3.62/5
Based on 1,575 ratings submitted in the last year

1618 JCPenney Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2019

They run too high with cost of everything extra, I mean charge glass and point of the what need is charge then add on stuff you probably don't need little thing like bright light should come with glasses. Frames are cheap and usually break, that a neglected, it just too much charge for people with low income, I think trying to get rich off seeing.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I purchased my appliances online since they had a Black Friday sale going on. Before checking out and paying, it asked me for my zip code to let me know when they would be able to deliver my appliances. The earliest date was Nov 15th. To make a long story short, I received a phone call the day after I placed my order letting me know they would be delivering my items Nov 15th between the hours of 1 & 5. I said ok cool. Then 10 minutes later I get an automated call saying shipping has been delayed and I won't be getting my appliances until next week on Nov 20th!!!

Sucks because I am without a refrigerator. (since I got rid of it because was told shipping would be on the 15th.) I called customer service and they said the earliest they are able to move the date is for the 19th of November but would give me a gift card worth 10% of my total purchase price. My total was over 2k and although it's an inconvenience having to wait longer for my appliances, it was nice to have spoken to a representative who took care of me and offered an apology for the inconvenience. Not only that, I got a gift card worth 200. Nice little gift to start off my holiday shopping :)

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

It was streamline easy to order online and then wait for it to be delivered home. The only thing that I feel is disappointing about JCPenney is the customer service. It doesn't seem like there's a sense of urgency sometimes. One time, I stood in line for a Retail Sales Lead to help a lady find a security tag while she folds the 50 clothes the lady bought without making sure I was being helped. It took 15 minutes of my precious time. I had to raise my voice to get her attention.

The other time was when I stopped by a local JCPenney store to let them know that I did not receive my online order delivered to my home. The manager of the customer service/returns section scolded me saying that they'll make a one time exception to refund me since lost packages delivered to homes aren't something they can reimburse/track on. She made it sound like it was my fault and she was doing me a great favor for a refund. I thought that was ridiculous. If I'm paying for the shipping/handling, shouldn't you have better tracking methods? I also didn't like being treated like I'm intentionally ripping them off (although I know there are people who are).

The reason why I'm still giving JCPenney 4 stars is because I've been a long time customer of JCPenney. I've seen the great changes in the store layout. Not many women in their late 20s shop here but I do see the potential of it becoming a trendy department store. If only they'll change their employee incentives (daily goals) to drive better customer service as well as their online website. Although the website is very easy to use, the pictures aren't as trendy. Look at Target. They completely revamped their stores and updated their online pictures to make it edgy. Most shoppers are women and I can agree that any women up to 50 would love to shop at a place that is very bright and trendy.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We have bought different items, online and in-store. In my opinion, it is always recommended to look up the price online and then go to the store to see if you can get a better deal since their coupons differ between store and online. We have been always better off going to the store and saved $$$ every time. The store in my area has more senior staff members that don’t sell up, they tell you how it is and what they think. I really appreciate that and delivery was always easy to schedule.

We have bought, big appliances with them and other items. It became my preferred store for bedding, clothes and appliances. I ordered some things through the app which was easy and after only 2 days it was updated that it was shipped. When I wanted to exchange something, I drive to the store and have had no issue. I have always been treated politely and professional. My only odd encounter was with the ‘blinds’ department, the guy looked like straight outgoing the 60s and treated me like that. I avoided them since then and went to Lowe's. Besides that I really enjoy JCPenney, especially the lower price on brand clothes, appliances and bedding!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Came in 09/13/2018 looking for some specific clothing items for work. I couldn't find what I was looking for. A cashier named ** saw I looked lost asked me what I was looking for. I told her what I needed. She wasn't sure where to go. She walked up to ** and asked where we could find the dressy button shirts. ** gave me direction where to go. Although, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for ** went out of her way to help me. I was given excellent customer service from the 6000 Town East Mall Mesquite, TX 75150 location. I've shopped here for years and have never been offered help. Was definitely nice to get help from a genuine helpful person.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I wish I had read the reviews before purchasing because this just don’t make any sense. It’s been over 10 days since I purchased 7 items online and had them ship to a J.C. Penney location to save on shipping and still J.C Penney haven’t sent anything yet, let’s be for real. How long do it take for you to go gather some shirts & ship them to the location I requested. School have Started & My Son have not any of his clothing from this place. I will never spend another Dollar of mines with them because obviously they’re lacking customer service & their online service isn’t up to par Yet!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

JCPenney is into bait and switch, misrepresented kind of mattress, Company Sealy passed the buck to JCPenney. Unlawful warranty, convoluted warrant/Magnuson-Moss Act. Tell you one thing and then tell you something different. Bad back - Mattress - Sealy does not stand behind sales. No more business dealings with Sealy or JCPenney's. Neither is good for their word. Do Not Trust them. They tell you something and then change their tactics. MISREPRESENTATON - MISLEADING - LYING.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Have had my JCPenney credit card since 2013; have excellent credit. Purchased a gas range in January, 2019. August, 2019, Synchrony closed my card because I have not used the card frequently enough. I am a loyal JCPenney customer; have shopped at your store for over 20 years. Am retired and do not spend what I used to, but I like to take advantage of the specials offered when I use my JCPenney card. Synchrony is denying me access to these specials because I don't use the card enough. Synchrony is, in essence, getting rid of loyal JCPenney customers. I don't shop frequently... but always 2 or 3 times a year. JCPenney Management and Investors need to know that Synchrony is getting rid of loyal JCPenney customers.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I went to JCPenney to buy a shirt for my friend's funeral. Cashier had me apply for a card to save on the purchase. I got my bill in the mail and as there appeared to have no easy online payment I sent in a check for the full bill. Appears JCPenney got the payment late so they added $31 in fees and sent me a bill just for late fees. By the time I got the bill from my post box it was late per JCPenney. So for a shirt I paid for in full when I got the initial bill, I have paid more than twice its value due to JCPenney's late fee structure that does allow for mailing time. Very disappointed in the company and will not shop there in the future and will tell everyone of the experience I received from JCPenney.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I placed an order online, the item was listed as being able to pick-up yet there was no stores within 100 miles that stocked the item, so unlike other sites they lied about the item being available in store. Immediately upon receiving the confirmation email, I noticed the delivery address was incorrect. Online there was no way to edit the order so I contacted JCPenney directly to be told they could not change the delivery address for me, they offered to cancel the order so I could place a new order, but having explained that the funds were currently on hold with their company so I was unable to take that option. I was then told I would be able to change it with UPS.

The following day I contacted them again because the order was still "in progress" and was told I had to wait for the tracking order number. On the second day I noticed the order stated it had been shipped, no tracking order online so I contact company again. Was informed that the tracking number would come from UPS - really! I asked to speak to manager and explained that according to UPS site that JCPenney could have corrected the item for me, only to be told it was my mistake and once the order is placed they cannot change it. I was told I could have cancelled the order, but explained again that the funds were on hold and that would take longer to be released so cancelling an order for a little mistake is not really an option. Both customer service rep and manager were rude and rude. I have used many online stores and always been able to change addresses or order within an hour or so of placing the order.

The attitude was the order was placed, we have your money so tough luck. I was forced to have the items delivered, even though it did not clearly state the item was not available in store. In this day and age of online shopping I would have expected a better service from a big company - small online stores offer better customer service. Extremely disappointed with the don't care attitude.

JCPenney expert review by ConsumerAffairs

JCPenney was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenney has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenney store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

• Best for: jcp.com carries adults’ and children’s shoes and is best for bargain hunters and busy adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs