1.64/5
  • 1 star
Based on 257 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Taste of the Wild

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 22, 2018

274 Taste of the Wild Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have been feeding my bichon/shih tzu TOTW for 3 years now. I went in to a well known pet food retailer here in Phoenix, AZ and I asked an associate about the new food TOTW is selling called PREY. I also told the associate I had been feeding my dog TOTW for the last 3 years. The associate said to me "I think you need to know that I received an email from my Manager that said there are reports of serious health issues with dogs eating TOTW, including death". I was shocked. Then I Googled and found this site and it sure seems what she told me is true. I am now switching brands.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I had been using TOTW Dry Dog Food for about 1 year when I started having problems in October 2017. I have two Springer Spaniels, and both, who had loved TOTW, suddenly started to become shy around the food, with a complete loss of appetite and didn't want to eat it. First it was one of the dogs with loose stool, diarrhea and vomiting, and less than a week later had the other dog with the same symptoms. Because of my high regard for TOTW, initially I thought the sickness had been brought on by treats or garbage on the street, but when I withdrew the treats and the second dog began to show the same symptoms, I immediately changed out of the food (after having the dogs stay at the vet for dehydration). I am waiting for these messages to stop, to switch back to TOTW, and check every couple of weeks, and to my dismay, more messages keep getting added. I am in the Dominican Republic.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have been feeding TOTW to my Kai for almost 4 years (Pacific Stream) and have never had an issue. I just purchased a bag last week and Kai has had diarrhea and has vomited as well since eating this bag. I will be contacting customer service tomorrow and taking him to the vet. I'm just extremely disappointed because I have been so satisfied with this brand/food for my pets... But seeing as in how multiple people are currently having this issue I'm assuming it's the food. This bag was purchased in Orlando, Fl.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I bought some cans of Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Salmon to feed my puppies. I opened the can and smelled it. It was so foul I gagged and nearly vomited due to the foul smell. I am positive that if I fed this to my puppies they would all be dead. I have used Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Salmon dry food in the past with no issues but I will not longer buy or trust this brand. The label Best by Jun 29 20 59XSM2-H 2119.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Starting in December 2017 my dogs have been hesitant to eat their dog food. One of them will flat out refuse to eat a few times a week. I have two middle aged Shepherd mixes and they've been eating this food for years. Did the recipe change? What happened? I've had to take them to the vet and deal with a great deal of dog vomit and diarrhea. I'm very upset about this. Guess it's time to find a new dog food. Looks like a lot of other people are experiencing something similar.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My two labradors have been on Taste of the Wild for many years and my dogs have done extremely well after being on homemade food for many years. I purchased a bag Of the TOTW Bison/Venison in December 2017. Within a few days my yellow lab had severe uncontrollable watery diarrhea. I contacted my vet who told me to put her on chicken and rice. I immediately changed her diet and she recovered within a day or so. Subsequently this morning, my black lab who has remained on the Taste of the Wild food, has developed the same severe watery diarrhea. The only common denominator is the food. I will be changing his diet to chicken and rice today in hopes that he recovers quickly as well.

I was amazed to find the exact same stories on this site and suspect that considering all of the reviews within and my experience that either Taste of the Wild has changed their formula and/or this is a bad batch of food. My dogs will be on chicken and rice until their gastrointestinal tract recovers and then I will be considering alternate options. I believe that there is is a direct link between high quality dog food and the overall health of the dog. This is unacceptable. A recall should be issued and customers should be refunded.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Although it has now been a while since our incident, I thought I should share my story too. We got a new puppy in April, who had been fed Royal Canin by the breeder, which we continued for about 6 weeks. I then decided that I wanted to give her a superior food, grain-free, high protein etc, and started doing research. I decided on Taste of the Wild as our dog trainer stocked it, and it seemed to be nutritionally appropriate. I bought two bags of the puppy varieties from our local stockist. Despite slowly switching the foods over a period of about 10 days, our girl had diarrhea, mucousy and bloody stools, vomiting, was lethargic, down and unhappy. We decided to keep her on the food for a few weeks to see if it settled, as it is apparently common for puppies to experience more problems switching food than adults, however it NEVER settled down, even after a couple of days on boiled chicken/rice then slowly back onto the food.

After speaking to my dad (a human doctor) and cousin (a vet), we decided that the only thing that could be doing it was the food. Safe to say, I was extremely upset when I realised that TOTW was basically poison for her, having spent hours trying to find a food that would be the absolute best option for my puppy. When I found this website, and FB page, with hundreds of negative reviews, I was horrified! Safe to say, we took her off TOTW and onto Ivory Coat (we are in Australia) and haven't looked back. We haven't had a SINGLE issue since we have been on the new food.

Fortunately, our stockist of TOTW refunded us the money to put towards the new food. They asked us to give the old bag to a rescue shelter, which seemed weird, given the problems that we had with the food - no way was I going to give that dreadful stuff to poor dogs who are already vulnerable! Anyway, we bought a different bag of food to give to the shelter instead, and threw the TOTW in the bin, where it belongs. So disappointed; I really thought I was doing the right thing for my dog, and as a stubborn and opinionated person, I have found it very tough to get over this one!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I've been feeding my black lab TOTW Sierra Mountain Dog food for 4 years and have never had a problem. In December 2017 I purchased a bag from Chewy.com. Shortly after opening the bag my dog got diarrhea and he was vomiting. I took him to the vet and they put him on antibiotics and advised me to give him a bland diet of chicken and rice for a few days. After the bland diet he got better and stopped having diarrhea. When I switched back to the food he got diarrhea again. My sister's dog also accidently ate a little food from this same bag and got diarrhea.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Sierra Mountain Dry Dog Food - I’ve been buying Taste of the Wild for my boxer for the last 4 years. She’s prone to allergies and this food was working really well for her. Bought a new bag two weeks ago and suddenly she’s nauseous often, less of an appetite and losing some weight. She’s had hives and bumps on her head and back which I recognize as an allergic reaction, so I removed all treats and all she was getting was TOTW and water. Her back was covered in red lumps and she was shedding like crazy. It gets worse within an hour of eating TOTW. I took away her food and gave her an oatmeal bath and some ** and let the reaction stop, and have switched her food to another brand and she’s fine. Something definitely changed with this food recently, really disappointing as it used to be great.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I changed from Acana to ToTW in August due to cost and recommendations from fellow canine handlers and my local dog community. My Lab/Golden mix and Golden did well until starting the last bag purchased in early December. My young one has begun having loose stools and my 4 year old has horrendous gas (top & bottom). At this time, I do not see serious health issues and will be changing back to a more reliable & healthy brand of food. These are working canines and I cannot endanger them by feeding questionable formula food.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

We've been using this dog food since late August. All was fine until the bag I received in November. I woke up to vomit all over my dog's bed and on the floor. (80lb husky) Trip to the vet thinking it was something bizarre he ate. Still couldn't point my finger on it. Trip back to the vet yesterday because when I touched his stomach he growled in pain. Inflamed intestines. Cause my hmmmm not 100% sure but the vet kept saying diet. Still didnt understand because this food has been great so far. So I'm doing research and stumble upon this website. And wow. Now I know it was definitely the food from the bag I purchased in NOVEMBER 17. I called to report my dog's sickness from the food and of course they have "tested" the food before distribution. Pretty sad that all of us pet owners are saying the same thing! They need to do a recall!!! Never purchasing again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I have been feeding my English Bulldog this food (Pacific Stream Salmon Grain Free) for years with no problems. In December, his severe skin allergies returned that he hasn't had since a puppy came back with a vengeance. I contacted TOW and asked about possible ingredient changes. Yes, a change from garbanzo beans to lentils. That is ALL the email said. I am so upset. Are dog food companies required to label changes to ingredients? My poor dog!!!! He is 9.5 and has hives everywhere!!!! I am livid. Now I have to find yet another food. I do not recommend this company because of their lack of information and keeping ingredient changes a secret which can cause horrible problems in dogs with severe allergies. :(

