2.44/5

Last updated: April 19, 2018

863 CVS Caremark Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

CVS Caremark is literally forcing me to use CVS for my medications! I want to get my medications filled at the privately owned pharmacy in my hometown where the pharmacist knows me personally and NEVER makes a mistake regarding my medications. James, the pharmacist (at the pharmacy in my hometown) makes SURE my generic medications are refilled by the exact some pharmaceutical manufacturer/at the same manufacturing plant every single time! That's so important because different pharmaceutical manufacturers produce very different generic medications (of the same name).

James does not use pharmaceutical manufacturers that have a history of poor quality control (e.g., India-based Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals, Inc. came under fire from FDA officials over conditions at two Indian plants because they didn't meet U.S. standards; Ranbaxy recalled more than 40 batches of generic ** due to the medication containing "small particles of glass").

James contracts only with pharmaceutical manufacturers with the highest safety and quality assurance standards. He's more than happy to sit down with you to review your medications, pharmaceutical manufacturers/plants, or whatever else you're concerned about. The folks at CVS change generic manufacturers without warning so unless you're checking who manufactures your generic medications each and every time you pick up your medications you'd likely have no idea of the change. It is an effort to squeeze out the little guys and move to a monopoly. This is very upsetting and very concerning to me!

Original review: April 19, 2018

Initial set up order requires many steps and extremely slow. Takes 3 times to fax in prescription (3 weeks), each time fax in, it'll need 24-48 hours to verify receiving or not. After that, insurance needs 1-2 days to verify, prescription needs 1-2 days to verify, picking bones from eggs and let you re-fax. 1-2 days for initial questionnaire, 1-2 days to verify those questionnaire, 1-2 days for final processing. By the time you got the prescription, you should have died because of waiting for it. WTF! The law should kill all these money shattering PBM in the health care system.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 17, 2018

Since January, 2018 I have been trying to obtain STATEMENT of PATIENT COSTS from CVS Caremark, which I never received the entire time I was employed with Praxair, Inc. a huge, international corporation that had a contract with CVS Caremark. Actually, as of 1/1/2018, my previous employer did not renew their contract. Your customer service representatives are worthless, uncooperative, use stalling tactics, only use verbiage that they know is irritating the client, customer and then say, "Oh, you sound frustrated!" In trying to obtain my STATEMENT of PATIENT COSTS, I have talked to probably 12 representatives of this company and have gotten 12 different answers as related to my issue.

Today, 4/18/18, I called, only to have spoken to again 10 different people to get a phone number to a Case Coordinator where I have a Task # and she and I have had multiple conversations. Your customer representatives, if you can call them that, actually are just nosy, nosy, busy bodies, asking too many questions. They are extremely difficult to deal with and are so resistant to providing the client, customer with the information they are requesting. They are hurting the businesses they represent and it comes through loud and clear that they do not care. Have already sent emails to CVS Corporate Complaint Department as well as a letter to the CEO. It is now 2 hours later and I still do not have the phone number!!

Original review: April 11, 2018

My experience with this company was so incredibly painful that it affected my overall health! I spent hours upon hours and days on the phone attempting to procure valid information regarding my prescription, authorization and actual shipping. On multiple occasions information was overlooked and fabricated by all of the phone personnel. I was told one day all was ready to ship. The next day messages were left that it wasn't and needed more authorization. The information they provided regarding the insurance was false regarding rejection etc. as I verified with my insurance company. I am at the point of bringing legal action against them and the travesty of it all is that I still don't have the medication for my chronic illness. Guess I will have to take my chances at the ER. Run away from this company as fast as you can!

Original review: April 6, 2018

PERA health insurance recently switched to CVS/Caremark for filling prescription. This has been a disaster. They refuse to fill any of my prescriptions all of which were covered previously. They have made the process so extremely bureaucratic that it cannot be executed giving them reason to deny the claim. Example, I just had a regular prescription for ** from my doctor sent to my pharmacy. The pharmacy said CVS/Caremark would not cover since they did not get a prior authorization by having my doctor call them in advance. This is ludicrous!!! Having a highly trained physician call them for very simple and inexpensive prescriptions - for which a script was written by the doc - is insurance gone insane. In reality, it's apparent that CVS/Caremark really don't want to cover anything! They are being paid by PERA health insurance and do nothing in return.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS Caremark?

