3.18/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 18, 2017

813 CVS Caremark Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I was prescribed a growth hormone for my son. We'd taken all the expensive blood tests and bone scans and Caremark denied the claim for a reason that didn't make sense. Beware. They have people who yes you to death and then you get someone on the line that barely speaks English or is incredibly rude. They rejected us by robo-call. This is a life altering drug and my son is about out of time to grow as he is older - he's 4'10" and 14 years old, unbelievable - looking it up on the growth chart - he's in the 3% range. My son used to be a happy person, now he is depressed, withdrawn and I believe will need therapy. We were so hopeful.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I feel obligated to let anyone who is researching CVS Caremark services to be prepared with endless patience and expect disappointment when it comes to getting prescriptions filled. CVS Caremark has drs send in scripts electronically (if the script qualifies) & then hounds the Dr's office over and over asking for more information. Trying to get medication approved for patients ASAP, the dr's office ends up writing an equivalent script (medication by a different company) such as the generic is not being approved, so they write for the brand name. CVS Caremark quickly gets the brand name approved and filled costing me $100 compared to $8 for the generic.

Why would they need so much information from the Dr's office? Not only have I been taking this medication for many years, but CVS Caremark has filled it in the past and was offering to get me a refill by contacting my dr's office. How did CVS Caremark offering to refill my generic script turn into them filling with the brand name script? This gives me cause to wonder if CVS Caremark isn't getting some sort of kickback from specific drugs??? Anyway you explain it, the generic $8 script sent in electronically by the dr is still "on hold"; whereas the $100 brand script (sent in electronically by the dr's office over 1 1/2 weeks after the generic) was promptly filled, charged to my account and mailed out. Of course, CVS Caremark does not accept returns, so be prepared to pay for the most expensive script you hadn't of budgeted for!

Amongst all this chaos, I had many communications with CVS Caremark, & not once did I get more than a cut & paste "generic" reply. 90% of the time the reply did not even address the topic of my concern. I even escalated the communication & got the same cut & paste reply I was unhappy with. Pffft! My guess is that these communications are sourced out and not being answered by people educated in the field of prescription drugs, or in customer service for that matter. Though that is my personal belief, not a fact I have/can prove. My nightmares with CVS Caremark just continue on & on. My insurance does not offer another alternative to get 3 month refills for many of my medications, so I am stuck. If You as a consumer have an option, steer clear of CVS Caremark.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

As a BC/BS member this mail order pharmacy is one of my benefits. I have used them for more than five years. I am beginning to think they have re-organized somehow or are in the process of being taken over by another company. I complained once to Blue Cross because they were not acknowledging my orders faxed from my doctors office.

The two prescriptions happened to be pills you cannot skip, blood pressure etc. My health insurance company cleared that up, but then I started to have trouble with their billing. Early this year I got a letter saying they would no longer take PAYPAL. So, I started using charge cards also with my checking account. Early on, a representative told me they give 250 worth of credit. That was her argument for transferring my three prescriptions (one of which is eighty dollars) to CVS CAREMARK.

Then about two and a half months ago I was told by another representative now they want the balance paid in full by 60 days. They are not honoring that either. Their representatives will keep you on the phone forever, not respecting your time. Sometimes I think they are lazy and hope if they keep you long enough then they won't have to answer to waiting customers. Some of them can get nasty just out of the blue, for no apparent reason.

On Friday an agent told me "you are talking to CVS CAREMARK now". They did something illegal and charged a drug to a saved charge card online. I told them no card, debit, or charge, was listed as a default payment. Those saved cards were for my convenience only. When they sent me an email (on their site) after my call they claimed that payment was set as my default. Their agent asked me if it was and I said NO.

I wrote to the charge card company and mailed the letter the same day (Friday) telling them of the situation. That bank's agent told me they would investigate and have it credited back to my card, but they needed it in writing. Now, as much as this is bad, it gets worse. I am young for my age and healthy, thanks to a good doctor and the right prescriptions.

I feel sorry for old, sick people who are harassed and intimidated by this company. Just hearing or reading their lies upset me more than once. I told them that I am getting ready to buy a car in Jan of 2018. I am carefully watching all my bills. I did not know I had a bill from them that was delinquent. I have checked my credit report in the past three or four months now and it shows I was reported to the credit bureau for non-payment twice. It wouldn't be any other company but them.

I am thinking how rotten a company, a pharmacy no less, can be. Now I will be cautious and on guard when I have to call them at all. They have used my innocent conversations against me. These people know my medical history better than any other company. Within the past few years I have had three consecutive surgeries. They have never not received payment for my drugs during that whole year; and that was the low point of my life, both physically and financially.