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

For the past year my JRT has been grain free due to allergies. I've had her on TOTW Pacific Stream (Salmon) since about early last January without issue. Like other reviewers have mentioned, I bought a bag in November 2017 and after a week noticed the same issues. My JRT was lethargic (which at first I chalked up to age since she's 14), had very little appetite (she would eat enough to get by, but not empty the bowl over the course of breakfast/dinner like she had done with other brands), and had loose stools. I've switched her to Merrick's Gluten Free and will be keeping an eye on her for any new symptoms that come up. I'm not sure if this is just a case of a bad mass produced batch or a decline in TOTW's quality; but I know I'm not going to risk my dog's health waiting for TOTW to sort themselves out.

Taste of the Wild response

Janelle - Janelle – We hope the Merrick diet can help your JRT’s gastrointestinal issues. Dogs can develop allergies or sensitivities to foods that they have eaten for some time. If you ever want to talk to us, don’t hesitate to give us a call at 800.342.4808, or you can send us an email by visiting https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/#contact-us. For quality and safety assurance, we run extensive tests on every batch of food before it’s released for sale.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I have been buying TotW for many years for my 2 dogs. I bought a bag of the Venison formula on December 13th. Both dogs seemed to be experiencing less healthy bile movements for about a week. This escalated early morning on December 23rd when one dog had several serious diarrhea accidents in the house. I took my dogs with me while running errands so that I could let them out of the car every 15-20 minutes. The serious diarrhea continued throughout the day, and the normally very excited, hungriest dog became super lethargic and had no appetite. I got her to eat rice at about 9pm that night. Around 2 am, she threw up the rice and then continued to vomit consistently throughout the night -- her diarrhea and vomit were pureblood by morning.

She was admitted to the ER, needed hydration, a shot to stop her from vomiting and was put on anti-diarrheal meds. After a week of a bland diet and starting to get back to normal, I started to ease her back into the food - not suspecting that was the cause - and then she had a seizure-like episode. My other dog is now experiencing blood in her urine. I am so thankful that I looked online to see if other folks were experiencing issues... And I'm thankful my one pup seems stable and recovering. I may be taking the other to the ER now. [I already have a huge vet bill and have to get my car detailed based on all of the bloody diarrhea and vomit from the poor pup getting to the ER :(]

Taste of the Wild response

We are sorry to hear about your ordeal. As pet owners, we understand that when our pets aren’t feeling well, and we try to do everything we can to help them, yet they still aren’t well, it can be very frustrating. We would like to look into your situation and have our on-staff veterinarian speak with you and your veterinarian. Please contact us at 800.342.4808.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

We have three dogs and our Bichon kept having severe diarrhea, mucus and blood in her stool on and off on a regular basis for months. Vet visit revealed nothing in particular. We finally figured out that she was sometimes getting into the food we buy for our Pit in the middle of the night: Taste of the Wild Roasted Bison and Venison dry food. It was when she ate the Taste of the wild she would have bloody diarrhea by the early morning that would last 1-3 days. This is not specific to one particular bag or purchase but the brand/flavor in general. Even though our Pit seemed fine with it we decided to switch out with a different brand and haven’t had issues with the new food.

Taste of the Wild response

Karen - We are sorry to hear about the challenges your Bichon went through and are glad you took her to your veterinarian. It is possible that one of the ingredients in the recipe was just not right for her. Even though it appears you have switched brands, we would like to learn more about your pet’s situation. Please contact one of our Product Specialists at 800.342.4808.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I am currently in contact with TOTW. I have been feeding my dogs TOTW Pacific Stream for YEARS with no issues. Bought a new bag in November, and not long after starting it, my female bulldog became VERY ill, lethargic, stool like water, no appetite, discomfort. We took her to the vet and found her pancreatic numbers raised. We started bland low fat food. Her littermate stopped eating kibble, too and was given the same diet--I figured he was jealous of the fancy food she got. He developed constipation and vomited bile when I tried giving him the kibble. We threw out the bag and contacted COTW, who said they'd check things out and refund the cost. They never called back.

