3.67/5

1152 Wal-Mart Pharmacy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

This rating is primarily for WAL-MART'S MAIL ORDER PHARMACY. WAL-MART'S $10 for 90 day program has ALWAYS come out a bit ahead of the co-pays I would've paid through my two different insurers, that I had to choose from, for my maintenance medication. I've used the MAIL ORDER SERVICE from one state to another, during a sudden temporary address change and flawlessly my VERY NECESSARY medication followed without a hiccup in time. A+++

WAL-MART'S Customer Service is VERY HELPFUL and friendly. In the 9 years I've been using it, only 1 adverse encounter from a "SALTY" representative had to be felt & dealt with. She probably just had a tough morning, because by the conclusion of my business, everything was copacetic. The only area that LACKS/SUCKS within the WAL-MART PHARMACEUTICAL MAIL ORDER SERVICE is their AUTOMATIC REFILL SYSTEM!!! It has NEVER been consistent, despite a number of assisted & unassisted registrations of my phone number. Unfortunately, WALGREENS has this part down. If you want to rely on this feature, solely for helping you keep up w/ your order.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have 3 of the pharmacist on first name basically. Due to all my medical reactions to medicines they kind me safe. Every time I refill a script they make sure I take right by discussing it and if I had any issues that may occur by taking it They call the remind me to reorder my scripts so I don't ever run out. They are easy to get to with a drive through I a life saver due to my walking disability. I love my marketplace.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

The staff is very knowledgeable, polite and courteous. Have never had an issue since we switched about 8 months ago from Rexall which was terrible. When we were with Rexall it got to the point that we would have to wait sometimes 3-4 days for a prescription. Since switching to Wal-Mart. We can drop off a prescription when we enter the store and pick it up within 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour.

Original review: March 12, 2019

My pharmacist at Walmart are always friendly and are very knowledgeable. They are my go to folks for info and trust in a medicine. I can ask their advice on OTC drugs as well as prescriptions. They always take the time to know you fully understand. I have always been satisfied with my Walmart pharmacy in Unicoi Tn.

Original review: March 11, 2019

We just had to change to Wal-Mart Pharmacy beginning Jan. 1, 2019. So far our initial start up and getting prescriptions transferred has been anything but pleasant. The help cannot seem to get their "act together" with all the information given them and put it into motion. I am hoping that as a few more months pass, things will be better. I do know that the prices we are getting from Wal-Mart are 150 percent better than the prices we got from the independent pharmacy we had used for years. One on prescription alone saved us over three fourths as much as we had been paying. That is very welcomed. So due to the money factor, we will continue to trade at Wal-Mart Pharmacy and pray things improve.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart?

Original review: May 9, 2019

This is for the Walmart Pharmacy in Manchester MO. I dropped off 4 prescriptions all on one paper. I was going to pick them up in a few days. I called to check on them today and was told they do not have the prescriptions! I am absolutely livid! I went to them because they have the cheapest prices but I would go elsewhere to get more professional, less irresponsible.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Wife had a heart attack. Prescribed ** for pain after surgery. Walmart pharmacy in Charleston Illinois wouldn't fill the prescription because my wife also uses this medicine for arthritis. Her heart doctor knows this and prescribed it. Walmart pharmacist has more knowledge than a heart surgeon, family doctor, critical care nurse, or anyone else with a medical degree. That is what they think is true. I took the prescription to another pharmacy, and it was filled without question.

Original review: April 15, 2019

The "high on her own horse" pharmacist needs to be fired. She's mean, and unprofessional. And if you "refused" to fill my script, WHY didn't you call me??? Too busy not trying to drown in this rainy weather with your nose stuck WAY too high up.. It's rainin' lady.. Hope you don't melt! Actually wish you would!

Original review: April 14, 2019

Okay I've had the same medicine and dose for over 12 years and because some person checks the wrong box, I have to wait. You owe me money! My time is valuable! Please stick your policy and procedure up. And send me a check for 100 dollars for my time. Geez sick of this! Get a release form for the customer. Some of us are medical persons and don't need your spiel. Matter of fact the pharmacist just let me go one week and didn't do his job of policies!!!

