Sharper Image

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased two items as Christmas gifts. When received, both were not the quality I expected. Tried to return and WHAT A HASSLE! First, I paid for my OWN return postage through the USPS. Second, once they got my return, they only credited me for one item even though I had returned two (in the same box). 2 calls to CS later and they FINALLY got it straight. Once I got my $$ returned, they shorted me $8.00 for "postage"... even though I had paid my OWN postage to return. Will NEVER buy at Sharper Image ever again and will share my experience with as many people as I can. Buyer beware!!

I have purchased the wireless tv headphones and the sound, when it works is of an old AM station static quality. The bluetooth wireless earbuds only connect one side. Anyways all products purchased from this brand did not work or worked poorly. Not a worth product to buy or gift.

Sharper Image offers cash back to be used on a future order. Cash back insinuates that it can be applied as a form of payment on your next order. Upon receipt of your cash back email, it describes that this is a form of payment and to use it in the gift certificate field. However, once you do that, if you use a promo code such as free shipping, an error is provided that you can only use one promo discount per order. This is very misleading as everyone who's ever received cash back believes it is a form of payment to be applied and discounts can be applied too, like any other order (payment minus discounts). This is really false advertising in my opinion and I'm very surprised there's not been anything done about it. It lures you into purchasing now to get cash back on a future order, but it isn't cash back.

Per their own terms, it does state it is a form of payment and does not state that it is considered a promo and other promo codes cannot be used, for example, free shipping codes. Here is the verbiage: "Cash Back: Receive a 20% cash back coupon on your purchase. Qualifying orders must be $99 or more, excluding taxes and shipping charges. Cash Back coupons can be used as a payment method for a future purchase. Cash Back coupons are limited to the first $1,000 of merchandise purchased. Coupons are issued via email within 2 business days after the order ships. Coupons may be redeemed through 1/31/17. Offer expires 12/23/16 at 5 PM EST."

When I attempted to apply a code for free shipping, and then my cash back gift certificate code, this error was received, note that NOW they call it a promotional gift certificate. Using the terms promotional gift certificate, coupon codes, and cash back interchangeably at different points in the qualifying, receiving, and applying process is totally misleading: "Sorry, your promotional gift certificate can't be used together with your promo code. Only one promotion per order. If you would like to use your promotional gift certificate on this order, please remove the promo code above." PURE BUNK, FALSE ADVERTISING, MISLEADING THE CONSUMER UPFRONT, BAIT & SWITCH.

SHARPER IMAGE does not stand behind their products. I called customer service about a problem with one of their products. They tell me that they don't have any information on that particular problem and that there is nothing that she can do for me. So guess what? Here's my wonderful review of what I think about SHARPER IMAGE. GO SCREW YOURSELF WITH THESE GARBAGE ASS PRODUCTS. Needless to say I still have my receipt and it will be going back to the store TODAY. PS. Very cheaply made products.

Ordered a hoverboard 2 weeks before Christmas. They guaranteed delivery before Christmas. I called 3 times a week before and they assure the items will come. 4 days before I got the tracking info with the delivery date 12/28. After 1 hour wait, somebody answer at the customer service and of course I got the "accept our apologies". I got the board on the 29th and it should have come with a card for $60 cash back which was advertised. Instead I got a code for a credit in their store that expires in 1 month (other false advertising). Altogether a horrible experience. Shame for a brand name.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharper Image?

I purchased an item on 12/20 for 2 day delivery. Never received a confirmation of shipment. I called and was on hold for two hours on 12/21. Sent a email requesting item to cancelled if it wasn't shipped. Still nothing. Emailed again on 12/22 and 12/23. At 6pm on 12/23 received a email stating my order would be shipped and received by 12/30. Customer service line was closed so emailed again that order needs to be cancelled. (It was present). Then on 12/26 received shipping notice.

When I finally got through to customer service I was told that email isn't a good form of notification even though it is an option. I told the customer service rep that I needed the order pulled and I was not paying for shipping. She said basically "returns are free so not sure why you are upset." Upset because I paid for two day shipping for a gift that was never received. Was told a supervisor would handle but don't have confidence that is going to happen. I will be disputing with credit card company. Horrible service.

Their website currently lists their holiday shipping dates as the following: Holiday Express: Must order by Tuesday, 12/20 @ 11:59 PM EST for Christmas Delivery; 2-Day Air: Must order by Wednesday, 12/21 @ 5 PM EST for Christmas Delivery; Next Day Air: Must order by Friday, 12/23 @ 5 PM EST for Christmas Delivery. My order was placed Tuesday, 12/20 @ 2:30 PM EST and guaranteed to reach me for Christmas Delivery. 2 days after ordering, I had still yet to receive a confirmation email that my order had shipped. Upon contacting Customer Service, I was informed that my order would not be reaching me until "between the 26th and 28th" due to "delays at the shipping warehouse." Upon asking if that meant all 2-Day Air and Next Day Air orders were delayed, I was simply told "no".

As a result, I asked today (Thursday, 12/22) to simply be upgraded to Next Day Air in order to get the gift in time. I was told that "The Next Day Air shipping option is at its capacity for the holiday" and countered with 10% off my order. How dare a company "guarantee" shipping for Christmas and not only fail to meet the deadline that you paid extra for, but refuse to make it right? No wonder these guys had to cease operations 8 years ago and be resurrected. 1.1 rating here, 1.0 on another site. You would think after hundreds of negative reviews like mine were posted on reputable sites such as ConsumerAffairs, that they would finally shape up. Right. What an absolute freaking farce of a company. It's a modern miracle that they're even in business.

Called to add a gift message to an order I placed minutes before. They are unable to add a gift message and told me I had to cancel the order then go back and repurchase the item online in order to add a gift message. I said, "ridiculous!" But agreed. Then she put me on hold while she told someone I was cancelling the order. I asked her to email me confirmation number for order that was cancelled. She said they don't send emails and they had no confirmation number to give me. I asked her how is that possible and not that I don't trust her but that all companies of their size have the ability to give you something showing that the order was cancelled. I said "its 80.00 and am I just supposed to go on your word". She said yes, I watched the "lady type it in to cancel the order".

I can't believe a company of this size cannot send emails out with confirmations and that they couldn't edit an order and attach a message to the item. I told her to please pass these concerns along. She could have cared less. I then told her they lost my sale because they can't seem to service their customers. Awful experience, sad when it is a company that has built their reputation on being forward thinking and having the latest greatest everything. They need to get the latest greatest point of purchase web software that can do the two tasks that were requested. Simple simple customer service features that nowadays almost every ecommerce platform has.

Faulty product - stopped working one week after arrival. The power button ceased to function within a week of receipt. Sharper Image refuses to accept returns of "personal care items", which make up the majority of their inventory. A phone call to their customer service department revealed that they only take calls during the week (M-F). Product is extremely low quality plastic, and apparently poor grade electronic components. I am sorry I chose to do business with this firm, and will search elsewhere for future purchases.

I see that Sharper Image has a no return policy if I opened a product to try it. I don't like the product and tried to return it - no returns accepted for opened merchandise. How can Sharper Image expect people to try out a travel pillow still in the box - unopened. I will no longer buy from Sharper Image. Very poor customer service policies.

I purchased Sharper Image hoverboard for my son for Christmas. After he opened the present, we realized the charger did not work. After about 1 1/2 months of trying to get a replacement, countless emails and phone calls with little to no responses, we got our money back. I actually wanted to give them another shot and get the replacement hoverboard, but after how terrible the service was, we decided to stay away from anything Sharper Image. I tried to write a review warning others of the poor service and faulty battery, only to have it never get through their moderators and onto their website reviews. A couple months later and after 5 minutes of digging, I realized I couldn't find any poor reviews on their website. It seems they filter all the reviews below a 4 out of 5 so no one ever sees them.

Terrible service and shady business practices.

Purchased 2 Christmas projector lights for front yard in Nov 2015. One didn't work and we called for a replacement. We were told they were sold out and a return shipping label would be sent to us. A week later the second projector light stopped working and we still had no return label. Called multiple times and finally on Jan 20th we got the labels. Items were promptly returned and we got a message on Jan 28rd that our returned items were received and we should expect a refund in 3-5 days. On Feb 5th we called them because the refund never happened. We were told to expect a call back in 24 hours. We never got a call back so we called them 22 more times in the following three weeks without any call back. Luckily we had paid with PayPal, so we filed a dispute with PayPal. We got a refund today. I expect a lot of people would have just giving up and let the $270 go, not us. We will never purchase from Sharper Image again!

I ordered 4 sets of pillow cases and was charged for them. I received one set. I called to report and was told the other three sets would be sent. I received one more set. I called to report and was told someone would get back to me within 24 hours. That never happened. I called four more times, waiting a week between each call and was told the same thing every time. Only an answering service ever answers and no one ever called me back. I also sent 3 emails and received automatically generated responses saying that someone would contact me within 24 hours. Again, that never happened. I am out the money with nothing to show for it. Sharper Image appears to have NO customer service at all.

