Taste of the Wild

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My GSD has been on Taste of the Wild since I brought him home as a puppy. With a new bag he suddenly developed digestion problems, allergy problems, skin problems. Many trips to the vet and several tried medications. It wasn't until I took him off TOTW dog food that anything helped. They have changed SOMETHING and it is dangerous. Facebook is full of similar reviews.

Recently switched both my German shepherd and blue heeler to the High Prairie Venison one in February. They seemed to really enjoy it and their coats ears and poops all looked good. Two weeks ago beginning in April we opened a new bag with a batch date of February 20th, 2018, of the Wetlands bag and they have both been reluctant to eat it and we've been forcing them to eat it. Recently our heeler started puking, exhibiting signs of not feeling well and flat out refusing to eat at all. Was able to see many similar stories on Facebook all around the same batch date of other people's dogs having the same or similar issues. Contacted our food carrier and switching the food immediately after some had signs of organ failure.

My West Highland Terrier was recently fed Taste of the Wild dog food. He got very sick with diarrhea and had strong urine, which I suspect was kidney distress. This lasted 2 weeks and then he lost half his hair due to chewing and hot spots. He also stopped eating for 4 days. He is just now getting better and is back eating his raw diet. I'm giving him Wild Alaskan fish oil and bathing him in Neem oil shampoo. He has developed Demodex mange because Taste of the Wild compromised his immune system and almost killed him. His skin is turning black in spots so I'm going to start giving him oregano oil capsules. Taste of the Wild should have issued a recall by now. What's wrong with these people! My Westie was fed the venison/bison blend. I tried to get my local pet store to take it off their shelves but they were not interested until a recall is issued. I will call the company directly tomorrow.

ATTN TASTE OF THE WILD USERS!!! I don't know how many saw my post about my Chief developing acute pancreatitis but I'M HERE TO WARN YOU!!! He came off of his prescription food a few days ago and I slowly switched him back to TOTW - the mucus is BACK AND I AM FURIOUS!!! Look at the VERY RECENT REVIEWS from others OF THE SAME THING HAPPENING TO THEIR BABIES!!! IF you've had problems PLEASE, PLEASE call 1-800-977-8797!! Calling this number is the only way they will investigate!!! I'm DONE with this food and will NEVER purchase it again!!!

I've been feeding my 2 dogs TOTW (various flavors) for 4 years and it has been great. However, the last batch has been iffy. Both my dogs have been throwing up and did repeatedly over a period of 2 weeks. I finally decided that it could be due to the food and switched them to a different bag. No throw-ups in last 2 days. If anything changes, I will come back and change this review. But I think there are quality issues with recent batches of TOTW adult dog food. The flavor in question (in my case) is Wild Boar.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

I don't know if my dog's death was a result of him eating TOTW but all the symptoms are very similar to the posts on this site recently. My dog became sick on Thursday. He was lethargic, wasn't eating all of his food, and had a good amount of eye mucus. He also coughed as if he needed to vomit but never actually did. Friday he was worse, he slept almost the entire day (which he never did). I was unsure of what was wrong but assumed it was a sickness and he would get better. On Saturday he seemed better but didn't eat any of his food. He passed away lying next to me on the couch without any signs of struggling. He was around 11 years old so he was getting to the end of his life but there were no warning signs before the signs of sickness Thursday and his death on Saturday. I haven't contacted the company yet but I will be doing so tomorrow!

We have been giving our pet TOTW for a while but recently, well last two days he has been almost lethargic and foul diarrhea, looks very skinny and has become weak. Took him to the vet and blood results show elevated liver enzymes, nothing has changed in diet. We were told maybe it can be his food.

My Boston Terrier has been eating Taste of the Wild for 6 years now. I just got a fresh bag and since she has been eating she has completely liquid diarrhea and has been vomiting. Going to try giving her different food to see if she gets better. I am assuming the new bag has something wrong with it. Feb. 18, 2018 is the best buy date and roasted fowl is the flavor. If anyone else is having problems with the same food I would like to know.

