1.17/5
  • 1 star
Based on 60 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 9, 2017

345 Menards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Obtained a rebate form #4700 from store manager. Rebate #4700 is an in store adjustment rebate and the form can only be printed in the store. It is not available for print online. Manager informed me to fill out form, attach original receipts and mail in to receive an 11% rebate. Sent this form in with several others. All other rebates processed EXCEPT Rebate #4700. Inquired by email to Menards Customer Service regarding the #4700 rebate. Customer service responded by informing me that requests for information would only delay the rebate. Sent a reply stating that I was sorry to "bother" them. Received an email a day later from another service rep offering to assist. After two additional weeks I made another inquiry. Received the standard reply of "requesting information" would only delay the rebate. I responded previous inquiries. Produced no result.

A day later another service rep contacted me and offered to help. They asked that I provide them with the receipts and another form. I responded by telling them the manager told me to include the original sales receipt when I turned in the form because it was an "in store adjustment" the 11% rebate was not listed on the bottom of the receipt and that is why originals would have to be mailed along with the form. I informed the service rep that form #4700 was submitted at the same time as several others and all the rebates were issued with the exception of #4700. Finally realizing the In Store Adjustment is nothing more than a scam and further inquiries would be useless I informed the service rep I will be more than willing to provide, in the spring, a receipt for all materials related to a multilevel deck and sun room. Unfortunately, for Menards, that receipt will be from Home Depot. I doubt I will hear back from Menards anytime soon.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

We just finished remodeling our kitchen. Some of items we bought were on the 11% rebate. We mailed in the rebates each time we purchased an item that was on this promotion. We have gotten all the rebates but the biggest one we turned in. When I went to research it, it was not showing up in their system. I called the local Menards and was told there were 3 possible explanations: 1. I mailed the rebate to the wrong address. 2. I entered my address incorrectly. 3. The typical answer-the mail lost it.

Let me just say I have their address saved on my computer and print the label each time. And since this is the first rebate I haven't gotten, that excuse doesn't work. As for my returned address, it hasn't changed in 30 years. I'm ready to start the next house project which is to remodel the bathroom and have been waiting on this rebate. If Menards is willing to lose thousands of dollars on future sales for a lousy 278.00 rebate, they obviously don't want or need my business.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Purchased over $2000 worth of merchandise during the Menards 11% rebate on everything sale. Been 6 months have yet to receive the rebate. Would have been cheaper to go somewhere else. My bad for not keeping a copy of the receipt and rebate, still why should a consumer have to keep track of something that a business advertises.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Purchased a paint sprayer that was defective. Returned it 2 hours later to be told that it was the manufacturer's problem. They would not exchange or refund my money. Staff was rude!!! Buyer beware if you purchase from this chain, you will not get a refund if the item comes with a manufacturer's warranty. I will not shop at any Menards.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Again went to S. Side Menards and the 5 things they had on sale, WERE NOT on the shelf! I've been told that they had no time to get them out if I'm the first one there at 6:30 a.m. so That they're all sold out already if I come at 9a.m. It's a Joke! True Value might cost more but WORTH IT!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Menards?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I purchased tiles to redo my flooring in my basement bathroom during their 11% rebate. I Mailed in my rebate form along with the receipt and waited for my rebate check to arrive. It was past their 6 weeks time frame so I decided to go on their website to check on the status. The website status said they mailed my rebate check out 9/26/17 and that was two weeks from the date I checked on the status. I looked for a phone number to customer service and it doesn’t seem like you can speak to a live person. The only way to contact them was thru email. I emailed and received a response 3 days later that my rebate was sent on 9/26/17. The email was of no help since I already knew that and had requested for them to reissue it.

