Call toll free
2.08/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

LifeLock provides modern identity theft protection. With the flood of mobile technology and apps, consumer behaviors and expectations are changing, along with what “identity” actually means. LifeLock is committed to providing its consumers some peace of mind amid the threat of identity theft.

LifeLock identity theft protection uses innovative monitoring technology and alert tools to help proactively safeguard your credit and finances.† They will send you alerts for potential identity

theft by text, ‡‡ phone, email or mobile app. If identity theft does occur, a U.S.-Based Identity Restoration Specialist, dedicated to you, is there to personally manage your case.

No one can prevent all identity theft.

† LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses.

‡‡ Phone alerts made during normal local business hours.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

LifeLock provides identity theft protection and monitoring services. The company is an industry leader and offers three different package options.

PROS

• Variety of plans
  • Remediation available
  • Industry leader

CONS

• Prices change after the first year

Top LifeLock Reviews

08/28/2018

LifeLock had a good reputation, so we went in that direction. My identity was hacked in June and one of the initial notifications came from them. We've got the premium package on both of our computers just because it makes sense to be protected.

11/19/2018

I like the fact that it can actually monitor my bank and charge accounts with site credentials and get actual balance information. The free credit report was a nice addition. [It's] like a virus scanner, it won't catch everything, but the insurance is the best part.

LifeLock services

LifeLock is considered to be an industry leader in providing individual and business identity theft protection. They offer three different package options, from basic monitoring to full protection and recovery of your money or identity. LifeLock is recognized by the Online Trust Honor Roll and partnered with the digital security software company Norton by Symantec.

LifeLock notifies you immediately if your information is compromised by monitoring major data breaches, credit reporting agencies and the dark web. The company offers 24-hour assistance, and if your identity is compromised, LifeLock will assist you by providing lawyers to help litigate your case, plus reimbursement for your expenses and lost property.

LifeLock is a membership organization where customers can choose between membership levels. If you are looking for identity theft protection for your business, you can call the company for a quote.

LifeLock plans and pricing

LifeLock provides identity theft and digital security protections at three membership levels: Select, Advantage, and Ultimate Plus. Each plan offers an introductory rate, with a price increase after the first year. The chart below provides an overview of LifeLock cost by plan.

PlanFirst-year costCost after first year
Select$9.99/month$14.99/month
Advantage$19.99/month$24.99/month
Ultimate Plus$29.99/month$34.99/month

Select: Offers $25,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds and security for five electronic devices, plus the regular LifeLock benefits.

Advantage: Offers $100,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for 10 devices, bank and credit card alerts and alerts for crimes in your name.

Ultimate Plus: Offers $1 million in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for an unlimited number of devices, bank and credit card alerts, 401(K) investment alerts, alerts for crimes in your name, and reports from all three credit bureaus.

How does LifeLock work?

Most of the time, LifeLock members will be able to forget they are even customers — which, according to LifeLock, is the point. As a LifeLock customer, you can rest assured your data is secure.

Once you join, you simply make monthly payments and the company closely monitors your information. When something suspicious occurs, you are either alerted by phone, text or a notification from the LifeLock app.

If you want to engage with the company further, they offer a credit report, an online portal to show your profile, and notifications about any data breaches that may affect your information.

Do we recommend LifeLock?

LifeLock has been the industry leader in identity theft protection for more than a decade. The company boasts nearly 5 million members and returned millions of dollars in assets to people who have had their identities or property stolen. Although a price tag up to $34.99 a month may not be as cheap as other companies, it does provide the broadest range of coverage with a company known to maintain a high level of service.

2309 LifeLock Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

This service has been very easy to set up, I like the fact that it can actually monitor my bank and charge accounts with site credentials and get actual balance information. The free credit report was nice addition. It had a lot of places to add all kinds of information to look out for, someone else reviewed negatively due to service not catching an attempt at identity theft, the response was we cannot catch everything, this is 100% true, as a computer expert it's like a virus scanner, it won't catch everything, but the insurance is the best part.

