1.60/5

1370 Macy's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Very poor customer service. Actually, I will give 0 star if I can, they don’t take responsibility for their own mistakes. This company can hurt your credit and can even answer a simple question. I reported my dissatisfaction to one of their supervisors, and when I told him that I wanted to cancel my account because of the issue, he acted like he didn’t care, and responded, "OK, SURE let me transfer you to that department." No customer satisfaction nor customer retention effort.

I was not going to leave a bad review, but after sending the email confirmation to Macy's as proof that I updated my account, I received a voicemail from their credit department, so I called this morning, and again I got the same excused from the rep. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, they put me on hold for, and they hang up the phone after me waiting for 38 minutes. Now I know why companies like this keep going out of business, just in 2018 they closed 11 stores. 1. Laguna Hills Mall, Laguna Hills, CA, 2. Westside Pavilion, Los Angeles, CA, 3. Novato (Furniture), Novato, CA, 4. Stonestown Galleria, San Francisco, CA, 5. The Oaks, Gainesville, FL, 6. Miami (Downtown), Miami, FL, 7. Magic Valley Mall, Twin Falls, ID, 8. Honey Creek Mall, Terre Haute, IN, 9. Birchwood Mall, Fort Gratiot Township, MI, 10. Fountain Place, Cincinnati, OH, 11. Burlington Town Center, Burlington, VT.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I ordered a few tops online & chose to pick them up in the store. It took over an hour for the store associates to figure out my order, they often say they have "SYSTEM PROBLEMS". I asked them if a coupon could be applied & they said they had to scan the item, which they did, and of course I couldn't use the coupon. But they actually created a new order which then charged my credit card. I called and spoke with 6 different people, everyone of them saying that I had to talk to someone else and SYSTEM PROBLEMS. Then they told me to open a claim with my bank because they couldn't see the charge on their end.

After 5 hours of phone call time, I spoke with the store manager who said I have to drive back to the store with my credit card so they could apply the credit! I got rid of my Macy's charge card a year ago because of fraud charges. Too many problems with Macy's, I will never shop there again. Their customer service is ill trained and incompetent. Don't place online orders!!!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I bought clothing online trying to save money on the delivery charge. I get to the store and had to pick my stuff in two different parts of the International Mall Macy's (Miami). We go to the women's section, they give me a package and tell me to proceed to the men’s section for the rest, I do so. When we arrive, they tell the rest of our purchase is in the women's section so they had to call a manager to clear everything up. Ended up WASTING 45 minutes in a process that was supposed to last 10 minutes. Horrible customer service, won’t buy online from Macy's again.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Trying to make people in another country understand the workings of the United States Postal Service is a dead end. I have a recurring problem with them shipping to the wrong address. Right now my grandson’s coat is in never Neverland and they refuse to work with me until next week even though it was supposed to be delivered yesterday. Pathetic.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Macy’s is now worse than shopping at the Dollar Store! Ship to wrong address, AND HAD TO ATTEND WEDDING WITH NO GIFT. TRIED TO RE ORDER. Took hours on the phone and then for some odd reason the second order was canceled. Foreign speaking... impossible to understand outsourced employee. Hung up on me. Called back. On hold for hours... then finally got another hard to understand employee who “transferred” me to a nonworking phone number. Cannot understand the outsourced employees that are supposed to help me. IT USED TO BE MY FAVORITE BUT now I HATE MACY'S. AVOID AT ALL COST OR PAY THE PRICE IN TIME.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Wow, a simple catalog removal turns into an identity theft "concern". Com'on, don’t give me the run-around, it’s not ethical. I hate throwing catalogs into the trash and Macy's just keeps sending them and tries to make it as hard as possible to unsubscribe, remove from their mailing list. Why spending money to send catalogs to people who don't even want or even hate it?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I purchased a necklace and earrings over the phone from a brochure I received in the mail. The man who helped me said he would have someone call me the next day and give me the sale price, and he would follow up. Neither happened. The items were listed as 14k gold. When I received them, they were a 14K gold over SS. I called their Customer Service 4 times to have the prices switched to the sale price and I was promised it was taken care of. It NEVER WAS so I am returning them and closing my account.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Purchased shoes; could not return. The shoes felt fine in the store. Wore them outside as shoes are intended to be worn. The straps gave me a rash and dug into either side of my foot. I brought them back and they said as I wore them outside, I can not return them. Lesson; Do not purchase shoes from Macy's!!! The shoes may feel fine when wearing in the store, it may be a completely different experience after wearing them for a day or so.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I purchased a lot of stuff last Black Friday from the ads. I submitted the rebate form for 7 items to get rebate back but I never get the rebate at all. I called in today and they said nothing they can do because the promotion already closed. This is stupid and I will never shop at Macy's ever again like I used to. I hope you guys will learn something from my experience that dont ever trust rebate at Macy's, yes especially at Macy's because I never have this difficult time at other rebates at other stores before.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I purchased a dinnerware set online and chose to have it picked up in store. Once confirmed in store that it was there, I go and pick it up. I head home and open it and it’s damaged. I should have known because when I went to pick it up in the store, the box my set was packaged in had no “Fragile” wording on the box. First issue - my dinnerware set was not packaged properly. I call customer care because I purchased it online and the first person I spoke to ordered a replacement. Second issue - The representative sounded like he had no idea what he was doing. Didn’t verify that the replacement package was being sent to the store. He even told me to throw away the broken set and because I didn’t trust it, I decided to bring it into the store. I bring it into the store where I picked it up and left it there for them to ship back. I ask the store to verify that a replacement order was put in place.

