2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.45/5

Taste of the Wild provides a wide variety of quality wet & dry food options for dogs & cats. Taste of the Wild understand the importance of feeding quality food to your pets, which is why we are committed to strict quality and safety standards. Contact us today or visit our website to find out more about our products and where you can find them!

Taste of the Wild Reviews

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I have tried many of the "best" dog foods on the market, recommended by trainers, breeders and vets. I was even an authorized distributor for a very well known brand. There were many trips to several veterinarians regarding the yeast infection in my German Shepherds ears, I was convinced this yeast issue was caused by a food allergy, even though several vets disagreed. I finally found a new brand, The Taste of the Wild, free of the grain I was sure was causing the problem with yeast. This was 12 years ago, the GSD with the yeast issue cleared up within a week of changing, never refused another dish of food and was able to live YEAST FREE.

I only wish I could have had this sooner so her early life would have been pain free! Now it is the only food my dogs eat. They are active, healthy, have glossy soft coats, clear eyes....and NOT a sign of a yeast infection anywhere! I alternate High Prairie with Pacific Stream and now I am adding Ancient Grains to the rotation. German Shepherds can be finicky eaters and are known for sensitive stomachs. Mine have never had a problem with their appetite or digestive issues at all. I highly recommend The Taste of the Wild and the new line of Ancient Grains. I will continue to feed The Taste of the Wild and Ancient Grains as long as it's available!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Taste of the Wild is my dogs' favorite food. I've been using it for about eight years now. It's grain-free, and that obviously made a huge difference in their diet. The amount of food that you feed them is less compared to everybody else. Their feces is a lot harder than the other ones, which means they’re absorbing all the nutrients they can, and that's great. I had show dogs and their coat was better too. About two months after I switched them over to TOTW, I started getting best in show with them. They definitely love the original, yellow bag, the Buffalo, whereas my Pug loves the lamb. We tried all the different flavors, and he doesn’t like the Mountain one very much, but he’s all over the lamb. I feed him the daily dose but I cut it in half. So, I feed him in the morning about 10 minutes before we leave in the morning for work, and then about 50 minutes after we come home, then we’ll feed him his second half of his full dose.

Whenever we pick up the food, people always ask if it is really worth the price. I tell them my story, and they get the food too. Then the next time I see them, they tell me that I was right and TOTW is totally an amazing food. At work, if people are having issues with their dogs, I always tell them about the food. And then, they try it and their food issues go away.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I've been using Taste of the Wild for 17 months now. I have two dogs and they’re both on it. When I was first introduced to Taste of the Wild, that was when I have my first dog, my first Cane Corso. And with Cane Corsos, they need a certain percentage of raw meat, liver, bones or organs itself, and Taste of the Wild gave me a step above the normal dog food. I went with this brand because of the raw meat that’s actually mixed in with the food. To have my Cane Corso on a complete raw diet is pretty expensive. So, Taste of the Wild gave me the experience of having the mixture of the chicken with the actual raw food as well. So, I give my dogs a healthier diet.

I use the Absolute Taste of the Wild and I use Diamond as well. That with Diamond, I use a large breed because I have another dog I've just added to the family, which is an American Bully, and she's only 13 weeks. So, I wanted a dog food that my dogs could both eat. Some other dogs can't eat adult dog food, but adult dog can eat puppy food because of the nutrients and protein in it. My dogs pretty much liked the dog food from the start. The only thing is that it altered their bowels for a moment, but everything was pretty normal.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I want to say that the FDA is the same agency that has recommended Americans to eat more grains than protein and vegetables. Since this change we are fatter and more unhealthier than ever. So I don’t buy into this FDA report about grain-free dog food being a problem. It is the lobbyists and agency that is the problem here. Don’t you think that they would want to point our pets in the same direction if it meant the corn and wheat industries and their lobbyists would provide the right benefit $ to the agency in some form? Wake up People! Is your dog healthy? Mine is he has been eating TOTW HP and PS for 3 years and the puppy version before that. He has no health issues, his coat looks amazing, his eyes are bright and his nails grow the way they should. He is a show dog quality Belgian Malinois.

I chose this food because it was the best value for the best ingredients that I felt would benefit him. His diet is supplemented with all kinds of treats and meats - he is not a grain-free dog, but he is healthy and I trust a company that cares about making quality dog food over the agency that has been the primary reason for the decline of Americans' health. Just pointing out the obvious. So I hope that anyone that is using or considering TOTW looks at their own dog’s health instead of worry about a report from an untrustworthy government agency. With that said if they are having problems by all means work with your vet to find a solution. I am not a rep of TOTW and am not paid to be a voice of reason.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I bought Taste of the Wild for the first time at my local hardware store. I checked the ingredients and was satisfied with the ingredients as opposed to about every other food. The only thing is I wasn't sure about all of the different flavors, so I was trying to figure out which one of the flavors suited my dogs the best. And I noticed that whenever I would change flavors from bag to bag, there's a little bit of itching in my dogs. But otherwise, I am extremely satisfied with the company and how the dogs like the food and that it's healthy for them. It's one of the few that they like and it's good for them.

There are five flavors that my local hardware sells, so I was trying to figure out which one my dogs like the best. When I did that, I couldn't figure out why they were itching. And then, when I did a little more digging, because I know when you switch from food to food, that sometimes allergy arose, but I never thought of flavor to flavor in the same food. And I can't nail down that that was the exact reason. It could've been environmental factor. Other than that, I like the packaging. I like the product. I'm very happy that we are part of a program where once we buy 10 bags, we get a bag for free. I like that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I have a black lab and I've been using Taste of the Wild for eight years now. It’s high-quality and grain-free, and he really likes it. It also keeps his skin allergies at bay, and he doesn’t ever have an upset tummy with it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Taste of the Wild had a good price and I've been using it for my dogs for about a year and a half now. I have two German Shepherds. I just give them the salmon and it seems like my dogs are doing good.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

We went from the yellow bag to a green bag because the eggs were making my dogs' hair fall out. We went through a smaller kibble also. We have boxers, so they can eat large kibble. But it seems that they digested the smaller kibble much better. The dogs are healthier with Taste of the Wild. We also use Taste of the Wild for our two rescue cats, and they have the biggest positive effect from it. They're Russian blues, and their fur really shined up. The other thing is that they don’t go to the bathroom that much, and I think that’s because they're digesting more of the food and they're not getting rid of all the byproducts that’s in normal pet food.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

A friend of mine had a pit bull just like mine and she said she fed him with Taste of the Wild, so I started feeding my pit bull that too as a puppy, and he's five years old now. I use the bison and something mix, the one in the yellow bag, and he has nice coat. With other dogs that we had, we used other brands like Pedigree, but they were eating a lot more of the food, so we had to buy food more often. But with Taste of the Wild, I don't have to buy it as often.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

The Taste of the Wild that we use has a lot of salmon in it. There is not a lot of fillers and garbage in its ingredients, too. I have a 7-yo Blue Heeler and a 3-yo Belgian Malinois and they love the salmon brand. We used to buy cheap stuff, and the blue Heeler would have seizures every once in a while. They would both throw up their food every once in a while and all of that quit since they have been on salmon. I've used it for a couple of years already.

Taste of the Wild expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.

• Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.

• Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.

• Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.

• Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Taste of the Wild Company Information