3.4/5 (2077 reviews)

Overall Rating3.4 out of 5

About Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Tree?
Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

This was a first for me...a pleasant, enjoyable experience at the Lehi, Utah Dollar Tree. The checkout clerk, Ethan was on his second day of the job, but you'd never know it. He was fast, polite, and generally concerned about if I'd had a positive experience at the store and if there was anything he could do better to help. He was a great example of someone working hard and proud of the company he is working for. When I asked how he liked his job, he said he loved it, he loved the people and he loved the customers, he stated that he hopes to be there for a very long time. He stated that the company is very disability friendly, and that really struck me, you don't hear that often - sadly that topic is generally considered negative or frowned upon and wrongly associated with disfunction - so I'm proud of Dollar Tree for being supportive of those with disabilities and empowering their employees to be happy and encouraging them to pursue their goals.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

I watched the cashier pick up a customer money he drop, that she just helped and instead of giving it to him she put it in her pocket. Later I check my bank and she tries to double change my account and the bank fixed it. Please be careful shopping at the location at 6926 Antoine Drive Houston, Texas 77091 Store# 7921.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

Store is giving out counterfeit bills as change. When confronted, they denied responsibility. They claimed since I was unable to test bill for counterfeit before leaving store (I don't carry a counterfeit pen in my purse), it's not their problem. Even though transaction had just accused and a camera is over teller.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

3611 Matthews Mint Hill NC store hours posted is different from actual closing time. I made a special trip to this store and arrived at 8:45P and the door was already closed. This is inconvenience to me and other customers, please fix.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

Dollar Tree Online Shoppers BEWARE! I rarely use this site; but, they had a special on shipping. And, they have the least expensive bulk price for tissue paper (for gifts). VERY long story short, our items didn't arrive. Called Dollar Tree support to advise. Very poor customer service and they refused to refund the money for items we didn't receive. And, the representatives were rude. Wasn't much; but, it was still our money. I know these are tough times; and, most can't afford NOT to shop at Dollar Tree. My goal? Avoid using them if you can. And, DEFINITELY try not to order online. They'll keep your money AND your merchandise. Guess their unscrupulous business practices is how they stay cheap. Proves the old adage, you get what you pay for!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

Beware of... Store #495. 1250 E Atlantic St. LaCrosse, VA 23950-1820. The worst experience ever w/ the cashier while checking out today. I was refused one more bag for purchased item from the rude cashier (possibly manager) stating it's Dollar Tree's policy that the customers get a limited number of bags due to bag shortage and I had already received two more than my limit. Interesting. If that were the case, okay, that's fine I get it. But it's not what you say, it's how you say it. And what he failed to realize was that he rang up two different orders from two different people on one ticket because he had such an attitude and wasn't paying attention when the customer behind me, whom I was with, told him it was separate. He had gone so far into the next customer's order that I told him to go ahead and ring everything together due to the long lines and his attitude.

He then proceeded to bag terribly, overfilling the already poor quality bags, putting cold wet food items in bags with washcloths and other dry items. We were just traveling through from out of town heading home to two different locations. Perhaps if he didn't have such poor customer service skills he would have actively listened and proceeded accordingly when being told that's not with her order, it's a separate order. With me being dumbfounded with what he was talking about and the way in which he was speaking and waving his hands. I'm just like, "Well so you're telling me I can't get a bag to put this bleach in that I just purchased." No he said. Okay let me just get out of this store. He also stated that if you need more bags you need to bring them with you.

That is fine as well, however if you're going to be a store that provides a limited number of bags you need to make that clear to your customers upfront. And not wait for someone to purchase a large amount of items expecting to get their purchased items bagged, then tell them no it's only a certain amount. That's crazy to me. I don't work for dollar tree, I don't know their policies. If we would have known that they no longer bag everything, perhaps we wouldn't have stopped there, perhaps we wouldn't have made such a large purchase, perhaps we would have chosen another store, or maybe we would have had bags. Who knows.

So, as I'm trying to get out of there as quickly as I can, with him following of course as though I have stolen something, I'm a thief, and trying to run away, not realizing that there is a bar on the cart as I get to the door and I can't go through (still not realizing there is a bar) due to the production he was starring in, he and my traveling companion are having words. He's going to involve "me" telling myself and she that "we" are banned from the store. If we come back, we will get a trespass and get arrested. I'm like what have I done to you other than shop at your store, made a larger purchase than expected because you weren't paying attention ringing up two orders and one, and try to leave out the store. Then he proceeds to step right up on me and grab the handle of the cart as I'm in the doorway holding the cart.

