1.12/5
Based on 120 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 20, 2018

637 Advantage Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

Booked online 2 day rental. Was charged 70 (normal) then charged 200 dep. Then returned my car completely full. Was charged 149.10 for refueling at the 8.99 a gallon charge. Then after sending bank and receipts of dates, times, locations of fill up before drop off they fought me to return my money. Took over a week. They checked my statement today another 43.62 was charged. For what exactly? Pretty sure you are better off with a reputable car rental place. I’ll be cancelling my card to avoid any more future charges they try to sneak in after you think you’ve resolved issues.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Do not rent from this company, I rented via Hotwire, I asked my rental agent in detail reference prepaying tolls, he said not to worry that it would be charged to credit card on file, he did not offer the EZ program or advise of the additional administrative fee of $25.00 PER toll you drive thru. This information I find after my card charged, when I ask questions I want to be educated properly. I want an agent to know policy and offer it automatically, I believe that this information is not offered to charge if you don’t take the time to read the contract, in dealing with customer service horrid. All they know how to say, "You signed," yes but the agent checked off declined. I didn’t even see the entry. They wouldn’t know integrity if it smacked them in the face.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

On March 4, 2018 I made a reservation with Advantage Rent A Car. The reservation was for Frankfurt International Airport in Germany. The amount for the two-week rental was $459.03 USD. When I got to Advantage's European Partner's desk (Europcar), they said, that is 459.03 Euros, not US dollars. I showed them my reservation, but they would not acknowledge it and said I would need to speak with Advantage or where I made the reservation. I got back to the USA, got my bill for $200 USD more than the reservation. I called Advantage Rent A Car. They tell me they "don't handle international reservations." They said I would have to speak with Europcar. The Advantage Supervisor ("Gio") was unwilling to help me. This is unfair and I will not use Advantage again.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I rented a car through Expedia for this car rental company. I went to the counter after my flight arrived and told them I had a reservation. They went through the whole process and at the end stated that I owed $200.00 more than my email from Expedia. They said it was for a deposit. What??? My credit card had more than enough money for the rental but not enough for the deposit too. They wouldn't let me split it between 2 cards and my debit card wouldn't work because I had forgotten to tell my bank I was traveling.

I was 7 hours away from home and 2 hours away from my destination and no one would help. One representative told my daughter that she could pay for the reservation and then I could pay the deposit. Thankfully I checked before her card was charged because the other representative said the credit card had to be present. Nice. No one knows what they are doing. They referred me to other rental places. Really. Here I am crying and going from rental place to rental place asking about the cost to rent a car and everyone was higher. My daughter, who was having surgery the next day told me to try Enterprise. She talked to the representative and they were so kind and helpful and were able to get me on my way for a better price than Advantage.

I spent 1.5 hours at the airport trying to get a rental mostly trying to work with a company that I now will call Disadvantage Car Rental. I will never attempt to rent from them and I will tell all my friends and family how horrible they are!!! Not sure if Expedia knew about the extra charge or not because my email did not include any mention of a deposit. SHAME ON YOU ADVANTAGE! Taking advantage of travelers like that.

Original review: April 16, 2018

My wife and I reserved a car online at a specific price when our plane landed and went up to the counter. The car rental agent tried to charge us a lot more money for taxes and other fees to the tune of around 3 or 350.00 more that are not explained on their website. They just let you book it and wack you for it at the counter. When we complained he removed about 200.00 dollars off explaining that he gave us such a great deal. Then a few months later I received a bill in the mail for an additional 183.00 for what they explained in the letter as a violation fee and service fee.

Then the very next day I received a notice from my credit card company telling me that they hit my credit card for the amount of 214.00. When you call the number on their bill you will not get through to anyone. They put me on hold several times only to have the call dropped again and again. When I finally did get someone on the line it was because I called the number pretending to rent another car. They told me they could not help me. They said to call different department which I had already done several times before. Also a final note every person I have dealt with from day one from the first rental car agent to the last person I finally did get to speak with they were completely unfriendly and unhelpful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: April 15, 2018

We had, and paid for a reservation, but when we got to the place they wanted an extra $200.00! No mention of that in the website, no warning whatsoever. They also said they only would take it by a credit card, and not a debit card. My wife offered her credit card, but they would not accept it. They said since I reserved the car, only I could pay it. BUT I PAID IT USING MY WIFE'S CARD... AND SHE WAS THERE WITH ME, AND HAD THE CARD AND HER ID WITH HER. They ALSO said the extra $200 was a rule "for locals." Didn't know we Las Vegas residents are the target of discrimination by Advantage. (Or maybe because we are ** and Latino?) Too bad they didn't realize my wife is a lawyer and knows our rights. We asked for the manager, and got told they could do nothing and we would get no refund or exchange.

The manager's name was Nina, and she is incompetent and lacking in professionalism. Avoid this place at all costs! They ALSO said that ALL the rental car companies do the same thing (the $200 and refusing a debit card or insisting that the person who reserved the car has to be the one to pay this fee, EVEN when the car itself was PAID FOR by the person who is offering to pay the $200 IN PERSON). But they lied. We went right over to Alamo. We rented a car WITHOUT the $200.00 extra (not that we would have minded-we just wanted to use EITHER my debit card OR my wife's credit card, which we used to PRE-PAY for the car) They did not discriminate against minorities or people from Clark County.

There was no sketchy dance by the Alamo customer service agent. (And the vehicle we got, a SUV, was even cheaper than the regular car we had paid for at Advantage--go figure!) There is a reason that Alamo has 4 stars on Yelp, and Advantage has 2. (And the only positive reviews, they probably pay for or encourage in some way).

Original review: April 11, 2018

DO NOT RENT FROM ADVANTAGE RENT-A-CAR DFW! I rented a car for three days at a rate of $38 a day and ended up paying more than $400! When I said I did not want to buy an insurance they charged me almost $25 a day for a "waiver fee." Get that. I take all the liability upon myself and I have to pay them for it! Then they charged me $50 to "process" $1.72 in toll fees! Stay away from this company that cares nothing for its customers but only for its bottom line.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I pre-paid $314.02 for a reservation. This included all taxes and unlimited mileage. When I arrived, I was offered an upgrade for $135.96 more. Instead, they defrauded me and actually charged $239.74 more than my original reservation. The counter agent lied straight to my face multiple times about these amounts. They double charged for the taxes. After calling their location for more than a week to seek assistance, never actually reaching an agent at the Advantage location at the Denver Airport, after leaving several voicemail messages at their location, with absolutely no reply, I filed a dispute with the credit card company. The problem is, the contract shows their invalid amount... I RECOMMEND NEVER RENTING FROM ADVANTAGE OR E-Z RENT A CAR.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I rented a car through Priceline with my plane tickets. Arrived at the Advantage rental office at DIA at about 9:30 pm. It took almost 2 hours to get to the front of the line to pick up my prepaid car. There were that many people in line and only 2 people working and those 2 kept walking off to do other things. After getting the car we got on the road for our hour long drive to our destination.

The following day it started to snow while we were driving on the freeway, the windshield wipers on the driver side were nonoperative and so I could not see where I was going. Very scary. After getting back to the house I tried calling customer service and could only call a generic 800 number, the individual on the line who answered did not speak fluent English and I had difficulty getting the point across that I needed a replacement car delivered to me. This person could not reach anyone at the DIA office and told me they would send an email to ask them to contact me. I spent the next 4 hours continually calling their 800 number trying to reach someone but was unsuccessful.

The next day I had to get a car that I could drive, so I took a chance and drove back out to DIA to return the car. I was angry that I was forced to drive in unsafe conditions without wipers on the freeway to get the car back because there was no way to reach them by phone. When I arrived, about 10 am, I found 6+ people working, nobody in line and no customers to be seen anywhere. Apparently they overstaff when there are no reservations, and understaff when they know they have large number of reservations. I expressed my anger about being forced to drive there to return a broken car, while doing so, another employee salesperson, hearing my rant said to another co-worker "Geez, what an **." I turned to him and asked him how he would like to have to drive on the freeway in these conditions in one of their cars and he waved me off as an annoyance.