Around the end of February/beginning of March my golden retriever became critically sick, very lethargic. Took her to my primary vet, tests showed extreme edema, anemia, enlarged organs, elevated liver enzymes, elevated CPK. Transferred to a Vet Hospital ER, required blood transfusion, IV fluids to stabilize. She spent a week there in 24/7 treatment for possible autoimmune mediated disease, possible bacterial infection, but not diagnosis yet after a lot of tests. She's still very sick dog, lost a lot of weight, relapsing. She eats TOTW, thought I would google TOTW complaints on the improbable chance someone else is experiencing this, and I find all this! Hope it's not too late. Just called the hospital, will contact the company tomorrow. Hoping she'll pull through but she's in serious condition.

I was glad to find this site. Our lab puppy had been eating Taste of the Wild Puppy food. It seemed to be going well for a few months. Last week (new bag) she stopped eating the dog food entirely... lethargic, weepy eyes, skin warm to the touch. Very very unlike her. But no loose stools, no vomiting. After a few days I decided to return to a mixture of puppy food and rice. She loves rice. She would eat around the food and just eat the rice. Finally after reading other reviews on this site, I returned her to a chicken and rice diet. She immediately ate everything and did the same this morning. We are switching brands. A friend of mine with a small dog also used this brand regularly and said that in the past month her dog started throwing up and eating less often. She also will be changing brand after reading the March 2017 reviews.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I took my dog to the vet after switching his dog food (he stopped throwing up after I did that) and did complete bloodwork and exam. Aside from high kidney values, he is doing well. I contacted TOTW Dr. ** and they are going to test my food sample. I encourage everyone to contact TOTW so any issue can be identified. It seems to be just random off bags out of the many thousands that are fine, so please contact them so your food can be traced otherwise they do not know what to test. I do not have the bag but will mail my sample in.

Vikki of Los Lunas, NM on

Original Review

I am having vomiting and problems with my now 4 year old Heeler/Shepherd and Taste of The Wild High Prairie (Bison) dry dog food. He has eaten it happily without issue for years, and the new bag is definitely the problem. I see other recent similar complaints here. I filed an adverse report with FDA and am taking him to the vet tomorrow. I gave him some of my pom's toy breed food and he did not vomit, so this leads me to think it is this new bag of TOTW.

UPDATED ON 04/21/2017: I took my dog to the vet after switching his dog food (he stopped throwing up after I did that) and did complete bloodwork and exam. Aside from high kidney values, he is doing well. I contacted TOTW directly, and they are going to test my food so any issue can be identified. I wonder if this random off bags out of the many thousands that are fine. I hope to know soon!

Have two year old German shepherd. Has been sick several times after consuming Taste of the Wild bison, venison dry food. Lethargic, vomiting, bloody diarrhea. Took to vet. Not sure if gastroenteritis or pancreatitis. Please investigate this. No one is listening. How many more dogs have to get sick and die before something is done. Have called manufacturer with lot number, notified pet supermarket and vet regarding possible bad food. So sad this is being ignored. Facebook and local news to be contacted next. Please help!

I've read all these reviews and I'm very worried about my little guy. I have a 9.5 week old toy Rat Terrier, under a pound, who's had bad diarrhea (STINKS!) for over 24 hours. He's gagging but nothing is coming up. He did have a bloated belly and very gassy, now appears to be losing weight and boney. Tires easily during play. He has an appt Monday but I fear it won't be soon enough. If this is an ongoing issue, TOTW, please take action! These animals are dear to their families. I'd be devastated if Something happened to Oscar. Please take these reviews seriously.

Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream has been our little Cavapoo's food for a long time. She doesn't receive snacks. Lately, she has had diarrhea & vomiting with over $1,000 in vet bills in past month alone. She was diagnosed with pancreatitis on Friday. There have been no changes in her life. She is always on a leash when taken outside. The vet did X-rays which were negative. After reading the negative reviews on several sites we won't be giving her TOTW again.

Just got off the phone with a rep from TOTW concerning the very many, very recent complaints about TOTW pet food causing illness and death in dogs. The rep said they would not investigate any claims posted on the Consumer Affairs website. The only way they would be investigated would be for the person to contact them directly. PLEASE CALL Taste of the Wild at 1-800-977-8797. I tried to give them a product code from one of the recent complaints and they wouldn't investigate unless I was the purchaser of that product. If you want this company to know of or resolve a problem please contact them. It may save someone else's PET!! THANK YOU.

Puppy has been on this food for 6 months. Adult German Shepherd on Taste of the Wild lamb. We just got a new bag a couple weeks ago of the puppy food. Pup hasn't emptied bowl except once (odd). He has thrown up a few times now and you can hear his stomach gurgling. His stool is softer also. Concerned! Giving chicken and rice.

Bad batch of food. My 4 year old beagle/dachshund mix had been eating TOTW for the past 4 months. On 2/26 she ate her morning meal with no problem. When we got home from church she was very lethargic. She did not eat the evening of the 26th or at all on 2/27. She started throwing up on the evening of the 27th, mostly liquids and very dehydrated. Took her to my vet on the 28th and they started treating her and diagnosed her with pancreatitis. After spending the day at my vet, they recommended that she go the 24 hour emergency vet for the next 2 days for around the clock care. I was able to take her home on 3/2 because her blood levels were all normal.

On Friday 3/3 she became lethargic in the afternoon and began to breathe heavier. I took her back to the 24 hour clinic and within 1.5 hours she was gone. They ran blood work before I had to put her down and the vet said she was in complete organ shutdown. Some levels were off the charts. I'm writing this because the other reviews are extremely similar to my dog's condition at the time of her passing. I believe that something in this batch of food caused my dog's health to decline and eventually caused her death. The total of the vet bills was $3000.00. I will be contacting TOTW with my concerns. Anyone wishing to discuss this I can be reached at: **.

Thank goodness for this website and its information and experience from other pet owners who used Taste of the Wild. My Great Dane who is 4 years old just experienced a bad reaction to this product. On the 3rd night of eating TOTW, she too had vomited up all her food, lost control of her bowels and became extremely shaky and lethargic. I thought she was having a seizure. We bought this product from a local Pet Supplies store because we ran out of her regular food Fromm Gold and our supplier was closed on Sunday. The pet store highly recommended this so we thought it would be okay. We were mistaken. Trying to keep water in her and Feeding her a bland diet and will start her back on Fromm depending on her appetite and condition. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT. IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TO PETS.

Last week I bought a bag of TOTW for my cat and it is making her sick. I have been feeding her this brand for a year and she loves it, but she refused to eat from this bag. When she finally did, she barely ate any and got real sick. Seeing the other reviews from this time frame, makes me think they have a serious quality control problem, and their claims of a healthy product are a sham. I hope my cat gets better.

I had the same experience as many other reviewers had. My dog had been on the Bison & Venison Taste of the Wild dog food for many years. One day he became very sick! He would vomit after ever feeding. He was sad and just not acting like himself. I took him to the vet and they did an exam and blood work and couldn't find anything wrong with him. That cost me $250. They gave me some wet dog food and medication to stop him from vomiting. He still vomited for a couple days but stopped on the 33rd day on wet food. When I ran out of wet dog food and her had not been vomiting for several days I started him back on his Taste of the Wild dog food. He vomited again that night.

Then I googled recalls of the food and found this page. A lot of the reviews were the same thing that was happening to my dog. I was so upset. The food that I was choosing to give my dog was making him sick! I did write the company an email and they did respond right away. They just said, "I'm sorry your dog is going through this and there are no recalls at this time". I took him off Taste of the Wild and switched him to a different food and he is all better now. No more vomiting and he is back to his old self. I have worked professionally with dogs for 15 years and have referred 100s of my clients to Taste of the Wild which makes me mad to think about! I will no longer be using Taste of the Wild and will not suggest it to anyone!!

On Jan 31 I went to my local tractor supply store and bought a 15 pound bag of Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula... which came highly recommended to me by a cashier for my 2 dogs. They had been eating Science Diet but an employee who is no longer with the company informed me that Science Diet is full of grain and bad for my dogs and that I should go on a grain free food. TOTW was the recommendation so I went with it. They had been eating it already for about a month with no issues. The next day my dachshund stopped eating, was extremely lethargic and had tiny tarry stools if anything at all.

