2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.37/5

Taste of the Wild provides a wide variety of quality wet & dry food options for dogs & cats. Taste of the Wild understand the importance of feeding quality food to your pets, which is why we are committed to strict quality and safety standards. Contact us today or visit our website to find out more about our products and where you can find them!

Taste of the Wild Reviews

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I started using Taste of the Wild in 2006. At the time, I had adopted a pit bull and he had wildly sensitive skin and hot spots. He was a year and a half old when I got him and he had a lot of sores through to his tail. I quickly started experimenting with different kinds of foods for him and I did some of the Pure Vita salmon for a little bit. But that was a little bit harder to find and only one place had it. I found that Taste of the Wild worked really well for him and it was a little bit more readily available. He stayed on Taste of the Wild his whole life then eventually, my cats had it as well. I prefer it for the dog that we have right now as well just because it fills him up better. He’s more content. It feels like a healthier alternative. Taste of the Wild is just a better food for my pets. I live in the Midwest now and around my house, there are not many good dog food. I like to drive to a good dog store and get a big bag from our local place.

But my dog developed an enlarged heart issue. There is a high fat and a high sodium content in the Taste of the Wild. It's higher than maybe other alternatives that may be recommend for a dog that is going into heart failure. I tried something new but my dog wasn’t happy with it so I just went back to Taste of the Wild. He only had a year left and I wanted him to be comfortable. I'd like to request that there be a heart-healthy Taste of the Wild in the market because I know that bigger dogs tend to have that issue.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Taste of the Wild is my dogs' favorite food. I've been using it for about eight years now. It's grain-free, and that obviously made a huge difference in their diet. The amount of food that you feed them is less compared to everybody else. Their feces is a lot harder than the other ones, which means they’re absorbing all the nutrients they can, and that's great. I had show dogs and their coat was better too. About two months after I switched them over to TOTW, I started getting best in show with them. They definitely love the original, yellow bag, the Buffalo, whereas my Pug loves the lamb. We tried all the different flavors, and he doesn’t like the Mountain one very much, but he’s all over the lamb. I feed him the daily dose but I cut it in half. So, I feed him in the morning about 10 minutes before we leave in the morning for work, and then about 50 minutes after we come home, then we’ll feed him his second half of his full dose.

Whenever we pick up the food, people always ask if it is really worth the price. I tell them my story, and they get the food too. Then the next time I see them, they tell me that I was right and TOTW is totally an amazing food. At work, if people are having issues with their dogs, I always tell them about the food. And then, they try it and their food issues go away.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I've been using Taste of the Wild for 17 months now. I have two dogs and they’re both on it. When I was first introduced to Taste of the Wild, that was when I have my first dog, my first Cane Corso. And with Cane Corsos, they need a certain percentage of raw meat, liver, bones or organs itself, and Taste of the Wild gave me a step above the normal dog food. I went with this brand because of the raw meat that’s actually mixed in with the food. To have my Cane Corso on a complete raw diet is pretty expensive. So, Taste of the Wild gave me the experience of having the mixture of the chicken with the actual raw food as well. So, I give my dogs a healthier diet.

I use the Absolute Taste of the Wild and I use Diamond as well. That with Diamond, I use a large breed because I have another dog I've just added to the family, which is an American Bully, and she's only 13 weeks. So, I wanted a dog food that my dogs could both eat. Some other dogs can't eat adult dog food, but adult dog can eat puppy food because of the nutrients and protein in it. My dogs pretty much liked the dog food from the start. The only thing is that it altered their bowels for a moment, but everything was pretty normal.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I want to say that the FDA is the same agency that has recommended Americans to eat more grains than protein and vegetables. Since this change we are fatter and more unhealthier than ever. So I don’t buy into this FDA report about grain-free dog food being a problem. It is the lobbyists and agency that is the problem here. Don’t you think that they would want to point our pets in the same direction if it meant the corn and wheat industries and their lobbyists would provide the right benefit $ to the agency in some form? Wake up People! Is your dog healthy? Mine is he has been eating TOTW HP and PS for 3 years and the puppy version before that. He has no health issues, his coat looks amazing, his eyes are bright and his nails grow the way they should. He is a show dog quality Belgian Malinois.

