2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.71/5

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

JCPenney Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Cooks is JC Penny Brand. I purchased this coffee maker in 2009 and although not used every day it’s still working fine. Coffee grounds filter holder is screened, so you get a cleaner brew. Self brew timer settings, cup amounts, easy to clean. Attractive stainless with black accents and blue lightning. Small clean rectangular shape sits on counter nicely. Only con - super noisy.

Original review: April 20, 2020

I buy since many years my Jewelry at JCPenney and I'm always very satisfied, with the Price and the Customer Service. All the Jewelry Offers are great at Quality and Price. I would recommend this Business anytime.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

When shopping at JCPenney, I tend to get great deals when purchasing their products. Their customer service is great and their return policy is without a hassle. I especially take advantage of their sale, which allows to purchase good product at exceptional prices!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I did a lot of Black Friday shopping this past year. I shopped at 3 of the major dept. stores. JCP was by far the best to deal with. I bought some rebate items. All of the JCP rebate checks have arrived. Macy's has about 1/3 of them even registered so I don't know what is going on with that and Kohls has not acknowledged any of them. I spent a lot and bought a lot and some of the stuff needed to be exchanged - again - JCP was the best - by far. I went to the store and the line moved very quickly. Kohls is ok but takes forever. I love JCP.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Penney's is one of the few stores that allows 6 years to pay off expensive furniture purchases. My wife and I were buying a new Sterns and Foster bed which came to $5,000. The extra financing time brought our payments down to $100 a month. Being on a fixed income this made for a great experience!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I called customer service to let them know the piece of furniture was damaged. They are having UPS pick up the item and will issue a refund when it’s received (fine), but I have to place a new order for my item. Why can’t they ship out a new piece of furniture if UPS is picking up the damaged one in a day or 2? It’s going to take the warehouse a day or 2 to prepare the new box anyway.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I ordered a few clothing pieces on Black Friday but received a small appliance instead. JCP won’t process a credit without the items they sent me in error being returned to the store - in a pandemic (or waiting up to 6 weeks for a credit if I return those items by mail). They also won’t Re-order the correct items without billing me even though they already have my money. Those are my options. Poor customer service. I won’t shop there again.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I accidentally scheduled for JCPenney Portraits studio at P495 Westfarms Mall instead of the P418 Trumbull location. This error caused my family much frustration and confusion but we decided to drive from our home to the Hartford area which is approximately 45 minutes drive. Due to distance learning and other issues we cancelled our 2pm appointment and rescheduled for 5pm.

We really eager, excited and wanted to get our photos done and didn't mind the trip as my parents, grandparents, cousins and extended family always used JCPenney photo studies since I was a child. We arrived at 5:05pm and met ** the assistant manager of the site, she made us feel welcomed and even opted to take photos of our three children individually with the family package deal we opted for. Our children are age 6,4, and 1. We were informed to use the family dressing room, picked out a background and told that after we changed we would be photographed.

At 5:10pm after getting dressed we were then immediately told that we cannot take the photos, our session was cancelled because "you took too long and because of COVID-19 I don't have time". I explained to ** that we traveled 45 min with three children, battled through traffic, still arrived on time and I wouldn't mind if she would have informed me of this before heading to the dressing room. She became irate, irritable and frustrated, ** was condescending rude and belligerent stating "I am the assistant manager and this is my decision so you have to rebook that's all you can do I have other customers and it will be 5:30 your session is over".

I continued to explain to her that we would even consider waiting until the last customer to do our shoot even if she would take our one year olds pictures as his birthday was April 11, 2019 and due to COVID-19 we had to wait until this time. To say the least I was in tears, extremely emotional and very surprised as to why she did not forewarn us about this issue before getting dressed. In my sorrow I asked to speak with the store supervisor (**) who was rude, also agitated and frustrated as I was explaining the situation. She proceeded to speak with ** in Spanish for two minutes then proceeded to explain the photo policies and how there was nothing she could do for us and "this is the rule you cannot get it done". As I proceeded to explain to her about our 45 minute drive, lack of communication she immediately silenced my request by staying "policy is policy and there is nothing I can do".

I am a 35 year old, nurse, mother and biggest customer of JCPenney and JCPenney studios. I am appalled by the lack of respect for customers and professionalism. The actions of the team was distasteful and classless for a company I held in high regard. I honestly need answers even emailed corporate about this. I honestly do not believe that this was the first time anything like this has happened and Jelisa's comfortability and ego driven approach has gone unreported for far too long. ** the manager lack of enthusiasm for her job and frustrations was displaced on me (the customer). To have this occur in front of our children was very tasteless and repulsive.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I placed an order and did receive a shipping confirmation. The tracking number shows the package has not moved at all in over a week. This is a clear indication that the package is lost. Customer service claims they cannot offer a refund. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that the package is clearly lost if there’s been no movement in over a week. And they can’t provide a refund? Horrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

In 1 wk my new mattress deflated. Their customer dis-service hung up on me repeatedly and after 3 days said while I spoke, "Tap tap tap I don't hear you. CLICK." I spoke with Sealy, the manufacturer, in the Executive Office, & found out that the JCP Sale mattresses are USED! They sold me a USED MATTRESS DURING A PANDEMIC! It took nearly 2 months to get that out of my home & they did so because Sealy Executive Management fought on my behalf. Still, they stifled me the promised refund on my credit card. There's more to this, but I prefer COURT.

JCPenney author review by ConsumerAffairs

JCPenney was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenney has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenney store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team