It's that easy Request Information
4.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Taste of the Wild provides a wide variety of quality wet & dry food options for dogs & cats. Taste of the Wild understand the importance of feeding quality food to your pets, which is why we are committed to strict quality and safety standards. Contact us today or visit our website to find out more about our products and where you can find them!

1107 Taste of the Wild Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I recently purchased several cans of the canned food and one can was sealed tight. However when I opened the container I found it to be only half full. Lot no is

59xym2-1242 exp. Date Jul 2021. I purchased the cans from Orscheln in Eldon MO.

Taste of the Wild response

Sorry to hear that. Thank you for providing the identifying batch. We will investigate.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My cats loved eating this food so I bought it until I started seeing illness in some adults and kittens. One 10 month old kitten suffered from what seemed like Inflammatory Bowel Disease symptoms which we (my vets and myself) could not cure, and she died (a piece of my heart went with her from this terrible death). An adult mother cat stopped suddenly nursing her 4 month old kittens crying and crying for unknown reasons. She looked swollen but no vets nor myself could figure out why. Nothing worked to solve this swelling problem (not antibiotics, not deworming). After the 10 month old kitten died and this swollen mother cat seemed ill, I changed this dry food. I replaced it with one that I had used before without problems of this sort. The swelling in the mother cat went away and she is doing great now. I cannot in all honesty recommend this food.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My dogs have been eating this food since June 4, 2019. My female dog is 5 and was recently diagnosed with ADVANCED DCM and a heart murmur. I had no idea the FDA was investigating Limited Ingredient and Grain Free foods until this happened. The cardiologist told me she has so many cases of this. Look up FDA/Grain free, Tufts University and grain free, CVCA website - grain free - I now belong to a group on FB for DCM and there are MANY people who have fed this dog food to their dogs and are suffering the same fate for their family. I will be testing my other dog as well. They often do not show symptoms. If your dog has been eating this or other grain free food get them tested. Some cases can be turned around with nutrition and meds. The company is taking NO responsibility.

Taste of the Wild response
We are so sorry to hear of the DCM diagnosis. Please know, that while the FDA is studying any potential connection between grain-free diets and DCM, no direct links have been made. We are continuing to monitor updated research results from the FDA and researchers and are working with the FDA because our top priority is to provide all pets with quality, safe food that meets all federal and state regulatory guidelines.DCM is much more common in large dogs (greater than 50 pounds) than small dogs.
• According to Dr. John Rush, a veterinary cardiologist, certain breeds such as Great Danes, German shepherds, Irish wolfhounds, Newfoundlands and St. Bernards are at risk, while boxers and Doberman Pinschers are predisposed to the disease. In addition to the above breeds, Cocker spaniels and Portuguese water dogs may also develop forms of the disease.
• In recent research published by Dr. Joshua Stern, DCM in golden retrievers was often associated with taurine deficiency.

• According to Tufts University’s Petfoodology blog, 10 to 15% of dogs will develop some form of heart disease in their lives. Dr. Rush has indicated DCM as the second most common cause of congestive heart failure in dogs

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

This dog food keeps my dogs healthy, alert, with very little body fat, coats are shiny, and they are happy. My English bulldog is not a couch potato because of Taste Of The Wild. I would not feed anything else as far as kibble goes for my dogs, My Pet store always keep s a good variety.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I've been feeding my dog this food for a 3-4 years. He has tolerated it and I've had no interest in changing his food. Recently, the recipe was changed. Unfortunately, I found this out after my dog became ill with pancreatitis. My dog's vet said that this often happens when an older dog's food is changed. My poor baby is very sick and may not survive. I don't recommend this brand.

Taste of the Wild response

So sorry to hear about your dog developing pancreatitis. I wanted to let you know that the recipes have NOT changed. In almost all cases of pancreatitis the etiology (cause) is never determined. However, the classic ingestion of a high-fat meal ( think Thanksgiving turkey with skin and fat and the dog gets in the trashcan) is a well-accepted etiology. Some medications can also cause pancreatitis. TOTW has the same fat content as other commercial dog food recipes. We are happy to speak to your vet, if you would like, so we can clear up any miscommunication/misunderstanding on his/her side. Truly hope your dog pulls through!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I work at a pet boarding facility and we happen to sell this on our shelves. I did a little (not enough) research and thought my dog would love this. He is a 3.5 year old, 80 pound Golden Retriever/German Shepherd mix. Has never been sick aside from kennel cough from the shelter when we adopted him at the age of 1 year old. First, I grabbed a sample bag, which he loved, even our four month old yorkiepoo was raving about the smell. My dog enjoyed it and so I went and purchased the 15 lb bag.

