3.8/5 (699 ratings)

About JCPenney

JCPenney Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

I ordered a bed from JC Penney online on November 24, 2022 order # **. I specified and paid for deluxe delivery, indicating that the delivery agents would unpack, assemble, inspect, touch up and rewrap item prior to delivery. Agents would then deliver item to the room of choice and remove all packaging materials. Instead they showed up a month late, on January 3, 2023 without calling first and just dumped the parts in my bedroom. They are a third-party carrier. JC Penney said they would have someone call me in a few days for assembly and gave me a reference number of **. I am 68 years old and there is no way I can assemble this bed myself.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

I am writing a review because I was blown away by the level of professional service from Top to bottom at your Ofallon MO location store #2909. As I was saying the experience I had over three shopping trips at your store blew me away. From Management to the employees I was transported back to a simpler time when customer service as well as high level products were stocked and sold in a professional manner. I have to say I hadn't christmas shopped at JC Penney since I was a child perusing the big catalog. I'm sad to say I had fallen victim to just going to walmart but I hate their cheaply made products and horrible service and even the customers, But as I was saying I made three successful shopping trips to your location and I am planning to come get pHotos taken at your location as well.

But as I was saying # separate successful gift buying extravaganzas. First trip I was pleasantly surprised by the sale that seemed to be storewide. I procured clothes for my two children, girlfriend and come christmas morning everyone was happy. As well as the toys and games I landed. Trip two was to the Jewelry counter to have my bulova watch checked on both Tammy ** and a bubbly ** employee. I'm sorry her name just slips my mind. Both went above and beyond to help.

Lastly I came in and bought sephora makeup for my girlfriend and her daughter and being that Imma man with no prior makeup experience The workers were thorough and extremely helpful and out of the box thinkers, Mrs Lydia and a countless other makeup workers held my hand giving me the confidence to buy the makeup for both my girlfriend and her daughter and let's just say Lydia and her team helped me to be the big winner when they opened their make up then once again I won again when I saw how Beautiful and confident they were after using said makeup.

Finally I'd like to mention Manager Tammy. I don't remember her last name but she also helped out with my little makeup shopping trip. She will be easy to find and for you to hone in on. She told me the most wonderful story about how she won a Beauty contest as a teenager in Iowa possibly Corn Silk Princess. There were two other managers that helped, Maureen and I believe the head manager. Sorry Her name just slips my mind but they had theie team all in place with the skill and know how and can do attitude that will keep me coming back to JC Penney from now on.

Lastly there was a gentleman that helped me find some items. Believe his name was Mr. ** and then the register checkout gentleman. I believe his name was Luke. I definitely enjoyed his banter and quick wit and charm. He had me in stitches. So as I have conveyed this whole store should get Kudos from the Big shots. This store made them look like real industry leaders.

Love Always\Always Love

Scott

Oh and how could I forget Steve.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

This company is the ABSOLUTE WORSE! The fact that they are even still in business is trifling. I literally placed and order and it said in progress almost immediately. Then I tried to cancel an order less than 24hrs later and apparently it was “impossible” until you speak with someone in escalations. Then they can’t ever send you a confirmation email. Customer service doesn’t know anything. One of the reps literally told me the cancellation email comes automatically once the order has been cancelled and then in the same breath turn around and tells me it will still take 24-48hrs to receive the cancellation email. Like what? I absolutely hate this company and will never spend my money with them! Thanks for nothing.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

The online ordering portal for JCPenney is terrible! I ordered 2 items and indicated that I wanted to pick them up at the store. The ordering portal said that they were available. Then when I finalized checkout, one of the items said it was being shipped to my house. I didn't want that, so I immediately hit 'Cancel Order'. The ordering system said "Cannot cancel, order is already processed." Literally less than a minute.

When the first half of my order came to the store, I went to pick it up, and the item was the wrong size/color. Not what I ordered. They could not complete a return at the register because the other item had not been shipped yet! ARRRGH! He told me to come back when I received the rest of my order. Of course the payment had already been processed!

