1.57/5
Based on 51 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 22, 2018

324 Bath & Body Works Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2018

BBW has frequent promotions of buy 3 get 2 free. I don't know exact promotion, but if you shop here, you will understand. When they have these promotions, I usually buy many items to take advantage of the "savings." I have been using BBW products for over 25 years and did not used to have these issues. Less than a year ago, I returned some rancid body lotion to them and they let me exchange it for the same product that wasn't rancid. I also bought a bunch of other products due to the promotion.

In the 25+ years I've been using their products, the products have lasted for years. I used one of the body creams but today, less than 1 year old, my (new, unused, unopened) body cream was rancid. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until I had applied to several body areas and I had to re-shower to get the rancid smell off of me. Lotion products should not be going rancid within a year of purchase. Yes, I will return it and they will probably let me exchange it for a new product that will once again go rancid before I am unable to use it all.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have been using Bath and Body Works Wallflowers for a couple of years, I recently bought Watermelon and Lemonade scents for my plugs. I have been sick with bad headaches for 4 days and last night I noticed my cat sneezing and hacking. I took him to the vet this morning and he has respiratory irritation. The veterinarian told me to get rid of those air fresheners! I plan to take them back with my receipt for a refund today! THEY COST ME A VET BILL!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Poor quality and ingredients change in their body soap products - Has anyone else noticed a drastic change in the quality of Bath & Body Works body soap? It has always been my fave but in the last year or two it has changed a lot. It takes a good 4-5 times more soap to get a little lather and the lather last only a few seconds and breaks down (means you have to pour even more on), the scent is almost non-existent. It use to be more rich, enough so you could shave with it. Now it is like slightly thick water.

I use to get a lot of compliments on the scent. Now you can't smell it outside of the bottle. It doesn't clean like it use to and at $14 for a small bottle I'm thinking I may need to switch to another brand. I loved their Japanese cherry blossom. Think I may return my unused bottles. Even the body spray seems weak and more alcoholic like. I was a very die-hard fan of their products for many years investing a good chunk of change. :(

Original review: April 28, 2018

I am a government employee at a Federal agency located in NYC at 26 Federal Plaza; I often go to this store's East 23rd st location after work but on occasion I got outside of work. Whenever I shop at this store and I am not dressed in work attire I am scrutinized and treated like a thief by your door security. I have been targeted and followed throughout your store which obviously makes me simultaneously uncomfortable and angry. After a few times of this happening I reported it to the floor manager who assured me it wouldn't happen again and the security staff would be spoken too.

After that incident I decided to not return to that location thus I now go to the East 44th st location (since last year) and I am having the exact same problem. I was just at this location yesterday where your security staff harassed targeted me. It was a rainy cold day I was in this store not in business attire but in a hooded jacket, jeans and sneakers and the security guard Mike (according to the store manager) watched from across the room then proceeded to come close just to zero in on and watch me.

This bias behavior is unacceptable. There were plenty of people in the store when I entered and I hadn't been in the store less than 5 minutes before this happened. I approached Mike and asked him why was he targeting me. The was a store full of people to watch but yet his focus is on me. He must not have liked that I questioned him and he began to get irate and combative until a coworker convinced him to go back to doing his job. Then later that same coworker and guard could be heard disrespecting me and making light of the situation. I shop at this store a lot and for me to feel as if I cannot go to any location without being judged on my appearance is ridiculous. I will not continue to be harassed. Something must be done, I will not continue to jump from location to location just because your employees are bias either I am at the point where I am ready to seek counsel and attain an attorney

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have used the wallflowers intermittently for years. I don't always use them but I have used them in several areas of my home at one time. I always installed the bulbs properly and have not had one leak but I have seen a few leave residue on the wall. The main thing is that I recently moved and so I pulled the wallflowers out during the holidays and even bought a few new plugs to go with some of the scents I had stacked up on during a sale. Well all winter including Christmas day, I have had the worst sinus headaches. I went away on business for 2 months and came home in March to continue to experience the worst headaches. I didn't know what the cause was but one day recently all of the plugs that I was using ran out and I left them empty and just unplugged them and sat them under the sink.

I can tell you, these last few weeks have been nice. No more wheezing and no more migraine headaches. These aren't the only products of BBW that cause issues. The hand soaps, especially the deep cleaning one causes severe skin breakouts and rash, the body sprays and lotions are filled with parabens, a dangerous synthetic hormone, and lots of other chemicals that shouldn't be near the body. The room sprays cause knock out allergy reactions and headaches too and this all sucks because I want to like this place so much but more and more their business is filled with holes that can't be ignored and they make enough off of their shoppers to take the nastiness out of their products. I haven't used none of their body care in years and now it looks like I will be getting rid of my candles and wallflowers too because they are toxic to our health.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bath and Body Works?

Original review: April 17, 2018

I purchased 1 gift set but the cashier charged me twice. I went back to the store but was told since the lady who double rang me wasn't there, they couldn't confirm if it was true or not. I emailed Bath and Body Works but was told I'd have to call. (What is the point of their email then?!) I kindly explained I was born with a speech impediment, so calling is not possible for me and asked if it could be fixed through email. They have ignored my emails since. Bath and Body Works is a horrible company. I can't make my speech impediment go away to call! It's like asking a crippled person to walk. It's not possible. It hurts. Worse they won't even respond. I have wasted gas going to the store 2x since for nothing to be fixed. You've lost a very loyal customer.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Sent me a smashed candle. When I called to report it, only offered to replace it with no offer of anything for my bad experience. When I asked about expedited shipping for the replacement candle, my request was refused. Took a week to get replacement candle. Placed another order. Now 8 days later and still haven’t received. Went online to track order. Order wasn’t even processed until 4 days after I placed it. I shop online because I am disabled, but will try to get to retail store from now on. Just not worth it!

Original review: April 9, 2018 What a terrible experience. Their customer service department is pure horrible, they do nothing but hang up on people. I just called to speak with someone and a Nada told me no one can help didn't take my information and didnt let me speak with a manager. Just hung up on me. I bought their Wallflower and it destroyed my brand new hardwood floors!!! Ate everything around as if it was made of acid. The liquid is harmful to all around it please dont bring this into your home.

The product is faulty and dangerous. There are no warning labels. I also noticed having difficult breathing. I dont know what they put in their product but buyer please beware. I will never buy from them again, attaching photos soon.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Our daughter was suffering from a skin rash for several months which caused our family extreme stress. We spent much time & money to figure out what was causing the rash. We finally figure it out that it e was the "Hello Beautiful" shower gel that we bought her for Christmas that was causing the rash.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had THE BEST customer service experience with Bath & Body Works! I placed an order and my shipping info said that it had been delivered but I didn't receive a package. I called the online order customer service number and I spoke to Rebecca who is probably the MOST helpful person I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with out of all the companies that I've had amazing experiences with. It turns out that I inadvertently switched the last 2 numbers of my building number around which is why I didn't have the delivered package and she was still willing to refund the amount for that order and she placed a new order for me. The customer service quality in stores has also been equally amazing. I've been to locations in quite a few different cities and never have any issues with employees, not being helped, or using a ton of coupons.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have used Aromatherapy Lavender Vanilla and Eucalyptus Spearmint for years... exclusively... and have given for gifts repeatedly. No more... the new formulas are not pleasant, soothing, or refreshing... actually make me itch. Why can't companies leave well enough alone? No one could come close to the products as they were. Now, they have been ruined with someone's well meaning, but totally unnecessary meddling ambition... For improvement? Or increased revenue pursuit? Doesn't matter. I'm done... and will seek reimbursement for the last batch I bought. So disappointed!!! How could you!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I have purchased the Wallflowers for years. I have always enjoyed the scents' stress relief, orange ginger and lavender. I could smell them as I was approaching my front door before I even entered and would always receive compliments on how nice my home smelled. For the past year the bulbs only “throw“ the scent for a day or 2. I have 12 diffusers in my home and can only smell if I am standing on top of them. You have changed the formula and it is very weak! Please go back to the old formula. Many of my friends have made the same comments. I will not be purchasing these any longer. You have lost a 15 year customer.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I visited the Robert Exchange Augusta Georgia location store with the intent of returning one product, but caught my eye on something else. I requested first hand, return and refund the first item and let me start anew with the second. Simple enough? No, unfortunately, the salesperson "Sherry" did an exchange anyhow and said she could not reverse it. She was adamant of saying it's finalized and attempted to verify why she believes an exchange is better and questioned why I wanted a refund.

Since when did Bath and Body have sales agents coerce their view on how customers should handle their hard spending money with their products? Not a good look for the company's brand and of how that agent represents that location as well as the corporate return policy that's been existing for ages. That uncomfortable encounter with "Sherry" turned me off from future shopping with that store. I'm waiting on BBW corporate to assist, correct the transaction, and make it right. From a maybe former BBW consumer.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I recently started ordering Wallflowers from B&BW Online. The first order I got, I ordered Cinnamon Stick and they sent something AWFUL smelling - very musky - but labeled Cinnamon Stick. I took it back to the store, which happened to be on the day of some stupid candle sale, and the employees refused to help me - they said I could wait in line, which was approximately 45 minutes or come back another day. I did come back another day. I then ordered the Cinnamon and Clove Bud Wallflowers online and realized the ripoff. First -- NO WAY does it cost $5.99 to ship two or 3 2-pack boxes of Wallflowers. No way. I can get giant boxes filled with stuff from Kohl's or Amazon for nothing, but this little box is $6?! Secondly -- it takes 2-3 weeks to show up! Thirdly -- by the time they arrive, they are leaking all over the box! Fourth -- Sales tax: I live in Wisconsin where my sales tax is 0.051%.

On a $54.00 order, they have my sales tax calculated at $2.99 when it should be $2.74. Yes - that's minimal, but for a company like theirs - it adds up if they are miscalculating hundreds of online orders! Today, I wanted to order 6 boxes of Cinnamon and Clove Bud 2-packs. B&BW is offering $10 orders of $30 or more. My total comes to $54.00; shipping $5.99; tax $2.99 - and my total on the site is $52.54. But, if I do the math myself, it's $52.23. WHICH MEANS - they are applying SALES TAX to your SHIPPING CHARGES!!!! Just a little FYI for consumers - if shipping is listed SEPARATELY from the cost of the item, it is NOT taxable. B&BW ripping off Americans one shipped package at a time. I wonder how much profit they have gained from that.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

These little bottles of spray horrendously affect air quality. I have never before in my life not been able to catch my breath, but when my housemate used these I experienced what I imagine asthmatics suffer, and could not breathe in. I have been exposed to many air care products, but have not experienced anything remotely similar. My husband gets blinding headaches upon entering the house when they have been sprayed. Another friend, a true asthmatic, has had her asthma triggered by these sprays. They seem incredibly toxic.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

After using the men's Suede Body Spray it caused a severe rash on my back and chest with bumps and burning and itching and redness. I will never get anything from Bath and Body Works again, so far it has lasted 5 days. I'm going to see a doctor. DONT USE THIS SPRAY.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I have to agree with another review that I bought 6 body lotions of A Thousand Wishes and was deeply disappointed. It seems that the formula was changed. It has no smell. It does smell like a cheap body lotion.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

On average I spend up to $100 in B&B Works every two to four weeks. I use all of their products from the kitchen soap to the hand sanitizer and candles. The last time I made a purchase I had a hard time finding my favorite lotion because all of the labels have been changed. They all look the same... Bland monochromatic foil. After finding and purchasing my usual fragrances I get home to discover NONE of the lotion’s scents are right. The fragrance has been washed out - brings to mind unscented lotion or a knockoff product. I can’t believe I paid that much for body lotion that has ZERO smell.

I compared them to bottles I had left over from prior purchases (the ones without the generic foil labels) the same scent smells 100x better in the old formula. The new lotion says it has Shea butter + coconut oil. If you ask me, Bath and Body Works has cheapened what I used to consider a superior product. I used to chose their product over VS but as if now I refuse to waste any more money. Not until they offer the old lotion formula without the “coconut oil” filler.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Your only available phone number states it is on the east coast and open from 6AM to 2AM, however, at 5AM WEST coast time (equivalent to 8AM EAST coast time), you do not pick up and play the we-are-closed recording. You are losing business and deservedly so. 2nd complaint: placing orders over the phone with confirmation of availability, and then waiting a week to cancel the order after several emails saying they are working on the order. You call yourself a business? I don't. Shared same on social media. You're deservedly welcome!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I got the Lavender and Sandalwood with Olive Oil and Lavender Oil body wash from Bath & Body Works about a month ago. I used it for a couple of weeks with no problem. Almost 2 weeks ago it caused skin irritation, but nothing too concerning. Took a break from it for a week. Everything was fine. Have been using it the past few days, and broke out in an allergic reaction yesterday! I was covered in hives all over my body and itching like crazy. I don’t know what chemicals you’re putting in your products, but it’s causing this unbearable reaction. I have no problem with any other product. I wish I could keep using this body wash as it smells so good, but I don’t want another reaction to happen. I probably won’t be shopping at Bath & Body Works again because of this. Not until they fix their formula.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I was in Bath and Body Works today, I got up to the cash register and set my things on the counter and the cashier wasn’t going to wait on me so I started to go get back in line to go to a different register and he rudely said “you’re here you might as well check out here.” He was very rude. I spend a lot on my money in Bath and Body Works so I do not appreciate how rude he was.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I have been a BBW customer for YEARS. Since, Plumeria was around. You guys have changed the formula, to Shea butter, or something else. The $8 bottles have ZERO smell. It's so weak, I had to spend $13 for the cream. Just to get the normal smell. This is nonsense. Are you trying to save money??? Because it seems that way. Has anyone else noticed how WEAK the smaller bottles smell? Versus the expensive cream???

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

On the Bath and Body Works website they advertised $5 single wick candles online and in store. When I went in to the store I asked the clerk about the sale and she showed me the candles and instructed me to just show the website at check out. While I was shopping the manager walked by and we talked about the sale and what a good deal it was. However, when I went to check out the girl refused to honor the website and said I had to have a coupon that would have been sent to my email. I have tried countless times to get the emails by signing up on their website as well as calling their guest services number however I never get them for some reason. They aren't in my spam either. Additionally their website didn't say anything about having to have a coupon to get the price.

