Call toll free
800-915-4952
4.17/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

LifeLock gives people a sense of confidence to live freely in an always-connected world. We’re a leading provider of proactive identity theft protection services for consumers and identity risk and credit worthiness assessment for enterprises. Since we were founded in 2005, we have been pioneers in identity protection, leveraging unique data, science and patented technology and providing identity threat detection, proactive identity alerts, and comprehensive remediation services, the cornerstones of our business. With more than 3.6 million LifeLock members, we’re committed to providing our consumers some peace of mind amid the threat of identity theft.

2180 LifeLock Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I tried canceling several times. Each time the system never finds you information, so they push you to a human. This person's job is to take so long and ask so many stupid questions that they hope you will get tired of them and quit. Do not sign up with this company. They are no good. Any company that tries to screw with you when you want to quit is a terrible company. LifeLock is one of them. BEWARE!!!

Get expert buying tips about Identity Theft Protection delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Ever since I applied for LifeLock my credit scores are not showing on their website, I'm getting verification text messages from Microsoft the very next day (I use a Microsoft email with LifeLock) and it's just not doing anything for me but making my privacy more public. I hate the service and will not even accept it for FREE. I'm trying to cancel because I don't trust them at all and will keep all 3 of my scores frozen from them, they are NOT safe in my opinion!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I became an Advantage Plan member on 8/19/2018. On 8/21/2018 I was contacted by my primary bank that suspicious activities were occurring with my account... By the end of that day, it appeared that I was a victim of Identity Theft. I find it VERY suspicious that I had just signed up with LifeLock, and almost immediately I became a victim of ID Theft. That is way too coincidental, and I am very skeptical about this company and its employees.

Regardless, I went ahead and made the claim for ID theft on 8/23 with LifeLock. I had not received anything in the mail or any phone calls about my claim. So, on 9/12/2018, I contacted LifeLock and spoken to customer service and was advised that they never opened a claim for me. I questioned why and did not get a straight answer, only a zillion apologies. In the interim, I had to contact all of my banks, credit card issuers, and many other entities to do all of the work, and absorb all of the frustrations that I PAID LifeLock TO DO!!! The person on the phone told me I would receive a call within 2 days from LifeLock's "Restoration Group," to follow up on my claim. "Did any of you people get my call?" because I certainly did not. I then contacted LifeLock and demanded to find out what was going on... After 4 subsequent phone calls, nobody knows and there still was no claim made on my behalf.

Bottom line...horrible company, staffed by horrible, inexperienced staff who do their best to lie to you and cover up their mistakes... The answers to the questions I posed to them were just plain laughable. In addition, they never connected my accounts that I set up, so again, I had to contact all banks, creditors, etc. Bottom line...stay away from this company. They are clearly NOT the company they advertise themselves to be. This entire experience in dealing with LifeLock has been incredibly frustrating, and they could not care less.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I recently notified LL about a notification I received for credit that I opened. What I am concerned about is the previous 3 lines of credit (all 3 auto-related) that I was never notified about. All 3 were out of state transactions. The response I got back was they deemed these issues not serious or came across as suspicious activities. The one I was notified about was probably the least suspicious of the bunch. I question my online safeguarding of this service and will probably cancel my annual (upgraded) subscription when it is time to renew.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Someone steal my name to open a LifeLock account, I found out and called to inquiry and asked to cancel the account immediately. Finally they transferred me to the department who process Account Cancellation. First the staff suspected my identity even I can gave them all of my information to prove myself. Then they wanted me to keep LifeLock account because my identity was stolen. My point is that account is not opened by myself, the thing I need to do is to cancel all the fraud account opened with my name. Not to keep the fraud account remain opened. At the end they cancelled my account but I am pissed to their attitude and how they want to retain me in their business even it's a fraudulent transaction.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

My children have LifeLock and I also got one. I had a problem and LifeLock cleared it up once I got to the right people. However, it was not fast enough and getting there was difficult. Even so, they were right on the ball and I would recommend LifeLock to others.

LifeLock response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We are happy to hear that our specialists provided the level of service you expected. We value you as a member.