Original review: April 5, 2018

There has been a lengthy bad history with this company and myself. It first began and continues with them not following simple instructions that had been agreed upon when I had ordered my medications. I do like to have them delivered when I am home so that they may not be stolen if I weren't home. Simple enough right? Apparently, not. I get a notice from UPS that I have a package coming from them specifically on the day I did not say to deliver them. Not to mention the times my orders were not complete.

Today I had called in to order two medications to be delivered on 4/10, again simple enough right? I get an email that 7 other prescriptions are coming that in fact I did not call to order. My doctor simply called in refills for medications I get every 3 months. That 3 month supply of the other medicines went from $57 every 3 months to now, $344.96 every 3 months! I entered into an agreement to leave a card on file so they can charge this out in 3 equal payments to total around $115 a month. I have always been a suspicious about this practice, but I agreed to it and gave the account number for my HSA account. BIG MISTAKE, my card was charged more than twice the agreed upon amount. I got to the bottom of that and canceled the card, or so I thought. I called my HSA canceled that card, and I arranged to fulfill our agreement. They are now paid from my HSA instead of them putting their hands into it.

Now today I receive in the mail an inaccurate bill for a remaining balance. So like every time I have to call them for ANYTHING I brace myself. I had hung up on the first representative because I did not care for his attitude. They are doing me yet another disservice. The second representative just talked all over me, and evaded the one pertinent question I had about the payments they received. I eventually backed her into a corner and got an answer to that question. Finally after HOURS on the phone once AGAIN. I have the issue with payment resolved. This is after I had to conference with my HSA to prove the payment was not processed correctly on their end.

I have serious concerns about the mental capabilities of their call center staff. This level of disservice is not what I pay for, I am NOT a happy customer. It is unacceptable and I sincerely wish the company I work for had a different prescription plan. They are paid for a service from my employer as part of a group policy that I contribute to weekly. I also have out of pocket expenses to pay as well. To date I have not received one bit of empathy or an apology for their abuse that I am paying for.

Original review: April 4, 2018

This personnel who staff this mail order service are very rude & are not in the least looking out for the consumer. They do not help the consumer in any way. You will have more control over your prescription fills & refills if you deal with your local pharmacy. Due to low staffing, the company pharmacists are not able to check over individual customers' records. If you receive a questionable order, they will never make restitution. Once it ships, you are charged. No resolution to problems.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Our prescription insurance restricts us to using CVS and CVS Caremark for certain medications. Getting those medications is a nightmare every time. It takes weeks each time I try to refill my daughter's daily allergy medication - I now start trying a month in advance and we still don't always get it on time. I am currently trying to obtain medication to help prevent preterm labor after we lost a daughter who was born prematurely and have spent the past three days trying to sort the prescription out (after three days they still can't verify that they even have the prescription in their possession since "it takes 24-48 hours to process" and the most recent one was sent to them yesterday).

Granted, all of their service reps have been polite, but the system itself is horrific. If I was just ordering a product for my own enjoyment I might be annoyed but considering that this is a necessary medication that needs to be started next week, I am frantic. CVS Caremark should not be allowed to handle anything other than vitamin C if they can't get their act together and provide medicines to their clients in a timely manner.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I received a nasty letter from CVS Caremark stating my current prescription would need to be filled in the future by their mail order processing center. I called and said I didn't like mail order and I certainly didn't like their nasty letter. "Oh don't be upset- it's a form letter," she said. "We send to all of our clients." Wow lucky me. She said the company would do all the work, contact my physician and get a 90 day prescription for me. It would only cost me $20. She said if you walked into a neighborhood CVS it would cost me $10 for a 30 day supply (hence $30 for a 90 day supply). And she said, "By the way you have an opt out provision in your insurance that would allow you to not use mail order but rather go to your local pharmacy". Then I asked, "Why the nasty letter and why use your mail order?" She said, "The price- you will save $10 with a 90 day supply". Why not save $10- so I ordered.

What a mistake!!! The order came and it was a 30 day supply and the bill was $20. I called, was escalated to someone in the superior "I don't care" department and they told me I was given all the information and there was no impropriety nor lack of disclosure given. It was my fault I didn't get the prescription myself and my doctor's fault that he didn't approve a 90 day supply. I asked why they didn't call me and let me know the now $10.00 savings was going to cost me an additional $10- a 100% increase over walking down the street to a different pharmacy. Their reply was, "we are not at fault- we don't promised you nothing". What a scam!!! Is anybody out there a member of a class action suit against this company? I would love to join. Can you imagine if they are doing this to many- my $10 becomes millions. They are dishonest as the day is long and should not be in business.

Original review: March 21, 2018

My doctor recently wrote a prescription and it went to the "specialty pharmacy." That was 24 hours ago. I have not heard anything from the specialty pharmacy so I gave them a call. I was told that "We have to verify your insurance and that can take 24-48 hours". Really? Really? It does not take 24-48 hours to verify insurance. Let me repeat that - they told me it takes 24-48 hours to verify insurance. It does not take 24-48 hours to verify insurance. It is done electronically and either I have that medication on my plan or I don't.

Plus, at the time of my call - it had already been 24 hours. Also, mind you, I called them. No one bothered to call me. Hmmm. When I did call - all I got was the runaround. So far not very happy with the quality of service... Looks like I will be waiting about 2 weeks for my medication. I got the script on Tuesday and it's now Wednesday. Hopefully someone will call me by tomorrow afternoon. Then I have to wait for them to send it to me "overnight". That however can take up to 72 hours. I go out of town next week. I am not happy.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I wish I could give zero stars. I was forced to change to this mail order plan at the beginning of the year or pay full price for my prescriptions. It was a hassle to get all my prescriptions switched. Now I am trying to pay my bill online and it keeps on giving my card an error message (I checked to make sure it is correct.) They sent me a bill but I do not use checks! I pay online! But I can't! Incompetent.

Original review: March 16, 2018

These people are beyond incompetent. They had my doctor's prescription for 75mcg ** auto-renewing for 5 mg ** (wrong dosage!!). My doctor never prescribed that doseage. Now when my actual dosage has run out, they tell me that prescription has expired. It hasn't. No one at this company knows what to do. I think mail order is dangerous if they have incompetent people running the place. Management should be ashamed!

Original review: March 13, 2018

My employer changed to CVS Caremark from Navitus in January of this year. It has been nothing less than a disaster. First, with no notice they told me I needed a prior authorization to refill a prescription that I have had filled for over ten years through Navitus. They didn't notify me of this until I went to refill it. It ended up going with the prescription for two weeks. Now just today, I went to refill a prescription at CVS that was filled there using CVS Caremark coverage and they tell me I must use a Specialty Pharmacy. They could not explain why I was able to fill the Rx last month. Anyway, each month, I now need to go through a horrendous phone tree to reorder this prescription and wait for them to fill it, then mail it to me or to my CVS Pharmacy. They obviously are customer focused. If you have a choice in Rx Insurance, I recommend you avoid CVS Caremark.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I would like to have a HUGE complaint, regarding about my son’s pain medication, that he has been on for at least 10 years. I have also read the others complaints, and that I can really relate what they are saying. First off, all of a sudden you need a doctor pre-authorization to continue with the med, in order to get approve and to get the medicine for the insurance to pay, and that remind you, I have received the letter saying it’s good for a year. Next thing I heard, was to go to the doctor for the approval of getting the medication, and was given a new prescription. Mind you it was the same ones before, and they would not fill it until he sees the doctor, who he has the same doctor for over 10 years!

I take the prescription to CVS, thinking everything was good and it’s still back to square one again! Now they want to tell us how many tablets to get and it’s not the doctor that wrote the amount he gets every 2 weeks of 90 tablets and instead to get 120 tablets once a month. It won’t even cover for the whole month! If it was 180 for a month, then that would solved the problems. Those people that are working for CVS have NO clue what they are doing, and you don’t know the patients, nor you don’t know what they have been going through!

