2.37/5
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Alaska Airlines

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 29, 2018

238 Alaska Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Everyone is really nice and the pilots stand by the door when you enter & exit. They also come on during the flight and tell you about things we can see outside of the plane. One even gave us a choice about when we wanted to leave which got us home 30 minutes early.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I booked the plane tickets from SFO to Cabo San Lucas 6 months before my travel date. 2 days before boarding, when I looked at my tickets online, did I finally realized that Alaska had overbooked and bumped me off the flight. Instead, they added a stop to Seattle for me. Adding not only 4 hours to the total travel time, but I had to arrive at the airport 3 AM. I called and complained. Not only did I receive no explanation or apologies, they offer absolutely no compensation. I then raised my concern on their Facebook, but my comments were marked as spam by Alaska. VERY HORRIBLE PUBLIC RELATION MANAGEMENT. I heard they had good seats and good service, but none of that matters if they do not fly you on the flight you booked.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Just FYI, for people looking at using an Alaska Visa for flight benefits. I will try and Keep it short. First, it is not beneficial. Prices can be found for less on other flight search engine sites with much better flight times. Too many restrictions for use of miles. For instance, some overseas travel with Alaska and partner airlines, not doable. But if you search other engines for travel, Alaska comes up in the Northwest as a 1st leg Flight. If you have credit from a previous bump, well, that can't be used but only with domestic flights. So, for me. I'm done. I will use my credit and miles and then bye, bye Alaska. Not to mention, as other have, their seats are horribly uncomfortable and billing (to) and (from) legs independently is expensive.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I don't know where to begin with this airline. I live in Alaska and unfortunately I'm forced to use this subpar company frequently. Its rates are significantly higher than anyone else and their seating is so uncomfortable I have to bring a pad to make it through a three hour flight. Not to mention their so called companion deal "discount". What a joke, do the research yourself and watch the price come out exactly the same if you buy two tickets or use the so called discount. Not to mention I can use Travelocity and get the same tickets on Alaska Airlines for $300 cheaper. Absolutely unbelievable! If you can avoid flying this airline I would at all cost.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

My daughter and granddaughter had a scheduled flight on 12/25/17 from Portland to John Wayne Airport. When they went through security and were called by Alaska Airlines to board, they were told the entire flight had been cancelled. They and the rest of the customers were told it as due to the weather. However, all the other flights were taking off. Only their flight was cancelled. Children who were to spend the holidays at Disneyland and their parents were obviously upset. Alaskan Airlines lied to these customers when in fact the reason was because there was no one to de-ice the plane. I have never been not been with my daughter and granddaughter on Christmas. Shame on you Alaska Airlines... especially when you lied to your own customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Booking on Alaska recently. I was not aware of the $125 cancellation fees. We had a major change in our trips and had to cancel. Our original tickets were $114 thus leaving them worthless. Had I know about this I would have not flown Alaska Airlines. I have flown millions of miles although on another airline, so I am not an infrequent flier. I will never fly with them again and use Southwest Airlines without change fees. I have not kept up with Alaska but many years ago they were a good airline, not sure what happened.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I purchased my flight tickets online through the Alaska Airlines website. A few weeks later I responded to an ad to reserve a rental car through their website. They don't tell you that they will draw the insurance amount from your account, and when you go to pick up the car you will have to pay again for the insurance as well as an $800.00 debit card hold for the car rental. After waiting on hold for over 15 minutes I tried to explain this to the "customer service" person who disingenuously "apologized" repeatedly and told me that in five to seven days my insurance amount would be credited back to my account.

After waiting 25 minutes on hold I thought that she had hung up on me and not forwarded my call to her supervisor, but he eventually came on the line and gave the same disingenuous "apologies". The interesting reveal was that Alaska Airlines is overloaded with customer complaints so it takes a long time to get any response or service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have flown Alaska Airlines several times in my life and usually it's not a problem however this time is very different. I had made a trip to Bali but unfortunately they're having a natural disaster which is no one's fault and I completely understand that, however when they told us our flight was canceled when we were on the plane to Seattle from Portland we tried to get some answers on where our bags were, how we could get home and what we should do. And I kid you not the lady at the kiosk in the Seattle Airport told me, "you're out of luck. It's not our problem" and then she kept talking in circles and snapped at my friend when we try to explain that we are not trying to get to Bali now, we just want to get our bags.

