2.81/5
Based on 180 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

CVS Caremark

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 22, 2018

846 CVS Caremark Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Being a senior citizen and new to Medicare I relied on a name brand I thought could be trusted, CVS Pharmacy and CVS Caremark mail order for prescription drugs required by my doctors for my health. So I called Caremark direct to get accurate pricing of all the drugs I am currently taking, they had a list and started quoting me pricing, things looked good, actually very good so I enrolled with their plan, which you can only change once a year

Well, as soon as the period for change was over and my prescriptions started coming in the mail, prices were way way off of what I was quoted, I was quoted $0.00 co-pay and then got a bill in the mail for $34.95, thinking hey that's a mistake I called and they said, "No. That's correct, you must have misunderstood" (I did not misunderstand. I wrote it down). "So ok. Let's return this", "No can't do that, you have to file a grievance, wait the outcome which could take a few weeks and it may not be in your favor." "What, what about the return, what about the drugs I need", they locked out anybody else from filing that prescription until resolved nor could I take what they sent unless I paid for them.

What a company screw the public, especially the senior citizen public. Unbelievable. All I can say is I'm locked into them for a year and as soon as that's over I'm done with them, CVS Caremark and their insurance company Silver Script are bottom of the barrel. The woman I spoke with Cassandra kept asking am I satisfied with the outcome of the conversation. I kept saying, "NO", she kept asking. I finally said, "What don't you understand about NO, you did not handle any of my concerns. Nothing." I give them a zero "0", but I had to put in a 1 star to complete the review.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

At the first of the year CVS Caremark contacted me and stated some of my drugs would not be covered, or the price would increase unless I purchased directly from their mail order service. I moved my prescription to CVS and after 3+ weeks and many phone calls I'm still having issues getting all the prescription processed. They have even had the Dr. send 3 prescription for the same drug, and they still are having issues. I have contacted customer service many times and they keep telling me everything is OK, but then, in a few days, when I check the order it shows canceled. I contacted them today, and it was the same runaround, the system canceled the order, and they will have a new prescription request sent to the DR. and get the order processed, SOMETIME IN THE NEXT YEAR...

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I am forced by ADAP to use this pharmacy and it takes forever for them to approve a new prescription with ADAP so I can make an order. You can never check if there is a problem with an order until the day of shipment when it turns out there is one and they will not notify you. They are separated in "departments" instead of one person doing everything like at a regular pharmacy. The departments do not do their job and have poor communication between each other. If I went to a regular pharmacy at a near grocery store, the prescription get verified in a day and delivered next day. With CVS Caremark it takes weeks and you have to constantly call them to make them their job.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

From one month to the next CVS changes coverage on what they will and will not pay for without communication to the patient. With your physician doing all required pre-authorizations beforehand nothing is ever satisfying to the insurance company. I recently had an appointment with my doctor and now my insurance doesn’t think I need the amount of medication that I’ve been taking for years, (because bone pain isn't the same as with someone with cancer as was their example for why they were refusing to continue to pay for my medication. I’ve had 6 bone reconstruction surgeries including a bone graph on my foot, also have 6 screws and 2 plates holding everything together.

I suffer day in and day out, from deep bone pain. I need my medication to have a better quality of life. I’m also scheduled to have another surgery for hardware removal that’s perturbing from my heel. Often I have to pay for these medications out of my pocket totaling over five thousand USD for 2017. Only to get a letter in the mail for approval from CVS/CAREMARK. Stating to go ahead to get my medications filled as they will cover the cost, since these are controlled fills when they are due. You must get them or you could suffer serious health consequences, that could lead to a stroke or something even more serious. Asking for reimbursement is impossible. They will not pay you back if you’ve paid out of pocket. I hope someone reads this and can relate or is going through the same thing. Peace and Blessings.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have had no trouble getting my prescriptions on time each month. They call, in fact they call too much, but they do go out of their way to make sure I get my medications on time. When my doctor took me off one of my medications they called me to ask if I had accidentally not ordered it, I appreciated the attention they take with my account. Entirely different experience then OptumRx. Optum seemed to go out of their way to make sure I didn't get my meds. I would spend an average of 5 hours a month on the phone with Optum arguing with them just to get them to send my medications (funny right, I thought they were in the business of selling medicine). If you have a choice, choose these guys over OptumRx.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS Caremark?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I called about a refill that was already 2 days late and was told by a representative that it had been delivered 2 days ago. I assured her that I had not receive the package and she practically called me a liar and that UPS was ALWAYS right and had indeed delivered the package. I informed her that she needed to resend immediately and she then informed me that I had no refills now and it would take another 4 days to receive. I was livid by this time, I was already out of medicine. I told them to cancel my mail order delivery immediately and that I would take care of my orders myself. I called my doctor and was given a new prescription and picked up the same day. One week later I received the old package from UPS that was never delivered. It had the delivery date on it (one week earlier). I will never use this service again.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

