Call toll free
800-915-4952
4.06/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

LifeLock gives people a sense of confidence to live freely in an always-connected world. We’re a leading provider of proactive identity theft protection services for consumers and identity risk and credit worthiness assessment for enterprises. Since we were founded in 2005, we have been pioneers in identity protection, leveraging unique data, science and patented technology and providing identity threat detection, identity alerts, and comprehensive remediation services, the cornerstones of our business. With more than 3.6 million LifeLock members, we’re committed to providing our consumers some peace of mind amid the threat of identity theft.

2210 LifeLock Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

My social security number was stolen last month and used fraudulently. I called LifeLock and talked with agent Matthew on 10/24/2018; he said he would email me a Restoration Packet the next day. NOTHING! On 10/24 I talked to Ria and she said a packet to be mailed. NO RESPONSE! Recontacted Lifelock on 10/27 and talked with agent Sonya who had no record of my previous calls, but apparently Sonya contacted Restoration Department and reference number was created for case, but still no packet email as promised.

Tried talking with Bernadette on 11/1, then Lawrence and Ricky the following week, again nothing emailed as promised. Finally got through to Macy or Neicey in Restoration on 11/2, said she would manage case and send emailed pack. AGAIN NOTHING SENT. Today, 11/12 I called and agent forwarded my call to Restoration Dept, waited at least 10 minutes and then was cut off? Wow, what a disappointing RUNAROUND and orchestrated ripoff? I hope people other clients in need of help aren’t treated like this! WHY WOULD AGENTS PROMISE TO CONTACT BUT NOT?

Get expert buying tips about Identity Theft Protection delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

After noticing a fraudulent charge on my credit card and applying for a new mortgage without receiving a single notification from LifeLock, I decided to close my account. In order to close my account over the phone I was asked for the spelling of my first and last name, my full Social Security Number, my Date of Birth, my home address, and the answers to all of my security questions. When I asked if we were talking over a secure line, the representative said, “While we value our members’ information, we cannot guarantee this is a secure line.”

Given the nature of the business of LifeLock, I thought this was extremely irresponsible. The conversation continued with the representative asking me what I wanted to do and I responded that I wanted to close my account. He then began speaking at a pace faster than anyone would be able to fully comprehend what he was saying. He ended by saying, “So let’s go ahead and do that for you, okay?” If you tuned out, which most people might while he was speeding through the disclosures, you might just say “okay.” You would then receive a month of LifeLock at no cost and think you had successfully cancelled it; but then the charges would begin again two months later.

I did not tune out and I said, “No. I just want to go ahead and cancel it.” The representative seemed taken aback, which makes me wonder how many people fall for this. Then he said, “Okay. You are all set.” Click. He hung up. I thought this whole experience was unsettling. I would not recommend LifeLock to anyone. Save your money, keep your information secure, and do your due diligence Checking your accounts and credit.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 11/14/2018 and addressed her concerns.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I have not received any return on investment from LifeLock membership. My wife is the victim of on going identity theft. Several times in the last 4 1/2 months, a person, or persons have made several significant fraudulent charges using my wife’s identity. Lifelock recorded 1suspicious transaction, despite our credit having been frozen in all 3 credit reporting agencies.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Absolutely horrible security for account access. No two factor authentication, no use of trusted devices, no security questions to answer for a password reset. All someone needs to access your LifeLock account is access to your email. There is better security on Facebook. Imagine this. A criminal gets access to your email account and resets your LifeLock password. They can now see personal information. How much personal information? A LOT! You can add the following accounts for LifeLock to monitor. Insurance, Email, Credit Cards, Bank Accounts, Phone, and Address. They can also see your credit reports, which shows your date of birth, previous addresses, open financial accounts, loans, etc. Once logged into LifeLock, they can even change your Verbal Password to call LifeLock. I signed up for LifeLock after having my identity stolen. I feel sick seeing how poor their security is to access your most important information.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Rude and liars. Never disclosed. They DO NOT alert you every time someone pulls your credit. When I questioned why I wasn't notified for the last 2 credit cards I opened their response was they cannot force the merchants to participate. What a crock of **!

