1.09/5
Based on 273 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

JCPenney

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 22, 2018

1390 JCPenney Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Ordered online for ship to store. 3 weeks later the item is still not there; nobody knows if it will make it to the store. Customer service won't refund. I have to go IN the store to get a refund on an item I never received. To make matters worse I was lied to by a customer service agent that she was able to cancel the order and ship me a replacement. She did neither of those.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

In Ontario, Ca. the delivery service used is beyond irresponsible. They lied about the times they were coming. No one is held accountable for the lies they tell and misinformation, neither JCPenney nor GE delivery service is proactive to resolve the misinformation provided it’s just tough luck on the consumer. The fridge will be delivered whenever they want and we as the consumer need to just jump into place to conform to whenever they decide to deliver the product. If you're going to be making such an important larger purchase DO NOT USE JCPENNEY or GE delivery!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I went in and the salesman (dept. manager) said, "If you buy two of these you get $100 rebate." He pointed out the Frigidaire refrigerator and stove. We asked if they were qualified for the rebate and he said "yes". He did the paperwork and off we went. He gave us the rebate forms and the other paperwork and made sure we knew to send these rebate forms in with the necessary documents quickly, to as not to be turned down for being too late. The items were delivered late, but delivered nonetheless. We did what was required for the rebates and sent them off in the mail. Later we found out they turned down the rebate due to us not sending in a copy of the receipt, etc. Now I know for a fact that we sent that information in the first time, but sent it in again. Went to the rebate tracking site and again was told it was turned down.

Finally, got a person to use the chat function (usually it doesn't work they say it's only opened during certain days and times, yet you trying to contact them during those days and hours). I asked the person who was using the screen name "Carlos". He told me the models I bought were not part of the rebate, the model numbers of both were invalid. I asked what else we could do because the store said they were, he sent the information to someone else who could help.

Now days later nothing from JCPenney rebates, so I try their system again, this time I found an automated phone number, gave me the same invalid reasons. The automated system transferred me to a person. He again said the model numbers were invalid and nothing he could do. He said the store shouldn't have done that, but he can't help. I believe this is fraud because I have pictures of the refrigerator in the store with 2 forms of information taped to it showing the rebate information. So selling without the intent to rebate is fraud. DO NOT BUY FROM JCPENNEY's.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I placed an online order at JCPenney.com in the amount of $438.00. On the website it says it was delivered on Monday but I never got the package. I called the customer service today and after 25 minutes waiting on the line they said that I have to call again tomorrow because the department that can help me is closed today. So tomorrow I have to go through the same process of waiting around 30 minutes. I also tried to send an email using their website and guess what? After writing everything and confirming, I got a message saying, "Our message system is currently unavailable". That was a terrible experience and I hope they give my refund and I'll never buy anything with them again.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We ordered at JCPenney on 4th January and showing was shipped on 17 January. We didn't not receive anything. They were unable to find after calling several time. Either no one pick or promise to call you back after finding it but no one contact. Tell them this is worst experience. When asked to reorder and deliver to home address they charge shipping price and they are unable to find when shipped to store. This is the worst store.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Customer service is horrible for this store. They are like a cold dead fish and not helpful at all. They shipped me a item that had the wrong product in the box. Yes I am the one that has to ship back to get a credit and deal with the headache of their mistake. Best to stick to Amazon as they would have told you to keep the product and then resend a new one of the right item. JCPenney wasn’t concerned about the customer and the bad review to follow. They will not be around much longer at this rate of service.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Went to Destiny USA in Syracuse to buy a new mattress set along with a new headboard. Salesperson ordered headboard online and the mattress set thru the store. Wanted all on one bill because I wanted the 18 months interest free. Was told I could go home and call JCPenney Credit and they would put everything on one purchase so I could get the 18 months interest free. JC Penny Credit told me on the phone that I would have to go back to store and have ordered cancelled and redo order as a Online Order. So went back to store and cancelled order and reordered the ordered along with adding a new bed frame. A few days went by and I received a bed frame from UPS. A few more days went by and I got (2) Headboards from UPS. Next day I returned to JCPenney with (1) headboard and told them I got (2) when ordered only (1). Found out on that day that the 1st Order was never cancelled.

Sales manager went and cancelled first order. Got a phone call from trucking company (4) days later that they had a mattress set to deliver. Set up the time for the next day delivery. Trucking company came the next day and came to the door for delivery of (2) mattress sets!!! After the bed set was all set up, the mattress was a LOT harder than it was in the store. Went back to store at Destiny USA in Syracuse to pick out another set and found out that after we returned the first set and paid for the second set that we were being charged for a restocking fee. Salesperson told us when made first purchase that if we had any problem that we would be able to return it with no problem because we spent more then $600 and would not be charged a fee for returning it.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I placed an order online for my niece's birthday. The item was due to arrive on or the day after her birthday, which was fine. I checked the shipping status online for 3 days but it had not been updated, so I called the automated line. It advised the order has been shipped. 2 days later (the day after my niece's birthday - the day it was due to arrive) I wake up to a text stating my order had been cancelled. I called the 800 number and spoke to a rep (she was very nice and professional) who advised the manufacturing company/factory cancelled the order because they ran out of stock.

*Excuse my language* but what the hell? The order was placed over a week ago and the day it's due to arrive, is when this is realized? So when exactly were they planning to ship the item? And why did the automated line advise that it had been shipped? If you are serious about receiving items you've ordered online, I recommend using another company. There's no telling when or if your order will be cancelled. Oh! The rep at the 800 number advised I could wait a few days and try and order the item again. HA! That'll never happen!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

The customer service and upkeep of this store has declined tremendously. Recently I started going to the JCP at Roosevelt Fields Mall on Long Island. I went to look for a pair of Nike sneakers. The shoe section was a complete mess! Different brands mixed together, Nike boxes open everywhere and all over the floor, the desk a complete mess and a sales rep nowhere to be found after waiting around for a while. Finally, I noticed another worker going to the desk, followed her, and a rep came out from the storage room. So someone was back there. When I asked about the shoes, the rep I followed was helpful enough, she said there was one pair of Nike's I was looking for left on the floor, but I was not going through that mess to search! She didn't seem like she was going to help either.

Then I found the pair online and placed an order for store pickup. I got the initial emails, but no email saying the item was ever shipped. I spoke to a rep through chat, who was helpful. She said to call the store, I tried all day, but no one's picking up. The day I went, I also walked around looking for clothes, and there's clearance racks everywhere! It looks like a warehouse for old clothes. It's overwhelming, so I ended up not buying any clothes that day. Something needs to be done about the management of this store.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I would have gave them no stars, if I could have. Ordered item, paid extra $$ to have it within 2 days, only to now be told I will receive on Monday, which equals 5 days. Transferred 5 different times, customer service is terrible, they didn't care.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

We purchased a (queen) mattress from JCPenney in San Bernardino, Ca. Our sales girl was Perfect! Her name is Andrea **. The store # is 0224. Her Sales # **. She went over & beyond to help us! Thanks Again for a wonderful purchase!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I bought a crockpot that was out of my price comfort on Black Friday because it had a $20 rebate. I waited until after Christmas and a card (instead of a check) finally came in the mail. I tried to use it FOUR TIMES and it was declined. I called the JCPenney reward center and they have a record of $20 being paid to a gas station and 7 cents being refunded a week later. I told them it was declined and we have bank records of paying for gas that day out of our bank account. The rep said I had to bring all the records to the gas station. They aren't going to dispute it. This is NOT the rebate I had expected.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Signs throughout the store 40% off if you spend 40.00. I spent 134.97 not one of my items was discounted 40% off. I did buy a bogo item (Lee jeans) when I asked a employee if they were included she said shrugged her shoulders and said, "I don’t know." So I guessed they were not. But I thought I had enough to get 40% off the other items. I was wrong. Not only did I not get a discount, I was overcharged on a clearance item. Too confusing and no explanation with the signs! I had to go home and go online to read the rules. Very deceptive!!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Some signs posted spend $40 on regular priced items & get 40% off. I got 2 items not on sale & it was over the $40. I didn't receive the 40% off since 1 item was an extreme value. As a customer I don't know all the sales & meanings behind them. I just know it was on sale as they wouldn't know all the meanings to my job at the hospital when they're written. So I asked for management. I get an older rude lady, nothing professional about her & I asked her how is a customer to know what's an extreme value or just a sale. Responds with a I don't care attitude it's what is. Dumb ** doesn't realize that it's a job & employees come & go. She's just there to earn a check she don't deserve.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I just tried to order some items of women's clothing from JCPenney on the phone. I told the person I wanted 9 of the items in white and 1 in beige. She selected those choices, along with size, etc. Then she took my contact info. I was THEN told that there was only one item in my size in white. I was told that their system tells you the availability of an item after they get your contact info, not before. Hmmm. Most, if not all, other places tell you before. I cancelled the order and asked the person to remove my data. I hope it's gone. Anyone have any thoughts about whether that really happened?

Besides this fatal flaw, which aborted this, and possibly future transactions, here was my JCPenney phone order experience: The item of clothing I was looking seem to mostly have one of two prices online at: $20 or $14. The higher price was the manufacturer or more high end outlets, the rest discount outlets. JCPenney was at the lower price point. I got a person pretty quickly after calling JCPenney, and she was American. Getting information thru did not go that smoothly. Part of the problem was drop outs in the connection caused by my phone carrier; part of it seemed to be other things. Everyone working as phone reps seems to be slightly dyslexic now, and I'm not sure JCPenney's computer system was fast enough. The person I spoke to could have had better comprehension and less volatility, but I guess working in a system designed that way riles up all parties.

Suggestions for JCPenney: Establish availability of items upon selection. I was ordering on the phone to avoid giving you my email anyway. Consider allowing online orders without sharing our email address. I got through on the phone fine but consider providing a non-800 number as an alternative because sometimes my phone company's connection to 800 numbers is spotty. That network can be congested and those calls don't go through. I have a large, legacy phone company. Tell people exactly what carrier/grades of mail they are choosing and how long it really takes to get to their location. Let me choose. I would have wanted USPS Priority Mail. If you are misusing or conveying our data to third parties, I hope you stop that. JCPenney as a company seems to be on the precipice. Make good choices.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Stonecrest Mall. This ** woman who could not do basic math had a terrible attitude when I expressed that the items were not ringing up as posted. After she expressed in her ** way that she does not set the prices I asked for a manager who did not know any better. I refused the purchase and reminded them of how I foresee the store closing just like many other have. After research online it seems that the posted signs were outdated that's why the pricing was wrong in the first place but they were too DAMN dumb to figure it out. I am done with JCP and btw I am **. So no prejudice here. Some of us just tend to be ** and I am not afraid to say so.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have never been so unsatisfied with an online purchase before. We ordered a mattress during Black Friday... and it never arrived. Calling JCPenney's ridiculous customer service support did nothing. Waiting on hold for hours got us nowhere, only to be informed it was up to the distributor to deal with our purchase. The distributor simply refused to deliver it. Every week they would say they were scheduling routes the next week. FOR TWO MONTHS. Finally we called to cancel it, and after months of waiting we were now without a bed for months, and screwed because we missed any opportunity for a sale. Unapologetic, they offered nothing but a refund, no acknowledgment of how much they put us through. I will never purchase anything ever again from them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I purchased a $1000 LG washer from the store on January 10. It was delivered with a defective door and taken back and supposedly reordered. I have since spoken with at least 10 associates, been given 7 different stories, and still have yet to get a date for the delivery of the washer I already paid for. To date I have spent 327 minutes on the phone. This the worst customer service and most convoluted process. I requested a discount for my troubles but they don't offer discounts... I instead have to submit a "compensation request" via the phone but this can only be done AFTER my product is finally delivered.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

On 11/28/2017 I purchased a Serta iComfort Blue 100 mattress set from the JCPenney store in Springfield, VA for $951.91. Delivery was not available until after 12/25/2017, so I chose Saturday, 12/30/2017 as the date of delivery to ensure that I would be at home. On 12/30/2017 the mattress set was delivered. It had snowed the night before but had started melting that morning, leaving a lot of dirty slush on the ground and streets. The delivery guys didn't even bother to wipe their feet (or to cover their shoes) and so tracked dirty slush through my house and onto my new off-white carpeting.

