1.14/5
Based on 127 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

666 Advantage Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

They overcharged my debit card by $1,100.00 for a car that I rented and only drove 42 miles. Still in dispute with me. Customer service is horrible, terrible, unacceptable, will NEVER rent again from this company and telling others the same.

Original review: June 18, 2018

In theory, you feel you make a reservation, show up to the counter, sign contract, get keys & go... NOT WITH ADVANTAGE. Waited in line for 1 hour and 42 minutes because they didn't have cars for their reservations... UUuuuhhhggg. Phoenix, AZ line out the door. Settled for a mid size suv that had faulty brakes. Super poor customer service. Out of all the car rental companies in the building (11 of them) Advantage was the only one with a line!!! Never again.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

TERRIBLE!!! GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! You will be glad you did! We rented a Sienna van in Denver for a long weekend. It wasn't vacuumed and required us to shake out the floor mats and clean crumbs from the seats. The upholstery was dirty and stained. To make matters worse, the next day after the vehicle having been parked in hot weather, it smelled like foul smelling shoes, vomit with a hint of vinegar. I tried calling for a discount assuming this is not the type of rental experience they expect. Total silence on the other end of the line - no apology, no attempt to correct it, no offer for a credit or discount. When pressed, they told me they can't do anything for me.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I rented a small SUV and got to the rental place and the attendant (while very nice) switched me to a larger SUV. It was fine at first, but in all the hubbub of activity, flying a red eye flight, no sleep, a line and wanting to get out to my destination, I felt rushed. Lorenzo explained there was a $200 authorization fee that would drop off the card (okay, I work in the industry and understand, great). I told him I needed supplemental, simple, daily insurance coverage as I didn't add it online. I remember seeing $15 a day or something. He added it, hurried through the paperwork and I signed it (thinking at least $200 was dropping off for an authorization). I spent the week finding trash in the car daily (it also smelled super musty when we got in) - we found a dirty coffee cup, gloves, ear plugs (like construction workers use), trash in the cup holders and door handles, and otherwise were super disappointed.

I came to return and the car started making an awful noise, which did eventually stop, but was worrisome. I asked the attendant when I returned if I should talk to a manager about the outrageous insurance that was DOUBLE the cost of the rental and the dirty car and he said they would tell the manager and to not worry about going inside. (Obviously I should have). I have now been calling for WEEKS, talked to customer service several times and had to re-open my ticket number because Denver responds to the main customer service line and then shuts down my ticket. I repeatedly had to bother customer service for the Denver contact information which they did give, but the voicemail was full. I kept calling and finally the Denver manager (Bryan) called me back. He listened, dismissed my issue with the insurance, and said he would refund $60 for the roadside assistance that I never asked for.

Never mind the $200+ collision insurance that was more than the car and that I NEVER asked for. I understand the coverage was in place for the duration of the rental, but I also know something can be done about it. Make the situation right. Take care of your customer and they turn into a lifelong customer. Dismiss their issues and make them feel like it is their fault, even though they felt rushed, confused and now frustrated at the lack of response, and you ruin them for the future. I would like this situation to be resolved and the bill to be discussed again. It is absolutely ridiculous to treat a customer this way.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We booked our car weeks before leaving on our trip to Denver International Airport. Our initial payment was $438.64, and included taxes and fees. Upon arrival, the salesperson at the desk recommended a car upgrade since we will be driving in mountains, which was fine. The upgrade added $61.10 to our bill. Then, the man asked whether we wanted full or partial coverage for the car (never mentioned that this coverage was optional). So, we said partial, and he added Collision Damage and Supplemental Liability, which added another $209.90. Also, he claimed that we would be running into many tolls on our trip, and sold us the E-Z Toll pass for $10 a day. However, we are not aware that we even passed through any tolls, so there goes another $49.95 on our bill.

Interesting enough, we ran into a couple on our trip, that used the same company. They paid $254, only had to put down a deposit, and got a free car upgrade and were told they did not need to carry any coverage on the car they rented. While I understand we are under 25, this only added $124.95. So, our bill should have been the $438.64 we paid online, however, our new total at the rental store came out to $827.47 which is absolutely crazy and we felt scammed. Something we are also not understanding is how the taxes and fees almost tripled as well. We already paid taxes and fees at the time of booking online.

