1.89/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2521 Target Stores Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I had problems with one store in which the manager seemed to be letting things slip badly. I managed to get someone in their so-called guest services department on the phone. This person took down my information and then said she would forward my complaint to the store manager. Since the store manager was, in fact, the problem, this wasn't going to help. That's when I discovered that there is no way to escalate a complaint! And that's when I stopped shopping at Target. But I still have a Target credit card, with a large outstanding balance. I ran into some trouble and got my account put on a payment plan.

Less than two months later, with all the payments having been made, they reported me as delinquent to the credit bureaus. They claim that this was a system error and that they'll fix it - in a few days. No offers of any compensation for my trouble. When I asked for an address to send a legal demand letter, the rep refused and hung up on me. It seems they'd rather push me to get a lawyer and sue them than let me talk to someone who might offer an acceptable resolution. Well, if that's what they want...

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

On Nov 14, 2018 Target online has LG 65UK6090PUA advertised for $899. It shows that it can't be shipped to my zip code. On Nov 15, 2018, the same TV is advertised for $599 (sale ends today). Again it says: "Shipping to 73134 no longer available, buy in store." I visit the local store, I show the online ad that says it is available at the local store. The employee looked it up and there were 7 available at $899. The manager refused to match the price stating that since it is "no longer available for shipping" they do not have to match the price. I argue the point that I had selected "my store" and it still showed $599 and said "buy in store".

The manager said: "Yes, you can buy it in store for $899, we will not match the online price." I brought up that the policy says: "WE MATCH TARGET.COM PRICES ON IN STORE PURCHASE AND IN STORE PRICES FOR TARGET.COM PURCHASES. In store price matches from other Target stores are excluded."

Again I was told they didn't have to match the price since it shows not available for shipping. Something else to think about: If it was not available the day before, how can they run a sale on an item they don't have?

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I purchased a 84" curtain panel and one of the layers of decorative ruffles at the top of the curtain was sewn into a seam rendering the item defective. Target will not mail me a replacement because the item was purchased in-store, so it must be exchanged in-store. Yet, the item is currently out of stock at the store where I purchased it. I don't understand why Target would expect me to waste my time and money to go across town to get a replacement when they could just as easily mail a replacement with the address I provided when I e-mailed guest.service@target.com. Their customer service is horrendous.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Long story short! Ordered a deep freezer from Target Oct 24 2018, UPS damaged it on delivery. Call Target for refund, I had to purchase another one because their system locked. Sent the old one back, called them again to see what the process was. No one could find my returned item for 4 days and giving me the wrong info. Finally located my return, I was told refund was processed on Oct 29th and my refund would be here in 3 to 5 days. Nov 1st I called to check on the process and they said all was going good. No refund. I called back Nov 12, and they said that they just processed my refund on Nov 6th and I need to wait 7 to 10 days now. They had different stories all associates that I dealt with. No more Target ordering for me. I'll stick to the other companies.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Well, to make the story short. Bought a dining set, damaged, returned but Target won't issue refund saying they team will contact me instead. I checked online and it still asking me to return the item. I called and was told they just need to update showing items has been returned to get refund. Days later it still asking me to complete my return. I contacted them again and was told their leadership team will contact me instead. (It was research team before)... But won't update the tracking. Basically got items and holding my money and won't give it back. Thief and liar!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I ordered a vacuum cleaner online, but it was delivered to the wrong address even though I entered the correct address. When a replacement was delivered it was missing parts. I was told there was one in stock at the local store so I drove over to find out that there was NOT one in stock.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I ordered an air purifier from target.com. They said they had one available at my store. Within one hour I received an email and a text saying my item was available for pickup. I happened to click on the link in the email and it took me to my online account, which they forced me to open. That's another story. Upon logging into my account it said the order was canceled. I called the local store and gave them my order number. They said, "We don't have the order. That probably means we didn't have it in stock and so the person canceled the order." I said thanks, and hung up.

I incorrectly assumed that they would refund my debit card through PayPal. The next day I received two emails from Target saying the $195 was applied to a Target gift card instead of being refunded to my original payment method, debit card. I was furious. I called customer service. It took her about 15 minutes to cancel the gift card and manually request that the funds to be applied back to my debit card. She said it would take a few days. It's now 3 days later and still no refund. She also said they would send me an email confirming the request. Still no email.

My girlfriend happened to cancel an online order around the same time. She also had to call to cancel the gift card and get a refund. They told her it may take up to 30 days! There is no doubt in my mind that this is an intentional corporate policy to try and keep your money. This is fraudulent behavior in my option and Target should be held accountable. They have lost a customer for lifetime.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

THIS DOES NOT EVEN EARN 1 STAR - only checked so I could review them. Tried to order 2 furniture pieces online. Kept getting Sorry there is a problem! Gave up tried again 2 hours later same thing! Called customer service. OMG are you kidding! No service there trouble understanding diction! Placed the order with someone Irby? Did not get an order number, was disconnected, no email! I called back got the same language was told by the information I gave him the order wasn't placed!!! WHAT! WHAT ABOUT MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER!!! GOOD GRIEF!!! Obviously there is a communication issue not only in the language but the service. I finally hung up and I am done with Target! Just terrible! Need to get their stuff together! **.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Because I'm a senior, I don't have a car and am disabled I have been ordering online for over a year and everything went fine until recently. Because of the above I make sure that all items will be delivered, however, I rec'd an email from Target stating that I had to pick up one item at their store. I chatted with three employees on different occasions and they can barely write English properly so it's hard to understand what they are trying to say. One of them told me that I had picked up the item, I told him to show me proof since I did not do so, they gave me the runaround and finally I sent an email to the CEO with copies of all the chats as proof. I realize that Target hired many temp employees for the holidays but us the customers are paying for the cheap labor while Target profits.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I ordered a comforter on Target.com and it just never came! I ended up cancelling the order after waiting two weeks for something that was supposed to arrive in five days. There was no transparency on Target's website, the item was in the "Preparing" stage for the full two weeks. Very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Received ad in Saturday paper on 32" Visio 1080p TV, went to the store and as always there was no stock. Asked the manager (Sandy), "Is it coming in?" And she said she don't know because corporate does the ordering. Now keep in mind the sale starts on Sunday, so I would have her say to me, "We have stock but can't sell it to you for the sale price until Sunday." When is this fraud going to end, how can you advertise an item knowing you have no stock and have no clue (don't believe that for a minute) when you will receive stock. Tired of Target and when are the consumer advocates going to step in?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Target online will display an item as in stock, even if they don't have enough stock for all their orders. As a result, on the day your order should arrive, they will then tell you that there's been a delay. This will happen regardless of what delivery option you chose. So a $30 expedited shipping may end up arriving on the same day as a standard shipping. Of course, if you try to get a delivery date assurance beforehand, both the online tracker will assure you it will arrive on that date, and their customer service reps will tell you the same thing, all the way up to the day of, where they will regretfully inform you that they couldn't fulfill the order. Both their store pages and their customer service use deceptive practices when trying to get your orders.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

If you are ordering from Target.com - please do yourself a favor, save yourself from disappointment and bad experience! Some items may seem cheaper on their website than the others but do NOT be persuaded. It was my first time ordering online. I rate shopped from various sites and theirs seems cheaper and faster to get delivered. They do not have an option to expedite shipping, too. They will just give you a range and a faster option is to pick it at the nearest store. I chose the option of picking it up in the nearby store. That saves time a little bit. When I placed my order, I made sure that the last date from the range is still on time for the event that we are going. When we actually need it, to give allowance if there's any delay. Comes the next day, I got an email from them that it will be delayed than the initial range and that they haven't charged my card yet. I thought that's fine, we still have time. So I approved that delay.

Comes another day, another email I received from them. Guess what? It will be delayed again!!! Way later than the initial range of date posted when I made an order. The main point why we are placing that order in their website in the first place! So I called their customer support - the person that I spoke to, told me, "sorry," the reason for the delay is they thought they have it but turns out they have to get it from another facility hence the delay. He's pinning it on the system they have and they can't do anything about it. VERY MISLEADING!!! Why would their system show that it's available and provide a range of date when they can't actually deliver! AGAIN. Do NOT order online on their website else you will be the next person writing another negative review with a bad experience. Try Amazon or something else.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I've ordered online from Target for years and was always mostly happy with the results. However, since Target was taken over by Amazon recently, my latest online ordering experience was abysmally bad and I'm not surprised to see many customers who feel the same way. I placed an order on 10/11 - Target separated this into about 5 different orders. Two of the orders never shipped at all. The UPS status just said a label had been created, but they had not received the package yet from Target. I contacted Target two times to ask about those orders and they simply said they could give me a refund. No explanation of what the heck happened, but at least I got my money back for those items.

They also shipped a glass bowl to me in a crappy box that was almost falling apart and that had no label indicating it was fragile. Naturally it was cracked upon arrival and that will require a trip to Target to get a refund. The most annoying thing about this experience was, there was one part of the order with several items that shipped out and for some reason were delivered to a "local access point" rather than my home. I called both UPS and Target trying to explain that I wanted the items delivered to my home (as I had specified in the order) and that I don't even have a vehicle to get the items from an Access Point. For whatever reason, it was simply impossible for this to be accomplished (never had this problem with any other online vendor in my life), so I talked to Target and told them I wanted the package returned to them and a refund issued for the items.

The customer service person I talked to at that time was nice and said he would issue the refund right away. Several days later, I see the refund has not been issued, but the tracking number shows it was received by Target. I call Target yet again and after about 1/2 an hour of trying to explain, they finally understood and said I would get my refund within the next few business days. Called again after a few business days and still not receiving refund and was told this time it would about 7-10 days to receive the refund. At this point, I see Target as crooks. They have the merchandise AND my money. I should at least get one of those things since I'm the buyer. I know I'll simply have to keep calling them to get this resolved and will get nowhere.

I will absolutely never purchase anything from Target again. Even though the problem was with their online ordering, I won't even go into their stores again because I won't do business with crooks. Also, Target used to be the one and only store in existence that didn't blast music over the loudspeakers. There was no music and it was wonderful to browse the items in peace and quiet and not have some annoying pop song in your head. Well, the minute they got bought out by Amazon, they started playing trendy music in their stores. Not that it would have made a difference to me at this point, but they now suck in every respect.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Tried the online store pickup. It was not my first time, but since the renovation to include groceries to the store the online store pickup became separate from returns. Which I thought was great, but before the changes the online store pickup had a separate line and pickup was priority to customers returning items. Since the change, now I have to wait in line behind people with shopping carts because the floor manager in Queens Place didn’t want the pickup register to be standing still. He had made in store shoppers to go to online store pickup register to reduce the long lines in regular registers (long line problem always seems to be the case whenever I see him managing the floor).

I don’t mind as long as he prioritized store pickup. He did not. Nor did the guy at the register notify me that some of the items I’ve ordered were not available and were not included in my purchase/pickup. I’ve made a complaint and I heard his excuses. Next time I visited Target (not online pickup), he made the employees announce that online pickup register is open to store shoppers for several weeks as if to retaliate against my complaints. The online store pickup became a regular register which undermines the point of it and I will never do online store pickup again.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We ordered a red 6 cup Brita water filter and 4 days later received a dark gray one on our doorstep. I called customer service and was told we would receive the correct one in 3 days as well as a 5% discount on our next purchase and a return shipping label. The gray product is listed as $7.00 less expensive than red but we were charged the higher price as well.

After 8 days we had not received anything so I called customer service. I was told we had to ship the other filter back to receive credit before the correct filter could be shipped. We live 50+ miles from any Target store and this was not our error so I was adamant they correct the problem. The customer service supervisor actually hanged up on me! I called back and demanded to speak to her direct supervisor and was told by him they could only credit my card and charge for another filter after the wrong filter was physically returned to the store. I advised him we would not pay freight or drive 50 miles to correct their screw up and he reluctantly agreed to make a full refund to our card. We found the water filter at competitor in-store for 5 dollars less by the way but we’ll wait until our card is credited due to the previous lies and deceit.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I’m not happy about their new online store pick up process of charging your card before you even go to the store to pick up your order. They used to wait for you to come in and verify they had the correct item before they would fully process your order. I did not receive any type of letter or email giving me a heads up this was changing. When I called into a Target store today they weren’t even aware the process changed either.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Oct. 15, 2018 - I went to the Target store in Lakewood, CA this morning and had to walk over clothing on the floor, empty carts in the aisle and no restrooms on the 1st floor. I asked a sales clerk where the sports clothing for women has been moved and he just said he didn’t know. I finally found the area but there was little merchandise and all were on sale. But when I went to try on a couple of items of clothing that I finally found, the handicapped dressing room door would not even close let alone lock and there were items of clothing all over the dressing room.

