1.13/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

766 Advantage Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We returned our rental car to the Kahului Maui location with a full tank (filled at Costco a couple blocks away). I showed receipt and it was confirmed full by staff. I was handed a handheld to sign and told invoice would be emailed. I checked invoice and found I was charged for a full tank at double the market price. I had paid to fill up tank and was then charged for a full tank at double the rate. I would never deal with this company again. They ripped us off.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Location: Denver International Airport (Denver, CO United States) - DEN; (DEN). Message: I had bad experience in Denver Co on Dec 29/2018 with Advantage Rent-A-Car reservation #**. The car that I rented wasn't available, I had to get an upgrade Toyota Sequoia vehicle # **, VIN # ** and of course more expensive. When I got the car, light tire sensor was on, I had to go to the back of rent a car place to put air on all the tires 2 times and the light still on but the man told me that will be fine. When me and my family (2 kids) going to the mountain I felt something weird on the brakes and when we arrived to Winter Park in a gas station I check the brake fluid and was below the lower level, and I refilled.

The washer fluid was very low too and I refilled too. I had to refill air on the right front tire every single day x 6 days and this is not safety for me and my family with 2 kids. When I returned the car 1/4/2019 @ 8:00 pm I explained the manager what happened and she put everything on the computer and told me they will call me for an answer because they have sent the report to the mechanic. What happened is not safety for no one.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I decided to rent from them to try them out. Everything was fine until I get a $31 charge on my credit card 2 weeks later. Turns out they charged me $25 administration fee to pay $6 toll bill. This $25 toll administration fee was never mentioned by the agent at the time I was getting the car. The customer service guy just kept repeating that it's my fault because I did not read their fine print. Do not rent from them.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Took forever to get helped, just to find out they didn't reserve my vehicle and offer something completely different at higher rate. The employee who was very rude claimed they did not do refunds, I had to call customer service and send a manager after this guy to get my refund.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We rented a car from Advantage at the Phoenix Airport. A process which should have taken 30 minutes at most, took 3 hours by the time we were in the car and on the road. While there were no lines at the other car rental companies, Advantage had a line of at least 6 people waiting. The desk had 5 or 6 stations, but only two people working. As soon as a third employee arrived, one of the others went "on break" and we never saw him again. The person who finally called us up was helpful; the process was extremely slow, however.

We had requested a GPS, and this turned out to be a big problem. They had to go looking for one, and then it took another 45 minutes before he figured out how to set it up. He asked the other person working at the counter for help, which meant that no one was being served. I noticed several people getting out of the line and heading toward the other rental counters. If only we had done the same. The employee had to go downstairs with us to the car, to show us how to install and work the GPS. Again, this meant that there was only one person working at the desk.

When we returned the car after a few days, the signs to Advantage were clear. However, after we parked the car, there was no one to meet us to take the key and the GPS, and no signs to indicate where to go. There were several people wandering around through the garage, and when I finally discovered the Advantage office (not clearly marked), there was a young man sitting at the desk, busy at his smart phone. When I told him that there were several cars waiting, he said that he had not noticed anything. While our reservation summary showed a total of $146.94, we were charged an additional $51 for three days of GPS use, and then a variety of extra charges for $43.05. I WOULD NEVER RENT FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN, AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I went to ADVANTAGE's rental desk at LAX to pick up a car the I booked online. Although there was no one waiting, a couple of staff just walked around and we had to wait 20 minutes to be served by JAMEN. Although our booking clearly stated we already paid for Basic Insurance, he showed us a screen show no insurance included. When we wanted to take pictures or asked him to print out the booking from his system, he refused. As we arrived from overseas, our US sim card is not activated, he refused to lend us phone to make a local call. Although he was the one started to raise his voice and talked over us, he accused us of not being calm! He just wanted to sell insurance.

We have been renting cars for our holidays in the last twenty years, he was treating us like idiots. When we requested to talk to manager, he called out someone with no name badge, claim to be the manager on duty! We had a long flight, really had no energy left, plus we already paid $300 online, ended up paying extra $450 for insurance! They obviously taking the ADVANTAGE! I wish I had seen the reviews before booking online. :(

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Orlando, FL rental counter personnel were fast talking sales people selling a bill of goods. Would not take "third party insurance" charging $30 extra per day. Front bumper on our vehicle was damaged appearing close to falling off. Garage personnel were less than cooperative when requested to inspect the damage before we left with the vehicle. She was rude and curt and did not want to get off her lazy butt to walk to the vehicle to inspect the prior damage. We had just rented a quality vehicle for less than half the price from Thrifty at DFW prior to this part of our trip with no hidden fees and excellent customer service. We will never use Advantage in the future and do NOT recommend them. Poor customer service, poor quality vehicles, ridiculous hidden fees.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Although they had the claim number from my insurance company 6 months after accident they put the above charge on my credit card even though they knew claim number to send to. The breakdown of loss sheet showed repair cost $2207.12 + downtime $280 + admin fee $150 (which totals $2637.12) but charged $4325.34. After my adjuster straightened out what was actually owed they owed me $448.14 and have not yet repaid me the money. The handling of this was completely unprofessional and the claims manager totally uninterested in correcting her mistakes blaming it on their finance department.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