He stated you don't know how to operate this, referring to the cart and bar. At that point I let go of the cart, hold my hands up and tell him to please not hit me with the cart or touch me. I did not realize there was a bar on the cart. I did not have the cart originally. I'm just trying to get out of the store, don't put your hands on me. An argument you're having with a totally separate person, whether they're with me or not, has/had nothing at all to do with me. The only correspondence that I had with you was asking you so I cannot get a bag for this item that I just purchased and telling you to calm down and not touch me, that's it. I have never, ever in my life been so ridiculously caught off guard, disrespected in a public place with lines long and so many people in there just watching. And it just so happened that my companion and I were the only people of color in the store at the time. Interesting.

Then to tell me that you are going to ban me from the store and if I return you will trespass me. Really? I don't know where they got this cashier or manager or whatever his title is I don't know but they need to send him back. In no way, form, or fashion is that customer service or management material. I have to interact with people on a daily basis and if you cannot handle an uncomfortable situations/conversations, disgruntle customers, if you cannot communicate effectively and properly, if you cannot listen actively, customer service is not the place for you sir.

Also you should never come up on a person, get right up on a person and grab anything near them, especially when you had no reason to come behind me or even near me for that matter. And grab the cart as though I was stealing and trying to make a mad dash for it. I call that no self control. That's bad for business and quite dangerous if you ask me. I hope you don't try that with the wrong person. Perhaps some anger management is in order.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Store manager of store 6151 in Mountainview, NJ is extremely unhelpful and rude. I am a senior citizen and the store manager refused to retrieve an in stock product for me and told me to come back in a few days.

Original review: May 11, 2022

The sign you can read from the parking lot lists their hours as 9 PM closing. If you get out of your car and walk up to the door, they have a very small sign saying they close at 6 PM. I talked to the manager at that store and she said there is nothing they can do.

Original review: March 27, 2022

After taking the items out of my basket that I was purchasing I placed it on the floor at an unused register next to me where there were other baskets. The cashier told me it doesn't go there and to put it back where it goes about 10 feet away by the front door. She started saying profanities & acting like she was going to come after me. I asked for a manager, Ashley who said that, "Like when you go to the grocery store and return your cart you do that here too." I said, "I don't work here and you know what? Keep my stuff. I'm not spending my money here." The cashier yelling at me. I said, "What's your name," she screamed, "Natalie. You **". I was so scared and shaking. She acted like she was gonna come after me. I can’t believe that a young girl would treat a customer like this.

Original review: March 16, 2022

This morning I witnessed an elderly woman, with a walker, easily in her 80’s, needing to use the restroom. The employee just kept saying “it’s broken”. Isn’t there a law in California that these businesses must provide a bathroom? Can legal action be taken for the disregard to shoppers in need? Especially the elderly? And if it’s broken what are the employees doing?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I went there over Christmas time for shopping and found the employee was drunk; behaving very wildly and unruly. When I noticed it to Manager she took no further action. How could one show up at work while drunk? Stay away this junk place unless you want to look for trouble...

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I have shopped years at the Dollar Tree on Rogers Ave store in Fort Smith Arkansas. The manager Jessica has yelled at me for asking about products. I tried to call corporate! To complain but no real person! I did leave my name and number with another store manager named Anna, now I'm getting employees try to fight with me! I also had a lady name Donna telling people in Walmart I steal from there! I would like to see this on camera!!! I will not be going back in this store without someone with me and I will have my phone on filming my visit! I will not take this abusive or bullying behavior again!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I usually go to a Dollar tree when I go out of town since I live in the country. I happened to be Christmas shopping with my toddler and went up to the cashier and asked if I could use the bathroom. She said, "No. Only a manager can unlock the bathroom." Clearly marked as public restrooms. She would not go back and unlock the facility for my child and I. I will no longer go to your store and will also let friends and family know that you are not a family friendly store and will take my business to Dollar general as well as tell family and friends. You should take the time and take care of your customers. You have too much competition to have employees that do not have any customer service. Makes me sick to my stomach knowing you guys wouldn't even open your restrooms to a mother and her toddler. Put yourself any someone else's shoes!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

I go to this store often and have not ever had an issue until today. I was not the cause of the disturbance at Dollar Tree. I asked the cashier Kenta to properly ring my merchandise individually. I remained on the premises after I was viciously verbally assaulted by the cashier, Kenta. Her behavior was very aggressive and unprofessional. She then called the police. I didn't do anything wrong. At the time the manager, Erica returned inside the store to assist in completing my transactions.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

