99 Cents Only Stores

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Katie of Irvine, CA on

I, like many people not happy about prices. I tried to buy some candy today which was clearly marked 99 at cash register. The girl ask me if is ok these items are 1.99. I said no because is marked clearly 99 in shelf. She apologizes and take them away. I am really mad. I want to take this company to court... 99 cent store means 99 cent not. 9999 not 1.99 not 2.99...

Danilo of Sacramento, CA on

I was shopping for toys at 99Cents Store located at College Oak Dr Sacramento CA. While my items were being run by the cashier, a man who acts like the supervisor stopped the transaction because he decided to put 9 pieces limit on the number of items I can buy. He claims as store policy but I did not see any notice or signs for the limit. He suggested that I return another day to buy more. Why should I waste gas and effort to buy items from the store?

Bob of Los Angeles, CA on

The 99 Cents Store is selling dog treats, made in PRC (People's Republic of China). Virtually everyone else, when identifying China as the mfg of their goods, puts "made in china" on the item, but Petkin, Inc, in Marina Del Rey, CA wants to hide where their product is made because so many dog products made in China have been tainted and killed many dogs in the US. To increase their deceptivity, they put "designed in USA! No attempted deception there. Shame on them, shame on 99 Cents Store for selling this stuff.

joy of Houston, TX on

We popped into the 99 cent store @ 4849 FM 1960 and had the misfortune to meet Eva (cashier). She had the most horrible attitude and it wasn't until I told her about it that she even acknowledge that we were standing there. First she snapped at me "IS THIS HERS?" Meaning the customer in line ahead of me. Why snap at me? The woman just shifted left to right and neither of us answered. Both shocked. I put the divider in place and tried not to get upset. Then it's my turn to pay. She starts speaking and I was replying "Hello..." She stops and looks at me crazy and I realize that she was speaking to her friend that was in line behind me. I quietly paid my tab and quickly left the store with no intentions to ever going back.

Victor of Santa Monica, CA on

The advertising and store name describes a store where ALL items are 99 cents. That is not the case, at least in Palm Desert, California. There are many items that are $2, $3, $4, and more. When I questioned this, the salesperson and manager said that there was a small paper/print sign on the door that said that some items can be more. All the while the huge storefront identifying sign says "99 Cents ONLY" and the employees wear a badge that says in large letters 99 Cents ONLY. This is very deceptive to the consumer who often will not check to see that they are actually charged much more than the 99 cents for an item. This practice is truly deceptive and obviously meant to defraud consumers. It reminds me of past "Bait and Switch" policies that were used by some retailers to get people into the store.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 99 Cents Only Stores?

GLORIA of Los Angeles, CA on

Incident occurred: 11/1/16 - 852 N. LaBrea Store 84. ** Mgr. said company was Security Safe Guard. Offender: **. I spoke with her immediate supervisor. He sounded like he couldn't care less. He gave me a number that he said was the company's **. Never got an answer. I was in the checkout line. I told the cashier that I wanted my glass bottles wrapped in paper. She said she had no paper. I said you have to have paper in a store. She turned to the cashier behind her. That cashier showed her the paper towels. I realized that she didn't understand English well. Then she proceeded to finish checking me out.

A security guard walks up to the checkout positions herself in front of my cart and told the cashier she would help her bag. The cashier told her no. Then the security guard turns to me and asks if there was anything she could do for me. I told her that she could move out of the way. Then she snapped and told me that I was very rude. I was a ** queen and that I was lucky that she had her uniform on. She made some comment about the police. I told her my brother was a cop. That is true.

She called me ball headed. I told her she had no edges. She bolted for the back of the store. I thought she'd left but she rush back in and told to kiss her ass. Patted her backside and called me a **. Then she stormed out of the store and into the parking lot. When she came back I asked her what did she go to get. She patted her butt and said her phone. I asked the cashier to call the manager. She called and a guy came to the checkout. He said his name was **. I asked him for the security guard's name and the name of the company. He went outside and came back with her name. The company's name is Security Safe Guard. He gave me ** number. He said he only knew **. See above.

