Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 4 stars6%
  • 3 stars5%
  • 2 stars3%
  • 1 stars4%

LifeLock gives people a sense of confidence to live freely in an always-connected world. We’re a leading provider of proactive identity theft protection services for consumers and identity risk and credit worthiness assessment for enterprises. Since we were founded in 2005, we have been pioneers in identity protection, leveraging unique data, science and patented technology and providing identity threat detection, proactive identity alerts, and comprehensive remediation services, the cornerstones of our business. With more than 3.6 million LifeLock members, we’re committed to providing our consumers some peace of mind amid the threat of identity theft.

LifeLock has been a great asset to me, they have caught fraud attempts on my credit through the years and it is even more important today to have their service. I feel it is worth whatever the cost to keep your credit protected. I would recommend this service to anyone. Thank you LIFELOCK.

My identity has been stolen so it has been very important to me that LifeLock is there to make sure it isn't abused further. All the agents involved in resolving this latest issue have been prompt, professional and courteous. So nice to know you have my back! THANK YOU!

Since joining LifeLock I no longer worry about hackers and thieves. I am not a person who has a great deal of money, which makes it even more important that I am careful. Now I have LifeLock to do that for me. I encourage everyone to join LifeLock to receive the same peace of mind.

Detected someone checking on my credit report while applying for a equity loan for our account. I feel better that someone is looking out for my credit cards, bank accounts, and loans. I would recommend LifeLock to all my friends and neighbors by telling them of my experiences with LifeLock. Thank you.

Excellent and intuitive handling of personal identity related issues. I signed up after my wallet was stolen and there was an attempt to take my identity from me. Lifelock proved very helpful in alerting me almost daily on activity across financial and personal accounts. Highly recommended.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeLock?

LifeLock

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. Please contact our Member Services Dept at 1-800-Lifelock (543-3562) for assistance to log into your portal. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sincerely
Member Affairs

Lifelock Inc.

Original review: July 13, 2016

I can't get to my account. How do I get in? If not please cancel my account ASAP...

LifeLock

Hello, I understand your concern. The LifeLock alert network includes a variety of product features and data sources. Although it is very extensive, our network does not cover all transactions at all businesses. So you might not receive a LifeLock alert in every single case. If you become a victim of identity theft while a LifeLock Member, we will spend up to one million dollars to hire experts to help your recovery. The benefits of the service guarantee are provided under a master insurance policy underwritten by the United Specialty Insurance Company. For full details, terms and restrictions on the policy, see LifeLock.com/legal.
Jamie Huckaby

Member Affairs Specialist

Original review: July 13, 2016

LifeLock is supposed to monitor to detect new accounts that are opened in my name to prevent identity theft. I moved, opened new credit accounts to purchase furniture and appliances for my new home, thousands of dollars. LifeLock missed all of these accounts. Thank goodness I had a backup credit/identity monitoring service which DID detect the new account activity to verify with me that I was the one who opened them. I found my subscription in LifeLock to be a complete and utter waste of money.

LifeLock

Hello, I am sorry to hear about the experience you had during your enrollment. I sincerely apologize on behalf of the LifeLock for your first experience with our company. Thank you for your feedback is very important to us.

Jamie Huckaby
Member Affairs

LifeLock, Inc.

Original review: July 8, 2016

The enrollment procedure was clumsy and if all my other interactions with LifeLock are as bad, I would not expect to renew.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: July 13, 2016

I was contacted by Lifelock today and everything was resolved. Somehow my e-mail was wrong and I did not receive any acknowledgment from Lifelock. The person I spoke to was very polite and courteous. I was amazed how fast these people responded to my problem. Says a lot for their credit monitoring!

LifeLock

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to speak with me today. You are correct that you did receive 30 days free before the billing occurred. I resent your Welcome Letter via email to the corrected email on file. If you have any further questions or need assistance please feel free to contact our Member Services at 1-800-Lifelock (543-3562) they are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sr. Member Affairs Specialist

Lifelock INC

Original review: July 7, 2016

I took advantage of LifeLock protection back in may of this year. It stated 30 days free protection. Well I put the payment on my Discover card. The services were charged to me. I never received any acknowledgement that I was covered - nothing! I don't know to this date what the processes and the coverage is, they never acknowledged they received my payment. The only way I found out was from my discover card statement. I have made some high dollar purchases lately and "LifeLock" Has not notified me. I wonder about the legitimacy of so called LifeLock!!