After a long period of lots of meds, stress, and bland food, my female recovered, her numbers dropped, and the vet said to wait a few days and try to slowly introduce the Pacific Stream back. I bought a new bag from the same store, did so, and she became runny after one feeding of just a little kibble. We put them back on the bland diet. When she seemed normal, I tried AGAIN to gradually re-introduce it. She became ill again, liquid stool, lethargic, throwing up bile. Back to the vet. Her levels are fine. Her litter mate soon became ill, too. Just like her: lethargy, watery stool, vomiting bile. Loss of appetite and lots of gas.

I called TOTW again, the staff vet, who is a wonderful lady, apologized for not following through the last time, told me they've not heard other issues, said the formula is the same, but there is a new plant (she says the variety they have isn't made there) and said she's going to follow through. Now I come on here and find a number of people having the EXACT same issues I am.

I'm going to hazard a few guesses: they have a relatively new supplier of an ingredient they use in a few varieties of kibble, and that ingredient is sub-par or contaminated. This seems like Salmonella. OR, someone working in the factory is somehow screwing up or not clean. OR, they ARE making the food at the new plant, or part of it, and there's something wrong there. I do hope there's follow through; my dogs have been happily eating TOTW for a long time, and these new issues are expensive -- I should probably just move into my vet office, stressful (for me and my dogs), and frightening. The company has been (aside from one burble) VERY responsive and VERY concerned...but I do think perhaps with so many people having the same issue, they need to look into their suppliers and check for Salmonella, maybe do a recall until they have it worked out.

Taste of the Wild response

Diana - We do care about your bulldogs and understand your frustration with them not getting and staying well. In speaking with your veterinarian, we understand their case has not been an easy one to solve. We will stay in touch until they are well. Every batch of food goes through extensive quality and safety tests prior to being released for sale, including tests for Salmonella. All of our plants follow the same food safety protocols.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I've been feeding my 2 1/2 year old husky/coonhound mix ToTW Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon for about a year now. A recent bag (Oct 2017 order) that I purchased through Chewy.com seemed to be a questionable bag. There were no issues with the packaging, but the food had a bad smell that was not consistent with past bags. My dog threw up and had diarrhea for a couple of days. I ended up throwing the bag away and opening up my Nov 2017 ToTW shipment. The Nov 2017 shipment smelled better and Lucy hasn't had issues since.

I haven't had any problems with ToTW aside from that Oct 2017 bag, so I'm not dissatisfied with my experience. In fact, I just want to get to the bottom of this and help facilitate a recall if a bad batch is the culprit. I have placed a sample of the Oct 2017 ToTW Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon in a Ziploc and would like to work with ToTW to get it tested. Either this will clear ToTW's name or get a bad batch out of the hands of pet owners, so it's a win-win in my eyes.

Taste of the Wild response

Nathan – We do encourage you to contact us directly. Please contact our Product Specialists at 800.342.4808. We understand you no longer have the bag with the production code that identifies your batch, however hearing the details of your experience will provide us with valuable information.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

My dog has always eaten TOTW and has never had an issue. I bought a bag of TOTW Southwest Canyon and she has had awful diarrhea. Stopped feeding it to her, 24 hour fast, then did boiled chicken and rice for a day (solid poops afterwards) and switched back to her food and the diarrhea started back up. This bag I bought at the end of NOV. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue or not.

Taste of the Wild response

Heather – We are sorry to hear your dog is not feeling well. Since the diarrhea has returned, we recommend that you contact a veterinarian. There have not been any recent changes to the Southwest Canyon recipe. If this is your first time feeding this recipe, it is possible that one of the ingredients is just not right for your dog. We would like to learn more about your pet’s situation. Please contact one of our Product Specialists at 800.342.4808 We hope your dog is feeling better soon!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

My 11 year old has been on Taste of the Wild Prairie for years with no problems. Two weeks ago she ate her morning meal and 3 hours later was quivering, shaking, lethargic, are running a fever. Took her to the emergency vet who ran several tests, fever of 105.3 and white blood cell count 1100 and septic. Had to keep her there for more tests, her symptoms did not improve and she was kept on an IV another day for more tests. She did not survive. With all the process of elimination tests there was no explanation why within 3 hours she went downhill so fast. No other health issues ever. I'm not saying it was Taste of the Wild but I'm surely suspicious and have to come to my own conclusion this is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Taste of the Wild response