This is beyond the most ridiculous thing that I have ever encountered with, and as far as I’m concerned, they are ripping people off! One more thing, I had to pay the full amount of the price in order to get his medication and was told to hang on my receipt and to get the reimbursement and they denied it. Really? I just went to the CVS yesterday, and had that gut feeling that the insurance are doing this again, making me to pay full price, and sure enough it did. What was I supposed to do? Put it off to see if again the insurance was going to cover it? The answer I got was no again! I don’t think none of those people are on the same page of dealing with CVS, and this has been nothing but a headache since last month. Never before, that we had issues with CVS, but now I’m beginning it’s becoming a ripoff!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I am beyond mad! I have been dealing with employees from CVS that know nothing about the system! I have had my prior authorization and prescription in for over a week and cannot have it delivered! I have called every day to try to figure out what is needed and what is not. Today, they told me I do not have prior authorization! Seriously? I am forced to use them since I am forced to use CareSource being an independent contractor in KY. What good is this doing when I am paying for something I cannot receive? I need my medication. What now? This whole system needs to be revamped! For a medication I have been on for 10 years, it seems the system is the problem!

Original review: March 7, 2018

Nobody should have to endure their headaches. They do not inform you when prescription criteria changes. They have terrible communication. I received incorrect information from 3 reps before I finally contacted my insurance to help. We went around in circles. Finally a supervisor got on the phone and she provided information that was just as confusing before she informed us how to overcome the issue. It was so frustrating. I feel they should be out of business.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Since when does a pharmacy plan have the right to deny filling a prescription if you don't order through one of their pharmacies on a 90 day refill? I was told upon calling "No ma'am it's to save you money." BS! I switched to a different pharmacy already to do that. Stop making people jump through your silly hoops to refill needed prescriptions that can save a life. So to resolve this issue I had to simply call CVS and opt out of the "savings plan". Terrible. Horrible.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Being a senior citizen and new to Medicare I relied on a name brand I thought could be trusted, CVS Pharmacy and CVS Caremark mail order for prescription drugs required by my doctors for my health. So I called Caremark direct to get accurate pricing of all the drugs I am currently taking, they had a list and started quoting me pricing, things looked good, actually very good so I enrolled with their plan, which you can only change once a year

Well, as soon as the period for change was over and my prescriptions started coming in the mail, prices were way way off of what I was quoted, I was quoted $0.00 co-pay and then got a bill in the mail for $34.95, thinking hey that's a mistake I called and they said, "No. That's correct, you must have misunderstood" (I did not misunderstand. I wrote it down). "So ok. Let's return this", "No can't do that, you have to file a grievance, wait the outcome which could take a few weeks and it may not be in your favor." "What, what about the return, what about the drugs I need", they locked out anybody else from filing that prescription until resolved nor could I take what they sent unless I paid for them.

What a company screw the public, especially the senior citizen public. Unbelievable. All I can say is I'm locked into them for a year and as soon as that's over I'm done with them, CVS Caremark and their insurance company Silver Script are bottom of the barrel. The woman I spoke with Cassandra kept asking am I satisfied with the outcome of the conversation. I kept saying, "NO", she kept asking. I finally said, "What don't you understand about NO, you did not handle any of my concerns. Nothing." I give them a zero "0", but I had to put in a 1 star to complete the review.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

At the first of the year CVS Caremark contacted me and stated some of my drugs would not be covered, or the price would increase unless I purchased directly from their mail order service. I moved my prescription to CVS and after 3+ weeks and many phone calls I'm still having issues getting all the prescription processed. They have even had the Dr. send 3 prescription for the same drug, and they still are having issues. I have contacted customer service many times and they keep telling me everything is OK, but then, in a few days, when I check the order it shows canceled. I contacted them today, and it was the same runaround, the system canceled the order, and they will have a new prescription request sent to the DR. and get the order processed, SOMETIME IN THE NEXT YEAR...