I had to respond back. I needed it reissued as previously stated in my original email. It is now November 2017. I still have not received my rebate check and not a response to my 2nd email. I just sent another email requesting a call or manager to resolve this. The rebate wasn’t for a large amount but they need to make good on their end. It is extremely frustrating that a company like Menards can’t afford to have live customer service reps to speak to and the email responses are terrible! I will no longer support such a company that does not value their customers!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Purchased a steam washer and paid for delivery. The machine was not set up correctly and ended up leaking water all over the carpet in the basement. Called Menards and they referred me to the delivery company, who referred me back to the Menards customer service deck. 3 months of calling and they still haven't made it right. We are now using this washer without the steam option. You can do better with Lowe's or Home Depot free and competent delivery. Bottom line - this company does not stand by their delivery service if there are any issues. I have shopped here for years but they have lost a customer.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

We purchased a countertop set at the Wausau, WI Menards. Took all the pieces home except the large one, which we had to bring a trailer back to haul. When we arrived back at the store 30 some minutes later with the trailer, we were told that the last piece was sold to someone else. They took our money (and STILL have our money for that piece), then let someone else take the item. We were sent out of the store, so we called for a store manager. A man named Craig claiming to be the store manager said that it was too bad, he wasn't going to cut us another piece to match unless we paid an additional $326.89!

He laughed at my daughter over the phone, made fun of her to a woman standing near him while they were on the phone, and threatened to refund the money for all of the pieces (keep in mind that the rest of the pieces were already at the house) then file a police report against her for theft! Emails were sent to the corporate office (not sure if or when we will ever get a response at this point), and complaints filed with the FTC, DOJ and BBB. But as of right now, we are out the money we paid for that piece, and have half a countertop set.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Purchased two appliances from Manchester MO store, stove was excessively hot and a safety hazard so was returned immediately, dishwasher broke after 3 uses. Tried to return it and was told it was out of their return window so couldn't return it for a refund (paid cash for both appliances). Corporate manager was rude-told me to be sure to let everyone know when I am reviewing them that they offered store credit - AS IF I or anyone in my family would ever shop there again. But hey, they'll be happy to sell you more stuff - just don't try and get your money back. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE - if you live in St. Louis, go to Slyman Bros., Lowe's or Home Depot.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Purchased roofing materials and submitted that purchase for the 11% rebate. Decided about a month later that the job was far too big for do it yourselfers and we canceled the delivery requesting a refund. The refund was short the 11% rebate amount. This is now 3 months later and no rebate and we are out the $276. Menards customer service in store refuses to get involved and corporate customer service only says they'll forward to rebates international. All I want is my money back or even the rebate that is in store use only but at least that's something.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Really disgusting practice that Menards has started disguising their rebates as a marketing postcard. Almost threw it away, but I guess that's the idea right. If you don't open it up you would only think you had just thrown away a marketing piece for Doors. Done shopping at Menards forever.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

After contacting customer service (only able to communicate via email), I was told I would have to bring our shower door back to a store. I was unable to ship back to vendor. For us to take it back to the store we would incur a 25% restocking fee which amounted to about $200. After many more emails, I discovered on the bottom of their return policy that ANYTHING ordered online is a special order and subject to the 25% restocking fee. The fact that anything ordered online is a special order and subject to the 25% restocking fee should be clearly stated when you order. So not only are they making money off of us from the sale of the shower door but then they're making another $200 off of us with their restocking fee. I find this very customer unfriendly! I will never use Menards again and I warn anyone else, friends and family, and anyone reading this to be aware.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Ordered a shed kit, to start it’s not a kit but a list of pull your own supplies and special order frames that took 7 days to get in stock and were damaged from strapping during transport. 2x4 that were smashed by 1/2-1 inch on the 2 outside trusses making the board less than half the size and causing a weak point in my building trusses, this was in 3 spots on 2 trusses. The reply as to why did I buy damaged trusses is, "We have an acceptable amount of breakage from transportation and I feel it’s within that. No one ever complains. Why are you." I immediately asked for a full refund, even though I had already loaded everything except the damaged supplies. Two different managers told me this is acceptable damage. Take it or leave it. Great. My money spends elsewhere that doesn’t have acceptable amount of breakage.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I ordered a chainsaw from their website. It arrived with oil spilled inside the packing. I called. They said it would not be a problem, they tested them before shipping. I tried to start it with the gas that was already in it when it arrived. (That's important, because one of their tricks is if the customer puts gas in, they won't take it back.) They don't not have a customer service number. Only an email. I sent an email. The only thing their reply said was, "Did you put gas in the unit?" Clearly trying to avoid responsibility. I called the particular store from which it was shipped. Again. I spoke to someone who said they were in the manager's office. They said they would get back to me. They have not.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Worst customer service, I spent 12 hours plus trying to get the right products order after 4 visits to the store. I thought all the problems were ironed out. Nope, wrong items were sent out "special order" so to return it's a 25% restock fee after I corrected their mistake and was still sent the wrong item. Delivery was a fiasco. I showed them pics of where it was to be placed and they said, “No problem. It will be the standard fee of $69”. It arrived today and the driver refused to place it where it was supposed to be delivered.. without paying an additional fee. Plus it arrived 2 hours late. Never will I do business with Menards. The gm at the Kenosha WI. To go ** myself. I had 3 guy on the clock waiting on the delivery of the materials and that the way you treat someone who just sent 1200 on a package that they messed up... DONT BUY FROM MENARDS.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My issue is with the Menards credit card as provided by Capital One. I tried to use my Menards card at checkout and it was declined. Knowing I had a $0 balance I went straight to the car and called Capital One. They told me that I failed to answer a correspondence from them asking me for my physical address. I never (possibly overlooked) saw this request so of course I never gave them the address. Because I never did this, they simply closed my account with no notice.