Christine – We are so very sorry for your loss. As pet owners, we know what an uneasy and helpless feeling we have when we can’t heal our pets and are searching for answers. We are here for you and would like to talk with you and learn more from your veterinarian about your pet’s situation. Please call us at 800.342.4808 and our product specialist will put you in touch with our veterinarian.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Bought Taste of the Wild Wetlands from local merchant and my Shepherd loves it. Went and bought a 30 pound bag from Amazon and within 2 days my dog now has severe diarrhea. Seeing several other reviews of others having the same experience within the last week. I'm not sure if there was some change they made in the product, but I will not be purchasing again!!!

Taste of the Wild response

Pamela - I am sorry that your Shepherd is experiencing diarrhea. If the symptoms persist, it would be best to contact your veterinarian. There have not been any recent changes to the Wetlands recipe. Please contact us at 800.342.4808 so that we can investigate the situation for you. I hope that your dog is feeling better soon!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

My review of this product is based upon having many dogs for nearly 50 years. In general, our dogs have always been part of our family and have lived long, healthy, trouble-free lives. Over the years our selection of dog food has changed as we have learned more. That brings us to this review. We ended up with Taste of the Wild Pine Forest Canine Formula by researching ingredients and nutritional composition. One of our German Shepherds seemed to have an allergic reaction to the protein and/or grains in the foods we were using. We had used Science Diet, Iams and Eukanuba for decades with our dogs with absolutely no issues. This dog needed something different.

We were talked into Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison which worked great but is pretty expensive and had lower protein for what our dogs need. Our goal was to find a reasonably priced, high protein, grain free, venison based dry dog food... Taste of the Wild Pine Forest. Our input is that this dog food has the right ingredients, has the right nutritional composition, the company has no class action lawsuits against it, has no present product recalls and Taste of the Wild Pine Forest is working great for our dog(s). This company is super responsive to consumer concerns, questions and affairs. They respond quickly, thoroughly and honestly. There should be no hesitation in dealing with this company and their products.

Taste of the Wild response

Thank you for the positive review and details of your experience. Taste of the Wild believes every pet should have the best nutrition at an affordable price. We are happy to hear your dogs are doing well. As a family-owned business, we wouldn’t be able to deliver on our mission without a commitment to food quality and safety. Every batch of food goes through extensive testing prior to being released for sale. We wish you and your four-legged family members health and happiness in the new year!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Recent batch of TOTW Dog Food Pacific Stream made our husky sick. Our husky has been on TOTW for years now and has done well. However, the most recent batch we ordered from Amazon in November made our dog very sick within 48 hours of her switching to the new bag of food. She was vomiting and refused her food which never happens. She always eats her breakfast and dinner as soon as the food is in the bowl. Took her to the vet, no temperature or other symptom indicators besides the vomiting, malaise and not eating. After a few days of homemade chicken and rice, she seems to be back to normal, but it was very scary to see her so lethargic and not wanting to eat. There must have been a recent formula change or some sort of contamination in their batch of food, but we will not be buying this food again. Just for reference, we live in the UK, but we have fed her this food both when we lived in the US and the UK.

Taste of the Wild response

Josie - Sorry to hear your husky had a bad experience while eating the TOTW Pacific Stream. Sounds like things are getting back to normal with a bland diet, which is great news. We would like to learn more about your situation and your Amazon purchase. Thanks for letting us know you are in the UK. Please send an e-mail by visiting https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/#contact-us. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have been a buyer of the Wetlands and High Prairie Taste of Wild for the last 3 years. Recently my youngest and smallest dog started vomiting and has diarrhea. Now both of my other dogs a middle and larger dog have the same symptoms. By the time my largest dog got sick the smallest was doing better until I returned her to the TOWHP. After reading many other recent reviews I am taking my dogs off of this food and trying another. The dogs have not been so sick that they stop eating but the urge to defecate and the runny nature of their feces is enough for me to try something else besides homemade batches of cooked chicken and white rice which they are all on currently. Would like to know more from other users of this dog food.

