3.6/5 (209 ratings)

About Sharper Image

Sharper Image Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharper Image?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharper Image?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Do not order from this company. They use false advertising and send you a product you could buy anywhere else for 1/2 the cost. I ordered the “Photo Vault” from them and what I actually received was the “Picture Keeper”. Had I known this is what I was ordering, I certainly would not have ordered this product from them considering any other merchant sells it for 1/2 the cost of sharper image. On the picture in their catalog and on their website it displays a different product than what they are actually selling. When you try to contact customer service, you cannot get anyone on the line. They do not respond to emails. Customer service is essentially nonexistent. Don’t bother reviewing their products on their website.. They will not let any negative reviews appear. This is not a reputable company and buyer beware! If I could give zero stars I would.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I have ordered a few items as Christmas gifts for my husband. 2 of them did not work at all and came in a damaged box. I was willing to overlook the damaged box as long as items worked. They didn't & I attempted to return them. The company's stated policy is that they accept returns no questions asked if not used. They did not state that a right to return is void as soon as a customer opens the box. This is called Bait and Switch, which is still illegal. Their explanation was that because it was a personal item, once the box is opened, they don't accept returns. All they sell are personal items and they claim on the website that these items are refundable. Very dishonest and underhanded.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

I made a purchase December 6, 2021 for a thermal printer I thought was for receipts but it was not what I wanted after seeing a more elaborate product description on Amazon for the same item. On December 8, 2021 I tried contacting Sharper Image on how to return the item and I was directed to their FAQ for Returns. One option was to reject the package. Which I intended to do but the mail system these days don’t ring bells, they just throw packages up on the porch. So when I saw the package I took it back to the post office and marked it “Return to Sender.” That was on December 11, 2021. It is now December 27, 2021 and I still have no return receipt status and no refund.

I attempted to contact Sharper Image several time prior to 12/27/2021 through phone and only keeps you on hold for hours. So I sent an email and after 3 emails no response. I finally got a response on December 21, 2021 and Michelle stated that once the warehouse receives the return it takes 5-7 days to process a refund. However, it’s December 27, 2021 and I still have no refund and no update on the receipt of the return.

This company is far from anything decent. I just want my money back. It does not take this long to receive a return back and process a refund. Especially when they shipping my order on 12/8/21 and it was delivered on 12/11/21. The return time should be the same for the most part. I’ve returned things in the mail to other companies after I did this company’s return and I’ve already received those refunds. So what is up with this company.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

Ten days before Christmas, I ordered a product from Sharper Image for my 5 year old nephew. I paid extra for what the website explicitly called “Holiday Shipping.” Two days after placing the order, I received the tracking info that said the gift would arrive on 12/28 - three days AFTER the holiday. I immediately called customer service and explained the situation, and both the initial rep and the “supervisor” told me there was nothing they could do. I told them I paid for holiday shipping and asked what “Holiday Shipping” meant, and the supervisor said “that just means anytime in December.” I then asked him if that’s truly what he believed, just as a human and not a customer service lackey, and he finally agreed it was misleading. However, he continued to say there was nothing he could do.

I asked for a full refund, or a refund of the enhanced shipping, or comp overnight shipping, or they could send something else - and they refused any request I had to fix it. The “supervisor” said he’s “escalate” my complaint, and I’ve never heard back. Mistakes and shipping delays happen. But that’s not what this was: the website STILL says pay extra and get your product by Christmas. THEY ARE LYING. And when they ruin some kid’s Christmas, they won’t care and they’ll tell you “Holiday Shipping” just means sometime before President’s Day. It’s tough to swallow such repressive mistreatment of customers.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I bought something through their catalog. I later didn't want it. Trying to get anyone to answer the phone for a return is impossible. On hold for 2 hours then hung up. All emails have been ignored. BEWARE buying anything from Sharper Image. They have become a shady company.

Original review: July 21, 2021

In the beginning of Spokane, WA heatwave purchased the evaporative cooler on a Friday and paid for overnight shipping for $249.50. Saturday came and no shipment! Checked online to learn purchase hadn't even been recorded. Checked the shipping schedule to learn they don't ship on weekends!? Had to borrow a loaner a/c from apartment maintenance thankfully as apartment was 95f for three days. Tried to cancel order several different ways but No Customer Service! I refused the shipment. They only returned a partial return of $177 leaving $67 owed. Called bank and disputed only to learn that Sharper Image only has to return a partial payment by law!? WTF? SO they know this and make money off of all shipping returns and there ain't nothing to do about it!

