1.32/5
Based on 288 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1482 JCPenney Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I bought several items online recently. Six of them were watches and two of the watches arrived broken so I returned them. I received a request from JCP to post a review and I submitted a honest review and they said my review did not meet their standards so they would not post it. I mentioned in my review that the watches were broken and in my opinion the price was too high for the quality of the watch. I did not use vulgar language and I was very professional. So that is not why they did not post the review. They only post the "nice" reviews. Please be aware that any reviews you see have been cherry picked to reflect nicely upon JCP. No wonder they are going out of business.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

JCPENNEY.com feedback cannot be trusted. While leaving five stars and saying a suit was very nice, I also let it be known that it was late getting to us and that it is important to have accurate delivery dates showing the latest date for arrival. For that latter part, my comment was not allowed to be posted.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

DO NOT ORDER CUT TO WIDTH BLINDS FROM JCPENNEY! I ordered cut to width blinds. Asked for 57 1/2" width. They shipped 57" blinds. I could not figure out why they kept falling out of the brackets I installed. I called JCPenney to tell them their supplier had shipped the wrong size. They told me they could not reorder it, because it was now "out of stock". I went online and found the exact blind, but now at a higher price. (I thought that was dirty that they would not re-order the blind at the same price for me.) I went ahead and ordered it at the higher price, because I really needed that blind.

I had to remove brackets, and repack all of the parts into the box and haul it over to JCPenney for a refund. I waited until the other blind came in. (First time I had it shipped to my house; second order I had shipped to the store for pick up.) I hauled in the wrong size blind for my refund and picked up the other blind. Before leaving the store, I had them open it and measure it. IT WAS ALSO 57" WIDE! They sent the WRONG SIZE the second time. I got a refund for that order, as well. LIVE AND LEARN. Do NOT order custom cut-to-order blinds from JCPenney until they get another supplier.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Hello, I purchased some sandals for my kids and I was told they would of gotten here. Unfortunately after ordering them on July 31st I have been told by several phone reps that it still has not shipped. I called today and one lady I spoke with would not get me a manager and was rude to me on the phone. She even insisted for me to cancel my order and re-order the shoes. My kids have pre-school next week? I asked several times for a manager and called another male representative who would not give me one to talk to. This is a billion dollar co. and there is no manager on duty? I am still waiting for a manager to call me or someone to email me. They took my money but still no items sent out... Bad business and bad customer service. Will not buy items for this company again!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

My husband and I wanted to replace our old mattress so we did the research online and found a mattress at JC Penney’s that we were interested in, so we wrote down the item number of the mattress we were interested in and went to the JC Penney’s store at the Victorville Mall to see if the mattress was in stock and to try it out. The mattress was in stock and the floor model had one side firm and the other side plush so customers could decide which type they wanted. We had selected the plush online and even wrote the order number for the plush. We decided that we wanted the mattress in the plush and provided the sales associate with the information from online to order the plush mattress. The sales associate ordered the mattress in firm and gave us back the online paperwork with the plush information on it.

Further, she rang up the purchase which came to $1538.92 and this was on July 28, 2018 at 4:33 PM. It did not state on the receipt that she ordered a firm mattress so we thought she utilized the online information to order the plush mattress that we wanted. When we got home from shopping around 8:00 PM we checked our email to discover an email from JC Penney’s confirming our order for a FIRM mattress which is not what we wanted. The next day (July 29, 2018 around 9:00 AM) I telephoned JC Penney’s customer service and reached a RUDE sales associate who informed me that I could not cancel the FIRM mattress and would have to wait for it to come in on August 7, 2018, and refuse shipment and reorder the mattress I initially requested.

My husband and I (July 29, 2018 at 12:15 PM) returned to the Victorville Mall JC Penney’s store and showed sales associate Bianca the receipt and also the information that we had wrote down from online regarding the order for the PLUSH mattress yet the sales associate from the night before (July 28, 2018) ordered us a FIRM mattress anyway. Bianca remembered us from the previous night and opted to help us as the sales associate who ordered the wrong mattress was not there. Bianca reported that she could cancel the FIRM mattress and order the PLUSH mattress that we wanted but we would have to pay for it again and wait 3 to 5 business days for a refund on our credit card for the cancelled FIRM mattress.

