2.05/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

464 Royal Canin Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

My dogs have been on Royal Canin from the beginning. 6 yrs and 1.5 yrs for the other. My daughter has a chihuahua also and it has been sick vomiting and diarrhea since the “ingredient change recently”. The vet has her stop the food and she has gotten better practically overnight. Well, I just opened a bag of the new stuff two days ago and my one started throwing up and the younger one had vomiting and diarrhea so bad it cost me 680$ in a vet bill. I WILL NEVER TRUST THIS COMPANY AGAIN! Please DO NOT FEED YOUR FUR BABIES THIS FOOD! I contacted PetSmart where I purchased the food and informed them I will be returning for a refund and explained what happened in hopes it will be shared.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We opened up a new bag of dog food and our puppy started getting sick. Our puppy has had severe diarrhea for the last four days. We would give her rice and then she was fine and every time we put her back on the food diarrhea again. We call R.C. and they said the changed the formula -- fiber went down and calcium phosphorus and glucosamine went up -- they deemed them minor changes and they did not need to notify owners. It is completely unacceptable not to communicate these changes to the buyers. After a few nights of being up with the dog and a hefty vet bill we are angry and hope this does not happen to another animal. Thanks to our vet for asking if the formula had changed and others posting on this site we figured out the problem. We will not be using this company.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We recently started incorporating this food into our cat's diet to try to get him off hairball control treats that seemed to make him gain weight. We slowly noticed a change in his behavior (withdrawn, low energy), then he was not eating very well, and for the first time, vomited after eating. Our cat is a big, healthy male that loves to eat so this was not normal for him. After reading these reviews, I associated the time of his progressive deterioration with the timeframe of adding this food into his diet. I am going to immediately stop feeding it to him! He also developed a UTI while on this food. Might be a coincidence, or maybe not.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Last Saturday, we stopped feeding our 15 year old Bichon Royal Canin for dogs with intestinal sensitivity. The diarrhea stopped. She is interested in food again. (She is now eating Science Diet for dogs with food sensitivities.) She has an appetite and she is absolutely putting on weight again. She has spunk again and we have our little pup back. Please read these reviews. Please listen to your intuition. We will NEVER feed our fluff baby any products made by Royal Canin ever again. It almost killed her.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Our puppy has been on this since we first got him and we bought a new bag with new branding in August and he's had severe diarrhea off and on since. Nothing was working except briefly while he was on antibiotics. Since the new bag he also hasn't seemed very interested in eating. We took him off the food and we have seen a drastic return to health in under eighteen hours! I'm wondering if something was off with the food or there are some new ingredients in it since the rebranding but we won't be putting him back on it. That's for sure!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Doctors kept pushing us to feed our cats this "scientifically proven" diet. Our doctors advised us to feed our cats this instead of ACTUAL natural foods (eg meat). According to doctors, cats should eat this instead of following the law of mother nature. Diarrhea and vomiting nonstop, our cats have shown an AWFUL reaction to ROYAL CANIN. We had to throw away several expensive rugs because our cats vomited all over it. Please do not feed your pets this food!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I will NEVER feed my dog this again. I was told by a vet it was very good food but it seems they changed the ingredients recently. I wrote to them and ask and they said yes, they had made minor changes. Except it's not minor when sooo many dogs are becoming sick. My puppy began vomiting and had diarrhea. It cost me 86.00 euro to have a vet take a stool sample and run some test. Only to find it was bad reaction to food. The only difference in Puppy's routine was the NEW Royal food. I'm fuming, it was horrific to watch my poor Declan in so much discomfort. Never will I buy this again. If it's not broke, don't fix it. If it works don't change it. Why they did this change is beyond reason.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I was introduced to RC a year ago by my vet. My 2 cats had been eating Wellness wet cat food for 4 years. In 2017 my old lady cat (18 years) was getting multiple UTI's and I had spent tons of money at the vet to get her better, but she became severely dehydrated and ill. We ended up having to put her to sleep in June 2017. We never switched food brands because we thought she was just old and it was her time. She also had a thyroid problem. We bought a new addition to our family in July 2017. We were still using the Wellness brand wet cat food. Only to later find out my 7 year old male was having complications with urinating. I took him to the vet right away, he had a UTI and was severely constipated.

