1.48/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 12, 2018

685 Dollar General Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 12, 2018

I had been buying the Medicated Pain Relief Patches for a few years about 3 or 4 months ago. They were staying in place much better and then my most recent purchase box stated New and Improved better flexibility **. Well guess what? They will not even stay on for an hour sometimes less. I quit buying Salonpas Patches for that reason, I was having to put other tape across them to keep them in place and that is not very comfortable.

I'm in a rural area. The DG store is less than 2 miles from me so rather than driving into San Antonio I buy Dairy, Groceries, Pet Food, toiletries, vitamins, detergents and many other things. I was so happy when a store was opened in this area. I am diabetic, and have heart disease and arthritis and psoriasis. My only real complaint is that I still have to go to Walmart for Sugar Free Coffee Creamer and SF Canned Fruit. I was able to buy Glucose Tablets and some SF Cookies and Stevia Pkgs... Please consider going back to the other type of Pain Patches. They were much better. Sorry did not keep receipt but I did purchase 2 boxes.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I come in at least once a week to the same Dollar General # 04282 to purchase items and use coupons BUT the new Employee GREG at STORE # 04282 would not accept any of the 4 coupons I get in the mail from the company. They were not EXPIRED, the Envelope from the company wasn't opened. Greg still insisted the coupons are FAKE from the company. My mail is in a LOCKED PO BOX so NO ONE PUT FAKE COUPONS IN MY MAILBOX. I did not argue, I left my products on the checkout and will not buy at Dollar General ever again after being a customer for 5 years. GREG refused to SCAN the company coupons which would have scanned perfectly as always.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I call in to make a complaint three four weeks ago, Customer Service took down my complaint told me someone will contact me. No one did! I go inside to shop today as I do every day. I go to that store 2 to 3 times a day. I run a youth center So I buy almost everything I need for my center. Employee at other stores know me. That’s how long and how much I shop there! Even the worker at the store where all this happened at talk to me nice laugh with me while I shop. But this lady has treated me like a dog! Today as I was ready to pay for my stuff she tells me, "** we not letting you shop here no more," I say, "What did you call me?" So she calls a boy upfront he a ** boy **. She told me, "Get out. I have him to break your neck if you try me!"

I told her, "Lady I never been to jail or tickets so why would I put my hands on you like that. You are wrong." I walked right out. As I started walking out she say, "** you come back here even in parking lot I have you in jail." ** Some need to call me. I have her record and I will give it to the news so that all 50 states ** want shop at no DG. This time I want a call. I want action. My kid had to hear her call me out my name. She was standing by the hood of the car up by front doors! This same lady I call to report last month just few weeks ago! Customer service you will see my name and my complaint, Ok. I was shopping this ** guy came to her ask where the socks at? So she point and side on 2-3 don’t remember number. Ok. Anyway as guy walk off she tell other work, "** about to steal." But this man had on a work suit. He works. He also paid for 5pk socks! But she didn’t see me.

I push my cart fast by her right after she said it to let her know I heard you!!! Not one ** customer has this woman not attack! She told me DG told her she got permission to tell me I can’t shop there anymore or be in the parking lot ** so DG gave her permission to call me a ** to cause they never call me about my first report on her! 12146 Old Highway 67 Biloxi, MS 39532 United States.

Original review: March 24, 2018

When we were shopping having a good time, trying on shoes the manager of this store actually accused my daughter of stealing!! We are very offended and deeply upset with management of those store. We shop here all the time... Well no longer. I believe we'll go somewhere else to shop next time.

Original review: March 21, 2018

So, me and my baby stroller up to the Dollar General on Crowder. I'll preempt this post by stating the FACT that Walgreens and other stores on tourist-laden Canal Street have folks walking in and around their stores WITH full sized backpacks the size of body bags, yet in other areas of the city, they all but football tackle you, harassing you to "leave your bag (which IS A PURSE AND SIZE OF NORMAL PURSES) at the front of the store that they don't watch, where like one time in Crowder Dollar General, when I left my bag (WITH prescriptions in it that I JUST PAID FOR AT WALGREENS next door) at the front, some crazy ** walked in and STOLE.

