3.0/5 (428 ratings)

About Sharper Image

Sharper Image Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharper Image?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharper Image?

Original review: March 9, 2022

I never received my shipment. They had Fed Ex deliver it to USPS mailroom with no signature to save cost. Never came to me and they WON'T reconcile this mistake. I keep emailing them and they throw the tracking number back at me. I re-explain that there is no tracking this package after it was dumped off at USPS. They refuse to reconcile this situation. Scandalous! Never again!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

Shaper Image has no customer service. They will lose your package and still charge you!!! You will have to call several times over several weeks that will all be futile. There is no refund! Their so called customer service is only in South Africa and Panama with a huge time difference. You ask for a supervisor but they are sleeping when it is daytime in US. They are scammers!

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

If I could give this company .25 stars, that would be generous of me. I ordered a product from them before Thanksgiving and paid for express shipping so I would receive the product by Thanksgiving. It did not arrive. When I reached out to them to inquire and asked for express shipping refund, they stated they would send out another item and refund part of my shipping cost. Only part - WHAT? I did grumble about this and received a refund for the balance of the shipping cost. The 2nd item was received 8 days after the representative stated it was shipped (not expedited). I did receive the 1st item shipped 3 weeks later.

I ordered a picture scanner. I opened the box and immediately had reservations on the quality of the product and the output it would produce. Based on the size project and the quality I was looking for, this product DID NOT deliver. I proceeded to return the product and they charged me to return it. Seriously?! As an honest consumer, I did return both items. I complained about them charging me to return and told them I would dispute the return amount. I did, but I received a note from Colleen Dillon - Senior Manager of Customer Care who apologized for my experience and wanted to refund the return charge if I canceled the dispute. I was impressed, canceled the dispute and sent proof. Needless to say I have been ghosted ever since.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

Purchased Bluetooth magnetic earbuds. Returned because they didn't work at all. Purchased again. Also defective. Spent hours and 4 calls to try to get my money refunded. Have to speak to customer service in South Africa. Hung up on me twice. Told me they refunded my money to my credit card twice, but never did. Had to have my credit card deal with them. Defective products and terrible customer service!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Do not order from this company. They use false advertising and send you a product you could buy anywhere else for 1/2 the cost. I ordered the “Photo Vault” from them and what I actually received was the “Picture Keeper”. Had I known this is what I was ordering, I certainly would not have ordered this product from them considering any other merchant sells it for 1/2 the cost of sharper image. On the picture in their catalog and on their website it displays a different product than what they are actually selling. When you try to contact customer service, you cannot get anyone on the line. They do not respond to emails. Customer service is essentially nonexistent. Don’t bother reviewing their products on their website.. They will not let any negative reviews appear. This is not a reputable company and buyer beware! If I could give zero stars I would.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I have ordered a few items as Christmas gifts for my husband. 2 of them did not work at all and came in a damaged box. I was willing to overlook the damaged box as long as items worked. They didn't & I attempted to return them. The company's stated policy is that they accept returns no questions asked if not used. They did not state that a right to return is void as soon as a customer opens the box. This is called Bait and Switch, which is still illegal. Their explanation was that because it was a personal item, once the box is opened, they don't accept returns. All they sell are personal items and they claim on the website that these items are refundable. Very dishonest and underhanded.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

I made a purchase December 6, 2021 for a thermal printer I thought was for receipts but it was not what I wanted after seeing a more elaborate product description on Amazon for the same item. On December 8, 2021 I tried contacting Sharper Image on how to return the item and I was directed to their FAQ for Returns. One option was to reject the package. Which I intended to do but the mail system these days don’t ring bells, they just throw packages up on the porch. So when I saw the package I took it back to the post office and marked it “Return to Sender.” That was on December 11, 2021. It is now December 27, 2021 and I still have no return receipt status and no refund.

I attempted to contact Sharper Image several time prior to 12/27/2021 through phone and only keeps you on hold for hours. So I sent an email and after 3 emails no response. I finally got a response on December 21, 2021 and Michelle stated that once the warehouse receives the return it takes 5-7 days to process a refund. However, it’s December 27, 2021 and I still have no refund and no update on the receipt of the return.

