2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (256 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Royal Canin Pet Foods

Royal Canin sells breed and life stage tailored nutritional dog and cat food products in veterinary clinics and retail stores throughout the United States. The company has more than 200 formulas on the market, which lets owners find dry and wet pet food for a variety of dog and cat breeds and sizes.

Pros

• Real ingredients
  • Money-back policy
  • Vast selection

Cons

• Some formulas pricey
  • Grain-free not available

Bottom Line

Royal Canin is a pet food line for healthy dogs and cats as well as those with specific health issues. The company has a wide range of products, but the food may not be suitable for pets with grain allergies.

Top Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have had excellent results with Royal Canin. The customer service is fantastic and they are always willing to answer my questions. … I appreciate the science and extensive resea...

Verified

This particular brand was recommended by my vet. I have a toy breed to the one for toy breeds is a small kibble which makes it easier for my dog to eat. This brand also seems to b...

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Royal Canin pet food

Royal Canin diets

Royal Canin makes each recipe with natural antioxidants, vitamins, fiber, prebiotics, and minerals that dogs and cats need. The company uses corn in its formulas, which is controversial for some pet owners. It offers multiple products to suit a variety of pets.

Royal Canin dog food

• Pure-breed dogs
  • Dogs by size
  • Puppies
  • Aging and senior dogs
  • Skin and food sensitivities
  • Urinary health, kidney health and digestive health
  • Weight management
  • Diabetes support

Royal Canin cat food

• Pure-breed cats
  • Healthy cats of different ages and lifestyles
  • Kittens
  • Aging and senior cats
  • Skin and food sensitivities
  • Urinary health, kidney health, digestive health
  • Weight management
  • Diabetes support
  • Cats with specific care needs

The company offers a Palatability Guarantee with support from its retail partners that offers a 100% money-back guarantee on all Royal Canin products. This lets you return the food for a refund if your pet refuses to eat it.

Royal Canin dog food prices

Royal Canin costs vary based on several factors, including the type of food selected and the breed, size and age of the pet. Royal Canin is available dry or wet in bags, pouches and cans. At the time of publishing, a 30-pound bag of Royal Canin’s Medium Adult Dry Dog Food was just more than $60 from Chewy, while the company’s canned puppy food was listed at just over $15 for a pack of six cans.

Royal Canin cat food

royal canin dry cat food

SHOP ON CHEWY
Logo

Royal Canin dog food

royal canin dry dog food

SHOP ON CHEWY

Coupons or discounts may be available through your veterinarian or preferred retailer.

Royal Canin FAQ

Is Royal Canin dog food on the recall list?
Royal Canin has announced the voluntary nationwide recall of some of its products before. The last recall was in 2007 and applied to several of its dry dog food offerings.
Is Royal Canin food good for dogs?
Royal Canin is a popular choice for many pet owners, and many customers report their dogs like it. It does use fillers, however, and may have the occasional presence of animal byproducts. Talk to your veterinarian to see if Royal Canin is a good choice for your pet.
Do vets recommend Royal Canin?
Recommendations for specific pet food brands vary by veterinarian. Some strongly recommend Royal Canin, while others may have another brand they endorse.
Is Royal Canin really breed specific?
Royal Canin offers tailored nutrition for specific dog breeds. The company combines scientific and nutritional research with breed-specific traits to create a precise diet for your pup. Royal Canin sells cat food for American shorthair, Persians, Japanese bobtails and others as well as dog food for labradors, poodles, pugs, chihuahuas and others.
Who carries Royal Canin dog food?
Royal Canin is sold at national pet store chains, big-box grocery stores and on Amazon. The brand can sometimes be found in local pet stores and agriculture stores. A full list of retailers that carry the brand is available on the Royal Canin website.
What company owns Royal Canin?
Royal Canin is owned by Mars Chocolat France SAS, whose parent organization is Mars, Inc.

Is Royal Canin a good dog food?

Royal Canin can be a great choice for pet owners looking for breed-specific dog or cat food and those who want pet food designed for specific health issues. Because one of the ingredients used is corn, however, some pet owners choose not to purchase Royal Canin. Additionally, the company doesn’t offer grain-free options for dogs and cats with grain allergies. If you like the price and the brand is accessible to you, we think Royal Canin is worth a try for pure-breed pets and those with health needs, including diabetes support or digestive relief.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

2 fur babies adopted last year, on Royal Canin puppy food until I transitioned to Digestive Care due to stomach sensitivities of one of my babies. Now told the production of this product is on hold with no ETA...so how do I feed my babies?? They SUGGESTED a different product...No thank you, you are the only company with shortages and no consideration for the health and well being of animals that cannot manage switches due to sensitivities. I will NEVER recommend a company that doesn't have the best interest of those ingesting their products. Bad business Royal Canin. Shame on you.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I started feeding my Dachshund Digestive Care wet food. She really enjoyed it. She was only 9 lbs. I also gave a little bit at each feeding to my Lab to fair. Both of their stools became a little soft. I didn't worry too much till a week later. My Dachshund stopped eating or drinking altogether. The next day she was confused, lethargic and stumbling. Took her to the vet immediately. She was kept in overnight for multiple tests. They were adamant she had gotten into something but could find nothing. The next day, she died.

