2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.8/5 (1882 ratings)

About JCPenney

JCPenney Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: May 19, 2021

I have always been able to find designer clothes at a reasonable price (and in petite sizes that fit me best) at JC Penney. They offer in-store and online sales almost daily making my purchases even less costly. They also have curbside pickup for online purchases, or your items can be sent directly to your address. JC Penney has seldom ever let me down.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Ordered my kids some back to school outfits on a Sunday. Received an email Tuesday stating half my order couldn't be fulfilled due to it not being available (even though the website stated they were in stock). I called the 1800 number in attempt to cancel the entire order after spending well over $100. I figured since they couldn't fulfill the entire order I'd just get a refund and go to a local store to find it. WRONG.

Lady on the phone stated that I would have had to cancel the order within 30 minutes of placing it for them to be able to do it. Ok...well I didn't know you guys couldn't fufill half my order until 3 days after placing it. On top of that the order hasn't been shipped or even processed yet. So now they've got $100+ refunded half my money because they couldn't fufill it (which god knows how long it'll take 'til I see that refund) and now I'm forced to take the order I don't want anymore. I asked the lady why I only have 30 minutes to cancel my order yet they don't have to inform me for 3 days after the order that half of it can't be fulfilled. Won't be ordering from here ever again period.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Ordered curtain panels on June 11; Received an email on June 15 indicating shipped but as of June 29 the tracking number indicates the package has not arrived at the UPS station. Called to cancel the order and was told I had to wait 12 business days. Called back on the 12th business day and was told I had to wait until the end of the business day to cancel (meaning I would have to spend my time making a THIRD call). The Customer Service agent kept interrupting me and finally hung up on me. I called JC Penney Headquarters and received assistance there. But I will never do business with JC Penney again. No local service whatsoever. No wonder these department stores have driven themselves out of business.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Ordered a mattress in store on 5/16 and was told it would be delivered 6/9. Got an email on 5/27 that it had shipped and I would be contacted to schedule a delivery time within 7 days. After the 7 days had passed I still hadn’t been contacted so I called them and was told it was lost and they’d have to do a “doc search” and would let me know something within 3-4 business days. Finally after 2 weeks of not hearing anything, I called them again and the customer service rep was just saying whatever he could to try to get me to hang up and it was very obvious he wasn’t listening to what I was saying at all. Finally after giving me the runaround I was told the first doc search was never filled out so they would send another and it would be another 2 days before I’d hear anything.

Their policy is that you can’t cancel unless it’s within 48 hours of ordering and if you send it back it is a 15% restocking fee so trying to cancel the order wouldn’t do any good. Then after all this, the customer service rep simply told me he was sorry I felt that way and then had the audacity to ask me to rate him 5 stars on a customer survey. I will never order from them again.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I went into JC Penney in Boise Idaho at the Mall to buy a pair of shoes. I picked out two pair and went to pay for them at the register. The young lady at the Register said that if I had a JC Penney Card, I could save several Dollars on my purchase. So I filled out the questions and she handed me a folder with my receipt as well as the information on the card. She also said that the card offered a nice discount if used that day, so I went and found a suit and also when leaving the store saw three shirts that I also purchased. A few weeks went by and I received a notice in the mail that all my purchases were charged on the card. When I looked at my receipt in the folder the lady gave me it showed that all purchases that day were charged to the card ????, I contacted the manager for that department and told him what had transpired and he said he would check and have the store Manager call me with the results of his inquiry.

Several days went by and so I went to the store and asked for the Store Manager and when he came, I related the whole experience to him. He said he would view the Security Camera footage and let me know what was recorded. When he called me back he stated that the camera was off just enough to miss me handing the cashier any funds and if I did, then she most likely returned the funds before ringing up the sale. In fact what was stated to me at the time was that the reason for scanning the card information was to get the Discount that day. I really think that there was a problem with the payment procedure.

