3.17/5

823 Advantage Rent-A-Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I had a real shocker to find when I got to the Advantage/E-Z Rent-a-Car office that I had no reservation. I had made it with a company called Easyrental, nonexistent, instead. So, there I was, ready to visit my son and his family and no car. Julio **, the manager, stepped up and with Jasmine's help, they got me a nice car at a good rate right then and there. The car was great. The drop off was a breeze and I did not have to have a stroke, thanks to the great customer service. I cannot thank them enough and I WILL use your services again!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We had nothing but helpful friendly staff and advice at Orlando airport. The Toyota Corolla we were given was new and freshly cleaned and when we had to return the car early due to a family emergency the lady in reception was warm and caring. They only charged us for the time that we had had the car for. I would have no hesitation in using them again. Thank you to everyone at Advantage.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Advantage Rent-A-Car in Vegas Airport. We had the car, a Toyota Camry, for a whole week and had an excellent time. Put 2500 miles on it, mostly at 8K feet or more while traveling the Canyons. Service was terrific from the front desk to the garage to the return. Thank you!

Original review: June 6, 2018

My experience with this company is going to contradict several of the reviews I have come across on this site. I rented a car at the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. Immediately, I was greeted with excellent and expeditious customer service. I was provided with a full size 2018 Kia Optima. (White in color - which was a nice touch considering the heat in Arizona!) Unlimited miles. The vehicle was in pristine condition, low mileage, and smelled like it was just driven off the lot. It was examined by staff prior to my departure and I had a full tank of gas.

Returning the vehicle was an equally speedy and painless experience, and after checking off the level of gas, and condition of vehicle, I signed a paper acknowledging the terms of the contract. I received my deposit of $200 in less than 24 hours without incident. All I can say is review the contract terms, be confident in what it is you are looking for with your rental experience, and voice that. I would like to commend Tara for a job well done. We will be repeating our business with Advantage Rent-A-Car again.

Original review: May 24, 2019

What else can I say, overcharged, surprise fees and they will NOT respond to my requests for communication. It's sad consumers and basic economics can't open up a better and more transparent hassle-free car renting service. You have another option, TURO.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: May 23, 2019

So friends, remember that amazing post about how amazing it was to land in Denver, get a new rental car, etc. Well... Advantage Car Rental is HORRIBLE! We were prepaid through Hotwire with insurance! We just received a charged for $167. They are claiming we returned it empty (it was half full) and you can clearly see by our picture and the documentation from Advantage that it was empty when we first picked it up. They also snuck on an additional insurance charge without us knowing. So if you are traveling and if you have any other option, I would suggest you take it. They hurried us along so fast which I thought was nice but now realize that they were finding every opportunity to screw us over. The gentleman on the phone wasn't rude but basically said prove it and we will see if we drop any charges. Learn from our mistake! Don't trust a company with no customer service and a will to deceive. ????

Original review: May 21, 2019

Booked a rental 1.5 months in advance for a midsize SUV. Arrived to pick up vehicle and was immediately asked if I wanted to pay to upgrade to a convertible. After declining, I was advised that there were no SUVs avail and was offered a minivan. Why bother making a reservation in advance? I did not want a minivan. I had no other choice to take the van...very disappointed. I will never use this company as they cannot fulfill their customers request.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Rented a car from Orlando Airport as we have done many times before. Guy at the counter asked if we wanted the “Fuel Purchase Option”. Just bring the car back without filling up and they will charge a certain price to fill it back up. They don’t tell you they charge for a full tank of gas no matter how the tank reads when you bring it back. We brought it back over half a tank full and they charged us $50 for a full tank of gas. Called customer service and were basically told “too bad” even when we told them that’s not how the Fuel Purchase Option was explained to us. Will NEVER rent from this company again.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Representative repeatedly stated how “busy” they got so he started talking quickly and asking questions without relating everything. He was asking was charging us extra!!! Him: “Did you want to add a driver to make it easier for you?” Extra $40. Him: “Basic coverage or extended?” Didn’t know I didn’t have to choose one. Extra $91. Him “Just bring it back empty, we’ll take care of it for you.” Only used 1/3 of a tank. Extra $44. Him: “The toll roads are all over the place, people don’t realize that”. We went through 1. Extra $29. Him: “Wow, we just got busy. I’ll go through this as quick as I can.” There were 3 people behind us and initialing on the credit card machine does not allow you to review your charges.

