1.28/5
  • 1 star
Based on 153 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 12, 2017

1218 Macy's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I had a terrible experience trying to buy a egift card from Macy's. Their fraud protection agency, which is not based in the US, denies perfectly valid credit cards about half an hour after you've placed your order. If you call to find out why, you will be put on a half an hour hold and told they cannot verify your address which is why your credit card is being rejected. It's ridiculous. No wonder Macy's is going bankrupt.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I spent three hours in 29 minutes on hold with Macy's this evening. I called four different times was disconnected for three of them. Could not speak to a supervisor nor technical support. The agent online did not speak English well. Customer service was rude and completely uninterested in my complaint. They couldn't answer simple questions or help me log into my shopping bag. When I finally got somebody to help me purchase the one item I wanted they haggled to give me a $30 discount for my 3 1/2 hours of time.

I had spent over $2300 and obviously no one cared. I am so disappointed with Macy's I'm closing all my accounts and will not do any more shopping here until I get some response from Macy's itself. I think you should be ashamed of my experience. I only hope that we have some sort of conflict resolution. I assume I'll find out soon enough whether Macy's really cares about their supportive customers. I absolutely believe the customer service had the opportunity to resolve this issue to some sort of compromise. $30 was not enough when I never had any intention of getting a discount at all. I simply wanted to buy the things that I had been shopping for so diligently for the holidays. Thanks Macy's you made this holiday very stressful.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I place an order during Thanksgiving sale and next day I was notified that items will be mailed starting November 24th. I called Macy's immediately to ask them to hold shipping day since I was going on vacation. They said no worries. They facilitate my request. Here I come after 8 days and some of the items are missing. Trying to call customer service line three different people hung up on me. I did log an email three days ago but no one got back to me. Horrible. Horrible experience. I am not sure what to do and how to contact them since every time I try to approach them they hang up.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I've never reviewed here before but felt I needed to on this one. I decided to use Macy's online for my Christmas shopping. I had not used Macy's in over 5 years. I noticed they had my old address so I immediately updated it before I shopped. After several times shopping I noticed they sent me emails with the old address. I immediately phoned them and the reassured I would get my package within 2 business days. She was nice and helpful and I felt it was handled well. Until I realized after 4 days it still hadn't come.

Long story short They say they have no capability. After all of these problems they cannot due to their equipment. They cannot expedite an overnight shipping and cannot tell me when I will get confirmation as to when I will get my package and this my friends is the 3rd time trying to get my daughter's Christmas coat here for Christmas. Now I understand as to why Macy's is going under. Their customer service is antiquated and not as helpful as they seem. So they are great as long as you have zero problems with your deliveries!! Pretty sad for sure!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I have observed what I am about to describe in the past, but never had proof. Today, I got the proof and I took pictures to support. I ordered a "Last Act" item online recently (ordered in late November). Today the item arrived and fortunately for me, the "Last Act" price tag happened to still be attached to the item. The price tag on the item was much lower than the price charged online. They intentional sold me a product for a higher price than the price tag on the item. I noticed in the past when I would scan items in the store that were on clearance or Last Act, they would come up for a higher price online. I thought it was odd, and would end up buying in the store due to the difference. I didn't know that indeed Macy's is intentionally overcharging online.

The consumer should pay the same price at Macy's online as the price tag. When a product arrives with a lower price tag than that charged to the consumer (who couldn't see the price tag until the item arrived), in my opinion a scam. If I thought it was an isolated incident, I would have contacted customer service, but given that I've noticed it several times in the past when scanning items in the store, I believe this is an intentional act and far from an isolated incident. I plan on reporting this to the proper state/federal authorities because it is so offensive to me as a consumer and as a Macy's credit card holder and shopper.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I came home to find a phone number I was not familiar with on the messages. Called it. NOTHING ever identified by them as being MACY'S at all. Then, this "customer service" person wants to know my account number, and I still had no idea who this even was who had called. I was fuming. So not right. I never had gotten the previous month's statement at all, so this was an issue. Anyway, I did make a payment of higher than 1/2 the balance due. Got the confirmation number. Less than one hour later, I get another phone call from them and they want to know when I am going to get this account in order. I blasted that "customer service" person, telling her this was already resolved (don't tell me they can't take the time to double check someone has not already contacted that person that day), and they were going to reverse any late fees, etc., since mail does get stolen from our neighborhood. I had to go through all of the details all over again.

