Shop Now

3. Dog Food

4.5/5 (52 ratings)
Shop Now  on Chewy

About Taste of the Wild

Taste of the Wild is a pet food company that uses premium ingredients and no additives. The company offers a wide variety of pet food flavors and has specific formulas for pets in different life stages or with dietary restrictions.

Pros

• No additives
  • Variety of flavors
  • Premium ingredients
  • Quality assurance

Cons

• Not widely available
  • More expensive

Bottom Line

Taste of the Wild offers premium dog food at an affordable price. While it’s still more expensive than some other brands, its natural ingredients and quality assurance make it stand out.

Top Taste of the Wild Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Our dog Baxter has severe food allergies. It took us a while to find a good dog food that he could actually eat! Baxter loves Taste of the Wild… Thank you Taste of the Wild for ke...

Verified

I have a 11.5 year-old female Standard Poodle. ... I was delighted when I saw the limited, non-GMO ingredients on Prey Turkey formula and decided to try her on it 2 years ago. Muc...

Taste of the Wild dog food

What is Taste of the Wild dog food?

Taste of the Wild dog food offers high-quality meals based on each pet’s natural diet. All formulas are made with real meat, including wild boar, smoked salmon, roasted duck and venison, to create a tastier and heartier bowl of food for puppies and dogs. In addition to natural ingredients, formulas include probiotics and are free of all artificial colors, preservatives and flavors.

For a more simpler, Taste of the Wild also offers a PREY formula that has minimal ingredients. Other pet food product lines include:

• Taste of the Wild puppy food
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - dry
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - wet
  • Grain-free
  • Senior formula
  • Pregnant or nursing blend

How does Taste of the Wild work?

Taste of the Wild dog food is designed to give pets a better food option inspired by the protein sources animals are meant to eat, meaning ones they ate when they were wild. The goal is to provide the vitality that nature intended.

Taste of the Wild sources all ingredients from high-quality vendors that share the same purpose and mission to provide ingredients without fillers, preservatives or artificial flavors. All meats are USDA-inspected and -approved and certified antibiotic free.

Customers can choose from a wide variety of flavors, formulas and types of pet food with Taste of the Wild. Because the benefits are similar across the formulas, most people choose based on which meat product their pet prefers.

Taste of the Wild prices

Taste of the Wild is sold by online retailers and in stores, but not through the company's website. Because of this, prices may vary between stores. In general, Taste of the Wild dog food costs around $13.99 for a five-pound bag and $48.99 for a 28-pound bag. Prices don’t differ between meats or flavors, just by size of the bag. Wet dog food costs about $2.30 per 13.2-ounce can. Some vendors, including Chewy and Petco, provide discounts for customers who subscribe for repeat deliveries.

Taste of the Wild FAQ

Is Taste of the Wild grain free?
The original Taste of the Wild and Taste of the Wild PREY formulas are grain free. The Ancient Grains line includes grains.
Who owns Taste of the Wild?
Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond Pet Foods, which is owned by Schell and Kampeter Inc., a pet food manufacturer with plants across the United States.
Is Taste of the Wild AAFCO approved?
Yes, Taste of the Wild foods are AAFCO approved.
How much is Taste of the Wild dog food?
Taste of the Wild costs about $49 for the biggest available size, which is a 28-pound bag.

Is Taste of the Wild good dog food?

For customers who want a more natural food for their pets, Taste of the Wild is a great option. Its flavors and formulas are designed to mimic the ingredients and nutrients animals would receive in the wild. Prices are fairly comparable to other brands but still a bit more expensive than lower-tier dog food. With the company's strict control system and close relationship with suppliers, Taste of the Wild works hard to ensure its customers receive high-quality dog food.

Taste of the Wild Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I got a mutt that looks like a pit bull and Lab mix. We know she's part pit bull because she has that frame, but she's a little leaner. She was a stray, so we estimated that she was about eight months old at the time. She might be a little less than four years now. She's a pet and I just her to be healthy. Taste of the Wild was the one that had the lowest amount of carbs that was widely available and I've exclusively used that. I started out with the one that was mainly venison, a forest style one, but then I switched to the Southwest because it uses more pork and garbanzo beans.

I've noticed my dog gain a bit of weight, but I can't say it's attributable to the dog food because we have a three year old who is constantly hooking her up with extra food. To be fair, we sometimes hook her up too, so she may be about five pounds overweight, but she's in great health. She has a ton of energy, so it helps her maintain a high energy level and good joint health. She's a rock star on the Frisbee too.

I hope they are able to somehow formulate a total ketogenic ratio for dogs because I want my dog eating as few carbs as possible. I know it's tough to come up with that in a healthy formulation that's also maintaining a price point, but I'm happy with the results overall. I hope it contributes to her long-term health. I would recommend Taste of the Wild if you're going to get a food that's widely available that isn't like some high-end especially formulated super expensive dog food. It has a price point and it's a little bit higher than a lot of dog foods, but I appreciate the attention to the dog’s health.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I had owned a feed store and I carried Taste of The Wild at that time. We encouraged our customers to try it because it was good food. Up until then, they were one of our vendors that I carry the feed. So I'm still buying it from the feed store that we've sold to. I have also ordered it online through Chewy at one time but mainly, I like to support our own local feed stores in our local little town. So I try to give them the business instead of ordering online. I have also ordered it online through Chewy at one time but mainly, I like to support our own local feed stores in our local little town. So I try to give them the business instead of ordering online.

I'm using Taste of the Wild cat food for my 2 cats. I just buy a bag as I need them. I also feed another little kitty outside once in a while. I've been in a little program that has been set up for me. Although, once the other feed store closed, we had to start all over again. But Taste of the wild never runs out. I'm having trouble getting other items but not the Taste of the Wild.

x

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

As we were trying to research a replacement brand, it seemed like Taste of the Wild was a low carb brand that was reasonably priced, which was why it was the one we chose. We have Akitas which are beautiful dogs. They’re all rescues and we don’t breed them. We often only have one but right now, we’ve got an older female and a younger male. The female is 10 years old and we've had her for a long time. She's playful. I don't take her on walks anymore but she always wants to go out on a short walk. The other one is a male and he's about five. He goes with me on the long walks every day. Taste of the Wild seems like a steady player and the dogs like it. We haven’t had any issues with it and they're always interested in dinner. The dogs are very healthy. They don't have skin issues or other problems. The dogs get regular exercise and the food has been a good steady contribution to their health. We've been happy with Taste of the Wild.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I'm a breeder and I had a male and female Bichon Frise. They're AKC so I let them have some litters, which they did. But now, I’ve decided to retire them. I’ve been using Taste of the Wild since 2016. It’s not that long but it’s a lot of bags of dog food. I would buy the puppy one also because the Bichon Frise would have hotspots every once in a while.

When I first got my female, I just used what they gave me. It wasn’t necessarily grain-free and she was chewing on one spot and she would pull all the hair off. So, when I found out that people were suggesting to go grain-free, that was when I first found the Taste of the Wild at the feed store. I tried that and she stopped immediately with the hot spots. Then when I got my male, I put him on grain-free. And when the puppies were born, I went to a puppy Taste of the Wild grain-free because I figured I'm gonna just start them out right with a grain-free. That was what I encouraged people who bought the puppies also and sent them specifically Taste of the Wild brands. I always sent them an extra bag full of it and a picture of what I was giving them and telling them where to get it.

I was buying the small breed adult grain-free Taste of the Wild and then when I bought the puppy, it turned out that the puppy was larger than the small breed adult. That was weird but I'm sure the nutrients were specifically for puppies, which was why I stayed with the puppy for them. But as I'm moving them to dry dog food away from nursing from the mother, I would wet it down with a puppy formula and then eventually just with water and let it soften up and then squish it up and make a gruel to feed the puppies with so they could get their teeth all in good. Then I would give the regular with the hard chunks. My adult dogs took the time that they would not eat the dry dog food unless I put water on it because they were used to trying to steal the puppies’ food and they wanted water with it just like for the puppies.

Now, it’s back down to the two of them and I have no puppies to worry about. I was using TOTW but it’s a little higher-priced so I tried NutriSource, which is grain-free also consisting of quail and duck. Even though I mixed it in slowly and got them used to it, when it was straight on that one, they threw it up, each one separately. So, I'm not gonna try to deter away from the Taste of the Wild anymore. I'll go back to buying that. I just bought a little bag. Overall, TOTW is good. I wish though that it has a grain-free for weight control.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

We were breeders of Bulldogs, so we used Taste of the Wild for a long time, probably 10 plus years. They had the best puppy food that we could use to grind up and soak. It would soak it up really well and it ground up really well. Our experience had been really good. Bulldogs have really sensitive stomachs and skin issues. But we never had any of that with Taste of the Wild. They didn't have the allergy issues that we had with some of the dog food. We used their puppy formula pretty much all year round ‘cause we had puppy litters every year. Then, we had the salmon formula and then a meat one with the bison. Those ones were good. We’d go with this bison for five months and then we’d switch it to the salmon. When they got the salmon, they would go nuts because it was different. Then when we brought the bison back, it would be the same thing.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Taste of the Wild is a good no-brainer kind of food. I like that the food is pretty limited ingredient and grain-free. It works out pretty well for the dogs. They've never had an issue with it. It's mostly what they eat and they're healthy. If they could get the price a little down though without losing quality, that would be good.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have been feeding Taste of the Wild to my dog and cat for many years. They both love their food... and I like that it is grain free and the ingredients are real food. My cat ate both dry and wet but I cannot find the wet so I had to make a change but she is still on the dry and loves it. Both keep their weight where it should be.. have plenty of energy and seem healthy.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I like the product a lot. It did seem like it was fresh every single time and it had a lot of good ingredients. The only thing that turned me away from it was that it was grain-free.

Original review: May 20, 2021

I started buying Taste of the Wild back when I just had two Huskies but there was something in the formula that changed because they went from liking it to not liking it. So, I had to switch to a different dog food. One of my huskies passed away and the one that’s left doesn’t like it anymore. But my Shepherd slash Malamute mix, Shibu and Pitbull like it and they notice when it's Taste of the Wild. We don't get it that often but it’s one of the better grain-free dog foods on the market. If somebody wants to go grain-free, that would be one of those that I would recommend.

Original review: May 13, 2021

Taste of the Wild seemed like a natural product and there was nothing manufactured or processed. My dog seemed energized being on it.

Taste of the Wild Company Information