LifeLock Product Support Analyst

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I don't get off the farm very often, but the last thing I want is for somebody to jeopardize my ability to pass that along to my children. I do what I can to protect myself and I've always bought insurance. When we started with LifeLock, it cost $9, but then we were upgraded to some astronomical amount. Still, LifeLock notifies us of any updates to our credit. If I forget a password, I'm able to get through. The levels of security are reassuring, but I can't even remember them sometimes and I forget to write them down if I change them. Also, I've been with them for so long and I don't understand why they don't put me on with whatever that new company is that automatically checks me. It's another level of protection and seems to me that it wouldn't be that tough to add it on to mine because I've been paying my arm and leg, and ain't never made a claim on it. Nevertheless, I'd recommend LifeLock.

LifeLock response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We're glad to know that you have peace of mind with your LifeLock membership in place.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I canceled my membership after 10 months because LifeLock kept losing the connection to my accounts plus I could not connect one account at all. I was not happy with the service with what I was paying for the LifeLock Ultimate Plus. After canceling the service, I must say they were good about refunding the money for the last 2 months (I paid in full for annual membership).

However, when I tried to get LifeLock to permanently delete my account with all account information, I was instructed by a CSR to contact their Legal Department in Tempe, AZ, which I did on 2 different occasions, mailing 2 letters. However, I have gotten no response and when I tried calling again, I was essentially told by the CSR there was nothing they could do on their end. I have read about LifeLock's security breach and hence, my request to delete all information from their site and all sources, is not unreasonable. I rate them at 2 stars and that is being generous.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I did some research online and saw that there were very good reviews for LifeLock. Identity theft was a growing issue, so getting identity theft protection was a smart thing to do and LifeLock has been a godsend. I had retired a year ago and I'm not sure how my information got out, along with my wife's information. It may have been due to the Anthem leak. About 6 months ago, I got a text from LifeLock saying that someone was trying to open up a cellular account under my name and that they had my name, address, birthdate, and Social Security number. I responded to the text, which also suggested that I log on to their website. I did that and confirmed that it wasn't me. I called LifeLock and they connected me to their Fraud Department. The person I spoke with contacted AT&T, got AT&T's Fraud Department on the phone, and canceled the application. Then a couple of weeks later, my wife got a text about the same thing.

Over the last couple of months, there has been three more attempts for me with Sprint and Verizon. If it wasn't for LifeLock, I would be having to fight those battles on my own with the carriers. LifeLock notifies me right away or, at worst, within 24 hours and it's probably within a few hours of the application going in with the carriers. Their team is extremely professional. We talked about putting a credit freeze with the Credit Bureaus, which I did. They were very helpful, not just to resolve the situation at hand, but to further improve my security. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I'm a 300 dollar customer, I purchased a new car in the last month, I was surprised to not receive a notice from LifeLock that my credit had been accessed so I called and asked why. I also had received a letter from JPMorgan explaining why they turned me down (my credit score was 797). One reason was too many checks on my credit, well I had done nothing over the last year to warrant a credit check, and had received no notices of checks from LifeLock. When I called they had my correct information and their response was, "We can't check everything." When pressed the agent got aggressive with me so I asked to speak with a supervisor, was put on hold and apparently left there.

After about 5 minutes I hung up, called again, got the same responses, without the attitude, was connected to a supervisor who suggested I must have given them bad information and that they can't cover everything, was the passed to supervisor who emailed me, suggested I'd given them bad info , and that they can't cover everything, this led to a phone call where he said Equifax was a company they should have heard from (the company JPMorgan indicated they used) so that ended with a well check and see what went wrong. This day and age a company like LifeLock is necessary. Despite this major screwup I'll keep my coverage for now for the 1000000 guarantee and help if my info gets stolen and used. I'm older not tech savvy and would not know where to start.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 08/29/2018 and is addressing his concerns.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

LifeLock had a good reputation, so we went in that direction. We've made some major purchases and they've always contacted me to find out if this was something that I purchased. My identity was hacked in June and one of the initial notifications came from them as well. It wasn't the first one but they gave us an indication as well. I've communicated with their reps over the web type stuff. We've got the premium package on both of our computers just because it makes sense to be protected, and if I was gonna do it, I wanted to do the whole thing. It has been very satisfactory.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

After numerous attempts to receive promotional offer of a $25 Amazon gift card, LifeLock did not stand behind their offer. It's been one year, and after many promises, they have yet to deliver on their offer. I will not be renewing my yearly membership with this company. Maybe they should train their customer service team to relay accurate information to the customer and stop offering empty promises.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I’m not very trusting of people anymore and I heard about LifeLock on the radio. A DJ got it for himself and he was really pleased with it, so I went by his word. Having LifeLock is a security measure that at least somebody’ll be watching out. They called me when there was a question of an account being opened in my name, so I appreciated that. The reps were quick to answer my questions and to try to resolve what they found. My interaction with them was excellent, very professional, quick and painless.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I saw LifeLock on television. I thought it was not that expensive and it was worth doing. The first time they called, it was amazing for me. They asked if I recently opened any accounts or utilities. My mother had a place in the mountains in Potter County four hours from our house. I put the utilities in my name and that was what they called about. I'm from York and they thought it was awfully far away from my home just to start a phone and electric utilities. They called the same day.

