1.27/5
Based on 65 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 21, 2018

310 Dollar Tree Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

Visited the Dollar Tree store for the first time and purchased four items. ALL of the items were defective. Went back to the store for a refund and was told that they only do an exchange for more things... which might not work. Obviously wasn't happy with my first, and last, visit. Was told that it says on my receipt that only an exchange for other items is possible... However, telling me this AFTER my purchase (on the receipt) is yet another sign of horrible customer service.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I purchased items and only half the amount went through on my card. I gave the items that were not paid for to the cashier and she said she didn't know how to reverse the items and it would take a while for a receipt. I was in a rush and told her I didn't need a receipt. As I reached the exit another employee screams across the store bringing all attention to me saying your card was declined you need to give your items back. I explained the situation and she was adamant if I didn't have a receipt I didn't pay for it. I told her I would stand at the door and call my bank so she could hear the transaction. While going through the prompts she walks away and another employee approaches me yelling indeed to give her the items. She was preventing me from hearing the prompts. I explained I was calling my bank to prove it was paid for.

She continues to yell stating she didn't care what I was doing. She called the police on me for stealing and she wasn't getting out of my face until she got the items. A customer stopped and apologized for the way they were treating me and offered to pay them so they would leave me alone. I couldn't hear the prompts because she continued to yell at me so I turned around and covered my ear so I could hear and she snatched my poster board for my son's school project and ran into the store yelling she was calling the police. I decided I couldn't keep dealing with this treatment. Left the bag with the other items in front of the store and started walking to my car.

Another lady comes out screaming, “Excuse me. You need to stop walking so I can talk to you.” I said, “I don't have any items and I'm done talking to anyone in this store.” As she approaches me she says very rudely she doesn't work there. She gets in my face yelling so much spit is flying on my face and she says, “You’re not going to talk to any of these people the way you were just doing.” I said, “You have no idea what happened and it's none of your business” and tried to walk away.

She chest bumps me and tells me the last lady was her aunt and it is her business she's gonna kick my **. She continued screaming profanity as I pushed past her and finally got to my car. I filled a complaint with the corporate office and they tried to throw a $50 gift card at me for the trouble. I refused. They became non-responsive for over a month. Now a claims office has contacted me wanting to know what I'm seeking. This deserves for her to be fired... The video tape that corroborated my story has conveniently been taped over and they are doing nothing about it. I have never felt so threatened, embarrassed or mistreated in my life. I have never step foot in the store again after 15+ years of loyalty.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My daughter and I went to Dollar Tree. She has 3 children, 8, 3, and 6 months old. We had the youngest in a cart and the other 2 were free to walk around with us. Her oldest is ADHD. The 3 year old was running around too much so the oldest put her in another cart which I thought was fine. We continued to shop while she pushed her sister around. When we were about thru shopping, and went to find them I saw a display on the floor and I looked at another customer and asked, 'Did they do that?' He said, "Yes," so I proceeded to pick up the mess when a employee came to clean it up. We proceeded to apologize over and over again. The employee did not respond to us and just kept picking up. As I said we continued to help clean it up.

She never even said a word in response to our help and apologies, but when my daughter got in line to pay I took the kids to the car. When my daughter came out of the store she had checked out in the same employee's line, and said she told her she needed to control her children. It wasn’t like we intentionally let them do this, and I think it was very rude and not her place to tell my daughter what to do with her children. It’s not the first time the employees in this store have been rude to me or my daughter. They act like it is inconvenient to have to do their job and it is my fault.

