4.75/5
  • 1 star
Based on 24 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 15,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 18, 2017

24 Freshpet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

This is the only food my girls can eat. Everything else gives them upset tummies. My boys can have a little kibble, but I've noticed that the Pomeranian, has NO tear stains when eating only this. Also, the Aussie no longer needs allergy meds.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

My sheltie loves this food and is thriving on it... His teeth are much cleaner, not covered with sticky gravy and the protein content is perfect! I was concerned about letters that suggested that the garlic content might be toxic to dogs and I was aware of garlic toxicity. But the American Kennel association writes: “Studies have found it takes approximately 15 to 30 grams of garlic per kilograms of body weight to produce harmful changes in a dog’s blood. To put that into perspective, the average clove of supermarket garlic weighs between 3 and 7 grams, so your dog would have to eat a lot of garlic to get really sick”... Indeed, that means your dog would have to eat a clove of garlic for every 2+ pounds of weight!

A smidgen of garlic in their food is not going to be toxic. A 30-pound dog would have to eat the equivalent of 15 cloves of garlic...So why not put that in the ingredients list? Because it might be unnecessarily alarming? Because people should research and think... Dogs eat a lot of truly alarming and disgusting things... and they seem to survive... except for eating rocks, socks, and plastic parts... The amount of garlic in a cup of Freshpet is ok for the typical pooch who does not have a pathological allergy to allium. Thank you Freshpet for a truly wonderful and nourishing product!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I've purchased this large bag of Freshpet bacon strips from BJ's Wholesale warehouse. I didn't realize at the time that the bag had a slit in it. I was giving my dog these treats and days later the bacon turned a yellow color... I threw the bag in the garbage. I never had this experience with this product before, as my dog loves them. I still will purchase the product as it was the first time it happen. Thanks for your time!!!

Freshpet response

Hi Linda -- sorry to hear about the damaged package. We ship our food in sturdy containers, but sometimes during opening/handling they can get torn and let air in, which spoils the fresh food.

We appreciate your understanding, and we'd love to make it up to you. We'll reach out privately, so please keep an eye on your email this morning :)

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have been feeding Freshpet to my girls for a year or so. I would love to have a new recipe like pork or shredded beef. My girls love them all!!! I found another brand that has the fresh pork with veggies and fruit also but I love the price and being able to find Freshpet in my area. I also would like to see coupons more often.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017
My two dogs love this food! They know when it comes out of the refrigerator and one demands (barks) his food asap until I get it ready. It's also good for them.

I wish I could feed it exclusively but being on fixed income I can't. If coupons were more readily available, I would take advantage of them so my two furkids could have their favorite food more often.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I've always given my 2 dogs Freshpet products & have been very happy with it. I volunteer at a wildlife rehab center, rehabbing raccoons- 2 years ago, I started giving my babies mashed Freshpet with formula to begin the weaning process-they loved it. Freshpet products are high-quality & nutritious, so I thought they would be an ideal first food for them & I was right. I continued to give them Freshpet & all of my raccoons grew to be happy, healthy adults with beautiful, shiny coats.

I feel my responsibility as a rehabber is to give my animals the very best start in life that I possibly can in preparation for their release-Freshpet made it very easy. As it can get a little expensive & it all comes out of my pocket-I reached out to Freshpet about coupons or discounts, explaining to them what I was using their products for & they responded very generously. I have told other rehabbers about my experience using Freshpet & many have started using it for the animals in their care. I've always loved the quality & ease of feeding my dogs Freshpet & now I have another reason to continue using it.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Wonderful product for our Gordon Setters. They love it mixed with kibble. Like that product is NEVER to be frozen. Easily checked as product becomes watery if frozen, then thawed. Happened once with us. Ingredients cover all necessary foods for our dogs. Very nutritious.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

This food has an extremely strong garlic scent, yet garlic is not in the ingredient list, so I called the company who confirmed that it does indeed contain garlic. When I asked why it's not listed on the package, I was told that it's under the guise of "Natural Flavors". I mentioned that garlic is toxic to dogs, and the first woman I spoke to said "Not garlic POWDER". I said yes, garlic in any form can be toxic, so she had her supervisor call me who said that it's such a small amount that it wouldn't be harmful. I want to reiterate that this food REALLY reeks of garlic. That's how I knew it was in there in the first place! It's obviously NOT the minute amount they were suggesting.

