2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.70/5

Royal Canin sells breed and life stage tailored nutritional dog and cat food products in veterinary clinics and retail stores throughout the United States. The company has more than 200 formulas on the market, which lets owners find dry and wet pet food for a variety of dog and cat breeds and sizes.

BOTTOM LINE

Royal Canin is a pet food line for healthy dogs and cats as well as those with specific health issues. The company has a wide range of products, but the food may not be suitable for pets with grain allergies.

PROS

• Real ingredients
  • Money-back policy
  • Vast selection

CONS

• Some formulas pricey
  • Grain-free not available

Top Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

I have had excellent results with Royal Canin. The customer service is fantastic and they are always willing to answer my questions. … I appreciate the science and extensive research behind their company and products. … I am happy to say that their food has always been consistent in quality...

This particular brand was recommended by my vet. I have a toy breed to the one for toy breeds is a small kibble which makes it easier for my dog to eat. This brand also seems to be more palatable to her. I have tried other brands but she doesn't seem to like them.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Royal Canin pet food

Royal Canin diets

Royal Canin makes each recipe with natural antioxidants, vitamins, fiber, prebiotics, and minerals that dogs and cats need. The company uses corn in its formulas, which is controversial for some pet owners. It offers multiple products to suit a variety of pets.

Royal Canin dog food

• Pure-breed dogs
  • Dogs by size
  • Puppies
  • Aging and senior dogs
  • Skin and food sensitivities
  • Urinary health, kidney health and digestive health
  • Weight management
  • Diabetes support

Royal Canin cat food

• Pure-breed cats
  • Healthy cats of different ages and lifestyles
  • Kittens
  • Aging and senior cats
  • Skin and food sensitivities
  • Urinary health, kidney health, digestive health
  • Weight management
  • Diabetes support
  • Cats with specific care needs

The company offers a Palatability Guarantee with support from its retail partners that offers a 100% money-back guarantee on all Royal Canin products. This lets you return the food for a refund if your pet refuses to eat it.

Royal Canin dog food prices

Royal Canin costs vary based on several factors, including the type of food selected and the breed, size and age of the pet. Royal Canin is available dry or wet in bags, pouches and cans. At the time of publishing, a 30-pound bag of Royal Canin’s Medium Adult Dry Dog Food was just more than $60 from Chewy, while the company’s canned puppy food was listed at just over $15 for a pack of six cans.

Royal Canin cat food

royal canin dry cat food

SHOP ON CHEWY
Logo

Royal Canin dog food

royal canin dry dog food

SHOP ON CHEWY

Coupons or discounts may be available through your veterinarian or preferred retailer.

Royal Canin FAQ

Is Royal Canin dog food on the recall list?
Royal Canin has announced the voluntary nationwide recall of some of its products before. The last recall was in 2007 and applied to several of its dry dog food offerings.
Is Royal Canin food good for dogs?
Royal Canin is a popular choice for many pet owners, and many customers report their dogs like it. It does use fillers, however, and may have the occasional presence of animal byproducts. Talk to your veterinarian to see if Royal Canin is a good choice for your pet.
Do vets recommend Royal Canin?
Recommendations for specific pet food brands vary by veterinarian. Some strongly recommend Royal Canin, while others may have another brand they endorse.
Is Royal Canin really breed specific?
Royal Canin offers tailored nutrition for specific dog breeds. The company combines scientific and nutritional research with breed-specific traits to create a precise diet for your pup. Royal Canin sells cat food for American shorthair, Persians, Japanese bobtails and others as well as dog food for labradors, poodles, pugs, chihuahuas and others.
Who carries Royal Canin dog food?
Royal Canin is sold at national pet store chains, big-box grocery stores and on Amazon. The brand can sometimes be found in local pet stores and agriculture stores. A full list of retailers that carry the brand is available on the Royal Canin website.
What company owns Royal Canin?
Royal Canin is owned by Mars Chocolat France SAS, whose parent organization is Mars, Inc.

Is Royal Canin a good dog food?

