2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5
Based on 1,419 ratings submitted in the last year

Macy's Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I always buy my shoes at Macy's, have all kinds of shoes, boots, flats, tennis and athletic, sandals, flip flops. At times they have pop up sales, you can buy shoes at 1/2 price sometimes.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I had a great experience on shopping online at Macy's for cosmetics recently everything came in quick and fast. I usually use fragranceon.com. They also got quite amazing collection. Just check for coupons before you buy.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2020

I like going to Macy’s to buy certain types of jewelry, I have been going there for years and I always seem to find beautiful things there, I had bought my daughter gorgeous earrings and a matching ring too. That was 5 years ago and the earrings and the ring still look great. I have a lot of necklaces that I bought there too and a few rings. They hold up so well too. I do like going there because the people are always helpful.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

Horrible customer service - bunch of thieves. I ordered bunch of shoes (9 pairs) for myself and as gift for my visiting sister. I went to return couple of them and was told these are past due. I asked them their return policy is 90 days. I was told these were special products as they are special price so had to be returned in 30 days. I asked customer rep how would I know these are special product (they weren't designer just regular brand), it doesn't say so in order confirmation, shipping confirmation or order slip that comes with product. I looked into the app and it doesn't even say there these have special return policy so needs to be returned early. Rep's answer "as a consumer you should read ALL of the product details when you make purchase."

I looked at 50 plus shoes before selecting. Macy's expects we take notes on each pair of shoe. I have made purchase from other stores and each were clear about exception products in the order slip indicating if it's final no return product or with return date. Seems like Macy's has a nice loophole to exploit. I am returning all my recent purchases. I'm done with this place. They can keep my $50 and I'll take back my $500 returning all the other stuff. Macys should learn about customer service from Walmart or Forever 21. I have had better service from them and that's saying something.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I really did not need Macy's credit card, but the store clerk convinced me by telling me how great the card would be. I thought that I would give it a try. And this is the greatest thing that I have regret in my life! In 09/20, I asked to charge my credit number with the Macy's American Express for security reason, and I had paid my old account in full. But least as what I had expected, Macy's American Express charged me again of my old account amount for my new account, which means that Macy's charged me TWICE.

I called Macy's American Express and was spending literally over 2 hours speaking with a woman who sounded like Pilipino and constantly putting me on hold and spoke with somebody else, likely her supervisor. She was playing games with me -because, instead of credit the overcharge of $ 565.62 for the mistake Macy's made, she played game with and told me: "get a calculator, because you have a balance over $2000". I replied to her: "what difference does this make?! I have always paid my bill and I don't owe any credit card company any money." I clarified with her that because Macy's made the mistake and overcharged me, Macy's must correct it and stop overcharging me. She said that she would call me in a few days and give me the update. She never did what she promised.

The next month, which is 11/20, the overcharge was still on my account--in addition, there were late fee and interest charges. I called Macy's again and this time I asked to speak with a supervisor and a guy spoke with me and assured me that the overcharge has been corrected and told me not to worry about it. So I said to myself: "all right, I will give him some time to correct the mistake".

In 12/20, once again, when I received Macy's American Express statement, not only the overcharge was still there, but also, new interest and late fee charges! I called Macy's American Express again and I was told that the overcharge would be adjusted. In 01/21's billing cycle, the overcharge was still there and once again, as you can imagine--late fees and interest charge! I called again and I was told the same thing. Today, when I received my statement on 01/30/21, which I had only spent $8.04, but Macy's charges me $599.11! Of course, the same doubled and overcharge since 10/05/20 still there, along with late fee and interest.

I called again today and the guy from Macy's American Express told me that it would take two billing cycles to show the credit back to my account and he transferred me to collection department while I asked to speak to a supervisor and the woman, once again, sounds like a Pilipino, kept beating bushes and acted like she was 5 years old. I am sure anyone of you would be very angry and upset if you have been going through this kind of nightmare and mistake or purposely double and overcharged customer and potentially affect my credit score because of their mistake or intentionally overcharging me.

I have planned to close Macy's Credit card once the overcharge has been cleared and never use Macy's Credit card again or even give Macy's business again. I used to spend at least a few hundred dollars a year on Macy's. I am writing this review so that many of you guy might want to avoid Macy's so that you don't have to go through the hell and nightmare I have been going through with Macy's. There are some good credit card companies out there. I have been using Chase credit card for many years and never had any this kind of issue like with the Macy's! And I would not have post this review if Macy's American Express had been acting like a responsible and decent company or business!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

Today I had the worst customer service ever at Mall of America Macy's. So thing is the other day, I returned an online order for $160 in person with my ID at this store. I was told that I would get a check mailed to me. But when the mail came, it was not a check, it was a store CERTIFICATE with my friend's wife's name on it (she doesn't have any plans to spend this money at a Macy's store any time soon and I can't use it because it's non-transferable). Fyi, she and her husband are my roommates. And her order was returned by her husband at the same time as I did (we went to the store to return our orders together).

So I called customer service and after speaking with an agent, I was transferred to speak with someone who claimed to be the cosmetic department manager. She gave me a number with a statement that my case can be resolved by calling that number. So I called that number and after I explained the situation to an agent helping me, she told me to go to the store because only the store manager can solve my problem. I asked her what if I was again routed back to her. She confirmed that there would be no issue.

So today I went to the store with that friend of mine (who went to return our orders together on the other day), and guess what? Tom and Kristal claimed that they are the managers there (or pretended to be I'm not sure because Kristal said that she didn't speak with me on the phone the other day and there were only two managers there who are Tom and herself. So who was the person claimed to be the manager speaking with me on the phone?) told me that there is nothing they can do because I didn't return my order myself or I didn't give them my ID which I swear I DID.

My friend and I both swore that we came and returned our orders together, but they wouldn't believe us. And they kept going on blaming us that nothing would have happened if I returned my order in person with my ID which, again and again I told them, I DID. So I told them to look for my footage on their surveillance system on that day (the day and time I went to their store is on my receipt) and they said it was 1 month ago and the video would be deleted already (which I don't think they're being honest). So they kept going on blaming us again and again for the issue.

The FUNNY part is that my friend's wife only ordered ONE ORDER but now she got two refunds (one deposited directly to Macy's credit card and another one with a store certificate - this was supposed to be my refund). So we asked them to look up on that ghost order she received her certificate for and they couldn't find that order on their system. And the reason given to us was that once orders were returned, they couldn't be looked up. (Is this the way Macy's system works or are they just trying to lure us away? Well, I'm a software engineer working for a big e-commerce system and from my experience, what they said was not true, They're just trying to not try to solve the problem).

They kept going on lying and lying and blaming us. They claimed their system is bug-free (Oh well, no system is bug-free) and it's our fault to not return orders in person which AGAIN and AGAIN I had to tell them like a million times that I DID return my order in person with my ID. So instead of trying to see why this is happening, for an hour, they kept repeating that we didn't return our others in person and there's nothing they can do. Well if your managing job is all about blaming your store's faults on your customers and not even try to listen to them then oh well I have nothing to say.

At the end, at least a staff suggested an idea, which previously claimed to be impossible by these two managers, was then agreed by. The idea is I have to take my friend's wife with me to the store when I want to buy something in order to use that store certificate. I guess they just didn't want to help an asian customer like me. And to be honest, both my friend and I felt the same way, being discriminated.

Well I was open to any ideas that would work but was really mad because of the way their managers treated us, their customers. Stop blaming your faults on your customers and help them out with ideas/solutions. Well, after I successfully use that store certificate. I will never ever buy anything from Macy's ever again. Such a bad customer service you have Macy's.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I bought a beautiful necklace for my wife from Macy’s only to have it arrive broken. Within a couple days we did a return and mailed it back very promptly. We were told we would be refunded in 3-5 days and now it has been over 20 days and no refund. Worst shopping experience ever. Still wondering when I am going to receive my refund.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

My wife purchased a necklace and they sent us the wrong one. We sent it back the next day. Now they won't give our payment back. They want to give us a gift card. Should we contact the credit card company and stop payment. We waited almost 4 weeks for the item to be shipped 80 miles.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Macy's read your reviews!! Your American customers hate being routed to India to talk to someone who they cannot understand one word they are saying. I have had the worst experience ever with your India call center including one with roosters crowing in the background. I have tried and tried to get a credit for something I sent back and cannot do it as my 4 calls to India never got it done. I am cutting my Macy's credit card up and my Maurice's card (owned by Macy's) card up and Macy's you can just you know what. Nightmare. Don't shop at Macy's and use a Macy's card!!!! Nightmare

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I ordered a living room set on October 4th and received an email the following day that it would arrive on 12/27. From October 5th to December 29th I received no communication from anyone. I called and they told me 12/27 was when it arrived in the warehouse and it would take 10 days to be taken off the truck. I said that no-one ever told me that and asked why I hadn't received ANY communication from them. I was only made aware of this because I called them. The person on the phone had no sympathy for my call and was unable to help any further.

I called the sales person, who did gave sympathy because evidently actual delivery of furniture is a chronic issue for her. She contacted customer service on my behalf and when she called me back relayed that living room set had in fact NOT been received in their warehouse. That the set was broken down by Macy's to be shipped in 3 separate deliveries, approx 2 weeks apart from one another with estimated dates going out to February 9th. Ottoman first, love seat, and sofa last. Dates were best estimates and unconfirmed.

There is evidently no option to escalate, you can either accept the situation or cancel. Given it was supposed to be a Christmas gift and it's gone on this long, it's difficult to back out - which I think maybe what macy's counts on. This is bait and switch - it's not right. One last thing. When you buy furniture at Macy's and they say "lowest price of the year". Keep an eye on it. I found the price actually lowered further by 300.00. If you tell them, they will lower the cost.

Macy's Company Information