1.22/5

459 Menards Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 30, 2019

I am disappointed to hear so many bad stories about Menards. I just purchased a home and have been using Menards to Reno because I had a credit card. I have been nothing but pleased by the knowledge and customer service that both of my local Menards have provided!! If it weren't for some of the workers there, I would have been totally lost. I will continue to always use Menards over Lowe's (they are really the only two big warehouse options in my area).

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Couldn't find the right ceiling fan/light in 2 Menards Stores. Resorted to better selection ordering from Menards online. We thought we found the perfect fan with all the particulars we needed. Received fan very fast < 48 hrs after placing order. Husband found it easy to install. Directions weren't specific on determining which wire was for the fan control vs the light. We already had the wall switch/dimmer for operating fan and light in use from previous ceiling fan. He figured it out with one of his tricks. It looks beautiful. Operates whisper quiet but it's only been up a few days and not used in the winter.

Only issue is that the light fixture really only provides mood lighting. The light globe that came with it is a lovely amber glass which was stated on the description. It also came with 2 incandescent 60 W, candelabra tip bulbs. That just doesn't brighten the room up enough to find things buried in dresser drawers etc. It's being used in a bedroom. The description of fan failed to note the candelabra tip bulbs which we believe provide less bright light. We then changed bulbs to LED, daylight. That helped only some. Now the light that is cast in the room is an odd greenish color. It's some brighter with the bulb change but because the light globe is amber and the fixture only has 2 bulbs-small tip it seems it's just not bright enough when you want the max lighting. It doesn't seem that Menards has a replacement globe in white. But need to continue to shop around.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I was at Menards in Traverse City, MI yesterday and worked with an associate named Liz in the kitchen cupboard section. She was a delight... She took all the time I needed and helped me on the computer to do a layout of a booth you think cabinets. She was very informed and very patient. You could tell she love her job and knew what she was doing. Thank you Liz.

Original review: July 15, 2018

My husband and I shop at the Menards in Pekin, Illinois regularly. More often than not, an extended warranty is purchased with major products. In May of 2018, a self propelled push lawn mower and a weed trimmer stopped working after the first use in the spring. They were both still under the extended warranty. I called Menards to find out where to take them to be fixed. They instructed us to take them to Small Engine Speciality in either Peoria or Washington, Illinois. We opted to use the one in Washington.

After 9 weeks and numerous phone calls to Small Engine Specialists, it was obvious they were't in a hurry to fix our merchandise, the warranty by this time had expired on the weed trimmer. I proceeded to go into the store and tell the manager the problem. Menards tried numerous times to call SES without any success. Menards stood behind the warranty/took the merchandise that didn't work & replaced it with new merchandise. Kudos to Menards!

Original review: June 22, 2019

I ordered 30 bundles of shingles online from the Sioux City, IA store. We have two properties; I entered our old house address as the shipping address and our current house address as the bill to address on 6/21/19. The site stated the shingles could be delivered the next day, 6/22/19; so I selected it. The shipping department from Menards called me about an hour later and said that the delivery truck would not be available on 6/22 because it would be in the shop; but they could put it on the truck today, 6/21. I told them that would be fine. About 3 hours later the driver called me and said he couldn't find my house. He stated he had my current house address and I told him that wasn't the correct address and he told me to text him the correct address, so I did.

I didn't hear any more from him, so I called him back about an 1 1/2 later to see if found the house okay and he said he took it back to Menards and didn't even attempt to deliver it. He was very rude! I went to the store and spoke to the manager and she would not listen, just stated that was the only address they had. I advised her they needed to check their online ordering because something was wrong with it. All she kept saying is they've NEVER had any problems like this and that I would have to pay another shipping fee to get it delivered. I told her to forget it! It was the most frustrating experience ever!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Menards?

Original review: June 19, 2019

Bought 7000 dollars worth concrete block. It was set up to be delivered in 4 deliveries. I could call when I was ready for each delivery. Well if you wait more than 6 months to call. No one has a clue as to what was sent or what is to be sent. No call. No email. Just frustration from the managers. Come on Menards, where is the data? They ask me to come up with the paperwork. Once they get your money...

Original review: June 19, 2019

Installation of storm door was not completely finished by by Motown Construction/George **. The trim on the new door is narrower than on the old door, leaving 10 holes around the trim and a large hole with exposed wires next to the doorbell. He refused to caulk around the door. The general manager of the Wixom Menards refused to intervene. The corporate office in Eau Claire Wisconsin refused to help, saying it was my fault for not checking the contractor's references, even though the store is the one that gives the customers the referrals. Would not buy a rusty nail from any Menards!!

Original review: June 17, 2019

I bought two bottles of Buggins bug spray last week. The package was delivered last Thursday with only one bottle enclosed. I've been trying to get the second bottle sent to me since that day and it's been nothing but a fiasco. Nobody replied for 4 days. Then I was asked to send a picture of the one bottle I received. Now I'm waiting for them to decide whether or not they are going to make it right. If ordering multiple quantities, I urge you to choose a different vendor--one with a reputation for quality customer service. That way, if the their employees cannot count past 1, the company will make it right, not make it your headache. I will NEVER order from Menards.com again, even if it means paying a little more elsewhere.

Original review: June 16, 2019

Sent multiple emails with no response. The people in the store is clueless. They glued the item that I purchased to the box. And never gave me the charger that comes with the item. Like really. I have spoken to 5 different stores and online no one knows about. Will never buy from them again. They had their chance and they blew it. When you buy stuff online, it's buy at your own risk because you are not going to get a response. No wonder they are small they cant do business right.

Original review: June 14, 2019

This review is about their online service. On May 28th I ordered a stair nose molding from their website. I paid more in shipping than the item cost which is fine because I needed it for project I was to start in a week. A few hours later I get email package shipped via FedEx. Great should be here soon. After 3 days I check FedEx website which shows label was created but not shipped. I wait 4 more days. Check FedEx again. Still say label created but no travel. So I contact customer service via Menards website. I had to do this twice because no response first time.

Second time a Dan ** responded and gave me a new tracking # and said my item shipped. Ok. A week passes and I check new tracking number. FedEx says same thing, label created will update when they receive item. At this point I order the molding from another vendor which arrived in 3 days. I finish my project with other vendor item and the Menards order NEVER arrived. It's now June 13 and FedEx website still shows only label created. So I email Dan ** and fill out their online form to cancel order form. Dan ** emails me back to let me know I can get a refund but less shipping fees... on an item that was never shipped! I will be calling my credit card. I'm done dealing with these fraudsters. Do NOT ORDER ONLINE, it's a CON!

Original review: June 13, 2019

I ordered wastebaskets online just because they no longer sell them in the store. They held the package for days after the shipping label was created before sending out. Finally get a confirmation that it had been delivered but it was not there. After finally locating the package I was waiting on it was covered in small bugs and not even the item I ordered. Tried many of times to email and call but had to leave messages which never got returned and they would not get me to a live person when calling the switchboard until I threatened to dispute the charges.

A lady comes on the line requiring me to send pictures proving it or she won't do anything for me. After days of trying to get a hold of someone I was not getting off the phone without it being resolved and I'm not going to carry an item that I didn't order around with me. I told her better yet she could send a return shipping label and have the product back but she still refused to do anything without a picture sent to her. What happened to customer service these days because Menards sure doesn't have any.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I called the contracted appliance delivery man to tell him about the large scrape he had left in my three-week old hardwood kitchen flooring. He immediately denied doing so and lashed out so intensely that I felt very threatened. I am very afraid of this man — I think that was his intention to make certain I drop the case! I cannot believe Menards would contract with such a monster!

Original review: June 7, 2019

I shopping at Menards Mount Prospect location, as I was paying for items when the cashier accused me of stealing while she was ringing up my items. I told her to please review her videotapes. I have not taken anything and why would I be purchasing items? With the crazy look in her eye after I paid for my goods I left the store. She then called security and chased me in the parking lot of Menards. This isn’t the first time that I’ve personally witnessed this with the same cashier. She did the same thing a year ago with a different customer. I am a good customer at Menards but I WILL NEVER SHOP AT MENARDS AGAIN!! SHOULD I SEEK LEGAL ACTION?

Original review: June 6, 2019

My contractor designed and order materials for new deck through Menards. Menards delivered a day late. They delivered incorrect materials and attempted to charge a restocking charge. They delivered short and delivered incorrect cladding. In short, I am stuck waiting another 2 weeks for the correct materials to arrive. I am remodeling my entire first floor from new entrances, new windows, new kitchen, new flooring, new appliances. I have purchased 80% from Home Depot without one problem. Tried to buy the deck and a few items from Menards and have had problems with every order. Don't buy from these people.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Never cared for the lack of complete plumbing inventory, and the need to re-engineer your piping based on the inventory in hand, but then the “bums rush” at the register to have to quickly pack your stuff before the next guy runs over you. And now that I have bought lumber and had to deal with going all thru the store to purchase, then drag trailer out back. And not knowing where anything was. And no help in finding it. It was easier at Lowe’s, grab a cart, load and go.

And it WILL be Lowe’s from now on.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I placed an online order on 5/23/19 for 20 cu yds of black mulch to be delivered to my home. Menards cancelled the order on 5/28/19 without any input from me and for no reason. What??? I will never order anything from Menards online again, and will try to shop at Lowe's or Home Depot before I ever set foot inside another Menards store.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I decided to order a shower including the base/glass, and then a surround with an insert. The total came to about $1750. The base w/glass came as ship to home only for free. So I had selected the other two free shipping items as ship to home for my convenience not realizing it would cost me $155 shipping. The total was $1900+. My mistake, as soon as I hit the order button online is where the nightmare began. Yes I realize it was my mistake. I did not realize they have zero avenues to talk to an actual person over the phone. Everything must be done through email.

Upon my mistake, I immediately opened an online ticket to cancel my order. Or if possible ship the surround and insert to the store to save $155 in shipping costs. It took 2 full days to get a response saying they couldn't do anything and if I wanted to do something I would have to cancel my order. I responded asking some questions like could I speak to someone on the phone, and could they redirect shipping to store for me, they took over 24 hours to respond with another no and that they can't speak over the phone, only email. I have since requested they respond in a more timely manner and cancel my order immediately and am waiting on another response.

The email system is God awful, I had sent them 2 emails within a few hours of each other and they took 24 hours to respond to the oldest one, and didn't even answer the most recent. It is the worst system for customer service I have ever experienced, when you can't even talk to a person to resolve an issue over the phone. Not only that, it takes 24 hours for someone to respond to each inquiry you send to them, and they seemingly respond to each separately at the rate of one response per day. I will be swiftly cancelling my Menards card and using Lowe's and Home Depot entirely going forward. I really had no issues with Menards otherwise after using them for almost 15 years, until I decided to test the online waters and (even though initially it was my mistake) the customer service is basically non-existent.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I purchased a side by side refrigerator and dishwasher from Menards and paid for delivery and removal of old appliances (over $200). The salesman didn’t tell me that I would need to purchase a power cord for the dishwasher or that I would be charged $65 by the deliver person to have the doors removed from the refrigerators to get them in and out of the house. It would have been nice to know this prior to the purchase. Had I known this I would have shopped at Home Depot!!!

Original review: May 14, 2019

Although it seems the quality of the material these patio chairs are made of is good, the workmanship on them is extremely poor. You must put them together by screwing a bolt into a pre-made hole. The hole has a nut welded onto it. You cannot get a single screw into these holes as there is welding slag blocking the way on some, and on others the nut is welded on crooked so the holes don't line up. This is true with every single hole on these chairs. I needed to drill out the welding slag, and re-thread the holes in order to get them together. A homeowner that just wants to bolt these together as you should be able to do, will not be able to get them together. I have put together many Ikea and Swedish furniture pieces for people, and every single hole lines up. These chairs are made in China. Menards should do better.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The online store = total disgrace, pathetic customer support, no real phone support, poor delivery service. Avoid. Nothing professional about them, they treat customers like ** and fail to resolve problems.

Original review: May 8, 2019

No customer service number. Have to use email. Takes a week to get a reply. Been waiting on items for over a month and they won’t cancel them because they say they are shipped. Had to file a dispute with my credit card company. Don’t Order online from Menards.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I ordered online which I started to do a year or 2 ago. Most the time all is great. Go to store and pick it up. Or go in store and purchase. Sometimes order and have Menards deliver. I sent three trucks from their Warren Ohio store to our build site in New York. NO issues other than minor items which we had to get fixed. Never dealt with customer service before. 1st time I order a item and they could of deliver for less than $13, so I thought great. Well FedEx said they delivered the item, and the Exact time they said they did. We had a local window film contractor in the drive and working on the Front windows. No way FedEx could of delivered without him or the other 2 people (Wife and Granddaughter) there at the time knowing.

I offered that information to both FedEx and Menards. The contractor was willing to talk to them. Menards stuck to their faulty story. I sent many emails and asked to then to call. So I even called and requested a callback. Well no one ever called back. Did the same with FedEx. Well I am sorry to say after 45 years dealing with Menards as a loyal customer even purchasing from them and trucking material to New York I am done. Purchased the item from the Home Depot. Why should I go through the extra miles 300+ miles to deal with a company that even though they have good prices, treat customers the way they did. So I am Done with Menards.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I live in Oklahoma. Ordered some lumber siding online and paid to have it shipped to my house in OK. Delivery date was said to be between 4-16-19 and 4-18-19. Here we are on 4-23-19 and I still don't have my lumber. It is at the shippers yard in OKC. So I had to take off work tomorrow (self-employed) to go to OKC with my trailer and pick up the stuff that I paid to have delivered to my house. BEWARE!!! BEWARE!!! They quite literally did not deliver what I paid for. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Bait and Switch tactics and store manager is very unprofessional. Bought items online Nov 2018 and went to store April 19 to see what's up with order. Everything on back order. The items we bought were a great price but it seems they only did it to scam the customer. We canceled order and they would only give us store credit. I'm not buying anything else from Menards and they didn't have what I wanted. Customer service is a joke. They said you only get store credit if you return something after 90 days. I get that but we didn't return anything. We never got anything but they did have our money for 5 months.

Original review: April 8, 2019

So I bought a 7x10.5 ft. Rubbermaid shed, paid for it and asked if I could pick it up in a week or so since I had my car and no way to take it home at that time. Was told no problem. That it would be taken out of inventory and would be there waiting for me! Went to Menards in Fremont Nebraska to pick up my shed this Sunday and they sold it and it is no longer available so they can't get me another one! They did offer me a smaller shed from a different manufacturer for a little more money than I had originally paid but I decided that I would not do that!

Even though they have promised me a refund my complaint is that they shouldn't have sold my shed in the first place as I had already paid for it so it was no longer theirs to sell. Plus they should have just told me that I needed to pick it up right away and all would have been fine! Shame on you MENARDS for the poor customer service! I've been a loyal customer of the Menards store in Fremont Nebraska for somewhere between 15 and 20 years and this is how you treat your loyal customers. Shame on you!

Original review: April 2, 2019

Very Upset about flooring poor quality Teak Bamboo Flooring. Poor quality and Menards use products from China. Of course your warranty will be no longer accepted and some companies are gone can even contact to them, I will be back to Home Depot and Lowe's, also not coming back.

Original review: March 29, 2019

On 1/11/2019, I purchased a shower insert at Menards. I did not get any paperwork to fill out the rebate, so I called the Menards where it was picked up by my handyman (closest was over 100 miles). I tried downloading the rebate, but every time I put the rebate number in, it was "invalid". I then called the gentleman I spoke to said it was online, however, when I shared what happened, he sent me the rebate receipt. Thank goodness I made copies of everything.

I waited until at least 8-10 weeks to receive the rebate. I then called the main office. I was transferred to the "Rebate" department. The recorded message instructions were to send copies of everything regarding the rebate to Eau Claire, WI. The recording was very specific about the spelling of Eau Claire, which made me wonder why. So now, I have to send in the paperwork again with a letter stating that I did not get my rebate. I can't help but wonder if this is a technique they use. I am sure there are some people who just send in the paperwork, and fail to make copies and then get the recorded message and have no paperwork. I am sure there are some people who try to call, and then just give up! I can't help but wonder if I send the copies of the copy I made, if I will get the rebate of $43.89. My last wonderment is why isn't there a website for Menards to leave reviews!

Original review: March 28, 2019

For decades we used Menards for our home building supplies. We looked at products, read the reviews, made informed choices, and, for the most part, we're happy with our purchases. Lately, the quality has gone way down. And, they pulled customer product reviews! So there is no way to learn if a product was satisfactory. Even the sales clerk at the store told us a few days ago, with a puzzled look on his face, "no, we don't have reviews on our products." What the heck? Please bring back the customer product reviews and gain back our trust. Until you do, we will shop at a home building supply store that has customer reviews for their products.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I called Menards and spoke with Building Materials. I was interested in a Barnwood they have listed in the ad this week. All the locations in my area are sold out prior to the sale. So now you have a sale item that isn't available in store. They don't offer a raincheck and when I went to order online was charged a Package and Handling Charge which ate up the sale! Spoke with someone in the store and there was no way around this. I feel they are falsifying ads and putting products that aren’t even available. Poor customer service... I will be taking my business to Home Depot. Amy.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Placed order for an American Standard sink on their Website. After 2 days, I changed my mind and attempted to cancel order. I was informed by Menards that the item was special order and could not be canceled and would I have to incur a 20 percent restocking fee - even though the sink had not even left their facility.

Menards Company Information