2.16/5
Based on 53 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

249 Alaska Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

Last Friday (June 15), the whole family flew from San Francisco to Seattle for a big family reunion via Delta Airlines, and we never had any problems at all with our flight with Delta Airlines. But heading back home on Sunday (June 17) from Seattle to SFO via ALASKA AIR was a horrendous and stressful experience! The whole family, 7 of us, booked and paid for our airfares as far back as February. But when my brother printed out all of our 7 boarding passes on the day of our flight back home to San Francisco last Sunday, only 5 had assigned seat numbers, while my husband's & mine were left blank. At the gate, my husband & I spoke to the ground attendant/ticketing agent at the counter and questioned why our boarding passes' seat numbers were left blank. She asked us to step aside and told us she'll call our names later on.

Meanwhile, my sister had to remind the same ground attendant/ticketing agent twice about the aisle wheelchair she requested early on for our 96 year old mother with mobility problem. The aisle lift came very late; much, much later after the ground attendant announced that people in wheelchairs and families with young children can board. This ground attendant gave my sister an attitude after my sister reminded her the 2nd time about the wheelchair she requested for mom.

My husband and I watched as the ground attendant called passengers by zone to board, and saw the 5 family members boarded as each one of them waved and said, "we'll see you inside the plane." That's what we thought would happen, but we were all so wrong! Several times, in between zone-boarding, my husband and I would approach the same ground attendant to ask if she can give us our seat numbers, and all those times we were told to step aside and were told she would soon call our names.

We watched in despair and frustration as the door of Alaska Airlines flight # 1756, bound for San Francisco at 5:50 p.m. on June 17 closed, and left me, my husband, and another revenued-passenger who also got separated from his 2 family members on that flight, separated. After trying to plead many times to find us seats to a plane back to SFO that same night, the standoffish lady-attendant kept telling us that the only available flight she could put us on would be for the following day at 10:30 a.m. We said that would NOT be acceptable as my husband and I both have to be at work the following day (Monday), and that my husband has an important meeting that Monday, so it is imperative we need to fly back home that Sunday night. Also, we did NOT expect such a bad experience would happen, so we did not pack extra medicines for Monday, since we expected to be back home by Sunday night.

The attendant kept saying that was the only available flight she could get us -- 10:30 am the following morning. After much pleading and arguing over the counter, another lady (we believe she's much higher in rank) came over to the counter and started helping the ground attendant who was originally dealing with us. It was only then that we realized that the ground attendant who was helping us all that time did not have much experience, or must have been a new employee, as we overheard her tell the higher ranking staff that she was not aware that she could go into their 2nd and 3rd screens to look for available airlines.

After almost 2 hours of standing at the counter of Gate D2 in Seattle Airport, waiting for us to be re-booked for a flight back home to SFO on the same night, the higher ranking attendant finally found us seats for a 9:20 p.m. flight to Oakland airport that Sunday, and haphazardly handed my husband our boarding passes and a check for a small sum to compensate for our troubles. None of these attendants even apologized for all the grief and trouble they put us through, and both attendants had an attitude. They were abrupt and seem a bit impatient answering our questions. At one point, I felt the higher ranking lady snapped at my husband when answering his question.

Though we were found seats that same night and were given a small compensation, we would still rather have chosen NOT to get bumped off our original 5:50 p.m flight so we could be on the same flight with the rest of our family: NOT have landed on a different airport than what we originally booked for, as it was an inconvenience for a family member to pick us up at a different airport very late at night, and that airport is far away from our home: NOT get our family members who were able to board at our original 5:50 p.m. flight worried as to me and my husband being left stranded in Seattle, especially my 96 year old mother; NOT miss work the following day; and NOT put us through so much stress and tension over the whole ordeal of Alaska Airlines bad service of overbooking a flight and bumping off passengers who have booked and paid so many months in advance!

Truly, I have never encountered such a stressful flight experience until this recent flight with Alaska Airlines, I will not recommend this airline until their overbooking policy and having incompetent & rude staff service have been resolved. They have just lost 7 repeat future passengers, and maybe more, as we have been passing on word to all our relatives and friends about our bad experience with Alaska Air.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Worst experience ever in my life to check in & travelling from Seattle to DFW on Alaska Airline. 78 yr old person and people who paid extra money to be members of TSA didn't get the TSA precheck. Had to stand in general line for more than an hour. And after all that, Alaska Airline changed the gate number 3 times within the last 2 hrs. First C gate, then to N11 and then back to D4. Walking so much and changing the floors with luggage and a baby and then getting on train back and forth to go the the assigned gate was also horrible experience! Horrible!!! Horrible experience!!! If possible never travel on Alaska Airline.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

First, no one that speaks like a flaming gay man should be ALLOWED to make public announcements in the Anchorage Airport for any airline. It's totally unprofessional and is a big problem.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Very rude staff, not helpful. I know I got there late, but they refused to help me completely, they didn't even try to find another flight for me as I ask them. I went straight to Delta and they were ready to help. I got a ticket from Delta for the exact same time as my flight with Alaska and made it just fine. They did not issue a refund of course, because even though I showed up at the time that I could have made it to the flight they put me as "no show". That was my first and last experience with Alaska Airlines.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Alaska Air is the major airline servicing Alaska. Other airlines only have a few flights a day. So Alaska Air is always full, always crowded. As an Alaska resident, I have a few perks. One free bag (within Alaska). The flights are generally on time (within 10 minutes), but connecting to another Airline in Seattle, usually the first destination outside should never be planned too close. The Alaska Air Board room is very comfortable (in Anchorage) and a one day pass is included with a first class ticket.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: May 30, 2018

I use Alaska Airlines 2-3 times a year, and have really enjoyed flying with them. Their prices are reasonable, and the booking process on their website is very easy. They do offer an awards program, and you can boost your rewards miles if you get their credit card. The flights themselves have been pleasant - easy boarding process, and the planes have been clean. They frequently offer a free checked bag when flights are full, which I appreciate. Since they have merged with Virgin Air, they also offer much wider service, which is nice.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I booked this trip with my Expedia account in December 2017 to celebrate my birthday with my cousin in Costa Rica. MapQuest said it was 85 minutes from my house to LAX. My flight was at 8:35. Left my home at 5:00 AM. 10 miles before LAX the 105 stopped, then once near LAX traffic was backed up due to road construction, once at LAX it took 20 minutes alone to get around to terminal 6 where Alaska is located, walked in and met the kiosk (no humans in sight) and went to print my tag for the bag I had already paid for when I had checked in the day before.

Had my boarding pass and am TSA precheck so I figured I was good to go since the flight did not leave for an hour. The kiosk took a few minutes to negotiate and wound up just giving me error messages. I looked around and finally spotted an Alaska rep with a tablet helping people who came in behind me while I was trying to do the kiosk. I waited until he helped them and told him I was having problems with the kiosk. He looked at my boarding pass and said I just needed to drop off my bag and directed me to a line to the counters for bag drop off. By the time I finally got through the line to the counter the gentleman told me I was 10 minutes late to drop off my bag and he needed to ask the gate if it was OK.

He called and told the lady I was already checked in and just needed to drop off the bag. She said no. That ended my Costa Rica vacation trip for April 24. Needless to say I am horrified at this complete lack of concern and the fact that an arbitrary decision by a perhaps grouchy employee can affect a customer (second or third trip in the last year or two with you guys I think). I cannot think of any time I have felt that let down by any organization. I offered to walk the bag to the plane myself. I asked for a supervisor who just supported the gate's decision. Nothing was done by any Alaska staff, no one seemed too concerned my trip was ruined. I was just shown the door.

I stood out on the curb waiting for an hour for my ride to turn around and come get me (shocked that you did this, as are all my friends and family). While waiting I called 800 customer service and the lady just offered to rebook my trip. I did so and told her as a retired marine on disability that I don't get much and could not afford to pay more for the same trip so the only dates that worked are May 8-15. I got a credit back (I would prefer if you put it back on my credit card because I seriously doubt that I will use it, except to perhaps upgrade my last trip with you May 8 & 15). Overall I am dismayed, disheartened, and in general disgusted with what happened and how it went down. I thought it best to share this with corporate in the hopes it saves even one other person from having to feel the way I felt yesterday.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I flew from Bellingham to Maui in seat 6D, immediately behind first, where they have a sort of half-bulkhead separating the cabins. I stood up to let another passenger by, and cut my head on the metal edges of that unsafe thing. I wrote their CEO and CCO about it, you know what I got back? "I was very sorry to hear what happened to you on your flight to Maui. I certainly hope that the wound on your head has healed completely."

Original review: March 23, 2018

Charged $84 in advance for 2 premium seats from San Diego to Portland. However, the aircraft used did not have premium seats/service. Aircraft crew unaware that passengers had purchased premium seats/service. Contacted Alaska about refund and they replied they would respond within thirty days to the overcharge rather than providing immediate refund. Tickets and upgrade was purchased directly from Alaska Airlines and they control the aircraft. An immediate refund should have been provided - I am not a bank for Alaska Airlines. This is the third time in last year that Alaska has sold me premium tickets for flights that did not have premium seats/service.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Basically Alaska Airlines screwed up our entire itinerary that we worked VERY hard to get it were we wanted it. If I had a choice I would tell Alaska Airlines to cancel this flight and shove their airline where the sun does not shine. Massive layovers, late flights and getting in at 1:06 am. This is all ridiculous. Why bother with the time to make arrangements if they are just going to disregard them and make this as miserable as they can. I know Expedia has nothing to do with Alaska Airlines schedules. But I hope that you publish this somewhere that the entire passenger business can see this and be aware what a crappy airline they are.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Do not fly with this airline! After 30 years of international travel, this is the first time we have had items stolen from our checked baggage. They stole a very important piece of jewellery which I will never get back - they are dishonest! Yes, in hindsight, I should have had it in carry on, but it was my property and not for the baggage handlers to have free access to steal. I have photos of it before we left Cabo San Lucas and a very messy suitcase upon arrival in LA. DO NOT FLY WITH ALASKA AIRLINES!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Everyone is really nice and the pilots stand by the door when you enter & exit. They also come on during the flight and tell you about things we can see outside of the plane. One even gave us a choice about when we wanted to leave which got us home 30 minutes early.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I booked the plane tickets from SFO to Cabo San Lucas 6 months before my travel date. 2 days before boarding, when I looked at my tickets online, did I finally realized that Alaska had overbooked and bumped me off the flight. Instead, they added a stop to Seattle for me. Adding not only 4 hours to the total travel time, but I had to arrive at the airport 3 AM. I called and complained. Not only did I receive no explanation or apologies, they offer absolutely no compensation. I then raised my concern on their Facebook, but my comments were marked as spam by Alaska. VERY HORRIBLE PUBLIC RELATION MANAGEMENT. I heard they had good seats and good service, but none of that matters if they do not fly you on the flight you booked.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Just FYI, for people looking at using an Alaska Visa for flight benefits. I will try and Keep it short. First, it is not beneficial. Prices can be found for less on other flight search engine sites with much better flight times. Too many restrictions for use of miles. For instance, some overseas travel with Alaska and partner airlines, not doable. But if you search other engines for travel, Alaska comes up in the Northwest as a 1st leg Flight. If you have credit from a previous bump, well, that can't be used but only with domestic flights. So, for me. I'm done. I will use my credit and miles and then bye, bye Alaska. Not to mention, as other have, their seats are horribly uncomfortable and billing (to) and (from) legs independently is expensive.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I don't know where to begin with this airline. I live in Alaska and unfortunately I'm forced to use this subpar company frequently. Its rates are significantly higher than anyone else and their seating is so uncomfortable I have to bring a pad to make it through a three hour flight. Not to mention their so called companion deal "discount". What a joke, do the research yourself and watch the price come out exactly the same if you buy two tickets or use the so called discount. Not to mention I can use Travelocity and get the same tickets on Alaska Airlines for $300 cheaper. Absolutely unbelievable! If you can avoid flying this airline I would at all cost.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

My daughter and granddaughter had a scheduled flight on 12/25/17 from Portland to John Wayne Airport. When they went through security and were called by Alaska Airlines to board, they were told the entire flight had been cancelled. They and the rest of the customers were told it as due to the weather. However, all the other flights were taking off. Only their flight was cancelled. Children who were to spend the holidays at Disneyland and their parents were obviously upset. Alaskan Airlines lied to these customers when in fact the reason was because there was no one to de-ice the plane. I have never been not been with my daughter and granddaughter on Christmas. Shame on you Alaska Airlines... especially when you lied to your own customers.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Booking on Alaska recently. I was not aware of the $125 cancellation fees. We had a major change in our trips and had to cancel. Our original tickets were $114 thus leaving them worthless. Had I know about this I would have not flown Alaska Airlines. I have flown millions of miles although on another airline, so I am not an infrequent flier. I will never fly with them again and use Southwest Airlines without change fees. I have not kept up with Alaska but many years ago they were a good airline, not sure what happened.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I purchased my flight tickets online through the Alaska Airlines website. A few weeks later I responded to an ad to reserve a rental car through their website. They don't tell you that they will draw the insurance amount from your account, and when you go to pick up the car you will have to pay again for the insurance as well as an $800.00 debit card hold for the car rental. After waiting on hold for over 15 minutes I tried to explain this to the "customer service" person who disingenuously "apologized" repeatedly and told me that in five to seven days my insurance amount would be credited back to my account.

