2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.51/5

Freshpet is an all-natural fresh pet food company that uses whole ingredients and no preservatives. With special diet options and real meat ingredients like poultry and beef, Freshpet prioritizes the quality and freshness of your pet’s food.

BOTTOM LINE

Freshpet offers high-quality refrigerated pet food with an emphasis on freshness and natural ingredients. While pricey, Freshpet is a great option for people looking to feed their pets a fresh diet.

PROS

• Multiple pet food products
  • Appetizing recipes
  • Fresh, natural ingredients
  • Ethical protein sources available

CONS

• Short shelf life
  • Can be pricey

Top Freshpet Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

About 9 or 10 months ago I started using Freshpet. One of mine is almost 8 and just couldn't jump up and down to get on sofa or bed ... No more being overweight and allergies are improving. They are different babies ... I will forever be grateful to Freshpet. I had tried so many brands.

We love your products. My fur babies jump for joy around the kitchen when they hear me open the bag. During this time of COVID-19 kindness is truly appreciated. I lost my job and your company providing coupons to help me in my time of need. From the bottom of my heart thank you.

Freshpet dog food

What is Freshpet?

Freshpet produces all-natural, refrigerated pet food. Its products may be served as a complete meal or mixed with kibble to add variety to your pet’s diet. Serving instructions vary by product — for example, rolled dog food is typically cut into slices and diced into your pet’s bowl.

All Freshpet products must be refrigerated and used within seven days of opening. Products like its chicken or beef patties may be frozen, but check the product’s packaging for confirmation and complete storage instructions.

To reduce your pet's chance for stomach discomfort, it’s recommended that you transition to new foods slowly. Begin by mixing a small amount of Freshpet in with your pet’s current food and increase the amount every few days. After 10 days, your pet can be fully transitioned to Freshpet.

You can find Freshpet products at major grocery stores, pet stores and online retailers. Its Homestyle Creations product line can be ordered directly from Freshpet.

Freshpet food

Freshpet offers multiple product lines and sells food for nearly any cat or dog. Its full list of food lines includes:

• Freshpet Select Dog & Cat Food: Freshpet Select includes 100% natural poultry, beef or fish. The company also offers a no-meat option. This fresh, preservative-free product line includes rolled soft food, bagged food and stew-style wet food.
  • Vital Dog & Cat Food: Vital recipes are 100% non-GMO with no preservatives, and they offer a complete and balanced diet for pets in all life stages. Choose from bagged or rolled pet food with a variety of protein sources for dogs and cats.
  • Nature’s Fresh Dog & Cat Food: Nature’s Fresh uses local, ethically sourced ingredients that are antibiotic-free and vegetarian-fed. Shop rolls or bagged food for dogs and cats.
  • Deli Fresh Dog Food: Freshpet’s Deli Fresh dog food line uses antibiotic-free chicken and non-GMO ingredients. The recipes are grain-free and only available at Costco wholesale stores.
  • Homestyle Creations Dog Food: The Homestyle Creations line combines frozen chicken or beef patties with fresh fruit or vegetable mixers for a complete, balanced meal for dogs. These recipes use 100% natural ingredients with no preservatives.
  • Fresh Treats for Dogs: Freshpet’s Dog Nation and Dog Joy treat lines feature real meat as the first ingredient with no byproducts or artificial flavors. They contain whole, limited ingredients and are fully cooked for your dog to enjoy.

Freshpet prices

Freshpet doesn’t fully disclose pricing on its website, but depending on your pet’s size, health needs and preferred product line, prices range from $90 to $400 per month. Below, we’ve charted the average cost per day for Freshpet’s products based on a 10-pound cat and 50-pound dog.

Product lineAverage cost per day (cats)Average cost per day (dogs)
Freshpet Select$2 - $4$3 - $13
Vital$2$7
Nature’s Fresh$1$5
Deli FreshSee Costco pricing
Homestyle Creations$14
Fresh Treats$5 - $7 per bag

Freshpet FAQ

How long is Freshpet good after opening?
Freshpet products are good for seven days after opening and must be refrigerated at all times.
Do vets recommend Freshpet dog food?
Your vet may make a food recommendation based on your dog’s health and medical history. Freshpet’s pet food is high protein, so it may not be right for all dogs. Ask your vet if they recommend Freshpet for your pet.
Is Freshpet food healthy?
Freshpet uses high-quality ingredients to provide a healthy, balanced diet for dogs and cats. If your pet has specific dietary needs or health issues, speak to your vet about whether Freshpet is the best food for them.
Can Freshpet be delivered?
Freshpet can be ordered online directly from Freshpet or from major online retailers and pet stores
How do you feed your pet Freshpet?
Freshpet is a refrigerated soft food that can be served as a complete meal or as a topper. Rolled meals are diced before serving, while wet and bagged foods can be poured directly into your pet’s bowl. Consult the instructions on your Freshpet product for specific feeding instructions.

Is Freshpet good?

Freshpet is tailor-made for pet owners who are concerned about the source and quality of pet food ingredients. Although its product line is pricey, we like its variety of protein options and the emphasis on small-batch freshness. We recommend Freshpet for pet owners interested in fresh or raw feeding and who don’t mind paying a little extra for quality ingredients.

Freshpet Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: March 5, 2021

My Shih tzu would not eat after his best friend (my poodle) passed away, they had been together for over 10 years every day. Heartbreaking for everyone. I went through all types of different food but he was just so depressed he would not eat. He drank water and ate his favorite snack but that was it, and certainly not enough to sustain him.

I finally decided to try FreshPet, always wanted to try it but with two dogs it was just to expensive for my budget. But now I only have my Gizmo so I said let’s give it a try. He absolutely loves it, his mood and actively level has improved so much. He is much older as well and he has heart problems so I don’t know how much longer my Gizmo will be with us, but between his meds and FreshPet he is doing so well and I will continue to feed him this food. My heart breaks when I think about him leaving us, but when he sees me putting his food in his bowl his tail wags like a new puppy and that makes me so happy. Thank you FreshPet for putting life back into my Gizmo. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Freshpet response

Hello Sandra! Thank you for sharing your story with us. We are so happy our food has made such a difference to your sweet pup’s life. We are so glad you are part of the Freshpet family. ???? Gizmo is gorgeous!! Have a great day! Genevieve, Consumer Care Team

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

My American Bulldog was about 15 lbs overweight and the vet recommended changing her food to a healthier fresh menu instead of the dry kibble she had been eating, although it was a high-end brand she loved. I slowly switched her over to FreshPet simply because the ingredients looked good and it was a lot more affordable than other fresh pet food delivery options online and it was readily available in my local grocery store.

Shiloh already lost 3.5 lbs in the first 2 weeks and she LICKS HER BOWL clean every meal! She knows what I'm reaching for at feeding time when I open the fridge door and gets so excited about her meals now where before she was sort of apathetic. She's always been a healthy eater but it was more just filling the hunger and getting a job done...now she shows pure happiness when her bowl comes out of the microwave. Lol. (Yes, I warm it up for her.) I asked my vet about the ingredients list and she approved, especially after Shiloh dropped a few pounds. Only 11-12 lbs to go and I'm sure we can get her to a healthy weight on this new diet. Oh and our perfectly healthy weight German Shepherd who is a PICKY eater absolutely goes nuts over this food as well!

Freshpet response

It is so nice to hear from you Diana! We are happy that Shiloh has begun to lose weight, and enjoys our food. It is also nice to hear that your picky German Shepherd is also enjoying Freshpet. We wish you all the best. Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

I have 2 small dogs, a cavalier from a puppy mill with complicated digestive issues and also a high energy, under weight, picky eating Pekingese. I have seen the Fresh Pet commercials and have always thought, "here we go again, another dog food with a lot of promises with mediocre results." My past experience with dog food products and promises has been either the dog is disinterested in the dog food or they like it but do not tolerate the product. HOWEVER, FRESH PET lived up to their word. On a whim, I told my husband to pick up FRESH PET at the store. Fortunately, it was in stock. My dogs were IMMEDIATELY interested. They actually ate it on their own.

