2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.14/5

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 20,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

Freshpet Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

We have a Belgian Tervuren Shepherd. They are notorious for being picky eaters. The phrase, "They'll eat when they're hungry.", does NOT apply. He's a little over two years old and this has been a problem since we got him at four months old. We have tried EVERYTHING. Mixing other foods into dry food, wet food with dry food, just wet food, food with gravy, etc. You get the idea. After some personal issues where he was taken, I finally got him back. He was 20 lbs underweight which is quite a bit for a dog that averages 55 lbs. I was desperate to get him to eat. I was mixing scrambled eggs, canned chicken, mac & cheese, gravy, boiled eggs, cheese, and dog food in various combinations. I try to get him to eat twice a day. For three weeks I've been doing this and it's been hit or miss with eating.

I was at the store three days ago and decided to buy a 1 lb roll of the chicken. My intent was to mix it with something else. I decided to try it by itself. I cut up half the roll into bite size pieces. I hand fed him one small piece and put it in his bowl. It was gone in five minutes. I was holding my breath. He's eaten something before only to turn his nose at it again. For three days now, I've fed him the chicken, beef, and chicken/turkey flavors. He has eaten it all every time I've given it to him. I wish I could find the words to tell you how much this means to me. His life was at risk and this food has helped turn the corner on getting him to eat so he'll gain weight and improve his health. Thank you for saving my dog's life.

Freshpet response

Hi Robin, Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Hearing about the transformation that your sweet pup went through thanks to our food just made our day. We are SO thankful that you all are part of the Freshpet family.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

My Toy Poodle is very picky and won't eat much food. I saw this food at Sam's Club and decided to try it. To my surprise, my dog loved it! I was online looking at reviews and became a little worried about one of the ingredients in the food. It is carrageenan. From what I read, it doesn't look like it is a good thing to put in food and is indigestible. The article I read makes me worry that I shouldn't be giving it to my dog even though my dog loves the food. I wish they would take this one ingredient out of their pet food and I would feel much better about giving it to her.

Freshpet response

Hi Karen, Thank you for your feedback. We value the opinions of our pet parents, and we would like to address your concerns about this ingredient. Undegraded carrageenan is found in some of our recipes at low levels, and it's only included to help maintain the form and texture.

Undegraded carrageenan has been found safe for use in both human and pet food by the FDA, USDA, and is deemed natural by the National Organic Standards Board. We also took things a step further & consulted with animal nutrition experts before ever considering using this ingredient. Because of this, and based on data presented by food safety and toxicology experts, we know it to be a safe ingredient at the levels we are using.

Regardless, we completely respect your thoughts & opinions, and appreciate you allowing us to explain things on our end a bit further. We wish you all the best

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I brought a beautiful 5 month old Labradoodle into our family about 11 months ago. For the first 7 months we went through a bunch of different dog foods from very expensive to completely inexpensive to try to help with his digestion as he was always have loose sometimes runny poops that smelled horribly bad. One day I was looking in the grocery aisle for something new to try yet again and decided to take a chance on Freshpet. I mean nothing else up until now was working and I was starting to get extremely concern that my sweet Bentley was not getting proper nutrition, and such unhealthy loose and runny stools. I grabbed a small roll of the beef. He loved it and from that very first poop after his first serving of Freshpet, he had a normal firm poop.

I could not have been happier as when switching foods can always cause digestion issues until their systems get used to the change. Since that very first time he has never had a problem with loose or runny stools! He is happy and more lively and his coat is shining! I am soooo glad I decided to try this dog food that day. He has been eating this food for a few months now. We have tried a few different flavors and he loves them all and has had no issues with any of it. Thank you so much for creating this food. It truest has turned around the health of my sweet boy!

Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story with us. Sweet Bentley is absolutely beautiful. We are so happy you are part of our Freshpet family.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Our pugs are 7 years old and have always been on dry kibble, sometimes with added pet-friendly pumpkin added. In February 2019, our female pug became severely ill. She vomited all day, couldn't keep water down, and was shaking. We had noticed over the previous months she had increased in size too. We took her to the vet and had to get her anti nausea medication and subcutaneous fluid treatment. We still didn't know what was wrong. I was starting to worry that she had bloat. For the next few days, she wouldn't eat or drink and would shake at times. Then we saw the FreshPet commercial with the pug in it. We decided then to give it a try. Our girl pug loved it and started eating again and regained her strength. Our boy pug loved it too. They've been on it since February 2019 and since then both pugs look slimmer and less bloated than they were when they were eating dry high quality kibble. They're more active now.

The pugs look like they've lost weight even though they haven't exercised more than usual and look very healthy now. They drink less water now too as before they would drink a lot which made me worry about their health - we think the dry kibble was making the pugs bloated and dehydrated. They love FreshPet so much. Although the cost of the food is more than what we were spending before on dry kibble, it's totally worth it and possibly saves us hundreds if not thousands in potential vet bills. It's worth the prevention. Thank you FreshPet for saving our pugs!

Original review: April 26, 2019

My little girl, RubyRoo, is super fussy and the only food she has previously eaten straight away is home made meals. I have tried every brand of dog food available in supermarkets and online but she has never went straight to her bowl or been excited when I was serving them up. So, 3 days ago, I was shopping and decided to look in the Freshpet chiller. I'd previously presumed it was going to be too expensive so didn't bother (big mistake!).

I was pleasantly surprised to see how good value the range is! And the chiller was mostly empty which is a good endorsement too. So I took a chance and picked up a 2.7kg roll of grain free chicken. I got home and immediately prepped a perfectly measured portion for my girl (thanks to the handy portion measures on the packaging).

Ruby jumped up as soon as she smelled it, then ate the entire amount in one go. That's never happened before with any other dog food. I've paid 5X the amount that Freshpet costs and Ruby just hasn't been too fussed about those more expensive brands. Ruby has a sensitive tummy and skin too. Even though I didn't introduce Freshpet gradually, her tummy has settled and improved immediately. Her poops are solid again and she is much happier and energetic in general.

After she has finished her food, she comes and jumps in my knee and gives me big kisses and cuddles (her way of saying thank you, awww).

So, do I recommend Freshpet? You betcha. But more importantly, Ruby does! She's always had a lovely whiney coat but she's looking even lovelier, and happier too. All dog parents know when they're pupper is smiling, and my girl smiles a lot when she's just been fed now :). Meal times no longer a chore, me trying to make her food more appealing either. I just serve and she eats it up. If you are in any doubt about trying Freshpet, just go for it, it's great value so give it a shot. I'm pretty certain your four legged friend will love you a little more for it :).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: March 24, 2020

We live in Northern Alberta where good quality food is especially important for our dog, Quinn, to be able to handle the cold weather. Although we do not have a supplier of FreshPet in close proximity, she absolutely loves FreshPet treats and product whenever we are able to pick it up. FreshPet goes beyond providing excellent dog food and treats, but they have a fantastic customer service department. They are ready to answer any questions you have. We would without hesitation recommend FreshPet products to all of our fellow dog-parents.

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for your kind words, Kaitlin! The pictures you sent us of your crazy girl are just beautiful! We wish you guys all the best and stay well. Kind regards, Angela

Original review: March 20, 2020

For year, we have been feeding our 2 huskies aged 12 (Bear) and 6 (Kaya) the Costco Kirkland Salmon brand as Kaya had allergies to many other brands with lots of itching and scratching. In December 2019, Bear was diagnosed with diabetes and then Feb 27, 2020 he had a seizure. We decided to change their food to Fresh Pet and these are our incredible findings…

1) No allergies noted on either dog.

2) Minimal dog excrement waste in the yard compared with the other brand.

3) Their demeanor changed. Instead of being hyper and impatient after they ate the Costco food, making it hard for us to eat our breakfast, now once they eat the Fresh Pet food, they lay down, sleep, relax and wait till we are done with our breakfast in peace and then we go for our walk. TOTALLY different to the point my husband commented “what has happened to our dogs?”

4) Best of ALL…Bear had been on 18 units of insulin twice a day with high sugar levels despite this dose (in the 300’s). He has since been weaned down to 12 units twice a day with levels around 200!! Now that is the HUGE. The veterinary was so shocked when I told her that I had been weaning his dose that I brought in the Freestyle Libre monitor to show her his incredible numbers and progress he has made. This has been so dramatic and unbelievable.

Fresh Pet is incredible food and I am glad that we made the change. Fred and Brenda

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for sharing Bear and Kaya's amazing experience. We appreciate your loyalty to Freshpet, and wish you all the best! Stay well! Kind Regards, Angela

Original review: March 20, 2020

They are kindly sending my dog Tate and I some dog food coupons. Of course I told my dog Tate in an excited voice so he got very very excited. Plus he loves to eat and dog food is expensive these days so this is good for us both.

Freshpet response

Hello there Esmeralda and Tate! We certainly appreciate your kind words! We wish you all the best and stay well! Kind regards, Angela

Original review: March 19, 2020

Coupon savings. Every little bit helps when you only have one income. We keep Blue Buffalo dry food in their bowl when they ‘want a snack’ but their primary meals are FreshPet Tender Chicken. We purchase the 6 lb roll and I dice it up so it’s convenient to feed them. They know when they hear that ziplock bag....it’s time to eat. Thank you.

Freshpet response

We're so happy to hear that your dog is loving our Freshpet Tender Chicken Recipe, Rachel! And thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Wishing you and your pup all the best!

Original review: March 3, 2020

Our dogs love Freshpet food! Thank you so much for the coupons you will be sending, such a great company! We have to watch what we fed one of our dogs and she loves it so much! Great Quality food for a great price.

Freshpet response

Hi Heather! We are happy your dogs enjoys Freshpet. Thank you for the kind words. Have a nice day! Freshpet Care Team

Freshpet expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Freshpet makes all-natural pet food using real meat and vegetables. They don’t use preservatives in their food so you’ll find their product in the refrigerator section of the pet food aisle in your grocery store.

• Brands: Freshpet brands consist of Freshpet Select, Vital and Nature’s Fresh as their refrigerated fresh food. They also make Freshpet baked recipes made with 100 percent fresh chicken or turkey. Dognation and Dog Joy are their chewy dog treat brands and Vital Mix-ins is their whole-blend, vitamin enhanced food.

• Product selector: Freshpet’s product selector walks you through choosing the best food for your dog or cat through a series of questions. Questions include pet breed, weight, food preferences, feeding routine and where you shop for your pets food. The matching tool sets you up with the best Freshpet brand based on your answers and location.

• Food finder: Freshpet has a product finder on their website so you can find a specific brand at a store near you. Simply select the brand you want, enter your zip code and choose the mileage from your zip code you’re willing to travel. Their brands are also available online at Amazon, Jet and freshdirect.

• Comparison tool: Freshpet’s comparison tool lets you select the type of pet you have (dog or cat) and the type of food you’re currently feeding them. It pulls a list based on your selection and compare both brands’ ingredients.

• Price: While no price is listed on Freshpet’s website, their pet food is right at the same price range of other all natural pet food on sites like Walmart and Amazon.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Freshpet Company Information