When they brought in the mattress foundation, I noticed that the material was ripped, so I pointed it out to them. I told them that I was refusing to accept the foundation. They called it into JCP customer service. A customer service rep asked me to verify that I was refusing to accept the foundation, which I did, and I also asked for a replacement foundation to be sent. I asked when I might expect to receive the foundation and she replied that the delivery company would call me when it was ready for delivery.

Fifteen (15) days later, on 01/14/2018, not having heard a peep from JCP, I called customer service and spoke to yet another service rep to inquire on the whereabouts of my mattress foundation. The service rep seemed to have no idea what I was talking about. She told me that their computer system showed that I had refused the foundation but that no replacement had ever been ordered. I asked her to please order a new foundation for me. I also asked her about when I could expect that to be delivered and she advised that she did not know.

On Thursday evening, 1/18/2018, I went back to the JCP store where I purchased the mattress set to try to find out what was going with my order. I walked around the store for 10 minutes before I could even find a sales associate to help me (one sales associate actually turned around and walked away from me when I started to ask her a question!). I finally found someone working in the towels/linens area, who told me that there was no one working in the furniture department that evening. I was so furious that I went back home, called JCP customer support, and told the service rep that I wanted to return the mattress.

When the service rep asked me what was wrong with the mattress, I told him that it was useless to me because it didn't have a foundation, and JCP had no idea of when I would receive it. The service rep advised that he would place an order with the delivery company to schedule a pickup, and that the purchase would be credited to my JCP account once the mattress was confirmed as returned.

The following day, I went back to the JCP store and spoke with a sales associate in the furniture department. She told me that she had worked for JCP for 42 years but that the company had recently been experiencing delivery problems. She apologized for the issue and asked me to give them one more chance to make it right. She asked that I call JCP customer service, tell them that I did not want to return the mattress, but instead wanted them to order a new foundation for me. She also advised that I ask for a price break for my inconvenience.

Feeling calmed down, I decided to give JCP one more chance. I went home, called JCP customer service, and told them what I wanted to do. The service rep told me, "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's too late because the return process has already been started." I informed the service rep that JCP had just lost a lifetime customer and hung up on him.

The following day, I went back to the JCP store to tell the sales associate what had happened. She apologized again and asked if I wanted to start the order process all over again. I told her NO, I was just going to go across the street to the mattress store, pay $100 more, and have it delivered in 48 hours instead of seven weeks.

At this point I am furious with JCP. Seven weeks to wait on a mattress set? Give me a break! Over the years I have purchased a lot of furniture from JCP: sofas, loveseats, chairs, end tables, lamps, dining room set, grandfather clock, bedroom set, and several mattresses. NEVER AGAIN! This experience has totally turned me off from them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I bought a unitized Wash and dryer at JCPenney. It arrived on January 12. I tried to use my washer and dryer on the 13th with no luck. This brand was GE. Since then, I have been constantly calling trying to figure out how I can have this lemon replaced. The process has been very painful. The GE rep as well as a JCPenney rep should be coming to my home on the 23rd to half the machine checked. I am writing this review from a laundromat (my second time here). I've never used one until now. Why do I have to go through all of this to get a defective machine replaced? I was also advised by one of the representatives that I should have called within a 48 hour period after receiving the machine. Why only 48 hours?

Anyway I tried calling on the 13th and the 14th with no success. I was even on the phone for over an hour waiting for the rep to answer. I was supposed to have a GE rep visit me on the 17th of January. Due to bad weather, the rep had to cancel. We had to reschedule on the 23rd. I contacted to JCPenney reps. The second rep with very helpful and kind. We were however on the phone for 56 minutes. The first rep was not. I received no confirmation number. It was the second rep, Linda who gave me my ticket numbers for her call and the previous rep's call. Why does it take this long to get this rectified? I spent over $1200 on this W/D as well as on warranty and parts. I'm still waiting for resolution on this case. I would encourage consumers to pause before choosing JCPenney for their major appliance purchase. I work hard and have little free time and yet I have spent almost 3 hours trying to may JCPenney do whats right. We will see what happens on the 23rd.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I ordered an item on Dec 26, 2017 with a Visa gift card. (Order number ** ) Received order confirmation and waited for package. On January 9th, I contacted customer service and told them that my package had not arrived. They told me that they had issued me a refund on Dec 27th and that the order was out of stock and would not be coming. Only problem was NOBODY had contacted me to tell me that a refund had been issued or that the package would not be shipped. I had thrown the gift card away a week after I finished spending all the money on it, so I completely lost the refund. $40 down the drain. Customer service told me the item was back in stock and he could re-order it for me. I said fine. (Order **.)

