3.61/5

747 Dollar General Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 16, 2019

I realized after I had entered the store that I had forgotten to bring their usual weekly "$5 off $25" coupon on the receipt from the purchase I made earlier in the week. There were lots of good bargains to choose from, including clearance items in the toy department. When I got to the register I explained to the cashier that I had forgotten my coupon. She cheerfully said she'd extend the $5 discount anyway, seeing that it was a big purchase over $25. Checkout was smooth, and the sale/clearance items came up at the proper posted prices. There was no haggling, no having to try to convince anyone that sale items were indeed on sale and no having to take an employee by the hand and lead them to an aisle to show them where a sale sign is posted! What a relief! And what a pleasure to be able to buy items at reasonable prices for the actual prices as posted!

I give my best regards and thanks to the management and staff at the store for conducting business in an honest, competent and customer-friendly way! I realize that this level of service and cooperation with the customer may not reflect what goes on at other DG stores. (I've had more than one unpleasant experience at some other locations.) I hope that what I have experienced most recently is a sign of overall improvement at DG stores and a sign of better things to come for customers.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

About two nights ago I went in to do a little shopping and while I was looking around a store associate greeted me while offering her assistance if I needed help finding anything. I thanked her and finished up my shopping. When I went to cash out I quickly noticed I had splurged and did not have enough money on me to pay for everything. So we began voiding some items. The same associate who had greeted me earlier was showing me other items that were basically the same as mine just a bit cheaper, trying to bring my total down to a comfortable number. I was very thankful on top of being embarrassed for holding up the rest of the store as long as I had. So then I paid cash for about half, a gift card, and then when I went to slide my debit card it, of course, was not working either, apparently, I had locked my account up earlier that day and was not aware.

I was ready to melt right there and sincerely apologetic. Yet the associate just smiled remaining as calm as could be, making me feel much better as if it was not that big of a deal. Although me working in customer service for 15 years knows that it does gets frustrating when customers come in and not exactly have it together. So then she went to the back and came back with cash in her hand and paid my remaining balance of $5 or $6. I insisted that it was unnecessary, and she told me during the holidays she saw a few acts of kindness from people just to pass it along. I told her I would bring the money back the next day and she said it was unnecessary. I just wanted to take the time out to tell her Thank you again. She was great at her job, and I wish there was some type of award I could give her. She damn well deserves it. Thank you, Stephanie, for being so genuine and a great employee. Dollar General is lucky to have you.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I shop at the store in Fort McCoy FL and the people Dollar General has working are just unbelievably amazing. They all work so hard. Today I was in there and they all was working very hard and a very rude customer start complaining and throwing a fight because she was second in line. Saying management is terrible talking trash to the employees. The most disturbing thing I’ve seen and to be honest it had me very shocked that a person could act like that. The new store manager they have in there now is just amazing. She works hard. I see her in there every day. I go in sometimes I wonder if she ever goes home. Even the other employees has said she pulls 14 to 25 hours in just a day. Says she work and overnight and then stays for more than half the day. I’m sorry but I don’t think I could do that. She seems very dedicated to this store.

Other customers have to understand the stores going to get worse before it can get better. She might have to get rid of the employees that aren’t doing their job and get new people in there that want to work and do their job and help the store manager out. The store really is changing. Now when I walk in there like today I got a welcome to Dollar General. I was told about the Christmas sales going on. I was asked if I needed help with anything and the same girl that made me feel welcomed checked me out and made sure all of the prices from the sale was correct. Her name was Linda and she is one of the best services I have received from this location and I hope she stays with the store.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I was trying to find a water fountain somewhere so I could get some free water because I didn’t have money on me at the time. While searching for one in the store I asked one of the workers (this one was restocking at the time) if the store had one and she had said it had been out of order for a while but that they had some water bottles in the break room which she would give me for free. I know it wasn’t that big of a deal but I was really thirsty at the time so it meant a lot that I could get some for free. Well definitely shop at Dollar General more often. PS this was the one off highway 49 in Seminary MS.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

The area leadership for Pinellas Park/St Pete/Clearwater FL is outstanding. Their responsiveness is incredible. During the last year, I twice submitted "feedback" as is routinely requested on retail outlets' cash register receipts (something I very rarely do). The first time I reported that a popular item I was hoping to purchase (store brand bottled water) was not on the shelf. Ever since, I have noticed fully stocked shelves - perhaps a coincidence and my feedback never read, but I noticed.

More recently, I shared the incorrect application (at least from my point of view) of a discount policy. That afternoon, I received a voice message from the area manager conveying apologies and inviting me back to the store. This was totally unexpected and extremely impressive. This is how to create "customers for life". To wrap up, this is a company that "listens" and takes action. My feeling is that my modest feedback contributed to their training, merchandising, and customer service. Well done!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar General?

Original review: June 10, 2019

While shopping for hair products on June 7, 2019 I kept being watched. I was finally asked if I needed help and I replied no. After buying my items and attempting to leave the store the alarm went off. The associate/manager apologizes and takes two items out of my bag and runs them over the scanner again. In my second attempt to leave the store the alarm goes off again. “Misty” the associate/manager asks if she can look through my purse and I told her that she could not. I stated that I didn’t take anything and that she is going to have to review the cameras. That is when she said she was going to call the cops because she didn’t believe me.

I stood there as she called the cops and stated that she had a “shoplifter” at the store who was a “** female.” I was disguised and then said, “Why didn’t you say that you have a possible shoplifter because I told you to that I didn’t take anything and to check the cameras?” She then said that she heard what I said and that she didn’t believe me. I then asked, "If I stole something why would I still be here?" That is when she said she’s seen it happen several times. At that point I said I wouldn’t know because I don’t steal! I made a phone call to let someone know what was going on and while I’m on the phone Misty jumps in my phone conversation and says “Oh we have the tapes.”

A few minutes later while I’m talking Misty tried to hand me my bag and says, “You can go.” I said, "Excuse me?" That is when she said, "You can go" and place my bag on the floor next to the door. I said, “No I’m going to wait for the cops.” Misty then said that the cops weren’t coming. At that moment a gentlemen walks from the back as if he was actually upset. I asked if he was a manager and he stated he was a General Manager. I told him that I was waiting for the cops. He asked, "What cops?" I replied, "Well didn’t Misty call the cops?" He simply replied “I don’t know.” I said, "Well can you ask her?" He asked Misty if she called the cops and she said they weren’t coming.

I then asked his name and he told me it was Chris. I then asked for the name of the person who was above him. He gave me a name of someone named David. He spoke quickly so I didn’t catch the last name. He said it would never reach him though because he was actually the one who handled all complaints and that the situation would be handled on the back end. That is when I stated that Misty owed me an apology. Chris said the he was apologizing on her behalf as she continued to ring out customers as if nothing had happened.

I also told him that I wasn’t picking up my bag that she put on the floor like I was a dog. Chris then picked up the bag and handed it to me. I then asked Chris if he had ever been accused of stealing? He replied no. I stated neither have I and that my first time being wrongly accused of something so belittling. I let him know that I asked her to check the cameras before calling the cops. I told him that he needs to inform his employees to check the cameras first before they accuse, embarrass and belittle people and I walked out of the store in utter disbelief.

Original review: June 10, 2019

The other day my dad and I went to the Dollar General to pick a up a few items. We go there pretty often and know the employees names and faces. While we were there a employee (who will be unnamed for privacy reasons) walks up to my dad and accuses him of stealing. Mind you I was with my dad the whole time and he didn't even do anything that would even look like stealing. So we ask the lady to see the camera of course and she says no. So we say, "Where is your evidence?" She says "I have suspicion." Now my dad is "thrown" out of the Dollar General and not supposed to come back. I will never waste my time on their store again. Rude employees...

Original review: June 9, 2019

I shop at the Dollar General on south side in Paducah KY and more often than not when I get home with my items something is missing that I paid for. Today I went & bought a few items, 7 to be precise, & when I got home I was missing one item. All of the other items were in one bag, food, hair color & makeup all in the same bag, everything except one package of Tuna Creations, and to top it off when I called 12 times every time I got a recording telling me they were busy serving other customers & to call back then it just hangs up. This has got to be the most unprofessional way to treat customers.

If i go back today I will probably be in jail, if a company that has as many stores as they do can't afford to have more than one person working then there's a problem somewhere, greed instead of service. Can't even have someone who can answer the damn phone or train their help to give the customers all their bags. They may be saving money by not having but one employee in the store, but their mistakes are costing the customers more money & time for their negligence.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I was doing the gain sale they have on the newspaper and when I went to ring up the worker named 'Cathy' that works at the Dollar General on N Middlebelt Rd store #13537 was being very rude. I had two coupons and she said I couldn't use them although it said one on each per purchase. She was making it a big deal saying that Dollar General couldn't accept them, when I've never had a problem at any other Dollar General. This is the third time she has been rude only because she doesn't want me to use my coupons.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I always shop the store in Spruce Pine NC at 6159 Hwy 19e Store# 16504. I always go every couple of weeks and every single time I go there I find outdated products on their shelves which is ridiculous. 2 weeks ago when I was in there I found 5 outdated Miracle Whip in the plastic squeeze bottle now of them was from May 2018 so almost 1 year outdated. Then the time before that it was Clover Valley Graham crackers and like 3 boxes of them one of them was from 2017. Then yesterday I went there and purchased a container of cottage cheese mixups.

Well lo and behold I brought it home and ate about half of it and then noticed of course it was outdated by over 2 weeks which is disgusting. I was debating about eating some of it because when I opened the foil lid on it it kind of made a noise but then I thought but it smells okay so I tasted it and it was okay. This was all before I noticed it was outdated. Well last night my stomach was upset and had diarrhea so I'm afraid that it was from the cottage cheese. I've complained to them before about this and even took outdated items to the counter but it doesn't seem to be working to get them to check their products on their shelves. The next step I guess I will do is report them to the Board Of Health because this is out of control.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Mold found in 24 pack of Diet Pepsi 12 oz cans from Dollar General in Alden, NY 14004. Pepsico now has it and they tested it... They stated a can of pop did not open inside the packaging BUT that food somehow slipped through the handle of the packaging during delivery/shipping or at store and that it has been there a while... I ended up in the emergency room on 4/13/19 with severe asthma exacerbation and was put out of work for 2 weeks while struggled to breathe due to the mold I was exposed to in 24 pack of Diet Pepsi sold at Dollar General in Alden, NY.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Can’t believe I just popped into your store in Reidville, SC. Your young store clerk proceeded to strike up a conversation with me about **' and then went through the entire process about how you would go about making them and to which he added 'I know a few things about that stuff'.’ I think he had a few hits on the bong right before his shift started.

Original review: April 20, 2019

My lady and I shopped at the Dollar General located at 1311 Noccalula Rd, Gadsden, AL 35904 several times. The last time we were there I noticed a blond male employee (only one male and one female employee working) staring at my lady several times while pretending to work at the end of the food aisle. I just kept it cool as my baby is a stunning woman and many men stare when they first see her. It was only when we walked to the checkout line that this employee decided to run over and open a second register Right when my lady and I were next in line.

As we stood there together he flirted and smiled at her while ringing her up. We were standing there together but I needed to purchase something separately. He handed her a receipt, turned the light off and walked away as I placed my item on the counter. He was just being petty and childish. He rang up one person and then left. Now I had to get back in line while my baby waited for me, ice cream melting. As we finally sat down in the car I looked up and saw this creepy guy staring out the window at us trying to see what type of automobile we drove. Just a straight dead stare. No facial expression. There was plenty for him to do inside the store since it was almost closing time and they only have two workers. Somehow I kept myself from showing him my middle fingers.

My baby and I have not been back to that store. The whole experience was very scary and shocking frankly. He had a creepy schizophrenic stare. Like he just didn't get it. It was not normal. I see the normal looks all the time. The guy was very disrespectful. I am a physician and my lady is a college professor so we are use to a higher level of respect and professionalism. Get it together DG. That type of behavior is bad for business. We gladly drive further to another grocery store now. Be careful sending your lady to this store, especially alone.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Why is it that DG will not hire a maintenance man in South Carolina. I really do not like public restrooms but when you have to you have to, unless you are at DG, I am a senior and have been told at about every DG store the John is out of order. Come on now. Do these punk they hire really think people are that stupid. I know some people make a mess in there but that does not apply to everyone, I have been told out of order so much by most DG that I think it is their corp policy.

Maybe we should boycott DG till this changes or maybe just piss in the floor in front of the restroom door, lol. Now that would be a good one. The latest refusal was at the store in Latta SC where I was told to go across the street to IGA. Only problem was I was their customer not IGA customer. Maybe next time I will be though.

Original review: April 13, 2019

There's been an ongoing issue with an employee at the Dollar General in Latta, SC. I've been shopping at Dollar General for years and this employee just started working there in January of 2019. This employee already had an issue with me prior to getting hired at Dollar General, but she still brought it to work whenever I when come in there to shop. The very first incident was when I walked up the register (I had no idea she was working there at first. Just saw the light was on) and when this employee saw me, she said "I don't like her," turned her register light off and walked away. One of the managers were on duty and she did absolutely nothing when me and the employee had a small argument. An employee was on BREAK but had to clock in to ring me up since the other employee wouldn't assist me and the manager wouldn't assist me for some reason. It was unreal.

I've visited the store 4 more times since that incident and the employee would always use profanity loud when she saw that I was in earshot of her and say indirect remarks. I've reported this incident multiple times and on Thursday, my daughter talked to the General Manager about it again and he assured her that he would take care of it. He ended up banning me and my daughter from the store just to protect the employee since they are friends and the general manager is actually MARRIED to the Chief of the Latta Police Department which I think played a role in them protecting this rude employee. Don't ever shop here at this location if you expect to be treated fairly when one of their rude employees disrespect you. I'll never shop at Dollar General again and I will be writing a final letter to corporate before I try to bring this to the news.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I go to store #17788, whenever I go to the store during peak 85% of the time there is one cashier. Whenever you ask for help they react like you are bothering you, the manager is the main one, I know her name if you need it. She only will go out of her way with certain people. They change personnel so often that you cannot get use to the same face - only the rude manager face. If things do not change I will drive the extra few miles to pay less and have a much better select and friendlier faces.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Yesterday (March 14), I went the extra mile to get front-page advertised whole chicken at the Dollar General Market in Crossville, TN. No whole chicken was available, and when I asked for a rain check, none was given. Pure bait-and-switch. Dishonest store. When a store puts out a weekly flyer to lure people in and then refuses to honor the ad, it seems to me it ought to be illegal (I thought it was). However, the 'manager' pointed out to me the fine print on the lower edge of the back of the ad saying that "All products, styles and colors shown may not be available in all stores" and "No rain checks available". In other words, the ad was a worthless enticement. The company can advertise anything and not deliver as they please.

Original review: March 4, 2019

On 3/4 around 1135am, I was involved in an unpleasant experience. I purchased a bottle of 100ct **, 25sq. ft. of foil and an energy drink. I was prompted for cash back via machine in front of me and clicked 40 dollars. For the first time ever, as soon as the register opened, the cashier told me, "Oh well you didn't tell me you wanted cash back." I told her, "Why would I have to?" I was asked through the machine. She said, "Oh well I might not have any change in the drawer." I then notified the cashier that it wasn't my problem. I notified the manager of this situation as well.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The stores that I have visited are very dirty, disorganized. Dollar General using bait and trick to get customers in the store to not honor digital coupons and targeting the poor and physically disabled in bait and switch.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Wakefield NE 68784 - When I learned we were to get a Dollar General store in our town I was excited, however, it has turned out to be a huge disappointment! This store is always cluttered with carts full of cardboard or merchandise! The shelves and aisles are in disarray! There is frequently only one employee in the store which is ludicrous to think one employee can be expected to do everything! I have been told by an employee that corporate management will only allow a certain number of hours and one employee most of the time! This store gets a lot of customers but could have so many more if they would take care of their staff and store! I pray that Corporate Management will 'get a clue' and realize their net gain will be greatly improved by taking care of their employees and in turn their customers!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

