3.37/5

1607 JCPenney Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I purchased my appliances online since they had a Black Friday sale going on. Before checking out and paying, it asked me for my zip code to let me know when they would be able to deliver my appliances. The earliest date was Nov 15th. To make a long story short, I received a phone call the day after I placed my order letting me know they would be delivering my items Nov 15th between the hours of 1 & 5. I said ok cool. Then 10 minutes later I get an automated call saying shipping has been delayed and I won't be getting my appliances until next week on Nov 20th!!!

Sucks because I am without a refrigerator. (since I got rid of it because was told shipping would be on the 15th.) I called customer service and they said the earliest they are able to move the date is for the 19th of November but would give me a gift card worth 10% of my total purchase price. My total was over 2k and although it's an inconvenience having to wait longer for my appliances, it was nice to have spoken to a representative who took care of me and offered an apology for the inconvenience. Not only that, I got a gift card worth 200. Nice little gift to start off my holiday shopping :)

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

It was streamline easy to order online and then wait for it to be delivered home. The only thing that I feel is disappointing about JCPenney is the customer service. It doesn't seem like there's a sense of urgency sometimes. One time, I stood in line for a Retail Sales Lead to help a lady find a security tag while she folds the 50 clothes the lady bought without making sure I was being helped. It took 15 minutes of my precious time. I had to raise my voice to get her attention.

The other time was when I stopped by a local JCPenney store to let them know that I did not receive my online order delivered to my home. The manager of the customer service/returns section scolded me saying that they'll make a one time exception to refund me since lost packages delivered to homes aren't something they can reimburse/track on. She made it sound like it was my fault and she was doing me a great favor for a refund. I thought that was ridiculous. If I'm paying for the shipping/handling, shouldn't you have better tracking methods? I also didn't like being treated like I'm intentionally ripping them off (although I know there are people who are).

The reason why I'm still giving JCPenney 4 stars is because I've been a long time customer of JCPenney. I've seen the great changes in the store layout. Not many women in their late 20s shop here but I do see the potential of it becoming a trendy department store. If only they'll change their employee incentives (daily goals) to drive better customer service as well as their online website. Although the website is very easy to use, the pictures aren't as trendy. Look at Target. They completely revamped their stores and updated their online pictures to make it edgy. Most shoppers are women and I can agree that any women up to 50 would love to shop at a place that is very bright and trendy.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We have bought different items, online and in-store. In my opinion, it is always recommended to look up the price online and then go to the store to see if you can get a better deal since their coupons differ between store and online. We have been always better off going to the store and saved $$$ every time. The store in my area has more senior staff members that don’t sell up, they tell you how it is and what they think. I really appreciate that and delivery was always easy to schedule.

We have bought, big appliances with them and other items. It became my preferred store for bedding, clothes and appliances. I ordered some things through the app which was easy and after only 2 days it was updated that it was shipped. When I wanted to exchange something, I drive to the store and have had no issue. I have always been treated politely and professional. My only odd encounter was with the ‘blinds’ department, the guy looked like straight outgoing the 60s and treated me like that. I avoided them since then and went to Lowe's. Besides that I really enjoy JCPenney, especially the lower price on brand clothes, appliances and bedding!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Came in 09/13/2018 looking for some specific clothing items for work. I couldn't find what I was looking for. A cashier named ** saw I looked lost asked me what I was looking for. I told her what I needed. She wasn't sure where to go. She walked up to ** and asked where we could find the dressy button shirts. ** gave me direction where to go. Although, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for ** went out of her way to help me. I was given excellent customer service from the 6000 Town East Mall Mesquite, TX 75150 location. I've shopped here for years and have never been offered help. Was definitely nice to get help from a genuine helpful person.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

The apparels are reasonably priced and they don't go cheap on materials, often look better than what is paid for. I can get a good flannel shirt from clearance for $5 and a dress shirt for $10, which still has better quality than some from competitors selling for twice the price. I have bought casual wear, watches, pants, dress shoes, and so on from there and I don't think I was disappointed once.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: May 17, 2019

To whom it may concern: I am and have been a JCPenney customer for as long as I can remember. I have never had a issue with making my payment. I’m always on time. So when I get a notice from Credit Karma that I had a balance of $16 dollars I called right away to make my payment. To my surprise the gentleman on the phone is very rude and almost spiteful. I asked if there was anyway I could have the late fee removed for my credit purposes, he was happy to decline and referred me to complain to the credit bureau. Since my voice and patronage is so minuscule to JCPenney, I will use it to spread the word of neglect anywhere I can speak. If you are looking for a respectable reputable creditor JCPenney is not the one. In their eyes you are just a number printed on a card not a person.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I ordered 3 items, only one arrived. I called them to complain about the issue and I got told that I was lying. That the package was delivered, therefore I had received all 3 items. I was told to return all 3 items if I wanted a refund. I also found out that JCPenney doesn't sell NFL items directly, they order from the NFL fan shop. I contacted the fan shop and explained the situation. They looked the order up by my address, and JCPenney had only ordered one of the items. The fan shop can't send me items they weren't paid for and I can't even do a chargeback with JCP because I paid with a gift card I received.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I ordered towels online, got half my order. After refunding me half, I reordered. Wrong thing came. CS supervisor told me go to store to get refund. I ordered online because I didn't want to go to a store!

Original review: May 3, 2019

JCPenney will rip you off!! Do not order anything online. They will charge your card and then refuse to cancel the order! I keep asking to cancel my order and all they say is they can't. JCPenney has no customer service at all!! BOYCOTTING JCPenney from now on! Do not shop at JCPenney if you want to get good products and good customer service.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I ordered a shirt and pants from jcpenney.com for pickup at a local store. Both items were listed as in stock for pickup at the store. 5 hours later I get a message that the order is ready for pickup but the shirt portion of the order was cancelled. I called the toll free number at jcpenney.com to cancel the pants too because this was a matched set, but the customer service person told me that she could not cancel the order.

First, she suggested that I travel to the store, pick up the pants and then immediately return them. When I said that that was a ridiculous waste of time, she gave me the direct number to the local store. When I called them to connect to the operator, no human ever answered--only recorded prompts. My advice to anyone reading this message is to never used jcpenney.com. They cannot be trusted to have items in stock even when their site says they're in stock, then they will cancel the items that they don't have in stock and force you to pay for the rest.

JCPenney expert review by ConsumerAffairs

JCPenney was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenney has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenney store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

• Best for: jcp.com carries adults’ and children’s shoes and is best for bargain hunters and busy adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs