2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.9/5 (1256 ratings)

About Advantage Rent-A-Car

Advantage Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: April 18, 2021

I reserved the rental car on Expedia. The price once I got there was about $80 difference but I was ok with the hidden fees. I was talked into prepaying the gas by the rental agent. I told him that I wouldn’t be driving the car that much. He told me that I would be reimbursed for gas that I do not use. I paid for a full tank of gas. I have attached a copy of the return receipt. I was charged $42 for a full tank of gas and returned the vehicle with a full tank of gas. They refunded me $4.42. I called customer service and was told there was nothing that could be done because they are not aware of any policy of refunding the cost of unused gas.

They told me they would have a manager from the Orlando location reach out to me. The rep told me that to get me off of the phone. I never received a call. I was charged $38 for gas that I never used. This company is a scam that will tell you what is needed to get you to spend more money. I would never use their services again and do not recommend them. Go with a Enterprise or Budget. They are more transparent. You can also speak with the actual location when you call.

Original review: April 16, 2021

A minute ago. NEW. Really poor/bad service. I've never seen such a bad quality of service. I rented a car at the Miami international Airport. I booked a full size car, but the staff said Nissan versed is the same value as Toyota Camry. I went down level to get a car. There was no staff that helped you to find a car. I finally found the car that had many damages! I went back up and requested a different car! That was so unfair for me. I paid the full size car! They were saying there is no car left! Then, why did they confirm the reservation!! I waited and waited for Toyota. It took over an hour to leave the site! The staff was unprofessional. They charged me almost $350 and $450 that wasn't under my responsibility! Once I found that, I called them several times. No Answers!! I was so worried!! They need to improve better customer service! That experience ruined my day!!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Hello Advantage Rent-A-Car:

I was a customer of yours picking up a car (Nissan Versa) at Nashville Airport on 3-30-2021 and returning it on 4-1-2021. During my rental period, I received a text message, informing me that I had ben outside your rental area and that I was to call to correct the situation. I did indeed call after I had received the text message and basically was lectured by the representative that I signed a contract that stated I could not take the car beyond Kentucky (I was 7 miles past the Kentucky border). I told the agent where I was and that I would not move the car until my departure the next day. The text message indicated that I had the opportunity to rectify the issues, and I had assumed that my call was indeed rectification. The rep told me that Wayne was not in but I should speak to him when I returned.

Upon return to the airport, I asked for Wayne, but was only allowed to speak to him by phone. He lectured me again, and then offered to reduce the fee to $500. I told him that was not acceptable but I offered to pay an additional day rental. In response, Wayne re-upped the fee to $1,000. Furthermore and to add injury to insult, I received a bill that included concession fees and state taxes that incorporated the $1,000 fee, meaning the 11.11% concession fee and the 9.25% state tax were applied to the $1,000 fee. Interestingly, the $1,000 fee did not show up on the bill that was e-mailed to me.

I referenced the start of this note that I was a customer. I do not believe I ever was a customer of yours but rather a shakedown target. I spent good money with you as a customer and was treated with no service, respect and instead swindled out of a $1,000 which actually according to my calculations on the bill amounted to a $1,010 -- I added all the charges up and was left with $1,010 unaccounted for on my bill. I eagerly await your response. Thank you, Ben

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I am submitting a copy of the review I sent to them. I originally booked an UPGRADED standard car for 4 days. After I was told I would need to put down a $250 deposit, I had to change to renting the car only ONE day. First of all, this was all done through Veteran's Advantage so originally I received a lower price. When the rental was changed to one day, not only did the rep charge me $65 for a one-day rental of an ECONOMY sized car (she said there was no standard car in the inventory only economy although I told her I had upgraded online to a standard car), she never used my original Veteran's Advantage price and just charged me what I KNOW was not Advantage's price for an ECONOMY - sized car.

