2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.35/5

Looking for a new brand of food for your pet? Diamond Pet Foods offers a variety of dry & canned food, as well as treats made specifically for your dogs. Our food is made from high-quality ingredients in order to give your dog the best nutrition possible. Visit our website today to learn more about our products & ingredients!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Diamond Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I've been using Diamond Pet Foods for my dogs for 20 years. They don't put a lot of fillers or corn for the type that I use which is the lamb, chicken or the beef. And my dogs never had an allergy or a reaction. They always have a solid stool every time, so I've just stuck with the food all their lives. And I'm a kennel, so I suggest all of that to my customers as well. I breed labradoodles and goldendoodles and have litters every three or four months.

The puppies I free feed, so they can eat as much as they want of the puppy food. And the large dogs, when they're pregnant or when they have puppies, are also free fed. But the male ones, I feed them three times a day. I get puppy packets from Diamond, which is a little sample bag and a little literature. I send that in a puppy kit that I make up. I let the people know that that's what the puppy has been eating, and that's what all the parents eat. And it's their choice to go somewhere else, but I haven't had anybody tell me they've ever went to any other brand.

I've been breeding the dogs for years, and everybody keeps their dogs on the Diamond or to my knowledge that they do. I also breed service dogs which are the labradoodles. I also use them for service animals as well. I sell service animals which are the same breed, but I also sell them to handicaps. And also, I discount mine for families which nobody else does. Diamond has always been really good to me and the food is really good to my dogs. All of my dogs are very healthy and very thick. I'm in the process of getting a website for my business because I've been selling these doodles for so many years and I've done it through other means. I will also add the type of dog food on my webpage that they've been feeding on.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Breeding was kind of a hobby and I've got two Irish cream labs and two female bulldogs. We use a bag of Diamond pet food a week. I use Diamond Puppy all the time, nothing else. I had tried a lot of different kinds of dog food. But I knew I had to feed the mothers higher protein when they are pregnant and then the puppies also had to have it. I had soon discovered that they do better just letting them on it all the time. I keep them in shape and I give them additional vitamins during their pregnancy.

For the puppies, we put the food in a blender with warm water and start them out with a mash when they’re three and a half weeks old. We’ll start giving a little bit of that on the side then we put them back with their mother for another week until they’re close to four and a half weeks or they’re ready to eat just that. For about a week, you can tell they’re going through the transition of not being on milk and going on some dry food. They look better after they get Diamond puppy on them for a week. They get rid of their milk belly and slim out a little bit then they blossom out from there. They look pretty healthy and we get a lot comments about our puppies. Their skin and hair always look fine as well. It’s also really nice to have the little samples to send the puppies home along with. It's more complimentary that way. But if we don’t have the small package, we usually just put the food in a ziplock bag.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I have been using both Diamond dog foods and cat foods since the early 1990's. I have raised and maintained my large breed livestock guard dogs on it, first the large breed puppy food, then the Hi-Energy for maintainence. My dogs are outside working 365 days a year in all weather conditions. They will not use shelter and sleep outside in the snow in the winter. With Diamond Hi-Energy they have all maintained body condition regardless of extreme temperatures. My English Mastiff lived to be 12 on this diet, which is rare for a giant breed.

All of my dogs have liked every variety of Diamond dog food they were offered. I have never had a problem from this food, and I want to point out that most of the complaints I've read here about dogs that got sick do not have any evidence to point to the food being the problem. If you think your pet is sick due to the feed, you should have the rest of the bag examined for toxins and investigated by a vet and a lab. Like all products, including human foods, contamination of ingredients is possible. However, many animals would be affected by the contaminated batch; this is why recalls happen. Diamond has one of the lowest recall histories in the business. You owe it to your pets to find out for sure what is making them sick, not just assume it is the food. In particular with the dogs suffering bloody stools, I would suspect rat poison and possibly a malicious neighbor. This has happened in my area.

Regarding the cat foods, I have both working barn cats and a couple of indoor pets. The barn cats have stayed in excellent condition to very old ages on Diamond Active Cat. The indoor cats thrive on the Maintenance kibble. The main ingredients of all these feeds is meat; the protein level is not artificially jacked up by ingredients like pea protein.

I'm no stranger to contaminated feed problems; I've had livestock and poultry for enough years to have seen some bad feed. But in every case, it was actually proved by testing that the feed was the problem, and there was a recall. In nearly 30 years of using Diamond pet foods I've never had a problem with it and have no hesitation recommending it.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I've been using Diamond for 20 years and it's probably what I'll always feed. I looked at a lot of the different premium brands before and Diamond had the best price. Plus I buy so much that the retailer here gave me a break on the price. I probably go through 150 bags a year. I breed English Springer Spaniels. I have six adult dogs here and I've had two to three litters a year. My son has two dogs and he feeds them Diamond as well. My daughter has got one of our dogs and Diamond is also what they've always fed it because it's what we use. Half the time, their dogs are out here as well.

There's a lot of expensive dog foods out there but I don't really see where they're any better than the Diamond brand. I feed the maintenance formula during the off-season if I don't have a dog that I bred. Then when I breed a dog, I put them on the puppy formula until they have their pups and the pups are weened. The coats on my dogs are good. They're healthy and energetic. When they have puppies, they pretty much maintain their body weight if I can get them to eat. Sometimes, after they've had puppies, their appetite goes down the tubes. But they all do real well. It's cold in the winter here in Northern Montana and I feed them as much as they'll eat in the wintertime because they're outdoor dogs. I've never even brought a dog to the vet because they were sick or had any health problems.

I recommend Diamond to anybody I place pups with. It's their choice. Some people have their preferences that they've fed for years. If they're gonna use a different brand, I put some Diamond in a plastic baggie for them to mix in with whatever brand they're gonna feed. But a lot of them just go ahead and buy Diamond brand before they get here. A lot of people also ask me where I get the Diamond brand and I tell them to go on the website. There's a locator there and you can look up any places near where you live. It's pretty easy find.

I was getting it up in Havre, North 40, and they were giving me a break on it too. But sometimes it would take two or three weeks. It's a big outfit. They must employ 40 people and sometimes, my order will get lost. I get up there and nobody would know anything about it or it would be sitting in the back and they wouldn't call me when it came in. The ACE Hardware here in Chinook kinda carry Diamond so I told them that was a good dog food. I figured if I get it here in Chinook, it'd save me driving up to Havre. There's just the owner and the two workers so I go in and he tells me exactly when it would be in and it's only about three or four days – sometimes, five days. Then when it comes in, they call me and I go pick it up. So it's worked out better. It's a lot more convenient and being so much smaller, it's easier to work with them. There's no mix-up in communication.

Original review: March 17, 2019

The bad reviews I’ve read are unfortunate. Although, I like to know if those people had issues with other brands as well. Food allergies are very possible. I know Diamond Naturals is a family business, so it would be nice if people that have had issues could factually prove it’s the food and not the dogs. Bad reviews on assumptions can hurt a business and I think that’s terrible... What people have to understand is that these reviews typically state the effects their dogs were having at the time they were eating this food. Root cause analysis hasn’t been done to determine those dogs were having such symptoms. There are a zillion reasons for dogs to puke or have diarrhea. This shouldn’t be a reflection on Diamond Naturals just because symptoms have been put in a bad review without proof.

Now I’ll give my experience with Diamond Naturals. I have 2 dog that are 16 yrs old. I got them both when they were about 1. (8 lb Havanese and 65 lb mixed Husky/Shepherd/Beagle) They’ve both eaten this brand of food for 15 yrs and they are in great health! People are shocked when I tell them how old they are, because they’re so active. They always ask what they eat. I am always proud to brag about Diamond Naturals??? Thank you Diamond Naturals!