1/19/18 rolls around and I contact customer service about my package not arriving. AGAIN they tell me that I was issued a refund the day after my purchase and that the order was cancelled. AGAIN, nobody had notified me that I had been issued a refund or that the package was not arriving. I have worked in online retail for 5 years, and we ALWAYS notify customers immediately if an item is on back-order, along with an offer to refund and an estimated wait time for the order to arrive if they would like to wait for it to restock. If an item is out of stock indefinitely, we issue an immediate refund and NOTIFY customer of the refund and out of stock item.

We call and leave voicemails, we e-mail, we text, if necessary. To give absolutely no notification of a cancelled order is insane. Customer service also said they were unable to give me documentation that a refund was issued (I still haven't gotten my money back from my second order) so I have no idea if I'll be getting my money back.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I really have to laugh at myself for not looking at these reviews earlier. I can't see this company being around much longer... I was looking for a mini fridge for my room and saw a nice Haier 4.5 cu. ft fridge on sale. For the price & the size, it was an amazing deal. So I made the purchase on January 2, 2018 for a ship to store delivery, and I received an order confirmation email stating that it would be ready for pickup Jan. 8 - Jan. 11.

As I waited for an update on my mini fridge, I noticed that the tracking order indicates that my order was still "In Process." There were no shipping updates about the mini fridge. My fridge had yet to ship. So as Jan. 10 rolls along, I spoke to a JCPenney representative online through the chat system. I asked if there were any updates on my order because the order confirmation stated it would be ready by tomorrow, Jan. 11. I was told from the representative that there's no updates on my mini fridge and that once the order ships, then it would take an additional 4-7 days for it to arrive in store! Wait, what?! I asked if there was any way of knowing when will it shipped. The representative stated she does not have that information.

I proceeded to ask if there was any way of cancelling my order. I no longer had faith that this order was going to arrive timely. The representative said no but I can return it once it arrive in store. I mean okay? When is this mini fridge going to arrive?! I made sure to thank her and we ended the conversation from there. So the story doesn't end here... I decided to call JCPenney's Customer Service after that online chat. I was on hold for about 5 minutes and was able to talk to a representative about the status of my order. The rep. told me that the order was still in process & had to transfer me to the Appliance Department to get help. I have no idea why. But it sounds promising right? Well no. I was on hold for more than 20 minutes & no one came to pick up the phone. Unfortunately, I was on my lunch break & couldn't wait any longer. So basically, I received no help again for that 27ish minute call.

However, my story ends well. BUT NOT because of JCPenney. A few days later, I went into my bank account & realize that there were no charges on my account from JCPenney. According to the order confirmation email, "Orders placed using a valid JCPenney Rewards member login will be issued Rewards points when payment card/account is charged and item(s) have shipped." So I'm guessing, unless it's shipped, they don't charge you. I'm also a rewards member and noticed that I wasn't issued the reward points. Either way, I didn't receive a charge from JCPenney.

I made sure to report my credit card I used as missing/lost. This will cancel my credit card until I get a new one & prevent JCPenney from charging me for the mini fridge. And that is that! I made a purchase from another form of payment for a new mini fridge at Walmart and picked it up SAME DAY. Imagine that?! It's now Jan. 18, and my tracking order STILL says that the my order is still in process. It's the most ridiculous thing that they have yet to do ANYTHING (cancel, charge, etc.) with my order. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not order anything from this company. Order from somewhere else and save yourself the trouble.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I contacted JCP Customer Service for to request a monthly paper statement on December 22, 2017. Since I have not received the requested statement I contacted JCP for the 2nd time today, to ask why I have not received my monthly statement. I was told that they did not have my street address and I explained when I had called and that my address had been given to Dan the CSR I spoke with on the first call to JcP. Today, I spoke with a manager named Tyler, and She was extremely impatient and rude. And basically hung up on me at the end of the call. She kept raising her voice and was not professional in any way, shape or form!! This experience has left me with a decision as to whether close my account and take my business elsewhere. I have shopped at Penney for 50 years. What a shame that this woman would be such a poor representation for an otherwise great company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

After Thanksgiving I decided to purchase the SAMSUNG kitchen appliance suite from JCPenney. The main reason for purchasing from JCPenney was to give business to the company, instead of using my usual home improvement store. The first delivery date was scheduled for December 23, 2017. That date was changed by SAMSUNG to January 3, 2017. On January 3rd I did not receive any kind of phone call from anybody in regard to what time of day the delivery would take place.

