2.60/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Your airline may owe you up to
$400
Bad airline experience?
You may qualify for a partial refund
You may think there's nothing you can do about delays and cancellations, but you can seek compensation for these and other bad experiences.
Think there's nothing you can do about delays or canceled flights? We'll help you seek compensation-try it for free!

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 13, 2017

230 Alaska Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

This is my first (and last) time I will book with Virgin Air/Alaska Air. I came from Honolulu on a late night flight. The flight crew, special attention to the lead Flight Attendant was beyond rude with a power trip indifference. I will not use this Airlines again. I'd rather give my money and take a Camel.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The airline did great. No problems, on time, nice crew. I have a good feeling about Alaska Airlines. I didn't crash so I guess I will fly with them again!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I made a mistake booking through Orbitz by adding my name twice instead of my husband's name. Orbitz would not change it and said it was Alaska Airlines policy to change. I called Alaska Airlines and they changed it no problem and they were very helpful.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

It's interesting that depending on if you are going out of Chicago you get 1 flight crew that is unhelpful, but in Houston everyone is helpful especially when traveling with babies.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

That will be my one and only flight with them. Never again. The one good thing was the pilot got us to our destination safely, but everything else, the seats, the awful food (if you could call it food) lack of in-flight entertainment, lackadaisical flight attendants were horrible. As an American, I'm embarrassed to have my country's name on the side of these planes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I live in Alaska and Alaska Airlines has great deals for Alaska residents. Specials on Tuesday, two bags free. Also, if you use their Visa you get one two for one flight and airline miles for each dollar purchase. Mileage program is very good as well.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I flew round trip from SFO to MSP. The flights were fine. We left San Francisco from the international terminal, but returned to terminal 2. There are 4 terminal buildings at the SF airport. No one mentioned that we were returning to a different building. The person who picked us up assumed we would return to the terminal from which we left. There is nothing inside the terminal buildings to indicate what terminal building you are in. Thanks to cellular phones we finally connected with our driver. Since you leave and arrive using different buildings, it would be useful if the flight attendant announcing landing procedures would announce clearly which terminal is being used.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Customer service representative was very nice and understanding and gave me information on how to handle my issue. She was good at explaining best value for me when I had to cancel travel plans due to my husband’s sudden illness. Also thoroughly explained options.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

On time. Good service and luggage control. Free luggage with upgraded card and once a year companion special. Only problem are the walks from the tarmac to building of smaller planes.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

As with most airlines there are problems, but Alaska Airlines, has always provided excellent customer service to me, an individual with a mobility issue. I recently was able to get a reasonably priced ticket.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Short flight to Albuquerque from San Jose, connection in Phoenix. We were 1st class, but the way they do loading made it difficult to get to our place in line. Had to push through a gang of people to get onboard. Flight attendants were very good, plane was clean, seats OK for that length of flight.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I was delayed 2 times on both connections from one to port then port to sea. Since they delayed me I was late for my connecting flight and had to pay extra to get my new flight. The customer service at the airport was mixed as one woman was just completely dumb or just didn't care because she showed it with bad attitude. Then the other woman accepted blame and said the airlines would pay for my new flight but when time came they pulled back any help and said "well we did not get you here on time, but we got you here." I sent a e-mail but have no reply after 5 days and don't have time to wait for this very bad company. You fly Alaska Airlines you will be lied to and it will cost you money and more money when they delay you time and you miss your flight. DO NOT USE ALASKA AIRLINES.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I accompanied an 80 yrs old lady friend who is using a walker to fly Alaska Air from SeaTac to Chicago by herself. (I accompanied her to the airport but not to fly with her). After making an arrangement that a wheelchair is needed, we were asked to sit in station 2 to be picked up and wheeled to C-11 departure gate. While waiting, an Alaska Airline supervisor (somewhat **) told my friend that she needs to change her pants because she smells like urine. I wheeled my disable friend to a family restroom and helped her changed her pants. In reality, her pants are not wet but she changed it to short pants. On the way back to the waiting station I told the supervisor that my friend did not urinate in her pants. After a while, the supervisor insisted that my friend still has some urine smell and for this reason she may be not allowed to board the plane.

The flight is scheduled for 5:35 pm with 4:50 pm boarding time. When this supervisor talked to us about my friend's alleged odor it was 4:00 pm. I told her that we will take care of the problem. I happened to borrow a hand sanitizer with lanolin mixture from a wheelchair contract supervisor and applied this to my friend's body (from her hair all the way to her feet). The Alaska Airline supervisor was holding my friend's boarding pass. She said that she will give it to the wheelchair contract coordinator. After applying hand sanitizer lotion to my friend's entire body and came back to the station, the supervisor is gone and when we asked the wheelchair coordinator about the boarding pass, he said that the airline supervisor took the boarding pass with her. At this time it was 4:30 pm.

