2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.63/5

Royal Canin sells breed and life stage tailored nutritional dog and cat food products in veterinary clinics and retail stores throughout the United States. The company has more than 200 formulas on the market, which lets owners find dry and wet pet food for a variety of dog and cat breeds and sizes.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: March 5, 2020

I have been feeding my cats Urinary so for years now.... And the past 3 months my one cat has lost 3 pounds, he's getting very thin now, He pukes every day!!! Has diarrhea.!!! I've spent $1600 trying to find out what's wrong him!!! With no real answers... They are stumped!! He has one larger kidney, and enlarged thyroid!!! I've had several tests done!!! Never thought it might be the food!! But I looked to see if they changed the recipe!!!! Sure enough!!! Explains so much right now. Reading all the comments from everyone just verified it's the food!! Going to see my Vet tom!!!

Original review: March 1, 2020

Our standard poodle developed severe diarrhea on several occasions, dating back to November 2019. At first I did connect it with the dog food but that became apparent over time. We put him on bland rice and chicken diet and he got better after 7-10 days. In the meantime, he had diarrhea over many days that was pure liquid with foul smell. We reintroduced his Royal Canin SO and within two days, the same symptoms. Back to rice and chicken. Better. Then a third time with same symptoms after introducing the Royal Canin.

The last time he stopped eating and drinking for an entire day - big red flag for a dog. He was restless and obviously uncomfortable. That was the last time he had Royal Canin. He's now on a homemade low oxalate diet because of his previous bladder stones - doing fine for a month. Threw out the Royal Canin - will never go back to it. Called the company - the chirpy rep said they had no complaints even though I see on this site others called to complain. Hmmm. This all coincided with Royal Canin's switch to a new formula at the time. Something went very wrong, but they won't admit to it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Our vet recommended Royal Canin dry cat food for urinary care, however our two cats vomited several times per week for months. It was rough. When we switched them to no-grain wet food (Weruva) from the pet store, they both stopped vomiting. It was a drastic change. Wet food seems much closer to a cat's natural diet. However, not all wet food is created equal. Grain free, high-quality wet food was the best choice for our cats. No more vomiting.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I have used Royal Canin in one form or another for 20 years with my Chihuahuas. The two older ones lived exclusively on RC Chihuahua and lived both to 16 years of age. My current Chi has been on a RC as of two bags ago with success for her many allergies..hence the novel protein kangaroo...(sorry Roos). No other protein tolerated and the RC hydrolyzed she started to look not as healthy. So the third bag of the Royal Canin Select Dog KO was opened and fed as usual. Since she had 2 full bags with no issues the first vomiting episode I did not connect it to the food. She gets no other treats or human food period due to her issues. She is fed am and pm only. At 4 pm I fed her her evening meal and an hour later vomited multiple times. Her tummy gurgled all night long..thankfully no diarrhea but we were waiting for it. I still have the bag.

I called RC and they sent me the same lot number out. Tried again and same lot number and same batch. I am fearful now there is something wrong as so many others here are having the same problem. The company rep was very kind and took it seriously. The bag in question will go to my vet and she will have it sent in. I am saving some of the food just in case it gets lost. There were no ingredient change in the formula. The smell was a tad bit different. Cannot identify what it is. I hope they can tell something from my bag of dogfood. She needs to be on it and now she is on one that has chickpeas and they don't want her on that one..but she tolerates the venison. We loved RC and they gave our other dogs a healthy life. Something has changed.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I am a retailer that been working with Royal Canin for couple years, few times they send me food that had expiration date only for couple months. I been speaking repeatedly with the customer service about it and no one was doing anything! They are saying that the sales representative will contact me and it took MONTHS!!! (Over 4 months.) Every company that I work with they stay on top of their products and business, but Royal Canin For the reputation they have, it's a shame to act on this very poor way of handling their business.

I also tried to speak with the management regarding the problem but the staff refused to let me talk to them. I stop carrying their product on my shop, and I'll recommend everyone who reads this to check the dates on the food when they buy bigger quantities because they always throw bags that they are close to expire.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

My 12 to cat has been on Royal Canin urinary SO since he was 4. The past year he has been sick after eating it and now he wont eat the wet food at all from most recent case purchased. I dont know what to do.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Oh my goodness! I can't believe all of these reviews. It happened to me too... Royal Canin made my dog sick. He was on it for 2 and a bit weeks, then one day ate his dinner & threw it up... Then became very very sick. Wouldn't eat or drink anything... And he's a chow hound! Lethargic. Dull eyes. Wouldn't wee, yellow poo..

Took him to the vets... Got a shot for nausea but found nothing obvious. Then tried on a different food... Which was wolfed down! So kept him on that food and he was right as rain after 2 days. Point blank refuses to touch Royal Canin.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I have purchased Royal Canin wet and dry food for three cats, from our veterinarian, for years. I have recently decided to change brands. The reason is that the moisture content in the canned food is inconsistent. When I open a can that is on the dry side, my cat will not eat it. In fact, she tries to bury it. I reached out to customer service and they suggested that I add water to it. I tried that and it did not work. I was quite disappointed with customer service when I have been a long standing customer. When you were buying a top quality cat food, I don’t think you should have to add water to the wet food so that your cat will eat it. Unfortunate. I will try another brand. Another brand.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

If I could I would not give this any stars, but it makes you. My cat is diabetic. I bought 3 24 packs of 3 oz. Cans of Royal Canin Glycobalance at 35.99 each 24 pack. That's a lot of money to waste on a cat food that I find out that made my cat's sugar go higher b/c guess what it's full of starches. My vet acted surprised when he saw the ingredients and was disappointed that a diabetic cat food would have all these starches. I'm very upset, my cat is my baby and he's had a lot of medical issues and to find out I put all this money into this food thinking it would help regulate his sugar and it just made him worse makes me very upset. This food should not be made to sound like it's good for regulating sugar. Will never buy ANYTHING from royal canin EVER again!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

We have 4 cats who all eat the Urinary SO prescription food. One of our cats has a serious problem with crystals in his urine and we never had to worry while they were eating this food. We have gotten this food for years with no problems. The last couple of days, I started to notice a bright red color would appear in the wet food after it had been exposed to oxygen. We called the company and they said it was some kind of bacteria from pigs' livers and we must live near water or had flooding. We don't. I don't know what the moisture level in our home would have to do with it. This is wet cat food. They said it was fine for our cats to eat. First of all, I don't believe any cat should be knowingly fed bacteria, so that is ridiculous. Also, our cats refused to eat it, which is definitely a sign that something is wrong. Our vet had no real comment but made a note in our chart.

This has made me so angry that the company would not care at all if our cats get sick or die because of this. Our cats are older (10/11 years) and a couple of them already have health problems. I am thankful that so far they don't seem to have gotten sick from this, but I will not feed this red stuff to my cats. I will be switching brands if I can find something that won't kill our cat with UTI issues.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information