1.28/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

498 Royal Canin Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I will start out by saying that I have been feeding my sweet Yorkie RC for the past 4 years. When I recently purchased a new bag and fed it to him in the past few weeks we saw a significant change in him. He began to vomit, have diarrhea and had little energy or interest. The vet told us to stop feeding him the food and to give him chicken and rice (which he loved). We saw a slight improvement but he was still very lethargic. I can't believe I'm writing this to say that we found him dead this morning!!! We are beyond sad that our fur baby has passed. We also feel that this "new formula" RC was the reason for this... Especially after reading all the recent reviews about other dogs being sick from a new bag. Please do not buy this food... I don't want anyone to feel as I do this morning.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had a 13 year old dachshund who was on low fat GI dry dog food for about 4 years. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis. He did well on this food until the end of November 2018 - beginning of December 2018. I was getting ready to go out of town and just thought he was upset that I was leaving. He started to throw up his food and then didn't want to eat. While I was out of town he became lethargic. Wouldn't eat. And was drinking a lot. Then few days later mucus was coming out of mouth. Family took to emergency vet. And blood work showed very high kidney function.

The vet misdiagnosed him. Sending him home with fluids and antibiotics. Less than 10 hours later he passed away on his bed! The next emergency vet that he was taken to when deceased said he had bleeding ulcers in mouth due to kidney failure. I had 2 other dogs on SO formula food and immediately took them off. I do not trust this brand of dog food. My dachshund was doing fine up until all this. Wondering if this brand of dog food will be in the dog food recall with FDA?

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I breed Pomeranians and have been a dog breeder for almost 10 years. I have whelped and raised 12 litters of small dogs. We always used Royal Canin for our puppies, because it's the only food that is super small. This last litter was born on 12/3/18 and we started feeding them Royal Canin Xsmall the same day we dewormed them. Naturally, I thought the diarrhea was from the wormer. Two puppies went home on Saturday, January 12th. They did have slight diarrhea, but I had just wormed them again for their owners. One of the puppies started vomiting up foam and pooping his brains out. The other puppy's owner is feeding raw and so he hasn't had any dog food and his poop has been soft but not diarrhea.

We kept one puppy and she has always refused the Royal Canin so we give her Iams and her poop is solid. I 100% believe it is the food causing the illness, but I do not recommend giving it to them another time to find out. This is unacceptable. The people who bought my puppies deserve happy and healthy dogs. They do not deserve to be kept up all night because dog food companies can't get their crap together!!!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I always purchase Royal Canin Medium Starter for my three pets, two Shihtzu and one Siberian Husky. My Shihtzu started losing Weight as his age is 9 months only, he is suffering from diarrhea and stomach pain. But unfortunately, I found worms in a packet!! When I opened seal pack packet of Royal Canin, I found so many white worms in the food. It’s a worst experience for me after buying Royal Canin. This must be close in all over India. I will file a case against them that they are giving poison food in the market and our dogs are suffering from many diseases only because of them.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I had an Airedale Terrier 14 years old. She’s been eating the gastrointestinal food for a few years. In October she got very ill, throwing up and diarrhea. She got very lethargic and started to lose function and her back legs. She went to the vet and was prescribed antibiotics and canned Royal Canin food. She refused to eat the dry food. She was starting to eat the canned food and then refused. She was getting sicker so I just started giving her chicken and rice and she gobbled that up. In the meantime my Maltese Shih Tzu was eating the same food. She started to have diarrhea and throw up. I thought she was getting sick too never thinking it was the food. She stopped eating the dry food and would only eat the chicken and rice.

