2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.39/5

Taste of the Wild is a pet food company that uses premium ingredients and no additives. The company offers a wide variety of pet food flavors and has specific formulas for pets in different life stages or with dietary restrictions.

BOTTOM LINE

Taste of the Wild offers premium dog food at an affordable price. While it’s still more expensive than some other brands, its natural ingredients and quality assurance make it stand out.

PROS

• No additives
  • Variety of flavors
  • Premium ingredients
  • Quality assurance

CONS

• Not widely available
  • More expensive

Top Taste of the Wild Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Our dog Baxter has severe food allergies. It took us a while to find a good dog food that he could actually eat! Baxter loves Taste of the Wild… Thank you Taste of the Wild for keeping our boy healthy and happy!

I have a 11.5 year-old female Standard Poodle. ... I was delighted when I saw the limited, non-GMO ingredients on Prey Turkey formula and decided to try her on it 2 years ago. Much to my amazement, she ate it quickly and felt good on it....

Taste of the Wild Shop on Chewy

Taste of the Wild dog food

What is Taste of the Wild dog food?

Taste of the Wild dog food offers high-quality meals based on each pet’s natural diet. All formulas are made with real meat, including wild boar, smoked salmon, roasted duck and venison, to create a tastier and heartier bowl of food for puppies and dogs. In addition to natural ingredients, formulas include probiotics and are free of all artificial colors, preservatives and flavors.

For a more simpler, Taste of the Wild also offers a PREY formula that has minimal ingredients. Other pet food product lines include:

• Taste of the Wild puppy food
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - dry
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - wet
  • Grain-free
  • Senior formula
  • Pregnant or nursing blend

How does Taste of the Wild work?

Taste of the Wild dog food is designed to give pets a better food option inspired by the protein sources animals are meant to eat, meaning ones they ate when they were wild. The goal is to provide the vitality that nature intended.

Taste of the Wild sources all ingredients from high-quality vendors that share the same purpose and mission to provide ingredients without fillers, preservatives or artificial flavors. All meats are USDA-inspected and -approved and certified antibiotic free.

Customers can choose from a wide variety of flavors, formulas and types of pet food with Taste of the Wild. Because the benefits are similar across the formulas, most people choose based on which meat product their pet prefers.

Taste of the Wild prices

Taste of the Wild is sold by online retailers and in stores, but not through the company's website. Because of this, prices may vary between stores. In general, Taste of the Wild dog food costs around $13.99 for a five-pound bag and $48.99 for a 28-pound bag. Prices don’t differ between meats or flavors, just by size of the bag. Wet dog food costs about $2.30 per 13.2-ounce can. Some vendors, including Chewy and Petco, provide discounts for customers who subscribe for repeat deliveries.

Taste of the Wild FAQ

Is Taste of the Wild grain free?
The original Taste of the Wild and Taste of the Wild PREY formulas are grain free. The Ancient Grains line includes grains.
Who owns Taste of the Wild?
Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond Pet Foods, which is owned by Schell and Kampeter Inc., a pet food manufacturer with plants across the United States.
Is Taste of the Wild AAFCO approved?
Yes, Taste of the Wild foods are AAFCO approved.
How much is Taste of the Wild dog food?
Taste of the Wild costs about $49 for the biggest available size, which is a 28-pound bag.

Is Taste of the Wild good dog food?

For customers who want a more natural food for their pets, Taste of the Wild is a great option. Its flavors and formulas are designed to mimic the ingredients and nutrients animals would receive in the wild. Prices are fairly comparable to other brands but still a bit more expensive than lower-tier dog food. With the company's strict control system and close relationship with suppliers, Taste of the Wild works hard to ensure its customers receive high-quality dog food.

Taste of the Wild Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: June 24, 2020

We have been buying dog food from this place called DogSupplies.com. They have a warehouse in Huntersville, North Carolina and we've been dealing with them for 10 years. They recommended Taste of the Wild to us and we've been using it for less eight years now. So far, our dog is very healthy. He's got a little bit of hip dysplasia, but he's about 12 years old. I got him as a rescue when he was about two and he's like a puppy sometimes. He likes the different flavors. They used to tell you that if you're gonna change the food, you should give them half of the serving of the old food and half of the new, but we just go from the different flavors and he's fine. As long as it's food, he doesn't care.

I like that Taste of the Wild has a variety and he seems to like them all. He grew up on dry foods and the kibble is great. But it's got a higher protein in it than the other foods that we have been giving him. When we first started giving it to him, he was getting a cup twice a day and he put on about 8 or 10 pounds. The vet said that was a little bit too much, so our dog broke off a little from the protein. The vet said cut him back to a half a cup twice a day and that's what he gets.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I started using Taste of the Wild in 2006. At the time, I had adopted a pit bull and he had wildly sensitive skin and hot spots. He was a year and a half old when I got him and he had a lot of sores through to his tail. I quickly started experimenting with different kinds of foods for him and I did some of the Pure Vita salmon for a little bit. But that was a little bit harder to find and only one place had it. I found that Taste of the Wild worked really well for him and it was a little bit more readily available. He stayed on Taste of the Wild his whole life then eventually, my cats had it as well. I prefer it for the dog that we have right now as well just because it fills him up better. He’s more content. It feels like a healthier alternative. Taste of the Wild is just a better food for my pets. I live in the Midwest now and around my house, there are not many good dog food. I like to drive to a good dog store and get a big bag from our local place.

But my dog developed an enlarged heart issue. There is a high fat and a high sodium content in the Taste of the Wild. It's higher than maybe other alternatives that may be recommend for a dog that is going into heart failure. I tried something new but my dog wasn’t happy with it so I just went back to Taste of the Wild. He only had a year left and I wanted him to be comfortable. I'd like to request that there be a heart-healthy Taste of the Wild in the market because I know that bigger dogs tend to have that issue.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I have tried many of the "best" dog foods on the market, recommended by trainers, breeders and vets. I was even an authorized distributor for a very well known brand. There were many trips to several veterinarians regarding the yeast infection in my German Shepherds ears, I was convinced this yeast issue was caused by a food allergy, even though several vets disagreed. I finally found a new brand, The Taste of the Wild, free of the grain I was sure was causing the problem with yeast. This was 12 years ago, the GSD with the yeast issue cleared up within a week of changing, never refused another dish of food and was able to live YEAST FREE.

I only wish I could have had this sooner so her early life would have been pain free! Now it is the only food my dogs eat. They are active, healthy, have glossy soft coats, clear eyes....and NOT a sign of a yeast infection anywhere! I alternate High Prairie with Pacific Stream and now I am adding Ancient Grains to the rotation. German Shepherds can be finicky eaters and are known for sensitive stomachs. Mine have never had a problem with their appetite or digestive issues at all. I highly recommend The Taste of the Wild and the new line of Ancient Grains. I will continue to feed The Taste of the Wild and Ancient Grains as long as it's available!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

We love Taste of the Wild. We’ve been using it since our dog was a puppy. I wanted something that was grain-free, and Taste of the Wild was recommended to me by the person at the store. And it’s my first dog, and so, I didn’t know what I was doing. I rescued him from Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I wish Taste of the Wild was more available like we could go to a store and get it. It isn’t something you can find everywhere. And now that The Pet Clubs have all been closing, we’re having to order it online. PetSmart and those other big chains don’t carry it. Although, Pet Club went out of business, we were able to get a few bags at a pretty good price.

Taste of the Wild is our go-to. The only downside is this cost. We’re not thrilled about spending as much as we do on dog food. But I feel like to get this level of quality, it’s kind of in the $50 range. Once you dip below that, you’re getting all the rice food, which are all the fillers. But then, I recently read an article that grain-free might not even be the best food. Still, we’ve been thinking about Taste of the Wild and we’ve been happy with it. Our dog’s happy with it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

With Taste of the Wild, my dog has a good looking coat. During hunting seasons, I add a little bit of the wet food to it, which she really loves. Recently, she had a stick shoved up her nose, sneezed really hard and broke several teeth. She's gonna be on a little bit more wet from here on out to make it easier on her to chew. When she had her teeth removed, the vet asked if my dog was on a grain-free diet. I didn't get to talk with her too much about it, but she said that dogs needed grain.

I have a nine-year-old black Lab retriever. She's about 59 pounds. She's a working dog so I try to stay very consistent with what she's intaking. I look for the quality and the ingredients and everything has shown that Taste of the Wild has a consistent recipe. Consistency is also very important to me because I buy bags of dog food if the dog wanted to eat. A lot of different dog foods seem to change their recipe. Every once in awhile, they'll change it for a bit then they'll change it back. Eukanuba and Pro Plan have done the same thing. I used to be a Pro Plan guy 20 years ago but now, I'm done with them. Now, I'm into Taste of the Wild and have been for quite some time.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

We were breeders of Bulldogs, so we used Taste of the Wild for a long time, probably 10 plus years. They had the best puppy food that we could use to grind up and soak. It would soak it up really well and it ground up really well. Our experience had been really good. Bulldogs have really sensitive stomachs and skin issues. But we never had any of that with Taste of the Wild. They didn't have the allergy issues that we had with some of the dog food. We used their puppy formula pretty much all year round ‘cause we had puppy litters every year. Then, we had the salmon formula and then a meat one with the bison. Those ones were good. We’d go with this bison for five months and then we’d switch it to the salmon. When they got the salmon, they would go nuts because it was different. Then when we brought the bison back, it would be the same thing.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I used to be a Poodle breeder. I advised a client to buy Taste of the Wild with Ancient Grains. Dogs need to be on a totally grain-free diet as it has been demonstrated that humans are giving them heart attacks. In the wild though, dogs don't totally eat grain-free. So, I always make sure that there's grain in dog food that I recommend to my clients. Taste of the Wild is good quality dog food for its price point. However, the package disappoints me. They currently say that they use globally sourced ingredients from trusted partners. They didn't use to buy ingredients from out of the country. That gives me pause to not recommend their food is because it's not sourced in the United States.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

My dog is kind of sensitive. I have a Weimaraner. I had been buying through a big box store. I'm paying a membership just to buy our dog food in my local food store. I cross-referenced ingredients and Taste of the Wild was able to give me a food with the same ingredients. She was considered a puppy. So, we transitioned from puppy to adult with Taste of the Wild. The one we use is grain-free. I've been using it for two years and she definitely enjoys the food. We also rotate the flavors every time we buy a bag. There’s definitely quite a lot of flavors, which is a plus. You hardly see that in dog food. You see it more in cat food, which I know that Taste of the Wild also has ‘cause we've tried the cat food as well.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

My daughter has two big dogs and a African-Somali cat. She swears by Taste of the Wild and based on that, I started using it. My cats like it and so do I. I would get it from Sierra Fish & Pets and they've always got the flavors that my cats like. I don't have any problems, except for I got a geriatric cat now and I gotta mix a little bit stock food with it.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I have two dogs and they're healthier with Taste of the Wild.

Taste of the Wild Company Information