1.64/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

207 Diamond Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We had our yellow lab on Diamonds for 8 yrs. until he got cancer and died, now we have a black lab and a brindle pit/lab mix and we give them the same food. After trying another brand their skin became dry and they were scratching so much and we switched back to Diamonds. Our lab had diarrhea for a couple of days, took her to the vet and she had a stomach virus nothing to do with the food. I stopped buying doggie treats and rawhide bones after reading what they are made of. Now for their treats they get broccoli, sweet potatoes, watermelon, apples (no seeds) and carrots and they are doing great. Sometimes it's not the food but the treats, rawhide toys are horrible for them and their digestive system plus the dyes and ingredients in their dog treats can cause them a lot of problems so read the ingredients. But fresh vegetables and fruit is much better. Give them raw and they will love it. But I will always keep mine on Diamonds.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Did y'all change something in y'all's Diamond Adult dog food 50 pound bag? I have noticed in the past 2 bags of dog food, that my 6 dogs NO longer have a pretty shiny coat (Fur). Nothing has changed in their daily routine. Keep in mind I have been feeding Diamond Adult for about 7 years, other than when I switch about 2 years ago to the Diamond Natural Lamb and Rice. I ended up going back to using the Diamond Adult. I wasn't impressed with the Diamond Natural Line. With all that said. I paid way too much money to feed 6 dogs for something that y'all have changed. If it has something wrong with it y'all really need to recall. Please respond with something. Feeling a little cheated and disappointed. A month ago I would of recommended Diamond to anyone. Now I wonder. Thanks.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My dog has been eating 4health for a few years. A year or so ago he experienced explosive bowel movements after eating the grain free beef stew - the clerk at Tractor Supply was unaware of any issues. A few months ago I bought 2 bags of the hip/joint bones (he had eaten them before and no problem). After eating a few out of the first new bag, he became lethargic and vomited the foamy phlegm that I saw someone else on here had described. I threw away the bag. After a month I decided to open the new bag and try one, thinking he may have just not felt well before, AND seeing no recalls. He ate one and within the hour looked like someone who was drunk. He fell over and couldn't get up, was also vomiting the phlegm.

My son helped me get him into the car and to the vet. By the time we got there (by now a couple of hours since eating the bone), he was acting alert. The past few weeks he has refused to eat any of the 4heath dog food with the exception of a couple of the cans. He began acting lethargic, drinking a lot of water and losing weight. Our vet has just put him on meds for a kidney infection as his white count is up and BUN level is off. After seeing these other comments I have no doubt something is wrong with this food and treats. But what to feed him? Guess I will be making my own since I don't know that there is any brand to trust anymore.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

After using Diamond grain free salmon and sweet potato for 5 days my 3 dogs became sick. Was not sure it was food related at first but after three nights and days of throwing up the food and one dog panting throughout the night and could not make it through the night without pooping. Between the three dogs we would have 20 piles of poop a day! They spent two nights throwing up! Horrible experience. Immediately stopped the food. Only tried it because the cost was less than other brands of grain free. It was like poison to them! Beware!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

We have been using this brand for about two yrs. My Dachshund for the past two months has been experiencing some sort of bacterial illness from the food. Black diarrhea, severe vomiting. Can't do anything but lay there. She did a round of antibiotics. Did ok, even gave her a soft, different brand of food. Everything returned to normal. Once we put her back on the Diamond Naturals Lamb and rice, we have to take her for an emergency appointment on a Sunday. Same symptoms returned. If my dog dies, I fully pin it on this Diamond Naturals brand. Recall it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Dog Food?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have used Diamond Dog Food for many years. I started with Extreme Athlete, and then it became too expensive. I then used Naturals and decided they did not have enough protein. I have been using Diamond Performance lately and has been very good for my dogs. To all the negative comments about Diamond Dog Food, pay attention to expiration dates just like you would for your own food. Expired dog food can do horrible damage to your pet. This is not the fault of Diamond but of the store you buy your dog food from. They don't want to lose money and they know that the majority of consumers do not check the expiration date so they continue selling the expired dog food. Pay attention to this to keep your loved one safe from many fatal problems associated with spoiled food.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We have been feed our dogs 4Health for the past 2 years. One of our dogs was ill with liquid diarrhea on Monday. We began feeding him chicken and rice while he is ill. 3 days later, a second dog refused to eat the 4Health formula (the ill dog is not in the home at present). On the 4th day, our 3rd dog suddenly is refusing to eat the 4Health chicken and rice formula. I went online and noticed that there are 2 very current this month - October, 2017 consumer complaints about this food. I am leary, and will not continue with the food, because I believe the dogs are telling us something. I will keep posted on the site to see if there are other 4Health complaints, and will try to figure out how the company should be notified. I was instructed to switch foods by given them chicken and rice human food and transition them into our new choice. Fingers crossed there is no recall on 4Health. We chose this product after extensive research and affordability.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My daughter has had her pup for 4 years. She is a AKC Basset Hound and on last Sunday she left us all heartbroken. After purchasing a big bag of 4health whitefish and potatoes dog food my daughter and Bailey returned home from college. After opening the bag and feeding Bailey a bowl we left for a few hours and upon returning my wife and daughter's walked into a house of horror and it was only the beginning of this nightmare. BAILEY had vomited and had bloody diarrhea all over the house. She was completely lethargic by Sunday afternoon and died Sunday night. She did not eat anything other than this dog food. Please don't put your beloved pets life at risk. DO NOT BUY THIS DOG FOOD.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

My experience is similar to what I'm reading that others have experienced. They have been on TOW for over two years and have been enthusiastic at meal time up until this month. I bought their usual flavor, Pacific Stream, and they started behaving odd. They would sniff their food and rather than eating it they would just look at it or look to see if their buddies had something different. When I urged them to eat they would reluctantly, but would quit as soon as I stepped back. They would also vomit frequently and were eating tons of grass. I went to a different store and bought another bag thinking that the first store may have stored it in conditions that caused that bag to go bad, but they reacted the same. When I saw one of my dogs eat a few bites and then vomit right next to his bowl, I knew that there was a problem at the manufacturer and not at the retail level.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I have been using Diamond Naturals Dog Food for about 11 years. I used to buy the chicken and rice exclusively but changed that 1 1/2 years ago because I have one dog that is allergic to chicken, so now I only buy the Lamb and Rice. I have 3 dogs, one that we just got last December. When we got him, his coat was dull and flakey and he smelled. He is a Chocolate Lab. Within 2 weeks, his smell went away and his coat is healthy and glossy, just like my other 2. I have faith in this food and have never had any problems with it at all.

In fact, the first dog I fed it to lived to be almost 16 years old and initially started with that dull coat from the not so good food I was feeding him, and changed to that beautiful healthy coat in no time. We also had another dog along with him and she was 13 when we lost her. These were large dogs 90 lbs and 75 lbs respectively. The ones I have now are 80 lbs, 65 lbs and 45 lbs. I will continue to feed them Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. Great product, less fecal waste and firmer poop. Glossy coat and skin is healthy.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I have two saint puppies, from two different breeders from two different states. It was recommended from a friend to use Diamond puppy food for large breeds. After we had their puppy check ups and we're finished with their puppy shots we thought we could then switch foods. Well one puppy got sick so we took her in, she has serious bladder/ kidney issues. About a week later the other started peeing all over, we took her in and she has the same issue. So after meds and months of special prescription food and UA tests done every other week, one puppy was getting better. One of the puppies will not recover, we were too late with her.

After researching and removing everything from them it boiled down to the food. Our vet asked what we were feeding. Well it was diamond naturals for large breed puppy, he then told us he has many, many cases exactly the same. He has lost some and he was able to save some of them. But this was what we all had in common. I am losing a family member due to this food. Please DO NOT FEED DIAMOND unless you want a outrageous vet bill and possibly lose your pet. I am heartbroken and will NEVER buy this food again. Also I will be very vocal every chance I get to keep people from going through this same thing.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I have used Diamond Maintenance for over 11 years, I have raised 3 puppies on their puppy food but sometime about a year ago we noticed the dogs weren't eating it like they used to. At the end of the day they all still had food in their bowls, but thought it was because we had to rehome our livestock and with them our great pyrenees as well. He would clean up the left overs, he had acid reflux and DM was the only food that he could keep down. I have a golden retriever that is my service dog, and she acts like she is starving and has begun scavenging garbage, a very new thing, she is 9 years old and is getting too heavy, also have an 8 month old pyrenees puppy. We are training to replace her and a 7 year old shi tzu.

My pyrenees was snake bit almost 4 weeks ago so we started supplementing their diets with beef spare ribs, it gives them extra nutrition but the puppy is a chewer and the bones help that, along with keeping him from licking his infected paw. We won't give them anything with coloring in it, and try to feed a good food, so we opted for a different brand at the feed store, they are eating it better, and no leftovers.

