3.83/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 20,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

245 Freshpet Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: May 12, 2019

Our pugs are 7 years old and have always been on dry kibble, sometimes with added pet-friendly pumpkin added. In February 2019, our female pug became severely ill. She vomited all day, couldn't keep water down, and was shaking. We had noticed over the previous months she had increased in size too. We took her to the vet and had to get her anti nausea medication and subcutaneous fluid treatment. We still didn't know what was wrong. I was starting to worry that she had bloat. For the next few days, she wouldn't eat or drink and would shake at times. Then we saw the FreshPet commercial with the pug in it. We decided then to give it a try. Our girl pug loved it and started eating again and regained her strength. Our boy pug loved it too. They've been on it since February 2019 and since then both pugs look slimmer and less bloated than they were when they were eating dry high quality kibble. They're more active now.

The pugs look like they've lost weight even though they haven't exercised more than usual and look very healthy now. They drink less water now too as before they would drink a lot which made me worry about their health - we think the dry kibble was making the pugs bloated and dehydrated. They love FreshPet so much. Although the cost of the food is more than what we were spending before on dry kibble, it's totally worth it and possibly saves us hundreds if not thousands in potential vet bills. It's worth the prevention. Thank you FreshPet for saving our pugs!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2019

We rescued a very finicky 8 month old Chihuahua on New Year's Eve. It's been quite a challenge to find something he will eat consistently. We've tried lots of different brands, all natural, grain free, etc etc etc, I even tried brands I never thought I'd buy. I recently watched an episode of The Prophet and Freshpet was featured. I was impressed with everything I saw! My preconceived thoughts were gone, replaced by a sense of hope that Freshpet may be something our picky guy Cruz would readily eat. I promptly purchased a few rolls and presented a measured portion, chopped up to our lil Prince. WHOA! He ate it ALL with enthusiasm, AND... licked every centimeter of his bowl spotless! Needless to say, we are thrilled and SOLD!

Thank you for everything you've done to bring a solid product to the masses! I have to be completely honest, I thought since it was in Walmart & other major retailers that it couldn't possibly be *all that good*. Shame on my narrow mind! I buy mine from Walmart & couldn't possibly be happier! Thanks again Freshpet! You've got a customer for life!

Fondly,

Stacey

PS: Cruz says a HUGE Thank you too!

Original review: April 26, 2019

My little girl, RubyRoo, is super fussy and the only food she has previously eaten straight away is home made meals. I have tried every brand of dog food available in supermarkets and online but she has never went straight to her bowl or been excited when I was serving them up. So, 3 days ago, I was shopping and decided to look in the Freshpet chiller. I'd previously presumed it was going to be too expensive so didn't bother (big mistake!).

I was pleasantly surprised to see how good value the range is! And the chiller was mostly empty which is a good endorsement too. So I took a chance and picked up a 2.7kg roll of grain free chicken. I got home and immediately prepped a perfectly measured portion for my girl (thanks to the handy portion measures on the packaging).

Ruby jumped up as soon as she smelled it, then ate the entire amount in one go. That's never happened before with any other dog food. I've paid 5X the amount that Freshpet costs and Ruby just hasn't been too fussed about those more expensive brands. Ruby has a sensitive tummy and skin too. Even though I didn't introduce Freshpet gradually, her tummy has settled and improved immediately. Her poops are solid again and she is much happier and energetic in general.

After she has finished her food, she comes and jumps in my knee and gives me big kisses and cuddles (her way of saying thank you, awww).

So, do I recommend Freshpet? You betcha. But more importantly, Ruby does! She's always had a lovely whiney coat but she's looking even lovelier, and happier too. All dog parents know when they're pupper is smiling, and my girl smiles a lot when she's just been fed now :). Meal times no longer a chore, me trying to make her food more appealing either. I just serve and she eats it up. If you are in any doubt about trying Freshpet, just go for it, it's great value so give it a shot. I'm pretty certain your four legged friend will love you a little more for it :).

Original review: April 25, 2019

We almost lost our senior rescue whippet Stella to bouts of pancreatitis and irritable bowel syndrome. She went through tests and iv's and overnighters at the vet and we spent several thousand dollars trying to keep her healthy. In desperation we were feeding her nothing but boiled chicken, pumpkin and rice. We knew she needed more nutritious meals but everything we bought either did not agree with her super sensitive digestive track or her picky taste buds. I had seen the refrigerated Freshpet displays but thought they were probably just some "designer" dog food.

