Menards

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased several hundred dollars of ceramic tiles from Menards and all the underlayment, grout, mud, nails,etc. Ceramic flooring cracked and grout popped out of cracks. Menards refuses to do anything about this and floor needs replaced. I spent a week doing this floor not to mention all the hauling of heavy boxes of tiles from store to home & all the work it is going to take to tear this all out and replace it. Floor looks like complete junk and it's not even a year old. Fence panels also I paid thousands of dollars for, plus concrete, screws, stain, etc.

Panels are cheaply made and crack. They used small nails that pop out making panels fall off. I spent an hour hand staining each panel by hand, and weeks upon weeks installing this fence and it looks like complete junk. I do not know where Menards gets their products but do not buy them as they are complete junk. I have wrote Better Business many times about these issues and Menards refuses to do anything about either one. I do have receipts, photos and witnesses.

11/26/16 went to Menards in Bridgeview, IL to purchase an LG Refrigerator. Delivery was set up for next day Saturday. When the delivery guys came they automatically came in with a measuring tape to measure. They realize the refrigerator will not fit through the door without removing the panel door jam. They wanted me to remove the doors from the refrigerator. They also wanted to leave the refrigerator in my living room. And then I can remove the doors and push it to the kitchen myself. After I did not agree to that my husband went ahead and took the Molding threshold down. At this point the delivery guys had left the house. I called the store back and asked if they would return and delivered since now we have the space for the fridge to come through the doorway. I was told the drivers had left the area and will not be coming back.

The next day I went to get my refund and I was told by Brittany the store manager that I would not be receiving my delivery charges back since they did come back and try to bring the refrigerator in. That was not the case. They did not come back. They wanted me to remove the doors. They were very very rude and lied about returning back. I was charged $49 for delivery when the item never left the truck. Never have I ever order anything without the driver of the delivery accommodating to make the item fit. Normally they would remove the legs take the doors off themselves whatever it takes to get the item to fit. This was a big inconvenience to me and I had to go the same day to purchase a refrigerator from Best Buy who offered to remove doors remove door hinges from the doorway whatever it takes to get the refrigerator in my home. I would never ever shop again at Menards.

#1 home store in my book. I have shopped at several Menards stores (IA, MI, WI, & MO). They all have great customer service. They are a DIY store. You need a door installed call a contractor. Menards can get you the door at a great price. I read several negative comments on this site and I can find flaws with all their complaints. The stores are filled with helpful knowledgeable people.

I had two skids 100 40lb bags of wood pellets delivered to my residence and the delivery driver failed to place the two skids of pellets per my wishes. When I placed the order at the customer service counter the individual inputting my order did not listen to where the placement was to be. I was specific as to where I wanted the pellets delivered. The order was written up and I was asked to sign the document which I did. And as with most people you just sign your name with the understanding that your delivery will be placed where you want it to be placed and fail to read the agreement.

It all started with the initial order at the service counter, read and fully understand what you are signing for and especially read it very carefully. After several calls to the delivery driver's supervisor and no solution to this I was put in contact with the GM of the store. The GM was not willing to make the problem go away and only referred to the delivery contract and would not budge to ensure I as a customer was satisfied. WHAT ever happened to customer service? When I have to PAY to have materials delivered I would hope the delivery driver would be courteous enough and not in a hurry to place the items per the customer's desires. When I asked the driver to place the skids he repeatedly refused. Yes, it was a cold blustery day in Ohio, however, that should not have been a concern.

There was another individual with the driver that stood by the truck and smoked and the GM was not even aware there was a second individual supposed to be in the truck. It would probably have helped to solve my problem if the GM and the driver hadn't been such close friends either as the GM informed me. I WILL NOT SHOP AT MENARDS AGAIN. I WILL TELL ALL THAT I CAN ABOUT THE SO CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT IS NOT PROVIDED BY MENARDS. I have spent many thousands of dollars at this store in Tipp City, Ohio and WILL not give them any more of my hard earned dollars. It makes me wonder if all of Menards GM's are like this??? When a GM gets mad at a customer (as this one did me) and would rather cover his buddies behind than ensure the customer is satisfied it is definitely time to start shopping at another store.

I was never keen on all of Menards rebates and how they worked where they provided you only an "in-store credit card" either. One of the first things that pissed me off about Menards is that they DO NOT provide a discount to military individuals with me being a retired United States Air Force member and Vietnam era veteran. I spoke with a GM about not having a discount for military several years ago and was informed that Menards' prices were discounted enough and they could not provide a discount. So, after all is said and done you can be ensured I will tell everyone I can about this experience and how the GM at the Tipp City, Ohio store is more concerned about his "buddies" than the customer and I really do believe that he DOES NOT believe in customer service.

One star is far too good of a review for this company, if I could give a negative rating I would. I purchased a GE washing machine from my local store as well as the extended five year warranty plan. After two years my washer quit working and after contacting the company to schedule a repair I was told they would not be able to service my machine for three weeks. I don't consider that an appropriate wait time and after stating as much was told that my other option was to go through a local repairman and be reimbursed for my payment for his services. I was assured I would be reimbursed NO MATTER WHAT, so I proceeded. The washer was deemed to not be fixable by the warranty company and I was told I'd be paid cash out for the price of the washer. I followed all necessary protocol to receive my cash out and reimbursement check.

After three weeks went by I called to check on the status of my claim and was told it would take thirty days to process. I waited another month before I called back and after much runaround it was concluded the price of the washer would be sent to me but they still had another three days before they were required to process the reimbursement. All said and done I called the company several times and was always given an excuse as to why I hadn't received my reimbursement. I called again today - 3 MONTHS LATER!! I talked to one guy that had no clue and instantly transferred me.

The second guy was the rudest "customer service" rep I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. He repeatedly interrupted me, told me I should never have paid the repairman (I didn't know they worked pro-bono!) and therefore would not be reimbursed. Every time I asked him to let me explain what had taken place so far he said, "Oh if there is going to be a story I'm all ears!" I asked to speak to his supervisor (he huffed and puffed) and eventually I told him we clearly could not communicate about this to which he agreed and transferred me. The third guy that I talked to today was actually helpful and hopefully I will be receiving a check in the mail - though VERY DELINQUENTLY.

I made one more phone call to this company today. I called to complain about the rude customer service and was told they were sorry on his behalf. A written apology would seem to be in order. The corporate office would do well to spend some time and money to train their employees to be useful and courteous. This company does a poor job of customer service and standing behind their promises. And after reading the other reviews, I can't help but wonder if this company even cares about their consumer satisfaction! Whatever happened to integrity in business? RUN FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Menards?

I've spend nearly $40K over the past 8 years at Menards doing remodeling work around my parents home. I personally have had nothing but positive experiences with my local Menards. I am a true do-it-yourselfer, however. All of these big box stores have their pros and cons, but if I'm going to use one of them outside of my local lumberyard, I try to shop Menards because they still try to offer a good amount of American-made products. Having personally worked for Home Depot at one of their flagship stores in Atlanta, I can tell you much of what they sell is coming from China.

I ordered a vanity. It took a week to get and when I drove back to the store and I asked receiving to open the box it was damaged. Sure enough the vanity was busted up, and the receiving clerk ask me if I still wanted it. I replied "Are you kidding", so they reordered it again for me. My other concern is I drove thirty miles to pick it up and now have to drive another thirty miles to hopefully pick it up again. This is not fair to the consumer. Not offer a reduction in price or at least offer to have delivered for free. I'M also a senior citizen.

On 11/2/16 I made a purchase and paid by check. Went to return one of the products. They told me no refund until my check clears. Few days later bank told me the store received their money. 11/9/16 The girl at the return desk told me she couldn't give me cash back even though they received their money. Had to wait a few more days. Called the manager. She told me I have to wait longer because weekends don't count and election day is a holiday so no money back until 11/17/16. All this for $21.00. I only have 30 days until no cash back just store credit. I don't want store credit. Their store was open so why is election day a holiday. Even credit unions were open. I will never shop there again. You can't get a straight truth the first time around. OTHER hardware stores have better return policies. TREATING customers bad will come back to haunt them. Customers have the buying power.

Lifetime coleman sump pump - The pump has a lifetime warranty. Menards will not honor. I'm done shopping at retards. I hope you can afford to lose the thousands of dollars you won't be getting from me. I'm a Lowe's customer now. I should throw that pump through their front window.

All I can say is I am so glad that I live in an area that has many other options besides Menards. June 2016 I purchased an MTD Weed Eater from Menards. The weed eater had a design flaw with the head where the string comes out. There was not a cover to that portion of the shaft so when you cut longer weeds they would wind around the shaft and stop the head, you would then spend 10 minutes cleaning it so it would work again. I used the weed eater for a total of 15 minutes and then put it back in the box to take it back.

When I took it back the desk lady said they could not take it because it had gas in it and that I would have to take it to a service center, wherever that is. I tried to explain to the lady that it had a design flaw not a mechanical flaw and she did not care. I asked to speak with a manager and when he came to talk to me he was very angry like I interrupted his day. As I was trying to explain the situation he continued interrupting me telling me that I have to take it to a service center. After about the 5th interruption I stopped him and asked why he was being so rude and so mad. After about 2 more minutes of arguing with him I simply said I will not shop at their store again, so a $100 weed eater cost them a family of customers. If they sell gas operated products they should have an employee that can diagnose problems so the burden is not put onto the customer to run it to another store.

I was bargain hunting in the early morning. I heard they had stuff on sale like detergent, the Doritos chips, etc. I seen a young lady and asked her if she could help me out. She was very rude.

I was trying to place a menards.com order for a $600 item. The page kept looping back to the previous page. I looked for a phone number to help me. THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBER THAT EXISTS OUTSIDE THE LOCAL STORES! I called corporate and she said there is NO help for menards.com unless you send an email of the problem. I was completely floored by this. This is a product I needed fairly quickly and I had to go to work. She was VERY quick to tell me that if I had a problem to call my local store. I asked her why would I call the local store when this issue had NOTHING to do with them. She said that was all she could do and hung up.

I called the local store and told the manager that I was very sorry they work for a company where their corporate office is so quick to throw the store under the bus and not take care of any issues. The manager told me there were several customers that called that day that couldn't complete an online order because there was something going on with the website. Why wouldn't corporate just tell me that? Retail managers work hard and have enough on their plates. They don't need to be getting yelled at by customers for stuff that has NOTHING to do with them on a store level. BIG, FAT FAIL MENARDS.COM AND CORPORATE OFFICES.

Menards rebates checks are not paid even after their promised 6 weeks after the submission. Had to contact their rebate processing company only after 6 weeks of submission, which then takes another 2 to 3 weeks to collect all details again and process time. Most of the customers wouldn't remember to follow up after rebate details posted, which is a huge profit for Menards and their rebate processing company by not sending the rebate check. Menards rebates is a shady business and a scam.

I went in to the Omaha Menards to buy a metal shed and was told I needed a foundation kit. It had to be special ordered by an employee. Turns out they ordered a vinyl kit, not metal. The job ended up costing me $150 more as my contractor had to build a wooden base as Menards told me it would take 2 weeks for a correct replacement. I filed a claim, and was told it was my fault they ordered the wrong item because as the purchaser it is up to me to provide correct information. Arlene ** is the Guest Services manager, and it appears that her primary job is to fob off anybody with a justifiable complaint.

It has been 3 weeks now since I picked out a door. I have been uninformed of what's going on in order to get the door installed. It has been totally up to me to email them because phone calls are too much of a hassle for them. I was given 3 contractors names and numbers, only one showed up. I haven't heard from anyone to date. I called to inform the manager of my problem, he stated that it's not Menards job to keep me informed. Awful treatment for someone who was about to spend $2,000 with them. After reading their reviews, I have decided to ignore their stores from now on.

We remodel our kitchen, which included a new sink, two basin. The sink is popping out and has a hole in it after two years. It has the dishwasher, and garbage disposal on it and is very heavy and would have to take off everything that is on it and put it on the new one. I asked if they would pay for the labor to take the sink out and replace with a new sink. That is around 300 hundred dollars. They said no. Menards makes their own sink, it is their product. Sinks should last 20 years before the porcelain starts popping off. I looked at the inside of the sink and it looks like it was redone in the factory and sold for new on their shelves. I would not buy anything anymore at Menards. I spent 14 grand on countertops and island and new cabinetry, sink, dishwasher, microwave, range and now left with a crappy sink. I will never buy from them again. Buyer beware of the crap they sell.

It should be negative star. Apology BY THE MANAGER NOT ACCEPT. You think that I would ever shop at Menards, Marshall, MN again? HELL NO! After being treated like a criminal and followed everywhere for wanting to go out the other door. I EVEN ASKED THE CASHIER. They made it sound like I stole gold, announcing to the manager to check the camera. Manager did NOT do his job. I walked all the way back to find my receipt AT THE CHECKOUT and him not doing his job AND JUST TALKING TO A CO-WORKER when my receipt was there. HE COULD HAVE FOUND IT. Told him I wanted a refund for wasting my time. I told him refund again and again.

Apparently, he does not understand English. The other person that ACCUSE ME she did not understand the word REFUND TOO WHEN I WALKED ALL THE BACK THERE WASTING MY TIME. Yes, I understand the old lady was doing her job by accusing me of a stealing and now she did not want to refund. Word of advise, teach your workers the word "REFUND". THEY TOOK MY RECEIPT AND DID NOT GIVE IT TO ME. Everyone that shop there should be careful. They treat their customers as criminals. THEIR INTENTION IS NOT TO ASK TO HELP YOU BUT THEY ARE TRYING TO ACCUSE YOU AS A CRIMINAL. I made them REFUND the cleaning items and the store was so bad it had to give me coins instead of dollar bills. I paid with dollar bills. WASTE OF MY TIME. Disrespectful store ever!

Ordered a battery from Menards online. They represented the product as being in stock. I check shipping status to find out it will take approximately 3 weeks to get the item! Turns out they never had it in stock, had to order from a vendor, and are stalling me on my refund. If this happens to you, contact your card issuer immediately to report them. ZERO help from online/email "support" staff.

2/3's the cost of one of the doors. I am happy to pay a restocking fee, but 25% is a bit steep. I do not agree with their business practices regarding this return as they are able to resell these standard sized doors without any problem. They certainly will not lose any money. Yet they want to not only make a profit on the door sale originally but then make money off their mistake (which they will not take credit for.). I am very dissatisfied and will not do business with Menards again!!!

Did not receive merchandise credit for purchase of countertop. I was to receive a rebate of $5 a foot for countertop in form of rebate. I sent receipt and rebate form to their processor Rebate International. I never received promised rebate. I contacted Menards and they act like not their problem. Processor has not contact by phone only thru mail and email. They have completely ignored any attempts to provide substantiation which I have mailed to them on four separate occasion. Buyer beware.

I recently had an issue with some windows I tried to order. I found out a week after I ordered them that they were on backorder. When I called the store to find out if another store had them in stock I was told the nearest store that had them was 35 miles away and they would hold them for me to come pick up. When I got there I found out they only had 5 and not the 6 I had ordered. So I had to go back to my home store to get the 6th window.

When I spoke to the manager about the issue and the fact that I had to go myself because they don't do inter-company transfers, I was given excuses and told he would have a talk to the employee who messed it up. When I asked about my lost time, gas and the fact that I had to find all this out myself, I was basically told, "Sorry about your luck but you have your windows and there is nothing else I can do for you." I have been working in retail for over 40 years and have never given a customer that kind of blow off. I would have at least offered a gift card, discount on future purchase or something to appease the customer and I got nothing of the kind. I will never shop at Menards again.

When you have a problem with most companies this size, you can find a way to get satisfaction. I bought a backyard grill gazebo a few months back. Really nice! Great price! Well as soon as I put the unit out in my backyard, the vinyl top started to fade. Though their warranty clearly states Manufacturer Defects and Fade Resistance and unwarrantable issues, FORGET ABOUT IT! If you can't get someone to help you find out where to call and who to talk to, you actually have no warranty. The surly crowd at any Menards store won't help. The people they tell you to call in Canada won't help. The management won't help. Part number 2721523. PASS!!! Menards is really great on pricing, and usually have most things I need in stock. But if it isn't sitting on the shelf, DON'T BUY IT! If it is there, it may not be there long. If you need help, go Home Depot or Lowes. At least they make an effort and will help. NOT MENARDS!!!

Bought several items from Menard's recently. At the time they were offering an 11% rebate. I hate rebates to begin with--stupid forms and paperwork and having to mail stuff in. Just give me 11% off at the register please. Anyway, I fill out all my forms, attach the appropriate receipts, then I mail everything in and sit back and wait for a $50 check to arrive. Great, except that I don't get a check. Instead they send me a "Merchandise Credit Check", good for $50 on my next purchase at Menard's. Huh? What kind of BS is this? Do they really think that this is good business practice to piss off their customers with this sort of deceptive crapola?? I'm outraged and do not plan to shop there again if I can ever help it.

Additionally, I bought a vertical tool cabinet from them. It came with 4 shelves although there was plenty of room for 5 so I asked someone in the store if I could order a new shelf. After dinking around on a computer for a few minutes, the employee told me there was no way to get an extra shelf. Annoyed, I went home and after searching the web for like 2 minutes I found contact information and wrote to them inquiring about ordering a new shelf. They wrote back to me within 24 hours with detailed info about how to special order the item. Why was the employee at Menard's incapable of doing this?

I know this is not an unusual scenario, but it really is aggravating for a customer ready to actually spend money. My wife and I were given the task of purchasing blinds for some windows at our church. So, we thought first of going to Menards. Got to the store, went to the department, no one there. We waited, looked at different options, and actually found the book with all the available options. But, sadly no one ever came to help. We were probably there 15 to 20 minutes.

So, we decided to head over to Home Depot. We actually go waited on quickly, were shown some options, but their books were all out on loan. So, the HD employee called another store to make sure they had a book, gave us the name of a person to talk to, and away we went. Got to the other store, very helpful employee. Worked through all the measurements, got the order placed, we paid our $630, and walked away happy. Guess Menards probably didn't need a little sale like that.

I am building a motor home and decided, despite terrible reviews, to purchase from Menards. I am glad I allowed them the business. On top of the great savings, my damaged order was resolved painlessly. They requested pictures which I sent and immediately took action. My damaged siding was shipped in a timely manner and the employee kept constant communication with me through the process. I've noticed most bad reviews are a matter of the customer not understanding the restock fee on returns. 25% restock fee is normal and fair in my opinion. If you measure your job and are actually prepared, Menards is a great place to save some money. Like all customer service representatives, if you aren't unreasonable they will take care of you. I will definitely continue to save money at Menards in the future.

We have a camper and have been looking at the purchase of a generator. We have a very small Honda. It's super quiet, but to run our camper we need something with more horsepower. Honda is very expensive so at Menards one day we saw Briggs & Stratton "Super Quiet". Did the math and said if we got 2 and paralleled them that would work. Bought them (2 -3000) got them home and fired one up worked beautiful and it is very quiet. Now they tell us we can't get a parallel kit something to do with the manufacturer or distributor??? So I asked to return the generators because 1 won't handle the load. The lady said "No you can't bring it back here. You'll have to take it to a dealer to get your problem resolved." It took me 5 min. of explaining to get her to understand the generator ran fine, but if I could get the kit 1 wasn't going to do the job. We tried it and it kept blowing the breaker.

She gave me the Manager and he said "If you put gas in them we will not take them back. No way no how." He said it was hazardous. The store policy would allow it once it had gas in it. Honda will fill it with gas before you buy it and let you try it out!!! Now we are out $2500.00 and can't use our product. Along with that our son last fall was building a hunting shack he bought some windows from Menards. When he got them home he realized he needed some with larger openings. He had taken them back to exchange them and they would not accept the price he paid made him take the sale price. This was with a 2 HOUR period. Because he forgot to grab the receipt at the end of the counter. My husband was with him and our son even told them which register he checked out on. They could have look it up on the computer and looked it up on the camera. Menards is a complete RIP OFF!!! DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING AT MENARDS.

Since Menards sells many items that they don't keep in stock, one is compelled to special order them. This alone is absurd when you consider that they keep in stock 4 cans of floor finish for Western South Dakota. ONE PERSON putting the recommended 5 cans of finish on an average kitchen would need more than that. I've special ordered items from the Gillette, WY and Rapid City, SD Menards on five occasions. Each time, my order was not delivered to me in a timely manner despite my having received emails indicating that the item was in stock.

Order one I go to the store to pick up my 20 cans of varnish. They can't find them all. Some must have been put 'on the floor' and sold, I am told. So I pick up my partial order and come back in three weeks for the rest. Order two. I placed an order on Menards Rapid City website, paid with a Rapid City debit card and gave them my Rapid City address. For some reason, they ship it to Gillette, Wyoming. I email (which is all they offer - no phone calls or phone number to call) requesting that they change the delivery address to reflect what is stated on my order. The Technician says she will try to cancel the order, but no guarantees. Then I will have to re-order the items. I don't want to re-order. I need this item NOW.

The other three are similar situations. I enjoy shopping in Menards. Special orders: You might as well forget it because you'll probably be waiting 45 minutes for them to locate the items and bring them out to you for loading. If you order 20 cans of anything, you haven't a chance of getting them all when you get to the store to pick them up.

I'm beyond disappointed with Menards. We are a young married couple remodelling a house. We've probably lost $200-250 with Menards. From wrong cabinets to extra trips because they "couldn't find" what we needed because they were too busy (showed in stock). We ask for 60 sq ft of carpet pad, we end up with 87 because "He's been there since 5 am, is tired and "couldn't" get us that amount". (Then the cashier said he could have got the right amount.) The department manager tells us "oh I don't think your hardware is included with the countertop, you should just grab it while you're here." (Get home, there's the main pack plus an extra, plus now the one we bought.) They just don't care.

Their employees are not trained properly at all and are not friendly. Both Menards are about an hour away from us, so when they tell us we can "just come back" they don't realize the gas money we spend. They don't have any good sales anymore, just the 11 rebate. I will say the guys in the IA City lumberyard were very friendly and helpful. They need raises because they were the only positive out of our 15-20 trips to Menards for our house. My parents have had the same type problems with them. Save yourself money and headache and go to your local small town store or another chain.

I ordered an item online from Menards.com. It came directly to my house from the manufacturer (Braun). When I opened the box, the part number and description were correct, the item in the box was not. Someone at Braun put the wrong item in the box (OK it happens). After countless "searches" for "Menards Customer Service" to get help, it became obviously apparent that there is no such thing. The only item close is a number for Menards Customer service for their CREDIT CARD. When I called it and explained I needed "Menards Customer Service", even the rep. for the credit card company said "Yes, there really isn't one and their website is not helpful". What company in this century doesn't have an "800" number for customer service?

I will return this item at the store (inconvenient for me, the paying customer), and go back to Home Depot for all goods. Home Depot even has an 800 number: just type "Home Depot 800 number" into a search - there it is. Simple. Why can't Menards do that? Also, but unrelated Menards' "sales rebates" where you get a rebate for buying an item... what a joke. It's a store credit. I would rather have it be on sale for less money, or send me REAL MONEY (not a store credit to buy more items that will be sent wrong and need to be returned again). Get with it Menards. Home Depot is my place.

On 2/25/2015, I purchased an electric Black & Decker lawn mower, Model CM1640 (Walk behind 40V 16" LI-ION Mower) and a replacement plan, #**, which covers SKU 2701256 through 2/25/18. Last summer, 2015, the handle broke on the mower. I took the mower to the Menards Service Center (Small Engine Specialty) 2373 Washington Rd., Sunnyland, IL 61571-1900, telephone number 309-754-5421. Black & Decker refused to honor my warranty. Without thinking, I paid the $45 charge. In June 2016, the handle on the mower broke again. I took the mower back into the Menards Service Center on 6/6/2016. After 6 weeks, both Black & Decker and Menards refused to honor my warranty. It was determined that I had a replacement warranty and I was instructed to take the mower into Menards with the understanding that they would replace the mower. However, Menard's no longer carries this model mower.

I was informed that the only option I had was to pay an additional $50 and Menards would replace the mower with an electric mower by a different manufacturer. The store manager was not in. Assistant manager, Adam, informed me that was all they would do. If I did not pay the additional money, they could not help me. I left with the broken mower. I feel this is unjust as Menards is not honoring the warranty contract I purchased with the mower. I feel that they should either repair or replace the mower.

Menards Company Profile