Sharper Image

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I see that Sharper Image has a no return policy if I opened a product to try it. I don't like the product and tried to return it - no returns accepted for opened merchandise. How can Sharper Image expect people to try out a travel pillow still in the box - unopened. I will no longer buy from Sharper Image. Very poor customer service policies.

I purchased Sharper Image hoverboard for my son for Christmas. After he opened the present, we realized the charger did not work. After about 1 1/2 months of trying to get a replacement, countless emails and phone calls with little to no responses, we got our money back. I actually wanted to give them another shot and get the replacement hoverboard, but after how terrible the service was, we decided to stay away from anything Sharper Image. I tried to write a review warning others of the poor service and faulty battery, only to have it never get through their moderators and onto their website reviews. A couple months later and after 5 minutes of digging, I realized I couldn't find any poor reviews on their website. It seems they filter all the reviews below a 4 out of 5 so no one ever sees them.

Terrible service and shady business practices.

Purchased 2 Christmas projector lights for front yard in Nov 2015. One didn't work and we called for a replacement. We were told they were sold out and a return shipping label would be sent to us. A week later the second projector light stopped working and we still had no return label. Called multiple times and finally on Jan 20th we got the labels. Items were promptly returned and we got a message on Jan 28rd that our returned items were received and we should expect a refund in 3-5 days. On Feb 5th we called them because the refund never happened. We were told to expect a call back in 24 hours. We never got a call back so we called them 22 more times in the following three weeks without any call back. Luckily we had paid with PayPal, so we filed a dispute with PayPal. We got a refund today. I expect a lot of people would have just giving up and let the $270 go, not us. We will never purchase from Sharper Image again!

I ordered 4 sets of pillow cases and was charged for them. I received one set. I called to report and was told the other three sets would be sent. I received one more set. I called to report and was told someone would get back to me within 24 hours. That never happened. I called four more times, waiting a week between each call and was told the same thing every time. Only an answering service ever answers and no one ever called me back. I also sent 3 emails and received automatically generated responses saying that someone would contact me within 24 hours. Again, that never happened. I am out the money with nothing to show for it. Sharper Image appears to have NO customer service at all.

I ordered a piece of exercise equipment from the Sharper Image online on 2-14-16. I received the item about a week later. It was defective. It did not work at all like the video on The Sharper Image showed. I sent the product back within 1 day of receiving it, using The Sharper Image's self service return page. I also spoke with three of The Sharper Image's customer service specialists explaining that the product was defective and that I fully expected my shipping costs back.

On 2-22-16 between 3:20pm and 3:40pm central time, I spoke with Shannon, an online customer service specialist, who promised that my shipping costs would be fully refunded since the item was absolutely defective. I received my refund on 3-2-16 and it was in the amount of $177 which is missing my $50 in shipping. The refund should have been $222.98. I have called customer service for two days and have been told that no specialists are available due to technical issues. I was told to call back tomorrow, yet again today. I was also told I would be called back in 24 hours 48 hours ago. I also cannot send emails to customer service as they are returned as non deliverable. I have spoke to about four different people from customer service but they all say they are not specialists and that they cannot help or contact someone who could. In addition, no managers are available.

This is bad business. The Sharper Image was dishonest about my shipping being refunded. I even called a second time, before I actually received the refund, to verify that my account was noted. I was told that my account was indeed noted that all shipping would be refunded. What company has no way to reach customer service specialists or at least a manager for periods of days, during business hours? It's shady to say the least. 0 stars out of 5.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharper Image?

Bought my hoverboard Black Friday. First the gears started making the board "catch". I took it back to retail store and was told they cannot exchange or replace for same price. I contact Sharper Image they said they'd replace but never sent box. Then I read on website they will not take responsibility for items not purchased directly from them. We put WD-40 on gears, they seemed to work. Yesterday started doing same thing... slowing down, jerking. Then earlier today it completely cut off, threw my young son across the room. A sudden stop at 12mph can do that. I wonder if a lawsuit will get their attention. It is defective enough to cause physical harm but will not replace a three month old item I paid $350 for. I bought at Kohl's but Sharper Image provides warranty. I have a hurt child and neither company will fix, replace or refund for the thing. I'm frustrated and irate.

I purchased 3 items for Christmas for my wife. One of the items was electronic and did not work. I have now made 10 phone calls to try and initiate an exchange. It took 6 calls just to get someone to send me a return address. I even offered to send the item back with me paying the freight but they would not give me a return authorization number. Today, after 4 more phone calls, I finally got someone to look into my order and check to see if they received the defective item back. They did receive it about 10 days ago but they could not tell me if a new replacement item was going to be sent to me. I'm betting I will need to make several more phone calls just to receive my exchange. This is the poorest customer service company I have ever dealt with.

