1.24/5
Based on 139 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Macy's

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

1255 Macy's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have never missed a payment for anything and had 100% payment success rate on my Credit Report. Then I make a purchase over the Holidays in Macy's store and I never received a credit card in the mail (still). I was also marked as ePayments when I always get paper statement. So I called and asked to get this late payment off of my report and was blamed for signing up for ePayment and was told that nothing could be done by two people. You lost a customer for life.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I placed an order online for couple of items that were not available in the store. My order automatically got cancelled, when I contacted customer service, they ask me to visit the store to purchase the item. I asked to speak with a manager was on hold for 45 mins. If Macy's doesn't want to do business, might as well close the stores. Why stay in business? To include to this, they offered some home mail in coupons but they don't accept it online.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I am a Macy's customer. I went in to pay my bill while I was there I notice they had a satchel purse by Fossil's I was interested in and I had found that it was on sale and I had the promo code on my phone along with the sign saying 20% off except the cashier would not give me the 20% even though I show her on my phone where it said in store shopping received an additional 20% off for Valentine day. She told me that the Maplewood store normally doesn't sell though purses I should go to Rosedale Macy's. It was one I like and the amount on it because it was the close to the same amount on the other ones I price in Rosedale, then I ask for a manager and she told me no. And I should leave because I was getting the additional 20% off.

So I left very disappointed, wondering how could a company allow their employees to treat their customers that way. I won't be stepping into another Macy's store again. And I do have a credit account with Macy's store. But I don't plan on using it again. My name is Charlotte ** and I am my phone number is **, so I didn't buy the purse and just paid my credit card account off.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I had a couple of questions about some chairs I wanted to order so I called. The salesman wanted my name and phone number right off then told me his name. During the conversation he must have reminded what his name was five times. To my questions regarding warranty he seemed nervous. He told me that Macy's is very good about warranties up to thirty days after delivery and that meant if it arrived and anything was the matter with it.

Since these chairs wouldn't be sat in often I needed to know about the manufacturer's warranty. He could not tell me. I assume because it was cheaply made imports. He wanted to go ahead and place my order. I told him I had to talk with my husband. He said he could hold while I talked to him. I declined. Then he gave me two phone numbers that I could reach him on to place the order, one which was his personal cell phone. He didn't want to let me off of the phone and I couldn't wait to hang up with him. I told my husband that he really annoyed me and that I wouldn't order through him. I decided to at chairs elsewhere and bought with no sales tax or shipping.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I've been trying since January 28, 2018 to get a bill of sale and a warranty confirmation on my purchases. I was told they would mail me copies of bill and warranty. Trying to call and put on hold for 15 min is terrible. Ordered #** and ** (recliner, love seat). Thank you for any help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Firstly, thank you Macy's for doing the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade for everyone for decades, it is always a magnificent experience and joy for all of us. Although I visit different Macy's locations, I primarily shop at the Hampton Bays, NY store. The staff and managers are always so helpful when I need assistance. Today when I visited the store I did require some additional assistance and I want to give accolades to Kevin one of the managers who did an outstanding job in helping me more than once, also to Ellen the cashier in cosmetics who smiled and was so pleasant when she handled my sale, Charlotte and Donna also assisted me with other purchases. I pray that this location will remain open, I love shopping here. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have had an account with Macy's for over three years, if not longer. I made a mistake on my credit card payment schedule and despite it being my first and only transgression, they did nothing to help me correct it, saying that they do not provide a courtesy pardon. I will be staying far away from this store in the future. This was terrible customer service.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

This is my first time ordering merchandise from Macy's online. I ordered ONE coat. When I hit, Place Order, nothing came up but a blank page. I went back to my account and checked the order status. No order. I signed out of my account, just made today, and signed back in, waiting to see if the order was placed or not. It wasn't. No order. So, I went back and reordered the coat.

Later on that day I tried to take money that I knew I had in my account out of the ATM machine at the bank. It took 3 times and $2.00 each time I tried to complete the transaction. I had $280.00 I could take out of my account but the ATM kept saying not enough funds... I had to settle after the 3rd time for only $200. Later on I checked my balance and lo and behold I have been charged for two coats but they sent ONLY ONE. So not only does Macy's owe me $70.94 for the extra coat, they owe me $4.00 for two bogus transactions in the ATM machine. Lion Brand did that to me also but this is about Macy's. Just beware because they are not an ethical company. I will never buy from them again.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I went to order a purse on-line. When I went to pay with my Macy's credit card, it wouldn't let the card go through. When I went to the account, it said I was past due. I have received my statements and paid my bill on-line for years. I contacted customer service and they said I had been switched to paper bills in October. I never switched nor authorized any switch. I had not carried a balance with them for months, however, I did buy some items for Christmas. I would always pay my bill the day I received the on-line statement.

I asked them why I hadn't received any notifications to let me know I was past due, they had no answer. They just kept saying I switched to paper bills in October, charged me a $38.00 late fee and lowered my credit limit. They could never tell me how my bill got switched. I will be cancelling my account with them. No wonder their stores are being closed! By the way, a few years back, they cleaned out my checking account of over $8,000.00! Fortunately, my bank contacted me and I was able to stop it. What can I say, I'm a slow learner!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I have been a very loyal customer to Macy's for years. Since when they were O'Neil's and then May Company. I purchase items in store as well as online. There have been a cluster of issues since Christmas of this past year (2017). The first was a pair of knee high boots that I ordered. I returned them to the store and was sent another pair. Then there have been 3 orders in a row where something was missing from the order or I never received the item (for these times I tracked my order and it showed that the item was delivered but I never received it). A couple days ago I had to call Macy's.com because I never received a pair of booties. I was told that my account would be credited. The next day I received an e-mail saying that they investigated the order and concluded that due to excessive claims of non-receipts, missing merchandise, damaged/defective, they will be unable to credit or reship the merchandise.

They go on to say that they will no longer be able to process any reshipment or credit to this billing name or address. I am getting the brunt of their issues! I called customer service and spoke with a manager. I was told that they will not do anything about this; she just kept apologizing in an obviously practiced, impersonal tone and manner. They took my money without supplying the merchandise. That is theft! I have the number to the executives of Macy's and will be calling at 9:00am sharp. This is ridiculous! I'm being treated like a criminal because they cannot get it together!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I ordered online with a $37 gift card, but later returned the item as it was defective. Macy's miscredited me only a $25 replacement gift card, and I called them about it. They promised to send me the remaining balance on a 2nd gift card, but two weeks later, no card in my mail. I called them about it again, and had to jump through hoops this time, receiving only lame apologies and false promises of a replacement card. But yet, two weeks later now, still no 2nd gift card. I will never shop with them again.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have had a very bad experience with Macy’s in Rockaway Mall NJ. I bought a watch from them and they said I will get a discount of 100$ if I get the watch using my Macy’s credit card. Since I didn’t have a Macy’s credit card they said I can apply for one immediately and I will get the discount. They got me to apply but since their server was down they said I can’t get the credit card now. They said they will give me Macy’s money instead which I can use anytime I want. I got the 100$ Macy’s card and because it was 100$ less I bought the 1300$ watch. The Macy’s money was an open ended coupon which I can use anytime and hence they didn’t put any issue date on the card. So legally it was a money I could use anytime.

Today I went to Macy. They told me that they no longer take the Macy’s money. I told them they can’t do it without giving me any warning that they are withdrawing all Macy’s money. That is illegal as their document says that the card is valid till 2 months of the issue date on the card and since there was no date on the card I was well within the right to use it when I want and I used it after 3 months. They very rudely told me that they can’t honor the card and I stand to lose the money and they can’t do anything about it. You can’t trust Macy’s this way if they withdraw their gift cards/coupons without any warning and leave their customers stranded. Can I take any legal action against them? It’s not about the money which is not that much but the fact that I feel cheated makes me really annoyed and I don’t want them to cheat any of their other customers.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I am a resident of Spain and was pleased to see from Macy's website that they advertise shipping to 100 countries. However my experience of trying to actually order goods for delivery to Spain was completely unsuccessful. Twice I placed orders and was advised that they had been cancelled by the company due to "data transfer errors". They should not advertise this facility if their system is not fit for purpose.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Getting to customer service to ask where my Macy's Express was nearly impossible. If you click the number 0 to get to customer service the response I get is "We did not understand your selection"... On the phone I got a person who spoke broken English. She couldn't hear me. Sounded like I was calling a country far far away. In background sounded like a crowded call center. I had 1 question to ask, "Where is my new credit card I got from Macy's?" It took nearly 20 minutes navigating very bad phone system. Another 10 minutes on hold waiting. After their system told me customer service option is not available even it does prompt you to press 0. As soon as I pay my account I will close it. Macy's you are horrible!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Back in October I bought mattress from Macy's on a 12 month promotion no interest, and for the last 3 months they have been charging me interests every month and I have called several times and even went down to Macy's store to clear this out and nothing happened, just a run around and a blame game, but I have been charged 100 dollars in interests and this has gone nowhere.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I have learned the hard way that if you want to receive your packages from Macy's within a relatively short period of time you should pay for the express shipping. Free shipping in my experience can take up to 2 weeks for delivery of your entire package. If you need an item it is far better to pay for express shipping or pick it up at a Macy's location than to wait. They shipped my package via UPS but then transferred it to USPS and therein lies the problem. The US Postal Service tends to deliver very slowly and tracking is difficult. Do yourself a favor and pay for express shipping or pay in time wasted.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Macy’s is a store where I really like to buy, has a lot of variety of articles and very good quality. I find the best brands of clothes, perfumes, cosmetics, fascinates me!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Over the past years I have to order online because items are not available in store or stores are out of business. There were times where items were missing. This time I ordered some 14K earrings. They were delivered by UPS. Package was damaged and earrings were not in box. I contacted Macy's. They said no refunds or reship because of past refunds and price adjustments. I reminded them box was opened and damaged. I think I will shop elsewhere. Still waiting for Macy's to credit my account. They will send someone to inspect box that was damaged. I will not pay for something that was not received. I pay my bill before they're due and I am a platinum member. I will shop elsewhere. Quality of items are very poor not like the old Macy's. No wonder why stores are closing.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I bought 3 items during the Thanksgiving sale on rebate. I have applied for Macy's rebate before and even this time, I was very careful and made sure I submitted all the relevant documents for rebate. I received an email stating that I'm missing a document on my rebate and they provided me with a tracking number. Unfortunately, the tracking website doesn't provide any useful information for submitting the so called missing document. The phone number with Macy's rebate has automated message and you cannot reach a customer service rep to get the relevant details. Essentially this is such a scam!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

My experience was extremely pleasant when returning the mattress that was defective for the 3rd time. But to get the check processed and returned has been a complete nightmare! Bad run around and not knowing why the check was never processed and released after 3 weeks of the returned item was totally acceptable! And still waiting for the $740 check to be released. Very unprofessional of Macy’s and their credit department to hold someone’s funds for that long! I will never ever purchase a mattress or any furniture and will never recommend it to family or friends. I will post on all social media the disappointment that came from Macy’s customer service credit department.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Never received item. Called several times. Call center is Asian people who speak broken English. Received an email they canceled my order as of Dec 27th. They claimed they emailed me before they canceled the order. I spoke to them twice over the phone about this. They never mentioned the email. They claim the item is on back order. When you order the item online it says available. My experience from Macy's was poor at best. I will not be shopping with them any further.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We saw a nice looking living room leather chair set consisting of a recliner, chair and couch. We made contact with Beatriz ** furniture sales representative who explained we had to order the items and wait for delivery. Then it was discovered the chair was the last available anywhere since the new line for whatever reason was not going to offer the single chair any longer. Since we wanted a set of three we wanted the chair on display. After several days and phone calls the store finally agreed to sell the chair aka floor model to us for the discounted price of $400.00. We were told that all sales were final so make sure we really wanted it. We inspected it closely as we could in the store and found the front two legs to be loose. We were reminded this was the last chair so we could not order a different one. Beatriz checked with an employee that moves furniture around and he said he could fix the loose legs.

We went back to the store and found that the legs were tight and no longer loose. We then went through with the purchase and brought the chair home ourselves. A few days later we discovered the legs were loose again. The two of us were the only two to even sit in the chair and only on a few occasions. Meanwhile, the other two items were delivered. The so called White Glove delivery is a joke because they didn't follow half of the check list items. Be it that, that is not the main issue. The delivery guys acknowledged that the couch had damaged legs and noted on the delivery ticket. We then contacted the store and they sent a third party furniture repair out to inspect. This man agreed the couch had issues and we were told they would be repaired. We had him look at the loose legs on the chair and he said a long Allen wrench was required to tighten the legs.

Upon closer look with a flashlight he discovered the screws on each of the front legs we stripped. Because of this they cannot be turned to tighten. It is not known if the store employee did this when he tried to repair the legs or if it was a manufacturing defect in a chair made in China and retails for $1000.00. I then contacted the Macy's furniture manager at the store where we made the purchase. I explained the situation and was told all sales are final on as is floor models. We did not know the item was as is. We thought we were purchasing an expensive chair that simply had loose legs that needed tightening. Instead we purchased a defective chair that the store most likely knew was defective. The store manager said that there was nothing they could do except order a replacement for additional cost which means I would pay for two chairs and have one defective. I said that was not acceptable.

We were misled into thinking the chair was repaired and did not expect it to fail immediately after purchase. I would never purchase furniture or anything from Macy's again. I have made thousands of dollars of purchases over the years but now I will spend the rest of my life telling my story to others so they don't fall prey to Macy's poor customer service and greedy operations. Obviously, customer satisfaction takes a back seat to company profits.

As for the chair I purchased that is defective and Macy's won't help with, I have an estimate to for $200.00 to repair from a third party. I think my time and money may be better spent if I leave the chair at the mall entrance to Macy's with a sign on it. I will likely go to small claims court just to drag the employees into court to explain their reasoning of the policy. I will also dispute the purchase with the credit card company. I would find it hard to believe that the consumer laws in the US allow big retailers to sell defective items and not disclose such defect or claim it was repaired and that not being the case. BTW, we have since discovered that you can still order the chair, even 10 of them online so apparently that was another untruth told by the store.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Credit service experience was horrible. I pay the bills for my family. I opened an AX account based on a recommendation from a store associate when making a purchase. Sounded like a great idea. Took two hours to get thru the transaction because of credit services and their attempts to verify that I was me. Finally get a store manager and we get it done. I get the bill. I pay the entire amount.

Three days after the due date the collection group calls stating I am overdue. I look and the e-payment processed thru my bank on the correct date. I call. Turns out I accidentally paid the amount to an old Macy's account my wife had. I gave all the information to the account rep. Agent says that it was in my wife's account but is in transition to the new account. Another collection call. I call back. (Keep in mind that the call center is understaffed and every time I call I get to wait 10 to 15 minutes on hold and when I do get someone they sound like they are brand new and don't have a clue what they are doing). Agent can't find the payment and tells me the first agent did not do what was necessary to fix the issue. This agent can't find the payment. I ask to speak to a manager.

After waiting on hold for 30 minutes (agent tells me there is a long queue for the supervisors), the agent tells me they can't help. Tell me I have to go to my bank and get a transaction record (with the same information on it that I can see online and am trying to give them) and FAX it to them. During this little fiasco they keep calling me about the overdue payment. I went to the bank and got the info. Got a letter from Macy's telling me they have transferred the money.

Called again today to check and the card still has the same balance (plus interest and late fee). So I wait for 15 minutes to talk to someone. The agent offers to transfer me to payment services but comes back and says due to high volume they are not taking calls. Tells me that the payment is in process of moving to the old account to my wife's newer account. At that point it will be transferred to the new AX account in my name. It will take at least 10 days for this to happen because of the amount of the payment. I have at least 4 hours invested in trying to correct what should be a simple fix. What a horrible experience and Macy's lost a customer for life. One that has shopped at Macy's stores for at least 15 years. And will make it a point to share the horrible experience with everyone I can find to talk to.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Placed an order online on Dec. 10th. Received a confirmation and notified my order has shipped on Dec. 13th. I tracked my package daily as this was a Christmas gift and wanted to make sure it arrived on time. First notification showed delivery on Dec 19th, then another notification showed delivery on Dec. 21st. Checked again today on Dec. 22nd. Delivery is not until Dec. 28th. So not happy!!! I will NEVER shop Macy's again.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I order a perfume gift box as a Christmas gift for my girlfriend on December 13th to be delivered to the store. I get an email that states the order is ready to pickup and it will be held at the store until December 20th. I arrive at the store on December 19th and package is not there. Customer service rep offers me a full refund. "You don't understand", I say, "this is a Christmas gift to my girlfriend. I don't want my money back. I want the package for my girlfriend's Christmas gift." So she cancels my order and reorders the same thing to be expedited to my home address at no additional cost.

She promises me that package will arrive December 21st. I get an email from UPS stating that package just received and will be shipped out on December 22nd. Estimated arrival is December 26th!!! Shame on you Macy's (Reno, Nevada store)!!! You lose my Christmas gift to my girlfriend, promise me another to be expedited and now you helped to spoil my holiday season. I have been a loyal shopper and Macy's credit card holder for years. Not sure if I will be able to shop at this or any Macy's ever again. They failed to keep their promises and are doing nothing to right this wrong! "BELIEVE?" NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I ordered from Macy’s two fragrances on October 18 and I choose free delivery because they will delivery for 2-3 business days, and my order will be shipped separate. Yesterday I got one order and checked on UPS tracking for second one. Delivery will be on December 22 but today show me on December 26. I called customer service and ask what happened because this is Christmas gift and will be late, after I spoke to three different customer service members and supervisor their response was same they cannot do anything and my order will be on 26, they told me is not true that order should be delivered for 2-3 days (it is 5-7). Even I told them if that is true then I never choose free delivery and I will have my order on time, but nothing from them to solve this issue. Only problem maybe is that my order is new fragrance but still I think they should do something so I hope you can do something for all customers with problem, thank you???

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Over the last 2 months I have been dealing with the worst customer service I've ever received in life with Macys.com. I made a one time purchase, opened a Macy's credit card for the 20% discount I would receive. I received the wrong items, sent them back, received the wrongs items again, sent them back, received the wrong items AGAIN. In the meantime, silly me, I paid the Macy's credit card in full. Then after the last items sent were wrong yet again, I called them and they gave me a shipping label as I wanted to return them all. I shipped them all back and they refuse to credit me. SO WRONG. I've been on the phone with them getting shuffled around for the last time. They refuse to credit my account for the items I returned.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I ordered a Michael Kors bag during the Black Friday sales. I live in Australia. I waited 15 days for the bag to arrive. When it arrived and I opened it, I found that it had a mark right at the front of the bag. It wasn't damaged during transportation, there was no damage to the packaging. Macy's simply had one defective bag and decided to ship it all the way to Australia, so that to make it nearly impossible to return. Well done. Thanks for ruining my Christmas Macy's.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I am extremely disappointed with my return/exchange experience today. My daughter and I visited the store today with the intention of returning four dresses purchased on November 4th. I explained to the Customer Service Associate, the following: I had misplaced the original receipt. Two of the dresses were purchased without a price tag (a printout return receipt was provided at time of purchase). I provided the associate with a hard copy of the statement. I, also, offered my platinum card to search the purchased items.

The associate response: "No, I do not need your card. Show me where to find the dresses, without a price tag because I cannot scan a dress without it". The associate had me walked through the dresses section to find similar dresses. I have been a customer of Macy's for a long time and I was not aware that customers were asked to walk the store to find similar items in order to process a return.

After walking the store with the associate without results--the associate returned to the counter and asked my daughter to call me to return to the counter. The associate then proceeded to informed me that due to the fact that the purchased items were "Last Call" the 30-day period had been expired. And of course, I was not aware of the policy; otherwise, I would have either return the items during the allowable time rather than wasting my time driving to the store, dealing with heavy traffic during this time of the year, waiting on line, and walking the store to find similar items. I requested to speak with the manager, whom addressed me with short answers. I requested to be provided in written the 30-day period policy. I was provided me with a blank receipt to read. Certainty, there was nothing magical about my visit today.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

Made a purchase on Black Friday, got a email the next day telling me the order didn't go through. Called customer service for details. Gave them my order number, address, etc., but refused to continue the verification process unless they could meet me halfway. They refused, and would not tell me why my order didn't go through, so I hung up and repurchased my item. The next day, I found out my 1st order actually shipped even though I was told it didn't go through, AND I was charged shipping, which had shown as free during that checkout. I called CS back, was told that in order to get refunded for my duplicate order, I would have to return the item to the store.

I was also told that my credit card would be refunded for the shipping. I was finished with customer service at that point and time and waited until the next day to email them. This time I was told that they COULD stop the 2nd shipment and that my refund for the shipping that I was erroneously charged would be sent as a gift card. Needless to say, I went back and forth several times with customer service, and they never offered any form of compensation or additional customer service, and it just kept getting worse and worse. Terrible service for this level of company.

Macy's Company Information

www.macys.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use