1.90/5
Based on 158 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1315 Macy's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

I shop fairly often at Macy's at their women's shoes department and I'm tired of receiving used/display model shoes. This is the 3rd or 4th pair of shoes that I ordered that have been worn. On this occasion, the sandals that I ordered happened to be last act and I'm unable to get an exchange for another pair since they're sold out of my size. I called customer service and they apologized and offered to either refund the item or if I wanted to keep it they will give me a 20% discount. The associate I spoke with said there was an error whenever she tried to process the discount and said that she would give me a call back the next day.

I waited for the callback but did not receive one. I called customer service the next day regarding the issue and a different associate stated they are not able to give me a discount because the item is last act. I told her that when I called before a supervisor approved the discount. I was placed on hold and was supposedly honored the discount. I asked if I will be receiving a confirmation and was told yes but I have yet to receive one. The associate asked if she can connect me to her supervisor and I responded yes and the phone just continued to ring and no one answered. I'm very disappointed in Macy's customer service. They do not keep their word. If you tell a customer you will honor something, then go through with it. Think twice before ordering online for shoes.

Original review: June 13, 2018

The worst customer service I have ever received. It all started because I went online because there was a sale that ended on Sunday June 10 2018 for 30% off beauty products using the code EVENT. I was buying some face cream and was supposed to get a bunch of free samples, and I was also buying several sets of curtains.

I did my online shopping and went to checkout, but the page would just spin and spin and not update to actually enter the credit card details and pay. I tried multiple browsers and even had my husband try on a different computer, but nothing worked. Today I checked Facebook and saw several other people complaining about the same issue, so it was not just me or user error. I called the supposed 24/7 800 number, but got a message that due to a system upgrade no one was available to help me. I then emailed the customer service email address that night before the sale was over.

About a day later I got an email back that I should call customer service and someone would help me place the order. So I called... The call center in Manilla Philippines is awful. It sounds like a party when you call with a bunch of women laughing in the background. I have called twice and been put on hold and left on hold twice. The first time for over 15 minutes and I eventually hung up. So I called back, spoke to a male worker and then was transferred to a woman who was supposedly the supervisor. I was trying to buy the items over the phone and get the discount I would have gotten on Sunday.

The supposed supervisor said she would make a one time exception and give me the sale price. Then she took that back and said the face cream was no longer available to buy at all. I said fine and that I still wanted the curtains. I gave the woman my credit card info and all the details, she put me back on hold and left me on hold for 20 min and then eventually she hung up on me/disconnected the call. I was trying to buy something!

I was at no point rude, I didn't yell or do anything other than trying to buy some face cream and curtains. The terrible employee got all of my information and there is no reason she could not place the order, but I was on the call for over 45 minutes, and in the end the woman just disconnected the call. I don't see any charges on my credit card which means that after wasting my time with multiple calls and emails and most recently 45 minutes of my time, I still have no curtains or cream.

I will not shop at Macy's anymore, I would rather go spend my $$ at Nordstroms, a better store, with better quality products, better management, and amazing customer service. If Macy's goes out of business as a company it will be because of the terrible customer service. SO BAD!!!! I will tell everyone I know about this awful experience. I have already told several co-workers and friends, and I will discourage everyone I know from ever shopping at this terrible awful company run by people who clearly do not appreciate their customers and do not hire good employees or train employees on proper customer service.

Your stupid phone surveys don't do any good when the employees know they might get a bad survey, so they just hang up on the customers so they cannot get a bad survey. What a waste. I was very excited about my curtains and what should have been a fun happy experience was ruined by awful customer service and now I will have to find something someplace else because I refuse to buy anything from Macy's now. I still don't understand why after providing my credit card and everything the woman needed, she put me on hold and then hung up on me and never placed the order. Why????

If you value your customers at all you will do something about this. Macy's must be losing customers left and right based on all the terrible comments I see on social media and the terrible experiences I have had. I have been a loyal customer to Macy's and I always do much of my Xmas shopping at Macy's, but that is over. I would rather take my money elsewhere and get better service.

Quit cutting corners and stop shipping everything to the Philippines to people who do not care. In truth though, even the US employees do not care. Most likely no one will ever read this email, or just delete it, and if you are reading it now you probably don't care either. Maybe you will care when you lose your job because Macy's goes out of business due to the terrible awful deplorable customer service. I have wasted enough of my time on this. I will now go spend my hard earned money at a different store, never to return.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Last night your site crashed. I tried for hours to place an order to no avail. I called customer service to get assistance, after waiting over an hour on the phone I hung up. Now I've called again today & stayed on the phone with someone who cannot speak English for over an hour even after asking several times to be transferred to someone in the US. I did get to speak with a cs rep in the US and am still on the phone 3 hrs and 13 minutes and counting. Although I appreciate to kindness of the US rep still... Very poor customer service to say the least, I'm so disappointed. Now I'm told I cannot use PayPal or get Macy's Rewards!!! I am a loyal Macy's customer but you've got to do better!! My time is valuable and placing an order should not be this complicated and tedious. There should be recompense to all your customers who had this experience wasting time and being inconvenienced. -10 Customer Rating.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I order two items that I needed for an upcoming trip. I was notified that they were sent. Now they tell me that the order was canceled and are no longer available. I was not told that there was a problem and given no explanation. I do not recommend anyone to buy from Macy's. Do not trust them.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Macy's used to have a return policy of 365 days. That was the big reason I shop at Macy's online. I'm very busy Mom who has no time to go to the store for shopping. Today, I tried to return some items, and was told that the return policy had changed to 180 days. I just missed the cut off day without being aware of. I called customer service, and the associate answered me very unprofessionally. They should let the customer know the change more visible!!! Or they should accept a return for the first time, if they care for customer's satisfaction. I will no longer shop at Macy's.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?

Original review: May 30, 2018

I called to get my 25% off promo code you mail me all the time. I was transferred four times, and never got to talk with a manager; ended up being transferred to a Spanish department. I just wanted to place my $550.00+ order in my shopping cart, no one cares at this company with overseas employees who leave you on hold, hang up on you, etc. I do spend a fair amount of money at Macy's, at least I Did in the past. After all that phone trouble, no one could help or cared to, I've decided to take my business elsewhere. Maybe someone will read this and see how customer service plays a big role in any business. The Box Store like yourself, will be affected if enough customers leave like I have. I had a simple question, wanting help with a promo code you mail me all the time, but I didn't have access to it today. Sadly, your employees don't care and you now lost a good customer of many, many years!

Original review: May 26, 2018

The right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing. I am a Macy's shopper and credit card holder for about a decade now. Their customer service has declined very quickly. My latest experience was with a shirt I bought. I got caught in the rain wearing it and came home and lay it flat to dry on my couch. It shrunk from a medium to an infant size overnight! I called them, explained and they sent me a shipping label. They reassured me they had their notes on the system so the warehouse manager would know what the problem was when he got it in that state! Needless to say, it was returned to me by the warehouse manager! He failed to read the notes on the system!

On May 6th which was 3 weeks later I called Macy's and they said they would credit my account. Right after that I kept getting emails from them asking me to return the shirt. I called back and they started offering me 20 percent off the shirt price back! I was furious! I didn’t know that the credit had been posted. After bargaining with me to get to 30 percent she put me on hold to get supervisor approval. It was then that the supervisor realized the credit was posted in full! I have posted a picture of the shrunk shirt next to my foot to give you an idea of how much the shirt had shrunk. Not only does Macy's have the poorest customer service but they sell low quality clothing. I’m so done!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have been dealing with this people for about 4 months. I bought 4 pairs of shoes for a bridal party. I asked the cashier if I could return it if it did not work for the bridesmaids, she advised me I had 30 days. I went tried the shoes with them everything was fine. So then I ordered another paid from another store to be shipped to Galleria mall because they told me they could (Walden Galleria). Short version, they lost the shoes, I cannot find another one the same as the rest so I returned the 4 shoes previously bought and was told that I would be getting a check for my due amount. Waiter, never came so I called, they had the wrong whatever since it was going to Canada, okay do the whole thing again... still nothing, just called and was advised that it was not a check that was coming but a store credit!!! I paid off my Macy's card right away, so I cannot put it on the card, but now they are sending me a gift card.

I WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM. No one told me it was a gift card, and I have to chase them to do their jobs. They are super rude on the phone just trying to brush you off so you forget about the problem They are disgusting! I have never EVER dealt with such an unprofessional group of people like the ones at Walden Galleria mall. They should all be fired and replaced, they are miserable and hate their jobs.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I purchased this Worry No More plan because the sales associate told me that this would cover ANY damage to the sofa and fabric for 7 years. However, it is 3 years later and I have filed a claim because the seat and the armrest is completely sunken. A technician came out and looked at it. He told me the cushion was "normal wear and tear" which apparently isn't covered but the armrest had frame damage and that should be covered. However, my claim was closed and they are refusing to repair. They are now saying the technician said that the armrest was also normal wear and tear. I have owned MANY sofas over the years and have never had an armrest cave in in the middle. THIS IS A TOTAL RIP OFF! I have called and left messages and sent emails. No one responds to either.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I had a Macy's card 5 years ago that I closed because they charged me late fees and never sent me a bill. In late 2017, I folded and opened another one to save money while Christmas shopping. Since I didn't trust them, I paid my bills with my debit card after purchasing in the store. The last purchase I wasn't able to, so I have been waiting for a bill at my house. Today I received one with a $29 late fee charge. This is absolutely, 100% fraudulent. I never received an initial bill.

When I called the company, they thankfully waived it, but told me to expect an interest charge to come for $2, so I will have to call them back again. This is exactly what happened last time, though the last time I had paperless billing and never saw the email. I couldn't even find it on a search. This time I am 100% certain I never received a bill, as my husband and I have both been looking for it. This company is unbelievable. I will, never, ever open another Macy's card and I hope no one else does either. Apparently, this is how they make their money back for all the discounts they give you.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Hello, I'm getting pretty annoyed with Macy's Customer Service. Here's a timeline of what happened: In April, I subscribed to the Beauty Box. After received my first one, which was shipped April 9th, I decided to cancel my subscription because I didn't see value in it. I went on my account and saw a message that said I didn't have a subscription. I then emailed Macy's customer service on April 17th and got a response from team member Arlyn **: "Since you are getting a message stating you are not a subscriber, it means that your subscription was already cancelled. In the event that you receive a Beauty Box for May, kindly let us know immediately so we could send a notification to our internal team for further investigation."

However, on May 6th I received an email from Macy's saying my Beauty Box was on its way. I immediately responded to Arlyn's email and let her know my subscription wasn't in fact cancelled. On May 7th, I received an email from Macy's asking for "more time" to analyze the problem. Not having heard anything by May 11th, I reached out again, and the day after I got the email below, stating that I need to cancel on the website, which brings me to stage 1. I did not subscribe with a different email address, because I don't even have a different email address, and I'm getting shipping notifications and such on this same email. I don't know why I'm not seeing it on the website, but I need this cancelled.

By the way, I just read that cancellations have to be made by the 10th of each month, but I've tried in every possible way to cancel, so now you're going to charge me for two boxes I never wanted in the first place? I DEMAND a refund, otherwise I'll never shop at Macy's again. I expect a response with my subscription cancellation today.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Manipulation: 1) Promote credit card use. I was shopping for clothes and found many sale signs throughout the store for '30% off' but there was confusing small print that seem to suggest that I can only get the 30% off if I use a Macy's credit card. I had no intention of being manipulated into getting a Macy's credit card and didn't want to waste my time if not all items were priced fairly for all customers so I asked a sales clerk what the small print on the '30% off' sign meant.

The first two sales associates didn't know and the 3rd said she 'thinks' the sale only applies to those using a Macy's credit card. I am not OK with this. The signs should be more clear--no ** small print, the sales associates should know what the small print means, and it is irresponsible for Macy's to use this tactic to induce people to apply for and use their credit card. Can you imagine if every company did this? We'd all be forced to have over a dozen credit cards or else be charged extra. For that reason alone, I refuse to go to Macy's ever again.

2) Buy 1 get the 2nd for 50% off. The sign that reads this has '50% off in huge letters and the 'buy one get the 2nd for 50% off in small letters' visible only when you get there. This is common in many stores. Meant to trick you into think you're getting 50% off when really you're getting 25% off and only if you buy 2. I don't like it, and it's manipulative, but so far, it's not that big a deal. However, I couldn't afford two shirts, just one. So I told the sales clerk that I could only afford one shirt and that's all I wanted. I said, 'I'd like to buy 1 shirt for 25% off, which is the equivalent saving that others get who can and are willing to buy two.' She said no. So I asked to see the manager and told him the same thing and he said no.

I pointed out to him that other customers are getting 25% off per item while I, due to my lower income, am being forced to pay more than others and that I am being discriminated against. I also told him that it's in the best interest to sell me one shirt for 25% off, because it's better than losing my business completely. He said sorry, but it was store policy. I asked for a complaint card and he said they don't have any. I told him told that he has lost my business and that I am boycotting his store for discrimination of lower income individuals and for the 30% off sign with the small print charging more for those who use a Macy's credit card. And then I left.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I Purchased five items on Macy’s.com and used a promotion code. Upon check out all the items showed the promotion code discount in red. The total to be charged was shown to include all the discounts and even said how much I was saving. But when my order confirmation came, I was charged the full amount for everything and my PayPal account was also charged the full amount. I have called three times to resolve the issue and still nothing has been done. THIEVES!!!

Another order I sent items back the very next day and was issued gift cards. When I called to ask why I was given gift cards, they said no problem they could transfer it to my original payment source. They then proceeded to ask me for the last four digits of my credit card which I gave them. They said the number did not match up. That is the only credit card that I own. I looked at the last four on my order confirmation and it was a number that I do not recognize, not my credit card. They refused to issue the credit to my card because the numbers did not match. Something is very wrong at Macy’s!

Original review: May 5, 2018

I used to be a Macy's customer. I found that they offered bargains if I had their credit card, but that paying using the site was difficult. They seemed to be selling when I wanted to be paying. I just became sick and tired of their non-responses to website problems and gave up.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I feel comfortable shopping at MACY's because I know that if there's a problem, a return is NO HASSLE. Also, I know what I am getting. There's no second-guessing. Also, I love the free shipping on cosmetics.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I shop several online sites and Macy’s is one of my favorites. Items are always in stock. Most of the time that have an extra percentage of sale prices so it’s always a bargain. Shipping is phenomenal. Had my purchase within 2 days!

Original review: May 4, 2018

Macy's was amazing. Four floors, a lot of people standing in line, and the cashier was patient and very polite. She greeted with a smile and never raise her voice or got smart. She was very nice and act like she enjoyed waiting on the customers.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Received statement and paid it in full last month and this month I am charge $2.00. I called and they said it was a remaining balance of last month. That's not true. I paid that in full as well. I called and they would not do anything about it. They never add the remaining amount in your monthly statement. When you paid amount and you are under the impression that you paid full amount.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Macy's, unlike most retailers, have the petite sizes that actually fit. Their prices are better than most and I love their merchandise... all of it. I didn't like their $10.00 shipping charge; however, I'm beyond that because I've reached the level on my credit card which gets free shipping all the time.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I have always had great service from Macy's. I have several clothing items I buy every year and I can always trust the quality and fit of those items. Having them delivered to my house saves me a lot of time and allows me to try things on with other items I own. If something isn't right I can go to the store to return or exchange the item easily. I also enjoy the store experience, when I have time.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Website is easy to navigate, sales are posted weekly, order process and returns are easy, and customer service is always available. Also, pictures of products are detailed and from many angles.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I recently had to purchase a few different dresses for my son’s wedding. I love the fact that Macy's posts customer reviews on each item. It is just so helpful! I found my dresses and am very happy.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Macy's offers a wonderful shopping experience. They have top rate customer service assistance. They offer top quality products at awesome pricing. The online purchasing is no charge for shipping to the store or house but nothing beats the extra service offered in the store. My favorite store, I just wish there was a brick and mortar store closer to our home.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Macy’s online shopping experience was great. Site was easy to navigate and different items were easy to find. Once I go to cart it was easy to navigate. All over this was a user friendly site.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I returned several items for a refund to my PayPal account and when I finally received my refund it was in Macy's gift cards, which I do not want because I will never order from them again... Ever! I have contacted Macy's several, several times since March and have still not received my refund to my PayPal account. The only answer I get from them is it takes 7-10 business days to received a refund. It has been 28 business days and still NO refund. Do not order from them because if you have to return an item don't expect to get a refund!

Original review: April 25, 2018

They have such a great way of letting you search. I keep shopping cause they do such a great job of making it maneuverable. I love using my rewards discount, too.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Macy's is my go to store for women’s clothing and shoes. The website is by far the best and easiest to navigate. The clothing is very good quality at a very fair price.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I had purchased 3 items for $3,400 from Macy's over the phone with an agent, and of course my card went through with no issue. An hour later, I received a mail notify me that the order was canceled, and when I called the only explanation was "There were some verification issues". What are they? Last week I ordered from you, how come there's an issue now? Nobody could answer. What really make me really angry, in rage, is that as of today the money is still not available in my account. I have to wait for 4 to 7 days? The same way Macy's canceled my order and took my money they should be able to return my money back immediately. You cancel my order and keep the money at the same time! What kind of scam is that?

Original review: April 23, 2018

I ordered a gift, which totaled approximately $450. Macy's took the money out of my account, but emailed me that the product was back ordered for months - not in time for giving the gift. I cancelled the order, but they still kept a hold on my money. It took weeks of being on hold with customer service and manager who actually LIED to me before I finally got my money refunded.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I love being able to save items to a list. You can request to be notified when any of the items on your list go on sale! It saves me a lot of time not having to constantly go to the Macy's site for deals.

Macy's Company Information