When they send the wrong quantity and claim it's the doctor's fault or the fault of the patient and refuse to help anyone unless they truly believe the mistake was their own that is poor service. I turned off the autorefill on the wrong quantity wrote by my doctor and turned on the autorefill for the correct quantity wrote by my other doctor but they sent the wrong script from the wrong doctor and claimed it was my fault because they sent me a text message before sending it and I did not call and correct the mistake in time.

Perhaps it was partially my fault and partially my doctors fault but it would have been pretty easy to correct it regardless. All they did was blame me and the doctor repeatedly and said they did not have to fix it. Rude unhelpful service every time I call them which is once or twice a year at most when there is a mistake because they always are rude to me and treat me like an idiot. Usually it is less painful to suffer the lack of proper meds than to deal with the agitation and stress these people cause me.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Aside from the people that work at the pharmacy (they I like), they have been good to me and have tried to work with me and understand the frustration people are going through. This merger/consumption of Aetna that was suppose to bring everyone "savings", has hiked up my prescription costs three times the amount they were. And this is just my current complaint with the prescription insurance company. Oh, and our prescription deductible was raised also, an additional fifty dollars. Great savings there. When my husband passed away I had been on a medication given through the drug company (for 2 yrs), then when that ended (which was shortly after my husband had passed), my Dr. gave me a prescription to get filled.

Well, CVS denied coverage. Wanted me to try a different medication. The only problem with this was, it was a Thursday evening, I had NO medication, the medication I was on, the side effects going off cold turkey were - suicidal thoughts (my husband had just died), my Dr. was not in the office on Fridays or the weekend, half life of medication was 1 1/2 days for me because this had happened before in the beginning when getting samples from the Dr. office, so I knew what was coming and so did the pharmacists.

A guy there had said, "Sounds like you need to talk to your insurance company," I yelled, "CVS is my insurance!!!" Every pharmacists hung their head. I know it was not their fault. And now, CVS is trying to claim to save their customers money! Flat out liars. We as employees will get our insurance company changed. Our company listens to us. Mark my word. We got the other company changed, we'll get this one changed. CVS, it would be in your best interest to read some of these reviews, take them to heart.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

If I could give Caremark zero stars, I would. I have to have monthly asthma injections that must be delivered to my doctor's office. Caremark never gets them delivered on time because they wait to put them on a UPS truck. Even though this is a standing order, I call 2 weeks before I am supposed to be stuck by a needle just to try to get it on time. Even then, the medication can be late. I've shown up to my doctor's office and the medication hasn't even been delivered!

Last month, Caremark told me they were no longer contracted with my insurance and not one single rep had the same answer. My insurance company told me Caremark was contracted, that nothing had changed! When I requested to speak to a supervisor at Caremark, the rep told me they couldn't transfer calls!!! Now, a month later and suddenly Caremark is contracted with my insurance again! I am so glad I'm my own medical advocate because my elderly mother would never be able to navigate the cave in which Caremark operates.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

So where do I start? At the end of last year I was finally prescribed a Med that I had been working closely with my doc on for 6 mos. I got it in on the Friday of New Years weekend. I went to pick it up on Saturday and they told me I needed a preauthorization. No call. No nothing. Funny thing... I was within the my deductible so my copay was minimal. So obviously I couldn't get the med. So this year we picked a different plan through my work and it had a lower deductible for meds. Because of my wife's illness we hit it pretty quick. I put the order in after my wife had checked that we did meet the deductible.

