2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.8/5 (247 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Nationwide Pet Insurance

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

Cons

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Bottom Line

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

9 month old puppy-recently had neuter and hernia surgery. NONE of it was covered under Nationwide even after we met deductible. I would not recommend this insurance company. It's joke. Hernia repairs aren't covered? Ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

We had Nationwide Pet Insurance and would not recommend it to anyone because after 10 years of paying $80 a month, when we needed it for our 13 year old rescue (he was 3 when we rescued him) they insisted the “Superior” plan would only pay $118 on a surgery that cost $2,100, suggesting it was because he was older than 10 he wouldn’t qualify for their better than "Superior " policies. We should have let our “Spry for an old guy”...Die!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Please do not even think to enroll your pet to this insurance company. I have been had my pets under their coverage for 5 years. Start from the beginning when they were young (health), their premium were acceptable, however when they were getting older and start to have health issues, they increased the premium like high rock (talking about difference more than 20% in a year). After the calculation including the deducible, I have to pay more than $1300 per year, but when look back to those years for coverage, I have never had any reimbursement more than what I paid. I understand my pets are getting old, but even a human health insurance would not increase that much in a year. When called, their explanation of course about my pets age and the medical plan premium went up but the benefit remain the same. This is really not an insurance, it's a SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I just a 60% rate increase on my 4 year old spayed female. I really hope their employees have gotten big raise. By the time she is old (and will really need it) I will have spent years faithfully paying my rate only to not be able to afford the premium.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I purchased insurance from these con artists through work a few months ago. One of our cats recently had a UTI and needed emergency treatment as he couldn't walk. Nationwide have decided not to pay for spurious reasons and left us with a bill of nearly $10k. Do not use these utter criminals.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I submitted a $2,554 emergency room visit for my dog and they reimbursed $110!!!! As my dog aged, I reluctantly kept the insurance knowing there would be rising medical costs. Nationwide has reimbursed me A FRACTION of what my medical costs have been. On top of the high annual premiums, I have lost my shirt on this company. They are out to make money finding EVERY loophole they can NOT TO PAY. I have spent HOURS working with them to get reimbursed more fairly within the guidelines of their contract. It is shocking how skilled they are at NOT PAYING. RUN FROM Nationwide Pet Insurance! They are a total RIP OFF!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

This insurance was being offered by my company as an optional benefit so I signed up. Nationwide offers a wellness plan in addition to their regular accident insurance which was the main reason I signed up. The wellness plan reimbursed teeth cleanings, which my vet recommended. I submitted my paperwork at the beginning of September. Nationwide denied my claim within a few weeks, saying they did not receive Piper’s medical records. My vet sent them over twice. They received them the second time (where I was coped). The claim was taking a while to review.

I called Nationwide 3 times and they informed me that claims can take up until 30 days to review. The third time I called, I was told that Nationwide had an influx of claims and would require another 30 days to review. I raised the issue to a manager who was able to get the claim reviewed the next day. The entire claim was denied due to a pre-existing condition. My dog has never had an issue with her teeth but because my vet made the recommendation for a cleaning, Nationwide deemed that as a pre-existing condition. I cancelled my policy immediately. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

This company is horrible. They took a comment out of context from the vet in order to flag the whole claim as a preexisting condition. Over $5k they owed us and of course they do something shady to screw us over. I had heard only bad things about them and should have listened. RUN FAR AWAY.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

This company is a complete scam, please DO NOT purchase anything from them. Had a policy for one year. Filed 3 claims and all three were denied even though they were within the so called guidelines. They always claim the reason for denial is pre-existing conditions such as a "Skin Tag" and "Dental Tartar" to name a couple. They will always find a reason not to pay whether legit or not. This business engages in questionable business practices and you will be better off not dealing with them.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

This insurer engages in marketing practices that make it seem you will be covered for a variety of illnesses and injuries. After paying for 9 years, I made my first claim for a fractured tooth requiring extraction complicated by infection. The claim was denied despite being on their schedule of covered conditions. Why? Because his medical record from 1 year prior indicated "presence of tartar" on dental exam, despite regular cleanings. Deeming it "pre-exisiting" was their reason and was definitely not. This company will seek every excuse possible not to pay on claims. I would strongly suggest that pet owners seek alternative insurance options.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

My prior years of using the insurance for my dog Trooper were phenomenal! I’d submit the claim and unless needing more information, they covered exactly what they said they would. I understood the premiums would go up each year. It started off as $6 one year, a few dollars more the next but then the 2018 year it went up over $20. I figured because we were using it more that that was indeed the reason. So I called and was told that’s not the case and they confirmed that they never raise the premiums based on how many claims you submit to them each year. So I coughed it up to an increase for everyone across the board. 2018 was a tough year for trooper as he was in and out of the vets office for a lot of medical needs so there were a lot of claims submitted. Happy again that they were all paid but when I got my renewal notice for the upcoming year it went to almost $50 more a year. That is absolutely ridiculous.

So tell me why if it’s not based on the amount of claims why it increased? Completely dissatisfied with his insurance and if it wasn’t for his medical needs I would leave in a heartbeat because they do nothing but price gouge their customers and they know people will pay for it because they need it. For that reason alone, I would not recommend them to any of our friends and family and I’ll be sure to put in more claims to make it worth my wild because I’m sure they will just continue to raise it again. My dog is only 5 years old. We started out only paying $68 a month. The renewal for the upcoming year is quoted at $145. The plan doubled in almost 5 years and mostly from the last two years. When it was VPI this never happened. Get bought out by a national insurance company and sure enough just like the rest are greedy, price gouging criminals and they know it and they don’t care one bit!

Steer away from this insurance company because one way or another, they will find a way to make their money back from you and they will continue to lie to your face when they tell you that they don’t raise premiums based on the amount of claims you submit. That is simply a lie and should be considered FALSE ADVERTISEMENT OF THEIR INSURANCE PLAN!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

First had issues signing up for Pet Insurance. Thought it was all set and then got notice of cancellation and had to start 30 day process all over again. First claim submitted was no problem and paid promptly. Had not yet met deductible and no payout so not paid for. Okay no problem. Last month had to do a biopsy on dog’s snout and was a little more pricey plus deductible met but 22 days later and after submitting medical records not a thing yet. No proof other than their word that it is in review. All I have looking at website is the processing complete on website which was prior to medical records. Payments come out of my work paycheck every month. And I know for a fact that there is nothing about biopsy that was pre existing.

On one of my phone calls I was consistently yelled at and talked over by a rep. I am in customer service myself and if I were to demean a customer I would be having a big discussion with my supervisor. I am only going to give this a couple more months to be reimbursed because again no preexisting. In meantime I will begin looking elsewhere. Nationwide is not on your side.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

This insurance was good while the dogs were young, but they have just about doubled their fees in JUST ONE YEAR. I have 4 dogs and a cat with their insurance as well! One dog went from $1000/year to $1500; the other went from $1500/year to $2500! Nothing has increased the much in one year. They cannot even accommodate me with making bi-annual payments! Then they limit the amount of vet visits, the amount that can be spent on their mouth, the amount on allergy coverage that I have spent out of pocket as much as I paid them. It doesn't pay.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

As a veterinarian, I know how expensive pet emergencies can be and did not want to be left in a terrible dilemma should my 9month old puppy become sick, eat something she shouldn’t have or hurt herself. I recommend pet insurance to all my new puppy owners just for these reasons. Unfortunately my puppy tragically passed away in a hiking accident when out with my partner just one day after her insurance kicked in. Unfortunately her injury took her instantly and there was nothing we could do. I called Nationwide to cancel my policy which was very easy and they were very compassionate. About a week later we found our silver lining pup and so I got insurance once again.

I just received a letter today expressing their condolences on the lost of our first puppy and they informed me they were refunding me for the premium. I was so surprised but it really helped lift the financial burden I found myself in after putting in $394 for our puppy who tragically passed. I was not expecting this refund nor did I ask for it. Thank you Nationwide for understanding the human animal bond and understanding that unfortunate accidents happen and providing me with a little financial relief during this hard time.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

