Macy's

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I ordered e-gift card for my son. Went thru no problem. Several hours later I get email that order cancelled and to call this number. I called the number and they said the order didn't go through even though I had email confirmation. I checked PayPal and it said Macy's cancelled the order. The woman at Macy's made me go to the website, order the card again so she could ok it. I then looked at PayPal and could see it and the e-card was sent to my son. My ex husband tried to do the same thing and it was cancelled twice. Done with the Macy's forever.

I purchased a warranty. I received literature. Nowhere did it tell me that I had 90 days after expiration to make my claim to get the money back. I called and was told on a plan that old they didn't state that but it states it on their website. I had no need to go to their website because I had no claim.

They so quick to take your money out your bank card but they fail to mention to you they don't credit it back the delivery fee nor do they credit everything you return back all together nor do they credit back as fast as they take it out. Bought two bed toppers thinking it was with cushion end up being two sheets. Send them back only credited me back for one after they acknowledge they received 2 and still wait to be credit for the second one went through a mission about the delivery fee. Get hanged up on when it's time to get credit back for second one. And all their customer service reps having a speech speaking English problem, sound like they in Asia and learned to speak English from a book!!! Worse returning money processing ever. DON'T ORDER FROM MACY'S ONLINE. YOU BETTER OFF JUST GOING TO THE STORE.

These people at Macy's online ordering are just plain incompetent at online ordering. This is my third attempt in like 1 year to order something online at Macy's. Each time I have had just a difficult time ordering from them online. They are okay when you buy little BS stuff, but if you try to purchase a large ticket item they keep canceling the order for security reasons. I make large purchase online all the time like Amazon or Apple with no problem. Rest assured this will be the last time I attempt to order anything on Macy's website.

On a side note regarding this issue. It would be nice if they actually had operators working at their customer service department where English was their first language. IMO. The above information was based on my personal experience dealing with Macy's website and Macy's customer service department that they instructed me to call.

Ordered a gift for a bridal shower at the store. Told the salesperson three times it needed to be shipped to our home address (billing address). Received an email that it has shipped to the address for the register (bride). Called HQ and they assured us it would be rerouted. Would take longer, but would arrive at our address. Nope. Went to the bride. Embarrassing. So done.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?

We bought a leather sofa that we liked, I was told Macy's have great customer service and that buying there is a safe bet. We received the sofa and within 1 month of use the stitches started to tear on the side of the sofa, we bought extended warranty with the sofa and called them to repair it and they claimed that since we did not report it as soon as it happened they are not going to fix it. I must specify that the support was not Macy's themselves but a 3rd party that they sell its warranty plans - But hey you sell it. You need to take responsibility for it.

I called Macy's and asked them to cancel and refund me for the warranty + told them the story. They gave me partial refund as if I did got a warranty for the time that nothing happened. This is the worst experience I've ever had in the US. Not only that they did not took responsibility and offered to fix the sofa - Even give me a partial refund for the warranty that was unusable anyhow. I'll never ever buy anything from Macy's - The worst experience ever.

I recently ordered a set of towels on sale. Received towels but one towel was the wrong color. Called customer service. I was told to return the towel and a replacement towel would be mailed. I returned the towel and one month later was credited. I emailed customer service with supporting documents and requested a replacement towel at the sale price. I never received a response. This is the second time this type of "mistake" has occurred with Macy. Lousy customer service. I won't shop at Macy's again.

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 me and my husband had a terrible customer service experience at Macy's at Dulles Town Center Mall in Sterling, VA. After a while of shopping, I went to use the bathroom upstairs in the Women's department. As soon as I entered, the bathrooms were disgusting, had a strong stench, and messy. It was odd since there was an attendant inside that was supposed to be cleaning, yet the bathroom was still a disaster. I walked into the first stall, did my job and noticed there was absolutely no replenishment of toilet paper. Next, I continued to step into the next stall. Suddenly, I fell to the ground and had slid almost all the way under the stall. The floors were wet and I screamed for help and the attendant did absolutely nothing even though she was right outside the bathroom

While struggling to get up, I reached for my phone and called my husband for help. After, exiting the bathroom in pain we went to report the incident. The incident was reported to Gary of loss prevention Macy's. He seemed the least bit concerned or apologetic about the situation. We did not feel like the situation was taken seriously, when there were injuries present. He then proceeded very rudely to ask for my driver's license and details on the incident. After gathering the details, he said that someone from Customer Service would contact us in 2-3 days. He didn't offer any kind of medical help or anything. He was basically very rude and didn't possess common customer courtesy.