Vet gave meds and prescribed some lactulose to help with the stools. I Ended up switching his food to RC UTI wet cat food which was recommended by my vet. His UTI went away and our new kitten (only 6 month old) got a UTI. That cost me lots of money again. 3 cats in one year all got UTI's from Wellness wet cat food. So I switched to Royal Canin (RC) and both cats were fine up until this August. We purchased RC intense Beauty and High fiber in July 2018 and both cats have diarrhea and won't stop vomiting. This has been going on for a week. I'm so upset with these so called best brand cat foods making my cats ill. With the price we pay for the "quality" they say they put into the food this should not happen. RC just lost a loyal customer. Now I have to start my search over for another cat food for my babies.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My two cats have been on this for 2 years now without problem. Something has happened. The latest shipment in August had them both sick vomiting about an hour plus after, then diarrhea - a system purge. Curls up in a ball like a tummy ache. One cat recovered in 24 hrs. He is heavy and hearty. My other baby 2+ days. I ran him to the hospital after he was teary eyed and drooling profusely for hours as though he had been poisoned. I am devastated. I spend $200 a month for RC prescription food to do right by my cat who had a urinary blockage and RC's quality control has failed us. I am calling them this morning and returning all the cases I have to Chewy. I won't tell you what the vet bill was to rule out all the various cat diseases and issues - all negative and I've no houseplants etc. I've gone through the whole list. Two cats within one week - sounds like a case of food.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Recent formula changes are making cats and dogs sick. My vet bill was $638 and my cat is now fighting for her health. Switch foods NOW. Dear Royal Canin: I’ve been feeding my cat “Intense Beauty” for 6 years, this summer, 2018 my cats began getting sick. I trusted your brand... SHAME ON YOU!! Please help spread the news if you’re a pet owner!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Bought this food about 1 year ago as recommended by my vet for my 3 dachshunds. Ever since they have been on this food they randomly vomit or have upset stomachs. My female had vomiting, acid reflux issues and weakened immune system, had to be on probiotics on and off for months. My male dachshund had such dry flaky skin, weakened immune system (with probiotics as well) and extreme thirst and vomiting. My youngest 1 year old male has only been sick while on this food. I had them on 2 different foods before I switched to Royal Canin and they never had any of these issues.

I've thrown away 2 bags of this food per the vets recommendation, only to be told to buy another "Fresh" bag, and to clean the dogs food bowls. I do fully believe their issues are related to switching to this food and I have since taken them off of it as I cannot keep having them suffer because the vet "says" it's the best food. After doing some research and talking to people I now see that this food is not as good as "vets" say it is, and a lot of vets are sponsored by Royal Canin and Science Diet so they are required to recommend these foods. This may not be the case for some of you, for me it appears to be so. Luckily I do not think any real damage to my animals was done other than a lot of money wasted on vet visits due to this food.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My cat has been on this food for 2 years. I had a new batch of food and she started diarrhea with blood in it. She turns her head away from this food. She has had all the tests including a scan and nothing seems wrong. I kept her on a bland diet and she recovered gave her the R/C and it's started all over again. Maybe the content has changed. I have looked at the FDA and it seems they had a problem before. The customer support department have all the info including packet numbers but so far nothing. I am convinced this is the food she will not look at it so I have to find a new food. This has been going on for 4 weeks and even the vet can find no medical reason.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Since this dog food has been highly recommended because it is suppose to be specially formulated for a specific breed, I decided to give it a try because I was looking for the very best nutrition for my English bulldog since they are a very delicate breed. When I fed this to my dog he became very ill and had EXCESSIVE diarrhea. This went on for several days with no let up and there was concern he would become seriously dehydrated. I stopped feeding him the Canin and the symptoms went away. Also, after reading the ingredients in this dog food I don't understand why it is so highly rated! I would not recommend this.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Royal Canin Feline Cat food made my cats vomit 2X/Day for 2 wks! Earlier in 2018 I noticed the bags of Royal Canin Urinary SO were not vacuum packed. I called my vet, who assured me they were just fine. I fed it to my cats, and noticed they stopped eating it about halfway through the bag. I purchased a smaller bag, but again found they just stopped eating it after a few weeks. Long story short, my vet advised me to contact Royal Canin directly, who assured me that even though their bags of cat food are not vacuum sealed, that they ARE nitrogen flushed. Well, that means nothing to me, because the air we breath is mostly nitrogen anyway, and I think they are just denying liability. The bottom line, is that the DAY I stopped feeding them Royal Canin, they started eating again, stopped throwing up, and I am going to share this with everyone I know, in hopes that it will save your pet's life. Please do the same.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Diabetic Royal Canin product - First feeding of dry and wet food for our diabetic dog, vomited everywhere. This product sucks. Will consult vet for anything but this product. Followed exact veterinarian instructions. Happened on weekend, back to usual product.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We opened a new case of Glycobalance canned cat food. After my cats ate it, they began vomiting. There is no way it is caused by anything else. This is esp. dangerous for one of my cats because he is a bad insulin dependent diabetic cat! What happened to their food???

Original review: June 30, 2018

I have been feeding my cats for 5 years on your Royal Canin food - they love it and never had any problems with it. Opened a new bag of food the other day and all if a sudden ALL 4 of my cats have gotten violently ill at the same time!!! Throwing up and vomiting and flatulence worse than a grown man!!!! They were so sick they couldn’t even eat after a day on this food!! Went to my vet this morning she said all of her cats and other cat patients have been getting just as sick on Royal Canin cat food!!! She called and spoke with you people about your food and you confirmed the formulas were changed!!

My vet said as soon as her cats and her patients' cats stopped eating Royal Canin the vomiting, diarrhea and gas all stopped immediately... How can you live with yourselves for not notifying customers of your changed formulas? The fear this has caused pet owners is horrible!!! The terribly reaction the animals have had on the food is awful!!! Within 24 hour of eating from the brand new bag of food I had 4 very very sick cats running to emergency room!! What is wrong with you all??!! Why would you change formulas - I am returning all the food. Won't EVER buy it again and will be telling EVERYONE about this!!!! Negative 5 Rating!!! Is my real rating but this panel requires a 1-5 so I had to put a 1 star.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Our Maine Coon cat gets the dry Royal Canin Maine Coon cat food. She loves to eat the large crunchy pieces. The downside is that it's expensive but she's worth it! It also keeps her beautiful coat shiny and smooth.

Original review: June 23, 2018

They have this pet food in both nonprescription and prescription for both cats and dogs. The nonprescription Royal Canin food has a variety of flavors especially with the wet food but the prescription food unfortunately does not but it is still amazing. I have a picky eater and he absolutely loves this food. It is so worth the try. I have met others whose pets also loved the food.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have been advised by my vet to put my three cats on SATIETY Royal Canin dry food. As I have been feeding them Hill's young adult dry food for some years thinking that I was doing the right thing, I was devastated to find out about firstly, dry food is not the best food for cats rather wet food is by far better for them... I have tried out several types but can't seem to find one that they all like. I've tried out different types of dry food too just to give them a little along with the wet, but as I haven't been able to find a good wet food they're mostly getting the dry until I do. Only thing is the ones I've gotten, they either all or one of them don't like, or they throw up.

Also doing research, and reading reviews on the do's and don'ts of feeding cats has left me feeling terrible that I haven't been feeding my cats properly even though my vet had advised me to feed them the hill's young adult dry food. Now I'm reading about Royal Canin reviews, but I haven't seen any mention of the SATIETY Royal Canin dry food reviews. So I don't know whether to avoid Royal Canin altogether. Any advice will be welcome.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have been feeding my 11 year old blue point Siamese RC Siamese hard food for approximately 5 months (due to vomiting issues). For the past 6 weeks it appears that her body is emitting a foul odor. I took her off of it and put her back on Fancy Feast hard food. The smell went away, but she began vomiting again. Back on RC and the smell is back. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? She is a very healthy cat, no health issues. Her behavior is the same. I have an appointment for a check up. It just seems very odd.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We have a Cava-Tzu. We always feed her Royal Canin nuts. Very nutritional. Keeping the stomach perfectly natural... and bowel movement solid. Her coat is always in lovely condition. We highly recommend Royal Canin products.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Our dog likes the Royal Canin food. It seems to be very digestible. Our vet always says we have a healthy dog. And he recommends this brand of food. I recommended it to friends and family.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Just purchase 3 small cans I could find of the old ingredients. New ingredients full of chicken by-products and pork by-products. Nothing healthy or vet recommend worthy in this junk (Kitten Instinctive Canned Food).

