3.60/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 15,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

57 Freshpet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I’ve purchased the Freshpet Bite Sized Chicken Recipe about 4 times for my 11 year old yorkie. Because she is a picky eater, I’ve been searching for a product that she’ll love and that’s not too harsh on her teeth. Seeing that she’s enjoyed the first bag so much, I thought this would be the food for her. After purchasing the 2nd bag, the food had a strong odor as if it was spoiled after only day 2 of opening. I keep the bag sealed and in the refrigerator and the expiration date wasn’t until 02/2019. I had to throw out the 2nd bag and bought a new bag (3rd) and the exact same thing happened, so I had to toss it as well. I tried a fresh bag one more time (4th) and it’s happening again and my dog became sick from this bag. I came to read the reviews and realized that this is a pretty common occurrence, therefore I will not be purchasing this product again.

Hi Kia,

Thank you for calling our office and speaking with Angela. We apologize for the experiences you had with our Freshpet Select Small Dog.

The information from the package in question was very helpful and it was forwarded to my Quality Control Team. As discussed, a postage paid mailer was sent to you to retrieve the empty bag for evaluation by our team.  In addition, the refrigerated case at the purchasing store was given a maintenance review and found to be in proper working order.

Let us reassure you that no products are released from our control until having undergone over 20 quality and safety tests. Freshpet operates the highest quality pet food facility in the world. Our Freshpet Kitchens in Bethlehem, PA is an FDA SQF Level 3 which is the highest you can get in the pet food or human food industry.

Thank you so much again for reaching out to us. Please call at 866-789-3737 with any questions.

Sincerely,

Freshpet Care Team

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I just started solely feeding my eight yo Cavachon this and she started bleeding immediately. Even my 12 yo son said, "Mom it has to be the food." I thought this was suppose to be a healthier alternative. I’ll have to go back to making her food again.

Freshpet response

Hi Heily, Thank you for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to learn of your experience. Please call our Consumer Care line @ 1-866-789-3737 so we can get a better understanding of your experience. We hope your girl is doing well. .

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Freshpet small size select bite size chicken recipe has been the only diet for my 14 year old yorkie for the past year. The bag had an exp date of 2/2019. Thanksgiving day he had diarrhea/throwing up. I looked at the food a little closer - was gray. Appeared moldy. I need answers.

Freshpet response

Hi Denise, Genevieve from our Consumer Care team advised she spoke to you on Friday, 11/23/18. We are happy to hear your issue has been resolved. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us on our toll-free number.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I have bought Freshpet small bites for my poodle for a year now. I did notice that it does not stay fresh for 7 days. It gets an odor to it and my dog wouldn't eat it. So I finally decided to take 3 days out of the bag at a time and freeze the rest. It works out really good so I'm very happy with the product and my dog likes it very much and she is so finicky. I would really like it if they'd make a bigger bag in the small bites also.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I work for a grocery chain that carries your product. I've been buying it now for 2 weeks, for my dog. He has seizures and I'm thinking it's the Cornmeal and such in dog food. Anyway, I noticed mold thru the window of the bag, and got an associate to remove the bag and fill up the case with fresh. You just need to check and see if the product has mold before buying. Someone could have walked around the store for hours and then decided not to get it and either put it back or had an employee put it back.

Freshpet response

Hi Terry, Thank you for bringing this important matter to our attention. We will follow up with you directly so we can obtain the name and location of the store so our sales team can follow up with this issue. As our foods are all natural with no artificial or chemical preservatives, they can be naturally at risk for spoilage similar to other fresh groceries if exposed to oxygen for a prolonged period of time. We noticed this could happen if there is a cut or microscopic tear in packaging. This typically happens to a very low percentage out of the millions of bags we sell. Thanks again for letting us know. Freshpet Care Team.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We have two 8 year old pugs. One has bad skin allergies to most food, so we tried Freshpet and it worked great. Her skin got better and both seemed to have more energy than usual. Then about a week ago both started to have issues. After seeing some of the complaints on this site, we stopped feeding the Freshpet and grabbed a kibble from a local specialty store. The girls took a few days to completely recover, but both started improving the moment the Freshpet was taken away.

