2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

Sharper Image Reviews

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

Went online to order a cordless shoulder heat therapy wrap for my husband who had rotator surgery and continues to have pain. Their website said free 2 day shipping on orders over $99 and gave their code but then it also wanted my email, which I gave, and then gave me another code for percentage off. Since I needed this for Valentine's Day and couldn't find the box to enter the shipping code I called their 877 number. I was told that I only got to use one code, even though they give you 2 codes. And then I was told I qualified for a 20% cash back "coupon" and a $25 gift card for my next purchase. These are all "promos" that they say you can only use once, nothing can be combined.

I questioned their customer service rep and he just laughed when I said it was internet fraud; I asked for a supervisor and he laughed again and said no one was available. Obviously, a millennial who cares nothing about customer service, Sharper Image staying in business or his job. So I didn't place my order. I then decided to check reviews on Sharper Image and read all these reviews where people bought heating pads, etc., that Sharper Image considers "personal items" that they say cannot be returned, yet their website says 100% satisfaction guaranteed and the item will be replaced or refunded. This is all Consumer Fraud being committed on the Internet by Sharper Image.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I purchased vibrating arthritis gloves for my wife for Christmas. The gloves did not work from the very beginning. I went to the website and was told since they were health products, they were not eligible for return. There is NOTHING on their website or in the product description that says they cannot be returned, and I replied to the company asking that I be allowed to return them. No response AT ALL. I have now contacted them five more times and I get an automated response, but never an actual one. I have tried calling only to be told my wait time is over two hours. Sharper Image isn't what they once were. This is a ripoff, especially since they won't even speak to me about the issue or take back a clearly defective product. Don't buy from them. It's not worth the gimmicky gift cards or the other junk they offer if you do.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I tried to order a pair of night vision binoculars. The website didn't work, so I called. I ended up with two pair. After over 10 emails and sending the duplicate item back, I received an email that says I may be credited within the next 10 days. Notably, their website says there are no stores. They are online only, horrible service, and seems quickly dying business. I will never order from them again under any circumstance.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

We bought a heated massage back rest for my elderly father in law. When we showed it to him he said he wouldn’t be able to sit up straight enough to use it. Even though the item was never used and in its original packaging Sharper Image refused a return saying they don’t accept returns of used personal items. While the box had been opened, the item was never used but the mere fact of an opened box was the basis for their stance. We are now out $140 with an item for which we have no use. Beware what you purchase at Sharper Image and know that it is an item you will not need to return.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Please never ever order from this company. I never wrote a bad review for anybody, for any company. This was the worst experience with customer service and with the whole process ever!!!! You will lose your time, money and your order item.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharper Image?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

A product of poor quality also lacked the performace as stated by this seller. Rechargable battery pack purported to last up to 5 hrs. would last less than 2 and never heated up to a temp comensurate with providing any comfort. SI refused to take back due to being opened product....never again. You lost a customer who has been shopping at your stores since 1988! DONE WITH YOU!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Do not order from this company. I ordered Dec. 13th with the delivery date of Dec. 17th. It is Dec. 26 and still no product which I ordered as a gift. No one at the customer service was helpful, in fact because I was not agreeing with an agent's rules, she hung up on me. Another attempt transferred me to a voice mail of some middling executive who insincerely apologized and blamed FedEx for any delivery delays but promised all orders would be delivered by Christmas. It did not. Then they want to only refund me the price of the product, and still charge me for shipping it to me and for the shipping label back. Not a way to run a business, maybe run the business into the ground.

DO NOT ORDER UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE DISAPPOINTED, FRUSTRATED, AND EXTREMELY ANNOYED!!!! They do not accept responsibility. I ordered from them, not FedEx! It is Sharper Image's problem NOT Fedex. Sharper Image needed to and still needs to accept responsibility and make amends. Do not order from this sham of a company.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I impulsively ordered a foot warmer/massager from Sharper Image - then saw horrible reviews of the product on other sites. Tried to contact the company back within a half hour of ordering to cancel the order. Attempted customer service online chat. No response Was put on hold on customer service phone line with out going message that said please hold on. Left phone on hold for an hour because a recorded "Stephanie" said they were busy with other customers. No one ever picked up. The next morning I was informed via chat that the order had already shipped - but I could call them for a return label. When I texted back to ask when the foot warmer would arrive - they never responded. I already know the item will be a piece of junk and it will be a nightmare to return. I'm sticking to Amazon and Overstock.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

They claim free shipping, but don’t let you put in code. Refuse to accept gift cards. Say free returns, but they charge you for shipping, twice!! Customer service is a joke. Will NEVER buy here again!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Having had two back surgeries last year, I thought this mat would be helpful giving comfort for body, but it was not at all comfortable or comforting or relaxing. It did not hit the regions needed. Sorry and surprised I could not return it since it is useless and an expensive loss to me. I should have been made aware this item was not returnable! I will NEVER buy from you again.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Sharper Image expert review by Jonathan Trout

Sharper Image is an American retailer that sells home electronics, outdoor living, high-tech and personal care products. It has a line of over 10 massage chairs that feature different looks, massage settings and technology. Massage chairs from Sharper Image range in prices from $499 to $ 9,000.

• Human Touch iJoy Active 2.0: At $499, this is the cheapest massage chair Sharper Image offers. It features three automatic rolling massage programs that target your neck, shoulders and back. The massage programs knead your back in small, circular motion, side-to-side motions and rolling motions. It lets you recline up to 45 degrees.

• Human Touch Zero-Gravity 5.0: The Zero-Gravity 5.0 reclines into a full zero-gravity position to provide optimal comfort. It features manual and pre-programmed modes and Sharper Image’s 3D FlexGlide engine to simulate professional massage techniques. The remote control lets you control the foot, seat and heated back massage all at once or independently. This chair retails for $2,999.

• Shiatsu Massage chair: This chair combines deep kneading massage with power lift technology to help you relax and assist you with getting in and out of the chair. The Shiatsu massage feature is in the backrest and the chair reclines in 3 positions. The Shiatsu massage chair costs $2,000.

• Perfect Sense: The Perfect Sense massage chair has 61 air bags that massage your upper and lower arms, back, buttocks and legs. It features an automatic detection function that micro-adjusts to your body's curves. You can choose a manual, automatic or programmed massage function that features six different types of massage. This chair retails for $9,000.

• Human Touch Novo XT: This chair is designed to help athletes and professionals recover from strenuous workouts and work days. The massage tracks in this chair cover up to 60 percent more of your back than other massage chairs. It has five high-intensity settings so you can customize the pressure. Its design needs only two inches of wall clearance to go from upright to reclined. The Novo XT costs $8,000.

• Other products: Sharper Image sells a wide variety of other products like personal care, outdoor living, travel and auto, toys and games and more. Check their website for details and pricing information on all of their products.

• Best for: working professionals and athletes.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team