Updated on 12/19/2021: After I wrote the review regarding my online order with Dollar Tree, I emailed the company's online customer service line and requested a refund as the items we ordered had not been shipped. Dollar Tree emailed me back to say "unfortunately" they were unable to issue a refund. The items still had not been shipped. Finally, on December 16, 2021 we received an email from Dollar Tree saying the ordered had shipped and would be delivered December 18, 2021 (which was a full 10 days later that originally stated). We got the order and many of the items were broken! See the pictures. There was no bubble wrap or protective packaging in the box. Part of the items were dirty and dingy looking. At this point I will never order from them again.

Original Review: On December 2, 2021 I ordered some Christmas Tabletop decorations from Dollar Tree. First the item was listed as out of stock, then it showed there were some available. My daughter called the Dollar Tree Distribution Center in Joliet, IL and was told that there were some available. We went on the Dollar Tree website and ordered 1 carton (which is the minimum order quantity). The online order form stated that shipments to a home address would arrive on December 8, 2021 and orders shipped to a store for pickup would arrive December 11, 2021.

After I placed the order my daughter and I checked the website a couple of days later and typed in the Order Status/Tracking Information which first showed no such order existed. Afterwards we called Dollar Tree Customer Service where a representative looked up the order and said that it was in the system. Needless to say, we were skeptical about the order.

When I called a few days later to again check on the order the customer service person said that the trucks (UPS) were running behind schedule and the order should arrive on December 11th. When I asked the represented about the change in arrival dates, she blamed it on UPS trucks. Each time I check the order online, the status is always "In Process" with no shipping date or other information. I don't think Dollar Tree has even shipped the order. Dollar Tree needs to be upfront and honest as to whether they have the item, whether it shipped or not. We have people waiting for these tabletops to use them in decorating; however, we are not sure where these items are or if they ever shipped.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

You literally have to kick through trash to get into the store. Dalraida Commons store. We love Dollar Tree, but the trash and filth in the parking lot is disgusting and ruins our clean community. Help.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

They have name brand items for a dollar.. Each store I go to there are either two or three people working there and no security and very long lines with one cashier who might have to wrap up disrespectful or get balloons or both. They all deserve a raise.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Used to be a favorite store. High Springs Florida Dollar Tree. But over the last few months it has become an awful experience shopping there. Today was the worst. I think one of the women may be too old to be working there. Slow and cranky. Seems to mess up the entire atmosphere. She was especially rude to me. I tried to return an item but it was not in the original packaging material so they couldn't take it back. No biggy. But she made a huge commotion about it. Like I was trying to pull a fast one on the company. I mean REALLY!!! She moved her arm very fast towards me and it connected with my hand and started screaming, "Don't touch me!!!" I let it go and did my other shopping.

While trying to check out with my purchases she made it a point to come over to the register, glaring at me and warning the cashier that I could not return the stupid item. I wasn't even trying to return it. I was just trying to check out my other purchases. It was insult to injury. What an awful experience. It has been very unpleasant shopping there for several months now. To be honest with you I wouldn't go there to pass stool in the restroom. I think it is this one very old woman who making it nasty there. There doesn't seem to be any way to lodge a complaint with Dollar Tree. If there was I would. But next best is to write the review.

Resolution response: Oct. 7, 2021

Follow up to my other review. When I left the customer service rep the correct billing and shipping address to be change in their system, she said she would forward it to the correct department. When I called back after it shipped to the wrong address, the supervisor told me that they are not allowed to change addresses. Question, how did I get billed with the wrong address in their system? On the original order confirmation, both addresses are incorrect. On the shipment confirmation, my billing address was changed to the correct address that I had given them. So they changed the billing address so they would get paid, but did not change the shipping address. That makes no sense.

