1.53/5
Based on 125 reviews that contain star ratings

131 99 Cents Only Stores Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 9, 2019

The other day I walked into a 99 Cents Only store in CA to get a small bottle of juice. The price tag read .99 cents, but at the cash register the display showed: Is it OK $1.00 for the item? Of course, I pushed OK button. 1 cent is no big deal, but I just want to understand why it is that way. If it's a normal thing for the company to cheat on customers like that, then remove the word ONLY from the name. PS: BTW, there is no food tax in CA.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi John, in 2008, the company added a charge of .99 cents (99/100)of once cent) to the base unit price for most merchandise. As a result, currently, the most common price point for items in our stores is 99.99 cents. In almost all instances, this price will round up to one dollar at the register. The overall impact of this pricing change was to increase prices for our merchandise by one penny.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 4, 2019

I entered the store and was asked to remove my backpack by the cashier. I selected the items I had originally went for and checked out. When I went to retrieve my backpack I was told someone had taken off with it. I have tried on multiple occasions to get compensated for my belongings and now can't get a consumer specialist to return any of my phone calls. I'm livid!

99 Cents Only Stores response

Oh no Jessica! Please call customer service to make this right.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Ok, So I have been fuming about this for a few weeks now. Let me start at the beginning. I used to be a loyal 99 Cents store shopper. Over the past few years I have noticed that they started bringing stuff into the store that did not look like they could be 99 cents nor was it when I got to the register. This was before they were clearly marked. I started shopping less and less when more and more items were not clearly marked and I would get to the register and find out that the price was double what I was expecting (not a good deal when the same bowl at the Dollar Tree is 1.00).

I rarely will go into the 99 Cents store due to the number of time this has happened to me. Well, the last straw was... My daughter needed something for school and we happened to be right next to the 99 Cents Only store. I figured what could it hurt. 1 item, .99 cents, I can do this. We get into the store and right inside on my right, I get wowed by the 2 big 5' tall 6' wide carts of plants they have (good marketing). One was directly in front of the other packed together tight so to get to the plants in the back you had to reach through. I looked for the sign and clearly marked was "99 Cents Only"! I think, great, I need some plants for my planters, so I get a cart, comment on the great price and how healthy they look to the gal closest to me at her register and she smiles.

I grab 24 of these little cuties, place them all nice in the cart (spending about 10 minutes doing this). We then grab the notebook that we came in for. The lines are very long (only two registers are open and each person has about 10 people in line). So We Wait... Finally getting to the register unloading all the plants because you have to ring each one up individually (never understood why I need to do this if they are all the same and you can clearly count them), but nonetheless, do so. She rings them up and as I am putting my credit card in she says that will be $53 dollars and some odd cents. I look up puzzled and said there must be some mistake. I didn't by 48 I only bought 24. She said, no they are $1.99.99 cents each. I said, uh.. No they're not!

I walk over to the sign which clearly reads plants 99 cents only. She walks over to the cart and she looks all around and says, "Well they're 1.99." I again point at the sign and say a little louder, "Uh, it says .99 cents." She looks on all three visible sides and the back and it has no tag other than .99 cents. She looks confused and isn't sure what to do but says they are $1.99. I just stand there and say uhhhh. She then looks again and starts rolling the carts around (they are on wheels) and moves one cart from in front of the other, now partially blocking the walkway into and out of the store. She keeps looking for any sign of a tag. After she completely pulls the carts apart she finds a small tag that was on the cart in the back handwritten that says (flowers 1.99). The other one on the other cart read (plants .99 cents.) There were flowers and plants on both of the carts mixed together.

Now I ask you; Is it my job to move a 6 foot cart around blocking the entry/exit of the store to see if there is a tag on another cart that is clearly tucked tight in behind the other. There was NO way to see that sign unless the cart in front is moved out of the way. I said, "Are you kidding me! The sign said 99 cents that was in the front." She said, "Well they are not." I just stand there. She asks the manager to come up and talk to me. The line is getting nothing by longer, we have wasted at least 3 to 4 minutes discussing this out of line by the cart and when the manager comes up she asked what the issue was and the gal said, "This lady thinks these plants should be .99 cents."

The manager walks over to the carts which are completely moved from where they were and still partially blocking the entry/exit and says "what's the confusion?" The price says right here and points to it "flowers $1.99" and this says "plants .99 cents" right here on this cart. I said, "Well, the carts weren't this way a couple of minutes ago and you couldn't see the sign because this cart was in front of the other". She said, "Well, we found the price. Do you want them for $1.99 or not?" I said "The other issue is flowers are plants!!!" So how was I to know when I saw the only sign that said plants .99 cents that they would not include the flowers. So, "NO I do not want the plants".

I go back to the line and apologize to everyone in line for making them wait. I take all the plants off the conveyor that she had them on and have my daughter go put them back. I am pretty grumbly at this point and apologize to the cashier that I am not trying to be mean to her but it was clearly mismarked and that I hate this happening every time I come in. She said thanks, and that she hates getting yelled at all the time by people who buy something expecting it to be cheaper than it is. She says people are always leaving mad! I left empty handed. I WILL NOT BE BACK! So done with this store. CHANGE YOUR SIGN! It is very misleading and I do NOT understand how you are not sued for false advertising.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Holly, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Me and my family have been loyal customers to 99 Cents stores for over 7 years but I've been really disappointed lately because nothing is 99 cents anymore. Everything is $2.99 and over. Even cheap toothbrushes are like 3.99. I'm so disappointed, I liked the 99 Cents store because it was really affordable but it really isn't anymore ☹️. I hope someday they remove their "Amazing Value" prices and go back to being 99 cents only, if they wanna keep their customers???

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Pumpkin, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Hello everyone. I have been a loyal customer of the 99 Cents Only Stores for many years. The pricing has evolved tremendously over the years. For example, I began to see a dozen eggs that were usually 99 cents, be broken in half (6 eggs), for the $1. Now a dozen eggs are over $2 dollars now. And let’s put this out there, nothing there is 99 cents, everything is rounded up to a dollar. So, there is definitively a reason for a business name change, because nothing is 99 cents anymore. That is false advertisement, and the 99 Cents Only store, is long over due for a business name change, that accurately reflects its pricing to the public. They are no longer a 99 Cents Only Store, and should not be advertising to the public that they are.

On a recent outing to a 99 Cent Store located at 11049 W. Pico Blvd., in Los Angeles, l had an unpleasant appearance. I purchased nearly $150 dollars in groceries. Within that purchase, l had two baskets of strawberries, that have always been a $1 for as long as l can remember. Upon examining my receipt in the car, l noticed that the strawberries are now a whopping $2 per basket. A 100 percent mark up in one swoop. There were no prices stating that on the package, and the price was not posted to reflect that 100 percent price increase.

That same day, l decided, to exchange them for different fruit. To my surprise, the woman who identified herself as the store manager, named **, states that l could not exchange fruit, because it is perishable. So l said to her, "Well l don’t see that policy posted anywhere in your store, nowhere in the produce department, nor is it anywhere on the receipt or the fruit packaging. Therefore, how are customers supposed to know your policy?" She refused to exchange the items, and turned her back to me, and made smart remarks to me, and she was extremely rude. So l said to her, "If that is your policy, by law, and just out of basic respect for your customers, you should have that policy clearly posted." Her response is, "We don’t have to do that, and we are not exchanging your fruit."

So l went to my car, and called customer service. Something l never do, but the manager was just so rude, l had to call. I explained to customer service about what happened. I was asked if l was still at the store location, and l said, "Yes." I was on the phone for awhile, and customer service contacted the store, and l am sure the store manager **. When she came back to the phone, she states that the store manager said that l returned the strawberries to her open. Blatant lie. Not only was she out of line on the non posting of store policy regarding exchanges, she is a liar, and she lied regarding what she did to a customer. I told customer service, their employee/manager was a liar. And instead of instructing the manager to exchange the items, customer service condoned her poor behavior and said they would send me two 99 Cent Store coupons, that l will probably never see.

She needs to be relieved of her position as a store manager. She obviously does not know what she is doing, has no knowledge of store policy laws in place to protect the public, she was rude, and she is liar. ** needs to go elsewhere to work. She is not manager material, or public relations experienced whatsoever. I have no reason to return two baskets of strawberries opened, after just purchasing nearly a $150 dollars in groceries. Absolutely ridiculous. Had l not been in a rush, l would have returned everything to Miss **. Not to mention, the store is predominantly Hispanic, most not able to understand or speak English very well. So on top of them being rude, there is this communication barrier to deal with. And sometimes, that’s a problem.

I don’t see a balance in the hiring of employees. There should be all types of employees working there, not just one ethnic group. It’s a touchy subject for some, but l speak the truth about what l see. And there needs to be more balance in that store. All ethnic groups deserve opportunities, not just one. Anyone who visits this store, will notice why l have concerns. I think l saw an Asian cashier once, and an ** security officer once, but haven’t seen her recently. This needs to be addressed. The public wants a healthy balance of qualified employees, and we want to see other qualified employees given employment opportunities, not just Hispanic employees. That isn’t fair, and the company is sending a very negative, and racist message to the public. I only go to this store, because it is convenient.

Overall, the 99 Cents Only Stores have many issues that they need to address, before they lose even more trust from their loyal customers. You are being dishonest about pricing, or deceptive at least, and it’s a terrible reflection of who you are as a company. Listen to your public, before things escalate unnecessarily. Clearly post store policies, train your employees on how to properly handle the customers, and open your eyes to what is happening here. You are losing customers. The district manager should be on top, of all of these issues, like yesterday. I am beyond shocked, that these issues persist. Hopefully things improve, or l will start shopping Dollar Tree more, and other discount stores as well. The alleged 99 Cents Only Store, that really isn’t a 99 Cent Only Store, is quickly losing me as a customers, as well as the hundreds of dollars that l spend there every month.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Renay, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 99 Cents Only Stores?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I am very happy with our 99 Cents Only on Springs Road in Vallejo. When something is more than 99 cents it is clearly marked. And I have learned if a company sends them something they want the public to test, buy a lot because they will be gone quickly. My complaint is in the wine section. There was a wine that had been $2.99 for quite a while. It was marked at $2.99. When I got to the cashier it came up $3.99. Next time I went back it was still marked $2.99 but I wasn't buying. They need to do a better job of having accurate prices displayed on items with no price sticker.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Fred, thanks for the feedback. We take your comments seriously and are working on labeling these items better for you. We hope to see you soon!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

There are so many stickers of $1.99, $2.99 and up it is a disgrace that from a one penny increase has morphed to 100 or more percent increase on a majority of items in the two stores I visit (Tempe and Scottsdale). Furthermore, there are items unmarked in refrigerated or frozen food section. I ended up paying $1.99 for some frozen meal that was not even worth 99 cents! (Tempe, AZ Southern and Rural Rd). The bread and other items have gone up in cases over 400 percent and not worth the price for stale or soon to be stale bread, pastry, donuts, bagels, All bread products from High end bakeries! And the Government says inflation is low. Well the Government should take a hard look at 99 Cents Only Stores in the past two years, 100-400 percent inflation!!!

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Gilbert, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

99 Cents Only Stores have been the only dollar stores I've patronized for years. I have shopped in several locations here in Phoenix and the surrounding area and I have never been disappointed. I wonder if those who complain about the stores have compared them to other 'dollar stores' because that is where 'the proof of the pudding' is! If something is priced higher than 99 cents, there is a reason for it, and you can choose to purchase it ~ or not! The only signs I have seen are the ones that say if there is not a different price on it, then it IS 99 cents, and I have never been charged more 'because we ran out of stickers' or for any other reason. I have also never found any of my purchases to be of lesser quality. Some people are not satisfied with a 'good deal' and they want it to be 'an even BETTER deal!' Life is too short; be happy with the 'good deals'!

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Lynne, thanks for the review! We're so glad that you love our store as much as we do. Come see us again soon!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I purchased Christmas items at the Chino Ca store on Central & wanted to exchange/return with receipt at Ontario Ca store #376. After waiting approximately 30 mins for a manager I was told couldn't return or exchange seasonal items & couldn't get cash back with receipt. Problem is there's no signage posted about seasonal items policy & lack of refund policy is posted on receipt only after you purchase the items. The manager conveniently pointed out sign next to register which is hard to see! After much discussion the manager gave me $20 cash & $15 on a gift card as a compromise after my exchange with other items. As a 20 year business owner, I suggest making policies visible for customers to see! I only received what I did because nothing was posted!

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Wanda, sorry you were let down. We take your comments seriously and are now working on making your next visit much better.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I’ve been shopping at these stores for years. It was the talk of the town and even in the news for its bargains way back. Long gone are the insane random bargains of yesteryear and now the products are generally low grade and compete with retail stores. I use to walk in expecting something special every so often. Now those special items rank in with not so special prices and look like reject products. Also now more and more the staple items I go there for are doubling in price even this week the bread and bagels doubled.