I had my card information stolen several months ago from a gas pump I assume, of course Visa fraud protection caught it, however I have been receiving a bazillion robocall scams and no matter how much I try to aggravate them so I will get my number off the list they keep trying. I haven't had the opportunity to deal with actually having to file any claims over identity theft so I cannot rate that process or the cancellation process. The Android app is well designed, it feels like a Google native application rather than some hack job of a port from Apple. I emailed a question through the app and was responded to within a couple of hours, how many times have you gotten a response to an email inquiry in that amount of time?

All I can say is the service was very easy to get connected to, setting up to pay with PayPal worked well which is the perfect way to use to pay for any service that allows it as cancellation is a piece of cake should you need it, many companies that want it hard for you to cancel refuse to take PayPal. Example, your cable provider will not let you use it, they want the ability to force charge you when they could easily deactivate your account, and the equipment they give you is dirt cheap even though they act like it's priceless.

All I can say is negative reviews here may be warranted in certain cases, but remember, people usually go to write reviews when they are mad, but how many people search online and write good reviews? I hope to have a good experience with this service, sooner or later lenders etc will require some insurance protection like this the same way you must maintain automobile and homeowner's insurance when you still owe the lender.

LifeLock response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We're glad to know that you have peace of mind with your LifeLock membership in place.

LifeLock Product Support Analyst

Get expert buying tips about Identity Theft Protection delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I did some research online and saw that there were very good reviews for LifeLock. Identity theft was a growing issue, so getting identity theft protection was a smart thing to do and LifeLock has been a godsend. I had retired a year ago and I'm not sure how my information got out, along with my wife's information. It may have been due to the Anthem leak. About 6 months ago, I got a text from LifeLock saying that someone was trying to open up a cellular account under my name and that they had my name, address, birthdate, and Social Security number. I responded to the text, which also suggested that I log on to their website. I did that and confirmed that it wasn't me. I called LifeLock and they connected me to their Fraud Department. The person I spoke with contacted AT&T, got AT&T's Fraud Department on the phone, and canceled the application. Then a couple of weeks later, my wife got a text about the same thing.

Over the last couple of months, there has been three more attempts for me with Sprint and Verizon. If it wasn't for LifeLock, I would be having to fight those battles on my own with the carriers. LifeLock notifies me right away or, at worst, within 24 hours and it's probably within a few hours of the application going in with the carriers. Their team is extremely professional. We talked about putting a credit freeze with the Credit Bureaus, which I did. They were very helpful, not just to resolve the situation at hand, but to further improve my security. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

LifeLock response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We are happy to hear that our specialists provided the level of service you expected. We value you as a member.

LifeLock Product Support Analyst

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

LifeLock notified me via voicemail that my identity had been stolen. I was in a very awkward international airport then. I called and the lady was incapable of verifying my identity. I hung up and came home. When I got up the next morning, I found an email stating that LifeLock would have to investigate me to see if I had stolen money so that I could apparently steal it from LifeLock. It was a very insulting email for which I paid hundreds of dollars a year, almost $1000 including me and my husband. For the money I pay, I don't deserve to get an email that says they couldn't help me for a week because they have to prove I didn't commit the theft myself. That's just wrong.

I logged in and all the information was there. I called the vendor and explained the situation. The vendor was extremely helpful, disabled the account and sent me an email confirmation. I was done two hours after the next morning, less time than it took me to try to deal with the first woman and less time than it took me to get over the insulting email that I received from LifeLock. A week later, after being all done with that, the woman called me and kept talking about how they were gonna help me resolve my problem. I said that they were doing nothing because I already resolved it while they were investigating me to see if I was a thief.

If all I'm paying for at LifeLock is the data access to see if my identity is stolen, I don't care. I'm good with that. If they don't want to provide any services but an alert and then, I guess if my identity is truly stolen and I apparently can somehow prove that to LifeLock, which I'm completely unsure of at this point, then I guess LifeLock might actually do something other than actually just alert me to the fact that my critical identifying information was stolen and used. A freaking almost $1000 a year is a lot of freaking money to be insulted. However, I am happy to pay the money for LifeLock because I and my husband had been hacked at least eight times. Every data point that could ever exist about either of us is on the dark web or whatever the equivalent of the dark web is these days.

When my credit card was stolen, my bank was all snippy about it and I said, "Well, I can just send you the notification from LifeLock that it's for sale on the dark net." Their attitude changed 100%. So my experiences when LifeLock notifies me that there's a problem is great. I recommended to anybody. But my naivety was thinking that someone at LifeLock was gonna help me. The part where I got this call alarming me and then there was supposed to be another call, an email and then eventually, I would get an email telling me that, "Oh, we at LifeLock have to verify that this is an actual event," what does that mean?

I have a Verizon cellphone for 10 years. Any phone trace can find that. You just go to Princeton and trace the phone and you know where it is so why would it take LifeLock a week to verify the bona fides of the event. That was just insulting. If they're a week behind in customer service because the volume is so great, they should just say that. What are they gonna verify? And the woman who called me obviously a week later after it was all resolved had obviously not verified anything at all. She did not even know what the situation was beyond whatever email notification she got. LifeLock offers a great service and then they offer a totally crummy service that totally takes away from the great service they offer.

When we had to buy a car, we had to unfreeze my husband's credit account with a single one of the credit rating companies. In that 15 minutes, we had gotten three alerts. One was for one of those super dangerous public databanks where your info is sold. I tried to get my husband off that website, but LifeLock offered no help at all. People who appreciate that they have crummy customer service, but they give an essential service in the hacked world of today are gonna give them high reviews and that's just gonna translate into dumb managers thinking that they need to improve one or the other. However, it got to the point about five years ago where the hackers were just winning and we've done everything. All our credit reports have been frozen for 12 years. We aggressively pursue any junk mailer. We try as hard as we can, but without a service like LifeLock, you just have no protection.

LifeLock Product Support Analyst

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

As a result of what's been going on over the past 10 years with computers and security, I decided to join LifeLock. And by signing up, I’d sort of be on the lookout for the rest of the family members if there something going on. Then after many years of having LifeLock, I became the victim of identity theft. LifeLock communicated with me that my name turned up on the dark web and within a week, there was this unscrupulous activity that was taking place. Then within a day, LifeLock was already on it. They were communicating with me, putting me in touched with the credit bureaus, and taking certain actions to protect my identity even though it was already out there by putting alerts on and shutting down those activities.

There were a couple of things where accounts with credit card companies and security companies were opened in my name and LifeLock reached out to them with me to get those shut down. There was one in particular that was not communicated well at all with myself and LifeLock and LifeLock pursued that to the restoration team and to the legal team. Eventually, it took about four months, but they shut down that one completely as well as other frauds that may have taken place after being associated with me as an individual.

LifeLock's restoration team was terrific. One of them was emailing me and updating me once every five weeks, letting me know that the team was still working on it, the efforts that were made, and the responses that were coming in. She kept me abreast and in the loop the entire time. Then, after elevating my particular situation up to the next level with the legal team, I finally got a response that cleared me of everything. Also, there have been incidents that have popped up since then and once again, I've been on the phone with LifeLock to get in front of that before it ran away on me. But now that we've got alerts on all the major credit bureaus, the credit bureaus had been calling me, first and foremost, to find out whether or not it was in fact me who had been reaching out and putting in a request. So, while the identity theft continues, LifeLock has been there to try to stop it from getting out of the box.

I was thrilled with LifeLock and what they did for me. They’ve been working sort of full-time around the clock and now, this is how I'm keeping an eye on what's going on as my own daughters started getting older. I've now signed up my wife as well as my one daughter who’s 21 and I'm already considering signing up my second daughter who’s 19 years old.

