1.38/5
Based on 269 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

466 Ross Dress For Less Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I purchased Christmas gifts, I had two receipts, one cash the other was my bank check card. I lost my card two days ago, I went to return some items and they refused to give me my money which was taken out my account 12/23/18, I even went online to the bank to show the manager. They kept insisting on a store credit. Mind you the store really don't have any merchandise because of Christmas. These are gifts and I wanted to give them to the kids. I couldn't exchange. Again the store had nothing, I called corporate from the store. Was on hold for 40 minutes. At 6 pm, the answering machine came on and said they were closed, management was rude and sarcastic, he said, "I can do it for you but I'd have to do it for everyone." Their conclusion was wait till they get new merchandise in.

In the meantime the kids have no gifts because the clothes don't fit, no compassion, no concern, all about the money, poor customer service. Talked to corporate today. They were rude also. How do you debit cash out a checking account and feel you don't have to give cash back, but you'll refund a check after 5 days, same thing, it cleared and was taken out, I'm calling the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Attempted to return an item with the tag attached, my receipt and the debit card used to purchase the item 4 days prior. I was informed that my driver's license or some other form of ID is needed to return the item. I declined to give my license as they wanted to let my license into their database and was told that if I did not provide my license they cannot refund my money. I asked why my license was needed to return the item when my license was not needed to purchase the item and of course the cashier nor the manager had an answer. I asked the manager to show me where it states that a consumer must give their license to return with the proper tags and receipt.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I bought Levi's shoes from the Ross. Product has defect and now they are refusing it to Taking back just because I did wear it once to try it out. Even they are not taking back the item purchased from different Ross store.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

The staff at the Peoria store in Phoenix ask me to leave because my dog was bothering the customers, so I left, the dog did not interact with any customers, she was in a dog stroller with a leash on, the dog barked because there were children running around her teasing her, I will be contacting my attorney as this is a support dog.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I don't really have a problem with Ross except the service isn't that good and I think it's really lame how they don't have a website where you can search an item. I took a picture of these pretty brown boots which I regretted not buying. But I was hoping I could find it on their website and they don't have any search for items section. So irritating.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ross Dress For Less?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Worst experience I have ever had at a store. I will never shop at any Ross stores again, ever! The store off 119th in Olathe KS they are not organized and is dirty. The bathrooms are not clean. Worst experience ever.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Horrible manager in American Fork UT. I spent 22 minutes in line because there was only 1 cashier. When I told the manager "Marie", she said to me "That's too ** bad, if you don't like it, shop somewhere else". What? Are you serious? That's some great customer service right there. I won't be back - EVER.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I went shopping at Ross Dress For Less in Douglasville Ga Today and the service was fantastic. An employee was able to help me take my bigger household items upfront for me and informed the cashier of my intent to purchase. When I got through the long line (which is expected since it's Thanksgiving/Black Friday week) the cashier I arrived at (Summer) knew exactly which items were mine that were held up front. I felt so overjoyed! She gave me a pleasant experience and even helped me put my items in my car, once I pulled up front. I wish more Ross stores had this amazing service!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I purchased items in the store on 11/13/2018 @ 5 pm. There was only one checkout staff working. She was not friendly and was rude to every customer before me. The store alarm went off more than once while I stood in line for customer to return to her register to have security tags removed. Once I got to the counter she rang up my purchases without saying a single word, I paid with my debit card and she handed me my receipt without ever making an eye contact. Her body language and facial expressions confirmed that she was annoyed at the amount of customers and lack of cashiers.

As I walked out the store the alarm went off, and the loss prevention person called me back in. He found a security tag and had her take it off. I walked out again and the alarm went off again. He waved me away and said don't worry about it. I got home and hung up all my purchases. A day later I went wear a sweater and realized it STILL had a security tag attached. By now I had already thrown away the receipt. I went back to Ross the next day and tried to explain this to the manager who in turn told me this type of thing happens all the time and without a receipt there was nothing she could do.

As a loyal, paying customer I don't feel I should be punished because Ross's employee failed to do their job, I am certain there are security cameras at that register that would allow the company to see that I did indeed pay for this item. I also can provide a bank statement with the sum of all my purchases. Now I have a sweater that I paid for that I cannot wear, the inconvenience of driving back out to this store and more importantly deal with bad customer service from the salesperson and poor customer service from the manager.

