Accredited Partner

LifeLock

The LifeLock Brand is part of NortonLifeLock Inc.

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.48/5

LifeLock provides modern identity theft protection. With the flood of mobile technology and apps, consumer behaviors and expectations are changing, along with what “identity” actually means. LifeLock is committed to providing its consumers some peace of mind amid the threat of identity theft.

LifeLock identity theft protection uses innovative monitoring technology and alert tools to help proactively safeguard your credit and finances.† They will send you alerts for potential identity

theft by text, ‡‡ phone, email or mobile app. If identity theft does occur, a U.S.-Based Identity Restoration Specialist, dedicated to you, is there to personally manage your case.

No one can prevent all identity theft.

† LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses.

‡‡ Phone alerts made during normal local business hours.

BOTTOM LINE

LifeLock provides identity theft protection and monitoring services. The company is an industry leader and offers three different package options.

PROS

• Variety of plans
  • Remediation available
  • Industry leader

CONS

• Prices change after the first year

Top LifeLock Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

LifeLock had a good reputation, so we went in that direction. My identity was hacked in June and one of the initial notifications came from them. We've got the premium package on both of our computers just because it makes sense to be protected.

I like the fact that it can actually monitor my bank and charge accounts with site credentials and get actual balance information. The free credit report was a nice addition. [It's] like a virus scanner, it won't catch everything, but the insurance is the best part.

LifeLock services

LifeLock is considered to be an industry leader in providing individual and business identity theft protection. They offer three different package options, from basic monitoring to full protection and recovery of your money or identity. LifeLock is recognized by the Online Trust Honor Roll and partnered with the digital security software company Norton.

LifeLock notifies you if your information is compromised by monitoring major data breaches, credit reporting agencies and the dark web. The company offers 24-hour assistance, and if your identity is compromised, LifeLock will assist you by providing lawyers to help litigate your case, plus reimbursement for your expenses and lost property.

LifeLock is a membership organization where customers can choose between membership levels. If you are looking for identity theft protection for your business, you can call the company for a quote.

LifeLock plans and pricing

LifeLock provides identity theft and digital security protections at three membership levels: Select, Advantage, and Ultimate Plus. Each plan offers an introductory rate, with a price increase after the first year. The chart below provides an overview of LifeLock cost by plan.

PlanFirst-year costCost after first year
Select$9.99/month$14.99/month
Advantage$19.99/month$24.99/month
Ultimate Plus$29.99/month$34.99/month

Select: Offers $25,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds and security for five electronic devices, plus the regular LifeLock benefits.

Advantage: Offers $100,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for 10 devices, bank and credit card alerts and alerts for crimes in your name.

Ultimate Plus: Offers $1 million in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for an unlimited number of devices, bank and credit card alerts, 401(K) investment alerts, alerts for crimes in your name, and reports from all three credit bureaus.

How does LifeLock work?

Most of the time, LifeLock members will be able to forget they are even customers — which, according to LifeLock, is the point. As a LifeLock customer, you can rest assured your data is secure.

Once you join, you simply make monthly payments and the company closely monitors your information. When something suspicious occurs, you are either alerted by phone, text or a notification from the LifeLock app.

If you want to engage with the company further, they offer a credit report, an online portal to show your profile, and notifications about any data breaches that may affect your information.

Do we recommend LifeLock?

LifeLock has been the industry leader in identity theft protection for more than a decade. The company boasts nearly 5 million members and returned millions of dollars in assets to people who have had their identities or property stolen. Although a price tag up to $34.99 a month may not be as cheap as other companies, it does provide the broadest range of coverage with a company known to maintain a high level of service.

LifeLock Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

Original review: May 3, 2020

LifeLock seems like paying for what you can get for free...I had an opportunity years ago to have LifeLock as a sample product, and I wasn't impressed. Unless you've got a lot of investments and you're wheeling and dealing all over the place, I don't think that level of paid protection is necessary in today's day and age. If you've got a few credit cards and a couple bank accounts, just use the free automatic alerts. Set thresholds, and you'll see if any unauthorized activity is going down, and all in real-time. LifeLock might be a great option for people with diverse investments and properties/big ticket purchases, where they've got a lot of money floating around and it's hard to track or they're just feeling vulnerable, or those who do not wish to get into tech dealing with push notifications, emails, and similar alert options.