Original review: April 30, 2018

I hate to write a bad review. I was recommended to switch to Royal Canin Digestive Care about 12 weeks ago. We did a slow transition from their current food. About a month in the oldest cat started to vomit every other day at first, then to several times a day. I took him into the vet three times trying to figure out the cause, sent lab work off and a number of other things. The other two cats started to vomit a few weeks ago about every other day as well. After doing research I found out it's the food. Glad I have finally found the issue. Back to their old food!

Original review: April 29, 2018

My dog had digestive problems so she was put on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal dry food. The Rx gastrointestinal food is meant to be low in fat and easily digestible. Too much fat posses risk of pancreatitis a serious illness. This worked very well and she is back to normal. I am now slowly introducing a Royal Canin Poodle food to her which seems to be going ok and is not overkill on proteins.

Original review: April 28, 2018

We use Royal Canin prescription food for sensitive stomachs and we have to buy it at a vet’s office. They do sell Royal Canin at Petco, although not the exact one. However, in a pinch, I would buy from there. We tried numerous foods, but Royal Canin prescription gastrointestinal sensitivity is the only one that has not caused any digestive issues. It’s a great food. Expensive, but very much worth it.

Original review: April 21, 2018

We recently adopted a Rescue dog, a pug approx. 7 to 10 years old. His family had fallen on hard [$] times and dumped him when they moved to our town. We had almost no history on Jimmy so our vet was [to say the least] challenged in sorting out some of his obvious issues. The biggest was finding a food he could keep down. After many false starts, we finally tried Royal Canin and the result was almost miraculous. Jimmy not only had an instant digestion turn around but began to fill out. His protruding rib cage disappeared from view and with his new energy level we were able to pretty much scrub our concerns. My thanks to Royal Canin for making our rescue dog happy and a pleasure for us.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I am a breeder of Ragdoll cats. I have given my cats RC dry food for Ragdoll cats but now do I start to see that my cats have lost much of their hair. My oldest have lost much hair on her scalp, another of my cats are very thin and seems to could not digest the food. They also puke very much, they are indoor cats.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Please DO NOT feed your cats this food... I have been feeding my cat Royal Canin dry cat food for 5 or 6 years now. Someone who works at my vet's office fed it to her cat so I figured I would review it. The reviews seemed more than decent at the time. However, I did not read any consumer report reviews from this site. My cat would sometimes throw up afterwards a lot and sometimes not at all. It was always so random. She eats fast at times and swallows a lot of air, so it was hard to determine why she was throwing up. I tried various dry cat foods within the Royal Canin brand and if one made her throw up even more so, I figured, well, let's try a different recipe. She seemed pretty stable on it for a handful of years with the occasional throw-up. The excessiveness even stopped for a good while.

My cat is now 10 and I just adopted another cat last year that is 3. The 3-year-old was doing fine on the food and the 10-year-old has been throwing up a LOT since January 2018. We thought if it was the food wouldn't they both be throwing it up? Well, it just took some time until my 3-year-old has started on and off, too. We switched their food from sensitive stomach, to hairball control (thinking it was maybe excessive hairballs), then back to indoor adult. The food they seemed to do the best on was the indoor adult one. The odd thing is, one bag they are fine and then the next they are not!?

There are just too many questions we have regarding this food and why it makes our cats puke DAILY. Yea, our cats have clean bills of health and we gave the food many chances. Over time, it just seems to be getting worse. I really hope that the company is not just throwing anything into their food and are getting away with it?! I will be switching cat food today! One of my cats is losing weight because she can't keep it down long enough, it seems. I am very disappointed in the brand. It is so inconsistent. One bag they seem fine and the next they are not?! What would be the reason for that? I just hope no long-term damage has been done internally, at this point. I will be taking them in for a new check-up now that they will be off this food.

From what I have read, Mars does not test Royal Canin food products. They test some other brands they market, but not Royal Canin. This is what I have read online. One can do their own research, though. The pros and cons of pet food testing can be quite controversial, anyway. I am not sure it would make a difference either way, as most testing is done for 6 months in a controlled lab environment, whatever that may be.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information