1.46/5
Based on 78 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Dollar General

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

674 Dollar General Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018 On two occasions I've visited the local Dollar General in Mangum, Oklahoma and the listed sale prices are not ringing up correctly. To add insult to injury the store clerk said I can just buy the product and come back the next day with the receipt to get it corrected but even then it still may not get fixed because it on the vendor.

Terrible customer service...

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Me and my son is banned from the store. Accused me from stealing cat littler. I had cat food from another store. Which Dollar General stop selling it. Now if I step near the door I'm going to jail. I guess the manager don't know the difference. The alarm never came on when I walk by it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

The last past 2 days I've tried to use the 3 off 15 coupons and they are not reading. I love shopping at Dollar General therefore Could someone please fix this problem Asap. The coupons expire on 3/2/2018.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I shop at your store frequently, spending upwards of $100 a week or so. I have never had a rude experience such as today. I asked if my 7 year old child could use the restroom in which we were rudely refused to do so. The keyholder on duty was cocky and rude. I stated that I didn't appreciate her cocky attitude in which she replied that she didn't care. I told her that I had over $100 in the cart and if we were not permitted to use the restroom I would not purchase these items or ever return to that store. Her reply was, "We don't have a public restroom, things change and I don't care if you buy the stuff." I was mad, I dumped the cart over in the middle of the floor and left. 30 minutes later the cops are at my house informing me that I am no longer allowed in Dollar General or I will be arrested for trespassing. No worries, apparently the $5000 plus I spend there on a yearly basis means nothing.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I was at the Dollar General store the other night on West Washington street and I had a very nice man named James help me out. He was very nice. He made me want to come back. I will tell all my family and friends about my experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar General?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I'm new to town and stopped into Dollar General (Wittenburg, Wisconsin) to get things for my home and also for my family. I was welcomed with a smile and wonderful customer service. The person at the cashier was named Heather. She asked me if I needed anything. I actually did and so I asked her for suggestions on products. She was so warm and welcoming and helped me locate everything I needed and also told me what to look forward to in the area. l left the store grateful to have met such a caring individual. I would shop here often.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I slipped and fell in your Dollar General Store October 16th 2017 in Tulsa Oklahoma North Sheridan store. I talked to Tina ** one time and I cannot get back in touch with her. I'm trying not to go through the courts and getting a lawyer and all but it seems like that's what I'm going to wind up doing cause my doctor's bills is getting outrageous. I'm going back and forth about my back. I mean I don't know what else to do so just letting you know. I guess I see you in court.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

October 2017 I entered a Dollar General Store in Georgia. I was there to get snacks for a trip. Once I reached the register, I reached down for a blow pop, I jerked my hand back, because I felt pain. I looked and there was a dirty razor blade stuck in my finger!!! I've been diagnose with major depression and anxiety disorder, so I was freaking out! No band aid, injury report or etc was offered to me. My husband actually had to purchase alcohol and band aids. The cashier pulled out the box to find another razor blade...

Skipping forward... I left my name and number and left to go to Urgent Care where I received a tetanus shot and an order to have my blood tested. Blood work came back ok (for now). The doctor suggested that I get tested yearly for the next 5 years. I was finally contacted and was told several times, "IT'S NO DOLLAR GENERAL'S FAULT!" They failed to realize it's also NOT MY FAULT!

Skipping forward... They offered me crappy $, initially I accepted (I believe I accepted because I was ALWAYS the one contacting them and I was tired), but speaking with my husband made me realized future blood testing is necessary, after I turned down their initial offer and asked to discuss another offer (per his email was okay) for my future testing, they no longer answered my calls, nor my emails! All I hear is, "IT'S NOT DOLLAR GENERAL'S FAULT!" So all future testing will be paid by me!!! They wanted me to shut up, so they threw out a dollar amount that was at best an insult!! A simple trip to the store... WOW.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I called Dollar General in Aliquippa PA to find out if they had Play Station cards because my son was walking there from another store. I was trying to get ahold of someone before my son got there so he wouldn't have had walked there for nothing. I called numerous times and it kept going to a voicemail. What kind of store does not answer their phone? Even if you're busy with customers, at least pick up the phone and put the person on hold until you're available.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Employee told me that you can use one manufacturer coupon per item. I was using the digital coupon for Poise along with Dollar General printed coupon for poise product. She refused it before scan it and said they couldn't take it when this is their coupon. This store is located in Greensboro, Al. The worst store I ever been in.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Walked in the store because I sent my wife in to get some stuff. I dont understand something. Dont you have cameras and dont they at least have something to prove you stoled or did something to tell you never come back. I've never been more insulted before. Mistake or not the woman should be taught manners.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

The main reason there are shipping containers everywhere, they expect you to stock and run register etc. No matter how busy a store is, you are expected to get the stock done. That is why cashiers seem perturbed to help you. Price differences a lot times, price have went up in the system. If nobody prints new signs then it will ring for new price. If they don't take signs down for buy one get one and the sale goes off, the system rings current price. It really is up to the keyholders, managers to give it to you at sale price. Overall good place to shop. They are placed a lot times in rural areas. As an ex - employee, the majority of stores are not alloted enough time to get things done. I felt like I had just fought a war. I at times had to work weeks without time off. After seeing the manager calling in keyholders ON THEIR VACATION TO WORK BECAUSE THE MANAGER DID NOT WANT COVER THE SHIFT.

I knew I did not want to be there too long. I stayed over a year, too long. I once had to work from open until after midnight and then expected to come in at six in the morn. A bad manager. If you have a good manager and DM can be an ok place work. If you have complaints, I would recommend sending complaint to Corporate. They need to give more hours to get thing done and pay more. This is when you will see a change. After working some weeks over 90 hours a week I had it. Send concerns to Corporate. I think there should be a system where employees rate management and DM. They lack common sense. Don't work there unless desperate. Treat their employees bad. With 20 years retail experience worst place I have ever worked. In the South-East here. I hope this helps somebody in the future.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

This store always has boxes in the aisles. So bad that you can barely get around. I have heard other customers complain also... while in the store shopping. This is the store in Grottoes, VA. 24441. I have complained before. Also toys all over the floor of the toy aisle and shelves messy.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I was so excited when a Dollar General opened in my neighborhood, even passed along the news to friends and family that didn’t know of its existence. On many of my visits to this location I think I’ve finally had my last one. Went to see if I picked up a few stocking stuffers for my daughters, came across the aisle where there was blankets and tagged “buy 1 get 1 free”. I said, "Wow. What a bargain?!" Maybe I should of questioned this before actually purchasing. After paying I realized my bill was almost $80 and told myself “wow I really need to stay away from this store.” It was my 2nd purchase within a week of about the same amount. I look over the receipt and realized that the “buy 1 get 1 free” was actually charged twice. I said, no worries I’ll go during the week to ask what happened?

I go there today finally, after work and spoke to one of the managers who then told me to go to another one (Meresly) whom right away I knew it was going to be a bad experience. Why? Because after she acknowledged that I was standing there to speak with her she proceeded her personal conversation on her cellphone and didn’t even ask if I needed help. However, one of her staff members saw me and asked, unfortunately her manager was not as professional. After trying multiple times and explain why was there a tag misleading customers saying “buy 1 get 1 free” in that aisle she continued to give me the worst reasons, never once apologizing.