Now that shipped item is lost in Lala land. The order information says 'Pending', but no shipping info or tracking information is available. I called customer service (what a joke). It took 30 minutes for the guy to look up my same screen and tell me exactly what I could see on my own. He said he has no idea whether it is shipped, what carrier is shipping it, or how long it would take. Please do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

I called customer service about a necklace before I purchased it because the description didn't specify female or male. The rep reassured me it was unisex and would hang down to a man's chest. The necklace came and anyone could see it was clearly for a female. I only went through with this purchase after talking to someone from the company first. I got it monogrammed for my bf for Christmas and now they won't take it back even though the rep was the one who recommended it for a man. Totally disappointed in how customer service handled it after being a long-time loyal customer and will now be taking my hard-earned money to spend somewhere else where the reps that work for the company actually know what they're talking about. I would've never made this purchase without the rep's influence.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

I ordered online a couple days ago, received a package today, with the correct address on the label, open the package and it is NOT what I ordered and the invoice has someone else's name and address on it. I call customer service, the lady wasn't understanding what I was telling her, kept explaining for 20 minutes, finally, she understood and told me that she could refund me my purchase amount once they received back the items that were sent to me. I was so mad because what I ordered was a Black Friday Deal and was something I was super excited about for my daughter for Christmas.

After I hung up with that lady, I sat and stewed over this because I was so mad. I then got on a chat with someone else and again they didn't care that this mistake was made. Most companies would offer something as an I'm sorry gesture. NOPE, not JCPenney, they didn't care. I am so disgusted and wasted 2 hours of my time because they screwed up. I will never shop here again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

I ordered 2 dresses for my nieces wedding. They arrived a few weeks after my husband was killed in an accident. I returned them and received an email that I would be refunded the total amount I paid. Within a couple weeks received 1/2 of refund amount. Called in and was told to wait a couple days for rest. Called in again in a few days and was told to wait a few more. Called in again and was told whole amount refunded… but no credit either to bank statement or credit card. Called in again and after speaking with supervisor was told they would send a check to me. After 2 more weeks received a check but it was less than amount of the other half. I have contacted them at least 12 times and when you live on social security every bit helps. They refuse to resolve the situation. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM UNLESS YOU WANT THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE POSSIBLE!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

I purchased a coat and used a coupon. The coupon was not applied to my order. I told them this when I picked it up. They said it wouldn’t be an issue. I can call and have them make an a price adjustment, I called and they are refusing to honor the coupon. This is a corporate company where customers like us keep it going and they do nothing to keep their customers happy. Will not be shopping there anymore. SMH.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I wish I could give a -5 star rating. I purchased a pair of Ashley bar stool from JCP. I realized later that the chairs were lacking wooden support on the seat. They are super uncomfortable and make my thigh hurt. They sent me defective items. I called to JCP customer service and they denied to adjust or return of the order simply because it's past 90 days. The customer service manager was rude and simply denied to make any correction on the mistake they committed. Can a seller like JCP sell any garbage to customers and rob customers' hard-earned money? Can a seller like JCP back off from their responsibility of consumer satisfaction? I am not surprised JCP is doing super poorly and vanishing from the market. I am super disappointed and will never return to JCP in my life again, will tell to do so to my family and friends. Adios JCP!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

I ordered a sectional on Aug 2nd, 2022. Fantastic sale, super discount with coupon - took screenshots, purchased the item - got order receipt and ship date of 8/18. JCP cancelled my order on 8/12 and had the audacity to tell me that I cancelled it. I did not cancel it - in fact, I had purchased other furniture to go with it. They said I could re-order it at the te escalated, non-discount price now that the sale is over due to it being cancelled. I am furious. Such a scam. They hold your money, collecting the interest off the transaction and then cancel your order while gaslighting you trying to convince you that YOU cancelled it. Such a joke. I am so disappointed and hope they close down.

JCPenney author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

JCPenney was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenney has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenney store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

JCPenney Company Information