1.33/5

1522 JCPenney Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

JCPenney's should really stick to selling clothes and towels, they are horrible at selling major appliances. I purchased my appliances in store in Clermont, FL on July 7, 2018, they were delivered on September 29, 2018 damaged. The damage was so bad that they did not take the refrigerator or range hood off of the truck. Today, October 18, 2018 my contractor is unpacking the dishwasher to install and the dishwasher is dented, front and sides. I call all the numbers available only to be told that I needed to call within 48 hours of receiving the merchandise. This was never explained to me or I would have had them unpack everything. They want to send a tech to my house, the dishwasher is not broken it is dented.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I ordered an appliance online. Had to enter my zip code to confirm the earliest they could deliver, was given a Wednesday. On Tuesday when hadn't been contacted for delivery set up I called, told delivery changed to Thursday. Called on Wednesday when no one contacted me again for set up. JCP tells me now it's Friday while appliance hotline still says Thursday. After over thirty minutes with three different people I am finally told they only deliver to my area on Friday or Saturday. Funny that didn't come up when they insisted on my zip code to place the order! And what good is a delivery hotline if the information is wrong? Holding my breath it arrives Saturday in good condition. If JCP wants to compete with others, like Home Depot, for appliance sales they have a lot to learn!!!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I do not normally shop at JCPenney. It's been years (almost near a decade) but I did recently shop here because they advertised every $30 you spend you earn $10 back in rewards. The maximum you can earn was $30 back in cash for rewards. That wasn't the problem. The problem is I spend over $150 so I should have got $30 in rewards. It was a problem getting that. I had to talk to several different people because they did not want to give me that. They gave it to me a week later but when I tried using the rewards it's not like cash. It's a rip off and very misleading.

Whatever I add in the cart the price is on sale but when I use the reward money (that is supposed to be like cash) the price jumps up to normal price so I'm not really saving any money because the reward money earned isn't like cash. Moreso like a coupon. Which is why I remember why I stopped shopping at JCPenney. All these hidden fees and agendas will push a customer away. I regret ever shopping here thinking I was saving some money. The ending result is me giving them more money. SMH.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Ordered a dress and blouse from them, order went through... About 5 days later, I get an email that the blouse is no longer available... Ok, things happen. I finally get the call the dress is in which I go to pick up. I also bought a few things. While checking out, #**, ask for my phone number, which I give her... She does something and ask for number again, again I tell her...

While waiting on me, she answers the phone five times, holding me up... Finally I pay my bill and ask her where my dress is... She again ask for phone number... Finally goes and gets my dress after 15 Mins of frustration. I tried on the dress and didn’t like so I wait in return line, she tries to return dress 3 times, as I watched her, finally it says no return... Dress already returned! Now she has to get manager who tries and can’t do, so another manager is called... Tells mgr #** to call # on order slip... After another long wait, she’s finally able to do it... What a total waste of 30 mins+ time! Never again!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

It was streamline easy to order online and then wait for it to be delivered home. The only thing that I feel is disappointing about JCPenney is the customer service. It doesn't seem like there's a sense of urgency sometimes. One time, I stood in line for a Retail Sales Lead to help a lady find a security tag while she folds the 50 clothes the lady bought without making sure I was being helped. It took 15 minutes of my precious time. I had to raise my voice to get her attention.

The other time was when I stopped by a local JCPenney store to let them know that I did not receive my online order delivered to my home. The manager of the customer service/returns section scolded me saying that they'll make a one time exception to refund me since lost packages delivered to homes aren't something they can reimburse/track on. She made it sound like it was my fault and she was doing me a great favor for a refund. I thought that was ridiculous. If I'm paying for the shipping/handling, shouldn't you have better tracking methods? I also didn't like being treated like I'm intentionally ripping them off (although I know there are people who are).

The reason why I'm still giving JCPenney 4 stars is because I've been a long time customer of JCPenney. I've seen the great changes in the store layout. Not many women in their late 20s shop here but I do see the potential of it becoming a trendy department store. If only they'll change their employee incentives (daily goals) to drive better customer service as well as their online website. Although the website is very easy to use, the pictures aren't as trendy. Look at Target. They completely revamped their stores and updated their online pictures to make it edgy. Most shoppers are women and I can agree that any women up to 50 would love to shop at a place that is very bright and trendy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I ordered two down pillow for about $88.00. They were being shipped to my closest JCPenney, an hour drive from my home. Received the email that they were ready for pickup. Drove the long drive to find that only one pillow was there. Was given one pillow and was told I would get a message when second pillow arrived. No message and then I get a "returned item" refund in the form of a gift card in the mail. I paid through PayPal and I want a refund, not a gift card! Called them on the phone, man says he cannot refund my money and I have to open a PayPal case. PayPal finds in my favor but I have to ship back the first pillow and it cost me over $12.00.

No one answers the phone at the store I picked up. No apology, no ethics. It appears that they do not care about their customers. Totally incompetent. The last woman I spoke with said I was supposed to return the one pillow back to the store. After I already shipped it back like I was told to do by their other representative, at my expense. Yeah, right. I wasted my time, gas and money and have nothing good to say about this company.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Having a house built, purchased my appliances while they were on sale. My house wasn't ready for the appliances to be delivered so I changed the delivery date, delivery company will only hold for 30 days. I am still not ready for appliances so I tried to change address of delivery to my contractor's shop so that he could put them in my home when he is ready. This is an impossible task! So do not order any appliances until you are ready for them or try to change the address. It will not happen. I have to cancel my order and probably lose my sale prices unless I can get a store manager to honor them. Very, very disappointed, angry and frustrated in JCPenney! I understand they are trying to protect me as a consumer, but I am also a loyal customer. You would think that they would also take that into consideration!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

This has been by far the worst customer experience I have ever had. From getting told someone would call me back in a couple days about my order, to being told they did not know where my furniture was, then it being damaged because they work with a terrible delivery company called Guardian Logistics, who delivered it three weeks late damaged, after they did not even know they had it in their receiving, and then being told I’d receive my refund and waiting a week just to be told there’s nothing in my notes about getting anything or even the conversation that happened. I spoke to 7 people at JCPenney, 5 of them sounded helpful on the phone all to realize that nothing was actually getting done.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

"I" made a mistake & accidentally overpaid JCP $4903.00. After initial call informing them of my mistake, we agreed to make the correct payment over the phone of $49.03 so the mistake would be rejected and to wait 5 days. NO - it was not rejected but kept. Then they said it would be 5-15 days until I would receive a check for my refund. I called 8 days later and they said they have no request for a check request and that I have to wait another 5-15 days.

There is no one higher to talk to and that the dept that cuts the checks has no phone number and no way to contact them to find out the status. This happened over and over. When I told them to listen to all my recorded conversations - they said oh yes - there is a check request from Sept 25th but no further info can be given on the status except to wait 15 more days. This is ridiculous. There should be a way to expedite my check or to at least see the status of my original request. JCP customer service procedures is the worst. (Not the representative but JCP policies). I am so upset.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Wish I could give zero star. I ordered sweater from Jcp.com and website accepted order and after 3 days they canceled my order. Can you believe it?. Website had wrong stock and took order and then took them 3 days to figure out to cancel my order. Called customer service to cancel my order which has another sweater also in order and customer service could not cancel my order. Asked to contact store. And today after 7 days my order is showing in transit to store. Everywhere there is a mess! No wonder customers are turning away from JCP and using other alternatives.

JCPenney expert review by ConsumerAffairs

JCPenny was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenny has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenny store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

• Best for: jcp.com carries adults’ and children’s shoes and is best for bargain hunters and busy adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs