1.10/5

725 Advantage Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

If I could give 0 stars I absolutely would. When picking up our car at the reservation desk we were immediately told that they did not have a car for us and to have a seat and wait saying probably at least an hour. The attendant was rude and had no regard for people who made reservations for specific times due to scheduled events. After about an hour they had a car for us and we were on our way. That evening we got a flat tire and I called Advantage asking what they prefer for us to do and they stated to bring the car back to them and they will have another one for us.

After getting AAA to tow us back to the airport we were told again they had no car for us after being told 1 hour prior they did. We sat in the parking garage for over 3 hours (until 4 am) and we were forced to call AAA again to have them tow us home (NH) and use up another towing. Approximately 1 week after dropping the car off I get a charge on my CC for $55.90 for a toll violation ($5.9 in tolls, $50 for Advantage fees). After calling I was informed that I had gone through two tolls without paying and I informed them there were no tolls to pay. They explained MA is a "cashless" state and no longer have tolls, only EZ pass. How is a person supposed to avoid a toll charge in a cashless state?

I explained that it is ridiculous that Advantage charges $25 in fees for each incident when the incident is unavoidable. The manager, Mary **, only argument was that I had signed the rental agreement in which I was liable for all tolls and any fees with not paying the tolls. When initially renting the car and asked if I wanted the E-Z Pass option I elected no, however, the attendant DID NOT inform me that MA is a cashless state and that I would need the E-Z Pass (I am from NC so completely unaware of this). The manager again only kept repeating it is my fault for not getting the E-Z Pass and would not drop the accrued charges. This is completely unacceptable for a rental car agency to deceive their customers and not make it aware if a state is cashless or not. I will NEVER use Advantage again due to all these issues and will personally not recommend anybody to use them either.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I normally use Enterprise; but when I booked my airline ticket through JustFly.com, they offered what seemed like a great rate for just over a week - just over $500. BEWARE! My final charge exceeded $1,000. They have sneaky charges, a signing mechanism that use acronyms that are misleading, and don't allow you to see the full details (and when asked, say "it's just the basic contract - it's not an extra", up-selling nonstop from the moment you walk in the door, and only after you've signed a mysteriously small space that doesn't reflect the actual document are you provided the entire contract to read). And when questioned about charges that are more than twice the original contract, lied to about a "refund" that will be applied when the car is returned.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I rented a car from them in Orlando, Florida from August 11-18, 2018. About a month after, I went to pay my credit card and saw a separate charge from Advantage aside from the actual rental charge. The charge was for $26.40. I called to inquire and they told me it was for an unpaid toll because I didn't have the "SunPass" and went through a SunPass lane. I was aware I didn't have SunPass and made sure I went to the cash lane at EVERY toll I went through and paid cash. They didn't care, I disputed the charge with my CC and they found it to be valid due to the BS evidence provided by Advantage. No paperwork provided. Showed the license plate number anywhere, so I'm not sure how they figured out it was me. Needless to say, I will NEVER rent a car from them ever again. I don't care how much cheaper they are. I will also make sure everyone I know never rents from them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I rented a car from Advantage at LAX. The customer service rep at the counter said nothing to me about how the toll device in the car works. Apparently, I went through a $1.80 toll, a toll that had no cash payment options. Advantage later billed me $26.80, which includes a $25 fee that an Advantage phone rep told me they were "required" to pass on me. I never received an invoice for this charge until I called. The Advantage rep confirmed that she had my correct email address on file, so clearly the company purposely avoids alerting customers about this charge.

