Taste of the Wild

29%

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

5people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Taste of the Wild:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Reviews & Complaints

I have German Shepherd Dogs (GSDs). Have had them for more than 45 years. My dogs are active in many events, including conformation, herding, obedience and rally venues. Obviously, over the years I've fed a number of different dog foods. When I was unhappy with the changes in my dog food of choice several years ago, I spoke with many of my GSD friends to learn what they were feeding. Ultimately I went with TOTW. I have never been sorry. My dogs prefer the Bison formula -- High Prairie, yellow bag. I wanted to use the Pacific Stream but they didn't care for it. I can and do add salmon oil from time to time for certain dogs, mostly for coat. I hope that TOTW never changes their formula. As long as they keep their current formula and high standards, I will never change.

My rat terrier has been on the lamb and rice Taste of the Wild food for two years and in that time there have been bags that look very visibly different than others. In late November I purchase a 10lb bag and my dog has now become very ill. My very potty trained 10 year old dog is having diarrhea accidents all over the house panicking to get to the door. I pulled him off this food and gave him tuna and white rice. We saw instant improvement. He has a food allergy to chicken and corn. I'm wondering if the wrong food was bagged or this brand is not truthful about its ingredients. Do not buy Taste of the Wild... Diamond Pet Food products are awful. Had I known this was a Diamond product I would have never purchased it.

I have been feeding my dog Taste of The Wild since April of this year. My dog liked it and no problems, until this last bag. At first I was not sure what was going on. She seemed lethargic and had loose stools. I did not feed her that night and just gave her a small treat and the next morning she seemed a little better. After she ate more of it she was sick again but I still did not put 2 and 2 together until the next day. I wondered if it was the dog food, so I took her off of it for a week and during that time she got better.

The following week, I gave her a small amount and the same thing, just not as bad. So I know you are suppose to slowly introduce a new food, so I did not panic yet. The next day I gave her a small amount again, and she was sicker and vomited it up. Ok, so it is the food. I did some research on the company and did not know it was Diamond. I think it stinks that they seem to purposefully omit that with this brand. Diamond has had some issues in the past with a recall re: Salmonella. But, the recall was for a couple of years ago. So, I altered my search in Google for 2015 only and found this site where a LOT of other people are having the same problem right now. Also stinks that Diamond seems to be aware but is not responding. I left a review about it on Amazon, where I have been purchasing, to possibly warn others.

My dog is 14 and a year ago developed allergies. After $$$ tests, it is from chicken, poultry products found in his dog food. I researched a dog food that contained no chicken, poultry fat, poultry products and found Taste of the Wild Pacific stream Canine. He loves it and his skin has cleared up!

We feed our two border collie mix dogs once per day with Taste of the Wild. Their favorite is High Prairie. We feel good about this quality dog food - it meets our dogs nutritional needs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

This dog food has been great for my dogs. I was using Science Diet then Core, now this one. It's high protein, my dogs love it and the cost is less than Blue. My dogs are healthy and are 12 years old now

I've been feeding both my dogs Taste of the Wild for several years now, after trying all sorts of other dog foods. Both dogs love it (now exclusively on the wild fowl flavor, but have tried other flavors) and are healthy and thriving dogs. There was a minor recall a while back, but my dogs were not in any danger and the company offered a full refund and quickly addressed concerns. The price is better than other premium foods, and though not cheap, is definitely worth it to keep my dogs healthy and happy. I highly recommend this dog food as a good base food from which to build a nutritious diet. I sometimes add fresh veggies, eggs and meat as supplemental foods, but they are perfectly happy eating Taste of the Wild simply by itself. I even use it as a treat stuffed in a play bone.

Expert Review

Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.    More about Dr. Ken Tudor→

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free, and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.
  • Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.
  • Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.
  • Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.
  • Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.
  • Best for Healthy active dogs, puppies and dogs that need to eat healthy.

Compare Dog Food