I eventually got a replacement car, but had lost half the day of my vacation doing so, plus the prior day not being able to drive anywhere or do the things that needed to be done because of the car. Extremely dangerous and poor service and quality of vehicle. They were completely unconcerned for my or my family's wellbeing of the fact that my life was in danger while driving their vehicle. Stay away from these people.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I rented a vehicle through carrentals.com and was promised an SUV but when I went to pick it up I was told at the Advantage desk because I had a local address and even though I was taking it on an out of town trip I was not allowed to rent an SUV. I asked for a refund but was told if I read the fine print I would see that I was not only not allowed to rent that vehicle I was also not allowed a refund but if I wanted I could pay for another vehicle. I stated there was no fine print when I rented from carrentals.com but they said that was my fault for not asking them for it. Carrentals.com would also not support my complaint. Also the person that was renting in front of me was told a blatant lie in that out of state insurance would not cover in California and therefore by law they had to purchase the extended insurance coverage on the vehicle. I have rented hundreds of cars before and never seen one that was such a scam.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Sanford, Fl - Do not rent from this location! After a long day of traveling Vicki the location manager was horrible to deal with. She interrupted a conversation I was having with the rental agent and proceeded to belittle me in front of my 11 year old son. The agent Tiarra was also indignant and condescending. I had returned to the rental counter for help after having trouble with what I thought was the car I rented in the parking lot. Neither one offered to get off their butts and to go out to the car and check it out. I was left in tears and to fend for myself until another agent (Kameron) helped me and resolved the issue. It was a horrible experience and will not rent from Advantage again. Those 2 lazy, mouthy, callous employees should be fired.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I rented a Toyota Camry at Advantage through Priceline, they charged me $181 and I wouldn’t have to pay anything else. When I got to Advantage car rental in Denver, CO they told me I should get a 4 wheeler instead of a Camry in case of snowy weather. They told me that for $395 more, on top of the $181 I already paid, I could get a Suburban. When I checked my account they charged me $675 on top of the $181. I called customer service and I had the second worst experience of my life. This is the most useless “help” I’ve ever had. I forgot about all this and 20 days later I have another charge to my account for $26.87. I called again and they said it was a toll violation but couldn’t tell me which. These people just want to steal your money.

Original review: March 28, 2018

On January 31, 2018 I went on carrentals.com. Reserved an SUV from Advantage car rentals because my car broke down that day but as soon as I took my car to my mechanic he fixed it within an hour. So right after I booked my reservation on carrentals.com I cancelled within an hour but they tried to charge me a fee of $50 for canceling within that hour of my booking. Not only did they try to charge me for this fee but when I booked my reservation it asked me whether I wanted insurance on the SUV but I was renting and I check the box yes once. It took me to the page to make the payment and I went ahead and paid for the rental and then they checked me out to a confirmation page which did not include the insurance that I checked yes for. So no matter what I had to cancel this reservation because they lied to me stating that I had insurance and then after when I made the payment there was no insurance added.

I called the company up and asked them why didn’t they add insurance and that I wanted to cancel because of that situation and that’s when they went ahead and tried to charge me $50 to cancel for their mistakes. It’s not about trying, they did charge me $50 and took it out of my credit card and until this day I’m still fighting for that money back and today is March 27, 2018 so it’s been a few months now and they are still trying to take $50 out of my account. I have to call my bank every single time they try to take it out. This is a disgusting company and very dishonest. I Would never recommend this company and I would never rent another car from this company. If I can give less than one star I would but I have no choice but to check the first star. Ugh!! Beware of this company. They are thieves and liars.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Advantage, appropriately named because they will take advantage of you! We rented locally and we were hit with unexpected mileage fees then hit with undefined times under their small print. They made a ton of money off of us in fees and would not reduce even a portion of it. This company is ruthless!

Original review: March 21, 2018

We booked online for a "total amount due at pick-up" of $250.01. The young man working at the counter when we went to pick the car up asked if we wanted insurance. We said no. He said, "OK sign here for the 'waiver'". When he ran our charge the total was $511.64. When we question him about the cost, he said the additional amount would be credited after the car was returned. We asked again when we returned the car and were told it takes a few days to get the credit. What is so frustrating is that was all a lie and the company seems to be ok with that. We would say beware!

Original review: March 19, 2018

I rented a car from Advantage through Hotwire for 108$ for 4 days in Denver. When I went to pick up the car the I agreed to prepaid fuel for drop off. It was not explained to me that I was also signing up for collision insurance. The additional charge I received from Advantage was 175$ on top of the 108$ I paid to Hotwire. I admit I should have reviewed the contract before signing. Still, had the subject of insurance not been grazed over or hidden in the guise of a deposit, I would not have agreed to it.

Original review: March 14, 2018

This lady at the Ft Lauderdale airport was the rudest, unhelpful person I ever came across. She would be fired if she worked for me! We came from Idaho where we don’t have tolls to drive on our highways and she never told us about that we would be charged for tolls. I got a bill charge on my credit card 3 weeks later after we returned the car for 116.88. 16.88 for the tolls and 100.00 administration fee from Advantage! I will never use them again! They rip people off by not informing them of charges. Please save yourself a lot of headaches by going to another car rental! I wrote the Corp office an email when we got to the hotel about how rude she was. We got a 10 percent coupon for next rental! Now I wrote them another email asking for the 100.00 back since the gal never explained about the tolls and am waiting to hear back! Will keep you posted.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Car was rented at Atlanta airport and returned early Friday morning to the spot in the parking garage that indicated returns/Hertz/Advantage rental car. Received a phone call Feb. 12 almost 2 weeks later that the car was going to be reported stolen. Returned to Pittsburgh at 0830 Feb 2nd. Car was in their parking lot the entire time but they were unable to locate it. Were told they would look into it. Was unable to reach anyone at the contact number they left. Multiple messages left on voicemail with no return call. Charged for additional days until they "found" the car. As no one would return calls or answer the phone. Those additional charges were disputed. Charges were again placed.

Contacted customer service who is unwilling to do anything with this as they state car was returned to wrong place even though signage indicated the location car was returned to and attendant stated it was the correct place. Customer service representative would not transfer the call to a supervisor stating that they would not do anything differently. Will never use this company again!!!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I booked a rental car through Priceline. I paid for everything in full (including taxes/fees) so I was only expecting a temporary charge to be placed on my credit card for a deposit. I did have a pending charge placed on my card in the identical amount of my rental fee paid to Priceline. That seemed odd as I expected a round number. The agent at check-in said that it did seem odd but assured me it was just a temporary charge like I expected. Upon returning the car (no issues or extra charges of any kind), the temporary charge became an actual charge... meaning Priceline and Advantage both charged me for the rental car.

I called Advantage, who claimed that Priceline never sent them payment so they had the right to charge me as well. I spoke with 7 different people at Priceline over the course of several weeks who all said that the payment was indeed sent and there was no reason for Advantage to charge me. Priceline, to their credit, tried getting in touch of Advantage (over the phone and through email) but has never heard back... ever. Also, I waited 3 hours in line to get the rental car that I ended up paying double for. Worst rental car experience I've ever had.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I travel to El Paso each and every month for work and this is the absolute last time I ever rent from your company. I have never been treated with such disrespect. Absolutely the last time I ever rent from your Airport location. The reps are crooked and lie in order to upsell you. I made my reservation (**) online and when I went to pick up my vehicle at 1130am on 3/10/2018 they told me that because the type of vehicle I reserved wasn't available they were going to have to charge me an additional fee to put me in a different vehicle. (That's complete **.) Typically if a rental car doesn't have your vehicle they upgrade you as a courtesy especially since I wasn't requesting an upgrade!!!

I explained this to the attendant. I already prepaid the car and since I'm not requesting an upgrade I shouldn't be charged any additional fee, but he was adamant that he was going to charge me an extra fee, if wanted a car. I told him I come to El Paso every month and this has never happened. But he didn't budge and said if I want a car he was going to charge me extra or I could wait a few hours and see if my type of car arrives or cancel!!! WTH kinda options are those??? (I know that these and any upgrade, gas, insurance is commission to the counter.) I was disgusted, I told him to cancel my reservation, and he told me I would have to call the online site I reserved it through.

I walked away and called the online number that's listed for questions or cancellation and THAT REP answered!!! I went back to the counter and told him I was the one that just called!!! He smirked and cancelled my reservation and refunded me the charge. SMH. I went to a different agency got a car with no issue!! So disgusted.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Deceptive Business Practice: Picked up a car at the airport. Was offered an option of an E-ZPass, but not at a per toll rate but at a very expensive per day rate. The only option was to not take it, or pay a high rate for every day of the rental. Not being from the area, (but familiar with East Coast tolls) I talked in detail about my planned travels and use of tolls. We (counter agent and I) agreed that the E-ZPass just did not make sense for my travel plans.

Turns out New Jersey has tolls where there are no toll booths. Photo of license plate gets back to rental agency, who bills back the customer. We never discussed the fact these toll booth-less sites were common. The shocker is that Advantage charges a $25 administration fee for each transaction! They surprise billed me $75. The counter person had to have known this and never informed me. Very profitable for them. Probably trying to spite me for not choosing their overpriced E-ZPass Option. I highly recommend you avoid a company who is in the business of servicing out of town customers by no sharing (to their profit) relevant local information.

Original review: March 6, 2018

We rented a van in Orlando & dealt with a very nice guy at the counter. He asked us if we wanted to upgrade & he told us the differences in the vans so we trusted him & upgraded (ended up being $115 more than original). When we left we went through a toll, paid, then when we got to the booth the toll workers said we do not need to stop and pay, that our vehicle had a pass & the rental company would add it to our charges. I checked online & it said Advantage has a program that automatically charges you and you don't need to enroll, so we continued on our way.

Returning the car was great. Everyone was pleasant & helpful. Now 1 month later I get a charge for $190! I sat on hold over an hour 2 different times only to be told they have no record of us & hung up on me! I'm trying to get someone to work with us but it looks like they hid something about the tolls in very fine print & we are just screwed out of $200. I had already recommended them to friends & family because I thought it was such a great experience & now I am making sure they all do not use this company! Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Do not rent your car from here! We waited 30 minutes for the pick-up shuttle at the airport. This was at 9:30 pm in February temperatures were 10 degrees. The other rental car companies had multiple buses running. After we got picked up we were told that there was a "Traction Law" in effect. The customer service agent gave us a 4-wheel drive car. Told is it would be no additional cost for 4 days. The first car we were given (Rav-4) had the passenger door handle break off when we tried opening the door. As such, were then given a second car, which ran out of wiper fluid on the drive up into the mountains at 10:30 at night while it was snowing. We were driving Interstate 70W. The mud that was kicked up from the road onto the windshield made it near impossible to see and the wiper fluid ran out. There were no gas stations on Loveland Pass where we could get replacement fluids. Very dangerous drive without wiper fluids.

We returned the car after 4 days and were charged an additional $400 (double the price we booked online) for the car that was supposed to be provided due to the Traction Law. Customer Service did not indicate there would be a charge of this amount and when we disputed the charge it was claimed that we did not read the contract. Denver management has refused to take my calls to discuss my frustration and refused to refund the $400. I won't use this rental car location again and neither should you.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I'm a client of yours, a lawyer in Brazil, and I'm writing this message, at least for an answer. I come in contact because although I am a customer of you I had a serious disgust in my recent experience with Advantage. On my trip this month to the United States, I made two locations. One of a Chevrolet CAMARO for 7 days, and one of a KIA SOUL. What impressed me was that the location of the Chevrolet CAMARO. I delivered the car more than 2 hours ahead of schedule, and yet the amount provided in my contract was charged in the same way as the forecast.