On another note, the "inspection" process was even more shady. The man at the counter said to bypass the inspection at the gate because we were "fully covered" which is not what we chose. We got to our rental car, and noticed right away that the maintenance required light was on. We drove it to the inspection guy to ask about the light, and he had no idea why it was on, and sent us to the "mechanics" in the back of the lot. The man in the back looked and saw that the car has not had an oil change, but decided to just turn the light off and send us on our way. So, we drove it back to the guy at the front, and asked him to write down that the light was turned off, and he told us to do it and never signed the inspection paper.

Also, they did not walk around the car or note any existing scratches or dents. This was concerning on our drop-off because we noticed that when we brought the car back, men were inspection rentals that were departing. Overall, I feel as though we were completely scammed, and that all this company wanted was our money. We will never use this company again, and will make sure other will not either. If I would have known it was going to be over $800, I certainly would have never chosen this company. This car was more expensive than a round-trip flight for 2.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: June 6, 2018

My experience with this company is going to contradict several of the reviews I have come across on this site. I rented a car at the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. Immediately, I was greeted with excellent and expeditious customer service. I was provided with a full size 2018 Kia Optima. (White in color - which was a nice touch considering the heat in Arizona!) Unlimited miles. The vehicle was in pristine condition, low mileage, and smelled like it was just driven off the lot. It was examined by staff prior to my departure and I had a full tank of gas.

Returning the vehicle was an equally speedy and painless experience, and after checking off the level of gas, and condition of vehicle, I signed a paper acknowledging the terms of the contract. I received my deposit of $200 in less than 24 hours without incident. All I can say is review the contract terms, be confident in what it is you are looking for with your rental experience, and voice that. I would like to commend Tara for a job well done. We will be repeating our business with Advantage Rent-A-Car again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I began receiving emails over the weekend thanking me for my rentals in Denver, CO. More than one rental. I don't live there and wasn't visiting there. I did not rent any cars in Denver. But the rentals were in my name, using all of my personal information. When I called to report this, customer service said they cannot help me. I have to contact the "risk department". Which I did. And NO ONE WILL CALL ME BACK. Their lack of response to a crime being committed is very frustrating. I have since reported this to the credit bureau and filed a police report. But Advantage still has zero response to my daily calls and emails. TERRIBLE customer service. I rented from them one-time last year on a work trip in Florida. So my info was in their system. If you rent from Advantage, good luck. Apparently your information is not protected, and they will not help you if you have a problem.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Sales associate was very rude, unprofessional, very pushy, rewrote contact incorrectly, overcharged me at less 100.00 compared to other car service and rates after I had shopped and got pricing and compared through pricecar.com. which is whom they ask me to use when I call directly to Advantage Rent-A-Car service at Orlando/Sanford Airport Florida. I also missed my boarding time because of the unprofessional sale associate that was supposedly correcting her mistake. Yes all of this was brought to a supervisor attention gave her prices times dates reference numbers of booking and confirmation information. All of which were disregarded by the supervisor. The supervisor brought it to our attention that she was friends with the unprofessional sale associate.

Original review: June 1, 2018

This is the worst car rental company I have ever rented from. We rented a car for a long weekend in Denver, and the agent we worked with told us he would put us in a larger car for just a few dollars as a favor to us. We were really excited and really appreciative. When we got in the car the tank of gas was empty, but they’d told us at the counter that we didn’t have to fill it up when we returned it.

When we returned the car, they ended up charging us an extra $45 a day for the “free” upgrade, and then charged us $8.99 a gallon because we didn’t return it with a full tank of gas. Even though we’d received the car with an empty tank and they TOLD us not to fill it. So it seems they are charging customers for the gas ($8.99!) but then not actually even filling the tanks.

