1.38/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Macy's

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 9, 2017

1184 Macy's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Macy's is a terrible store to have credit from. Not only do they force you spend continuously in order to keep them from lowering your limit, but they will find any excuse to do it too. This hurts your credit score in the end and this company does not care!!! I have been with these ** for 10 years with no real issues to speak of and they lowered my credit from 3000 to 300 for being late 1 time. I have heard from customers that they got their credit lowered because they hadn't used their card in a while. This is wrong and I wonder if this is targeted to ** people in particular. I think this company treats ** terribly and I am convinced of this because of the number of incidents that I have heard from ** talking about how Macy's has done them dirty. I am appalled by this company and want to expose them for the shady institution that they are. Please be wary of getting their card. They are the worst and you will be sorry like I am that you ever signed up.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I have a bad experience with a worker in Macy's customer service. I went to go pick up an online order under my name and I used my husband's Macy's credit card. An employee said that I couldn't use it because my name was not on card, which was reasonable and understandable. However, the way he said it and his attitude with me was unacceptable. It was unnecessary to be as rude as he was by saying that it was illegal and questioning my ability to understand what he was saying. Also he warned me I would be arrested for using the card. It is not about what he said, it is about how he said. I am very dissatisfied with this employee working in Macy's customer service.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Coupons that are received based on the fact that you have a credit card with the store and the amount of spending done is deceptive selling practice. None of the coupons work - the coupons now exclude almost everything. No wonder why they are close to filing bankruptcy. I've had a store card with them for over 15 years and in the past 2 years I have not been able to use a coupon. Even the coupon that is received for their Thanks for Sharing program is not usable except in stores and has the same exclusions. Fraudulent company - I'm going elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Did an in-store order, to be delivered. Clerk got the size wrong, and when I tried to get it corrected, it turned into a maddening experience! Their call centers are outside the U.S., the customer care is NON-existent, and you can't get any help from their retail stores!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Macy's store in Salisbury MD disgusting carpeting throughout the store. Smells musty like an old man. Changing room walls and doors are gross; sticky fingerprints all over the doors. Floor looks like and feels like it hasn't been cleaned in decades. Appearance is HUGE and most of your stores are NOT impressive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Macy's?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I called to let them know I would be making my payment a week after my due date due to not working for 14 days due to Harvey. And the Customer service representative was rude and said, "Are you making this payment with your checking account?" and they doubled my payment. This company has no sympathy for people. Our city has and still is going through a lot and people are finding it hard to get back on their feet and this people are just thinking about getting their money.

This is not the only store credit card I have. I have many others and they all called me or emailed me to let me know I didn't have to worry about paying 'till October. I will be paying Monday regardless but it's just rude to call and ask for an extension and not even be asked if you have a home. All she said was, "Oh when will you pay?" I told her and she already wanted to set a payment with my bank account and which I can't use because the bank close to me is still rebuilding after the floods. I told her I would give it at the store and she asked, "How much?" Umm well the amount she told me which was double my minimum payment smh.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I purchased a formal gown for my granddaughter’s wedding. It was not suitable when I showed it to her. I went to return the gown and was told it was 62 days from purchase and they would not accept the gown for credit. Their policy on formal gowns was changed prior to my purchase, to 60 days, but at no time was I informed of this at purchase, it is not written any place I could find. I was informed that the 60 days was only for formals, other depts had their own criteria for returns. The gown has every tag still attached. I do not have the original receipt but do have the signed tag from that day when I opened an account with Macy's. I was informed that all transactions prior to 60 days are WIPED off the computer and there is no record.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Order a pair of 329 Keaton slip-on Michael Kors sneak online from Macy's.com. When the shoes arrived to our home, it was a Michael Kors box with a pair of coach sneak and wrong size. I call the customer service the same day I received the package. Their response was, "We are sorry but that shoes no longer available and we can refund your money." I am very upset!!! They didn't ever try to offer another sneak!! I talk to the so-called manager and received the same response!! Will be taking further action!!! On top of that the shoes looks like they have been worn.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Macy's have the worst customer service ever!!! I received a coupon through email when I created an online account. I buying 13 items and when I checkout the coupon doesn't go through so I call and ask them to figure out why. He said the coupon excluding most of the brands in my cart and the price is already low so that why the coupon doesn't work. That so ridiculous. Why are you giving coupon to customer and none of it get discount and all the 13 items is close to $7-$12. He act like I'm buying all the items as $1 each.