OBVIOUSLY, after having to wait a whole hour and a half for Dollar General to close, the security guard had to walk with me TO Walgreens to REBUY my prescriptions I need for my stomach and heart conditions. That was ** up in itself. So anyway, today at the Crowder Dollar General in New Orleans, we walked in to get a few groceries to lay a few days, and some ratchety ** stupid slave for his DG Massa came at me, PUT HIS HANDS ON ME, and had the nerve to call himself ordering me to leave my PURSE at the front.

Further, that male worker came at me with a bigger, country looking, "field hand, house slave, as IF they were gonna do something to me... THAT I COULD SUE THE WHOLE COMPANY FOR, and tell me, "look the cop right there, nah put your bag to the front". That dumb **. The COP, who later apologized for the DG employees, just asked me to wear my purse instead of having it on the stroller (because it is heavy), and that she understands. That's all they should and could have done as well. So, I put it on my shoulder (after all, it BEING A REAL PURSE) then took it right off and put it back on the baby stroller. What they gonna do? Push up and get their ** fired?

They got some nerve harassing me and putting their hands on me, trying to intimidate or threaten me or whatever they think they were accomplishing, especially when I saw 2 people, even with all those store cameras rolling, walk in the store and out with merchandise they stole, while their country ** goon-squad-wanna be DG SLAVES were harassing me about my purse!!! And, unlike a tourist who can fill their entire 'body bag' size full size backpacks and get on a plane, this is not my FIRST time BUYING from this store that I go every week and THEY ALL KNOW FULL WELL I DON'T AND HAVE NEVER STOLEN FROM! They need to STOP that mess. there are people out there that WOULDN'T STOP at just writing a complaint. Employees that out their hands on women should be dealt with and FIRED!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar General?

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have been to two different Dollar Generals lately and at both of them, when we pulled in, there was an employee standing outside the door smoking. I do not smoke and I have small children, so I guess it may bother me more than it does someone who does smoke. It just seems like there would be a rule about this or that the employees themselves would have better sense and move to end the end of the building at least.

Original review: March 14, 2018

The Dollar General in Rembert, SC store manager and other workers refused to accept me using a Green Dot Debit Card. I asked why did I have to tell them what type of debit card I used? The manager said that she was told that I didn't have a job. I decided to call the corporate office because I didn't personally know anyone at this store and I found this to be invasive. But the area district manager told the store manager that I contacted the corporate office and I began to be personally targeted. They would send messages by my husband for me. Tell me that they would see me in the parent pickup line. Call the police if I came to the store like I was bothering them.

But the most devious thing that was recently done was they had a friend at the local Food Lion to tell the manager that I was bothering people there. They told the meat department manager that I'd told them that I wanted him and his girlfriend became upset. Luckily, unbeknown to them I am a secret survey shopper for Food Lion. I am also married. The depths that a stalker will go to to recruit others to do their bidding is scary. Corporate officials should take the concerns of customers more serious.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Employees are lazy and gave bad attitudes. I had just shopped at your new location in Egg Harbor Township on English Creek Rd. I walk in and say good morning to the cashier, I got no response... ok, he’s not a morning person and that’s ok. So at checkout I had a manufacturer's coupon for 4 Lysol products and he looked annoyed. I had to explain the coupon to him and tell him I bought 4 Lysol products so I get the $3 dollars off. He just scanned it... very poor communication and customer service skills. At the end I went to hand him my $5 off a $25 purchase coupon and he said the transaction was already complete.

I asked him if he could re-do the transaction because it’s the main reason I came in. He laughed and said “you’re going to make me return all of this for a $5 coupon?” I said, "Yes, I have two small children at home, every penny counts". To make a long story short... I left embarrassed by the cashier and without my $5. The only way I’d ever return to that store ever again is if the company compensates me for my money.

Original review: March 7, 2018

How does Dollar General expect moms with small infants to shop? The carts have prongs sticking up so you cannot rest the car seat on the top and the basket is just a couple inches too small to put the car seat in. So I have to try to carry a heavy car seat and whatever items I need. It’s impossible! You can’t sit an infant that cannot support themselves in the seat. How are we expected to shop while carrying a car seat?

Original review: March 6, 2018

Purchased a box-set DVD while out of town on 3/3/18. Upon giving, learned it was a duplicate, so agreed to return it to my local DG store on 3/6. The DVD was UNOPENED and in PERFECT FACTORY-SEALED condition when presented for return along with the ORIGINAL RECEIPT. Per their general return policy, this should have been a 'no brainer' and an easy return, given that the item had never opened and as being returned well within the 30-day limit. However, the cashier on duty flatly refused to return the item, simply stating, "We don't accept returns on videos."