Diamond Pet Foods response

So glad you love Diamond Pet Foods! Your points are well taken. It is seemingly human nature to think if your dog or cat has GI issues, it must be from the food. However you are correct, it is likely not. We encourage pet owners to contact us directly, # is printed on the bag, and we will be more than happy to investigate the food to rule it out as well as work with you to find a food that does work well for your pet

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I have a Maltese and we've been using Diamond for the last nine years. We like it. We haven't had any problems with it so far. We have litters and we send puppies to their new homes with Diamond. I tell them that we've had real good luck. We feed the mommas the same thing too. They haven't had any allergies or anything with the amount of the stuff that it's in there, and they've been getting fat and healthy with them.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I switched to Diamond Pet Foods because their ingredients does not have corn in it. I've been using them for two and a half years, and I started the kennel or selling Goldendoodles around that time, and I just wanted to feed them a quality dog food. I’ve never fed anything else other than that. My dogs love it. I use the Diamond Naturals. I use All Life stages. It is grain-free. Just one dog had an allergy and I've used that. But everything I've read it off are concerned about the grain-free. They say stay away from it, so I've tried to stay away from grain-free. The brand is not so high-priced that it’s outrageous, but it’s not the cheapest on the shelf. I try to buy it when it’s on sale.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

This will be my sixth year since I’ve been breeding and I’ve always stuck with Diamond because it works better for my bigger dogs. I breed Italian mastiffs, German Shepherds, and many Goldendoodles. I’ve got 25 breeding dogs, and I’ve got four litters on the ground right now and I’ve got six litters on the way. I used to feed Victor but it dries my big dogs' skin out. It was burning them up. It was too high in protein and they were having a lot of skin problems. So I switched to Diamond and it has made their coats a lot better. They did not lose hair and it didn’t dry their skin out. The Italian mastiffs' coats are silky and they don’t shed as badly.

I also like Diamond because it’s greatly priced. Victor was $50 a bag. Diamond is not that expensive and although it's expensive, it’s a great dog food. I recommend it to everybody. I send them home with the puppy packet and most people stick to what I recommend. I didn’t get to send samples with two litters but it was my fault. I just did not have time to email Diamond. But I emailed last week and I got my stuff today so I’m pretty happy. With all the other puppies, I’ve sent it in their to-go bags.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I adopted a 4 year old Westie 6 years ago. When we got him home he would not eat any of the food we offered. We bought approximately 6-7 different brands that we ended up giving away. I came across Diamond's Chicken and Rice and he loves it! When his dog buddies come over they run to the food bowl and gobble it down. These visiting dogs love it and have no side effects with a change of food. The other dog owners are embarrassed that their dog was a piggy but I just laugh because it is so inexpensive and enjoy watching them eat it like a kid with a bowl of candy. Thank you Diamond for my happy healthy pup Felix.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have 20 cats so I have kittens all the time and I've been using a lot of Diamond for years. I also give their samples to my customer and I need to order. I wish their grain-free was a little cheaper though. I use Diamond’s kitten food but I have some Persians that can't eat it. Some Persians can't tolerate all the grain and so, my Himalayans and Persians had to eat the Purina Kitten Chow. It puts good weight on them and they don't run right through them. I've also used Diamond’s dog food too because I used to raise a lot of dogs and I'm just getting back into that, so I will be using it for them but I gotta figure out what the Yorkies are gonna eat.

Diamond Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Diamond is a pet food and treat company that offer a variety of high-quality and all-natural food and treats. Diamond makes food for puppies, adult dogs, dogs with sensitive stomachs, pregnant dogs and cats.

• Diamond original: Diamond’s original dry food blend comes in a variety of options. There are blends for puppies, adult dogs, hunting dogs and athletic dogs.

• Diamond Naturals: Diamond Naturals are all-natural food options for dogs of all sizes and lifestyles. These food blends come in both dry and canned food options.

• Grain-free options: If your dog has trouble digesting grains, you can purchase grain-free food from Diamond. These are specialty brands from the Diamond Naturals line that uses no unnatural preservatives.

• Online ingredient list: If your dog has allergies or trouble with some ingredients, you can check to see if your blend contains those ingredients. Diamond lists all of its food ingredients online.

• Diamond Blog: The Diamond Pet Food Blog features regular blog posts. Subjects include transitioning your rescue dogs to a new diet, tips to give medicine to your pet, how to find a diet for a diabetic pet and more.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Diamond Pet Foods Company Information