I continued to use a little of the food for my Lab for 3 days. She became ill and went to the vet. She was not in as severe shape. Again they could not find a problem and sent her home. That afternoon I figured the food was the only change in the last one and a half weeks. I stopped it completely. I am writing this on the fifth day after I stopped the food to say my Lab is perfectly herself again. Royal Canin dog food has something in it that is no good to our pets. Don't take my word for it! Read the reviews! Please keep your pets safe by not feeding Royal Canin foods.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2021

After years of feeding my cat Adult PV dry and canned food, Royal Canin changed the formulation of the canned food. This food caused him to vomit repeatedly and lick himself bald due to skin irritation and we incurred expensive vet bills trying to eliminate any issues such as a bowel obstruction. His vet suggested switching to Hills z/d food which eliminated his symptoms. Comparing the ingredients between old and new formulations of the RC canned food, the main change is the addition of powdered cellulose, a known digestive irritant! Emails and a letter to the company about the situation have received ZERO response, which is why I give them one star. I can understand a allergic reaction to changed ingredients, but the company's total indifference to a consumer complaint is unacceptable.

Original review: March 8, 2021

Our 12 year old German wirehaired pointer was perscribed this food for bladder stones, they still occur, but recently he and my daughter's chihuahua suddenly came down with bloody diarrhea and vomiting. Both have spent days in the ER, the chihuahua is not doing well at all. Do not buy this food, it is toxic and we aren't sure if the chihuahua is going to recover, doing ultrasound now and he is on IV's. Nobody seems to address this at the vet clinic or the company but please save yourself and your sweet pet from this horror. Obviously this is a widespread issue since you can find hundred of similar reviews. As soon as our older dog was taken off the food he improved to normal. Hopefully damage to his kidneys is not permanent. DO NOT BUY THIS.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I bought Royal Canin on recommendation of my sister who has Frenchie that thrives on it very well in Europe. I bought it on Chewy. My 6 months old Boston Terrier female got instantly diarrhea that would last for one or two weeks. I couldn’t believe it is caused by high quality of dry food. So I after she got better I again tried a bit and again severe diarrhea. I have also a boy 5 month old Boston terrier, he didn’t have issues with the food and it looked he truly enjoys it. So I was thinking to feed him 15 kg bag while she must stay totally away from the Royal Canin Puppy food. I didn’t feel like throw away bag I paid for $80. But today also my boy threw up bunch of pellets I fed his day ago and they were totally not digested. I am thinking totally throw away Royal Canin Puppy food bag because it made my dogs very sick.

It prompted me to search reviewed and now I see I am not the only one. I feed Hill’s Science Diet puppy food and my dogs never had issues. I wanted to upgrade on recommendation for more expensive and what I thought higher quality food but I warn you all, Royal Canin Puppy is not an upgrade. I am not sure what’s wrong with that food, it even smelled good to me... looked darker like may have more meat content. What a shame it made my puppies sick snd now I need waste it worth of $80.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I have a mixed breed Border Collie cross dog and a Manx cat. On advice from my vet, my cat was put on Royal Canin Gastro intestinal high energy food because of his vomiting and diarrhea issues. My dog was put on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic because of his skin issues. After years, things did not get better. Both dog and cat were put on Royal Canin HP diets. Cat got worse and worse, lost 4 of his 9 pounds and dogs skin got so bad it cost me $950 in antibiotics, creams, ear and eye antibiotics. Nothing seemed to work. Finally I decided to put my cat on ZIWI Peak venison food and all of his gastro intestinal issues cleared up in ONE DAY!!! Put my dog on Zignature lamb formula dog food and his skin issues cleared up. STAY AWAY FROM ROYAL CANIN! It nearly killed my cat!!! Vets need to think beyond the Royal Canin Box!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

My 14 year old dog was diagnosed with very early stage renal failure. My vet placed him on the Royal Canin renal support food stating he had to be on a low protein diet. He had been on the food for 6 months when he started throwing up multiple times a day. His behavior started to change drastically, he started hiding under the beds often confused and extremely lethargic.