Saw the heated slipper ad online and purchased them. They arrived within a week, however have not worked... Followed instructions to the letter concerning charging batteries etc. but no luck. Contacted Sharper Image to return defective product, advised that it was a personal product and could not return. Nothing in ad when purchased regarding the return policy. If it was there I would not have purchased the item as there is no guarantee that the product will work as advertised. Would never again purchase anything from Sharper Image, it's a rip off.

I returned an item in December. Sharper Image confirmed they received it from Fed Ex on 12/16/15. I have not received my refund of $217.94 - almost 2 months later. I have called several times and told it was being processed. I have written emails and received an auto response that I would hear from them within 48 hours - nothing. The customer service group tells me they "are really backed up". It's been TWO months. Can I please, please, please have my money back now? At least acknowledge all the calls, messages, emails I have sent?

I ordered a backrest massage unit. Couldn't track it but email customer service and it arrived next day. I took it out of box, only back part still covered in plastic wrap. It was very uncomfortable. I didn't even take plug or put armrest on back part, overhead reading lamp still wrapped in plastic! Tried to get return label online. States personal item cannot be return. Look I know there are people out there that use things and then return them in poor condition. I am not one. Customer service when called took all information and said someone will call me. Very rude on phone and no information nor did she care! Read everything prior to purchase from this company, better go check it out first if possible.

I received an item that was defective. I contacted Sharper Image telling them I am not paying for shipping since the item was defective and to please send me a label that will not deduct the shipping charges. After (6) phone calls, I finally received my label. I returned the item and I received an email stating the refund I was getting and they still took out money for shipping after all the hassle I went through to get a label. They are dishonest people and the managers and supervisors should be ashamed of themselves. Sharper Image is a well-known company. I can't believe they treat their customers like this. They are stealing our money! Whoever owns the company needs to take a good look at who they're hiring and who is running their company. I will not order from them anymore and I will pass the word on to everyone I know.

Same as other reviews-- go online. They tell you it is accepted and processed and then "bingo". They have a problem and you will have to contact them or they lie and say "someone will contact you". I received merchandise for Christmas and it was not anything like what the description was. I have been trying to return for a month. No supervisor available and no one in customer service. "We will call you back" and "we will email you". I also just realized a lamp I ordered is defective and I am having the same problem. Horrible. How can we get the word out.

I have a pizza box oven that I purchased as a Christmas gift but am trying to return it. For 3 weeks their online return site has been down. Several call to customer service where they said would send me a return label (2 1/2 weeks later I'm still waiting for the label). Today customer service told me they're having problems and can't even get on their computers. What a rip off. Do not buy anything from Sharper Image. If you don't like it, you won't be able to return it and there are no longer any physical stores.

Before Christmas they had an ad that guaranteed arrival before or on Christmas. I ordered. The item arrived AFTER Christmas. We did not want it so we have been trying to return it. We were told to get the "return label" online. That part of the site does not work. Has not since 1/1/2016. So I called. The CS Rep said she would send out a label right away. Over a week later I still have not rec'd it. They will not disclose the location for the returns. Seem to be giving everyone the run-around.

I ordered a heated neck massager for my elderly mother. The massager: too stiff and motor too loud to be comfortable. I made several frustrating phone calls to customer service line to get the free FedEx return label sent to me. Since it was a personal care item, told it could not be returned for credit but would be e-mailed a merchandise voucher to buy something else. I have verification Sharper Image received my item, but have ever been e-mailed a merchandise voucher. There is another item my mother prefers, so that is not an issue. However, I have called about 10 times over 2 weeks only to be transferred again and again in a circle until I end up back at a person who "will take my name and number so someone can call me back". I have been home and never have been "called back". Disgusted. Sharper Image is obviously taking my the item, money and time. Do not order from this company.

On 12/29/15, Sharper Image received my returns. After 5 phone calls and over two hours on the phone, it is 1/22/16 and I still do not have my refund. The items were returned as they were received. I even spoke to a supervisor and still no refund!! I wish I'd read this site before shopping there!

I highly urge you not to do business with Sharper Image. I ordered something 60 days ago and returned it. They have not refunded my $400 at this point. I have spent hours on the phone with them and keep getting transferred. Then they tell me it will be in a day or two. Also they have hung up on me as well. Do Not Do Business With Sharper Image.

Not having purchased anything from sharper image for several years I was looking forward to receiving items I saw in their catalog... What a great disappointment! The items were somewhat different and of less quality than they photographed. I went to their system, got a return label, sent them back on December 8. Tracking showed that they were received on December 14 and since that time I have made over 10 calls attempting to get a refund. It is now January 18 and I'm still waiting!

They employ an unsatisfactory customer service system that continually puts you into a triage department rather than sending you to the refund and exchange department. They promise to call you back in two hours and never do. You believe you're speaking w/ a person that can actually expedite your concern but it's purely a smokescreen. This experience has been so destructive to their integrity that I will NEVER again shop with Sharper Image. In contrast, shopping w/ Amazon, all return issues are immediately resolved. Just a Warning.

Sharper Image has very poor customer service, as other reviewers have stated. I purchased an Infrared Heating Pad for my father for Christmas ($150!), and it failed after only 3 uses. Sharper Image kept just sending auto replies, or I would reach someone and be told they'd be in touch, but then nothing. After a week they told me they could not accept an open box.

A product failing after 3 uses is definitely the seller's problem. Any other reputable company would have sent me a replacement next day air. It's been 3 weeks and I'm still dealing with Sharper Image. I was told to send it back to the manufacturer, who now tells me they "cannot guarantee replacement" and will have to inspect it. I feel as though Sharper Image and the manufacturer, Venture Heat, are scamming me out of a very expensive purchase. If you have any problems with a product, just know that Sharper Image does not stand behind their products and customer service is very difficult to reach/deal with. Purchase your products elsewhere!

I think Sharper Image must be about to fold. There can be no other explanation for their completely giving up on any effort to provide any customer service. I ordered some items as Christmas gifts on December 21 with delivery guaranteed by Dec. 24th at the place I was visiting. They did not come by the time I left on December 26th. I've sent numerous emails since to try to get the products delivered and have been completely and totally ignored (other than one canned response that they would get back to me right away -- which they did not). I've never seen such a prominent business treat customers so badly. I would not buy from them in a million years. They should not be in business. .

Resolving a defective item becomes a true ordeal with Sharper Image. Its "customer service" is a circular, promises-only hell-hole, which continually re-routes everywhere EXCEPT to somebody who can actually do anything to resolve an issue. I have spend two weeks trying to get a discount or receive a replacement part on a $500 item... The manufacturer itself is easier to get a hold of than the retailer. I am beginning to think that disputing the charge on my credit card may be the only way to get it fixed. You've been warned... stay away!

I did not received all items ordered. I have sent 8 emails and called 5 times. WHEN they respond on email they keep sending the same canned answer stating the package was delivered. On calls, after being transferred multiple times, I'm told someone will call me back. No one ever calls me back. When I ask for a supervisor they claim there is no one they can transfer me to and keep repeating someone will call me back. What a joke. Will try again next week, then I'm giving up. Never again. What a joke and waste of people's valuable time.

I warn anyone against purchasing anything from "The Sharper Image!!" I don't care if it is Christmas or any other time! They DO NOT stand behind their guarantee and after they have your money, they could absolutely care less about you as their customer!!! I made an order for a Hoverboard, spending over $500 with 2 day delivery before Christmas. This was a Santa gift for a little boy who has nothing!! Needless to say I still have not received my item and had to come up with something different at the last minute!! I have called customer service talking to different agents & supervisors and they ALL have the same lack of care and concern for their customers!

They do not accept responsibility!! They blame it on Fedex and told me that "it was NOT their problem" even though Sharper Image made my item a ground delivery and not a 2 day delivery! FedEx is not the ones who fill out the delivery details, but Sharper Image believes that their customers are too stupid to believe otherwise!! I have taught customer service for over 17 years to many different companies so "YES" I have heard and seen it all, or so I thought!! Thank you Sharper Image, I recorded every phone conversation I had with your agents and supervisors and assure you that I have enough material for my next year of customer service classes!! People will know about your scam! I promise that I am going to make sure of that!!

Have not used Sharper Image in about 20 yrs. Saw a catalog and saw a few things that looked fun. Ordered from them and the packages came damaged and worn looking. Email customer service and they do not address the issue at all except to say return them BUT the problem is Christmas around the corner. Email back about a couple of other problems and never heard back. Horrible customer service!! We received an item that was sooo obviously repackaged but never checked when shipped back from original person, so we received it broken. This is incredible. Will let everyone know how horrible this company is.

On Dec 22, 2015 I ordered a product and it was suppose to be shipped Express Holiday. It should be arrive before Christmas. I called and they verify it will be there by Christmas. They email me the tracking number and I check online to find out it was shipped ground and will not be here for another 5 days after Christmas. What kind of workers they have that can't even ship out product correctly. I will never buy anything from Sharper Image. I hope they go bankrupt. I called customer service and complain. They hung up on me.

Inferior products at higher price points... My mom ordered me a pair of bluetooth headphones for my birthday, one of the headsets was not working/very low. Called to make an exchange, customer service representative treated me like a 2 year old, when I questioned him on why he was treating me that way he stated he was "just trying to make it through the day." Nice, I thought to myself. It was my birthday, Christmas eve, dealing with an inferior product that was overpriced and defective, and to be treated like a unwanted piece of you know what.

Wanted to make a simple exchange, he promised me a call tag, it never came to my email. Called customer service again, now wanting to return the product since I don't want to inconvenience a company that doesn't want customers or exhibit professional customer service, after 10 minutes dealing with another rep, finally requested a supervisor. Spoke with "Justin", he promised me a call tag immediately, that too never came. Called a third time, customer service closed, just a call agency. "Sharper Image" should be called "Duller Illusion."

I purchased 4 items from Sharper Image. The first item, worked once and never again. I called Sharper Image. They would not let me return it. They told me to talk to customer service. I called. They said they would call me back and were "too busy" to solve this concern when they realized what I was asking. They never called back. The second item, a battery charger, also worked once. Because I opened and threw away the box, I haven't bothered to call them to return it. The third item, I didn't open the box and just sent it right back. It's been over 5-weeks and I still haven't received my refund.

Their customer service is atrocious, their product line has declined immensely over the years. I would never buy from this company again. And finally, I have written two reviews on their website, under the product that I bought (because they sent me an email to review it) and guess what? They never posted my review, which was 1-star. Something smell fishy to me...

I would give them 0 star. This is my story. I bought this item for my daughters' Christmas present. I ordered online on 12/16/2015 because their website says it's guaranteed to be delivered before Christmas. I got FedEx tracking number and the scheduled delivered date will be 12/22/2015. But the FedEx tracking number has not been changed since 12/16/2015.

I was nervous and called the Sharper Image two times on 12/18 and 12/21. The FedEx told me that they haven't received the package from Sharper Image on 12/21. Even though they received on 12/21 and they can't deliver to California before Christmas. However their representatives kept on telling me that they are sure we will get our present and asked me to check the FedEx status on 12/21/2015. Finally I checked FedEx status this morning, still nothing changed. I called the Sharper Image. Now they told me that my order is out of stock and we can't get it before Christmas. They are liars and ruined our Christmas. This is my first time trying to buy from Sharper Image and it will be last time too.

I clicked on a Google link that took me to Sharper Image online and it pulled up a SI page. that link is www.sharperimageonline.com. Note the "online" end of that address. That's where I was scammed. I ordered two $200 'e-cards' to be delivered to my two daughters' email addresses for their birthdays. Each was $200 and I clicked on this website's PayPal link and paid these people $400, which was instantly debited from my bank account as always (I heart PayPal). When my daughters didn't get their cards on their birthdays, I went back to Sharper Image to find out what happened.

Long story short, they ran me around and around with every trick in the book to keep me busy and talking to different people with lies like "PayPal is down for upgrades, so please wait for your transaction to go through" and "PayPal declined your $400 purchase (100% false)". Then a few more excuses and switching me to this person and that person. I spent an hour with these despicable crooks and thieves, which I am aware - now - is their MO: Keep em on the line until the transaction goes through. I demanded my $400 be refunded and you would not believe how they run you around and deceive you. I think they do it for fun, actually.

After an hour of runaround and giving them transaction numbers and checking emails and all kinds of stuff that they enjoy making you do to buy time so you can't cancel the payments with your bank, I got so mad I was typing in ALL CAPS that I wanted a refund now, over and over. They just kept running me around and around with no issues taken care of. My order number and PayPal number did not matter with them. My husband came in because he thought I was going to have a stroke or a heart attack from anger. Bottom line, they have not refunded my $400 and never will. All I can do is eat the loss and put their scam on every website for scam reporting that I can find, like Consumer Reports and the US government's other sites for retail scams. I'll go to the ends of the earth to expose this horrible thieves den of a website (www.sharperimageonline.com).

Moral of the story: Don't forget to look up at the URL at the top of the page before shopping on any site, but especially Sharper Image, who, apparently, don't keep any vigilance to keep their name clean. I hope my $400 loss story gets spread all over the internet and shuts that shame site down, www.sharperimageonline.com. I hope they get caught and prosecuted.

I purchased a desk lamp from the Sharper Image catalog in August, 2014 for $119.99. The lamp stopped functioning within a month or two. Since my daughter had the lamp at school, she didn't tell me about it until she got back from school. I subsequently contacted Sharper Image for a replacement. They referred me to the manufacturer, Irtronix, which is a company located in California. After getting the runaround, literally being told by each to speak to the other, I finally was informed by Irtronix that the lamp was defective and was discontinued, so they could not replace it. I asked for a refund, but was told that they would give a credit to Sharper Image, which would in turn provide me with a refund.

Instead, Sharper Image wrote to me and offered me a "store credit," which I refused since they don't carry any other desk lamps, and frankly I have no interest in their other catalog garbage. I went back to Irtronix, and they told me "too bad, we already credited Sharper Image so you have to deal with Sharper Image." I went back to Sharper Image, and they won't budge. I wouldn't do business with Sharper Image ever again. As for Irtronix, obviously they produce and sell crap. Stay away from both of these guys!

Sharper Image Company Profile