3.10/5
Based on 394 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Taste of the Wild provides a wide variety of quality wet & dry food options for dogs & cats. Taste of the Wild understand the importance of feeding quality food to your pets, which is why we are committed to strict quality and safety standards. Contact us today or visit our website to find out more about our products and where you can find them!

Read More Read More
Last updated: April 20, 2018

513 Taste of the Wild Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

Both my dogs are very sensitive to foods and let just say we tried tons of different brands of dog food for them. Taste of the Wild by far beats them all. I have two large pups and they love this food. Once we started them on this there was no going back. No more upset stomach, biting at their paws, it’s the best! Highly highly recommend!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 20, 2018

A buddy of mine recommended Taste of the Wild and I used it for seven months. I’m the owner of a kennel and at the time, I used the puppy food and they were good. I handed out all the sample packs that were sent from TOTW. All of my dogs did pretty well. However, I only had the one flavor and one of our dogs ended up having a reaction to it so I had to switch over because of the fish. I was using the salmon and ended up switching to BLUE Wilderness for the convenience.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I used Taste of the Wild for about four years and I recently stopped using it about a year and a half ago. I have seen that there were some recalls and I knew that the company had changed hands, so I had stopped using it. The dog that I breed is French bulldog and I have a Great Dane as well. I fed full kibbles for the first few years and then I switched to raw about four years ago. I was feeding some kibbles too on some occasions so it was on and off. I had to be careful with the French bulldog because they can have allergies. I liked the lamb a lot and that was one of my favorites. I used the raw produce formulas on and off and they were mostly lamb. I used a lot of the puppy formula too. I sent puppies home with Taste of the Wild samples and I have quite a few people that they all do feed it.

Hello,
Sierra Mountain and Pacific Stream are good formulations for dogs with food allergies and hypersensitivities. I know there have been a lot of sales and acquisitions in the pet food industry but we have not changed whatsoever. TOTW has always been owned by Diamond. Also no recalls since 2012. There have actually been over 100 pet food recalls since our last one!

Dr Heldman@ Taste of the Wild

Original review: April 20, 2018

I've been using Taste of The Wild for my dogs for five years now. I tried it out and my dogs did really well so I kept using it. I used to have German Shepherds, but not anymore. Now I have Australian Shepherds and I have liters once or twice a year. I use the Taste of The Wild in the yellow bag. With it, I feel the dogs' coats are really soft. They also don't eat as much and they don't defecate a lot so it stays with them. I'm very happy.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have a lab that has had major issues with skin sensitivities and itching. I've tried a lot of different dog foods, soaps, and medicine but once I put her on TOTW she hasn't had any problems. She's so much happier now that she's not itchy and she loves the taste of it. I also got a new pit bull a few weeks ago and he loves the food as well. No problems!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: April 19, 2018

I've been using Taste of The Wild for more than eight years. It’s grain-free and the best quality for the cost. It's the only food that my dogs get although if they have their choice, they would rather have something else cereal-based. I usually get the food from Tractor Supply, Rural King. Now, I can get it at Pet Supplies Plus. They just started carrying Taste of The Wild there so it makes it easier to get.

Taste of The Wild has been easy to work with. I usually just send an email. When I had puppies I just told them that I needed sample packs of this or that. I had asked at our local store and they didn't have the sample packs. The Taste of The Wild that I use is rated high on Dog Food Advisor and it’s the cheapest one that I can get as far as quality food. My Yorkies don’t eat much Taste of The Wild. They’d come and eat a few bites here and there, every now and then. But my other dogs just scarf their food down really fast.

Original review: April 19, 2018

This is one of the few foods that our puppies would eat and now it is hard to get them to eat anything else. Top quality and from everything I can see a great nutritional food. Good food = happy puppies. Our pups have allergies and have never reacted to the Taste of the Wild food. The puppy food is ideal kibble size for the little ones. I would recommend this to anyone. The Bison is great. Cannot speak to the other varieties.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have been using Taste of the Wild for two years now and some of my dogs like it, while some don't, and some others are picky about it. The packaging is beautiful and it leads you to believe that everything in it is raw and wonderful, but I don’t know really what is in it. I am gonna keep a closer eye on it because I did read an article recently that Taste of The Wild only has 1 1/2 stars out of five, and I don't understand why. Another site had it as being 5 stars. Obviously, they have their marketing down. Also, I lowkey breed dogs and I send out samples but I have to call the company to get them to send me some.

Hi Beth,
Funny that you mention marketing. We actually do NO advertising-no glossy print ads, no TV commercials, nothing. Why? As a family owned business we believe in providing the highest quality food that the average person can afford. For other companies, $5 of the $50 bag of food is what the other companies are spending on advertising. When you call for samples please ask the Product Specialists whatever you like. We are happy to provide the sourcing of our ingredients

Dr Heldman @ Taste of the Wild

Original review: April 19, 2018

I’ve been using Taste of the Wild for two years for our Yorkshire Terriers and a German Shepherd. It’s grain-free and I appreciate that they send me samples. I also send samples whenever I send the puppies to their new homes, and I recommend people to continue feeding TOTW to the puppies. The dogs have been great on it and they’ve been on it ever since they were born. I start with Puppy and then go to Adult. I use the lamb and if they don’t have it, I go with beef. I also get whatever Taste of The Wild has at the store. The puppies do better with them and they don’t poop as much. Plus, their coat is really good. I love it all around.

Original review: April 18, 2018

My German Shepherd is thriving of TOTW bison recipe. He hasn't been ill once, his energy levels are amazing, and the best part is that TOTW has all the essential ingredients that keep my dog healthy. Now I have done a lot of research on best dog foods for my specific bread of dog and there are a few that he really like which was Victor, Blue Buffalo salmon, and Blue Wilderness but he seems to do best with the TOTW Bison recipe.

I recommend everyone do their research. I was reading and someone complained of price point. I told myself I will pay extra for the right dog food to keep my dog healthy, strong, and mentally sharp. In the end only your dog suffers because you wanted to save an extra buck, I hope that dollar was worth it. Anyways I also did research on each specific flavor and I have found that the bison recipe has the best fat to protein ration which lies around 57%. That is just amazing for a dog food to be that well balance and my German shepherd has never been healthier. I stand by TOTW bison recipe all day and would recommend to anyone who has a German Shepherd.

Original review: April 18, 2018

We have 6 adorable babies and one of them is diabetic. Smokey (the diabetic) will only eat Taste of the Wild Roasted Venison & Smoked Salmon. All of the babies love this food. They range in age from 10 years old to 1 year old. All of their coats shine. I highly recommend this cat food.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Growing up my pup was using the original Taste of the Wild food but he got tired of it and wouldn't eat it. We were sent a sample of the new taste of the wild trout food and he went crazy! He loves it and wanted to eat more of it!!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

We have tried many different foods but having a Boxer with a sensitive stomach can be tricky. We’ve had her and our Boston Terrier on Taste of the Wild for 5+ years and we’ve never had issues. Our vet raves about both of their coats looking amazing and never had a complaint about their weight! We did a lot of research before choosing Taste of the Wild and we’ve been really, really pleased with their products!

Original review: April 18, 2018

I saw Taste of the Wild up at the Tractor Supply and I’ve been using it since they first came out. My dogs like it and the Pomeranian puppies do good on it. Whenever I call in for puppy packs for my puppies, their reps treat me well. Taste of The Wild is good food and I recommend them all the time.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I absolutely love Taste of the Wild. I see it as very bold compared to some of the other dog foods. The hand-painted sketches on the packaging really draw you in and it's different from anybody else’s marketing on the food. It is very eye-catching, you can read the ingredients clearly right off the bat, and it's secure, too. When you open that bag, it smells fresh. I don’t like the paper bags with the paper like liners. It doesn’t seem to keep the food fresh.

I breed Bloodhounds and Pointers. I would have litters once a year roughly, and I would start feeding them Taste of the Wild because it's so easy for them to digest. I get very few runs from switching or even just starting a puppy on solid foods. When I have the puppies, I use the puppy formula and I'll keep the mom on it too while she's pregnant and nursing. I send the puppies to their new homes with Taste of the Wild samples. And if I don’t have an actual sample pack, I will at least send them home with what brand of food they're eating and tell them to get a bag and they usually do. One of the families locally still has the dog on the Taste of the Wild because they never had any issues and the food was readily available.

I recommend Taste of the Wild. I love it and I don't want issues with puppies having diarrhea because that comes back to me. I know food change is usually one of the first things that starts that. So, if you can keep them on something that they're doing well with, I always recommend that they stay on it. I also explain to people nutrition while I'm at it because a lot of people are completely clueless to feeding good food with less grain and less corn.

I have six dogs right now and they absolutely love Taste of the Wild. I use all the different flavors. I don’t stick to one single flavor with my dogs because they don’t get the runs when I switch it. I can go from one bag to the next with literally no switch of hand. I get no runny stool. They have never ever turned their nose up to it. Also, it's priced reasonably and we're getting just as good of a food as some more costly foods.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I like what Taste of the Wild does for my East German and Czech dogs and their coats. They have great energy and overall nice muscle tone. Everybody comments me on my dogs. Taste of the Wild is a really good dog food and I've been using it for years now. It's fine when you feed it to the dogs dry, but once you get the food wet, the dogs would start getting diarrhea. I've called Taste of the Wild about it and I've also spoken to one of the veterinarians that they gave me. They said they were gonna check into it, but I never heard anything back from them. Also, I get the list of what dog food are on recall and I have yet to see Taste of the Wild on that list.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have to see I love Taste of the Wild. It’s the only dog food that I’ve tried and my pup loved! He’s never eaten any other food as well as he has this one! It might be more pricey but it’s well worth the money for how well my pup eats it. He also doesn’t seem to be lacking anything in his diet like he does with other foods! Couldn’t be any more happy with this food choice. So glad a friend of mine recommended it to me!

Original review: April 17, 2018

Taste of the Wild sent me samples of their Pacific Stream Puppy formula upon my request when we adopted a puppy. Samples from some other brands made her sick, so we knew we had a sensitive pup on our hands. Our puppy not only tolerates Taste of the Wild, she loves it! She will not eat hard treats (we have to use chicken for training) but will respond if we use her Taste of the Wild kibble as a reward.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My Bedlington has a touchy stomach but he has no problems with Taste of the Wild dog food. I mix the Pacific Salmon with the Bison dry food and throw in a tablespoon of Taste of the Wild canned food just so my pet has a treat!! No intestinal problems at all. Love it. Thanks Taste of the Wild!!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I can’t say enough good things about this Dog food. I’m always getting compliments about how shiny my dog's coat is. And even in her later years she always seems so full of energy and excited, never shying away from a bowl of food. The bison blend is full of protein and she’s always looking healthy maintaining her weight. I will never buy any other Dog food.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Taste of the Wild Turkey Formula Cat Food - I have been searching for a new more healthy cat food for my fur babies for quite some time. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to get my sample that my babies took to it so fast. I really thought they would be hesitant but they really gobbled it up. It was easy on their stomachs too since I noticed none of the food made a reappearance soon after like it has before with other brands. Thanks so much! Will be buying!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been using Taste of the Wild for almost three years. I did not like any chicken meal or cornmeal or lamb meal in their food. I needed grain-free and that’s what I saw in them. I breed German shepherds and have litters a couple of times a year. I routinely send the puppies to their new homes with Taste of the Wild samples and absolutely recommend them to feed the puppies with it because of their content. I currently use High Prairie Venison and Bison Puppy Formula. I have dogs that are allergic to chicken, and by them setting up blends, there is no chicken meal or lamb meal.

There are just raw products and that’s what I like about it. With Taste of the Wild, their coats are awesome and they are built great. Some of my puppies even from my last litter are huge. I enjoy that they send out free samples and two boxes of them. I will be sending in from mine soon. I wish that they would send out some coupons because this is expensive as much as I feed it. And if a friend of mine asks me about it, I will tell them that I would feel bad if they are on a budget. But it’s the best food that is out there for the dogs besides Merrick.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I've been using Taste of the Wild for 10 years now and I love it. I breed English Bulldogs and it works really well with them. I like all of their varieties but I really like the Pacific Stream. Also, I do a rotation feed so the dogs don’t always stay on one protein. I have a couple of litters a year and I send the puppies to their new home with a TOTW sample every time. I also do a whole bunch of paperwork telling people the rules of owning one of my puppies. They have to feed the puppies grain-free four or five-star food. Then I tell them what I’ve been feeding the puppies and to continue it. So I encourage them to continue using Taste of the Wild.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I've been using Taste of The Wild for my 15 cats for three years. I have five female and two male Sphynxes, which are exotic hairless cats, for breeding. The other ones are just my pets and my daughter's pets. Our cats are hairless and they have high metabolism because they have no hair. And their bodies have to work harder. I've tried other brands, but Taste of The Wild is the only one that everybody can eat, and their green bag is absolutely the best. I have some cats that have had allergic reactions to the other ones. They broke out big bumps. I've tried Orijen because it's really high in protein but it's too rich for my cats. I've also tried Canin in the middle, but my cats would throw up because it's too strong.

Taste of The Wild's product uses ingredients that are higher quality. They use better ingredients and less of all the other stuff that causes allergic reactions to cats. They send me sample packages and I give it to customers with the kittens. Even my contract says that Taste of The Wild's green bag is highly recommended for my cats.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I breed Shih Tzus and I have one litter right now. I've been using Taste of the Wild since 2014, and all of the dogs love it. I routinely send the puppies to their new homes with TOTW samples and in my contract, I recommend them to continue feeding the puppies with it. I feed all of them puppy formula and we're using High Prairie Puppy Formula with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison. We empty it into a plastic container because we are built in the middle of a hayfield so I don’t leave bags loose. Taste of the Wild is doing a great job.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I have Yorkies and usually, I have litters four to six times a year. I've been using Taste of the Wild for about two years. I use the Small Breed formula and also the Puppy formula for the mommas because of the size of the kibble. I've got some tinies and a couple of my studs are three to four pounds. They have teeny tiny little mouths. I also have senior dogs that have fewer teeth and the kibble is small enough that they don't have to do a lot of chewing to swallow, so it's really good. My dogs have nice and shiny coats, bright eyes and they are energetic to a fault. I've also noticed that they have less stool and that's always a bonus. But I would like to see the Small Breed packaging go to a 40-pound if that was ever possible. I love TOTW and I've recommended it to several friends that are also breeders.

Original review: April 15, 2018

We've been feeding our dogs TOTW for 15 years now. We have English Bulldogs and they are very susceptible to allergies and TOTW seems to work the magic. The puppy formula has a smaller kibble, so it's easier for brachycephalic dogs like ours to adjust and not choke on it. The only thing that I wish they'd do is limit chicken because it's an allergen to some of our dogs. Even though their salmon varieties are salmon, there are still chicken products in it. Also, if they could remove potatoes, that'd be great.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I'm a breeder so I am always looking for the highest quality food I can find that my dogs like. I've been using Taste of the Wild for 10 years and with it, my dogs are thriving, their coats are shiny and they’re healthy. They’re active and interested in life. Taste of The Wild has been a great food for them. I breed Havanese and have a litter once a year. I use the Pacific Stream Puppy for my puppies and they’ve always done well on it. Moreover, they like it so I have never changed. I send customers samples with the puppies and tell them that the puppies are raised on it so just continue to use it. Every time I call Taste of The Wild for samples for my puppies’ buyers, they’re always happy to send the samples, which come right away. Moreover, their customer service has always been great. I'd recommend Taste of The Wild.

Original review: April 14, 2018

My dog is currently being treated with antibiotics for a bacterial infection that we believe she got from Taste of the Wild food. I switched thinking it would be better for them and within a week my dog had blood in her stool. I discontinued use of the food and she improved slightly but not enough. She's now being treated for a bacterial infection. The vet wouldn't say as much but hinted to her food. My dog is back on her regular food and should be fine soon with the help of her meds.

Taste of the Wild response
Sorry to hear she needed antibiotics-is it metronidazole? Dogs get dysbiosis, which is when the good and bad bacteria in the gut get out of balance. Wit the blood that's usually from colitis. A lot to sort out. Which formulation were you feeding and what did you feed before TOTW?

Dr Heldman @ Taste of the Wild

Original review: April 14, 2018

We breed Rottweilers and we got a couple of our adult dogs that seemed to have a more sensitive stomach. My husband researched a lot of Taste of the Wild's reviews and that the food is grain free. It helped the dogs overnight. They're healthy dogs but it also helps with their stools and they have less waste. We got all their samples for our puppies, and I also recommend their new owners to continue feeding them with Taste of the Wild and most of them do. My husband tried a couple of different kinds but our dogs seemed to like the high prairie formula best. We have been using Taste of the Wild for the last three years. We’re satisfied with it and we recommend it to everybody.

Taste of the Wild expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.

• Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.

• Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.

• Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.

• Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.

• Best for: Healthy active dogs, puppies and dogs that need to eat healthy.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Taste of the Wild Company Information