2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.9/5 (1163 ratings)

About Advantage Rent-A-Car

Advantage Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Advantage car rental is very dishonest and misleading company. I would never ever use them again. I was charged for highway pass that I did not use or want and was told when I rented the car that I would not be charged if I do not use it, and I did not use it and was still charged. They also tell customers about the gas usage and charge you for the gas. I tried calling customer service and they were no help.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

From having a horrible experience with Fox Rent-A-Car in Los Angeles, I had a GREAT experience with Advantage. They were absolutely fantastic. Great customer service, car was all ready for me, easy pick up and drop off.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I rented an economy size vehicle during a stay in New York in January of 2020. My only purpose for the car was to get to NY to Newark airport in NJ - next day drop off. Upon dropping the car off the assistant double charged my CC and informed me that she rectified the charge. However, upon my return back to Texas, I’d noticed that the charge had not been removed. I followed the appropriate steps for a (1) call to the company and (2) submitting a dispute to my Cc company. The customer service center for Advantage was unhelpful and almost insinuated that I was wrong, although I had all documentation in front of me. My CC company disputed and I was reimbursed, finally, in March. It is now May and they are trying to collect the money from me all over again. I rent with other companies regularly for work and have never experienced anything like this. I’m highly disappointed!

Original review: March 29, 2020

As part of a timeshare from Tahiti Village we received a free 3 day car rental from Advantage Car Rental. We were told by both Tahiti Village and Advantage that there would be no additional charges to us. When we arrived to pick up the car, the lady at the counter of Advantage asked us if my husband wanted to drive as well. She did not mention that there would be any additional charges. She then proceeded to tell me they needed my credit card in case of any damage. She then asked us to sign an electronic pad, without showing us the contract. I asked to see the contract, but she said that it will be printed after we signed. It wasn't until we returned the car that we noticed that they charged us for my husband and he didn't even drive. They were deceitful in their dealings. Stay away from ADVANTAGE!

Original review: March 16, 2020

My experience with Advantage was fine until I realized they charged me for collision insurance I specifically asked to waive, which is frighteningly common for this company. When I originally called the customer service department, they gave me the runaround telling me the corporate office reviewed my case and denied the request... Then after some pushing they said corporate approved a 20% refund... All lies to get you to pay extra! Finally I called a different customer service number and got an extremely helpful gentleman named Sebastian to waive the fee for me almost right away (no corporate review needed... Interesting!) Thank you so much Sebastian for reviewing my case and for giving me the assistance I needed. Advice to new car renters - double check EVERYTHING and beware of scams!

Original review: March 6, 2020

I arrived 15 mins early. I was asked if I wanted to upgrade my car, pay for their gas, or wanted their insurance, I said no. I was then told nothing about any policies, late fees, gas fees, etc. Fuji (the attendant) then asked for my payment and told me to go sit and wait for 30 minutes because no standard cars were ready. I waited for exactly 30 minutes (keep in mind no one else was sitting waiting for a car) then went back to the counter and asked if my car was ready. They said "um what was your name?" I told them, they said, "Well actually we will just upgrade your car for free!"

I was excited until they told me it would be a minivan. I had already told them I was traveling alone, so I clearly did not need a bigger car. It was also one of the worst rental cars I've ever had for gas mileage. So on top of not getting the car I signed up for, get an "upgrade" that I didn't want they also apparently didn't actually check me in earlier so I had to go over all of my information again with them. I was so frustrated as I walked to the garage to get my car!

Once in the garage a woman that checked in after me was getting into a Passat. I asked the attendant why I did not get that car, since she checked in after me? They of course had no idea and stared at me with blank looks. I then asked if I could have something besides a van, she stared at me and told me to wait a minute. I told her to forget. I was done waiting! She handed me keys and told me to go to spot # 18. No one walked me to my car, showed me around, or even looked at the car with me for the damage on it.