My poor dogs had uncontrollable diarrhea with streaks of blood in them and there are multiple reports of similar issues, but I can find no information on any active recall for this dog food, while multiple human food products are be recalled for salmonella and listeria in chicken and vegetables. I purchased the home chicken recipe and the roasted chicken meal from a Target in Cape Coral, FL. I do not know if it was one product or both, but I still have a qtr bag of the home chicken recipe that I would not throw away as potential evidence if the unthinkable happened to our girls.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I been buying the rolls and then the bag of chicken for my dog for many months. I got a bag of multi protein complete meat last night at Target and feed my dog next day (without noticed). When I open the bag a night time to feed him again noticed a green/grayish color in the meat so I check the rest of the food. For my surprise, Mold. Went to the store to returned. I hope and pray my dog don’t get sick.

Hi Johanna,
We apologize for the experience you had with our Freshpet Select Multi Protein Complete Meals.
We want to assure you that we take great care in the way we make our foods, from how we craft our recipes to our cooking process to ensure that they are delicious, but also safe to feed. Our recipes are pasteurized to destroy bacteria, packaged under strict hygienic conditions and then refrigerated to maintain freshness. As with any fresh food, damaged packaging will allow air to enter and result in mold formation. No products are released from our control until having undergone over 20 quality and safety tests. Please give us a call at 1-866-789-3737 so we can make up for your unpleasant incident. Have a nice day.

Regards, Genevieve, Consumer Care Team Manager

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I found this dog food in local store and was very happy that my chihuahua start eating it. She is 13 years old and very picky. Howerer I purchased last package few days ago, when I opened the bag it had very strong chemical order and color of the food was grey, instead of light pink as usual. It is beginning of October of 2018, expiration date on the package is January 19, 2019. Now I'm very concern and would not buy this brand anymore. Be careful.

Freshpet response
Hi Laura, sorry you had a bad experience with our Freshpet Select Small Dog recipe. Our goal is to create the healthiest foods possible for dogs and cats.
We want to assure you that we take great care in the way we make our foods, from how we craft our recipes to our cooking process to ensure they are delicious, but also safe to feed.
We understand it can be very unpleasant to find an off odor and color to the package and suspect it was damaged some way during the trip from our Kitchens to your home. Food safety and quality is very important to us.

Please call us on our toll free line 1-866-789-3737, so we can make this right for you. Have a good day with your dog! Regards, Genevieve, Consumer Care Team Manager

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

My dog is extremely picky. We made his food for years. Then Rocco wouldn’t touch it. We tried several different dog foods. We tried canned, dry, etc. without success. I had started to worry that my dog would end up living on dog treats as he turned his nose up at every dog food I put before him. I found Freshpet in a Target store in a refrigerator. I bought several different types. Rocco has tried the beef (it comes in a roll) and chicken nuggets, but his favorite food is the shredded chicken. Thank you for making Freshpet! Rocco and I very happy with it.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Our 6 month old mini Blue Merle Aussie had stopped eating his kibble about 3 weeks ago. I tried the tough love without giving in and giving him treats and top ups but I started to get concerned because he is a puppy and needs to eat. Thought maybe teething and hormones were to blame but it was obvious he was bloody bored and was tired of the top ups of sweet potatoes, scrambled eggs etc. It was kinda getting stressful. Every time it was feeding time he'd just walk away. So I did some research and picked up the Fresh Pet Turkey roll with blueberries and spinach grain-free. Well holy cow. He was so excited and goes crazy for meal times. I'm so grateful I found this amazing product and it's full of good stuff and he literally seems so much more happy and content. His tummy issues have stopped also.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I owe you a most heartfelt apology. You responded immediately to my original complaint. I on the other hand failed to respond in a timely manner to your generosity. You not only sent me product the very next day after our telecon, but coupons as well. I will say that my Yorkie with the least amount of teeth was very happy with the chicken roll. She just wouldn't eat the larger chunked bag bits (L2 vs L1). The other continued on the bag bits. We finally fed both with the roll, which I slice and cube into quarter inch cubes and they are happy and eating very well.

Thank you for being so consumer oriented and gracious enough to provide the alternative product. We are extremely satisfied and grateful to have such a consumer oriented response from a company that we would have believed, until dealing with you, would have blown us off as complainers. Thank you again for your customer care being genuine. IT IS SO REFRESHING TO BE VALUED AS A CUSTOMER AND NOT JUST DISMISSED! I apologize again for not affording you the same courtesy of a timely response. My only excuse is I did want a trial period with the roll before I wrote. Ya'll are wonderful!!

Original review: July 29, 2018

My 10 year old Dachshund recently went down with IVDD (pinched vertebrae nerve) and we were told she needed to lose weight. She was recently on one of the top brand dry kibble, but we switched her over to the Freshpet Stews to see what she thought. At first, we mixed it half and half with the kibble. After two weeks, she is now on straight Freshpet and not only does she love it, she's losing WEIGHT! I would HIGHLY recommend Freshpet to anyone who is looking to change their pup's diet and wants to give them a controlled amount. Bubbles is a happy, healthier dog. We are sold!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have 2 small dogs. A 1.5 year old Maltipoo and a 9 year old Chihuahua. The reason I began buying this product is because my Maltipoo was a little underweight. Although she has a healthy appetite and loves to eat! I began cutting a roll and chopping it up into tiny squares and adding it to her kibble. She loves it and she’s gained weight! My Chihuahua is more finicky. She ignores it or walks away. That’s when the puppy will eat her food too! I’m hoping the food will reduce their constant scratching as it drives me nuts and I hate to give them **. What concerns me are the dozens of negative reviews describing vomiting, bloody diarrhea and death! This terrifies me and I pray this doesn’t happen to my babies because I love them so much!

Original review: May 21, 2018

I have a rescue Bichon, he was a very picky eater, plus he acted like his food hurt him to chew. I had his jaw x-rayed, sure enough, blunt force trauma, broken jaw, jammed joints. I gave him Fresh Pet, awesome!!! He LOVES it, he waits for me to fill his bowl! No more waste, easy for him!!! Thank you for a great product I feel good feeding him.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I have two dogs, one 4 years old and one 14 years old. The 14 year old has a lot of trouble chewing and Freshpet has the ideal products for him. Both dogs really enjoy the food and it is easy to use. Although it costs a bit more I know I am giving them the best food possible.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I get a little bit of Freshpet and add a few crumbles to the regular feed recommended by our vet and our dogs now eat their dry food very quickly which was not the case prior to this change.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Freshpet is refrigerated and is only shredded chicken, peas, carrots and rice. My little dogs love it AND it’s great for them! They refuse anything else.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have a Poochon who is the pickiest eater on earth. I have tried just about every brand of dry, wet, fresh food out there and she just turns away and I end up throwing it out. I finally saw the Freshpet Vital Small Breed fresh dog food in the store and said I might as well try. Well. She loves it. She eats it every day and there is no waste. I'm so happy as I was having to feed her people food but I wanted something with dog nutrition and this is it! There are 2 different ones, she loves them both. They are small bite size pieces and when I opened the bag and smelled it, boy, I said "That smells so good that if she won't eat it I will!" Thank you for making this food. I highly recommend it for any picky eater.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have an old dog and Freshpet helps his coat and his desire to eat. Good value for the money and convenient to serve and my dog loves it. His energy level has improved greatly.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Called customer service rep to inquire as to why one of their products I have been purchasing is in short supply for several months. I have to frequently travel to 3 different stores to find one roll of cat this specific food. One specialty pet food store owner says he is at a loss and told me that he "receives only 1 roll every Tuesday"?! Store #2 says the same. I called Freshpet to see if product was going to be discontinued soon, recalled or whatever. I have been noticing that several bags of another of their products are very old and should have been removed by the distributor, also of concern to me.

The reason I started to feed this to my cats is because another brand was rancid and made all of our animals very sick last year. Now I want to know a little more about this company. The rep who was a company employee knew nothing about the products or cared much about. In my opinion if this is how they handle customer service then I am not buying this food anymore. I can only speculate as to the company culture that they have formed over at Freshpet. This is not cheap pet food either. They are on the high side of cost. I recommend everyone watch a documentary on the very flawed, self regulated pet food industry called "Pet Fooled" available on Netflix.

Original review: April 11, 2018

3 Chihuahuas and a Cheagle, needless to say meeting all the needs was getting quite daunting... until I took a chance and got my first roll! I mix it with their dry food, little warm water and a slice or so and not a nose snub in the lot! Even with 4 dogs a roll can last 5 days. Bonus is I can take a pinch, put a medication in it and they wont even spit the pill out anymore. Joy. I love my 'kids' and FreshPet rocks!

Original review: April 4, 2018

My 15 year old poodle and 3 year old yorkie love this food. They tell me when it's time to eat, and they clean their plates. The poodle is the picky eater. And it's easy to cut off how much you want them to have.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Publix in Sarasota has discontinued selling Freshpet. We have fed our dachshund Freshpet for years now and he loves the product. When we opened the package it always looks and smells fresh. Today I went to Publix to buy my weekly supply and the cooler case was empty and when I asked a manager where my product was he said it was not longer carried by Publix. He acted as surprised as I was and I am distressed. Any information as to what is going on. I am going to Petsmart and Petco to see if they have any. My puppy will not be happy.

