3.77/5

317 Alaska Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

My wife and I took Alaska Airlines flight 783 from Newark, NJ to San Jose, California on March 19, 2019. Attendants in Premium Class were exceptional! Entire flight was a pleasure, and we look forward to traveling with Alaska even more! We make this trip many times a year and will always think of Alaska 1st! Keep up the good work, it certainly makes a huge difference! Thank you for a Great Trip!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have had nothing but good experiences with Alaska, which I use several times a year for business and recreational travel. They are always helpful. But this time they really exceeded expectations. I had a nightmare of a time with Travelocity when I changed a flight time (which I paid for). They made so many mistakes in my reissued ticket I was in despair. (Two examples, changed the status from economy to saver, changed the return flight despite my requesting it remain the same.) Every time I called I was on hold for an average of 3 hours. This went on for a week. Many promises that turned out to be lies. Finally I called Alaska Airlines. An agent answered right away and I explained. Even though they had no obligation to fix anything since Travelocity had issued the ticket, they still fixed the whole mess, no additional charge. I will book directly with them next time. I could have saved $125 by doing so.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

One of my friends tell me to have a booking with Alaska Airlines Flights, and I do the same. Trust me. I have a wonderful experience. I was traveling from Alaska to Mexico it was my first travel trip so, I was a little worried but to my surprise, I met with an Amazing experience. All the staff members were very helpful and the foods was my cup of tea. Very delicious and tasty. So I will suggest you all have a booking with Alaska Airlines at least once for a Wonderful experience.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Alaska Air is the major airline servicing Alaska. Other airlines only have a few flights a day. So Alaska Air is always full, always crowded. As an Alaska resident, I have a few perks. One free bag (within Alaska). The flights are generally on time (within 10 minutes), but connecting to another Airline in Seattle, usually the first destination outside should never be planned too close. The Alaska Air Board room is very comfortable (in Anchorage) and a one day pass is included with a first class ticket.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I use Alaska Airlines 2-3 times a year, and have really enjoyed flying with them. Their prices are reasonable, and the booking process on their website is very easy. They do offer an awards program, and you can boost your rewards miles if you get their credit card. The flights themselves have been pleasant - easy boarding process, and the planes have been clean. They frequently offer a free checked bag when flights are full, which I appreciate. Since they have merged with Virgin Air, they also offer much wider service, which is nice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: May 23, 2019

Counter to counter shipping is chosen because of unique needs. Pick an airline other than Alaska to provide that need. Alaska has failed to move a GoldStreak priority shipment more than once. I believe that don’t even care to deliver on-time. Tom

Original review: April 30, 2019

I flew Alaska on 4/23. I was returning home from a trip, my first flight being on 4/17. My first flight was full and as such it was a struggle to not only find a place to put my carry on, but also retrieve it from the overhead bins. They were so packed. On my returning flight, 4/23, to avoid this hassle, I checked my carry on, paying $30. While sitting at the gate an announcement came that the flight was full (just like the first flight was full, but no announcement was made on that flight) and they would be allowing people to check their bags for free.

When I asked the customer service person #1, why they didn't do that on the last flight I was on despite it being full and #2, if I could possibly get a refund since my previous experience is why I checked my bag in the first place, I was told no refunds. I reached out to customer service, and they also said no refunds since I chose to check my bag. If I had known, I would have just held on to it and checked it at the gate, but because I planned ahead I was penalized. I will never fly Alaska again.

Original review: April 29, 2019

If I could rate Alaska NEGATIVE stars, I would. This is a joke of an airlines that turns every flight into a day-long endeavor. I have flown Alaska 20+ times in the last year, and without fail, there is a 1-3 hour delay. EVERY SINGLE TIME. I've heard every excuse in the book - plane hasn't landed, plane needs a gas refill, plane isn't at the gate yet, no knowledge of air control traffic. EVERY TIME, I waste HOURS of my life waiting. There is no transparency at all throughout this entire process. I always have to ask security what's going on.