I have filled out their survey and got a standard response ("Sorry you didn’t have a good experience"). Unless I’m refunded some of what they stole from me, this is by far, the worst car rental I’ve experienced. I was manipulated into being overcharged by the associate, which I now think they train them to do.

Original review: May 19, 2019

On 5/16/19 went to the Advantage Chicago O'Hare location to pick up RESERVED minivan to move my daughter home from college. Was informed all minivans and larger vehicles had been given out. Was offered a compact car instead. I asked what could be done; was told "They could do nothing" and other rental companies might have a same-day rental minivan. I asked what would happen if I was there with 5 children off a flight for vacation. Told same answer because "They had no minivans; nothing they could do". Staff was not rude just matter of fact. Apparently this is Advantage's normal business practice. Never will I reserve a car from them again- BEWARE.

Original review: May 17, 2019

FORT MYERS, left glasses hanging on visor. Brand new gift from daughter. They were hanging on driver side visor. You could not of missed them. They were never listed in lost and found. Honest people right, wrong. Gas tank was little over 3/4 full. Early morning flight. No one there to shuttle you to airport until 4:45. No way to contact the branch office. Other people waiting in lot had to contact Uber to make their flight. We 6 people waiting frantically for someone to show up. Finally got to the airport by 5 am. Flight leaves at 6 am. This has to be the worst rental service we have ever encountered. Never again will we use Advantage and will be in contact with Priceline for referring this company. Only good thing about this was the man behind the counter was polite.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Save your toll receipts! Watch out for their toll scam! I rented a car from them and specifically told I DID NOT want to use their transponder for tolls. I paid cash for all my tolls specifically because I didn't want to pay $10/day for tolls (which I would get charged for even if I wasn't using tolls that day). I get home and they charged me a $50 "convenience fee" on top of the tolls I already paid cash for. In order to have the toll charges removed they require ME to prove that I paid cash. Now I have to appeal to Florida Dept of Transportation to get that proof. A huge waste of my time! Turns out this is standard practice. Florida DOT was not surprised when I reached out to them.

Original review: May 11, 2019

BEWARE!!! BEWARE!!! BEWARE!!! Advantage Car Rental at Denver International Airport is a bait & switch operation - Fraudulent and not worth your time. Booked car for 7am pickup, company changed my pickup time to 12 noon when I received email itinerary. Advantage refused to fix their mistake, refund my money and wanted $200 more to change time back to what I asked for originally. There it is folks, you were warned!

Original review: May 11, 2019

Lordy, never again! I rented via Expedia because they seemed cheaper. Little did I know they only hired one staff for peak rental times, causing an hour delay in rental. Then she had to pressure me to upgrade to either a Jeep (250 extra for 10 days) or a minivan (110 extra for 10 days). We declined, but I wanted my husband to be a second driver. No mention of the additional 95 USD charge so we didn't know about it until we looked at the rental agreement which they did not review with us. Extra 200 USD deposit in case we brought back the car "excessively sandy" with no definition of what would merit these extra charges. This is a scam company, with fake cheapness and real upcharges. Evil. Don't do it! Rent from a reliable company like Dollar/Thrifty.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I wish I had come here first instead of going to Priceline to rent a car from these jokers. Although the pickup experience was really good in OKC, and the car was really nice with the exception of a few minor scratches which I documented I was told that there was a $200 holding charge on my cc and a small fee of $45 in case I didn't return the car on full. So after using the car for a week and only putting about 150 miles on it I filled the tank and as the car rental place didn't open until 8 am and my flight left at 6:45 I dropped the keys off at their counter as instructed by the night watchman.