The supervisor assured me that there was but the problem is, is that they have no way of tracking it. He said most likely it would be sent to the store just like the original order. Third issue - Next day, I get a confirmation that my delivery should be in store two days later but that I saw my shipping address was my billing address and not the store. I called Macy’s again and the rep assured me it’s being sent to the store. Fourth issue - The day of the expected delivery date in store, I get an email from UPS saying my package is being sent to my billing address and not the store. I am raging at this point. I called Macy’s AGAIN and at this point I’m angry. The rep proceeds to tell me the same lie and the moment I tell her the same tracking number on my order that’s in the email from UPS is saying it’s being sent to my billing address which I am no longer physically located near.

After being on hold for about 15-20 mins, she confirms that it’s being sent to my billing address. At this point I can no longer waste any more energy on this. I tell the rep I want my money back and that I no longer want the package. She then proceeds to tell me that once it’s back in the warehouse, I should get my money back within 7-10 business days! What a joke. Macy’s needs to stop outsourcing their customer service because these people don’t know what they are doing. Last time I purchase anything from Macy’s. Macy’s is literally on the brink of closing down all their stores and I can’t not wait till that happens. They don’t deserve my money or anyone else’s. I decide to order my dinnerware set from Amazon and it’s 15$ more but worth knowing I will have my package in two days and that it won’t be damaged in transit. BEWARE - DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. BUY FROM SOMEWHERE.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I purchased a pair of shoes online using my husband's Macy's card but the shoes were too big so I took them back to the store for an exchange. I had to take them to Finish Line in Macy's and the man helping me was so rude to me, I was taken aback by his behavior. First he questioned why I purchased men's shoes for myself. That was none of his business, though Converse are unisex and he should know that as an athletic shoe salesman. Second, he said he wasn't going to put it back on my credit card, even though I showed him my online receipt and order number because the card was in my husband's name. I was like okay, but I want an exchange and he refused.

I took the box and went to customer service to ask for a manager. It took her 15 minutes to come down. After she ordered another person to do a gift card transaction. He didn't seem to know how and she had walked away so it took him 25 minutes. He reordered my shoes with the gift card and threw it away. I asked for a receipt just in case. Two weeks went by, no shoes. So I called customer service. No shoes had been ordered on the card. And since I didn't have the physical gift card, oh well. I gave them the receipt number and they said they reordered it.

A two weeks later-no shoes. I called again. My receipt has faded by now (which the agent was like receipts don't fade - on this cheap paper it did, so...), but I called anyway. They claimed the card was blocked because I gave the wrong zip code (on a gift card?) and I would have to return to the store that gave me issues to fix it. They were rude and interrupted me every time I tried to speak. So far, I was questioned about my purchase based on gender stereotypes, refused an even exchange even with an online receipt, told something was ordered when it wasn't, and then told it was my problem and to return to the store if I wanted it solved. I won't shop there again for anything after the way I have been treated and I am considering other legal options at this time all because I wanted to buy $60 Converse.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Macy's West Valley fraudulently charged $291.67 transaction on my Macy's credit card on 12/31/17. Reported to the customer support and it turned out to be total waste of time and efforts. Most of the times call went to their customer support center in Philippines. Terrible experience dealing with those reps. (CAT- Employee id ** wasted my one and half hour ending the call by at the end saying "I don't have information to help you.") I closed my credit card account and let go my loss...