Before, I wondered whether LifeLock was worth the time and effort and for five years, I hadn’t heard anything. But now, all of a sudden, when I needed them, they were there. In fact, I've upgraded my service to the highest one and I sleep better at night knowing that LifeLock is there surveiling what's going on and that they would alert me if something happens. I'm one of those individuals who's very savvy enough that I'm very careful on what I do on computers in terms of account. I don’t even do online banking for that reason yet I was a victim. So, if I can be victim, anyone can be victim. I have also recommended LifeLock to friends. In this day and age, it's something everyone should consider having for themselves.

LifeLock Product Support Analyst

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I’ve been a member of LifeLock for 13 years and back in the day, I started hearing about identity theft. It was terrifying to think that someone could steal my identity and have to deal with the issue. I remember years ago there being that commercial with the man who started the business, with his Social Security number all over the place. I thought that it was who I wanna work with and be with.

There was somebody who created a seller’s account on Amazon, and then Amazon sent me a text document saying that I sold $50,000 worth of items. It was challenging to start to open a case because nobody wanted to and getting someone to help me was frustrating. I finally called LifeLock late at night and begged the woman to help me. I asked her what I needed to do to open up a case and she told me. After that, it has been amazing. Someone called her a couple of weeks ago with the same issue and she told me that she was gonna help me in every way possible. She sent me email documents and her communication was outstanding. She was so passionate and I felt so relieved.

I had a cash form I had to submit and I didn’t fill it out right. She told me how to do it and she told me everything I needed. She never left my side. I would email her to ask if she could talk and she would get with it right away. She got the credit bureau on the phone and she did a seven-year thing where they said I would not get notices. She was amazing. I am grateful that I have LifeLock because I couldn’t have done it myself. It was the best experience I could ever have and I would tell my friends that they must join LifeLock. If ever they have identity theft, I’m gonna help them figure out how to open up a case. It’s so worth it to be a member.

LifeLock Product Support Analyst

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock (A Symantec Company)?

Original review: July 20, 2019

LifeLock made it easy to pay a monthly fee to them, but I have never connected with anyone to explain what security I actually get. I’ve had my debit card compromised twice without any communication from Lifelock. I also found two people using my first name and birthdate. I tried to connect with someone to ask what I should do and it was tough to find on the website a communication link.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Just never helping. Always not my job. They always find a way out. We don't do that. You must call yourself. We don't have that info. Even your description of problem is outdated just so as not to this it.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 10, 2019

I don't know if this company is worth a penny to spend on anymore. It certainly is a hassle to cancel these parasitic subscriptions. I refuse to talk to anyone in the Philippines or India or any 3rd world country about any of my accounts period, no exception. Seriously? Are people in the US that dumb now? I don't care what you think of me. If you are in some Banania, we are done talking, and I'm done paying to that company too. No! Not ever! I now doubt the total value of Norton Internet security products altogether and considering dumping this brand. To me, Norton brand starts to smell like McAfee's hammocks, thanks to LifeLock. I don't know if Norton even does anything to protect our devices other than slowing down our speed and spying on us.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 7/12/2019 and addressed their concerns.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I tried to subscribe today, over the phone, with LifeLock. The rep was new, could not read script, could not get it done in over 30 minutes. Spoke to supervisor who laughed at my experience. Wasted over an hour of my day trying to get service. Rush Limbaugh should not enforce them. People are incompetent!

Original review: July 3, 2019

My credit card was used without my knowledge and Visa provided a text to let me know. I contacted Lifelock twice that evening and ended up trying to communicate with 2 separate Philippine agents with no success. They couldn't explain my coverage or anything related to my concern. I asked for a US agent and they put me on infinite hold. Later I learned that US agents are only available M-F during regular business hours. Well issues don't always occur during regular business hours Monday through Friday. I have been a LifeLock member for ~5 years. Money spent with NO Value!

Original review: July 1, 2019

I received an email that said to review my information and to correct any discrepancies. So I called them to correct the discrepancies and they told me to wait for the annual check that they make. So I asked why they would tell me to correct them. Their answer was just wait for the annual report. So I asked why did they say to correct the information if they would not do anything. So then they hang up on me. I’m not paying for this kind of service. I’m done. Canceled today.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Today, I called Lifelock to cancel my membership. Of course, reps are trained to offer you discount deals to get you to stay as a member, however, if you decide that you wish to cancel your membership, it shouldn't be stressful. My conversation with the rep started out so wonderful and pleasant. She offered me deal after deal and I consistently said "no, I want to cancel my membership." I explained to the rep that it was open enrollment season at my job and I will sign-up through my employer for a better rate. Finally the rep cancelled my membership, however, her attitude changed. If a customer wants to cancel his/her membership, it shouldn't be so difficult. The same pleasant customer service persona that was exhibited in the beginning of the conversation must be the same to the end. Impressions are everlasting. The way a rep interacts with its customers can affect a merchant's bottom line!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 23, 2019

I subscribed with LifeLock at the same time as with Norton with the understanding that LL was included with my subscription with Norton. I was billed separately by LifeLock for a year before it dawned on me that this shouldn't be happening (I know, I'm dumb). When I attempted to get this resolved by LifeLock AND Norton, all I got was a runaround and a "too bad, your fault" from both.

LifeLock response

LifeLock attempted to contact the member on 06/26/2019 by phone and email to address her concerns. We would be happy to address the member’s concerns, should they return our calls.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I called LifeLock to report that I've been experiencing issues with people making fraudulent charges on my credit cards and was treated like a criminal. The customer service was no help and continued to ask me was I on a speaker phone and was someone in the room with me. When I called again, I was unknowingly transferred to the Norton dept. where the agent asked me questions in detail about one of the fraudulent charges that happened to be from Norton. Thinking that I'm speaking to someone in the customer service dept. Given his line of question, I was prompted to inquire about what dept was he worked in. That's when I was informed that he work in the Norton Department. I then let him know that I know that he wasn't supposed to ask me those questions and that I know that something isn't right because he doesn't handle those matters.

My last called was regarding mortgage fraud. Instead of investigating everything that was told to them in the numerous calls made by me to them, the consumer service rep. tells me she will send me a packet to fill out more info. According to him, the information I gave them wasn't enough to start trying to find out who are the people responsible for all this. There is no time to sit on this. They need to start investigating these crimes and hold these individuals/groups accountable. They're not applying all the services that LifeLock says that they have to protect its clients from fraud and identity theft as promised despite being given enough information to start investigating this.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I got an alert, and tried to log in. Couldn’t do it. Called LifeLock, and they grilled me, asking 4 security questions, like phone number and address. I answered all correctly (I should know). Was told I was wrong, and there was NOBODY above the phone operator I could talk to. They wanted me to send them a copy of my driver's license. No way! Now thoroughly angry, I said, "cancel my subscription," and was told I could not! If they say my correct answers are wrong, then something suspicious is going on at LifeLock. Why would I send my driver's license to what could be hackers wanting personal info! Do not deal with these people.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I signed up for LifeLock because my wallet was stolen and although I shut down all of my cards and put a fraud alert and freeze on my credit with the three credit bureaus, I wanted an extra layer of protection. What a waste it has turned out to be! I am still getting letters from creditors alerting me to attempts to open accounts in my name, but LifeLock is not catching this at all. When I called them, I get their BS rhetoric about not being able to catch all fraudulent activity. In my opinion they are not catching ANYTHING! Save yourself the money, you will have to do it on your own anyway.