Then when I was returning the car I pulled up & parked the car. The attendant that was there was walking around talking on his phone, didn't even acknowledge me. So I finally asked if I needed to do anything and he said "nah you're good to go" and turned around. I asked for a receipt and he told me to go to the desk. I will NEVER use this company again! All around it was a terrible experience just to save me $30. I'll be sticking with Fox from now on.

Original review: March 6, 2020

I have hired cars all around the world but have not experienced untrustworthy practices like the ones used by Advantage. I brought the car back full and they contacted me to charge me for a full tank (credit card statements confirmed I had fuelled the car prior to return), they made me sign a small screen a number of times on hire that included hidden charges. The contract they provide is in text so small that it cant be read without a microscope. All of these costs you will only know about after you have returned the car with no issues. I engaged with customer services and they provided no support. Please avoid or please take pictures of everything - including the fuel guage, handing the keys back - everything. There are shady practices in Advantage. Avoid them if you can and take all precautions if you can't. As said I have hired cars worldwide and no company has pulled the tricks that Advantage have. Beware, they will cheat you.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I returned this car with no issues. Three weeks later they contacted me and informed me that the windshield was cracked and that I was responsible for the damages. The next week I got a letter from Viking Billing Service a collection agency demanding the money and threatening my credit. My wife and myself are over 50 and very responsible adults. If I would have damaged the car I would have turned it into my insurance company on the spot. Do not mess with this company or you too may fall victim to their scam.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I just had one of the worst traumatizing experiences of my life thanks to this rental company. I flew to Tampa, Fl on business. Once landed picked up my rental and headed to my hotel. After I checked in I went and picked up my clients for a business dinner. This is where our night took a turn for the worst. We were pulled over by TPD. Knowing I did nothing wrong I was confused on what was going on and why their guns were drawn. After making us get out, searching the vehicle and running everyone's information we find out that they thought the vehicle was stolen due to the fact that some "genius" placed the wrong license plate on my rental.

I'm a military veteran with PTSD and the last thing I needed was this stressful event taking place. Of course now our night is ruined and I have busy schedule tomorrow so I had no choice but to race back to the airport before they closed at 11:30 while on the phone with their corporate office. They tell me to call the manager at the Tampa branch where I was headed. Made it by 11:15. I explain to the attendant my situation and of course they didn't show any remorse for my situation and I wasn't expecting them to. I asked for the manager I'm told to call in the morning because they're asleep.

Soooo the next day once I find a break in my day I follow up with the contact information given to me to reach the manager on duty. I call and I get the manager that's not on duty. She says she thought she forwarded the calls to the manager on duty and she'd pass my case over and they'd give me a call. Two days later I still have not received a call from them yet. I was trying to give them a chance to save face before I took this matter public but they don't seem to care about me or my horrible experience so I'll definitely be following up and taking this public. Rental# **

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I was hoodwinked being charged for Collision insurance even though I specifically stated I did not need or want anything other than what I signed up for online with Holiday car rental. I received a bill for 94.68 and had to send proof of my State Farm ins and they never called me and when I called they said basically too bad a Mgr made the decision and then would NOT allow me to speak to a Mgr or Supervisor. They were in a mtg and I was told this is a final decision period! I called my Credit card and put a hold on it as this seems to be a regular thing for rentals. I am beyond livid.

I even gave a rave review of Marilu the attendant at the airport...little did I know she was ignoring me and charged me anyway. This is how they make their money and to not have a Supervisor or manager to discuss the dispute with is unacceptable. Waste of my time to have to deal with this. The kicker is the little black box thingy you have to initial and sign was malfunctioning and Marilu had to help with it but it's up so high you can't even see what you are signing. I would have assumed she wasn't giving me something I said I did NOT WANT OR NEED. Very disappointing.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I misplaced my Advantage Rent-A-Car rental car key, but Advantage Rent-A-Car offered no support: my Advantage Rent-A-Car replacement car key cost $400+. Advantage Rent-A-Car did not offer me any replacement car key rebate. Also, the customer service representative assumed he had the right to embezzle me: he was verbally abusive, and claimed he was doing his job, correctly.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

