1.4/5 (31 ratings)

About Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I am disabled and require a wheelchair in an airport. My brand new luggage was busted and destroyed by Alaska Airlines when I received it from baggage claim on the 28th of August 2022. My flight was arranged by Salem Travel Agency in Salem, Il. I was unaware that baggage claim was to be done within 24 hours and no one was available at the counter to help me. I made the claim 2 days later after going thru numerous phone numbers did not work. And I was turned down because of the delay. What kind of customer service is this? My once in a lifetime trip was ruined because Alaska Airlines give very poor service at the desk and during baggage service.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

Alaska Airlines is the only airline that provide any direct flights to and fro between Seattle, yet their services are poor. Due to my child's illness I had to cancel my flight and customer care did not care if we still travel and get other people sick. We decided to cancel and the airline asked me to upgrade to Main Cabin in order to get 100% credit. Since the flight was well over 400$, I payed 750$ more to get all of it back but sadly airline kept $100 from this.

Please see I bought 2 tickets and that were $900 but I chose only get refund one ticket by paying extra 750$ (who would pay extra 1500$) and the airline still did not refund me 100%. They kept part of it. When I asked the agent about the gap, she ended the call on me. This is not fair. Not a great experience. This airline has cancelled flights 3 times of total 5 times, I have traveled with them. I think I still have not learned my lesson (as the agent on the call said - people do not learn lesson and pick cheaper flights, please see these days there are not cheap flights). These agents need some training how to deal with customers. It is not fun to lose money due to illness.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I’ve been saving mileage for retirement. Not long ago 20 thousand miles got you a round trip in continental US. My standard fare for Seattle to Philly was near $500 round trip. This Sean over $1200. I checked to use mileage. 90,000 miles round trip. Goodbye AlaskaAir. Another loyal customer disgusted with your changes.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

We booked 4 round -trip tickets from Portland to Kona for August 16-23 2022 with Alaska Airline and paid more for non stop and seat choice in April 2022. Then 2 weeks prior to our trip, Alaska Airline sent a message to us announcing our flights have been cancelled and rescheduled and that we had the right to cancel or to accept the new schedule. The new flights are 3 hours longer as we have to be transferred at Seattle. At this point, our Hotel had already passed the point of being refundable, so we had to accept it. The problem did not stop there. On the day before our trip, we tried to check in online but were denied. We called the Airlines and were answered that our Travel Agency "screwed up" by having not re-issued the new tickets for us. We called our Travel Agency and was informed they-the agency- had done everything.

We called the Airlines again. This time, after putting us on hold for 15', the airline agent came back to us and said, "Your travel agency did not do things right, but we fixed it. You can check in now." Then another problem: AA did not assign seats for us despite we already paid for seat choice. When we asked, the agent said," because you bought the cheapest, most restricted tickets." What a trashy business! If it is a different kind of business, they may not have a business to run.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

In light of the recent (and not so recent) bad press surrounding airline companies and how they handle passengers who use a wheelchair I would like to share my recent experience. My husband was medevacked from AK to Seattle and I, a quadriplegic, was obviously unable to accompany him and flew with my daughter the following morning on Alaska Air. Since being in my chair for the past 12 years I have heard nothing but horror stories from fellow chair users and have never had to fly. I was dreading it so much; my wheelchair is literally my legs, my mobility. The only thing that overrode my thoughts was the need to reunite with my husband.

I need not have feared. The boarding crew was patient and took all the time I needed to board. They transferred me to an aisle chair in the privacy of the access ramp before other passengers boarded. (I did fly first class to give us all extra room for transferring into my seat.) When the luggage crew came to get my chair we reiterated how absolutely essential my chair was and they listened and promised they'd do their best. After I was safely onboard the crew came up and reassured me the chair was safely onboard and was there anything else they could do.

Seattle airport was a bit different as they contract out the mobility aspect. There was a tad wait and then the crew came and took me off and I met my chair right outside the plane. The whole crew, including the pilot, flight assistants and luggage crew waited until I was in my chair and mobile again before us leaving the gangway. Everyone was so respectful and considerate. No way am I willingly going to fly in the future; why push my luck? But I do want to commend all involved on that, my first flight since being a wheelchair user. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Marion

Original review: July 28, 2022

Alaska airlines is operating a bait and switch scam. You book through Alaska and expect to fall under their polices but they share flights with American Airlines. As an active duty military member this makes a big difference for me. Alaska doesn’t charge military for overweight bags but American does. I was forced to pay extra fees to an airline that I DID NOT BOOK WITH!!! I purposely chose an airline so that I could have an overweight bag. Both airlines point fingers at each other but neither is willing to remedy the problem. This may be a good class action lawsuit waiting to happen!

