3.8/5 (632 ratings)

About Dollar General

Dollar General Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar General?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar General?

Original review: April 15, 2022

I was using my debit card. And it had money on it. And they told me to wait. And there was 3 cashier people there. And 2 register there. And only 1 open so I had to go to the atm machine to GET the money out of the machine.

Original review: April 12, 2022

My daughter and her cousins were stopped and questioned, and according to DG it was because they were in the store for an hour, which is "suspicious" behavior. The associate that was working asked my daughter what is in her pockets, to which my daughter showed and answered, “my phone”. The associate then continued with these girls saying she is “really starting to question what is going on here” because they were looking around, picking things up, and putting them back. You know, what most people do when they are shopping!!! She then proceeded to tell them that “they are looking suspicious, and the little girl has a bag with her.” The sales associate refused to give out any manager contact information until she was pressed over the phone and then I stopped in to get it as well.

I have called the district manager Andrew, who seems to not care at all! Not one apology, not an offer to give their money back, because they STILL bought something after all this, nothing was said or done to rectify this when NOTHING was in their pockets. They stole NOTHING! This SD store simply saw 4 Hispanic kids shopping around and thought “this is suspicious.” I asked Andrew if he would like me to share the recorded part of the conversation to which he said “I guess if you want to you can to help paint your side of the story.”

I then asked I then asked him for the VP of sales contact, because of his lack of caring, and he refused to give me any other contact information and referred me to the DG site to fill out a “contact us” form. I’d like to point out that no one else was stopped while they were in the store, just the 4 little Hispanic girls walking around. They did not steal a thing and continued to purchase something. I will not support this kind of behavior and please ask yourself if this was your kid, would you shop here again?

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I attempted to take leave due to a medical issue that prevented me from standing for long. My claim was denied by one examiner, then replaced with an entirely new examiner days later. I’ve continuously battled for weeks to return to work, but when you have an examiner that isn’t helping you at all, it’s extremely difficult. These reviews aren’t lying when they say this company is a joke.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

I have been a victim of harassment. My wife has been recently had a serious burn so I have the responsibility of doing the shopping so I walk in the Dollar General store to purchase some items for the kids' food product. But I go to check my wallet and my card was left at home so I say to the cashier which was the store manager I have to put items back because my credit card was not with me. He proceeds in a smart manner. "What did you get all this for wasting my time?" he says. I say I'm sorry but he mumbles on.

Today 12/14/2021 me and my close friend had walk in the store to purchase some pizza bagel for the kids, sand gauze for my fiance who just returned home from the burn center. As I grab the items to purchase I was told I had to leave and that I'm no longer allowed in the store. Me or my friend. I proceed to say, "You must have me mistaken for someone else." The cashier and another employee tells us to leave and I say, "Why and what have I've done?" The store cashier tells me that it was for the last time I was in the store. I'm confused because the last time I was there I had left my credit card home and said to cashier, "I'm sorry I can't get the items." So I asked again, "Did I say or do anything to any employee at the store?" She says, "No you didn't." But the other employee starts threatening to call police.

But I ask another question, "So you are banning me for leaving my credit card at home?" I say to them why but I did nothing wrong. I said sorry and left. She said the manager said I could not come back to store. Never again. Now if I'm wrong as saying be ** and how I got treated today was the most stressful moment in my life. No one should get treated this way. Never. I couldn't feed my family or change the bandages for my wife burns because the manager took a personal vandetta out on me. I'm 51 years old and sometimes I forget but I will never forget how I was treated at dollar general. I want this to be publish and action taken now. I will send this to every lawyer newspaper that will see my complaint.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Dollar General Northbrook Blvd North Charleston SC, is extremely understaffed, shoplifting is ridiculously bad, especially in the morning empty wine bottles litter the aisles, you can tell employees are scared. The North Charleston police need to advised of the situation about the theft at this store. Shelves are bare, they hardly ever stay open in the evenings anymore, the trash outside the store is so bad when the wind blows it goes everywhere. Corporate does not Care, or value the safety of its employees.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I spend roughly four hundred dollars a week in this store and yes I can back up my statement with receipts! Today was the straw that broke the camels back! Cashier was a total **! Didn’t bag half my items! The entire time during the transition she’s huffing and puffing and acting like it’s killing her to scan a freaking can of soup! She had half my items on one side of the counter the other half stacked on the turnstile NOT in bags. Again she’s moaning and groaning. I even asked her if she was sick. She didn’t even answer me! I literally would have waited if she needed to use the restroom or something but no she literally has the disposition of a stale piece of bread!!! I will not return to this store… not that they give a **! I have heard them talk crap about other customers who ask about coupons etc… And the store is FILTHY!!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Had wonderful experience shopping at Dollar General today around 9:30 a.m. in Rector, Arkansas. The store was clean, well stocked and in great order. I ask two different clerks where two different items were and they gave great service. It was great shopping experience to be able to find the things I needed in an expedient manner. I really enjoyed shopping there!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

I went to Dollar General located in Southaven, MS. Store on church and near Hwy 51. There was absolutely nothing I was looking for, so I had to improvise. Got the materials and went up to the counter. The male employee was doing everything he can to satisfy his company and customers. They absolutely did not have one bag for me, so he personally made me some bags. He took initiative to go buy bags at Sam's with his own money, so customers would have bags.

I'm a combat veteran and I salute this man and we need more people like him in the business world. He would fit in the military just fine. This man was all over the store doing everything and I mean everything so he would have a job to support his family. This is a hardworking man just trying to put food on the table and roof over their his for his family. This gentleman should be recognized for what he has done and what he's doing. I salute you and I will continue to go to Dollar General because of his kindness and his fight within him. Thank you my friend for helping me with my family.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

This is about store # 18193 Old Town Fla. This store when opened was a god sent and was always stocked and organized. It now is not even worth stopping. Shelves always empty, filthy parking lot carts at the end of the building instead of by the door. This all happened when PAM the original manager got fed up with your lack of business & employee needs and left. This store is a joke and a inconvenience. And they blame you. We all who live here really need that store but it is not even worth going there anymore. You should keep a better watch on your stores.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

The store on the corner on Winn and Remus Rd said they opened at 10 but when I arrived there was a lady standing outside looking in to see if anyone would come unlock the doors. When I walked up there were store lights on but the doors were locked. Tried to call and it just went to voice mail. There should have been a sign saying you were closed for the day. Or if someone was there it would have been nice for the doors to be open.

Dollar General Company Information