1.31/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 20, 2018

1436 JCPenney Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

I am a cardholder and receive mail coupons with offers and promotions. The most recent is an "in-store only" promotion that began today 4/20/2018 and is supposed to run through 05/13/2018. When I arrived in store to receive my free 10 piece sample pack from Sephora they were OUT. I think this is false advertising to get patrons in the store.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Horrible customer service! Ordered washer and dryer online on 4/4 and entered accepted payment method. Set up delivery for 4/12. Received call from delivery department on 4/11 stating my order would be delivered between 1030-1230 on the 12th as planned and I would receive a call 30 minutes prior as a heads up. By 430, I hadn't received a call and the delivery hadn't been made so I called the delivery department and left a message. While waiting for a return call, I called the status phone number on my order confirmation and the automated system said my order had shipped. I thought that the delivery folks may just be delayed.

Delivery department called me before 5 pm and let me know that someone from JCP had actually called them on the 11th and canceled my order noting "customer no longer needs item". I had not called to cancel my order at any time and my husband and I actually took the day off work to receive the delivery. He directed me to JCP customer service. This gentleman was very nice and apologetic. He handled the hiccup well. I called customer service and explained the situation fully thinking that maybe a mistake was made and someone had cancelled the wrong order by accident. Things happen and although this would be an inconvenience, I was still not yet upset. The agent transferred me to an escalation agent.

While holding for this next agent, I checked my email. I had received an email on the morning of the 12th stating that my order was canceled because the item was no longer available. Order status system said that my item was shipped... and the delivery department told me that I supposedly called and canceled the order. The agent came on the line and I again explained my situation. He told me that my payment was declined and they had tried to process twice and it wouldn't go through. I asked him why they didn't call me about it so I could rectify the problem by calling my bank to assure them this wasn't fraudulent activity or provide them with an alternate method of payment. He said they called PayPal and PayPal denied the payment and wouldn't release funds to them.

I again asked why someone didn't call ME as their customer to talk through the issue. He said they sent me an email. The only email I received is the one where it tells me the items are no longer available...not that there was a payment problem! And I received on the day that I was to have my items delivered, not prior! He asked for another method of payment and that he would set me up for another delivery. I let him know that I did not want to order my appliances from JCP any longer.

I then called PayPal to find out why the payment was denied because the payment actually showed as pending in my account. PayPal said that they didn't decline my payment and it was still pending because JCP just had to grab and accept it. PayPal also states that they have no record of JCP calling to talk about the payment as the escalation agent said. I asked PayPal to cancel the transaction so that it doesn't go through to JCP at a later time for an order I never received.

After this, JCP escalation agent called me back (unexpectedly) apologizing for the problems and offered me a $400 discount on my order. I appreciate the offer, however, declined because I don't have trust in JCP's processes since they don't know if 1 - I canceled my order, 2 - my items are no longer available, 3 - My order shipped but was not delivered or 4-my payment was declined. I heard all 4 of these responses from JCP about my order. All 4 are incorrect. I went to Lowe's last night and ordered a set that is a step up from my original order at JCP for $300 cheaper and they are delivering to my house today. If you're considering JCP for your appliances, don't waste your time!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I was at JCPenney store at The mall in Nashua NH and It was 9 o clock so I was trying to get out of the store with my 1 year old but I was park at the other side of the mall so the lady didn’t let me get out. She said I had to get out through the door that goes to the street because every mall door closes at 9 pm. It was just 9 o'clock and they closed the door on my face and send me out with a 1 year old when outside was 20 degrees. My surprise is they were lying. Every door on the mall was open. Just there was close. I feel they are very inhuman to do such a thing to a women with a baby on arms.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Last Tuesday night my washing machine went out. I went to JCPenney in Hiram, GA on Wednesday after work and purchased a new GE washer from Camille. She is very nice and for her part very professional. The washer was scheduled for delivery on Saturday. I was a little surprised because Home Depot, Sears, Best Buy and others deliver next day. On Friday afternoon I received a call that my washer would be delivered on Saturday between 11am-3pm. The driver would call 30 minutes prior. Well on Saturday it got to be 4pm and I still had not received a call. I called the number on my paperwork. The automated service said my delivery was scheduled for 2pm. Obviously it hadn't been delivered at 2pm.

