Macy's

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought a furniture from Macy's on 08/29/2016 under the 12 months special event purchase for $2179.70. Am supposed to pay it in full before 09/05/2017. But from that time onwards I had been charged Interest every month, which has gone beyond $250 now. I called up Macy's customer service last week to resolve this issue. They took all the details and told me it will be resolved ASAP. I got my August statement now and there is additional charge of $11 for Interest charge. If there is a delay in payment, then you promptly charge late fee and interest. But when Macy's charged interest by mistake, they are not giving back my money immediately. It's a shame Macy's is not resolving the issue. I have decided am not going to purchase anything from Macy's on any special event purchase.

Used to love Macy's but not anymore!!! Made my monthly payment to my Macy's Card on July 10, on July 15th I checked my personal bank account and seen there were two debit transactions on my personal account from Macy's. I called Macy's to inquiry about the second unauthorized payment, customer service told me that was an automatic payment set up by you, explained it was not authorized by me and that I had already made my monthly payment on July 10th and that I want that unauthorized payment put back into my account. They stated it would take 7-10 business days. Well this did not happen. It gets better, I checked my Macy's account a few days later after speaking to them and I seen that my Macy's account was used in the amount of $523.00 unauthorized again in a city that is 2 hours away that I didnt authorize, now keep in mind I have my Macy's card never lost it and it was not stolen.

Called Macy's again. Reported my card stolen and that I did not authorize this payment, isn't this just a coincident??? Clearly someone had access to my account online. I have made over a dozen calls to Macy's customer service about having the unauthorized funds put back into my personal account and they have not done this, they have conference my bank twice and I sent them my bank statement, and it is now August 5 the and I'm yet to receive my money back. As I'm writing this I have been on the phone with them for an hour in a half trying to get these funds put back into my account. It's just crazy that it takes all of this to have someone do their job!!! I have worked customer service for 20 years and I don't treat my customers like this!!!

I am completely done with Macy's. I have never been so outraged with a company as much as I am with Macy's. Last year I reported fraud on my account because someone utilized my card and maxed it out. I rarely ever go to Macy's so once I received the fraud alert, I contacted them right away to get to the bottom of issue. Fast forward months later when I try to order online with either my Macy's card or regular credit/debit cards, the order gets canceled for whatever reason. I never looked into why any of my orders were canceled, I just figured that the item was sold out and left it alone. I can make purchases with my Macy's card in store with no problem, however. Today (July 30th, 2017), I placed an order and the same thing happened so I finally decided to give them a call and figure out what is going on. I spoke to a total of five customer service representatives and none of those incompetent representatives were of any help.

One rude agent even hung up the phone on me because I expressed to her that she needed to give me a better clarification as to why I cannot utilize my card online, other than I needed to "change my provided information." All of the information I provided was correct; from the Macy's card information, address, phone number and name. I frequently shop online so I am pretty familiar on how to appropriately complete an online order form. I cannot frequent the stores as often and online shopping is much more convenient.

I am trying to give them MY MONEY, and no one is doing anything to help me understand WHY I cannot place any online orders. Ridiculous. I am a bit apprehensive about closing my Macy's card because I know not will affect my credit score which I have worked so hard for. But this is an action I need to take because I cannot support a company that is doing very little to address consumer concerns. Once I pay off my balance within the next few weeks, I am going close my card ASAP because Macy's clearly doesn't need any of my business.

It is an assault to have account with Macys, when they charge you 26.24% for your outstanding balance. They promote the Plenti points, and you are really getting kill with the rate. This is just a robbery.

Macy's Credit Card - I have been a Macy's customer for many years. I have used their credit card service for many of my purchases in order to get the promos and discounts. I have paid the balance off many times also. My current balance is $0 and believe me it will stay at $0. They raised my interest rate to 26 PERCENT! A zero balance and an excellent credit score gets you NOTHING with this company. Well now they get nothing from me. UGH!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?

