Macy's

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I paid for expedited shipping on order placed around 12 noon on 4/26 and was supposed to receive within 2-3 days. I called on the 29th and was told, and promised according to the rep's records, that I would have the package on Monday. However, the Macy's email link said May 4, 8 days later, UPS site said no info available, but rep was adamant that I would receive by May 1. The rep then stated he would credit back the shipping charges and to remember that when I responded to the survey. It was about his service, not the shipping issue. Red flag... I called UPS Monday May 1 and was told they had no package but did see that a manifest to a 3rd party was processed only today, May 1. 6 days to process and no update from Macy's that there was an issue.

Horrible experience with the Washington, DC staff. They ignored the elevator alarm ringing when me, my wife and our 17-month old baby were stuck in it for 15 minutes. Staff working in the Bags Dept. outside the elevator turned a deaf ear to it. Luckily a passing by customer heard us banging on the door and helped us out. Security staff working on the same floor also ignored the alarm and instead of apologizing for their mistake advices us to dial 911 if there was an emergency with us. How stupid can they be. Manager does not take responsibility of what happened and instead asks to complain to Macy's head office. Surely these guys don't take their jobs seriously and don't know what customer service actually means.

I have about 10 different credit cards and this is by far the worst. I am trying to be objective but Macy's is making it very hard. Received an email this morning with a pending balance although I haven't used the card in months. Upon login, I am being asked to ADD my credit card as if I had never used it. A balance for interest of USD 2.00 appeared online. I called technical support and was assured I did not owe anything. strange. Also, upon logging in, another credit card number appears on the screen. I questioned this but was not given a good explanation but rather asked to log out and log in after about 5 minutes.

I believe it has to do with the fact that there is a card number, and an ACCOUNT number, and although it would be great if they were the same, they are not, but no one was able to explain this to me. I have been with them for many years and during these years, had to change cards and accounts constantly for some reason. My credit score is excellent, yet I have an unbelievable credit line of USD 1300 to go nuts on shopping at Macy's. NOT.

I signed up for Thanks for Sharing and have not received my gift card. I contacted customer service and they told me not to worry it will be mailed to me in April. I went to the store to buy something and the saleslady told me the customer service gift card has been mailed already. People have already used their gift card so I emailed customer service and they practically told me they have no access to my acct and cannot help me. The email said I should go back to the store coz they can assist me when the saleslady in store told me they have no access to that so I would need to call customer service.

This is so much trouble for me. They advertise and advertise all their promotions and don't care if consumers actually get the promo. I will never sign up for that again or do their other promos like earn 10$ for every 50$ spent coz I didn't get that either. And they don't care. The kinky thing works is coupons on % off when you shop. Anything that you are suppose to get in a later date does not come and they won't back it up.

First of all it's such a great feeling when you meet with such a great mannered staff, really helpful and they save no effort in order to make customers very happy not only to go ahead and purchase from Macy's but also feel them as a family. :) Therefore I would like to take this opportunity to thank some of the staff members specially (Mrs ** & Mrs **) working at first floor by CK department, as they always have a beautiful and wonderful way dealing with the customers, and I'm one of them who really was so lucky to meet such a reliable and dedicated staff like them. :)) And I noticed how kind and dedicated they are not only with me but with every customer pass by, either to pay at register or to ask about something.

OMG. Those two staff members specially save no effort to help and help and always smile and cheerful. Last but not least I would take this chance to thank Macy's department. They hire such a wonderful people like Mrs **. :)) And I always enjoy shopping there and feel like I'm a family with that warm respectful sensation. :)))

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?

I clearly remember when shopping over the Nov/Dec 2016 holiday time that a store clerk mentioned a "reward". If I gave $25 I would receive a coupon for $25 in January (what I don't remember but think it was for $25 off purchases either applied on a one-time purchase or until the benefit was reached). I filled out a "donation" form at the register. I did not receive a coupon nor anything in the mail other than the normal shopping discounts. When I called about a billing question, and explained this other promotion I did not receive after paying them $25!! I was told that I was incorrectly told something by the store clerk. (Possibly a temporary clerk for the holiday?) But I am angry that I paid an extra $25 over and above my purchase!!!

Customer service for the Macy's credit card is terrible!!! I cannot believe the tone and aggravation they use to speak to you with about asking questions about your account. Managers are absolutely despicable, it's demoralizing and work so much more differently than other store credit card companies.

We received a package from Macy's that contained a packing slip with the correct items on it, but someone else's contents. We ordered wine glasses and got china. It took me nearly an hour on the phone with a Macy's representative to work through a solution; since Macy's wanted me to print a return label and BRING the heavy box to a local UPS store. I negotiated for a UPS pickup, and that's what I did. Meanwhile, the wine glasses I ordered to use on Easter won't be here in time, and Macy's offered no accommodation or help in getting something more quickly. I am amazed at the lack of customer-friendly policies, since we have normally spent a significant amount of money each year at Macy's. I guess I'll be looking elsewhere for future purchases.

Purchased a recliner for $647.04 at the Roseville, MN Home Store. Since Macy does not allow customers to pick up the item themselves, I had to pay a $65 delivery fee. Could not recline the chair. Within the required 3 day return policy I contacted Macy and told them I would like to return it. They had a tech come out to see if he could loosen the chair so it would recline easier. I still could not do it with ease. Had the chair picked up within the week to return it.

At the time of purchase, I didn't understand there would be a restocking fee and I would not get the delivery fee back. I see the salesperson did star the restocking fee paragraph, but we did not discuss it in length, therefore, I did not comprehend what was to happen. I received $496.55 back. I have to pay $150.49 and I have no chair. After much discussion with three customer service reps, I did get them to waive the pickup fee. I have learned to be aware of restocking fees when purchasing furniture. Also, I will not shop at Macy's home store again.

I have had a Macy's credit card virtually unused and good standing for 11 years. I went to make a purchase roughly one to two years ago and was told that my card deactivated likely due to non-use. No problem, associate tells me "I can reactivate your existing card." I proceeded to make a purchase and years later I find two Macy's cards on my credit report. I have since reported this to Macy's but have had no response. My BBB complaint is prepared and I'm also preparing for legal action in the event of my credit report has been affected adversely in the slightest way. Be careful at Macy's... It may have been a rogue associate that did this but Macy's is still responsible.

I was locked out of my online account. After numerous calls and waiting times I finally got through to someone in tech support. Who explained that the reason my account was locked was that I hadn't changed my password in 3 months!!?? I have to change my password every 3 months? With no requests or reminders about this? The woman told me she would send me an email within the hour to unlock/reset my password. The email never came. When I called back and complained the rep said she would send me a courtesy coupon... never came! I am now on hold AGAIN waiting for tech support. Customer service is horrendous!

Hello I had a horrible experience with a counterfeit fragrance that was said to been shipped from one of your warehouses. Customer service has continually lied to me and is very very rude. I had a very bad contact dermatitis reaction to a fake Dolce & Gabbana light blue. I have purchased this product from your dept stores for many years however this gift set was not available at any Macy's near me. At first I thought they had changed to product packaging but, on further investigation I confirmed that the product packaging has never changed. I have begged customer service to help me, twice they said they forwarded my complaint to your "Executive Dept". Then they told me they couldn't contact anyone to help me that I had to do it myself. I would like to resolve this matter ASAP without any further unnecessary actions. Customer service is absolutely downright uninformed, rude and of no help.

Recently purchased $600+ worth of clothing online and in store. Entered Macy's promo code/shopping pass, online. When CC info was entered and submitted the promo code mysteriously was taken off on the next screen. Items rang up higher price. Immediately called customer service and told it would be adjusted. Fast forward a week later and decided to go shopping in store, shopping pass AGAIN not accepted. Called to complain yet again and as promised code was applied and they apologized for inconvenience.

Two weeks later I needed to return 4 of the items that didn't fit right. Mailed them and warehouse received items but no refund. Two weeks later I called 3 separate occasions only to be told, because I had the promo price adjusted that would be my credit... What!!! Explained to three reps, but each one says the same scripted message. Macy's has my returned items but will not refund me the $ for the items they now have. Unacceptable and unethical practices by Macy's!

I was charge on my inactive card by Macy's accounting time, instead of putting the charge as a credit it was put as a charge. Over 6 months ago, I keep calling regarding this matter. It takes one hour everytime on the phone then I get a response, "We are sorry this is happening but we are still working on it as we are backed up." Meanwhile interest and fees are charged on an inactive account and affecting my credit. I have been an Elite Customer for Macy's for over 15 years and this is how they manage my account... Maybe need to get them to Channel & so they have the time and hire enough reps to close those non-legit issues!

