2.07/5
Based on 42 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Looking for a new brand of food for your pet? Diamond Dog Food offers a variety of dry & canned food, as well as treats made specifically for your dogs. Our food is made from high-quality ingredients in order to give your dog the best nutrition possible. Visit our website today to learn more about our products & ingredients!

Read More Read More
Last updated: April 23, 2018

207 Diamond Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have been purchasing Diamond dog food for my two dogs for the last 7 years. They love the chicken and rice flavor and we have never had any issues, until this week. We have been purchasing our dogs' food from the local feed store but recently decided to give Chewy.com a try. Thinking maybe the dogs would like to try a different flavor we ordered the Beef and Rice. We received the food and almost instantly knew something was wrong. The dogs normally dig right in when we put food in their dish. Instead they both took about two bites and then wouldn't touch it again. The next day they were both sick and wouldn't go anywhere near the food. After reading other reviews on here there has to be something wrong with the Beef and Rice formula. Do I go back to Chicken and Rice or switch dog food completely?

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been giving my dogs Diamond Naturals beef meal and rice for over 4 years now. Within the last 6 weeks or so I have noticed one of my dogs is not finishing her food and has had very bad diarrhea. My other dog gets his prescription food mixed half and half with the Diamond food so he finishes the food but still has diarrhea. This morning my female dog would not finish her food and she never does this. As soon as I mixed my other dogs' food with the Diamond food she ate all of it.

I'm not sure if they have changed the formula but it seems like ever since the food has been in the new bags, not the paper bag like before, they do not like it. Nothing else has changed and no they haven't gotten "into" anything and are UTD on all of their shots and heartworm. And to the review that said "people need to wash their bowls and nothing has changed" you're wrong, it has changed. I wash all my bowls and obviously something is wrong if she will eat it if it is mixed with something else. Today I called my vet and went and purchased another food so I hope they love it and quit having diarrhea.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Been feeding this brand to my dogs for about a year now but after buying a couple of new bags a little under a week ago, we have narrowed it down and the food is the culprit. 24 hrs after opening the new bags, we woke up to runny diarrhea on the carpet. One dog was in and out all day long, just managing her bowels. Lethargic. Wouldn’t eat. A short 48 hrs later, the second dog joined her in loosing her bowels all over the house. 5 days after we had bought the bags of food, with dogs still having uncontrollable diarrhea, we pinpointed the culprit. It was the food. We purchase Nutro for years and only recently has switched due to this being sold at a store closer to us. But we’ll be going back to what worked for us and our dogs for almost 10 years.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I’m having the same issues many of you are having regarding the most recent bag of food. My dogs have been eating Diamond for 3 years (previously on raw diet). My male GSD is allergic to beef so the lamb was perfect for his skin issues but this most recent bag has made him sick. For those of you that their dogs recovered, was it medicine that helped or time? He’s gotten better over the last few days (since he hasn’t been eating) but still isn’t himself yet. I’m debating whether I should just give it more time or if I should get him into the vet.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 24, 2018

I have been feeding my dogs Diamond food few years and the last bag I purchased a few weeks ago both of my dogs became very sick, lethargic, throwing up, hair falling out in clumps, diarrhea. My one dog went from 68 lbs to 48 lbs in two and a half weeks and my other dogs went from 82 lbs to 70 lbs. I took them to the vet today and changed their food. Within 24 hours they have improved but are still sickly looking.

I am very concerned because I am seeing dogs are dying from this brand of food. The vet tech said her dog has been throwing up too so she stopped feeding her the same food yesterday. I also found another woman who has two sick dogs in the same area and also feeds the same food. Another woman had four dogs pass away in October from Diamond dog food. It's more than one brand within the Diamond food company and I am getting the food tested at a lab. I will not let this go. I don't want animals to die because of their lack of quality control and care for what they are feeding animals. It's not right!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Pet Foods?

Original review: March 23, 2018

So I had no idea that this was here but I want to share my story. Was urged to switch to 4health by a vet in Franklin TN. Our English bulldog had some skin issues and he thought it help. About 4 months in she started the same issues. Hair loss and itching. We take her to a different vet who does some checking and finds she has some allergies and prescribes some meds. Just when we think we are on the road to good health she stops eating, is rapidly losing weight and throwing up phlegm and panting constantly. Oh and the cow patties she is leaving behind are awful. So back at the vet again and we learn she has some problems with her blood and we pay 500.00 at that visit. 2 days later another round at vet and 450 more. The third visit she is a bit better probably because of steroids but we also started feeding her boiled chicken breasts and rice.

