Royal Canin Pet Foods

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We have two female cats. One 16 yrs old and the other is 9 yrs old that have had a couple intestinal issues and our vet prescribed Royal Canin Gastrointestinal to ease their systems. It's very expensive so looking for a less expensive way to continue on this I found Consumer Affairs link and started reading everyone's reviews. Being trusting of my vet I still gave them the food. Within less than 24 hrs the 9 yr old vomited 6 times and couldn't stay awake for long. The 16 yr old bloated so bad and got so cold. She too couldn't stay awake for long. They also drank an extraordinary amount of water. They couldn't get enough.

So I pulled up the food and gave them their original food back. 16 hrs later they're acting more like their old selves. No more vomiting and the bloating is down by half. She's no longer cold and they're walking and playing again. The vet said she will refund our money for the food. UPC code 3011148428

484288/P484288C. Bottom of bag: BBD/MA 07222018/CAD 22 JUL2018 17021006RCR 04:19 HECHO EN/FABRIQUE AU/MADE IN USA 8.8 LB BAG. I am so grateful for all of you that took the time to leave a review and for this website!!! Thank you so very much!!!

My dog was observed by me with increased thirst and urinating at night with senior Canin product. I didn't know this was the source and took her to vet for evaluation. The vet thought she had urinary problem. She was switched to Urinary SO where symptoms worsened to incontinence at night. It didn't stop until she was taken off product where symptoms stopped immediately.

My male cat has been fed Royal Canin Urinary S/O for somewhere over ten years, to combat urinary crystals, on our vet's recommendation. As far as we had been made aware, he must eat this and nothing else for the rest of his life or risk serious complications. And because we trust our vet we believed that, and that it must be a good food for him if it is a prescription food. He has tolerated it with no problems for a long time, and has certainly had no more crystal formations since eating this.

However, the most recent bag we purchased for him has changed all that. Bought in early February 2017. My poor cat vomits every time he eats from this new bag, and is terribly constipated. I have noticed the kibbles are greasier than usual, with tiny orange beads of fat on them. It is also much stronger smelling and seems to stick to his bowl. I had my suspicions the food was making him vomit but couldn't be sure, until my other cat who has in the past chosen to eat this food regularly without needing it, ate some instead of her own food. She vomited almost immediately. She ate some more another day, vomited again. Having done some research I am now in no doubt this current bag of food is poisoning my cat, and has been the worst choice for him in the long run anyway. Where do I turn now? What do I feed him? I hate myself for having blindly followed advice and for potentially putting my poor cats in grave danger.

My cat has digestive issues that have put his health in jeopardy several times. However once put on Royal gastrointestinal? No more impacting. Hard to find though as only in vet offices. It seems pricey compared w/ other brands, but worth every dollar.

I use special Royal Canin formula designed for adult male cats. This will hopefully keep my cat healthy for many years to come. Prior to this formula, used the same brand to ensure his teeth were clean and free from tartar. I am now using this formula as a treat for him every evening. Yes, I am pleased.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Royal Canin Pet Food is a high quality, grain-free cat food that comes in multiple flavors. My cats love it which is of course important. But equally important are the ingredients which are all natural with no fillers. It keeps my cats' coat nice and shiny and the all natural ingredients make it easy on my litter box as well. It is a little more expensive than the average dry food, but it is well worth it.

I bought this Royal cat food while we were living in Italy for 3 months. It was immediately well received by our cats and the ingredients are mostly meat which is what cats need (not cereal). I have bought this sporadically stateside and they like the kibble.

I bought RC Urinary SO for my dog who went through surgery to remove bladder stones he had developed. My vet recommended I start feeding him food specific to this issue toeinsure he doesn't develop more. After shopping all of the possibilities I chose RC. Within a week of feeding him this specialized food he developed a terrible skin irritation with scabs forming all over his body. He was quite uncomfortable to say the least.

I immediately stopped feeding him this food and looked closely at the ingredients of the food and the first ingredient is corn. It is to my understanding that most dogs are allergic to corn. It was my fault because I assumed a dog food of this quality and price would contain protein as its first ingredient. Don't assume and read labels is what I learned. I shouldn't have to say but dogs are the ancestors of wolves and their diet should be mostly protein and definitely not corn or wheat.

My siamese boy cat is now 12 yrs. old and has eaten Royal Canin Pet Food his entire life on the recommendation of his veterinarian. I feed him one fourth of a can every six hours, if I am late feeding him he reminds me. No food goes to waste and he seems to enjoy every meal. This food is a little pricey and my vet is slow in ordering more but I would not feel comfortable feeding him anything else. I had baked salmon for dinner last night and he didn't want any of it so I guess he's pretty happy with his Royal Canin.

Fed RC German Shepherd for 3 years. Upon the 3rd year our GSD's health began deteriorated daily: serious immune system disorders just as any human would from poor nutrition (allergies, dull coat, and excessive mites through deep layers of skin, ears, etc.) You could not touch the poor baby, his skin was in so much pain. We then switched to a raw diet and, emergency visit vet meds to boost healing, cleared most of his issues. He was gaining healthy weight again, pranced happy as a puppy, and enjoyed his new lil sis Pom we added to family. Common knowledge, a weakened immune system derives of a poor gut - bad nutrition.

We were relocating and in the hustle, had to suffice with Dept Store Pedigree during the move, but ordered RC once again about a year later (1- 30 bags 1/18/2015 Order #**), until then, and all seemed basically fine. GSD's food dish is elevated, but he loved his lil sis, our new addition to the fam, and would actually give her a piece of his feed as she hopped and bounced trying to reach bowl. (So cute!) By 3rd day feeding Royal Canin GSD food, we thought an unknown neighbor had to have poisoned our GSD though we could not see how since he never left yard, much less my sight; retiring early, we were home with them all day.

In 5 days, GSD lost 15 of his 135 lbs (he's a powerhouse), would vomit food and/or pure stomach acids continually, suffered continual run of pure liquid diarrhea, and finally nearly collapse. Then I was hit with an OMG ta-da connection: our Pom puppy had started throwing up everywhere along with all the other exact same symptoms. I remembered GSD couldn't resist giving her a kibble or 2 during meals but no more. Piecing this together while racing to emergency vet hospital when GSD finally collapsed, I inquired. They gave no opinion but agreed this was suspicious so no more RC.

I called company, they took info off bag claiming it was not outdated but fresh. I asked about a change in ingredients and they denied. I explained the undeniable evidence, they blew me off. I thought well, ok, I am throwing these 2 bags away but informing chewy.com, our supplier. Fig'd I was crazy, so I ordered 3 new bags RC GSD feed 3/2/2015. GSD was very sick within hours, and on day 2 he sneaked his lil buddy Pom a piece that she ran like crazy to down before I could stop her.

By day 3 I had called the company again and they never even made an effort to release info, refund the feed, or express any form of empathy towards the now undeniable and obvious truth that the food was killing our pets. They also refused to contact our very concerned vet who agreed to go into detail with her diagnosis. Our furbabies survived through heavy doses of various painful injections, and a several oral medication regimes. There were 4 phone calls to Royal Canin, USA altogether and the final person told me that yes, they had changed the diet - to a more stable chicken that extended shelf life of the feed. Me? "click" ... I'm done. Now we only experienced this with their famous GSD feed, but well ... never ever ever will we touch Royal Canin feed again. GSD loves his raw diet, is happy and healthy as a new pup. It's hard to raw feed, but he has saved my life twice and our son's life also - a priceless companion.

Yesterday I bought the Royal Canin cat food for sterilised cats made in Poland. My cat has been throwing up all over our place after eating it. Food poisoning I suspect as I read many reviews from professional breeders who have even lost some of their little ones due to food poisoning from this pet food.

After much research, chose this for my dog due to ingredients and was also recommended by my vet. For the specifics I needed for him, this was my best option to ensure I could keep my dog as healthy as possible.

I found this brand of dog food to be excellent for my Maltese. We have had Mikey since he was a puppy and he was diagnosed with diabetes a couple years ago. Royal Canin is a great product. My dog loves it! Mikey is now blind but still gets around and does not tire of Royal Canin for diabetic dogs. We just love him!