If I had the opportunity to go to a different Dollar Tree I wouldn’t shop at the one in Olive branch Mississippi. I would go to a different store but I have no choice to do so, I am 72 years old and remember when employees were there to help people and not act as though it is an inconvenience to help customers. I have been in this store several times when I asked where Something was and instead of helping me find it I am told what aisle it is on. One time I was looking for something and fellow customers tried to help me find it, which is more than the employees ever do.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I bought a toy paddle ball that broke (cracked wood) after 5 hits of the ball. Defective product, I just wanted to try another one. The “manager” looked at me like I was out of my mind and kept saying “it was just a dollar”, and they “can’t just give another product if it breaks”. When I balked, she then told me to “get out of her store or she would call police”. If this is indeed their policy, I assume it means for anything they sell - eyewash that burns your eye, shampoo that turns your hair green, ** or food that makes you sick… This is their business model – “it’s just a dollar” so they can sell defective crap and you are out of luck. Notice it is not “just their dollar” and a customer is worth not even one penny to them. Be careful what you buy here. I’ll never buy another thing at this store. I also have never seen more miserable and disgruntled employees as at these stores. They look at you when you walk in with disdain and disgust written all over their faces.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I received email confirmation to pick up order, so I went two days later and it was not there. I wasted my time and gas for nothing. I was asked for my phone# and was told I would be called when they find it. I said no, cuz I would not make a 2nd trip at the cost of more time and gas for a mistake on Dollar Tree's part. I felt that they should be responsible for their mistake and make it right. I asked that they ship the order the 2nd time direct to me at no charge. That would be a FAIR solution for the customer. I spoke with customer service today, and was told they will ONLY ship back to store again, and that I would have to make a 2nd trip. Dollar Tree does not accept responsibility for their mistakes. No integrity!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Tree?

Original review: April 29, 2018

2740 W 16th Street Yuma AZ 85364 - Good evening, I was recently a customer at your Dollar Tree establishment (store number 3776). I enjoy bringing my business to the Dollar Tree store because of the unbeatable customer service and deals, but unfortunately tonight was an unforgettably terrible experience. I was browsing through the party aisle with my 11 month old son and husband. We were searching for party supplies for my son's very first birthday party, as I was walking down the party supply aisle I came across a bag of balloons that had been torn open on the bottom left corner. There was a white balloon that appeared to have confetti hanging out of the torn open bag. The balloon was hanging out of the already torn open bag, I then proceeded to pick up the bag and look at the balloon to see what type it was (it was an off white balloon with floating confetti, which I thought would be an awesome fit for my son's party).

Before I had the chance to put the balloon in my basket a store representative by the name of ** approached me very abruptly and demanded that I pay for the item because I tore the bag open (keep in mind this package was previous opened before I ever touched the balloon). I stated, “Okay ma'am I am still shopping.” I then turned around after saying that. After turning around ** demanded I go pay for the bag that I opened. I then defended myself and stated to **, “This bag was torn open from the side, prior to me even looking at the balloon out of the actual package.” ** then proceeded to accuse me of stealing, and said if I did not leave the store for stealing she was going to call her manager and local authorities.

At this point I was on the verge of tears, she humiliated me in front of the entire store of employees and customers. I was being looked at as some type of criminal. I was simply shopping and looking at a balloon that I had intentions of purchasing for my son's birthday. Never did I leave the store with any item, I did not place the item in my pocket. I never STOLE ANYTHING. As I was leaving the store ** stated, “What kind of adult are you, if the package was open why would you even touch it”.

Dollar Store, this is wrong. I was threatened, harassed and humiliated by your employee **. My family and I were kicked out of your store for simply browsing around like any normal customer. My voice will not go unheard. Yes, I may have looked undressed, but I had a long day of preparing for my son's birthday and my only intention was to finish purchasing my last items at my favorite store. As I mentioned I will not let this story go unheard. I will not stop spreading my story until your corporation contacts me. This is no way to treat your customers and their family. I am mentally distraught due to the treatment from one of your local employees named **. Dollar Store, I am reaching out because this needs to be heard and something needs to be done.

Original review: April 21, 2018

This store is located in Covington, Wash. I have been going to this store since it first opened and I really like those stores. For several months now, I've asked why their bathrooms were closed now (I went to check); the main reason they said, was too much drug use. I said, as a suggestion, "Why don't you have a key and people can ask to use." One employee said, "We don't have the time." The other day, I went in; had a list of what I wanted and guess what?? I needed to use the bathroom quick (age 76 yrs old). I asked, and the clerk said no bathroom available.

I asked where do I go and she said, "To Safeway store." I left my cart off to the side; almost ran out the door, down to the store. After asking where bathroom was; well, I was holding it all to get there in time. I got back to Dollar Tree and they had taken my cart away. I had to go get everything again. I believe someone needs them to get these bathrooms back open. This store gets a lot of customers. MY QUESTION: Why close off the bathrooms to public? (It says: only for employees.) Surely they can check them out during the day or ask for the key. We should not have to use another store, to use their bathrooms.

Original review: April 17, 2018

When I went shopping at Dollar Tree store on 76th and Rawson and other one in Greenfield I waited in a long line for thirty minutes. Only one cashier there. I asked for the manager but she didn’t care.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Since February 9, 2018 They removed $96 from my debit account, it has been in the statement on hold as processing. The order was never fulfilled. I have been on hold for several hours, they move my call from one person to another and no one is able to remove the charge nor to fulfill the order. Last time they suggested to call the bank, I did, and the bank says they are the only one that can remove that charge, because it is in processing.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I ordered a teeth whitening product from their online website called “Dazzling White teeth whitening pen.” I went to their local store picked up 6 brown boxes that contain several per box. I got home opened one of the six boxes and to my surprise it was so other teeth whitening pen product from another company and is not the one in the photo on the website nor the photo on my email confirmation. Simple mistake, they sent the wrong product. I called up the number on the email confirmation to be told a few days we will resolve this. No worries. After one week they tell me that I received the order and that all sales are final. No refunds. That’s their policy. I advised again that my order is incomplete. I just wanted the correct order/credit/money back/anything. They said they did complete the order by sending “a teeth whiter” and that since I left the store with it. Sales final no returns or refunds.

I currently still have these random teeth pens still 5 sealed in their Dollar Tree brown shopping boxes and one open showing this clearly is not the same as the picture online or the name or the company. Dollar Tree also told me the scu numbers match so that’s why they’re right and I should have known the scu # or something. Seriously one of the worst customer experiences you could have. Might as well be automated. Heartless. I was just shocked you could do this to people. Order some apples then bananas show up and they tell you well you ordered fruit we brought fruit and since it’s in brown shipping boxes make sure you rip to open in the store before you leave because that’s comfortable. Leave logic at the door.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Placed $800+ order on the 10th for charity project on the 19th to give poor kids hygiene care items. Had the order shipping to store 2.8 miles from home in Florida. Tried to check status of order online, but past day and a half site was down (confirmed by Deborah at customer service). This morning, site was up, there was an order in my shopping cart for over $28,000 that I had to quickly delete, and my order was now going to Maine! Dollar Tree says there's nothing they can do.

I had to place another order (but it won't arrive until the 24th of April), and wait for shipment to arrive in Maine before I could cancel it! So, they want me to have 2 duplicate orders of over $1600 and trust them that the cancellation of the 1st order will be problem free? Seems like all the work is shifted to the customer when things go wrong by Dollar Tree! They won't even do a rush shipment so the charity can give the kids the hygiene items on the day (19th) the project was set up for!! Talk about taking NO RESPONSIBILITY! Can't wait to cancel that order.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I'm so frustrated with Dollar Tree's online ordering service right now. Ordered a case of glasses a week ago and paid expedited shipping with an estimated delivery on Wednesday, 4/4. On Wednesday, I get an email that the shipping label for UPS 2 day service was printed, but when tracking for 2 days it was not shipped. Called today, Friday 4/6 to see when I could expect it to ship and how to go about a refund for the expedited shipping since it still hasn't shipped and won't meet my deadline, now. Was told it shows the order complete on their end and that my concerns would be expedited to management so that someone could call me back. Still waiting on that call, and expect it will never come since there were no replies to my emails sent yesterday.

Funny how less than an hour after my call, I get an email showing the charge paid by my credit company (this is the day after the original authorization canceled due to their waiting so long). Call back and no answer, then I check the tracking and voila! Package was picked up by carrier at 6:59 p.m. So, I'm out the money paid Dollar Tree for 2 day shipping, the glasses won't be delivered till almost a week after they were supposed to be and I've ordered glasses from another supplier to arrive on Monday. I've ordered here before and lost 1/3 of the glassware that was broken due to poor packaging, was told they can't help the carrier's handling, and now this. Last chance. I'll pay more for better service in the future.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have been patronizing this Dollar Tree, 2636 Bragg Blvd. Fayetteville, North Carolina 28303, for a number of years and until recently the conditions of the store are horrible. There is trash all over the floor, in the aisles and no fronting of products. There are a number of lines open at a time, but no one is cleaning and stocking the shelves. The manager sits in the office the whole time. Someone needs to see the condition of this store and handle this right away.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I purchase a bulb that didn’t work among another 74 items from the store, I shop at the Dollar Tree almost every week, never had a problem until I went to the store in National City CA. No cashiers to be found and a huge line to pay. I go to the office inside the store and the assistant manager comes out says the manager is busy on the phone. I could overhear the conversation from the manager about the party the night before, I just said, "May I return this bulb. It does not work." She interrupts the manager and she says “what? No. He can’t return it.” I ask her to come out. She does wearing sweat, hanged over, I asked for her name. She says, "Lorena. I can’t give any more than that.” Not even wearing a name tag, just plain rude. Just trashed.

Original review: March 18, 2018

What really blows is now the Dollar Tree charges you a 1.00 fee if you get cash back. A convenience fee really. There shouldn't be a fee if it's convenience, only an inconvenience. Another way for someone to have an extra hand in your pocket. Enough is never enough.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Lately the Dollar Tree in Monterey Park California on Garfield, has been really extremely sloppy, they don't mop the floors. Everything is unorganized. They're hardly stock.. and when they do they just open the box and throw it on the shop. They don't even stand it up or organize it.. and the refrigerator smells. How can nobody check this Dollar Tree out. Don't you guys care about your place.. I live in a resident that is very clean and to see a pig pen like this not happy.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have had a few incidents at the Dollar Tree near where I live, the one in East Windsor NJ. OMG I am sooo appalled at this place. I love to shop there, cuz they always have some good stuff I either want or need, and I have even learned to put up with the tornado like mess that is every aisle. But one thing that gets me is the MANAGER and the way she treats me (or did) when I went into the store the last few times. I, like many customers I have seen in that store, go in to browse or just buy what I need, sometimes it is a slow day and just get lost for a good hour or so either checking out the cool stuff in seasonal or maybe have my nose in a good book I found, or checking beauty stuff... etc. And no one bothers me.

But for some reason the manager decided (her name is APRIL in case anyone recognizes her) that it was ok for her (with so called "permission" from folks at corporate... Bet my life this is a lie) to follow me down the aisles, press me up against a shelf nearly, whenever I went in there, and stalk me, like a predator, standing with her arms folded watching me just LOOK at an item. I seriously felt so unsafe and VIOLATED at this... What the heck kind of management team allows a manager or employee to stalk their customers??! A couple of times I had to call the cops to bring up a harassment issue and they listened to me but apparently decided that, "Oh the manager can do what she wants, blah blah," that basically it was OK for her to violate my privacy and make me feel like I couldnt shop in peace.

And NOW she has decided to try and get me banned (which I WILL find a way to overturn in the future) cuz she thinks I have a history of shoplifting there. I do NOT. Never have I once been charged of ANY crime or even accused of it. This APRIL woman does not like me simply cuz we apparently do not get along and she knows I dont like her snotty attitude, so she just wants to try to get rid of me. I have a right to shop there the same as anyone else. She is an EVIL woman, and if I were her DM, I would have her fired or at least written up and suspended, and most definitely transferred to another store.

I even overheard her talking once to a female worker while I was shopping that she should "check the security footage" or whatever (dont remember exact words, plus there are NO cameras in that store) and telling her coworker that she knew my mother from somewhere. All I was doing when that happened was standing in an aisle, I was very tired, and just reading the back of a package of something in the beauty aisle. NOTHING ELSE.

Anytime I have ever been rude to her at all, I have apologized, and just tried to let it go and go about my business. According to her, well what A cop told me she said, was that at some point (again no specified date or anything) she saw me take something and give something back to the cashier or whatever. That NEVER happened, anytime. The only time(s) I have ever given an item back to the cashier was when I either forgot I was holding an item and just had a stupid tired moment, or if I had an exchange to make. I was so upset the last few times and just so furious at the way I was treated (being followed by a MALE manager now... Some sleepy-eyed tanned skin guy forgot his name who honestly looks blind and was extremely rude and laughing at me), that again I had to call someone and still they wouldnt do anything but try to help me chill.

I was crying my eyes out and I did not mean to make any kind of scene, but what kind of harassment I had to endure was totally out of line. I would gladly shop here again if the service were better, a complete changeover of crew, and much better management that knows how to apologize to customers when they are being mistreated. I have been in customer service for a long time, since I was 16, and this is a HORRIBLE example. So sorry for such a long winded review.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

The store in Crestview Florida is the worst store I have ever been in. It is dirty and merchandise just scattered in out of place areas. The cooler is disgusting. Almost a health hazard. Under the bottom shelf if very dirty. I was in there today and under the shelf with the eggs was so bad. Food packages under there for who knows how long. Someone needs to check this store out. The manager there is very rude to both associates and customers. A friend of mine worked there and got let go because he did not work fast enough on the first day. Not an enjoyable place to shop anymore.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I visited the Dollar Tree today on 6656 Lone Tree Blvd Rocklin CA this afternoon. The customer behind me in line had her dog with her. The front door clearly states "Service Animals" hers was not. I called the store after I left. The managers reply "People always bring their dogs inside the store." A lot of people bring their dogs in here. Dogs should not be allowed in stores that sell food. It's disgusting and disrespectful to other customers. She said she can't stop everyone. Well the register is by the door, she greets the customers, if they have a non-service animal politely ask them to leave it outside.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

All in all over the years I've had good service and good enough produce. The clerks are very polite and helpful except one day when my friend and I were there and he had to go to the bathroom really bad and was told, "No customer bathrooms". He had to leave the store and look for a bathroom. By the time he found one he had already done the act in his pants. The Dollar store as far as I am concerned is not very people friendly when they can smile while taking your money, but frown at you for wanting to use the restroom. If nothing else loan us a bedpan and let us go in the backroom. Nobody likes to use their clothes for a toilet because the store is willing to take your money but not willing to let you use their toilet. Myself I take a water pill and can't afford to go in there for more than 1 or 2 items at a time. Come on even WalMart has a bathroom for their customers.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Our new Dollar Tree in Bellefontaine, Ohio yells at its workers and demeans them in front of each other. Saving a little isn’t worth it if it’s promoting angry abuse of its workers… No thanks. We will choose Dollar General. They may cost more but they also operate ethically.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I was at your Pimlico Parkway store when I walked in there. There was a line I went and proceeded to pick up what I needed and I got in line. There was always a 10 people in line. I asked the gentleman where the manager was and he replied he was the manager and I asked him how come they didn’t have a cashier working and he told me that the guy stocking only stocks he does not run the register and he was the only one there and if I didn’t like it I can walk out the door. To me that it’s not customer service. That is extremely rude and that’s not a manager I would want. He again told me as he pointed to the door. I shop at the store several times a week and have for many years. That store has been through many managers but this is the most unfriendly and rude manager you have ever had. I have not been back since then.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Had to run a block to find a restroom. By that time I had already emptied my bladder. Good enough prices but worth the extra few nickels to go elsewhere. Unfortunately I have to go elsewhere to the restroom, so I have to go where the restroom is.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Everything in the store is cheap! All they have is cheaply made products that fall apart half the time anyway. There is no way that they beat out their rivals over at Wal-Mart! Wal-Mart doesn't isn't cheap like that, they know what the consumers want.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

The new cashier on the south side of Paducah is rude. Literally a kid in front of me was making a return, she didn’t y’all to him at all. He even said, "Thank you." Her nothing. Then my turn comes. Again she says nothing other than the total. She sees I have an EBT card. She’s puts it in then starts writing something down. So at this point I’m waiting on her so I say, "How much is the total hun?" She repeats the first total before the EBT card so not only is she rude but she is also wrong so I say, “After the card?” She hits the button. Says the total. I give her the money. My change is two pennies. Instead of giving me my change and receipt she says, "Do you want your two pennies." I just walked off. Wonder why she didn’t offer me my receipt. Oh yeah probably because I would do what I’m doing now. Complain on her! She’s about 25-30 ish brown hair long ponytail. It’s Christmas time. Do your job. If you can’t handle working with the public then don’t!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I took my 93 yr old Mom to Dollar Tree in Phoenix at 57th Ave and Bell Rd. She is in a wheelchair, and needed to use the restroom. The manager told us the restroom was not available to the public! Even after explaining the urgency of the matter, management would NOT ALLOW HER TO USE THEIR RESTROOM! We tried to hurry to the store next door, but unfortunately didn’t quite make it! My poor mom was totally embarrassed and I was devastated for her. Just an unacceptable, while avoidable, experience!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

They need to provide bathrooms for customers. I will never take my 72 year old mother to another Dollar Tree until they provide bathrooms... I am sure there is more elderly folks who feel the same way.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My first online order was successful (though over a year ago). I'd received email updates on status, delivery, etc. This second time around, not so much. I ordered my products on Oct. 28, and there was no followup from Dollar Tree. Called CS about the matter, wondering where the heck my shipment was, as it was now Nov. 15, THREE WEEKS LATER, and she dialled on her end, for about 30 minutes, before telling me the shipment was supposedly sent to my local store, but 'could not be confirmed'. What total B.S. She then promised me someone would follow up with me 'within 24 yrs'.

That was a Monday morning. Well, Tuesday evening, no followup call. Of course. Called CS back, only to get a total runaround that their service end is busy, and to please be patient as they... blah blah blah. Whatever. Do not do online business with these clowns. You will not receive your order, much less on-time. It does NOT take 3-4 weeks for any shipment to your local store. You've been warned.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Placed an order over the phone because their site was not working. Provided a billing and a shipping address and paid $20 to have 2 heavy boxes shipped to the shipping address. The rep ended up using my billing address as my shipping address. I caught it while reviewing my order online later that day and called back several times to correct it. Their reps were too busy to fix it, kept putting me on hold and escalating my call. Assured me that they would not ship it out without correcting the address. This went on for 3 days (I spent a total of 4 hours on calls with them trying to correct the situation) and they ended up shipping out the package to the wrong address anyway.

Another rep promised that once corporate opens on Monday, they would process a refund since it is clearly not my fault they shipped it to the wrong place. Well, corporate was extremely rude and requested that I find someone to go to the location where they dropped off those boxes to pick them up and bring them back to the store for refund, even though I explained the whole situation to them. Going to have to call my credit card to dispute the charges since Dollar Tree Customer Service clearly does not care about serving their customers. Never buying anything from them again.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I have been shopping at the Dollar Tree in Marshall Michigan for years and have had no issues. There has always been friendly employees working there. The man with the accent named Nigel has always been a favorite person to see there-so nice to everyone no matter how busy they were there. Now he is gone...what happened to him? He was always so kind and took time to help anyone that needed help, and just made it so nice to know he was there to help customers like me. The store has always been clean, organized and has had full shelves. It is not the same store that it once was, Did new owners buy it? For the past few weeks, I have been going in and the shelves are no longer full-they are empty or near empty. I hope Nigel is on a short vacation, because he hasn't been there and it is definitely not the same atmosphere or same organized store look as it once was, I am a very disappointed customer.

Dollar Tree Company Information