Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5
Based on 1,563 ratings submitted in the last year

CVS Caremark Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS Caremark?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS Caremark?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

CVS/Caremark's monopolistic control over which pharmacy I can use should be investigated. My neighborhood pharmacy was considered to be "in-network" until last year. Unless I want to pay out-of-pocket for my medications, I no longer have the choice to use my local pharmacy with a pharmacist whom I trust. Last month, CVS would not fill a 30-day supply of my blood pressure medication because of their 90-day supply rule. I had transferred my prescription from my local pharmacy to CVS and went into CVS to pick up my prescription. CVS said that the prescription could not be filled for more than 30 days because I had 30 days left on my previous prescription; as a result I was without my maintenance blood pressure medicine and had to figure out that I still had a 30-day supply at my local pharmacy. I was forced to go back to my local pharmacy and get the 30-day supply which was "not covered" by my insurance (CVS Caremark).

If I had trouble navigating what CVS is now doing to enforce their “draconian” methods on patients, how could a less savvy or elderly person understand what was happening when they could not pick up a required maintenance medication? I have to admit, that it took a number of phone calls to get an explanation that made sense to me as I had not been informed by my local pharmacy or by CVS Caremark that they would no longer cover my prescription at my local pharmacy. I am being charged for insurance coverage that I cannot use by paying premiums to CVS Caremark but am paying out of pocket prices without coverage from CVS Caremark. The cost of a 1-month supply of my blood pressure medicine (without insurance) at my local pharmacy is $7.00 whereas CVS charges $29.78 for the same 30-day supply. This is highway robbery. Additionally, Medicare is CVS’ “cash cow,” making millions of dollars from Medicare’s Part D prescription programs.

I had never heard of "in-network" and "out-of-network" pharmacies but would have to pay $533 for a one month supply of a blood pressure medicine by using a pharmacist that I trust. Otherwise, I am required to purchase a three-month supply from CVS while the doctor is still determining whether a medication works. If it doesn't I would be saddled with expensive medication that I cannot use.

CVS Health is a Oligopoly. Citizens should have a choice where to purchase their medications and services. I hope that your office will consider investigating CVS Caremark and other such monopolies that are driving independent pharmacies out of business. CVS insurance reimbursements are astronomical, while independent pharmacy reimbursement have been slashed to "pennies on the dollar.”

CVS is buying up independent pharmacies at an alarming rate. These actions are destroying neighborhood pharmacies that provide a number of services that CVS does not. I am not interested in CVS Caremark becoming an arm of my physician's medical practice. CVS has a history of incompetence and gross mismanagement. I do not want to place my trust in this organization.

CVS Caremark should be investigated for antitrust behavior as CVS and other monopolies were investigated and broken up back in CVS is buying up independent pharmacies at an alarming rate. These actions are destroying neighborhood pharmacies that provide a number of services to the community that CVS does not. I am not interested in CVS Caremark becoming an arm of my physician's medical practice. CVS has a history of incompetence, profiteering and gross mismanagement. I do not want to place my trust in this organization.

Citizens should have a choice where to purchase their medications and services. I hope that your office will consider investigating CVS Caremark and other such monopolies that are driving prescription prices up and independent pharmacies out of business. I am including a link to a 2018 article in BUSINESS INSIDER which discusses WHAT CVS IS DOING TO MOM AND POP PHARMACIES: **.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

We are insured through my WIfe's Employer. The Insurance is with Aetna. We have been insured with them for decades. Mail order Rx were fulfilled via AETNA HOME DELIVERY. Their service was fantastic and THEN...CVS acquired Aetna. Soon afterwards, mail order Rx were being serviced by Caremark home delivery, a subsidiary of CVS. Right from the beginning of Caremark's takeover it has been a disaster for us. SO many mistakes by Caremark. For instance; suddenly, they show no record of my WIfe's medications. Suddenly, they have no record of our credit card for automatic payment.

We were recently away for 7 weeks and I made a point of calling Caremark and requesting that my medications be mailed to the resort where we would be staying. Well, THAT never happened. It is such a hassle when you're away on a vacation and run out of medicine. I could go on and on about the ineptness of this company but I hope whoever is reading gets the message of NOT using this company as a source of Rx home delivery.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

My health insurance very unfortunately uses CVS Caremark as its mail away medication provider. I have had two horrible experiences in the last year. I've been on a generic form of ** for 15 years, and all of a sudden they decided to deny coverage! My doctors off and myself spent hours explaining to them that this medication was not being used for smoking cessation (I've never smoked), but was for use in treating my depression. After over a week of fighting, they finally approved it. Then just last week, they decided they weren't going to cover my ** (generic **) anymore, even though I've also been taking that for over 5 years as needed. Once again, phone call after phone call and straight out lies that they'd sent my doctor a form for prior authorization.