We ordered the PLUSH mattress and on the same credit card and we were charged $1538.92 for the PLUSH mattress. When we got home on July 29, 2018 we received an email that a FIRM mattress would be delivered on August 7, 2018 and a second email confirming delivery of a PLUSH mattress on August 7, 2018. I telephoned JC Penney’s customer service and informed the sales associate that the FIRM mattress had been cancelled at the store by Bianca and that we only wanted ONE PLUSH mattress. I was informed that if two mattresses showed up to send the FIRM mattress back, but that most likely only the PLUSH mattress would be delivered.

On August 3, 2018, two charges had been placed on our credit card in the amount of $1538.92 times two for a total of 3077.84 to JC Penney’s. This was the 5th business day and instead of taking the charge off they billed for both mattresses. On August 3, 2018, I telephoned JC Penney’s customer service and explained the situation to a sales associate who informed me that it takes 7 to 10 business days to receive a refund on your credit card. On August 8, 2018 we received an email from Ryder Last Mile confirming the JC Penney’s mattress delivery to take place on August 9, 2018 as opposed to the delivery date of August 7, 2018.

On August 9, 2018, the delivery truck showed up at our home and I informed the driver’s not to take the mattress off of the truck if it is a FIRM mattress. The driver confirmed that the mattress was a PLUSH mattress and not a FIRM mattress. He took the mattress off the truck and I inspected it and confirmed that it was a PLUSH mattress so I took delivery and they set it up and my husband inspected it and signed for it.

On Friday, August 10, 2018 (10 business days) the charge for TWO mattresses was still on the credit card. I telephoned JC Penney’s customer service and didn’t catch the name of the sales associate, but I explained the situation to her that I had received the ONE mattress in PLUSH that I requested, but I have paid for TWO mattresses as the cancelled mattress is still showing on the credit card and they have been paid at JC Penney’s for TWO mattresses. The sales associate reported she would have to speak to a manager and after about 15 minutes on hold she hung up.

I telephoned customer service back (August 10, 2018 at 4:10 PM and spoke with a sales associate by the name of Collins. I informed him that I was just hung up on by a sales associate who was working on my case of trying to get us a refund on our credit card and I explained the situation again to him. He put me on hold and informed me that he needed to speak with a manager and I informed him that if the call gets disconnected I will have to call back and explain the situation again to another associate. Collins took down my telephone number and informed me that if the phone is disconnected he will call me back.

After about 10 minutes Collins came back on the line and reported that he sent an R.A. case. I asked, "What is that?" He reported, it (FIRM Mattress) was shipped out and they (JC Penney’s) will contact the Last Mile Driver to take the mattress back. He reported that the manufacturer was never contacted in time to ship the mattress back. I informed Collins that there has been no delivery or email confirmation for a FIRM mattress to be shipped to our home from the Ryder Last Mile. I informed Collins that there was an email on August 8, 2018, that a mattress would be delivered on August 9, 2018 and it was delivered and it was a PLUSH mattress which I took delivery of. There is no FIRM mattress being delivered to my home. He then informed me that until they get the mattress back (FIRM) that I would not receive a refund to the credit card.

I informed him that the order was cancelled for the FIRM mattress on July 29, 2018, by Bianca at the JC Penney’s Store in the Victorville Mall. Collins was unable to give me a date when we could expect the additional charge of 1538.92 to be taken off of our credit card. I informed him that we would incur additional interest charges if this charge was not removed from the credit card and that we cannot pay for the same mattress twice. I also asked to speak with a supervisor and he referred me to the legal department of JC Penney’s.

I telephoned the legal department of JC Penney’s after hanging up with Collins. I spoke with a sales associate by the name of Laura and I explained the situation again to Laura. Again, she needed to speak with management. After about 15 minutes she reported that she needed to create a ticket and leave it open. I asked her what this means. She asked for the order number of the cancelled FIRM mattress so I gave her the 16 digit order number of the FIRM mattress. She reported that this order was not cancelled. She then asked for the cancelled FIRM mattress 16 digit number which I gave to her for a SECOND time. She continued to report that this number was not in the system. I Informed her that I could give her the 16 digit order number for the PLUSH mattress which I took delivery of and when I gave it to her she appeared to be confused.

I also informed her that JC Penney’s has been paid for both mattresses, essentially they were paid twice for ONE mattress and I only wanted ONE mattress. I also informed Laura that the original sales associate informed us that we would receive a refund of the FIRM mattress to our credit card in 3 to 5 business days. We waited and then contacted customer service who informed us that it takes 7 to 10 business days to receive a refund to our credit card so again we waited and yet the charge still remains on the credit card. Laura reported that she was going to transfer me to the escalation department where I spoke with a sales associate named Kim in the escalation department.

I explained the situation again to Kim and she asked for the 16 digit order number for the FIRM mattress and I provided it to her. She asked again for the cancelled order 16 digit number (FIRM) and I gave it to her again. She then informed me that I needed to file a claim with Mastercard which is the credit card that they charged twice. I informed her that I was going to contact the credit card company next to inform them that JC Penney’s charged twice for ONE mattress and let them get the money back from JC Penney’s as my husband and I are not paying twice for one mattress. She began to get agitated (she was on speaker phone for my husband and adult daughter to also hear) and asked for another 16 digit number.

I asked her if she wanted the number to the PLUSH mattress that we took delivery on and she stated, “Don’t give me the number ending in 7210." I told her the number to the PLUSH mattress ends in 7901 so she wanted that number. She then became more angry and reported that she would refund $1300.00 to the credit card and I began to inform her that this is not correct when she cut me off and reported that by Thursday we would have a refund in the amount of $1538.92 placed back on the credit card. Kim was hostile and stated that if the money was not back on the credit card to call back, but she knows that it will be there on Thursday. The Thursday she is referring to without her giving a date would be August 16, 2018. Kim also realized it was their mistake and she apologized in a very aggressive tone.

TO DATE: NO REFUND HAS BEEN CREDITED TO OUR CREDIT CARD. Circumstances not taken into consideration in these matters: I was scheduled to have breast cancer surgery on July 30, 2018. My husband and I were supposed to be celebrating our 25 year wedding anniversary on August 7, 2018. Due to a breast cancer diagnosis our Hawaii vacation from August 4 to August 9, 2018 had to be cancelled - This was to celebrate our 25 year wedding anniversary. My husband decided to give me a Silver Edition Plush Mattress to replace our 18 year old mattress as the 25 year anniversary is a Silver celebration and he wanted me not to be uncomfortable after surgery.

We thought the process of buying and receiving a mattress would be a simple process and it would be a quick process to receive a mattress. My first call to JC Penney’s customer service on July 29, 2018 was placed while I was in route to Massage Envy to receive a relaxing facial the day before cancer surgery - needless to say this call yielded a rude response that there was nothing that could be done and I had to wait until the FIRM mattress came in and send it back before I could get a mattress which defeated the purpose of buying a mattress in the first place.

Further, we were originally informed that the mattress would be delivered on August 7, 2018 which is the actual date of our 25 year anniversary however; we were not notified until August 8, 2018 that the mattress would be delivered on August 9, 2018. Given all of these issues with attempting to make a major purchase with JC Penney’s and being charged twice and having them collect twice for one product and having to deal with extreme attitudes just to get them to right their wrong I would not recommend anyone make a major purchase through JC Penney’s.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

DATE Called: 4 JUNE 2018. Calling to find out where my leaf is, they have to replace it again since it was damaged again when they put together the second table. The item(s) from your order: ** placed on May 02, 2018 has been shipped. Updated tracking information will be available within 24 hours on the carrier's website. Signature Design by Ashley® Larchmont Dining Table with Leaf. Product: LARCHMONT DINING TABLE WITH LEAF. Color: Dark Brown. Qty:1. Date Shipped: 05/23/2018.

Table was delivered and the same piece was broke on the leaf. The delivery guys took the leaf of the table back with them and said they would send a replacement for the leaf. I still have the table, just waiting on the leaf to be replaced. I called and talked to customer service and when she explained what she thought was the issue I told her no, that is not it. The girl hung up on me!!! I called right back and talked to: Lindsey, in Ohio so she puts me on hold to talk to the complaint department, time 7:30 pm. I hung up myself after calling back and being on hold for 10mins, and now I'm on hold again for the complaints department. It is taking forever, they must have a lot of people with issues...

06/04/2018 8:15pm-ish. After Robin called the service dept., she got no answer. Stated she would call me back on Tuesday afternoon (06/04/2018) after she calls the service dept again to find out where my leaf is and when it would be delivered. This is now the evening of 4 June 2018 9:09 pm and I have yet to get a call back from Robin.

