Visit Website
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.42/5

LifeLock provides modern identity theft protection. With the flood of mobile technology and apps, consumer behaviors and expectations are changing, along with what “identity” actually means. LifeLock is committed to providing its consumers some peace of mind amid the threat of identity theft.

LifeLock identity theft protection uses innovative monitoring technology and alert tools to help proactively safeguard your credit and finances.† They will send you alerts for potential identity

theft by text, ‡‡ phone, email or mobile app. If identity theft does occur, a U.S.-Based Identity Restoration Specialist, dedicated to you, is there to personally manage your case.

No one can prevent all identity theft.

† LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses.

‡‡ Phone alerts made during normal local business hours.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

LifeLock provides identity theft protection and monitoring services. The company is an industry leader and offers three different package options.

PROS

• Variety of plans
  • Remediation available
  • Industry leader

CONS

• Prices change after the first year

Top LifeLock Reviews

LifeLock had a good reputation, so we went in that direction. My identity was hacked in June and one of the initial notifications came from them. We've got the premium package on both of our computers just because it makes sense to be protected.

I like the fact that it can actually monitor my bank and charge accounts with site credentials and get actual balance information. The free credit report was a nice addition. [It's] like a virus scanner, it won't catch everything, but the insurance is the best part.

LifeLock services

LifeLock is considered to be an industry leader in providing individual and business identity theft protection. They offer three different package options, from basic monitoring to full protection and recovery of your money or identity. LifeLock is recognized by the Online Trust Honor Roll and partnered with the digital security software company Norton by Symantec.

LifeLock notifies you if your information is compromised by monitoring major data breaches, credit reporting agencies and the dark web. The company offers 24-hour assistance, and if your identity is compromised, LifeLock will assist you by providing lawyers to help litigate your case, plus reimbursement for your expenses and lost property.

LifeLock is a membership organization where customers can choose between membership levels. If you are looking for identity theft protection for your business, you can call the company for a quote.

LifeLock plans and pricing

LifeLock provides identity theft and digital security protections at three membership levels: Select, Advantage, and Ultimate Plus. Each plan offers an introductory rate, with a price increase after the first year. The chart below provides an overview of LifeLock cost by plan.

PlanFirst-year costCost after first year
Select$9.99/month$14.99/month
Advantage$19.99/month$24.99/month
Ultimate Plus$29.99/month$34.99/month

Select: Offers $25,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds and security for five electronic devices, plus the regular LifeLock benefits.

Advantage: Offers $100,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for 10 devices, bank and credit card alerts and alerts for crimes in your name.

Ultimate Plus: Offers $1 million in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for an unlimited number of devices, bank and credit card alerts, 401(K) investment alerts, alerts for crimes in your name, and reports from all three credit bureaus.

How does LifeLock work?

Most of the time, LifeLock members will be able to forget they are even customers — which, according to LifeLock, is the point. As a LifeLock customer, you can rest assured your data is secure.

Once you join, you simply make monthly payments and the company closely monitors your information. When something suspicious occurs, you are either alerted by phone, text or a notification from the LifeLock app.

If you want to engage with the company further, they offer a credit report, an online portal to show your profile, and notifications about any data breaches that may affect your information.

Do we recommend LifeLock?

LifeLock has been the industry leader in identity theft protection for more than a decade. The company boasts nearly 5 million members and returned millions of dollars in assets to people who have had their identities or property stolen. Although a price tag up to $34.99 a month may not be as cheap as other companies, it does provide the broadest range of coverage with a company known to maintain a high level of service.

LifeLock Reviews

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Lifelock offered a really good service when I first signed up for their service back in 2009. They were at the forefront of providing good security monitoring in a changing climate of cyber security. Though there were times that my own credit card company alerted me of questionable activity when the Lifelock didn't. Their email alerts are helpful in prompting me to take note of the latest security breaches that are custom-tailored to my accounts.

It has been in recent years they have offered a premium service on top of their standard level of security for an added price, which as a long-time subscriber I feel should not be an added cost since their prices have also risen as well. With many other credit monitoring services available today, I feel that Lifelock should reconsider charging extra for their premium service when there are more credit monitoring services available on the market for less or already included with so many offerings today.

Get expert buying tips about Identity Theft Protection delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

When you are young you assume you have the rest of your life to correct your mistakes. What if you were being held responsible for mistakes you didn’t make? That’s an awful feeling, that’s exactly what went through my mind after hanging up my call from Lifelock. Someone had attempted to steal my personal information and use it without my permission. Thankfully I am enrolled in the ultimate plus membership with life lock. They alert me when my personal information shows up on third party websites. Where it can be sold to other people on the dark web.

Without my lifelock membership, I would have never known my information had been compromised until it was too late. I use to think that could never be me, but it almost was. Imagine working your entire life to save and work hard to make a living for it to be taken in a matter of seconds. With my lifelock membership I am relieved to know, I have a team of professionals working hard daily. Making sure, that I don’t have to worry about my personal information ending up in the wrong hands or places.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Lifelock makes me feel secure in knowing that I am protected against fraud, identity theft and the like. I know that if anything should happen Lifelock will take care of it right away and they make you feel safe, and stress free. I took me awhile to decide to get this protection and after doing my homework and reading reviews, I decided Lifelock was the best around and is totally worth it. Customer service is wonderful, so helpful and makes me feel relieved knowing I have them behind me 100% in case I find my self in a situation where my identity could be stolen. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for that extra security.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Service as advertised. However, systems...text, VM, PC and PH App are not seamlessly tied together and you may clear the alert and then see it again and again via different sources even though you’ve already cleared/ ok’d it. Notifications are not always clear to interpret. If you are shopping for finance, expect multiple notifications, sometimes many days later. Now trying to push monthly fees to annuals. That tells me they are trying to ensure they keep revenues locked down. Now trying to push another fee at you with Norton Antivirus scare tactics. Too bad no guarantee with it! At $ 30.00 a month it’s not cheap, but I’ve had it for years. I’m retired now and on a fixed income... I am looking at my options.

Original review: July 25, 2019

He listened carefully to my request for advice concerning additional coverage, explained my options, including the cost, reviewed my current coverage and I chose to upgrade. I have been a long-time customer of LifeLock and am completely satisfied with their coverage and feedback each time something new appears on my account. I totally depend on them to keep me safe and I recommend LifeLock to my friends. Thank you for helping me in the past and keeping me safe in the here and now and the future. You're the best!

LifeLock response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We are happy to hear that our specialists provided the level of service you expected. We value you as a member.

Sincerely,

Kristen Tifft

LifeLock Product Support Analyst

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock (A Symantec Company)?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

LifeLock showed with my recent fraud problems I experience they truly don't care about their customer service. Their staff is not trained well to handle issues customers have. The automatic alerts did come through my phone via text. After that you are on your own to figure out to call the credit card companies where attempts were made to open cards in your name and the credit agencies. I called Lifelock on a couple of occasions and each experience was not good. They told me that someone from their fraud department would call me within 7-10 days. Obviously I could not wait that long and find out if the fraud would continue. Today I received the long awaited Fraud department call and she was absolutely rude. I shared my prior experience and not once did she apologize (not even to just appease me).

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Used LifeLock for years and now when I need them and have a question they have me on hold for over an hour when the Robo answerer said 5 minutes. The app tells me I need to do something then it doesn't work! I get a notification that my house has the wrong address but when I call the town it is recorded correctly so why is Lifelock telling me it is wrong?! Also for supposed security I can't even make a screenshot to prove it so that is why I called in and now on hold for an hour and two minutes then they came to the phone and said nothing and hung up on me!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I first purchased Norton Symantec years ago for online protection. I paid my bills on time and had no problems over the years. Being a professional, I became cognizant of the need for identity theft issues and when I heard about Life Lock on Rush Limbaugh radio show I purchase it. Mind you, this was before they merged but when I became aware that the two companies have merged, I thought about why I was paying for Norton and Lifelock separately.

