2.03/5

311 Alaska Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

I flew first class to save my back. The food was not what I would expect in first class. No selection on one flight. Overcooked on another. The hot towels were not hot on one flight. The lack of consistency in service from flight to flight bothered me. I flew from MN to HI and back to MN. I won’t fly Alaska again if I fly first class.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Been a customer for twenty years. They have been rated very highly in various rating systems. They were a Western-based airline up until year 2000 when they began flights to Chicago. They have added numerous additional destinations in the South and East. Great airline.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Loved Virgin America. They have everything, newer planes, more comfortable seating, electronics, TV, great movies, wonderful food. No waiting, no delays, everything was run smoothly. I wish they flew other places I normally travel to.

Original review: March 15, 2019

My husband and I took Alaska Airlines home from Hawaii and it was the most horrible flight I ever was on, the crew was nice but the plane itself was awful. First of all they said they had WiFi, well my husband and I could not download the app in the terminal or on the plane. Then we get on the plane, no TVs WTF? So nothing to do for 6 hours, and there is no leg room and it feels like you're sitting on your next door neighbor's lap. And they didn’t have any free snacks except one cookie (Whoopie). If you wanted something to eat you had to buy it. I wouldn’t pay for airplane food just like I wouldn’t pay for hospital food. I don’t know when this airline is going to get with the times, TVs, WiFi and free snacks. JetBlue does all that even if you're on a 2 hour flight. So you won’t see me on any Alaska Airlines flight even if it were for free.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Alaska Airlines flies nice clean aircraft with great in-flight entertainment offerings. Routes between Hawaii and the West Coast are reasonably priced and offered at convenient hours. The cabin crews are professional and courteous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: March 13, 2019

I've had them be very liberal in genuine cancellation requests and waiving cancellation fees; I love their free checked bag with the Alaska Airlines mileage card and most of all, I love that their airlines are comfortable, with enough leg-space in economy and it doesn't feel like we are packed like sardines (read Spirit Air). What's more, Alaska Air always arrives on time or earlier!!!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Overall, we enjoy flying Alaska Airlines. The only difficulties that we've experienced have been as a result of winter weather in Canada. It is the only airline we fly domestically. Their rewards program is outstanding.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I love to fly with an airline that has employees who appear to love their jobs, who are polite, and who make flying enjoyable. They are often a bit expensive, but I am careful about when I fly, to keep costs down.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I purchased a "super-saver" ticket to Hawaii 10 days before the flight. The system denies the option of choosing an available seat in Economy class UNLESS I pay more!!! Shameful tactic!!! Now even though there were plenty of available seats I have to arrive earlier, make a line and wait for an agent to assign me a seat. I'm a frequent traveler with no bags to check in. Time to choose other! The guy who thought this tactic was a good idea is missing the boat at the time. There are now more and more Airlines to choose from. Next!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Alaska offers a great mileage program and free texting and messaging during the flight. The staff are friendly, and they promise to have your bag within 20 minutes of arrival or they give you your checked bag fee back.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Alaska has very good customer service and has good legroom in economy. I have ordered lunch and it was much better than I expected. I have never been disappointed getting seats using the miles program.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Alaska Airlines have some of the friendliest flight attendants around. They strive to give the best possible customer service of any airline. The food is much better than all other domestic airlines in my opinion. Very rarely do I ever run into a delayed flight.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I can take my golf clubs at no cost to me, and out of BWI to California. I can leave early out of BWI and arrive in California midday. Also if I want to upgrade my flight I can usually do that. I haven't had to pay extra for luggage. Just wish they covered more area.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Alaska Airlines has some of the best customer service in the airline industry. I have never had lost luggage, rude service, or flight delays for any other reason than weather. If I have a choice in which airline I will fly on even if they are not the cheapest, it is always hands down Alaska Airlines.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I purchased an Alaska Flight through Expedia. I did not read all the fine print on a saver fare. I have never canceled a flight before. I was called in for an emergency job, and could not fly the day booked, 24 days in advance. I called them and said I would need to leave the next day, and would purchase a one-way ticket happily. I was wondering if they could help me purchase a one-way ticket. The lady bluntly said "if you miss your first flight, whether you are late, delayed, or have a personal emergency, you will get nothing back no matter what. We can't help you. Would you like to cancel your flight now so we can resell it?" What this means is if you miss your first flight, they also cancel and resell your second flight back, and you can't stop them from doing that. This was absolutely not clear when purchasing.

