2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.7/5 (156 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Nationwide Pet Insurance

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

Cons

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Bottom Line

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: July 17, 2020

I received a renewal notice from Nationwide Pet Insurance for the insurance policy on my dog. Last year the policy cost $771.49. The renewal rate for the renewal policy starting on September 12, 2020 is $1,292.00 – a 67% increase. I called Nationwide and complained but they said that is the rate.

Original review: June 22, 2020

My workplace offers this benefit but it is absolutely a waste, even with the discount offered to me. The only pet policy available to me did not include neutering because it is considered a "wellness procedure." And because I didn't pay an extra $70/month to cover wellness, they did not cover it. Six months of paying over $100/month for them to cover $50. It would be an infinitely better idea to go to a vet that accepts CareCredit and pay for major expenses with that. That offers six months with no interest. If I paid that instead of the cost of insurance for the neutering, I could've easily covered it within six months with CareCredit. Do not let them cheat you.

Original review: May 27, 2020

This insurance is good for office visits and shots but the reimbursement is not that good cuz it has a cap per illness. I have 2 other dogs with Healthy Paws ins. They don't pay for office visits and shots but man the reimbursement with big health problems is great. After 13 years with Nationwide (before VPI) my premium for my one dog went up $70 per month. Wth!! I say try healthy paws, I pay around $90 for my other 5 & 6 year dogs and claims are easy to process. I am so disappointed with Nationwide and the amount I will pay for my healthy 13 year old dog which is now at $200 per month.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I have been paying premiums for 12+ years on my dog. We have never needed to use the insurance thank goodness for a healthy dog. Now that she's 13 they raised monthly rate to $81 a month which I cannot afford. After all these years never doing a single claim they're going to raise it so high I can't afford it and it's right in the golden years when something could happen. We made the investment month after month. Don't get this company's insurance, you won't be able to afford premiums when your dog gets older.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Our Pet Insurance Plan was purchased from another company and that began our experience with Nationwide. As our pet became older, many of the bills submitted were refused due to preexisting conditions. For example, our dog was hospitalized for 3 nights last July with a bill close to $5,000. The hospital submitted at least 100 pages to Nationwide to substantiate the hospitalization. They paid approximately $1,000.

Another example, our dog needed a pacemaker and we were quoted a figure on the phone in the hospital. They then refused to pay a portion of the quoted figure they gave us. There have been many frustrating phone calls to supervisors on the plan to discuss refusal for payment over certain bills. At one point, I wrote the President of Nationwide Pet Insurance to express my concerns and did not receive a response. We would have switched plans but our dog was older and we no longer had the option. If you select Nationwide, be careful of the plan you select if you expect payment for bills as your pet becomes older. Dr. Catherine **

Original review: April 16, 2020

Nationwide is a bad bad customer service company! Be careful! They find all kinds of excuses not paying you. I have been with Nationwide Pet Insurance since I was a 2-month. I used major medical plan for the past 2 years. This year I turned to another plan called pet protection plan ($800/year after company discount!!!) However, my claims since then were declined. Nationwide requires me to provide past 2 years all medical records. I did, I contacted my vets and sent copies to nationwide. However, I was told those medical records’ format are not qualified.

Then I called customer care today. A lady (Brandy???) answered. My guessing is right. Nationwide forgot to link my two plans. They created a new Molly in the system and thought I am a new customer so they can try to push back my claims as preexisting conditions. However, no matter how hard I explained I am not a new customer and provided all my old plan‘ informations, she insist saying we need your medical records again. I said OK. I can definitely try to contact my vets again but I hope she can at least investigate my case a little bit?

At my request, she finally agreed to look into my old policy number. but after several seconds, she just said Nationwide called me when my old policy number was about to expire, my husband answered and told them we already transferred to a competitive company!!!! (She named a different plan as competitive company??? Excuse me???) So this was our fault, we would be treated as a new customer. I was pissed off at that time and said why not just cancel my plan? She did. She used less than 10 seconds cancelling my insurance then, (I still paid for 4 months Premium and got 0$ back).

Original review: April 14, 2020

Terrible processing and underwriting department. My experience started a little while early March. I had a call with Dee the representative to help me start my policy for my pet. I gave full disclosure with regards to all the medical concerns my pet, Ino, has went through. I received a letter on March 10,2020. Stating that they will start asking for medical records within 3 business days. I started wondering how the process was going around April 6,2020. I gave a call to ask for the status of my pet policy. They stated that they are currently waiting on one of the three hospitals I have stated to be able to pursue further review (meaning they have already received the medical records for the other two). The representative stated that it was blurry. I had wanted to get to the bottom of it because it’s been a month! No one mentioned anything that the delay had been over a month because of a blurry picture!

