Advantage Rent-A-Car

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Annemarie of Astoria, NY on

It is NYS law to accept my insurance ID card to rent a car. We even purchased additional rental insurance which specifically states the insurance purchased is sufficient and not to purchase anymore. The man at the counter insisted I needed to show him my policy and didn't even offer to purchase. I have rented cars countless times and never had this problem. This company is a complete scam.

Janet of Miami Beach, FL on

After 24 hours car rental and no issue with the car return, this Company kept my deposit for two weeks. After two months of this experience they charged me $30.00 dollars "ADMINISTRATION FEE" on the top of a toll value (toll cost 0.79 cents). Who says all the thieves are in jail?

Kathy of Belton, MO on

My mom passed. We were having funeral in Jacksonville Fl. when called and made reservations. We needed 3 minivans under one name. Got it all set up. No problem. Till we got to Jacksonville. They did not have three vans and could care less about our reservations and we realize one person cannot drive three vans at one time. We needed under one name so one person was paying for it all. Reservation people said no problem till we got to Jacksonville. I had to ask other family members to put up their money to pay for the other minivan and one suv and when the idiot said he did not have three vans he just sat there did not say “let's see if we can fix this” or “we don't have three minivans but we have some subs.” We will not use this company again.

Jennifer of Flagstaff, AZ on

I had to travel quickly for my grandfather's funeral, and my 2-year old daughter came with me. After a long day of travel, I just wanted to pick up the car that I had pre-paid for online. I was asked about insurance and I said I had my own insurance. The desk clerk said "So, just the basic insurance." At this point, my daughter was crying that she was hungry and tired. I said yes. He directed me to initial a bunch of lines on this barely readable screen, telling me to initial and then move the arrow down to read the rest. He notified me that there would be a $200 hold placed on my credit card - okay fine. Never once was I told about additional charges, and I was so exhausted and grief-stricken that I didn't bother to read through each line of the contract.

About 5 miles after leaving the airport, the "Maintenance Required" light came on. The mileage corresponded to needing an oil change, so I just left it. I had the car a few days as I drove to my grandfather's funeral and spent time with family. Upon returning the car, I was notified that I would be charged more than double the rate expected because of PAYING for THEIR basic insurance. I asked the guy that I returned the car to, and he said it wasn't his thing. He also completely blew off the maintenance light. I contacted customer service and they were no help. "You initialed on the contract". I replied back with a full explanation and mentioned how I felt completely swindled. No response AT ALL. I will NEVER do business with Advantage Rent-A-Car again, and you should think twice before you do.

Nan of Leesburg, VA on

This was such a bad experience for so many different reasons: The agent at the desk lied to us about tolls. He told us that there was no way to pay a toll other than through Advantage and gave us a choice of paying Advantage $25 each time we went through a toll or an extra $10 per day for a smart tag. There IS a way to pay a toll online within 5 days with no penalty so the smart tag is unnecessary. They gave us a car with a slow leak in the tire. After filling it up several times the first day, we became concerned and called in. They said that if the tire became flat, we would be responsible for repairing it (no roadside assistance!) so we should bring it back to them right away if we wanted to avoid a flat. We did that - drove straight out to LAX to drop it off and get a new car.

When we got there they charged us the gas premium for not filling the tank before we turned the car in! You would think they would waive that since they told us to come straight back in order to avoid a flat! When we asked to talk to a manager a very snarky guy came out -- was extremely rude and basically said he didn't care if we were happy with Advantage or not. They lied to us about insurance. Said we had to pay it through them even though we had already bought a policy through Alliance. Total amount of L.A. rental through Hotwire with all the charges they added on was DOUBLE the advertised price.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Marvin of El Dorado Hills, CA on

Rented a car in Phoenix. Got a great rate. No complaints there. When I showed up at the rental counter to pick up my car I had to wait over an hour. At least 30 people waiting in line with very few company representatives checking people in. Charge a couple dollars more for your car rental and hire some more people. This is not rocket science.

