2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.28/5

Taste of the Wild is a pet food company that uses premium ingredients and no additives. The company offers a wide variety of pet food flavors and has specific formulas for pets in different life stages or with dietary restrictions.

BOTTOM LINE

Taste of the Wild offers premium dog food at an affordable price. While it’s still more expensive than some other brands, its natural ingredients and quality assurance make it stand out.

PROS

• No additives
  • Variety of flavors
  • Premium ingredients
  • Quality assurance

CONS

• Not widely available
  • More expensive

Top Taste of the Wild Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Our dog Baxter has severe food allergies. It took us a while to find a good dog food that he could actually eat! Baxter loves Taste of the Wild… Thank you Taste of the Wild for keeping our boy healthy and happy!

I have a 11.5 year-old female Standard Poodle. ... I was delighted when I saw the limited, non-GMO ingredients on Prey Turkey formula and decided to try her on it 2 years ago. Much to my amazement, she ate it quickly and felt good on it....

Taste of the Wild Shop on Chewy

Taste of the Wild dog food

What is Taste of the Wild dog food?

Taste of the Wild dog food offers high-quality meals based on each pet’s natural diet. All formulas are made with real meat, including wild boar, smoked salmon, roasted duck and venison, to create a tastier and heartier bowl of food for puppies and dogs. In addition to natural ingredients, formulas include probiotics and are free of all artificial colors, preservatives and flavors.

For a more simpler, Taste of the Wild also offers a PREY formula that has minimal ingredients. Other pet food product lines include:

• Taste of the Wild puppy food
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - dry
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - wet
  • Grain-free
  • Senior formula
  • Pregnant or nursing blend

How does Taste of the Wild work?

Taste of the Wild dog food is designed to give pets a better food option inspired by the protein sources animals are meant to eat, meaning ones they ate when they were wild. The goal is to provide the vitality that nature intended.

Taste of the Wild sources all ingredients from high-quality vendors that share the same purpose and mission to provide ingredients without fillers, preservatives or artificial flavors. All meats are USDA-inspected and -approved and certified antibiotic free.

Customers can choose from a wide variety of flavors, formulas and types of pet food with Taste of the Wild. Because the benefits are similar across the formulas, most people choose based on which meat product their pet prefers.

Taste of the Wild prices

Taste of the Wild is sold by online retailers and in stores, but not through the company's website. Because of this, prices may vary between stores. In general, Taste of the Wild dog food costs around $13.99 for a five-pound bag and $48.99 for a 28-pound bag. Prices don’t differ between meats or flavors, just by size of the bag. Wet dog food costs about $2.30 per 13.2-ounce can. Some vendors, including Chewy and Petco, provide discounts for customers who subscribe for repeat deliveries.

Taste of the Wild FAQ

Is Taste of the Wild grain free?
The original Taste of the Wild and Taste of the Wild PREY formulas are grain free. The Ancient Grains line includes grains.
Who owns Taste of the Wild?
Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond Pet Foods, which is owned by Schell and Kampeter Inc., a pet food manufacturer with plants across the United States.
Is Taste of the Wild AAFCO approved?
Yes, Taste of the Wild foods are AAFCO approved.
How much is Taste of the Wild dog food?
Taste of the Wild costs about $49 for the biggest available size, which is a 28-pound bag.

Is Taste of the Wild good dog food?

For customers who want a more natural food for their pets, Taste of the Wild is a great option. Its flavors and formulas are designed to mimic the ingredients and nutrients animals would receive in the wild. Prices are fairly comparable to other brands but still a bit more expensive than lower-tier dog food. With the company's strict control system and close relationship with suppliers, Taste of the Wild works hard to ensure its customers receive high-quality dog food.

Taste of the Wild Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I got a mutt that looks like a pit bull and Lab mix. We know she's part pit bull because she has that frame, but she's a little leaner. She was a stray, so we estimated that she was about eight months old at the time. She might be a little less than four years now. She's a pet and I just her to be healthy. Taste of the Wild was the one that had the lowest amount of carbs that was widely available and I've exclusively used that. I started out with the one that was mainly venison, a forest style one, but then I switched to the Southwest because it uses more pork and garbanzo beans.

I've noticed my dog gain a bit of weight, but I can't say it's attributable to the dog food because we have a three year old who is constantly hooking her up with extra food. To be fair, we sometimes hook her up too, so she may be about five pounds overweight, but she's in great health. She has a ton of energy, so it helps her maintain a high energy level and good joint health. She's a rock star on the Frisbee too.

I hope they are able to somehow formulate a total ketogenic ratio for dogs because I want my dog eating as few carbs as possible. I know it's tough to come up with that in a healthy formulation that's also maintaining a price point, but I'm happy with the results overall. I hope it contributes to her long-term health. I would recommend Taste of the Wild if you're going to get a food that's widely available that isn't like some high-end especially formulated super expensive dog food. It has a price point and it's a little bit higher than a lot of dog foods, but I appreciate the attention to the dog’s health.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I had owned a feed store and I carried Taste of The Wild at that time. We encouraged our customers to try it because it was good food. Up until then, they were one of our vendors that I carry the feed. So I'm still buying it from the feed store that we've sold to. I have also ordered it online through Chewy at one time but mainly, I like to support our own local feed stores in our local little town. So I try to give them the business instead of ordering online. I have also ordered it online through Chewy at one time but mainly, I like to support our own local feed stores in our local little town. So I try to give them the business instead of ordering online.

I'm using Taste of the Wild cat food for my 2 cats. I just buy a bag as I need them. I also feed another little kitty outside once in a while. I've been in a little program that has been set up for me. Although, once the other feed store closed, we had to start all over again. But Taste of the wild never runs out. I'm having trouble getting other items but not the Taste of the Wild.

x

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I'm a breeder and I had a male and female Bichon Frise. They're AKC so I let them have some litters, which they did. But now, I’ve decided to retire them. I’ve been using Taste of the Wild since 2016. It’s not that long but it’s a lot of bags of dog food. I would buy the puppy one also because the Bichon Frise would have hotspots every once in a while.

When I first got my female, I just used what they gave me. It wasn’t necessarily grain-free and she was chewing on one spot and she would pull all the hair off. So, when I found out that people were suggesting to go grain-free, that was when I first found the Taste of the Wild at the feed store. I tried that and she stopped immediately with the hot spots. Then when I got my male, I put him on grain-free. And when the puppies were born, I went to a puppy Taste of the Wild grain-free because I figured I'm gonna just start them out right with a grain-free. That was what I encouraged people who bought the puppies also and sent them specifically Taste of the Wild brands. I always sent them an extra bag full of it and a picture of what I was giving them and telling them where to get it.

I was buying the small breed adult grain-free Taste of the Wild and then when I bought the puppy, it turned out that the puppy was larger than the small breed adult. That was weird but I'm sure the nutrients were specifically for puppies, which was why I stayed with the puppy for them. But as I'm moving them to dry dog food away from nursing from the mother, I would wet it down with a puppy formula and then eventually just with water and let it soften up and then squish it up and make a gruel to feed the puppies with so they could get their teeth all in good. Then I would give the regular with the hard chunks. My adult dogs took the time that they would not eat the dry dog food unless I put water on it because they were used to trying to steal the puppies’ food and they wanted water with it just like for the puppies.

Now, it’s back down to the two of them and I have no puppies to worry about. I was using TOTW but it’s a little higher-priced so I tried NutriSource, which is grain-free also consisting of quail and duck. Even though I mixed it in slowly and got them used to it, when it was straight on that one, they threw it up, each one separately. So, I'm not gonna try to deter away from the Taste of the Wild anymore. I'll go back to buying that. I just bought a little bag. Overall, TOTW is good. I wish though that it has a grain-free for weight control.

Original review: June 24, 2020

We have been buying dog food from this place called DogSupplies.com. They have a warehouse in Huntersville, North Carolina and we've been dealing with them for 10 years. They recommended Taste of the Wild to us and we've been using it for less eight years now. So far, our dog is very healthy. He's got a little bit of hip dysplasia, but he's about 12 years old. I got him as a rescue when he was about two and he's like a puppy sometimes. He likes the different flavors. They used to tell you that if you're gonna change the food, you should give them half of the serving of the old food and half of the new, but we just go from the different flavors and he's fine. As long as it's food, he doesn't care.

I like that Taste of the Wild has a variety and he seems to like them all. He grew up on dry foods and the kibble is great. But it's got a higher protein in it than the other foods that we have been giving him. When we first started giving it to him, he was getting a cup twice a day and he put on about 8 or 10 pounds. The vet said that was a little bit too much, so our dog broke off a little from the protein. The vet said cut him back to a half a cup twice a day and that's what he gets.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I have a 90-pound purebred Akita and I have an 85-pound black Lab puppy. I've been using Taste of the Wild for quite a few years and it's been great so far. I like the protein content and the ratios were all really good. Taste of the Wild didn't seem they have a lot of fillers. My dogs eat a lot of food and I have an open bowl policy. I've never really had overweight dogs and that always seems to work out all right for me, so I just fill the bowl up when it's empty.

My Akita is an adult. She likes the waterfowl and she likes the boar the most. My puppy, on the other hand, is on the puppy venison one. I got the puppy after he was about four months old and he was on a cheap Purina type food. With Taste of the Wild, both of my dogs' coats have gotten noticeably softer and they are in good health. The Akita is 11 now and she's still kicking strong and doing the trick. The only thing with Taste of the Wild is it's expensive, but you pay for what you get. But I would like to see it be a little cheaper. I've spent over 100 bucks a month on dog food.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

We looked at the labels to see what was in Taste of the Wild. It's good food and it's competitively priced. We have two rescue dogs that are both chowhounds. We give them mostly the salmon formula and they both enjoy it. They seem healthy and happy. They are not show dogs nor are they anything special, but they are part of the family.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

When I got my dog, Taste of the Wild was the food she was on and I kept her on it. She liked the food. I ordered it from chewy.com. But my dog had to be put down so I'm not using it anymore.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

My experience recently has been less than enjoyable with Taste of the Wild. I left a review explaining how my 3 giant breed dogs loved your food. I explained that I had fed them this food for many years. When the review asked what you could do better, I was honest and questioned the lessening of volume and the rising of price. I was not rude, unprofessional or impolite. I received a prompt automated response stating that my review was not in compliance with policy and could not be posted.

I spent time sharing when asked by the automated emails, was truthful and was given no reason other than a "do not reply" email stating "no thank you". For this reason I have unsubscribed from all further advertising and now cannot honestly say I would recommend your food based on the way I felt I was treated. My dogs love your food and I feel it is still the healthy choice for them but the way your company treats loyal customers, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. These are my honest experiences and I am unsure if one email said my review was not acceptable. I do not know why I would receive another thanking me for my review. This will be interesting if this 1200+ character response also falls on deaf ears.

Taste of the Wild response
    Hi, Doug - Thank you for sharing your concern. Your experience matters to us, and we value your input. Upon further review, it looks as if your review was accepted on 12/21/20. We apologize for any errors which may have caused an original rejection email. We understand you had some concerns with cost. Please know, we, along with many others in the industry, have been faced with the reality of increased costs of raw ingredients and transportation. Because of this, Taste of the Wild implemented a minor price increase in 2019. The Taste of the Wild family will continue to look for ways to provide high-quality, yet affordable pet food options to pet parents. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/contact-us/.

- Taste of the Wild

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I was trying to find an alternative food to Canidae. I bought a giant bag of Taste of the Wild a year ago from a retailer called Pet Pals in Santa Cruz, California. It was highly recommended by Pet Pals. But I did not stick with Taste of the Wild and ended up abandoning the bag because it didn't work with my two cats. It was too big of a change. But I'd still tell a friend to try Taste of the Wild. It works out for somebody because it's a huge company. Marketing-wise, everything looks good on the product. The product itself was very wholesome with all the right ingredients.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

My dog seems to do very well with Taste of the Wild that's why I haven't switched that yet. What I'm looking for is high in protein so I go with the Wetlands then the one that has the bison on it.

Taste of the Wild Company Information