I asked if I could help by calling them and to have them refax it. I did just that. Then, they received it promptly which made the process go faster under the underwriting Dept. Review (I received an e-mail about it). So I thought I could breathe easy. However, my frustrations were not going to go so easily. I suddenly got an e-mail today at around 5 am stating they need further documents to review about the mass removal of my pet’s shoulder. I had told them that they had stated that those medical records was already received as stated by the other individual I had spoken to previously. I expressed my frustration that due to the whole process taking over a month with expectations that it would be quick just like my other pet insurance, I would just like to cancel the policy. The customer representative, Naomi, has stated that I cannot go further either way because the documents are still missing. This irked me even more.

As I have stated, the previous individual has stated the records were received and only one of the hospitals were being waited on. I decided to just not deal with the matter as every single complaint will be rebutted by their documentation (pointless) of saying they called the hospitals with no luck of getting anything (despite if I give a call they respond quickly). I hope they could get better customer care representatives that are able to do what they can (to exhaust their options) before bothering potential clients to do further. I work as an RN working two jobs. I rarely get time. This whole process was frustrating. If you happen to read across my review, take it to heart/mind. I’d rather not push through.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I have had this insurance company coverage and paying premiums for 11 years. Now that my dog is 11 years old, they have increased my monthly premium by $60 a month!!! When I asked why they said it was because of her age. It is terrible that they are now price gouging me now when Beatriz is getting older and probably needs her insurance more than she has before. There is no loyalty for customers, beware and really look at your options before considering a long term commitment to this company. There is no way to appeal the financial decisions they make for your beloved pet. They are forcing me to make a very hard decision. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I got this insurance through work and have an English Bulldog. They denied every claim I submitted for him in a year and looked for loopholes to not cover any of it. This is a SCAM. Do not use them! I read every experience list on this site and can say at least I dropped them before they tired to hike my premiums for having a high risk dog, but short of that I experienced every other thing on here. I have nothing good to say about them!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

We enrolled our dog in what was then VPI when our now 8 1/2 year old dog was just about eight weeks old. We had wellness and major medical coverage for her first year, and then switched to just the major medical coverage because it was more economical. Our dog has always been healthy and our claims were minimal (a couple of porcupine quills, an ear infection and other minor medical events). Because of this, we thought the coverage was good and fair. After our deductible we were reimbursed in the neighborhood of 80 percent. For the last four years, our premiums went up quite a bit, but we stayed loyal to Nationwide--thinking we were covered in the event that there was a medical crisis.

Well, here we are in the midst of a medical crisis. Our dog was diagnosed with cancer about a month ago, and as it turns out, Nationwide has not been on our side. Their major medical coverage is a benefit schedule (unless you are willing to pay for their pricey Whole Pet Wellness plan, though even that has a lot of exclusions). And the benefit schedule is both confusing and completely out of touch with the reality of what pet care costs for a major medical event. To be truly informed, you would have to translate the medical-ese of the benefit schedule and then research the cost for a whole host of medical issues. And then read all of the fine, fine print of medical exclusions (including certain kinds of cancers). The good news for us is that our dog's cancer was not included in the exclusion list.

The bad news is that the "coverage" being provided amounts to about 30 percent of the costs we have incurred for the diagnosis and treatment. Take, for example, Nationwide's allowance for diagnostic testing: It is $1600 for the policy term (not annual). To diagnose and treat our dog required two CT scans. Just one CT scan costs nearly that. (Note that the annual allowance for the CT scan is less than that.) If you needed an ultrasound and a CT scan to diagnose a condition you would have used up your entire allowance for diagnostic testing for the pet's life.

I have appealed the claims they have denied because we have used up our paltry allowance for her diagnosis, but do not expect any change. Subsequently, we have cancelled our policy for our younger dog and chosen a different insurer that has a policy that is explained in much clearer terms and offers far more comprehensive coverage for the same price. Unfortunately, we will have to stay with Nationwide for the dog who is sick.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

My lab is almost 15 years old and we started this coverage back when it was VPI pet insurance. My premium is now up to $100 per month and they cover NOTHING. We have been lucky he’s been pretty healthy so far but recently his arthritis has gotten worse leading to a few more vet visits. His last visit cost $350 and they covered $25. Ridiculous! They also cover less and less of his yearly exam each year. There is no point in paying this costly premium that covers nothing.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Absolutely awful. They love to take advantage of people. They are the typical insurance company that is out for your money. I pay for dental and they told me that because of my cat's tooth resorption they won't pay for it. I called to try and get this fixed and they were the most unhelpful people I've ever had the displeasure of talking to. I am a vet student. I know the medical side of veterinary medicine. Tooth resorption has NOTHING to do with teeth cleaning or the standard of care of taking radiographs before a cleaning. And yet that's what they told me. And, for my other cat, they tried to tell me that the bloodwork I got was "screening for a behavioral issue". What utter nonsense.

WARNING: if they say they don't cover something, like say it got called a pre-existing condition, if that something is even part of the bill they take an arbitrary amount of money from every cost on that bill EVEN IF IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION! Please do yourself and your pet a favor and don't get this insurance unless they are a young kitten or puppy with no documented health concerns.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I rescued a 3 yr old, Old English Bulldog, Stella, I purchased pet insurance through Nationwide pet insurance. Every time I take her to the vet they refused to pay any of my claims! They deem EVERYTHING as a pre-existing condition and say it's not covered. I recently submitted a claim for $450 for her annual physical, heartworm check, vaccines, etc and they refused it, claiming they don't cover vaccines. It's so frustrating! When asked why everything is considered a pre-existing condition? I was told since she is a rescue there is no way to determine what is a "new" issue. And that is how they get you! It's a racket! I cancelled her insurance immediately. No reason to pay an additional $500 for nothing!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I have had Nationwide Pet Insurance for my two beagles for 8+ years as I never wanted to make economic decisions in the event of a serious illness. Nationwide reimbursed a substantial portion when my oldest dog needed back surgery and my recently reimbursed the majority of expenses associated with my Charlie’s splenectomy, cancer and associated chemo treatments. Their website is easy to navigate and submitting claims is fast with a great response time.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

We had VPI, which was unfortunately purchased by Nationwide. Nationwide began excluding coverage and limiting amounts paid on virtually any diagnosis, so no matter what you pay in premiums you will never make up for it. Now, after paying premiums for 8 and 10 years for dogs, they just increased rates 30% and said part of that is “proprietary” information based on the age of my dogs. So, you will pay in for years to the point when your dogs need it, only to have Nationwide price you out of coverage. I have a puppy and they just paid half of an emergency $1,400 bill. Their customer service is horrid on top of this poor claim experience. Do not waste your money.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Excuse me while I vent...and sorry for the length. So I got pet insurance for Daisy when she was a puppy. I invested in coverage for EVERYTHING, because my first dog almost bankrupted me. Fortunately she has been very healthy, just the occasional ear infection, etc. The policy never covered a LOT for routine care, but with the extended "cover-all" rider that I've been paying for, I knew as she got older I'd be covered.

Well her latest surgery ran about $1500. I put in the claim with all the paperwork and waited for my check, as it was a week before Christmas. My check came right before Christmas for....ready...$230. That's right $230. I was sick to my stomach. I JUST got off the phone and they "explained" to me that when I bought the policy 10 years ago it WAS top of the line, but since then there have been many changes and I should have updated. I replied, well now my dog is 10 and changes will cost a fortune to which I was told "we won't make any changes for a 10 year old dog". Pretty much take what you get and move along. Keep in mind, I'm paying about $70/month for this insurance and I know if I cancel it, I'll get hit with some catastrophic event, God forbid. My advice to all who are looking to get pet insurance put $25-50 a month away, for emergencies and don't waste your $$ on pet insurance. #NationwideisNOTonmyside.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I had a pet that was on a policy with them for over three years. Never need a claim, paid out renewal premiums. Then one day said pet was very ill. Submitted all vet invoices, medical notes, and labs as requested. With 24 hour full claim denied as not covered. Save your money and use it for vet bills. Avoid trying to get anything from them.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I purchased the most expensive insurance plan from Nationwide through my employer. I had it for nine months when I took my cat to the vet and discovered she had a lesion that required surgery. The total amounted to $1,045. I combed through my documentation to ensure the procedures were covered under the terms of my policy. Nevertheless, the entire amount was rejected outright. I called to ask why.

