2.30/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

114 Costco Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I purchased 1 year of MoviePass from Costco. When I realized that the service was not what was promised at time of purchase, I tried to cancel my subscription and get a refund from Costco. After being promised a full refund on three separate occasions (via telephone customer service department), I only received a partial refund of $15. I was outright lied to just to get me off the phone and each time the balance of the refund never posted to my credit card.

I understand the MoviePass's problems are not Costco's fault. However, that's why I chose to purchase from a trusted source, where I had an executive membership. On my purchase order, and explicitly in the terms of my agreement with Costco, it states that I can purchase with confidence and that I'm covered by a 100% risk-free guarantee on merchandise and services. There are certain exclusions, such as electronics, but these do not apply to the MoviePass service.

I get it, Costco got shafted because MoviePass totally lied about their service and a bunch of customers lined up for refunds. I'm one of them. Except, I came later in the process where Costco decided to try and recoup their losses by making up lame reasons why they can't give me a refund (such as "Our policy changed"). Sure, your internal policy may have changed but there is no public record of that. If Costco is selectively applying their guarantee policy, it should be re-branded: "Beware when you shop with us because our policy is 100% risk-free...except when we change our minds..." I generally have had good experience with Costco and I don't abuse the policy. I've seen people return one apple. That's not me.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I was falsely led to believe I'd receive a $60 cash card for simply signing up and being approved for a credit card. I was there waiting for at least 30 minutes. In that time the woman kept trying to get me to upgrade, thats fine. It's her job to do that but I told her I'm only here for cheap gas and auto batteries. I wont be buying much so an executive card will be a waste. She still kept asking while we were waiting, it was New Years and super busy. She kept asking if I was sure I didnt want a credit card. I said no I dont need anymore. She still asked me if I was sure. She eventually said if I signed up now I'd get a 60$ cash. But she made it clear and I asked her more than once that it'd be a cashcard sent in the mail. It was all clear because it was an amazing deal that I wanted to be sure it was amazing because it paid for the membership. I didnt mistake anything, neither did my husband standing next to me.

The keywords that emphasize the hustle are TODAY only, I had to sign up and get approved now for the card. Anyways I got sent A ten dollar card. My husband thought theyd just send more. I talked to the store today and all the supervisor said was he's very sorry. I made no mistake. There was a sign on the counter that said that was for the higher priced card and he pointed at that, but that is absolutely not what the cashier told me. I'm not into getting folks in trouble at work especially if it was a misunderstanding, but it was no misunderstanding. I dont know what that lady gets for upsales if anything. And Who knows if the sales folks are pressured into upsales but I do not like being blatanly lied to. It's even more annoying cause the lady was so nice. I'm completely turned off by this company. I always thought they were decent cause they pay workers well but they are up to some shenanigans. I'm done with them.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was in need of a new tv so I visited Costco.com and selected the Samsung 50 inch for 379.99. I then visited the store in Lantana where the 59 inch Samsung tv was with a sign of 379.99. I grabbed the tv and headed to the checkout where the price rang up 429.99. Got the manager involved and he said that was the floor model only. The sign was clearly in the right spot with 15 TVs under it. Called customer service and Issac did not care and told me to take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Our local Sam’s Club closed so we decided to try out Costco. It’s definitely not all it’s cracked up to be - to say the least. Many of their products are low quality with a somewhat high price tag. The membership costs 15 more per year than Sam's Club. There are no aisle labels whatsoever. There are aisle numbers, but no description of what is in each aisle. My guess is they eliminate aisle descriptions so that you have to wander around the store to find what you’re looking for (and therefore spend more $$$).

