It's that easy Request Information
4.67/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 15,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

46 Freshpet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: July 29, 2018

My 10 year old Dachshund recently went down with IVDD (pinched vertebrae nerve) and we were told she needed to lose weight. She was recently on one of the top brand dry kibble, but we switched her over to the Freshpet Stews to see what she thought. At first, we mixed it half and half with the kibble. After two weeks, she is now on straight Freshpet and not only does she love it, she's losing WEIGHT! I would HIGHLY recommend Freshpet to anyone who is looking to change their pup's diet and wants to give them a controlled amount. Bubbles is a happy, healthier dog. We are sold!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have 2 small dogs. A 1.5 year old Maltipoo and a 9 year old Chihuahua. The reason I began buying this product is because my Maltipoo was a little underweight. Although she has a healthy appetite and loves to eat! I began cutting a roll and chopping it up into tiny squares and adding it to her kibble. She loves it and she’s gained weight! My Chihuahua is more finicky. She ignores it or walks away. That’s when the puppy will eat her food too! I’m hoping the food will reduce their constant scratching as it drives me nuts and I hate to give them **. What concerns me are the dozens of negative reviews describing vomiting, bloody diarrhea and death! This terrifies me and I pray this doesn’t happen to my babies because I love them so much!

Original review: May 21, 2018

I have a rescue Bichon, he was a very picky eater, plus he acted like his food hurt him to chew. I had his jaw x-rayed, sure enough, blunt force trauma, broken jaw, jammed joints. I gave him Fresh Pet, awesome!!! He LOVES it, he waits for me to fill his bowl! No more waste, easy for him!!! Thank you for a great product I feel good feeding him.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I have two dogs, one 4 years old and one 14 years old. The 14 year old has a lot of trouble chewing and Freshpet has the ideal products for him. Both dogs really enjoy the food and it is easy to use. Although it costs a bit more I know I am giving them the best food possible.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I get a little bit of Freshpet and add a few crumbles to the regular feed recommended by our vet and our dogs now eat their dry food very quickly which was not the case prior to this change.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: May 4, 2018

Freshpet is refrigerated and is only shredded chicken, peas, carrots and rice. My little dogs love it AND it’s great for them! They refuse anything else.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have a Poochon who is the pickiest eater on earth. I have tried just about every brand of dry, wet, fresh food out there and she just turns away and I end up throwing it out. I finally saw the Freshpet Vital Small Breed fresh dog food in the store and said I might as well try. Well. She loves it. She eats it every day and there is no waste. I'm so happy as I was having to feed her people food but I wanted something with dog nutrition and this is it! There are 2 different ones, she loves them both. They are small bite size pieces and when I opened the bag and smelled it, boy, I said "That smells so good that if she won't eat it I will!" Thank you for making this food. I highly recommend it for any picky eater.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have an old dog and Freshpet helps his coat and his desire to eat. Good value for the money and convenient to serve and my dog loves it. His energy level has improved greatly.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Called customer service rep to inquire as to why one of their products I have been purchasing is in short supply for several months. I have to frequently travel to 3 different stores to find one roll of cat this specific food. One specialty pet food store owner says he is at a loss and told me that he "receives only 1 roll every Tuesday"?! Store #2 says the same. I called Freshpet to see if product was going to be discontinued soon, recalled or whatever. I have been noticing that several bags of another of their products are very old and should have been removed by the distributor, also of concern to me.

The reason I started to feed this to my cats is because another brand was rancid and made all of our animals very sick last year. Now I want to know a little more about this company. The rep who was a company employee knew nothing about the products or cared much about. In my opinion if this is how they handle customer service then I am not buying this food anymore. I can only speculate as to the company culture that they have formed over at Freshpet. This is not cheap pet food either. They are on the high side of cost. I recommend everyone watch a documentary on the very flawed, self regulated pet food industry called "Pet Fooled" available on Netflix.

Original review: April 11, 2018

3 Chihuahuas and a Cheagle, needless to say meeting all the needs was getting quite daunting... until I took a chance and got my first roll! I mix it with their dry food, little warm water and a slice or so and not a nose snub in the lot! Even with 4 dogs a roll can last 5 days. Bonus is I can take a pinch, put a medication in it and they wont even spit the pill out anymore. Joy. I love my 'kids' and FreshPet rocks!

Original review: April 4, 2018

My 15 year old poodle and 3 year old yorkie love this food. They tell me when it's time to eat, and they clean their plates. The poodle is the picky eater. And it's easy to cut off how much you want them to have.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Publix in Sarasota has discontinued selling Freshpet. We have fed our dachshund Freshpet for years now and he loves the product. When we opened the package it always looks and smells fresh. Today I went to Publix to buy my weekly supply and the cooler case was empty and when I asked a manager where my product was he said it was not longer carried by Publix. He acted as surprised as I was and I am distressed. Any information as to what is going on. I am going to Petsmart and Petco to see if they have any. My puppy will not be happy.