On a whim I went to their webpage and entered Stella's health issues to see what they recommended. They suggested Freshpet's Select Tender Chicken with brown rice and veggies. I figured I would give it a try. She loved it and Freshpet loved her too. Stella will be 13 years old in June and she is back to chasing the bunnies in the yard and bouncing off the couch to show off when we have company. We have not had to make rice or give her pills at all since she started on Freshpet. We are positive that it is the Freshpet which has given us back our sweet silly puppy and we will be forever grateful for that.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My Weenie dog is 10 months old and very thin. I have been giving her a very expensive dry food mixed with a little moist food and she just doesn't eat much at all. I decided to try the food in the roll for puppies and she loved it. I give her a thick slice twice a day cut up in little chunks. I feed her one chunk at a time to make sure she chews it and not just suck it up in 30 seconds. To keep it fresh I use my FoodSaver after every time I cut a slice off and store it back and take the air out to keep it fresh. So far so good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Really outstanding food, and both my dogs love it and their stool is the way it is supposed to be....Thank you! We are all delighted with your product, especially the dogs! Looking forward to using your other products as well!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Our Annie is 11 years old and about six pounds. She can be very picky about her food. The only pet food she will reliably eat and enjoy is FreshPet. She has enjoyed all the varieties and I’m glad I don’t need to worry about her not eating. This pooch is seriously picky. She won’t even eat many table foods. Thanks for a great product.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I have a Dachshund who is very sensitive to foods and generally eats rotisserie chicken. To simplify I tried the Freshpet and she started getting itchy, I am now up at night and she is whimpering and losing her hair. At first I thought it was the beef and switched to the small dog style, no better. Went to one of their other styles and after serving her I smelled and tasted it and it is 100% hotdog with big chunks of something. She is so sick now. I am going back to the Costco chicken.

Freshpet response

Dear Chris, we are so sorry to hear about your dog. Sounds like she has some food allergies and we would like to help. Please call us at 866-789-3737 in order to narrow down what ingredient might be causing her issue. We also recommend speaking to your vet who knows your dog best. We can also have you speak to our vet team for additional assistance. Regards, Consumer Care Team

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

My dog loves your food. The chicken chunks. She is a Cavapoo. We buy the food in Petsmart. I mix it with Prenia pro plan. I would appreciate some help. It would be great if you could send me some coupons that I could use in Petsmart. It can get very expensive. Thank you very much.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Freshpet slice and serve tender chicken. My dog just slices this food. I've tried canned and it doesn't agree with her. Tried the roll and feeding her a lab every other day. She's very happy. My dog is a pitbull, Grate Dane. She's 6 yrs old. She knows when she is getting the good food.

Freshpet expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Freshpet makes all-natural pet food using real meat and vegetables. They don’t use preservatives in their food so you’ll find their product in the refrigerator section of the pet food aisle in your grocery store.

• Brands: Freshpet brands consist of Freshpet Select, Vital and Nature’s Fresh as their refrigerated fresh food. They also make Freshpet baked recipes made with 100 percent fresh chicken or turkey. Dognation and Dog Joy are their chewy dog treat brands and Vital Mix-ins is their whole-blend, vitamin enhanced food.

• Product selector: Freshpet’s product selector walks you through choosing the best food for your dog or cat through a series of questions. Questions include pet breed, weight, food preferences, feeding routine and where you shop for your pets food. The matching tool sets you up with the best Freshpet brand based on your answers and location.

• Food finder: Freshpet has a product finder on their website so you can find a specific brand at a store near you. Simply select the brand you want, enter your zip code and choose the mileage from your zip code you’re willing to travel. Their brands are also available online at Amazon, Jet and freshdirect.

• Comparison tool: Freshpet’s comparison tool lets you select the type of pet you have (dog or cat) and the type of food you’re currently feeding them. It pulls a list based on your selection and compare both brands’ ingredients.

• Price: While no price is listed on Freshpet’s website, their pet food is right at the same price range of other all natural pet food on sites like Walmart and Amazon.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Freshpet Company Information