On Friday 30th of June I went to the Macy's store in Towson Town Center, Towson Maryland. I spoke with Holly and Jaime that night. I went to the store to return a pair of shoes which I purchased in New York city as they cut the back of my foot and they started to bleed. I left the shoes because Holly and Jaime were not helpful. On Monday 3rd July, I called and spoke with the store Manager Nequa ** and explained that I made a return and I emailed her the receipt because the money was not refunded back to me.

I was told by Nequa that day that she was putting the refund in the mail, mind you I live 5 minutes away from the store so it shouldn't take more than 3 days to receive a letter in the mail. I received one email from Nequa saying that she will check on it. Since then I have spoken to Moe, another manager and he told me that the letter was in their mailing department and never got sent out, he said he will overnight it sent out, this was on Friday 7/14/17. It is now Monday 7/17/17 and I have not received any refund.

Macy's made multiple transactions for the same order as the first was declined by the bank due to fraud protection. Although the 2nd transaction was successful with the bank, all Macy's orders were cancelled, meaning I was charged but nothing was going to be delivered by Macy's. We spent 5 HOURS ON THE PHONE to ensure we would receive our items, however to do so they made a 3rd credit card transaction. After getting it back down to only 1 transaction, they said they would give us expedited shipping for free, however charged us $19 for the "free" shipping. In addition our credit card still has $600 hold for 3-5 business days. My said they can simply put an immediate cancellation on the order and I even conferenced the bank on the line with Macy's to explain. They still have not cancelled the transaction and I cannot use my credit card.

Over a year ago I purchased a 14K gold chain for a loved one and I also got a 3 year warranty for it. While they were sleeping the chain broke and I took it back to Macy's and was told that it would take 2 weeks to repair. That seemed like a lot to me since small boutiques only take a few days but I didn't say anything. More than 3 weeks went by and I received no phone call telling me the chain was ready. I called them and the lady could not track my order via surname or customer number. I began to worry and she told me a manager would call me later in the day. Sure enough she did and told me the chain wasn't there and that the repairman would send it back Monday and it should arrive at the store on Wednesday.

Then Thursday came and I received no phone call yet again. I called and was told that the chain had been there since Monday. I got to the store and the lady asked me if I had been notified. I told her that I was the one who had to call. Horrible experience and I regret purchasing the chain and especially the warranty since they can't keep track of valuable items when taken in for repair.

MACY'S credit services are horrible. I had a Macy's credit card for a few years stuck on 200.00 credit limit. So every time I requested a credit limit I was always declined. So I applied again and I thought that Macy's would grant my request for an increase in my credit line. So they asked me if they could call my cell phone to see if this was really me. Instead of calling my cell phone they called my landline phone. While I was talking with them on my landline phone I have used the Macy's credit card and paid off my balance to them. I guess this isn't responsible enough.

They also gave me some bogus story. The reason they could not grant me a credit line increase was because I did not subscribe to their text alerts... which makes absolutely no sense. So I canceled my Macy's card and I will never apply with them again. No wonder Macy's closing stores. They do not know how to treat their paying customers who are responsible until they get their act together. I suggest you shop somewhere else that respects you as a customer. IMHO.

Lousy logistics, worst delivery schedule. Ordered online June 17. Hopefully to make my Alaska trip June 20. Auto email said processing, so thought will make it. It didn't arrive. Fine. Bought another one. Hopeful that it arrives June 24 as I'm travelling international to Asia where I live and just transiting to Seattle for visit to relatives. June 24 today, no shipment. Had I known that they deliver forever, I should have not bothered! Their email is deceiving saying "shipping now" days ago! It should reflect accurate delivery and not give false hopes to consumers. This is very bad practice.

