1.30/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Nationwide Pet Insurance

Need a pet insurance provider?

375 Nationwide Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 6, 2019

We have had Nationwide VPI Pet Insurance for the cat and do for over 13 years. In that time they either continually lost the claims, quibbled over the claims or delayed payments. In one instance when the cat had kidney stone operation they asked if the anesthesia was really necessary!!! When our dear cat Zachary ** passed away, instead of giving condolences, they questioned the date of death and how much premium they had to refund after he passed. Never ever would I ever use these people again. Avoid at all costs. With the new additions we have gone with Trupanion insurance and are very pleased. Reverend Dr Milan.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I am a medical provider for humans so I purchased Nationwide Pet Insurance for my new 1 year old dog just in case he suffered from an injury. I have major medical plan coverage with a $250 deductible. He was injured when he fell off the front step and broke his leg. Nationwide kept asking for vet notes, itemized bills and receipts which I submitted more than once. It also took 5 weeks to inform me they will cover '$0' because of "What We Do Not Cover - Exclusions" section of your policy states that we will not pay for diagnosis or treatment of any complication or progression of any condition limited or excluded by this policy." HUH? I will try and fight this but what a MAJOR SCAM. I talked to my vet and he said many of his clients have been denied legit claims for payment and they do NOT recommend this company. If this review will deter one person from purchasing Nationwide I have done my due diligence!

Original review: July 3, 2019

DO NOT USE NATIONWIDE KNOWN AS PETINSURANCE.COM. I have been insured through Nationwide since 2011 for one pet, and since 2013 for my second pet. I have been paying around $750 since 2011 until 2013, and then $1500 since 2013. I purchased the most comprehensive insurance since I got both of my dogs at 12 weeks old. The company was originally known as VPI Pet Insurance, but sometime during my time it changed or was bought by Nationwide.

Last year, I was notified that my automatic payment did not go through, due to a change in my debit card details/ expiry date. I went into their portal to update my card, and when I hit submit (on both policies) it deducted the remaining payments for the year. I rang their customer service hotline, and was told there was nothing Nationwide would do. I did not want $1,600 coming out of my bank when both policies were up for renewal. I was told that I would be posted a renewal notification and can revert back to monthly payments then. This year, I got a notification from my vet that my dogs were due vaccinations. This prompted me to go online to check my policies. I was surprised to learn that one of my dog’s policies had lapsed.

I called Nationwide, and they created a new policy, even though I offered to backdate the couple of months monthly premiums. Within a few weeks, my dog fractured his leg. I submitted my claim and the claim was denied. They said there was a 12-month waiting period for new policies, something that was not discussed with me at the time of renewal. The fact I had been a loyal customer since 2011 mattered for nothing. I would never have renewed this policy had I known it would be another 12 months effectively paying premiums without coverage. My advice is that you shop around. Since leaving Nationwide (petinsurance.com) I discovered that there are better and cheaper pet insurance companies, that offer immediate insurance starting straight away.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Stay away. I've been with this company since they were VPI, then got bought out by Nationwide. I'm going on 10 years with this company for one pet, 4 years with another and I canceled that policy but my oldest pet is still with this lousy company. I definitely won't use this company for my new pets. Imagine your worst experience with your own health insurance, add the worst time you ever had with Comcast, add the worst experience you had with the IRS, then add the worst time you had at the DMV and you'll get Nationwide.

Being a long term customer doesn't matter to them. They routinely lose claims, pretend they can't "see them clearly" from your emails, deny claims randomly even for things that are covered, pretend they never got an email, and generally take advantage of you when your pet is sick and you're stressed and upset already from seeing your fur buddy in pain. They prey on you at the worst times when you're really worried about your pets and they know you won't have the strength to fight back. VPI was better before these guy took over. Claims were faster, they didn't take advantage of you, they paid what was covered, they didn't pretend that your signature didn't look right and that's why they denied your claim. Stay away. There are other companies.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Shortly after adopting my dog, we took her to the vet because her eyes were red and swollen. They said it was an eye infection, gave her some drops, and it cleared up. Flash forward 5 years, and after several months of having coverage through Nationwide, her left eye was very swollen and painful, so we took her to a veterinary ophthalmologist. Diagnosed her with an intraocular tumor, and had surgery to remove the orb. Nationwide denied the claim as a preexisting condition, which I should have expected considering the other reviews here. As an added bonus they took three months to deny the claim, after saying they needed more time, likely just so they could collect a few more months' premiums. Immediately cancelled policies for both my dogs and will be moving elsewhere. Avoid this scam of a company -- I'll never do business with them for any sort of insurance ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Resolution response: July 9, 2019