We ended up having to rent a car for $200 and drive to Portland at night till 4 a.m. When I called the airline the next morning to try and find the bags they didn't know where they were, they said they are probably on a flight to Taiwan. It took us an hour to figure out that it was them who is in charge of our bags and that they have to get it back to us within the week hopefully. We still don't have them.

EVA Airlines was also involved in this and they kept sending us back and forth to the other airline and no one was giving us answers or wanting to help. We were not upset that Bali was cancelled. We understand that natural disasters happened. We were just wondering what we should do and they gave us the options "You can be stranded here or you can be stranded in Taiwan. Those are your two options but Taiwan is expensive this time of year so we suggest you get stranded here" also "Not our problem." Not making this up. I understand it was late and maybe it wasn't their problem but the way they did not emphasize or try and help us or talk us through it was disheartening and I would not suggest those Airlines.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

This is my first (and last) time I will book with Virgin Air/Alaska Air. I came from Honolulu on a late night flight. The flight crew, special attention to the lead Flight Attendant was beyond rude with a power trip indifference. I will not use this Airlines again. I'd rather give my money and take a Camel.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The airline did great. No problems, on time, nice crew. I have a good feeling about Alaska Airlines. I didn't crash so I guess I will fly with them again!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I made a mistake booking through Orbitz by adding my name twice instead of my husband's name. Orbitz would not change it and said it was Alaska Airlines policy to change. I called Alaska Airlines and they changed it no problem and they were very helpful.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

It's interesting that depending on if you are going out of Chicago you get 1 flight crew that is unhelpful, but in Houston everyone is helpful especially when traveling with babies.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

That will be my one and only flight with them. Never again. The one good thing was the pilot got us to our destination safely, but everything else, the seats, the awful food (if you could call it food) lack of in-flight entertainment, lackadaisical flight attendants were horrible. As an American, I'm embarrassed to have my country's name on the side of these planes.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I live in Alaska and Alaska Airlines has great deals for Alaska residents. Specials on Tuesday, two bags free. Also, if you use their Visa you get one two for one flight and airline miles for each dollar purchase. Mileage program is very good as well.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I flew round trip from SFO to MSP. The flights were fine. We left San Francisco from the international terminal, but returned to terminal 2. There are 4 terminal buildings at the SF airport. No one mentioned that we were returning to a different building. The person who picked us up assumed we would return to the terminal from which we left. There is nothing inside the terminal buildings to indicate what terminal building you are in. Thanks to cellular phones we finally connected with our driver. Since you leave and arrive using different buildings, it would be useful if the flight attendant announcing landing procedures would announce clearly which terminal is being used.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Customer service representative was very nice and understanding and gave me information on how to handle my issue. She was good at explaining best value for me when I had to cancel travel plans due to my husband’s sudden illness. Also thoroughly explained options.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

On time. Good service and luggage control. Free luggage with upgraded card and once a year companion special. Only problem are the walks from the tarmac to building of smaller planes.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

As with most airlines there are problems, but Alaska Airlines, has always provided excellent customer service to me, an individual with a mobility issue. I recently was able to get a reasonably priced ticket.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Short flight to Albuquerque from San Jose, connection in Phoenix. We were 1st class, but the way they do loading made it difficult to get to our place in line. Had to push through a gang of people to get onboard. Flight attendants were very good, plane was clean, seats OK for that length of flight.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I was delayed 2 times on both connections from one to port then port to sea. Since they delayed me I was late for my connecting flight and had to pay extra to get my new flight. The customer service at the airport was mixed as one woman was just completely dumb or just didn't care because she showed it with bad attitude. Then the other woman accepted blame and said the airlines would pay for my new flight but when time came they pulled back any help and said "well we did not get you here on time, but we got you here." I sent a e-mail but have no reply after 5 days and don't have time to wait for this very bad company. You fly Alaska Airlines you will be lied to and it will cost you money and more money when they delay you time and you miss your flight. DO NOT USE ALASKA AIRLINES.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I accompanied an 80 yrs old lady friend who is using a walker to fly Alaska Air from SeaTac to Chicago by herself. (I accompanied her to the airport but not to fly with her). After making an arrangement that a wheelchair is needed, we were asked to sit in station 2 to be picked up and wheeled to C-11 departure gate. While waiting, an Alaska Airline supervisor (somewhat **) told my friend that she needs to change her pants because she smells like urine. I wheeled my disable friend to a family restroom and helped her changed her pants. In reality, her pants are not wet but she changed it to short pants. On the way back to the waiting station I told the supervisor that my friend did not urinate in her pants. After a while, the supervisor insisted that my friend still has some urine smell and for this reason she may be not allowed to board the plane.