Scott of Tonawanda, NY on

Never having rented from Advantage before I was impressed with their low price for a mid sized SUV at Houston's IAH location. My good impressions basically stopped there. I was asked where I was traveling to and I stated "Galveston". Not being familiar with the Texas Highway/Interstate system I had no idea which roads required tolls. I was told by the salesperson at the counter that I'd encounter "numerous tolls" throughout the week in that area. So I reluctantly agreed to the $9.99/week toll pass. It wasn't needed once!!! Next I was told that my NY insurance and/or credit card insurance wasn't accepted in Texas. I was told that I had to purchase the minimum insurance program at $13.99 per day. Again, I feel this was a flat out lie after doing further research. But at 10 PM on a Saturday I didn't have the time or patience to google for answers.

Also, they wanted to charge another $13.99 to add my wife as a driver. Since she was at baggage claim I said, "She can go without driving this week." I then went to find the vehicle which was a Jeep Compass. No disrespect to Compass owners but this vehicle couldn't get out of its own way. Terrible acceleration and a very suspect transmission. To top it off (Literally) the next day as Gulf salt water spray hit the windshield I found out the wiper fluid was empty! That's basic maintenance Advantage! I had to purchase some fluid at the nearest gas station in order to see clearly through the windshield. So, if you want to be lied to, drive a sub par vehicle without basic maintenance go ahead and rent from them!

Karen of Lacey, WA on

So, on my trip to celebrate a family event, I selected Advantage through carrental.com to reserve a vehicle for a trip to Vegas. I paid the one week rate of 120.02 based on a $17.99 daily fee and taxes. When I arrived to pick up the car, they did not have the vehicle I selected and offered me a larger vehicle at the same price. I repeated, "At the same price of $17.99 per day." When I checked out and received my contract provided digitally without a hard copy to review, I was charged an additional $15.00 a day for upgrade fee and for full insurance coverage instead of what was required to cover the vehicle. Disappointed, I wanted the contract changed to remove optional insurances and the upgrade fee.

Long story short, I was told they could not make changes to the contract and I had to return the vehicle before initiating another contract the following day when I returned to have corrections made. I was charged $149.00 and not credited my original $120.02 for 1 day car rental. WTH! I would never go to Advantage again. I filed a claim with my credit card and charges were reversed immediately. Have you checked billing for services paid for via registration and balanced them against the final billing? I would consider it to make sure the business is not taking advantage of you.

Paula of New Richmond, WI on

We rented a car through Hotwire in Orlando for March 21-28. The reservation ended up being through Advantage. We had never rented through them before and definitely won't again! Don't ever use these people. The guy in Orlando named Jose was such a jerk. He got all bent out of shape because we didn't do any of his high pressure sales gimmicks with the car rental. He tried to sell us a "toll pass" for $9.99 a day and said we would need it for our trip to the Atlantic coast. We weren't sure if we would need it because we were vacationing but declined it just based on the price and were we ever glad. What he was going to charge us $80.00 for cost us $4.00 for the week.

He continued repeating that we needed to purchase the insurance to cover us if we had an accident and we said we had insurance and he tried scare tactics to get us to purchase additional insurance. I could go on and on about how bad this person was that provided our service on Tuesday, March 21st in Orlando but the most important thing to know is that you should never rent a car from these crooks! They are unbelievable with how they treat their customers; especially the ones who are smarter than they hope and they can't rip them off! Stay away from Advantage!

Patricia of Paranaque, Other on

I do not mind the long wait, the lousy car, the slow service. But NO SERVICE on a price I paid extra for - totally unacceptable! I originally booked online but when I picked up the minivan I rented last Dec 27, 2016, my husband and I opted pay "additional" $304.22 for insurance with roadside assistance. Fine, it's the price I'm willing to pay for peace of mind and to make sure my family will be safe on a very long journey. But renting with them proved to be a disaster! We had a tire blow up in the middle of the freezing night on a freeway. I called the 24 hr roadside assistance number on my rental agreement and since it was 2 a.m., they told me to call 911!