In the meantime I had given my mother some dog food and her dog a few weeks later started with bloody diarrhea and throwing up blood. It’s too much of a coincidence that all three dogs got a virus. The only thing in common was the dog food and actually some Royal Canin cookies. There has to be something wrong and tainted with the dog food. I called up Chewy.com and Royal Canin and they told me they haven’t had any complaints. I will be sending this food in to be tested and I’m taking my dog off of it immediately. Sadly my Airedale passed away four weeks after she got sick. In my opinion, this food needs to be recalled and taken off the shelves. There definitely is something wrong with this food!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My two cats had both been eating Royal Canin happily since 2010, but in 2016 something definitely happened to the food, and it suddenly started making animals very sick. My smaller cat ended up nearly dying of pancreatitis, and after several nights in intensive care she required different medications every 2 hours for a fortnight, and subcutaneous fluid injections, plus forced feeding of nutrient-rich electrolyte broth and a "convalescent cat" soup. She recovered, many were not so lucky.

When I talked to a girl who worked at the local pet shop about my cat's sudden illness, she alerted me to many (at that time recent) stories of animals (both dogs and cats) poisoned by Royal Canin foods - both kibble and cans, including puppy and kitten formulas. Investigation and analysis of some of the kibble and cans that had led to diarrhoea, epileptic-type fits, sudden collapse and even death found that they contained rancid oils. This certainly explains the pancreatitis, and possibly all the other problems. But Royal Canin seems to have done nothing about it except cover up the problem.

I am very shocked and saddened to see that two and a half years later people are having the same problems and their beloved pets getting sick or dying because of this poisonous food! When I spoke to the vet about it, they didn't want to hear, so I changed to another vet. But the pet shop stopped stocking Royal Canin and recommended a number of UK-made grain-free and organic high-quality kibbles and canned foods.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Our little Calvalier King Charles Spaniel developed a UTI and the vet recommended the Royal Canin SO formula. Within a month she started having trouble walking and could not climb stairs. After taking her off the food, within two days there is marked improvement in her walking and she can go up and down stairs. She still cannot jump but the improvement is dramatic. Do not know what is in the SO formula that could cause this but there is no other explanation.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Our Spaniel had crystals in her urine so the vet put her on Royal Canin SO to dissolve them. After about 4 weeks, she suffered from weakness in her legs, vomiting, and coughing. The vet said she could find nothing wrong. Now, 6 weeks later, she can no longer hop up onto the couch at all (we have to pick her up and carry her down to the floor) or climb up and down stairs without help. We took her off of Royal Canin SO for 3 days and she can now go up and down stairs on her own; although, by evening she needs a little help. We are still putting her on and off the couch; however, she is at least trying to jump up on her own and her hind legs are clearly stronger. We threw out the leftover food... We were going to put it out for the feral cats, but why cause them to have health problems? We will never buy Royal Canin again.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My Yorkie had gastrointestinal problem then came down with kidney failure problem... Stopped feeding the high protein crap making it worse... Went back to home cooked meals and is recovered! They lie, lie, lie... Feed your dog/cat what you eat but without the salt spices. Dog food companies are killing our pets to make profits! No treats foods from 'China' are worth the pain and shortened lives of our pets. Especially to protect them! Take 20 minutes to feed healthy human food!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My cat was on this food for a few years and then all of the sudden he started to have severe vomiting and diarrhea episodes even though nothing had changed. We immediately took him to vet, though they stated there were no issues with him. I started wondering if the formula for the selected protein food had changed. When I emailed support, they SWORE up and down that there was no formulation changes in any capacity.

Months passed, he progressively got sicker and sicker, my vet kept saying nothing was wrong even though I started realizing my cat's symptoms seemed like kidney issues (diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, excessive thirst, etc), but his blood levels were ok. Meanwhile, my cat was losing weight in scary amounts. We weren't switching his food because prior to the selected protein food, he basically looked bald because he's allergic to other foods. This was the food that had helped him before so we assumed that it was just him being sick. Unfortunately, we now know it's what caused him to get sick.

FINALLY, after months passing 3 ultrasounds, 6 blood tests, 2 echos (I know...) they said his kidney levels seemed off and there was clearly something wrong because his weight dropped from 15 to 10 pounds. He was diagnosed with kidney disease, we were told to just feed him ANYTHING he would eat and now have to IV him. The moment we started feeding him new food he started shoveling it down. Gained 2 pounds almost immediately. Our vet then told us to go back to selected protein since again, he was chewing/scratching his hair off. We switched back, thinking that it was because he was sick that this was all happening, thinking that all the stuff about the food was in our heads.

Even with all of the medicines and IVs, the cat stopped eating... again... lost even more weight, now 9.5 pounds, and his kidney levels got even WORSE. This time we just knew it had to be the food. We threw it out immediately, picked a minimal ingredient brand from pet store that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and he started eating again immediately. His levels improved within a week and he's back up over 11 pounds and continuing to go up. I'm sorry but that isn't a coincidence. There's something in the food that is toxic and it happened when they changed the formula, even though they're saying they didn't. So disappointing. Please don't put your baby on this stuff.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We changed our Husky food from puppy to adult and have since been plagued by vomit and diarrhea. Every time our dog has an episode, we feed him rice, pumpkin and beef and he gets better. When we reintroduce Royal Canin, the issue starts again. Our house will need the carpets professionally cleaned, we have vet's bills and a 30 lb bag of poison. We have missed nights of sleep, taking our dog outside multiple times during the night all the while thinking we were doing good by our dog. It's 3 am, I am on doggy duty and finally saw the reviews below. Calling the vet in the morning to let them know not to promote this poison. Our poor doggy didn't want to eat this food to begin with. There is something nasty in it.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We have a healthy 5 yr GERMAN SHEPHERD. There is something wrong with RC wet GSD formula. Immediately after he eats 1/2 can and same brand dry food he vomits profusely including any water he drank. We stopped for four weeks. Switched to Science dry food and poached chicken. No problems. Yesterday and today introduced GSD 1/2 can last night and same this morning with regular Science dry food. I found last night's dinner thrown up in bonus room this morning and he just vomited in another room less than an hour after eating. Something is seriously wrong with this food. They must have switched or sourced different ingredients. It looks like this food was made in Mexico? OMG I’m keeping the two opened cans and 3 more to get tested. This is terrible. Thank goodness our dog is ok.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I've been feeding my cats high quality wet food exclusively for years. My beautiful Mama Cat had been doing well over the last year with supportive treatment for small cell GI lymphoma. When Mama Cat suddenly went from chronic constipation to non-stop diarrhea, I called the vet and Mama Cat was prescribed Royal Canin Feline Gastrointestinal dry food. Mama Cat died after eating only a little of the new food - within 24 hours. Mama Cat is in heaven now and I am grateful for the time I was blessed with her. I was very sad, just trying to keep my home running after Mama Cat passed away, and I didn't think twice about giving my other cats Mama's prescription dry food. ***That was a big mistake***

One of my other girls is very sensitive and she immediately vomited the Royal Canin food. Again, I did not see the connection and continued to feed the Royal Canin food. My little girl got more and more sick, drinking several quarts of water in one day and she was lethargic. When I switched back to the wet food that has served us so well (Weruva wet cat food), my little girl was back to herself in less than 24 hours; no vomiting, drinking normally and feisty as ever. I now believe the Royal Canin Feline Gastrointestinal dry food killed one already sick cat and made a healthy cat sick. I have no proof of this but if others are having similar experience, we must speak up, be heard and support one another. Peace be with you and your fur babies.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have two pugs, one 3 year old and one 4 month puppy. I have been feeding my older pug Royal Canin for a few months because of the positive reviews I saw online. I eventually switched my puppy onto the puppy brand too. They did good for a month or so, no issues at all. But just like everyone else, both of my pugs started getting diarrhea. They were both up multiple times during the night for a few days. We had them start eating chicken and rice to help their stomachs, thinking they maybe ate something they shouldn’t have.

We started feeding them their food again once their poops hardened back up... wouldn’t ya know they were up all night again that night with diarrhea. Sad that they were on two different types of Royal Canin food and they both were getting diarrhea, meaning it’s due to the formula, not just a ‘bad bag’. We switched them to a completely different brand and they are both good to go and sleeping thru the night again! Definitely avoiding Royal Canin forever...

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Royal Canin is terrible and I have a bone to pick with the food they sell. The food that's sold by most vets' offices is by big business. The same big business that makes large donations to vet schools so they can be in charge of the vet school's nutrition classes. This is why Royal Canin is recommended at every vet's office. It's a prescription food monopoly and no one seems to know or care. Royal Canin has cheap terrible ingredients and I'm sick of everyone in the vet industry selling them.

My cat gets urinary blockages (which are a life threatening emergency) and he has to be on Royal Canin "Urinary SO." The side effects are that he throws up and gets allergic skin breakouts. His fur also dulls and he gets dandruff. Ingredients include brewers' rice, chicken byproduct, and gluten cornmeal. These ingredients have no business being in my cat's food. I've been told there's no alternative. Therefore, he's just going to have to have a $70 steroid injection once every other week for the rest of his life to deal with the food's side effects. Absolutely ridiculous. It just seems insane that no one can come up with a solution here. I don't want him on a harsh steroid his entire life but I also know blockages are painful and life-threatening.

I tried to write a bad review on the Royal Canin page and it magically got deleted and I was never contacted by anyone. Amazing how on THEIR website shows all 5 star reviews. Such a shady company. You’d think for $50 a bag they’d have healthier stuff. Shape up Royal Canin!!! Going to check a holistic vet out next and talk to a pet nutritionist. Hate this brand of food!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

After the first two years of his life eating only Royal Canin brand dog food my dog is now ill from the newest bag of Royal Canin mini adult dry dog food we purchased from Chewy.com. I also noticed the food has a different stinky-smelly odor than before. I am now online reading reviews about animals with similar illness issues and statements that Royal Canin changed their formula. My opinion is it was negligent for Royal Canin to knowingly sell food that had even the slightest chance it would make animals sick. I will never purchase the Royal Canin brand again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I was recommended this brand by the vet for my 8 year old Schnauzer. He was put on the gastrointestinal low fat food and ever since he started taking the food he became very ill. His diarrhea was bloody with mucus, he seemed very lethargic and all he did was lay down. For about a month, I was on and off with this issue. Took him to the vet and they couldn’t find anything severe - just that he might’ve had ate something that causes stress in his intestines. Well, he was given antibiotics and antidiarrhea probiotics. Then Just to test my theory, I took him off that food two days ago started giving him a bland diet with boiled chicken and white rice. And he seems to be doing A LOT better. Thanks for messing up my dog, you ROYAL PIECES OF **.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Decided to try this dog food because the reviews online were so good for it. It immediately made our dog Zoey sick. Our dog is a 16 lb, 9-year old Schnoodle. She got horrible diarrhea first. Then she seems to have gotten hemorrhoids or some type of sore and has thrown up. Took her off the dog food. May need to take her to the vet if she doesn't get better soon.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My dogs have been on Royal Canin for almost a year. I noticed it first in my Pug, she didn’t want to eat the food and had loose stools but my Lab seemed okay. I switched her off of it and she is fine. However, now my big boy is having diarrhea and vomiting. We pulled his food for 24 hours and then gave him home cooked chicken, he was good. Then started him back on the Royal Canin and the diarrhea and vomiting started again. I found all the reviews on here stating the same issues. So I am pulling him completely off of the Royal Canin and will not buy it again.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been feeding my Yorkie, Sophie the Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier dog food basically since the day I got her which was 5 years ago. She is now 7 years old and suddenly about a month ago she started having serious diarrhea issues. I took her to the vet along with a stool sample and there appeared to be nothing medically wrong. He gave her a tube of probiotics and a anti-diarrheal which helped for a small period of time, then the diarrhea came back. I racked my brain as to what the cause could be. Yesterday on a whim, I decided I would try a different food since I couldn't pinpoint any other cause.

