Taste of the Wild

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I just had the same experience as everyone else here with their July bag of Taste of Wild food that was ordered from Chewy on July 9th. They have been on this food for quite awhile with absolutely no issues and I always have an extra bag of food, so this month, we started on that July bag... Which I have all the product/manufacturing date code information if anyone needs it. Very first feeding from the new bag made all 4 dogs of different breeds and sizes (I rescue dogs) sick... Have very loud stomach churning noises, lots of diarrhea, and very ill. Extremely worried, I wondered what it was that made them so sick, there was absolutely no changes in their life at all, so I pulled up all food bowls.

Later that night, I put back down one food bowl and no one would go near it. They didn't eat at all even though I knew they were hungry. They didn't eat for a day. I then pulled up that food bowl and went out and bought another brand of dog food from PetSmart (FYI. Wellness Core) and filled up 3 clean food bowls with it and they immediately devoured 2 bowls... And I am not even kidding when I say they immediately went to those bowls and ate. Now I don't know what is going on with Taste of Wild dog food because, as I said, I never once before had any issues of any sorts with this food, and my dogs have been on it for quite awhile and did great on it and they loved it... Until the first feeding out of this July bag.

After researching, it seems this is happening to a lot of people. I called Chewy and they refunded my money and told me to throw it out. So then, I went to their site and read that they said they tested their July food and all is well. Well I know, and my 4 dogs know first hand, unfortunately, that is complete **. Truthfully, now that makes me worry even more than if a company had a bad batch and took responsibility and had a recall.

I understand things do happen that companies can't control and maybe something went wrong making or storing or I don't know with the food. However, when a lot of people all over the country are reporting VERY sick animals and the company doesn't tell the pet owners the truth of what is wrong with that July bag of food my dogs got sick off of, so we can be informed and know what we are dealing with and how to help our animals, that to me is even worse because they are obviously covering up something and that makes me worry and wonder what possibly worse things that went wrong with or what else was put into with their food. For that reason alone, I will not be returning to using Taste of the Wild ever again and am telling all pet owners to alert them to this issue.

I am not trying to promote another brand so I will not mention the other high quality dry product I had been using. The clerk at Pet Supplies Plus represented this to me as having no recalls. That is a lie as I found now that they have had many along with their affiliate. The store instantly refunded me when I took it back today. My cat started to throw up right away but I assumed it was the switch in brands or a hair ball. That subsided for the most part but I started to notice his coat changed and can hear his stomach churning never heard before.

He went from his gorgeous shiny charcoal grey like a Russian Blue to a matted looking off color brown hue in places in these weeks. Now he started to throw up more again. I was told by a clerk there that that is generally due to a vitamin deficiency with the change in coat. I also have noticed that he is sleeping more than usual. I feel that this brand should be researched with the amount of complaints not just here but all over social media! I do have the receipt for the return but am not going to upload that at the moment and will if required and any action is actually taken!!!

Taste of the Wild dry dog food: I have been feeding my dog this food for years then bought new bag and he was not interested in eating it... He is very food driven so I was surprised but thought he was just having a moment, so he reluctantly ate it but over next few days started with diarrhea then lethargy. I was not thinking that it was food related so continued to feed him. Then woke up one morning and he was almost unable to walk! Took him to emergency vet and he was admitted and given IV fluids and antibiotics and pain meds. They said he had pancreatitis and elevated liver enzymes and was very sick and dehydrated! He stayed for 3 days and bill was 2300$. When I brought him home I only gave him chicken eggs and pasta and he amazingly recovered except for slightly soft stool... I can only attribute his illness to Taste of the Wild but I guess I will never know for sure. But one thing I do know for sure is I will never feed him that food again!!!

I have used Taste of the Wild for the last 4 and a half years. It used to work great for my Olde English Bulldog that was very allergy prone. However, the last bag I purchased was in July and it was the Pacific Stream. I have always switched up their proteins to keep their bodies from becoming immune to the protein. They have been on the Southwest Boar, roasted fowl, Pacific Stream, high prairie, and lamb. Never had an issue in the past until this last bag that I opened a week ago.

One of my English Bulldogs came in from having a poop and was dripping blood from his butt. My Olde English has been battling hives with a skin reaction. My third English bulldog is having diarrhea. Spending a decent amount on dog food I expect a quality that reflects the same standard. Not something that puts their lives in danger. Took them to the vet today and the vet tested their stool and it was found to have bacteria. Please beware when purchasing this food! I heard about the issues but thought how they've always been fine in the past and it wouldn't happen to "my dogs". I would post the batch number but I cannot due to putting their dog food in a plastic bin once I open the bag. The bag was made in Missouri - that I do remember. I purchased it in NW Arkansas at Orschelns and it was the Pacific Stream bag.

We have used TOTW for over 6 years. We have two Great Danes and they have always done fantastic on this food. We get the red bag (boar) and the yellow bag (Venison) and interchange them. We go through just over one large bag once a week. About two months ago, our girls BOTH began refusing to eat. However, if they became hungry enough they would go nibble on the food. I washed their bowls out really well and made sure there was nothing around the dishes that might be making the food seem unpleasant - we found nothing. More and more the girls have become lethargic. They don't act like themselves at all and it has become a daily issue with them refusing to eat.

We didn't think it was the food initially, because they turned their noses up to both bags. They didn't have any parasites and were healthy otherwise, so I thought maybe they were just getting older and weren't hungry as much or wanted to free feed (which is odd for a Dane). We just opened up another bag and both girls very begrudgingly nibbled at their food. My heart broke. Something is wrong with this food!!! I stopped them and got into my fridge to pull out what I could to feed them until I can get to the store tomorrow for a different food.

I got online and typed in 'Taste of the Wild dog won't eat' and I about cried my eyes out. Taste of the Wild!!! There is OBVIOUSLY something wrong with your food!!! What are you doing to our pets!!! What did you do??!! The only reason I can think of that my girls didn't get as sick as some of the dogs in these reviews is that they are Danes. I am so angry. If you are considering getting this food for your animal - DON'T. Any positive review from before about June of 2017 should be considered outdated! Something changed. They changed their formula or something and it is glaringly apparent that all of our pups are getting VERY ill because of it.

TOTW was a phenomenal food prior to this, don't get me wrong. But until TOTW acknowledges this and fixes it, I would advise not even taking the chance. Especially if you have a smaller dog. For the person who mentioned batch numbers, there is no point. I think it is apparent by these reviews and those that are SO easily found by a simple Google search that this is a very wide spread issue. This isn't a situation where a couple batches became contaminated. This has to be a formula change or something product wide.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

I had previously given TotW a 5 star review. Unfortunately, it would seem that the new bag of Wetlands formula has something wrong with it. We had been feeding from it for about a week, when I noticed our 11 month old GSD's stool was unusually loose. We had just brought home an 8 week old female GSD, so I attributed the loose stools to the stress of having to share everything and learn how to play with this ornery fluffball with needle-teeth, without being too rough and getting into trouble with mom & dad. However, having been alerted to possible developing problems with TotW, I kept a close eye on him and her (she steals bites of his food of course), they didn't show any sign of not feeling well and the stools didn't seem to be getting any worse. That changed yesterday (8/5/17).

When I got up, our 11 month-old had full blown diarrhea, had not been able to hold it to get outside (poor guy was not only having to deal with being ill, but he was also upset that he had made a "mess" in the house, needless to say there was no scolding), and the puppy's stool was pudding-like, but not liquid. I immediately secured all of the food from the bag and began feeding rice and cooked meat, with cooked eggs and a touch of salt (the latter two are to help with dehydration and restoring electrolytes, K and Na respectively). The puppy didn't show any behavioral signs of not feeling well, but the male came and laid beside me for an unusually long period of time for him. He clearly was not feeling well.

By evening, the female's stools were normal and the male, who had eaten significantly more, was still very loose, but no longer completely liquid and was acting more like himself. We're still feeding rice & meat today, but have already changed what we're going to be feeding and the feed supply we buy from has taken back the remainder of the TotW and given us credit for the bag. The person we dealt with at the feed store told us that there had been a couple of other patrons who had a similar experience.

Our babies are doing much better today and I owe it in part to the reviews on here for their part in alerting me to the potential problem. I'm so glad we were able to catch this before our babies were in serious trouble. My heart goes out to those who weren't so lucky. I don't know what happened and I hope the makers of TotW take appropriate action, though from their past track record and current apparent inaction after what seems to be several months of evidence that they have a sizeable problem, I hold little hope. I will be watching this as it progresses, but doubt we will ever go back to TotW or any of Diamond's other holdings. You only get one chance with me to get it right when it comes to my family.