I was proactive and made the phone call. With that phone call I found out that the delivery date was changed again. Now to January 24th. Since I already gave away my old appliances prior to the first delivery date I was extremely disappointed. So I went to another store and ordered the appliance and have them in my kitchen since January 12. I went to JCPenny to cancel my order. There were no apologies. It seemed to be a normal routine for the store to take orders, but not to fulfill the order in a timely manner, and to let the consumer dangle for weeks on end in hopes to receive the product. I forgot to mention that there were also promises of monetary compensation of undisclosed amounts made to me by the SAMSUNG delivery service. Something is amiss here.

I blame JCPenney for doing business with SAMSUNG. One would think that if a company cannot deliver a product in a timely manner that JCPenney would have some kind of a recourse. This morning I had an email from JCPenney telling me that they are sorry but they have to cancel the order because the products are no longer available. This prompted me to write this review. I feel deceived. I canceled the order not JCPenney. Consumers should not have to put up with this kind of treatment. In future I will shop at stores that will follow through with their deliveries and not be the good Samaritan and help out a struggling company.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I ordered a sofa and loveseat on JCPenney few days before Black Friday. Found that the money has been deducted from my credit card on Dec 16 last year. When I did not receive any update on the order after quite some time, I called up their customer service. It is probably the worst customer service I have called. After a long hold time, a woman picked up the call and told me that all she sees in my order is that the item has been shipped. When I asked where is it shipped to and that I have never received anything, she said most likely it has been shipped to some local trucking company.

Apparently the trucking company is supposed to call me and arrange for the delivery. Of course, I did not receive any call from any local trucking company for several days. So I called JCPenney back. This time another woman gave me the name of the trucking company and said it will be delivered within a week. Again nothing happened for more than a week. When I called the trucking company, they have no idea of any such delivery.

So basically this seems like a huge scam that is going on. With the reviews all over the place, it seems like JCPenney has taken money from lots of people and many of them did not get their item delivered. As of now my item is somewhere between JCPenney or some third party warehouse and local trucking company and it has been in transit for a month (if what they are saying is true which I highly doubt).

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

For the 3rd time, Penney’s has lost my order, better yet, I have the $300 charge on my Penney’s cc for an order they can’t find, but want money for!! When you call customer. Service you get people giggling on the phone, not helping, lazy. They have not a clue what they are doing, and Corp. could give a rat’s ass. What happened to this once upstanding store? Sad.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

NOT IN MY ENTIRE LIFE HAVE I EVER FELT THIS COMPELLED TO WRITE A NEGATIVE REVIEW ABOUT A COMPANY. That's how awful my experience was with everyone, with the exception of a few, at JCPenney's. I buy/consume a lot and I’m kicking myself for having ordered my washer and dryer from JCPenney. I ordered a washer and dryer over the Christmas break 2017 to take advantage of the sales and because my dryer broke. For multiple reasons, I am not only extremely dissatisfied, but I am going to request a huge discount on my product for the extra 7 hours of my time it took to track down, deal with and reorder my washer and dryer unit. Let's deal with each issue in turn:

It was nice that the online site prompted me to purchase required parts for the machines, but apparently it failed to tell me that I didn't purchase the stacking kit, but I somehow purchased the installation for the stacking kit. It also didn't prompt me to purchase the required parts I needed to hook up the gas dryer. So after two weeks, I luckily have my units, but since there is an extreme lack of competence and communication on JCPenney's part, they are sitting in my garage, inoperable. It would have been nice to have the website prompt me to buy the required parts so I could have my units installed at all. Anyhow, I ordered my units on December 28th for a delivery date on January 3rd. On January 2nd, we are called by the delivery company and told that our units are on back order and we needed to call JCP for more information.

I call JCP and finally someone answers the phone 50 minutes after I've listened to the same damn song over and over. A nice woman named Camilla says that our dryer was damaged in transit and that there are no more dryers available by Samsung and that I will have to call them to figure out when they will be available. After I have her call Samsung, she tells me that I am not to receive my new units (because they need to be sent together) until Feb 12th. FEBRUARY 12th! So I say the only reason why I went with JCP is because it had the best price and it had the soonest delivery date. I would have gone with someone else and paid the extra $100 to not have to wait a month and a half to get my product. She then says that I will be compensated accordingly (Which I was told that I won't receive until I receive the units, but anyway).

I'm leaving out at least 3 hours of discussions and hold music about alternative options, like getting an upgraded unit or cancelling the order because I can't bear to relive how angered those conversations made me because after waiting over an hour to speak with someone about my order, I was transferred to the repair department, now couldn't transfer me back. By the way, a supervisor, Lisa, transferred me, knowing full well that I had been upset and wanted answers about my order that she couldn't give me. But I digress, turns out that to get an upgraded unit, I needed to go into the store to purchase it and cancel it through JCP. So I do that, when I get to the store and talk with the Manager in Major Appliances, they tell me that I have to call the same people I was just on the phone with to cancel my order and reorder.

I told the manager that the call center told me to come into the store and have you guys do it, but the store manager of the Culver City JCP told me the opposite. WTF??? WHO THE HELL IS TRAINING THESE PEOPLE??? Luckily the store manager says I can upgrade but they have to call the same number, wait on hold for an hour, just to figure out if they have the upgraded units in stock. I had to get home and the store manager was off her shift so she left it up to the store associate to complete the cancellation of the current units and purchase of the upgraded units pending they were available. Do you think that all of this was completed by the store associate? You guessed it... HELL NO! Nobody and JCP is doing their job, with the exception of a few people who I discuss below.

So I call back the JCP/Samsung line, get someone on the line after an hour and tell them I want to cancel my order. After about a half an hour more holding on the line, she says she tried to cancel but I have to wait 3 days for her to email someone at Samsung to get a refund that I might see in 10-14 days. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE AMOUNT OF RUNAROUND I'M GETTING FROM THIS COMPANY. I have never, ever experienced this much ** in my life. So, after calling the JCP/SAMSUNG line back the next day to make sure that my order was cancelled, I got this wonderful woman named Michael ** from Louisiana, who put Ken ** from Greensboro on the line who called GE to figure out what really happened to the original units. I finally get the real story behind it all, finally. The washer, NOT THE DRYER, was damaged in transit. When that happens, they can't send the undamaged unit (dryer in this case).

So Ken somehow got the GE folks to send out a washer, which was not on back order, to go out with my original dryer and he magically got them to send it for delivery on January 12th, not February 12th. So we got a win there! And everything was on track for January 12th. We got the call that they were delivering our products the morning of the 12th, which they did. Here's where the delivery got funky. I apparently didn't order the stackable kit, only the installation of the stackable kit. And I may not have ordered the required parts either, I won't know that for sure until tomorrow. Anyhow, the delivery folks say they won't hook up my dryer because we didn't order installation, which was untrue. I get on the phone with JCP and the delivery service and JCP says that we didn't order the stackable unit, but ordered installation.

So I say why didn't you tell me that you can't hook up the units without the unit if we are installing in a garage? How the hell am I supposed to know this if you don't tell me? By this point, 6 hour so of my life wasted on the prior stuff I told you above, I am livid to say the least. The very nice JCP guy, Daerrion from Greensboro, handled my anger very professionally. I ask him how long I have to wait to get the delivery guys back, because they left by this point as they can't technically do anything and it really isn't their fault, but I'm pissed because I've not washed any clothes for two weeks and I'm about to lose my mind over this whole situation. Daerrion gets all the appropriate people on the line for me to get out the techs to install the dryer/washer ASAP, thank God for him.