They have a non-transferable policy and they enforce it. Do not try to use someone else’s card - even if they are a family member or you live in the same house. I made that mistake once. Tried to use my grandma’s card (she had just had surgery so she stayed home). The way the employee acted you woulda thought I was stealing! The employee made a mountain out of a molehill for sure. I explained why I was using her card and she wasn’t having any of it. Rude! To top it off, I only had 1 item...not a cart full. I get why the policy is there, but it seems a little silly that people in the same household (with the same address on their driver’s license) can’t use the same card. Very disappointed. Will now be making a little trip (about 20 minutes) to go to the Sam’s Club on the other side of town.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Costco has been my favorite store until today. I found out, in a very humiliating way, that Costco clerks write comments about customers who return products. I found out I had return produce after the "Best used by" date, and had negative comments on my profile. I found out that every time you return (not sure if you buy as well) something, these comments pop up, no matter what store or city or even state you are, and these comments follow you for the rest of your life with Costco. How humiliating, and what a good way to lose your customers, Costco! Remember, Costco is a shop that takes pride on their return policy, but some overzealous employees are using these comments as they wish.

I have had a couple of spats with a couple of returning clerks, who wanted to give me their "2 cents" on how to avoid returning, and this is their revenge against me. Only because there is a personality mismatch, or a bad chemistry, or a bad vibe with a certain employee, you get stuck with these comments, just because they can!!! It reminded me of Elaine Benes' doctor chart from Seinfeld, besides that this is not funny, but very humiliating indeed! I was appalled today when I returned an item and after that, I skipped shopping at Costco today. Just to think that I gave them over $120K worth of business in 2017 (I have not seen my 2018 report as of yet)!!! What a way to lose a customer - still shocked! If I ran my business like they do, I would have failed! I do not think many customers know this, but my mission now is to make this public.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Costco?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I ordered a few products from Costco and got 2 of them. The 3rd one was pending for days on end and when I called, they said it has not been picked up by the shipping carrier and they do not think it will be any time soon. We requested a refund and they were happy to do it. They did not give me the refund and when I call, they do not seem to know anything and say that nothing can be done. No mention of my product or my money. I suggest that you do not buy from Costco online or you're just going to waste your money and time.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Costco has always been my favorite store - until October of 2018. I ordered a refrigerator online and had the worst experience ever - took two months to resolve because of bad information given to me by the concierge service. In the end, I spent 26 hours and an additional $1,200 to resolve this. I thought it may be a fluke, so I ordered 2 photo throws for family this past Christmas. I placed the order on Dec. 14th and one of the throws were delivered on Dec. 18th. I wasn't certain of what had happened so I called Costco. There I was treated rudely by someone from India (I think). All she would say is the other one is on the way and would arrive by Christmas.

Not satisfied that she understood what had happened, I called Pure Country Weavers since they delivered the first one. They told me that Costco screwed up and sent an order for only one the first time. They told me Costco caught the mistake and send the 2nd order. They also told me that it would come before Christmas. It didn't. After Christmas, I called Costco and demanded a refund. They asked me to jump through several hoops and this infuriated me. What happened to the Costco I used to know?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

If I could put zero stars, I would. I called Costco and told them that my mom was very ill and was not able to go to the store to get food for my family. So, I asked if I could use her membership because she is not able to get out of bed and they said no. So because of them, I was super inconvenienced and had to go all over to get everything my family needed. Extremely disappointed in how inconsiderate the man on the phone was towards my situation. Any thought of getting a Costco membership in the future is now gone, and now my mom will be canceling her membership as well. Overall super disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I’ve been purchasing Costco bacon for a while now. The “thick sliced center cut hickory smoked bacon (made from European pork belly)" to be exact. I always enjoyed how thick and tasty it was but the last two times it has been abnormally salted, literally inedible. My husband and I are both on the Keto diet so we eat loads of bacon, but this time around it was difficult to swallow it or even mix it with anything else. Not to mention, it was mostly All fat!! I am quite disappointed. I wanted to write to the company but only phone number listed is to Costco in general. Will not be buying this again. Beware if you have sodium intake concerns.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I find Costco prices to be excellent although they do slip up on some products but are usually very competitive. Their return policy is amazing. Almost too good with customer returning products that have been obviously well used and there are no questions asked. This irritates me at times because I feel Costco is being taken advantage of but apparently the supplier of the product is the one who losses out in the long run not Costco. That's how Costco keeps their prices so competitive.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I purchased 3000$ furniture via Costco online on Nov 14th 2018. Till date (Jan 1st, 2019), Costco cannot give me a definite date as to when the furniture will arrive. The Costco reps for the most part are friendly and apologetic. They all give me a standard answer that a "supervisor" from the escalation department should be calling me. No such calls. In the meantime, a nasty review I wrote about this unpleasant buying experience was "moderated" by Costco and rejected since they feel they are not responsible for delivery delays. Hello? You are the ones in charge of taking the order AND shipping it out to the customer. Off-late, customer service at Costco is going down the drain. I have been a Costco member for 20+ years. I will be taking my business to either BJ’s or Sam’s shortly.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

My friend thought she was doing me a favor by picking up a twelve pack of Kirkland paper towels at Costco for me. Kirkland is supposed to care about quality and only sell the best products. Well if they care so much why does every roll of the paper towel pack smell like turpentine! It is disgusting. Pick one up and sniff it if you don't believe me. It's shocking.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I read many things on Costco and on their name brand, Kirkland. Love their steaks and meat department and special they have. Was a member of BJ, except it is companies brand and just not into cutting coupon out. Sam's Club, only one time a member.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

When their specials prices go up on certain special items not all locations have same price. They keep going and going up with prices and they keep moving items around the store so they make hard to find. But since they said we go to them they don't care.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

First let's talk about the trouble with parking, they lay out the parking lot to be the most difficult. The prices are not a great value even though the size of the items are much larger than you need. To check out will require you to bring a book to read. Extreme long lines and people with cats overflowing.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Online shopping - The representative was extremely rude and asking personal questions that did not pertain to the matter at hand. She was not helpful, and she did not act in a manner that a representative should. I have been a loyal customer of Costco since 2004 actually an executive member but was treated like a number that no one cared about. I will not be their customer anymore. They failed at customer service!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

My daughter added me to her membership since she just graduated college and was moving back home. She told me this was done and we would finalize it when her move was complete. Until then she gave me her card to use until I could officially get my own. Wowie— call the National Guard, 911, Air Marshall, Attorney General... you would have thought I committed a Federal crime. I have never been treated so badly or humiliated by anyone like they did... making a huge spectacle of the situation. I have worked retail for almost 20 years and never would I dream of treating anyone like they do... Honestly their membership is not all that and I would NEVER become a member now. So in closing — SO GLAD I HAVE A SAM'S CLUB. :)

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I like both quantity and prices. Even home appliances are more of a savings than Target or home goods. There are so many great brands at lower prices than Ross or Marshalls. Give it a try. I'm not kidding.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

On December 28th at 10:30am, Costco had a dishwasher delivered that the delivers drivers broke upon arrival when they dropped another dishwasher on top of it. They said they couldn't do anything and that we needed to call Costco. They asked if we wanted to keep the broken dishwasher. Of course we declined for we paid for one that wasn't broken. After two hours worth of phone calls, they said they could deliver one in 6-8 weeks with a $50 refund or refund the purchase. After waiting three weeks for the dishwasher in the first place, two hours on the phone, taking time off work for the delivery (since you can't schedule it), and a migraine later, they said their delivery service was not their problem. Let me tell you, NEVER buy ANY appliance from Costco. You are way better off going to Home Depot or Lowe's. Never again will I buy from Costco.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Costco flowers live up to the Costco reputation for value and quality. I have ordered from them a number of times and they never fail to please. The flowers last a long time, are very healthy, and delivery is as promised.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Every article of clothing we buy from Costco has a strong oily/mildewy odor and is almost impossible to eliminate. We’re at the point now of only buying gas there since discount clothing is useless when it smells so bad.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Costco is amazing. The only issue I have is the long lines to pay for less than 10 items. I enjoy the different items they have available. They do require a directory or perhaps better signage as to what the aisle has available.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Definitely worth it if you are after bulk items as single items cannot be purchased. Instore cooking demos are always hard to resist... As are the delicious fresh bakery items made on site. Always an easy process here but an expensive one as the temptation is real with all that’s on for offer!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Having been a Costco customer since the '90s, I have noticed many changes over the last several years. I'm still a card holder. Though I have downgraded my membership due to the reality that I no longer spend as much as I use to. The ROI on the added membership fees compared to rebates no longer make sense. There are still items I only buy from Costco. However, the largest percentage of my past Costco purchases longer make sense. The food, both on the shelf and at the front food court has degraded in quality to point of being unpalatable or just a bad value.

The ready-made pies can be purchased for the same price, while delivering a far superior product, elsewhere. The ready to eat products have so much sugar and salt that they are now disagreeable to my tastes. The shrimp salad, a past favorite, now comes with shrimp that has the tails on. Who wants to pick out shrimp scales? The pizza just tastes weird. The gasoline is rarely cheaper than others in the area. That all having been said, the cashiers are still great and the return policy can't be beat. Online Costco shopping is like going back in time. Finally, my beloved food court hot dog is now so filled with salt and who-knows-what that it burns my mouth. Makes me feel as if I have been poisoned.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I am a long time Costco cheerleader -- until recently. We live a long distance from our nearest Costco, spending $400-600 each time we make the journey. We checked out normally at Norfolk, VA, but were stopped at door by very eager Indian lady that went through every item in our very full cart item by item. My wife can't stand for a long time but the lady kept going over our receipt again and again. Eventually she figured out that the Costco scanning associate had missed a jug of detergent. Holy Smoke, call the police. I tossed the detergent aside and departed with her yelling "It is not personal, it is not personal!" Never going back. We have a Sam's Club a little closer and they have self-checkout so we don't accidentally leave without paying for an item -- we go over our purchases many times to make sure nothing is missed.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I remember the days before Costco where stores gouged us. After they arrived somehow prices could be cut in half and matched. The value of the pharmacy and loyalty dollars makes it a great value. Always timely specials, seasonal values and unusual items make shopping interesting.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We really love the variety and the prices at Costco. They have the best quality of merchandise as well. The return policy is also really good. I get all my prescriptions there as well since my insurance isn’t that great; there is no better price for scripts.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I ordered a bulky item at costco.com which according to the manufacturer's manual takes two person to deliver. Costco's delivery service used only one guy, who came to my house 3 hours later than schedule and crashed the item during the delivery, which happened to be captured by my security camera. I opened the box and found the item was broken. Called costco.com immediately to return and the nightmare started. To make a long story short, I have called Costco.com many times during more than a month, and the item is still not picked up! I have not gotten my refund either.

Every time I called, I was promised to receive a call from the carrier within a few days to schedule the pick up. Never happened! Also was told that the issue has been escalated to their "tier 2" department, but apparently didn't help things at all. Often times the representative appeared to find some mistakes made by previous representatives who "helped" and promised that the issue would be solved now after the correction only until the next representative found another mistake.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I probably go to our local Costco once every 3-4 weeks. Lately, I am spending lot more time to locate the items that I'm looking to buy and knew where they were located in this store. Last time when I was shopping, three items on my shopping list were relocated and to find them I had to go through many isles, it was getting frustrating and I left the store without finding and buying all of my items. Costco's strategy to confuse its customers and try to keep them longer in the store is frustrating and not helpful. I hope Costco stops relocating their store items less frequently to help its customers.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

How could anybody give Costco less than 5 in every category? It's the only retail store I actually enjoy shopping. I've never bought something from them that wasn't the highest quality. The employees are helpful and happy... Wow. That's unique in today's world.

Costco Company Information