I chose this food because it was the best value for the best ingredients that I felt would benefit him. His diet is supplemented with all kinds of treats and meats - he is not a grain-free dog, but he is healthy and I trust a company that cares about making quality dog food over the agency that has been the primary reason for the decline of Americans' health. Just pointing out the obvious. So I hope that anyone that is using or considering TOTW looks at their own dog’s health instead of worry about a report from an untrustworthy government agency. With that said if they are having problems by all means work with your vet to find a solution. I am not a rep of TOTW and am not paid to be a voice of reason.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I bought Taste of the Wild for the first time at my local hardware store. I checked the ingredients and was satisfied with the ingredients as opposed to about every other food. The only thing is I wasn't sure about all of the different flavors, so I was trying to figure out which one of the flavors suited my dogs the best. And I noticed that whenever I would change flavors from bag to bag, there's a little bit of itching in my dogs. But otherwise, I am extremely satisfied with the company and how the dogs like the food and that it's healthy for them. It's one of the few that they like and it's good for them.

There are five flavors that my local hardware sells, so I was trying to figure out which one my dogs like the best. When I did that, I couldn't figure out why they were itching. And then, when I did a little more digging, because I know when you switch from food to food, that sometimes allergy arose, but I never thought of flavor to flavor in the same food. And I can't nail down that that was the exact reason. It could've been environmental factor. Other than that, I like the packaging. I like the product. I'm very happy that we are part of a program where once we buy 10 bags, we get a bag for free. I like that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: March 27, 2020

We rescue dogs. I have an Aussie shepherd lab mix, one lab and one husky. Chewy was always out of what I needed so I got into this little local pet store, talked to the owners, decided to give Taste of the Wild a shot and we've buying from them since. We use PREY - specifically the Angus. My dogs got a shinier coat. I've had to drop their food back just a little bit. But other than that, they're doing pretty good with it and it seems to be something they like to eat so we'll keep it at that.

Original review: March 20, 2020

One of my dogs is allergic to everything and Taste of the Wild doesn’t have a lot of junk in the stuff. Leo, a Boxer, is 12 years old, 60 pounds. Bella, a Pitbull Boxer mix, is seven years old. And the one that’s allergic to everything, a Pitbull Mastiff mix, is five. I use the the bison and venison with all of them. Their coat is nice and shiny, they're energetic, and the allergic one doesn’t break out in rashes anymore.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Having read reviews, I bought 4 different varieties of Taste of the Wild - two puppy varieties for a GSD of 10 weeks and two varieties for adult dogs - a Tibetan spaniel and a poodle. None of them would eat it. Obviously doesn't taste as good as the hype of it tasting great. Would not recommend or buy again. Waste of $120. All three are thoroughly enjoying Ivory Coat and Dtayloyal dry food.

Original review: March 18, 2020

My dog is a Labradoodle and he’ll eat anything. We just get all different brands and mix them together. I usually go through the store and I try to find ones grain-free. I also look at the first five ingredients and then whatever is on sale. Out of what I perceive as healthier choices, Taste of the Wild is not one of the most expensive ones. I've been using Taste of the Wild for him for two years.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I have been giving Taste of the Wild to my pet since we had him as a puppy. It was something that was researched over 10 years ago by my wife. We’re into a grain-free diet for the dog and I just continued it. It was also cheaper. I give them a new flavor every month. One thing I notice is my dog has a nice coat since having Taste of the Wild. But I’ve heard some bad things recently, but I don’t wanna switch him ‘cause he’s been doing fine.

Taste of the Wild expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.

• Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.

• Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.

• Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.

• Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Taste of the Wild Company Information