I approached another nearby airline supervisor who was monitoring the kiosk to help my friend print another boarding pass explaining that the other supervisor left with the boarding pass in her possession. And this supervisor printed a new boarding pass. The time is 4:37 pm and my disabled friend still has to pass screening with the boarding time at 4:50 pm. It was at this time supervisor (blond woman with eyeglasses) showed up. My friend was about to be wheeled to the screening area and then to the departure gate when this new supervisor (relief supervisor) told my friend that she cannot fly. I explained to this supervisor that there was an issue earlier about mild odor but with hand sanitizer that has lanolin with it offered a solution to the problem. She did not let my friend go to Chicago to visit her 76 years old very sick sister.

An hour earlier, the first supervisor (** woman) called Medline if my friend can be stopped from flying. I think this Medline is Alaska Airline's medical contractor. After answering questions from Medline, Medline gave travel approval for my friend. This supervisor left the scene at 4:02 pm and a new supervisor showed up at 4:37 pm. We are planning to file a lawsuit against the airline for a violation of rights and other reasons. My friend's name is Wanda ** and her confirmation code is **, flight schedule is Oct 17, 2017, flight no. 26 (SeaTac to Chicago).

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Embarked on a 3-week family trip in July to England. Departed Oakland CA, with plane/airline changes in Seattle WA and Reykjavik Iceland, ultimately to land in Manchester UK. Bags were lost but delivered to us 3 days later. Naturally we purchased barest of necessities: underwear, toiletries, shirts, jeans. Six days later, we submitted the first lost luggage claims and received no response or confirmation. As of this date (months and 3 emails later) we have had NO RESPONSE from Alaska.

We've been Alaska miles customers 8 years. 10 months ago I had to cancel a business trip (60 days out and, per their policy, was issued a voucher. That voucher expires in 2 months. As I do not have another trip planned, it appears, per their policy, that I will lose $400. You have to ask yourself, why give your business to a company who clearly does not demonstrate a commitment to their customers? The one star is for the pilot and flight crew whose work is unfortunately overshadowed by our negative experience. We're cancelling our miles program and will NEVER FLY AA again.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I was humiliated and shamed by Alaska Airlines for being too tall and big. I was booted off a connecting flight and humiliated by the flight attendant and by the SEATAC supervisor. I sat in the same seat to North Carolina and was told on the way back I could not be in that seat on the way home to Anchorage Alaska. I was booted off in flip flops, shorts and no bags and no hotel, no food and was put in Delta flight the next day. Horrible customer service and as of today Alaska Airlines has done nothing to make it right.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I have just had the worst experience with Alaska Airlines!!! Save yourself the trouble, use another airline. I arrived at the Alaska Airline section of LAX. I was told by one of the host to proceed to the kiosk... I did. The first ticket machine was frozen! I informed another host of the condition of that machine only to be told to use another one... in a dismissive manner, no help! I went to another machine, it was also frozen!!! Another machine... entered my information and passport info. It bumps me out of the system and brings me back to the original entry window with no error message, no notice... nothing! I informed the another attendant only to be told to try again. 4th machine... I entered my information and at this point it tells me to see the "Assistance" counter. Like a decent human, I go to the "Assistance" line to wait my turn so that I can get my boarding pass. The counter had 3 Alaska personnel serving 3, while 4 customers were waiting.

20 Minutes later, all three are still working on the same people. "Ok," I thought. I will wait patiently. Suddenly people scream/shout that their flight will be closing that they don't have tickets, that the machines have bumped them out of the system and so on. As they are escorted to the "Golden Member" counter to be given tickets, I am next to be served when all of a sudden the attendant says "I'm sorry but you are late for your flight." What!!! "Why are other passengers still getting their boarding passes?" I told him. "I waited patiently after Alaska machines failed 4 times on me, and waited while inept personnel dismissed me without providing me with the help assistance so promised by Alaska, waited an additional 20 minutes in a line with inefficient workers... only to be told that I need to come in earlier!!!"

I promise you we were a handful of customers in a sea of blue uniforms. And to top it all off, I called Alaska Airlines, am told that there is another flight for the evening for an additional price of $600+ each ticket (x3=$1,800) or wait for the next day and still pay $50 per ticket (x3). Because of course, "I should have been there earlier because these things happen!" "Excuse me"... I told the representative... "these things meaning your deplorable machines, dismissive host and pathetically slow workers?" Crickets sounds don't compare. Awful, awful, awful experience! But "I should be grateful that it was only $50 dollars and not the usual $125." (as if they are doing me a favor for first selecting Alaska).

As we left LAX my 6 year old son tells me, "Mom! The man opened the machine you were at and was trying to fix it, he was putting in paper!" And so, I have an early flight tomorrow with Alaska Airlines. I may just sleep there so that I don't have the same experience again. Perhaps I will board this time. Moral of the story: Never fly with Alaska Airlines and let everyone know what they did to my family!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I am finding that Alaska Airlines is approximately 30% higher in price for their service. Please thoroughly shop your trip before paying their price. Seattle to Las Vegas and back again 2-people. Alaska Airlines $940.00. Southwest Airlines $655.00. Same nonstop route, very similar departure times. Bags free. Alaska $25.00 per bag (Easily another $50.00 for the bag fee). Alaska is very greedy, last year the airlines made a couple billion in profit for bag fees. How can Southwest fly your bags for free? They simply make less profit.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I've just had a very unpleasant experience with Alaska Airlines: Just about to check in for my flight the next day and realize that they had changed my return flight from 7 pm to 1.25 pm, with 2 layovers instead of one, and the second layover was only 30 minutes. I had a frustrating conversation with customer service where she couldn't give me more suitable options even if other airlines have better choices (I checked!); she couldn't book me in a hotel at the airport so that I could catch the earlier more convenient flight. I ended up canceling my flight, but customer service wasn't even able to provide me with an reference number so at least I had something that could confirm my conversation. I am hoping that they at least refund me as promised. What an unpleasant experience - I will make sure not to fly with them again, and highly recommend others to choose alternative airlines. This has never happened to me in my over 20 years traveling.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

If we have a choice between Alaska air and some other airline, we always choose Alaska because of the great service, on time flights, careful baggage handling and ease of use website.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Since Alaska Airlines has come to Minneapolis, we have traveled with them several times to the West Coast. Their reputation for excellent customer service is well deserved. Their on-time record is very good, and my baggage has always arrived at about the same time I arrive at the carousel. The new seats provide a little more leg room, and all seats have ports for charging devices. When I last traveled, they had free movies I could watch on my IPad. Alaska also has a great safety record, and the flight attendants are helpful and personable. Their pricing is competitive with other airlines in their markets, and their loyalty card comes with basically a free companion fare. I only wish they flew to more destinations, but I am looking into their flights to Hawaii for later this fall.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

The people in the plane were great! Lady at the counter in Anchorage, Alaska had not been through a training session on how to talk to customers, probably the rudest woman I have ever been insulted by. She was right at the top of the list.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Around $300 from Phoenix, AZ to Seattle, WA. The flight I was on had nice staff, and the good food was $6-$7. The drinks that aren't alcoholic are free (soda, water, some Starbucks coffee). The alcoholic beverages range from $6-$7. It's pretty cheap.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I flew on Horizon, a subsidiary of Alaska Air. The flight was only 2 hours so it's not expected to be in the same category as the bigger airlines. The Seats cannot be adjusted, you have to walk down the stairs to get in and out of the plane and there is no shelter from the elements coming or going. The crew is friendly and do what they can to be accommodating in the limited passenger space.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

We were scheduled on a flight from Juneau to Seattle and then a connecting flight to Pasco WA. The connecting flight was canceled so instead of informing us of this change Alaska Airlines basically kicked us off our flight all together and put us on the next flight to Seattle that wasn't leaving for 6 more hours. We were not told about this change until we were checking in for our flight. We no longer had a rental car or a hotel for obvious reasons, we were supposed to be leaving. They told us they just went ahead and put us on the later flight so we would not have such a long layover in Seattle. They told us that the early flight was now full and we could be put on standby, of a flight that we booked and paid for six months ago! So instead of having a layover in Seattle where there was food, other airlines, rental cars, etc. we were left to wait at Juneau's airport, which has no food or anything for people to do while they wait and no other airlines.

They should have given us the option to decide whether we wanted to wait in Juneau or in Seattle. We could have rented a car in Seattle and been home before our flight even left Juneau. Instead we were kicked off our flight so they could book other customers in our seats and make a few more bucks. We had to pay for a cab to take us to a restaurant and spend more money on food and then more money for a cab back to the airport. Of course no mention of help with that. Thanks Alaska Airlines, you have officially lost our business and we will be sure to share your lack of hospitality and concern for customers with everyone!

Original review: July 31, 2017

I just got back from a 2 week vacation, and I want to thank Alaska Airlines for making the flight home so pleasant. The flight attendants on my flight out of Dallas to Seattle on 7/30/17 were great. They obviously enjoy their job and brought a sense of fun to it, while making sure the passengers follow the required laws and are safe. I would be proud to be the employer of these two women!

Original review: July 31, 2017

I fly from Missoula to Fairbanks on Alaska Airlines with my company every month during the summer for work. This time I took my wife so I paid extra for Premium class seats. The Alaska Airlines website states that Premium Class advantage is that you can "Board early so you can find that perfect spot for your carry-on." It doesn't explain specifically when we can board, it just says we can "board early" or "early boarding." The AA employee, a female around 25 years old named "Reak," I believe, was taking tickets and announcing boarding at SEATAC airport C17. She first called disabled, passengers with babies and active military. She then announced First Class. We waited until all the First Class passengers went through the line and then we went to give her our boarding passes.

Very rudely, she said, "I said First Class only." I then said, "We have Premium Class seats." She then said very rudely and abruptly, "First class." That's all she said. I then said, "But Premium Class says that we can board early." Without explaining, she then yelled "FIRST CLASS!" She said it so loudly that everyone waiting to board heard it. This was very embarrassing and I didn't want to argue with her so we stepped aside. She then called the Gold Members to board. We waited until they all boarded and then we boarded.

I am a 55-year old retired United Sates Naval Officer with 20 years in the military. I have flown Alaska Airlines about 4 times in the past year with my company or for vacation. I have an AA Mastercard and use your company for work and fun. I don't need a rude, uncaring 25-year old Alaska Airline employee yelling at me, treating me like a little child, in front of 100 people. She needs to take a customer service class and learn how to talk to her customers who pay good money to fly on Alaska Airlines. Or find another line of work. I will choose Delta from now on whenever I have the opportunity for both work and fun.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I tried to voice my concerns via the telephone to no avail. After being seated for 10 minutes on Flight 9 on July 13 from Orlando to Seattle, I began to sneeze, cough and my nose started draining like a faucet. Please clean the air filters in the cabin. I obviously had an allergy from something in the filters. I was back to normal 2 days later with no medication except for one ** taken post flight. This was a 5 hour flight. Please let me know what is the frequency of cleaning or changing the air filters in the planes. Thank you.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Alaska airlines is horrible. Due to custody my son was flying home and his flight was diverted for weather, strange every other flight made it in but ok. Called customer service to complain and got no resolution, they did nothing. Couldn't find a crew to fly the plane in the city. The child was now stranded in so they made kid sit in a strange city 600 miles away for 8 hours because they could not get their stuff together. I am an MVP, so is my wife, we also have the credit card. We will never fly Alaska Airlines again. We will be closing the card (I realize the credit is owned by a different company) due to the extremely poor service. No flight credit, partial refund, nothing, all they did was give my kid a drink. Horrible service, do yourself a favor and fly a real airline.

Original review: July 10, 2017

On a flight to Los Angeles from Seattle, we landed and drove around the airport for an hour. After waiting for some communication from the pilots about what was going on, the flight attendant came on the intercom and said our gate had been changed 3 times. Then the pilot finally came on the intercom and said that we have a gate but that air traffic control is concerns about the traffic around the airport and they are keeping us out here. It took an hour after we landed to pull into a gate!! It is 11:35 pm on a Sunday night. Alaska Airlines definitely sucks tonight.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I was flying from Sacramento to San Diego and travel with a firearm. As a veteran, I understand the safety and the need to check firearms not to mention that it's a federal law. With that said there is no option to legally travel with a firearm without checking a bag. They charged me $50 on a $120 flight to check a box the size of a small laptop. I will never fly Alaska again and if you value your right to own and carry a firearm you won't either. After several attempts to resolve this issue at the lowest level they told me to have my attorneys contact them which I will happily do.

Alaska Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Founded in 1932, Alaska Airlines is now the seventh-largest passenger airline in the U.S. It is a West Coast favorite with corporate headquarters in Seattle.

• Mileage plan: Rewards program members can progress through reward levels to gain access to premium services such as priority boarding, free meals and other amenities.

• Credit card rewards: Obtaining the Alaska Airlines credit card gives users the ability to add an annual companion fare, check a free bag and earn triple rewards on Alaska purchases.

• Bags fly free: Local travel in Alaska comes with up to three free checked bags and a free carry on.

• Military service discounts: Active-duty military members get up to five free checked bags and relaxed weight limits.

• First class seating: Get extra amenities and more personalized service with first-class fare from Alaska Airlines.

• Best for: Frequent fliers, business travelers, holiday travelers and vacationers visiting West Coast destinations and Alaska.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines Company Information