2.4/5 (850 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Royal Canin Pet Foods

Royal Canin sells breed and life stage tailored nutritional dog and cat food products in veterinary clinics and retail stores throughout the United States. The company has more than 200 formulas on the market, which lets owners find dry and wet pet food for a variety of dog and cat breeds and sizes.

Pros

• Real ingredients
  • Money-back policy
  • Vast selection

Cons

• Some formulas pricey
  • Grain-free not available

Bottom Line

Royal Canin is a pet food line for healthy dogs and cats as well as those with specific health issues. The company has a wide range of products, but the food may not be suitable for pets with grain allergies.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: April 7, 2020

We had been a Royal Canin client for many, many years but no longer. After spending thousands of dollars over the years on Royal Canin dog food I called them today to return a 22 lbs bag which is still sealed and asked for a credit of file. Royal Canin gave me every excuse you could think of why they wouldn't take it back. They blamed the Vet we purchased it at for not taking it back. The Vet blames Canin for not taking returns and I'm in disbelief. We lost our large dog so we no longer need a 22 lb bag. All I asked for was a credit on account for the 22 lb bag and I would continue purchasing small bags. After being given the run around my husband and I are donating the 22 lb bag to the local humane society and are now looking at different food for our small dog. WE WILL NEVER BUY ROYAL CANIN AGAIN!!! Terrible service and terrible company!!

Original review: March 30, 2020

After reading countless reviews about symptoms... vomiting & weight loss. I called RC, they changed the formula. Removed the egg buffer and added gluten. The representative tried pushing another product for senior cats. When I asked her to address my concerns she was lackadaisical and rude. PLEASE! Anyone reading this stop feeding your pets this product immediately! I have used it for the last 6 years and now it is different, making my cat vomit every day!

Original review: March 21, 2020

Late last year, at Ohio State Vet hospital, my male dachshund had bladder stone removal surgery and we were referred to Royal Canin food in an effort to prevent new stones. I'm not a fan of commercial dog food anyway, but we bought some. Well, within a matter of weeks my baby was gassy and having runny diarrhea. I gave him some pink thick anti diarrhea medicine and a probiotic. I took him off that food and, after much prayer, I am dumping that stuff. We are scheduled to meet with a dietitian at OSU to go back to a stone safe homemade diet. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS FOOD! If your baby is having symptoms STOP THE FOOD ASAP.

Original review: March 14, 2020

My male cat had an episode of stones so I took him to the vet and he recommended I feed him RC (urinary) for life to help with the stones. He hasn't gotten any since, but he was vomiting the RC food every time I fed him after feeding him the food for about 2 months which worried me. It doesn't help that the ingredients are such low quality. I felt awful for my little boy so I switched his food, have more water out, reduced stressors and I'm adding more wet food to his diet to get more moisture into him. I feel like RC is overpriced for its quality anyway. Also, I'm not sure vets have the best knowledge when it comes to nutrition.

Original review: March 9, 2020

Have been feeding two older cats digest sensitive wet food for 3 years since one cat had onset of severe vomiting issues 3 years ago. Recently, both cats stopped eating the food and began drinking more water. Then, our cat with the initial vomiting issues 3 years ago suddenly died last week. I'm wondering if our experience may be related to others' experiences and questions regarding this Royal Canin product.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I have been feeding my cats Urinary so for years now.... And the past 3 months my one cat has lost 3 pounds, he's getting very thin now, He pukes every day!!! Has diarrhea.!!! I've spent $1600 trying to find out what's wrong him!!! With no real answers... They are stumped!! He has one larger kidney, and enlarged thyroid!!! I've had several tests done!!! Never thought it might be the food!! But I looked to see if they changed the recipe!!!! Sure enough!!! Explains so much right now. Reading all the comments from everyone just verified it's the food!! Going to see my Vet tom!!!

