3.9/5 (655 ratings)

About Menards

Menards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Menards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Menards?

Original review: March 20, 2022

Bought $4,000+ of kitchen cabinets & a granite countertop. Delivery was a fiasco - way outside the promised timeframe, and at the last minute I’m told they can’t carry in the countertop for liability reasons (I’d paid an extra delivery charge for that very service). After wrestling the countertop off its pallet the delivery guy offers to return the pallet to Menard’s & gives me a receipt for me to collect the $20 deposit. First wall cabinet comes with a broken foot.

The 2nd disintegrated coming out of its carton: they dry-fit the thing without gluing it. Oh, and when I tried to redeem the pallet receipt the “service” gal treats me like a criminal like I’m trying to scam twenty bucks off John Menard… and although I followed the procedure I was told, she goes on to scold me to “show proof” next time. Bottomline: poor quality and none of the various departments are on the same page.

Original review: March 7, 2022

I bought a Powermate wood chipper from Menards that I used 2 Days last fall. Just recently pulled it out to chip up some limbs and something broke internally. Took it back, they will not exchange it!! They won’t stand behind their products.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I've had issues with Menards 3 out of the 4 times I've shopped there. First time ever shopping with the company, I ordered a MasterCraft exterior door online through Menards. I received the door and had it installed. My boyfriend and I went on a weekend float trip which it had stormed one night. When we came home the next day, my brand new floors were soaked with water that had came through the window on the door. The process to replace the door alone was annoying and difficult. They only sent a window replacement and didn't cover charges for installation, the water damage, and flooring that had to be replaced. When the replacement was received, it had different sealing material and was still very poorly manufactured. Since this was already a frustrating process, I had the installer seal around the window himself.

The second time shopping at Menards I purchased a glass globe light fixture, which had to be returned because the barcode removed the frost. For the door and another trip I had made to Menards, I sent in rebate forms and receipts. I followed directions and sent in what I was given for the rebates. I was never reached out to by the company and so when I followed up I was informed that I didn't have the proper paperwork. Seeing that this has been months ago, the email was automatically deleted and there's no way to retrieve the rebate receipts again. Therefore, I am not getting any money back like they so loudly advertise for this company.

I've had others tell me the rebate process is complicated. I see this as a way for the company to avoid giving customers the money back that they owe them. I've sent off for Lowe's rebates multiple times and had no issues, the process was so easy, and I actually got my money! I have filed a complaint directly to Menards. We'll see what comes of that. I am making my frustrations known here and will be reviewing the company elsewhere. I will not be shopping there anymore unless this is made right. Seeing how everything else has went with them, I don't see them doing much, if anything. I do not recommend shopping with this company to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

We called and were told stove was there. Said would set aside with name on it. Drove hour and 45 minutes 1 way. Stove was not there and could not ship another that would be discounted to another store closer to us. This isn't the 1st time a Menards had messed up our orders. I'm sure that other stores would have tried to make it right.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Purchased a brand new front door for $3500. It delivered to our home and our installer installed it. 2 issues: a noticeable round indentation on door when sunlight hits it and trim around one of the satellite windows does not fit but bulges out. Unacceptable. Menards will not cover costs to fix our issue. We can get a new door or the parts to fix but who is paying for the labor??? We have already paid for 1 install. This issue started with a defective product. MENARDS needs to step up and fix the issue by covering the few hundred dollars it will take to make it right.

Menards had a customer service guy named Ray from corporate office that responded to one of our communications. The only way Menards deals with its valued customers is by email only - so ridiculous!!!! Ray is sassy, unprofessional and not a good representative of Menards! They should be ashamed to have Ray working there!!! Menards will be losing our business and so much more over a few hundred dollars, the amount on labor to fix our door issue. They are not a good company and no one should have to deal with a corporate company's lack of professionalism. Unbelievable!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

My 80 year old mother purchased a refrigerator from this company and when she turned it on it did not work!! I called the store and they were rude, disrespectful and nasty. They told me she would have to return and they could replace it 10 days later!!! Did I mention she is 80 years old.. We return it on our own and went to Lowe’s!! Don’t waste your money at this low budget store.. Clearly there is still a problem getting good people to work because this company will hire any idiot to fill the spot!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

If I could give this store negative stars I would. I designed a bathroom around what this store had to offer. I ordered a specialty counter top for my vanity and it took longer for it to arrive than the other pieces. I asked for the store to hold my order until it was all together to deliver. They have made 2 separate deliveries and now are holding my counter top unless I pick it up or pay yet another delivery fee. Meanwhile before this even happened I was told that I hadn't ordered it and was called several times while at work out of town with their sales people trying to bully me into buying another one over the phone, after they had my money for the first. Do yourself a favor and just go to Lowe's.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

On Dec 6th, 2021 I went to Menards in Oakdale, Mn store to look for wood chrome moldings, I made it to the cashier intact. When the cashier saw me arriving she already started to give me an ugly look and giving a bad attitude. She held her scanner and acted like me gently moving my piece of wood was too slow and not good enough for her to scan it. The look on her face was definitely showing how lazy and loosie her attitude was.

When one of my wood piece felt to hiding the ground instead of helping me she acted like nothing bad had happened and immediately said "it wasn't me" with her mocking voice. I politely asked her for a discount and she yield out loud: "she wants a discount." Everyone in the store by the checkout lines looked at me. How embarrassing was it to add the manager's bad attitude and denial on discount not permitted even louder. Now making the story short he sent me out with a " Have a nice day and a better attitude". I regretted instantly walking in Menards and felt humiliated in front of 40+ customers. I should have bought what I needed from Home depot. At least I get help from kind and honest people there who care about their customers. I don't know if that helps but I understood the say: "you get what you paid for" very well today.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

About the first of September, I ordered a 16x24 garage kit from the NW Menards in Wichita, KS. From the day of delivery the nightmare began. We began to realize that some of what was on the order weren't delivered and some items delivered weren't on the order! After much frustration, I asked for someone to come out and look the situation over and bring what was supposed to be delivered, and take back the stuff that wasn't on the order! Of course, they couldn't do that!!

The first real major problem was that we were short two rafters. When I called I was told it would take 4-6 weeks to have them ready!! We ended up making our own. Later on, when it was time to place them and deck the roof, we discovered that they were made with the worst lumber they could find on location, I guess. They were extremely crooked and it was a battle to get them lined up correctly. I could go on and on about the extra trips, the worthless apologies, and an attitude that we just don't freaking care!!

Today, I just returned over $1,300 dollars of unused material. Some items were like the gutters. I decided to go seamless. I also returned the two walk-in doors I had ordered. I had been told by two other contractors that they have had nothing but trouble with doors from Menards. Once the assistant manager started going through all the junk, he began to realize the true extent of the screwups! The doors I just mentioned were supposed to be identical. It turned out that one of them was a special order door. I can't really say what I was supposed to get, but they were to be the same door. There was a $70 difference between the two. At least the manager accepted the return on the special order one.

Then, they delivered 1x6 metal facia trim, but the kit called for 2x6. There were supposed to be only 9 of them, but when they counted what I brought back there were 12! There were other smaller discrepancies, but this assistant manager was beginning to get the picture that I had a legitimate beef with Menards. But each time he started to utter an apology I verbally slapped him down by saying your apologies just don't cut it!! As I was waiting through the whole process, people were walking by and seeing all that was going on. I kept telling people that they should never buy a building kit from Menards!!! I will never enter another Menards the rest of my life!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

So store did not have fans needed. Sales said use online ordering. Found four hunter fans ordered. Received them but not the same as pictured. Called hunter they could not help but rep said you could order direct. Took fans back to Menards since they screwed up the order. Got nailed with a restocking fee for so called special order fans. Guess you have to dig through specifications to see if they are not normal stock. So instead of seating special order customer has to go digging and finding that term. So in retrospect if you need hunter fans just order directly from them. They even gave discounts. Menards honestly should be embarrassed with their website. Will never use them for anything.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I ordered (3) Hunter ceiling fans online on 08/21/2021. I received the fans 10/15/2021 after I had ordered them elsewhere for a 20% less cost and delivered before Menards could get them to me. I returned the fans to Menards the same day I got them and they had an extreme difficulty finding them on the return slip. Then, they claimed this was a "special" order? and said there was a 25% restocking fee! What? These are Hunter fans, sold in the store, but they were out of them! Ordering them online becomes a special order, un-be-knowing to the person ordering them, and what a surprise when you try to return them. Cripes, what a beating! I'm certainly not ordering "ANYTHING" from Menards online again...Real disgusted with this.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

The store has amg that lie through their nose. Bought a washer/dryer combo. It does not work properly and is also too small. I told them this right after it was delivered. They sent me from one person to another to get this returned until the time limit was up. Mike the amg called me a liar on a recorded line. I spent 30+ k with them this year but they are not getting one more business transaction from me. Their rebate system is a scam as we’ll never received my full 11% back but what do you expect from a company whose owner is backer of Trump two criminals.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

It matters not what item I search Menards online to purchase. If the Menards website says there are 14 of whatever in stock at your preferred Menards store, when you get there you can count on there being NONE in stock! This happens every single time I use Menards website! EVERY SINGLE TIME! I'm so done with Menards! Home Depot and Lowe's both have the common sense to state the aisle and bin number where you can find the item. Menards chooses instead to rearrange their entire store every few years in order to confuse and stymie every attempt to find not only the item you're looking for, but the very department itself! From now on, I'll drive the extra 3 miles to Home Depot or I'll drive the extra 13 miles to Lowe's. Buh bye, Menards... rest in peace.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

When I go to Menards I expect to find lumber that may not be top of the line, but it will be adequate for my project. And I do find what I need -95% of the time. What I could use is help! All workers seem to disappear.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

The last four deliveries from Menards have been absolutely terrible. The last guy asked if he could leave the new refrigerator outside until the next day because he had to pick up his kid from daycare.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

BEFORE YOU DO BUSINESS WITH MENARDS, check their BBB rating!!! It is an "F". They do not attempt to resolve any problems and do not comply with FTC rules regarding change of shipping. I cancelled an order because the ship date was pushed back over 2 weeks. They issued a refund minus the rebate amount. The rebate has not been issued and clearly states that it will be reduced by the amount of any returns. They cheated me out of $106.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I wish there is a zero star for this rating. Very bad service. People in the store bring you incorrect items, which you get stuck with. I bought a bathtub and wall set the other day. The employee brought me the wrong items and wrong size, different from the displayed ones I asked for. This cost me a lot renting a truck to return the bulky wall set to the store.

Further, we noticed that the bathtub is not the right model I chose after it has been installed. You typically don't expect that the employee is careless that he brings you a different item. When I contacted customer service complaining about this poor service, they told me it's my responsibility to check the items at the store and make sure they are the correct ones you asked for. Instead of taking the responsibility, they asked me next time to stand in the middle of the store opening the huge bathtub and wall set boxes and getting items out of the boxes piece by piece to make sure that the careless employee got me the right stuff I asked for. That is it. NO MORE MENARDS. Competitive stores have much better customer service from my previous experience and BTW they also give you 11% rebate if you ask for it.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

The 11% rebate is a scam for Menard. If you will send your rebate form in international rebate, you will not receive your rebate check. When you check your rebate it says they mail already with numbers. Since I was buying in Menard and fill-up the form and mail to them, I have not received any rebate check. I will give a minus 0 star!

Original review: July 17, 2021

I've sent in a total of 5 separate rebates and 3 of them have been over 3 months ago. I've received 1 back, kind of feel cheated. Lowe's and Home Depot will get the rest of my business from now on. I am in the middle of a big remodeling so too bad Menards on future business from me.

Original review: July 13, 2021

June 2021. I bought a item online. The box was torn open and taped with clear box tape the entire box. When I opened it up the battery tender which I bought never did charge. They knew it was damaged goods yet they still send the product. Beware when buying online. I read their policy. They said you may not get your refund back by returning items to the store in person.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Purchased some rock tile they advertised in the store at the Elkhart Menards. Of course only one box in store. So they ordered it in and told me would arrive on June 8th. It never made it to the store until June 27. Had installers ready so I had to purchase something else because it arrived late. Took the rock back because it took so long and has to pay a 25% restocking fee. Even asked them if I could have in store credit and that was a No. I will shop somewhere else!

Original review: June 17, 2021

Do not purchase the extended protection plans, they are a total scam. They cover nothing. I specifically asked when purchasing the two chairs about damage caused by dogs and was assured that the chairs would be replaced. When I tried to file a claim, I was told that damage by dogs is not covered, only stains. If the chair is stained by the animal, they will send you a cleaning product. The chairs are squeaking terribly when they rock. That is also not covered. In fact, nothing is covered. I was purposefully lied to in order to get me to purchase the two plans for $300. Never again. Lowes and Home Depot here I come!

Original review: June 15, 2021

I was excited to see a new hardware store competing with Home Depot and Lowe's when it arrived in our area. I have now done business with this location and am disgusted by the true lack of service I receive when doing business with this location. Example: Online order for 6 x 12 x 8 pressure-treated lumber. The lumber was terrible quality, and because I wasn't taking that item, your staff thought it was appropriate to tell me to take my car already loaded with lumber to customer service on the other side of the store to correct the order. Really? No, that is the staff's job to do.

Example: I purchased an exterior 1/2 light door with window that opens that should have a screen in it. Picked up on 6/6/21, installed on 6/15/21. Discovered after the installation by my contractor that the screen is missing. So, how does Menards staff handle this? They tell me to run after the manufacturer to get the screen that should have been with the door to begin with. No, that is the staff's job. Not the customer who spent over $360 for that door. This company's service is infinitely worse than Home Depot. They should be ashamed of this store.

Original review: June 9, 2021

I placed an order on for a gift card for my father's birthday. I contacted customer service within 7 minutes of placing this order, because I missed a number off on the address and Menards changed the city without my knowledge. I asked them if they could correct the address.. I contacted 30 minutes later stating they would attempt to cancel, but could not change the address. I contacted them back 2 hours later and no response. A hour later, I contacted the main office, only to be told they will look into it. I signed back into my account and it showed shipped. 10 hours later, I have contacted the company 3 times, no response, no actions. I am out $50. However they are out a loyal customer. Lowe's will now have all my business.

Original review: May 20, 2021

Menards offers an 11% rebate on its ONLINE site that in the fine print turns out only able to be used IN-STORE. How stupid! So I'm supposed to drive from Texas to Missouri to use an 11% discount. So what they are doing is using a rebate as a tool to gain sales knowing that the vast majority of their nationwide customers will never be able to use their rebate. Blatantly dishonest. I reached out to Menards to ask if they would honor the rebate for a new order of $200 but they declined to do the right thing. So they will not be getting my business.

Original review: May 20, 2021

This is by far the worst company I've ever purchased anything from and I've purchased from China and third world countries. Story goes as follows: I bought some items from them, I received a tracking number and a few days later my items showed up. I figured okay, I can buy more items from them so I did. Received my tracking number xyz for my new purchased and it came a few days later but it was missing 2 rollers. No big deal right? Wrong. I sent them an email on 04/11 because of course they don't have a phone number you can call (should've been my first sign). I received a reply on the 15th that they were going to resend me the whole track system again and that tracking number will soon follow. I immediately replied and told them that there was no need to send the whole order, just send me the missing rollers.

On the 20th I received my tracking number but guess what? It was again xyz (second sign) but I didn't noticed that trick until 05/05 so I again emailed them to let them know that I hadn't received my missing pieces and that they have me the same tracking number once again. On the 6th they replied with the "correct shipping information" but again it was xyz (third sign) but I once again trusted that it was a new number... wrong... 05/20 I emailed them once I realized that I still don't have my missing pieces and that they again gave tracking number xyz. This time I wasn't as nice but they were quick to reply so I was happy about the quick reply only to find out that the tracking number was once again... you guessed it, xyz.

Original review: May 20, 2021

Almost paid $37 for $12 order. 3 same items, 2 separate shipping charges, 2 items for $7 and 1 item $10 to to ship to home and $7 processing fee. It's a ripoff and no need for the fee and separate shipping.

Original review: May 10, 2021

Menards has terrible customer service. Ordered a storm door and handle online. Picked up the items at the store and come to find handle is Bent, tried to exchange handle and they give me one that has been opened and returned. So ordered one online and received wrong handle and still waiting on a reply from customer service. Can't believe how terrible Menards is.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Menards in Lebanon, Indiana - The workers in the main store are great, but the short guy cashiering and the FOUR managers waiting at the front treat customers terribly! Don't shop here unless you want to be bullied and shouted down! Going to Tractor Supply from now on... they are actually nice to their customers.

Original review: May 2, 2021

I brought an item to return for a credit check that I bought and paid for and they took the item and said it was a high theft item and since I didn't have a receipt they were going to keep it unless I could come up with the receipt. This is nothing short of criminal theft by taking an item that I bought in the store out of my hands. I was able to prove I bought it and received my credit slip with much to do. I am reporting this to the Attorney General Consumer Fraud and starting a class action lawsuit. Don't do business with this unscrupulous, unethical company!

Menards Company Information