3.9/5 (476 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Nationwide Pet Insurance

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

Cons

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Bottom Line

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Resolution response: April 19, 2019

After three calls with three different reps, I got LUCKY! … the third rep actually helped and did a vet-to-vet thing where they got all the paperwork in without me having to do the leg work. She followed up every day and called me to give me a status daily.

I got full 90% reimbursement.

I upped them to 3 stars, because of the last rep but not more than 3 because of these continuing deficiencies:

1) Website says deductible is $100.. It's actually $250
    2) Still never gave me a valid reason why they wouldn't initially reimburse the wellness exam and had to wait for history.
    3) the fact that I had to go through 3 people to get some answers is ridiculous.

4) false information when you go through employer. They should disclose: Send history on January 1st so we stop scamming you out of premiums that we will not refund you if we later decide your dog has histories.

It really has been a horrible experience, but at my dog's age, I cant drop this insurance and go to another one. New dog comin next month, I'll stay away from these guys.

Literally how this experience has felt: Nationwide motto: Collect as much premium as you can, delay claims specially if they are going to decline, so you can collect more premium, Payout as least as possible.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Got it through employer. February do wellness check. Dog has heart murmur. I submit the exam. Wait and wait... At 28 days of waiting, I went ahead for EKG for heart murmur. Submitted claim for EKG too. 2 weeks later, magically both the wellness and EKG get reviewed on same day. Both require now 2 years of medical records. Well, why didnt you tell me this before I signed up? FOR EMPLOYER PROGRAMS, WE APPROVE EVERYONE AND THEN ASK FOR HISTORY ON FIRST CLAIM!!! So thanks for 3 months of payments, now we'll just turn you down.

Hey, she didn't have heart murmur before the wellness. Why won't you reimburse me for the first wellness exam? Oh well, 30 days later the EKG indicates that she had heart murmur... But you didn't know that until the second claim... Yeah, well.. Thanks for your $900 a year. We'll cover your vaccinations with our $250 deductible and try to never pay you. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM!!! EMPLOYERS SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO OFFER THIS.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have had my pet insured since 2008 with pet insurance. Nationwide Pet Insurance bills me every month and has consistently never missed adjusting my premium during renewal time. During my insured time with Nationwide, when renewal time came around, I was never informed of any new plans available that I could purchase for my pet. Nationwide has failed to notify me, their customer, of new better plans but consistently raised my premiums. Now my pet is not eligible because he has pre-existing conditions and they won’t cover him for them. My pet is now suffering because Nationwide neglected to inform me an eleven year customer of newer better plans I could have chosen to protect him.

Original review: April 5, 2019

What a scam. My company listed pet insurance as a benefit so I checked it out. There were a few options so without waiting time reading I called Nationwide to walk me through signing up online. It was simple and asked what was covered to pick the right plan. Made a claim a few months later for teeth/dental services. Cost of $863.34 for everything. Deductible was $250. Thought great I'll get something back. Not the case. NOTHING??? Called in. They said it would take 30 days ok fine. Called back they said another 30 day to review???? Fine. Called again. They said it was almost completely within 30 days I should get a response???

In the end 74 days 2 1/2 months later they said it wasn't covered under my plan???? I had chosen this under guidance of an agent and still got scammed. I paid $52 per month for 6 months and no coverage in the end, no communicate through the process unless I made the phone call in. No email. No phone calls generated from Nationwide. They sent a letter in the mail to inform they will not be covering anything. So they stole $52 a month from me under false pretenses. Nationwide is the worse company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance is the worst. They will deny anything and everything claiming it’s pre-existing. We got a new puppy and signed up for Nationwide pet insurance. Our puppy had an episode of vomiting at about 4 months old which was treated at the vet with fluids and antibiotics. Nationwide denied the claim saying we had to prove the puppy didn’t have gastritis in the prior 6 months or it was automatically considered pre-existing. It didn’t matter that the puppy was literally not born 6 months ago and was in utero.

