2.8/5 (51 ratings)

About Advantage Rent-A-Car

Advantage Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

DO NOT RENT FROM ADVANTAGE. My company reserved a car for a specific printed reservation price of $192 for three days last week. When I went to pick the car up with my associate, when asked, I declined all additional insurance and certainly the tow coverage, as my company's own issuer Geico covers all that and it was a local Atlanta rental for a conference and expo. On the return, rushing to catch my flight out, I realized they added all that stuff back in so my bill went from $192 to $345.20 without my permission or knowledge.

When I went to complain, the new agent said, "You have to call in on Monday to resolve." I was fuming. He specifically said that, "The agent who signed out your car had a habit of that. That Christin was a problem employee." Now it's my problem as my company wants to dock me for it. I am contacting the County DA's office to get the video tapes of the interactions as I now believe- allege that Advantage may be pushing this kind of employee action which easily doubles their profits. If you have experienced the same thing with Advantage, please contact the ** as I will.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I’m super into saving money when it comes to car rentals, I travel to Las Vegas 3-4 times a year and Advantage Rent a Car was new to me! Saved over $200 going thru them: A+ service, A+ car A+ PERIOD! Going thru them in November for the SEMA convention! Offering a shuttle for a block ride is awesome, I took it to get there but I walked back (across the street) to the rental center for the shuttle ride to the airport! Super clean location, super friendly employees. Was asked about additional insurance (I declined) was asked about fuel (I declined cause I had a late flight) and I was charged exactly what I agreed to! Sorry Budget, Sorry Dollar - but they even got your ‘membership’ discounts beat!!

Original review: April 18, 2021

I reserved the rental car on Expedia. The price once I got there was about $80 difference but I was ok with the hidden fees. I was talked into prepaying the gas by the rental agent. I told him that I wouldn’t be driving the car that much. He told me that I would be reimbursed for gas that I do not use. I paid for a full tank of gas. I have attached a copy of the return receipt. I was charged $42 for a full tank of gas and returned the vehicle with a full tank of gas. They refunded me $4.42. I called customer service and was told there was nothing that could be done because they are not aware of any policy of refunding the cost of unused gas.

They told me they would have a manager from the Orlando location reach out to me. The rep told me that to get me off of the phone. I never received a call. I was charged $38 for gas that I never used. This company is a scam that will tell you what is needed to get you to spend more money. I would never use their services again and do not recommend them. Go with a Enterprise or Budget. They are more transparent. You can also speak with the actual location when you call.

Original review: April 16, 2021

A minute ago. NEW. Really poor/bad service. I've never seen such a bad quality of service. I rented a car at the Miami international Airport. I booked a full size car, but the staff said Nissan versed is the same value as Toyota Camry. I went down level to get a car. There was no staff that helped you to find a car. I finally found the car that had many damages! I went back up and requested a different car! That was so unfair for me. I paid the full size car! They were saying there is no car left! Then, why did they confirm the reservation!! I waited and waited for Toyota. It took over an hour to leave the site! The staff was unprofessional. They charged me almost $350 and $450 that wasn't under my responsibility! Once I found that, I called them several times. No Answers!! I was so worried!! They need to improve better customer service! That experience ruined my day!!

Original review: April 3, 2021

Hello Advantage Rent-A-Car:

I was a customer of yours picking up a car (Nissan Versa) at Nashville Airport on 3-30-2021 and returning it on 4-1-2021. During my rental period, I received a text message, informing me that I had ben outside your rental area and that I was to call to correct the situation. I did indeed call after I had received the text message and basically was lectured by the representative that I signed a contract that stated I could not take the car beyond Kentucky (I was 7 miles past the Kentucky border). I told the agent where I was and that I would not move the car until my departure the next day. The text message indicated that I had the opportunity to rectify the issues, and I had assumed that my call was indeed rectification. The rep told me that Wayne was not in but I should speak to him when I returned.

Upon return to the airport, I asked for Wayne, but was only allowed to speak to him by phone. He lectured me again, and then offered to reduce the fee to $500. I told him that was not acceptable but I offered to pay an additional day rental. In response, Wayne re-upped the fee to $1,000. Furthermore and to add injury to insult, I received a bill that included concession fees and state taxes that incorporated the $1,000 fee, meaning the 11.11% concession fee and the 9.25% state tax were applied to the $1,000 fee. Interestingly, the $1,000 fee did not show up on the bill that was e-mailed to me.

I referenced the start of this note that I was a customer. I do not believe I ever was a customer of yours but rather a shakedown target. I spent good money with you as a customer and was treated with no service, respect and instead swindled out of a $1,000 which actually according to my calculations on the bill amounted to a $1,010 -- I added all the charges up and was left with $1,010 unaccounted for on my bill. I eagerly await your response. Thank you, Ben

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I am submitting a copy of the review I sent to them. I originally booked an UPGRADED standard car for 4 days. After I was told I would need to put down a $250 deposit, I had to change to renting the car only ONE day. First of all, this was all done through Veteran's Advantage so originally I received a lower price. When the rental was changed to one day, not only did the rep charge me $65 for a one-day rental of an ECONOMY sized car (she said there was no standard car in the inventory only economy although I told her I had upgraded online to a standard car), she never used my original Veteran's Advantage price and just charged me what I KNOW was not Advantage's price for an ECONOMY - sized car.

I was so frustrated especially after having to ask her to please save her constant texting until my transaction time was completed-(she said her texts were related to my transaction which I know was not true considering there was only ONE car in the lot that fit her $65 idea of an ECONOMY car) that I no strength to argue with her already pissy attitude. I was so tired after a 7-hr flight from California to Florida I just decided to pay the price, get out of there, and NEVER rent nor refer BUT DEFINITELY will advise anyone and everyone to NEVER rent from Advantage Rent a Car. Not to mention I was still charged a deposit of $45 for the toll pass even though I changed my rental to ONE DAY. And did I get a refund??? RIIIGHT. Now I am just wondering on my chances of receiving my $250 deposit back, or will I have to go through the Consumer Protection Agency, the Better Business Bureau, AND/OR Small Claims Court to get it?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I would give them no stars if I could. BE AWARE DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!!! To start when we picked up the car, the rep told us we could return it by 5:30 PM the day it was suppose to be returned, our plane didn't leave until 8:00 PM. As advertised $19 dollars a day, for 5 days total was suppose to be $127. Our Grand total ended up being $244.00.

We had to pay $50 for the sun pass which we used twice, that was a rip off. The windows of the car were covered with a sticky film, and we didn't notice it until we got into the sunlight out of the parking garage. Complained about that we were told the windows were tinted before we rented it and they had to scrape if off with a razor blade??!! Who does that? And what company would rent a car with the window looking like that?? We didn't drive it much so dealt with it. The car was scratched up, not clean.

The day we were to bring it back they called about a late return and left a message, The lady was so completely rude when I finally got ahold of her after many attempts, I tried to explain to her we were told we could bring it back at 5:30, but failed to get it in writing. Horrible customer service. We had the car back at 5:20. Were told if we would have gotten there 15 minutes earlier we wouldn't have been charged for an additional day, the rep that "promised that" to us had just left. SHADY BUSINESS. STAY AWAY!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Rude customer service from the start, I should have walked away then. Nobody was at counter so had to wait for 15 minutes. Picked up car and left. Car was fine, upon returning vehicle I waited for over a half hour because attendant was working three different companies. He checked car - said everything was fine. When I requested a receipt, he said the machine was broke and he would email it. About an hour later I received the email. I was charged a late fee and a smoking fee when I was neither late nor a smoker. That explains the broken receipt machine nonsense. This place is a scam and I would suggest never to use them.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Advantage car rental is very dishonest and misleading company. I would never ever use them again. I was charged for highway pass that I did not use or want and was told when I rented the car that I would not be charged if I do not use it, and I did not use it and was still charged. They also tell customers about the gas usage and charge you for the gas. I tried calling customer service and they were no help.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

From having a horrible experience with Fox Rent-A-Car in Los Angeles, I had a GREAT experience with Advantage. They were absolutely fantastic. Great customer service, car was all ready for me, easy pick up and drop off.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I rented an economy size vehicle during a stay in New York in January of 2020. My only purpose for the car was to get to NY to Newark airport in NJ - next day drop off. Upon dropping the car off the assistant double charged my CC and informed me that she rectified the charge. However, upon my return back to Texas, I’d noticed that the charge had not been removed. I followed the appropriate steps for a (1) call to the company and (2) submitting a dispute to my Cc company. The customer service center for Advantage was unhelpful and almost insinuated that I was wrong, although I had all documentation in front of me. My CC company disputed and I was reimbursed, finally, in March. It is now May and they are trying to collect the money from me all over again. I rent with other companies regularly for work and have never experienced anything like this. I’m highly disappointed!

Original review: March 29, 2020

As part of a timeshare from Tahiti Village we received a free 3 day car rental from Advantage Car Rental. We were told by both Tahiti Village and Advantage that there would be no additional charges to us. When we arrived to pick up the car, the lady at the counter of Advantage asked us if my husband wanted to drive as well. She did not mention that there would be any additional charges. She then proceeded to tell me they needed my credit card in case of any damage. She then asked us to sign an electronic pad, without showing us the contract. I asked to see the contract, but she said that it will be printed after we signed. It wasn't until we returned the car that we noticed that they charged us for my husband and he didn't even drive. They were deceitful in their dealings. Stay away from ADVANTAGE!

Original review: March 16, 2020

My experience with Advantage was fine until I realized they charged me for collision insurance I specifically asked to waive, which is frighteningly common for this company. When I originally called the customer service department, they gave me the runaround telling me the corporate office reviewed my case and denied the request... Then after some pushing they said corporate approved a 20% refund... All lies to get you to pay extra! Finally I called a different customer service number and got an extremely helpful gentleman named Sebastian to waive the fee for me almost right away (no corporate review needed... Interesting!) Thank you so much Sebastian for reviewing my case and for giving me the assistance I needed. Advice to new car renters - double check EVERYTHING and beware of scams!

Original review: March 6, 2020

I arrived 15 mins early. I was asked if I wanted to upgrade my car, pay for their gas, or wanted their insurance, I said no. I was then told nothing about any policies, late fees, gas fees, etc. Fuji (the attendant) then asked for my payment and told me to go sit and wait for 30 minutes because no standard cars were ready. I waited for exactly 30 minutes (keep in mind no one else was sitting waiting for a car) then went back to the counter and asked if my car was ready. They said "um what was your name?" I told them, they said, "Well actually we will just upgrade your car for free!"

I was excited until they told me it would be a minivan. I had already told them I was traveling alone, so I clearly did not need a bigger car. It was also one of the worst rental cars I've ever had for gas mileage. So on top of not getting the car I signed up for, get an "upgrade" that I didn't want they also apparently didn't actually check me in earlier so I had to go over all of my information again with them. I was so frustrated as I walked to the garage to get my car!

Once in the garage a woman that checked in after me was getting into a Passat. I asked the attendant why I did not get that car, since she checked in after me? They of course had no idea and stared at me with blank looks. I then asked if I could have something besides a van, she stared at me and told me to wait a minute. I told her to forget. I was done waiting! She handed me keys and told me to go to spot # 18. No one walked me to my car, showed me around, or even looked at the car with me for the damage on it.

Then when I was returning the car I pulled up & parked the car. The attendant that was there was walking around talking on his phone, didn't even acknowledge me. So I finally asked if I needed to do anything and he said "nah you're good to go" and turned around. I asked for a receipt and he told me to go to the desk. I will NEVER use this company again! All around it was a terrible experience just to save me $30. I'll be sticking with Fox from now on.

Original review: March 6, 2020

I have hired cars all around the world but have not experienced untrustworthy practices like the ones used by Advantage. I brought the car back full and they contacted me to charge me for a full tank (credit card statements confirmed I had fuelled the car prior to return), they made me sign a small screen a number of times on hire that included hidden charges. The contract they provide is in text so small that it cant be read without a microscope. All of these costs you will only know about after you have returned the car with no issues. I engaged with customer services and they provided no support. Please avoid or please take pictures of everything - including the fuel guage, handing the keys back - everything. There are shady practices in Advantage. Avoid them if you can and take all precautions if you can't. As said I have hired cars worldwide and no company has pulled the tricks that Advantage have. Beware, they will cheat you.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I returned this car with no issues. Three weeks later they contacted me and informed me that the windshield was cracked and that I was responsible for the damages. The next week I got a letter from Viking Billing Service a collection agency demanding the money and threatening my credit. My wife and myself are over 50 and very responsible adults. If I would have damaged the car I would have turned it into my insurance company on the spot. Do not mess with this company or you too may fall victim to their scam.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I just had one of the worst traumatizing experiences of my life thanks to this rental company. I flew to Tampa, Fl on business. Once landed picked up my rental and headed to my hotel. After I checked in I went and picked up my clients for a business dinner. This is where our night took a turn for the worst. We were pulled over by TPD. Knowing I did nothing wrong I was confused on what was going on and why their guns were drawn. After making us get out, searching the vehicle and running everyone's information we find out that they thought the vehicle was stolen due to the fact that some "genius" placed the wrong license plate on my rental.

