her fault that I missed my time in my row. Her voice was angry and face was mean.

I pointed out at the bottle of water standing near her working station, but she said it was her partner's bottle that he was using. It was obvious that the bottle was unopened and full. I explained her that I was throwing up for a good hour or more, and that I was feeling really sick, but she pretended not to hear me, and went back to serve others. I started to cry feeling neglected. When next time the male attendant passed by me, I asked him to tell me her name, since she had her name tag covered by her scarf. He didn't tell me her name asking me twice if there was a problem (probably seeing me all cried out), but I said I am simply initialed to know what the names of the crew on flight. Then he left and she came to me all angry and asked why I was asking for her name. This was all taking place while I was still standing up by the bathrooms, all thirsty, trapped in there, unable to return to my seat, missed my turn off water serving!

I told her crying that I insist of her uncovering her neck scarf that I could read her name, but she once again refused, instead, she yelled that her name was Cathleen. Then she took extra time on purpose clearing up her cart making sure I will spend extra 5 minutes on my feet, waiting, before I am able to pass by her to get to my seat! What a horrible experience! I really do hope that the management will take this matter in serious consideration! I could easily lose my consciousness because of her negligence, refusal of a cup of water when desperately in need, all the stress she caused me, her inappropriate by all means behavior!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Myself and a diabetic relative leave from Honolulu to Seattle on Alaska Airlines flight 818 10/20/2018. Our 6 hour flight is held for 25 minutes waiting for food and technical devices for our flight. Neither of which came and not one snack or apology were offered. This flight delay made us late catching our Alaska Airline connection 792. We were told “not to worry, there were over 15 passengers for the same connecting flight, it's very foggy and would be delayed for us.” We watched the doors close to our connecting flight.

I was looking thru the large glass window along with my relative in a wheelchair and made eye contact with the pilot on the plane. We were told there is a $10,000.00 fine for every minute the flight is delayed. I tried opening the door but soon as it closed it locked. Next we are told there’s not another available flight until the following day but we can get a food voucher emailed to be used another time. How about a voucher for my missed day at work or voucher for cost of picking up a pet late? Never has my family been treated so poorly from an airline.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

They don’t automatically assign your seats next to each other like every other airline I’ve flown with. No big deal at first. I was able to select seats next to each other anyways. I mean who doesn’t want to sit next to each other on their way to their honeymoon. After our nearly 10 hour trip to Seattle (we arrived via American Airlines), we arrive to only find out that our seats have been switched! We are no longer sitting together on the last leg of our long and late journey.

We were sitting directly behind each other now, they changed someone else’s seat to the window next to me and put my husband behind me! Then they had the audacity to ask if a couple would split up so a mother can sit next to her young child. The problem was they split EVERYONE up, so now this mother couldn’t get on this flight! Fly another airline. Nothing but headaches from there on out. Same thing happened at the end of our honeymoon to our trip home too. No help by any of their staff.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I came from ALASKA to Kansas then went back to Alaska. They said his crate was too small for him. My first trip to Kansas from ALASKA no problem with his crate. On the way home they said he was too big for it and had to pay 200.00 for a new one. What did I make it through the first time with no trouble! Not happy at all.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I booked a first class flight from Seattle to Austin. As I scan my ticket to board they pull me and tell me they have a broken seat in FC (not my seat) but they gave my seat to that person and put me in the back of the plane!!! The woman was rude, unapologetic and said she would only give me the difference in flight. In my opinion. The woman that’s seat was broke should have had to move not me who paid for a working seat!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

On a flight from Oakland to Kona, about 2 hours into the flight, I needed a cup of ice for a can of Seven-Up I wanted to drink. 20 minutes, 3 times 2 different flight attendants tell me to wait for the cart. Um... each time they came up they could have brought it with them. Finally, my wife passes the galley and ask again and they give it to her, but they also called me disgruntled. WTF did I do? I wasn't rude or loud. I just wanted a cup of ice. Upon reporting this to their customer service I didn't expect much from them. They sided with whatever the FA's said. No apologies, instead emailed me a discount coupon. Cannot make this stuff up, truly unbelievable.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

4 days ago I called to purchase ticket, which could only be done via phone. During the process at some point the Alaska Airlines agent booked two other flights costing me OVER $2,600 using my credit card. They also sent me their customer's personal & flight information to me via email! The day the mistake happened (Tuesday) I was told my refund would be made within 3 days. I called Alaska Airlines today (day 4) and I'm getting the runaround with different numbers to call at a certain time. This is extremely unacceptable that I had to pay somebody else's flight, and even more not having my refund yet. It is not $100 mistake.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I booked a flight to Puerto Vallarta Mexico in September for travel in December through Alaska Airlines and bought their partners Allianz Travel to cover the trip. I had booked accommodations separately through VRBO. I found out that my accommodations were not going to be available for my trip in December and prices on other locations had jumped out of my price range. I went online to cancel my Alaska Airlines reservations in October and was told I would have to pay a $ 125.00 per ticket change fee to get the airfare credited to my Alaska Airlines wallet.

I was very disappointed but was told by Alaska Airlines Representative that I could get my change fees refunded because I had purchased the travel insurance through their partner Allianz Travel. Long story short I filed a claim for the fees and was denied because they said my reason wasn’t covered. They are running a scam on customers. They work together to sell the worthless insurance and then deny claims. My trip that never happened just cost me 250.00 in change fees and 45.00 for worthless insurance. I won’t fly Alaska ever again. If you choose to don’t buy the Allianz insurance. It’s a scam. They never pay claims. Just another fake insurance scam that Alaska Airlines promotes.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I am writing to express a disgraceful, unprofessional, and sickening experience we have had with Alaska Airlines. Almost 2 hours into the flight, having pressed the light for the stewardess to request water for our kids, no one came. We looked around and did not see either of the stewardess. I went back to the plane to look for them, I saw no one there, so I waited 20 minutes, still no one came, 2 of my kids were crying for a drink of water.

I saw an open bottle that someone else served himself from, so I did the same and poured a few cups for my kids. As I was doing so, a stewardess with the name of “Geraly” started to shout at me, telling me that I cannot serve water on my own. I expressed to her in a calm voice that my kids are thirsty, I had the service light above my sit on for over an hour, no one came, I looked for her, could not find her. She immediately started to shout at me in a cruel way telling me I cannot do what I did, and to go back to my seat (fasten seat belt light was NOT on). I told her I will, but there is no reason for her to speak to me the way she is, I am human. She started to get more irritated and told me to shut my mouth never serve myself a drink and go back to my seat, I did as she requested.

Needless to say, there was something else in her head and was angry either at the fact that we are of a religious faith, and it is very clear from the outside appearance, or she was just having a bad day, whatever the case may be, it was no way to treat us. A little bit later into the flight, my other kids wanted a drink, so again, I put on the service request light above the seat, and no one came for a good 25 minutes.

This time I understood that I cannot serve myself water, I went to the back of the plane and “Geraly” was there, I asked her for 3 cups of water. She rudely refused making a nasty face at me, and YELLED at me, ORDER IT VIA THE MONITOR ON YOUR SEAT. I kindly asked her, I am not very savvy with computers, would you be kind enough to just give me 3 cups of water. She once again started to go out of control yelling at me and telling me to go back to my seat (again, no seat belt light was on). At this time I was very hurt, and upset that I am being treated like a dog, for no reason at all! I went back to my seat. I tried to figure out how to use the computer on the seat to order water, after a while I figured it out, and waited for the water that never came. Meanwhile, I see a person walking to the back, getting water served and walking back to his seat.

At this time, I understood it was clear hatred or discrimination of some sort. I went back and asked “Geraly” why did you just serve that man water, but you did not serve me when I asked you to? She flipped again, this time telling me she going to call the captain, telling me on not obeying, telling me to shut up and go back to my seat. I was assured she had some kind of hate for Jews or simply for the way I looked. I went back to my seat.

A little while later, I saw the 2nd stewardess, don’t recall her name, and I flagged her down, I asked her what was the name of the lady I was dealing with “Geraly”, as soon as I was doing this, Geraly came and started to listen in, I asked her to leave, I don’t want to speak with her, she refused, I was seating in my seat talking to the other stewardess, again I asked Geraly to leave, I want a private conversation, she said, no, I am staying right here, I looked in amazement at the other stewardess, she then looked at Geraly and told her, PLEASE LEAVE in a sturdy voice, she walked away. I expressed to her what I felt, and wanted her full name. All I got was “Geraly”, she was very kind to me.

About 10 minutes later, Geraly approaches my seat with a big smile on her face, next to my kids, telling me that after we land to remain in my seat, the security/police want to speak to me. I was shocked. Sure enough the plane landed, and 3 uniformed police officers with guns walk into the plane, my kids were horrified, 2 of them made in their pants, and they escorted me off the plane, I was crying with humiliation walking through the plane everyone watching me, then going into the main airport terminal where others are waiting to bard, like 500 people just staring at me as I am some terrorist, all for a stupid cup of water that would not be served to me and my family.

I was investigated by the police, asked questions, and the police officer told me “I cannot take sides, but this was horrible service, you need to report her actions, not here at the airport, but when you come home, call their customer service number.” I did just that, he apologized, and let me go. I asked for a report, he said “what report? You did nothing wrong!” DO NOT FLY WITH THEM. THEY HAVE ZERO SERVICE AND ARE JERKS!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I feel obligated to inform you of the HORRIBLE experience I have had with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Airlines. My mom was a Flight Attendant for over 30 years. I have always had great traveling experiences, beginning with when I was an infant. I have never in my life been treated so badly by anyone and have still not gotten over it! Not only were the flight attendants rude and kept a constant frown but they had the nerve to blame me rather than apologizing for any of their actions. Not only did my injured friend have to wait 45 minutes to get back to his seat, because they were serving beverages and wouldn't let him go around but, I had asked for a water to take my medication and it took almost two hours.

On my flight coming home I was hopeful it would go differently. Not only did the airlines lose my bag, they were blaming me for the occurrence. Once I got home, it was not here and the very rude package claim person obviously did not want to deal with me. I received a call the next day saying they found my luggage (sent it to Oregon for some reason?!) and it would arrive late Monday night. I left a message Monday night AS WELL as Tuesday, informing them I received a call they found my luggage and wanted to know if they would send it or if I needed to pick it up. I had to call back again today, WEDNESDAY, because not one person called me back to discuss next steps. I will never fly with Alaska Airlines again!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

This weekend I traveled from Anchorage to Detroit. Due to space issue I checked my very large service dog in baggage. Thank goodness as we had requested a bulkhead to accommodate his size but was put at the back of the plane. Checking in was a nightmare that had us at check in for 45 min. With all that time and him being noted as being a service dog I figured he would be well cared for. I had a 4 hour layover in Seattle and was told I could get him out and toilet him. Well my flight was delayed and it took me an hour to find out that due to time he was going directly to my next flight.

Got about ready to pull from the gate and I still did not hear that he was onboard safe until after the doors were closed and started to pull away. Then my real panic hit in Detroit. I was not told where to get my dog. Asked where the baggage office was and no one could tell me. I finally heard my dog barking! Found him at oversized baggage tilted sideways. No one there to make sure he was our dog! I was instead yelled at and told to lift the crate down to get him out of the way!. His door had been zip-tied for safety and I could not get him out without something to cut it. No help until someone used a key to break the tie when they came to claim their own luggage. There was no way I could lift 100 lbs of large dog crate and dog by myself!

Customer care response to everything. "Well he was baggage and nothing indicated he was a service dog..." His crate has it on all sides that he was a service dog AND there was a letter taped to his crate in huge letters he was a service dog.... on top of all this. The bolt holding his water bowl had gotten damaged on the outside of his crate and he was not given any water from 9:30 pm until 3pm the next day. Never booking Alaska Airlines again.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The flight was delay for 2 hours from San Francisco to Dallas then when I got to my seat the flight attendant was very racist. Every time she walks close to me and gives me bad comments. I was so tired. Was watching movies and she just comes and said something bad and walks away and in the end one of those 2 woman comes and tells me, "Straight up the seat in front of you. This is your job." I asked you, "This is my job??" I haven't heard this in my life.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Two days ago, Alaska Airlines made a significant change to their policy involving travel with emotional support animals. Now only untrained dogs and cats are permitted (you know I will complain again if I end up sitting in close proximity to a cat!). I am an 80% service-disabled veteran and I have given LOTS of business to Alaska Airlines because I live in Anchorage and travel to Portland for VA medical care there. The Anchorage VA Clinic is worthless! But now, if I were to continue to fly to Portland for medical care, I will end up paying $400.00 (roundtrip) to take my trained emotional support parrots with me as I have done for nine years.

I wrote a professional letter to CEO Brad Tilden (brad/tilden@alaskaair.com) today and expected a professional response regarding this policy change. He arranged for a "loopy" woman to call me back and, when asked said I would not get any sort of correspondence in return from Alaska Airlines. There is no possible way that Alaska Airlines personnel could have treated me with less respect. This is a terrible company. Generating more revenue is the only thing this terrible airline company concerns itself with. Passenger service is unimportant to Tilden. And loyalty and respect for him goes only one way. He needs it and demands it, but refuses to offer it in return. That's the Alaska Airlines corporate culture. My advice is to choose a different airline company when you have a choice!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I was on the phone several times today as I missed a flight. My mistake, I thought it was for tomorrow. The service rep here in Phoenix was so helpful and diligent in finding a flight that would work for me as there was not much to choose from. Very satisfied customer!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Alaska acquired Airbus 320 and 319 planes when it took over Virgin America earlier this year. These are the worst planes I have been on over at least 20 years. The cabins are beat up, non-functional seats (even in first class), low air quality, extreme noise level during the flight, inane styling with "mood lighting" (pink and purple), poor and incompetent service, no Internet, no movies, no TV, scraps of inedible food. I will never take an Alaska flight again that uses Airbus equipment acquired from Virgin America's junk heap.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I should have known from day one Alaska Airlines was going to be hell for me. I took a flight to Canda where they were very unprofessional and rude to passengers. On top of it, they lost my luggage. They gave me a voucher for $300 which did not cover what was lost nor did I want to fly with them. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and I spent an additional $295.54 to fly to Alaska but had to cancel because it's not within dates I can fly. They told me I can reschedule it and sure enough when I tried to rebook it, I was on the phone over an hour and they told me that I had nothing in their system and it was expired, I lost my $300 voucher and $295.54. I suggest staying away from them. Take a look at the BBB reviews. So many complaints and really bad business! They should not exist.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

As a lifelong Alaskan, Alaska Airlines disgusts me. Alaska Airlines has stripped all authority from the front line to make decisions that would, in fact, make sense and make loyal (lifelong) customers feel valued. As you have gotten bigger, your service has become very impersonal. You are a corporate machine milking customers for every little $50 fee that you can. It’s really disgusting. How can you explain not waiving a $50 fee so that somebody who is down in Seattle for the day for urgent medical appointments flying on full fare tickets (bought as one-way tickets on the same day) leave two hours earlier to get home to her child - no checked bags - so that you can make your little $50?

I could have just walked on a plane that is not full but instead I am waiting two more hours for the next flight. No checked bags — really no skin off of Alaska Airlines' back. When you were smaller and less driven by corporate greed you would make exceptions like that for loyal customers. For good customers. But no longer. And the front desk people just spew out your “policies”— like little Automatons. They have no authority. It is disgusting. No wonder your pilots and flight attendants are unhappy and just putting a good face on things because they know it’s the right thing to do as you negotiate to whittle down their benefits and pay. You have gotten too big for your britches. Unfortunately, many of us in Alaska don’t have any choice but to fly Alaska Airlines.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I wanted to give Alaska one more chance as I'm blessed to work and travel from Honolulu to Portland every few weeks. After last night never again. I've tried this same flight now three times, only Hawaiian from now on. Why? Old 737-800. All three times late from the gate for mechanical issues. Yesterday it was one hour late leaving. That stressed all the customers who had connections. Stinky old plane, gross!

Attitude. Flight attendants seemed more interested in hanging out at the rear of the plane. I have carpal tunnel and it's hard to open bottles. I ordered an alcoholic beverage, those small bottles. I was having a hard time opening the bottle so I asked the flight attendant to help. She tried to make a joke out of my inability to open the bottle. Fellow passengers were just stunned

Gate workers. These folks must not have met the qualifications for Hawaiian. I listened to rude exchanges as stand by folks tried to get seat status. Communication with ground crews. The plane was an hour late. The flight attendant came on and told us we had to hurry off the plane so those with other connections could make them. The plane landed but the gate was not ready! An extra 15 minutes waiting for a gate. Destroyed my luggage. To top it off they put a huge gash in my Filson bag. I looked over at the luggage assistance counter with 25 people in line! I said screw it. If you have any other choice, take it. Alaska is far below Hawaiian in every respect.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Gate employees left me as last person to help after boarding everyone else knowing I would not make my only connecting flight of day. Things got worse from there. Had the nerve to ask me "final answer, you're not getting on the plane?" Supervisor Nicole rebooked me to Delta while exhibiting anger at time spent with me. Told me she could only reschedule me to next day, but then kept changing that rule. Said could not refund me. But printed out new ticket for Delta saying she didn't do it correctly and I would have to go to Delta terminal 2 at LAX from Alaska terminal 6 to fix it then left me on my own. Aug 3rd Alaska Air says they will refund my ticket money due to horrid events of day before as I was stranded 3 hours from home and paid $74 for a shuttle to get to closest town to my home which was still an hour away.

Since then I have talked to customer care and central baggage almost every day and as of today Aug 15th, I still do not have my refund or baggage. I have had medical issues due to my medication left in my bag. My bag did end up at my original destination, but after a call to central baggage they said they would transport it from Lewiston Idaho to Seattle then FedEx it to my home on Mon Aug 6th. I trusted that. As of Fri Aug 10th I had no news and called again, no claim had been created and my bag was now in the wind. I called direct to Lewiston baggage, verified my bag was there on Aug 3rd, but as of Fri Aug 10th it was now lost.

Central baggage employee Melody called sites and no one knows where it is. First spoke with her Sat Aug 11th. 2 persons on Aug 3rd and Aug 10th never created claims! Now it's in the wind! I have paid over $400 out of pocket to get home and replace necessities due to no bag and medication replacements. Also they point responsibility for refund after the fact to American, then Delta, then Expedia after they volunteered my refund on Aug 3rd. Each time I call and speak to a so called supervisor, I get sent in a different direction while they totally defer and redirect responsibility! Have never had such POOR customer service from any company! And I am a supervisor who deals in customer service. I will always direct anyone away from Alaska Air.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I flew "business class" from Seattle to New York on Alaska Airlines. It was a "red eye" yet the seats hardly reclined at all! The service was terrible. My 86 year old diabetic mother sat next to me and asked if there was going to be food. The air steward couldn't have been more dismissive of her. When we arrived there was no wheelchair to help my mom, even though we had pre-arranged. We were so miserable, I don't think I've ever taken a worse flight. My mother said to my husband, "Don't forget to claim my body"! It was true travel torture.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I was held up for 25 minutes for waiting for a wheelchair on my last flight last July 26 (Ontario to Seattle). As a compensation for the wait, the stewardess "TOLD ME & PROMISED" (this was documented on her cellphone) 2000 miles & $250 discount on my next flight for me & my wife (she was also waiting)... This NEVER HAPPENED when I checked my mileage plan... Just want the public NOT TO BELIEVE what Alaska Air personnel says... NO WORD OF HONOR!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

One of my friends tell me to have a booking with Alaska Airlines Flights, and I do the same. Trust me. I have a wonderful experience. I was traveling from Alaska to Mexico it was my first travel trip so, I was a little worried but to my surprise, I met with an Amazing experience. All the staff members were very helpful and the foods was my cup of tea. Very delicious and tasty. So I will suggest you all have a booking with Alaska Airlines at least once for a Wonderful experience.

Alaska Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

• Best for: Frequent fliers, business travelers, holiday travelers and vacationers visiting West Coast destinations and Alaska.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information