Typically, I have to hand feed both dogs. This is a time consuming endeavor. I then held my breath, hoping they would tolerate the food. Not only did they tolerate the food, Rudy my Cavalier, had great output-which is not the norm. Both dogs have tolerated the food with ZERO transition from their last dog food. The next hurdle was the dogs' continued interest in the food. GUESS WHAT? They love it as much today as the first day they put their noses into a bowl of FRESH PET.

I cannot tell you what a positive difference this has made not only in the health and nutrition of my dogs, but in the pet parent experience for me. Meal time is no longer a chore, but a pleasure. Whenever I get the bag of fresh pet out of the fridge, both dogs get excited. The food actually smells delicious. Everyone knows the way to the heart and stomach of a dog is through their nose and this stuff does the trick. My dogs have let me know that FRESH PET is the food for them-eating speaks louder than words. My dogs are eating with enthusiasm at every meal. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FRESH PET! THIS IS A GAME CHANGER. Please keep making this quality product using this dog friendly formula. It is amazing! Elizabeth ** RN

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us to share this wonderful story. Our goal here at Freshpet is to provide our fur babies with the healthiest, freshest foods possible. We hope your pups will continue to enjoy our food. Stay well. Kindest regards, Angela with the Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Bailey wouldn't eat after her brother passed away 2 years ago. She would eat maybe 2-3 times a week. After a rough bout of pancreatitis 4 years ago I was told that she had to always have to eat a food with a fat content under 10%. With food brands always changing and canceling a specific food I was about to give up on her. Her bloodwork was getting worse and I was told that she would need to see specialists. I found Freshpet dog food in the grocery store one day and decided to give it a try. At first she turned her nose up to and and refused to eat. I then began mixing it with pumpkin and sweet potatoes. We went through this for a few weeks and one day I noticed that she was becoming more active and eating without any issues.

The following meal I decided to try giving her Freshpet without anything else. That day she ate her meal and ran into the kitchen to seek out more. That was the day that she began eating her meals without any issues. From that day forward we began feeding both of our dogs Freshpet. I did notice that the food she enjoyed the most was Freshpet Nature's Fresh Turkey with spinach cranberries and blueberries. This food had her so excited she began eating out of her brother's bowl, Something she's never done. I can honestly say that I see the puppy we once knew, in the end Freshpet dog food saved her life and gave me my happiness back. I Have posted a couple of videos on TikTok under the screen name of @mrksd04. I would welcome you to take a look at them and feel free to use them on your own social media sites. THANK YOU!!

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for sharing Bailey's touching story. It is wonderful to hear about the positive response she has had since eating Freshpet! We wish you and your family all the best! Stay well. Kindest Regards, Angela from the Freshpet Consumer Care Team.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I adopted my chihuahua, Rosie, about a year and a half ago. I have had the hardest time finding a food for her. We started with canned, then frozen raw, then freeze-dried raw. Each time I changed her food, she would fast for three days. When traveling, she would refuse to eat her normal food. Once we got home, it would be another three day fast before she would eat dog food. I started her on raw because I want her to have the best, freshest food out there. I thought this was my best choice (even though she didn't really like it).

This semester, I took a class where we learn about different business related paperwork, formatting, and generally how to write as a professional. For part of the semester, our work had to be based on a publicly traded company, and I chose Freshpet because it was pet related and I somewhat recognized the name. While doing these projects, I had to pretend to be an employee, writing memorandums, emails, and a white paper for Freshpet. In my white paper, I researched why someone should choose Freshpet over raw or kibble, and I ended up convincing myself.