The flight is scheduled for 5:35 pm with 4:50 pm boarding time. When this supervisor talked to us about my friend's alleged odor it was 4:00 pm. I told her that we will take care of the problem. I happened to borrow a hand sanitizer with lanolin mixture from a wheelchair contract supervisor and applied this to my friend's body (from her hair all the way to her feet). The Alaska Airline supervisor was holding my friend's boarding pass. She said that she will give it to the wheelchair contract coordinator. After applying hand sanitizer lotion to my friend's entire body and came back to the station, the supervisor is gone and when we asked the wheelchair coordinator about the boarding pass, he said that the airline supervisor took the boarding pass with her. At this time it was 4:30 pm.

I approached another nearby airline supervisor who was monitoring the kiosk to help my friend print another boarding pass explaining that the other supervisor left with the boarding pass in her possession. And this supervisor printed a new boarding pass. The time is 4:37 pm and my disabled friend still has to pass screening with the boarding time at 4:50 pm. It was at this time supervisor (blond woman with eyeglasses) showed up. My friend was about to be wheeled to the screening area and then to the departure gate when this new supervisor (relief supervisor) told my friend that she cannot fly. I explained to this supervisor that there was an issue earlier about mild odor but with hand sanitizer that has lanolin with it offered a solution to the problem. She did not let my friend go to Chicago to visit her 76 years old very sick sister.

An hour earlier, the first supervisor (** woman) called Medline if my friend can be stopped from flying. I think this Medline is Alaska Airline's medical contractor. After answering questions from Medline, Medline gave travel approval for my friend. This supervisor left the scene at 4:02 pm and a new supervisor showed up at 4:37 pm. We are planning to file a lawsuit against the airline for a violation of rights and other reasons. My friend's name is Wanda ** and her confirmation code is **, flight schedule is Oct 17, 2017, flight no. 26 (SeaTac to Chicago).

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Embarked on a 3-week family trip in July to England. Departed Oakland CA, with plane/airline changes in Seattle WA and Reykjavik Iceland, ultimately to land in Manchester UK. Bags were lost but delivered to us 3 days later. Naturally we purchased barest of necessities: underwear, toiletries, shirts, jeans. Six days later, we submitted the first lost luggage claims and received no response or confirmation. As of this date (months and 3 emails later) we have had NO RESPONSE from Alaska.

We've been Alaska miles customers 8 years. 10 months ago I had to cancel a business trip (60 days out and, per their policy, was issued a voucher. That voucher expires in 2 months. As I do not have another trip planned, it appears, per their policy, that I will lose $400. You have to ask yourself, why give your business to a company who clearly does not demonstrate a commitment to their customers? The one star is for the pilot and flight crew whose work is unfortunately overshadowed by our negative experience. We're cancelling our miles program and will NEVER FLY AA again.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I was humiliated and shamed by Alaska Airlines for being too tall and big. I was booted off a connecting flight and humiliated by the flight attendant and by the SEATAC supervisor. I sat in the same seat to North Carolina and was told on the way back I could not be in that seat on the way home to Anchorage Alaska. I was booted off in flip flops, shorts and no bags and no hotel, no food and was put in Delta flight the next day. Horrible customer service and as of today Alaska Airlines has done nothing to make it right.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I have just had the worst experience with Alaska Airlines!!! Save yourself the trouble, use another airline. I arrived at the Alaska Airline section of LAX. I was told by one of the host to proceed to the kiosk... I did. The first ticket machine was frozen! I informed another host of the condition of that machine only to be told to use another one... in a dismissive manner, no help! I went to another machine, it was also frozen!!! Another machine... entered my information and passport info. It bumps me out of the system and brings me back to the original entry window with no error message, no notice... nothing! I informed the another attendant only to be told to try again. 4th machine... I entered my information and at this point it tells me to see the "Assistance" counter. Like a decent human, I go to the "Assistance" line to wait my turn so that I can get my boarding pass. The counter had 3 Alaska personnel serving 3, while 4 customers were waiting.

