2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Shop on Petco
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.46/5

Freshpet is an all-natural fresh pet food company that uses whole ingredients and no preservatives. With special diet options and real meat ingredients like poultry and beef, Freshpet prioritizes the quality and freshness of your pet’s food.

BOTTOM LINE

Freshpet offers high-quality refrigerated pet food with an emphasis on freshness and natural ingredients. While pricey, Freshpet is a great option for people looking to feed their pets a fresh diet.

PROS

• Multiple pet food products
  • Appetizing recipes
  • Fresh, natural ingredients
  • Ethical protein sources available

CONS

• Short shelf life
  • Can be pricey

Top Freshpet Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

About 9 or 10 months ago I started using Freshpet. One of mine is almost 8 and just couldn't jump up and down to get on sofa or bed ... No more being overweight and allergies are improving. They are different babies ... I will forever be grateful to Freshpet. I had tried so many brands.

We love your products. My fur babies jump for joy around the kitchen when they hear me open the bag. During this time of COVID-19 kindness is truly appreciated. I lost my job and your company providing coupons to help me in my time of need. From the bottom of my heart thank you.

Freshpet dog food

What is Freshpet?

Freshpet produces all-natural, refrigerated pet food. Its products may be served as a complete meal or mixed with kibble to add variety to your pet’s diet. Serving instructions vary by product — for example, rolled dog food is typically cut into slices and diced into your pet’s bowl.

All Freshpet products must be refrigerated and used within seven days of opening. Products like its chicken or beef patties may be frozen, but check the product’s packaging for confirmation and complete storage instructions.

To reduce your pet's chance for stomach discomfort, it’s recommended that you transition to new foods slowly. Begin by mixing a small amount of Freshpet in with your pet’s current food and increase the amount every few days. After 10 days, your pet can be fully transitioned to Freshpet.

You can find Freshpet products at major grocery stores, pet stores and online retailers. Its Homestyle Creations product line can be ordered directly from Freshpet.

Freshpet food

Freshpet offers multiple product lines and sells food for nearly any cat or dog. Its full list of food lines includes:

• Freshpet Select Dog & Cat Food: Freshpet Select includes 100% natural poultry, beef or fish. The company also offers a no-meat option. This fresh, preservative-free product line includes rolled soft food, bagged food and stew-style wet food.
  • Vital Dog & Cat Food: Vital recipes are 100% non-GMO with no preservatives, and they offer a complete and balanced diet for pets in all life stages. Choose from bagged or rolled pet food with a variety of protein sources for dogs and cats.
  • Nature’s Fresh Dog & Cat Food: Nature’s Fresh uses local, ethically sourced ingredients that are antibiotic-free and vegetarian-fed. Shop rolls or bagged food for dogs and cats.
  • Deli Fresh Dog Food: Freshpet’s Deli Fresh dog food line uses antibiotic-free chicken and non-GMO ingredients. The recipes are grain-free and only available at Costco wholesale stores.
  • Homestyle Creations Dog Food: The Homestyle Creations line combines frozen chicken or beef patties with fresh fruit or vegetable mixers for a complete, balanced meal for dogs. These recipes use 100% natural ingredients with no preservatives.
  • Fresh Treats for Dogs: Freshpet’s Dog Nation and Dog Joy treat lines feature real meat as the first ingredient with no byproducts or artificial flavors. They contain whole, limited ingredients and are fully cooked for your dog to enjoy.

Freshpet prices

Freshpet doesn’t fully disclose pricing on its website, but depending on your pet’s size, health needs and preferred product line, prices range from $90 to $400 per month. Below, we’ve charted the average cost per day for Freshpet’s products based on a 10-pound cat and 50-pound dog.

Product lineAverage cost per day (cats)Average cost per day (dogs)
Freshpet Select$2 - $4$3 - $13
Vital$2$7
Nature’s Fresh$1$5
Deli FreshSee Costco pricing
Homestyle Creations$14
Fresh Treats$5 - $7 per bag

Freshpet FAQ

How long is Freshpet good after opening?
Freshpet products are good for seven days after opening and must be refrigerated at all times.
Do vets recommend Freshpet dog food?
Your vet may make a food recommendation based on your dog’s health and medical history. Freshpet’s pet food is high protein, so it may not be right for all dogs. Ask your vet if they recommend Freshpet for your pet.
Is Freshpet food healthy?
Freshpet uses high-quality ingredients to provide a healthy, balanced diet for dogs and cats. If your pet has specific dietary needs or health issues, speak to your vet about whether Freshpet is the best food for them.
Can Freshpet be delivered?
Freshpet can be ordered online directly from Freshpet or from major online retailers and pet stores
How do you feed your pet Freshpet?
Freshpet is a refrigerated soft food that can be served as a complete meal or as a topper. Rolled meals are diced before serving, while wet and bagged foods can be poured directly into your pet’s bowl. Consult the instructions on your Freshpet product for specific feeding instructions.

Is Freshpet good?

Freshpet is tailor-made for pet owners who are concerned about the source and quality of pet food ingredients. Although its product line is pricey, we like its variety of protein options and the emphasis on small-batch freshness. We recommend Freshpet for pet owners interested in fresh or raw feeding and who don’t mind paying a little extra for quality ingredients.

Freshpet Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

I have 2 small dogs, a cavalier from a puppy mill with complicated digestive issues and also a high energy, under weight, picky eating Pekingese. I have seen the Fresh Pet commercials and have always thought, "here we go again, another dog food with a lot of promises with mediocre results." My past experience with dog food products and promises has been either the dog is disinterested in the dog food or they like it but do not tolerate the product. HOWEVER, FRESH PET lived up to their word. On a whim, I told my husband to pick up FRESH PET at the store. Fortunately, it was in stock. My dogs were IMMEDIATELY interested. They actually ate it on their own.

Typically, I have to hand feed both dogs. This is a time consuming endeavor. I then held my breath, hoping they would tolerate the food. Not only did they tolerate the food, Rudy my Cavalier, had great output-which is not the norm. Both dogs have tolerated the food with ZERO transition from their last dog food. The next hurdle was the dogs' continued interest in the food. GUESS WHAT? They love it as much today as the first day they put their noses into a bowl of FRESH PET.

I cannot tell you what a positive difference this has made not only in the health and nutrition of my dogs, but in the pet parent experience for me. Meal time is no longer a chore, but a pleasure. Whenever I get the bag of fresh pet out of the fridge, both dogs get excited. The food actually smells delicious. Everyone knows the way to the heart and stomach of a dog is through their nose and this stuff does the trick. My dogs have let me know that FRESH PET is the food for them-eating speaks louder than words. My dogs are eating with enthusiasm at every meal. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FRESH PET! THIS IS A GAME CHANGER. Please keep making this quality product using this dog friendly formula. It is amazing! Elizabeth ** RN

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us to share this wonderful story. Our goal here at Freshpet is to provide our fur babies with the healthiest, freshest foods possible. We hope your pups will continue to enjoy our food. Stay well. Kindest regards, Angela with the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Bailey wouldn't eat after her brother passed away 2 years ago. She would eat maybe 2-3 times a week. After a rough bout of pancreatitis 4 years ago I was told that she had to always have to eat a food with a fat content under 10%. With food brands always changing and canceling a specific food I was about to give up on her. Her bloodwork was getting worse and I was told that she would need to see specialists. I found Freshpet dog food in the grocery store one day and decided to give it a try. At first she turned her nose up to and and refused to eat. I then began mixing it with pumpkin and sweet potatoes. We went through this for a few weeks and one day I noticed that she was becoming more active and eating without any issues.