Taste of the Wild response

Cindy - We’re sorry to hear what you went through. It sounds like you have already switched your pets to a bland diet, but we would like to learn more about your situation so that we can help you find a food that works better for your pets. Please contact us at 800.342.4808. Our foods are tested prior to being sold and we are confident in their quality and safety. Thank you for choosing Taste of the Wild in the past. We hope to earn your trust again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I have 5 dogs and 4 cats. For the past 7 years I have been feeding my dogs and cats Taste of the Wild dry food. On 4/17 I took my 13 year old Himalayan cat to the vet after he started to have very loose stools with a horrific odor, he also had trouble walking. After medication nothing improved and I thought it was because of his age. This Nov. my dogs started passing gas with the same horrific odor. Since I work in the animal industry I had customers mention to me about their dogs passing very foul smelling gas. When I asked what they were feeding their dogs they said Taste of the Wild! I switched my dogs and cats to Merrick dry and all the foul odor stopped and my old cat is back to normal.

Taste of the Wild response

Our pets are family members and we want what’s best for them, particularly when it comes to choosing their food. Even though you indicated you have switched their food, we would like to hear more about pets’ experience on Taste of the Wild. Give us a call at 1-800-342-4808. We would like to assure you that we have not had any issues with our formulas.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I read great reviews about Taste of the Wild and started feeding High Prairie to my dog about a week ago. Since then, she had become lethargic and about 10 minutes after eating the food, she started having seizure-like symptoms, as if something was poisoning her. We stopped giving it to her immediately and started feeding a different brand - no more symptoms and she seems healthy again. After reading the horrible reviews on here, I will take my dog to the vet to make sure she has not suffered any organ damage. I will also send in the food for testing, because something in it was poisoning her.

Taste of the Wild response

Marie - you are doing the right thing by taking your dog to the veterinarian. This sounds like a very unusual experience and we would like to work with you and your veterinarian to learn more. Please contact one of our Product Specialists at 800.342.4808. If you still have the packaging, the batch code and best before date are helpful for the investigation. Every batch of Taste of the Wild goes through extensive quality and safety testing prior to being released for sale.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

After using TOTW Prairie mix for 4 years, the most recent bag (purchased in December, 2017) has made my dog (a standard dachshund) ill, causing him to vomit and have runny stools. After taking him off the food and feeding him homemade rice and poultry he recovered almost immediately. There is something wrong with this food as there have been NUMEROUS complaints about the recent lots causing virtually identical symptoms in many other dogs.

Taste of the Wild response

Jane- We are sorry to hear that your Dachshund was not feeling well. As pet owners, we know what an uneasy feeling it is to have a sick pet. It sounds like your pet has recovered with a bland diet, which is good news. If the symptoms return, please contact your veterinarian. We would like to have the opportunity to speak with you and look into your experience. Please contact us at 800.342.4808. Our foods are tested extensively prior to being sold and we are confident in their quality and safety.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I started feeding my 5 1/2 month old lab TOTW Roasted Bison and Roasted Venison this past Monday. On day 4 he had severe diarrhea while in his crate about 7 hours after his dinner feeding. The next morning I let him out and he was starting to defecate. His energy level has been just fine. Again, same scenario the next night. Granted on Monday I switched him from Fromm puppy to the TOWT puppy food and did not do a gradual transition because we were out of the FROMM and I would think that if it were just the food brand change the diarrhea would have started much sooner. After reading all these reviews I am taking this food back to the place I purchased it. Not sure if I got a bad batch or if it just doesn't agree with him but this company should pull the food from the stores if so many dogs are getting sick and even dying. Shame on them!!!

Taste of the Wild response

Lisa - We’re sorry for the challenges your pet is having with the transition. Our records indicate you have not contacted customer service, and we would encourage you to contact us at 800.342.4808, so we can learn more about your Lab’s situation. When changing formulas, we do recommend gradually mixing the foods for 7-10 days to avoid upsetting your pet’s digestive system. We want to assure you that we have found no issues with our formulas, because we look into every case reported to us.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

We rescued a 9 year old German Shorthair Pointer 3 years ago. He was a scraggly 45 pounds with sores on his joints and chest from laying on concrete. We have fed him TOTW since March 2015 and you couldn't tell he is around 12 years old, he goes more than much younger dogs, and his sores have all healed up and are covered in a nice healthy coat. Since rescuing our old guy we have rescued two puppies and they are both growing up perfectly and are super energetic, playful, and have normal bowel movements. Our vet and anyone we meet always give us compliments on how healthy and happy our dogs are, this is because of the food they consume. Thank you TASTE OF THE WILD. Your product is awesome.

Taste of the Wild response

Thanks for the positive review, Chris! We’re glad to hear your fur babies are doing great on Taste of the Wild. It’s pet parents like you that remind us why we love having four-legged family members. Through good times and bad, we want to love them, care for them and bring them as much joy into their lives as they have given us.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I also have Experienced recently a huge difference in the quality of food from Taste of the Wild. I mean as far as my Rottweiler has been on their formula for 8 so months now. He is on the Bison Venison Yellow Adult bag. In the past I noticed sometimes he would vomit occasionally here and there and had diarrhea but for me that was normal. A big dog like this goes out in the yard and chews on anything. But the past few weeks he has been vomiting every other day and has had Diarrhea for the past 3 days. We Recently acquired a new puppy an English Mastiff which is a big breed as well. The Breeder had the pup on Blue Buffalo Formula and I switched him to Taste of the Wild Puppy chow Bison-Venison bag. After 2 days he is Constantly having diarrhea and today he just vomited twice so I put two and two together and came up with a solution that the food Definitely has something to do with it.

But here comes the best part. I called the company. Spoke to an representative. She advised me that there was nothing wrong with the food that it’s FDA approved. I asked to look at records of the FDA. I was like, "What about all the reviews that I’m reading on this site." They said that site is fake and those people are liars. She connected me with the vet. The vet said she can give me a number to the FDA for pet control. I told her I can get that myself if anything but can they share the Documents that the FDA had Supposedly done testing to random bags. She said she can’t share that info but I can call them. I mean wouldn’t that make sense to show someone that has a concern about the food, like here we have it approved from tests but instead she wants me to call the FDA myself which I will probably never get ahold of.

I told the vet, "Well this conversation is not getting anywhere," and she replied, "Likewise," and hung up on me. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. I will never buy this brand again and I hope that all the dog owners out there Get educated on this brand. Keep away from it. It was good in the past. I experienced slight differences within the months. I think the quality just went down. All the people on this site obviously have experienced something similar with this company and they have nothing to show for it. Let’s hope they go down. Down the drain is where they should be.

Taste of the Wild response

We are sorry to hear both your dogs aren’t doing well. We understand how frustrating this is for you. Gastrointestinal issues can arise for a variety of reasons. Based on how you describe your pets' situation, we recommend that you contact your veterinarian to discuss their symptoms. We want to assure you that we have found no underlying issues with our formulas. We investigate every possible issue identified by pet parents like yourself. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

We have purchased Taste of the Wild dog food for two years from Tractor Supply for our boxer. A bag purchase in November 2017 is apparently the culprit. Our dog became lethargic and lost his appetite. He had almost watery diarrhea and lost weight. We began chicken broth and shredded chicken and he improved. After three days we gave him a bowl of the food. After two days he became ill again. Diarrhea started again and loss of appetite. This dog food is the cause. Poor fella. We will nurse him back to health with broth but we are very concerned for other dogs. Some have reported death after their illness. This needs to be looked into. I have saved some of the dog food from the tainted bag to be tested.

Taste of the Wild expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free, and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.

• Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.

• Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.

• Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.

• Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.

• Best for: Healthy active dogs, puppies and dogs that need to eat healthy.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Taste of the Wild Company Information

2009
    www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use