2.99/5
Based on 51 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Last updated: May 7, 2018

442 Royal Canin Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 7, 2018

We have a Cava-Tzu. We always feed her Royal Canin nuts. Very nutritional. Keeping the stomach perfectly natural... and bowel movement solid. Her coat is always in lovely condition. We highly recommend Royal Canin products.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Our dog likes the Royal Canin food. It seems to be very digestible. Our vet always says we have a healthy dog. And he recommends this brand of food. I recommended it to friends and family.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I hate to write a bad review. I was recommended to switch to Royal Canin Digestive Care about 12 weeks ago. We did a slow transition from their current food. About a month in the oldest cat started to vomit every other day at first, then to several times a day. I took him into the vet three times trying to figure out the cause, sent lab work off and a number of other things. The other two cats started to vomit a few weeks ago about every other day as well. After doing research I found out it's the food. Glad I have finally found the issue. Back to their old food!

Original review: April 29, 2018

My dog had digestive problems so she was put on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal dry food. The Rx gastrointestinal food is meant to be low in fat and easily digestible. Too much fat posses risk of pancreatitis a serious illness. This worked very well and she is back to normal. I am now slowly introducing a Royal Canin Poodle food to her which seems to be going ok and is not overkill on proteins.

Original review: April 28, 2018

We use Royal Canin prescription food for sensitive stomachs and we have to buy it at a vet’s office. They do sell Royal Canin at Petco, although not the exact one. However, in a pinch, I would buy from there. We tried numerous foods, but Royal Canin prescription gastrointestinal sensitivity is the only one that has not caused any digestive issues. It’s a great food. Expensive, but very much worth it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: April 21, 2018

We recently adopted a Rescue dog, a pug approx. 7 to 10 years old. His family had fallen on hard [$] times and dumped him when they moved to our town. We had almost no history on Jimmy so our vet was [to say the least] challenged in sorting out some of his obvious issues. The biggest was finding a food he could keep down. After many false starts, we finally tried Royal Canin and the result was almost miraculous. Jimmy not only had an instant digestion turn around but began to fill out. His protruding rib cage disappeared from view and with his new energy level we were able to pretty much scrub our concerns. My thanks to Royal Canin for making our rescue dog happy and a pleasure for us.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I am a breeder of Ragdoll cats. I have given my cats RC dry food for Ragdoll cats but now do I start to see that my cats have lost much of their hair. My oldest have lost much hair on her scalp, another of my cats are very thin and seems to could not digest the food. They also puke very much, they are indoor cats.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Please DO NOT feed your cats this food... I have been feeding my cat Royal Canin dry cat food for 5 or 6 years now. Someone who works at my vet's office fed it to her cat so I figured I would review it. The reviews seemed more than decent at the time. However, I did not read any consumer report reviews from this site. My cat would sometimes throw up afterwards a lot and sometimes not at all. It was always so random. She eats fast at times and swallows a lot of air, so it was hard to determine why she was throwing up. I tried various dry cat foods within the Royal Canin brand and if one made her throw up even more so, I figured, well, let's try a different recipe. She seemed pretty stable on it for a handful of years with the occasional throw-up. The excessiveness even stopped for a good while.

My cat is now 10 and I just adopted another cat last year that is 3. The 3-year-old was doing fine on the food and the 10-year-old has been throwing up a LOT since January 2018. We thought if it was the food wouldn't they both be throwing it up? Well, it just took some time until my 3-year-old has started on and off, too. We switched their food from sensitive stomach, to hairball control (thinking it was maybe excessive hairballs), then back to indoor adult. The food they seemed to do the best on was the indoor adult one. The odd thing is, one bag they are fine and then the next they are not!?

There are just too many questions we have regarding this food and why it makes our cats puke DAILY. Yea, our cats have clean bills of health and we gave the food many chances. Over time, it just seems to be getting worse. I really hope that the company is not just throwing anything into their food and are getting away with it?! I will be switching cat food today! One of my cats is losing weight because she can't keep it down long enough, it seems. I am very disappointed in the brand. It is so inconsistent. One bag they seem fine and the next they are not?! What would be the reason for that? I just hope no long-term damage has been done internally, at this point. I will be taking them in for a new check-up now that they will be off this food.

From what I have read, Mars does not test Royal Canin food products. They test some other brands they market, but not Royal Canin. This is what I have read online. One can do their own research, though. The pros and cons of pet food testing can be quite controversial, anyway. I am not sure it would make a difference either way, as most testing is done for 6 months in a controlled lab environment, whatever that may be.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I had never owned cats prior to adopting my cat Sally in April 2016. Therefore, I thought my vet would know what food was best for her. Shortly after getting Sally, I rescued my other cat, Phillip, from a terrible hoarding situation. I fed them both Royal Canin Kitten Instinctive like my vet suggested and it went well. However, when both my cats approached around a year old, I decided to switch them to Royal Canin Cat Instinctive. At first, I didn’t switch them slowly enough, and Phillip puked, which was my fault.

A few month later, I tried again and followed exactly as my vet instructed. I started with 1/4 tsp of adult food mixed with the kitten food. This 1/4 tsp made Phillip defecate on the floor; something totally out of character for him. The feedback I received was “Oh, Royal Canin makes food for sensitive stomachs.” My response to that was “No. I shouldn’t have to give him a sensitive stomach formula. I want a brand where none of their products make my cat puke and have diarrhea.”

So now, I feed both Sally and Phillip Weruva. I didn’t even have to slowly transition them to Weruva. They could eat full portion sizes from the beginning and neither has ever puked. I’m very surprised Royal Canin hasn’t even produced one grain free kind of cat or dog food. Another thing I don’t like about Royal Canin is that they don’t have flavor options. They just have one flavor per type of food, and it looks like ground up animal parts with some crap fillers. This brand also cost just as much as other brands that are much healthier like: Weruva, Tiki Cat, and Instict.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My cat had a urinary blockage on 3/16/18. He had emergency surgery to catheterize and remove the crystals from his bladder. The vet prescribed Prescription Royal Canin Urinary SO cat food. The first day home, he wouldn't touch the Royal Canin prescription wet food. He would eat the dried food only after extremely hungry. He has been drinking water and urinating with no problem. Every time he eats the Royal Canin Urinary SO dry food he throws it up within an hour. He has been doing this for 3 days now. I called the vet to try another brand. She approved Purina Pro Plan Urinary dry food. Something is wrong with the Royal Canin Prescription Urinary SO Cat Food. My cat has never vomited like this before.

Original review: March 15, 2018

As most of the other complaints I have been using RC for 4 years for my cat and now my dog. (Regular Sterilised 37) However this year we purchase a bag that makes both animals sick... Clearly there is a trend of diminishing quality of these products and it is SERIOUS and should be addressed as such. Yet RC has a very casual approach with their refund policy. If this were human food it would be all over the news, the products would be recalled and the company would be under serious investigation.

IT IS NOT NORMAL FOR YOUR ANIMALS TO VOMIT BECAUSE OF THE FOOD YOU FEED THEM. As consumers we trust that all health and safety requirements are adhered to, that the company goes through the correct and required procedures to ensure they don't produce and SELL a poisonous product to the public. However with batches coming out since 2017 being toxic and making animals sick - they seem to treat this as business as usual. Surely if you will cut corners with the production of your products then your product should be removed from the market immediately!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I totally agree with the reviewer below. So, sorry to hear that her cat died, but I had the same thing happen with the November 2017 batches, 2 new batches of Royal Canin Wet Food (different flavors). Two of my cats started vomiting on a few cans opened in both flavors. The third cat smelled it and wouldn't touch it. I returned both boxes to PetSmart for a full refund, thinking they were just a bad batch. It's the ones now that have the new labels that are the problem. I was able to get some more of the old ones and compared the labels of the Ultra and they are definitely different now.

Now, I am in search for a new cat food as I tried a few cans again out of completely different new batch with the same results. So, Royal Canin, there is a problem with the new formula. I don't know what you did, but after years of using your wet cat food, I will not be using again unless it is changed back. I still use the SO dry formula to prevent crystals and have not had any problems with that. I will report this too to Royal Canin.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

In 2007 I rescued a little puppy mill dog I called Lilly Rose! She had many internal and external deformities and problems--food was not one of them. I abided by my vet's recommendations as he would be my vet for 22 yrs. until he retired last spring. He was the type of vet who explained everything to you in English, showed you test results and x-rays. If he could not find an answer right then he would research after hours and call you at home to see if you wanted to try something new he had discovered! Lilly, because of teeth issues caused at birth, needed small bits to chew on!

My vet decided to retire in 2016 and sold his business to a young female vet from Alaska and still worked there until she got settled in. Two years ago my neighbor (who would not spay or neuter her animals) gave me a little male kitten who was in trouble because people know I will do my best by all my rescues. In Nehalen's welcome pack was a bag of Royal Canin kitten food! I had never heard of this brand. I have 2 other cats who will be 8 and 12 this year and one was on Hill's Science Diet Metabolic for weight control, but loved to get into everyone's food including Lilly's!