This was by far the most horrible car rental experience EVER!!! This is such a low end operation it's a joke! We got a great deal on CarRentals.com and thought we would try them even though we had never heard of them. The old saying "You get what you pay for" has never been more true! First off we arrived at 9:30 pm and waited in line for more than an hour and a half because they were telling everyone they had run out of cars.

When we finally get up to the counter they tell us "I'm sorry. We are all out of the mid-size car you reserved but we have a Chevy Suburban SUV available." There were two of us and this was totally not necessary but we said fine since it was 11:00 pm by this point and we're exhausted from a very long flight. THEN they said "Great. We'll go ahead and upgrade you and it will be an additional $25 a day". We said, "No thanks. That's not what we reserved." Then they said - "Oh sorry. You can wait but it will be another 3 hours before we have a compact vehicle in".

We were livid - we have never been to any car rental place where they don't upgrade you if they run out of the car class you booked. We felt like we were literally forced to pay more or be without a car on our trip since everything else was booked up. This whole thing was a giant scam and a way for them to charge people and I'm curious if it's even legal for them to do that! I can't even tell you how awful the returning of the car was as well - the WORST customer service agents anywhere. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID - YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We rented a car in Orlando airport for a week in December 2018. The man at the teller tried adding all these extra charges, which we declined. He was pushy but we pushed back. When we got to the place to pick up the car the original car’s tires were bald and thus very unsafe for the roads. We requested another car which had scratches on it. We were very thorough when expecting.

After a week of use we returned the car without any issues. A few weeks after the rental I see a charge on my credit card, when called to inquire about it, they say it was a $1 toll (which I had no other options to pay) and there was a service fee of $25 added to that. I asked to pay part of the service fee even though nowhere on the contract does it state a service fee. They declined, had me call another number, where it was declined as well. I think it’s ridiculous that for $1 charge I am charged $25 service fee. Their customer service is horrible, I will never use this company again.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Wish I'd read these reviews before I reserved the car. The complaints are accurate. My problems: 1. Waited 40 minutes for shuttle; 2. When I didn't take the bite for the upgrade, the agent got surly; 3. The car was filthy, it looked like it had soot on it. The windows and mirrors were so dirty, I couldn't see the traffic; 4. The car was finally made available 2 hours after the agreed upon time. Even though we had fair weather, the car was the dirtiest car at the time of return, same condition it was picked up. Yes, I called customer service. Sebastian, in Central America, said he's communicate with the local office and I should hear back within 48 hours from them. What a surprise when no one ever got back to me. DON'T take the $10 less per day rate, rent from a more reliable vendor. These reviews are my only recourse.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I recently rented a car from this company at the Denver Airport. I rented cars for 46 years while in business with few bad experiences. Upon arriving at the rental site on December 22, 2018, the agent offered to upgrade me at no additional charge. This is where the rip off began. When I returned the car on time on December 27 as agreed, I was told the invoice would be emailed to my Gmail address. However I never got an email message, but a few days later I saw a charge on my credit card for $1000.00 more than originally quoted. When I called the so called customer service number the call was disconnected because of high call volume. I have disputed the charge with my credit card company but believe I may have been ripped off. "THEIR Advantage" I guess. This company is owned by Hertz. They seem ripe for a class action suit to me.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Trip to Kauai in December 2018, reserved a rental from Advantage several months before and was expecting the $279 price I was quoted. Upon arriving at the rental location I wait about an hour because of many customers and only 2 employees manning the desk. I have rented cars for 50 years and have never been harassed so much to take the full coverage insurance. I have never used any insurance from rental companies as I have my own coverage. They made me believe that my insurance would not cover many things and would not take my word but wanted prove of insurance. I ended up paying almost $700 for the car rental plus a $200 fee for tentative damage of non-compliance. My rental car was as expensive as my hotel. NO MORE ADVANTAGE OR THE OTHER RENTAL CAR COMPANIES UNDER THE SAME UMBRELLA.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Hired a car through Holiday autos in the UK which turned out to be Advantage/Europcar at San Francisco Airport. First thingmet not an airport pickup as advertised but a 15 minute bus ride downtown. First car offered had clearly been in a crash with rear end crumpled. Second car was offered. After second day of hire leaving Yosemite National Park brakes applied only to hear metal on metal. Long drive downhill from Yosemite to Fresno with faulty brakes. Found Toyota dealer in Fresno who confirmed car too dangerous to drive. Made contact with Advantage in San Francisco only to be asked to drive the car back to San Francisco. Dealer said no chance as too dangerous. Therefore had brakes repaired at my own expense $500.