I then received an invoice about 4 hours later showing the $200 was refunded back to my cc (they didn't release it to my cc company for a week) but they said I returned the car on empty. After making 4 different calls I finally was able to speak with someone who understood English and helped me file a complaint. Which I was told I would receive an answer in 24 hours. After 3 days I called back again and was told I needed to send them a copy of my receipt for the gas which I did. That was a week ago. I finally called back again today and was told that my receipt was not a valid receipt so my claim was denied. What a great company huh?

Original review: May 9, 2019

Our rental was not ready as promised and agreed to a lesser vehicle as we were in a hurry. Mislead about fuel prices and charged for full tank of gas with no refunds and only used half a tank. Shayonna stated that we would be charged after we returned it for gas prices "20 cents" less than outside of the airport. What a deal, right?! I will never use this company again. Attempted to get clarification without success! I could have spent the extra $60 dollars I was charged and gotten the car I actually rented, at the time I booked at a rental agency that doesn't lie and cheat its customers.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I would give this company zero stars if I could. Worse customer service I have ever seen. I originally booked this reservation and pre-paid on Priceline. When I first got to Advantage I was pleasantly surprised by the customer service and how quickly I was helped. The associate even offered me a free upgrade. I did not have my reading glasses at the time so I couldn't hardly see what I was signing but I specifically stated to the associate that I wanted to decline any additional coverage as I was already covered under my personal insurance. The associate said not a problem, told me where to initial and sign. As he gave me the print out, I asked what the charges were for and he told me that they were just a temporary hold/deposit on my debit card for incidentals and it would fall off my account a few days after I returned the vehicle. Come to find out, that was a lie.

After returning the vehicle, my account was charged $170 the next day. When he said I was signing the damage waiver, which I believed waived my rights to coverage, he was actually getting me to sign an agreement to pay an additional fee of $30/DAY. I attempted calling customer service multiple times with little to no help. They supposedly opened a "complaint ticket" with no follow-up. They also refused multiple requests to let me speak to a manager or supervisor. They essentially told me, "Sorry there is nothing we can do about it." I guess they are perfectly fine scamming their customers out of money. I feel like I was completely taken advantage of and I will never be using this company again.

Original review: May 7, 2019

My first experience renting a car from Advantage (through Priceline) will also certainly be my last. First, I had to wait in line for two hours at the Phoenix airport before being helped because their computer system slowed down. Then, the employee tried talking me into a paid upgrade from my economy car citing that it would not perform well enough for my trip, when I refused because of gas prices, I was finally told that no economy cars were available and I would need to be given an upgrade to a minivan. The upgrade was free, but it cost a lot more in gas which is why I reserved an economy car in the first place.

Finally, I was never notified about the price that I would be ** over gas if I brought it back not full. I was charged $163.24 for 3/4 of a tank of gas. I was never notified that it would cost $8.99 per gallon on return when I picked it up. The employee was arguing with me when I asked about a discount on gas after being forced into a non-economy rental. The customer support over the phone was rude with me when I called to complain. I must say that I feel very taken Advantaged of!

Original review: May 6, 2019

I had no issues with booking, pick up and drop off, all that was great and the staff were very friendly. It wasn't until I read over my drop-off rental record and saw I was charged an extra day when the car was only 26 min late. I called the customer service number and was told I would receive a refund of the two differences - fine. But, not explained what it was for or why I was charged for an extra day and not just the 26 min more. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor and the call was disconnected.

I called back and spoke to someone else and had the same troubles. I was told that there were no managers on hand for me to speak to, then that one was in a meeting and a call. Then that I'd have to wait for 3 hrs to speak to a manager. I was already frustrated and to top it off, I was then later accused of trying to abuse the system to have the money refunded to me... So naturally, you just become angry when treated like this. Sadly, nothing was solved for me on the call. I wrote an email to the customer service team, but after my experience, I have zero faith that things will be explained or resolved correctly. Next time, I'll go with a company I've actually heard of.