They have ways of detecting suspicious activity and let me know before the trouble mounts. Someone was trying to open a credit card in my name. LifeLock checked with me, and I could let them know immediately that the applicant was not me. They stopped the damage before it occurred.

Why do I not get emails telling me everything is good or not? I am getting ready to call you again, and see if I can get a proper answer to my question. As to what this tell us more stuff means I am at a loss.

On 5/27/16 a breach occurred on my Regions Credit Card unauthorized by me. In fact, it was several days later when the credit card company informed me of this fraud. I still do not know how my number was obtained or where it occurred.

This is the second time LifeLock has helped me - once about two years ago when someone stole my SS# & you called me early one morning & got the bank on the phone & you took care of that quickly. Then again I thought someone had tried to open up a credit card or loan using my credit & again you alerted me & also took care of that problem. Anyone that cares about their credit & banking should have LifeLock. Again thanks LifeLock.

I'm new to this service but so far it's the greatest thing ever and confident that if someone should try using my info for fraud LifeLock will be there to catch them and protect my name/identity and help bring the loser to justice.

Watching over me so well and helping me.

No Foreign Protection - In a Global Economy, I am suffering from foreign hacks. I would like to make a strong suggestion that efforts be made to get a better handle on transactions made abroad, in an effort to provide better protection.

Something looked odd I didn't know what it was. It went really well.

On June 27, 2016 I was in Macy's department store. I upgraded my charge card to an American Express card. Within five minutes of completing the transaction, I received a LifeLock alert text on my cell phone asking me to verify the credit check. I was impressed! There was also a follow-up email and phone request. Thank you, LifeLock!

LifeLock

Hello, Thank you for speaking to me regarding your concerns with your LifeLock account. We apologize that you were not able to get a resolution to your question at the time of your call. I am glad you are now able to view your updated credit score for the month of June. We want to assure you that our LifeLock Member Service department is available to answer any questions that you may have with your account 24 hours 7 day a week. Again, I do apologize for this inconvenience.
Sincerely,

Lynn Simmons, Member Affairs, LifeLock Inc.

Original review: June 30, 2016

As long as you need your accounts monitored, LifeLock will be fine. I've been a member for several years and my credit score is to update monthly. This month, it did not update, and I called to inquire. The next day, I got an e-mail stating that the matter has been transferred to the IT Department and I would hear from them soon. Today (3 days later), I called to inquire and I was told that I would have to wait to hear from the IT Department. I asked to speak with a manager and the operator put me on hold.

When she came back, she advised that the manager instructed her to e-mail the IT Department to inquire, but she still could not offer me an expected resolution time. I once again asked to speak with the supervisor, and I was put on hold for about 10 minutes before the operator came back to tell me that she is still waiting on a manager to respond to my request. I then just hung up. THIS IS NOT OKAY. If LifeLock can deduct money from my account every month to pay for services, they should at least feel obligated to provide those services. My job offers credit monitoring without the credit score component and I opted out b/c knowing my credit score is very important to me. Now I'm contemplating canceling my account. It's just not worth it.

I got an alert for Black Market and of course I panicked. Then I called LifeLock and the young lady answered my questions. To my surprise my email address showed up in 10,000 black market items. LifeLock had found this and alerted me. So my solution was to change password on the email address. Wow was I relieved. I have had LifeLock for 10 years now. I recommend it to all. I rest easy knowing they are looking out for me.

My experience with LifeLock is going on 3 years... once compromised it is there for ever. LifeLock not only helps with alerting you but also teaches you how to help yourself. I have alerts on all of the credit reporting companies and that is a huge mind relief. They also have the kindest and most knowledgeable representatives to help you through the process. Thank you LifeLock.

Hi, LifeLock might be helpful in specific scenarios, but I have yet to find one. For starters, LifeLock is expensive, they prey on the fear of the average person and the insurance-like feature-set they offer. As such, I think it would be great to also cover my child too, just in case, to protect their future. However, it is hard to really be able to justify the $56.09 (with coupon) to cover my child, who is 3 years old. My child does not have credit cards, a bank account or anything else. All they need to do is make sure no one opens anything in their name. I don't think it should cost almost $60 a child, then multiple that by the number of children I have, plus the Spouse cost; too much money for so little value. Currently, I do pay for the highest tier for myself, so I can review regarding all services offered.

On average, LifeLock seems to float about 2 days behind on Credit Card transactions. Meaning if someone stole my CC number, I won't really know until about 2 days later, in some cases, I've seen it take up to a week for LifeLock to see my spending. This also applies to when your credit report is pulled (for when you apply for a loan, credit card, or whatever else), however, usually that is a little more on time (within hours). However, that is still unacceptable at times.