I called the police department and spoke to a Officer **. Hollywood division. He that I needed to call 911, if it happened again. I can tell you that I am very reluctant to shop at your stores again. Clearly the security company doesn't do background or drug tests. This person is really insane. I am sure the store has video. This went on for several minutes. The other customers were shocked. None were more shocked that me.

Antonio of Tucson, AZ on

Let it be known I went to return some sandals this morning ready for check out. Customer in front of me not happy about paying for a refill on a deflated balloon. I agreed with the lady that I was talking to. With that being said the cashier (by the name of EVA decided to take it upon herself to refuse me from exchanging my 1.99 cent sandals for a bigger size saying I was a RUDE customer. I asked to see the manager as she said she was the manager. I asked to see her manager. She made it well known with all the customers around and in a loud voice saying "we have a RUDE customer over here."

This was just because of the fact I agreed with the lady in front of me about her complaint and she did not like it one bit and refused me to return my sandals for a bigger size with my receipt. I never once disrespected her in any way and far from being put on blast in front of customers saying I was RUDE causing a unnecessary embarrassing scene.

I am a retired US army Veteran and never been so embarrassed and disrespected in my whole life the way I was treated by EVA at this 99c location. Personally I think EVA should be fired! Professionally I think she need some serious re-training on customer relations that she poorly lacks if she is going to represent your impeccable corp. On a good note the other manager addressed my issue and was very professional about it and let me know he would talk to her about it. I got my return with no problem. This incident occurred at the Kolb / Golf Links location in Tucson AZ. I have been going to 99c stores for many years due to this unnecessary incident I regret to say I will no longer utilize your stores due to this unfortunate experience I encountered. Thanks for allowing me to express my concern.

Elisa Vanessa of Quezon City, Other on

I frequented this store when I was in Tracy, CA because almost everything is just 99 cents. I was surprised with the items that I found here because there was a variety of grocery items that are really just 99 cents like pasta, salsa, canned soup, sauces, chocolates, chips, condiments, biscuits, etc. You can also find kitchen tools, stationery supplies, toys, cleaning supplies and even pet treats. Yes - there are items that are not 99 cents but they are still priced fairly reasonable and still not expensive. If you are staying on a budget, this place should be on the top of your list to go to.

Louise of Las Vegas, NV on

NEVER have I (a 74-year-old woman) ever shoplifted or been accused of stealing but a rude, nasty woman who said her name was ** at a 99 Cents Store on 7470 West Lake Mead, Las Vegas NV accused me last night just as the store was about to close. My husband was waiting in line and I was in my wheelchair looking at a few items at the end of an aisle. ** approached me and said to pay for the reading glasses I was wearing that I had bought them years ago and worn them from home. I told her that I had the glasses for sometime and was an honest woman. Her response was that I should not come back to the store if I was not satisfied with the service. Not only did she falsely accuse me but insulted me as well.

Undoubtedly no one cannot be pleased with such an employee. She even boasted that she was a manager but we have never seen a store manager act in such a disgraceful manner. I should have removed my glasses and showed her that they were much cleaner than those handled and sold in any store. Please do what you must to prevent other shoppers from being treated badly. We intend to contact the newspaper and other media here about her outrageous behavior.

Dolores of Fresno, CA on

Don't use your credit card or they might charge you twice like they did to me. Now I'm trying to get my money back but I'm not having any luck. I'll never shop here again.

Sandy of Oxnard, CA on

Not sure why so many people are complaining. I mostly shop at Costco and I go the 99 Cent Only stores several times a year. I went today, and boy did I find great products. Everything I bought was 99.99 cents, only 2 items were $1.99 and $2.99 and they were clearly marked (one on the label which was at the bottom of the item. I bought a pack of 3 chandelier bulbs from Costco last week for $12. Today I bought 8 chandelier bulbs, 4 packs (2 in a pack) for $4.00. I bought a lipstick holder which has a small narrow mirror inside. For the last 10 years I was looking for this item which almost doesn't exist anymore. It would have been $8 to $10 in any store, here it's 99.99 cents. I could go on and on about the many newer and better products the 99 Cents Store carries. Do you really expect them to keep the 99 cent price for 99 years??? That's the name of the store and they don't want to change it - and they're right.

alita of Carmichael, CA on

I am a teacher and shopped on two occasions at 99 Cents store in folsom, ca for my classroom items. Looking at my receipt I noticed several items are $1.99??? I was frustrated. The sign says 99 Cents, that is very misleading. As I spoke to several co workers we no longer shop there. It is deceptive pricing.