We checked on their app and called in and both told us that we had met the deductible and the copay was $29. So when I went to pick it up they informed me that it was $271! I said what??? I have since spent nearly 4 hours on the phone with no result! I was told that an account specialist was to call me. I called at 3 today and was like helloooo? The lady told me that I would have to wait 24-72 hours, TODAY, TODAY she tells me this?!? WTH Caremark!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

First the local CVS didn't order the correct manufacturer that my Physician clearly writes on all scripts of this medication I've been on for over 10 years. Then they want to run it on my insurance again after it was their mistake and come back when they got the correct manufacturer in. I call Caremark who were very nice and they say no. They shouldn't run it again on my insurance & I'd just pay my copay when it comes in. Well long story short the local CVS was awful on both times and I'm having to have it run again on my insurance, pay more or don't get the medication. Also, this is now the SECOND time. They still don't have the correct medication/manufacturer and so I'm still waiting and going to pay more!!! Ridiculous! I have plenty notes and such as well.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Why in God or anyone's name should I need to provide a pre-authorization for a medication that I have been taking for over a decade, from the same doctor, operating at the same location? To me, this is unwarranted, unacceptable and most certainly ill-regarded. As a woman in her 30s, I would hope that I was "age appropriate" to determine the proper effective dosage of the medication that I've been prescribed to for FIFTEEN YEARS (!!!) by the same doctor, in the same location, that I am so confident in, that I flew from Austin, TX to Den to see my doc, that's how exceptional she is.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My insurance recently changed. When I called Caremark and they referred me to Specialty - I literally have spoken with 10 different people because they keep telling me different information. I took two days off from work to get this resolved trying to get my medication. Each representative had a different "plan" of how I am to get my medication which I need immediately. Even after two days of constant phone calls I DO NOT have my medication, now they tell me I need PA which I was already told by two of them I did not need. I am BEYOND frustrated. I am to the point where if I knew who to call next I would just to make sure this doesn't happen to someone else. They are either completely untrained or trained to make sure I don't get my needed medication! I am OUTRAGED by this and encourage everyone to contact the BBB.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I've been using a generic medication for a chronic condition for 7 years. My health insurance, unfortunately, changed for 2018. I now have my prescription benefits through CVS Caremark. I had NO IDEA what a huge change this would be. Apparently, Caremark has decided to limit the amount of my medication. No one told me this when I dropped off my prescription even though it's a new change that all employees knew about. No one told me this after the insurance came back requiring prior authorization. I found out when I had someone try to pick up the medication the next day. They had the prescription for 30 hours at that point - yet no one thought I should be informed.

Oh - and the new policy re limitations for this particular medicine becomes effective as of February 1, 2018. Am I missing something here? I am pretty sure that it's still January. I was told that they had contacted my Dr's office right after I dropped off prescription - and again the next day - requesting information in order to process the prior authorization. Not true. I called my Dr and they were not happy when I told them that CVS was blaming them for the delay. My Dr immediately contacted Caremark and spent about 20 minutes on the phone in order to obtain a prior authorization.

As of 5:57 p.m. today, the prior authorization is still pending. I've had to obtain prior authorizations before (for specialty medications) while using Express Scripts - immediate approval after speaking with doctor. I was told that the approval might take up to THIRTY DAYS to receive. Absolutely ridiculous. I was told that I could pay for medicine out-of-pocket (by 3 different individuals) and then get reimbursed when I receive my authorization. So, I did so a couple hours ago because I will be out of my medication tomorrow around noon. Now I've read that this is most likely untrue - I am now out $$$ because they lied to me. VERY UNHAPPY.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

These dogs decided that they didn't want to pay for my medicine and reached out to my doctor and told him to change it. He went ballistic and told them I needed it and that it was working great. He also told them that I had went through several medications before this one and they didn't work. I talked to three customer service representatives and all three were equally nasty and unprofessional. HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! and more HORRIBLE. DON'T EVER USE THESE SAD ASS CROOKS!! I am looking into changing to another pharmacy and will never enter another CVS again for anything.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Needing meds on time is out of the question with CVS Specialty. They are not proactive - they wait for you to call to see if they're on schedule or planning to fulfill prescriptions. They do not allow you to call into someone you've previously had conversations with. Every time you call you take the first 10 minutes rehashing your situation. Huge waste of time - incredibly frustrating - causes severe stress for something that should not be difficult. Lots of back and forth - probably the worst experience I've had - nearly left me in tears.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Caremark Pharmacy took over 3 weeks to fill a script and it is still processing because they quoted me 4 different prices on 4 different phone calls. The staff is poorly trained and no one could tell me the actual real cost of the meds. Final quote was more than 178.00 than the previous confirmed co pay quote. I believe there is fraud happening and it must be stopped! I reported to CA Board of Pharmacy to investigate my script case.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I had dealt with CVS Caremark for a number of months for a very expensive medication. I was being helped with the copay by the pharmaceutical company, so my copay with Caremark was $10. I refilled with text, and was sent my medication as usual, only to be followed up with an $800 bill. The pharmaceutical company had maxed out my copay. Caremark will not call you ahead of time in such a case to ask if you still need it filled. When I spoke to a representative to complain, I was told there is no “complaint” department, but would make a note in my file. They have since turned me over to collections. My advice - buyer beware.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I had been getting a specialty medicine with no issue from my retail pharmacy for a year when my health insurance company decided to switch it over to CVS Caremark mail order. I spent about a month setting up my account and my prescription (they could not just take the existing prescription from the store along with the copay coupon.) When I initially gave them my information, someone took my birth date down wrong and when I called in again, I was asked my birth date. Since it didn't coincide with what they erroneously took down, they said they would have to talk to my insurance company to verify. Then, I called again. An operator corrected it based on my word. (Thank God for her!)

