Diamond Dog Food

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This food made my puppies and momma so sick. It caused vomiting and diarrhea to the point of dehydration. I could have lost them!! We put them on a different food and within days they are all better. Diamond should do something but all they do is lie to the consumer. I will never feed this to my dogs again. I really hope that no one else has to go through what we did.

We have five large dogs. The grand dog is Rott/Husky and the other four are mother (Stafford bull terrier/golden) and three sibs (lab/pit/mastiff/shep, etc). They have been on Diamond Lamb/rice and Chicken/rice for about 9 months now. At first all seemed fine, a couple of the pups have allergy problems and we're told these foods were best. This last fall and winter was not been good tho! Our most susceptible boy started to scratch all over in the fall, followed by the others. Not suspecting the food at all, I began researching other causes. I have put my dogs through every homemade remedy I could find on the internet. Visits to three different vets, months on steroids, etc. NOW when doing a price comparison for Diamond, I find this forum!!

This is unbearably sad that dozens of loved pets have died or been sacrificed because of this food! I pray it has not been too late to reverse the effects in my fur babies. They have the diarrhea with and w/out blood, constipation, itching so bad they have rashes (see pic), lethargy, trouble walking, hair loss, wet oozing swollen eyes, chewing feet, also infected swollen ears. I would hope some action would be taken on this matter to make sure no other dogs suffer like this!

Off and on dogs get sick, figured it was food but with 10 great Danes, bags get mixed in large container. Have called Diamond a couple times, "oh no problem, food just came from different state maybe", and animals fed different feeds to produce the dog food. Made sense, would refund if we took back to store. Hard to do when mixed & put in big container bags burned. We have lost 3 Great Danes in 2 mos time - 2 were very young (2 & 5). The 3rd one was 9 and had same symptoms as the one who threw up & could not move so we put her down. NOW instead of what vet thought could be, we did not do autopsies. Diamond Nats large breed Chicken & rice is OFF the table. We need to find a new affordable food, IDEAS? Reading these made me sick to my stomach, That we could have been poisoning our dogs, making their deaths unnecessary.

I have fed my boxers this for a couple of years and they have always done great on it. They digested it, their coats looked good, they had tons of energy. But about a two weeks ago I noticed a blister on one dog's lower lip and thought he did something to it and my female dog had scabs on both her sides and I thought they were probably rough housing since they both had some mark on them. Well, the blister remained and the female dog's scabs grew in number overnight. I took her to the vet and she was having a severe allergic reaction to something. I have changed nothing in their diets, have not introduced anything new to them. I looked my other boy over real good tonight and he has a blister on one eye lid. I truly think there is something going on with the dog food. The female dog got a steroid shot today so she will stay on the food, the two boys are coming off it and seeing if they clear up. If they do, she is coming off it too.

I have used Diamond Naturals dog foods for the past three years. My dogs have been very healthy on this product. In November I bought four new bags of food at the same time. We live on a country property and have four dogs. Multiple times in the past two months combinations of different dogs have gotten sick, had diarrhea and have vomited. I did not suspect the dog food. I assumed that our dogs had gotten into something outside or perhaps had a virus. However, they kept getting sick in intervals.

Sadly, one of our dogs was a 9 1/2-year-old Italian mastiff. Due to the fact that she was getting quite old I was attributing her being "off of her food" to aging. She was very food driven so she continued to eat the food when some of the dogs in the house did not. In one day she went from having solid bowel movements to being horribly lethargic with watery diarrhea with blood in it. She became so sick that we attributed other possible issues to her illness. Sadly we euthanized her due to the severity of her symptoms. I continued to feed that bag of dog food as I still was not suspicious of the food.

A few days ago I threw away the bag she had been eating and opened a new bag. Now that we are a few days into the new bag my youngest, healthiest dog will not eat the food and is struggling with diarrhea and vomiting. He now will not eat any of his food. I have found Diamond Naturals to be a stellar company and I have recommended their food products to many people who have had great success. I urge this company to look into their food sourcing for possible contamination. Our set of circumstances over the past months draws suspicion about this product. I truly hope the food is not to blame but it would be a irresponsible of us not to consider it. If there is something wrong with the food I hope this review will help others and hopefully prevent the loss of someone's precious pet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Dog Food?