Penny of Apache Junction, AZ on

I just got back from the store. I noticed on my receipt I was charged $2.99 each for cans of air freshener. Nowhere where the cans were located was a price. I thought they were .99 cents. If you are going to be more, change your name. You are not .99 cents ONLY.

Nancy of Duarte, CA on

I agree with many of these other reviews from this 99 cent store ONLY stores. It is completely false advertising, when not all items in the store are 99 cents and are 1.99, 2.99 or even more. If this store wants to change prices is fine. But they need to change the name of the store. Many people walk in thinking that everything is 99 cents as it says on their logo. Then when it comes down to pay they see that some items are sold for more money. This isn't right and I would like to create a lawsuit against these chain stores. I'm sure there's many people that would like to join in and that agree with me. They can't continue to get away with this false advertising!!!

Marlene of El Cajon, CA on

This store is called 99 only store. If you look at your receipt items are priced at 99.99 cents.. MAKING ITEMS $1. This is false advertisement all around! If items are NOT 99.99 cents, it's because it COSTS MORE! NOTHING IN THE STORE IS 99 cents!

Melissa of Laguna Niguel, CA on

I applied for 99 cents store. Had an interview. My last name is Hispanic from my husband. They asked me if I was Latina. No my husband is. The Hispanic manager looked away and said "oh I am white" and thought in my head why. He said he liked me and wanted to hire me. I went for second interview. Said they call me to let me know my hire date but has never called me for days. They said they call in 2 days. That's racism that they only want Hispanics. I think when they saw my application that my last name they said a Latina. When they found out I am white and they said never mind. That's racism and I only saw Hispanic employees.

Sanser of Victorville, CA on

I'm not sure how this is becoming to a legitimate business when you informed the public the nature of a business transaction as it advertise through media, billboards not to mention on the storefront stated everything is 99 cents, and when I got to the checkout stand I was confused because some of the items were not 99 cents. They were 1.99, 2.99 milk, some items were 3.99. This is not even one of the 99 cents plus store. This is one of the 99 cents only store chain here in Victorville, California on 7th Street. Can they run business like that. It's been on for five years now. Why don't they change their sign, business logos and ads so we would be more of understanding how they run their business. All I know 99 cents nothing less, nothing more but 99 cents only. I see that as a fraud.

Trinh of Walnut, CA on

The sign says 99 cents ONLY. Shouldn't everything be 99 cents. They are selling a lot of items for $1.49 - $1.99. I feel this is false advertisement. They should take the sign down because it's no longer 99 cents only store. It's more like a 99 cents PLUS store. I don't understand how they are getting away with this. It's like saying the Dollar Tree store is not selling everything for a dollar.

Stefanie of Lake Elsinore, CA on

Highly aggravating. I was hired Seasonal in 2008 by the manager. Years later I go to reapply for a job at another store. The manager looks at my app and hires me P/T (I stated my previous employment on my app) and tells me she'll call me for orientation. 3 days later she calls and me and tells me she can't hire me after all because the company has a NO RE-HIRE policy. I call corporate 4 times and no one calls me back. I really needed the job for my family. Every store I go into is 99% Hispanic employed and that is clear RACISM!!! Where are the black, white, Asian, Indian employees?! You have nothing but Hispanic managers hiring Hispanic employees who don't speak English. This company is out and openly racist!!!

Kimberly of Rowland Heights, CA on

I applied to the 99 Cents Only Store in Rowland Heights, CA, they called me in for a interview on a Wednesday. That Saturday a Manager called me and told me to go to the Via Campo 99 Cent Store in Montebello for orientation at 10:30 am that Monday. I arrive to my "orientation" to find out that I am actually at a 2nd interview with the District Manager. There were a total of 15 applicants, 14 of them were hispanic and I was the only White one. Everyone was hired and given a schedule, I was told that the manager would be giving me a call that same day or the next morning to let me know what day I am starting. No phone call.