I did a little research--not much--to see if Royal Canin made Little bites for Lilly's teeth which they did! I ordered a small bag and Lilly scarfed it down like there was no tomorrow! Within a month Lilly was drinking water like there was no tomorrow and so was Sarah the overweight cat who was also eating Lilly's food. By January 2017 Lilly was very ill! I rushed her to the vet but did not get to see my vet but the new vet. Her digestive system had been ripped apart and as we waited in the examining room her stomach was cramping and she was shooting blood from her rectum--nothing else!

I left her there not knowing what was wrong or if I would ever see her again. The new vet patched her up overnight, but did not change foods or seem like that was the problem! (My vet would have asked about food right away because I had fed her and my Sheltie Iams which made them very sick and my vet knew exactly what to do and told me Iams is the worse food on the market!)

This began the worst year of Lilly's and my life! Because of this food Lilly became a diabetic (requiring 2 shots a day) and went blind, had chronic pancreatitis flare ups! Also in the mix the new vet gave Lilly itch medicine for her many allergies which the old vet said could be deadly if given for long periods of time and had prescribed another safer alternative drug. This enlarged Lilly's liver, by December, Lilly (still on Royal Canin's prescription glycol food) could no longer breathe, fluid was filling her lungs and a tumor was in her stomach, or so they said.

They showed me no test, no x-rays and gave me no other options but to end her life. Living in a small coastal town leaves little or no options for good vets or doctors I'm finding out! I spent almost $10,000 that year to save Lilly from what I now know was deadly food and I am on a fixed income and struggling to repay all my maxed out credit cards! Meanwhile I now have 3 cats that are sick from this food which was prescribed by this vet and as of tonight will never eat again, but what damage has been done to them, I do not know until I find a vet I can trust!

I have witness first hand what this food can do, so I beg the public that, just because it costs the most and has these glowing commercial reviews, if you love your animal--dog or cat-- please don't feed them this food and if you do and you notice any digestive changes--GET THEM OFF OF ROYAL CANIN unless you want to lose your beloved child as I did! I would not give this food any stars if I could. Royal Canin is animal poison!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I took my dog in for a urinary tract infection. But let's backtrack a little. I used to feed her Blue Buffalo FOR many years. All the sudden she started having diarrhea frequently. I noticed the food itself looked different and emailed the company just to get 20 questions back. I said forget it and switched to RC digestive health. Since then no diarrhea but my dog started getting UTIs about 2 years into feeding her RC... After her 3rd UTI switched her to RC Urinary S/O. The vet said more than likely she had Cushings Disease. After treating my girl on antibiotics (the 3rd UTI) for 10 days along with this food I saw no improvements... If anything her symptoms were worse. The first trip to the vet they did an ultrasound (which they never showed me). Said her bladder was inflamed.

Called them on the 10th day and said this isnt working. Scheduled yet another appointment immediately. Another ultrasound showed an improved bladder, yet I was never shown the test??? They then wanted to. test for Cushings. My dog was there ALL day. She had a seizure the very next morning. However when she had her 2nd UTI I rushed her to an emergency vet in the city and they performed a culture. The vet said her urine was very boring. Now I'm jumping around a tad but in the 10 days my dog was on Urinary S/O nothing improved and it got WORSE. I lived 2 months of heartache thinking my dog has cushings yet showed no other signs other than drinking and peeing excessively. (Yes this is a sign of a hard to diagnose disease... But seems to be the bipolar answer in humans but in this example... dogs.)

All the while I questioned my vet about the urinary s/o and they said, "Oh no, it shouldn't be what is causing her to continue peeing in the house and having to go out 3xs a night..." Well I did a TON of research online. Bad reviews of Royal Canin were found... As long as you dig past all the bad. I mean you pay like $80 plus a bag and you think of course it must be good. In my search to help my girl with CUSHINGS I found that not only the ingredients are BAD in RC and you might as well feed the cheapest food possible if you're going to feed RC, but the biggest thing is that I found in my research is GRAIN FREE is the way to go. I dont know if my girl has cushings 100% as of course none of the tests for. Cushings are 100% accurate.

Within a few days of switching her off of RC to grain free I see a huge difference! She quit constantly panting at me and waking me up repeatedly in the middle of the night. Now my baby is back to normal after very much heartache of. thinking I needed to put her on very aggressive meds... Thank God I did some soul searching and researching before I put my trust into one vet or continuing to feed my precious fur baby this toxic vet recommended food. Very unhappy with this food and will never recommend. Read the crappy ingredients!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Royal Canin dog food: All my dogs and granddogs thrive on this food. It was chosen by our family veterinarian who gets no kickback or revenue from this company or any other dog food company. Except for some specific conditions which only Hill's Science Diet formulas are available.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

My two senior cats very much enjoyed Royal Canin Adult Selected Protein (PR) food until the last batch I purchased in November 2017. Long story short, one of my cats died after experiencing extreme vomiting and dehydration, all within two weeks of starting the new batch. That particular cat did what many cats on this board were doing - burying the food, destroying it by getting it wet, etc. I am not saying my cat died because of the food. I am, however, questioning if the food had anything to do with my cat's illness.

This matter has been brought to Royal Canin’s attention and a case has been opened. What is unfortunate is that while my concerns were brought to their attention, the response received from RC was that no other cat owners have filed complaints, yet I see many people on this board stating their cats were vomiting, had diarrhea, etc. That said, I beg of anyone reading this review, if you at all question that there might be something wrong with the food, call the company! If there is indeed a problem with this food - or any other product for that matter - a company cannot fix the issue if they do not know.

Hypothetically, if there is something wrong with this batch/lot of food, and had it been brought to RC’s attention earlier, there would probably be far less people posting about sick kitties. I’m grateful you posted here as it did give me some solace - now I beg that you file a complaint with Royal Canin, too! PS My other senior cat is a bit more of a scavenger than the one that died. She did not get sick but what I didn't realize was that she had stopped eating the food.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Moved to a new area, got a new vet, and had to switch to Royal Canin Hydrolyzed for my two cats since the vet couldn't order Hills or any other brand. That should have been a warning sign to me but I trusted them. After the first batch and starting the second, both of my cats have had terrible bowel movements, at first, constipation, and then now massive diarrhea. After multiple visits and tests, no recommendations, only more meds. My cats started trying to bury the food as well and the vet was still stubborn that it wasn't the food. I gave my cats soft food and the diarrhea stopped, but once I gave the RCH it started up again. Hundreds of dollars lost and I should have trusted my gut instinct that this food was cheap and go somewhere else.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I feed my dog the Royal Canin for Poodles. My poodle has been eating it all her life (since July 08). We have never had a problem with it. She seems to enjoy it. We have offered her other food that she declined. I highly recommend the Royal Canin for Poodles.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I find that food specific to the breed works much better for my dogs than the generic brands. My dogs like the Royal Canin Pet food and are healthier than my last dog.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

We had our Shepherd on this food and our 8 yr. old Basenji mix has been on it since he was 8 mos. old. It is a high quality food for a great price. Shopping around guarantees you the lowest price possible.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I've been feeding Royal Canin to my dog since she was a puppy. The food was recommended by the breeder and approved by my vet. I particularly like that the food is supposedly matched to the size and breed of the dog. My dog actually eats it, which is a different experience from other dogs I have owned. This is my first experience with this dog food and the first time I have ever had a dog who consistently ate what they were being fed. My dogs also eat fresh vegetables and fruit on a daily basis along with it.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

After years of having my puppy back and forth to the vet and treated with steroids. We relocated and new vet suggested changed food. Royal Canin was perfect. My dog has been healthy ever since! No red tears from her eyes or tender paws from licking. So happy with their hydrolyzed dog food!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

My dog was a picky eater, and only liked Cesar's dog food. As she developed diabetes, I switched her right away to Royal Canin and she loved it from minute one. Before I also had to feed her by hand. As soon as she got the Royal Canin she gobbled it up on her own! I highly recommend it. But it is not easy to find, especially when you need a prescription for the type you need.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I buy Royal Canin as a supplement to the prescription diet food I get from the vet. I give the yorkies the dry version and they really enjoy it for their evening meal.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My cat has been eating this Royal Canin Feline Health Intense Hairball since July and suddenly just stopped eating it. I had to take her to the vet, on Saturday where she has liver issues. She is only 4 years old and this food is the only change in her diet. It did help with her hairballs, but certainly not worth her current issues. She had a shot of an antibiotic and just hope she will get better. I wish I had seen this site before I changed her food.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

RC Medical "Hepatic" has met the needs of our 13 year old dog with her compromised liver function. It has allowed her to live on, after her near-death experience two years ago. And she loves it!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Royal Canin was prescribed for my dog for crystals in her urine. The ingredients did not look good from what I know about dog food, but it worked and got rid of the crystals. I only fed it to her because I had to.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

The S/O has been a lifesaver for dog post kidney stone surgery. Recommended by vet and purchased at vet. The dog loves the taste and has had no reoccurrence of kidney stones.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Royal Canin is great. My puppy loves it and my vet sells it so I know it is a good brand/option!! The pieces seemed a little big to me at first for a puppy, but he hasn't had any trouble eating it.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Daisy is a Yorkie Terrier and 7 years old. Royal Canin was recommended by my Daisy's Vet. Since Daisy leaves a clean plate when she eats I assume she really likes it.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information