Royal Canin Pet Foods

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My 13 year old Cairn Terrier was on Royal Canin S/O for several months following removal of a large bladder stone. She loved the food and was doing fine until the most recent bag, purchased in February 2017. She turned her nose up at it and when she actually did eat it, she would throw up. After days of her throwing up and becoming more and more lethargic, I changed her diet to a non-prescription food and within 24 hours, she was better and has not thrown up since and is much more alert. In reading other reviews, I can't help but wonder what changed with their food in 2017?

My (male) cat Angel blocked around August 2011 when he was 4 years old, w a struvite plug & had to have surgery to unblock his urethra. He ate Friskies canned food, and friskies indoor dry, and another grocery store indoor formula dry food but I don't remember the brand at the moment. It was a few months after we went on a 10 day vacation to Disney World & had my brother watch both of our cats while we were gone. The vet told us to put him on prescription urinary food for the rest of his life, or else he would die... These were our first pets, so we didn't know any better at the time.

After a few years, I started to notice the commercials about the pet food ingredients, so I was horrified by the Royal Canin ingredients when I realized it. I wanted to get him off the food, but I was terrified and paralyzed by fear that my decision to switch foods could kill my cat. But then I thought, these crap ingredients are going to eventually kill him anyway. Then I found out there is no actual "prescription" in the food! And they charged like $2.25 or so a can, for grain, corn, and barely any protein.

Me and my cat have a very close bond, and we both get separation anxiety and are codependent. Sometimes when I feel like I can't go on, I look at him and know that he needs me and I can't leave him because I love him so much and he needs me. Also he was leaking small drips of pee, sometimes, during his sleep, and had large sized pees. I think that may have been caused from the surgery causing scar tissue because it wasn't a uti, and the vet didn't find the cause besides his urine stream has always been a thin stream.

It took me until Feb 2016 to work up the courage to switch food. I researched so many years, for so many hours I could probably have earned a degree in cat nutrition. I just didn't want to mess up and cause him any harm. I found some good info on: The Conscious Cat website & Truth about Pet Food website I also recently watched the documentary "Pet Fooled" on demand, which I would recommend. I tried raw food w my cats, but the girl cat wouldn't touch it, and Angel eats so slow that I was concerned about bacteria. He seems to get his appetite back and he eats dry food really fast though lol.

I stopped free feeding dry food and only give him enough dry food to cover the bottom of his bowl when we go to bed at night. They get canned food 2 times a day but I have to shred freeze dried chicken on top of his because he doesn't like wet food as much. And if he doesn't eat it all, I put plastic on it and put it in the fridge for later so I don't waste any. The best foods that I could find when I researched, were canned: Wellness Core, (NO FISH!) and dry: Orijen, Regional flavor, formerly made in Canada. So I made the switch.

I also got some PH test strips online and tested his PH. I think it was around 7.5 so I ordered dl-methionine online from a company called V.E.T. Pharmaceuticals because I found out that dl-methionine is what they use in the prescription food.I got a mortar & pestle at Bed Bath & Beyond and crush two 200 mg pills on his wet food twice a day. He is 14 lbs. His urine PH got down to normal with that dosage. I also mix water into his wet food because he eats more. Then top w/ the chicken. Recently, I discovered the Orijen changed their formula Because my cats didn't like the food as much. So I found out that orijen built a new factory in Kentucky just for Americans, how nice of them... And now the ingredients for American cats are cheaper than what the Canadian cats get.

Also both my cats started gagging and almost threw up a few weeks ago at the same time after feeding the Wellness core. Then Angel had diarrhea for 3 days, so I realized that I had to do this all over again! Yay! So I switched them to Nutro grain free because Wellness dog food was recalled because it had metal in it... and the cat food had around the same expiration dates so I will never feed them wellness again. They had also changed the formula because the texture was completely different, and both cats barely ate it anymore, so I had to find older cans dated before Nov 2019 because that is when it switched.

I noticed that these companies love to change their formulas and not notify anyone, and they never change it for the better. They ALWAYS change it to something cheaper so they can buy a new yacht or whatever these evil demons want to buy at the moment. Or mostly these money hoarding sociopathic narcissists just like to amass money that they will never use for no reason. May they be cursed to suffer the same fate times three that they make people go through so they can feel some empathy for their victims and stop killing people's pets! This country already sucks bad enough, people work at jobs as a corporate slave and have no real hope anymore because there isn't much room for advancement. And now these greedy companies are trying to take out our pets just to make a buck?

I got an ultrasound done on Angel's bladder on Dec 30, 2016 at the vet, and had his urine tested because he was still dribbling urine in his sleep. His urine had blood in it, and he had crystals present in his bladder. So I researched again, and found out that male cats can have anxiety and stress, and it often causes feline idiopathic cystitis around the same age as Angel was. Which basically means there is no uti or other medical cause for him to have urinary issues.

So I got Feliway Plug in pheromone diffusers that relax cats, and I also found ** which is made for idiopathic cystitis. But it is only sold in the U.K. and they are hesitant to ship it because customs can destroy it upon entry because it isn't approved to be sold in the U.S. Once again, America can't get things that actually help because we aren't allowed to be healthy in this country. Because companies would lose all their profits if Americans, and now their pets, were allowed to be healthy. So they have to keep us sick and not allow us to have things that are highly recommended in other countries.

So I stocked up on the Orijen made in Canada and I saw they have a new cat food "coming soon" called Tundra for cats that will be shipped in limited quantities from Canada. And I found an amazing wet food called Hound & Gatos online at Amazon so I have to order it because stores don't carry it. It is meat, and vitamins and minerals, and nothing else! So it is actually better than the Wellness, because there was carrageenan and some fruits and vegetables in the wellness if I remember correctly.

There is no good wet food in any of the pet stores. They all have something in them that I didn't like. There is always an ingredient that doesn't need to be in there in every single cat food. Unnecessary ingredients include but are not limited to, carrageenan, montremite clay, potatoes, rice, corn, sweet potatoes, peas, all vegetables, all fruits, by products, and any ingredients sourced from China. Basically they only need to put the freaking MEAT in the freaking can, w the necessary vitamins and minerals to meet a cat's nutritional daily requirements, and then STOP! Do not add anything else, EVER! Do not change the formula when you get popular and start making money because you let the greed take over you. Those customers mainly will not come back.

The person responsible for making the formula change decision should be made to research any new ingredients safety first, and then clearly mark the packages stating what has changed so people can make the decision for themselves if they want to feed it to their pet. Now they just try to sneak it in there and think the cats won't notice that they are dying from the poison they are eating. Anyway, I got 2 months of the ** from the U.K. and opened one capsule on the wet food two times a day, and he stopped leaking! And his ultrasound and urine test a few weeks ago was clear! No blood, no crystals. Even the vet was surprised that he was healed in a few months and asked what the medicine was called.

I found a liquid medicine available called Joint Purrfection that is avail in the us but it's not as good. ** has 125 mg glucosamine, which helps maintain the bladder lining, 37.5mg l-tryptophan, a precursor to serotonin which has a calming anti anxiety effect, and 10 mg hyaluronic acid one of the main components of the protective GAG layer that lines the bladder. So this builds the bladder lining up because it was being ripped by the crystals and then caused blood in urine and irritation. He also was having some arthritis for a year and now started to jump back on counters again so I know it is working for his joints. I ordered some ** on amazon and eBay but they were expired when I got them. I will have to find a friend in the uk who can help me out with getting non expired meds.

Also I have noticed a lot of counterfeit items on amazon especially because the reviews seem to start going downhill and people say their usual product isn't the same as normal. Also I have started researching how tap water could be causing these urinary issues. I have hard water and it started smelling like strong chlorine last month and I started giving the cats spring water because I wasn't sure why they got sick and if it was the wellness, orijen, or maybe the water. But Angel likes nasty tap water so he wasn't drinking as much. I found out reverse osmosis and distilled water strips all the minerals out the water, and most filters are not that great either. They say that Spring Water is the best to buy from the store, and not Deer Park which is what I was buying.

A gravity system w compressed carbon, or ceramic filter is best. So I paid $350 last night to order a British Berkey water system w 4 ceramic filters. But there is a cheaper lesser quality version made by the same company called Big Berkey, so I almost got tricked into buying the cheaper version. It is sad when you have to become an expert on so many things just to keep yourself and your family safe. I know waaayyy too much about feline medicine, urinary issues, pet food nutrition, myself and my family's medical issues, because we go to the doctor and they never seem to have a diagnosis for anything... And now water... I never thought I would be forced into learning almost every aspect about water. It took me like 8 hours to find a decent water filtration system because of all the paid, fake, reviews of items online.

It is hard to figure out the truth and find a quality product because of all the misleading reviews and the counterfeit products. But I cured my baby Angel and I am happy that he is going to be ok now. I was so grateful and I wanted to share his story to help other cats who are going thru the same thing. It took me 6 years to figure it out and I felt helpless and responsible to fix it for him because several vets had no idea what to do besides do testing or tell me to feed him prescription. I did test him regularly though to make sure he was responding well. His PH was normal w the dl-methionine but he still had some issues so it is a delicate balance to figure out what each cat needs.

If his urine PH got too low, he could form kidney stones that can only be removed surgically. I would recommend routine blood work, ultrasound, and urine testing w a needle inserted into the bladder to be sure everything is ok to anyone who decides to take their cat off prescription food. I hope this helps other cats out there :). I am now going to start looking into a negative ion dispenser air filtration system to help purify the air in my home because I stumbled upon the subject while researching water.

I own a small female Jack Russell Terrier call Jess. Jess is now 7 years and 5 months old but up until last May and for three years prior to that Jess was experiencing small seizures (petit mal). At first these seizures were few and far between maybe one every couple of months until last May when she had two in a week. This was when we visited the vets as before we could cope with her having just the intermittent one and really didn't want her to have to go through a barrage of tests. We managed to video the seizure and gave this to our vet, who then proceeded to give Jess a blood test to rule out any chemical imbalance that could be causing this; this came back negative. It was then decided that she should have a brain scan to see if this would show up anything.

I rang my insurance company to make sure that I would be covered and was all prepared to go forward with this and to put my sweet little dog through the barrage of tests that I had tried to avoid in the first place, when I had a brain storm and rang the veterinary practice to speak to the receptionist. I asked the receptionist how long Jess had been on a special diet for her teeth (Royal Canin Small Dog Dental). She said she would check and before she could answer me I interrupted and said, "You are going to say about three years aren't you" and she said, "Yes, why?"

At that very moment I knew that all along it had been this food! I looked at the ingredients immediately and the only thing that I could see that may be the culprit was an ingredient called Pentasodium Triphosphate and in a 2kg bag of this dog food there is a mega 3g of it!!! This substance is used as a preservative for dog food and some human foods and is also used in cleaning agents, detergents, soaps, paint and the list goes on!!! I stopped giving Jess this food immediately and what do you know... she has had no seizures since and that is nearly a year now! I cannot believe that a dog food that is sold to you through your veterinary surgery can cause this to happen to your pet, not saying that it would happen to every pet but perhaps my little dog was more hypersensitive than another but I wanted this to be put out there so that others who may be experiencing this with their dog or cat can check it out!!

My elderly cat was diagnosed with renal issues during a recent wellness visit. The vet recommended Royal Canin Renal Support, and I bought a kit with several different flavors of wet and a small bag of dry food. Within 12 hours of the first meal my cat started puking and pooping all over. The poop was green and extremely smelly. Poor kitty was sick all night. By morning she was clearly uncomfortable but at least drinking water. I threw away all remaining food including unopened cans so no one else's cat suffers like this from this food. 12 hours later back on her old food she's eating well, drinking water and while still a bit fragile. She is much better, no puke or poop all over. After reading other reviews I am convinced that I made a bad decision by trying this food and I'm posting to warn others. Photos of the bag with numbers are attached.

Urinary + Calming is making my cat vomit! I think the new batch needs to be recalled! My cat has been desperately ill since starting this new bag. I've spent hundreds of dollars at the vet and they can't find anything wrong with him.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

We have two female cats. One 16 yrs old and the other is 9 yrs old that have had a couple intestinal issues and our vet prescribed Royal Canin Gastrointestinal to ease their systems. It's very expensive so looking for a less expensive way to continue on this I found Consumer Affairs link and started reading everyone's reviews. Being trusting of my vet I still gave them the food. Within less than 24 hrs the 9 yr old vomited 6 times and couldn't stay awake for long. The 16 yr old bloated so bad and got so cold. She too couldn't stay awake for long. They also drank an extraordinary amount of water. They couldn't get enough.

So I pulled up the food and gave them their original food back. 16 hrs later they're acting more like their old selves. No more vomiting and the bloating is down by half. She's no longer cold and they're walking and playing again. The vet said she will refund our money for the food. UPC code 3011148428

484288/P484288C. Bottom of bag: BBD/MA 07222018/CAD 22 JUL2018 17021006RCR 04:19 HECHO EN/FABRIQUE AU/MADE IN USA 8.8 LB BAG. I am so grateful for all of you that took the time to leave a review and for this website!!! Thank you so very much!!!

My dog was observed by me with increased thirst and urinating at night with senior Canin product. I didn't know this was the source and took her to vet for evaluation. The vet thought she had urinary problem. She was switched to Urinary SO where symptoms worsened to incontinence at night. It didn't stop until she was taken off product where symptoms stopped immediately.

My male cat has been fed Royal Canin Urinary S/O for somewhere over ten years, to combat urinary crystals, on our vet's recommendation. As far as we had been made aware, he must eat this and nothing else for the rest of his life or risk serious complications. And because we trust our vet we believed that, and that it must be a good food for him if it is a prescription food. He has tolerated it with no problems for a long time, and has certainly had no more crystal formations since eating this.

However, the most recent bag we purchased for him has changed all that. Bought in early February 2017. My poor cat vomits every time he eats from this new bag, and is terribly constipated. I have noticed the kibbles are greasier than usual, with tiny orange beads of fat on them. It is also much stronger smelling and seems to stick to his bowl. I had my suspicions the food was making him vomit but couldn't be sure, until my other cat who has in the past chosen to eat this food regularly without needing it, ate some instead of her own food. She vomited almost immediately. She ate some more another day, vomited again. Having done some research I am now in no doubt this current bag of food is poisoning my cat, and has been the worst choice for him in the long run anyway. Where do I turn now? What do I feed him? I hate myself for having blindly followed advice and for potentially putting my poor cats in grave danger.

My cat has digestive issues that have put his health in jeopardy several times. However once put on Royal gastrointestinal? No more impacting. Hard to find though as only in vet offices. It seems pricey compared w/ other brands, but worth every dollar.

I use special Royal Canin formula designed for adult male cats. This will hopefully keep my cat healthy for many years to come. Prior to this formula, used the same brand to ensure his teeth were clean and free from tartar. I am now using this formula as a treat for him every evening. Yes, I am pleased.

Royal Canin Pet Food is a high quality, grain-free cat food that comes in multiple flavors. My cats love it which is of course important. But equally important are the ingredients which are all natural with no fillers. It keeps my cats' coat nice and shiny and the all natural ingredients make it easy on my litter box as well. It is a little more expensive than the average dry food, but it is well worth it.

I bought this Royal cat food while we were living in Italy for 3 months. It was immediately well received by our cats and the ingredients are mostly meat which is what cats need (not cereal). I have bought this sporadically stateside and they like the kibble.

I bought RC Urinary SO for my dog who went through surgery to remove bladder stones he had developed. My vet recommended I start feeding him food specific to this issue toeinsure he doesn't develop more. After shopping all of the possibilities I chose RC. Within a week of feeding him this specialized food he developed a terrible skin irritation with scabs forming all over his body. He was quite uncomfortable to say the least.

I immediately stopped feeding him this food and looked closely at the ingredients of the food and the first ingredient is corn. It is to my understanding that most dogs are allergic to corn. It was my fault because I assumed a dog food of this quality and price would contain protein as its first ingredient. Don't assume and read labels is what I learned. I shouldn't have to say but dogs are the ancestors of wolves and their diet should be mostly protein and definitely not corn or wheat.