I called the store. Camille happened to be working. She made some phone calls and found out that my washer didn't make it on the truck for Saturday's deliveries. Just great!! And no one could call and tell me that before I spent the whole day waiting on it?? Then to top it off the next available delivery day was Wednesday! Not Monday but Wednesday a full week after my purchase! Well today is Wednesday and still no washer!! I called the store again this morning at 11am and spoke with the manager on duty as the store manager is on vacation until Monday. She said that she would look into it and either she or the appliance department manager Tony would call me back.

At 3:45pm Tony the appliance manager called me to let me know that my washer hadn't arrived from the distribution house yet to go out for delivery. REALLY!! So at this point I have no idea when my washer will be delivered! I inquired about having the store floor model delivered to me. Tony stated that it was a terminal offense to deliver a floor model. I asked if he had spoken to the store manager to see if some sort of exception could be made as I've already been without a washer for a week. He said he was trying to find out and he would call me back. They keep saying that GE is responsible for the delivery and that it is basically out of their hands once the sale is made.

I told them that I feel that I should be compensated for all of this hassle and it taking more than a week to receive my washer. Their answer to that is - "GE will compensate you." Really? Well, I'm not holding my breath as they can't even deliver a washer as promised. I am awaiting Tony's call back. I still have no resolution to this issue at all. They have my money and I have no washer. I would not recommend to anyone to purchase an appliance at JCPenney's. I have no intention of purchasing anything else from JCPenney.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We just received our online order and surprise surprise, it's the wrong color. We call customer service to get the correct item sent to us with a return authorization sticker for the shipment of the incorrect item back to JCPenney. The service representative supervisor says, "Who does that?". Ah like everyone. "Oh we don't do that," she says. She proceeds to inform us that WE have to drive to a freakin' store AN HOUR AWAY or WE PAY to ship it back to the .com folks. Only after that will we receive credit on our charge card for the wrong item JCPenney SENT US!!! After all that they would happy to ship your purchase that you had to buy all over again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: April 3, 2018

JCPenney is the worst store ever. I ordered a new $3k refrigerator and $4k on washer and dryer. They told me delivery date would be March 16th so I planned my move to my new home around this. On March 16th as I was moving they called and said my refrigerator would not come until the 29th and my washer and dryer would not come until April 3rd. After a heated conversation with their highest level escalation person, they agreed that they were going to compensate me for this by giving me back at least 10% of the purchase and that they would call me on the 29th once the refrigerator was delivered to let me know about the compensation. They never called!

Then on April 3rd nobody called and no washer and dryer came. So I called and they told me that it had been rescheduled to the 10th. I asked why they did not call and they told me that their contracted delivery company never calls them to let them know that they rescheduled deliveries. I asked why would they use a delivery company that does that. She told me she did not know and is constantly getting complaints for the same problem. This is the worst customer service company and they do not treat people right and do not care if it is fixed or not. If I could give no stars I would!

Original review: April 3, 2018

Constant calls to set up delivery (3 different delivery dates). All the calls were automated, most would hang up as soon as we tried to hit the number with the option we needed. Would give the item number extremely fast without repeating, but would repeat the number to call back twice very slowly (despite showing on our phone). Delivery came for two of the same dressers, but they delivered one of the correct order and one of a different dresser. To correct this, we need to wait 3-5 days for review, then they’ll let us know when they can come pick it up “if we’re not backed up”. We can get the refund (which may take a while) after they pick up the wrong dresser. To get our correct dresser, we need to order it again. Truly awful service, getting ahold of anyone, let alone anyone helpful has been a nightmare. Absolutely will not be ordering here ever again.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Very irritated with customer support major appliance. I purchased a slide in stove online and it was promised to be delivered 3/29. Had to be home of course so I took half a day off to stay home to revive my stove. 4:30 comes around and it still hadn’t arrived so I called JCPenney who informed me it was still going to show up. They are just running late. Called again at 8:30. Said it probably won’t show up but will definitely be there first thing in the morning and to call as soon as it does show up and they will compensate me 10 percent so I took another half day off work. 10 comes around and still no stove. So I call and they said it was coming for 1-5. Great. Another half day off work turned into a whole day.

So this is my 2nd day I’ve taken my time to stay home. No calls to tell me it wasn’t coming to go about my day. Finally at 3 or so I call again and they tell me that the guys whose truck it’s on Isn’t working today so I wouldn’t receive it after I was told multiple times it was. Finally Saturday morning the range arrives. The delivery guys were in a rush. Didn’t even want to bring the range in the door but I made them. After they left I open the box and there is a dent in the side of the range.

To top it off I call JCPenney after it was delivered just like the woman told me to and she said it was on GE not JCPenney. Thinking I need to call back and just tell whoever to come get it. If I didn’t have so much time invested in getting the thing and the calls there would be no question. JCPenney customer service was nice enough but you can promise a customer something so they won’t cancel the order and then not follow through. It will be the last major appliance I buy from JCPenney and I’m aware GE was also to blame but I purchased through JCPenney. I was their customer so it was their job to make it right.

Original review: March 31, 2018

When it comes to buying appliances I highly recommend staying away from JCPenney Pensacola, FL. My experience has been trainwreck after trainwreck. I purchased in January of 2018 a refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, washer and dryer from Merna. It is March 29th and I still don't have my frig hand dryer. First delivery date they were a no show and called after the timeline.

2nd delivery date they broke screw in dryer and had to order new one. The frig was damaged with several dings and scratches. Offered me 150.00 to take that one or order new one. 3rd delivery brought another dryer but was wrong color, still no frig. This Saturday the 31st of March refrigerator is coming but not dryer. I had sent pictures to supervisor of appliances showing her color match was off and was not the dryer on display in JCPenney on showroom floor. I also went to JCPenney to speak with the supervisor, Jaquie, because she didn't contact me like she said she would, to make sure this issue was taken care of.

She was leaving for the night and referred me to sales associate, Merna. The supervisor told me she was moved to another department, jewelry, but would still oversee transactions made on her shift in appliances. I had sales associate call Samsung to confirm supervisor ordered another dryer. I also talked to Samsung who told me my new dryer would be delivered on the 31st with refrigerator. I told them I wanted both still in the styrofoam box sealed tight with straps. The Samsung representative responded, "So you want the white glove service." I told her I wanted what I saw and purchased from JCPenney, not damaged and different appliances.

I was told by Samsung that the refrigerators do not come in a box. But when speaking with supervisor of appliances for JCPenney she said they did and that she inboxed all the ones on the Show Room floor. I after speaking with Samsung I asked to speak to the manager, Joe, of the store. He told me he would take care of everything and told me how much trouble they have had with the delivery agent. Told me he would take care of the install of my microwave and dishwasher even if he had to put it on a JCPenney card. Then said when everything is complete he would look at would they would give me for my inconvenience.

The store manager assured me I would hear from him the following week which I did not. Two weeks later with 4 days until delivery date of the 31st I decided to go see the manager since he did not call me. The manager showed me a email from escalations saying there was never a complaint put in about the dryer and it had not been approved. The manager told me he thought they would come through and would have me a dryer coming with my refrigerator. I went home and called Samsung and JCPenney customer service and they said all they knew about was a email made dealing with Joe that I had not been approved yet for a new dryer.

Samsung asked me to send pictures and model and serial #. Then I contacted JCPenney's corporate office and he said the same thing. I told him I was thinking about returning everything. Robert told me that adds another problem that I would have to pay a 15 % restocking fee. After speaking to Robert Samsung called back and told me they got the pictures of the dryer and could see the differences in the color but had the same model # . She said they couldn't guarantee a new one would be the right color either. I told her the ones on the showroom floor in JCPenney match in color and that's what I purchased. I suggested I talk to Joe the JCPenney manager about refunding me the washer and dryer and then reordering them together again to get a matching set. Joe responded, "Who's going to pay for that."

