1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 23, 2018

399 Sharper Image Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 23, 2018

Ordered this item to block out my sounds when I sleep, this doesn't work at all, very disappointed. Was more disappointed in the return. It says all over the website free shipping and free returns. This was not the case, beware of what it says on the website, called customer service and they said they were doing me a favor by returning this item as supposedly it is not returnable but yet it did not say this anywhere on my order when placed and it said free returns and now I was charged to ship to me (was supposed to be free) and now getting charged to return (was supposed to be free). I will not order from this company again!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I ordered a product Feb3, was given 2/8 as delivery date, then 2/9, then 2/12. Now is the 17th & nothing!! I’ve emailed & talked to customer service & was told I’d receive it shortly & told I’d be receiving a gift cert through email but again nothing!! Of course the payment was collected, I am so angry about being moused around. I do not ever intend to purchase from this company again & I will dissuade as many as I can from doing so.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I originally purchased a Sharper Image speaker at Kohl's. Two months went by and darn thing stopped working. Contacted Sharper Image and replaced it for free. Well now using this replacement speaker that I have had less than 6 months. I had to call 4 different numbers for them to say, "Sorry we only give you 90 days to get another." Therefore I do not recommend this product. Was not cheap and the quality was not the greatest of sound. Lesson learned I'm going to research now the best Bluetooth speaker out there.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

On January 2, 2018, I ordered a pair of TV wireless headphones model # 204919-01. On the box it specifically says works for all TV's. Upon receiving them on January 10, 2018, I went to install them on my Samsung Model # UN55MU6490F TV manufactured in October of 2017. After a few minutes of trying to hook them up, I realized that it was missing a critical piece. The A/V to fiber optic converter. So of course I looked through the box again to make sure I hadn't overlooked any parts or pieces. I re-read the instructions just to make sure I didn't miss something. I hadn't overlooked any missing pieces and again said right on the box "Works for all TV's". The following day, I called and spoke to a representative that said the AV to fiber optic converter should have been in the box and that they were sorry.

She told me that they would have the converter delivered to me within 5 to 7 business days. I told her the only reason I ordered them online was because I was having neck surgery in 2 days and was the whole reason I even ordered them online. She assured me that they would be delivered by Friday January 12, 2018. At this point I was a little upset that I even had to go through this just to get them to fix their mistake, but at least she was trying to work with me. Needless to say they didn't show up until Tuesday January 16th and they only sent a fiber optic cable, not the Audio/Video to fiber optic converter that they had promised me. Of course now I am a little more than upset, I just had 3 of my discs in my neck replaced and still having to deal with this stuff. So I called again today, January 17, 2018. Tyra the manager was less than compassionate or understanding.

All I wanted was for them to make it right and send me what should have been sent to me in the first place. She said my only options were to send it back and once they received the old pair, they would send me out a new pair. I asked why they couldn't just make it right and send out the missing part which is only $13.89 and should have been included in the first place. She said that is not their policy and that she wouldn't be able to do anything for me until they received the original pair. All for an $13.89 adapter. The headphones I paid for were only $100.00 but where is their customer service? I just had major neck surgery and she wants me to somehow send them back. The only reason I bought the headphones online was because I couldn't get out of bed. If I could get out of bed, I would have went and bought them at Target, Walmart, or Bed Bath & Beyond.

I will NEVER buy any other Sharper Image products online or any store if this is the way they treat their customers. It didn't matter to them one way or the other if their box was falsely advertising or if I am bedridden because of my neck surgery, they already had my money and that is apparently all that matters to them. Customer satisfaction doesn't mean a thing to Sharper Image or their Representatives. I have never had a company that was so careless and unwilling to work with me. Thanks for nothing, Unhappy Customer.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I ordered a Christmas gift from Sharperimage.com intending to ship overnight. I chose to pay with PayPal but once I confirmed the dollar amount in PayPal they returned me to Sharper Image where the order had already been submitted! I was never given the option to review my order or select overnight shipping. I searched their site for a way to change it or cancel the order but there was no such thing.