New to Nationwide's pet coverage but thus far underwhelmed. For starters, if you opt to get the upper tier coverage which "includes" wellness exam coverage... just know your deductible must be met first. For me, the $250 deductible is double what my vet actually charges for wellness exams/shots etc and with the increased monthly cost of the plan...what's the point? My previous pet insurance covered routine wellness checks 100% while any acute illness fell into the % coverage guidelines. Upon realizing their "wellness" option was not cost effective, I realized I signed a year long contract that won't allow for changes. Granted, that's my oversight. On the plus side, I received very quick response(s) to my questions although they were canned answers with no effort or personalization.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Having been a loyal customer for over 14 years with Nationwide Pet Insurance for our previous dog (we had to put her down 2 years ago) and a year and half ago, bought a new policy for our son's dog, Penny, I expected better than this treatment from Nationwide Pet Insurance. I called today to inquire for a new puppy for my son's friend. While providing me a quote for the new puppy, the sales person, Tenaka inquired about Penny and continuously harassed me about where Penny lives. I repeatedly told her that I have spoken to two other agents when I bought the policy that Penny lives in Charleston but I will be paying for the policy with my Texas address. No one asked me about my son's address at that time.

I was assured by the two previous agents that the policy is active and that Penny living in another state has no bearing to the policy. However, Tenaka continued to threatened me that I need to do a transfer of ownership and if not, my policy will not be updated. I will be looking at other pet insurance. Will not recommend Nationwide Pet Insurance. I don't need the harassment.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance is an absolute scam! They will do everything they can not to reimburse you. DO NOT buy pet insurance through them!!! Their customer service is horrible and it takes them forever to respond to you!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Like a lot of other reviewers I was a customer of VPI before it was bought by Nationwide. I have 41 years experience in commercial insurance and never worked for a company that operated like Nationwide Pet Insurance does. I used the term "Bad Faith" in my title because that is an insurance industry term that is defined as follows:

"Bad faith insurance refers to an insurer’s attempt to renege on its obligations to its clients, either through refusal to pay a policyholder’s legitimate claim or investigate and process a policyholder’s claim within a reasonable period. Insurance companies act in bad faith when they misrepresent an insurance contract’s language to the policyholder to avoid paying a claim. They also act in bad faith when they fail to disclose policy limitations and exclusions to policyholders before they purchase a policy, or when they make unreasonable demands on the policyholder to prove a covered loss. There are many ways in which an insurance company may act in bad faith. If a policyholder suspects bad faith, they should confront their insurance company or consult a lawyer."

While I don't think many people would bother consulting a lawyer and just opt for cancellation, from the reviews that I read and my own experience with my pet's policy it is obvious that Nationwide could be guilty of this. They routinely deny claims in the Explanation of Benefits (EOB) when a valid claim is submitted. For example I submitted a claim for purchase of Heart-worm medication. It was $59 for a six (6) month supply and the Vets bill clearly indicated that was for two packages, or a one year supply. The EOB came back paying for one package (although not at full price) with a denial for the second package with an EOB that stated "The Total Annual Benefits have been paid for this routine care item or service for this policy term" (Z161.)

The problem was two fold: 1) They hadn't paid previously for the policy year and 2) they listed it as Flea and Tick medication which clearly it was not. I have numerous examples of them applying their "catch all" Z161 application to avoid paying for the annual cost of Flea and Tick medication. My dog needed $1,635 worth of surgery for removal of a tumor in her anal sac. The Vet provided a very thorough, itemized (19 items) breakdown of the costs. The EOB came back and had the costs lumped into 3 categories and only paid $549!

I could go on and on but all one has to do is read the other reviews to understand that this is not the place to buy pet insurance. Premiums go up drastically, claims payments are minimal and there is often mistakes on their part which results in having to make phone calls in order to get satisfaction. As my dog is 12 1/2 she is too old to switch policies. I am going to do more online research to determine if anyone has thought of or already started a class action suit against this company. There has to be a law firm out there somewhere that would take this case on a contingency!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I got Nationwide pet insurance after they explicitly stated, both in their advertisements and through the salesman on the phone, that teeth cleaning was covered in their insurance policy. After getting this insurance, I got my cat's teeth cleaned, knowing that I was covered. After paying the approximately $1000 in charges for the cleaning (putting them under, cleaning, x-rays, etc), Nationwide first took a VERY long time to review a simple teeth cleaning procedure, then 100% DENIED my claim, stating that dental tartar was a pre-existing condition. Seriously, under what circumstances would you NOT find dental tartar in a teeth cleaning? Isn't that the POINT of getting a teeth cleaning, to remove dental tartar? Obviously Nationwide is misleading and scamming unsuspecting customers. I cancelled today after finding this website and reading the reviews. Wish I had found this site before signing up!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I have been a loyal customer to VPI (bought out by Nationwide) for over 10 years. So imagine my dismay when I received a renewal notice indicating Nationwide would be doubling my annual premium for my dogs. One of the policies went from costing $66 to $125 a month! I would look elsewhere for a pet insurance provider. I certainly will.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

This was the first time I bought pet insurance through an employer, and based on the information they gave me upfront I thought it was going to be worth it. Do not be fooled like I was, this company does everything in its power to create roadblocks for you to get paid. You have to submit your claim via mail or fax, this is 2019. NO ONE USES FAX MACHINES, so your claim will probably be sent via mail.

Once they receive the claim a week later you will see the initial information pop up about it on your claims page and from there the claim information will never be updated, even when new information has been sent to them via a vet or by you. In order to get any information you have to call them out of the blue and ask what the status is on the claim, they will never promptly tell you they need more information. After you've reached your deductible they will try to find every reason not to pay you. I sent in a claim in May and it is still under review now (3 months later). Save your money or find a different provider, Nationwide is not on your side here.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

$490.52 annual premium for a 2 year old cat - insured since kittenhood. Up from $352 last year. That doesn't include the $250 deductible. What's the premium going to be when she's six or ten? $1,000?? Good plan if you're worried about emergencies (who can predict those?) or if your pet develops a very expensive chronic condition (again, who can predict that?). Otherwise you're just throwing money down the hole. Seriously considering cancelling her plan and just going back to paying out of pocket.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I had to rush one of my dogs to have emergency surgery. I took her to the veterinary school to have the surgery. This school is not cheap and I paid out a lot of money that I didn't have. I wasn't giving up on my dog. After her surgery and 10 days of her staying there, I submitted the claim and all the information they asked for. This one maybe a week after she came home. After May 10th.

Here it is at the end of July and they are asking for more records prior to me adopting her. She was dumped off on the rescue I work with. I don't have any of the information prior. They are holding my claim up for a drug that UGA gave her after surgery. This insurance is a joke. They didn't even inform me of this. I had to call about the claim and found out that way. I would think they would have sent me a letter or something to tell me this. I have 4 dogs total on this insurance and pay out quite a bit. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I would not recommend them to anyone. They will be canceled after this. Pathetic company.

Original review: July 23, 2019

STAY AWAY from Nationwide Pet Insurance. I have had pet insurance for over 13 years (2 dogs over that period). When the company was VPI Pet Insurance it was a great. Then Nationwide bought them. Since I had such a good experience with my first dog I decided to go with the new company. How bad could it be? They bought VPI and assumed everything would go the same as before. Was I wrong. I bought the Cadillac policy full wellness. Premiums were $850.00 per year. Expensive but thought worth it just in case. I bought the policy when my dog was 8 weeks old.

At 10 months he started having allergy problems and needed prescription dog food which is covered by the plan. I just received my renewal policy (mind you my dog just turned 3) and the premiums are now $1,850.00. Over a 100% increase in 2 years. Wow even my personal health insurance doesn’t increase at that rate. What a shame of an insurance company. I don't recommend pet insurance to everyone. I will make sure to inform everyone to stay away from Nationwide as they are not a company that cares about their customers.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Good news: We have had our 2 dogs on this insurance for 6 years. Have the Whole Pet Wellness policy for both. All claims we placed were handled well; we were satisfied with the process & results. Deductible was $250, and reimbursement was 90%. Bad news: The last time we submitted a claim (very recent), they suddenly decided to deny a few items that had been covered in the past - no explanations given. Unacceptable news: Our female dog is only 4 years old. Her policy premium was just raised from $66 a month to $111 a month. This is 60+% rate hike, which is ridiculous. Our male is 8 & I cannot imagine what the new rate for him will be when his policy expires. More cost for questionable coverage. We've dropped the insurance; I don't trust them anymore. Shame on Nationwide.

Original review: July 6, 2019

We have had Nationwide VPI Pet Insurance for the cat and do for over 13 years. In that time they either continually lost the claims, quibbled over the claims or delayed payments. In one instance when the cat had kidney stone operation they asked if the anesthesia was really necessary!!! When our dear cat Zachary ** passed away, instead of giving condolences, they questioned the date of death and how much premium they had to refund after he passed. Never ever would I ever use these people again. Avoid at all costs. With the new additions we have gone with Trupanion insurance and are very pleased. Reverend Dr Milan.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I am a medical provider for humans so I purchased Nationwide Pet Insurance for my new 1 year old dog just in case he suffered from an injury. I have major medical plan coverage with a $250 deductible. He was injured when he fell off the front step and broke his leg. Nationwide kept asking for vet notes, itemized bills and receipts which I submitted more than once. It also took 5 weeks to inform me they will cover '$0' because of "What We Do Not Cover - Exclusions" section of your policy states that we will not pay for diagnosis or treatment of any complication or progression of any condition limited or excluded by this policy." HUH? I will try and fight this but what a MAJOR SCAM. I talked to my vet and he said many of his clients have been denied legit claims for payment and they do NOT recommend this company. If this review will deter one person from purchasing Nationwide I have done my due diligence!

Original review: July 3, 2019

DO NOT USE NATIONWIDE KNOWN AS PETINSURANCE.COM. I have been insured through Nationwide since 2011 for one pet, and since 2013 for my second pet. I have been paying around $750 since 2011 until 2013, and then $1500 since 2013. I purchased the most comprehensive insurance since I got both of my dogs at 12 weeks old. The company was originally known as VPI Pet Insurance, but sometime during my time it changed or was bought by Nationwide.

Last year, I was notified that my automatic payment did not go through, due to a change in my debit card details/ expiry date. I went into their portal to update my card, and when I hit submit (on both policies) it deducted the remaining payments for the year. I rang their customer service hotline, and was told there was nothing Nationwide would do. I did not want $1,600 coming out of my bank when both policies were up for renewal. I was told that I would be posted a renewal notification and can revert back to monthly payments then. This year, I got a notification from my vet that my dogs were due vaccinations. This prompted me to go online to check my policies. I was surprised to learn that one of my dog’s policies had lapsed.

I called Nationwide, and they created a new policy, even though I offered to backdate the couple of months monthly premiums. Within a few weeks, my dog fractured his leg. I submitted my claim and the claim was denied. They said there was a 12-month waiting period for new policies, something that was not discussed with me at the time of renewal. The fact I had been a loyal customer since 2011 mattered for nothing. I would never have renewed this policy had I known it would be another 12 months effectively paying premiums without coverage. My advice is that you shop around. Since leaving Nationwide (petinsurance.com) I discovered that there are better and cheaper pet insurance companies, that offer immediate insurance starting straight away.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Stay away. I've been with this company since they were VPI, then got bought out by Nationwide. I'm going on 10 years with this company for one pet, 4 years with another and I canceled that policy but my oldest pet is still with this lousy company. I definitely won't use this company for my new pets. Imagine your worst experience with your own health insurance, add the worst time you ever had with Comcast, add the worst experience you had with the IRS, then add the worst time you had at the DMV and you'll get Nationwide.

Being a long term customer doesn't matter to them. They routinely lose claims, pretend they can't "see them clearly" from your emails, deny claims randomly even for things that are covered, pretend they never got an email, and generally take advantage of you when your pet is sick and you're stressed and upset already from seeing your fur buddy in pain. They prey on you at the worst times when you're really worried about your pets and they know you won't have the strength to fight back. VPI was better before these guy took over. Claims were faster, they didn't take advantage of you, they paid what was covered, they didn't pretend that your signature didn't look right and that's why they denied your claim. Stay away. There are other companies.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Shortly after adopting my dog, we took her to the vet because her eyes were red and swollen. They said it was an eye infection, gave her some drops, and it cleared up. Flash forward 5 years, and after several months of having coverage through Nationwide, her left eye was very swollen and painful, so we took her to a veterinary ophthalmologist. Diagnosed her with an intraocular tumor, and had surgery to remove the orb. Nationwide denied the claim as a preexisting condition, which I should have expected considering the other reviews here. As an added bonus they took three months to deny the claim, after saying they needed more time, likely just so they could collect a few more months' premiums. Immediately cancelled policies for both my dogs and will be moving elsewhere. Avoid this scam of a company -- I'll never do business with them for any sort of insurance ever again.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information