In short, it seems you can’t trust anything they tell you. They are going to charge you a lot for every little thing, even if they explicitly tell you they won’t. When we called customer service they were dismissive and condescending. They also have a message constantly playing trying to get you off the phone and just email them. They do not seem interested at all in customer service, and so if you have any problems with your rental, expect to be dismissed.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We booked our rental reservation through Priceline and included with our purchase was unlimited mileage. When picking up our rental we were informed we had to pay an unlimited mileage package at $20/day. We would never had rented from this company if we had been informed in advance that unlimited mileage didn’t actually mean unlimited because we lived locally. When we informed customer service that we did not have this info provided to us in writing they refused to refund our charges. Dealing with this company from beginning to end has been a horrible experience. Even the condition of the car we received was disgusting. It had been smoked in, as it still had cigarette ashes in the car, and still had trash in it from the last user. This company offered us nothing but long waits, terrible customer service, and hidden underhanded charges. I will never use this company again and cannot and will not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I think this car company is named appropriately! They like to take advantage of young adults who have never rented a car! I sent my daughter on a graduation trip and she rented a car from Denver airport. The young lady who rented the car to her told her she had to have a 6 cylinder car to drive in RMNP. Even though my daughter brought her proof of insurance in which she is covered for rental cars that "customer Representative" told her she had to have their insurance. She ended up putting $700 on a 5 day rental on to her credit card. Do you know how long that will take a college student to pay off!!! Silly me I forgot to tell her they work on commission and they would try to take "advantage" of her. Shame on them!!!

Original review: May 27, 2018

If you can avoid Advantage Rent-A-Car, by all means do it! I’ve had such terrible experiences with this company that I would never ever again rent a vehicle from them. I rented a vehicle yesterday on HotWire and found a cheap rate [$38.00 for 24 hours] from Advantage Rent-A-Car. I had to pay with my credit card immediately to obtain this low rate. I read the fine print. Saw that I had “unlimited mileage”. I had no reason to believe otherwise. I returned the vehicle this morning and was informed that I went over the mileage limit of 250 miles, therefore I was going to be charged an additional $30 for going over by about 30 miles. I was stunned as I had assumed no that I had unlimited miles (per terms and conditions listed on website when I booked the vehicle).

The Advantage agent informed me that if I were to have read the “local terms and conditions” I would have seen that I was allocated only 250 miles and did not have unlimited miles as I assumed. I explained to the agent that nowhere in the terms and conditions did it mention that I had only 250 miles allocated to me. The agent insisted that I should have located the exact terms and conditions and read them. I, again, explained to the agent that nowhere is this written anywhere in the T/C nor the contract. His reasoning for allowing me only 250 miles is because I reside in the same city where I rented the vehicle! This doesn’t make sense to me!

Anyhow, I had to call his supervisor to make sure they didn’t charge me the extra $30. I, also, discovered that I was being billed an additional $125.00 (refueling charges) although I returned vehicle with a full tank of fuel! By this time, I was beyond furious. I had to call the main Advantage Rent-A-Car to file a complaint and to get this additional refueling charge removed! It took me all day today to get the charges of $30 (extra mileage) fee and $135 (refueling fee) removed! It was a nightmare! Advantage sure does take ADVANTAGE of its customers!! Needless to say. Never again will I give them my business!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Pre-paid for gas with rental car with the understanding from the customer service representative that I would be charged for the gas used not the entire tank. This was also based of my experience with other rental car companies who charge only for what you drive. I was charged for the entire tank unexpectedly when knowing I was going on a short mileage trip. Talked with customer service and told them that I would of simply filled up before dropping off the car rather than pay for the entire tank. Ended up paying over $15 per gallon for the short trip. Company was unwilling to reimburse because they don't have a soul. Makes sense now why they have such poor ratings.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Believe all the bad posts and steer clear. If I could give a zero I would. I accidentally found numerous articles about the fraud problem by googling "who is in charge of rental cars in FL". Believe the posts! The desk clerk was a complete dishonest shyster. Told us we had to have the extra insurance even though I knew my insurance covered everything. We felt as though we didn't have a choice because no one else was open that early and he said it was FL only thing. (There was another company but it was reservations only due to early AM). So we rent this car and while inspecting it I notice damage to the other cars around us. I tell my husband I'm not getting a good feeling. We are given a car and didn't really drive it much till the next day. Ha... it starts raining and I go to leave the hotel and can't even make it over a little hump. The tires have no traction.

Hubby gets out and what do you know... no tread! Front wheel drive car and completely BALD tires. SO know I'm trying to reach the staff because we need a safe car and I need the insurance removed because my insurance co. confirmed I had the correct insurance. We chased these people and got nowhere. They also didn't take the insurance off like requested. Ended up not driving the car because it rained the whole time. I get home and call my credit card company and this is where it gets interesting. The toll stuff... all true! They leave the transponder on to track you... it doesn’t matter if you pay. They send fake invoices. When I figured this out from online reviews (the rep at drop off made a broken English comment about the transponder that didn't sit well with me) I notified my CC immediately about everything.