Date: 7 June 2018, Time: 7:51 PM call time. ** Customer Service Dept: Banke transferred me to Asha, trying to figure out where my the leaf. 24-48 hrs, then 3-5 business days. Date: 11 June 2018, Time: 5:17 pm call time. POC: Keanua Put me on hold to take my order. 11 mins. After 11 mins on hold she comes back and states that I need to call the delivery people and she gives me their number, 703-964-9500 for me to have my table delivered. I had to explain AGAIN that I am only requesting that the leaf be replace because the last two was damaged. I am back on hold again so she can talk to her supervisor. (Time on the phone 17 mins, just waiting). She continues to say she is going to notate the account, and get it expedited to me overnight. The problem she says now is with installation area. I am on hold again waiting for her to transfer me to the installation dept. 25 mins.

But she is going to make sure it is expedited shipped to me overnight. ON HOLD AGAIN, 30mins on this call as of right now. (Milwaukee center transferring me), THEY JUST HUNG UP ON ME!!! Date of Call: 06-11-2018. Start/End Time of Call: 5:47 pm – 6:06. POC: Annette, Supervisor: review the order, transferring me to a furniture supervisor, I’m on hold ONCE AGAIN!!! Customer Care Service: Tiffany, NONE of these people act like they even care, their tone is so nonchalant, like OMG another customer that is complaining. ON HOLD AGAIN, it’s 5:59. Bill number: **

Date/Time: 19 June 2018 5:54 pm Breanna: Had to explain again my situation again, she is calling the Furniture Dept, she put me on hold. Transferred me to Bob in Furniture: ** Stated the leaf was re-ordered on the 11th June. WHERE IS IT??? BOB (Robert) Stated that it will take another 2-4 weeks to get this leaf.

JCPenney.com, please call Customer Care at 1-800-322-1189. Customer Service POC: Tammy: Transferred me to the Furniture dept again. POC: Breanna. Date: 29 June 2018. Time of Call: 6:26 pm. POC: Transferred again:

Supervisor: Shaun (male). Why can’t you call the Vendor and ask them where the leaf is. Put on hold, Shaun is looking for Robert to get his take on the location of the leaf. He keeps saying that the case was closed and has been reopened. Shaun stated that he would call the Vendor directly since he will not give me their number. He is going to call then call me back and let me know if he reached anyone, but also send them an email to find out the location of my leaf. He also said that he would be calling me back on Monday to talk to me. I said, "No. You will call the vendor now and then call me back." (I will be out of town and cannot be reached by cell phone or text.) Time of Call Ended: 6:46 pm.

Shaun called back and said 6:52 pm that Ashley is closed and will call and email me back on Monday. Customer Service: CSR ext: 215613. Mathew: transferring me to furniture dept. Tiffany: this person stated that I would have to be charged a restock fee. HELL NO. She transferred me to a supervisor. Date: 07-09-2018. Time of Call: 6:13 pm. Sandra (Supervisor): stated that she had to put in an RA (Return Authorization number). She stated that it would take 24-48 hrs to put in the RA. Pickup info: **, Ace.

I was called on 12 July to set up an appt for them to pick up my table. She stated they would be out on 13 July between 1-5 pm. I told her I will not be home until after 4 pm. Make up they put me last on the list. She said they will try. 13 July I received a call from the pickup people at 11:05 AM and they stated that they would be at my house in 30 mins. I told them NO, that I would not be home that they would have to come after 4 pm. They said I would have to be rescheduled. 16 July at 4:41 pm, I called the number from the Ace pickup/scheduling office, no answer. I left a message telling them they need to pick up this table. Any time after 4 pm all this week. No return call from them. TODAY 17 July at 3:55 pm, I called and they did not answer.

Contact Person: Liza, (a guy) IT transferred me to Nicole. I told Nicole the story. She is calling the pick up company to see when they can come and get the table AFTER 4 pm any time this week... On Hold as of 6:24 pm for 12mins. Jeffery from Non-stop: Hub: 703-964-9500 ext: **, Call center. Call the HUB if the pickup company has not called me by Noon. Customercare@nonstopdelivery.com. Pickup info: 405-464-7338, Ace Pick up service: 405-215-9471.

Shalamar: working 405-215-9471. Stated she would call me back when she can schedule me in after 4 pm, and she would not say this week. Just when she can get me after 4 pm. Jesse: gave me the number to Furniture pickup. 800-442-7902 Furniture Pickup dept. Montana: Had to reopen the ticket AGAIN! Talked to 13 People already, Escalation Department: Destiny is calling to see if they will pick up this table on the weekend. LONG hold 20 mins.

