1.07/5

914 CVS Caremark Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Placed an emergency order for diabetic insulin supplies online. I stated that I had a one week deadline before I ran out. Their website accepted my order and said "In process". A week later it still said "In process". I called them. Spent 3 hours on hold after being cut off 3 times. Finally reached a person. She had no clue of what to do. Said that they could not supply my prescription even though their website accepted it and said it was in process. Diabetics can die without the needed supplies. They didn't seem to care. HORRIBLE SERVICE!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Saw my doctor on September 28, 2018. Three RX's were submitted to Caremark on that date. After a week of not hearing anything I called them. They claimed to have not gotten the RX's. Doctor has re-submitted them several times and I have called them several times to follow-up. After two weeks plus I called this morning (10/15/18) and Caremark is still not sure of what they are doing? One lie after another. Two of these RX's they have been filling for more than twenty years and the third for at least ten years.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

It is a shame that I have called and are in a state of emergency and they told me one lie after another lie. They told me they would deliver my medication by a certain time and that has been a lie and they do not care if I am going through a lot right now. They are the most not caring people you can ever talk to. They say they care but they won't call the pharmacist. They said, "We sent them an email." I just hate that I will not get my medication before a hurricane. They are liars.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

CVS Caremark is the mail order provider for BC/BS. THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO DEAL WITH. Caremark goes out of their way to avoid filling an order or else try to sell an alternate at exorbitant prices. For example, they lied to me about B12 by trying to sell me an alternate costing $1,008.08 instead of regular cost of $1.92. Please, BC/BS DUMP THIS CROOKED LYING COMPANY NOW!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

2 years ago my insurance changed, while it is still BCBS, Caremark CVS is on the pharmacy card and they make it difficult if not impossible for me to use my local pharmacy that is within walking distance. Instead I'm forced to use mail order or CVS that is 20 mins away. I got an automated msg saying my prescription was ready but when I got there, no prescription and they don't have anything on file. I've been taking these same bc pills for about 15 yrs. Back in June I was on the phone with Caremark for over 2 1/2 hrs trying to straighten out this one long term Rx. Apparently they still didn't get it right. I get automated phone calls that say, "Caremark" and nothing else.

The personnel manning the phones are trained only to say, "I'm so sorry for the inconvenience." The first time I called they told me my medication had been discontinued and I googled it while on the phone. The name brand was (which I already knew) but the generic was readily available and I had to educate them on this. I asked one time if a pharmacist was available to talk to and no, there are none at Caremark. I resent being told where I choose to do business and resent having my prescriptions controlled and continually messed up by Caremark. BCBS must be saving a lot of money at the expense of members time. Aren't we paying them for this managed "care"?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS Caremark?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I called Caremark to get a waiver so I can have my local pharmacy fill one prescription. They will not issue a waiver. My closest CVS PHARMACY is almost 20 miles away. Almost all of my other prescriptions need to be compounded. I have to go to a compounding pharmacy to get medicine I am not allergic to. I want all my prescriptions filled in one place so that any contraindications are caught and all drug allergies are in one place. Caremark will not issue a waiver. They would not even call the account manager to ask for a waiver. This is heavy handed. Now I am paying both the insurance premium AND full price for my prescriptions. We have our insurance benefits through our employer. This is wrong. We are shopping elsewhere for insurance coverage when it is time to re-enroll.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Over the past few months there has been hassle after hassle with CVS with almost all divisions (PBM, Retail, Mail Order) that it's difficult to know where to begin to report on it. Let me begin, then, by saying that I believe that the pharmacists and technicians at the local retail stores are good people who are just trying their best to do their jobs in a challenging environment. My ire is reserved for those higher up the chain and especially those decision-makers on the PBM side who seem to lack the requisite logic and wisdom necessary to make sound decisions regarding prudent and safe patient care.

To summarize, here's a brief list of the things that have gone so poorly in dealing with CVS: Took over a month to get an approval for a medically necessary drug. Within that time it took at least 3 phone calls to expedite the matter. At least one, if not two of the Caremark telephone customer assistance agents had failed to act on the situation as they had promised. That month-long lag also caused some technical difficulties at the retail level.

Someone substituted another kind of medication dispensing unit than specified by the physician on prescription. When I pointed out the discrepancy (error), no one could identify how that happened except to say that they didn't have the device in stock. Several phone calls and visits to obtain the prescribed device, each time with it not available. Funny, but other local pharmacies have these for sale! Given that we were still waiting for the item to be in stock at the local pharmacy, we decided to purchase the device and have it filled at a different pharmacy. To do that, another prescription for the device was required, although the prescription was written for refills to it.