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 11/07/2018 and discussed her concerns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

As a person on SSA your cost is to much for my income. When you're on a fixed income it makes it too hard to keep up. Why don't you set up a special rate for us elderly. If I paid you I could not afford gas and home insurance. Besides the cost of meds and health care.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I have had five attempts to open credit cards using my social security number, my birthdate, and address. After the third time I opened a LifeLock account, I have had two attempts since. LifeLock did not catch either attempts. I was told verbally by a LifeLock associate that they couldn’t catch everything. Not acceptable!! I have since canceled, which they make difficult, but thanks to American Express, I have stop automatic monthly payments to this incompetent service. I would suggest they spend more on personnel to provide the service that they spend millions on TV advertising. Save your money and aggravation, freeze your credit. It's free and easy.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My credit history from one company includes incorrect information. I have a copy of this information from the credit reporting agency and the incorrect items are reflected on your website. I called and the agent was not willing to help me even find out a way to have this corrected. I noted the "updated" date as 8/18 and he said that may not be correct and may not have been updated, but if that is what Lifelock says, that is the truth. Should I believe your website or the credit report I received directly from the credit agency?

Resolution response: Nov. 1, 2018

I spoke with a very helpful and very informative rep at LifeLock and each of my concerns were thoroughly explained and resolved to my complete satisfaction and I have renewed my subscription.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have been with LifeLock for almost 2 years, and notice that their customer service has greatly diminished, as well as the effectiveness of their protection service. After logging into the website, I sent an email inquiry to the service department asking why I had received an alert notification about a breach with Facebook in my personal email, but when I logged into the website, there was no information about the Facebook breach. I waited for two weeks, and never received a reply to my inquiry. Then I called Lifelock and realized that my call was routed to the Philippines to a call center, where a rep asked me for my social security number and my birthday. I found this very suspicious.

The rep transferred me to an office in the US, where I spoke with another rep who had to continuously put me on hold to ask someone for answers to my questions and concerns. In addition, Lifelock now seems to require the purchase of Norton Symantec antivirus in order for their protection to work. The rep said that since I do not use Norton Symantec, my protection service is not in full effectiveness. I then canceled my subscription and will call for a complete refund. I find the website inadequate, and customer service unprofessional, and lacking product knowledge or experience, and would give the company a grade D.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I bought a membership for My wife and I 10/10/18. LifeLock sent me a link to enroll. The link did not work. I called the company. They could not help me either and told me to call back the following week. Well, I tried again today after switching me back and forth a couple of times between departments. They sent me a new link. Well, it still didn't work. The lady put me on hold and after a 1/2 hour, it just disconnected. So here I am writing a complaint and will be asking for a refund.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have had LifeLock basic for many many years, they just raised my monthly premium btw by $2 a month. A few weeks ago I opened a new gas card account online. It was immediately approved. I got no notification at all from LifeLock, none. I did however get an email from my TurboTax account stating this gas card is now showing on my credit report and advising me of a new account being opened. That TurboTax coverage is FREE.

I called LifeLock and asked why I got no communication from them when a new account was opened in my name, the rep told me they don't notify you if you have the "basic" account. Really! What am I paying for! Many years back when I opened a new credit account I DID get a notification from LifeLock, but apparently now they want you to buy their pricier plans for that. If someone can open an account under my name and I get no notification from LifeLock what on earth is the point in paying this company $12 a month. Waste of money. I will cancel, and just put a freeze on my credit.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I received an email welcoming me to LifeLock. I never opened the account. That card that was charged was also not mine. I called LifeLock and was promised a call back the next day. No response. Seems to me that they need to strengthen their own internal security before they try to protect others. This is really scared! I see that I am not the first!

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the consumer on 10/29/2018 and addressed their concerns.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I have Email Addresses Interference and Identity Information and Personal Information connected to My Cellphone Services. Which was Transferred to one Cellphone with the Same Cellphone Number of **. From my Moto E 4 Cellphone From Boost Mobile Cellphone Company and Provider. Customer Service states Boost Mobile can't be Infiltrated by Hackers.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

With the direction the world is going in today, you can never be to careful. Thanks to LifeLock, I don't have to worry about my personal information ending up in the wrong hands. Thanks to LifeLock, my clients information will remain protected.

LifeLock response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We're glad to know that you have peace of mind with your LifeLock membership in place.

Thank you for choosing LifeLock, I hope you have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Kristen Tifft

LifeLock Product Support Analyst

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I signed up for LifeLock one month ago. I never received one notification of activity on my bank account. I called over three times and spent over two hours to have them figure this out. So guess what happened in the meantime? Someone was able to get my information and charge over $1300 on my account. LifeLock tells me that my phone provider has blocking their texts (by the way it's Verizon). So then I call once again to find out why I'm not receiving text messages and the representative told me it's because my accounts overdue. Are you kidding me!!! I never received them from the beginning and the reason it's overdue is because my card was compromised.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

The unreasonable charges for minimal services and their association with Norton Antivirus (very poor protection) is no longer a good value. Life Lock once had a good reputation until they started soliciting Norton and charging unreasonably for their minimal services. In a time when protection is much needed you need someone to trust who has your best interest at heart... for us, Life Lock no longer provides that, very sad.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted member on 10/22/2018, 10/24/2018 and 10/29/2018 to addressed their concerns.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Agents for Norton and LifeLock cannot get on the same page for signing up. Passed from one to another and back again 4X. Pricing needs to be available to both providers so that questions can be answered without all the back and forth,

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted member on 10/22/2018 date and addressed their concerns.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

On 10/17/18 I received a charge on my debit card for 153.00 from LifeLock . I do not have a LifeLock account so I called and they don’t have a record of me either. They told me someone would call me back and that has not happened and now I am livid they are giving me the run around. I did not authorize this charge nor did I sign up for a service like this. You take my money but then have a hard time returning it. This is simple return my funds and quit asking for my social security number. Someone need to contact me ASAP about this. I am a veteran and live in a fixed income. I cannot pay my bills. This is insane.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My husband and I have been members for a month. Two weeks in and we cannot access transactions to keep tabs on what activities are happening on our accounts. Everything in Transactions is "ghosted". We pay for the premium package and were given a number to get support faster. That has not been the case. I appreciate the fact that questions need to be asked to verify authentic users on the account but I do not believe I should ever give my entire ss number. I have called over the last two weeks and no one can answer why these transactions cannot be seen. Tech services gets back and says they are sorry but that software is being changed. This is not what my husband and I signed up for. We are paying a premium amount of money and are not getting what we were told we would be getting. Very, very dissatisfied.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 10/24/2018 and addressed their concerns.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I was very happy and impressed with LifeLock when I first joined a couple of years ago. I am not getting the service that I am paying for. I was told by upgrading to premium I would have better monitoring. I am not receiving any alerts or phone calls anymore regarding activity on my account. I am travelling for work and my bank account was hacked for two $1 charges then 5 $100 charges along with $85.00 in gas charges which all went through.

I called LifeLock and was told their system was down on October 9th so that is why I was not alerted. I received a new bank card and was hacked at all of the same vendors as before with five $100 charges. Not a word from LifeLock. I have my preferences set for alerts at $100. I called again and am being asked for my full social and password after providing it during the login. It made me uncomfortable so I hung up. I believe they have now grown too big and cannot keep up with their clients. The service is just not there anymore.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 10/19/2018 and addressed their concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

To whom it may concern, yesterday, 10/15/2018, I had a credit check conducted on me for the purpose of financing a medical device. Within a matter of minutes I received notifications from LifeLock in text, telephone call and email about the credit check. I responded to the text message indicating the credit inquiry was legitimate. This morning at 0706, 10/16/2018, I received notification via text and email that there was a "credit inquiry detected" and that I should contact LifeLock and review the activity. I was not at home so I called (800) 543-3562 in an effort to determine who had made the inquiry into my credit.

What a mistake, I have never spoken to more incompetent individuals in my life; first I provided all my information, which included name, birthdate, social security number to an automated system and then I was transferred to an individual who identified himself as Tim or Jim who not only asked for the same information, but wanted me to provide my security question responses. I provided the service representative with all the information, but asked why he needed the security question responses because he had already identified me. The representative kept interrupting me and would not answer my questions; I subsequently asked to speak to his supervisor. He put me on hold and approximately 10 minutes later came back on the line and stated his supervisor was busy helping another customer and that they were experiencing a high volume of calls.

At the beginning of my call I was asked to participate in a survey at the end of my call to which I agreed. I told the service representative I was done dealing with him and to disconnect the call with me so I could take the survey and express my frustration and disappointment with LifeLock company's customer service. Instead, he put be on hold again and I waited approximately another 10 minutes before an individual came on the line who identified herself as a supervisor named May or Mai. The supervisor stated I needed to answer the security questions to protect my security. I told the supervisor, I had already provided my information and all I wanted to know is who made the credit inquiry on 10/16/2018.

We went back and forth about the security questions until I again, became frustrated with the supervisor and told her to disconnect the call so I could take the survey to express my extreme dissatisfaction. The supervisor then tried to ask me the security questions and I told her in a very direct manner to disconnect the call so I could take the survey. She finally disconnected the call which lasted almost 30 minutes and I took the survey. I am done with this company and will make sure that everyone I know hears about the extremely poor customer service that LifeLock provides.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 10/19/2018 and addressed his concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I just rejoined LifeLock. Was told you would receive your welcome email in 24 hours. And nothing. Called twice and can only get a offshore call center in the Philippines and now on a new service have to put in a service ticket and at least another 24 hrs or more. And this company is supposed to be experts in identity theft. Really they can’t even get you the welcome email. I will be calling state side on Monday to cancel for the horrible lack of service I got. I guess Corporate greed has ruined LifeLock too. Sad. They were a good company.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 10/15/2018 and addressed his concerns.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I've been receiving numerous alerts from LifeLock. These alerts are all concerning "Short term loan online". This is the extent of the information they provide. I've called twice and asked for additional details or even the source of the alerts - they provide me nothing. When I ask where the alerts were generated I was told "A website somewhere". This is next to useless. How is it that LifeLock has the alert but cannot tell me the source so I can do some additional research? Someone should be able to provide details!

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 10/12/2018 and discussed his concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I am on the verge of cancelling my membership. I called into customer service department needing help on my account. I first went thru the automated system which asked me for identifying information. I gave it and asked for a live person. Obviously the automated system means nothing because the phone rep needed all my info again. Next issue: I do not like nor do I feel "what is your full social security number" should be an identifying question. In this day & age most consumers myself included do not feel comfortable giving that information to anyone over the phone, even if we called them.

When I declined to provide additional information about my spouse, the phone rep proceeds to tell me since I wasn't able to fully identify you... blah blah blah!

I distinctly read on LifeLock's website that each family member's account was separate. Why would the phone rep need my spouse's info if his account is 100% separate of mine?

I then asked for a supervisor. When I spoke to her she gave me the same runaround concerning my spouse's info. I explained to her all I called for was to get sign up info for my spouse since I paid for him to have an account. She said, "Fine we can send him a welcome email." I told her he never received the email. She then said that in order to resend a welcome email she would need to speak to my spouse. This I truly do not understand. My spouse did not sign up for LifeLock, I was the one who added him thru my account and on my billing that I pay for. Why would she need to speak to him since he has not created an account nor has he input any identifying information into their system.

It was then that I asked her if I could speak to her manager since we weren't getting anywhere. She stated that she was the TOP manager in the place. That there wasn't anyone else I could speak to. I am truly disappointed in the quality of customer service or the lack thereof from LifeLock. In this day & age a company that handles the most sensitive and personal information from a consumer should have a higher standard for the customer service agents.

LifeLock response

LifeLock attempted to contact member on 10/08/2018 and 10/10/2018 dates and will be happy to address their concerns when our calls are returned.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

This morning, due to a recent hack, I logged into LifeLock to check that all my bank accounts were being monitored. They were not. In particular, my B of A checking account was disconnected. I tried 3 times to re-connect so transaction monitoring would kick in, failed each time. I called Customer Service at LL and was told I would have to call B of A to resolve.

What's interesting here is that I have 3 bank accounts "linked" in LL, and B of A has always been the ONLY one that worked and was monitored. Until recently anyway. Apparently, B of A has added some multi-factor authentication protections and this broke the LL connection. Despite numerous postings online and even on this board, the CS rep at LL knew "nothing" about this issue. I gotta believe there are tens of thousands of B of A customers in my boat, yet I get crickets from the rep.

Frankly, I don't see how LL can successfully monitor bank transactions anymore. I believe their business model for that is going to fail. I say that because B of A will in fact allow a one-time connection to LL using an auth code sent to my phone, BUT it will NOT support a persistent connection which is what you need to be able to monitor transactions over time. I have 2 other bank accounts that won't connect to LL at all, so I question the "value" I am receiving from a Premier account and will probably cancel when it rolls over next year.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted member on 10/08/2018 and is in the process of addressing his concerns.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I opened my account 2 months ago through Norton. The very next day I tried to add and connect accounts for my spouse and child. I was told by Norton that I had to close the initial account so I did. I was directed to call LifeLock to open all 3 accounts so I did. I was told that because my account had been canceled within 30 days I had to wait 30 days to open a new account. I filed a complaint and 2 days later LifeLock called and opened my 3 accounts. Today I called to cancel them as I don’t see the value in having them. I have insurance coverage through my homeowners policy and similar monitoring elsewhere. I called LifeLock and was told I had to cancel through Norton. I explained all the above and was transferred to a supervisor. He said he couldn’t help me and gave me the number for Norton.