Just over a week later, my dog is not himself. He wouldn’t eat or drink any water. I came home from work one day and he vomited 6 times, pooped inside (he does not EVER have accidents) and wouldn’t even drink water. He threw up a few times prior, but I didn’t think too much of it. Assumed he was adjusting. We went to the vet right after and he was given 4 different medications for GI. The x-rays showed A LOT of gas in his belly. He still barely even interested in rice and chicken. Hasn’t pooped for two days now.

I am usually very particular about what my dogs consume. If I fed this brand to our puppy, I don’t believe he would have been lucky, considering he’s 4 months and about 3 pounds. And I do not even want a response from TOTW! They just write people off and it’s disgusting. Show some genuine concern when your food has been killing dogs. If this food works for your pup, still be precautionary because so have some other dogs who are now in doggy heaven!

Taste of the Wild response
Sorry to hear that. What exactly was your vet’s diagnosis and what medications were prescribed? As far as the source of the gas, most gas is ingested. It may be due to ingestion of air because of an aggressive eating behavior. Dogs can 'wolf' their food and then colic because of the excess ingested gas. Ingested gas is room air (79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen, CO2 and other minor gasses). Nitrogen is poorly soluble, so it sticks around.

Gas may accumulate because of obstruction (foreign body, etc) or because of poor tone. Poor tone may be caused by peritoneal inflammation (such as pancreatitis). I imagine your employer must have good luck with TOTW or they wouldn't sell it. I don't want to trivialize what you and your dog have been through, but we do sell over 40,000 bags a week, so I imagine any issues with the food would result in hundreds, if not thousands, of new reports of sick dogs everyday

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

We have two dogs, 5 and 3, that have eaten Taste of the Wild exclusively since about 2 months old. Over the last few months all of a sudden they are having intermittent vomiting and diarrhea problems. The only thing they eat is Taste of the Wild brand - no table food - with occasional plain yogurt & pumpkin with digestive upset. There have been no changes in their lives. There must be some change in the recipe to be making them sick. What is another brand that may be a similar substitute to switch their diet?

Taste of the Wild response

I am sorry to hear that your dogs are having trouble with intermittent digestive upset. We have a veterinary team that would be happy to talk to you about the situation.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My dog absolutely loves Taste of the Wild! She loves that there are so many different flavors for her to choose from, and I love that it’s sold at a reasonable price. We like to try the different flavors so she can try different things. I would highly recommend this product to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I own a wolf hybrid and I will not use any other product for her. Taste of the Wild has quality ingredients that I trust. My dog is happy and healthy thanks to this brand! We have used a ton of different flavors, and use the canned food as well.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have used Taste of the Wild dog food to supplement home cooked foods for my dogs for years. About a month ago, my schools started having bloody diarrhea and vomiting. I had just purchased a new bag of Taste of the Wild. The dog went to the vet and was diagnosed with pancreatitis. After 2 days with the vet, he came home and has required a lot of care and home cooking. Our second dog then started vomiting excessively (10 times in an hours, not bloody). I removed flea collars from both dogs and washed the dogs. (Collars were a month old, but I wanted to eliminate any possibility.) I put them back on chicken and rice solely. Both got better. I fed a bit of Taste of the Wild the past few days and my Schnoodle is vomiting and lethargic again. What is in this dog food?

Taste of the Wild response

I’m sorry to hear about the pancreatitis. Your vet probably explained that most cases of pancreatitis are idiopathic (cause unknown). One exception to this is the exposure to organophosphates. Depending on which brand of flea collar you used, the collar may be the cause. It takes a good week for the gastrointestinal cells to regenerate after a GI upset, so switching back from a bland diet like you made, too soon, can be too much for the system and result in GI signs again. Nonetheless we would love to be able to do an internal investigation into your batch. We retain samples from each batch and assess them. Please email the production code from the back of the back to CustomerService@tasteofthewildpetfood.com

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been feeding my dogs Taste of the Wild for about four years, and now my one dog has DCM. She is a pitbull, which isn't a breed that typically gets this disease. My vet informed me that grain free diets, like Taste of the Wild can lower taurine levels and cause this deadly disease. I hope nobody else has to see their dog in a state of congestive heart failure (she is alive). So I had to switch foods (vets orders), to one that includes grains, and I hope this didn't affect my other dog.

Taste of the Wild response

I’m glad your dog is getting treated. The puzzle regarding taurine and DCM, is unfortunately, far from being solved. Taurine is an amino acid. There is no requirement for dog food to have taurine since people and dogs make it from the amino acid precursors, cysteine and methionine. We add taurine to all of the TOW recipes, so that if a dog has difficulty making or assimilating taurine, it is available for them from the food. I certainly don’t want to trivialize what you and your dog have gone thru but I believe to date out of the 89.7 million dogs in the US, less than 200 have been reported to the FDA

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have had nothing but a positive experience with this brand. When I adopted my puppy at 16 weeks old, she was underweight and had a tapeworm. We’ve been through the wringer with her digestive issues. She seemed to always have soft stools and stomach gurgling. We went through 3 different brands, some with grain, some grain free and it was always the same - soft smelly stools and still underweight. The tapeworm was gone and the vet said it would just take time for her to put on weight. But something just seemed off to me.

I decided to try a food with no poultry ingredients and started her on the Pacific Steam puppy recipe. Her stools firmed up right away. She was on that for a while, and then we got a sample of the PREY line. Her stools got even better. She has been on the Beef recipe for a few weeks and is doing so well. It’s the first time since we’ve had her that she’s had consistently healthy stools. Her skin biting has stopped too. I will continue feeding this food for a long time!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have a 10 yo Lab and a 2 yo Lab-Chow mix. Both are very high energy dogs and require over 30% protein and at least 18% fat in their diet, or they begin to lose weight like crazy. Being in college, I couldn't afford anything too special, so I had them both on Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 ($56 for a 50 lbs. bag) and they were doing well. But I really didn't like that there were so many fillers in it. I had previously tried them on a grain-free food (Wholeheartedly), but they both had gastrointestinal issues, even though I had introduced it slowly.

So I really did my research and I found that TOTW High Prairie was grain-free and had 32% protein. Looking at just the price, it is one of the most affordable grain-free brands. I go through a 30 lbs. bag in about a month between the two of them ($48 at Chewy.com or $46 with autoship). My dogs love the taste so much that my younger dog would spit out the old food and just eat the TOTW as we were transitioning over. I'm very happy with the food quality and my dogs haven't had any issues and LOVE the food.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We have a Bichon and a Puggle and have been using TOTW lamb for the past 8 months because all other dog food we purchased before affected the Bichon with allergies and it has since cleared up. We just purchased a new bag this week and the dogs are eating like there's no tomorrow. Was there a recipe change on this food recently???

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We have been feeding our dog Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Lamb Formula for 2 years. She has had rare instances of vomiting in the past, including one day where she was sick multiple times. She recovered from that incident and seemed fine. However, this past Monday we needed an emergency vet visit (including tests and x-rays) after we opened a new bag of TOTW Sierra Mountain Lamb Formula and the dog became violently ill. She threw up at least six times and was excessively thirsty (leading to an accident in the house, which has not happened since the week she was adopted 12/2016). Our vet told us after a 2 1/2 hour exam that our dog's GI tract was severely inflamed and we needed to stop her normal diet immediately (not only to give the GI tract a chance to heal, but to stop any possible tainted food from entering her system).

I contacted Taste of the Wild and they continue to insist that there's "no other complaints" in our area with this formula. I offered to send them back a sample of the food and they have not responded at all in my repeat inquiries asking where to send the sample. To top it off, I got a rather rude email from their "vet" Dr. **, who wrote, "it is not uncommon in dogs or people to feel a bit of nausea or disinterest associated with what we or they last ate. I’ve never felt the same about mac and cheese since college." Seriously? This is a person you employ to correspond with customers with sick animals?

