2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.9/5 (1070 ratings)

About Advantage Rent-A-Car

Advantage Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

A car reservation with Advantage was made using a debit card thru Expedia. When we went to pickup the car we were told they didn't accept Debit cards. This appears to be unlawful false advertising under New Mexico Statutes 57-15-1 through 57-15-10 and Section 57-15-2.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Save yourselves time and money and book a car with a legitimate car rental. It might look like Advantage is a cheaper option in the beginning but trust me you will end up paying WAYYYY more than you imagine. Hidden charges everywhere. Oh and don't expect to get any customer support. They won't answer the phones, nor reply to emails. I have been trying to get a receipt for my recent booking for the past 3 days and I can't get a hold of them. I mean all I want is the ** receipt with the breakdown of why I need to pay almost double of what I originally though i would have. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

In September 14th, 2019, I tried to rent a car in advance for October 6th, 2019, in Las Vegas. On Firefox browser, I get a choice of cars but the buttons to select a car seems broken (not responsive). On Chrome, I get a "No cars available" warning, but I suspect the website is also broken on Chrome because I tried to rent a car for the farthest date the website permits (September 13th, 2020) and there is still a "No available cars" warning. Can't rent a car on the website? I got to a concurrent (Enterprise Rent a Car).

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

My husband and I took our first trip to New England area. At the counter we were told that the tolls DID NOT take cash anymore and it would be wise to purchase an EZ pass. Not knowing if this was true we questioned that advice. Another lady came over to explain it to us and told us the same thing that most of the tolls did not take cash. We bought an EZ pass for $59.00. Well the tolls DO TAKE CASH and the total amount from Boston to Maine was only $10.25. We were even told that just driving from the airport to downtown Boston we would enter a toll road which was a lie. They must get a bonus for scamming people to buy that pass. While we were waiting to finish we heard the same lie told to every customer. I will never rent another car from Advantage again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

When I was picking up the car at the Denver airport location the employee behind the desk said that i just needed to sign a few boxes and that I would be on my way. The boxes popped up he said “just scroll to the bottom and initial”. Said nothing about collision insurance on the car. I asked him if there would be anymore charges and he said “nope, everything is paid for”. The day after I returned the car I was charged $240 for insurance, which I was “tricked” into signing. I have contacted customer service over the issue and they refuse to refund me. Terrible customer service and i would not recommend this company! I didn’t want to put 1 star however it made me select 1 to continue.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!! I was charged 200$ extra because they said I did not bring the tank full! Of course they are lying. We fueled it up at the gas station right next to them. We even asked the guy that took the car from us if everything is ok and if we can leave. He said yes (** moron). We complained and they asked for a proof. We called the gas station and asked for the receipt. I sent them the receipt and they said that the receipt is just for half of tank.. Of course it was for half of tank... the other half was already full. They asked for all the receipts for fueling the car while we were on our vacation. Gas stations delete the receipt after one week! That is just ** ridiculous! They have the worst customer service support. Their employees are idiots. They just lie to your face so they can get more money out of you. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND them even to my worst enemy.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

Prior to renting a car through Advantage I read previous reviews and I thought to myself, it can't be that bad. However, it was. I rented from Advantage because of the originally cited low price. My final bill was 3x the original cited fee.. I was talked in to using the gas on site because it would be "the same price" and easier." However, I not told about the FPO charge of 48.00 for this service. In addition, I was asked if I wanted to add an additional driver, and again told that this would make things "easier" never being told there was an additional charge of 13.49 a day for this. The car itself was only 14.40 a day. The agent spoke about her family as she asked me to sign paperwork and looking back on it, I believe this was a purposeful distraction tactic. If you do choose to rent a car from Advantage, pay very close attention to extra charges and to the documents you sign. Also review the bill carefully.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

They will charge you an arm and a leg with someone else's toll charges and leave you to deal with the toll administration by yourself. Be aware if you don't give in to their predatory up-selling of their EZ Toll service.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

We did our research prior to booking a rental car out of Boston/Logan airport. Many other quotes included all taxes and fees and were much lower than final bill from Advantage, were we ever shocked! We used Priceline so that was their out for not refunding anything? Original rental rate $235.71. By the time we got done with EZ Pass ($10 per day), and all the fees/taxes/refueling the final bill was $483.81. I could have rented a much more comfortable, upgraded (this was a Hyundai Elantra SE) from other agencies for same or less! Also, they wanted an extra $100 for additional driver (we declined) along with insurance and roadside plan! Will not use them again, buyer beware.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

Did not have a car..Said Priceline canceled my reservation... Priceline said they didn't. Not happy. Will never use Priceline or Advantage or EZ car rental ever ever again. Good bye. Thanks for nothing. Smh.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Advantage were the car rental provider at Atlanta airport as partner of Auto Europe through whom I rented the car in the UK. Tired after a 9 hour flight the staff at Advantage were disinterested and the electronic device on which I was made to sign (electronically) my agreement or otherwise to the options showed no more than a single line of text. At each point I reiterated that I had already purchased the option or was declining it. The staff member just kept saying "That's Ok. It's included". The invoice produced was deliberately misleading and after returning the car and being charged for insurance and breakdown I had not opted to purchase attempts to engage Advantage were simply rebuffed. I would NEVER use them again.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

In renting a car, the sales person explained that if I drove through a toll I would be charged a really high price, but if I added the toll service I would only be charged if I drove through a toll. I did not drive through any tolls, and they charged me anyway. I contacted their headquarters and they just referred to the agreement and they would not issue a full refund. They credited half the amount, which is ridiculous. This was a total scam, the employee was a long term employee and if this is the case, she knew that I would be charged if I used it or not.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I found a Hotwire deal for Advantage car rental online. I placed my reservation, and my total was 467 dollars. When my trip came I picked up my car and declined all extra insurance. The representative said ok and I was given a receipt to sign that showed just under $467 dollars. After my trip, I noticed an extra charge on my credit card and it was Advantage. I was billed from Hotwire of 467 dollars, then Advantage for 417 dollars. The grand total on Hotwire said 467 dollars. I gave Advantage the benefit of the doubt and called. Of course, I have shuffled around and was told that was extra insurance. I told them I declined extra insurance and asked why I was paying double from the advertised price? I was not given an answer and they told me there was nothing they could do. I was then told to call back another day. I will be protesting this charge and I will NEVER use Advantage again, they are a scam.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

After waiting 45 minutes for the shuttle to take me and my family to the rental location, I waited almost an hour to speak with an agent. I was talked into upgrading, being assured the SUV I signed up for because the rate was so good online, would not work on the mountainous roads of CO. Then I was told I had signed up for Premium service and could bring the car back without filling with gas and would be charged the pump price. Not so and was charged $10.99 per gallon when the pump price was $2.41 at this time.

I argued at the time but like other renters, I had a flight to catch (and was traveling with a family of 2 children and 2 grandparents in their mid 80s). I thought I could straighten this out with Customer service which was a road block and said NO to everything. They even said they would get back to me in 24-48 hours and I never heard a word back. This location is a rip-off! Do not rent from them. You will have long waits and then pay more than at other rental companies. I travel for work and rent cars, this is not a typical experience.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I can understand the wait for an Advantage Shuttle at LAX but the line at the business was ridiculous. One customer service rep and a couple others showed up after we had been in line for about 40 minutes. You would think a reputable company would know how many rentals they had booked to go out and be prepared to handle the situation. The wait in line was lengthy. STRIKE ONE. The reserved car I paid for was a Camry or similar. The agent informed us they did not have ANY vehicles on the lot to fit the reservation and offered a minivan or an Elantra. STRIKE TWO. We informed the agent which roads we would be traveling and he assured us that we would be hitting many toll roads. Believing him to be a truthful person we paid the $32.97 for three days of E-Z toll. Never saw a toll on all the roads we traveled. STRIKE THREE. What a sham of an operation. Live and learn. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Was charged $200 for cleaning the car when it just had normal cleaning to be done. Nothing outside the normal cleaning needed to be done. I've rented from places in the past and never been charged cleaning fees.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

Advantage car rental horror stories! Stay away from a company that is stuck in the cesspool of vermin filled with hate and disrespect! “Take the money and run“ should be their motto. Unscrupulous business practices Will surely be their downfall...

