3.8/5 (699 ratings)

About JCPenney

JCPenney Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JCPenney?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I made an order and 3 of the 4 items were incorrect, and the order number was incorrect. I called to see if I could get it taken care of was told by the first supervisor my package wasn't delivered and I needed to wait a few days. I had the package in my hand, and she insisted I got someone else package. I had the packing slip, and the tracking number on the box and she told me I was wrong. I asked to speak to another supervisor and was told I had to return the wrong items to the store and get a refund and if the items I ordered weren't on sale still or were not in stock, I was out of luck. I explained I live with my disabled mom and was told I could pay $8.00 for a return label that I could have credited back... WHAT? It was their error. I have never been treated so poorly by a company and will not be shopping at Jc Penney anymore. :(

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

They use laser ship for delivery for online orders they have a 1 star on google didn’t think that was possible. Long story short they never delivered my package. When I called they told me to wait a few days which I did then called. They said I had to call the police and email them the report and they would call me in 5 business days. And after all that they said if it was longer than 14 days since the order date that they might not be able to do anything. WTF. First off if I called the police. I would call it on them for taking my money and not giving me what I paid for. Never seen a company want you to do their job when they don’t get you what you paid for. SMH. Go elsewhere. I have more important things to do the waste any more time on 65$ jeans. I just called my bank and said I didn’t make the purchase and they canceled the transaction 'cause It was pending. So boom problem solved.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Hi, I have purchased Samsonite laptop bag (1st Order#: **) online and after 1-2 days it says item is no longer available and it's auto cancelled. I called customer care and I was told to order again with full payment as the product is available (strange product was cancelled stating no stock but online store immediately shows it's available to order). I again placed order (2nd Order#**), after 2 days again product is auto cancelled, stating product is not available. 'What The Hell' is wrong with JCPenney. This is the worst experience with them. If the product is not available why the heck agent says to order again and why the heck online ordering allowing me to order, very much disappointed :( :( :( .

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

God awful customer service from the call center. I placed an order on 11/24/2021 and made sure my billing and shipping info was correct, in fact my account settings even list my current address. I however also had an old address from over 10 years ago on my account. That is where the order was sent to. Granted it was sent in 2 days, which was great. But there was no attempt from the customer service rep to assist me, she cold/blind transferred me to Rosalyn, a senior member rep, who disconnected the call when I replied "yes" when she asked if there was anything else that she can help me with. This was after a 50 minute call, half of which I was on hold without the rep checking back in on me. They would not offer to reship my order to my current address, and wanted me to track it down with ups as it was already delivered.

Additionally they said the order would be retrieved by UPS and then sent to the warehouse and I would be refunded in a week and a half to two weeks. I do the exact same job as Rosalyn does, but for a different company and there is no way we would have kept a customer on hold that long, nor would we have disconnected the call, and if it did disconnect we would attempt to call the member back, and in conclusion we would reship the order to the member. I am shocked and appalled that JC Penney would treat customers in such a manner and that their reps would be so poorly trained.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

I have been a customer of JC Penney for many years and was happy with them until I tried to order furniture. I have tried 3 times ordering a sofa and I'm given delivery dates then I get constant delays. As of today the 3rd sofa is again delayed. I am so frustrated with them doing this.. I also ordered a office desk and it came to me incomplete and damaged.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

I have shopped with JCP for years and never had an issue like this week. On this particular order Lasership was the shipping carrier. I knew it would take longer for delivery because they are horrible. I received JCP shipping confirmation and continued to check order tracking for days. It said waiting on package to arrive at facility. Then yesterday after long 2 hours Lasership says Exception Package damaged and I have to contact the seller. So I called JCP and was told that Lasership had to return package to their warehouse for refund.