My siamese boy cat is now 12 yrs. old and has eaten Royal Canin Pet Food his entire life on the recommendation of his veterinarian. I feed him one fourth of a can every six hours, if I am late feeding him he reminds me. No food goes to waste and he seems to enjoy every meal. This food is a little pricey and my vet is slow in ordering more but I would not feel comfortable feeding him anything else. I had baked salmon for dinner last night and he didn't want any of it so I guess he's pretty happy with his Royal Canin.

Fed RC German Shepherd for 3 years. Upon the 3rd year our GSD's health began deteriorated daily: serious immune system disorders just as any human would from poor nutrition (allergies, dull coat, and excessive mites through deep layers of skin, ears, etc.) You could not touch the poor baby, his skin was in so much pain. We then switched to a raw diet and, emergency visit vet meds to boost healing, cleared most of his issues. He was gaining healthy weight again, pranced happy as a puppy, and enjoyed his new lil sis Pom we added to family. Common knowledge, a weakened immune system derives of a poor gut - bad nutrition.

We were relocating and in the hustle, had to suffice with Dept Store Pedigree during the move, but ordered RC once again about a year later (1- 30 bags 1/18/2015 Order #**), until then, and all seemed basically fine. GSD's food dish is elevated, but he loved his lil sis, our new addition to the fam, and would actually give her a piece of his feed as she hopped and bounced trying to reach bowl. (So cute!) By 3rd day feeding Royal Canin GSD food, we thought an unknown neighbor had to have poisoned our GSD though we could not see how since he never left yard, much less my sight; retiring early, we were home with them all day.

In 5 days, GSD lost 15 of his 135 lbs (he's a powerhouse), would vomit food and/or pure stomach acids continually, suffered continual run of pure liquid diarrhea, and finally nearly collapse. Then I was hit with an OMG ta-da connection: our Pom puppy had started throwing up everywhere along with all the other exact same symptoms. I remembered GSD couldn't resist giving her a kibble or 2 during meals but no more. Piecing this together while racing to emergency vet hospital when GSD finally collapsed, I inquired. They gave no opinion but agreed this was suspicious so no more RC.

I called company, they took info off bag claiming it was not outdated but fresh. I asked about a change in ingredients and they denied. I explained the undeniable evidence, they blew me off. I thought well, ok, I am throwing these 2 bags away but informing chewy.com, our supplier. Fig'd I was crazy, so I ordered 3 new bags RC GSD feed 3/2/2015. GSD was very sick within hours, and on day 2 he sneaked his lil buddy Pom a piece that she ran like crazy to down before I could stop her.

By day 3 I had called the company again and they never even made an effort to release info, refund the feed, or express any form of empathy towards the now undeniable and obvious truth that the food was killing our pets. They also refused to contact our very concerned vet who agreed to go into detail with her diagnosis. Our furbabies survived through heavy doses of various painful injections, and a several oral medication regimes. There were 4 phone calls to Royal Canin, USA altogether and the final person told me that yes, they had changed the diet - to a more stable chicken that extended shelf life of the feed. Me? "click" ... I'm done. Now we only experienced this with their famous GSD feed, but well ... never ever ever will we touch Royal Canin feed again. GSD loves his raw diet, is happy and healthy as a new pup. It's hard to raw feed, but he has saved my life twice and our son's life also - a priceless companion.

Yesterday I bought the Royal Canin cat food for sterilised cats made in Poland. My cat has been throwing up all over our place after eating it. Food poisoning I suspect as I read many reviews from professional breeders who have even lost some of their little ones due to food poisoning from this pet food.

After much research, chose this for my dog due to ingredients and was also recommended by my vet. For the specifics I needed for him, this was my best option to ensure I could keep my dog as healthy as possible.

I found this brand of dog food to be excellent for my Maltese. We have had Mikey since he was a puppy and he was diagnosed with diabetes a couple years ago. Royal Canin is a great product. My dog loves it! Mikey is now blind but still gets around and does not tire of Royal Canin for diabetic dogs. We just love him!

When I got my Puppy at 3 months, she had already been eating Royal Canin Dog Food. The Dog Food is bagged according to the Breed of your Dog & your Dog's age. On the bag is the recommended measurement, according to your Dog's weight, to be served & how many times a day. My Chihuahua has enjoyed her food & never rejects her meal; she always looks forward to her feeding. I do not give her any treats but if I think it's warranted, I give her 1 little Kernel which she thinks is great.

I was recently discussing dog food with my neighbor. She found out her dog has a lot of allergies. I went home to look at my ingredients and was in complete shock. My 2 pups are on the special vet weight management dry food. The first ingredient listed was powdered cellulose! How is this healthy? I went to their website and they try to explain way why their by-products in the food are so much better. Here I have been feeding my dogs this ** food for 3 years spending hundreds of dollars on what I was told by my vet and the website was a healthy food. I am sick to my stomach. I feel like both my vet and Royal Canin is very misleading and misrepresenting their product. Somehow this brand is recognized by the AAFCO. I think they should revisit this company.

When I tried to post my comment I was denied. The site indicated that there was profanity present in my review. That was absolutely untrue. So they managed to keep my 1 star review from being posted about their product. So I have provided a copy of the review I attempted to leave: After a slow two week transition to this food my 13 year old cat suffered his first seizure. The seizure lasted from the time I discovered him suffering at 5:30 am until the emergency vet gave him a sedative - about 20 minutes of pure hell. My cat was diagnosed with diabetes 7 years ago. I was worried the seizure was due to low blood sugar. But the test run by the emergency vet said his blood glucose was in the normal range for a diabetic cat.

After reading reviews on Consumer Affairs and other sources I am worried that this food was the cause of the seizures. The comments posted about soy based pet food have been scathing. But the diet was recommended by my vet to treat the inflammatory bowel disease my cat was diagnosed as having. There was no improvement in his condition and then came the seizure. I wish I could take him off this food and try something that is grain free. But I chose to say goodbye to him instead. I have no way to know for sure the food triggered the seizure. So I am posting this comment to urge you to think long and hard before making this purchase.

I received my beautiful kitten Sandy, and being naive to required animal nutrition and such, she was on IAMS kitten formula. When I brought her to the vet to check on her brown teeth, they recommended right away to go on Royal Canin Dental. Fine. Your veterinarian tells you to go on a specific diet, you listen. As she got older we always bought dental because that's the diet she was prescribed to be on. Around 6 years old, she started peeing on mine and other's beds in the house. It was unnatural behaviour, so we went for a check up. Of course, like many others with animals on Royal Canin, a bladder stone resulted. She was switched from dental and went on the SO formula. Did not help at all and she wouldn't stop barfing. Anyways, surgery was required to remove the stone. I am just happy that she wasn't more seriously sick and she is better now being off of Royal Canin.

Please if your vet recommends Royal Canin, know that it is just for the money. A true diet for cats, and dogs too, is not animal by-products with a bunch of crappy gluten rice fillers. Working in the pet food industry has opened my eyes and realizing all of the better brands out there. Please do not feed your cats and dogs this brand, it is just a money making company and they do not care for your pet's well-being.

I almost had a coronary when I found out that this product contain soy protein isolate alias msg! Is it to make them eat their crappy food with gmo grains that may kill them before the msg does or is it to make them drink more water to get you off the hook for urinary blockages? Don't bother talking to the company. They couldn't care less. It is just a business to them and to hell with your cat.

My cat had bladder stones about six years ago. The vet was able to clear them out with medication and avoided surgery, but told me she had to be on RC Urinary SO for the rest of her life. Everything was fine until the most recent purchase. I bought a bag on 12/22 and started feeding her from the new bag on 12/23. By the morning of 12/24, she was vomiting every single time she ate. She could not keep anything down. We have now switched her off the food and she is able to eat and keep it down. I don't know if they have recently changed their formula or what, but please, do NOT feed your animals anything from RC. I don't know if the vets are getting kickbacks for prescribing it but please research anything you feed your animals. It's heartbreaking to know my cat is sick because of something I did.