I hope somebody looks into this. From now on, now that I know how nasty and greedy CAREMARK is, I will pay more attention to payments and try to keep my account paid down as much as I possibly can. When things settle down for me I think I will transfer two or three drugs nearby again. With winter coming on this mail order company comes in handy. They should be investigated for their dealing with patients that could be very old and very sick. My suggestion to anybody being able to choose pharmacies, skip this one. I gave them two stars because my orders usually show up on time and the pill count is correct.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with an insurance company. They are TERRIBLY slow at getting pre-authorizations completed and then end up denying them for completely ridiculous reasons. Trying to get a medication is literally like pulling teeth... And the customer service representatives I spoke with were SO rude and told me it was my job to call my doctor to get them to submit additional information for pre-authorization. They are awful. When you need medication at all it is a stressful time and they do nothing but add more stress and worry. Absolutely nothing is easy when dealing with Caremark.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I dropped off my prescription to be filled at my local CVS in Silver Spring, MD. I was informed that I could only have 40 of my 270 pills filled at this time (13 days of a 3 pill a day prescription, NOT even 2 weeks worth). I have sat on hold, been bounced around, lied to, treated badly, hung up on. On Nov. 1, without notice to myself or my doctor - CareMark (owned by CVS) decided at a whim that they could simply change and limit the number of pills I could receive of my arthritis medication for pain. For 4 days CareMark, CVS, and Carefirst have jerked me around and screwed with my prescription not allowing me to have it filled to the 3 month supply. (Goodness knows the last place I want to go to every 13 days is the local CVS with terrible customer service).

First I was told by CareMark to call Carefirst; then Carefirst said, "No, you need to contact CareMark," then it was that CareMark needed an authorization for the 270 days from my doctor (who supplied it via electronic portal), then it was, "No we need an appeal." Carefirst is like, "It's CareMark," CVS says, "It's Carefirst." I pay these clowns $996.00 per month for my health insurance and they won't refill a prescription I have had for 4 years. Not to mention that CareMark/CVS took a "stand" on ** on Nov. 1 (WITHOUT TELLING THE DOCTORS or THE PATIENTS) that they were going limit it to the 40 pills per month. They said they sent the notification out on November 2nd, but the change was effective beginning on Nov. 1. It's time that this gravy train ENDS. It's time for a single payer system and eliminate this rat race.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS Caremark?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I got a new prescription for ** 10mg 90 days supply and CVS Caremark charged me $168. I have medical insurance. I checked the prices online and found out the same prescription sells for $68, no insurance needed except for an online coupon. I'm moving my prescriptions elsewhere!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

This is the most disgusting company with which I have ever had the displeasure to do business. Due to the company's "case manager" Tom's absence of handling of my account, followed by completely inept and incompetent handling by 98% of all of the "customer service" representatives and "senior case managers" (Chrystal (totally passive aggressive and inept) and James), I was put in a position where I had to stop my two medications (crucial to my health) cold turkey. My experience with the company spanned about six weeks, and they are totally incompetent and insincere. I cannot believe they are permitted to handle something so precious as people's health and medications. They do not belong in business at all, and I do not recommend them at all.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I spoke with customer service at Caremark 3 times in one hour - could not get anywhere with getting my daughter's medications. We had a prescription, called in by the doctor. I cannot even express the uncaring, uncompromising conversations. Caremark wanted us to have a 3 month prescription, which was not possible because my daughter had an appointment in 3 weeks with a new psychiatrist. Instead of allowing us to purchase - yes, purchase - a one-month supply until she could get in to the new doctor, they refused. We could pay full price for the medications, but they would not do anything to help EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A PRESCRIPTION FOR ONE MONTH. REALLY? I have never been more disappointed in a company. My daughter is suffering; she has no medicine. Thank you CVS and Caremark - for nothing.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Last night I went to CVS on 116 and Lenox to buy 2 bars of generic Dove Soap. I looked around the store and could not find it. I asked a worker where is the soap? I've been shopping here for 15 yrs and have never had to ask. I was then told this racist excuse that since this CVS was in a ** neighborhood many products were under lock and key due to thieves. I was then ushered to a locked glass cabinet and asked which soap I wanted. I was appalled because Duane ** on 125 does not do this and it's the same neighborhood-Harlem Morningside Heights. CVS needs to consult with Duane ** on how to manage their store in my community. I refuse to support CVS or shop there until they can figure this all out.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Caremark is taking assistance dollars that are meant to help patients pay for copays and perhaps deductibles. Caremark is signing patients up for this assistance without patient consent. I have not been able to get my ** because of Caremark taking thousands of dollars and not applying these assistance dollars toward my copay, and they have used up the copay assistance benefit. Then they signed me up for a new copay assistance card I didn't even know they were using. I think a class action lawsuit is in order.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