Royal Canin can be a great choice for pet owners looking for breed-specific dog or cat food and those who want pet food designed for specific health issues. Because one of the ingredients used is corn, however, some pet owners choose not to purchase Royal Canin. Additionally, the company doesn’t offer grain-free options for dogs and cats with grain allergies. If you like the price and the brand is accessible to you, we think Royal Canin is worth a try for pure-breed pets and those with health needs, including diabetes support or digestive relief.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: July 17, 2020

Our 16 year old cat eats both wet and dry Royal Canin 12+ indoor and comes running when I open the can because he knows it's time to eat. He started only eating dry Royal Canin when we rescued him in May 2018 but now has become picky and needs wet food, too.

Original review: July 13, 2020

After trying several different brands that would satisfy my 4 fussy ladies, decided on Indoor formula dry food. This helps them maintain their weight while satisfying their taste buds. They’ve never turned up their noses. The dry formula also helps maintain the tartar control on their teeth.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Royal Canin Selected Protein Adult PR Pea & Rabbit dry cat food is for my medium hair brown tabby 13 year old indoor cat with stomach issues. She has a hard time keeping her food down, so we tried the Pea & Rabbit version and she loves and wet food as well. She only sick if she eats too fast or overseas. 9-Lives dry cat food is for my vagrant outdoor cats which have been spayed & neutered belonging to our neighborhood in South Tampa. They are not picky eaters, just happy to get water, food, treats, place to stay, and of course love. The 9-Lives is a great bang for your buck. The cats like it and my wallet likes it too.

Original review: June 5, 2020

We have spent a few hundreds of dollars over the past 7-8 months between the Vet who didn't seem to know what was wrong with our 13 yr old Red Maine Coon Male. Used to weigh 16.5lbs, drinking a lot of water. No diabetes, no signs of anything. Months later and vet visits later (blood tests not called back to tell results) I called & looked at results myself. I finally got the vet to call & was told to put Him on Renal diet. Drove to vet office & bought 17 2.9oz cans of Hills Prescription Diet KD chicken & vegetable stew for over almost $2 a can. I still have I bunch of them. Tried mixing them with his regular other foods etc... Every once in awhile I got him to eat a small amount doing that. Tried the variety pack & that ended up in the garbage. No returns on 'script food where I bought it.

Now I read the returns section at websites. Bought Purina NF from their site and my cat won't touch it. They refunded no problem / no return. I can donate to a shelter but I still try to get him to eat by mixing it with his other food. I have tried multiple brands, multiple OTC (as we'd call it) that were higher in phosphorus then should be but he has to eat or go into liver failure & die. So, I contacted vets here and none of them carried the Royal Canin for me to just buy 1 can to see if he would eat it. Ended up all the Vets (especially since Covid19 & closures) quit buying Royal Canin.

Seems they cater more to dogs than cats. Very disappointed. I see all the bad reviews on here for Royal Canin for dogs. I happen to have finally found a food that my cat will eat! He loves the most expensive Renal brand you can buy & I was only able to find it at one website in 30z cans. The D fomula. They also have the T or is it E in 3 oz. I will be trying that one next but until then Royal Canin has been a most welcome wonderful item to have found. Now I just need to find a vet that has a clue but with the lockdown it's almost impossible as they will not allow you inside with our pet.

My Maine Coon is a gentle soul & needs us with him. I usually don't write reviews of this nature but I had to after seeing all the bad ones for the dog food product. I can only attest that this product is great & being 3oz is perfect. He certainly cannot eat the 5oz. Such a waste of product for a cat. Royal Canin needs to make all their canned dietary foods in 3oz.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I have had excellent results with Royal Canin. The customer service is fantastic and they are always willing to answer my questions. Furthermore they are very knowledgeable about all their products and are more than willing to provide you with nutrient values or even relay a full guaranteed analysis to your veterinarian to discuss any questions or concerns that a pet owner or vet may have. This is something that I cannot say about a lot of other companies. (Probably most) I appreciate the science and extensive research behind their company and products. I use the breed specific formula for my Cavalier, as well as various canned food formulas and I am happy to say that their food has always been consistent in quality from batch to batch.

I have never had any quality control issues with Royal Canin, regarding their products. I am also very grateful for their ziplock feature on all their bags. (even bigger bags) This is a very important feature to have that most companies do not provide. Having a ziplock on your bag ensures that your pet food will stay fresh up until the bag is finished. A chip clip alone, will not adequately protect the food from oxidizing. Their bags are also made with very durable material to prevent rips and tears from occurring. I have yet to revive a bag that was torn or perforated in any way. I would say that Royal Canin, absolutely goes above and beyond as far as quality, attention to detail, good customer service and providing pet food that is of excellent nutrition. I would highly recommend this company.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I recently had to start my dog on a prescription dog food for kidney stones. My vet recommended Canin SO food. My little girl has never had GI problems at all, eats twice a day, poops regularly twice a day, different foods in the past. 2 days into starting this new food... she hasn’t pooped at all, she’s vomited multiple times. Finally day 3 she poops, all diarrhea. So I stick it out thinking her system just needs to adjust, no. This continues to just get worse and worse. I do some research online and find this site. I wish I would have seen the reviews on here sooner!

Original review: July 24, 2020

This new formula has made my dog very sick. He has been vomiting and I was told his bladder stones never broke down and now his kidneys are affected. I will do everything in my power to save someone’s dog. But this new formula is very bad. Once I switched his food the vomiting has ceased.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Please read and act on it. It's NOT your imagination your pet is ill from the NEW FORMULA! My baby did great for over three years on Royal Canin food and but now has been on the NEW formula for 9 months and has been ill ever since. Vomiting, lethargic, tummy pains, more bouts of stool, etc. I suspected the food right away but my former vet said that's not possible. She was COMPLETELY checked out by a regular and a internal vet, and nothing was wrong with her. It is the food!! Please please pick up your phone and file a complaint with royal canin and do follow ups! Or message them via their Facebook page to have it in writing. To me they said they are looking into what is causing the problem. There are many many more complaints all over facebook, not only on this website. After hundreds of phone calls I finally managed to buy an OLD bag of food and my baby is no longer ill! Our furbabies don't lie!

Original review: June 29, 2020

Like many other reviews state.. I have been battling with my little maltese over diarrhea. At first we thought she ate something off the ground and we went to the vet for probiotic and a rice diet. She almost immediately got better, but as soon as I introduced her Royal Canin back, the diarrhea and mucus stool came back. Switched to rice again, she got better again. Royal Canin introduced, and her diarrhea immediately began! They definitely switched formulas and thanks to this website, I found others reporting the same thing! So for the past week, she switched to Merrick Small Breed Healthy Grains and not to be gross, but her stool has been perfect and healthier than ever. Her behavior is back to normal and I could not be happier. BUYER BEWARE. Stay away from this food. The transition to Merrick was great and I highly recommend it as an alternative option. (I'm in no way affiliated with Merrick, just grateful to find a better alternative.)

Original review: June 1, 2020

We switched to RC Urinary SO a few months ago since Hills Prescription Diet was no longer being sold at our vet. BIG MISTAKE. One of our cats was recently rushed to the vet hospital in our neighbourhood after he fainted. He then went into septic shock and we couldn't figure out why. A week later our other cat begins to vomit and have diarrhea after eating his food. Both cats were lethargic, vomiting and overall, not doing very well. After spending over $4000 bringing our cats in to try and figure out what was going on, we realized it must be from their food. Sure enough after reading countless reviews of cats vomiting, excessive diarrhea and some even death, we realized it was their Royal Canin Urinary SO food.

We have also learned that they recently changed something in their ingredients which I'm assuming is why our cats fell sick since we've used this product for a few months now. We are absolutely OUTRAGED with this company's negligence in putting their product out there when there are so many reviews from people clearly stating there is something wrong with the food. We are also angry that they would change their product and not advise consumers. Shame on you Royal Canin. You almost killed both of our cats and cost us a fortune in vet bills because you refuse to accept your mistake. I will never use any of your products and I will never recommend it.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information