Shop Now

3. Dog Food

4.9/5 (62 ratings)
Shop Now  on Chewy

About Diamond Pet Foods

Diamond dog food specializes in nutrient-rich formulas that contain healthy levels of protein, fiber, fat and probiotics to support pet growth, energy and digestive health. Diamond dog food is formulated with ingredients such as beef, pork, chicken and salmon that contain high levels of protein, and the company provides specific recipes for all sizes of dogs and each stage of a pet’s life.

Pros

• Grain-free formula available
  • Wide range of special formulas
  • Available online from retailers
  • Guaranteed probiotics in all recipes

Cons

• Can be pricey
  • Only sold at authorized retailers

Bottom Line

Diamond dog food offers a wide range of highly nutritious formulas for all stages of a dog’s life. Diamond can be pricier than other brands, but each formula provides essential nutrients not found in some pet foods.

Top Diamond Pet Foods Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have four German Shepherds and they can be a little sensitive to different foods … It’s the only food that they’ll stay on consistently … My long coat shepherd's coat looks so m...

Verified

All my dogs seems to do good on Diamond Pet Food and I recommend it. It’s good food at a good reasonable price. I have Yorkies and Shih Tzus. I use the Puppy on all my puppies and...

Diamond Naturals dog food

What is Diamond dog food?

Diamond dog food creates nutrient-rich pet food formulas designed for pets in all stages of life. The company works to keep prices down while offering high-quality ingredients. Diamond conducts regular rigorous quality tests in its facilities to ensure products are safe for pet consumption.

Its product lines include Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Diamond CARE and Diamond Pro89. Pro89 is rich in proteins and amino acids from grains, pork and beef and contains glucosamine and chondroitin. Diamond CARE is a line of four specialized diets for sensitive skin, renal formula, sensitive stomach or weight management.

Diamond puppy food

Diamond puppy food supports brain and vision development, and it helps dogs maintain shiny coats and healthy skin. It contains omega-3 fatty acid DHA from salmon oil, which is also suitable for nursing dogs.

The puppy formula also contains 80 colony-forming units per pound of probiotics to support healthy digestion, and antioxidants such as vitamin E help develop a puppy’s immune system. Ingredients include chicken, whole-grain corn, wheat, chicken fat, beet pulp, egg and flaxseed. The Diamond Naturals line also offers options for puppies.

Diamond Naturals dog food

Diamond Naturals is a complete line of canned food, dry kibble and treats made with vegetables and fruits, cage-free chicken, pasture-raised beef and lamb and real salmon. Diamond Naturals includes food formulated for:

• Adult dogs
  • Puppies
  • Athletic dogs
  • Large breeds
  • Small breeds
  • Senior dogs
  • Light diets

Diamond Naturals are formulated with superfoods, including quinoa, chia seed, kale and spinach, that are high in nutritional value. All recipes contain probiotics for digestive support.

The company also sells treats with lamb, beef, chicken or peanut butter.

Diamond dog food price

Diamond dog food ranges in price based on the formula and product line. Diamond Naturals products are pricier than other lines produced by the company.

The popular Diamond Naturals chicken or lamb and rice dry food for all life stages is priced at $36.99 for a 40-pound bag, and the grain-free option is also $36.99 for a 40-pound supply. A 12-can case of Diamond Naturals wet food beef dinner for adults and puppies is $23.88. A 16-ounce bag of Diamond Naturals peanut butter treats is $5.99.

Diamond Dog Food FAQ

Who owns Diamond dog food?
Schell & Kampeter Inc. owns Diamond Pet Foods.
Who sells Diamond dog food?
Diamond dog food is available online from Chewy, Amazon, Naturally Unleashed, Tractor Supply Co. and PetFlow. You can also buy it from authorized retailers in your area, including veterinarian offices, pet stores or feed and supply stores.
What brands does Diamond dog food make?
Diamond dog food makes Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Diamond CARE and Diamond Pro89. Schell & Kampeter, Diamond’s parent company, also manufactures Taste of the Wild pet food.
Is Diamond dog food grain free?
The Skin & Coat All Life Stages Dog Salmon & Potato formula of Diamond Naturals dog food is grain free. Diamond Naturals contain rice, oatmeal and other grains.

Is Diamond dog food good?

While Diamond dog food isn’t the cheapest pet food available, all formulas contain probiotics for pet digestive health. For pets that require special diets, Diamond has a wide range of formulas to choose from. The Diamond Naturals line contains superfoods rich in nutrients not typically found in pet food.

Diamond Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Pet Foods?

Original review: June 3, 2021

I first heard about Diamond at Barnes Border Collies over in Braxton, Mississippi. They had been using it for 30 years and they recommended it. I tried it. For the price, it was quality food. I've been using Diamond and I get good results. Sometimes, some of my dogs don't wanna keep good weight on the Hi-Energy so I have to switch back and forth between the Premium Adult and the Hi-Energy. This keeps things equalized out.

I get good and healthy litters with Diamond. In January, we had four litters in one month. I just had a litter born Wednesday night. I start all of them with Diamond Puppy. I noticed a lot of breeders are on Pro Plan. They’re just not getting bigger litters. I would see a lot of small litters coming off of that, fours and fives. We're consistently eight and 10 litters. I've got 14 dogs now.

We breed Border Collies and I tell everybody to use Diamond. A good bit of my dogs transport out to the northeast and out west and I can’t send them something because they won’t let me put anything on the airlines if the dog was still on the crate. But the ones that were picked up here, I send them home with something. I tell the new owners to use Diamond Puppy for one year. If they wanna use something else, I would recommend blending over slowly. But at least not for the first couple of months. That way, if it upsets the puppies' stomach, that’s our indication for other things.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

We weren't happy with the product that we were using and there had been some recalls. So we switched to the Diamond Line and we weren't thrilled with it. It's not a bad food but the quality is not there. We tried Diamond Naturals lamb and rice and we were astonished with the results that we got. It's actually in our contract that our new families feed Diamond Naturals lamb and rice. All our dogs are on full feed. With the Diamond Naturals lamb and rice, they eat half of what they do in the Diamond line. We buy Diamond by the pallet and it has cut our food consumption down by 40% when we switched to Naturals.

We have two different vets and they always comment on our dogs' skin coat, their muscular development, and bone development. Our dogs are OFA certified. So we do patellas, ophthalmologists, the gauntlet and all of them are very pleased with the results on all our dogs. Breeding has a major part in that, but food also has a very high part that we believe. So that's why we push Diamond pretty hard for our customers. We know the results. We know the recalls for Diamond is extremely low. It's kind of an old school mom and pop family company. We support everything about it. But I wish Diamond supported us a little bit more.

Diamond Pet Foods doesn't sell direct, but I tried to buy through a broker out of the cities. He set me up with them and they wouldn't deliver it to me because I didn't have a storefront, which was absurd. We have a forklift. We could unload the semi. That didn't sit very well with me because we were using more dog food Diamond products than our local co-op did. So just because they have a storefront, they'll deliver to them broken pallets even though we buy full pallets. So as far as breeders go, we're their bread and butter. We promote and use their products.

Diamond does provide the breeder with samples of puppy food. They send them every time I request it. At first, they made me jump through all kinds of hoops and I filled out the paperwork. But then I'd go to request it again and they'd want me to fill it out again. We were putting 150 to 175 pups on the ground a year and that would be 150 to 175 guaranteed customers that Diamond would have because it was in our contract. But the last several times, they haven't done that. Compared to the other companies, Diamond is a little dot but they are growing exponentially. Their name is getting out there and a lot of that is due to the breeders supporting them. Other than that, I'm very happy with their product. Also, their customer support is pretty good. Everybody has always been polite and kind. The rep was phenomenal. But the biggest thing is we can use a little more support from the company.

The only thing I've ever seen is a big can and that's another gripe. It's hard to find especially the chicken or the lamb. And when we do find it, we buy everything they have and we wipe them out. So, their canned food must not be very popular compared to other companies. We only use it as a puppy mash when we're weaning, then we switch over to the Diamond Naturals puppy small kibble. But if they did small cans or even a full can to send to the breeders for their litters, it would be awesome. I look at it as support from Diamond and a thank you for being a responsible breeder and supporting their product. That carries a lot of weight with the breeders.