After waiting 25 minutes on hold I thought that she had hung up on me and not forwarded my call to her supervisor, but he eventually came on the line and gave the same disingenuous "apologies". The interesting reveal was that Alaska Airlines is overloaded with customer complaints so it takes a long time to get any response or service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have flown Alaska Airlines several times in my life and usually it's not a problem however this time is very different. I had made a trip to Bali but unfortunately they're having a natural disaster which is no one's fault and I completely understand that, however when they told us our flight was canceled when we were on the plane to Seattle from Portland we tried to get some answers on where our bags were, how we could get home and what we should do. And I kid you not the lady at the kiosk in the Seattle Airport told me, "you're out of luck. It's not our problem" and then she kept talking in circles and snapped at my friend when we try to explain that we are not trying to get to Bali now, we just want to get our bags.

We ended up having to rent a car for $200 and drive to Portland at night till 4 a.m. When I called the airline the next morning to try and find the bags they didn't know where they were, they said they are probably on a flight to Taiwan. It took us an hour to figure out that it was them who is in charge of our bags and that they have to get it back to us within the week hopefully. We still don't have them.

EVA Airlines was also involved in this and they kept sending us back and forth to the other airline and no one was giving us answers or wanting to help. We were not upset that Bali was cancelled. We understand that natural disasters happened. We were just wondering what we should do and they gave us the options "You can be stranded here or you can be stranded in Taiwan. Those are your two options but Taiwan is expensive this time of year so we suggest you get stranded here" also "Not our problem." Not making this up. I understand it was late and maybe it wasn't their problem but the way they did not emphasize or try and help us or talk us through it was disheartening and I would not suggest those Airlines.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

This is my first (and last) time I will book with Virgin Air/Alaska Air. I came from Honolulu on a late night flight. The flight crew, special attention to the lead Flight Attendant was beyond rude with a power trip indifference. I will not use this Airlines again. I'd rather give my money and take a Camel.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The airline did great. No problems, on time, nice crew. I have a good feeling about Alaska Airlines. I didn't crash so I guess I will fly with them again!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I made a mistake booking through Orbitz by adding my name twice instead of my husband's name. Orbitz would not change it and said it was Alaska Airlines policy to change. I called Alaska Airlines and they changed it no problem and they were very helpful.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

It's interesting that depending on if you are going out of Chicago you get 1 flight crew that is unhelpful, but in Houston everyone is helpful especially when traveling with babies.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

That will be my one and only flight with them. Never again. The one good thing was the pilot got us to our destination safely, but everything else, the seats, the awful food (if you could call it food) lack of in-flight entertainment, lackadaisical flight attendants were horrible. As an American, I'm embarrassed to have my country's name on the side of these planes.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I live in Alaska and Alaska Airlines has great deals for Alaska residents. Specials on Tuesday, two bags free. Also, if you use their Visa you get one two for one flight and airline miles for each dollar purchase. Mileage program is very good as well.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I flew round trip from SFO to MSP. The flights were fine. We left San Francisco from the international terminal, but returned to terminal 2. There are 4 terminal buildings at the SF airport. No one mentioned that we were returning to a different building. The person who picked us up assumed we would return to the terminal from which we left. There is nothing inside the terminal buildings to indicate what terminal building you are in. Thanks to cellular phones we finally connected with our driver. Since you leave and arrive using different buildings, it would be useful if the flight attendant announcing landing procedures would announce clearly which terminal is being used.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Customer service representative was very nice and understanding and gave me information on how to handle my issue. She was good at explaining best value for me when I had to cancel travel plans due to my husband’s sudden illness. Also thoroughly explained options.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

On time. Good service and luggage control. Free luggage with upgraded card and once a year companion special. Only problem are the walks from the tarmac to building of smaller planes.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

As with most airlines there are problems, but Alaska Airlines, has always provided excellent customer service to me, an individual with a mobility issue. I recently was able to get a reasonably priced ticket.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Short flight to Albuquerque from San Jose, connection in Phoenix. We were 1st class, but the way they do loading made it difficult to get to our place in line. Had to push through a gang of people to get onboard. Flight attendants were very good, plane was clean, seats OK for that length of flight.

Alaska Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

• Best for: Frequent fliers, business travelers, holiday travelers and vacationers visiting West Coast destinations and Alaska.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information