2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.68/5

Diamond dog food specializes in nutrient-rich formulas that contain healthy levels of protein, fiber, fat and probiotics to support pet growth, energy and digestive health. Diamond dog food is formulated with ingredients such as beef, pork, chicken and salmon that contain high levels of protein, and the company provides specific recipes for all sizes of dogs and each stage of a pet’s life.

BOTTOM LINE

Diamond dog food offers a wide range of highly nutritious formulas for all stages of a dog’s life. Diamond can be pricier than other brands, but each formula provides essential nutrients not found in some pet foods.

PROS

• Grain-free formula available
  • Wide range of special formulas
  • Available online from retailers
  • Guaranteed probiotics in all recipes

CONS

• Can be pricey
  • Only sold at authorized retailers

Top Diamond Pet Foods Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Pet Foods?

I have four German Shepherds and they can be a little sensitive to different foods … It’s the only food that they’ll stay on consistently … My long coat shepherd's coat looks so much better on Diamond than it has with any of the other food. We really like the lamb one.

All my dogs seems to do good on Diamond Pet Food and I recommend it. It’s good food at a good reasonable price. I have Yorkies and Shih Tzus. I use the Puppy on all my puppies and the Adult on the adults…

Diamond Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

What is Diamond dog food?

Diamond dog food creates nutrient-rich pet food formulas designed for pets in all stages of life. The company works to keep prices down while offering high-quality ingredients. Diamond conducts regular rigorous quality tests in its facilities to ensure products are safe for pet consumption.

Its product lines include Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Diamond CARE and Diamond Pro89. Pro89 is rich in proteins and amino acids from grains, pork and beef and contains glucosamine and chondroitin. Diamond CARE is a line of four specialized diets for sensitive skin, renal formula, sensitive stomach or weight management.

Diamond puppy food

Diamond puppy food supports brain and vision development, and it helps dogs maintain shiny coats and healthy skin. It contains omega-3 fatty acid DHA from salmon oil, which is also suitable for nursing dogs.

The puppy formula also contains 80 colony-forming units per pound of probiotics to support healthy digestion, and antioxidants such as vitamin E help develop a puppy’s immune system. Ingredients include chicken, whole-grain corn, wheat, chicken fat, beet pulp, egg and flaxseed. The Diamond Naturals line also offers options for puppies.

Diamond Naturals dog food

Diamond Naturals is a complete line of canned food, dry kibble and treats made with vegetables and fruits, cage-free chicken, pasture-raised beef and lamb and real salmon. Diamond Naturals includes food formulated for:

• Adult dogs
  • Puppies
  • Athletic dogs
  • Large breeds
  • Small breeds
  • Senior dogs
  • Light diets

Diamond Naturals are formulated with superfoods, including quinoa, chia seed, kale and spinach, that are high in nutritional value. All recipes contain probiotics for digestive support.

The company also sells treats with lamb, beef, chicken or peanut butter.

Diamond dog food price

Diamond dog food ranges in price based on the formula and product line. Diamond Naturals products are pricier than other lines produced by the company.

The popular Diamond Naturals chicken or lamb and rice dry food for all life stages is priced at $36.99 for a 40-pound bag, and the grain-free option is also $36.99 for a 40-pound supply. A 12-can case of Diamond Naturals wet food beef dinner for adults and puppies is $23.88. A 16-ounce bag of Diamond Naturals peanut butter treats is $5.99.

Diamond Dog Food FAQ

Who owns Diamond dog food?
Schell & Kampeter Inc. owns Diamond Pet Foods.
Who sells Diamond dog food?
Diamond dog food is available online from Chewy, Amazon, Naturally Unleashed, Tractor Supply Co. and PetFlow. You can also buy it from authorized retailers in your area, including veterinarian offices, pet stores or feed and supply stores.
What brands does Diamond dog food make?
Diamond dog food makes Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Diamond CARE and Diamond Pro89. Schell & Kampeter, Diamond’s parent company, also manufactures Taste of the Wild pet food.
Is Diamond dog food grain free?
The Skin & Coat All Life Stages Dog Salmon & Potato formula of Diamond Naturals dog food is grain free. Diamond Naturals contain rice, oatmeal and other grains.

Is Diamond dog food good?

While Diamond dog food isn’t the cheapest pet food available, all formulas contain probiotics for pet digestive health. For pets that require special diets, Diamond has a wide range of formulas to choose from. The Diamond Naturals line contains superfoods rich in nutrients not typically found in pet food.

Diamond Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

We really love Diamond Pet Foods. We breed mini Goldendoodles, F1B. Our dogs are a mix between a purebred golden retriever and a purebred poodle. Then we take that Goldendoodles, which is what we own and breed them back to a full-blooded purebred miniature poodle, which produces the F1B Goldendoodle puppy. Diamond Pet is what we feed everybody, either the puppy brand or the adult brand. Every time we sell a litter of puppies, I give out one of their brochures on feeding. I don't make it mandatory, but I highly recommend that they continue on what we had been feeding.

We give the clients a notebook that has several categories in it. One is nutrition which we put the brochure or pamphlet, and we made a copy of the feeding chart because the feeding chart’s not on the sample bag. So we made a copy of what the purple bag looks like that we buy, and the 40-pound puppy bag, so they know what it looks like when they go to get it. Then we have the tab on registration, where they can register their dog. We have a tab on tips. Then, we have a tab for vaccinations for when we’ve taken them to the vet and show that they’ve had their shots and deworming from a certified veterinarian. We send that home with them.

I’ve been really happy with Diamond. We've been using it for many years. We got married in ‘70. We're a farm family and that was one of the things that interest me about the Diamond, that they started their business about the same time we got married. So we've been using it for a long time. It is a pretty easy process getting samples from Diamond. The first time, I just sent a note to customer service saying, “Hey, would y'all do this?” Then the next time, they told me just to go to my local store. But when I went to my local store, they weren't familiar with it and didn't know anything about it. They didn't know how to do it. I said, “That’s okay.” So, the next time I need it, I’ll just send another note to customer service saying, “I did try to go to the store, but they weren’t familiar with getting samples and never heard of that." Even though I told them to call customer service, I can handle it myself easier than going through them.

I would love to be able to have an account set up with Diamond. We’re a farm, so we have accounts set up at a lot of feed stores, the feed mill, the hardware store and the other supply store for when we have to buy parts for the tractors and trucks. I would love to be able to buy Diamond direct, rather than having to go through Tractor Supply, but I don’t know if that’s possible. But if that’s not possible, I understand.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I like the Diamond Naturals, that’s what I was doing at. I started all my puppies with that, which I still recommend them being on the puppy food, the Diamond Natural Puppy for all the puppies. Diamond own Taste of the Wild as well. And then, they came up with the Taste of the Wild Prey. So, I switched from Diamond Naturals to Prey. If you get any picky eater, you give them Diamond Naturals and I guarantee they'll eat it. After my puppies were born, I had a professional photographer take pictures with the Diamond Natural dog food bags there with them. It was really cute. A guy just came on Saturday and picked up some cat food and he said, “All my cats won’t eat anything.” They're indoor cats. I said, “Try the Diamond Naturals Indoor cat food.” And he said, “They won’t eat it.” I said, “Yes, they will.” So, he took it. I haven’t heard from him yet. But I’ll guarantee, they absolutely love it.

I have Labradors and German Shepherds. I did large breeds. So, I do all the Diamond Naturals Large Breed. I don't breed anymore. I work with rescues now. I did the two litters because I only bred my female every two years, and I only do two litters. A lot of people don’t. They breed them every single heat and the poor things can’t regenerate, and there were just so many rescues out there. So, I thought, “There is no sense me breeding anymore.” I didn't wanna get into buying new dogs to breed. So, I found the shepherd mix. And so, I’ve been doing them now since 2013, I’ve been working with rescues.

People come to me and they go, “Wow, do you oil down your dogs? Their coats are so shiny.” I said, “It’s Diamond Naturals.” It makes their coat extremely shiny. In fact, I have quite a few articles on my website about Diamond Naturals. I have a paper that I give to every single one of my clients that come that I have printed out on, “Why Diamond Naturals.” Number one is the ingredients from USA and made in USA. They go, “Well, the other ones are made in USA.” They go, “Oh, but we should get Blue Buffalo.” I said, “Yeah, I looked at that too because their marketing is really good. However, yes, they are made in USA, but their ingredients come from China. I’d rather get Diamond Naturals.” I’ve made a lot of really fancy marketing things of Diamond Naturals.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I'm a breeder and I have a few litters each year. And when you're dealing with Siberian Huskies, they're actually very sensitive to different foods. You need a food that’s high in protein and low in filler, because they don’t tolerate large quantities, but they're very active and they need a lot of high energy. Even though the Siberian Huskies are fairly large dogs, they typically, by and large, eat less than dogs their same size. I needed a high energy food and I never had real good luck with some of the same diets.

I used to use Nutro Natural and it used to used to have a high energy. They labeled it as high energy, that was similar in the formula to the Chicken and Rice Diamond Formula. Nutro Natural started playing around with their chicken and rice formula and at that time, it was recommended that I try the Diamond. I had also tried Taste of the Wild in the past, but it was a little bit too rich for my dogs and they ended up getting diarrhea. So, I personally have been using Diamond Chicken and Rice All Stages formula for almost 5 years now. I currently have 8 Siberian Huskies and they're all doing very well on it. I found that the dogs are getting enough nutrition on a smaller volume. Their stools are good, their health is good, the puppies grow well, and my overall adult health has been good.

Once the puppies get to the point where they're taking solid food, they start on Diamond. I've been using the same food for the puppies after they're about 4 or 5 weeks old. Then I found out that Diamond has a sample program and I was very excited about that ‘cause I used to give samples. Since the last few months, I’m in the program now where I get samples from the company and so I'm handing some samples and brochures with the last litter. But I have to put them in plastic bags since I didn’t have the actual sample bags that they provide. Also, the only problem I ran into is that there are not a lot of retail outlets in Tucson, Arizona. We even lost a pet food chain that was carrying it. They don’t carry it at either PetSmart or Petco. I'm getting it through Chewy’s at the moment, and that’s working out well for me.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I breed corgis and the last litter that I did, I sent them home with Diamond samples. I've got a litter that's going home on February 22nd and 23rd and I will send samples home so that they can continue on with the food that I'm feeding them. Then I bought my puppy food from my local Tractor Supply but I didn't but it in bulk.

I would love to find a way to buy in bulk. The 40-pound bags of puppy food is 36 dollars for a bag. I'm feeding 19 puppies two to three times a day so I'm running into some money. My vet tried to get me to use Science Diet before and I bought four bags from her. It was cheaper because it was just a plain bag. I don't like it though so I don't feed it. But if Diamond could produce something that was less expensive and that saves me money, I'd love that. I want good food for my dogs but I do everything professionally and I don't cut corners. It would help me if I could save more money on their food. The supplier that I checked with and got it from gave me a little discount because I bought 52 bags at once and it was a pallet-full.

I’m happy with the food. Before I changed to Diamond, I've had Authority puppy food and I always used the chicken and rice. My dogs have all done well with it. So, I stayed with the Diamond Naturals chicken and rice and for the puppy food, I stuck with the chicken and rice. I like those. It's worked with me so far and my dogs have not had allergies.

Also, since I switched, my females have come in heat and I've been breeding them. I'm happy with that fact and it seems like my females are cycling. Whereas before, they weren't. But one thing that I have trouble with was my females after they have puppies. Like humans who are pregnant, they have different tastes in food and sometimes, they don't wanna eat the food they've been eating. I'm all the time having to find chicken on sale at the grocery store so I can boil it and use the broth on their kibble or cut up chicken pieces and mix them in the kibble.

It's really important that the mommas eat 'cause they've got to supply these puppies with the nourishment. I'm doing supplements that I buy from other companies and I give the mommas each one a day. But if Diamond could mix it in with food the food that more appetizing and different than what they've been eating, that would be a good thing. A lot of breeders will benefit from that and I'm gonna be sending Diamond a lot of business. Right now, I've got the 19 puppies so that's 19 more people. 9 times out of 10, the people are gonna keep feeding that puppy the food that it's been used to because they don't wanna mess up their tummy.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

My dogs have been on Diamond for at least three years. Diamond is awesome. I will not feed my dogs anything else. I breed Rottweilers. Rottweilers have to have a better quality food because of their hips, elbows and spines and just being a large breed dog. When you have them on Diamond, their coats look so much better. Rottweilers have that harder, denser rough coat and they're softer with Diamond. They grow up and when you do the OFA certifications, they get above average. And this is from 20 years experience of breeding them.

Even my breeding females, I feed them the large breed puppy. And a lot of breeders don't understand, when you have a female, like the first month that she's pregnant, you can feed the Diamond Naturals, which is the adult dog food. But once they get to the last four weeks, you need to put them on puppy food. I also get into breeding these little Poms and I need a small breed puppy on the moms and the puppies. They're enjoying it. They eat it. But I would like to see Diamond to come out with some kind of can food. I buy the Nutro can. I don't care any much for Nutro. But then I got a food processor so I blend it up to make a can food. When you have Pomeranian puppies, they're picky. But they eat that. I had them on a Nutro small breed. They turn their nose up at it.

I have a dog that has allergies and I have to get Royal Canin. It's the prescription food for sensitive skin and stomach and it's also grain-free. I'm not too happy with the food because the dog doesn't eat it. So, I'd like to see something from Diamond that is similar to what Royal Canin has. But Diamond Naturals is the best dog food I've ever fed. And if you watch some of these bigger brand names, they have recalls. And Diamond Naturals doesn't. More places need to carry it. The only place I can get it right now is at a few horse feed stores, which is Tractor Supply and Malabar Feed.

My puppies go home with samples that Diamond sent me. Hopefully, if they're smart, they will keep the puppies on it. The price on the food is awesome too. People buy the Purina Puppy. It sounds like a horrible food. They got all kinds of crap in it. Even the Purina Pro Plan, it's an 18-pound bag and it's the price of a 50-pound Diamond bag.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

We like Diamond Pet Foods. It's good for our dogs. We also use it for our puppies too. We like the lamb option. It seems to work well for them. We were buying some other food, but it was hard to get a hold of. So we moved to this and we've been really happy with it.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

We breed Goldendoodles and we use Diamond Natural. We recommend it. The dogs don't have bad gas with the food. We send a bag home with each puppy. We've had a couple of our family members switch over to it too.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I started my lab, Riley, on TOTW, Salmon over five years ago. My friend who has an Australian Shepherd, Rascal, started watching my dog whenever I traveled. She thought it would be easier at feeding time to give both dogs the same food. She already had her dog on TOTW Salmon. She convinced me it was a better food, grain free, etc. I would feed my dog in the morning, 1/2 cup mixed with a tablespoon of Nature's Domain Turkey and Pea, grain free can food. Evening I would replace the can food with Chicken meat. Riley had no problems eating the food. Recently she stopped eating, and two seizures one day, and the next she could not get stand up on her own. Took her to the vet and had to put her down due to Brain Tumor. Riley would have been 14 yrs old this Oct.

My friend's Australian Shepherd, was put down two days ago, same reason, brain tumor. Her dog experienced numerous seizures for 3 weeks and place on numerous medications. Finally Rascal too could not stand up on his own, and his condition worsened. Rascal was 8 yrs old. This is way too much of a coincidence. I'm writing to warn others who feed their dog TOTW. Even though my lab was an old dog, her quality of life was great. I only wish I had started her on real food versus this food. Seriously need to research what dog foods you feed your dog. Grain free doesn't always mean it's the best.

Diamond Pet Foods response
    I’m so sorry for your loss. Brain tumors are more common in dogs, than in people. A CT scan is required to make the diagnosis. Did Riley receive one, or did the veterinarian think that was a logical diagnosis, since labs are genetically predisposed to developing histiocytic sarcoma, a type of brain tumor?
    As far as your friend’s Aussie, Rascal, did he get a CT scan to confirm the diagnosis?

Fortunately we have not had reports of dogs developing brain cancer as a result of eating TOTW. With our shipping 45,000 bags of Taste of the Wild a week, if there was an issue I’m sure we would be receiving calls/emails from thousands of pet parents

Original review: July 24, 2020

My mother-in-law got me started on Diamond because that's what she has used for years with her puppies and older dogs. We happened to see how well it made them be more active and healthy. When we were using our old dog food or if we were out of it, we just got generic dog food and we could just tell our dogs were lazier and didn't seem to wanna get up and play. But once we went to Diamond, their energy came back and they were more playful. They're a lot healthier on the Diamond with better ingredients.

We use Diamond puppy food for the mini Goldendoodles puppies. We also feed it to our pregnant moms. Then we also get the regular adult for our other dogs that aren’t the Goldendoodles. For those considering switching to Diamond, they should write down the dog food they're on now and what their dogs are going through. Then once they do Diamond, they should write those down as well and compare the differences of how well their dogs have changed and the behavior.

Original review: July 23, 2020

We breed dogs and we're pleased with Diamond. We like that our dogs' skin allergy has cleared up and their poop is more solid than when we had them on Victor. It's also very easy to get samples from Diamond.

Diamond Pet Foods Company Information