2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.72/5

Royal Canin sells breed and life stage tailored nutritional dog and cat food products in veterinary clinics and retail stores throughout the United States. The company has more than 200 formulas on the market, which lets owners find dry and wet pet food for a variety of dog and cat breeds and sizes.

BOTTOM LINE

Royal Canin is a pet food line for healthy dogs and cats as well as those with specific health issues. The company has a wide range of products, but the food may not be suitable for pets with grain allergies.

PROS

• Real ingredients
  • Money-back policy
  • Vast selection

CONS

• Some formulas pricey
  • Grain-free not available

Top Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

I have had excellent results with Royal Canin. The customer service is fantastic and they are always willing to answer my questions. … I appreciate the science and extensive research behind their company and products. … I am happy to say that their food has always been consistent in quality...

This particular brand was recommended by my vet. I have a toy breed to the one for toy breeds is a small kibble which makes it easier for my dog to eat. This brand also seems to be more palatable to her. I have tried other brands but she doesn't seem to like them.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Royal Canin pet food

Royal Canin diets

Royal Canin makes each recipe with natural antioxidants, vitamins, fiber, prebiotics, and minerals that dogs and cats need. The company uses corn in its formulas, which is controversial for some pet owners. It offers multiple products to suit a variety of pets.

Royal Canin dog food

• Pure-breed dogs
  • Dogs by size
  • Puppies
  • Aging and senior dogs
  • Skin and food sensitivities
  • Urinary health, kidney health and digestive health
  • Weight management
  • Diabetes support

Royal Canin cat food

• Pure-breed cats
  • Healthy cats of different ages and lifestyles
  • Kittens
  • Aging and senior cats
  • Skin and food sensitivities
  • Urinary health, kidney health, digestive health
  • Weight management
  • Diabetes support
  • Cats with specific care needs

The company offers a Palatability Guarantee with support from its retail partners that offers a 100% money-back guarantee on all Royal Canin products. This lets you return the food for a refund if your pet refuses to eat it.

Royal Canin dog food prices

Royal Canin costs vary based on several factors, including the type of food selected and the breed, size and age of the pet. Royal Canin is available dry or wet in bags, pouches and cans. At the time of publishing, a 30-pound bag of Royal Canin’s Medium Adult Dry Dog Food was just more than $60 from Chewy, while the company’s canned puppy food was listed at just over $15 for a pack of six cans.

Royal Canin cat food

royal canin dry cat food

SHOP ON CHEWY
Logo

Royal Canin dog food

royal canin dry dog food

SHOP ON CHEWY

Coupons or discounts may be available through your veterinarian or preferred retailer.

Royal Canin FAQ

Is Royal Canin dog food on the recall list?
Royal Canin has announced the voluntary nationwide recall of some of its products before. The last recall was in 2007 and applied to several of its dry dog food offerings.
Is Royal Canin food good for dogs?
Royal Canin is a popular choice for many pet owners, and many customers report their dogs like it. It does use fillers, however, and may have the occasional presence of animal byproducts. Talk to your veterinarian to see if Royal Canin is a good choice for your pet.
Do vets recommend Royal Canin?
Recommendations for specific pet food brands vary by veterinarian. Some strongly recommend Royal Canin, while others may have another brand they endorse.
Is Royal Canin really breed specific?
Royal Canin offers tailored nutrition for specific dog breeds. The company combines scientific and nutritional research with breed-specific traits to create a precise diet for your pup. Royal Canin sells cat food for American shorthair, Persians, Japanese bobtails and others as well as dog food for labradors, poodles, pugs, chihuahuas and others.
Who carries Royal Canin dog food?
Royal Canin is sold at national pet store chains, big-box grocery stores and on Amazon. The brand can sometimes be found in local pet stores and agriculture stores. A full list of retailers that carry the brand is available on the Royal Canin website.
What company owns Royal Canin?
Royal Canin is owned by Mars Chocolat France SAS, whose parent organization is Mars, Inc.

Is Royal Canin a good dog food?

Royal Canin can be a great choice for pet owners looking for breed-specific dog or cat food and those who want pet food designed for specific health issues. Because one of the ingredients used is corn, however, some pet owners choose not to purchase Royal Canin. Additionally, the company doesn’t offer grain-free options for dogs and cats with grain allergies. If you like the price and the brand is accessible to you, we think Royal Canin is worth a try for pure-breed pets and those with health needs, including diabetes support or digestive relief.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: July 17, 2020

Our 16 year old cat eats both wet and dry Royal Canin 12+ indoor and comes running when I open the can because he knows it's time to eat. He started only eating dry Royal Canin when we rescued him in May 2018 but now has become picky and needs wet food, too.

Original review: July 13, 2020

After trying several different brands that would satisfy my 4 fussy ladies, decided on Indoor formula dry food. This helps them maintain their weight while satisfying their taste buds. They’ve never turned up their noses. The dry formula also helps maintain the tartar control on their teeth.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Royal Canin Selected Protein Adult PR Pea & Rabbit dry cat food is for my medium hair brown tabby 13 year old indoor cat with stomach issues. She has a hard time keeping her food down, so we tried the Pea & Rabbit version and she loves and wet food as well. She only sick if she eats too fast or overseas. 9-Lives dry cat food is for my vagrant outdoor cats which have been spayed & neutered belonging to our neighborhood in South Tampa. They are not picky eaters, just happy to get water, food, treats, place to stay, and of course love. The 9-Lives is a great bang for your buck. The cats like it and my wallet likes it too.

Original review: June 5, 2020

We have spent a few hundreds of dollars over the past 7-8 months between the Vet who didn't seem to know what was wrong with our 13 yr old Red Maine Coon Male. Used to weigh 16.5lbs, drinking a lot of water. No diabetes, no signs of anything. Months later and vet visits later (blood tests not called back to tell results) I called & looked at results myself. I finally got the vet to call & was told to put Him on Renal diet. Drove to vet office & bought 17 2.9oz cans of Hills Prescription Diet KD chicken & vegetable stew for over almost $2 a can. I still have I bunch of them. Tried mixing them with his regular other foods etc... Every once in awhile I got him to eat a small amount doing that. Tried the variety pack & that ended up in the garbage. No returns on 'script food where I bought it.

Now I read the returns section at websites. Bought Purina NF from their site and my cat won't touch it. They refunded no problem / no return. I can donate to a shelter but I still try to get him to eat by mixing it with his other food. I have tried multiple brands, multiple OTC (as we'd call it) that were higher in phosphorus then should be but he has to eat or go into liver failure & die. So, I contacted vets here and none of them carried the Royal Canin for me to just buy 1 can to see if he would eat it. Ended up all the Vets (especially since Covid19 & closures) quit buying Royal Canin.

Seems they cater more to dogs than cats. Very disappointed. I see all the bad reviews on here for Royal Canin for dogs. I happen to have finally found a food that my cat will eat! He loves the most expensive Renal brand you can buy & I was only able to find it at one website in 30z cans. The D fomula. They also have the T or is it E in 3 oz. I will be trying that one next but until then Royal Canin has been a most welcome wonderful item to have found. Now I just need to find a vet that has a clue but with the lockdown it's almost impossible as they will not allow you inside with our pet.

My Maine Coon is a gentle soul & needs us with him. I usually don't write reviews of this nature but I had to after seeing all the bad ones for the dog food product. I can only attest that this product is great & being 3oz is perfect. He certainly cannot eat the 5oz. Such a waste of product for a cat. Royal Canin needs to make all their canned dietary foods in 3oz.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I have had excellent results with Royal Canin. The customer service is fantastic and they are always willing to answer my questions. Furthermore they are very knowledgeable about all their products and are more than willing to provide you with nutrient values or even relay a full guaranteed analysis to your veterinarian to discuss any questions or concerns that a pet owner or vet may have. This is something that I cannot say about a lot of other companies. (Probably most) I appreciate the science and extensive research behind their company and products. I use the breed specific formula for my Cavalier, as well as various canned food formulas and I am happy to say that their food has always been consistent in quality from batch to batch.