My rep from the credit card company had to keep reminding the rep we were speaking to from the car rental place that she was being recorded. Thank God my CC did this. I kept asking why so many people are getting charges that no one can explain. Oh boy we got a doozy of an explanation. MY CC card rep was speechless when the rental car rep hung up. She says to me "It's all recorded". "I can't believe what I just heard. You were right". I did get a call back from another rep in Orlando and all I got was "well that is your opinion". NO the car tires were bald and I found out they put the car back on the road because they said there was not an issue. I lost it! I was like, "Are you kidding me right now. You could kill someone!" Also she denied me calling in and asked why we didn't discuss any of this with their reps when we dropped the car off. I'm like, "Excuse me. We did. That's why the lady took chalk and wrote on the car."

But they also acted like they didn't speak English. So I get my final bill and want an explanation. Right. The reps just stared at me and shook their heads implying they don't understand. Anyways, have my CC company filing a fraud claim. Unbelievable all around! I did some research and apparently this is an ongoing issue. Wow! Time for some emails to be going out to some officials. Don't be fooled if you don't see Advantage's name in the news articles or legal settlements. These guys operate under various names and parent companies.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had not heard of Advantage Rent A Car before but the deal I found online was the best one, so I thought I would give it a shot. Boy do I regret that. We rented the car for our trip to Las Vegas. We were flying in from Canada and staying for 8 days. The trouble started when we arrived at the car rental agency. In Vegas all the rental agencies are located in a building a short trip from the airport. You can take a shuttle there. Well when we got there all the other agencies were running smoothly and quickly. But not Advantage. There was a huge line and it was barely moving. After an hour of waiting in line with my infant daughter and husband we finally made it to the front.

Only to find out that the car size we wanted would not work? And we were informed we needed to upgrade? I was not happy about this and indicated so but they said they could not let us fit in a smaller car and that they would be happy to upgrade us with the special offer of only $10 more a day. Well I had already paid $184.50 for the car and knew I was to pay an additional fee of $109.28 Canadian when picking up the car. I was furious but didn't know what other choice I had at the time as we were all exhausted and I had already paid a fee when booking. Well after the upgrade I had to pay an additional $322.09 Canadian. My total for a 8 day rental (they charged me for 8 days even though I had it back to the garage by 9 am on the 8th day and didn't get the rental until almost 4 on the first day), was $431.37.

That is $53.92 a day in Canadian, which is around $41.78 per day US. The rental car was a Toyota Camry. Stay away from this place. You can easily find something much cheaper and with much better service. They put a family in a very hard position and I know for a fact we were not the only ones as there was a family beside us going through the same thing. My heart went out to them as I could tell they could not afford the extra expense any more than we could. They will rip you off when they know you don't have any options and are too exhausted to figure something else out. Note this rate does not include any of the insurance protection. It was for just the rental alone.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Rented a car in March 2018 at DCA to drive to an event in Herndon, Virginia. I was offered an optional toll plan for $20, but declined. I told the clerk that I would only be using the Dulles Toll Rd for one day, that I would pay my tolls in cash. He agreed that it was not necessary. Little did I know, nor was I informed that declining the service triggered special provisions in the contract, that I agreed to NOT use any automated, manned or unmanned toll roads in the area or be subject to those tolls, plus admin fees of up to $100 per day! I paid my tolls in cash only to find a $53.50 charge being billed to my credit card a month later. After hours on the phone calling Advantage customer care, VADOT and EzPass in VA, I found out (from a lady at EzPass) that a transponder will be read and charged for tolls, even if you pay them in cash, UNLESS IT IS WRAPPED IN TIN FOIL!

Advantage has charged me 2 tolls, even though I paid them of $1.00 and $3.50. Then for each toll, there is a $25 admin fee, so total of $53.50. They refuse to reverse any part of these charges and referred me back to my signed contract that allows them to gouge me. I was not informed by the rental clerk of the ramifications of not opting into the extra $20 toll transponder service, nor to wrap it in tin foil if I was going to pay my own tolls, even after I informed him at the counter that I would be using the toll roads, but paying cash as I went.

This is obviously a scam that Advantage will gladly exercise on any of its unwitting customers to gouge it customers for probably hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. I would advise anyone seeking a reasonable car rental to steer clear and RUN from Advantage. A seemingly good deal will end up costing more in the long run! FINAL NOTE - Luckily I checked over the vehicle for damage. There was a big scratch on the bumper and I made them note it. If not, I'm sure they would have tried to charge me for damage!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I am used to the wait time and the car and service were good. HOWEVER, we noticed we left our home remote control in the rental car and called the next morning. The rental car was in Ft. Myers. They give a toll free number to call and the person said we would have to wait 48 hours to learn anything. So, 48 hours goes by, I called, it was a Sunday. Then the person said I had to call on weekday. So, I called on the weekday and even though I had a "ticket" number for my lost they said it couldn't be found. I requested to speak to the agency on location directly and the person said they didn't have their number!!! I was incredulous and ask, "You mean you are Advantage Rental Car Agency and you don't have any way of contacting your companies???" I was then put on hold for a great length of time and finally had to hang up!!!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Fraudulent Rental Agreement at Denver International Airport: The entire experience was a nightmare -- started with a 30 min wait for the shuttle; next was an attendant that purposely wrote-up a fraudulent agreement with the incorrect return date so I would be charged for an extra day at twice the daily rate; when I asked why the open amount on my card was so much higher than expected, he said a deposit of $200 was required and that it would be refunded upon returning the vehicle -- the deposit was never charged and in retrospect it was clear this was done to allow the various overcharges; same attendant lied to my face stating that I needed to initial the agreement to DECLINE insurance as I had requested, when in fact the agreement stated that by initialing, I was ACCEPTING insurance.

Further, the attendant made no mention whatsoever of EZTOL (the electronic toll system in the Denver area) or that I was declining the EZTOL service and that by doing so I would incur a daily "administrative" charge of $25 for toll violations. Next, when I left the rental building to get the vehicle there was an angry, confrontational lot attendant that refused to initial a vehicle inspection. Lastly, upon returning the vehicle, the attendant didn't give me a receipt saying his machine was out of paper. Totally unacceptable business practices. Will never use Advantage again.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have traveled a good amount in my 55 years and rented numerous cars. This is the 1st time I have felt compelled to share a negative experience- in fact I can't think of a single rental prior that was negative. Here's the list of what was wrong: Stand in line for 1 hour ++ to get to counter. Rental Record Agreement conveniently omits the year of car reserved and the agent conveniently fails to mention the year of car reserved. Rental Kiosk employees (where customers actually pick up their rental) tell customer to go check out the vehicle visually and report any damage on a carbon form they find but the employee remains at the Kiosk and does not verify any defects in the car.

Our reserved car was a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (with 39056 miles, a reported and noticeable: dent in the hood, chipping and fading paint on the trunk and numerous stains on the interior seats and carpeting. The A/C was intermittent warm or cool for the entire 2+ day rental in Phoenix (May 7-9,2018) in 102°F-108°F temps. On the morning of our rental return I had to put air in a low tire (left rear was 26 psi). Customer service number on the Rental Record is merely a "call center" where they log your complaint and tell you a manager at the rental location will return your call which never happens. When you return the car at the Rental Kiosk you are given a phone number to supposedly talk to a manager at the Advantage Car Rental office at Phoenix Airport but really the number is a corporate number that no one answers and there is no voicemail capability.

If you go back upstairs to the Advantage Rental Car Counter you have to wait in line again 1 HOUR ++. The agent at the counter confides in you that yes ADVANTAGE RENT A CAR saves money by holding onto and renting OLDER CARS WITH HIGH MILEAGE. Maintenance and service of their vehicles is insufficient. I believe our rental was in need of a A/C recharge which would explain the intermittent warm/cool A/C but never COLD. I also believe that some of the AGENTS, KIOSK EMPLOYEES, AND CORPORATE EMPLOYEES knowingly are renting some vehicles that are older with high mileage that may or may not have defects and may or may not have been adequately maintained and serviced before put back in service for rental.

I will definitely remember this bad experience and tell everyone in my circle of influence to steer clear (pun intended) of doing business with ADVANTAGE RENT A CAR, FOX RENT A CAR, EZ RENT A CAR or any other name this pathetically managed and operated business chooses to call itself. By the way, I went on the Advantage Rent a Car website and typed in a complaint and hit send and I got an immediate message on the screen "Unable to Send Message, Try Again Later"---what a joke. Their entire corporate model/business plan appears to be to offer no real customer service or avenue of discourse about their poor service.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have rented from multiple rental agencies with very positive results. Advantage was the rental from hell. I arrived to Phoenix at 10:00 pm. I waited in line for over an hour. The rental agent was rude. He insulted me for reserving an economy car, stating "Why would you ever rent that?". He then reported they did not have any economy or compact cars. He tried to give me a minivan even though I was traveling by myself with one carry on bag. I told him I was going to contact another rental company.

