3.8/5 (743 ratings)

About CVS Caremark

CVS Caremark Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS Caremark?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

My medication went up 115% in 2023. Last year I was allowed to get the brand name drug and this year I get the generic at 115% increase. I called and their reason was that there is a nationwide shortage on my medication so the cost went up. This is literally the definition of price gouging.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

Cvs/Caremark has the worst customer service experience. On two separate occasions, I was left without my mental health medication for weeks because CVS/Caremark kept denying the prior approvals for medication I have been on for years. I have only had them as a PBM for less than 8 months and I do not understand their function beyond denying my prescriptions, keeping me without important medicine for weeks, and making my condition worse during the waiting. The CVS Caremark customer service people are unempathetic and rude. Everyone at this company from the Executives to the call center staff should be ashamed of themselves for treating patients like this.

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

I've been on ** for six years for severe asthma. It has been at bay enough that I can run again. Out of the absolute BLUE they in collaboration with ANTHEM BCBS decided not to cover it anymore! After two weeks of having a cat and mouse with us (me and my PCP), I was unable to take the drug. Two weeks without it has had me in active asthma attack constantly. Now I have to resort to taking a drug that doesn't work. There are so many things I want to say and do right now but for the sake of censorship I'll keep it G-rated.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

We were going to on a cruise and I asked my doctor for 1 long term ** pen. He placed an order for 1 month supply. CVS Caremark took it upon themselves to increase the order from one month to 3 months without our approval. We do not use long term ** and had just ordered a 3 month supply of **. My doctor also knows this. I called them and asked them why they shipped me such a large supply of long term ** when we did not approve it and we would not use it. They said they called the doctor's office and got the extra long term ** approved. I tried to work with them and asked to return it and they said they could not return any ** because our insurance would not allow it. I said I would not pay the extra $200 when we just paid $440 for her **. They said they would see if I could just pay for the 1 month supply. I agreed on that.

After several weeks and they called me back and denied to credit the extra 2 month supply. So CVS took it upon themselves to increase my daughter's long term ** from one month to 3 months and did not reach out to me and then tells me I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR THE COST. Even though no one called me or got my approval. So the original order was one month and they increased it to 3 months and are blaming the doctor's office. I even have a letter that states the original order was 1 month and that CVS increased it to 3 month supply.

So I am stuck with 2 extra months of ** that will go to waste that I cannot give away or sell and an extra $150 due to CVS Caremark's greediness and mistake. Clearly if you look at the notes and order history I would not order 9 vials of ** and a 3 month supply of long term **. My daughter uses a pump not shots. This is a big company who upsold my prescription to my doctor's office and I got stuck with the bill. This cannot be legal! They did not even speak with my doctor. They spoke with an office clerk who knows nothing of my daughter's ** regime. There has to be a legal system to stop this. Shame on you CVS Caremark. This is the worst mail order company I have ever used! I will send a letter to the BBB and also my insurance company. It should not be legal to charge a customer without his or her approval. So the doctor's office gets to decide what and how much ** I can afford?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

How frustrating, Caremark decided in October 2022 not to cover Lantas for diabetes and notified me the first part of Jan. 2023 that it would not be covered and refused to fill my prescription. The open season under my federal plan ended on approximately Dec. 12, 2022 but they waited until Jan. 2023 to let me know they would not cover Lantas. To add insult to injury they said I should have affirmatively called them before renewing Blue Cross/Caremark health plan to see if they covered Lantas for the next year. Really, a multibillion dollar corp can easily notify patients about their decision not to cover this drug especially with computer data programs. Definitely should be investigated.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

CVS Caremark mail-order pharmacy is by far the worst I have ever dealt with over the years. The entire CVS Caremark Team - customer service reps, pharmacy techs, pharmacists - is ill-equipped to handle the most basic matters for customers. They have given me the run-a-round on numerous occasions. It takes them forever to get the information and process a simple prescription order. They do not provide timely and accurate information. If there was any way whatsoever to avoid using them, I would in a heartbeat, even if it cost me more money. The federal and state government regulators should investigate CVS Caremark and its poor practices and insist on a course-correction plan of action.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

