2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.50/5

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

If I could I would not give this any stars, but it makes you. My cat is diabetic. I bought 3 24 packs of 3 oz. Cans of Royal Canin Glycobalance at 35.99 each 24 pack. That's a lot of money to waste on a cat food that I find out that made my cat's sugar go higher b/c guess what it's full of starches. My vet acted surprised when he saw the ingredients and was disappointed that a diabetic cat food would have all these starches. I'm very upset, my cat is my baby and he's had a lot of medical issues and to find out I put all this money into this food thinking it would help regulate his sugar and it just made him worse makes me very upset. This food should not be made to sound like it's good for regulating sugar. Will never buy ANYTHING from royal canin EVER again!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

We have 4 cats who all eat the Urinary SO prescription food. One of our cats has a serious problem with crystals in his urine and we never had to worry while they were eating this food. We have gotten this food for years with no problems. The last couple of days, I started to notice a bright red color would appear in the wet food after it had been exposed to oxygen. We called the company and they said it was some kind of bacteria from pigs' livers and we must live near water or had flooding. We don't. I don't know what the moisture level in our home would have to do with it. This is wet cat food. They said it was fine for our cats to eat. First of all, I don't believe any cat should be knowingly fed bacteria, so that is ridiculous. Also, our cats refused to eat it, which is definitely a sign that something is wrong. Our vet had no real comment but made a note in our chart.

This has made me so angry that the company would not care at all if our cats get sick or die because of this. Our cats are older (10/11 years) and a couple of them already have health problems. I am thankful that so far they don't seem to have gotten sick from this, but I will not feed this red stuff to my cats. I will be switching brands if I can find something that won't kill our cat with UTI issues.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Got ???? WORMS in a Royal Canin sealed pack which was unnoticeable. As usual we fed our dog the same not knowingly it was having worms in it. After some days he got allergies all over the body. My dog suffered a lot and we suffered watching him. When I mailed them they told they would just replace the bag of food. That’s all. What about the sufferings of my baby. I would never ever go back to this brand????

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

My cat has eaten SO for about a year. All of a sudden he wouldn’t eat it and became ill. He lost all energy, salivated and hid. We stopped feeding him this food and introduced one that was had already researched would be safe for a short time that is over the counter, so to speak. We mo I tired him and then called our vet. We’re trying other options now. He is marginally better today. We’ll see if he eats the other options tonight. I emailed Royal Canin 4 days ago when this started and they have not responded yet. So we learned they changed the formula and texture and recipe. Without telling their customers. They are making cats sick. I shudder when I read the other reports. This is not made up or internet hype. This is really happening. I hope they lose a lot of money. They are jerks in my book. Stay away from them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have two cats who have been on Royal Canin Urinary SO and have loved it and been fine for years. Recently opened a new bag (the gold packaging used to be green) and my two cats over the course of 2 weeks have stopped eating it, have diarrhea and were throwing up. They are lethargic and not themselves. Called RC and gave them the batch number and they said they would test it and reply back. That was two days ago (January 3, 2020). Not sure how long that will take but I am not confident they will return my call with any info or responsibility. The lady on the phone was nice, but said there was nothing wrong with the food. I told her I was seeing lots of complaints about it online and she said, "Well, sir, you know with social media lots of people say a lot of things." I honestly do get that, a lot of people get very brave behind a keyboard, but there is a pattern and a LOT of people are having issues and that’s just those of us who take the time to write/post.

I asked her if I truly was the FIRST person to call with a complaint and she said YES. I can't believe that. Everyone having issues needs to post reviews but ALSO CALL RC and complain. I'm very worried about my cats. And I don't think RC will own up to anything. Meanwhile, I'm about to be neck deep in vet bills. My cats are indoor cats only. We don't feed them table food or anything else but this expensive prescription food. We have switched prescriptions to Hill's Science Diet's version of the same thing and they are barely eating that. It’s like they are scared to eat because that causes pain. The pet food industry is a scam…they know we love our pets and will do almost anything for them ($$) and they exploit that. It's big business and they have too much at stake to admit anything unless forced to do so.

My vet said that they have to have "a certain number of complaints" before they are required by law to report it. Please write your reviews and call RC. The batch number on my bag in question – 07MAR2021 19250001 RFT F1 07:12. I returned the bag to PetSmart and they gave me a full refund…but I saved some of it in the event this needs to be tested by an independent source. If enough of us have problems perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order? Please help to put RC (and the pet food industry) on notice. This is unacceptable and inhumane and very irresponsible. To say I’m mad is a gross understatement.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: June 10, 2019

I’ve use a variety of the brands for cats with differ conditions. From kitten food to cats with digestion issues to cats with kidney disease. I cannot afford the vet foods and finds that the pet store versions are almost as good. The aging 12+ is amazing for my elder cats - it’s designed with an appetite stimulant and lowered phosphorous and great for cats with kidney disease. You also cannot get any better than the kitten.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I've purchased and fed both my dog and cat Royal Canin. I have a large breed mastiff/pitbull and she's elderly and fussy yet she does like this brand. We buy the sensitive stomach line and it does seem to help her. It's pricey but not the most expensive so it's a reasonable value considering it's palatable and has plenty of variety for breed and size.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I am not a dog and my dog is not able to tell me whether it is good or bad since I do not eat dog food. But my French bulldog is healthy, her skin is healthy and she seems to enjoy her food. I appreciate the fact that Royal Canin produces a product that is breed specific.

Original review: April 6, 2019

This is a prescription diet (Urinary SO) for a dog following major, expensive surgery for a big cluster of bladder stones. She has had no further problems after several years on this diet. It is quite expensive, but because both my cats and 1 of my 2 dogs all were on different prescription diets, for simplicity’s sake, I feed Royal Canin to both dogs. It cannot hurt, and the extra expense is worth it!

Original review: April 3, 2019

My dog is on a special diet. She eats urinary so moderate calorie. Royal Canin can only be bought at the vet hence the low score on availability. The price is mid scored because it is on the higher side, but still is on level with the expensive brands (Orijen) that I used to buy.

Not sure about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right dog food for you.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information