I tried another dressing room and found it so small I couldn't even try on any clothes. I finally found a store clerk and asked how long this construction/remodel will be and he said "They say it might be completed by December." But he didn't say what year and the store does not look like it has any new merchandise and even has unplugged all their frozen food freezers and moved them into the center of the first floor. (1) Nowhere to try on clothes safely. (2) No new merchandise. (3) Sales clerks don’t know where anything is. My recommendation to handicapped shoppers - AVOID THIS STORE COMPLETELY.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I purchased phone cards on Target.com and was told I should have them within 4 hours which I did one; however it took 5 days to get the second one. There was no explanation (I even had two different individuals say I would have them immediately) both over 3 days before I did. I was eventually told that they had lied (or actually that it was hard to believe that I had been told that since they would of had no way of knowing). This made me feel as if they thought I was lying. Then due to the first frustration of several hours on the phone I was given a $5 gift card (for $100 of aggravation)! Then the card actually has so many restrictions that it is too frustrating to even use! Good plan terrible service and they give you nothing in return. But can say they did. So shady!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

The item has a manufacture defect on it, made a replacement. The second time the item has a different manufacture defect on it, yes, again. I wanted to return the item, Target gave me a UPS label, but they scheduled a pick up with USPS. I called back requesting to send me a correct company, they gave me a new UPS label, but never scheduled the pickup with UPS. I called back again and asked to speak with a manager, it took an ordeal to speak with one. Finally they scheduled a pickup date. After several phone calls to Target's customer service, with many of them had foreign accent, difficult to understand, finally it took 3 weeks for Target to take care of me. So frustrating and very stressful.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

The website is clumsy at best. So many issues! Once again can't access my account! My account numbers don't exist! Username and password are once again not correct! I can't even find out my balance or how to pay it! Here goes another 30 minute runaround on the phone!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

First, I'd like to say that I shop at Target often. I spend a fair amount of money there and I appreciate that it's a one-stop shop where I can conveniently get many items that I need. This is the second time that I've ordered items online and it's been a frustrating and bizarre experience. One of the items in my order was incorrect. It was not the item that I ordered as confirmed by both the receipt in the box and the confirmation email I received so I called customer service. Target has obviously chosen to outsource their customer service overseas.

The person that I was speaking to clearly could not understand what I was saying. She kept offering to refund me and I kept asking if I could just get the item that I ordered. I was not rude in any way. I did not raise my voice at all. She put me on hold multiple times and just kept repeating the same things when she would come back on the line. Finally, she put me on hold, came back on the line, said a couple of words and hung up. Now, not only do I not have the product that I want but I'm totally frazzled after a really weird and unhelpful phone call. I will no longer order from Target.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have ordered pet food and other supplies from Target several times. The last two times, almost every 3 oz can of cat food was wrapped in an individual plastic bag. Since I ordered 92 cans of cat food, I had to unwrap 92 cans! Each can also has sticker on the top. 92 stickers to be removed. Two of the varieties had wrong quantities -- 1 too many of one, and 1 too few of the other.

My order shipped in 5 boxes. One packing slip was SO wrong -- it had duplicate items, wrong items, wrong quantities -- didn't match what was in the box at all.

Very inefficient packaging. The boxes all shipped and arrived the same day. 4 boxes contained canned cat food. Two of the boxes held 1 can each; 1 box has 6 cans and the other box 4 cans. The fifth box held the rest of the cat food. I won't be ordering cat food from Target again. It takes much too long to even check the order in, and I don't want to contribute to more wasted packaging.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I recently ordered the profusion cosmetics contour makeup case along with some other makeup and I was very excited to receive my order. When my order arrived, the blush was placed in a separate fragile bag so it wouldn't be ruined. When I opened the box with all the other stuff, my contour wasn't in a fragile bag and the makeup went all over the place when I opened the container. The mascara I ordered was nowhere to be found and arrived days later even though I marked that I wanted everything in one shipment.