In the end, they DENIED it. THEY are not my physician! I asked my physician to just write me a prescription to take to the Publix pharmacy (I switched over my medications there after another experience at the local CVS - they claimed I had no refills left on a medication.When I brought in the original bottle they filled it in, and showed them it indicated "one refill" by a time 6 months from now and asked them to show me when that refill had been used, they COULDN'T but STILL refused to fill it) and paid cash for it. Guess what? Both of the aforementioned prescriptions were CHEAPER at Publix without insurance. CVS had been charging me the full deductible on my plan.... Publix charged the actual cost! I will never set foot in another CVS store again, and ask my employer to consider switching to a provider who does not utilize CVS.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

My husband and I have had nothing but problems with the mail order service. We are both on Medicare and have to follow up with these jokesters each month. Our issues have been:

*Saying they shipped but didn’t.
    *Saying they didn’t receive the prescription from our doctors (they have on several occasions) when they did.
    *Sent 9 months of one prescription when only 3 months were ordered.
    *Sent 90 pills instead of 270 for 3 months. This is crazy because the prescription states and was ordered for 3 months even on the label. 3xdaily for 90 days = 270. Mind you, this is an automatic refill within their system. The previous was filled correctly. The solution they provided was for me to call my doctor and have her send a new rx.
    *Charged me my deductible on my first order with a copay of less than $5. So my first Rx this year cost me over $650.

*Charge me for the non generic drug but ship me the generic.

I could go on but you get the idea. They are a joke. My only recourse is to get them somehow to drop me so I can get coverage elsewhere. I can’t believe they are allowed to take such advantage of seniors this way. Luckily, I have enough smarts to deal with these guys. It’s only February!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

We are two persons in the household and the list of unprofessional events at CVS even with emails sent to the CEO Larry Merlo made us both start a complaint some of the issues but not limited. My doctor prescribed me ** two times a day. They sent me one a day pill. After a month of taking an incorrect dose my doctor told me that she sent the correct script. We order ** ointment prescribed to use twice a day for a month and they sent one unit 15 GM enough for only one week. They charged me ** a medication that my insurance covers in full $100 for 90 days supply and the cost is less than $15.

The retail located in Rego Park at 63 Dr always is crowded, with clients screaming and upset. The field manager told me to do whatever when complaining about the endless mistakes. The executive office of Larry Merlo confirmed that we were contacted upon a complaint against the retail field manager and a new mistake dispensing medication. We never got a call from anybody. The patient advocates are changing month by month. This pharmacy service is a shame.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Ever since my medical insurance switched its pharmacy and prescriptions over to CVS Caremark, my life has been extremely inconvenienced and my health impacted negatively. More than once, I wouldn't be able to obtain my medication because of their non-sensical requirements. The latest and greatest worst experience with CVS is them denying a refill after I lost/misplaced my medication during a move to a different state.

I'm sure I'm not the first or last person in the world to have misplaced items during a move but their "exception" (code 004) which is for "lost, stolen, or damaged" would not apply in my case, even though it was actually lost, stolen or damaged. They would insist I had to get a 90-day supply, which I did have available as refill and I was totally okay with getting, however, it was "too soon" to refill. Of course it was too soon, I lost the last month! But the "exception" would not apply. Long story short, after hours on the phone, I had to pay $180 for a month supply or go a month without it. I pay $300 a month for this type of service and "Care".

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Had such a horrible first experience. I live in PA and will be starting a new medication that unfortunately will be delivered by this company. I was quoted 4 different prices in a matter of 24 hrs. I was left a voicemail by this company regarding my prescription so I called them back on 1/28 just to speak to a young lady who had me on hold for 30 + to then tell me that my out of pocket expense was $400. Then when I wanted to provide a savings card from the manufacture she informed the reason for the long hold was due to her having technical difficulties and I would have to call back in tomorrow.

I call back today 1/29 and I get a gentleman. I explained to him why I was calling back in and I provided him my savings card information. He then proceeded to tell me that he applied it by mistake to my second dose and not my first dose. He said the cost of the second dose would be $5 but that I would have to pay out of pocket $3000 + for the first one. When I explained to him that was inaccurate he proceeded to chuckle and tell me that he was not properly trained on the system he was using so he would have to transfer me to someone else.