On Monday, May 15, 2017, Catherine, a customer service representative called me. She was very rude and inconsiderate about the situation, a reoccurring pattern with Macy's staff. She did not acknowledge that the bathrooms were supposed to be cleaned and replenished daily. Instead, she claimed the cleaning ladies will "get to it" when they can. I was offered $150 for the entire experience which is ridiculous. She also mentioned that she has used the toilet several times when there was no toilet paper and it was no big deal. She mentioned that Macy's will not pay for any of my medical bills or damages.

I asked to speak with upper management/Macy's legal counsel to report the incident to someone who could provide more information. She did not give me the information and argued with me instead. I asked her who her CEO was and she said she doesn't know who the CEO of Macy's is. I had been a loyal life long customer of Macy's until now. The customer service is absolutely terrible and the staff is unprofessional! I am extremely disappointed and will never shop at Macy's again!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Everything was resolved. KG helped me and I received a full refund. KG was the only representative who went the extra mile but she did and worked hard until everything was straightened out. I told her because of her I am a huge fan of Macy's and will tell everyone that Macy's is a great store, I love their merchandise and will continue to shop there.

Carol of St Thomas, Other on

Original Review

I don't live near a Macy's and had bought a black jumpsuit for $99 that I never wore and still had the tag "Macy's Tag" on it with the UPC and price. I mailed it to the returns warehouse that I have sent merchandise to before. I included my contact information but did not have a receipt although I shop at Macy's all the time (online) and have a Macy's credit card etc. I said I would take a gift card for whatever the current price is since I lost my receipt. I gave the tracking information for the package which was received by Macy's Warehouse in WV.

They are asking me for the UPC#. I didn't make a copy. I gave all the other info such as tracking number, item, price. They are saying that I am out of luck but can go to the store that I bought it at to return it. I don't have it they have it. Hello??? Is anybody home? Why can't Macy's do a return from Macy's? Why do they make returns so difficult. I love shopping at Macy's but the returns are a full time job and more than once I was never credited so NO MORE. NORDSTROM'S is great with shipping anywhere and makes returns easy. I am done! I am sick of throwing money away!

I recently visited the Lehigh Valley Mall Macy's. As I walked in to the Macy's i couldn't help myself but started looking for bargains in the Home Department, When i was approached by a young man that asked if i needed help finding anything, at first i said no but as he walked away i asked if an item that I was interested in would take a coupon. This young men started working with me from that point on, taking his time to explain and answer all my questions. By the time i was done shopping I was offer to have my items carried out because I had so much and so many items. I am sometimes hesitant to shop and ask for help, but this young man was courteous, patient, knowledgeable, and best of all did not pressure me to buy anything. This was one of my best shopping experience because of the exceptional customer service and professionalism from this young man. I would go back and shop with him again.

I'm dealing with a week long hassle of being overcharged for sale items, having five different orders cancelled by Macy's (yes they cancelled with no notice or a call) because they can't seem to understand that my address changed, and about 5 hours on the phone with robotic morons in some country that sounds like it is under water with accents that are very difficult to understand. Now I have received an email from them saying I must contact them AGAIN about my order. All of this when I have already received packages from Macy's at this address. I am now on hold for 20 mins. I WILL NEVER TRUST MACY'S AGAIN!

I have been shopping at Macy's since it changed names! I MISS RICH'S! What a shame... This store is so outdated. I can tell Macy's is losing customers! And you read about Macy's and the other stores as well! What is going on? You do not carry any good brands anymore / employees just standing around, no customers! It needs a makeover! Carpets are soiled and stained. Needs a complete overhaul!... Needs a fresh coat of paint! Dressing room are nasty. No chairs to sit in. Not bright, very dull. No life in it!

I used to work there during my college years and I can remember it being soo busy! I used to have a relative that worked in women's sportswear. She quit working there! NO MOTIVATION IN THE STORE! I go in there and it is dead! Gosh, Macy's used to have a big name! Where did it go? We really do not have a mall except where Macy's is... At Haywood Mall in Greenville, S.C. Maybe if some things changed in there it might be a better shopping experience! NOW the hours are changing! I think all the store managers need to get together with the CEO or something. It is going downhill! FAST!