I called them to get assistance but they were closed. This morning I called to get help only to find out it had already shipped, to the incorrect address (My PayPal address which is incorrect since I’ve moved and I haven’t updated it yet.) I will never receive that package now and they are completely unwilling to make the situation right. My only recourse is to pay for a new order. Spoke to a supervisor and still, they won’t budge. This is in no way my fault and they will not help fix the problem. This is the worst customer service I’ve ever had with an online order.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharper Image?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I first purchased the Autostop Tire Inflator as a Christmas gift for my boyfriend. I received it, then decided to get him the Virtual Reality headset instead. I went online to initiate the return, as per the directions on the packing slip. I get an email, from Sharper Image, addressed to some other person in the text, and although there's a reference to use the attached FedEx label, none was provided. I emailed customer service, and that started a CHAIN of emails back and forth, with Sharper Image asking me insane questions (Would you like to return the item? Would you like a FedEx label? Do you want a refund, or store credit?) basically asking the same things over and over even though I keep answering over and over. I finally gave up, and decided to keep it and give it to my boyfriend anyway, or keep it for myself. So, I order the Virtual Reality headset: I open the box and it's some other item (TV Wireless Headset). WTF.

I go online to initiate the return as per the instructions on the packing slip: When I choose that I want a FedEx label instead of returning on my own, I kept getting an error message that the return submission was unsuccessful. By the way, the dropdown is for either a refund to the original method of payment, or store credit. When I chose "Original Method of Payment" the dropdown box kept defaulting to store credit. Finally, after the 4th time, I chose that I would just use my own method of returning the item. Finally, I get the return authorization. I'm going to ensure that I get my refund on this, because I have a feeling I'm not going to get it. Luckily, a local store has the Sharper Image headset that I can purchase tomorrow AT A BETTER PRICE (it's on sale), but now I'm not even sure the quality will be worth anything!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I created an account for this just to write a review in hopes others would pay heed. I ordered 2 items from Sharper Image. 1 item came, 1 did not. Ended up returning the item that did come only to get a partial refund to ship it back. The second item that did not come: after about 4 different times calling and trying to get a replacement, I decided I was cutting too close to Christmas so I called yet again to have them just send me a refund. I GOT A PARTIAL REFUND FOR AN ITEM THAT WAS NEVER SENT TO ME, AND IN FACT WAS SOLD OUT. I am so appalled and disgusted. I will never even glance at this company again and will be telling everyone I know about my experience.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I ordered an expensive gift for my boyfriend for Christmas. For someone reason, during the order, the wrong address was placed in the system and it was shipped to San Diego. I now live in Napa. I contacted Sharper Image with regard to this issue and they pretty much told me there is nothing they can do since the package was delivered and that they would re-order the gift for me and charge me again! I contacted FedEx who was more than helpful to attempt to track down the package but unable to do so. The package is not at the delivered address and nowhere to be found. Sharper Image has terrible customer service and was less than helpful during this very stressful time. I will never purchase anything from this company again and I will encourage everyone I know to do the same.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Attempted to use the $36 I earned from a previous order, and was denied applying that earned amount. The representative informed me that because the company had a promotion of free shipping with a $60 dollar order and 20% off, they couldn't honor the cashback I had earned. There was nothing stating this restriction provided in the email which was sent to me with the code for my $36 cashback certificate. I've decided I will not do any further business with this company and have unsubscribed from any of their future emails.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

On Nov 16, 2017 I ordered the Wild West Shooter Set from Sharper Image. It was a birthday gift for my grandson. The listed toy did not say "back ordered" so I was confident that he'd receive it before his birthday even if took an extra 3 days to receive it. Here we continue to wait. Now the 28th and still no tracking so I just called Sharper Image and got the newest story from "Louella" that it is due in this week. They now promise expedited delivery but she admitted that the shipping is the usual 5-7 days after the shipment arrives! If you order a toy within a deadline, find another vendor and please don't spoil a child's Christmas waiting for something that they don't even have the courtesy to list as back ordered!