I had been feeding my 9-yr old dog Diamond Whitefish & Sweet Potato food for a long time, but decided to give her the Lamb & Rice for a change, this was in Nov. The dog didn't seem to be very interested in it, but ate it for a couple of days. Then she started throwing up several hours after eating. This vomiting continued for several days, always a few hours after eating. She began refusing her food and I could see she had lost weight. I got a bag of Chicken Soup for The Soul food, also made by Diamond (I didn't know it when I bought it) which she would not eat. I then tried the Taste of the Wild food and still no interest in the food. I took her to the vet who gave her antibiotics and steroid injections and said to give her boiled chicken and rice. She did eat for a couple days and then started eating ravenously, for about a week, probably from the steroid injection.

I began slowly including a small amount of the Chicken Soup food with the boiled chicken to get her back on regular food. Then, she started refusing to eat at all, and I took her back to the vet. Another round of injections, lab tests, and meds to give her at home. Vet thinks an infection in her intestines, no blockage. After 3 days, she still will not eat anything, and her white cell count is very high. This started after the Lamb & Rice feedings, and I am wondering if it could be the cause. The dog has never been ill and has been fed several different dog foods over the yrs. After reading these other reviews, I think the Diamond food may be at fault. She will not eat at all and I am very worried.

We have been feeding our dog's Diamond for about 10 years. In the last couple of months one of our dog's got a severe allergy, broke out with hives, severe itching. My son took him for a couple of days and when he came home without being on the food he had started to clear up really well. Within a half an hour of him coming home and eating the hives and severe itching came back worse than ever. If my son hadn't taken him I wouldn't have seen the connection but it was immediate once he came home and ate. I really think something is wrong with the food. We have them on Lamb and Rice. I think someone needs to look into this.

I have been using both varieties of Diamond's Chicken and Lamb varieties for as long as it's been around. I have never had any problems with their food. I breed Shetland Sheepdogs and currently have 10 adult shelties 3-16 yrs of age. I have about 3 litters a year avg 5 pups per litter. I have fed my pups both Chicken Soup for the Soul Small breed puppy and Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy which both are chicken based. Chicken Soup is Diamond made also. I will have puppies get diarrhea and believe it or not it's from parasites. And not all parasites are detected at the same time. And, not all parasites are killed with the same medicine. I've dewormed for 3 days then get stool sampled for my baseline results. This is before pups are put on the Diamond food.

If the food is intro too quickly, they will get diarrhea. The food is very rich and if a dog has been on junk food such as the Purina brands Beneful, (contains antifreeze and killed 2 of my friend's dogs) or dog and puppy chow (no identifiable meat [chicken, lamb...) but only plant proteins, the dogs will get very ill because they have not been digesting meat proteins and this causes an overload on the poor dog's digestive system. It's a slow process of up to 2 weeks. Even if my stool sample is negative on a 3 week old puppy, by 5 wks it may be positive for parasites and the pups haven't been outside. Mom may have them on her skin from going outside. I do not blame my dog food until stools check out neg first. Diamond Naturals will give them or any dog diarrhea if they are fed too much because of its pure foods, a little goes a long way.

If you're feeding Purina, the dog has to eat a lot to get the nutrition of Diamond Naturals. Two cups of Purina is 1-1 1/4 cup of Diamond Naturals. So, if they feed the dog the same two cups of Diamond like the Purina, the dog may get diarrhea. Has nothing to do with the food, only the amount given. So, if that happens and they put the dog back on the Purina, it won't have diarrhea. Plant protein doesn't digest the same as meat proteins. Beware of some of these negative reviews. Some of these dogs are going through junk food withdrawals and makes better dog foods look like the problem and others are a parasite problems that hasn't been taken care of. Even adult dogs get parasites. Diamond Naturals dog food shouldn't cause birth defects either.