It should be called the "don't do it unless you're broke and immune to emergencies fare." I did not even notice that I bought this type of fare. But I've been lucky enough never to have an emergency that required canceling. The customer service was very difficult to talk to. They pretty much start with a solid no, and then everything you say is ignored and answered with another no. Beware beware of the saver fare. Never purchase one.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I purchased saver tickets for a guest speaker we had coming up to Alaska. After purchasing the tickets the speaker had to cancel. We got another speaker from the same area leaving from the same airport and all I wanted to do was change the name on the ticket. I was even prepared to pay for the name change. I was told I could not change the name or make any changes at all, so Alaska Airlines gets to rob me of $558.00. I am utterly disgusted with the way they have set this up and they are relying on people to have to make changes so they can steal their money. Alaska Airlines you should be ashamed of yourselves and you are not worthy to carry the good name of Alaska. I will take this complaint to the highest authority.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I was put through hell by Alaska Airlines. They kicked me off of a flight because I asked the flight attendant if I could use the bathroom before takeoff because I had a slightly upset stomach... She told me that I would have to get on another flight because I was too sick. I was not too sick at all. They had no medical professional to evaluate me and were unable to get me a flight back the same day or to the same airport. I was forced to buy another flight with a different airline and they refused to reimburse me for it... It cost me a fortune to get home, I was stuck in Seattle airport all day. Didn't get back until the next morning and missed work... They also wouldn't deliver my bags to me after sending them to the wrong airport. The staff was rude and could've cared less about how I was being treated. Do not ever use this airline! Beth was by far the worst of them all. BEWARE!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

DO NOT fly Alaska! They do not care about their customers or their customer's families at all. Please don't say we didn't warn you. They stranded my husband in California due to a weather embargo for traveling animals. I got a baby mini pig for Christmas and my mother-in-law traveled with her to deliver her to me the first week in December 2018 and they let her travel in a pet carrier under the seat in the cabin. She was a cute little 1 lb pig. After getting her home my husband realized how much this baby pig enriched his mental well-being. He decided he would get a mini pig for himself as an ESA.

Come February when my husband went to pick up his new ESA we of course booked Alaska because we had a pleasant experience traveling with my pig. He gets to the Airport on Sunday the 10th of February for his 6:00 am flight to come home and they refused to let her travel in the cabin and said she would have to travel in the cargo hold. But, due to this winter weather there is an embargo and pets cannot fly in the cargo so he would have to leave her behind. Leave her behind...

This is a ESA for him due to the death of his sister with spina bifida, finding out his father has lymphoma and also having a tumor on his own spine as well. He provided them with legal documents 48 hours in advance per their request showing she is his ESA. They still said she will have to ride in cargo. This baby pig is 2 lbs and has absolutely very little fur. Not to mention they have snouts which like pugs can make it difficult for them to breath in these conditions. We were so concerned she would die.

There was an embargo due to the inclement weather. I called Alaska and spoke to a gentleman who said the embargo had been lifted at midnight the night before so he booked my husband on a flight for later that day. I called the airline back to try to discuss the pig being allowed to travel in the cabin. First I was called a liar and was told our original pig DID NOT fly in the cabin back in December. I told them to ask the flight attendants who were on that flight because THEY WOULD remember her. They all asked to see her as she was disembarking the flight. They were all so excited to see her.

I spent 2 hours and 22 minutes on the phone that morning with several Alaska employees, simply to be told she cannot fly in the cabin. Thank goodness I called back because come to find out the flight the first gentleman I spoke to had booked my husband on for later that day, didn't even matter because the embargo hadn't actually lifted as he had told me and would not be lifted until Tuesday the 12th of February. She also said due to the forecast for more storms that the Tuesday embargo may not even be lifted and could extend further than the 12th! They called my husband mid-day on the 10th and offered him a flight from San Jose to Seattle with a stopover in Oregon. He said no because we were still trying to come up with another plan to get them both home safely. He had high anxiety even thinking about the baby pig flying in the cargo hold.

We discussed me driving to pick him up but came to the conclusion the roads were just too dangerous to drive on in the mountains. Once we realized our only chance of getting them both home was for her to fly in the hold I called Alaska this morning, February 11th to find out if the embargo had lifted and to see if he could fly out sooner since he was already supposed to be home yesterday morning. They said the embargo hadn't lifted for Seattle but it had lift for Portland and that they could put him on the 3:15 or the 5:20 flight from San Jose. I told them I would talk to him really quick and give them a call back.

We decided we would do this to get him home to his family and that I would drive 3 hours to Portland to pick him up there. When we called back we of course spoke to a different person and they said if we wanted to do that we would need to cancel the current flight and book and pay for a NEW FLIGHT! The inconsistency with Alaska is off the charts. They don't care about their passengers. A company that cared would be more concerned about getting their passenger HOME safely instead of making more money on a new ticket.

So, he still has his flight booked for tomorrow but if the embargo doesn't lift he will have to remain stranded in California without him family. We used to fly Alaska EVERY weekend for 5 months when we first dated and even put Alaska Airlines on our wedding invite *timeline of when we met*. We flew them for our honeymoon and have flown with them every year when our family would travel back to San Jose for holidays and visits. My family will NEVER spend another dime with Alaska and I will tell every person I know of this experience in hopes they save themselves from a similar nightmare. I miss my husband so much. My kids miss their daddy. He traveled with one change of clothes because it was supposed to be a quick one day trip which is turning into days and possible week.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I flew into SeaTac on Alaskan flight 2588. It was delayed and I might miss my connecting flight. I saw a ramp that said gates C that went up and a hallway that had a door that said Kalispell and the door was open and a member of the ground crew was there. I asked him if this was the flight to Kalispell and he said yes. I said, "How do I check in?" And he said they could do it onboard because I had a boarding pass. The steward and stewardess welcomed me aboard. I was shown to my seat and the steward said he would call and get me checked in.

About 5 minutes later a woman in uniform boarded the plane and said I needed to leave the aircraft so I got up and left with her. She then advised me of the correct procedure, and I said, "Ok can I check in?" She said no because I created a security breach, she said she would get me a flight tonight or early tomorrow morning but I had to go to CS and get a flight. I am now on a standby list, go 10:50 am tomorrow or confirmed on a 9:45 pm flight tomorrow night. My reason for this travel is for me to go to Kalispell to take care of my son's kids while he's in the VA hospital where he is supposed to fly out at 2 pm to get there. I am now stuck at SeaTac for who knows how long. Alaska Airlines, your CS is unacceptable.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

They take no responsibility for the decision made and put on the customer. Cost me roughly 500 dollars in extra fees not once but twice. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. They well not get me a 3rd time. Do yourself a favor and fly with another airline.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I paid for an upgrade for first class coming back from Baltimore, MD. Nowhere during the booking process does it state that we have to call within 24 hours to claim. I called five days ahead of the flight and the customer service agent (Jasmine **) tells me that they will not refund the difference. Furthermore, she was very rude, stated that "this happens all the time" regarding my situation, and laughs at me. When I ask her what is so funny she tells me that she is not being rude by doing that. Alaska in the beginning was good, but their service is starting to turn into their large carrier counterparts. Jasmine....karma is a you know what!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have had nothing but good experiences with Alaska, which I use several times a year for business and recreational travel. They are always helpful. But this time they really exceeded expectations. I had a nightmare of a time with Travelocity when I changed a flight time (which I paid for). They made so many mistakes in my reissued ticket I was in despair. (Two examples, changed the status from economy to saver, changed the return flight despite my requesting it remain the same.) Every time I called I was on hold for an average of 3 hours. This went on for a week. Many promises that turned out to be lies. Finally I called Alaska Airlines. An agent answered right away and I explained. Even though they had no obligation to fix anything since Travelocity had issued the ticket, they still fixed the whole mess, no additional charge. I will book directly with them next time. I could have saved $125 by doing so.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We boarded Alaska Air in Spokane, Washington on Monday Feb 4 at 12:55 Pm. Arrived in Reno February 5 and were able to leave the airport at 7 pm. This would have been a 12 hour drive. Our skis took another day. We dealt with numerous Alaskan Agents in Spokane, Seattle, Portland and Reno. Most were not in the slightest concerned that people were waiting for hours or days. Two were apologetic but defeated and exhausted, one was competent. The vast majority were slow and totally unconcerned about the chaos engulfing their Headquarters and other airports of the carrier. Stay away from this airline, cancellations can come at any time with no reasons given. Late departures seem to be the norm. No one cares about passengers.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

2/6/19 flight from Minnesota, weather horrible but no problems leaving. Flight 39 tells passengers we are early 835am getting to Seattle to catch connecting flights. Plane sat on tarmac 25 minutes before taxing in at gates. Had to from gate N to gate C which the trans will not take you to. I have a heart problem with breathing trouble yet I still ran to try and get to plane that was still at gate. And I was told they would call to inform them about people being late. They would not let us on plane even though it was Alaska Airlines' fault. We paid good money for very poor service.

