1.47/5
  • 1 star
Based on 69 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 6, 2017

285 Dollar Tree Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

The new cashier on the south side of Paducah is rude. Literally a kid in front of me was making a return, she didn’t y’all to him at all. He even said, "Thank you." Her nothing. Then my turn comes. Again she says nothing other than the total. She sees I have an EBT card. She’s puts it in then starts writing something down. So at this point I’m waiting on her so I say, "How much is the total hun?" She repeats the first total before the EBT card so not only is she rude but she is also wrong so I say, “After the card?” She hits the button. Says the total. I give her the money. My change is two pennies. Instead of giving me my change and receipt she says, "Do you want your two pennies." I just walked off. Wonder why she didn’t offer me my receipt. Oh yeah probably because I would do what I’m doing now. Complain on her! She’s about 25-30 ish brown hair long ponytail. It’s Christmas time. Do your job. If you can’t handle working with the public then don’t!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I took my 93 yr old Mom to Dollar Tree in Phoenix at 57th Ave and Bell Rd. She is in a wheelchair, and needed to use the restroom. The manager told us the restroom was not available to the public! Even after explaining the urgency of the matter, management would NOT ALLOW HER TO USE THEIR RESTROOM! We tried to hurry to the store next door, but unfortunately didn’t quite make it! My poor mom was totally embarrassed and I was devastated for her. Just an unacceptable, while avoidable, experience!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

They need to provide bathrooms for customers. I will never take my 72 year old mother to another Dollar Tree until they provide bathrooms... I am sure there is more elderly folks who feel the same way.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My first online order was successful (though over a year ago). I'd received email updates on status, delivery, etc. This second time around, not so much. I ordered my products on Oct. 28, and there was no followup from Dollar Tree. Called CS about the matter, wondering where the heck my shipment was, as it was now Nov. 15, THREE WEEKS LATER, and she dialled on her end, for about 30 minutes, before telling me the shipment was supposedly sent to my local store, but 'could not be confirmed'. What total B.S. She then promised me someone would follow up with me 'within 24 yrs'.

That was a Monday morning. Well, Tuesday evening, no followup call. Of course. Called CS back, only to get a total runaround that their service end is busy, and to please be patient as they... blah blah blah. Whatever. Do not do online business with these clowns. You will not receive your order, much less on-time. It does NOT take 3-4 weeks for any shipment to your local store. You've been warned.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Placed an order over the phone because their site was not working. Provided a billing and a shipping address and paid $20 to have 2 heavy boxes shipped to the shipping address. The rep ended up using my billing address as my shipping address. I caught it while reviewing my order online later that day and called back several times to correct it. Their reps were too busy to fix it, kept putting me on hold and escalating my call. Assured me that they would not ship it out without correcting the address. This went on for 3 days (I spent a total of 4 hours on calls with them trying to correct the situation) and they ended up shipping out the package to the wrong address anyway.

Another rep promised that once corporate opens on Monday, they would process a refund since it is clearly not my fault they shipped it to the wrong place. Well, corporate was extremely rude and requested that I find someone to go to the location where they dropped off those boxes to pick them up and bring them back to the store for refund, even though I explained the whole situation to them. Going to have to call my credit card to dispute the charges since Dollar Tree Customer Service clearly does not care about serving their customers. Never buying anything from them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Tree?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I have been shopping at the Dollar Tree in Marshall Michigan for years and have had no issues. There has always been friendly employees working there. The man with the accent named Nigel has always been a favorite person to see there-so nice to everyone no matter how busy they were there. Now he is gone...what happened to him? He was always so kind and took time to help anyone that needed help, and just made it so nice to know he was there to help customers like me. The store has always been clean, organized and has had full shelves. It is not the same store that it once was, Did new owners buy it? For the past few weeks, I have been going in and the shelves are no longer full-they are empty or near empty. I hope Nigel is on a short vacation, because he hasn't been there and it is definitely not the same atmosphere or same organized store look as it once was, I am a very disappointed customer.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I am blown away by the negative reviews I've read about Dollar Tree. I am a loyal customer there and am always astounded by the variety and quality of goods they are able to sell for ONE DOLLAR!! I have found treasures there - everything from affordable items to put into my kid's birthday party favor bags to craft ideas to make end of year teacher gifts. For a whole assortment of items - they simply can't be beat. They have super affordable greeting cards, gift wrap, school supplies, candles, glassware... There's just not enough I can really say about how often I shop there and how often I'm thrilled with their quality and price!