As customers, we are given absolutely no explanation as to what's happening, when the delay will be over. I've missed countless important events in my life due to the ridiculous inefficiency caused by Alaska Airlines. I will be boycotting this airlines and telling everyone I know NEVER to fly Alaska again. This is an offense to me, a waste of time to everyone around me, and downright disrespectful.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Catching a perfectly timed flight at the end of my children's spring break was the idea. Instead, a mechanical issue delayed our departure over 6.5 hours. No bad weather to blame. It's better to be safe than sorry, but to have no backup aircraft available on a delay that long is irresponsible. My children had to miss school Monday after arriving home at 5:00 AM. Alaska did not offer a refund, only a $75 towards our next flight purchase. No thanks Alaska.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I fly often for work. I'm usually on a plane at least once a month. I have been on Delta, Southwest, American Airlines, Spirit, and Alaska Airlines. I tried out Alaska Airlines because so many people from Alaska gave it great reviews and I was heading back and forth from Alaska. My experience with this airlines is terrible. They are honestly one of the worst airlines I have ever ridden with. They can't keep to the terminals stated on their boarding passes that they printed out at the airport. They are way behind on entertainment while traveling. They have terrible and incompetent customer service. I would highly recommend Delta Airlines or American Airlines. If you have any other option to fly something other than Alaska Airlines, please take those other options.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I flew first class to save my back. The food was not what I would expect in first class. No selection on one flight. Overcooked on another. The hot towels were not hot on one flight. The lack of consistency in service from flight to flight bothered me. I flew from MN to HI and back to MN. I won’t fly Alaska again if I fly first class.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Been a customer for twenty years. They have been rated very highly in various rating systems. They were a Western-based airline up until year 2000 when they began flights to Chicago. They have added numerous additional destinations in the South and East. Great airline.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Loved Virgin America. They have everything, newer planes, more comfortable seating, electronics, TV, great movies, wonderful food. No waiting, no delays, everything was run smoothly. I wish they flew other places I normally travel to.

Original review: March 15, 2019

My husband and I took Alaska Airlines home from Hawaii and it was the most horrible flight I ever was on, the crew was nice but the plane itself was awful. First of all they said they had WiFi, well my husband and I could not download the app in the terminal or on the plane. Then we get on the plane, no TVs WTF? So nothing to do for 6 hours, and there is no leg room and it feels like you're sitting on your next door neighbor's lap. And they didn’t have any free snacks except one cookie (Whoopie). If you wanted something to eat you had to buy it. I wouldn’t pay for airplane food just like I wouldn’t pay for hospital food. I don’t know when this airline is going to get with the times, TVs, WiFi and free snacks. JetBlue does all that even if you're on a 2 hour flight. So you won’t see me on any Alaska Airlines flight even if it were for free.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Alaska Airlines flies nice clean aircraft with great in-flight entertainment offerings. Routes between Hawaii and the West Coast are reasonably priced and offered at convenient hours. The cabin crews are professional and courteous.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I've had them be very liberal in genuine cancellation requests and waiving cancellation fees; I love their free checked bag with the Alaska Airlines mileage card and most of all, I love that their airlines are comfortable, with enough leg-space in economy and it doesn't feel like we are packed like sardines (read Spirit Air). What's more, Alaska Air always arrives on time or earlier!!!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Overall, we enjoy flying Alaska Airlines. The only difficulties that we've experienced have been as a result of winter weather in Canada. It is the only airline we fly domestically. Their rewards program is outstanding.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I love to fly with an airline that has employees who appear to love their jobs, who are polite, and who make flying enjoyable. They are often a bit expensive, but I am careful about when I fly, to keep costs down.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I purchased a "super-saver" ticket to Hawaii 10 days before the flight. The system denies the option of choosing an available seat in Economy class UNLESS I pay more!!! Shameful tactic!!! Now even though there were plenty of available seats I have to arrive earlier, make a line and wait for an agent to assign me a seat. I'm a frequent traveler with no bags to check in. Time to choose other! The guy who thought this tactic was a good idea is missing the boat at the time. There are now more and more Airlines to choose from. Next!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Alaska offers a great mileage program and free texting and messaging during the flight. The staff are friendly, and they promise to have your bag within 20 minutes of arrival or they give you your checked bag fee back.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Alaska has very good customer service and has good legroom in economy. I have ordered lunch and it was much better than I expected. I have never been disappointed getting seats using the miles program.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Alaska Airlines have some of the friendliest flight attendants around. They strive to give the best possible customer service of any airline. The food is much better than all other domestic airlines in my opinion. Very rarely do I ever run into a delayed flight.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I can take my golf clubs at no cost to me, and out of BWI to California. I can leave early out of BWI and arrive in California midday. Also if I want to upgrade my flight I can usually do that. I haven't had to pay extra for luggage. Just wish they covered more area.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Alaska Airlines has some of the best customer service in the airline industry. I have never had lost luggage, rude service, or flight delays for any other reason than weather. If I have a choice in which airline I will fly on even if they are not the cheapest, it is always hands down Alaska Airlines.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I purchased an Alaska Flight through Expedia. I did not read all the fine print on a saver fare. I have never canceled a flight before. I was called in for an emergency job, and could not fly the day booked, 24 days in advance. I called them and said I would need to leave the next day, and would purchase a one-way ticket happily. I was wondering if they could help me purchase a one-way ticket. The lady bluntly said "if you miss your first flight, whether you are late, delayed, or have a personal emergency, you will get nothing back no matter what. We can't help you. Would you like to cancel your flight now so we can resell it?" What this means is if you miss your first flight, they also cancel and resell your second flight back, and you can't stop them from doing that. This was absolutely not clear when purchasing.

