2.7/5 (108 ratings)

About Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

My flight from Sonoma Co to LAX on Dec 15th was delayed by 30+ minutes. I only had 30 minutes between arrival and my departure to Spokane and with the delay, was afraid I would be stranded in LAX with no connecting flight until the following day, so I decided to change my flight. When I contacted Customer Service, they were wonderful, compassionate, caring and polite. The young lady apologized for the delay, understood my fear and rebooked my on a flight on Dec 17th, with no charge for a flight I am sure was more expensive than my original flight. I travel the CA to WA route at least 6 times a year and I've always chosen Alaska simply because they are economical and they treat their riders with care and respect. Won't fly any other way.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I was trying to book flights for my son, grandson, and son's girlfriend, using my credit certificate, Alaska wallet funds, and air miles. I knew I needed help.

Linda in Phoenix walked me through each step to help me set up the flights. She was patient and so helpful. I wouldn't have been able to accomplish this myself. Thanks so much, Linda!!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

A last minute flight at a reasonable price. I flew in on a different airline so it's an easy comparison and as usual Alaska is far superior in its pricing and amenities. My one complaint is I wish they would not permit patrons to hog the overhead. I fly with one small backpack and am often forced to stow it away many seats away from my assigned seating which prevents me from easily accessing it for meds for example.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Alaska's customer service was extraordinary in our recent flight from SF to Boston. Honestly, we had screwed up our reservation, finding out that the flight we had booked had departed two days earlier! They busted their tails to get us on board a full flight, with seats together. (I don't know how they did that...) It was complicated by my wife's severely limited mobility, yet they just blazed us through with speed and courtesy. I always liked Alaska, but often price-shopped. Not any more, though, not any more.

Original review: May 20, 2022

They caused us to miss our connecting flight then refused to accommodate us a room. Even refused to help me and the wife's both 69 years old with medical problems even find a room for the night. Absolutely horrible service. Will never fly Alaska airlines again as long as I live. Pray their planes never get off the ground and screw over the public again. They had 200 people or more they screwed at Seattle airport on May 20th 2022. Name is Gene ** and this isn't the only place I will leave this message. In fact I will inform as many people in every social media is can find how rotten dirty scumbags run this company.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Booked a flight Edmonton to Honolulu via Seattle, less than 2 hours layover. Got to the Edmonton airport on the day of the departure and was told that we were put on an earlier flight from Seattle to Honolulu and that flight had already departed, prior to us boarding the flight from Edmonton to Seattle. We received no phone call or email advising us of any changes. We were then booked on a flight for the following day meaning that we are missing out on a day in Hawaii and have to spend a day and night in Seattle, going to/from the hotel, checking in, going through the security, etc. My nine year old is devastated.

Original review: April 20, 2022

We flew home on Alaska 3/21/22 from Palm Springs, paid to check 2 bags with them, when we picked up our luggage in Seattle one of our bags had 2 tears in it, and a sticker next to one of them. We thought perhaps they noted the damage for the record. I also had to return to work that day so we didn't have the time to file a claim at the airport. I called when I got home and filed a claim immediately. I was asked to provide photos the next day, which I did. I then didn't hear back until March 26th, only to offer an insincere apology and substandard decline of my claim due to unforeseen mishaps of ordinary handling?? I responded of course that this was not acceptable, and received no response. Again I responded on 4/8/22, advising at the very least they could offer a refund of my Checked bag fee of $30, since I only valued the bag at $30 to begin with. Finally I received a response today, this was their too bad, so sad response...

Nevertheless, I will not be flying with Alaska ever again as apparently $30 is too much for them to part with after damaging someone's property... "As our guest, you had every right to expect that your luggage would arrive in the same condition as you had checked it in with us, and I regret that we did not meet that expectation for you. We appreciate that you have submitted additional photos of your luggage. According to the remarks in your case, the photos of your bag were reviewed and the damage was deemed to have been due to ordinary baggage handling. Further, the damage did not appear to affect the contents of your bag or the functionality of your luggage.