I then called Advantage "Customer Service" to try to get some help. Customer service then told me to get the spare tire and fix it myself! Yes, customer service told me to let all the passengers out of the van in the pitch black-freezing-out of nowhere place since spare tire is under the passenger chairs. But I told them I was travelling with my 2 children and my elderly mom on a wheelchair. They told me that's all they can do for me - to point out the location of the spare tire and do it myself! Thanks to my brother who drove all the way to help us out. Upon opening the huge doors of the van to get all our passengers out, the strong freezing wind blew up everything inside including our toll ticket! We had to pay higher toll than the normal.

Then, when we finally changed the tire, everyone was coughing their lungs out! We even bought a brand new tire since the old tire was no longer serviceable. We had no choice since we had a long way to go. Good thing the owner of the shop who fixed our tire and where we bought the new tire was very kind enough to accommodate us even if his shop was still closed. I e-mailed and wrote on their web complain section several times... Although one guy called on January 10th and he did apologise but I had to cut the call short and told him to call again since I was inside the airplane for a return flight and had to turn my mobile off... Never did I hear from him or anybody ever since! I tried to e-mail them several times but nothing - not even a computer generated answer. And to think I rented and paid almost $1,000 to a supposedly reputable company - what a waste! An Advantage turned DIS-advantage renting here. Total disaster!

Juliana of Kissimmee, FL on

I returned my car at MIAMI International Airport. Forgot my phone inside. As soon as I realize I tried to call their office in the airport. THEY NEVER PICK UP THE PHONE. No one on customer service CAN'T also reach them. Customer Service is located in GUATEMALA, as said by the supervisor. Also he told me he couldn't do anything because he was in another country. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. TERRIBLE!!!

Stephen of Larkspur, CO on

Please double check any minor car damages in both the body and the windshield when using these guys and mark it on your inspection report. In fact I would take 15 minutes or more and mark ever tiny microscopic imperfection on the checkout report, even if it holds up the checkout line. They take advantage (no pun intended) of a dark rental garage to anticipate that you will miss something, which will allow them to charge you for repairs. Advantage charged us for a small gravel pit on the windshield when we returned the car. We had to do a double take for them to point this out, which was difficult to see among the other dozens or more of sand and gravel pits in this windshield.

As far as I am concerned they picked out one, which had an extremely small minor star pit and said "This is yours"! I guess it was about time for them to get a new windshield for the sand and gravel environment of Phoenix and I happened to be the lucky guy they picked for this job. I have rented all over the world and have never run into this type of situation. One star is too much for the underhanded treatment these guys give customers.

Sam of Marion, AL on

On March 13 we rented a car from Advantage Rent A Car at the Denver International Airport, reservations made per options available on the American Express travel website. Van/ground transportation service from the Airport was very prompt and that is where the "good" ended. Upon entering the rental facilities the zig-zag line was wrapped around to the door entrance. After a 1 hour 25 minute wait we were finally seen by an Advantage associate. Our assigned rental car was filthy, front to back, top to bottom with road spray from prior rentals. I have rented hundreds cars from Japan to Europe and the U.S. and have never had such deplorable service, both in customer wait times and quality and cleanliness of the rental. If I could give them a negative 5 stars I would!

Kevin of Canonsburg, PA on

I rented a vehicle in Houston TX while on business. Everything went smoothly until I got home and got the bill and received a phone call. They made a false damage claim that I broke the car handle but can't provide any evidence. Then I checked my credit card statement and they charged me an extra $50 for refueling. Best part about this was they gave me 3/4 of a tank and I returned the car with a full tank. As all this controversy began I came to realize that they never did a walk around during pick up or drop off. Avoid this company and pay the extra money for a reputable brand.

sperri of North Potomac, MD on

Was online well over two hours. Even though I had a contract they charged me almost double. I couldn't get through to the "parent company" third party biller but the person that took the message there said I was correct. Everyone was having the same problem thus the very long lines. The absolute worst.

Rosie of Washington Court House, OH on

First, I was given a car to drive for 10 days that had a maintenance required light on it. When I go to check out before leaving the rental car building the inspecting agent even told me to turn around and get another car. When I turned around to get a new car, Alexander at the Sky Harbor Airport, was very nasty and told me "to just drive it lady, it is fine!" I don't drive my personal car with any dashboard lights on so why would I pay a daily rate to drive a car with a dashboard light on. I requested a discount and Alexander said he would give me one. So when I returned the car, you guessed it, there was no discount on the car. I questioned Alexander about it and he became very hostile and was yelling at me. This was horrible customer service.

So when I arrived home I contacted the customer service and the first gentleman I spoke with was only authorized to give me a small discount ($84 for a $640 bill) and said it was a 20% discount. Ha... Far from 20% on the entire bill. I then asked to speak with his manager and I was told he would have to call me back within 24-48 hours. Well Curtis did call me back and offered another $40 but said the car was fine and didn't understand why I was upset. I explained to him I was driving in the mountains and I wasn't comfortable with any dashboard lights on. Again, he talk down to me and didn't admit any wrong. In the end, he didn't even give me the additional $40 off that he had offered. I have rented from lots of different car rental companies and had very good service from them. I will NEVER rent again from Advantage!!!

Michael of Fort Worth, TX on

I reserved an Advantage Car using the Orbitz website. Price was good. When I arrived at the airport to get the car, I was told that the policy for local renters was different. There was to be a very large hold put on my debit card, I needed to have a copy of my insurance card, and I was limited to driving 150 miles per day. Yes, I have a local address, but I am currently caring for my parents out of state and I have to fly to Dallas from time to time to check on things at home. I had a round trip ticket from Portland to DFW. I also am fully ensured by no longer carry a paper, I used my smartphone to access my policy/numbers when needed.

Let me state that I believe that companies have the right to set their own policies however in this situation I have two major concerns: #1, These additional "rules" were not presented when I reserved the car on Orbitz. The agent said that Advantage has nothing to do with what is on the Orbitz site and that they were not responsible for that. I disagree. If they are allowing their product to be "sold" via a third agent, Advantage SHOULD make sure that the info is accurate on the site. My second major concern is the discriminatory nature of treating "local" residents differently than non-local residents - essentially putting an additional financial burden on someone because of their zip code. Sounds like discrimination to me.

I asked the agent why the policy was different for local residents. "Don't know, company policy." At that point, since I had not paid for the reservation, much to the shock of the agent, I said, "Alright, thank you very much, please give me my debit card and license back." I do carry a credit card but was not asked for that. I promptly took my business to another company in the rental complex and gladly gave them my business. At the other business, Budget, I was treated as I am treated anywhere in the country.

Companies are responsible for how they are represented, even by third parties - they can blame the "bait and switch" on the third party but because they played this game with me, they lost almost $400 in rental fees for a car that will be driven 40 miles over 5 days. Additionally, I will not rent from Advantage, ever again. This is the FIRST complaint letter I have ever written to a third party site.

Dedra of Perrysburg, OH on

I went online and did a search for a car rental. I put in the dates and times I need to pick up the car and return the car and got a price. Went to pick up the car and confirmed the times needed the car for and they confirmed the price. I told them I did not want to give them an email address. The email address that printed out on my ticket was not my email address as I didn't give them one. When we returned the car an hour earlier than the time I told them it would be returned, we waited for the lady to check us out so she could give us a receipt. When she printed out our receipt, what we were being charged was twice what we agreed to based on the times I told them I needed the car.

We went into the counter in the airport and had to wait quite a long time to speak to a manager, knowing we had a flight to catch. Come to find out they were charging us X number of dollars per hour after the 24 hours we had the car. Even though I was very clear when I needed the car and received a quote for that time period. They ended up refunding us the difference they had charged, but between the lack of service on the back end and them not being straight up front, we will never use this car rental service again. Stick with what you know and the service you know you will get with it...don't use Advantage.

Jim of Nashville, TN on

Rented car at Ft. Lauderdale Airport. 2015 VW Passat. Alignment our tires way out of balance. Drove to Keys & stopped part way down. Car would NOT start. Spent 10 minutes & finally started by fiddling with shifter. Drove to Marathon destination. Later tried to start car. Would NOT start. Called number listed on contract NO Answer. Called Roadside Assistance NO ANSWER or voice mail. Wasted 3 days with no car. Finally had it use Chat online to have Miami office call. 1st person treated me like an idiot & told me I didn't know how to drive a VW & probably drove with handbrake on. Another call from Miami & he actually had car replaced next day. Charged for whole week for most of time with car that wouldn't start. No response from customer service surveys. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Vuong of Overland Park, KS on

At all cost, stay away from rental. They made you believe they gave you free upgrade then stick with you with upgrade charge. They sent a bill charging me $2565 for a three day rental. When I called their customer service I had to wait 40mn and someone in the Philippines just played game with me. Not help resolve wrong billing. Never again!!!

Justin of Eugene, OR on

Advantage quoted one price and slipped in a number of charges AFTER I received the "final" receipt. I called their customer service number and spoke to an individual who was totally unprofessional, I could tell that they were not listening to me (I could hear other people chatting and giggling in the background) and I had to repeat my information a number of times before they simply sent me to another number. I have been on hold for an hour and there is no sign that it's going to end but I'm leaving the call going on principle.

This is clearly a scam: They advertise low prices and then smack you with a series of fees as well as simply and blatantly charging more than what is reflected in the receipt. Then they have a customer service that only deals with calls from people who want new reservations and not from customers that they've ripped off. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. I urge those in a position to investigate this company to do so. It may be employees exploiting ways to overcharge or it could be higher up in the company, but they are stealing from their customers.

Alice of Raleigh, NC on

I rented a car from Advantage online through Hotwire.com. When I went to the agency they changed the contract and was charging way more than the contract stated. Trying to sell me other products which I did not need. I did not rent the car. Was told to call Hotwire back for a refund. When I called Hotwire, they attempted to refund me. Called Advantage and they told Hotwire that I never came to pick the car up, therefore I did not receive a refund. Not only did they change the contract, but lied. I did not receive a refund of my money. I only lost $63.00 but it's the principle. Contract was changed and I didn't agree with it. So I had a right not to rent the car. Now I know why I was the only one at the counter when I came to get the car.

Mary of Guthrie, OK on

I rented a car, purchased the insurance and was overcharged on the insurance and have tried for a month and a half to speak to someone who can help. Even called the home office and can't get a single person to help or return a call. They charged more than I pay in six months on insurance. This company is a scam.

greg of Houston, PA on

My complaint is about an unreasonable upcharge for a "better" car. $40 a day extra was supposed to be 80% off which means the car would cost $200 per day which isn't possible. I stood in line for more than 45 minutes to rent a car and was met with ambivalence at return. The first guy said "hey, this price is reasonable, a lot of other companies charge more." The manager on duty today said, "nothing I can do - you initiated the fee." I would not recommend this firm and I will definitely never use them again. And I will continue to tell my friends to not use their service.

James of Victoria, BC on

Never Again! Had booked a car through Hotwire for pick-up at the San Antonio Airport (February 2017), We arrived after a long day and were tired. The agent at the Front Counter was unfriendly and not helpful. She took forever to process our rental. She tried to sell us everything involved with extra insurance but didn't have the right personality to do this. She was actually quite surly. We did not need or require extra insurance as we had it. She seemed to not understand this.

On our return the shuttle bus driver was the worst of the worst. He never assisted with the luggage and never left his seat. He drove like a maniac to the Airport and when asked where a certain Airline was all he could say was "back". We did not know and were not informed that there was just one central drop off point. I have rented cars all over the USA for many years and this experience with Advantage was the worst. I will NEVER rent from them again and neither should you. Sometimes you think that you are saving a few bucks but really you are not.

Johan of lvsj, Other on

Horrible. We rent a car in Ft Lauderdale, Florida. The first car was dirty with urine inside. We got another one. The day after, we saw that the tires were totally broken. We tried to call the company for a lot of times but did only got the answer "The mailbox is full, please try later." We tried to call the Emergency number - no answer. (Safe to know?!) We went to the airport and got our third car. It was dirty but worked basically. When we came home, we were charged for a lot of extra tolls and taxes, never told us. We complained but did not got any response. In total, with all extra charges, we paid a lot more for our car than our friends did, rented from another bug famous company. DO NEVER EVER RENT A CAR FROM ADVANTAGE RENT-A-CAR!

Dave of Ofallon, MO on

A rental car company with this many complaints pretty much daily should not be allowed to stay in business. Daily or hourly they are taking advantage of innocent consumers expecting to get a good rental car experience. We rented from them in Maui Kahului and like other complaints I have read rented a vehicle with damage on it. They claimed to have documented the damage and when we returned it they didn't say a thing. You would think they would have used the damage sheet when the car was rented and verified then there was no new damage. They didn't say a thing. But then yesterday we get a letter from a 3rd party claims company that there was damage to the vehicle that wasn't on it when rented. This company has a nice scam going, they have probably made claims on the same car over and over again. There was no additional damage to the car at all.

Then if you try to call the corp office no one answers!!! OMG a nationwide company that no one to answer phones??? SCAM SCAM SCAM. When is the attorney general going to get involved and shut this company down??? A company that has over 400 complaints in such a short time should be drawing the attention of the government offices that are suppose to protect consumers. I know I will be making an effort to get them shut down and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau finds out about this companies practices and treatment of consumers.

Dawn of Evans, CO on

Rented a car from Advantage 5 weeks ago. Arrive on February 6th at the Phoenix Airport, wait in line for 1 1/2 hours at Advantage to get my car. Finally receive a Jeep rather than a Nissan or equivalent as contract stated. This gas hog Jeep just really sucked up gas. Called to exchange car, finally after many attempts get a hold of Alex who said he would call back with a different car. He never calls. Can't get anyone today. NEVER NEVER RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. Had I rented from Avis I would have had a car within 10 minutes of my arrival.

STILIANOS / ALEXANDER of Charlottesville, VA on

Ref. car rental (22 Dec 2016 - 5 Jan 2017) DULLES AIRPORT Va. After 18 hours travelling arrived at Dulles airport with a contract from ADVANTAGE on hand stating: FULL COVERAGE (insurance) and all my cost would be set from start. The Advantage agent at the pick up desk told me that I was not sufficient covered even for the minimum and whatever would happen I would be responsible 100%. FOUND OUT LATER: TOTALLY FALSE. Actually I was forced to buy extra insurance with extra cost USD 363.86.

After my return to my home base and requested explanation regarding the full insurance on the contract I have in writing from: CUSTOMER CARE SPECIALIST Natalie (6 Feb 2017) Booking Group. That the extra insurance was not necessary. You have my email my name and all needed info to contact me. Spend 363.86 USD for no reason. AWAITING A REIMBURSEMENT. This behaviour makes the reputation of your company TOO SHAMEFUL.

Roger of Tampa, FL on

This car rental company advertises very low per-day rental rates however, when you go to pick up your reserved rental car, a great deal of up-selling pressure is placed on customers. They literally insist you take not just a higher cost vehicle, but many of the accessories they have available. During drop-off, the lines are usually very long as they often have only 1 or 2 customer service representatives to assist with both new rental customers and drop-off customers so if you have a flight to catch, make sure you give yourself lots of time so you don't miss your flight.

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Profile