Called Caremark to discuss the situation. They say that the delivery device is not covered! How so... And why didn't the CVS retail pharmacy know that? And how could the other one be covered if delivery devices (as a category of equipment) are not covered? Spoke to a supervisor about the situation and it was confirmed that with a prescription a medication's required delivery device IS indeed covered. Well, that was good to know on a future order for the device. However, there was a catch to that... It would have to be through mail order. And yet another new prescription would be required.

Whatever happened to prescriptions that have refills? Does CVS choose to ignore that... Unless of course you have opted in for auto-refills and robocalls? Well, I haven't opted in to receive robocalls, but they called again today! When I called CVS Caremark to find out what it was about, they claim it wasn't from them, but from the retail pharmacy. They couldn't explain why I had received a robocall when I had opted out. I asked for a corporate number to call to request again that I not receive robocalls, and the number they gave seems invalid... A rapid busy signal. If it were possible to rate CVS with ZERO STARS that is the rating they really merit.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I have been on the same medication at the same doctor's office for years and 2 years ago when my company changed insurance I was told I had to use CVS. They never get my prescription filled on time and they blame everyone else for their issues. I asked for a corporate contact and instead of giving a phone or email they gave an address. Do you know where that is going to go? NOWHERE! They do not care about people. They are all about money. Larry Merlo CEO/President will not speak to customers I was told by the office. No one is available to contact because they are too busy scamming people! What are they going to do when they kill someone because they screwed up the medication? Say, sorry that happened to you. REALLY? This company is terrible. I told them all my issues and they still didn't seem to care.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

My company recently switched insurance and they use CVS Caremark to fill prescriptions. My doctor has had me on this prescription for years and they will not fill it because it is not FDA approved for use for the condition she has me take it for. They are the ONLY company who has refused to fill this prescription! It’s obvious, all they care about is the money. They should not be deciding what is best for me and leave that up to my doctor who sees me on a regular basis. My doctor knows what works for me and what is the best for me. Money hungry company at its best! They will find any reason to deny a claim and line their pockets instead of helping their customers.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I get the same prescriptions for 5 years and every time I put my order in I have a problem. They don't know how to fill order properly. I paid them for my medicine then my husband put in his prescription. They gave him his prescription of my payment and told me I have to pay again because we have a balance and I said, "How are you going to take the money out my account and charge me and give my meds to my husband. Let him get his meds free and come back and charge me again." The purpose I was paying is for my meds not his. I was so furious that I have to find another pharmacy because I can’t stand CVS Caremark. Been going on for 5 years.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I recently switched companies and they use CVS Caremark for their Prescription service. They have the worst service I have ever experienced! I am on my fourth maintenance medication requiring a PA. This is ridiculous! the company puts saving a buck over the health of their clientele. I will never recommend any corporation to use their services and would never recommend using their pharmacies. I am utterly disgusted with my treatment and will continue to do everything to not utilize their services. I am also filing a complaint with my HR department against CVS Caremark.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have spinal stenosis and lumber region and have been denied my medication which is pain medicine. I understand that it has been abused but I am a person in need and had no problem with prior authorization and approval for several months. Now needing new prior authorization I’m being denied. I have been in pain for 30 days. Mind you I also just had a recent hysterectomy surgery and have no pain medicine. Can you imagine as a woman with that feels like plus having the lower entire back aching. I feel like I’m being totally disrespected in all aspects and discriminated. If I have to pay for my medication I will have a lawyer seek a lawsuit because I want to be compensated. This is inhumane and unethical for a person to be treated like that especially when you had no problem the first time approving it. My system is clean. I’m not a drug addict or junkie but a sick patient in need and can I get my medicine because of CVS Caremark.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have been disabled since 2012 the same year I lost my husband. I have been treated on many prescriptions through the years and finally got the right pain management. CVS Caremark has covered my meds for the past 14 years until recently they said they are not paying for my meds anymore whether or not my Dr. says it's a medical necessity. They sent a letter to my doctor trying to tell him how to prescribe my meds, he was in disbelief and should contact a lawyer. My meds have not changed and they said they will not cover meds they have covered for years. My quality of life has just been shot down by Caremark. Is there anybody out there going thru the same thing? When has the law allowed the pharmacy determine your healthcare.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I am in disbelief that the practices they are allowed to get away with are legal!!! I am on meds for depression and anxiety; I have been for 6 years. Recently my psychiatrist took me off. I took my last daily maintenance med 9 days ago. I have to see my psych monthly for my 30-day script renewals. On my last visit, we ascertained that the current med level is working so she upped my refill to 60 days. HERE'S WHERE MY HELL BEGINS... I have the script called into Walgreens which I switched to because they still accept Tricare, my secondary insurance. (PS - CVS STOPPED TAKING TRICARE insurance a few years back). When I go to pick up my med, I was told that CVS CAREMARK DECLINED the refill. I asked why? Problem/demand #1 - because they will ONLY FILL MAINTENANCE MEDS AT CVS. Fine!!! I'll pay the damn copay since you don't accept my Tricare secondary insurance.

