1.98/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

727 Dollar General Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

About two nights ago I went in to do a little shopping and while I was looking around a store associate greeted me while offering her assistance if I needed help finding anything. I thanked her and finished up my shopping. When I went to cash out I quickly noticed I had splurged and did not have enough money on me to pay for everything. So we began voiding some items. The same associate who had greeted me earlier was showing me other items that were basically the same as mine just a bit cheaper, trying to bring my total down to a comfortable number. I was very thankful on top of being embarrassed for holding up the rest of the store as long as I had. So then I paid cash for about half, a gift card, and then when I went to slide my debit card it, of course, was not working either, apparently, I had locked my account up earlier that day and was not aware.

I was ready to melt right there and sincerely apologetic. Yet the associate just smiled remaining as calm as could be, making me feel much better as if it was not that big of a deal. Although me working in customer service for 15 years knows that it does gets frustrating when customers come in and not exactly have it together. So then she went to the back and came back with cash in her hand and paid my remaining balance of $5 or $6. I insisted that it was unnecessary, and she told me during the holidays she saw a few acts of kindness from people just to pass it along. I told her I would bring the money back the next day and she said it was unnecessary. I just wanted to take the time out to tell her Thank you again. She was great at her job, and I wish there was some type of award I could give her. She damn well deserves it. Thank you, Stephanie, for being so genuine and a great employee. Dollar General is lucky to have you.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Store #15291 Jackson MS. 2019-01-11 19:09:36. The two cashier were playing, and it smells like alcohol at the front. It was like I was at a club and I do not club or drink. The dark-skinned female sending customers out her line to wait on her friends. I do not think that is fair. Children should stay at home. I really hate to go to that store but I say to myself maybe they have gotten better but to be disappointed they haven't. The dark-skinned female says "I don’t care nothing about it. I works for Nissan". My question is, "Why are you in Dollar General with POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE". The light-skinned Male had his light off at the register so how will the customer know that he were working at the time. This store is so sad.

I have starting going to different Dollar General just to see who has great customer service. McDowell road in Jackson MS and Siwell road in Clinton MS has great customer service. The cashiers acknowledged that you have enter into the store. They do not have loud rap music playing as if they are at home or at a club. Their store are clean and their workers cares about their customers. Cooper Road in Jackson MS is a hot mess, from the store all junkie to the worker o Lynn there for a paycheck and can care less about the customers. Sad but true. I told my husband that we will not spend our money on Cooper Road anymore until they change. What need to done is a mystery shopper should make a visit there.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

The store is in Columbus In. on Jonathon Moore Pike. The employees are friendly. But, the store was a mess. Carts everywhere with merchandise on them. Very difficult to get through the store. Shelves needed to be stocked. The store used to be nice, but it has gone downhill.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I went in the store on the 12/29/2018 at 4:00 pm to purchase a pack of cigarettes. One of the ** cashier told me that I needed a ID to purchase them or anything in the store. I explained to her that I was 57 yrs old with gray hair. She said that it did not matter, because this was Dollar General store policy. The lady behind me (who was **) asked the cashier if she also had to show ID to purchase her cigarettes, and the cashier replied no... She didn't. "I told the cashier that that didn't make any sense" at all, to why she would refuse to sell to me for not having proper identification, but have no problem selling to other customers without proper ID. The lady behind me asked if she could purchase the item for me, and she was told no by the cashier. I asked to speak to the store manager, and the same cashier said that she was the manager. And that she would not ring up anything without me showing her proper ID, because it was company policy.

I asked for the corporate customer service number... She annoyed me and said that she will take the next customer, so I left the store. I tried to figure out why the cashier was so rude to me. When I first parked in the store's parking lot, being handicap/With handicap card all of the handicap lots was full, so I parked at the first accessible van handicap space that adjoined to the handicap parking lane. There was multiple of young ladies seating in a car with no visible handicap card in their rearview mirror. They was in the parking lot lane beside the adjoining van accessible space that I parked in... "Said that where I parked was not a handicap lane and I would need to move." I replied that it was part of the handicap space that wasn't being used and thank you." One of them shouted something about a fire marshall, while I proceeded to go into Dollar General store, after the bad unexplained situation inside the store.

I arrived back at my car. The young ladies begin to laugh and shouted that they liked my dress, along with a sarcasm note they left "saying madam," (but they spelled it mam and they misspelled appropriate too... By leaving out one of the p's "that is not the handicap parking lane..." "That was not appropriate" signed fire marshall bill. I believed they forced or peer pressured the cashier to refuse service to me, by texting or cell phoning her. Corporate needs to do a store investigation or the employees will shut their business down to the ground.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

This complaint is about your store in Rensselaer, Indiana 47878. I had not been to your store in my town in about 3 years and I got the “we don’t give a **” feeling as soon as I walked in the door, because on every cart that people were pushing around including mine, the wheels were squeaking like crazy (and I mean on every cart). You have no idea how disrespectful stuff like this is, because it is a big middle finger to your customers and it says “We just don’t give a ** here, because we are too lazy to even oil the cartwheels”.

