3.9/5 (1371 ratings)

About Taste of the Wild

Taste of the Wild is a pet food company that uses premium ingredients and no additives. The company offers a wide variety of pet food flavors and has specific formulas for pets in different life stages or with dietary restrictions.

Pros

• No additives
  • Variety of flavors
  • Premium ingredients
  • Quality assurance

Cons

• Not widely available
  • More expensive

Bottom Line

Taste of the Wild offers premium dog food at an affordable price. While it’s still more expensive than some other brands, its natural ingredients and quality assurance make it stand out.

Top Taste of the Wild Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Our dog Baxter has severe food allergies. It took us a while to find a good dog food that he could actually eat! Baxter loves Taste of the Wild… Thank you Taste of the Wild for ke...

Verified

I have a 11.5 year-old female Standard Poodle. ... I was delighted when I saw the limited, non-GMO ingredients on Prey Turkey formula and decided to try her on it 2 years ago. Muc...

Taste of the Wild dog food

What is Taste of the Wild dog food?

Taste of the Wild dog food offers high-quality meals based on each pet’s natural diet. All formulas are made with real meat, including wild boar, smoked salmon, roasted duck and venison, to create a tastier and heartier bowl of food for puppies and dogs. In addition to natural ingredients, formulas include probiotics and are free of all artificial colors, preservatives and flavors.

For a more simpler, Taste of the Wild also offers a PREY formula that has minimal ingredients. Other pet food product lines include:

• Taste of the Wild puppy food
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - dry
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - wet
  • Grain-free
  • Senior formula
  • Pregnant or nursing blend

How does Taste of the Wild work?

Taste of the Wild dog food is designed to give pets a better food option inspired by the protein sources animals are meant to eat, meaning ones they ate when they were wild. The goal is to provide the vitality that nature intended.

Taste of the Wild sources all ingredients from high-quality vendors that share the same purpose and mission to provide ingredients without fillers, preservatives or artificial flavors. All meats are USDA-inspected and -approved and certified antibiotic free.

Customers can choose from a wide variety of flavors, formulas and types of pet food with Taste of the Wild. Because the benefits are similar across the formulas, most people choose based on which meat product their pet prefers.

Taste of the Wild prices

Taste of the Wild is sold by online retailers and in stores, but not through the company's website. Because of this, prices may vary between stores. In general, Taste of the Wild dog food costs around $13.99 for a five-pound bag and $48.99 for a 28-pound bag. Prices don’t differ between meats or flavors, just by size of the bag. Wet dog food costs about $2.30 per 13.2-ounce can. Some vendors, including Chewy and Petco, provide discounts for customers who subscribe for repeat deliveries.

Taste of the Wild FAQ

Is Taste of the Wild grain free?
The original Taste of the Wild and Taste of the Wild PREY formulas are grain free. The Ancient Grains line includes grains.
Who owns Taste of the Wild?
Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond Pet Foods, which is owned by Schell and Kampeter Inc., a pet food manufacturer with plants across the United States.
Is Taste of the Wild AAFCO approved?
Yes, Taste of the Wild foods are AAFCO approved.
How much is Taste of the Wild dog food?
Taste of the Wild costs about $49 for the biggest available size, which is a 28-pound bag.

Is Taste of the Wild good dog food?

For customers who want a more natural food for their pets, Taste of the Wild is a great option. Its flavors and formulas are designed to mimic the ingredients and nutrients animals would receive in the wild. Prices are fairly comparable to other brands but still a bit more expensive than lower-tier dog food. With the company's strict control system and close relationship with suppliers, Taste of the Wild works hard to ensure its customers receive high-quality dog food.

Taste of the Wild Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

My black lab loves Taste of the Wild. She gets fed twice a day. She'll take any flavor with grain or without grain. She's pretty much addicted to it. Her coat is shining. Her bowel movements are regular as a result. So, I feel like she likes it, but also, I can tell the difference in her body. Our vet also recommended it, which also makes me feel better. That was a good vote of confidence. We've been really pleased.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

I got Pitbulls and Bullies and they have had litters probably twice a year in the last four years. People should use Taste of the Wild. Most of my family use it during the puppy stages and they usually sell the puppies at eight weeks. Occasionally, I give buyers a small bag of TOTW when they buy the puppy and take them home. I tell them that the puppy should be eating that for almost nine months to a year. I add a little water and I use the blue bag. Eating TOTW helps the digestive tract, the muscle intake and the diet. Generally, when the puppies eat the cheaper food, their bowels are soft and running. But when they eat TOTW and better dog foods, they have a solid one.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I had a little Miniature Schnauzer and I always gave her grain-free dog food but I liked to change her diet up a little bit once in a while. I used a combination of wet dog food. Taste of the Wild was a good quality food and the dog ate it and liked it. It kept her healthy because she was 18 years old. Also, the price was good and I liked the bag it was in.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

We used Taste of the Wild for years and years for a couple of dogs and then for a reason, our breeder had us get off of it for a while and go with a Purina one. I recently came back and I’m on my second bag now since I’ve gotten back to it. I used the puppy formula when the dogs started and I switched around. I used the one with the bison but I don’t do too much with the ones with the fish. We've got Springer Spaniels and they've all been healthy as horses. The dogs like it and I have no complaints. We’ve been happy with Taste of the Wild.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have been feeding Taste of the Wild to my dog and cat for many years. They both love their food... and I like that it is grain free and the ingredients are real food. My cat ate both dry and wet but I cannot find the wet so I had to make a change but she is still on the dry and loves it. Both keep their weight where it should be.. have plenty of energy and seem healthy.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

My dog enjoys this dog food. He will not just take any kind. I look for what is in it and the first ingredient is. He is also picky on the treats we give him. I hope this is better to be picky than to take anything.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

For many years, I have fed my beagle Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. He liked it (of course, beagles will eat almost anything) and it gave him a lustrous coat. It also was recommended by friends. But the last two bags (well within their expiration date) have been problematic. One bag contained oil at the bottom of the bag. I threw the rest of the dog food away. The second bag also had oily food at the bottom. When I tasted it, it was very salty, which explained why my dog was drinking so much after eating. Very suddenly, my dog became very sick, with extreme lethargy, loss of appetite and vomiting. The vet reported bad liver enzyme levels. I am very distressed and concerned that the dog food may have caused the problems.

Taste of the Wild response

Update- We are glad that Loper got over his nonspecific illness and that he's still enjoying eating Taste of the Wild

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

Taste of the Wild was recommended as a premium pet food with good ingredients, and we've been using it for our dog for 8 years. He has good energy and is healthy according to the vet. He has a very nice coat too.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

Taste of the Wild was very easy to order and it came very quickly. Nothing could have gone better. Everything was perfect. The dog food that we ordered was a low protein 'cause our 15 year old dog's kidneys are having issues. Our dog is also a little sensitive, so we put a little water with it and it softened it and then she ate it.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Our Corgi seemed to be fine when we fed her Taste of The Wild. But she had liver problems and we had to take her off.

Taste of the Wild Company Information