Freshpet response

Hi Dave -- we're sorry to hear you're having trouble finding the Freshpet product your dachshund enjoys! Can you let us know which item it is, and we can look into the shipment orders for Publix near you?

In the meantime, we can definitely help you find another location to pick up Freshpet. Try our Store Locator at https://freshpet.com/storelocator/ , or give us a call on Monday at (866) 789-3737 and we can check for you.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My dogs love Freshpet chunks. My Yorkie is very picky and I have bought so many dog foods that he turns his nose up at. He will beg for Freshpet and will not give up until I fix their bowls of food. I worry about running out because he won't understand that we don't have any! Very persistent! He gives 5 stars! This is the only food that I have tried that he demands to have. I leave dry food down that he has eaten for a long time, but he ignores it and begs for the Freshpet. He says thank you for a tasty meal.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My little Yorkie loves the food. She is very healthy and has lots of energy. I’m glad to see it is rated so high. You can never tell what you are feeding your pet. And to us she’s our little girl not a dog. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I was searching for something easier to feed my dogs besides the ground beef and fresh chicken. I came across this product and decided to give it a try after researching all the ingredients. My dogs LOVE THIS!!! I cut a piece off, mash it up and warm it a little bit and mix it with their dry food. I just started using this product for 5 days so we will see what effects it has on them in the near future. Good job looking out for our fur babies. Can't wait to see what other flavors they enjoy.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My Lab absolutely loves his Freshpet chicken, he sees that bag come out of the fridge and he gets all happy crazy. I also have a English bulldog and she can only have fish products, would love to see a bag of chunk fish product one day. It's nice these days to see a company stand by their products and it's 100% real. My pets are my children and thank you Freshpet for great products.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I didn't know there were any other options for pet food other than dry food. My dogs used to have the regular dog treats, like the ones made by Purina (Beggin' Strips, Pup-Peroni, etc) but ended up getting really sick one day from them. The vet actually encouraged us to stop buying the treats in the store, and just to feed them lunch meat instead. When I saw Freshpet, and then read about it, I knew it would end up being much better than the regular processed snacks they're usually fed. And now they've been eating it for about a year and they're much happier and healthier. Love the product.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

My dog is 7 years old. I’ve tried so many dog foods. I even tried the Freshpet roll. My dog liked the Freshpet roll, but LOVES the Freshpet chunks in the bag. It’s a little pricey but I warm it up and he gobbles it down in a minute. He used to walk away from his food and come back to it and now he eats every single crumb and can’t get enough. I looked at the ingredients and there is nothing bad in this food. Thank you for making my very picky dog happy!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

My dogs love it!! My black lab was very hard to feed and would only nibble over a period of time to eat his dry food no matter what I mixed with it. Now I use the rolls of Fresh Pet Select, mash it with a potato masher, mix in a small amount of dry food and warm water!! Slightly stir to mix and they are jumping in the air in anticipation!! Great product!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

My dog was always hard to please when it came to dog food. She even got tired of homemade food I made for her! When I tried the Fresh Pet refrigerated dog food she ate it right away! I now feed her 2x a day with a scoop of this dog food (any kind, but especially the loose food as opposed to the tube of it) and she gets so excited for when she can dig in. Thank you, Fresh Pet! Not only does she love it, it's healthy without needing preservatives! Woo hoo!!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

This is the only food my girls can eat. Everything else gives them upset tummies. My boys can have a little kibble, but I've noticed that the Pomeranian, has NO tear stains when eating only this. Also, the Aussie no longer needs allergy meds.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

My sheltie loves this food and is thriving on it... His teeth are much cleaner, not covered with sticky gravy and the protein content is perfect! I was concerned about letters that suggested that the garlic content might be toxic to dogs and I was aware of garlic toxicity. But the American Kennel association writes: “Studies have found it takes approximately 15 to 30 grams of garlic per kilograms of body weight to produce harmful changes in a dog’s blood. To put that into perspective, the average clove of supermarket garlic weighs between 3 and 7 grams, so your dog would have to eat a lot of garlic to get really sick”... Indeed, that means your dog would have to eat a clove of garlic for every 2+ pounds of weight!

A smidgen of garlic in their food is not going to be toxic. A 30-pound dog would have to eat the equivalent of 15 cloves of garlic...So why not put that in the ingredients list? Because it might be unnecessarily alarming? Because people should research and think... Dogs eat a lot of truly alarming and disgusting things... and they seem to survive... except for eating rocks, socks, and plastic parts... The amount of garlic in a cup of Freshpet is ok for the typical pooch who does not have a pathological allergy to allium. Thank you Freshpet for a truly wonderful and nourishing product!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I've purchased this large bag of Freshpet bacon strips from BJ's Wholesale warehouse. I didn't realize at the time that the bag had a slit in it. I was giving my dog these treats and days later the bacon turned a yellow color... I threw the bag in the garbage. I never had this experience with this product before, as my dog loves them. I still will purchase the product as it was the first time it happen. Thanks for your time!!!

Freshpet response

Hi Linda -- sorry to hear about the damaged package. We ship our food in sturdy containers, but sometimes during opening/handling they can get torn and let air in, which spoils the fresh food.