So the next morning I decided to call and see what was going on and the manager told me I was Denied because I wasn't qualified for the job. My resume clearly shows I am over qualified, if anything, WHICH TO ME IS BOGUS. So then I start to get angry and ask questions, I really need and want this job. They then stated over the phone that because my last 2 jobs were seasonal that that was a problem "but yet 99 Cent Only is hiring me for a seasonal position also". So now none of this is making sense. So then he tells me maybe it is because of your pink hair, I said "excuse me but my hair is natural in color (strawberry blonde). At that point I was furious, I asked for corporate's number, I feel I was treated very unfair. It was clear he was only hiring his kind, Hispanics. THERE IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH THE DISTRICT MANAGER **. The company needs to look into this.

Debbie of Panorama City, CA on

The name of the store is 99 Cents ONLY! And yet they are selling lots of stuff for over 99 cents. This should be illegal! How are they getting away with this for so long now? They put stuff under 99 cents and try and charge you more and then say, "Oh the sign must have fallen down - someone must have removed it, or the staff forgot to put it up." That is not right.

Amanda of Hemet, CA on

My name is Amanda **. I am 6 months pregnant and fell in one of your stores today around 3:30. (St. 108 Hemet) The associates treated me VERY poorly and one associate that watched me fall simply turned his back to me. It seems the only persons to be concerned were other customers. The associate wouldn't even come over to see if I was okay until another shopper threatened with police. When he came over, we explained that the floor was wet and the associate denied it even though it clearly was wet. We insisted on seeing a manager to file a report. The manager nonchalantly listened to my concerns without even an apology. Once pressing for a report to be made, he asked if I'd like to file one. I asked him to wait one moment while I placed all the items I dropped in my cart which was a couple aisles away. When I returned, he wasn't there.

I took the liberty to walk in the back room where he was to file a report. He asked my name, address and if I needed an ambulance. I told him I didn't think an ambulance was needed, but I did hurt myself. My left shoulder and back hurts from trying to catch my fall. My right hip and buttocks as well as my ankles. He did not let me see the report and refused to give me a copy. I did not receive any other information other than I would be contacted by someone from Corporate within the next day. Several customers came up to me afterwards and told me the associate was denying that the floor was wet or even that I fell! I'm sure video footage from your security cameras will beg to differ.

I tried snapping shots of the filthy floor but they had managed to dry it before I came back from filing the report. I managed to get one non relative witness’s name and phone number. Roger was his name and I plan on giving his information to the D.A.'s office on Monday if this is not properly handled, as I have no faith in the store manager to resolve this. I could not believe this treatment and was very upset during my experience with your employees.

jackie of Oxnard, CA on

I'm on a tight budget so yeah I shop at the 99 Store. I put up with the dirty store and rude employees but when they decided to charge more than what they became known for, it wasn't worth it to me. The Dollar Tree carries the same stuff, maybe even better. The stores are clean and the employees are kind. 99 ha! I won't shop there again because I don't have to!

Tina of Lake Elsinore, CA on

My Credit Union I bank with contacted me to inform me that someone from the 99 Cents Store at 5924 Stockton Blvd Sacramento CA And the 99 Cents Store # 2 Sacramento CA has been using my Visa numbers to purchase everything out of those two stores since 2011 and I have all the statements to show and prove that this has happened to me and will be filing a police report to take further action against the 99 Cents Store... My losses are in the thousands of dollars. And to make matters worse it happened to my young son with his Visa. Same Credit Union a few weeks ago at the same 99 Cents Store in Sacramento. Have statements to prove that also.

We live in Lake Elsinore California which is thousands a miles away from Sacramento. I want this Investigated to the highest level and prosecute who has been doing this for so many years to me. Please investigate the employees of the 99 Cents Store because I have not been in Sacramento or ever shopped at the 99 Cents Store there. Only the local 99 Cents Stores in my area I have been to and I have proof and bank statements to show this. If this has happened to me there is other victims. My family will never shop the 99 Cents Store ever again!