I took my dog (a 18 lb mixed chihuahua/terrier) into the vet earlier this week because I suspected he had tapeworms. The vet said that his discomfort the night before might also be a sign of a gastrointestinal blockage - and said that she wanted to put my dog on a new food immediately (with no switching over) to help with any blockage just in case. So she pulled out Royal Canin Gastrointestinal high energy. My dog normally eats Acana Wild Atlantic and that has made his coat glorious, his backward sneezing gone, etc. His poops by the way were normal all this past week - he only vomited a worm up once and pooped what I believed to be worms.

So I gave him his worm medicine with this new food - seemed to be okay - his poop was solid. Come day 2 though - he has violent diarrhea, grey and explosive projectile, his entire snout was swollen on one side, and he has tufts of hair coming out of his skin. I put him on chicken and rice but the fact he had only 1 can of this and his symptoms were so severe - I'm so upset. DO NOT give your dog this. It is poison. I trusted my vet and now my dog is sicker than he has ever been before.

My 4 year old cat has been diagnosed with urinary tract infection since being a kitten and as such, has to eat food that is supposedly designed to accommodate this challenge. The vet has several brands, but Royal Canin was singled out by the vet as being the better. We balance his diet with a combination of wet and dry products, either 50/50 mix or, as we do now, wet food 4 times a day (3tbsp) with a dry food bin there for him to pick at when he fancies.

Now here's the problem and no end of calls made to Royal Canin has a fix for what is in my opinion, a serious problem. The 165g. can of URINARY SO discolours within 2 hours, smells terrible within 6 hours, is rancid within 12 hours, even when placed in the fridge and locked inside a vacuumed container with all the air sucked out by a FoodSaver machine. The response desk at Royal Canin admitted the problem, but offer fixes such as: take out of can and place in glass dish or SS dish to no avail.

The product instructions state that one should cover and refrigerate remaining in can. I have tried this product on 6 different cats and they all turn their nose up after 8 hours storage. My best tomcat won't even approach the dish once he gets a whiff of the stuff when placing on the floor. It cost a second mortgage to buy this crap as only half the can is ever eaten. Any suggestions because it seems that all brands associated with Urinary Tract Diets are the same, yet the regular commercial food from pet stores stays fresher lasts a lot longer than the stuff available only from vets.

Royal Canin is a great food. My dog had been on many foods before but only liked Cesar's, as most small dogs do, but then she got sick and I had to get a prescription Royal Canin (two different types) and she loved them. I highly recommend this product. It is hard to find the prescription brand, as you do need a prescription from your vet for this food. I would give Royal Canin even if she hadn't been sick. Wish I knew from the beginning.

We gave this to our older kitty when she needed to have some wet canned food to supplement her diet. She loved it. Her favorite flavors were Oh My Cod and the chicken option. It helped give her extra nutrients and water when her kidneys were taxed. Although she passed, we also give it to our two new kittens and they love it too! The ingredients are easily tolerated and they like the flavor. You can find the product at your local grocery store. We actually order cases of it when it's on sale and it keeps nicely. Because the cans are smaller the content is not wasted.

I fed both my 5 yo adult cat and my 4 month old kitten Royal Canin at the veterinarian's recommendation. Boy was that a mistake. My kitten ended up losing weight and having diarrhea. My adult cat ended up hospitalized due to nonstop vomiting and diarrhea. They've started recovering now that they're off Royal Canin. Something in it is poison to them. So disappointed. This is very scary and alarming.

Our 3 year old 70 lb dog was overweight and had always had digestive problems. We tried many foods. Our vet suggested Royal Canine Satiety. The very 1st day we watched an amazing change. All the digestive problems disappeared. We didn't even have to mix their old food like usual for a break in period. Both dogs loved it. We only have to feed probably a 3rd as much food because of the nutrition, so we are probably even on the extra cost on food alone. Then there is the 13lb weight loss in 6 months that we could never accomplish before. She is at 57. I saw all the bad reviews. WE ARE HAPPY Campers!!!

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Profile