Then she mumbled something about if it had been opened, and if they happened to have the same title, then they could. But we weren't complaining about a damaged item-- the item was merely a duplicate and in PERFECTLY SALE-WORTHY CONDITION. So we said, if you can't refund our money, may we have an in-store credit? She had to ask the manager on duty, who also flatly refused!

That obvious lack of generous customer service didn't jibe with prior experiences at DG stores, so I decided to telephone DG customer support to report the issue. A woman with a very thick foreign accent answered the phone. I could tell pretty quickly that she just had a list of questions to get through and wasn't particularly keyed into getting a problem solved! So as not to behave in a rash manner, I decided to open the conversation by asking for confirmation of my understanding of their return policy by asking her to list the "exceptions" to their general returns policy. That simple question apparently threw her a serious communications curveball, because she seemed to have difficulty in identifying any exceptions.

She was able to read the policy, but I don't think that she was adept enough at interpreting it. So, after she read a bit of the script and I confirmed that you can indeed return an item purchased at one store to another and that DVD's are not an exception to their up-to-90 day return policy, I then began to tell the story about how the local store refused the return. She, however, didn't seem to be listening too well, as she sounded like she was still stuck on reading details on the return policy and telling me that I "could return it to another store."

I said that I already understood that, and had tried that, and that was what I was reporting. She just repeated the same thing--again. That's when I said that it shouldn't be up to me as a customer to try to find another DG to return it to. Then I asked to speak with another agent. She said there was no way to transfer the call. Then I asked to speak with a call center manager. After a somewhat long hold, a manager did come on the line, only say, "Hello," and then it was back to the same agent, who then informed me that the manager was busy on another call. I said that I'd be willing to wait on hold to talk with her. The agent said, "No, you can't do that. You have to wait for her to call back." RIDICULOUS. I now have a new and very unfavorable view of DG stores.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I went to the Dollar General for a pack of cigarettes and was told the cash register was stuck and would I please wait. As I was waiting the Chief of Police ordered me outside and proceeded to "banish" me from the store for inappropriate comments to the cashiers. I was never so humiliated in my life. Granted I complimented the cashiers, but I compliment all cashiers, they have a hard job. This was totally inappropriate action IMO. I offered to apologize but no dice. I walk the store, compliment the cashier pay and leave. I do not appreciate being treated this way. For my part I plan on asking every single person I can contact with to boycott this third rate store, I am upset!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018 On two occasions I've visited the local Dollar General in Mangum, Oklahoma and the listed sale prices are not ringing up correctly. To add insult to injury the store clerk said I can just buy the product and come back the next day with the receipt to get it corrected but even then it still may not get fixed because it on the vendor.

Terrible customer service...

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Me and my son is banned from the store. Accused me from stealing cat littler. I had cat food from another store. Which Dollar General stop selling it. Now if I step near the door I'm going to jail. I guess the manager don't know the difference. The alarm never came on when I walk by it.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

The last past 2 days I've tried to use the 3 off 15 coupons and they are not reading. I love shopping at Dollar General therefore Could someone please fix this problem Asap. The coupons expire on 3/2/2018.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I shop at your store frequently, spending upwards of $100 a week or so. I have never had a rude experience such as today. I asked if my 7 year old child could use the restroom in which we were rudely refused to do so. The keyholder on duty was cocky and rude. I stated that I didn't appreciate her cocky attitude in which she replied that she didn't care. I told her that I had over $100 in the cart and if we were not permitted to use the restroom I would not purchase these items or ever return to that store. Her reply was, "We don't have a public restroom, things change and I don't care if you buy the stuff." I was mad, I dumped the cart over in the middle of the floor and left. 30 minutes later the cops are at my house informing me that I am no longer allowed in Dollar General or I will be arrested for trespassing. No worries, apparently the $5000 plus I spend there on a yearly basis means nothing.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I was at the Dollar General store the other night on West Washington street and I had a very nice man named James help me out. He was very nice. He made me want to come back. I will tell all my family and friends about my experience.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I'm new to town and stopped into Dollar General (Wittenburg, Wisconsin) to get things for my home and also for my family. I was welcomed with a smile and wonderful customer service. The person at the cashier was named Heather. She asked me if I needed anything. I actually did and so I asked her for suggestions on products. She was so warm and welcoming and helped me locate everything I needed and also told me what to look forward to in the area. l left the store grateful to have met such a caring individual. I would shop here often.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I slipped and fell in your Dollar General Store October 16th 2017 in Tulsa Oklahoma North Sheridan store. I talked to Tina ** one time and I cannot get back in touch with her. I'm trying not to go through the courts and getting a lawyer and all but it seems like that's what I'm going to wind up doing cause my doctor's bills is getting outrageous. I'm going back and forth about my back. I mean I don't know what else to do so just letting you know. I guess I see you in court.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

October 2017 I entered a Dollar General Store in Georgia. I was there to get snacks for a trip. Once I reached the register, I reached down for a blow pop, I jerked my hand back, because I felt pain. I looked and there was a dirty razor blade stuck in my finger!!! I've been diagnose with major depression and anxiety disorder, so I was freaking out! No band aid, injury report or etc was offered to me. My husband actually had to purchase alcohol and band aids. The cashier pulled out the box to find another razor blade...

Skipping forward... I left my name and number and left to go to Urgent Care where I received a tetanus shot and an order to have my blood tested. Blood work came back ok (for now). The doctor suggested that I get tested yearly for the next 5 years. I was finally contacted and was told several times, "IT'S NO DOLLAR GENERAL'S FAULT!" They failed to realize it's also NOT MY FAULT!

Skipping forward... They offered me crappy $, initially I accepted (I believe I accepted because I was ALWAYS the one contacting them and I was tired), but speaking with my husband made me realized future blood testing is necessary, after I turned down their initial offer and asked to discuss another offer (per his email was okay) for my future testing, they no longer answered my calls, nor my emails! All I hear is, "IT'S NOT DOLLAR GENERAL'S FAULT!" So all future testing will be paid by me!!! They wanted me to shut up, so they threw out a dollar amount that was at best an insult!! A simple trip to the store... WOW.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I called Dollar General in Aliquippa PA to find out if they had Play Station cards because my son was walking there from another store. I was trying to get ahold of someone before my son got there so he wouldn't have had walked there for nothing. I called numerous times and it kept going to a voicemail. What kind of store does not answer their phone? Even if you're busy with customers, at least pick up the phone and put the person on hold until you're available.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Employee told me that you can use one manufacturer coupon per item. I was using the digital coupon for Poise along with Dollar General printed coupon for poise product. She refused it before scan it and said they couldn't take it when this is their coupon. This store is located in Greensboro, Al. The worst store I ever been in.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Walked in the store because I sent my wife in to get some stuff. I dont understand something. Dont you have cameras and dont they at least have something to prove you stoled or did something to tell you never come back. I've never been more insulted before. Mistake or not the woman should be taught manners.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

The main reason there are shipping containers everywhere, they expect you to stock and run register etc. No matter how busy a store is, you are expected to get the stock done. That is why cashiers seem perturbed to help you. Price differences a lot times, price have went up in the system. If nobody prints new signs then it will ring for new price. If they don't take signs down for buy one get one and the sale goes off, the system rings current price. It really is up to the keyholders, managers to give it to you at sale price. Overall good place to shop. They are placed a lot times in rural areas. As an ex - employee, the majority of stores are not alloted enough time to get things done. I felt like I had just fought a war. I at times had to work weeks without time off. After seeing the manager calling in keyholders ON THEIR VACATION TO WORK BECAUSE THE MANAGER DID NOT WANT COVER THE SHIFT.

I knew I did not want to be there too long. I stayed over a year, too long. I once had to work from open until after midnight and then expected to come in at six in the morn. A bad manager. If you have a good manager and DM can be an ok place work. If you have complaints, I would recommend sending complaint to Corporate. They need to give more hours to get thing done and pay more. This is when you will see a change. After working some weeks over 90 hours a week I had it. Send concerns to Corporate. I think there should be a system where employees rate management and DM. They lack common sense. Don't work there unless desperate. Treat their employees bad. With 20 years retail experience worst place I have ever worked. In the South-East here. I hope this helps somebody in the future.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

This store always has boxes in the aisles. So bad that you can barely get around. I have heard other customers complain also... while in the store shopping. This is the store in Grottoes, VA. 24441. I have complained before. Also toys all over the floor of the toy aisle and shelves messy.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I was so excited when a Dollar General opened in my neighborhood, even passed along the news to friends and family that didn’t know of its existence. On many of my visits to this location I think I’ve finally had my last one. Went to see if I picked up a few stocking stuffers for my daughters, came across the aisle where there was blankets and tagged “buy 1 get 1 free”. I said, "Wow. What a bargain?!" Maybe I should of questioned this before actually purchasing. After paying I realized my bill was almost $80 and told myself “wow I really need to stay away from this store.” It was my 2nd purchase within a week of about the same amount. I look over the receipt and realized that the “buy 1 get 1 free” was actually charged twice. I said, no worries I’ll go during the week to ask what happened?

I go there today finally, after work and spoke to one of the managers who then told me to go to another one (Meresly) whom right away I knew it was going to be a bad experience. Why? Because after she acknowledged that I was standing there to speak with her she proceeded her personal conversation on her cellphone and didn’t even ask if I needed help. However, one of her staff members saw me and asked, unfortunately her manager was not as professional. After trying multiple times and explain why was there a tag misleading customers saying “buy 1 get 1 free” in that aisle she continued to give me the worst reasons, never once apologizing.

I did not want my money back, I wanted to know why were people being misled? Obviously not everyone (such as myself) asks why is this such a great deal? What’s the catch? I feel like the store is taking advantage of people and offering false advertisement. For consumers like me and my family, we should of been treated more professionally and given much better explanations. Not her just removing the tag that was in the wrong place, and saying it should of not been there. I will be telling my family and friends about this incident and for them to be more cautious of this place credibility on their products' prices.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Was in the location (store # 11329) approx 13:12. There was a long line, I didn't mind much because it was busy, but the cashier was very RUDE!! No greeting, no smile and complained to a vendor, "Sorry everyone decided to show up at one time, don't figure it happens all the time, when I send someone on break." I had several items including a sweatsuit and another pink sweat hoodie. She wadded up the clothes and stuffed them in a bag. I had to ask her if she was going to remove security tags, she stated she didn't know there were any.

Her demeanor didn't make us feel welcome, like we were interrupting her day. I believe she is a store manager. Tall, salt pepper hair cut short. I believe your business would be better if you can get her attitude in check. This is not the first time I have dealt with the attitude, just thought she was having a bad day the other times. May have to go to another store from now on. Shame. I like Dollar General. Better than Family Dollar.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

We have had several incidents at the Dollar General by our home store located1382 highway 139 store #10062. The first incident our vehicle was hit by another in their parking lot and the employees were of no help with trying to get any camera footage and showed no concern whatsoever. The next incident on a later date there were sale items on sale with the sign listed there directly above the particular item we were intending to buy. When we got to check out and tried to purchase the item it rang full price and the cashier made excuses and implied that we were wrong that that item despite sign and others being there was not on sale. We drive down the road to another dollar general and got the same item for sale price as listed.

And the third incident last night we purchase some items. The cashier gave is a wrong item on one of our items and today we went to exchange the item and despite our receipt again the store refused. I will not spend any more of my money at any dollar general. I will go to Wal-Mart feeds or family dollar on principle and I will make sure that our family friends and others do so as well.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Dollar General #06447 second incident. First time they identify me on camera shoplifting. Sent cop my home. Walked in. No warrant. Old manager fired. Shoplifting. Sent them my house. Need legal aid. I disabled.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I love my local Dollar General store! They have a great variety of almost everything! It's not a mess like I have seen others. I would say I've seen it busy and only have two registers open when there are three but other than that I would recommend shopping here!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I just visited Dollar General Store #1752 and I have never been as insulted and offended in all my life! Upon entering with my children in tow, I wasnt not greeted as per the norm in any retail setting, instead I was TOLD, not asked to leave my bag with my personal belongings at the front! Not only did your employee insult me in front of my children, but in front of a full store as well! I have never known there to be such a policy and do not appreciate being stereotyped! I will NOT spend my hard earned money where I am insulted and not given the same courtesy as several other patrons who had bags as well! I will be contacting the Corporate Office and sharing my experience on every review board I come across! This company has forever lost a customer in me and I will definitely NOT recommend ANY of my friends/family patronize this business!

Dollar General Company Information