But, this poor man, has to deal with people like me who have gone through now 7 hours of hell, paying A LOT of money for appliances, he nor I should have to deal with this. I have never hated a company more than this. JCP, you will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER get one more cent from me. I will encourage anyone I know, and I influence a lot of people, to NEVER EVER EVER patronize your establishment. I'm not sure how you are still in business. And I truly believe that the JCPenney call center folks mean to do their jobs well but there were two folks that made my experience awful and 3 folks that were fantastic. If it weren't for Ken ** and Daerrion in Greensboro call center and Michael ** from Louisana, I would have blasted the internet, and news sources of the absolute failure of JCPenney to service major appliance customers with obtaining their washer and dryers in the timeframe promised by JCPenney.

I can safely say that if they said I wouldn’t get my units until a month after my promised date, I would have gone straight to Home Depot, Sears or Best Buy and gotten my product within 3 days. The only reason why I went with JCP in the first place was because their prices beat those others by about $100 but let me tell you, IT WAS NOT WORTH IT. I've spent 7+ HOURS on hold on the phone and talking with well-intentioned but incompetently trained people who didn't write down notes and didn't know how to leverage their supervisors for the correct information.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Paid for a Samsung Hub refrigerator for $4,000, had delivery guy show up to tell me that he could not get it up my stairs and that I have to tell JCPenny to request 4 guys. Had to return the order just to change the delivery option and then rebuy which does not make sense. After rebuying the fridge, which I was forced to do because their system won't redeliver with 4 guys unless I rebuy, the delivery company used the excuse of the mud floods in Montecito to reschedule. The lady, Nicole, totally lied because we have 4 freeways that come to our house. She took advantage of a calamity and distressful situation that had no effect on them, as an excuse to not deliver.

Talk about a person that will use any excuse to cover their lies. I found out that it, again, had something to do with not having 4 people available to do the delivery per another lady named Vanessa who was very very rude. Why lie? End of story, I'm still waiting for my fridge after 3 weeks. Meantime, I already got my bill for the total of $8K without the credit to the original fridge and have to pay to avoid interest.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Ordered pair of shoes online to be delivered to store for pickup. They were sent to wrong store in a different state. The customer service number on the order says that it is not their problem and must call store that shoes were delivered to. That particular store will not answer their phones - any of the departments that were called. I called the online customer service again and they still said "not their problem". There is also no email address to send concerns regarding the incorrect store. I will no longer shop at JCPenney.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I ordered 2 Malouf CarbonCool® + OmniPhase pillows in the "Standard" size, which the "Buyer's Guide" link above the selection on the JCPenney site, explained was a 20 x 26 size. As the general description of travel pillow did not change between "Standard" and "Queen" and they did not have a "travel" option, I relied on the Buyers' Guide. My receipt, attached shows "standard" on the order. I clicked on the "Track order" later and it said a "maternity Pillow" was ordered and would be sent.

Concerned, I looked again at the description of the pillows and noted that product description did not change when I looked at “standard” and “queen” but rather described a “16x12” size and called it a “travel” size. The JCPenny site did not offer “travel” size as an option. Concerned I called their hotline and informed them that the order they said was being sent did not reflect what I was ordering according to my receipt. The customer service rep proved unknowledgeable and I requested a Supervisor who likewise was unhelpful insisting that I had ordered the "standard travel size" and refused to listen to me or to follow the links saying she knew what she was talking about.

She then hung up on me (though I did use an expletive at one point in my frustration with her). So I called a second time and requested a second supervisor. She then told me that I would get a "Standard" and that I should not worry about it. I said if it was not the 26 x 20 "standard" bed pillow that it was not going to work. She repeated that I should not worry. I did not want them to send it if it wasn't the right one.

I then contacted the manufacturer because I could not find a "standard" on their website and they confirmed that they did not make a "standard" only the travel and the queen. They said they would work with JCPenney and get the site corrected and to "enjoy" my new pillow. I see where the site has now been corrected because of their intervention, to specify "Travel" or "Queen." The pillow I was to get was also supposed to be white, but it was black/dark grey. I received the pillow from JC Penney and of course now to get my refund I must drive 150 miles or pay for shipping to return it. The most unhelpful "Customer Service" I have ever experienced.

JCPenney expert review by ConsumerAffairs

JCPenny was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenny has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenny store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

• Best for: jcp.com carries adults’ and children’s shoes and is best for bargain hunters and busy adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

JCPenney Company Information

www.jcpenney.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use