I transfer the script to CVS. I go there to pick it up and CVS Caremark declined again a 2nd time. Reason: CVS CAREMARK will ONLY REFILL MAINTENANCE MEDS in 90 DAY INCREMENTS. How is that legal with psych meds??? My psychiatrist just upped my dosage from 30 to 60 days and who are YOU, CVS Caremark to refuse that. Because my med regime is newly stabilized, my Doctor is comfortable upping it to 60 days...how can you go against doctors’ orders and require (read: DEMAND) that the script is for 90 days. THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. My Doctor even called in the script and spoke to the pharmacist. Still not refilled.

CVS CAREMARK how can you refuse psych meds and demand they be refilled in 90 days??? I haven't had my meds in 8 days. What if that caused me to be suicidal (I am not but someone going through the same hell might just become suicidal). I see a class action lawsuit coming your way CVS CAREMARK. I've also read other reviews...general consensus...horrible insurance company and you have the largest share of the prescription insurance market. Another reviewer...whose meds you also declined, was going to lose her pregnancy because of that. Lawsuit. When are the legal people in the pharmaceutical insurance industry going to crack down on CVS CAREMARK??? If they don't, they will be culpable too. Is it going to take one or more suicides before anyone stops this???

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Today, Sept 19, 2018 I had a manager flat out tell me I'm banned from CVS stores, confused I asked her what she was talking about and she said I can't be in the store and was told to leave. She was also in a heated argument with another customer as I was leaving, she seem to have a habit of doing this. Additionally, this isn't the 1st time she's done this to me as I switched pharmacy’s because she had become unbearable with nasty attitude. I have no idea why she's this disgusting to customers, but it is not right for someone to treat patrons, of the company you work for, this way.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

It took a week to get my progesterone medication. I learned today that my hormone levels have dropped and I will be losing the pregnancy. It was prescribed on Thursday. I called CVS specialty on Friday and was told I had to wait for it to go through insurance. I was never given the option to pay upfront to hurry up the delivery. Found out Monday when I called THEM, that it was not covered so I paid for it out of pocket. When given the option to have it signature required or left at door I made a big point to make them leave it at the door because I knew I was going to be at work. They did not record this correctly and when the package finally came they did not leave it.

I called CVS to find out why, only to be told that I had stated I wanted a signature at delivery. I told them to go listen to the phone call. They did and called me back trying to get the package re-delivered, which could not. It was finally brought back to my house today. I had blood work done earlier today. It was too late to start the hormone therapy. Miscarriage after progesterone took a week to get.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Every single time I need to refill my medication through CVS Specialty Pharmacy they have told me they could not refill it due to the insurance company rejecting it. They claim my authorization codes from my doctor are not valid even though they are. When dealing with this issue, they informed me they would call me if my medication was not approved. They decided not to call me and instead let me find out on my own that my medication was not shipped. They never reached out to my doctor's office but when I confronted them about why I didn't receive my medication they said they had been in contact with my doctor numerous times in the past month and that my doctor has not returned calls or emails. My doctor has no file of this.

Now my doctor and a supervisor at CVS have to have a phone discussion. And all my doctor can do to fix this, is give them the exact same authorization codes they have been using the past 2 months to fill this prescription. CVS is extremely deceitful. They will lie on the phone to keep themselves from getting in trouble due to it being recorded. I have had this issue with 3 separate medications all coming from 3 different doctors and CVS says the same thing, every single time, about every single medication. And now I'm left without my medication over an entire weekend at the least because they did not get in touch with me to let me know my order was not arriving today, and they never called my doctors days prior like they were suppose to in order to prevent this from happening.

