1.25/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1576 JCPenney Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I previously ordered a sport coat and was a little disappointed in the quality, but it was ok. You get what you pay for. So I decided to order another sport coat, but this time I decided to pick it up at the store. Thought maybe the product would not be as wrinkled as the previous one. I had to wait longer than the specified time of 4-7 BUSINESS days. I called and went to the store and they said to give it another few days. Ok, was patient. Then they called yesterday and I traveled 50 miles to the store. They went to the back and brought it out, and it was wrapped nicely as if they took good care of it. I did not check it other than to make sure it was the size I ordered and color.

Got home, took it out of the packaging and immediately saw a brown stain on the sleeve. I tried cleaning it the best I could. Looks like somebody dropped it in something or sat on it and ate their lunch. It's not worth my time to go back to the store and complain. I had seen many bad reviews concerning JCPENNEY but thought, maybe they are just hard to please. Nope. I will not order anything else through JC Penney. Just like others have said, go elsewhere. They don't even have "contact us" number. They have a Twitter account. When you call the main office, they just transfer you to the local store. No help whatsoever. I would not recommend JCPenney online store. Make sure of what you're buying by going to their store.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have been a loyal fan of JCP for over 35 years and have also been a JCP cardholder for that same time. I recently received my new card in the mail and activated it. I later realized it was a CREDIT CARD which I did not want and which was obviously sent to me on purpose so I would mistakenly activate it (exact same platinum color and lettering as my regular JCP store card). I called to cancel it and was told that my regular department store card would not be reinstated and that it was a credit card or nothing. Unbelievable!!! After all these years and all money I have spent it was, "Sorry Charlie, we don't care." I will not be shopping at JCP again!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This was hands down the WORST EXPERIENCE I have ever had! DO NOT ORDER FROM @jcpenney! I purchased a beautiful king bedframe, they came and set it up and it was broken in a few places and they refuse to correct the mistake unless I pay a restocking fee! Not only that the delivery was 3 hours late with no one to contact me to say if they were coming or not, so I sat home all day and night waiting. I have spoken with several “escalation reps” and nothing has been done, they are condescending and rude! One woman stated it was going to be taken care of, I waited 5 days and heard nothing. I call back and it was never taken care of, she lied!!! I cannot express enough NOT to purchase furniture from this company! ‬

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Purchased a set of rings at the West Mifflin PA store a week before Thanksgiving that had to be resized. I was informed it would take 2-4 weeks which was OK, since it was intended to be a Christmas gift. Contacted the store at the two week mark and was told they were not back. Went to the store at the four week mark, and after an extensive search they found the rings, BUT THEY HAD NEVER GONE OUT TO BE RESIZED!!! If my mother hadn't wanted them so badly I would have demanded a refund, but was told they would go out ASAP, and as a rush order. Subsequently, didn't have them for Christmas, but they finally came in SEVEN WEEKS AFTER PURCHASE. I will NEVER spend another cent at JCPenney!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I bought 3 major appliances from JCPenney. All LG brand. My microwave lasted 14 months. Warranty was 1 year. I did buy an extended 5 year warranty through JCPenney. I have been waiting for repair 48 days. My microwave needed 4 major parts and one is on backorder. I keep getting told a different date that the backordered part will come in. I also was told that the parts probably cost more thAn the actual microwave. Extremely frustrated. Will never buy appliances from JCPenney ever again. Horrible service. All they do is give you useless information and say they'll call you back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I purchased some black Arizona boots on New Years. They were on sale for $18.99 the day after I received an email saying back order on the boots and I went online seen the same boots the same size being still sold for $24.99. I called. They said, "No worries. You will still get them but we have to get them from another store or warehouse. We have 4-7 days to get them to you."

On the 6th day I spoke to a supervisor. She said, "Wait a few more days. You will get them." I seen they were sold out online and the few left in other sizes were being sold for $48. NOW ON THE 8TH DAY at 2am I get an email saying, "YOUR ORDER IS CANCELLED," for only the boots not the other 3 items that were $10 or less each. So if they start selling your item at a higher price they will ship it to the highest payer NOT you that paid a sale price. PLEASE DON'T ORDER ONLINE FOR JCPENNEY. GO IN THE STORE. Let them order it, the people running the online seem like they are trying to increase revenue for the corporate office because I got nothing but a person with bad attitude when I called corporate stating they can cancel at any time if the shoes aren't available. They don't have to alert me with prior notice.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I'm very happy with the stove and microwave hood I purchased from JCPenney, and though the installation team was friendly, the primary installer almost refused to install my microwave/hood until I showed him I had paid for the installation on my receipt. He had to use a large drill bit to enlarge a hole for the plug, and scratched the stainless steel door of the microwave with it, and dragged the drill bit across my kitchen counter, deeply gouging it. I did not complain or raise the issue because I've previously experienced retribution from JCPenney installers after complaining about the mess they made during carpet and vinyl flooring installation. I wish I could feel more comfortable about having installers in my home, I would remain a JCPenney customer. But this was it, no more major appliances from JCPenney.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

J.C. Penney is an absolute joke. I ordered an item and after it having said “In transit to store” for weeks, I finally called them. An agent who sounded so monotone I could barely understand what he was saying stated I could get a refund before even giving me any other option to fix my issue or to repurchase said item. Keep in mind I just asked for the status of my purchase.

After hanging up and waiting another week to see if anything changed, I called again and either got another agent who hates his job or the same monotone terrible agent. (I work in a call center. No matter how much I “hate” my job I could never even try to sound this bored.) All I keep getting is the run around on getting a refund and that my item is lost. No one knows if I EVER was going to get notified of my lost package/where it is. I would not recommend J.C. Penney if it was the last store on this earth. Customer service is the base of a company, and you guys suck. Big time. I DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Not impressed. I have shopped at JCPenney forever and I'm not sure I will continue after this past Christmas holiday season. Coupons they send out are worthless because everything you try to buy is excluded. Very frustrating. But, the lady in front of me really made out somehow. She put all her items in stacks of just over $25 and had about 8 to 10 stacks and the cashier let her re-use the one-time use $10 off coupon over and over again because she argued and said "I'm a rewards member". Well, so am I and they take my coupon after one use when I'm lucky enough to actually find something not excluded. Coupons state one-time use and surrender after use. They could learn from Kohl's in my opinion. You can use a coupon, percent off, rewards, promotions and anything else you might have all at once. I tried to use a gift card and coupon at JCPenney not long ago and couldn't because they only have room for one I was told. :(

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Ordered a pair of sweatpants online December 2, 2018. Status showed shipped, shipper information not available for a month. Called customer service to find out where my sweatpants were at. First person reviewed the status and what she was seeing indicated that if I had not received it, it was lost. I had a choice of a refund or reordering. I took the refund. She asked me hold while she processes it and she hung up on me. I called back and got a second person who wanted to argue with me about why I was calling. The next day I see my refund notice and they did not refund the full amount. I have to pay the shipping on a package I did not get!! Sorry JCPenney, besides the crummy treatment from your customer service people, that just cost you a customer. Kohl's will gladly take my money.

JCPenney expert review by ConsumerAffairs

JCPenny was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenny has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenny store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

• Best for: jcp.com carries adults’ and children’s shoes and is best for bargain hunters and busy adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs