Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.90/5

Publix Pharmacy Reviews

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I went to the Publix in Ocala Florida Churchill Square to pick up my prescription the next day after my doctor sent an E script. The prescription was not ready and I was told they put E prescriptions on hold back and fill them in 24 to 36 hours. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Needless to say, I now use Walgreens.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I have been a customer with Publix Pharmacy ever since they opened the Coastal North Town Center in North Myrtle Beach. I have watched a steady decline in service. They usually quote two hours minimum & sometimes 2-3 days for prescriptions after I arrive or call. If the doctor calls it in, they don’t fill the prescription unless I call to ask if the physician called. If I don’t call the day it’s sent in from physician, when I do call, they say things like, “Oh, yeah, I see it here now. Give me a couple of hours to get it ready for you” or the pharmacy assistant made a statement one day, “Oh, well Katherine, I guess you won’t get to eat your lunch. Every time I think you will get a break, somebody else shows up”. They definitely don’t treat me like they want my business, so I’m done with them.

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

Oh am I glad there is another forum I can post this in. Google reviews has it, but you know what, the people of the Facebook community deserve to know as well. Because I will purposely drive to a further non Publix supermarket, thanks to the model employee of the year, Adam, the pharmacist. Who has absolutely no sort of understanding for someone who is actually legitimately disabled and trying to live a productive life, and work, and contribute to society.

Literally the worst pharmacist in all of South Florida. Am I supposed to apologize for the fact that by age 32 I’ve had cancer multiple times and that I have lupus, rheumatoid arthritis AND narcolepsy? This freaking guy wasted not hours, but DAYS of my life. I called the urgent psychiatry line after hours, I called the ARNP and I even had to see my psychiatrist TWICE because of “publix requirements” which is total nonsense because at the end of the day, after my psychiatrist AND the owner of the practice both speak to him (after my psychiatrist had called it in!) he then calls me and he’s all happy like “Hi, this is Adam from Publix” as if he’s about to deliver the best news ever. Instead he tells me that he’s “just not comfortable” filling it.

Oh, really Adam? Why not just tell me that in the first place instead of WASTING my time, money and time I should have been working, but was instead figuring out this mess. Thanks Adam, because tomorrow, when I wake up, I won’t have any narcolepsy medication. Thanks Adam, because chemo, radiation, a stem cell transplant, immunotherapy and a lifelong autoimmune disease as well as the complete embarrassment of narcolepsy isn’t enough. Now, I can’t get in my car tomorrow. Because if I crash into someone and die. Or kill them. While I’m asleep at the wheel... well, it’s on you. Literally NEVER shopping at this Publix again. Ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

For a company that usually employs such great people, I am surprised they would continue to employ someone who treats customers and patients like they are second class citizens. I'm a veteran that served during the war and have been dx with PTSD and that now does work for the Government requiring me to travel out of state at times. The same Brandon that Shannon complained about on 6/19/19 has on multiple occasions looked down on me and treated me with some level of contempt because of the medicine I am prescribed. Because of my travel, there are times when I am not in town for a refill. It's part of my job.

But last month before Thanksgiving, I requested an early refill for travel and even saw my doctor on the same day who wrote on the prescription directing the pharmacist to fill the script early because of my work travel. But when I went to drop it off, Brandon refused to refill it because I requested an early refill for another trip approx 90 days prior and because I pick up my prescription usually on the 28th day per their policy on a 30 day prescription of this type. Well he refused to fill and only told me he's "not comfortable" because of my other refills. I'm in close contact with my doctor who understands my situation. But instead of Brandon asking questions to find out more about me, i can only guess that he assumed I'm requesting it early to do something nefarious like diverting my medicine or misusing it in some way.

I was embarrassed, ashamed and just left the store only to get it filled at Walgreens 30 minutes later. I will NEVER use a Publix pharmacy again and while I don't enjoy the non personal attention of another major chain pharmacy, at least they had the decency to understand my situation instead of just treating me like I was doing something wrong. I understand that a pharmacist has to protect their license and store but I should not and will not be treated as "less than" because of my medical status and the medicine my doctor prescribes. This is my local store so I see him working there regularly and am appalled that Publix would retain someone who has a record of treating patients like they are nobodies.