Original review: July 1, 2021

When my 95 year old mother told me a package for me from Sharper Image was on the way, my heart sank. Despite repeated requests, she continues to fall victim to misleading advertising and bogus offers. And my experiences with Sharper Image in the past have made me steer clear. My fears were confirmed to a grim extent -- the 12x Zoom Camera Binoculars are a perfect example of an attractive product name and a product which falls laughably short of it. The idea is to combine increased visual acuity with prompt convenient recording. The reality, despite the name, is that the binocular optics are absolutely terrible and the imaging sensor ridiculously inferior to cell phone image sensors.

The 'zoom' is electronic zoom, by the way -- no actual telescopic function involved, which fact is carefully obscured by the product name. So -- it's not a useful camera nor a useful binocular. But they were right that there is a need for something like this, so some impulse or gift purchasers would see the product name and cough up money. I hope Sharper Image's cynicism and targeting of elderly and weak-minded consumers eventually leads to their corporate demise, but so far it has not.

Original review: June 7, 2021

I have tried many times to submit a negative product review (1 star) on this sound machine. My review is as follows: "I have been using sound machines for years. When they start to wear out, they will begin producing a background noise. This noise is the internal device that is either turning or spinning to create your sound. Right out of the box, this machine has horrible background noises on each sound. They 100% distract from the sound you want to hear. If you use it to cover up a noise, then you probably won’t hear it. But if all is quiet and you want to sleep after a stressful day, FORGET IT! The background noise is like “nails on a chalkboard” irritating. Maybe this is a defective one, but I won’t take a chance on another one."

Sharper Image deceives its customers by not allowing negative reviews. Customers think the product they are purchasing has 4&5 stars when in reality all the negative reviews are NOT POSTED! This is a very deceitful tactic to fool the consumer. At least I can post my comment here and hope it alerts others not to trust the reviews on the Sharper Image site.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Horrible customer service. Do not buy from them. Your future self will thank you. I received a gift item of Cassette to MP3 converter. It worked for 5 minutes. I called to ask for repair/replacement and the customer service rep simply talked over me. They have no clue how to run a good company.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

Ordered Slide converter. Was the worst reproduction of my treasured slides. Gave up and returned to Sharper Image. Bought through Amazon.com and as of now 3 weeks later, after returning, I have not received my refund through amazon credit card. I was so frustrated with this converter. The signs instead of words made it more difficult to use and through 100 slides, it did not take them. DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Sharper Image author review by Jonathan Trout

Sharper Image is an American retailer that sells home electronics, outdoor living, high-tech and personal care products. It has a line of over 10 massage chairs that feature different looks, massage settings and technology. Massage chairs from Sharper Image range in prices from $499 to $ 9,000.

• Human Touch iJoy Active 2.0: At $499, this is the cheapest massage chair Sharper Image offers. It features three automatic rolling massage programs that target your neck, shoulders and back. The massage programs knead your back in small, circular motion, side-to-side motions and rolling motions. It lets you recline up to 45 degrees.

• Human Touch Zero-Gravity 5.0: The Zero-Gravity 5.0 reclines into a full zero-gravity position to provide optimal comfort. It features manual and pre-programmed modes and Sharper Image’s 3D FlexGlide engine to simulate professional massage techniques. The remote control lets you control the foot, seat and heated back massage all at once or independently. This chair retails for $2,999.

• Shiatsu Massage chair: This chair combines deep kneading massage with power lift technology to help you relax and assist you with getting in and out of the chair. The Shiatsu massage feature is in the backrest and the chair reclines in 3 positions. The Shiatsu massage chair costs $2,000.

• Perfect Sense: The Perfect Sense massage chair has 61 air bags that massage your upper and lower arms, back, buttocks and legs. It features an automatic detection function that micro-adjusts to your body's curves. You can choose a manual, automatic or programmed massage function that features six different types of massage. This chair retails for $9,000.

• Human Touch Novo XT: This chair is designed to help athletes and professionals recover from strenuous workouts and work days. The massage tracks in this chair cover up to 60 percent more of your back than other massage chairs. It has five high-intensity settings so you can customize the pressure. Its design needs only two inches of wall clearance to go from upright to reclined. The Novo XT costs $8,000.

• Other products: Sharper Image sells a wide variety of other products like personal care, outdoor living, travel and auto, toys and games and more. Check their website for details and pricing information on all of their products.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team