If we couldn’t prove that the puppy hadn’t been condition-free for 6 months then it’s considered pre-existing. That amounts to the fact that they basically don’t cover anything for the first 6 months if you get a puppy or a dog from a shelter that you have no vet history on. Then to add insult to injury, the puppy got another bout of gastritis at almost one year old. Yep, you guessed it—it was pre-existing because of the first time at 6 months. So after you have any problem that is considered pre-existing, it’s considered pre-existing forever. Of course, they say you can appeal to have a pre-existing condition removed but only after the dog has been free from that condition (without medication) for 18 months. Nationwide Pet Insurance is a scam. I wouldn’t buy any product from Nationwide because of the horrible experience we have had with the pet insurance.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Been with Nationwide since before Nationwide bought VPI. OK service on small claims. Just submitted my first big claim, $1800, and got the e-mail receipt that the company received the claim. A month later, I called to check on it; they claimed they never go it. Had to resubmit and their rep said they would "expedite" it. Normal claim turnaround is 30 days. 17 days later--still no action--the "expedite" line was a lie. Very disappointed. I would have been better off never buying this crap and just putting $50 a month into a separate savings account. That is what I will do next time I get a dog. Not wasting any more money on this greedy, unresponsive company.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Nationwide is really good at collecting your $ for years. And, as soon as you need them to cover pet's expenses they disappear arguing quite easily that nothing is under coverage. Per se, they refer to articles in their policy. In summary, do not subscribe to Nationwide. It is a money machine that does not care of your pets. It would be better to save $50 per month for 13 years to cover your pet's medical expenses. Very disappointing and will NEVER will do anything with this company for any type of insurance.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I chose Nationwide Pet Insurance because of their good standing as an insurance company. They may be good with home & auto, but they're TERRIBLE with their Pet Insurance. I have been waiting for reimbursement of vet bills totaling over $2,000.00 since October 31, 2018. It's been 6 MONTHS now and I still have yet to be reimbursed. I have done everything that Nationwide has requested of me. In fact, I've sent medical records to them through email, as well as snail mail, and my vet has also sent them my dog's medical records. I've even been understanding when they told me they needed an additional 30 days to review my dog's records.

After hearing nothing from them for the 30 days, I called for the 6th time to see what the problem is now. My dog's information is still "in review" according to the person on the phone. And she has no idea when they'll get around to reimburse me. I will NEVER USE A NATIONWIDE PRODUCT. I paid for all of my dog's medical insurance up front and this is the thanks I get?! Never Again! I wouldn't even give 1 star for Nationwide Pet Insurance. IT'S A BIG SHAM!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I originally started with VPI over 11 years ago when I first adopted my dog. They were, in my opinion, a fair company. A few years ago, VPI became Nationwide and I kept them thinking I would get the same customer service. That was a HUGE mistake. I paid over $100 a month (for one pet) over the course of 11 years. That’s over $13,200. My dog recently passed in November from leptospirosis complications and was in the hospital for a week and a half. The total bill came to almost $21,000 and Nationwide has so generously reimbursed me a whopping $3,000. I say that last part with pure sarcasm. I would have been better off, as others have stated, putting the money into a savings account each month. In speaking with someone at the veterinary hospital back in November, they even said Nationwide is among the worst with pet insurance. Please, stay away from this company!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I filed a complaint with my state business department, but you should avoid this insurance company at all costs. They delayed my claim for over 3 months before denying it based on ‘pre-existing conditions.’ Which is BS. My healthy 4-year-Old cat needed her teeth cleaned. The vet claimed there could be a chance they would need to pull teeth, but they wouldn’t know prior to cleaning. They ended up pulling three teeth but Nationwide denied entire claim stating the need for a cleaning was a pre-existing condition to teeth being pulled. Explain how that makes any sense. Teeth cleaning is basic care.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Pet insurance in general is known to be a gamble, but Nationwide has perfected the claim denial game. I am a physician, so I know a thing or two about medicine and can speak the language. Our Boston came to us with diarrhea when he was about two years old. At age 6, he went through a spell of not eating and lost some weight. He never got a formal diagnosis from the vet, and eventually just started eating normally again. We filed a claim and it was denied due to "pre-existing condition."

They said his anorexia was the SAME as his diarrhea years earlier. Then they went so far as to provide a long list of vague and general "diagnoses" that they would never cover in his lifetime. I repeatedly asked them for medical evidence to support their assertions that his transient condition had anything to do with the long list of "conditions" they were refusing to cover in the future. Needless to say, we've cancelled our policy and are giving another company a try.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Do not use this plan. My husband and I are new pet owners and we take most of the responsibility for not doing enough research or simply reading the reviews sent here. We have been paying $35 a month for our Major Medical plan plus the initial $60 plus to sign-up fees. Unfortunately, we didn't consider the fact that coverage for surgery does not kick it until we've been with the plan for 1 year. Our 7-month old English bulldog desperately needed an operation which cost $950. Because we are in the first 6 months of our policy it is not covered, but after reading further into our policy it says it will not cover more than $550 in the life of the term. $550 is NO MONEY at all for pet procedures. Cancelling immediately, keep looking, because this is not what you want.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I have had health insurance since my dogs were puppies. It started off as VPI then became Nationwide. My English Bulldog Claude recently became ill by aspirating a toxic bacteria. He has to spend 10 days in the ICU on oxygen therapy and various antibiotics. The vet was optimistic he would recover. On the 10th day he took a turn for the worse and passed away. The bills totaled $14,000 and Nationwide paid out $740. I was scammed and duped into paying my $54 a month premium for absolutely NOTHING! This insurance is a total scam. After 5 attempts to have the claim reviewed Nationwide flat out denied everything! CONSUMERS BEWARE.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I recently switched from Trupanion to Nationwide Pet Insurance because the Nationwide plan offered coverage for the vet visits, dental and wellness visits. Since switching to this company I have made two claims both in November. They requested more documentation in December which was sent over by the vet. It is now February and they still have not responded to the claim and told me it is under review. They have 90 days to make a decision. With Trupanion they answered the claims within several weeks and I am very disappointed with myself for changing.

Nationwide is also a lot more costly and for the extra amount of money they should be providing better service. I am planning on switching back and canceling this plan which has been nothing but a hassle. Taking care of a pet can be expensive and stressful both of which has been exacerbated with this company. I would really think twice if picking them as an insurance carrier for your pet. There are much better companies which provide more ease of filing claims, reimbursement and better customer service!!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I canceled my policy after 1 year. I purchased this policy for my Mini-Schnauzer who was a puppy (3 months old) and when she was 4 months, she had gastroenteritis and they deny my claim as they considered a "pre-existing condition". How can a 3 month puppy have a "pre-existing" condition? I spoke to many representatives and even supervisors for MONTHS until they finally said that they were not paying the cost of $180.00

I also had other claims and with Nationwide Pet insurance you have to fax or mail your claim form which is inconvenient in the age of email. Processing is very slow compared to others - up to 6 weeks (even longer at times). I had to constantly call them to follow up on my claims and get my money back. Overall my experience with them was horrible and that's why I canceled my policy.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I had another dog who I had insured with VPI, which nationwide has now taken over. I had a very positive experience with it, so when I got 2 new pups a few years later, I decided to go with them again. I’ve had the plan for the past couple of years. The premiums have inched up a few dollars per year, and were now approximately $80 each per month per dog. I had the 90% plan with $250 deductible per year per dog. The money was deducted automatically monthly from a credit card.

I sent in a minimal claim for both dogs for a visit a few months ago. I had been waiting for the reimbursement check. Finally, after a long time, I got a letter stating that they needed a diagnosis... It was just for a check-up. There was no diagnosis... And they said I needed to send paperwork from the vet, which I had already done.

Now, a few days ago, I get a letter telling me my cc payment didn’t go through. So, I call them and begin the update. I ask the rep what’s going on with the 2 claims I sent. She informs me that one of my dogs wouldn’t be reimbursed anything because his policy lapses in June!!! What??? I said, "How can that be when you automatically hit my card for both dogs every month??" She says they sent me a letter informing me about it in June... Nope!!!! No, no, no!!! They did not! She looks back in her records and says she sees I called in June to update payment for the policies. And, oh! The rep never updated for one of the dogs!!!

I was furious!! She apologizes and says I can bring the policy up to date by paying $560!!! I said, "Why should I pay that when he wasn’t even covered. If I had gone to the vet, would you still allow that to happen, and pay??" All she does is apologize and keep telling me I’d need to pay. I got a supervisor on the phone, and she did the same.

