3.9/5 (1385 ratings)

About Taste of the Wild

Taste of the Wild is a pet food company that uses premium ingredients and no additives. The company offers a wide variety of pet food flavors and has specific formulas for pets in different life stages or with dietary restrictions.

Pros

• No additives
  • Variety of flavors
  • Premium ingredients
  • Quality assurance

Cons

• Not widely available
  • More expensive

Bottom Line

Taste of the Wild offers premium dog food at an affordable price. While it’s still more expensive than some other brands, its natural ingredients and quality assurance make it stand out.

Top Taste of the Wild Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Our dog Baxter has severe food allergies. It took us a while to find a good dog food that he could actually eat! Baxter loves Taste of the Wild… Thank you Taste of the Wild for ke...

Verified

I have a 11.5 year-old female Standard Poodle. ... I was delighted when I saw the limited, non-GMO ingredients on Prey Turkey formula and decided to try her on it 2 years ago. Muc...

Taste of the Wild dog food

What is Taste of the Wild dog food?

Taste of the Wild dog food offers high-quality meals based on each pet’s natural diet. All formulas are made with real meat, including wild boar, smoked salmon, roasted duck and venison, to create a tastier and heartier bowl of food for puppies and dogs. In addition to natural ingredients, formulas include probiotics and are free of all artificial colors, preservatives and flavors.

For a more simpler, Taste of the Wild also offers a PREY formula that has minimal ingredients. Other pet food product lines include:

• Taste of the Wild puppy food
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - dry
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - wet
  • Grain-free
  • Senior formula
  • Pregnant or nursing blend

How does Taste of the Wild work?

Taste of the Wild dog food is designed to give pets a better food option inspired by the protein sources animals are meant to eat, meaning ones they ate when they were wild. The goal is to provide the vitality that nature intended.

Taste of the Wild sources all ingredients from high-quality vendors that share the same purpose and mission to provide ingredients without fillers, preservatives or artificial flavors. All meats are USDA-inspected and -approved and certified antibiotic free.

Customers can choose from a wide variety of flavors, formulas and types of pet food with Taste of the Wild. Because the benefits are similar across the formulas, most people choose based on which meat product their pet prefers.

Taste of the Wild prices

Taste of the Wild is sold by online retailers and in stores, but not through the company's website. Because of this, prices may vary between stores. In general, Taste of the Wild dog food costs around $13.99 for a five-pound bag and $48.99 for a 28-pound bag. Prices don’t differ between meats or flavors, just by size of the bag. Wet dog food costs about $2.30 per 13.2-ounce can. Some vendors, including Chewy and Petco, provide discounts for customers who subscribe for repeat deliveries.

Taste of the Wild FAQ

Is Taste of the Wild grain free?
The original Taste of the Wild and Taste of the Wild PREY formulas are grain free. The Ancient Grains line includes grains.
Who owns Taste of the Wild?
Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond Pet Foods, which is owned by Schell and Kampeter Inc., a pet food manufacturer with plants across the United States.
Is Taste of the Wild AAFCO approved?
Yes, Taste of the Wild foods are AAFCO approved.
How much is Taste of the Wild dog food?
Taste of the Wild costs about $49 for the biggest available size, which is a 28-pound bag.

Is Taste of the Wild good dog food?

For customers who want a more natural food for their pets, Taste of the Wild is a great option. Its flavors and formulas are designed to mimic the ingredients and nutrients animals would receive in the wild. Prices are fairly comparable to other brands but still a bit more expensive than lower-tier dog food. With the company's strict control system and close relationship with suppliers, Taste of the Wild works hard to ensure its customers receive high-quality dog food.

Taste of the Wild Reviews

Original review: July 22, 2022

We adopted a dog from a rescue a few years ago and they gave us a sample of Taste of the Wild. We decided to try it with our other dogs as well and they went crazy for it! Our picky eater who would graze on everything suddenly started gobbling up all of his food. I love the limited and high-quality ingredients and genuinely believe my dogs are healthier because of this food. They have shiny coats, lots of energy, and I even noticed a decrease in flaky skin and shedding. I highly recommend this dog food!

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 21, 2022

We have been using Taste of the Wild dog food for over 10 years. Discovered it when I had my first Boxer - Jack. He loved it! After we lost Jack, we rescued our second Boxer - Bailey Marie. She was malnourished, heartworm positive and her fur was falling out. After being treated for the heartworm, a diet that includes of Taste of the Wild has helped turn her into a healthy happy girl.

Original review: July 21, 2022

We use 2 different formulas of Taste of the Wild. High Prairie and Ancient Mountain with ancient grains. My pit mix has the high prairie and is lean muscular with a fantastic coat. My Great Pyrenees mix gets the Ancient Mountain- she has a very sensitive stomach and I’ve tried numerous foods for her and she would always randomly get soft messy stools randomly on them. She has been doing fantastic on Taste of the Wild. We also used to feed High Prairie to our dogs we had in the past. They also did fantastic on it as well. I always recommend it.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

My black lab loves Taste of the Wild. She gets fed twice a day. She'll take any flavor with grain or without grain. She's pretty much addicted to it. Her coat is shining. Her bowel movements are regular as a result. So, I feel like she likes it, but also, I can tell the difference in her body. Our vet also recommended it, which also makes me feel better. That was a good vote of confidence. We've been really pleased.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

I got Pitbulls and Bullies and they have had litters probably twice a year in the last four years. People should use Taste of the Wild. Most of my family use it during the puppy stages and they usually sell the puppies at eight weeks. Occasionally, I give buyers a small bag of TOTW when they buy the puppy and take them home. I tell them that the puppy should be eating that for almost nine months to a year. I add a little water and I use the blue bag. Eating TOTW helps the digestive tract, the muscle intake and the diet. Generally, when the puppies eat the cheaper food, their bowels are soft and running. But when they eat TOTW and better dog foods, they have a solid one.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

My dog is now eating like a dog should. After almost four years he is eating Taste of the Wild venison and duck dry food. He is happy, frisky and looks forward to his meals. Thanks Red Dog Pet Shop for recommending.

Original review: July 25, 2022

When it comes to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream dog food, my Lab Goes Crazy over it! I mean he hops around, and drools over it! He has a lot of allergies so I have to be careful what I feed him. Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream dog food is the only one that works for him. If he's happy, and healthy, then I'm happy too!

Original review: July 24, 2022

Very impressed with Taste of the Wild quality. My dogs love it and have become healthier when I switched. Our Akita had an autoimmune disease and when we switched her to this food she responded well, became active again. Our vet said our Mastiff has never needed any medication or special care and is very healthy at 12 years old.

Original review: July 23, 2022

My dogs are picky eaters and I have always struggled with buying a food that is healthy and reasonably priced. Taste of the Wild checks all the boxes. It's just the right amount of protein with real fruits and vegetables. It's food that even I would eat, which is another box. Plus, I don't have any issues with my babies not loving it.

Original review: July 22, 2022

I have three dogs who are healthy and happy... all three get a combination of Taste of the Wild High Prairie Dry Food and the Wetlands Blend. I add a variety of Taste of the Wild canned food to their Dry kibble. Great food..that my dogs absolutely love.

Taste of the Wild Company Information