CVS Caremark is close to home and they have a large selection of items. They also have a good reputation. I was impressed when they stopped selling tobacco products. However, customer service is not excellent. When I enter the store I feel like I am intruding on the personnel and they do not seem happy to see me. Their personnel could be more welcoming, personable and open to helping me.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

As a CVS Caremark member they email me great coupons and they have good deals. They also carry many everyday things that I need such as cleaning supplies and food along with healthy snack bars and cold water for when I am on the go. I also like the specials they have in the weekly ad and often just go to purchase these items. They are a great place to get almost anything without the hassle of having to go to a big store. They are also conveniently located almost everywhere. I would like lower prices in some areas. Some items seem a little higher in the shampoo and oral care section.

Overall, everything is easy to find! The staff is also very helpful and friendly. There are never long or waiting. I can pick up my medications, ask questions from a pharmacist even if it is related to a over the counter product. They have a wealth of knowledge! I can also grab a birthday card, a gallon of milk or the local newspaper. Card and makeup prices are usually competitive to what I pay elsewhere. The makeup selection is awesome and they carry great brands that I like and trust.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I have used Caremark for many years and they work together with my insurance company seamlessly. I also would be glad to recommend CVS Caremark for prescriptions to others. The service was fine. The overall process was smooth, prompt, easy and convenient as well. My prescription was filled quickly and inexpensively. When calling to speak with a representative, my concerns were addressed and all my questions were answered.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Good location and parking, handy to Redbox, quick service most of the time. On the higher end price wise for most things but OK, I assume for the quick access by car you have to expect that. They should process the longer lines quicker on the occasions I have been when it was very busy, maybe have cheaper prices for the Mother’s Day cards. But totally satisfied with my experience at CVS, was very slow at the pharmacy on one occasion I recall. I would say good job at doing what you are doing.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

CVS Caremark is a more convenient option than going to a physical drug store. The shipping process is reasonably quick and I also like being able to receive 90-day quantities of prescriptions. But they need to provide better and more consistent customer service. I've been trying for several years to resolve a single issue and I needed to make repeated calls but I continually receive different information depending on the customer service representative that I reach.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

CVS Caremark is better than most. I've use other and they don't compare to CVS. They are usually always on task and fast and I'm thankful for this company. They work with my caregiver really well and they are usually patient and kind. But certain employees can be ignorant sometimes until my caregiver explains to tell in detail what needs to be done and why. One told me I could take one over the counter medicine with another but on drugs.com says different. I had to double check because something didn't seem right. They are usually pretty on it but certain employees could be more observant and less busy with non-work things. I almost combined two medicines that would of caused unnecessary issues and I would of ended up in the hospital because of it.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

They are very quick, and they have reasonable time frames, turnaround is faster and the process is easier than other companies. Also, I have used them several times before and they are easy to work with for the most part and I have been satisfied. They even seem respectable each time I've used them and my overall experience has been that the site has items I need and every time I need them it was simple to fill the prescription.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

CVS is reliable, independent, innovative and responsible and put the customer's priority first. They have quality products at any time and also discounts and deals. The product selection and the process of filling drug subscription are outstanding and customers are attended to on time and within a short time. The customer service experiences are unique as well and the customer services on the phone are well experienced.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

CVS Caremark cares for their customers' well-being and understands that the customers' well-being is what's at stake as well as their health and the health of their families. The company and the customer service is on point to the max, unlike other companies or brands that don't and fail to meet my needs when needed. It was an experience that I have never ever experienced before.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

They tend to give the best rates for prescription drugs and work hand in hand with your insurance to help give you the best overall rates on your meds on a monthly basis to keep things the way they should be as far as paying a monthly co-pay. They can also guarantee it over the yearly rate. It's always been fine for the deals that I get. I really like the overall quality and prices that I receive for these benefits and costs. It's a real benefit.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

CVS provides swift and simple care, with good discounts and deals normally. Their services are close to home and reliable so I don't have to go far out of my way to get what I need. But oftentimes I find that my insurance is messed up with them. Corporate can also be unfair and doesn't seem to care about customers. Some employees don't care either but that's not the fault of the company. Mostly, it has been a positive experience though with only a few issues. They always have what I need on hand so there isn't too much of a wait to get anything. I will continue to use their services in the future as I am mostly satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

The prescriptions I fill through CVS Caremark are name brand (not generic) and I have a co-pay. My doctors send these in when no refills remain. I can simply call and use the automated menu for refills and I receive them in the mail. They usually send my invoice along with the prescription and I send them a check by return mail. It's a very easy transaction. If I have any questions, I can call customer service for answers. They have always had the medication my doctors have prescribed and I get the medications in a timely manner. However, there have been a few occasions when I have had trouble getting refills when none remained and they contact my doctor. I have called customer service and discussed the issues and have generally been able to resolve the problems. They have always been courteous and helpful as well. Also, they have assisted me by telling me I can get some of my generic medications cheaper through a local pharmacy.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