I ended up canceling BOTH policies. All in all, I’m not so sure it’s such a great deal. I was paying almost $2000/year plus 10% of anything I had done. Hmmmm??? A person who made the suggestion in an earlier post to put aside the money every month into a separate account may be on to something. That’s exactly what I plan to do. Nationwide was definitely not on my side. :(

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have had pet insurance on my Maltese since he was a puppy. He is now 14 and was diagnosed with diabetes and has been in the hospital for 3 days now to get his sugar levels under control. The bill came out to 4,000 so far and may climb. I spoke with someone from Nationwide Pet Insurance about my claim that I submitted and they told me that because my dog is now 14 that the wellness package does not apply to him anymore. I NEVER RECEIVED ANYTHING IN THE MAIL SAYING, "HEY, YOUR DOG IS NOW 10, CONSIDER SOME OF OUR OTHER POLICIES FOR SENIOR DOGS"! Also, they told me that diabetes is a pre-existing condition. He was just diagnosed, how could it be pre-existing? I am highly upset and want to speak with someone higher up because I have been paying $88 a month for the last 14 years and now that me and my dog need help we are being denied.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I had Nationwide Pet Insurance for 12 years. The pet insurance market has changed over this time with the entrance of other choices in this market. I have had experience with others that offered much better coverage. Nationwide Pet insurance: you have to fax or mail your claim form which is inconvenient in the age of email. Processing is very slow compared to others - up to 6 weeks. There is a $50 deductible for every claim no matter the total amount submitted. If you have 8 claims that would be a total $400. I paid $75 mo for my senior dog or $900 per year. 2018 I submitted $3600 in bills received $1100 or 30% reimbursements. Bottom line - it's not worth it when you do the math. Do your research before purchasing pet insurance. There are many choices that are far better than Nationwide.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Nationwide sales representatives assured me they would cover my teeth cleaning, then they stuck me with the $1400 bill after I paid for the policy. They spent FIVE months before denying the coverage, while continuing to collect premiums. They claimed a condition was preexisting because it occurred on 2/17/18 and 4/14/18 "which are prior to the Policy Effective Date of 2/5/18". YES, YOU READ THAT RIGHT, they claimed 2/17/18 and 4/14/18 are BEFORE 2/5/18. I have had to file review requests because they took the position that heartworm medication is not covered because my dog has a heart and therefore it is preexisting. I have also had to file review requests because they won't cover his flea & tick medicine, because my dog has fur and it is therefore preexisting. The only way to get coverage from this company is to hire an attorney.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance has been a life saver for my dog who was diagnosed at the age of 4 with lymphoma. They have paid 90% of every claim submitted in a timely manner. I see many complaints written because people did not read and research the coverage options and choose wisely. This company is very transparent with any exclusions for each pet. Customer service is readily available and always helpful. I highly recommend the whole pet with wellness coverage which pays a percentage for actual costs incurred. THANK YOU NATIONWIDE!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

This company denied our claim for our pet's teeth cleaning because the tartar was "pre-existing!" Nevermind that all tartar is "pre-existing", that's why it needs to be cleaned. They also require you to send in a ton of excessive medical records (basically, your claim is not only denied, but you're doing their work for them, too)! They will look for any excuse to avoid paying a claim and the problem is, you have no recourse because these companies are not regulated. Forget pet insurance and don't sign up just because it is offered by your employer. This company is a scam.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I signed up for pet insurance back in March 2018. The monthly rate was $41 for Nationwide's top tier plan. I was very happy with this rate as one could imagine. I submitted three claims which were reimbursed within a month. Then I receive an email informing me that monthly rates would be going up. As with everything else in life I figured this would happen, though I thought it was odd that the new rate was not quoted in this letter. I went online to see how much my new monthly rate would be.

I was absolutely floored when I saw that my new rate was $98! I called and was informed that there was a rate increase across the board and did I need to speak to someone about another plan to lower the cost. No I don't. This company is a scam and I will tell you how. I had a friend get a quote for the exact parameters as when I enrolled last year. Guess what? The price quoted was $55 a month. The Nationwide rep could not explain this disparity and was referred to another department to speak about lowering my costs with a policy that offered less. Meanwhile I would still be paying more. Absolutely a bait and switch scam. Don't go with Nationwide.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

My employer offered pet insurance through Nationwide, and with automatic payroll deduction it seemed like a good fit until I filed my first claim for my 9 year old dog. After a couple weeks of hearing nothing, they sent a request of all past medical records, which I painstakingly obtained and submitted (and I get that -- they need to know this info). But I had several more visits to the vet and submitted claims for each one, but heard nothing for weeks.

After almost 3 months of inaction I contacted them to find out what was going on. I was told it was still being processed and to wait for the response which was coming soon. Well their response came, with denials on every claim I had submitted due to a pre-existing condition (that's their policy -- but what good is it then?). 3 months, over $1700 in claims and zero in payout, but one thing was certain, they wasted no time taking my money. DON'T USE NATIONWIDE -- THE ONLY SIDE THEY ARE ON IS THEIR OWN!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

We got their major medical with wellness rider for our puppy because that’s all they allow for puppies. They said he would be eligible for whole pet with wellness when he was a year old. So when his first policy was about to be renewed I started the process of trying to upgrade him. It has been a nightmare! First off they didn't tell me what I needed to provide them with. They never called me to tell me what the status was or that he was denied or that I had to prove he was over his infection before being approved. They never told me the Vet office didn't send in the records. NOTHING!

Also you can't upgrade their policy at any time. You can only do it at renewal. So by that time it was too late and I had not been given any information. It had also been noted that they were suppose to call me with updates but never did. Now we have to wait until next year to try again. It has just been a nightmare and it's not worth the hassle especially when there are other companies out there offering just as good insurance at a cheaper price.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Very rarely use my Superior Plan (cost: $75 per month). I've had it for about 10 years. I was paid $183.80 for a $1370.32 vet bill. I've paid more than $6000 dollars to this company and have not in total collected ever near $2000. You should NEVER get pet insurance... Just put $50 per month into an account and use this... You will be much better off... And you don't have to deal with a company to get paid.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance) started pet insurance at least over 15 years ago and was maybe the first, or one of the first Pet insurance companies. Sadly that is the only positive. Gather from all the customer complaints they went under and Nationwide stepped in to swoop in the brand and hide it under their well known name (It would only appear). I had Nationwide and after bought the policy paperwork came in with what do you know VPI written on it. Very sneaky--bait and switch!!

VPI is horrible so I recently dumped them for the same reasons everyone else is complaining about--Claim timing and excuses. Snail speed processing, coverage avoidance and more. This company continues to hide behind excuses and utter false reasoning for delays. I have had Heathy Paws with a deceased pet and NEVER NEVER had such hold ups, which is why I cancelled this Nationwide (VPI) weeks back and went to Healthy Paws for my new pet. Please be smart and do your research as people speak and the web knows.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Their claims department is a complete joke, over 30 days and still processing my claim. I would never recommend anyone waste their money... Rip off artist. I have emailed and called to no avail. Once my claims are processed I am out.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Updated 04/18/2019: I have contacted the attorney generals office in Pennsylvania and if anyone else living in pa would like to contact me I can help you get something done about your issues with nationwide pet insurance. Please email me at beverlylusso@gmail.com or you can contact kristal ferron at kferron@attorneygeneral.gov You must however live in Pennsylvania.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Long story short. I recently had over $3000 in vet bills for a 4 month old German Shepherd puppy. After requiring all vet records, I was only reimbursed $208 due to what they titled a "pretty existing condition". Nationwide is a waste of your money.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We have a rescue Westie. I purchased the top of the line insurance from Nationwide with the $100.00 deductable. Our first claim went well, however the second and third claims submitted 9/13/2018 and 9/17/18 are still outstanding. They denied the claims on 10/12/18 and asked for medical records which we submitted on 10/20/18 using the information, fax number, they provided. They processed them as a duplicate claim until I called and asked them to confirm receipt of the records. These two claims contain medicine and prescription dog food required by our vet for our dog's gastro issues. The policy says this is covered.

Just called again today 11/26/2018 and spoke with Rebecca and was told that the two claims are still in underwriting under review. I have two other claims also waiting for processing for spaying and skin/allergy issues which were submitted in October and November. I am waiting to see the outcome of these additional claims before cancelling my policy. This policy was recommended by a friend who had very good results with Nationwide. I would never recommend this company to anybody.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have had one of our Bulldogs insurance for almost 14 years when Nationwide was VPI. Ever since Nationwide bought out VPI the service, paying of claims and customer care is a joke. We recently added our Bulldog puppy to the insurance because of the discount I get through my employer and that was my first mistake. Everything is a pre-existing condition, they do this so they don't have to pay any claims. I have submitted around $800 in claims and Nationwide has paid $57.69. WOW, what a joke.

They have people answering the phone that know nothing and you are not "ALLOWED" to speak to anyone else. Sounds fishy to me that you can't talk to someone that actually handles the claims. AND it takes over a month to get paid on a claim or denied on a claim. I have another bulldog and a cat insured with Nationwide and I will NEVER use them again. PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY AND USE A REPUTABLE COMPANY. Nationwide Pet Insurance is a ripoff and a joke.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information