If you shop this store you must question every price. It's obvious they deceive customers by putting cheaper prices under items more expensive. The prices posted can be for a size they never carry. Racks of items with up to % off. The entire rack will have very few markdown items. A "clearance" section will be full of items that are full price. OBVIOUS INTENTIONAL FRAUD!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I frequent the Dollar General two to three times a week. Always very busy. Employees always nice... ** is the one that keeps this store up and running. He is always nice, professional and goes the extra mile to make your shopping an easy stress free trip. Have shopped at other Dollar Generals but always come back to the one at 1553 Whiskey Rd in Aiken... for the fast, friendly service... Only thing missing here is an up to date store like the other Dollar Generals in the area... or a new one in the area... of Southside Aiken. Wouldn't shop at a new one unless I can follow my friendly, hardworking workers that so many have grown to appreciate for their loyalty to the customers they serve.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

2/1/19 at about 5:20 pm - At the 2130 S. Broad street store in Trenton, NJ. The store let a customer walk around the store with their dog. I tried to move away and the lady kept saying "He doesn't bite" as she is pulling him back and kept letting the leash out about 10 feet from her in the small store. I got out of line to get away from the dog. Then she came around the store with the dog again. The store clerk did not ask her if she had a license to bring that dog in. The lady did not care who she upset over the dog. The cashier looked confused as to what to do. There was no reason why the young man could not take the dog outside while the lady did her shopping. I don't want shop with animals. I am certain it is not a service dog. So I will not shop for food with dogs - in your stores. Shame, I like the store other than that.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Why does Dollar General park their shopping carts outside in unacceptable weather conditions. Handles are so cold or hot to touch. Unacceptable to keep shopping carts outside in 20 degree weather. I would think they would want carts comfortable for shoppers to shop and fill them up. Walmart & Dollar Tree keep their carts inside and out of the Weather.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Store #15291 Jackson MS. 2019-01-11 19:09:36. The two cashier were playing, and it smells like alcohol at the front. It was like I was at a club and I do not club or drink. The dark-skinned female sending customers out her line to wait on her friends. I do not think that is fair. Children should stay at home. I really hate to go to that store but I say to myself maybe they have gotten better but to be disappointed they haven't. The dark-skinned female says "I don’t care nothing about it. I works for Nissan". My question is, "Why are you in Dollar General with POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE". The light-skinned Male had his light off at the register so how will the customer know that he were working at the time. This store is so sad.

I have starting going to different Dollar General just to see who has great customer service. McDowell road in Jackson MS and Siwell road in Clinton MS has great customer service. The cashiers acknowledged that you have enter into the store. They do not have loud rap music playing as if they are at home or at a club. Their store are clean and their workers cares about their customers. Cooper Road in Jackson MS is a hot mess, from the store all junkie to the worker o Lynn there for a paycheck and can care less about the customers. Sad but true. I told my husband that we will not spend our money on Cooper Road anymore until they change. What need to done is a mystery shopper should make a visit there.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