I did not want my money back, I wanted to know why were people being misled? Obviously not everyone (such as myself) asks why is this such a great deal? What’s the catch? I feel like the store is taking advantage of people and offering false advertisement. For consumers like me and my family, we should of been treated more professionally and given much better explanations. Not her just removing the tag that was in the wrong place, and saying it should of not been there. I will be telling my family and friends about this incident and for them to be more cautious of this place credibility on their products' prices.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Was in the location (store # 11329) approx 13:12. There was a long line, I didn't mind much because it was busy, but the cashier was very RUDE!! No greeting, no smile and complained to a vendor, "Sorry everyone decided to show up at one time, don't figure it happens all the time, when I send someone on break." I had several items including a sweatsuit and another pink sweat hoodie. She wadded up the clothes and stuffed them in a bag. I had to ask her if she was going to remove security tags, she stated she didn't know there were any.

Her demeanor didn't make us feel welcome, like we were interrupting her day. I believe she is a store manager. Tall, salt pepper hair cut short. I believe your business would be better if you can get her attitude in check. This is not the first time I have dealt with the attitude, just thought she was having a bad day the other times. May have to go to another store from now on. Shame. I like Dollar General. Better than Family Dollar.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

We have had several incidents at the Dollar General by our home store located1382 highway 139 store #10062. The first incident our vehicle was hit by another in their parking lot and the employees were of no help with trying to get any camera footage and showed no concern whatsoever. The next incident on a later date there were sale items on sale with the sign listed there directly above the particular item we were intending to buy. When we got to check out and tried to purchase the item it rang full price and the cashier made excuses and implied that we were wrong that that item despite sign and others being there was not on sale. We drive down the road to another dollar general and got the same item for sale price as listed.

And the third incident last night we purchase some items. The cashier gave is a wrong item on one of our items and today we went to exchange the item and despite our receipt again the store refused. I will not spend any more of my money at any dollar general. I will go to Wal-Mart feeds or family dollar on principle and I will make sure that our family friends and others do so as well.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Dollar General #06447 second incident. First time they identify me on camera shoplifting. Sent cop my home. Walked in. No warrant. Old manager fired. Shoplifting. Sent them my house. Need legal aid. I disabled.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I love my local Dollar General store! They have a great variety of almost everything! It's not a mess like I have seen others. I would say I've seen it busy and only have two registers open when there are three but other than that I would recommend shopping here!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I just visited Dollar General Store #1752 and I have never been as insulted and offended in all my life! Upon entering with my children in tow, I wasnt not greeted as per the norm in any retail setting, instead I was TOLD, not asked to leave my bag with my personal belongings at the front! Not only did your employee insult me in front of my children, but in front of a full store as well! I have never known there to be such a policy and do not appreciate being stereotyped! I will NOT spend my hard earned money where I am insulted and not given the same courtesy as several other patrons who had bags as well! I will be contacting the Corporate Office and sharing my experience on every review board I come across! This company has forever lost a customer in me and I will definitely NOT recommend ANY of my friends/family patronize this business!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I used to come to this store because it is near the house but every time I make a purchase, I notice the prices they charged me were $.20-$.50 or more than what is shown on the shelf. Today I made a purchase for a bag of disposable foam brushes priced on the shelf for $1.50/bag but was charged$1.75/bag. I addressed the issue to the cashier but was received with deaf ears. I have no problem companies like Dollar General making profits but it is not right for them to overcharge customers who do not check their receipts on a regular basis. I have had experienced in the past that I was overcharged over $1 for buying several items. If Dollar General overcharges 1M customers for an average $1, they just made $1M they did not deserve to earn. I am pretty sure if the roles were reversed & I rip off others for that kind of money, I will be prosecuted & be in jail now.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Uncanny lowlife security tried to charge me 10.00 extra on my credit card as I checked out. I asked why. They said all the times I stole. I said "I've been in this store. I'm not from here. It's not on camera." They said, "A passerby said they saw you steal ice outside, even though it's not on camera we still have to charge you." I almost smashed the idiot in the head. I would of ended up in prison. Beware of the security. They are needing to set up shoppers and bust innocent shoppers to keep their jobs. Losers???

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I wished could rate ZERO stars. I placed an online order for bulk binders around Oct. 24, but never got an email confirmation receipt. Checked my banking recently, to see that indeed my account was charged the $24 amount for shipping. Well, I called CS about it and they could not locate my order. Tried logging into the DG site, only for my email to be rejected as 'user not found'. I ordered the items back in October, my bank account was charged, and yet no email receipt, and no record of an account in my name? Yeah, I don't think so. And neither CS or the support center for online orders could help me, nor issue me a refund. So I basically got ripped off. Thank GOODNESS it was only $24. I am NEVER ordering from Dollar General again. And based on the 650+ consumer complaints against them, DEFINITELY caveat emptor.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Can someone please tell me why ALL Dollar General stores are so cluttered? Shoppers cannot walk down the aisles without tripping over stock or empty boxes. The only time stores are clean is the first month or so of opening. These stores are fire hazards not only for the customers but also the employees. Maybe I do need to contact our local fire departments to inspect the stores. Would that get the stores cleaned? Let's hope so!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I placed an order online on October 12th. I was notified it had shipped on October 14th. After a week I tried to track the shipment. It looked like it hadn't even left the original terminal? Tried contacting DG at the weekend but they were not available. I tried using their website to determine the order status but their program didn't work. Finally called today and spoke to a Customer Service Rep. At first she told me my order was delivered on the 18th. I told her it wasn't delivered to my address so where was it delivered to? Huge sigh -- pause -- “Oh, looks like it was returned to us because it was damaged!” So I asked why someone hadn't called me to inform me. She had no answer. I asked what happens now? She said it takes about three weeks to process!!! I demanded she cancel the order and issue a credit immediately which she agreed to do. Unbelievable! I didn't even get an apology!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

On 10-18-2017 DG offered 11% discount on purchases to Veterans, Active Military and immediate family members. I was visiting from out of town and went to the DG #7640 in Steelville MO. When I went to check out I let the cashier know I would be using the Veteran's Discount. She said that DG did not give Vet Discount. The night mgr was called. She wouldn't even look at the email from DG and said there's nothing from corporate and if it were true there would be a barcode to scan. Both employees were very rude.

I walked out making no purchase. The discount was verified true at all DG for 10-18-2017 but I lost out on a 11% savings on over $150 if I had checked out. Waiting on a response from corporate. Store's Manager very sorry and both employees will be reprimanded and general manager will be notified by store manager herself today. I made no purchase at this store and by the time I started back home all 4 DG I passed were closed and 2 in my town were already closed so I didn't get my discount due to it a one day only discount. #VETERANSWIFENAVY??? ⚓️

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Today at Store # 06977 I was verbally attacked while checking out. While in the store I was trying to look at items in the school supplies aisle, however the whole aisle was blocked by stocking carts. I decided to take a picture of this issue because the store is always like this. I was going to show the picture to a general manager if they requested it. No employees or customers are in this picture. While checking out an employee approached me and started yelling at me that it's against policy to record in the store. I told I did not record and I took a picture of the carts everywhere. She continued to yell at me saying that they have no room in the storage room etc. She yelled at me in front of my 3 year old child making her feel scared. I asked the employee for her name and then ignored her and paid for my products and left. That is not how you treat customers. So what, now I have to worry about this employee verbally abusing me every time I go in this store!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

On September 26, 2017, I purchased two four twenty ounce packs of Gatorade at the Dollar General Store located 20766 Old Scenic Highway Zachary Louisiana 70792 Totaling $6.18. When I decided I bought the wrong flavor I asked the cashier if I could get the correct flavor. She told me no problem and she told the store manager what I requested. She told me she was going to check out the several customers. I told her that was fine. I picked up the flavor Gatorade I needed 2 Four packs of twelve ounce Gatorade which sold for $2.60 per pack which was $.82 less than what I paid for the 20 ounce.

After the customers checked out I started looking for the manager. He was at the end of the aisle standing. I asked the cashier to get me the store manager because I had an appointment and I was in a hurry. The manager finally came to the register but he never spoke to me. He whispered to the cashier to do an exchange. When I handed my credit card thinking I was getting my refund of $.82, the Cashier told me the store manager did not authorize her to give me a refund. I told her what he did was not legal and I would report him to the Dollar General Store. I did report him that same day, but Dollar General has chose to ignore my email. The way I was treated by the store manager I have decided I will never go back in that store ever again. Good business practice you would think the store sales receipts and inventory should match. I am so disgusted with customer service by the Dollar General Store. Buyers BEWARE!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

My husband and I went into the Dollar General in Brookfield Ohio. My husband went to the register and loaded $400 on a card while I looked in the clearance dep, once he was done we left. An hour and a half later we have a Brookfield police officer knocking on our door accusing me of stealing!!! I have never stole anything in my life! The store associates said I stole cheese nips or some kind of food, and I wasn't anywhere near the food dept.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I live in a very small town in rural Illinois. We don't have a lot of shopping options, however it is a college town, so it's not exactly a sleepy town. Among the things in town is a Dollar General, which has a very high traffic. As a consumer, I went there sparingly, mostly because I've never cared for Dollar General, mostly because the name is annoying. Like, your prices aren't that much less than Walgreens settle down, but the local CVS is outrageously expensive and the nearest Walmart is fifteen miles away. So sometimes I go in there for toiletries.

First of all, the place is a mess. The employees try, I will give them that credit. The management cares, but corporate gives them jack ** to work with. I don't have any complaints about staff but I rarely do. Honestly, I'm just quiet and not the sort for small talk or thinking about something else. So if someone doesn't say hi to me when I enter or much to me during that transaction, I'm not one to notice. While I've never had an issue with my debit card, I know other people have. The equipment is exceedingly old. The registers were made by IBM ffs. Idek if they make modern ones, but I can tell these are at least 15 years old. Astonishing.

Anyway, it's a small town and people talk. While other DGs have been remodeled in nearby towns, there are apparently no plans for this store. Personally I think it's crazy corporate logic ruining everything. They're going to make money and get business regardless of the equipment and how dodgy it can be. Everyone in town shops there because there just aren't many options otherwise, especially if you don't drive or necessarily have the time to plan a day trip to Walmart. It's a messed up situation. Recently, however, their registers have been down a lot and in such a bad state one night the store was closed. I can say that in my town the manager and employees try though they are often very harried and stressed out by the workplace condition. The store is literally falling apart and though there was recently a perfectly fine building for lease on the other side of town, DG declined it because it was "too big". Sad.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

My girlfriend had to recently quit working at Dollar General as a cashier because of 2 reasons. Number 1 her manager wouldn’t schedule her hours until her second job would schedule then overlap her hours. When she would ask to speak to the manager privately the manager wouldn’t so she finally asked the manager why she was overlapping the hours and the manager would yell at her in front of customers and state that her other job will have to reschedule her hours and corporate will not put up with her insubordination whatever that means. 2nd issue here’s an example. She would work 1 day for 5 hrs only receive 19 dollars then same scenario 1 day 5 hrs and receive 58 dollars and change. Her other job pays bi weekly and she receives 267 and change. Now when she worked at Dollar General she would only receive 120 dollars to 150 dollars at part time and minimum wage at both jobs.

Every time she has confronted the manager which has been for 6 months now the manager says she will look into it but never has. When my girlfriend printed out all of her check stubs there was 40 dollars and 60 dollars taken out and the area that states why it was taken out like for medical child support etc. It was blank when she showed it to other employees. They didn’t understand why her check stubs are like this theirs wasn’t. When she showed the manager she only states pay restrictions. Corporate management will not return her phone calls and it has been 3 and a half weeks now. And starting the other day corporate keeps transferring her to other places the hang up on her and she only calls 1 to 2 times a week. I would never recommend anyone to ever seek employment at DG.

Dollar General Company Information

www.dollargeneral.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use