1.83/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Royal Canin Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

544 Royal Canin Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2019

I’ve use a variety of the brands for cats with differ conditions. From kitten food to cats with digestion issues to cats with kidney disease. I cannot afford the vet foods and finds that the pet store versions are almost as good. The aging 12+ is amazing for my elder cats - it’s designed with an appetite stimulant and lowered phosphorous and great for cats with kidney disease. You also cannot get any better than the kitten.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I've purchased and fed both my dog and cat Royal Canin. I have a large breed mastiff/pitbull and she's elderly and fussy yet she does like this brand. We buy the sensitive stomach line and it does seem to help her. It's pricey but not the most expensive so it's a reasonable value considering it's palatable and has plenty of variety for breed and size.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I am not a dog and my dog is not able to tell me whether it is good or bad since I do not eat dog food. But my French bulldog is healthy, her skin is healthy and she seems to enjoy her food. I appreciate the fact that Royal Canin produces a product that is breed specific.

Original review: April 6, 2019

This is a prescription diet (Urinary SO) for a dog following major, expensive surgery for a big cluster of bladder stones. She has had no further problems after several years on this diet. It is quite expensive, but because both my cats and 1 of my 2 dogs all were on different prescription diets, for simplicity’s sake, I feed Royal Canin to both dogs. It cannot hurt, and the extra expense is worth it!

Original review: April 3, 2019

My dog is on a special diet. She eats urinary so moderate calorie. Royal Canin can only be bought at the vet hence the low score on availability. The price is mid scored because it is on the higher side, but still is on level with the expensive brands (Orijen) that I used to buy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: July 15, 2019

My cat did great on SO for years until just recently. He began to vomit and had diarrhea and the vet could not find anything wrong with him; all his vitals and blood work were normal. The vet suggested it may be the food. Unfortunately it is too late for my cat, he passed away – we could not get him back into shape, he faded quickly. Everyone who is having a problem or had a problem needs to call Royal Canin at 1-800-592-6687. I am trying to get them to recall the food before others have the same situation as many of us are having in the last few months . They have an open investigation but need to hear from others. PLEASE PLEASE CALL. Thank you on behalf of my beloved cat. VIEW MORE. My cat.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I am generally satisfied with Royal Canin and have difficulty disliking them as a company. I buy their Urinary SO for my dogs and am on the third dog who eats this food. It used to be that I had ZERO complaints about them. My first Pomeranian had bladder stones and had surgery to remove them. He was put on this afterward and ended up living another six years (to just under 15 years, so a normal life span for a Pomeranian). My second Pomeranian came into the house right after my first one had started eating this food, so for convenience I had her eat it too. YEARS went by and she has been healthy. She’s 11 years old now and has had no major health problems at all her entire life. For a long time I attributed that to this food, and anytime I heard complaints or comments about the low ingredient quality in this brand I didn’t listen at all. After all, it kept my first dog healthy for years and has kept a second dog healthy for years as well.

Enter my third Pomeranian. He was on this and seemed to like it at first, but then there was some sort of formula change. This pom is NOT a picky eater at all! But it got to where he was sometimes refusing the food. I continued though because the vet found crystals in his urine and advised that he be fed only this food. It’s been a constant headache and struggle since then, and it isn’t just because he doesn’t always want to eat it. I don’t want to take him entirely off the food, but they changed not only the formulation of the food but also the kibble size. So now, the relatively economical large bag of the food is kibble that is too large for him to chew. They have a small breed version of this, but for some reason it’s ASTRONOMICALLY more expensive.

To give you an idea, the 25 lb bag from Chewy of the regular kibble size is $71 on autoship. The 8 lb bag (also from Chewy) of the small breed kibble is $37 on autoship. So the 8 lb bag is basically a third of the size for just about half the cost of the regular bag. Chewy has the best prices out there - when I looked at PetSmart since they carry this in their vet clinic area, it was even more expensive. So Chewy is still the best price bet. But when I got the regular bag, I could put my autoship out for the maximum number of weeks. Since we had to switch to this small bag (which is the same food but just different size kibble), I’ve been having to get autoship minimum once a month. The cost is virtually unmanageable, and will likely become completely unmanageable very shortly.

I don’t want to jeopardize my dog’s health - I want him to have the best food for his specific needs - but quite honestly, it just costs too much. It especially costs too much for food that keeps getting reformulated, making it unpredictable if he will even like it from bag to bag. I think it’s disturbing that Royal Canin did this with the kibble sizing because to some extent it seems like they did this in a targeted way. A lot of the breeds that have a tendency to form bladder stones are smaller breeds. So they are making a KILLING off of charging more for the small breed version. They know people will have to get the special food for their dogs since the specialized diet keeps the animal alive and healthy. Given all this, I have started researching to find a different urinary food for my dog. I don’t really know where I stand on Royal Canin at this point. I can’t hate them, but I no longer love them.