1/28/2020 Picked up the rental car in Charlotte at garage booth. At the rental booth in the garage there was a very loud noise possibly due to construction, and it was difficult to hear the attendant Tracy. She was very pleasant and made small talk and I trusted that she was accommodating my wishes that I did not want additional insurance on the vehicle. I signed a couple places on the keypad and went on my merry way. It was to my surprise a couple hours later that I had such a large hold on my bank account. As I return the car early Sunday morning, I use the dropbox to return my keys and proceeded to the airport. I did encounter an attendant in the garage walking towards the booth and she asked for the keys and I stated that I put them in the dropbox. She was irritated and not pleased that I put them in the dropbox. She stated that she would email my receipt as I was off to catch my flight.

As I was looking over my paperwork I discovered I was charged $14.99 a day for additional insurance. My initials were even in the box stating that I did agree to supplemental insurance but I told Tracey verbally and trusted her that I was signing the appropriate boxes to complete my agreement. I feel like this was a switch and bait operation, as the attendant used the language “would you like additional insurance or stick with basic”?

My interpretation was my basic insurance that I hold personally and I verbally said I did not want additional insurance. So I called customer service and they offered a 15% voucher on my next rental or 20% off of the charge of $74.95. I stated I was not happy with any of those offers and wanted to speak to a manager and the customer service representative stated that the managers were in a meeting. She would send my claim to a different department and I was to call back in 48 hours. I called back in 48 hours and received the same offer a 15% voucher or 20% off of the charge. At this point being extremely frustrated and learning a valuable lesson to always look at your paperwork. I took the 20% off of the $74.95 and I am still waiting for a credit to my account.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was told the $200 deposit was only a hold and would be released when I returned the car. What really happened is they took the money out of my account. When I called they said they didn't take it out of my account, and then said I would get it back in 3 to 10 days, still denying they took it. Very shady! Go with someone else! Don't rent from Advantage!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I rented a car from them via Hotwire. When picking up the car, I told them I did NOT want the extra insurance. I had already declined it on the hotwire site. I signed and initialed on a keypad and trusted I was waiving the insurance. The printed bill even uses the word "waiver". Shame on me for not reviewing the paperwork more closely. Had a charge on my credit card several days later and they will do nothing to reimburse me. Learned a lesson. Will never rent from them again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

This was my first time renting a car & it was HORRIBLE!!! When I arrived to Advantage Rent-A-Car in Denver, CO they pretty much forced me to upgrade stating that I couldn’t get the Kia that I originally had an online quote for $136 because it had to be a 4wd!! They upgraded me & with all the extra charges. It was $424 total. When the guy at the counter asked me what time I would be returning the car I told him 11:30am because my flight was at 1:45pm. For some reason he put 10:30am & they charged me for an extra day because I returned the car at 11:33am!!!! I got the car at 9:31am so technically I was 2 mins late. Apparently, advantage has a grace period of an hour so if the guy at the counter would’ve put my original time being 11:30am I would’ve had until 12:30pm. So from being 2 minutes “late” I was charged an extra $160 something!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I should have read other people's reviews before purchasing from Advantage. It would have saved me $177. My review is similar to many others where I'm more confident that this is how Advantage Rent A Car scams people. I got to the front desk where Jose ** was our preparer. He asked if I wanted the "Collision Damage Waiver/CDW". I stated "no". He asked again as we checked out, I again repeated "no". I go to sign it and when I returned the car got an email charge of $177 because Jose ** put down "yes" for the CDW. I then called to get a refund on the CDW that I stated I did NOT want and customer service stated the account was closed but that I could get a 25% off my next purchase. Hard pass!! If you see anything that says "Advantage Rent A Car" run as far as you can! Two lessons, sit there and re-read everything (I was bamboozled because Jose ** stated the amount was higher than usual because of fees but that they would be waived when the car was returned, so I didn't think twice) and secondly, NEVER PURCHASE FROM ADVANTAGE RENT A CAR!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I travel frequently and rent cars I have never had a bad experience, until a trip to Maui to visit my daughter and grandsons. The problems started upon my arrival to rent car. The employee was not friendly and continually tried to upsell. Every time I said no he became more and more frustrated with me. It was an exhausting experience to get a car. I had already reserved and just wanted to pick up and get on my way. After my trip I received my credit card statement and I was overcharged.

