1.14/5

1591 JCPenney Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 17, 2019

Customer Service transfer me to 'Corporate Relations'. Spoke with VETTA. She was Rude and Condescending, didn't make any attempt to clarify why I only got 50% of the amount charged when I returned the items purchased online to the Northridge store within 3 week from arrival. All she said is that she's in Ohio and I needed to go back to the store where I did the return because she wasn't there at the time of the return???

When I mentioned that she has been rude and that expected more from Corporate Relations, that even the person who transfer me to her was much courteous, she responded that she's in the Corporate offices and SUPERIOR to the person who transferred me! Really? She decided to transfer me to another lady who 2 minutes in the conversation hang up on me. Third person I spoke with was a male named Lency, said that the return was done the night before and that I needed to call back after 3 days when the charges show on my credit card. Don't they have records of transactions? Seems like no one is willing make any effort to help. Too bad, I used to like JCPenney.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I purchased a clearance item online and by the time I picked it up the price had gone down. When I asked the clerk if I could get the difference she called a manager who denied stating they don't do price differences on clearance merchandise. So I called the customer sec # and was told the same thing. I went to their policies and in writing it says nothing to that effect and called back and after a conversation she gave me the corporate number. They didn't even hesitate and assured I would get the difference back in my account. Just to think how many people they have done that too. I cut up my charge and I will no longer shop there.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

The last 2 times I've ordered online from JCPenney, I never get my order, or notifications regarding my order. This is twice now that I order and get an email saying is has shipped, but don't come to the store yet for pickup as the full order is not in yet. Then that's it. You never hear again. You finally call the 800 customer service number and they say that some are shipped but not others and to contact the store directly. You then contact the store and they say that most of the order was shorted and that they will have to return it all and try to reorder with no guarantee you will get your stuff.

Okay, so why haven't I been notified for over 2 weeks about it, yet they charged my card immediately. They also had me give them my card number over the phone if I want to try to reorder. I should have known after the first time this happened, but really want to support other stores, but won't make this mistake again. They just take and use your money and never provide the products. Just sad that they are their own undoing in this world of Amazon etc.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I see why this company is struggling. Their service is HORRIBLE! I won't go into a long story but in the day of online shopping, Amazon and all, these people have fallen so far behind they are not even considerable anymore. I ordered several items from them, one showed up in the store. I spend the next 40 MINUTES!!! trying to resolve the issue. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and ordered again. One month later, no items AND THEY CHARGE YOUR CARD!!! I made several phone calls to resolve the issue. They promised a refund and here we are 9 days later - no refund. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I purchased a mattress from JCPenney 12/11/18. Delivered 12/28. I contacted the co. about the faulty sagging mattress 1/30/19. They wanted to charge $85 plus 15% restocking fee and they would return the purchase price. We don't have this money for a faulty mattress.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I bought a watch from JCPenney and was hard sold a jewelry care plan. Associate who sold me the watch told me her husband had the same exact one and that if the band ever got worn out they would replace it. That’s exactly what happened, and when I brought it in for replacements they told me that because it was cosmetic there was nothing they could do. Because of this experience I will never purchase another item from this company again. They lost me because they wouldn’t replace a $20 watch band. JCPenney is not a customer-focused business and they deserve to go bankrupt.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My fiance went into JC Penney about a month ago and paid 1500.00 for a engagement ring. He left the ring there to be sized which took 3 weeks. When he went to pick the ring up the ring was lost and management had to come help locate it. He purposed 2 days later. The first day I wore it two diamonds fell out. I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH YOU PAY FOR A RING YOU SHOULDN'T LOSE TWO DIAMONDS THE FIRST DAY YOU PUT IT ON. He called and spoke with management and was told since he didn't buy the extended warranty there was nothing they could do. IF YOU NEED TO BUY JEWELRY PLEASE DON'T GO TO JC PENNEY. THEY ARE A RIP OFF! Go to an actual jewelry store and get your money's worth.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I purchased a new mattress at JCPenney for $1,400.00 at the Dadeland store on January 20th 2019. The same day I found a better mattress at Macy’s for less money. So I went back to JCPenney and found the same salesman and told him that I wanted to cancel the order. JCPenney charged my credit card for the full amount and was told by the furniture department that I needed to file a dispute with the JCPenney credit card department. Today is February 4th and they have not credited my account. I was told by the credit department that it will be a good idea to make the minimum payment when due on February 20th. Pay for something that I never received, and never delivered and the cancellation was done the next day. I will never buy a pair of socks at JCPenney. And I will copy this notice and publish it on all the online means.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I recently visited JCPenney in Forestville MD to buy bday gift for a friend and I went to several stores before I came to JCP. I found after 10 mins. What I was looking for/men's Under Armour shirts & pants individually wrapped of course. There was several to choose from but only 2 in the XXL sizes for bottoms/tops. I took all 4 packs (2 tops/2 bottoms thermals). The cashier in customer service location scanned the items but 2 wasn't scanning so she told me I couldn't get them. I told her just scan the other 2 that do scan. Went through and that should take care of that. She said no.

I ask for manager. The cashier associate explained to her what was going on and the manager told me they cannot sell me the items. They wasn't suppose to be on the floor and need to be returned to manufacturer etc. That they are putting up in season items and pulling all out season items. I said, "If that was true why did the other 2 go thru/scanned and put in the bag for me." She reply, "We cannot sell them." I told her this is the first time I've ever experienced this. It's not my fault it was on the floor/men's department for sale. Secondly if the barcode cannot be scanned just scan the other 2 that was exactly what I brought shirt/bottoms they are same prices. What is the problem. Others stores has done it and even gave me raincheck etc. I know it can be done. She said no.

I called customer service and the rep. listened as I explained to her and then she ask to speak with store associate/cashier. Then manager spoke only to get me back on the phone and say... THEY CANNOT SCAN THE ITEMS/2 SO I CANNOT GET THEM... I said it can be done as I explained and ask to speak with her manager...while I was on hold...the manager told me hang up after I was on phone 20 mins and says, "I will just scanned the other 2 items you already purchased." I was furious but glad she finally said okay. I knew they could do it and customer service could have too.

Customers are to get 100% satisfaction and I felt like I didn't get that. And I was willing to pay whatever for them and if it wasn't a bday and I didn't spend half my morning in other stores. I WOULD HAVE LEFTED EVERYTHING ON THE COUNTER BUT TRYING TO BE NICE AND STAY CALM. This is how I was treated. JCP not losing anything if anything you're gaining from the transaction. What a day I had.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Purchased a microwave and a refrigerator. They both needed to be serviced within a year. Having someone to come and service them is a hassle. They send you to many different departments. Please do not purchase anything from Samsung.

JCPenney expert review by ConsumerAffairs

JCPenny was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenny has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenny store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

• Best for: jcp.com carries adults’ and children’s shoes and is best for bargain hunters and busy adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs