3.86/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 20,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

Freshpet Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: May 12, 2019

Our pugs are 7 years old and have always been on dry kibble, sometimes with added pet-friendly pumpkin added. In February 2019, our female pug became severely ill. She vomited all day, couldn't keep water down, and was shaking. We had noticed over the previous months she had increased in size too. We took her to the vet and had to get her anti nausea medication and subcutaneous fluid treatment. We still didn't know what was wrong. I was starting to worry that she had bloat. For the next few days, she wouldn't eat or drink and would shake at times. Then we saw the FreshPet commercial with the pug in it. We decided then to give it a try. Our girl pug loved it and started eating again and regained her strength. Our boy pug loved it too. They've been on it since February 2019 and since then both pugs look slimmer and less bloated than they were when they were eating dry high quality kibble. They're more active now.

The pugs look like they've lost weight even though they haven't exercised more than usual and look very healthy now. They drink less water now too as before they would drink a lot which made me worry about their health - we think the dry kibble was making the pugs bloated and dehydrated. They love FreshPet so much. Although the cost of the food is more than what we were spending before on dry kibble, it's totally worth it and possibly saves us hundreds if not thousands in potential vet bills. It's worth the prevention. Thank you FreshPet for saving our pugs!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2019

We rescued a very finicky 8 month old Chihuahua on New Year's Eve. It's been quite a challenge to find something he will eat consistently. We've tried lots of different brands, all natural, grain free, etc etc etc, I even tried brands I never thought I'd buy. I recently watched an episode of The Prophet and Freshpet was featured. I was impressed with everything I saw! My preconceived thoughts were gone, replaced by a sense of hope that Freshpet may be something our picky guy Cruz would readily eat. I promptly purchased a few rolls and presented a measured portion, chopped up to our lil Prince. WHOA! He ate it ALL with enthusiasm, AND... licked every centimeter of his bowl spotless! Needless to say, we are thrilled and SOLD!

Thank you for everything you've done to bring a solid product to the masses! I have to be completely honest, I thought since it was in Walmart & other major retailers that it couldn't possibly be *all that good*. Shame on my narrow mind! I buy mine from Walmart & couldn't possibly be happier! Thanks again Freshpet! You've got a customer for life!

Fondly,

Stacey

PS: Cruz says a HUGE Thank you too!

Original review: April 26, 2019

My little girl, RubyRoo, is super fussy and the only food she has previously eaten straight away is home made meals. I have tried every brand of dog food available in supermarkets and online but she has never went straight to her bowl or been excited when I was serving them up. So, 3 days ago, I was shopping and decided to look in the Freshpet chiller. I'd previously presumed it was going to be too expensive so didn't bother (big mistake!).

I was pleasantly surprised to see how good value the range is! And the chiller was mostly empty which is a good endorsement too. So I took a chance and picked up a 2.7kg roll of grain free chicken. I got home and immediately prepped a perfectly measured portion for my girl (thanks to the handy portion measures on the packaging).

Ruby jumped up as soon as she smelled it, then ate the entire amount in one go. That's never happened before with any other dog food. I've paid 5X the amount that Freshpet costs and Ruby just hasn't been too fussed about those more expensive brands. Ruby has a sensitive tummy and skin too. Even though I didn't introduce Freshpet gradually, her tummy has settled and improved immediately. Her poops are solid again and she is much happier and energetic in general.

After she has finished her food, she comes and jumps in my knee and gives me big kisses and cuddles (her way of saying thank you, awww).

So, do I recommend Freshpet? You betcha. But more importantly, Ruby does! She's always had a lovely whiney coat but she's looking even lovelier, and happier too. All dog parents know when they're pupper is smiling, and my girl smiles a lot when she's just been fed now :). Meal times no longer a chore, me trying to make her food more appealing either. I just serve and she eats it up. If you are in any doubt about trying Freshpet, just go for it, it's great value so give it a shot. I'm pretty certain your four legged friend will love you a little more for it :).

Original review: April 25, 2019

We almost lost our senior rescue whippet Stella to bouts of pancreatitis and irritable bowel syndrome. She went through tests and iv's and overnighters at the vet and we spent several thousand dollars trying to keep her healthy. In desperation we were feeding her nothing but boiled chicken, pumpkin and rice. We knew she needed more nutritious meals but everything we bought either did not agree with her super sensitive digestive track or her picky taste buds. I had seen the refrigerated Freshpet displays but thought they were probably just some "designer" dog food.