If your dog gets diarrhea, please take a stool sample to the vet as soon as possible. Until the diarrhea is under control, don't feed them solid foods at all; their system is in overload. Ease them back into their food slowly. Giardia and coccidia can be lethal to a dog and it won't matter what dog food you feed them. I love their food and best of all, my 5 shelties that live inside my home do not have "gas" such as the dogs that are fed a complete plant based protein dog food such as Purina and Ol' Roy. Not in the more than 6 years they've been eating it.

I have always bought Diamond Naturals for my dogs and never had any problems with it. My dogs were healthy, looked great and had tons of energy. Recently in the beginning of October I bought their usual 40lb bag of Chicken and Rice formula. I have a 1 and a half year old Mountain Cur and a 6 year old German Shepard/Pit mix.

My German Shepard is normally never sick and her nose got very dry and her eyes were watery, I just thought allergies with it transitioning to fall, my Mountain Cur was fine. Then a couple weeks later her nose got more dry and crusty and she started itching a lot more than usual. Again, I thought just allergies. I put Vaseline on her nose (as I've done in the past with her when she gets this in winter occasionally) and within a few days that at least got better. However, a couple weeks later her face swelled up so bad she almost couldn't open her eye, she had hives all over her face and neck and began throwing up all night and day. She wasn't her energetic self and didn't seem like the same dog. I fed her rice with a little bit of gravy and chicken and that seemed to clear up the vomiting.

My mountain Cur was fine so that led me to think it wasn't a virus of some sort. Her swelling went down and the vomiting stopped but she was still itchy. They just happen to run out of dog food around that time and because the store we buy this from is further away, I had to get something different and this all stopped and felt better right away. Not sure if the food caused this or if she was just sick, but after reading reviews it seems this all is happening since this past summer and fall with bags being bought and just coincidentally got sick around the same time and she never gets sick. I am shopping around for a new food for them as I will not be giving this to them unless something changes. I am not going to put my dog through that again.

I have been feeding my dog Diamond Dog Food for about 1-2 months now..Recently about 3 weeks ago after purchasing a New bag of Diamond Dog Food my dog being throwing back up the food after about 30mins of eating it... He got to a point where he stopped eating, drinking and just not being all around his normal self. You could tell something wasn't right.. He went from having diarrhea to being constipated.. We thought it was Parvo at 1st so we took him to the vet. Wasn't Parvo. So after not eating for about 3 days straight he slowly started back to drinking water and then slowly got his appetite back. We began feeding him a different brand of dog food.. He didn't throw it up and he didn't get sick. He actually got better.

Last night he ran out of that food so I fed him the Diamond Dog Food and guess what. He threw it right up 30 minutes later... So that's when I realized it was the food the whole time. Please be careful trying this Brand out for your pet. I think they need to pull it off the shelf for a while until they fix the problem. Definitely needs to be a Recall on Diamond Dog Food. I was feeding him the Diamond Naturals Beef & Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food.

I have used Diamond Performance for a long time. My dogs loved it. They looked great on it. However, my male started losing hair and getting hot spots. I took him to the vet and he had to have a steroid shot and allergy shot. His condition never got any better. Brought my female over and fed her two bowls of your dog food. Within 24 hrs of the second bowl, she had a small hot spot pop up. Definitely the food causing it. All 4 dogs I own were broke out with bumps, that itched, and then hot spots. I had to change their food. They are now getting better. I don't know what your company is doing different, but the food needs to be recalled and tested!!! Something isn't right with it!!!

I have been giving my dogs Diamond brand for a long time. Lately I have been wondering if the Diamond Lamb and Rice adult is effecting their health. Don't know for sure, but for some reason I am wondering about the food! I have a boxer and a few weeks ago she weighed 56 lbs and today she weighs 49lbs. and has been diagnosed with liver disease. She has never had a problem with weight loss. She has thrown up and she has had bad gas, and acts like she is so hungry every minute.

My other dog a miniature Dachshund has not been wanting to eat and when she finally ate a little bit, she started itching and threw up, and started eating grass. I am so worried! My boxer has been started on supplements, and antibiotics! Hope she returns to good health! They both have been eating grass. The date on the bag is of date, so I am at a loss for words. I CAN NOT TELL FOR SURE IF THIS PROBLEM IS DUE TO Diamond Brand, or if it is coincidence that both digs started having issues after I got a new bag of food!

We have had our beautiful dog, Carla (a shelter dog we saved as a puppy from being euthanized) for about 11yrs. We have always used different stages of Diamond Dog Food & she has done wonderful & stayed healthy. Now, in the past 12months, we are finding once we get halfway through the bag, no matter where we purchased it from, it has mold in the food. We believe it is coming this way in the bag. Upon getting the bag home, we empty into a container with a lid & have found the mold right after opening. I feel there needs to be a recall if this many bags are coming through our home alone, not to mention all those who aren't noticing & feeding their pets this mold! Thanks for hearing my complaint.

I started my puppy the day we picked her up on Diamond Puppy food. I do not feed her human food. She has been visiting the vet as scheduled for all deworming and shots. At first she experienced some loose bowels and we overlooked it thinking it was because she was starting a new food and going thru the deworming process. But now, 14 wks old, she has had severe gas and liquid diarrhea for 7 days straight. She is not vomiting and there is not blood in her stools. I believe the cause of her illness is due to this Diamond dog food. The manufacturer has to recall this food and get it off the shelves! I am taking my pup to the vet again today to help her. DON'T BUY DIAMOND NATURALS PUPPY. SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH IT.

I have had my dogs on Diamond Naturals for a few weeks. My male dane has always had allergy problems, so I did not connect the itching with the food until my female dane started having problems. My male, has large patches of hair loss on his belly and sides. The female, now has small patches appearing, and their fur is dropping like crazy. I now have them on some home cooked foods and mostly raw. It has been very distressing!

My brother’s ex- Service Dog had IBS. Most dry dog food would give him explosive diarrhea. We tried Purina, Blue, you name it. We got to IAMS Dog Food and he was better. However it made his sister have IBS also. So we held out looking for a good brand that would make none of our 6 dogs and 2 cats ill. Finally we went to our local TSC and found Diamond Brand. It was and is great!

He doesn't get sick and neither does she. Our female GSD was underweight when we got her. We rescued her from an abuser home. She weighed 50lbs when we rescued her and how she weighs 70 and still gaining like she should be! We have our 3 GSD's and 3 Shitties and two cats on this Diamond Dog Food. It is amazing and worth the price. 55lbs for 37$ isn't too bad when it costs more for the vet. So if you have an ill dog who has diarrhea, feed them Diamond Dog Food Athlete! And yes I know, cats should not eat dog food, but we free feed for a few hour out of the day so it is only a snack for them, they get cat food at night. I recommend this to almost anyone who has a dog. Especially if they have diarrhea and/or have a high drive and active. I give this a 5 star rating for how amazing it really it! Thank you Diamond Dog Food Brand.

I gradually switched to Diamond Naturals over the past few days. My yellow Lab started having a bit of a stomach upset, gassy and loose stools. By the time I was 100% transitioned to Diamond, she was having diarrhea, vomiting up water, and she smelled absolutely awful. She was also moaning, which she never does. My Shepherd had loose stools and was gassy as well. Heeler mix was fine, but he eats 1/3 of the amount of food the others do. I went out and bought a bag of Pro Plan immediately after reading similar reviews on here. Lab is doing better now. Will never risk my pups' lives on cheaper food again.

I have been giving my dogs (12) chicken and rice for 4 years. Last week we got 2 more bags. Now 2 in the vet. One is in bad shape. 2000.00 in vet bill and still there. The other took him this morning. Going to sue them.

I have 2 dogs, a German shepherd mix who is 8, and a Bernese mountain dog, who is 5. I have been feeding Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice for a few years now and haven't had too many problems, but starting this past July, my Berner started losing weight and didn't want to eat the food anymore. My other dog wasn't crazy about it either.

When I took my Berner to the vet, he was diagnosed with kidney failure. He's been a healthy dog otherwise and didn't get into any poisons to our knowledge. Something was definitely wrong with the last couple of bags of this food. I switched my dogs to a homemade diet, and the shepherd is doing well. The berner ate really well for a while and I made recipes specifically for kidney disease for him. However, it looks to be too late for him and now he is refusing to eat anything. I'm afraid he only has days left. I'm going to lose my fur baby due to this food - so heartbroken!