And then said he could put it on the JCPenney card. Joe asked me not to talk to anybody else that he had his circle of people working on all this and he had faith they would come through. I went home and called Samsung again and they said I had been approve and started the process to get it delivered. They said up a delivery date of April 7. I texted Joe, JCPenney manager and told him. I got my first response from Joe. He said fingers crossed. The following day I decided to call Samsung to validate April 7 delivery date again and they told me they saw the 7th as the delivery date but underneath she saw that the dryer was on back order and wouldn't be in until the 19th. She said she didn't know why he scheduled it before that. So she rescheduled it for the 21st.

So now I have the refrigerator arriving on March 31 and the dryer on April 21. I will have all my appliances 3 months after purchasing them. Now let me tell you my experience with the delivery drivers. The first delivery scheduled they did not show up at all and called after the time frame to tell me. On the next delivery I watch the guy take a used box off the refrigerator, not styrofoamed like other appliances were and then later shows me dents and scratches and said you saw me unpack it. When he installed my stove he didn't use NEW part to attach to floor so the stove wouldn't go back all the way. I was told I had to purchase all new parts or it would void the warranty.

He had to put new part on and when he took old one off he pulled paint off my wall and cabinets I just painted. Next delivery the guy tried to tell me the parts weren't included. I told him they were and that I paid for them. He went to the back of the truck and got them. I have been without a refrigerator since the day before of the delivery day of the damaged one they brought me., I was without a dryer until the delivery date they brought the wrong colored one. Even JCPenney associates have told me that don't like selling appliances to customers because they know how bad the service is. Merna, showed me a stack of complaints on her clipboard and said that's not all of them. Joe the manager took that clipboard when I was placing my complaints.

Updated on 04/01/2018: I was suppose to have my second refrigerator delivered on March 31st and have my microwave and dishwasher installed. My delivery time was from 2-6:00 pm. Instead of getting my delivery and install I got for the second time a call saying the delivery truck broke down and they weren't going to deliver. Now I got that call at 5:30 pm. I'm going to take a educated guess that delivery guy didn't want to do a install that late. I'm pretty sure it was the same guy that was suppose to make my first delivery and called and said the same thing. Next I messaged Joe, the store manager but of course I didn't get a response from him. So I drove to Penney to see if Joe was there. I must have just missed him because a employee told me managers have to stay later when there is a holiday.

So I then stopped by to talk to Merna, my saleslady I bought from. We went over the conversation we had last time I saw her. We were on the same page about the dryer and refrigerator was suppose to be delivered on the 31st together which didn't happen. (Refer to first review.) Then I stopped by and talked to Jaquie who was the supervisor of appliances at the time of my purchase. We also were on the same page about the dryer and refrigerator suppose to be delivered both on the 31st. Matter of fact Jaquie showed me where she sent Joe the manager the pictures I sent her of the dryer. She told me she had told Joe they needed to get this order right and had also spoke to the district manager Matt. Sounds like Jaquie was trying to follow through and make thing right. But after that the trainwreck continued because I was shown a email that there was never anything said about the dryer and it went approved.

I was told to send pictures that was already given to the supervisor by me and the supervisor sent Joe the manager. I also sent Joe the picture after I sent it to Samsung and they approved a new one. So now I am waiting to hear from the delivery people for another delivery date. Oh and on the 31st the day I didn't get my delivery for the second time my bill for the appliances arrived for the first time. I sent Joe the manager a copy of that and said "It's your turn, I wanna know how much of this bill is going to disappear for this trainwreck?" I told him I think all of it should. I am now trying to contact the District Manager Matt. Looking for the hidden phone number. Now I know why so many Penneys are closing.

Original review: March 29, 2018

On Feb 10 I helped my mother order a twin XL mattress and box spring from JCP online clearance. It is now March 29 and we still do not have our order. However, we have received 5 delivery confirmations and drop off times from 3 different trucking companies, only to call the following day to say they cannot find part of our product. Each time this call comes just after my elderly mother strips her existing bedding and twice she has had helpers or family waiting to assist her, not to mention she has had to cancel 2 medical appointments in order to be home during the 4 hour delivery windows.