I ordered a piece of exercise equipment from the Sharper Image online on 2-14-16. I received the item about a week later. It was defective. It did not work at all like the video on The Sharper Image showed. I sent the product back within 1 day of receiving it, using The Sharper Image's self service return page. I also spoke with three of The Sharper Image's customer service specialists explaining that the product was defective and that I fully expected my shipping costs back.

On 2-22-16 between 3:20pm and 3:40pm central time, I spoke with Shannon, an online customer service specialist, who promised that my shipping costs would be fully refunded since the item was absolutely defective. I received my refund on 3-2-16 and it was in the amount of $177 which is missing my $50 in shipping. The refund should have been $222.98. I have called customer service for two days and have been told that no specialists are available due to technical issues. I was told to call back tomorrow, yet again today. I was also told I would be called back in 24 hours 48 hours ago. I also cannot send emails to customer service as they are returned as non deliverable. I have spoke to about four different people from customer service but they all say they are not specialists and that they cannot help or contact someone who could. In addition, no managers are available.

This is bad business. The Sharper Image was dishonest about my shipping being refunded. I even called a second time, before I actually received the refund, to verify that my account was noted. I was told that my account was indeed noted that all shipping would be refunded. What company has no way to reach customer service specialists or at least a manager for periods of days, during business hours? It's shady to say the least. 0 stars out of 5.

Bought my hoverboard Black Friday. First the gears started making the board "catch". I took it back to retail store and was told they cannot exchange or replace for same price. I contact Sharper Image they said they'd replace but never sent box. Then I read on website they will not take responsibility for items not purchased directly from them. We put WD-40 on gears, they seemed to work. Yesterday started doing same thing... slowing down, jerking. Then earlier today it completely cut off, threw my young son across the room. A sudden stop at 12mph can do that. I wonder if a lawsuit will get their attention. It is defective enough to cause physical harm but will not replace a three month old item I paid $350 for. I bought at Kohl's but Sharper Image provides warranty. I have a hurt child and neither company will fix, replace or refund for the thing. I'm frustrated and irate.

I purchased 3 items for Christmas for my wife. One of the items was electronic and did not work. I have now made 10 phone calls to try and initiate an exchange. It took 6 calls just to get someone to send me a return address. I even offered to send the item back with me paying the freight but they would not give me a return authorization number. Today, after 4 more phone calls, I finally got someone to look into my order and check to see if they received the defective item back. They did receive it about 10 days ago but they could not tell me if a new replacement item was going to be sent to me. I'm betting I will need to make several more phone calls just to receive my exchange. This is the poorest customer service company I have ever dealt with.

Saw the heated slipper ad online and purchased them. They arrived within a week, however have not worked... Followed instructions to the letter concerning charging batteries etc. but no luck. Contacted Sharper Image to return defective product, advised that it was a personal product and could not return. Nothing in ad when purchased regarding the return policy. If it was there I would not have purchased the item as there is no guarantee that the product will work as advertised. Would never again purchase anything from Sharper Image, it's a rip off.

I returned an item in December. Sharper Image confirmed they received it from Fed Ex on 12/16/15. I have not received my refund of $217.94 - almost 2 months later. I have called several times and told it was being processed. I have written emails and received an auto response that I would hear from them within 48 hours - nothing. The customer service group tells me they "are really backed up". It's been TWO months. Can I please, please, please have my money back now? At least acknowledge all the calls, messages, emails I have sent?

I ordered a backrest massage unit. Couldn't track it but email customer service and it arrived next day. I took it out of box, only back part still covered in plastic wrap. It was very uncomfortable. I didn't even take plug or put armrest on back part, overhead reading lamp still wrapped in plastic! Tried to get return label online. States personal item cannot be return. Look I know there are people out there that use things and then return them in poor condition. I am not one. Customer service when called took all information and said someone will call me. Very rude on phone and no information nor did she care! Read everything prior to purchase from this company, better go check it out first if possible.

I received an item that was defective. I contacted Sharper Image telling them I am not paying for shipping since the item was defective and to please send me a label that will not deduct the shipping charges. After (6) phone calls, I finally received my label. I returned the item and I received an email stating the refund I was getting and they still took out money for shipping after all the hassle I went through to get a label. They are dishonest people and the managers and supervisors should be ashamed of themselves. Sharper Image is a well-known company. I can't believe they treat their customers like this. They are stealing our money! Whoever owns the company needs to take a good look at who they're hiring and who is running their company. I will not order from them anymore and I will pass the word on to everyone I know.

Same as other reviews-- go online. They tell you it is accepted and processed and then "bingo". They have a problem and you will have to contact them or they lie and say "someone will contact you". I received merchandise for Christmas and it was not anything like what the description was. I have been trying to return for a month. No supervisor available and no one in customer service. "We will call you back" and "we will email you". I also just realized a lamp I ordered is defective and I am having the same problem. Horrible. How can we get the word out.

I have a pizza box oven that I purchased as a Christmas gift but am trying to return it. For 3 weeks their online return site has been down. Several call to customer service where they said would send me a return label (2 1/2 weeks later I'm still waiting for the label). Today customer service told me they're having problems and can't even get on their computers. What a rip off. Do not buy anything from Sharper Image. If you don't like it, you won't be able to return it and there are no longer any physical stores.

Before Christmas they had an ad that guaranteed arrival before or on Christmas. I ordered. The item arrived AFTER Christmas. We did not want it so we have been trying to return it. We were told to get the "return label" online. That part of the site does not work. Has not since 1/1/2016. So I called. The CS Rep said she would send out a label right away. Over a week later I still have not rec'd it. They will not disclose the location for the returns. Seem to be giving everyone the run-around.

I ordered a heated neck massager for my elderly mother. The massager: too stiff and motor too loud to be comfortable. I made several frustrating phone calls to customer service line to get the free FedEx return label sent to me. Since it was a personal care item, told it could not be returned for credit but would be e-mailed a merchandise voucher to buy something else. I have verification Sharper Image received my item, but have ever been e-mailed a merchandise voucher. There is another item my mother prefers, so that is not an issue. However, I have called about 10 times over 2 weeks only to be transferred again and again in a circle until I end up back at a person who "will take my name and number so someone can call me back". I have been home and never have been "called back". Disgusted. Sharper Image is obviously taking my the item, money and time. Do not order from this company.

On 12/29/15, Sharper Image received my returns. After 5 phone calls and over two hours on the phone, it is 1/22/16 and I still do not have my refund. The items were returned as they were received. I even spoke to a supervisor and still no refund!! I wish I'd read this site before shopping there!

I highly urge you not to do business with Sharper Image. I ordered something 60 days ago and returned it. They have not refunded my $400 at this point. I have spent hours on the phone with them and keep getting transferred. Then they tell me it will be in a day or two. Also they have hung up on me as well. Do Not Do Business With Sharper Image.

Not having purchased anything from sharper image for several years I was looking forward to receiving items I saw in their catalog... What a great disappointment! The items were somewhat different and of less quality than they photographed. I went to their system, got a return label, sent them back on December 8. Tracking showed that they were received on December 14 and since that time I have made over 10 calls attempting to get a refund. It is now January 18 and I'm still waiting!

They employ an unsatisfactory customer service system that continually puts you into a triage department rather than sending you to the refund and exchange department. They promise to call you back in two hours and never do. You believe you're speaking w/ a person that can actually expedite your concern but it's purely a smokescreen. This experience has been so destructive to their integrity that I will NEVER again shop with Sharper Image. In contrast, shopping w/ Amazon, all return issues are immediately resolved. Just a Warning.

Sharper Image has very poor customer service, as other reviewers have stated. I purchased an Infrared Heating Pad for my father for Christmas ($150!), and it failed after only 3 uses. Sharper Image kept just sending auto replies, or I would reach someone and be told they'd be in touch, but then nothing. After a week they told me they could not accept an open box.

A product failing after 3 uses is definitely the seller's problem. Any other reputable company would have sent me a replacement next day air. It's been 3 weeks and I'm still dealing with Sharper Image. I was told to send it back to the manufacturer, who now tells me they "cannot guarantee replacement" and will have to inspect it. I feel as though Sharper Image and the manufacturer, Venture Heat, are scamming me out of a very expensive purchase. If you have any problems with a product, just know that Sharper Image does not stand behind their products and customer service is very difficult to reach/deal with. Purchase your products elsewhere!

I think Sharper Image must be about to fold. There can be no other explanation for their completely giving up on any effort to provide any customer service. I ordered some items as Christmas gifts on December 21 with delivery guaranteed by Dec. 24th at the place I was visiting. They did not come by the time I left on December 26th. I've sent numerous emails since to try to get the products delivered and have been completely and totally ignored (other than one canned response that they would get back to me right away -- which they did not). I've never seen such a prominent business treat customers so badly. I would not buy from them in a million years. They should not be in business. .

Resolving a defective item becomes a true ordeal with Sharper Image. Its "customer service" is a circular, promises-only hell-hole, which continually re-routes everywhere EXCEPT to somebody who can actually do anything to resolve an issue. I have spend two weeks trying to get a discount or receive a replacement part on a $500 item... The manufacturer itself is easier to get a hold of than the retailer. I am beginning to think that disputing the charge on my credit card may be the only way to get it fixed. You've been warned... stay away!

Sharper Image Company Profile