I was informed that after receiving my claim, Nationwide rewrote my policy's exclusion terms, and the procedures for which I had requested reimbursement were no longer covered. I repeated this information back to the customer service representative to make sure I had heard her correctly, and she confirmed. The only way I can conceive of this being legal is thus: I filed the claim in late November, renewed my policy in mid-December, and figure they used that opportunity to rewrite my policy so anything related to that procedure no longer qualified for coverage. Legality aside, it's the most blatantly shady thing I can conceive of, and I immediately cancelled the policy. No one I know has ever had their procedures covered anyway, be it the end of the year or not. It's just predatory and not worth it. Good riddance.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

My experience with Nationwide was hands down the worst experience I've ever had with an insurance company. I purchased 2 pet insurance policies. They took over a month to take effect, the one claim I submitted (which should have been fully covered per the policy I purchased) was denied without explanation, and when I tried to log into my account to review the policies and claim documentation, the password I used to set up the account had been inexplicably invalidated.

Furthermore, there is no way to reset your password on their website. The form automatically deletes anything you enter in the required fields. Contacting customer service to restore access to my account was futile. They sent a temporary password that routed me to a page where I was required to enter my current password to reset my password, which didn't work because my current password had been inexplicably invalidated. Even after I sent them screenshots to prove that there was no way to reset the password without entering the current password, they STILL insisted that entering the current password was not required and that I was simply imagining what was in the screenshot I sent them of their own website.

After a week long battle with customer service, I finally gave up and canceled both policies over their refusal to allow me to access my own account. I prepaid for a year, which they are supposedly going to partially refund, but I am researching legal action I can take to recover the lost funds in the event that they decide to essentially steal the $1200 I spent on worthless policies and an account I couldn't use or access, because I do not expect them to actually issue the refund.

The experience I had with Nationwide left me absolutely flabbergasted and shocked that a reputable company would do something like this to a customer. Do not, under any circumstances, purchase an insurance policy from Nationwide. It does not cover anything it says it covers, and it's nothing but a colossal waste of time and money. If you want an ongoing headache, just hit yourself in the head with a baseball bat a few times a day for a few weeks instead. You'll save a ton of time and money, and the end result will still be the same. Spare yourself. Run away.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

My complaint is for bad faith actions and wrongful repudiation with respect to my insurance policy ** Nationwide Pet Insurance. To be brief here, I did file a claim in May in which I made a mistake and ultimately was sent for investigation and I withdrew the claim. I have emails from that that I can provide. I heard nothing further past July 2019. I received my renewal notice (attached) in Sept. 2019 followed by the policy declaration in Oct 2019 (attached) as I have always received it since inception of the policy in 2011. I awoke on 11/21/2019 to check status of a claim I filed and found in my "document file" on the site a "form" letter that the policy was canceled.

I immediately called Nationwide and got referred back to the investigator I left several calls that weren't returned and emails that weren't returned until the 3rd or 4th and it took another appx 5 calls to get to "Nancy" back at the CA office. (The first person at their customer advocacy department assigned case #** to the complaint.) The situation was explained. She told me I should have received a letter in Aug 2019 of cancellation which I did not receive and can find NO record of its tracking/mailing with any company. She further said, after I spoke with her for a long time, "there is no reason this could not be re-reviewed" and she was submitting it to review. I heard nothing back.

Dec 4 appx I had to call her. The first agent told me "Nancy" tried to call me the day before. There is NO record of this call on my caller ID and I am requesting records of incoming calls. Nancy said she tried to call as well. Further she informed the policy remains canceled. In fact she seemed to not have any idea what I was talking about so I don't think there was a "re-review". Again, I told her I had NO reason to think I didn't have insurance. I received my renewal notice, declaration and they took my payment from my Dad's credit card just like it has happened since 2011. Until I saw the form letter attached on 11/21/2019. Everything is also included online in my "documents" EXCEPT the mystery August letter that I never got.

To summarize this complaint, I had issue with them in July. 2019 and heard no more. Received my renewal notice 9/2019 followed by declaration 10/2019 payment was removed (it was returned). And I woke up to find the form letter 11/21/2019. Interestingly enough, I also have another dog insured with Nationwide policy ** which remains intact. One would think if something so egregious happened, it would warrant cancellation of this as well. I was NEVER offered any opportunity of an outside independent review.

In addition to the above difficulty, I had every reason to believe I had insurance. If I had not received the renewal, I would have called them in October and could have sought other coverage/appealed the issue then. This dog is 12 years old a year older that when this started. Nationwide does not take new policies after they are 10 and I believe they try to drop them or make the policy so expensive you will drop it as the gets older. Those extra lost months also created new issues for the dog that would be pre-existing and not covered by another company and the lost time also would have been time to get past any "waiting periods".

Of course the most important issue is it is fundamentally unfair to send a person their renewal notice with new premium, declaration of insurance and accept payment - only to claim to have sent you a letter that actually pre dates the renewal notice and declaration?? So you actually suddenly don't have the insurance they told you that you had on paper??