I've called customer service multiple times which is usually a 30 minute hold either to be disconnected or connected to a minimum wage worker pretending to be the manager when I ask, with no professionalism. During one of the calls I was treated like a human being by Lori/Laurie and she made a few follow up calls trying to remedy the situation. 2 weeks later and still no bed. I would cancel all together but my mom already bought twin xl sheets and bedframe. She has been a loyal JCP shopper all her life. Never again.

Original review: March 26, 2018

On March 25 from 3 pm to 5 pm we were shopping at the Eastridge JCPenney in San Jose. There was a man in a blue shirt that clearly was following us in the men’s department for 2 hours. I understand they need to make sure their inventory is not being stolen but it’s one thing to security check another to harass people around and disturb their shopping experience! Everyone in my family noticed this guy going back and forth in the department and left when our family left. Clearly he wasn’t shopping but harassing us!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I don't recommend this! I bought an appliance at JC Penney over a year ago. The first year my appliance covered by the manufactory warranty. My appliance broke down a few months after one year. Thought that it will covered 100% by extended warranty that I bought but NOOOO! JC Penney couldn't repair it due to the part no longer available. They refused to replace a new one for me. Instead, they cut me a check of the purchase price only but not include delivery fee, installation fee, and haul away fee that I paid for. So I had to purchase another one and paid again for delivery fee, installation and haul away the old one. How dare the sale person asked me at check out "would you like to purchase 4 year plan extended warranty"? Really? Only reason I went back to JC Penney was they were the only one that had matching set to the rest of my appliances.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Placed a order with this HORRIBLE company on 3/13/18 and my email said no later than 7days. It has been past the time of delivery which I am having delivered to the Coop City Bay Plaza store in the Bronx NY and everyone at 800-322-1189m keeps playing kids' games as well as the store! I called the store manager who ducked my phone calls all week just because he did not want to give me my package status. Meanwhile I sent 168.00 dollars and have no clothes or money and the Nerve of the ** Baby Bill (Store Manager). He took my order number then hung up on me!

I tried calling back but the operator was no help! From Disgusting supervisor Delrose to store management to whole place is a dump! All I had to do was check the reviews about Coop City Bay Plaza JC Penny and I would not have even bothered to place a order. I consider myself lucky after looking at their reviews. There are thousands of people who place online orders and still have not received them 2 and 3 months later!

How disgusting is JC Pennys here I am being told in writing from their company no more than 7 days and when my clothes still has not arrived customer service and Bill the store manager is telling me to relax. It's not a big deal! Delrose, Bill and customer service 800-322-1189 is actually acting as if I am a bothering and harassing them! Lol. Really I am bother JCPenney by calling them 10-15 times a day with 45mins wait times for a rep to answer the phone about a order placed days ago!

This company will go out of business, literally me and every single customer online has similar stories! There is not 1 good review about them! I will look into getting them shut down! My next step is contact Citibank because not only did I wait 12days for a package that was suppose to be here no later than 7 but these ** BABIE, LOW WAGE WORKERS AND JC PENNEY told me I cannot request a refund until the clothes arrives at their store? Yeah ** JC PENNY is smoking telling smart educated people they need their own product that they are selling to be in their possession before any refunds! READ THE REVIEW THEY ARE NOT LIES! THEY ARE LOW DOWN AND DIRTY CITY ** BABIES.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Last night I went to JCP in Beaumont, TEXAS to Purchase items as I do 2 times a week. Well seems to me that JCP never has Cashiers to want to check anyone out. Stations are always left empty. The one I did find open it was a Boy named Nelson and a young lady whom were checking people out. Well Nelson All of a sudden said it was 8:30 and time for him to go and just walked off and left this poor girl with a line full of customers. The young lady asked where he was going. He proceeded to joke with other employees and just literally stood there not doing anything. I asked for a Manager and Ahhaa there was so called non available! I will be in the store today to make a formal complaint.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I was charged 2 times for the same product. My experience with customer service was awful. I spent 2 hours of my time speaking with 4 different rude individuals. One of whom hung up on me, the others being of no help. I will never shop there again.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I placed an order in early Feb 2018...the order did not mail until Feb 27th. I never received the text that my order was ready to be picked up. I called on March 13th and my order couldn't be found. I called the Hamilton Place Mall, Chattanooga, TN and asked for them to physically look for my package. I was told it was there and I could come and pick it up. I went to the store on 3-19-19 at approx 3:45 pm and was told there was no such order. After going round and round with the cashier, I asked to speak with a manager.

