1.14/5
Based on 67 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Menards

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 8, 2018

357 Menards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Menards says 11% discounts. We went and spent over 2000.00 because of the 11% lie. Don't fall for it or depend on it. I flip homes and go without the thought of getting fake discount. I go to the best deals without the discounts. Menards will more than likely give a discount if you have a 50.00 dollars purchase. We still didn't get ours and it’s been over 90 days.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Purchased some lumber online because their site showed a discounted amount for a given period. Even though I had placed my order 3 weeks before the offer was posted to expire I was charged the regular price. When I spoke with them about it I was told their site didnt get updated and they would not honor the discounted price as posted when I ordered. Evidently Menards has little concern for customer satisfaction.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Product (Lumber) had a lot of damage and no others were available. Only want to discount less than 20%, said that cost. We both know you will never sell the piece of plywood at cost. Offered to buy at 50%. I believe that was a fair price. No veterans discount either. I went to Home Depot where I bought a thick piece for $3.00 cheaper and not damaged. I save over $12 total on my order. Thanks to your unfriendly staff for that. I will probably never shop there if I can help it.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Building a house and spent, so far, $15,000 to $20,000. Ordered cabinets, countertop, and cupboards on December 14, 2017. Estimated delivery date of December 28, 2017. Counter arrived, but no cabinets or cupboards. No call from Menards on delay. Called Menards and was told by two different employees that the delay was due to a Christmas shutdown by the supplier and the new date was the week of January 11, 2018. When asked why they didn't know about the shutdown or delay, since they have the relationship with the vendor, they told me it was just an estimate and they do the best they can. Swallowed hard and said ok, but if I had known it would be 5 weeks, I would have checked other options for this purchase. January 12th and still no word from Menard's so I called them and was told the items that I ordered were in.

I went to Menards on Saturday morning to arrange delivery of the kitchen package and additional items. By paying $119 instead of $59, the delivery coordinator said they would deliver all items inside on Tuesday January 16, 2018 between 7 am and noon. Around noon the box truck delivered most of the items, but I was shorted 1 of the base cabinets, 2 sheets of drywall, and the quartz countertops. The delivery driver, Chris, assured me the countertops would be there later in the day on the flatbed and he would find out about the other items. Nothing came on that day. I called the store near the end of business on January 16, 2018 and asked to speak to the store manager. Larry got on the phone and I asked if he was the number 1 guy in charge of the store and he said yes. I explained that I needed the base cabinet in order to install the countertops.

He said the cabinet was shipped to Muncie by mistake and they would pick it up and deliver all to me the next day, Wednesday January 17, 2018. On Wednesday about 1:30 in the afternoon the last cabinet and the missing drywall showed up, but no countertops. Once again, Chris the delivery driver, said it would be coming on the flatbed and the delivery coordinator would be calling. I asked him to remind the store that I needed the countertops as I would be going out of town for 4 days. No calls and no delivery the rest of the day. January 18th, 19th, 20th, and 21st there was no call from anybody. Back in town on Monday January 22nd, I drove to the store to set up the delivery. I asked to speak to Larry the store manager. I was informed Larry was not the store manager, but an assistant.

Finally, Chris **, the store General Manager arrived and I told him my story and said I needed the item delivered that day or I would be canceling the order and returning everything else. He said I had a bad attitude and would not respond to my ultimatum... his words. Yes, me, the customer that has spent many thousands of dollars and relied on his staff for accurate delivery information, accurate shipping capabilities, etc... had a bad attitude. He said they do not deliver inside and could not help me. When asked why his people charged me extra for inside delivery, he had no answer. When I asked for his supervisor's name, he said he didn't have one and walked away. This is where I find out it isn't just Chris ** and his staff are lacking in customer service skills, but it is throughout the entire culture of Menards.