We have two local Dollar Tree stores in my area, and in each case - I am always greeted cheerfully, they go out of their way to help me find something I need, give advise on tips and helps available through the website. I just can't imagine why these other people have had such sour experiences. Honestly, we all know the old adage - to get respect - you give respect. I'm wondering if they wander into the Dollar Tree all filled with a belly full of ticked off at the world and see everything through a lens of "the world sucks" and then they're surprised when the experience feels sour.

Specifically, I love that I can wander into Dollar Tree with no clear idea of what I'm wanting and come out with some delightful creative solution. At the end of the month when the budget is totally wiped out, Dollar Tree is my savior - where I can buy just two rolls of toilet paper to get us by until our new budget day. I made beautiful containers for my kids' teachers using jars, hot glue and those glass gems they sell. Each teacher gift looked to be at least a $10-15 gift. Through the magic of Dollar Tree, they cost $2.00 each. They were super impressive!!

I also love strolling through the store around holidays to check out their new holiday decorations and such. And as for the treats, the kettle corn popcorn is totally the bomb. It's the only kind I've found that is 100% diabetic okay. Every store has its downside and limitations, but if you ask me - Dollar Tree provides an amazing affordable service to the average consumer and fills a niche in a lot of neighborhoods making it a huge blessing to most of us.

If you're looking for the whole and downside in anything, you will most assuredly find it. For all of those out there wanting to poke a hole in the Dollar Tree operation, where else would I find granny glasses (old age magnifying glasses), a box of microwave kettle corn popcorn with three packages, toilet cleaner, a big bag of chips and a 2 liter bottle of soda -- and get all of that for a five dollar bill? Answer - Nowhere!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I love this store so much it helps my family so much. I am in there so much I knew the store manager by name. She is the sweetest lady. She was always working hard to make sure the shelves were stocked. Since she took over the store it looked better than it had ever looked and the freezer was always full. The store was always clean and neat and very inviting to shop in.

The past month the store has really went downhill. I was wondering what was going on and I had not seen Amanda. So I ask one of the cashier and I was sadden to learn that Amanda was pushed out of the company over things that was not her fault. I hate to hear this because I have seen a lot of retail stores in my lifetime and even worked in a few and I would have to say she probably ran one of the best stores I have ever seen and also one of the nicest and cleanest looking managers for Dollar Tree. I will not shop in this store anymore. I will take my business to Fred's or Dollar General down the road. The location will lose a lot of business due to the store not being stocked and not being clean.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Bad customer service. I was in the line. After I was ready to pay the cashier told me it was close and she have her open light on that. I have to go to another line. I left the car there and walk out the store. And they don’t even care. I’m never going to that place again. The tastier is on 9055 Biscayne Blvd, Miami Shores Florida 33138 (don’t go to this place).

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Shopping in the the Dollar Tree for my soon to be 2 year old birthday party. Walking in the store I could see the store clerk seemed aggravated. As I am picking out things for his birthday party my 2 older boys were playing with a football. The clerk comes over to us and says (yelling and clapping his hands) do not play with the toys in the store to my kids. He never acknowledged me or asked me to address my sons who were playing with a Styrofoam football they couldn't have cause any damaged. He was just profiling them because they are **. I watch other kids come in the store without being followed. I addressed the manager and she wasn't concerned. With what I had to say I was in tears leaving the store.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

They have a cashier by the name of Shyanne who never says hi or bye. She only gives the dollar amount. She never smiles, you'd think she lost someone close to her. I don't know what the reason is, either way is unacceptable. She got the job over someone else and she doesn't give a crap about what's required to get her paycheck.

Today I mentioned to her that it’s important to utilize customer service and she responded with "Ha!" So she really must not care about the job and the ability to earn a living like someone else would appreciate and that's sad. Customers are affected by that. This is the exact same cashier who messed up on the register the last time I encountered her, and she needed another worker to help her out as tried to use her calculator on her phone to figure things out. I gave her the benefit of the doubt because I hadn't seen her there before, so I figured she was just new. Today it appeared as if she charged the people in front of me for 5 platters when they had 4, but I wasn't going to butt in. They can verify that by camera and stock, but overall if she doesn't give a damn about the job or making customers feel welcomed enough to come back then she's detrimental to the business.

Today is 10/22/2017 and the time on my receipt reads 11:47 am. They can look at the camera and verify that she didn't speak other than to give me the price. She needs to be replaced. We know many people in the location and it may not be a big deal to some, while others think she's rude but regardless of their outlook her lack of customer service is noticeable.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I don't have a car so I shop online and have Dollar Tree ship everything to me. Normally they send cases of unopened boxes of whatever I buy. This time however it looks as though instead of just shipping me an unopened case of canned foods they sent me loose cans with dents as if what they sent me was something that fell on the floor and busted opened and shoved it into a bigger box so that during shipping the heavy canned foods can roll and bounce around damaging the box and likely causing more damage to the cans.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I was trying to exchange a set of 2 defective glasses but the cashier said I would have to wait for a manager who was on break, at the same time saying, "What do you expect for a dollar" as he walk away leaving me hanging. The other cashier said I could exchange them but in the meantime I drop one glass and broke it so no longer able to exchange. I shop there every day coming home and I guess that what I to expect ** products and service. #BoycottDollarTree. I will be posting on other shopping forums service I got.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Dollar Tree on 98th St., Albuquerque, NM is fairly new. However, on three occasions of shopping there, it is complete disgusting mess. Trash thrown outside. If I had not been careful in watching my step while entering the store, I may have slipped on what appeared to be melted ice cream. This has to be by far, the most disgusting Dollar Tree. In addition, there are so many transients surrounding this store. It's completely disgusting. Brought these issues to the attention of a store rep. However, I'm not sure if he couldn't understand my concern but he went on behind the checking stand with regard. Disgusting and gross management. I do believe it has to do with the Demographics of the Patrons. I was only there due to my job location at those times of incident.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

As an educator, I love the value and variety that Dollar Tree provides especially when shopping for my classroom. Unfortunately the Dollar Tree located in Bloomfield's Staples Complex does not meet even the most basic requirements of cleanliness or professionalism. From the entrance the store is unswept, items are in disarray in the aisles, store associates are often overwhelmed with only two registers opened and long lines. The assistant manager (Brian) and Store manager (Robinson), are unresponsive to customer concerns and have made no changes to the store appearance nor staff training. Extremely disappointed as I love filling my classroom with affordable items from this company.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I was getting out of my car, and I noticed 2 senior citizens that were getting ready to bring their carts back. So I said the 2 women "I'll bring them in the store for you so you don't have to walk back there." I noticed my car windows were still opened so I went to close them and a RUDE store employees comes out saying "those carts have to be returned into the store", I told her I was going to bring them in. I need to do some shopping in the store. She then snatches the carts from me and proceeds to walk in the store. I go to take one because I needed it to shop, she starts again with her rudeness!!! I proceeded to go into the store to complain about her, I said "I need to speak to the manager." Not one employee picked their heads up to assist me. I ask to speak to the manager and the RUDE YOUNG LADY says she's the manager, so I left! I called the store to get some information about who I can speak to regarding this situation, but got no help!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I visited Dollar Tree Mountain view twice recently and was quite satisfied. I was really astonished that they were able to sell things so cheap compared to Walmart or Safeway etc. and of no less quality. True, part of the restroom was also used for storing, but that was indicated too and it was not cramped. The restrooms (I mean the actual toilet rooms) were quite clean and hygienic, more so than I found in some Walmart or Safeway shops. I inquired how they were able to make profit at all but I was informed it was or is one among the Fortune 500 companies too. I really appreciate the way they run and they work the shop and especially with so crude and rude customers as Americans.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I did not know there was a new rule about not putting service dogs in shopping carts. One of the reasons I did not know is because no one ever bothers me about the dog. She only weighs 3 pounds. If I put her on the floor, like Cindy insisted, she could have been injured by feet, shopping carts, falling merchandise, or unattended children.

There was no benefit of the doubt. She could have been courteous and ask me if I knew about this new rule. She didn't care if my dog could be injured. She just started screaming at me, at full volume! She is one of the two most nasty and rude human beings that I have met in all my 65 years. And without question, she is the nastiest store clerk that I have EVER encountered! I cannot recommend shopping at this Dollar Tree store. I am almost a Quaker and I do not believe in any kind of violence. That includes verbal violence. I'm hoping I can report her to the Dollar Tree Franchise. Her behavior is way out of bounds!

Original review: July 26, 2017

While I was in their store, I needed to use their restroom. I couldn't because the area where it is happens to be in their storage room. It’s so crowded with boxes and the rolling carts they use for their stock, you cant even get to them. What do the poor employees have to do, wear diapers? The back door, which I am pretty sure is supposed to be an emergency exit, was also polluted with them. It looks like it’s a tragedy waiting to happen.

Original review: July 24, 2017

On more than one occasion I have gone in this store and can't find what I need and mainly it's because shelves are not getting stocked, the stock room is so full it's busting at the seams, it never use to be like that. I ask one employee if the might be a certain product she commented back to me saying "I don't work with this stuff". I have to ask someone up front, needless to say I left but not without taking so pics first, which I added below.

Original review: July 23, 2017

Shopped at this store on 7-22-2017 in Granbury, Texas. Purchased about 30.00 worth of item. Only had 100.00 bill. The girl at the check told me she didn't have the change to give me back and had to call her manager. The manager came up. The girl told her she needed change. The manager told her if she did not have it in her drawer she could not do the sale and that she had already made her deposit so therefore she couldn't do the sale. "I'm Sorry" was all she could say. I did not purchase a thing. I left the store. I shop in that store quite a bit. I will not be back.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I visited the Dollar Tree store on 2300 W. Davison Ave Detroit, MI 48238 on 7/22/2017 between 10 am & 11 am. I chose to walk to the store in order to get exercise. I selected my items & went to the checkout line. I asked for a big bag instead of several small ones to make my walk easier. The bag was starting to rip so I requested it to be double bagged. The cashier went on about how the bags weren't designed to hold a lot of items & how it's reserved for paper products & how the company didn't send her enough bags so she couldn't give me anymore... blah blah blah. I asked again for a double bag. She started talking back excessively & saying I was rude. I left the items on the counter & walked to another associate to ask for the manager. It turns out the cashier, Sandy, was the manager.

Then I asked for the # to the corporate office. She said, "I ain't getting you nothing. I'm done finish taking care of my customers 'cause you rude." I couldn't believe that she called me rude when all I asked for was a simple request that didn't require any type of response; not one word. Instead I got a bunch of sarcasm from a disgruntled employee. Ultimately, I ended up leaving everything at the counter & going to another store owned by a different company with awesome service.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I shop at the Dollar Tree at the Southgate Plaza in West Seneca, New York. Every time I go in there it is filthy but today (7/20/17) it was the worse I ever seen, The rugs looked (and I might add should be replaced) like they haven't been vacuumed in months. Apparently they were cleaning shelves and just left them with the dirty paper towels just left on shelves and all over floor. The store is never fully stocked. I have gone to other stores in the area and they are immaculate. I can't believe a business such at years allows the store to look like a pig sty. Shame on you.

Original review: July 16, 2017

The Dollar Tree store at Quincy and Buckley in Aurora Colorado has boxes all over through the aisles and it is hard to pass. There are items everywhere that don't belong off of walls and shelves scattered about. It is easy to slip on the plastic of packages laying on the floor. I have never seen such an impossible mess in a store before. Don't know if it's lack of help or what but this will result in a lawsuit when a child has a box fall on them or someone elderly slips on the mess. The store needs to be told to clean up.

Original review: July 9, 2017

The build up: The store#4163 is a store that I visit often for the low prices and convenience. On 7/1/2017 I purchase bag of Moments cookies along with some other items for my wife and I. After opening the bag to enjoy the cookies, I was disappointed to find out that the cookies are out date and stale. The conflict: After driving back to the store to exchange the cookies for a new bag the store manager Angele ** refused to give me a exchange or even return it. After a short time of explaining how it will be difficult to tell if a closed pack of cookies are fresh without opening it. The manager Angele ** then called the police. Confused and in disbelief I left the store with my wife disappointed in the lack of respect.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Yesterday, 07/06/2017, my husband, son, and I visited the Dollar Tree at Hilltop Plaza in Richmond Heights, Ohio. About of the way through our shopping trip, we had an odd encounter with an employee. I had paused at the freezers, looking for a particular item, which I did not see, then continued down the aisle. My husband and son remained behind, I had assumed to continue looking.

As I passed the aisle midpoint, a male employee entered the aisle near the registers and began yelling and gesturing toward the back of the store, "Hey! Hey! Close that freezer! Close the door! Close it!" I turned around to see that he was yelling across the store at my family. I gave the man a funny look, and asked my husband if he had found the item he was looking for. He said no because that man had started yelling. I laughed and said, "What? We can't open freezers to purchase frozen food anymore?"

As we finished up our shopping the situation weighed on my mind. It wasn't funny, it was incredibly rude. When we got to the register, I asked the cashier (the only other employee in the store) if that man was one of the managers. She laughed and told me he was the store manager. I asked her for the District Manager's number, but she instead called him to the front. She called him Dan, his name tag said Dane. I did not catch the cashier's name, but she was an elderly woman with long graying blonde hair. I told her that I didn't want to speak with him, I wanted his boss, but she told me she did not have that information.

When he appeared at the register, he simply stared. He didn't ask how he could help or what was needed. I finally spoke and told him I'd like his District Manager's number. He told me there wasn't one right now, and asked me why I needed it. I told him that I intended to make a complaint about the inappropriate way he yelled across the store at my husband and child. He put his hand in my face and told me he was not giving it to me for that, and then proceeded to scold me for allowing them to play in the freezers, which, he mentioned, had just been fixed that day. He accused them of being immature and writing their names on the inside of the doors. I repeated my statement that it was inappropriate for him to have yelled at them, to which he responded that he had asked them 3 times to stop. The manager was rude and actually yelled at my child!

At this lie, my husband interjected and corrected him, stating that he did not ask, but had only yelled. He started to walk away, talking about people not behaving appropriately in public, but did backpedal his statement, saying he was only 20 feet away. When I told him that there were other, more professional ways he could have handled it, such as approaching my husband and asking him to please close the doors, or explaining they had just been repaired, he rolled his eyes at me. I also told him that a simple apology could have diffused the whole situation, but his response was to tell me that I needed to keep my little PUNK in check. My 8-year-old son stood by silently throughout the incident on the verge of tears. He had been with one or both of us throughout the entire shopping trip, and had not been misbehaving.

At that point I pulled my card from the reader and told the cashier to cancel the transaction. She tried to tell me that she couldn't cancel, but I put my card away and again told her to cancel it while I place the bagged merchandise on the counter. The last items I placed were a broom and a long-handled dust pan. After I had walked away to return the cart (I was two registers away), she yelled at me, "You didn't have to throw it at me!" I assumed she meant the broom, but she could have been referring to something else. I apologized, told her I did not throw anything, but that it probably fell off the pile, apologized again, and reassured her that it was not my intention to start trouble with her as well. She responded with, "Whatever", and began ringing up the next customer's items.

Throughout this situation, I was calm and polite, but I was treated with nothing but contempt, spite, pettiness, and absolutely the RUDEST behavior I have seen in retail. Having worked most of my life in customer service, including having worked AT THIS STORE in the late 1990s, I know that everyone is human and has off days, but I also know that this behavior was completely unacceptable. As a manager, your staff takes cues from you, and you need to be able to handle a variety of situations in a calm, polite, or even friendly manner. I will not return to this store until there is a new manager.

Original review: July 4, 2017

While checking out at Dollar Tree at 800 Harris Street in Eureka California, I was approached by management who accused me of stealing and demanded I empty my bags. When I said I had no problem doing that but I wanted it to be in the presence of security or police, and I would wait for that, I was approached in a very confining and aggressive manner by a little big boned girl who works there. She puffed up her chest, got close in my face, and said to fight with someone my own size. Then I was denied being able to purchase the items I brought to the checkout and told to leave. Before I left I emptied my bags just so they couldn't later say there was anything stolen in my bags.

I have heard numerous reports of this type of conduct at this specific store from many other people. Now I know what they were talking about. It was a very intimidating, rude, unpleasant, and embarrassing experience. I will never enter this particular store again, and I think something should be noted about this stores ongoing issues related to this.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I visited the Dollar Tree in Bensalem, PA on 7-27-2017. This was the WORST Dollar Tree I have ever been in! It was so cluttered, dirty, and just asking for a lawsuit with junk all over the floor to trip over. Candy was on floor opened and spilled, the products on the shelves were disorganized and cluttered. Opened boxes were all over the floors with aisles clogged. YUCK! I felt so DIRTY in there. NEVER have I seen a Dollar Store this FILTHY! Where is the District Manager for this pig sty???

Original review: June 27, 2017

I went into the Dollar Tree in Forestville, on June 24th and the store had no air condition. I went back today and the store still had no air condition. The employees are working under terrible condition with the temperature being in the high 80s and the door constantly being opened. I would like to see the condition improve shortly.

Original review: June 24, 2017

The new store in Immokalee, Naples FL, what's wrong with the air condition? Every time we going oh lord the air condition is off or broken? When I ask the cashiers only said, "Really. Maybe is broken. I don't know.” #2 Lines only one cashier and 100 customers online... It sucks. #3 Please. It’s nothing to seat around the stores a bench or seat, I’m a older woman and this stores is huge, I loved but please may concern about the those 3. Thank you.

Dollar Tree Company Information