1.19/5

1005 Kmart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 5, 2019

I live in Brooklyn and so I have to travel through Staten Island then into New Jersey to shop at the last Kmart in the area. It is important to note first bridge is 19 dollars second is 18 dollars. I go there to buy all the things I need as a single man. To find someone to assist is nearly impossible. When checking out there is one person at customer service and one lane open and I still return often but their return policy is for the birds. I was a few days past the return time. But I had a receipt and the items were new and sealed. So I asked for store credit and then was surprised to hear they can only do exchanges. I asked for manager. This took over 45 minutes as they were in the break room and could not be reached for a while.

So I was told again only exchange. I explained I was buying 12 items and it would cost me 5x more than the store credit I was requesting. I know they can use the business. I was told there is nothing they can do so I left. Did not buy anything and I will never return. I also tell people to avoid this company. I think it should close down and it is their own fault. I was more loyal than most. I am 55 year old man and I traveled, paid tolls and gas, only to be mistreated.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I ordered two sets of gray curtains and when they arrived the curtains were tan with flowers. I tried calling customer service but after an hour on hold I hung up. Absolutely awful customer service! I will never shop online or in the store again!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

(Clearly Online it said that they do have it in store pick up only, no deliveries) FRIGIDAIRE FFRA0522R1 A/C with remote control for $129. At Store #420 Kmart Of Bruckner Blvd Bx NY.10473 I arrive the same day for pick up in store. Spoke to the manager. She said to order it online and that they don’t have it. I asked her why they do this and that it’s a waste of time having this online. She replied, "I don’t know". I placed the order online, the following day I received a confirmation email saying that item has arrived for pick up.

I arrived happy and again the bomb “boom” nothing. I spoke to manager again and she told me she couldn’t do nothing and that the only thing she could do for me is to take a manual A/C they had for the one I paid online for. She tells me again, "You could either take this manual A/C or get your money back. We don’t have it." What a waste of time. No wonder they going out of business after so many years buying off from Kmart wow. Bad experience and the main thing (False Advertising) of appliances.

Original review: April 1, 2019

On 3/31/2019 I was shopping for dog food and while browsing I found a box filled with RAWHIDE EXPRESS 105201 Large Rawhide Baguette Beef Filled for Pets, 8-Inch bones. The tags on them say best used by 2017. That is almost 2 years expired. Now I’m no professional but I’m sure that it can’t be healthy or good for any dog or anyone to consume food that is out of date by 2 years.

This is not the first time I’ve found expired dog food at this Kmart. A few month ago I found a bunch and complained to have the manager tell me he would fix the issue but clearly the issue has not been fixed. When I brought this to a employees attention I was treated badly as the associate Jacob responded with, "I’m only 17. I can’t do anything about that" and walked away from me. Then another associate said, "We don’t own this store" and walked away. I asked for a manager but was told they are busy with an employee who just had a seizure and I was shunned away. As clearly no one there cares if they sell expired food products that can potentially harm or kill a innocent animal.

About 30 mins later I called and spoke to a manager who clearly did not care and sounded like she was laughing at what I had to say as she said she was gonna go check the food there and said the reason I found that is because they are short staffed but I saw 6 employees doing nothing up at the registers.. The lack of customer service here on top of expired food is unacceptable. I didn’t even get a apology. I was blown off. I picked up the box and put it behind two double doors right by pet department. Hopefully someone will not put it back out.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I had placed an order through WhyNotLeaseIt. I got most of my items. I did not get my tv. Said that it would be here February 20th and here 8 days later they switched the shipper and they sent me the wrong tracking number. Was on the phone with them and they couldn’t give me any information. I am very unhappy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kmart?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Non existent staff. One register only even when 10 people are in line. Part of the store was closed off, cramping the rest. Filthy restrooms next to food area. Mis-tagged items. Paid $45 for two shirts that were tagged $12 each. Even online Kmart advertised those same shirts at $17 each. But I was too busy to return and I purchased items for a job event the next morning so I was stuck. Shouldn't have to scan my receipt for errors before leaving the store. This place is a joke. Needs to close already.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased items from Kmart online and returned most of them to the Kalgoorlie store on 17th January 2019. As I paid via AfterPay I was told that my refund of $72.00 would take approx. 5 business days to reflect on my AfterPay account which sounded acceptable. On the 31st of January 2019 I still have not received my refund so I called the online shopping customer service centre. The agent I spoke to profusely apologised that the refund has not been processed and requested a screenshot of the refund receipt to facilitate her to have it processed that same day. I only received confirmation of that they received said refund receipt on the 8th of February 2019 which stated that it would take up to 5 business days for the funds to be returned to my account.