I believe they changed their formula a year or so ago, it was a brand the hunt club swore by, the owner of the feed store said he has been selling less of it. If they did change something they need to go back to the ingredient or stop using the new manufacturer if that is the case, but we aren't using it any longer. I need my dogs in top form to help me, they are invaluable "medical equipment". I have been looking at different brands but will see how they do with this new one from the feed store, we may keep them on that and continue giving them bones with fresh meat on them. Something is up. If everyone is having the same issue, sounds like a class action suit should be looked into.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Our dogs have been eating this brand for years and over the last few months they have started to refuse to eat it. Furthermore they have been acting lethargic. I have a pug who will eat a boot if you let him. Something is not kosher. After reading the other comments I am switching immediately.

Original review: July 7, 2017

We have 2 Labrador pups that started out on different brand (very healthy, energetic puppies) - we switched to 4Health on recommendation of TFS employee last month as a less expensive option. Most recent purchase of food (2nd bag of 4Health) has resulted in lethargic pups with diarrhea, and now they have no appetite. When I bought this last bag, I had to get a smaller size because the large 30-lb bags were sold out (for 2 weeks). I have not seen a recall, and employee at store was unaware of one. Strange to see empty shelf for a popular product, which makes me think there is an unannounced problem with production or quality.

We'll be returning product to local store for refund, and putting pups back on either Wellness or Nutro brand. NOTE: I have 2 older dogs that have not had the puppy food, and are okay. All dogs play together, so I am convinced the dog food is the problem after reading other reviews. A number of years ago, the two older dogs got sick after eating Purina brand - they quit eating altogether until I got a different product for them. They bounced back, but I remember there was a massive recall because the food was tainted with melamine (from rice production, I think).

Original review: June 30, 2017

I have used 4Health dog food for some time. My Yorkie started losing weight and the got a bad odor about her. Her stool got black and loose. Went to the vet several times and finally got her off the 4Health dog food. It was too late for my baby. She went into kidney failure. After the start of the symptoms, over a thousand dollars of vet bills, she died within 3 weeks. I am devastated to think I killed my baby with this dog food. She was just 6 years old and in perfect health until the weight loss 3#, yellow foamy vomit (sometimes), black loose stools, and her odor. This was a good product, but something has changed in the past 3 months or so. BUYERS BEWARE.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Our Bullie has been an indoor service companion her entire life. She's had zero health problems until about a month ago when she refused to eat (Bullies never refuse to eat). She became dehydrated and lethargic in a matter of a few hours. I nursed her through the next few days until she got out of the woods. She had extreme urinary inflammation. Here we are again. 2 weeks later. Same problems. Her condition is touch and go at this point. By process of elimination, we have to assume it is the food as she seems to get better when we switch. She's just not letting us feed her this time around.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I have had my dogs on Diamond food for the past two year however this I had to switch from the chicken Naturals to the Diamond HI-ENERGY. The chicken was making them sick. They would vomit a yellow foam up after about an hour after eating. They didn't do it all the time. Just from time to time never very much then their weight started dropping and they wouldn't eat it anymore. It would set there all night so we took them off the chicken.

Now they are on the Diamond HI-ENERGY and came down with a lot of gas. They seem to love it but then after two weeks they stop eating it again. They would vomit a yellow foam up after about an hour and would be gasses again. Didn't want to eat it. Now they both have explosive diarrhea. They're indoor dogs up to date on everything were very healthy dogs. Something has change in this food and it's making the dogs sick and they don't seem to care about. We need to get this out and end it before more love ones become sick or loses their life.

Original review: May 30, 2017

My dogs were fed Taste of the Wild. Great food just spendy. We bought our house and needed to trim money from somewhere. Bought this food hoping for quality and a little cheaper price. I have two American Bullies and a Lab all adults. After two weeks of food my Lab has lost all the hair off his butt, has weeping sores, after 4 weeks my female Bully has welts all over her body, my male has diarrhea. I am switching to Costco brand dog food. Do not feed your dog this food!!! It's basically poison. I called customer service first. Was told they would pass the message on but was offered no advice or help or anything. Very unsatisfied.

Original review: May 27, 2017

It sounds like mine is one more voice added to the resounding negative reviews of Diamond dog food. Very concerning. I had been feeding my 5 month old Golden Retriever puppy the 'Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Food' lamb and rice formula since she was weaned from her mother. However, the last bag of food I purchased for her in April 2017 caused my dog pain and suffering. She had chronic diarrhea, vomiting, was lethargic, had some blood in her stool, even the shakes and a potential minor seizure one day. She even developed flaky and irritated skin under her armpits and belly. Whenever I'd cook chicken and white rice for my dog, she would get back to normal. However, as I would slowly try to re-introduce the Diamond Naturals kibble back into her bowl, the vomiting, loose stool and diarrhea would return.