When I called the "agency" that handles the toll billing, I was told that the agency is actually a PRIVATE company. The lady at this private company told me that Advantage not only comes up with the $25 fee number, but they also keep it! So basically, Advantage purposely keeps its customers in the dark about the possibility of incurring this fee. And if a customer later fights it like I tried to, they simply say "Well, it was in the terms you signed". Major rental car companies settled recently in Florida when the Attorney General went after them. Hopefully this happens in California soon, too.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I recently put up a formal complaint as I was charged $30 for no reason yesterday. It's been a month since I got the car and they charge my credit card without telling me anything. I have reported this with my credit company. They will be reaching out to you as I feel some malpractice is going on your side. You save people credit information and then charge them behind there back. I had paid every penny when I returned the car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We prepaid for a midsize car through Hotwire. When we arrived to pick up the car at the airport at around 5 pm we were informed that there were no more cars available. We were handed a pre-printed letter that told us that we would be reimbursed for any additional cost that we incurred. We then rented from another company and paid $30 more for the car. When we returned home we found that the email address on the letter was invalid! We called the rental office and got a very rude customer service agent who argued with us and finally just gave us corporate's email. Hotwire reimbursed us for the cost of the car but we are still working on getting the extra $30 back that we had to pay because of Advantage's error! This was a lot of aggravation to rent a car!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

We came to take the car around 1 pm and we left the place at 2:40 pm. The lady who received us was antipathetic, not nice and not helpful. Then we got a huge van because we chose on their website on the manager upgrade. Instead of an upgrade we got a downgrade. They are doing that to get rid of the cars that no one else take. Be aware of that! We are a couple without kids and we just wanted a simple economy car which is what we had before we got their « special upgrade ». We Live in NYC and rent cars often - we have never had such an experience! We would never use their services again!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

My reservation was made 3 months in advance. Arriving at car rental counter, with no prior notification, my car was not ready. I was told 15 minute wait. After a while I discovered it would, in fact, be closer to 2-hour wait. The "customer service" agents were rude, argumentative, combative, and lied to me 3 times. One told me to sit my ** down. No one who reserved a car got one in anything close to a reasonable time. Instead of apologizing, they threatened to cancel the reservation of anyone who had the nerve to ask where their car was, and keep the money.

Every single person waiting booked their car through Hotwire. When a manager finally intervened, the CS who told me to sit my ** down told him "you'd better take care of her, 'cause no one else here will". You may be tempted to book with Advantage, because they're so much cheaper than anyone else. There's a reason for that. They don't honor their commitment, and they don't care. You've already paid, and they won't refund. Learn from everyone else who had the misfortune of dealing with them.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

READ YOUR REVIEWS PEOPLE. That’s the biggest lesson I learned here. I’m a regular car renter and have never had issues with other business such as Alamo, Thrifty, Enterprise... but every website I’ve checked has HORRENDOUS reviews for Advantage Rent-A-Car, and for good reason. I booked with Advantage because the car I chose came with unlimited miles. However, I was informed at the pickup counter that being a local, I’m all of the sudden exempt from getting that unlimited mileage. Why would locals be treated differently than any other customer? My booking email/website contains NO such rule or even any fine print regarding unlimited mileage exemptions. Having to pay for unlimited mileage nearly doubled my original booking price.

Also, the car was very dirty and absolutely not cleaned. Bugs splattered on the windshield, grimy dashboard and steering wheel, dirty carpet and there were even papers and parking passes from the previous renter. When I approached the manager for a different, cleaner car, his exact words to me were: “Well, I only pay my guys $7 an hour so you can’t expect much.” Um, okay, what? Yes, I do expect much for the amount of money I’m paying for my rental. Way to have pride in your business or any concern for your customers.

I returned the car with no problems but am now nervous for extra charges occurring on my card because of what other reviewers have reported. Expedia, Priceline, etc... should absolutely take this business down from their websites. They are scamming people and extremely dishonest. VERY disappointed and will not return, nor recommend this place to anyone else.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I rented a car for four days for a trip to FT Lauderdale, FL from Fort Myers, FL, and returning the car in Fort Myers, FL. When I went to pick the car up, the agent at the desk asked me if I would like to take their unlimited toll plan which was $9.99 a day; I responded "no" as I knew the tolls were only $3.25 to and from, a total of $6.50. The agent acknowledged my answer and did not check the box for the toll pay. A month later, after the date of the car return, I noticed a charge on my credit card from Advantage. I received no notification from them for an additional charge of $56.50. Trying to get an answer from them was ridiculous. First, they told me I went through without paying. I paid cash both ways...plus the toll booth agent would not have let the gate up if I hadn't paid.

