Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 4 stars7%
  • 3 stars5%
  • 2 stars3%
  • 1 stars4%

LifeLock gives people a sense of confidence to live freely in an always-connected world. We’re a leading provider of proactive identity theft protection services for consumers and identity risk and credit worthiness assessment for enterprises. Since we were founded in 2005, we have been pioneers in identity protection, leveraging unique data, science and patented technology and providing identity threat detection, proactive identity alerts, and comprehensive remediation services, the cornerstones of our business. With more than 3.6 million LifeLock members, we’re committed to providing our consumers some peace of mind amid the threat of identity theft.

Suspicious phone call regarding a non-existent bank account. The woman wanted me to confirm my social and became irate when I refused and threatened me with a lawsuit. LifeLock explained what they could or could not do and gave me some helpful suggestions. I feel very comfortable that LifeLock has my back when my financial security is at stake. Thank you, LifeLock!

When I called to report that I had lost my purse the man I spoke to was very understanding and helpful. Fortunately I found my purse before I had wasted too much of his time. Needless to say I was relieved and happy.

LifeLock has been a great asset to me, they have caught fraud attempts on my credit through the years and it is even more important today to have their service. I feel it is worth whatever the cost to keep your credit protected. I would recommend this service to anyone. Thank you LIFELOCK.

I have had several alerts over the years I have been a member of LifeLock. Some have been me seeking a loan, refinancing etc. Some have not. In each case LifeLock was there monitoring what was going with my account, ALERTING me to transactions. I am very comfortable with LifeLock looking out for me and my family. I trust them 100 percent. Thanks LifeLock.

I have been extremely pleased having LifeLock. I feel so much more secure. They have notified me immediately whenever there is anything going on with any account that could be a potential threat. I highly recommend the service to everyone because it is a different world out there and you need to protect what you have from being "hacked".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

LifeLock

Hello, I would like to thank you for speaking with me today. I am glad we were able to discuss your LifeLock account and resolve your issue. Thank you

LifeLock, Inc.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

In the past three months I've had three successful hacks into my credit, including $7K in unauthorized purchases on an existing card, a new credit card opened in my name, and another attempt to open a credit card in my name. Lifelock did not contact me about any of it, nor have they responded to my email requesting information about why I wasn't contacted. Very disappointed, because up until July I was fairly happy for the (premium) service that I'm paying a lot of money for.

Hello,
Thank you for your feedback. I have requested an additional 3 month refund for you. Please allow 5-7 business days to be processed by your bank. I am sorry to hear your information was breached and used. There are several things you can do to watch for fraud at this time:
Monitor your transactions: Keep an eye on the activity on your credit and debit cards, looking out for any charges that don't seem to be yours. Report suspicious transactions immediately to your bank or credit card company.

Watch your credit reports: You can get a free credit report from each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus each year, and you can pay for more frequent access. Get more information from the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0155-free-credit- reports.

Lifelock Inc.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I was reviewing my bank account and realized that there was a charged that did not made sense. Never seeing the company (Lifelock). Never subscribed to it. After further search there were 5 monthly charges. Called the 800 number and explained my situation. After being on hold for a few minutes, rep Mari mention that it looked that a 3rd party company signed me up for possible commission. They had my personal information right except for the email and the phone number. To add insult to injury, agent Mari commented "See this is why you need our company. Someone has your personal information why don't you give me your real email and phone number and you can keep this account."

After requesting to stop the membership and full refund the agent Mary said that unfortunately they could only refund 2 months (and they will pocket the other 3 months) even if is not your fault. Their excuse not to refund your money is that I was my responsibility to check my bank account for reincurring charges (sometimes hard when you only use one account for everything). So beware, even it was not my fault I lost and the winner is Lifelock (pocket 3 months) with their excuse "that is not their fault that a 3rd party is doing it". And still they will pocket your money.

LifeLock

Hello, I would like to thank you for speaking with me today. I am glad I was able to address all of your concerns about your LifeLock membership. Your feedback is always important to us. Thank you.

LifeLock, Inc.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

I reached out to you unsuccessfully. I was told that someone would get back to me. My cards were used in foreign countries, but only heard from my bank.

Resolution response: Sept. 17, 2016

I was very unhappy with the initial response by LifeLock to the fraudulent activity on my account but today they showed a professionalism and directness that was very impressive. Kim on resolution team took care of the problem and placed a 90 day fraud alert on my Credit Acct. Excellent resolution!