I calling them three times but I still can't get the discount but lead to credit card declined, no discount and ask for my social security number bc she need access my credit card account but I don't have Macy's credit card. your customer service is so ridiculous and they need to open their ears and try to help customer. I don't have time to dealing with whatever reason you guys give me, online shopping suppose to be quick and easy and I end up on the phone for 3 hours but can't solve anything. I will never buying anything from Macy's!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Just closed my account of over 10 years with Macy's. I changed my auto pay bank account in May. I received a confirmation email that it was changed and thought all was good. I didn't order many things from them during the summer because I was incredibly busy with work so, I didn't bother to open my statements as I figured whatever little I owed, would come out of my bank account. Two months later, I was ordering over $100 in merchandise (as I often did with Macy's) and my card was declined. That's when I found out my account was past due. I looked at the auto pay and the info was correct but no charges had been made to the account since I changed it. I didn't understand but took care of it immediately even paying the late fees because I did not want to deal with waiting and calling them during the week as I was scared to mess up my credit, which I **painstakingly** have been building up for the past several years.

Unfortunately, today I woke up to an email from my credit score tracker saying it changed. It changed from 790 to 704 because of a stupid 2 month late balance of $110 in the Macy's card. I am devastated that my credit could go down so much for so little. THIS WAS NOT MY FAULT! THEIR AUTO PAY SYSTEM FAILED. I called Macy's and spoke with the Credit bureau representative. Showed my evidence that I had set up auto pay correctly and NEVER received a SINGLE past due notice from them. They said it's still my responsibility to know if the auto pay went through and were pretty cold about it. Well, I called to close my account and that representative was really nice saying I was a "loyal customer and if you would consider keeping my account open?" I'm like, "Can you help me clear my credit score?" They're like "No, sorry." So I asked her to close it. She said, "We hope you consider shopping at Macy's by other means." Ha! As if.

I am really bummed about this because I actually was a loyal customer, my friends have been trying to get me to shop elsewhere (both online and in other stores) for years and I stuck with Macy's... As they say, the best way to show how upset we are with anything in this capitalist society is with money, so I will NEVER EVER AGAIN use any of my hard-earned money (or credit cards) at Macy's. I guess I will finally get to check out those other stores...

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Macy's is the worst department store ever. Their credit card is over priced with interest of 26%. Be careful on the day before and of your due date. The following phone number will call you stating your payment has not been received (NO ** IT'S NOT DUE YET). **. They tell you your payment will not be in your account by using the online payment method in time. They claim I must give my checking and routing numbers to my bank in order for them to not assess any other fees. ** SCAM ARTISTS!

Then they will harass you every hour on the hour after this - until all hours of the night. Even if you do make a payment now you have a late fee that they will hound you over. I have a balance of $86 on my account. I really seriously do not believe Macy's wants another class action lawsuit like they had in 2014 where they did the exact same thing. Keep making reports about the AWFUL Macy's and their non-professional collections department. I attempted to contact MACY'S corporate office today and was not helped at all. They did not want to take the complaint without me giving a ton of information that has nothing to do with my account or complaint. Information such as: full name, ss#, DOB, drivers license #, and address (and yes my bank routing and account numbers). Why do you need any or all of that for a complaint. Well in my opinion it is because MACY's is not what it used to be.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Purchase Keurig on Super Saturday - I am extremely disappointed with Macy's customer service and irate about the fact that I ordered a product that was shipped to me wet, used, and containing Black Mold. This package potentially hazardous! I contacted your customer service - they offered to replace it BUT nothing about the mold? The "magic" card included in my package had a pack ID. I wanted to get to the bottom of identifying who this person was and WHY would they send hazards in the mail. My complaint is not taken seriously and they had the nerve to want to send me a $10 gift card. Seriously? I can't believe you don't get the problem. I tried calling corporate 5 times and the line disconnected. When I spoke to a supervisor she apologized but never offered to report this matter.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Excellent quality, very polite assistance, easy to make returns! I have shopped Macy's for years and it's always my return place to visit first. The product description is beyond belief.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I don't usually do online orders, because I enjoy the in store shopping experience with most retail stores. I was looking for a certain color and design of bedding online with Macy's. In May of 2017, I thought I had found exactly what I was looking for, until I had opened it and put it on my bed. Two days later I saw a brown little bug crawling on my comforter... Yes... It was a BED BUG!!! I had not take the pillow shams out of the zip locked bag that the bedding comes in. After further investigation, looking in the inside of the pillow shams, I saw several BED BUGS on the inside corners of both shams.

