It's that easy Request Information
3.32/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 15,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

132 Freshpet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 19, 2019

I have a senior Pomeranian that has congestive heart failure. Because of this he cannot get a dental so his teeth are king nasty. He had stopped eating his kibble. I tried your product and he gobbled it down right away. I have tried the roll products but he seems to enjoy the small pet little balls of chicken the best. My mom has a senior Lab that can't eat his kibble any longer and I told her about Freshpet and he is loving his new food too. I tell a lot of people about your product in hopes that their little guys will get to enjoy your product too.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I emailed Freshpet about coupons because my Senior Dog with dementia has become a fussy eater, and he loves this product! The Salmon and the Beef Fresh Pet are both appealing to him in his old age. Thank you Freshpet!

Original review: April 19, 2019

My ~6 year old Plott Hound rescue Lola has always been picky about food. She would eat dry kibble EVENTUALLY but it would sit in her bowl for most of the day, like she would only eat it if she was starving. I started looking into getting her on a wet food since I’ve always read that dry kibble is garbage anyway, so I decided to try Freshpet. As soon as I opened it and gave her a little piece of chicken she went absolutely nuts. Now she eats as soon as I put the food in her bowl. Next trip to the store I’m going to get her a different flavor so she won’t get bored. I’ve seen people complain that the bag the food comes in doesn’t keep it fresh, and I’ve had no issues with that so far, but I always make sure it’s fully zipped closed before I put it back in the fridge.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Reached out asking if trials or coupons were available to test products with picky eaters. Customer service was prompt in replying and has offered to send me some coupons in the mail so my fur babies can test out this brand. Thank you. :)

Original review: April 17, 2019

I requested information regarding sodium content of "Select" products, as my older dog has developed heart failure syndrome with vet recommending restricting diet heavy in salt. Your representative sent me the salt content for products I use, and the salt content is within limits set by vet. Thanks so much for sharing this info -- my dog loves your products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: April 17, 2019

Using Freshpet for 6 months. Very happy with it. I have small dog so not too expensive. NOT economical for med/lg dogs!! Hard to find sometimes. Mostly get it at PetSmart. Wish i could order online.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I gave them a 3 but up to this last purchase they have always been a 5. I’ve been feeding Freshpet (chicken in the big roll) to my 2 dogs for almost a year now. I have seen a big improvement in both of them. They are both over 10 years old and I quickly seen a big improvement in their energy level. But I was very disappointed in my last purchase. Instead of being able to slice their servings it just crumbled. Not sure what’s going on here. I hope they correct this issue. It’s a very good product but this texture just won’t work.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Best dog food ever. My fussy dogs now are not wasting their food. They just love the roll. I buy the largest roll. It’s more economic and cut it in weekly portions. Thank you Freshpet for making such wonderful dog food.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have a soft spot for cats with health issues and have adopted several. I have an asthmatic, an epileptic and one with severe IBD. When I started buying the Freshpet I noticed that it smelled after only a couple of days. Super sad because it was actually the one food that worked for all my medical issues. I decided to empty the next bag out into a plastic container and problem solved. We've moved on to the rolls and the cups now but my suggestion to anyone that prefers the kibble in the bag is to try using your own airtight container. It made a big difference.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Since the issues my dogs were experiencing from my previous review I decided to give Freshpet another try and happy to report I am on my 2nd purchase of Freshpet Select Tender Chicken Recipe with Garden Vegetables Freshpet Healthy & Natural Dog Food, Fresh Chicken Recipe (1.75 lb)...I bought the smaller bag first and my dogs loved it! I did by from Gelsons this time and will continue as I have had no issues with the 2 bags I bought. Happy to not have to prepare their food as it is so much easier to feed them Freshpet!

Original review: April 16, 2019

FreshPet makes a health difference. We have a 9 yr old Morkie. His name is Bailey. The past year we had a terrible time finding a dog food Bailey would eat. He had lost his energy and would not eat. He has been on Freshpet dog food for six months. He now acts like a young puppy full of energy. He now would eat three times a day if we put food down. And to beat it all he licks the bowl clean to make sure nothing is left. What a blessing FreshPet has been.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 13, 2019

We loved this brand at first. Smelled like roast chicken and or beef. My dog and my cat gobbled it down each time. Then they came out with a different bag of Chicken for cats. Not sure if the mix is different. But the front of the bag says Chicken and fish and eggs. The older bag just said Chicken and Vegetables on the front. At first my cat would not eat the chicken/fish/egg mix at all. Finally she got hungry enough she ate it and promptly threw up. So I figured something in the mix was not agreeing with her so went back to the Chicken/veggies (which is really hard to find now) and she was happy...for a while. The last 4 bags I have gotten of dog food (chicken) and cat food (chicken/veggies) neither my cat nor dog would eat it. Both smell vinegary or sour. 4 bags!!! All had a expire date 2 months ahead of when I opened it. No mold present (although I have found some in earlier bags).