I called Norton and was transferred 5 times, they then told me they can’t even see my LifeLock account as it had been closed by them 2 months ago. They transferred me back to LifeLock and I got the same person I had talked to an hour earlier. He remembered me and said he would speak with the sand management person, Cody. He came back and said he and Cody could not help me but that he would elevate my case to higher management. I then called American Express and blocked all future charges by LifeLock. I had also tried to cancel my membership online but online it said I had to call LifeLock. It appears to be a dishonest business practice to me.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 10/08/2018 and addressed his concerns.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Called three different phone numbers to cancel service. Automated system says "let me transfer you to a representative who can help cancel subscription." Phone calls disconnected all three times. Went to website, tried to log in. On first attempt it said "too many tries, you need to reset password. We will send you a link to your email account to reset password." Email never came. Can not log into my account. Had to call American Express to block recurring charge. This difficulty to cancel seems intentional. I can not come up with another explanation, as I can not get through to company by any means.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 10/03/2018 and have addressed his concerns.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I purchased LifeLock bundled with a popular Anti Virus program a few years ago and did not use the service until recently. Someone opened an account at a cable provider without my knowledge and this was not reported by LifeLock. Eight months later, I found out about the account after it went into collections and hit my credit report. I contacted LifeLock and was told to call back after I had all of the information from the collection agency. After multiple calls to LifeLock consumer services and providing supporting paperwork, I was told that I had to call the various credit reporting services and ask them to remove the collections item and LifeLock would not process my request. LifeLock was not interested in providing any assistance or guidance.

The collection agency was actually far more helpful in trying to assist me than LifeLock was. As there is no immediate solution at hand, I paid the disputed amount to prevent further posting of negative items to my credit report. I offered what information I had regarding proof that the disputed account could not have been initiated by me but LifeLock would not listen or take a statement.

Based on my recent experience and the many many negative responses reflected on websites throughout the internet, I would suggest that you take a few minutes and read these reviews and look up the reasons for the fines and comments about LifeLock from the Federal Trade Commission findings from 2010 and 2015. Unfortunatly, I purchased an annual subscription for this service, bundled with an anti virus product so cannot easily discontinue my subscription. If you are considering a purchase, try for monthly payments that are not associated with another service or software product.

LifeLock response

Lifelock contacted the member on 10/03/2018.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have subscribed to LL for multiple years. I have never asked for any help other than to change cc acct #'s when fraud forced closing and opening new accounts. Each time I have nothing but discourtesy and misery trying to pay my bill. If it is that hard to PAY a bill, how hard can it be to get assistance? To top off my bad experience, I sent a Cert/Ret Rec letter June 14, 2018 that was never answered.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 10/01/2018, 10/08/2018, and 10/22/2018 to address his concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Life Lock can no longer access Bank of America or Capital One accounts, supposedly because those two institutions have put updated security measures in place. This should have been taken care of by Life Lock executives before it became such a widespread issue. If they can't monitor, doesn't it beg the question: exactly WHAT are we paying them for? The person answering the helpline refused to speak to us because my husband could not remember the name of his first cat, this was after he gave her all the relevant data about himself, such as birthdate, social, mother's maiden. English not good enough to speak off script. First email inquiry was not read by a human; it was obvious by the response that it was computer/robot generated... The second one was, but told us we could call them for help if we detected fraudulent activity when their entire business model is built around THEM detecting fraudulent activity.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted member on 9/26/2018 and addressed their concerns.

LifeLock expert review by Rob Douglas

Choose from three main packages starting at $9.99 per month. All plans include Norton Security for up to five devices and 24/7 customer support. Optional packages for seniors and children also available.

• Plan options with monitoring: Offers Standard, Advantage and Ultimate Plus Plans that all include credit monitoring.

• 60-day money-back guarantee: LifeLock allows you to try it out with zero risk because they offer a 60-day money-back guarantee to ensure customer satisfaction.

• App included: Be aware of alerts and essential information on the go with the included LifeLock app.

• Personal expense and stolen funds reimbursement: If theft of your identity does occur, you will be reimbursed for personal expenses and stolen funds; coverage amounts vary depending on the plan.

• Million dollar expert coverage: In addition to the reimbursement of expenses and stolen funds, LifeLock also has a plan in place that provides members with up to $1 million in coverage for lawyers and experts to resolve at all plan levels.

Profile picture of Rob Douglas
Rob Douglas Identity Theft Protection Contributing Editor

Rob Douglas is an information security consultant specializing in the investigation and prevention of identity theft and scams. Rob is one of the nation’s leading authorities on the use of social engineering, impersonation, fraud and pretext to steal personal information. For two decades, Rob has assisted the financial services sector, the telecommunications industry, the general business community, government and law enforcement agencies to better understand the scope and methodology of identity crimes through presentations, educational materials, auditing and consultation.

LifeLock Company Information