It's that easy Request Information
4.53/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Taste of the Wild provides a wide variety of quality wet & dry food options for dogs & cats. Taste of the Wild understand the importance of feeding quality food to your pets, which is why we are committed to strict quality and safety standards. Contact us today or visit our website to find out more about our products and where you can find them!

1099 Taste of the Wild Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I own a wolf hybrid and I will not use any other product for her. Taste of the Wild has quality ingredients that I trust. My dog is happy and healthy thanks to this brand! We have used a ton of different flavors, and use the canned food as well.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have used Taste of the Wild dog food to supplement home cooked foods for my dogs for years. About a month ago, my schools started having bloody diarrhea and vomiting. I had just purchased a new bag of Taste of the Wild. The dog went to the vet and was diagnosed with pancreatitis. After 2 days with the vet, he came home and has required a lot of care and home cooking. Our second dog then started vomiting excessively (10 times in an hours, not bloody). I removed flea collars from both dogs and washed the dogs. (Collars were a month old, but I wanted to eliminate any possibility.) I put them back on chicken and rice solely. Both got better. I fed a bit of Taste of the Wild the past few days and my Schnoodle is vomiting and lethargic again. What is in this dog food?

Taste of the Wild response

I’m sorry to hear about the pancreatitis. Your vet probably explained that most cases of pancreatitis are idiopathic (cause unknown). One exception to this is the exposure to organophosphates. Depending on which brand of flea collar you used, the collar may be the cause. It takes a good week for the gastrointestinal cells to regenerate after a GI upset, so switching back from a bland diet like you made, too soon, can be too much for the system and result in GI signs again. Nonetheless we would love to be able to do an internal investigation into your batch. We retain samples from each batch and assess them. Please email the production code from the back of the back to CustomerService@tasteofthewildpetfood.com

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been feeding my dogs Taste of the Wild for about four years, and now my one dog has DCM. She is a pitbull, which isn't a breed that typically gets this disease. My vet informed me that grain free diets, like Taste of the Wild can lower taurine levels and cause this deadly disease. I hope nobody else has to see their dog in a state of congestive heart failure (she is alive). So I had to switch foods (vets orders), to one that includes grains, and I hope this didn't affect my other dog.

Taste of the Wild response

I’m glad your dog is getting treated. The puzzle regarding taurine and DCM, is unfortunately, far from being solved. Taurine is an amino acid. There is no requirement for dog food to have taurine since people and dogs make it from the amino acid precursors, cysteine and methionine. We add taurine to all of the TOW recipes, so that if a dog has difficulty making or assimilating taurine, it is available for them from the food. I certainly don’t want to trivialize what you and your dog have gone thru but I believe to date out of the 89.7 million dogs in the US, less than 200 have been reported to the FDA

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have had nothing but a positive experience with this brand. When I adopted my puppy at 16 weeks old, she was underweight and had a tapeworm. We’ve been through the wringer with her digestive issues. She seemed to always have soft stools and stomach gurgling. We went through 3 different brands, some with grain, some grain free and it was always the same - soft smelly stools and still underweight. The tapeworm was gone and the vet said it would just take time for her to put on weight. But something just seemed off to me.

I decided to try a food with no poultry ingredients and started her on the Pacific Steam puppy recipe. Her stools firmed up right away. She was on that for a while, and then we got a sample of the PREY line. Her stools got even better. She has been on the Beef recipe for a few weeks and is doing so well. It’s the first time since we’ve had her that she’s had consistently healthy stools. Her skin biting has stopped too. I will continue feeding this food for a long time!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have a 10 yo Lab and a 2 yo Lab-Chow mix. Both are very high energy dogs and require over 30% protein and at least 18% fat in their diet, or they begin to lose weight like crazy. Being in college, I couldn't afford anything too special, so I had them both on Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 ($56 for a 50 lbs. bag) and they were doing well. But I really didn't like that there were so many fillers in it. I had previously tried them on a grain-free food (Wholeheartedly), but they both had gastrointestinal issues, even though I had introduced it slowly.

So I really did my research and I found that TOTW High Prairie was grain-free and had 32% protein. Looking at just the price, it is one of the most affordable grain-free brands. I go through a 30 lbs. bag in about a month between the two of them ($48 at Chewy.com or $46 with autoship). My dogs love the taste so much that my younger dog would spit out the old food and just eat the TOTW as we were transitioning over. I'm very happy with the food quality and my dogs haven't had any issues and LOVE the food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We have a Bichon and a Puggle and have been using TOTW lamb for the past 8 months because all other dog food we purchased before affected the Bichon with allergies and it has since cleared up. We just purchased a new bag this week and the dogs are eating like there's no tomorrow. Was there a recipe change on this food recently???

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We have been feeding our dog Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Lamb Formula for 2 years. She has had rare instances of vomiting in the past, including one day where she was sick multiple times. She recovered from that incident and seemed fine. However, this past Monday we needed an emergency vet visit (including tests and x-rays) after we opened a new bag of TOTW Sierra Mountain Lamb Formula and the dog became violently ill. She threw up at least six times and was excessively thirsty (leading to an accident in the house, which has not happened since the week she was adopted 12/2016). Our vet told us after a 2 1/2 hour exam that our dog's GI tract was severely inflamed and we needed to stop her normal diet immediately (not only to give the GI tract a chance to heal, but to stop any possible tainted food from entering her system).

I contacted Taste of the Wild and they continue to insist that there's "no other complaints" in our area with this formula. I offered to send them back a sample of the food and they have not responded at all in my repeat inquiries asking where to send the sample. To top it off, I got a rather rude email from their "vet" Dr. **, who wrote, "it is not uncommon in dogs or people to feel a bit of nausea or disinterest associated with what we or they last ate. I’ve never felt the same about mac and cheese since college." Seriously? This is a person you employ to correspond with customers with sick animals?

My dog may need to be on a bland diet for another 7-10 days and she needs more tests, possibly including an ultrasound. If this is food related, everyone needs to know. And since TOTW won't test the sample, I'm sending it a friend of mine who works to uncover consumer affairs for a national news outlet. They are in a year-long study on byproducts and waste in dog foods and more than willing to test it for me.

Taste of the Wild response

We hope your dog is improving, it sounds like it has been a very stressful time for everyone. We have a list of AAFCO (American Association of Feed Control Officials) approved pet food testing labs we would be happy to provide you if you would like. The reason we don't bring samples of food back into the plants for testing is because of fear of contamination.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I absolute love this brand of food. The Bison formula is where it’s at for my two pooches. Lexi, and Rex my two 3 year old Presa-Canario (brother and sister) has skin allergies. Therefore, I am very picky and careful about what I feed them. A lot of food makes their belly upset, and then they are in and out all night long. But, once I switched Lexi and Rex over to this grain-free Bison formula, they don’t have upset bellies. Although, they prefer the Bison flavour, the store I normally go to (FarmNFleet) was out of the Bison. I did not want to switch the brand, so I tried a different taste. We tried the Salmon... Nope, not for my dogs. They were having accidents left and right, and they never have accidents in the house. So, there goes that, Bison we stay with. :) Thanks Taste of the Wild!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My cat was having trouble going to the bathroom & I was trying to find a cat food, which was Organic & had No Artificial Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Artificial Flavors. That's "NOT" an easy task, for animal or human food, etc.! There are words which mean the above, but the fronts & small print on labels claim to be free of the above. You "ALWAYS" need to "CAREFULLY READ" all ingredients in the "INGREDIENTS LABEL". A Food Ingredients Label should "NEVER CONTAIN" the words "ENRICHED", "BLEACHED", "REDUCED CALORIE" OR "LOW FAT"!

I had come across Taste of the Wild (was using dry food then) & liked the ingredients & bought it (I always bought the big bag, ("WHICH ISN'T LOCATED WITH THE SMALL BAG"). Gave it to my cat & after eating it for a couple of days, started being able to go to the bathroom again. It's higher priced than some brands (but "not as high" as others), but worth the price, if you have the money. Taste of the Wild Dog & Cat Food can be purchased at Tractor Supply. If you do not have one close to you, you could always go to there website & they do have a Facebook page. Thank you to the makers of Taste of the Wild!!

No response received
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My dog became very ill eating this food, at first he just quit eating it, so I had the sense to change his food, then it was used as a treat at a Doggie bootcamp, and he became very ill, severe gastroenteritis - what in the hell would do that? Then my son fed his 4 month puppy TOTW puppy food, same thing in just a couple days, took days to switch foods, pumpkin, rice, and chicken to get his inside put back together. What are you putting in that food? My guess would be pesticides? Heavy Metals? Melamine? I have never seen anything like it, it's like slowly poisoning your dog, BEWARE.

Hi,
Sorry to hear about the sick pooches. Please tell me more about your dog-name, breed and age. Has he been eating TOTW for quite some time? Which recipe were you feeding when this happened? As far as your son's puppy, may I have the answers to the same questions as to your dog's? In selling over 40,000 bags of TOTW every day, the last thing we want is for dogs to be ill. We do not add any pesticides, metals or melamine. In fact, the opposite, our suppliers are held to a very high standard. Semis are not able to unload ingredients until we test it upon arrival to our plants. If, after we test, the ingredients are not found worthy, the whole load is rejected.

Dr. Heldman

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have had my dogs, and I have 7, on Taste of the Wild Prey Limited Ingredient Angus Beef. I was so excited to see this come into the store. I shop Tractor Supply. I have been buying it weekly since it became available, as it is new, so new Chewy didn't have it when I tried to order it, and have noticed that after I dump the food into my plastic container with sealed lid, in the house. I am finding at least 1 snail in the container. I at first, thought, no way, it's not in the food. How would it survive? But I have consistently gotten a snail in the last 4 or 5 bags!

I am concerned, as I have a boxer with digestive issues and skin issues that me and the vet have been going crazy trying to diagnose, and am now POSITIVE the snail is in the bag of food, that possibly this is what is going on for him. I don't know how snails would affect a dog, or what them crawling around in the bag would do to the food but it really has me upset, as I thought I was giving my dogs the best of the best. I also have been doing research on lentils and heart disease. I have been advised to switch my dog food to something without lentils. By my vet!! I am switching Tuesday. Why oh why can't I find a dog food that is completely great for my dog without having to have a Masters in nutrition. I do know, that I will be emailing Diamond about the snails!!

Hello,
I hope your Boxer is doing better. Sorry to hear about the presence of life in the food.I want to discover the source. Are they slugs or snails? Snails have shells, if that helps. You buy it from Tractor Supply and then, where do you store it once you get it home? Thanks

Dr Heldman

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have found Taste of the Wild High Prairie a great food source for our dogs. They maintain a good weight and nice coats. We do mix a bit of canned food with their meal, but they will eat it dry as well. I would and have recommended Taste of the Wild to friends.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Since adopting our ex-racing greyhound, Winston, four year ago, we have been feeding him Taste of the Wild while trying to "heal" his gut from the terrible food he received at the track. He loves the high protein diet and has been able to maintain his lean, muscular profile. We now have our Chihuahua eating it too!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

My little buddy had developed very bad diarrhea from a competitor brand. Started over with a bland food diet. Got some high plains TOTW... I have never seen my dogs coat so shiny and him so excited to eat every meal! He licks his bowl clean every time. Before he would always have a dog food crust ring around the bowl from the competitor brand... we know who that is... ;-) Best thing I've done lately for my best friend! He deserves it!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Our precious Bailey is one happy dog! Since we first tried it, he has always enjoyed "Taste of the Wild" dog food and that's now exactly the only one he always gets! He truly seems to enjoy the variety of awesome flavors, too! Plus, praise God, his digestive system and overall health seem good (and we would think that has to be attributed to the goodness in his dog food).

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Dry cat food - I got three male kittens at the shelter. Since I know that a possible problem with male cats is urinary blockage, I asked my vet what I should feed them. She recommended Taste of the Wild, and told me she has her own cats on it. The boys love it! No health problems. Their stool is formed, no diarrhea. They will be on it for life.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Solid poops. Dog doesn't like the flavors too much but solid poops every time. Tried all the flavors and he doesn't seem to like most of them unfortunately. But ever since I switched to this dog food I have never had a problem with his poop. That is why I keep buying this food.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

This dog food is high quality, my staffy Boris loves it and is healthy as it gets. I love being able to rely on a dog food and not have to question or worry about the quality of ingredients. Boris loves the wetlands flavor, I highly recommend this product, your dogs deserve it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I used to make our dogs food weekly to avoid the grains and fillers found in other dog foods, but Taste of the Wild provides the high-quality nutrition I want for her without all of the labor. We also feed our cat Taste of the Wild cat food. He was on a prescription food when we adopted him, but took to Taste of the Wild immediately and hasn't had the kidney and other issues that required him to eat the expensive prescription stuff! We highly recommend this pet food for anyone looking for high quality, grain free solutions for their pets.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have a pitbull and two Frenchies, they are all at different stages in their lives so it makes buying food for them a little difficult. However Taste of the Wild has been our go to for the past 8 years and all three of them love this brand. It’s super affordable and they gobble it up like it’s going out of style!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Our little Mountain Feist (a terrier breed), Sadie loves the Appalachian Valley Small Breed Grain-free! She's four years old, healthy, and feisty as ever. She has regular bowel movements. We're part of the 14 lb. bag loyalty program and excited to get our free bag soon. Taste of the Wild has specialized food for all types, sizes and ages of dog.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Good quality and choice of grain free food. Just a bit pricey. Would like to see more choice of meat alone food and no potato or peas added. A bit more gravy would enhance the flavor of the can food with the dry food. Need coupons to buy more can food.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I want to Thank You for using the gifts God has blessed you with; to bless me, my dog & so many other! My dog has been on this food since a pup & she eats each bowl like she loves it! You are appreciated! Keep up the great job! God bless you.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

The food gives our dogs a shiny coat and good poops. Our dogs seem to really love it. It would be great if you could add other flavors for small dogs. They love the Appalachian formula but sometimes they get bored and we have to switch it up. Overall, we really enjoy Taste of the Wild!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I switched my yellow lab from Orijen Original to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream about two years ago. He hasn't had any issues with it, he still loves the flavor, the price is reasonable, and it is available at my local feed store. He is not picky with food that he eats, so we have never had to switch flavors. But, I am sure he would eat any of them. I am happy they have a reward program, too. It is a nice perk for those of us who stay loyal to one brand.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Our dogs have very sensitive tummies. We went through multiple brands and almost every flavor of Taste of the Wild before we found the lamb flavor. Our dogs love it and the lamb flavor of Taste of the Wild is nutritious and gentle on our dogs stomachs. With two big dogs, it’s vital that our dogs enjoy their food and there are no digestion issues. Taste of the Wild is our go to dog food!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have 2 dogs that are allergic to almost every ingredients dog food kibble is made from. Taste of the Wild is one of the few that does not have those ingredients. There are others which I tried but the dogs did not care for. Taste of the Wild is the only one they eat with gusto! They don't walk away until it's finished!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

My dog absolutely loves Taste of Wild. The grain free dog food is healthy, gives my dog a shiny coat and plenty of energy. My friend's dog will only eat Taste of Wild when I go to their home and stay or she comes to my home. She is now a Taste of Wild customer as well.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have a 5 yr. old, #58 Bull Terrier (Malcolm) that I got from my sister at a yr. and a half, after he bit a member of the family and couldn't stay there any longer. Wanting to get him the best I could, and an hour, or so, online, I made my decision to purchase Taste of the Wild. It has lots of little extras, like pro-biotics (I feel they help me, why not him?), no grains, natural and wild-sourced proteins, etc. How could I, a self-proclaimed fitness/health nut, do anything less for my new charge?! He's now 5 1/2 yrs. old and is healthy and regular. Important for us all. Lol.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have a dog that was allergic to everything. I started him on Taste of the Wild a few years ago. He no longer has dry skin. He has grown all his hair back and his coat looks beautiful again. Before he looked like he had the mange. I would recommend this food for anyone that is having health issue to see if it could help.

Taste of the Wild expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.

• Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.

• Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.

• Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.

• Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Taste of the Wild Company Information