LifeLock response

LifeLock attempted to contact this member on 06/17, 06/19, and 06/21 via telephone and email. We would be happy to address the member’s concerns, should they return our calls.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I would be careful when you decide to choose this company. I had them for a while and had no issues. My problems stem from the fact that I had a bank card stolen which I immediately cancelled. I never updated payment for LifeLock and decided not to because I didn’t want to renew the service. Well, lo and behold fast forward 5-6 months and my wife informs me we were charged for LifeLock on a throwaway comment. How can this be I think? I check the app and yeah, the old credit card for payment is still on file but somehow they were getting their monthly payments. I call the guy and after 20 minutes he tells me “sometimes the card will automatically update with us.” What miracle is this company performing that they out of every company I employ is able to get my new credit card numbers without my permission?

LifeLock response

LifeLock attempted to contact this member on 06/13, 06/17, and 06/19 via telephone and email. We would be happy to address the member’s concerns, should they return our calls.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I got an alert of a collection under my name. I contact LifeLock. First want me to give them information about the notification and when did I receive it? DO THEY NOT HAVE ACCESS TO IT TO SEE WHEN THE ALERTS WERE SENT? Then, they ask me to contact the collection agency to dispute it. Really? I thought I paid LifeLock for this. I first have to gather all the information from the collection agency regarding the fraud. Then I call LifeLock back to be on the phone for 1 hr (45 mins of it on hold). Then told I am going to be transferred to the Resolution Team and I would need to be on the phone as they reviewed it which can take up to 30 mins.

For as much as I pay, I would expect them to notify me of the incident, ask me a couple of questions and look in the matter to get it corrected. For me to gather all the information to give to them, so that they may bundle it up and then look into it to try and take care of it is ridiculous. Seriously starting to doubt if they can actually take care of anything since those who are paying them have to do almost everything, except submit the information to the Credit Bureau. When I spoke to the collection agency, I spoke to them for 8 mins. Said they would submit it as fraud and look into it. Easier to call them instead of LifeLock since you will be doing all the work anyways.

LifeLock response

LifeLock attempted to contact member on 06/05/2019,06/10/2019, and 06/13/2019 dates and will be happy to address their concerns when our calls are returned.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I enrolled in LifeLock because of identity theft. The few times I called it was a total runaround. Even when I called regarding an alert, I was not able to get anywhere. Such a waste of time just trying to get a hold of them. I listed my Macy's account because it was continually being hacked. Someone just charged 514.00 from Georgia and not a peep from LifeLock. I do not recommend this company - it is a total waste of money and energy.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 05/31/2019 to address her concerns.

Original review: May 27, 2019

A break-in at my house at the beginning of 2009, together with an experience during a mortgage refi that showed 47 items on my credit report that did not relate to me lead me to the $99/year Lifelock enrollment. That did not take care of a situation a few years later when my IRS account got hacked. A notice of a data leak by email this morning caused me to get into my profile and notice a number of things that were not being monitored and boxes to "UPGRADE" to receive more services. A review of another site showed that monthly costs could go up to $18 or $27/month now. At the max, that would be over $300/year. Don't know about anyone else, but I watch my overhead costs and don't have the desire to have annual costs like this triple! Jeff **

Original review: May 23, 2019

I got an alert about my partner's credit and they wouldn’t talk to me even though the partner was unavailable. So each person is on their own even though the credit and money is common to everyone. On the phone they just refused to talk to me at all.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I've been using LifeLock for several years, but recently I had an alert notifying me of a recent application for a credit card. When this happens LifeLock prompts you to answer if you had recently applied for this credit card. If you select no, it will ask you follow questions, such as if you had recently applied for ANY credit cards or loans. The problem is if you select yes because you recently (in the last month) applied for a credit card/loan and a identity thief did the same thing in that time frame, then the suspicious activity will be dismissed as your own - whether or not you were the one applying for the credit card or loan.

Luckily for me, I got a rejection letter from the credit card company notifying me they could not process the request to open up the new credit card because they were unable to verify my identity. A credit card I never applied for. LifeLock dismissed the credit card application alert as my own, because I had recently applied for a credit card somewhere else and answered yes to one of their questions.

I spoke to LifeLock to tell them the newest request for a credit card application was not me. They emailed me saying that they “did a thorough investigation of this matter and determined the alert is a duplicate for an alert you already approved. With this information, we were able to close the investigation. No further action is required." The problem was that it was actually fraudulent activity, which I ended up resolving through TransUnion and the credit card’s fraud department

I then called LifeLock to file a complaint and was told that I should have selected “no” to the questions (about the credit card application & credit review alert). And because I selected yes to a credit review that was generated from this fraudulent credit card application, they automatically matched it with the other alert and dismissed it. During my subsequent follow up calls to LifeLock, I asked them about the “thorough investigation” and was basically told that they reviewed my alerts and because I marked one as suspicious and the other one as mine, that they matched them together and the alert was dismissed. Long story short, their services are unreliable and certainly not worth the cost.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I have been a member of LifeLock for several years and over the past 6 weeks have become a victim of identify theft. Three credit card applications were filed using my name and SSN. Two applications were filed attempting to open new telecommunications accounts and two applications were filed to open new bank accounts in my name. Of those, LifeLock alerted me to one credit card application and one of the applications for new telecom services. It did not alert me to either of the two applications for a bank account.

While I was able to stop the credit card applications by virtue of Lifelock's alert -- and other assistance I received -- one of the telecom accounts was successful opened by the fraudster (for which I did not receive any notification from LifeLock) and that fraudulently obtained phone number (registered in my name) was used to open and verify a credit union account in my name (for which I was not notified by LifeLock). Were it not for the efforts of a very alert and proactive fraud manager at the credit union, I would not have been aware either of that account or of the phone number that was fraudulently opened in my name and that was used as the basis upon which to open the credit union account. And it was that same fraud manager, not LifeLock, who alerted me to ChexSystems.com -- which banks use (rather than a credit bureau like Equifax) to verify details necessary to open a bank account.

The bottom line is that I would give LifeLock a C+ grade -- it's better than nothing and certainly has its uses but it is far from complete. Of the 7 instances of identify theft of which I currently am aware (3 credit card applications, 2 applications for telecom services, and 2 attempts to open bank accounts in my name), LifeLock caught 2 -- that's not even 1/3 that LifeLock caught. In my view, that is not a winning percentage. As a consequence, I am currently looking for another identity theft monitoring service with a better batting average.

Original review: May 9, 2019

As I said a couple of years ago my credit card was used by unknown parties to purchase beer making equipment down in South Carolina I think. I called LifeLock to report it and I was looking for assistance. I was told that they could do nothing and didn't offer any assistance which disgusted me after all I have been a Lifelock member for a long time. Needless to say my opinion of your services went downhill. But you are the only game in town, so what choice do I have.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the consumer on 05/10/2019 to address his concerns.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I paid $99 for a subscription and the first time I went to log in I could not. This was followed by one of the worst customer experiences I have had with a young and very sassy girl called Angelique. No resolution. Will not renew. The first time I called there was a 20 minute wait. They tell you that you are paying for their service????

LifeLock response

LifeLock attempted to contact the member on 05/09/2019 to address her concerns.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I had $10,000 hacked through my PayPal account. Called LifeLock. Their response.... call bank, call PayPal... as if we wouldn’t and if after waiting for however long it takes for them to do nothing or something... in my case 10 days, no guarantee I’d get my money back, all I get from LifeLock is this easy 10000 process before they do anything: https://lifelock.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/812302/1518630921/redirect/1/filename/Existing%20Card%20Compromise%20Claims%20Kit%20-%2020180214.pdf They do nothing, You do everything you would do anyway. No help... no $1 million insurance or lawyers. I’m destroyed financially. Thanks LifeLock!

Resolution response: April 29, 2019

Chris from Consumer Affairs contacted me and was most professional and able to contact LifeLock (Vanessa) by phone and address the issue. My remaining problem: LifeLock should have contacted me without the help of Consumer Affairs. The Initial email should have been all it required.