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Macy's is definitely involved in deceptive practices. I had an expired credit card with Macy's. Was told by an associate that will be renewed on the spot. The next thing I know I have a second credit card. Macy's states that I would have been asked for my income at the time and possibly other information which I surely would not have provided as that would not be necessary to renew my card. I clearly stated that I did not want a new card and associates stated that they were simply renewing my existing account which was a blatant lie. I immediately cancelled both cards which impacted my credit score.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Absolutely the worst customer service ever!!! I ordered a new dresser that was delivered but arrived damaged so I had to refuse the order. Macy’s promised to correct the issue and deliver a new piece. Delivery day comes and no call confirming the appointment so we call customer service but just get stuck in an endless loop of automated prompts. I then resorted to email. No reply. So then I tried online chat. They told me that they couldn’t help me and disconnected without connecting me to anyone that could help. Absolutely the worst!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I purchased a number of products at macys.com and received Star Money. I then made additional purchases using both the Star Money and my Macy's credit card. Many of the products were returned (I didn't like them) and the refund process became a nightmare. Then I received my Macy's credit card bill and I believe it was correct and I paid it. Then I returned another item (that I paid for on my credit card) and Macy's is providing a refund in a Macy's gift card! I spent 44 mins with 3 different reps on the phone (Macy's credit and then macys.com) and none of them could explain why I was getting a gift card rather than a credit on my account! In the end -- I believe Macy's has stolen from me and I closed my credit card account.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I was treated the worst in a well established place like Macy's that I can't help but think it was all about prejudice. Kathy, her manager & the manager's manager would not apologize after the incident. One little word. I was ignored, tossed aside and looked down on because of my social class, disability & race. I will NEVER shop there again! I complained on phone. They didn't care either. No one called me. And when I called the corporate no live person to talk to. Macy's simply don't care! Discrimination at its best.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Long story short. Order several items online. Candle was melted and outside of jar, items were broken due to no packaging. Called, got replacements, same thing. Did this 3 times, no packaging and customer service offered to credit my account and told me to throw items away. I did and they credited account. Kept getting emails saying if I don’t return items I will be charged. Called again, spoke to some supervisor that I think was in India, told me it was resolved, apologized for issue and said I wouldn’t get any more. Guess what? Got another one tonight, same email. Tried to chat online and virtual agent said they can’t help me. This store is a joke!! I will never buy from them again!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I purchased the Carena's 3pc sectional from Macy's in Downtown Boston last week. (Keep in mind, Macy's does not allow you to use two means of payments i.e. two credit cards.) At time of purchase I indicated numerous times that the delivery should be made in a smaller truck considering my street is on the narrower side. I watched the salesperson include my note as part of my order. I watched the Manager confirm that the way the request was recorded was acceptable. At time of delivery, Macy's contracted delivery company was unable to deliver my furniture because they used a 26' delivery truck. When trying to coordinate to take my furniture off of the truck at the nearest convenient space for the delivery crew I was hung up on and told to contact Macy's customer service.

Macy's customer service also hung up on me. I was told that they do not even have a smaller truck... If they in fact do not have a smaller truck, my order will be cancelled by Macy's. Not by myself. I am writing this review because I was sold a dream but left dealing with a nightmare. If you live in any bigger city where the streets may be a bit narrower, your delivery will not be a priority to Macy's. Furthermore, you will not be allowed to pick up the furniture that you have paid for at their warehouse because Macy's does not allow you to go anywhere near their warehouses. They will also laugh in your face if you ask them to, at worst case scenario, rent a smaller truck in order to make the delivery.