After 3 days of this I took her to the vet and they ran multiple tests to rule out poison, pancreatitis, etc. There was decreased liver function and a high level of infection present so she was placed on antibiotics at that time and baby food for several days. She began to recover and so we put her back on the dog food about a week later. She relapsed almost immediately so we took her back off the food and back onto a bland food diet thinking her stomach just couldn't handle the food at the time. In the meantime our other dog was eating the food, but sparingly... showing preference for the doxies leftover bland diet instead. I did not put 2 and 2 together at that time, thinking there was an intestinal issue present and nothing more.

I bought a new bag of the same food on Feb 21st and at the same time put the almost fully recovered doxie back on the food. She ate 2 bites and refused to eat anymore no matter if I soaked it in gravy or otherwise. Those 2 bites were enough to slam her right back into being terribly ill and by Feb 26th she was in full organ failure. According to the emergency vet x-rays showed a large mass on her liver that was not present on the xrays at the beginning of the month. Blood work showed liver and kidney failure, and so much infection the vet was convinced the mass had ruptured. She was completely inoperable. The insides of her intestines were nothing but blood and mucus at the end of her life.

My bigger dog was also refusing to eat the food and is currently showing the same early symptoms that my doxie did with elevated liver enzymes and infection present as well. She is currently being treated by her vet with antibiotics and a bland diet. The only thing the two dogs have in common is the dog food they were fed as one dog is outdoors full time and one was indoor full time. Our poor lovely 11 year old Daschund Siousxie had to be put to sleep on Feb 27, 2017 due to complications of her condition. Eventually my other dog Missy will be following her as the liver damage is irreversible but how long she has with us is indeterminate. I am currently looking for an independent lab to test this dog food as I remain convinced that this batch of dog food is contaminated with either bacteria or mycotoxins.

If anyone has a recommendation for this please contact me at **. I find it highly suspect that others suddenly have dogs coming down sick from this same food over the past few weeks. I am positive the food is the direct cause of the death of my one dog and the illness of the other. My next steps are to contact the dog food company and the FDA and anyone else who will listen. No one should have to go through what we have the past month...and my dog did not deserve to die like that.

Over the two years with my aussie I have fed her Taste Of The Wild, and never had a problem till this last batch. It's been strange. She was on the puppy food when she was little, never had a issue. Then switched her to lamb and she was fine. I always changed the flavor every month and never had a issue. Then a few weeks ago I got a new bag of lamb and gave her that. Over the night she threw up all her food. Could not keep any water down, had super bad bathroom issues... etc. She was sick for 3 days.

Then she got better and so I gave her the food again thinking it was something she got into outside. That night same thing. Took her off the food and gave her some rice and chicken. Few days later she was fine. I then started to put two and two together. Could it be the food? Might be? I am not sure, but to be safe I took her off the food and put her on Canidae and have not had a issue yet. So my guess is. It was the food, and here I loved the food. It was a good price and I could get it at all most every store I needed to go for horse feed or dog food. Please TOTW. Get your act together and figure out what's wrong.

We have had our hound mix on the bison TOTW for about 4 yrs, thought it was good food until now. Dog has had call consistent diarrhea for 3 days now and we are starting to think it is the food. We found a strange piece of string (garden twine) baked into the kibble in the last batch we opened as well. We are now feeding him chicken and rice and looking into other brands for our kibble.

Consumer Increased Rating!

My dogs have been on TOTW for years. I have been troubleshooting why they have been throwing up and pretty bad diarrhea and narrowed it down to their kibble. I was doing internet search to see if it had been recalled and saw at least three other recent similar cases on Consumer Affairs. I got the bison formula through Amazon.com and noticed that it is currently out of stock, I have never seen it out of stock on there before! I'm wondering if the maker is trying to avoid a recall at the expense of allowing dogs to get sick on this current batch. I've heard really bad things about Diamond so I think it's time to switch to Earthborn Holistic.

