1.69/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

536 Royal Canin Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 12, 2019

I am not a dog and my dog is not able to tell me whether it is good or bad since I do not eat dog food. But my French bulldog is healthy, her skin is healthy and she seems to enjoy her food. I appreciate the fact that Royal Canin produces a product that is breed specific.

Original review: April 8, 2019

This particular brand was recommended by my vet. I have a toy breed to the one for toy breeds is a small kibble which makes it easier for my dog to eat. This brand also seems to be more palatable to her. I have tried other brands but she doesn't seem to like them.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2019

This is a prescription diet (Urinary SO) for a dog following major, expensive surgery for a big cluster of bladder stones. She has had no further problems after several years on this diet. It is quite expensive, but because both my cats and 1 of my 2 dogs all were on different prescription diets, for simplicity’s sake, I feed Royal Canin to both dogs. It cannot hurt, and the extra expense is worth it!

Original review: April 3, 2019

My dog is on a special diet. She eats urinary so moderate calorie. Royal Canin can only be bought at the vet hence the low score on availability. The price is mid scored because it is on the higher side, but still is on level with the expensive brands (Orijen) that I used to buy.

Original review: June 23, 2018

They have this pet food in both nonprescription and prescription for both cats and dogs. The nonprescription Royal Canin food has a variety of flavors especially with the wet food but the prescription food unfortunately does not but it is still amazing. I have a picky eater and he absolutely loves this food. It is so worth the try. I have met others whose pets also loved the food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have been giving my cocker spaniel Royal Canin exclusively since 2016 everyday with no issues. The last 4 months, my dog has become violently ill with chronic diarrhea on this food. Thousands of dollars in veterinary testing and hospitalization bills later, still the same problem. She has nothing show up on the tests. I've even bought several bags just in case the first 2 were bad and still the same issue. I only give her this food and the Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein Treats. It's diarrhea hell. Up all night, every night! Enough!!! I'm going to vet tomorrow and demanding they transition her out of this high price garbage! They need to recall it! It is tainted and making dogs sick!

Original review: May 11, 2019

We live in a house with 3 cats. One was prescribed the above mentioned cat food and within 2 or 3 days one of the other kitties started vomiting and had horrible diarrhea and after 24 hours of non-stop (every 5 min) vomiting my wife took her to our vet. Our vet diagnosed her with extremely high markers/had an elevated acute kidney condition. Her temp was 93 (100-102 is normal for a cat), very low and very sudden. She advised my wife to take her to the animal emergency hospital right away. She's been in the ICU at the vet hospital for 3 days now (May 10, 2019) in critical condition and we don't know if she's going to pull through.

We are convinced that there is some sort of poison in one or more of its ingredients and saved a sample to have analyzed. We will keep all posted as to our findings! Don't give this cat food to your cat unless you know it's been tested! We wouldn't wish this $3,000 nightmare (and counting) on anyone. We just pray our kitty survives without lifelong medication needed. My wife did contact this company and was not taken seriously by a male rep the 1st time. In fact she called twice. The 2nd time a female rep did ask for the brand and color of the bag and food. Will never buy this product again.

Original review: May 10, 2019

This morning I spoke on the phone with someone and discussed that my two dogs both became very ill after consuming a new bag of Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein. My Golden Retriever mix is prescribed this and has been on it several years and done extremely well. My Pomeranian is almost 2 and has to have everything the older dog does, so they eat the same food. After opening my bag of food ordered from Chewy.com my husband and I initially noticed the food was much darker than it usually is. We gave them dinner and the Pomeranian woke up at 4am and vomited 6 times. My husband and I fed them breakfast the next morning and when we came home from work there were 17 vomit spots! The little one proceeded to vomit 5 more times with fresh blood. We took them to an After Hours Vet Hospital and were there until 3am with aggressive outpatient treatment (we just couldn't afford to Hospitalize both).

I bloodwork showed they both had high liver enzymes indicating they both ingested toxins. They have to see their primary vet today to receive more fluids and a check up. Both are receiving medicines. What is concerning to me is that nothing could be done because the food I received had a missing batch code and expiration date. There has to be some way to at least test the food that was in that bag to see if it was contaminated or improperly stored in the warehouse. Chewy indicated that they receive all shipments directly from Royal Canin. Attached are the photos of the improper labeling for this food, and the significant difference in appearance between the normal batch, and the darker batch that made them sick. Please explain to me why this batch code and expiration would be missing from the back of the bag and instead smear-printed and slanted on the front.

