2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.21/5

Alaska Airlines Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

On flight 585 of Tuesday 10/10 2019 the flight of 10:50 from San Diego to Portland Oregon, a most compassionate pilot considered my plea to go gently on the descent. I am one of those people who has a very painful experience at the time the plane begins its descent and suffer the pain until the time of landing. I am beyond using nasal spray chewing gum or yawning for relief. Seriously considering to never fly again.

As usual, long before I detected the sound of the engine as the plane began its descent, I took several ** tablets anticipating to at least feel the pressure in my eardrums. But this time I could hear that the descent was in progress earlier than the usual 20 minutes before the schedule landing, and to my surprise there was no change in the cabin pressure. For the first time in years I had no pain whatsoever, all because of the kindness of a compassionate pilot who considered a need and decided that he can help. He agreed to begin the decent a little early, and my appreciation is beyond words.

Even the walls of my empty plastic water bottle did not squeeze into themselves under the usual powerful cabin pressure. If you never felt a little of this pain you would hope a pilot as the one who flew this flight would be your pilot too. I finally found out that yes, it is possible to start the descent earlier, it is possible to have a gentle descent and even reach your destination early as we did this time.

This is an appeal to all pilots everywhere. Please know that when babies cry at the time of the plane descends, adults cry also, and I am not the only one. Consider yourselves fortunate if cabin pressure does not affect you to this end. Thank you to the pilot who listened to my plea and made my flight peaceful. Sincerely, Emerald **.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

My husband and I have flown Alaska Airlines before and have been very happy with the service. Recently we had to postpone our trip due to a family emergency. I was told that the fair I booked was not refundable, understanding I still asked to explain. When explained that my sister in law had taken a turn for the worst and that we were primary caregivers, the reservationist gave us a full refund, I have not been to Fairbanks to see my daughter in three years, but felt the need to stay at home, Imagine my surprise @ reservations saying how sorry she was for the pain we are going through. Thank you for caring. Susan, you were awesome that day and I appreciate the card.!!! DeAnn

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Even though some gentleman at the counter for customer service rescheduled me to a much later flight because we got couldn’t get thru security on time since some of my personal items were lost. I called customer service on the phone about a issue, they told me to get in line and a hold of any attendant who could fix it. Although there was a long line due to pets checking in, an attendant Monica was efficient and helped my daughter and me, rapidly understanding the situation. She solved the problem right away with care and attentiveness. I will fly on Alaska more often on every trip I take just because of the good employees working for the airline who show experience and who care like Monica did.

Original review: March 20, 2019

My wife and I took Alaska Airlines flight 783 from Newark, NJ to San Jose, California on March 19, 2019. Attendants in Premium Class were exceptional! Entire flight was a pleasure, and we look forward to traveling with Alaska even more! We make this trip many times a year and will always think of Alaska 1st! Keep up the good work, it certainly makes a huge difference! Thank you for a Great Trip!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have had nothing but good experiences with Alaska, which I use several times a year for business and recreational travel. They are always helpful. But this time they really exceeded expectations. I had a nightmare of a time with Travelocity when I changed a flight time (which I paid for). They made so many mistakes in my reissued ticket I was in despair. (Two examples, changed the status from economy to saver, changed the return flight despite my requesting it remain the same.) Every time I called I was on hold for an average of 3 hours. This went on for a week. Many promises that turned out to be lies. Finally I called Alaska Airlines. An agent answered right away and I explained. Even though they had no obligation to fix anything since Travelocity had issued the ticket, they still fixed the whole mess, no additional charge. I will book directly with them next time. I could have saved $125 by doing so.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I'm from Seattle, an Indian and I avoid flying with Alaska Airlines as much as I can. Their flight attendants make sure you are racially discriminated against. A simple example asking for food only to white passengers and saying "whatever" to people of color. Greeting only white passengers, and giving careless looks to people of color. Yelling at people of color while talking to white passengers politely. I hope this airline closes down. I have never had such a racist experience on Delta, Southwest or even United.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I would like to reflect on my first experience with Alaska Airlines. My husband and I were flying from Boston to San Diego with our 7 month old twins to see their grandmother the day after Christmas. We arrived at our gate in Boston 1 hour before departure to discover that the flight had been delayed an hour. We then learned that the plane from San Diego had yet to leave and therefore they were unsure how long our delay would be. Well, it was around 10pm when they cancelled the flight because the San Diego flight had yet to leave and therefore we would not have a plane to be able to leave Boston. They cited weather in San Diego as the cause. We then waited in line/on the phone for customer service to help book us on another flight.

This piece of my experience was exceptional. Because I had explained we were traveling with twins they actually upgraded us to 1st class because otherwise we would have had to wait multiple days to fly out. The accommodations were more than acceptable and if this was the only negative experience we had then we would be Alaska customers for life.

On to our flight home. My husband and twins had contracted the flu while we were on vacation so it is important to note that in addition to our experience we were all sick. So when we arrived at our gate our flight was delayed 45 minutes (no big deal more time to go to the restroom and make sure we have snacks) then.... Gate Change! We boarded our plane. We waited at the gate, and waited, and waited and then were told we needed to deplane because they needed to use our plane for a flight to Hawaii. 4 hour delay.

Boarded another plane. We waited and waited and waited. Told there was trouble with the catering. Waited some more. Told that the air-conditioning was broken and we needed to de-plane and change gate. Gate Change! Arrived at our gate, told they canceled the flight. Spoke to Alaska representative who offered a flight out of another airport in 4 hours to get us home overnight. In the end we ended up being booked on a Delta flight without any delays, disruptions, and a beautiful uneventful flight home.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

This morning I started a week of holidays. Got up at 3 to be on schedule for a 530 departure from Victoria BC Canada to Seattle (first leg of getting to Mazatlan, Mexico today). The aircraft had a malfunction so we didn't leave until 730 ish. I lost my Seattle to LAX connection. The flight attendants told us that a rep from Alaska would meet us and reschedule us as fast as possible. No one met us because there were "too many of us". Some of us had to claim luggage go through customs and recognized each other in the Alaska line up to get rescheduled. This took hours. I thought that by the time I got to the counter the agent would be on it... they weren't, even with the 2 hours heads up on the delay.

At around 930 the airline staff told me I would be on the 1040 pm flight to Dallas, stay over night there then go to Mazatlan the next day. I am almost 60. I don't really want to spend 11 more hours in the airport. The attendant gave me a boarding pass for the 1240 flight as stand by. I waited at the gate for 2 hours and was told the flight was over booked by two extra passengers... so waiting until 1040 pm was my option. Ok I can accept this, I travel often, it's busy, still the holidays etc. I thought I would make use of my time and work the hours away in the Alaska Airlines lounge so I dragged my suitcase and compute up two flights of stairs (the elevator was broken) to be told nope the lounge is for VIP clients only but the airline could offer me a $100 credit, great, can I use that credit to pay the $50 day rate for the lounge? Well no.

So I dragged my suit down the 2 flights of stairs to Alaska Customer Service. The staff there was unable to help. No, we can't get you onto the lounge, no, no earlier flight. Sorry. I had to ask them if the leadership at Alaska Air was ask to go through what I am ask to go through today would some of their policies change? To those leaders I have to say: I feel very unimportant to you, insignificant even. Will I fly Alaska again? Nope, not by choice. Currently working at the Skillet restaurant and being taken care of by Malissa. She says I can stay as here as long as I want and move to a booth for more space when it opens up. Thank you Malissa!

Rachelle, pretty unimpressed with Alaska.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Alaska Airlines cost to change a ticket even in the 24 hour period of purchasing a ticket are unforgiving and expensive. There is no forgiving errors as in my most recent ticketing experience and cancellation as in the past ticket purchased in November. The procedure is to apply the fee cost to your credit card and then put the difference in your wallet is nuts. It's a lose, lose customer experience with Alaska Airlines so be aware and be prepared when purchasing low cost fares. Making a change is expensive. Fly Southwest whenever possible. You can buy the low fare tickets and make changes for no additional FEES. Yes, now that's a people friendly airlines. Plus you get to free bags.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

My wife and I purchased tickets in advance, 5 months, for a Seattle to Austin trip with return. The airline changed our flight numbers twice without consulting us which of course caused problems with all of our over plans. Our 2 dogs were boarded, our airport parking cost more and our rental car was more....etc. It’s not the money that bothers me....It’s when I called for an explanation the 15 year old on the phone offered “these things happen”...really it seemed like the CS employee was reading from a script and had no real knowledge of how to help anyone.

Not sure about Alaska Airlines?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Alaska Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

• Best for: Frequent fliers, business travelers, holiday travelers and vacationers visiting West Coast destinations and Alaska.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information