1.04/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

932 CVS Caremark Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Show me the time that we were ordering over the phone from CVS Caremark we weren't aware that we were overpaying for certain medications that we will be paying less in person at the CVS pharmacy. I'LL GIVE YOU A PRIME EXAMPLE. THE MEDICATION THAT HE TAKES IS **. 4 pens per box x 4 boxes $100. Now they ship us 2 boxes still gotta pay $100 then ship us 1 box again $100. WTF. So they told us just now it doesn't matter how many we ship you still gotta pay that amount. Ehh NO THE ** I DON'T. Went directly to CVS pharmacy. They said themselves to launch a complaint against them because we are overpaying. She said it herself these are $25 per box if you buy one you're paying 25 if if you buy 2 you're paying 50... and so forth so if I were you file a complaint against them and call your insurance see if you can get reimbursed by them because honestly that's ** that they are profiting out of us consumers.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Caremark/Silverscript aggressively tries to fill any prescription you have through their website. So much so that when I tried to reorder one prescription, they send me a refill for another prescription. When informed, they refused to take back the incorrect prescription. In my view their website has issues - recommend you don't use their online process.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Lansdale, PA - Went in to get **/** for my 1 year old which were stacked on the bottom shelf, all of the sudden I get shoved out of the way by an employee who was pushing a cart stacked up high with 6 huge plastic bins. She doesn't even stop to check on me but says "oh sorry" and keeps walking. I voiced my concern to the front employee who notifies me that it was the store manager who comes running and starts yelling. They have the worst employees and one rude store manager!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I get my prescriptions from Kroger Pharmacy, it’s been years now I’ve been with them. All this time I’ve been able to opt out of using CVS Pharmacy. I went to Kroger Pharmacy 2 days ago to pick up 4 prescriptions. Total cost was not what I’ve been paying, it was much, much higher! I called CVS Pharmacy and explained the situation. They said my opt out was expired! I talked to a manager. I said the cost was way higher than it usually is. She said, "It’s mandatory that you drop Kroger Pharmacy and do business with CVS." So after 2 days and over 30 minutes on the phone, she said she found the opt out option! She called Kroger and I got my medications at regular cost. What they are trying to is pressure you to deal with their company. What a bunch of liars!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I went to CVS to pick up the prescription and was told my co-pay was $35. I later got a bill from Caremark for $168. When I called I was told that I needed to pay the bill. It was the first time I had this prescription and had I known it was gonna cost me over $200 I wouldn’t have gotten it. When I told Caremark that I needed to know the right information upfront to make an informed decision their response was, "You have to pay it." This wouldn’t be acceptable in any other situation. I can’t imagine buying a sofa leaving with it and then a month later being billed an additional $200 and being expected to pay it but somehow Caremark gets away with this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS Caremark?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Caremark is a horrible company that is dealing with medical, similar to doctors in that they are to ensure that patients get their proper medications prescribed by their doctors. Unfortunately Caremark thinks they are better than your personal doctor and get to tell your doctor how to practice even though they are not DOCTORS and the doctors they have working for them have never met the patient. They will deny medications playing games with your health. They are indirectly in the medical field and causing harm to people.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

If you are a type 1 diabetic, like me, beware. Since my employer switched to CVS (mandatory), I have been denied coverage for my **, insulin syringes, and now just received a letter stating my One Touch test strips would no longer be covered. I have been a type 1 for 50 years, and without these meds/supplies I will die. The insulin they are trying to force me to take was one that I had already been on years ago and eventually developed a resistance to. It does not effectively treat my diabetes. They don't care. They know that people are being forced through their employers to use their services, and customer service does not matter. They have a captive customer base regardless of how they treat them.

I have been effectively forced to get a second job in order to pay full price for all my diabetic meds/supplies. I have had some success with coupon sites such as "goodRX.com". The only thing CVS is willing to cover is my hypertension meds. I have found out that even with these, it is cheaper for me to walk into a random pharmacy, tell them I don't have insurance and just pay cash. How does CVS get away with this legally? Once CVS obtains the prescription contracts from the employers, they seem to have no responsibility or culpability to the individuals whatsoever. They "deny, deny deny". Surprised a class action has not happened yet.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This is by *far* the worst prescription health insurance I have EVER had to deal with. If you are forced to use CVS/Caremark RX LLC for prescription insurance, be prepared to deal with a greed driven and unscrupulous provider. If your RX needs are minimal, then prolly fine. But before filling your prescriptions, look online for coupons or go to another (non CVS) pharmacy directly. All my family’s meds have been higher (anywhere from a few dollars to several hundred $ HIGHER than WITHOUT their “RX insurance”)... Why? Because CVS/Caremark RX LLC “contracted rates” are higher... Essentially pushing you to not to use their insurance. Maybe you’ll get lucky and get better rates. Previous reviewer had this issue as well.

Also, good luck getting accurate cost breakdowns for what you have paid and what they have paid in writing. Website is wrong, and records they mail are only part of the story. It’s like they are trying to hide something. Then the best for last, hope you won’t need any kind of really expensive or brand medication. This is brilliant, they hire “third party” doctors who have little to no knowledge on your health issue, and their job is to pressure your doctor to finding cheap alternative medications rather than keeping you on what you have been using for years. If you refuse to change your medication, and just pay the max out of pocket, then they deny the medication altogether. These “outsourced” doctors are unscrupulous individuals used to legally deny your medication. It’s a joke at this point, “no max out of pocket” means they’ll just deny the claim. If you have other options, run away from CVS/Caremark RX LLC.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Charged me $118.99 for 30 day pills - For years I get a 30 day 120 pill prescription for pain but today GEHA refuses to cover. My prescription is for 30 days but I have managed to stretch it to one year for a doctor visit. CVS said could get 28 pill for $2.20 then go see a doctor. HORRIBLE. Who can I report abuse to?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

SilverScript mail delivery is speeding up timing on my most expensive meds - I now have over 45 days EXTRA pills and had to pay "donut hole" price last time.

I believer this is a tactic to reach the "hole" before necessary. Took all my meds off of auto-fill, but still get constant notices to refill before it's time!! Switching to my local pharmacy where I can control the meds to every 90 days. FRUSTRATING!! Looking for other insurance.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I have found that Caremark in their relationship as the pharmacy provider for Anthem seems to consistently price fix the cost of prescription medications. Those medications can unilaterally be purchased outside of the prescription plan for substantially less cost. In addition, Caremark is supposed to refund patients for the costs of prescriptions that the patient makes outside of the insurance plan. However, Caremark makes this process beyond difficult, to the point of nearly impossible to file paperwork for reimbursement. Once the appropriate paperwork is filed, Caremark then routinely denies the reimbursement under false pretenses.

In other words, first Caremark drastically inflates the costs of the medicine which can be easily purchased for much less elsewhere. Then, Caremark refuses to provide the appropriate refunds as they are required to do. They try to force patients to go to CVS because that is the only avenue to bill directly to Caremark, but the issue is that the cost through CVS (which is one and the same as Caremark) is up to 5 times more expensive for identical medication. In addition, Anthem is no help. Anthem states that they completely turn over all pharmacy matters to Caremark. Often, however, when speaking with Caremark customer service, those Caremark people will refer me back to Anthem. This creates a "catch 22" which results in no answers or resolution.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

They do not care. They give you a date you will receive your meds which they never meet. Every time you call you get a different person who never tells you the truth, just what they think you want to hear. They do not sent out the drugs before you run out. Drugs you cannot stop, putting people life in danger. If you talk to a supervisor they never follow through with what they tell you. Charge and promise to overnight your drugs for $25.00 then just put them in regular mail. I live in a small town with very little options that is why I was using them but please be warned. You are dealing with a company that does not care and puts your life and health in jeopardy.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Some years ago I was told by Caremark that I HAD to have all my prescriptions filled at CVS. I said that didn't sound legal not to give the customer a choice because of anti-trust, anti-competition, and other laws. She told me that I could go to whatever pharmacy I wanted, but would have to pay 100% out of pocket.

I said that I still wanted my meds to be covered by insurance that I pay high premiums for and just wanted to have a choice of pharmacies - since I was

dissatisfied with CVS pharmacy. She just repeated that I could go to whatever pharmacy I wanted, but would have to pay 100% out of pocket. I never got beyond that with her. She insisted on essentially calling me an idiot.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

If they had negative stars, I would be all over that. I am rolling from OptumRx (need to give them 5 star rating) to Caremark because of an insurance change. Wish there was an option but this is it for my mail order option with Blue Shield coverage. I am a heart patient on 17 medications. It has been 7 weeks since I started this. I will get a drug in the mail, and call on remaining ones - can't pull anything up online. When I call, they cannot find the prescriptions I ordered, and then I tell them some information, where they can THEN pull something up. They say they haven't been able to reach the doctor's office. It's the number I call and ALWAYS get through, no problem. They tell me there are notes the number was wrong.

Over and over and over. Same story. RX is then canceled instead of letting me know, or God forbid they GOOGLE the doctor to see the number. Just the absolute worst service, and have had one bad rep after the other on the phone. I received 3 phone calls today, one with a reference number, one a batch number, and one an order #. All from different phone numbers, and not one of them knew what the other one was. I made one of them call the other 2 numbers, and she came back saying the number(s) I have here must have been wrong, she could not get through. If you have a choice, and you're probably like me, and don't - but if you do have a choice, DO NOT USE THIS AWFUL COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Updated on 11/07/2018: On November 2nd, I submitted a review regarding this company and their terrible business systems. In the five days since then, I have received three additional calls from their automated system and each time authorize shipment of a prescription which I believe I have now authorized shipment of six times. Today, I went into my account in their online system in hopes of finding a prescription awaiting authorization to ship so I could authorize. Their online system shows no prescriptions awaiting authorization. After a long wait on hold, I got to a woman who promptly said their systems were updating so she could not help me. She didn't seem to know when the system would be available. This at 2:30 PM Eastern on a Wednesday afternoon. I am now searching for someone, anyone who will handle Medicare Part D and has no connection to CVS Caremark. They are the absolute worst!!!

Original Review: Their mail order pharmacy systems stink. Third day in a row I get a call from their automated system requesting authorization to ship prescriptions. Each time, I follow the prompts and think I have authorized. Next day same thing. Getting a person with even the brain power of a flea is impossible!!!! If I could give them 0 stars I would.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I had a prescription submitted on 11/18 on a Thursday. On Saturday I called the Pharmacy and was told there was an issue with the insurance. I called CVS Caremark the following Monday to be told that a PA was required. I asked them how was I supposed to know this. They gave me a number for the doctor to call for PA, which they did and they were told they had no record of me. I told them to call a different Pharmacy which they did. I got the meds without insurance for $10 with coupon. Just out of curiosity, I called the Pharmacy for the original prescription and, yes it’s still pending.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have had to contact CVS Caremark twice in the past two days regarding billing. They billed triple the actual co-pay for one drug ($150 instead of $50), and $48.77 co-pay for a drug with no co-pay. (Total error close to $200 in their favor). They agreed to correct these errors. Errors are always in their favor. What if I was frail and elderly and couldn't keep on top of every single bill. They would profit considerably by these kinds of billing errors. Please be sure to check your Caremark billing closely. And consider not keeping a credit card/debit card on file with them.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

We had never used a mail order medicine. We went to a Rite-Aid in the neighborhood and our trusted Pharmacist at that location. My husband went to refill for a chronic condition and was denied. They told us to call Caremark. We called. Caremark said they’d review the “claim”. I asked for emergency medicine until we figured out mail order and shipped. They told me within 72 hours I’d hear the decision.

Unfortunately we did not have 72 hours to wait so we paid out of pocket. 5 days later there is no reply from Caremark. My husband is in a union and BCBS has always been our insurance. I am also calling BCBS and complaining about Caremark as well as the Union. I have no idea where to turn. Why are they allowed to force us to do mail order rather than a visit to a trusted pharmacist/pharmacy?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Placed an emergency order for diabetic insulin supplies online. I stated that I had a one week deadline before I ran out. Their website accepted my order and said "In process". A week later it still said "In process". I called them. Spent 3 hours on hold after being cut off 3 times. Finally reached a person. She had no clue of what to do. Said that they could not supply my prescription even though their website accepted it and said it was in process. Diabetics can die without the needed supplies. They didn't seem to care. HORRIBLE SERVICE!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Saw my doctor on September 28, 2018. Three RX's were submitted to Caremark on that date. After a week of not hearing anything I called them. They claimed to have not gotten the RX's. Doctor has re-submitted them several times and I have called them several times to follow-up. After two weeks plus I called this morning (10/15/18) and Caremark is still not sure of what they are doing? One lie after another. Two of these RX's they have been filling for more than twenty years and the third for at least ten years.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

It is a shame that I have called and are in a state of emergency and they told me one lie after another lie. They told me they would deliver my medication by a certain time and that has been a lie and they do not care if I am going through a lot right now. They are the most not caring people you can ever talk to. They say they care but they won't call the pharmacist. They said, "We sent them an email." I just hate that I will not get my medication before a hurricane. They are liars.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

CVS Caremark is the mail order provider for BC/BS. THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO DEAL WITH. Caremark goes out of their way to avoid filling an order or else try to sell an alternate at exorbitant prices. For example, they lied to me about B12 by trying to sell me an alternate costing $1,008.08 instead of regular cost of $1.92. Please, BC/BS DUMP THIS CROOKED LYING COMPANY NOW!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

2 years ago my insurance changed, while it is still BCBS, Caremark CVS is on the pharmacy card and they make it difficult if not impossible for me to use my local pharmacy that is within walking distance. Instead I'm forced to use mail order or CVS that is 20 mins away. I got an automated msg saying my prescription was ready but when I got there, no prescription and they don't have anything on file. I've been taking these same bc pills for about 15 yrs. Back in June I was on the phone with Caremark for over 2 1/2 hrs trying to straighten out this one long term Rx. Apparently they still didn't get it right. I get automated phone calls that say, "Caremark" and nothing else.

The personnel manning the phones are trained only to say, "I'm so sorry for the inconvenience." The first time I called they told me my medication had been discontinued and I googled it while on the phone. The name brand was (which I already knew) but the generic was readily available and I had to educate them on this. I asked one time if a pharmacist was available to talk to and no, there are none at Caremark. I resent being told where I choose to do business and resent having my prescriptions controlled and continually messed up by Caremark. BCBS must be saving a lot of money at the expense of members time. Aren't we paying them for this managed "care"?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I called Caremark to get a waiver so I can have my local pharmacy fill one prescription. They will not issue a waiver. My closest CVS PHARMACY is almost 20 miles away. Almost all of my other prescriptions need to be compounded. I have to go to a compounding pharmacy to get medicine I am not allergic to. I want all my prescriptions filled in one place so that any contraindications are caught and all drug allergies are in one place. Caremark will not issue a waiver. They would not even call the account manager to ask for a waiver. This is heavy handed. Now I am paying both the insurance premium AND full price for my prescriptions. We have our insurance benefits through our employer. This is wrong. We are shopping elsewhere for insurance coverage when it is time to re-enroll.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Over the past few months there has been hassle after hassle with CVS with almost all divisions (PBM, Retail, Mail Order) that it's difficult to know where to begin to report on it. Let me begin, then, by saying that I believe that the pharmacists and technicians at the local retail stores are good people who are just trying their best to do their jobs in a challenging environment. My ire is reserved for those higher up the chain and especially those decision-makers on the PBM side who seem to lack the requisite logic and wisdom necessary to make sound decisions regarding prudent and safe patient care.

To summarize, here's a brief list of the things that have gone so poorly in dealing with CVS: Took over a month to get an approval for a medically necessary drug. Within that time it took at least 3 phone calls to expedite the matter. At least one, if not two of the Caremark telephone customer assistance agents had failed to act on the situation as they had promised. That month-long lag also caused some technical difficulties at the retail level.

Someone substituted another kind of medication dispensing unit than specified by the physician on prescription. When I pointed out the discrepancy (error), no one could identify how that happened except to say that they didn't have the device in stock. Several phone calls and visits to obtain the prescribed device, each time with it not available. Funny, but other local pharmacies have these for sale! Given that we were still waiting for the item to be in stock at the local pharmacy, we decided to purchase the device and have it filled at a different pharmacy. To do that, another prescription for the device was required, although the prescription was written for refills to it.

Called Caremark to discuss the situation. They say that the delivery device is not covered! How so... And why didn't the CVS retail pharmacy know that? And how could the other one be covered if delivery devices (as a category of equipment) are not covered? Spoke to a supervisor about the situation and it was confirmed that with a prescription a medication's required delivery device IS indeed covered. Well, that was good to know on a future order for the device. However, there was a catch to that... It would have to be through mail order. And yet another new prescription would be required.

Whatever happened to prescriptions that have refills? Does CVS choose to ignore that... Unless of course you have opted in for auto-refills and robocalls? Well, I haven't opted in to receive robocalls, but they called again today! When I called CVS Caremark to find out what it was about, they claim it wasn't from them, but from the retail pharmacy. They couldn't explain why I had received a robocall when I had opted out. I asked for a corporate number to call to request again that I not receive robocalls, and the number they gave seems invalid... A rapid busy signal. If it were possible to rate CVS with ZERO STARS that is the rating they really merit.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I have been on the same medication at the same doctor's office for years and 2 years ago when my company changed insurance I was told I had to use CVS. They never get my prescription filled on time and they blame everyone else for their issues. I asked for a corporate contact and instead of giving a phone or email they gave an address. Do you know where that is going to go? NOWHERE! They do not care about people. They are all about money. Larry Merlo CEO/President will not speak to customers I was told by the office. No one is available to contact because they are too busy scamming people! What are they going to do when they kill someone because they screwed up the medication? Say, sorry that happened to you. REALLY? This company is terrible. I told them all my issues and they still didn't seem to care.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

My company recently switched insurance and they use CVS Caremark to fill prescriptions. My doctor has had me on this prescription for years and they will not fill it because it is not FDA approved for use for the condition she has me take it for. They are the ONLY company who has refused to fill this prescription! It’s obvious, all they care about is the money. They should not be deciding what is best for me and leave that up to my doctor who sees me on a regular basis. My doctor knows what works for me and what is the best for me. Money hungry company at its best! They will find any reason to deny a claim and line their pockets instead of helping their customers.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I get the same prescriptions for 5 years and every time I put my order in I have a problem. They don't know how to fill order properly. I paid them for my medicine then my husband put in his prescription. They gave him his prescription of my payment and told me I have to pay again because we have a balance and I said, "How are you going to take the money out my account and charge me and give my meds to my husband. Let him get his meds free and come back and charge me again." The purpose I was paying is for my meds not his. I was so furious that I have to find another pharmacy because I can’t stand CVS Caremark. Been going on for 5 years.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I recently switched companies and they use CVS Caremark for their Prescription service. They have the worst service I have ever experienced! I am on my fourth maintenance medication requiring a PA. This is ridiculous! the company puts saving a buck over the health of their clientele. I will never recommend any corporation to use their services and would never recommend using their pharmacies. I am utterly disgusted with my treatment and will continue to do everything to not utilize their services. I am also filing a complaint with my HR department against CVS Caremark.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have spinal stenosis and lumber region and have been denied my medication which is pain medicine. I understand that it has been abused but I am a person in need and had no problem with prior authorization and approval for several months. Now needing new prior authorization I’m being denied. I have been in pain for 30 days. Mind you I also just had a recent hysterectomy surgery and have no pain medicine. Can you imagine as a woman with that feels like plus having the lower entire back aching. I feel like I’m being totally disrespected in all aspects and discriminated. If I have to pay for my medication I will have a lawyer seek a lawsuit because I want to be compensated. This is inhumane and unethical for a person to be treated like that especially when you had no problem the first time approving it. My system is clean. I’m not a drug addict or junkie but a sick patient in need and can I get my medicine because of CVS Caremark.

CVS Caremark Company Information