Horrible, horrible customer service. Called 3x for the correct item. They told me the second time the item was available in the correct size I had originally wanted & when I got my order it was in the wrong color!!! When I ordered it over the phone for the second time for the correct size and color the guy told me everything was good to go and available. Got it in the mail today when I ordered it a week ago. Wrong color. So I called in.

The lady was flustered with my reaction and confused on what happened. Passed me to the supervisor Darwin. Horrible, horrible customer service. How is it fair that the time of my order my item I wished for and size was available and when I called in because it's the wrong color he tells me it's no longer available? I ordered this the 17th of march. It is now the 23rd. My original order was the 12th. Got it in black but not the right size. Why do I lose out on an item I've been wanting and ordered 2x for nothing in return. Horrible experience ever!

Paid extra for 2-3 business day shipping on Sunday. Expected arrival by Wednesday which is 3 business days. However, they consider when the item is ready to be shipped from their warehouse to be the day of order and the 2-3 day count doesn't start until the item leaves their warehouse. What the heck is that???

I recently visited a new city, saw a Macy's and decided to check it out. While there I purchased a 10 pc set of All-Clad Stainless Steel Cookware. On the actual product someone had placed a store sticker with the price of $699 for the set of 10 while the sign in the store read $999 for the 10 pc set. One cashier told us that we could have the set for the $699 price so I decided to buy it with an additional stock pot. Another employee, possibly a supervisor, berated her in front of us for allowing us to purchase it at the "sale price". She said that was a pre-buy and we should not be able to get it for that price. On the way home, I stopped at my local Macy's to see if they had other pieces I could add to my new set.

I purchased an additional saucepan and a 12" fry pan that was not part of the 10 pc set. After I got home I looked up the set online so that I could see if there was more I could add. Online I saw that the set was indeed $699 and ALL the other pans were also all on sale. I was charged full price at my local Macy's! I went back to Macy's, print out in hand and was refunded my overcharge. I don't think I should have to bring in an advertised price to get an item in the store for that price. Is their communication that bad? I am not happy about the service I received in both locations.

Been a Macy's card holder for about 20 years and I've always received a monthly statement. Somehow Macy's stopped sending them to me and I didn't' realize until a credit agency mailed me a letter to negotiate a settlement for my account. I had charged $55.06 in Sept of 2016 and with the fees the bill was now $194.06. I spoke to three different people (all they way up to corporate) and the best they could do was remove two fees and drop the total to $120. Macy's takes no responsibility for ensuring that your statement is mailed and went so far as to say the statement is only a "courtesy reminder" as you should know you owe the money. If you don't pay the bill they promise to ruin your credit and put you in collections.

The most interesting thing is that once I paid the $120 I got three pieces of mail from Macy's the following week. It's amazing how they can get the mail to me now but can't explain 5 months of no mail??? My suggestion is to call the corp assistant as she claims she gets very few complaints of this sort, yet the internet is riddled with tons of complaints of this nature. Her name is Kerri **. Her number is (888) 622-9793 ext ** - perhaps if corporate is more aware they might actually do something to rectify the issue. For now it seems like a scam to me, so I will never step foot in a Macy's store ever again.

When I purchased my rug, the salesman told me about getting the Worry No More plan to protect against anything that damage the rug and would cover up to 7 years. He also suggest I purchase the padding which I did after he showed me how soft the extra cushion felt. As soon as I got the rug, the shag was coming off but I thought it was the left over shags coming off since it was new. I decided to give it about a month thinking I have 7 years with the Worry No More Plan I purchased. But I have a very huge and heavy sectional couch sitting in it. Slowly the shags were coming off and I was very busy and thought if I have 7 years that covers anything damage to the rug so I decided to put it off since I'm very busy anyways.

Finally I decided to give Macy's a call. They told me I was out of manufacture warranty and I told them I had the Worry No More Plan. I spoke to someone at Macy's and I was told that my protection plan doesn't cover for shags. And the manufacturer warranty was only for 1 year. I explained that the salesman lie to me saying it'll cover everything. I didn't realized that I had purchased my rug, pad and Worry no More Plan just passed the 1 year. Since the salesman no longer works there, they said there's nothing they can do. If I had known that my Worry No More Plan only covers stains, I would of course called within 1 year since my rug was defective. The salesman lied to me and now he's gone.

I spoke to Azi and her boss Jaime (lady) and they kept saying they'll call me back which they never did. When I spoke to Jaime, she told me the best she can do is give me back my warranty money since I never used it. Then I never heard back from them. A few months passed by and Azi and other salespeople told me that the sales manager will call me back. My younger kids fell several times including my baby and got scrapes from the rug and the cheap padding that was so hard.

I called back because I have enough of this defective rug and hard padding (obviously not the same padding the salesman demonstrated when I purchased it). I was trying to at least get my money back from Worry No More Plan since Jaime (she) said I can get back and trying to return the padding since it's not the soft cushion padding I purchased. Azi and the other salespeople said their boss will call me back. Again, nothing and refuses to give me the contact information. I don't know what else to do. I was lie to.

I thought Macy's sale high quality rugs and was honest about their products. But I purchased a defective rug with shags falling off so much, it's going bare and my padding is as hard as a cement floor since my babies are getting scrapes from the fall or just them crawling on it. I hate this rug and the padding. I hate their horrible services which they lied about to get people to purchased. Because of them ignoring my needs and being lied to, I'm afraid to purchased anything from Macy's. They obviously don't care about the customers or they would at least get this issue resolve. Now I'm losing so much and all they care about is making money by lying.

I opened my account just before Christmas and when trying to make my monthly payments I have been told that they will not accept credit/debit card payments over the phone or online but they did accept it for the first payment as a courtesy to me but they want my checking account information to put in their system. I do not have checks only a debit card. So I am going to travel 40 miles to the store where they do accept debit card payments and pay off my account and cancel my account and never buy from them again.

I have placed ten phone calls to Macy's in Traverse City Michigan to refund a credit card purchase at Christmas. A $250 purchase that was partially shipped where I received $65 worth of product. I have talked with 3 different people and no one can even retrieve the transaction. Verbally they keep saying they realize the error but no correction. Avoid this store for anything you do not walk out with and you are sure a return is not necessary. Poorly run. Staff turnover. Go elsewhere.

For 4 months I have been trying to access my credit card information under my account information. I login into Macy's and spend money in a heart beat. But when I want to see what I owe Macy's or when a payment is due I am blocked. I call Macy's customer service line... explain my problem. At this time I am told Macy's is aware of the problem and is working in it. This is a standard answer for a large company who wants to keep customers happy. It is not working... just fix the problems with your IT department. Macy's pushes everyone to go electronic then they inhibit you from seeing any information on what you may owe. I will pay off this account and leave this as a lesson learned.

Macy's protection plan thru http://worrynomore.com/ is the worst product I have ever purchased. We started our claim process in October 2016. After multiple calls with Macy's Worry No More we still have not gotten any resolution. They have sent out a technician in November to view the furniture and take pictures. This company is again asking for us to take pictures and send it to them. Every time we call the story changes and the status of our claim is somehow lost. Our last call today 1-800-916-6229, was with a Supervisor name Monica that was not only rude but had no reasonable solutions. DO NOT BUY THIS PROTECTION PLAN!! It is a waste of time and money!!!

Macy's have very shady way to handle credit cards with their online shop -- unlike any other online shop (including Amazon), they accept your card, place a reserve to your card, but do not charge your card. After some period, they try to charge your card again, but many banks simply deny the double payment due security. So, receiving a message from Macy's -- "Your purchase could not be processed, and request to call to Customer Service" -- where you redo you order and your card is verified on phone. And the same happens after 24 hrs again -- canceled. Reason is simple -- Macy's cannot take foreign cards or accept PayPal payment from foreign accounts, as their system do not allow foreign addresses. Welcome to 20th century Macy's! My money goes to competitors, where my money is welcome & Customer Service at least can say, "Sorry"!

I was in the store this morning 2/18/17. No salesperson was at the costume jewelry counter. I had a question regarding a pair of earrings costing $22.00. I wanted to ask if I could try on one of the earrings. As I was holding the card that held the rather big earrings a woman approached the counter next to me. I moved. She moved. I walked to the left. She came around the right. It was obvious to me she was security and we were the only two people in the small area of Yorktown Heights NY store. She wore all black. The jacket had a logo name in white and she had a cell phone ear attachment in black that was huge.

She made me feel so uncomfortable that I approached her and asked her "Do you know if trying on earrings is allowed?" She said, "No go over to the cosmetic counter and ask them." What is Macy's coming to when a customer is subjected to obvious stalking? I know Macy's is not doing well for sure if they hire a security company like this... PS. I left the store buying nothing!