20 Minutes later, all three are still working on the same people. "Ok," I thought. I will wait patiently. Suddenly people scream/shout that their flight will be closing that they don't have tickets, that the machines have bumped them out of the system and so on. As they are escorted to the "Golden Member" counter to be given tickets, I am next to be served when all of a sudden the attendant says "I'm sorry but you are late for your flight." What!!! "Why are other passengers still getting their boarding passes?" I told him. "I waited patiently after Alaska machines failed 4 times on me, and waited while inept personnel dismissed me without providing me with the help assistance so promised by Alaska, waited an additional 20 minutes in a line with inefficient workers... only to be told that I need to come in earlier!!!"

I promise you we were a handful of customers in a sea of blue uniforms. And to top it all off, I called Alaska Airlines, am told that there is another flight for the evening for an additional price of $600+ each ticket (x3=$1,800) or wait for the next day and still pay $50 per ticket (x3). Because of course, "I should have been there earlier because these things happen!" "Excuse me"... I told the representative... "these things meaning your deplorable machines, dismissive host and pathetically slow workers?" Crickets sounds don't compare. Awful, awful, awful experience! But "I should be grateful that it was only $50 dollars and not the usual $125." (as if they are doing me a favor for first selecting Alaska).

As we left LAX my 6 year old son tells me, "Mom! The man opened the machine you were at and was trying to fix it, he was putting in paper!" And so, I have an early flight tomorrow with Alaska Airlines. I may just sleep there so that I don't have the same experience again. Perhaps I will board this time. Moral of the story: Never fly with Alaska Airlines and let everyone know what they did to my family!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I am finding that Alaska Airlines is approximately 30% higher in price for their service. Please thoroughly shop your trip before paying their price. Seattle to Las Vegas and back again 2-people. Alaska Airlines $940.00. Southwest Airlines $655.00. Same nonstop route, very similar departure times. Bags free. Alaska $25.00 per bag (Easily another $50.00 for the bag fee). Alaska is very greedy, last year the airlines made a couple billion in profit for bag fees. How can Southwest fly your bags for free? They simply make less profit.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I've just had a very unpleasant experience with Alaska Airlines: Just about to check in for my flight the next day and realize that they had changed my return flight from 7 pm to 1.25 pm, with 2 layovers instead of one, and the second layover was only 30 minutes. I had a frustrating conversation with customer service where she couldn't give me more suitable options even if other airlines have better choices (I checked!); she couldn't book me in a hotel at the airport so that I could catch the earlier more convenient flight. I ended up canceling my flight, but customer service wasn't even able to provide me with an reference number so at least I had something that could confirm my conversation. I am hoping that they at least refund me as promised. What an unpleasant experience - I will make sure not to fly with them again, and highly recommend others to choose alternative airlines. This has never happened to me in my over 20 years traveling.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

If we have a choice between Alaska air and some other airline, we always choose Alaska because of the great service, on time flights, careful baggage handling and ease of use website.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Since Alaska Airlines has come to Minneapolis, we have traveled with them several times to the West Coast. Their reputation for excellent customer service is well deserved. Their on-time record is very good, and my baggage has always arrived at about the same time I arrive at the carousel. The new seats provide a little more leg room, and all seats have ports for charging devices. When I last traveled, they had free movies I could watch on my IPad. Alaska also has a great safety record, and the flight attendants are helpful and personable. Their pricing is competitive with other airlines in their markets, and their loyalty card comes with basically a free companion fare. I only wish they flew to more destinations, but I am looking into their flights to Hawaii for later this fall.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

The people in the plane were great! Lady at the counter in Anchorage, Alaska had not been through a training session on how to talk to customers, probably the rudest woman I have ever been insulted by. She was right at the top of the list.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Around $300 from Phoenix, AZ to Seattle, WA. The flight I was on had nice staff, and the good food was $6-$7. The drinks that aren't alcoholic are free (soda, water, some Starbucks coffee). The alcoholic beverages range from $6-$7. It's pretty cheap.

Alaska Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

• Best for: Frequent fliers, business travelers, holiday travelers and vacationers visiting West Coast destinations and Alaska.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information

www.alaskaair.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use