2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.34/5

Royal Canin sells breed and life stage tailored nutritional dog and cat food products in veterinary clinics and retail stores throughout the United States. The company has more than 200 formulas on the market, which lets owners find dry and wet pet food for a variety of dog and cat breeds and sizes.

BOTTOM LINE

Royal Canin is a pet food line for healthy dogs and cats as well as those with specific health issues. The company has a wide range of products, but the food may not be suitable for pets with grain allergies.

PROS

• Real ingredients
  • Money-back policy
  • Vast selection

CONS

• Some formulas pricey
  • Grain-free not available

Top Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

I have had excellent results with Royal Canin. The customer service is fantastic and they are always willing to answer my questions. … I appreciate the science and extensive research behind their company and products. … I am happy to say that their food has always been consistent in quality...

This particular brand was recommended by my vet. I have a toy breed to the one for toy breeds is a small kibble which makes it easier for my dog to eat. This brand also seems to be more palatable to her. I have tried other brands but she doesn't seem to like them.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Royal Canin diets

Royal Canin makes each recipe with natural antioxidants, vitamins, fiber, prebiotics, and minerals that dogs and cats need. The company uses corn in its formulas, which is controversial for some pet owners. It offers multiple products to suit a variety of pets.

Royal Canin dog food

• Pure-breed dogs
  • Dogs by size
  • Puppies
  • Aging and senior dogs
  • Skin and food sensitivities
  • Urinary health, kidney health and digestive health
  • Weight management
  • Diabetes support

Royal Canin cat food

• Pure-breed cats
  • Healthy cats of different ages and lifestyles
  • Kittens
  • Aging and senior cats
  • Skin and food sensitivities
  • Urinary health, kidney health, digestive health
  • Weight management
  • Diabetes support
  • Cats with specific care needs

The company offers a Palatability Guarantee with support from its retail partners that offers a 100% money-back guarantee on all Royal Canin products. This lets you return the food for a refund if your pet refuses to eat it.

Royal Canin dog food prices

Royal Canin costs vary based on several factors, including the type of food selected and the breed, size and age of the pet. Royal Canin is available dry or wet in bags, pouches and cans. At the time of publishing, a 30-pound bag of Royal Canin’s Medium Adult Dry Dog Food was just more than $60 from Chewy, while the company’s canned puppy food was listed at just over $15 for a pack of six cans.

Royal Canin cat food

royal canin dry cat food

SHOP ON CHEWY
Logo

Royal Canin dog food

royal canin dry dog food

SHOP ON CHEWY

Coupons or discounts may be available through your veterinarian or preferred retailer.

Royal Canin FAQ

Is Royal Canin dog food on the recall list?
Royal Canin has announced the voluntary nationwide recall of some of its products before. The last recall was in 2007 and applied to several of its dry dog food offerings.
Is Royal Canin food good for dogs?
Royal Canin is a popular choice for many pet owners, and many customers report their dogs like it. It does use fillers, however, and may have the occasional presence of animal byproducts. Talk to your veterinarian to see if Royal Canin is a good choice for your pet.
Do vets recommend Royal Canin?
Recommendations for specific pet food brands vary by veterinarian. Some strongly recommend Royal Canin, while others may have another brand they endorse.
Is Royal Canin really breed specific?
Royal Canin offers tailored nutrition for specific dog breeds. The company combines scientific and nutritional research with breed-specific traits to create a precise diet for your pup. Royal Canin sells cat food for American shorthair, Persians, Japanese bobtails and others as well as dog food for labradors, poodles, pugs, chihuahuas and others.
Who carries Royal Canin dog food?
Royal Canin is sold at national pet store chains, big-box grocery stores and on Amazon. The brand can sometimes be found in local pet stores and agriculture stores. A full list of retailers that carry the brand is available on the Royal Canin website.
What company owns Royal Canin?
Royal Canin is owned by Mars Chocolat France SAS, whose parent organization is Mars, Inc.

Is Royal Canin a good dog food?

Royal Canin can be a great choice for pet owners looking for breed-specific dog or cat food and those who want pet food designed for specific health issues. Because one of the ingredients used is corn, however, some pet owners choose not to purchase Royal Canin. Additionally, the company doesn’t offer grain-free options for dogs and cats with grain allergies. If you like the price and the brand is accessible to you, we think Royal Canin is worth a try for pure-breed pets and those with health needs, including diabetes support or digestive relief.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: June 29, 2020

Like many other reviews state.. I have been battling with my little maltese over diarrhea. At first we thought she ate something off the ground and we went to the vet for probiotic and a rice diet. She almost immediately got better, but as soon as I introduced her Royal Canin back, the diarrhea and mucus stool came back. Switched to rice again, she got better again. Royal Canin introduced, and her diarrhea immediately began! They definitely switched formulas and thanks to this website, I found others reporting the same thing! So for the past week, she switched to Merrick Small Breed Healthy Grains and not to be gross, but her stool has been perfect and healthier than ever. Her behavior is back to normal and I could not be happier. BUYER BEWARE. Stay away from this food. The transition to Merrick was great and I highly recommend it as an alternative option. (I'm in no way affiliated with Merrick, just grateful to find a better alternative.)

Original review: June 5, 2020

We have spent a few hundreds of dollars over the past 7-8 months between the Vet who didn't seem to know what was wrong with our 13 yr old Red Maine Coon Male. Used to weigh 16.5lbs, drinking a lot of water. No diabetes, no signs of anything. Months later and vet visits later (blood tests not called back to tell results) I called & looked at results myself. I finally got the vet to call & was told to put Him on Renal diet. Drove to vet office & bought 17 2.9oz cans of Hills Prescription Diet KD chicken & vegetable stew for over almost $2 a can. I still have I bunch of them. Tried mixing them with his regular other foods etc... Every once in awhile I got him to eat a small amount doing that. Tried the variety pack & that ended up in the garbage. No returns on 'script food where I bought it.

Now I read the returns section at websites. Bought Purina NF from their site and my cat won't touch it. They refunded no problem / no return. I can donate to a shelter but I still try to get him to eat by mixing it with his other food. I have tried multiple brands, multiple OTC (as we'd call it) that were higher in phosphorus then should be but he has to eat or go into liver failure & die. So, I contacted vets here and none of them carried the Royal Canin for me to just buy 1 can to see if he would eat it. Ended up all the Vets (especially since Covid19 & closures) quit buying Royal Canin.

Seems they cater more to dogs than cats. Very disappointed. I see all the bad reviews on here for Royal Canin for dogs. I happen to have finally found a food that my cat will eat! He loves the most expensive Renal brand you can buy & I was only able to find it at one website in 30z cans. The D fomula. They also have the T or is it E in 3 oz. I will be trying that one next but until then Royal Canin has been a most welcome wonderful item to have found. Now I just need to find a vet that has a clue but with the lockdown it's almost impossible as they will not allow you inside with our pet.

My Maine Coon is a gentle soul & needs us with him. I usually don't write reviews of this nature but I had to after seeing all the bad ones for the dog food product. I can only attest that this product is great & being 3oz is perfect. He certainly cannot eat the 5oz. Such a waste of product for a cat. Royal Canin needs to make all their canned dietary foods in 3oz.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2020

We switched to RC Urinary SO a few months ago since Hills Prescription Diet was no longer being sold at our vet. BIG MISTAKE. One of our cats was recently rushed to the vet hospital in our neighbourhood after he fainted. He then went into septic shock and we couldn't figure out why. A week later our other cat begins to vomit and have diarrhea after eating his food. Both cats were lethargic, vomiting and overall, not doing very well. After spending over $4000 bringing our cats in to try and figure out what was going on, we realized it must be from their food. Sure enough after reading countless reviews of cats vomiting, excessive diarrhea and some even death, we realized it was their Royal Canin Urinary SO food.

We have also learned that they recently changed something in their ingredients which I'm assuming is why our cats fell sick since we've used this product for a few months now. We are absolutely OUTRAGED with this company's negligence in putting their product out there when there are so many reviews from people clearly stating there is something wrong with the food. We are also angry that they would change their product and not advise consumers. Shame on you Royal Canin. You almost killed both of our cats and cost us a fortune in vet bills because you refuse to accept your mistake. I will never use any of your products and I will never recommend it.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I have a toy schnauzer who is almost 5 years old. My vet put my dog on this dog food 6 months ago and he became so much healthier. Complete different dog. I thought finally success. Then I just ordered a new bag thru Chewy and the minute I started to feed it to him all of a sudden he got diarrhea. So I stopped it and started with rice and ground beef for a few days. I knew he was getting better because he wasn't having accidents all over the house so I started working back into his diet a few dry food pebbles at a time.

His diarrhea started up a little but I thought he just needed more protein to get it to harden again. The more I gave him in the next few days the sicker he became. Severe case of diarrhea but worse. So I called my vet and told her. She said to stop giving him the Royal Canin Dog food that it could be a bad batch. Once I stopped giving him the Selected Protein he completely stopped the diarrhea. She suggested to get another bag but after reading all these complaints I am too scared to reorder the bag.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I'm a first-time pet owner. My 3-month-old puppy died last evening (May 22, 2020). I was advised to give Royal Canine food by the breeder who sold the dog to me. My puppy has been on Royal Canine Maxi Starter Dog food (South Africa bag) for over two weeks since his arrival to my home. He was having loose motion episodes, vomiting and bloody stools. I come across this post on Facebook saying that "Don't feed Royal Canine and it is killing puppies" and got shocked as my puppy had all the symptoms which was recorded in that post by several users. I immediately stopped Royal Canine and put him on a different food. But I think it was too late as he already consumed that hazardous Royal Canine food for more than two weeks. He became inactive and eventually stopped eating anything and didn't have drinking water as well.

Three days before his death, he started making whining sounds and was in severe pain. I took him to hospital and found his blood levels were too low and he was anemic. They advised for a blood transfusion and to know the exact root cause for the reason behind his pain, they also told to PCR tests. I did 9 PCR tests and all came as negative. Before we could do a blood transfusion my puppy died in the hospital and it was a painful death for him. I had no clue what could have gone wrong and was grieving by blaming myself. I come across this Facebook post again few hours ago this morning (May 23rd, 2020) a day after my puppy's death. Users (breeders who have been regular users of RC over 10 years) in that post have reported puppies are becoming anemic and blood production stops. The exact same thing happened to my puppy.

Now at least I know the reason for his death as he was super active when he first came in and his health deteriorated after putting him on this Royal Canine Maxi Starter Dog Food (Country of Origin: South Africa Bag, Manufactured by: INDE 1292355) which finally took my puppy away from me. He was just a 3-month-old baby and he's already gone without seeing the world. Many more pet parents have lost their puppies and breeders have lost the whole litters. This needs to stop! Royal Canine need to be sued and I'm ready to take legal actions. Please refrain from using the product which I have mentioned earlier if you want your puppy to live. Royal Canine needs to answer for all the lost souls!! The poor fur babies can't speak and they're suffering a painful death. At least the other puppies out there must be saved by raising our voices on behalf of them.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I have been feeding my British Shorthair (8 years old) Royal Canin wet and dry cat food for years. Until recently he has been fine but for the Past month has been vomiting straight after eating the wet cat food. The vomit is whole undigested food. I am thinking RC must have changed the recipe because he has never done this before. He has also been drinking more lately. He does not vomit after eating a different brand. Has anyone else had this problem? I will be contacting them to give them a chance to explain!

Original review: May 3, 2020

My silky terrier use to love this food. Our last order was in Feb of 2020. We open the 17 lbs bag ($60 dollars) and notice it was oilier and has a slightly different size. Our dog eat one bowl and did not want any more. Our dog started to get sick shortly after that. Unfortunatly, she died on May 1, 2020. I don't want to say it was this food, but before she ate this new order she was fine. You be the judge, good luck.

Original review: May 3, 2020

After many years of eating urinary SO dog food my dog has started to get diarrhea, having difficulty holding urine, and will only eat a bite and then refuses to eat remainder of food. I bulk buy the good and this all started after receiving cans of food with the new label. They must have changed something else in the recipe in manufacturing. Working with my vet to find a new brand. Shame on Royal Canin. From all the other reviews for the same issues they have to know there is a problem and not fixing it.

Original review: April 29, 2020

We have fed our Boxer Royal Canin Boxer (on the advice of our vet) since he was officially out of his puppy stage (14 months). During that time, he has been struck with seemingly random bouts of explosive diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. Each time had been preceded by the opening of a new bag of Royal Canin - but we figured it must have been something else, the dog run, other dogs, something he snapped up on the street, etc.

But now that we are all lockdown - all the other factors have been eliminated - the one constant is the food. We opened a new bag last night, fed him a few cups as usual, and by this morning he had explosive diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. As noted by many other reviewers, this seems to be a trend in the absence of quality control in Royal Canin's products. We will be returning this bag of trash to PetsMart and strongly encouraging the vet to change their recommendation regarding this brand of food. Stay away from this product and avoid gambling with your pet's health.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I have had excellent results with Royal Canin. The customer service is fantastic and they are always willing to answer my questions. Furthermore they are very knowledgeable about all their products and are more than willing to provide you with nutrient values or even relay a full guaranteed analysis to your veterinarian to discuss any questions or concerns that a pet owner or vet may have. This is something that I cannot say about a lot of other companies. (Probably most) I appreciate the science and extensive research behind their company and products. I use the breed specific formula for my Cavalier, as well as various canned food formulas and I am happy to say that their food has always been consistent in quality from batch to batch.

I have never had any quality control issues with Royal Canin, regarding their products. I am also very grateful for their ziplock feature on all their bags. (even bigger bags) This is a very important feature to have that most companies do not provide. Having a ziplock on your bag ensures that your pet food will stay fresh up until the bag is finished. A chip clip alone, will not adequately protect the food from oxidizing. Their bags are also made with very durable material to prevent rips and tears from occurring. I have yet to revive a bag that was torn or perforated in any way. I would say that Royal Canin, absolutely goes above and beyond as far as quality, attention to detail, good customer service and providing pet food that is of excellent nutrition. I would highly recommend this company.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information