My dog may need to be on a bland diet for another 7-10 days and she needs more tests, possibly including an ultrasound. If this is food related, everyone needs to know. And since TOTW won't test the sample, I'm sending it a friend of mine who works to uncover consumer affairs for a national news outlet. They are in a year-long study on byproducts and waste in dog foods and more than willing to test it for me.

Taste of the Wild response

We hope your dog is improving, it sounds like it has been a very stressful time for everyone. We have a list of AAFCO (American Association of Feed Control Officials) approved pet food testing labs we would be happy to provide you if you would like. The reason we don't bring samples of food back into the plants for testing is because of fear of contamination.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I absolute love this brand of food. The Bison formula is where it’s at for my two pooches. Lexi, and Rex my two 3 year old Presa-Canario (brother and sister) has skin allergies. Therefore, I am very picky and careful about what I feed them. A lot of food makes their belly upset, and then they are in and out all night long. But, once I switched Lexi and Rex over to this grain-free Bison formula, they don’t have upset bellies. Although, they prefer the Bison flavour, the store I normally go to (FarmNFleet) was out of the Bison. I did not want to switch the brand, so I tried a different taste. We tried the Salmon... Nope, not for my dogs. They were having accidents left and right, and they never have accidents in the house. So, there goes that, Bison we stay with. :) Thanks Taste of the Wild!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My cat was having trouble going to the bathroom & I was trying to find a cat food, which was Organic & had No Artificial Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Artificial Flavors. That's "NOT" an easy task, for animal or human food, etc.! There are words which mean the above, but the fronts & small print on labels claim to be free of the above. You "ALWAYS" need to "CAREFULLY READ" all ingredients in the "INGREDIENTS LABEL". A Food Ingredients Label should "NEVER CONTAIN" the words "ENRICHED", "BLEACHED", "REDUCED CALORIE" OR "LOW FAT"!

I had come across Taste of the Wild (was using dry food then) & liked the ingredients & bought it (I always bought the big bag, ("WHICH ISN'T LOCATED WITH THE SMALL BAG"). Gave it to my cat & after eating it for a couple of days, started being able to go to the bathroom again. It's higher priced than some brands (but "not as high" as others), but worth the price, if you have the money. Taste of the Wild Dog & Cat Food can be purchased at Tractor Supply. If you do not have one close to you, you could always go to there website & they do have a Facebook page. Thank you to the makers of Taste of the Wild!!

No response received
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My dog became very ill eating this food, at first he just quit eating it, so I had the sense to change his food, then it was used as a treat at a Doggie bootcamp, and he became very ill, severe gastroenteritis - what in the hell would do that? Then my son fed his 4 month puppy TOTW puppy food, same thing in just a couple days, took days to switch foods, pumpkin, rice, and chicken to get his inside put back together. What are you putting in that food? My guess would be pesticides? Heavy Metals? Melamine? I have never seen anything like it, it's like slowly poisoning your dog, BEWARE.

Hi,
Sorry to hear about the sick pooches. Please tell me more about your dog-name, breed and age. Has he been eating TOTW for quite some time? Which recipe were you feeding when this happened? As far as your son's puppy, may I have the answers to the same questions as to your dog's? In selling over 40,000 bags of TOTW every day, the last thing we want is for dogs to be ill. We do not add any pesticides, metals or melamine. In fact, the opposite, our suppliers are held to a very high standard. Semis are not able to unload ingredients until we test it upon arrival to our plants. If, after we test, the ingredients are not found worthy, the whole load is rejected.

Dr. Heldman

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have had my dogs, and I have 7, on Taste of the Wild Prey Limited Ingredient Angus Beef. I was so excited to see this come into the store. I shop Tractor Supply. I have been buying it weekly since it became available, as it is new, so new Chewy didn't have it when I tried to order it, and have noticed that after I dump the food into my plastic container with sealed lid, in the house. I am finding at least 1 snail in the container. I at first, thought, no way, it's not in the food. How would it survive? But I have consistently gotten a snail in the last 4 or 5 bags!

