2.9/5 (148 ratings)

About Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: April 7, 2021

Avoid this Airline if possible. It's an inhumane cattle service. Tiny seats and I only weigh 120lbs. Flights are booked, no spacing, it's scary even without Covid. Very Rude as well. Horrific service, overcrowded, I feel sorry for air hostess as this puts them in jeopardy too. Hail Delta!

Original review: April 4, 2021

Alaska Airlines - Not good for families and they are not keeping their promise. Please be careful and think twice about purchasing main cabin tickets! I made a reservation for Spring break, we’ll in advance with Alaska Airlines from Seattle to Kona for our family of 5. The trip was booked already in November 2020 and departure was 3 April 2021. To be sure that we all could sit together, I purchased the main cabin tickets, which came at a $89 higher cost per ticket vs the super saver tickets. I saw the value in being able to choose seats and make sure that the family could stay together. It feels more important to do that when you are traveling with kids under 12 in particular now during the Covid pandemic.

Then 6 March, Alaska Air informed that there had been a change. Instead of a direct flight, there was now a connecting flight via San Diego i.e. a detour of approx 4 hours. With less than a month to spring break it wasn’t possible to find any alternative flights to a price which was affordable. This was of course by itself a big disappointment since we had to wake up at 3 AM to make it to the first flight and make this detour. When I did the web check-in on the 2 April, I realized that Alaska had changed seat assignments so the whole family was spread out across the plane. It wasn’t possible for me to change seats on the web since the planes on both legs were fully booked. I called to Alaska Air's customer service.

After 20 min in queue, I was told that they only could help to change seats at the airport. On the morning 3 April, we got to the airport. At the baggage drop I asked if they could help to reassign the seats so that my family could be together and I was told that they only could do this at the gate. At the gate, I got support and it was possible to reassign seats so that we all sat on the same row from Seattle to San Diego but on the long flight (6,5 hours) from San Diego to Kona it was not possible hence my family had to sit spread out in the plane.

When contacting Alaska Air customer support, I was told that situations like this can happen. I was offered some discount code on Alaska Air as courtesy. When asking to be refunded for what I paid extra for having the option to select seats, I only got the answer that they can’t refund a ticket which already is used and as per contract they have the rights to reassign seats at any time, which not is how the main cabin ticket option is explained at Alaska Airlines web page. Very bad customer experience and I would advise anyone thinking about traveling with Alaska Air to see if there are other options. Clearly they are not keeping their promises and you might get surprises if you are traveling as a family. I paid totally $445 for main fare tickets vs saver tickets, something that I couldn’t use and Alaska Air didn’t even refund this part.

Original review: April 4, 2021

I flew on Alaska Airlines (Flight 51) yesterday from Chicago to Seattle. During my flight l experienced a significant in my glucose level. You see, l’m diabetic. This resulted in me feeling light headed and dizzy. Fortunately, there was a flight attendant close by and l turned to him for help. I asked him if he could please get me something sweet to drink. I told him that a Pepsi or Cola drink will do. He told me that he get me the drink. He didn’t and l did not see him again for more than one hour.

At this point, l had become jittery and more confused. As luck would have it, l remembered that l had saved half of my sandwich, Macademia cookies and half coke from from my lunch at Subway. I was able to find them in my bag after a long search. I just couldn’t remember where in my bag l had placed the leftover from my lunch. I ate one of the cookies and finished the remainder of my drink. This really helped me but l didn’t know how long this sugar boost would last. I still had three hours of flight time ahead of me.

Now, the flight attendant showed up after more than one hour following my request for help with something sweet to drink. He came to where l was and apologized for having forgotten my drink. I told him that that was fine and that l found the Cola drink that l brought with me. I told him that l would still appreciate getting another Cola drink seeing that l did not know if l would experience another glucose drop. He told me that he will right way and left.

I did not see him again. Nor did l talk to another flight attendant about my request. I just did not because l did not want it to sound that l was complaining about the failure of the male attendant. Well, close to 20 minutes before. We reached our destination, this flight attendant showed up with some Milage deal that Alaska Airline was offering. The offer appeared attractive and l was almost tempted to sign up for it. Then, l thought otherwise. That their attendant had ignored my cry for help combat my emergent health condition. I shared my concern with him. And he told me that he had forgotten my request for something to help me with. He had forgotten for the second time. Really? I didn’t know what make of his excuse except that l felt that he endangered my life.

Original review: April 2, 2021

This airline was once regarded as one of the best but that description is quickly dissolving. It seems like there is a mechanical issue very frequently that causes delays and cancellations. As a result I have missed connections, meetings, and have lost money. Please try to make sure your planes are ready to go before it takes off. That's what Maintenance is there for....

Original review: April 1, 2021

The customer service is by far the best in this industry. The staff truly try to be your best, and most helpful friend for the duration of your itinerary. Alaska's equipment is always topnotch, and if a problem arises, they take great care to get you safely to your destination. The in-flight experience is the best I've ever had, and unrivaled compared to other airlines in my experience. I will always recommend Alaska to anyone that might need or want the best.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I've flown Alaska six times now into and out of Missoula MT from Sacramento CA. The flight service has been good, the flights on time and the planes are pretty comfortable. I feel comfortable that they are doing a good job of cleaning and sanitizing the planes, in fact they were on the plane cleaning before we were all off the plane on my last trip. I don't like the price I've paid for checked bag, but it's actually gone down for my upcoming trip.

Original review: March 31, 2021

They keep a tight schedule and serve great food. Once when I missed a connection due to baggage issue they paid my expenses to stay another day at the hotel till my baggage arrived. They have always been friendly and courteous to us and helped with any issue that we have had even it wasn't their fault.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I've been flying with Alaska for many years and feel like their family!! There has been many times when circumstances have required interaction with the stewardesses or other employees. In all cases they have resolved any issues, problems and made me feel comfortable!

Original review: March 29, 2021

Service is great but seats could be more comfortable. The seats need more padding, width, and legroom. I am a short person and find myself too close to the next seat. There is not enough space between passengers and feels too closed in.

Original review: March 28, 2021

They say one thing on the phone and then deny saying it when you miss your flight. They did not follow safety guidelines about capacity. The manager on the phone was dismissive and did not start the refund like he said.

Original review: March 27, 2021

I’ve been using this airline for years and find it fine to use. Airline service has gone downhill in all the airlines I’ve used in the last few years but I think Alaska has done about the best. Easy to book, not a lot of unwanted surprises when you get to the airport and good customer service. The pilots do well too, good take offs and landings and always friendly.

Original review: March 26, 2021

They have been more than accommodating in these troubled times especially - due to flights getting canceled for whatever reason they have done everything from offer Uber for free to put me on another airline to upgrading me to first class when we did leave the airport. I am a lifelong customer of Alaska/Horizon and they have my vote for an overall 5 star rating.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I have used them for trips to California. They are clean, no frills but on time every time. A great secret and budget friendly. The name made me think they only flew to Alaska so I dismissed them, glad I finally woke up.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Alaska Airlines is the easiest to use from Washington state, the price is fair, the 1st class is the best. Lots of leg room, snacks, almost worth the price. If jets were updated a bit more I would even like them more. Also, free or reduced luggage fees would be cool also,

Original review: March 23, 2021

Alaska Airlines prices are fair, no hidden fees. Comfortable and staff very courteous and helpful. Think they must have a rigorous cleaning system because the plane looks and smells clean. They are my favorite airline.

Original review: March 22, 2021

The seats on Alaska Air are roomier than other airlines I have been on. And they are leather and very comfortable. The Staff is accommodating. I’m disabled, I use a walker. At the Nome Alaska Airport, you board by climbing stairs. I can’t climb stairs so they took me up to the plane on a cargo lift!! I love Alaska Air.

Original review: March 21, 2021

I was returning from Salt Lake City after my father passed. I had too many guns and family heirlooms overweight, explained to the ladies why I had so much baggage to check. They purchased me another piece of luggage helped downsize so as to get the weight per bag correct and waivered my freight fee. It was a blessing to me, all my treasures from my Grandparents and father arrived safely in Alaska where I now display them to my friends. Once again thanks Alaska Airlines.

Original review: March 20, 2021

Alaska is what all airlines should strive to be. First class service is remarkable. Staff is kind, courteous and very respectful of their customers' needs and concerns. Alaska for me is the most reliable, available for on time departures and arrival.

Original review: March 19, 2021

A sad day today for me. Wish I wasn’t writing this review. Been an Alaska flyer for years now. Have always loved it. Great prices. Great service. Today I don’t think I can ever go back. It’s a principle thing for me. Being a businessman, I highly value how a business treats a customer. We value our customers and put them first in EVERYTHING. Today had one of the most horrendous flights I’ve ever experienced. Halfway through my flight from Honolulu to LAX the flight attendant approached me as my mask was down after just finishing eating some snacks. As if from a hawk from her nest made sure to immediately address my mask being down and almost in a command said “Put your mask on.” Not a please. Not a “hey sir, you’re our valued customer and you help pay my bills but we have to abide by the law, can you please put your mask on.” It was a “Put your mask on now and I’m not leaving til you do.” kind of a command.

Disgusted, I put my mask up, only to find her on the prowl just 3 minutes later to see if I was abiding by her commands. My mask had fell down below my nose just a touch as it does normally when you chew and breathe and sleep on a plane. And she had no problem tapping me on the shoulder to say “Mask up above your nose now. This is your second warning and if I have to come back a 3rd time I will issue a warrant.” WOW!!

At this point I was baffled that humanity has swooped this low. I don’t care if it’s in a pandemic, or a national crisis, when I’m a paying customer there is SOME degree of customer service and generosity that is expected. No matter how small it might be. I don’t even need her to like me or even ACT like she likes me. But commanding me to take action like I’m an obedient dog awaiting orders was another level. And if it wasn’t bad enough, to issue the authority card and THREATEN to issue a warrant against me? Like to arrest me? Lol. I don’t even know what kind of warrant she was referring to, but she surely felt good letting me know she had the authority, power, and pride to do it. Just sad.

For me, this is all it takes to have me completely switch over to a different airline and never consider Alaska again. Our family has been faithful members for decades flying first class with the miles that we’ve accumulated and Alaska has finally reached its lowest point. I wish it wasn’t just one flight attendant. Because an hour later, yet another attendant came over, tapped me to wake ME up, and asked if the man next to me was a part of our party. I told her no and she reached across me to shake the 70 year old man fast asleep next to me awake and said “SIR, you need to put your mask above your nose.” As if I was absolutely disgusted enough, I wanted to tell this lady off so bad. A 70 year old man asleep? Seriously? COVID has caused good people to completely throw all logic out the window and abandon good manners and any sense of politeness or respect. And it’s all in the “Name of the law.”

Look, I get it. You have to follow laws. But why throw out your entire sense of manners and humanity? If you're a police officer, knock yourself out! I’m not your customer and I’m not expecting you to treat me very well. But even POLICE OFFICERS have the decency to approach situations with humanity and respect. When Alaska airline flight attendants are being compared to police officers, you know you have a problem.

To top off the experience, the flight attendant left me with a remark that was so loaded with sarcasm and sassiness it was sick. “Thank youuuu for flying with Alaskaaaa. Have a nice dayyyy. Bye bye nowwww.” I hope Alaska management has SOMETHING to say to their employees about this. Customer service is one of the most important elements of a business. That should go without saying. You don’t have to be a business magnate to figure that one out. So personally, the 2 flight attendants on this flight were a reflection of the disregard management has for putting the customer first. You just lost multiple long time Alaska customers because of that negligence.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Alaska Airlines is my favorite airline. They are always running deals and you can find "saver" fares the majority of the time. The flights are always clean and staff has always been friendly. I was bummed when they stopped being as COVID safe before other airlines (they started selling the middle seat before Delta) but otherwise I've never had anything bad to say. I also love you can charge your device on every one of their flights. I always seem to lose all my battery when I get in the air.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I love Alaska Airlines and have their credit card which offers a very generous companion fare annually. We have been using Alaska Airlines to fly nonstop from Sacramento CA to OGG (Maui). Sadly Alaska Airlines is no longer offering nonstop flights from SMF to OGG. We are switching over to Hawaiian Airlines because of this -- I sure wish Alaska would bring back their nonstop flights.

Original review: March 17, 2021

Alaska goes beyond expectations to ensure a quality travel experience. Their customer service is quick to solve any issues when I call. Also, their schedule is usually without any delay which allows me to plan my travel with confidence.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

The policy for Alaska on refunding tickets on flights they cancel during a pandemic is a joke. I had two flights cancelled on me. After the first flight, they gave me credits. I used those credits to buy the second flight. They then cancelled the second flight. I cannot fly any of the other schedules with my 4 year old as they are overnight flights. They now will not give me my money back when I am not able to use their airline since it seems like they continue to cancel the only flight I can use of theirs. Customer service was short and repeated the same thing over and over again and did not want to understand how the policy during a pandemic is one-sided. I now have over $600 tied up in their system and no way to use it.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Beware of fee changes: We had a direct 6 hr flight back to the mainland and Alaska cancelled the direct flight and booked us on a 2 stop 16+ hour flight. I have a bad back and could not do that so had to delay return for 10 days until Alaska started direct flights again. I am being charged the flight difference fee even though Alaska created the situation. They say no change fees, but that does not include fee differential even though they create the problem. Time to get rid of Alaska credit card and go with another airline.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I have to say that I have flown Alaska Airlines for several years, it used to be middle of the road flights with first class being ok at best compared to the other airlines. A co-worker and friend lost his father to whom I have become close with. Flew back East with his family to attend the funeral. The co-worker and myself used miles through our employment so we were on the same reservation. The flight attendant was very rude to the co-worker example didn't give him his water or nuts but made sure we all had the condiments handed out. This co-worker is very quiet and would never cause a problem. He fell asleep with his mask on and it fell under his nose.

The attendant came by and woke him up and said, "I have asked you several times to keep your mask up," which was a complete lie. I was across the aisle and she not once said anything. Because she woke him out of a dead sleep, he apologized and put it back on. After waking up, he looked at me and said, "Did she talk to me prior to this, I mean when I was asleep?" I said no! When we were stepping off the plane the attendant handed him a yellow card and said you will no longer be flying with Alaska Airlines. He asked for a Supervisor. She came up to him and asked what had happened? As he started to tell the story, a gentleman that was seated behind us said, "I am not sure why you are keeping him from flying with you but if it had to do with the comment the attendant said to him once you might talk with your cleaning crew that just passed us in the fall who do not have their masks on at all."

The supervisor listened and handed him a letter and said, "You will not longer be flying Alaska." About that time his wife walked up and said he did not do anything and for god sakes. He is burying his father. The attendant looked at him and said my father is dead too! I went to check in on the way back and they barred me from flying as well. Not a word was said to me, no letter was given. I can no longer fly with them. I was left at the airport trying to find a flight home. I have a lawyer helping me out and not that I want to fly with this company again but unfortunately the owner used Alaska credit cards.

We flew back with Delta Airlines and the attendants were more than nice, very great customer service, I would definitely recommend this airlines by far. I understand the frustration that these people in the service industry are challenged but so are the customers as well. If we all work together we can get through this but you cannot reason with unreasonable people. Customer service is her job and maybe it is time for Alaska Airlines to do some retraining!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

When flying is safe again, no airline rewards program beats the AlaskaAir Visa card. The miles earned are typical, but the use of these miles is the best in the industry: they can be used for any and all flights on Alaska Airlines or on any of their dozens of partner airlines. There are no blackout dates, the miles never expire, and reward seats are as available as any direct purchase seats. No other airline program is as "open" as Alaska's! They also give an annual "$99 companion fare," which more than offsets the $79 annual fee. They also offer a free card, but with much reduced benefits: in this case, the $79 card is a much better deal than the free card.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I do not know what kind of training she has been given, but she did an excellent job of undermining the service she is paid to provide. I can only assume she has had a VERY long week and must be dealing with some VERY stressful things at home. I think most of us are. Regardless, this is absolutely unacceptable behavior from a customer service representative, especially in a closed environment with no exit. I imagine she is frustrated from having to repeat herself with many OTHER customers, however that in no way excuses this behavior. If a person resents their job, they must not want to keep it, at least that is my perspective.

I do not have a clue what she may write in her report, but I would request you interview any and all other stewardesses as well as any customers, and I guarantee, I did not speak one word of resistance or refuse to comply in any way. I was courteous and cooperative, while understandably upset and uncomfortable with the experience.

This kind of abusive of authority is gross and unacceptable, especially without accountability. Not only did this women create a problem that never existed, she then escalated it and continued to escalate it, completely on her own, with no participation from me. That is scary and disturbing. I hope she does not retain the ability to abuse that level of power and threaten people in a helpless position. No one should have to experience what I just experienced.

Finally, I offered to talk to her calmly and reasonable as adults in hopes of resolving whatever conflict she has, as I prefer to politely talk through misunderstandings rather than escalate them, she sent me back the message through another stewardess that she was too busy eating to speak with me. That response reflects perfectly the lack of professionalism that she has demonstrated this entire flight.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

Legally they've done nothing wrong..but morally they are not good to customers... I went to a travel agency that failed to transfer my tickets... I am an indirect customer as I bought Alaska airline tickets...wanted a refund but was denied...greedy airline...no customer good will... Applied for another date...online agency failed to do anything...so I asked alaska to help... They just washed their hands of the issue..did not morally accept responsiblity...companies direct or otherwise run on good will... Well guess what...mud sticks..be it direct or indirect...I will never use this agency...same with alaska airlines...never again!!!

Original review: July 13, 2020

I bought flight insurance (the "Total Protection Plan") on a flight from Pitts burgh to Seattle in April, but couldn't travel because of coronavirus. The insurer, AIG, is asking how much the airline is crediting me. They're crediting me with $173.40 and $399. However, I CAN'T CHANGE THE DESTINATION! The conference was postponed and done online. And Alaska Air has canceled flights from Pittsburgh to Chicago, where I DO want to go. So now Expedia is giving me the run around on behalf of the airlines, so that AIG and Alaska Air can get out of doing anything! To say I'm furious is an understatement. After being on the phone for an hour, explaining the problem, and while Expedia's representatives talked with Alaska Airlines, they dropped the call. They had my number, but didn't call back. Anybody know about a class-action suit against the airline or the insurer?

Original review: June 20, 2020

I tried to get a refund due to flying to Alaska to escort family members back to a spouse in the military in Anchorage. We cancelled due to the Covid 19 Pandemic that hit Seattle. We had 3-4 hr layover in Seattle there & back. I am 73 years old & I paid for the trip over $1400. I cancelled because of pandemic & because news saying everyone over 60 stay home. We were flying on 3/17/20 & I was coming home on 3/19/20 a very short time period. The family members I was escorting included a 2 yr old. Even Yellowstone National Park was closed due to virus on 3/20/20. I am compromised with meds & age. Alaska Air said only credit but no one in my family needs to go to Alaska anymore. I will never use the tickets.

Alaska Air is getting a part of the $25 Billion bailout to airlines. So AA gets a bailout & my $1400 + too. I am retired & limited income & only trying to help out my military family & now I cannot get a refund. I had no control over this pandemic which our county has never seen before. We had stay at home orders especially for seniors. Sadly the person in Consumer Advocacy, Ray Prentice, will not even help me. So AA must be prejudice against the military & senior citizens. The refund policy should be amended to give refunds & not credit due to the virus & the bailout that AA is getting from the government from tax payer money. I would have gone if it had not been for Covid19....

Alaska Airlines Company Information