The 3rd women I was transferred to was extremely helpful and fixed all the prior screw ups in the system and also placed me on hold and contacted the manufacturer and applied all savings for my first and second dose and even scheduled a delivery date. I hang up and less then an hour later I’m being called by CVS Caremark by a different person telling me that my prescription is ready to be shipped but my out of pocket cost would be 4000 +. It got even worse after this but to make a long story just a tad shorter. After being placed on hold several times and speaking to a supervisor it was fixed again. Once again this was all within a 24hr time period. Just the thought of having to deal with this company on a monthly basis is stressful. Good luck finding an employee when you call in that knows what they are doing it’s very hard. Something seems very off and not right about this company!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I had a very bad experience with CVS Caremark. My order was shipped to the wrong address. When I contacted Caremark they agreed that it was shipped to the wrong address, however said that my prescription was used and my insurance paid for the medication, therefore I can not get another order shipped to the correct address. When I said that I am not going to pay for the prescription sent to somebody else neither with my insurance, not with my prescription refill, Caremark rep said that it is the normal standard situation and nothing can be done. Basically, it is normal for Caremark to violate the law by using people's prescriptions and making them pay for medications that were never delivered.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

My employer just switched to CVS Caremark from Express Scripts and it has been the most horrible experience and we just started the plan this year! The prior authorization department needs a lot of work. I needed an** prescription and I have been going back and forth with Caremark for over a week to get the prior authorization approved. When I first called CVS Caremark customer service advised the doctor's office needed to call in the prescription, when my doctor's office spoke with a rep at Caremark they advised that ** was not covered and ** was, so my doctor put in that prescription.

I was checking my caremark dashboard daily to confirm if the prescription was processed and it wasn't. I waited 2 days and called customer service back, one rep told me ** wasn't covered, I called again because the rep was super rude and short and would not elaborate. When I got another rep she said that I need to speak with the benefits department at 866-249-1556 and ext. **. The rep on 1/15/20 said they did not have my insurance information so that is why my prescription was pending, which is odd since they are my insurance prescription provider. She said due to the holidays I would need to call on 1/19/20 to confirm that authorization was approved.

This is where things go from bad to worse because I need to have the prescription by 1/21/21, anyone who is trying to conceive knows the importance of getting the medications on time so all the preparation and other meds you endured beforehand doesn't go to waste. I called back on 1/19 and was told that the ** was not covered under my policy, they do not have the previous ** prescription that was sent in and that the doctor must call the PA department at 866-814-5506 to get verbal approval for **. I told my doctor's office this and they called and the PA department advised to speed things up they should put in the authorization on covermymeds.com. If a verbal authorization suffice why would they direct them to cover my meds?

I spoke with the benefits department who kept telling me that my doctor's office never called to put in the prior authorization, Fernando with the benefits department was extremely rude, super short and did not want to help or listen to what I was saying at all. I called back and spoke with Beth who was more helpful and then requested to speak with their manager Yessenia who called the PA department herself with me on the phone. They did confirm my doctor called them but said the doctor office called to get a key for covermymeds, which makes no sense, how would they even know about this website?

Either way I have been getting back and forth from the authorization department when all they needed to do was accept and put in the system that my doctor called and authorized the **. I spent over 4 hours on the phone with them yesterday, ultimately Raj K. with the PA department advised to have my doctor's office to call back to the same number 866-814-5506 early in the morning and request a verbal authorization of the **.

My doctor's office called and sent me an message stating they followed the directions given to me, I waited 2 hours, called the benefits department back, got Fernando on the phone again who proceeded to tell me my doctor's office never called, the authorization was still pending. I gave him my PA confirmation number, he then stated that someone was working on it and should reach out to me. I asked why he said that my doctor's office never called and he proceeded to get short, was rude and denied.

Right now I am still waiting on Caremark authorization. I need this prescription by Thursday (tomorrow). What really burns me up is how convoluted this process is, how so may reps give various information which delays the process, and how no one from the PA department can actually confirm whether someone calls them because they do not adequately document their file. I am left feeling defeated, angry, unheard, and disappointed that this is my new prescription provider (employer plan). I may have to skip this month in trying for a child because of the red tape in place by CVS.

I would hate for my fellow co-workers to go through the same thing if they need a medication on a deadline that requires prior authorization. If a verbal authorization is all that is needed then do not direct a doctors office to a website or send a fax, just take the verbal! Customer service needs better training and more compassion.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

Be aware that if you get a new prescription CAREMARK mail in will NOT contact you if it is a non covered prescription. THEY WILL FILL IT AND CHARGE TRIPLE AS A CO PAY!!! EVEN IF THEIR OWN SITE TELLS YOU THE COST is one third the price. IF you use a pharmacy they tell you what is not covered and will give you advice on how to get it at a reasonable price. ONCE YOU GET THE DRUG MAIL ORDER YOU CANT return it!!!

CVS Caremark Company Information