LifeLock

The LifeLock Brand is part of NortonLifeLock Inc.

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.39/5

LifeLock provides modern identity theft protection. With the flood of mobile technology and apps, consumer behaviors and expectations are changing, along with what “identity” actually means. LifeLock is committed to providing its consumers some peace of mind amid the threat of identity theft.

LifeLock identity theft protection uses innovative monitoring technology and alert tools to help proactively safeguard your credit and finances.† They will send you alerts for potential identity

theft by text, ‡‡ phone, email or mobile app. If identity theft does occur, a U.S.-Based Identity Restoration Specialist, dedicated to you, is there to personally manage your case.

No one can prevent all identity theft.

† LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses.

‡‡ Phone alerts made during normal local business hours.

BOTTOM LINE

LifeLock provides identity theft protection and monitoring services. The company is an industry leader and offers three different package options.

PROS
  • Variety of plans
  • Remediation available
  • Industry leader
CONS
  • Prices change after the first year

Top LifeLock Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

LifeLock had a good reputation, so we went in that direction. My identity was hacked in June and one of the initial notifications came from them. We've got the premium package on both of our computers just because it makes sense to be protected.

I like the fact that it can actually monitor my bank and charge accounts with site credentials and get actual balance information. The free credit report was a nice addition. [It's] like a virus scanner, it won't catch everything, but the insurance is the best part.

LifeLock services

LifeLock is considered to be an industry leader in providing individual and business identity theft protection. They offer three different package options, from basic monitoring to full protection and recovery of your money or identity. LifeLock is recognized by the Online Trust Honor Roll and partnered with the digital security software company Norton.

LifeLock notifies you if your information is compromised by monitoring major data breaches, credit reporting agencies and the dark web. The company offers 24-hour assistance, and if your identity is compromised, LifeLock will assist you by providing lawyers to help litigate your case, plus reimbursement for your expenses and lost property.

LifeLock is a membership organization where customers can choose between membership levels. If you are looking for identity theft protection for your business, you can call the company for a quote.

LifeLock plans and pricing

LifeLock provides identity theft and digital security protections at three membership levels: Select, Advantage, and Ultimate Plus. Each plan offers an introductory rate, with a price increase after the first year. The chart below provides an overview of LifeLock cost by plan.

PlanFirst-year costCost after first year
Select$9.99/month$14.99/month
Advantage$19.99/month$24.99/month
Ultimate Plus$29.99/month$34.99/month

Select: Offers $25,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds and security for five electronic devices, plus the regular LifeLock benefits.

Advantage: Offers $100,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for 10 devices, bank and credit card alerts and alerts for crimes in your name.

Ultimate Plus: Offers $1 million in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for an unlimited number of devices, bank and credit card alerts, 401(K) investment alerts, alerts for crimes in your name, and reports from all three credit bureaus.

How does LifeLock work?

Most of the time, LifeLock members will be able to forget they are even customers — which, according to LifeLock, is the point. As a LifeLock customer, you can rest assured your data is secure.

Once you join, you simply make monthly payments and the company closely monitors your information. When something suspicious occurs, you are either alerted by phone, text or a notification from the LifeLock app.

If you want to engage with the company further, they offer a credit report, an online portal to show your profile, and notifications about any data breaches that may affect your information.

Do we recommend LifeLock?

LifeLock has been the industry leader in identity theft protection for more than a decade. The company boasts nearly 5 million members and returned millions of dollars in assets to people who have had their identities or property stolen. Although a price tag up to $34.99 a month may not be as cheap as other companies, it does provide the broadest range of coverage with a company known to maintain a high level of service.

LifeLock Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

My experience is that it costs money to protect your home, cars, life, and things of value. But if that is what protect, you are skipping the most important element: your identification. Lifelock sets roadblocks against what thieves will do with your info to ruin your finances and credit. And both are really your foundation to living. Lifelock offers a trial in which you may sign up and use all the protection they offer to assure that when your id is stolen (and you may not know that until it is too late) Lifelock will immediately notify you and take action to stop the steal and protect you from any further intrusion. Protect yourself.

Get buying tips about Identity Theft Protection delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I have been pleased with the monitoring of my accounts and personal information after having been exposed in the Equifax security breach about four years ago. I am much comfortable knowing I have Life Lock monitoring for possible ID theft or financial fraud. I check my alerts and for the first time on January 23, 2021 I had an alert that my personal information had been used to apply for a checking/savings account with JP Morgan/Chase Bank. I immediately responded to the alert that I had not made any application or ever dealt with JP Morgan/Chase. Life Lock started an investigation.

My only disappointment has been no follow-up communication from Life Lock about the investigation. I have used both telephone and online communication with Life Lock on additional measures I could take to better protect my financial and personal information. I received very good service and response to my inquiries and I have taken additional steps too for more security as a result.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I called Lifelock because I wanted to merge my Lifelock and Norton accounts because I was currently paying separately for both. When I called in the agent was very nice but said I had to wait until the 8th of Sept to merge accounts. My question is why did I have to wait? He said it was because my Norton acct would run out on the 8th. So, I'm hoping when I call in today with my reference number they understand what I'm talking about and will merge the two accts and that I won't lose the info that I have already in my original Lifelock acct. The agent gave me the above Ref. number but no order number. I would like to say the agent Carlos was extremely polite and understanding and tried to do everything he could to accommodate me so please don't think he did anything wrong. I think he was following the rules and his hands were tied. I don't blame him for anything. I wish all agents were as nice and helpful as him.

LifeLock response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We are happy to hear that our specialists provided the level of service you expected. We value you as a member.

Sincerely,

Autumn Moore

NortonLifeLock Product Support Analyst

Original review: May 3, 2020

LifeLock seems like paying for what you can get for free...I had an opportunity years ago to have LifeLock as a sample product, and I wasn't impressed. Unless you've got a lot of investments and you're wheeling and dealing all over the place, I don't think that level of paid protection is necessary in today's day and age. If you've got a few credit cards and a couple bank accounts, just use the free automatic alerts. Set thresholds, and you'll see if any unauthorized activity is going down, and all in real-time. LifeLock might be a great option for people with diverse investments and properties/big ticket purchases, where they've got a lot of money floating around and it's hard to track or they're just feeling vulnerable, or those who do not wish to get into tech dealing with push notifications, emails, and similar alert options.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I had a problem with a couple of the warnings that came up on my site. One in particular indicated that my name was on another deed in the city in which we lived. I was basically advised to research it myself which I did and could find nothing in the public records for my name on that particular home. When I asked them how they came up with this information or what should be done to further investigate it they told me that I didn't have to worry about it as I hadn't found anything when I checked the deeds. I am still at a loss as to how they came up with the info in the first place.

Original review: March 21, 2021

After paying my fee for decades, I encountered a first-time need to make an inquiry to LifeLock. I was meet with COVID excuses as to why I would need to wait for an unusually long time. After two days I received a bland, boilerplate response. When I have enough time to wait in a phone queue, I will be cancelling my account. Service Not Rendered.

Original review: March 20, 2021

So I signed up for Lifelock in February. Was denied access to my account for a month as a new customer. A month later I'm wondering why I'm paying this subscription. I call customer support. They asked me to confirm the color of a car without giving a VIN. This is after sharing address information with some random rep. Then, insisting that it had to be one of the options provided, he would not skip the question even though the public record it was drawn from was obviously incorrect. All were bad options or called on the consumer to tell a lie (that I didn't have the car). As a result the rep said I failed the authentication.

I then requested to cancel the account. Of course, they couldn't cancel since I "failed" the authentication. Starting to think I have identity issue as this is happening I call into account the integrity of the organization. 45 minutes wasted. And then appeared a charge for LifeLock on my bank account. Absolutely terrible service on all counts. Never will I do business with this company.

Original review: March 20, 2021

I received an alert about a credit hit that was not mine. This was the same alert that my credit card company alerted me to a day before. Since I was paying for LifeLock I set it to dispute the claim and they said they would look into it and call me when they needed more info or to go over the progress. After a while of not hearing anything, I called just to make sure that they didn't need something from me to proceed on this dispute. I was told when I called that they were still investigating and would contact me when they had more info. I was also told that "they tried to contact me several times before I called" which was a lie as I received no call or email from the company.

After some more time, I decided to look into the issue myself, spending several days hunting down information and calling and holding in order to figure out what happened and how to resolve it. It took a fair bit of time but I resolved the situation myself. I contacted LifeLock via their question for to ask why I still had heard nothing from them and why I had to take care of things myself and received no response.

Earlier this month, now more than 6 months later, I noticed that the disputed notification is STILL listed as disputed in my account so I contact them once again to ask what is the status of this and they told me to call them. I told the person that I don't have time to call them as I'm very busy during the workday and they can email or call me as they had previously said they would "when they had more info" on the dispute. I was told that the dispute has been resolved but I need to call them to go over it.

It seems that they simply can't be bothered to contact me despite saying that they would and forcing me to waste more time on hold and on the phones waiting to go over an issue that I resolved myself because they couldn't be bothered to do so. I don't know if I will bother to call in if I have free time during my work day or not, but the simple fact that a service that I pay for can't be bothered to contact me while I waste time resolving the issues that I'm paying them to help me with and then force me to be the one to reach out instead of doing so themselves is absurd.

Original review: March 8, 2021

We have been LifeLock subscribers for years and other than having to call them about a credit card being compromised (yes, we notified them), we have not needed their services. A couple of weeks ago, I received an email notification regarding exposure of a password on the dark web which prompted me to request a verification code to see the entire password. I was unable to receive a verification code from LifeLock. Online chat lead me to a link to subscribe to LifeLock before they would answer any questions which prompted me to call the 800 number where I waited over 45 minutes to speak with a representative who needed to be stopped from reading boilerplate paragraphs about the dark web and finally opened the first ticket.

I have spent numerous hours with LifeLock’s online chat, customer service department via their 800 number and after seven days via email—yes, it took them seven days to send an email (loaded with boilerplate information) that resolved nothing. The emails have lead nowhere (although for some unforeseen reason, they opened a second ticket for the same thing). After all this time, they cannot provide a verification code for me to view my password. How basic is this from a possible info sec breach perspective!?! I find myself questioning the value of LifeLock.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I appreciate all alerts. There is one that could be improved with additional info. I received alert that my email and at least one formerly used PW was discovered on the Dark Web as a coupled item. I changed almost all of my vulnerable passwords, but I need more info on how vulnerable keeping my email address is without hackers having access to current passwords.

LifeLock Company Information