As I looked at my wallet to see if in fact the lady had returned the money to me and as I had thought, the money was not there. The store Manager even though seemed sincere and apparently tried to do what he could, said that I may have dropped the returned funds in the store or misplaced it somehow. He even suggested that my wife may have Known where the money went???. I told him that unfortunately the store had lost a good customer who had spent literally thousands of dollars in JC Penney in my lifetime (82 years) and that I would never enter a JC Penney store ever again and would just let all the stress from the experience go as I could not handle the difficulty it caused me.

I told him it was only $300 dollars and not the money, but the principle that concerned me. I learned a $300 dollar lesson from the encounter, which is to never leave a cashier without looking at your receipt. I paid off the credit card and am left with the knowledge that two pair of shoes, a suit and three shirts cost me $606.22 with the original funds and the cost to pay off the credit card. Now I have to cancel the credit card as I will never use it. All this frustration because I wanted to save some money by getting a credit card that offered a discount. By the way I have several close friends who work at that store and they all say that they have never heard of this sort of thing happening at their store. Very frustrating to be sure.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Ordered kitchenware online on 6 March 2021. Received notice on 8 March that it had shipped. Called customer service on 18 March and was told it would arrive by 22 March. Called back on 23 March and they admitted the order had never shipped, would I like to reorder? There's an account I'll be closing; JC Penney isn't what it used to be.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I purchased 2 mattress from JCP. They’re just about a year old and one of the mattresses is starting to have a huge dent in it. I called customer service and they will refund me my money but I have to pay $130 for a pick up and restocking fee. In reality I’m not getting my entire refund back if I have to pay $130. I was sold a junk of a mattress and I was never informed in detail about these hidden charges, should something go wrong with the mattress. The mattress and is under warranty, but as a customer I’m required to pay for them to get the mattress back. As a loyal customer for several years I have to say you just lost a customer.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I Do not recommend JC Penney for anything. I have been a long time cc holder, and ordered an expensive pair of earrings for Christmas which I never received, filed a dispute, they are charging me anyway...for something I never received.???

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

On 12/10/2020 I ordered 2 XL Twin size Sealy Mattress as my husband is really sick with Pancreatic Cancer I purchased an adjustable bed for him I was told that my order would be delayed. I waited a Another week and contacted them again for a status and I got from them. I was told that they were on backorder so I asked them why they were selling Mattress they did not have. And I had to wait I then waited another week and got a Email saying that they should arrive to the carrier within 3 to 5 business days. When I got them the Mattress were frayed and had holes in The Mattress, And that I paid over 1300.00 for Mattress that were damaged. They want me to pay a 15% restocking fee as well as a 85.00 pick up fee. They are damaged and I have to pay them to fix The problem Really.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

Customer service is non-existent. Horrible service. I will never shop with them again. I placed an order, realized that I had not changed my address so called within an hour. I was told they could not change my address. My package is being delivered in NC tomorrow and I am in OK. I asked to cancel the order and refund me, they refused because I did not call them within 30 minutes of my order. It did not leave their facility for 2 days! DONE.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I’m not one to turn people away from businesses, as I know people need to have their own experiences and make their own opinions. However, I STRONGLY advise literally any and everyone to stay away from JCPenney in the Ocean County Mall. My husband purchased my wedding set in 2017 and it has been issue after issue with them ever since. Not only are ALL of the jewelry associates inconceivably rude and unhelpful, but I have been calling customer service over and over, asking to be transferred to managers and supervisors for two hours now and my issue is STILL not resolved.

Once I get my rings back (IF EVER) after not having them for over a month, I will be taking them elsewhere to be serviced even after my husband paid extra for the lifetime warranty, because at this point, I would literally spend any amount of money to never be treated like this again. Do yourself a favor and don’t bother buying anything of value from this store. You will 1000% regret it.

JCPenney author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

JCPenney was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenney has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenney store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

JCPenney Company Information