Since writing my first review, I spoke to another customer service representative and she helped me resolve the issue. The first rep that I spoke had been mistaken and given me incorrect information. The large fee was for both dogs on my account and because of the billing cycle, there had been a lapsed payment - more likely an issue with Blizzard than with Nationwide. So I chose to continue my policy for both dogs and am satisfied with the results. If ConsumerAffairs offered a way for me to take down my original review, I would. But I can't seem to find that anywhere as an option - which is disturbing to say the least. Apologies to Nationwide and thank you to the CSR who helped resolve the issue.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Several months ago, a representative from Nationwide came to my company (Blizzard Entertainment) and participated in the annual health fair. He was SUPER nice and convinced me to purchase pet insurance for my two dogs - which would be directly debited from my paycheck every 2 weeks. Total cost was around $80. The insurance covered almost all major issues and had a $250 deductible.

Fast forward to now - Blizzard laid me off a month ago and I recently got a letter from Nationwide saying I need to call them with new payment info to continue the policy. Understandable. So I called today and the phone rep told me to continue my policy for ONE dog only - it would cost me $180 upfront and then $40 per month (of which the first payment is already due). So basically $220 today. Shocked, I asked why the $180 fee - and she said that it was to "bring my account current." I said, "Wait, the fees were directly debited from my paycheck. There's no late payments due. And I've never received any correspondence ever saying my account is late."

She said, "I understand. But this is the fee." And again, I said "But I saw the money being directly debited from my check. I can show you proof. And regardless, this is between you and Blizzard who signed an agreement with me that said fees would be directly debited. It's in no way my fault. And either way, the fees have been coming out." She sat there and finally said, "Sorry, sir. I totally hear you. But this is what you have to pay to move forward." Then I said, "This is extortion! You are holding my policy ransom and demanding I pay fees that I don't owe in order to continue." She of course said, "Sorry you feel that way. There's nothing I can do." So I hung up and you can be sure I will NEVER do business with this scam of a company anymore. What they are doing should be illegal. I highly recommend that everyone avoid them at all costs. And frankly, if it wasn't such a small amount of money, I would consider seeking legal counsel for this.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I took my pet to get a dental cleaning under the impression that the service would be covered as a wellness visit. Apparently, your pet can't have tartar to clean before the dental cleaning because it's a pre-existing condition. I didn't see the point of keeping this insurance policy if the intended use and purpose, to cover these services, is not met. I tried to reach out to customer service to better understand how you can perform a dental cleaning without having tartar. The agent mentioned that future dental cleanings would be covered, but not the one my pet needed. It seems like a waste of time and money. If you place those $30-50 a month towards a savings account for pet emergencies or care, you would be able to cover these type of services without Nationwide.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Was a loyal customer of VPI - was purchased by Nationwide a little while back. Since then things have gone to complete **. Everything takes FOREVER. Claims randomly get denied. I've spoken to countless employees to try and figure out why and I just get the run around. One time I called because both of my dogs insurance DOUBLED out of nowhere. Not one supervisor would get on the phone to talk through it with me. I just kept getting the run around. They continue to implement new changes that cause more work for the customer and don't tell anyone. Just got off the phone and I am crying because I feel helpless. Nationwide are bullies and they push loyal customers around and treat them like **. I am trying to be a responsible pet owner and have insurance to make sure I can take the very best care of my animals. It's sad Nationwide clearly doesn't care about animals - they just want to make a buck.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I signed up for the wellness to help cover puppy medical costs, including neutering. The sales rep really pointed at that as a value proposition to include the wellness. I even delayed the appointment date to fit within coverage. However, now they're saying that my plan doesnt include that and the one that does would only apply to dogs over a year old. Outright lying.

Original review: June 5, 2019

If I could give zero stars I would, this company is shameful. I prematurely enrolled in this health insurance plan then I read the reviews. Once I read all the horrendous reviews, I immediately within 10 minutes of enrolling contacted the company and told them to cancel. You do have 10 days to cancel and this was only 10 minutes later. Not only did they not cancel the policy, they took two months premiums out of my checking account. I called the next day and spoke with Robert and he assured me he would cancel the policy. The next morning I checked my bank account and there was no credit. Not only that I called Nationwide and my policy was still active. I couldn’t get anybody on the phone. I’m going to keep trying obviously but don’t use this company. They are very deceitful and greedy.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information