The package was refused, however, because I had lived there so long, one of my neighbors took it. I did speak to a customer service rep named Sharon, who was not only helpful but understands what her job is. She actually contacted UPS to see where the package was actually left. Through too much effort on my part, it was found.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I placed an order online, changing my address. There was a glitch in the system which changed my order. I logged out and in again and made sure addresses were changed again. When I hit submit, the previous address populated the completed order. I called Customer Service first thing Monday morning to explain. The rep said it would be corrected. Of course, it was not. Dollar Tree is making it my problem finding my package. I have moved and don't know who lives there now. I asked for a refund and a reship. They said I have to make a good faith effort to "find my package" myself and what I ordered is now out of stock. They told me I would have to check every day to see if it is back in stock to reorder. If this is customer service, I don't get it. How much of their job do I have to do.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I made a mistake on the keypad at checkout. The cashier called the manager (I could be his grandma) for help. He told me he couldn’t change anything and he ripped off the sales slip and shoved it in my hand. I asked for help and not only did not get help, I was treated rudely. Getting old is no fun but to be treated as yesterday’s trash is worse.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I usually like Dollar Tree stores but today the store I visited was very understaffed and many shelves were empty. I was looking for packs of balloons and was told by the cashier they were in the birthday/party area. I looked everywhere and there were none to be found. When I was checking out I stood in line behind a customer checking out ahead of me. She was having issues with something and the cashier called for assistance. When the manager, Amy came up to help I asked her if she was going to open up another register because there were 3 or 4 people standing behind the lady having issues. She said she was taking care of the trash but would be up in a few minutes. When I was checking out I counted 8 customers standing in line behind me and Amy didn’t appear. You could tell people were frustrated.

When I was loading up my car another customer and I chatted about the poor service. She mentioned they couldn’t get people to work and had actually closed the store a couple of times. She said Dollar Tree only pays minimum wage but makes a fortune. They had one cashier working and the poor girl was swamped. There was no one in the store helping customers like me who couldn’t find balloons and the manager was obviously in the back. Why can’t major retail stores like these pay a decent wage and serve their customers better?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Upon approaching counter with a full basket of merchandise, the cashier rudely demanded "empty your basket". When she barked this "command", I responded in same. The manager came out after hearing my response to the rude cashier and immediately defended her and asking me to leave. The manager also called the local police. What happened to the concept of service, and customer is a customer? It sure was not at this store located on Eastchester Drive in High Point, NC. I have been in retail sales for many years, and if this happened in my store, I would dismiss that employee in a heart beat. I will tell friends and associates to stay clear of this business.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I was waiting in line for a while, more than five minutes, waiting to check out. There was one employee just standing in the corner by the balloons, and the manager was in her office. I had been at this store before and they used to have a bell to ring for service. I looked around, but didn’t see the bell. Eventually the cashier shows up, she had been helping someone shop, and she shoves my basket aside (spilling the contents) and tells me “He is going first”, no explanations, just informed me that someone else is getting checked out before me. When it was my turn to check out, I told her that it was really rude to do shove my things aside like she did. She told me she was helping the guy she checked out before me, so he got to go first. I said “I was waiting in line to check out. That’s not fair, he was still shopping. I waited just like any other customer who was finished shopping.”

The manager came out to ask what was going on. I told her, and mentioned that the store had a bell you could ring for help, but didn’t see it. She proceeds to tell me “It’s against company policy to have as bell.” That’s all she focused on. I have been at this store several times over the years and this is the first time I had not seen the bell she was so concerned about. The manager did not care about anything that I had to say and rolled her eyes the entire time I was talking. As I was leaving, she made sure to tell me to have a nice day in the most sarcastic, snarky tone she could muster. It felt like the entire time I was speaking with the manager she was purposely trying to escalate the situation, that she was trying to make me more upset.

Original review: July 25, 2021

Honesty is always the best policy first and foremost. I placed an order and paid for it. I was given an extended time to pick up my order. When I got to the store I found that my order could not be located for whatever reason. Store clerks tried but to look for order but could not locate. The manager could not tell me if order had arrived despite the order confirmation said it had arrived. In future orders if you get any, make sure people receive what they paid for or provide a prompt refund period immediately. The 800 customer service number does not work on the weekend. VERY DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I shop Dollar Tree often, there is a store just around the corner from my office, so I'm probably in there at least 2 or 3 times a week, I often purchase items for my lunch there! I recently made an online purchase for the first time. Yesterday I received an e-mail informing me my order had arrived. It was shipped to the store on the other side of town (300 Sam Walton Drive). "Not too far away, probably just 4 or 5 miles". Kat was the lady's name who helped me, and I have to say she was super nice and helpful! She went over and above to make sure my order was correct and undamaged! You just don't see many retail employees these days with that kind of work ethic, (I hope you appreciate her and treat her well, it's employees like that that make a business successful.) So even though this store is on the other side of town and a little out of my way I will definitely visit it more often. Keep up the good work Kat!!! Jonathan ** Somerset KY.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I was searching the internet to make a review for the Dollar Tree Stores. I'm very glad to be able to give a review to this company. In less than 6 months this company charge me twice in less than a minute. I have instant access to my account and a dispute has been filled again this company by my bank. Apparently their system recognize my transition due to the previous incident. And system provides and generated a Reversal Credit. That don't show up in the receive. Never use debit or credit cards to pay at this Stores.

Original review: April 23, 2021

This store number 5289 is so well organized and clean compared to some of the other stores. Their selections are always great and of course there are their prices. I love Dollar Tree. The help is also always very professional.

Original review: April 9, 2021

On April 8, 2021 Thursday I, Christopher ** went The Dollar Tree located on 3030 11th St. Rockford, Illinois 61109. To purchase hot dog buns and other supplies for a BBQ at my job. But while eating and readying the hot dogs and other BBQ supplies. I had noticed the two packs of hot dogs I had purchased from The Dollar Tree. WERE MOLDED (actually while me and another co-worker were eating them).

What compensation is The Dollar Tree Incorporated going to offer for this? BECAUSE I WAS EMBARRASSED! AND THAT'S SICKENING. ON TOP BEING A HEALTH HAZARD (who wants to eat moldy bread). Also; the staff that The Tree employs is rude. So I do not wish to travel back to the store with this issue. When I could go directly to the media and your corporate offices.

Attached is proof of purchase. And pictures of the moldy hot buns The Dollar Tree sold me. Be Advised: This is common in your stores (selling moldy bread). And to prove this; I'll be going to another Dollar Tree location in Rockford Illinois and taking pictures of their moldy hot dog buns as well. Thank you for your help and time. And have a wonderful day.

Sincerely: Christopher **

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

It was 8:55pm when I entered Dollar Tree, store #6193 (Hillsborough nj) on 2/22/21. I needed just a few things, one being a simple piece of felt, which I'm certain I've seen there before. I quickly grabbed the other items I needed between 2 aisles that were next to each other. I overheard a woman who I assumed was a customer, by the way she was swearing throughout her conversation (with who she was having the conversation with, I have no idea. Once I saw the older woman the first time she yelled at me about being closed, I realized it was HER voice that I heard, with all the swearing.) and tried asking the younger of the 2 women, if she could help me find the felt.

The older woman heard me, and completely talked right over the younger one, yelling "WE ARE CLOSED" at me, 3 times in a row! So I said, "mam I understand that, and I'm ready to checkout, I just need to know if you even sell felt". She stopped making eye contact with me even, and DEFINITELY was not going to answer my question no matter HOW MANY TIMES I ASKED.

So she's ringing my items up, and I was being as calm as I could at that point, when I asked "do you THINK YOU COULD JUST TELL ME IF YOU SELL FELT, SO I KNOW IF I SHOULD COME BACK IN THE MORNING?" Nope. No response. It was as if I wasn't there, or as if she didn't hear me OR see me. Talk about passive aggressive behavior! I worked in customer service for 5 years, and It didn't matter HOW annoyed I got at a customer, they would've never been able to tell. It didn't matter HOW BAD of a day I might've been having, as far as my coworkers and customers were concerned, It was a delightful day!

I don't know what is happening in this world, but people don't seem to value the work they do anymore, WHATSOEVER. I'm 37 and that older cashier at dollar tree had to be appx 55+? If I know better, then she most certainly should too! I asked the woman for her name, to which I was met with no response, and yet again, not even eye contact. I started getting louder every time I asked and let her know I wasn't leaving the store, until I got her name. She mumbled it to me and I have no clue what she said, but I knew it would be on my receipt. (which I don't normally need, so I typically choose to not print it, but this time I knew I was going to need the info from it.)

The cashiers name is Talat, and because of how unbelievably rude she was to me, I will no longer shop at that dollar tree location. I am an extremely understanding and empathetic person, but there was literally NOTHING that warranted the attitude I received from her, all because I had a question and it was 9:01pm.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

We went to the Dollar Tree on Military Trl in West Palm Beach, what a mess, the line was long, one cashier, other employees just walking around doing nothing, the manager here does not care. He would not open other cashier lanes, made us all wait so long. This store is a mess. The items are cheap and of bad quality. Almost all Dollar Trees are bad. On BBB they have a very bad review and a D+ BBB rating, it makes sense. It is almost impossible to find a good Dollar Tree in the USA, the service is horrible, the lines are long, the stores are trashed, and employees and management do not care. A real mess! Not fun to go to if you want peace.

Dollar Tree Company Information