I called and I was told I was supposed to turn car in at 9:00am but did not turn car in until 7:00pm. I told them that is impossible because I was already on a flight home. I was then told I needed to send proof so I was given a email address to send proof. I sent requested information and never got a response. I called back and was told I sent to wrong email address. There is more to my bad experience, but I will not use this car rental service again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Rented from Advantage in Orlando FL, January 2020. The car we got was only about 3/4 full, which I didn't notice until we had already left the airport. Further, one of the tires apparently had a slow leak and needed air in it more than once. After returning, we noticed our final invoice had a "refueling charge" of $6, i.e. 2/3 of a gallon. I called customer service to explain that the car was not filled up when we got it, and had a defective tire as well, and was told in polite terms to buzz off. This is not exactly a major horror story, and the amount involved is pretty trivial, but car rental is a competitive business and a company that deals with its customers in a sloppy manner like this does not need to be patronized. I certainly won't.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Advantage Rental Car in Los Angeles/LAX, agent Tiffani, required me to purchase insurance, even though I'm privately insured and told her that I would assume the risk. She told me that it was required to rent the car. I paid for insurance. She lied. It was not required. I could not get it refunded. Never again will I rent from this company with dishonest practices. Spread the word. They're terrible.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Hi I had already prebooked and prepaid via Priceline for the 6 passenger car reservation in Advantage. However in the Advantage counter I was told that they do not have any car in their stock and they cannot help in arranging any. I had a very tough time in searching other rental car. I have decided never to rent car from Advantage.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Rented a Camry from Denver. I wish I had read the reviews of Advantage car rental. The Agent wouldn't allow me to take the car I had rented because of road conditions. They trap you because a shuttle takes you away from the airport. I'm sorry but I have been driving 42 years in the Midwest and I think I can drive. I had a $225.00 upcharge and no way out. I tend to trust people but don't be fooled by this outfit. Very poor customer service with agents that are rude and trained to pressure you. Never again!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I recently rented a sedan at Denver airport through Priceline. When we got to the counter to pick up the car, we were told the sedan was not "traction compliant" with Denver's laws since it was December. The clerk "found" an SUV, with an upcharge of $333. The Santa Fe rents on their website for 57.88/day. They had us backed in to a corner, and we basically had to agree. I contacted customer service to complain about the up charge, and received a rude and argumentative response. I have never experienced such bad customer service. After she argued with me for several minutes, she agreed to file a case. I was told I would get a response in 48 hrs. It has been a week, with no response, even by email. This is a disreputable company, and would I advise anyone to avoid renting from them, no matter how good the price.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Rented a car from Advantage Rental car for 4 days. Returned the car back fully fuel. Checked the invoice they sent me thru email and found that they charged me an extra $10.44 for gas. They charge $8.99 per gallon if it is not fully fill. I knew about that and I filled it before I returned it. How in the heck can they charge $10.44. that is about 1 1/4 gallon of gas. How could that reach that amount??? Never again!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Before you leave a negative FB, call their helpful number first 407-888-0519, they will try their best to help you. We were not happy about our rental experience in Las Vegas, we were charged for insurance coverage when we insisted that we didn't need it, after I talked to the lady who picked up the phone, she solved my problem right away. Other than the unknown charge, we don't have any other complaints. Helping yourself is also helping them to improve, so call them first.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Advantage Rent-A-Car is the worst. They quoted me at $46.53 for a Nissan on a three day trip (once I applied a discount code), so I was super excited. When I arrived, the lady helping me was super rude and I could barely understand what she was saying. She said there would be a $200 pending charge on my credit card (typical) and $91.59 for a Hyundai Elantra (a downgrade) instead of the $46.