I called customer service and they said they couldn't ship me a new contour case but they could send me an online gift card to place a new order. I collected my gift card and went back onto the Target site to order my contour again and it said my order needed to cost a total of $25 for it to ship. I have no idea why they couldn't have just sent a new contour case with no additional charge. I was very unhappy with this experience and do not recommend ordering things online.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Online items received in poor condition. 1 is Lego kit intended for gift and will have to return to store for refund; it looks like somebody stood on the LEGO box. I cannot give; might have broken pieces. Looks like I bought from discount bin. 2 & 3 basically the same issue with 2 more Lego kits. Seems like sending banged up toys that will not sell at store. 4 is a little more disturbing. I bought 4 boxes of K-cups (18 count). I received 3 proper boxes, and 18 loose K-cups dumped into the shipping carton. This is a food product! Are they clean! Does the shipping carton have residual pesticide, bug poisoning, etc.! What if I had intended as inclusion in gift basket? Where is the original mfg box?!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I ordered two car seats online through Target. An infant car seat and a booster that needed to be replaced because I was in an accident. I received the booster about a week later but it was missing the cupholders. The following day I was supposed to receive the infant car seat and instead I receive a huge bookshelf that I didn't order. I message them and send them pictures online and no one ever replied so I called their number and spoke to a person with a strong accent who told me I'd get my infant car seat the next day (even though tracking said my car seat had already been delivered- although I did receive something from target it was not my car seat which I had ordered.) So I waited the next day and no car seat. I called and again spoke with someone who I had a hard time understanding again and wasn't very helpful.

Their supervisor was busy and the CSR kept giving me the runaround until I told her the UPC # of the item I received on the day that their website said my car seat was delivered. She FINALLY understood what I had been telling her for 20 min. I told her I was done with this and would be returning the wrong item I received and the booster with missing parts to a local store and asking for my refund. Everything so far has been a hassle and waste of time with this purchase. Someone out there received my car seat and I got their shelf. Not sure what happened with the missing parts on booster but so disappointed that both items on the order were completely messed up. Should've ordered through Amazon, would've gotten both items in half the time and without an issue. The CSR emailed me a $10 gift card which isn't anything for all the mistakes Target made on my order. So upset.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I ordered a king size duvet cover. I received a full size. I called to see if they could ship out the size I ordered (king) and I would return the full size to my local store. They advised that I would not get the sale price that my original order was billed at. I asked why and they stated because that promotion was no longer active. I explained that this error was Target’s and they should honor the sale price. I was offered the full price plus a $10 gift card... still more than the sale price. Is this what you call customer service? Target makes the error, and I get stuck with paying more! Unbelievable!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I order one thing online and it was going to my daughter, I put my address down by mistake, I realize about one hour later and went to the site and there was no way to change the address, so I called and that is also a bad experience as you talk to people, speak bad English or hang up, never again, stick with Macy's, JC Penney, or Amazon.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I am extremely surprised of Target's lack of ability to support their customers. After two calls, 30 minutes, and two disconnections, I asked the third representative if they could call me back if we were disconnected. I was told no, and asked to speak to supervisor. After 30 minutes the supervisor answered all my questions. Unfortunately, the information she gave me could’ve been placed in an email and I would not have had to make three calls and waste an hour of my day.

Surprisingly, I spoke to Mary twice. However it wasn’t the same Mary. Are we just making up names? How do I get such good service from my credit card company and car insurance company and Target Is like a fly by night store? Extremely unprofessional! Did I mention they kept a portion of my $15 gift card when they canceled my order? If the order is truly canceled mark that on my order summary instead of having it say shipping soon. The only reason I have stars is because I got the answers to my questions.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I purchased these cute slides in a trendy blush color that seemed to match my summer handbag perfectly. Last month, I put them on to walk outside and right back in. I fell and broke two bones in my lower leg. After a special surgeon tending to my leg and I was back at home, I researched the reviews on the company's website for this particular shoe. Several reviewers, even in the three and four star categories, complained of poor materials and even slipping and tripping. While I'm not sure if any other complaints have been made directly to Target Corporate, I do know I received a letter from their insurer stating the manufacturer is responsible for the lack of traction in the shoes. I have asked the shoes be recalled through the retailer and manufacturer and my concerns were 'noted.' Please consider your safety before purchasing this shoe.

Target Stores Company Information