2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.9/5 (601 ratings)

About Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alaska Airlines?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Alaska Airlines was delayed and landed late every flight out of 6 fights round trip in a week. Leave us just sitting on the dang plane forever on the tarmac not moving. No excuse for this **. 135 people on board. And the crew don't give a **. If you say something they get pissy and ask you to be seated. 3 time we waited on flight attendance to show up. Then they are rude to you cause they are late. Unreal. ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE ANYWHERE ANYMORE

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

We boarded a plane home from Costa Rica. When getting in our seats my husband pulled down his mask to communicate to our children where to sit. The flight attendant Tyler immediately told my husband to put his mask on, which my husband did. My husband explained he was trying to help our children. The flight attendant then told us we were going to be a problem. This made us uneasy. Right after this another flight attendant started yelling at another passenger about their mask and threatened to extradite the man.

At this point I had the worst feeling about the flight. We settled into the flight. My children were doing great and were behaving the best they had on any flight. My son's mask was a little loose. I had given him the 32 degree masks from Costco and they slip. The flight attendant reminded my son to pull up his mask, which he did. Not too long after the flight attendant Tyler came to me and told me he had reminded us a lot to put up our masks. My husband told him it had only been two times. Tyler began to argue with my husband. I told Tyler a firm thank you and he left.

At this point I didn't dare rest my eyes. I kept checking my children's masks. My oldest son's mask did slip down again but I would hurry and make sure he had it up. Not once did we ever refuse to wear our masks. Not once were we unruly or trying to be a problem on the flight. We were in the last row of the plane right next to the flight attendant cabin. We could hear them talking bad about the passengers and how awful they were. They seemed really worked up. I then heard Tyler say that they might have law enforcement waiting for someone at the end of the flight. I heard another female flight attendant say, "I didn't ask for that to happen." Tyler responded, "Well it's done!"

In the back of my mind I was thinking is he talking about us? I quieted my fears and thought it must be the man they had threatened to extradite. By the conversations I was picking up in the back from the flight attendants it seemed like Tyler really enjoyed the power and was excited to watch seeing someone get kicked off. It was like he could use it at his next gathering of flight attendants where they could tell the crazy stories of what had happened to them. Not okay at the expense of a family just trying to get home with as little problems as possible. Well luckily it wasn't law enforcement, but it was Alaska Airlines employees who handed us a letter that said our connecting flight had been canceled and we are now banned from flying with Alaska Airlines. We tried to tell them that we had tried to comply and that it had been exaggerated, but they wouldn't even let us talk.

So here we are a young family of 5, stranded in LA. The same day flights were all $1000 for each family member. We rode a bus to Enterprise who was all out of one way cars. (At this point of the journey I'm holding back tears.) Luckily, there was an amazing employee there. We told him what happened. He got us a van even though he knew he might get in trouble. Honestly, it healed my heart to see someone care after we were treated so badly. We then drove home and arrived safely the next day. All is well that ends well.... except I thought this should be shared. I would never entrust Alaska Airlines with the safety of my family again.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I was trying to book flights for my son, grandson, and son's girlfriend, using my credit certificate, Alaska wallet funds, and air miles. I knew I needed help.

Linda in Phoenix walked me through each step to help me set up the flights. She was patient and so helpful. I wouldn't have been able to accomplish this myself. Thanks so much, Linda!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Alaska Airlines canceled our flight reservation without warning nor refund. We had not purchase flight insurance and they refused to reschedule us on another flight. As a result we had to pay last minute fees to make another airlines flight. The Alaska staff was very rude about this and provided us no help. I would not recommend this airline.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021
I give Alaska Airlines 1 star because they have tried to rob me, the checking department at the airport. Even though I had ample of time to reach the gate, which I did, there were no representative to help out to print the boarding pass. When I went in there, they’re like, “Oh, you’re late.” It was still 40 minutes for me, I cleared my security check within 5 minutes. They charged me money, and they rebooked my flight to a different time. It was all fishy, suspicious. It happened in San Francisco Airport. Very bad service. I’ve never faced this before. So, it’s bad.
Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Flight was about to land and then went back into the air without any communication from the flight crew. The plane seemed to be circling. The main issue is the lack of communication. The flight was about an hour late. Customer service offered only a $100 discount promo to be used on future flights but my spouse and I will never fly with Alaska again. Customer service agents on the phone were rude and unsympathetic to the situation and didn't seem to care. The customer service agents had an opportunity to make a better impression but instead they only made it much worse.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