I drove an hour to Macy's to buy a Coach wallet to match my new Coach tote. It had to be ordered by the associate even though the Macy's website said it was available at the store. When the khaki/dark brown Accordion signature wallet finally arrived, right away I knew it was counterfeit. It came wrapped in a plastic bag with multiple rubber bands around it. The bands were too tight and "damaged" the wallet. The price was torn off. The signature "Cs" did not line up, and more. This shipment came from the San Antonio warehouse.

At present & after talking to different people thru Macy's 800 phone #, Macy's is allegedly shipping a "real" one to me, but this has been a terrible, terrible, terrible hassle. I went thru three different phone representatives trying to get them to understand AND document (for Coach's sake & theirs - um, their stores are closing) what had happened so as to crack down on guilty culprits swapping out real for counterfeit merchandise somewhere at Macys.

The representatives each had a spiel down that didn't match what I was trying to do. It is NOT enough for them to send me a different (authentic?) wallet. They need to have better security in their warehouses or elsewhere & dispense -- in the harshest manner possible -- those guilty employees who are doing this. I write this because there are other reports on the web by people who have received fake Coach items from Macys. After years of loyalty, I don't think I will be shopping there ever again.

Went to Macy's in Marlboro. Had a great girl named Samantha. Sometimes when you're older, they tend to ignore you or let someone else to take care of you. She told me she would be with me in a few minutes & she was. Sat me in a chair & helped me with all my needs. She gave me recommendations that helped me make the right choices. My main complaint is that all the makeup counters are understaffed. Usually have to go hunt someone up. I will be returning again next week to see her for more help. She is definitely an asset to store. Thank you.

Am a fan of Macy's store, love Macy's with my all but last week, 9th of June, I bought my Clinique powder online for a store pick up. On the 13th a reminder was sent to pick up the item but because of my busy schedule, I couldn't make it. Today 19th of June, I tracked it to see if it's still available for pick up or canceled and to my surprise, I saw a "picked up" message. Picked up? by who? After work, I went into the store to ask if am going to be refunded and I was met with a surprise, they claimed it has Never happened before and they have to investigate before letting me go, I was literally held at Macy's for 2hrs while they "INVESTIGATE".

The manager was called in, she told them to give me my refund but what made me mad was the look on the cashier's face, they still couldn't believe I didn't pick it up. Maybe it's because am **, am not sure... But I felt awful, they didn't even apologize for keeping me waiting while they did their stupid investigation. Am very upset.

I ordered e-gift card for my son. Went thru no problem. Several hours later I get email that order cancelled and to call this number. I called the number and they said the order didn't go through even though I had email confirmation. I checked PayPal and it said Macy's cancelled the order. The woman at Macy's made me go to the website, order the card again so she could ok it. I then looked at PayPal and could see it and the e-card was sent to my son. My ex husband tried to do the same thing and it was cancelled twice. Done with the Macy's forever.

I purchased a warranty. I received literature. Nowhere did it tell me that I had 90 days after expiration to make my claim to get the money back. I called and was told on a plan that old they didn't state that but it states it on their website. I had no need to go to their website because I had no claim.

They so quick to take your money out your bank card but they fail to mention to you they don't credit it back the delivery fee nor do they credit everything you return back all together nor do they credit back as fast as they take it out. Bought two bed toppers thinking it was with cushion end up being two sheets. Send them back only credited me back for one after they acknowledge they received 2 and still wait to be credit for the second one went through a mission about the delivery fee. Get hanged up on when it's time to get credit back for second one. And all their customer service reps having a speech speaking English problem, sound like they in Asia and learned to speak English from a book!!! Worse returning money processing ever. DON'T ORDER FROM MACY'S ONLINE. YOU BETTER OFF JUST GOING TO THE STORE.

These people at Macy's online ordering are just plain incompetent at online ordering. This is my third attempt in like 1 year to order something online at Macy's. Each time I have had just a difficult time ordering from them online. They are okay when you buy little BS stuff, but if you try to purchase a large ticket item they keep canceling the order for security reasons. I make large purchase online all the time like Amazon or Apple with no problem. Rest assured this will be the last time I attempt to order anything on Macy's website.

