2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.77/5
Based on 1,885 ratings submitted in the last year

JCPenney Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: May 1, 2021

I went into JC Penney in Boise Idaho at the Mall to buy a pair of shoes. I picked out two pair and went to pay for them at the register. The young lady at the Register said that if I had a JC Penney Card, I could save several Dollars on my purchase. So I filled out the questions and she handed me a folder with my receipt as well as the information on the card. She also said that the card offered a nice discount if used that day, so I went and found a suit and also when leaving the store saw three shirts that I also purchased. A few weeks went by and I received a notice in the mail that all my purchases were charged on the card. When I looked at my receipt in the folder the lady gave me it showed that all purchases that day were charged to the card ????, I contacted the manager for that department and told him what had transpired and he said he would check and have the store Manager call me with the results of his inquiry.

Several days went by and so I went to the store and asked for the Store Manager and when he came, I related the whole experience to him. He said he would view the Security Camera footage and let me know what was recorded. When he called me back he stated that the camera was off just enough to miss me handing the cashier any funds and if I did, then she most likely returned the funds before ringing up the sale. In fact what was stated to me at the time was that the reason for scanning the card information was to get the Discount that day. I really think that there was a problem with the payment procedure.

As I looked at my wallet to see if in fact the lady had returned the money to me and as I had thought, the money was not there. The store Manager even though seemed sincere and apparently tried to do what he could, said that I may have dropped the returned funds in the store or misplaced it somehow. He even suggested that my wife may have Known where the money went???. I told him that unfortunately the store had lost a good customer who had spent literally thousands of dollars in JC Penney in my lifetime (82 years) and that I would never enter a JC Penney store ever again and would just let all the stress from the experience go as I could not handle the difficulty it caused me.

I told him it was only $300 dollars and not the money, but the principle that concerned me. I learned a $300 dollar lesson from the encounter, which is to never leave a cashier without looking at your receipt. I paid off the credit card and am left with the knowledge that two pair of shoes, a suit and three shirts cost me $606.22 with the original funds and the cost to pay off the credit card. Now I have to cancel the credit card as I will never use it. All this frustration because I wanted to save some money by getting a credit card that offered a discount. By the way I have several close friends who work at that store and they all say that they have never heard of this sort of thing happening at their store. Very frustrating to be sure.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Ordered kitchenware online on 6 March 2021. Received notice on 8 March that it had shipped. Called customer service on 18 March and was told it would arrive by 22 March. Called back on 23 March and they admitted the order had never shipped, would I like to reorder? There's an account I'll be closing; JC Penney isn't what it used to be.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I purchased 2 mattress from JCP. They’re just about a year old and one of the mattresses is starting to have a huge dent in it. I called customer service and they will refund me my money but I have to pay $130 for a pick up and restocking fee. In reality I’m not getting my entire refund back if I have to pay $130. I was sold a junk of a mattress and I was never informed in detail about these hidden charges, should something go wrong with the mattress. The mattress and is under warranty, but as a customer I’m required to pay for them to get the mattress back. As a loyal customer for several years I have to say you just lost a customer.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I Do not recommend JC Penney for anything. I have been a long time cc holder, and ordered an expensive pair of earrings for Christmas which I never received, filed a dispute, they are charging me anyway...for something I never received.???

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

On 12/10/2020 I ordered 2 XL Twin size Sealy Mattress as my husband is really sick with Pancreatic Cancer I purchased an adjustable bed for him I was told that my order would be delayed. I waited a Another week and contacted them again for a status and I got from them. I was told that they were on backorder so I asked them why they were selling Mattress they did not have. And I had to wait I then waited another week and got a Email saying that they should arrive to the carrier within 3 to 5 business days. When I got them the Mattress were frayed and had holes in The Mattress, And that I paid over 1300.00 for Mattress that were damaged. They want me to pay a 15% restocking fee as well as a 85.00 pick up fee. They are damaged and I have to pay them to fix The problem Really.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

Customer service is non-existent. Horrible service. I will never shop with them again. I placed an order, realized that I had not changed my address so called within an hour. I was told they could not change my address. My package is being delivered in NC tomorrow and I am in OK. I asked to cancel the order and refund me, they refused because I did not call them within 30 minutes of my order. It did not leave their facility for 2 days! DONE.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I’m not one to turn people away from businesses, as I know people need to have their own experiences and make their own opinions. However, I STRONGLY advise literally any and everyone to stay away from JCPenney in the Ocean County Mall. My husband purchased my wedding set in 2017 and it has been issue after issue with them ever since. Not only are ALL of the jewelry associates inconceivably rude and unhelpful, but I have been calling customer service over and over, asking to be transferred to managers and supervisors for two hours now and my issue is STILL not resolved.

Once I get my rings back (IF EVER) after not having them for over a month, I will be taking them elsewhere to be serviced even after my husband paid extra for the lifetime warranty, because at this point, I would literally spend any amount of money to never be treated like this again. Do yourself a favor and don’t bother buying anything of value from this store. You will 1000% regret it.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

My experience is with a mattress purchase (well 2 after 1 was warranty replacement) and not one portion of my experience was simple, or done as promised. The delivery companies they source out didn't set up as promised, didn't take away as promised, and honestly seemed clueless as to what I was told major communication issues. Both times the mattresses were in protective plastic however after they were dragged down the driveway in the winter they had mud all over them. I've had so many 'cases' created and no ultimate resolution. The quality of the product, service and every aspect of the buying experience was nothing short of a nightmare. If I didn't hope they'll refund me eventually I wouldn't have purchased a second mattress but I was told it was a warranty replacement. Due to this experience I would no sooner purchase a towel from this company ever again. Total disappointment for such a huge corporation.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Dear team, Subject: Order has been incorrectly shipped. I have received items which I have never ordered. The customer service escalation has not been very supportive or customer friendly. I was asked to return the incorrect package with a return label in spite of my request / against my will to commute due to COVID risk. I am also told that most of the customers lie about package delivery hence there is no proof which is a serious accusation. This makes JCP management look into customer service division and shipment division for the improvements. This experience has caused me tremendous hassle over all, delay in my scheduled travel plans. Please respond to refund my money which was not serviced. If no response received this issue has to be escalated further up the JCP senior management team to avoid further problems to other customers like me who is a rewards member for 3.5 years. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

This e-mail is in regard to my recent order. After several calls to customer service, I contacted the sheriff's department and filed a police report, for the package I did not receive. I also contacted the post office and inquired as to the location of my package. At this point, I should expect a full refund of the purchase price of the items I ordered.

On a side note, I have NEVER received such poor customer service. I was literally warned in my delivery notification: "CAN'T FIND YOUR ORDER? This happens sometimes. The first thing to do is to check the bushes, front and back porches, and other possible delivery spots such as with your neighbors. Carriers also occasionally mark packages “Delivered” before they’re dropped off. Please contact the carrier if it’s been more than two hours since you got a delivery notification. More Questions?"

This notice should have been my first clue as to what I should expect. I waited the “up to three days” for my package to arrive, checked my mailbox, the neighbors houses, and “the bushes”. Today, five full days since my package was supposed to have arrived I contacted JCPenney “customer service”. I was informed the package was delivered and I would need to file a police report in order for JCPenney to investigate the claim before any possible refund of my money, because my order was in excess of $100.00; apparently if I hadn’t spent so much money at JCPenney I could have gotten some satisfaction (I won’t make that mistake again).

I contacted my local post office, filed a police report, and have spent the morning kicking myself for ever ordering from JCPenney. JCPenney held no accountability regarding the delivery; shouldn’t the merchant contact their delivery service to find out where the package ended up? When did the customer become responsible for the poor delivery service of a vendor?

So, here I sit, nothing to give my children for Christmas, being billed for items I never received, spending my entire morning dealing with customer service, the US postal service, and the Sheriff’s office. I know my pitiful little order does not mean a thing to JCPenney, they are a big company, but I promise you I will never order from JCPenney again. AMAZON and Ebay should be paying them for the excellent advertising, Shame on me.

JCPenney author review by ConsumerAffairs

JCPenney was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenney has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenney store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team