I talked with some young supposed manager named Elisha who told me my package couldn't be found. I would need to call customer service again. I was told I needed an order number-which I never received and was told it couldn't be located by my name...the story goes on. I will rant and rave to anyone who will listen about this seemingly unreal situation. After leaving the store I called back and my package was found. JCP better pay for shipping to my house. I will see. I am the one person who will write every board member in this company and the CEO, look out folks I am woman...hear me roar!!!

Original review: March 19, 2018

I recently visited the JCPenney bridal/jewelry department at the Tacoma Mall and was simply amazed by the level of care and appreciation that these folks have for their customer base. First of all, my reason for visiting their store was to hopefully find a better experience than what I had just had with another store (not a JCPenney), where I had actually bought a similar product but was not thrilled at all. My intentions were to browse the JCPenney selection in order to make a more educated decision so that I could better decide how to proceed with my current purchase from the other store.

However, from the moment I made contact with the sales associate, Michael, I was directed to the specific product/style/design that I had interest in, and I was offered professional and friendly input and information on not only the product, but also general knowledge surrounding the product line, which ultimately led to being able to comfortably and confidently make a purchase. I was absolutely flattered by the dedication to customer appreciation and care, as well as the knowledge and personal interest that the associate actually had in the product line. Furthermore, just to add a little cherry on top, Michael set me up with a store card as well as outstanding savings, which left me absolutely thrilled to walk out of the store with 100% satisfaction and 100% peace of mind. I will absolutely do business here again.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I placed an order with JCPenney. Got an order confirmation but then 15 minutes later got an email to say the order was canceled. I placed the order again and the same thing happened. I then called customer service when I was informed that there was a verification issue with my order and that they were unable to see or tell why. So I called my bank and my bank informed me that payment was authorized on both attempts to secure the order. Poor customer care on JCPenney's part because they were very nonchalant with addressing my concern. All they said was, "We cannot process your order but we are unable to say why."

Original review: March 18, 2018

I live a distance away from any JC Penney Store. I feel because there is not JCPenney within a decent driving distance that I am penalized and forced to pay almost $9.00 for shipping when one shirt is costing me almost that amount. No longer any free shipping on no minimum purchases, but you have to spend $100 to get that. Many online retailers off discounts on shipping or even free shipping with no minimum order. No wonder why JCPenney is having problems. The cost of a sweater might be reduced but they sock it to you with such high shipping cost that the sweater is almost what it was normally. Have been a JCPenney customer for almost 50 years and will not be buying online or in any store that is an hour away from me.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I ordered two charging key chains. My shipping charges were 1/3 of the total cost of my purchase. I was supposed to have received my package within 3-5 business days. The first date given in status update was seven days out. The dates changed repeatedly then status updates stopped and tracking information says "No Information Available at This Time". It's been two weeks. First and last time I will order anything from this incompetent company.

Original review: March 11, 2018

We ordered Mom a dishwasher to be delivered. The 398.00 was taken from her acct. A day before it was to be delivered the money was returned to her acct. We called JCPenney & the rep said it was a backorder & was not available at this time. This was 3/6. We told her to cancel the order & she said she did. Now on the 10th JCPenney has taken the 398 from her acct again (she lives on SS). We called then another rep said the CANCELLATION WAS ONLY STARTED & COULD NOT BE DONE IN ONE DAY???

Said G.E. was not closed & he could not do anything. We will have to call back Monday. Said it will be another 5-7 business days before Mom (80 yrs old) can get her money back. Said it is up to G.E. Well GE doesn't have her money, JCPenney does. The first rep dropped the ball & did follow thru on the cancellation. We will NEVER buy anything from JCPenney again. To add insult to injury they still don't even know when the dishwasher will be available???

Original review: March 10, 2018

I ordered and pay for (took money out of my account) on Sunday and they took the money out before the scheduled delivery on Thursday. I needed a washer to replace a broken one asap. So I asked them to refund my money and they said it would take 3 to five days. It only took one day to take it out of my account and now it will take up to 5 days? What the **. I went to the store and the manager was very arrogant about not giving me my money back. 2 days to get the money for the appliance and 6 days later and I still haven't got the 105.99 back for the warranty. I go back to the store and the appliance manager tells me 7 to 10 days to get that back. Excuse me, it's my money and I have to put up with crap. Stay away from JCPenney. They don't mind taking your money but have all kinds of excuses. JCPenney's PA is the worst store I have ever dealt with. No wonder they are about to close!

Original review: March 9, 2018

Customer Service Reps are Incompetent. Your credit card statements when purchasing promotional items are too confusing. I don't like it that I can't easily apply a payment to non-promotional items to my credit card account. I am forced to call your customer service line and have to request my payment to be allocated to the non-promotional items. But the rep did not do their job and allocate as I requested on Feb 26th, 2018.

Additionally on Feb 12th my payment was not allocated as I requested either. Again I had to call back to JCP customer service to assist. It was time-consuming and frustrating. The rep could not clearly explain why there were issues with applying a payment to just the non-promotional items. Seems shady to me that making a payment to non-promotional balance is not user-friendly. JCP wants to stick that high-interest rate to me. I won't be using the credit card anymore and once all is paid off, Bye Felicia!

Original review: March 6, 2018

My bank detected fraud when I tried to buy a washing machine from the online store with JCPenney, they had tried charged me twice and I had to contact my bank to allow one charge through. Then, they turned around and charged me again, two days later well after I'd made my order, this one wasn't authorized by me. I called their customer service and this rude gentleman told me that there was nothing to show, that on their end I had only been charged once. To add insult to injury, it is now 3/6 and my bank account is overdrawn and I can't do anything until the process finishes. If you need new appliances, I'd suggest anywhere else, so as not to get overcharged, and not have the people installing the device STEAL from your home while there.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I purchased a couch for my son in the 3rd week of November 2017 on the JCPenney.com website. To date (3/02/18) the couch still has not arrived. The original 3rd party delivery company that they subcontracted the delivery to received the couch at the beginning of January. It was torture getting them to make an appointment with my son to actually deliver the couch.

They finally made the appointment, but then cancelled the morning of the delivery claiming that the weather was an issue. Each time my son attempted to call to rearrange a new delivery, he was given the runaround and multiple times the company would tell him that they needed to "get their hands on the merchandise". What??? They finally made another appointment to deliver the couch, for which he had to take a day off to receive the delivery... only to be called again. He was told they could not locate the merchandise and would call him back by the end of the business day.

Needless to say they never got back to him. He had to hound them to get a supervisor to call him back. One finally did, and they made an appointment for delivery on 2/21/18. Mind you... he had to take another day off for this. Finally the delivery truck arrives late afternoon on 2/21/18... and guess what??? NO COUCH ON THE TRUCK!!! The driver told him that the drivers don't load the trucks, dock workers do, so he had no idea it wasn't there. Essentially the company made a fake appointment with my son as a smoke and mirror show, we believe to placate him, until they could order another couch to replace the one they lost.

Well... in the meantime I've been in touch with JCPenney Furniture department this whole time with complaints and questions, and asking for assistance with locating and finally delivering the couch. Most of the time I would get the runaround. And once, a very nasty little customer service rep told me, "Ma'am I already told you I don't know what to tell you, it's evident we aren't getting anywhere with this call" and HUNG UP on me!!! However, on 2/21/18 when I called again, understandably really angry, and explained to them what just happened again, and how the truck now did show up but it was empty, a very nice Supervisor of the furniture department felt terrible, ordered another couch under the same order number and eliminated the delivery fee. She then assured me that she was putting in for expedited delivery and he would have it in 5-7 business days.

I received a call from Tana from the Corporate Furniture division on 2/27/18 asking how things were going. I told her that at that point my on still hasn't received a call. She told me she was going to check on it and get back to me. Well I haven't heard from her yet. Well, here it is 7 business days and my son has not even received a call from the delivery company yet (I was also assured that a different subcontracted delivery company would be used). I called the number that was given to me by Tana and was on hold for over thirty minutes until I finally gave up and tried to call the Supervisor that ordered the 2nd couch. I got her general department and have spoken to a very nice rep. who did some digging and found out that Tana did in fact make some calls on 2/27/18 and notated in my history that "THE COUCH IS LOST!!!" AGAIN???

