2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.9/5 (601 ratings)

About Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: March 26, 2021

They have been more than accommodating in these troubled times especially - due to flights getting canceled for whatever reason they have done everything from offer Uber for free to put me on another airline to upgrading me to first class when we did leave the airport. I am a lifelong customer of Alaska/Horizon and they have my vote for an overall 5 star rating.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I have used them for trips to California. They are clean, no frills but on time every time. A great secret and budget friendly. The name made me think they only flew to Alaska so I dismissed them, glad I finally woke up.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Alaska Airlines is the easiest to use from Washington state, the price is fair, the 1st class is the best. Lots of leg room, snacks, almost worth the price. If jets were updated a bit more I would even like them more. Also, free or reduced luggage fees would be cool also,

Original review: March 23, 2021

Alaska Airlines prices are fair, no hidden fees. Comfortable and staff very courteous and helpful. Think they must have a rigorous cleaning system because the plane looks and smells clean. They are my favorite airline.

Original review: March 22, 2021

The seats on Alaska Air are roomier than other airlines I have been on. And they are leather and very comfortable. The Staff is accommodating. I’m disabled, I use a walker. At the Nome Alaska Airport, you board by climbing stairs. I can’t climb stairs so they took me up to the plane on a cargo lift!! I love Alaska Air.

Original review: March 21, 2021

I was returning from Salt Lake City after my father passed. I had too many guns and family heirlooms overweight, explained to the ladies why I had so much baggage to check. They purchased me another piece of luggage helped downsize so as to get the weight per bag correct and waivered my freight fee. It was a blessing to me, all my treasures from my Grandparents and father arrived safely in Alaska where I now display them to my friends. Once again thanks Alaska Airlines.

Original review: March 20, 2021

Alaska is what all airlines should strive to be. First class service is remarkable. Staff is kind, courteous and very respectful of their customers' needs and concerns. Alaska for me is the most reliable, available for on time departures and arrival.

Original review: March 19, 2021

A sad day today for me. Wish I wasn’t writing this review. Been an Alaska flyer for years now. Have always loved it. Great prices. Great service. Today I don’t think I can ever go back. It’s a principle thing for me. Being a businessman, I highly value how a business treats a customer. We value our customers and put them first in EVERYTHING. Today had one of the most horrendous flights I’ve ever experienced. Halfway through my flight from Honolulu to LAX the flight attendant approached me as my mask was down after just finishing eating some snacks. As if from a hawk from her nest made sure to immediately address my mask being down and almost in a command said “Put your mask on.” Not a please. Not a “hey sir, you’re our valued customer and you help pay my bills but we have to abide by the law, can you please put your mask on.” It was a “Put your mask on now and I’m not leaving til you do.” kind of a command.

Disgusted, I put my mask up, only to find her on the prowl just 3 minutes later to see if I was abiding by her commands. My mask had fell down below my nose just a touch as it does normally when you chew and breathe and sleep on a plane. And she had no problem tapping me on the shoulder to say “Mask up above your nose now. This is your second warning and if I have to come back a 3rd time I will issue a warrant.” WOW!!

At this point I was baffled that humanity has swooped this low. I don’t care if it’s in a pandemic, or a national crisis, when I’m a paying customer there is SOME degree of customer service and generosity that is expected. No matter how small it might be. I don’t even need her to like me or even ACT like she likes me. But commanding me to take action like I’m an obedient dog awaiting orders was another level. And if it wasn’t bad enough, to issue the authority card and THREATEN to issue a warrant against me? Like to arrest me? Lol. I don’t even know what kind of warrant she was referring to, but she surely felt good letting me know she had the authority, power, and pride to do it. Just sad.

For me, this is all it takes to have me completely switch over to a different airline and never consider Alaska again. Our family has been faithful members for decades flying first class with the miles that we’ve accumulated and Alaska has finally reached its lowest point. I wish it wasn’t just one flight attendant. Because an hour later, yet another attendant came over, tapped me to wake ME up, and asked if the man next to me was a part of our party. I told her no and she reached across me to shake the 70 year old man fast asleep next to me awake and said “SIR, you need to put your mask above your nose.” As if I was absolutely disgusted enough, I wanted to tell this lady off so bad. A 70 year old man asleep? Seriously? COVID has caused good people to completely throw all logic out the window and abandon good manners and any sense of politeness or respect. And it’s all in the “Name of the law.”