Denise: Date: 28 July 2018, 7:12 pm. Dana, Kansas -- Pickup service stated they would be here Saturday, 28 July between 2-6: 30 pm and that they would give me 30 min call ahead time before they show up at the house. It is now 7:09 pm and no one has called or come by the house to get this table!!! Called to talk to customer service and ask why these people have not called. POC: the wait time stated it would be 64 mins to wait to talk to a customer care associate. Hung up and called Ace Pick-Up Nonstop: 7:13 pm: NO ANSWER. Call JCP back and had someone pick up within 3 mins, she is calling the main hub to find out where the pickup people are, and or why they have not called me. So Freaking irritating.

Ticket #: ** 28 JULY 2018, 7:31 pm, in reference to the pickup people. She stated that someone from the support team will call me back with 2 business days, Tuesday, 31 July 2018. customercare@nonstopdelivery.com. Dana stated that she will call me back on Monday, to check the status of this account. She will be calling afternoon when she gets in. 30 August 2018, Dana called me Monday afternoon to ask if Ace called to set a pickup time. Yes they did call, stated that they would be out Wednesday, August 1, 2018 btw 4:30-8:30 pm.

1 August 3:50 pm, Ace pickup called and said they would be at the house in 15 mins. I said no I will not be there until around 4:30ish. They said ok. They came, picked up the table and left took them 10 mins. Because I already had the table apart and ready for pickup. POC: Shalamar said it would take 2-4 weeks to get my refund: I DONT THINK SO!!! I asked to speak to the escalation dept. She put me on hold. Time now is 4:52 pm -- Total Call Time = Hung Up and called back.

Call Time: 5:08 pm. Joe, Tiesah, Ashley. I was transferred by 3 different people to the escalation dept., and then to get transferred right back to customer service. JCP SUCKS!!! They put me on hold and left me, it has been 18 mins so far. And no one has even checked my call. Someone finally comes on. It has been 20 mins on hold, WOW!!!

Carmareta picks up from the escalation dept, then says let me put you on hold, WTH!!! Time is 5:30 pm, still on hold. A.J. said I would get my refund with 5-7 business days once the table was checked in at ACE Pickup Service. She is telling me that I need to call back tomorrow to make sure the table. I told her to have them call me back and give me the status of the refund, I am sick of calling them and being put on HOLD forever!!! 800-442-7902 Furniture Pickup dept.

WHERE IS MY REFUND??? 9 August 2018 4:58 pm POC: Michelle. Put me on hold again so she can contact Furniture. Chaneea, Ticket # **, stated that I would get the 3-5. I will not shop at JCP again, they have given me the runaround for months trying to get his table picked up and my refund. They asked me if I wanted to speak to someone at corporate and they have put me on hold again, and just transferred me to someone else in the furniture escalation dept. This company sucks, and once again they transferred me to someone else in the same dept. THEY DON’T GIVE A ** ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

The apparels are reasonably priced and they don't go cheap on materials, often look better than what is paid for. I can get a good flannel shirt from clearance for $5 and a dress shirt for $10, which still has better quality than some from competitors selling for twice the price. I have bought casual wear, watches, pants, dress shoes, and so on from there and I don't think I was disappointed once.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I inadvertently order the wrong product, when I contacted customer service I was told I did cancel in time and the order could not be cancel even though it had only been a short amount of time. The excuse the supervisor gave was they are required by law to allow cancellations for 30 minutes only and I would have to wait for the item to be delivered then return the items to a local JCPenney store. In researching that statement I found no law in California that allows that and in fact according to BBB it's 3 days. I believe everyone should be aware that shopping online with JC Penney is not a good idea.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Salesperson failed to disclose that return policy isn't the same as other departments when buying appliances. Stuck with $1000 oven that don't fit and has never been used and is still box. Filled a credit card application out to purchase and bought a warranty... Tried calling corp, local store I bought it from, company that made it, tried selling it on several sites online now 1/2 year later realizing no ones going to buy it even so I am stuck taking a loss. Salesperson didn't know when sale would end and we thought we would have time to return it if it didn't fit... I don't even know if it works since it's never been out of the box.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I bought clothes in the store and online -- not too many options for shopping where I live. JCP has not refunded the full money I paid for items that were returned. I have been working on this for 3 months. Friday I got a call from the store manager who was trying to figure it all out -- Called yesterday and today with no answer, called operator and learned manager was on vacation -- I'm all for vacations, but he could have told me he was unavailable this week. Also, I am simply asking for their record of the items I kept -- they sent me about 100 pages of all my transactions. Customer service needs a lot of training, as does management obviously. Instead of the list I requested they sent a list of all items purchased, with returns -- I can't understand the paperwork they sent me. No more purchases from JCPenney no matter how nice the clothes are.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Our local JCPenney is the ONLY department store in town. I would think that JCP would capitalize on this opportunity to meet the needs of the community. I continue to try and utilize our local store as much as possible but continue to be disappointed in the lack of organization and neatness. My husband went in to the store yesterday to find a pair of pants. He quit looking because things in the Men's department lacked total organization. Shirts were wrinkled, and unorganized, pants were not folded or in arranged in any appropriate sizing. It was so overcrowded it is almost understandable that it was in such disarray... but definitely not acceptable.