I have had someone stole my identity twice now. Within 24 hours, LifeLock realized somebody opened an account at Walmart and took care of it. We had gotten that stopped. Another time, they said somebody had my social security and all my records. The warnings that I get in such a timely manner has been a godsend. It's amazing what they do for me. I absolutely love LifeLock and I'd recommend them to anybody.

LifeLock Product Support Analyst

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

LifeLock was offered free on AOL. Since it's free and I like the idea, I decided to get it. I've been using their services for a year and a half now and so far they advised me of two different instances of problems. The first time, they advised me that three credit cards have been opened up in my name and they helped me get all three closed. There was another one and they helped us out too. I was really impressed because when I contacted the banks involved, they were on the line with me and it turned out that one of the banks had screwed up. They said they had canceled the card and they hadn’t. It was through a couple of questions that he asked if that was uncovered and then they took care of it. It was very thorough on LifeLock's part. Given my experience, I've advised my son to have it. Anybody who doesn’t have LifeLock is not thinking too straight.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Lifelock is right there to take my money, but good luck if you want to make changes, or if bank information can be accessed by them... what a waste! There was no mobile password when I set up Lifelock, but it is apparently "required" to talk to anyone. Since it doesn't exist, no one is able to make my changes. Now I just want OUT, will handle my own security.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I am disappointed that LifeLock has forced customers to agree to a class action waiver. Many unsuspecting customers are signing away a principal means of quality assurance. There should be a consumer backlash.

LifeLock response

LifeLock has contacted the member and addressed their concerns.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

When there are issues, LifeLock would send me emails first and I would answer the questions. Then they follow-up with a phone call and then they get the institutions on the line with me. We get it straightened out and get the credit applications frozen. Then they’re supposed to notify their credit unions and it’s not supposed to be going against my credit score. Recently, I had seven attempts in two days and it has been tough. Yesterday, I had four phone calls with LifeLock. There were four different banks where people tried to get charge cards. But LifeLock's reps have been very professional and helpful. LifeLock was who I chose for protection after my identity was stolen through Equifax. And you should sign up with LifeLock as fast as you can too.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We had a couple of incidences where we had someone go and try to steal our identity. We kept seeing LifeLock on TV and we thought it would be the best thing for us. They have helped us in every situation. Recently, someone tried to open up a charge account using my name at Capital One and they got on it quickly. They called me and put me in touch with Capital One and we eventually put it off. We got everything squared away and found that it was a fraudulent person trying to use my identity for a credit card of their own.

There’s never been a lingering thing and LifeLock usually sends me a couple of emails. The email they send tells me to check the actions that have happened. I usually check that and it tells me to call. I also get a text and then it tells me to call LifeLock as well. They let me know more than just one way. The biggest thing is when we’ve had someone for the first major thing about stealing our identity and the banks could only do so much. There’s just so much paperwork you have to do and LifeLock makes it a lot easier.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Somebody stole my Social Security number a couple of years ago so I joined LifeLock. Then around last month, someone stole my identity and started charging things and opening up different accounts. They went into JCPenney's and had all my information, and JCPenney let the them charge on my charge card. When these things happened, the rep sat on the phone with me and called every account that that person opened an account with. He then made sure that those companies would take it off of my credit history. Some of them took a long time to get back and say that they knew that it was fraudulent. Still, all of them haven't come back. Nevertheless, I was glad that I was already a member of LifeLock when this stuff happened. It was good dealing with them considering the help that they've given me. I've had more peace of mind, knowing that someone is there to help and I've recommended them too.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I was a victim of a break-in and identity theft. A friend at church told me about LifeLock and I signed up with them. So far, I have received alerts and follow-ups whenever I would contact them about those alerts. I have been pleased with their service and my interactions with their reps have been excellent. They were very patient and they explained things clearly even when I didn't understand them. When I called, I readily got through and they stayed on the phone until they were confident that I understood things. They also expressed their level of professionalism as well as what I perceived to be a genuine concern. So I'll be renewing my contract with them when it is time. I am sorry that having them is necessary but I'm thankful that LifeLock is there.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Magically they entered in our bank acct info correctly in order to bill us but after 3 attempts they never were able to enter our correct email address. As a result we never received any notifications or activity alerts. Complete ripoff of a service.