So I go around the store and put several items in my cart. When I go to check out, the persons puts my can of “Fix a Flat” in the same bag as one of my 2 liter bottles of soda. I was totaled appalled by this and I took the can of “Fix a Flat” out of the bag and asked for a separate bag for my automotive item. I also had to put it in the bag myself, which really ** me off. As I was leaving the store I had a feeling that I was not given the sale price for the trash bags I bought. When I got home, sure enough I was charged the full price, not the sale price, even though the sale price was posted on your shelf. By this time my blood was about to boil and I called your store and told them a head full.

I do not intend to go back to your store, in my town, ever, because of the described above problems and other things like, all of the prices on your food are way too high and the prices on most of your 2 liter soda is outrageous. We have a Save a Lot in our town, that I go to all the time, and let me tell you they “beat Dollar General‘s ass” on prices every day, on both grocery and dry goods. In closing, I really have to ask, is the manager at your store in my town just as much a lazy worthless slug as the employees there, because it looks like nobody there could care less.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar General?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I shop at the store in Fort McCoy FL and the people Dollar General has working are just unbelievably amazing. They all work so hard. Today I was in there and they all was working very hard and a very rude customer start complaining and throwing a fight because she was second in line. Saying management is terrible talking trash to the employees. The most disturbing thing I’ve seen and to be honest it had me very shocked that a person could act like that. The new store manager they have in there now is just amazing. She works hard. I see her in there every day. I go in sometimes I wonder if she ever goes home. Even the other employees has said she pulls 14 to 25 hours in just a day. Says she work and overnight and then stays for more than half the day. I’m sorry but I don’t think I could do that. She seems very dedicated to this store.

Other customers have to understand the stores going to get worse before it can get better. She might have to get rid of the employees that aren’t doing their job and get new people in there that want to work and do their job and help the store manager out. The store really is changing. Now when I walk in there like today I got a welcome to Dollar General. I was told about the Christmas sales going on. I was asked if I needed help with anything and the same girl that made me feel welcomed checked me out and made sure all of the prices from the sale was correct. Her name was Linda and she is one of the best services I have received from this location and I hope she stays with the store.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I was trying to find a water fountain somewhere so I could get some free water because I didn’t have money on me at the time. While searching for one in the store I asked one of the workers (this one was restocking at the time) if the store had one and she had said it had been out of order for a while but that they had some water bottles in the break room which she would give me for free. I know it wasn’t that big of a deal but I was really thirsty at the time so it meant a lot that I could get some for free. Well definitely shop at Dollar General more often. PS this was the one off highway 49 in Seminary MS.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

The mgr April in 5Points in Tuscaloosa Alabama is a rude witch. I have contacted the corp office and will be contacting a lawyer. She had her stocker follow me in the store. I guess she thought since I was ** I was gonna steal a Dollar gift bag. I been shopping here for several months spending several hundred dollars on cleaning supplies for a company I work for. Never shopping here again. Be mindful April not everyone in Tuscaloosa steals.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I’ve seen pictures on Google reviews and must say they are so outdated. This store has changed dramatically over the past year. Those old pictures are obviously from the slob that ran the store a year ago and the rude staff. I come to this store probably 3-5 times a week and I have to say it’s always clean. The managers are friendly and the staff follows suit. Good job guys!! Keep up the good work and I’ll always come back!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been in this store several times unfortunately. I was in there today and boxes that were sitting in the aisles two to three weeks ago are still there. You can't find anything because stuff is stuffed and stashed everywhere. The food section was more organized but I would look at the expiration dates before I purchased anything that is ingested or can expire. Lines are crazy with 1 register open and eight people in line. They tried to rip me off when I purchased items marked 50 percent off claiming it was the register. Abilene beware. What a filthy rip-off.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

The store (Bryantsville KY Dollar General) is dirty and messy. There is always merchandise sitting in the floor and the floors are always grimy and dirty. The Health Department needs to step in and close this location down. There is usually only one employee working and the lines always seem to back up. The most important thing is that the store is very dirty!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

DO NOT GO TO THE STORE LOCATED @ E. 99TH STREET (AT HOLMES RD). JASZON THE CASHIER IS AN ** AND LINDA, THE MANAGER, IS A STUPID **. They let the good employees go and keep the bad ones. I spend my money where I get good customer service and this store is now on my crap list. And last but not least when I did bring the issue up Linda took up for the cashier. Why would I make several complaints if customer service was up to par? I have nothing to gain by complaining for no reason. Wonder how many other customers feel like I do?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

What is going on in the Stoneville NC store. Since Kathy left. You can't get through the aisles because of boxes. The store wasn't opened one day when I went there. Said it was closed for remodeling. It's done been remodeled. Very disappointed in this whole situation. You need to get a better manager. I won't go up there because you can't get through the isles. And other people tell me it's still that way.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Since we have been shopping at our local store it has gone thru four managers, but this last manager is the worst. The store is ALWAYS dirty. The shelfs are always a disaster. Nothing is where it is marked to be. My grandson tripped on a box sitting on the floor and busted his mouth. We don't take the baby in the store anymore. Just too unsafe for children. This store almost always has three to four employees there but we still stand in line waiting for twenty to thirty minutes waiting to be checked out. This store is just done downhill. We like shopping here but not at our family safety. Please CLEAN up your act Dollar General.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

The Dollar General in Counce TN is disgusting! I’ve never been in a Dollar General this filthy. Someone needs to step in and take care of things at this store. The employees are even dirty and smell horrible. I’ve never seen nothing like it. Who interviewed these people and gave them a job when they can’t even take a bath. This store is across the road from my house but I will drive out of the way to shop elsewhere. Where it’s clean, the employees are clean and friendly.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Millville Delaware - This store is always a mess, my son can never go inside with me to shop. He's in a wheelchair. A lot of people do complain, when they do stoke you really can't shop plus it's nothing but clutter all the time. I complained about this once before, This is very sad. We live in a resort town. Plus if you're in a wheelchair you can forget shopping there.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

They give many excuses for why a payment remains delinquent four months after the service was provided one of their stores. The accounts payable agent keeps telling me she is waiting for the corporate Budget to approve the payment. It should be a non-issue since we were given a purchase order to do the work. It appears they do not treat their service suppliers any better than they treat their customers. I've not had any issues with our local store, but I will not shop there again because I will not patronize Dollar General.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I just returned from shopping at my local Dollar General located in Murphysboro, IL. What a disaster! Many of the aisles were blocked with merchandise in boxes everywhere. Impossible to get through the store without stopping to pick up things all over the floor. Part of the store was blocked off by huge boxes of merchandise and no one was putting the things away. I have never been in a store like this in my life. I want to shop, not pick my way through the store and can't even get to necessary items. Ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I shop at the Dollar General located in Chattanooga TN on Mccallie and Willow. It's always a pleasant experience for me and my kids. The employees are always nice and go the extra mile to help. They are very attentive and patient with us every visit. The store is always neat and orderly, easy find what you need for a quick run to the store. Everyone is always very professional, respectable and polite.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Even though the store on Vimy Ridge store #293 is small, they are always friendly and helpful. Cashier Shannon ** is extremely sweet and thoughtful, helps me find products and helps get things on the highest shelves. She always goes out of her way to help customers and keeps the store clean. Thank you Shannon.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My son and I stopped in at a Dollar General store on Spartanburg Hwy on Aug.31, 2018 for just a couple of items. We stopped going to this particular store a couple of years ago because it was always so crowded and messy. However, on this day we were in a hurry, so we were just going in to purchase our few items and move on with our day. Just as we were getting ready to go to the checkout counter, a policeman yelled at my son and proceeded to put his arms behind his back and parade him to the front of the store. Neither of us had a clue what was happening.

Apparently, a previous customer had told the girl at the checkout counter that she saw "someone" putting items in a Dollar General bag. NO ONE in the store actually saw what happened. Anyway, the police were called, and because my son was on that side of the store was accused of stealing! He had an open shopping basket with his two items that he had some in for in plain view and even offered to be searched. I asked why they didn't look at the security camera footage, and was not given an answer.

After all this public humiliation, the store employee told the policeman to ban him and two other ladies from the store for good! I have requested that the video footage is saved to be reviewed, but have learned that I shouldn't be surprised if that never happens. I have talked with a district manager and customer service at the corporate office, and received a very blasé attitude from both. Apparently, this is an ongoing problem with Dollar General. Rest assured, I will never shop there again. Cheaper prices are not worth being wrongly accused and publicly humiliated!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I asked the cashier why they have a policy of carding old people for tobacco products because I was curious. She became exceedingly rude and argumentative and finally lied straight to my face, saying "Because it's the LAW; I am enforcing the LAW; respect my authority!" I asked her "Why are you being a **?" She said "Get out of MY store and never come back!" I wonder what to do besides worldwide boycott?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I'm an avid LEGAL and LEGIT couponer. I have to say that because folks always assume that most couponers are scammers. I used to go to Dollar General quite often but in the last two months, their systems have been denying their OWN digital coupons, as well as detergent coupons. And it didn't help that the cashier was new and had an attitude when I told him HE was wrong. I've been couponing for YEARS. Dollar General doesn't care about customers trying to save. I call, you all refer me to tech support and they NEVER get back to me. I will just coupon elsewhere from now on.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

The area leadership for Pinellas Park/St Pete/Clearwater FL is outstanding. Their responsiveness is incredible. During the last year, I twice submitted "feedback" as is routinely requested on retail outlets' cash register receipts (something I very rarely do). The first time I reported that a popular item I was hoping to purchase (store brand bottled water) was not on the shelf. Ever since, I have noticed fully stocked shelves - perhaps a coincidence and my feedback never read, but I noticed.

More recently, I shared the incorrect application (at least from my point of view) of a discount policy. That afternoon, I received a voice message from the area manager conveying apologies and inviting me back to the store. This was totally unexpected and extremely impressive. This is how to create "customers for life". To wrap up, this is a company that "listens" and takes action. My feeling is that my modest feedback contributed to their training, merchandising, and customer service. Well done!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have shopped at DG for a long time. I use digital coupons, and spend about $300 a month in the store sometimes more. There is only one DG in our town. The past five times I've gone in to shop have been horrid, I have left full shopping carts the last two times. They hired a horrible woman named Pam she's unmotivated, sloppy, and rude. She acts the like no matter what she says or won't do doesn't matter. I have gone out of my way to be nice. She continues to be rude and hateful so I’ll be shopping at Walmart or Family Dollar as well my friends and family. Thanks for nothing DG. She's costing you lots of money.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

When this store came into our town (Scooba MS) I thought that was great. The manager was good. The store was clean and in order. By now it is dirty. Unkept. The shelves are empty. Can’t get what I want. The employees are sometimes rude and unfriendly. Even they look unkept. I wish this could change. The store could be really handy. I am really disappointed. Thanks for doing something about this.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Store manager is lazy and takes off whenever he wants. He left store early today when I was in store as a customer 2+ hours early to go play "Fiesta Bingo". While 1/4 of the store shelves remain empty, and STOCK is NOT PUT AWAY and the 1 lone cashier upfront is left to do all of the work while lines back up and customers complain. This is routine for the Tucumcari store. Not only should the store manager be absolutely fired, but the district store manager as well as he knows of the store's constant problems and does nothing. Store has revolving door of BAD MANAGEMENT with the current being the worst likely in the store's history. Corporate needs to act!

Original review: July 29, 2018

Cahokia, IL Dollar General should be closed forever, been waiting for someone to reach out to me regarding a complaint over 4 days now, sadly when they did it was the same "district manager" (Karla) who allowed a manager to curse me & smash my belongings & have the cops called because he didn't want to serve me due to a secret crush he had (yes he was a younger guy).

It's no longer "a pat on the back" situation because after going to a different DG (also in Cahokia) this past Monday the manager on duty was dropping "F" bombs because she didn't know anything about the phones that her store carries which BTW never buy a phone from DG. They keep them in stock forever instead of restocking the old ones. I'm currently waiting on a new sim card because the one they had in the phone had expired and the darn company couldn't even generate a phone number. Those phones are old and they knew it!

I finally get a call at 7:30AM. Who calls someone that early on a Sunday unless deep down you were expecting them not to answer?? Welp I answered and she (district manager) was just as rude as her employees arguing with me about the date of my visit, "it was this day" "it's only been this amount of days" blah blah. Are you kidding me!?! Really DG SOMEONE NEEDS TO REDIRECT KARLA.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I've written reviews in the recent past about this location (Dollar General, Island Pond, VT 05846) and I'd like to write another. I don't know who you have managing that store, but that person needs some training, re-training or to be shown the exit. The first impression upon entering is that the place is dirty, unkempt and unorganized...there are boxes and crates of supplies filling most of the aisles, making walking around very difficult. Many of the shelves are completely empty and everything seems shabby and second-class. For comparison, we visited the DG in Lyndonville, VT and were amazed at the differences...where Island Pond is mostly negative, Lyndonville was nearly all positive. Perhaps the Lyndonville Manager should train the Island Pond Manager? Something needs to be done and right away.

Original review: July 27, 2018

For starters, the location of my local Dollar General is literally in view of my bedroom window, how awesome! I stop by like clock work before and after work just to get my daily snacks. There’s never a time I don’t feel welcomed when I’m there. The entire staff helps you from the moment you walk in til the time you leave. The store is neat, clean, and everything is where it’s supposed to be thank God, and if there’s ever a time you need extra help the store manager is on top of it! 37396 Glenwood/Westland MI store.

Dollar General Company Information