CVS Caremark

Compare Pharmacy Benefit Management

Research top Pharmacy Benefit Management recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am trying to manage medication refills for my 87 year old mother. I have contacted Caremark by phone 6 times in 9 months. For the 4th time today I was told, "None of your meds are on automatic refill" (although 3 previous people claimed to have enrolled them). Medications were sent out so late that we had to contact the doctor for an interim 10 day prescription. And on my 5th phone call, I was suddenly told, "We can't talk to you without a power of attorney notice." They had already discussed all of the details with me 4 previous times! We are getting rid of them. Going back to once a month refills, although this is much harder for us, as our mother no longer drives. Been using Express Scripts for my own meds for 5 years without a single issue. Caremark is absolutely the WORST. I will no longer ever shop at or get meds at a CVS.

I have used a suppository for bad hemorrhoids for years. Caremark does not have one suppository even GENERIC that they cover. As this is not a new medicine or an unusual medical condition this company plan is AWFUL!!!

Customer service/appeals on brand name prescription - My son was recently diagnosed with combined type ADHD by his doctor. After being tried on several medications with many failed attempts, we had a GeneSight testing done to see which medications would be compatible with my son. After the testing and trying of new med, we finally found one that worked for him. The only downfall was we needed the brand name Rx and not the generic. CVS required a letter of medical necessity to be filled out and faxed in by his doctor before being approved. No big deal. We had it faxed over only to be denied.

I received a letter stating that my son hadn't met the requirements for the brand name drug because he hadn't been tried on a minimum of 3 generic drugs for his diagnosis. Not only did the letter need to state a minimum of three drugs he was tried on, it also needed to state the contraindications and the dates he had to take these medications. This was all listed in the letter of medical necessity that the doctor wrote out and faxed over.

After calling and requesting to know why he was denied when the letter clearly stated the minimum three medications, contraindications, and dates, the representative argued with me and told me the correct information was not listed in the letter of medical necessity. I had a copy of the letter so I knew exactly what it stated and read it back to her and told her she should have it on file to see for herself. The representative acted as if she was deaf and again stated the correct information was not listed on the letter of medical necessity. After showing my butt, I was transferred to the appeals dept. where AGAIN was told the exact thing that the representative stated. I told the appeals dept that it wasn't right to keep denying my son medication when the required information was sent over in a letter of medical necessity.

I also threatened to get an attorney and sue if he ended up having to be hospitalized for a psychotic episode due to not having the medications he needed to to improper denial. After the appeals dept. pulled up the letter of medical necessity that was sent over, they put me on hold. After a brief 5 minute hold, the appeals representative came back to the line and stated that a pharmacist that dealt with approval/denials had the letter and had also pulled up my son's list of medications that he had been tried on (6 to be exact). After having read the letter and actually seeing his entire medication list, the appeals dept approved the brand name Rx and apologized for all the hassle I went through when it should have been approved to began with. They stated they didn't know why it got denied since the correct information was sent off in the letter.

This has got to be the worst customer service I have ever had. Due to having insurance through my job, I have to use CVS. If it weren't for that, I def would have chosen Kroger or another pharmacy. I have seriously been thinking about switching back to Tricare just so I don't have take my Rx to CVS!

I wish it was limited to a single experience but it's not. CVS Caremark is by far, the worst. Was provided a script from my doctor and sent it to CVS Caremark to be filled. Although this was a regular script and they had filled it in the past they refused to fill it this time. They continued to make excuses and transfer me from person to person. When I asked to speak with a supervisor they placed me on hold and never picked back up. They are a terrible service and I struggle to see how they remain in business. I will never use them again and I intend to spread the word to anyone and everyone that is willing to listen.

They are messing with people's health. I have been refused my prescriptions because there was not another 3 month supply needed so they would not cover the one month I had left. They refuse to cover drugs and then are not open on weekends so that you can get something they will cover. And if you are on generic monthly prescription, they buy the cheapest brand of the month so that your system will never get used to the pills you are taking. Half the time I do not get my prescriptions on time since they force you to use mail order. This is putting people in danger and no one is doing anything about it. I pay for this coverage but they do not cover anything. Having to order 3 months at time does not make sense all the time. I have had more health issues because of this company by not being able to get medication in time and changing brands consistently.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS Caremark?

I have BCBS Highmark medical and CVS CAREMARK prescription insurance through my employer. By the end of March my wife and I had already met the family deductible for our health insurance. Highmark had confirmed that and have been great to work with. Highmark has sent the deductible information to CVS CAREMARK several times since March but CAREMARK can't get my deductible updated on their end.

I have been fighting with CAREMARK for 3 months now and all they keep telling me is that they have to reach out to someone to get the records updated but nothing ever gets resolved. They expect me to pay hundreds of dollars for prescriptions that should be covered. Every time I call they say it can take 7 - 10 days to get resolved but nothing ever gets resolved. CVS CAREMARK is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. I'm warning everyone to avoid them at all costs. I wanted to give them 0 Stars because that's what they deserve but this site made me give them 1. That's way too generous.

CVS CAREMARK is the worst possible prescription plan I've ever had. They are refusing to allow us any choice of pharmacy, so now we must use CVS to get prescriptions. CVS is refusing to fill current prescriptions if they aren't 90 days (the new rule) and in the most recent encounter, they "claim" (sure) a software glitch is to blame for refusing prescriptions that meet all criteria of 90 days (oops, our computers seem to reject 30 day scripts and 90 day scripts and poor us, we just don't know why!)

If you are an employer and think you're saving $ with this plan, just expect your employees to have to spend hours on the phone during business hours trying to straighten out this quagmire called CVS NON-CAREMARK!!! Just skip it and get your money’s worth with a comparable or a little better prescription plan that doesn't have Caremark or CVS in the name. What they're doing now actually sounds like it warrants an attorney general investigation - maybe unhappy consumers should be filing complaints with their state's attorney generals. Insurance you pay for that doesn't fill your scripts. hmmmmm...

My husband died. I called Caremark on May 5th to request nothing be sent on automatic refill until I got my insurance straightened out. Today, June 2nd, I called again at 10 AM to make sure nothing is going to ship. I was told my prescriptions did not have any refills and nothing could ship. Then at 1:01 PM, I got an email that said they autofilled 2 prescriptions and they have been sent. So the phone call on May 5th was a waste of my time and I was given a bunch of crap this morning when I called. I called back to talk to a supervisor and got a syrupy, patronizing woman named Kim who did nothing to accept the responsibility of the error on their end. She isn't going to even look into it until next Tuesday or later.

So here's the choice I am faced with 1. Drive back home to get the package they were NOT supposed to send and then miss my husband's funeral. Or 2. Leave the package to cook on the front porch 95 degree Florida sun and might as well put a sign in the yard to wannabe burglar that no one is home because package is sitting on the porch. So risk losing the medication, medication will be cooked from the heat and may lose everything in the house when the crooks see a package not picked up and go to husband's funeral in another state. Caremark told me that I can take more of my time to contact the post office regarding the shipment or suggested I call someone to pick it up.

On January I logged onto my account and changed one of my prescriptions from autofill to manual because I was not going to be needing it anymore. 2 weeks later Caremark sends me the prescription and billed me. I called them and had a painful 30 min conversation which resulted in me having to contact my CC company to fight it. Caremark had the nerve to tell me that I had to pay because THEY have no way of seeing when I actually changed the prescription status... These thieves can see that I did, in fact change it but can't see when I changed it. Therefore it must be my fault... makes sense. So the CC company decided I was not at fault and took the money back. Wouldn't you know these thieves just sent me a bill that literally shows the charge, the chargeback and then the charge again claiming I owe them...

I called them back and what a surprise, they still say it's not their fault and I owe them. So I emailed them and told them the story yet again. Also, today I got a letter from a collection agency about this... all of this over $41.26. DON'T USE CAREMARK.

One day I come home to a package sitting at my doorstep. This package is from Caremark. I've never used Caremark mailing services before. I open the package and there are 3 bottles of medication in the package. Interesting, I get my medications from my local Walgreens. I called their customer service asking why I received this medication. They said my physician placed the order. I said "okay, I didn't approve of this order". They responded that their company policy is that they do not need consent for medications less than $250. I told them I pick up my medication locally and I just had it refilled and wasn't in need of any medication for 5 months.

I asked to return the product. They don't take returns. Well, that's not my problem. They've sent me bill after bill trying to extort money for this medication I didn't consent to receive while denying any fault and refusing to accept a return. Straight up extortion. This also happened in January, negative degree weather, left sitting in a foot of snow. The medicine is supposed to be stored at 70 degrees F. Which is why I pick up locally as their medicine is shipped in a better climate control area. How is this not extortion? Why do they believe they can send me a package of drugs without my consent, acknowledgment or approval? Just because it is their policy, this doesn't make it a legal practice.

Dealing with this pharmacy has sent me over the edge. I started weekly medication injections a month ago. The Rx was transferred from local CVS to the specialty clinic. I had to postpone the start of injections because specialty clinic didn't send it in time, though they had more than a week and they were told when I needed the rx. Phone calls to their number were unsatisfactory with VERY LONG wait times. I chose to have it delivered to local CVS instead of my home, thinking that would be easier. My physician sent in a new rx for a higher dose four days ago. I need it early Monday morning for injection before I am leave town for the week. It did not come in today. The local employees were very supportive, but there was nothing they could do.

I called a locally owned pharmacy, they called to transfer script, and they were able to fill it immediately. What is going on? Does CVS not realize that certain medications have to be given the same time each week? I have experience with many different pharmacies. Thankfully, however, I will NEVER have to deal with this pharmacy again. DO NOT trust them with your vital health needs. They don't care.

I have been getting prescriptions through CVS Caremark and Caremark mail order for many years. The run-of-the-mill prescriptions or generics are not a problem and arrive quickly. The problem is brand prescriptions especially if it happens to be a controlled substance. We have been receiving such a prescription every three months for 20+ years. Each and every time there is a problem and usually it is different excuses each time. Right now we have been waiting for this prescription for over two weeks. I have been on the phone with Caremark and our health plan each blaming the other for this situation. My question: Is there a legal avenue for justice? If so, what is it? Where can you turn to for help? And has anyone tried?

In October, I went to the benefits fair for work to choose insurance plan. I went to the CVS booth and asked them if my meds would be covered. I asked if they would still accept my co-pay assistance plan from Biogen. My meds per month are $7,000. The lady said that CVS would honor the assistance. I filled my first med and $2,025 went to the out of pocket for the year. Second time I filled my med the price was $1400 toward my out of pocket. Two days later CVS backed it out toward my out of pocket. I called and they said that I should have gotten a letter in January telling me that they are no longer accepting any co-pay assistance cards toward the max out of pocket from 3rd party payers. I was not prepared for this at all. My meds require blood work every 3 months and MRI once a year. I am not sure if Biogen will cut off assistance.

I am at the end of my rope with CVS. CVS is just targeted drug assistance for specific diseases. This is discrimination at it's best! I have been getting assistance for 4 years and just can't understand why CVS cares who pays for the meds. I did not choose to have MS and there is not many drugs out there that have generics. I gave them no stars on anything because their service sucks so bad.

Caremark CVS keeps changing my settings to automatic refill. I go on the site and change them to NO auto refill. They go back to auto refill. I call to tell them to take it off. It goes back on. I'm sick of getting a stockpile of medication that I don't need AND spending money that I don't need to. I just called and again the woman assured me that it's off auto refill. I asked for a refund for the latest one that was sent. They are sending a way to send it back for a refund. She said this will only happen one time. This is a dishonest business just trying to get more money out of me. I would not recommend them.

I recently went to refill my prescription and it was denied. The reason was because it was not a 90 day refill. I called Caremark otherwise known as care LESS, and was informed that because of their RULES they could not refill unless it was s 90 day amount. I tried to explain that the Dr only wants monthly due to dosing adjustment but of course their rules are more important than the real world. I can pay $84 dollars and not go through Caremark. We pay exorbitant healthcare rates to be treated like an annoying gnat. By the way I spoke with three different representatives none of which any help at all. A total waste of my time to reason with a worthless soulless conglomerate.

It feels like half the time I deal with this company, there is a complication. Two weeks ago, I called to get a vacation override on a medication and was told how to do it. Today, when I called to implement those instructions, I learned the original information was "incorrect". I've now spent approximately 2-1/2 hours on the phone dealing with this.

My sincere belief is that CVS WANTS to make us jump through hoops so that we'll get tired and give up. That strategy worked today. I finally stopped fighting, threw my hands up in disgust, and will pay 15 bucks out of pocket for 10 pills that CVS should have paid for. I'll try to attach a photo of the receipt after I pick up the prescription tomorrow. To CVS: What is your advertising budget? Consider about $10,000 of it evaporated because of the bad PR I'll be spreading to my family and friends. Your "rules and regulations" line your CEO's pockets while your customers have little but complaints to show for them.

Caremark has always been third rate in every aspect of their service. It has come down to a point now that when you try to get through the jungle of prescriptions expired or not by removing an expired prescription that they are all cancelled. When you finally figure this out, the site tells you to just re-enable the prescription in the details. Well folks, when you finally find the details option, there is nowhere to re-enable the refills. Now I have less than a week of a critical medication and I can't find a way to get it from them. I guess I'll have to pay full price at the local pharmacy again.

Every month I order my son's growth hormones we encounter an issue. They will refill a prescription over the phone and then the medication will arrive when it was supposed to. I call and I am told there was one of many numerous problems with the order, the prescription needs Dr. authorization, the address needs to be reconfirmed, there is an outstanding balance... etc. Never is this relayed where I initially call to get the refill and they also never call to say there is a problem. It takes me calling once the medication hasn't arrived. At that point, we are dangerously low on his medication or completely out. Then they have to send it overnight. I am very lucky this isn't a life-saving medication. Even so, missing dosages is not good. I hate to think about people using this pharmacy that could die without their medicine. I feel like a class action lawsuit is needed against them.

This year we were forced to change to Health Net and have mandatory use of CVS or CVS Mail Order for pharmacy use in order to receive 3 month fill/refill of medications. This discriminatory practice of mandating patients to use the pharmacy required and not their own pharmacy and pharmacist is deplorable. The last 3 1/2 months since 2017 began, attempting to get medications in order has been a complete nightmare, impelling one to just give up. As a health care provider myself, I find their practices to indeed be malpractice. Due to my complicated medical status I am required to use 2 separate sites to refill my medications. There has been every excuse under the sun for not filling and actually allowing me to run out of medications due to their inability to properly fill medications. This is the problem removing the pharmacist from being a member of a patient's health care team!

The incompetence shown on uncountable phone calls is only described as incompetent! At this point I'm still not sure if all my medicines are en route or not. In emergency medicine we are not allow to make mistakes, we do not accept incompetence in the ED and neither should it be allow in a most important aspect of patient care as Medication. Both Health Net and CVS is competent of both - malpractice and incompetence. They have removed the pharmacist, physician and patient relationship into just pill counters! Who cannot count. The only aspect they are proficient at is apologizing and transferring one to another incompetent individual apologizing more.

Website is sometimes confusing. Once I find what I'm looking for (e.g., automatic refill), it's fine. I go back and forth between the drop down menu and other tabs before finding what I am looking for.

I have been using CVS Caremark for many years. Until the start of 2017 everything was fairly good. Starting January 1, 2017 CVS Caremark has decided that any copay assistance from a manufacturer will NOT go towards deductible or out of pocket accumulation. My 1 life saving drug is $2727.96 per month x 12 months = $32,735.52. I receive $6500/ year copay assistance from the manufacturer. Now here it us March and CVS Caremark has burned thru all of my assistance and my copay that I have to pay is $1795 for 1 month. Next month, April, my copay will be $2727.96 since my deductible isn't met.

I don't go to the doctor usually because I don't get sick. Therefore, I won't meet my deductible unless I pay for meds out of my pocket, which is my entire month income. Who or what agency would be on my side to fight against CVS Caremark? It's past practice that they applied towards my deductible so I would think that would be a start. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Locally we use Giant Pharmacy mainly for convenience, especially for rx's we need immediately. For mail away we use Caremark, and as long as you remember your sign in, they are great. The turn around time is very little as long as there are refills available. They will contact your doctor if there isn't any refills left.

Unfortunately, I have had to deal with CVS Caremarks mail order prescription services for many many years. Horrible service every single time! Every time I have to call in, they mess up my order and it takes hours to rectify. My daughter has Type 1 diabetes so this is an ongoing frustration. A few examples: One of her prescriptions was out of refills. I requested our Dr. send in refill prescriptions for all of her prescriptions as well as mine. (Some of mine for allergies/asthma, I refill 1/x per year) A week later every single prescription was delivered to my house with co-pays over $1000, without any verification or authorization and they billed my personal credit card (not Benefits CC). I requested to have most of this shipment returned which at first they claimed they could not. Then they said they could and would credit my CC when it was received. It took 6-8 phone calls and almost 2 months to get this refunded after items were shipped back.

We moved to a different state and 5 yrs later, one of her auto shipments was sent to the old address which required almost 3 hrs drive to pick up. They assured me that they would note not to use this address again but could not removed it from their system. 9 years later, auto shipment was randomly delivered to old address and once again entailed 3 hr drive to pick it up.

Trying to get her glucose test strips filled: They said they didn't have the prescription, Dr.'s office resent it, then Caremark said insurance only covers generic brand. To get these specific testing strips that would Bluetooth to her insulin pump & be covered by insurance, would require Dr. note stating it was medically necessary. Dr.'s office FAX this in. A week later they randomly sent me syringes and infusion sets instead (which I had previously requested a permanent hold on as I was getting sets directly from pump manufacturer and she hasn't used syringes in years) Not only was there no apology but they now said they had no record of this prescription on record at all!!! 5-6 hours and multiple phone calls with condescending personal putting me on hold for 10+ mins at a time.

Call in to have prescription refilled, usually takes 4-5 phone calls. I can and request, they then call and ask how it should be billed (the same way as always and note is on record). Then a week later, call to verify that it is ok to charge the card on file. I could share many more stories like this but overall the personnel they have handling the calls seem untrained. Can never locate previous phone call records in the system, their escalation team is even more unhelpful/talks over you/down to you/wants to argue the facts, and there is never any accountability of their mistakes or changes to the same issues that happen over and over again.

Something has changed at Caremark. I have never in all the years using them had as much trouble as I have had with my last 2 prescriptions. There is no reason it takes 5+ days to process a new prescription. When I could fill it locally I would have within hours. Even more disturbing is when I called the first time I was assured my Rx would ship on Thursday, Mar 16 to arrive by Friday, Mar 17. When I called to confirm on Thursday I was told there was a problem with the Rx and they had left several messages with my Dr. I called my Dr and he had received no messages from Caremark. When my Dr office called to see what the problem was they were told there was no problem, it was just going thru the review process.

Last night I was sent a waybill number saying my Rx shipped yesterday for delivery today but UPS has no record of it. Someone is creating waybills but not actually shipping the product. They have charged me for overnight shipping and I won't receive it until Monday, hopefully. No one knows what is going on at this company. This is unacceptable, unprofessional behavior. It seems I will now be without my medicine even longer due to your lack of customer care.

Caremark defaults to automatically refill older prescriptions without realizing same doctor changed the dosage (and they just filled that script). Very frustrating as their system seems to do this at least 3-4 times a year to me and costing me well over $100 a year for these mistakes. I have to continually monitor my account to ensure I am receiving the latest and proper dose of medicines. I hate the mail order for this reason as my local pharmacist would be conscientious enough to look at my pharmaceutical history and ask questions before assuming incorrectly.

They lie and every time tell me something different about my prescription transfer from another pharmacy. They don't know what to ask and what information they need. They just wasted my time and cost me a high copay. It's the worst insurance and the worst pharmacy.

CVS Caremark conducts its administration of several prescription drug plans throughout the U.S. It has been proven that CVS Caremark discriminates against certain classes of clients. When CVS Caremark records are queried by customer service, their records are skewed as to support CVS Caremark's position and the records are not the true and correct accounting of all the facts, medical evidence and submissions.

In the matter of testosterone replacement therapy for men CVS Caremark attempts to prevent the authorization and filling of the prescription by instituting medically unnecessary and overly cumbersome requirements, (I.E. Medical evidence beyond the normal and customary medical submissions) on the provide and male patient with almost always results in a 1st level denial.

Yet in the case of a transgender teenage woman that desires to become a man and requests the same testosterone therapy, (and is not a medical necessity as cited from the above case of a male) she needs none of the above described medical documentation or proof of medical necessity, (I.E. Blood tests showing low t as in a man who needs this t replacement therapy). This proves that CVS Caremark discriminates against certain classes of clients, yet serves another class of client without the same internal requirements for filling a prescription.

I take branded ** - have for years, it works for me and with my manufacturer's discount, I pay $3 for 90 day supply... Or I did until our "new" Caremark service got involved. After calling my local CVS to refill my **, I was told I wasn't allowed to have branded and that if an exception were to be made, my doctor would have to appeal to Caremark. Excuse me? Beyond the medication decision being between me and my doctor, if Caremark doesn't pay for it as it's not in their "formulary", fine - I'll pay for it myself. What right does Caremark have to decide for me what I can or can't have??

It gets better - apparently Caremark mail order decided to take my request for my Crestor refill from my local CVS, fill it with generic and charged my HSA $58.94 without clearing it with me. I've sent a message to their customer service - I'd like to return the generic and have my money refunded, but we know that won't happen. To ensure they can't fill any more scripts and charge me, I've removed my HSA and credit card info. I will also be moving all my scripts to a local CVS and/or pay for my medication myself.

[Updated 3/23/2017] As a follow up to my experience attempting refill my long-standing script for ** - I spent several hours yesterday being shunted from customer (no) service to pharmacy tech to pharmacist dealing with the issue of my taking brand rather than generic. Ultimately I was told that my $58 charge would be refunded and they would note my file to contact me if any order for ** or the generic equivalent was sent in for mail order fill. No refund as yet.

This morning I got a call from my doctor's office. Caremark has since contacted them and suggested three other ** I could take (on their formulary) in lieu of ** or its generic (gives me hives) and wants to know what ** I've used in the past. With a family history of elevated lipids, I've used a ** for well over 20 years. Over that time period my doctors have determined that ** works best for me. So excuse me if I go with my doctor's decision rather than a customer service rep who may or may not have a medical background!

CVS/Caremark is a new mail over Pharmacy for my insurance Blue Shield. I recently ordered test strips for my Touch One Glucose monitor that my Blue Cross Primary Doctor recommended. A representative from CVS/Caremark contacted me to verify the One Touch supplies I needed. The delivery came and it was for a completely different monitor Accu-Chek. When I read the documentation enclosed it said they contacted my Doctor and he changed the prescription. When I called my doctor's office they said that was not true. When I called CVS/Caremark they just put me on hold. When called Blue Shield they said there was nothing they could do about it. Run. Do not walk, but run from these people. You would be better off just flushing your money down the toilet.

I have had prescription written for 30 pills for my morning sickness. They will only cover 12 pills in 15 days. Now my doctor is trying to get them to cover more, but while I am waiting I literally can't keep down water. So I am waiting for either the insurance company to approve something more or for me to be dehydrated enough to warrant a trip to the ER.

CVS Caremark Company Profile