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I am forced by ADAP to use this pharmacy and it takes forever for them to approve a new prescription with ADAP so I can make an order. You can never check if there is a problem with an order until the day of shipment when it turns out there is one and they will not notify you. They are separated in "departments" instead of one person doing everything like at a regular pharmacy. The departments do not do their job and have poor communication between each other. If I went to a regular pharmacy at a near grocery store, the prescription get verified in a day and delivered next day. With CVS Caremark it takes weeks and you have to constantly call them to make them their job.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

From one month to the next CVS changes coverage on what they will and will not pay for without communication to the patient. With your physician doing all required pre-authorizations beforehand nothing is ever satisfying to the insurance company. I recently had an appointment with my doctor and now my insurance doesn’t think I need the amount of medication that I’ve been taking for years, (because bone pain isn't the same as with someone with cancer as was their example for why they were refusing to continue to pay for my medication. I’ve had 6 bone reconstruction surgeries including a bone graph on my foot, also have 6 screws and 2 plates holding everything together.

I suffer day in and day out, from deep bone pain. I need my medication to have a better quality of life. I’m also scheduled to have another surgery for hardware removal that’s perturbing from my heel. Often I have to pay for these medications out of my pocket totaling over five thousand USD for 2017. Only to get a letter in the mail for approval from CVS/CAREMARK. Stating to go ahead to get my medications filled as they will cover the cost, since these are controlled fills when they are due. You must get them or you could suffer serious health consequences, that could lead to a stroke or something even more serious. Asking for reimbursement is impossible. They will not pay you back if you’ve paid out of pocket. I hope someone reads this and can relate or is going through the same thing. Peace and Blessings.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have had no trouble getting my prescriptions on time each month. They call, in fact they call too much, but they do go out of their way to make sure I get my medications on time. When my doctor took me off one of my medications they called me to ask if I had accidentally not ordered it, I appreciated the attention they take with my account. Entirely different experience then OptumRx. Optum seemed to go out of their way to make sure I didn't get my meds. I would spend an average of 5 hours a month on the phone with Optum arguing with them just to get them to send my medications (funny right, I thought they were in the business of selling medicine). If you have a choice, choose these guys over OptumRx.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I called about a refill that was already 2 days late and was told by a representative that it had been delivered 2 days ago. I assured her that I had not receive the package and she practically called me a liar and that UPS was ALWAYS right and had indeed delivered the package. I informed her that she needed to resend immediately and she then informed me that I had no refills now and it would take another 4 days to receive. I was livid by this time, I was already out of medicine. I told them to cancel my mail order delivery immediately and that I would take care of my orders myself. I called my doctor and was given a new prescription and picked up the same day. One week later I received the old package from UPS that was never delivered. It had the delivery date on it (one week earlier). I will never use this service again.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

When they send the wrong quantity and claim it's the doctor's fault or the fault of the patient and refuse to help anyone unless they truly believe the mistake was their own that is poor service. I turned off the autorefill on the wrong quantity wrote by my doctor and turned on the autorefill for the correct quantity wrote by my other doctor but they sent the wrong script from the wrong doctor and claimed it was my fault because they sent me a text message before sending it and I did not call and correct the mistake in time.

Perhaps it was partially my fault and partially my doctors fault but it would have been pretty easy to correct it regardless. All they did was blame me and the doctor repeatedly and said they did not have to fix it. Rude unhelpful service every time I call them which is once or twice a year at most when there is a mistake because they always are rude to me and treat me like an idiot. Usually it is less painful to suffer the lack of proper meds than to deal with the agitation and stress these people cause me.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Aside from the people that work at the pharmacy (they I like), they have been good to me and have tried to work with me and understand the frustration people are going through. This merger/consumption of Aetna that was suppose to bring everyone "savings", has hiked up my prescription costs three times the amount they were. And this is just my current complaint with the prescription insurance company. Oh, and our prescription deductible was raised also, an additional fifty dollars. Great savings there. When my husband passed away I had been on a medication given through the drug company (for 2 yrs), then when that ended (which was shortly after my husband had passed), my Dr. gave me a prescription to get filled.

Well, CVS denied coverage. Wanted me to try a different medication. The only problem with this was, it was a Thursday evening, I had NO medication, the medication I was on, the side effects going off cold turkey were - suicidal thoughts (my husband had just died), my Dr. was not in the office on Fridays or the weekend, half life of medication was 1 1/2 days for me because this had happened before in the beginning when getting samples from the Dr. office, so I knew what was coming and so did the pharmacists.

A guy there had said, "Sounds like you need to talk to your insurance company," I yelled, "CVS is my insurance!!!" Every pharmacists hung their head. I know it was not their fault. And now, CVS is trying to claim to save their customers money! Flat out liars. We as employees will get our insurance company changed. Our company listens to us. Mark my word. We got the other company changed, we'll get this one changed. CVS, it would be in your best interest to read some of these reviews, take them to heart.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

If I could give Caremark zero stars, I would. I have to have monthly asthma injections that must be delivered to my doctor's office. Caremark never gets them delivered on time because they wait to put them on a UPS truck. Even though this is a standing order, I call 2 weeks before I am supposed to be stuck by a needle just to try to get it on time. Even then, the medication can be late. I've shown up to my doctor's office and the medication hasn't even been delivered!

Last month, Caremark told me they were no longer contracted with my insurance and not one single rep had the same answer. My insurance company told me Caremark was contracted, that nothing had changed! When I requested to speak to a supervisor at Caremark, the rep told me they couldn't transfer calls!!! Now, a month later and suddenly Caremark is contracted with my insurance again! I am so glad I'm my own medical advocate because my elderly mother would never be able to navigate the cave in which Caremark operates.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

So where do I start? At the end of last year I was finally prescribed a Med that I had been working closely with my doc on for 6 mos. I got it in on the Friday of New Years weekend. I went to pick it up on Saturday and they told me I needed a preauthorization. No call. No nothing. Funny thing... I was within the my deductible so my copay was minimal. So obviously I couldn't get the med. So this year we picked a different plan through my work and it had a lower deductible for meds. Because of my wife's illness we hit it pretty quick. I put the order in after my wife had checked that we did meet the deductible.

We checked on their app and called in and both told us that we had met the deductible and the copay was $29. So when I went to pick it up they informed me that it was $271! I said what??? I have since spent nearly 4 hours on the phone with no result! I was told that an account specialist was to call me. I called at 3 today and was like helloooo? The lady told me that I would have to wait 24-72 hours, TODAY, TODAY she tells me this?!? WTH Caremark!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

First the local CVS didn't order the correct manufacturer that my Physician clearly writes on all scripts of this medication I've been on for over 10 years. Then they want to run it on my insurance again after it was their mistake and come back when they got the correct manufacturer in. I call Caremark who were very nice and they say no. They shouldn't run it again on my insurance & I'd just pay my copay when it comes in. Well long story short the local CVS was awful on both times and I'm having to have it run again on my insurance, pay more or don't get the medication. Also, this is now the SECOND time. They still don't have the correct medication/manufacturer and so I'm still waiting and going to pay more!!! Ridiculous! I have plenty notes and such as well.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Why in God or anyone's name should I need to provide a pre-authorization for a medication that I have been taking for over a decade, from the same doctor, operating at the same location? To me, this is unwarranted, unacceptable and most certainly ill-regarded. As a woman in her 30s, I would hope that I was "age appropriate" to determine the proper effective dosage of the medication that I've been prescribed to for FIFTEEN YEARS (!!!) by the same doctor, in the same location, that I am so confident in, that I flew from Austin, TX to Den to see my doc, that's how exceptional she is.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My insurance recently changed. When I called Caremark and they referred me to Specialty - I literally have spoken with 10 different people because they keep telling me different information. I took two days off from work to get this resolved trying to get my medication. Each representative had a different "plan" of how I am to get my medication which I need immediately. Even after two days of constant phone calls I DO NOT have my medication, now they tell me I need PA which I was already told by two of them I did not need. I am BEYOND frustrated. I am to the point where if I knew who to call next I would just to make sure this doesn't happen to someone else. They are either completely untrained or trained to make sure I don't get my needed medication! I am OUTRAGED by this and encourage everyone to contact the BBB.

CVS Caremark Company Information