I asked, "How will I know when it’s delivered to JCP warehouse?" And she says to call them in 10 days to check. Keep in mind this is my boys' Christmas clothes that I ordered on Nov 14. Thinking it was early enough that I would receive package before Christmas. So I asked could they replace my items if still in stock.. Customer service rep said yes if I pay for order again. Supervisor I was transferred to was horrible and had bad attitude when she answered the phone. Just an awful experience. I thought Lasership was awful! Most companies would see the problem and take care of it and resend my items not tell me I have to pay twice! Beware when ordering online with JCP when package ships Lasership. JCP has horrible customer service!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

The shipping company that this store (later) uses is horrible. They state my purchase was delivered when it was not. I am home all day everyday so there is no chance of It being stolen etc. JCPenney would not assist me. Lazer says “nothing we can do, it was delivered“. There are hundreds of other complaints from customers claiming the same problem. Can not get reimbursed for a purchase that never came.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

My dad and mom and I went to JCPenney's in December and my dad bought my mom a ring for Christmas and paid for the protection plan. The lady at the desk I said, "Come back after the first of the year to have it sized" so we took it home, put it in a vault and then my dad died in May so me and my mom took the ring back up to JCPenney's to be sized and gave it to a lady at the desk and ask, "Is there anything else we need?" She said no so we went on shopping. We waited and waited and I told my mom, "You need to call JCPenney's in check on your ring to see if it is in." They said, "There's a problem. You need to come in" so we did.

They lost the ring and the store manager Amy at the Northwest Arkansas Mall in Fayetteville does not tell the truth is brood. We called corporate. They did not tell the truth. They opened up a case. A day later they closed it without letting us know. We called them again. They opened up another case. 5 to 7 days later they closed it again and said there's nothing else they can do. So you got your paperwork where you bought the ring and your warranty papers. They will not do anything. They will not take care of the situation. That's why JCPenney's are closing everywhere is because they don't take care of their customers. They don't do the right thing. I hope this does not happen to you. Do not buy jewelry from JCPenney's. They might lose it and they will not take care and the mistake they did.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Ordered a sheet set in 2 parts, JCP shipping the basic sheet set, and cancelled the matching king size pillowcases. JCP refuses to waive an $8 shipping fee for the no-longer useful sheet set that will come without the matching pillowcases. As a result I will be refusing a $200 order that included a half dozen items. There is no way I will waste 90 minutes driving to the local store to return just a sheet set, the gasoline will cost more than the shipping. Since JCP won't correct its own screwup, I will make the correction by never shopping JCP for anything again. Worst customer service ever. James Cash Penney must be rolling over in his grave at what became of his once great store.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I placed an order on June 27, 2021 with an expected delivery date of July 28, 2021. I called on July 26, since I did not receive a call in regards to delivery time. I was told by the representative that my item would not be shipped until September with no exact delivery date or time frame. Basically, if I did not call I would not have received an update about my order. I have received conflicting delivery dates. It is 3 months later and I have not received my order. Very dissatisfied with the lack of communication and update on my order.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

JCPenney's customer service is awful. Their products are great, but so are other stores. I purchased a sports team item online and was unable to type in the coupon to get a discount, so I emailed customer service. Whoever answered my email was very unhelpful, robotic, and almost condescending. This is not the first time that I've had issues with their customer service and I've honestly had it with the company. I don't have to shop here and I won't from now on. I give them a zero for customer service. It might as well have been an automated machine on the other end. That employee should not be working in a customer service position. Very disappointed. I didn't get the discount from my coupon and I really don't care because I was on the fence already and that employee's response just confirmed to me that JCPenney has lost its magic.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Let me say first of all I have been shopping at JC Penneys for years and most of of the time I am pleased with my purchases. Most of my online and in person shopping is at JC Penneys. I just receive my order of these sheet, I opened them and the smell was overwhelming. They smell like someone has gotten sick and thrown up on them. I have them in the wash and hoping this smell will wash out. Also I'm hoping they will be as comfortable as they are supposed to be.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I need to cancel my order because it hasn't been processed and I need it by a certain date. I tried to cancel but the representatives told me I have to cancel within 30 minutes after purchasing my order. I was unaware of this policy and they won't cancel my order.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Ordered my kids some back to school outfits on a Sunday. Received an email Tuesday stating half my order couldn't be fulfilled due to it not being available (even though the website stated they were in stock). I called the 1800 number in attempt to cancel the entire order after spending well over $100. I figured since they couldn't fulfill the entire order I'd just get a refund and go to a local store to find it. WRONG.

