Accredited Partner

LifeLock

The LifeLock Brand is part of NortonLifeLock Inc.

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.63/5
Up to 25% off first year. Terms apply.
*Partner terms and conditions apply.

LifeLock provides modern identity theft protection. With the flood of mobile technology and apps, consumer behaviors and expectations are changing, along with what “identity” actually means. LifeLock is committed to providing its consumers some peace of mind amid the threat of identity theft.

LifeLock identity theft protection uses innovative monitoring technology and alert tools to help proactively safeguard your credit and finances.† They will send you alerts for potential identity

theft by text, ‡‡ phone, email or mobile app. If identity theft does occur, a U.S.-Based Identity Restoration Specialist, dedicated to you, is there to personally manage your case.

No one can prevent all identity theft.

† LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses.

‡‡ Phone alerts made during normal local business hours.

BOTTOM LINE

LifeLock provides identity theft protection and monitoring services. The company is an industry leader and offers three different package options.

PROS

• Variety of plans
  • Remediation available
  • Industry leader

CONS

• Prices change after the first year

Top LifeLock Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

LifeLock had a good reputation, so we went in that direction. My identity was hacked in June and one of the initial notifications came from them. We've got the premium package on both of our computers just because it makes sense to be protected.

I like the fact that it can actually monitor my bank and charge accounts with site credentials and get actual balance information. The free credit report was a nice addition. [It's] like a virus scanner, it won't catch everything, but the insurance is the best part.

LifeLock services

LifeLock is considered to be an industry leader in providing individual and business identity theft protection. They offer three different package options, from basic monitoring to full protection and recovery of your money or identity. LifeLock is recognized by the Online Trust Honor Roll and partnered with the digital security software company Norton.

LifeLock notifies you if your information is compromised by monitoring major data breaches, credit reporting agencies and the dark web. The company offers 24-hour assistance, and if your identity is compromised, LifeLock will assist you by providing lawyers to help litigate your case, plus reimbursement for your expenses and lost property.

LifeLock is a membership organization where customers can choose between membership levels. If you are looking for identity theft protection for your business, you can call the company for a quote.

LifeLock plans and pricing

LifeLock provides identity theft and digital security protections at three membership levels: Select, Advantage, and Ultimate Plus. Each plan offers an introductory rate, with a price increase after the first year. The chart below provides an overview of LifeLock cost by plan.

PlanFirst-year costCost after first year
Select$9.99/month$14.99/month
Advantage$19.99/month$24.99/month
Ultimate Plus$29.99/month$34.99/month

Select: Offers $25,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds and security for five electronic devices, plus the regular LifeLock benefits.

Advantage: Offers $100,000 in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for 10 devices, bank and credit card alerts and alerts for crimes in your name.

Ultimate Plus: Offers $1 million in reimbursements for stolen funds, security for an unlimited number of devices, bank and credit card alerts, 401(K) investment alerts, alerts for crimes in your name, and reports from all three credit bureaus.

How does LifeLock work?

Most of the time, LifeLock members will be able to forget they are even customers — which, according to LifeLock, is the point. As a LifeLock customer, you can rest assured your data is secure.

Once you join, you simply make monthly payments and the company closely monitors your information. When something suspicious occurs, you are either alerted by phone, text or a notification from the LifeLock app.

If you want to engage with the company further, they offer a credit report, an online portal to show your profile, and notifications about any data breaches that may affect your information.

Do we recommend LifeLock?

LifeLock has been the industry leader in identity theft protection for more than a decade. The company boasts nearly 5 million members and returned millions of dollars in assets to people who have had their identities or property stolen. Although a price tag up to $34.99 a month may not be as cheap as other companies, it does provide the broadest range of coverage with a company known to maintain a high level of service.

LifeLock Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I called Lifelock because I wanted to merge my Lifelock and Norton accounts because I was currently paying separately for both. When I called in the agent was very nice but said I had to wait until the 8th of Sept to merge accounts. My question is why did I have to wait? He said it was because my Norton acct would run out on the 8th. So, I'm hoping when I call in today with my reference number they understand what I'm talking about and will merge the two accts and that I won't lose the info that I have already in my original Lifelock acct. The agent gave me the above Ref. number but no order number. I would like to say the agent Carlos was extremely polite and understanding and tried to do everything he could to accommodate me so please don't think he did anything wrong. I think he was following the rules and his hands were tied. I don't blame him for anything. I wish all agents were as nice and helpful as him.

LifeLock response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We are happy to hear that our specialists provided the level of service you expected. We value you as a member.

Sincerely,

Autumn Moore

NortonLifeLock Product Support Analyst

Get buying tips about Identity Theft Protection delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2020

LifeLock seems like paying for what you can get for free...I had an opportunity years ago to have LifeLock as a sample product, and I wasn't impressed. Unless you've got a lot of investments and you're wheeling and dealing all over the place, I don't think that level of paid protection is necessary in today's day and age. If you've got a few credit cards and a couple bank accounts, just use the free automatic alerts. Set thresholds, and you'll see if any unauthorized activity is going down, and all in real-time. LifeLock might be a great option for people with diverse investments and properties/big ticket purchases, where they've got a lot of money floating around and it's hard to track or they're just feeling vulnerable, or those who do not wish to get into tech dealing with push notifications, emails, and similar alert options.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Lifelock offered a really good service when I first signed up for their service back in 2009. They were at the forefront of providing good security monitoring in a changing climate of cyber security. Though there were times that my own credit card company alerted me of questionable activity when the Lifelock didn't. Their email alerts are helpful in prompting me to take note of the latest security breaches that are custom-tailored to my accounts.

It has been in recent years they have offered a premium service on top of their standard level of security for an added price, which as a long-time subscriber I feel should not be an added cost since their prices have also risen as well. With many other credit monitoring services available today, I feel that Lifelock should reconsider charging extra for their premium service when there are more credit monitoring services available on the market for less or already included with so many offerings today.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

When you are young you assume you have the rest of your life to correct your mistakes. What if you were being held responsible for mistakes you didn’t make? That’s an awful feeling, that’s exactly what went through my mind after hanging up my call from Lifelock. Someone had attempted to steal my personal information and use it without my permission. Thankfully I am enrolled in the ultimate plus membership with life lock. They alert me when my personal information shows up on third party websites. Where it can be sold to other people on the dark web.

Without my lifelock membership, I would have never known my information had been compromised until it was too late. I use to think that could never be me, but it almost was. Imagine working your entire life to save and work hard to make a living for it to be taken in a matter of seconds. With my lifelock membership I am relieved to know, I have a team of professionals working hard daily. Making sure, that I don’t have to worry about my personal information ending up in the wrong hands or places.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Service as advertised. However, systems...text, VM, PC and PH App are not seamlessly tied together and you may clear the alert and then see it again and again via different sources even though you’ve already cleared/ ok’d it. Notifications are not always clear to interpret. If you are shopping for finance, expect multiple notifications, sometimes many days later. Now trying to push monthly fees to annuals. That tells me they are trying to ensure they keep revenues locked down. Now trying to push another fee at you with Norton Antivirus scare tactics. Too bad no guarantee with it! At $ 30.00 a month it’s not cheap, but I’ve had it for years. I’m retired now and on a fixed income... I am looking at my options.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

If you get scammed by a caller, you will get no help from Lifelock. At first, they sound hopeful, then you get their filing documents, and they are a true hurdle. They could have just told you at first, based on your description of the scam, that your loss would not be covered. Instead you have to complete mounds of paperwork, get no response from your filing, and when you finally reach an agent, they let you know that your loss won't be covered, since it was simply a scam you should have not fallen for. Apparently to benefit from your Lifelock coverage, you have to truly have your identity stolen, and the thief must run up bills that you are not aware of. Not much help for the premiums you have paid!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

When I signed up for this service years ago they did a great job and kept in contact with me. I even added my disabled mother to my account. Recently I hadn't been receiving anything in my name from the company, but I figured it was due to me not applying for credit or making any major moves. Last week I was logging into my account to see if I could expand it to cover my stepdad as he had recently begun making some poor decisions regarding his internet presence and bank account. I was irritated to find that my name had been removed from my account along with all of my information and completely replaced with that of my mother.

When I attempted to contact customer service they ignored the fact that my name was on the contact email and that the payment was coming from my employer and told me that they could not help me as this was not the name they had on my account. I repeat. I opened the account under my name through my employer using my company email address. That was literally my name at the company domain. There is no arguing here that this is my account not my mother's. I have since closed my account since they refuse to fix their error.

I really am disappointed, because until the last year I couldn't make a change an account or even apply for credit without getting a notification within minutes, that is what I was paying for. I have other services now that are included with a couple of my credit cards that do the same thing now so I'm using those going forward. I honestly feel that the problems started when they combined with Norton. I used to use Norton for Anti-virus on all my devices until it reached the point that it completely froze my computers any time I attempted to use them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I reported an identity theft that was used to secure a disaster loan from the Small Business Administration (SBA), date unknown. I discovered this from receiving a loan statement from SBA, addressed to "Hugh Keith **" showing the loan amount and the payment to be due on 8/1/2021. I contacted the SBA and reported the receipt of the statement, and, when asked by the agent to affirm that the last two digits of my SSN and year of birth, he read the numbers to me and both matched, so I affirmed that for him. He then told me that I was the victim of an identity theft and that I should call the Dept of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and all three credit reporting agencies, all of which I did. I contacted Lifelock and filed a report, reference no. **, and I was informed by the agent that I would be sent a packet within 24-48 hours to fill out and return to Lifelock to "restoration services."

A week later, I got the packet and it was for Unemployment Insurance Fraud. I emailed Lifelock and told them I did not file a report for Unemployment Insurance Fraud, I filed a report on Identity Theft, so please send me a packet for that. I got a return email from Lifelock directing me to call member services, using the number provided in the email. I did, and it was a long line of questions, with 2 minute holds for each question. Finally, the agent came back and told me that I would have to be referred to another department, and he asked me if it was OK to ask his supervisor to approve the departmental transfer, to which I answered, "yes." Then he came back on and started talking to me, and when I tried to answer, he apparently couldn't hear me. He couldn't hear me and eventually told me to call back.

I hung up and called back and got a different agent. She went through all of the questions all over again and finally told me that I would have to provide more information on the loan that the identity thief used to acquire the loan, and that I could then call back with that information and file a report, which I thought I had done in October. I then called SBA and told the agent there that I needed some information on the loan. He told me that he couldn't do that because the loan was under investigation, based on the report I had filed earlier. So now I am stuck not being able to file a report that I had thought I had filed in October, for lack of information that I can't get because I properly filed a report of identity theft to the SBA. Thanks for the opportunity to report my experience with Lifelock.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

Norton LifeLock Security Online notified me of a threat to my computer back in August and claimed it blocked and quarantined the attack. After that point, someone was able to remotely access my computer and steal money from a bank account and log in to online stores and purchase products using my stored details. I had run every scan that the system offered and it never found any other issues. The problem occurred again, yet no Norton response. I used another software platform last night to scan my computer and IT found the issue and addressed it for free. The below files/applications were found by the other software platform and finally deleted. Hopefully Norton can update their virus definitions as apparently these aren't included. It has cost me a lot of time and money that would have been saved if I hadn't been trusting Norton to protect my computer.

Win32/RA-based.NJN trojan

Win32/RiskWare.RemoteAdmin.NetSupportManager.G application

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

All I need is some help reconnecting one of my financial accounts so it can be monitored. I followed every step and I was unable to reconnect the account. I retried several times with the same results....NONE!

LifeLock Company Information