There is no other food on the shelves that can really compare. Freshpet is cooked in a way that preserves as much nutritional value as possible, has responsibly sourced ingredients, and it smells (and probably tastes) just like leftovers! When I took a piece to see if Rosie would try it, she bit my fingers trying to get at it. I hand-fed her the portion of food she was supposed to have for her first day transitioning because while I was trying to put it away, she'd be jumping at my legs and whining for more! When I gave her Freshpet in a bowl (separate from her raw food) she ran over and licked it clean! I have never seen this dog so excited to eat. She followed me around the house for at least ten minutes after she finished looking up at me like I had more to give her.

The past few days where she has had only Freshpet, she reminds me when it is time to feed her (which she never used to do!). I have noticed that her bowel movements are more regular, she has much more energy, and with such easy portioning, she is losing weight in a healthy way. She is a much happier dog and I am a much happier owner. She is finally a dog that is excited to eat! Thanks, Freshpet!

Original review: April 8, 2021

Great product, my dog has diabetes and works well with her. I would really appreciate coupons to help out with the price. I can trust your food with my dog. Your employees have been nice to me on the phone. I would truly appreciate it if you could keep sending me coupons due to my low household income. Thanks again, sincerely Fred **.

Freshpet response

Hi Fred. Thanks so much for providing your wonderful feedback. We do not have a coupon program but be sure to sign up for our newsletter at Freshpet.com to be kept up to date on special offers and giveaways. Have a lovely day with your pup! Regards, Genevieve- Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 30, 2021

I have been purchasing FreshPet for our 4 year old dog and when we first began he had lost interest in eating his regular dry food so I had always wanted to try this and it came to our nearby grocery store so I did, I purchased the tender chicken roll and he loved it and would eat his food right away when we fed him. The grocery store ran out of the roll so I purchased the bag and noticed afterwards that he had no interest in eating his food which we would mix with his dry food. He threw up a couple of times and was listless.

Figuring that it was the FreshPet, we threw out the bag of food and then bought the rolls which he was fine with and now the same thing has happened, we bought the bag of tender chicken because our grocery store had run out of the usual rolls that we buy and he has eaten it for a few days and then one day he stopped eating. He would go to his food bowl and smell it and turn away. He threw up a couple of times and is not very energetic. I told my son to pick out the FreshPet out of his food bowl and see if he'll eat and as soon as my son put the bowl down, our dog ate after not having any food all day.

This morning we fed him without the FreshPet and sure enough he ate. The expiration date is in July of 2021 in case you're wondering. When I bought this bag the grocery store only had the large bags which were $19.99 and now I have to throw it out with half the bag full. If you are going to make dog food, please, please be sure to put only the best fresh ingredients.

Freshpet response

Hello Andrea. We're very sorry you had this experience and would like to do what we can to make things right. This is certainly not what you should expect from Freshpet. We will be reaching out to you directly for additional information. Regards, Genevieve-Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 27, 2021

I found my answer why this is happening in your FAQ. My 4 pets love your Freshpet foods and it is really scary when I can't find it in the stores as they will not eat anything else. I really love the convenience of your foods also.

Freshpet response

Hi Sandra. Thank you so much for providing your wonderful feedback to us. We really value our Freshpet family, so we're always here to help in any way we can. Regards, Genevieve, Consumer Care Team ????

Original review: March 26, 2021

I love this and it has been such a life saver for my 16 year old Yorkie who has lost all his teeth and was such a picky eater but eats this and even stands and waits for it...I am so grateful I have found this and don't know how much longer my fur baby would have lived without teeth and being able to chew. What a great product. I am forever grateful.

Freshpet response

Hi Leisa! Knowing that our food has made such a positive impact for your pup just made our day! Thank you for sharing your story with us. Genevieve, Consumer Care Team

Original review: March 24, 2021

I submitted a question about coupons and received a quick response and was informed that coupons are on the way!! I can’t wait for my pets to try out the Freshpet products! We are so beyond excited! Thanks for everything, you guys rock!!

Freshpet response

Hi Shelley! We are happy your furbabies want to try Freshpet. Please let us know how they enjoyed our products. Have a nice day. Regards, Genevieve, Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Freshpet Company Information