On top of the fact that she's not called me back yet, I am super fuming at this point and trying patiently to hold while this current rep gets a hold of Tana (we hope). So, to pass the time while waiting on hold yet again, I decided to write this review as I feel this is THE WORST handling of an order I've ever encountered. Currently I am waiting to see if Tana is actually going to call me back as the nice rep sent her an instant message... My advice??? Save yourself the grief and aggravation - go to a REAL furniture store. JCPenney should stick to clothing only - and I'll probably never buy another thing from them either.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Penney's has been my "go to" store for basics such as underwear and socks for more than 50 years. Also, it's my store for domestics, such as bedsheets and towels. Men's clothing, used to be better; but now, not so much, as the selection has weakened over the years.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I purchased a GE stackable washer and dryer (model GUD27GSSJWW from one of your store locations (2163, Calumet City) on 2/3/2018. The scheduled delivery date was 2/10/2018 Order number **. Spirit Delivery brought the unit and before the technicians left the premises. I inquired about them staying to ensure the unit functioned properly. The technician informed me that this is not a requirement but I can wash clothing and allow the dryer to run about 30 minutes to remove the new smell. I added clothes to the washer unit and the unit did not work. I called the technician back and the 800 number regarding the unit not working and was informed the technician had left the area and would have to come back next Saturday (only to repair/check unit for malfunctions).

The following Saturday, 2/17/18, a GE technician came to my home to inspect the unit, he informed me that the unit was inoperable and a new unit would have to be ordered. To my dismay the unit would not be delivered and picked up until the following Saturday 2/24/18. Today another tech came to my home to pick up the inoperable unit and replace it with a new unit. Unfortunately, the new unit was damaged in transit. The knobs were missing on the unit. I am so frustrated with JCPenney’s lack of customer service and ability to deliver a unit, which I purchased. I called the customer service number and was informed that GE would accommodate me for my troubles yet that would be decided after the successful installation of the unit.

The installation of the unit has never happened neither has the compensation for the money I have spent going to the Laundromat. That’s poor customer service, I have been without a unit for almost a month from the date of purchase. I spend more than $50.00 every week going to the Laundromat for a family size 4. I have experienced frustration trying to find a solution to this matter. I continuously contact Spirit Delivery, GE and JCPenney to no avail. GE points the finger at JCPenney, JCPenney points the finger at GE yet I still am here without a washer and dryer. Who holds the blame for the defective unit.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

My boyfriend bought me a ring for Valentine's Day. It was gorgeous and I was really excited about it. The first night I brought it home I realized one of the diamonds in it was missing, I brought it back the next day and they exchanged it no problem. A few days later I got the ring caught on something and the band as well as the setting were both deformed. I brought the ring back and because I had the care plan, they sent it off to be fixed. The lady working at the time told me it would take two weeks for the ring to be fixed.

I went back in two weeks and the man working then informed me that the ring was not in and that it would take 4-7 weeks to get in. This shocked me. Had the women originally told me that it would take 4-7 weeks to come in, I would not have been so upset. However; the first ring I received was already missing a diamond, and my current ring is taking MUCH longer than expected so needless to say I will not be buying jewelry from here again. There should be some type of tracking number given to buyers so that they can track what's happening with their fine jewelry, as it would relieve a lot of stress and anger.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

JCPenney lowered my credit limit for no reason then restored it. They lowered my score 21 points. I have talked to Florida AG and Texas AG. They said it happens about a 100 times a day. It's almost dead anyway. Just die. Your stores close by hour not day.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Couldn't find the right size in Arizona jeans, but there were a lot of other choices. Gentleman at the register was very helpful and even notified me of an online coupon I could use.

JCPenney expert review by ConsumerAffairs

JCPenny was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenny has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenny store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

• Best for: jcp.com carries adults’ and children’s shoes and is best for bargain hunters and busy adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs