2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.9/5 (387 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Nationwide Pet Insurance

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

Cons

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Bottom Line

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Started years ago when my puppy had disc disease and they refused to pay for surgery because they said it was a pre-existing foreign body condition. Now she is old and they won’t pay for her heart disease. Terrible company!!! They have low max amount I didn’t even know about.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Updated on 08/17/2021: I retracted my negative reviews because Nationwide had agreed to a reimbursement--after several weeks providing all of my dog's medical history, which showed no preexisting conditions. I'm glad Nationwide did the right thing.

Original Review: Nationwide Insurance is a scam! Please don't waste your money thinking that your pet is covered under their insurance. They will try every possible way not to pay you. They swindled out of paying for my corgi surgery, saying that it was pre-existing--even when I have submitted my dogs' medical history that showed my dog did not have any illnesses until recently. I should have stayed with precious pet insurance. It was a mistake that will cost my dog's life. If you love your pet, then don't use Nationwide. I will never use them again and continue to spread Nationwide insurance scam to everyone I know until they change their deceitful business practices.

Original review: July 15, 2021

My experience with Nationwide Pet Insurance has been pure hell. With the exception of one pet care representative who has been AMAZING, everything else has been insanely stressful and emotionally draining. I know what a “pre-existing condition” is. Well aware. Yet when a false condition was placed on my puppy’s account any time I called to speak with someone helpful all I ever got was 45 explanations of the definition of a preexisting condition. Talk about frustrating! I even had one of their customer service reps tell me to file a formal complaint through the state of MI. They always want your medical records yet don’t seem to care what they say. I’ve had multiple vets write very specific things that are then twisted into something else and “oops sorry that’s part of a preexisting condition” type letters start rolling in.

For simple things such as flea and tick medicine this company is fine. It’s when you actually end up having an issue is when they totally screw you over and even if you find someone helpful to help re-submit the denied claims, they don’t seem to take the fax from the owner or veterinarian into consideration just what they want to interpret from the medical records. It’s just been a very frustrating, emotionally draining, and expensive two years with a puppy and nationwide has done nothing to make it easier.

I would also highly recommend always reviewing your claims when they are denied as I have had multiple instances where something is denied and I call about it and question it and I get told “oh that was a mistake, that should not have been denied“ so I guess always double check even though you’re supposed to be able to trust that they are doing their job! Just a very frustrated customer who is unfortunately stuck with this company now as if we were to cancel and go with any other company everything in their current medical records would become a pre-existing condition. Hopefully it will get better but I try not to get my hopes up anymore.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Nationwide is horrible pet insurance. I have 4 cats. All are healthy. Take cat 1 to the vet for a wellness exam and comprehensive checkup including blood pressure reading and blood work. Nationwide covered. Take cat 2 and 3 to the same vet for the exact same exam. Nationwide requests additional medical records and is dragging feet. Submitted records and communication is poor. Filed a complaint with state insurance commission. It is unbelievable coverage for simply wellness exam is not covered specifically when they say they will coverage 50% of costs past the 250 deductible.

Original review: July 12, 2021

My cat is fully vaccinated and updated. Unfortunately, he had a urinary passing issue last year for one day. Since it was on Sunday, I had to take him to emergency because his vet wasn't available on the weekend. After that, I took him to his vet, and he was wonderful. I did purchase Nationwide Insurance this year, and they gave my pre-existing cat conditions for his urinary. I told them that my cat didn't have this problem since last year, and it was only once. His documents proved that. They asked me to submit a claim for reviewing my cat documents. After I submitted all his papers, and after two months, they send a letter that they removed his pre-existing condition. Instead, they added two other pre-existing conditions for Obesity and Murmur because it was under his description when I took him to the emergency.