Original review: July 25, 2022

Alaska ruined my friend group's vacation. We see each other once every few years, and this year was in Boise from July 23-27th. Alaska was by far the cheapest and they have a generally good reputation. Our direct flight from AUS to BOI was cancelled because of hydraulics problems after delaying us at the airport for four hours. That sucks, but it's not like they did it on purpose. The flight crew was clearly frustrated and Alaska was losing a ton of money by not having the plane in Boise. It happens. Airplanes are complicated machines.

Then Alaska "customer service" kicked in. There were three lines for rebooking. The agent that "helped" me said there weren't any flights available the next day on any airlines and we would have to wait until the 25th. This was a lie. I could find five different itineraries on my phone. The agent next to her was actively booking another party on one of those itineraries. When I asked her about this, she refused to answer and just said there's nothing available.

By complete coincidence, a friend of mine was on the same flight, and I she asked me to give her a ride home if she couldn't get rebooked, so I stayed around until she worked her way through the line. So I watched the three lines. Everyone that was "helped" by the agent who told me I couldn't be rebooked was told the same thing. Everyone in the other two lines were rebooked on other airlines. Our four day get-together is now one day.

Original review: June 17, 2022

The customer service from Alaska Airlines has been getting worse for several years, even before the pandemic. We paid the First Class ticket price for sake of space my husband needs due to his disability and size, yet our luggage was offloaded from the plane due to "weight imbalance." Two of the 4 bags we checked made it, but not the ones with our clothes and toiletries, but were finally "found" and flown back to Seattle from San Antonio, 3 days later- and brought to our home at 3 am by a third party delivery company.

We had spent many hours on the phone with the baggage claim division, and today spent more than 4 hours either on hold or with "customer care." Since the delivery of the bags, we were not even given an apology, so today after talking with 2 persons, I was told that $300 compensation could be used to upgrade my seat on an upcoming trip, but when I called reservations, it cannot be used to upgrade from Main cabin to the Premium seating as that has to be purchased with a credit card! I can use it on a new reservation and since the cost of flying has exponentially increased, I will not be able to use that "coupon" as it is doubtful we can afford to fly again, especially not First Class. I will not fly this airline again as I have lost my faith in both their promises and their customer care.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Bless the ladies that had to enforce this company’s terrible policies. With everything that has happened in the last two years, and dispute our best efforts to be communicative with Alaska Airlines, we were forced to donate the value of our 2020 tickets ($650) to a multimillion dollar company. We never got a flight because we could no longer afford one. Those with means to travel were rewarded while others hit hardest by the pandemic were forced to give up what little they had. We never got what we worked so hard to afford to begin with. It is criminal and I am heartbroken.

Original review: May 28, 2022

Bottom line for my first experience with this airlines. It was the worst experience. Spirit is better airlines. It should be more well known than Alaska airlines is not good one. The workers are not on par. I showed up an hour before flight and waited in line to get informed that they cannot board us at 39 mins and 40 was the limit. On other airlines there would be call out for flights and if time was running out they would bring you to the front to get you checked to go through TSA. There was not of that. And to make it worst there was one family behind us in the same predicament and they got rebook on an earlier flight that we were informed was full. They got taken care of before us and they were behind us.

Only good thing is that we got rebook, bottom side, for 5:00 pm flight and we been here since 6:00 am. And it’s currently 7:50 am. I’m strongly suggest that you avoid this airlines at all cost. because they were fully prepared to take your money for the tickets but not prepared to properly handle their inflow of customers leaving some to be sacrificed. The line was not moving, there was big language barriers, delaying the inevitable. Trust me, do not book with this airlines because you may face worst. I have a job and I should do it right. Spirit is not worst airlines because If I had book with them I would not had gotten skipped nor would I have missed my flight. Don’t believe me, try and see for yourself. You’ll be sorry.

Alaska Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information