Additionally, they should partner even closer with the Credit Bureaus to allow for "freezing" your credit with them (if you don't know already - you can call and freeze yourself with each bureau), however at this time, this is not a feature. I would like the option to be able to say I would like to allow this credit report pull, in which case, they communicate with the bureaus to unfreeze my credit temporarily, or no, this is not me, I didn't authorize my account to be pulled and let my credit remain frozen.

In regards to attaching/monitoring your various accounts, if your bank, credit card, or whatever else account you are monitoring has multi-factor authentication (meaning you use a username and password, and some other sort of authentication, such as a security question to verify who you are), they don't support this very well. In my case, my bank forces me to use the security questions after the username and password. LifeLock does support a single (1/one) security question; the active question you were asked. However, when they log in again to monitor the account, the security question rotates, and it fails to log in since it cannot remember the other questions (there is no way to save/remember each question and answer each time it is asked). This means you have to babysit LifeLock on a nearly daily basis to keep it logging into your accounts.

LifeLock limits the amount of things you can monitor, and you cannot pay on an ad-hoc basis to add more. For instance, you can only monitor a maximum of 5 credit cards, 2 insurance cards, 2 email addresses, etc. I have more than 5 credit cards and 2 insurance cards for myself (not including my wife or anyone else). I would happily pay another $1 per card or whatever (again, if it is affordable and not high priced) to monitor my cards. Or, they could simply allow for unlimited item/object monitoring for the covered person. They could authenticate each item by verifying the name on each credit card (or whatever is monitored) versus just asking for a number only. This could be allowed by charging and refunding 1 dollar per card to ensure accuracy.

There are free competitors that offer more features. While LifeLock offers a guarantee to cover your fees associated with whatever theft occurs, it is likely your bank and credit card company do too and with much less hassle or argument. LifeLock does drop the ball when it comes to tracking your spending. This seems like an easy feature they could add using easy dashboards built into web design software (I work in the IT field, so to me, this is easy as they are already made widgets). It would be nice if they took my spending, and graphed it for an easy view of where my spending is going (much like their competitors do, both free and paid for services). I know this isn't their market space, but it would be an easy feature to add for greater value for me paying for this service.

Additionally, I would like to see them add recommendations on how to build your credit score and/or pay off debt or whatever else. Come on, value-add LifeLock, be more than what you are, don't make me sign up with your free competitors to get those other features. Sure, you might monitor better, but that has yet to be seen by most people, including me, especially considering how slow you are to monitor and report on my credit.

When it comes to Internet monitoring services, much improvement is needed. My email address (the one LifeLock monitors) has been compromised in an online breach. Again, using free tools, I was able to get a report on my email address being compromised and where. However, LifeLock has never alerted me to that compromise. Apparently that LifeLock feature is useless. Later, I did get an alert from LifeLock saying my information is on the deep-dark-web/black-market sites for a different compromise, but LifeLock did little to assist me or provide useful information on the information it found. What good does this alert do me if I can't act on it (or it doesn't tell me how to act on it)? Or if the alert does not give me an action item or recommendation course of action. I need to know how to respond to such an issue, not just be alerted to it.

Additionally, LifeLock also monitors your information on a few large people search sites (called Privacy Monitor), however it doesn't opt-out for you. You have to opt-out yourself, then you click a button on LifeLock's website saying you opt-out. However, LifeLock does not continually monitor those sites to make sure you actually came off their site and/or reappear later on their site at a later date. When you log in, it just says you opt-out on this date, but does not say anything about them rechecking to make sure the website complied with your opt-out request and removed you. Even as such, the list of sites they check against is rather short and may do little to help, so don't expect much.

As I mentioned previously, they do give you information, but it doesn't do much to help you. It is more of a do it yourself service after the alert is given. Your card was stolen, go call your bank, someone opened a credit card, go close it, that sort of thing. The mobile app is rather weak too. I have two primary gripes with LifeLock in general, the high cost to monitor a minor child with no presence in the world (again, my oldest child is 3) and the lack of complete multifactor authentication support (in my case, just a simple to program security question).

