3.99/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Taste of the Wild provides a wide variety of quality wet & dry food options for dogs & cats. Taste of the Wild understand the importance of feeding quality food to your pets, which is why we are committed to strict quality and safety standards. Contact us today or visit our website to find out more about our products and where you can find them!

1175 Taste of the Wild Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 30, 2019

I bought Taste of the Wild for the first time at my local hardware store. I checked the ingredients and was satisfied with the ingredients as opposed to about every other food. The only thing is I wasn't sure about all of the different flavors, so I was trying to figure out which one of the flavors suited my dogs the best. And I noticed that whenever I would change flavors from bag to bag, there's a little bit of itching in my dogs. But otherwise, I am extremely satisfied with the company and how the dogs like the food and that it's healthy for them. It's one of the few that they like and it's good for them.

There are five flavors that my local hardware sells, so I was trying to figure out which one my dogs like the best. When I did that, I couldn't figure out why they were itching. And then, when I did a little more digging, because I know when you switch from food to food, that sometimes allergy arose, but I never thought of flavor to flavor in the same food. And I can't nail down that that was the exact reason. It could've been environmental factor. Other than that, I like the packaging. I like the product. I'm very happy that we are part of a program where once we buy 10 bags, we get a bag for free. I like that.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have been feeding my two 7 yr old very sensitive white Boxers this kibble for the past 5 yrs with excellent results in overall health, no allergy issues such as skin, nails, coat, stomach. I do have to say that it is only the Pacific Stream formula that has accomplished these results. I discovered after many trials of isolating various food ingredients that our Boxers are allergic to poultry. Prior to switching to TOTW Pacific Stream brand, I was feeding them both Orijen or Acana brand in the initial 2 yrs of life and did find that my dogs did develop skin allergies with the poultry even in this superior quality kibble.

Once I switched them back to Orijen or Acana Fish ingredient the allergies stopped. However for financial reasons I needed to researched other "brands" comparable the the above mentioned without sacrificing my pets health and found the ingredients in TOTW to be the most comparable and reasonable to that of Orijen or Acana. I wished it possible to upload a photo of how strong and healthy they are since a picture is worth a thousand words! Proud White Boxer Mom from Florida.

Taste of the Wild response

Beautiful dogs! Thanks for posting their picture (and of you too). Pacific Stream has helped so many dogs. Our recipe contains more omegas than most other salmon based dog food out there and it does seem to make a difference

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My dog is an English Bulldog-Boxer mix. He is quite active but loves to sleep a lot. He has a super sensitive, chicken allergy, and is also allergic to some grains. His previous owner went through a bunch of different food trying to figure out what would work for him because he kept having a really bad reaction to a lot of them. She had him on Taste of The Wild and I've had him for about a year and three months now. He eats all of the TOTW food and it keeps him active. It is the best because it has a really good balance and has both fiber and protein. I switch back and forth between Pine Forest and the Pacific Stream because they were only two that don't have any poultry in it. I usually stay away from any kind of egg product because I know he's allergic to chicken. He likes being able to change between the two proteins which really helps in keeping him interested in it. I also like that TOTW has a program where you buy 10 bags and you get one bag half off which is cool.

I talked to one of my co-workers yesterday because her dogs have been having really bad reactions to a lot of the food. One of them continuously has hotspots and now, her other one is trying to lick the puss and chews at his feet. They've been trying to find food that won't have any kind of reaction with one of them because one of them gets really bad diarrhea on most food. She has also tried grain-free and poultry-free. I told her that finding food that doesn't have any kind of poultry is really hard, so I told her to try TOTW Pine Forest and the Pacific Stream because I looked at all the other bags and they usually have some form of poultry products. Hopefully, TOTW will work for her.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I've been using Taste of the Wild for at least 10 years. I have three large dogs and when I got them as puppies, I decided to raise them on a no grain diet. I got five different brands of dried dog food, put them out in a bowl and let them go to them. I did this for about a week and mixed the brands up and started eliminating. Taste of The Wild was their second pick. They continued to go back to their first pick and I put them on that. But I opened the bag one day and there was a live mouse in the bag. I taped it up and took it back to the feed store. Then I changed to Taste of the Wild and I've never switched.

I've tried all of Taste of the Wild's formulations but my dogs seem to like the Southwest Canyon with Wild Boar the most. My dogs have been the healthiest animals I've had and I know a lot of that is the food. They're 13 and they're all up around a 100 pounds and their life expectancy is seven to nine years. They've all been strong and very active. They haven't had any health issues up until last year. But other than that, their only time to the vet has been once a year to get shots. I just wish the dog food was cheaper because I spend a hundred bucks a month on it.

I have promoted Taste of the Wild to several people. I have a lady in Mexico that does an animal sanctuary in San Carlos. When she has somebody up in the States, she tries to get them to buy her a couple of bags to take down there. I also promote it with people that I know that have animals and I tell them that I use Taste of the Wild and that it is a grain-free food. Grain-free food seems to work a little better with dogs.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Taste of the Wild has been a big thing for me. I got my dog from Craigslist and he was on Ol’ Roy, which dogs love. But it's dog junk food and it's not good for dogs. So we tried for so long to switch our food. We would get really small bags of food from the store to try and wean him off of the Ol’ Roy, and everything was making him sick and was giving him skin allergies. He was miserable if he didn't have the Ol’ Roy. Finally, we got him on the Beneful. It still had recalls, and I was still really sketched about it but it was better than Ol’ Roy. He'd been on Beneful for six years. And then about a year ago, there was the Natural Pawz that opened next to my house. And I'm really big about pet stores, and so I went in there and they gave me a couple of Taste of the Wild samples and I let my dog try it.

My dog's really smart. I put the sample bags of food down and he picked the one he wanted. At first, he picked the salmon and he liked it and really enjoyed it. They didn't have any more of the tasting one for the duck. And then, after maybe a month, he stopped eating it again. And I know for some dogs, you have to leave the food there so they get used to it, but he wouldn't eat for six days. He would get a couple of bites of it and he would not eat. And he's miserable again. So I went back to the store and asked if they had the sample bags with the duck. He loves the duck. And I've also noticed that he's a lot more energetic. He's about to be eight, so he's starting to pop and lock when he gets up and he's been a lot better. His coat is a lot more healthy and shiny. It's really great that it's healthy for him.

I also just got a puppy five months ago and he was on Purina. And puppies are supposed to be kind of chunky and good on weight but with him on Purina, he's still really lanky. I also put him on the puppy formula on Taste of the Wild, and he has been putting on weight, which is really good too. Taste of the Wild is the way to go.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: July 6, 2019

I have fed Sierra Mountain for years, so this was not a change of diet issue. About 2 months ago, my dogs started developing bouts of florid diarrhea. I have had to make multiple trips to the Vet and each had 2 courses of **. But then they would get sick again once off of the **. Within 30 hours of switching to another brand of dog food, the diarrhea stopped and has not returned. I strongly feel it was the Sierra Mountain that made my dogs ill. And the illness spanned 2 different bags of food, so this wasn’t an issue with just 1 bag. Between this experience and now learning about the possible link to dilated cardiomyopathy, I would discourage people from feeding this to their pets.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 2, 2019

Read the FDA article that was released and saw that Taste of the Wild is third on the list. I called the company to see what they have done to prove this report wrong. I wanted facts. They were rude. I’ve been buying this dog food for years believing I was buying the best quality dog food and I was talked to like I shouldn’t be concerned. Having rude customer service on the situation is making your company look even worse. I don’t see the FDA putting this information out there for nothing. Convince us why we shouldn’t switch to a different brand!

