2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.8/5 (247 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Nationwide Pet Insurance

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

Cons

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Bottom Line

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Have had pet insurance with them for 2 years. Submitted a total of 3 claims, all of which were denied. The first for teeth cleaning, my pup had to have 2 extractions....explanation, pre-existing condition, ok fine, but going forward these would be covered (as we were told). Took my pup in for wellness (every year visit), also had another teeth cleaning (every year). Both claims again denied. Called Nationwide...."Your insurance only covers accidental...." What??? Every conversation we have had with them, this was never stated to us. We even confirmed wellness visits would be covered. Paid them all this money for 2 years, they make their own rules. Insurance cancelled. Wish I could give them no stars.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I have one of Nationwide's most expensive and comprehensive plans which includes what they call "wellness and prevention." My dog went in for routine dental cleaning. The doctor recommended that for her particular case that she NOT be put under general anesthesia. Nationwide won't cover the procedure UNLESS I put her under anesthesia. Therefore, they only will cover this basic necessary wellness and preventative procedure if I put her at risk by making her go under anesthesia even though it goes against the doctor's recommendation. I can either pay out of pocket or put my dog at risk, those are the options Nationwide gives me. That's just WRONG. Nationwide does NOT care about our pets. Avoid at all costs please.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I've had my German Shepherd insured through Nationwide since 2015 (when they were Veterinary Pet Insurance). The annual premium appears to be set such that, if you do for the year are wellness visits to the vet *and* you purchase the usual meds (flea, tick, heartworm), you will recover the cost of the premium -- that is, you break even for the year. That's actually a pretty good deal, because if there are any unanticipated issues, then you're likely going to be saving money.

Of course, even just to break even, you do need to file claims for all of your costs -- i.e., vet visits, pharmaceuticals, etc. -- so there's a 'time' cost, but Nationwide has really streamlined their claims process. (I just filed a claim for a ** prescription, and it took me roughly two minutes, including the time to log in and get to the claims page.) Claims are reviewed and paid very quickly -- typically within 48 hours. Customer service is pleasant and very responsive, although hold times have increased recently. Overall, I have found Nationwide pet insurance to be an excellent deal. As long that doesn't change, I will continue to insure my pets with them.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

So far I do not have any major complaints. There are some items I wish they covered like prescription food and teeth cleaning. They have been very prompt in resolving the claims that have been submitted.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

When I decided to have my first dog, I knew I had to consider the cost of caring for him. It wasn’t just the initial check up, spading (which there are a lot of organization that will help with the cost) but the long term care I was concerned with. Being a senior on a fixed income, I knew that even the yearly check ups, getting nails clipped, heart worm medication and flea and tick protection would be costly. If there were sick visits on top of all that, my budget would never recover and I would end up in debt. I always said I would never have a pet if I couldn’t afford to care for him properly. My son told me about Nationwide Pet Ins. He had it and it reimbursed him 90% of all the expenses. Well I signed on. They reimbursed the money within a week to 10 days. It was a little stretch for me because my fixed income isn’t very high, but well worth it to have a companion. I never had to worry about taking care of him properly.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I have had them for the past six years although I’ve only had minor problems with my pet. They have always been responsive to my needs and I have no problem collecting on my insurance. Although my premiums have gone up each year it is understandable that this happens and I was warned when I signed up for the plan that this would be occurring.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I have had a pretty good experience with Nationwide Pet Insurance. Customer Service is excellent. They always have the right answer and are always willing to help. Also, whenever I have any claims, the response and action is very quick. Good experience overall!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Nationwide Insurance is a pretty good insurance. They offer average pet coverage that can be combined with homeowners insurance. I recommend that price comparison is always suggested. Nationwide do have great customer service and give great service.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Overall definitely worth it. And if something unexpected comes up we’ll be covered. Gives peace of mind. Even covers well care and prescriptions pays 90 percent 250 deductible which you can use up in one visit. Glad I did it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

It's expensive and they don't pay much of the claim submitted. Recently I had a claim for $900 and they paid about $350. It might be cheaper to be self-insured. Been thinking about dropping the insurance.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information