Macy's

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased a recliner for $647.04 at the Roseville, MN Home Store. Since Macy does not allow customers to pick up the item themselves, I had to pay a $65 delivery fee. Could not recline the chair. Within the required 3 day return policy I contacted Macy and told them I would like to return it. They had a tech come out to see if he could loosen the chair so it would recline easier. I still could not do it with ease. Had the chair picked up within the week to return it.

At the time of purchase, I didn't understand there would be a restocking fee and I would not get the delivery fee back. I see the salesperson did star the restocking fee paragraph, but we did not discuss it in length, therefore, I did not comprehend what was to happen. I received $496.55 back. I have to pay $150.49 and I have no chair. After much discussion with three customer service reps, I did get them to waive the pickup fee. I have learned to be aware of restocking fees when purchasing furniture. Also, I will not shop at Macy's home store again.

I have had a Macy's credit card virtually unused and good standing for 11 years. I went to make a purchase roughly one to two years ago and was told that my card deactivated likely due to non-use. No problem, associate tells me "I can reactivate your existing card." I proceeded to make a purchase and years later I find two Macy's cards on my credit report. I have since reported this to Macy's but have had no response. My BBB complaint is prepared and I'm also preparing for legal action in the event of my credit report has been affected adversely in the slightest way. Be careful at Macy's... It may have been a rogue associate that did this but Macy's is still responsible.

I was locked out of my online account. After numerous calls and waiting times I finally got through to someone in tech support. Who explained that the reason my account was locked was that I hadn't changed my password in 3 months!!?? I have to change my password every 3 months? With no requests or reminders about this? The woman told me she would send me an email within the hour to unlock/reset my password. The email never came. When I called back and complained the rep said she would send me a courtesy coupon... never came! I am now on hold AGAIN waiting for tech support. Customer service is horrendous!

Hello I had a horrible experience with a counterfeit fragrance that was said to been shipped from one of your warehouses. Customer service has continually lied to me and is very very rude. I had a very bad contact dermatitis reaction to a fake Dolce & Gabbana light blue. I have purchased this product from your dept stores for many years however this gift set was not available at any Macy's near me. At first I thought they had changed to product packaging but, on further investigation I confirmed that the product packaging has never changed. I have begged customer service to help me, twice they said they forwarded my complaint to your "Executive Dept". Then they told me they couldn't contact anyone to help me that I had to do it myself. I would like to resolve this matter ASAP without any further unnecessary actions. Customer service is absolutely downright uninformed, rude and of no help.

Recently purchased $600+ worth of clothing online and in store. Entered Macy's promo code/shopping pass, online. When CC info was entered and submitted the promo code mysteriously was taken off on the next screen. Items rang up higher price. Immediately called customer service and told it would be adjusted. Fast forward a week later and decided to go shopping in store, shopping pass AGAIN not accepted. Called to complain yet again and as promised code was applied and they apologized for inconvenience.

Two weeks later I needed to return 4 of the items that didn't fit right. Mailed them and warehouse received items but no refund. Two weeks later I called 3 separate occasions only to be told, because I had the promo price adjusted that would be my credit... What!!! Explained to three reps, but each one says the same scripted message. Macy's has my returned items but will not refund me the $ for the items they now have. Unacceptable and unethical practices by Macy's!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?

I was charge on my inactive card by Macy's accounting time, instead of putting the charge as a credit it was put as a charge. Over 6 months ago, I keep calling regarding this matter. It takes one hour everytime on the phone then I get a response, "We are sorry this is happening but we are still working on it as we are backed up." Meanwhile interest and fees are charged on an inactive account and affecting my credit. I have been an Elite Customer for Macy's for over 15 years and this is how they manage my account... Maybe need to get them to Channel & so they have the time and hire enough reps to close those non-legit issues!

Horrible, horrible customer service. Called 3x for the correct item. They told me the second time the item was available in the correct size I had originally wanted & when I got my order it was in the wrong color!!! When I ordered it over the phone for the second time for the correct size and color the guy told me everything was good to go and available. Got it in the mail today when I ordered it a week ago. Wrong color. So I called in.