This year our pharmacy (prescription) changed to CVS Caremark. Since yesterday I am on call with CVS Caremark and their specialty division, it’s been 9 hours. Still it’s not resolved. Still each rep is kicking me to other person on other department. I even brought Humira insurance specialty person, they were on the call for 7 hours explaining what to do to CVS Caremark and CVS Caremark member doesn’t know what to do. Worst nightmares with them. I am not even sure how they are still in the service industry and overcharge all medication. Going to escalate through corporate channel on their worst service. I spoke to couple of Sr rep now, they sound promising they will be able to resolve it. Wow, it takes 9 hours to get someone Sr person who can understand what’s going on.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

It's a shame that no stars is not an option. It all started with me trying to get my prescriptions mail ordered. I couldn't get anyone to understand what I was calling about. I wound up asking my doctor to call and they were able to get it straightened out. Prescriptions arrived with a balance due. I called to attempt to pay it. Once again, the idiot on the other end couldn't understand what I was calling about. I asked for a supervisor. She tried to help me again. After 45 minutes of wasting my time and waiting on hold, I was finally connected to someone else. Supervisor? Who knows. I was disconnected as she was introducing herself.

I had thought about leaving my HSA card on file so I wouldn't have to call again, ever. But after reading these other reviews, no way will I trust them with ANY credit card. Now I will wait for them to figure out their bill was never paid and address that when the notices come. I was devastated when my insurance told me that I would have to switch from Walgreens to CVS. I had heard horror stories and now I have lived it first hand. Worst pharmacy ever.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

I have been dealing with an issue with this company since August, which has yet to be resolved regarding a generic medication which in past years I was never charged for. Without any notice or authorization, Caremark sent this particular medication and charged my credit card $120.10, for two billing cycles. I have had to call more than seven times, as well as spending countless hours on the phone, speaking with their offshore customer service, which was a complete waste of time. Even requesting and speaking with someone in the US proved to also be a waste of time. This is the poorest customer service of any company I have worked with and the worst part is that this was for medications. No supervisor could even tell me why I was not apprised of this change. This company needs a complete overhaul with their customer service team. Based on all the reviews I have read, it appears corporate is not interested in correcting and training their representatives.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

TLDR: CVS had a glitch. I paid over $3500, and they refunded less than half.

As a two-time cancer survivor, I must take various medications and cannot afford to miss more than 1-2 doses in a week. When my insurance changed from employer-paid to self-pay via COBRA, CVS's computer system had an unspecified error that meant my medication was no longer covered. To be clear, my insurance coverage never lapsed and I had reached my out-of-pocket maximum for that year already. Before this, I had 0% out-of-pocket responsibility. Because I was almost out of my medications I paid for them myself with a promise from the pharmacist that I would be refunded. This happened two months in a row and cost me over $3,500.

After the system was fixed I submitted a refund request and received a check for less than $650. Several refills had been mistakenly labeled as duplicates, and few if any of the remaining medications received a full refund. Naturally, I disputed this amount, and after a few weeks, I received another check. This one was for less than $750. When I tried to dispute this again, I was handed to the representative who is paid to just tell the caller "No" in as many ways as needed, up to ignoring what I said.

When I called another time I was put in touch with a consumer advocate, who told me that he wished things were different but there was nothing he could do. Apparently, it is company policy to only refund the discounted wholesale amount the company pays, and not the higher price an individual has to pay, despite the fact that the company is at fault for the problem. Most of the people answering the phone were incredibly helpful and friendly, and I understand they were merely messengers carrying bad news. The company policy itself is what is incredibly frustrating and abusive. Cancer is expensive, and if I had not been given money from friends and family to help pay for it my family would have $0 in our bank. This money was not just an inconvenience.

CVS Caremark Company Information