It is my hopes that the Woodland store will step up its commitment to the community and stock and arrange the store to meet customer needs. It wasn't too long ago that the air conditioning did not work and it took a VERY long time for that to be fixed (I realize that is the responsibility of the building owner) but I would think that since JCP is an anchor store they would be able to exercise enough clout to get it done in a timely manner. It was miserable for shoppers and unbearable for employees. Everyone had a fan at the checkout stands but the rest of the store was too warm to shop in let alone try on clothes. It is my hopes that JCP will step up the image and content of the store to meet the needs of community with limited shopping experiences.

Original review: July 28, 2018

So I get a gift card for Sephora, go to Sephora at my local mall, all to be told that I have to use the gift card at a JCPenney Sephora because that's where the gift card was purchased. So I guess JC Penney is getting a kickback for the Sephora products they sell. Okay. Great. After I finished being pissed off about that I then went to JCPenney's website. Ordered the exact same product that I wanted. It told me that I was eligible for free shipping due to the amount I spent. It told me my total, I entered my gift card information. Had an additional $5 and some change to pay out of pocket. Entered my debit card number. Submitted it and then it pops up and tells me that I need to pay $8.95 of shipping although it has a blue Banner running across that says I qualify for free shipping.

When I chat with some person online who I don't even know if they're even real or not they tell me that it's because it was not available to be shipped to my house for free but to the store. I said, "Great. I don't mind. I don't live far from the store." But it didn't give me the option to change it to ship to store. Long story short they're LIARS. I gave up and now I'm really pissed. I will never shop at JCPenney again and Sephora ought to be ashamed of themselves for not accepting the gift cards that are bought at JCPenney with their brand name on it. By the way the gift card was given to me for my birthday and if I would have had a gift card from Sephora that wasn't from JCPenney I could have got what I wanted plus a free birthday gift and three free sample gifts due to how much I ordered but that went down the drain because it was a JCPenney Sephora card. So now on to Sephora for a bad rating.

Original review: July 26, 2018

So I called the Hair Salon in Northridge, Ca, and asked for a haircut: 22$. I mentioned is for my daughter and she desires a bob: ”oh no, bob cut requires a blow dry.“ “Why? Is hot, 107 degrees... We hot want a summer cut“. “No you cannot have it without a blow dry“! How is this any mode of conducting business? Is only what they want not what they advertise. The salon supervisor was rude, muddy and with an attitude. She's supposed to represent the face of their business and with this attitude...

Don’t be fooled by “designer stylist“. I saw them: weird looking fellows with tattoos, face rings, wearing boots I cleaned (mud present). Is like an Adams Family in reverse (even The lady of the House, in the movie, was more polished and proper.) I’m saying people, very improper for a business of the “mall level“. To wrap it up, I asked about the coupon offered of 20 percent off: “No, a bob haircut won’t cover it!” How is that? Is a haircut nonetheless!!!! So see...

Original review: July 26, 2018

We bought it (microwave) from JCPenney and bought with it a full warranty that guarantees its replacement! In less than a year it went by all wrong, way too noisy, operates on its own, and peeps on its own. They refused to replace it, even though they replaced the whole door, the whole motor, and processor. It took over two months, and three work visits in our house, and still not done. Total waste of our time! I will never buy from JCPenney anything!