My vet had no idea the food could be causing the issue, until I recommended trying a different brand or something prescription for a while (my vet originally thought she had a vitamin B-12 deficiency, a kidney issue, or was eating things off the ground). Now my puppy is on prescription food (Hill's Science Diet) to calm her gut for a month until I decide to try a completely different brand of puppy food. Especially after reading the other reviews, I'll never feed my dog Diamond Naturals again - it's not worth the risk. I think the company needs to seriously consider a recall on the bags of food put into stores within the last 5 months. Please take conscientious action, Diamond Food!

Original review: May 25, 2017

I bought 4 cans of Diamond Naturals, thinking it was healthy from the ingredients, etc. I have 5 dogs ranging from small to large. I give tbsp. in dry food for big dogs and tsp. in dry food for little dogs. 4 of my 5 dogs are seniors and 3 of my 4 are small dogs. Dachshund started with diarrhea. Then my 110 lb Shepherd. Then my Chihuahua. Got online and read the reviews on here and called my vet crying! The dogs have only little amounts and maybe 6 meals. Should be ok but I'm nervous now and watching for any signs that it gets worse. Little dogs and senior dogs have harder time recovering, hope I caught it in time before severe issues. So sad to hear all the animals and families suffering from this.

Original review: May 21, 2017

We are show breeders with an impeccable reputation. We have an exclusive ranch with a 3600 sq ft poured dog patio with bordered oak trees and open air pavilion. Our dogs have NO exposure to other dogs, dirt, grass, rodents, etc. When we get contaminated food we know it immediately! Sadly we know of no dog food (expensive or otherwise) that is safe! You go along for a while OK then wham! Aflatoxin, or salmonella, e-coli or other FBI. Vets help the dog, of course but are derelict in getting behind your effort to hold the dog food company liable. The country cries out for - simply - a good quality (USA made and sourced!) dog food that won't injure or kill our dogs!

Diamond recently almost killed our top female and the vet wound up spaying her, later determined to have been unnecessary!!! Blood work showed stress to her liver and kidneys, secondary to the food toxin. No history of such in her line going back 4 generations. Symptoms included high fever, lethargy, diarrhea, vomiting and ultimately a limp, near death state. IV fluids, antibiotics and round the clock treatment for 2 weeks saved her life. (Thank God). She is still on the road to recovery and we are grateful, however, we will never be able to keep the offspring that we had hoped to perpetuate her incredible genetics.

Original review: May 6, 2017

We have two Havanese littermate pups. They are 6 years old and have eaten 4Health Dog food for four years. Last week, we replenished our supply of can food which we mix with 4Health dry food. Our female pup had a seizure the next day (Thursday) after eating from the new supply. We took her to the vet for blood work to find she had liver issues. At first we thought it was potentially a congenital shunt (potentially still a contributing factor). The vet put her on KD prescription food at that time. We did not notice another seizure until Saturday afternoon and then two additional seizures on Sunday. Our male dog continued to eat the 4Health food as normal until he had a seizure on Monday and we knew it was an environmental issue. We took him to the vet to find his bloodwork showed liver issues as well.

My wife researched to find the reviews on this page which solidified our belief that it is a food issue. Both dogs have been feed the KD prescription food this week and seem to be back to their normal selves. I pulled the cans from the recycling bin when food was believed to be the issue. The two cans were: grain free beef and chicken (lot#1102503) and lamb and rice (lot#1159242). We contacted Tractor Supply to register a complaint with this information. They are going back to Diamond to determine next actions. We want others to know what we have gone through and to encourage others to speak up if they have experienced the same issues we have experienced. Other dogs should not go through what ours have gone through.

Original review: April 29, 2017

My Doberman loved this food for a while then started acting different. He had bad gas, runny poop, was eating grass to throw up, started shivering after eating it then developed a lump on his foot. So took him to the vet it appeared to be some kind of allergic reaction and his histamine level was high then noticed he started refusing to eat the food altogether so I researched and surprise I found a lot of people having very similar issues. So I changed his food and now he's eating again and seems like he's getting back to normal. I only hope there's no major health issues caused from that food! Please for the love of your pet DO NOT feed it to them!

Original review: April 26, 2017

I just bought my third bag of this Diamond Natural Large Breed Puppy food. My 6 month old doberman has done very well with the first two 20 lbs bags. He scarfs his 2 cups down within a minute every meal. Until this morning when I opened up a brand new bag of the same Large Breed Puppy food that I bought yesterday from Tractor Supply in Hiram, GA. I was surprised that after 10 minutes, my pup was still chewing slowly. Huh?? Was he sick? Well, I had some leftover food in the pantry from his Humane Society gift bag, so I decided to see if he would eat that to determine if he was sick or if it was the Diamond dog food. He scarfed it down!! So he wasn't sick. There is something wrong with this batch of food... I didn't notice any mold, but my dog does not let his food hit the floor and there were crumbs all around his dish. Tractor Supply refunded my money and I will no longer buy Diamond!

