Call toll free
800-915-4952
3.26/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Anyone can be a victim of identity theft. Rest easier knowing your identity has protection with LifeLock. LifeLock is a leading provider of proactive identity theft protection services for consumers and identity risk and credit worthiness assessment for enterprises. Since LifeLock were founded in 2005, they have been pioneers in identity theft protection, leveraging unique data, science and patented technology and providing identity threat detection, identity alerts, and comprehensive remediation services, the cornerstones of its business. LifeLock is committed to providing its consumers some peace of mind amid the threat of identity theft.

2272 LifeLock Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

The service intermittently loses connection with your bank so they will not send you alerts and you don't know this unless you log into your account. Every month you get the same alerts over and over about your mortgage, credit card payments etc. The software is not smart enough to know these are recurring payments and therefore should not alert you. Because the last I knew the bad guys would not be logging into your account and pay your bills! It did recently alert me to some fitness website allegedly tied into my name on the dark web, but I have no clue what it is and they give you no help identifying. I am only paying for the base service through my work so maybe that is why. Perhaps the more you pay the more they protect you. I guess on some level it may work but you might as well investigate the credit protection offered through the credit bureaus, you couldn't do any worse.

Get expert buying tips about Identity Theft Protection delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

LifeLock mixed up two accounts. I called and they couldn't resolve it. I transferred the money from one account into the other and closed one of the accounts. LifeLock stopped monitoring both accounts, again I called. It's needless to say after being transferred from rep to rep several times I still did not make any progress. I managed to finally, after another hour get in touch with their subscription dept. I cancelled my membership. I lost all confidence in their ability to protect anything.

Original review: March 17, 2019

10 days ago LIFELOCK lost connection with my bank and there has been no way for me to reconnect because LIFELOCK has been having technical problems. A service ticket has been sent to their technical department and the problem has not been corrected. When I spoke to the last LIFELOCK representative I was told the problem could take 2 weeks or 2 months or 2 years to be resolved, however I am still receiving protection as well as other services, just No Monitoring with the major Bank that I had been receiving monitoring services and that I would have to do that on my own until the technical problem was fixed. I had been told by a supervisor that this could take up to 7 days and I would be receiving updates by phone as well as emails. This Never Happened. I normally do not receive poor customer service from companies that I deal with, however I have this is Not the case with Lifelock.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I called customer support to get my email address changed. Also couldn’t remember my member ID. I was on the phone for about an hour — the support person kept asking me to go through the same steps again and again. She refused to transfer me to someone else. After an hour of frustration, she submitted a ticket. I called 2 days later after hearing nothing. The new support person said it could take 2 hours to 2 months to get my email address reset. So...if they can’t even reset an email address why do I believe they can monitor my credit rating and social security number?

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 03/18/2019 and addressed her concerns.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Maybe it's a scam, but after 4 years of being with them I realized I was being way overcharged for services. And when I complained, no one cared, but they did send me a dark web alert on the last day of my contract, and then, of course, I couldn't even see what it was.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

Original review: March 13, 2019

The phone representative made a mistake during original registration (substituting my street address for my last name), which affects the search features connected to privacy monitoring. After repeated and tedious communications with the support team, the problem remains unsolved. I paid for their premium service and have received little/no help in resolving their mistake.

Original review: March 11, 2019

My wife received an email from Lifelock about a dark web alert. When checking Lifelock no alerts were found. When trying to cancel our accounts Lifelock required extensive confirmations of my identity and it took over 30 minutes to get them to disable the auto renew. I was put on hold several times and left with the feeling they are a total scam. Lifelock has never alerted us to new loan applications, but other free services have notified us. Don't waste your money for a self-service company that makes it all but impossible to leave.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 9, 2019

I had a collection on my credit score by Sprint. I have never done any businesses with that company. I reached out to LifeLock, concerned about identity theft. I was told to contact Sprint and the credit bureaus directly to solve this. What is the use of having LifeLock if I have to solve this problem on my own?

