3.9/5 (610 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Nationwide Pet Insurance

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

Cons

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Bottom Line

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I had the full package including the wellness plan for my first dog and got reimbursed 90% but this dog never had any issues. Never really needed the insurance. I got another puppy and called and said I wanted the exact policy for my puppy that I have for my older dog including 90% reimbursement after $250 deductible and the wellness plan. They told me that plan is called something different now but it is the same plan. I said fine. Well this puppy turned one year and fractured his shoulder the following week. He needed a pin in his shoulder and submitted the claim. They only paid 30%! They told me that puppies under one year don’t qualify for the plan I requested and so I only get reimbursed their maximum for that procedure which is insanely low!

First of all, that’s not what they told me when I opened the policy for this puppy!!! They led me to believe I was getting the same plan as my other dog. Second, my puppy turned one the week before he needed this surgery but they still wouldn’t honor that because my policy doesn’t renew for 3 more months so I would have to call and upgrade at that time. So even after he did turn one, it didn’t make a difference anyway because you can’t upgrade until your policy renews. If this never happened I wouldn’t have known to call and upgrade and he would have been on this puppy plan for years. Third, NOWHERE in any of their ads where they brag about reimbursing 90% do they mention EXCEPT for puppies under one year!!! Do yourself a favor and read the TONS of negative reviews all over the internet on Nationwide and go with another insurance company!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Do not waste your money. They consider every office visit regardless of an injury or problem an exam. In other words, they 9 key pay for two exams a year regardless of whether your animal has something they need to look at that has NOTHING to do with a physical exam. Nationwide treats taking the temperature a physical exam if you bring your animal anything and everything. PI was good. Nationwide is the worst. We’ll be looking at other per insurance company for our two otherwise healthy cats. The dog, unfortunately needs to stay because when we adopted her she came with kidney disease and we can’t pm after three years, switch her.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I made the mistake of switching pet insurance coverage for my frenchie on the word of a coworker. I made the switch to Nationwide and have regretted it ever since. They will find any and every loophole possible so they won't have to be responsible to pay a dime. My frenchie has 2 luxating patellas that first we were told we have to wait until April then he will be covered... so we have him in PT and he is on nerve medicine... none of which they will pay for even though this will make him stronger for surgery. Now they say they will not pay for it as in 2 reports vets have made comments that he is obese! The poor boy weighs 26 lbs and although they recommend most frenchies to weigh 18-22 lbs this cannot be the case for my boy... his parents are not petite frenchies. I've had so much anxiety dealing with this company that my own doctor put me on meds! Beware!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I had a pet insurance policy with Healthy Paws that I was very happy with. My company offered payroll the duction for health insurance through Nationwide for my pets which also included a WellCare policy. I thought great. Wrong. I had to obtain an attorney to get payment for my pet's cancer to be covered. I asked the agent prior to changing insurance policies if my pet‘s Pre-existing cancer would be covered. I was told as long as my pet have been cancer free for one full year it would be not considered pre-existing. They asked for my pets records for one year. My vet said them for the past six years of which two years prior she been treated for cancer. She’s actually been cancer free for two years.

They refused to pay when she was diagnosed again with cancer. I have an attorney who wrote me a letter to them and then behold I got four checks in the mail the next week. I recently had to submit more invoices for cancer treatment which were denied again. I have my attorney sending them another letter and hope that will result in nationwide paying the fees. Shouldn’t have to hire an attorney to receive payment for things that should be covered. I highly recommend healthy paws insurance and wish that I had never left. When I do get another pet I will definitely go with the healthy paws insurance.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I signed my two cats up for Nationwide (originally VPI) about 6 years ago. I signed my dog up for Trupanion around the same time. I wanted to try out both companies to see which was better. While Trupanion has been a literal life-saver for my dog, covering 80% of surgery-related costs in the past couple years (about $10K in total; easy submission process, quick and positive decisions, and super fast payouts -- all in a matter of days), Nationwide has been a nightmare. My older cat recently had a major illness and Nationwide has denied, denied, denied. I was lucky to have an insurance specialist at the animal hospital that advocated for us, but she still only managed to get us reimbursed for a small % of the costs (about $700 of more than $2K) and it took more than a month.

The process was confusing & frustrating. I still don't understand the explanation of benefits documents that I have been provided by Nationwide and customer service is no help at all. The worst part is that we "capped out" this year, meaning any additional procedures would not be covered until next year. Even then, the payouts are capped at really low amounts.

At one point, Nationwide went ahead and changed info on one of my claims and then denied it. I showed my vet -- and he said the diagnosis they created was something specifically ruled out in the medical records I provided to them. It made no sense, and it took me many hours on the phone to fix it. Even then, I had to enlist the help of the insurance specialist to finally get to a solution.

I have since moved my younger cat to Trupanion. Unfortunately, due to age and what are now preexisting conditions, the older cat is stuck at Nationwide. Ongoing daily medications and prescription food (for the rest of his life) are not covered at all. It's clearly a waste of money, but I'm fearful to have no coverage at all if any sort of accident or another illness happens. The whole point of getting health insurance for my pets was so I wouldn't have to worry about costs when major health issues came up. With Nationwide, I worry every day how we will pay for additional procedures if my cat gets sick again. Stay away from Nationwide if you want to have real protection for your pets.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I’ve had Nationwide Pet Insurance for months now or so I thought as I provided payment, credit card for them to take the Pet Insurance fee from. My cat got sick and is going to the vet today, I called Nationwide Pet Insurance because my plan comes with the 24-hour vet helpline and they informed me I’m not covered and haven’t been since June!! They said, "But your pet does need to be seen at a vet today!" I was transferred over to their customer support to make sure my policy is still valid and they said they cancelled it and sent me notice. I checked my emails and nothing. They have my phone number, NO calls from them. They will not reinstate my policy and sadly my deductible was already met back in May!

Other companies have the same credit card on file and have been charging it up until a week ago no problem. I even asked to speak to a manager and anyone higher and they all said they cannot reinstate. My card has not been full as it’s linked to my checking that has the money in it. So now I get to fork out all the bills and not get reimbursed anything from them. What a rip off and a scam!! Nationwide is NOT ON YOUR SIDE. They are not there when I need them as my pet is sick and I expected to have insurance coverage for my cat. Any person thinking of using this Insurance should just walk over to the closest toilet and flush your money down it as it would be the same results as paying for this insurance!! I hope my review stops someone else from going through the same thing!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Before Nationwide bought them out, they used to be VPI, and their customer service was stellar! The claims processing time was stellar. They cared about you and your pet. Claims took 30 days or less. Since Nationwide purchased them, the customer service has plummeted. I have claims that are still being processed 3 MONTHS later. Reps will tell you that they’re “backed up” and will “escalate” but that won’t result in anything. The company clearly hasn’t prepared for the onslaught on new customers and instead of being proactive and training new reps in advance, they were reactive and waited to train new reps until after all the new accounts started flowing in. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS! I’m currently researching other pet insurance providers to make a switch.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

We have had Nationwide for years. We received reimbursement for our older dog who died in Jan 2017. We received all claims submitted. We recently submitted $1200 in claims for our new dog and Nationwide rejected every one of them. You might as well shred your money instead of sending it to Nationwide. Management should be wearing orange DOJ jump suits. Do not use Nationwide.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

From their response to my claim: "We will not pay for diagnosis, medical management, or surgical correction of any endocrine tumors, both benign and malignant, or endocrine hyperplasias of any kind, or associated splenectomy." This is referring to adrenal disease which is the most common long term illness to affect ferrets. If they don't cover that, then what use are they? Nationwide has proven to me over and over again that they do not care about your pet's health and only want money.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have had them through my job since Feb 2017 until 9.19.18. I submitted a claim from August (sent it to them the same day) and they just decided to deny my claim, stating that because I submitted one for an issue my pet had as well from LAST YEAR they deemed it as an on-going issue (of course, they didn't verify that with my vet). So I decided to cancel them altogether, considering I spend way more to have their fee taken out of my check, for them to have only reimbursed me $350. Do yourself a favor, get another company. Nationwide is not on your side.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

My aussie is 7 years old. She's been to the vet way more than any pet I owned so I decided to finally look into pet insurance. I've had pet insurance with Nationwide for almost a year now through my work benefits. So far I've really only had to submit a couple of claims. Unfortunately my aussie was diagnosed with IBD like a week before the waiting period expired so anything related to that (meds, additional testing, etc.) is "pre-existing". That's my fault though for not getting insurance sooner. Recently I noticed an ear infection. I took her to the vet who confirmed the ear infection & also noticed a foxtail in her foot (she had no symptoms, so that was weird). The total cost of the visit was outrageous in my opinion. Thankfully it was covered by Nationwide.