By this time, I was ready to pop, and I insisted on talking to a supervisor. She was coolish and very matter of fact, and did not really care about my almost one hour of being inconvenienced today. She said she would file my complaint. You know what? Macy's is not what it use to be. They have some very wonderful employees, but they are so overworked and understaffed. Dressing rooms are usually a mess, because the lone person trying to run a department can't be ringing people up and be cleaning up the dressing rooms at the same time. I am so sad it is in such a bad state of affairs. As for me after today? I am destroying my MACY'S card, and I am NEVER stepping a foot in one of their stores. I would rather spend a bit more at Nordstrom's and be treated with dignity and respect. I am so disgusted with Macy's. Just had to share my experience. Life is too short to be wasting it on these kinds of calls and people who really don't care about you.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I placed an order with Macy’s, I did not receive it, so I called. I called 5 Times, getting disconnected 4 Times. I was on hold no less than 45 minutes each time. When I reached an associate she was rude and short, did not help with my concerns, but offered me 10% off instead of the 50% offered before, then asked if I’d like to take the customer service survey, I said «absolutely«, she then hung up on me. Great customer service Macy’s.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

** is my order number. I have returned the items on it and they were delivered to their warehouse on 27th itself. But I have not yet received my refund. Can someone please help me on this. I am following up every day and no one is helping me. They are keeping me on hour long wait, and giving random answers every day. Not providing me my refund of 262 dollars. Have been calling them every day, some days they say, "We have processed," some day they say 2 business days. Some day 5 business day and really are clueless, now it's getting painful.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Most terrible experience with Macy's customer service phone line. I placed an order on Friday which was cancelled without a notification. Macy's put an identity check on my Macy's card (when I called they didn’t give me a reason why). Instead of calling to verify identity, they cancelled my order. After waiting for the delivery, I saw a cancellation email in my junk mail, I called to verify myself and to reinstate the order but the items were out of stock. So much for spending my Black Friday shopping time at macy's.com!!!

When the order was reinstated, they forgot to use my gift card $$ and charged everything (~$300) to my Macy's card. First agent, didn't even agree and kept insisting that the gift card $$ was applied. I said I have the proof, the email with order details. He checked the orders but said it doesn’t mention in the receipt but it was taken off. “Trust me ma’am”. He also said that I am confused, I am not understanding, then he sounded so mad/frustrated. Since he was so rude about it, I asked to be transferred but he refused few times, then I begged him. He laughed sarcastically then said “you are going to hear the same thing, trust me”.

After waiting 7 minutes, either he came back changing his voice, or someone else whom he had already informed. The 2nd person started the same exact thing/logic “Ma’am you are confused, you are not understanding” even before he asked me “how can I help you”. I hung up and called again to ask them to apply the gift $$ to my order or to my account. But they refused to do that and said they will mail it so I can shop again at Macy's with that card. What a tricky way to get more business!!!

Most of the agents I dealt with, were very rude, didn't want me to transfer me to another person or to a manager or to an US agent. They used phrases like "Oh my god", "not a big deal ma'am, why can’t you shop again with that gift card", "you are really confused ma'am”, “I don’t know why you are not understanding”. I am so sorry and disappointed, I really hope the corporation knows what’s going on.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

This company needs to get their policies straight!!! I purchased an item online and was told by the customer service rep I could return the item in store. I first purchased a LG and decided I needed an extra LG after I had worn the coat a couple times. Returned it in store no problem. Got the 2nd coat and they sent another size LG not xl. I decided I would just keep it. I wore it about 5 or 6 times and decided the LG just wasn’t right. I called customer service again and explained the situation. They said, “Yes no problem just take the coat back to the store”...

So I drive to the store and after going through 2 employees and 2 managers they said no. Since I had worn the coat they wouldn't take it back! It's been 2 weeks. Really only wore it 5 /6 times. Plus Macy's mistake to begin with. So I had to drive across town to UPS and Return it by mail. I spent way too much of my valuable time dealing with this coat! Had I have said I was unhappy with the quality she said she would have returned it... How the hell does this make any sense? Never will I shop with Macy's again!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Called at 11 am to be told by the automated service it would be a 10 min. After 20 min someone picked up the phone and it disconnected. I call back and 20 min later the next person picks up. I give her my # so she can call back if it happened again which it did and she did not call back, I call the 3rd time. Wait again ask my question and got disconnected and now almost 2 hours later with no answer and I can tell you I am beyond frustrated!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Most terrible experience with Macy's ever in the past 2.5 weeks. I came in on Nov. 16th to the Macy's women's shoe department and purchased 2 pair of shoes. Unfortunately, as I was trying them on, I left a store bag from another store that I purchased from that night on a chair. As I came home, I quickly called back and asked if my store bag was still there. An employee from Macy's said they did have it which I was relieved and responded I would be coming in on Monday to grab it since I will be out of town on the 17th. I came in on Monday to the shoe department and an associate didn't even bother checking and quickly rushed me off to go to the executive office since it would most likely be there.

As I got to the office, I was informed my bag was not there and they did not know where it was. I was angry and shocked since no one seemed to even try to look. I sat for 10 mins as the employee "called" down to the shoe department. NO luck. I gave them my number and the description of what was in the bag. I was told a manager will look into it and will call me back in a few days. NO response. NO call. I finally called them back and was told nothing has shown up to the office. Called again today and once again the same usual response. I was so frustrated! So I asked in the event that my bag was now lost in MACY'S possession, what will happen? The employee told me that it was my fault I left it behind and maybe a customer took it.

At this point, I began to think that maybe one of the employees stole my bag or lost it and they do not want to take the blame. I quickly replied back that had I called that night and was told my bag WASN'T there then yes it would have been my fault. However, my bag WAS there! So where is it now? I keep getting the runaround from MACY'S. I have left 3 voicemails for the shoe manager and the store manager. No response. I HAVE filed a complaint with Macy's customer service. They are cheaters and liars. Possibly thieves. WHERE IS MY BAG?!!! It's the principle behind it that makes me upset.

If Macy's has genuinely lost my bag, either reimburse me which I have evidence of my payment or an incentive. Be honest instead of saying my bag was never returned to the office. Someone knows where my bag is. They must have cameras and most calls to Macy's are recorded no? I even took a screenshot of the time I called Macy's that night on the 16TH for evidence as well as the employee that rang my shoes. I'm just disgusted with this place. I will find my answer no matter how many stupid calls I have to make in order for someone to take responsibility! Stay away from this place!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Three years in a row shopping online for either Black Friday or Cyber Monday, they cancelled my order without any explanation. I can understand if ran out of an item, but cancelling the whole order?! Not only that, but I was advised of cancellation a day or 2 later, after the sale was over, so I missed out on the deals. E-mailed customer service, and no response. I am shopping Nordstrom from now on.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I ordered a pair of boots in the wrong color. Called them to fix this very simple issue. I'm used to finding a way to understand incredibly broken English since I live in a multicultural area in a mixed-race family, but the CSR's English was almost deliberately bad. I didn't understand him, and I could tell he didn't understand a word I was saying either. When he did speak coherently it was just to tell me the details of my order "you ordered this on this day at this time and you paid that amount"... And when I said, "Yes. I know but I'd like to change the color..." "You paid this on this day in that amount"... I was pulling my hair out by the end of it. The person finally managed to tell me that the ordered hadn't been processed yet and couldn't be changed, that I should call back a half hour later once it was confirmed.

