Bath & Body Works

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Got 2 plug in (White Barn Wall Flowers Home Fragrance) for Mother's Day plus 2 refills. Put one in 2nd bath & one in living room. 2 days later, thought something smelled funny in bathroom. The plug in, that was 12 inches below the medicine chest, had melted the paint on the bottom of the chest. The paint had dripped down onto the marble sink top and discolored it. The 12" by 3" area on the chest is still tacky to the touch. We took the one out of the living room along with all the refills and bath one, outside to a safe area.

My question is what would have happened if we had not discovered this in time. Burned our home down? How safe are humans and pets, breathing these fumes? E-mails & calls to company go unanswered. They were a gift from someone down in California so I can't mail them back. I can only imagine what would happen if they were in the mail and started a fire. What agency do you contact to stop them from selling this dangerous product.

Scented Plug In - I accidentally plug it in upside down and scent leak out. It immediately bubbled the paint on my baseboard and the poly on my hardwood floor. This is not a product I want to have in my home and I will not it use any more. Someone should test what is in this product and remove it from the stores. I can just see a little toddler pulling this product out of a socket and put it in his/her mouth. DANGER, DANGER!

Ocean for men body wash - I have been trying to find the women who wrote about her allergic reaction after using their body wash. I have never been allergic to anything in my life. I couldn't figure it out and then it dawned on that the only thing I changed was my soap. I ran out of soap so I used the body that someone gave me as a gift and about a day later, it started my hands covered in bumps itching like crazy. Ended up at the doctors on two different steroidal ointments. It's awful been three weeks and still have some signs but I don't think it was the ointment because it was still getting worse. The real thing that I think helped it clear up was vinegar, yes vinegar. I am a true believer it natural remedies just take two tables of vinegar, same amount of water in a dish, grab a paper towel and just rub it all over the affected areas you should start to feel and see relief within a day or two. Good luck but nevertheless it's going to last about three weeks.

I had a car scentable that clips onto the vent. I turned the heater on all the way yesterday and the contents flew out and landed onto my gear shift console. The contents ate a hole in the plastic and took off the top coating and it looks really dull. This product needs to come off the shelf NOW! Before someone gets hurt!!

I am writing this review to warn people about the wallflowers at BW. I have been a customer at the company for many years. I am removing all my 7 wallflowers I have bought and are plugged in in my home. My paint on my cabinet buckled and peeled because the wallflower was plugged in under the cabinet. If it did that to my paint I can imagine what it is doing to my lungs. Please do not buy them. Whatever is in the oil it has to be toxic to strip and bubble paint. I am going to call them and let them know. They should be recalled. I am going to take a picture and show them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bath and Body Works?

I am an avid shopper of Bath & Body Works. On 4/21/17, I stopped in their Manassas store to make a purchase. They were having a sales promotion of "Buy 3, Get 2 Free". So I purchased 5 items expecting to buy 3 items at regular price and get two free items. I also had a 20% coupon to apply toward the 3 regular priced items. Instead, I was charged a discounted price and 20% off all 5 items for a total of $33.07. There was no credit for two items. When I asked why, the Sales Associate said it is done that way so that if you make a return, you would at least get something back. To me, that seems deceptive. I also visited their website and it displays the same ad, without any small print about discounted pricing. They run these promotions all the time, but this was the first time, I actually looked at my receipt and saw what I was actually charged. It is very misleading.

I have been using Bath & Body Works for ten plus years. Never had a problem but recently I purchased a wallflower refill plugin. I heard a pop at first. I had no idea where it came from so I began checking outlets and I find in one outlet the oil from the wallflower had leaked into my outlet and scorched it so I contact bbw customer service who are extremely rude by the way. They told me to return the items so I did. I was informed another department would handle the damage claim but as for the return they tried to send me a gift card assuming I still wanted to purchase products from them. Then customer service finally agreed to send me a check. At that time they informed me that I would receive a check in about 2-3 weeks. Very, very poor customer service and it seemed that they could care less that their product was defected and caused damage to my home.

I always have a wonderful experience both in the store and when purchasing from here online. The products are high quality and I purchase new lotions/sprays/gels at least five or six times a year. I am a huge fan of their pocketbac sanitizers and their hand soaps because they do a great job without drying out my hands. Their brand is the only brand I use in regards to hand soap and sanitizer. One thing I would not recommend are their candles/Wallflowers. The candles smell amazing but they burn down way too quick for the hefty price of them! I maybe get 3-4 uses out of a candle before it's gone! The Wallflowers are horrible and, despite which scent I buy, tend to have a weird cigar/tobacco-like scent to them. After a couple years of not purchasing them, I decided to give the Warm Vanilla Sugar a try and it smells horrendous. Nothing like the actual scent!

I visited my doctor today for an itching, burning rash that started 4 days ago and is now so bad that I feel like screaming and crying all the time. I used the Bath and Body Works product, Fresh Sparkling Snow fragrance mist on my arms and decided to spray it on my girly region. I didn't read anywhere that I shouldn't. I will never do that again! I never imagined that a product that I give to people as gifts could cause such pain. My doctor said it caused contact dermatitis and a very bad case of it. I can't even wear pants or underwear. The itching is so bad that I thought I felt I would lose my mind. All I could do was stand in the shower every few hours to try and relieve the itch.

Now I am on 2 prescriptions... one topical cream and oral **. I am done with their products. I don't know when I will feel better but I want to let consumers know what happened to me and hopefully stop it from happening to them. Please put warnings on your labels Bath and Body Works! No product that can make a person smell nice is worth this kind of misery!

A return or exchange, WITH or without a receipt, requires the customer to submit their driver's license (or state ID that contains name, address, driver's license number, date of birth) to be scanned and entered into a national database. (They don't just ask to see it -- they scan it!) This is so intrusive and makes me uncomfortable about my personal information being compromised. I enjoyed shopping at Bath and Body Works but probably won't be shopping there because they guarantee 100% satisfaction or you can return the product -- BUT you must allow them to scan your personal information and you are limited to the number of returns allowed (6 in 90 days, even WITH a receipt). This is unacceptable and I'm not sure it is even legal.

I have had horrible treatment from the manager Rennee and the District Manager at Largo mall. They would not honor coupons. They said that since they cleaned house with new management that all the usual policies have changed. They said I could not have a coupon unless I gave them my personal email. The manager was actually rude about it. All of the girls that worked there were very nice. One of them said "please let me put some lotion on you. Our District manager is here watching us and I don't want to lose my job." I felt so sorry for this young woman. I have been a loyal customer for years. But now they have lost me. I am a successful business owner and BBW corporate needs to look into the treatment of the customers at this location.

Not Happy with the Products. The black raspberry shower gel gave me an itchy red rash (I am not allergic to anything else) and the wall plug-in doesn't smell at all unless you have it in a tiny room which I didn't plan on.

I have two different scents of wallflowers in two separate bathrooms and above each wallflower the paint has bubbled and melted. The paint that was peeled off smelled like the scented wallflower. Will never purchase again. I can only imagine what it is doing to the lungs.

I was in the store, I paid and as I was leaving, the associate reminded me that I need a picture ID. I refused to give my personal information to any store. If I have the receipt, you do not need ID. Manager insisted that's the policy. She started to act inappropriate for being a manager (young lady and no experience as per my point of view and experience of my own as I used to work in retails for more than 20 years). Then I said, "Well then I want to return everything, I do not agree with your policy." She said "well, I still need your ID". I got so upset. But if I am here I just bought it!!! The manager's name is Sierra and the store is in East Brunswick Square Mall. I called corporate and they still insist "that's the policy". I was very disappointed with the policy and customer service. They lost one customer. I am not going back. Never, ever again!!!

I have used B&BW products for years. For Christmas, I received a Stress relief aromatherapy gift set. Oh my gosh. I can't stop itching. The lotion "eucalyptus tea" has me itching from top to bottom. I have a rash and my skin is just torturing me! I'm not sure what they did to their product!! I thought maybe I had overly sensitive skin but after reading these reviews... I'm not alone!

