2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.63/5

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I should have read other people's reviews before purchasing from Advantage. It would have saved me $177. My review is similar to many others where I'm more confident that this is how Advantage Rent A Car scams people. I got to the front desk where Jose ** was our preparer. He asked if I wanted the "Collision Damage Waiver/CDW". I stated "no". He asked again as we checked out, I again repeated "no". I go to sign it and when I returned the car got an email charge of $177 because Jose ** put down "yes" for the CDW. I then called to get a refund on the CDW that I stated I did NOT want and customer service stated the account was closed but that I could get a 25% off my next purchase. Hard pass!! If you see anything that says "Advantage Rent A Car" run as far as you can! Two lessons, sit there and re-read everything (I was bamboozled because Jose ** stated the amount was higher than usual because of fees but that they would be waived when the car was returned, so I didn't think twice) and secondly, NEVER PURCHASE FROM ADVANTAGE RENT A CAR!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I travel frequently and rent cars I have never had a bad experience, until a trip to Maui to visit my daughter and grandsons. The problems started upon my arrival to rent car. The employee was not friendly and continually tried to upsell. Every time I said no he became more and more frustrated with me. It was an exhausting experience to get a car. I had already reserved and just wanted to pick up and get on my way. After my trip I received my credit card statement and I was overcharged.

I called and I was told I was supposed to turn car in at 9:00am but did not turn car in until 7:00pm. I told them that is impossible because I was already on a flight home. I was then told I needed to send proof so I was given a email address to send proof. I sent requested information and never got a response. I called back and was told I sent to wrong email address. There is more to my bad experience, but I will not use this car rental service again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Rented from Advantage in Orlando FL, January 2020. The car we got was only about 3/4 full, which I didn't notice until we had already left the airport. Further, one of the tires apparently had a slow leak and needed air in it more than once. After returning, we noticed our final invoice had a "refueling charge" of $6, i.e. 2/3 of a gallon. I called customer service to explain that the car was not filled up when we got it, and had a defective tire as well, and was told in polite terms to buzz off. This is not exactly a major horror story, and the amount involved is pretty trivial, but car rental is a competitive business and a company that deals with its customers in a sloppy manner like this does not need to be patronized. I certainly won't.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Advantage Rental Car in Los Angeles/LAX, agent Tiffani, required me to purchase insurance, even though I'm privately insured and told her that I would assume the risk. She told me that it was required to rent the car. I paid for insurance. She lied. It was not required. I could not get it refunded. Never again will I rent from this company with dishonest practices. Spread the word. They're terrible.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Hi I had already prebooked and prepaid via Priceline for the 6 passenger car reservation in Advantage. However in the Advantage counter I was told that they do not have any car in their stock and they cannot help in arranging any. I had a very tough time in searching other rental car. I have decided never to rent car from Advantage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Rented a Camry from Denver. I wish I had read the reviews of Advantage car rental. The Agent wouldn't allow me to take the car I had rented because of road conditions. They trap you because a shuttle takes you away from the airport. I'm sorry but I have been driving 42 years in the Midwest and I think I can drive. I had a $225.00 upcharge and no way out. I tend to trust people but don't be fooled by this outfit. Very poor customer service with agents that are rude and trained to pressure you. Never again!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I recently rented a sedan at Denver airport through Priceline. When we got to the counter to pick up the car, we were told the sedan was not "traction compliant" with Denver's laws since it was December. The clerk "found" an SUV, with an upcharge of $333. The Santa Fe rents on their website for 57.88/day. They had us backed in to a corner, and we basically had to agree. I contacted customer service to complain about the up charge, and received a rude and argumentative response. I have never experienced such bad customer service. After she argued with me for several minutes, she agreed to file a case. I was told I would get a response in 48 hrs. It has been a week, with no response, even by email. This is a disreputable company, and would I advise anyone to avoid renting from them, no matter how good the price.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Rented a car from Advantage Rental car for 4 days. Returned the car back fully fuel. Checked the invoice they sent me thru email and found that they charged me an extra $10.44 for gas. They charge $8.99 per gallon if it is not fully fill. I knew about that and I filled it before I returned it. How in the heck can they charge $10.44. that is about 1 1/4 gallon of gas. How could that reach that amount??? Never again!!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Advantage Rent-A-Car is the worst. They quoted me at $46.53 for a Nissan on a three day trip (once I applied a discount code), so I was super excited. When I arrived, the lady helping me was super rude and I could barely understand what she was saying. She said there would be a $200 pending charge on my credit card (typical) and $91.59 for a Hyundai Elantra (a downgrade) instead of the $46.

When I asked where the extra $50 was coming from, she said "tax" and I told her that the tax had been included in the original quote. She then said it was for gas, but that I would be refunded for any of the full tank that I did not use. I used less than a half tank of gas and was issued no refund for the gas. In addition to that, the lady at the counter when I offered to pay said that she could not accept cash for the payment because it was too early in the morning. So my credit card which I was trying not to use at all, now has been charged $91 for a car that I did not want, and they charged me $50 for a half tank of gas. Beware! Whatever the quote they give you is NOT what you will be charged. Dishonest and rude.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

You think you will get better deal than from others but be aware! They will get you and add the charges even week after you will return a car. We rented minivan for two weeks vacation. The car wasn't cleaned and we found pieces of peanuts on the back seat. One of our kids is allergic to peanuts so we had to stop by the car wash and had it cleaned thoroughly. I did call the company and complained but their customer service is in Philippines and we couldn't really understand each other.

Now back to extra charges... We had to extend the rental for another day, we got stuck in the way back and that was ridiculously high...58dolars a day when original Priceline price was 31/day. We returned the car with some dirt in it, like after two weeks use and nowhere in contract was specify that car has to be thoroughly clean on return. The guy who check out the car said it's everything ok so we finished paperwork, pay extra fees for extending time and thought this is it. Well week letter the new charges start peeling out and charged to our credit card. 203dol for car cleaning!!! 45 for tools when we pay everything in cash (they forgot to mention that car has built in easy pass and charges will apply). Then they add administration fees. It comes to over 300 dollars more and you can't dispute, they have it all in the fine print! So much for Advantage! No more!

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information