Original review: July 3, 2017

I purchased a Sharper Image DX2 Stunt Drone 2 days ago. On its second flight, I pressed the auto land button, and the drone just flew away on its own. I called the company and they didn't seem to care. In fact they didn't even bother asking for a model number (which will help them identify which warranty comes with the product) before declaring that my only option is to buy a new drone. I used to believe Sharper Image provided high quality innovative products. I am saddened to learn that they sell products of very poor quality and don't stand behind their products. I will not buy anything from Sharper Image again, and you shouldn't either.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Sharper image sells your information. Since making one purchase with them I've been inundated with catalogs and magazines for things that I have absolutely no interest in (...I'm not talking about Sharper Image's own publications, which by themselves are excessive). I've had to make countless phone calls to businesses asking to be removed from their mailing list, and when I ask where they got my information from, they've told me that it was from my Sharper Image purchase. I find this completely unethical, to exploit paying customers who trust you with their information. I will not be buying from them again.

Original review: May 2, 2017

All consumers, be forewarned. This company is a FRAUD. Save yourself the frustration, don't ever order from Sharper Image. Twice they charged my card for an order that was "shipped." When I checked the FedEx tracking number three days later, there was no information available. FedEx doesn't even have the tracking number. They will put fake FedEx tracking number so they can charge your credit card and you wait for nothing. Then they will give you a gift card that you can use only on their site, of course, and the cycle continues. Your card is charged again because the item has 'shipped,' then another fraudulent tracking number. You call again. And it's the same bs. That's my experience with Sharper Image. This company should go out of business.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I was told to put the gel pack in boiling water for 10 minutes after use to get it soft again. I have done this twice with my gel pack and it gets soft and once it cools off it gets hard again and cannot be used. It worked like a charm but once I wanted to use it again and put it in boiling water, it got soft again and I let it cool off and it got hard again and was not able to activate to make it hot. Not sure if there is anything I can do but wanted to warn others of this. This was not a cheap item and as of now it is of little or no use to me. Got it at Sam's Club during a special kiosk. Do not have an order number or a receipt. Probably screwed, but still upset that I spent all this money and now I have nothing.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I get an in-store credit for their mistake in sending me a package purchased for my son. I have to take the package to FedEx since they can drop off but not pick up. I don't want an in-store credit. I will not be buying from them again.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Purchased two items as Christmas gifts. When received, both were not the quality I expected. Tried to return and WHAT A HASSLE! First, I paid for my OWN return postage through the USPS. Second, once they got my return, they only credited me for one item even though I had returned two (in the same box). 2 calls to CS later and they FINALLY got it straight. Once I got my $$ returned, they shorted me $8.00 for "postage"... even though I had paid my OWN postage to return. Will NEVER buy at Sharper Image ever again and will share my experience with as many people as I can. Buyer beware!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

I have purchased the wireless tv headphones and the sound, when it works is of an old AM station static quality. The bluetooth wireless earbuds only connect one side. Anyways all products purchased from this brand did not work or worked poorly. Not a worth product to buy or gift.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

Sharper Image offers cash back to be used on a future order. Cash back insinuates that it can be applied as a form of payment on your next order. Upon receipt of your cash back email, it describes that this is a form of payment and to use it in the gift certificate field. However, once you do that, if you use a promo code such as free shipping, an error is provided that you can only use one promo discount per order. This is very misleading as everyone who's ever received cash back believes it is a form of payment to be applied and discounts can be applied too, like any other order (payment minus discounts). This is really false advertising in my opinion and I'm very surprised there's not been anything done about it. It lures you into purchasing now to get cash back on a future order, but it isn't cash back.