I went to the parking lot and called Menards corporate offices. I was sent, 3 times, to a recorded message about writing a complaint letter. I asked to talk with any supervisor and was denied. I asked for any supervisor's email or phone number and was denied. I asked if I could leave my name, number, and email address for a supervisor to call me and was denied. Ultimately, I made three trips in my van in a 3-hour period and returned all items, including those that were yet to be delivered weeks late. I was only given a partial refund. They kept around $400 as a restocking fee. I have since heard from their attorney as they want me to take down a website I created called menardsstinks.com and that ain't going to happen!

If they fail, you will still pay and you won't be able to talk with anyone about it. Please think about that before you give them your hard-earned money for empty promises and rudeness. I did ultimately give the manager, Chris **, a hearty ** and have since been trespassed from the store, That's right, after I said I wouldn't be shopping there again, they said I couldn't come back. Like being fired a minute after you resign. These folks are like the lumber mafia. Feel free to contact me at menardsstinks.com and I will be happy to add your story to the list.

Others need to know of their no customer service policy. If you are aware of any crimes being committed by John Menard Jr., Chris **, or any other Menards employees, please contact me. Theft, embezzlement, pedophilia, discrimination, etc... I want to hear about all of it. That's right, if you know that John Menard Jr. is a pedophile or any other unsavory or illegal behavior, I want to know and the world deserves to know. These folks are like a gang!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Back in Sept I spent almost $2500 at Menards for roofing materials. I filled out the rebate form and mailed it to where they said to mail it to. MONTHS go by never got anything. I sent them emails, letters telling them about this matter. Checked online. Said it was issued Nov 2017 but never received it. They said they would issue another one. Still have not received it. I called Menards Corp office and the lady on the phone said she couldn't look on the computer to see what was going on. That I would have to mail a letter explaining the problem. What? I just told her the problem. So I wrote the letter. No response from Menards Corp office either. This was 2 weeks ago. What's this? Another scam. Never received my 11% rebate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Menards?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I bought my appliances at Menards in Beaver Dam last September 2017: Washing Machine, Dryer, and other appliances because of the rebate of 11%. Now, it's already January 2018 and I haven't receive any cent of the said rebate. I spoke to the customer service at the store, she told me to keep on calling and to fax my receipts. Are you kidding me? Looks like the rebate program is a bluff!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I ordered on an online order and it came in 3 separate packages and one required shipping due upon receipt. I prepaid $35 for shipping on all items on a $100 order already. They sent an item damaged and I’m still trying to get my extra postage back I had to pay and item returned they I received damaged. They are not helping me. They just send useless emails. Worst customer service ever and I can’t even talk to anyone on the phone. I will never buy from them again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I purchased roughly $135 worth of items from them a week ago. I paid $47 with a Gift Card/In Store Credit and roughly $93 was Cash. I returned one of the items worth $109, due to having received a similar item as a gift for Christmas, so I thought I'd return the item I had just purchased myself. When I went to return the item Menards forced a $47 gift card on me prior to receiving the difference in cash for the item.

Even though they scanned the Gift Card/Merchandise Credit first at checkout, and paid the difference in cash, they forced the Gift Card BACK on me prior to receiving my Cash Back. Their receipt reflects that the Gift Card was tendered last. This is how they get you! This is how they scam their customers. They force you to repurchase items in their store instead of giving you Cashback for purchases where you paid with both. Do not do business with them! Don't say you weren't warned.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Accidentally picked-up a nail gun instead of a stapler. When I went to return it Duane an employee didn't want to exchange it. I told him I would need to speak with someone who could help me. He started asking me if I was threatening him. I Told him, "No. Just needed someone that was going to help me." After several times of telling me I was threatening him. He reluctantly gave me in store credit. No one should have to put up with that kind of service. I will probably think twice about shopping there again!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I bought items online. The pickup is in the rear of the store. I took the items from rear of store to front of store. Never left the store. Never opened the items. Was charged 15% to return them. Horrible place to return items. I manage properties. You have to return everything to manufacture for warranty. Buyer Beware!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Expensive Oak Wooden Floor was purchased at Menards, installed by SuperFast Flooring including 50 years warranty. After a year, the coating started to peel, scratch, and flake, so we filed a claim and it was denied, saying it was our fault. I spoke to the staff on the phone to honor the 50 years warranty and they refused and hung up the phone. They are trying to rationalize the situation to get away with it, so spend your money where the company will not lie and steal your money.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have had the absolute worst customer experience I have ever had from this store and its management team. I ordered a Vanity top for my bathroom on 9-30-17. When it came in the holes were drilled wrong. So we went back to the store and asked the Manager on duty in that department, "What could be done to get this back in a timely fashion since we have waited 4 weeks to get this one," he said he would call the vendor and get back to me, but it may be faster to credit this one that is wrong and place a new order and let them know that they made a mistake and he needs this vanity back in a couple weeks.

I never received the phone follow-up back from Robert as promised, so I called back the following day to get news of what he figured out. He tells me that it will ship and be in the store by 11-17-17, this did not happen, I never got a follow from the store to tell me if the vanity made it in on Friday 11-17-17 so I called and asked to speak to Robert. He then states that the vanity top will not be in the store till the 11-27-17, at this time I very upset!!! I ask Robert to follow up with me the day drops in the store so that I can get it in.

Needless to say this did not happen. So my wife then gets a email saying the vanity will be in on the 27th and I can pick it up. I go to the store and 6:00 pm and wait 1 hour and 30 mins for the agents to find this vanity top, when I get it home the vanity top is the wrong color and now has no holes in it. So I call back to the store and asked for Robert. I explained to him that this one is not only the wrong color but has no holes drilled into it, he never once apologized, he said there is nothing he could do expedite this. Basically he was trying to blow me off and offered no type of resolve and that all he could do is reorder and he could not give me a lead time on how long this would take, I then asked for the General manager's name and that he should try calling him that night and explain the situation and see if he could do something about this and have him call me first thing in the morning on 11-28-17.

I receive a call from the general manager Kevin **. He asked what he could do and I explained the issue again. And begged him to get this right and get this vanity back to me in two weeks and as a leader of a store he should work on coaching his Management team on how to deal with upset customers when it clear I only want what's right, nothing extra, nothing taken off the price. Just get it to me in two weeks so I can get this done before Christmas now.

I also sent him photos of the vanity showing that it was clearly the wrong one and that I dont think I being unreasonable about this and that this vendor need to fix this and get it back to me in the two weeks I'm now requesting, so he says he would do this and then has a young lady the next day from the department call me and let me know that he has sent emails and that I will have the vanity back by 12-13-17.

I realized that I had not heard from anyone on the 12-13-17 so I email Kevin today, he has Stan from that department call me and let me know that this vanity will not be in till after Christmas. I asked to speak to Kevin, he tell me he has done all he can do and I can wait for it or just stop the order, I told him he has not done all he can do, he said "Are you calling me a liar?" I said "No, but you can get this next day air." He said because of the size and weight that this not possible and begun to be very rude and said "If you dont like this then you can go elsewhere!"

This manager is very rude and felt it ok to talk down to me as if I am stupid, he obviously cannot see from the customer's side on this. I deal with clients every day and no we are not perfect here either, but we do understand that if it is not something the customer did to cause the problem we fix it without question and do what we need to do to make the experience better.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Obtained a rebate form #4700 from store manager. Rebate #4700 is an in store adjustment rebate and the form can only be printed in the store. It is not available for print online. Manager informed me to fill out form, attach original receipts and mail in to receive an 11% rebate. Sent this form in with several others. All other rebates processed EXCEPT Rebate #4700. Inquired by email to Menards Customer Service regarding the #4700 rebate. Customer service responded by informing me that requests for information would only delay the rebate. Sent a reply stating that I was sorry to "bother" them. Received an email a day later from another service rep offering to assist. After two additional weeks I made another inquiry. Received the standard reply of "requesting information" would only delay the rebate. I responded previous inquiries. Produced no result.

A day later another service rep contacted me and offered to help. They asked that I provide them with the receipts and another form. I responded by telling them the manager told me to include the original sales receipt when I turned in the form because it was an "in store adjustment" the 11% rebate was not listed on the bottom of the receipt and that is why originals would have to be mailed along with the form. I informed the service rep that form #4700 was submitted at the same time as several others and all the rebates were issued with the exception of #4700. Finally realizing the In Store Adjustment is nothing more than a scam and further inquiries would be useless I informed the service rep I will be more than willing to provide, in the spring, a receipt for all materials related to a multilevel deck and sun room. Unfortunately, for Menards, that receipt will be from Home Depot. I doubt I will hear back from Menards anytime soon.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

We just finished remodeling our kitchen. Some of items we bought were on the 11% rebate. We mailed in the rebates each time we purchased an item that was on this promotion. We have gotten all the rebates but the biggest one we turned in. When I went to research it, it was not showing up in their system. I called the local Menards and was told there were 3 possible explanations: 1. I mailed the rebate to the wrong address. 2. I entered my address incorrectly. 3. The typical answer-the mail lost it.

Let me just say I have their address saved on my computer and print the label each time. And since this is the first rebate I haven't gotten, that excuse doesn't work. As for my returned address, it hasn't changed in 30 years. I'm ready to start the next house project which is to remodel the bathroom and have been waiting on this rebate. If Menards is willing to lose thousands of dollars on future sales for a lousy 278.00 rebate, they obviously don't want or need my business.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Purchased over $2000 worth of merchandise during the Menards 11% rebate on everything sale. Been 6 months have yet to receive the rebate. Would have been cheaper to go somewhere else. My bad for not keeping a copy of the receipt and rebate, still why should a consumer have to keep track of something that a business advertises.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Purchased a paint sprayer that was defective. Returned it 2 hours later to be told that it was the manufacturer's problem. They would not exchange or refund my money. Staff was rude!!! Buyer beware if you purchase from this chain, you will not get a refund if the item comes with a manufacturer's warranty. I will not shop at any Menards.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Again went to S. Side Menards and the 5 things they had on sale, WERE NOT on the shelf! I've been told that they had no time to get them out if I'm the first one there at 6:30 a.m. so That they're all sold out already if I come at 9a.m. It's a Joke! True Value might cost more but WORTH IT!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I purchased tiles to redo my flooring in my basement bathroom during their 11% rebate. I Mailed in my rebate form along with the receipt and waited for my rebate check to arrive. It was past their 6 weeks time frame so I decided to go on their website to check on the status. The website status said they mailed my rebate check out 9/26/17 and that was two weeks from the date I checked on the status. I looked for a phone number to customer service and it doesn’t seem like you can speak to a live person. The only way to contact them was thru email. I emailed and received a response 3 days later that my rebate was sent on 9/26/17. The email was of no help since I already knew that and had requested for them to reissue it.

I had to respond back. I needed it reissued as previously stated in my original email. It is now November 2017. I still have not received my rebate check and not a response to my 2nd email. I just sent another email requesting a call or manager to resolve this. The rebate wasn’t for a large amount but they need to make good on their end. It is extremely frustrating that a company like Menards can’t afford to have live customer service reps to speak to and the email responses are terrible! I will no longer support such a company that does not value their customers!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Purchased a steam washer and paid for delivery. The machine was not set up correctly and ended up leaking water all over the carpet in the basement. Called Menards and they referred me to the delivery company, who referred me back to the Menards customer service deck. 3 months of calling and they still haven't made it right. We are now using this washer without the steam option. You can do better with Lowe's or Home Depot free and competent delivery. Bottom line - this company does not stand by their delivery service if there are any issues. I have shopped here for years but they have lost a customer.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

We purchased a countertop set at the Wausau, WI Menards. Took all the pieces home except the large one, which we had to bring a trailer back to haul. When we arrived back at the store 30 some minutes later with the trailer, we were told that the last piece was sold to someone else. They took our money (and STILL have our money for that piece), then let someone else take the item. We were sent out of the store, so we called for a store manager. A man named Craig claiming to be the store manager said that it was too bad, he wasn't going to cut us another piece to match unless we paid an additional $326.89!

He laughed at my daughter over the phone, made fun of her to a woman standing near him while they were on the phone, and threatened to refund the money for all of the pieces (keep in mind that the rest of the pieces were already at the house) then file a police report against her for theft! Emails were sent to the corporate office (not sure if or when we will ever get a response at this point), and complaints filed with the FTC, DOJ and BBB. But as of right now, we are out the money we paid for that piece, and have half a countertop set.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Purchased two appliances from Manchester MO store, stove was excessively hot and a safety hazard so was returned immediately, dishwasher broke after 3 uses. Tried to return it and was told it was out of their return window so couldn't return it for a refund (paid cash for both appliances). Corporate manager was rude-told me to be sure to let everyone know when I am reviewing them that they offered store credit - AS IF I or anyone in my family would ever shop there again. But hey, they'll be happy to sell you more stuff - just don't try and get your money back. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE - if you live in St. Louis, go to Slyman Bros., Lowe's or Home Depot.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Purchased roofing materials and submitted that purchase for the 11% rebate. Decided about a month later that the job was far too big for do it yourselfers and we canceled the delivery requesting a refund. The refund was short the 11% rebate amount. This is now 3 months later and no rebate and we are out the $276. Menards customer service in store refuses to get involved and corporate customer service only says they'll forward to rebates international. All I want is my money back or even the rebate that is in store use only but at least that's something.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Really disgusting practice that Menards has started disguising their rebates as a marketing postcard. Almost threw it away, but I guess that's the idea right. If you don't open it up you would only think you had just thrown away a marketing piece for Doors. Done shopping at Menards forever.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

After contacting customer service (only able to communicate via email), I was told I would have to bring our shower door back to a store. I was unable to ship back to vendor. For us to take it back to the store we would incur a 25% restocking fee which amounted to about $200. After many more emails, I discovered on the bottom of their return policy that ANYTHING ordered online is a special order and subject to the 25% restocking fee. The fact that anything ordered online is a special order and subject to the 25% restocking fee should be clearly stated when you order. So not only are they making money off of us from the sale of the shower door but then they're making another $200 off of us with their restocking fee. I find this very customer unfriendly! I will never use Menards again and I warn anyone else, friends and family, and anyone reading this to be aware.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Ordered a shed kit, to start it’s not a kit but a list of pull your own supplies and special order frames that took 7 days to get in stock and were damaged from strapping during transport. 2x4 that were smashed by 1/2-1 inch on the 2 outside trusses making the board less than half the size and causing a weak point in my building trusses, this was in 3 spots on 2 trusses. The reply as to why did I buy damaged trusses is, "We have an acceptable amount of breakage from transportation and I feel it’s within that. No one ever complains. Why are you." I immediately asked for a full refund, even though I had already loaded everything except the damaged supplies. Two different managers told me this is acceptable damage. Take it or leave it. Great. My money spends elsewhere that doesn’t have acceptable amount of breakage.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I ordered a chainsaw from their website. It arrived with oil spilled inside the packing. I called. They said it would not be a problem, they tested them before shipping. I tried to start it with the gas that was already in it when it arrived. (That's important, because one of their tricks is if the customer puts gas in, they won't take it back.) They don't not have a customer service number. Only an email. I sent an email. The only thing their reply said was, "Did you put gas in the unit?" Clearly trying to avoid responsibility. I called the particular store from which it was shipped. Again. I spoke to someone who said they were in the manager's office. They said they would get back to me. They have not.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Worst customer service, I spent 12 hours plus trying to get the right products order after 4 visits to the store. I thought all the problems were ironed out. Nope, wrong items were sent out "special order" so to return it's a 25% restock fee after I corrected their mistake and was still sent the wrong item. Delivery was a fiasco. I showed them pics of where it was to be placed and they said, “No problem. It will be the standard fee of $69”. It arrived today and the driver refused to place it where it was supposed to be delivered.. without paying an additional fee. Plus it arrived 2 hours late. Never will I do business with Menards. The gm at the Kenosha WI. To go ** myself. I had 3 guy on the clock waiting on the delivery of the materials and that the way you treat someone who just sent 1200 on a package that they messed up... DONT BUY FROM MENARDS.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My issue is with the Menards credit card as provided by Capital One. I tried to use my Menards card at checkout and it was declined. Knowing I had a $0 balance I went straight to the car and called Capital One. They told me that I failed to answer a correspondence from them asking me for my physical address. I never (possibly overlooked) saw this request so of course I never gave them the address. Because I never did this, they simply closed my account with no notice.

