It's that easy Request Information
2.46/5
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Looking for a new brand of food for your pet? Diamond Dog Food offers a variety of dry & canned food, as well as treats made specifically for your dogs. Our food is made from high-quality ingredients in order to give your dog the best nutrition possible. Visit our website today to learn more about our products & ingredients!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

218 Diamond Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 7, 2018

I started feeding all 4 of my dogs the beef and rice formula 2.27.2018. Right after one of my dogs Romulus vet checkup. The dogs really seemed to like it and I believed I made a good choice. Then around the beginning of June, my dog Romulus was not acting the same. He normally is very energetic and loves to eat. He became lethargic, vomiting, and diarrhea. It started in small amounts. I thought maybe he got into something and it would pass. He continued to have some good days but also some bad days. I scheduled a vet appointment about 2 weeks out. Then all of a sudden and I mean out of nowhere he started dropping weight, not just a pound or two but significant amounts in his last week alive. He was also dehydrated and consuming water at alarming rates.

We made an emergency appt at the vet and they ran every test. They said for us to get an ultrasound. We scheduled one for our dog but within 24 hours Romulus got even worse. He went from almost 90 lbs to 67lbs!!! We rushed him to the hospital and they did an ultrasound of his stomach and were alarmed at what they saw. It was so enlarged and hardened and aggressively worsening by the minute. This dog was perfectly healthy prior. Romulus started fading quickly and was in pain so we had no choice but to euthanize. While we were overcome with grief and distraught one of our other dogs Ella started showing similar symptoms of vomiting. The only thing the two dogs have in common is the food.

We immediately went online and saw all the same reviews expressing almost exactly the same symptoms as our dog. This prompts me to call the company. They were not very helpful at all. They said they never had a complaint and mine was the first. Are you kidding me?? Are you reading your reviews? I lost my dog suddenly and a second showing signs!!! I was able to provide the product codes of the bags and they are doing their own "testing" and will be in touch and gave me a case number. They told me to have the vets submit their findings and they will review. I doubt anything will come of this but this company needs to know their food is making dogs sick and my Romulus is gone!!! We immediately stopped feeding our dogs this food and already my Ella is doing much better and stopped vomiting. This food is poison. DO NOT BUY!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 2, 2018

I adopted a dog a couple months ago and was recommended Diamond Naturals Chicken And Rice small breed for her. I figured I would switch my other dog to this food as well so I wouldn’t have to buy two different brands. First two months was fine... Picked up a new bag of food just a week or two ago. Dogs didn’t seem to want to finish their food like they normally do. My little chihuahua started throwing up and wouldn’t eat anymore. She became very ill. She was lethargic, in pain and started having diarrhea. She had been admitted to the vet hospital for the past 5 days on intensive treatment... IV, antibiotics, vitamins, anti nausea, etc. She was throwing up blood and having bloody diarrhea and her platelets went to zero. We have had to give her a plasma transfusion.

I have researched pancreatitis in dogs since others have mentioned their dogs got pancreatitis from this food and these are exactly her symptoms. Reading other reviews this seems to be a common occurrence. She thankfully is no longer throwing up or having diarrhea but she still will not eat and is having to start being tube fed. She has not eaten for a week! This is a very expensive ordeal we are going through and she still might not make it. I feel terrible about this because I only switched her food because it was recommended. I should have come to look at reviews first! If my dog dies, I truly believe it is due to this food.

My dog was a normal happy healthy 1 year old running around one day and terribly sick the next day. STAY AWAY FROM THIS FOOD. My second dog started throwing up a couple days ago. I have taken her off this food and she is doing better and hasn’t thrown up anymore. It is terrible there are all these complaints and no recalls! Yet they continue to make dogs sick and even die. I believe a class action suit needs to be created so no more dogs can become ill and/or die.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We have been using Diamond Dry Dog food for years and had no issues. But the last few days our cat got very sick. Brought him into the vet and ran every test there was and came back with nothing but dehydration and low grade fever and elevated white blood count. They treated the cat for a parasite (but the tests came back neg for all parasites) and did an antibiotic and Fluids for dehydration. The cat had lost substantial weight, wasn't eating or drinking, lethargic. Then tonight we noticed our dog was very ill, same symptoms vomiting, lethargic, weight loss, no energy, won't eat or drink. So I check the bag to see if the dog food was expired but couldn't find a date, went online and found all the other posts about other people’s pets having the same issue.

It makes sense now, of course the cat would get sick first (yes, our cat eats dog food). It is so much smaller than the dog. We got this bag of food 6 days ago and the cat first showed signs of something being wrong 4 days ago and the dog got sick today 6 days of eating this dog food. Neither one is drinking or eating tonight and we planning on going back to the vet in the morning. Both our loved ones are very sick, super scary! I will be calling Diamond ASAP. I found a chunk of molded dog food at the bottom of the bag. Someone needs to get the word out about this dog food.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We have a pit bull who is very allergic and Diamond seems to work very well for him. We also have another dog that does not have any allergies and she also loves the food.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My three dogs enjoyed the food, but it was expensive to feed three dogs Diamond Naturals. If it were a little less pricey, I might have switched to it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Pet Foods?

Original review: May 3, 2018

Had problems with Diamond Naturals. My dog started drinking lots of water, lethargic and crying with cramping. Stopped the food and it went away. Called Diamond Naturals and they said nothing wrong with the food. Terrible food. STAY AWAY FROM THIS BRAND.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My dog eat just about everything, but seem Diamond Naturals make the dog ** more often. My dog is like a pig, keep eating and jump around for more.

Original review: May 1, 2018

My dogs love Diamond Naturals. They graze on their food all day but the dish is always empty at the end of the day. Someone recommended it to us and we have been buying it since.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I have fed my dog this Chicken & Rice Adult food exclusively for his whole life (5 years). Have never had a problem until 3 weeks ago when he started vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and stomach pain. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis and has been so sick for almost 3 weeks now. This all happened right after I opened a new bag of Diamond food (and he didn't get into anything else). After reading other stories of the same thing happening to their dogs, I knew I needed to also write a review and let people know what happened to us.

I am very upset about this, and the fact that the company is not recognizing there is a problem and issuing a recall. My poor guy is so sick and has never had any issues before now. I am taking him back to the vet today because he's not getting any better. He is losing weight, and he's a dachshund, so he doesn't have a lot to lose in the first place. He is in pain, and is depressed. My happy, energetic dog has disappeared and it's so sad. Diamond needs to recall this food and admit there is something going on with their food.

Original review: April 30, 2018

We have two Chihuahuas, Max & Merlin. They liked Diamond Naturals sweet potato and lamb for a while, then they didn't seem to like it as much. They would pick through it & only eat certain morsels out of the bowl. It was a little expensive so we went back to NutriSource. Honestly they are not real fond of that one either, we continue to look for one that they will like.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My dog did not like Diamond Naturals at all so basically the food and money spent were wasted. I did give it to my neighbor but not sure if his dog liked it or not. I don't know why my dog did not like the taste of the food.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Diamond Naturals is a great food but hard to find. Have to order it. Offers quality ingredients compared to other food with same ingredients cost is the same. My breeder recommended so I have stayed with it.

Original review: April 28, 2018

All my dogs love the Diamond dog food. They all seem to poop a lot less as well as eat less and their fur and skin are great, no dry skin, no heavy shedding or itching.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have been an avid feeder of Diamond brand food for years I mainly use beef and rice. I feed all my rescues the same food. I recently purchased a bag of beef and rice at tractor supply in FP, Alabama. Within 4 days one of my shepherds started throwing up and having ballistic diarrhea. Then came the blood from her butt. In rushing her to the vet and 2 meds and 3 days of boiling chicken. She is doing better however all of my other dogs 2 shepherds 2 husky lab mix all started throwing up and filling kennels with diarrhea. All are now on meds and has to purchase 12 bags of chicken. It’s like your worst nightmare come true. And for the record none of my large breeds ever get anything but Diamond beef and rice food nontable foods period.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Diamond dog food is great for my dog. Ozzy finished it all his food everyday. I didn’t have problem with my dog because his plate always finished clean.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I had a show quality German Shepherd -- beautiful, smart, loyal, sweet and friendly. She was a wonderful dog. Her breeder told me I should feed Diamond. So I gladly drove over 30 miles each way to purchase this food. It gave her cancer and she died at only 6 years of age. I had a friend who fed Diamond to her two prized Rottweilers. They both died of cancer very young. This food is poison. I will never feed it to another dog. My German Shepherd was a great, great dog and this company's terrible ingredients killed her.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I have 4 dogs and 5 cats, I've used many other types but always go back to Diamond. They stay more shiny and healthy. I also love that I can change flavours...

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have fed my dogs Diamond Naturals for the last year and a half. Never had any issues up until the last two bags we bought. Much like the other complaints, my dogs are having loose stool, stomach rumbling, flatulence, skin issues, etc. And it's consistent! We had to get antibiotics to rule out any parasites that could be causing our dogs distress. Last night, I was up at 1 in the morning scrubbing my carpets because my German Shepherd had a fluidy diarrhea all over my living room!

Got on the web today and found this thread with people experiencing the same issues within the past couple months and now I know it must be from the dog food. What have you done to your formula?! Whatever has happened, it is careless and cruel -- my dogs are sick and I have been paying money to my vet to try and figure out what it could be!!

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have a 4 and a half month old Boxer puppy. When the vet recommended we switch to a large breed puppy food I purchase Diamond Naturals large breed lamb and rice formula puppy food. We are on our third bag which is about 40 lb each. This week my dog became very ill vomiting multiple times in a day shortly after eating this food. While waiting for our vet to open I started doing research into the puppy food and have found over 205 complaints. 40 something in the recent months. Always similar stories. All with vomiting or hair loss. I for one will be switching brands. As making my dog ill and costing me if substantial vet bill is unacceptable. I'd like to know why this dog food has not been recalled yet. I then went to see if there has been any recalls and noted that it has not as of yet however this company has faced many recalls of its product in the past years. My suggestion would be not to ever purchase this food from this company.

Original review: April 23, 2018

My dog is a picky eater and her skin develops an allergy to most foods. For one, she didn’t want to eat Diamond Naturals and two, her skin broke out within a few hours after eating it. I suppose she knows what she can handle that’s why she seems picky.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Diamond Naturals has well balanced ingredients. Healthful and note there are no chemical additives or preservatives. My dog seems to really enjoy this dog food as he cannot wait to get to the bowl when it is time for his feeding.

Original review: April 20, 2018

We have been feeding Diamond dog food for approx 20 years, dogs always did well until the last bag we bought of Diamond natural chicken and rice and beef and rice. Dogs became uninterested in eating the beef and rice. My older guy ”13” has had kidney issues on and off for a couple of years, he was recently put on RX food, at that point, due to the disinterest. I bought the chicken and rice to go back to for my Airedale Terrier mix, we started it on the 3rd of April. On Saturday the 7th, she had a little diarrhea, on Sunday she was playing and acting herself but had diarrhea on and off, went to sleep Sunday evening and she woke us up having to go out. Obviously it was dark and sounded as if she had diarrhea again, by 3 am she had went out and had apparent diarrhea for the last time but shortly after she started to vomit, by 7 am she had nothing left in her to throw up but seemed nauseous.

We called the vet the minute they opened thinking she had a crazy virus or bloat, they told us to bring her right in. As we left for the vet, we discovered before getting in the car, all of the overnight diarrhea was pure blood, she was internally bleeding and we had no idea because it was dark. We rushed to the vet and she continued to decline rather than respond to treatment. She was diagnosed with ”HGE” hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, also that condition caused her to have polycythemia, the vet said it was from food, something she had ingested.

I had been doing nothing new except new bags of food that she had little interest in, in looking for answers, I looked for recalls on her food and found all of these complaints, very similar but ours had a nightmare of an ending. We lost our baby on Monday the 8th of April. I’m beyond crushed and also angry, my daughter is a biologist and has found a company/lab that does food testing, I will be sending samples to a lab in Michigan to be tested.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have been purchasing Diamond dog food for my two dogs for the last 7 years. They love the chicken and rice flavor and we have never had any issues, until this week. We have been purchasing our dogs' food from the local feed store but recently decided to give Chewy.com a try. Thinking maybe the dogs would like to try a different flavor we ordered the Beef and Rice. We received the food and almost instantly knew something was wrong. The dogs normally dig right in when we put food in their dish. Instead they both took about two bites and then wouldn't touch it again. The next day they were both sick and wouldn't go anywhere near the food. After reading other reviews on here there has to be something wrong with the Beef and Rice formula. Do I go back to Chicken and Rice or switch dog food completely?

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been giving my dogs Diamond Naturals beef meal and rice for over 4 years now. Within the last 6 weeks or so I have noticed one of my dogs is not finishing her food and has had very bad diarrhea. My other dog gets his prescription food mixed half and half with the Diamond food so he finishes the food but still has diarrhea. This morning my female dog would not finish her food and she never does this. As soon as I mixed my other dogs' food with the Diamond food she ate all of it.

I'm not sure if they have changed the formula but it seems like ever since the food has been in the new bags, not the paper bag like before, they do not like it. Nothing else has changed and no they haven't gotten "into" anything and are UTD on all of their shots and heartworm. And to the review that said "people need to wash their bowls and nothing has changed" you're wrong, it has changed. I wash all my bowls and obviously something is wrong if she will eat it if it is mixed with something else. Today I called my vet and went and purchased another food so I hope they love it and quit having diarrhea.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Been feeding this brand to my dogs for about a year now but after buying a couple of new bags a little under a week ago, we have narrowed it down and the food is the culprit. 24 hrs after opening the new bags, we woke up to runny diarrhea on the carpet. One dog was in and out all day long, just managing her bowels. Lethargic. Wouldn’t eat. A short 48 hrs later, the second dog joined her in loosing her bowels all over the house. 5 days after we had bought the bags of food, with dogs still having uncontrollable diarrhea, we pinpointed the culprit. It was the food. We purchase Nutro for years and only recently has switched due to this being sold at a store closer to us. But we’ll be going back to what worked for us and our dogs for almost 10 years.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I’m having the same issues many of you are having regarding the most recent bag of food. My dogs have been eating Diamond for 3 years (previously on raw diet). My male GSD is allergic to beef so the lamb was perfect for his skin issues but this most recent bag has made him sick. For those of you that their dogs recovered, was it medicine that helped or time? He’s gotten better over the last few days (since he hasn’t been eating) but still isn’t himself yet. I’m debating whether I should just give it more time or if I should get him into the vet.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I have been feeding my dogs Diamond food few years and the last bag I purchased a few weeks ago both of my dogs became very sick, lethargic, throwing up, hair falling out in clumps, diarrhea. My one dog went from 68 lbs to 48 lbs in two and a half weeks and my other dogs went from 82 lbs to 70 lbs. I took them to the vet today and changed their food. Within 24 hours they have improved but are still sickly looking.

I am very concerned because I am seeing dogs are dying from this brand of food. The vet tech said her dog has been throwing up too so she stopped feeding her the same food yesterday. I also found another woman who has two sick dogs in the same area and also feeds the same food. Another woman had four dogs pass away in October from Diamond dog food. It's more than one brand within the Diamond food company and I am getting the food tested at a lab. I will not let this go. I don't want animals to die because of their lack of quality control and care for what they are feeding animals. It's not right!!!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I purchased a new bag of dog food recently, Diamond Maintenance brand. My Great Dane eats 8 cups a day of this food. I have two dogs. The other dog does not eat this food, although he was always interested in eating it. This new particular bag neither dog had interest in, very strange for my American bully who wants to eat everything!!! Eventually my Dane did eat it, and ate it for almost 4 days before he became deathly ill. He became restless, panting heavily, vomiting bile, running a fever, lethargic, depressed, weak, shaking, shivering profusely. I rushed him to the animal emergency clinic, performed X-rays to rule out bloat, which is common in Danes. They confirmed no bloat but he remained very sick even with intestinal antibiotic medication.

I returned to the vet the very next day, ran bloodwork to find he was suffering from pancreatitis. He continued to decline, repeated X-rays and bloodwork. His intestines were pushed upward in his abdomen. Fearing he may have a mass or blockage that could not be determined from the ultrasound, we moved onto exploratory surgery. Come to find out no blockage or mass, but a very very bad case of pancreatitis.

He receives nothing but Diamond Maintenance food. No table food, treats etc. He ate this food for 3 to 4 days, 8 cups a day and it almost killed my gentle giant. He lost 10 lbs so far and it still in the animal hospital for another week receiving IV fluids and meds. I've contacted the company to only be told they ran their quality control and everything is within normal limits. I've read several reviews of people that bought Diamond food within this same time frame and their pets got sick as well. (January 2018 stamp date) Please do not feed this to your pets, it very well may kill them!

Updated on 04/05/2018: Diamond food refuses to cover my thousand dollar vet expenses caused by their food. My Great Dane is still very ill following consuming this last bag of dog food. Diamond will not recall this, as they state they received no complaints, hard to believe as there are at least 10 within the last couple months just on this website. I would like to start a class action lawsuit. If you fed this food and your dog died or became sick please contact me. I will be getting an attorney and having the food tested at a private lab. Please email me at ** if your pet recently experienced symptoms from Diamond food as well.

Original review: March 17, 2018

My husband switched to Diamond Naturals for Skin and Coat a few months ago. Everything seemed fine at first, I thought. She did start having a new behavior of whining for treats and would try to get table scraps as I scraped them into the Trash. She did get sick and vet put her on special diet for a while and gave her medication. When she recovered, vet said she could go back to her normal food (Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat). That was at least a month ago. After realizing a few days ago that she really wasn’t eating much of food, I began to wonder if that’s why she has been acting out lately. Went to pet store and bought a new brand. She is eating it all now! The best thing is she is much calmer and seems satisfied again! I just went online and googled “my dog is refusing hern” and found several sites talking about it. I am taking this unfinished bag back. So glad I took the time to check this out! Scary!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I have been buying Diamond dog food for one year now and have all 6 of my Pomeranians on it. First off... all of my dogs are restricted to our front or backyard by fence. All of my dogs are up to date on vaccines. Two of my poms are 5 month old puppies, who only use the front yard while the adults only use the back. Ok, so, after opening the newest bag of food, my dogs began having diarrhea in a domino effect. One of the adults has fur coming out by clumps as I brush her! I am very concerned it is the dog food which I have replaced with rice. I was refunded the money for the food, but can only contribute the sick behavior to the fact that there is no other contributing factors and it is too coincidental with the time frame of the new bag... and ALL of them have the runs. Anyone else get bad food 2nd week of Jan 2018?

Diamond Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Diamond is a pet food and treat company that offer a variety of high-quality and all-natural food and treats. Diamond makes food for puppies, adult dogs, dogs with sensitive stomachs, pregnant dogs and cats.

• Diamond original: Diamond’s original dry food blend comes in a variety of options. There are blends for puppies, adult dogs, hunting dogs and athletic dogs.

• Diamond Naturals: Diamond Naturals are all-natural food options for dogs of all sizes and lifestyles. These food blends come in both dry and canned food options.

• Grain-free options: If your dog has trouble digesting grains, you can purchase grain-free food from Diamond. These are specialty brands from the Diamond Naturals line that uses no unnatural preservatives.

• Online ingredient list: If your dog has allergies or trouble with some ingredients, you can check to see if your blend contains those ingredients. Diamond lists all of its food ingredients online.

• Diamond Blog: The Diamond Pet Food Blog features regular blog posts. Subjects include transitioning your rescue dogs to a new diet, tips to give medicine to your pet, how to find a diet for a diabetic pet and more.

• Best for: Dogs of all types of needs, lifestyles and sizes.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Diamond Dog Food Company Information