But, on the contrary, in the location of the KIA SOUL I had an unforeseen transit and my delivery was delayed at 01:30 am, and I had the DOBRO of the expected payment on my credit card. I will contact you to find out if this is a good idea, as I would not have to present this report on the relevant travel sites

in communities where I can report this. In a high-value location like CAMARO, I did not have any discount on my delivery before the deadline. But did I deliver the Kia Soul 1:30 late and BEND my payment? 100% rate? This is absurd! I would love to hear from you. Wait. Thank you so much.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I clicked on a rental for a Jeep Liberty (or similar vehicle). Jeep Liberties are 4 wheel drive vehicles. This rental was at the Denver airport in the middle of winter. When my wife arrived at the rental location, they told her a similar vehicle was not 4 wheel drive. They upcharged her more than double for a Toyota Highlander. I didn't want her driving in the snow through the mountains without 4WD. When I called customer service, they told me I would have to contact the Denver location. THEN THEY TOLD ME THEY DID NOT HAVE THE NUMBER FOR THE DENVER LOCATION and would have to have them call me back. Unbelievable!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Horrible. Scam, dishonest people working for Advantage car rental. My daughter booked a car 12 days in advance for me. When I called to verify the time they stated she has to be there in order for me to pick up the car. The agent advised me to cancel the reservation. When I attempted to cancel they inform that I will not get a refund. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

A company that fully takes advantage of your tiredness after a long trip. We booked the car weeks in advance just to arrive at the airport and be told that there are no cars available and they will have one for us in about 2 hours. We left the airport in a taxi. Barely made it on the freeway just to be told that they now have a car for us. We returned and started the paperwork. We were asked whether we needed insurance, I declined because we have cover through our travel insurance at which they told us that we still needed to purchase a compulsory insurance in Florida for approx $200 (we've rented after from reputable companies... and none have charged us for the 'compulsory insurance').

We were also told that they will need a deposit from the CC for approx $250 and that would be returned after the rental. We've returned to Australia and still waiting on that money. When we contacted them we were told that it could take up to 30 days for reimbursement. We were upgraded to an SUV at no cost (according to the agent, but in saying that is the same agent that charged us the compulsory insurance) so who knows what else will come out of our CC. I wish there was minus stars to be able to rate this company. If you are reading this review and think of renting from Advantage, please take the money that they are asking you for the car rental, burn it and then go to another company because you will be better off.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Please, do not fall for the low prices neither for the "bono" that they offer to you! Before the rental everything is great, awesome, wonderful! BUT, after you return the car you get charge for tax that you didn't know about in your credit card! Easy way to get your money from you! OH! The best part is that they charge you for a "violation" that supposedly you committed but they don't send any copy of it. You can't really know if you actually committed a violation but you pay for it anyway! Great, isn't it!? The car was good though.. lol. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

When I picked up a rental car at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix on February 4, I was asked if I wanted to buy extra car insurance, I said no as I already carry car insurance. Ken then put the extra car insurance on the contract anyway, even though I had declined it. I didn't read all the fine print on the contract and went ahead and signed it. Although I called Advantage to dispute the extra charge they insisted I had agreed to pay $200.00. I was deliberately misled and tricked into a fraudulent agreement. I will never rent from this company again, and I would discourage anyone else from doing so as well.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Advantage was the cheapest car rental company on multiple websites but in actuality it was much more expensive than I expected. I must have paid about $100 a day for an economy car rental for 4 days. Part of the reason was that I reluctantly agreed to purchase the car insurance that they almost forced me to buy. I refused the agent 4 times, but I gave up then and said 'OK'. I should have even considered this company.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information