2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.80/5

Diamond dog food specializes in nutrient-rich formulas that contain healthy levels of protein, fiber, fat and probiotics to support pet growth, energy and digestive health. Diamond dog food is formulated with ingredients such as beef, pork, chicken and salmon that contain high levels of protein, and the company provides specific recipes for all sizes of dogs and each stage of a pet’s life.

BOTTOM LINE

Diamond dog food offers a wide range of highly nutritious formulas for all stages of a dog’s life. Diamond can be pricier than other brands, but each formula provides essential nutrients not found in some pet foods.

PROS

• Grain-free formula available
  • Wide range of special formulas
  • Available online from retailers
  • Guaranteed probiotics in all recipes

CONS

• Can be pricey
  • Only sold at authorized retailers

Top Diamond Pet Foods Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Pet Foods?

I have four German Shepherds and they can be a little sensitive to different foods … It’s the only food that they’ll stay on consistently … My long coat shepherd's coat looks so much better on Diamond than it has with any of the other food. We really like the lamb one.

All my dogs seems to do good on Diamond Pet Food and I recommend it. It’s good food at a good reasonable price. I have Yorkies and Shih Tzus. I use the Puppy on all my puppies and the Adult on the adults…

Diamond Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Diamond Naturals dog food

What is Diamond dog food?

Diamond dog food creates nutrient-rich pet food formulas designed for pets in all stages of life. The company works to keep prices down while offering high-quality ingredients. Diamond conducts regular rigorous quality tests in its facilities to ensure products are safe for pet consumption.

Its product lines include Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Diamond CARE and Diamond Pro89. Pro89 is rich in proteins and amino acids from grains, pork and beef and contains glucosamine and chondroitin. Diamond CARE is a line of four specialized diets for sensitive skin, renal formula, sensitive stomach or weight management.

Diamond puppy food

Diamond puppy food supports brain and vision development, and it helps dogs maintain shiny coats and healthy skin. It contains omega-3 fatty acid DHA from salmon oil, which is also suitable for nursing dogs.

The puppy formula also contains 80 colony-forming units per pound of probiotics to support healthy digestion, and antioxidants such as vitamin E help develop a puppy’s immune system. Ingredients include chicken, whole-grain corn, wheat, chicken fat, beet pulp, egg and flaxseed. The Diamond Naturals line also offers options for puppies.

Diamond Naturals dog food

Diamond Naturals is a complete line of canned food, dry kibble and treats made with vegetables and fruits, cage-free chicken, pasture-raised beef and lamb and real salmon. Diamond Naturals includes food formulated for:

• Adult dogs
  • Puppies
  • Athletic dogs
  • Large breeds
  • Small breeds
  • Senior dogs
  • Light diets

Diamond Naturals are formulated with superfoods, including quinoa, chia seed, kale and spinach, that are high in nutritional value. All recipes contain probiotics for digestive support.

The company also sells treats with lamb, beef, chicken or peanut butter.

Diamond dog food price

Diamond dog food ranges in price based on the formula and product line. Diamond Naturals products are pricier than other lines produced by the company.

The popular Diamond Naturals chicken or lamb and rice dry food for all life stages is priced at $36.99 for a 40-pound bag, and the grain-free option is also $36.99 for a 40-pound supply. A 12-can case of Diamond Naturals wet food beef dinner for adults and puppies is $23.88. A 16-ounce bag of Diamond Naturals peanut butter treats is $5.99.

Diamond Dog Food FAQ

Who owns Diamond dog food?
Schell & Kampeter Inc. owns Diamond Pet Foods.
Who sells Diamond dog food?
Diamond dog food is available online from Chewy, Amazon, Naturally Unleashed, Tractor Supply Co. and PetFlow. You can also buy it from authorized retailers in your area, including veterinarian offices, pet stores or feed and supply stores.
What brands does Diamond dog food make?
Diamond dog food makes Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Diamond CARE and Diamond Pro89. Schell & Kampeter, Diamond’s parent company, also manufactures Taste of the Wild pet food.
Is Diamond dog food grain free?
The Skin & Coat All Life Stages Dog Salmon & Potato formula of Diamond Naturals dog food is grain free. Diamond Naturals contain rice, oatmeal and other grains.

Is Diamond dog food good?

While Diamond dog food isn’t the cheapest pet food available, all formulas contain probiotics for pet digestive health. For pets that require special diets, Diamond has a wide range of formulas to choose from. The Diamond Naturals line contains superfoods rich in nutrients not typically found in pet food.

Diamond Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

We weren't happy with the product that we were using and there had been some recalls. So we switched to the Diamond Line and we weren't thrilled with it. It's not a bad food but the quality is not there. We tried Diamond Naturals lamb and rice and we were astonished with the results that we got. It's actually in our contract that our new families feed Diamond Naturals lamb and rice. All our dogs are on full feed. With the Diamond Naturals lamb and rice, they eat half of what they do in the Diamond line. We buy Diamond by the pallet and it has cut our food consumption down by 40% when we switched to Naturals.

We have two different vets and they always comment on our dogs' skin coat, their muscular development, and bone development. Our dogs are OFA certified. So we do patellas, ophthalmologists, the gauntlet and all of them are very pleased with the results on all our dogs. Breeding has a major part in that, but food also has a very high part that we believe. So that's why we push Diamond pretty hard for our customers. We know the results. We know the recalls for Diamond is extremely low. It's kind of an old school mom and pop family company. We support everything about it. But I wish Diamond supported us a little bit more.

Diamond Pet Foods doesn't sell direct, but I tried to buy through a broker out of the cities. He set me up with them and they wouldn't deliver it to me because I didn't have a storefront, which was absurd. We have a forklift. We could unload the semi. That didn't sit very well with me because we were using more dog food Diamond products than our local co-op did. So just because they have a storefront, they'll deliver to them broken pallets even though we buy full pallets. So as far as breeders go, we're their bread and butter. We promote and use their products.

Diamond does provide the breeder with samples of puppy food. They send them every time I request it. At first, they made me jump through all kinds of hoops and I filled out the paperwork. But then I'd go to request it again and they'd want me to fill it out again. We were putting 150 to 175 pups on the ground a year and that would be 150 to 175 guaranteed customers that Diamond would have because it was in our contract. But the last several times, they haven't done that. Compared to the other companies, Diamond is a little dot but they are growing exponentially. Their name is getting out there and a lot of that is due to the breeders supporting them. Other than that, I'm very happy with their product. Also, their customer support is pretty good. Everybody has always been polite and kind. The rep was phenomenal. But the biggest thing is we can use a little more support from the company.

The only thing I've ever seen is a big can and that's another gripe. It's hard to find especially the chicken or the lamb. And when we do find it, we buy everything they have and we wipe them out. So, their canned food must not be very popular compared to other companies. We only use it as a puppy mash when we're weaning, then we switch over to the Diamond Naturals puppy small kibble. But if they did small cans or even a full can to send to the breeders for their litters, it would be awesome. I look at it as support from Diamond and a thank you for being a responsible breeder and supporting their product. That carries a lot of weight with the breeders.

We got 30 pups on the ground. It takes a long time to get the sample packs out to us. Sometimes, we'll do a special breeding and that's out within a week. So I don't know what the delay is. But it's not a big deal. We have big bags of Diamond puppy and we just put them in Ziploc bags when we don't have the samples. But it looks a lot more professional for both of us if we have samples. So if they can incorporate it at canned or a bag, that would be a huge step catching up or even coming close to the other pet food brand.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

We're very pleased with Diamond. Our dogs do better on them and they seem to have better coats. I just started changing over to the fish and the lamb. I was just feeding the regular, like the Puppy and the Adult Active. It has more in it than just your regular dog food. I have Airedale terriers and Welsh terriers. We made a move and I wanted my Airedales not to be stressed out so we did not have any litters this year. My daughter-in-law took the Welsh. We have two females and those have had a litter each. I have one female breedable and I have another one that will be able to breed next year.

We've sent a lot of puppies to Alaska, Mexico, California and Florida. We've got them all over. We also have a little goodie bag with all the important information in it and the puppy toys. I usually get samples from Diamond as well as pamphlets, and I also send the same things to new puppy owners. I'm older so I don't like change and Diamond is what we start the puppies on after their mama, with a little bit of warm water. I wish Diamond would make a soft food because we also try to do a little bit of wet to get the puppies get used to it. I sometimes use a Pedigree Puppy, a canned food, for that. But we don't continue it. So, a wet food from Diamond would be nice.

My daughter-in-law has six Welsh terriers and she had started using the Naturals. She said the dogs liked it better and told me that I might wanna try it. So, I did that. I started out mixing mine with the regular Diamond. I did the one for the active dogs. Then, they have several variants such as the Maintenance and Hi-Energy. We lived back in the ranch, which is 1,000 acres and the Airedales were kinda just running. They're family pets. Then when we moved here, we had a big yard for them, so they're in a yard now. They're the active, hunting type and so, they get acclimated here. Their health is excellent and great all the time. So, we have no problems. My sister-in-law had a litter of puppies, just a little far North. She called me and wanted to know about Diamond Pet Foods. I told her that she would have very good results with it and dogs like it, and will turn their nose up at it. She had a very good experience with it also.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

We like Diamond's price point as well as the ingredients and the sourcing since the recalls. I left for a little while once all the recalls were going on, and then came back. We've been using it on and off for about 15 years. I'm a breeder, so I currently feed three different flavors. One is the Beef and Rice, and I'm currently looking for a replacement for that. Then I feed the Naturals Lamb and Rice, and then another is the Ancient Grains with Roasted Lamb. I breed Poodles and Whoodles.

They have the Diamond puppy food, which I absolutely love. I just actually tried it. I was using the Naturals puppy food, which was kind of a hit or miss with my litters. This last litter, I used just the straight Diamond puppy food. It was wonderful. However, one of the mixes, the Whoodle, that I breed has a chicken sensitivity or they're known to have a chicken sensitivity. So, I really wish that Diamond had the same type of just the straight Diamond puppy food without the chicken. That was one of the things that I’ve discussed with one of the reps that I had spoken with when I ordered samples last time.

Everything is so chicken. It's so hard to find their foods that don't have chicken in them. Diamond is one of the biggest suppliers of foods that do not have chicken. There are a lot of dogs out there who have chicken allergies. I used to work for a vet clinic, and it’s huge. To be able to raise puppies on to a food that is lamb-based is great. However, I'm not having really good results with that Large Breed Lamb and Rice. So I moved off of it. I don't recommend that one to my peers anymore. But a lot of them had to move their dogs off of the Diamond Puppy because of this intolerance.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

We really love Diamond Pet Foods. We breed mini Goldendoodles, F1B. Our dogs are a mix between a purebred golden retriever and a purebred poodle. Then we take that Goldendoodles, which is what we own and breed them back to a full-blooded purebred miniature poodle, which produces the F1B Goldendoodle puppy. Diamond Pet is what we feed everybody, either the puppy brand or the adult brand. Every time we sell a litter of puppies, I give out one of their brochures on feeding. I don't make it mandatory, but I highly recommend that they continue on what we had been feeding.

We give the clients a notebook that has several categories in it. One is nutrition which we put the brochure or pamphlet, and we made a copy of the feeding chart because the feeding chart’s not on the sample bag. So we made a copy of what the purple bag looks like that we buy, and the 40-pound puppy bag, so they know what it looks like when they go to get it. Then we have the tab on registration, where they can register their dog. We have a tab on tips. Then, we have a tab for vaccinations for when we’ve taken them to the vet and show that they’ve had their shots and deworming from a certified veterinarian. We send that home with them.

I’ve been really happy with Diamond. We've been using it for many years. We got married in ‘70. We're a farm family and that was one of the things that interest me about the Diamond, that they started their business about the same time we got married. So we've been using it for a long time. It is a pretty easy process getting samples from Diamond. The first time, I just sent a note to customer service saying, “Hey, would y'all do this?” Then the next time, they told me just to go to my local store. But when I went to my local store, they weren't familiar with it and didn't know anything about it. They didn't know how to do it. I said, “That’s okay.” So, the next time I need it, I’ll just send another note to customer service saying, “I did try to go to the store, but they weren’t familiar with getting samples and never heard of that." Even though I told them to call customer service, I can handle it myself easier than going through them.

I would love to be able to have an account set up with Diamond. We’re a farm, so we have accounts set up at a lot of feed stores, the feed mill, the hardware store and the other supply store for when we have to buy parts for the tractors and trucks. I would love to be able to buy Diamond direct, rather than having to go through Tractor Supply, but I don’t know if that’s possible. But if that’s not possible, I understand.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I like the Diamond Naturals, that’s what I was doing at. I started all my puppies with that, which I still recommend them being on the puppy food, the Diamond Natural Puppy for all the puppies. Diamond own Taste of the Wild as well. And then, they came up with the Taste of the Wild Prey. So, I switched from Diamond Naturals to Prey. If you get any picky eater, you give them Diamond Naturals and I guarantee they'll eat it. After my puppies were born, I had a professional photographer take pictures with the Diamond Natural dog food bags there with them. It was really cute. A guy just came on Saturday and picked up some cat food and he said, “All my cats won’t eat anything.” They're indoor cats. I said, “Try the Diamond Naturals Indoor cat food.” And he said, “They won’t eat it.” I said, “Yes, they will.” So, he took it. I haven’t heard from him yet. But I’ll guarantee, they absolutely love it.

I have Labradors and German Shepherds. I did large breeds. So, I do all the Diamond Naturals Large Breed. I don't breed anymore. I work with rescues now. I did the two litters because I only bred my female every two years, and I only do two litters. A lot of people don’t. They breed them every single heat and the poor things can’t regenerate, and there were just so many rescues out there. So, I thought, “There is no sense me breeding anymore.” I didn't wanna get into buying new dogs to breed. So, I found the shepherd mix. And so, I’ve been doing them now since 2013, I’ve been working with rescues.

People come to me and they go, “Wow, do you oil down your dogs? Their coats are so shiny.” I said, “It’s Diamond Naturals.” It makes their coat extremely shiny. In fact, I have quite a few articles on my website about Diamond Naturals. I have a paper that I give to every single one of my clients that come that I have printed out on, “Why Diamond Naturals.” Number one is the ingredients from USA and made in USA. They go, “Well, the other ones are made in USA.” They go, “Oh, but we should get Blue Buffalo.” I said, “Yeah, I looked at that too because their marketing is really good. However, yes, they are made in USA, but their ingredients come from China. I’d rather get Diamond Naturals.” I’ve made a lot of really fancy marketing things of Diamond Naturals.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

We feed our dog a mix of Diamond Pet Foods and some other food. She sometimes gets ear infections due to the beet pulp that's in Diamond. Our other dog had the same thing with certain foods. So, if we mix Diamond with another type of food, she's okay.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Diamond Pet Foods seems to agree with my dogs better. I've been using it over 15 years. I've used the various different formulas. I breed whoodles. They're a cross between a poodle and a soft-coated Wheaten terrier. I feed Diamond Puppy to the puppies. And at this point, I feed the lamb and rice adult version to my soft-coated Wheaten. I've kind of moved back and forth between the different varieties of their adult version of the different natural variety.

I've honestly not found one that my poodles do really well on. I've tried the chicken and rice, I've tried the beef and rice, and I've tried the lamb and rice. None of them seem to have enough fat for their coat. So, I recently just moved these three poodles off of Diamond. If there's a variety that offers a better solution for them, I would certainly switch them back. But I love it for the puppies. They do great on it. Then if they have problems with the chicken or the wheat in the puppy variety, then I tell my buyers to switch them to the Large Breed Lamb & Rice Natural. I love Diamond. I just wish their products were a little different. I wish they did a puppy lamb version other than the large breed, because that's not enough fat or protein for my puppies.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I have been a fan of Diamond Pet Foods for probably over 20 years now. I've fed every dog I've ever owned Diamond dog food. I've started generally with their puppy brand. Right now, I'm raising Goldendoodles. I have three Goldendoodles. They also eat the salmon and sweet potato mix, and they absolutely love it. I get good results off of skincare and coat care. I can't say enough about it. I usually order that stuff, either from my local feed store here, Chewy.com. We usually order $300 worth of it at a time because these guys love it so much.

My first litter of Goldendoodles I had back in August, each one of the parents got some take-home food to go with it. I've created kind of like a Facebook page for all of my bloodline where I can kinda keep in contact with everybody, and everybody has. They've continued on the sweet potato product. So, I'm pretty happy with that. Quality compared to cost is right there with some of the best up there in the market. Diamond’s the leader in the group. But price-wise, it matches the competitor.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Diamond seemed to have the best ingredients and most protein and fat content that I was looking for for my dogs. I have German Shepherds. And so, they have higher energy and it's harder to keep weight on a couple of them. I use the Diamond Puppy for the puppies. I use the Diamond Naturals for my dogs. I’ve also used the Hi-Energy, and it works good, too. I can see my dogs have good shiny coats and healthy stools. I would definitely highly recommend Diamond.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Diamond Pet Foods seems to be a good blend and we recommend it because our dogs are active, have good coats, and I've had no digestive issues. We're breeders. We have German Shorthaired Pointers. Diamond has always been consistent with us.

Diamond Pet Foods Company Information