4.23/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Taste of the Wild provides a wide variety of quality wet & dry food options for dogs & cats. Taste of the Wild understand the importance of feeding quality food to your pets, which is why we are committed to strict quality and safety standards. Contact us today or visit our website to find out more about our products and where you can find them!

1163 Taste of the Wild Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My dog is an English Bulldog-Boxer mix. He is quite active but loves to sleep a lot. He has a super sensitive, chicken allergy, and is also allergic to some grains. His previous owner went through a bunch of different food trying to figure out what would work for him because he kept having a really bad reaction to a lot of them. She had him on Taste of The Wild and I've had him for about a year and three months now. He eats all of the TOTW food and it keeps him active. It is the best because it has a really good balance and has both fiber and protein. I switch back and forth between Pine Forest and the Pacific Stream because they were only two that don't have any poultry in it. I usually stay away from any kind of egg product because I know he's allergic to chicken. He likes being able to change between the two proteins which really helps in keeping him interested in it. I also like that TOTW has a program where you buy 10 bags and you get one bag half off which is cool.

I talked to one of my co-workers yesterday because her dogs have been having really bad reactions to a lot of the food. One of them continuously has hotspots and now, her other one is trying to lick the puss and chews at his feet. They've been trying to find food that won't have any kind of reaction with one of them because one of them gets really bad diarrhea on most food. She has also tried grain-free and poultry-free. I told her that finding food that doesn't have any kind of poultry is really hard, so I told her to try TOTW Pine Forest and the Pacific Stream because I looked at all the other bags and they usually have some form of poultry products. Hopefully, TOTW will work for her.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I've been using Taste of the Wild for at least 10 years. I have three large dogs and when I got them as puppies, I decided to raise them on a no grain diet. I got five different brands of dried dog food, put them out in a bowl and let them go to them. I did this for about a week and mixed the brands up and started eliminating. Taste of The Wild was their second pick. They continued to go back to their first pick and I put them on that. But I opened the bag one day and there was a live mouse in the bag. I taped it up and took it back to the feed store. Then I changed to Taste of the Wild and I've never switched.

I've tried all of Taste of the Wild's formulations but my dogs seem to like the Southwest Canyon with Wild Boar the most. My dogs have been the healthiest animals I've had and I know a lot of that is the food. They're 13 and they're all up around a 100 pounds and their life expectancy is seven to nine years. They've all been strong and very active. They haven't had any health issues up until last year. But other than that, their only time to the vet has been once a year to get shots. I just wish the dog food was cheaper because I spend a hundred bucks a month on it.

I have promoted Taste of the Wild to several people. I have a lady in Mexico that does an animal sanctuary in San Carlos. When she has somebody up in the States, she tries to get them to buy her a couple of bags to take down there. I also promote it with people that I know that have animals and I tell them that I use Taste of the Wild and that it is a grain-free food. Grain-free food seems to work a little better with dogs.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Taste of the Wild has been a big thing for me. I got my dog from Craigslist and he was on Ol’ Roy, which dogs love. But it's dog junk food and it's not good for dogs. So we tried for so long to switch our food. We would get really small bags of food from the store to try and wean him off of the Ol’ Roy, and everything was making him sick and was giving him skin allergies. He was miserable if he didn't have the Ol’ Roy. Finally, we got him on the Beneful. It still had recalls, and I was still really sketched about it but it was better than Ol’ Roy. He'd been on Beneful for six years. And then about a year ago, there was the Natural Pawz that opened next to my house. And I'm really big about pet stores, and so I went in there and they gave me a couple of Taste of the Wild samples and I let my dog try it.

My dog's really smart. I put the sample bags of food down and he picked the one he wanted. At first, he picked the salmon and he liked it and really enjoyed it. They didn't have any more of the tasting one for the duck. And then, after maybe a month, he stopped eating it again. And I know for some dogs, you have to leave the food there so they get used to it, but he wouldn't eat for six days. He would get a couple of bites of it and he would not eat. And he's miserable again. So I went back to the store and asked if they had the sample bags with the duck. He loves the duck. And I've also noticed that he's a lot more energetic. He's about to be eight, so he's starting to pop and lock when he gets up and he's been a lot better. His coat is a lot more healthy and shiny. It's really great that it's healthy for him.

I also just got a puppy five months ago and he was on Purina. And puppies are supposed to be kind of chunky and good on weight but with him on Purina, he's still really lanky. I also put him on the puppy formula on Taste of the Wild, and he has been putting on weight, which is really good too. Taste of the Wild is the way to go.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have two dogs, one Pomeranian and one blinded Dapple, and I've been feeding them Taste of the Wild for 10 years now. When the pom was having problems with scratching and allergies, a friend who has a dog with some problems suggested Taste of the Wild. I liked it since then and I kept using it. I go down to the local pet store and I pick up a bag and it lasts about two and a half weeks. I'd buy the bigger bag and that'll last for two and a half weeks but the dogs get a third of a cup in the morning as well as a third of a cup in the evening. I use either the roasted lamb or salmon variant. I get one of the other and I switch them so the dogs don't get bored but it seems like they still haven't got bored of it. It's been very consistent and they love it.

The dogs also seem to be doing really well, health-wise, on Taste of the Wild and I'm happy with it. My Dapple was 11 pounds when I got him and now he's 16 pounds. He has maintained around 15-16 pounds ever since I had him. I feed him and the pom twice a day. Also, the dogs don't go to the bathroom as much and they don’t seem to have as much waste. So, I've recommended Taste of the Wild to several friends. I've told them that if their dogs have allergies or if they're looking for a good quality dog food, they should give it a try. They'd really enjoy it.

Original review: July 11, 2018

We started using Taste of the Wild because the pet food that we were using before started making my little dog really sick, although he did really well for a long time with it. Ever since, somebody has told me to try TOTW and I've now been using it for five years, and my dog hasn’t had a problem since then with his stomach. I have four dogs but the one that started having a problem is three-quarters Pekingese and one-quarter Chihuahua. Aside from him, I also have two Pekingese and a 100-pound mutt. They all get Taste of the Wild. We use the Pacific Stream formulation because it has a lot of fish oils in it and that helps with the skin allergies of one of my dogs.

All my dogs are extremely healthy and part of this has to do with the fact that they’re eating a healthier diet now with all that grain. All but one of them are rescue dogs. One of the rescue dogs was overweight and she dropped weight when she came to me. Plus, she has been eating better because the people who had her before knew that she was eating nonstop, as if she couldn’t get full. I'd recommend Taste of the Wild and I’ve told other people about them. That was the first thing I told another person who took some puppies my dogs had. Also, if anybody tells me about their dogs being itchy or having stomach problems, that’s the first thing I recommend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: June 16, 2019

My mixed breed 12 pound 6 year old dog has been on Taste of The Wild Salmon and Potato most of her life! We give her a mix of wet and dry. All of a sudden two weeks ago she developed diarrhea and was throwing up. We took her to the vet, and could find no real reason for this condition. The vet gave us probiotics which we added to her food, and an antibiotic which we held off on because by the following day she was ok... Fast forward a week and she once again has the runs. I am always panicked about it being a problem with her food. I stay on top of all the recalls etc. Has anything changed in either the wet or dry that would now make her sensitive? I don’t want to keep giving her food that is making her sick!

Original review: June 12, 2019

Taste of the Wild is a quality dog food and I recommend it to friends. I've been using it for 10 years and my experience has been fine. It was recommended by a wholesale dog supply store where I go to get my dog's food. I have Golden Retrievers and Labs. And I have used the bison and most often, the salmon. We haven't had a problem, so I just kept using it. It's grain-free, has good ingredients, and is recommended by my vet, too.

Original review: June 12, 2019

We needed to change from our "very expensive" cat food due to unacceptable formulation changes that caused 3 cats to stop eating it. Taste Of The Wild was in the running and the company was kind enough to send me samples. What a hit with all 3 boys. I ran to our local pet store and bought a small bag of the Rocky Mountain flavor along with some cans of the wet food. The fussy cat actually pushed the other 2 out of the way to get at the bowls. It has only been a few weeks but this brand sure seems to be a winner. As many other folks have expressed--my boys have more energy and are excited about eating again! I just placed my order with Chewy for the large bag and some cases of the canned food. Thank you TOTW!! Please do not change anything -- you really do have a great product here!

Original review: June 11, 2019

Taste of the Wild is good food and my dogs like it. I chose it because it is grain-free and had been using it for three years. When I first started, I used the pacific salmon. My dogs liked it but then they liked the bison meat more.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I thought that Taste of the Wild was healthy for the animals so I started purchasing it. I've been using it for 3 years. I have 2 Boxers and they prefer the High Prairie with Bison. They really love it. If I feed them anything else, they don’t eat it.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Research said that Taste of the Wild had the most natural ingredients with the least amount of grain.I'm a dog owner and I've been using the brand for about five years now. I have two Rottweilers, one is about six years old and the other is about less than a year old. We use all the Taste of the Wild flavors that our store carries. There are about four or five flavors that I know of such as the duck and the salmon. Taste of the Wild has definitely helped with my dogs' coat and their overall energy. I like the product. My stepdad started using it too after I started using it. It has shown to be good.

Original review: June 8, 2019

People around me that I knew recommended Taste of the Wild. I've been using it for a few years and haven't had any problems with my dogs. I have a husky and a corgi. I had to take my corgi off Taste of the Wild because it was too many calories for him. He gains weight quickly and we had to watch their weight. But we still buy the food for the husky. She likes the one with the bison, the High Prairie Canine Recipe. It's the yellow one. My experience has been good. My husky is only about four years old now. She's been eating Taste of the Wild for about three years and her health has been amazing.

Original review: June 7, 2019

My dog has always been on Taste of the Wild. That’s what the breeder used. I've been using it for seven years.

Original review: June 5, 2019

My Yorkieshon was having major health issues black spots all over her belly that looked like mold, ear infections, biting her feet, etc. The doctor had tried her on different medications, ear drops, and foods over the course of a few years. Then ** for quite some time. It was costing us a fortune and we watched our little get worse.

I researched and found articles similar to her conditions and grain free foods, Taste of the Wild being one of them. I immediately researched TOTW with so many great reviews. I purchased some online and introduced it to my little girl and within a couple of weeks I began to see a BIG difference. I was able to take her of the **. Within a month she was reborn. The black spots on her belly were completely gone, her ears cleared up, she played more, etc.

It has been about two years and she is doing awesome. She will be eight years old in just a couple days and has loads of energy and clear skin. She just had her yearly checkup and is in A-1 condition. The Vet was surprised her teeth were in excellent condition for her age. I'm so thankful I found TOTW. I don't think she would be with us now if I hadn't.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Taste of the Wild was what the veterinarian recommended. I feed it to my German Shepherd and I use the Trout formula because my pet doesn’t like chicken. Taste of the Wild is a healthier option with less by-products in it. And it’s more of a natural food form. I’d tell a friend that I like it, and I’d recommend it to him if he had a dog.

Original review: June 4, 2019

We started choosing Taste of the Wild because it was grain-free. We've been using it for at least 5 years now and it made our dogs’ coats really shiny. But after about a year ago, the coats stopped being shiny, so I don’t know what happened there. The formula changed or whatnot. But we still like the grain-free option. We like it better than the other options.

We have eight Salukis, a standard Dachshund, and a Terrier. They range from 12 years to 9 months. They like just about everything but they don’t particularly care for the salmon so we usually use the red bag, the bison, the venison and the boar. We wish that Taste of the Wild had a little bit less starch in it and also more protein. But other than that, we’re good.

Original review: June 3, 2019

We didn’t have our Basset Hound mix long when we first got her, but she had a lot of health issues. Taste of the Wild was recommended for allergies and we've been using it for over a year now. She's had a very good coat and she's maintaining her weight. She's not having as many allergy issues. Taste of the Wild has been working for us. It reduced the allergens. We also get a free bag after so many bags so that’s another reason why we chose to go with that route.

Original review: June 2, 2019

My veterinarian recommended Taste of the Wild and it was the first time I used it for my cat. He likes it and he seems to be healthy so I keep giving it to him. I have tried a different type of flavor, but he seems to like Taste of the Wild the best. If someone asked, I'd tell them they ought to try Taste of the Wild.

Original review: June 1, 2019

My pets have been on Taste of the Wild for a few years now. We don't like the cheap stuff with fillers that we get from the supermarket so this one got recommended by the vet. Every once in a while, I rotate choices and it's a bit hit-and-miss. There is one or two in the rotation that they don't like as much as the others. I have to wait until they're really hungry and then they don't have much choice. Other than that, my dogs all look good and incredibly healthy.

Original review: May 31, 2019

My dogs eat mostly raw diet that I make and we give them some of the Taste of the Wild's kibble for texture. The ingredients are clean and everything fits my profile of what I feed my dogs. They eat a third raw beef, a third raw veggies and some oatmeal or grain for the regular diet. I tried the salmon and my dogs seemed more interested in that than the other.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I bought Taste of the Wild for the first time at my local hardware store. I checked the ingredients and was satisfied with the ingredients as opposed to about every other food. The only thing is I wasn't sure about all of the different flavors, so I was trying to figure out which one of the flavors suited my dogs the best. And I noticed that whenever I would change flavors from bag to bag, there's a little bit of itching in my dogs. But otherwise, I am extremely satisfied with the company and how the dogs like the food and that it's healthy for them. It's one of the few that they like and it's good for them.

