2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.34/5

Advantage Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: March 6, 2020

I have hired cars all around the world but have not experienced untrustworthy practices like the ones used by Advantage. I brought the car back full and they contacted me to charge me for a full tank (credit card statements confirmed I had fuelled the car prior to return), they made me sign a small screen a number of times on hire that included hidden charges. The contract they provide is in text so small that it cant be read without a microscope. All of these costs you will only know about after you have returned the car with no issues. I engaged with customer services and they provided no support. Please avoid or please take pictures of everything - including the fuel guage, handing the keys back - everything. There are shady practices in Advantage. Avoid them if you can and take all precautions if you can't. As said I have hired cars worldwide and no company has pulled the tricks that Advantage have. Beware, they will cheat you.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I returned this car with no issues. Three weeks later they contacted me and informed me that the windshield was cracked and that I was responsible for the damages. The next week I got a letter from Viking Billing Service a collection agency demanding the money and threatening my credit. My wife and myself are over 50 and very responsible adults. If I would have damaged the car I would have turned it into my insurance company on the spot. Do not mess with this company or you too may fall victim to their scam.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I just had one of the worst traumatizing experiences of my life thanks to this rental company. I flew to Tampa, Fl on business. Once landed picked up my rental and headed to my hotel. After I checked in I went and picked up my clients for a business dinner. This is where our night took a turn for the worst. We were pulled over by TPD. Knowing I did nothing wrong I was confused on what was going on and why their guns were drawn. After making us get out, searching the vehicle and running everyone's information we find out that they thought the vehicle was stolen due to the fact that some "genius" placed the wrong license plate on my rental.

I'm a military veteran with PTSD and the last thing I needed was this stressful event taking place. Of course now our night is ruined and I have busy schedule tomorrow so I had no choice but to race back to the airport before they closed at 11:30 while on the phone with their corporate office. They tell me to call the manager at the Tampa branch where I was headed. Made it by 11:15. I explain to the attendant my situation and of course they didn't show any remorse for my situation and I wasn't expecting them to. I asked for the manager I'm told to call in the morning because they're asleep.

Soooo the next day once I find a break in my day I follow up with the contact information given to me to reach the manager on duty. I call and I get the manager that's not on duty. She says she thought she forwarded the calls to the manager on duty and she'd pass my case over and they'd give me a call. Two days later I still have not received a call from them yet. I was trying to give them a chance to save face before I took this matter public but they don't seem to care about me or my horrible experience so I'll definitely be following up and taking this public. Rental# **

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I was hoodwinked being charged for Collision insurance even though I specifically stated I did not need or want anything other than what I signed up for online with Holiday car rental. I received a bill for 94.68 and had to send proof of my State Farm ins and they never called me and when I called they said basically too bad a Mgr made the decision and then would NOT allow me to speak to a Mgr or Supervisor. They were in a mtg and I was told this is a final decision period! I called my Credit card and put a hold on it as this seems to be a regular thing for rentals. I am beyond livid.

I even gave a rave review of Marilu the attendant at the airport...little did I know she was ignoring me and charged me anyway. This is how they make their money and to not have a Supervisor or manager to discuss the dispute with is unacceptable. Waste of my time to have to deal with this. The kicker is the little black box thingy you have to initial and sign was malfunctioning and Marilu had to help with it but it's up so high you can't even see what you are signing. I would have assumed she wasn't giving me something I said I did NOT WANT OR NEED. Very disappointing.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I misplaced my Advantage Rent-A-Car rental car key, but Advantage Rent-A-Car offered no support: my Advantage Rent-A-Car replacement car key cost $400+. Advantage Rent-A-Car did not offer me any replacement car key rebate. Also, the customer service representative assumed he had the right to embezzle me: he was verbally abusive, and claimed he was doing his job, correctly.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

1/28/2020 Picked up the rental car in Charlotte at garage booth. At the rental booth in the garage there was a very loud noise possibly due to construction, and it was difficult to hear the attendant Tracy. She was very pleasant and made small talk and I trusted that she was accommodating my wishes that I did not want additional insurance on the vehicle. I signed a couple places on the keypad and went on my merry way. It was to my surprise a couple hours later that I had such a large hold on my bank account. As I return the car early Sunday morning, I use the dropbox to return my keys and proceeded to the airport. I did encounter an attendant in the garage walking towards the booth and she asked for the keys and I stated that I put them in the dropbox. She was irritated and not pleased that I put them in the dropbox. She stated that she would email my receipt as I was off to catch my flight.

As I was looking over my paperwork I discovered I was charged $14.99 a day for additional insurance. My initials were even in the box stating that I did agree to supplemental insurance but I told Tracey verbally and trusted her that I was signing the appropriate boxes to complete my agreement. I feel like this was a switch and bait operation, as the attendant used the language “would you like additional insurance or stick with basic”?

My interpretation was my basic insurance that I hold personally and I verbally said I did not want additional insurance. So I called customer service and they offered a 15% voucher on my next rental or 20% off of the charge of $74.95. I stated I was not happy with any of those offers and wanted to speak to a manager and the customer service representative stated that the managers were in a meeting. She would send my claim to a different department and I was to call back in 48 hours. I called back in 48 hours and received the same offer a 15% voucher or 20% off of the charge. At this point being extremely frustrated and learning a valuable lesson to always look at your paperwork. I took the 20% off of the $74.95 and I am still waiting for a credit to my account.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was told the $200 deposit was only a hold and would be released when I returned the car. What really happened is they took the money out of my account. When I called they said they didn't take it out of my account, and then said I would get it back in 3 to 10 days, still denying they took it. Very shady! Go with someone else! Don't rent from Advantage!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I rented a car from them via Hotwire. When picking up the car, I told them I did NOT want the extra insurance. I had already declined it on the hotwire site. I signed and initialed on a keypad and trusted I was waiving the insurance. The printed bill even uses the word "waiver". Shame on me for not reviewing the paperwork more closely. Had a charge on my credit card several days later and they will do nothing to reimburse me. Learned a lesson. Will never rent from them again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

This was my first time renting a car & it was HORRIBLE!!! When I arrived to Advantage Rent-A-Car in Denver, CO they pretty much forced me to upgrade stating that I couldn’t get the Kia that I originally had an online quote for $136 because it had to be a 4wd!! They upgraded me & with all the extra charges. It was $424 total. When the guy at the counter asked me what time I would be returning the car I told him 11:30am because my flight was at 1:45pm. For some reason he put 10:30am & they charged me for an extra day because I returned the car at 11:33am!!!! I got the car at 9:31am so technically I was 2 mins late. Apparently, advantage has a grace period of an hour so if the guy at the counter would’ve put my original time being 11:30am I would’ve had until 12:30pm. So from being 2 minutes “late” I was charged an extra $160 something!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I should have read other people's reviews before purchasing from Advantage. It would have saved me $177. My review is similar to many others where I'm more confident that this is how Advantage Rent A Car scams people. I got to the front desk where Jose ** was our preparer. He asked if I wanted the "Collision Damage Waiver/CDW". I stated "no". He asked again as we checked out, I again repeated "no". I go to sign it and when I returned the car got an email charge of $177 because Jose ** put down "yes" for the CDW. I then called to get a refund on the CDW that I stated I did NOT want and customer service stated the account was closed but that I could get a 25% off my next purchase. Hard pass!! If you see anything that says "Advantage Rent A Car" run as far as you can! Two lessons, sit there and re-read everything (I was bamboozled because Jose ** stated the amount was higher than usual because of fees but that they would be waived when the car was returned, so I didn't think twice) and secondly, NEVER PURCHASE FROM ADVANTAGE RENT A CAR!

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information