They led me to believe my medicine would be here this morning. If I didn't have to get this medication from them, I wouldn't. Every month I have to wonder if I'm going to receive a very important, time sensitive medication or if I'm going to be lied to on the phone to believe it will be sent and then have to go without. Do not order from CVS if you don't have too! Worst Pharmacy I have ever worked with.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Since when does a “board” of people that they claim has doctors & pharmacists on it, but who knows if that’s true, claim to know more than your own physician that has tested you for more than 20 years? Caremark has made me switch my short and long acting insulins and even with a prior authorization from my doctor says I have to do trial and error with all the insulins they choose before I can possibly get my old meds back. I was also told by a CSR that I was wasting my time fighting them because they will never approve the meds that worked for me for the last 6 years. Truly, Caremark doesn’t care what is wrong with you. Type 1 diabetes is a tricky disease to manage and even small changes can cause drastic effects. Look at the overall stars and see how poorly this company is rated by working people trying to live and maintain with their illnesses - something is very wrong with Caremark making life or death choices for people!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Forcing my husband to suddenly stop a Rx. Now he is in danger!!! I HATE that they have the gall to denying a medicine that my husband NEEDS. I am extremely nervous that he will end up in serious trouble without his psych med. I don’t understand how this is legal!!! This is an EVIL Corporation, to put save $ over CARE. If someone happens to him I WILL SUE!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Forced to use CVS mail order through company insurance. Paid $140 for diabetic chem strips. Chemstrips temperature sensitive, and need to remain under 84 degrees to remain reliable. Live in Houston Texas. Current temp average 90-100 degrees every day. CVS goes budget and sends my strips through US Postal service (ground). No notification. Tracking gives vague response to "recheck later". Chemstrips found over 8 days after posted ship date roasting in metal mailbox. Do I trust these enough to base insulin dosage (and my life) on their results? Was $140 not enough for CVS to send them overnight? They don't care about me. My last mail order pharmacy sent all my insulin and chemistries overnight in a cooler to my doorstep along with email notification on its arrival. How I miss them!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

How do I accurately rate an "experience" that is apparently not going to happen? I've been trying to access the Caremark website for nearly a half-hour, and all I get is messages at the bottom of my computer screen to the effect of "Waiting for response from caremark.com." Occasionally, I get the website masthead that includes a box to "Log on" but when I move the cursor to that position, it doesn't allow me access. In general, I like Caremark's overall service with regard to prescriptions, but today's NON-EXPERIENCE rates a ZERO, but ZERO isn't an option, so I'll have to give it a "1". P.S. -- The computer is working perfectly in all other instances.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Trying to order my prescription online for **, the cost shows $179 for 90 days. Doctor office sends thru prescription. Go online to confirm the cost still shows $179, then a message comes up, to tell me cost unknown. So start again, same result, $179. Then again cost unknown. Call customer service, hour wait to talk to rep. explain what's going on. She pulls the prescription and confirms it states $179, but then after looking again says it's not really $179, it's closer $500, WHAT. She cannot explain why it states $179, when the cost will really be $500. This is now nuts. We go round and round to no avail. I don't have $500. Barely have the $179. We hang up never get an answer, except she listens to stuff like this all day long. Telling my neighbor, turns out she has Caremark thru Silver Scripts, takes same medication, her 30 day prescription is $49. This is utter madness.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

CVS Caremark has got to be the worst run company I’ve ever dealt with. I was taking a medication that I found out while browsing the internet, that it had been recalled due to it being tainted with a cancer causing substance by the Chinese manufacturer. So I called CVS Caremark to request a replacement and they told me they had not even heard that there was a recall for this medicine. In the meantime, I found out that my doctor as well as every other pharmacy in my area had all heard of the recall and it was all over the news. I was supposed to leave in two days to go on an overseas trip and they told me that they could not approve the replacement prescription because they had to wait for approval from this company called VPS.

This company VPS apparently is a HUGE bottleneck for everything. CVS Caremark comes to a complete crawl due to the fact that everything has to be approved by a manager of VPS (nothing gets done until a manager at VPS gives them the green light). There is no possible way that CVS Caremark can override this (or so I was told). Apparently, the whole approval process for VPS can take weeks. Long story short, I ended up having to pay out of pocket for my prescription as I didn’t have the time to wait for over a week just to see if someone at ANOTHER company (VPS) was going to approve this or not. If I had not been surfing the web that day, I would probably still be taking tainted medicine from China, as neither CVS Caremark nor VPS ever bothered to send me any notification of this.