After many phone calls, I called about a week out to make sure all was well. I was told my prescription was not written right and to contact my doctor and have her call. I did, and the doctor said they told her there were no problems on their end (what?!) A day later, a CVS Caremark rep called to let me know my prescription would be sent overnight, and did I want a sharps container as well? I said yes. The next day, my prescription (which is normally one cartridge) came in two smaller milligram vials and there was no sharps container.

This was late on Friday, so there was no way to contact the doc to resolve the issue. There is no way I can administer this medicine as it is in a different vehicle (vials vs. cartridge). I called CVS Caremark to try to determine what could be done and they said to contact my doctor (gone for the day) and that they would only take the medicine back if it wasn't my fault as determined their recordings of phone discussions. Thanks guys!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

They do not deliver medications on weekends or on Mondays! The medications take 10-15 days to actually get to you even though they say they will send it overnight. Customer Service reps are not trained properly, and don't provide helpful responses. In short, I hate my overall experience with CVS and ESPECIALLY Caremark!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Took 4 prior authorization rejections to get my Psoriatic arthritis drug approved and now that I am approved still will not send the medication. I have spent over 4 hours trying to convince pharmacy to send the medication. First they did not even show the prior auth approved and I had to pull it out of their own system. Second the drug requires a load dose which is exactly the same as the regular medication but taken every week instead of once a month. They won't send me the medication because the Dr sent in for a load dose and the prior auth is for once a month. So I told them to send me the one shot, and they still will not do it. They were supposed to call the Doctor and did not, they were supposed to call me back with status twice (different managers) and they do not. Absolutely horrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

This company should not be allowed to operate. My child had a liver transplant a few years ago and needs medication every 12 hours TO STAY ALIVE! Caremark Specialty will not be happy until they kill my child. They make it impossible to get his meds and I truly believe make it hard so he will die and they will not have to fill his prescription. Looking for a strong law firm!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Registration process only offers ONE option when adding a phone or email for notifications. That option INCLUDES accepting marketing emails. There is NO opt-out for marketing. The entire registration process was painful. I haven't even used the service yet, and I'm already super unhappy. I've sent a message to my employer. Can't believe they've done this to ALL their employees!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Don't ever ever ever count on your script being to you on time! For 12 months they have to be called continuously to get them to do their job! Now it is Christmas time and they don't have my script to me and taking ** 30s on a regular basis. Causes major problems when someone like those people let you run out for stupid stupid ignorant reasons! It's always the same every month! Can't believe they're such a big company running this way. Actually, I'm surprised that they have a 3 rating! The customer service people are great. Great people to talk to and get to help you but their hands are tied because CVS has buildings scattered across the eastern US where they do all the different stuff. Why isn't it localized??? Ridiculous!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I could go on & on about the issues I’ve experienced with CVS & CAREMARK. I cannot understand how CAREMARK can get by with all but forcing me to use CVS Pharmacy in order to get my prescriptions filled & paid for. How are they getting by with forcing their insured customers to use this particular pharmacy in order to get their FULL benefits!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I am trying to get clarity on a prescription. After wading through their online teleprompting system that covers every imaginable circumstance except for the one I need -- viz, talk to a pharmacist about a new prescription -- I was finally able to connect to a pharmacist. These people are a joke. They are totally unresponsive and only want a valid credit card, even though the payment for this is $0.0. Have no idea how they are trained or if they even know what they are doing.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I had 6 renewed prescriptions submitted by photo 3 days ago. I've monitored the app and saw no evidence of them being processed or received. I submitted a request for call back to no avail. Finally today I phoned customer care and announced my employment affiliation while asking if I’m at the right department and was assured that I was. Fifteen frustrating minutes later, I was transferred. I asked why and was told this is the department that handles my affiliation.