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

April 8 2019. We Rented a car with PC Travel which included a Toyota Camry. Wanted to add my spouse as a driver they told me I would have to do it when I picked up the car. Went to pick up the car and add a driver. The man at the desk told me he could give me a two for one deal! HA DON'T BE FOOLED, seems they didn't have the car I booked. Tried to pawn me off with Toyota 4Runner. When I went and seen how big this was I said, "No, I want the car I booked." He again told me he had a Chrysler caravan, I again said no. After more than 2 hour of our holiday wasted they gave us a SUV Ford Titanium. My agreement with PC Travel said to pay $274.89 at pickup for a Toyota Camry. We ended up paying $443.50 US. Advantage has said I asked for a upgrade vehicle! NO I DID NOT! Advantage rental NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

The worst car rental place ever JFK. They are so rude. They gave me a car with a bounce of dents on the car. The inside side was so dirty and smelled like ** smoke. Then I tried to extend the car and they told me another $200 deposit on top of the one they already had. Please people do not rent from here. Hertz is the best by far. I rented a car for 2 months with no problem. They are the best.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I rented a car through Priceline/Advantage to be picked up in Denver. The gentleman who checked me out added toll charge for $9.99. When I told him I would not be using the toll road, he said and I quote - "no problem, if you don't use it, we will issue a credit." Well the lady at Advantage said and I quote = "that is a lie". At least that is what I understood from her heavy accent. In addition, they charged me $12.87 for something that I still cannot determine what it is for. My next review will be to Priceline. I have not been able to reach them via phone. Go with Hertz. Even if they are more expensive, it is so worth the hassle.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

The customer service rep (Meagan at Denver Airport) added the collision waiver insurance (CDW) to my rental agreement after I specifically refused it orally at time of rental. I was not aware of this until I had already returned the vehicle. Advantage Customer Service stated they would investigate and provide a reply why this happened within a time frame of 48 hours which didn’t happen. An email was sent requesting status of the issue which was never answered. When finally contacted by telephone, Advantage only agreed to refund 50% of the cost of the Unagreed to CDW insurance. I believe I was defrauded and lied to by this company and will never use them again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

My first time I rented out of state by myself! I was told $200 of my $342 for a 4 day rental was a deposit fee. Once a week goes by I wasn’t refunded and called customer service and Ryan whom does speak English well at all was very rude and condescending, trying to review the rates (which I had receipt in front of me) but I told him my situation over and over and asked to speak to a supervisor which he said was sitting next to him but by the end of the conversation he told me his supervisor “Jio” wasn’t there. Now here I sit sadden reading all the reviews that I’m just one of THOUSANDS bad reviews.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I just wasted a half hour of my life dealing with this horrific company. I rented out of Denver and I requested a refund for the E-Z toll service as the agent LIED to us, telling us if we did not use it we would be refunded. When I called for my refund, the phone agent refused to refund me. Then after 20 minutes offered $7.54. This business practice is unprofessional and frankly insulting.

Original review: July 31, 2019

Put one star because it will not let me put no starts at all but they deserve 0 stars. I made a vehicle reservation for the Puerto Rico location. Our flight was delayed so called their office in Puerto Rico twice and let them know. The man that answered (after the many times I called someone finally answered) told me that I just had to be there before 9 because they closed at 9 pm. I gave them my name so they knew the name of the reservation. Arrived at 8 pm and ran outside to look for shuttle (while family got luggage). No shuttle. Called them and after several calls finally someone answered. They told me that my reservation was cancelled and that they had no car. As a result we were stranded at the airport for hours. They did not to help and truly did not care.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I rented a car that was described as a Toyota Yaris or similar. I was given a Hyundai Accent that ran like crap and had no hubcaps. On the 2nd day in the 115 degree heat the check engine light came on and the car wouldn't go over 20 mph. I had to park it as it was barely running. I called Advantage and I was told I would have to tow it at my cost and if decided that it was not my fault the vehicle stopped running I may get reimbursed. I was stranded in the scorching heat and Advantage would not help me. Awful. Just awful.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Phoenix Sky Harbor - I had the worst customer service at the beginning of my FIRST rental experience with Advantage. I rented a car on 7-24-19. Upon arrival the front desk salesperson had zero personality, offered me no additional insurance and worked at a snail's pace. I was second in line and by the time I was done the line had expanded to 9 plus people with a 2nd agent finally showing up to assist. Once I was directed to the location of the car rental I proceeded to the spot. Upon arriving, I gave my name. Basically it went like this, "You're in stall 34, inside the car you fill out the sheet yourself for any problems with the car." The keys were slammed on the counter and not even an exchange of pleasantries were exchanged. I knew right then and there this was going to not go well.

Once I checked the car, I had difficulty trying to lower the seat. Alas no one was there to help figure it out. I didn't see any dents on the car so I proceeded to drive out. The person in charge of checking the rental agreement made no greetings. In fact didn't say a word. Just looked at the papers and open the gate. Once I got past that I noticed that gas was diesel. That's pretty interesting that a VW was running on diesel. Then I realized that I ordered a Camry not a VW. Again, I got a sinking feeling that this was all going bad. I then noticed that the tank was 3/4 full. It dawned on me that no one offered me any additional insurance, which I always buy.

Upon returning the car, the representative said nothing other than ,"You're going to be charged for returning the car for less than a tank." I told him the tank was 3/4 full. His response "Do you have any proof?" (with an attitude) At this point I had enough. I told him, "This is the absolute WORST car rental company in the business, absolutely horrible customer service." He just walked away. I went upstairs, asked for the manager told him the story and basically just got brushed aside. He offered nothing but his esteemed resume of 15 years at Avis and made no reference of acknowledging my situation other than he was surprised I wasn't offered insurance since it's a way Advantage makes money.

I will be putting Advantage on notice with reviews on Social Media and do my best to make sure your horrid customer service practices and the quality of employees you have are exposed for your style of business. My business motto will now consist of this '"Anyone but Advantage." I'd wish you luck but I know it would be insincere. What you should do is find another job. This company wont last.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Recently I rented a car from Advantage for a business trip through a well-known bargain travel agency. I'd been given a weekend deal, and my contract through the agency stated I had unlimited mileage. However, on reviewing my charges from Advantage, I discovered they had charged me for mileage, making what should have been a $45.00 trip cost over $200.00; when I contacted customer service, they told me that was their policy, and they would not work with me on adjusting the price. I had not been told about the mileage charge when I picked up my car (and it would have been difficult to try to get another rental last-minute elsewhere). While the people I worked with at the counter were polite and professional, I will never rent another car through Advantage.

Original review: July 26, 2019

We rented a Toyota Camry with 50,000++ miles car from Advantage Rent-A-Car. Hail damage from bumper too bumper and every door and fender was dinged or scratched. I filled out their damage form and took pics before we left. The rental agent told by the agent to buy their gas at $2.60/gallon upon return, because it was cheaper than buying gas on the highway. Turns out they charge you for a "Full Tank" whether you return it with a 3/4 tank full of gas or return it on fumes. They do not charge you for the amount of gas it takes to fill the tank as stated by the rental agent. DO NOT RENT FROM ADVANTAGE RENT-A-CAR!

Original review: July 24, 2019

STAY AWAY!!! This place is a scam. You are treated like cattle (long lines). Tricked into getting their 9-dollar insurance for $18/day (more if you don't ask to remove the roadside assistance). AND upon returning with a full tank, they charge you for the gas (via miles). This is a scam.

Original review: July 20, 2019

I do not recommend booking through Hotwire and I do not recommend Advantage car rental! Hotwire did a bait and switch from the get-go. The price they quoted did not allow me to have access to the car until four hours later than I needed it. If I had rented the car as their contract stated, I would’ve basically paid the same amount as if I had gone through a reputable company such as Avis or Enterprise.

I prepaid for a midsize car and when I got to the airport they tried to give me a compact. They said they did not have the type of car that I had reserved. Miraculously they found one within 15 minutes when I complained. Not only did they try to give me a substandard car which I did not agree to, they charged me almost $200 for fuel that was unfounded. I returned the car with a full tank. I even mentioned this to the attendant the day I returned the car and she verified that it was full. Basically I got shafted twice... by Hotwire and by Advantage.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information