When you use CVS Caremark, you are not dealing with one company. You will be left waiting and jumping through hoops, and dealing with a bureaucratic useless system that doesn’t care at all about the customer. It is all about saving money and making a profit. Finally, one other point I’d like to mention in regards to the financial aspect. Ever since my company switched to using CVS Caremark, ALL the medication I’ve received via mail order has been of the lowest quality and ALL of it has been from either China or India. All of it generic. CVS Caremark mail order uses only the cheapest generic drugs that they can get a hold of. You can kiss goodbye to any high quality domestically made drugs. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Yes, CVS/Caremark is the worst prescription company EVER. It doesn't help to complain to them. Contact your insurance company and file a grievance against CVS. Hopefully, if insurance companies get enough consumer complaints, they will switch to a more reputable and reliable company. I had to do this after recognizing that their IT department is completely incompetent in managing their website. Confusing and inaccurate with multiple omissions. Also, received meds not ordered and it took 16 emails to get them to refund money. Since January 1, I've had no fewer than 45 emails about ordering and/or receiving my meds. I had Walgreens for several years and never had an issue. Never.

Please. Do yourself and everyone else who has to deal with CVS/Caremark a favor and file that grievance with your insurance company. Just call their Customer Service line and tell them what you want to do. They'll have to accept it. I wish us all luck in getting rid of this hideous company. Our medications are too important to be managed by an inept group of corporate ** who are serving only their CEOs and shareholders.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I swear, CVS Caremark is corrupt. They send you mail order prescriptions you didn’t order, then refuse to take them back. They conveniently don’t tell you they are sending an order until after they have billed your credit card and shipped it, so that you can’t fight it. You call them and cancel prescriptions, and then they claim you never did and that you put in the order so they can send you more. Customer service is the worst!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We have had this prescription plan through my husband's work since January. It is by far the worst coverage we have ever had. Prescriptions that have never cost more than $40 are now $200-300. 3 members of my family need to carry ** and of course this is not covered. So we paid $350 for one **. One of my children needed new meds for ADHD... The medication 5 years ago was $20, and is now $230. My migraine medication that was always only $40, is now $120. My allergy nasal spray, again, never more than $10-20 is now $250. What is wrong with this company, with pharmaceutical companies, and with the outrageous charges? How can any family possibly afford this! This company is horrible!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I send my prescriptions in to be filled every month. For some reason, they seem to hold on to them longer than need or until I am completely out. I ship my prescriptions out next day air with the USPS on 8/1/2018. It is now 8/14/2018 and they still have not shipped my medication out. This after I paid my copay and for next day air. I have been calling for over a week to try and find out why but just get lied to being told it would ship out that day or the next.

On 8/13/2018 in the morning, I spoke with a senior rep who told me she had just spoken with the pharmacy and was told label was being printed and it would be shipped out on that day. I checked the app I have for CVS and it says they are still in processing. So I call back this morning 8/14/2018 to learn the department I need to speak with is not open yet, this is a new statement I've heard from them. If there are enough people I would like to get a class action lawsuit going against them. I know I can't be the only one they have being without my medication when I need it. Please just comment and if there are enough I will send to an attorney.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I just received the worst customer experience - I was hung up on by a senior customer service representative named Janelle when I asked for her manager's name and number. CVS Caremark charged my card $90 without my permission and is refusing to refund it. I demand a refund. I never gave permission to CVS Caremark to charge my card without calling me first. I never received a call.

I spoke with 3 different customer service representatives, Miranda, Scott, and Janelle, and they all told me different things. Miranda told me I could receive a refund, Scott said the company NEVER gives refunds (even though it's listed on the website) and Janelle said I MUST BE LYING about not giving the company permission to charge my card. How rude is that! When I said I have to get back to work (I was on the phone for over 30 mins) and asked for her supervisor's call back number she hung up on me! I want a full refund for a product that I never ordered.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I feel bad for the Customer Service reps! This is absolutely the worst company to deal with and the reps have to make up things, so CVS/Caremark doesn't look bad. I wish I had another choice, but the Company I work for decided to go the cheap route and hire CVS/Caremark. They also just stopped covering one of the meds I was on for years and made me replace it with 2 meds, which means two high co-pays instead of one co-pay. They act like they know more about my health (without seeing me), than my Doctor does. My Doctor said CVS/Caremark is impossible to deal with. It's all about the money and not my Health with CVS/Caremark!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

The worst pharmacy I have ever came in common with, no communication, one person calls you and tel you your rx in mail; the next 5 days have not received rx and when I call they tell me my order was never sent out and this has been going on for months!! I will not recommend this pharmacy to a animal!!!

CVS Caremark Company Information