Original review: May 6, 2019

We rented a car through Priceline for $177, unlimited mileage for 5 days in Atlanta. When my wife went to pick up the car she was informed there was a "new policy" calling for a charge of 55 cents per mile for anything over 150 miles. She told the agent at the counter to forget the rental and she moved down to Enterprise where she rented a car in about 5 minutes. Nowhere in the contract did it state that there would be any additional charges for mileage over 150 miles. And, in Atlanta one can easily put 150 miles on a car in just one day. I have a little problem with Priceline in that they did provide any notice of such tactics by Advantage, but Priceline customer service did take care of the last minute cancellation and any charges that the rental car company may have attempted to make.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Advantage Rent-Wreck! Warning!!! This location rent cars without hubcaps! The manager Christian did not care that they offered me a car with NO hubcaps. Then they offered me a second car with one hubcap. I told him that I did not go to Rent-a-Wreck. I thought that I came to a reputable company. He said since it doesn't have a mechanical issue, I would have to select from the two cars without hubcaps. I was very angry since I had already prepaid months ago. Also, the customer service is the worst! I stood in line for an unnecessary long time. They spent approximately 30 minutes with each customer. Perhaps those customers had junky cars too.

I called the number Christian said was the corporate office 800-777-5500. I spoke to Glenn who said they can only take a complaint and send it to the location manager. I told her that Christian is the location manager and he doesn't care at all about accommodating customers. When I asked her for the corporate number, she said they don't have access to that number. Advantage Rent a Car is a rent-wreck place, Stay away from it!

Original review: May 5, 2019

My husband and I rented from Advantage twice and both times they charged us for services we did not agree to. The first time we paid online and when we picked up the car they asked about insurance and prepaid gas. We denied both. When we returned the vehicle and asked for a receipt, they had charged our credit card for insurance and prepaid gas. We had to fight the charges and they reversed it. The second time they charged our credit card for $56 for prepaid gas. We denied the charges but they will not reverse. My husband returned the vehicle a day early and full of gas, yet they charged us $56. They are a company that does not have integrity. They refuse to reverse the charges. I will never rent from them again because they are of of integrity.

Original review: May 2, 2019

After you say you want to use EZ Toll Pass, they do NOT tell you what it costs. I wrongly assumed this was so you could use the EZ Pass lanes and the tolls would be on your bill. WRONG! You pay $9.99/Day to use this, whether or not you drive through any tolls. You initial a small digital screen that does have the fee on it if read all the small print. As you are being hurried off, the fee also appears on the paper they give you along with 15 other items. I guess you need to wait in line and spend the 10 minutes reading all the details, while all the other people behind you wait until you are done. Called to complain and CSR said I initialed the screen so I accepted the charges. Bad Customer service, bad way to treat your income stream. Never again!

Original review: April 30, 2019

This happened on April 24th 2019 - I was on a Government Federal Travel - I had to choose lowest compact economy for our travels going to Pentagon, VA from CHS ...I choose American airlines and it was booked through Federal CWT SATO Travel agency for military people... I went to off site shuttle stop at 21:03 PM and they showed up at 22:23 pm because it seems the guy states there was only one driver - does that mean customer has to suffer - Is this the rude and he did not care nor to help at the counter whereas the guy in the gate who was from Afghanistan even they may not like Asian Indians he was highly helpful and good person. God's grace touch wood.

According to BBB - there was several complaints. First we need to call the 407 number. The guy picked up. Must be speaking Spanish. He could not understand a single word - he tells, "Are you talking about Dispute?" then he states, "Are you talking about Business?" He also tells there is no manager - which is total blatant lie - lack of honesty, integrity and ethics, policy of the company.