I have never had any quality control issues with Royal Canin, regarding their products. I am also very grateful for their ziplock feature on all their bags. (even bigger bags) This is a very important feature to have that most companies do not provide. Having a ziplock on your bag ensures that your pet food will stay fresh up until the bag is finished. A chip clip alone, will not adequately protect the food from oxidizing. Their bags are also made with very durable material to prevent rips and tears from occurring. I have yet to revive a bag that was torn or perforated in any way. I would say that Royal Canin, absolutely goes above and beyond as far as quality, attention to detail, good customer service and providing pet food that is of excellent nutrition. I would highly recommend this company.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I have a 12 week old puppy. I started her on RC puppy wet food in the tub. She seemed to tolerate it well. I couldn't find anymore anywhere. RC has that Amazon and Chewy, as well as a local store have it. Amazon wouldn't have it for 2 months. Chewy has nothing, local store doesn't even sell RC, nowhere else carries it. The RC website is wrong! They say it's available all over. It's not available! They advertise it and it comes up with Puppy Stimulant wet gel gook food in a can.

I have 50 cans of RN puppy appetite stimulation, thinking I was getting the tub. She now has Giardia, not sure if it came from the breeder, since she has not been outside walking yet. She only is in the apartment. I have no other dogs. Her stool is too soft from this mush gel and today she vomited a little with loose stool. Had diarrhea once. She is on ** and probiotics. This stuff is bad, really bad. Will be changing it after reading these reviews. I can't lose my little girl and/or have chronic Giardia.

She also started eating her stool after starting this can of junk, which she did not do before. She's always hungry, except for today, she has a tummy ache. Have the dry Puppy RC food also. Just bought another bag, ugh. I don't care about the money, I will change it slowly. I refuse to use this company who cannot answer emails and advertise their dog foods with falsehoods. Thank you for all the reviews notifying how bad this product and company who doesn't answer calls or cuts you off of their Facebook page when you ask them why they are not knowledgeable about what's going on. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

My vet recommended RC for my Standard Poodle Puppy. He has now been diagnosed with possibly a lifelong disease called Giardia, extreme gastro-intestinal issues, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. The scary part is my vet said it does not even show up on the actual test Vets perform which is how he missed it the first time, but after reviewing the scans more closely he quickly realized my little Prince has extreme Giardia to the point my poor little 5 month old pup may have it for a lifetime. I will not feed him another kibble of this toxic food and recommend you do the same! Royal Canine this is criminal!!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Bought Royal Canin cat food for my cats as my vet told us it was the best and really pushed it on us. We have tried the kitten formula the adult formula and the sensitive digestion.. My 1 year old cat vomits everyday after eating and my 5 year old is pooping blood because she's constipated or gets diarrhea. I give them 1/4 cup each twice a day as recommended and after the sensitive digestion food didn't seem to be helping I'm gonna stop giving them this crap as their health and quality of life seems to be declining. I'd recommend Not buying this crap as it could result in pain or death in your beloved animals. Spend 30 instead of 15 if you truly love them.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

The following is my personal opinion. I purchased Royal Canin dog food for my Rottweiler puppy because of some recommendations that I saw online, after one day of feeding my puppy this food he began throwing up and being very lethargic, I looked online and found reviews of people whose dogs have had the same and more symptoms and even a puppy that died due to this food.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I recently had to start my dog on a prescription dog food for kidney stones. My vet recommended Canin SO food. My little girl has never had GI problems at all, eats twice a day, poops regularly twice a day, different foods in the past. 2 days into starting this new food... she hasn’t pooped at all, she’s vomited multiple times. Finally day 3 she poops, all diarrhea. So I stick it out thinking her system just needs to adjust, no. This continues to just get worse and worse. I do some research online and find this site. I wish I would have seen the reviews on here sooner!

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information