I'm sure if I would have broken through the gate, I would have had a state trooper pulling me over. They asked me to send them receipts where I paid; I, in turn, asked them to send me the citation from EZ Pass. They emailed an Advantage form which stated the time/day I reached the toll booth. I called them back and requested the actual citation from EZ Pass that shows a pic of the car and license plate. They could not provide one. Finally, they admitted that there was a transponder in the car, which of course, would let them know what time you reached the booth. After much back and forth, they agreed to give me a credit for the $50.00 but told me they would not credit the $6.50, which was the actual total of the toll charge.

At that time, I decided to stop payment through my credit card. These people are scammers. First, if I hadn't looked at my credit card charges, I would not have caught their bogus charge of $56.50. Second, if I did not choose their $9.99 unlimited tolls, they should not have a transponder in the car. Third, if they cannot provide you with a real citation, it's not a valid charge. Unfortunately, this site does not give one the option of scoring them with "0" points; or I would have.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

When we rented a car with a FL license plate from Advantage at JFK in July 2018, we declined its EZ Pass rental (appeared to be expensive to us, but can't recall the exact price for daily rental). However, we didn't realize that was a trap! My cousin in NY let us borrowed her EZ Pass. It was not detected properly at the toll booths (we still don't know the reason). A week after we returned the car, $254.51 was charged to our credit card for a $34.50 actual toll charge from Advantage! There was $50 added fee for each toll usage (total of $100). Advantage claimed that it was not trying to penalize us, but was the 'violation charge' from EZ Pass. It suggested us to contact EZ Pass directly but refused to provide the 'violation code' from EZ Pass. Without the code, EZ Pass couldn't pull up the actual violation case.

My cousin contacted EZ Pass on our behalf after we returned to Hong Kong. The general answer she received about violation was "When a violation is sent out to the registered owner they have 15 days to pay the toll only and a $5.00 fee for New York State Thruway Authority, for Port Authority they can pay the toll in 15 days and request to have the fee waived. If a tag doesn't read and the license plate is not on an account the violation gets sent to the registered owner of the vehicle." (In this case, the rental company.) It should only be $5 fee, not $50! After all these, we realized we couldn't reach a satisfactory resolution with the company. We just regret that we didn't do enough research before making the choice. We hope travelers will read this review BEFORE renting from Advantage in JFK.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

** experience at Denver Airport. Rented on 9/15 - Saturday and had to wait 2.5 hrs in the line. Returned at same airport on 9/22 and again saw people in similarly long line. Also charges for spouse as co-driver which no other rental has ever charged.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

The Advantage rental office is a long way from SFO. I waited more than 20 minutes for the shuttle van. The rental car employees shouted and argued with each other. The staff didn't help me check out my vehicle. When returning the car, the staff were rude. The other customers and I waited more than 15 minutes for the shuttle van. Then, our shuttle van was unable to exit the rental car parking lot because of improperly parked vehicles. Total time between returning my car and arriving at the airport was about one hour. I will never rent from this company again. I booked this rental thru Priceline and will exercise caution dealing with Priceline in the future so as not to get stuck with another fly-by-night company like Advantage.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have rented from Advantage/E-Z Rent-A-Car for years. In the last 4 rentals (2 months) they have been nothing but problems. The average wait in line to get my car was 45 min to an hour only to people working at counter and all the experience. People have quit (**). My last straw was when I got to counter after waiting 25 min they told me they didn't have any vehicles and they could only give me a truck (I had my confirmation with me) which I didn't want because I was doing volunteer work carrying senior citizens to different places.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Do not recommend. 1 month after renting a vehicle in Orlando Airport I received a charge on my checking account from Advantage. We were charged for tolls and a daily fees of $25 each day a toll was charged. We paid all tolls in cash except 1 that we did not have exact change. We did pick up an envelope at the toll booth and mailed in the toll. We did not purchase the SunPass at Advantage due to its high price. We did check the SunPass holder behind the rear view mirror and it was empty. I called Advantage and was sent to Toll Company who informed me I had to send receipts of tolls paid. They also informed me that the SunPass devices are placed either in the glovebox or another part of the car. How can we send in receipts if we paid exact change at toll booths. I am still fighting. Thinking about the airport, Advantage had the only counter that was not busy, all other car rentals counters had lines out the door. Now I know why.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Rented from Advantage in Honolulu July 26-29 2018. Email confirmation was for $180.12. Car returned on time/early with full tank. Had bill emailed and when I checked upon returning home found they had billed me an additional $120. Disputed this with them sending them the email confirmation and photo of handwritten rental agreement showing same amount. Disputed with my credit card company as well to cover bases. Card company has told me Advantage has claimed charge was valid, even with documentation. I sent documents to my credit card company. I won't be renting from Advantage again, or E-Z Rent a Car. They appear to be same company.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. I wish I had read the reviews before choosing Advantage Rent-A-Car. Just like many of the other reviews, the clerk was not disclosing additional fees they were adding to the contract. After two long flights, and waiting in the car rental line for 45 minutes, we were most happy to initial on the iPad where the clerk said to initial. He offered a "military discount" for an upgrade. It was supposed to be a fee of $50 dollars. After reading the contract once we got to our Hotel in Colorado Springs, we realized he had charged an additional $35 per day. He also lied about the money we had paid to Priceline by stating that money would "be credited" upon return of the vehicle. It was not. I have tried to talk to Advantage and got nowhere. The individual on the phone stated that I had to call Priceline to get the refund. I have filed a dispute with my credit card company and I am sure Advantage will talk with them.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Had prepaid rental. Showed up at counter at 10 pm. Was told by two employees that really didn't care to speak to me (guess I was bothering them with my PREPAID RENTAL) they had no cars. Showed them my contract. Too bad, they may have some in the morning sometime. Well I guess I should understand, it was a small airport that maybe they didn't have many there. CLT Charlotte NC I will never use them again, not worth the problems trying to find a vehicle at 10 pm with no help on how to proceed. So Shame on Advantage!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Advantage rent a car leased a car to me with no GPS. I asked the attendant to provide a car with GPS. The attendant replied the car offered did not have GPS but would be happy to GIVE me one. The attendant asked to hold funds on my credit card for any issues with the car if returned damaged. I asked her if I should read the contract making sure there were no other charges, She stated no other charges would be made. I get home to find that they charged me $109.90 for the GPS. I called to dispute and was only given 50% off. I will never use this car rental ever again. I feel that I taken advantage of by trusting the attendant during my stay.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I rented a car from Advantage Rent-A-Car at Salt Lake City for 5 days for my trip to Yellowstone. I picked up the car in the early morning and was told that the car was fully inspected. I believed that and went on the road. When I was about 2.5 hours on my way to Yellowstone, the weather temperature went up and I needed air conditioning. To my surprise, no matter what we tried, the car just produced warm air. Its air conditioning was not working. I called customer service immediately but they didn't have another place close to anywhere along the way for me to exchange the car.