This kind of issues should not be tolerated ever and treated to DOD customer or President's Cricle. In Hertz never had a complaint, then Enterprise Gold customer... This is the reason to deal with low paid does not give good serivce nor care. There is no number to call either. DCA rental agency nor the President office - we cannot reach at all - there is no one to help on that - so there is no other way other than sending through BBB - hopefully it goes to President's office ADVOCO or so. Would like to discuss in person or on the phone with Executive office locally who can speak English proper and who can understand proper like Scott. It states - similar to that - other person does not understand - they should compensate for all these time, money and circumstances during my office tenure.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Every aspect was an issue.. I had to walk across the airport to an elevator and then across to the other side of the airport where they kept the full size cars. When I got there he gave me paperwork and told me to come back if there was an issue.. The car was all smashed up on the passenger side and I told him I didn't want a car that had been in an accident. He gave me another car and it was diesel so had to go back again and then the 3rd car was ok. Returning the car was once again an extremely long walk to the opposite side of the airport. It's not fun when you have luggage and after traveling you have to deal with stuff like this. Won't use Advantage again!

Oh and I had to go through a toll off the exit because it was not manned by anyone so I called Florida's Turnpike immediately and they told me I could send in the $1.25 so I did right away! She said, "Call your rental car company and let them know." I did and it took me 3 days to get through, when I pressed 2 like it said it hung up. I finally got through to the toll department and she said there is nothing she can do, I will probably get a fine by Advantage... Good and I'm probably damn sure I won't pay it! I'll fight it with my CC company!

Original review: April 28, 2019

A third party booking site that quoted me an attractive two day rate assigned me to Advantage Rent-A-Car. I paid the third party upfront $91 and was told I would only have a $40 local tax charge through Advantage at the LAS airport. The Advantage agent seemed suspicious as there was no greeting when we walked to the counter. I handed him my DL and confirmation. He said they had to put a $200 hold on my card for the rental? and he went through the disclosures in the contract, which I declined any additional coverages. He has me sign and initial several times on a touch pad.

Two days later I checked my credit card and was charged another $141. I immediately contacted Advantage and they said they would review and get back to me. They never responded to me until I called back a month later. They said the reason for 100 overcharge was I signed up for additional vehicle coverage, case closed! Now I will be contacting BBB and their corporate management for the bait & switch.

Original review: April 25, 2019

So I rented a car from Advantage in Kauai and they added a $200 deposit. The car was trashed, dirty, wrecked and a mess. We marked the sheet for all the dents and scratches and took off. When we arrived back, the attendant came out and in 2 seconds pointed to the windshield and said there's a ding! It was obvious she already knew about the ding and observed that we had not marked it on the sheet. We never looked at the windshield when we inspected it but we know we did not get a ding. They charged us the full $200 for the ding! I am working with my credit card company to have it removed but DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM THESE BAD PEOPLE!!!

Original review: April 24, 2019

I rented a car through Priceline, which got to be Advantage Rent-A-Car, when I got there, she told me I would be upgraded to a Yukon with NO EXTRA CHARGE. Then ran my credit card for $468, when I already paid Priceline $168 for the week. Then I was charged for tolls and she told me to bring it back empty, which I'm sure I paid for that too. She assured me that that amount was just a deposit! Needless to say I paid over $600 for a rental. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS PLACE!!!!

Original review: April 23, 2019

Rented a car via Priceline. Paid 211.70. Upon arrive they told me they were gonna upgrade me at no additional charge. I didn’t ask for upgrade and only agreed because they said it was free. Then they also charged me again for an additional week? When I called to ask what happened they claimed they didn’t have any record of Priceline making the reservation or payment from Priceline for the rental??? They also told me I was lying about the upgrade being free. This company will scam you into additional charges. DO NOT RENT FROM ADVANTAGE!!!

Original review: April 22, 2019

I rented a Hyundai Elantra from the San Francisco Airport location for 4 days on December 10, 2019 and returned it with a full tank of gasoline purchased about 2 blocks from the rental facility. A few day later I received a charge on my credit card in addition to the rental fee for $141 and change. When I contacted them asking to send my Credit card statement showing the purchase, I was given a lot of runaround about how and where to send documentation. I later called my credit card company to reverse the charge and sent proof of the purchase. The charge was reversed and I had not received any additional correspondence until April 22, 2019 a bill was sent to my home address seeking payment. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. PERIOD.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information