I was so frustrated especially after having to ask her to please save her constant texting until my transaction time was completed-(she said her texts were related to my transaction which I know was not true considering there was only ONE car in the lot that fit her $65 idea of an ECONOMY car) that I no strength to argue with her already pissy attitude. I was so tired after a 7-hr flight from California to Florida I just decided to pay the price, get out of there, and NEVER rent nor refer BUT DEFINITELY will advise anyone and everyone to NEVER rent from Advantage Rent a Car. Not to mention I was still charged a deposit of $45 for the toll pass even though I changed my rental to ONE DAY. And did I get a refund??? RIIIGHT. Now I am just wondering on my chances of receiving my $250 deposit back, or will I have to go through the Consumer Protection Agency, the Better Business Bureau, AND/OR Small Claims Court to get it?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I would give them no stars if I could. BE AWARE DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!!! To start when we picked up the car, the rep told us we could return it by 5:30 PM the day it was suppose to be returned, our plane didn't leave until 8:00 PM. As advertised $19 dollars a day, for 5 days total was suppose to be $127. Our Grand total ended up being $244.00.

We had to pay $50 for the sun pass which we used twice, that was a rip off. The windows of the car were covered with a sticky film, and we didn't notice it until we got into the sunlight out of the parking garage. Complained about that we were told the windows were tinted before we rented it and they had to scrape if off with a razor blade??!! Who does that? And what company would rent a car with the window looking like that?? We didn't drive it much so dealt with it. The car was scratched up, not clean.

The day we were to bring it back they called about a late return and left a message, The lady was so completely rude when I finally got ahold of her after many attempts, I tried to explain to her we were told we could bring it back at 5:30, but failed to get it in writing. Horrible customer service. We had the car back at 5:20. Were told if we would have gotten there 15 minutes earlier we wouldn't have been charged for an additional day, the rep that "promised that" to us had just left. SHADY BUSINESS. STAY AWAY!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Rude customer service from the start, I should have walked away then. Nobody was at counter so had to wait for 15 minutes. Picked up car and left. Car was fine, upon returning vehicle I waited for over a half hour because attendant was working three different companies. He checked car - said everything was fine. When I requested a receipt, he said the machine was broke and he would email it. About an hour later I received the email. I was charged a late fee and a smoking fee when I was neither late nor a smoker. That explains the broken receipt machine nonsense. This place is a scam and I would suggest never to use them.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Advantage car rental is very dishonest and misleading company. I would never ever use them again. I was charged for highway pass that I did not use or want and was told when I rented the car that I would not be charged if I do not use it, and I did not use it and was still charged. They also tell customers about the gas usage and charge you for the gas. I tried calling customer service and they were no help.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I rented an economy size vehicle during a stay in New York in January of 2020. My only purpose for the car was to get to NY to Newark airport in NJ - next day drop off. Upon dropping the car off the assistant double charged my CC and informed me that she rectified the charge. However, upon my return back to Texas, I’d noticed that the charge had not been removed. I followed the appropriate steps for a (1) call to the company and (2) submitting a dispute to my Cc company. The customer service center for Advantage was unhelpful and almost insinuated that I was wrong, although I had all documentation in front of me. My CC company disputed and I was reimbursed, finally, in March. It is now May and they are trying to collect the money from me all over again. I rent with other companies regularly for work and have never experienced anything like this. I’m highly disappointed!

Original review: March 29, 2020

As part of a timeshare from Tahiti Village we received a free 3 day car rental from Advantage Car Rental. We were told by both Tahiti Village and Advantage that there would be no additional charges to us. When we arrived to pick up the car, the lady at the counter of Advantage asked us if my husband wanted to drive as well. She did not mention that there would be any additional charges. She then proceeded to tell me they needed my credit card in case of any damage. She then asked us to sign an electronic pad, without showing us the contract. I asked to see the contract, but she said that it will be printed after we signed. It wasn't until we returned the car that we noticed that they charged us for my husband and he didn't even drive. They were deceitful in their dealings. Stay away from ADVANTAGE!

Original review: March 16, 2020

My experience with Advantage was fine until I realized they charged me for collision insurance I specifically asked to waive, which is frighteningly common for this company. When I originally called the customer service department, they gave me the runaround telling me the corporate office reviewed my case and denied the request... Then after some pushing they said corporate approved a 20% refund... All lies to get you to pay extra! Finally I called a different customer service number and got an extremely helpful gentleman named Sebastian to waive the fee for me almost right away (no corporate review needed... Interesting!) Thank you so much Sebastian for reviewing my case and for giving me the assistance I needed. Advice to new car renters - double check EVERYTHING and beware of scams!

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information