Miraculously an economy car suddenly became available. He also told me an economy car would not make the 2 hour journey from Phoenix to Sedona. I knew this to be false as I grew up near Sedona and drove a Ford Fiesta. He then said it's different when you own the car. I then had to stand in another line upon entering the garage to get the keys and paperwork.

Upon returning the car, the employee sent me to the desk in the garage for check out. There was a line of 10 people to get a receipt. Finally the man that received my car told me he would email my receipt so that I could get to my flight. He emailed me my receipt, but had charged me over $150.00 in fuel charges, even though I returned the car with a full gas tank. My total charges were suppose to be $60.00 and instead were over $200.00. I am currently disputing the charge with my credit card company. Never rent from this company. Do not be fooled by their low prices. They are dishonest. I would happily pay $100.00 more to rent from any other rental company. Advantage is a true Disadvantage!

Original review: May 12, 2018

The counter attendant was as helpful as she could be given the circumstances (e.g., only one car available, car cleaner had not gotten to work yet). When we arrived to the airport, we were waiting at the common rental car shuttle area before we were told we had to go to a different area and look for a WallyPark shuttle. This information was not listed anywhere in our reservation. After waiting a long time for the shuttle, at least 25 additional minutes in the new location, we were dropped off at a small lot with a trailer. The trailer housed the small customer service counter. The customer service representative was very professional. We reserved an economy rental car for the weekend, but were told the only "clean" car available was a minivan.

We were offered the opportunity to wait for a different car, but it needed to be cleaned. The person responsible for cleaning the cars had not arrived to work as scheduled. The customer service representative was not sure when he'd arrive, so this left us feeling as if our only option was to take the minivan. The minivan was not clean inside or out. There was even trash left in the driver side passenger door clearly visible from the passenger side front seat (fast food cup w/straw and food wrapper). The interior was also not wiped down nor vacuumed. Upon returning the car, directions were not clear as to how to return the car. We spent at least 15 minutes figuring out we needed to get an entrance ticket to WallyPark, park the car near the trailer and give the key to the WallyPark shuttle driver. It was a mess!!! We will never rent from Advantage again, NEVER!!!

In summary: 1. Clear instructions available on where to catch "WallyPark" Shuttle (shuttle pickup was not in common rental car shuttle pickup area). 2. Having the car we reserved available. 3. Having clean cars available (car had visible trash and had not been vacuumed/wiped down, exterior also filthy). 4. Clear instructions on how to return the vehicle (the written instructions we had were unclear).

Original review: May 12, 2018

LONG STORY BUT WORTH READING!!! Maybe this happened because I am from Europe or maybe my English is not so good as I thought. But I rented in mistake a car from Advantage Rent-A-Car and it ended up in the worst experience in my life. Originally I wanted to use some known rental company and have chosen Europcar, but somehow I didn't mention that Europcar do not operate in US and only re-book the car with another company. So in the end the car was booked at Advantage. To book the car (incl. full insurance) and pick it up was no problem. Even the first 14 days of holiday were great. Until the car broke down on the way to Yosemite. It just stop going on and we stranded on road 41 in front of Willow Glen Smoke Shop, 50 km behind Fresno.

Just there I realized (that was my big mistake) that I do not have towing included in the contract (this is of course my failure and I am not sure how that happened). So I asked Advantage for support, after I explained ten times that there is enough fuel and car do not start. They said they will check the possibilities and call back, but they never did. So I acted and after maybe ten phone calls with different people only thing Advantage offered to me was to come to LA or SF: 250 miles away to change the car.

I tried to explain them that the car does not work and towing cost thousands of dollars, but they just repeated that it is no other way to help me! So I decided (with great support of some local guys) to tow the car on my costs to Fresno to Hyundai dealer - for $440. Advantage was also not able to tell me who is covering the costs for repair (even if I had everything insured and the car was new and have cca. 10000 miles) which to be honest I could not follow. But Hyundai was really helpful and discussed everything directly to Advantage. So the car had broken fuel pump and the spare part was available first on the other day. As we already waited over one complete day and paid hotels etc. and Advantage didn't wanted to add to my current contract towing service (only in LA or SF) and I was totally scared of happening this again, I did try to cancel the contract.