This morning I just happened to do an internet search and found all these other reviews which has hit me like a brick. I am so upset that a food I had been feeding for 5 years with no issue suddenly now has caused her to be so sick. I'm just glad I caught it in time. The remainder of the Royal Canin I have at home is going in the garbage and I will not be purchasing any in the future!!! This food is too expensive to have caused her to be so sick without any information disseminated as a warning that the company has changed its ingredients out of the blue. Please heed these reviews and if your dog has vomiting or diarrhea discontinue using this food. Dog food is not supposed to make your dog sick!!! I wish I could have given 0 (zero) stars but the system won't allow that, therefore it shows 1 star which in this case is not accurate at all - this is a 0 (zero) star review!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Recently we opened a new back of Medium size adult dry dog food Royal Canin. We have been using this food for over 8 months with no issue and now they have severe diarrhea that is uncontrollable. The manufacture date code is 18249002. We were not sure what was causing it but it is the first time either of them have had these issues. We will bring the bag back to PetSmart. These reviews now help everything make more sense. All started about 2 days after opening this back.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I am so thankful to have been able to read these reviews. We have a 7 month old Yorkie/Pom mix little boy named Timber. We were told by a vet that Royal Canin was a GREAT puppy food for our baby. Suddenly his stools became let’s just say not so good then he started with the mucus type diarrhea as well as vomiting. Took him in and was put on antibiotics and a bland diet for a few days. Started introducing him back to puppy food his Royal Canin only to be back in the same exact boat. Back up in the middle of the night with diarrhea. So grateful for all the reviews I read on here because I lay awake trying to figure out what is wrong with him. So if I could have given ZERO stars for this dog food I would have. It’s crazy that pretty much every review is the exact same issues. Again Thank You. Here’s to healthy and happy fur babies. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

My GSD was doing wonderful on Royal Canin PV (Venison), then they switched their formula to CRAP. I went back to Royal Canin Ultamino (the least harsh on the GUI and MOST expensive of their food) and my dog is having horrible rashes and ear problems. Does anyone know of a better brand? At least NOT Royal Canin? So sad they went from such a wonderful brand to something I wouldn't feed to a rabid animal.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Our 3 Chihuahuas have been on the Royal Canin for over 10 years. They LOVED it and could not wait to eat. We had to get them puzzle bowls so they would not eat so fast. Got a new bag recently and the dogs sniff and will not touch it. When they did finally eat because they had skipped meals and were hungry, they vomited within 15 minutes of eating the food. Their stools, which were always firm with the old formula now diarrhea. One of my boys had diarrhea to the point where there was blood in it. Had to take him to emergency vet, with an IV for fluids since he had not been eating or drinking. Throwing away nearly full bag and looking for a new brand that is not TOXIC. Will be spending the next week or so making bland food for the pups to get their digestion back to normal. HORRIBLE change!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Our English Bulldog has been on Royal Canin for the past 4 years. He has been on the Weight loss food for almost 1 year. With this most recent bag, we are having the same issues everyone else below stated. He usually would dance around, so happy for his food, now he walks to it slowly and just stares at it. Not his usual self at all.

On a more terrifying note, I have NEVER heard him whine or yelp in pain (even when someone steps on his foot by accident or when he runs into a wall from being so clumsy). He all of a sudden started screaming in pain any time he would move. It was absolutely horrible. Went to the vet and everything was normal. The only solution the vet could come up with was maybe he ate too big of a portion of food (the weight food expands pretty dramatically once in the stomach). So we cut him back even though he had never had this issue before with the same serving. Now he is screaming in pain again even with the smaller serving. I am definitely switching his food today! I agree with a few of the previous reviews that it seems something has happened recently with Royal Canin. Very odd that everyone’s pets are having issues after being on the food for years.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Angry! So angry! We just brought home our new companion Rufus - 9 weeks old. It was breeders and vets advise to feed him the best - Royal Canin. Poor thing was thirsty ALL the time, lethargic, vomiting in mornings, diarrhea 6-8 times a day and then it turned into bloody diarrhea. Switched to chicken as soon as I noticed blood and Rufus was fine next morning. No drinking all day long, running in yard, keen to play and 3rd poop started to look more like it - no mucus, no blood traces, no whipped texture to poop. DO NOT LET YOUR PETS NEAR THIS TOXIC STUFF!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I had a sweet little sheltie who was 7 years old who I loved dearly. She had allergies so she had been eating the Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food for the last 2 or 3 years. She loved her Royal Canin food and would get so excited that she'd run in circles waiting for it. I bought a couple of cases of the canned Royal Canin HP about a month ago which she had been eating. About a week ago all of the sudden she smelled her food and would not eat it. I then tried feeding her other food but she would not eat that either. She vomited later that night. The next morning the process repeated itself where she would not eat yet still threw up. I was now very worried since she hadn't eaten in 2 days so the next morning I rushed her to a vet.

The vet performed blood work and told me her kidneys were failing and there was nothing he could do. He asked me if she had eaten anything poisonous and the only thing she had been eating was the Royal Canin HP food. I then took her to an animal hospital for a 2nd opinion and they confirmed the kidney problems but thought they could do something to help her so I checked her into that hospital. 2 days later the hospital informs me that in addition to the kidney problems she now had other complications to the point that I had to end her life 2 nights ago. It tore my heart out to have to let her go. I don't know specifically if the Royal Canin food was the cause but her symptoms matched what other reviewers have indicated and that was the only food I fed her. I wish I had the resources to have her food independently tested but I don't. I just wanted to share my experience so that people are aware.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I own two Shih-Tzus, an adult approx. 8 yrs. old, and a puppy 9 months old. They are fed Royal Canin Shih Tzu formula (dry) per vet and breeder recommendations, without incident until the past two weeks when I purchased new food. Both dogs became ill, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of energy, they smell the food and are refusing to eat! Dog food was purchased at PetSmart last week. I contacted Royal Canin USA 10/10/18 and customer rep stated they keep a sample of each batch manufactured and would check the batch sample. She suggested there may be a pin-point hole in the bag from shipping/handling and the dogs who have sharp sense of smell may detect something off!

She failed to mention that R.C. has recently made changes to dog food formulas; I learned this from reading the Consumer Affairs review etc. These dogs are "family", expensive, and I'm terribly concerned about their health after they've consumed food and become ill. Totally disgusted and disappointed with the response from Royal Canin USA who suggested returning the product to PetSmart for replacement!!! or refund. We're considering independent lab testing of this last bag purchased, to determine content and quality.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have used the dry Sensitive Digestion food for approximately 2 years with no problem until summer 2018 when both my pets would vomit after eating. This went on for several weeks intermittently. I wondered if they were eating too fast, as both are enthusiastic eaters. After eating this food and vomiting 5 times in one day, my cat became withdrawn and lethargic. I then FINALLY thought to question the food brand itself, which I had trusted because it was vet recommended, expensive and supposedly high quality. As soon as I changed to a different brand of food, the vomiting stopped. After reading several similar stories here, I am concerned that there may be a production issue or recent additive that is causing this reaction in several pets. Our beloved animals are vulnerable, dependent on us, and unable to tell us what is wrong. I will not be feeding them this product again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Just like the others had posted I had switched my dog to this food as a vet recommendation. Previously he had Orijen and Purina One with no issues. After a few weeks he started refusing the food. And then he started vomiting right after eating. Then he passed out in the yard after the last occurrence. Took him to the vet to have him evaluated. He's a 10 month old puppy who has always been healthy. He had swollen GI, high blood pressure, and as soon as we switched him to vet prescription food he started eating again. I thought it was a bad bag at first and opened the second bag I got for him, but the same thing started occurring. Thank you all who also posted the same experiences. This stuff is poison!!!

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information