Lady on the phone stated that I would have had to cancel the order within 30 minutes of placing it for them to be able to do it. Ok...well I didn't know you guys couldn't fufill half my order until 3 days after placing it. On top of that the order hasn't been shipped or even processed yet. So now they've got $100+ refunded half my money because they couldn't fufill it (which god knows how long it'll take 'til I see that refund) and now I'm forced to take the order I don't want anymore. I asked the lady why I only have 30 minutes to cancel my order yet they don't have to inform me for 3 days after the order that half of it can't be fulfilled. Won't be ordering from here ever again period.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Ordered curtain panels on June 11; Received an email on June 15 indicating shipped but as of June 29 the tracking number indicates the package has not arrived at the UPS station. Called to cancel the order and was told I had to wait 12 business days. Called back on the 12th business day and was told I had to wait until the end of the business day to cancel (meaning I would have to spend my time making a THIRD call). The Customer Service agent kept interrupting me and finally hung up on me. I called JC Penney Headquarters and received assistance there. But I will never do business with JC Penney again. No local service whatsoever. No wonder these department stores have driven themselves out of business.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Ordered a mattress in store on 5/16 and was told it would be delivered 6/9. Got an email on 5/27 that it had shipped and I would be contacted to schedule a delivery time within 7 days. After the 7 days had passed I still hadn’t been contacted so I called them and was told it was lost and they’d have to do a “doc search” and would let me know something within 3-4 business days. Finally after 2 weeks of not hearing anything, I called them again and the customer service rep was just saying whatever he could to try to get me to hang up and it was very obvious he wasn’t listening to what I was saying at all. Finally after giving me the runaround I was told the first doc search was never filled out so they would send another and it would be another 2 days before I’d hear anything.

Their policy is that you can’t cancel unless it’s within 48 hours of ordering and if you send it back it is a 15% restocking fee so trying to cancel the order wouldn’t do any good. Then after all this, the customer service rep simply told me he was sorry I felt that way and then had the audacity to ask me to rate him 5 stars on a customer survey. I will never order from them again.

Original review: May 19, 2021

I have always been able to find designer clothes at a reasonable price (and in petite sizes that fit me best) at JC Penney. They offer in-store and online sales almost daily making my purchases even less costly. They also have curbside pickup for online purchases, or your items can be sent directly to your address. JC Penney has seldom ever let me down.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I went into JC Penney in Boise Idaho at the Mall to buy a pair of shoes. I picked out two pair and went to pay for them at the register. The young lady at the Register said that if I had a JC Penney Card, I could save several Dollars on my purchase. So I filled out the questions and she handed me a folder with my receipt as well as the information on the card. She also said that the card offered a nice discount if used that day, so I went and found a suit and also when leaving the store saw three shirts that I also purchased. A few weeks went by and I received a notice in the mail that all my purchases were charged on the card. When I looked at my receipt in the folder the lady gave me it showed that all purchases that day were charged to the card ????, I contacted the manager for that department and told him what had transpired and he said he would check and have the store Manager call me with the results of his inquiry.

Several days went by and so I went to the store and asked for the Store Manager and when he came, I related the whole experience to him. He said he would view the Security Camera footage and let me know what was recorded. When he called me back he stated that the camera was off just enough to miss me handing the cashier any funds and if I did, then she most likely returned the funds before ringing up the sale. In fact what was stated to me at the time was that the reason for scanning the card information was to get the Discount that day. I really think that there was a problem with the payment procedure.

As I looked at my wallet to see if in fact the lady had returned the money to me and as I had thought, the money was not there. The store Manager even though seemed sincere and apparently tried to do what he could, said that I may have dropped the returned funds in the store or misplaced it somehow. He even suggested that my wife may have Known where the money went???. I told him that unfortunately the store had lost a good customer who had spent literally thousands of dollars in JC Penney in my lifetime (82 years) and that I would never enter a JC Penney store ever again and would just let all the stress from the experience go as I could not handle the difficulty it caused me.

I told him it was only $300 dollars and not the money, but the principle that concerned me. I learned a $300 dollar lesson from the encounter, which is to never leave a cashier without looking at your receipt. I paid off the credit card and am left with the knowledge that two pair of shoes, a suit and three shirts cost me $606.22 with the original funds and the cost to pay off the credit card. Now I have to cancel the credit card as I will never use it. All this frustration because I wanted to save some money by getting a credit card that offered a discount. By the way I have several close friends who work at that store and they all say that they have never heard of this sort of thing happening at their store. Very frustrating to be sure.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Ordered kitchenware online on 6 March 2021. Received notice on 8 March that it had shipped. Called customer service on 18 March and was told it would arrive by 22 March. Called back on 23 March and they admitted the order had never shipped, would I like to reorder? There's an account I'll be closing; JC Penney isn't what it used to be.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I purchased 2 mattress from JCP. They’re just about a year old and one of the mattresses is starting to have a huge dent in it. I called customer service and they will refund me my money but I have to pay $130 for a pick up and restocking fee. In reality I’m not getting my entire refund back if I have to pay $130. I was sold a junk of a mattress and I was never informed in detail about these hidden charges, should something go wrong with the mattress. The mattress and is under warranty, but as a customer I’m required to pay for them to get the mattress back. As a loyal customer for several years I have to say you just lost a customer.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I Do not recommend JC Penney for anything. I have been a long time cc holder, and ordered an expensive pair of earrings for Christmas which I never received, filed a dispute, they are charging me anyway...for something I never received.???