I requested to speak to management when they changed me to a flight 5 hrs later. Manager would not even come to speak to me. Lots of angry passengers at Alaska airlines customer services all having to rebook and running through airport to get to gates. This airline has very poor service and the customers are suffering the consequences. PUT THIS AIRLINES OUT OF BUSINESS. HOW MUCH MORE ARE WE TO PUT UP WITH. I will never fly with Alaskan Airlines again and will stress to family and friends not to either. Then they have the NERVE to try and get you to apply for their credit card, WHAT NERVES. Extremely disgruntled passenger from Minneapolis Minnesota.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We had tickets to Hawaii for January of 2018. I came down with a very serious flu and we had to cancel our flight. Alaska said they would save our tickets for us and we could use them within the year. We thought "How nice! We didn't lose the two $500.00 tickets to Hawaii and we can use them later." although we thought $500.00 to Maui from Los Angeles was a bit stiff. When we called later to use the tickets for the following November, we were told the fare was now $800.00 so we had to add another $300.00!

In October, I fell and cracked four ribs which made it impossible to make the trip to Maui. So Alaska said, "No problem as long as you use them before the end of 2019" We then planned our trip for February and thought we'd finally use the tickets. They said we would be charged $400.00 to use them. Added up, that comes to $2,000.00 to get from Los Angeles to Maui and back. My husband said, "Forget Alaskan, we'll pay $300.00 and go on Hawaiian Air."

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

@ 11 am 01/17/2019 @ Customer Service Alaska desk @ Seattle airport. There was a schedule change to my flight and I was notified of it. I walked up to the customer service desk, ask if I could be moved to an earlier flight. The staff was rude in explaining that the schedule change was not the airline's fault and said that it would cost me $50 to change the flight. Her attitude and tone of voice was disrespectful and degrading when that was not necessary. I would never fly Alaska again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My Emotional Support dogs and I were put off of our flight home this evening because I warned the flight attendant that my dog would cry once I zipped the carrier. MY DOG WAS NOT MAKING ANY NOISE. Neither of my dogs made a peep during the whole fiasco. The flight attendant LIED and called the supervisor to come "tell me the rules". I have 100% legal documentation for both dogs, which was provided to Alaska Airlines when we flew out to Seattle, when they let BOTH of my dogs fly as Emotional Support Animals.

After being put off the plane, the Customer Service Agent told me to falsify documentation so that both dogs could fly. I found this to be stellar information provided to a travel nurse who was merely trying to go back home. The worst part, as if the whole situation isn't bad enough, is that my grown daughter was flying with me, and was holding one of the dogs which I paid the $100 pet in cabin fee for. Good thing tomorrow is Monday and I can go have a doctor falsify those records for me so the dogs and I can go home. It actually pains me that Alaska Airlines is forcing me to be unethical just so I can get back home.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Alaskan airlines, worst ever. In a small regional airport Alaskan Airlines require you to check in 2hrs prior to departure, at an airport that has one coffee shop and one convenience nook. I arrived 1hr prior and check in was closed (keep in mind the context of getting through security in 3mins) and one terminal 100 mtrs long. No staff to help. No advance notice to arrive 2hrs prior, no phone number that answered. Nothing. They have one staff member in Kelowna that does everything causing them to set unreasonable restrictions on check in. They registered me as a ‘no-show’ despite getting to check in 1hr prior to departure. Careful. They are part of the Qantas routes in Canada. AVOID at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I took a flight for Christmas and would have had an okay experience had it not been for our flight attendant Diana. I just needed water for my son and asked the stewardess not once or twice, but three times. This woman kept getting distracted chatting away with her coworkers and when I stopped her for the third time because it was taking longer than it should have she gave me an angry attitude saying she was already going to bring it. I should not have even had to ask a third time for water much less be given attitude. It ruined the entire experience as I felt like I was treated disrespectfully. People like their stewardess Diana shouldn't even have jobs where they have to work with customers.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

After arriving one hour ahead of time for a flight from LAX to PDX (Portland, OR) gate attendants refused to allow me board the plane for no good reason and as such tried to EXTORT another $277.00 flight change fee. I had two choice words for them. ** off. There were four others not allowed without explanation or accommodation for a later flight, just a piece of paper that had a number to call.

When you call it sounds like a ROBOT with no reasoning skill or customer service ability. JUST we want more money and you should be thankful. I called Spirit Airlines who charge me $79.00 for the same flight. I used to fly Alaska but WTF. I don't like getting extort out of money from any company. Simply just a way for ALASKA AIRLINES to collect millions of dollars while sticking it to us customers. Felt more like a hostage rather than customer.

Alaska Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

• Best for: Frequent fliers, business travelers, holiday travelers and vacationers visiting West Coast destinations and Alaska.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information