1.37/5
Based on 75 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

386 Menards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

Employee helped load already damaged $700 entry door into my brand new truck. He proceeded to push door into bed and damaged tailgate. Filled out accident report and they refused to pay the measly $200 it would have cost to fix... Gonna lose a lot more than that because my family and I refuse to shop there anymore!!!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I was at the Brooklyn Park, MN. Menards on 6-15 today and the customer service was horrible. The female that I asked for help used every excuse to not help me, ranging from "it's not my dept." to "I'm sorry I just can't help you", so when the guy from the hardware dept came to help me he had an attitude also because he had to get down a pallet of oil for me. No one other than the cashier who was nice said Hello and Thank you. When I spoke with the manager on the floor about this she had a crappy attitude also. Since they have redone that store the people they hire just plain SUCK. Won't shop there again!!!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We ordered all our house interior doors at Menards on 5/19. 17 sets of doors were to be made by Mastercraft a special order vendor with Menards. We were assured that the doors would arrive in a weeks time and that text message would follow apprising us of the delivery. Sure enough a week later (5/26) we received a text saying doors were ready for pick up. We lined up our installers/carpenters to pick them up but were given only 6 doors. We were told the rest would come later.

After 5 more days we get a text about arrival of doors. This time we ask them for delivery however only 6 are delivered. Our carpenters had another half day wasted. We made several calls to Menards to no avail. Nobody could definitively tell us the status of the doors. Finally in utter frustration we head back to Menards and talk with the manager. His only response is that it was out of his hands and he didn't know the whereabouts of the doors. We were told to deal with one of his salesman. He finally assured us that all doors would arrive by 6/15.

In the meantime we have had a call from their installation contracting dept. that all doors are in. Another false alarm since they had no clue as to the status of the doors and had not bothered to check. Apparently the computer records were not updated they tell us now. After another few days we were blessed with one only one more door. Today we come to know that the remaining doors will not be delivered until 6/21 a full week after what was a definitive deadline. We have now totally lost it. Excuses have ranged from bad workmanship and returns to shipping issues.

Now the latest excuse is that MasterCraft (the manufacturer) have run out of raw material. I am an Architect and it's normal that there maybe a day or 2 day or even a week delay but I have yet to see such gross delays. What is most frustrating and infuriating is the total lack of responsibility, accountability or any remorse from managers or asst. Managers. Their only response is that it, "Is out of our hands".

Their record keeping is awful. Sales manager don't know whats happening in receiving and the manager has no grip over anything. I frankly don't know how they manage. If this keeps on I don't see how they are going to survive amongst their competitors. We are at this moment at their mercy and they know it. We have absolutely no recourse but to grin and bear it. I am finding it extremely difficult to say this (because I am a fair person) but my experience with Menards customer Service is the most awful I have had with any store. Disgusting!!! They are a huge store with lots of goods but they lack the most important item in their store and that's a heart.

Original review: June 12, 2018

This company has dozens and dozens of complaints, we purchase a lawn mower out the box, turn out to be used with missing parts, will not run. When we try to return it, "SORRY BUT ONCE YOU PUT GAS IN IT, YOU CAN'T RETURN IT." This Lawn Mower was already used. Look the other reviews about this company.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Avoid this company like the plague. For the sake of your sanity do not shop at Menards, specifically the one in Warren, Michigan. I purchased a toilet there in March 2017, had it installed in August 2017 and by January 2018 the toilets’ porcelain had worn off in numerous places in the bowl. When talking about this with various local Menards stores, I was given different ways to deal with the problem. The easiest solution given to me was to return the tank with some pictures showing the damage. This was done and a replacement was provided. The removal and the reinstallation of the replacement cost me $120. Menards told me to submit an installation Complaint Form to their corporate office.

This form, the requested pictures, the receipt, an estimate showing the cost of the reinstallation all had to be sent to their main office in Wisconsin via “snail” mail. There is no phone number or email available to the customers that I could speak with. Their corporate office in Wisconsin has no way to communicate with them to express concerns or complaints. (What big box store has no way to contact the main location directly? What are they hiding from? The store employees claim they also don’t have direct phone contact with the main office either!)

After waiting almost 3 weeks for a response to my submission sent by certified mail since I wanted to be sure this was received, I get a letter in the mail from Menards telling me that they forwarded a copy of my complaint to American Standard who made my Eljer toilet. Soon thereafter, I get a letter from American Standard the manufacturer of the toilets telling me that their warranty does not cover installations and as a “customer courtesy” they were going to send me a $25 Menards gift card. Is this “customer courtesy” a joke? I was advised that I had to call American Standard to confirm receipt of the letter acknowledging the $25 gift card. I had to wait on hold over 30 minutes to get to talk to a person there. The representative there told me that this was the maximum compensation that they would provide. What a joke!

I have reached out to various Menards stores and was even advised by the Wixom store who I should talk with at the Warren store as he, (the Wixom associate) said he would reach out and was sure he could convince the Warren manager to do something for me. The Wixom person gave me the name of Roland to reach out to. I attempted to have a conversation with him and he did not seem interested in helping me in any way. He clearly did not want to have any conversation with me and basically cut me off and I ended the conversation at this point.

As I previously mentioned I spoke with different stores stating different things EXCEPT consistent information stating that the extent of their obligation is to replace the item. An assistant manager of the Warren store told me during one of these conversations that had I just gotten the toilet painted I would not have incurred this reinstallation cost. I asked why that was not an option provided to me and was told that they don’t provide this service. (Why then would that have been a suggestion after the fact)?

Had I known that this could be fixed by painting I would have done that. I have exhausted myself trying to get somebody to help me but nobody will. I do not understand how any big box store can function with no email, fax capability or corporate phone number us to reach a customer service or customer care department. Most stores have management, (loosely used term) that is filled by people that are too young to know of or understand what good customer service is.

Menards has lost me as a customer at all of their local locations as a result of the incompetence, lies and misrepresentations provided from their various stores. While each store carries the Menards name, each store is basically independently owned and operated with inconsistent policies and procedures. Buyer beware unless you are willing to go through extreme grief and aggravation. This may not be the company for you as I know it is certainly not the store for me. I only wish I had gone online to see all the negative feedback about them on the various websites.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Menards?

Original review: June 1, 2018

Great value - Easily found a game for $4 there and it was $8 at Walmart. I spent very little time in the store that was pretty well lit with a beautiful view.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I usually go to Menards Men Falls, Wisc. first since they always have what I need in basic hardware. But it can get really noisy with the music sometimes which I do not like. Nevertheless, the staff are really good.

Original review: May 25, 2018

When they unloaded 16×8 $2000 garage door off they proceeded to walk on boxes as they unloaded... so upon opening they were badly bowed and had scratches in paint. I got a return approved, they were to pick up in 2 days. I started waiting at 8 am, by 2 I wondered, by 6 at night I was mad, by 8:30 now at night. This is the worst. I will never shop Menards and stick with Lowe's and Home Depot. 1st and last time with Menards.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I am very disappointed with today's service when returning items. A person with the name ** at Menards'- Long Grove was very rude and did not want to help me. To my question, if someone else can help me just say NO. I was the only person at her desk so she was not busy. She did not apologize to me. When I asked for a manager, she told me to look for him/her alone. This behavior should not be accepted on the return service. Such a person should not work with customers. She was not competent, she could not find my order, so she only said that I was doing it myself. I am terrified of this situation and it is in such a large store. I will not do more shopping at this store.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Now they have fees for special orders. I ordered something downstairs. Got charged a fee for the special order. Go upstairs two by two $400 toilets. And I was going to get charged another fee for special orders. I said, "No thanks." And went to Home Depot no fee.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I didn't buy anything today, but days when I have, the whole store is enjoyable. Especially the Christmas tree section. I'm an impulsive buyer there. They have way too much stuff to want. Things you think you need when you really don't. This is not a store to go to when you have a small paycheck. Other than that, love the place. And everyone is very helpful.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Ordered a garage door and website had pricing and description wrong. I contacted the vendor and vendor said Menards error to call Menards, Menards said to wait until my order came in. My order comes in wrong, 2 weeks later. Menards held my $1,000 for 4 weeks before telling me it was my fault and they'd be happy to refund my money but could not honor their mistake and get me the right garage door. As a "favor" they waived the restocking fee. Are you serious Menards? IT WAS YOUR ERROR! I stood in line and watched someone return a clearly used item for $450 the day I went in to pick up my item, but the company couldn't eat $200 for their own mistake.

CHANGE YOUR SLOGAN MENARDS! POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND QUALITY! Always an issue when shopping at Menards, it's worth the extra $50 to go to Lowe's and Home Depot and get treated with respect and not run into these types of issues. CORPORATE FIXED ISSUE NEXT DAY on their website, and then contacted me and said the SKU I chose was inaccurate! SERIOUSLY?! I sent in proofs from my phone, screenshots, date stamped! Chesterfield Menards is a joke and management sucks! Corporate was no help and doesn't accept customer calls!

Original review: May 6, 2018

Bought fencing boards today and the forklift guy got the bundle off the top shelf. That is all he did. He would not cut the banding (we did not have a knife) or help us load or even count out the 200 we needed. He also acted like he was in a rush and needed to be elsewhere rather than sitting his butt on the forklift watching us load. The guy at the gate was great however.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Online Ordering... BEWARE. I am a longstanding Menards customer. I have ordered online and picked up in store 10s of thousands of dollars over the last year. When I am setting up to do a job, I go online, select what's available at my store, pay the fee, and set it up for pickup or delivery, based on size of order. Sounds normal, right. I agree, paying for them to pick. It is a stretch, but I do. Well, I placed an order like I have done many times in the past. After I pay, I get a notice that one of my items (Fire Door) came out special order even after I selected in-stock items. I quickly looked for the number to call. There is now, no number. I sent in the contact info stating, "I need the door sooner than you can get it, please send me a comparable in stock item, and I will go with that instead."

I wait 2 days no response. Door is stil in process at the MFG, not to ship for 8 more days... Still no number to call. So, I call the store. They cannot, or will not help me. They transfer me to the front desk, the front desk says the department has to help me. I look online for the corp number. They transfer me to a phone that is NOT answered and only takes Voicemails. Customer service finally responds online. Says, I have to wait for the door to come in, and then they will return it. At a cost of 25% to me for restocking fees. The DOOR HAS NOT LEFT THE FACTORY, remember. This is crazy. I don't know what to do... This will cost me $50 for a mistake they made. Wanted all to know Don't do it. Don't shop there.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I checked online for a product. Based on the online description I decided to buy it at Menards. When I got there I found the online description was wrong and was directed to a different product that cost three times as much. While there I wanted to pick up a different product that I ordered online for a store pickup. As a handicapped person I hate to risk no available motorized carts. I went to the customer service desk, they sent me to the pick up gate outside, they sent me to the special order section outside, he sent me back in to credit the purchase off of my card and to start over so someone could pull the order that I had already paid for and received notice that the order was ready.

In summary it took me an hour and a half to pick up a drill bit to purchase at the store and some common spikes that I had already paid for online. This is similar to previous experiences I have had at Menards that I had considered a fluke or an isolated incident. It clearly is more like their standard operating procedure. I will not be back. Save yourself. Shop elsewhere.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Bought mower April 23, 2018. Put together April 26, 2018. Mowed one strip of grass and the motor froze up. Tried to return to Menards and they wouldn't take it back, replace it or give me my money back because I had put gas in it. How are you suppose to mow without gas in it. So now I am forced to find a service center to take a brand new mower to get it fixed. It hasn't even been used. There was also another person that had brought the same mower back and they refused him because it had gas in it. Obviously they are having problems with this particular mower and motor but would not address the problem. The manager Natasha at store 3232 in Princeton, IN ran like a scared rabbit instead of dealing with the customer. I will never buy another motorized piece of equipment from there again. They can't even make good their products. What a shame.

Original review: April 20, 2018

So much hassle, and intentionally make you forget about the rebates. I did not got rebate amount since last 3 times - unfortunately not worth time to fight for $10-$15 rebate to find the receipt stub and prove that I sent the receipt. Not buying anymore - even if it's $1 after $100 mail in rebate.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Criterion® 9.6 cu ft Commercial Chest Freezer - We purchased our chest freezer from Menards in Sept 2017, less than 6 months later the freezer quit working. The food inside obviously thawed to the point where the fresh meat we had recently purchased bled all over the freezer and outside of the freezer as well. We exchanged the freezer - no problem. Menards told us to contact their claims service regarding our loss of food since the freezer was less than a year old and under warranty. I filled out the necessary forms and provided pictures of the blood leaking out of the freezer.

Three weeks later after filing my claim I was contacted by a rude claims adjuster named Jerry who stood firmly that they would not cover our loss of product. I contacted Menards after my conversation with Jerry, and Menards basically threw up their hands and said "well if he says it's not covered there's nothing we can do." I will be returning the freezer. I would have taken a fraction of my estimated food loss cost just as a peace offering - but no compensation. Just because of their poor customer service, I would NEVER recommend Menards brand of appliances. Ever.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Placed an order April 9th. Looking at the order update today the 16th of April and it still says on order. Painfully slow order/shipping. This part is for a toilet that they sell and have in stock. The American Standard Vormax! It does not use a normal flapper assembly but a unique assembly that they don't carry for this toilet in their store! No flapper will work except the proprietary flapper from American Standard! Guess it is my fault for not checking if they sold parts for their toilets they sell! This is the Independence Missouri store! Amazon had them for a few dollars more. They would have been here already and installed!!!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I was searching for an item online on the 7th, I found that Menards had a fair price and they had a delivery date of the tenth with free shipping. I ordered the item, as soon as I did the dated changed and now said it would ship on the tenth. I opened another window and verified that it stated that it would be delivered by the tenth, and it did. I sent them an email to say that it was not right to advertise a delivery date right up until they get my credit card info, and then change the date (bait & switch). I did not get a response until the ninth, even though they took the money from my account immediately, which just said, "we will be cancelling your order." I emailed back stating that I had not asked for it to be cancelled, and that I would like to talk to someone, they refused to talk. Later I received an email with a link to reorder. Horrible to bait & switch, and horrible service to refuse to talk to customers.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I need to start by saying I have never written a review; however, my experience was so shocking I am compelled to document the occurrence. I was at the Livonia, MI store on Middlebelt Road on April 9, 2018 looking for a Schlage single cylinder deadbolt combination and keyed entry. There was a sale sign indicating an amount of $34.98; however, because the various boxes were not in their proper spots, I had to verify which box had the proper SKU number to coincide with the price. It needs to be noted that there was only one sale sign in this area.

When I confirmed that I had the proper box with the SKU number matching $34.98, I proceeded to checkout. The cashier told me the price was $49. I asked her to check confidently explaining the time I took to ensure that I had selected the product matching the SKU for the sale. She had someone check and after waiting over 5 minutes, I was told that it was not $34.98. I went back to get the sale sign myself for the cashier and was SHOCKED TO SEE THAT THE SIGNAGE HAD BEEN CHANGED.

I asked to speak with a store manager, who at first said there was nothing he could do. When I told him he needed to at least look into it, he told me he had to go by what the signage says now. If I hadn't spent so much time verifying the SKU number on the sale sign with the item I wanted to purchase, I may have thought that I made a mistake. I had to remove the sale sign in order to read the SKU numbers on the signage. When I went back to check the price myself, the signage was so different that I thought I was in the wrong aisle. Aside from the sale sign for the item I wanted to purchase being gone, there were now two different sale signs. I WILL NEVER SHOP AT MENARDS AGAIN.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have emailed Menards 3 times about an order I placed online because store one had 1 in stock. I have not received a reply or status of order placed March 24, 2018. It has been over 2 weeks... I have since checked other stores in a 20 mile area of my home and Racine, WI., Antioch, IL., Gurnee, IL., Vernon Hills, IL. All have 7 to 23 of the item I ordered in stock. I wish to cancel order. (2 weeks is ridiculous for a normal stock item and no reply or update.)

Original review: April 3, 2018

Purchased a Generac GP8000 generator new and in the box for 1000$. Got it home, assembled it and when I started it the recoil blew up. I called the Menards store in Mount Pleasant Michigan, talked to store manager who said he would not exchange it, I would have to take it to a warranty center. This is not something I should have to put up with, this is a factory defect and they should have to deal with it. Avoid buying any power equipment from Menards.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Today my daughter and I went to store 3142 in Fort Wayne IN to purchase a new smoker for the upcoming holiday weekend. We found a smoker. After back and forth texts with my husband decided on the Bradley smoker displayed price of 379$. We took it up to get checked out only to find out it's priced at 700$. The store manager called the GM who said he would do 499$. But the displayed price was 379$. I have pictures. Nowhere was there a price for 700$ for any of the smokers. Now I do believe this falls under the bait and switch, which is illegal.

We left. It is not my fault that it was mispriced, I should have received the displayed price. I have been a cardholder of Menards since we moved down here from Michigan. I am highly disappointed in latest customer service. I hope to hear from someone by Friday when we will be going to Lowe's to purchase our smoker for the weekend.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I rented a truck earlier today, and the associate - Kerrin - from West Lafayette IN was so helpful!! The associate assisted me in using my iPhone to locate my auto insurance card from my email. She was so patient & made the experience a breeze. I just wanted to let someone know.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I made a large purchase from this company on a Saturday evening 3/10/18 and realized the following morning 3/11/18 that it was not what I wanted. I immediately attempted to find a phone number to call them to cancel my order - but there was no phone number!!! That was the first sign that I was dealing with a shady business. I then had to email their "customer service" dept. with my request to cancel my order. This request was made within 24 hours of original purchase. They proceeded to tell me that they could not cancel my order because it had already shipped. I could send the items back but I would have to pay the return shipping costs!

First of all, common sense would dictate that if you place an online order on a Saturday night, it has clearly not shipped by Sunday morning! Especially if part of the order was to be shipped via USPS (it's not even open on the weekend!). So they just flat out lie to their customers. I then contacted FedEx on Monday morning and instructed them not to ship the order. The order was refused and returned to Menards. The other portion of the order that was to ship USPS, I was unable to to stop delivery but I did refuse it once it arrived at my door on Friday evening.

All items were returned to Menards. I have not once been contacted about my refund. I got so frustrated about this whole ordeal that I contacted my bank and filed a dispute. Now Menards will have the bank and Visa to contend with. Oh... And I also reported them to the BBB. Be advised, these people are thieves - do not do business with them. I hope there will be consequences for this company. They need some serious help in the customer service dept. They are not willing to help the customer at all which is just a bad business model. Secondly, they should obviously not be lying to their clients about order status. If a customer wishes to cancel an order within 24 hours, this should be honored - no questions asked. Lastly, there should always be a physical telephone number to reach someone in person to handle issues. In this day and age, there is no excuse for this.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I am very dissatisfied with the customer service that I did not receive in this ordeal, I have went and purchased a cabinet/ vanity... I returned the damaged product to Menards, picked up the replacement and when I get back to my destination the replacement is more damage than the one that I just returned prior... I called and spoke with what was supposed to be the general manager name Nick **. He was not very helpful at all. He was quite nasty with me over the phone and kept over talking and would not let me speak. Never made my situation any better. All it done was cost me more money in the long run because of their mess up.

Up now I can understand going to a store and receiving a product that's damaged one time but not two times in a row and they choose to do nothing but yet they will deliver it to me the next day which does me hardly any good because I'm paying a contractor by the hour and my contractor Works Around the Clock... So I guess I have to eat 24 hours of contract work that I cannot afford because Menards wants to be unhelpful, rude and nasty. BTW they hung up the phone on me several times before I could even get my point across. 259.99 cents is no small amount to play with. Plus I had spent 3000 dollars at this store in Richmond Indiana for the last week. I'll be taking my business elsewhere...and I suggest that you folks do the same if you do not want to get burnt.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Checked out the toilets and wanted one that has the pressure assist flush, upon looking and seeing what is out there, I knew the American Standard would fit just fine. It's a good toilet, especially with the strong flush that the pressure assist gives. I went ahead and ordered it on the 21st on February. Waited a week, but nothing was showing that the toilet was ordered, funny that after was had been in there that the display now showed order placed and on its way. But this kept showing for another 5 days, then today the 10th of March, it showed the toilet as being placed on order as if it was just ordered. I went back to Menards and asked to see what was wrong, no one knew what was wrong, one person told me I wasn't giving it enough time, but how was it supposed to ship in one day since the following day is Sunday.

I started out at the front desk and then told to go to the plumbing desk, so had to wait there till someone became available, luckily someone saw me and was kind enough to help me, again I was told I had to go to another desk, again I waited. I became frustrated enough to where I decided to just cancel the whole order and go elsewhere. Yeah, the toilet was cheap at Menards, but what good is it when they cant get it when I'm told it will be there? The person at the return desk informed me there was a 25% charge for restock fee, for something they never even got. Makes me mad that I had to pay a 25% restock fee on something just to get my money back, cause they sure acted like they didn't want to bother helping me in finding out why my order got all messed up. I took the refund and bit the loss for the restock fee.

It does not take 3 weeks to get a toilet that can be ordered, why is it that I went to Home Depot, that the same toilet can be ordered and come in within 6 to 11 days. I asked them about any restock fee if it doesn't show, and nope, no restock fee for an item if it doesn't show up. they gladly cancel out an order and give all your money back. Guess what Menards, I'm done buying from you, my local Home Depot will be getting my business. I will make sure everyone I know knows about your practice of charging that ridiculous fee for an item you never even have. Upon returning home, I noticed that the return receipt does not match my original receipt, same SKU numbers and price, I got back what I would if it would have been the right receipt, but whoever ordered that toilet will now have their order all messed up. I didn't order an Eljer toilet, I ordered an American Standard toilet.

Why do you have the SKU for an American Standard and Eljer? Really makes me wonder about this place. You knew darn well that the toilet I ordered would not be in by Monday when it shows it was just put on order. Home Depot it is, they seemed so happy to make me happy and satisfy my needs, went out of their way to make sure the order was right. A bit more in price, but at least I know I can get the toilet I want in a decent amount of time. I waited just about 3 weeks, but they say I never gave it enough time, but why did the order show it was in delivery and then disappear? What about this ripoff 25% restock fee of items I cant even get and you don't have the item I spent my money on to get. It's like having to pay to get my own money back for something I was promised I would have by now.

Not one person could even find out where this item went, they didn't even want to take the time to find out cause they were too busy they claimed. It's ok, I went to Home Depot, I ordered one there, it will be in within 6 to 14 days, much sooner than Menards' promises. No restock fee at Home Depot if it shouldn't come for some reason like the one at Menards. Never again will I order from Menards, not with this crazy way of charging a 25% restock fee when they cant even get what you ordered. Home Depot doesn't charge that. Looks like there will be another unhappy Menards customer by the receipt they gave me back, it's for an Eljer toilet, same price as the American Standard I ordered, but at least I learned my lesson and got out of ordering from this place. Good luck to whoever ordered the Eljer toilet, I have your receipt.

Original review: March 3, 2018

We are remodeling our house. We have spend close to 10,000 by now at Menards. We rented a truck to pick up a tub surround from Menards but when we opened it; it was the wrong one. This is very heavy and I am unable to help my spouse move it and why should I have to. It was a special order. I asked for Menards to deliver free of charge my expected one and take the wrong one back. I was told no. They would let me borrow a truck; but first I had to pay the rental. What the heck. They made the mistake but don't have to make it right. I now have to wait and see if I get the order again. I have no way of getting it here. Not sure what will happen but I would shop anywhere but Menards. They don't have good customer service and they just lost our business.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Menards says 11% discounts. We went and spent over 2000.00 because of the 11% lie. Don't fall for it or depend on it. I flip homes and go without the thought of getting fake discount. I go to the best deals without the discounts. Menards will more than likely give a discount if you have a 50.00 dollars purchase. We still didn't get ours and it’s been over 90 days.

Menards Company Information