3.9/5 (794 ratings)

About Advantage Rent-A-Car

Advantage Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: July 26, 2019

We rented a Toyota Camry with 50,000++ miles car from Advantage Rent-A-Car. Hail damage from bumper too bumper and every door and fender was dinged or scratched. I filled out their damage form and took pics before we left. The rental agent told by the agent to buy their gas at $2.60/gallon upon return, because it was cheaper than buying gas on the highway. Turns out they charge you for a "Full Tank" whether you return it with a 3/4 tank full of gas or return it on fumes. They do not charge you for the amount of gas it takes to fill the tank as stated by the rental agent. DO NOT RENT FROM ADVANTAGE RENT-A-CAR!

Original review: July 24, 2019

STAY AWAY!!! This place is a scam. You are treated like cattle (long lines). Tricked into getting their 9-dollar insurance for $18/day (more if you don't ask to remove the roadside assistance). AND upon returning with a full tank, they charge you for the gas (via miles). This is a scam.

Original review: July 20, 2019

I do not recommend booking through Hotwire and I do not recommend Advantage car rental! Hotwire did a bait and switch from the get-go. The price they quoted did not allow me to have access to the car until four hours later than I needed it. If I had rented the car as their contract stated, I would’ve basically paid the same amount as if I had gone through a reputable company such as Avis or Enterprise.

I prepaid for a midsize car and when I got to the airport they tried to give me a compact. They said they did not have the type of car that I had reserved. Miraculously they found one within 15 minutes when I complained. Not only did they try to give me a substandard car which I did not agree to, they charged me almost $200 for fuel that was unfounded. I returned the car with a full tank. I even mentioned this to the attendant the day I returned the car and she verified that it was full. Basically I got shafted twice... by Hotwire and by Advantage.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I rented from the MCO Orlando Airport. My car would not start the next day. My car died on me 3 times in 4 days. I called customer service and they just told me to take it back which would have taken me 4 hours of my vacation. I had to buy jumper cables in case I was stranded somewhere in the FL heat with my 85-year-old grandfather. My hotel staff jumped my car on several occasions. Advantage does not maintain their vehicles and did little to help with the situation. I had the battery tested at Advanced Auto parts and they confirmed the battery was bad. They told me I would have to pay $52 per service request to have someone come out and jump my car even though it was their fault. When I returned the car they only gave me half my money back and did not take any blame for not maintaining their vehicle. I would NOT RENT FROM ADVANTAGE. They do not care and they do not maintain their cars.

Original review: July 19, 2019

This company billed me for extra days and when I contacted customer service the guy was super rude and disrespectful!! Do not rent from this company!!! I am waiting on the final bill, if wrong I will contact the County Attorney's Office.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I rented a car last month and was charged way more money than the website stated and also after I got back home, my credit card was charged an additional $27.50 and when I called about it, I was told that it was for a toll. The toll itself was $2.50 and they charged a $25 fee which was ridiculous! I paid this and now a month and a half later, I am charged another $26.25 for another toll (they say). This is a big lie because if there was another toll, it would have been charged last month. I will never use them again!

Original review: July 16, 2019

Sure, when everything goes okay any company can be good. But what happens when you have an issue? We had a problem with Advantage Rental Car overcharging us and when we tried to correct it, they were rude, almost yelling at us on the phone, and refused to let us talk to a supervisor. Then they "reviewed" a phone call that would have proved our point but said we couldn't hear it or have a transcript of it! The rep on the phone was the rudest person I have ever spoken to at any company! I will NEVER rent from Advantage again. It cost us almost DOUBLE our original rental agreement.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Watch out, they are nothing but crooks. At Denver airport they told me they were giving me a free upgrade, then they charged me $290 for it. They also charged me for every service that I expressly declined—insurance (I had third party insurance, E-ZPass). They also gave me a car that turned out to have two leaking tires and did not compensate me for the time spent waiting for a replacement. And they refuse to give me a refund for the unauthorized charges. Do not book with them!!

Original review: July 12, 2019

I've rented cars from Advantage about a dozen times at DFW, AUS and SAN. Every experience has been good with the only problem being an occasional queue to rent the car costing me perhaps 15-20 minutes. Other reviewers have made many references to being charged unexpectedly for extra drivers, a full tank of gas, upgrades, insurance, and tolls. Yes, Advantage does try to upsell its customers, but in my experience they do this no differently than any other rental car company. If you don't read and understand what you sign, it's your fault.

There are also concerns about not having an SUV or other preferred car. This can also be a problem at other rental car companies. It's possible that, being smaller, Advantage doesn't have the flexibility that others do if a prior customer did not return the car on time or had an accident. Having said the above, I would be concerned about the issues raised about tolls in Florida where it seems the toll barriers accept cash AND read the transponder to charge the customer. This problem must exist at other rental car companies too. I'm not sure how to avoid that problem aside from completely avoiding toll roads (which is what I do whenever practical). I would like to see Advantage offer a cheaper option. I'm also concerned about loss of items left in the car, though again the renter has to take some responsibility too. I lost a nice pair of headphones in the same way on a rental from a different company....

Original review: July 1, 2019

My usual experience with any car rental such as Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, etc. has always been transparent and honest. I decided to try this company based solely on price and I did not read the reviews so I hope this helps someone. I prepaid with Hotwire (paid $112) for everything and declined coverage because I have my own insurance. When I arrived to the counter at DEN, the guy just came back from smoking a cigarette and was talking to me about taking time off.

I gave them my license and told them that everything was prepaid. He ask for a card to put a deposit ($300), then gave me a paper to sign to release the vehicle to me. I signed and went my way. The next day I saw a charge for $98 and when I called they told that it was for insurance coverage. They offer to give me a %50 refund. The point is that I was never told what I was signing and it was my fault to sign without reading first. I read in other site reviews that this is a common practice with them, to overcharge. I ended up paying more, I should have gone with a more prestigious name, where they clearly explain your paperwork before you sign. I will never use that company again.

Original review: June 26, 2019

We are inexperienced car rentals - and would not go through Advantage again! Lines were long at Denver airport. The customer service fellow did not explain the contract that we would be CHARGED the additional driver. The customer service agent also said that the fuel was a top off not the whole tank! We didn't read the fine print. READ the fine print - make sure the customer service agent details the charges! Not a fun experience paying the $360.00 for 6 days out of Denver.

Original review: June 24, 2019

My wife and I are frequent travelers, and we rent cars often. We have used a variety of different companies. In June, for the first time, we used Advantage EZ Rent A Car at The Denver International airport. Note: We know that some companies train their employees to try to get extra sales from each customer transaction, so we are careful with what agents say and the offers and fine print that they provide. LORENZO, our agent, convinced us to take an upgrade which worked out fine. But he also pressured us into taking the E-Z Toll Pass with the rental ($9.99 USD/day x 9 days=$89.91 USD).

We declined but he persisted that it would be very difficult to avoid the tolls which have very expensive penalties if you go through even once. He specifically said that besides the toll charge each time you go through there is a $25 penalty if you don't have the E-Z Toll Pass. Which, FYI, I just went onto the Colorado E 470 Toll Website to see if that was accurate, and it is not. It is a $5 late fee, not $25. The $25 is if you don't pay after several notices and months of tardiness. So that was lie #1.

LORENZO said that "if you don't go through any tolls, the amount will be refunded." Based on that condition, we accepted and agreed on the rental. WE WENT THROUGH NO TOLLS; WE AVOIDED ALL TOLLS DURING THE TRIP. Upon returning, we awaited our rental invoice watching to see if that E-Z Toll charge would still be on the bill. Sure enough it was! Which we had a feeling it would be. So we phoned the 1-800 number on the invoice and spoke to a representative to file a complaint and ask for the refund. After explaining the situation, the agent was not able to authorize a refund. So I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager to resolve the issue. He escalated the complaint to a Denver manager (Natalie) to make a decision. He gave me a complaint number, and said the Denver manager would phone us back outside of 48 hours. We left us at that on Thursday evening.

