2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Advantage Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advantage Rent-A-Car?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Before you leave a negative FB, call their helpful number first 407-888-0519, they will try their best to help you. We were not happy about our rental experience in Las Vegas, we were charged for insurance coverage when we insisted that we didn't need it, after I talked to the lady who picked up the phone, she solved my problem right away. Other than the unknown charge, we don't have any other complaints. Helping yourself is also helping them to improve, so call them first.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Excellent experience of renting a car in Phoenix, Arizona. Staff at both end (car rental and rental return) was very helpful and professional. Mr. Imad **, agent at return section was very helpful and professional. Will definitely rent from Advantage on our next trip. Final price as exactly as agreed and no surprises.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I had to go out to San Diego from Missouri on business in a hurry. No time to reserve a car even. I arrived at SAN and quickly had a car from Advantage. The service rep comped me on an upgrade and had me in and out in under 30 minutes. I wish I could remember her name but she was from the Philippines. This was on Tuesday, 15 October 2019. Turning in the car was just as easy that Friday. I would highly recommend this company. Mark, Kansas City, MO

Original review: May 6, 2020

I rented an economy size vehicle during a stay in New York in January of 2020. My only purpose for the car was to get to NY to Newark airport in NJ - next day drop off. Upon dropping the car off the assistant double charged my CC and informed me that she rectified the charge. However, upon my return back to Texas, I’d noticed that the charge had not been removed. I followed the appropriate steps for a (1) call to the company and (2) submitting a dispute to my Cc company. The customer service center for Advantage was unhelpful and almost insinuated that I was wrong, although I had all documentation in front of me. My CC company disputed and I was reimbursed, finally, in March. It is now May and they are trying to collect the money from me all over again. I rent with other companies regularly for work and have never experienced anything like this. I’m highly disappointed!

Original review: March 29, 2020

As part of a timeshare from Tahiti Village we received a free 3 day car rental from Advantage Car Rental. We were told by both Tahiti Village and Advantage that there would be no additional charges to us. When we arrived to pick up the car, the lady at the counter of Advantage asked us if my husband wanted to drive as well. She did not mention that there would be any additional charges. She then proceeded to tell me they needed my credit card in case of any damage. She then asked us to sign an electronic pad, without showing us the contract. I asked to see the contract, but she said that it will be printed after we signed. It wasn't until we returned the car that we noticed that they charged us for my husband and he didn't even drive. They were deceitful in their dealings. Stay away from ADVANTAGE!

Original review: March 16, 2020

My experience with Advantage was fine until I realized they charged me for collision insurance I specifically asked to waive, which is frighteningly common for this company. When I originally called the customer service department, they gave me the runaround telling me the corporate office reviewed my case and denied the request... Then after some pushing they said corporate approved a 20% refund... All lies to get you to pay extra! Finally I called a different customer service number and got an extremely helpful gentleman named Sebastian to waive the fee for me almost right away (no corporate review needed... Interesting!) Thank you so much Sebastian for reviewing my case and for giving me the assistance I needed. Advice to new car renters - double check EVERYTHING and beware of scams!

Original review: March 6, 2020

I arrived 15 mins early. I was asked if I wanted to upgrade my car, pay for their gas, or wanted their insurance, I said no. I was then told nothing about any policies, late fees, gas fees, etc. Fuji (the attendant) then asked for my payment and told me to go sit and wait for 30 minutes because no standard cars were ready. I waited for exactly 30 minutes (keep in mind no one else was sitting waiting for a car) then went back to the counter and asked if my car was ready. They said "um what was your name?" I told them, they said, "Well actually we will just upgrade your car for free!"

I was excited until they told me it would be a minivan. I had already told them I was traveling alone, so I clearly did not need a bigger car. It was also one of the worst rental cars I've ever had for gas mileage. So on top of not getting the car I signed up for, get an "upgrade" that I didn't want they also apparently didn't actually check me in earlier so I had to go over all of my information again with them. I was so frustrated as I walked to the garage to get my car!

Once in the garage a woman that checked in after me was getting into a Passat. I asked the attendant why I did not get that car, since she checked in after me? They of course had no idea and stared at me with blank looks. I then asked if I could have something besides a van, she stared at me and told me to wait a minute. I told her to forget. I was done waiting! She handed me keys and told me to go to spot # 18. No one walked me to my car, showed me around, or even looked at the car with me for the damage on it.

Then when I was returning the car I pulled up & parked the car. The attendant that was there was walking around talking on his phone, didn't even acknowledge me. So I finally asked if I needed to do anything and he said "nah you're good to go" and turned around. I asked for a receipt and he told me to go to the desk. I will NEVER use this company again! All around it was a terrible experience just to save me $30. I'll be sticking with Fox from now on.

Original review: March 6, 2020

I have hired cars all around the world but have not experienced untrustworthy practices like the ones used by Advantage. I brought the car back full and they contacted me to charge me for a full tank (credit card statements confirmed I had fuelled the car prior to return), they made me sign a small screen a number of times on hire that included hidden charges. The contract they provide is in text so small that it cant be read without a microscope. All of these costs you will only know about after you have returned the car with no issues. I engaged with customer services and they provided no support. Please avoid or please take pictures of everything - including the fuel guage, handing the keys back - everything. There are shady practices in Advantage. Avoid them if you can and take all precautions if you can't. As said I have hired cars worldwide and no company has pulled the tricks that Advantage have. Beware, they will cheat you.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I returned this car with no issues. Three weeks later they contacted me and informed me that the windshield was cracked and that I was responsible for the damages. The next week I got a letter from Viking Billing Service a collection agency demanding the money and threatening my credit. My wife and myself are over 50 and very responsible adults. If I would have damaged the car I would have turned it into my insurance company on the spot. Do not mess with this company or you too may fall victim to their scam.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I just had one of the worst traumatizing experiences of my life thanks to this rental company. I flew to Tampa, Fl on business. Once landed picked up my rental and headed to my hotel. After I checked in I went and picked up my clients for a business dinner. This is where our night took a turn for the worst. We were pulled over by TPD. Knowing I did nothing wrong I was confused on what was going on and why their guns were drawn. After making us get out, searching the vehicle and running everyone's information we find out that they thought the vehicle was stolen due to the fact that some "genius" placed the wrong license plate on my rental.

I'm a military veteran with PTSD and the last thing I needed was this stressful event taking place. Of course now our night is ruined and I have busy schedule tomorrow so I had no choice but to race back to the airport before they closed at 11:30 while on the phone with their corporate office. They tell me to call the manager at the Tampa branch where I was headed. Made it by 11:15. I explain to the attendant my situation and of course they didn't show any remorse for my situation and I wasn't expecting them to. I asked for the manager I'm told to call in the morning because they're asleep.

Soooo the next day once I find a break in my day I follow up with the contact information given to me to reach the manager on duty. I call and I get the manager that's not on duty. She says she thought she forwarded the calls to the manager on duty and she'd pass my case over and they'd give me a call. Two days later I still have not received a call from them yet. I was trying to give them a chance to save face before I took this matter public but they don't seem to care about me or my horrible experience so I'll definitely be following up and taking this public. Rental# **

Advantage Rent-A-Car Company Information