1.35/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

367 Bath & Body Works Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased a Bath & Body Works Portable car air freshener and holder that clips onto the vent. The item had been clipped on the vent for about 4 weeks and appeared to do what it is designed to do, smell good. I don't drive this particular car on a daily basis, but I got in the car one day and noticed that it appeared wet, and after further review I noticed the air freshener had leaked causing $1300 worth of damage to the panel of the dashboard.

I called Bath & Body Works to advise of the damage that has been caused. They asked several questions, opened up a claim and asked that I place the air freshener and holder in a bag that I may be asked to send it back. I was also asked to email photos of the damage as well as an estimate for repair. In the meantime luckily I still had my receipt and was able to provide them the receipt number showing my purchase of the holder and scent. I was emailed a $10 gift card credit within 3 days. Photos and an estimate was emailed to them on Feb. 20, 2019 and now I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding them taking care of the damage. My hopes are that is what they plan to do since I was asked to email photos along with the cost of repair. I will provide an updated review once I hear from them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

The last time I came in to buy your wonderful bath product, which I've done for years, I discovered that you don't create a shampoo for women any longer. However, you did at that time offer me one for men, a product that can be used for both shower/bath and shampoo in one bottle. I used to love your shampoos for women. Perhaps it's no longer profitable for Bath & Body to make a shampoo for ladies. Yet at the same time, I find it SEXIST that you created a combination body wash/shampoo for men and not for women. Why exclude such an important gender?

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Jordan Landing Plaza store: my card was left with family (out of state). I went to store with a picture of the card (#/PIN). Store wouldn’t accept it. Called customer service to see if they would reissue a new card via email (something the card says they can do if it is lost or stolen and you give them the card number) and they said they couldn’t do that but I could order online and pick up in store. Went back into store and the same employee (Lizzie with a short and rigid response) told me I couldn’t order to pick up in store.

I called the same customer service number and a different guy answered and told me if I had the gift card receipt he could help me otherwise I was to call another service number. I had my sister email me the receipt and gift receipt. I called customer service again and got the first guy that I talked to (Lloyd). He was very confusing and wasn’t able to help me but told me to call the Victoria Secret Customer service line. I reminded him I was at Bath and Body Works. He told me to call a different number.

I called it and was rerouted to another number where I talked with Brittany about my experience. She was apologetic and empathetic towards the situation. She was surprised that the store wouldn’t let me enter in the card number and pin as she reported most Bath and Body Works will let you do that but it’s up to the discretion of the individual store. She told me it was after hours so I would have to call back in the morning and they could reissue me a card via online. I talked with Lizzie again to see if she could contact her manager to see if they could approve me using my gift card number. She went into the back of the storeroom and came back saying she called several people to make sure and was told their location will not accept gift cards unless I had the physical card on me. This took about 40 minutes from start to finish.

It was an embarrassing and frustrating experience. I was excited to get this gift card as last year I shopped at the very same store and bought many soaps and lotions (at least 30+) for gifts and to use at home. But after my experience with Lizzie and the Jordan Landing Plaza in West Jordan UT, I will not be returning. I’m trading my $15 gift card in for an Amazon Gift Card.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Please know that I originally called Bath & Body Works and they said the store "had to take them back and exchange them for similar or equal value item. I did not need a receipt. They said the plug ins are unique with threading in reverse of any other USA products and they would know what is theirs". I took them to the Ledgewood store to exchange them. I did not want my money back as I wanted something that worked. These all died out after about 3 months of use. The store refused to take them back. It made me feel very foolish and embarrassed!

Like the commenter above, they refused me and I do not look ethnic to a particular country. I showed them the original email I received (which I now no longer have) that they said they have to take them back and they still refused me. Now, that store in Ledgewood NJ is gone. I still want my exchange completed. I have 2 or 3 that do not work. Credit will also suffice. Please handle this to get it done. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I went into the store in Methuen in Massachusetts and the customer service lady treated me and my daughters like we will criminals. I will never ever go there again. Just because we were Hispanic I feel bad for my daughter, that she had to hear what the customer service lady said about Hispanic people. What a shame and 2018 with true racism.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bath and Body Works?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I ordered body cream products for my wife under a "Buy Two Get One Free" promotion. They shipped two of each, not three. I called customer service and was told I should have ordered "3" in the box and they couldn't/wouldn't help me. BUT they would waive shipping costs if I spent MORE money with them! It's a shame because their products are very good, but their online promotions are tricky, and they probably fool a lot of people. I might go to a store in the future, but never again order online. This could have been a 5-star rating if these chislers would just have parted with two items to fulfill their original offer. But by being inflexible (and cheap) they cost customer loyalty and I will continue to spread the word of this experience.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I have used Bath & Body Works products for years, but have never placed an order on their website... Until this year. I will NEVER order online again. One month later, I still haven't received the products that I ordered. I have used the "contact us" link and sent many emails, none of which have been answered. I have called the Customer Service number so many times that I have lost count. Every single time I have been placed on hold for over 1/2 hour, never having had the opportunity to talk to one single person. My money was withdrawn from my bank account and products have never been received. Horrible... Horrible service and they have now lost a customer.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

A little while ago I went in to the store with the intent of buying a bunch of candles, soaps and body sprays. I sprayed a tester to see what it smelled like, and one of the staff came over and yelled at me and said that I couldn’t spray anything and that they have a candle that smells exactly like that and if I wanted to know what it smelled like then I could just smell the candle. I had already decided on purchasing this spray so as I started to say “no thank you” the girl walked away. I was pretty uncomfortable at this point as the store was full of people and everyone saw her get mad at me, so I decided to just buy the spray and get the heck out of there. Once in line the same girl came over to me and handed me a candle and said “you want this or not?” Me not wanting to cause a scene I said “no thank you, I’m sorry”.

She then rolled her eyes, dramatically sighed and walked away. I never even said I wanted the candle even in the first place and I was clearly holding the bottle of spray that I was smelling earlier while in line for checkout. Anyway after she stormed off with the candle I got up to cash finally and I asked to speak to a manager because I was treated very rudely and felt extremely uncomfortable. The girl at the cash put her hand on her hip and said “ya actually she was right. You were spraying a body spray and you shouldn’t have, you could’ve just smelled the candle.” And I said very awkwardly as I have very VERY bad anxiety “...well it said tester...” and she continued to roll her eyes, and slam my spray into a bag and practically tossed the change at me. Given literally the 10 people surrounding me watching I just said “have a great day” and gave her a genuine smile and practically ran out of there.

Will never ever ever be going back to that location. Felt completely ganged up on by staff, I’ve worked in customer service for YEARS and if I ever treated a customer like that, especially for not even doing anything wrong, I would be fired on the spot. I later found out that the first staff member who got mad about the spray was actually the store manager. Awful awful. They needed to get off their high horse for a second and treat people like human beings. You lost an extremely loyal long time customer.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Here it goes, first of all every time I have ever had an order problem and had to call the customer service people I get lied to after being promised certain things like credits and gift cards etc, and always end up having to call again and again just to get someone that is not a liar and actually help resolve my issue at hand. I also had a problem submitting an egift card when trying to place an order online because when I would add the gift card number and 3 digit code thing etc and hit “Apply” nothing would happen, and this went on for hours and ended up having to call customer service and dealing with yet another issue.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have read quite a few reviews on how dangerous the scent plug ins can be for your pets. I have pets that I love dearly and nothing I do not care how good they may smell is worth me going through the trauma that these folks did. Losing a pet because of this! I would really like to hear what the company has to say about all this! It is very scary! I have not seen one response from the company yet addressing this issue! Please say something. I cannot believe you would risk the life of any living thing just to make some bucks!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I bought a tonne of stuff from Bath & Body Works on Black Friday weekend. It was supposed to arrive on 10th Dec and on 4th Dec they mailed me saying it has already been shipped. 10th Dec passed and when I checked the tracking it said it'll be delivered on 11th and that it was at the facility. It wasn't delivered on the 11th. I contacted customer service by mail and haven't received a reply. I tried tracking it on the UPS site and now it doesn't have an estimated date anymore. The customer call center thinks it's best to wait. After almost 3 weeks of waiting this is highly unreasonable and very inefficient. Not the product but the online shopping and delivery system is just painful. I am still awaiting my parcel which I'm not sure might even arrive.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I bought three different transactions. When I got home I realized I was missing two items. I called the store and talked to a manager who said to bring my receipt and she would give me the items. I said I could not come until the next day due to the weather (it was raining cats and dogs). She said it was no problem. When I went back the next day, I spoke to another manager, gave him my receipt and after 5 minutes of waiting he came back and said he watched the video and I got all of my products and that I must have been gravely mistaken and if it wasn't against policy he would bring me back and show me the tape. I left the store and called customer service. Once I got a store representative (they have online and store people) she said that the policy is once you leave the store you are responsible for your items. I said that is not sufficient and I wanted a manager.

She then offered me a $45 gift card and ordered all of the items I was missing plus 2 extra candles and gift bag that I tried to get but was out at the store. I was very please. She was going to overnight it and I was to receive it by Tuesday. I did get the gift card. For a week I kept calling about the shipment. Each time I was told it was in process. Finally, a manager told me that I was not going to get the shipment that I lied about not getting the items per the store and they would only give me another $15 gift card for my trouble as the $45 was for my experience. They said there was no one here that I could speak to and that I was just out of luck and that I was lucky to get what I was getting. I spend a lot of money in that store over $550 in 3 months for gifts and I can't believe how I was treated by everyone!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

There is no way I could tell the repeated bad experiences I have had both in the store or online with this company in just 3 weeks!! I have spent well over 350.00 $ That should have been much less. I am on a fixed income and they never once applied my coupons that they took... 3 times I got home with wrong products!!! When I explained to the manager what had happened, I got, "Oh I’m sorry here is 3 more USELESS coupons to use when you buy more stuff!!!" Then 2 days later the lotions bottles I paid full price for at 12.50! Go on sale for 2.95!!! I am DONE with Bath & Body Works!! I left out that they sent me to go fetch products to get prices. While they stood behind the counter talking... And I am searching the store!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

To make a long story short I looked online and saw where people were talking about returning their wallflowers because they just stopped working. So I called customer service and I spoke with several people and they all told me different things. One lady I spoke with said that I could take them back to the store. I tried taking them back on Tuesday and was told I would have to buy new ones because they only last for two years. The cashier called customer service and explained the situation and they told her not to take them back. I go out to my car and call them myself. I spoke with a man that stated they were supposed to take them back and he would give me an e-gift card in the amount of 50.00$ within 48 hours which is today. He also took my complaint. My issue is that everyone should be aware of their store's policies and procedures. They should also have a way for complainants to know what the status of their complaint is.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

BBW does not sell direct online to Canadians. I recently had an accident and am left with a fractured back and unable to attend the store for XMAS purchase. Tried to order online and was shocked at checkout that it was in US funds equaling more than 40% higher cost than in the Canadian store. When I called the Winnipeg Store, the clerk was short and said there was no possibility I could order direct from them, I had to go through the US website at the higher rate.

This is a rip off to Canadians. I live 1.5 hours from the nearest store and unless I drive in, which I can no longer do at this point, I have no option to purchase the gifts my daughter wanted from this store. With all the store across Canada and millions of Canadian consumers, you would think they would have a CDN online option. BBW products have been on the top of my daughters wish list for years. I am devastated that I cannot even provide Xmas gifts from online for my daughter. So arrogantly American.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I went to purchase online. There was a code for 20% off. Before the code the shipping was 5.99 and the total came to $19.79. Then I entered the code and it deducted $2.40 and now shipping was $9.99 and the total came to $21.55. Please explain to me WHY shipping changed by FOUR DOLLARS and you actually deducted 20%... Needless to say, I did NOT buy this and B&BW is ripping people off. I've been a loyal customer for MANY years... Buh Bye.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I purchased 3 wallflower plug ins and 5 snickerdoodle scents (one plug in for each floor of our home) two and a half weeks ago. Within one week of plugging the wallflowers in my son had a terrible, deep hacking cough. He was put on a round of steroids. Then within days of his appointment I was at the doctor with what they called respiratory distress and put on steroids, an antibiotic and an inhaler. One of my daughters also started with a terrible cough. She has also been seen by her doctor. Two days ago it dawned on me that the only change that had taken place was the addition of the wallflowers. I removed all of them from our home and opened windows to air my house out. We are all improving my children’s coughs have almost completely stopped. I will never use wallflowers in my home again and greatly caution others who are considering purchasing these items.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I’m disappointed in the loyalty=coupons system. This is my third candle day year and I received zero coupons to stack for the big day. I won’t go back again. As for lotions I’m moving towards Lush as they are adopting plastic free packaging. I have some scents from Bath & Body Works that will start making my nose close up and spark allergies because they are so intense. I purchased Dream Cream from Lush and it cleared up my eczema. You will not find a product that’s good for your skin at Bath & Body Works. It’s all about the fragrances. Go plastic free. Go green.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I've been a customer of Bath and Body works for almost a decade now and it's the first time I had a problem receiving my order packages. I called Bath and Body works to get an explanation from them and I was told that it's not their problem and asked me to call local post office instead. I've been dealing and still waiting for my package for over 2 weeks now. Very disappointing. Why do I have to call people to search where my package went? So much for paying shipping and handling. Bath and Body Works customer service wasn't a help either.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I’ve been using their products for many years. Recently, my hands had been itching terribly and I could feel little bumps forming on my hands. On the palm side of my hands and fingers, I got multiple small blisters that formed together into larger clusters. Not only did they itch really bad, but my hands looked horrible. I’d used the body wash, the spray and the lotion in Amber Blush. I’d also used Endless Weekend lotion that I kept in my purse and on my desk at work. In addition to the blisters, my hands were really inflamed (pinkish/reddish color, and they were burning. I had to use a very powerful steroid ointment that was prescribed by my physician in addition to taking allergy meds to help calm my symptoms. I did not have this issue prior to them changing the formula in their products. I now have a ton of body products that I can no longer use. I’ve had no known allergies up until I broke out from their products.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I am very disappointed in the Wallflowers. I can't smell them at all. I can smell Glade plug ins. I will not be buying this product anymore, waste of money. They use to smell very strong, but know I think they are not putting the same amount of oil in the Wallflowers.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Ok so I decided to try a new shampoo and went to Bath & Body Works. I was actually a little disappointed that I found out it leaves my hair really thick. Whenever I use this to shower, my hair immediately gets thick and is really hard to wash, probably since it’s a 2-in-1. But it left my hair really thick during the shower and after, I already broke a comb trying to straighten out my hair and I’m just wasting my money! And I’ve been shampooing my hair for at least a week and still no difference. Again, pretty disappointed and I would not recommend this to another person/friend.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Just left the Bath & Body in Commerce, Ga. There’s the usual sale for buy 3 get 2 free. And of course, the item of higher cost is supposed to be charged. I asked the cashier if the items were prorated (the bs reason they gave me in Danville, Va) or were they actually honoring what the sign by the items stated. She said, “whatever the sign said.” She rang up the items and lo and behold all three items were charged. I told her this was the same foolishness that happened in VA so she asked her co-worker who tried to give me the same spiel that the cashier in VA gave me.

I had 5 items, 3 of which applied to sale. Before she rang up the last two items the sub total was $25. Now if the most expensive of the 3 was $13, and it’s buy 3 get 2 free, where’s the discount? “Oh, they take a little off of each product,” she says. So I told her “put that on a sign instead of buy 3 get 2 free. That’s false advertising.” Has anyone else experienced this at a Bath & Body store?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I made an online purchase on Black Friday for home fragrances. Good deal but 3 get 3 free included a free tote bag with a $30.00 purchase before taxes. Well I made that requirement and I added promotion code and it said, "You are good. Proceeded to checkout and completed purchase." Nowhere did I see it asking for promotion code to be added again and why should it since I already added to my order. Well I followed up immediately with customer service and was told I had to add at check out. I explained that there was not a place that I seen asking for this and again why should it since I had already added to my bag? They could not help me so I lost out on my free tote bag. I have purchased many things thru Sephora and Ulta and never had an issue getting any promotions at checkout. So beware ordering online with this store. They might rip you off like they did me?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I think Bath & Body Works thinks their customers can’t do simple math!!! HOW IS YOUR BLACK FRIDAY SALE A SALE AT ALL!? Last week their candles were $12.95 for one... If you were to buy six the total is $77.70. Their CRAP sale is buy three candles for 24.50 and get 3 free... $73.50 is that price so you only save $4.20!!! IT'S NOT A SALE AT ALL!!! SHOP AMAZON FOR SALES!!! No longer a customer at Bath & Body Works and I’ll spread the word of their NON Black Friday sales!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

If you have coupons, only one promotion code will work. So they send you multiple coupons in the mail and also a coupon for a free gift that is good online but won’t work if you apply a 20% off code with your order. So you can’t even get a free gift. And if they have a special online with $2.50 for hand soaps which should automatically be applied at checkout, you still have to put a code in to get that price. No sense in ordering online as they have “old school” technology!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I always thought the store was a joke with the "if you buy this you get that" or "if you spend this much, you can get this much." WHAT A SCAM!!! BUT Now, I plugged in a wallflower, after two hours the house was fully engulfed in pine smell. Then I saw a puddle under my dishwasher. I told my husband the dishwasher was leaking. As he went to inspect it, I noticed the wallflower I had plugged in two hours before was empty. I then told him that it was the wallflower that had leaked across the counter, down the dishwasher and on to my hardwood floor.

The display area on my dishwasher is DISINTEGRATED. As several people mentioned before that this substance has ruined a COMB, A RADIO, A KITCHEN COUNTER AND A DINING ROOM TABLE. Please take this off the market. I cannot get the smell out, my dishwasher front is ruined and the smell is permeating. I am literally cooking sauerkraut to get the smell out of my house. What a joke this company is. and DANGEROUS!!! Stop. Stop. Stop. Do not buy from these people. The whole company is a scam.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Shopped easily online, no lines to wait at stores, great sales on liquid hand soaps, great holiday and brand scents, very fast delivery. I will shop online more often. My relatives and company absolutely love your hand soap scents... Thank you again for your great products.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

These are pretty nice. There is all sorts of scents, but I like to go with the sweet and spiced scents. They last about 3 weeks. The night lights on the scent diffusers work great, and they are perfect for bathrooms, bedrooms, and hallways. I would recommend the double sided diffusers for larger rooms.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

These do smell amazing but my husband had an allergic reaction and was sneezing constantly until I got rid of them. I also have cats and my oldest cat was vomiting constantly. It's a shame because I really loved the way they made our home smell.

Bath & Body Works Company Information