2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.2/5 (248 ratings)

About Menards

Menards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Menards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Menards?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

Total incompetence. Ordered a vanity and card was charged. Told take 2 weeks. Then 2 days was added. Then a week was added. Then was told that was a tentative date. Was lied to just to make a sale then was told I could get it sooner if I'd pay 100$ and have it shipped from another store. Was going buy a showerhead for 100$. 89$ with rebate. Went to Home Depot and it was 85 regular price. Don't see how they stay in business the way they treat their customers.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

We recently attempted to purchase a Maytag dishwasher using Menards' online site. We were initially led to believe that the item would be delivered and installed about a month after purchase. While we considered this a long wait, we were willing to do so because we were planning to be gone from the home for a good portion of that time anyway. After returning to the residence and checking in with Menards a month and a half later on the as yet undelivered merchandise, we were told it would be another two months before they could deliver because they were waiting on component parts from China to actually manufacture the dishwasher. We attempted to cancel at that time and have been in limbo ever since awaiting our refund. I would recommend never using Menards online for any purchases, a very low-rent operation.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

We ordered a pole barn. The wood in the pallet was to be used for purlins, over half the boards were damaged. I ordered a roll up door to save on head room and 2 months later have still not received the door. They keep moving the ship date back. Had I have known this to begin with I could have had one locally in 3 weeks. Absolutely horrible customer service and I will never use them for anything again.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

I have been shopping at Menards for years for projects I've done around our home and cabin. Often there are rebates on the products purchased. These are usually for small amounts like $20.00 to $40.00. However, I recently made a larger purchase for our cabin and was to get a $246.00 rebate. I have not received this rebate. Now mysteriously they aren't getting back to me. I will never shop at Menards again. Their rebate system is a complete joke. If I could give them no stars I would!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Visited Menards in New Philadelphia, & because my face mask wasn't covering my nose I was harassed by several employees. They even followed me in the restroom, unbelievable! Company policy or not, being harassed like that is unacceptable. It was so bad that I left the store & my merchandise (160.00). Menards lost that money over harassment. I will take my business to Lowe's. After getting to my car outside. I was then harassed by another employee while trying to get in my car. And I will mention she did not have a face covering on. Get a grip Menards. You are running business away.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I received a Kawasaki power washer for father's day, back in 2019. Used it once in 2019 and it worked well. Then in 2020, went to use it again, and the metal pipe in the wand had cracked. Took me almost two months to find a replacement wand, even Menards didn't sell the correct size. I had to be put in contact with a rep from All Trade Tools, the supplier for Menards, for the correct size products, which cost me an additional $40. He admitted to me that for a couple dollars more, Menards could have had these power washers made with better piping, that wouldn't crack in the winter months, but some account nixed the added cost. When I got the new wand from All Trade, and put it on, then a pipe in the motor unit broke, spewing water everywhere. I felt bad for my kids. Menards sells cheap power tools, and I would not recommend to anyone to buy these type of items.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

Basically, the same as e few other disabled vets who were treated terribly by Menards for not being able to were a mask. My problem happened at the Green Bay store when I was confronted by a female employee and told I needed to wear a mask. I informed her that for medical reasons I could not and was told to leave. Rather rudely, I might add. I asked to see the manager and was told by her that SHE was the manager. On my way out, I asked another employee who the manager was, and was directed to a completely different person who confirmed that the female was NOT actually the manager, that HE was. Once again I explained my issue to him and was told to leave, again, rather rudely. I even tried to show my documentation for my disability, but was told that it's private property and I had to leave.

This is actually my second time having a problem at that store. A few years ago I was injured by a piece of steel in their yard. It took over an hour before anyone found any kind of first aid kit, and then it was only a band aid. I ended up wrapping my sock around my leg to stop the bleeding and drove myself to the hospital. But first they wanted me to sign some paperwork. Then, their lawyer gave me a bunch of grief about the bill. Menards is certainly NOT disabled friendly and will never get another dime from me.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

My name is Luke W, and today I visited the Menards location at 1301 Sand Lake Road, Onalaska, WI 54650. I served my country in the United States Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007. I have been in treatment within the Veterans Affairs system for various psychological health conditions. I have significant issues with restricting airflow or obstructing my ability to breathe. My health is something I do not feel I should have to share because of my rights to privacy. But because of how I was treated at Menards today, I am compelled to explain my conditions.