There are five flavors that my local hardware sells, so I was trying to figure out which one my dogs like the best. When I did that, I couldn't figure out why they were itching. And then, when I did a little more digging, because I know when you switch from food to food, that sometimes allergy arose, but I never thought of flavor to flavor in the same food. And I can't nail down that that was the exact reason. It could've been environmental factor. Other than that, I like the packaging. I like the product. I'm very happy that we are part of a program where once we buy 10 bags, we get a bag for free. I like that.

Original review: May 29, 2019

The lady at the pet store recommended Taste of the Wild for my blue heeler, which is over a year old. I rotate it with some flavors and he eats some flavors more than others. I recommend Taste of the Wild.

Original review: May 28, 2019

My dog had many stomach issues and allergies bad enough he started getting bald spots. After trying several other foods that were also grain free and more expensive his picky taste or issues kept happening. My sister suggested TOTW and I'm so glad she did he loves the wetlands recipe and has a beautiful shiny coat and no stomach issues. I can't recommend this brand enough.

Taste of the Wild response

That's great! Thanks for letting us know

Original review: May 28, 2019

The dog food that is bought in the stores has too much grain in it and I don't like it. I did some research, spoke to a lot of people, particularly my granddaughter who is raising German Shepherds and horses and she told me that Taste of the Wild was a good bet. We purchase dog food that we supplement the Taste of the Wild with and it's a dog food that's made with all natural ingredients including vegetables. We also rotate the varieties. We like the salmon and the bison. There's also one Taste of the Wild boar which my German Shepherd likes. Now, he looks good and he doesn't shed a lot. He has plenty of energy and he has no issues.

But this year, my granddaughter told me that she was moving her dogs off of Taste of the Wild because of the nutritional content. I and my friends are looking into gathering information and we may gather the wrong ones so Taste of the Wild might want to put the information out there and tell us where their raw materials are coming from. Still, I'm happy with Taste of the Wild.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 25, 2019

I gave my dog TOTW recommended at Petco. I fed it to him last night mixed with his regular food. Figured he’d like it because he inhales any type of food. Feed him and in 2 mins he’s done. Anyways gave it to him mixed with his regular food and for first time ever he had blood in his stools. Going back to his regular food which he never had blood in his stools before.

Taste of the Wild response

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Sounds like a case of colitis. Colitis means inflammation of the colon. The colon is the very last portion of gastrointestinal tract before a dog poos. If the colon becomes inflamed for any reason, it may bleed causing bright red blood in the stools. Dogs often develop colitis due to stress from a change in environment or diet. If I understand you correctly it was after one meal of the old and new food mixed. If in the future you would like to change foods, it would probably work better to only put 1/4 new to 3/4 old so that it's a slower trnasistion

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 24, 2019

I have a 6 year Weimaraner who has been on this food for over 4 years, and just lost an almost 3 year old Doberman that had been on this her entire life. She very suddenly started to vomit one night and was gone 36 hours later. After paying a lot of $$$ for autopsy and blood tests, the conclusion was dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM). Yes large breeds are more prone to this, but that isn't commonly seen until after age 6. My doberman was 2 years 11 months and her life ended way too early. I didn't think it was her food until I started seeing more and more reviews about dogs having heart problems and sudden death who are on grain free diets.

I'm quickly moving my Weim off of grain free this week to try and avoid the same tragic death my Dobe went through. I'll never know for sure if it was Taste of the Wild, the Pacific Stream protein from TotW, or grain free in general, but I would advice others with large breeds to stay away from grain-free unless they have severe allergies and it's recommended from the vet. Grain free has been the latest trend the past several years and has popped up in a lot of boutique brands of dog food like Blue Buffalo and TotW, and there's also been a correlation of higher DCM related deaths.

The AKC just came out with some research articles about a possible link between some ingredients that are common in grain free food like lentils and DCM. I'll forever have the guilt on my shoulders now of choosing the wrong dog food when I walked into the pet store with my puppy doberman 3 years ago and choosing a grain free diet just because that was the hot item at the moment. I'd encourage Taste of the Wild to do further research and finding the link here between grain free and these sudden deaths, but know they won't or wouldn't release info they found proving this as it would open up a line of lawsuits a mile long and would tank the company.

Taste of the Wild response

So sorry for your loss. The cumulative prevalence of Doberman cardiomyopathy is 58.2%, meaning over 50% of Dobermans develop congestive heart failure during their life. DCM prevalence in various age groups is: age group 1 (1 to <2 years) 3.3%, age group 2 (2 to <4 years) 9.9%, age group 3 (4 to <6 years) 12.5%, age group 4 (6 to <8 years) 43.6%, and age group 5 (>8 years) 44.1%. As far as grain free diets and DCM, while we are not conducting research in house, we are supportive of the scientists who are doing it. We feel that the industry needs to come together to support the scientists in different research universities and laboratories across the country to find a cause. Diamond, as a member of the Pet Food Institute, is participating in funding a committee of industry scientists working on this issue. Additionally, our veterinary and nutrition teams are offering to collaborate with researchers to provide any additional information they may need to conduct their studies.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 23, 2019

My mixed breed, 4 years old, was diagnosed on 5/14 with dilated cardiomyopathy and right ventricular congestive heart failure. He started heart medications and taurine supplementation. On 5/22, he passed away from a fatal arrhythmia at the cardiologists office not even 30 seconds before being seen. He died in my husband’s arms.

He developed DCM because of his grain-free diet. We had been feeding him grain-free his whole life, Taste of the Wild for the last 3.5 years. I urge anyone reading these reviews to do research on grain-free and these “limited ingredient” diets. The research is new, but shows links of some cases with more than one dog in a household feeding grain-free and developing DCM.

Once Taste of the Wild puts actual research and independent backing into their recipes and nutrition profiles with more than just 6-week studies, I’ll listen to what they have to say. They have a huge responsibility, beyond marketing, to ethically test their food. They haven’t upheld that and they don’t take it seriously. This joke of a dog food company is responsible for the deaths of many dogs and sadly many more to come if word doesn’t get out about this.

Taste of the Wild response
How horrible. We are so sad to hear of his passing.

All types of foods (grain-free, with grain, raw, BEG) are still being researched and monitored because the cases of DCM reported to the FDA include diets of all types. No science-based research to date, has uncovered a causative link to any type of diet. This is why the FDA has not listed any specific pet diets, food ingredients or manufacturers as a cause of DCM. We encourage you and others to contact us (800.342.4808) with any questions and share any information with us that makes you concerned. As we’ve done in the past, we will continue to use a science-based approach to base our decisions regarding the various recipes we use. I don't know where you found it saying we use 6 week feeding trials. Like a lot on the internet, this is blatantly untrue. When we do feeding trials it is the standard 6 months long, like the other pet food manufacturers use. We also test the food and have a great food safety program in place

Original review: May 22, 2019

I’ve been feeding my dogs Taste of the Wild brand food for 10 years now. I have always heard and read great things about it and my dogs always seem to enjoy their food. I lost my black lab to cancer three years ago and I just read there is a lawsuit against the company for extremely high lead amounts in this food. High enough to cause cancer over long periods of use. I have to wonder if my lab’s cancer was caused by this food? And are my other dogs at risk. And now that there is a lawsuit what is Taste of the Wild doing about this issue?

Taste of the Wild response

Thanks so much for reaching out. I'm glad we were able to alleviate your concerns. As always, anyone wanting to speak to us directly, please call us.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Taste of the Wild is following an all so familiar path of reducing what you get and masking it. Then will sneak the price back up. 2 pounds less, why? So they can stay under the $50 price point. I don't like and am changing brands due to this stupid marketing trickery. How can I trust their ingredients if they try and trick you by reducing quantity and temporarily reduce the price. I can't wait to hear their response... we're not going to jack the price up... We just want to give you less and charge you less. That's what people want. Bull!

Taste of the Wild response

We made the bags smaller because our cost of goods, especially the meats, have increased over time. Our choice was make the bag smaller, 28# instead of 30# or increase the price. We opted to make the bag smaller. We do not set the price for our products, the retailers do. I'm sorry that happened to you, you may wish to talk to the store where you bought it.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Our dogs loved it!! I don’t really know what they think but from what I can tell they want more haha! There’s really good ingredients in them too which me and the dogs both love! A lot of food messes up their stomach but this one didn’t, which I was worried about at first. Splendid brand!

Taste of the Wild expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.

• Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.

• Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.

• Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.

• Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Taste of the Wild Company Information