They are faster and they text me when the order is ready. They contact the doctor for me and they do auto refills. Also, the staff is always very nice. They even have a drive-thru and I don't have to go inside. I'm really happy with them. I love CVS and I'm satisfied. They always have my orders ready when I go and overall experience is excellent. I'm a fan.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

My prescription plan is correlated with CVS Caremark; they are professional and efficient -- to a point. When I need to order a prescription to be sent to home, it is relatively fast. But it takes a little bit longer when a prescription isn't approved, and it concerns me because it is a psychiatric medicine that I need that sometimes gets delayed. Otherwise, prescriptions that are refilled and sent to me come in the right amount. Also, their technology-based service is very helpful; all I do is order my refills on 'scripts and get them delivered to me with ease. However, not every med I need is covered and if need to go anywhere, their medicine overrides are next to impossible to get.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017
I have been getting my specialty prescription medication from CVS Caremark for several years. I have provided my credit card info and authorized to charge the copays on the card. I get the medication every three months. I had the latest refill shipped to me on 09/12/2017. Few days ago I got a letter and bill from a collection agency saying that I am delinquent on a payment for a service 0n 08/24/2016. I did not get any notification from CVS about this delinquent payment

When I contacted the billing department on 09/21/17 and 09/22/28, I was told that my credit card was not set up for automatic payment and I am delinquent on one payment and I have to deal with the collection agency and my account will be blocked if not done so. I requested to speak to a supervisor and I was told that the supervisor will not talk to me as the issue is already with collections.

The person I talked was rude and not professional. I had no problems with any previous and recent shipments. How come the payment for this particular shipment was set on autopay? I am sure this is the negligence of some employee and I am given the hardship of dealing with collections and I had many refills before and after this particular one with my copay charged to the card on file. I feel that it is not fair to turn this copay amount for collections when there was a credit card available for payment and a mistake from some CVS employee.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have used this company in the past. And I plan to continue to use this company as my primary prescription filling service. I like the convenience of being able to find all my prescriptions in one location. I use the site to order refills, place new orders, and obtain information about the prescriptions I use and drugs I would consider using after consulting with my physician. However, the website is sometimes hard to navigate. I have also experienced problems when I try to log on with the correct user name and password. I have at times just went to the pharmacy in person.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

CVS Caremark usually has the meds being written for by the doctor so you do not end up with partial scripts and I like that you can refill online with a script number and the pharmacist can reach out to the doctor for refills if there are none left making a special trip in to the office to pick up a refill unnecessary. I like the fact that you can personally speak with a pharmacist regarding side effects and medication concerns. They seem to be fairly knowledgeable about substitutions if needed.

For most medications it is okay to get filled through Caremark but I do not like that I can't trust them to fill certain scheduled drugs like narcotics durable sic ** or hypnotics like restoring or tranquilizer so like **. Frequently they ended up never getting to my door and if you call and say they are not received customer service says, “Well it looks like they are being sent on this date” and it does not fix the fact the meds never arrive at your door. Also, this happened with such regularity that I spoke with a high ranking member through my representative's office and arranged for them to send those meds out requiring my signature and if they had no signature or they did not get it the package could be tracked and another script sent out and I held them accountable for replacement.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I was very satisfied with this location and store. The people were friendly and very helpful. Got my meds on time. Will recommend family, friends and others to do the same. But online is a great, convenient way to fill meds and get them on time. It’s worth it instead of going directly to the store. I love using this company despite the time I waited on filling my meds. Lines were extremely long too. Both of these need to be addressed. I will warn those that I love of this issue until it is addressed because if I have to wait 30 mins to fill my meds I might as well drive there and drop it off.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I like the convenience and they text remind your prescription is ready for pickup and I also love the 24 hour locations. I like using this company because not only can I pick up my scripts but also can get stuff needed for the home. But the techs are too young and unqualified at times and also the hours of some locations are horrible.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Fast, accurate, fair prices, and friendly - CVS is my chosen prescription provider. Have been with CVS for about 20 years. Ten years at the current location. I know the staff and am greeted by name. Makes one feel important to the store. They also know my medical conditions and the drugs that I use. I can walk in with a new script and walk out with my new drug in 10-20 minutes, regardless of how busy they are. I don't do drive through because I always find something to buy on my walk through the store to get to the drug counter. Their coupons to Caremark users are very good as well.

CVS Caremark Company Information