1.68/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

482 Royal Canin Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I was recommended this brand by the vet for my 8 year old Schnauzer. He was put on the gastrointestinal low fat food and ever since he started taking the food he became very ill. His diarrhea was bloody with mucus, he seemed very lethargic and all he did was lay down. For about a month, I was on and off with this issue. Took him to the vet and they couldn’t find anything severe - just that he might’ve had ate something that causes stress in his intestines. Well, he was given antibiotics and antidiarrhea probiotics. Then Just to test my theory, I took him off that food two days ago started giving him a bland diet with boiled chicken and white rice. And he seems to be doing A LOT better. Thanks for messing up my dog, you ROYAL PIECES OF **.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Decided to try this dog food because the reviews online were so good for it. It immediately made our dog Zoey sick. Our dog is a 16 lb, 9-year old Schnoodle. She got horrible diarrhea first. Then she seems to have gotten hemorrhoids or some type of sore and has thrown up. Took her off the dog food. May need to take her to the vet if she doesn't get better soon.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My dogs have been on Royal Canin for almost a year. I noticed it first in my Pug, she didn’t want to eat the food and had loose stools but my Lab seemed okay. I switched her off of it and she is fine. However, now my big boy is having diarrhea and vomiting. We pulled his food for 24 hours and then gave him home cooked chicken, he was good. Then started him back on the Royal Canin and the diarrhea and vomiting started again. I found all the reviews on here stating the same issues. So I am pulling him completely off of the Royal Canin and will not buy it again.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been feeding my Yorkie, Sophie the Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier dog food basically since the day I got her which was 5 years ago. She is now 7 years old and suddenly about a month ago she started having serious diarrhea issues. I took her to the vet along with a stool sample and there appeared to be nothing medically wrong. He gave her a tube of probiotics and a anti-diarrheal which helped for a small period of time, then the diarrhea came back. I racked my brain as to what the cause could be. Yesterday on a whim, I decided I would try a different food since I couldn't pinpoint any other cause.

This morning I just happened to do an internet search and found all these other reviews which has hit me like a brick. I am so upset that a food I had been feeding for 5 years with no issue suddenly now has caused her to be so sick. I'm just glad I caught it in time. The remainder of the Royal Canin I have at home is going in the garbage and I will not be purchasing any in the future!!! This food is too expensive to have caused her to be so sick without any information disseminated as a warning that the company has changed its ingredients out of the blue. Please heed these reviews and if your dog has vomiting or diarrhea discontinue using this food. Dog food is not supposed to make your dog sick!!! I wish I could have given 0 (zero) stars but the system won't allow that, therefore it shows 1 star which in this case is not accurate at all - this is a 0 (zero) star review!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Recently we opened a new back of Medium size adult dry dog food Royal Canin. We have been using this food for over 8 months with no issue and now they have severe diarrhea that is uncontrollable. The manufacture date code is 18249002. We were not sure what was causing it but it is the first time either of them have had these issues. We will bring the bag back to PetSmart. These reviews now help everything make more sense. All started about 2 days after opening this back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I am so thankful to have been able to read these reviews. We have a 7 month old Yorkie/Pom mix little boy named Timber. We were told by a vet that Royal Canin was a GREAT puppy food for our baby. Suddenly his stools became let’s just say not so good then he started with the mucus type diarrhea as well as vomiting. Took him in and was put on antibiotics and a bland diet for a few days. Started introducing him back to puppy food his Royal Canin only to be back in the same exact boat. Back up in the middle of the night with diarrhea. So grateful for all the reviews I read on here because I lay awake trying to figure out what is wrong with him. So if I could have given ZERO stars for this dog food I would have. It’s crazy that pretty much every review is the exact same issues. Again Thank You. Here’s to healthy and happy fur babies. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

My GSD was doing wonderful on Royal Canin PV (Venison), then they switched their formula to CRAP. I went back to Royal Canin Ultamino (the least harsh on the GUI and MOST expensive of their food) and my dog is having horrible rashes and ear problems. Does anyone know of a better brand? At least NOT Royal Canin? So sad they went from such a wonderful brand to something I wouldn't feed to a rabid animal.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Our 3 Chihuahuas have been on the Royal Canin for over 10 years. They LOVED it and could not wait to eat. We had to get them puzzle bowls so they would not eat so fast. Got a new bag recently and the dogs sniff and will not touch it. When they did finally eat because they had skipped meals and were hungry, they vomited within 15 minutes of eating the food. Their stools, which were always firm with the old formula now diarrhea. One of my boys had diarrhea to the point where there was blood in it. Had to take him to emergency vet, with an IV for fluids since he had not been eating or drinking. Throwing away nearly full bag and looking for a new brand that is not TOXIC. Will be spending the next week or so making bland food for the pups to get their digestion back to normal. HORRIBLE change!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Our English Bulldog has been on Royal Canin for the past 4 years. He has been on the Weight loss food for almost 1 year. With this most recent bag, we are having the same issues everyone else below stated. He usually would dance around, so happy for his food, now he walks to it slowly and just stares at it. Not his usual self at all.

On a more terrifying note, I have NEVER heard him whine or yelp in pain (even when someone steps on his foot by accident or when he runs into a wall from being so clumsy). He all of a sudden started screaming in pain any time he would move. It was absolutely horrible. Went to the vet and everything was normal. The only solution the vet could come up with was maybe he ate too big of a portion of food (the weight food expands pretty dramatically once in the stomach). So we cut him back even though he had never had this issue before with the same serving. Now he is screaming in pain again even with the smaller serving. I am definitely switching his food today! I agree with a few of the previous reviews that it seems something has happened recently with Royal Canin. Very odd that everyone’s pets are having issues after being on the food for years.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Angry! So angry! We just brought home our new companion Rufus - 9 weeks old. It was breeders and vets advise to feed him the best - Royal Canin. Poor thing was thirsty ALL the time, lethargic, vomiting in mornings, diarrhea 6-8 times a day and then it turned into bloody diarrhea. Switched to chicken as soon as I noticed blood and Rufus was fine next morning. No drinking all day long, running in yard, keen to play and 3rd poop started to look more like it - no mucus, no blood traces, no whipped texture to poop. DO NOT LET YOUR PETS NEAR THIS TOXIC STUFF!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I had a sweet little sheltie who was 7 years old who I loved dearly. She had allergies so she had been eating the Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food for the last 2 or 3 years. She loved her Royal Canin food and would get so excited that she'd run in circles waiting for it. I bought a couple of cases of the canned Royal Canin HP about a month ago which she had been eating. About a week ago all of the sudden she smelled her food and would not eat it. I then tried feeding her other food but she would not eat that either. She vomited later that night. The next morning the process repeated itself where she would not eat yet still threw up. I was now very worried since she hadn't eaten in 2 days so the next morning I rushed her to a vet.

The vet performed blood work and told me her kidneys were failing and there was nothing he could do. He asked me if she had eaten anything poisonous and the only thing she had been eating was the Royal Canin HP food. I then took her to an animal hospital for a 2nd opinion and they confirmed the kidney problems but thought they could do something to help her so I checked her into that hospital. 2 days later the hospital informs me that in addition to the kidney problems she now had other complications to the point that I had to end her life 2 nights ago. It tore my heart out to have to let her go. I don't know specifically if the Royal Canin food was the cause but her symptoms matched what other reviewers have indicated and that was the only food I fed her. I wish I had the resources to have her food independently tested but I don't. I just wanted to share my experience so that people are aware.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I own two Shih-Tzus, an adult approx. 8 yrs. old, and a puppy 9 months old. They are fed Royal Canin Shih Tzu formula (dry) per vet and breeder recommendations, without incident until the past two weeks when I purchased new food. Both dogs became ill, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of energy, they smell the food and are refusing to eat! Dog food was purchased at PetSmart last week. I contacted Royal Canin USA 10/10/18 and customer rep stated they keep a sample of each batch manufactured and would check the batch sample. She suggested there may be a pin-point hole in the bag from shipping/handling and the dogs who have sharp sense of smell may detect something off!

She failed to mention that R.C. has recently made changes to dog food formulas; I learned this from reading the Consumer Affairs review etc. These dogs are "family", expensive, and I'm terribly concerned about their health after they've consumed food and become ill. Totally disgusted and disappointed with the response from Royal Canin USA who suggested returning the product to PetSmart for replacement!!! or refund. We're considering independent lab testing of this last bag purchased, to determine content and quality.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have used the dry Sensitive Digestion food for approximately 2 years with no problem until summer 2018 when both my pets would vomit after eating. This went on for several weeks intermittently. I wondered if they were eating too fast, as both are enthusiastic eaters. After eating this food and vomiting 5 times in one day, my cat became withdrawn and lethargic. I then FINALLY thought to question the food brand itself, which I had trusted because it was vet recommended, expensive and supposedly high quality. As soon as I changed to a different brand of food, the vomiting stopped. After reading several similar stories here, I am concerned that there may be a production issue or recent additive that is causing this reaction in several pets. Our beloved animals are vulnerable, dependent on us, and unable to tell us what is wrong. I will not be feeding them this product again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Just like the others had posted I had switched my dog to this food as a vet recommendation. Previously he had Orijen and Purina One with no issues. After a few weeks he started refusing the food. And then he started vomiting right after eating. Then he passed out in the yard after the last occurrence. Took him to the vet to have him evaluated. He's a 10 month old puppy who has always been healthy. He had swollen GI, high blood pressure, and as soon as we switched him to vet prescription food he started eating again. I thought it was a bad bag at first and opened the second bag I got for him, but the same thing started occurring. Thank you all who also posted the same experiences. This stuff is poison!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Thanks to everyone who recently posted their experience with Royal Canin dog food. I had opened a new bag of Royal Canin Large Breed puppy food for our Golden Doodle last week and we had a very similar experience to what I have read so far. Diarrhea multiple times a day including in the house even though she is house trained, vomiting and less energy. What sold it for me was all of the sudden she would not eat her food right away, when normally she would gobble it down as soon as I poured the food in her bowl. Long story short, I am looking for a new brand of dog food, and will not be buying Royal Canin again. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to post, as you definitely saved me what I am sure would have been many expensive Vet bills!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I am so glad that I came across this page and was able to read all of the reviews allowing me to put two and two together. My dachshunds have been eating RC for many years without incident. However have been sick for the last few weeks regurgitating after eating and upset stomachs which I have now narrowed down the timeline to when I started feeding from the latest bag. Lots of rands spent on vet bills and simply changing the food has solved the problem. No more sick dogs.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Bought a new bag of Royal Canin Urinary SO that my dog has been on for years. We didn't mix in the old with the new since it was the same brand/formula. Severe diarrhea started after a day and stopped when we fed him chicken and rice for 2 days and started again when we tried it again. When I went on-line to see if there was a recall I found all these other posts about diarrhea.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Hi, I have purchase Royal Canin Giant Puppy feed for my Neapolitan Mastiff. After 2 days of this feed, he started to have diarrhea. We didn't know the reason initially but in the noon, when I noticed worms in the package. I was shocked because this never happened earlier but there were too many worms inside this. I trusted this brand and wrote them emails but every mail bounced back due to incorrect id provided, and they are not even answering calls. PS: I had to rush to my vet and give our little pup deworming and syrups to get him to be normal. In a single day he had 5 watery motions and 3 times vomitings.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

My dogs have been on Royal Canin from the beginning. 6 yrs and 1.5 yrs for the other. My daughter has a chihuahua also and it has been sick vomiting and diarrhea since the “ingredient change recently”. The vet has her stop the food and she has gotten better practically overnight. Well, I just opened a bag of the new stuff two days ago and my one started throwing up and the younger one had vomiting and diarrhea so bad it cost me 680$ in a vet bill. I WILL NEVER TRUST THIS COMPANY AGAIN! Please DO NOT FEED YOUR FUR BABIES THIS FOOD! I contacted PetSmart where I purchased the food and informed them I will be returning for a refund and explained what happened in hopes it will be shared.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We opened up a new bag of dog food and our puppy started getting sick. Our puppy has had severe diarrhea for the last four days. We would give her rice and then she was fine and every time we put her back on the food diarrhea again. We call R.C. and they said the changed the formula -- fiber went down and calcium phosphorus and glucosamine went up -- they deemed them minor changes and they did not need to notify owners. It is completely unacceptable not to communicate these changes to the buyers. After a few nights of being up with the dog and a hefty vet bill we are angry and hope this does not happen to another animal. Thanks to our vet for asking if the formula had changed and others posting on this site we figured out the problem. We will not be using this company.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We recently started incorporating this food into our cat's diet to try to get him off hairball control treats that seemed to make him gain weight. We slowly noticed a change in his behavior (withdrawn, low energy), then he was not eating very well, and for the first time, vomited after eating. Our cat is a big, healthy male that loves to eat so this was not normal for him. After reading these reviews, I associated the time of his progressive deterioration with the timeframe of adding this food into his diet. I am going to immediately stop feeding it to him! He also developed a UTI while on this food. Might be a coincidence, or maybe not.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Last Saturday, we stopped feeding our 15 year old Bichon Royal Canin for dogs with intestinal sensitivity. The diarrhea stopped. She is interested in food again. (She is now eating Science Diet for dogs with food sensitivities.) She has an appetite and she is absolutely putting on weight again. She has spunk again and we have our little pup back. Please read these reviews. Please listen to your intuition. We will NEVER feed our fluff baby any products made by Royal Canin ever again. It almost killed her.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Our puppy has been on this since we first got him and we bought a new bag with new branding in August and he's had severe diarrhea off and on since. Nothing was working except briefly while he was on antibiotics. Since the new bag he also hasn't seemed very interested in eating. We took him off the food and we have seen a drastic return to health in under eighteen hours! I'm wondering if something was off with the food or there are some new ingredients in it since the rebranding but we won't be putting him back on it. That's for sure!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Doctors kept pushing us to feed our cats this "scientifically proven" diet. Our doctors advised us to feed our cats this instead of ACTUAL natural foods (eg meat). According to doctors, cats should eat this instead of following the law of mother nature. Diarrhea and vomiting nonstop, our cats have shown an AWFUL reaction to ROYAL CANIN. We had to throw away several expensive rugs because our cats vomited all over it. Please do not feed your pets this food!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I will NEVER feed my dog this again. I was told by a vet it was very good food but it seems they changed the ingredients recently. I wrote to them and ask and they said yes, they had made minor changes. Except it's not minor when sooo many dogs are becoming sick. My puppy began vomiting and had diarrhea. It cost me 86.00 euro to have a vet take a stool sample and run some test. Only to find it was bad reaction to food. The only difference in Puppy's routine was the NEW Royal food. I'm fuming, it was horrific to watch my poor Declan in so much discomfort. Never will I buy this again. If it's not broke, don't fix it. If it works don't change it. Why they did this change is beyond reason.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I was introduced to RC a year ago by my vet. My 2 cats had been eating Wellness wet cat food for 4 years. In 2017 my old lady cat (18 years) was getting multiple UTI's and I had spent tons of money at the vet to get her better, but she became severely dehydrated and ill. We ended up having to put her to sleep in June 2017. We never switched food brands because we thought she was just old and it was her time. She also had a thyroid problem. We bought a new addition to our family in July 2017. We were still using the Wellness brand wet cat food. Only to later find out my 7 year old male was having complications with urinating. I took him to the vet right away, he had a UTI and was severely constipated.

Vet gave meds and prescribed some lactulose to help with the stools. I Ended up switching his food to RC UTI wet cat food which was recommended by my vet. His UTI went away and our new kitten (only 6 month old) got a UTI. That cost me lots of money again. 3 cats in one year all got UTI's from Wellness wet cat food. So I switched to Royal Canin (RC) and both cats were fine up until this August. We purchased RC intense Beauty and High fiber in July 2018 and both cats have diarrhea and won't stop vomiting. This has been going on for a week. I'm so upset with these so called best brand cat foods making my cats ill. With the price we pay for the "quality" they say they put into the food this should not happen. RC just lost a loyal customer. Now I have to start my search over for another cat food for my babies.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My two cats have been on this for 2 years now without problem. Something has happened. The latest shipment in August had them both sick vomiting about an hour plus after, then diarrhea - a system purge. Curls up in a ball like a tummy ache. One cat recovered in 24 hrs. He is heavy and hearty. My other baby 2+ days. I ran him to the hospital after he was teary eyed and drooling profusely for hours as though he had been poisoned. I am devastated. I spend $200 a month for RC prescription food to do right by my cat who had a urinary blockage and RC's quality control has failed us. I am calling them this morning and returning all the cases I have to Chewy. I won't tell you what the vet bill was to rule out all the various cat diseases and issues - all negative and I've no houseplants etc. I've gone through the whole list. Two cats within one week - sounds like a case of food.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Recent formula changes are making cats and dogs sick. My vet bill was $638 and my cat is now fighting for her health. Switch foods NOW. Dear Royal Canin: I’ve been feeding my cat “Intense Beauty” for 6 years, this summer, 2018 my cats began getting sick. I trusted your brand... SHAME ON YOU!! Please help spread the news if you’re a pet owner!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Bought this food about 1 year ago as recommended by my vet for my 3 dachshunds. Ever since they have been on this food they randomly vomit or have upset stomachs. My female had vomiting, acid reflux issues and weakened immune system, had to be on probiotics on and off for months. My male dachshund had such dry flaky skin, weakened immune system (with probiotics as well) and extreme thirst and vomiting. My youngest 1 year old male has only been sick while on this food. I had them on 2 different foods before I switched to Royal Canin and they never had any of these issues.

I've thrown away 2 bags of this food per the vets recommendation, only to be told to buy another "Fresh" bag, and to clean the dogs food bowls. I do fully believe their issues are related to switching to this food and I have since taken them off of it as I cannot keep having them suffer because the vet "says" it's the best food. After doing some research and talking to people I now see that this food is not as good as "vets" say it is, and a lot of vets are sponsored by Royal Canin and Science Diet so they are required to recommend these foods. This may not be the case for some of you, for me it appears to be so. Luckily I do not think any real damage to my animals was done other than a lot of money wasted on vet visits due to this food.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My cat has been on this food for 2 years. I had a new batch of food and she started diarrhea with blood in it. She turns her head away from this food. She has had all the tests including a scan and nothing seems wrong. I kept her on a bland diet and she recovered gave her the R/C and it's started all over again. Maybe the content has changed. I have looked at the FDA and it seems they had a problem before. The customer support department have all the info including packet numbers but so far nothing. I am convinced this is the food she will not look at it so I have to find a new food. This has been going on for 4 weeks and even the vet can find no medical reason.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information