As I was shopping, I was approached and told I had to wear a mask. When I explained I had various health conditions, the employee responded that Menards had no exceptions to their mask policy, and I had to wear a mask. I continued to refuse and explained my conditions yet again. I was told I didn't have any health conditions, which, as you are probably aware, is discriminatory and offensive to anyone who suffers every day with mental and physical difficulties brought about from service to this nation. This disgusting treatment by the Menards staff was my tipping point and the reason for this letter. I was accosted three additional times by various employees whom all parroted the same discriminator language as the first. I am offended and appalled by Menards' practices and plan to tell anyone who listens to how I was treated. I will never again spend money at Menards.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Menards does not enforce employees wearing masks correctly. I was just at the Menards at 2700 LAKE COOK RD, LONG GROVE 60047 and I noticed a good percentage of their employees were only wearing their masks over their mouths. This is the same as not wearing a mask at all. So, you need to take extra precaution and stay clear of these people or do not go to this Menards. When people only wear masks over their mouths, they are breathing through their nose. This is how people breathe normally. One of these people was operating one of the registers where people check out. We happened to be in this line and did not notice this until we got up to this person. I immediately asked the person to put the mask over their nose. They would not comply with this request.

I asked several times. Then I finally told them I would go speak to the manager of the store. I did this and pointed out the person that was not wearing their mask correctly. The manager seemed oblivious. I then told him that a good percentage of their employees were not complying with wearing their masks correctly. It was like talking to a wall. I did let him know that I would be putting this incident online. Again he seemed oblivious. My advice to people is, if you want to stay safe then you should avoid this Menards.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Just witnessed the store kick out a disabled veteran with one lung for not wearing a mask. He tried to show them his disability papers but they treated him like horribly. I tried to take up for him and was told to leave too. I told the manager That man lost his lung fighting for our freedom and she clearly said she didn’t care what he did. This store is definitely anti veterans and anti American.

Original review: July 24, 2020

Wow, what an experience I've had shopping online at Menards. This is my 1st time going through their website and getting goods delivered to my residence, via UPS. That there should have been my first red flag. UPS says that it delivered my package on Tuesday, July 21st at 3:04PM. Well guess what, I was at home sitting & anticipating the delivery of said package all day. No one, with the exception of the mailman, had rang my bell, or knocked on my front door. I also hadn't received a notification informing me that the delivery had been made, as I usually have with all other previous online deliveries.

I've made several attempts now to contact Menards through their online email & have not heard back. I've submitted a missing package claim on the UPS website as advised by their upper management team. I've reached on Menards Facebook Messenger page, still ignored. There's no 800# that a customer can reach them on. I've run out of ideas in how I can someone to look into this matter. I will never ship Menards again. I don't need the headache. Guess it's back to Amazon I go.

Original review: July 18, 2020

This store has a complete selection of things needed for every job. Customer service is the best hands down. The best part is if you lose your receipt you can put your card in and print a new one. This is so convenient that it’s the first on my list.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Relatively new to our area, this place is amazing. Great deals, selection and rebates! Excellent source for hard-to-find woods, like maple & ash. If they were closer, we wouldn't shop anywhere else! Their tool and paint areas are especially noteworthy. They are also requiring masks, which I believe to be appropriate (other home improvement stores do not).

Original review: July 3, 2020

I shop frequently at Menards because they often have sale items I want in addition to rebates on certain items as well as your overall purchase. They also carry grocery items that I cannot find anywhere else. When doing repairs and simple home fixes I don’t hesitate to shop Menards. If I have a question about an item or what I should use someone is there with knowledge.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Purchased item on 06/14/2020 paid for two day delivery for 6/17/2020. It showed up on my porch on 06/18/2020. It was in 1000 pieces and glass coming out of box. It was not packaged for shipping, label just placed on box with no additional padding for shipping for glass. The box was tapped up from UPS and placed on porch. I have emailed the customer service everyday since 06/18/2020 to let them know it was damaged and still as of today(6/25/2020) no return email since that is the only way to get in touch with them. They have not responded to any emails from me. I was full refund including shipping since it as paid to be delivered a day earlier and then damaged beyond repair. Will suggest look at reviews first. Their Customer Service is awful!

Original review: June 19, 2020

Order a Plymouth Foam Garage Door Insulation Kit. This kit comes with 8 panels for my garage door. When it was delivered, 5 of the 8 panels were damaged. T delivery department did not even put my product in a box. The foam insulation kit was exposed and shipped that way. Of no surprise that it was damaged during delivery.

I contacted customer service and they initially responded to me asking that I send them photos of the damaged items. I reply, and sent them the pictures. I follow-up with an email the next day asking if they received my email, waiting another day. I didn't hear anything so I went online to find a human number 715-876-5911 and left a voicemail. Someone finally emailed me back but instead of telling me how they were going to fix it, they asked another question and that how many panels were damaged. I responded with 5 of 8 and it's been 3 days and I have yet to hear back from them. I have tried to follow up with them since then, but they are ignoring me. My next step is to contact my credit card.

Original review: June 16, 2020

Naperville Menards at 715 Fort Hill Drive Naperville, IL. I went into the garden center for two ferns and three flower arrangements and I was denied my sale because my mask was beneath my mouth. I was maintaining 6 feet from everyone, talked to no one and avoided people like the plague because I can’t breathe with the mask on especially in the heat. I understand there is policy, however it is not a law to wear a mask and I was nowhere near anyone or endangering anyone’s life.

The girl at the outdoor register had already rung my order up and all I had to do is hand over the money and she had another employee ask management if they refuse sales to anyone not wearing a mask. She rung me up and then said, "Sorry, no sale." The other employee made it a point to be really loud on the phone so I could hear him, too. I don’t appreciate that intimidation.

To date, we have spent almost $15,000.00 this year on our contractor card alone and to be treated like this over a non law when I was not near one person is uncalled for. Perhaps it’s because I’m Mexican?? We have spent almost $50,000 on behalf of our business in the last 3 years at Menards and I feel that this was a non issue when my items were rung up and almost paid for.

I am leaving a review online for Google, Yelp, my Facebook page and any other review outlets to let everyone know that after I called and spoke to the manager Brian ** and not getting a satisfactory resolution, that they might want to consider Home Depot or Lowe’s like we have been considering. Thank the Illinois governor for that! We already spent almost $4,000 at Home Depot this year so far. Singling out one customer over a temporary policy is beyond ridiculous and I am not the only one who won’t be shopping at Menards after this.

Original review: June 15, 2020

I up until today went to Menards in Belleville MI 1 a week and today was the worst I've ever been cheated and lied about at any store ever, today is 6-14-20, we arrived at menards about 5:35 pm walking in to the garden center we (my self and fiancé) wanted a bird bath for the yard, after we loaded up the bird bath I Rachel ** seen some lawn stones/decorations, seen the army one (I am a army veteran) and wanted it, figured meant to be since I was actually interested on the U.S. Army's birthday.

It was on top shelf so my boyfriend moved it but I just decided to go get help or even ask if they had more because of a chip at bottom so I went and found an employee Kaylee who was just restocking the shelves (please check camera on her activity because this come in to play later in experience) so I ask her about the stones. Show her the picture I took because the one I wanted was oval shaped compared to the others and wanted to confirm why.

We were talking and walking. We get to the end cap and she sees the sign/price listed as $12.99 but she doesn't say that it was wrong immediately until she whips out her little price check scanner tool and tells me it's $29.99 and immediately removes the price tag sign as she is doing she blames it out the people who put the display up didn't remove, so I ask, "Since it's miss marked do I get it for that price stated?" "I don't make them calls," (but did not offer to say, "Hold on, let me check with the manager and see what we can work out"..There was a chip). No. After she states she don't make those calls she walks away, goes back to same area she was working and she left me just standing there unresolved issues, so I tell fiancé I will be right back.

Guess I have to check with manager, I walk to customer service check out and explain the situation and showed the picture. They stated it would have been different if I just loaded and paid for it then I would have got it for $12.99 because was mistaken and then she states, "I will call the manager." Ask the car were was Brittany. She stated she was helping at returns, so coincidently Brittany walks up moments after and I go through my issue then she rebuts stating that Kaylee was working on display and got called off to sweep up a mess per Kaylee.

(I'm assuming Kaylee called but couldn't call a manager to ask a question for me but could call in give her story before I had even arrive up front to find manager). I said, "No actually Kaylee was not. When I found her she was stocking/straightening items," here is the amazing part, the manager Brittany stated right to my face, "I actually looked at the cameras and she was sweeping," which unless camera viewing is hand held there was no physical way Brittany could have reviewed the cameras because all this transpired in 3-5min. But Brittany stated she would not honor the price, in last six weeks have spent $1000 bucks in the belleville mi store.

Please research our purchases and the cameras so you can find that I wasn't lying and that you have employees apparently not doing what they're supposed to and the killer thing is that the encap was fully stocked so there would have been no reason for an employee to return, they just failed to pay attention to detail and not remove the bad price tag..

Original review: May 28, 2020

I was charged for an Item that according to them my bank denied the purchase but when I got to my bank statement it shows the purchase with the amount and date, but even with pictures they said they can’t do anything. I will try to purchase anything through their website.

Original review: May 26, 2020

Avoid their online store. I placed an order and ELEVEN days later received an email saying "there was an error" and my order was cancelled. No apology, no workaround, no offer to make good on it. Complete waste of time. There's no excuse for that in this day and age. I'll never use them again.

Original review: May 23, 2020

Ordered a vanity and it arrived damaged. I contacted Menards.. nothing for days. No replacement offered. Then they offered for me to return but charged me 75 bucks.. for a damaged item. I just want an undamaged vanity! Now I have to take to Fed Ex which isn’t even close by and it weighs probably 75 lbs. I asked about an exchange. They told me it’s better to return and buy again. So I can get another damaged vanity, get charged for it, and waste even more time. Completely dissatisfied with Menards.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I ordered a grill and they sent me the wrong grill. Now no one at the store can help me because you have to call and go through customer service. I have called numerous times and get no answer and no return calls. Went back to the store and they said they cant do anything for me. If you are thinking about using @Menards save your money and go somewhere that appreciates your business.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Few days ago, I visited Menards store in Ann Arbor, Michigan. They do have a variety of products. After finishing shopping we went to the cashier to check out. My wife picked a toy from the middle that had a pile of them With a sign $ 4.99, the cashier called som. I was thirsty that day, I took a bottle of water with me, on our way to the car, I tried to find it, but I could not, so I went back to the store & they asked me for a receipt which kind of made me mad & I walked out. I said just keep it. (I'm 74 Years old. Why would want to lie about a bottle of water.)

As I'm walking back I remembered I was thirsty, So I grabbed the receipt & I came back, It took some time, I though he went back to get me water, but he went back to review the tape to prove I put the bottle of the water in the cart which cost the store more than the 30 C bottle of water, While I was waiting, I said I don't have all time to waste. A lady jumped up (I believe she is a supervisor, & very rudely said, "You can leave the store" with out the store. I felt very humiliated especially she said where everyone can hear her & my wife had to walk with him & show him where got from. I don't believe that was appropriate, that is not decent service & I will not step my foot in that store again. No one thought may be the water fell out of the cart since it was not in a bag.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I am really upset about the whole experience, especially, that I wasted that much time and haven't had the result. I was trying to place an order online got really bad experience:

1. The prices on items were rising as I was going back to the item and clicking on it for the second time.
2. I was not able to order the needed amount of each item but it was just one per order.
3. At the end of the ordering process, there was a "processing fee" and the amount of it was increasing rapidly as the order goes without me adding the extra items just going through the order cart.
4. there were no options to pick up the ordered items from the store but curb service.
5. the shipping fees were absolutely ridiculous (.

Therefore, I have to start the whole process somewhere else from scratch.

Order Summary

Merchandise Subtotal: $150.25.
Processing Fees: $39.20.
Shipping Charges: $146.50.

Pretax Subtotal: $335.95.

Original review: May 12, 2020

On the 12th of February I bought a sink from the Menards in South Haven, Mi. I was told the sink wasn’t in stock and it would need to be ordered. 3 months later I found out the sink won’t be in until July (They hope). The Man that called me (Mark) offered no apology, no discount, nothing. Needless to say, I plan to blast Menards on every social media venue I can possibly find and discourage anyone I know from shopping there ever.

Original review: May 12, 2020

Bought our lG washing machine brand new, four years ago, and now the motherboard is out of it. A 220 repair, left buying another machine, but not an LG. It would appear from other reviews, that it is great. Just sadly not our experience.

Original review: May 10, 2020

We ordered online for pick up. Some items were not available but they made that clear and did not substitute, which we were very appreciative of. When I arrived at gate 13, which was ingenious, they promptly brought the order out and let me know I had to get out to load it myself. So I did. But, I was surprised they did not just load it in the back of my vehicle. I had it open. I'm a senior and it was ok for me to lift the heavy things I ordered online, but not everyone who would love to take advantage of is service can.

Afterwards, I reviewed my bill, I should have checked it before finalizing my order, I was charged a 20 percent mark-up for the service. I find this confusing during covid 19, it seems high, and I had no option for self selecting a gratitude tip myself. I have not had this experience at other establishments. I will go back...but probably not until this passes. And, not for pick up.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I will NEVER shop at Menards again. I recently ordered an outdoor patio set on their website. It was not "bar height" (as I had thought). It was "bar style", so I refused the order and asked for a refund. There was nothing "special" about this. Not until I didn't want it. Original cost was over $1200.--They refunded me $900...25% restocking for a purchase made on THEIR website. Nothing on their website said/says this. I've contacted corporate...Waiting on response.....AND the $300+ money they "stole" from me.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I purchased something online and wanted to cancel the order. I tried to find a phone number to call. No luck, so I called my local store, again, ZERO help because all I got out of them as they could do nothing for me. Menards, join the 21st century and allow for personal contact. Now I will need to accept the package and return the item - how efficient and convenient. I feel like a VERY valued customer. (NOT) I guess I will need to take my business elsewhere where I am valued. Warning to others - don't shop online at Menards.

Original review: April 20, 2020

So as a customer of Menards for many years and buying many things from Menards I have never had an issue like this before. I have been treated with courtesy and felt that if there was an inconvenience it was able to be resolved with great customer service. Today was not one of those days. Ultimately my wife bought a brand new (in a box never been touched) tiller from the store in Baxter today (4/19/20). She brought it home and I went to go put it together for her.

The first thing I noticed was how destroyed the box was. It didn't look like it had been open, but there were tears/holes and tape holding the box together. The first thing I did was take it back to the store and since it was the last one and so beaten up I asked if we could knock a couple of bucks off it just because it looked like it had been dropped and taped back together. I was put in touch with Stacy the store manager. I stated can I get a couple of bucks off of this, if so I can manage anything that might be broken. I never opened the box and Stacy stated that we could swap it for the floor model. So I asked if the price could be lower on that at all as it is a floor model and not brand new, out of the box, never been touched.

I was given the answer that it was not possible and all she could do was swap out for the floor model. (Maybe I am out of line, but when you buy something brand new, if it comes in a box it is brand new in a box, not taken out unless it has been agreed upon to do so.) I even asked if I could get the extended warranty that menards offers as my wife did not buy that and Stacy stated that she couldn't. So she opened the box, (now I am stuck with an open box item, not brand new) and told me that there was nothing broken on it an that it was fine.

She again stated that all she could do was swap for the floor model or I could keep this one. So I shook my head in disgust and went home with the one in the box hoping that there wasn't any damage. My wife and I put it together and took a video and pictures of us unboxing it. When we unboxed it we noticed that there was a dent in the exhaust shield along with a big scratch, there as a big scratch on the brush bar in front of the motor, scratches on the underside of the dirt shield, and a big crack in the paint on the handle bar (at the weld point). We documented those things and put it together after which we noticed that the right handle bar was bent (explains the crack in the paint at the weld point.).

So I called back and talked with Stacy, I asked when they would be getting any new ones in, she stated there was none on order, but again I could have the floor model one. I again asked if there was any mark down for a floor model, 10% or anything? She stated that she could not and that they didn't mark down floor models for power equipment. I stated that I have gotten floor models from menards before and was able to get a markdown on it as it is not Brand New untouched in a sealed box from the factory. She stated that only her GM could I asked if I could speak with him and she connected me with him. His name is Jason, I got the same answer and was asked to bring it in to have it checked out. (We are in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic and less being around the better, I informed him that this was important.)

He stated he could get some pictures of it to. So I took some pictures of it and sent it to him. After some issues with emails and pictures he finally got them and we talked. He stated that he talked to Stacy about what it looked like when she opened the box. Jason stated that Stacy told him the exhaust shield could have had a dent in it, but she didn't see if the handle bar was broken. (From the way it was packaged it would be hard this) Well she had told me that there was no damage to it the first time I brought the unopened/damaged box back to her.

Now she says the exhaust shield was busted. Jason then continued to say about the handle bar being bent that because of what Stacy had said he didn't know if it was that or if I had damaged it during unpacking. (I have a video of us unpacking and picture of the damaged box, the corner of the box that was damaged the most is where the handle bar was and the exhaust and where all the damage was.)

I asked if he was really going to play that card? So we continued our conversation and he didn't raise his voice, but did not seem to be to concerned about it and again reiterated that I could come have the brand new one that was on the floor in the store. I again reiterated that his idea of brand new and my idea of brand new were not meshing up because brand new to me is untouched out of the box (preferably an undamaged one). So I reluctantly agreed to drive and swap out for the floor model. To which I am about to go do. Very disappointed in Menards this day!!

Menards Company Information