After another 25 phone calls explaining that the car is broken and it was not my fault and I do not want to survive this again they promised that I can cancel the contract with no additional costs. How nice to give car back one week sooner without additional costs. Advantage could only offer us that we can pick up another car in LA or SF! I was in the middle of my holiday and why should I come there? Did they understand my situation? So I did go to Enterprise and rent another car - which was OK, but had to pay another 584 USD and we continued our holiday.

After return to LA we did go to Advantage to discuss about additional costs caused by their broken car. In the end I only wanted to have confirmation that the car is OK returned and they will return me the amount for not used car. They could not find the car!!! After half an hour somebody explained where the car was transported from Fresno and I was happy at least for this small success. They promised they will cover my extra costs, and they took me to the back office to speak to some boss as I was really angry about complete behavior and experience behind me and all that crazy communication - maybe 100 phone calls (happy to buy a free of charge card on our holiday).

After return to Europe they charged my account with another $844,97!!! After my claims about additional costs I had with their broken car, wrecked holiday they send me back $749,16. So in the end I have paid $440 for towing, $120 for hotel, $586,56 for another car from Enterprise, and 844,97-749,16 additional charged $95,81 not speaking about the biggest damage to my and my wife and it is psychical damage on holiday. Of course Advantage after many many emails and phone calls was NOT ABLE to explain anything about extra charge, no cost breakdown, nothing in the end. If it was in Europe I would go to a court with Advantage, and this is probably why they are behaving like they do - because I was from Europe!

One positive thing was, that we met on our journey a lot of supporting people as Larry's Towing from Fresno helping to speak with hotline and stating in the end that it is a scam that he never ever before faced! Or a security guy from Willow Glen Smoke Shop, 50 km behind Fresno. RESUME: DO NOT GO TO ADVANTAGE - they can not help you if anything happens with a car!!! Please go to another rental car companies. They have no idea what they do and how they doing it. I do not take it personal, it is not a problem of the people at helpdesk or office, but the policy and the complete management of Advantage.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I am extremely unsatisfied with the experience I have had so far with my rental from last month. The customer service I have received so far has been extremely poor and unprofessional. My original estimated rental cost was well under $500, but now in total I have been billed a total of $832.28. I was not made aware that there was a $25 service charge per toll, I would have paid my own money through the tolls if they were going to be that expensive, $164 in tolls??? I was also not made aware of the cost for the collision waiver, I have my own full car insurance, why would I pay over $200 additionally?

I told the CS Rep that I have my own insurance and would not need the additional waiver, so he told me to sign the pad. They have literally stolen from me by hiding little details in the contract but not communicating those charges at the time of checking the car out. I have not heard back from several attempts to reach someone at this horrible company. Seriously read all of the reviews, how has this company not been sued, fined, or shut down?? They do not even deserve 1 star.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Long time traveler-scammed by Advantage - You can read all of the negative reviews here. I can lift one on top of them all. They said I 'declined' the TollPass option on my rental. However, they never asked me if I wanted to use the Toll pass, or how the program worked. I ended up with $75 charge for tolls (I think I went thru two of them), of which $50 was administration fees from Advantage. Customer service was a block wall, they know this is a scam and hear it day after day. Rent from someone else.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Negative experience from rental to return: First: 2 hour wait for the car in Maui upon arrival at 3:00 pm. Average transaction time was 17 minutes per customer. Are they renting the vehicle or selling it??? Second: Convertible reserved (Mustang was pictured when renting). Only car was a VW beetle...not happy. Told to come back tomorrow to exchange car when more available. After driving car to hotel (20 miles away) experienced unsafe driving due to front wheel being out of round.

Third: Next day, call Customer Service to arrange car exchange. 45 minute wait to reach customer service which multiple recording messages to email them and wait 24 hours for reply. What kind of CS is that? (Oh yeah, one that is grossly understaffed). Reach CS agent who indicates it is not possible to hold a replacement convertible for me at Maui rental agency. So now it's on me to take two hours and drive 40 miles R/T to return a defective car and HOPE another is on the lot.

