4.00/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

39 Costco Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 7, 2018

No customer service from, Roberta/supervisor in outskirts of Seattle. Did not use membership much as one person and not well... Would not extend membership when not well and unable to shop often as not near Costco and many medical issues! Did not ask for money back but an extension as she said I spent approx 1000 dollars there... not enough to make it worthwhile for me. That is not much for a year for groceries even as one person household. Not understanding or people of their word!!!

Original review: July 2, 2018

I first have to write. I am not a shopper and do not like big stores. Normally I know exactly what I need. If I can not find an item, I don't hesitate to ask for help. I never go to a store with expectations on the time it will take me to shop. Things happen... I usually do not get frustrated in a store... because things happen, and if I don't have much time I just don't go shopping because again... things happen. So this is a warning to others who don't like shopping. Don't even try Costco, you will be disappointed. With that written... I received a membership as a birthday gift, and I was actually, looking forward to shopping at Costco. I looked online and I knew what I wanted before I got there. However I did plan on looking around the store. I had all day to shop if I wanted.

The service desk was very friendly, but continued 3 more times, after I told her, "No thank you," to try and get me to sign up for an executive membership and the Visa card. I guess she didn't want to take no for answer. Her pitch for this took 10 minutes. That was my first turn off. The store itself was very clean, not sure if there was any organization of items or not, because, there were no department signs and when I asked someone for help, to find a couple items, they couldn't tell me exactly where the items were. I never did find one of them, (reading glasses) and I wasn't going to look anymore. I was then told by one employee that some items are moved around so they really didn't know where the reading glasses were. They had cheese on sale but the sign read the 32 oz. packages were on sale.

All the packages there were 44 oz. I went to the lady giving the free samples and asked her about this, she told me she didn't really know and I would have to ask up front. So I then asked another person and the response "I don't have a clue". I saw a cooler on wheels but there was no price on it, and the person there did not know how much it was, so he had to look it up. That took 5 minutes. Response from the guy was, the price was not on the cooler, because it was on sale??! That doesn't make sense to me, but whatever!!! I found another item I had on my list, I saw this item on sale in the magazine my friend had, but the sale price was listed, so I waited to ask the employee that was helping another customer in that department. He did not have a scanner to scan the item, he could not find the item in his tablet and told me I had to ask up front.

I then bought some shorts and sandals, looked around and went to check out. That was a nightmare. The line was very long and only 4 lanes were opened. The check out girl rang up the items, I asked about the cheese, (it did ring up on for the sale price listed) and my other item: she had to call another person for help. The guy in line behind me told the girl, the item was in the magazine, it was on sale and he vouched for that. Now I am holding up the line... which is very annoying for everyone. I had to follow the guy to a desk in a different area so he could search for it. I told him, the item was in the Costco Connection magazine that had a picture of a black Lab on the front. While the guy was trying to find the item, I told him this was my first trip to Costco and I was not impressed. I told him my experience and how I was disappointed.

He must have felt bad as he quit looking for the item I had and let me buy it for the sale price I saw in the magazine. In hindsight, I should have taken a picture of the item before I went to the store (didn't think I would need to do that). That's what I get for not following my instinct. I then went to the food area and bought a hot dog. The hot dog was very good! The condiment area was filthy, the soda area was very wet, puddles of water and pop dripping on the floor, the tables were not very clean. I did not see anyone cleaning this up. I wiped my area where I was sitting with a wipe I carry in my purse. The rest of my trip out the door was smooth but busy, it took about 5 minutes at the door. Total time I spent there... 2 and half hours. I didn't think that was too long, considering everything. I only purchased 6 items, that I could have probably purchased at another store in 30 minutes.