I am sure I am not the only subscriber of these services but what I want to stress is that when the companies merged, they did not reach out to me requesting that I merge my accounts knowing fully well that they were paying top dollar for each service separately. Why should they, they were getting more money this way as oppose to New subscribers who purchased a Norton Lifelock plan.

So being the frugal individual that I am, I called Norton to request they merge my accounts. I spent over 1.5 hours trying to do this with a representative who was not able to finalize the consolidation. What she was able to do was to cancel my Norton protection. I was told that I would receive a call from her when this was done. I was able to acknowledge 2-3 calls from her stating that the consolidation request had not been completed but gave no reason... I still was not protected with Norton on my computer and other devices as they had cancelled my Norton account.

Two weeks later I get an email stating that my Lifelock account had been cancelled and that I was not protected but they gave no reason for the cancelled policy... Now I did not have identity protection. This was very important to me as last year, I had someone apply for disability benefits using my SS#... Somehow, Life lock was ignorant that my identity via SS# had been stolen and was being used by someone.

So back to today. I get a message that a refund was provided as my subscription to Life Lock was cancelled...leaving me unprotected on both computers and my personal information. This was after I expressed at length to a representative of the Norton Life Lock yesterday that I did not want to be unprotected on my computer devices and be potentially subject once again to identity theft. I was reassured by him that I still had Life Lock protection (I renewed Life Lock subscription in August 2019 and Norton in April of same year) only to receive this "high risk" warning that my Life lock key was no longer valid.

So for the third time in two weeks I'm on the phone again speaking (in not the best mood nor telephone etiquette) to a third representative (foreign country) attempting without success to rectify their repeated mistake and ineptness. You would think that it would be a simple process but for some reason Norton does not know what Life Lock is doing and it seems to me that they are still separate companies both wanting to take your money. To add salt to the already open and bleeding wound, today I was told that I had to order a new subscription to the "New" Norton Life Lock service and that it would take 48 hours for initiation of protection and for me to to be call them to sure that they did there job right. Just to show you what I have to do anew:

1. New payment.
    2. Down load the new Norton Life Lock app.
    3. Sign on all my devices again.

4. Wait 48 hours and be exposed and vulnerable during this period even though the money is in their pocket.

Lastly, I wish to emphasize that on all conversations I requested to speak to a manager and was denied this request. It has been very difficult to swallow that this caliber of poor customer service was all initiated by me trying to save myself some money thinking that I would come out ahead with one account but no, not so. Over two weeks, my subscriptions were cancelled without reason, I was left vulnerable to computer hacking and identity theft once again. At the time of this writing, I am unsure if this has occurred and will need to watching my bank account info and just wait out the not knowing if I have been exposed all because I did what I felt needed to be done and the most reasonable course to take. For those of you out there who have both Norton Symantec and Life Lock separately, watch out. For me, my experience has been a nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I was excited about Lifelock’s new deed monitoring service until I actually saw it in action. They had the original record of my property listed which showed the mortgage company I first financed the house with over 20 years ago, instead of the most current record. When I contacted them to point that out they sent an email that just reflected the FAQ standard response saying I should correct it with the county. I monitor my deed records. The county’s records are fine. I’m re-evaluating whether Lifelock is even necessary.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I had been a customer from January 2018 to January 2019 with no complaints. Decided to purchase their 360 product this January and what a NIGHTMARE. Once I bought the subscription, the id theft part wouldn't work. When I called to get help I was on hold for over 2 hours and eventually had to hang up without my problem being solved. I was passed back and forth between departments and towards the end. Promised I'd be on hold for only 2 minutes and then put back into their main queue (which is when I hung up because that was going to be another 20 minutes at least). When all was said and done my account was closed down and I wasted 2 hours of my time, all while confirming sensitive personal information. If a company is in the business of handling and protecting people's personal data, they might want to do a better job of customer service. Avoid them like the plague.

LifeLock Company Information

LifeLock (A Symantec Company)
    Public