Hiding a questionable ingredient under "Natural Flavors" is sneaky and deceptive. One of their foods contains celery powder which is clearly stated on the package. Why isn't THAT hidden under "Natural Flavors" as well? Why isn't garlic listed right along with the celery powder? I'm guessing that this company knows that a lot of people are aware that garlic is not a safe/healthy ingredient and won't buy the food if they know it's in there. I won't give that stuff to my dog, and other people should know too exactly what's in this food, just to give them the choice if they want to feed it to their dog(s) or not.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My husband and I recently adopted a 5-year-old rescue from a local humane society. This poor little thing had been neglected so badly by previous owners that he wasn't even able to chew dry dog food due to dental issues. Freshpet is the reason he eats AND gets good, healthy food. Now that he's with us his dental issues are being addressed but regardless, he will be a Freshpet pup for life!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I have a 4 year old Yorkie that I have struggled trying to find a healthy food that she will eat. I finally decided to try the Freshpet products because she seemed to like raw foods the best! Best decision I ever made! Freshpet is healthy & my Sophie loves their products! They also stand by their products so if there is ever anything that she will not eat, Freshpet will replace it with a different product or give you your money back. I have never needed my money back but know that I could if the need ever arose! Thank you Freshpet!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I spent countless hours in grocery stores as well as pet food stores searching for a brand of food I could trust to feed my dog. I almost lost a dog due to contaminated food so trust is not easily earned by me. I absolutely love Freshpet and so does my dog. She is a rescue and she had some health issues when we first brought her home, but now she is healthy, her coat is soft, and she has plenty of energy. Thank you Freshpet for making food I can feel good about feeding my dog Shay.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Freshpet has been the best food for my 14 year old Boston terrier mix. He has a heart condition and I don't have to worry about ingredients or there being too much sodium. I know I am feeding him the best thing short of making it myself. He will dance and bark when it's feeding time because he LOVES it so much!! Thank you Freshpet!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Tried canned dog food then dry food, my two pugs would only eat them when they were extra hungry. Then I heard about Freshpet, tried it and they loved it. The only food they will eat. I highly recommend it for your pet. Made with fresh foods and so good for the pets.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Love the product, I have 2 dogs so it does get expensive. Would appreciate some coupons to help offset the cost. My dogs love it and I was wondering if you are ever going to come out with other flavors such as turkey or a mixture of chicken and beef?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

My 3 rescued doggies are very picky. I was concerned because they were not eating properly. I tried to cook for them because the other brand's dog food often times they got sick & the odors were unpleasant. I saw Freshpet advertisement on Facebook, saw their reviews then I contacted them. I purchased Freshpet that same weekend and thank God my doggies love it. It smells great, clean, fresh & healthy. I'm so happy with their products, most of all my babies are eating. My problem is solved. As a pet parent I thank Freshpet for taking the time to provide delicious meals and treats for our furry kids. I would urge all pet parents to buy Freshpet. It's healthy & your pets will appreciate it. I always say if you're concerned about feeding yourself healthy food then do the same for your fur babies. That's why I'm recommending Freshpet. Thank you so much Freshpet & please keep up the good work. God bless you all.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Since I changed my dog to Freshpet a few years ago, he has lost weight because the ingredients are fresh and healthy meats and vegetables. I believe this food is good for my dog and he loves Freshpet.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I bought Freshpet on the recommendation of a friend who had a great experience with her pet. Our dog has itchy skin and hives, and her scratching would keep her - and us - awake at night. After a single week feeding her grain-free Freshpet, the hives were gone and the itching significantly better. We continue to give it to her and her skin is completely clear. Our family is thrilled with our Freshpet experience.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

These are fresh, refrigerated dog foods. Love the "crumbled" chicken w/ vegetables and cranberries - and the "rolls" - both the beef and the chicken & turkey. I feed twice a day, the crumble in the a.m. - and one or the other of the rolls, which I slice and then cube. My dog (Chinese Crested) eats ONLY these food choices, and I know that the food is fresh and of good quality. I am able to maintain Sophie's weight at 12 pounds - all of the time, with this fine food. Her energy level never wanes, and I don't have to "second guess" how long the food has been laying around. It is slightly more expensive than the "average" dog food, but I feel it's worth the price just for peace of mind - knowing my dog is getting a nutritious, high quality food that she likes. I've tried at least twenty or thirty different brands with my dogs over the years, and this is - by far - my number one choice!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I have 5 dogs and all are very different eaters... one is VERY picky! I bought Freshpet one day figuring I had nothing to lose and I am so happy that I did!!! They ALL love it (even my foster dogs do)! They see me take it out of the fridge or even when I'm taking out of grocery bag and they get so excited and follow me around until I will open and give them a piece! So, I now cut up small pieces and sometimes give as snacks for them! Great food for my dogs and I'm so happy I took a chance and bought it!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