Dillon,

I am so sorry to hear that. I will email you. To date, the FDA still has not found any science-based causes to link grain-free diets — including Taste of the Wild — to DCM. As they note, it is a complex issue with numerous factors to consider, such as breeds that have a genetic predisposition for developing DCM. We continue to monitor this issue closely and support ongoing research efforts. Since the FDA’s initial DCM report was released in 2018, more than 14 million bags of Taste of the Wild dog food were produced and sold in the United States. While 53 is a small number of incidences in comparison to the number of dogs eating Taste of the Wild, we do not want to minimize what the affected dogs and their pet parents have experienced. Our top priority is, and always will be, to provide pets with quality, safe food that meets all federal and state regulatory guidelines.

Original review: June 30, 2019

We've fed our girl TOTWHP for many years. She seems to enjoy the food and we've seen no adverse results. A recent news article sited TOTW as the third most often dog food for incidents of Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy (heart failure in dogs). The frequency seems to be greater in large breeds. Is there a good read to dispel the food and source genetic attributes as the culprit?

Hi Mike,
Thanks for posting. It's a frustrating time for both pet parents and pet food manufacturers. Our goal as it always has been is to produce the best safest food possible for pets.Publishing the names of 16 pet food brands that have been anecdotally connected with cases of DCM, without significant weight behind those claims, is misleading to the general public and could undermine a general understanding of the disease itself.

The fact is, the FDA has found no concrete evidence that any pet food is causing DCM. It has only gathered information on what food brands were fed to pets that were diagnosed with the disease. As Steve M. Solomen, D.V.M., M.P.H., director of the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, even said, “...we have not yet determined the nature of this potential correlation between dog food and DCM”

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 30, 2019

We buy the expensive pet foods to protect our beloved pets from the nasty ingredients of grocery store pet foods. Now the FDA warns against Taste Of The Wild because it could give our dogs heart disease? What food (pet OR human) companies can we trust in the US? Seems very few to none. There are 2 other expensive, supposedly great-quality, pet-food-companies also on this FDA warning list. Can't believe, we've paid top dollar only to destroy our dog's health, anyway. Makes me sick. Shame on Taste Of The Wild.

Taste of the Wild response
It is important to note that the FDA is acknowledging that DCM a complex issue with numerous factors to consider, such as breeds that have a genetic predisposition for developing DCM. While they are informing us that grain free diets have been fed to affected dogs, in no way are they saying grain-free diets cause DCM. The FDA (and all other researchers) have not found any science-based causes to link grain-free diets — including Taste of the Wild — to DCM.

Original review: June 25, 2019

My 13-year old dog was on Taste of the Wild dog food before I had to change it because she’s got pancreatitis. So, she’s on a special dog food that’s on that. But I fed her Taste of the Wild for five years. My groomer was the one that recommended it to me. She did a lot of research on them. I was stuck with the chicken or the salmon flavor and she seemed to like it.

Original review: June 23, 2019

We have six cattle dogs and we were using Taste of the Wild for about three years. However, in the last month, I changed to a different company because ToTW or the feed store upped the price and the bag poundage was less. Still, when I was feeding my dogs ToTW, they were always healthy. Additionally, our feed store does the promo of me buying 10 bags and getting the 11th one free.

Original review: June 22, 2019

All my dogs are on Taste of the Wild for a long time. It was recommended. And it is grain-free, natural, and decently priced. I don’t wanna give them something with a bunch of fillers, and this doesn’t have a bunch of fillers. And it’s all-natural so I’m not putting a bunch of chemicals in my dogs. And I was reading and it seemed like it was a clean, healthy choice. I have five Cane Corsos at one point, and everything was great. Taste of the Wild is a little harder to find out here, now that I’m on the West Coast. So, they’re on this grain-free thing, but I really liked Taste of the Wild.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Years ago, I had a dog with intestinal problems and Taste of the Wild was the only thing I could get her that she was okay on. I stuck with it and now I have an Australian Shepherd whom I feed the Wetlands variant. While I wish it wasn't so expensive, my dog has been really healthy and Taste of the Wild is all that he's been on.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I've been using Taste of the Wild because it seemed like a healthier option for my pet. I have two Australian shepherds and they are both four years old. The one I've been using most recently is the Pure Prairie and they have had it their whole lives. I got one bag that might’ve been a bad batch that they wouldn’t eat it for some reason. And then after that, it’s been fine.

Original review: June 19, 2019

We have a German Shepherd and he's allergic to certain things. My husband did research and we found that Taste of the Wild is the best for our dog. We buy the yellow bag, Bison.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I haven't used Taste of the Wild for my dogs in a couple of months because it’s pretty expensive. But they seem to like it and we’ve used it for about six months.

Original review: June 16, 2019

My mixed breed 12 pound 6 year old dog has been on Taste of The Wild Salmon and Potato most of her life! We give her a mix of wet and dry. All of a sudden two weeks ago she developed diarrhea and was throwing up. We took her to the vet, and could find no real reason for this condition. The vet gave us probiotics which we added to her food, and an antibiotic which we held off on because by the following day she was ok... Fast forward a week and she once again has the runs. I am always panicked about it being a problem with her food. I stay on top of all the recalls etc. Has anything changed in either the wet or dry that would now make her sensitive? I don’t want to keep giving her food that is making her sick!

Original review: June 15, 2019

So, I work as an animal nutrition consultant. So, when we found a puppy we loved I wanted something that would be a solid nutritional choice. Our mixed breed started on Taste of the Wild at 6 months of age. He seemed to eat it ‘okay’ but just never seemed overly interested in his food. Over the next few years his interest lessened and we decided to try the premium Taste of the Wild, the PREY line. If we rotated between turkey and beef, he would at least nibble throughout the day. Our dog is trained in skijor and has 20 acres to run and explore with our family. We were confused and devastated when at 2.5 years old he developed pneumonia. That’s when the x-rays and echocardiogram revealed the true cause, severe dilated cardiomyopathy. Luckily, we have an INCREDIBLE canine cardiologist who encouraged us that with time, if it was nutritional and we were committed to his care there was a chance it could be reversed.

We immediately CHANGED his food to a traditional and well-known competitor, plus a vet approved diet rich in taurine. It has cost us thousands in medical, 20 pills and supplements daily, and of course the emotional cost too. So hard when you want to do the best for your furry family member. It has been just over 6 months so far... And we just had another follow-up echo with this news: Dale’s heart has shrunk by almost 50%, and his motility improved by 36%!!! That was our confirmation that the DCM is in fact diet related (congenital DCM only gets worse with time).

Oh, and did I mention that now he GOBBLES down his food and asks for more?! They are slow to provide anything definitive about the link between cases of DCM and diet. So, do your research. Is it legumes? Is it an issue in ‘specialty proteins’? Maybe both? All I know is our pup went downhill fast, and since we changed his food and provided supplements and meds, his DCM is reversing.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Taste of the Wild is a quality dog food and I recommend it to friends. I've been using it for 10 years and my experience has been fine. It was recommended by a wholesale dog supply store where I go to get my dog's food. I have Golden Retrievers and Labs. And I have used the bison and most often, the salmon. We haven't had a problem, so I just kept using it. It's grain-free, has good ingredients, and is recommended by my vet, too.

Original review: June 12, 2019

We needed to change from our "very expensive" cat food due to unacceptable formulation changes that caused 3 cats to stop eating it. Taste Of The Wild was in the running and the company was kind enough to send me samples. What a hit with all 3 boys. I ran to our local pet store and bought a small bag of the Rocky Mountain flavor along with some cans of the wet food. The fussy cat actually pushed the other 2 out of the way to get at the bowls. It has only been a few weeks but this brand sure seems to be a winner. As many other folks have expressed--my boys have more energy and are excited about eating again! I just placed my order with Chewy for the large bag and some cases of the canned food. Thank you TOTW!! Please do not change anything -- you really do have a great product here!