Later on during holiday had two warning lights about maintenance required and contact a dealer. Returned car to Advantage, explained problems to Manager and left copies of repair documents. It's now 12 weeks and no reimbursement forthcoming. Advantage Customer care not bothering to respond to e-mails. Letter will go to Advantage CEO soon. A firm that should be avoided at all costs.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I would recommend staying away from this company. I called on 12-22-18 trying to get thru to the customer service line to extend rental. I waited on hold for 30 minutes w/ no one coming on the line. I had to literally drive to the rental site to extend the contract screwing up my entire day's plans and wasting a lot of my time. The woman behind the rental counter was extremely rude and lacking concern for my horrific experience on hold. She literally abandoned the counter leaving me standing there, and I had to have another gentleman extend my rental because she walked off. When she returned 10 minutes later, she started hooting and hollering at the printer w/ other customers in line waiting. Completely unprofessional behavior.

The vehicle I was given was not in very good shape, as one of the seats came completely dislodged from the floor. It ran very rough, and it sucked a lot of gasoline. The agents at the counter have bad attitudes, and the wait times in line are ridiculous, often times taking over 20 minutes just to get to a rep to check you out. They may have lower rates, but in the end, the frustration is not worth it. I won't use them again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

The prices seem too good to be true, and that's because they are. Firstly, they didn't tell us that you can't put a deposit on a debit card. So we reserved our car with a debit card and then found out at the counter that we had to go all the way back home to get a credit card to actually get the car. Frustrating, but not the worst thing. When we finally returned to pick up the car the counter attendant Robert told us we should get fuel through them instead of at a gas station before we returned the car to save money. We kept telling him we didn't want to do that because we weren't going to return it on an empty tank, but he swore to us that we would be charged Costco gas prices and only for the amount we needed to fill up. This was a lie. Complete and total lie.

When we returned the car we were charged over $50 for a tank of gas, and I returned it with just over 1/2 a tank of gas. Also, we were supposed to receive a 'free rental day' for signing up for their rewards program. They took $9 off our total bill, not a full day. I spent 3 days trying to reach customer service about the charges. You cannot leave a message, and the e-mail address they tell you to reach out to is NOT valid. It got kicked back to me. When I did reach customer service they basically said, "Too bad, you signed for the tank of gas whether or not the employee lied to you." They do not care about you or your business. Don't believe anything the attendants say. Read every inch of fine print because that's the only way you're going to save yourself from paying too much like I did. For what I paid I could have gone to a reputable company and not felt cheated.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

We went to Florida December 3rd 2018 and just returned. Advantage Car Rental this morning took out $749.00. We called and found out they charged us TWICE for the car rental. We paid a grand for the car when we arrived at the airport car rental area and the payment went through. We had a underage fee which was sworn we would receive back. Little did we know they would charge us twice saying we never paid the first time but we have proof of every single thing with them and their “refund of fee” was taking more money out. NEVER RENT FROM THEM!!!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I rented an SUV for vacation and when I went to pick it up they told me they didn't have my vehicle and offered me a minivan instead. Minivans cost less to rent and they didn't want to give me a partial refund either. I had to fight for half an hour to get a refund. I went to Sixt and had a great experience.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Don't ever rent a car with Advantage. Worst customer service and their "promotions" are just fake with lots of hidden fees. And the company's coverage and stock of cars are too limited. Be careful, I'm telling you.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I reserved a car online for a week on Phoenix. Once I got there to pick up the car, I had to wait in line for an hour. Once at the counter, the gentleman told me that they no longer had the car I reserved but would upgrade me. The counter process took a good 15 minutes. I was told I was upgraded to a VW Passat. I did not consider this an upgrade! I told the gentleman I did not want a diesel vehicle because of the gas price and mileage. He told me that diesel was the same price as unleaded!!! Yes, you read that right! At this point it has been 2 hours since my flight landed and I just wanted to get on my way. I go downstairs to get my sweet ride, but I can’t start the thing. So the attendant comes to help me and says “oh, you have to hold the button in longer than normal and wait for it to start.” Super! I get on my way and I notice while going down the freeway the steering wheel seems to have some play in it and it’s shaking.

I called customer service the next morning and told them about it and asked if I could get a different car. She said that would be no problem. I went back to the car rental place and dropped the car off. The gentleman that checked me back in said I could just go right over to the little hut in the garage and let them know that I would need a new car. Once I got there, a lady working with a different customer overheard me and very angrily said, "You can’t change cars just because you don’t like the one you got." I did inform her that I was the consumer and I should at least be comfortable with my purchase. She sent me upstairs. Another 45 minute wait, rude counter people and a new order for a different car, I was back downstairs.

This time a new lady, said that I was going to get another diesel. When I informed her that I did not want another diesel, she informed me that she could upgrade me to a minivan. I did not think that was an upgrade so I asked her to cancel my contract and I would go somewhere else. She canceled the contract and charged my card for the time I had the vehicle. I asked what the charge was... $91!!! I said, "You did not just charge my card $91 for having a vehicle for 16 hrs?" She very smugly said, “yep, I did.” I would never recommend this company. I went to Alamo instead. Friendlier and faster service AND I got to pick my own car.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I rented a car from advantage in Denver on May 10-13, 2018. I took the car back on May 13 and flew back to Albuquerque, NM. Since this time I have been accused of stealing the car and was charged over $2000 for these false charges. No one will help clear this up at advantage. Here we are in Dec and still no help in sight despite my credit hanging in the balance. Is this fair to consumers to not research all the facts? Look at their cameras, look at the boarding pass I sent in the witnesses I provided. I am in shock and sad that a business can take advantage of people when we have so many other choices.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I reserved a car on Expedia for $86.00 for 4 days. When I arrived to the Las Vegas counter John (agent) asked me a couple questions like, "Do you want insurance?" "No. Thanks." "OK initial the key pad." "Do you want to upgrade?" "No. Thanks. I reserved the manager special on Expedia I will stick with that." "OK initial the key pad. Sign the key pad. Have a nice day." 3 days later I see a charge for $382.00 that he upgraded me and gave me insurance. I have been trying to resolve this with Advantage for 3 weeks and no refund is given according to customer service supervisor.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The staff at Newark were very friendly and accommodating, there were no long lines, however the vehicle we were given did not have working windscreen washers and the wipers were bad which made visibility dangerously poor in the snow at night. When contacted we were asked to travel 4 hours to collect a replacement vehicle which was not possible. Another member of our party was given a vehicle with bald tyres. 1 of the 3 vehicles hired by our group was in roadworthy condition.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The worst rent a car company I have seen in my life. I booked a car weeks in advance. When I arrived I had to wait 45 mins before being serviced and they had no car only minivans. Week before this I was given a car with bald tires, empty gas tank and trash inside. Then the receipt they sent me after dropping off had someone else's name and address on it. I travel often, and Advantage is definitely the worst I have seen by miles. Have been telling anyone I know to never use Advantage. If I could give zero stars I would.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The worst rent a car company I have seen in my life. I booked a minivan 2 months ahead of my travel from Dallas to Atlanta to pick up from Atlanta International Airport. On arrival there was no sign of a minivan. The same was true for several other passengers, and this was during October, not even peak tourism season. We were there to attend a wedding, as were another set of people, and so was a family with a little girl in a wheelchair, and a few others. We waited 3 hours, and then cancelled and took a minivan with another company. Not sure how long the others waited. They would not work with anyone, we asked if they could give 2 cars instead of a minivan, and they said it was against their policy. I travel often, and Advantage is definitely the worst I have seen by miles. Will never book with them again, and I doubt anyone there will either. Have been telling anyone I know to never use Advantage. If I could give zero stars I would.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We rented a car at the Denver airport from Advantage for 12 days. They charged $190 for the rental and $285 for extra driver and fees and taxes. This is what CheapOair calls a bundle!!! WHAT? I will not ever use CheapOair or Advantage again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

It was our first time to rent the car from Advantage in Denver’ airport; we had a very bad experience. There was a big line and we were waiting for one hour; also we've received the email for $199 but at the end we got charged $200 extra for the insurance that we didn't need it.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

There is no way to pay cash for tolls on the way back to the airport in Orlando Florida. So, Advantage will pay your $2.50 cent toll and then charge you another $25.00 ADMINISTRATION FEE!!! Watch out for this company or better yet, do not do business with them...period!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

They will try to rip you off with extra charges after the fact. Make sure you check your credit card billings. Best yet - do NOT use them. I contested and had charges removed from my credit card but they charged a second time. Have no idea what they used to justify the charges - if anything. I wanted to give zero stars but have to give at least one.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Rented a car from Advantage. Charged it to a credit card that would cover any damage to the rental car and, since we don’t own a car, purchased supplemental liability insurance in case of an accident involving another party (never thinking we would actually need it!) We had an accident which was our fault (no injuries but damage to both vehicles). The other party’s insurance is asking for payment, but Advantage (which didn’t have a brochure on SLI when we rented) will not respond to our repeated requests asking for the name of their insurance company so that we can refer the claim to them. No help after the accident and no help now, just a huge bill.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information