So I called back a half hour later. At which point the next non-English speaking CSR managed to tell me after a half hour that there is a half hour LIMIT on changes and I would have to call back after getting the confirmation email. Calling back after I got the confirmation email took an entire afternoon and when I finally got frustrated enough to be fully honest with the CSR "You're making changes to my order and that's the only thing I can understand. I can't understand what you're saying and you don't understand me. I need to speak to a supervisor or someone else who can understand? Do you understand? Do you know what I'm saying?"

And the person just started repeating the details of the account AGAIN. Finally after HOURS and DAYS of not wanting to seem racist or intolerant for wanting to understand the words being said to me in supposedly my own language, I just blurted out "please can I speak to someone who speaks English" and the person hung up on me. I don't even know what they did! I think they canceled my order, or something, but I have literally no idea because I honest-to-God couldn't understand a word the person was saying and I'm pretty sure the person didn't understand me at all.

I never received the confirmation email or receipt, and could only contact them with my temporary order number throughout the process, and now my order is probably being held up at the border because someone in their call center decided to cancel/have it sent back to them WITHOUT providing any solution to me. I tried to contact them online and was immediately disconnected. I should have just taken the drive to New York. When it comes to outsourcing customer service, Macy's is the worst.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Called to cancel a online order within 1/2 hour of ordering, which is usually no problem. All day the systems were down. Macy's kept asking me to call back every hour. After 7 hours, I finally spoke with someone who said they could cancel my order. The next morning, I found it was never cancelled. I was lied to, about the cancellation, my bank account was charged, and they now could not stop the order, they said it had been shipped, nothing they could do. Meanwhile my money is tied up until the item comes back to them. WRONG. I should have been reimbursed at the time of cancellation! It was not just the money they took from my account, (I felt robbed) but also, it was these annoying factors about Macy's customer service:

1.) Being on hold for hours and hours throughout my Black Friday Shopping day. Put on hold continuously. Frustrating. 2.) When I spoke with their customer service, I had a hard time understanding them, they had very heavy accents. Very hard to understand for me. 3.) While I was on the phone with several (3 total) customer service people, I kept asking for a manager or supervisor, and they would connect me with a nonworking number, then I would have to start all over again to try to reach help, being on hold, listening to chatter in background, loud and annoying.

4.) LOUD, the background noise in the customer service calls while trying to correct this problem with Macy's was unbearable. Chatting loudness of others talking, very disrupting while trying to understand someone with a very heavy accent. 5.) I ended up buying the same sheets I wanted at another store online and I got two sets for the price of Macy's one. So all in all, life is good now. But, no more shopping at Macy's!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

On November 22nd 2017 went to Macy's Store in Hillsdale San Mateo, California. I requested one of the Sales Associate name by Sylvia to check the price of the Earrings in Jewelry Section. She did not smile grab the earring from my hand and looked angry to me and by guessing the price and told me $50.00. I was wondering how come $50.00 when the Regular price $55.00 with additional 30% will be $50.00 then she put the jewelry back to the counter and pretending she is busy started fixing the box gift shelf. Then I was still in that section I saw when Spanish Customer approach her she was so friendly with them. It is totally Racial Discrimination. I am going to close my Macy's Amex credit acct and never go to Macy's. I am going to use Nordstrom Credit Card. Very friendly staff. I don't care about their price. They are expensive but good quality customer service.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I got a Macy's credit card which was to give a discount on the first order - it never did. I applied $116.65 of Plenti points at checkout, which was shown to be accepted at checkout. I also signed up for autopay. When my bill arrived the discount and the Plenti points were not applied and I was being charged over $5 in interest. On my bill that should have been only $50. I called and tried to get help and nothing happen they refused to talk about it, another time they put me on hold and then hung up. I kept trying. Then I get a notice I have been charged a late fee. Which made no sense as I put on auto pay. But they stated I did not. I know I did as I got an automatic email stating so. I paid the minimum listed that was $64.13 on 10/31 which they took out of my bank.

Then today on 11/22/17 they took the same exact out again saying you signed up for minimum and that is what it was. Yes, the month before but they did not deduct it and double charged me the same amount. I only owe them $64.13 but they are showing over $200. NO matter what I pay the price goes up. I have written over 20 emails - I only get form letters back. When I call I am transferred or put on hold. There is no place to turn to get help.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I am trying to return a product that doesn’t fit. I have called Macy’s customer service 5 times only to get the runaround. I have asked repeatedly to speak to a supervisor and have been denied that request 5 times. I finally received a label and sent the jeans back and they sent them right back to me.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I've reached my breaking point with Macy's, after giving them the benefit of the doubt for the last 10 years. The Macy's of yesteryear is dead, and the place they call Macy's today is maybe a step up from JC Penny. The physical store: Dirty. Stained carpets. Dirty dressing rooms. Broken tiles. Crammed with merchandise that's displayed haphazardly. Can't find a salesperson to ring you up most of the time. Prices are usually more expensive in-store than they are online. Sure they'll honor the online price, but it's an exhausting game to play every time.

Online: Inadequate descriptions of merchandise. Sizing charts not always available for clothes. Cluttered website. It's a gamble to buy things from them online. Express shipping was a fail once, and they refused to refund the shipping costs until I filed a complaint with the BBB. Prices fluctuate daily. Not willing to play that game anymore either. Can't use coupons on mostly everything now, as everything is excluded. Not worth having a Macy's card anymore.

Customer Service: I hope you don't ever have to call about your Macy's credit card. There's been some fraud issues I was dealing with. All the phone calls I made had me waiting 50 minutes on hold each time. Then when a rep finally comes on from a call center overseas, they cannot help you and you cannot even understand them. This has happened so many times, that the last time I called, I also closed my Macy's card, which I've had for over 10 years. Bye Bye Macy's. I see they're closing stores across the USA? I hope all of them get closed.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My issue is, after I spend almost 1500 bucks on a mattress, the mattress has sunk up on both sides and we are having back problems with it. Both sides sunk and now the mattress is ruin. Had it for almost 3 years, the mattress has at least a 5 year warranty. They send someone to inspect, the guy came with a smell like he hasn't shower in a few days, grab a string, LITERALLY A STRING, and put it from one side of the bed to the other. If no visible sink is notice, you are not cover. I told him, lay on it and you will feel it. They are not allowed to lay on it, NO KIDDING! Now they won't change my mattress, 1500 bucks down the drain just like that.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I submitted a 1 star review for one of their products that I purchased and it was never posted. Sneaky bastards! I bought 5 of the item I reviewed and they are falling apart after a few wears. Just want to let shoppers know that those "reviews" on Macys.com that look so darn good are not necessarily accurate. Especially since they seem to be very high ratings posted. I don't think I'm the only person with the same issue.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My mother and I were standing in the shoe department in the finish line area waiting for assistance for almost a half an hour and no one paid any attention to us like we were invisible. We asked for assistance and we were told to wait so after waiting for 30 mins we left and didn't leave with the shoes we went there for.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My package was sent to the wrong shipping address. When I called to inquire, I was told the same and was told that I would be sent a dispute form as the package was signed for even though it was confirmed that it was sent to an address that was not attached to this order. When I said this was unacceptable and asked to speak to a supervisor, she then told me the packages were actually returned to the company’s shipping center and the former employee was mistaken. She could refund the order and place a new one to expedite. The card used did not have enough funds to cover now a new large replacement order and the pending refund cost for the three to five days it would take to receive, therefore I did not want to have this occur either and was told that was my only option.

I was then transferred to another manager and placed on hold for 30 minutes. He then told me the same. At this point the company now had my goods and my money in their possession and refused to do anything different for me. These goods were all still in stock and could have easily been reshipped on a new order with a refund necessary since they already had their items back. I will be placing a chargeback with my bank. A company acting like thieves who do not care about the customer satisfaction.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Coupons/codes that received from the mail don’t work, trying to do an online purchase. Called Macy's customer service, spoke to an agent then a I asked to put me through to a supervisory, because the code that I have for $15 off for purchase over $40 or more does not match on their end, I have a total of $88 in my bag so it should work. They keep saying it’s a coupon code for 25% off with purchase of $100 or more. I ended up not completing the purchase because supervisor said he cannot do because it does not match on their end.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I was Macy's credit membership holder since 2009 and I worked for Macy's from 2009 to 2013. Macy's screwed up my credit because of 6 dollars statement in 2014 which I never received it. Today I was explaining it to the Macy's credit specialist and I was requesting to solve the issue. She instead of helping me in this matter, she tried to put me down and not willing to help me by making the situation complicated... It was so disappointing and far from Macy's mission. I told her I was taught as one of the Macy's employee we should treat our customers with dignity and respect and Macy's mission is customer satisfaction not customers disturbing and losing them. I hope this review and concerns seen by Macy's and who cares about Macy's.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I went to return items purchased at Macy's. While the back states you have up to a year to return an item with a receipt and tags on the item, the return was not honored. Apparently, there is a new return policy which is not promoted with in-store signage or advertising. Last chance items may not be returned, The item I purchased did not have the last chance tag on it and I was informed by the manager who showed me the code on my receipt. Since I do not work at Macy's I would not know. They have now lost a lifetime shopper, my friends, and family.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have had an account with Macy's for a while. However, I am not happy with their services. Customer service is almost non-existent and lately I found out that their employees have access to their customer's social security number including date of birth. In order to get information about a charge to my account I gave them my name, account number and 4 last digits of my social security number but they refused to give me the info. I was told by two managers that the information I provided it is not enough. I have been a victim of several scams and I do not feel comfortable giving all these details to strangers therefore I will close my account.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

This is a comment on the Macys.com website store order policies. I placed an order and tried canceling it, to switch it over to a bigger size and Macy’s customer service refused to cancel or swap my size because I passed a 30 minute cut off point. I was only 40 minutes past. My item wasn't being shipped until 3 days later, and they still refused to cancel it. They told me to just refuse the package when it arrives or fill out a return form and ship back the item. I ended up having to place another order for the same item in a different size. I will never be shopping that site again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I bought wedding gift dishes in Aug. 2017. I was talked into opening an account to save money. Mistake!!! In Oct. 2017, I even went into store in Fairview, Texas to pay off this account, because if you call the number on receipt or statement, it goes to the Philippines! They wanted my checking account number to make a payment... They do not have a customer service department in the store, only clerks on the register that could not find my account by the account number on my statement. We both called customer service phone number that said my account number was not valid, could not find my account... So she determined my account was paid off and closed.

Now I'm getting past due calls from the Philippines! After I get this account closed, I will never go in Macy's again! Terrible experience. United States wonders why we have so much identity theft, but our dept. stores are assigning foreign companies to open and handle our credit accounts!!! Wow! And yes, my SS# was stolen in 2011. We need to stop foreign handling of our information.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

If I could give 0 stars I would. I signed up for a Macy's card after buying a watch, which was my first mistake. 20 minutes later I wanted to use the card again in another area of the store to buy some clothes and the card couldn't be used because they couldn't "verify my information". I had to stand at the register for 45 minutes on the dirty store phone that the guy behind the register handed me so I could wait around to try to get the issue figured out. After answering a few questions, my information was still not verified so I decided I would just use a different form of payment. I had already paid for part of the purchase with my credit card with the expectation that the rest of it would be put on my Macy's card, and then when the Macy's card didn't work I tried to use the credit card for the rest of the purchase but their system doesn't allow that.

The employee offered to cancel the order and ring everything up again (and it was quite a lot) so I could use the card but I didn't want to wait for that so I used a different card. After this fiasco I tried to log on to the website to pay off the card and cancel it but the website wouldn't allow me to register my card. I called customer service and after waiting on hold for a while I talked to someone (who, by the way, I could barely understand) and was able to get my information verified (finally) so I could log on. When I did I saw the watch purchase on there - listed as an amount about $40 less than what was on my receipt. Done with Macy's!

Macy's Company Information