The vet then tells us they think she has cancer so we take to a specialist and they want to test her at 2000.00 and say they wouldn’t be able to cure if it is cancer. They could only treat it. So we take home our 6 year old dog scared to death she could die at any time. But we were in for a miracle. She starts eating more of the chicken and rice we made and her weight picks up and her healthy happy self is back. But not so fast. When we had to go out of town we bought some more 4health salmon and potato dog food thinking it would be easier for the kids to feed while we were away. Now she is back in the same boat. She is throwing up foam and pooping throughout the night. Has no energy and looks awful.

After reading some other reviews on here one thing I find crazy is that most of the bad reviews are coming from TN. So why don’t they notice this and do a little research and find out what is going on. I would like to know. Hell if it were human food it would have been recalled already. I am going to take these reviews to my vet and just ask because I could be wrong but I doubt it and at least they can keep an eye out for it in the future. If anyone else would like to talk about this with me email me **. Thanks for reading.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I purchased a new bag of dog food recently, Diamond Maintenance brand. My Great Dane eats 8 cups a day of this food. I have two dogs. The other dog does not eat this food, although he was always interested in eating it. This new particular bag neither dog had interest in, very strange for my American bully who wants to eat everything!!! Eventually my Dane did eat it, and ate it for almost 4 days before he became deathly ill. He became restless, panting heavily, vomiting bile, running a fever, lethargic, depressed, weak, shaking, shivering profusely. I rushed him to the animal emergency clinic, performed X-rays to rule out bloat, which is common in Danes. They confirmed no bloat but he remained very sick even with intestinal antibiotic medication.

I returned to the vet the very next day, ran bloodwork to find he was suffering from pancreatitis. He continued to decline, repeated X-rays and bloodwork. His intestines were pushed upward in his abdomen. Fearing he may have a mass or blockage that could not be determined from the ultrasound, we moved onto exploratory surgery. Come to find out no blockage or mass, but a very very bad case of pancreatitis.

He receives nothing but Diamond Maintenance food. No table food, treats etc. He ate this food for 3 to 4 days, 8 cups a day and it almost killed my gentle giant. He lost 10 lbs so far and it still in the animal hospital for another week receiving IV fluids and meds. I've contacted the company to only be told they ran their quality control and everything is within normal limits. I've read several reviews of people that bought Diamond food within this same time frame and their pets got sick as well. (January 2018 stamp date) Please do not feed this to your pets, it very well may kill them!

Updated on 04/05/2018: Diamond food refuses to cover my thousand dollar vet expenses caused by their food. My Great Dane is still very ill following consuming this last bag of dog food. Diamond will not recall this, as they state they received no complaints, hard to believe as there are at least 10 within the last couple months just on this website. I would like to start a class action lawsuit. If you fed this food and your dog died or became sick please contact me. I will be getting an attorney and having the food tested at a private lab. Please email me at ** if your pet recently experienced symptoms from Diamond food as well.

Original review: March 17, 2018

My husband switched to Diamond Naturals for Skin and Coat a few months ago. Everything seemed fine at first, I thought. She did start having a new behavior of whining for treats and would try to get table scraps as I scraped them into the Trash. She did get sick and vet put her on special diet for a while and gave her medication. When she recovered, vet said she could go back to her normal food (Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat). That was at least a month ago. After realizing a few days ago that she really wasn’t eating much of food, I began to wonder if that’s why she has been acting out lately. Went to pet store and bought a new brand. She is eating it all now! The best thing is she is much calmer and seems satisfied again! I just went online and googled “my dog is refusing hern” and found several sites talking about it. I am taking this unfinished bag back. So glad I took the time to check this out! Scary!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I have been buying Diamond dog food for one year now and have all 6 of my Pomeranians on it. First off... all of my dogs are restricted to our front or backyard by fence. All of my dogs are up to date on vaccines. Two of my poms are 5 month old puppies, who only use the front yard while the adults only use the back. Ok, so, after opening the newest bag of food, my dogs began having diarrhea in a domino effect. One of the adults has fur coming out by clumps as I brush her! I am very concerned it is the dog food which I have replaced with rice. I was refunded the money for the food, but can only contribute the sick behavior to the fact that there is no other contributing factors and it is too coincidental with the time frame of the new bag... and ALL of them have the runs. Anyone else get bad food 2nd week of Jan 2018?

Original review: March 5, 2018

My dogs have not been finishing their food last few days with new bag I purchased. My 5 year old German Shepherd was extra tired today and died in her sleep. Her puppy passed same way yesterday. I am pretty sure it was from bad batch of dog food. Will be contacting in morning and may sue the company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I purchased the Diamond Naturals Beef Meal and Rice Formula a week ago for my Labrador. About 3 days after starting this brand she started having loss of coat, on day 5 it was extreme. Day 6 vomiting and very sluggish. She does have an allergy to chicken, and in the ingredients there is chicken fat, but she has had multiple brands that have had either chicken by-product or chicken fat in it (hard to find foods that don’t) and has NEVER had such a sudden and severe reaction like this. I can guarantee her reaction is not due to an allergy, but from the food itself. Upon reading reviews and seeing similar issues/reactions with other pets, it is clear this food needs to be recalled. I, for obvious reasons, will never purchase or recommend this food.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Have feed Diamond Naturals BEEF before without an issue but this time our dog was reluctant to eat it after a few days of being fed from this newest bag. Started with cow-pie stools and hair all of a sudden is falling out in handfuls (middle of winter). Something is WRONG with this food!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

When reading these negative reviews, it is clear to me that people blame pet food because it's easier than blaming yourself for not washing 10 year old pet food containers, or for letting your dog eat the garbage or get into some toxic chemicals that cause kidney failure. Dog food is not poisoning your dog. The worst thing that can happen is food intolerance or allergy, not all dog food is great for dogs with "conditions".

My breeder feeds numerous Shih Tzu's this particular food and has no problems with it. My 6 month old puppy is throwing and his fur doesn't ever get mats, ever! No upset tummy, no skin allergy, no loose stools and a gorgeous coat. The breeder shows his dogs and swears by this food. That and it's economical compared to dog foods with the same ratings. Dogfoodadvisor.com gives this food 4.5 /5.0 stars. I had a Shih Tzu before that did poorly on Blue Buffalo, Iams was horrible, and Nulo Senior food at $65 a bag, gave him an oily coat. He did well on Science Diet Ideal Balance. Had I known about Diamond Naturals (Small Breed Puppy), I would have fed him that. He passed away at 11 due to IVDD, food did not cause it, genetics did.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My dog was having doing well before I switched her dog food to Diamonds beef flavor. Over the past few weeks, we saw many changes occur. Her hair started to fall out, she had bowel and bladder incontinence, and vomiting. The food should be recalled! This is insane that it is still on the shelves for purchase. So many animals are falling sick to this food. Please buyer beware!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We bought Diamond Dog Food chicken and rice adult at Tractor Supply. We have a 1 year old fawn doberman and a 9 year old dachshund. We purchased the dog food December 23rd 2017. Both dogs seem to really enjoy it. About two weeks later we noticed neither dog was finishing the food in their bowl. Our Doberman began throwing up his dog food about an hour after eating 2 days ago. He has became tired and doesn't seem to have much energy. We thought maybe he was getting sick and didn't credit it to the dog food until today. Our dachshund began throwing up and looking lethargic about an hour after eating the Diamond Dog Food as well. I immediately threw away the rest of the dog food we had left after doing some research and reading all these other reviews of having similar effects.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

The Diamond brand dog food is found at feed stores. After years of trying all dry dog foods it has been the best in regards to price, my dog's skin issues and easy yard clean up. We use the chicken & rice flavor.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I have been feeding Diamond Premium adult for many years. I have noticed in the past couple of years that they have changed the formula. Why? Guess they had to mess with a good product. I have noticed a lot of my dogs have a loose stool and do not seem to retain their weight as they have in the past.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We had our yellow lab on Diamonds for 8 yrs. until he got cancer and died, now we have a black lab and a brindle pit/lab mix and we give them the same food. After trying another brand their skin became dry and they were scratching so much and we switched back to Diamonds. Our lab had diarrhea for a couple of days, took her to the vet and she had a stomach virus nothing to do with the food. I stopped buying doggie treats and rawhide bones after reading what they are made of. Now for their treats they get broccoli, sweet potatoes, watermelon, apples (no seeds) and carrots and they are doing great. Sometimes it's not the food but the treats, rawhide toys are horrible for them and their digestive system plus the dyes and ingredients in their dog treats can cause them a lot of problems so read the ingredients. But fresh vegetables and fruit is much better. Give them raw and they will love it. But I will always keep mine on Diamonds.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Dog's coat looks good, they have plenty of energy, not overweight and not too thin. Cost is manageable and we are able to purchase 50 pound bags at the feed store, places like Atwoods carries Diamond 40 pound bags for same price. It is comparable to Natural 27 I used to purchase on the East Coast.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Did y'all change something in y'all's Diamond Adult dog food 50 pound bag? I have noticed in the past 2 bags of dog food, that my 6 dogs NO longer have a pretty shiny coat (Fur). Nothing has changed in their daily routine. Keep in mind I have been feeding Diamond Adult for about 7 years, other than when I switch about 2 years ago to the Diamond Natural Lamb and Rice. I ended up going back to using the Diamond Adult. I wasn't impressed with the Diamond Natural Line. With all that said. I paid way too much money to feed 6 dogs for something that y'all have changed. If it has something wrong with it y'all really need to recall. Please respond with something. Feeling a little cheated and disappointed. A month ago I would of recommended Diamond to anyone. Now I wonder. Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My dog has been eating 4health for a few years. A year or so ago he experienced explosive bowel movements after eating the grain free beef stew - the clerk at Tractor Supply was unaware of any issues. A few months ago I bought 2 bags of the hip/joint bones (he had eaten them before and no problem). After eating a few out of the first new bag, he became lethargic and vomited the foamy phlegm that I saw someone else on here had described. I threw away the bag. After a month I decided to open the new bag and try one, thinking he may have just not felt well before, AND seeing no recalls. He ate one and within the hour looked like someone who was drunk. He fell over and couldn't get up, was also vomiting the phlegm.

My son helped me get him into the car and to the vet. By the time we got there (by now a couple of hours since eating the bone), he was acting alert. The past few weeks he has refused to eat any of the 4heath dog food with the exception of a couple of the cans. He began acting lethargic, drinking a lot of water and losing weight. Our vet has just put him on meds for a kidney infection as his white count is up and BUN level is off. After seeing these other comments I have no doubt something is wrong with this food and treats. But what to feed him? Guess I will be making my own since I don't know that there is any brand to trust anymore.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

After using Diamond grain free salmon and sweet potato for 5 days my 3 dogs became sick. Was not sure it was food related at first but after three nights and days of throwing up the food and one dog panting throughout the night and could not make it through the night without pooping. Between the three dogs we would have 20 piles of poop a day! They spent two nights throwing up! Horrible experience. Immediately stopped the food. Only tried it because the cost was less than other brands of grain free. It was like poison to them! Beware!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

We have been using this brand for about two yrs. My Dachshund for the past two months has been experiencing some sort of bacterial illness from the food. Black diarrhea, severe vomiting. Can't do anything but lay there. She did a round of antibiotics. Did ok, even gave her a soft, different brand of food. Everything returned to normal. Once we put her back on the Diamond Naturals Lamb and rice, we have to take her for an emergency appointment on a Sunday. Same symptoms returned. If my dog dies, I fully pin it on this Diamond Naturals brand. Recall it.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have used Diamond Dog Food for many years. I started with Extreme Athlete, and then it became too expensive. I then used Naturals and decided they did not have enough protein. I have been using Diamond Performance lately and has been very good for my dogs. To all the negative comments about Diamond Dog Food, pay attention to expiration dates just like you would for your own food. Expired dog food can do horrible damage to your pet. This is not the fault of Diamond but of the store you buy your dog food from. They don't want to lose money and they know that the majority of consumers do not check the expiration date so they continue selling the expired dog food. Pay attention to this to keep your loved one safe from many fatal problems associated with spoiled food.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We have been feed our dogs 4Health for the past 2 years. One of our dogs was ill with liquid diarrhea on Monday. We began feeding him chicken and rice while he is ill. 3 days later, a second dog refused to eat the 4Health formula (the ill dog is not in the home at present). On the 4th day, our 3rd dog suddenly is refusing to eat the 4Health chicken and rice formula. I went online and noticed that there are 2 very current this month - October, 2017 consumer complaints about this food. I am leary, and will not continue with the food, because I believe the dogs are telling us something. I will keep posted on the site to see if there are other 4Health complaints, and will try to figure out how the company should be notified. I was instructed to switch foods by given them chicken and rice human food and transition them into our new choice. Fingers crossed there is no recall on 4Health. We chose this product after extensive research and affordability.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My daughter has had her pup for 4 years. She is a AKC Basset Hound and on last Sunday she left us all heartbroken. After purchasing a big bag of 4health whitefish and potatoes dog food my daughter and Bailey returned home from college. After opening the bag and feeding Bailey a bowl we left for a few hours and upon returning my wife and daughter's walked into a house of horror and it was only the beginning of this nightmare. BAILEY had vomited and had bloody diarrhea all over the house. She was completely lethargic by Sunday afternoon and died Sunday night. She did not eat anything other than this dog food. Please don't put your beloved pets life at risk. DO NOT BUY THIS DOG FOOD.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

My experience is similar to what I'm reading that others have experienced. They have been on TOW for over two years and have been enthusiastic at meal time up until this month. I bought their usual flavor, Pacific Stream, and they started behaving odd. They would sniff their food and rather than eating it they would just look at it or look to see if their buddies had something different. When I urged them to eat they would reluctantly, but would quit as soon as I stepped back. They would also vomit frequently and were eating tons of grass. I went to a different store and bought another bag thinking that the first store may have stored it in conditions that caused that bag to go bad, but they reacted the same. When I saw one of my dogs eat a few bites and then vomit right next to his bowl, I knew that there was a problem at the manufacturer and not at the retail level.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I have two saint puppies, from two different breeders from two different states. It was recommended from a friend to use Diamond puppy food for large breeds. After we had their puppy check ups and we're finished with their puppy shots we thought we could then switch foods. Well one puppy got sick so we took her in, she has serious bladder/ kidney issues. About a week later the other started peeing all over, we took her in and she has the same issue. So after meds and months of special prescription food and UA tests done every other week, one puppy was getting better. One of the puppies will not recover, we were too late with her.

After researching and removing everything from them it boiled down to the food. Our vet asked what we were feeding. Well it was diamond naturals for large breed puppy, he then told us he has many, many cases exactly the same. He has lost some and he was able to save some of them. But this was what we all had in common. I am losing a family member due to this food. Please DO NOT FEED DIAMOND unless you want a outrageous vet bill and possibly lose your pet. I am heartbroken and will NEVER buy this food again. Also I will be very vocal every chance I get to keep people from going through this same thing.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I have used Diamond Maintenance for over 11 years, I have raised 3 puppies on their puppy food but sometime about a year ago we noticed the dogs weren't eating it like they used to. At the end of the day they all still had food in their bowls, but thought it was because we had to rehome our livestock and with them our great pyrenees as well. He would clean up the left overs, he had acid reflux and DM was the only food that he could keep down. I have a golden retriever that is my service dog, and she acts like she is starving and has begun scavenging garbage, a very new thing, she is 9 years old and is getting too heavy, also have an 8 month old pyrenees puppy. We are training to replace her and a 7 year old shi tzu.

My pyrenees was snake bit almost 4 weeks ago so we started supplementing their diets with beef spare ribs, it gives them extra nutrition but the puppy is a chewer and the bones help that, along with keeping him from licking his infected paw. We won't give them anything with coloring in it, and try to feed a good food, so we opted for a different brand at the feed store, they are eating it better, and no leftovers.

I believe they changed their formula a year or so ago, it was a brand the hunt club swore by, the owner of the feed store said he has been selling less of it. If they did change something they need to go back to the ingredient or stop using the new manufacturer if that is the case, but we aren't using it any longer. I need my dogs in top form to help me, they are invaluable "medical equipment". I have been looking at different brands but will see how they do with this new one from the feed store, we may keep them on that and continue giving them bones with fresh meat on them. Something is up. If everyone is having the same issue, sounds like a class action suit should be looked into.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Our dogs have been eating this brand for years and over the last few months they have started to refuse to eat it. Furthermore they have been acting lethargic. I have a pug who will eat a boot if you let him. Something is not kosher. After reading the other comments I am switching immediately.

Diamond Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Diamond is a pet food and treat company that offer a variety of high-quality and all-natural food and treats. Diamond makes food for puppies, adult dogs, dogs with sensitive stomachs, pregnant dogs and cats.

• Diamond original: Diamond’s original dry food blend comes in a variety of options. There are blends for puppies, adult dogs, hunting dogs and athletic dogs.

• Diamond Naturals: Diamond Naturals are all-natural food options for dogs of all sizes and lifestyles. These food blends come in both dry and canned food options.

• Grain-free options: If your dog has trouble digesting grains, you can purchase grain-free food from Diamond. These are specialty brands from the Diamond Naturals line that uses no unnatural preservatives.

• Online ingredient list: If your dog has allergies or trouble with some ingredients, you can check to see if your blend contains those ingredients. Diamond lists all of its food ingredients online.

• Diamond Blog: The Diamond Pet Food Blog features regular blog posts. Subjects include transitioning your rescue dogs to a new diet, tips to give medicine to your pet, how to find a diet for a diabetic pet and more.

• Best for: Dogs of all types of needs, lifestyles and sizes.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Diamond Dog Food Company Information