3.34/5

Looking for a travel site?

Alaska Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

Alaska Airlines Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

On flight 585 of Tuesday 10/10 2019 the flight of 10:50 from San Diego to Portland Oregon, a most compassionate pilot considered my plea to go gently on the descent. I am one of those people who has a very painful experience at the time the plane begins its descent and suffer the pain until the time of landing. I am beyond using nasal spray chewing gum or yawning for relief. Seriously considering to never fly again.

As usual, long before I detected the sound of the engine as the plane began its descent, I took several ** tablets anticipating to at least feel the pressure in my eardrums. But this time I could hear that the descent was in progress earlier than the usual 20 minutes before the schedule landing, and to my surprise there was no change in the cabin pressure. For the first time in years I had no pain whatsoever, all because of the kindness of a compassionate pilot who considered a need and decided that he can help. He agreed to begin the decent a little early, and my appreciation is beyond words.

Even the walls of my empty plastic water bottle did not squeeze into themselves under the usual powerful cabin pressure. If you never felt a little of this pain you would hope a pilot as the one who flew this flight would be your pilot too. I finally found out that yes, it is possible to start the descent earlier, it is possible to have a gentle descent and even reach your destination early as we did this time.

This is an appeal to all pilots everywhere. Please know that when babies cry at the time of the plane descends, adults cry also, and I am not the only one. Consider yourselves fortunate if cabin pressure does not affect you to this end. Thank you to the pilot who listened to my plea and made my flight peaceful. Sincerely, Emerald **.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

My husband and I have flown Alaska Airlines before and have been very happy with the service. Recently we had to postpone our trip due to a family emergency. I was told that the fair I booked was not refundable, understanding I still asked to explain. When explained that my sister in law had taken a turn for the worst and that we were primary caregivers, the reservationist gave us a full refund, I have not been to Fairbanks to see my daughter in three years, but felt the need to stay at home, Imagine my surprise @ reservations saying how sorry she was for the pain we are going through. Thank you for caring. Susan, you were awesome that day and I appreciate the card.!!! DeAnn

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Even though some gentleman at the counter for customer service rescheduled me to a much later flight because we got couldn’t get thru security on time since some of my personal items were lost. I called customer service on the phone about a issue, they told me to get in line and a hold of any attendant who could fix it. Although there was a long line due to pets checking in, an attendant Monica was efficient and helped my daughter and me, rapidly understanding the situation. She solved the problem right away with care and attentiveness. I will fly on Alaska more often on every trip I take just because of the good employees working for the airline who show experience and who care like Monica did.

Original review: March 20, 2019

My wife and I took Alaska Airlines flight 783 from Newark, NJ to San Jose, California on March 19, 2019. Attendants in Premium Class were exceptional! Entire flight was a pleasure, and we look forward to traveling with Alaska even more! We make this trip many times a year and will always think of Alaska 1st! Keep up the good work, it certainly makes a huge difference! Thank you for a Great Trip!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have had nothing but good experiences with Alaska, which I use several times a year for business and recreational travel. They are always helpful. But this time they really exceeded expectations. I had a nightmare of a time with Travelocity when I changed a flight time (which I paid for). They made so many mistakes in my reissued ticket I was in despair. (Two examples, changed the status from economy to saver, changed the return flight despite my requesting it remain the same.) Every time I called I was on hold for an average of 3 hours. This went on for a week. Many promises that turned out to be lies. Finally I called Alaska Airlines. An agent answered right away and I explained. Even though they had no obligation to fix anything since Travelocity had issued the ticket, they still fixed the whole mess, no additional charge. I will book directly with them next time. I could have saved $125 by doing so.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Recently took a trip to Rockland Maine and was very concerned with the attitude of their flight attendants. They were quite rude and not helpful at all. When they would pass by going back to the galley and you ask for something, they'd just ignored us! Flying back I flew American Airlines and the crew was amazing, and I will only choose them for future flights!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Incredibly disappointed with Alaska Airlines. My partner and I were scheduled for a flight to Bozeman, Montana, however our flight got delayed from Portland, Oregon to Seattle, Washington which left us running to our connecting flight. None of the Alaska flight attendants offered us help and just said, “good luck. Hope you all make it.”

Unfortunately, four members on this connecting flight, including ourselves, did not make it due to that flight closing the doors before 9:15 when it was scheduled to leave at 9:30. From there we scrambled to catch a 9:50pm flight (which also got delayed) to Billings, a location 2 hours away from our original destination. It was imperative that we make any flight that night to Montana. As a result, we arrived in Billings, Montana after 1 AM and had to book a rental car for over double our original reservation price in Bozeman. We were reserved with Enterprise for $140 but had to pay Hertz $400 since that was the only company open at our arrival. We then had to then drive 2 hours to get to our hotel.

That wasn’t it folks, on our returning flight from Bozeman to Portland, our flight was delayed again for an hour and we missed our connecting flight in Seattle to Portland. AGAIN. Arriving near midnight last night. Poor communication, “we think you all will be fine with your connecting flights” they said at the terminal. Not true.

Per customer care because this was an air traffic control problem they gave us a “generous” voucher of $75 which can’t even go towards the car rental expense. They mentioned even if we stayed in Seattle for the night we would have had to pay for our own hotel accommodations and they wouldn’t have been able to help us cover that expense. I find that insane that they wouldn’t make things right for the customer. My partner & I have been loyal Alaska frequent fliers and after this incident & the way we’ve been treated, we no longer want to fly with them. It’s very upsetting as none of this was our fault.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Jan 2018 The first time I called the representative was rude and told me that Alaska would not take a doctor's note to change my flight due to the fact that I was on antibiotics for bronchitis and asthma. Retired nurse step-mom did not want me to travel to Oregon with the air warnings and fires. The third time I called finally the agent changed my flight but had an additional charge to fly 6 hour drive flight is was double the cost, than to fly from California to Oregon, go figure plus change fees, baggage cost and lack of customer service.

Then to make matters worse the day of the flight, we attempted to check on the computers as the line for the agent was out the door but it wouldn't let me check in I guess there's a time cut off. Usually when I fly Southwest as long as you make it to the plane before the doors shut, you get on. Alaska wouldn't let me check in and we had plenty of time to make it to the gate and plane approximately 55 minutes once we got to an actual agent but she refused to let us get our boarding passes so we had to rebook to a flight 4 hours later and pay YET ANOTHER $50 pp.

To make matters worse the agent was not sincere or apologetic. She was cold and I felt like she enjoyed being nasty. I will never fly Alaska. I even wrote into customer relations within their company but they blatantly stated they do not consider disabled people or consider a doctor's note. I just cannot wrap my head around the lack of consideration for me and the situation I had no control over. I fly southwest often and their policies are a lot more customer service oriented. I feel like no one had any concern or customer concern for this unfortunate situation. I would have liked to be honored my flight changed so that visit my family in Oregon without paying triple the cost. We still ended up getting screwed. Not a happy customer. Will never fly with Alaska ever again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I have a complaint about customer service at Alaska Airlines. I had booked my flight six weeks in advance. I paid for their Premium Class upgrade, and reserved an aisle seat. The Premium Class service, and the aisle seat, are both important to me, because I suffer from pain in my feet and legs, and the extra legroom, combined with the ability to occasionally stand in the aisle without climbing over another passenger allow me to relieve the frequent discomfort I encounter on long flights. Had there been no aisle seats available in Premium Class when I was booking the flight I would have chosen another flight.

On the day of the flight, my seat assignment was changed to a middle seat, even after I had checked in online. The email I received informing me of Alaska’s corporate decision offered no explanation, no apology, and no compensation for my extreme inconvenience. I was told the seating change was for “an operational need” or some such corporate doublespeak. The woman at the check-in said she was not able to discuss the reason I was being moved, as if it were some top secret espionage maneuver. Of course I saw the person who was given my seat, and he appeared to be perfectly healthy, and more than able to sit in the middle seat to which I was moved. I was neither consulted nor informed of the reason. Just moved.

I filed a complaint with Alaska Airlines. I received a form letter that gave no indication that anyone in their complaint department had actually read my letter. I filed a subsequent complaint about the form letter, to which I have not received a reply. The day after the fight, my leg and foot were very painful. I cannot directly attribute my discomfort to the cramped quarters on the flight, but there certainly seems to be a correlation. The way I was treated by Alaska Airlines is disrespectful and uncaring about my health and the care I took in planning my travel.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Myself and my family have used Alaska Airlines for years, after today never again! We flew into Seattle from San Diego only to sit on the tarmac for almost an hour! This was going to make us late for our connecting flight to Spokane so we talked to our flight attendant and he told us they knew we were going to be late and were waiting for us. We FINALLY get off of the plane and sprint to he gate to get on the Spokane flight and they left without us! We were ushered over to customer service where we waited in line for 45 minutes to find out that the next departing flight wasn’t for another twelve hours. Needing to be at work the next day we decided to rent a car and drive the five hours overnight from Seattle to Spokane. The customer service agent had our checked bags pulled and told us they would be in baggage claim.

We get down there and are told it might be a while before the bags come down so we waited around. Apparently there was a shift change during our wait time because when we went back to see if our bags were there a different lady told us they could not get our bags and they would have to be expedited to Spokane and delivered to us. Great. So we just start driving and in the morning I call the baggage claims to arrange for our bags to be delivered to our house and they said it would cost me money.

I explained the situation thinking they could waive the fee and they wouldn’t budge and wanted us to go another 40 minutes out of our way to pick them up at the airport. This was absolutely unacceptable, we went round and round with customer service and finally someone arranged to have our bags delivered to us. So much for that relaxing vacation we dropped thousands of dollars on. Do yourself a favor and fly with an airline that values your time and business because Alaska clearly doesn’t.

Alaska Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

• Best for: Frequent fliers, business travelers, holiday travelers and vacationers visiting West Coast destinations and Alaska.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information