2.9/5 (2521 ratings)

About Advantage Rent-A-Car

Advantage Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Rented from Advantage in Orlando FL, January 2020. The car we got was only about 3/4 full, which I didn't notice until we had already left the airport. Further, one of the tires apparently had a slow leak and needed air in it more than once. After returning, we noticed our final invoice had a "refueling charge" of $6, i.e. 2/3 of a gallon. I called customer service to explain that the car was not filled up when we got it, and had a defective tire as well, and was told in polite terms to buzz off. This is not exactly a major horror story, and the amount involved is pretty trivial, but car rental is a competitive business and a company that deals with its customers in a sloppy manner like this does not need to be patronized. I certainly won't.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Advantage Rental Car in Los Angeles/LAX, agent Tiffani, required me to purchase insurance, even though I'm privately insured and told her that I would assume the risk. She told me that it was required to rent the car. I paid for insurance. She lied. It was not required. I could not get it refunded. Never again will I rent from this company with dishonest practices. Spread the word. They're terrible.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Hi I had already prebooked and prepaid via Priceline for the 6 passenger car reservation in Advantage. However in the Advantage counter I was told that they do not have any car in their stock and they cannot help in arranging any. I had a very tough time in searching other rental car. I have decided never to rent car from Advantage.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Rented a Camry from Denver. I wish I had read the reviews of Advantage car rental. The Agent wouldn't allow me to take the car I had rented because of road conditions. They trap you because a shuttle takes you away from the airport. I'm sorry but I have been driving 42 years in the Midwest and I think I can drive. I had a $225.00 upcharge and no way out. I tend to trust people but don't be fooled by this outfit. Very poor customer service with agents that are rude and trained to pressure you. Never again!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I recently rented a sedan at Denver airport through Priceline. When we got to the counter to pick up the car, we were told the sedan was not "traction compliant" with Denver's laws since it was December. The clerk "found" an SUV, with an upcharge of $333. The Santa Fe rents on their website for 57.88/day. They had us backed in to a corner, and we basically had to agree. I contacted customer service to complain about the up charge, and received a rude and argumentative response. I have never experienced such bad customer service. After she argued with me for several minutes, she agreed to file a case. I was told I would get a response in 48 hrs. It has been a week, with no response, even by email. This is a disreputable company, and would I advise anyone to avoid renting from them, no matter how good the price.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Rented a car from Advantage Rental car for 4 days. Returned the car back fully fuel. Checked the invoice they sent me thru email and found that they charged me an extra $10.44 for gas. They charge $8.99 per gallon if it is not fully fill. I knew about that and I filled it before I returned it. How in the heck can they charge $10.44. that is about 1 1/4 gallon of gas. How could that reach that amount??? Never again!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Before you leave a negative FB, call their helpful number first 407-888-0519, they will try their best to help you. We were not happy about our rental experience in Las Vegas, we were charged for insurance coverage when we insisted that we didn't need it, after I talked to the lady who picked up the phone, she solved my problem right away. Other than the unknown charge, we don't have any other complaints. Helping yourself is also helping them to improve, so call them first.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Advantage Rent-A-Car is the worst. They quoted me at $46.53 for a Nissan on a three day trip (once I applied a discount code), so I was super excited. When I arrived, the lady helping me was super rude and I could barely understand what she was saying. She said there would be a $200 pending charge on my credit card (typical) and $91.59 for a Hyundai Elantra (a downgrade) instead of the $46.

When I asked where the extra $50 was coming from, she said "tax" and I told her that the tax had been included in the original quote. She then said it was for gas, but that I would be refunded for any of the full tank that I did not use. I used less than a half tank of gas and was issued no refund for the gas. In addition to that, the lady at the counter when I offered to pay said that she could not accept cash for the payment because it was too early in the morning. So my credit card which I was trying not to use at all, now has been charged $91 for a car that I did not want, and they charged me $50 for a half tank of gas. Beware! Whatever the quote they give you is NOT what you will be charged. Dishonest and rude.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

You think you will get better deal than from others but be aware! They will get you and add the charges even week after you will return a car. We rented minivan for two weeks vacation. The car wasn't cleaned and we found pieces of peanuts on the back seat. One of our kids is allergic to peanuts so we had to stop by the car wash and had it cleaned thoroughly. I did call the company and complained but their customer service is in Philippines and we couldn't really understand each other.