Freshpet response

Hi Dave -- we're sorry to hear you're having trouble finding the Freshpet product your dachshund enjoys! Can you let us know which item it is, and we can look into the shipment orders for Publix near you?

In the meantime, we can definitely help you find another location to pick up Freshpet. Try our Store Locator at https://freshpet.com/storelocator/ , or give us a call on Monday at (866) 789-3737 and we can check for you.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My dogs love Freshpet chunks. My Yorkie is very picky and I have bought so many dog foods that he turns his nose up at. He will beg for Freshpet and will not give up until I fix their bowls of food. I worry about running out because he won't understand that we don't have any! Very persistent! He gives 5 stars! This is the only food that I have tried that he demands to have. I leave dry food down that he has eaten for a long time, but he ignores it and begs for the Freshpet. He says thank you for a tasty meal.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My little Yorkie loves the food. She is very healthy and has lots of energy. I’m glad to see it is rated so high. You can never tell what you are feeding your pet. And to us she’s our little girl not a dog. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I was searching for something easier to feed my dogs besides the ground beef and fresh chicken. I came across this product and decided to give it a try after researching all the ingredients. My dogs LOVE THIS!!! I cut a piece off, mash it up and warm it a little bit and mix it with their dry food. I just started using this product for 5 days so we will see what effects it has on them in the near future. Good job looking out for our fur babies. Can't wait to see what other flavors they enjoy.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My Lab absolutely loves his Freshpet chicken, he sees that bag come out of the fridge and he gets all happy crazy. I also have a English bulldog and she can only have fish products, would love to see a bag of chunk fish product one day. It's nice these days to see a company stand by their products and it's 100% real. My pets are my children and thank you Freshpet for great products.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I didn't know there were any other options for pet food other than dry food. My dogs used to have the regular dog treats, like the ones made by Purina (Beggin' Strips, Pup-Peroni, etc) but ended up getting really sick one day from them. The vet actually encouraged us to stop buying the treats in the store, and just to feed them lunch meat instead. When I saw Freshpet, and then read about it, I knew it would end up being much better than the regular processed snacks they're usually fed. And now they've been eating it for about a year and they're much happier and healthier. Love the product.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My dog is a senior dog (10 years old) and has been active and playful all his life. Recently he began to act tired and didn’t want to play anymore. He started having tummy issues and would get constipated and have stomach pains before he could go potty. I switched him to Freshpet and I have seen a tremendous change in how he feels and his tummy issues are gone! He’s a picky eater but he likes this food! I have my playful sweet dog back! Thank you to the makers of this great dog food!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

My dog is 7 years old. I’ve tried so many dog foods. I even tried the Freshpet roll. My dog liked the Freshpet roll, but LOVES the Freshpet chunks in the bag. It’s a little pricey but I warm it up and he gobbles it down in a minute. He used to walk away from his food and come back to it and now he eats every single crumb and can’t get enough. I looked at the ingredients and there is nothing bad in this food. Thank you for making my very picky dog happy!!!

Freshpet expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Freshpet makes all-natural pet food using real meat and vegetables. They don’t use preservatives in their food so you’ll find their product in the refrigerator section of the pet food aisle in your grocery store.

• Brands: Freshpet brands consist of Freshpet Select, Vital and Nature’s Fresh as their refrigerated fresh food. They also make Freshpet baked recipes made with 100 percent fresh chicken or turkey. Dognation and Dog Joy are their chewy dog treat brands and Vital Mix-ins is their whole-blend, vitamin enhanced food.

• Product selector: Freshpet’s product selector walks you through choosing the best food for your dog or cat through a series of questions. Questions include pet breed, weight, food preferences, feeding routine and where you shop for your pets food. The matching tool sets you up with the best Freshpet brand based on your answers and location.

• Food finder: Freshpet has a product finder on their website so you can find a specific brand at a store near you. Simply select the brand you want, enter your zip code and choose the mileage from your zip code you’re willing to travel. Their brands are also available online at Amazon, Jet and freshdirect.

• Comparison tool: Freshpet’s comparison tool lets you select the type of pet you have (dog or cat) and the type of food you’re currently feeding them. It pulls a list based on your selection and compare both brands’ ingredients.

• Price: While no price is listed on Freshpet’s website, their pet food is right at the same price range of other all natural pet food on sites like Walmart and Amazon.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Freshpet Company Information