Macy's is a terrible company. I will never shop there again and will continue to speak out against them in any available channel. I have been a Macy's credit card holder for 10 years. Last year, I paid double my bill to cover the nominal minimum balance payment. Each time I have paid double my bill, it will make my next minimum payment $0. Now, if Macy's had ALERTED me that I had a bill due, I would have promptly paid it. Macy's never mailed me a bill and I did not receive an email. Macy's tried to respond in my BBB complaint that it had an email on file that is not my email.

They will not remove the past due from my credit report even though I was never alerted to having a bill due. They are scammers, and this is how they treat customers of 10 years! Not to mention, when you pay off your bill, the interest will carry over to the next cycle, so you may end up in a position like me. Macy's won't contact you, their online bill system is completely unusable and then they will send you to collections and hit your credit report. If you are late on a payment, you should receive communication before being sent to collections! That is completely unacceptable! Macy's is the WORST.

I been a Macy's customer for years, used to be my favorite place to shop until couple of months ago because of the way that I feel, I'm aggravated and here is why. On Sep 10, 2016 I bought the Thanks for Sharing something that you guys run every year, I bought it in 2015 too and I think it was worth it. On Feb 7, 2017 I called customer service because I haven't receive my Thanks for Sharing gift card, and the person who picked up the phone said that they were still mailing them out, he even told me according to him how much I was getting.

A month went by and I still didn't get my card, I called them. The person on the phone told me that "I NEVER BOUGH IT". "Are you serious?" Thanks God that I have all my receipt email to me, yes I had to go thru all my Macy's receipt which are A LOT. I called them back and gave them the date of when I pay for this and they found it. According to this person he put a note in the computer that they were going to do and audit to find out how much money am supposed to get back and that they were going to send me a notice.

April 21st I still haven't received anything. I called them again; yes this is my 4 phone call regarding this issue. By the way at this time I'm super aggravated because this entire BS and the run around. I had to explain myself again to this other person. She looked in the notes and there was nothing written regarding my issue, she made a note and said that she was going to speak to her supervisor about what was going on she was really nice. She said she was going to call me back on Monday 4/24. She didn't.

On April 25th I called to make sure they were working on it and I guess they are finally working on this because the person who picked up told me about the notes. I'm really upset with Macy's Phone customer service, they shouldn't be telling people that they are going to do something and then just don't do it. I been a loyal customer for many years, always pay my bill on time. Never had any problems before until now, am even thinking about closing my account because of this. I was waiting for my gift card back in Feb because I wanted to use it during the friends and family. Now is April they are having another friends and family. I guess I will not be taking advantage because I don't have my gift card.

I wish Macy's would records all the conversations when we call customer service and they would see how bad their phone customer service is. I wanted to give corporate a phone call but didn't find a number online. Next time am at a Macy's store I'll make sure I speak with a manager to get more info on who to contact to for complains. Hopefully someone read this and just don't cross theirs arms.

MACY'S REALLY MESSED UP BIG TIME. I ordered my daughter's prom dress after the store didn't have her size. Picked it up from the UPS store and in the box was a BOX. NO DRESS. I called Macy's who then told me that the dress could not be located and there were no more in her size. REALLY. I am beyond pissed off. My daughter's prom is on May 20. FIX THIS NOW.

I paid for expedited shipping on order placed around 12 noon on 4/26 and was supposed to receive within 2-3 days. I called on the 29th and was told, and promised according to the rep's records, that I would have the package on Monday. However, the Macy's email link said May 4, 8 days later, UPS site said no info available, but rep was adamant that I would receive by May 1. The rep then stated he would credit back the shipping charges and to remember that when I responded to the survey. It was about his service, not the shipping issue. Red flag... I called UPS Monday May 1 and was told they had no package but did see that a manifest to a 3rd party was processed only today, May 1. 6 days to process and no update from Macy's that there was an issue.

Horrible experience with the Washington, DC staff. They ignored the elevator alarm ringing when me, my wife and our 17-month old baby were stuck in it for 15 minutes. Staff working in the Bags Dept. outside the elevator turned a deaf ear to it. Luckily a passing by customer heard us banging on the door and helped us out. Security staff working on the same floor also ignored the alarm and instead of apologizing for their mistake advices us to dial 911 if there was an emergency with us. How stupid can they be. Manager does not take responsibility of what happened and instead asks to complain to Macy's head office. Surely these guys don't take their jobs seriously and don't know what customer service actually means.

I have about 10 different credit cards and this is by far the worst. I am trying to be objective but Macy's is making it very hard. Received an email this morning with a pending balance although I haven't used the card in months. Upon login, I am being asked to ADD my credit card as if I had never used it. A balance for interest of USD 2.00 appeared online. I called technical support and was assured I did not owe anything. strange. Also, upon logging in, another credit card number appears on the screen. I questioned this but was not given a good explanation but rather asked to log out and log in after about 5 minutes.

I believe it has to do with the fact that there is a card number, and an ACCOUNT number, and although it would be great if they were the same, they are not, but no one was able to explain this to me. I have been with them for many years and during these years, had to change cards and accounts constantly for some reason. My credit score is excellent, yet I have an unbelievable credit line of USD 1300 to go nuts on shopping at Macy's. NOT.

I signed up for Thanks for Sharing and have not received my gift card. I contacted customer service and they told me not to worry it will be mailed to me in April. I went to the store to buy something and the saleslady told me the customer service gift card has been mailed already. People have already used their gift card so I emailed customer service and they practically told me they have no access to my acct and cannot help me. The email said I should go back to the store coz they can assist me when the saleslady in store told me they have no access to that so I would need to call customer service.

This is so much trouble for me. They advertise and advertise all their promotions and don't care if consumers actually get the promo. I will never sign up for that again or do their other promos like earn 10$ for every 50$ spent coz I didn't get that either. And they don't care. The kinky thing works is coupons on % off when you shop. Anything that you are suppose to get in a later date does not come and they won't back it up.

First of all it's such a great feeling when you meet with such a great mannered staff, really helpful and they save no effort in order to make customers very happy not only to go ahead and purchase from Macy's but also feel them as a family. :) Therefore I would like to take this opportunity to thank some of the staff members specially (Mrs ** & Mrs **) working at first floor by CK department, as they always have a beautiful and wonderful way dealing with the customers, and I'm one of them who really was so lucky to meet such a reliable and dedicated staff like them. :)) And I noticed how kind and dedicated they are not only with me but with every customer pass by, either to pay at register or to ask about something.

OMG. Those two staff members specially save no effort to help and help and always smile and cheerful. Last but not least I would take this chance to thank Macy's department. They hire such a wonderful people like Mrs **. :)) And I always enjoy shopping there and feel like I'm a family with that warm respectful sensation. :)))

I clearly remember when shopping over the Nov/Dec 2016 holiday time that a store clerk mentioned a "reward". If I gave $25 I would receive a coupon for $25 in January (what I don't remember but think it was for $25 off purchases either applied on a one-time purchase or until the benefit was reached). I filled out a "donation" form at the register. I did not receive a coupon nor anything in the mail other than the normal shopping discounts. When I called about a billing question, and explained this other promotion I did not receive after paying them $25!! I was told that I was incorrectly told something by the store clerk. (Possibly a temporary clerk for the holiday?) But I am angry that I paid an extra $25 over and above my purchase!!!

Customer service for the Macy's credit card is terrible!!! I cannot believe the tone and aggravation they use to speak to you with about asking questions about your account. Managers are absolutely despicable, it's demoralizing and work so much more differently than other store credit card companies.

We received a package from Macy's that contained a packing slip with the correct items on it, but someone else's contents. We ordered wine glasses and got china. It took me nearly an hour on the phone with a Macy's representative to work through a solution; since Macy's wanted me to print a return label and BRING the heavy box to a local UPS store. I negotiated for a UPS pickup, and that's what I did. Meanwhile, the wine glasses I ordered to use on Easter won't be here in time, and Macy's offered no accommodation or help in getting something more quickly. I am amazed at the lack of customer-friendly policies, since we have normally spent a significant amount of money each year at Macy's. I guess I'll be looking elsewhere for future purchases.

Purchased a recliner for $647.04 at the Roseville, MN Home Store. Since Macy does not allow customers to pick up the item themselves, I had to pay a $65 delivery fee. Could not recline the chair. Within the required 3 day return policy I contacted Macy and told them I would like to return it. They had a tech come out to see if he could loosen the chair so it would recline easier. I still could not do it with ease. Had the chair picked up within the week to return it.

At the time of purchase, I didn't understand there would be a restocking fee and I would not get the delivery fee back. I see the salesperson did star the restocking fee paragraph, but we did not discuss it in length, therefore, I did not comprehend what was to happen. I received $496.55 back. I have to pay $150.49 and I have no chair. After much discussion with three customer service reps, I did get them to waive the pickup fee. I have learned to be aware of restocking fees when purchasing furniture. Also, I will not shop at Macy's home store again.

I have had a Macy's credit card virtually unused and good standing for 11 years. I went to make a purchase roughly one to two years ago and was told that my card deactivated likely due to non-use. No problem, associate tells me "I can reactivate your existing card." I proceeded to make a purchase and years later I find two Macy's cards on my credit report. I have since reported this to Macy's but have had no response. My BBB complaint is prepared and I'm also preparing for legal action in the event of my credit report has been affected adversely in the slightest way. Be careful at Macy's... It may have been a rogue associate that did this but Macy's is still responsible.

I was locked out of my online account. After numerous calls and waiting times I finally got through to someone in tech support. Who explained that the reason my account was locked was that I hadn't changed my password in 3 months!!?? I have to change my password every 3 months? With no requests or reminders about this? The woman told me she would send me an email within the hour to unlock/reset my password. The email never came. When I called back and complained the rep said she would send me a courtesy coupon... never came! I am now on hold AGAIN waiting for tech support. Customer service is horrendous!

Hello I had a horrible experience with a counterfeit fragrance that was said to been shipped from one of your warehouses. Customer service has continually lied to me and is very very rude. I had a very bad contact dermatitis reaction to a fake Dolce & Gabbana light blue. I have purchased this product from your dept stores for many years however this gift set was not available at any Macy's near me. At first I thought they had changed to product packaging but, on further investigation I confirmed that the product packaging has never changed. I have begged customer service to help me, twice they said they forwarded my complaint to your "Executive Dept". Then they told me they couldn't contact anyone to help me that I had to do it myself. I would like to resolve this matter ASAP without any further unnecessary actions. Customer service is absolutely downright uninformed, rude and of no help.

Recently purchased $600+ worth of clothing online and in store. Entered Macy's promo code/shopping pass, online. When CC info was entered and submitted the promo code mysteriously was taken off on the next screen. Items rang up higher price. Immediately called customer service and told it would be adjusted. Fast forward a week later and decided to go shopping in store, shopping pass AGAIN not accepted. Called to complain yet again and as promised code was applied and they apologized for inconvenience.

Two weeks later I needed to return 4 of the items that didn't fit right. Mailed them and warehouse received items but no refund. Two weeks later I called 3 separate occasions only to be told, because I had the promo price adjusted that would be my credit... What!!! Explained to three reps, but each one says the same scripted message. Macy's has my returned items but will not refund me the $ for the items they now have. Unacceptable and unethical practices by Macy's!

I was charge on my inactive card by Macy's accounting time, instead of putting the charge as a credit it was put as a charge. Over 6 months ago, I keep calling regarding this matter. It takes one hour everytime on the phone then I get a response, "We are sorry this is happening but we are still working on it as we are backed up." Meanwhile interest and fees are charged on an inactive account and affecting my credit. I have been an Elite Customer for Macy's for over 15 years and this is how they manage my account... Maybe need to get them to Channel & so they have the time and hire enough reps to close those non-legit issues!

Horrible, horrible customer service. Called 3x for the correct item. They told me the second time the item was available in the correct size I had originally wanted & when I got my order it was in the wrong color!!! When I ordered it over the phone for the second time for the correct size and color the guy told me everything was good to go and available. Got it in the mail today when I ordered it a week ago. Wrong color. So I called in.

The lady was flustered with my reaction and confused on what happened. Passed me to the supervisor Darwin. Horrible, horrible customer service. How is it fair that the time of my order my item I wished for and size was available and when I called in because it's the wrong color he tells me it's no longer available? I ordered this the 17th of march. It is now the 23rd. My original order was the 12th. Got it in black but not the right size. Why do I lose out on an item I've been wanting and ordered 2x for nothing in return. Horrible experience ever!

Macy's Company Profile