Original review: June 13, 2019

This is supposed to help your dogs with allergies. The first ingredient is Brewer's Rice, which is all the little partial kernels that fall to the bottom after rice is processed. It's a complete filler. The next ingredient is Soy Protein. Soy for a dog? No wonder people report that their dogs have no allergies on this food, you are feeding your dog total fillers. I fed my dog this for a few days and realized I am probably doing him A LOT more harm than good by giving his body none of the nutrients it needed. Shame on Royal Canin for marketing this high-priced garbage food. Probably better to feed your dog a Snickers Bar than this stuff, since both Snickers and Royal Canin are made by Mars, the people most famous for making candy.

Original review: June 7, 2019

My puppy (Shih Tzu) has no issues with this food, it just makes it hard to chew cause she is a small breed. Put water in her bowl with it. Still trying to find a food good for her stomach to keep her healthy.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Our 9 year old cat was switched to this food at the recommendation of our vet after surgery for urinary tract issues. For a few years he thrived on SO and appeared to be fully recovered. Fast forward 3 months ago and out of the blue our cat started showing signs of discomfort. While I was on vacation my daughter went to feed the cat and noticed he hadn't eaten in 2 days and then vomited several times over a 24 hour period. By the time I got back home, our beloved cat completely stopped eating.

Immediately the next day we took him to our vet who prepared us for the worst. She informed us that it appears Charlie's kidneys are not functioning properly after a round of blood tests. The next day there was no change and he was on an IV drip. The next day I received a call from the vet and his prognosis had worsened considerably. They were taking another set of x-rays and determined that Charlie had lymphoma and most likely would not survive. That night my daughter and I went to the vet to visit Charlie and to have a conversation. The condition our cat was in was painful to see. Even our vet was visibly upset at Charlie's worsening visible state. We had to make the painful decision to euthanize Charlie who just a month ago appeared perfectly normal.

After reading a number of other reviews of similar experiences it is obvious that what others on this site have alluded to holds a good amount of truth. That Royal Canin SO contributed to a very quick and painful death of our beloved pet. Hopefully someone reads this before they experience the same outcome. In retrospect I remember purchasing a bag of SO and calling Chewy to inform them that the bag I received didnt smell "quite right". They of course sent a replacement the next day. I'm wondering if I had fed our cat tainted food and just had not noticed it. In any event this ** will kill your pet. I can not sugar coat my anger towards Royal Canin.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Our 14 year old tabby cat tested just slightly out of range on his last kidney blood tests. Our vet recommended a renal support food such as Science Diet or Royal Canin. We tried Royal Canin Renal Support dry food for just 3 days and now he is visibly sick. He'd been healthy and his usual self and wanting to play and going through all of his usual daily routines. Now he is mopey and lethargic and just not himself. He also has had diarrhea and some vomiting. The only change has been this try-out of Royal Canin Renal Support dry food. His appetite is not at all up to par for his canned food which is Fancy Feast. He loves Temptations cat treats and has even been refusing those which is shocking. It has been such an obvious change brought about by the Royal Canin. We are throwing it out. And we are hoping his appetite returns tomorrow or we will be taking him to the 24 hour vet.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have been giving my cocker spaniel Royal Canin exclusively since 2016 everyday with no issues. The last 4 months, my dog has become violently ill with chronic diarrhea on this food. Thousands of dollars in veterinary testing and hospitalization bills later, still the same problem. She has nothing show up on the tests. I've even bought several bags just in case the first 2 were bad and still the same issue. I only give her this food and the Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein Treats. It's diarrhea hell. Up all night, every night! Enough!!! I'm going to vet tomorrow and demanding they transition her out of this high price garbage! They need to recall it! It is tainted and making dogs sick!

Original review: May 11, 2019

We live in a house with 3 cats. One was prescribed the above mentioned cat food and within 2 or 3 days one of the other kitties started vomiting and had horrible diarrhea and after 24 hours of non-stop (every 5 min) vomiting my wife took her to our vet. Our vet diagnosed her with extremely high markers/had an elevated acute kidney condition. Her temp was 93 (100-102 is normal for a cat), very low and very sudden. She advised my wife to take her to the animal emergency hospital right away. She's been in the ICU at the vet hospital for 3 days now (May 10, 2019) in critical condition and we don't know if she's going to pull through.

We are convinced that there is some sort of poison in one or more of its ingredients and saved a sample to have analyzed. We will keep all posted as to our findings! Don't give this cat food to your cat unless you know it's been tested! We wouldn't wish this $3,000 nightmare (and counting) on anyone. We just pray our kitty survives without lifelong medication needed. My wife did contact this company and was not taken seriously by a male rep the 1st time. In fact she called twice. The 2nd time a female rep did ask for the brand and color of the bag and food. Will never buy this product again.

Original review: May 10, 2019

This morning I spoke on the phone with someone and discussed that my two dogs both became very ill after consuming a new bag of Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein. My Golden Retriever mix is prescribed this and has been on it several years and done extremely well. My Pomeranian is almost 2 and has to have everything the older dog does, so they eat the same food. After opening my bag of food ordered from Chewy.com my husband and I initially noticed the food was much darker than it usually is. We gave them dinner and the Pomeranian woke up at 4am and vomited 6 times. My husband and I fed them breakfast the next morning and when we came home from work there were 17 vomit spots! The little one proceeded to vomit 5 more times with fresh blood. We took them to an After Hours Vet Hospital and were there until 3am with aggressive outpatient treatment (we just couldn't afford to Hospitalize both).

I bloodwork showed they both had high liver enzymes indicating they both ingested toxins. They have to see their primary vet today to receive more fluids and a check up. Both are receiving medicines. What is concerning to me is that nothing could be done because the food I received had a missing batch code and expiration date. There has to be some way to at least test the food that was in that bag to see if it was contaminated or improperly stored in the warehouse. Chewy indicated that they receive all shipments directly from Royal Canin. Attached are the photos of the improper labeling for this food, and the significant difference in appearance between the normal batch, and the darker batch that made them sick. Please explain to me why this batch code and expiration would be missing from the back of the bag and instead smear-printed and slanted on the front.

Original review: May 8, 2019

My vet recommended the Royal Canin Urinary SO dry food for my Chihuahua mix who had a bladder infection. She was doing much better on the antibiotic but vet insisted she only eat this food after 1 week of medicine. She started throwing up blood and pooping blood. She was too weak to walk. I was hand feeding it to her telling her it was the only way she was going to get better. She had trip to ER vet over weekend when I read the reviews. She is doing better now that I have quit the Royal Canin. She almost died. I was going to have her put to sleep next day because she was suffering. I feel so blessed to have discovered this and stopping her eating it before I lost her. What a crime to get top dollar for a food that is obviously killing our babies.

Original review: May 7, 2019

My 10 year old Schnauzer has loved this food for about 8 years. She would beg for her food up until about March 2019 when I opened a new bag. She was refusing to eat it so I mixed other things in. We had the bag replaced on the advise of Royal Canin April 1 thinking the first bag was a bad batch. I continued to mix her food with her constantly spitting out the dry food until she developed diarrhea a week ago. Tried the wet so canned food which made things worse and very smelly messes in house. Switched to hamburger and rice but she is now refusing even that. The vet thinks maybe her organs are failing. I thinking this very expensive dog food has killed my dog.

Original review: May 4, 2019

My dog has been on Royal Canin dry and wet gastrointestinal food for about 6 months. Two days ago, we opened a new can, a batch that says to use before 2021 and we noticed that evening she got a few welts on one side of her body. We thought maybe she got into something. I gave her ** and the welts went away after a few hours. On the next feeding, the welts came back - only a few more showed up again after a couple of hours - so I started to think it was the grass outdoors, gave her **, and overnight her welts were nearly gone. This morning, she had her usual feeding, more wet food mixed-in with the dry. This time, the welts were very pronounced and all over her body. We rushed her to the vet. We did a test at the vet.

Upon giving her wet food from another can that has a batch use date by 2020 - a newer batch - she did not have a reaction and also no reaction to the dry food. It seems as if the batch use date 2021 could be bad but the vet did not say that anyone else has shown up with the same problem. We like Royal Canin because it's palatable - a lot of dog foods that do not have byproduct or meal in them are not palatable to dogs, so for now my dog will stay on the dry. We're taking away the wet canned food (gastrointestinal) but watch your dog for any reactions. It's just good to be aware.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Royal Canin Urinary SO & Urinary SO plus Satiety Dry food is what my cat has used for years with great results UNTIL this last bag of Urinary SO + Satiety dry. He began vomiting and spitting white slimy stuff from his nose and mouth. I ran him to emergency clinic since it was midnight and vet said has seen 10 cats in 3 weeks, all on this food. ROYAL CANIN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. REPORT IT TO CONSUMERS!! FIND OUT WHY YOUR FOOD IS POISONING OUR PETS!!!

Original review: April 28, 2019

My 3 yr. old cat has been on Royal Canin Food since he was a kitten. Up until a month ago no problems with The Royal Canin Urinary SO food and then we got a new bag and then everything went to hell!!! He was constantly vomiting day and night and tired! A totally different cat. After $2200 in Doctors & Hospital fees and every test imaginable, we were told he may have lymphoma or IBD. He stopped eating and drinking. My vet said, "Get him to eat anything you can." So I changed his food to Fancy Feast w/ gravy wet food and a Purina dry gastro food and he started getting better but in the meantime we took him to an internal medicine vet at an emergency hospital and she thought he should go on a hypoallergenic diet and so she put him on Royal Canin hypoallergenic Duck. That food cost $180 between the wet and dry!!

The first day was ok and then all over again he started vomiting!!! After another week of vomiting, One morning at 3:00am, he vomited all over our bed, That was it!!! I had had it!!! I had an epiphany and started reading up on the Brand and saw all the complaints!!! I could not freaking believe it!!!! Against the direction of the specialist, I put my cat back on the Purina gastric kibble and the wet Fancy Feast and within 1 Day he is better!!! He is vomit free now for 3 days and back to himself! At 1 point I thought I was going to have to put down my three year old Ragdoll Angel because of this Royal Canin freaking Crap Food!!! It should be taken off the market!!!!

Original review: April 23, 2019

My older Cat loves Royal Canin for over a year. Still likes it, but has produced looser stools after opening the last bag of Royal Canin Renal S and a case of Royal Canin Renal E cans. I am switching slowly to another food to sort out issue. Just reporting in case others are having similar issues. Royal Canin said consumers should report directly to them as well, to determine if there is a pattern to food reactions. My cat is older and could be other factors as well, but have noticed other reviews mentioning similar recent issues.

Original review: April 22, 2019

My cat has been on urinary so for years due to his tendency to form crystals. We got a new bag recently and within 24 of him eating it he had non stop diarrhea and vomiting, I put him on wet food to get his fluids up and he gets better in a day, once well we put him back on SO and it's starts again. It took 3 cycles of this and several $100s in vet bills before we realized it's the new bag of food. Royal Canin has never responded to any of my attempts to make contact. I'm very upset because my cat needs this prescription food to prevent life threatening blockages and due to their recent reformulation it's essentially poison. I suspect it's the addition of low quality by-product-meal that's the culprit.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I use Royal Canin made with duck or venison with potato. My border collie has had stomach problems and this food was recommended by vet specialist and this choice helps him digest his food better. It's about 100.00 per 25 lb bag. A little pricey but nothing too good for this guy.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My vet recommended this food, because of bladder stones. Since using it, we have had no more problems. Our dogs love it. It has a good balance of incredients, with only necessary ingredients. This is all that we feed our dogs.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I tried to order from them, filled out all their required paperwork and waited. They never got back to me, despite several attempts on my part to contact them. Why did I go through the whole rigamarole of opening an account if they had no intention of following through. They have ZERO customer service and we will no longer recommend this product nor give out free samples to our customers.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Our dog has Cushing's disease and has prescription low-fat food. She loves this brand. Other low fat food she didn't like very much. Now she looks forward to her food and we have no problem getting her to eat. She's doing very well on this brand.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Veterinarian recommends this brand based on her experience with different dog foods, plus it helps my dog maintain her weight in her later years. Plus the ingredients helped her stay stable while others caused digestive problems.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Good but I would like more info on the ingredients. We have two dogs; Princess a Bischon and Angel a mixed maltese, Mis shitu. Our dog is prone to bladder stones so we use the Urinary specialty type. It is more expensive but rationalized by her health.

Original review: April 8, 2019

This particular brand was recommended by my vet. I have a toy breed to the one for toy breeds is a small kibble which makes it easier for my dog to eat. This brand also seems to be more palatable to her. I have tried other brands but she doesn't seem to like them.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Beware if your Golden has any allergies! In the middle of January we switched food for our Golden Retriever to the Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult Dry food, yes he liked it, but after eating it for 8 weeks seems he is allergic to it. Over the past 10 days we noticed him chewing his feet a lot and scooting in the garden, then last Tuesday his face was red and swollen. His body, ears and feet were itchy, we thought he might have been bitten by something, wasp or spider, so our vet said to give him antihistamine.

On Thursday last week when I got home from work he was vomiting and had bloody diarrhea so we went straight to emergency where he spent two days on an IV of fluids, antihistamines and antibiotics. He is home now but has medication and steroids to take for 10 days and we had a bill for $2,200.00. The vet told us it takes about 8 weeks of eating new food before the allergic reaction presents itself. We are just so pleased to have him home but there will definitely not be any more Royal Canin in my house.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Both of our dogs have been on Royal Canin Chihuahua since they were eight weeks old puppy and adult formula. Ever since they switched the bag to the new look my dog has been very sick. She has the sounds of reverse sneezing, gagging, choking, coughing very severely for a long period of time many times through the day. We started giving her the new bag food around March 27 2019. It has cost is already $500 in vet bills to try and find out what’s wrong with her. They are saying she possibly is having an allergic reaction to something and the only thing different is the food we’ve given her. The morsels sizes are much bigger than the original and the color is a lot lighter. Something has gone seriously wrong with this food guitar. Damn. Shame on you Royal Canin. Check in to your food and ingredients. Many dogs are getting sick.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information