3.5/5 (67 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Royal Canin Pet Foods

Royal Canin sells breed and life stage tailored nutritional dog and cat food products in veterinary clinics and retail stores throughout the United States. The company has more than 200 formulas on the market, which lets owners find dry and wet pet food for a variety of dog and cat breeds and sizes.

Pros

• Real ingredients
  • Money-back policy
  • Vast selection

Cons

• Some formulas pricey
  • Grain-free not available

Bottom Line

Royal Canin is a pet food line for healthy dogs and cats as well as those with specific health issues. The company has a wide range of products, but the food may not be suitable for pets with grain allergies.

Top Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have had excellent results with Royal Canin. The customer service is fantastic and they are always willing to answer my questions. … I appreciate the science and extensive resea...

Verified

This particular brand was recommended by my vet. I have a toy breed to the one for toy breeds is a small kibble which makes it easier for my dog to eat. This brand also seems to b...

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Royal Canin pet food

Royal Canin diets

Royal Canin makes each recipe with natural antioxidants, vitamins, fiber, prebiotics, and minerals that dogs and cats need. The company uses corn in its formulas, which is controversial for some pet owners. It offers multiple products to suit a variety of pets.

Royal Canin dog food

• Pure-breed dogs
  • Dogs by size
  • Puppies
  • Aging and senior dogs
  • Skin and food sensitivities
  • Urinary health, kidney health and digestive health
  • Weight management
  • Diabetes support

Royal Canin cat food

• Pure-breed cats
  • Healthy cats of different ages and lifestyles
  • Kittens
  • Aging and senior cats
  • Skin and food sensitivities
  • Urinary health, kidney health, digestive health
  • Weight management
  • Diabetes support
  • Cats with specific care needs

The company offers a Palatability Guarantee with support from its retail partners that offers a 100% money-back guarantee on all Royal Canin products. This lets you return the food for a refund if your pet refuses to eat it.

Royal Canin dog food prices

Royal Canin costs vary based on several factors, including the type of food selected and the breed, size and age of the pet. Royal Canin is available dry or wet in bags, pouches and cans. At the time of publishing, a 30-pound bag of Royal Canin’s Medium Adult Dry Dog Food was just more than $60 from Chewy, while the company’s canned puppy food was listed at just over $15 for a pack of six cans.

Royal Canin cat food

royal canin dry cat food

SHOP ON CHEWY
Logo

Royal Canin dog food

royal canin dry dog food

SHOP ON CHEWY

Coupons or discounts may be available through your veterinarian or preferred retailer.

Royal Canin FAQ

Is Royal Canin dog food on the recall list?
Royal Canin has announced the voluntary nationwide recall of some of its products before. The last recall was in 2007 and applied to several of its dry dog food offerings.
Is Royal Canin food good for dogs?
Royal Canin is a popular choice for many pet owners, and many customers report their dogs like it. It does use fillers, however, and may have the occasional presence of animal byproducts. Talk to your veterinarian to see if Royal Canin is a good choice for your pet.
Do vets recommend Royal Canin?
Recommendations for specific pet food brands vary by veterinarian. Some strongly recommend Royal Canin, while others may have another brand they endorse.
Is Royal Canin really breed specific?
Royal Canin offers tailored nutrition for specific dog breeds. The company combines scientific and nutritional research with breed-specific traits to create a precise diet for your pup. Royal Canin sells cat food for American shorthair, Persians, Japanese bobtails and others as well as dog food for labradors, poodles, pugs, chihuahuas and others.
Who carries Royal Canin dog food?
Royal Canin is sold at national pet store chains, big-box grocery stores and on Amazon. The brand can sometimes be found in local pet stores and agriculture stores. A full list of retailers that carry the brand is available on the Royal Canin website.
What company owns Royal Canin?
Royal Canin is owned by Mars Chocolat France SAS, whose parent organization is Mars, Inc.

Is Royal Canin a good dog food?

Royal Canin can be a great choice for pet owners looking for breed-specific dog or cat food and those who want pet food designed for specific health issues. Because one of the ingredients used is corn, however, some pet owners choose not to purchase Royal Canin. Additionally, the company doesn’t offer grain-free options for dogs and cats with grain allergies. If you like the price and the brand is accessible to you, we think Royal Canin is worth a try for pure-breed pets and those with health needs, including diabetes support or digestive relief.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: April 26, 2022

Royal Canin is letting my dog down. My little Lobo has a condition where he has many food allergies and he suffers from colitis. He is also on medication on a daily basis. The only dog food that he was tolerating was the Royal Canin prescription potato duck formula. I was informed by the company today that they suspended manufacturing of that formula until possibly January. What am I to feed my dog. I am very disappointed and extremely worried that my dog will get sick. Why would a company that claims a higher standard stop manufacturing a prescription dog food that is necessary for my and many other dogs to thrive on. I am very disappointed in Royal Canin and I am also very worried because I don’t know what I can feed my dog now. I put a call into his specialist they referred me to a company that makes home-cooked meals for dogs with specific issues however, the cost is prohibitive.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

I have been using Royal Canin Urinary SO for a long time. In January 2022 it became toxic. Both of our Kitties became ill with vomiting and diarrhea. One of our Kitties bounced back once we got the food replaced. However, our special needs blind kitty got very sick. She stopped eating and drinking and was vomiting and went from diarrhea to constipation. Pain and suffering is also a huge issue for her. She is currently in the Animal Emergency Hospital and we have a bill of about $4500 so far.

I reached out to Royal Canin and they told me without the bag they could do nothing. I store the food in a bin and had gotten rid of the bag. They should be held accountable but will not be due to me getting rid of that bag. I believe if they wanted to they could trace the bad batch. They just do not want to held accountable. The food was toxic!!! They have poor quality control issues. I know I will not get our money back nor could anything make up for the pain and suffering of our Stevie. I am writing to let the consumer know hang onto your bag if you buy from this company as they do not want to take ownership of tracking down the batch that made our Kitties sick.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Dog food I can feel good feeding my dog. Without harmful chemicals or “fillers”. Coming in vacuum sealed bags guarantees freshness. Each bag has a ziplock that allows me to reseal the bag and retain freshness.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

When I received the bag in December I had concerns because I did not think the bag was sealed properly. I was told by RC that the product was fine. In January when I first used the food, I thought is smelled a little off. This was Jan 12, 2022. I fed it to my cat because RC had said in December that it was fine. That evening my cat threw up twice. On Thursday he was not eating and very sluggish. I brought my cat to the vet.

It is now Tuesday January 18, 2022 and my is still not better. Not eating and not voiding as he should. He is currently at the vet on IV trying to flush his system. I Contacted RC today, January 18, 2022. She said they have not had any complaints on this food. However, I see from this site that there has been issues before. There are also issues posted on other sites that are recent with this same issue. While the RC customer service agent was helpful with explaining their manufacturing testing process, it does not explain why these cats are falling drastically ill. I asked if they could analyze this lot. She said that the request would have to come from a vet. I'm focusing at this moment on my cat, however, when he is better (praying) I will continue looking into this.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

I have a foster cat who was nearly put down by her former owners. She suffered from IBD, and it was bad. She was given to the shelter, who started trying her on 3 different prescription foods by "Hill's Science Diet" and "Royal Canin-Ultamino" and "Hill's z/d" canned. After about 2 weeks of eating that crap, she came to my home as a foster. I pleaded and argued with the vet to allow me to try something different, but his ignorance about nutrition lead to him believe a prescription (scam) diet is best. Even though those foods made the cat have explosive diarrhea all over the house, he still insisted. Long story shorter, she is now on Stella and Chewy's, and no longer has a trace of IBD.

Science Diet and whatever other companies fall under that name are scamming the public. One of their prescription foods contained BHA, a cancerous preservative. That one food in particular had my foster cat exploding with diarrhea within 2 hours of eating it. Even if this food seems to help your pet, it's still horribly unhealthy and will eventually do damage.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

My Vet has prescribed Royal Canin Renal Support D (morsels) and E (loaf). I noticed that recently the can is smaller in size and MARS who Owns Royal Canin has cut down the size of 13.5ozs. to 13ozs. The Morsels in Gravy are now larger chunks but, less with filler being the gravy. Now, opening the new E Loaf, the product seems more wet in texture, the loaf is a different color from the one I bought and had the Dark Blue Label and it even smells different. NOW, based on all the reviews I am worried about whether my dog will start vomiting and developing other issues. BTW------The price has not changed. This is so wrong.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

2 fur babies adopted last year, on Royal Canin puppy food until I transitioned to Digestive Care due to stomach sensitivities of one of my babies. Now told the production of this product is on hold with no ETA...so how do I feed my babies?? They SUGGESTED a different product...No thank you, you are the only company with shortages and no consideration for the health and well being of animals that cannot manage switches due to sensitivities. I will NEVER recommend a company that doesn't have the best interest of those ingesting their products. Bad business Royal Canin. Shame on you.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I started feeding my Dachshund Digestive Care wet food. She really enjoyed it. She was only 9 lbs. I also gave a little bit at each feeding to my Lab to fair. Both of their stools became a little soft. I didn't worry too much till a week later. My Dachshund stopped eating or drinking altogether. The next day she was confused, lethargic and stumbling. Took her to the vet immediately. She was kept in overnight for multiple tests. They were adamant she had gotten into something but could find nothing. The next day, she died.

I continued to use a little of the food for my Lab for 3 days. She became ill and went to the vet. She was not in as severe shape. Again they could not find a problem and sent her home. That afternoon I figured the food was the only change in the last one and a half weeks. I stopped it completely. I am writing this on the fifth day after I stopped the food to say my Lab is perfectly herself again. Royal Canin dog food has something in it that is no good to our pets. Don't take my word for it! Read the reviews! Please keep your pets safe by not feeding Royal Canin foods.

Original review: May 3, 2021

After years of feeding my cat Adult PV dry and canned food, Royal Canin changed the formulation of the canned food. This food caused him to vomit repeatedly and lick himself bald due to skin irritation and we incurred expensive vet bills trying to eliminate any issues such as a bowel obstruction. His vet suggested switching to Hills z/d food which eliminated his symptoms. Comparing the ingredients between old and new formulations of the RC canned food, the main change is the addition of powdered cellulose, a known digestive irritant! Emails and a letter to the company about the situation have received ZERO response, which is why I give them one star. I can understand a allergic reaction to changed ingredients, but the company's total indifference to a consumer complaint is unacceptable.

Original review: March 8, 2021

Our 12 year old German wirehaired pointer was perscribed this food for bladder stones, they still occur, but recently he and my daughter's chihuahua suddenly came down with bloody diarrhea and vomiting. Both have spent days in the ER, the chihuahua is not doing well at all. Do not buy this food, it is toxic and we aren't sure if the chihuahua is going to recover, doing ultrasound now and he is on IV's. Nobody seems to address this at the vet clinic or the company but please save yourself and your sweet pet from this horror. Obviously this is a widespread issue since you can find hundred of similar reviews. As soon as our older dog was taken off the food he improved to normal. Hopefully damage to his kidneys is not permanent. DO NOT BUY THIS.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information