It was discouraging to find that you felt that our determination was unacceptable and inconsiderate. While we are empowered to make independent decisions based on each customer's unique circumstances, we also operate with standard guidelines to ensure all customers are compensated equally and fairly. I have taken the liberty to review the photos in your file and must agree with the determination that the damage appears to be due to normal wear and tear from the baggage handling process.

As advised in our March 25th letter, regrettably, we are unable to assume responsibility for the damage to your bag. For more information regarding our Contract of Carriage, please refer to Rule 15. N. 1. at Contract of carriage | Alaska Airlines. While we are very sorry that your luggage was damaged, since the service of transporting your baggage to your destination was completed, regrettably we are unable to refund the checked baggage fee paid."

Original review: April 20, 2022

Hey Alaska Airlines! I'd like to know why the 2 tickets I BOUGHT and PAID for on Mar 26, 2022, Flight 746 Departing Seattle (SEA) Saturday, April 30, 07:15 am was all of sudden today, Tuesday, April 19, 2022, @ 2:05 PM CHANGED to an OVERNIGHT flight, Flight 260 Departing Seattle (SEA) at @11:05pm on Flight 260?

What you have done is really crappy because you are STILL, today 04/19 @8PM SELLING SEATS on MY original flight for over $1700. I've tried reaching you ALL day via Phone, which no one answers, and it eventually just hangs up after a few hours of on-hold music, and Chat, which indicates 45 minutes wait, EVEN 2 hours later.

What you are doing is not right, unfair business practice. You are disrupting everyone here and at my destination. I have plans, I keep them, and if I pay for a service, I expect to receive it as purchased. I was really happy when you flew a plane to Mexico, and boarded us US Citizens, for no charge, to return home after the hurricane. But after the last three (3) years of overbooking, cancellations, etc. it is obvious your service has drastically gone downhill... You're not here for good customer service or your Customers. I see a lawsuit arising in your near future for your continued dis-service to all of us service-paying citizens. I'd rather fly Frontier or Spirit at this rate.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I had to travel for my work as a ski coach, they broke a pair of cross country skis in a ski bag lined with a giant plastic pipe... (only on one of the three separate legs of the trip). I reported the damage, they denied responsibility claiming sporting equipment is not covered, even though they make you check it and pay extra for it. I have never been able to break my skis while transporting them, I don't know how they handle it to accomplish that. The worst part of the whole experience is not the loss of an $800 pair of skis, but dealing with rude, unhelpful representatives after waiting for hours on the phone who must get a kick out of giving customers the run around.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I reserved a one way flight for a family member from east to west coast. Family member had a medical issue and COVID at the same time. Although he tested negative for COVID, his physician called and said he should not fly due to return tests. I reserved a saver fare at 1:35 pm and the call came at 2:00 pm the next day. Since the website said the high call volumes were an issue and to go online and cancel or reschedule, that is what I did. I cancelled. Phone hold times were 9 to 10 hours. I emailed so someone else could have the seat. After calling and asking for a refund (due to medical) I was told that since it was a saver fare, no refund would be issued. I could have lied and said it was COVID-not sure if that would have worked, but I was honest with the medical issue.

The rep was not rude, she said she asked, but they would not refund the money. What I do not get, is if the flight was not taken, and I missed the 24 hour mark by 1.5 hours and could not have possibly have done it by phone, why would they not make an exception, as I was only 1.5 hours past the 24? They now have my fare and someone else's fare, and the pilots are on strike, so lots of people will be cancelling their flights. I will never fly Alaska again-they have proven they do not care about someone who was honest. I am just one person who made only 1 saver fare reservation, so it will not make any difference, but I will let my friends know-apparently honesty doesn't account for anything, only a checkmark in a box buying a higher ticket which costs more than I could afford with the insurance.

Alaska Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information