On the 18th of February 2019 I still have not received my refund so once again I called the online customer service centre. Again, the customer service representative apologised that it has not yet been processed and assured me that she had escalated it to be processed the same day and that I would receive an email confirming that the refund has been processed within the next 5 to 10 minutes.

The following day, still not having received an email confirmation I called again. A customer service agent named Ifra noted that it still had not been processed only to give me the same assurance as the previous agent I spoke to that it would be processed the same day. I informed her that the service was unacceptable. I requested to speak to a supervisor after which I was forwarded to a voicemail which disconnected before I could even say 10 words. I then received an email from AfterPay that a refund of $3.00 from Kmart has been made to my account. Awesome Kmart, only $69.00 more to go!!! And by the way, your online service centre is clearly useless.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered a TV on November 23rd for delivery by December 5th. It’s December 18th and still no TV. I’ve called every day and can’t seem to get anyone who speaks English and they refuse to get me a Supervisor or someone who does. They finally sent my info to the Online Escalation Dept to get me some answers. Last week I received an email that my item shipped, but the shipping company’s tracking system was down. The same day I received a notice from Kmart that an item I was looking for was back in stock. It was the TV I had been waiting for. Why couldn’t they just tell me they sold out!!

Still no TV so I called the shipping company. They have no order in the system for me. I have been lied to repeatedly and I’m out a lot of money and can’t get any answers. DO NOT order from them unless you don’t need the item when they say it will come. You will be very disappointed! And now here’s another reason why their overall rating is a ONE star. They don’t care!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I'd love to give an actual review of the two toys I bought for my daughter for Christmas, but I haven't received them yet! Layaway was paid 11/26 and it is 12/12. Customer Service chat is a joke - not helpful and very difficult to understand. After I kept arguing saying it is past the 7-10 business days, I was told (3 times) the agent finally said, "Oh - I see the 10th day passed (12/7)." Hello!!! Never buying from them again. No wonder they are going under!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Kmart is terrible at online order. They take forever to send you your order. And when it is finally at their store they will still lose it when you go pick it up. Very disorganize and if they dont have the product you ordered online they will send you a completely different order. They even sent me a pair of shoes with the tags saying the size I wanted but within the sole of the shoes was a completely different size. Never shop at the Kmart in Stockton Ca. They won't even go to the back to check for your correct order and just throw a refund at you.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

The old lady Rose, at customer service was the most awful experience I and my husband ever had. Mind you we are seniors ourself. We went to return two pair of boots. She started yelling because she smelled pot on my husband. My husband who is 66 years old has a pot card to buy pot. Well Rose decided to go off and yell that she smells pot and she was rude and she was doing all of this in front of other customers. We have never been so mortified. We will never go to the Kmart at Somerville, MA ever again. I hope they all close down.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I am pissed that they are closing. The Kmart in North Versailles is near me. I shop in Kmart all the time. There are thing I cannot buy online! I need to try things on before. I buy clothes and shoes. I won’t need my Shop Your Way card anymore because I will not shop online. The only thing I didn’t buy at Kmart was underwear. They were stiff and ran small. There has to be another store then North Versailles!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Store is misleading customers on sale prices. Signs say 85% off lowest prices marked but instead they go back and take it off the original price. When you point it out to them and other customers are agreeing with you and the manager is saying they don't care what it says to take it or leave it, I'll leave it. Went back in about 10 minutes to take picture of sign. They took a marker and marked out the discount on lowest price. Glad you are closing because if you weren't I will never shop your stores again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I pride myself on starting my Christmas shopping as soon as all our gifts have been opened Christmas day. Being a family of five with not so great pay, I place items on layaway so I can get my family what they need and hopefully a few wants. But this year, they'll be lucky to get 4 gifts each. I always assumed by having layaway it meant the item I wanted would be held until I've completed my agreed upon amount, then it would be shipped to me. But not with Sears/Kmart. They failed to hold up to their own contract. They sold out of multiple items and decided to cancel my layaways without notifying me and NEVER returned my money. I've been fighting with them for 2 months until they sent me a check which made me ecstatic but behold, NO ONE, not even KMart could cash the check. The reason? They didn't print the numbers correctly on the check.