Plug In's leaked on my dresser and with in minutes/ate through. I have never seen a product eat through a dresser in 10 seconds. I just unplugged the wall unit and was holding it and it just started to leak on to the dresser. This is not a hazardous material but a oil. Wow. Did a job. Called customer service and they will not cover the damage to my dresser. I will never purchase another item from them. They should use this product to unclog drains.

I was returning a Christmas gift that could not be used due to allergies. The lady ask if I had the debit or credit card. I said no it was a gift. The lady then informed me she would give me a gift card. I told her again about the allergies. I also reminded her of the sign behind her stating LOVE IT OR YOUR MONEY BACK 100% GUARANTEED. She said "sorry, store policy." I then told her their policy sucks.

I had been a loyal customer of Bath and Body Works since before they came to Canada. So this being said I went into the store near my home and purchased two bottles of hand soap. One was Vanilla Bean Noel and Peppermint Twist due to it being the Christmas season. I like using scents for the season. I put the Vanilla one in the powder room. I used it a couple times and noticed my hands were getting drier than normal. My husband used this particular soap this evening and broke out in a rash almost dermatitis looking. This has never happened before, now reading the reviews I'm seeing it's not an uncommon issue.

I called the store that I purchased it from and they offered me a store credit due to no longer having the receipt. Most companies can look it up if you used debit or credit, but not this chain. I said I didn't care for a store credit as I'm not wanting to shop there again so the customer service rep gave me head office's number. From what I have also read that's a lost cause as well. So maybe I will go in, get the store credit and just give the gift card to someone. The products used to be so good. What happened?

Wow! I have been buying these products for at least 7-8 years. As of right now I am done! I was treated very rudely by a employee at the store- I asked a employee for help in locating a Cranberry candle that had just come out, and told the employee I wanted to see what it smell like and he said in a very sarcastic tone, "It's just a cranberry scent, and smells like Cranberry," in a VERY VERY impatient and rude tone!!! My jaw dropped. I was shocked! However the bigger issues: The Hand Soap bottle pump mechanisms have been changed! One pump pours a ridiculous amount of soap out! Hint Hint... The more you will need to keep buying more at BBW because you are now wasting WAY more than you need. Sneaky way to increase profits to their company.

The Candles! Ah the candles! What happened??? They used to be GREAT but now lots of problems! First time this year I had several that had little to no throw (1-2 throw out of 10) and suffered puny wick syndrome. I would absorb some of the wax with a cotton ball hoping to get the flame brighter and active but with no success. The small wick and minuscule flame meant there was just no scent throw at all! Could not smell a thing! This would happen with candles that still had at least 1/2 their wax left!

Then I noticed they were burning way way faster than any other years I've had them. The ones that threw well were amazing but only 1/2 through use- then a horrible kerosene type odor smell filled my home, and the lovely odor was gone. At this point would also smoke quite a bit. I started noticing black sticky tar like residue on my air vents all over my home!!! I am no longer buying them and have decided to gift the few remaining candles I have. I now purchase vendor made soy wax melts/Tarts. No more smoke, soot and much cheaper!!I Am already way way happier!

I bought the products and I thought they smelled like heaven. I have been trying to get rid of the rash for awhile now. I finally stopped using the Bath and Body Works and my skin doesn't itch anymore. My skin has a rash all over it. I didn't buy the lotion but petroleum jelly and Dove. I will stick to Dove and petroleum jelly.

I just bought a frosted coconut snowball perfume from BBW wanting to smell nice for work. When I got home and opened it the sprayer on the bottle would not spray and the bottle is un-openable so I pretty much wasted my money. Thanks BBW.

Wednesday after a shower, I noticed red, itchy bumps. By Thursday it was a rash. I was eating ** and praying for relief from the itching. Friday morning it was worse. I invested in Aveeno soap and anti itch cream on advice of my nurse sister. She asked, "Are you using new soap?" "Why yes..." "What is it?" "BBW..." "That stuff is loaded with harsh chemicals and preservatives." So, I email BBW to let them know about my concerns and ask if they have had similar complaints involving that specific scent - Magic in the Air. They sent me a response... one without an apology, one without guidance, or empathy. They basically said, "Our ** is tested. It ain't the shower gel." But in a super boiler plate response. Really??? Act like you care a little.

I ordered a gift card online on the 9th. Today is the 17th and it's still not here!! It has been transferred from UPS to USPS and is only 1 state over, but still taking forever. Ridiculous and unacceptable!!! Never again- from now on all my gift cards will come from Amazon - free shipping and received the next day. Very poor business B&BW.

I visited Bath & Body Works located at the Bridgewater Commons in Bridgewater, NJ. I purchase 3 candles, hand soaps, and candle and soap holders. I had found a coupon online for 10 dollars with a 30 dollar purchase. After I left the store I realized that I should have split the purchase since I spent 100 dollars, I went back to the store and told the girl at the register that I would like to split the order but she said I could not do it so I decided to return some of the merchandise.

I gave her the receipt and with the credit card for the return she proceeds to tell she also need it my license to scan for the return; I could not understand why she wanted to scan my license, had my original receipt. I refused to do so and I told her to call corporate because I had no intentions to allow her to scan my license. I would have show it to her but that would be all, she insisted that the only way the return could be made was by scanning my license. This went on for a good 15 minutes; she finally gave in and made the return. If Bath and Body Works have this type of policy I have every right to know what are they doing with my information.

Over a month ago I bought some wallflowers and various scents from Bath & Body Works. I had company coming that weekend and wanted the house to smell nice. I bought the plug ins, plugged them in following the directions (in two separate bathrooms). I left to shop for groceries and when I came back and went into the bathroom, the paint on my wall was bubbled up and the stain on my cabinets was gone in a streak down the front side.

I didn't at first realize what had happened until my husband walked in to the room and told me to look at the plug-in. It was empty. All of the oil had dripped out and down my wall, down my cabinets and ruined both my paint, drywall and cabinetry. When I went to unplug it, it was very hot to the touch. I left it on the counter to cool down and took pics of the damages. I had company coming so I wiped up what I could, took photos and contacted the company. I've gotten nothing but the run around ever since. I returned the products as they asked me to do and have not been reimbursed. I have dealt with a couple of different customer service reps who insinuated I was lying about what happened because I had taken the wallflower out of the wall before documenting what had happened.

I will NEVER buy another product at this store again and in fact am either going to take them to small claims court or make a homeowners claim for the damages and let them battle it out with my homeowners insurance company. I am not someone that has time to hassle with all of this but this was a potential fire hazard and created a lot of damage in my home. The fact that they are trying to blow me off is really upsetting me. Do Not Use these products!

I bought several soaps and wax melts online during a sale. I was very excited to try the wax melts and we needed new soaps, which I absolutely love from Bath & Body. I bought lots of soaps and several wax melts. The order went through, everything seemed fine. The next day I got an email stating some of the items on my order were canceled due to them being out of stock. The email was very difficult to read and I made my husband try to read it to understand which items were canceled. We determined that it was I one of the wax melts. If the items were out of stock, why are they still available for purchase? Anyway, I just received my order at home. There was only one item! Confused, I went and double checked my bank statement. The original order was for approximately $90, I was charged $80, which by the way, came out of my account two days after my original order.

I believed the difference made up for the two wax melts that were canceled. I called customer support, just to see when the other items would arrive and found out the only item on my order was now the single soap that I received. The customer service representative I spoke with said the single soap was all that was available and that the $80 taken out was for "holding" because my order was for so much and that I should receive a refund within a few days. Wait, what??? You're still going to charge me despite not having the items originally ordered at a later time? If all of the money had came out with the original order I'd understand, but to charge me regardless and afterwards, doesn't make sense to me.

I'm frustrated that all of the items on my order were out of stock, the website didn't show the out of stock status, and the email that was sent to update me was very unclear and showed in stock status, even to the items that were not in stock. Then, when I called, the customer service representative was very rude and blunt, and even stated she had been dealing with this all day and kind of acted annoyed. There was no attempt at trying to help me, give me any type of consolation, or even an apology. This shouldn't have happened in the first place, but I hope this company, whom I normally really love, can fix their website, the way they send invoices to customers and can help their customer service representatives try to be a little more helpful and even nice.

I stopped purchasing products from Bath & Body Works around 2010 because the odor was overwhelming and caused headaches. I decided to give them another chance two weeks ago and purchased three items from the C. Bigelow Sea Salt & Mimosa Line and 3 items from the Pink Cashmere line. I tried the testers before purchasing and they smelled wonderful. When I used the products three days later, the overwhelming alcohol products caused laborious breathing problems, a migraine attack and severe nausea. I also noticed white spots on my upper left arm, which turned red when scratching.

Next, my arms and legs broke out in hives that worsened with scratching and were not alleviated by any ointments or other products. The perfume odor was so overwhelming that I had to toss clothing and other articles into the garbage. The bathtub still reeks of overwhelming alcohol products. This company, which boasts of not testing its products on animals, appear to deem humans as non-worthy. Millions of innocent people are being deceived and may have ailments that are specific to these toxic carcinogens. I strongly believe that the sales clerks are told to water the testers down in order to make a profit. This company does not care about the populace, it cares about the pocket. I am still sick to this day because of a bad decision to give them another chance.

I purchased Bath & Body Works pink cashmere body spray yesterday. I only sprayed a little on my wrist, while I was in the store to see if I liked the scent. I did so I bought it. About 6 hours later, my hands started itching, then my feet, then my legs and back. I went into the bathroom and lifted up my shirt and I had welts all over my body. I took a shower but the welts continued to get worse. It took about 2 hours before the itching stopped and when I woke up this morning all the welts were gone. I don't know what's in this product, but I apparently had an allergic reaction and I don't have any allergies. I do not recommend this product and won't be shopping at Bath & Body Works ever again!

The service that they give in the stores for the most part is the best service you will get from this company. If there is a problem and you have to contact corporate, good luck. You have better luck trying to raise your dead relative from the grave than you do trying to get them to do anything to help. I have contacted corporate multiple times about their promotions. It seems like every time they have a promotion the store I go to is not partaking in that promotion. I don't understand why you keep emailing me all these promotions knowing where I live and then my home store says they aren't doing that promotion. Once I call in to the 800 number I always get told that that store is indeed doing the promotion. They apologize up one side and down the other.

Then they call the store and tell them to give me the promotion that has already ended. This gets tiring after so many times. I have done this 12 times before I have to call it quits. I'm not a rude customer, I'm not a rude person, I hate conflict, and I refuse to deal with a business that does this to their customers. I'm not the only person that has to deal with this - almost everybody in my area deals with this. They need to send someone to the store and explain to them that they need to HELP all customers the same, they need to give us all the same promotions and they need to follow company rules. Don't tell me to just continue to call back because that is not what I want to do when I go to the mall to shop.

I think instead of shopping at the stores I just need to stand in front of the store and picket because you don't want to reimburse me for my time, my loss of gas, or give me anything for the inconvenience. I'm not asking for a hand out. I'm not asking for you to give me free product or anything. I'm asking for a little sympathy. If this was you you would be upset. But to have a lady argue with me on the phone about what promotion they are running that day is ridiculous. They were running a promotion we all love and we all watch out for, I missed it and then was told that it was $3.95 body creams??? I've never heard of that promotion and am pretty sure if that was the promotion it would have been posted all over the store and people would have bought cases of them. You have horrible service and you treat your regular customers like they are replaceable.

I bought 3 body creams and 3 body sprays - Pretty as a Peach, Marshmallow Pumpkin Latte, and Tahitian Island. I was really excited to purchase BBW products because I used the products years ago and enjoyed the long lasting fragrance. I used Pretty as a Peach lotion and spray after a shower and had a sleepless night! My skin broke out into a hives everywhere that I applied the lotion. I thought it was maybe mosquito bites and applied the Marshmallow Pumpkin lotion and spray as well. I had the same results, but worse. It was extremely painful and itchy. I had welts all over my arms and legs.

I'm not sure if the ingredients or chemicals have changed since I've used them before, but whatever it is, I'm almost 100% sure it isn't safe for our skin. I'm very disappointed as I have used BBW products in the past. I don't recall having these reactions in the past, so I'm sure the products are different chemically. I can no longer use these products and would love to see BBW start using natural ingredients.

Bath & Body Works Company Profile