2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: March 4, 2020

I have had this insurance company coverage and paying premiums for 11 years. Now that my dog is 11 years old, they have increased my monthly premium by $60 a month!!! When I asked why they said it was because of her age. It is terrible that they are now price gouging me now when Beatriz is getting older and probably needs her insurance more than she has before. There is no loyalty for customers, beware and really look at your options before considering a long term commitment to this company. There is no way to appeal the financial decisions they make for your beloved pet. They are forcing me to make a very hard decision. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I got this insurance through work and have an English Bulldog. They denied every claim I submitted for him in a year and looked for loopholes to not cover any of it. This is a SCAM. Do not use them! I read every experience list on this site and can say at least I dropped them before they tired to hike my premiums for having a high risk dog, but short of that I experienced every other thing on here. I have nothing good to say about them!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

We enrolled our dog in what was then VPI when our now 8 1/2 year old dog was just about eight weeks old. We had wellness and major medical coverage for her first year, and then switched to just the major medical coverage because it was more economical. Our dog has always been healthy and our claims were minimal (a couple of porcupine quills, an ear infection and other minor medical events). Because of this, we thought the coverage was good and fair. After our deductible we were reimbursed in the neighborhood of 80 percent. For the last four years, our premiums went up quite a bit, but we stayed loyal to Nationwide--thinking we were covered in the event that there was a medical crisis.

Well, here we are in the midst of a medical crisis. Our dog was diagnosed with cancer about a month ago, and as it turns out, Nationwide has not been on our side. Their major medical coverage is a benefit schedule (unless you are willing to pay for their pricey Whole Pet Wellness plan, though even that has a lot of exclusions). And the benefit schedule is both confusing and completely out of touch with the reality of what pet care costs for a major medical event. To be truly informed, you would have to translate the medical-ese of the benefit schedule and then research the cost for a whole host of medical issues. And then read all of the fine, fine print of medical exclusions (including certain kinds of cancers). The good news for us is that our dog's cancer was not included in the exclusion list.

The bad news is that the "coverage" being provided amounts to about 30 percent of the costs we have incurred for the diagnosis and treatment. Take, for example, Nationwide's allowance for diagnostic testing: It is $1600 for the policy term (not annual). To diagnose and treat our dog required two CT scans. Just one CT scan costs nearly that. (Note that the annual allowance for the CT scan is less than that.) If you needed an ultrasound and a CT scan to diagnose a condition you would have used up your entire allowance for diagnostic testing for the pet's life.

I have appealed the claims they have denied because we have used up our paltry allowance for her diagnosis, but do not expect any change. Subsequently, we have cancelled our policy for our younger dog and chosen a different insurer that has a policy that is explained in much clearer terms and offers far more comprehensive coverage for the same price. Unfortunately, we will have to stay with Nationwide for the dog who is sick.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

My lab is almost 15 years old and we started this coverage back when it was VPI pet insurance. My premium is now up to $100 per month and they cover NOTHING. We have been lucky he’s been pretty healthy so far but recently his arthritis has gotten worse leading to a few more vet visits. His last visit cost $350 and they covered $25. Ridiculous! They also cover less and less of his yearly exam each year. There is no point in paying this costly premium that covers nothing.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Absolutely awful. They love to take advantage of people. They are the typical insurance company that is out for your money. I pay for dental and they told me that because of my cat's tooth resorption they won't pay for it. I called to try and get this fixed and they were the most unhelpful people I've ever had the displeasure of talking to. I am a vet student. I know the medical side of veterinary medicine. Tooth resorption has NOTHING to do with teeth cleaning or the standard of care of taking radiographs before a cleaning. And yet that's what they told me. And, for my other cat, they tried to tell me that the bloodwork I got was "screening for a behavioral issue". What utter nonsense.

WARNING: if they say they don't cover something, like say it got called a pre-existing condition, if that something is even part of the bill they take an arbitrary amount of money from every cost on that bill EVEN IF IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION! Please do yourself and your pet a favor and don't get this insurance unless they are a young kitten or puppy with no documented health concerns.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I rescued a 3 yr old, Old English Bulldog, Stella, I purchased pet insurance through Nationwide pet insurance. Every time I take her to the vet they refused to pay any of my claims! They deem EVERYTHING as a pre-existing condition and say it's not covered. I recently submitted a claim for $450 for her annual physical, heartworm check, vaccines, etc and they refused it, claiming they don't cover vaccines. It's so frustrating! When asked why everything is considered a pre-existing condition? I was told since she is a rescue there is no way to determine what is a "new" issue. And that is how they get you! It's a racket! I cancelled her insurance immediately. No reason to pay an additional $500 for nothing!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I have had Nationwide Pet Insurance for my two beagles for 8+ years as I never wanted to make economic decisions in the event of a serious illness. Nationwide reimbursed a substantial portion when my oldest dog needed back surgery and my recently reimbursed the majority of expenses associated with my Charlie’s splenectomy, cancer and associated chemo treatments. Their website is easy to navigate and submitting claims is fast with a great response time.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

We had VPI, which was unfortunately purchased by Nationwide. Nationwide began excluding coverage and limiting amounts paid on virtually any diagnosis, so no matter what you pay in premiums you will never make up for it. Now, after paying premiums for 8 and 10 years for dogs, they just increased rates 30% and said part of that is “proprietary” information based on the age of my dogs. So, you will pay in for years to the point when your dogs need it, only to have Nationwide price you out of coverage. I have a puppy and they just paid half of an emergency $1,400 bill. Their customer service is horrid on top of this poor claim experience. Do not waste your money.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Excuse me while I vent...and sorry for the length. So I got pet insurance for Daisy when she was a puppy. I invested in coverage for EVERYTHING, because my first dog almost bankrupted me. Fortunately she has been very healthy, just the occasional ear infection, etc. The policy never covered a LOT for routine care, but with the extended "cover-all" rider that I've been paying for, I knew as she got older I'd be covered.

Well her latest surgery ran about $1500. I put in the claim with all the paperwork and waited for my check, as it was a week before Christmas. My check came right before Christmas for....ready...$230. That's right $230. I was sick to my stomach. I JUST got off the phone and they "explained" to me that when I bought the policy 10 years ago it WAS top of the line, but since then there have been many changes and I should have updated. I replied, well now my dog is 10 and changes will cost a fortune to which I was told "we won't make any changes for a 10 year old dog". Pretty much take what you get and move along. Keep in mind, I'm paying about $70/month for this insurance and I know if I cancel it, I'll get hit with some catastrophic event, God forbid. My advice to all who are looking to get pet insurance put $25-50 a month away, for emergencies and don't waste your $$ on pet insurance. #NationwideisNOTonmyside.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I had a pet that was on a policy with them for over three years. Never need a claim, paid out renewal premiums. Then one day said pet was very ill. Submitted all vet invoices, medical notes, and labs as requested. With 24 hour full claim denied as not covered. Save your money and use it for vet bills. Avoid trying to get anything from them.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information