A last minute flight at a reasonable price. I flew in on a different airline so it's an easy comparison and as usual Alaska is far superior in its pricing and amenities. My one complaint is I wish they would not permit patrons to hog the overhead. I fly with one small backpack and am often forced to stow it away many seats away from my assigned seating which prevents me from easily accessing it for meds for example.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Alaska Airlines used to be my go to airline. I loved it so much that I would fly them (even if there is a cheaper option for that route). But I will never fly them again unless it's the one and only option. I always booked my flight early to be guaranteed a first class cabin. For our last three travels with them we were downgraded to coach. They make a frequent habit of combining flights and as a result we were moved to coach and given vouchers for future travel. I understand the whole lockdown issue but it's frustrating being bumped 3 consecutive times. I am traveling with them again in a couple of weeks but that is it.

I called Reservation to express my frustration and had to insist on getting a refund of the difference instead of getting more vouchers for future travel. I also tried to reach out to management by completing their online form and waited over a month just to get an email letting me know that they cannot help me. That I need to call Reservation to complain. I get it Alaska Airlines - you just don't care about your customers any longer. I finally got your message and will no longer travel with you. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

My grandson (age 13) and I have reservations from SeaTac to El Paso on the same flight. Alaska assigned me a seat and not my grandson. I called to have him placed next to me and they are charging $125.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

First I want to give a shout out to the Alaska employees in Detroit on July 30th. They helped my disabled mother and I greatly. They didn't make me struggle with luggage, wheelchair, walker, alone. They were very helpful. They changed seats for us because we were in the back of the airplane. They shuffled people around and got us in aisle 13. They transferred her to her seat well from the wheelchair to the aisle seat.

Now why can't Seattle Alaska employees do the same? On July 23rd they were seriously lacking. I was told I had to move everything including my mom out of the way of the line because I had to print my own luggage tickets before I could check my luggage. Really? So I'm moving the wheelchair, walker, suitcase, and 2 carry on as well as my mom out of the way with no assistance. Then I get to the machine to print out bag tags and there is no category for a walker or a wheelchair. When asked no one can answer what I should do. I decide to choose the stroller category for both.

Once I get my mom, luggage, carry ons, wheelchair and walker back in line an employee finally recognizes that I am having issues moving everything through the line. She sends us to a newly opened assistant. I am then asked if we are taking the wheelchair to the gate. I reply yes and am then asked why I printed out three luggage tickets. I replied because I was told to. I am told that the wheelchair does not need a ticket because it will get a gate ticket. Well if you would not have made me print my own baggage tickets we would not have the problem of too many baggage tickets. Since they were able to eliminate a baggage ticket I realized they were probably just as capable to print the tickets out in the first place. They ask if my mom can walk to her seat and I reply no. All this information was included in my reservation by the way. They ask if I need an aisle seat repeatedly. I say I guess so if that is what someone who cannot walk to their seat needs.

Once they did transfer her to the aisle chair the guys did not know how to fasten her in and kept letting her elbows hit the seats. Please train your Seattle workers to have some kind of empathy for those that are disabled and for those traveling with the disabled. Once again thank you Detroit Alaska employees for a fantastic experience. Seattle employees need to train with the Detroit crew.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Alaska cancelled our connecting flight without notice. Added hours to our layover with a 10 month old. Staff was at best completely useless, at worst insulting with their placations. Alaska must have a lot of people with an unofficial title of "Professional Useless Person" given the enormous number of Alaska dieg walking around. Everything seemed to be everyone else's department. It's amazing how many employees you need to tell someone to call customer service. This used to be a great airline. Now it is my last choice.

Original review: July 15, 2021

It is pretty simple, whether it is policy some fine line **, I will never use them again and will refer others to the do the same. I had a memorial in Reno and I arrived at the desk to check in 35 minutes before my flight, And they claim they already sold my seat. I had plenty of time to get through check in and to the gate as I was travelling light. I was told the next was was later 12 hours later. Ultimately I did not take the flight because there was no point as I would have missed the memorial. And then, I am told I get no refund or flight credit for it. I tell you what, where I come from that is straight horrible customer service and ethically wrong.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Flying back from San Francisco to Los Angeles on a Saturday after a one day work trip, I received an email when I awoke offering me a $250 voucher to change my flight to another day -- I was supposed to fly out at 1030pm after a day of work to get home to see my family and we had plans the following morning. So I naturally ignored the email.

Cut to 6pm, when I am informed the 1030pm flight has been canceled and I am flying out the next day at 530pm. After getting on with reservations to change my flight out to 930am the following morning and maybe salvage some of my plans (I couldn't ultimately), I didn't receive a confirmation email about my itinerary. I called back a few hours later and requested it again. Still did not receive an email. Had to call a third time -- it's 1130pm by this point -- and demand an email to be sent while I sat on the phone. However, all that was sent was a receipt, but I was assured I was on the flight.

Cut to 8am Sunday, the following morning at SFO and I can't check in at a kiosk. After an hour of standing in line at the zoo in front of the Alaska Air check in stations, I get my boarding passes and am told to call Customer Care (closed till Monday) about being reimbursed for everything I spent while having to stay the extra night in San Francisco. This is important -- I asked REPEATEDLY how to deal with reimbursement. They told me just to call customer care with no instruction -- all operators, all people I talked to in Alaska air outfits at the airport.

So I call customer care. They honor the vouchers they suspiciously sent me earlier in the day on Saturday -- though the operator gets super defensive when I ask why the flight was canceled, she said crew issues, and I ask if they knew that was going to happen with the voucher email -- but demand ALL reimbursements have ITEMIZED receipts. NO ONE told me to do this -- I had receipts for everything but not all of them were itemized. Finally the operator admitted to me that Alaska had limited staff, tons of layoffs, tons of people retiring, etc and it becomes a domino effect down to the customers.

However, they still refused to reimburse for the full amount. Despite them canceling the flight. Despite giving zero instruction about how to properly get reimbursed. Despite wasting hours of my time just to get myself home. Maybe they don't send an email to every passenger whose flight they have canceled (something they can easily do) explaining how to get reimbursements per their company policies, because it's easier to make it difficult for people they have inconvenienced, for those people to make mistakes as they are scrambling to reschedule their travel plans, as they get frustrated from waiting on hold repeatedly with "customer care" to get all the money they spent back.

Don't fly with them until they get their house is in order (that will probably be a while). And if you do, there's a good chance your flight will be canceled -- I'd actually flown with them a month before and they did the same thing, only booked my family on a flight just a few hours later, so it was not a big deal. And if they do cancel your flight, itemize your receipts and stay in the most expensive hotel you can possibly find a room in.

Original review: July 10, 2021

First leg of the trip we paid hundreds of dollars to choose our seats and make sure our family was together since we have two kids. Well, they "couldn't find" our seats even though I had a very ear and detailed receipt in my email... When I showed them the email they were like "ooohhh... not sure why that didn't come up in our system. Well, we already gave those seats away so we will have to split up your family." To make matters even more laughable... even though I paid hundreds to have specific seats, 3 of us were seated in the very back row against the bathroom.