First of all, I live in a village where there are NO mailboxes. Only P.O. boxes so you cannot even use my physical address. Second, why not simply call me for this information and all would be fine. They told me that it would be 7-10 days to re-open my account. After 12 days passed without any contact I called them. They told me that it would take yet another 7-10 days. After 5 more days they actually called and said that I would have to reapply and start all over. Again, all of this because I failed to give them my physical address which again absolutely cannot be used for anything. I have been a VERY LOYAL customer to Menards for years and have had great credit standing with them as well.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I ordered a fireplace insert that was on clearance. It was 150.00, I paid half the price. Then I paid to have the item shipped to my house because it said it was not available for pick up and did not have the original box. That should have thrown up a red flag! When the item arrived I opened up the box and could not believe it was plastic formed around cardboard to mimic a steel grate and birch logs. It was so pathetic. Not at all what was described. Also no receipt! When I went to return the item they told me I had to pay a 25% restocking fee!!! Remember it was a discontinued item!!! Then they said I would have to pay to ship this piece of plastic back!!! I do not recommend this at all. What a complete disappointment!! Then when I went to put this review in I seen they have 237 other 1 star reviews!! I wish I would have found this site first. If I could give them a 5 star (negative) review that's what would give them.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I purchased T7G Doodles Fir Porch flooring online. Set the delivery up. I called to confirm the correct delivery address, Menards then delivered it a day late and to the wrong address. My guys had to go get the materials and make the correct delivery. The head GM at Menards in Normal, IL then proceeded to drop the "F" bomb on me, and tell me it was all my fault. Then we had to return 70 pieces out of the 160 pieces we had ordered, due to bad material in one way or another.

Then because we placed the order online, we couldn't get a refund using the online receipt, I had to go in there myself. I have a total of 5 hours invest in returning $600 worth of flooring. AS a customer, as a business owner, I feel like Menards is one of the most difficult companies to do business with. They insulate themselves from their customers and the delivery company in such a way that there seems to be no way of getting any real accountability from them as a company. This is my first review of Menards, but not my only complaint. I should have been doing this for the last 25 years.

Here is my complaint to them on their private review site - I own Prairie Renovation in Bloomington, IL 61701. On Monday Sept. 4, 2017 I placed an order for Douglas Fir, T & G Porch flooring online. I place a fair amount of orders online, and I called in right away to make sure that the order was going to go to the correct place (job site), as I was going to be traveling out of town and I wanted my guys to have the materials that they needed. I wanted them delivered on Thurs 9/7/2017.

I got a call on Thurs saying the delivery would happen on Fri. Then I got a call on Friday morning from the delivery driver, he said he was dropping the supplies in front of my door (at my shop) instead of the job site. Needless to say, I'm upset. But it got much worse when I called the local Menards to talk to someone about this, and the GM in Normal, IL - "Darrin" got on the phone with me. He wasn't helpful and he used the "F" word with me. Now I've been in business for 30 years, and I've never done that, nor do I think it's even remotely professional or acceptable. I've been a customer for a very long time, and with all of this last debacle, I'm debating on whether or not I want to stay a customer. I would appreciate it if someone would follow up with me at **.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I purchased 168 patio bricks 8 x 16 (7-5/8 x 15-1/4). The bricks are poorly manufactured. The width 7-5/8 ranges from 7-1/2 to 7-13/16 making it impossible to match up lines. I have my lawn all ripped up and ready to install these bricks only to find out they are not square or close to the same width. Some vary by 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch from end to end. I called the Saginaw Menards where I purchased them, the Manager said "Let me go measure what we have. You must have got a bad batch." She called back to inform me she had measured what they have in stock and they measured 7-1/2 to 7-3/4. These are worse than what I already have. She said I could search through the 3 pallets they have to see if I can find 168 the same size. I asked her to do that because I don't know what size to look for. The manager was not willing to help.