When I asked where the extra $50 was coming from, she said "tax" and I told her that the tax had been included in the original quote. She then said it was for gas, but that I would be refunded for any of the full tank that I did not use. I used less than a half tank of gas and was issued no refund for the gas. In addition to that, the lady at the counter when I offered to pay said that she could not accept cash for the payment because it was too early in the morning. So my credit card which I was trying not to use at all, now has been charged $91 for a car that I did not want, and they charged me $50 for a half tank of gas. Beware! Whatever the quote they give you is NOT what you will be charged. Dishonest and rude.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

You think you will get better deal than from others but be aware! They will get you and add the charges even week after you will return a car. We rented minivan for two weeks vacation. The car wasn't cleaned and we found pieces of peanuts on the back seat. One of our kids is allergic to peanuts so we had to stop by the car wash and had it cleaned thoroughly. I did call the company and complained but their customer service is in Philippines and we couldn't really understand each other.

Now back to extra charges... We had to extend the rental for another day, we got stuck in the way back and that was ridiculously high...58dolars a day when original Priceline price was 31/day. We returned the car with some dirt in it, like after two weeks use and nowhere in contract was specify that car has to be thoroughly clean on return. The guy who check out the car said it's everything ok so we finished paperwork, pay extra fees for extending time and thought this is it. Well week letter the new charges start peeling out and charged to our credit card. 203dol for car cleaning!!! 45 for tools when we pay everything in cash (they forgot to mention that car has built in easy pass and charges will apply). Then they add administration fees. It comes to over 300 dollars more and you can't dispute, they have it all in the fine print! So much for Advantage! No more!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Advantage charged us for E-Z toll and FPO (fuel purchase option). You do not need either one. FPO is a charge for a FULL tank of gas - not the cheap price to refuel as they state. DECLINE all add ons!!! They upsell you on the E-Z toll rental (which ends up being $12.99 per day) and they look surprised when you say you will pay tolls in cash if you don't choose it, and state that you will have trouble doing that as some of the booths are not manned. That's not true. Tolls are around $1.60 as you pass and and every single one is manned and clearly states - CASH. DECLINE the E-Z toll.

DECLINE the fuel purchase option!!! This is another upsell designed to confuse you. They make it sound like fuel is cheaper if you purchase this, you won't have to hassle with refueling, and it's just much easier (who wants to look for a gas station in an unfamiliar location right??). What they DON'T tell you is.... you just purchased the FPO (fuel purchase option). What this means is you are purchasing a full tank of gas. It doesn't mean that they will refuel your rental and refund you the difference. It doesn't mean that you will pay the $2.99 per gallon noted on the contract.

It only works in your favor if you return with an EMPTY tank. We used less than a 1/4 tank and paid $11.99 per gallon - the FPO charge was $53.98 They skew what they share to convince you that this option is a benefit. Our $88.51 rental ended up at $190.99! I'm really savvy and ask a lot of questions and this still got past me. Again.... DECLINE any purchase offer a rental car company presents to you as you pick up your car.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Very deceptive tactic process at the counter. They twist words around so they can charge you insurance without consent. They say, "would you like to add insurance or stick with basic?" So most people using a credit card that provides car rental insurance would decline the insurance offered by the car rental company. So I said, "No thanks, just the basic rental." At the end of the rental, they charged me the "basic insurance" and insisted that I agreed to it. DECEPTIVE!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

We rented the car in Las Vegas and drove to Arizona and Utah to visit national parks. Not to mention that it's old model and DIESEL only (more expensive for gas and inconvenient), the heater in the car is not working! We were driving in snow condition without heater. I had to wear down jacket, hat, mask and gloves in the car to keep myself warm. It was 20 degree outside and probably the same in the car. Couldn't feel my legs after one hour driving. Worst car rental experience I've ever had!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Paid $319.14 for a basic rental car for 5 days. A week after the rental I get a charge for $212.69. Total for 5 days is $531.73 making that a $106.35 per day rental rate in a basic car rental. That is criminal. Awful way to rob people... Go to another car rental company.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information