Cudos to Consumer Affairs.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I asked LifeLock to identify the company that made an inquiry against my credit. They replied that they needed the source of the information. I replied with, TransUnion. LifeLock replied with a form email informing me that they couldn't help. I thought was part of the service. In the past LifeLock has informed me as soon as the inquiry was made and by whom. This seems very strange and deserves attention.

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 04/29/2019 to address his concerns.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I signed up with LifeLock a number of years ago. I added my wife to the plan and paid my fees annually in advance. Over the years all I have gotten were mostly credit score changes or new account openings. Until yesterday when an email was sent to my wife at my email address (the only one they have). It is a Dark Web Alert with no additional data. I tried logging into the portal but there was no alert on my account so I decided to call. After going through an agonizing 20 minute computer speak session. I had to enter my wife's SS number, birth date several times.

Finally I was transferred to a customer service representative. I explained that I wanted to find out what action I had to take as a result of this alert. He responded by saying that he couldn't talk to me about it and asked to speak to my wife. I explained that my wife has been in a memory care facility for the last two plus years. He recommended I send in a power of attorney and then they could speak to me. I asked for a supervisor and got the same response so after an hour on the phone I give up, I still don't know what the alert was about. They said they were going to email me a power of attorney form, it has not arrived. What is funny is I can add people to the family account, cancel people from the account. There is only one billing account, one email and one password. It is so bad. I intend to cancel my subscription as it is worthless if I can't even access my family information. James **.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I called LifeLock today 4-19-19.. about my acct. at the around the end of call I was asked if I wanted to add Norton free to my ultimate plus..I eventually agreed as it was free so I thought I would give it a try. Seconds after hanging up I get emails informing me my credit card was billed and another email starting a new contract...I never agreed to either. I spent the rest of the day trying to rectify this situation and I now have been bill several more times and given one credit but my bill is yearly and I had just paid it in November...the way the charges look now is I have been billed another 526.00+ the $ I paid in November for a year..

I am now looking for a different company so I can cancel this as what I was told and what keeps being done is a huge mess. All my calls were sent overseas. The service Dept was open here but my calls were rerouted.. I have been a customer since about 2013 or before. Never once was I told in the beginning of this mess my acct would be canceled..and I would be billed again... IT DOES NO GOOD TO CALL AGAIN. I have done so..trying to have all that removed. The only thing left I can think of is cancel these accounts and payments...

LifeLock response

LifeLock contacted the member on 04/22/2019 to address her concerns.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I canceled my family's membership on February 14th and continue to get charged every month. The first month I called to see what happened and was told they were "aware that a bunch of customers were accidentally charged and they were working on getting it cleared up ASAP". They refunded one of the 5 accounts I was charged for the following week. The next month I was charged again. I called and the customer service rep told me that I should call my bank to stop payments. I asked her to contact billing since she would not transfer me to them and ask them to fix the billing due to the fact that I no longer had an account.

This month I was again charged for all 5 of my accounts. I called again and got the same message to call my bank and request a stop payment for all things coming from Lifelock. It seems like they are not wanting to do their job and passing me off the a bank?! I asked to speak to a supervisor. After 45 minutes, Barbara finally answered and told me I could not speak to billing about refunding the past months of payments even when I did not have an account. She told me she would file a message and get it to billing. "Great. Can they call me and let me know when they have processed a refund for the account that is canceled?" Nope. I was told they do not make or receive calls from billing.

"Ok, may I please speak to your supervisor?" Nope. She could only fill out a request to have someone call me in 3-5 days. Seriously? LifeLock is unwilling to rectify mistakes and make it right. I did a little research and they are not part of the BBB. Makes sense why, right? I have since contacted my bank and filed a fraudulent claim against them for the past months that I was charged for a service I was not receiving. Too bad it ended this way. I did like the service while I used it and would have likely returned in the future if I felt I needed monitoring again. I no longer can say that.

LifeLock Company Information

LifeLock (A Symantec Company)
Public