2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.73/5
Based on 2,754 ratings submitted in the last year

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

JCPenney Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Cooks is JC Penny Brand. I purchased this coffee maker in 2009 and although not used every day it’s still working fine. Coffee grounds filter holder is screened, so you get a cleaner brew. Self brew timer settings, cup amounts, easy to clean. Attractive stainless with black accents and blue lightning. Small clean rectangular shape sits on counter nicely. Only con - super noisy.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I did a lot of Black Friday shopping this past year. I shopped at 3 of the major dept. stores. JCP was by far the best to deal with. I bought some rebate items. All of the JCP rebate checks have arrived. Macy's has about 1/3 of them even registered so I don't know what is going on with that and Kohls has not acknowledged any of them. I spent a lot and bought a lot and some of the stuff needed to be exchanged - again - JCP was the best - by far. I went to the store and the line moved very quickly. Kohls is ok but takes forever. I love JCP.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Penney's is one of the few stores that allows 6 years to pay off expensive furniture purchases. My wife and I were buying a new Sterns and Foster bed which came to $5,000. The extra financing time brought our payments down to $100 a month. Being on a fixed income this made for a great experience!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I was shopping for a after five dress for a Red Carpet event the same day. A sales lady said I came on a good day, because they have some fantastic sales. I wanted a dress but none of them look sexy enough for me. A notice a black and rhinestone open blocked sleeves jumpsuit. I picked a small, medium and large. The medium was perfect. The cashier said, "I love this jumpsuit! I hope they have some more because I want one." I went to another store to purchase the perfect shoes to set-off the jumpsuit. I looked fabulous!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I found some very nice quality clothes at JC Penney. The shirts, pants and bras were all name brand and on sale at a fantastic price. The selection was great and I also found some items that were on sale that I was not even looking for at the time. I would highly recommend this store.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I placed an order in May for a short and shoes. 2 weeks later I received an email stating the Shoes were out of stock and I would not be charged. 24 hours later my credit card was charged. I have been trying to get a refund since the beginning of June!! Going on 2 months with nothing. I have called and emailed customer service. I'm so upset over the lack customer service and straight theft. I'll be contacting an attorney.

Original review: July 10, 2020

Please help. I ordered two sets of mattresses a couple weeks ago. Last Friday evening I received a call telling me that I would receive a call on Monday with my two hour delivery window. I waited around all day and once I got home I got a call that they would be delivering the next day between 5 and 7 pm. I was at work that day and at 2:30 I was called and told they were 30 minutes away and was anyone home. I am single and live alone and work about 45 minutes from home. I said it would take me about an hour and half as I needed to wrap up work. They said they needed to call their boss and she told me if I wasn't home in 30 they would reschedule. I told her to cancel the order.

On Wednesday I got a call and they asked if they could deliver the next day and I told them if only delivered after 5 pm. They said they would try. They called the next day and said they would be there between 10 am and noon. I left work around 9:20 and got home and waited till after noon. I called the number they had used and they said they were about an hour away. I said I would not be home and they would have to come back after 5 like I asked. They said they can't do that. They asked if they could just leave them and I said no because you also have to pick up the old ones. They said, "You can put them outside and we can leave the new ones."

I did as asked and go home and all the new mattresses were in torn bags sitting in my yard and my cold mattresses were there as well. I had all my stuff in storage for over two months and I am not sure what got on my mattresses but that was the reason I was buying new ones. I smelled like cat. Another story. They refused to take them citing corona. I understand that but they could have wrapped them in the old plastic had they done the job that I had ordered and pay for. I have never been through something this bad. I had to carry my mattresses up the steps into my house by myself. I just moved and I am sore from just my stuff. I am on hold with your company for over 50 minutes more than twice this week. I have been hung up on and sent to dead numbers, etc. The list goes on and on. I want some satisfaction and will not go away till this is handled. What do you plan on doing?

Original review: July 2, 2020

Paid in full for custom design shades. Installation was scheduled early April, then cancelled due to Covid-19 (understandable). However, Customer Service said when stores reopened they would reschedule. After several phone calls they still won't reschedule installation. My issue is that the balance due was paid on April 25th (they had the account information in order to make charge) but they knew they couldn't install yet. And THEN filed bankruptcy on 5/15/20! This seems fraudulent. I know I may have to have someone else install them, but JC Penney should refund the cost of installation or get someone out to finish the job. I've called several times to get updates, but nothing has changed and I just get fed the standard vague BS, waiting for Corporate, blahblahblah.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I want to return bras to jcp.com because they were not as listed. I mailed them off and I had to pay the shipping. Jcp received the return. I did not hear from them so I called customer service. They said my wait time would be 20 minutes. They said that if I did not want to wait, they could schedule a call back in 20 minutes. I agreed to the call back. They called me back in 25 minutes. Then I had to wait 29 minutes before they answered my call. They gave me the run around and then they said they would refund my items in 3 more weeks. The woman on the phone said that they just received my return three days ago, so she knows nothing about my account or my order status. What was the point in calling jcp?

Original review: May 28, 2020

Honestly SO FURIOUS. Worst customer service ever. Would give negative stars if I could. I bought 2 pair of earrings a few MONTH ago and decided to return one via mail. WORST DECISION EVER. 1st, the packaging slip told me to send my item back to NY, which I did (I assumed the NY address was for verification in case they think i'm sending back a fake one). I then contacted customer service NUMEROUS times to see updates on my return/package. 2nd, They kept insisting that their packaging slip said to send it to OH, which it didn't. I'm not blind, I know the address told me to send it back to NY, I'm not going to pull a NY address out of nowhere. Customer service started 2-3 cases for me, WHICH HAS DONE NOTHING, STILL NO UPDATES.

I contacted them via online chat twice, the first one he created a case for me and said nothing needed to be done, I just needed to wait 3 weeks. 4 weeks AFTER I contact them again and the customer service agent said the case was closed and everything should be all set. A FEW WEEKS LATER, I emailed them asking for updates and they said they still haven't received my return and they'll start another case for me, which I have not heard back from.

I regret buying from JC PENNEY and will tell all my friends and family to cancel their JC PENNEY cards and never shop here again. Literally WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. MONTHS LATER STILL NO REFUND, MISSING PACKAGE, AND HAVE NOT HEARD FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE. Work on your customer service and RETURNS PLEASE. PACKAGING SLIPS SHOULD ALL HAVE THE SAME RETURN ADDRESS TO AVOID CASES LIKE MINE. Posting on every single review page possible and I'm not stopping until 1. I get my refund back or 2. they fix their customer service.

JCPenney author review by ConsumerAffairs

JCPenney was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenney has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenney store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team