The following meal I decided to try giving her Freshpet without anything else. That day she ate her meal and ran into the kitchen to seek out more. That was the day that she began eating her meals without any issues. From that day forward we began feeding both of our dogs Freshpet. I did notice that the food she enjoyed the most was Freshpet Nature's Fresh Turkey with spinach cranberries and blueberries. This food had her so excited she began eating out of her brother's bowl, Something she's never done. I can honestly say that I see the puppy we once knew, in the end Freshpet dog food saved her life and gave me my happiness back. I Have posted a couple of videos on TikTok under the screen name of @mrksd04. I would welcome you to take a look at them and feel free to use them on your own social media sites. THANK YOU!!

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for sharing Bailey's touching story. It is wonderful to hear about the positive response she has had since eating Freshpet! We wish you and your family all the best! Stay well. Kindest Regards, Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I adopted my chihuahua, Rosie, about a year and a half ago. I have had the hardest time finding a food for her. We started with canned, then frozen raw, then freeze-dried raw. Each time I changed her food, she would fast for three days. When traveling, she would refuse to eat her normal food. Once we got home, it would be another three day fast before she would eat dog food. I started her on raw because I want her to have the best, freshest food out there. I thought this was my best choice (even though she didn't really like it).

This semester, I took a class where we learn about different business related paperwork, formatting, and generally how to write as a professional. For part of the semester, our work had to be based on a publicly traded company, and I chose Freshpet because it was pet related and I somewhat recognized the name. While doing these projects, I had to pretend to be an employee, writing memorandums, emails, and a white paper for Freshpet. In my white paper, I researched why someone should choose Freshpet over raw or kibble, and I ended up convincing myself.

There is no other food on the shelves that can really compare. Freshpet is cooked in a way that preserves as much nutritional value as possible, has responsibly sourced ingredients, and it smells (and probably tastes) just like leftovers! When I took a piece to see if Rosie would try it, she bit my fingers trying to get at it. I hand-fed her the portion of food she was supposed to have for her first day transitioning because while I was trying to put it away, she'd be jumping at my legs and whining for more! When I gave her Freshpet in a bowl (separate from her raw food) she ran over and licked it clean! I have never seen this dog so excited to eat. She followed me around the house for at least ten minutes after she finished looking up at me like I had more to give her.

The past few days where she has had only Freshpet, she reminds me when it is time to feed her (which she never used to do!). I have noticed that her bowel movements are more regular, she has much more energy, and with such easy portioning, she is losing weight in a healthy way. She is a much happier dog and I am a much happier owner. She is finally a dog that is excited to eat! Thanks, Freshpet!

Original review: March 20, 2020

For year, we have been feeding our 2 huskies aged 12 (Bear) and 6 (Kaya) the Costco Kirkland Salmon brand as Kaya had allergies to many other brands with lots of itching and scratching. In December 2019, Bear was diagnosed with diabetes and then Feb 27, 2020 he had a seizure. We decided to change their food to Fresh Pet and these are our incredible findings…

1) No allergies noted on either dog.

2) Minimal dog excrement waste in the yard compared with the other brand.

3) Their demeanor changed. Instead of being hyper and impatient after they ate the Costco food, making it hard for us to eat our breakfast, now once they eat the Fresh Pet food, they lay down, sleep, relax and wait till we are done with our breakfast in peace and then we go for our walk. TOTALLY different to the point my husband commented “what has happened to our dogs?”

4) Best of ALL…Bear had been on 18 units of insulin twice a day with high sugar levels despite this dose (in the 300’s). He has since been weaned down to 12 units twice a day with levels around 200!! Now that is the HUGE. The veterinary was so shocked when I told her that I had been weaning his dose that I brought in the Freestyle Libre monitor to show her his incredible numbers and progress he has made. This has been so dramatic and unbelievable.

