3.9/5 (396 ratings)

About 99 Cents Only Stores

99 Cents Only Stores Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 99 Cents Only Stores?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 99 Cents Only Stores?

Original review: May 10, 2022

Lupe from 99 Cents store in Newport rd didn't give me my full discount. My coupon was three dollars off of every 25bucks spent online app. So I told her I had my coupon to stop at 25, she kept in adding my stuff at thirty bucks. I told her I wanted to use coupon on app. She continues to do my groceries past fifty. Then I told her she was supposed to add it 25 then do again. She laughed and said she did know. I didn't like that she wasn't willing to fix her mistake. After all even six bucks is good because the store prices are way up to market price now.

Original review: March 17, 2022

I am a longtime customer of 99 Cents Only in Southern California. For years, I appreciated their genuinely lower prices. I was not perturbed when they offered more and more items at $2.99 or $3.99 that could not be realistically sold for 99 cents. But in the past few months, the chain has hosed their customers with STEEP, DRAMATIC price increases, copying Dollar Tree. It is I believe opportunistic and beyond their true cost increase resulting from supply chain, inflation, fuel prices, etc.

I was SHOCKED today when I saw mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, mouthwash, vinegars, etc. suddenly at $1.49. FORTY-NINE PERCENT increase. Also, many other items sharply up or container much downsized, even more devious! I am sharply curtailing my buying at this company's stores. They're just jumping on the inflation bandwagon, because they feel they can. The sheep won't notice, or won't protest. Yes, they will!! This outfit has totally lost its way and its identity.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

Just a few years ago, I used to visit two 99 Cents Only stores a couple of times per week to find bricks of Maxwell House for $1 each, 22 oz. of Oscar Mayer deli sliced meats for $1, 14 oz. Johnsonville Brats for $1, 18-count Yuban and Gevalia K-cups for $1, 12 oz. bags of McCafe and Gevalia for $1, Sutter Home sparkling wine for $3.99, 12-16 oz. of Oscar Mayer bacon for $1 and on and on.

I don't visit as often, anymore, but I thought I'd stop in yesterday to see HUGE price increases just in the past couple of months and new $1.29 and $1.49 price labels on many shelves and the only "meat" product still a buck are the Bar S hot dogs - available just about anywhere at that price or less. And the only sparkling wine I saw with New Year's coming was Andre for $5.99 per 750ml (although the bottles didn't even look THAT large). Maybe it's the supply chain causing 99 Cents Only to compete with Kroger and Randalls, but I'm done with 99, at least until Brandon is gone. It's now in the same category as Walmart - so-so prices and nothing ever on sale to distinguish from true grocery chains.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Letsgo, we welcome your feedback. If you would like to share your thoughts on these price increases, please contact Customer Service at: (888) LUCKY99 or (888) 582-5999 customerservice@99only.com.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

I purchased the cinnamon product on 10/21/21. After returning home the next day I twisted off cap the product was not sealed and appeared to be tampered or opened before my purchase. Maria advised me today 10/26/21 that I could not return because it’s passed the 9 day policy… Unfortunately I did not retain the receipt and was unable to present. The product is clearly labeled and there is similar canisters for sale today. I do believe the reckless disregard for items unsealed possibly tampered with being sold is a violation of all applicable laws. Why is the 99 cent store in Costa Mesa allowed to sell items unsealed then refuse to take them back in a timely manner??

99 Cents Only Stores response

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback Andy. We're sorry to hear that you're disappointed. Please call customer service at 888-582-5999 to make this right. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Not all ads have real price. Prices in store are different than on the ads. So why the do. Fake ads. Please be honest. I started showing people I know the truth and talk about it. To open people eyes.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi ABDEL, we're sorry to hear you're disappointed and take your comments seriously. Items may vary by location. All of our stores should be honoring any advertised prices. Please call customer service at 888-582-5999 to make this right.

Original review: June 19, 2021

My experience would have been great until a lady passed me while shopping with her dog sitting in the shopping basket where people sit items or children. I thought I went to the 99 Cent store, not Petsmart where I would expect to see pets... And one aisle away, the dog made a high pitch noise and started to bark. How can this be sanitary?

99 Cents Only Stores response

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. We take your comments seriously and are always looking for ways to improve. We will make sure to pass this on to the correct department for further review and hope that you'll give us another chance. Thank you!

Original review: May 18, 2021

I received a direct email from the company advertising cherries for 99 cents a pound. I get to the Venice store and they are 1.99 a pound. You didn’t need the email or join a club or app. Bait and Switch defined! They got you in the store with the direct marketed email and then when you get to the store it is a dollar a pound higher. Bait and Switch! I have pictures of the email and picture.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Scott, we're sorry to hear that the sale price was not honored. Thank you for sending us your phone number so we could reach out to you to make this right. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused and hope that you'll give us another chance. We're always looking for ways to improve.

Original review: March 11, 2021

Hi. I recently went to my local 99 Cents Only store because cause I was craving a bag of chips and was told you no longer sell any sort of chips or crackers.. I later found out water is also not available any longer.. Can you please tell us all why?

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Michell, we understand your concern and will share your feedback with our store’s leadership team. We have temporarily adjusted the product mix so we can continue serving the community during this pandemic and beyond.

Original review: March 5, 2021

99 Cents store is cheaper than the market, and mostly all other stores, the 99 cent stores now receive higher ticket items. That's why everything is not 99 cent, and the 99 cent store get new items every day, thanks for letting me share.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Thanks for the great feedback Derek. We're glad to hear that you appreciate our many great deals and hope to see you again soon!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

99 Cents Store Only should change their name to "Not really 99 Cents Anymore". Over the past few years this store has upcharged their prices and cost more than Wal-Mart on exact or dinar products. I use to shop at the 99 Cents Only store for their 99 cents prices on name brand items, but now I see those same items going for $2.99 & up, even though I had bought that item a while back for only .99 cents. What gives?! And like others have said they don't put a price sticker on most items so when you check out your bill will be doubled the amount. I have told the cashier never mind on items due to the false advertisement. Soon nothing will be 99 cents, I have watched countless items get a price increased so I no longer buy those items from them and find them cheaper at other stores, how ironic that the 99 center store only is actually more expensive than Wal-Mart...I've given most of my business to Dollar Tree since they (so far) are true to their name.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Morgan, we're sorry to hear that you're disappointed. We welcome your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve. If you would like to share your thoughts on these price increases, please contact Customer Service at: (888) LUCKY99 or (888) 582-5999 customerservice@99only.com.

99 Cents Only Stores Company Information