The lady was flustered with my reaction and confused on what happened. Passed me to the supervisor Darwin. Horrible, horrible customer service. How is it fair that the time of my order my item I wished for and size was available and when I called in because it's the wrong color he tells me it's no longer available? I ordered this the 17th of march. It is now the 23rd. My original order was the 12th. Got it in black but not the right size. Why do I lose out on an item I've been wanting and ordered 2x for nothing in return. Horrible experience ever!

Paid extra for 2-3 business day shipping on Sunday. Expected arrival by Wednesday which is 3 business days. However, they consider when the item is ready to be shipped from their warehouse to be the day of order and the 2-3 day count doesn't start until the item leaves their warehouse. What the heck is that???

I recently visited a new city, saw a Macy's and decided to check it out. While there I purchased a 10 pc set of All-Clad Stainless Steel Cookware. On the actual product someone had placed a store sticker with the price of $699 for the set of 10 while the sign in the store read $999 for the 10 pc set. One cashier told us that we could have the set for the $699 price so I decided to buy it with an additional stock pot. Another employee, possibly a supervisor, berated her in front of us for allowing us to purchase it at the "sale price". She said that was a pre-buy and we should not be able to get it for that price. On the way home, I stopped at my local Macy's to see if they had other pieces I could add to my new set.

I purchased an additional saucepan and a 12" fry pan that was not part of the 10 pc set. After I got home I looked up the set online so that I could see if there was more I could add. Online I saw that the set was indeed $699 and ALL the other pans were also all on sale. I was charged full price at my local Macy's! I went back to Macy's, print out in hand and was refunded my overcharge. I don't think I should have to bring in an advertised price to get an item in the store for that price. Is their communication that bad? I am not happy about the service I received in both locations.

Been a Macy's card holder for about 20 years and I've always received a monthly statement. Somehow Macy's stopped sending them to me and I didn't' realize until a credit agency mailed me a letter to negotiate a settlement for my account. I had charged $55.06 in Sept of 2016 and with the fees the bill was now $194.06. I spoke to three different people (all they way up to corporate) and the best they could do was remove two fees and drop the total to $120. Macy's takes no responsibility for ensuring that your statement is mailed and went so far as to say the statement is only a "courtesy reminder" as you should know you owe the money. If you don't pay the bill they promise to ruin your credit and put you in collections.

The most interesting thing is that once I paid the $120 I got three pieces of mail from Macy's the following week. It's amazing how they can get the mail to me now but can't explain 5 months of no mail??? My suggestion is to call the corp assistant as she claims she gets very few complaints of this sort, yet the internet is riddled with tons of complaints of this nature. Her name is Kerri **. Her number is (888) 622-9793 ext ** - perhaps if corporate is more aware they might actually do something to rectify the issue. For now it seems like a scam to me, so I will never step foot in a Macy's store ever again.

When I purchased my rug, the salesman told me about getting the Worry No More plan to protect against anything that damage the rug and would cover up to 7 years. He also suggest I purchase the padding which I did after he showed me how soft the extra cushion felt. As soon as I got the rug, the shag was coming off but I thought it was the left over shags coming off since it was new. I decided to give it about a month thinking I have 7 years with the Worry No More Plan I purchased. But I have a very huge and heavy sectional couch sitting in it. Slowly the shags were coming off and I was very busy and thought if I have 7 years that covers anything damage to the rug so I decided to put it off since I'm very busy anyways.

Finally I decided to give Macy's a call. They told me I was out of manufacture warranty and I told them I had the Worry No More Plan. I spoke to someone at Macy's and I was told that my protection plan doesn't cover for shags. And the manufacturer warranty was only for 1 year. I explained that the salesman lie to me saying it'll cover everything. I didn't realized that I had purchased my rug, pad and Worry no More Plan just passed the 1 year. Since the salesman no longer works there, they said there's nothing they can do. If I had known that my Worry No More Plan only covers stains, I would of course called within 1 year since my rug was defective. The salesman lied to me and now he's gone.

