3.9/5 (701 ratings)

About Advantage Rent-A-Car

Advantage Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I reserved a car through Priceline and then Expedia for Advantage Car Rental. When I got there they asked for a utility bill because I was “local.” None of this is in ANY site including their own. Then, they did the bait and switched by telling me that mileage wasn’t unlimited as advertised and reserved. I ended up not being able to get service after traveling 40 minutes to get to the place and be dismissed with this garbage. A TOTAL waste. Would NEVER recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

I rented a car for my daughter to drive from Nashville to Charlotte at Christmas. I rented through Orbitz. The list included all the features of the terms. It stated unlimited mileage. When my daughter got to the airport, they told her she had to pay an additional $25 per day for an extra 150 miles a day because she only had 100 miles a day for the 6 days. So we had to pay an additional $150 for the car rental. This was not listed anywhere on the contract I reserved. They defended their policy stating TN residents have mileage limits in terms and conditions. We called customer service and even Orbitz but they defended their policy even though my itinerary listed unlimited mileage! This company hides information from the consumer in a very deceptive way!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

Rented a car for a week in Atlanta Airport. The rental cost was about $350 but when I got the final invoice via email it showed $850 after including $500 in ridiculous fees. Do not use this garbage rental car company. There is a reason you've likely never heard of them before.

RATE CHARGE 344.19
    VEHICLE LICENSE FEE 25.00
    CFC 25.00
    RENTAL EXCISE TAX 22.98

Total Charges 848.38

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I rented a car from the Advantage Rent a Car, DFW location, from 10/04/2021 - 10/10/2021. Initially, I received a car that smelled strongly of smoke and had no gas in it, so I had to return to the counter to get a different car. I received keys to a Nissan Sentra. I was told that they don't do walk arounds on the cars, but to look for any damage that wasn't already noted. I purchased the damage waiver, so I didn't think that was necessary, but I did walk around the car and look for anything significant. I did not see anything, but it was late and dark out. I also did not notice any damage while driving the car or while it was parked in my hotel's parking garage.

Upon returning it in the early morning hours (it was still dark) of 10/10, the garage attendant immediately pointed out the chip and asked me how that happened. I told him I didn't know, and he asked me to fill out a statement. In the following weeks, I received several phone calls & emails from a company called Alternative Claims Management, based in San Antonio, TX, letting me know there was a claim for the chip, but they didn't provide any other information or photos regarding the claim.

On 11/08/2021, I was finally sent a report and photos. They decided not to fill the chip (a $50 repair at most) but to replace the entire windshield and are trying to collect $727.86 from me. Not just for the repairs, but for "loss of use" and "administration fees". According to their terms & conditions, the loss of use is only for days that the vehicle is out of commission and supposed to be based on your daily rate.

Based on that, it looks like they're charging me for more than 2 days, when I can see from the receipts that the windshield was replaced first thing the following morning, meaning it was only out of use for 1 day. I purchased their most expensive insurance package ($450.77 in total for the week), which at most rental companies, covers any issues with the car. They are saying that glass isn't covered in the CDW, which I could understand if I cracked the windshield or caused some major damage, but it is a tiny chip that could have easily been filled. I feel like the pursuit of this amount is excessive and borderline fraudulent.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

Deceptive practices, bait and switch policies. It clearly states on Kayak's website site "You'll only pay if you arrive for your reservation." Now I receive a $50 charge due to me not cancelling my reservation within 24 hours. Of course, they have a separate policy in their terms and conditions about cancellation charges, but why wouldn't they include that in the SRP page right under the "You'll only pay if you arrive for your reservation" comment rather than burying it in T&C? This is clearly deceptive. Check out their F rating on BBB...Not sure how this company is still in business.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

DO NOT RENT FROM ADVANTAGE. My company reserved a car for a specific printed reservation price of $192 for three days last week. When I went to pick the car up with my associate, when asked, I declined all additional insurance and certainly the tow coverage, as my company's own issuer Geico covers all that and it was a local Atlanta rental for a conference and expo. On the return, rushing to catch my flight out, I realized they added all that stuff back in so my bill went from $192 to $345.20 without my permission or knowledge.

When I went to complain, the new agent said, "You have to call in on Monday to resolve." I was fuming. He specifically said that, "The agent who signed out your car had a habit of that. That Christin was a problem employee." Now it's my problem as my company wants to dock me for it. I am contacting the County DA's office to get the video tapes of the interactions as I now believe- allege that Advantage may be pushing this kind of employee action which easily doubles their profits. If you have experienced the same thing with Advantage, please contact the ** as I will.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I’m super into saving money when it comes to car rentals, I travel to Las Vegas 3-4 times a year and Advantage Rent a Car was new to me! Saved over $200 going thru them: A+ service, A+ car A+ PERIOD! Going thru them in November for the SEMA convention! Offering a shuttle for a block ride is awesome, I took it to get there but I walked back (across the street) to the rental center for the shuttle ride to the airport! Super clean location, super friendly employees. Was asked about additional insurance (I declined) was asked about fuel (I declined cause I had a late flight) and I was charged exactly what I agreed to! Sorry Budget, Sorry Dollar - but they even got your ‘membership’ discounts beat!!

Original review: April 18, 2021

I reserved the rental car on Expedia. The price once I got there was about $80 difference but I was ok with the hidden fees. I was talked into prepaying the gas by the rental agent. I told him that I wouldn’t be driving the car that much. He told me that I would be reimbursed for gas that I do not use. I paid for a full tank of gas. I have attached a copy of the return receipt. I was charged $42 for a full tank of gas and returned the vehicle with a full tank of gas. They refunded me $4.42. I called customer service and was told there was nothing that could be done because they are not aware of any policy of refunding the cost of unused gas.

They told me they would have a manager from the Orlando location reach out to me. The rep told me that to get me off of the phone. I never received a call. I was charged $38 for gas that I never used. This company is a scam that will tell you what is needed to get you to spend more money. I would never use their services again and do not recommend them. Go with a Enterprise or Budget. They are more transparent. You can also speak with the actual location when you call.

Original review: April 16, 2021

A minute ago. NEW. Really poor/bad service. I've never seen such a bad quality of service. I rented a car at the Miami international Airport. I booked a full size car, but the staff said Nissan versed is the same value as Toyota Camry. I went down level to get a car. There was no staff that helped you to find a car. I finally found the car that had many damages! I went back up and requested a different car! That was so unfair for me. I paid the full size car! They were saying there is no car left! Then, why did they confirm the reservation!! I waited and waited for Toyota. It took over an hour to leave the site! The staff was unprofessional. They charged me almost $350 and $450 that wasn't under my responsibility! Once I found that, I called them several times. No Answers!! I was so worried!! They need to improve better customer service! That experience ruined my day!!

Original review: April 3, 2021

Hello Advantage Rent-A-Car:

I was a customer of yours picking up a car (Nissan Versa) at Nashville Airport on 3-30-2021 and returning it on 4-1-2021. During my rental period, I received a text message, informing me that I had ben outside your rental area and that I was to call to correct the situation. I did indeed call after I had received the text message and basically was lectured by the representative that I signed a contract that stated I could not take the car beyond Kentucky (I was 7 miles past the Kentucky border). I told the agent where I was and that I would not move the car until my departure the next day. The text message indicated that I had the opportunity to rectify the issues, and I had assumed that my call was indeed rectification. The rep told me that Wayne was not in but I should speak to him when I returned.

Upon return to the airport, I asked for Wayne, but was only allowed to speak to him by phone. He lectured me again, and then offered to reduce the fee to $500. I told him that was not acceptable but I offered to pay an additional day rental. In response, Wayne re-upped the fee to $1,000. Furthermore and to add injury to insult, I received a bill that included concession fees and state taxes that incorporated the $1,000 fee, meaning the 11.11% concession fee and the 9.25% state tax were applied to the $1,000 fee. Interestingly, the $1,000 fee did not show up on the bill that was e-mailed to me.

I referenced the start of this note that I was a customer. I do not believe I ever was a customer of yours but rather a shakedown target. I spent good money with you as a customer and was treated with no service, respect and instead swindled out of a $1,000 which actually according to my calculations on the bill amounted to a $1,010 -- I added all the charges up and was left with $1,010 unaccounted for on my bill. I eagerly await your response. Thank you, Ben

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information