1.78/5
Based on 162 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1334 Macy's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I had a horrible experience with the customer service at Macy's. I was furnishing my brand new apartment and I decided to go with rugs from Macy's. I have ordered couple of rugs and the man who worked there messed up my order. I had to wait more than 6 weeks for my rugs to be delivered, even though he charged it all right away on my credit card.

I cannot even explain the hassle I had to go through on the phone, while I was trying to get my rugs that I have already paid for. After that my husband and I decided to purchase one more rug for our office, and we decided to go with Macy's again, cause we were very happy with the quality of the ones we already got. Anyways, they delivered to us the wrong color of rug. After I called and asked for an exchange, they said they need to do an investigation and will call us back in one week. We never got the call.

We called them back, and they didn't even know what's happening and told us they will take care of the exchange and send us the return labels for the wrong rugs. It was promised we will get those in 2 weeks. After 3 weeks, the rug was not there, neither the return labels, so we called again. Again they were not aware what is happening, and they made new paperwork for the exchange and told us we will get our rug by Aug 14, and the return labels as well. Yesterday was Aug 16, no sign of our rug, no sign of return labels. We called again, and I was really frustrated this time. As I was explaining the problem to the woman on the phone and she HANG UP on me. There you go, this is the "lovely" customer service of Macy's. They are extremely unprofessional, they never know what is happening, they never do their job, and they are rude and not helpful. I will NEVER again order from them, and I highly suggest you DO NOT either.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I was alerted about a purchase on my Macy's card that I did not make. I called the number on the back of the card and was on hold for almost 2 hours, got transferred 5 times and then was told that during all this holding and transferring, someone who did not have my credit card was shopping away with a fake ID and no card Using my Social Security number. Blatant fraud. This practice is absolutely unacceptable to me.

At the very least, someone trying to charge without a credit card 7 times within an hour in the same store should have at least warranted a phone call on record. Looking back on my years of credit history, I have NEVER spent that much money and only use the card on rare occasions for special sales. This activity should have been flagged and acted on in the customers interest. I have a standing order that all purchased on my Macy's card have e-receipts but only one Sales Associate complied with the demands on my card out of 7 different Sales Associates. Macy's cannot be trusted to have access to your credit. Close your account today before this happens to you. I was also told by Fraud prevention that they don't even have to have your full Social Security number, just the last 4 digits. Insane.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I tried placing an online order through Ebates. Macy's was offering 20%. So I ordered cookware for a gift. The order was declined, not by my credit card company but by Macy's, why? A lame excuse they said was because of the fraud dept, which I called and could not get a reasonable answer. They said to try again, I did, again it did not go through. Contacted my credit card company which now shot up a red flag and they verified me and still Macy's would not put the charge through. They basically said that I abused the system, hummm interesting, since I never used Ebates before for Macy's and hardly ever buy anything with them.

They then told me I can only purchase from the store and never online. I quickly cancelled my Macy's credit card and wrote to them asking them to have a supervisor contact me (still waiting). I guess when you buy an expensive gift, Macy's will find a loophole so they won't have to pay Ebates. Macy's better add exclusions so as to not make customers feel like criminals. Needless to say, I will NEVER shop at Macy's again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I have been trying to pay my credit card account for almost a year, I have been making payments but sometimes I can’t make them on the due date. This company charges 38.00 for late fees. At this rate I will never be able to pay my account off, other stores don’t charge these late fees which allows consumers to pay their debts off. It’s so frustrating to deal with Macy’s, they could care less about people’s situations, all they care about is making money off of people on high interest rates.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

