2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.37/5

Taste of the Wild provides a wide variety of quality wet & dry food options for dogs & cats. Taste of the Wild understand the importance of feeding quality food to your pets, which is why we are committed to strict quality and safety standards. Contact us today or visit our website to find out more about our products and where you can find them!

Taste of the Wild Shop on Chewy

Taste of the Wild Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: June 24, 2020

We have been buying dog food from this place called DogSupplies.com. They have a warehouse in Huntersville, North Carolina and we've been dealing with them for 10 years. They recommended Taste of the Wild to us and we've been using it for less eight years now. So far, our dog is very healthy. He's got a little bit of hip dysplasia, but he's about 12 years old. I got him as a rescue when he was about two and he's like a puppy sometimes. He likes the different flavors. They used to tell you that if you're gonna change the food, you should give them half of the serving of the old food and half of the new, but we just go from the different flavors and he's fine. As long as it's food, he doesn't care.

I like that Taste of the Wild has a variety and he seems to like them all. He grew up on dry foods and the kibble is great. But it's got a higher protein in it than the other foods that we have been giving him. When we first started giving it to him, he was getting a cup twice a day and he put on about 8 or 10 pounds. The vet said that was a little bit too much, so our dog broke off a little from the protein. The vet said cut him back to a half a cup twice a day and that's what he gets.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I started using Taste of the Wild in 2006. At the time, I had adopted a pit bull and he had wildly sensitive skin and hot spots. He was a year and a half old when I got him and he had a lot of sores through to his tail. I quickly started experimenting with different kinds of foods for him and I did some of the Pure Vita salmon for a little bit. But that was a little bit harder to find and only one place had it. I found that Taste of the Wild worked really well for him and it was a little bit more readily available. He stayed on Taste of the Wild his whole life then eventually, my cats had it as well. I prefer it for the dog that we have right now as well just because it fills him up better. He’s more content. It feels like a healthier alternative. Taste of the Wild is just a better food for my pets. I live in the Midwest now and around my house, there are not many good dog food. I like to drive to a good dog store and get a big bag from our local place.

But my dog developed an enlarged heart issue. There is a high fat and a high sodium content in the Taste of the Wild. It's higher than maybe other alternatives that may be recommend for a dog that is going into heart failure. I tried something new but my dog wasn’t happy with it so I just went back to Taste of the Wild. He only had a year left and I wanted him to be comfortable. I'd like to request that there be a heart-healthy Taste of the Wild in the market because I know that bigger dogs tend to have that issue.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Taste of the Wild is my dogs' favorite food. I've been using it for about eight years now. It's grain-free, and that obviously made a huge difference in their diet. The amount of food that you feed them is less compared to everybody else. Their feces is a lot harder than the other ones, which means they’re absorbing all the nutrients they can, and that's great. I had show dogs and their coat was better too. About two months after I switched them over to TOTW, I started getting best in show with them. They definitely love the original, yellow bag, the Buffalo, whereas my Pug loves the lamb. We tried all the different flavors, and he doesn’t like the Mountain one very much, but he’s all over the lamb. I feed him the daily dose but I cut it in half. So, I feed him in the morning about 10 minutes before we leave in the morning for work, and then about 50 minutes after we come home, then we’ll feed him his second half of his full dose.

Whenever we pick up the food, people always ask if it is really worth the price. I tell them my story, and they get the food too. Then the next time I see them, they tell me that I was right and TOTW is totally an amazing food. At work, if people are having issues with their dogs, I always tell them about the food. And then, they try it and their food issues go away.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I've been using Taste of the Wild for 17 months now. I have two dogs and they’re both on it. When I was first introduced to Taste of the Wild, that was when I have my first dog, my first Cane Corso. And with Cane Corsos, they need a certain percentage of raw meat, liver, bones or organs itself, and Taste of the Wild gave me a step above the normal dog food. I went with this brand because of the raw meat that’s actually mixed in with the food. To have my Cane Corso on a complete raw diet is pretty expensive. So, Taste of the Wild gave me the experience of having the mixture of the chicken with the actual raw food as well. So, I give my dogs a healthier diet.