What are you guys doing that is causing this? I notice there is vinegar in the mix. Did you accidentally dump too much in? I mean it actually gags me when I smelled it. All 4 bags bought at different stores. We love your food but I will not feed my animals anything that smells off. Plus they won't eat it either. You've gone from perfect to intolerable. If you can't fix this I will have to find another company.

Freshpet response

Hello Janine, Thank you for your continued support of Freshpet. So sorry to hear your pets have recently rejected the recipes. We have reached out via private message to get more information in order to address your concerns. Once again, your loyalty to Freshpet is valued.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have tried all kinds of dry dog food, and both of my dogs are picky, and didn't like any of them. Out of the dry brands, Blue Buffalo was eaten a little bit. Then, We tried Freshpet and our dogs love it. All of the different flavors.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 11, 2019

I’ve been feeding the chicken Freshpet to my dog for a year or so. As he loves beef, I decided to try the beef recipe. I bought a small bag with an expiration date far in the future, and put it in the fridge. When I got it out the next morning to feed to my dog, the package was so bloated with air that it looked like it would burst. I opened it, and it smelled sour. Threw it out immediately. A few weeks later, I decided to give it another try. Same thing happened again and I had to throw it out. Haven’t had this trouble with the chicken, so doubt it is the packaging. Regardless, I won’t ever purchase the beef flavor again.

Freshpet response

Thank you for your loyalty toward Freshpet and for taking the time to leave a review. We are happy to hear your dog is enjoying our chicken recipe. So sorry to hear you have had an unpleasant experience with our beef flavor. We have reached out to you via private message to get more information and get this resolved. Thanks again.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My Yorkie has a very sensitive stomach and is quite fussy. I tried many other high quality brands and picked Freshpet because she gobbles it up. I also have two senior cats and I have noticed their fur is fuller and their eyes sparkle since I switched them to Freshpet. I have recommend it to friends and to people who have seen me taking the food out of the refrigerator.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have an 18.5 year old dog who, for years, struggled with a sensitive stomach. He often vomited his dinner at least once a week. I started using Freshpet when he stopped eating his prescription dog food. He immediately loved the beef loaf. I'm happy to report he's been eating this food for 1 year and has had no adverse reactions and still loves this food.

Original review: April 7, 2019

My Jack Russell Terrier (mix) loves this food. I was curious about the amount of salt in the product. We buy him the bagged chicken and salmon. I noticed that he's getting a little fat. I feed him the proper serving size. He is 11 years old. He does gobble the food and seems to love it. Not sure why he's plumping up so much.

Original review: April 7, 2019

We feed our three dogs Freshpet and they have never been any healthier or happier than they are now! And, since they have been on this, my Vet hasn't seen us, for any health issues. It is an awesome dog food and it's so good to know and feed them FRESH.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Use the Freshpet Vitals for a food topper on kibble for 2 greyhounds. They clean the bowl every time! Having 2 picky eaters this food is a meal time go to, AM & PM. I mean c'mon dry kibble can be boring everyday so I'm happy to purchase this to help them enjoy their meals! The Freshpet in the loaf they can't eat, stomach upset but the Vital in the large pouch bag is a hit!! Have always topped all my grey's food with this... They love it! :) :) :) Will recommend for my daughter's pittie as well..who is a picky eater.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Keep doing what you're doing!! Our dogs LOVE your products and I'm so glad we can rely on a USA based company we not only love but trust when it comes to quality ingredients. I spend more on Freshpet than I'd like to admit. :) It's a daily indulgence that my dogs LOVE. Thank you!

Original review: April 6, 2019

Best food to be found in Canada to feed dogs or cats!! Sometimes difficult to find as it sells out so fast! The price is a lot more than in US and even though it is certainly worth every penny, I think more people would purchase if the price was lower.