When I got my Puppy at 3 months, she had already been eating Royal Canin Dog Food. The Dog Food is bagged according to the Breed of your Dog & your Dog's age. On the bag is the recommended measurement, according to your Dog's weight, to be served & how many times a day. My Chihuahua has enjoyed her food & never rejects her meal; she always looks forward to her feeding. I do not give her any treats but if I think it's warranted, I give her 1 little Kernel which she thinks is great.

I was recently discussing dog food with my neighbor. She found out her dog has a lot of allergies. I went home to look at my ingredients and was in complete shock. My 2 pups are on the special vet weight management dry food. The first ingredient listed was powdered cellulose! How is this healthy? I went to their website and they try to explain way why their by-products in the food are so much better. Here I have been feeding my dogs this ** food for 3 years spending hundreds of dollars on what I was told by my vet and the website was a healthy food. I am sick to my stomach. I feel like both my vet and Royal Canin is very misleading and misrepresenting their product. Somehow this brand is recognized by the AAFCO. I think they should revisit this company.

When I tried to post my comment I was denied. The site indicated that there was profanity present in my review. That was absolutely untrue. So they managed to keep my 1 star review from being posted about their product. So I have provided a copy of the review I attempted to leave: After a slow two week transition to this food my 13 year old cat suffered his first seizure. The seizure lasted from the time I discovered him suffering at 5:30 am until the emergency vet gave him a sedative - about 20 minutes of pure hell. My cat was diagnosed with diabetes 7 years ago. I was worried the seizure was due to low blood sugar. But the test run by the emergency vet said his blood glucose was in the normal range for a diabetic cat.

After reading reviews on Consumer Affairs and other sources I am worried that this food was the cause of the seizures. The comments posted about soy based pet food have been scathing. But the diet was recommended by my vet to treat the inflammatory bowel disease my cat was diagnosed as having. There was no improvement in his condition and then came the seizure. I wish I could take him off this food and try something that is grain free. But I chose to say goodbye to him instead. I have no way to know for sure the food triggered the seizure. So I am posting this comment to urge you to think long and hard before making this purchase.

I received my beautiful kitten Sandy, and being naive to required animal nutrition and such, she was on IAMS kitten formula. When I brought her to the vet to check on her brown teeth, they recommended right away to go on Royal Canin Dental. Fine. Your veterinarian tells you to go on a specific diet, you listen. As she got older we always bought dental because that's the diet she was prescribed to be on. Around 6 years old, she started peeing on mine and other's beds in the house. It was unnatural behaviour, so we went for a check up. Of course, like many others with animals on Royal Canin, a bladder stone resulted. She was switched from dental and went on the SO formula. Did not help at all and she wouldn't stop barfing. Anyways, surgery was required to remove the stone. I am just happy that she wasn't more seriously sick and she is better now being off of Royal Canin.

Please if your vet recommends Royal Canin, know that it is just for the money. A true diet for cats, and dogs too, is not animal by-products with a bunch of crappy gluten rice fillers. Working in the pet food industry has opened my eyes and realizing all of the better brands out there. Please do not feed your cats and dogs this brand, it is just a money making company and they do not care for your pet's well-being.

I almost had a coronary when I found out that this product contain soy protein isolate alias msg! Is it to make them eat their crappy food with gmo grains that may kill them before the msg does or is it to make them drink more water to get you off the hook for urinary blockages? Don't bother talking to the company. They couldn't care less. It is just a business to them and to hell with your cat.

My cat had bladder stones about six years ago. The vet was able to clear them out with medication and avoided surgery, but told me she had to be on RC Urinary SO for the rest of her life. Everything was fine until the most recent purchase. I bought a bag on 12/22 and started feeding her from the new bag on 12/23. By the morning of 12/24, she was vomiting every single time she ate. She could not keep anything down. We have now switched her off the food and she is able to eat and keep it down. I don't know if they have recently changed their formula or what, but please, do NOT feed your animals anything from RC. I don't know if the vets are getting kickbacks for prescribing it but please research anything you feed your animals. It's heartbreaking to know my cat is sick because of something I did.

I took my dog (a 18 lb mixed chihuahua/terrier) into the vet earlier this week because I suspected he had tapeworms. The vet said that his discomfort the night before might also be a sign of a gastrointestinal blockage - and said that she wanted to put my dog on a new food immediately (with no switching over) to help with any blockage just in case. So she pulled out Royal Canin Gastrointestinal high energy. My dog normally eats Acana Wild Atlantic and that has made his coat glorious, his backward sneezing gone, etc. His poops by the way were normal all this past week - he only vomited a worm up once and pooped what I believed to be worms.

So I gave him his worm medicine with this new food - seemed to be okay - his poop was solid. Come day 2 though - he has violent diarrhea, grey and explosive projectile, his entire snout was swollen on one side, and he has tufts of hair coming out of his skin. I put him on chicken and rice but the fact he had only 1 can of this and his symptoms were so severe - I'm so upset. DO NOT give your dog this. It is poison. I trusted my vet and now my dog is sicker than he has ever been before.

My 4 year old cat has been diagnosed with urinary tract infection since being a kitten and as such, has to eat food that is supposedly designed to accommodate this challenge. The vet has several brands, but Royal Canin was singled out by the vet as being the better. We balance his diet with a combination of wet and dry products, either 50/50 mix or, as we do now, wet food 4 times a day (3tbsp) with a dry food bin there for him to pick at when he fancies.

Now here's the problem and no end of calls made to Royal Canin has a fix for what is in my opinion, a serious problem. The 165g. can of URINARY SO discolours within 2 hours, smells terrible within 6 hours, is rancid within 12 hours, even when placed in the fridge and locked inside a vacuumed container with all the air sucked out by a FoodSaver machine. The response desk at Royal Canin admitted the problem, but offer fixes such as: take out of can and place in glass dish or SS dish to no avail.

The product instructions state that one should cover and refrigerate remaining in can. I have tried this product on 6 different cats and they all turn their nose up after 8 hours storage. My best tomcat won't even approach the dish once he gets a whiff of the stuff when placing on the floor. It cost a second mortgage to buy this crap as only half the can is ever eaten. Any suggestions because it seems that all brands associated with Urinary Tract Diets are the same, yet the regular commercial food from pet stores stays fresher lasts a lot longer than the stuff available only from vets.

Royal Canin is a great food. My dog had been on many foods before but only liked Cesar's, as most small dogs do, but then she got sick and I had to get a prescription Royal Canin (two different types) and she loved them. I highly recommend this product. It is hard to find the prescription brand, as you do need a prescription from your vet for this food. I would give Royal Canin even if she hadn't been sick. Wish I knew from the beginning.

We gave this to our older kitty when she needed to have some wet canned food to supplement her diet. She loved it. Her favorite flavors were Oh My Cod and the chicken option. It helped give her extra nutrients and water when her kidneys were taxed. Although she passed, we also give it to our two new kittens and they love it too! The ingredients are easily tolerated and they like the flavor. You can find the product at your local grocery store. We actually order cases of it when it's on sale and it keeps nicely. Because the cans are smaller the content is not wasted.

I fed both my 5 yo adult cat and my 4 month old kitten Royal Canin at the veterinarian's recommendation. Boy was that a mistake. My kitten ended up losing weight and having diarrhea. My adult cat ended up hospitalized due to nonstop vomiting and diarrhea. They've started recovering now that they're off Royal Canin. Something in it is poison to them. So disappointed. This is very scary and alarming.

Our 3 year old 70 lb dog was overweight and had always had digestive problems. We tried many foods. Our vet suggested Royal Canine Satiety. The very 1st day we watched an amazing change. All the digestive problems disappeared. We didn't even have to mix their old food like usual for a break in period. Both dogs loved it. We only have to feed probably a 3rd as much food because of the nutrition, so we are probably even on the extra cost on food alone. Then there is the 13lb weight loss in 6 months that we could never accomplish before. She is at 57. I saw all the bad reviews. WE ARE HAPPY Campers!!!

This product should have a LARGE skull and crossbones on it. I lost my cat to this horrible concoction they refer to as food. First of all cats are carnivores, they are NOT and should NOT be fed a cow's diet, meaning corn and corn gluten should NEVER be used in their food (especially when corn is one of the highest allergies in cats). My cat was mega healthy, he got a blockage that was corrected and the vet prescribed this nutrition-less nightmare to my cat and he was dead in a month. And just in case some "vet tech" comes on to tell me there's a number of reasons my cat could've been ill (where generally that could be correct), it isn't in this case.

I was a vet tech and I know (apparently) more than my present vet, because as a vet they should KNOW what they are prescribing. Apparently the profits outweigh the quality care. This food is WAY overpriced to boot. Purina urinary formula is almost the exact same formulation, so for those hell bent on killing your cat you can do it cheaper. Where my experience has been with their urinary formula, when you read other reviews it seems to be a common thread throughout that this brand is overpriced garbage. Buy at your (and your animals) risk. A side note: I have 2 other cats who also started vomiting on this food. Once pulled off the vomiting has stopped.

I have been feeding my youngest cat RC Duck formula for about six months or so now. She was on it due to my vet's recommendation, after my cat began licking and pulling her hair out. Could have been dietary allergies or nerves, not sure which. She started out well, but I received a can from the vet's (in a full case) that was bent. When I popped it open, it was COMPLETELY covered in disgusting mold! I was horrified. Other cans in the case were dented too.

Contacted Royal Canin, and the company was totally nonchalant about it. They did NOTHING to remedy the situation. I gave them all the pertinent info re: case, batch number, etc. They didn't even offer to replace the case, which I spent $75 bucks on, at $3 per can!!! Unreal. Oh, and my cat started puking the week I found the moldy can. Coincidence? Perhaps, but still very disconcerting. My cat's already sick, don't need to add infected food to the mix. :( I'm going to start looking for another brand to feed her.

My female miniature poodle had bladder stones removed surgically and was put on a diet of Hill's multipurpose C/D. I started feeding it to my Yorkie and he was eating it but the kernels were large and I thought I would try the Royal Canin. They did not have the small dog so I fed him the large regular SO. He started vomiting and getting loose stool. I took it back to the vet and they ordered the small bite. While I was waving for the small bite to come in I switched to Hill's again with no problem. I picked up the small bite when it came in and the Yorkie got loose stool then diarrhea and vomiting. Last night I took him to emergency because of black stool. He was diagnosed with blood in his urinary tract. There was no signs of parasites and they did blood work which looked normal. The vet put him on special medication for a week. I suspect that the food has caused the problem and after spending $240 I am taking the food back to the vet.

We have used Royal Canin for years until a recent purchase of dog food. My pug is not the same, she started off with diarrhea one week and now vomiting the next week. We took away her food and started her on bland food, chicken and rice. She started to introduce her normal food and after her vomiting again she is refusing to eat any food. We have never had any issues until this month. After reading all the reviews I am terrified for my dog.

We had one cat who had a urinary blockage and the vet suggested we start feeding him Royal Canin S/O wet and dry. We were told that it would be fine for both cats. The first case of wet food was fine but the second had a different consistency, almost as if they changed their processing. After being on the food for just over a month, our second cat became extremely ill, constipated and throwing up. We took him back to the vet and both attending vets inquired to any recent changes in diet, acknowledging that such a change could be the cause of his potentially deadly issue. He was so backed up that sedation was required to help clear him out. Needless to say the poor thing has never really recovered.

Follow-up research of Royal Canin Urinary SO has found that severe, debilitating constipation, such as what affected our cat, is a common issue in both dogs and cats. Reading all the other consumer complaints, I find it irresponsible for any vet to recommend RC food. My vet has sent RC my complaint, my invoice and photos of the bag of food we still have (not using of course). The vet had been told by RC that there have not been any complaints to the company about this product. This was the first, and that my info has gone to their consumer relations department. To date I have not heard anything from RC directly. I would suggest everyone here who has had issue with RC contact them directly.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Profile