LifeLock

The LifeLock Brand is part of NortonLifeLock Inc.

3.9/5 (487 ratings)

About LifeLock

LifeLock provides modern identity theft protection. With the flood of mobile technology and apps, consumer behaviors and expectations are changing, along with what “identity” actually means. LifeLock is committed to providing its consumers some peace of mind amid the threat of identity theft.

Pros

• Variety of plans
  • Remediation available
  • Industry leader

Cons

• Prices change after the first year

Bottom Line

LifeLock provides identity theft protection and monitoring services. The company is an industry leader and offers three different package options.

Top LifeLock Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

LifeLock had a good reputation, so we went in that direction. My identity was hacked in June and one of the initial notifications came from them. We've got the premium package on ...

Verified

I like the fact that it can actually monitor my bank and charge accounts with site credentials and get actual balance information. The free credit report was a nice addition. [It'...

LifeLock services

LifeLock is considered to be an industry leader in providing individual and business identity theft protection. They offer three different package options, from basic monitoring to full protection and recovery of your money or identity. LifeLock is recognized by the Online Trust Honor Roll and partnered with the digital security software company Norton.

LifeLock notifies you if your information is compromised by monitoring major data breaches, credit reporting agencies and the dark web. The company offers 24-hour assistance, and if your identity is compromised, LifeLock will assist you by providing lawyers to help litigate your case, plus reimbursement for your expenses and lost property.

LifeLock is a membership organization where customers can choose between membership levels. If you are looking for identity theft protection for your business, you can call the company for a quote.

LifeLock plans and pricing

LifeLock provides identity theft and digital security protections at three membership levels: Select, Advantage, and Ultimate Plus. Each plan offers an introductory rate, with a price increase after the first year. The chart below provides an overview of LifeLock cost by plan.

PlanFirst-year costCost after first year
Select$9.99/month$14.99/month
Advantage$19.99/month$24.99/month
Ultimate Plus$29.99/month$34.99/month

Select: Offers $25,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds and security for five electronic devices, plus the regular LifeLock benefits.

Advantage: Offers $100,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for 10 devices, bank and credit card alerts and alerts for crimes in your name.

Ultimate Plus: Offers $1 million in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for an unlimited number of devices, bank and credit card alerts, 401(K) investment alerts, alerts for crimes in your name, and reports from all three credit bureaus.

How does LifeLock work?

Most of the time, LifeLock members will be able to forget they are even customers — which, according to LifeLock, is the point. As a LifeLock customer, you can rest assured your data is secure.

Once you join, you simply make monthly payments and the company closely monitors your information. When something suspicious occurs, you are either alerted by phone, text or a notification from the LifeLock app.

If you want to engage with the company further, they offer a credit report, an online portal to show your profile, and notifications about any data breaches that may affect your information.

Do we recommend LifeLock?

LifeLock has been the industry leader in identity theft protection for more than a decade. The company boasts nearly 5 million members and returned millions of dollars in assets to people who have had their identities or property stolen. Although a price tag up to $34.99 a month may not be as cheap as other companies, it does provide the broadest range of coverage with a company known to maintain a high level of service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

Original review: May 6, 2022

I was notified by a specific bank that my recent application for a credit card had been denied... The problem was that I did not apply for a credit card. LifeLock did not catch that fraudulent activity. When I called them they said that they dont catch everything... Always keep that in mind.

Get buying tips about Identity Theft Protection delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

LifeLock has always been proactive for me. They notify me anytime someone tries to open a credit card in my name without my permission. I highly recommend LifeLock to everyone for personal use and for their businesses.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

LifeLock is great. I had my identity stolen for several years not knowing until the person had late payments and the company contacted us we then found out. Life lock warns us of every activity that takes place on our credit.

Original review: July 30, 2021

Great for people who need help. Always there to help out if you need help with different topics. Knowing you're protected is a plus. Makes me feel good and safe. A lot of people don't know about this and should.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I have LifeLock thru Norton and I always enjoy going thru it to see how I can improve myself. I love dealing with Norton, I rate them as the best company for customer service and also for results with software.

Original review: May 27, 2022

I had LifeLock for a while and then my Amazon account was hacked multiple times. I had accounts opened. I had accounts closed. It was a nightmare. Each time when I contacted LifeLock, I was told “the hack is not coming from the outside.“ This meant my Amazon account was being hacked by someone within Amazon but that is not something that LifeLock can catch. It only can catch other parties. It may work for some people but it did not work for me.

Original review: May 24, 2022

LifeLock was good company, but since Norton took over the Life-Lock it went down to hell. They are not keeping their promise and what they advertise every service you add extra subscription. I am with "Life Lock" since 2008. Never had single issue. They kept all the promise and services. Since Norton purchased the "Life Lock" everything went down the hill. Outsourcing call center to some weird parts of the world having hard time understanding their English. Some Asian lady removed my wife identity protection without my or her knowledge. Most antivirus company is owned by hackers and crook.

Original review: April 22, 2022

I initially purchased 3 accounts for me, my wife and mother-in-law. Noticed a bill to my credit card for $799 from NortonLife Lock which the upgraded to a family plan on autopay which I never authorized. Called customer service which was a waste of time because his solution was to send me a link by email which was going to charge me another $399 for a new account. When I asked for a supervisor he hung up on me.

Original review: March 18, 2022

My spouse and I were Lifelock customers for 5+ years. Recently, my address was changed on my credit card account, a change which was not initiated by me. I was immediately notified by my bank of the address change and despite closing the account asap, the fraudsters were able to steal over 200K points to make purchases. 5 days after my account was hacked, Lifelock still had not contacted me. When I called to ask the reason they had not notified me, I was told that there is a "delay" and that they only review 1 credit agency, Equifax. They were unable to explain the length of the delay, just that they do not provide real time information. We cancelled our coverages and requested a pro-rated refund. They refused to refund any funds so I requested a call from a supervisor. I was provided a case number and was told I would get a return call within 3-5 days. It's been a week and I did not receive a phone call.

After paying for this service for years, when I could have used their services, they did not notify me. I learned that they do not provide real time notifications. I learned that they monitor only one credit agency. Lastly, when promised a return call from management, they never called me. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

Recently I made a decision to cancel LifeLock Advantage based upon two factors: A person made a fraudulent claim for Unemployment using my social security number. LifeLock did not catch this or send me an alert that this claim was being made. I learned about it when I received notice related of the claim seeking further information. When I reported this to LifeLock, their support was minimal - I had to find my own way to resolve this via state agencies and the internet. I was less than satisfied.

Secondly, the annual cost is significantly higher than a competitor offering what I consider to be a superior product at about half the cost. When I made the decision to change, I contacted customer service and when I told them my intent was to cancel my subscription, I was offered a discount to stay. When I declined, they told me the only thing they could do was to cancel automatic renewal - but they refused to cancel my service now or refund me the balance for the unused portion of the subscription. They will NOT cancel until the renewal date. Needless to say, I am not happy with this policy and can't ethically encourage anyone to sign up with this company.

LifeLock Company Information