After another 10 minutes she located my photo submissions. She said that one (1) of them had an item that was illegible or wrong and they’ve reached out to my physician. I asked why wasn’t I alerted? Why weren’t the other meds processed, or annotated as received? She said, "it didn’t concern you, it’s nothing that you can fix, we don’t do it that way." She added, "but you can go to a local pharmacy and get a partial fill until we can get this resolved." I abruptly asked her to cease processing and close my mail order account. I will no longer require their services.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

R. G of Lancaster MA, I feel your pain. I am also from MA, maybe that's the problem. LOL. I get a monthly script for 720 tablets (long story). I picked it up on 9/22/17 no problem. On 10/26 I was told I needed a new prior auth. It had never been issue before, so I wasn't worried. This time it was denied for quantity limit. My doctor submitted the reason for the quantity. Still denied. We filed an appeal, denied, 2nd appeal, denied, external review, denied. "External" yeah right. It went to the same address as the others on a Friday and was denied on Monday. They approved me for 360 tablets every 75 days! Big whoop. They dated my approval for Oct 26th. I feel I should have been able to get the 360 tabs right away. They said to me on the phone, I had to wait 75 days from the last fill, or Dec. 5th. (Now, I didn't make up that date - LOL - I didn't know off the top of my head, while I was on the phone with them, what date was 75 days from 9/22).

So I went to the pharmacy on Dec 5th to get my medication filled. DENIED. I called CVS Caremark and they said, "we will get you an override so you can get your prescription tonight." It wouldn't go through so he spoke with his senior rep. who said that because I had gotten 720 on 9/22, that was essentially a 150 day supply and I couldn't fill again until Feb 3 2018! They also said, as with your situation, that my doctor is the one who authorized the 320 tablets for 75 days which is NOT true, that is all they would approve. Like you said, how can THEY determine that what my doctor is prescribing me is too much? I told them that this is completely unacceptable. How can they count a prescription that was filled on a prior authorization from a prior year, Oct 4, 2016-Oct 4, 2017 against a quantity limitation for a prior authorization dated Oct 26, 2017-Oct 26, 2018?

For one, when I picked up my medication on 9/22 I didn't KNOW that when I WOULD go to get it in a month they were GOING to limit my quantity. Two, when I went to get my medication in Oct, it was because I was OUT of medication from Sept. Three, the quantity of medication in Sept was ALREADY authorized, so they can't count it against a FUTURE authorization. Then to top it all off, I get a letter stating that they are PLEASED TO INFORM ME that starting in Jan 2018, they are cutting my script down again to 180 tabs every 75 days! So, if I was approved for 360 tabs, but can't get that until Feb. 3 but they are cutting it down to 180 in Jan, that tells me they NEVER intended on giving me 360 tablets!!

They are shady crooks. Every insurance plan through my employer uses them. I checked into my husband's insurance, and they use them too. There is no way around them. I filed with the Mass. Dept of Insurance and they told me I have to file with the Group Insurance Commission who oversees my insurance. I contacted them and they said I have to speak with CVS Caremark. This is RIDICULOUS! There has to be SOMEONE above them! If I could give them less than 1 star, I would!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Received an email stating auto refill was being processed. Called CVS Caremark and was told they have no record of me in the system. Very strange since they have processed RX's for me before. The rep said there was nothing she could do for me - exact words. Another issue - they sent a RX to the wrong address and they said there was nothing they could do. I told them they sent it to the correct address the 1st time not for sure why it was sent to my old address the 2nd time. Again, nothing they could do. Had to end up paying for RX out of pocket. I prefer to go through the regular pharmacy since the mail order service is HORRIBLE.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I want to say that I have used OTHER mail order pharmacies before. Successfully. Not this one. Annual prescriptions randomly “expire” before the year ends. New Rx’s get your MD a million calls with ridiculous questions. They are pharmacists, right? They have PhD. They sent MY Rx’s to my daughter in Florida and told me I had to get them back! Excuse me! Delays and more delays. Emails, phone calls finally fix the problem 2-3 weeks later and 3 phone calls later. This company is awful! They must hire from the bottom of the barrel.

CVS Caremark Company Information

www.caremark.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use