We got 30 pups on the ground. It takes a long time to get the sample packs out to us. Sometimes, we'll do a special breeding and that's out within a week. So I don't know what the delay is. But it's not a big deal. We have big bags of Diamond puppy and we just put them in Ziploc bags when we don't have the samples. But it looks a lot more professional for both of us if we have samples. So if they can incorporate it at canned or a bag, that would be a huge step catching up or even coming close to the other pet food brand.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

We're very pleased with Diamond. Our dogs do better on them and they seem to have better coats. I just started changing over to the fish and the lamb. I was just feeding the regular, like the Puppy and the Adult Active. It has more in it than just your regular dog food. I have Airedale terriers and Welsh terriers. We made a move and I wanted my Airedales not to be stressed out so we did not have any litters this year. My daughter-in-law took the Welsh. We have two females and those have had a litter each. I have one female breedable and I have another one that will be able to breed next year.

We've sent a lot of puppies to Alaska, Mexico, California and Florida. We've got them all over. We also have a little goodie bag with all the important information in it and the puppy toys. I usually get samples from Diamond as well as pamphlets, and I also send the same things to new puppy owners. I'm older so I don't like change and Diamond is what we start the puppies on after their mama, with a little bit of warm water. I wish Diamond would make a soft food because we also try to do a little bit of wet to get the puppies get used to it. I sometimes use a Pedigree Puppy, a canned food, for that. But we don't continue it. So, a wet food from Diamond would be nice.

My daughter-in-law has six Welsh terriers and she had started using the Naturals. She said the dogs liked it better and told me that I might wanna try it. So, I did that. I started out mixing mine with the regular Diamond. I did the one for the active dogs. Then, they have several variants such as the Maintenance and Hi-Energy. We lived back in the ranch, which is 1,000 acres and the Airedales were kinda just running. They're family pets. Then when we moved here, we had a big yard for them, so they're in a yard now. They're the active, hunting type and so, they get acclimated here. Their health is excellent and great all the time. So, we have no problems. My sister-in-law had a litter of puppies, just a little far North. She called me and wanted to know about Diamond Pet Foods. I told her that she would have very good results with it and dogs like it, and will turn their nose up at it. She had a very good experience with it also.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

We like Diamond's price point as well as the ingredients and the sourcing since the recalls. I left for a little while once all the recalls were going on, and then came back. We've been using it on and off for about 15 years. I'm a breeder, so I currently feed three different flavors. One is the Beef and Rice, and I'm currently looking for a replacement for that. Then I feed the Naturals Lamb and Rice, and then another is the Ancient Grains with Roasted Lamb. I breed Poodles and Whoodles.

They have the Diamond puppy food, which I absolutely love. I just actually tried it. I was using the Naturals puppy food, which was kind of a hit or miss with my litters. This last litter, I used just the straight Diamond puppy food. It was wonderful. However, one of the mixes, the Whoodle, that I breed has a chicken sensitivity or they're known to have a chicken sensitivity. So, I really wish that Diamond had the same type of just the straight Diamond puppy food without the chicken. That was one of the things that I’ve discussed with one of the reps that I had spoken with when I ordered samples last time.

Everything is so chicken. It's so hard to find their foods that don't have chicken in them. Diamond is one of the biggest suppliers of foods that do not have chicken. There are a lot of dogs out there who have chicken allergies. I used to work for a vet clinic, and it’s huge. To be able to raise puppies on to a food that is lamb-based is great. However, I'm not having really good results with that Large Breed Lamb and Rice. So I moved off of it. I don't recommend that one to my peers anymore. But a lot of them had to move their dogs off of the Diamond Puppy because of this intolerance.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

We really love Diamond Pet Foods. We breed mini Goldendoodles, F1B. Our dogs are a mix between a purebred golden retriever and a purebred poodle. Then we take that Goldendoodles, which is what we own and breed them back to a full-blooded purebred miniature poodle, which produces the F1B Goldendoodle puppy. Diamond Pet is what we feed everybody, either the puppy brand or the adult brand. Every time we sell a litter of puppies, I give out one of their brochures on feeding. I don't make it mandatory, but I highly recommend that they continue on what we had been feeding.

We give the clients a notebook that has several categories in it. One is nutrition which we put the brochure or pamphlet, and we made a copy of the feeding chart because the feeding chart’s not on the sample bag. So we made a copy of what the purple bag looks like that we buy, and the 40-pound puppy bag, so they know what it looks like when they go to get it. Then we have the tab on registration, where they can register their dog. We have a tab on tips. Then, we have a tab for vaccinations for when we’ve taken them to the vet and show that they’ve had their shots and deworming from a certified veterinarian. We send that home with them.

I’ve been really happy with Diamond. We've been using it for many years. We got married in ‘70. We're a farm family and that was one of the things that interest me about the Diamond, that they started their business about the same time we got married. So we've been using it for a long time. It is a pretty easy process getting samples from Diamond. The first time, I just sent a note to customer service saying, “Hey, would y'all do this?” Then the next time, they told me just to go to my local store. But when I went to my local store, they weren't familiar with it and didn't know anything about it. They didn't know how to do it. I said, “That’s okay.” So, the next time I need it, I’ll just send another note to customer service saying, “I did try to go to the store, but they weren’t familiar with getting samples and never heard of that." Even though I told them to call customer service, I can handle it myself easier than going through them.

I would love to be able to have an account set up with Diamond. We’re a farm, so we have accounts set up at a lot of feed stores, the feed mill, the hardware store and the other supply store for when we have to buy parts for the tractors and trucks. I would love to be able to buy Diamond direct, rather than having to go through Tractor Supply, but I don’t know if that’s possible. But if that’s not possible, I understand.

Original review: July 21, 2021

I really, really liked Diamond and I've been using it for a year now. My dogs eat less and have more energy. They have nice coats and they really can pack on the pounds with less food. I love it.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I like that Diamond Pet Foods has probiotics in it. We have multiple dogs because we breed them and we have about two or three litters a year. Before, I was putting the Diamond Pet samples in a Ziploc bag when I send the puppies home then I found out about the sample bag, so that's awesome. I liked the pamphlet that is also sent with the samples. It explains all the different kinds and ingredients and the different things, so that's great.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have a total of 4 dogs {2 pups, 1 adult & 1 senior). When I brought home our last 2 pups, I wanted to start them on the right food. Dog food has become quite expensive and I am disabled and on a fixed income. I wrote several premium dog food companies that I was interested in about getting some samples so I could find something they would like. I was surprised that all but Diamond refused my request. They all stated that I could buy the food and then return it for a refund if my dogs didn't like it. Who wants to schlep around town waiting in lines to return something? Being in a pandemic, unable to get around very well, I felt that I was not valued as a customer until....

Diamond was the only company to send samples (4) of their products. Each of my dogs really liked the Naturals line of food. The ingredients made me happy and the food made their taste buds happy and the pups growth makes the vet happy! Because the company treated me like a person instead of a wallet, all 4 dogs are now on a Diamond Naturals Dog Food diet! Thank you Diamond for your product and your client services!

Original review: July 6, 2021

I mostly use Diamond for my small breed doodles. I like their coats and their well-being.

Original review: July 1, 2021

We've been using Diamond Pet Foods for probably 30 years and as the different foods have evolved, we ended up going with the Diamond Naturals. It's reasonable, has good ingredients and not too many recalls, which a lot of them has. We use the chicken and rice, which is the All Life Stages. We're a breeder and when we started it, that worked well for us. We could feed the dogs from when they were puppies. But we mixed in the lamb and rice as well as the beef and rice to give our dogs variety so they were not on the same thing all the time.

We like Diamond. We’ve never had an issue with the quality of the food. We get the little sample packs and the brochures from Diamond but a number of times, I got the puppy samples but not the brochures because they were out. I'd like to see them both. It helps push along Diamond’s product if the people that we send home with the puppy samples have the brochures to look through too.

Diamond Pet Foods Company Information