Costco should have their employees more informed on the products and a scanner to scan on the spot. I believe the store needs a little more organization with labeled aisles and or signs hanging from ceiling for the each department. I noticed the nuts and trail mixes are not even close to the dry goods area. I didn't even see where the bulk the candy was. Most of the employees are friendly but not very helpful. I will have second thoughts about going there again. I don't want to go someplace shopping, where, I have anxiety, before I get there. This is not the store for me to shop. I do not recommend getting a membership, go with someone first, that has membership.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 25, 2018

I bought this Samsung 60'' Smart TV #un60j20daf in March 2016. It went black June 2018. I was lead to believe I had a 2 year warranty with Costco and 1 year with Samsung but they said 1 year Samsung 2nd year Costco. Paid a 1000 for TV. Now they want 1,437.55 to repair it without even looking at it.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Costco always has in stock what are in their sales flyer. Employees are always helpful and never a problem to return items too. I love using my Citi card for travel, gas and in-store purchases.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Home Depot had to purchase an item online - had no clue when it was going to arrive. Best Buy is a nightmare these days; prices way too high. Costco not so bad but few choices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Costco?

Original review: June 12, 2018

Costco does an exceptional job in merchandising and customer service. Their products are always top quality and reasonably priced as well. If for any reason you need to return an item, they are always helpful and make the process easy. The only complaint I have is that the lines to check out are usually long at certain times of day. The gasoline prices are continually a bargain.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Costco has been my primary supermarket for many years. The quality of the food is excellent and, over the last few years, Costco has added more organic options. The cost, compared to traditional grocery stores, is always better at Costco, and easily compensates for the membership fee. Although I can't always get what I need at Costco because the selection is somewhat limited, I highly recommend Costco, even if it means I occasionally need to go to a traditional grocery store. I also wish Costco carried more choices for cat food and litter.

I have also used Costco's extended services. I bought a new garage door with Costco and saved several hundred dollars. Costco works with local companies for these services - like new cars, flooring, bathtub makeovers, window blinds, etc. Costco arranges the price with the local company and it's the local company who does the work. Simple and painless. Give Costco a try. If you don't like it they'll refund the cost of your membership in full, no questions asked.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Costco shopping is a pleasant experience, especially on the days they have their sample foods on display and their shelves are fully stocked. They certainly offer good value for your money with a wide selection of high quality products.

Original review: June 7, 2018

The employees are very nice and helpful. The store is always nice and clean. The prices are very good and my sister and I love shopping there. Also their $3.99 salad is great! Sometimes I go there just for the salad.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Nice selection, very good prices, easy to find the merchandise that you are looking for. From Frozen foods to staples, and their photo lab is fantastic to say the least.

Original review: June 4, 2018

The strength of this retailer seems to be in high quality products and very reasonable prices with motivated and considerate employees that work quickly and efficiently.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Shop at Costco at least weekly. Close to home, great prices and their return policy is great and never a problem, not to mention the samples they have every day.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The Costco store is truly a great one. But I would strongly suggest to do some work on the checkout process. Currently the lines are not well defined which causes a problem when is time to pay. Customers are always confused and half the time the lines are actually available but because no one is directing the customers the time waiting to pay takes 2 times what should be taking. This I have noticed in every store I used- NJ Bergen County, Up state NY, DC.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Manny, the young man who works at the Dedham Costco desk was very friendly and did a great job signing me up and getting my Citi visa card to use there.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Costco always has great buys. Sometimes it is a little hard to locate what you are looking for and also finding a person to help you but I recommend them as a top store.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Most of the "store brand" Kirkland products I've tried have been a very good value/product. If able to buy in bulk, definitely save money. There are plenty of items that aren't huge, which is great. Only issue at all, is they don't have a great system to keep lines moving/short at high shopping times.

Original review: May 29, 2018

The day we went to Costco, there were a lot of customers in the store. There were 5-6 people waiting to check-out in every line. Other than the wait, it was a good experience.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Very easy and comfortable to return unwanted items or articles that do not fit. Always sales help around in the store to help find what I am looking for. Quality counts and Costco is the leader. Administration always willing to help and they answer the telephone all the time. Automotive is also very very good. They stand behind whatever they do. The hours of business are very convenient. Parking is never a big problem and they have enough gas pumps to service cars.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I’m giving Costco a rating of 2 based on a weighted average of the following: 1. We’ve loved Costco and have been black members for since 2014. 2. We just had a baby and birth gave mom a 2nd degree tear down there, which includes muscle tears. Her retiree parents flew in from China to help out since I work 70-90 hours per week. They tried to help with grocery shopping, but were embarrassed and turned away because they weren’t pictured on mom’s Costco card. They are a member of our household for the next 6 months and can’t even grocery shop at Costco!? Any reasonable policy wouldn’t require a woman who just gave birth with dozens of stitches inside and out to be present to get groceries. The manager at the Hartford, CT Costco also refused to allow her parents to call her and asked them instead to leave the store.

In Costco’s defense, the Costco card does say “non-transferrable” on it. I just believe strongly that Costco needs to consider a way to remedy situations like that of my family, rather than embarrass elderly parents who are just trying to help their mostly bedridden daughter. They could’ve allowed the phone call to mom so an explanation could be given, allowed the sale this one time with a warning, etc., rather than treat her parents like they were trying to cheat Costco.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Costco has so many in stock items with great prices. The people on the floor are more than willing to help, and I love to try the samples before I buy. Their return policy is phenomenal. Just a wonderful place to shop.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I find every Costco employee to be helpful, readily available, and they all seem to have a good attitude. Generally there are many customers shopping at Costco all the various times that I go, and the crowds can seem overwhelming. However Costco has many helpful employees with good attitudes, are personable, and the checkout teams work together quite well. And this seems to flow over to the customers who are in a good mood and also helpful. (Quite a different experience from Sam's.)

During the aftermath of Category 5 Hurricane Maria, Costco was the exception to the shopping experience. Customer lines to get in were long, however Costco was open and had water. Costco employees were brought in from the USA Mainland and Costco had many employees directing desperate customers while maintaining positive customer interaction. This was extremely well organized and an impressive Costco effort.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Good prices, good selection of quality items and a great return policy. Tire shop bays, and gas pumps, well-organized with plenty of tills. But lineups can get large.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Even when the lines are long, I can get in and out of Costco pretty quick. The only complaint is waiting in line for gas. That can take a while, and sometimes I wonder if it's worth my time to save a few cents on gas.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Costco is a great place for us to shop. Even though it is just 2 of us in the house, we get great value and great product. Their meat is outstanding and they always have new products on the shelves.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I like Costco because I can buy my staples in bulk. It saves me time and decreases the number of shopping trips. Even though it is a considerable distance from my home I often include a stop when I am in the area.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We became members several years ago. We have saved our membership fee many times over. We live on a tight budget and buying in large quantities at low prices is great.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Shortest shipping time. Always cheaper than competitors. Easy check out and no hassle payments. Good selection and excellent brand quality as well as Kirkland private brand.

Original review: March 30, 2018

It is sad to join the many people on here for Costco online ordering but they have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. I ordered a desk that was "out for delivery" on the 3/16. They never called, the distribution facility had this item with them for 5 days and finally I called to see where the package went. They linked me to the distributor and I scheduled a deliver date, they never showed up. I called Costco to handle this and they kept trying to give me the runaround, they told me that they will get in touch with the delivery dispatchers, No one could reach them! Where did the driver go? Costco then said that a customer specialist will get in touch with me the next day and that there were no supervisors on the floor to speak to and that they had all gone home? What!? How are you running a business operation with no available supervisor?

I got the number for the dispatcher and left a message to them to call me the next day. No one called me the next day! So I called Costco again, and they said the best thing they could do was escalate the delivery, and to have this magical customer specialist call me about reimbursements. Finally a day later this customer service specialist called, and had the audacity to argue with me that they have 3 weeks to deliver a package, how do you then explain that the package was already ready to be delivered, and all that they could offer was $100 missed delivery voucher if I kept the item, so I decided to take that offer and reschedule my delivery. Did it show up the second time... NO it did not! How do you operate an online business like this? This is why ToysRUs went out of business. Never order online here!!! It is not worth it, you get better service from Amazon or Wayfair.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We enjoy shopping at Costco because of the price value but especially the friendliness. So many of the cashiers make a point of remembering the customers and asking about and keeping up with our families.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Not always the lowest price, but quality is generally consistent and returns are accepted without question. Well-known that quantity is for large families, or get together friends.

Costco Company Information