Per their own terms, it does state it is a form of payment and does not state that it is considered a promo and other promo codes cannot be used, for example, free shipping codes. Here is the verbiage: "Cash Back: Receive a 20% cash back coupon on your purchase. Qualifying orders must be $99 or more, excluding taxes and shipping charges. Cash Back coupons can be used as a payment method for a future purchase. Cash Back coupons are limited to the first $1,000 of merchandise purchased. Coupons are issued via email within 2 business days after the order ships. Coupons may be redeemed through 1/31/17. Offer expires 12/23/16 at 5 PM EST."

When I attempted to apply a code for free shipping, and then my cash back gift certificate code, this error was received, note that NOW they call it a promotional gift certificate. Using the terms promotional gift certificate, coupon codes, and cash back interchangeably at different points in the qualifying, receiving, and applying process is totally misleading: "Sorry, your promotional gift certificate can't be used together with your promo code. Only one promotion per order. If you would like to use your promotional gift certificate on this order, please remove the promo code above." PURE BUNK, FALSE ADVERTISING, MISLEADING THE CONSUMER UPFRONT, BAIT & SWITCH.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

SHARPER IMAGE does not stand behind their products. I called customer service about a problem with one of their products. They tell me that they don't have any information on that particular problem and that there is nothing that she can do for me. So guess what? Here's my wonderful review of what I think about SHARPER IMAGE. GO SCREW YOURSELF WITH THESE GARBAGE ASS PRODUCTS. Needless to say I still have my receipt and it will be going back to the store TODAY. PS. Very cheaply made products.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Ordered a hoverboard 2 weeks before Christmas. They guaranteed delivery before Christmas. I called 3 times a week before and they assure the items will come. 4 days before I got the tracking info with the delivery date 12/28. After 1 hour wait, somebody answer at the customer service and of course I got the "accept our apologies". I got the board on the 29th and it should have come with a card for $60 cash back which was advertised. Instead I got a code for a credit in their store that expires in 1 month (other false advertising). Altogether a horrible experience. Shame for a brand name.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I purchased an item on 12/20 for 2 day delivery. Never received a confirmation of shipment. I called and was on hold for two hours on 12/21. Sent a email requesting item to cancelled if it wasn't shipped. Still nothing. Emailed again on 12/22 and 12/23. At 6pm on 12/23 received a email stating my order would be shipped and received by 12/30. Customer service line was closed so emailed again that order needs to be cancelled. (It was present). Then on 12/26 received shipping notice.

When I finally got through to customer service I was told that email isn't a good form of notification even though it is an option. I told the customer service rep that I needed the order pulled and I was not paying for shipping. She said basically "returns are free so not sure why you are upset." Upset because I paid for two day shipping for a gift that was never received. Was told a supervisor would handle but don't have confidence that is going to happen. I will be disputing with credit card company. Horrible service.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

Their website currently lists their holiday shipping dates as the following: Holiday Express: Must order by Tuesday, 12/20 @ 11:59 PM EST for Christmas Delivery; 2-Day Air: Must order by Wednesday, 12/21 @ 5 PM EST for Christmas Delivery; Next Day Air: Must order by Friday, 12/23 @ 5 PM EST for Christmas Delivery. My order was placed Tuesday, 12/20 @ 2:30 PM EST and guaranteed to reach me for Christmas Delivery. 2 days after ordering, I had still yet to receive a confirmation email that my order had shipped. Upon contacting Customer Service, I was informed that my order would not be reaching me until "between the 26th and 28th" due to "delays at the shipping warehouse." Upon asking if that meant all 2-Day Air and Next Day Air orders were delayed, I was simply told "no".

As a result, I asked today (Thursday, 12/22) to simply be upgraded to Next Day Air in order to get the gift in time. I was told that "The Next Day Air shipping option is at its capacity for the holiday" and countered with 10% off my order. How dare a company "guarantee" shipping for Christmas and not only fail to meet the deadline that you paid extra for, but refuse to make it right? No wonder these guys had to cease operations 8 years ago and be resurrected. 1.1 rating here, 1.0 on another site. You would think after hundreds of negative reviews like mine were posted on reputable sites such as ConsumerAffairs, that they would finally shape up. Right. What an absolute freaking farce of a company. It's a modern miracle that they're even in business.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2016

Called to add a gift message to an order I placed minutes before. They are unable to add a gift message and told me I had to cancel the order then go back and repurchase the item online in order to add a gift message. I said, "ridiculous!" But agreed. Then she put me on hold while she told someone I was cancelling the order. I asked her to email me confirmation number for order that was cancelled. She said they don't send emails and they had no confirmation number to give me. I asked her how is that possible and not that I don't trust her but that all companies of their size have the ability to give you something showing that the order was cancelled. I said "its 80.00 and am I just supposed to go on your word". She said yes, I watched the "lady type it in to cancel the order".

I can't believe a company of this size cannot send emails out with confirmations and that they couldn't edit an order and attach a message to the item. I told her to please pass these concerns along. She could have cared less. I then told her they lost my sale because they can't seem to service their customers. Awful experience, sad when it is a company that has built their reputation on being forward thinking and having the latest greatest everything. They need to get the latest greatest point of purchase web software that can do the two tasks that were requested. Simple simple customer service features that nowadays almost every ecommerce platform has.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

Faulty product - stopped working one week after arrival. The power button ceased to function within a week of receipt. Sharper Image refuses to accept returns of "personal care items", which make up the majority of their inventory. A phone call to their customer service department revealed that they only take calls during the week (M-F). Product is extremely low quality plastic, and apparently poor grade electronic components. I am sorry I chose to do business with this firm, and will search elsewhere for future purchases.

Original review: April 22, 2016

I see that Sharper Image has a no return policy if I opened a product to try it. I don't like the product and tried to return it - no returns accepted for opened merchandise. How can Sharper Image expect people to try out a travel pillow still in the box - unopened. I will no longer buy from Sharper Image. Very poor customer service policies.

Original review: March 23, 2016 I purchased Sharper Image hoverboard for my son for Christmas. After he opened the present, we realized the charger did not work. After about 1 1/2 months of trying to get a replacement, countless emails and phone calls with little to no responses, we got our money back. I actually wanted to give them another shot and get the replacement hoverboard, but after how terrible the service was, we decided to stay away from anything Sharper Image. I tried to write a review warning others of the poor service and faulty battery, only to have it never get through their moderators and onto their website reviews. A couple months later and after 5 minutes of digging, I realized I couldn't find any poor reviews on their website. It seems they filter all the reviews below a 4 out of 5 so no one ever sees them.

Terrible service and shady business practices.

Original review: March 10, 2016

Purchased 2 Christmas projector lights for front yard in Nov 2015. One didn't work and we called for a replacement. We were told they were sold out and a return shipping label would be sent to us. A week later the second projector light stopped working and we still had no return label. Called multiple times and finally on Jan 20th we got the labels. Items were promptly returned and we got a message on Jan 28rd that our returned items were received and we should expect a refund in 3-5 days. On Feb 5th we called them because the refund never happened. We were told to expect a call back in 24 hours. We never got a call back so we called them 22 more times in the following three weeks without any call back. Luckily we had paid with PayPal, so we filed a dispute with PayPal. We got a refund today. I expect a lot of people would have just giving up and let the $270 go, not us. We will never purchase from Sharper Image again!

Original review: March 7, 2016

I ordered 4 sets of pillow cases and was charged for them. I received one set. I called to report and was told the other three sets would be sent. I received one more set. I called to report and was told someone would get back to me within 24 hours. That never happened. I called four more times, waiting a week between each call and was told the same thing every time. Only an answering service ever answers and no one ever called me back. I also sent 3 emails and received automatically generated responses saying that someone would contact me within 24 hours. Again, that never happened. I am out the money with nothing to show for it. Sharper Image appears to have NO customer service at all.

