2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.9/5 (244 ratings)

About 99 Cents Only Stores

99 Cents Only Stores Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 99 Cents Only Stores?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 99 Cents Only Stores?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 18, 2021

I received a direct email from the company advertising cherries for 99 cents a pound. I get to the Venice store and they are 1.99 a pound. You didn’t need the email or join a club or app. Bait and Switch defined! They got you in the store with the direct marketed email and then when you get to the store it is a dollar a pound higher. Bait and Switch! I have pictures of the email and picture.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Scott, we're sorry to hear that the sale price was not honored. Thank you for sending us your phone number so we could reach out to you to make this right. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused and hope that you'll give us another chance. We're always looking for ways to improve.

Original review: March 11, 2021

Hi. I recently went to my local 99 Cents Only store because cause I was craving a bag of chips and was told you no longer sell any sort of chips or crackers.. I later found out water is also not available any longer.. Can you please tell us all why?

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Michell, we understand your concern and will share your feedback with our store’s leadership team. We have temporarily adjusted the product mix so we can continue serving the community during this pandemic and beyond.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2021

99 Cents store is cheaper than the market, and mostly all other stores, the 99 cent stores now receive higher ticket items. That's why everything is not 99 cent, and the 99 cent store get new items every day, thanks for letting me share.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Thanks for the great feedback Derek. We're glad to hear that you appreciate our many great deals and hope to see you again soon!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

99 Cents Store Only should change their name to "Not really 99 Cents Anymore". Over the past few years this store has upcharged their prices and cost more than Wal-Mart on exact or dinar products. I use to shop at the 99 Cents Only store for their 99 cents prices on name brand items, but now I see those same items going for $2.99 & up, even though I had bought that item a while back for only .99 cents. What gives?! And like others have said they don't put a price sticker on most items so when you check out your bill will be doubled the amount. I have told the cashier never mind on items due to the false advertisement. Soon nothing will be 99 cents, I have watched countless items get a price increased so I no longer buy those items from them and find them cheaper at other stores, how ironic that the 99 center store only is actually more expensive than Wal-Mart...I've given most of my business to Dollar Tree since they (so far) are true to their name.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Morgan, we're sorry to hear that you're disappointed. We welcome your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve. If you would like to share your thoughts on these price increases, please contact Customer Service at: (888) LUCKY99 or (888) 582-5999 customerservice@99only.com.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

This store used to be full of great deals that were a dollar. Now this company is trying to scam people by raising prices on items that you can get at Walmart for cheaper. I have written to this company and the email that they sent back is very generic which is the exact same thing they reply to everyone on Facebook. This store is not worth going to and will soon go out of business. I know many people who know longer shop here and when I have gone it is empty. Greediness does not win. Bye bye, “so called” 99 cents only!

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Mary, we're sorry to hear that you're disappointed and welcome your feedback. If you would like to share your thoughts on these price increases, please contact Customer Service at: (888) LUCKY99 or (888) 582-5999 customerservice@99only.com.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I was turned away at the door because l was wearing face shield and no mask. Earlier in the week I shopped there without any problems. I left and went to another 99 Cents Only store and they had no problem with just my face shield. I will never go back to that store again without a written apology that I can show to the nitwit at the door.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi Constance, we're sorry to hear that you were disappointed. We take your comments seriously and are always looking for ways to improve. Please call customer service at 888-582-5999 to make this right.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I have photos, items were not priced nor any stickers or labels indicating products higher than a value of 99 cents. Yet other products were mixed in with labels indicating $2.99 or some products mixed in that also did not have a label but were definitely 99 cents and they were trying to upcharge and said that they dont have to label products that are higher than 99 cents. They are allowed to charge whatever price it rings up for which is false advertising. I did not grab any products that were more than 99 cents in an 99 cents only store because the labels clearly indicated to me that they had a higher value price. If the product itself did not have a higher price label on the shampoo bottle like the other ones did and they were mixed in with bottles that also did not have price tags why were they up charging something that was clearly supposed to be 99cents otherwise?