This is exactly the same complaint that Shannon made about him earlier this year so it would suggest that Publix has a problem pharmacist that they continue to employ. Avoid this pharmacy at all costs unless you enjoy being treated like you're a criminal or addict. I am also writing a letter to the FL pharmacy board because no one, especially our veterans, should be treated this way.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

If I could give negative stars I would. I sat in the drive thru for 15 minutes watching one of the techs play on his phone. When a customer walked up inside someone else had to help them because the other man was still on his phone. Finally I had to call them and tell them I was at the drive thru, I was told that my car didnt hit the ringer for some reason but I was there 30 minutes prior and had no issues I also hit the call button outside at least 10 times. Instead of being told sorry I was given a list of reasons as to why I had to wait so long. I assume the pharmacist walked over to assist and consistently roller her eyes at me, very rude and unprofessional.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publix Pharmacy?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I have had the worst experience with a Pharmacist at the Moores Mill Publix in Atlanta GA. The Pharmacist, Kimberly **, has accused me of mistaking my medication, spoken down to me, and now refuses to fill my medication. She has never asked a single question regarding the reason I take this medicine, yet says she is "part of my medical team". She is rude, demeaning and egotistical. I have NEVER been treated with such disrespect, in my life. I am absolutely appalled by the treatment and lack of care, I have received by her. I am disgusted that she continues to be employed by Publix.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I went to Publix Pharmacy in Jacksonville Fl Sunday to pick up a prescription for diabetic test strips. I am on Medicare and medicare Part B pays for diabetic test strips (not part D),. I have filled this specific prescription at this publix many times in the past with no issues. This time they told me they had a new policy and I had to fill out 3 different sheets of paper and sign each one.

One of the forms wanted my name, address, birth date and insurance card information. I told the clerk sign my insurance info was already in their computer. I did not fill that part out. She went and talked to the pharmacist who said I had to put my Social Security number on the form and I said I did not want to give them my SSN and he said that he would refuse to give me my prescription. He was really rude about this and kept on refusing so I left. I posted this as a question on the Publix Facebook page about why this was necessary and so far they have declined to answer my question. I transferred this prescription to Walgreens and had no issues in getting it. I think publix needs to explain why they need a SSN. Medicare cards no longer use SSN as an ID.. they use a medicare ID number now.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

On 9/4/19 @5:30 PM, I went to Publix to pick up my prescription for ** 100-25mg. The Pharmacy tech said, "We are out of this medicine, we have been trying to get it for 2 weeks, so we are telling people to call their physician to get 2 prescription, one for ** and one for **." All l could say was, "Oh my God. This is my blood pressure meds. I could have a stroke." My Doctor office is close. I am still in shock. I cannot believe this. I am finished with Publix. I will be taking this complaint further.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I have been a Publix grocery shopper all my life. I started using their pharmacy about eight years ago. I became friends with one of the managers who told me if a pharmacist at Publix doesn’t want to fill a controlled substance, they tell the patient they are out of stock. Pharmacy managers are no longer allowed to order stock. In Florida, all pharmacies were told their stock of ** 30 mg is being reduced by 60%.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Brandon the pharmacist is making up his own policies. I transferred all my medicine for my family 3 weeks ago. When I called to find out what I needed to do to transfer he said we could do it over the phone and they would get everything from CVS who we were using previously. I had to list all the medications for all of us. Which I did.

I set up originally with Publix in 2015 but had to switch due to insurance change. It has changed where they accept public and I decided to switch back. My prescriptions are currently with Publix. I had my husband go in today to drop off my prescription for ** today. He refused to fill it. So I called and he said I need to be on it for 6 months in order for him to fill it. I explained that they use to fill it for me up until 2017 when we switched. He can not see that far back and refuses. I went to the location when I got out of work and showed him the script. He said this is a policy and I asked to see in writing. He says it is not in writing. Then he says he can refuse any script. I asked to see that and he could not find this policy either. He then said I will fill it this one time but that’s it. Really what is the difference? This is not a good way to do business. I want a supervisor call back please and thank you for your time.

Publix Pharmacy author review by ConsumerAffairs

Publix provides consumers with in-store and online pharmacy services in nearly 90 percent of its stores. From free medications, online prescription refills and specialty online pharmacy services, Publix has multiple options to make pharmacy services more convenient.

• Prescription refills: Prescription refills are quick and simple with Publix. Customers can go online and fill out the refill form which includes the pharmacy number (found on the prescription label), prescription number and preferred pickup time.

• Specialty pharmacy: The Publix specialty pharmacy works with customers’ doctors and insurance providers to ensure the lowest out-of-pocket costs. The specialty pharmacy will help customers manage their medication therapies and programs with educational material, scheduled refills and home delivery.

• Free medication program: Publix offers the most commonly prescribed medications for free. Customers with a prescription from their doctor for common antibiotics, diabetes medication and blood pressure medication can get up to a 90-day supply at a time for free. Free medication includes amlodipine, lisinopril, metformin and amoxicillin.

• Sync refills: Customers can take advantage of Publix refill syncing so their recurring prescriptions can be scheduled to be ready on a particular day. Once a refill calendar is set up, customers can choose to receive text alerts or phone calls when their prescription is ready for pickup.

• FLAVORx: For customers with children needing to take medication, Publix offers FLAVORx as a way to help them consume the medication by making it taste like bubblegum, grape, strawberry or apple. FLAVORx is sugar-free, non-allergenic and available for $2.99 on each prescription.

• Accreditation: Publix Special Pharmacy has earned accreditation by the URAC.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team