Here is my prediction. One day I might get my identity stolen, and my bank account compromised, but I won't know at first because LifeLock doesn't support my banks required multi-factor authentication (which is just a rotating security question 5 questions in total). When I finally learn of this compromise, I will likely have to file a police report and will call LifeLock. They will likely turn around and tell me, we can't help you because you didn't keep your account up to date. I will be upset because to keep my account up to date is hard to do on a daily basis when they don't support normal security features that some banks insist on. Additionally, I will then have to call all three Credit Bureaus myself, and my bank/credit card companies, etc to keep myself safe. Again, just is just my prediction, but a concern I have nonetheless.

The web (and mobile app) graphical user interface is okay, but not amazing. It is relatively straight-forward but is not a customizable interface where you choose what dashboards you want to see on your home page. The mobile app is rather new and underdeveloped, just the basic features at this point. This service could be a good service, however they need to build out their services offered, get better at the ones they do offer, and actually listen to the end user (I've emailed them my thoughts and recommendations before and I got a standard thank you email in return). I hope my review helps. I will be happy to update my review with a better or worse rating as their services change in the future assuming I renew a 3rd year.

When I called to report that I had lost my purse the man I spoke to was very understanding and helpful. Fortunately I found my purse before I had wasted too much of his time. Needless to say I was relieved and happy.

We are retired... Nice that we have Lifelock to help us stay safe in purchasing things. Staying safe in our neighborhood... We would recommend your service to our friends. Thank you for keeping us up to date.

Once contacted regarding suspicious activity, I quickly followed instructions to request reports. The Alert Team contacted me several times before we were finally able to get together on a call during which the Alert Team contacted the parties in question and resolved the issues, including time spent on hold, within 30 minutes. Very courteous and concerned regarding my identity safety.

I got an alert from LifeLock about an account being open up at Navy Federal Credit Union. I know that was not me. I have never heard of it before. I called them and they got right on it and told me they would keep me informed. I was very upset and they understood me completely. If it was not for LifeLock I would not be a person today. I wonder if I was just paying money out and not getting anything for it. But I am telling you it is worth it. Thanks to LifeLock, my identity did not get taken. I have told everyone they need it. Thank you for being there for me and everyone that took my calls as I called more than once. Thank you again, LifeLock.

Great security monitoring and always helpful with questions. Response time is the best.

LifeLock

Hello, I am sorry to hear of the experience you had enrolling with LifeLock. I have attempted to contact you, but have been unable to reach you. LifeLock has multiple layers of protection for all member data, including but not limited to restricted access, network segregation and encryption. Sometimes during the enrollment it is possible that information submitted incorrectly would cause our system not process the enrollment successfully. Our agents normally advise the member that they will receive a email in 24 hours confirming their enrollment. All information is purge if an enrollment is not successful. Again I sincerely apologize. Denise Suggs Member Affairs LifeLock, Inc.

Original review: June 22, 2016

A week ago we called Lifelock and registered for Lifelock Ultimate Plus during the telephone contact. All the personal information for myself and my husband was given, along with credit card information for yearly payments. A security phrase was provided along with cellphone numbers and an email address. We were instructed to make a contact in our email for member.services@lifelock.com so our emails would not go to the spam or junk folder. We were also given a priority phone number. After a week had passed, and we still did not receive our email, we called Lifelock back. We were told there must have been some sort of error and we would have to provide all our information again. Why would we have to provide all our information again if our initial phone contact was recorded. Now we are left worrying who actually has our information and what kind of company Lifelock really is.

Am very pleased with services received. I have been alerted on regular basis and appreciate how quickly they respond to my needs.

Hello,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you had trouble reaching us by phone. We occasionally experience volume spikes, although our goal is to ensure that our calls are addressed quickly every time. The Lifelock alert network includes a variety of product features and data sources. Although it is very extensive, our network does not cover all transactions at all businesses. So you might not receive a Lifelock alert in every single case.

I apologize for the inconvenience incurred attempting to cancel your account.

Sr. Member Affairs Specialist

Lifelock Inc.

Original review: June 19, 2016

LifeLock is robbing people out of their hard earned money! I signed up with LifeLock on 4/9/2016. Since then I have opened 2 accounts. LifeLock has never contacted me once. Today's date 6/18/2016. I tried calling to cancel my membership and they gave a waiting time of 37 minutes. After 44 min I hung up. Called again and prompted to sign up and I was immediately transferred to a representative. I explained to her about my 37 min wait time and how I wanted to cancel and she said she didn't have access to cancel my account and redirected me back to that extension only to now get a 55 min wait. I was able to sign up online yet I cannot cancel online. Thank you for nothing LifeLock. Just canceled the card you thought you'd bill again. I call this legal scamming. It's a damn shame companies like this still exist.

LifeLock Company Profile