1.55/5
Based on 70 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

692 Dollar General Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

The woman with dark hair that runs the place during the day is a horror. I have seen her belittle young employees in front of me as a customer in line. I have used my receipt to alert DG already to no avail. I had $68.00 worth of items in my cart Friday around 12:45 pm. I asked her after ringing me up if Pepsi sale price came off. Her response, “I don't know. Discount price doesn't show up.” I asked who would know. She responded, “Do you know original price?” No I was trusting signs. Then I proceeded to ask if Poptart 2 for $5 came off... again she snarls at me she doesn't know. "Discounts not itemized." she says. I endure her talking to me so disrespectfully, until I ask if Doritos sale price came off, since they were 2 for $5...

She proceeds to yell at me with cart full of bags and 4 customers (some my neighbors) in line no, “Why do you care you didn't even buy 2”. I most certainly did. That is when I lost my patience with her nastiness, which I have endured there from her before. (Which I alerted DG customer service) Left it all there and told her very calmly how mean she is and I'd prefer to purchase my $68 worth of items elsewhere. Her aim was to humiliate me. She did not. However, Kingshighway, Cherry Hill DG aisles always cluttered with boxes on pallets. Employees never stay. Store is close, but a mess. Manager thinks it is ok to disrespect customers who are in there regularly. After several complaints DG must think it is ok too.

Original review: June 15, 2018 Dollar General 8111 W Beaver St, Jacksonville, FLFL 32220. If you want rude service and to be treated like you are bothering the employees while you are spending your money, this is the place to shop. You will get consistently rude service without a smile, a hello or a thank you. The manager is the worst offender.

How he got a management position is beyond me. He has ZERO PEOPLE skills and is just a rude person. Some of the cashiers are friendly but they are few and far between. I honestly do not even know why I shop there. Would love to complain to someone above this guy...

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My husband and I went to the grand opening of the Dollar General in Sharptown MD today. We received a flyer in our mail several days earlier that stated a free tote bag and tumbler would be given to the first 200 adults that are 18 or older. Additionally, the flyer stated a free $10 gift card would be given to the first 50 adults that are 18 or older. My husband and I got in line around 7:25 am until we were allowed to enter the store at 8:00 am. Upon entering the store and receiving the $10 gift card, it was stated by the manager that the gift cards are 1 per family, which is not what was advertised.

My husband and I are thankful for the free $10 and we will happily spend that amount, but no more than $10. Many of the customers entering the grand opening were surprised to learn that the gift card allotment was 1 per family. My husband and I were really looking forward to having a store so conveniently close to where we live. However, the false advertising has turned us away from Dollar General stores for life.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I had told them when they first opened that I was going to be a Dollar walker. I had recent back surgery and needed to walk but couldn't afford to go out of town to do it. Tyler the manager told me I could walk all I wanted to. But this last week I had bought some clothes and they were too small so I returned them and the woman (Lou) helped me because they were too high for me to reach. After two trips and each time she greeted me with a smile and was very helpful. I got three tops and three capris for $85 dollars. How wonderful. I'm so elated that we have this new store because now I can get most of my groceries here and not have to drive 12 miles to get them. Thank You Dollar General.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I recently visited the Dollar General store in Flint Michigan at 115 Pierson Road Flint Michigan 48505. This store was so filthy and nasty... I seen a mouse on the Shelf. I seen mice feces on the floor... I couldn't even stand to be in there a few more seconds... upon leaving I seen that the workers were being mistreated and abuse by the male manager, he was rude and disrespectful, show misconduct, and cursed at employees while customers were there. After leaving the store I filed a complaint with customer service as well as the Department of Labor. BOYCOTT DOLLAR GENERAL FLINT MI, 115 Pierson Road.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar General?

Original review: May 14, 2018

This morning when I had entered the Dollar General store here in the city of Columbus and the state of Georgia to purchase a couple of items from store #14458 located at 2301 Cusseta Road in Columbus, Georgia 31903 phone # 706-405-2007... I had purchased nine cans of chunky sirloin burger with vegetable soups priced at $1.95 each, one packaged of Eckrich links priced at $2.95, Velveeta sliced cheese priced at $2.75, one loaf of Sunbeam white bread priced at $2.95, two pints of Breyers Rolo ice cream and one pint of Breyers drumstick ice cream priced at $5.00 and three boxes of toast pastry priced at $1.00 each... My subtotal should have been $34.20 and my tax should have been $1.37 so therefore, my total amount should have calculated out to $35.57.