I’ve been shopping more at Dollar Tree, Kroger and Walmart since they generally offer at least the same and often higher quality products, at the same or better prices. I’m watching this chain fade completely out of my life. I get it. The CEO has to show profit. The model which set this store apart is all but gone. Please do us all a favor and change your name. You may have legally justified yourselves but you aren’t fooling your customers. We will treat you with the same respect you treat us.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi B., we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I was just at store #207 at Glendale, AZ and I found some items without pricing or sign scanning for more than .99. I informed them of the issue and “store manager”- Jenny as she represented herself- refused to honor the price and her excuse was that she ran out of stickers. She said that even though items are priced higher and unlabeled they do not follow the policy of pricing everything .99 unless labeled differently. This is absolutely false advertising and the company’s management is very disappointing and poorly trained in customer service. I hope they fix this as I will be letting my family and friends know of their deceiving marketing tactics. Also, the 888-phone provided is useless as nobody answers or bothers to call you back. Sad this used to be my favorite store. Disappointing experience and appalled at managers lack of professionalism.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Enedina, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I'm through with 99 Cents Only Stores for one simple reason: it's not 99¢ only anymore - although they still advertise that they are. When I went in the last few times, I found many higher priced items - some marked, others less prominently marked. In any event, I've had issues with 99¢ only when they changed their prices to 99.99¢. I'm not a fan of false advertising. Especially false advertising that is allowed to get away scot-free. From now on, there's a 'DOLLAR STORE' right next to it where I'll be spending my bucks.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Lee, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

There are so many things WELL above 99 cents now and I think they should be sued for false advertisement. There are signs painted everywhere saying “99 cents only”. THAT IS A LIE. What a scam! I am shocked that there is no lawsuit that has taken them out yet.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Courtney, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I attended the District Manager meeting in September of 2018. A very valid question was raised and that question was "If an item is not marked with a yellow sticker and rings up as more than 99 cents, the store will honor the 99 cent price. I looked at the salad packs and it stated that the Caesar Salad was $1.99 but there was not a sticker on the Asian and Mexican Salad Kits. I took pictures for proof and I went to pay for them and I asked that they scan the salad. It rang up for $1.99. I explained what we had discussed at the meeting, they called the "acting manager." Her logic... well there is a sign stating that the Cesar Salad is $1.99... so that answers everything... no it doesn't.

I patronize that store daily and on my IG, YouTube Channel, and Facebook group with over 22,000 people, I have recommended this store. I will no longer recommend this store to anyone..unless they want to deal with rude and condescending employees, who speak to you as though you are trash for shopping there. The lack of customer service is absolutely an atrocity. The older woman with short hair and glasses (not Jane ) laughed in my face and said "So?" and the acting manager yelled at me as I left after I told her that I was going to make a complaint. Today was a shining example of their lack of customer service.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Crystal, so sorry you had a bad experience with us! We appreciate your feedback and are committed to great value and customer service. Please call us at (888) 582-5999 to make this right.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I had been shopping at the 99 Cents Only Stores for a very long time but the prices keep going up. It is getting harder and harder to find anything for 99 cents at the store. I think the store is in violation of laws by claiming they're 99 cents ONLY. I think there should be a lawsuit brought against this company. If they’re not 99 cents ONLY THEY NEED TO CHANGE THEIR NAME. Time to start giving my business back to the honest DOLLAR TREE.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Lori, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I shopped at the 99 Cents store in Barstow, CA. I needed some assistance. Fortunately for me Ms. La Wanda ** was more than willing to assist. Ms. ** provided me with excellent customer. Her knowledge of the store and friendly attitude was such a refreshing experience. It is employees like La Wanda ** that keep a customer coming back again and again to the 99 Cents store. If there are ever openings for a store manager... Ms. ** IS IT!!!

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Carole, thanks for taking the time to tell us we are doing a great job. We value your feedback and your loyalty! See you soon.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I went to my local 99 Cents Only store that I always go to. I was looking around at their “fresh produce”. There was many rotten fruits. I talked to the closing manager Shannon or Sharon. I’m not 100% sure. She said there isn’t anyone for produce so she will get around to it later. I went back to try to find some good fruit but found nothing but rotten veggies and fruit. I went to the front and had them call her back up. I told her the situation and it needs to get addressed immediately. It’s a health risk. She began to tell me that she is very busy and will have the produce guy do it whenever he comes back to work. I told her just have one of the other workers go back there really quickly and just put the rotten food of to the side. She then had the nerve to tell me I’m more than welcome to do it myself and continuously rolled her eyes at me the whole time.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Devony, so sorry you had a bad experience with us! We appreciate your feedback and are committed to great value and customer service. Please call us at (888) 582-5999 to make this right.