Tons of products in the store dont have labels and I'm supposed to assume that it could have a higher price? Then dont call the store 99 Cents Only Stores or why even bother adding new labels to help customers buy products that have a higher price when anything in the store could be more than 99 cents. It humiliated me and other customers in line telling them that were right and they are 99 cents because it doesn't say otherwise. The ** cashier was being extremely rude and said that the co worker she called over by the name of Robert was her manager which I hope wasn't another lie because that's not valuing customer integrity. They just were discriminating my nationality. I was someone that couldn't speak English clearly or understand what they were trying to accomplish by saving the products and honoring prices for other customers who were ruder than I was.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi David, we're sorry you were let down. We value your feedback and your loyalty! Some of our customers enjoy the items over 99 cents since they are still a great value. We are now working on labeling these items better for you and other customers to differentiate while you shop with us. See you soon!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Large variety of produce at great prices. Everything from pet supplies, storage and kitchen items, office supplies, gift cards, party supplies, spices and canned goods, cookies and crackers, all kinds of chips and nuts and much more!

99 Cents Only Stores response

We love happy customers Janet! Thanks for the great review. We hope to see you again soon!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

The store manager was yelling at my disability son and me because my son opened a toy box! Worst customer service ever! If the manager treating the customer this way how about other employees! My son special needs student and under medication! He was crying and shaking when we left the store because of what the manager did for us! So disappointed!

99 Cents Only Stores response

Oh no Nedaa! We're sorry to hear this. We work hard to provide our customers with friendly service and unbeatable prices. We take your comments seriously and are always looking for ways to improve. Please call customer service at 888-582-5999 to make this right. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

Went to .99 cents only store at 35th ave and Peoria in Phoenix, AZ. 1st the name is very misleading as not everything is only .99 cents! Yes most items are not marked. But those without labels are assumed to be .99 cents, but never is. This is not my 1st time with this scenario, the other time I chalked it up to the store not caring about business essentials from their customers! In fact that IS CORRECT! I again for a product milk, this was the only one of its kind on the shelf and there was no other of that brand or flavor or anything similar on their shelf.

I took it upfront and (on a side note there is a cat urine odor in between the fruit and vegetable cooler rack and the frozen cooler door, NASTY) and the lady rang it up and she charged me 1.99. I said, "No that is incorrect as there is no sticker on the product and none other like it on the shelf anywhere in the store and the shelf it was on said .99". It was then brought to the manager's attention and she got rude with me and said that it was obviously misplaced. I kindly asked her to view the picture I took and again she claimed the price it rings it is the price they charge. No and ifs or buts. I asked her to show me where that product was and how I was mistaken by showing me other product reflecting the 1.99 price and/or a label on the shelf with that product information or skew #. And she did not. I said, "Well in this case the customer should be right and you should label all products to keep these kind of things from happening again or to anyone else".

She did not care and said the price is still 1.99. Rude, does this company not care about its customer base, I have seen this happen to others whom choose for whatever reason not to post, but this needs to stop and I hope Consumer Affairs looks out for the little people in this world and looks into this and other complaints and then goes to a location and see for themselves.

If you are reading this I urge you not to shop at .99 cents only store until they start being honest and have everything labeled and change their name as they are clearly not .99 cents only at all! Try others like Family Dollar store or Dollar Tree or even a new store 5 and below, until. 99 cents only store gets the point by being fine by the consumer protection advisory, and or customers stop shopping there, they will not change their ways and to hire people like manager at this location is wrong to be treated this way.

99 Cents Only Stores response

Hi john, thank you for taking time to give us feedback. Everyone has known us for the last 30 years as 99 Cents Only Stores. Our name is a big part of our culture. We are keeping our company name because most of our items still cost 99.99¢ or less. We are working on labeling the items over 99¢ more clearly to help our customers differentiate while they shop with us. We hope you'll give us another chance!

99 Cents Only Stores Company Information