I couldn't afford the time to go back to SLC, so I was stuck with the defective car, and had to open the windows even on high ways in order to survive the heat. When I finally came back and returned the car, they did nothing about providing me a defective car. I had to write to the local manager, but I haven't heard any response. I'm still in dispute with them. Had I known that they are not a credited company, I would not have rented from them. Be aware.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

My brother rented a car with insurance, had car accident where at-fault 93-yr-old struck him. The at fault driver was cited. My brother called rental company, police called tow and Advantage said my brother is responsible for towing and car storage and getting the car back to them. We are at this stage and you only have 1 800 number. We drove to airport and they told us we can't do anything until we get car back and you have to get it to us but towing company won't tow it for my brother under his request because it's not his car. This is a joke.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My husband and I rented a car from Advantage in Tampa Florida for three weeks. Our flight down was delayed and by the time we got to the car rental desk we were exhausted. The woman staffing the desk was very chatty and just shoved a paper in front of us and said, “Initial here and sign there.” She asked if there would be more than one driver and we said that we may both drive it. She copied both our driver’s licenses and handed us papers to bring to the lot to get the car.

We just saw the charges to our credit card - an extra $297 for me to drive. I drove a total of about 15 miles during those three weeks. Never was an extra charge mentioned. We have rented from other companies and were never charged when the spouse was the extra driver. NEVER rent from Advantage. We learned a very expensive lesson.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I made rental car via Priceline.com and charged to rent a car for 2 days (69.85). When I received the invoice, Advantage car rental overcharged me $285.00. I called customer service (1-800-777-5500) to explain the error. They told me fly back from my state to local rental in Atlanta, GA to solve problem. The problem came from by local rental by giving me wrong car (car of other customer), then took information of that customer car loan into my invoice. The lady of customer service (1-800-777-5500) made a stupid suggestion.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

We waited an 1 1/2 hrs in line just to rent a car. Reserved a Jeep but Advantage didn't have the car available/ready. They offered to upgrade us to a Yukon at no extra charge. Because we were already running late now for a wedding rehearsal in Colorado Springs we agreed to take the "BEAST" instead of what we reserved. (huge gas guzzler and not at all what we wanted) Get in the car (which hadn't been cleaned) drive to our hotel in Colorado Springs, we go to lock the car and realized the fob was broken and scotched taped together and would not lock the doors. GREAT!!! Ok we'll just manually lock the doors. We went to leave for the evening, unlocked the car with the key which set off the car alarm. Needless to say our experience from beginning to end was the worst! Will not ever use them again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Advantage is the worst. Because of tropical storm winds and rain conditions I was 3 hours late to return car even though I called and advised a gentleman in Guatemala (customer service) of the same, and when I arrive at the return center 3 hours and 11 minutes late, they charged me a "rack" or highest rate for an ADDITIONAL day. (Almost 70.00!!!). He offered me a $25.00 credit off it to his defense. Now imagine, the power went out at my home, and a large limb went down just up the street from me, so I am figuring the weather is pretty nasty all over our area.

When I arrived at the agency I spoke with manager "Rodney" who was even more rude, accusing me of driving to Orlando in the time I was late, even though I only had 120 mile in two days of rental on car. He then went on to say, that he "just got back from leaving for lunch". I even contacted corporate, and they refused to make any change as well!!! I felt that driving under those conditions was unsafe and it was better to wait the waves of rains to pass a little before I returned the car. Guess they didn't really care about it. Just interested in the money!!! I am sure they could have simply adjusted the day charge right off if they wanted to. I was very disappointed that making a safe choice cost me so much. I use Hotwire often, but will not if they cannot guarantee that rental car does not come from Advantage Rental car.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I was given Advantage Rent-A-Car through Travelocity and did not check their record prior to booking the reservation. My trip was to New Jersey and my rental was made at Newark NJ Airport. I reserved a subcompact. When I arrived I was told that I could upgrade to a GMC Acadia from my subcompact at no extra charge. I said ok. I later found out that I was charged an extra $20 a day, apparently a common bait and switch practice for this company. I did not get the insurance because I have comp on my personal car and AAA for towing. I get the car and go to my Jersey Shore location. While parked in a seaside town, the streets flooded. My rented Acadia was flooded to midway up the doors. When I attempted to start the Acadia, it was dead. I called Advantage informing them of the act of God that had happened and was told that I was responsible for getting the dead Acadia back to Newark Airport.