Original review: June 11, 2019

Taste of the Wild is good food and my dogs like it. I chose it because it is grain-free and had been using it for three years. When I first started, I used the pacific salmon. My dogs liked it but then they liked the bison meat more.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I thought that Taste of the Wild was healthy for the animals so I started purchasing it. I've been using it for 3 years. I have 2 Boxers and they prefer the High Prairie with Bison. They really love it. If I feed them anything else, they don’t eat it.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Research said that Taste of the Wild had the most natural ingredients with the least amount of grain. I'm a dog owner and I've been using the brand for about five years now. I have two Rottweilers, one is about six years old and the other is about less than a year old. We use all the Taste of the Wild flavors that our store carries. There are about four or five flavors that I know of such as the duck and the salmon. Taste of the Wild has definitely helped with my dogs' coat and their overall energy. I like the product. My stepdad started using it too after I started using it. It has shown to be good.

Original review: June 8, 2019

People around me that I knew recommended Taste of the Wild. I've been using it for a few years and haven't had any problems with my dogs. I have a husky and a corgi. I had to take my corgi off Taste of the Wild because it was too many calories for him. He gains weight quickly and we had to watch their weight. But we still buy the food for the husky. She likes the one with the bison, the High Prairie Canine Recipe. It's the yellow one. My experience has been good. My husky is only about four years old now. She's been eating Taste of the Wild for about three years and her health has been amazing.

Original review: June 7, 2019

My dog has always been on Taste of the Wild. That’s what the breeder used. I've been using it for seven years.

Original review: June 5, 2019

My Yorkieshon was having major health issues black spots all over her belly that looked like mold, ear infections, biting her feet, etc. The doctor had tried her on different medications, ear drops, and foods over the course of a few years. Then ** for quite some time. It was costing us a fortune and we watched our little get worse.

I researched and found articles similar to her conditions and grain free foods, Taste of the Wild being one of them. I immediately researched TOTW with so many great reviews. I purchased some online and introduced it to my little girl and within a couple of weeks I began to see a BIG difference. I was able to take her of the **. Within a month she was reborn. The black spots on her belly were completely gone, her ears cleared up, she played more, etc.

It has been about two years and she is doing awesome. She will be eight years old in just a couple days and has loads of energy and clear skin. She just had her yearly checkup and is in A-1 condition. The Vet was surprised her teeth were in excellent condition for her age. I'm so thankful I found TOTW. I don't think she would be with us now if I hadn't.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Taste of the Wild was what the veterinarian recommended. I feed it to my German Shepherd and I use the Trout formula because my pet doesn’t like chicken. Taste of the Wild is a healthier option with less by-products in it. And it’s more of a natural food form. I’d tell a friend that I like it, and I’d recommend it to him if he had a dog.

Original review: June 4, 2019

We started choosing Taste of the Wild because it was grain-free. We've been using it for at least 5 years now and it made our dogs’ coats really shiny. But after about a year ago, the coats stopped being shiny, so I don’t know what happened there. The formula changed or whatnot. But we still like the grain-free option. We like it better than the other options.

We have eight Salukis, a standard Dachshund, and a Terrier. They range from 12 years to 9 months. They like just about everything but they don’t particularly care for the salmon so we usually use the red bag, the bison, the venison and the boar. We wish that Taste of the Wild had a little bit less starch in it and also more protein. But other than that, we’re good.

Original review: June 3, 2019

We didn’t have our Basset Hound mix long when we first got her, but she had a lot of health issues. Taste of the Wild was recommended for allergies and we've been using it for over a year now. She's had a very good coat and she's maintaining her weight. She's not having as many allergy issues. Taste of the Wild has been working for us. It reduced the allergens. We also get a free bag after so many bags so that’s another reason why we chose to go with that route.

Original review: June 2, 2019

My veterinarian recommended Taste of the Wild and it was the first time I used it for my cat. He likes it and he seems to be healthy so I keep giving it to him. I have tried a different type of flavor, but he seems to like Taste of the Wild the best. If someone asked, I'd tell them they ought to try Taste of the Wild.

Taste of the Wild expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.

• Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.

• Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.

• Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.

• Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Taste of the Wild Company Information