3.55/5

136 99 Cents Only Stores Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I have been shopping at those location in Rialto CA for at least 14 years. I know the staff and I am always cheerful and kind to them. On this day I had a cashier verbally attack me, call me out or my name and come to me chest to chest all of the fact I went to speak to a manger about the security guard who verbally accosted and antagonized a senior citizen woman who was clearly having a hard time. She became very upset and belligerent and ignorant because the lady ran her foot over with her walker.

I attempted to deescalate the situation because the manager and other cashiers did absolutely nothing. I could see that this lady was clearly in distress and I assisted her in getting out of the store. Once I removed the fellow customer from the store and attempted to calm her down and instruct her to call corporate - what should have been the manager's job. What she couldn't do it because she could barely speak English which is no fault of her own.

The security guard came rushing outside big and threatening the lady who had to be at least 70 years old. When I told her man please she began to talk about me and my children. She told me that I was poor because I shopped at the 99 Cents store. I said, "Okay that's fine but you work here." The situation continued for a couple minutes as the security guard began to follow me and my children to our car antagonizing us. I then turned around and went inside where men a cashier by the name of Catarina.

This lady was so rude. She walked up on me into my personal space. She made racial slurs toward me and my children. She threatened me. I have a child who is 16 in autistic. What's in all of the commotion my child begins have a breakdown. She then proceeded to shove a basket at my child as I'm trying to deescalate the situation again. While all of this is happening none of the staff came to assist me to take this lady away. I've never been so humiliated, embarrassed or hurt in my life.

The stores are part of my daily routine. It's sad to see the decline of the store. There's consistently rotten fruit, the bathrooms are filthy, there's never enough cashiers, a lot of the products are incomplete or broken. I know these things are out of the control of some of the staff but it's just sad to see the decline in the sense of pride. I feel like since the death of the original owner the 99 Cents Only store has lost a lot of the care. I'm proud and used to put in a storefront here in Rialto California store number 1 2 3.

I'm not going to let this isolated incident stop me from supporting the 99 Cents store because I do feel like it is an essential need to our community making good quality products accessible to those who may not be able to go into the higher end stores. I'm just really hurt and upset by the whole incident. I have contacted corporate inside. The police report I'm debating if I want to take other legal actions. I don't want to seem like I sue happy customer but I would hate for anyone else to have to endure this treatment. I myself am a disabled person. My husband is a disabled veteran. We are whole entire family was disrespected at one incident.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I have not seen your fruit scene shopping bags at your Dallas store for the last couple weeks. Where are they as I have been buying this quality bag for years? They are very well constructed and last forever. Whereas the other shopping bags that you sell are garbage. I bought one a couple weeks ago and the handles tore away after the first time I loaded the bag up. I had to return it to the store for a refund. You had a very good high quality bag that lasted forever so I do hope that it hasn't been discontinued by your store in favor of some cheaply made Disney bags. Yes, I love Disney but in this case your fruit scene bags are vastly superior to the Disney Bags. Load them both up over and over again and see for yourself which is the BETTER bag by far. Thank you.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Mark, we appreciate your feedback. Our shelves are stocked frequently. Item selection may vary by location. Please stop by to see what's in stock! You never know what treasures you might find. We hope to see you again!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 15, 2019

Why call it 99 Cents store? Almost half the items are 1.99$ and up. Each product that is more than 99 cents has a sticker that says, “An Amazing Value”. I beg to differ, 99 cents is an amazing value. Change the name of the store, it’s misleading the consumer.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Josh, everyone has known us for the last 30 years as 99 Cents Only Stores. Our name is a big part of our culture. We are keeping our company name because most of our items still cost 99.99¢ or less. We hope we'll see you again!

Original review: May 6, 2019

Surprised when an older male cashier called me "Darling". I find many semi retired and retired working in many stores which is a given for needed income in these times. They do their best to do their work and be helpful, friendly and efficient. I unloaded my groceries and heard "Hello, darling." I never met this man in my life and I know from his culture as a term of endearment. He worked as a waiter perhaps 30 years ago when I questioned him. It is now 2019. Did he do this to women who are coupled? A woman behind me was a bar tender and called her customers "Honey". I never am disrespectful in my reaction but I found it patronizing. I let him know it was charming and apologized but he was bent out of shape because of the loss of faith in humanity.

99 Cents Only Stores response

We're sorry you were disappointed Catherine. We take your comments seriously and are doing all we can to make your next visit much better. Please call our customer service to make this right.

Original review: April 28, 2019

This is ridiculous. They should start calling it nothing is $.99 anymore store! I used to brag about it all the time to everyone. I was a loyal customer for so long. Now I can’t stand to even go in there because I’m so disappointed that they’re over pricing the cheapest items. Even the produce I used to get there I can get cheaper at any other store now. They don’t even lower produce pricing that’s getting rotten. They’d rather throw it away. They have cheap slippers and purses that look so cheap they should be less than $.99 and they are Over $3.99. Hopefully they lose all their loyal customers or they need to get sued for calling it 99 Cents only. Then maybe they’ll go back to the original 99 Cents only store that everyone loved. They have lost me for good. They suck now!!