Original review: April 18, 2017

I switched my 8 month old dog from Nutro to Diamond Naturals 6 weeks ago to try and save some money. Big mistake! She tolerated it for a month. She then just quit eating at all! She started vomiting and diarrhea for several days, shaking uncontrollably. I had to carry her outside to vomit and poop. Saddest thing ever!!! I know you're not supposed to just switch without transitioning but I had to! She is back on her Nutro and within a day is significantly better. So glad after reading these reviews I knew immediately it was the food and stopped it. They need to do something about this asap!

Original review: April 10, 2017

DO NOT USE DIAMOND DOG FOOD!!! My husband and I brought home our 2 little Chocolate Labs home on the 18th. We fed them Diamond Puppy Dog Food. They did great for a little while and we bought another bag. They started getting diarrhea and it just kept getting worse. On the 31st I called the vet. He gave them a prescription for colitis and it worked GREAT! They finished up the pills on Friday morning and by Saturday afternoon the diarrhea was back with a vengeance.

After talking it over with my husband we decided that maybe it was the food. We agreed to change their food to see if that would help. We switched to IAMS Puppy. When we got the new bag home we decided that instead of gradually changing them over, we would just start feeding them the IAMS since their systems were so racked by the diarrhea.

My husband went to dump the DIAMOND PUPPY food in the trash and we found MOLD! We had been feeding out little ones moldy food. No wonder they were sick. Now before you say that water must have gotten into it, their food is kept in an airtight, plastic container in the house and away from any water source! We have had these containers for over 10 years and have never had any problems.

We have contacted DIAMOND to let them know but the investigation is going to be hampered because we didn't keep the bag or receipt. If I can get the receipts they will reimburse us for the food. What about the vet bills? The new containers we are have to buy? What about the health and well-being of these little ones who look to us to take care of them? I trusted DIAMOND DOG FOOD with my pets' nutritional needs and they failed miserably. Now that we have switched their foods they are eating more, the diarrhea is still there, but they are getting better. Please don't let this happen to your animals. DO NOT FEED THEM DIAMOND FOOD of any kind.

Original review: April 5, 2017

We changed our dog food to 4Health thinking it would be better for her to eat no grain or crap in it. Boy was I wrong. Lillysue was in perfect health until 2 days after eating it, she wasn't getting having she had loose stool and peed more than normal 3 day. She started falling over and she woke us up about 3 am crying. I put her on the couch and at 6 am she had a bad seizures. We took her to the vet and it went down hill from there. The vet tried everything they could but it was too late. When the blood work came back she was poisoned. No liver, pancreas and kidney failure. No hope at all. I had to put her down on Monday 4/3/17. I need help to stop this and have the food from the checked out. Can you help me. By the way Lillysue was a 7 year old healthy Boxer. Help me please.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I'm begging all who read this. Please, Please, Please... Do Not Feed your dog Diamond Naturals. Our 6 year old healthy rottie started on Diamond Naturals one year ago. Last week I opened a new bag of beef and sweet potato and it nearly killed him!! He began to vomit uncontrollably and nearly went into a seizure! Two trips to the vet in 7 days and a very, very sick rottie, we'll never buy Diamond Naturals again and I very strongly suggest the killer dog food be banished for store shelf's indefinitely!! Shame on you Diamond Naturals!! I'm going to make my dogs food from now on!

Original review: March 9, 2017

I switched from Beneful to Diamond Naturals when Beneful started having complaints. I have fed my pack of 5 dogs Diamond Naturals for the past 3 years with no incident. A month ago I picked up a bag of Diamond Maintenance to give it a try. Within a week, all 5 dogs were vomiting. Two of my dogs had bad seizures within a day of each other (neither had ever had a seizure before). I called my vet and he said to get them off of that bag of food immediately. I did as instructed and the vomiting stopped. I wonder how the production of this food is regulated. It now seems like you can't trust any dog food company now.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I was in the process of switching my 12 year old Lab/Aussie mix to Diamond Naturals Senior Dog Food from Purina Prohealth. I was mixing the food. Since the switch, he has become lethargic, having episodes of about three hours where he can't move and began urinating blood. The vet called in a script for ** and we have since stopped the Diamond and he is back on Proplan. He is doing much better, his urine is becoming clearer, and he is actually getting up and moving a bit. I really think Diamond dog food has made him this sick. He had no issues prior to the switch.

Diamond Dog Food Company Information