Now back to extra charges... We had to extend the rental for another day, we got stuck in the way back and that was ridiculously high...58dolars a day when original Priceline price was 31/day. We returned the car with some dirt in it, like after two weeks use and nowhere in contract was specify that car has to be thoroughly clean on return. The guy who check out the car said it's everything ok so we finished paperwork, pay extra fees for extending time and thought this is it. Well week letter the new charges start peeling out and charged to our credit card. 203dol for car cleaning!!! 45 for tools when we pay everything in cash (they forgot to mention that car has built in easy pass and charges will apply). Then they add administration fees. It comes to over 300 dollars more and you can't dispute, they have it all in the fine print! So much for Advantage! No more!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Advantage charged us for E-Z toll and FPO (fuel purchase option). You do not need either one. FPO is a charge for a FULL tank of gas - not the cheap price to refuel as they state. DECLINE all add ons!!! They upsell you on the E-Z toll rental (which ends up being $12.99 per day) and they look surprised when you say you will pay tolls in cash if you don't choose it, and state that you will have trouble doing that as some of the booths are not manned. That's not true. Tolls are around $1.60 as you pass and and every single one is manned and clearly states - CASH. DECLINE the E-Z toll.

DECLINE the fuel purchase option!!! This is another upsell designed to confuse you. They make it sound like fuel is cheaper if you purchase this, you won't have to hassle with refueling, and it's just much easier (who wants to look for a gas station in an unfamiliar location right??). What they DON'T tell you is.... you just purchased the FPO (fuel purchase option). What this means is you are purchasing a full tank of gas. It doesn't mean that they will refuel your rental and refund you the difference. It doesn't mean that you will pay the $2.99 per gallon noted on the contract.

It only works in your favor if you return with an EMPTY tank. We used less than a 1/4 tank and paid $11.99 per gallon - the FPO charge was $53.98 They skew what they share to convince you that this option is a benefit. Our $88.51 rental ended up at $190.99! I'm really savvy and ask a lot of questions and this still got past me. Again.... DECLINE any purchase offer a rental car company presents to you as you pick up your car.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Very deceptive tactic process at the counter. They twist words around so they can charge you insurance without consent. They say, "would you like to add insurance or stick with basic?" So most people using a credit card that provides car rental insurance would decline the insurance offered by the car rental company. So I said, "No thanks, just the basic rental." At the end of the rental, they charged me the "basic insurance" and insisted that I agreed to it. DECEPTIVE!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

We rented the car in Las Vegas and drove to Arizona and Utah to visit national parks. Not to mention that it's old model and DIESEL only (more expensive for gas and inconvenient), the heater in the car is not working! We were driving in snow condition without heater. I had to wear down jacket, hat, mask and gloves in the car to keep myself warm. It was 20 degree outside and probably the same in the car. Couldn't feel my legs after one hour driving. Worst car rental experience I've ever had!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Paid $319.14 for a basic rental car for 5 days. A week after the rental I get a charge for $212.69. Total for 5 days is $531.73 making that a $106.35 per day rental rate in a basic car rental. That is criminal. Awful way to rob people... Go to another car rental company.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

It was my first experience with Advantage and it was really disappointed. The staff was good in explanation at the counter before I pick up the car. He also offered free GPS and said waive the fuel charges for me and mentioned “can come back with empty fuel”. The staff charged me additional $200 deposit and mentioned will return back to my credit card if nil damage to the rental car. When I returned my car, another staff at the Advantage Rent-A-Car checked the car and thanks me for returning the GPS; also shared the deposit will go back to my credit card within 3-5 business days.

I was positive until I see my credit card bill and when I am away. The company didn’t return my deposit. My family and I have been calling the company to find out more about the charges but the company staff shared that’s nothing they can do and that’s the fuel charges. It can totally be a scam if the staff at the front counter can tell me such conditions and add in charges behind my back. This is really disappointing and I feel cheated.

If the staff tells me to come back with full tank or else get charges by the company, I will come back with full tank which doesn’t cost my deposit. Throughout my trip to Rocky Mountain, my fuel charge was $2.60 per gallon and what made the company think it’s okay for them to charge me $158+ for the fuel at the end, which is $8.99 per gallon. Sorry but not sorry to say that I will not step my foot into any Advantage Rent-A-Car outlets after this first and ever experience with them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I made a reservation for select dates but could not find a flight to match so I had to shift my car rental by one day. I called the "modification department" and was told because I prepaid I couldn't modify (uh what?!) and was instructed to instead make a whole new reservation then call back to cancel the other one (again, what?!). After doing so and not selecting a prepaid reservation (because what is the benefit of that at this point) I called back and was told I could not cancel the old one because the new one isn't prepaid. It sure would have helped if the original man I spoke to informed me of that....or that the website explained that....or that it wasn't even a policy because truthfully it's a waste of time for everyone involved. You are better off renting through another agency. Anyone but Advantage. The only advantage you gain through using them is you will be angry enough to use their customer service as a verbal punching bag.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Scam!!! First and last time with this company. I travel a lot but never had such a bad experience. Rented online with Hotwire.com and pay in full ($241) for rent a car at Phoenix airport. At Phoenix airport just like many others I declined additional rental car insurance because I have one. They ask me to sign 3 places but did not show me the computer screen. Later I was charged $27.49 per day for COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER (CDW) I did not order. In their policy ADVANTAGE stated that (CDW) is not an insurance (but it is). I found this later when they sent me a e-mail bill. When I asked why my bill is going up so much ($361.25) the clerk told me that this is for everything (I ordered full tank $53 for gas). Turn out that the $361.25 was on the top of the $241 I did pay. Call later customer service and they told me that they can give me back only 20% of the money ($58). A fraudulent company. Scam!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Upon getting an email with my charges I realized I was overcharged $400. I was charged $.34.49 and $14.99 daily for insurance I didn’t need or want. Upon calling the company they are refusing any relief. All they are willing to do is give me a voucher for 25% off my next rental. I am beyond upset. Also Abdul the agent lied about needing a to pass for $10 daily saying cash was no longer accepted even though it was.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Rented at Orlando airport (agent Tony). I declined the additional offers and told them I had personal rental car insurance. They presented the screen and had me sign 3 places. I was charged $15 per day for supplemental insurance and when I called (Joe) he told me I signed a legal contract and there was nothing he could do. Joe then pretended he could not hear me on the phone and ended the call. A fraudulent company.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Excellent experience of renting a car in Phoenix, Arizona. Staff at both end (car rental and rental return) was very helpful and professional. Mr. Imad **, agent at return section was very helpful and professional. Will definitely rent from Advantage on our next trip. Final price as exactly as agreed and no surprises.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

The most terrible experience I have had with a rental car company. Trust me just save your money and go somewhere else. They overcharged me almost $100 stating that I brought the car back late but I didn't. Called and emailed customer service and they were not able to help.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Prepaid for my rental and then canceled 22 hours later and was charged $50. Why not indicate in large letters that there will be a cancellation fee if it’s prepaid; instead they hide it with tiny print that no one ever reads. I would have rather paid at the location if I knew that I could end up $50 short.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

The rental was reasonable at a per day rate. It's the add-on fees and "extra" charges that will turn what once was a good deal into one where you might as well just rent from one of the bigger companies. You probably will save money that way. For example, if you are late even by a little (we weren't but just FYI), they will charge you double the price of your entire rental. They will also stall at the return to drive up the time. Make sure you document when you drop it back. We arrived at the airport at 7:30am, they didn't check our car back in until 9am. 9:30am was the time due - we just dropped the keys in the front seat and left after being passed up twice by the attendant for folks who arrived after us.

Don't do the auto-tolls. We drove by two tolls which took cash. They will try to tell you there are roads that don't accept cash - this is true so pay attention. If you incur a toll charge, you will pay $15 for the pleasure of paying the fee directly to the company - each time. We opted for the auto-toll but it was not worth the $10/day. Finally, they will charge you over $11/gallon to fill up your tank if it is not at exactly full. We returned with 7/8 of a tank (more we think but that's what they documented) and were charged $26 to fill it back to "full". Summary - read the fine print and maybe go somewhere else.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

My husband and I rented a vehicle from Advantage in October 2019, for a week, for a vacation. In person, we were treated well, and given a great car to use, no complaints there. But why we will never use this company again? How we were treated at the call center. We noticed some discrepancies on our bill on two occasions during the trip. We were treated so poorly by the call center, including, but not limited to being infantalized, we cannot use this company again, despite the parts that did go right. Further, our discrepancy was never corrected, and we will have to seek legal action through our credit card company. I do not recommend this company. There are other, more courteous companies out there. Customer service is important with so much competition. Hope this review can help someone.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I paid $240.02 for a car hire (incl. collision damage waiver) (Houston airport) for 2 days, the same service would have cost me $152.60 with a better company like Hertz. The car interior was clean but had an extreme smell of tobacco, I had to drive with the windows down for the first 10 minutes of every drive. The car exterior was not washed, it was dirty and the front full of bugs. When I told the attendant that the car was dirty and smelly, he said "what do you want me to do about it" as if he didn't work there! A BIG MISTAKE, next time I'll hire from one of the larger international companies!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I rented a car from Advantage in Las Vegas. I was sent an Email saying it would be $273.00 including taxes and fees. When I returned home I received an email that said they charged me $481.11. I called customer service, they said it was for road side assistance ans insurance. I told them I never asked for road side assistance and when asked about insurance, I told them, I already had insurance and didn't want it. Customer service said they would take off the road side and 50% off the insurance. I said, no, I'm not paying for something I didn't approve of. They said they would file a claim. After reading many reviews, it sounds like they don't get back to you. I'm not letting this go. It sounds like they screw people all the time. I plan on writing corporate. This is theft and fraud.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

We rented from this company and took off on 10/17 without knowing potential charge for pet hair. As we returned the vehicle on 10/22 at 7:10pm, We were told that there will be a $350 for dog hair in the car. So we agree to clean the car ourselves before 8pm when the rental window closes. After we cleaned the car, the inspector was still "unsatisfied" and the agent walked into the back room without saying anything as if she no longer wanted to speak to us. We were confused with the attitude and did not get a final invoice information. So we walked outside to find the agent and tried to get a final word. The female manager and inspector were hanging out in the back area when we found them and refused to let us clean the vehicle while we still had time. Another agent then started taking off his jacket as we tried to reason with them. And he threatened to beat us if we do not leave. We were forced to leave without an invoice of charges.

Until now, we are still trying to reach the company as all oversea reps can only report cases instead of providing any solution to us. We finally obtained an invoice after reaching to Expedia, which was their partner we booked through. The invoice includes a cleaning fee of $85, duplicated concession fee and duplicated state and rental taxes.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I have rented cars for 35 years and this company is pathetic to say the least!!!! From the airport pickup to counter and return it was just terrible!!! The car smelled like death and it was just filthy! The windshield was cracked and the tire pressure light came on everyday and I had to fill the tire in the back with air everyday! I rented in Denver and drove it to Colorado Springs and gave a call to customer service immediately to be told that they could do nothing and I had to drive back to the airport rental to return it! Unfortunately I just had no time to do this and I pretty much was out of luck! So I was stuck with this crap for a week!

To top it off 2 weeks later I got surprised by another bill for a toll charge doubled what the tolls actually were? I was not sure why because I was under the understanding that this was pre paid and a service that was provided... The windshield had a sticker on it up to date paid by the company! Total bull!!! Terrible service, the worst I have ever experienced! I spent hours on the phone with many rude people during my trip to Denver to only get automated apologies by email! No attempt to resolve my issues!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

This was my first time to Colorado, and this car rental agent Chris made me buy E-Z toll card at 9.99 saying there are tolls everywhere and there is no way to pay there, during our 5 days of travel at Colorado, we hardly have to use the toll. Even when we double confirm the requirement of this toll reader, he said, "You will need it." He also made us buy the full tank of gas ahead and did not mention that there will be no refund on any unused gas. We had our tank 3/4th full and there was no refund. Such a bad experience.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I had to go out to San Diego from Missouri on business in a hurry. No time to reserve a car even. I arrived at SAN and quickly had a car from Advantage. The service rep comped me on an upgrade and had me in and out in under 30 minutes. I wish I could remember her name but she was from the Philippines. This was on Tuesday, 15 October 2019. Turning in the car was just as easy that Friday. I would highly recommend this company. Mark, Kansas City, MO

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I prepaid for a vehicle at the Orlando location. When I picked it up, they asked me if I wanted the additional insurance. I declined it and mentioned that my own insurance covers the vehicle. The agent at the counter then asked me to "initial here" that I declined the additional coverage. I later found that it was added to my bill. When I asked for a refund, I was told that I had agreed to it and that they had it on the contract. When I stated I declined it and it was added without my knowledge, I was offered a 50% refund. I demanded 100% and was referred to customer service.

Their Voice of the Customer department contacted me and told me the charges where valid. The agent also lied about their Fuel Program. She stated I would only be charged $2.39 per gallon for whatever fuel need to be added after I returned the vehicle. I was actually charged for a full tank of fuel even though I returned it with almost a full tank. I had to file a complaint with the BBB. Use this company at your own risk and check your invoice before you leave, especially if you prepay.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information