Look, I get it. You have to follow laws. But why throw out your entire sense of manners and humanity? If you're a police officer, knock yourself out! I’m not your customer and I’m not expecting you to treat me very well. But even POLICE OFFICERS have the decency to approach situations with humanity and respect. When Alaska airline flight attendants are being compared to police officers, you know you have a problem.

To top off the experience, the flight attendant left me with a remark that was so loaded with sarcasm and sassiness it was sick. “Thank youuuu for flying with Alaskaaaa. Have a nice dayyyy. Bye bye nowwww.” I hope Alaska management has SOMETHING to say to their employees about this. Customer service is one of the most important elements of a business. That should go without saying. You don’t have to be a business magnate to figure that one out. So personally, the 2 flight attendants on this flight were a reflection of the disregard management has for putting the customer first. You just lost multiple long time Alaska customers because of that negligence.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Alaska Airlines is my favorite airline. They are always running deals and you can find "saver" fares the majority of the time. The flights are always clean and staff has always been friendly. I was bummed when they stopped being as COVID safe before other airlines (they started selling the middle seat before Delta) but otherwise I've never had anything bad to say. I also love you can charge your device on every one of their flights. I always seem to lose all my battery when I get in the air.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I love Alaska Airlines and have their credit card which offers a very generous companion fare annually. We have been using Alaska Airlines to fly nonstop from Sacramento CA to OGG (Maui). Sadly Alaska Airlines is no longer offering nonstop flights from SMF to OGG. We are switching over to Hawaiian Airlines because of this -- I sure wish Alaska would bring back their nonstop flights.

Original review: March 17, 2021

Alaska goes beyond expectations to ensure a quality travel experience. Their customer service is quick to solve any issues when I call. Also, their schedule is usually without any delay which allows me to plan my travel with confidence.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

The policy for Alaska on refunding tickets on flights they cancel during a pandemic is a joke. I had two flights cancelled on me. After the first flight, they gave me credits. I used those credits to buy the second flight. They then cancelled the second flight. I cannot fly any of the other schedules with my 4 year old as they are overnight flights. They now will not give me my money back when I am not able to use their airline since it seems like they continue to cancel the only flight I can use of theirs. Customer service was short and repeated the same thing over and over again and did not want to understand how the policy during a pandemic is one-sided. I now have over $600 tied up in their system and no way to use it.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Beware of fee changes: We had a direct 6 hr flight back to the mainland and Alaska cancelled the direct flight and booked us on a 2 stop 16+ hour flight. I have a bad back and could not do that so had to delay return for 10 days until Alaska started direct flights again. I am being charged the flight difference fee even though Alaska created the situation. They say no change fees, but that does not include fee differential even though they create the problem. Time to get rid of Alaska credit card and go with another airline.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I have to say that I have flown Alaska Airlines for several years, it used to be middle of the road flights with first class being ok at best compared to the other airlines. A co-worker and friend lost his father to whom I have become close with. Flew back East with his family to attend the funeral. The co-worker and myself used miles through our employment so we were on the same reservation. The flight attendant was very rude to the co-worker example didn't give him his water or nuts but made sure we all had the condiments handed out. This co-worker is very quiet and would never cause a problem. He fell asleep with his mask on and it fell under his nose.

The attendant came by and woke him up and said, "I have asked you several times to keep your mask up," which was a complete lie. I was across the aisle and she not once said anything. Because she woke him out of a dead sleep, he apologized and put it back on. After waking up, he looked at me and said, "Did she talk to me prior to this, I mean when I was asleep?" I said no! When we were stepping off the plane the attendant handed him a yellow card and said you will no longer be flying with Alaska Airlines. He asked for a Supervisor. She came up to him and asked what had happened? As he started to tell the story, a gentleman that was seated behind us said, "I am not sure why you are keeping him from flying with you but if it had to do with the comment the attendant said to him once you might talk with your cleaning crew that just passed us in the fall who do not have their masks on at all."

The supervisor listened and handed him a letter and said, "You will not longer be flying Alaska." About that time his wife walked up and said he did not do anything and for god sakes. He is burying his father. The attendant looked at him and said my father is dead too! I went to check in on the way back and they barred me from flying as well. Not a word was said to me, no letter was given. I can no longer fly with them. I was left at the airport trying to find a flight home. I have a lawyer helping me out and not that I want to fly with this company again but unfortunately the owner used Alaska credit cards.

We flew back with Delta Airlines and the attendants were more than nice, very great customer service, I would definitely recommend this airlines by far. I understand the frustration that these people in the service industry are challenged but so are the customers as well. If we all work together we can get through this but you cannot reason with unreasonable people. Customer service is her job and maybe it is time for Alaska Airlines to do some retraining!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

When flying is safe again, no airline rewards program beats the AlaskaAir Visa card. The miles earned are typical, but the use of these miles is the best in the industry: they can be used for any and all flights on Alaska Airlines or on any of their dozens of partner airlines. There are no blackout dates, the miles never expire, and reward seats are as available as any direct purchase seats. No other airline program is as "open" as Alaska's! They also give an annual "$99 companion fare," which more than offsets the $79 annual fee. They also offer a free card, but with much reduced benefits: in this case, the $79 card is a much better deal than the free card.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I do not know what kind of training she has been given, but she did an excellent job of undermining the service she is paid to provide. I can only assume she has had a VERY long week and must be dealing with some VERY stressful things at home. I think most of us are. Regardless, this is absolutely unacceptable behavior from a customer service representative, especially in a closed environment with no exit. I imagine she is frustrated from having to repeat herself with many OTHER customers, however that in no way excuses this behavior. If a person resents their job, they must not want to keep it, at least that is my perspective.

I do not have a clue what she may write in her report, but I would request you interview any and all other stewardesses as well as any customers, and I guarantee, I did not speak one word of resistance or refuse to comply in any way. I was courteous and cooperative, while understandably upset and uncomfortable with the experience.

This kind of abusive of authority is gross and unacceptable, especially without accountability. Not only did this women create a problem that never existed, she then escalated it and continued to escalate it, completely on her own, with no participation from me. That is scary and disturbing. I hope she does not retain the ability to abuse that level of power and threaten people in a helpless position. No one should have to experience what I just experienced.

Finally, I offered to talk to her calmly and reasonable as adults in hopes of resolving whatever conflict she has, as I prefer to politely talk through misunderstandings rather than escalate them, she sent me back the message through another stewardess that she was too busy eating to speak with me. That response reflects perfectly the lack of professionalism that she has demonstrated this entire flight.

Original review: July 13, 2020

I bought flight insurance (the "Total Protection Plan") on a flight from Pitts burgh to Seattle in April, but couldn't travel because of coronavirus. The insurer, AIG, is asking how much the airline is crediting me. They're crediting me with $173.40 and $399. However, I CAN'T CHANGE THE DESTINATION! The conference was postponed and done online. And Alaska Air has canceled flights from Pittsburgh to Chicago, where I DO want to go. So now Expedia is giving me the run around on behalf of the airlines, so that AIG and Alaska Air can get out of doing anything! To say I'm furious is an understatement. After being on the phone for an hour, explaining the problem, and while Expedia's representatives talked with Alaska Airlines, they dropped the call. They had my number, but didn't call back. Anybody know about a class-action suit against the airline or the insurer?

Original review: June 20, 2020

I tried to get a refund due to flying to Alaska to escort family members back to a spouse in the military in Anchorage. We cancelled due to the Covid 19 Pandemic that hit Seattle. We had 3-4 hr layover in Seattle there & back. I am 73 years old & I paid for the trip over $1400. I cancelled because of pandemic & because news saying everyone over 60 stay home. We were flying on 3/17/20 & I was coming home on 3/19/20 a very short time period. The family members I was escorting included a 2 yr old. Even Yellowstone National Park was closed due to virus on 3/20/20. I am compromised with meds & age. Alaska Air said only credit but no one in my family needs to go to Alaska anymore. I will never use the tickets.

Alaska Air is getting a part of the $25 Billion bailout to airlines. So AA gets a bailout & my $1400 + too. I am retired & limited income & only trying to help out my military family & now I cannot get a refund. I had no control over this pandemic which our county has never seen before. We had stay at home orders especially for seniors. Sadly the person in Consumer Advocacy, Ray Prentice, will not even help me. So AA must be prejudice against the military & senior citizens. The refund policy should be amended to give refunds & not credit due to the virus & the bailout that AA is getting from the government from tax payer money. I would have gone if it had not been for Covid19....

Original review: June 11, 2020

I understand with all that is going on right now that flights may have to change from time to time. But they have changed my flight four times in less than two weeks and tell me it’s because they need to get fuller flights. This is excessive! You should know how many people are going to be on that flight when you changed it the second time but to change it a third time and then again on the fourth time? Get it together Alaska! You’ve lost a long standing customer.

Original review: May 25, 2020

My husband and I are frontline health care workers moving from Baltimore to Seattle for work in 1 week. We are moving with 2 cats and due to our leases at both locations as well as having to work in the hospital once we get to Seattle, booked a specific direct flight June 1st and added our cats to come with us. 1 week from the flight we find our flight has been rerouted through another airport and they will no longer let us bring our pets. They explain that when they changed our plane yesterday they put us at the back of the line for pet tickets which were now already full on the new flight. It did not matter that we had previously booked the pet’s tickets before the flight switch.

I called and explained that given our rental situation and line of work we had no other options and they refused to help us out offering only to change the date. I was particularly offended when a supervisor said to me, “Let me explain this to you in hospital terms that you can understand.” This is an extremely stressful time for everyone, but as health care workers directly caring for covid patients and trying to move across the country, my husband and I are in a terrifying situation because of Alaska Airlines actions.

Original review: May 14, 2020

LIERS: The airline said they were requiring masks during this pandemic - while they made the announcement to do so there was ABSOLUTELY no enforcement. It was all a joke - or good advertising. It is dangerous to fly this airline. I would never trust an airline who so blatantly lie about customer safety. Even after I specifically asked them to remind people to put on masks, the attendant said it was a requirement while a passenger less than 6 feet from me blatantly had no mask on - and fell asleep that way. I finally moved closer and nudged him with a paper to ask him to put on a mask. FOR SHAME AIRLINE!!!

Original review: May 6, 2020

We booked a flight on Alaska Air from Fort Lauderdale to Seattle for a Cruise in June which was obviously cancelled, given the current Worldwide Covid-19 Pandemic. NCL did the right thing and refunded our money, after offering a substantial credit, as an option. Alaska Air on the other hand, offered us a credit that we must utilize within one year and BTW, we must do a layover in Seattle, regardless of where we are travelling to. I will never recommend this airline to anyone and in fact, I am looking into trying to gather others who have had a similar experience and possibly file a class action lawsuit. I cannot believe the management of this airline, who received a government bailout, is so short sighted and frankly, inept. The board of directors needs to take a good look at the management they have in place, because this is a potential public relations windstorm.

Original review: April 27, 2020

The one question to ask yourself is this: How is Alaska Airlines, who received hundreds of millions of dollars in the COVID-19 bailout, focused on the long-term retention of their customer base? If you believe actions speak louder than words - read this: Alaska airlines gives disgruntled passengers air miles for lost luggage, an unsatisfying experience and a plethora of other reasons - am I right? They use air miles as a retention tool, because giving a passenger air miles doesn't monetarily cost them anything.

I recently used 160,000 air miles - which I earned with my butt in an Alaska Airline seat - to travel to Spain in May 2020. Although the hotels were non-refundable, I purchased a travel protection program, which informed me my miles would be refundable should I not be able to travel due to a health related issue. Then, COVID-19 hit. Delta airlines, with whom I had non-refundable tickets - issued me a full monetary refund. Two hotels in Spain, for which I had non-refundable reservations, refunded me every dime. The bullfight and train system in Spain, for which I had non-refundable tickets, also issued me full refunds. Alaska Airlines - who received hundreds of millions of dollars in a bailout - has refused.

Here's the twist: The only refund I requested of Alaska Airlines is the air miles I used to "purchase" the hotels. When you use air miles for hotels, you also have to spend a very small portion of money, which I did, and which I did NOT ask for a refund. I was willing to lose the $500 dollars, but not my air miles. What has been the answer of Alaska Airlines? "I'm sorry Sir, there is nothing we can do." Oprah has a saying "When someone shows you who they are, believe them." What I now believe is that Alaska Airlines cares more about their short-term pain than the longer term gain of ensuring client retention. Alaska Airlines might have kept the 160,000 air miles that I used to purchase my hotel stays, but they have lost a customer for life. You have been warned.

Original review: April 24, 2020

Because of 'underbooking' my flight was cancelled not once but twice. The rep said they couldn't issue a refund because they weren't actually cancelling me, merely 'rescheduling' my flight.. Imagine, flight numbers were changed, departure/arrival times changed by 6 hours, and a 2 hour non-stop would became 6 hours with one-stop.. Only speaking up the food chain got me my well deserved refund. Alaska Airlines never again.

Original review: April 20, 2020

Thanks to Corona-19 Our trip has been canceled. While scheduled to fly to Tahiti on Wednesday April 17 then Cruise to Hawaii and Finally on May 3 Fly from Seattle back home to North Carolina, Our trip has been canceled. While trying to get my money back all the people with Alaska can tell me is that they can issue me a credit to fly with them at a later date. The flight has not been canceled, but the plane flight number and time has been changed, BUT NOT an hour's difference. It has changed one time by 10 minutes and then another time by 40 minutes. It has been underneath an hour so it does not qualify.

Alaska's flight routes and schedules do not work with what My wife and I need to book. When you try to send an email to the following people: Trudy Dobbins Customer Care Manager, (trudy.dobbins@alaskaair.com); Wayne Newton Vice President, Airport Operations and Customer Service (wayne.newton@alaskaair.com); Ben Minicucci President and Chief Operating Officer (ben.minicucci@alaskaair.com) and Chief Executive Bradley D. Tilden (brad.tilden@alaskaair.com), NO ONE from Alaska gets back in touch with me. It is obvious that they ONLY care about their bottom dollar. If anyone else has had problems like this please post.

Original review: April 11, 2020

The seats were so dirty in a supposedly just "cleaned an hour ago" that the attendant had to wipe all three down and the trays and chunks of sticky goo... Mold on the exit door over the wing was bad... The bathroom was so disgusting I stepped in feces and there was urine everywhere... I threw my shoes away! Dirtiest flight of my life... All we needed were chickens and some gas cans.. It was so not ok. I have both videos and pics which are a little hard to deny Alaska! Your own crew cleaning and the toilet filled with paper towels and not paper...

Original review: April 10, 2020

We booked flights back at the beginning of February 2020 to fly the first week of April 2020 to Alaska. Then COVID-19 turned into a huge issue. We cancelled these flights at the beginning of March 2020. These were booked as non-refundable flights. Since Alaska enacted a policy in March 25th, 2020 that all visitors to Alaska have to self-quarantine for 14 days if they come to Alaska, I called Alaska Air to see if there was any option for a refund and was told absolutely not. I can have a credit towards a future flight. Great, when the economy is the toilet and my husband was laid off, we can rest assured that at least we can book our vacation later in the year. I understand policy under normal times but with everything going on, we are more interested in paying our mortgage than we are in taking a vacation anytime soon.

Original review: April 8, 2020

In 2019 I booked 4 round trip flights to Anchorage for fishing trip in July on phone with Alaska Airlines on phone. I explained that 2 of us had possible medical conditions and was assured that we would be returned mileage used and money would be credited to wallet if CANCELLATION was necessary. Our good friend passed away at the time of our flight. Mileage used was returned and $1100 was put in a wallet, after we paid a $250 fee. 2 of us had planned to take the trip in June 2020. Now the virus is here and that trip is not happening. The wallet cash has to be used by 5/2020 for a flight which can only go out to March 2021. I have requested an extension for our wallet cash to enable us to take a 2021 summer trip to both Alaska Airlines and Alaska Mileage plan. Both said they have no way to help us. We will now lose $1100 plus $250 due to death and the virus. Very disappointed in Alaska.

Original review: April 1, 2020

My son has a friend in Salt Lake who he wanted to visit. We booked a flight with Alaska Air in January to fly out on April 2nd. You can imagine his disappointment when we said he could not go due to the virus pandemic issues. He had worked so hard to save his money to see his friend. When I called to cancel the flight and she told me we would get a credit for the full amount to be used at any time before a year, just the reservation completed in a year not necessarily to fly during that time. Wow, to say I was thrilled and surprised is an understatement. Thank you Alaska Air, we understand this is a very trying time for you as well. We appreciate you looking out for your customers.

Original review: March 26, 2020

Buyer Beware!!! We had a cruise cancel because of the Coronavirus, Alaska Air will not refund our money.... this just stinks!!! With the economy in the condition it is every penny counts. I highly doubt I will ever fly Alaska Air again.... Buyer Beware....

Alaska Airlines Company Information