Original review: March 3, 2016

I ordered a piece of exercise equipment from the Sharper Image online on 2-14-16. I received the item about a week later. It was defective. It did not work at all like the video on The Sharper Image showed. I sent the product back within 1 day of receiving it, using The Sharper Image's self service return page. I also spoke with three of The Sharper Image's customer service specialists explaining that the product was defective and that I fully expected my shipping costs back.

On 2-22-16 between 3:20pm and 3:40pm central time, I spoke with Shannon, an online customer service specialist, who promised that my shipping costs would be fully refunded since the item was absolutely defective. I received my refund on 3-2-16 and it was in the amount of $177 which is missing my $50 in shipping. The refund should have been $222.98. I have called customer service for two days and have been told that no specialists are available due to technical issues. I was told to call back tomorrow, yet again today. I was also told I would be called back in 24 hours 48 hours ago. I also cannot send emails to customer service as they are returned as non deliverable. I have spoke to about four different people from customer service but they all say they are not specialists and that they cannot help or contact someone who could. In addition, no managers are available.

This is bad business. The Sharper Image was dishonest about my shipping being refunded. I even called a second time, before I actually received the refund, to verify that my account was noted. I was told that my account was indeed noted that all shipping would be refunded. What company has no way to reach customer service specialists or at least a manager for periods of days, during business hours? It's shady to say the least. 0 stars out of 5.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2016

Bought my hoverboard Black Friday. First the gears started making the board "catch". I took it back to retail store and was told they cannot exchange or replace for same price. I contact Sharper Image they said they'd replace but never sent box. Then I read on website they will not take responsibility for items not purchased directly from them. We put WD-40 on gears, they seemed to work. Yesterday started doing same thing... slowing down, jerking. Then earlier today it completely cut off, threw my young son across the room. A sudden stop at 12mph can do that. I wonder if a lawsuit will get their attention. It is defective enough to cause physical harm but will not replace a three month old item I paid $350 for. I bought at Kohl's but Sharper Image provides warranty. I have a hurt child and neither company will fix, replace or refund for the thing. I'm frustrated and irate.

Sharper Image expert review by Jonathan Trout

Sharper Image is an American retailer that sells home electronics, outdoor living, high-tech and personal care products. It has a line of over 10 massage chairs that feature different looks, massage settings and technology. Massage chairs from Sharper Image range in prices from $499 to $ 9,000.

• Human Touch iJoy Active 2.0: At $499, this is the cheapest massage chair Sharper Image offers. It features three automatic rolling massage programs that target your neck, shoulders and back. The massage programs knead your back in small, circular motion, side-to-side motions and rolling motions. It lets you recline up to 45 degrees.

• Human Touch Zero-Gravity 5.0: The Zero-Gravity 5.0 reclines into a full zero-gravity position to provide optimal comfort. It features manual and pre-programmed modes and Sharper Image’s 3D FlexGlide engine to simulate professional massage techniques. The remote control lets you control the foot, seat and heated back massage all at once or independently. This chair retails for $2,999.

• Shiatsu Massage chair: This chair combines deep kneading massage with power lift technology to help you relax and assist you with getting in and out of the chair. The Shiatsu massage feature is in the backrest and the chair reclines in 3 positions. The Shiatsu massage chair costs $2,000.

• Perfect Sense: The Perfect Sense massage chair has 61 air bags that massage your upper and lower arms, back, buttocks and legs. It features an automatic detection function that micro-adjusts to your body's curves. You can choose a manual, automatic or programmed massage function that features six different types of massage. This chair retails for $9,000.

• Human Touch Novo XT: This chair is designed to help athletes and professionals recover from strenuous workouts and work days. The massage tracks in this chair cover up to 60 percent more of your back than other massage chairs. It has five high-intensity settings so you can customize the pressure. Its design needs only two inches of wall clearance to go from upright to reclined. The Novo XT costs $8,000.

• Other products: Sharper Image sells a wide variety of other products like personal care, outdoor living, travel and auto, toys and games and more. Check their website for details and pricing information on all of their products.

• Best for: working professionals and athletes.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout