2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

4.5/5 (112 ratings)

About Freshpet

Freshpet is an all-natural fresh pet food company that uses whole ingredients and no preservatives. With special diet options and real meat ingredients like poultry and beef, Freshpet prioritizes the quality and freshness of your pet’s food.

Pros

• Multiple pet food products
  • Appetizing recipes
  • Fresh, natural ingredients
  • Ethical protein sources available

Cons

• Short shelf life
  • Can be pricey

Bottom Line

Freshpet offers high-quality refrigerated pet food with an emphasis on freshness and natural ingredients. While pricey, Freshpet is a great option for people looking to feed their pets a fresh diet.

Top Freshpet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

About 9 or 10 months ago I started using Freshpet. One of mine is almost 8 and just couldn't jump up and down to get on sofa or bed ... No more being overweight and allergies are ...

Verified

We love your products. My fur babies jump for joy around the kitchen when they hear me open the bag. During this time of COVID-19 kindness is truly appreciated. I lost my job and ...

Freshpet dog food

What is Freshpet?

Freshpet produces all-natural, refrigerated pet food. Its products may be served as a complete meal or mixed with kibble to add variety to your pet’s diet. Serving instructions vary by product — for example, rolled dog food is typically cut into slices and diced into your pet’s bowl.

All Freshpet products must be refrigerated and used within seven days of opening. Products like its chicken or beef patties may be frozen, but check the product’s packaging for confirmation and complete storage instructions.

To reduce your pet's chance for stomach discomfort, it’s recommended that you transition to new foods slowly. Begin by mixing a small amount of Freshpet in with your pet’s current food and increase the amount every few days. After 10 days, your pet can be fully transitioned to Freshpet.

You can find Freshpet products at major grocery stores, pet stores and online retailers. Its Homestyle Creations product line can be ordered directly from Freshpet.

Freshpet food

Freshpet offers multiple product lines and sells food for nearly any cat or dog. Its full list of food lines includes:

• Freshpet Select Dog & Cat Food: Freshpet Select includes 100% natural poultry, beef or fish. The company also offers a no-meat option. This fresh, preservative-free product line includes rolled soft food, bagged food and stew-style wet food.
  • Vital Dog & Cat Food: Vital recipes are 100% non-GMO with no preservatives, and they offer a complete and balanced diet for pets in all life stages. Choose from bagged or rolled pet food with a variety of protein sources for dogs and cats.
  • Nature’s Fresh Dog & Cat Food: Nature’s Fresh uses local, ethically sourced ingredients that are antibiotic-free and vegetarian-fed. Shop rolls or bagged food for dogs and cats.
  • Deli Fresh Dog Food: Freshpet’s Deli Fresh dog food line uses antibiotic-free chicken and non-GMO ingredients. The recipes are grain-free and only available at Costco wholesale stores.
  • Homestyle Creations Dog Food: The Homestyle Creations line combines frozen chicken or beef patties with fresh fruit or vegetable mixers for a complete, balanced meal for dogs. These recipes use 100% natural ingredients with no preservatives.
  • Fresh Treats for Dogs: Freshpet’s Dog Nation and Dog Joy treat lines feature real meat as the first ingredient with no byproducts or artificial flavors. They contain whole, limited ingredients and are fully cooked for your dog to enjoy.

Freshpet prices

Freshpet doesn’t fully disclose pricing on its website, but depending on your pet’s size, health needs and preferred product line, prices range from $90 to $400 per month. Below, we’ve charted the average cost per day for Freshpet’s products based on a 10-pound cat and 50-pound dog.

Product lineAverage cost per day (cats)Average cost per day (dogs)
Freshpet Select$2 - $4$3 - $13
Vital$2$7
Nature’s Fresh$1$5
Deli FreshSee Costco pricing
Homestyle Creations$14
Fresh Treats$5 - $7 per bag

Freshpet FAQ

How long is Freshpet good after opening?
Freshpet products are good for seven days after opening and must be refrigerated at all times.
Do vets recommend Freshpet dog food?
Your vet may make a food recommendation based on your dog’s health and medical history. Freshpet’s pet food is high protein, so it may not be right for all dogs. Ask your vet if they recommend Freshpet for your pet.
Is Freshpet food healthy?
Freshpet uses high-quality ingredients to provide a healthy, balanced diet for dogs and cats. If your pet has specific dietary needs or health issues, speak to your vet about whether Freshpet is the best food for them.
Can Freshpet be delivered?
Freshpet can be ordered online directly from Freshpet or from major online retailers and pet stores
How do you feed your pet Freshpet?
Freshpet is a refrigerated soft food that can be served as a complete meal or as a topper. Rolled meals are diced before serving, while wet and bagged foods can be poured directly into your pet’s bowl. Consult the instructions on your Freshpet product for specific feeding instructions.

Is Freshpet good?

Freshpet is tailor-made for pet owners who are concerned about the source and quality of pet food ingredients. Although its product line is pricey, we like its variety of protein options and the emphasis on small-batch freshness. We recommend Freshpet for pet owners interested in fresh or raw feeding and who don’t mind paying a little extra for quality ingredients.

Freshpet Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: March 5, 2021

My Shih tzu would not eat after his best friend (my poodle) passed away, they had been together for over 10 years every day. Heartbreaking for everyone. I went through all types of different food but he was just so depressed he would not eat. He drank water and ate his favorite snack but that was it, and certainly not enough to sustain him.

I finally decided to try FreshPet, always wanted to try it but with two dogs it was just to expensive for my budget. But now I only have my Gizmo so I said let’s give it a try. He absolutely loves it, his mood and actively level has improved so much. He is much older as well and he has heart problems so I don’t know how much longer my Gizmo will be with us, but between his meds and FreshPet he is doing so well and I will continue to feed him this food. My heart breaks when I think about him leaving us, but when he sees me putting his food in his bowl his tail wags like a new puppy and that makes me so happy. Thank you FreshPet for putting life back into my Gizmo. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Freshpet response

Hello Sandra! Thank you for sharing your story with us. We are so happy our food has made such a difference to your sweet pup’s life. We are so glad you are part of the Freshpet family. ???? Gizmo is gorgeous!! Have a great day! Genevieve, Consumer Care Team

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

My American Bulldog was about 15 lbs overweight and the vet recommended changing her food to a healthier fresh menu instead of the dry kibble she had been eating, although it was a high-end brand she loved. I slowly switched her over to FreshPet simply because the ingredients looked good and it was a lot more affordable than other fresh pet food delivery options online and it was readily available in my local grocery store.

Shiloh already lost 3.5 lbs in the first 2 weeks and she LICKS HER BOWL clean every meal! She knows what I'm reaching for at feeding time when I open the fridge door and gets so excited about her meals now where before she was sort of apathetic. She's always been a healthy eater but it was more just filling the hunger and getting a job done...now she shows pure happiness when her bowl comes out of the microwave. Lol. (Yes, I warm it up for her.) I asked my vet about the ingredients list and she approved, especially after Shiloh dropped a few pounds. Only 11-12 lbs to go and I'm sure we can get her to a healthy weight on this new diet. Oh and our perfectly healthy weight German Shepherd who is a PICKY eater absolutely goes nuts over this food as well!

Freshpet response

It is so nice to hear from you Diana! We are happy that Shiloh has begun to lose weight, and enjoys our food. It is also nice to hear that your picky German Shepherd is also enjoying Freshpet. We wish you all the best. Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

I have 2 small dogs, a cavalier from a puppy mill with complicated digestive issues and also a high energy, under weight, picky eating Pekingese. I have seen the Fresh Pet commercials and have always thought, "here we go again, another dog food with a lot of promises with mediocre results." My past experience with dog food products and promises has been either the dog is disinterested in the dog food or they like it but do not tolerate the product. HOWEVER, FRESH PET lived up to their word. On a whim, I told my husband to pick up FRESH PET at the store. Fortunately, it was in stock. My dogs were IMMEDIATELY interested. They actually ate it on their own.

Typically, I have to hand feed both dogs. This is a time consuming endeavor. I then held my breath, hoping they would tolerate the food. Not only did they tolerate the food, Rudy my Cavalier, had great output-which is not the norm. Both dogs have tolerated the food with ZERO transition from their last dog food. The next hurdle was the dogs' continued interest in the food. GUESS WHAT? They love it as much today as the first day they put their noses into a bowl of FRESH PET.

I cannot tell you what a positive difference this has made not only in the health and nutrition of my dogs, but in the pet parent experience for me. Meal time is no longer a chore, but a pleasure. Whenever I get the bag of fresh pet out of the fridge, both dogs get excited. The food actually smells delicious. Everyone knows the way to the heart and stomach of a dog is through their nose and this stuff does the trick. My dogs have let me know that FRESH PET is the food for them-eating speaks louder than words. My dogs are eating with enthusiasm at every meal. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FRESH PET! THIS IS A GAME CHANGER. Please keep making this quality product using this dog friendly formula. It is amazing! Elizabeth ** RN

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us to share this wonderful story. Our goal here at Freshpet is to provide our fur babies with the healthiest, freshest foods possible. We hope your pups will continue to enjoy our food. Stay well. Kindest regards, Angela with the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Bailey wouldn't eat after her brother passed away 2 years ago. She would eat maybe 2-3 times a week. After a rough bout of pancreatitis 4 years ago I was told that she had to always have to eat a food with a fat content under 10%. With food brands always changing and canceling a specific food I was about to give up on her. Her bloodwork was getting worse and I was told that she would need to see specialists. I found Freshpet dog food in the grocery store one day and decided to give it a try. At first she turned her nose up to and and refused to eat. I then began mixing it with pumpkin and sweet potatoes. We went through this for a few weeks and one day I noticed that she was becoming more active and eating without any issues.

The following meal I decided to try giving her Freshpet without anything else. That day she ate her meal and ran into the kitchen to seek out more. That was the day that she began eating her meals without any issues. From that day forward we began feeding both of our dogs Freshpet. I did notice that the food she enjoyed the most was Freshpet Nature's Fresh Turkey with spinach cranberries and blueberries. This food had her so excited she began eating out of her brother's bowl, Something she's never done. I can honestly say that I see the puppy we once knew, in the end Freshpet dog food saved her life and gave me my happiness back. I Have posted a couple of videos on TikTok under the screen name of @mrksd04. I would welcome you to take a look at them and feel free to use them on your own social media sites. THANK YOU!!

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for sharing Bailey's touching story. It is wonderful to hear about the positive response she has had since eating Freshpet! We wish you and your family all the best! Stay well. Kindest Regards, Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

My rescued pup was having gut and skin issues. I tried different crunchy food and finally found a good one that was grain free, corn free and the first 5 ingredients were all good stuff, his bathroom habits got a little better but not totally and still had itching. SO, I did a little more research and found my (CANNED) food could be the real issue. I switched the canned stuff out for Vital Fresh pet I found at Petsmart and it has made a world of difference. No more talking gut, stools are regular and his skin is even better. No more dandruff. He loves the new (wet) choice of food and sits in his spots just waiting and staring at me while I prepare it. The big loaf gets us about 2 weeks as a topper (he is a 65 lb dog) and I think spend less in a month than I did buying the big cans wet food.

Freshpet response

Hi Cori - Wow, we are so thrilled to hear how our Vital food has made such a positive change in your pup! Stories like yours are the reason we do what we do. Thank you for taking the time to share your happy "tail" and we wish your pup a long and healthy life :)

Original review: July 10, 2021

I had been giving my shorkie Fresh Pet for several months. I noticed he started vomiting and having diarrhea. He also wouldn’t touch his food sometimes. This is the only food I had been giving him because he liked it at first and was very picky. I took him to vet and they couldn’t find anything wrong but told me to keep an eye on him. That’s when I started paying attention to his food and decided to switch it because he wouldn’t touch it anymore. The vomiting and diarrhea stopped immediately. So I waited for a while and decided to try the fresh pet again. He vomited 30 mins after I had given it to him. So I don’t know if the formula or protein is too high for certain dogs. Or if the food was molded. I see it was recalled a few weeks ago but should have been recalled months before.

I came here to do a review because fresh pet is filtering or blocking the bad reviews on their site. It will say your review has been submitted but when I look for my review on their site I can’t find it. Their site only has 3 and 4 stars from customers. I’m grateful that I caught it in time before my dog developed serious stomach issues. I had to give him probiotics to get his stomach back on track. I will never buy anything from this company again. Especially since I tried to review them twice and I can’t find it. This tells me they have no integrity and don’t care about me or my pet. I also notice a few months back you couldn’t find the food online or in the store. Now their bags have been given a fresh look. I think they already knew something was wrong with this food. And I lost money on the food I threw away.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Our animals (1 dog, 4 cats) love to have a slice in the morning for breakfast of the rolls. For the dog, I buy the HUGE roll, slice it up, freeze it and it lasts about 4-5 weeks. Thank you for producing a great product.

Freshpet response

Hi Stacey - we are glad to hear that your pets love our food! Thank you so much for sharing the Freshpet love! - Freshpet Consumer Care

Original review: May 4, 2021

My dogs love the loaves. Even my picky 12 year old Maltipoo! My other dog, a 14 year old Papillion, has an auto immune disease and it's a great way to keep her healthy. When it's dinner time they bark and whine, they get sooo excited!

Freshpet response

Hi Irene - It makes us so happy to hear how much your pups love our food! We are thrilled to make super yummy pet food that keeps pets nourished. Thank you so much for sharing the love! - Freshpet Consumer Care

Original review: May 4, 2021

While I cannot say definitively that this food was the cause, our previously healthy two year old toy dog ate this food and threw up a few hours later. She continued to throw up and couldn't even keep water down. We had never fed her Freshpet before. We took her to the vet who said she had a bout of pancreatitis. That was the first and last time we buy Fresh Pet. Again, while I cannot personally confirm the veracity of mold being an issue with this food, I've seen many discussions regarding mold problems associated with Fresh Pet.

Freshpet response

Hello Kira, sorry to hear about your experience. We will reach out to you directly in order to get more information. Our pups are family and mean so much to us. Regards, Genevieve

Original review: April 8, 2021

I contacted customer care to inquire if they ever offered promotions or coupons on certain sites and they wrote me back stating that they would mail me some coupons! How nice is that!! This year has been So Hard and I love my little guys more than anything and they now love Fresh Pet food.. I am still unemployed and hopefully going back to work soon so them taking the time to mail me coupons means the world to me. :) Sammy and Joey thank you and I thank you too!! ❤️

Freshpet response

Thank you Carmella for sharing your wonderful Freshpet story with us. We're so happy to hear that mealtime is now so enjoyable for Sammy and Joey. Regards, Genevieve- Consumer Care Team

Freshpet Company Information