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Janice, we value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 99 Cents Only Stores?

Original review: April 9, 2019

The other day I walked into a 99 Cents Only store in CA to get a small bottle of juice. The price tag read .99 cents, but at the cash register the display showed: Is it OK $1.00 for the item? Of course, I pushed OK button. 1 cent is no big deal, but I just want to understand why it is that way. If it's a normal thing for the company to cheat on customers like that, then remove the word ONLY from the name. PS: BTW, there is no food tax in CA.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi John, in 2008, the company added a charge of .99 cents (99/100)of once cent) to the base unit price for most merchandise. As a result, currently, the most common price point for items in our stores is 99.99 cents. In almost all instances, this price will round up to one dollar at the register. The overall impact of this pricing change was to increase prices for our merchandise by one penny.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I entered the store and was asked to remove my backpack by the cashier. I selected the items I had originally went for and checked out. When I went to retrieve my backpack I was told someone had taken off with it. I have tried on multiple occasions to get compensated for my belongings and now can't get a consumer specialist to return any of my phone calls. I'm livid!

99 Cents Only Stores response

Oh no Jessica! Please call customer service to make this right.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Ok, So I have been fuming about this for a few weeks now. Let me start at the beginning. I used to be a loyal 99 Cents store shopper. Over the past few years I have noticed that they started bringing stuff into the store that did not look like they could be 99 cents nor was it when I got to the register. This was before they were clearly marked. I started shopping less and less when more and more items were not clearly marked and I would get to the register and find out that the price was double what I was expecting (not a good deal when the same bowl at the Dollar Tree is 1.00).

I rarely will go into the 99 Cents store due to the number of time this has happened to me. Well, the last straw was... My daughter needed something for school and we happened to be right next to the 99 Cents Only store. I figured what could it hurt. 1 item, .99 cents, I can do this. We get into the store and right inside on my right, I get wowed by the 2 big 5' tall 6' wide carts of plants they have (good marketing). One was directly in front of the other packed together tight so to get to the plants in the back you had to reach through. I looked for the sign and clearly marked was "99 Cents Only"! I think, great, I need some plants for my planters, so I get a cart, comment on the great price and how healthy they look to the gal closest to me at her register and she smiles.

I grab 24 of these little cuties, place them all nice in the cart (spending about 10 minutes doing this). We then grab the notebook that we came in for. The lines are very long (only two registers are open and each person has about 10 people in line). So We Wait... Finally getting to the register unloading all the plants because you have to ring each one up individually (never understood why I need to do this if they are all the same and you can clearly count them), but nonetheless, do so. She rings them up and as I am putting my credit card in she says that will be $53 dollars and some odd cents. I look up puzzled and said there must be some mistake. I didn't by 48 I only bought 24. She said, no they are $1.99.99 cents each. I said, uh.. No they're not!

I walk over to the sign which clearly reads plants 99 cents only. She walks over to the cart and she looks all around and says, "Well they're 1.99." I again point at the sign and say a little louder, "Uh, it says .99 cents." She looks on all three visible sides and the back and it has no tag other than .99 cents. She looks confused and isn't sure what to do but says they are $1.99. I just stand there and say uhhhh. She then looks again and starts rolling the carts around (they are on wheels) and moves one cart from in front of the other, now partially blocking the walkway into and out of the store. She keeps looking for any sign of a tag. After she completely pulls the carts apart she finds a small tag that was on the cart in the back handwritten that says (flowers 1.99). The other one on the other cart read (plants .99 cents.) There were flowers and plants on both of the carts mixed together.

Now I ask you; Is it my job to move a 6 foot cart around blocking the entry/exit of the store to see if there is a tag on another cart that is clearly tucked tight in behind the other. There was NO way to see that sign unless the cart in front is moved out of the way. I said, "Are you kidding me! The sign said 99 cents that was in the front." She said, "Well they are not." I just stand there. She asks the manager to come up and talk to me. The line is getting nothing by longer, we have wasted at least 3 to 4 minutes discussing this out of line by the cart and when the manager comes up she asked what the issue was and the gal said, "This lady thinks these plants should be .99 cents."

The manager walks over to the carts which are completely moved from where they were and still partially blocking the entry/exit and says "what's the confusion?" The price says right here and points to it "flowers $1.99" and this says "plants .99 cents" right here on this cart. I said, "Well, the carts weren't this way a couple of minutes ago and you couldn't see the sign because this cart was in front of the other". She said, "Well, we found the price. Do you want them for $1.99 or not?" I said "The other issue is flowers are plants!!!" So how was I to know when I saw the only sign that said plants .99 cents that they would not include the flowers. So, "NO I do not want the plants".

I go back to the line and apologize to everyone in line for making them wait. I take all the plants off the conveyor that she had them on and have my daughter go put them back. I am pretty grumbly at this point and apologize to the cashier that I am not trying to be mean to her but it was clearly mismarked and that I hate this happening every time I come in. She said thanks, and that she hates getting yelled at all the time by people who buy something expecting it to be cheaper than it is. She says people are always leaving mad! I left empty handed. I WILL NOT BE BACK! So done with this store. CHANGE YOUR SIGN! It is very misleading and I do NOT understand how you are not sued for false advertising.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Holly, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Me and my family have been loyal customers to 99 Cents stores for over 7 years but I've been really disappointed lately because nothing is 99 cents anymore. Everything is $2.99 and over. Even cheap toothbrushes are like 3.99. I'm so disappointed, I liked the 99 Cents store because it was really affordable but it really isn't anymore ☹️. I hope someday they remove their "Amazing Value" prices and go back to being 99 cents only, if they wanna keep their customers???

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Pumpkin, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Hello everyone. I have been a loyal customer of the 99 Cents Only Stores for many years. The pricing has evolved tremendously over the years. For example, I began to see a dozen eggs that were usually 99 cents, be broken in half (6 eggs), for the $1. Now a dozen eggs are over $2 dollars now. And let’s put this out there, nothing there is 99 cents, everything is rounded up to a dollar. So, there is definitively a reason for a business name change, because nothing is 99 cents anymore. That is false advertisement, and the 99 Cents Only store, is long over due for a business name change, that accurately reflects its pricing to the public. They are no longer a 99 Cents Only Store, and should not be advertising to the public that they are.

On a recent outing to a 99 Cent Store located at 11049 W. Pico Blvd., in Los Angeles, l had an unpleasant appearance. I purchased nearly $150 dollars in groceries. Within that purchase, l had two baskets of strawberries, that have always been a $1 for as long as l can remember. Upon examining my receipt in the car, l noticed that the strawberries are now a whopping $2 per basket. A 100 percent mark up in one swoop. There were no prices stating that on the package, and the price was not posted to reflect that 100 percent price increase.

That same day, l decided, to exchange them for different fruit. To my surprise, the woman who identified herself as the store manager, named **, states that l could not exchange fruit, because it is perishable. So l said to her, "Well l don’t see that policy posted anywhere in your store, nowhere in the produce department, nor is it anywhere on the receipt or the fruit packaging. Therefore, how are customers supposed to know your policy?" She refused to exchange the items, and turned her back to me, and made smart remarks to me, and she was extremely rude. So l said to her, "If that is your policy, by law, and just out of basic respect for your customers, you should have that policy clearly posted." Her response is, "We don’t have to do that, and we are not exchanging your fruit."

So l went to my car, and called customer service. Something l never do, but the manager was just so rude, l had to call. I explained to customer service about what happened. I was asked if l was still at the store location, and l said, "Yes." I was on the phone for awhile, and customer service contacted the store, and l am sure the store manager **. When she came back to the phone, she states that the store manager said that l returned the strawberries to her open. Blatant lie. Not only was she out of line on the non posting of store policy regarding exchanges, she is a liar, and she lied regarding what she did to a customer. I told customer service, their employee/manager was a liar. And instead of instructing the manager to exchange the items, customer service condoned her poor behavior and said they would send me two 99 Cent Store coupons, that l will probably never see.

She needs to be relieved of her position as a store manager. She obviously does not know what she is doing, has no knowledge of store policy laws in place to protect the public, she was rude, and she is liar. ** needs to go elsewhere to work. She is not manager material, or public relations experienced whatsoever. I have no reason to return two baskets of strawberries opened, after just purchasing nearly a $150 dollars in groceries. Absolutely ridiculous. Had l not been in a rush, l would have returned everything to Miss **. Not to mention, the store is predominantly Hispanic, most not able to understand or speak English very well. So on top of them being rude, there is this communication barrier to deal with. And sometimes, that’s a problem.

I don’t see a balance in the hiring of employees. There should be all types of employees working there, not just one ethnic group. It’s a touchy subject for some, but l speak the truth about what l see. And there needs to be more balance in that store. All ethnic groups deserve opportunities, not just one. Anyone who visits this store, will notice why l have concerns. I think l saw an Asian cashier once, and an ** security officer once, but haven’t seen her recently. This needs to be addressed. The public wants a healthy balance of qualified employees, and we want to see other qualified employees given employment opportunities, not just Hispanic employees. That isn’t fair, and the company is sending a very negative, and racist message to the public. I only go to this store, because it is convenient.

Overall, the 99 Cents Only Stores have many issues that they need to address, before they lose even more trust from their loyal customers. You are being dishonest about pricing, or deceptive at least, and it’s a terrible reflection of who you are as a company. Listen to your public, before things escalate unnecessarily. Clearly post store policies, train your employees on how to properly handle the customers, and open your eyes to what is happening here. You are losing customers. The district manager should be on top, of all of these issues, like yesterday. I am beyond shocked, that these issues persist. Hopefully things improve, or l will start shopping Dollar Tree more, and other discount stores as well. The alleged 99 Cents Only Store, that really isn’t a 99 Cent Only Store, is quickly losing me as a customers, as well as the hundreds of dollars that l spend there every month.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Renay, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

99 Cents Only Stores Company Information