After multiple vet visits (blood work, ultrasounds, three rounds of antibiotics and a thousand dollars spent), they established he developed pancreatitis. The vet said this is caused by a high fat diet. When I told him the only thing my dog eats is the royal canin, he didn’t have much to say. My assumption was that the food was causing him to get sick. After switching him back to his old food he is back to his happy energetic self and has not thrown up since being taken off the food! From reading others’ similar experiences it seems their food is full of processed ingredients that creates more harm than good.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I have been feeding my cat the Royal canin hairball control for the past year which worked well. Unfortunately with the last bag I purchased I noticed that all 3 of my cats were having issues with their stool and vomiting. I also notice that they were not eating much of it. I had to end up taking one of my cats to the ER for not eating and straining to poop. After a bunch of test everything was normal. Because all three cats were having the same issue I thought maybe it was the food.

I called the company to report it and see if they have received any complaints. The customer service rep was so cold and I was told since I told since I no longer has to bag with the batch number nothing can be done and my complaint won't be send to quality control. No other resolution was offered and not even, "Is your cat ok" was offered. I just expected more from such a large company. I think maybe they should invest in other ways to track a batch number to an order as it is not usual for people to keep their feed in a container and not in the original bag.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

My pug Sophie has been RC Weight Control (Small Dogs) for the past 4 years and has been fine up until now. It started two weeks ago on a Monday – my dog started vomiting her undigested kibble (happened twice in 1 day), was fine for two days and then started vomiting up bile and her undigested kibble again the Thursday and Friday the first week of her being sick. In 1 week, I took my dog to the vet THREE TIMES. This is what happened:

First visit to the Vet on the Thursday:

- First blood test showed ELEVATED liver enzyme levels and low calcium levels. She was given anti-nausea medication and got scheduled for an xray for the day after.

Visit to the vet on the Friday:
    – Xrays ran clear and showed no blockages and or other physical issues with her GI/Liver/ etc.
    – She was put on another brand of medicated dog food (wet food) and hasn't been vomiting since

– Was prescribed liver supplements and antibiotics

Visit to the vet on the next Monday:

– Liver enzyme blood work was conducted and indicated her levels were all showing normal (this is after she was not eating RC for a few days).

After spending $1400, my vet was not able to give any conclusion as to what was going on with Sophie. I kept telling him that I think it was the food she was eating as now that she's stopped eating it, she's been getting better. I have also been doing my own research and have seen that RC has had a history of recalls in the past, 1 being excessive levels of Vitamin D.

When dogs have exposure to high levels of Vitamin D (taken from the FDA) "Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that helps dogs regulate the balance and retention of calcium and phosphorus. However, extremely high levels of vitamin D can cause serious health problems. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, so unlike water-soluble vitamins, when a dog – or other animal - gets too much, the excess is not rapidly excreted in his or her urine. Instead, it’s stored in fat tissue and the liver. Excessive vitamin D can lead to kidney failure and even death."

Sophie's initial blood work was showing LOW CALCIUM and elevated liver enzymes. I have been reading reviews on other websites about the latest batches of RC food and multiple other pet owners have been reporting the same issues with their pets (vomiting, diarrhea, etc) with food they purchased last year all the way up to December of 2020.

The last 2 bags of RC dog food I purchased from my vet were in December of 2020 and have a date/lot number of 05MAY2022 and is manufactured in Guelph, ON. Has RC recently changed the formulation? If so, why has it not been made public? Does RC not realize the health implications of what a change in food formulation can have on a pet's system? It can cause serious illness and even death. I am writing this extensive but needed review as I believe your the latest production batches are contaminated and need to be investigated and put on a RECALL.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I took my dog to the vet because she had intermittent soft stools, she recommended the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal food that only vets sell. Immediately l noticed that my dog’s eyes would tear up every time my dog ate the food. I thought she had a sore tooth, took back to the vet, her teeth were fine. Soon l realized her soft stool had gone from being once every couple of days to every day, every bowel movement. I looked up the eye-tearing issue and found many sites and blogs that all gave the same answer - something in the food was inflaming my dog’s gut while she ate, and was most likely wheat, which is a common sensitivity for dogs.

l checked the ingredients list and sure enough wheat was listed on the bag. I had to go back to the vet and spend $400 on digestive supplements to rectify my dog’s inflamed gut. When l contacted the company to ask for a refund for the food based on the fact that gastro food should not contain a common dog allergen their response was that no one else who purchased food from this numbered lot had submitted a complaint so they weren’t concerned that their product was the issue, and tried to blame a separate health issue for my dog’s symptoms that only occurred when she ate their food.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information