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

On 12/10/2020 I ordered 2 XL Twin size Sealy Mattress as my husband is really sick with Pancreatic Cancer I purchased an adjustable bed for him I was told that my order would be delayed. I waited a Another week and contacted them again for a status and I got from them. I was told that they were on backorder so I asked them why they were selling Mattress they did not have. And I had to wait I then waited another week and got a Email saying that they should arrive to the carrier within 3 to 5 business days. When I got them the Mattress were frayed and had holes in The Mattress, And that I paid over 1300.00 for Mattress that were damaged. They want me to pay a 15% restocking fee as well as a 85.00 pick up fee. They are damaged and I have to pay them to fix The problem Really.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

Customer service is non-existent. Horrible service. I will never shop with them again. I placed an order, realized that I had not changed my address so called within an hour. I was told they could not change my address. My package is being delivered in NC tomorrow and I am in OK. I asked to cancel the order and refund me, they refused because I did not call them within 30 minutes of my order. It did not leave their facility for 2 days! DONE.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I’m not one to turn people away from businesses, as I know people need to have their own experiences and make their own opinions. However, I STRONGLY advise literally any and everyone to stay away from JCPenney in the Ocean County Mall. My husband purchased my wedding set in 2017 and it has been issue after issue with them ever since. Not only are ALL of the jewelry associates inconceivably rude and unhelpful, but I have been calling customer service over and over, asking to be transferred to managers and supervisors for two hours now and my issue is STILL not resolved.

Once I get my rings back (IF EVER) after not having them for over a month, I will be taking them elsewhere to be serviced even after my husband paid extra for the lifetime warranty, because at this point, I would literally spend any amount of money to never be treated like this again. Do yourself a favor and don’t bother buying anything of value from this store. You will 1000% regret it.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

My experience is with a mattress purchase (well 2 after 1 was warranty replacement) and not one portion of my experience was simple, or done as promised. The delivery companies they source out didn't set up as promised, didn't take away as promised, and honestly seemed clueless as to what I was told major communication issues. Both times the mattresses were in protective plastic however after they were dragged down the driveway in the winter they had mud all over them. I've had so many 'cases' created and no ultimate resolution. The quality of the product, service and every aspect of the buying experience was nothing short of a nightmare. If I didn't hope they'll refund me eventually I wouldn't have purchased a second mattress but I was told it was a warranty replacement. Due to this experience I would no sooner purchase a towel from this company ever again. Total disappointment for such a huge corporation.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Dear team, Subject: Order has been incorrectly shipped. I have received items which I have never ordered. The customer service escalation has not been very supportive or customer friendly. I was asked to return the incorrect package with a return label in spite of my request / against my will to commute due to COVID risk. I am also told that most of the customers lie about package delivery hence there is no proof which is a serious accusation. This makes JCP management look into customer service division and shipment division for the improvements. This experience has caused me tremendous hassle over all, delay in my scheduled travel plans. Please respond to refund my money which was not serviced. If no response received this issue has to be escalated further up the JCP senior management team to avoid further problems to other customers like me who is a rewards member for 3.5 years. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

This e-mail is in regard to my recent order. After several calls to customer service, I contacted the sheriff's department and filed a police report, for the package I did not receive. I also contacted the post office and inquired as to the location of my package. At this point, I should expect a full refund of the purchase price of the items I ordered.

On a side note, I have NEVER received such poor customer service. I was literally warned in my delivery notification: "CAN'T FIND YOUR ORDER? This happens sometimes. The first thing to do is to check the bushes, front and back porches, and other possible delivery spots such as with your neighbors. Carriers also occasionally mark packages “Delivered” before they’re dropped off. Please contact the carrier if it’s been more than two hours since you got a delivery notification. More Questions?"

This notice should have been my first clue as to what I should expect. I waited the “up to three days” for my package to arrive, checked my mailbox, the neighbors houses, and “the bushes”. Today, five full days since my package was supposed to have arrived I contacted JCPenney “customer service”. I was informed the package was delivered and I would need to file a police report in order for JCPenney to investigate the claim before any possible refund of my money, because my order was in excess of $100.00; apparently if I hadn’t spent so much money at JCPenney I could have gotten some satisfaction (I won’t make that mistake again).

I contacted my local post office, filed a police report, and have spent the morning kicking myself for ever ordering from JCPenney. JCPenney held no accountability regarding the delivery; shouldn’t the merchant contact their delivery service to find out where the package ended up? When did the customer become responsible for the poor delivery service of a vendor?

So, here I sit, nothing to give my children for Christmas, being billed for items I never received, spending my entire morning dealing with customer service, the US postal service, and the Sheriff’s office. I know my pitiful little order does not mean a thing to JCPenney, they are a big company, but I promise you I will never order from JCPenney again. AMAZON and Ebay should be paying them for the excellent advertising, Shame on me.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I called customer service to let them know the piece of furniture was damaged. They are having UPS pick up the item and will issue a refund when it’s received (fine), but I have to place a new order for my item. Why can’t they ship out a new piece of furniture if UPS is picking up the damaged one in a day or 2? It’s going to take the warehouse a day or 2 to prepare the new box anyway.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I ordered a few clothing pieces on Black Friday but received a small appliance instead. JCP won’t process a credit without the items they sent me in error being returned to the store - in a pandemic (or waiting up to 6 weeks for a credit if I return those items by mail). They also won’t Re-order the correct items without billing me even though they already have my money. Those are my options. Poor customer service. I won’t shop there again.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I accidentally scheduled for JCPenney Portraits studio at P495 Westfarms Mall instead of the P418 Trumbull location. This error caused my family much frustration and confusion but we decided to drive from our home to the Hartford area which is approximately 45 minutes drive. Due to distance learning and other issues we cancelled our 2pm appointment and rescheduled for 5pm.

We really eager, excited and wanted to get our photos done and didn't mind the trip as my parents, grandparents, cousins and extended family always used JCPenney photo studies since I was a child. We arrived at 5:05pm and met ** the assistant manager of the site, she made us feel welcomed and even opted to take photos of our three children individually with the family package deal we opted for. Our children are age 6,4, and 1. We were informed to use the family dressing room, picked out a background and told that after we changed we would be photographed.

At 5:10pm after getting dressed we were then immediately told that we cannot take the photos, our session was cancelled because "you took too long and because of COVID-19 I don't have time". I explained to ** that we traveled 45 min with three children, battled through traffic, still arrived on time and I wouldn't mind if she would have informed me of this before heading to the dressing room. She became irate, irritable and frustrated, ** was condescending rude and belligerent stating "I am the assistant manager and this is my decision so you have to rebook that's all you can do I have other customers and it will be 5:30 your session is over".

I continued to explain to her that we would even consider waiting until the last customer to do our shoot even if she would take our one year olds pictures as his birthday was April 11, 2019 and due to COVID-19 we had to wait until this time. To say the least I was in tears, extremely emotional and very surprised as to why she did not forewarn us about this issue before getting dressed. In my sorrow I asked to speak with the store supervisor (**) who was rude, also agitated and frustrated as I was explaining the situation. She proceeded to speak with ** in Spanish for two minutes then proceeded to explain the photo policies and how there was nothing she could do for us and "this is the rule you cannot get it done". As I proceeded to explain to her about our 45 minute drive, lack of communication she immediately silenced my request by staying "policy is policy and there is nothing I can do".

I am a 35 year old, nurse, mother and biggest customer of JCPenney and JCPenney studios. I am appalled by the lack of respect for customers and professionalism. The actions of the team was distasteful and classless for a company I held in high regard. I honestly need answers even emailed corporate about this. I honestly do not believe that this was the first time anything like this has happened and Jelisa's comfortability and ego driven approach has gone unreported for far too long. ** the manager lack of enthusiasm for her job and frustrations was displaced on me (the customer). To have this occur in front of our children was very tasteless and repulsive.

JCPenney Company Information