We had a 45 minute layover... I let them know that before boarding and I was told that "45 minutes was plenty of time"... It wasn't. The flight released us late because no one was at the gate to get us off so we sat on the tarmac for about a half hour making us late for our next flight. But that didn't matter because our next flight was delayed 3.5 hours... I begged to be put on a flight to another airport in the DC area (there were two leaving shortly, one to BWI and one to Dulles)... They had enough seats for my family but they complained the employees I spoke to complained that the paperwork would "take 5 minutes" and were absolutely unwilling to help us. I guess they already had our money so didn't care if we were happy or not. Both planes were old and beat up.. Totally uncomfortable. I fly quite often and have never had so many problems. Never again, Alaska Airlines.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I bought 6!! 1st class tickets to take my son and his buddies with their dads to Alaska and your terrible airline checks me in at airport gives me all boarding passes then when I got to the gate they moved my seats!!!! This is **!!!! And we have a connecting flight from Seattle to Juneau that you screwed up too and now my son and I are separated from his own birthday!!!! We are missing car transportation- the ferry ride to the island we’re staying at and they have no ferries for hours 'cause you move us off our flight. I want to be contacted immediately. I want my money back.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I fly with dogs, so that means I have to call customer service every time I fly. Not only do I have to wade through voice recognition (the rudest modern invention around) but the hold times have become astronomical. They do have a call-back option, but you better be sitting staring at your phone for that 45 minutes, because if you don't pick up on the dot, they'll hang up on you. I am an Alaskan born and I wish we could take the name away from them. I don't want to be associated with such poor service. My current plan is to burn out my air miles and find a new airline. My loyalty is gone. Old man Wein would roll over in his grave.

Original review: June 14, 2021

Absolutely the worst experience ever. I highly recommend you avoid Alaska Airlines at any cost. I was planning to enjoy my first vacation since the covid shutdown in Honolulu Hawaii. However, the airline's representative denied me boarding the flight. They claimed the travel agency did not pay for my tickets. When I called the travel agency, which was after flight departure already, they looped the airline representative in the call, airline representative admitted it is their fault. At this point, their mistake cost me losing my vacation, my Covid test, Uber rides, and Hotel cancelation fees.

It is absolutely absurd what they have done. Now I lost my vacation, I do not know when I will be able to have a new vacation from work. They have cost me a lot of money and are not even considering reimbursing me for my losses caused by their employees not doing their diligence. I am not satisfied with their conduct and handling their mistakes. I am so angry for losing the vacation I was dreaming of having after a tough year dealing with Covid stress. They are really the worst, please do yourself a huge favor, avoid Alaska Airlines.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Alaska's customer service was extraordinary in our recent flight from SF to Boston. Honestly, we had screwed up our reservation, finding out that the flight we had booked had departed two days earlier! They busted their tails to get us on board a full flight, with seats together. (I don't know how they did that...) It was complicated by my wife's severely limited mobility, yet they just blazed us through with speed and courtesy. I always liked Alaska, but often price-shopped. Not any more, though, not any more.

Original review: May 9, 2021

Alaska Airline is supposed to be a reputable company without unethical blemish. That was the impression I got flying Alaska in 1989. Along with the food served in first class was a little card containing biblical verses. So I continued to utilize Alaska for all my business travels. Even with my recent bad and negative experience, I have just completed two trips on Alaska flying first class. But, I am troubled and disgusted by the fact that Shannon, one of Alaska Arline supervisor would advise me to go to court to resolve a dispute of $776.00 stolen by notorious Justfly.com (already facing massive lawsuit in CA because of their fraudulent practices). What happened to integrity and decency at Alaska?

My story: I have an existing travel credit (travel certificate) of $776.00 from Alaska airline with Justfly, but Justfly has consistently refused to release the ticked to me claiming that Alaska airline has put "airline control " on the certificate. But several weeks ago I had a three-way call with Alaska airline representatives (Cindy and Karen) and justfly representative Jonathan where Cindy of Alaska airline specifically told Justfly- Jonathan that was not true. Alaska reps instructed Jonathan that Justfly should remove the “ airline control” immediately and allow me to rebook my travel to anywhere that Alaska airline goes domestically.

