2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

1.3/5 (423 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Nationwide Pet Insurance

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

Cons

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Bottom Line

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: June 9, 2021

This is a difficult time for me as I have just said goodbye to my canine companion Lizzy. I am still suffering from her loss as I'm sure I will be forever. The purpose of this letter is to let the public know how very professional, loving and caring the Nationwide Pet Administrators and Underwriters have been during the time Lizzy was insured by them. They were remarkable in ensuring that I was recompensed promptly for the overwhelming cost of Lizzy’s treatment. It was only because she was insured by Nationwide through their Whole Pet with Wellness Plan that I was able to pursue a course of chemotherapy treatment that would enable Lizzy to live a reasonably stable and good life for as long as possible. I cannot begin to describe how comforting it was during the roughly 6-month experience of her treatment to know that Nationwide was truly “by our side” and paying 90% of the cost of every bill generated during her treatment.

Lizzy was a 6-pound Maltese Pomeranian dog who was loved not only by myself and my partner, Maggie **, but EVERYONE who saw her during our 3-walks a day exercise program. She passed away on the 23rd of May this year after a hard-fought battle with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). In summary, if anyone who reads this is considering a pet insurance policy, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND they contract with Nationwide Pet Insurance to ensure that their beloved pet is given the regular wellness care or extensive treatment required to perpetuate his or her whole life.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I've had my German Shepherd insured through Nationwide since 2015 (when they were Veterinary Pet Insurance). The annual premium appears to be set such that, if you do for the year are wellness visits to the vet *and* you purchase the usual meds (flea, tick, heartworm), you will recover the cost of the premium -- that is, you break even for the year. That's actually a pretty good deal, because if there are any unanticipated issues, then you're likely going to be saving money.

Of course, even just to break even, you do need to file claims for all of your costs -- i.e., vet visits, pharmaceuticals, etc. -- so there's a 'time' cost, but Nationwide has really streamlined their claims process. (I just filed a claim for a ** prescription, and it took me roughly two minutes, including the time to log in and get to the claims page.) Claims are reviewed and paid very quickly -- typically within 48 hours. Customer service is pleasant and very responsive, although hold times have increased recently. Overall, I have found Nationwide pet insurance to be an excellent deal. As long that doesn't change, I will continue to insure my pets with them.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

When I decided to have my first dog, I knew I had to consider the cost of caring for him. It wasn’t just the initial check up, spading (which there are a lot of organization that will help with the cost) but the long term care I was concerned with. Being a senior on a fixed income, I knew that even the yearly check ups, getting nails clipped, heart worm medication and flea and tick protection would be costly. If there were sick visits on top of all that, my budget would never recover and I would end up in debt. I always said I would never have a pet if I couldn’t afford to care for him properly. My son told me about Nationwide Pet Ins. He had it and it reimbursed him 90% of all the expenses. Well I signed on. They reimbursed the money within a week to 10 days. It was a little stretch for me because my fixed income isn’t very high, but well worth it to have a companion. I never had to worry about taking care of him properly.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I have had them for the past six years although I’ve only had minor problems with my pet. They have always been responsive to my needs and I have no problem collecting on my insurance. Although my premiums have gone up each year it is understandable that this happens and I was warned when I signed up for the plan that this would be occurring.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I have had a pretty good experience with Nationwide Pet Insurance. Customer Service is excellent. They always have the right answer and are always willing to help. Also, whenever I have any claims, the response and action is very quick. Good experience overall!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I have one of Nationwide's most expensive and comprehensive plans which includes what they call "wellness and prevention." My dog went in for routine dental cleaning. The doctor recommended that for her particular case that she NOT be put under general anesthesia. Nationwide won't cover the procedure UNLESS I put her under anesthesia. Therefore, they only will cover this basic necessary wellness and preventative procedure if I put her at risk by making her go under anesthesia even though it goes against the doctor's recommendation. I can either pay out of pocket or put my dog at risk, those are the options Nationwide gives me. That's just WRONG. Nationwide does NOT care about our pets. Avoid at all costs please.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

So far I do not have any major complaints. There are some items I wish they covered like prescription food and teeth cleaning. They have been very prompt in resolving the claims that have been submitted.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Nationwide Insurance is a pretty good insurance. They offer average pet coverage that can be combined with homeowners insurance. I recommend that price comparison is always suggested. Nationwide do have great customer service and give great service.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Overall definitely worth it. And if something unexpected comes up we’ll be covered. Gives peace of mind. Even covers well care and prescriptions pays 90 percent 250 deductible which you can use up in one visit. Glad I did it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

It's expensive and they don't pay much of the claim submitted. Recently I had a claim for $900 and they paid about $350. It might be cheaper to be self-insured. Been thinking about dropping the insurance.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I pay for the top tier insurance for my pet. It's remarkable the reasons they come back with a denial of claims. Today I called to inquire about why a routine dental cleaning was denied. They told me it was a pre-existing condition. Hows that? How is a routine dental cleaning a pre-existing condition? I cancelled the policy and what made matters worse is that they didn't even attempt at keeping me as a customer. I would avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I have had my dog insured with Nationwide since I got him as a 6-month old puppy in 2008. Nationwide's predecessor was VPI Pet, and my vet recommended VPI Pet in 2008. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for, so the premiums were relatively reasonable in the beginning because I chose a policy that did not cover wellness visits, but did cover accidents and illnesses. The premiums have increased very substantially each year but my dog is now 12 years old, and I renewed the coverage because I felt if I would ever need it, it would be now. He recently required a costly diagnostic test for a liver disorder - I got a check for $99. Just canceled the policy for a refund of the paid-in-advance premium at least. Save your money - start a savings account and annually deposit what you would pay in premiums each year. You'll be much further ahead.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I first started with this company when I had my first dog. They were pricey then but I figured it is worth it for my dog. They reimbursed as they said they would for the most part with some sporadic random declines. When she died, we got another family pet from the shelter. She is a mixed breed medium sized dog. We were always prompt with payment/never ever missing one in all of this time. During the pandemic in Feb/March my card was cancelled because it was being used by someone other than me. There was no notification sent to me that my policy was going to be cancelled or that I had missed a payment (no email or phone call).

When I called I was transferred 12 times between reps, who were nice enough but not helpful. Then my call was dropped and never returned again. I appealed to the reps stating that I am a longtime client and NEVER missed a payment. I had two options: pay for the lapse = over $400 in a pandemic and recently having lost my job OR start a new policy for my otherwise healthy 3 year old spayed dog = $98 plus tax per month (up from $63 per month/original policy was signed at $54 per month and went up without notice). I was very upset after waisting 2 hours waiting for a supervisor only to have my call dropped - which I am sure was not on purpose (yeah right).

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I bought pet insurance for my French bulldog. Filed three claims they denied all three claims saying it was Pre-existing medical issues and my dog is less than six months. So if your dog is born with any issues you're out of luck. They will deny your claim but continue to take your money every month so after two months I canceled my pet insurance with Nationwide. They are a scam just like all other pet insurance companies always trying to find ways not to pay. So do yourself a favor. Put that 70 bucks a month in saving account and use that money to pay your own vet bills because nationwide is NO help!

Original review: July 17, 2020

I received a renewal notice from Nationwide Pet Insurance for the insurance policy on my dog. Last year the policy cost $771.49. The renewal rate for the renewal policy starting on September 12, 2020 is $1,292.00 – a 67% increase. I called Nationwide and complained but they said that is the rate.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information