Fresh Pet is incredible food and I am glad that we made the change. Fred and Brenda

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for sharing Bear and Kaya's amazing experience. We appreciate your loyalty to Freshpet, and wish you all the best! Stay well! Kind Regards, Angela

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

We have a Belgian Tervuren Shepherd. They are notorious for being picky eaters. The phrase, "They'll eat when they're hungry.", does NOT apply. He's a little over two years old and this has been a problem since we got him at four months old. We have tried EVERYTHING. Mixing other foods into dry food, wet food with dry food, just wet food, food with gravy, etc. You get the idea. After some personal issues where he was taken, I finally got him back. He was 20 lbs underweight which is quite a bit for a dog that averages 55 lbs. I was desperate to get him to eat. I was mixing scrambled eggs, canned chicken, mac & cheese, gravy, boiled eggs, cheese, and dog food in various combinations. I try to get him to eat twice a day. For three weeks I've been doing this and it's been hit or miss with eating.

I was at the store three days ago and decided to buy a 1 lb roll of the chicken. My intent was to mix it with something else. I decided to try it by itself. I cut up half the roll into bite size pieces. I hand fed him one small piece and put it in his bowl. It was gone in five minutes. I was holding my breath. He's eaten something before only to turn his nose at it again. For three days now, I've fed him the chicken, beef, and chicken/turkey flavors. He has eaten it all every time I've given it to him. I wish I could find the words to tell you how much this means to me. His life was at risk and this food has helped turn the corner on getting him to eat so he'll gain weight and improve his health. Thank you for saving my dog's life.

Freshpet response

Hi Robin, Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Hearing about the transformation that your sweet pup went through thanks to our food just made our day. We are SO thankful that you all are part of the Freshpet family.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

FreshPet Food saved my babies life. I struggled finding tender kibbles for my cat because she has lost quite a few teeth. Pate food is what I have to feed her and she ends up getting sick. FreshPet food honestly smells good enough for human to eat. My cat (Meeso) was a rescue cat. She has no claws on her front feet and someone just dumped her to fend for herself. We have had her for 3 years now and can’t seem to get her to gain weight. I just started her on FreshPet kibble this week and she LOVES it. She’s been eating and keeping it down. I can’t thank this company enough and they now have a FUR-EVER customer. Keep up the amazing work!

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for your kind words, it truly means a lot to us. We are so happy that Meeso has done so well on Freshpet. We wish you all the best and stay well! Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I was asking about coupons and the rep said they would mail me some. This is very much appreciated. If possible, I would like to keep getting coupons. The Freshpet is kind of on expensive side and I would like to keep feeding it to my Waffles.

Freshpet response

We are so happy that Waffles is enjoying our food. We thank you for reaching out. Stay well. Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

We have a 12-year-old Yorkie Poo that has struggled to eat any dog food that doesn't upset her stomach. We have tried so many brands including prescription and without a doubt, the FreshPet Small Dog chicken and turkey recipe is the absolute BEST!!!! She always reminds us when it's time for her to eat and her stomach issues have been resolved. Thanks for such a great product.

Freshpet response

Thank you for your kind words. It means so much to hear how well your pup is doing on Freshpet. We wish you all the best and stay well. Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

We have 2 dogs eating Freshpet. We've noticed that one of them gets extremely constipated if we feed her Freshpet chicken. When I go to purchase Freshpet, often. Beef is the only one left. I'm wondering if others are having the same problem with the chicken. If we stick with Freshpet, we'll only purchase the beef. However, at this time, I'm not sure we should stick with the brand.

Hi Jane,

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having tummy issues. Please call us at 1-866-789-3737 so that we may further assist you. We can be reached Monday through Friday, 9:00am-9:00pm (EST) and Saturday through Sunday 9:00am-1:00pm (EST).

Tara

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

I have 2 senior dogs that have had most of their teeth extracted. They use to only eat dry food. But since a friend gave me Freshpet to try they both can easily eat Freshpet food and love it!! All products are great. I love how each product has how much to feed a pet by their weight. I find this as an excellent tool! Thank you Freshpet.

Freshpet response

Thank you for reaching out, Angeline. We are so happy to hear that Freshpet is the right fit for your pups, and we hope they continue to enjoy our food. We wish you all the best and stay well. Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Freshpet Company Information