Original review: May 16, 2018

The 99 Cents Only Stores should be investigated as a public health risk. I am offering this documentation in the hope it will help bring enforcement and lawsuits to the company. This company is starting to cross a very serious red line into what might be considered illegal. The 99 Cents chain stores are offering "Fresh Produce". I am using this term with total skepticism. The produce there is rarely fresh and apparently the company believes perishable produce is to be handled in the same manner as merchandise.

Between February and March of this year I was shopping in Store #54 Glendale at Sonora and San Fernando Road. The produce was routinely spoiled so that I often could not buy what I wanted. When I say "spoiled" I mean to the point of food garbage. Dumpster produce right on the store shelf. The oranges and tomatoes had thick mold. The potatoes had bacterial infections and stunk. In mid March I was sick of it. I confronted the Manager of the store "Pablo". I told him directly his potatoes were all spoiled and to just remove them all fix whatever problem was causing this. He simply dismissed my complaint and told me it is not his problem. He did not remove the spoiled produce.

Then I started watching and analyzing the produce on a daily basis and I was there when they rotated the stock in the morning. To my surprise the new potato stock already had spoilage. In other words, the produce was spoiled right off the truck! What this means is the 99 Cents Only Stores has beforehand knowledge of illegal and risky conditions that could cause food poisoning or simply just rip off the customer of fair quality and they distribute the produce anyway. Around this time I started making calls to the Health Department.

Apparently the warehouse or storage area for produce before distribution is not following protocol for food safety. They are getting cross contamination somewhere. AND THEY DON'T CARE. The stores are also not maintaining any vigilance to remove spoilage before it spreads and they pile produce together in large bins. This of course spreads infections rapidly. The store produce displays are too tight and too warm. I some cases part of the produce is sitting in direct sunlight. Early this month, I had enough. The customer service at Store #54 was atrocious and I found maggots in the bags of potatoes. I photographed the maggots and wrote emails to the main office in Commerce to the customer service department.

What happened? The two representatives Jessica and Julia just backstabbed me. They took my complaint I made in confidence and sent all my information right back to the manager I was complaining about. A few days later I walked into the store to shop and this ** "Pablo" began stalking and intimidating me in the store. He followed me around and fabricated false accusations that he would use to put a "trespassing order" on me. The next day I went back there and the same happened with the second manager "Fidel". Now it's over a week later after my official written complaint and they still have spoiled produce in the store! I am writing one negative review after another on Yelp, Google Maps, etc... And then I email them to announce my review and they still won't fix anything.

Well there you have it. This is a sick company that does not care about customers (and bully customers). The produce is foul, the customer service is horrible, and the name "99 Cents Only" is a price scam. What can you do about it? Take photos of the disgusting produce and post online. Write bad reviews. Become a nuisance to the store until they improve the conditions. Maybe together we can threaten their reputation and license. Remember: Think 99. Think food garbage. Think price scam. Think bad service.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi David, We’re sorry to hear this.  We work hard to bring you fresh products at an unbeatable price.  Please contact our customer service department at (888) 582-5999 so that we can make this right. Thank you for informing us.

Original review: March 28, 2018

WHEN YOUR GOVERNMENT DOES NOT PROTECT THE CONSUMER! They should not be allowed to keep their name, simple items that use to cost .99, now cost double! A lot of seniors are stumped by this inflation and are forced to look for sales elsewhere because the 99 Cents Only Store is no longer a discount. It was worth getting a random piece of spoiled fruit in your bag when it was a discount, however, why would you pay full price for damaged or soon to expire goods? The 99 Cents Only Store overstepped its boundaries, forcing consumers to look for sales at regular retailers. The service is poor, the lines are long, now consumers are not willing to spend as much and many have just been turned off by their sneaky way of increasing prices meanwhile insinuating (by name) they offer the same service of a 99 Cents Only Store, and they do not! This definitely a case of FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi HARRY, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: March 6, 2018

You have to be very careful with the products and prices. After you pay for your items and in case they are not .99c they will not give you your money back. Cashier took me to another register and told her she wants her money back. First she ignored me for few minutes and start taking care of the customers, finally I complained and asked her to process my refund, then she turned to me and said, "Do you want to shop because I can't give you your money back." I said, "No I do not want to make any purchase. I want my money back," she kept arguing with me for few minutes. Finally I asked her to call the manager because I do not see any sign saying to refunds anywhere in the store. She was upset with me telling me, "Next time open your eyes and be smart when you shop."

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Juliet, so sorry you had a bad experience with us! We appreciate your feedback and are committed to great value and customer service. Please call us at (888) 582-5999 to make this right.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I am very disappointed that the 99 Cents Only Store is getting away with selling items for more than what the name of the store is. I believe that it is fraudulent when the name is 99 cent only, but are allowed to sell items for $1.99 - $10.99. It is false advertising! I enjoy shopping there but will not ever pay more than $.99 +tax items. And I think that if other consumers would do the same, they might go back to selling just 99 cent items.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Sandra, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Fantastic bargains can't be beat with produce (fruits, vegetables, frozen and dairy). I love this place. The staff is always friendly and the place a joy to walk through. Thank you 99 Cents Only for showing the world we can have food at an affordable price.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi M., thanks for the review! Glad your experience was a positive one. We work hard at keeping it that way. Don't forget to share with family and friends! Thank you for shopping at the 99 Cents Only Stores! See you soon.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I have shopped at 99 Cents Only Stores for about 15 years. I used to shop at Dollar store but found the lines long and stores messy. 99 Cents has now a variety of items such as produce, dairy, health drinks, cards, school supplies, spices, etc. I shop in Clovis, CA and Fresno, CA at the Bullard store. The stores are clean, fully stocked and the employees fast and friendly. Any items sold for more than 99 Cents are marked with stickers and signage.

99 Cents Only Stores response

We love happy customers Eileen. Hope to see you soon! Click here to sign up for our monthly specials: http://bit.ly/2sLcyie

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I purchased two packages of underwear at the Valencia, CA store for 2.99 each not realizing they were boy shorts, not briefs. When I tried to return them (not even return them, I was going to exchange for other merchandise), I was told it was past the 9-day policy and I couldn't exchange them. NINE DAYS! That is a ridiculous policy! The packages weren't even opened. I have been a regular customer for decades, and I'm extremely upset. I have a VERY limited income of $800 per month and the $7 I spent on these is now lost because I cannot use them. Keep in mind also that I've returned items well outside this 9-day policy and never had a problem before. I will not be shopping at the Valencia store again.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Eileen, so sorry you had a bad experience with us! We appreciate your feedback and are committed to great value and customer service. Please call us at (888) 582-5999 to make this right.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I went to the .99 cent store to do shopping for a few items for work and myself. The final cost of my purchases as much higher than I expected. When I returned to work I looked at my receipt more closely and realized I had been charged 4.99 each for pillows and 3.99 each for cat food. When I walk into the 99 cent ONLY store, I expect everything to cost 99 cents or less. This is false advertising!

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Sharon, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I have been shopping at the store on Marks street for years. Today I was treated by the manager like I was an idiot. I was at the store when it opened today and went by the cooler section and grabbed a few of the Kraft packs of the sliced cheese. At that time there was no sign stating there was a limit. So I continued with my shopping and when I got to the register I heard the cashier tell the customer in front of me that there was a limit on the cheese. Both of us told her that there was no sign so she said that the manager came and told her that he placed a limit sign up but this was after we had the items in the cart. So the manager told her it was okay for the customer in front of me to have the 4 packs.

I then asked the manager when did he place the sign up and I told him it was not up when he opened the store and he looked at me and said "Are you sure you did not see a sign?" like I am an idiot, REALLY! I told the cashier that I wanted the 4 packs like he gave the other customer and she said she would need to get an approval from the manager. On a previous visit, I was in the back by bread section which was empty and there was another regular customer speaking to one of the employees asking her if they were going to place any bread out. The employee told her that the manager did not want to put the bread out but she went in the back and brought the whole rack out and told the customer to pick what she wanted. The customer then turned to me and asked if wanted something from the rack and I told her no that I would wait.

At that time the employee looked at me and said "Who said I was putting this out?" RUDE! I can understand limits, but make sure the signs are posted before you open the store. The manager then said that other customers complained because they do not have the chance to buy the name brand items. If this is the case then they need to be there when the store opens and items should be on a first come first service basis. Do I need to shop here NO, did I like to yes but not anymore. You need to treat customers with respect, and you will not find respect at this store.

Original review: July 26, 2017

They have a manager in training. She states her name is Keke... She a **. No hair on the side, wears glasses. On 7/25/17 @ 6:30 pm Texas time... she was very rude because I ask for a refund. She stated, "I don't know how to give a refund." Very rude upon arrival... Waved me off and stated, "I have other things to do" and then snatched the marker not pen out my hand. The Lord was with me TODAY. I stated, "May I have your cooperate #?" She stated, "I don't have it."

Original review: July 11, 2017

I was visiting Santa Ana store. Never been in the store before. As I was walking the aisles some of them were so empty. My problem didn't start until I try to find someone to get an item down from on top of the call storage. It was a bear in a box for 599. When I finally found somebody to get one down he handed it to me and walked away. I was examining the bear and found one of the paws was dirty like grease so I just took it to the register and decided to pay so I can ask there to get a newer one. Well that didn't go very well. The girl was very bothered by me asking. It showed in her face so I decided I would tell her I'll help her put my things in the bed when she finally found someone to get another box to move that box was torn apart.

I asked for lightly feeling bad that I was bothering her if I can get one more box because this was a gift for my granddaughter and I didn't want to show up with a messed up box. Now that didn't go well either. I paid for my item and she started taking the next person while all my stuff was on the counter that I paid for. Since she has an attitude I gave her the bag and said, "I was just trying to help you but you go ahead and put everything in the bag yourself now." This is where things went bad. She told me that she does not back anything unless I buy a bag from her. One of my bags was a bag purchased at a different store. The other bag was a bag regular bag purchase inside the store about 6 months ago.

I was so surprised I asked her to show me a sign that says they do not put things in a bag unless you buy a bag. From now I've never heard of such a thing. I've been to several 99 Cent Only Stores never been treated like this. What really upset me was that she continued on with the girl behind me and then try to start the next person behind that girl and I said she needed to bag my stuff. I had no idea what the new law that in order for them to bag your items you had to buy a bag from them. I will never go back to that store and I hope nobody else does either.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I have shopped at 99 Cents Only store since they first opened. The store has totally gone downhill in recent years to the point of not wanting to shop there anymore. First and most inexcusable is their alleged "security". Totally worthless. Most of the time they are either sitting in their car in the parking lot or chatting friendly with the shoplifters as though they know them while the clerks do his job of trying to detain them until the police come, which never happens. They always take off and the security doesn't even bother to go after them, to get a license plate, description of car or people or anything. One particular loudmouth security person is rude, obnoxious, ignorant, loud, disrespectful, power hungry, directly lies in an attempt to puff up himself, sits in his car in the parking lot listening to music, acts as a parking police rather than security, "disrupts the operation of the store and the mgrs' duties over parking issues because he's a drama queen.

I'm convinced the security is who is bringing in the undesirables to the store. I have been in the store when shoplifting was going on and it's always been the employees who catch them. The security is totally worthless. They stand around. If you can find them... Watching the clerks do the job they are supposed to do. What I also hate about this store I once loved is that more often than not they close early before their stated hours. I'll run over to get something at 10 min before 10 and they have decided to close early. It doesn't matter if you needed just one thing... They won't recognize a faithful regular customer. In fact they are downright rude. And their prices! If something says 99 cent underneath it that's what it should be. No. Not at this store. Their items are not clearly marked.

Quite often you can get the same or better brand item for cheaper at a regular store. Management acts totally unconcerned with store issues or the fact it's become a hub for the homeless, shoplifters and panhandlers. The alleged security protects them more than they do the victims. So, I wouldn't recommend this store unless you want some abuse and disrespect and possible break in of your car or theft of your purse.

Original review: June 28, 2017

We shop at the 99 Cents Only store in San Clemente. I'm so so tired of going in and finding more and more items more than 99 cents! At first it was just the milk and eggs. I get it, they wanted to make these items available to us. BUT now it's everything!! The whole store has so many items more than 99 cents. They need to change their name. IT'S NOT 99 CENTS ONLY anymore! I feel like they are trying to get every dime from us. I feel like they are slowly stealing our money by slowly adding more items NOT 99 cents... like we are a frog in water that slowly boils us to death! Hate it!

99 Cents Only Stores Company Information