I have spent hours and days and months on the phone with more than 4 reps of Justfly, but no resolution. I have just spoken to Mike (the second time I would talk to this guy). I requested to speak to a supervisor, but he danced around and again transferred my call to a non-responsive back-door support team. For over an hour, nobody answered the call. This online SCAM rejoices in squeezing their customers. I am disappointed that Alaska is doing business with a SCAM and fraudulent online company (Justfly.com). See:

"San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera filed a civil lawsuit (PDF) in California Superior Court against Justfly, claiming the company hid its fees, used misleading disclosures, advertised bait-and-switch fares, and pushed largely useless travel insurance, among other questionable tactics.

The complaint notes that Justfly, which also does business as Flighthub, has accumulated more than 2,000 consumer air travel complaints with the Better Business Bureau in just two years, far more than any other travel agency. It has also drawn numerous complaints on social media and consumer and travel websites.

“Our lawsuit lays out the stunning array of undisclosed fees and predatory practices that Justfly employed,” says Herrera. "Consumers are entitled to honest and transparent pricing, not hidden fees and misleading disclosures." Herrera is seeking an injunction and penalties against Justfly, as well as restitution for consumers who lost money because of its allegedly unfair practices."

After much frustration, I came back to Alaska and spoke with Shannon. After confirming that Alaska has the custodian of the ticket, she then said to me that there was nothing Alaska could do to help me and that if I need to go to court, I should feel free to do so. That was a shock to me that a service airline would advise a customer to go to small claim court to resolve $776.00 ticket. SHAME ON SHANNON! The two tickets for my wife and I are in the Alaska reservations system and good to be used till 9/30 2021. Is there a decent and caring person at Alaska who can help my wife and I to ensure that we use the tickets between now and September to travel to anywhere Alaska goes?

Original review: April 7, 2021

Avoid this Airline if possible. It's an inhumane cattle service. Tiny seats and I only weigh 120lbs. Flights are booked, no spacing, it's scary even without Covid. Very Rude as well. Horrific service, overcrowded, I feel sorry for air hostess as this puts them in jeopardy too. Hail Delta!

Original review: April 4, 2021

Alaska Airlines - Not good for families and they are not keeping their promise. Please be careful and think twice about purchasing main cabin tickets! I made a reservation for Spring break, we’ll in advance with Alaska Airlines from Seattle to Kona for our family of 5. The trip was booked already in November 2020 and departure was 3 April 2021. To be sure that we all could sit together, I purchased the main cabin tickets, which came at a $89 higher cost per ticket vs the super saver tickets. I saw the value in being able to choose seats and make sure that the family could stay together. It feels more important to do that when you are traveling with kids under 12 in particular now during the Covid pandemic.

Then 6 March, Alaska Air informed that there had been a change. Instead of a direct flight, there was now a connecting flight via San Diego i.e. a detour of approx 4 hours. With less than a month to spring break it wasn’t possible to find any alternative flights to a price which was affordable. This was of course by itself a big disappointment since we had to wake up at 3 AM to make it to the first flight and make this detour. When I did the web check-in on the 2 April, I realized that Alaska had changed seat assignments so the whole family was spread out across the plane. It wasn’t possible for me to change seats on the web since the planes on both legs were fully booked. I called to Alaska Air's customer service.

After 20 min in queue, I was told that they only could help to change seats at the airport. On the morning 3 April, we got to the airport. At the baggage drop I asked if they could help to reassign the seats so that my family could be together and I was told that they only could do this at the gate. At the gate, I got support and it was possible to reassign seats so that we all sat on the same row from Seattle to San Diego but on the long flight (6,5 hours) from San Diego to Kona it was not possible hence my family had to sit spread out in the plane.

When contacting Alaska Air customer support, I was told that situations like this can happen. I was offered some discount code on Alaska Air as courtesy. When asking to be refunded for what I paid extra for having the option to select seats, I only got the answer that they can’t refund a ticket which already is used and as per contract they have the rights to reassign seats at any time, which not is how the main cabin ticket option is explained at Alaska Airlines web page. Very bad customer experience and I would advise anyone thinking about traveling with Alaska Air to see if there are other options. Clearly they are not keeping their promises and you might get surprises if you are traveling as a family. I paid totally $445 for main fare tickets vs saver tickets, something that I couldn’t use and Alaska Air didn’t even refund this part.

Original review: April 4, 2021

I flew on Alaska Airlines (Flight 51) yesterday from Chicago to Seattle. During my flight l experienced a significant in my glucose level. You see, l’m diabetic. This resulted in me feeling light headed and dizzy. Fortunately, there was a flight attendant close by and l turned to him for help. I asked him if he could please get me something sweet to drink. I told him that a Pepsi or Cola drink will do. He told me that he get me the drink. He didn’t and l did not see him again for more than one hour.

At this point, l had become jittery and more confused. As luck would have it, l remembered that l had saved half of my sandwich, Macademia cookies and half coke from from my lunch at Subway. I was able to find them in my bag after a long search. I just couldn’t remember where in my bag l had placed the leftover from my lunch. I ate one of the cookies and finished the remainder of my drink. This really helped me but l didn’t know how long this sugar boost would last. I still had three hours of flight time ahead of me.

Now, the flight attendant showed up after more than one hour following my request for help with something sweet to drink. He came to where l was and apologized for having forgotten my drink. I told him that that was fine and that l found the Cola drink that l brought with me. I told him that l would still appreciate getting another Cola drink seeing that l did not know if l would experience another glucose drop. He told me that he will right way and left.

I did not see him again. Nor did l talk to another flight attendant about my request. I just did not because l did not want it to sound that l was complaining about the failure of the male attendant. Well, close to 20 minutes before. We reached our destination, this flight attendant showed up with some Milage deal that Alaska Airline was offering. The offer appeared attractive and l was almost tempted to sign up for it. Then, l thought otherwise. That their attendant had ignored my cry for help combat my emergent health condition. I shared my concern with him. And he told me that he had forgotten my request for something to help me with. He had forgotten for the second time. Really? I didn’t know what make of his excuse except that l felt that he endangered my life.

Original review: April 2, 2021

This airline was once regarded as one of the best but that description is quickly dissolving. It seems like there is a mechanical issue very frequently that causes delays and cancellations. As a result I have missed connections, meetings, and have lost money. Please try to make sure your planes are ready to go before it takes off. That's what Maintenance is there for....

Original review: April 1, 2021

The customer service is by far the best in this industry. The staff truly try to be your best, and most helpful friend for the duration of your itinerary. Alaska's equipment is always topnotch, and if a problem arises, they take great care to get you safely to your destination. The in-flight experience is the best I've ever had, and unrivaled compared to other airlines in my experience. I will always recommend Alaska to anyone that might need or want the best.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I've flown Alaska six times now into and out of Missoula MT from Sacramento CA. The flight service has been good, the flights on time and the planes are pretty comfortable. I feel comfortable that they are doing a good job of cleaning and sanitizing the planes, in fact they were on the plane cleaning before we were all off the plane on my last trip. I don't like the price I've paid for checked bag, but it's actually gone down for my upcoming trip.

Original review: March 31, 2021

They keep a tight schedule and serve great food. Once when I missed a connection due to baggage issue they paid my expenses to stay another day at the hotel till my baggage arrived. They have always been friendly and courteous to us and helped with any issue that we have had even it wasn't their fault.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I've been flying with Alaska for many years and feel like their family!! There has been many times when circumstances have required interaction with the stewardesses or other employees. In all cases they have resolved any issues, problems and made me feel comfortable!

Original review: March 29, 2021

Service is great but seats could be more comfortable. The seats need more padding, width, and legroom. I am a short person and find myself too close to the next seat. There is not enough space between passengers and feels too closed in.

Original review: March 28, 2021

They say one thing on the phone and then deny saying it when you miss your flight. They did not follow safety guidelines about capacity. The manager on the phone was dismissive and did not start the refund like he said.

Original review: March 27, 2021

I’ve been using this airline for years and find it fine to use. Airline service has gone downhill in all the airlines I’ve used in the last few years but I think Alaska has done about the best. Easy to book, not a lot of unwanted surprises when you get to the airport and good customer service. The pilots do well too, good take offs and landings and always friendly.

Alaska Airlines Company Information