LifeLock response

LifeLock attempted to contact this member on 03/11, 03/13, and 03/18 via telephone and email. We would be happy to address the member’s concerns, should they return our calls.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Simply put, I signed up for LifeLock largely due to a promotion it was offering. LifeLock's promotion was 10,000 American Airlines miles. LifeLock refuses to honor that promotion. After nearly 6 weeks of inquiry, it appears that LifeLock is no closer to honoring that agreement.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I paid to protect my entire family with LifeLock. Not cheap. Thought we were getting a program that can identify and clearly update us regarding any suspicious activity. The problem is the members you add to "YOUR" account cannot be viewed if they are over 18. They said I needed a power of attorney filed with them to view any alerts that I received on my account that I signed up for and added them to.

What a huge hassle. Just wanted to see what the alert was for my spouse and could not. What’s the point of paying for protection for your entire family if you only have access to your specific alerts and not the immediate family members you added? It’s a joke. The customer service agent was not helpful at all regarding this issue. LifeLock needs to rethink how their customers are allowed to add family members and charge us for doing so, even though we cannot get updates without going through a bunch of red tape. I canceled my membership with them. It’s a waste of money and there’s many other avenues to get them same services for free. Do not fall for the advertisements.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I'm going to shorten my 2 1/2 hour hassle to the basics. But, I've documented all the details. I purchased the Ultimate Plus for my husband and myself at the same time. During the online enrollment, I was asked for the emails for both of us. Later, I could only access his account. When I would try my email to create my account (you each have to have your own account) it would say this email is associated with an account already because it was showing under my husbands. I was on the official LifeLock page but was told I purchased a Norton product so they transferred me back and forth each saying the other had to help me.

All I wanted was a login account for myself. No one was able to help. I was "disconnected" twice. I agree with previous complaints in that if they record these phone conversations they need to LISTEN to them! Most barely speak English and don't care if you cancel. They don't know their product and all 6 people I spoke to offered no solution to what should have been a simple problem. I cancelled the same day purchased because if they aren't able to help me log in, how will they help me with a real problem like identity theft!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I am very dissatisfied with LifeLock after a recent support inquiry. I received mail stating that I had opened an account at a credit union, only I had not. I contacted the credit union to alert them that this was fraud, and they said I needed to submit an Affidavit to that effect (due by TODAY). I called LifeLock to see if this was legit/if I should complete the Affidavit (which contains more personal information that I'm concerned about sharing with an unknown bank/entity), only LifeLock said they won't open a fraud incident/investigation without receiving more info from the Credit Union (EX What information was used to create the fraudulent account in their system).

Calls to the Credit Union for this information have gone unanswered/I can't get the information from them... So... I have no way to report the fraud via LifeLock, or receive advice about what to do next, I haven't returned the Affidavit (due TODAY) out of fear of further compromising myself, and it is unclear whether the situation is resolved or not. What's the point in paying for this service if I can't get help when I need it? Note, I tried to contact LifeLock for support via their web portal, only received the following auto-response: "We are sorry, your request cannot be processed at this time. If you need immediate assistance, please call 1-800-LifeLock (1-800-543-3562)." So, no support via phone or via web portal = Unsatisfied customer.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I do not have a LifeLock account, but keep getting emails and phone calls that someone has applied for a loan or line of credit using my info. They then start asking for private info. NO WAY! I have frozen my credit and do not want to hear from LIFELOCK anymore. Shame on you LifeLock for using scare tactics to sell your services.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Just starting out with LifeLock, I've heard nothing but good about this company, I'm pleased to say that my benefits started immediately from signing up for it. I'm sure they're only beginning to clean up my hackers and identity theft. I'm anxious. Things are looking up.

LifeLock response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We're glad to know that you have peace of mind with your LifeLock membership in place.

Thank you for choosing LifeLock, I hope you have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Kristen Tifft

LifeLock Product Support Analyst

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 4, 2019

My dissatisfaction is not for the protection Lifelock provides but for the ability to print out the monthly summary for tax purposes of reporting the fees on my tax returns. Can't print them out and no notice is sent monthly as a customer. Credit card bill is not acceptable for us to file our taxes to IRS each year as ministers that are required to list housing expenses.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the consumer on 03/11/2019 and addressed her concerns.

Original review: March 4, 2019

My LifeLock account was up for renewal at which time I was already planning not to renew. Before I had the opportunity to call and cancel, I received emails from LifeLock informing me that my account has been canceled, which was fine with me. I attempted to log in to my account and was denied access confirming my account had been closed.

I then discovered a $626.79 charge on my credit card from LifeLock. I’ve yet to receive a refund for this excessive amount after dealing with them for the past week and a half with no answers to how this occurred. When I initially called about the charge, a representative again confirmed my account was canceled and didn’t understand why or how I was charged that amount. I continue getting the runaround being told to wait a few more days for the refund. Not only do I expect a refund but also an explanation to how this could’ve happened in the first place. I’ve asked for an explanation but have yet to receive one. What on earth do they offer for $626 anyway!

Original review: March 1, 2019

There is a $77 charge on the credit card. I called to find out what the time period covered is for $77. Is it a month, 6 months, a year? They would not transfer me to the billing department to answer this simple question.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I was trying a free premium month of LifeLock with the intent of keeping LifeLock with a more economical service that I would have to pay a monthly fee for. So I called LifeLock and to do this. The first person I spoke with I told I wanted to cancel or explore a less expensive option. He said he would have transfer me to retention. I was slightly annoyed that I had to verify my identity twice. I know what the retention department is so I just told gentleman (I use the term loosely) number 2 I wanted to cancel after my 1 month free trial. This is where they are supposed to convince me to keep the service and give me some choices of less expensive offers.

He was so rude. He acted like the idea of free trial was so stupid. He made me feel so stupid. He said things like "what were you trying?" At that point I'm not even sure what I was thinking trying this service. I then proceeded to tell him that I was intending to keep a cheaper version with a month to month plan. He proceeded to tell me it was my intention to do so. Ok, you win. Just cancel. You are rude. They say they record those calls and I hope someone listens to it because this guy definitely doesn't belong in retention. Although, I'm not sure there is any department for a guy like that.

LifeLock response

LifeLock spoke to the member on 02/27/2019 to address her concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have just had my first experience trying to clear up an alert with someone using my child's social security number. It took more than an hour to get someone competent to start the process. I was either disconnected or sent to the wrong department multiple times. Sometimes I spoke with people with very poor English skills. Each time I was re-authenticated and started from the beginning. I learned that I needed to get to the alerts department, but they were not successfully getting me there. I finally have the email with the instructions of what to do, however, they are incomplete. Now I have to get ahold of them again! Their original email alert said that someone would be calling me to start the process and they never did, hence why I had to start calling them. If something this simple is so hard for them, how can I trust anything else that they do for me in the future???

LifeLock response

LifeLock attempted to contact the consumer on 02/22/2019 to address her concerns, and will be happy to address them when she returns the call of our Alerts department.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

In January 2015 I enrolled in LifeLock through my employer. The payments were received through payroll deductions. Previously I had a LifeLock account as an individual but when I found that I could get a better deal I went with my employer. In June of 2018, my wallet was stolen. I reported it to LifeLock and was told that I was not enrolled with them. The funny thing is at that point they had accepted $873 in payroll deductions while knowingly not providing coverage.

I tried to explain to LifeLock that I was covered through my employer but customer service was unable to help me. Eventually customer service at LifeLock told me that the reason I was not covered was because they still had my original account. Their reasoning was you cannot have two LifeLock accounts. The account they were speaking of had been closed out so that one with my employer could be opened. I sent a detailed certified letter to that effect in September of 2015 and was assured that it would be taken care of. Finally my HR Director was able to get the situation straightened out.

I left my job in December of 2018 and I contacted LifeLock via certified mail to ask for a refund for the three and a half years to which I was not covered. I sent detailed backup as proof that they received the money and did not provide the service. I sent a follow-up letter via certified and as of this date they have not even had the courtesy to respond.

Today when I called customer service, after being put on hold for many times I was told that I would have to call my HR director and asked her for a refund for services that LifeLock had not provided but yet took the money for. How ridiculous is that? My next step will be to file a formal complaint with the Attorney General of the state of New Jersey through their Division of Consumer Affairs. I think it's pretty egregious that a company would be so hubris as to not even respond to a letter regarding this issue.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We cancelled LifeLock on 2 occasions. Called. Told them not to renew but they keep charging anyway. Please do yourself a favor and don't start a LifeLock account. Even if you cancel a credit card and get a new one in its place they will find your new card number and charge it anyway. I am going to contact the Attorney General about this company.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 02/20/2019 to ensure their concerns were addressed.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I signed myself and my husband up for LifeLock because I had a credit card skimmed at a service station. I got a slight discount through my employer. When we refinanced our house, I got notices from two free services that I have, making sure that the loan was legitimate. LifeLock? I heard nothing. I signed up for a new credit card and the same thing happened. I also noticed that the credit score showing in LifeLock was several months old. When I contacted LifeLock about these items, I got a response that basically did not address the issues at all (AKA marketing script for anyone who is complaining). Mark me unimpressed. I immediately cancelled the service for both of us.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had a question in regards to my credit report, the last date it was updated was over 6 months ago? I asked them how my report can be accurate when it's only updated once a year, the answer "that's how we do it". I asked another question and the reply was very short, I told them to cancel my 29.95 per month membership and my wife's at the same price. They did not bother to answer again, they just cancelled our memberships!

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the consumer on 02/15/2019 to discuss his concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I've been a "member" of LifeLock for 5 years. Everything seemed fine until I tried to cancel my membership. The "Cancel Membership Renewal" link on their web page is "broken", telling you to call their 1-800. Once you call the 1-800, you are immediately greeted with a person who is trained to browbeat you into not canceling. They use several underhanded tactics to manipulate you, such as putting you on hold multiple times for lengthy periods, and the "create a fear of loss" tactic. "We can give you a better deal, but only today and only if you don't cancel." The last tactic they use is more less a Hail Mary, which they throw everything at you, including the kitchen sink. Is this an identity protection service or a timeshare? After saying no about a million times, I was finally able to cancel my membership.

I sincerely believe that the cancellation link on their web page is purposely setup not to work correctly so that you have to call one of their trained sales staff. There ought to be a law against these kinds of tactics. A member for 5 years and they really didn't do much to protect me. My credit card has been skimmed twice and my debit card once. The banks did more to protect me than LifeLock. My bank actually called me about my debit card and stopped the suspicious activity before they got out of hand.

Pro tips: Never use your debit card for anything. Your debit card is a direct link to your bank account and once it is compromised, your account could be cleaned out. Use a credit card instead. It is easier to get an erroneous transaction reversed on a credit card than it is to get actual money put back in your bank account. Also, use cash at restaurants that take your card out of sight when paying the bill. And last, inspect every credit card reader you encounter, especially at gas stations.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 03/11/2019 to discuss his concerns.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I heard on the radio that Lifelock was offering free Norton security to new members. I called re: this. I was told that I have a "lower level service". I have been a member since 2013, thinking I was covered. I then looked at my file (I had previously not really checked it). I have limited reviews of applications for loans, though I know in the last few months I have applied for two. These were not reflected. I called back, and was told again that I would have a better level of service if I paid more. What does this mean? I have paid over 5 years for a limited poor service??? I am very upset at this time. In addition, my husband has also been enrolled which we have paid for. If I do not hear from someone re: these concerns I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Reports.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have had LifeLock's Ultimate Plus Plan for about 2 years and up until about 3 months ago I was getting the service (Alerts, Transaction Emails). Then it all stopped. No Alerts or Transaction Emails. I have called Lifelock about 20 times, and have spent over 6 hours on the phone on this issue. And every LifeLock Agent that I spoken with has verified the problem I am experiencing but I am still, after 3 months, not getting any Alerts or Transaction emails nor are they showing up on my Dashboard. I have received commitments from a Supervisor, Alex, in Phoenix that this situation would be resolved. I ALSO HAVE ESCALATION NUMBERS ON THE ISSUE BUT AS OF TODAY'S DATE NOTHING HAS BEEN RESOLVED. All I am being told is IT is working on it. How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait to rectify a problem. It shouldn't take 3 Months.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I called in September to cancel the membership and was told I failed the questionnaire about my own information, But I was not properly informed of how to go about re-calling to cancel. So in January I see that I’ve been billed every month since September even though when I called I canceled and never entered my account LifeLock, Upon a five-minute conversation with “Jason” about why I shouldn’t have had LifeLock services in the first place I asked his name and was told I didn’t need to know his last name. But I guess he thought I needed his opinions, of what I should have done in the first place. Very rude!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I found two charges on my credit card where someone flew Air Quata in Bagdad yet they harass me monthly when I pay my recurring credit card bill. When I called, they said they don’t monitor overseas. It took a while to get someone as they couldn’t find my account. I called today and they couldn’t find my account so I asked what the problem was and they had my birthday wrong. I paid $1,200 a year and after a year, they found the problem? I had to call back three times, I couldn’t get online. It took hours and I was sooo stressed out!! Then they charged me $200 to go back into the system.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the consumer on 02/07/2019 and addressed their concerns.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I opened two new visa credit card accounts through South West several weeks ago and still had no notification from LifeLock of someone checking my credit report and opening new accounts. When I called I was told they don't catch all the transactions. These are the most basic transactions, what is the point of this service if I am not being alarmed by credit check and new credit card accounts?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I was the Ultimate Plus member for last three years until one day when I was locked out from accessing to my credit report. I called many times trying to resolve the seemingly simple issue without any result. BTW, I never had the same issues or other issues with two other ID protection services through my bank and Experian. I paid LifeLock around $450/year and only paid around $100 or less to the other services. An ex-customer of Lifelock.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 01/28/2019 and addressed his concerns.

LifeLock expert review by Rob Douglas

Choose from three main packages starting at $9.99 per month. All plans include Norton Security for up to five devices and 24/7 customer support. Optional packages for seniors and children also available.

• Plan options with monitoring: Offers Standard, Advantage and Ultimate Plus Plans that all include credit monitoring.

• 60-day money-back guarantee: LifeLock allows you to try it out with zero risk because they offer a 60-day money-back guarantee to ensure customer satisfaction.

• App included: Be aware of alerts and essential information on the go with the included LifeLock app.

• Personal expense and stolen funds reimbursement: If theft of your identity does occur, you will be reimbursed for personal expenses and stolen funds; coverage amounts vary depending on the plan.

• Million dollar expert coverage: In addition to the reimbursement of expenses and stolen funds, LifeLock also has a plan in place that provides members with up to $1 million in coverage for lawyers and experts to resolve at all plan levels.

Profile picture of Rob Douglas
Rob Douglas Identity Theft Protection Contributing Editor

Rob Douglas is an information security consultant specializing in the investigation and prevention of identity theft and scams. Rob is one of the nation’s leading authorities on the use of social engineering, impersonation, fraud and pretext to steal personal information. For two decades, Rob has assisted the financial services sector, the telecommunications industry, the general business community, government and law enforcement agencies to better understand the scope and methodology of identity crimes through presentations, educational materials, auditing and consultation.

LifeLock Company Information