I asked for the store Director. He was no help and a liar. All he would do is return my money or charge me over 2 times as much for a different similar brick. I asked if he was willing to help on the price since the other bricks are defective. His reply was "They are not defective. "All bricks have some variance." Really 1/8" to 3/16" from end to end and you think they are going to line up. That's funny, I measured about 50 bricks for width and length width varied by 1/4" but the length was 15-1/4" on every brick, did not vary more than the width of the line on my tape measure. Then he said "I was with the manager when she measured the top layer and they didn't vary by a 1/16", so someone there is lying so basically bring them back or pay over 2x more we are not going to help you. The part that really upsets me is the lying. This will be my LAST purchase from Menards!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

DO NOT PURCHASE YOUR DECKING MATERIALS FROM MENARDS. I spent over $2,500 on lumber for a new deck from Menards, after it was installed 5 months later every post was split and twisted in place. My brand new deck looked like total crap, also this made my handrail become unstable and unsafe. Menards did exchange the 15 post I had to replace but will not help me out on having to pay for the cost of labor for my contractor to take them out and replace them.

No one should have to pay twice for the cost of labor to switch out the post only 5 months after having them installed. The brochure that Menards has on the quality of lumber they carry states "premium grade of lumber" as well as, "built in water repellent". I think not, this is the worst lumber I have ever seen. I understand lumber does weather over time and is unpredictable, but 5 months later?? I wrote Menards a two page letter letting them know what I had experienced with the lumber. They sent me a FORM letter and did not offer me anything in return for having to pay for labor again. Their "premium lumber" is not so "premium", it's crap.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I special ordered an item online yesterday and my order has been cancelled today due to Menards falsely advertising the price of the item, and then not willing to honor the online price. Unfortunately, I sold a personal belonging of mine to afford this item because of the great deal that was advertised online, and today I get an email stating that the order has been cancelled due to their mistake? Now I no longer own the personal item that I sold, and I am not getting the item from Menards to replace the one that I have sold. I have tried numerous times to contact the customer service, but they are refusing to resolve this issue.

I am furious as a customer, and I will take my business elsewhere from this point forward. Myself, a few family members, and also many close friends have been loyal to Menards as customers, as a lot of us are contractors that purchase from Menards on a daily basis. I have informed them all of this situation. Thanks for causing me an incredible inconvenience!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

We have yet to receive our counter tops from Menards. These were ordered in May and it is the middle of August and we still do not have a kitchen. I have to call every other day and have them check the status. They do not follow through and check with the vendor without a call. It has been one problem after another. They were off an inch on measurements, they did a customize on the sink (can't do that for an under sink), had a sink in the order that didn't have a template from American Standard, etc. Issue after issue and until you call and ask, it just sits in limbo.

Also, there is no such thing as management to speak with. They just transfer you to the department. I went to the store and speak to a manager (they tried to tell me she wasn't there) and that did nothing. She won't check on my counters and give me updates either. I understand if it was the 1st or 2nd issue, but we are on about the 5th now. I am sure Mr. Menard would not put up with no kitchen. We have a table in the back bedroom with a coffee pot and NuWave, our old frig is in the living room (while the new one is outside in the garage in the heat) and we are using a sink in our basement laundry room for dishes.

We don't feel this is the customer service us or anyone else should be receiving. I could go on, but what good would it do. We have paid, yet they say if we cancel there is a restocking fee. Isn't that stealing? If someone from Menards want to contact me, please do. I have too many order numbers to list below in the one order number spot. We were doing our whole kitchen with Menards and are out a lot of money for no kitchen. They don't seem to care when you remind them that every change is a change with a contractor.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

When going to Menards the rebate system is what brings me to this store, but I will not be using my card there anymore. 6-8 weeks I understand but 4 to 6 months why bother. You try to track or call anyone and no personnel at store can answer any questions for you, and the number to call is the credit card company that deals with your bill only. It's the Biggest racket going on a new way to take your money. I will not recommend, buy, or visit again!!! Thanks for Nothing.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I ordered 2 light bulbs. The shipping and handling added up to the cost of the light bulbs. Then I got a notice from the Post Office to pick up the package because there was postage due!!! I almost fell over. The bulbs were just placed in an envelope. No box and anything to keep them from breaking. What a disgrace! I paid over $5 to have 2 light bulbs shipped and that didn't even cover the postage. How does this place stay in business!!!

Original review: July 28, 2017

Menards 96th street. Indianapolis. When I opened the boxed product, I discovered it was used and did not work. Menards manager agreed it was obviously used (dirty, covered in paint splatters), but would not agree to a refund. After arguing for about 20 minutes I agreed to a replacement which also did not work. I returned the original product within about 45 minutes of purchase. The production date on the product did not match the exterior production date of box. I'm not complaining about the product (it's made in China, you take your chances), but basically being told I'm a trying to rip them off when the manager said "You see how this looks from my point of view". I'm keeping the second up-clarifier even though it doesn't work as a reminder to not waste my time at Menards.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I recently placed a small lumber order on line with Menards for pickup. At the lumber desk I was given directions to where my lumber was stored. When I drove to where my smart side boards was supposed to be stored I couldn't see them. I asked a nearby Menards employee if he could help me find and then cut the 16 ft. boards into 8 foot lengths so that they would fit in my SUV. Jeff stopped what he was doing and said that my car was right in front of the boards and that he would be glad to cut them.

He went right to the wood that I had purchased and pulled the 16 footers out, carried them to the saw, cut the boards in half then loaded them into my car for me. This guy was great, I was really impressed with the size of Menards lumber yard and storage barns, but service that I received from Jeff was even more impressive. I have visited and made purchases from the Wixom Michigan Menards and always found helpful employees throughout the store; at the registers and customer service center. I would highly recommend Menards Wixom for any home improvement project.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I had an issue with my order that I had delivered and after talking to several people, who all tried to help - from customer service, to contractors desk, to delivery, to cashier, I was directed to Megan at the front of the West Fargo Store. She was amazing! Professional, courteous, understanding and willing to go out of her way to assist me, even though she was busy. It took a bit to get it taken care of but she handled it and even called me personally later that evening when all paperwork was submitted, and computer was updated. After 30 plus years working in a service industry it is so refreshing to be treated as if my problem is more important than anything else. Thank You Megan for your assistance. And thank you to all the Menards employees who also tried to assist me. I will continue to drive past the competition's stores to get to this store just because they treated me so well. Thank you again. Great Job!

Original review: July 18, 2017

On 7/9/2017 purchased item #6736057 Jensen Pulldown Kitchen faucet for $99.0. On 7/16 /2017 Menard offer 11% purchased item #6736057 Jensen Pulldown Kitchen faucet price went up for $114.0. So end up pay more even after rebate. It is scam.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I Purchased a Whirlpool 14CF Top White refrigerator Model WRT104TFDWOO SN VS50744795 from Menards in Rhinelander Wisconsin on July 10, 2015 for a price of $476 plus taxes. I did not purchase an Extended Warranty. The Unit developed a Cabinet Leak on March 10, 2017. The Refrigerator lasted 1.6 Years. A Certified Ref Tech told me it could not be fixed and it was most likely a Manufacturing Defect ($84). Menards wished me well in finding a solution to getting the unit fixed. There are more units like this out there. Beware.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Purchased flooring from West Fargo Menards and some from Moorhead. When we bought it in West Fargo the man from the flooring department told us it was the same as the snap together and told us which padding to buy for the underlayment. The floor has now separated up to 2 inches in some places. When filled out install complaint form, vendor said no underlayment should have been applied so they will not refund us and Menards says too bad basically. They say the vendor is self-explanatory, so for your inconvenience but there is nothing they will do. Don't listen to the workers there I guess as they send you down a path of destruction and won't make it right. There is no number at customer service center in Wisconsin that you can actually talk to. They won't even put a number on the correspondence they send in the mail. They are dedicated to customer service, yeah right!!

Menards Company Information