I called customer service after the store refused to honor their advertisement and was told to order them online instead. Ordering online costs extra for shipping and they also didn't have the same products as in store. They had considerably less options than my local store. I reached out to their customer services through email three times only to be brushed off and given their basic coupon policy and a "sorry". It is unacceptable to advertise a sale as being online and in store and then not honor the sale in store. Their customer service is a total joke. I have spent so much money at this store over the years but they just lost a very loyal customer.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I'm so disappointed because I love these scents, but while I was cleaning my kitchen I noticed that the Wallflower that I keep above my stove but under my ventilation hood has eaten the paint and rusted away my ventilation hood. The spot smells like Black Cherry Merlot. If these eat away at paint and metal, what are they doing to our lungs? :(

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

It is beyond the pale how when you put codes in for free items or percentages off, the shipping is lower before you put the codes in, then the shipping jumps up 50%. I have a card for a free item and before I put the code in, the shipping was $5.99, then when it accepted the code the shipping went to $9.99. A free item, but I would have to pay in shipping, plus taxes what the item costs, that's not a deal.

Bath & Body Works online is shady. I ordered something a few months ago and one of the mists was half empty. Yes they replaced it, only after I had a lengthy conversation with the customer service rep. I even took pics of the mist immediately. I will not be using their online services anymore. I've been a customer of Bath and Body Works for well over decade, but if I want something, I'll just go to the store. Terrible customer service. Stay away from the online site because no matter what kind of discounts you have or free items, they will figure out a way to where that free item or discount isn't either.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I placed an order last Saturday (18th) and today Monday I received tracking no. They shipped separate shipment. First one arriving 30th, and the second one will be arriving December 5th. If I knew or the website mention about this before submitting the order about how long it takes, I wouldn't buy from the website at all. I called the CS, the lady answered the phone and was so annoyed. She kept asking, "Sorry, what did you say???" She said usually it takes 2-7 business days. I said, "YES! But I have bought from your website for a long time and most orders arrive 3-4 business days, plus I paid for the shipping not even free ship. Also not even BLACK FRIDAY!" All I wanted is let me know the delayed shipment! If it takes 10-15 days I won't even bother.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I bought a set of 3 and unlike my daughter I don't care for them. Oh they smell great but the smell doesn't last all day like VS. I get maybe 3 hours. I definitely don't smell it by bedtime like VS. So when you pay 40 bucks for the set and then the lotion is gone but you have half a bottle of soap & spray it sucks. Then even after layering the smell doesn't last all day. I think it's a bad buy. Plus it's not very moisturizing.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I ordered a gift for my mother-in-law for her birthday. When the verification email came in immediately after I ordered it, I realized that the ship to address and the bill to address were the same, hers. I IMMEDIATELY called to change it. I was told I would have to cancel the order and reorder. I made sure to ask if I would receive an email about the cancellation. I was told YES. I reordered a more expensive gift. I checked my email and the cancellation notice hadn't come yet so I called back, the same day and within the same hour. I was told that the request to cancel had been put in and that I should receive an email within 24-48 hrs. So you can imagine my surprise when I checked my email today, 72 hrs later and the only email I have received is a shipping confirmation!

I called customer service back and relayed the information and she apologized for the confusion, she said it was denied! She said that can happen when one waits a day or more to cancel. I informed her that I placed the order and cancelled it within 10minutes! She apologized again, and said that I can deny delivery! I told her that my mother-in-law will just get two gifts this year, because I will not be at my mother-in-law's house as it is over 150 miles away! That's ok, my husband and I are on a fixed income, but they apologize!!! Well you live and learn.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My daughter lost $40 when we walked in and we started looking instantly. And a worker asked in the middle of My search if I needed help. I said, "No. Just looking for something." A customer told me she turned in the money. Great person who turns in lost cash. But the worker then proceeded to say, "Well if you would've asked for my help you would have gotten it back" and kept repeating it for ten minutes in front of others. After ten minutes she then asked the manager to give me the cash.

BOBBI is horrible with customers and was trying to embarrass me cause my daughter lost her $$. It could have been an easy "Here you go." We thanked the lady who turned it in repeatedly but no Bobbi felt a public lecture was necessary. I spend a lot at Bath and Body Works. I left without a dime. Turned me off from the whole store. I am the customer who buys Bath and Body Works for gifts and every scent every season. Will have to find a new lotion store. Disgusted.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I have been using Bath and Body Works body sprays for years. I love some of their scents and am very disappointed to say that I won't be buying them anymore. I order online and in store and have found that 70% of the sprays have a musty, mildewy type odor. I spend quite a bit of money on these and it is ridiculous. It never used to be a problem, but now it is very frequent. :(

Bath & Body Works Company Information