The ** female cashier that is always playing around like a two year old adolescent had deliberately counted ten cans of chunky sirloin soups when in fact, I had only purchased nine can of chunky soups bringing my total to $37.60 overcharging me $2.03 to be exact!!! Then this same cashier had the audacity to boast and brag about cheating me out of my money to her co-workers and to the other customers that were in the store... she had also stated that if I reported her that nothing was going to happen to her!!! So I proceed to write a complaint to the Dollar General headquarters in Tennessee only to be told that they are sorry for my bad experience... that was not a bad experience because I have been cheated by the same store numerous of times!!! In fact, the things that those employees are doing in that particular Dollar General store is being did intentionally to me!!!

Original review: May 2, 2018

629 Ronald Reagan Pkwy, Davenport, Fl 33896 - Management, are you aware that this store looks like a bomb went off inside. Every time I go in this store, I struggle to get down the aisles because items are falling off the shelves, carts to restock shelves are parked at the end of each end cap on every aisle, and items are out of place. Is anyone managing this store? I used to be a vendor so I’ve gone into all kinds of stores to stock and order product. This store is so disgusting and dangerous. Today there were at least three step stools in the aisles just waiting for someone to trip over them. No employee in sight. I took several pictures of examples of this disastrous store. Please send someone from headquarters to fix this ongoing problems. You are losing business from many locals who enjoy the convenience of this discount store.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I had been buying the Medicated Pain Relief Patches for a few years about 3 or 4 months ago. They were staying in place much better and then my most recent purchase box stated New and Improved better flexibility **. Well guess what? They will not even stay on for an hour sometimes less. I quit buying Salonpas Patches for that reason, I was having to put other tape across them to keep them in place and that is not very comfortable.

I'm in a rural area. The DG store is less than 2 miles from me so rather than driving into San Antonio I buy Dairy, Groceries, Pet Food, toiletries, vitamins, detergents and many other things. I was so happy when a store was opened in this area. I am diabetic, and have heart disease and arthritis and psoriasis. My only real complaint is that I still have to go to Walmart for Sugar Free Coffee Creamer and SF Canned Fruit. I was able to buy Glucose Tablets and some SF Cookies and Stevia Pkgs... Please consider going back to the other type of Pain Patches. They were much better. Sorry did not keep receipt but I did purchase 2 boxes.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I come in at least once a week to the same Dollar General # 04282 to purchase items and use coupons BUT the new Employee GREG at STORE # 04282 would not accept any of the 4 coupons I get in the mail from the company. They were not EXPIRED, the Envelope from the company wasn't opened. Greg still insisted the coupons are FAKE from the company. My mail is in a LOCKED PO BOX so NO ONE PUT FAKE COUPONS IN MY MAILBOX. I did not argue, I left my products on the checkout and will not buy at Dollar General ever again after being a customer for 5 years. GREG refused to SCAN the company coupons which would have scanned perfectly as always.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I call in to make a complaint three four weeks ago, Customer Service took down my complaint told me someone will contact me. No one did! I go inside to shop today as I do every day. I go to that store 2 to 3 times a day. I run a youth center So I buy almost everything I need for my center. Employee at other stores know me. That’s how long and how much I shop there! Even the worker at the store where all this happened at talk to me nice laugh with me while I shop. But this lady has treated me like a dog! Today as I was ready to pay for my stuff she tells me, "** we not letting you shop here no more," I say, "What did you call me?" So she calls a boy upfront he a ** boy **. She told me, "Get out. I have him to break your neck if you try me!"

I told her, "Lady I never been to jail or tickets so why would I put my hands on you like that. You are wrong." I walked right out. As I started walking out she say, "** you come back here even in parking lot I have you in jail." ** Some need to call me. I have her record and I will give it to the news so that all 50 states ** want shop at no DG. This time I want a call. I want action. My kid had to hear her call me out my name. She was standing by the hood of the car up by front doors! This same lady I call to report last month just few weeks ago! Customer service you will see my name and my complaint, Ok. I was shopping this ** guy came to her ask where the socks at? So she point and side on 2-3 don’t remember number. Ok. Anyway as guy walk off she tell other work, "** about to steal." But this man had on a work suit. He works. He also paid for 5pk socks! But she didn’t see me.

I push my cart fast by her right after she said it to let her know I heard you!!! Not one ** customer has this woman not attack! She told me DG told her she got permission to tell me I can’t shop there anymore or be in the parking lot ** so DG gave her permission to call me a ** to cause they never call me about my first report on her! 12146 Old Highway 67 Biloxi, MS 39532 United States.

Original review: March 24, 2018

When we were shopping having a good time, trying on shoes the manager of this store actually accused my daughter of stealing!! We are very offended and deeply upset with management of those store. We shop here all the time... Well no longer. I believe we'll go somewhere else to shop next time.

Original review: March 21, 2018

So, me and my baby stroller up to the Dollar General on Crowder. I'll preempt this post by stating the FACT that Walgreens and other stores on tourist-laden Canal Street have folks walking in and around their stores WITH full sized backpacks the size of body bags, yet in other areas of the city, they all but football tackle you, harassing you to "leave your bag (which IS A PURSE AND SIZE OF NORMAL PURSES) at the front of the store that they don't watch, where like one time in Crowder Dollar General, when I left my bag (WITH prescriptions in it that I JUST PAID FOR AT WALGREENS next door) at the front, some crazy ** walked in and STOLE.

OBVIOUSLY, after having to wait a whole hour and a half for Dollar General to close, the security guard had to walk with me TO Walgreens to REBUY my prescriptions I need for my stomach and heart conditions. That was ** up in itself. So anyway, today at the Crowder Dollar General in New Orleans, we walked in to get a few groceries to lay a few days, and some ratchety ** stupid slave for his DG Massa came at me, PUT HIS HANDS ON ME, and had the nerve to call himself ordering me to leave my PURSE at the front.

Further, that male worker came at me with a bigger, country looking, "field hand, house slave, as IF they were gonna do something to me... THAT I COULD SUE THE WHOLE COMPANY FOR, and tell me, "look the cop right there, nah put your bag to the front". That dumb **. The COP, who later apologized for the DG employees, just asked me to wear my purse instead of having it on the stroller (because it is heavy), and that she understands. That's all they should and could have done as well. So, I put it on my shoulder (after all, it BEING A REAL PURSE) then took it right off and put it back on the baby stroller. What they gonna do? Push up and get their ** fired?

They got some nerve harassing me and putting their hands on me, trying to intimidate or threaten me or whatever they think they were accomplishing, especially when I saw 2 people, even with all those store cameras rolling, walk in the store and out with merchandise they stole, while their country ** goon-squad-wanna be DG SLAVES were harassing me about my purse!!! And, unlike a tourist who can fill their entire 'body bag' size full size backpacks and get on a plane, this is not my FIRST time BUYING from this store that I go every week and THEY ALL KNOW FULL WELL I DON'T AND HAVE NEVER STOLEN FROM! They need to STOP that mess. there are people out there that WOULDN'T STOP at just writing a complaint. Employees that out their hands on women should be dealt with and FIRED!!!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have been to two different Dollar Generals lately and at both of them, when we pulled in, there was an employee standing outside the door smoking. I do not smoke and I have small children, so I guess it may bother me more than it does someone who does smoke. It just seems like there would be a rule about this or that the employees themselves would have better sense and move to end the end of the building at least.

Original review: March 14, 2018

The Dollar General in Rembert, SC store manager and other workers refused to accept me using a Green Dot Debit Card. I asked why did I have to tell them what type of debit card I used? The manager said that she was told that I didn't have a job. I decided to call the corporate office because I didn't personally know anyone at this store and I found this to be invasive. But the area district manager told the store manager that I contacted the corporate office and I began to be personally targeted. They would send messages by my husband for me. Tell me that they would see me in the parent pickup line. Call the police if I came to the store like I was bothering them.

But the most devious thing that was recently done was they had a friend at the local Food Lion to tell the manager that I was bothering people there. They told the meat department manager that I'd told them that I wanted him and his girlfriend became upset. Luckily, unbeknown to them I am a secret survey shopper for Food Lion. I am also married. The depths that a stalker will go to to recruit others to do their bidding is scary. Corporate officials should take the concerns of customers more serious.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Employees are lazy and gave bad attitudes. I had just shopped at your new location in Egg Harbor Township on English Creek Rd. I walk in and say good morning to the cashier, I got no response... ok, he’s not a morning person and that’s ok. So at checkout I had a manufacturer's coupon for 4 Lysol products and he looked annoyed. I had to explain the coupon to him and tell him I bought 4 Lysol products so I get the $3 dollars off. He just scanned it... very poor communication and customer service skills. At the end I went to hand him my $5 off a $25 purchase coupon and he said the transaction was already complete.

I asked him if he could re-do the transaction because it’s the main reason I came in. He laughed and said “you’re going to make me return all of this for a $5 coupon?” I said, "Yes, I have two small children at home, every penny counts". To make a long story short... I left embarrassed by the cashier and without my $5. The only way I’d ever return to that store ever again is if the company compensates me for my money.

Original review: March 7, 2018

How does Dollar General expect moms with small infants to shop? The carts have prongs sticking up so you cannot rest the car seat on the top and the basket is just a couple inches too small to put the car seat in. So I have to try to carry a heavy car seat and whatever items I need. It’s impossible! You can’t sit an infant that cannot support themselves in the seat. How are we expected to shop while carrying a car seat?

Original review: March 6, 2018

Purchased a box-set DVD while out of town on 3/3/18. Upon giving, learned it was a duplicate, so agreed to return it to my local DG store on 3/6. The DVD was UNOPENED and in PERFECT FACTORY-SEALED condition when presented for return along with the ORIGINAL RECEIPT. Per their general return policy, this should have been a 'no brainer' and an easy return, given that the item had never opened and as being returned well within the 30-day limit. However, the cashier on duty flatly refused to return the item, simply stating, "We don't accept returns on videos."

Then she mumbled something about if it had been opened, and if they happened to have the same title, then they could. But we weren't complaining about a damaged item-- the item was merely a duplicate and in PERFECTLY SALE-WORTHY CONDITION. So we said, if you can't refund our money, may we have an in-store credit? She had to ask the manager on duty, who also flatly refused!

That obvious lack of generous customer service didn't jibe with prior experiences at DG stores, so I decided to telephone DG customer support to report the issue. A woman with a very thick foreign accent answered the phone. I could tell pretty quickly that she just had a list of questions to get through and wasn't particularly keyed into getting a problem solved! So as not to behave in a rash manner, I decided to open the conversation by asking for confirmation of my understanding of their return policy by asking her to list the "exceptions" to their general returns policy. That simple question apparently threw her a serious communications curveball, because she seemed to have difficulty in identifying any exceptions.

She was able to read the policy, but I don't think that she was adept enough at interpreting it. So, after she read a bit of the script and I confirmed that you can indeed return an item purchased at one store to another and that DVD's are not an exception to their up-to-90 day return policy, I then began to tell the story about how the local store refused the return. She, however, didn't seem to be listening too well, as she sounded like she was still stuck on reading details on the return policy and telling me that I "could return it to another store."

I said that I already understood that, and had tried that, and that was what I was reporting. She just repeated the same thing--again. That's when I said that it shouldn't be up to me as a customer to try to find another DG to return it to. Then I asked to speak with another agent. She said there was no way to transfer the call. Then I asked to speak with a call center manager. After a somewhat long hold, a manager did come on the line, only say, "Hello," and then it was back to the same agent, who then informed me that the manager was busy on another call. I said that I'd be willing to wait on hold to talk with her. The agent said, "No, you can't do that. You have to wait for her to call back." RIDICULOUS. I now have a new and very unfavorable view of DG stores.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I went to the Dollar General for a pack of cigarettes and was told the cash register was stuck and would I please wait. As I was waiting the Chief of Police ordered me outside and proceeded to "banish" me from the store for inappropriate comments to the cashiers. I was never so humiliated in my life. Granted I complimented the cashiers, but I compliment all cashiers, they have a hard job. This was totally inappropriate action IMO. I offered to apologize but no dice. I walk the store, compliment the cashier pay and leave. I do not appreciate being treated this way. For my part I plan on asking every single person I can contact with to boycott this third rate store, I am upset!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018 On two occasions I've visited the local Dollar General in Mangum, Oklahoma and the listed sale prices are not ringing up correctly. To add insult to injury the store clerk said I can just buy the product and come back the next day with the receipt to get it corrected but even then it still may not get fixed because it on the vendor.

Terrible customer service...

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Me and my son is banned from the store. Accused me from stealing cat littler. I had cat food from another store. Which Dollar General stop selling it. Now if I step near the door I'm going to jail. I guess the manager don't know the difference. The alarm never came on when I walk by it.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