I'm a military veteran with PTSD and the last thing I needed was this stressful event taking place. Of course now our night is ruined and I have busy schedule tomorrow so I had no choice but to race back to the airport before they closed at 11:30 while on the phone with their corporate office. They tell me to call the manager at the Tampa branch where I was headed. Made it by 11:15. I explain to the attendant my situation and of course they didn't show any remorse for my situation and I wasn't expecting them to. I asked for the manager I'm told to call in the morning because they're asleep.

Soooo the next day once I find a break in my day I follow up with the contact information given to me to reach the manager on duty. I call and I get the manager that's not on duty. She says she thought she forwarded the calls to the manager on duty and she'd pass my case over and they'd give me a call. Two days later I still have not received a call from them yet. I was trying to give them a chance to save face before I took this matter public but they don't seem to care about me or my horrible experience so I'll definitely be following up and taking this public. Rental# **

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I was hoodwinked being charged for Collision insurance even though I specifically stated I did not need or want anything other than what I signed up for online with Holiday car rental. I received a bill for 94.68 and had to send proof of my State Farm ins and they never called me and when I called they said basically too bad a Mgr made the decision and then would NOT allow me to speak to a Mgr or Supervisor. They were in a mtg and I was told this is a final decision period! I called my Credit card and put a hold on it as this seems to be a regular thing for rentals. I am beyond livid.

I even gave a rave review of Marilu the attendant at the airport...little did I know she was ignoring me and charged me anyway. This is how they make their money and to not have a Supervisor or manager to discuss the dispute with is unacceptable. Waste of my time to have to deal with this. The kicker is the little black box thingy you have to initial and sign was malfunctioning and Marilu had to help with it but it's up so high you can't even see what you are signing. I would have assumed she wasn't giving me something I said I did NOT WANT OR NEED. Very disappointing.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I misplaced my Advantage Rent-A-Car rental car key, but Advantage Rent-A-Car offered no support: my Advantage Rent-A-Car replacement car key cost $400+. Advantage Rent-A-Car did not offer me any replacement car key rebate. Also, the customer service representative assumed he had the right to embezzle me: he was verbally abusive, and claimed he was doing his job, correctly.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

1/28/2020 Picked up the rental car in Charlotte at garage booth. At the rental booth in the garage there was a very loud noise possibly due to construction, and it was difficult to hear the attendant Tracy. She was very pleasant and made small talk and I trusted that she was accommodating my wishes that I did not want additional insurance on the vehicle. I signed a couple places on the keypad and went on my merry way. It was to my surprise a couple hours later that I had such a large hold on my bank account. As I return the car early Sunday morning, I use the dropbox to return my keys and proceeded to the airport. I did encounter an attendant in the garage walking towards the booth and she asked for the keys and I stated that I put them in the dropbox. She was irritated and not pleased that I put them in the dropbox. She stated that she would email my receipt as I was off to catch my flight.

As I was looking over my paperwork I discovered I was charged $14.99 a day for additional insurance. My initials were even in the box stating that I did agree to supplemental insurance but I told Tracey verbally and trusted her that I was signing the appropriate boxes to complete my agreement. I feel like this was a switch and bait operation, as the attendant used the language “would you like additional insurance or stick with basic”?

My interpretation was my basic insurance that I hold personally and I verbally said I did not want additional insurance. So I called customer service and they offered a 15% voucher on my next rental or 20% off of the charge of $74.95. I stated I was not happy with any of those offers and wanted to speak to a manager and the customer service representative stated that the managers were in a meeting. She would send my claim to a different department and I was to call back in 48 hours. I called back in 48 hours and received the same offer a 15% voucher or 20% off of the charge. At this point being extremely frustrated and learning a valuable lesson to always look at your paperwork. I took the 20% off of the $74.95 and I am still waiting for a credit to my account.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was told the $200 deposit was only a hold and would be released when I returned the car. What really happened is they took the money out of my account. When I called they said they didn't take it out of my account, and then said I would get it back in 3 to 10 days, still denying they took it. Very shady! Go with someone else! Don't rent from Advantage!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I rented a car from them via Hotwire. When picking up the car, I told them I did NOT want the extra insurance. I had already declined it on the hotwire site. I signed and initialed on a keypad and trusted I was waiving the insurance. The printed bill even uses the word "waiver". Shame on me for not reviewing the paperwork more closely. Had a charge on my credit card several days later and they will do nothing to reimburse me. Learned a lesson. Will never rent from them again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