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to speak to me today regarding your experience.

I am glad to hear this matter is resolved to your satisfaction and you have had all your questions answered about the alert process. We value you as a member and appreciated your feedback.

Lifelock Inc.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Last Friday I was notified of possible fraudulent activity by Lifelock. When questioned about applying at Barclay bank for credit I quickly replied I had not applied anywhere for credit. My Ssn, dob and name was being used fraudulently! I called Monday morning to request Lifelock stop the Barclay application immediately and was told the case was being investigated and there was nothing I could do. I tried reaching Barclay personally but was never able to reach a human!! Now it's Thursday night and I received an email that Lifelock tried to call me today. I don't know who they called but it wasn't me. I am very disillusioned with their handling of a fraudulent use of my information. This is a nightmare!

I was alerted to a new credit card application that I did not submit. The person had my birthday and social number. I was scared and mad. But, LifeLock had caught the application in time, contacted the credit card company, and resolved the event. They even set-up the three-way call with the card company. LifeLock had my back. They are great and have advised my family members to sign up now.

My police vehicle was broken into and the thieves stole my departmental weapon and personal items. LifeLock stepped up and protected my personal information and monitored my information giving me peace of mind during a trying ordeal.

LifeLock

Hello, Sorry to hear someone tried to open an account using your personal information before you became a LifeLock member. You contacted LifeLock and stated you received a credit alert inquiry about the same company. We verified that you did not apply for an account with that company. We advised that we would have a member from our alerts team contact you in 24 to 48 hours to handle your alert. Even though you cancelled your account you are still covered under the service guarantee. If you become a victim of identity theft while a LifeLock Member, we will spend up to one million dollars to hire experts to help your recovery. The benefits of the service guarantee are provided under a master insurance policy underwritten by United Specialty Insurance Company. For full details, terms, and restrictions on the policy, see LifeLock.com/legal. Thank you.

LifeLock, Inc.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I joined LifeLock in May after someone tried to open an account in my name where I already have an account. Last week another attempt. Called LifeLock to get help-they told me to call all 3 credit bureaus. What did I pay for? Cancelled membership!

I received the alert the day of the breach. My social security number was stolen and compromised. The merchant was contacted immediately and the application was declined and terminated. I was informed of the action taken by LifeLock. I was lucky that I got the information quickly and was able to act immediately to protect my financial interests. I am fortunate that I had LifeLock at this time and will definitely continue to avail myself of this service.

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. As a LifeLock member you have the ability to stay up-to-date on current LifeLock news, the latest identity theft scams, and what you can do to further reduce your risk. Take advantage of everything your LifeLock membership offers by selecting these features in your communication preferences in your member portal. If you have any other questions please contact our member services at 1-800 Lifelock (543-3562).

Lifelock Inc.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

You don't hear from them for months at a time. Given what they do, you would think you would hear from them weekly, letting you know everything was ok, if nothing else.

LifeLock

Hello, We are sorry for the misunderstanding. We have reviewed your account and show the gift card was not issued in the original allotted time of 6 to 8 weeks after your 30 day trial period. We have mailed you a $25.00 gift card via FedEx Next Day Delivery. You will also receive a second gift card in 6 to 8 weeks from the original offer. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

Offered gift card, been 8 weeks now. Told to wait another 8 weeks. Customer service said tough luck. Supervisor was a absolute jerk. Said, "Your request is low priority and if it doesn't come in 8 call again then we will reprocess", which will be another 8 weeks. They are reneging on their offer. DO NOT TRUST THIS BUSINESS. Customer service is an absolute jerk and make you feel helpless. Be warned I am now trying out their competitors and seeking a refund from my trial purchase. Complete jerks. If you see this offer IT'S A COMPLETE LIE.

LifeLock

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with our service.

LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses. Although we have a large number of companies in our network of surveillance, not all merchants participate and on occasion an application may be submitted that does not fall within our network.

Keep in mind that LifeLock members are also backed by our $1 Million Service Guarantee. If you become a victim of identity theft while a LifeLock Member, we will spend up to one million dollars to hire experts to help your recovery. The benefits of the service guarantee are provided under a master insurance policy underwritten by United Specialty Insurance Company. For full details, terms, and restrictions on the policy, see LifeLock.com/legal.

Additionally, LifeLock offers different levels of service.  Although the level of service you were enrolled in does not provide alerts for credit inquiries, the LifeLock Ultimate Plus service does include this feature.

Thank you for your time.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I was never informed while being a member of a credit inquiry either by text, email or phone. Neither was my husband. So we have canceled our membership. I can do much better monitoring both of ours and not having to pay someone to do the job and does not.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me regarding your Lifelock service and how it works. I apologize for any miscommunication that occurred previously when you spoke to Lifelock. We appreciate your feedback and will take the opportunity to further assist the agent you spoke with. We value you as a member and we are committed to providing a world class experience.

Lifelock Inc.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

I contacted LifeLock for support and guidance, when I found out that someone opened a fraudulent E-ZPass account in my name and used a fake credit card in a state 2000 miles away. The response I got did not address the issue. The response discussed a phishing email when I told them I had received an official letter notifying me of the fake account. I am very disappointed and not sure what I am paying for since they didn't detect the account or fake credit card, and did not provide any assistance.

LifeLock alerted me of the possible problem. Advised me of steps to take to avoid problems before I was affected and helped me take appropriate steps to secure my accounts.

LifeLock

Hello, I am sorry to hear your credit card was compromised. Unfortunately, there is little that can be done to completely prevent fraudulent activity on your credit or debit cards. There are many different methods that criminals use to obtain the card information, from something as simple as writing the number down to more sophisticated technology that can detect the information without the cards ever leaving your possession. The only sure way to avoid fraudulent activity is to use cash when making purchases. You may also want to contact your bank/financial institution to see if they are able to add any extra security measures to your account. Please keep in mind that LifeLock does not monitor charges on your existing accounts. Your bank accounts and credit cards are protected by the financial institution that issued the account/card. Due to privacy laws in the banking industry only the bank or credit card company that issued the account can monitor it for possible unauthorized charges. We also back members by our $1 Million Service Guarantee. If you become a victim of identity theft while a LifeLock Member, we will spend up to one million dollars to hire experts to help your recovery. The benefits of the service guarantee are provided under a master insurance policy underwritten by United Specialty Insurance Company. For full details, terms, and restrictions on the policy, see LifeLock.com/legal. Again, I apologize for any misunderstand about our services.

LifeLock, Inc.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

On Saturday night of last week, I received a call from the card company from whom I received my ATM card. They advised that there had been somewhat appeared to be illegal activity on my card and that they had shut it down, suggested that on contact my bank on the next business day and have them launch an investigation.

The next business day was Monday. I contacted my bank, got the whole investigation started, applied for my new card and hoped that no serious damage had been done to my account. On Tuesday I sent a note inquiring if you were still monitoring my account, inasmuch as I had the above-described problem and to that day had not been contacted by you. The following day I received a call from your representative who talked to me for probably 15 minutes and gave no definitive explanation, all I gleaned from the call was that I was no longer getting the service I had been getting because you had changed your program and if I wanted that level of service, I would have to pay more!

I have taken a survey you sent in which I described that tactic as "bait and switch". My wife suggested we pay the higher rate for the original service, at which time I explained that based on the bait and switch program it could happen again any time. Of course I wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face and therefore will look for a company that will give me coverage and value my business.

LifeLock

We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with our service.

Please also remember that if you receive notification of a fraudulent application and are a victim of identity theft while a LifeLock Member, we will spend up to one million dollars to hire experts to help your recovery. The benefits of the service guarantee are provided under a master insurance policy underwritten by United Specialty Insurance Company. For full details, terms, and restrictions on the policy, see LifeLock.com/legal.

Regarding the matter of you providing your information to possibly finance appliances with a company that did not stop the application or the delivery of the appliances when requested by you, we recommend that you file a complaint about that merchant with the Better Business Bureau.

Unfortunately, because you may have provided your personal information to the company and accepted delivery for two out of four the appliances, you assumed liability and responsibility for the payments.  Because you were disputing the amount of the purchase due to not accepting two of the appliances, you may be able to contact the finance company and ask them if they will remove the derogatory information from your credit file.

Additionally, LifeLock offers different levels of service.  Although the level of service you enrolled in does not provide alerts for credit inquiries, the LifeLock Ultimate Plus service does include this feature.

Thank you for your time.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

A fraudulent credit card was opened in my name by a salesman at Appliance Factory located in Thornton, CO, 84th & I-25. He charged $5,000.73 in kitchen appliances. I'd looked at but decided to buy them from Lowe's due to major price differences and no interest. He did this for the commission. I've been fighting this with LifeLock for months and the final decision was they will do NOTHING to help me. My credit score dropped from 800+ to under 600. No notice from LifeLock. I demanded they help restore my credit score as promised in their ads. After being told the Restoration Department would contact me within 3-5 business days, two WEEKS later I called them and The Restoration Department DENIED my request. They simply decided not to notify me of their decision. They actually had the ridiculous notion I'd just love to increase my services with Life Lock.

LifeLock's advertisements are FALSE, they do not monitor credit cards opened in your name whether you open it or someone else does. LifeLock does NOT spend a red cent to help restore your credit score as advertised. LifeLock does NOT monitor your credit score. Take your money and throw it out a window, you get the same results as if hiring LifeLock.

I received an alert from a doctor's office telling me my information had been stolen. I called LIFELOCK and they took care of it right away.

You knew more about me than I can remember and even if I was slow on learning what you were asking of me I never detected any impatience in your voice. All of you at Lifelock made me feel relaxed and glad that I'll be dealing with you in the future.

It was simplified to know about Identity theft protection... Thanks LifeLock.

LifeLock

Hello, we apologize for the frustrations we may have caused and understand your concerns. No one can prevent all identity theft. The LifeLock alert network includes a variety of product features and data sources. Although it is very extensive, our network does not cover all transactions at all businesses. So you might not receive a LifeLock alert in every single case. We do have a service guarantee in place for our members. If you become a victim of identity theft while a LifeLock Member, we will spend up to one million dollars to hire experts to help your recovery. The benefits of the service guarantee are provided under a master insurance policy underwritten by United Specialty Insurance Company. (If you’re a resident of New York, the benefits are underwritten by State National Insurance Company.) For full details, terms and restrictions on the policy see LifeLock.com/legal. Again we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and also Thank You for your feedback.

Jamie Huckaby

LifeLock, Inc.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

I joined LifeLock hoping that they would monitor my credit and inform me of any issues that arise. They failed. A automobile of 17000 dollars was purchased under my name. I would say that was a big purchase. Something that would be noticed. No contact of any kind on lifelock. When I contacted them to ask why they said I am not notified unless a major purchase has been attempted. I would say that was a very major purchase. That's just one instance. There's a couple others. I am not satisfied with their service. Have cancelled.

LifeLock is a life saver! They are so attentive and don't miss a thing! I am so grateful for their services and their customer service is second to none.

Customer service is excellent. Service is okay I guess.

LifeLock

I understand your concern and am happy to clarify our services for you.

Unfortunately there are times that you may not receive an alert. An inquiry into credit is different than an application on your credit. Even though you were not alerted to this inquiry, our LifeLock Identity Alert System is in place on all accounts. This system provides actionable alerts that are sent for uses of your personal information in applications for credit and services within our network through the patented LifeLock Identity Alert system. Although credit inquiries were not part of your service, you were covered and protected at the time by our $1 million guarantee. If you become a victim of identity theft while a LifeLock Member, we will spend up to one million dollars to hire experts to help your recovery. The benefits of the service guarantee are provided under a master insurance policy underwritten by United Specialty Insurance Company. For full details, terms, and restrictions on the policy, see LifeLock.com/legal.

Thank you for your time. We value your feedback.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

My wife and I were members of Lifelock since 2009. As a retired federal law enforcement officer, my wife and I were also members of two other credit monitoring agencies via OPM as a result of two security breaches in 2015. We have leased two automobiles in the past two years through BMW and Mercedes-Benz Financial Services and also opened up a new American Express Account. We both received emails from the other two agencies the same day of our application yet NEVER received any notification from Lifelock. None. I logged into my account and saw that the last alert I received from them was an address change in December 2014 and the last alert regarding anything to do with our credit reports was in December 2013.

It should be noted that I had the standard plan. I contacted Lifelock to cancel my account and the "retention specialist" started reading from a script about all of the wonderful services Lifelock provides if I upgrade my plan. When I told her that I wasn't getting notified about any activity on my account or my wife's account and hadn't received a credit application alert since 2013 despite leasing two vehicles and getting an AMEX card in the past two years, she stated that Lifelock doesn't monitor every transaction. WTF? I told her that it is unreasonable to believe that Lifelock wouldn't monitor the activity from three major vendors such as American Express, BMW Financial Services and Mercedes-Benz Financial Services. Remember, this is involving both my wife and myself. Two different people with two different social security numbers.

She wouldn't budge from her script and when I insisted that I wanted to cancel my account and wanted at least a partial refund of the $11.98/month (I received a 40% discount) fee that I've been paying going back to the last notification in December 2014. She said she could only cancel my account and referred me to customer service, but reminded me that I still would have received their "up to a million dollars" benefit if I had been the victim of identity theft. Perhaps, perhaps not.

I tried to tell her that the basic foundation for any credit monitoring service is to notify the customer in close to real time that there has been activity on their credit bureau files so the customer can either confirm that it is ok or begin to take immediate action. I explained to her that had I not been notified by the other two services, I would be totally in the dark about any credit bureau activity for my wife and myself had it been fraudulent. I'm not sure she understood that I was not receiving the major part of the service I was paying for and kept repeating that I would have been protected with the million dollar benefit. It should be noted that I had the Lifelock Advantage Plan until June 2015 yet I wasn't notified of my credit application to MBFS when we leased a Mercedes in May 2015 so having the more expensive plan did nothing as well.

I then spoke with Customer Service who advised the best they could offer was a refund of one month's payment or 30 days of free monitoring. She apologized profusely and said it must have been a glitch, but, in the end, they weren't really going to do anything to keep me as a customer. Since I no longer have any confidence in Lifelock, I opted to get the refund. Lifelock has major radio personalities e.g. Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Dr. Laura, etc... touting how wonderful it is which is why I signed up back in 2009. At least for me, it turned out that for the past 21 months, I've been wasting my money.

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to speak to me regarding your experience. As discussed the breach you experienced as a member should have been handled with our restoration team. If the matter is not resolved with you directly speaking to the creditor you can contact Lifelock to assist to ensure proper resolution occurs.

Lifelock Inc.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

Got LL after a breach in credit. A few months went by and another breach occurred. Instructed to contact the Bureaus myself by LL CSR. Glorified text message service. Free apps available you can do the same thing with. What am I really paying for?

If you didn't have LifeLock you need to get it. Someone got my personal information and applied for a credit card using my good credit. I got an alert from the good people at LifeLock. I informed them I didn't make an application for a credit card. I spoke to a representative from LifeLock and in less than 24 hours they and resolved the issue and helped me contact the credit bureau to put an alert on my information going forward. I can't imagine what could have happened to my good credit had LifeLock not been there helping protect what I have worked so hard to have. In today's age of information being so readily available, you need someone in the shadows watching out for you. Thanks so much LifeLock!!!

My questions or concerns have been addressed in a very satisfactory manner and would have no problem at all recommending LifeLock to my family or friends!

Expert Review

Rob DouglasIdentity Theft Protection Contributing Editor

Rob Douglas is an information security consultant specializing in the investigation and prevention of identity theft and scams. Rob is one of the nation’s leading authorities on the use of social engineering, impersonation, fraud and pretext to steal personal information. For two decades, Rob has assisted the financial services sector, the telecommunications industry, the general business community, government and law enforcement agencies to better understand the scope and methodology of identity crimes through presentations, educational materials, auditing and consultation.    More about Rob→

LifeLock is an identity theft protection company that is headquartered in Tempe, AZ. Founded in 2005, the company is considered one of the leading identity theft protection companies in the world.

• Plan selection: There are a wide range of plans available from LifeLock, including Standard, Advantage, Ultimate Plus, Junior and Wallet. This allows users to tailor their protection level to their needs.
  • Many protection points: In order to protect customers, LifeLock takes a comprehensive approach, monitoring credit scores and reports, loan requests and more.
  • Live customer service: The company provides regular, live customer service to clients so that they can contact and talk to someone when they have issues, questions or concerns.
  • $1 Million service guarantee: LifeLock's $1 million service guarantee ensures that the company will spend up to $1 million to help get a customer's identity back on track after a case of theft.
  • Wallet services: The company's LifeLock Wallet program allows users to have free backup storage of their important cards.
  • Best for People who have had their identity stolen, people who have had personal items or information stolen, people at risk of identity theft, people with children who have social security numbers and people who frequently use credit cards.

LifeLock Company Profile