1.43/5
Based on 102 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

99 Cents Only Stores

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 6, 2017

108 99 Cents Only Stores Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I purchased two packages of underwear at the Valencia, CA store for 2.99 each not realizing they were boy shorts, not briefs. When I tried to return them (not even return them, I was going to exchange for other merchandise), I was told it was past the 9-day policy and I couldn't exchange them. NINE DAYS! That is a ridiculous policy! The packages weren't even opened. I have been a regular customer for decades, and I'm extremely upset. I have a VERY limited income of $800 per month and the $7 I spent on these is now lost because I cannot use them. Keep in mind also that I've returned items well outside this 9-day policy and never had a problem before. I will not be shopping at the Valencia store again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I went to the .99 cent store to do shopping for a few items for work and myself. The final cost of my purchases as much higher than I expected. When I returned to work I looked at my receipt more closely and realized I had been charged 4.99 each for pillows and 3.99 each for cat food. When I walk into the 99 cent ONLY store, I expect everything to cost 99 cents or less. This is false advertising!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I have been shopping at the store on Marks street for years. Today I was treated by the manager like I was an idiot. I was at the store when it opened today and went by the cooler section and grabbed a few of the Kraft packs of the sliced cheese. At that time there was no sign stating there was a limit. So I continued with my shopping and when I got to the register I heard the cashier tell the customer in front of me that there was a limit on the cheese. Both of us told her that there was no sign so she said that the manager came and told her that he placed a limit sign up but this was after we had the items in the cart. So the manager told her it was okay for the customer in front of me to have the 4 packs.

I then asked the manager when did he place the sign up and I told him it was not up when he opened the store and he looked at me and said "Are you sure you did not see a sign?" like I am an idiot, REALLY! I told the cashier that I wanted the 4 packs like he gave the other customer and she said she would need to get an approval from the manager. On a previous visit, I was in the back by bread section which was empty and there was another regular customer speaking to one of the employees asking her if they were going to place any bread out. The employee told her that the manager did not want to put the bread out but she went in the back and brought the whole rack out and told the customer to pick what she wanted. The customer then turned to me and asked if wanted something from the rack and I told her no that I would wait.

At that time the employee looked at me and said "Who said I was putting this out?" RUDE! I can understand limits, but make sure the signs are posted before you open the store. The manager then said that other customers complained because they do not have the chance to buy the name brand items. If this is the case then they need to be there when the store opens and items should be on a first come first service basis. Do I need to shop here NO, did I like to yes but not anymore. You need to treat customers with respect, and you will not find respect at this store.

Original review: July 26, 2017

They have a manager in training. She states her name is Keke... She a **. No hair on the side, wears glasses. On 7/25/17 @ 6:30 pm Texas time... she was very rude because I ask for a refund. She stated, "I don't know how to give a refund." Very rude upon arrival... Waved me off and stated, "I have other things to do" and then snatched the marker not pen out my hand. The Lord was with me TODAY. I stated, "May I have your cooperate #?" She stated, "I don't have it."

Original review: July 11, 2017

I was visiting Santa Ana store. Never been in the store before. As I was walking the aisles some of them were so empty. My problem didn't start until I try to find someone to get an item down from on top of the call storage. It was a bear in a box for 599. When I finally found somebody to get one down he handed it to me and walked away. I was examining the bear and found one of the paws was dirty like grease so I just took it to the register and decided to pay so I can ask there to get a newer one. Well that didn't go very well. The girl was very bothered by me asking. It showed in her face so I decided I would tell her I'll help her put my things in the bed when she finally found someone to get another box to move that box was torn apart.

I asked for lightly feeling bad that I was bothering her if I can get one more box because this was a gift for my granddaughter and I didn't want to show up with a messed up box. Now that didn't go well either. I paid for my item and she started taking the next person while all my stuff was on the counter that I paid for. Since she has an attitude I gave her the bag and said, "I was just trying to help you but you go ahead and put everything in the bag yourself now." This is where things went bad. She told me that she does not back anything unless I buy a bag from her. One of my bags was a bag purchased at a different store. The other bag was a bag regular bag purchase inside the store about 6 months ago.