I've now been fighting to get the money returned to my account instead of a paper check, but they can't. Why? Because it should have been done when they canceled ALL 4 layaways. So here we are, in the middle of November with nothing to put under the tree. Thanks a lot, Sears/Kmart. I'll NEVER do business with you again and I will make it a point to tell the entire country how you ruined my family's Christmas.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I bought two Halloween items on 11/6/18, tried to return them on 11/9/18. They refused my return because they are holiday items - which I bought AFTER the holiday. There is absolutely NOTHING on my receipt saying they would not be returnable, Kmart customer service just said "That is our policy." My receipt states items are returnable within 30 days. I feel deceived and they can make up anything excuse they want, horrible customer service. You lost a customer when you should be bending over backwards to keep customers.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I love this Kmart in Stevensville, MD 21666. I walked in the store on Monday, November 5th at approximately 7:30pm and the staff was outstanding. Ms. Kathy, the supervisor, and her entire staff in the women's department was extremely helpful, very pleasant, and knowledgeable of all of the products that I was interested in or just had questions about. I live an hour away and always find a reason to stop and shop at this Kmart whenever I am in the area.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

For the first time ever I ordered from kmart.com. My mother wanted specific shoes that they carry. I ordered 2 pair of white as a gift. When the order arrived they were gray! Mom said she would keep 1 gray but really wanted white. I called customer service. I spoke to someone whose English was not good. After nearly 15 minutes he was able to send me a label to return the shoes. At this point he felt he was done, completely forgetting I had asked to get the shoes I had originally ordered. Once he figured out how to get me the replacements, we hung up, only to find he charged me $6 more than I originally paid! I am too frustrated to even call back and try to get a price adjustment. I hope the shoes actually show up and are correct. Never ever will shop with Kmart or Sears again. Absolutely ridiculous!!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

It is as if they put clearance items out, but don't really want you to buy them. I have at times had multiple clearance items at the register. The cashiers have to call a manager to get an override and do something in the register, press something like sale date. Sometimes the line can get backed up waiting for the manager and this can be very embarrassing, This has happened more than once in the Bridgehampton NY store. They need a better system for checking out clearance items.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Since July 17, when I placed an order with Kmart for a Bed-in-a-bag for my daughter, I have had nothing but aggravation! First, they sent my order to Florida and I live in Doylestown, Pennsylvania (with absolutely no connection to Florida!). 2nd, when August 16 came around and still no order, I had to go to a store and purchase another bed in the bag set (mind you I already paid Kmart $80 + dollars). Third, they told me I received my order which I myself tracked to Fl and had to tell them! It's now September 5, I have not received my refund and the company either texts me or calls me every day with questions!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Over the years we had received good quality and value from Kmart brand products and good service from the stores. However, in recent years there has been a steep decline in product quality with company policies that seem to run contrary to the interest of keeping customers. Maybe it's from nostalgia for the old days or perhaps misplaced pity or foolish loyalty, but it felt sad to see so many Kmart stores closing and sad to think about all the people who will be losing their jobs as the result. So, I made a "good-faith" conscious decision to buy a small piece of furniture from Kmart online. I was happy to see that the style and model of chest that I wanted was still available, and more so that it would be available for pick up at a local store the same day!

Knowing that websites aren't always updated in a timely fashion, I decided to call the store to confirm that the item was in stock - YES! So, despite the fact that the so-called local Kmart is quite a distance away from our house (our own truly local Kmart closed YEARS ago in one of the first waves of closures) we decided it was worth it to make an online order. We picked up the item and didn't expect for there to be any problem. However, once the box was opened we noticed that significant parts were missing. We've had that happen before with other brands of assemble-at-home furnishing, but have always been able to call a manufacturer's phone number to request replacement parts. We tried to do that this time but couldn't, because the chest was manufactured in Brazil and there was nobody there who could speak English to us! And we don't speak Portuguese!

On closer inspection of the instruction sheets, it became apparent that the although the sketches of the chest were very similar, this kit WAS NOT THE SAME AS THE ONE WE HAD ORDERED! What we received was produced by a different manufacturer! This surely felt like bait-and-switch. So, I tried to do live chat on the Kmart website. Took a very long time for someone to connect, had difficulty retrieving the order number (didn't already have it handy) then got disconnected. Tried to contact them again, waited around and then gave up.

Is it any wonder that the company is having problems? Why can't retailers see that the key to having a thriving business is to treat the customer well? Customers may not always be right, but they are not totally stupid either. Poor customer service and shoddy workmanship will ultimately drive customers into the arms of competitors.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Have been a long time customer of Kmart and Shop Your Way rewards. As of recent, points earned have not been received, orders were missing items and after calling 6 times, was either hung up on or put on hold for over a hour with no return, after speaking with Shop Your Way customer service, there was nothing they could do about the 37.00$ in points I didn't receive, not the 12.00$ in points that mysteriously disappeared from my account.

Finally received an email that 14.00 would be refunded for the missing comforter (yes the 38$ comforter set was missing the comforter). I am not sure how they came up with that amount for the mail item in the set, but not only did they refund 14.00 but they took 12.00 back in points that were awarded for this purchase. So all in all, I received a refund of 2.00 and never received my cash back points of 27.00 for the purchase. No wonder the store is going out of business and no longer care about the reputation of their business to their valued customers. I personally will not be returning back as a customer.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I had placed an item on layaway over a month ago. I admit, I was late on last payment. According to my contract agreement on my receipt it states, "Merchandise would be returned to stock 7 days after due date." When I realized I had forgotten to make my payment, I attempted to pay it online. Their website is a joke so don’t bother thinking you will get anywhere on that thing. Anyway, so I called the store because I wouldn’t be able to get to the store to make the payment until 8 days after payment due date and wanted to see if it could be held for just one more day. Only to discover item was already returned to stock. I was told there is only a 5 day grace period. I said, "My contract says 7! I was also told 7 when I placed the item on layaway." The woman said, “oh, that was changed, but we never bothered to update the contract.”

If you look at their website for contract details it states a 14 day grace period. She was kind of snippy and made a comment about it being late. She ended the conversation with saying there was nothing she could do, it’s all done electronically and they have no control over it. Again, I realize I was late and that is 100% my fault. However, is it supposed to be no big deal that they change their policies but offer no updates to the consumer? This isn’t the first time I have had issues with this chain but have gone back here and there in hopes things would have improved only to be disappointed. At one time I was sad that so many Kmart stores have been closing. Mainly because they are the only store that has layaway and sometimes that comes in handy. But I will not be returning to Kmart.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I ordered 5 pack of tank tops from Kmart. Hanes brand. When I received package it was new but it was only for 4 Tank tops. I had to go to store and make an even exchange with correct item 5 tank tops as my order says. However upon the customer service reviewing my order I not only had to go out of my way to get this item but they charged me $1.15 extra to make the exchange. Next time I'll go to store to make the purchase. Saves me on shipping cost.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Bought 2 pair shoes online from Kmart (one from Kmart and another from Sears) and pick up in the store. When I wanted to return the items they did not accept the Sears item. When I try return to Sears they say the item is not from them. Now I am stuck with item. I will never buy from them online ever and will let everyone I know what false advertisement they do and trap people.

Original review: June 18, 2018

On June 7th 2018 I was shopping for a large TV at Kmart at 245 East Maryland in St. Paul. I was barefoot because I had just done a barefoot walk around the nearby lake. I live a barefoot lifestyle for health reasons. I was told at a Florida Kmart just weeks before that the company had no policy against barefoot customers. I talked to the store manager specifically about shopping barefooted. They were glad to have any customers barefoot or wearing shoes. I was looking at TVs at the Maryland St. Paul store, and a manager told me to leave the store immediately because I was barefoot. I asked to see that policy in writing. She said she would call police if I didn’t leave, so I decided to leave. I have shopped many Kmart stores all over the country barefooted, and always was greeted and helped without confrontation.

I called their corporate office and complained of discrimination. They said their manager had no business telling me to leave. They missed out on a sale. I went to Walmart and bought a TV instead. I was also barefoot when I purchased it from Walmart. No wonder Kmart is going broke. Who cares what people wear. Flip flops and sandals are more dangerous than bare feet. I still go there barefoot there just to see if it happens again. I wish more people would do it too just to prove a point. I hate when managers make up rules that don’t exist. Other managers at the same store have helped me and just said “Oh, no shoes today huh”, not, "You can’t be in here barefoot." They helped me like any other customer. Going barefoot is legal. Look up "Barefoot is legal" on Twitter. Help stop this from happening. Thanks!

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have enjoyed having a Kmart in Norridge, Illinois. It is near my home and I buy a lot of clothing there. I would miss shopping online if it were gone, but regardless, they really need to make some improvements. A major problem is their in-store pickup; nothing is ever ready to pickup in a timely manner, even when the item is right there on the shelf. There was one time I ordered an item for pickup and it took 5 hours to get the email that the item was ready, all they had to do was pluck it off the shelf but it took 5 hours for that.

This is one of the more popular Kmart locations in Illinois, but it shouldn't take that much time. Target and Walmart can usually get in-stock items ready for pickup in under two hours. During another pickup, I had gotten the email and rushed to the store but they hadn't even removed the item from the shelf yet. When the girl went to get it, they didn't even have the item and had not in years. Their website clearly was not updated. I just recently made a purchase for pickup on an item that said they had some in-stock. After over 48 hours of waiting for the email to alert me to come to the store, it turned out they didn't actually have any in-stock and were attempting to source the item from another location and it was taking a long time.

I had to cancel after waiting and then repurchase for a higher price at another store. Many of the employees appear to be lazy as they seem put out if you ask them to do anything, and that goes for the old and the young. Nobody knows anything about anything. The store could use a good cleaning. Some of the floors are terrible looking. Kmart doesn't have to be a bad place to shop, but it seems the head honchos don't care about the stores, even the ones that make good money.

Original review: April 22, 2018

My wife bought over $200 worth of home essentials... Mostly new towels, washcloths, etc. to match a new bathroom remodel we did. My wife bought 2 sets of colors, one of which did not match the new color scheme. Additionally, we had one towel of the color we did like that was defective (when we unfolded it, it had several noticeable thread-pulls. Without attempting to defend our delay, I went to return the items 34 days after the purchase. Everything still had tags, everything was still in the bag, and I had the receipt. I was told that according to Kmart policy, I could not return them. I ask if there was anything that could be done. The person said no. No credit... No exchange... Not anything. Basically, I was stuck with these items.

I decided to try again a couple days later and speak with the store manager. I received the same response. I even tried to negotiate getting just getting a replacement for the one towel that had the defects-- they wouldn't even exchange that one defective towel -- it was less than $10! I followed up by called corporate HQ number and received the exact same response. When I compare with Walmart, Target, Kohl's, etc... Minimum return window is 90 days. For those last two, the time is indefinite if you have a receipt.

Generally speaking, those return processes are comparatively "HASSLE-FREE." Strangely, if you sign up as a Kmart member you get an additional 15 days (45 days) to return things... Which still isn't competitive. The person didn't even say, "hey, let's just check to see if you are a member." or "if you sign up as a member now, we will honor the return." The point is that there was no solution to help me as a customer. Kmart policy was very rigid, and there appears to be no room for entrepreneurial behavior to help customers with problems. That said... I am no longer shopping at Kmart or Sears (Kmart's parent company).

Original review: March 31, 2018

Ordered 6 "room darking" shades that turned out not to be "room darkening" at all. Returned them almost 3 weeks ago. Kmart ordered UPS pick-up. Now I can't seem to get a refund. I've chatted with them at least 3 times, and they keep telling me that a refund will be deposited in 3 to 5 business days. As of yet, it hasn't happened. They are very difficult to get a hold of, unless you do the "chat" option. The last gentleman I spoke with, told me that they hadn't been received yet. I sent him a copy of the UPS tracking, and he still insisted he was right. Then he told me that he'd make an exception and refund my money anyway. Guess what? It hasn't happened.

This company is terrible to deal with. There's really no way to contact anyone other than who they WANT you to have contact with, and those people don't do anything to help you. I'm so frustrated, and will never, never buy from them again. My system is prohibiting me from sharing my receipt or the UPS tracking that I have. I could forward them to a specific email address, however.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I purchased a shapewear top for 19.99 and an underwear for 1.49 at Kmart. I had the receipt but I left the bag in the car and the ink faded so I threw the receipt away, anyways when I finally remembered to return the merchandise there was a new policy about returning merchandise, “If you lost the receipt then you have to find the same merchandise to be able to return your merchandise.” Well that was what Melinda ** told me.” She is the overnight supervisor. I told her, “Find it yourself.” You see there 4x is actually a 2x. Their panty just bought by mistake.

She told me that she could find a larger size. From my perspective the shapewear was a missize. I took the merchandise back. I will not be returning to Kmart. I spend 500-1000 dollars there every month. Wouldn’t it be wiser to please the customer and keep them coming back or lose a customer who spends a thousand dollars a month there. Do the math!

Original review: March 2, 2018

The online sales are awful. I ordered a set of glassware, it arrived, two glasses short, they were not broken, just missing. Was never resolved so I gave up. Then I stupidly ordered three sets of earrings, they arrived all broken up and mangled, now it's like an act of congress to return them. Really!!! I am beginning to see why they are going out of business. They used to be my 'go to' store. I think I am done.

Kmart Company Information