The store is in Columbus In. on Jonathon Moore Pike. The employees are friendly. But, the store was a mess. Carts everywhere with merchandise on them. Very difficult to get through the store. Shelves needed to be stocked. The store used to be nice, but it has gone downhill.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I went in the store on the 12/29/2018 at 4:00 pm to purchase a pack of cigarettes. One of the ** cashier told me that I needed a ID to purchase them or anything in the store. I explained to her that I was 57 yrs old with gray hair. She said that it did not matter, because this was Dollar General store policy. The lady behind me (who was **) asked the cashier if she also had to show ID to purchase her cigarettes, and the cashier replied no... She didn't. "I told the cashier that that didn't make any sense" at all, to why she would refuse to sell to me for not having proper identification, but have no problem selling to other customers without proper ID. The lady behind me asked if she could purchase the item for me, and she was told no by the cashier. I asked to speak to the store manager, and the same cashier said that she was the manager. And that she would not ring up anything without me showing her proper ID, because it was company policy.

I asked for the corporate customer service number... She annoyed me and said that she will take the next customer, so I left the store. I tried to figure out why the cashier was so rude to me. When I first parked in the store's parking lot, being handicap/With handicap card all of the handicap lots was full, so I parked at the first accessible van handicap space that adjoined to the handicap parking lane. There was multiple of young ladies seating in a car with no visible handicap card in their rearview mirror. They was in the parking lot lane beside the adjoining van accessible space that I parked in... "Said that where I parked was not a handicap lane and I would need to move." I replied that it was part of the handicap space that wasn't being used and thank you." One of them shouted something about a fire marshall, while I proceeded to go into Dollar General store, after the bad unexplained situation inside the store.

I arrived back at my car. The young ladies begin to laugh and shouted that they liked my dress, along with a sarcasm note they left "saying madam," (but they spelled it mam and they misspelled appropriate too... By leaving out one of the p's "that is not the handicap parking lane..." "That was not appropriate" signed fire marshall bill. I believed they forced or peer pressured the cashier to refuse service to me, by texting or cell phoning her. Corporate needs to do a store investigation or the employees will shut their business down to the ground.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

This complaint is about your store in Rensselaer, Indiana 47878. I had not been to your store in my town in about 3 years and I got the “we don’t give a **” feeling as soon as I walked in the door, because on every cart that people were pushing around including mine, the wheels were squeaking like crazy (and I mean on every cart). You have no idea how disrespectful stuff like this is, because it is a big middle finger to your customers and it says “We just don’t give a ** here, because we are too lazy to even oil the cartwheels”.

So I go around the store and put several items in my cart. When I go to check out, the persons puts my can of “Fix a Flat” in the same bag as one of my 2 liter bottles of soda. I was totaled appalled by this and I took the can of “Fix a Flat” out of the bag and asked for a separate bag for my automotive item. I also had to put it in the bag myself, which really ** me off. As I was leaving the store I had a feeling that I was not given the sale price for the trash bags I bought. When I got home, sure enough I was charged the full price, not the sale price, even though the sale price was posted on your shelf. By this time my blood was about to boil and I called your store and told them a head full.

I do not intend to go back to your store, in my town, ever, because of the described above problems and other things like, all of the prices on your food are way too high and the prices on most of your 2 liter soda is outrageous. We have a Save a Lot in our town, that I go to all the time, and let me tell you they “beat Dollar General‘s ass” on prices every day, on both grocery and dry goods. In closing, I really have to ask, is the manager at your store in my town just as much a lazy worthless slug as the employees there, because it looks like nobody there could care less.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

The mgr April in 5Points in Tuscaloosa Alabama is a rude witch. I have contacted the corp office and will be contacting a lawyer. She had her stocker follow me in the store. I guess she thought since I was ** I was gonna steal a Dollar gift bag. I been shopping here for several months spending several hundred dollars on cleaning supplies for a company I work for. Never shopping here again. Be mindful April not everyone in Tuscaloosa steals.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I’ve seen pictures on Google reviews and must say they are so outdated. This store has changed dramatically over the past year. Those old pictures are obviously from the slob that ran the store a year ago and the rude staff. I come to this store probably 3-5 times a week and I have to say it’s always clean. The managers are friendly and the staff follows suit. Good job guys!! Keep up the good work and I’ll always come back!!

Dollar General Company Information