I've been feeding TOTW Roasted Lamb formula the last 2 yrs, I have a dog that has a VERY sensitive stomach, he has IBD & skin allergies. We have never had any problems with the TOTW Sierra Mountain Roasted Lamb formula... The Sierra Mountain formula is lower is fat-15% & protein-25% some of the other TOTW formulas are higher in fat-18% & protein-32% & have 3-4 different meat proteins, this can up set a dog's stomach/bowel & may be too rich for some dogs, always read the fat % & protein % & read the ingredient list, start with a single meat protein, lower fat formula & add some healthy whole foods as well to their diets or a wet tin food as a topper so your dog isn't just eating dry kibble 24/7. You'll find your dog won't have any health problems & be fit & healthy. TOTW Roasted Lamb formula seem to be the only kibble that helps my boy IBD & Skin Allergies & he does real well.

I've been feeding my three pit bulls Taste of the Wild High Prairie dog food for over five years with excellent results. I've recommended it to many people. The last few months, something just hasn't been right. (My three rescued furbabies are my pride and joy.) A few months ago, we almost lost my female pit-mix to a mystery illness that caused her to lose 17 pounds, vomit constantly and resulted in her not being able to walk due to swelling in her back and hips.

Three vets were stumped despite every blood test available. Through the use of steroids and multiple antibiotics, she slowly recovered over a full months time. Her symptoms suggested Lyme disease or kidney failure. The entire time, she was eating TOTW and never lost her appetite. NOW, a few days ago my adult male pit bull began to have uncontrollable hives, swelling, and lethargy. This morning I woke up to huge puddles of vomit on the floor and couch from him. More vomit than I've ever seen from one dog. My female dog (previously sick) walked in and immediately vomited also. The third dog, a male pit-boxer, has severe diarrhea.

All three dogs being sick has to be due to the dog food they all eat. These are pampered pooches!! I threw away the TOTW and will never go back or trust it again. I posted on Facebook and already have multiple people in my small circle of friends that have had the same experience. This is NOT right. I trusted TOTW with my dogs' health. I feel betrayed by whatever changes they have made and their cover-up of facts. (My dog food was delivered June 29, 2017 by Jet.com.)

I have fed this product for years. My Coonhound did well and remained healthy for at least 4 years on it. However after never experiencing any symptoms a few weeks ago, she turned bright pink, got a yeast infection in her ear and now is gassy. She has never had gas while she's been on it. I bought a bag for my GSD puppy and he had diarrhea while eating it so I immediately stopped feeding it to him. I have stopped feeding my Coonhound it, after reading thousands of dogs have gotten sick on it. I have thrown it all, both bags out and my dog’s transition over to raw. Both are thriving and all meds they were on have been stopped. Coincidence? I think not.

Pacific Stream Grain Free Dry Dog Food - This food made all FOUR of my dogs sick! We ordered a new bag from chewy.com on July 6th. After opening that bag and feeding my dogs, they all had bloodied diarrhea and were up throughout the night vomiting. I tried to mend them at home but for days it persisted. One ended up in the ER and had to have surgery. I put all on a bland chicken and rice diet and the symptoms went away. My vet advised me to slowly reintroduce dog food into their diets. As soon as I did this – BOOM - the symptoms were back with all four dogs. THE ONLY CHANGE WAS THE DOG FOOD BAG!!!

I work from home so I watch my dogs all the time. They are indoor dogs ---- so we tossed the food and washed out the container. We order another brand that we had used for years but was VERY expensive and miraculously the dogs took to the new brand of food and are all healthy now. 3 weeks and over $5000 later. BEWARE OF TOTW. They are also trying to dodge responsibility on social media. Disgusting and shameful company. NEVER AGAIN!

My 6 month old English Bulldog has been on Taste of the Wild dog food for the last few months, and had no issues until this last week. I bought her a new bag 4 or 5 days ago (same brand and flavor), and within 24 hours she started vomiting and having diarrhea. It has been non stop. Today a friend messaged me and asked what kind of food she was eating, because he knew she had been sick. His friends dog has been sick the last few days too and their pets eat Taste of the Wild. I immediately started researching and found that a large number of pets are experiencing the same symptoms the last few weeks. I contacted the company and the Pet store I purchased the food from and I really hope they do something about this before more pets become ill. She has had no previous stomach issues until this week.

I'm very disgusted & disappointed in this dog food. I thought I was doing a good thing for my dog by getting her what I thought was good quality food. I actually purchased food that made her sick. Might as well have given her rat poison. Just like everyone else on here my dog was vomiting every bit of this food she ate. I was able to return the bag to Pet Club but that's no consolidation. I've already been to the vet once. Unfortunately it was before I saw all these horrible reviews.

Now that I've seen this I'm taking her back to the vets again. After 2 weeks of being off of this food she still is not herself. I pray there is no damage to her organs. I wish I never gave her this food. This company is evil if they don't do something about this. I made sure to share this with the Pet Club & I'm hoping they don't recommend it to anyone else. Stay away from this food at all costs.

Seems to be a common theme. I've used Taste of the Wild for many years and thought it was a high end dog food. My dog has been reluctant to eat it so I made her rather than switching to a different dog food right away. She became ill. Diarrhea and throwing up. Then I was contacted by a dog breeder and a trainer and was informed that something was wrong with this food. It's pretty upsetting. My animals are my family and I try to do the very best I can by taking good care of them. Luckily I found out before it became serious with thousands in vet bills.

My 11 week old Corgi puppy has been eating Taste of the Wild puppy formula since the beginning of his weaning over a month ago. I just opened a new bag of Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Roasted Venison and Bison yesterday morning, Monday August 1st. He ate that morning and hasn't eaten since! I became concerned yesterday evening when he began vomiting, refusing to drink, refusing to eat, had a hard bloated belly, was getting lethargic and then diarrhea set in about 10 hours later. I couldn't sleep that night, thinking he must have gotten a hold of something, but racking my brain on how we could have missed it seeing he is always on a lead next to one of us (even in the house) during training! I came across a FB post about Taste of the Wild and the horrific experiences the last month or 2 that so many people have had with their pets! EVERYTHING matched up, the symptoms were the same!

I tried to contact Taste of the Wild myself this morning (Tuesday August 2nd) and after almost 18 minutes on hold, the call abruptly 'hung up' without my ever getting a chance to even speak to someone. I then called the online company I purchased the food from (Chewy) and was told that very morning, they received an email from upper management acknowledging that there had been a very large number of complaints on Taste of the Wild and that they were 'in touch' with the brand directly, who planned on making a statement to the public later today. VERY UPSETTING. Peoples pets are sick and dying and Taste of the Wild, owned by Diamond is stated online earlier today that these complaints are a hoax? WHAT? That's just ludicrous.

I rushed my puppy ** to our vet to be checked and we were one of the lucky ones; a shot for nausea, dehydration and some canned specialty food for the next few days and as long as nothing gets worse, he should be just fine (a good carpet shampooing and a good night sleep and I should be too). I will be finding a way to destroy the entire HUGE bag of Taste of the Wild that I opened yesterday morning when this nightmare began, so that no other animal can get a hold of it! The BEST BY DATE on the bag reads as 02 JUN 2018 and the lot number, THP0602D218 DAW22:39. Prayers for anyone out there going through something like this. No animal in our family will consume Taste of the Wild pet foods ever again!

I loved this food until my dogs started throwing up on it. My dogs that were not eating it were totally fine! Tell me there is not something wrong with that? The company is still denying there is an issue! All of my bags came from the same batch number. It was the lamb.

We have been feeding our now 13 month old St Berdoodle Taste of the Wild High Prairie puppy food since December. He did ok until a few weeks ago and started vomiting. His stomach was making such loud noises the other night it woke us up. We saw the reviews on this website thank goodness and stopped feeding him the Taste of the Wild. I'm not sure if it was a bad batch of food or what but we aren't taking any chances and have switched him to a different brand.

My two Frenchies had an unexplainable incident. They both were vomiting, had severe diarrhea, and pass blood from their rectum. Not one, but two dogs. Both on TOTW. I've been worried about them and late this evening I received a message from someone on a blog I'm a member of indicated mass numbers of consumers reporting similar issues with their pets and the common denominator is Taste of the Wild brand dog foods. I'm going to have my dogs checked out and bring this to my vet's attention and provide them with the dog food for testing. This is insane!

I have been feeding my pit mix senior dog TOW for two years now and now my dog has been sick for a month! The week of July 1 he started puking with diarrhea. He also stopped eating with other symptoms like lethargic, drooling, drinking tons of water and mucus in his stool on top of the diarrhea. I thought this was his old age so I planned on putting him down this week because of other problems he's having but this sickness came out of nowhere! This was just brought to my attention today, about all these complaints with the same symptoms! I'm switching his food first thing tomorrow in hopes he gets better! I hope TOW company does something about this soon before tons of people spend thousands in vet care!!

I am concerned by all the reports of illness from TOTW. PLEASE when writing a review mention the pet store, the location of the pet store, or website you are buying the food from. Diamond manufactures TOTW, as well as Kirkland, Nature's Domain grain-free, Diamond Naturals, 4Health, Natural Balance dry, Premium Edge, Professional, Solid Gold, and Chicken Soup for the Soul (according to a 2012 list from truthaboutpetfood.com). Diamond has multiple plants in different states including Meta, Missouri, Gaston, South Carolina; Lathrop, California; Ripon, California; and Dumas, Arkansas. I have been feeding these brands for nearly 20 years, in Oregon.

Aside from storage problems in the summer by pet stores and transporters causing the dog food to spoil and ferment I've had zero health problems with these brands in all these years! I personally have not seen any symptoms of the recently reported issues with my 9 dogs (knock on wood), so please report where you are buying these toxic bags of dog food from to help narrow down the plant or transporter(s) or storage facilities that may be involved. Diamond is usually good about staying on top of potential problems and usually recalls before illnesses are even reported so I am surprised they haven't issued a recall or widespread response to these complaints.

I have been feeding my two adult dogs TOTW for over a year now with no issues. However, I have a litter of 10 6.5 week old Goldendoodle puppies and this is my experience: We recently had a HUGE scare with the puppies and I have come to believe this is why. We could have lost them if I let this go on longer. I've been in contact with TOTW and they are denying any issues with their bags of food, which completely baffles me. Why let this go on and affect more innocent animals? Clearly there is an issue. I will be sending this dog food out to be tested for all possible bacterias.

On Saturday, July 29th I noticed that 4 of the puppies were acting a bit lethargic and threw up bile. I assumed maybe it was from drinking or eating too fast since I had just fed them. By Sunday, the 30th symptoms along with loose stools had passed to 4 other puppies. I immediately consulted our vet and followed his advice of keeping them hydrated, I syringe fed Pedialyte and water and lessened their food intake. That evening nobody was really improving and dehydration was a concern. We went to the emergency vet Sunday night where the puppies received antibiotics, fluids, and anti-nausea meds. The Vet ran the following tests: white blood cell count (elevated), coccidia (negative), roundworms (negative), hookworms (negative), heartworms (negative), parvo virus (negative), distemper (negative). He ran more, but those are just off the top of my head.

When I got home I immediately switched their food because that could have been a cause. Upon switching nobody threw up their food and by the next morning they were on the mend. This all leads me to believe that their new bag (I opened Thursday) could have been the culprit. I am absolutely sick about this and recommend that anyone who feeds Taste of the Wild to throw their bag out and get a new one from a new batch or avoid TOTW all together. All the pups are on antibiotics, a different food and are doing 100% better! We are waiting to hear back from the vet about possible salmonella and other bacterias. We expect the results in two days.

I am so shocked about the bad reviews. First, we have a 13-year-old Boxer dog whom we have been feeding Taste of the Wild for over 6 years. He's totally in shape and we NEVER have any health issues with him. The vet says he's a freak of nature because he's so healthy and Boxers don't tend to live that long, much less be super healthy at that age.

Secondly, our youngest Boxer was a runt. When we got her she was 7 lbs at 8 weeks. She had a laundry list of issues (ear infections, mange, etc) the first few months. She's 3 years old now and has been on Taste of the Wild since she was 6 months. The vet is always super happy with her weight and mentions how healthy she is.

Lastly, we have a 5-year old cat and she's been on Taste of the Wild. She's also super healthy, active and has a nice coat. No violent vomiting and no violent diarrhea ever from any of the pets. So I don't know what all the negative reviews are about but our entire pet kids are in tip-top shape, are super active and have nice coats.