Fourth: Good news...a beautiful 2018 Camaro is there and the car is swapped out. This part went very well. Fifth: Return the car with full tank and receive an email invoice with a $139 fuel charge on it even though the invoice indicates tank was full upon return. Sixth: Attempt to reach CS again at 9 am EDT and get a recording their hours are from 8 am EDT - midnight. Hmmm, I think 9 am is between those times. Call back and ask for reservations who ends up creating an incident and give me a case number. Seventh: Incorrect charge posts to my credit card to I have to call Chase to put a hold on payment due to their incompetence. I can forgive one or two screw ups but this was 7 in a row. Would never use this company again.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Run and don't walk! Horrible Service! Went online earlier and booked a rental car for three days thru Expedia for my daughter. The charge was $98.00 for a total of three days. We opted out of the "additional" insurance coverage because we didn't need it. Dropped my daughter off at the airport to pick up her rental. I drove back home, when I arrived my daughter called stated that they would charge her more for the additional coverage. I told her, "NO. We don't need it. We are covered," she then tells me that they want to see proof of our insurance!!! I had to drive back to the airport, park in short term parking and get up to the Advantage Counter. Only to be greeted by an unprofessional women who had the nerve to take my insurance policy and enter it into their system.

When I told her not to do that she said it was just their policy. Then proceed to tell us that there is a 250 mile limitation on the rental. Because Locals get charged additional mileage unless you are traveling into San Antonio then you don't have the limitation... You get unlimited. Then she proceeded to tell me that many locals don't even return the cars and that's been a problem and Advantage Rent a Car is going to start making it very, very hard to rent cars from them. I told her that when we booked this online it stated "unlimited mileage" and asked her "what other under hidden surprises do you have???" She smirked as if all this was funny!

After she asked us five different times about their insurance coverage and waiving it. I finally told her... "Do not ask us that again! We have full coverage and we don't want your coverage." When the deposit amount was presented ($200.00) I said "what choice do we have!" When I said that, she then said "you know what? I don't like your tone! And I'm not going to rent to you." So, she cancelled our rental. We walked to another counter and thank God there are still professionals. The young man greeted us, was calm and helped us immediately. Less than 10 minutes and we were good to go out the door! Less Deposit, no requirement to see our Insurance Card, no hassle about taking out their insurance coverage, no limited mileage, no crappy service. RUN don't walk.

Original review: April 28, 2018

When I rented the car I was a little surprised that no one asked me to go over the car for damages. I never filled out a form stating any damages. A few minutes after leaving the airport I noticed a small crack on the windshield I immediately took a picture and tried to contact them. I didn't have any luck. When I returned the car I got a bill in the mail for $250. Apparently my picture was not good enough for them to even consider. Two months later when I spoke to their customer service representative she was unable to find my bill but I was still receiving letters about the damaged windshield. They are very disorganized and not helpful with concerns. I would never rent from there again.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My car rental from Advantage was by far the WORST customer service experience in my 36 years of life. No matter how much cheaper they are, AVOID the hassle and scams they'll pull. We spent over an hour on a Friday night, waiting in line at the counter for a car and no explanation/apology was provided. We missed dinner with my girlfriend's parents and it was embarrassing having to admit it was due to my trying to save money by renting from them. At one point they had customers running up to the 4th floor to later tell them to run back down to the 3rd and wait some more (total chaos). Now I'm being charged $56 for a single plate-by-toll use when it should of been $30.50 (they said it'd only be $26 plus the cost of the toll, $2.50 service charge + $2 toll). Now I've ended up paying more for this horrendous service than if I'd rented from a reputable company.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I scheduled a car rental on 4/8, with the expectation that I would travel to FL the following day to say goodbye to my grandmother. Within 24 hours I cancelled my reservation, because I missed the flight and was unable to catch another one until later in the week. Advantage refuses to refund my full reservation price. They make their profit stealing from people who are just trying to get to see their grandmother before she dies.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Booked online 2 day rental. Was charged 70 (normal) then charged 200 dep. Then returned my car completely full. Was charged 149.10 for refueling at the 8.99 a gallon charge. Then after sending bank and receipts of dates, times, locations of fill up before drop off they fought me to return my money. Took over a week. They checked my statement today another 43.62 was charged. For what exactly? Pretty sure you are better off with a reputable car rental place. I’ll be cancelling my card to avoid any more future charges they try to sneak in after you think you’ve resolved issues.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information