Original review: May 8, 2019

My vet recommended the Royal Canin Urinary SO dry food for my Chihuahua mix who had a bladder infection. She was doing much better on the antibiotic but vet insisted she only eat this food after 1 week of medicine. She started throwing up blood and pooping blood. She was too weak to walk. I was hand feeding it to her telling her it was the only way she was going to get better. She had trip to ER vet over weekend when I read the reviews. She is doing better now that I have quit the Royal Canin. She almost died. I was going to have her put to sleep next day because she was suffering. I feel so blessed to have discovered this and stopping her eating it before I lost her. What a crime to get top dollar for a food that is obviously killing our babies.

Original review: May 7, 2019

My 10 year old Schnauzer has loved this food for about 8 years. She would beg for her food up until about March 2019 when I opened a new bag. She was refusing to eat it so I mixed other things in. We had the bag replaced on the advise of Royal Canin April 1 thinking the first bag was a bad batch. I continued to mix her food with her constantly spitting out the dry food until she developed diarrhea a week ago. Tried the wet so canned food which made things worse and very smelly messes in house. Switched to hamburger and rice but she is now refusing even that. The vet thinks maybe her organs are failing. I thinking this very expensive dog food has killed my dog.

Original review: May 4, 2019

My dog has been on Royal Canin dry and wet gastrointestinal food for about 6 months. Two days ago, we opened a new can, a batch that says to use before 2021 and we noticed that evening she got a few welts on one side of her body. We thought maybe she got into something. I gave her ** and the welts went away after a few hours. On the next feeding, the welts came back - only a few more showed up again after a couple of hours - so I started to think it was the grass outdoors, gave her **, and overnight her welts were nearly gone. This morning, she had her usual feeding, more wet food mixed-in with the dry. This time, the welts were very pronounced and all over her body. We rushed her to the vet. We did a test at the vet.

Upon giving her wet food from another can that has a batch use date by 2020 - a newer batch - she did not have a reaction and also no reaction to the dry food. It seems as if the batch use date 2021 could be bad but the vet did not say that anyone else has shown up with the same problem. We like Royal Canin because it's palatable - a lot of dog foods that do not have byproduct or meal in them are not palatable to dogs, so for now my dog will stay on the dry. We're taking away the wet canned food (gastrointestinal) but watch your dog for any reactions. It's just good to be aware.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Royal Canin Urinary SO & Urinary SO plus Satiety Dry food is what my cat has used for years with great results UNTIL this last bag of Urinary SO + Satiety dry. He began vomiting and spitting white slimy stuff from his nose and mouth. I ran him to emergency clinic since it was midnight and vet said has seen 10 cats in 3 weeks, all on this food. ROYAL CANIN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. REPORT IT TO CONSUMERS!! FIND OUT WHY YOUR FOOD IS POISONING OUR PETS!!!

Original review: April 28, 2019

My 3 yr. old cat has been on Royal Canin Food since he was a kitten. Up until a month ago no problems with The Royal Canin Urinary SO food and then we got a new bag and then everything went to hell!!! He was constantly vomiting day and night and tired! A totally different cat. After $2200 in Doctors & Hospital fees and every test imaginable, we were told he may have lymphoma or IBD. He stopped eating and drinking. My vet said, "Get him to eat anything you can." So I changed his food to Fancy Feast w/ gravy wet food and a Purina dry gastro food and he started getting better but in the meantime we took him to an internal medicine vet at an emergency hospital and she thought he should go on a hypoallergenic diet and so she put him on Royal Canin hypoallergenic Duck. That food cost $180 between the wet and dry!!

The first day was ok and then all over again he started vomiting!!! After another week of vomiting, One morning at 3:00am, he vomited all over our bed, That was it!!! I had had it!!! I had an epiphany and started reading up on the Brand and saw all the complaints!!! I could not freaking believe it!!!! Against the direction of the specialist, I put my cat back on the Purina gastric kibble and the wet Fancy Feast and within 1 Day he is better!!! He is vomit free now for 3 days and back to himself! At 1 point I thought I was going to have to put down my three year old Ragdoll Angel because of this Royal Canin freaking Crap Food!!! It should be taken off the market!!!!

Original review: April 23, 2019

My older Cat loves Royal Canin for over a year. Still likes it, but has produced looser stools after opening the last bag of Royal Canin Renal S and a case of Royal Canin Renal E cans. I am switching slowly to another food to sort out issue. Just reporting in case others are having similar issues. Royal Canin said consumers should report directly to them as well, to determine if there is a pattern to food reactions. My cat is older and could be other factors as well, but have noticed other reviews mentioning similar recent issues.

Original review: April 22, 2019

My cat has been on urinary so for years due to his tendency to form crystals. We got a new bag recently and within 24 of him eating it he had non stop diarrhea and vomiting, I put him on wet food to get his fluids up and he gets better in a day, once well we put him back on SO and it's starts again. It took 3 cycles of this and several $100s in vet bills before we realized it's the new bag of food. Royal Canin has never responded to any of my attempts to make contact. I'm very upset because my cat needs this prescription food to prevent life threatening blockages and due to their recent reformulation it's essentially poison. I suspect it's the addition of low quality by-product-meal that's the culprit.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I use Royal Canin made with duck or venison with potato. My border collie has had stomach problems and this food was recommended by vet specialist and this choice helps him digest his food better. It's about 100.00 per 25 lb bag. A little pricey but nothing too good for this guy.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My vet recommended this food, because of bladder stones. Since using it, we have had no more problems. Our dogs love it. It has a good balance of incredients, with only necessary ingredients. This is all that we feed our dogs.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I tried to order from them, filled out all their required paperwork and waited. They never got back to me, despite several attempts on my part to contact them. Why did I go through the whole rigamarole of opening an account if they had no intention of following through. They have ZERO customer service and we will no longer recommend this product nor give out free samples to our customers.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Our dog has Cushing's disease and has prescription low-fat food. She loves this brand. Other low fat food she didn't like very much. Now she looks forward to her food and we have no problem getting her to eat. She's doing very well on this brand.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Veterinarian recommends this brand based on her experience with different dog foods, plus it helps my dog maintain her weight in her later years. Plus the ingredients helped her stay stable while others caused digestive problems.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Good but I would like more info on the ingredients. We have two dogs; Princess a Bischon and Angel a mixed maltese, Mis shitu. Our dog is prone to bladder stones so we use the Urinary specialty type. It is more expensive but rationalized by her health.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Beware if your Golden has any allergies! In the middle of January we switched food for our Golden Retriever to the Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult Dry food, yes he liked it, but after eating it for 8 weeks seems he is allergic to it. Over the past 10 days we noticed him chewing his feet a lot and scooting in the garden, then last Tuesday his face was red and swollen. His body, ears and feet were itchy, we thought he might have been bitten by something, wasp or spider, so our vet said to give him antihistamine.

On Thursday last week when I got home from work he was vomiting and had bloody diarrhea so we went straight to emergency where he spent two days on an IV of fluids, antihistamines and antibiotics. He is home now but has medication and steroids to take for 10 days and we had a bill for $2,200.00. The vet told us it takes about 8 weeks of eating new food before the allergic reaction presents itself. We are just so pleased to have him home but there will definitely not be any more Royal Canin in my house.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Both of our dogs have been on Royal Canin Chihuahua since they were eight weeks old puppy and adult formula. Ever since they switched the bag to the new look my dog has been very sick. She has the sounds of reverse sneezing, gagging, choking, coughing very severely for a long period of time many times through the day. We started giving her the new bag food around March 27 2019. It has cost is already $500 in vet bills to try and find out what’s wrong with her. They are saying she possibly is having an allergic reaction to something and the only thing different is the food we’ve given her. The morsels sizes are much bigger than the original and the color is a lot lighter. Something has gone seriously wrong with this food guitar. Damn. Shame on you Royal Canin. Check in to your food and ingredients. Many dogs are getting sick.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I adopted my little boy black cat 3 years ago, he is only 7 years old. He was a pretty chunky boy weighing at 15 pounds. I had him under Banfield's Wellness package, so he had all his shots, check-up, and blood work a couple times every year. He was perfectly healthy, he only threw up a hairball every now. I had him on some dry foods that were weight loss and I made sure to look at the ingredients to not include by-product and grains. However after 2 years of him being on it he didn't lose but gained 2 more pounds. So the vet suggested putting him on a prescribed diet food. We started giving him the Royal Canin Satiety Support Cat Food. He started losing weight which was good and what we were hoping for, until he got sick.

Now currently the past 3 months after being on it for about a year, he suddenly started sneezing often, started vomiting just liquid, and then he threw up all his food he would eat. I realized that it was his food after testing him on eating wet food for a week without him throwing up. But that didn't last long. We set up appointment after appointment for him. Bloodwork, X-ray. They found a mass in his abdomen. He then had an ultrasound and a biopsy, he had a carcinoma intestinal tumor. We were going to get him surgery, but he then had a seizure and after getting him an MRI, we discovered he had a nasal tumor as well which explains the sneezing.

Now I also have a second cat, she gained a lot of weight and I began giving her the satiety support to help her lose the weight. She has only been eating it for about 2-3 months. Now she is a cat who could eat anything, and has never thrown up anything, not even a hairball. But she even started to throw up this food a couple times. Of course after seeing what this food did to him I immediately took her off it. I still in the process of getting her checked out to see if she's okay.

I researched this food after all this happened, to only now realize I never checked the ingredients of this food. It had chicken by-product at the top, followed by grains, corn. I also came across lots of articles of prescription foods causing cancer and reviews of people having similar sad tales of their loved ones by this brand. Several vet sites that talk about nutrition for cancer animals says that cancer cells feeds off carbohydrates to promote cancer cell growth and starve the patient.

I now have to say goodbye to the pet I loved most, he is too weak to fight, too far gone. He drastically lost weight, lost all muscle mass in his body, can't walk or eat or use the litter box. I firmly believe this horrible food caused all this. So please, if anyone see this remember to always look at your pet's food ingredients and stay away from this pet food brand. No one deserves to go through the emotional pain I'm in. So I hope I can help save a couple lives with my story.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Our 15 month old Golden Retriever has been eating Royal Canin kibble since it was introduced to him by his breeder. We have never had any problems and he loved it. With our most recent purchase we transitioned from puppy to adult formula. At the same time as we made the transition they had a packaging change. I thought it was just that, a simple 'packaging change'. When we switched him over he turned up his nose at his new food and we would have to add things he loved (peas/pumpkin, etc) to entice him to eat it. Even then, he would often leave a lot in the bowl. We thought he just needed to get used to it. This, by the way, is a dog that LOVES food... Any food! This was not usual for him.

About 1 week in he began to vomit shortly after eating. We put him on a rice/chicken diet for a few days to calm his tummy and he was soon his old puppy self. We weaned him back onto the kibble (which he still had no interest in) and he began to vomit again. This time we took him off everything (no kibble and no treats at all) so we could go through the process of elimination. We went back on to the rice/chicken again. On day 4 we put some kibble in with his rice at dinner. 3 hours later he was sick, all of his dinner, not at all digested.

That night I googled Royal Canin reviews and read about so many people having the same experience with the 'packaging change'. I am reading that they changed the ingredients or where they are sourced from? We have never changed his food brand because it was breeder approved, vet approved and he loved it. The vet told us changing foods is not recommended because it could upset his tummy so we didn't. I am so mad at myself right now that I didn't just listen to what my boy was trying to tell me when he didn't want to eat it. I don't know what they have done to their formula but we will never ever ever feed a Royal Canin product to our dog again!!!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I’ve been feeding the dachshund variety of this dry food on and off for the last 2 1/2 years since he was a puppy with no problem. At the end of 2018 he started randomly dry-retching in the day and ended up in hospital nearly dead with aspiration pneumonia (fluid sucked down the lungs instead of being spat out). We didn’t think about his food until in January when he kept refusing to eat, still randomly dry-retching and then became covered in itchy blisters and cysts all over his paws and under his tail which drove him mad with itch! His breath was also terrible, despite being brushed regularly, which indicated GI problems. The pet shop advised that Royal Canin had recently switched manufacturers and a lot of people were complaining it isn’t the same product. If you have this stuff throw it in the bin!

Original review: March 20, 2019

After the Science Diet recall my vet switched my 4 dogs to Royal Canin. They did well on it for 4 weeks then I picked up a new ordered it and not 1 of my dogs would eat it. Prior to this 2 of my dogs had moist BMs. I made them all chicken and rice which the ate and still wouldn't touch the RC. I called the company and explained what's going on at this point I have 4 sick dogs. I was told they would look into it and it would take 5 to 7 weeks. I was worried and said, "That long..." His reply was I can try and push it up but not likely. 2 days later he calls and claims nothing is wrong with that batch. Under further questioning I found out that their vitamin D mixture also comes from China! Plus the guy seemed pretty straightforward and rude. I wouldn't advise anyone to use this food. I would also advise anyone reading this if you are having the same issue. Please call then and write a report. Once again I have 4 sick dogs and 0 trust in the pet food industry!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Ever since my vet switched my cat to Royal Canin canned cat food my 3 cats have diarrhea and the worse smelling poop. I have used a case of this so my cats have had enough time to get used to it. Something is wrong with it.

Original review: March 4, 2019

My 9 year old bulldog recently develop some kind food allergy associated with diarrhea, so his vet prescribed Royal Canin. I first placed my dog on a bland diet to help with the inflammation then slowly introduce the new diet (Royal Canin Skin Support). Btw, during the course of his bland diet, his stool was perfect, he was a happy boy. Then comes the nightmare! Every time, I put a small amt of royal canin in his food, he would start vomiting and having diarrhea!!! I immediately stop feeding him Royal Canin and is in the process of finding him a different food option. Please, if you love you dog, don’t feed him this POISON!

Original review: March 3, 2019

My Shih Tzu is prescribed this. She's loved it ever since and it's been great for her. I recently got a new order delivered and after the first feeding the diarrhea started. Now it's bloody diarrhea. Found out it's whatever they changed in this food went from prescription to poison.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information