Anthony of Commerce , CA on

While at a 99 Cents Only Stores I only came across great products especially in a time where you cannot buy a box of cereal for a dollar and a gallon of milk for 2.99 or even better a dozen eggs for 99 cents. I would easily spend 15 bucks elsewhere, when at the 99 I only spent 5 dollars. I've read other reviews and some people obviously don't know the value of a dollar or still live with mommy and daddy and get allowance.

Donald of Lancaster, CA on

First of all we have been shopping at 99 Cents only stores for years on a regular basis, and rarely had any real issues.... until this year. Most issues we have seen are minor in my opinion, and I chalk most up to growing pains. Obviously they have made a lot of changes in pricing recently, which for the most part is not an issue. However some of the new pricing doesn't seem to be calculated well at all. But the way I see it, I can always buy elsewhere if I don't agree with the new pricing structure. What I can't tolerate is the rude, inexperienced, inconsiderate, nasty employees. Because of issues we have had with some of the employees, we do not shop at here as much as we use to.

We stopped by Palmdale, CA store #109 and am very unhappy with the attitude of the employee/store manager. She claimed she was the manager anyway. The receipt printed the name Elizabeth. We purchased several items, including several Juicy Juice 100% juice 64 oz. When Elizabeth rang the juice up she included CRV. When I tried to explain to her that there is not supposed to be CRV charged on 100% juice 64 oz. containers, she informed me that all juice is charged CRV. When I tried to explain to her again that is was incorrect, she told me "Look, I have worked in retail for 4 years and I know CRV is always charged on any juice". Again I told her this was incorrect. She then said, "If is is in a plastic container, then CRV is charged". I'm sorry but she is 100% INCORRECT. California Beverage Container Recycling and Litter Reduction Act states that 100 percent fruit juice in containers 46 oz. or greater not to be charged.

The fact that a CRV was being charged is not what upset me. What upset me was Elizabeth's attitude and rude, snide, nasty remarks. Now that they have changed your pricing strategy we always check prices before grabbing an item. Today we also grabbed 3 tubes of toothpaste that clearly had the price of 99 cents posted all over with NO indication of it being any other price, however when we checked out it rang up as $1.99. This is just one example of the erroneous pricing that we have seen, and always causes problems at checkout, not just for us, but we see this with other customers as well. It is getting OLD! And in fact I think CA has a law regarding this. Just because they "think" their prices are "cheap" doesn't mean they can treat their customers this way and get away with it.

NOTE: That Elizabeth told me if I had a problem she wasn't going to do anything and I could take it up with corporate. So I contacted 99 Cents only corporate and no one ever replied back. Just goes to show it's not just the employees that work in their stores.

Cathi of Scottsdale, AZ on

I usually shop at the 99 Cents store #164, Scottsdale - Thomas. On July 19th I went to the refrigerator to get some creamer, and OMG what a filthy place! I don't think that it has been cleaned since it has opened. The health department needs to be called on this, and I will get in touch with them. This is a very run down store and does need lots of work done on it. Please do something about this. I don't think that I will be going back to that store. Also, the management running the store should be well aware of this, if they indeed the time to check this out! Also why do they charge prices of $1.99, or $2.99 if this is a dollar store. The outside store signs don't indicate this.

Judy Vallade of Surprise, AZ on

I go far out of my way to shop at 99c Only Store, love the selection. Last week I got home and saw several items at $1.99... While at the checkout I asked the cashier, since this is the 99c Only Store, is this 99c?? No, do you want it?? Reporting to consumer reporter at 3TV.

Laura of Escalon, CA on

This company is no longer a 99cent only store. For at least 6 months or longer and still have not changed their signs, the word "only" says it all, and is the reason all shoppers go in there. When I asked the clerk about it, she got defensive and said they didn't have to change the sign. Also, I would like to report rotten fruit and vegetables and a lot of outdated foods and juice being sold there. I thought the only food product that was allowed to be sold "outdated" was cheese? When did the laws change regarding selling spoiled and outdated food? This location needs a walk-through.

Mary of Indio, CA on

I don't like that says 99 Cents store, they should change it. Is not 99 Cents anymore. They sell stuff even more expensive. For me Dollar Tree is better. They have everything for a dollar.

99 Cents Only Stores Company Profile