An absolutely horrible experience at Macys.com! I ordered a comforter set and besides the fact it took 4 tries to order it, when I received the confirmation email it showed the product was shipped to a previous address that was 10 years old. I immediately contacted Macy's Customer No Service and was told I HAD to make all corrections within 30 minutes of initiating the order. It took 30 minutes to get the confirmation email. Macy's is so desperate for money now, that they no longer need a customer service because they can only assist you within 30 minutes of your order. After that, THEY DON'T CARE. The frustrating part of all this is, they won't make any changes or updates to your order even though it won't be shipped for 3 days.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Another internet outsourced company making shopping online a horrific experience. No supervisors, representatives with limited communication skills and absolutely NO desire to resolve concerns that may be unique to Americans. Shame on Macy’s!!! My item was delivered with the security tag attached. I have no car and leaving on a trip tomorrow. Representative did nothing to at least compensate me for the 30.00 car service fee for me to take item to store to have tag removed. They simply DO NOT know or want to resolve consumer concerns and retain customers. Now I understand why they are slipping away into the realm of crappy stores. Stay away!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Would give negative review if I could. My account was hacked last year. Was told I would get confirmation of the account closure in the mail, plus my new card. I got the card but no confirmation. I used it once and it was stolen again. I contacted customer service again and told them I wanted my account closed for good due to their lax security. Was told I would get confirmation of the closure in the mail and to pay the outstanding balance. I sent the balance and again, did not get account confirmation.

After 1 year of no contact, (wasn't expecting any since they suck) I started getting collection notices in the mail for a closed account! Seriously? I've tried several times to get a manager to call me and have gotten no response (of course). I escalated through BBB of Cincinnati and some entry level "account assistant" responded that it's not their problem and it's mine? After being an account holder since 1993, I would rather go to Nordstrom and pay 3x for the same item than go anywhere near Macy's anymore. Disgusting.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I reported fraudulent activity on my credit card. I spoke with customer service and they assured me that the card would be cancelled and flagged for fraudulent activity. A few days later I received an email from Macy's saying they were giving the thief a refund for the stuff she put on my credit card because she returned it. I called customer service and they did not what was going on and my card was still active. If that is the best security Macy's can provide during these days of the hacker I have no use for them.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I ordered a silk scarf. Then I noticed that I will not be at home one week after and I wanted to cancel my order immediately. But I could not find any icon on the website of this company for cancel the order. And there are a lot of processing to find the cancel icon, and finally I couldn't find. I called the customer service but I couldn't reach any staff. And I sent email, but they did not accept to resolve my problem. But it was very simple; I requested to send my item before August 5 or cancel the order. But they were not very kind and they made difficulties. I am still waiting.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I’m very disappointed with Macy’s Department Stores. I recently purchased a pair of JM Collection Plus Curvy Fit Straight Leg Pants (Black) from their online store. I open a plastic bag containing my pants and while I was trying on the pants, I slipped my leg into the right pant leg and two dead roaches came flying out of the bottom of it. I didn’t know they were dead at the time and was in complete shock. I immediately contacted customer service, and after waiting 15 minutes for someone to pick up, I explained what had occurred.

They said they were sorry and would give me 20% off my total order as I purchase other items as well. I said, "That’s all you have to say, this was unacceptable." Not that they would make an inquiry into it or contact their quality department. I’m very disappointed with Macy’s and don’t plan to purchase pants in the future. I’ve been shopping online for years and this has never happened to me before. Thought I’d share my experience with you. (See attached pictures.)

Original review: July 11, 2018

Let me start by saying that I'm appalled by the level of service Macy's Representatives have provided. This item is being order for a wedding on July 13th and Macy's can't seem to deliver on their promise. On my first attempt the Rep "accidentally cancelled" my order and then the items weren't available for purchase. He placed me on hold and then "accidentally" transferred me to a store in Wayne, NJ. Bearing in mind, my funds were already on hold with the Bank... NO RESOLUTION. Later that evening I was able to place this order again online and paid for express delivery. To date the item was not received and as per UPS the item was shipped standard and is currently in Virginia. Macy's Rep stated that there's nothing that can be done, I'll just have to wait. AGAIN NO RESOLUTION. This is not the kind of service I'd expect from any merchant and especially not Macy's. My wedding is 2 days away and I am without the shoes and my money.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Paid for express shipping (2 days). Took 7 business days. Spoke to customer service for both Companies and got agents in the Philippines. Why are there so many unemployed people in our country, but 2 big companies farm out to other countries. No good resolution to late shipment. Rude service. Don't shop online at Macy's.