The worst part of this entire experience is the horrible customer service from beginning to end. I understand the need for receipt policies, and loss prevention, but there should be some exemptions in situations like this. Especially when the store manager acknowledges that I was the second person in two hours with the same complaint.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

The cashier at one particular store located on Rainier Avenue in Seattle is a disgrace. One cashier stole my brand new Adidas sandals that my Mother bought for me on my birthday April 25th 2018 the cashier was horrible. And not only did the woman steal my sandals that my Mother purchased but the cashier DELIBERATELY did not remove the security tag off of my sneakers. The cashier was as mean as a snake. And just as crooked. Then you had the inept loss prevention officer. Thanks for making both me & my Mother’s shopping experience a terrible one. This place? ZERO CLASS just like that cashier.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I bought a t-shirt a couple days ago or maybe one week. I went today to exchange it, they don't want to exchange it because I don't have the receipt. But the tag was on it. With the price and the bar code, everything was there. The only problem I didn't have the receipt. The cashier said, "We can't refund you the whole amount because the price is drop down and you didn't have a receipt." At that point I asked to talked to the manager, I explained to him the situation and rudely he said, "I'm not going to refund the money. This the way the system work." I was so surprised to see a manager talked like that. At least 1 time by week I go there to make shopping. With that experience I had today I will never go back there and I will make sure my friends will not go there either.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Ross used to be my go to for everything! Now, its products are bad, all of them. Their customer service is horrible. The stores are filthy. I can't find what I'm looking for anymore, creepy experience. What happened???

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Buyer beware the products you are purchasing from Ross. Some of the beauty and health products are outdated. Also, I purchased (and returned) a pair of Kenneth Cole Reaction flats. This shoe was not a real KC shoe. The name of the shoe was misspelled on the inside of the shoe. Maybe it was a cheap copy from another country. You may find some deals, yet be aware if there are imitation designer goods in the mix.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I went to Ross and tried to buy some Nike shoes. They are locked together by the store employees. I tried to buy 3 pairs and each time they were paired with the wrong size. 9 with a 9.5, 8 with a 9, and a 10 with a 9. If your staff is this stupid you don't deserve to have me shop there.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I purchased a pair of sandals at the Ross on Cal-Sag road in Chicago. I tried to returned them on 76 Cicero around an hour later. Because, I found me some shoes at Marshalls. I had the receipt and shoes attached and everything but they couldn't returned unless I presented them with a I.D.? I'm not sure why they needed a I.D. You have receipt and tags but ID. They stated Corp. Having them to do this: I am so done with Ross...

Original review: June 19, 2018

I went to Ross to return an item. I stood in line and the cashier had me move to another line the customer service line. So the customer service cashier calls next I go and she takes the lady that was on the other line. I said I was next. She said she was in line. I said they told me to move over to this line. She said “I don’t care” and took the ** customer. Then she was rude when I returned my item. I had a receipt and tag was in pocket. She gave me a hard time about the receipt being in the pocket. Her name was Ann location Bloomingdale Illinois.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Hi my name is Suzan. I went to Ross today 2 days back and bought a cologne, I thought it was for men so I bought it for my husband. I went home and then open just the plastic and I was reading the complete instruction to see if it was for men or women, then I found out it was for women so I can the next day which is today and went to return and exchange line, the manager name "Marcela", said she can't exchange because we just open the plastic. So I want told her I want it to talk to the manager, she said in a rude way that she's a manager. And she object is and said if the plastic is open or if it's used it can't return or exchanged.

When we bought the cologne the gender was not even visible if it was for men or women, we explained everything to her. She didn't care. She was acting very tough. She should not be talking to customer like that, because of the customers today that's how the business is running or it would have been closed out already. She needs to learn how to talk to customers and apologize. And I would be more appreciate if I can get exchange the perfume which I was intended to buy for. Very bad experience. And today I believe there is no value of the receipt at all since it did not help at all. The Ross store is located in Fremont Hub. If you search in Google. Fremont Ross it will appear in the result.

Original review: June 1, 2018

My niece came in town and needed a dress for a job interview. The variety of dresses was outstanding! So was the sizes! Finding the right dress, size and price was an exciting shopping experience.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I used to love to shop at Ross stores. They always had a great selection and lots to look at. I was at the Ross on 200 in Ocala, the store was a mess, half the shelves were empty and most of the merchandise was on the floor. We come to this area each year for vacation, I can’t believe how bad this store has gotten, so disappointed.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I bought a very large rug in Ross for Less. I realized after 2 days when I was about installing my new rug that the cashier forgot to remove to anti theft tag. So on 03/18/2018 at noon, I went back to Ross for Less located at 3851 Oakwood Blvd, Hollywood, FL 33020 and I spoke DIRECTLY to the Security Guard at the Entrance store, the security guard was very nice and took me to a cashier who forward me to another cashier by the name of NADECHE, she was very rude and refuses to remove the anti theft tag telling me that I need the receipt. So I nicely explained her that I cannot find the receipt, she told me in a very rude way that she cannot help me.

Then I asked for the Store Manager, she answered that SHE IS the Store Manager and again refuses to remove the Anti-theft tag that one of the cashiers forgot to remove during the sale. It was a very frustrating experience due to the fact that I was not responsible about the Anti theft tag removal. Now I find myself with an expensive large rug that I cannot use...

Original review: March 1, 2018

I tried to return a dress today that has never been worn with the tag still on it. I admit it's been more than 30 days, but I figured I would get a store credit. To my surprise I was offered .49 for the dress. I was shocked! I mean the tag is still on it and all I wanted was a store credit or exchange. The cashier told me that their clothes are marked down every week and all she could offer was .49. I have shopped at Ross for over 30 years. Ross always mark the tags when the price is lowered. They know their tagging system & it can't be tampered with. So, giving me a credit at .49 is against public policy.

Let's say I buy a dress for $20. I return it for a store credit (without receipt) & Ross tells they can only give me $1. That means Ross has wrongfully or deceptively profited $19. And, how can you keep marking down an item that is not in your store? And, let's say I take the $1 credit. This means you have profited $19 and I lose $19 because I no longer have the item that you can turn around sell again for another profit. How is that fair to the public?

If Ross gives me a $19 credit, Ross still loses nothing & of course I lose nothing because now I can just buy something else. This is a win/win situation. Besides, most of the time I end up spending more anyway. It appears Ross has figured out how to profit from human error (losing receipts) in an immoral fashion that is against public policy. And, I know for a fact they don't mark down each item every week.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I was harassed by loss prevention and team members of Ross store in San Antonio Bandera Rd 1604 trying to try on jeans. Needed to purchase them for a trip and I was followed and they kept harassing me saying rude things extremely uncalled for. I will be reporting it and making media aware as well!!! No need for this. I will not shop again EVER!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

On several occasions I have tried on clothes at the Ross in Cascade Center in Bend, OR. On every one of these occasions all of the shoppers in line are treated to a lecture from the dressing room employee about rehanging clothes, buttoning buttons, making sure they are right side out and to hang them all on the rack so they may be counted out to match the number on the security tag we are given. Are Ross stores under siege from hoards of shoplifters? I have never been treated like this at Macy's or Penney or any other dress store in town. For that matter, the other Ross store in Bend doesn't do that either.

I know it must be a thankless job in some peoples' minds but that is the job isn't it? They are hired to replace the clothing. No one should ever turn it inside out or leave it off the hanger but that can be handled with the customer who actually does that when they hang the clothes up in front of the store employee. It would sure save time as opposed to giving each customer the same lecture as they enter the dressing area. It's insulting to the majority of your customers. Save the lectures for the few who actually do these things.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I had a return. I was told at the entrance that I should go left. At this store, Richmond, CA, all cashiers are located in one area, left of the front door. THERE'S NO MENTION WHATSOEVER OF RETURN POLICY OR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I put myself in line. After a while, one person showed up and put herself in a line of her own. When I respectfully pointed out that everyone was already in line, she said she was there for a return. I said I too was there for a return.

The cashier said she was right: she was in the right line. But THERE WAS NO SIGN ANYWHERE INDICATING THAT PEOPLE WITH RETURN SHOULD STAND AT A PARTICULAR PLACE! The cashier was very unfriendly and, I think very unfair. She gave priority to the woman who had arrived much later than anyone else already standing in line. This is an extremely unfair practice. This cashier and Ross Dress For Less, Richmond, CA, are putting some customers ahead of others for no valid reason! This branch of Ross Dress For Less should have a much better, fair, efficient system for return policies. As it is now, I will no longer shop in any Ross Dress For Less stores.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

A week ago I went into the Ross on Marconi and Fulton Ave in Sacramento CA. I returned an item and walked over to look at the Christmas gifts on tables. I then proceeded to go to the shampoo section to look for shampoo to purchase that day. From the time I walked in the security guy who is a short blond ** guy named Brandon kept his eyes on me. Wherever I was he was. He kept his face turned to me the whole time never looking away. When I walked to the shampoo section with his eyes on me, he got on the radio and told them to watch my section with the camera. I returned again tonight with my husband and 6 year old. We bought about 250 dollar purchase.

Went to dressing room the lady checked my clothes I tried them on and she would not let me take the items until she checked each item. While she was doing this here comes Brandon giving her a big thumbs up literally and telling her good job for doing that. I shop a lot at Ross and do spend hundreds each time. I make decent money and work hard for the government. I have no reason to steal and go to jail losing my career and being an idiot thief. I am a Hispanic female who feels very discriminated against from an ignorant person like this man.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I love shopping at Ross but to have Cashier with bad attitude is appalling. I went into their store at Orchard Mall with a friend that has a 6 weeks old baby. The Cashier expected her to remove all clothes from hanger and do her job. I am very sure the Cashier would not have been able to carry such little baby and shop. We paid more than $300, we didn’t get any item for free, yet her face was like **! She could not do her job, left the security lock on one cloth and as we left the door, the alarm was up??? Too bad experience!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Thursday November 9th 12:00PM. Manager refused to accept defective merchandise unless I did her job and found the UPC for the item. I purchased headphones on 10/26. One earbud didnt work, and when I plugged it in, the left cable broke off from defect. Went in today 11/9, and explained my story to the MOD (small, ** female). After rolling her eyes, she said even though the merchandise was defective, she would "be willing" to let me return it IF I went around the store and located the exact item, with UPC, the register I paid on, AND on top of that the exact time I purchased it.

I told her I had the Debit card I used and my bank statement. She said she would not do it like that, I had to look for the item. I explained to her that I didn't know the store or familiar with the inventory. She said she wasn't either. So basically she wanted me to do her job. When I asked her if that was the case, she said "Ok, you know what? How about you can't return it anymore. How about that?" I left the merchandise, disappointed in such poor customer service.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Being a business owner they have by far the worst customer service. Made a purchase of $38.75 on 9/13 at 7:20pm. Store Ontario Mills Gateway Center. After swiping my card, in the middle of transaction my card approved and system froze no receipt printed out. They had me wait until they rebooted system. Which 5mins passed they called supervisor to assist. She advise she needed to print receipt from back office which took 30 mins to tell me they had no receipt of transaction. They asked if I could check my online bank and I advise them that I saw transaction pending. They asked me to repurchase items because transaction would reverse on my end. I advise them that I didn't want to repurchase seeing transaction pending. They mention to come because they needed to assure themselves transaction cleared. They mention they would hold my stuff.

Called next day spoke to floor manager 9/14 to Judy, general manager. Judy advise that nothing shows on their end that transaction cleared. I advise her that my bank shows transaction cleared not pending. She advise that she needed to file an audit claim and she would follow up with me or next floor manager would be aware of what's going on. I called later on that day and they told me that I would need to call back. After given the run around I gave it another day.

Today is 9/15 called store in the morning for them to tell me that audit dept provided them with instructions and they couldn't get through that dept busy tone. They mention to try back.The lack of communication is horrible. I am a Ross shopper, I make 4-6 purchases at several Ross a month. Having this horrible experience and have not received my merchandise or money back is by far the worst thing ever.

I called this evening. Closing manager Jackie answered very rude to tell me she knows nothing of what's going on with my situation and store is busy and if I can call back in an hr. I called back after requesting to speak to manager Jackie, cashier Favela or Pabela answered and hung up on me 3x when I asked for a manager. It's 8:37pm and no one from that Ross location has called me to follow up with my transaction. I unfortunately don't have a receipt because one was not provided nor did it print. The only receipt I have is in my bank statement to show the purchase I made. In conclusion I just want my money back that is owed or I will file a dispute thru my bank. Store #9099874809.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I was in this store at least 1 time a week. And each time I visit this store in Lakeland Florida at Merchants Walk the lady security guard will follow me around the store because I carry a large Louis Vuitton satchel bag. It has never failed and I will not stop carrying my purse because of the size. I have complained to the store manager about her and warned him to get a grip on this woman. But she continues to target people of color in this Store. It happens again I am going to contact corporate and then file a harassment and discrimination lawsuit against Ross store in Lakeland Florida at Merchants Walk.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I must say, I have been reading some really bad reviews about Ross stores in other states. I live in Zephyrhills Florida and I must say, never ever have I ever experienced anything but great visits to my local Ross store. All the employees and manager Norman are FANTASTIC. I enjoy shopping there all the time. I too am handicapped and I'm always treated with respect. Not all Ross stores are bad, if you're ever in the Zephyrhills Florida area stop in at Ross. You'll have a great experience, I promise.

Ross Dress For Less Company Information