I've been feeding TOTW for 8 years. I just bought a new bag of puppy food within the time frame everyone is complaining about; our puppy is halfway through it without incident. I am perplexed because out of all these complaints, only TWO people bothered to list the batch number. Everyone else had such a wide array of symptoms, said buyer beware, but provided no info about the food itself other than the brand. What flavor? What batch number? All dog owners know that when there is a dog food recall, the batch number on the bag is always referenced. If these complainants are that concerned why don't they provide that information? Because I suspect that providing batch numbers would allow TOTW to re-test that food and refute their claim.

TOTW Salmon & Potato - My pitbull ate this food for years and had zero issues. We had tried different brands and formulations to figure out he was allergic or reactive to chicken and beef/bison/deer based diets. We changed to Salmon and he had great stools, no more redness of the paws or incessant itching! We then got our Cane Corso and were feeding her the same diet after much trial and error. She came to us with bloody diarrhea that had nothing to do with the food she was on because we later discovered she had a really bad bacterial infection in her intestines. We originally thought it was from Beneful which is just like junk food for dogs.

Once we cleared infection and she was on the Salmon diet she did great (we also tried the white fish by Diamond Naturals which is the same parent company). We did discover that she was itchier than a normal dog with red paws. I work for a veterinary dermatologist and she suggested we trial treat with Apoquel for environmental allergy. She was about 80% improved on this but still very red and itchy. We then did a food trial of Royal Canin PR and she did amazing after the first 6-8 weeks. Unfortunately she is mildly allergic to the fish in the diet and suspect there may have been a mild chicken or beef cross contamination which is fine if you don't have a food allergic dog. I still recommend this company for others looking for a maintenance diet.

My dog has eaten the yellow bag of Taste of the Wild dog food for years. Recently, my dog has been vomiting and having diarrhea- this has been with my last 2 bags of dog food... Approximately 1.5 months. She was taken to the vet but it continues. This is the ONLY food of ANY kind my dog eats. I am extremely concerned that the food is contaminated. I would like to know what the food shows if tested. I do not keep the bags because I keep her food in a sealed container. I purchase every time from the same store which is T and N feed store in Ocean Springs, MS.

We started our bulldog puppy on TOTW when we got her in February 2017 and the food worked for her. That is until we bought a new bag in June, something has changed or the batch is contaminated. Not longer after we opened the new bag and began feeding it to her, she became violently ill, throwing up non stop (not normal throw up). We took her to the vet, he did X-rays/ scans, all kinds of tests and could not determine what was wrong with her. She had lost 25% of her body weight, thrown up for 2 weeks, ruined carpet and furniture. I Googled TOTW and came across this site. I immediately switched her food. She seems back to normal after three weeks. I have called TOTW only to be told they had not heard any similar feedback, I told them to Google it for themselves. Never again will I use their products.

The 1st week of the month I had purchased a fresh bag of TOW Roasted Fowl. We have been on this for almost 2 years now without any issues. On July 6th Max got sick with diarrhea. He was still eating and drinking but still tummy troubles. Two days later on July 8th I saw blood and called the vet. I brought him in and the vet said he didn't feel any blockages, he was acting normal, eating and drinking no problem. He checked him and there were no parasites. I was sent home with prescription food, Pro Pectin (doggie tums) and paid a $200 vet bill. After 72 hours (July 13) on the prescription food he was feeling better.

He was completely fine for a whole week and I decided to put him back on his Taste of the Wild. 3 days later he was sick again (July 25), this time he was vomiting. I went back on the prescription food and ordered a container of Pro-Pectin to get his stomach back to normal. Yesterday I gave him plain yogurt. He has stopped vomiting, but still has diarrhea. I have begun boiling ground beef and steaming white rice. YESTERDAY July 31 was when I read about so many dogs getting sick this month on Taste of the Wild. I am DUMPING the 30LBS and choosing another brand. He has lost 4lbs over the last 4 weeks. I will never let him suffer like this again.

Something happened on last bag we bought. Have a 2 yr old Rottie who has been on Taste of the Wild grain free Salmon food for over a year and doing well. Started out with loud stomach noises in mornings and not wanting to eat. Acted hungry but would walk away from food. Licking legs, paws and seemed low energy. Then noticed skin bumps, stopped drinking even water. He became dehydrated and had to go for IV fluids. Came home and still would walk away from dog food but would eat the rice and boiled turkey we made him. Finally did a change to the Wetlands fowl and which he is eating BUT stools are never firm and very mushy soft. Skin issues are still present. Today will buy another brand because we believe TOTW has changed something in recipe that has made him sick.