I am appalled by this and it goes beyond any fundamental fairness. As I said, I had NO reason to believe I didn't have insurance. I heard nothing after withdrawing the claim. Received renewal notice, declaration and the payment was charged. Now all of Grace's 12 years of issues are pre-existing in addition to those happening since 11/2019. This has caused an unimaginable amount of stress to me as I live alone and am disabled. These 2 dogs are my constant companions. Without insurance I cannot afford their care and to be treated this way is incredibly unfair and unacceptable. Thank you so very much in advance.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

So I had a really terrible vet who would basically vacuum your wallet by testing FOR EVERYTHING. I made a clean break, got a new vet, and decided to add pet insurance. Fast forward a year later and my cat was lethargic and not eating, so I brought my cat in as I read should be done in that situation thinking she'd be covered. Insurance claim rejected for "constipation" and "Other" based on all the previous tests being considered a preexisting condition from my lousy previous vet. "Other"? Seriously?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I pay to Nationwide over 150 monthly for the Whole Pet with Wellness with 90% reimbursement. My dog thank God is in a good health and once twice a year I take him to his vet for a normal check up like blood work or teeth cleaning BUT NATIONWIDE FIND ANY NONSENSE EXCUSE TO NOT REIMBURSE. THEY ARE GOOD ON JUST TAKING YOUR MONEY!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I would not recommend Nationwide Pet Insurance. They find any reason not to pay claims AND then add exclusions to your future renewals. I have been with Nationwide for the past 6 years (4 dogs) and have seen a drastic decrease in service and coverage in the last 2 years. I will be changing all my policies to another company. I used to recommend Nationwide to everyone, but I won't any longer!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I do not recommend purchasing pet insurance from Nationwide Insurance, which is managed by VPI as they just had a drastic rate increase and my policy went up by $46 dollars per month. Over the past 3 years my policy has increased slightly, but nothing like this. I must say that my pet's health insurance policy is higher than my own health insurance, how sad is that. The company provided no advance notice except a letter that I received after the monthly amount was deducted from my account. In speaking with a representative she stated all major policies increased due to the market and the insurance company, who regulates the policies and approved the increase. I've used this company for over 10 years and will not be using them in the future nor will I recommend to friends and family. There are other pet insurance companies in the market that offer good insurance rates so do your homework prior to purchasing.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Worst Ever!!!! Had this since Bo was 7 was old. Today he was diagnosed with bone cancer and needs his leg amputated. They will pay 950.00 of the 5,000.00 charge. But if he just had the tumor removed they’d pay 1600. Do they know they can’t just ”remove” a bone tumor. Only Rx is amputation and chemo. Soooo, would NEVER recommend these pet insurance. They are HORRIBLE!!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Do not get this insurance!!! I had it for 3 years as I have a 3 year old dog and got it when she was a puppy. I purchased Nationwide top plan and was paying $75 a month the first year then they increase me to $85 a month the second year which was not terrible. I got just charged $172 and called because thought it was a mistake however they told me cause my pet is getting older "SHES 3"!!! that they increase my policy. THEY DOUBLED IT!!! This is not a good company at all!!! Do not use them!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

9 month old puppy-recently had neuter and hernia surgery. NONE of it was covered under Nationwide even after we met deductible. I would not recommend this insurance company. It's joke. Hernia repairs aren't covered? Ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

We had Nationwide Pet Insurance and would not recommend it to anyone because after 10 years of paying $80 a month, when we needed it for our 13 year old rescue (he was 3 when we rescued him) they insisted the “Superior” plan would only pay $118 on a surgery that cost $2,100, suggesting it was because he was older than 10 he wouldn’t qualify for their better than "Superior " policies. We should have let our “Spry for an old guy”...Die!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Please do not even think to enroll your pet to this insurance company. I have been had my pets under their coverage for 5 years. Start from the beginning when they were young (health), their premium were acceptable, however when they were getting older and start to have health issues, they increased the premium like high rock (talking about difference more than 20% in a year). After the calculation including the deducible, I have to pay more than $1300 per year, but when look back to those years for coverage, I have never had any reimbursement more than what I paid. I understand my pets are getting old, but even a human health insurance would not increase that much in a year. When called, their explanation of course about my pets age and the medical plan premium went up but the benefit remain the same. This is really not an insurance, it's a SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I just a 60% rate increase on my 4 year old spayed female. I really hope their employees have gotten big raise. By the time she is old (and will really need it) I will have spent years faithfully paying my rate only to not be able to afford the premium.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information