I spoke to Azi and her boss Jaime (lady) and they kept saying they'll call me back which they never did. When I spoke to Jaime, she told me the best she can do is give me back my warranty money since I never used it. Then I never heard back from them. A few months passed by and Azi and other salespeople told me that the sales manager will call me back. My younger kids fell several times including my baby and got scrapes from the rug and the cheap padding that was so hard.

I called back because I have enough of this defective rug and hard padding (obviously not the same padding the salesman demonstrated when I purchased it). I was trying to at least get my money back from Worry No More Plan since Jaime (she) said I can get back and trying to return the padding since it's not the soft cushion padding I purchased. Azi and the other salespeople said their boss will call me back. Again, nothing and refuses to give me the contact information. I don't know what else to do. I was lie to.

I thought Macy's sale high quality rugs and was honest about their products. But I purchased a defective rug with shags falling off so much, it's going bare and my padding is as hard as a cement floor since my babies are getting scrapes from the fall or just them crawling on it. I hate this rug and the padding. I hate their horrible services which they lied about to get people to purchased. Because of them ignoring my needs and being lied to, I'm afraid to purchased anything from Macy's. They obviously don't care about the customers or they would at least get this issue resolve. Now I'm losing so much and all they care about is making money by lying.

I opened my account just before Christmas and when trying to make my monthly payments I have been told that they will not accept credit/debit card payments over the phone or online but they did accept it for the first payment as a courtesy to me but they want my checking account information to put in their system. I do not have checks only a debit card. So I am going to travel 40 miles to the store where they do accept debit card payments and pay off my account and cancel my account and never buy from them again.

I have placed ten phone calls to Macy's in Traverse City Michigan to refund a credit card purchase at Christmas. A $250 purchase that was partially shipped where I received $65 worth of product. I have talked with 3 different people and no one can even retrieve the transaction. Verbally they keep saying they realize the error but no correction. Avoid this store for anything you do not walk out with and you are sure a return is not necessary. Poorly run. Staff turnover. Go elsewhere.

For 4 months I have been trying to access my credit card information under my account information. I login into Macy's and spend money in a heart beat. But when I want to see what I owe Macy's or when a payment is due I am blocked. I call Macy's customer service line... explain my problem. At this time I am told Macy's is aware of the problem and is working in it. This is a standard answer for a large company who wants to keep customers happy. It is not working... just fix the problems with your IT department. Macy's pushes everyone to go electronic then they inhibit you from seeing any information on what you may owe. I will pay off this account and leave this as a lesson learned.

Macy's protection plan thru http://worrynomore.com/ is the worst product I have ever purchased. We started our claim process in October 2016. After multiple calls with Macy's Worry No More we still have not gotten any resolution. They have sent out a technician in November to view the furniture and take pictures. This company is again asking for us to take pictures and send it to them. Every time we call the story changes and the status of our claim is somehow lost. Our last call today 1-800-916-6229, was with a Supervisor name Monica that was not only rude but had no reasonable solutions. DO NOT BUY THIS PROTECTION PLAN!! It is a waste of time and money!!!

Macy's have very shady way to handle credit cards with their online shop -- unlike any other online shop (including Amazon), they accept your card, place a reserve to your card, but do not charge your card. After some period, they try to charge your card again, but many banks simply deny the double payment due security. So, receiving a message from Macy's -- "Your purchase could not be processed, and request to call to Customer Service" -- where you redo you order and your card is verified on phone. And the same happens after 24 hrs again -- canceled. Reason is simple -- Macy's cannot take foreign cards or accept PayPal payment from foreign accounts, as their system do not allow foreign addresses. Welcome to 20th century Macy's! My money goes to competitors, where my money is welcome & Customer Service at least can say, "Sorry"!

I was in the store this morning 2/18/17. No salesperson was at the costume jewelry counter. I had a question regarding a pair of earrings costing $22.00. I wanted to ask if I could try on one of the earrings. As I was holding the card that held the rather big earrings a woman approached the counter next to me. I moved. She moved. I walked to the left. She came around the right. It was obvious to me she was security and we were the only two people in the small area of Yorktown Heights NY store. She wore all black. The jacket had a logo name in white and she had a cell phone ear attachment in black that was huge.

She made me feel so uncomfortable that I approached her and asked her "Do you know if trying on earrings is allowed?" She said, "No go over to the cosmetic counter and ask them." What is Macy's coming to when a customer is subjected to obvious stalking? I know Macy's is not doing well for sure if they hire a security company like this... PS. I left the store buying nothing!

I ordered some pajama pants along with a few other things. I received my order but not one of the pajamas. I tracked the rider and it was in a different state. I assumed it was delivered separately and waited a few more days. After a week, I emailed the customer service and they told me that I never ordered the pajama pants and asked me what pajamas I think I ordered. I had to send a screenshot TO them showing I paid for the pajama pants. Then they told me I had the wrong address and I asked them why the other items in the same order arrived though. Then they told me that they never had those pants stocked on their website and I had to prove that too. Ugh. Then they offered a refund and I said sure. They refunded me two different times and, two months later, sent me an email saying the pajama pants I ordered just made it back to their facility and a return will be processed. Do they even know what they're doing?

Today I went into Macy's to pickup an order I placed online. The process was confusing as the email asked that I come to the Misses Department. One sales representative said Misses was a large section and I was confused as to how or where the item ordered was to be picked up. Then the same sales rep. told me to go over to online pickup. I was asked for my id and presented it to the rep. in online pickup. I then closed my ladies wallet after a few minutes. Then the rep asked to me to show it again and I told him "I just showed you my id." I could not understand why he wanted it twice. Then he said there was something he needed to enter. I believe as others have stated that Macy's is very racist in regards to African American customers.

One thing I do not understand is why white customers spend so much money at Macy's. I do not see the hype or reason to buy overpriced merchandise. I myself only shop at Macy's when something is needed and only on sale days. Why would I pay $200 for something Macy's is going to offer you later for half that on sales days? I just do not get it.

IF I can actually get to my account page (without Safari telling me that Macy's dropped contact) and I request a return label, then again the Safari drops the website. Stating too much action on the server. AND if you actually try to contact a live person (in India) heaven help you. I was ACTUALLY TALKING to a representative and she told me that she could no longer talk with me because she was having technical difficulties due to high volume. I tried to push her saying "But not difficulty now that I am taking to you," and she went into the mantra.

I just spent 30 or more minutes on the phone. On my online account they have one item that does not go into my cart. All other Macy's items go into my cart. I only have one other item in there. All I wanted was someone to put this item into my cart or find out if it was out of stock even though it says it's in stock. When I press add it just keeps cycling. The first person at the sales dept kept ignoring me and saying okay what is your credit card number. I said I didn't want to purchase it on the phone, just put this item in my cart. Then she would ignore me again and say "So if you just give me your card number..." I told her I had used Firefox and Chrome & everything else worked fine except this one item. She then said to check my internet connection. I said my internet is fine it is this one item. She said, "You probably have too many items in your cart." I told her I had 1 item. So finally (but her tone was super rude) she sent me to tech support. Hahaha.

The woman there (seriously sounded like the same one, it seriously might have been) didn't ask for my account, or the item number and said she was not able to help me with this and would send me back to Macys.com. I said I didn't understand, was that person a tech support? She said "It is Macys.com. They can help you." So I get sent back (though it sounds like same person again) and now being asked for the item number. She then said she put it in my cart. So I refreshed everything and it was still not in my cart. She told me AGAIN to delete all history and close everything again. It was not in my cart. Then she said, "Give me your credit card." I said, "Wait are you tech support?" She said, "No just customer service." I think she just LIED about putting it in my cart. It's still not in there.

She supposedly put me back 2nd time to tech support. Sounds like same woman. And funnily says her name is the same as mine. And said she could put the item in her own cart. After putting me on hold. You could hear her snacking also. Probably laughing as well. Probably the same exact person. I finally gave up. I will NEVER purchase anything from them again. Seriously sick people working on customer support who don't give a crap, treat people disrespectfully but say "Ma'am" a lot, ignore what you are saying, talk over you. It's like talking to a 7th-grade girl who bullies other teens. That's how it felt. I noticed their number is 1800buymacy. Not very subtle huh. Nope. Done. I was in a good mood before that. I'm certain it was someone who didn't want to work, wanted to just eat chips and was also just messing with customers for fun. Sociopath behavior.

Since July 2016 (it is now February 2017), Macy's website cannot connect to the bill-pay at their bank (Citibank). To make matters even worse, Macy's states that they have sent paper statements, but the paper statements never arrive. Macy's is flirting with extinction - more than one person I know has shut down their Macy's account and turned in the card back to Macy's. There should be a way for Macy's to rectify this website error of not being able to connect to Citibank and thus not being able to pay online. I would like the problem fixed.

DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT IF POSSIBLE. This is one of the most mousy credit cards I've ever had to deal with. I made a purchase May 2016 for about $30. I made an error and paid a balance slightly short of $30, and for the past 6 months they've proceeded to charge me with a "minimum $2 interest charge". Their email notifications never indicate that you have an outstanding balance. I caught this around September/October 2016, yet they proceeded to charge me for another three months because of the way they calculate their rolling interest. I caught this today and canceled the card, but I have no faith that they won't continue to charge me $2. You'd think that after you pay a balance in full they'd stop charging you, but clearly this is not the case. Then when you want to log back into your account to pull up the 6 months of interest, their website is conveniently down for maintenance.

On September 9, 2009 I lost my wife to ovarian cancer at the age of 44, after my wife death my wife sister and her niece probated my wife estate without my knowledge, and told the court my wife was not married. They froze all of my assets in Bank accounts. I fell behind on my Macy's account, I was able to get this matter resolved. I paid Macy's over $1,500.00. I brought my account current. On or about May of 2010. I moved to Florida, I contacted Macy's to set up an auto bill pay. I explain to them I will be leaving the country, doing that time I had a credit limit of $3,000.00 with a balance under $220.00. Macy's proceeded to collect the money from my checking account through the auto bill pay I set up.

After one year I returned back to the U.S. I discovered a derogatory reporting by Macy's on my credit report. I contacted Macy's concerning this matter, I was told by a representative the bill pay I set up was good for one year. I told the representative I was not informed of this when I set up the auto bill pay. I stated I had a balance with Macy's under $50.00 and was told the new balance is $216.00. I disputed the amount, I tried to get Macy's to remove this from my credit report in return I will pay the amount of the balance of $50.00. I was told this account is in collection, I will have to pay the full amount. I refuse to pay the amount requesting. I am extremely shocked the way Macy's handle my complaint. From 2015 to 2016 I purchased over $2,460.00 at Macy's. I am not doing business with Macy's any more, I will not recommend this company to anyone.

I needed a warm blanket since I just moved to the mountains and found a good buy online from Macy's. Actually this was the first time I ever bought anything from Macy's. Too expensive for me but when I saw the price I ordered it online. The website really wasn't very good and my order never went through so I had to use the phone and call in the order. This was on December 18th 2016 and I talked to Julieth who placed the order for a king-size Berkshire blanket the color Prosecco. The total came to $19.63 which I use my debit card to pay. When I took off the blanket today to wash it the blanket was completely shedding all over my comforter and my sheets.

I posted a picture of this mess of a blanket on my Facebook and on Macy's Facebook and it was probably an automatic, very quick reply asking if there's anything else they can do to help. I have not heard back since I want my money back even though it's not very expensive. I don't know how they can possibly sell a piece of trash like this. Never in my life have I ever seen such shedding on a blanket! This is a first and I'll never be shopping at Macy's ever again. They didn't even offer a refund. Since I'm stuck with this blanket I'm actually going to donate it to the animal shelter here to at least keep dogs warm but I don't know if they would even take it! :(

My 64 year old mother went to Macy's in August 2016. The woman at her local Macy's counter in Queens told her the face cream she wanted was not currently in stock, but she'd take my mom's info and let her know when it arrived, then charge her. A few days later my mom noticed they had already charged the full amount even though she hadn't received the product. She went down to the store and told the salesgirl to cancel and refund the order. The salesgirl "promised" she did. Lo and behold, instead of refunding the charges, they somehow refunded, then charged again, then tacked on more charges. The total bill ended up being close to $200 by September... for a product my mom never received and had requested a refund for within the approved refund time.

Macy's called her to collect the bill for 3 months. My mom told me every time she spoke to them they'd assure her the account was fixed, the charges were lifted, then 2 weeks later the calls would start again. Initially I didn't believe her because what major company is that inept? Then I called myself on January 10th 2017. It took about 20 minutes to get a customer service agent on the phone who couldn't help me at all. Then another 20 minutes to get another agent on the phone. Then (yup) another 20 to 30 minutes to get another agent who just kept insisting the charges were correct, and when I became frustrated at their bald-faced lying, she hung up on me.

Then I went online and used Macy's customer chat and chatted with an agent for 3 hours. He seemed super helpful, and after much, much confusion and speaking to many departments, he ultimately concluded my mom did not owe anything and all of the charges were in error (surprise!!). He again assured me that this time the issue was fixed, it would take effect within 1 to 2 billing cycles, and he gave me a Case ID so I could have peace of mind.

Yesterday on January 25th 2017, an agent from Macy's billing called to collect the $200+ bill I do not owe. I checked my account online and sure enough, instead of removing the false charge they just tacked a late fee and an interest charge on it. It took a while for me to get the woman to understand that I didn't just want her to remove the late fee & interest -- the entire balance was false!! She "fixed it" and again assured me that this is really the last time. We will see if that's the case. After the call I sent 2 messages to Macy's customer service hoping for a written response from them. They emailed me claiming they responded via "secure message" on their credit card site, but sure enough when I went to check the message the website didn't work.

This is the most mind-boggling, underhanded, ridiculous experience I have ever had and I don't understand why it's legal. Please know the Macy's credit card is a complete scam and they seem to unfortunately be targeting elderly people. Truly despicable and I am still waiting to see if the 8th times' the charm and my mother's issue will really be resolved. Most likely it won't and we will have to pursue legal action.

I love Macy's. The only thing I would like Macy's to improve on is the diamond stud earrings, should have a more secure back clasp to hold the earrings securely attached in place on the ear lobe. I purchased 3 pairs of diamond stud earrings and each time I wear them I have to check my ears too often to make sure my studs have not slipped off and gotten lost. I also have to pinch the back clasp to move it back in place.

I had to recently contact Macy's customer service because of a broken Michael Kors phone cover I received. It was a nightmare. The customer service reps spoke very broken English and, even though they agreed to send me a replacement immediately, they sent it to the wrong address. Apparently, a lot of companies are routing their calls overseas to deal with US customer service issues. When I called back to tell them they sent it to the wrong address, they ended up charging me because they had already sent one replacement. The replacement they sent to the wrong address, which of course to this day I have never received.

Fortunately, I paid through PayPal and did receive a refund once I got them involved. I used to love Macy's, but their customer service sucks. I actually found myself looking for a pair of shoes the other night but refused to look at Macy's because of my experience. More and more US companies are closing and I doubt Macy's is far behind if this is the type of service they offer.

Having been trying to get onto the Macy's website for 3 days. It states my user id or password is not correct when I know it is correct. I have clicked on the reset password link to get an email sent to me over 10 times and I have yet to get an email from Macy's. I contacted Macy's and they state they are making big enhancements to their system for February and it will not be working for a couple of days. I told them that doesn't get my bill paid. They told me to call tomorrow morning but I work early as I have an offshore team in India and I can't call during the time their Credit Dept. is open. I always pay on the website. So don't get a Macy's credit card.

WHEN I see cute clothes online I check to see if it's in the store. It's not. I live near Daytona Beach Fl and Sanford FL. Why don't you carry the nice selection of tops and jeans in these stores? You always have to order the items pay shipping and handling, WHICH YOU DON'T GET THE SHIPPING FEES BACK IF YOU HAVE TO RETURN THE ITEM. SHAME ON MACY'S. Now I see why people tell me to not shop at Macy's!!!

Macy's Company Profile