2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.9/5 (1255 ratings)

About Advantage Rent-A-Car

Advantage Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was told the $200 deposit was only a hold and would be released when I returned the car. What really happened is they took the money out of my account. When I called they said they didn't take it out of my account, and then said I would get it back in 3 to 10 days, still denying they took it. Very shady! Go with someone else! Don't rent from Advantage!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I rented a car from them via Hotwire. When picking up the car, I told them I did NOT want the extra insurance. I had already declined it on the hotwire site. I signed and initialed on a keypad and trusted I was waiving the insurance. The printed bill even uses the word "waiver". Shame on me for not reviewing the paperwork more closely. Had a charge on my credit card several days later and they will do nothing to reimburse me. Learned a lesson. Will never rent from them again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

This was my first time renting a car & it was HORRIBLE!!! When I arrived to Advantage Rent-A-Car in Denver, CO they pretty much forced me to upgrade stating that I couldn’t get the Kia that I originally had an online quote for $136 because it had to be a 4wd!! They upgraded me & with all the extra charges. It was $424 total. When the guy at the counter asked me what time I would be returning the car I told him 11:30am because my flight was at 1:45pm. For some reason he put 10:30am & they charged me for an extra day because I returned the car at 11:33am!!!! I got the car at 9:31am so technically I was 2 mins late. Apparently, advantage has a grace period of an hour so if the guy at the counter would’ve put my original time being 11:30am I would’ve had until 12:30pm. So from being 2 minutes “late” I was charged an extra $160 something!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I should have read other people's reviews before purchasing from Advantage. It would have saved me $177. My review is similar to many others where I'm more confident that this is how Advantage Rent A Car scams people. I got to the front desk where Jose ** was our preparer. He asked if I wanted the "Collision Damage Waiver/CDW". I stated "no". He asked again as we checked out, I again repeated "no". I go to sign it and when I returned the car got an email charge of $177 because Jose ** put down "yes" for the CDW. I then called to get a refund on the CDW that I stated I did NOT want and customer service stated the account was closed but that I could get a 25% off my next purchase. Hard pass!! If you see anything that says "Advantage Rent A Car" run as far as you can! Two lessons, sit there and re-read everything (I was bamboozled because Jose ** stated the amount was higher than usual because of fees but that they would be waived when the car was returned, so I didn't think twice) and secondly, NEVER PURCHASE FROM ADVANTAGE RENT A CAR!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I travel frequently and rent cars I have never had a bad experience, until a trip to Maui to visit my daughter and grandsons. The problems started upon my arrival to rent car. The employee was not friendly and continually tried to upsell. Every time I said no he became more and more frustrated with me. It was an exhausting experience to get a car. I had already reserved and just wanted to pick up and get on my way. After my trip I received my credit card statement and I was overcharged.

I called and I was told I was supposed to turn car in at 9:00am but did not turn car in until 7:00pm. I told them that is impossible because I was already on a flight home. I was then told I needed to send proof so I was given a email address to send proof. I sent requested information and never got a response. I called back and was told I sent to wrong email address. There is more to my bad experience, but I will not use this car rental service again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Rented from Advantage in Orlando FL, January 2020. The car we got was only about 3/4 full, which I didn't notice until we had already left the airport. Further, one of the tires apparently had a slow leak and needed air in it more than once. After returning, we noticed our final invoice had a "refueling charge" of $6, i.e. 2/3 of a gallon. I called customer service to explain that the car was not filled up when we got it, and had a defective tire as well, and was told in polite terms to buzz off. This is not exactly a major horror story, and the amount involved is pretty trivial, but car rental is a competitive business and a company that deals with its customers in a sloppy manner like this does not need to be patronized. I certainly won't.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Advantage Rental Car in Los Angeles/LAX, agent Tiffani, required me to purchase insurance, even though I'm privately insured and told her that I would assume the risk. She told me that it was required to rent the car. I paid for insurance. She lied. It was not required. I could not get it refunded. Never again will I rent from this company with dishonest practices. Spread the word. They're terrible.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Hi I had already prebooked and prepaid via Priceline for the 6 passenger car reservation in Advantage. However in the Advantage counter I was told that they do not have any car in their stock and they cannot help in arranging any. I had a very tough time in searching other rental car. I have decided never to rent car from Advantage.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Rented a Camry from Denver. I wish I had read the reviews of Advantage car rental. The Agent wouldn't allow me to take the car I had rented because of road conditions. They trap you because a shuttle takes you away from the airport. I'm sorry but I have been driving 42 years in the Midwest and I think I can drive. I had a $225.00 upcharge and no way out. I tend to trust people but don't be fooled by this outfit. Very poor customer service with agents that are rude and trained to pressure you. Never again!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I recently rented a sedan at Denver airport through Priceline. When we got to the counter to pick up the car, we were told the sedan was not "traction compliant" with Denver's laws since it was December. The clerk "found" an SUV, with an upcharge of $333. The Santa Fe rents on their website for 57.88/day. They had us backed in to a corner, and we basically had to agree. I contacted customer service to complain about the up charge, and received a rude and argumentative response. I have never experienced such bad customer service. After she argued with me for several minutes, she agreed to file a case. I was told I would get a response in 48 hrs. It has been a week, with no response, even by email. This is a disreputable company, and would I advise anyone to avoid renting from them, no matter how good the price.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information