As of Monday evening, we had not yet received a call back (surprise surprise), so I called the 1-800 number again. The new agent informed me the Denver manager had made a decision on the complaint not to honour the refund. He didn't have a reason to the decision or why they hadn't returned the call. So, I explained the details again to him. He didn't seem to care. I asked him if he thought it was okay for Advantage employees to lie to their customers? He was quiet and didn't know what to say. I asked to speak to his supervisor.

It took over 30 minutes, and the agent kept coming on saying she was busy but could I hold. Eventually, he even said the supervisor authorized a 20% refund. I said it was 100%, or I wasn't getting off the phone. I was transferred to a Sara ** (she wouldn't give us her last name), but her employee number is #**. She was the top supervisor. But who knows if anything they told us is true. She was very hard to understand, the sound was quiet and muffled. She quickly went into a long 'fine print' rant saying the contract was already closed, and the Denver Manager had made the decision not to give a refund, and that she could only offer us a 50% refund on the charge. I declined.

I again asked her if it was okay that the Denver agent Lorenzo straight up lied to us? She didn't address my question... We didn't use one toll, and in fact it was really easy to travel around Colorado and the Southwest without going through any tolls. This is a really short version of everything that was said, but in short an employee lied to us, the company didn't honour their commitment, and don't care that they are scamming customers. In the end, she gave us an ultimatum: take the 50% refund, or the call would be disconnected. How is that for customer service? We took the refund, but we will absolutely, 100%, NEVER USE Advantage Rent-A-Car ever again. Customer retention is important in business, and the word of mouth. No matter how big the company is.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Advantage Rent a Car placed my family in an unsafe vehicle and gave us the runaround on additional toll charges. AVOID THEM! Here are the details:

1. The day after driving the rental van to the vacation home, we found that the front passenger tire was losing air. When we contacted the company they told us that we could either drive the van back to the airport (45 mins to 1 hr one way depending on traffic) or have emergency roadside assistance come down, change the tire, and charge us a large sum of money to do so. Both of these solutions were completely unacceptable in resolving our issue. First, I was not willing to sacrifice time from my children's Disney World vacation to drive all the way back to the airport, and secondly, I was not going to pay to repair one of their vehicles when they sent me out with a faulty, unsafe tire to begin with. This forced me to have to stop multiple times during the week at a service station in order to fill the tire up with air. They refused to offer any resolution for this inconvenience.

2. Advantage charged $54.36 to our credit card for unpaid tolls. This was entirely inaccurate in that we paid all tolls. So, we called to ask how we could prove the tolls were paid. They directed us to a third party company called the Highway Toll Administration, LLC (NOT affiliated with the govt even though their name sounds like it) which apparently bills Advantage for the tolls. We contacted them and were told that we needed to provide proof of the payment. This was impossible in that a) the first toll allegedly violated was an "exact coin" toll for $.75 that did not provide receipts, and the other tolls were allegedly tolls with no booth that send a signal to the van's "transponder." Still, we contacted the FL Department of Transportation as well as the Central FL Expressway Authority.

With regard to the first toll, the FL DOT told us that it was owned by the Central FL Expressway Authority, and the Central FL Expressway Authority told us that it was owned by the FL DOT. Neither were able to tell us who we were to speak with in order to obtain proof that we had paid the toll. And neither offered any proof to us that the tolls had been violated. In desperation, we turned back to Advantage Rent a Car. We described the hours we had spent trying to track down proof, and that we were being asked to do something impossible. Since they were the ones who charged us, we asked that they simply refund us the money and then they could take it up with Highway Toll Administration or the FL govt entities. Their only solution was to direct us back to the Highway Toll Administration.