First of all, I live in a village where there are NO mailboxes. Only P.O. boxes so you cannot even use my physical address. Second, why not simply call me for this information and all would be fine. They told me that it would be 7-10 days to re-open my account. After 12 days passed without any contact I called them. They told me that it would take yet another 7-10 days. After 5 more days they actually called and said that I would have to reapply and start all over. Again, all of this because I failed to give them my physical address which again absolutely cannot be used for anything. I have been a VERY LOYAL customer to Menards for years and have had great credit standing with them as well.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I ordered a fireplace insert that was on clearance. It was 150.00, I paid half the price. Then I paid to have the item shipped to my house because it said it was not available for pick up and did not have the original box. That should have thrown up a red flag! When the item arrived I opened up the box and could not believe it was plastic formed around cardboard to mimic a steel grate and birch logs. It was so pathetic. Not at all what was described. Also no receipt! When I went to return the item they told me I had to pay a 25% restocking fee!!! Remember it was a discontinued item!!! Then they said I would have to pay to ship this piece of plastic back!!! I do not recommend this at all. What a complete disappointment!! Then when I went to put this review in I seen they have 237 other 1 star reviews!! I wish I would have found this site first. If I could give them a 5 star (negative) review that's what would give them.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I purchased T7G Doodles Fir Porch flooring online. Set the delivery up. I called to confirm the correct delivery address, Menards then delivered it a day late and to the wrong address. My guys had to go get the materials and make the correct delivery. The head GM at Menards in Normal, IL then proceeded to drop the "F" bomb on me, and tell me it was all my fault. Then we had to return 70 pieces out of the 160 pieces we had ordered, due to bad material in one way or another.

Then because we placed the order online, we couldn't get a refund using the online receipt, I had to go in there myself. I have a total of 5 hours invest in returning $600 worth of flooring. AS a customer, as a business owner, I feel like Menards is one of the most difficult companies to do business with. They insulate themselves from their customers and the delivery company in such a way that there seems to be no way of getting any real accountability from them as a company. This is my first review of Menards, but not my only complaint. I should have been doing this for the last 25 years.

Here is my complaint to them on their private review site - I own Prairie Renovation in Bloomington, IL 61701. On Monday Sept. 4, 2017 I placed an order for Douglas Fir, T & G Porch flooring online. I place a fair amount of orders online, and I called in right away to make sure that the order was going to go to the correct place (job site), as I was going to be traveling out of town and I wanted my guys to have the materials that they needed. I wanted them delivered on Thurs 9/7/2017.

I got a call on Thurs saying the delivery would happen on Fri. Then I got a call on Friday morning from the delivery driver, he said he was dropping the supplies in front of my door (at my shop) instead of the job site. Needless to say, I'm upset. But it got much worse when I called the local Menards to talk to someone about this, and the GM in Normal, IL - "Darrin" got on the phone with me. He wasn't helpful and he used the "F" word with me. Now I've been in business for 30 years, and I've never done that, nor do I think it's even remotely professional or acceptable. I've been a customer for a very long time, and with all of this last debacle, I'm debating on whether or not I want to stay a customer. I would appreciate it if someone would follow up with me at **.

Menards Company Information

www.menards.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use