This company is far from anything decent. I just want my money back. It does not take this long to receive a return back and process a refund. Especially when they shipping my order on 12/8/21 and it was delivered on 12/11/21. The return time should be the same for the most part. I’ve returned things in the mail to other companies after I did this company’s return and I’ve already received those refunds. So what is up with this company.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

Ten days before Christmas, I ordered a product from Sharper Image for my 5 year old nephew. I paid extra for what the website explicitly called “Holiday Shipping.” Two days after placing the order, I received the tracking info that said the gift would arrive on 12/28 - three days AFTER the holiday. I immediately called customer service and explained the situation, and both the initial rep and the “supervisor” told me there was nothing they could do. I told them I paid for holiday shipping and asked what “Holiday Shipping” meant, and the supervisor said “that just means anytime in December.” I then asked him if that’s truly what he believed, just as a human and not a customer service lackey, and he finally agreed it was misleading. However, he continued to say there was nothing he could do.

I asked for a full refund, or a refund of the enhanced shipping, or comp overnight shipping, or they could send something else - and they refused any request I had to fix it. The “supervisor” said he’s “escalate” my complaint, and I’ve never heard back. Mistakes and shipping delays happen. But that’s not what this was: the website STILL says pay extra and get your product by Christmas. THEY ARE LYING. And when they ruin some kid’s Christmas, they won’t care and they’ll tell you “Holiday Shipping” just means sometime before President’s Day. It’s tough to swallow such repressive mistreatment of customers.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I bought something through their catalog. I later didn't want it. Trying to get anyone to answer the phone for a return is impossible. On hold for 2 hours then hung up. All emails have been ignored. BEWARE buying anything from Sharper Image. They have become a shady company.

Original review: July 21, 2021

In the beginning of Spokane, WA heatwave purchased the evaporative cooler on a Friday and paid for overnight shipping for $249.50. Saturday came and no shipment! Checked online to learn purchase hadn't even been recorded. Checked the shipping schedule to learn they don't ship on weekends!? Had to borrow a loaner a/c from apartment maintenance thankfully as apartment was 95f for three days. Tried to cancel order several different ways but No Customer Service! I refused the shipment. They only returned a partial return of $177 leaving $67 owed. Called bank and disputed only to learn that Sharper Image only has to return a partial payment by law!? WTF? SO they know this and make money off of all shipping returns and there ain't nothing to do about it!

Sharper Image author review by Jonathan Trout

Sharper Image is an American retailer that sells home electronics, outdoor living, high-tech and personal care products. It has a line of over 10 massage chairs that feature different looks, massage settings and technology. Massage chairs from Sharper Image range in prices from $499 to $ 9,000.

• Human Touch iJoy Active 2.0: At $499, this is the cheapest massage chair Sharper Image offers. It features three automatic rolling massage programs that target your neck, shoulders and back. The massage programs knead your back in small, circular motion, side-to-side motions and rolling motions. It lets you recline up to 45 degrees.

• Human Touch Zero-Gravity 5.0: The Zero-Gravity 5.0 reclines into a full zero-gravity position to provide optimal comfort. It features manual and pre-programmed modes and Sharper Image’s 3D FlexGlide engine to simulate professional massage techniques. The remote control lets you control the foot, seat and heated back massage all at once or independently. This chair retails for $2,999.

• Shiatsu Massage chair: This chair combines deep kneading massage with power lift technology to help you relax and assist you with getting in and out of the chair. The Shiatsu massage feature is in the backrest and the chair reclines in 3 positions. The Shiatsu massage chair costs $2,000.

• Perfect Sense: The Perfect Sense massage chair has 61 air bags that massage your upper and lower arms, back, buttocks and legs. It features an automatic detection function that micro-adjusts to your body's curves. You can choose a manual, automatic or programmed massage function that features six different types of massage. This chair retails for $9,000.

• Human Touch Novo XT: This chair is designed to help athletes and professionals recover from strenuous workouts and work days. The massage tracks in this chair cover up to 60 percent more of your back than other massage chairs. It has five high-intensity settings so you can customize the pressure. Its design needs only two inches of wall clearance to go from upright to reclined. The Novo XT costs $8,000.

• Other products: Sharper Image sells a wide variety of other products like personal care, outdoor living, travel and auto, toys and games and more. Check their website for details and pricing information on all of their products.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team