The annoying part of the claim process was that Nationwide delayed my claim decision multiple times for what seemed to be for no reason at all. The first reason was valid because they hadn't ever received my pets entire medical history (this is because I signed up through my work benefits). After I tracked all of her medical records down (we've moved a lot & been to a bunch of different vets) I thought it would be smooth, but they continued to delay. I did finally receive payment. If I remember correctly it took 2-3 months. I noticed that a lot of the negative reviews on here mention things that were not covered like dental, neuter, etc. Those are preventative procedures... it specifically states in your policy that preventative procedures are not covered. Although the claim process takes longer than I'd like, I'm still going to add my new puppy to my policy.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

They do everything they can to reject the claim. Everything is pre-existing condition. Unless it's an accident, they would not cover it. This company is worse than any home warranty companies. I will pull out all my annuities and insurance for my rental properties. Nationwide is in business to trick people and steal the premium.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I have a small breed dog, just turned three years old. No pre-existing conditions, relevant to a neuter or dental surgery!! This company would not reimburse my dog's neuter or dental surgeries. These procedures are expensive, but since I had new pet insurance through my employer with Nationwide- at an advertised 90% coverage rate, as advertised through Nationwide, I went ahead to have the procedures done! My young dog is healthy, he's young- no 'pre-existing' conditions 'relevant' to the procedures done as a rude, unprofessional customer service agent had mentioned!

Very disappointed. A total waste of money! I should have stayed with the Banfield Wellness plan, at least there I would have received a discount rate on these very expensive procedures. I ended my Nationwide coverage immediately, and went back to the Banfield Wellness plan. Nationwide does not cover expensive procedures. They use every way possible to not reimburse!! Months of waiting. Their tactics are misleading. Isn't this why good pet owners pay for health coverage for their pets?! We expect coverage for medical procedures to keep our pets healthy!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Our beloved little cat died after 20 years of mutual love and affection. For much of that time I had insurance through Nationwide and its predecessor company I assume they purchased. It seemed that every time our kitty needed the vet (not that often), Nationwide had a way to deny or greatly reduce the care to something like 20%. As an emergency doctor I have seen what bad coverage (i.e. Obamacare) has done to my patients. I have always sent in the doctor notes and added brief but complete medical justifications for my cat's care. No matter. I have had many futile discussions with "Customer Care" - it's not their fault, I am sure they are ashamed of what they have to say to deny claims. The most egregious part of this insurance scam is the limitations they place on each illness or category of illness so that if your pet is really ill, you are going to pay most all out of pocket.

Let me add again from my doctor viewpoint and as someone who was also a medical director for a healthplan, these kinds of "gotchas" in private human insurance would lead to repeated complaints to state regulators and would result in penalties and decreased business. But as we love our pets, it's difficult to cancel a policy (especially as they tell you that you have a "premium plan" that is no longer available and your beloved dog or cat is aging and how could you cancel now that you are surely going to need insurance?). I think a better alternative (if you can't find a fair plan) is to put aside money each month to self insure. In my opinion you will be far ahead over time. It would be a great idea to develop a cooperative, share plan for pet owners that could negotiate rates with veterinary practices. This is lacking now as Nationwide does not do this, they just shift cost to the pet owner and keep the premium.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

All the money that I put on that insurance out the 100% of the money they only cover 10% and they always loopholes. It’s a waste of money. Big name for nothing & if you cancel the insurance that doesn’t work. They keep the money. So yes, might as well just burn money. “Miss we only cover this vaccines, not those”. Hey, I need my cat to get his teeth cleaned. - "Miss the insurance only covers if the cat need dental surgery but we can only cover if the teeth need to be extracted". What? So my cat has to be in severe pain and about to lose his teeth in order for the insurance to cover only 25% and then I have to pay out of pocket??! This insurance is a scam. Worst experience ever. I regret the moment I decided to get this insurance. Banfield Hospital has a better insurance and they cover everything and it’s cheaper and it’s a PET HOSPITAL. This insurance company is a scam and so many loopholes...

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

It's amazing the games Nationwide Pet Insurance intentionally plays NOT to reimburse. They're a typical insurance company. When they deny a claim, they purposely provide vague, confusing denial codes. After I've spent an enormous amount of time with company representatives they'll eventually come clean with me why my claims have been either denied or reimbursed so little. When they finally tell me what they need, I'll resubmit the claim with the missing information and may, if lucky, get a small reimbursement back on the re-submission. It's ridiculous the amount of time I've spent advocating for myself and my dog with this organization.

They are banking on customers just throwing their arms up in the air and giving up because most of us simply don't have the time to call company representatives and hash through all this minutia for a few bucks. Additionally, you'll learn once your animal is sick, they have incredibly low limits on what they pay per condition. Bottom line: The reimbursements I have received from Nationwide are a mere FRACTION of the cost of the premiums this company has received from me. It would have been less expensive for me to pay out of pocket without Nationwide. I'll never use them again. Look at the reviews. It's no wonder why Nationwide Pet Insurance has so few stars.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

This company is horrible, they are scam artists, they lie to get you to sign up and then after that it's all BS! I got pet insurance for my dogs because I wanted to get him neutered and I saw that they covered this in their plan. It cost me 265 to get the policy started and 135 a month! It just so happened that I had his surgery the same day the policy started, which shouldn't matter because this is what my money paid for! After the surgery I sent in the claim form from his procedure which was 7/29/18. He had a lump in his testicles that I just wanted checked to make sure it wasn't cancer (which it wasn't thank God) so they sent that to get biopsied. The bill came to 705.00. 8/10/18 I took him to get his staples out. They were hurting him so they sedated him to remove them and I also got him updated on his shots. So that bill came to 120.00 which was also submitted.

But on 8/1/18 I called to see if they received the paperwork and that's when they told me then wanted medical records so that was sent in from the vet 8/2/18. It is now 9/4/18 and apparently they are still being reviewed like what how?! Just give me what you owe me! I have the whole pet with wellness plan 100.00 deductible so I'm not understanding! Someone told me not to go with these clowns and I should of listened! I guess only their car insurance is the only legit thing this company represents. Please don't waste your time with this company. You will regret it!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

A few things you should know if you are considering signing with Nationwide. They can't/ won't tell you by phone what is or is not covered before the fact. Submit your claim & take your chance. A year ago processing time was reasonable. Recently, however, there's always a reason to delay processing a claim. They need more info from the vet. They can't read what they got from the vet. They never got the claim that you submitted through the VitusVet app - resubmit it.

Wait times to call them are getting longer. Since they don't keep the claim status info on their web portal current, the only way to get status on a claim is to call. Apparently they don't have sufficient staff to maintain the website data or take customer calls. On the plus side, they are cheerful on the phone. I have friends who have their dogs insured with Nationwide. They're having the same problems or worse, so it's not just me. I've had one dog covered with them for a year, another for about 2 months. If I'd known how their service would change I would never have signed up the second dog with Nationwide.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

They pay per their own schedule and not what you actually pay the vet. Also you reach their maximum payouts very early. My chow chow had cancer. It cost me $8,000 in vet fees for her chemotherapy. The VPI plan paid me less than $3,000.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Not worth it at all. You are better off saving your monthly premiums and paying for your vet bills yourself. Or shop around. We have a senior dog and we pay $71.99 a month, x36 = $2591.64 (3 years premiums) + $1011.77 (vet bills in the last 3 years) = $3603.41! Now this insurance company has only reimbursed us a total $238.81 in the last three years!!! Expensive Coupons I guess! You do the math. Why do we still have them? My wife makes me keep it just in case of emergency, she thinks they will cover accidents and emergency. Lol! Keep paging through the other reviews. Complete 08/19/2017 $147.00 $0.00 09/14/2017. Complete 05/10/2017 $110.00 $99.00 Check 05/19/2017. Complete 12/20/2016 $145.24 $0.00 01/11/2017. Complete 09/28/2016 $64.00 $0.00 11/14/2016. Complete 09/14/2016 $354.53 $140.81 Check 11/14/2016. Complete 08/18/2016 $191.00 $0.00 08/24/2016.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have had this pet insurance for over 12 years. They had no problem more than doubling my premiums over the years but when my dog needed a life saving emergency surgery they covered only 20%. There is no point in having this insurance if they don’t pay when you need it most..

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

This is a terrible company! I have had this insurance for 12 years. When my pet was diagnosed with a life threatening illness, Nationwide will not pay because my vet diagnosed my dog with an ultrasound rather than a biopsy (I can't make this up). The biopsy would have killed her! Their vet completely agrees with my vet on my dog's treatment but said Nationwide was bound by the language of how to diagnose this illness. I guess treatments don't change in 12 years. This is absolutely pathetic.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Well, it started well. They had reasonable prices for our two dogs. Our first dog was on the plan for three years, and the second for two years. They both had it since birth. The first year or so, I received the claim within 2 weeks, which was great, but in the last year or so, that started being closer to a month, and most recently, they just ignored my claim altogether. I sent them an email and they told me to resubmit, and another month goes by. I send another email, and they again tell me to resubmit the claim. It was a simple claim for a required medication.

That wasn't all that was not ok. Their premium increases were more than I can fathom. Both dogs were about the same cost. When we first had our dogs, it was around $45 per dog per month. The next year it went up to $56 per dog per month which was more than a 10%, and that included a 5% discount for adding a second dog. The third year came, and the largest premium I've ever seen came. Now they claim it will cost $98 per dog per month to insure. I felt like a sucker when I renewed anyways. Since that most recent renewal, the customer service and claim efficiency really took a dive. One would think an increase of 75% would result in higher quality customer service, but that was never the case. Throughout the 3 years, the plan for the dog did not change at all.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

My dog had to go to the emergency vet and then his regular vet the next morning. I submitted both claims at the same time. Fortunately, I made copies of everything I sent in. About a month after I sent both claims in, I received a small check for the regular vet visit. The reason? Because Nationwide applied the $250 annual deductible and the check they actually wrote was only $40 over that. The other claim, for $365?? Denied, denied, denied. I resubmitted it 4 times, both via email and on paper. Finally, I just received word that they are (supposedly) putting a check in the mail. We'll see it if actually comes in. I really don't appreciate this treatment, as I've faithfully paid my premium monthly. As soon as I can, I will be cancelling this policy and starting a new one with another company. If I could have given Nationwide Pet Insurance zero stars, I would have.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Our dog had fear aggression and bit my daughter and niece; he was a threat to our kids. After thousands of dollars of behavior therapy and medication we had to euthanize our dog. Nationwide wouldn’t pay for any of the behavior medication or therapy. When I called Nationwide to let them know we had to euthanize our dog, they mentioned that was covered. I thought great, at least they will pay for that small expense. Then I received a letter wanting to have the doctor’s notes. After sending that in to the company, they sent a letter stating they were denying the claim due to not paying for treatment excluded by the policy. They wouldn’t pay for euthanasia when it would be the most humane thing to do for a dog. They will pay if it is due to a serious illness but not a serious mental illness. That is the most ridiculous, heartless policy I have heard of.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I am very disappointed with this company. I purchased this cheap policy through my employer and when I spoke with the rep it sounded like a AWESOME Deal. Easy claim processing, easy easy easy. Not so... Well let me tell you when I try to file a claim nothing, or it's not covered. I finally am so fed up I filed a complaint with my employer and HOPEFULLY they will take it off their list... I have still not received my claim money and it's been over 90 days. I have a new GSD and he is only 1 year only and have been to the Vet 3 times and this company seems to keep giving me the run around wanting more documents from me and the VET. Ridiculous and unprofessional. PLEASE don't do with this company just because it's cheap. Sometimes a good deal is not a deal. As soon as they finish with my claims I am CANCELLING ASAP. Don't do it.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This company is by far the most devious in paying out claims. I have had several instances where I had to call a supervisor for extremely low payouts for claims. This last claim was $1,200.00 for the hospitalization and euthanasia for my dog in which they cut me a check for $145. It is not worth the stress going back to them to fight yet again. Another ridiculous experience with them. Buyer beware!

Original review: July 31, 2018

If Nationwide scammed you, please see info at end of review! Trying to start a class action lawsuit, we need your story! Nationwide sentenced my baby to death! Much like the majority of these reviews, Nationwide has lied, made up their own diagnoses, delayed claims processing, ignored the diagnoses of the vet, told me the vet should call so they could explain why she is wrong, attempted to bait the vet into admitting the clinic missed diagnosing kidney failure, delayed giving me the decision to my review request even after changing her policy AGAIN, just to run out their 2nd 30 day extension and worse. Because I trusted their advertising and clearly biased reviews, my 15 month old puppy cannot be covered by any other insurance company and the expenses are skyrocketing. Don’t even consider Nationwide, even if offered by your employer. You will take years off your life fighting this unscrupulous company. They DO NOT care about your pet!

Original review: July 19, 2018

My miniature pinscher Sporty passed away from kidney failure and pancreatitis. My veterinarian and I submitted all documentation, itemized invoices etc. and they refused to pay as they stated the itemized information showed a high grade fever. They only use their specific codes and said that their organ failure/death code was a high grade fever which, of course, is not covered.

My vet has resubmitted the information they requested two more times and (of course) NW claims to have not received it. Do not purchase this insurance for your beloved animals as you are simply throwing your money away. Sporty was older so his policy was almost $1200 his last year and they don’t want to pay anything for him having kidney failure. They also have horrible customer service and threaten to hang up on you so they don’t have to deal with an unsatisfied customer. Purchase the insurance from a company that is there for you in your time of need. Not Nationwide which codes your dog's death from kidney failure as a fever so they don’t pay claim.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have a sick budgie and called in the hopes of insurance that would help cover my medical bills. Turns out that any chronic conditions are permanently excluded from coverage by their exotic pets policy, and curable conditions must be out of the animal's system for six months. What's the point of insurance if they won't even help you when your animal actually gets sick?

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information