I use the Absolute Taste of the Wild and I use Diamond as well. That with Diamond, I use a large breed because I have another dog I've just added to the family, which is an American Bully, and she's only 13 weeks. So, I wanted a dog food that my dogs could both eat. Some other dogs can't eat adult dog food, but adult dog can eat puppy food because of the nutrients and protein in it. My dogs pretty much liked the dog food from the start. The only thing is that it altered their bowels for a moment, but everything was pretty normal.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I want to say that the FDA is the same agency that has recommended Americans to eat more grains than protein and vegetables. Since this change we are fatter and more unhealthier than ever. So I don’t buy into this FDA report about grain-free dog food being a problem. It is the lobbyists and agency that is the problem here. Don’t you think that they would want to point our pets in the same direction if it meant the corn and wheat industries and their lobbyists would provide the right benefit $ to the agency in some form? Wake up People! Is your dog healthy? Mine is he has been eating TOTW HP and PS for 3 years and the puppy version before that. He has no health issues, his coat looks amazing, his eyes are bright and his nails grow the way they should. He is a show dog quality Belgian Malinois.

I chose this food because it was the best value for the best ingredients that I felt would benefit him. His diet is supplemented with all kinds of treats and meats - he is not a grain-free dog, but he is healthy and I trust a company that cares about making quality dog food over the agency that has been the primary reason for the decline of Americans' health. Just pointing out the obvious. So I hope that anyone that is using or considering TOTW looks at their own dog’s health instead of worry about a report from an untrustworthy government agency. With that said if they are having problems by all means work with your vet to find a solution. I am not a rep of TOTW and am not paid to be a voice of reason.

Original review: June 20, 2020

A friend of mine was working at a holistic pet shop. I also noticed that Taste of the Wild's rating was a 4 on a dog food site. My dog's been eating TOTW for quite some time and her health is pretty good. But TOTW needs to be more wildly available in the town, so it’s not hard to find. One of the shops I went to stopped selling it or kept being out-of-stock. When I switched over to a different food or flavor, my dog got sick. But that happens when you change your dog food on them suddenly.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I feed my dog Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream both dry and canned food. She really likes it and it is a healthier food. From the first day I gave her a little and mixed it with previous food to transition her over, she has always liked ithem both.

Original review: June 14, 2020

With my pet store, I was going through the different ingredients and deal on the back of each dog food trying to find one that was good for large breed puppies. Taste of the Wild was not advertised, but it was less expensive and looked better for large breed puppies than the ones that are advertised for them. Our Great Dane loved TOTW. It was amazing for her. I would switch to one flavor and then the next time, the other. She has passed though, and I can’t use TOTW for my husky because he’s allergic to it. He itches, like his paws go nuts and he's constantly chewing. We can’t give him anything that’s grain. We have all this leftover food and we went for it but immediately he started reacting.

Original review: June 13, 2020

I loved Taste of the Wild when I used it. I was very satisfied. I used other dog food but the reason I started using TOTW is I needed a grain-free food. I had a pit bull that got really super-itchy skin. After I used TOTW, he didn't have itchy skin. It's a little bit pricey though and after I started treating for cancer, I couldn't really afford it. I would switch back to another brand and instantly, my dog would get itchy. My friends started paying for me to get bags of TOTW because it helps my dog stay not itchy. I could switch my dogs between flavors of TOTW but their favorite was the one with bison. I'd always go back to that flavor.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I have a two-year-old Black Lab named buddy. He is my third Lab and my first puppy. I was just looking for a good food. He is pure-bred so I wanted him to start off right. When he came to me, he was on grain-free puppy chow. But when he went to adult food, I asked the vet what she would feed her dog. She told me she fed her dog Taste of the Wild, but only because she was my friend.

I decided that grain-free wasn’t always the best, so I went to the Pacific Stream ancient grain. We’re trying to keep the fat off of him. He doesn’t have any table food except for fresh fruits and vegetables to supplement and grain-free snacks. Buddy is very slender. He’s 77 pounds, but he’s lean. He’s in great shape. People compliment all the time that he’s really shiny and we don’t even bathe him or anything. Moreover, he doesn’t smell. He doesn’t have problems with anal glands or digestion in any way.

Taste of the Wild author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.

• Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.

• Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.

• Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.

• Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Taste of the Wild Company Information