I might have overreacted, but I decided to not take a chance of an infestation and I bagged up the bedding and in the trash it went. I called Macy's and they wanted me to send the contaminated bedding back through UPS to give me a credit. I explain to the representative that I had thrown the bedding in the trash and that I thought would be a unhealthy thing to send the bedding back to them, even if I still had it, that furthering the contamination to UPS and countless other consumers would be an unprofessional and wrong thing to do.

Macy's argued with me about the refund, eventually Macy's did credit my account with a full refund. Last week I decided to place an order with Macy's again, this time clothing and towels... All gifts were gifts for a 4 person birthday celebration. My mistake not looking over the items as carefully as I should have. My son received the box from Macy's and placed it on the floor just inside the living room. Later that day when I got home, I picked the box up and placed it on my sofa to open it and as I pulled out the items, I did not see anything out of the ordinary. Two days later after the birthday celebration, I went to sit down on my sofa and noticed a brown cluster on the same place that I had set the Macy's box. As I looked closer, there were about 8 BED BUGS all the same size (pencil eraser size), this made me sick to my stomach, now knowing that I can no longer feel safe with online orders or Macy's.

I called my daughter and daughter in law yesterday, letting them know that they need to look at all items and gift bags for BED BUGS. My daughter called me this morning and indeed she found a couple of little BED BUGS in my granddaughter gift and gift bag. The gift bags had been purchased on my way to the celebration, so I know the bugs did not come from the gift bags. In speaking with Macy's again about this ongoing problem, Andrew told me he could credit my account with a 20% discount. I am not happy with the way Macy's does business. From now on I will deal directly with the name brand office when placing my order. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

My latest order was 2 blouses and jeans. The website has a great selection of these items, good pictures, descriptions, size information, zoom in and out possibility. Easy to order, proceed to checkout, good discount, fast processing of the order, quick delivery. The items arrived on time, fit perfectly, quality fantastic, I could not ask for more from Macy's. I've been their customer for a very long time. If I ever had to return anything, no problem, drop off in UPS, with a label which is always inside the package. Prompt refund of funds, great service.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I bought a furniture from Macy's on 08/29/2016 under the 12 months special event purchase for $2179.70. Am supposed to pay it in full before 09/05/2017. But from that time onwards I had been charged Interest every month, which has gone beyond $250 now. I called up Macy's customer service last week to resolve this issue. They took all the details and told me it will be resolved ASAP. I got my August statement now and there is additional charge of $11 for Interest charge. If there is a delay in payment, then you promptly charge late fee and interest. But when Macy's charged interest by mistake, they are not giving back my money immediately. It's a shame Macy's is not resolving the issue. I have decided am not going to purchase anything from Macy's on any special event purchase.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Used to love Macy's but not anymore!!! Made my monthly payment to my Macy's Card on July 10, on July 15th I checked my personal bank account and seen there were two debit transactions on my personal account from Macy's. I called Macy's to inquiry about the second unauthorized payment, customer service told me that was an automatic payment set up by you, explained it was not authorized by me and that I had already made my monthly payment on July 10th and that I want that unauthorized payment put back into my account. They stated it would take 7-10 business days. Well this did not happen. It gets better, I checked my Macy's account a few days later after speaking to them and I seen that my Macy's account was used in the amount of $523.00 unauthorized again in a city that is 2 hours away that I didnt authorize, now keep in mind I have my Macy's card never lost it and it was not stolen.

Called Macy's again. Reported my card stolen and that I did not authorize this payment, isn't this just a coincident??? Clearly someone had access to my account online. I have made over a dozen calls to Macy's customer service about having the unauthorized funds put back into my personal account and they have not done this, they have conference my bank twice and I sent them my bank statement, and it is now August 5 the and I'm yet to receive my money back. As I'm writing this I have been on the phone with them for an hour in a half trying to get these funds put back into my account. It's just crazy that it takes all of this to have someone do their job!!! I have worked customer service for 20 years and I don't treat my customers like this!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

The website runs really slow and I had to exit out of it numerous times just to try to get back on with hopes that it would run faster. This seems to happen every time I use Macys.com.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I am completely done with Macy's. I have never been so outraged with a company as much as I am with Macy's. Last year I reported fraud on my account because someone utilized my card and maxed it out. I rarely ever go to Macy's so once I received the fraud alert, I contacted them right away to get to the bottom of issue. Fast forward months later when I try to order online with either my Macy's card or regular credit/debit cards, the order gets canceled for whatever reason. I never looked into why any of my orders were canceled, I just figured that the item was sold out and left it alone. I can make purchases with my Macy's card in store with no problem, however. Today (July 30th, 2017), I placed an order and the same thing happened so I finally decided to give them a call and figure out what is going on. I spoke to a total of five customer service representatives and none of those incompetent representatives were of any help.

One rude agent even hung up the phone on me because I expressed to her that she needed to give me a better clarification as to why I cannot utilize my card online, other than I needed to "change my provided information." All of the information I provided was correct; from the Macy's card information, address, phone number and name. I frequently shop online so I am pretty familiar on how to appropriately complete an online order form. I cannot frequent the stores as often and online shopping is much more convenient.

I am trying to give them MY MONEY, and no one is doing anything to help me understand WHY I cannot place any online orders. Ridiculous. I am a bit apprehensive about closing my Macy's card because I know not will affect my credit score which I have worked so hard for. But this is an action I need to take because I cannot support a company that is doing very little to address consumer concerns. Once I pay off my balance within the next few weeks, I am going close my card ASAP because Macy's clearly doesn't need any of my business.

Original review: July 26, 2017

It is an assault to have account with Macys, when they charge you 26.24% for your outstanding balance. They promote the Plenti points, and you are really getting kill with the rate. This is just a robbery.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Macy's Credit Card - I have been a Macy's customer for many years. I have used their credit card service for many of my purchases in order to get the promos and discounts. I have paid the balance off many times also. My current balance is $0 and believe me it will stay at $0. They raised my interest rate to 26 PERCENT! A zero balance and an excellent credit score gets you NOTHING with this company. Well now they get nothing from me. UGH!

Original review: July 17, 2017

On Friday 30th of June I went to the Macy's store in Towson Town Center, Towson Maryland. I spoke with Holly and Jaime that night. I went to the store to return a pair of shoes which I purchased in New York city as they cut the back of my foot and they started to bleed. I left the shoes because Holly and Jaime were not helpful. On Monday 3rd July, I called and spoke with the store Manager Nequa ** and explained that I made a return and I emailed her the receipt because the money was not refunded back to me.

I was told by Nequa that day that she was putting the refund in the mail, mind you I live 5 minutes away from the store so it shouldn't take more than 3 days to receive a letter in the mail. I received one email from Nequa saying that she will check on it. Since then I have spoken to Moe, another manager and he told me that the letter was in their mailing department and never got sent out, he said he will overnight it sent out, this was on Friday 7/14/17. It is now Monday 7/17/17 and I have not received any refund.

Original review: July 4, 2017

Macy's made multiple transactions for the same order as the first was declined by the bank due to fraud protection. Although the 2nd transaction was successful with the bank, all Macy's orders were cancelled, meaning I was charged but nothing was going to be delivered by Macy's. We spent 5 HOURS ON THE PHONE to ensure we would receive our items, however to do so they made a 3rd credit card transaction. After getting it back down to only 1 transaction, they said they would give us expedited shipping for free, however charged us $19 for the "free" shipping. In addition our credit card still has $600 hold for 3-5 business days. My said they can simply put an immediate cancellation on the order and I even conferenced the bank on the line with Macy's to explain. They still have not cancelled the transaction and I cannot use my credit card.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Over a year ago I purchased a 14K gold chain for a loved one and I also got a 3 year warranty for it. While they were sleeping the chain broke and I took it back to Macy's and was told that it would take 2 weeks to repair. That seemed like a lot to me since small boutiques only take a few days but I didn't say anything. More than 3 weeks went by and I received no phone call telling me the chain was ready. I called them and the lady could not track my order via surname or customer number. I began to worry and she told me a manager would call me later in the day. Sure enough she did and told me the chain wasn't there and that the repairman would send it back Monday and it should arrive at the store on Wednesday.

Then Thursday came and I received no phone call yet again. I called and was told that the chain had been there since Monday. I got to the store and the lady asked me if I had been notified. I told her that I was the one who had to call. Horrible experience and I regret purchasing the chain and especially the warranty since they can't keep track of valuable items when taken in for repair.

Original review: June 28, 2017

MACY'S credit services are horrible. I had a Macy's credit card for a few years stuck on 200.00 credit limit. So every time I requested a credit limit I was always declined. So I applied again and I thought that Macy's would grant my request for an increase in my credit line. So they asked me if they could call my cell phone to see if this was really me. Instead of calling my cell phone they called my landline phone. While I was talking with them on my landline phone I have used the Macy's credit card and paid off my balance to them. I guess this isn't responsible enough.

They also gave me some bogus story. The reason they could not grant me a credit line increase was because I did not subscribe to their text alerts... which makes absolutely no sense. So I canceled my Macy's card and I will never apply with them again. No wonder Macy's closing stores. They do not know how to treat their paying customers who are responsible until they get their act together. I suggest you shop somewhere else that respects you as a customer. IMHO.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Lousy logistics, worst delivery schedule. Ordered online June 17. Hopefully to make my Alaska trip June 20. Auto email said processing, so thought will make it. It didn't arrive. Fine. Bought another one. Hopeful that it arrives June 24 as I'm travelling international to Asia where I live and just transiting to Seattle for visit to relatives. June 24 today, no shipment. Had I known that they deliver forever, I should have not bothered! Their email is deceiving saying "shipping now" days ago! It should reflect accurate delivery and not give false hopes to consumers. This is very bad practice.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I drove an hour to Macy's to buy a Coach wallet to match my new Coach tote. It had to be ordered by the associate even though the Macy's website said it was available at the store. When the khaki/dark brown Accordion signature wallet finally arrived, right away I knew it was counterfeit. It came wrapped in a plastic bag with multiple rubber bands around it. The bands were too tight and "damaged" the wallet. The price was torn off. The signature "Cs" did not line up, and more. This shipment came from the San Antonio warehouse.

At present & after talking to different people thru Macy's 800 phone #, Macy's is allegedly shipping a "real" one to me, but this has been a terrible, terrible, terrible hassle. I went thru three different phone representatives trying to get them to understand AND document (for Coach's sake & theirs - um, their stores are closing) what had happened so as to crack down on guilty culprits swapping out real for counterfeit merchandise somewhere at Macys.

The representatives each had a spiel down that didn't match what I was trying to do. It is NOT enough for them to send me a different (authentic?) wallet. They need to have better security in their warehouses or elsewhere & dispense -- in the harshest manner possible -- those guilty employees who are doing this. I write this because there are other reports on the web by people who have received fake Coach items from Macys. After years of loyalty, I don't think I will be shopping there ever again.

Original review: June 21, 2017

Went to Macy's in Marlboro. Had a great girl named Samantha. Sometimes when you're older, they tend to ignore you or let someone else to take care of you. She told me she would be with me in a few minutes & she was. Sat me in a chair & helped me with all my needs. She gave me recommendations that helped me make the right choices. My main complaint is that all the makeup counters are understaffed. Usually have to go hunt someone up. I will be returning again next week to see her for more help. She is definitely an asset to store. Thank you.

Original review: June 20, 2017

Am a fan of Macy's store, love Macy's with my all but last week, 9th of June, I bought my Clinique powder online for a store pick up. On the 13th a reminder was sent to pick up the item but because of my busy schedule, I couldn't make it. Today 19th of June, I tracked it to see if it's still available for pick up or canceled and to my surprise, I saw a "picked up" message. Picked up? by who? After work, I went into the store to ask if am going to be refunded and I was met with a surprise, they claimed it has Never happened before and they have to investigate before letting me go, I was literally held at Macy's for 2hrs while they "INVESTIGATE".

The manager was called in, she told them to give me my refund but what made me mad was the look on the cashier's face, they still couldn't believe I didn't pick it up. Maybe it's because am **, am not sure... But I felt awful, they didn't even apologize for keeping me waiting while they did their stupid investigation. Am very upset.

Original review: June 4, 2017

I ordered e-gift card for my son. Went thru no problem. Several hours later I get email that order cancelled and to call this number. I called the number and they said the order didn't go through even though I had email confirmation. I checked PayPal and it said Macy's cancelled the order. The woman at Macy's made me go to the website, order the card again so she could ok it. I then looked at PayPal and could see it and the e-card was sent to my son. My ex husband tried to do the same thing and it was cancelled twice. Done with the Macy's forever.

Macy's Company Information