I arranged a tow through AAA. It turns out that the tow company could not tow in to Newark Airport because they don’t have the special permit to tow in to the airport. I searched for hours to find a tow company to tow from my area into Newark Airport and found none. Again, Advantage could not offer any help finding a tow company to their facility. They basically told me, “Too bad, it is your responsibility.” Long story short, I had the dead Acadia towed to Philly Pa., Advantages only other facility within my AAA 100 mile range allowance. A few weeks later, I received a bill from Viking Services, a collection service of Advantage Rent-A-Car headed up by Scott Davido, Al Farrell and Stewart Brown.

The letter informed me that since I didn’t get the insurance that I owed $14900 and they wanted payment. I told them I have insurance to cover it. I contacted my insurance company and they told me, “No problem, we have dealt with them before and don’t worry.” I continued to get more calls and letters from Advantage/Viking for months demanding payment. It turns out that my insurance company was awaiting itemized billing from Advantage who had not furnished these to my insurance company for several months.

My guess is they attempted to overcharge me, but are hesitant to rip off my insurance company and cannot produce $14900 worth of receipts. Advantage Rent-A-Car, under the direction of Scott Davido, Al Farrell and Stewart Brown also tried to charge me for 5 days of rental when in fact I returned the car before 1 day had passed. This is a company that is deeply rooted in a long history of shady practices that prey upon the American public. I can only hope that Consumer Affairs takes Note and stops them. The best path anyone should take while renting a car is to absolutely avoid Advantage Rent-A-Car.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Worst rental company ever. They cheat the people very badly and very rude upon asking them for the resolution. Went to Las Vegas vacation and decided to drop the car in LA and they asked $2200. BS Company. They asked me to drop the car back to Las Vegas and I had to cancel my flight from LA and then rebook the hotel, car and flight from Las Vegas. Costed more than $1100 and upon asking them they said they will give me 1 day free rental which would be $30-$50. Who the heck needs their $50 when I lost more than $1100 and ruined all my trip. Worst customer service, worst car rental ever. Don't let ruin your vacation by using this rental car company. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I reserved a compact car for the week I needed to be in Arizona. The reservation was supposed to be for 227. The clerk at the desk offered an upgrade that sounded like it would be at an even better rate than my reservation. So I assumed when she charged me the $393 it included the $200 deposit. Nope they charged me the reservation amount plus the $18 a day for the upgrade. None of which is clear in the paperwork. I also had to call to get the deposit hold apparently they had placed on my card. Teach me to not read the reviews first.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

The company will try every way to try to keep your deposit. Keep all receipts. If you fill up with gas keep the receipt, they will state that you bring it in empty and will charge you your full deposit.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

THESE PEOPLE ARE THE WORST! NEVER, NEVER RENT FROM ADVANTAGE! Advantage Rent a Car at the Denver Airport overcharged my son $707. My son was traveling on business and his company had reserved and paid for a rental car, but when my son went to pick it up after arriving to Denver after midnight, the ONE person at the Advantage counter had such a thick accent, that he couldn't understand him. My son knew the car was paid for and that the only charges to his personal card would be for gas and the underage fee. He was so tired and so frustrated with not understanding the man at the counter, he signed the contract and accepted keys and left.

The next morning when he looked at the contract, the Advantage employee had upgraged his car and charged him for it and he charged him for FIVE different insurances on the car none of which he did he request. He called the company immediately and they pretty much said "Oh, that's too bad" We called on 4 more occasions trying to work with them and they continually said that they didn't care. We opened a claim through our bank and the funds were eventually returned to my son's bank account. It was a LONG, STRESSFUL, INFURIATING situation. Advantage tried to steal $707 and kept it for over a month, and did not willingly refund the mistake. He travels for business continually, renting cars two or three times a month and has NEVER had this kind of trouble at a rental car company.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information