Original review: July 26, 2018

I'm giving up on ordering from JCPenney.com. I've ordered a three piece bedroom set only to be abandoned at the doorstep and deliver drivers run away twice. According to their gold credit card member rules it should have been delivered to room of choice, assembled, cleaned up and extra packaging taken away. They did none of that. Just made me sign the delivery paper and run. A few months later I ordered a few more things and each package got misdelivered even though the address on the package is clear and concise. I've declared them each missing and non existent. I'm giving up on JCPenney and after this last package gets sorted out closing down my credit card with them. Goodbye forever JCPenney. Your customer service has really gone downhill.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I went to JCPenney on 7/15/2018. Had a top to return with no receipt. The sale price of the top was $12.99. I always use my JCPenney charge card but they could not find the item. I advised the lady just give me a store credit since I always shop at Penney’s. She advised me the new policy was if you return without a receipt they take an addl 40% off and it would get a store credit for $5.23! That is insane - worse return policy I ever heard - Done with Penney’s.

Original review: July 14, 2018

We purchased a 4 piece bundle kitchen set. Everything but the Dishwasher was installed. Two times their installer came out and said they couldn't install it because they do not have LG parts and recommended getting a GE dishwasher because they have the parts. Customer service first gave us a bogus case number. Then told us they would call us in 48 hrs, which they didn't. Then they said we went beyond the 48 hrs limit when we called. They said they would not return the item (their brand new unboxed Dishwasher) then they said for us to get a plumber to install it. This has been going on for a month. I will not recommend JCPenney to anyone. No wonder they're going out of business. Their customer service Sucks. NEVER AGAIN will I buy an expensive item from them.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Purchased a cooktop and range hood with free installation. Units were just delivered today only to be told by a third party delivery team these items don't get installed. Called JCPenney's sales that confirmed they do not do installs on cooktops. Sales said take it up with the local store for any kind or comp or rectification. JCPenney is not ready to sell appliances.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Please don't buy appliances from JCPenney! We ordered a fridge, it was delayed, so we bought a mini fridge to keep our food cold. When fridge got here, it had a dent, took forever on the phone for the process. And then the ice water machine didn't work, the fridge is so loud it's struggle to stay alive. Again took forever to tell JCPenney that. They wouldn't do anything. They said we could talk after compensation AFTER we pay and delivered. And again took hours to talk to them. Worst customer service. They lied all the time to get the item to your house, then ignore you.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Bought a refrigerator. Was not able to put it in place as I was doing a kitchen remodel. This unit was a countertop depth refrigerator and unfortunately I have a wall to the left side of the refrigerator. Well it will not work. Went to the store to do an exchange and was told no. Only have 48 hours from the time of delivery to do an exchange. Was never told this. I have had the refrigerator in place for 3 days. Would not let me do an exchange. Now I am stuck with this unit that cost me 3000.00 and does not work in my opening. Went to the store. Talked to customer service. Was told if I pay a 15 percent restock fee they would let me exchange. Said, "That's great. Let's do it." As we were getting ready to write the new order was told they changed their minds that I had to keep the one I have. What kind of ** is that. Do not buy your appliances there. Customers don't matter to them. Will never do business with them again.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I bought a dryer from JCPenney, I went into the store to pick one out and take home. JCPenney has delivery only, my dryer was out and I only had to wait 5 days. The delivery men show up to hook up my dryer and shorted out my plugin which shut off the circuit breaker. The man rewired my electrical outlet. Turned on my dryer and it made this awful sound. They said it was defective and would have to bring me another one 8 days later. After the drivers left I immediately called JCPenney and canceled my order because I could not wait 8 more days.

I found out through my credit statement the account had not been canceled. I called again a week and a half later. Finally got my order canceled and they charged me 15% for restocking fee. In addition charged me for dryer vent (which they did leave here) and a dryer cord (which they took with them). So I was charged a $100.00 for nothing other than a $26.00 power cord. JCPenney should not be selling appliance or DO NOT BUY any appliance from them. It is a ripoff.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I ordered an item online which was to have a rebate. I completed the online rebate form, but the rebate never arrived. Months later, I contacted them, and they said that I had not submitted a copy of my receipt. It was an ONLINE submission. And when were they going to tell me this? What a scam.

Original review: June 26, 2018

They sold us a bad stove. Called and reported. Even we had a warranty on it, they did not do anything about it beside been rude and put us on holds. Stay away from these business, do your shopping at somewhere who value you as a customer.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I don't normally leave reviews, but after years of steering clear of JCPenney, I decided to give them a second chance and take advantage of their Bonus Bucks promo this past weekend. On the Friday the 15th, I ordered $178 worth of merchandise, and when my 'use the same day reward' didn't show up in my rewards I called to find out why. I was told that they would not hit my account until the order shipped and to check again on Monday. I kept an eye on it all week, and when the order finally shipped on the 20th I was told that it would have had to ship by Sunday the 17th to be eligible. They refused to acknowledge the misleading information I received from their representative, or to accommodate me in any way.