It should be called the "don't do it unless you're broke and immune to emergencies fare." I did not even notice that I bought this type of fare. But I've been lucky enough never to have an emergency that required canceling. The customer service was very difficult to talk to. They pretty much start with a solid no, and then everything you say is ignored and answered with another no. Beware beware of the saver fare. Never purchase one.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I purchased saver tickets for a guest speaker we had coming up to Alaska. After purchasing the tickets the speaker had to cancel. We got another speaker from the same area leaving from the same airport and all I wanted to do was change the name on the ticket. I was even prepared to pay for the name change. I was told I could not change the name or make any changes at all, so Alaska Airlines gets to rob me of $558.00. I am utterly disgusted with the way they have set this up and they are relying on people to have to make changes so they can steal their money. Alaska Airlines you should be ashamed of yourselves and you are not worthy to carry the good name of Alaska. I will take this complaint to the highest authority.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I was put through hell by Alaska Airlines. They kicked me off of a flight because I asked the flight attendant if I could use the bathroom before takeoff because I had a slightly upset stomach... She told me that I would have to get on another flight because I was too sick. I was not too sick at all. They had no medical professional to evaluate me and were unable to get me a flight back the same day or to the same airport. I was forced to buy another flight with a different airline and they refused to reimburse me for it... It cost me a fortune to get home, I was stuck in Seattle airport all day. Didn't get back until the next morning and missed work... They also wouldn't deliver my bags to me after sending them to the wrong airport. The staff was rude and could've cared less about how I was being treated. Do not ever use this airline! Beth was by far the worst of them all. BEWARE!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

DO NOT fly Alaska! They do not care about their customers or their customer's families at all. Please don't say we didn't warn you. They stranded my husband in California due to a weather embargo for traveling animals. I got a baby mini pig for Christmas and my mother-in-law traveled with her to deliver her to me the first week in December 2018 and they let her travel in a pet carrier under the seat in the cabin. She was a cute little 1 lb pig. After getting her home my husband realized how much this baby pig enriched his mental well-being. He decided he would get a mini pig for himself as an ESA.

Come February when my husband went to pick up his new ESA we of course booked Alaska because we had a pleasant experience traveling with my pig. He gets to the Airport on Sunday the 10th of February for his 6:00 am flight to come home and they refused to let her travel in the cabin and said she would have to travel in the cargo hold. But, due to this winter weather there is an embargo and pets cannot fly in the cargo so he would have to leave her behind. Leave her behind...

This is a ESA for him due to the death of his sister with spina bifida, finding out his father has lymphoma and also having a tumor on his own spine as well. He provided them with legal documents 48 hours in advance per their request showing she is his ESA. They still said she will have to ride in cargo. This baby pig is 2 lbs and has absolutely very little fur. Not to mention they have snouts which like pugs can make it difficult for them to breath in these conditions. We were so concerned she would die.

There was an embargo due to the inclement weather. I called Alaska and spoke to a gentleman who said the embargo had been lifted at midnight the night before so he booked my husband on a flight for later that day. I called the airline back to try to discuss the pig being allowed to travel in the cabin. First I was called a liar and was told our original pig DID NOT fly in the cabin back in December. I told them to ask the flight attendants who were on that flight because THEY WOULD remember her. They all asked to see her as she was disembarking the flight. They were all so excited to see her.

I spent 2 hours and 22 minutes on the phone that morning with several Alaska employees, simply to be told she cannot fly in the cabin. Thank goodness I called back because come to find out the flight the first gentleman I spoke to had booked my husband on for later that day, didn't even matter because the embargo hadn't actually lifted as he had told me and would not be lifted until Tuesday the 12th of February. She also said due to the forecast for more storms that the Tuesday embargo may not even be lifted and could extend further than the 12th! They called my husband mid-day on the 10th and offered him a flight from San Jose to Seattle with a stopover in Oregon. He said no because we were still trying to come up with another plan to get them both home safely. He had high anxiety even thinking about the baby pig flying in the cargo hold.

We discussed me driving to pick him up but came to the conclusion the roads were just too dangerous to drive on in the mountains. Once we realized our only chance of getting them both home was for her to fly in the hold I called Alaska this morning, February 11th to find out if the embargo had lifted and to see if he could fly out sooner since he was already supposed to be home yesterday morning. They said the embargo hadn't lifted for Seattle but it had lift for Portland and that they could put him on the 3:15 or the 5:20 flight from San Jose. I told them I would talk to him really quick and give them a call back.

We decided we would do this to get him home to his family and that I would drive 3 hours to Portland to pick him up there. When we called back we of course spoke to a different person and they said if we wanted to do that we would need to cancel the current flight and book and pay for a NEW FLIGHT! The inconsistency with Alaska is off the charts. They don't care about their passengers. A company that cared would be more concerned about getting their passenger HOME safely instead of making more money on a new ticket.

So, he still has his flight booked for tomorrow but if the embargo doesn't lift he will have to remain stranded in California without him family. We used to fly Alaska EVERY weekend for 5 months when we first dated and even put Alaska Airlines on our wedding invite *timeline of when we met*. We flew them for our honeymoon and have flown with them every year when our family would travel back to San Jose for holidays and visits. My family will NEVER spend another dime with Alaska and I will tell every person I know of this experience in hopes they save themselves from a similar nightmare. I miss my husband so much. My kids miss their daddy. He traveled with one change of clothes because it was supposed to be a quick one day trip which is turning into days and possible week.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I flew into SeaTac on Alaskan flight 2588. It was delayed and I might miss my connecting flight. I saw a ramp that said gates C that went up and a hallway that had a door that said Kalispell and the door was open and a member of the ground crew was there. I asked him if this was the flight to Kalispell and he said yes. I said, "How do I check in?" And he said they could do it onboard because I had a boarding pass. The steward and stewardess welcomed me aboard. I was shown to my seat and the steward said he would call and get me checked in.

About 5 minutes later a woman in uniform boarded the plane and said I needed to leave the aircraft so I got up and left with her. She then advised me of the correct procedure, and I said, "Ok can I check in?" She said no because I created a security breach, she said she would get me a flight tonight or early tomorrow morning but I had to go to CS and get a flight. I am now on a standby list, go 10:50 am tomorrow or confirmed on a 9:45 pm flight tomorrow night. My reason for this travel is for me to go to Kalispell to take care of my son's kids while he's in the VA hospital where he is supposed to fly out at 2 pm to get there. I am now stuck at SeaTac for who knows how long. Alaska Airlines, your CS is unacceptable.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

They take no responsibility for the decision made and put on the customer. Cost me roughly 500 dollars in extra fees not once but twice. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. They well not get me a 3rd time. Do yourself a favor and fly with another airline.

Alaska Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

• Best for: Frequent fliers, business travelers, holiday travelers and vacationers visiting West Coast destinations and Alaska.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information