When we said that we had already tried to resolve it with them to no avail, they sent our information to one of their corporate customer service workers. Later they informed us, with no explanation, that they believed we were charged correctly and then directed us back to the Highway Toll Administration. They took absolutely no time to consider our case and that we had done everything within our power to resolve it but continued to pass us off somewhere else when ultimately they were the ones who had charged us. In summary, Advantage Rent-A-Car placed us in an unsafe vehicle, refused to offer an acceptable solution to make it right and then gave us the "run-around" in trying to resolve these simple toll charges which could have been an easy outcome. We have filed a complaint with the BBB.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I rented a car at Denver Airport on May, 2019 because I found it to be the best deal online. The total rental cost in the reservation was $280 for 4 days. I ended up paying $440.87!!! The rental agent was confusing. He talked me into upgrading implying that the upcharge would be less that $100. He also implied that the type of upgrade I was agreeing to would include prepayment for gas. Then about 2 weeks after I rented the car, there was a $29 unexplained additional charge. I called them and they said that that was a toll road charge. BUT I did not use a toll road during my 4 day trip up into the mountains. So be wary of choosing Advantage just because they may be cheaper.

Original review: June 23, 2019

Zedwe rented a car to attend graduation at the Air Force Academy and a few vacation days in Breckenridge, CO. We were late arriving because our Southwest flight was canceled due to a hail storm in Denver which damaged some planes the night before our flight. The shuttle bus driver was very helpful and check-in was ok. It was almost 1:30 AM and raining. We were not asked to inspect the car (which would have been difficult due of limited lighting). There were no storms during our stay and in Breckenridge we parked in an underground garage. Upon returning the car, we were were told there was hail damage and that we had to fill out an incident report before they would accept the car.

The damage was done before we rented and there was nothing on the rental form I signed acknowledging I had inspected the vehicle. While trying to explain all this to the return guys, I overlooked my camera bag in the back seat. I recognized this on the ride to the terminal and immediately tried calling the number on my rental form. It was an automated system with no local contact. We then asked the airport helpline if they had a local number but it did not connect. To go back meant missing my flight. I filled out a lost and found report on a website but evidently whoever inspected the vehicle failed to turn it in.

The camera, lens,filters, memory cards, National park pass and related items were valuable but the lost images of the Air Force graduation and all the family events surrounding it were even more of a loss. When I finally reached a real person at the their Florida headquarters I was tersely informed "we can't do anything about that". The people in Denver know who was responsible for checking returning vehicles on the day in question. I have looked at my copy of the rental agreement and see nothing about them not being responsible (there was a lot of language about my responsibility during the rental). Be aware of the integrity of the company you are dealing with.

Original review: June 22, 2019

Rented and paid for my car through Priceline. My flight was canceled to the next day. I called Advantage Rent-a-Car and was told my reservation didn’t need to be canceled, just modified to reflect the new pickup time and price is the same. Arrive to pick up my rental only to find out it had been rented because they were out of cars and I was out of my “two hour window” since my reservation was originally for the previous day. I reserved a mid size SUV and now all that was available was a full size SUV for $500 more to my weekly rate that was already prepaid.

With no other option, other than being stranded, I rent the full size SUV. I walk on the lot to pick up my car and the lot is full with a plethora of cars to choose from, ranging from economy to full size. I realize they could’ve been reserved, but so was mine!!! Good customer service would’ve offered the upgraded vehicle (if it was truly all they had) for the price I paid. Nope, no discounts or offers were made to ease the inconvenience! Will NEVER rent from these guys again!!! I return the car in 3 days and am expecting a nightmare there too after reading the reviews on this company. My bad for not researching them before my trip!

Original review: June 18, 2019

I was scammed by Advantage Rent-A-Car. The agent who I dealt with spoke very poor broken English which I had trouble understanding. He then instructed to initial several pages on a credit card machine which he was assisting in showing how to just scroll up and initial but was in fact enrolling me for upgrades (I reserved a Toyota and received a Toyota, which he asked did I prefer a Chevrolet or a Toyota and I said Toyota was fine) and premium damage insurances, prepaid gas, road hazard, roadside assistance, property insurance, supplemental insurance (whatever that is) and toll fees that was unaware I was getting. I inquired about the amount and the agent replied what sounded like, "Don’t worry it only a hold on your card. You won't be charged that amount."

Long story short I wound up owing an additional $1216.78 on top of the $381.43 that I had already paid to HOTWIRE. I am disgusted with Advantage and would recommend you not do business with them, they are crooks. I contacted Advantage and their reply was “You signed it. Sorry.” $1682.59 for a 6 day rental is not what I was expecting for sure. I have no issue with HOTWIRE. Only Advantage Rent-A-Car, or should I say “Take Advantage of you Rent-A-Car”.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I would highly recommend this company. I rented out of LAX. They have great service and they were much cheaper than other major companies. A few days after I rented my car, which was kind of an older model (but that was okay because we did pay less), the A/C was not working properly. I called them and they told me I can switch cars. Even though I rented out of LAX, I was in San Diego and they allowed me to switch cars at their San Diego location while keeping my final return to LAX. Very helpful, and I even got an upgrade when I switched, no questions asked.

Original review: June 5, 2019

We made the mistake of renting our car here after seeing their super low price on Expedia. They don't honor Expedia prices (even after paying THROUGH Expedia) and they overcharge you with additional fees once you arrive. Their car rental is off-site of the airport (unlike the other car rental companies) and we had to wait for 1.5 hrs just to get to the counter (when there were only 6 people ahead of us and 2 working agents). When we finally got to check in, they informed us of the additional charges (about $50 more) and when I tried to tell them I already paid on Expedia a different price, they simply said "I will cancel your order if you wish." Ummm what?? I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere and there are no other car rentals around for me to walk away to. So reluctantly paid the additional charges. They also asked if I wanted to add an additional driver for no charge and I said ok.

Now that we're back home and our trip is over, I received an email from them with an EXTRA $109 CHARGED TO MY CARD, one of which was for the additional driver which was never disclosed that there would be an additional fee when we added a driver at their check-in counter. I've been on the phone back and forth with Expedia and the company and so far no resolution. This place is a scam. You'll spend less at a more reputable car company with straightforward prices. I don't recommend this place at all, you will regret it!

Original review: June 2, 2019

This rental car company charged me 197 dollars for refueling the car which I returned with full tank. They did not give any receipt at the time I dropped the car. I found the charge on my card and I disputed the transaction. That is when I got to know that they charged me falsely for full tank of gas. I rented a Hyundai Sonata 2018. In their fake bill they mentioned they gave full tank car and I returned empty tank, with 149 miles driven. Sonata's tank capacity is 18.5 gallon and in average it gives 25 miles for city driving. If you really calculate the mileage for whole tank I should have driven 450 miles. BE CAREFUL with these frauds. They take advantage of people who travel and are out of state. They know it is not easy to dispute and claim this money and many give up or don't dispute. Pay little extra and go for a reputed company.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Advantage Rent a Car is the WORST company I have ever rented from. My car broke down the day after rental and I lost 4 hours of my much needed vacation waiting for assistance. Their cars are substandard to anything I have rented in the States in 20 years plus. The customer service is dire. They have not replied to my complaints and not offered any recompense for the inferior vehicle they replaced with my original car. They even had the audacity to state they 'could not understand my accent' when clearly, they did not understand ENGLISH. Avoid this company. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM. For your own peace of mind. DO NOT rent from them. They are awful.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Be careful of the fuel charges. If you buy full take from them you must return it empty or you will pay for a full tank regardless of what is still in the tank. Be aware. A full tank can cost you $80.00.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Rented a car from Advantage in Burlingane California April 11th. I received a ticket because the car did not have a front license plate. A 161.00 dollar ticket. The ticket fine could be reduced to 10.00 if the license plate issue was corrected. When I returned the car I gave the ticket to the men taking the car back and told them about getting it reduced to 10.00 if they fixed the issue. I also told them, "I am not liable for the ticket." They said, "Of course not" and that they will take care of it. Lo and behold a month later I get a charge to my credit card for 161.00. I called customer service. The lady told me that she would need to send this to someone higher up because she could not refund the money. Well it's been 4 days and I haven't heard anything. I will never ever rent from Advantage again and I am suggesting no one else does either.