I started my 6-year-old boxer on red Diamond Dog Food. He loves it!! He's gained weight, bulked out more energy. He does terrific. The price is very reasonable. I've tried other dog foods. No comparison. Glad we switched to red Diamond.

I tried Diamond Food because Steve Regan store recommend it! It read great on the label! I started it and My Standard Poodle died, then my girls got loose yellow stools and we're not doing well! Now, I know it was on recall, it had Salmonella! That is why my girls had loose yellow stools that's smelled horrible and it killed my boy! That was a thousand dollar dog it killed! It was devastating to me! So then I had to buy another boy and not sure this cute boy will ever be what the other boy was! I am still upset over it! I then changed the girls to wholesome from IFA and over night they firmed up the stench is gone! But still not sure they are as active as before! I wonder what damage was done to them!

My 12 week old puppy was on Blue buffalo puppy food for 3 weeks. My husband just got a puppy and he wanted me to switch my puppy to his puppys Diamond Naturals food because he was told it was the best. My puppy being on it for 5 days now is having severe diarrhea and is not as playful. My daughter said to get him off of that it's bad. We just took him off today because I feel he is lifeless and not happy. Lets hope this is the end. He is now back on Blue buffalo and pumpkin to help ease his belly.

Diamond dog food almost killed my 3 month old puppy - Just purchased a new puppy over a month ago. The Diamond Dog Nature's Domain puppy formula (Chicken and Rice) came highly recommended by the breeder. It's labeled as a 'generic' brand for Taste of the Wild. We were excited for the new puppy and wanted the best for him, so we decided to purchase the bag at Costco. For over a month, the puppy has had many problems, runny stools (green, slimy), nonstop diarrhea, stench. For past 3 days, he became lethargic, vomited numerous times, and refused to drink or eat anything. Our playful puppy no more. Once again we rushed him to the vet and after numerous stool samples, IV fluids, probiotics, antibiotics, anti-nausea meds, etc, it was determined that the food was making him sick. It cost us multiple hundreds of $.

We stopped Diamond Dog food immediately and gave him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. He has been eating more, drinking, and slowly getting back to his old self. The vet said if we didn't bring him in on time, he would have more serious complications. Diamond Dog Food company needs to recall their food from all shelves before more pet owners and the pets suffer!

I have been purchasing Taste of the Wild dog food for more than 3 years without complaint. July of 2016 I purchased the Lamb and Venison Bison Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food, in Wisconsin, and discovered webbing and worms in multiple bags. I returned them and the store I purchased them from opened multiple bags and found webbing and worms! I called their distribution center and they discovered webbing and worms in multiple bags!

Unfortunately, I only discovered this after my 6 year old German Shepherd became so ill she almost died! She was vomiting, had diarrhea, was drinking a lot of water, eyes had glazed over and she could barely stand. She had multiple trips to the veterinarian, tests, x-rays, needles and medications. I have contacted the Distribution Center. They have contacted the Diamond company to inform them of the contaminated food they have found in their warehouse. THREE WEEKS had passed and they had received no response!! I finally posted the photos of the webbing and worms and my story on their facebook page. The company contacted me and is now telling me the food was expired and that was why there was webbing and worms. I have expiration dates and production code numbers proving it was not.

They are also saying I am the only one who has complained of this happening. I am reading other people posting and realizing I am not! Diamond needs to take responsibility! Dogs are becoming ill! If this is happening to your dog, please take photos, get the production code and expiration date from the bag. If there are enough complaints can we make a difference and get them to take these bags off the shelves?? My veterinarian believes there will be no long lasting effects from this experience; however, my dog is still not back to her normal self and I am concerned because she is still unwell and our vet nor the company can "prove" it was the contaminated dog food that caused my dog to become so ill. Coincidence?

We bought Diamond puppy formula food for our 8 week old puppy. She had loose stool when we got her (breeder used the same kind). Tried to isolate the problem, and it was her food. My I year old daughter brought me a small BOLT that looked like one of the pieces mixed in with the food! I do not recommend this for your dogs, and suggest the company raises their standards, so they can stop putting out this crap! Diamond: get your stuff together!!

My dogs are 4 and 7 both in excellent health. The youngest is full pit and the other a mix. I purchased a bag of Diamond Naturals lamb and rice last Friday 8/19/2016. They have both been on this this food for several years. By Sunday Jack - the youngest - was very lethargic and in a daze. He was drinking but refused to eat unless hand fed. My other dog stopped eating Sunday but had no other symptoms. Jack continued to be in a daze, almost not recognizing us, no energy at all, could barely get off the floor. He seemed better Monday afternoon, but relapsed again Tuesday. Upon researching food recalls I hit the jackpot and found this site. We immediately got new food and he began to eat this afternoon. His glands are very swollen and I am hoping that any damage is repairable. We are waiting for blood work.

This evening he ate an entire bowl of home cooked food, as did our other dog. There is no doubt it was his food, not only were we force feeding it to him, we obviously were poisoning him as well. Hoping we caught this soon enough, it is sickening that Diamond has not recalled this food that has killed and injured many. It seems I am one of the lucky ones that may have caught this before death. Our feed store refunded us immediately and were also very concerned and unaware of issues with this food.

I buy the Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice for my cat and my dog and my daughter's two dogs. Three weeks ago my cat broke out in horrible hives and started losing his hair and hind end. He's so bad now he has no control over bladder, has lost lots of weight and is going crazy with itching. All three dogs have loose stools and two have moderate itching while the bigger dog the third one has huge sores, no bladder control, losing hair, and is losing his mind over the itch. Wouldn't have thought food except about 150 other dogs are suffering same symptoms and some have died eating the diamond naturals. So this is no coincidence. Something has happened in the facility that makes packages and distributes this food. Several have been sold at Menards all over Michigan.

We live in Jackson, Michigan and all bags have been bought in end of July first of August. You really need to investigate what's going on with your food. My poor cat has been with us 10 yrs and I have to have him put to sleep as his kidneys are failing. Also the big dog has same kidney failure symptoms. RECALL THIS DOG AND CAT FOOD BEFORE MORE INNOCENT FAMILY MEMBERS DIE TO WHATEVER IS MAKING THEM SICK.

I didn't know that 4Health, sold by Tractor Supply, was made by Diamond. I was out of Purina 1 so I bought 4Health lamb and rice small bites on 7/25/16. Came back from vacation on 7/31/16 and saw my ten yr old shepherd throw up. It continued till she was hospitalized on 8/4/16. She wasn't responding to IVs, antibiotics, steroids etc and transferred her to large hospital on 8/8/16. She had quit eating and became very weak. The new vet did everything she could think of including an $835 transfusion. They could not understand what had caused her liver failure so fast. $2000 later and she died last night. When I read these reviews I was shocked and I talked to the Diamond vet this morning. She is going to try for an autopsy on my shepherd. My other two dogs have shown no signs of illness but they're younger. I ran to the store for Purina 1 last night.

I've had my American bulldog on the diamond naturals beef and sweet potato for about a year and a half. I moved from colorado to Illinois in February and when I ran out of the food from colorado in March, I re loaded. He began showing signs of food allergy that I have see. Before, but also the seasons changed so I thought it wasn't the grasses. Finally went to the vet and was told bacterial infection. While treating this, I gave him boiled potatoes, tuna, broccoli, coconut/fish oil. It cleared up, but halfway through the next bag, it flared up again. I can only deduce the incessant scratching from something in the food led to the infection. Reading the post about the English bulldog with oozing sores only gave me more empirical evidence to support my claim. I believe blue buffalo comes from the SE factory in south Carolina, and merely repackaged in different bags. Blue buffalo had a recall the same time I started fighting this - coincidence? I think NOT!!!

I have fed my 5 year old yorkie Diamond Naturals chicken dog food for the past 3 years or more. With the last bag I purchased, my dog began itching badly and scratching. She also has clumps of visible dandruff, mucus in her stool, vomiting, and hair loss. It is definitely the food because she has had no other changes and isn't rating like she normally would. Heading out right now to buy something else for my poor girl to eat. She is acting pitiful.

Diamond Dog Food Company Profile