Nationwide even didn't care that my vet cat documents showed my cat is completely healthy with no issue. They just tried to put you in the process of sending a request for reviewing process and keep charging you for your pet insurance. If I knew that this company doesn't care about reality and customer time and service, I wouldn't purchase the insurance for my cats. So, to be short, I canceled my two cats' insurance too. Not wasting my time and money with this company.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Nationwide PET Insurance. Extremely disappointed. Since getting Nationwide as our pet insurance 3 years ago, it has been extremely hit and miss with getting our claims approved. I have a high maintenance French bulldog, two actually, and sadly it seems like a 50/50 chance every time I turn a claim in. Most recently, we had a 3 day ER stay as one of my dogs is a seizure pup. $4,000.00 plus dollars later, I turned in my claims to, disappointingly, have them denied in return. That was extremely disappointing and infuriating, as you pay for this and end up not getting covered for things you would think would be a common sense thing for pet insurance to cover such as ER visits, medicine, treatment, etc.

I called to speak to a representative to have our claims reviewed and the customer service member I spoke to was extremely nice. She told me to send in any additional notes, information and anything I could provide on top of my invoices and I did. I even had my neurologist/vet write a letter to our insurance stating everything and all the treatments and notes were involved. Much to my surprise, it was once again denied. We are extremely close to taking this to court to fight this. It is extremely unfortunate and disappointing that a legal battle should even be considered when you are dealing with insurance. Especially when you are looking to sign up for Nationwide Pet Insurance, it clearly states that it covers "accidents & illnesses, Some hereditary conditions, Cancer, Use any vet, including specialty & ER."

I have spent a total of up to $6,000.00 since then with follow up treatments and medicines, and continue to have all my claims denied. I turn them in every time, sadly knowing that it will most likely be denied. Worst part is we can't even switch insurances, or even upgrade our policy because everything we have been dealing with would be considered pre existing. Truly a shame and extremely disappointed. When people ask about getting Nationwide Pet Insurance, I tell them to not go with Nationwide based on my experience. And that is the saddest part of it all, especially because I will be stuck with them for our lifetime as we will continue to deal with these issues for my pups' whole life.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I joined VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance) in 2014 and enrolled my 4 pets, 2 dogs and 2 cats, before Nationwide bought VPI. I was on the highest comprehensive plans called 'Major Medical' plans and these plans were advertised to offer comprehensive coverage for major issues and surgeries. I did not realize that after Nationwide bought VPI that it is not actually a Major plan anymore, they just kept the name, and when my dog had an emergency, I was out 5K for the surgery and hospitalization, and very little covered outside of that. I still owe over 1K more more everything else uncovered. They paid about 44% of my total costs for surgery which is not Major coverage and after the cap that's it.

When I called they said it is a grandfathered VPI plan and now they have better plans, which I did not know about. For $140 a month for 6 years that coverage is abysmal. The covered costs do not take into account location and costs in your area - DO NOT BUY THIS insurance!! They made 2 claim adjustments but really didn't offer me what I deserved or seem to care that I was a long-standing loyal customer. They could have upgraded my coverage early or at least more comprehensively covered my claim. Buyer Beware!

Original review: June 9, 2021

This is a difficult time for me as I have just said goodbye to my canine companion Lizzy. I am still suffering from her loss as I'm sure I will be forever. The purpose of this letter is to let the public know how very professional, loving and caring the Nationwide Pet Administrators and Underwriters have been during the time Lizzy was insured by them. They were remarkable in ensuring that I was recompensed promptly for the overwhelming cost of Lizzy’s treatment. It was only because she was insured by Nationwide through their Whole Pet with Wellness Plan that I was able to pursue a course of chemotherapy treatment that would enable Lizzy to live a reasonably stable and good life for as long as possible. I cannot begin to describe how comforting it was during the roughly 6-month experience of her treatment to know that Nationwide was truly “by our side” and paying 90% of the cost of every bill generated during her treatment.

Lizzy was a 6-pound Maltese Pomeranian dog who was loved not only by myself and my partner, Maggie **, but EVERYONE who saw her during our 3-walks a day exercise program. She passed away on the 23rd of May this year after a hard-fought battle with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). In summary, if anyone who reads this is considering a pet insurance policy, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND they contract with Nationwide Pet Insurance to ensure that their beloved pet is given the regular wellness care or extensive treatment required to perpetuate his or her whole life.

Original review: April 7, 2021

Basic summary: every claim you submit they will try to find a way to call it pre-existing conditions. My dog had diarrhea before, so any diarrhea in the future (even though it's a completely separate episode a year apart) is considered a pre-existing condition. For teeth cleaning, they won't cover your first teeth cleaning (even though my dogs teeth were cleaned < 1 year previous). I'd recommend to highly "RUN" away from Nationwide and save your $$$.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I submitted my first claim for my pet back on January 5th for the cost of x-rays on my dog's leg. At first they denied the claim stating that they needed medical records from November of 2020. I went back and supplied 2yrs worth of medical records. I then call back and was told that they will need an additional 30 days to review. This was on January 28th. I called back at the end of February only to be told that it will be another 30 days. Fast forward to today and I'm told that it could be up to 90 days. This makes absolutely no sense. They are giving customers the runaround. I'm paying for a service that is no good.

Original review: March 27, 2021

I have had Nationwide which used to be VPI for my dog for over thirteen years and paid a lot of money to them in annual premiums. They used to be great. Since taken over by Nationwide and especially in the past year their service is awful. They used to pay claims within a few weeks. They now sit for a month or more and then they say they need more information. You send them what they ask for and they leave it sit again. Then you hear nothing. When you call you are on hold for a good hour. At best you may get a rude customer service rep. who will be of no help. At worst they leave you on hold all that time and then the phone just disconnects. I have emailed and they do not respond to that either. They have absolutely no integrity and should be investigated for fraud.

Original review: March 11, 2021

Me and my husband bought a puppy in April and in November bought insurance through his work. It was Nationwide. At the end of January I had taken our puppy to the dog park and he was running with other dogs and twisted his leg. I took him to the veterinary and she put him on a anti inflammatory which didn't help. So we took had x-rays taken and the veterinary said that she thought he had an ACL tear or in a dog it's an CCL tear. So we took him to a specialist and had the tplo surgery done.

I filed the claim a day after each veterinary visit and his surgery when I received each invoice/receipt and they denied each claim staying they need medical records for our dog. I then provided the records about nine pages of records and then they tell me that it will take another sixty days before they look at the records I sent. They told me they needed to make sure that it isn't a preexisting condition in which I keep think he is a one year old puppy. How could anyone think it would be a preexisting condition. Then I am told that they could pay me but they can't say for sure. I think nationwide is the worst at customer service I have ever had to deal with.

Original review: March 9, 2021

First of all let me explain that when I first bought dog insurance from this company they were owned by another insurance company. I have had this insurance for almost 20 years between my two dogs who I adore. On small claims I find them to be adequate however, the reason you have this insurance is for major problems. Here's what they do.... When you have a surgery that they cover, they cover ONLY THE AMOUNT THEY FEEL THEY SHOULD PAY. My one dog sadly lost his leg and there were over $7000.00 of vet bills. The insurance only paid a little over $2000 because they said the surgery was more than their amount. I called vets who did this all over the Chicago area and all agreed their fee was more in line with my bill. After my one dog died, I decided to keep the insurance on my remaining dog as I had had the insurance since she was a pup.

Last year she ate some Christmas plastic greenery and had to have surgery to open her stomach. This was almost $3000.00 but I was hoping my insurance would be helpful. Well they sent me $1120.00 because once again that's all they would pay even though it was a very fair fee. Now here's the kicker...my dog who is fairly healthy just turned 13 and I just received a renewal notice from the for this year of over $3000.00. Yes $3000.00 and I paid about a $1000 last year but said, "Ok. She's older." I thought maybe the bill would be $1500 or so but NO IT WAS OVER $3000.00! I have been told by my vet there is some good dog insurances out there BUT NATIONWIDE IS NOT ONE OF THEM. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

Original review: March 5, 2021

NationWide Exotic Rabbit Insurance is terrible, does not cover common conditions rabbits get ie: ear mites etc. high deductible and ridiculously low caps on each condition. DO NOT waste your time or money on this one. Wait for another Insurance Co. To offer Rabbit Insurance!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

The title of my critique is an exact quote said to me by a nationwide Pet Insurance customer service representative. I have been a customer for 12 years and paid monthly on time without many claims submitted. When my dog finally started to have bills due to a serious illness, Nationwide covered less than 10% of the vet bills. When I called them to question this low amount, the customer service rep 'Martha' interrupted me and said, "We're not here to pay your vet bills." Well I said isn't that why people take out insurance and pay monthly premiums for years and years - to have help paying their vet bills when the time comes? I can't say enough bad about Nationwide Pet Insurance - stay away from them unless you're a glutton for punishment, don't care what happens to your pet or feel like flushing your money down the toilet. In a nutshell, Nationwide Pet Insurance just plain sucks.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Have had pet insurance with them for 2 years. Submitted a total of 3 claims, all of which were denied. The first for teeth cleaning, my pup had to have 2 extractions....explanation, pre-existing condition, ok fine, but going forward these would be covered (as we were told). Took my pup in for wellness (every year visit), also had another teeth cleaning (every year). Both claims again denied. Called Nationwide...."Your insurance only covers accidental...." What??? Every conversation we have had with them, this was never stated to us. We even confirmed wellness visits would be covered. Paid them all this money for 2 years, they make their own rules. Insurance cancelled. Wish I could give them no stars.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I have one of Nationwide's most expensive and comprehensive plans which includes what they call "wellness and prevention." My dog went in for routine dental cleaning. The doctor recommended that for her particular case that she NOT be put under general anesthesia. Nationwide won't cover the procedure UNLESS I put her under anesthesia. Therefore, they only will cover this basic necessary wellness and preventative procedure if I put her at risk by making her go under anesthesia even though it goes against the doctor's recommendation. I can either pay out of pocket or put my dog at risk, those are the options Nationwide gives me. That's just WRONG. Nationwide does NOT care about our pets. Avoid at all costs please.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I've had my German Shepherd insured through Nationwide since 2015 (when they were Veterinary Pet Insurance). The annual premium appears to be set such that, if you do for the year are wellness visits to the vet *and* you purchase the usual meds (flea, tick, heartworm), you will recover the cost of the premium -- that is, you break even for the year. That's actually a pretty good deal, because if there are any unanticipated issues, then you're likely going to be saving money.

Of course, even just to break even, you do need to file claims for all of your costs -- i.e., vet visits, pharmaceuticals, etc. -- so there's a 'time' cost, but Nationwide has really streamlined their claims process. (I just filed a claim for a ** prescription, and it took me roughly two minutes, including the time to log in and get to the claims page.) Claims are reviewed and paid very quickly -- typically within 48 hours. Customer service is pleasant and very responsive, although hold times have increased recently. Overall, I have found Nationwide pet insurance to be an excellent deal. As long that doesn't change, I will continue to insure my pets with them.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

So far I do not have any major complaints. There are some items I wish they covered like prescription food and teeth cleaning. They have been very prompt in resolving the claims that have been submitted.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

When I decided to have my first dog, I knew I had to consider the cost of caring for him. It wasn’t just the initial check up, spading (which there are a lot of organization that will help with the cost) but the long term care I was concerned with. Being a senior on a fixed income, I knew that even the yearly check ups, getting nails clipped, heart worm medication and flea and tick protection would be costly. If there were sick visits on top of all that, my budget would never recover and I would end up in debt. I always said I would never have a pet if I couldn’t afford to care for him properly. My son told me about Nationwide Pet Ins. He had it and it reimbursed him 90% of all the expenses. Well I signed on. They reimbursed the money within a week to 10 days. It was a little stretch for me because my fixed income isn’t very high, but well worth it to have a companion. I never had to worry about taking care of him properly.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I have had them for the past six years although I’ve only had minor problems with my pet. They have always been responsive to my needs and I have no problem collecting on my insurance. Although my premiums have gone up each year it is understandable that this happens and I was warned when I signed up for the plan that this would be occurring.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I have had a pretty good experience with Nationwide Pet Insurance. Customer Service is excellent. They always have the right answer and are always willing to help. Also, whenever I have any claims, the response and action is very quick. Good experience overall!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Nationwide Insurance is a pretty good insurance. They offer average pet coverage that can be combined with homeowners insurance. I recommend that price comparison is always suggested. Nationwide do have great customer service and give great service.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Overall definitely worth it. And if something unexpected comes up we’ll be covered. Gives peace of mind. Even covers well care and prescriptions pays 90 percent 250 deductible which you can use up in one visit. Glad I did it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

It's expensive and they don't pay much of the claim submitted. Recently I had a claim for $900 and they paid about $350. It might be cheaper to be self-insured. Been thinking about dropping the insurance.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I pay for the top tier insurance for my pet. It's remarkable the reasons they come back with a denial of claims. Today I called to inquire about why a routine dental cleaning was denied. They told me it was a pre-existing condition. Hows that? How is a routine dental cleaning a pre-existing condition? I cancelled the policy and what made matters worse is that they didn't even attempt at keeping me as a customer. I would avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I have had my dog insured with Nationwide since I got him as a 6-month old puppy in 2008. Nationwide's predecessor was VPI Pet, and my vet recommended VPI Pet in 2008. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for, so the premiums were relatively reasonable in the beginning because I chose a policy that did not cover wellness visits, but did cover accidents and illnesses. The premiums have increased very substantially each year but my dog is now 12 years old, and I renewed the coverage because I felt if I would ever need it, it would be now. He recently required a costly diagnostic test for a liver disorder - I got a check for $99. Just canceled the policy for a refund of the paid-in-advance premium at least. Save your money - start a savings account and annually deposit what you would pay in premiums each year. You'll be much further ahead.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I first started with this company when I had my first dog. They were pricey then but I figured it is worth it for my dog. They reimbursed as they said they would for the most part with some sporadic random declines. When she died, we got another family pet from the shelter. She is a mixed breed medium sized dog. We were always prompt with payment/never ever missing one in all of this time. During the pandemic in Feb/March my card was cancelled because it was being used by someone other than me. There was no notification sent to me that my policy was going to be cancelled or that I had missed a payment (no email or phone call).

When I called I was transferred 12 times between reps, who were nice enough but not helpful. Then my call was dropped and never returned again. I appealed to the reps stating that I am a longtime client and NEVER missed a payment. I had two options: pay for the lapse = over $400 in a pandemic and recently having lost my job OR start a new policy for my otherwise healthy 3 year old spayed dog = $98 plus tax per month (up from $63 per month/original policy was signed at $54 per month and went up without notice). I was very upset after waisting 2 hours waiting for a supervisor only to have my call dropped - which I am sure was not on purpose (yeah right).

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I bought pet insurance for my French bulldog. Filed three claims they denied all three claims saying it was Pre-existing medical issues and my dog is less than six months. So if your dog is born with any issues you're out of luck. They will deny your claim but continue to take your money every month so after two months I canceled my pet insurance with Nationwide. They are a scam just like all other pet insurance companies always trying to find ways not to pay. So do yourself a favor. Put that 70 bucks a month in saving account and use that money to pay your own vet bills because nationwide is NO help!

Original review: July 17, 2020

I received a renewal notice from Nationwide Pet Insurance for the insurance policy on my dog. Last year the policy cost $771.49. The renewal rate for the renewal policy starting on September 12, 2020 is $1,292.00 – a 67% increase. I called Nationwide and complained but they said that is the rate.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information