Get buying tips about Identity Theft Protection delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Lifelock offered a really good service when I first signed up for their service back in 2009. They were at the forefront of providing good security monitoring in a changing climate of cyber security. Though there were times that my own credit card company alerted me of questionable activity when the Lifelock didn't. Their email alerts are helpful in prompting me to take note of the latest security breaches that are custom-tailored to my accounts.

It has been in recent years they have offered a premium service on top of their standard level of security for an added price, which as a long-time subscriber I feel should not be an added cost since their prices have also risen as well. With many other credit monitoring services available today, I feel that Lifelock should reconsider charging extra for their premium service when there are more credit monitoring services available on the market for less or already included with so many offerings today.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

When you are young you assume you have the rest of your life to correct your mistakes. What if you were being held responsible for mistakes you didn’t make? That’s an awful feeling, that’s exactly what went through my mind after hanging up my call from Lifelock. Someone had attempted to steal my personal information and use it without my permission. Thankfully I am enrolled in the ultimate plus membership with life lock. They alert me when my personal information shows up on third party websites. Where it can be sold to other people on the dark web.

Without my lifelock membership, I would have never known my information had been compromised until it was too late. I use to think that could never be me, but it almost was. Imagine working your entire life to save and work hard to make a living for it to be taken in a matter of seconds. With my lifelock membership I am relieved to know, I have a team of professionals working hard daily. Making sure, that I don’t have to worry about my personal information ending up in the wrong hands or places.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Service as advertised. However, systems...text, VM, PC and PH App are not seamlessly tied together and you may clear the alert and then see it again and again via different sources even though you’ve already cleared/ ok’d it. Notifications are not always clear to interpret. If you are shopping for finance, expect multiple notifications, sometimes many days later. Now trying to push monthly fees to annuals. That tells me they are trying to ensure they keep revenues locked down. Now trying to push another fee at you with Norton Antivirus scare tactics. Too bad no guarantee with it! At $ 30.00 a month it’s not cheap, but I’ve had it for years. I’m retired now and on a fixed income... I am looking at my options.

Original review: July 25, 2019

He listened carefully to my request for advice concerning additional coverage, explained my options, including the cost, reviewed my current coverage and I chose to upgrade. I have been a long-time customer of LifeLock and am completely satisfied with their coverage and feedback each time something new appears on my account. I totally depend on them to keep me safe and I recommend LifeLock to my friends. Thank you for helping me in the past and keeping me safe in the here and now and the future. You're the best!

LifeLock response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We are happy to hear that our specialists provided the level of service you expected. We value you as a member.

Sincerely,

Kristen Tifft

LifeLock Product Support Analyst

Original review: June 24, 2020

This is a waste of time. Could not get answers to my question, no answers to any of my questions, still have no idea about my bill & why it is so high to renew, when I called I never got to talk to any one. Did not get email, no response.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I feel secure that my funds are safe. It's a pleasure knowing that people really care about me when I have any issues no matter how big or small. It's a great feeling to a part of your team, keep up the good work, thanks Lifelock.

LifeLock response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We're glad to know that you have peace of mind with your NortonLifeLock membership in place.

Thank you for choosing NortonLifeLock, I hope you have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Autumn Moore

NortonLifeLock Product Support Analyst

Original review: June 22, 2020

Only take my money every month .. I call about my Social Security card was lost in month of December and I didn't understand everything the customer service provider said... No one help me got my social security card back.. I would like to understand. What am I paying for?

LifeLock response

NortonLifeLock contacted the member on 6/29/2020 and addressed their concerns.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I wanted a simple receipt for my purchase, LifeLock refused to provide a receipt, I needed this for business purposes, they never emailed one, I asked repeatedly for a receipt, electronic was fine, they never responded, never tried to help, never did anything. I emailed again and said, "Well if you can't provide a receipt cancel but only if I get a full refund", so they cancel the account and now no refund, just absurd.

LifeLock response

NortonLifeLock has attempted to reach the member on 6/18/2020, 6/23/2020 and 6/25/2020 and would be happy to assist the member once our calls are returned.

Original review: June 14, 2020

My accounts are disconnecting and LifeLock is unresponsive for almost a month. Their service used to be great until I had an actual problem and now they cannot help me figure out why my accounts keep disconnecting from being monitored. I need someone to help me fix the problem or give me my money back since I’m paying LifeLock for nothing!

LifeLock Company Information