2. Travel
  3. Airlines

4.0/5 (670 ratings)

About Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: June 12, 2021

Alaska's customer service was extraordinary in our recent flight from SF to Boston. Honestly, we had screwed up our reservation, finding out that the flight we had booked had departed two days earlier! They busted their tails to get us on board a full flight, with seats together. (I don't know how they did that...) It was complicated by my wife's severely limited mobility, yet they just blazed us through with speed and courtesy. I always liked Alaska, but often price-shopped. Not any more, though, not any more.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I've flown Alaska six times now into and out of Missoula MT from Sacramento CA. The flight service has been good, the flights on time and the planes are pretty comfortable. I feel comfortable that they are doing a good job of cleaning and sanitizing the planes, in fact they were on the plane cleaning before we were all off the plane on my last trip. I don't like the price I've paid for checked bag, but it's actually gone down for my upcoming trip.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2021

I was returning from Salt Lake City after my father passed. I had too many guns and family heirlooms overweight, explained to the ladies why I had so much baggage to check. They purchased me another piece of luggage helped downsize so as to get the weight per bag correct and waivered my freight fee. It was a blessing to me, all my treasures from my Grandparents and father arrived safely in Alaska where I now display them to my friends. Once again thanks Alaska Airlines.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Alaska Airlines is my favorite airline. They are always running deals and you can find "saver" fares the majority of the time. The flights are always clean and staff has always been friendly. I was bummed when they stopped being as COVID safe before other airlines (they started selling the middle seat before Delta) but otherwise I've never had anything bad to say. I also love you can charge your device on every one of their flights. I always seem to lose all my battery when I get in the air.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

When flying is safe again, no airline rewards program beats the AlaskaAir Visa card. The miles earned are typical, but the use of these miles is the best in the industry: they can be used for any and all flights on Alaska Airlines or on any of their dozens of partner airlines. There are no blackout dates, the miles never expire, and reward seats are as available as any direct purchase seats. No other airline program is as "open" as Alaska's! They also give an annual "$99 companion fare," which more than offsets the $79 annual fee. They also offer a free card, but with much reduced benefits: in this case, the $79 card is a much better deal than the free card.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

My grandson (age 13) and I have reservations from SeaTac to El Paso on the same flight. Alaska assigned me a seat and not my grandson. I called to have him placed next to me and they are charging $125.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

First I want to give a shout out to the Alaska employees in Detroit on July 30th. They helped my disabled mother and I greatly. They didn't make me struggle with luggage, wheelchair, walker, alone. They were very helpful. They changed seats for us because we were in the back of the airplane. They shuffled people around and got us in aisle 13. They transferred her to her seat well from the wheelchair to the aisle seat.

Now why can't Seattle Alaska employees do the same? On July 23rd they were seriously lacking. I was told I had to move everything including my mom out of the way of the line because I had to print my own luggage tickets before I could check my luggage. Really? So I'm moving the wheelchair, walker, suitcase, and 2 carry on as well as my mom out of the way with no assistance. Then I get to the machine to print out bag tags and there is no category for a walker or a wheelchair. When asked no one can answer what I should do. I decide to choose the stroller category for both.

Once I get my mom, luggage, carry ons, wheelchair and walker back in line an employee finally recognizes that I am having issues moving everything through the line. She sends us to a newly opened assistant. I am then asked if we are taking the wheelchair to the gate. I reply yes and am then asked why I printed out three luggage tickets. I replied because I was told to. I am told that the wheelchair does not need a ticket because it will get a gate ticket. Well if you would not have made me print my own baggage tickets we would not have the problem of too many baggage tickets. Since they were able to eliminate a baggage ticket I realized they were probably just as capable to print the tickets out in the first place. They ask if my mom can walk to her seat and I reply no. All this information was included in my reservation by the way. They ask if I need an aisle seat repeatedly. I say I guess so if that is what someone who cannot walk to their seat needs.

Once they did transfer her to the aisle chair the guys did not know how to fasten her in and kept letting her elbows hit the seats. Please train your Seattle workers to have some kind of empathy for those that are disabled and for those traveling with the disabled. Once again thank you Detroit Alaska employees for a fantastic experience. Seattle employees need to train with the Detroit crew.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Alaska cancelled our connecting flight without notice. Added hours to our layover with a 10 month old. Staff was at best completely useless, at worst insulting with their placations. Alaska must have a lot of people with an unofficial title of "Professional Useless Person" given the enormous number of Alaska dieg walking around. Everything seemed to be everyone else's department. It's amazing how many employees you need to tell someone to call customer service. This used to be a great airline. Now it is my last choice.

Original review: July 15, 2021

It is pretty simple, whether it is policy some fine line **, I will never use them again and will refer others to the do the same. I had a memorial in Reno and I arrived at the desk to check in 35 minutes before my flight, And they claim they already sold my seat. I had plenty of time to get through check in and to the gate as I was travelling light. I was told the next was was later 12 hours later. Ultimately I did not take the flight because there was no point as I would have missed the memorial. And then, I am told I get no refund or flight credit for it. I tell you what, where I come from that is straight horrible customer service and ethically wrong.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Flying back from San Francisco to Los Angeles on a Saturday after a one day work trip, I received an email when I awoke offering me a $250 voucher to change my flight to another day -- I was supposed to fly out at 1030pm after a day of work to get home to see my family and we had plans the following morning. So I naturally ignored the email.

Cut to 6pm, when I am informed the 1030pm flight has been canceled and I am flying out the next day at 530pm. After getting on with reservations to change my flight out to 930am the following morning and maybe salvage some of my plans (I couldn't ultimately), I didn't receive a confirmation email about my itinerary. I called back a few hours later and requested it again. Still did not receive an email. Had to call a third time -- it's 1130pm by this point -- and demand an email to be sent while I sat on the phone. However, all that was sent was a receipt, but I was assured I was on the flight.

Cut to 8am Sunday, the following morning at SFO and I can't check in at a kiosk. After an hour of standing in line at the zoo in front of the Alaska Air check in stations, I get my boarding passes and am told to call Customer Care (closed till Monday) about being reimbursed for everything I spent while having to stay the extra night in San Francisco. This is important -- I asked REPEATEDLY how to deal with reimbursement. They told me just to call customer care with no instruction -- all operators, all people I talked to in Alaska air outfits at the airport.

So I call customer care. They honor the vouchers they suspiciously sent me earlier in the day on Saturday -- though the operator gets super defensive when I ask why the flight was canceled, she said crew issues, and I ask if they knew that was going to happen with the voucher email -- but demand ALL reimbursements have ITEMIZED receipts. NO ONE told me to do this -- I had receipts for everything but not all of them were itemized. Finally the operator admitted to me that Alaska had limited staff, tons of layoffs, tons of people retiring, etc and it becomes a domino effect down to the customers.

However, they still refused to reimburse for the full amount. Despite them canceling the flight. Despite giving zero instruction about how to properly get reimbursed. Despite wasting hours of my time just to get myself home. Maybe they don't send an email to every passenger whose flight they have canceled (something they can easily do) explaining how to get reimbursements per their company policies, because it's easier to make it difficult for people they have inconvenienced, for those people to make mistakes as they are scrambling to reschedule their travel plans, as they get frustrated from waiting on hold repeatedly with "customer care" to get all the money they spent back.

Don't fly with them until they get their house is in order (that will probably be a while). And if you do, there's a good chance your flight will be canceled -- I'd actually flown with them a month before and they did the same thing, only booked my family on a flight just a few hours later, so it was not a big deal. And if they do cancel your flight, itemize your receipts and stay in the most expensive hotel you can possibly find a room in.

Alaska Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information