I am concerned, as I have a boxer with digestive issues and skin issues that me and the vet have been going crazy trying to diagnose, and am now POSITIVE the snail is in the bag of food, that possibly this is what is going on for him. I don't know how snails would affect a dog, or what them crawling around in the bag would do to the food but it really has me upset, as I thought I was giving my dogs the best of the best. I also have been doing research on lentils and heart disease. I have been advised to switch my dog food to something without lentils. By my vet!! I am switching Tuesday. Why oh why can't I find a dog food that is completely great for my dog without having to have a Masters in nutrition. I do know, that I will be emailing Diamond about the snails!!

Hello,
I hope your Boxer is doing better. Sorry to hear about the presence of life in the food.I want to discover the source. Are they slugs or snails? Snails have shells, if that helps. You buy it from Tractor Supply and then, where do you store it once you get it home? Thanks

Dr Heldman

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have found Taste of the Wild High Prairie a great food source for our dogs. They maintain a good weight and nice coats. We do mix a bit of canned food with their meal, but they will eat it dry as well. I would and have recommended Taste of the Wild to friends.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Since adopting our ex-racing greyhound, Winston, four year ago, we have been feeding him Taste of the Wild while trying to "heal" his gut from the terrible food he received at the track. He loves the high protein diet and has been able to maintain his lean, muscular profile. We now have our Chihuahua eating it too!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

My little buddy had developed very bad diarrhea from a competitor brand. Started over with a bland food diet. Got some high plains TOTW... I have never seen my dogs coat so shiny and him so excited to eat every meal! He licks his bowl clean every time. Before he would always have a dog food crust ring around the bowl from the competitor brand... we know who that is... ;-) Best thing I've done lately for my best friend! He deserves it!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Our precious Bailey is one happy dog! Since we first tried it, he has always enjoyed "Taste of the Wild" dog food and that's now exactly the only one he always gets! He truly seems to enjoy the variety of awesome flavors, too! Plus, praise God, his digestive system and overall health seem good (and we would think that has to be attributed to the goodness in his dog food).

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Dry cat food - I got three male kittens at the shelter. Since I know that a possible problem with male cats is urinary blockage, I asked my vet what I should feed them. She recommended Taste of the Wild, and told me she has her own cats on it. The boys love it! No health problems. Their stool is formed, no diarrhea. They will be on it for life.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Solid poops. Dog doesn't like the flavors too much but solid poops every time. Tried all the flavors and he doesn't seem to like most of them unfortunately. But ever since I switched to this dog food I have never had a problem with his poop. That is why I keep buying this food.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

This dog food is high quality, my staffy Boris loves it and is healthy as it gets. I love being able to rely on a dog food and not have to question or worry about the quality of ingredients. Boris loves the wetlands flavor, I highly recommend this product, your dogs deserve it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I used to make our dogs food weekly to avoid the grains and fillers found in other dog foods, but Taste of the Wild provides the high-quality nutrition I want for her without all of the labor. We also feed our cat Taste of the Wild cat food. He was on a prescription food when we adopted him, but took to Taste of the Wild immediately and hasn't had the kidney and other issues that required him to eat the expensive prescription stuff! We highly recommend this pet food for anyone looking for high quality, grain free solutions for their pets.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have a pitbull and two Frenchies, they are all at different stages in their lives so it makes buying food for them a little difficult. However Taste of the Wild has been our go to for the past 8 years and all three of them love this brand. It’s super affordable and they gobble it up like it’s going out of style!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Our little Mountain Feist (a terrier breed), Sadie loves the Appalachian Valley Small Breed Grain-free! She's four years old, healthy, and feisty as ever. She has regular bowel movements. We're part of the 14 lb. bag loyalty program and excited to get our free bag soon. Taste of the Wild has specialized food for all types, sizes and ages of dog.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Good quality and choice of grain free food. Just a bit pricey. Would like to see more choice of meat alone food and no potato or peas added. A bit more gravy would enhance the flavor of the can food with the dry food. Need coupons to buy more can food.

Taste of the Wild expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.

• Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.

• Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.

• Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.

• Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Taste of the Wild Company Information