Original review: March 1, 2020

Our standard poodle developed severe diarrhea on several occasions, dating back to November 2019. At first I did connect it with the dog food but that became apparent over time. We put him on bland rice and chicken diet and he got better after 7-10 days. In the meantime, he had diarrhea over many days that was pure liquid with foul smell. We reintroduced his Royal Canin SO and within two days, the same symptoms. Back to rice and chicken. Better. Then a third time with same symptoms after introducing the Royal Canin.

The last time he stopped eating and drinking for an entire day - big red flag for a dog. He was restless and obviously uncomfortable. That was the last time he had Royal Canin. He's now on a homemade low oxalate diet because of his previous bladder stones - doing fine for a month. Threw out the Royal Canin - will never go back to it. Called the company - the chirpy rep said they had no complaints even though I see on this site others called to complain. Hmmm. This all coincided with Royal Canin's switch to a new formula at the time. Something went very wrong, but they won't admit to it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Our vet recommended Royal Canin dry cat food for urinary care, however our two cats vomited several times per week for months. It was rough. When we switched them to no-grain wet food (Weruva) from the pet store, they both stopped vomiting. It was a drastic change. Wet food seems much closer to a cat's natural diet. However, not all wet food is created equal. Grain free, high-quality wet food was the best choice for our cats. No more vomiting.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I have used Royal Canin in one form or another for 20 years with my Chihuahuas. The two older ones lived exclusively on RC Chihuahua and lived both to 16 years of age. My current Chi has been on a RC as of two bags ago with success for her many allergies..hence the novel protein kangaroo...(sorry Roos). No other protein tolerated and the RC hydrolyzed she started to look not as healthy. So the third bag of the Royal Canin Select Dog KO was opened and fed as usual. Since she had 2 full bags with no issues the first vomiting episode I did not connect it to the food. She gets no other treats or human food period due to her issues. She is fed am and pm only. At 4 pm I fed her her evening meal and an hour later vomited multiple times. Her tummy gurgled all night long..thankfully no diarrhea but we were waiting for it. I still have the bag.

I called RC and they sent me the same lot number out. Tried again and same lot number and same batch. I am fearful now there is something wrong as so many others here are having the same problem. The company rep was very kind and took it seriously. The bag in question will go to my vet and she will have it sent in. I am saving some of the food just in case it gets lost. There were no ingredient change in the formula. The smell was a tad bit different. Cannot identify what it is. I hope they can tell something from my bag of dogfood. She needs to be on it and now she is on one that has chickpeas and they don't want her on that one..but she tolerates the venison. We loved RC and they gave our other dogs a healthy life. Something has changed.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I am a retailer that been working with Royal Canin for couple years, few times they send me food that had expiration date only for couple months. I been speaking repeatedly with the customer service about it and no one was doing anything! They are saying that the sales representative will contact me and it took MONTHS!!! (Over 4 months.) Every company that I work with they stay on top of their products and business, but Royal Canin For the reputation they have, it's a shame to act on this very poor way of handling their business.

I also tried to speak with the management regarding the problem but the staff refused to let me talk to them. I stop carrying their product on my shop, and I'll recommend everyone who reads this to check the dates on the food when they buy bigger quantities because they always throw bags that they are close to expire.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

My 12 to cat has been on Royal Canin urinary SO since he was 4. The past year he has been sick after eating it and now he wont eat the wet food at all from most recent case purchased. I dont know what to do.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Oh my goodness! I can't believe all of these reviews. It happened to me too... Royal Canin made my dog sick. He was on it for 2 and a bit weeks, then one day ate his dinner & threw it up... Then became very very sick. Wouldn't eat or drink anything... And he's a chow hound! Lethargic. Dull eyes. Wouldn't wee, yellow poo..

Took him to the vets... Got a shot for nausea but found nothing obvious. Then tried on a different food... Which was wolfed down! So kept him on that food and he was right as rain after 2 days. Point blank refuses to touch Royal Canin.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I have purchased Royal Canin wet and dry food for three cats, from our veterinarian, for years. I have recently decided to change brands. The reason is that the moisture content in the canned food is inconsistent. When I open a can that is on the dry side, my cat will not eat it. In fact, she tries to bury it. I reached out to customer service and they suggested that I add water to it. I tried that and it did not work. I was quite disappointed with customer service when I have been a long standing customer. When you were buying a top quality cat food, I don’t think you should have to add water to the wet food so that your cat will eat it. Unfortunate. I will try another brand. Another brand.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

If I could I would not give this any stars, but it makes you. My cat is diabetic. I bought 3 24 packs of 3 oz. Cans of Royal Canin Glycobalance at 35.99 each 24 pack. That's a lot of money to waste on a cat food that I find out that made my cat's sugar go higher b/c guess what it's full of starches. My vet acted surprised when he saw the ingredients and was disappointed that a diabetic cat food would have all these starches. I'm very upset, my cat is my baby and he's had a lot of medical issues and to find out I put all this money into this food thinking it would help regulate his sugar and it just made him worse makes me very upset. This food should not be made to sound like it's good for regulating sugar. Will never buy ANYTHING from royal canin EVER again!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

We have 4 cats who all eat the Urinary SO prescription food. One of our cats has a serious problem with crystals in his urine and we never had to worry while they were eating this food. We have gotten this food for years with no problems. The last couple of days, I started to notice a bright red color would appear in the wet food after it had been exposed to oxygen. We called the company and they said it was some kind of bacteria from pigs' livers and we must live near water or had flooding. We don't. I don't know what the moisture level in our home would have to do with it. This is wet cat food. They said it was fine for our cats to eat. First of all, I don't believe any cat should be knowingly fed bacteria, so that is ridiculous. Also, our cats refused to eat it, which is definitely a sign that something is wrong. Our vet had no real comment but made a note in our chart.

This has made me so angry that the company would not care at all if our cats get sick or die because of this. Our cats are older (10/11 years) and a couple of them already have health problems. I am thankful that so far they don't seem to have gotten sick from this, but I will not feed this red stuff to my cats. I will be switching brands if I can find something that won't kill our cat with UTI issues.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Got ???? WORMS in a Royal Canin sealed pack which was unnoticeable. As usual we fed our dog the same not knowingly it was having worms in it. After some days he got allergies all over the body. My dog suffered a lot and we suffered watching him. When I mailed them they told they would just replace the bag of food. That’s all. What about the sufferings of my baby. I would never ever go back to this brand????

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

My cat has eaten SO for about a year. All of a sudden he wouldn’t eat it and became ill. He lost all energy, salivated and hid. We stopped feeding him this food and introduced one that was had already researched would be safe for a short time that is over the counter, so to speak. We mo I tired him and then called our vet. We’re trying other options now. He is marginally better today. We’ll see if he eats the other options tonight. I emailed Royal Canin 4 days ago when this started and they have not responded yet. So we learned they changed the formula and texture and recipe. Without telling their customers. They are making cats sick. I shudder when I read the other reports. This is not made up or internet hype. This is really happening. I hope they lose a lot of money. They are jerks in my book. Stay away from them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have two cats who have been on Royal Canin Urinary SO and have loved it and been fine for years. Recently opened a new bag (the gold packaging used to be green) and my two cats over the course of 2 weeks have stopped eating it, have diarrhea and were throwing up. They are lethargic and not themselves. Called RC and gave them the batch number and they said they would test it and reply back. That was two days ago (January 3, 2020). Not sure how long that will take but I am not confident they will return my call with any info or responsibility. The lady on the phone was nice, but said there was nothing wrong with the food. I told her I was seeing lots of complaints about it online and she said, "Well, sir, you know with social media lots of people say a lot of things." I honestly do get that, a lot of people get very brave behind a keyboard, but there is a pattern and a LOT of people are having issues and that’s just those of us who take the time to write/post.

I asked her if I truly was the FIRST person to call with a complaint and she said YES. I can't believe that. Everyone having issues needs to post reviews but ALSO CALL RC and complain. I'm very worried about my cats. And I don't think RC will own up to anything. Meanwhile, I'm about to be neck deep in vet bills. My cats are indoor cats only. We don't feed them table food or anything else but this expensive prescription food. We have switched prescriptions to Hill's Science Diet's version of the same thing and they are barely eating that. It’s like they are scared to eat because that causes pain. The pet food industry is a scam…they know we love our pets and will do almost anything for them ($$) and they exploit that. It's big business and they have too much at stake to admit anything unless forced to do so.

My vet said that they have to have "a certain number of complaints" before they are required by law to report it. Please write your reviews and call RC. The batch number on my bag in question – 07MAR2021 19250001 RFT F1 07:12. I returned the bag to PetSmart and they gave me a full refund…but I saved some of it in the event this needs to be tested by an independent source. If enough of us have problems perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order? Please help to put RC (and the pet food industry) on notice. This is unacceptable and inhumane and very irresponsible. To say I’m mad is a gross understatement.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I feed both my cats the Urinary SO canned and the Urinary SO moderate calorie dry food on the recommendation of my vet. The dry food has caused both of my cats to vomit. One of them vomited for two days and stopped eating entirely. He is now hospitalized with aspiration pneumonia because of the vomiting and he is fighting for his life. I have found over 20 reviews similar to my experience on this site that were reported within the last few months. Something is obviously not right here, and this food is killing animals.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

We adopted a cat years ago and only food we could get her to eat was Royal Canin. But this last year our cat has been having diarrhea every day. Her diarrhea so bad she doesnt even make it to her litter box! We thought she was just getting old. We were in a rush on the way to a vacation and they didnt have royal cat food so we grabbed another brand and it's been a month or so and she doesnt have diarrhea.

I feel like the the issue got worse after the kibble design changed as well.. Did the formula change too?! (maybe related) She seemed sluggish since we got her too but since her food change she seems to be somewhat different.. Better attitude. No diarrhea episodes at all since. Going to do a vet follow up next week to tell the vet. The vet gives this stuff in her office but I will tell her my concerns and see what she thinks. (FYI: used to get big bags and was told If they dont go through it quickly it can go bad. We thought that was it but we did small bags and still diarrhea. Our cat doesnt do treats or catnip. She is very picky so she was only eating royal canin.)

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

My cats suddenly stopped eating and have not been eating for nearly a week. After an extensive amount of tests, they opened up my cat Rajah for exploratory surgery because the xrays showed something in his stomach and that his intestines were swollen. They was after he had not eaten anything for over 5 days. When they got in there, they found that his intestines were so swollen that he could not pass anything, they found rotten food and bile stuck in his stomach and intestines that they had to manually take out. After the surgery he is finally eating and drinking again (different food now) and going to the bathroom. He was so bad he was drooling all over the place and so lethargic that he would not respond to me. He is 10 years old and could have died if it was in there much longer or from surgery itself.

Now my other cat is showing the same symptoms and is at the vet to get xrays. How Royal Canin can sell food that is this harmful to an animal's body is beyond me. The vets have ruled out everything else at this point. I am so upset that the food I feed my cats is hurting them so much when I thought I was buying them good food. I have spent thousands of dollars just trying to keep my cat alive right now.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

On vet's advice, this week I took delivery of £130 GBP worth of dog food. As my dog wouldn't so much touch the food and is ill, I thought I'd phone the manufacturer for advice on whether I could add anything to this very expensive food so as to get my dog to eat it as the vet said he was not to eat anything else. I phoned their helpline and got the message that they charge their customers £0.72 pence per minute for the privelage of needing to speak to a human being pretty urgently. And lo and behold another recorded voice was ready to send me round in circles running up my phone bill.

I immediately smelled SCAM, what kind of reputable company charges extortionate prices to give information to their customers??!! Reputable companies don't, they may have a local call charge or they may have a free phone number but they certainly don't SCAM their customers Royal Canin. How may customers may need pretty urgent advice or indeed how may customers don't have internet access or may not be able to use a keyboard. I SMELL SCAMMERS!! And how far does the scam go, I now think to myself "ROYAL" Canin? where do they get the royal from? What's the relationship between this pet food company and Buckingham Palace? Is there one?

Why would the 90 year old pensioner's favourite Royal Queen be giving the Windsor seal of approval to a company that is Scamming the public and likely the most vulnerable?? Why are the vets so eager to promote this company's products? I dare say huge profits at any cost. Time to follow the money and see where they get off using the title Royal! Royal Scammers???

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I’ve used RC for years but recently - within the last year she started to vomit the food up and it also spoils after just a few hours. In Addition, there are some really questionable particles In This food. She specifically has thrown the particles up each time. My cat is not one to get sick a lot like some cats so I am VERY concerned about this new formulation - which is what Royal Canine called it when I spoke with them. Don’t ignore your pets sickness. It’s not your imagination! Call RC and coMain and don't forget to tell your let to the vet!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

My cats have been eating Royal Canin since birth. This particular 12 pack of small cans my cats were projectile vomiting everywhere. I was out of town while this was going on. My son figured out it was the canned cat food so he stopped feeding it to them. I have four cans left. I switched food and they are much better thankfully! They need to look into this particular batch ASAP!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I have a 4 month old black lab puppy. I started a slow, slowww switch of his food about 3 weeks ago. He’s being transitioned to the puppy lab food from Royal Canin. The farther we got through the switch. A lot of things started to change... Abnormally stinkier his poops got, vomiting ever few days, stinky farts, crazy dry skin, constipation, butt dragging on the ground, and his poop is some solid and some soft. He’s completely changed. I will definitely be changing back to old food. He deserves better. Of course I bought a 30 pound bag that now I’ll have to throw away.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Rottweiler just turned 3, has been on Royal Canin his whole life. All of sudden he’s gotten diarrhea for weeks. Vet told us to try Royal Canin GI, three weeks later still loose stool and doesn’t seem himself. We completely got rid of the stuff. Won’t ever use it again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

My male cat has been on RC Urinary S/O Moderate Calorie for UTI’s for a little over a year without any issues. His two sisters eat it as well. However, the last bag that I purchased from my vet a couple weeks ago has caused all three of them to vomit a lot. Two of my three cats never vomit, but they have both projectile vomited three or four times a week since two weeks ago, after eating from the new bag.

Yesterday morning I took the food up and mentioned what was going on to the vet tech today when I took my dog in. She gave me another bag, hoping it was from a different batch, but when I got home and compared the bags they had the same expiration dates on them. I phoned my vet tech to let her know, and I’ll be returning both bags. My male needs urinary food, so until something changes with RC I purchased him some OTC Hills Science Urinary and Hairball. The bad food has an expiration date of 12/04/2020. Me and my vet will also be notifying Royal Canine as well.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

We have a three year old Rottweiler who has just been diagnosed with lymphoid cancer. She has been on Royal Canin her whole life and does not get anything else except water. DO NOT BUY THIS DOG FOOD or do your research about its ingredients. We are devastated and have been given two months left with our girl!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I have 2 labs, 13 and 4 years old who have been on this food for about 2 years. Recently, my older lab has had bouts of diarrhea and I've had to switch her to I/D. She gets better, I put her back on the Royal Canin only to repeat the pattern. Both dogs' stools have changed since this last bag -- they are lighter in color. I'm chucking the bag after reading all these similar reports -- my next call is Chewy, then Consumer Affairs. Something isn't right!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I was recommended to buy the wet food to mix with dry food to entice my lab and golden retriever to eat their dry food. The rep for this company was in the aisle when I went to PetSmart and she highly recommended two different kinds of wet food. After giving just a couple spoonfuls and mixing it in both of their bowls both of my dogs were deathly ill! Nonstop vomiting and diarrhea every 10 minutes for almost 72 hours! This overpriced food is seriously a joke! I spoke with my vet and was trying to avoid $1000 pet visit for both so was able to put them on steamed rice and steamed chicken per the vet's recommendation. Do not buy this food unless you want your dog to almost die from vomiting diarrhea and dehydration!

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information