My dog is a rescue over 12 years old and was suffering from organ failure. He was limping in pain and would swell up frequently. I tried many other dog foods hoping to find something he'd eat. When I finally decided on Freshpet I was concerned as it's much more expensive but I found him healthier seemingly each day (small things you notice but wonder about). After a month I noticed his fur was triple density and lush not dry but shiny. He's no longer having all over body swelling. He is more limber and walking better. It’s been a few months now of feeding him nothing else and he's the dog he was 7 years ago. Walking better, happier, moving well, and able to climb up and down from beds again.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I've seen the Freshpet ads about how good it is for your dog. As usual I have an, "yeah, right!" attitude. But this is amazing. I've been buying it at Walmart for about a year as an evening treat for our dogs. Virgil has a genetic condition (he's a chocolate dobie rescue from Mexico) that caused him to lose some of his coat. His fur wasn't soft and he was bald on his hind end. He also had scab-like crusty patches at the bottom of both ears. He was checked for a thyroid problem, but it was negative. It's taken a year, but his coat is much softer. Most of his fur has grown back . But yesterday, I noticed that the scabs are completely gone. His vet said they were permanent. Nothing else has changed in his diet. So I think Freshpet's claims are true. I can't wait to show his doctor the difference. I highly recommend this dog food.

Something interesting about Virgil is that he was was being raised as a bait dog, but he was too sweet to fight. So they kicked him out on the streets as a puppy and he had to survive on his own. He still has nightmares from it. We gently wake him and reassure him. He had horrible stomach issues too from all the parasites, etc. We're so happy that he can handle the Freshpet. He's just the sweetest boy.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Freshpet pet food saves lives. At the very least the food extends your pet's lifespan and adds to their quality of life. I realize I'm making some very bold statements but I do not say this lightly. I have spoken to many people in person while buying this food, and they all say the same thing. In one way or another their pets' quality of life has improved through the use of Freshpet pet food. For me my dog stop having seizures. Others have said the exact same thing. Through personal discussion and research online I have found many testimonials from people saying similar things. Their pets had a bad coats, skin issues or sores before, after Freshpet their coats and sores have improved or gone away. Also the pets had no energy but now they have lots of energy, it's like they're young again.

These are all the things I hear when people talk about their pet and Freshpet pet food. Also my dog was extremely picky & didn't like ANY dog food at all. I used to boil him chicken and make all kinds of people food for him. When he tasted Freshpet he loved it & can't get enough of it never, and never gets sick of it. The best part is his stools are always solid. I could go on and on and have never felt so strongly about a product in my life seeing is believing and the results are truly life-changing.

Original review: July 21, 2017

My beloved dog passed away the first week of November 2013, and I received a rescue dog 3 weeks later. I take rescue dogs and find good homes for them, but occasionally one will tug at my heart enough for me to keep. Gurley came to me weighing only 2 lbs., very undernourished, highly anxious, thinning, dull hair, not spayed. I was told she lived with an elderly invalid and was let to run loose, fed only once in awhile and then only fast food burgers and fries. I took her to the vet immediately, who said she was severely undernourished. He told me to give her a prescription dog food, but she did not like it and she was not flourishing because she wouldn't eat it.

A friend mentioned a dog food you get in the refrigerated dog food section of the grocery store or Petco. I figured I would try it as the prescription dog food was not working out for us. I bought the chub of Freshpet Select Grain Free Dog Food, and the first morning I gave it to Gurley, she ate the whole bowl right up! And she has been doing so for the last three and a half years. She now weighs five and a half pounds, is spayed, she has a beautiful coat, is happy and outgoing, lots of personality! I am thankful I took a chance and tried her on Freshpet Select Grain Free Dog Food, and highly recommend it to any pet owner who cares about their pet's health.

Freshpet expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Freshpet makes all-natural pet food using real meat and vegetables. They don’t use preservatives in their food so you’ll find their product in the refrigerator section of the pet food aisle in your grocery store.

• Brands: Freshpet brands consist of Freshpet Select, Vital and Nature’s Fresh as their refrigerated fresh food. They also make Freshpet baked recipes made with 100 percent fresh chicken or turkey. Dognation and Dog Joy are their chewy dog treat brands and Vital Mix-ins is their whole-blend, vitamin enhanced food.

• Product selector: Freshpet’s product selector walks you through choosing the best food for your dog or cat through a series of questions. Questions include pet breed, weight, food preferences, feeding routine and where you shop for your pets food. The matching tool sets you up with the best Freshpet brand based on your answers and location.

• Food finder: Freshpet has a product finder on their website so you can find a specific brand at a store near you. Simply select the brand you want, enter your zip code and choose the mileage from your zip code you’re willing to travel. Their brands are also available online at Amazon, Jet and freshdirect.

• Comparison tool: Freshpet’s comparison tool lets you select the type of pet you have (dog or cat) and the type of food you’re currently feeding them. It pulls a list based on your selection and compare both brands’ ingredients.

• Price: While no price is listed on Freshpet’s website, their pet food is right at the same price range of other all natural pet food on sites like Walmart and Amazon.

• Best for: pet owners who want to feed their pet natural pet food.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Freshpet Company Information