We appreciate your understanding, and we'd love to make it up to you. We'll reach out privately, so please keep an eye on your email this morning :)

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

On more than one occasion we have purchased bags of Freshpet that weren’t very fresh. After just a few days, we would notice that the food had a foul odor like rancid meat, even though the expiration date was still good. We thought we were doing our pups a favor by going “fresh”, but instead we ended up hurting them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have been feeding Freshpet to my girls for a year or so. I would love to have a new recipe like pork or shredded beef. My girls love them all!!! I found another brand that has the fresh pork with veggies and fruit also but I love the price and being able to find Freshpet in my area. I also would like to see coupons more often.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017 My two dogs love this food! They know when it comes out of the refrigerator and one demands (barks) his food asap until I get it ready. It's also good for them.

I wish I could feed it exclusively but being on fixed income I can't. If coupons were more readily available, I would take advantage of them so my two furkids could have their favorite food more often.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I've always given my 2 dogs Freshpet products & have been very happy with it. I volunteer at a wildlife rehab center, rehabbing raccoons- 2 years ago, I started giving my babies mashed Freshpet with formula to begin the weaning process-they loved it. Freshpet products are high-quality & nutritious, so I thought they would be an ideal first food for them & I was right. I continued to give them Freshpet & all of my raccoons grew to be happy, healthy adults with beautiful, shiny coats.

I feel my responsibility as a rehabber is to give my animals the very best start in life that I possibly can in preparation for their release-Freshpet made it very easy. As it can get a little expensive & it all comes out of my pocket-I reached out to Freshpet about coupons or discounts, explaining to them what I was using their products for & they responded very generously. I have told other rehabbers about my experience using Freshpet & many have started using it for the animals in their care. I've always loved the quality & ease of feeding my dogs Freshpet & now I have another reason to continue using it.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Wonderful product for our Gordon Setters. They love it mixed with kibble. Like that product is NEVER to be frozen. Easily checked as product becomes watery if frozen, then thawed. Happened once with us. Ingredients cover all necessary foods for our dogs. Very nutritious.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

This food has an extremely strong garlic scent, yet garlic is not in the ingredient list, so I called the company who confirmed that it does indeed contain garlic. When I asked why it's not listed on the package, I was told that it's under the guise of "Natural Flavors". I mentioned that garlic is toxic to dogs, and the first woman I spoke to said "Not garlic POWDER". I said yes, garlic in any form can be toxic, so she had her supervisor call me who said that it's such a small amount that it wouldn't be harmful. I want to reiterate that this food REALLY reeks of garlic. That's how I knew it was in there in the first place! It's obviously NOT the minute amount they were suggesting.

Hiding a questionable ingredient under "Natural Flavors" is sneaky and deceptive. One of their foods contains celery powder which is clearly stated on the package. Why isn't THAT hidden under "Natural Flavors" as well? Why isn't garlic listed right along with the celery powder? I'm guessing that this company knows that a lot of people are aware that garlic is not a safe/healthy ingredient and won't buy the food if they know it's in there. I won't give that stuff to my dog, and other people should know too exactly what's in this food, just to give them the choice if they want to feed it to their dog(s) or not.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My husband and I recently adopted a 5-year-old rescue from a local humane society. This poor little thing had been neglected so badly by previous owners that he wasn't even able to chew dry dog food due to dental issues. Freshpet is the reason he eats AND gets good, healthy food. Now that he's with us his dental issues are being addressed but regardless, he will be a Freshpet pup for life!

Freshpet expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Freshpet makes all-natural pet food using real meat and vegetables. They don’t use preservatives in their food so you’ll find their product in the refrigerator section of the pet food aisle in your grocery store.

• Brands: Freshpet brands consist of Freshpet Select, Vital and Nature’s Fresh as their refrigerated fresh food. They also make Freshpet baked recipes made with 100 percent fresh chicken or turkey. Dognation and Dog Joy are their chewy dog treat brands and Vital Mix-ins is their whole-blend, vitamin enhanced food.

• Product selector: Freshpet’s product selector walks you through choosing the best food for your dog or cat through a series of questions. Questions include pet breed, weight, food preferences, feeding routine and where you shop for your pets food. The matching tool sets you up with the best Freshpet brand based on your answers and location.

• Food finder: Freshpet has a product finder on their website so you can find a specific brand at a store near you. Simply select the brand you want, enter your zip code and choose the mileage from your zip code you’re willing to travel. Their brands are also available online at Amazon, Jet and freshdirect.

• Comparison tool: Freshpet’s comparison tool lets you select the type of pet you have (dog or cat) and the type of food you’re currently feeding them. It pulls a list based on your selection and compare both brands’ ingredients.

• Price: While no price is listed on Freshpet’s website, their pet food is right at the same price range of other all natural pet food on sites like Walmart and Amazon.

• Best for: pet owners who want to feed their pet natural pet food.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Freshpet Company Information

866-789-3737
freshpet.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business