LifeLock response

LifeLock attempted to contact the member on 08/27/2018, 08/31/2018, and 09/05/2018 by phone and email and would be happy to address her concerns when she returns our calls.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I seen and heard LifeLock's advertisements and I didn’t hear of anybody else. I experienced fraud and LifeLock put a couple of things to rest for me. I had a bill from PayPal that was a fraud and they helped me take care of that. They had made phone calls on my behalf on different accounts that were trying to be opened in my name and we got those shut down also.Their team has been very positive and very good. LifeLock is very helpful and at this point in time, I'm very, very pleased with them.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I had had some issues with my credit cards being stolen. Since I had heard most about LifeLock, I went with them being the company that seemed most familiar. I've had a number of times now where someone was trying to open up either a bank account or a new credit card in my name, and LifeLock has been a very good and helpful service. Their team has been very accommodating and really have done everything to help clear up the issue. I really appreciate that they're on top of things. It was a very good experience and I felt very comfortable having somebody who could help me. I'm very pleased with LifeLock and I would recommend it to everybody.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I've had LifeLock a long time and I took it for granted. But I recently had a pretty bad experience with my information getting loose on the web. Someone filled out an application online for a Home Depot credit card and LifeLock brought it to my attention. I got an email to let me know that it happened and otherwise, I would not have known. With their help, it was shut down very quickly. I talked to them on the phone and they got me in touch with Home Depot and Citibank to make sure the account was shut down and that the bank that it was attached to and Credit Reporting Bureau were informed. They took care of the whole thing and it was very professional and thorough. It couldn't have been a more pleasant experience. LifeLock is a great service to have and I've come to appreciate it.

Kristen

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

My purse was stolen and LifeLock has tracked the notifications. I have the app, so I get the notifications on my phone, and then I get a call. I received many notifications when someone tried to use my info to open accounts and credit cards. LifeLock has assisted with following up on some of the notifications. It took a couple of phone calls to follow through and make sure that accounts weren’t opened. Their team seem very knowledgeable and helpful. They go out of their way to send additional information, stay on the phone and provide clarification if I don’t understand something. However, they can’t work directly with the credit agencies to make sure that the changes are made or that the negative points are removed. I have to do that. People are busy and LifeLock doesn't follow up. Other than that, LifeLock is definitely worthwhile.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I got hit with identity theft about four times and I got tired of going to the police so I got LifeLock. I got numerous warnings from them and we were able to stop at least five attempts to get a credit card using all my information. Somebody had all my information and the only thing different on the applications were the address they wanted the credit cards sent to. It was fantastic dealing with the LifeLock team and they were great. LifeLock is top of the list.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

LifeLock notified me via voicemail that my identity had been stolen. I was in a very awkward international airport then. I called and the lady was incapable of verifying my identity. I hung up and came home. When I got up the next morning, I found an email stating that LifeLock would have to investigate me to see if I had stolen money so that I could apparently steal it from LifeLock. It was a very insulting email for which I paid hundreds of dollars a year, almost $1000 including me and my husband. For the money I pay, I don't deserve to get an email that says they couldn't help me for a week because they have to prove I didn't commit the theft myself. That's just wrong.

I logged in and all the information was there. I called the vendor and explained the situation. The vendor was extremely helpful, disabled the account and sent me an email confirmation. I was done two hours after the next morning, less time than it took me to try to deal with the first woman and less time than it took me to get over the insulting email that I received from LifeLock. A week later, after being all done with that, the woman called me and kept talking about how they were gonna help me resolve my problem. I said that they were doing nothing because I already resolved it while they were investigating me to see if I was a thief.

If all I'm paying for at LifeLock is the data access to see if my identity is stolen, I don't care. I'm good with that. If they don't want to provide any services but an alert and then, I guess if my identity is truly stolen and I apparently can somehow prove that to LifeLock, which I'm completely unsure of at this point, then I guess LifeLock might actually do something other than actually just alert me to the fact that my critical identifying information was stolen and used. A freaking almost $1000 a year is a lot of freaking money to be insulted. However, I am happy to pay the money for LifeLock because I and my husband had been hacked at least eight times. Every data point that could ever exist about either of us is on the dark web or whatever the equivalent of the dark web is these days.

When my credit card was stolen, my bank was all snippy about it and I said, "Well, I can just send you the notification from LifeLock that it's for sale on the dark net." Their attitude changed 100%. So my experiences when LifeLock notifies me that there's a problem is great. I recommended to anybody. But my naivety was thinking that someone at LifeLock was gonna help me. The part where I got this call alarming me and then there was supposed to be another call, an email and then eventually, I would get an email telling me that, "Oh, we at LifeLock have to verify that this is an actual event," what does that mean?

I have a Verizon cellphone for 10 years. Any phone trace can find that. You just go to Princeton and trace the phone and you know where it is so why would it take LifeLock a week to verify the bona fides of the event. That was just insulting. If they're a week behind in customer service because the volume is so great, they should just say that. What are they gonna verify? And the woman who called me obviously a week later after it was all resolved had obviously not verified anything at all. She did not even know what the situation was beyond whatever email notification she got. LifeLock offers a great service and then they offer a totally crummy service that totally takes away from the great service they offer.

When we had to buy a car, we had to unfreeze my husband's credit account with a single one of the credit rating companies. In that 15 minutes, we had gotten three alerts. One was for one of those super dangerous public databanks where your info is sold. I tried to get my husband off that website, but LifeLock offered no help at all. People who appreciate that they have crummy customer service, but they give an essential service in the hacked world of today are gonna give them high reviews and that's just gonna translate into dumb managers thinking that they need to improve one or the other. However, it got to the point about five years ago where the hackers were just winning and we've done everything. All our credit reports have been frozen for 12 years. We aggressively pursue any junk mailer. We try as hard as we can, but without a service like LifeLock, you just have no protection.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Getting identity theft protection made sense and LifeLock has helped me twice now. They caught someone attempting to establish credit in my name so I'm very appreciative. They were very good and efficient too. They followed through with what they said they were gonna do. It's an excellent service and I highly recommend it.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I wanted to protect my I.D. as I was doing a lot of traveling and LifeLock was the only identity theft protection provider then. They investigated two things and took care of them within a day. They notified me right away and I called them. They're top notch.

LifeLock expert review by Rob Douglas

LifeLock is an identity theft protection company that is headquartered in Tempe, Arizona. Founded in 2005, the company is considered one of the leading identity theft protection companies in the world. In 2017, LifeLock was acquired by Symantec Corp., a world leader in cyber security.

• Standard Plan: LifeLock’s Standard plan includes all SSN and credit alerts. It also includes lost wallet protection, address change verification, website surveillance, LifeLock Privacy Monitor and $25,000 in stolen funds reimbursement. The Standard plan costs $9.99 per month.

• Advantage plan: The Advantage plan includes everything in the standard plan but increases reimbursement funds to $100,000. The Advantage plan also adds data breach notifications, bank and credit card activity alerts, an annual credit card report and a VantageScore credit report from one bureau. The Advantage plan costs $19.99 per month.

• Ultimate Plus plan: LifeLock’s Ultimate Plus plan includes the features of the Advantage plan but adds an annual credit report from three bureaus, monthly VantageScore tracking, 401(k) and investment alerts, credit inquiry alerts, sex offender registry alerts and priority live member support. The Ultimate Plus plan costs $29.99 per month.

• $1 Million service guarantee: LifeLock ensures that the company will spend up to $1 million to help get a customer's identity back on track after a case of theft. Check LifeLock's website for its legal policy regarding its terms, conditions and exclusions.

• App service: Users can track their identity protection service with LifeLock’s cell phone application.

• Best for: people at risk of identity theft, families and people who frequently use credit cards.

Profile picture of Rob Douglas
Rob Douglas Identity Theft Protection Contributing Editor

Rob Douglas is an information security consultant specializing in the investigation and prevention of identity theft and scams. Rob is one of the nation’s leading authorities on the use of social engineering, impersonation, fraud and pretext to steal personal information. For two decades, Rob has assisted the financial services sector, the telecommunications industry, the general business community, government and law enforcement agencies to better understand the scope and methodology of identity crimes through presentations, educational materials, auditing and consultation.

LifeLock Company Information