This was my first time renting a car & it was HORRIBLE!!! When I arrived to Advantage Rent-A-Car in Denver, CO they pretty much forced me to upgrade stating that I couldn’t get the Kia that I originally had an online quote for $136 because it had to be a 4wd!! They upgraded me & with all the extra charges. It was $424 total. When the guy at the counter asked me what time I would be returning the car I told him 11:30am because my flight was at 1:45pm. For some reason he put 10:30am & they charged me for an extra day because I returned the car at 11:33am!!!! I got the car at 9:31am so technically I was 2 mins late. Apparently, advantage has a grace period of an hour so if the guy at the counter would’ve put my original time being 11:30am I would’ve had until 12:30pm. So from being 2 minutes “late” I was charged an extra $160 something!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I should have read other people's reviews before purchasing from Advantage. It would have saved me $177. My review is similar to many others where I'm more confident that this is how Advantage Rent A Car scams people. I got to the front desk where Jose ** was our preparer. He asked if I wanted the "Collision Damage Waiver/CDW". I stated "no". He asked again as we checked out, I again repeated "no". I go to sign it and when I returned the car got an email charge of $177 because Jose ** put down "yes" for the CDW. I then called to get a refund on the CDW that I stated I did NOT want and customer service stated the account was closed but that I could get a 25% off my next purchase. Hard pass!! If you see anything that says "Advantage Rent A Car" run as far as you can! Two lessons, sit there and re-read everything (I was bamboozled because Jose ** stated the amount was higher than usual because of fees but that they would be waived when the car was returned, so I didn't think twice) and secondly, NEVER PURCHASE FROM ADVANTAGE RENT A CAR!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I travel frequently and rent cars I have never had a bad experience, until a trip to Maui to visit my daughter and grandsons. The problems started upon my arrival to rent car. The employee was not friendly and continually tried to upsell. Every time I said no he became more and more frustrated with me. It was an exhausting experience to get a car. I had already reserved and just wanted to pick up and get on my way. After my trip I received my credit card statement and I was overcharged.

I called and I was told I was supposed to turn car in at 9:00am but did not turn car in until 7:00pm. I told them that is impossible because I was already on a flight home. I was then told I needed to send proof so I was given a email address to send proof. I sent requested information and never got a response. I called back and was told I sent to wrong email address. There is more to my bad experience, but I will not use this car rental service again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Rented from Advantage in Orlando FL, January 2020. The car we got was only about 3/4 full, which I didn't notice until we had already left the airport. Further, one of the tires apparently had a slow leak and needed air in it more than once. After returning, we noticed our final invoice had a "refueling charge" of $6, i.e. 2/3 of a gallon. I called customer service to explain that the car was not filled up when we got it, and had a defective tire as well, and was told in polite terms to buzz off. This is not exactly a major horror story, and the amount involved is pretty trivial, but car rental is a competitive business and a company that deals with its customers in a sloppy manner like this does not need to be patronized. I certainly won't.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Advantage Rental Car in Los Angeles/LAX, agent Tiffani, required me to purchase insurance, even though I'm privately insured and told her that I would assume the risk. She told me that it was required to rent the car. I paid for insurance. She lied. It was not required. I could not get it refunded. Never again will I rent from this company with dishonest practices. Spread the word. They're terrible.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Hi I had already prebooked and prepaid via Priceline for the 6 passenger car reservation in Advantage. However in the Advantage counter I was told that they do not have any car in their stock and they cannot help in arranging any. I had a very tough time in searching other rental car. I have decided never to rent car from Advantage.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Rented a Camry from Denver. I wish I had read the reviews of Advantage car rental. The Agent wouldn't allow me to take the car I had rented because of road conditions. They trap you because a shuttle takes you away from the airport. I'm sorry but I have been driving 42 years in the Midwest and I think I can drive. I had a $225.00 upcharge and no way out. I tend to trust people but don't be fooled by this outfit. Very poor customer service with agents that are rude and trained to pressure you. Never again!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I recently rented a sedan at Denver airport through Priceline. When we got to the counter to pick up the car, we were told the sedan was not "traction compliant" with Denver's laws since it was December. The clerk "found" an SUV, with an upcharge of $333. The Santa Fe rents on their website for 57.88/day. They had us backed in to a corner, and we basically had to agree. I contacted customer service to complain about the up charge, and received a rude and argumentative response. I have never experienced such bad customer service. After she argued with me for several minutes, she agreed to file a case. I was told I would get a response in 48 hrs. It has been a week, with no response, even by email. This is a disreputable company, and would I advise anyone to avoid renting from them, no matter how good the price.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information