Original review: July 7, 2018

My husband received a shirt for Christmas that he went to wear recently and realized still had the security device attached. I attempted to call store today for assistance, but it took 15 minutes to navigate the automated system, since customer service is NOT an option. When I FINALLY spoke with a live person, she told me I could "come on into the store" (Macy's Town Center Plaza, Leawood, KS, an hour away) or mail the shirt back (at my expense). When I suggested that the device should have been removed at time of purchase and either option was an inconvenience to me, I offered to email photos of the tag attached with item number and Macy's return label so that I could get a gift card for a replacement shirt. She then put me "on hold" for 15 minutes of silence.

I called back, spoke with a person in a random department so I didn't have to waste time pushing buttons, and she gave me the number for customer service and transferred me. Phone rang for 15 minutes with no answer. I called back, used the buttons to dial extension directly and got a recording that no one was available (at 1:30pm on a Saturday), and asked me to leave a message. I chose instead to email a complaint and am eagerly awaiting the reply. All I want is a shirt my husband can actually wear without having to drive an hour each way to fix their mistake!!!

Original review: July 6, 2018

Back in March of 2018 I received a bill out of the blue. I live in PA & the merchandise was charged in California & shipped to California. I called Macy's as soon as I received the statement & they said I would receive a call in 21 days. It is now July & I'm still receiving statements, received no calls, so I had to set on the phone for over an hour again. I was now told I had to fill out a fraud form & send it to them! Can't print it out. Canceled credit card & have to call them again on Monday. So disgusting... My time is better spent on something else. A 5 minute phone call to me verifying the charge would have alleviated all this aggravation. UGH!!!

Original review: July 4, 2018

Explained situation of fraud/account hacked. Fraud department wanted to speak to the Sriramkumar ** that committed the fraud. Told me she can't change anything unless she speaks to them. Are you kidding me!??? They charged my bank account. On my account it still says I'm the account holder. But they put their name and address on my account. Online, there is no way to delete my profile. Macy's refused to let me delete my profile. Told me this hacker is now the account holder and can do what they want with my account now. I am so upset!!! Also, refused to let me speak to a manager. They emailed me to let me know that this Sriramkumar will get $279.00 given to them as a refund. Not to myself, but the thief.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Macy's have great bargains in the clearance section of their website. Most clothes are good quality. But sometimes they have not so friendly associates. Usually the older women. It cost nothing to smile... Aand really truly can make a huge difference in somebody's purchase.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have been a Macy's credit card holder since 1979, I have great credit and shopped at Macy's when there was a store near me. I haven't shopped there in a while because there was no store near where I was living. Macy's, without warning, cancelled my account. They said they tried to contact me. I find that hard to believe. I am easy to reach. If this is how they treat loyal customers, it is a wonder that they are still in business. My guess is it's only a matter of time before the store is closed due to horrible corporate policies.

Original review: June 27, 2018

WorryNoMore Protection Plan is a SCAM!! Much like the other reviews here, I did not get anything more than a pamphlet about the Plan and a receipt showing I purchased the plan. The information with the fine print was not given to me and the lady was so happy to email it to me after denying my claim. I purchased a sectional in July 2014, called to have a stain removed and asked for the date I found the stain and the date I cleaned it. She made me pull a date out of the air when I said 6 months ago I found it and a date I cleaned it. I had to report the stain within 10 days of finding it and cleaning it. What a crock of **! If you do not file a claim within 5 years you get the money back you paid on the Plan to put towards new furniture, so now that I filed a claim, that was denied. I will not get the money back. LOL well fool me once Macy's because I will never buy furniture from Macy's again that is for certain.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I moved from urban/city to rural Mississippi and I miss access of the in store experience. However I have been shopping online for the last four years and am very satisfied with my experience. The return process, and even if an item go on sale after I have purchased it, I can call and get some adjusts in price.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I shop fairly often at Macy's at their women's shoes department and I'm tired of receiving used/display model shoes. This is the 3rd or 4th pair of shoes that I ordered that have been worn. On this occasion, the sandals that I ordered happened to be last act and I'm unable to get an exchange for another pair since they're sold out of my size. I called customer service and they apologized and offered to either refund the item or if I wanted to keep it they will give me a 20% discount. The associate I spoke with said there was an error whenever she tried to process the discount and said that she would give me a call back the next day.

I waited for the callback but did not receive one. I called customer service the next day regarding the issue and a different associate stated they are not able to give me a discount because the item is last act. I told her that when I called before a supervisor approved the discount. I was placed on hold and was supposedly honored the discount. I asked if I will be receiving a confirmation and was told yes but I have yet to receive one. The associate asked if she can connect me to her supervisor and I responded yes and the phone just continued to ring and no one answered. I'm very disappointed in Macy's customer service. They do not keep their word. If you tell a customer you will honor something, then go through with it. Think twice before ordering online for shoes.

Original review: June 13, 2018

The worst customer service I have ever received. It all started because I went online because there was a sale that ended on Sunday June 10 2018 for 30% off beauty products using the code EVENT. I was buying some face cream and was supposed to get a bunch of free samples, and I was also buying several sets of curtains.

I did my online shopping and went to checkout, but the page would just spin and spin and not update to actually enter the credit card details and pay. I tried multiple browsers and even had my husband try on a different computer, but nothing worked. Today I checked Facebook and saw several other people complaining about the same issue, so it was not just me or user error. I called the supposed 24/7 800 number, but got a message that due to a system upgrade no one was available to help me. I then emailed the customer service email address that night before the sale was over.

About a day later I got an email back that I should call customer service and someone would help me place the order. So I called... The call center in Manilla Philippines is awful. It sounds like a party when you call with a bunch of women laughing in the background. I have called twice and been put on hold and left on hold twice. The first time for over 15 minutes and I eventually hung up. So I called back, spoke to a male worker and then was transferred to a woman who was supposedly the supervisor. I was trying to buy the items over the phone and get the discount I would have gotten on Sunday.

The supposed supervisor said she would make a one time exception and give me the sale price. Then she took that back and said the face cream was no longer available to buy at all. I said fine and that I still wanted the curtains. I gave the woman my credit card info and all the details, she put me back on hold and left me on hold for 20 min and then eventually she hung up on me/disconnected the call. I was trying to buy something!

I was at no point rude, I didn't yell or do anything other than trying to buy some face cream and curtains. The terrible employee got all of my information and there is no reason she could not place the order, but I was on the call for over 45 minutes, and in the end the woman just disconnected the call. I don't see any charges on my credit card which means that after wasting my time with multiple calls and emails and most recently 45 minutes of my time, I still have no curtains or cream.

I will not shop at Macy's anymore, I would rather go spend my $$ at Nordstroms, a better store, with better quality products, better management, and amazing customer service. If Macy's goes out of business as a company it will be because of the terrible customer service. SO BAD!!!! I will tell everyone I know about this awful experience. I have already told several co-workers and friends, and I will discourage everyone I know from ever shopping at this terrible awful company run by people who clearly do not appreciate their customers and do not hire good employees or train employees on proper customer service.

Your stupid phone surveys don't do any good when the employees know they might get a bad survey, so they just hang up on the customers so they cannot get a bad survey. What a waste. I was very excited about my curtains and what should have been a fun happy experience was ruined by awful customer service and now I will have to find something someplace else because I refuse to buy anything from Macy's now. I still don't understand why after providing my credit card and everything the woman needed, she put me on hold and then hung up on me and never placed the order. Why????