On a whim I went to their webpage and entered Stella's health issues to see what they recommended. They suggested Freshpet's Select Tender Chicken with brown rice and veggies. I figured I would give it a try. She loved it and Freshpet loved her too. Stella will be 13 years old in June and she is back to chasing the bunnies in the yard and bouncing off the couch to show off when we have company. We have not had to make rice or give her pills at all since she started on Freshpet. We are positive that it is the Freshpet which has given us back our sweet silly puppy and we will be forever grateful for that.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My Weenie dog is 10 months old and very thin. I have been giving her a very expensive dry food mixed with a little moist food and she just doesn't eat much at all. I decided to try the food in the roll for puppies and she loved it. I give her a thick slice twice a day cut up in little chunks. I feed her one chunk at a time to make sure she chews it and not just suck it up in 30 seconds. To keep it fresh I use my FoodSaver after every time I cut a slice off and store it back and take the air out to keep it fresh. So far so good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Customer service was very responsive and kind. They resolved my question and request in the same day. My dog uses this dog food exclusively and has since he has been a pup, it was vet recommended. Thank you Freshpet for having a great product and a wonderful customer service!

Appreciate the love!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I first purchased Freshpet about three months ago, while looking for a fresh healthier alternative to dry dog food. After doing my research, I found Freshpet at the local supermarket. I was thrilled to see that my dog loved It. She looked forward to every plate of it and could not get enough. I had found a healthy convenient dog food that she loved. I told all my friends about it so that they would purchase it and we would not lose it at the local grocery store.

About three weeks ago, she began vomiting in the middle of the night. She did so almost every night. It was mostly bile and although She has been housebroken since she was a puppy and all of a sudden she began pooing inside the house at odd times, including in the middle of the night. Her stool had a mucus-like texture. I did not relate the symptoms to Freshpet until I went to the vet and she had me go back to her previous food. I was incredulous and almost hoping that she was wrong. But $350 later and having eliminated Freshpet from our household, all Symptoms are gone. We have had no incidents after changing the food Somehow, upon doing my initial research. I missed all the reviews on this page and I so regret ever trying Freshpet. It is URGENT that the company look into what is making all these pets so sick!!!!

Freshpet response

Hello Michelle, We appreciate you reaching out. Please call our Consumer Care Team at 866-789-3737 between 9 am and 4:00 pm EST in order to obtain additional information regarding your experience.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

This is the only food that I can hide my dog's pills in that she will accept. My problem is that I'm home bound and unable to get to Petco or Petsmart in my city. None of the grocery stores that deliver have it. Please FreshPet, make these available in stores that deliver in the 54401 zip code.

Freshpet response

Hi Molly! Sorry you are having difficulty purchasing Vital in your area. Vital products are not sold at grocery chains and can only be purchased at pet specialty stores such as Petco and Petsmart. You can try jet.com or amazonfresh if the service is available in your area.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Freshpet foods are amazing!! My dogs love the food!! Will continue to buy these products for them!!! Amazing product!!! Keep up the great work with make our pets happy and health. The products are 100% Non GMO and all natural.

Freshpet response

We are so happy you enjoy Freshpet!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I am writing to thank you all for a great dog food! I adopted a rescued beagle from a laboratory a few weeks back, she was under weight and would not eat any dog food we tried, until we brought home Freshpet Vital chicken recipe, she loves it and already is stronger and healthier! She is a new happier dog! Thanks again.

Freshpet response

We're so happy to hear that your sweet pup is thriving on our food, Don! Wishing you and your four-pawed crew all the best.

Freshpet expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Freshpet makes all-natural pet food using real meat and vegetables. They don’t use preservatives in their food so you’ll find their product in the refrigerator section of the pet food aisle in your grocery store.

• Brands: Freshpet brands consist of Freshpet Select, Vital and Nature’s Fresh as their refrigerated fresh food. They also make Freshpet baked recipes made with 100 percent fresh chicken or turkey. Dognation and Dog Joy are their chewy dog treat brands and Vital Mix-ins is their whole-blend, vitamin enhanced food.

• Product selector: Freshpet’s product selector walks you through choosing the best food for your dog or cat through a series of questions. Questions include pet breed, weight, food preferences, feeding routine and where you shop for your pets food. The matching tool sets you up with the best Freshpet brand based on your answers and location.

• Food finder: Freshpet has a product finder on their website so you can find a specific brand at a store near you. Simply select the brand you want, enter your zip code and choose the mileage from your zip code you’re willing to travel. Their brands are also available online at Amazon, Jet and freshdirect.

• Comparison tool: Freshpet’s comparison tool lets you select the type of pet you have (dog or cat) and the type of food you’re currently feeding them. It pulls a list based on your selection and compare both brands’ ingredients.

• Price: While no price is listed on Freshpet’s website, their pet food is right at the same price range of other all natural pet food on sites like Walmart and Amazon.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Freshpet Company Information