2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.9/5 (534 ratings)

About Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Tree?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Tree?

Original review: July 13, 2021

I shop Dollar Tree often, there is a store just around the corner from my office, so I'm probably in there at least 2 or 3 times a week, I often purchase items for my lunch there! I recently made an online purchase for the first time. Yesterday I received an e-mail informing me my order had arrived. It was shipped to the store on the other side of town (300 Sam Walton Drive). "Not too far away, probably just 4 or 5 miles". Kat was the lady's name who helped me, and I have to say she was super nice and helpful! She went over and above to make sure my order was correct and undamaged! You just don't see many retail employees these days with that kind of work ethic, (I hope you appreciate her and treat her well, it's employees like that that make a business successful.) So even though this store is on the other side of town and a little out of my way I will definitely visit it more often. Keep up the good work Kat!!! Jonathan ** Somerset KY.

Original review: April 23, 2021

This store number 5289 is so well organized and clean compared to some of the other stores. Their selections are always great and of course there are their prices. I love Dollar Tree. The help is also always very professional.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I made a mistake on the keypad at checkout. The cashier called the manager (I could be his grandma) for help. He told me he couldn’t change anything and he ripped off the sales slip and shoved it in my hand. I asked for help and not only did not get help, I was treated rudely. Getting old is no fun but to be treated as yesterday’s trash is worse.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I usually like Dollar Tree stores but today the store I visited was very understaffed and many shelves were empty. I was looking for packs of balloons and was told by the cashier they were in the birthday/party area. I looked everywhere and there were none to be found. When I was checking out I stood in line behind a customer checking out ahead of me. She was having issues with something and the cashier called for assistance. When the manager, Amy came up to help I asked her if she was going to open up another register because there were 3 or 4 people standing behind the lady having issues. She said she was taking care of the trash but would be up in a few minutes. When I was checking out I counted 8 customers standing in line behind me and Amy didn’t appear. You could tell people were frustrated.

When I was loading up my car another customer and I chatted about the poor service. She mentioned they couldn’t get people to work and had actually closed the store a couple of times. She said Dollar Tree only pays minimum wage but makes a fortune. They had one cashier working and the poor girl was swamped. There was no one in the store helping customers like me who couldn’t find balloons and the manager was obviously in the back. Why can’t major retail stores like these pay a decent wage and serve their customers better?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Upon approaching counter with a full basket of merchandise, the cashier rudely demanded "empty your basket". When she barked this "command", I responded in same. The manager came out after hearing my response to the rude cashier and immediately defended her and asking me to leave. The manager also called the local police. What happened to the concept of service, and customer is a customer? It sure was not at this store located on Eastchester Drive in High Point, NC. I have been in retail sales for many years, and if this happened in my store, I would dismiss that employee in a heart beat. I will tell friends and associates to stay clear of this business.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I was waiting in line for a while, more than five minutes, waiting to check out. There was one employee just standing in the corner by the balloons, and the manager was in her office. I had been at this store before and they used to have a bell to ring for service. I looked around, but didn’t see the bell. Eventually the cashier shows up, she had been helping someone shop, and she shoves my basket aside (spilling the contents) and tells me “He is going first”, no explanations, just informed me that someone else is getting checked out before me. When it was my turn to check out, I told her that it was really rude to do shove my things aside like she did. She told me she was helping the guy she checked out before me, so he got to go first. I said “I was waiting in line to check out. That’s not fair, he was still shopping. I waited just like any other customer who was finished shopping.”

The manager came out to ask what was going on. I told her, and mentioned that the store had a bell you could ring for help, but didn’t see it. She proceeds to tell me “It’s against company policy to have as bell.” That’s all she focused on. I have been at this store several times over the years and this is the first time I had not seen the bell she was so concerned about. The manager did not care about anything that I had to say and rolled her eyes the entire time I was talking. As I was leaving, she made sure to tell me to have a nice day in the most sarcastic, snarky tone she could muster. It felt like the entire time I was speaking with the manager she was purposely trying to escalate the situation, that she was trying to make me more upset.

Original review: July 25, 2021

Honesty is always the best policy first and foremost. I placed an order and paid for it. I was given an extended time to pick up my order. When I got to the store I found that my order could not be located for whatever reason. Store clerks tried but to look for order but could not locate. The manager could not tell me if order had arrived despite the order confirmation said it had arrived. In future orders if you get any, make sure people receive what they paid for or provide a prompt refund period immediately. The 800 customer service number does not work on the weekend. VERY DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I was searching the internet to make a review for the Dollar Tree Stores. I'm very glad to be able to give a review to this company. In less than 6 months this company charge me twice in less than a minute. I have instant access to my account and a dispute has been filled again this company by my bank. Apparently their system recognize my transition due to the previous incident. And system provides and generated a Reversal Credit. That don't show up in the receive. Never use debit or credit cards to pay at this Stores.

Original review: April 9, 2021

On April 8, 2021 Thursday I, Christopher ** went The Dollar Tree located on 3030 11th St. Rockford, Illinois 61109. To purchase hot dog buns and other supplies for a BBQ at my job. But while eating and readying the hot dogs and other BBQ supplies. I had noticed the two packs of hot dogs I had purchased from The Dollar Tree. WERE MOLDED (actually while me and another co-worker were eating them).

What compensation is The Dollar Tree Incorporated going to offer for this? BECAUSE I WAS EMBARRASSED! AND THAT'S SICKENING. ON TOP BEING A HEALTH HAZARD (who wants to eat moldy bread). Also; the staff that The Tree employs is rude. So I do not wish to travel back to the store with this issue. When I could go directly to the media and your corporate offices.

Attached is proof of purchase. And pictures of the moldy hot buns The Dollar Tree sold me. Be Advised: This is common in your stores (selling moldy bread). And to prove this; I'll be going to another Dollar Tree location in Rockford Illinois and taking pictures of their moldy hot dog buns as well. Thank you for your help and time. And have a wonderful day.

Sincerely: Christopher **

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

It was 8:55pm when I entered Dollar Tree, store #6193 (Hillsborough nj) on 2/22/21. I needed just a few things, one being a simple piece of felt, which I'm certain I've seen there before. I quickly grabbed the other items I needed between 2 aisles that were next to each other. I overheard a woman who I assumed was a customer, by the way she was swearing throughout her conversation (with who she was having the conversation with, I have no idea. Once I saw the older woman the first time she yelled at me about being closed, I realized it was HER voice that I heard, with all the swearing.) and tried asking the younger of the 2 women, if she could help me find the felt.

The older woman heard me, and completely talked right over the younger one, yelling "WE ARE CLOSED" at me, 3 times in a row! So I said, "mam I understand that, and I'm ready to checkout, I just need to know if you even sell felt". She stopped making eye contact with me even, and DEFINITELY was not going to answer my question no matter HOW MANY TIMES I ASKED.

So she's ringing my items up, and I was being as calm as I could at that point, when I asked "do you THINK YOU COULD JUST TELL ME IF YOU SELL FELT, SO I KNOW IF I SHOULD COME BACK IN THE MORNING?" Nope. No response. It was as if I wasn't there, or as if she didn't hear me OR see me. Talk about passive aggressive behavior! I worked in customer service for 5 years, and It didn't matter HOW annoyed I got at a customer, they would've never been able to tell. It didn't matter HOW BAD of a day I might've been having, as far as my coworkers and customers were concerned, It was a delightful day!

I don't know what is happening in this world, but people don't seem to value the work they do anymore, WHATSOEVER. I'm 37 and that older cashier at dollar tree had to be appx 55+? If I know better, then she most certainly should too! I asked the woman for her name, to which I was met with no response, and yet again, not even eye contact. I started getting louder every time I asked and let her know I wasn't leaving the store, until I got her name. She mumbled it to me and I have no clue what she said, but I knew it would be on my receipt. (which I don't normally need, so I typically choose to not print it, but this time I knew I was going to need the info from it.)

The cashiers name is Talat, and because of how unbelievably rude she was to me, I will no longer shop at that dollar tree location. I am an extremely understanding and empathetic person, but there was literally NOTHING that warranted the attitude I received from her, all because I had a question and it was 9:01pm.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

We went to the Dollar Tree on Military Trl in West Palm Beach, what a mess, the line was long, one cashier, other employees just walking around doing nothing, the manager here does not care. He would not open other cashier lanes, made us all wait so long. This store is a mess. The items are cheap and of bad quality. Almost all Dollar Trees are bad. On BBB they have a very bad review and a D+ BBB rating, it makes sense. It is almost impossible to find a good Dollar Tree in the USA, the service is horrible, the lines are long, the stores are trashed, and employees and management do not care. A real mess! Not fun to go to if you want peace.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

After I left Walgreens, there was a fat dude (heavyweight) standing at the corner of the mall right as one exits the store and turns right. He stood with his foot on the column blocking the sidewalk. There was just barely enough room to walk past him. To avoid the energy that was entering me I walked into the driveway of the parking lot. Not at all thinking, I was thinking that could have been a hazard. Glad there were no vehicles. Then, I saw a young ** person walking the sidewalk. He started at the same place I did before I walked through the parking lot. I noticed his timing as soon as I was 250 ft away from the Dollar Tree door. It was irritating immediately. I spit and slowed so that he could go into the store out of my way.

Soon as I get in, he was there and it was like he was following me. I went to the back of the store, he was there. I tried to avoid him, I went down another aisle, he was there. I backed up and went a different way. Of course, as I went to what I thought was the end of the line, I could see him contemplating what to do next in the back of the store. The dollar tree is normally an easy shop. I go in, I know what I want. I grab what I want and no matter what I buy or how long the lines, they get me out of the store immediately. Today it was approaching 4 PM. There was 1 person ringing at aisle 2. I pulled out my camera and started recording. My first thought was an angry one. Moron. It wasn't loud, I was just recording. I looked around at the amount of people that were there.

There were about 30-40 customers waiting in line. I called out, "any other people here today?" The person in aisle 2 says, "I'm the only person the others called in sick." A few minutes go by, he calls for assistance. I woman goes to aisle 4 or 5 about 2 minutes after the call. There were two other people in the store at the time the line was ill. They had to either be on break, just signing in or something. I'd never seen them before. One just kept walking around like there was no need for assistance. The other came just a few minutes after 4 and signed in to open a 3rd line.

Now the line was moving. I stayed in line 2. Of course, it was disorganized. Although the social distancing signs are on the floor people were fluently standing in an aisle blocking others from shopping there. I damn near got into it with two females about the line, waiting for #2. Then wouldn't you know it? ... The guy that I was irritated by, was standing right behind me. He didn't get in another line, he stays right behind me. At this point, I wanted to start arguing with him, but, I don't.

Now, it's my turn at the register. He rings at regular speed. Then, he starts ringing the same item twice and grabbing the second same item, and placing it in the bag without ringing it. I paid for the food with EBT, it went through. Then tried to use the EBT cash there was a problem. I used the other card and it went through. #2 asks me if I want my receipt. I said yes. He pulls my EBT balance, looks at it, and aloud says, "you have a large amount on here, not sure why it didn't work." I asked him does he normally looks at people's balance and read it allowed? I tell him, I wouldn't do it again. He says is that a threat. I said do you have a name. He says, Dan. Then, Dan starts telling me I can go ahead and grab my receipt... All in all, it was the most angering experience I've ever had in the Dollar Tree. I hope for better employees.

Dollar Tree Company Information