If you value your customers at all you will do something about this. Macy's must be losing customers left and right based on all the terrible comments I see on social media and the terrible experiences I have had. I have been a loyal customer to Macy's and I always do much of my Xmas shopping at Macy's, but that is over. I would rather take my money elsewhere and get better service.

Quit cutting corners and stop shipping everything to the Philippines to people who do not care. In truth though, even the US employees do not care. Most likely no one will ever read this email, or just delete it, and if you are reading it now you probably don't care either. Maybe you will care when you lose your job because Macy's goes out of business due to the terrible awful deplorable customer service. I have wasted enough of my time on this. I will now go spend my hard earned money at a different store, never to return.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Last night your site crashed. I tried for hours to place an order to no avail. I called customer service to get assistance, after waiting over an hour on the phone I hung up. Now I've called again today & stayed on the phone with someone who cannot speak English for over an hour even after asking several times to be transferred to someone in the US. I did get to speak with a cs rep in the US and am still on the phone 3 hrs and 13 minutes and counting. Although I appreciate to kindness of the US rep still... Very poor customer service to say the least, I'm so disappointed. Now I'm told I cannot use PayPal or get Macy's Rewards!!! I am a loyal Macy's customer but you've got to do better!! My time is valuable and placing an order should not be this complicated and tedious. There should be recompense to all your customers who had this experience wasting time and being inconvenienced. -10 Customer Rating.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I order two items that I needed for an upcoming trip. I was notified that they were sent. Now they tell me that the order was canceled and are no longer available. I was not told that there was a problem and given no explanation. I do not recommend anyone to buy from Macy's. Do not trust them.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Macy's used to have a return policy of 365 days. That was the big reason I shop at Macy's online. I'm very busy Mom who has no time to go to the store for shopping. Today, I tried to return some items, and was told that the return policy had changed to 180 days. I just missed the cut off day without being aware of. I called customer service, and the associate answered me very unprofessionally. They should let the customer know the change more visible!!! Or they should accept a return for the first time, if they care for customer's satisfaction. I will no longer shop at Macy's.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I called to get my 25% off promo code you mail me all the time. I was transferred four times, and never got to talk with a manager; ended up being transferred to a Spanish department. I just wanted to place my $550.00+ order in my shopping cart, no one cares at this company with overseas employees who leave you on hold, hang up on you, etc. I do spend a fair amount of money at Macy's, at least I Did in the past. After all that phone trouble, no one could help or cared to, I've decided to take my business elsewhere. Maybe someone will read this and see how customer service plays a big role in any business. The Box Store like yourself, will be affected if enough customers leave like I have. I had a simple question, wanting help with a promo code you mail me all the time, but I didn't have access to it today. Sadly, your employees don't care and you now lost a good customer of many, many years!

Original review: May 26, 2018

The right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing. I am a Macy's shopper and credit card holder for about a decade now. Their customer service has declined very quickly. My latest experience was with a shirt I bought. I got caught in the rain wearing it and came home and lay it flat to dry on my couch. It shrunk from a medium to an infant size overnight! I called them, explained and they sent me a shipping label. They reassured me they had their notes on the system so the warehouse manager would know what the problem was when he got it in that state! Needless to say, it was returned to me by the warehouse manager! He failed to read the notes on the system!

On May 6th which was 3 weeks later I called Macy's and they said they would credit my account. Right after that I kept getting emails from them asking me to return the shirt. I called back and they started offering me 20 percent off the shirt price back! I was furious! I didn’t know that the credit had been posted. After bargaining with me to get to 30 percent she put me on hold to get supervisor approval. It was then that the supervisor realized the credit was posted in full! I have posted a picture of the shrunk shirt next to my foot to give you an idea of how much the shirt had shrunk. Not only does Macy's have the poorest customer service but they sell low quality clothing. I’m so done!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have been dealing with this people for about 4 months. I bought 4 pairs of shoes for a bridal party. I asked the cashier if I could return it if it did not work for the bridesmaids, she advised me I had 30 days. I went tried the shoes with them everything was fine. So then I ordered another paid from another store to be shipped to Galleria mall because they told me they could (Walden Galleria). Short version, they lost the shoes, I cannot find another one the same as the rest so I returned the 4 shoes previously bought and was told that I would be getting a check for my due amount. Waiter, never came so I called, they had the wrong whatever since it was going to Canada, okay do the whole thing again... still nothing, just called and was advised that it was not a check that was coming but a store credit!!! I paid off my Macy's card right away, so I cannot put it on the card, but now they are sending me a gift card.

I WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM. No one told me it was a gift card, and I have to chase them to do their jobs. They are super rude on the phone just trying to brush you off so you forget about the problem They are disgusting! I have never EVER dealt with such an unprofessional group of people like the ones at Walden Galleria mall. They should all be fired and replaced, they are miserable and hate their jobs.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I purchased this Worry No More plan because the sales associate told me that this would cover ANY damage to the sofa and fabric for 7 years. However, it is 3 years later and I have filed a claim because the seat and the armrest is completely sunken. A technician came out and looked at it. He told me the cushion was "normal wear and tear" which apparently isn't covered but the armrest had frame damage and that should be covered. However, my claim was closed and they are refusing to repair. They are now saying the technician said that the armrest was also normal wear and tear. I have owned MANY sofas over the years and have never had an armrest cave in in the middle. THIS IS A TOTAL RIP OFF! I have called and left messages and sent emails. No one responds to either.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I had a Macy's card 5 years ago that I closed because they charged me late fees and never sent me a bill. In late 2017, I folded and opened another one to save money while Christmas shopping. Since I didn't trust them, I paid my bills with my debit card after purchasing in the store. The last purchase I wasn't able to, so I have been waiting for a bill at my house. Today I received one with a $29 late fee charge. This is absolutely, 100% fraudulent. I never received an initial bill.

When I called the company, they thankfully waived it, but told me to expect an interest charge to come for $2, so I will have to call them back again. This is exactly what happened last time, though the last time I had paperless billing and never saw the email. I couldn't even find it on a search. This time I am 100% certain I never received a bill, as my husband and I have both been looking for it. This company is unbelievable. I will, never, ever open another Macy's card and I hope no one else does either. Apparently, this is how they make their money back for all the discounts they give you.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Hello, I'm getting pretty annoyed with Macy's Customer Service. Here's a timeline of what happened: In April, I subscribed to the Beauty Box. After received my first one, which was shipped April 9th, I decided to cancel my subscription because I didn't see value in it. I went on my account and saw a message that said I didn't have a subscription. I then emailed Macy's customer service on April 17th and got a response from team member Arlyn **: "Since you are getting a message stating you are not a subscriber, it means that your subscription was already cancelled. In the event that you receive a Beauty Box for May, kindly let us know immediately so we could send a notification to our internal team for further investigation."

However, on May 6th I received an email from Macy's saying my Beauty Box was on its way. I immediately responded to Arlyn's email and let her know my subscription wasn't in fact cancelled. On May 7th, I received an email from Macy's asking for "more time" to analyze the problem. Not having heard anything by May 11th, I reached out again, and the day after I got the email below, stating that I need to cancel on the website, which brings me to stage 1. I did not subscribe with a different email address, because I don't even have a different email address, and I'm getting shipping notifications and such on this same email. I don't know why I'm not seeing it on the website, but I need this cancelled.

By the way, I just read that cancellations have to be made by the 10th of each month, but I've tried in every possible way to cancel, so now you're going to charge me for two boxes I never wanted in the first place? I DEMAND a refund, otherwise I'll never shop at Macy's again. I expect a response with my subscription cancellation today.

Macy's Company Information

www.macys.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business