The whole thing is a joke at this point. So much for customer first... This is why places like Macy's are going out of business. And then people reminisce about the nostalgia, no thanks. I'd rather have a great customer service experience, then left hung up on with no sense of urgency to get my situation resolved. Wishing everyone a better Macy's furniture delivery experience. Someone that still believes that the Customer should come first.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

We bought a sectional 2 years ago with a warranty. Something happened to the couch and the warranty thru Macy’s was to replace it. But we would have to repurchase it including ya. and delivery fee again then they would only give us credit back for partial product. Or we could have a 1/4 of the money back and keep the broken sectional. Corporate called us after fighting at the store and said we could afford to pay for it. He checked out Macy’s card and there was plenty of credit on there we could just use it. Not the point. The point is the warranty was supposed to cover everything and it did NOT cover anything.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

The website crashed when they had good sale plus 30%, I called customer service, they asked to get back tomorrow, and they will continue the sale. Next day prices went up and when I called customer service again, they said they can't change it back, even it was their fault. Terrible service. Good reputation stores will give their customers the previous discount, plus some bonus on top for the inconvenience.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have been a loyal Macy's customer for 20+ years. I am 55 and as of today I have (one) derogatory claim on my credit bureau from Macy's. I called to plead, the error, my account was switched to paperless, unbeknownst to me. Therefore not receiving my statement. Macy's called me to inform of a past due payment. I was suspicious getting a phone call. I went online to verify, but could not pull a statement. I told the attendant I don't have a bill and cannot pull one offline. I then went into my bill pay and just made a payment, which is now a credit balance.

The attendant I spoke with today to plead my case to review my account and retract the bureau report, was completely unsympathetic and rude to point she said it was my mistake (human error). She is so sorry but too bad... essentially. WOW - this is how loyal paying customers are treated. It was a horrid experience, and left me feeling berated and not worthy of Macy's business. Please help me restore my excellent credit rating.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Again for the 100th time my order was cancelled. Placed an order on 8/18/2019 and it was cancelled a few minutes later. I have been shopping at Macy’s for over 21 years but the past year has been nothing but a nightmare. My nightmare started when closed down the Douglaston Queens Ny the location which is where I live, so I started shopping online. On Numerous occasions I have had issues with their online services including shipping issues. Macy’s customer service people blamed everything on me when I called to complain and even sent them picture of the damaged packages and I was told that they will not ship to my home address anymore. So I decided to ship to my office address in good faith.

The problems even got worse. Each time I placed an order they cancel it. Each time I called I keep getting answers like this - a problem with my card, I called and cancelled the orders, I am not allowed to shop at Macys.com anymore... the list goes on and on each time I called and finally on 9/18/2018 I was told that Macy's sent me a letter to inform me that I can only shop at their stores!! NEVER GOT SUCH LETTER! Why will drive 25 + miles to shop and be treated like a criminal by Macy’s employees. I even contacted Macy’s directly and never got a response from them. I don’t think Macy’s care that their employees discriminate against customers.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I spent much time after the first ordered was cancelled, getting my address and profile information straightened out, which was more Macy’s ineptitude than my fault. Second order went through without a hitch. Third order summarily cancelled. Tried to reach by phone, waiting time over thirty min., so opted for chat. Spent over an hour on chat, being passed from person to person (Apple, Sharon) and was told my card was the problem again. Was told to call Card Services, which then sent me to a consumer protection service specialist.

After another half hour, and intense grilling on all sorts of personal information, my order was put through. I had great trouble understanding the thick accents of some of the people and had to ask if they would repeat what they were saying over and over. Was cut off before I could ask if this, the second time I have gone through this, would be the last. This was the most horrible, defeating purposeless, and totally unacceptable way to treat a gold card holder since 1998. All in all I spoke with at least five people, all who asked the same questions, four of whom passed me onto someone else. Poor business. Shame.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