Original review: April 6, 2019

My cat Sticky suffered from horrible digestive issues for years, and they were getting worse. By the end, she had diarrhea almost every day. It would get matted on her long fur, and we were struggling to groom her so that she could be comfortable. Some days she wouldn't eat at all, and she was losing weight. We tried so many different types of food, and the digestive issues persisted. We were worried we'd have to put her down. Then we tried Freshpet Vital Cat Food - Grain Free, Chicken & Beef. Within a week, Sticky was better. She was more energetic and happier. I'm sure she was having abdominal pain before the change -- she just couldn't tell us. There's no knowing how much or how long she was suffering. Now, its like she's years younger. And bonus -- she LOVES eating it. Thank you Freshpet. This food saved our cat's life.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I started giving my one cat Freshpet about 3 years ago. He loves it. Now I have 3 more cats. They all eat Freshpet. The little cups is the one they love. Pumpkin the best. It is a healthy food for them, all natural ingredients. No ash. Their coats are shiny. They are healthy. It’s all good. I recommend it all the time. Whenever I am asked I let everyone know I use Freshpet.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Daunted by the process of making my pug his homemade meals, I was ecstatic when I found Freshpet. My boy dances in circles at every meal, every day. Pug tummies are so sensitive. Freshpet keeps his tummy healthy and happy. The company has been the very best to us. No other pet food company has the integrity, the generosity, and the genuine care and love for animals, that Freshpet has. Glad to part of the Freshpet Pack.

Original review: April 5, 2019

My shar-pei Juliets eats Freshpet since 2 years. She was a very picky eater, but since Freshpet she enjoys her meals. She had skin issues, itching, but since Freshpet she's at least 80% better. Her fur looks beautiful and is very soft. I will never feed anything else, Freshpet is the best. I told the veterinarian, and he likes, that I feed Freshpet. I highly recommend this food.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have a MinPin mixed with wire terrier she is now two years old. Ms Clowy is a very picky eater. I went thru 15 types of food before starting to make my own dog food. I found FreshPet and decided to try it. To my surprise Ms Clowy Loves your food. I now only feed Clowy FreshPet home cooked chicken recipe. She also loves your turkey bacon treats. Thank you so much for making mine and Clowy’s life easier.

Original review: April 4, 2019

My two rescue chihuahuas will only eat your food that comes in a roll chicken with carrots. Marrissa is going to 18. Molly 17. Both were neglected when I rescued them. Both had bad teeth. Marrissa had to most of her teeth pulled but that doesn’t stop her from eating. Molly has a few but she eats good too. Both love your food. Thank you really. Would appreciate some coupons??? ❤️❤️

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 4, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 15 year old dog Freshpet for the past approximately four months. He loved it, couldn’t get enough. And I loved how easy it was. Didn’t love the price. That said, over the last week or so, it’s made him sick. At first I thought perhaps I just got a bad batch that hadn’t been properly refrigerated at the store or something. Threw out nearly a whole large roll. Bought a new one. Same thing. So disappointed.

Freshpet response

Hello Roya, so sorry to hear about your experience. Hope your dog is feeling better. Give us a call to provide some additional information on the incident. Without knowing the product or details it is difficult to understand why your dog became ill. We are happy to assist.

Original review: April 3, 2019

It is the only food she'll eat. Has all of the good stuff in it. One tube lasts 1 wk. She gets a daily feeding which also includes Evolution salmon kibble. This way she has both chunky and meaty, which she needs to protect her teeth.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I like this food and most of the time my Pug does eat it. However, the color and smell are different between batches. When the roll is colored more red my dog won’t eat it and the Pet store is not appreciative of me returning this expensive food. Very hard to find as well.

Freshpet expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Freshpet makes all-natural pet food using real meat and vegetables. They don’t use preservatives in their food so you’ll find their product in the refrigerator section of the pet food aisle in your grocery store.

• Brands: Freshpet brands consist of Freshpet Select, Vital and Nature’s Fresh as their refrigerated fresh food. They also make Freshpet baked recipes made with 100 percent fresh chicken or turkey. Dognation and Dog Joy are their chewy dog treat brands and Vital Mix-ins is their whole-blend, vitamin enhanced food.

• Product selector: Freshpet’s product selector walks you through choosing the best food for your dog or cat through a series of questions. Questions include pet breed, weight, food preferences, feeding routine and where you shop for your pets food. The matching tool sets you up with the best Freshpet brand based on your answers and location.

• Food finder: Freshpet has a product finder on their website so you can find a specific brand at a store near you. Simply select the brand you want, enter your zip code and choose the mileage from your zip code you’re willing to travel. Their brands are also available online at Amazon, Jet and freshdirect.

• Comparison tool: Freshpet’s comparison tool lets you select the type of pet you have (dog or cat) and the type of food you’re currently feeding them. It pulls a list based on your selection and compare both brands’ ingredients.

• Price: While no price is listed on Freshpet’s website, their pet food is right at the same price range of other all natural pet food on sites like Walmart and Amazon.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Freshpet Company Information