So now I will return all of my items and take my business elsewhere. Not only did they take five days to ship, they took away the promo that gave me incentive to place the order that day. The ad said that unlike other companies who make you wait for your bonus rewards, they allow you to spend them the same day, but read the fine print... If you order online then you had better hope your order ships in time or you get nothing at all, even though they took payment on the 15th. Most companies don't take payment until the order ships. This is a failed attempt to compete with Kohl's who never do their customers this way. It's no wonder they have bad reviews, and are on the brink of failing as a business. They missed the mark, and lost me as a customer, again.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Order a full king bed online, and I never got my mattress after a month and 1/2. They tell me that the order was cancel, but they can't tell me who cancel the order, and now I have to reorder everything all over again, which I ended up paying deliveries fees, recycling fees, etc. Worst online experience with a retailer, and I would not recommend JCPenney at all, for online purchases.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Bad experience at JCPenney, Ross Mall, Pittsburgh, PA - It’s very unfortunate that I’m being policed around the store for shopping here. A strange human was just following me all through the store. What’s wrong with their CCTV, and internal security systems? I had a very horrible and uncomfortable shopping experience here. I don’t like to do JCPenney from now on.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I am writing this complaint for my mother. She always has a credit card with this company. She sold her home and moved in with me four years ago. She has a great income and savings, that would make anyone blush! She went to use her card and noticed it had expired (much like that thought she did, as there was no activity for a few years). So, I contacted JCPenney, explained that she was indeed alive and kicking. They told me to do an online application (which I did) and they would contact us.

A few weeks went by and we get a letter saying we needed to phone them. We did, they spoke with my mom, she answered their questions. Again they said we would be getting a letter in a few weeks. Well, we got that letter today and she was denied. I phone and asked why...they would not tell me. Excuse me? I just did a credit check on her and her credit score is great! So, what's the problem? If they checked her Bank Accounts they would be happy to see her spend in their store. I'm sorry but they left me no choice than to report this.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I purchased a livingroom set last June. In addition to the horrible experience with delivery, I also am experiencing living with a poorly made sofa. The seat sagged within months, and the padding on the arms flattened. We are a family of 4, and sit equally on all seats, but this particular side on the sofa dented. I called JCPenney a month ago, and was told someone would get back to me with a date to come and add more stuffing to the arms and seat. I hadnt heard from anyone, so I decided to call back before the 1 year passed. This time I was informed it's not under the manufacturers warranty. At one time, JCPenney sold decent quality furniture. I will NEVER purchase furniture from them again, I'd go to a second hand store first! Shame on you JCPenney for not standing by your furniture. This particular set has been unavailable for quite some time...now I know why!

Original review: June 4, 2018

Excellent sales, great customer service and clean store too. Happy with the merchandise. Good displays very colorful. Styles of clothing. Very good selection of goods. Excellent styling salon. Great jewelry. They also have nice makeup and perfume counter as well.

Original review: June 2, 2018

At a staggering 26.99 interest rate this is one of the worse possible cards you could own. Unfortunately, I had one and they had my credit limit at $7300. I paid the entire balance off and I guess I missed a little bit of change or something because the next "statement" said that my payment was past due $39.77. That one late payment in the years of having JCP card brought my credit limit down from $7300 to $500. A total of $6800 which will totally mess up my available credit and will mess up my credit score. Thank you JCP. I will be posting this on every single review website I can find.

JCPenney expert review by ConsumerAffairs

JCPenny was founded in 1902 and now operates more than 1000 stores in the United States. The company launched its online store, jcp.com, in 1994. Consumers can find a large selection of items, including shoes, on the website.

• Store locations: Shoes bought online at jcp.com can be shipped to the store for free on orders of at least $25. Some items are available for pickup on the same day as purchase.

• Online exclusives: jcp.com sells many styles and sizes not available in the chain’s department stores.

• Sales: JCPenny has sales frequently, and those sales are valid on the company’s website. Consumers can take advantage of special prices and deals during these events.

• Selection: Consumers can find a variety of styles and sizes on jcp.com. Women’s sizes are available from 4 to 13.

• Returns: Customers can take returns to their local JCPenny store and return them for free. This option makes returns fast and convenient for busy individuals.

• Best for: jcp.com carries adults’ and children’s shoes and is best for bargain hunters and busy adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

JCPenney Company Information

www.jcpenney.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business