On a side note regarding this issue. It would be nice if they actually had operators working at their customer service department where English was their first language. IMO. The above information was based on my personal experience dealing with Macy's website and Macy's customer service department that they instructed me to call.

Ordered a gift for a bridal shower at the store. Told the salesperson three times it needed to be shipped to our home address (billing address). Received an email that it has shipped to the address for the register (bride). Called HQ and they assured us it would be rerouted. Would take longer, but would arrive at our address. Nope. Went to the bride. Embarrassing. So done.

We bought a leather sofa that we liked, I was told Macy's have great customer service and that buying there is a safe bet. We received the sofa and within 1 month of use the stitches started to tear on the side of the sofa, we bought extended warranty with the sofa and called them to repair it and they claimed that since we did not report it as soon as it happened they are not going to fix it. I must specify that the support was not Macy's themselves but a 3rd party that they sell its warranty plans - But hey you sell it. You need to take responsibility for it.

I called Macy's and asked them to cancel and refund me for the warranty + told them the story. They gave me partial refund as if I did got a warranty for the time that nothing happened. This is the worst experience I've ever had in the US. Not only that they did not took responsibility and offered to fix the sofa - Even give me a partial refund for the warranty that was unusable anyhow. I'll never ever buy anything from Macy's - The worst experience ever.

I recently ordered a set of towels on sale. Received towels but one towel was the wrong color. Called customer service. I was told to return the towel and a replacement towel would be mailed. I returned the towel and one month later was credited. I emailed customer service with supporting documents and requested a replacement towel at the sale price. I never received a response. This is the second time this type of "mistake" has occurred with Macy. Lousy customer service. I won't shop at Macy's again.

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 me and my husband had a terrible customer service experience at Macy's at Dulles Town Center Mall in Sterling, VA. After a while of shopping, I went to use the bathroom upstairs in the Women's department. As soon as I entered, the bathrooms were disgusting, had a strong stench, and messy. It was odd since there was an attendant inside that was supposed to be cleaning, yet the bathroom was still a disaster. I walked into the first stall, did my job and noticed there was absolutely no replenishment of toilet paper. Next, I continued to step into the next stall. Suddenly, I fell to the ground and had slid almost all the way under the stall. The floors were wet and I screamed for help and the attendant did absolutely nothing even though she was right outside the bathroom

While struggling to get up, I reached for my phone and called my husband for help. After, exiting the bathroom in pain we went to report the incident. The incident was reported to Gary of loss prevention Macy's. He seemed the least bit concerned or apologetic about the situation. We did not feel like the situation was taken seriously, when there were injuries present. He then proceeded very rudely to ask for my driver's license and details on the incident. After gathering the details, he said that someone from Customer Service would contact us in 2-3 days. He didn't offer any kind of medical help or anything. He was basically very rude and didn't possess common customer courtesy.

On Monday, May 15, 2017, Catherine, a customer service representative called me. She was very rude and inconsiderate about the situation, a reoccurring pattern with Macy's staff. She did not acknowledge that the bathrooms were supposed to be cleaned and replenished daily. Instead, she claimed the cleaning ladies will "get to it" when they can. I was offered $150 for the entire experience which is ridiculous. She also mentioned that she has used the toilet several times when there was no toilet paper and it was no big deal. She mentioned that Macy's will not pay for any of my medical bills or damages.

I asked to speak with upper management/Macy's legal counsel to report the incident to someone who could provide more information. She did not give me the information and argued with me instead. I asked her who her CEO was and she said she doesn't know who the CEO of Macy's is. I had been a loyal life long customer of Macy's until now. The customer service is absolutely terrible and the staff is unprofessional! I am extremely disappointed and will never shop at Macy's again!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Everything was resolved. KG helped me and I received a full refund. KG was the only representative who went the extra mile but she did and worked hard until everything was straightened out. I told her because of her I am a huge fan of Macy's and will tell everyone that Macy's is a great store, I love their merchandise and will continue to shop there.

Carol of St Thomas, Other on

Original Review

I don't live near a Macy's and had bought a black jumpsuit for $99 that I never wore and still had the tag "Macy's Tag" on it with the UPC and price. I mailed it to the returns warehouse that I have sent merchandise to before. I included my contact information but did not have a receipt although I shop at Macy's all the time (online) and have a Macy's credit card etc. I said I would take a gift card for whatever the current price is since I lost my receipt. I gave the tracking information for the package which was received by Macy's Warehouse in WV.

They are asking me for the UPC#. I didn't make a copy. I gave all the other info such as tracking number, item, price. They are saying that I am out of luck but can go to the store that I bought it at to return it. I don't have it they have it. Hello??? Is anybody home? Why can't Macy's do a return from Macy's? Why do they make returns so difficult. I love shopping at Macy's but the returns are a full time job and more than once I was never credited so NO MORE. NORDSTROM'S is great with shipping anywhere and makes returns easy. I am done! I am sick of throwing money away!

I recently visited the Lehigh Valley Mall Macy's. As I walked in to the Macy's i couldn't help myself but started looking for bargains in the Home Department, When i was approached by a young man that asked if i needed help finding anything, at first i said no but as he walked away i asked if an item that I was interested in would take a coupon. This young men started working with me from that point on, taking his time to explain and answer all my questions. By the time i was done shopping I was offer to have my items carried out because I had so much and so many items. I am sometimes hesitant to shop and ask for help, but this young man was courteous, patient, knowledgeable, and best of all did not pressure me to buy anything. This was one of my best shopping experience because of the exceptional customer service and professionalism from this young man. I would go back and shop with him again.

I'm dealing with a week long hassle of being overcharged for sale items, having five different orders cancelled by Macy's (yes they cancelled with no notice or a call) because they can't seem to understand that my address changed, and about 5 hours on the phone with robotic morons in some country that sounds like it is under water with accents that are very difficult to understand. Now I have received an email from them saying I must contact them AGAIN about my order. All of this when I have already received packages from Macy's at this address. I am now on hold for 20 mins. I WILL NEVER TRUST MACY'S AGAIN!

I have been shopping at Macy's since it changed names! I MISS RICH'S! What a shame... This store is so outdated. I can tell Macy's is losing customers! And you read about Macy's and the other stores as well! What is going on? You do not carry any good brands anymore / employees just standing around, no customers! It needs a makeover! Carpets are soiled and stained. Needs a complete overhaul!... Needs a fresh coat of paint! Dressing room are nasty. No chairs to sit in. Not bright, very dull. No life in it!

I used to work there during my college years and I can remember it being soo busy! I used to have a relative that worked in women's sportswear. She quit working there! NO MOTIVATION IN THE STORE! I go in there and it is dead! Gosh, Macy's used to have a big name! Where did it go? We really do not have a mall except where Macy's is... At Haywood Mall in Greenville, S.C. Maybe if some things changed in there it might be a better shopping experience! NOW the hours are changing! I think all the store managers need to get together with the CEO or something. It is going downhill! FAST!

Macy's is a terrible company. I will never shop there again and will continue to speak out against them in any available channel. I have been a Macy's credit card holder for 10 years. Last year, I paid double my bill to cover the nominal minimum balance payment. Each time I have paid double my bill, it will make my next minimum payment $0. Now, if Macy's had ALERTED me that I had a bill due, I would have promptly paid it. Macy's never mailed me a bill and I did not receive an email. Macy's tried to respond in my BBB complaint that it had an email on file that is not my email.

They will not remove the past due from my credit report even though I was never alerted to having a bill due. They are scammers, and this is how they treat customers of 10 years! Not to mention, when you pay off your bill, the interest will carry over to the next cycle, so you may end up in a position like me. Macy's won't contact you, their online bill system is completely unusable and then they will send you to collections and hit your credit report. If you are late on a payment, you should receive communication before being sent to collections! That is completely unacceptable! Macy's is the WORST.

I been a Macy's customer for years, used to be my favorite place to shop until couple of months ago because of the way that I feel, I'm aggravated and here is why. On Sep 10, 2016 I bought the Thanks for Sharing something that you guys run every year, I bought it in 2015 too and I think it was worth it. On Feb 7, 2017 I called customer service because I haven't receive my Thanks for Sharing gift card, and the person who picked up the phone said that they were still mailing them out, he even told me according to him how much I was getting.

A month went by and I still didn't get my card, I called them. The person on the phone told me that "I NEVER BOUGH IT". "Are you serious?" Thanks God that I have all my receipt email to me, yes I had to go thru all my Macy's receipt which are A LOT. I called them back and gave them the date of when I pay for this and they found it. According to this person he put a note in the computer that they were going to do and audit to find out how much money am supposed to get back and that they were going to send me a notice.

April 21st I still haven't received anything. I called them again; yes this is my 4 phone call regarding this issue. By the way at this time I'm super aggravated because this entire BS and the run around. I had to explain myself again to this other person. She looked in the notes and there was nothing written regarding my issue, she made a note and said that she was going to speak to her supervisor about what was going on she was really nice. She said she was going to call me back on Monday 4/24. She didn't.

On April 25th I called to make sure they were working on it and I guess they are finally working on this because the person who picked up told me about the notes. I'm really upset with Macy's Phone customer service, they shouldn't be telling people that they are going to do something and then just don't do it. I been a loyal customer for many years, always pay my bill on time. Never had any problems before until now, am even thinking about closing my account because of this. I was waiting for my gift card back in Feb because I wanted to use it during the friends and family. Now is April they are having another friends and family. I guess I will not be taking advantage because I don't have my gift card.

I wish Macy's would records all the conversations when we call customer service and they would see how bad their phone customer service is. I wanted to give corporate a phone call but didn't find a number online. Next time am at a Macy's store I'll make sure I speak with a manager to get more info on who to contact to for complains. Hopefully someone read this and just don't cross theirs arms.

MACY'S REALLY MESSED UP BIG TIME. I ordered my daughter's prom dress after the store didn't have her size. Picked it up from the UPS store and in the box was a BOX. NO DRESS. I called Macy's who then told me that the dress could not be located and there were no more in her size. REALLY. I am beyond pissed off. My daughter's prom is on May 20. FIX THIS NOW.

I paid for expedited shipping on order placed around 12 noon on 4/26 and was supposed to receive within 2-3 days. I called on the 29th and was told, and promised according to the rep's records, that I would have the package on Monday. However, the Macy's email link said May 4, 8 days later, UPS site said no info available, but rep was adamant that I would receive by May 1. The rep then stated he would credit back the shipping charges and to remember that when I responded to the survey. It was about his service, not the shipping issue. Red flag... I called UPS Monday May 1 and was told they had no package but did see that a manifest to a 3rd party was processed only today, May 1. 6 days to process and no update from Macy's that there was an issue.

Horrible experience with the Washington, DC staff. They ignored the elevator alarm ringing when me, my wife and our 17-month old baby were stuck in it for 15 minutes. Staff working in the Bags Dept. outside the elevator turned a deaf ear to it. Luckily a passing by customer heard us banging on the door and helped us out. Security staff working on the same floor also ignored the alarm and instead of apologizing for their mistake advices us to dial 911 if there was an emergency with us. How stupid can they be. Manager does not take responsibility of what happened and instead asks to complain to Macy's head office. Surely these guys don't take their jobs seriously and don't know what customer service actually means.

Macy's Company Profile