3.7/5 (317 ratings)

About Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

I understand the policies and procedures and all the current problems with airlines. However, the lack of empathy from company and customer service is beyond me. First customer service agent would not even help me look for my confirmation numbers to reschedule my flights as the email was unable to be located for confirmation. The second agent was nice. Helped me locate my confirmation. The destination of my flight two weeks from now has gone into war. I called to get flight credit stated I could not change my tickets. I told him I read the fine print and it stated if I could cancel at least 24 hours previous I could get credit. He "talked to his supervisor" and said he could give me flight credit after all but with a $200 fee. It's beyond ridiculous. Agent said "At least they're giving you credit. It's better than nothing". This will be my last Alaska Airlines experience I hope.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

If I could give them -1 stars I would, I booked flights a week in advance for my family friends that are Migrants-they were fully approved to enter US legally and I was playing a role as their translator. Flights from San Diego to Newark. Now two days before I got a confirmation to check in I did it for 5 people a day before, they get to the airport two hrs before their flight they get through clearance check and wait at the gate for 30min before boarding, I get a call from my friend and he's telling me they are holding him and his family up. They held them for 30 min. They were late to the gate and weren't allowed on the plane because their tickets already been sold to other people, I lost $1200. I made calls but like always they make ** Excuses up. If you would ask me what is the worst airline in US active right now it would be Alaska Airlines -1 stars!! (DO NOT BOOK FLIGHTS WITH THEM)!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2022

Yes, I'm one of the 2022 stranded Christmas passengers. I do get the whole weather thing. What I don't understand is the fallout. Why are flights getting cancelled several days out? Wouldn't you get more crews working, other airlines to help, pay overtime, etc...? Also, as soon as my flights were cancelled, all Alaskan agents disappeared from the airport. No one around to help their customers figure things out. So then you have a 8+ hour wait time on the phone, during which app flights have been booked 3 days out. They disabled chat so no go there. Missed Christmas with my family like so many others. Every time I booked another flight, they cancelled. My faith in this airline is shot. I ended up driving 15 hours home.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2022

First, I completely understand the overwhelming situation of these last few days. I’ve been trying to fly from Seattle to Milwaukee since 12/20. I’ve been on 5 flights, 4 of which have been canceled, and 1 is upcoming. Oddly, the only flights I haven’t been able to get on is the only 1 that actually take off this week and the 1 scheduled today. Both of these flights have shown seats available for purchase multiple times right up to departure, yet every time I manage to get ahold of someone (via text is the only way to reach someone) I’m told it’s sold out, even though I can buy a new ticket for the flight.

I can’t make any changes to my flight online because I have a in-cabin pet so buying a new ticket and canceling the old isn’t an option. I have to call or text. There’s an 8 hours wait time on the phone. The text option was better up until 12/23 when they stop responding to all messages. As I write this they are still selling tickets to the flight, but I can’t get ahold of anyone to get on the flight. There is still an 8 hour hold time on the phone and my texts have been unanswered since yesterday.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2022

We checked in (on-line) to our flight leaving on Dec. 24, 2022 (10:20am departure) at 7pm the night before. Approx. 15 minutes later Alaska Airlines sent us an email indicating that our flight has been cancelled due to freezing rain currently falling in Portland (our destination tomorrow afternoon). Apparently it takes longer than 15 hours to remove ice from a runway?! The forecast for Portland Dec. 24th has no mention of freezing rain. Since Alaska has no other flights on Dec. 24th, and all flights are booked for Christmas Day and the day after Christmas, we will have to wait 3 days to return home...and miss Christmas with our family in Portland.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

As I write this I have been in the Seattle Airport for 24 hours. Trip started with a challenging effort to find Alaska ticket counter in Miami (one gate with no sign and no attendant until a couple hours before the one flight per day with no seats in the waiting area). Arrived in Seattle only to find connecting flight cancelled due to lack of a crew. No service agent available when we were departing that plane meant we had to hunt for the one Guest Service counter still open at 11 pm. We were about fiftieth in a line of 100. Would have accepted the seats that came in over the app but there was no indication that we would get reimbursed for hotel and the downgrade from first class automatically made by the app so we waited in line only to be told such reimbursement would be automatic over the app (please say so on the app).

Three hours after landing we finally got out to hotel. Back this morning to catch the rescheduled flight. At the scheduled boarding time it was cancelled due to lack of a part needed for maintenance. App automatically booked us for middle of night tonight. We accepted but while we have been waiting two flights left for our destination. Why didn’t the app give seats on the next available flight? Now this third flight is showing delays. Although our original ticket was first class which would have allowed us to wait in airline Board Room lounge, the replacement seats are not so no entry into lounge and no day pass available. Overall a pathetic performance by what used to be our favorite airline.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

Today I showed up at 0927 and my flight was scheduled to depart at 1005. I was late due to a bridge going up and traffic. Needless to say, they got me through security and to my gate and made my flight.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

I booked a direct flight from Seattle to Tampa as I was traveling with a toddler who had never been on a plane before. I thought I’d be a good idea to get on the 9:45 - 6:00 flight so she could sleep through the night. I was also traveling with my elderly mother and a pup. Everything was going according to plan until we boarded the plane. The plane backed up, then announced we were going back to the gate as there was issues with the engine's air pressure, they said 10-15 min, after 1 hour, we get told it’s snowing hard and the plane needs to be de-iced, again they said 10-15, after waiting about 3 is hours on the plane we begin to move. We go around the airport only to turn right back and be told there’s something wrong with the atmosphere (something like that). We get told they don’t know what they’re going to do.

We get off to stretch, then get told around 1:30 another plane would make the flight, we get to the gate, wait for 45 min only to get told that the plane is not going anywhere, so we needed to go to the ticket counter to rebook. 2:30 we get in line, waited an hour didn’t even get to the counter when we get a text that they automatically rebooked a flight that leaves at 6AM. I didn't see it right away since I was holding my sleeping baby the entire time. I overheard other passengers about texts they received and I looked at my phone. Alaskan employees walked around asking if we wanted their crappy snacks, what a slap in the face! After that we have to go find our luggage, bring it back to the long line and check our luggage back in, go through the TSA line, this time the detector went off for some reason and they said they were gonna look for dope, they frisked me, took all my things apart and my daughter's stroller.

Then the detector said I was fine. We get to the get the gate and the Alaskan air employees said my pup was not on the reservation. After paying 100 dollars, they looked it up and found it, and noticed we all were not sitting together. I paid to pick my seats. She did what she could. I got to sit with my 2 year old but my mom sat behind us. They booked us to go to Chicago, wait 5 hours, and get on an American Airlines flight. We get to the gate 5 HOURS LATER, only to be told my pup was not on the reservation. They said they looked but couldn’t find her. I was too tired and upset to argue so I paid another 125 for the pup. This was an absolute nightmare. I will never fly with Alaska again. They can keep their 200 dollars off the next flight offer. I’m going home with Delta.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

I was traveling with oxygen for the first time, and upon check in on 10/25/22 for a flight from JFK to SFO, associate Mr. Erickson was very helpful. Our estimated 2 hour drive to the airport took 4 hours due to construction delays and we were rushing to catch our flight from NY to San Francisco. We had contacted Alaska ahead of time, but the type of oxygen tank delivered to us was different than what we had expected. Erickson was helpful in getting us checked in quickly and also helped us get to security quickly. Without his help we may have missed our flight. His customer service was very much appreciated. Also, the flight left on time and arrived early. We have had good experiences with Alaska Airlines.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I am disabled and require a wheelchair in an airport. My brand new luggage was busted and destroyed by Alaska Airlines when I received it from baggage claim on the 28th of August 2022. My flight was arranged by Salem Travel Agency in Salem, Il. I was unaware that baggage claim was to be done within 24 hours and no one was available at the counter to help me. I made the claim 2 days later after going thru numerous phone numbers did not work. And I was turned down because of the delay. What kind of customer service is this? My once in a lifetime trip was ruined because Alaska Airlines give very poor service at the desk and during baggage service.

Alaska Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information