I was so surprised I asked her to show me a sign that says they do not put things in a bag unless you buy a bag. From now I've never heard of such a thing. I've been to several 99 Cent Only Stores never been treated like this. What really upset me was that she continued on with the girl behind me and then try to start the next person behind that girl and I said she needed to bag my stuff. I had no idea what the new law that in order for them to bag your items you had to buy a bag from them. I will never go back to that store and I hope nobody else does either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 99 Cents Only Stores?

Original review: July 1, 2017

I have shopped at 99 Cents Only store since they first opened. The store has totally gone downhill in recent years to the point of not wanting to shop there anymore. First and most inexcusable is their alleged "security". Totally worthless. Most of the time they are either sitting in their car in the parking lot or chatting friendly with the shoplifters as though they know them while the clerks do his job of trying to detain them until the police come, which never happens. They always take off and the security doesn't even bother to go after them, to get a license plate, description of car or people or anything. One particular loudmouth security person is rude, obnoxious, ignorant, loud, disrespectful, power hungry, directly lies in an attempt to puff up himself, sits in his car in the parking lot listening to music, acts as a parking police rather than security, "disrupts the operation of the store and the mgrs' duties over parking issues because he's a drama queen.

I'm convinced the security is who is bringing in the undesirables to the store. I have been in the store when shoplifting was going on and it's always been the employees who catch them. The security is totally worthless. They stand around. If you can find them... Watching the clerks do the job they are supposed to do. What I also hate about this store I once loved is that more often than not they close early before their stated hours. I'll run over to get something at 10 min before 10 and they have decided to close early. It doesn't matter if you needed just one thing... They won't recognize a faithful regular customer. In fact they are downright rude. And their prices! If something says 99 cent underneath it that's what it should be. No. Not at this store. Their items are not clearly marked.

Quite often you can get the same or better brand item for cheaper at a regular store. Management acts totally unconcerned with store issues or the fact it's become a hub for the homeless, shoplifters and panhandlers. The alleged security protects them more than they do the victims. So, I wouldn't recommend this store unless you want some abuse and disrespect and possible break in of your car or theft of your purse.

Original review: June 28, 2017

We shop at the 99 Cents Only store in San Clemente. I'm so so tired of going in and finding more and more items more than 99 cents! At first it was just the milk and eggs. I get it, they wanted to make these items available to us. BUT now it's everything!! The whole store has so many items more than 99 cents. They need to change their name. IT'S NOT 99 CENTS ONLY anymore! I feel like they are trying to get every dime from us. I feel like they are slowly stealing our money by slowly adding more items NOT 99 cents... like we are a frog in water that slowly boils us to death! Hate it!

Original review: June 28, 2017

I have been a customer of the 99 Cents Only Stores. I'm been very happy. They open the new one in Montebello Calif. Omg it's the bomb. It has so much stuff and it's so nice inside. It will knock you out. Please put one in Los Lunas New Mexico where I moved to now. I really miss my store I'm jealous. Now that we don't have one please please put one in our town. Thank you. Happy customer.

Original review: June 26, 2017

05/2017 — With the new law passing that we are required to bring our own bags, I use a tote bag that works perfect for my shopping needs. Just another trip to my local neighborhood 99 Cents Store in Covina on Azusa Ave. I was doing my shopping as I have done numerous times using my tote bag as storage till I get reach the register when they are removed and purchased and placed back in my tote bag. I was approached by store associate and asked me to remove the items in my purse and very rudely said, "We don't shop by putting things in our purse before paying for them."

I explained that it's not a purse... It's a tote bag and that I have every intention to pay for them. I have worked retail and know other, more professional way to approach someone whom they are suspecting of shoplifting especially since we are made to carry and use our own bags. I prefer to use my tote bag doesn't mean I'm shoplifting. I will never go back to that store again.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Was charged $1.99 for 4 different items. A sprinkler, garden gnomes and corn grill and a pasta container. I thought everything was... 99. I guess I won't be shopping there again because this is false advertising.

Original review: June 4, 2017

I had a horrible experience at the 3420 W. Lincoln Anaheim, CA, 92801. The cashier did not bag my groceries and ignored my bag as if he didn't see it. When I asked if the cashiers bagged the groceries when provided with a bag, the cashier ** began to argue with me and when I asked to speak with a manager he lied and said he was the manager. I could tell he was having a bad day and didn't want to be bothered with assisting customers and I set him off with my question. Never shopping at this store again!

Original review: April 6, 2017

I've read a lot of the reviews, in here, and some of the stories, are terrible, from rude employees, to over charges etc. I shop at the 99 Cents store a lot! In Yucca Valley, CA. Not once have I experienced, a rude employee, they are very, cheerful usually and nice. The store is clean, and well stocked. I think it's a life saver for our area. Maybe they should be more clear about their sign. Yes, some stuff is higher, but still, c'mon people you know, there is no way in hell, you would walk out of Walmart with a basket full of stuff, for the same price! No complaints here! I love their store!

Original review: March 16, 2017

I, like many people not happy about prices. I tried to buy some candy today which was clearly marked 99 at cash register. The girl ask me if is ok these items are 1.99. I said no because is marked clearly 99 in shelf. She apologizes and take them away. I am really mad. I want to take this company to court... 99 cent store means 99 cent not. 9999 not 1.99 not 2.99...

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I was shopping for toys at 99Cents Store located at College Oak Dr Sacramento CA. While my items were being run by the cashier, a man who acts like the supervisor stopped the transaction because he decided to put 9 pieces limit on the number of items I can buy. He claims as store policy but I did not see any notice or signs for the limit. He suggested that I return another day to buy more. Why should I waste gas and effort to buy items from the store?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

The 99 Cents Store is selling dog treats, made in PRC (People's Republic of China). Virtually everyone else, when identifying China as the mfg of their goods, puts "made in china" on the item, but Petkin, Inc, in Marina Del Rey, CA wants to hide where their product is made because so many dog products made in China have been tainted and killed many dogs in the US. To increase their deceptivity, they put "designed in USA! No attempted deception there. Shame on them, shame on 99 Cents Store for selling this stuff.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

We popped into the 99 cent store @ 4849 FM 1960 and had the misfortune to meet Eva (cashier). She had the most horrible attitude and it wasn't until I told her about it that she even acknowledge that we were standing there. First she snapped at me "IS THIS HERS?" Meaning the customer in line ahead of me. Why snap at me? The woman just shifted left to right and neither of us answered. Both shocked. I put the divider in place and tried not to get upset. Then it's my turn to pay. She starts speaking and I was replying "Hello..." She stops and looks at me crazy and I realize that she was speaking to her friend that was in line behind me. I quietly paid my tab and quickly left the store with no intentions to ever going back.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

The advertising and store name describes a store where ALL items are 99 cents. That is not the case, at least in Palm Desert, California. There are many items that are $2, $3, $4, and more. When I questioned this, the salesperson and manager said that there was a small paper/print sign on the door that said that some items can be more. All the while the huge storefront identifying sign says "99 Cents ONLY" and the employees wear a badge that says in large letters 99 Cents ONLY. This is very deceptive to the consumer who often will not check to see that they are actually charged much more than the 99 cents for an item. This practice is truly deceptive and obviously meant to defraud consumers. It reminds me of past "Bait and Switch" policies that were used by some retailers to get people into the store.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Incident occurred: 11/1/16 - 852 N. LaBrea Store 84. ** Mgr. said company was Security Safe Guard. Offender: **. I spoke with her immediate supervisor. He sounded like he couldn't care less. He gave me a number that he said was the company's **. Never got an answer. I was in the checkout line. I told the cashier that I wanted my glass bottles wrapped in paper. She said she had no paper. I said you have to have paper in a store. She turned to the cashier behind her. That cashier showed her the paper towels. I realized that she didn't understand English well. Then she proceeded to finish checking me out.

A security guard walks up to the checkout positions herself in front of my cart and told the cashier she would help her bag. The cashier told her no. Then the security guard turns to me and asks if there was anything she could do for me. I told her that she could move out of the way. Then she snapped and told me that I was very rude. I was a ** queen and that I was lucky that she had her uniform on. She made some comment about the police. I told her my brother was a cop. That is true.

She called me ball headed. I told her she had no edges. She bolted for the back of the store. I thought she'd left but she rush back in and told to kiss her ass. Patted her backside and called me a **. Then she stormed out of the store and into the parking lot. When she came back I asked her what did she go to get. She patted her butt and said her phone. I asked the cashier to call the manager. She called and a guy came to the checkout. He said his name was **. I asked him for the security guard's name and the name of the company. He went outside and came back with her name. The company's name is Security Safe Guard. He gave me ** number. He said he only knew **. See above.

I called the police department and spoke to a Officer **. Hollywood division. He that I needed to call 911, if it happened again. I can tell you that I am very reluctant to shop at your stores again. Clearly the security company doesn't do background or drug tests. This person is really insane. I am sure the store has video. This went on for several minutes. The other customers were shocked. None were more shocked that me.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

Let it be known I went to return some sandals this morning ready for check out. Customer in front of me not happy about paying for a refill on a deflated balloon. I agreed with the lady that I was talking to. With that being said the cashier (by the name of EVA decided to take it upon herself to refuse me from exchanging my 1.99 cent sandals for a bigger size saying I was a RUDE customer. I asked to see the manager as she said she was the manager. I asked to see her manager. She made it well known with all the customers around and in a loud voice saying "we have a RUDE customer over here."

This was just because of the fact I agreed with the lady in front of me about her complaint and she did not like it one bit and refused me to return my sandals for a bigger size with my receipt. I never once disrespected her in any way and far from being put on blast in front of customers saying I was RUDE causing a unnecessary embarrassing scene.

I am a retired US army Veteran and never been so embarrassed and disrespected in my whole life the way I was treated by EVA at this 99c location. Personally I think EVA should be fired! Professionally I think she need some serious re-training on customer relations that she poorly lacks if she is going to represent your impeccable corp. On a good note the other manager addressed my issue and was very professional about it and let me know he would talk to her about it. I got my return with no problem. This incident occurred at the Kolb / Golf Links location in Tucson AZ. I have been going to 99c stores for many years due to this unnecessary incident I regret to say I will no longer utilize your stores due to this unfortunate experience I encountered. Thanks for allowing me to express my concern.

Original review: June 5, 2016

I frequented this store when I was in Tracy, CA because almost everything is just 99 cents. I was surprised with the items that I found here because there was a variety of grocery items that are really just 99 cents like pasta, salsa, canned soup, sauces, chocolates, chips, condiments, biscuits, etc. You can also find kitchen tools, stationery supplies, toys, cleaning supplies and even pet treats. Yes - there are items that are not 99 cents but they are still priced fairly reasonable and still not expensive. If you are staying on a budget, this place should be on the top of your list to go to.

Original review: June 2, 2016

NEVER have I (a 74-year-old woman) ever shoplifted or been accused of stealing but a rude, nasty woman who said her name was ** at a 99 Cents Store on 7470 West Lake Mead, Las Vegas NV accused me last night just as the store was about to close. My husband was waiting in line and I was in my wheelchair looking at a few items at the end of an aisle. ** approached me and said to pay for the reading glasses I was wearing that I had bought them years ago and worn them from home. I told her that I had the glasses for sometime and was an honest woman. Her response was that I should not come back to the store if I was not satisfied with the service. Not only did she falsely accuse me but insulted me as well.

Undoubtedly no one cannot be pleased with such an employee. She even boasted that she was a manager but we have never seen a store manager act in such a disgraceful manner. I should have removed my glasses and showed her that they were much cleaner than those handled and sold in any store. Please do what you must to prevent other shoppers from being treated badly. We intend to contact the newspaper and other media here about her outrageous behavior.

Original review: April 24, 2016

Don't use your credit card or they might charge you twice like they did to me. Now I'm trying to get my money back but I'm not having any luck. I'll never shop here again.

Original review: April 12, 2016

Not sure why so many people are complaining. I mostly shop at Costco and I go the 99 Cent Only stores several times a year. I went today, and boy did I find great products. Everything I bought was 99.99 cents, only 2 items were $1.99 and $2.99 and they were clearly marked (one on the label which was at the bottom of the item. I bought a pack of 3 chandelier bulbs from Costco last week for $12. Today I bought 8 chandelier bulbs, 4 packs (2 in a pack) for $4.00. I bought a lipstick holder which has a small narrow mirror inside. For the last 10 years I was looking for this item which almost doesn't exist anymore. It would have been $8 to $10 in any store, here it's 99.99 cents. I could go on and on about the many newer and better products the 99 Cents Store carries. Do you really expect them to keep the 99 cent price for 99 years??? That's the name of the store and they don't want to change it - and they're right.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2016

I am a teacher and shopped on two occasions at 99 Cents store in folsom, ca for my classroom items. Looking at my receipt I noticed several items are $1.99??? I was frustrated. The sign says 99 Cents, that is very misleading. As I spoke to several co workers we no longer shop there. It is deceptive pricing.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2016

I just got back from the store. I noticed on my receipt I was charged $2.99 each for cans of air freshener. Nowhere where the cans were located was a price. I thought they were .99 cents. If you are going to be more, change your name. You are not .99 cents ONLY.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

I agree with many of these other reviews from this 99 cent store ONLY stores. It is completely false advertising, when not all items in the store are 99 cents and are 1.99, 2.99 or even more. If this store wants to change prices is fine. But they need to change the name of the store. Many people walk in thinking that everything is 99 cents as it says on their logo. Then when it comes down to pay they see that some items are sold for more money. This isn't right and I would like to create a lawsuit against these chain stores. I'm sure there's many people that would like to join in and that agree with me. They can't continue to get away with this false advertising!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015

This store is called 99 only store. If you look at your receipt items are priced at 99.99 cents.. MAKING ITEMS $1. This is false advertisement all around! If items are NOT 99.99 cents, it's because it COSTS MORE! NOTHING IN THE STORE IS 99 cents!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

I applied for 99 cents store. Had an interview. My last name is Hispanic from my husband. They asked me if I was Latina. No my husband is. The Hispanic manager looked away and said "oh I am white" and thought in my head why. He said he liked me and wanted to hire me. I went for second interview. Said they call me to let me know my hire date but has never called me for days. They said they call in 2 days. That's racism that they only want Hispanics. I think when they saw my application that my last name they said a Latina. When they found out I am white and they said never mind. That's racism and I only saw Hispanic employees.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

I'm not sure how this is becoming to a legitimate business when you informed the public the nature of a business transaction as it advertise through media, billboards not to mention on the storefront stated everything is 99 cents, and when I got to the checkout stand I was confused because some of the items were not 99 cents. They were 1.99, 2.99 milk, some items were 3.99. This is not even one of the 99 cents plus store. This is one of the 99 cents only store chain here in Victorville, California on 7th Street. Can they run business like that. It's been on for five years now. Why don't they change their sign, business logos and ads so we would be more of understanding how they run their business. All I know 99 cents nothing less, nothing more but 99 cents only. I see that as a fraud.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2015

The sign says 99 cents ONLY. Shouldn't everything be 99 cents. They are selling a lot of items for $1.49 - $1.99. I feel this is false advertisement. They should take the sign down because it's no longer 99 cents only store. It's more like a 99 cents PLUS store. I don't understand how they are getting away with this. It's like saying the Dollar Tree store is not selling everything for a dollar.

99 Cents Only Stores Company Information