Original review: May 24, 2019

What else can I say, overcharged, surprise fees and they will NOT respond to my requests for communication. It's sad consumers and basic economics can't open up a better and more transparent hassle-free car renting service. You have another option, TURO.

Original review: May 23, 2019

So friends, remember that amazing post about how amazing it was to land in Denver, get a new rental car, etc. Well... Advantage Car Rental is HORRIBLE! We were prepaid through Hotwire with insurance! We just received a charged for $167. They are claiming we returned it empty (it was half full) and you can clearly see by our picture and the documentation from Advantage that it was empty when we first picked it up. They also snuck on an additional insurance charge without us knowing. So if you are traveling and if you have any other option, I would suggest you take it. They hurried us along so fast which I thought was nice but now realize that they were finding every opportunity to screw us over. The gentleman on the phone wasn't rude but basically said prove it and we will see if we drop any charges. Learn from our mistake! Don't trust a company with no customer service and a will to deceive. ????

Original review: May 21, 2019

Booked a rental 1.5 months in advance for a midsize SUV. Arrived to pick up vehicle and was immediately asked if I wanted to pay to upgrade to a convertible. After declining, I was advised that there were no SUVs avail and was offered a minivan. Why bother making a reservation in advance? I did not want a minivan. I had no other choice to take the van...very disappointed. I will never use this company as they cannot fulfill their customers request.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Rented a car from Orlando Airport as we have done many times before. Guy at the counter asked if we wanted the “Fuel Purchase Option”. Just bring the car back without filling up and they will charge a certain price to fill it back up. They don’t tell you they charge for a full tank of gas no matter how the tank reads when you bring it back. We brought it back over half a tank full and they charged us $50 for a full tank of gas. Called customer service and were basically told “too bad” even when we told them that’s not how the Fuel Purchase Option was explained to us. Will NEVER rent from this company again.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Representative repeatedly stated how “busy” they got so he started talking quickly and asking questions without relating everything. He was asking was charging us extra!!! Him: “Did you want to add a driver to make it easier for you?” Extra $40. Him: “Basic coverage or extended?” Didn’t know I didn’t have to choose one. Extra $91. Him “Just bring it back empty, we’ll take care of it for you.” Only used 1/3 of a tank. Extra $44. Him: “The toll roads are all over the place, people don’t realize that”. We went through 1. Extra $29. Him: “Wow, we just got busy. I’ll go through this as quick as I can.” There were 3 people behind us and initialing on the credit card machine does not allow you to review your charges.

I have filled out their survey and got a standard response ("Sorry you didn’t have a good experience"). Unless I’m refunded some of what they stole from me, this is by far, the worst car rental I’ve experienced. I was manipulated into being overcharged by the associate, which I now think they train them to do.

Original review: May 19, 2019

On 5/16/19 went to the Advantage Chicago O'Hare location to pick up RESERVED minivan to move my daughter home from college. Was informed all minivans and larger vehicles had been given out. Was offered a compact car instead. I asked what could be done; was told "They could do nothing" and other rental companies might have a same-day rental minivan. I asked what would happen if I was there with 5 children off a flight for vacation. Told same answer because "They had no minivans; nothing they could do". Staff was not rude just matter of fact. Apparently this is Advantage's normal business practice. Never will I reserve a car from them again- BEWARE.

Original review: May 17, 2019

FORT MYERS, left glasses hanging on visor. Brand new gift from daughter. They were hanging on driver side visor. You could not of missed them. They were never listed in lost and found. Honest people right, wrong. Gas tank was little over 3/4 full. Early morning flight. No one there to shuttle you to airport until 4:45. No way to contact the branch office. Other people waiting in lot had to contact Uber to make their flight. We 6 people waiting frantically for someone to show up. Finally got to the airport by 5 am. Flight leaves at 6 am. This has to be the worst rental service we have ever encountered. Never again will we use Advantage and will be in contact with Priceline for referring this company. Only good thing about this was the man behind the counter was polite.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information