Original review: April 12, 2019

Don't know what they are doing. Pharmacy Cynthiana Ky. My Dr called in 4 prescriptions and they ran none of them through my insurance. Told me one was going to be 295.00 with my insurance, funny thing is the cash cost of this drug is 300.00 meaning insurance company only will pay 5???? So I called back and said I can't pay that, so I was told then it was 69.00 with my insurance, called my Dr back and told him to send a generic in pill form as I could not afford to pay for these medications and then called the insurance company to complain and was told they ran none of them through the insurance. Called Walmart back and told them and they said, "Oh yeah, we thought you wanted the CASH PRICE." Really!!!! So then ran it though insurance and was told my copay was zero. OMG. It's like pulling teeth to get things filled at that pharmacy.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Went in to pick up my RX for antibiotics. Was informed they were in the process of filling it, but would be going to lunch soon, and I would have to wait an hour and a half for it to be ready. Every experience I've had at Walmart Pharmacy has been poor. The staff are rude and show little to no compassion for the patients and their needs. They will NEVER go out of their way to make your experience easier. It is clear that they simply do not care about the people in front of them. In the past I have chosen Walmart simply because the costs are lower than other pharmacies, but Walmart has officially lost my business. I would rather pay a little more at a pharmacy that cares about their patients and treats them with the respect they deserve.

Original review: April 4, 2019

The pharmacist refused to come off break to dispense post-surgical painkillers, causing a medical emergency. She is now under investigation by the Virginia Board of Pharmacy for violating the Controlled Substances Act and gross negligence.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Because of past experiences at WalMart's Pharmacy (nearly 15 years), I always call ahead to make sure my mom's prescriptions are ready for pickup before going to pick them up. I renewed 3 of her prescriptions by phone on a Friday afternoon knowing that as new prescriptions were needed from the doctor's office it would likely be Monday late before they were available.

Checked first thing Monday AM and was told one was ready and the other two were in progress. No problem here as I planned to pick them up on Tuesday while picking up some groceries. I called Tuesday at lunch and was told they were ready. I thought to double check and make sure that they were filled for 90 days. Told by lady answering the phone that they were. Got my groceries first as there was a long line in Pharmacy and when I did go to pick them up--only two were ready. The other was on HOLD. No one knew why but it would be an additional 30 minutes before it was ready. Did I want to wait!? Told them I would pick them up the next day as I'd been told on the phone they were ready. No apology or concern that they were causing me to wait (despite having a buggy full of groceries) or make an additional trip due to them.

In the past there have been numerous things that have caused me to regret using them as my pharmacy. CVS looking better all the time though a bit out of my way. 1. Prescriptions not ready despite calling them to find out if they are ready. 2. Prescriptions not complete (only 12 tablets instead of 90) despite calling to see if they are ready. Could have told me this on the phone when I called. 3. Prescription not filled because unable to get from manufacture (again no phone call). 4. Not filled for 90 days despite request (and yes this is allowed for this medicine by the insurance). 5. Does not follow up with Dr's office when a new prescription is not called in despite both pharmacy and Dr's office policy is that the the patient NOT call Dr's office for refill. All in all WalMart's Pharmacy would receive a -5 rating from me if possible.

Original review: March 25, 2019

The prices are good, but it's wait, wait, and wait some more. Even if my doctor calls in the prescription and I wait to pick it up until the next day, it's a long wait. I have tried the online refill, same thing. You should be able to walk in, pick it up and pay and be done. Now if I take a new prescription in and leave it at the window, I expect a wait, but if they say 30 mins, I do not expect to return and be told another 30 minutes.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Used Wal-Mart for nearly a year, go to doctor every 3 months for checkup, and prescription refills. I take 3 meds. My family doctor would fax them to Wal-Mart and I would call and inform them I would come next day to pick up meds. I went 4 times in a year, and not 1 time did they ever have my prescriptions filled even after 24 hours. But 2 of the times they didn't my blood pressure medicine in stock and I would have to wait 2 days for them to get it in stock in order to fill my prescription. I have used CVS, Walgreens with no problems, always filled within an hour. I now use a pharmacy in the same strip mall where my family doctor is located, they walk the prescription over to the pharmacy and usually 15 minutes they have them filled. It is a little more expensive than CVS or Walgreens, but it's 15 miles one way to these name brand pharmacies. So with time and gas, it's more convenient to use a small local pharmacy.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Walmart is notorious, for crappie customer service. This includes waiting in line for your pharmacy prescriptions. And then you get up there to cashier to find out it's not ready, they have put it on hold?! What?! So now you have to wait again. Only one cashier?! With 15 people in line?! I hate Walmart.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Walmart prices are good, but are constantly changing going up and down. The clerks are usually slow and rude. They will text and say the order is ready and once you drive all the way over there it’s not ready. They even have to call the Dr. I would switch but it’s close to home.

Original review: March 14, 2019

If my insurance did not mandate that I use this pharmacy, I wouldn't. The old manager Cam was great. He retired and so did their quality. It's bad enough to have to wait for a prescription, but when I've called it in 2 days prior and I still have to wait - that's ridiculous.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Wal-Mart Pharmacy in Brunswick Troy NY, is about the greatest pharmacy ever. Jeff and the new young lady pharmacists are so accommodating. No matter how much you call with a question they are more than happy to answer and take their time with you. Would go nowhere else.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I went to Walmart in Memphis Tennessee on Austin Peay Highway. I went to the pharmacy and asked for my ** insulin. The girls saw me waiting and were in no hurry to wait on me. Finally one of them opened the refrigerator, took out a bottle and put it in a sack and handed it to me. You pay for it right then so I put it in my purse got home and put it in my refrigerator. The next day I got it out and looked at it, it was not what I asked for and paid for. I went back to Walmart to get told it was my fault for not looking at it before I walked away and they said no exchange or money back.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I was told that my prescription was a Maintenance issue and wasn't a priority, I shouldn't have ran out and since I had, they weren't going to fill it until the next day. I said what since when can you prioritize whose medication you want to fill? Then she said that you can call another store if you want your medicine. I had to call Seagoville pharmacy and they were Ashamed of Kaufman!!! I was so upset that I called back, spoke with store asst manager she went over and said something. Meanwhile mysteriously my prescriptions were ready WITH AN APOLOGY! SAVE YOUR APOLOGIES...YOUR PHARMACY SUCK...AND SO DO YOUR EMPLOYEES...

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

First of all I despise Walmart. I have been waiting all afternoon for a refill on my pain medication. Doctor called in and because it's a controlled substance they can only give me enough for a week. They finally told me this at 8:00pm and I've been in pain all day. Knee replacement. CVS here I come. Also, I admire foreigners who speak our language. I can't theirs. But, please please hire those that speak more clearly.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I recently broke a tooth and went to Walmart to have a prescription filled for a pain pill because a tooth was hurting me very badly. I waited for 2 and 1/2 hours in pain, for them to fill my prescription just for them to tell me that they were completely out of my pain medication.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My husband was given a 30 day script from the doctor for a recurring back injury. He went to the Walmart Pharmacy to fill said script. They called him when it was filled with a price of $31.00. Then, he gave them the insurance information. Walmart tech told him that he could only fill a 7 day script. Walmart policy, they said. We explained that the doctor wrote the script for 30 days. We then called the insurance company. They said that the script is covered for 30 days; but, Krishna (the pharmacist) decided to only fill 7 days and the other 21 days would be lost. In other words, go back to the doctor for another script.

I called Walmart Pharmacy to ask for management. They told me that he would be in the next day; but, that it was his insurance that only approved 7 day script. I explained that I had just spoken to the insurance company and that they told me that Krishna had made the determination. Brittany tried to defend Krishna, so I told her that I wanted to talk to the manager. He called me today and said that it was the insurance company. I explained that I had spoken with the insurance company and that they were not limiting the script to 7 days, nor did they deny that Krishna made the determination. He then told me that I would have to call the insurance company again and have a 3 way call to resolve this problem. We will be using a different Pharmacy from now on. By the way, I had filled the exact same script for myself one month ago without all of this drama. Please do not use Walmart's Pharmacy. They love to argue and place blame on everyone else!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have been filling prescriptions at Walmart for years. This time last year, I refilled an available prescription online, got the email saying they were filling it, and then went to pick it up, and they said they had no record of the prescription or me requesting to fill it. After a few frustrated calls to my insurance and the pharmacy themselves, I ended up requesting the doctor's office to send a refill to the pharmacy. No problems again, until today.

Yesterday, I refilled the available prescription online, got the email saying they were filling it, and then went to pick it up. Once again, they had no record of the prescription or my request to fill it. They said the prescription had expired a few days ago, and the unexpired one (from an appointment in August 2018) had disappeared from the system. I was also told that they had two profiles for me, which doesn't make any sense. Very unprofessional. I ended up having to request the doctor's office send in a new refill (once again) in order for it to be filled.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I never get my prescriptions filled at Walmart but considering ** is a one time fill and I was at Walmart shopping I decided to drop my prescription off and have it filled while I shopped. Well that was a mistake. 1st of all it took a lot longer to fill than they originally said so I said I would come back and get it tomorrow. Well I ended up in the hospital for almost a week and then for another week after that was having a hard time recuperating and did not go anywhere. I called Walmart pharmacy once I was feeling better and they said they had restocked my prescription because it had been more than 9 days and they would have to refill it. When I went to get it the pharmacist told me that because it was a narcotic and it was a first time fill I would only get 7 days' supply and in the process of waiting for the rest of my prescription they would be calling my doctor to make sure that I should have this prescription.

I came back 8 days later to find out that they cannot refill a narcotic prescription. I said, "This is not a refill. I had a prescription for 90 pills. You only gave me 21." and they said now I would have to get a new prescription which I know my doctor is not gonna do because of how strict the rules are now with opiates. The pharmacist told me that this particular pharmacist should not have told me that I could come back in a week and get the rest because that is not how they worked. I said, "Well he did and now you're not giving me the rest of my prescription?" How do you give a prescription for 90 pills and they only give you 21 and will not give you the rest - is that not up to the doctor to decide how many pills you get per month.

I have been on this medication since 2012. I have never abused it. I am afraid to get addicted to it therefore I do not take it as much as I am supposed to so it's not like I'm needing more ** right this second but I do have severe chronic back pain that some days cannot even walk and when I need my ** I need my ** and I want to have it for when I need it the most.

I am having a hard time wondering why my doctor can prescribe a medication to me that he has been prescribing for years and my doctor knows me more than any pharmacist. I am not an addict. He is trying to get me to take the medicine more often than I do but yet a pharmacist can tell me how much medication I can have because other people have a drug addiction. So in my rant I just want to say never go to Walmart pharmacy because you're gonna get screwed and you're gonna have to go back time and time again until they get it right. OMG I am so angry that I didn't just take the script to my pharmacy. Never will I use Walmart pharmacy again!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I recently moved an hour away from the Walmart where I had my scripts for years. I have severe RA and for 5 months now have been dealing with a very aggressive anterolateral impingement of the left knee for which I received a very minimal narcotic script of only 20 tablets. I didn't even require the medicine but every couple of months, from the Same physician and the same exact strength and dosage. When I moved I transferred my scripts from one Walmart store to another, and as everyone knows they all use the same computer records.

I am a single mom of 3 and struggle to pay bills as well as drive a vehicle that overheats easily, and when I took the script to the new Walmart (which at this point had filled a sleep medication that is also controlled last month) the very rude pharmacist loudly professed that she didn't feel comfortable dispensing a controlled substance to me and that I was walking with only a slight limp therefore the medication was overkill and I needed to take the script to be filled at the other Walmart that had filled the script in the past. Keep in mind she had the same records as the other Walmart and they are even in the same county. In order to receive the script I had to drive almost an hour to the old location while pulling over three times to keep my car from overheating.

The pharmacist at the old location was very nice and filled it quickly and was very aggravated that I had been treated this way. So my health is in the hands of an egotistical judgmental sadist who doesn't know my medical history or needs. This discrimination needs to be dealt with and pharmacists need to stick to filling legitimate prescriptions instead of acting as if they went to medical school. I have never been so ashamed and embarrassed as she made me feel today. A 3 day very low strength pain medication doesn't mean I'm a damn drug addict and I don't deserve to be treated as such or publicly shamed for my medication needs. Walmart on Winchester road in Huntsville Alabama will no longer have my family's business and will be reported.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I had the first shingles vaccine in Sept at Walmart. They said I should get the second shot in two months. Went back over and over and they said they didn't have the second vaccine but would call me when it gets in. I received a letter from Walmart saying I needed to go and get the second shot which is needed within 2-6 months from second shot. It has been 4 months. I went in today with the letter and they said they had the second shot. Since it was Jan 2 - my prescription insurance started over and they said I would have to pay 3 times as much as I did on the first one. I asked them if they had this shot for awhile and they said they did. They didn't call me and I could have gotten the shot at the price of the first one. Since I am on a strict budget, I was not able to get the shot today. Evidently they won't be getting any more until August and so getting the first shot was a waste for me because without the second shot it does not protect.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Pharmacy closes 6pm. Urgent care doctor rushed us out so that we can fill prescription before pharmacy closes. He apparently knew it closes at that time. Got to window at 5:36pm but was told to come back tomorrow because it was too late! REALLY! She was very rude & unapologetic still after pleading my case telling her my wife was in a lot of pain (had just broken a foot). She didn't care. Her response, "take your prescription to CVS". I did do that. The next morning the pharmacist there filled it in 10 minutes! Boycotting Walmart pharmacy!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Hwy 31 Hartselle, AL 35640 - I came in with a prescription for **. The line on the prescription subtitled Substitution Permitted was signed. Nonetheless they wanted to charge $29 for **, rather than $4 for the substitute ** which is on the $4 list. I took the bus and the round trip ended up taking about 2 hours. I won't do that again.

Walmart expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Walmart operates in-store and online pharmacies in most of its supercenter stores. Its pharmacies provide customers with discount brand name and generic prescriptions for consumers or their pets. Prescription refills are easy and they offer home delivery for medications, including pet medicine.

• Prescription refills: Customers can refill prescriptions with Walmart’s online pharmacy by either logging into their online account or by checking out as a guest. Guest checkout involves entering a date of birth and the prescription number located on the label. Seven prescriptions can be refilled at once. Walmart also has a $4 generic prescription list available for online ordering.

• Home delivery: Walmart provides online pricing, ordering and delivery on 90-day prescriptions. Consumers can call a toll-free number to place an order for delivery or log in to their online account. Delivery is free for standard five- to seven-day shipping, $8 for second-day delivery and $15 for overnight delivery. Payments must be made by credit card.

• Mobile pharmacy app: Consumers can download the Walmart app to manage their prescription orders, transfer prescriptions, see the $4 prescription list and place guest refills from the app 24/7. The app is available for Apple and Android devices.

• Pet medications: Customers with veterinary-prescribed medications can get them filled at Walmart in-store or online. Consumers can use the mobile app for a quick and easy way to fill pet prescriptions.

• Specialty pharmacy: Walmart's specialty pharmacy consists of a team of pharmacists, nurses and insurance experts to help consumers with special treatment plans achieve their treatment goals. It helps treat numerous diseases such as cancer, anemia, HIV/AIDS and cystic fibrosis. The specialty pharmacy offers online ordering, free temperature-controlled overnight shipping and reimbursement insurance claim assistance.

• Accreditation: Walmart Pharmacy is accredited by the URAC for its specialty pharmacy services and also holds accreditation by VIPPS for general pharmacy practices.

• Best for: consumers needing specialty pharmacy services and a wide range of discounted prescription medications.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs