2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.8/5 (1885 ratings)

About JCPenney

JCPenney Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Ordered a sheet set in 2 parts, JCP shipping the basic sheet set, and cancelled the matching king size pillowcases. JCP refuses to waive an $8 shipping fee for the no-longer useful sheet set that will come without the matching pillowcases. As a result I will be refusing a $200 order that included a half dozen items. There is no way I will waste 90 minutes driving to the local store to return just a sheet set, the gasoline will cost more than the shipping. Since JCP won't correct its own screwup, I will make the correction by never shopping JCP for anything again. Worst customer service ever. James Cash Penney must be rolling over in his grave at what became of his once great store.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I placed an order on June 27, 2021 with an expected delivery date of July 28, 2021. I called on July 26, since I did not receive a call in regards to delivery time. I was told by the representative that my item would not be shipped until September with no exact delivery date or time frame. Basically, if I did not call I would not have received an update about my order. I have received conflicting delivery dates. It is 3 months later and I have not received my order. Very dissatisfied with the lack of communication and update on my order.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

JCPenney's customer service is awful. Their products are great, but so are other stores. I purchased a sports team item online and was unable to type in the coupon to get a discount, so I emailed customer service. Whoever answered my email was very unhelpful, robotic, and almost condescending. This is not the first time that I've had issues with their customer service and I've honestly had it with the company. I don't have to shop here and I won't from now on. I give them a zero for customer service. It might as well have been an automated machine on the other end. That employee should not be working in a customer service position. Very disappointed. I didn't get the discount from my coupon and I really don't care because I was on the fence already and that employee's response just confirmed to me that JCPenney has lost its magic.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Let me say first of all I have been shopping at JC Penneys for years and most of of the time I am pleased with my purchases. Most of my online and in person shopping is at JC Penneys. I just receive my order of these sheet, I opened them and the smell was overwhelming. They smell like someone has gotten sick and thrown up on them. I have them in the wash and hoping this smell will wash out. Also I'm hoping they will be as comfortable as they are supposed to be.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I need to cancel my order because it hasn't been processed and I need it by a certain date. I tried to cancel but the representatives told me I have to cancel within 30 minutes after purchasing my order. I was unaware of this policy and they won't cancel my order.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Ordered my kids some back to school outfits on a Sunday. Received an email Tuesday stating half my order couldn't be fulfilled due to it not being available (even though the website stated they were in stock). I called the 1800 number in attempt to cancel the entire order after spending well over $100. I figured since they couldn't fulfill the entire order I'd just get a refund and go to a local store to find it. WRONG.

Lady on the phone stated that I would have had to cancel the order within 30 minutes of placing it for them to be able to do it. Ok...well I didn't know you guys couldn't fufill half my order until 3 days after placing it. On top of that the order hasn't been shipped or even processed yet. So now they've got $100+ refunded half my money because they couldn't fufill it (which god knows how long it'll take 'til I see that refund) and now I'm forced to take the order I don't want anymore. I asked the lady why I only have 30 minutes to cancel my order yet they don't have to inform me for 3 days after the order that half of it can't be fulfilled. Won't be ordering from here ever again period.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Ordered curtain panels on June 11; Received an email on June 15 indicating shipped but as of June 29 the tracking number indicates the package has not arrived at the UPS station. Called to cancel the order and was told I had to wait 12 business days. Called back on the 12th business day and was told I had to wait until the end of the business day to cancel (meaning I would have to spend my time making a THIRD call). The Customer Service agent kept interrupting me and finally hung up on me. I called JC Penney Headquarters and received assistance there. But I will never do business with JC Penney again. No local service whatsoever. No wonder these department stores have driven themselves out of business.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Ordered a mattress in store on 5/16 and was told it would be delivered 6/9. Got an email on 5/27 that it had shipped and I would be contacted to schedule a delivery time within 7 days. After the 7 days had passed I still hadn’t been contacted so I called them and was told it was lost and they’d have to do a “doc search” and would let me know something within 3-4 business days. Finally after 2 weeks of not hearing anything, I called them again and the customer service rep was just saying whatever he could to try to get me to hang up and it was very obvious he wasn’t listening to what I was saying at all. Finally after giving me the runaround I was told the first doc search was never filled out so they would send another and it would be another 2 days before I’d hear anything.

Their policy is that you can’t cancel unless it’s within 48 hours of ordering and if you send it back it is a 15% restocking fee so trying to cancel the order wouldn’t do any good. Then after all this, the customer service rep simply told me he was sorry I felt that way and then had the audacity to ask me to rate him 5 stars on a customer survey. I will never order from them again.

Original review: May 19, 2021

I have always been able to find designer clothes at a reasonable price (and in petite sizes that fit me best) at JC Penney. They offer in-store and online sales almost daily making my purchases even less costly. They also have curbside pickup for online purchases, or your items can be sent directly to your address. JC Penney has seldom ever let me down.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I went into JC Penney in Boise Idaho at the Mall to buy a pair of shoes. I picked out two pair and went to pay for them at the register. The young lady at the Register said that if I had a JC Penney Card, I could save several Dollars on my purchase. So I filled out the questions and she handed me a folder with my receipt as well as the information on the card. She also said that the card offered a nice discount if used that day, so I went and found a suit and also when leaving the store saw three shirts that I also purchased. A few weeks went by and I received a notice in the mail that all my purchases were charged on the card. When I looked at my receipt in the folder the lady gave me it showed that all purchases that day were charged to the card ????, I contacted the manager for that department and told him what had transpired and he said he would check and have the store Manager call me with the results of his inquiry.

Several days went by and so I went to the store and asked for the Store Manager and when he came, I related the whole experience to him. He said he would view the Security Camera footage and let me know what was recorded. When he called me back he stated that the camera was off just enough to miss me handing the cashier any funds and if I did, then she most likely returned the funds before ringing up the sale. In fact what was stated to me at the time was that the reason for scanning the card information was to get the Discount that day. I really think that there was a problem with the payment procedure.

As I looked at my wallet to see if in fact the lady had returned the money to me and as I had thought, the money was not there. The store Manager even though seemed sincere and apparently tried to do what he could, said that I may have dropped the returned funds in the store or misplaced it somehow. He even suggested that my wife may have Known where the money went???. I told him that unfortunately the store had lost a good customer who had spent literally thousands of dollars in JC Penney in my lifetime (82 years) and that I would never enter a JC Penney store ever again and would just let all the stress from the experience go as I could not handle the difficulty it caused me.

I told him it was only $300 dollars and not the money, but the principle that concerned me. I learned a $300 dollar lesson from the encounter, which is to never leave a cashier without looking at your receipt. I paid off the credit card and am left with the knowledge that two pair of shoes, a suit and three shirts cost me $606.22 with the original funds and the cost to pay off the credit card. Now I have to cancel the credit card as I will never use it. All this frustration because I wanted to save some money by getting a credit card that offered a discount. By the way I have several close friends who work at that store and they all say that they have never heard of this sort of thing happening at their store. Very frustrating to be sure.

JCPenney author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

JCPenney was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenney has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenney store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

JCPenney Company Information