I ordered some pajama pants along with a few other things. I received my order but not one of the pajamas. I tracked the rider and it was in a different state. I assumed it was delivered separately and waited a few more days. After a week, I emailed the customer service and they told me that I never ordered the pajama pants and asked me what pajamas I think I ordered. I had to send a screenshot TO them showing I paid for the pajama pants. Then they told me I had the wrong address and I asked them why the other items in the same order arrived though. Then they told me that they never had those pants stocked on their website and I had to prove that too. Ugh. Then they offered a refund and I said sure. They refunded me two different times and, two months later, sent me an email saying the pajama pants I ordered just made it back to their facility and a return will be processed. Do they even know what they're doing?

Today I went into Macy's to pickup an order I placed online. The process was confusing as the email asked that I come to the Misses Department. One sales representative said Misses was a large section and I was confused as to how or where the item ordered was to be picked up. Then the same sales rep. told me to go over to online pickup. I was asked for my id and presented it to the rep. in online pickup. I then closed my ladies wallet after a few minutes. Then the rep asked to me to show it again and I told him "I just showed you my id." I could not understand why he wanted it twice. Then he said there was something he needed to enter. I believe as others have stated that Macy's is very racist in regards to African American customers.

One thing I do not understand is why white customers spend so much money at Macy's. I do not see the hype or reason to buy overpriced merchandise. I myself only shop at Macy's when something is needed and only on sale days. Why would I pay $200 for something Macy's is going to offer you later for half that on sales days? I just do not get it.

IF I can actually get to my account page (without Safari telling me that Macy's dropped contact) and I request a return label, then again the Safari drops the website. Stating too much action on the server. AND if you actually try to contact a live person (in India) heaven help you. I was ACTUALLY TALKING to a representative and she told me that she could no longer talk with me because she was having technical difficulties due to high volume. I tried to push her saying "But not difficulty now that I am taking to you," and she went into the mantra.

I just spent 30 or more minutes on the phone. On my online account they have one item that does not go into my cart. All other Macy's items go into my cart. I only have one other item in there. All I wanted was someone to put this item into my cart or find out if it was out of stock even though it says it's in stock. When I press add it just keeps cycling. The first person at the sales dept kept ignoring me and saying okay what is your credit card number. I said I didn't want to purchase it on the phone, just put this item in my cart. Then she would ignore me again and say "So if you just give me your card number..." I told her I had used Firefox and Chrome & everything else worked fine except this one item. She then said to check my internet connection. I said my internet is fine it is this one item. She said, "You probably have too many items in your cart." I told her I had 1 item. So finally (but her tone was super rude) she sent me to tech support. Hahaha.

The woman there (seriously sounded like the same one, it seriously might have been) didn't ask for my account, or the item number and said she was not able to help me with this and would send me back to Macys.com. I said I didn't understand, was that person a tech support? She said "It is Macys.com. They can help you." So I get sent back (though it sounds like same person again) and now being asked for the item number. She then said she put it in my cart. So I refreshed everything and it was still not in my cart. She told me AGAIN to delete all history and close everything again. It was not in my cart. Then she said, "Give me your credit card." I said, "Wait are you tech support?" She said, "No just customer service." I think she just LIED about putting it in my cart. It's still not in there.

She supposedly put me back 2nd time to tech support. Sounds like same woman. And funnily says her name is the same as mine. And said she could put the item in her own cart. After putting me on hold. You could hear her snacking also. Probably laughing as well. Probably the same exact person. I finally gave up. I will NEVER purchase anything from them again. Seriously sick people working on customer support who don't give a crap, treat people disrespectfully but say "Ma'am" a lot, ignore what you are saying, talk over you. It's like talking to a 7th-grade girl who bullies other teens. That's how it felt. I noticed their number is 1800buymacy. Not very subtle huh. Nope. Done. I was in a good mood before that. I'm certain it was someone who didn't want to work, wanted to just eat chips and was also just messing with customers for fun. Sociopath behavior.

Since July 2016 (it is now February 2017), Macy's website cannot connect to the bill-pay at their bank (Citibank). To make matters even worse, Macy's states that they have sent paper statements, but the paper statements never arrive. Macy's is flirting with extinction - more than one person I know has shut down their Macy's account and turned in the card back to Macy's. There should be a way for Macy's to rectify this website error of not being able to connect to Citibank and thus not being able to pay online. I would like the problem fixed.

Macy's Company Profile