On 8/25/2018 I place a birthday order for playmates and napkins for over $127. Since this was not the first time using Macy's for shipping the Villeroy & Boch items to a P.O.Box. I thought everything was fine. I spoke to Macy's on 9/15/2018 to find out the status, as the birthday was on 9/10/2018. Macy's informed me that they do not deliver to a PO Box and the order was cancelled on 8/27/2018. I was never informed that this was canceled and very upset that they never sent and email or phone call or even a card that this was cancelled. I could have had time to get another gift prior to the birthday. The customer agent stated that this was the vendor fault. I told them that I paid Macy's not the vendor and Macy's should have connect me that this is cancelled. I am still waiting on a call back from a manager or director of Macy's.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Macy's is having a 'Hour48' sale, if you purchase $48 or more of selected sale items you get an extra $20 off. The items I picked were part of the Hour48 sale, I exceed the amount requirement for the $20 off - my total was $73. I tried to apply the coupon but it didn't work so I contacted Macy's support chat... the support lady has no idea how to handle the issue, she escalate to the supervisor Michael ** who looked into my case without fully reviewing the chatlog, I had to repeat myself again... this guy was extremely unhelpful and kept coming up with excuses on why the code won't work, first excuse, "There's a glitch on the site, I reported the issue.", second excuse, "To get the discount only applies to regular price items."

I challenged him on this by removing the items I got from the Hour48 section and added a regular item that cost $110, the discount didn't work... he then copied and paste the note about the $20 off $48 and said he stands with what he said. I pointed out that the note says "SELECTED SALE ITEMS" he still insist it has to be regular price and won't help me. So apparently the Hour48 event to get the $20 off $48 won't apply for items in the Hour48 event even though this coupon was specifically made for this event... makes so much sense. His reading skills were so off, he kept going in circle with me and being extremely unhelpful and pouring all kinds of ** without even further research. I had to post link of the sale, etc... he still would ** it.

I already knew I wouldn't get help when he kept saying it has to be regular priced items even though the restrictions says selected sale items which mine should've qualified since I picked only items from the Hour48 shop page that were on sale... since I already knew this guy was useless, I was just wasting his time pasting the restriction rules and the links, he kept giving me the same answer. 2 hours later he just said, "No matter what you put, I won't be able to apply it for you." I won't be shopping at Macy's anymore, obviously the customer service doesn't know anything about the sale events or anything and will keep going in circles with their customers. At least with Amazon.com I'm able to get some help.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I tried to order from Macy's and they cancel my order because they could not verified my phone number. I had this phone number for a year. So I ask customer service then, "If you cannot verified my phone number and can you ship it to a Macy's store" and she said cannot because I will have to go through the same process. After that I hung up. I am done with Macy's. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had two separate experiences with no bill being sent. I thought I resolved it the first time but then they did it again. Ruining my credit and saying there was nothing they could do. I had an 820 credit score, but they say I decided not to pay a 100 bill. DON’T SHOP HERE AND DEFINITELY DON’T USE THEIR CREDIT DEPARTMENT. They will screw you over to get late fees and raise your rates. That’s how they make money.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

It took over 35 minutes to update my rewards. My phone number changing caused my rewards to be nullified. The person assisting me seemed to be slow at assessing the situation and confused with the process. I believe there was a language barrier which is concerning on many levels. I intend to cancel this credit card and refrain from shopping at Macy’s again.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We went to shop for new bedroom furniture set at Macy's furniture gallery in Roseville MN. After we found what we like, we have been told that we cannot buy anything from Macy's, because we don't live within 30 miles and they don't deliver to our location. I left the store with untrained and unprofessional staff from regular associates to manager, as I spoke to both and called Macy's, ordered that furniture set over the phone with no question asked where I live and it was delivered to my house within 2 weeks.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

First of all, I had a Macy's credit card, and they automatic send me an Macy's American Express card without my consent. In April 2018, my Macy's card + Macys.com account got fraud activity. 2 orders was placed using my acct / credit card but all Billing information had been changed including the contact name, e-mail, address & phone number. When I called in to report it, Macy's customer advise I need to wait for the package return to their warehouse before I can get a refund (why?) The charge showed up on my account for 2 months and no updates regarding this fraud activity and no results. I had to called in for about 6 times and they just ask me to wait. (Wait for what? even the return package had been return to them long ago.)

Finally after 4.5 months I received a letter saying it's been resolved, but they transfer some balance from my closed acct to the new one without giving me a detail transaction (detail bill cannot be download/view online due to my acct was closed). After all these time wasted, not catching fraud activities, I made another online purchase of only $21 with Macy's few days ago. Wow, my order got cancelled!!?! And they want me to verify billing info because it doesn't match?? I have no idea how their automatic system check for fraud activity but you guys are doing it the WRONGGG way!! Now I will not calling in to verify my billing info but to cancel my Macy's card. OMG.

Macy's Company Information