I have a 6 yr old Black Lab and we recently moved from Austin to Houston. The dog food Welcome Home! is not sold in Houston. Went to a local pet store and they recommended TOTW. At first she had no concerns or issues. I started to notice that she had itchy ears, loose stools, and a rash on her inner thighs. She will NOT be eating TOTW (Wild Boar) anymore and will have Welcome Home! deliver to the house.

I am a regular customer of Taste of the Wild, specifically the bison formula for dogs. After reading the reviews of this product of late I am suspecting it is the cause of my dogs emergency trip to the vet and his continuing care. Three days ago I opened a fresh bag and fed my dog his meal, within an hour he was very ill, vomiting and shaky, very lethargic. I am now making him rice and chicken and he is improving, although slowly. I have contacted the company and they did take a report.

It's the duck. If it walks like one and squawks like one... I have a 17 year old dog and a 3 year old dog and I bought a bag of Wetlands formula Taste of the Wild which I did not know was made by Diamond... I've heard great things and ugly things about the company and I honestly wanted to try something junk, and my current brand (Nutro) didn't have a satisfactory formula in my opinion. My dogs have not eaten junk in a LONG time. My collie was fed junk when I was a kid but my pit bull has had GREAT food for her last 2 years since I adopted her (she was a stray before, no telling then). I work for a vet. We did countless fecals on my collie and it has always been negative. They're indoor dogs and they get regular prevention.

My collie started with diarrhea the day I began feeding Diamond. My pit bull has started near the bottom of the bag now... We are on a gastrointestinal canned prescription food until it improves but it's awful. It smells like death. I haven't had the issues with vomiting that I can pinpoint to the food... Though my collie did puke for the first time EVER in his VERY long life shortly after I started the diamond... Vet says probably not related though and we did just recently notice some odd levels with kidneys (crf can include vomiting and of course diamond is too high in protein for a dog's kidney so that's changed anyway). Curious is all I'm saying.

I changed from grain dog food to TOTW. It has transformed my Pit and Coonhound/American bull mix. Easy (pit) is now 11 years old. Fiz (mix) is 7. They have been on Taste of the Wild for 6 yrs. They are very healthy, their coats shine, mess much less, and are happy to eat this food. I love it.

I have a 3 year old female shepherd. I was feeding her the Bison Taste of the Wild. She became very ill with a high fever, lethargic and diarrhea. After thousands of dollars I changed food and she is better. This is bad food!

A few years back my dog was having some negative reactions to dry dog food (itchy skin, unhealthy stools), nothing super serious but enough that my vet put him on a hypo diet. The hypo food did not do well for my guy, so I started researching heavily. After much research I settled on Taste of the Wild Prairie formula, high quality meat, that wasn't chicken or beef, and a high level of standards on other parts of the food. My dog loved/loves it!

This past weekend, I bought a new bag, of the same food we've been buying now for years, the next day my dog started acting weird, as if very uncomfortable. A few hours later he was having severe diarrhea, getting up multiple times in the night, and very low energy throughout the day. I assumed he had just gotten a bit of a bug, switched him to rice and pumpkin, he was drinking water, and all seemed to go back to normal within a day. I then started introducing the taste of the wild dry kibble back to his diet, and the diarrhea started back up almost immediately. Back to rice and pumpkin, all back to normal, then intro dry kibble again and once again the diarrhea came back. At this point, I have put it together that it must be the kibble. I cut the kibble from his food, and his stools and energy return to normal.

I want to thank the individual who posted their review on here on Jan 8th 2017, your experience was exactly what happened to my dog, and confirmed my assumptions that it was his food. I've contact the company and also let my local pet store know. Truly unfortunate, as we have nothing but great experiences up until now. Production code: TDH0901A2U EMJ. Best By Sept 4 2017. 6248 330 17:13

Expert Review

Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.    More about Dr. Ken Tudor→

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free, and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.
  • Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.
  • Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.
  • Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.
  • Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.
  • Best for Healthy active dogs, puppies and dogs that need to eat healthy.

Compare Dog Food