The last past 2 days I've tried to use the 3 off 15 coupons and they are not reading. I love shopping at Dollar General therefore Could someone please fix this problem Asap. The coupons expire on 3/2/2018.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I shop at your store frequently, spending upwards of $100 a week or so. I have never had a rude experience such as today. I asked if my 7 year old child could use the restroom in which we were rudely refused to do so. The keyholder on duty was cocky and rude. I stated that I didn't appreciate her cocky attitude in which she replied that she didn't care. I told her that I had over $100 in the cart and if we were not permitted to use the restroom I would not purchase these items or ever return to that store. Her reply was, "We don't have a public restroom, things change and I don't care if you buy the stuff." I was mad, I dumped the cart over in the middle of the floor and left. 30 minutes later the cops are at my house informing me that I am no longer allowed in Dollar General or I will be arrested for trespassing. No worries, apparently the $5000 plus I spend there on a yearly basis means nothing.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I was at the Dollar General store the other night on West Washington street and I had a very nice man named James help me out. He was very nice. He made me want to come back. I will tell all my family and friends about my experience.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I'm new to town and stopped into Dollar General (Wittenburg, Wisconsin) to get things for my home and also for my family. I was welcomed with a smile and wonderful customer service. The person at the cashier was named Heather. She asked me if I needed anything. I actually did and so I asked her for suggestions on products. She was so warm and welcoming and helped me locate everything I needed and also told me what to look forward to in the area. l left the store grateful to have met such a caring individual. I would shop here often.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I slipped and fell in your Dollar General Store October 16th 2017 in Tulsa Oklahoma North Sheridan store. I talked to Tina ** one time and I cannot get back in touch with her. I'm trying not to go through the courts and getting a lawyer and all but it seems like that's what I'm going to wind up doing cause my doctor's bills is getting outrageous. I'm going back and forth about my back. I mean I don't know what else to do so just letting you know. I guess I see you in court.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

October 2017 I entered a Dollar General Store in Georgia. I was there to get snacks for a trip. Once I reached the register, I reached down for a blow pop, I jerked my hand back, because I felt pain. I looked and there was a dirty razor blade stuck in my finger!!! I've been diagnose with major depression and anxiety disorder, so I was freaking out! No band aid, injury report or etc was offered to me. My husband actually had to purchase alcohol and band aids. The cashier pulled out the box to find another razor blade...

Skipping forward... I left my name and number and left to go to Urgent Care where I received a tetanus shot and an order to have my blood tested. Blood work came back ok (for now). The doctor suggested that I get tested yearly for the next 5 years. I was finally contacted and was told several times, "IT'S NO DOLLAR GENERAL'S FAULT!" They failed to realize it's also NOT MY FAULT!

Skipping forward... They offered me crappy $, initially I accepted (I believe I accepted because I was ALWAYS the one contacting them and I was tired), but speaking with my husband made me realized future blood testing is necessary, after I turned down their initial offer and asked to discuss another offer (per his email was okay) for my future testing, they no longer answered my calls, nor my emails! All I hear is, "IT'S NOT DOLLAR GENERAL'S FAULT!" So all future testing will be paid by me!!! They wanted me to shut up, so they threw out a dollar amount that was at best an insult!! A simple trip to the store... WOW.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I called Dollar General in Aliquippa PA to find out if they had Play Station cards because my son was walking there from another store. I was trying to get ahold of someone before my son got there so he wouldn't have had walked there for nothing. I called numerous times and it kept going to a voicemail. What kind of store does not answer their phone? Even if you're busy with customers, at least pick up the phone and put the person on hold until you're available.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Employee told me that you can use one manufacturer coupon per item. I was using the digital coupon for Poise along with Dollar General printed coupon for poise product. She refused it before scan it and said they couldn't take it when this is their coupon. This store is located in Greensboro, Al. The worst store I ever been in.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Walked in the store because I sent my wife in to get some stuff. I dont understand something. Dont you have cameras and dont they at least have something to prove you stoled or did something to tell you never come back. I've never been more insulted before. Mistake or not the woman should be taught manners.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

The main reason there are shipping containers everywhere, they expect you to stock and run register etc. No matter how busy a store is, you are expected to get the stock done. That is why cashiers seem perturbed to help you. Price differences a lot times, price have went up in the system. If nobody prints new signs then it will ring for new price. If they don't take signs down for buy one get one and the sale goes off, the system rings current price. It really is up to the keyholders, managers to give it to you at sale price. Overall good place to shop. They are placed a lot times in rural areas. As an ex - employee, the majority of stores are not alloted enough time to get things done. I felt like I had just fought a war. I at times had to work weeks without time off. After seeing the manager calling in keyholders ON THEIR VACATION TO WORK BECAUSE THE MANAGER DID NOT WANT COVER THE SHIFT.

I knew I did not want to be there too long. I stayed over a year, too long. I once had to work from open until after midnight and then expected to come in at six in the morn. A bad manager. If you have a good manager and DM can be an ok place work. If you have complaints, I would recommend sending complaint to Corporate. They need to give more hours to get thing done and pay more. This is when you will see a change. After working some weeks over 90 hours a week I had it. Send concerns to Corporate. I think there should be a system where employees rate management and DM. They lack common sense. Don't work there unless desperate. Treat their employees bad. With 20 years retail experience worst place I have ever worked. In the South-East here. I hope this helps somebody in the future.

Dollar General Company Information