I, my sister, and my son have fed TOTW to our Boxers for years. It USED to be QUALITY FOOD when the original owners produced it. DO NOT FEED YOUR ANIMALS TOTW IF YOU WANT THEM TO LIVE! For the last couple years my boxer has had health issues. In the past 9-10 months, I have prepared myself to lose my boxer, as he has been so sick. Two vets could not find out what was wrong w/ him. I DID! My boxer had horrible upset stomach, panting for no reason, he was not hot, he had not been playing, he would just wake up panting desperately. He would come to me in a PANIC, stressed out, and saliva would be dripping non stop. It was NOT drool, this was completely different. He would soak his chest & legs, my shirt and pants. He was in pain and scared. What was wrong with him? ACID REFLUX BECAUSE OF TOTW CRAP FOOD!

Once I researched and found all the symptoms and the fact that TOTW was what each of these people were feeding their dogs!!! I was LIVID. And still am! I believe in transitioning when I change a dog food, but in this case? NO! I IMMEDIATELY STOPPED feeding this crap! Within TWO DAYS, my boxer was NOT dealing with acid reflux EVERY DAY & NIGHT! He began to play again, STOPPED eating grass, Is a HAPPY & HEALTHY BOXER! I will make sure that I spread the word on TOTW crap food poisoning our dogs! My sister has two boxers, I have two boxers, my son has a boxer, I have NUMEROUS friends online that WERE feeding TOTW, and all have STOPPED FEEDING TOTW, and are helping in sharing this information!

A little over a year ago when my boxer began getting sick, I contacted the company, and was told that they did have a bad batch. (I always keep ALL my codes when I feed a bag of food) So they sent me a new bag... Obviously just as crap as the other, and all their food since then. All I can say is Thank God I discovered all these dogs that were suffering the same symptoms as my boxer! TOTW??? Diamond??? You need to get it together. I am sorry for those that have had sick dogs that have had dogs that died from this horrible food...

We've fed this to our dog since we adopted her at 4 months old, she's just over 3 years old now. She'd go periods where she refused to eat and would end up vomiting bile. I took her to the vet and a thousand dollars later our poor baby had a bacterial infection. After giving her GI soothing wet food and probiotics/antibiotics recommended by the vet, we tried to put her back on the Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. She went back to the old cycle of refusing to eat again. We gave the food to my brother to give to his dogs and soon after they started to get ill with large bouts of diarrhea. There were three and a half bags of dog food, so realistically $160 of dog food that we can't use for fear of our family pets' conditions worsening. I don't recall if we got our latest bags of dog food from Jet, Chewey, or Pet360 but I know we ordered it online.

We have been feeding Taste of the Wild to our dog for the past several years. Starting several months ago she (GSD) started to developed digestive issues. She would often eat grass in the morning. Her appetite waned but when she did eat she would often vomit afterwards. She developed chronic diarrhea. Thinking it was the protein source I foolishly ordered another bag, this time a fish protein. Things didn't change but got progressively worse. Back to the vets and placed on antibiotics of IBS. No improvement but at this time thinking maybe the antibiotics were upsetting her stomach.

2 weeks of the antibiotics and all the symptoms were accelerating. Back to the vets again, she had lost 4 lbs in 1 month. She was listless and last weekend we all thought it was the end of her. In my desperation I googled Taste of the Wild and came across this website. When I started reading the 6+ pages of similar complaints I was astonished. Yet it gave me a glimmer of hope that maybe it could be the dog food. Wishing it to be true but not thinking it really was the cause I threw the rest of the Taste of the Wild out and started home cooking for her.

One week later she is back to her old self. Her stools are perfect and her appetite is voracious. She has her zip back. I can only thank this website and the people who took the time to tell their story. For perks, to the company... I did call Chewy up and relay my experience and thoughts. While they said they had not received any complaints (I find that hard to believe) they offered to refund me not 1 but 2 bags of dog food! I can only hope that the word gets out that this is bad stuff. Also for the record, my neighbor across the street has since stated that his dog has stopped eating her Taste of the Wild kibble. His bag has since gone out in the garbage.

Expert Review

Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.    More about Dr. Ken Tudor→

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free, and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.
  • Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.
  • Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.
  • Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.
  • Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.
  • Best for Healthy active dogs, puppies and dogs that need to eat healthy.

Compare Dog Food