2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 20,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

Freshpet Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

At age 65, having had dogs all my life, I decided to adopt a kitten from a "clear the shelters" weekend. I adopted Rocky, a small snowshoe kitten. He's fun, cute and full of energy. I quickly fell in love and now have a new fur baby. The only frustration I had was getting Rocky to eat moisture rich canned food. I have no idea how many brands and varieties of cat food I tried, but was getting discouraged by the amount of cat food I was throwing away because Rocky refused to eat it.

One day in the supermarket, I saw Freshpet and decided to try it. I bought a 1 lb. bag of Freshpet Select Tender Chicken recipe. At first, Rocky hesitated, but after a few bites, he cleaned the bowl. And did so the next day and the day after that. I wasted so much time and money trying to get Rocky to eat canned food he didn't want and wouldn't eat. And let's be honest, with the way canned cat food smells, I can't blame him for not eating it. I've kept Rocky on Freshpet and he loves it. Sometimes he'll get in my face to get my attention that he is hungry, then runs to the fridge until I get his delicious Freshpet out to feed him. Rocky and I love Freshpet. Thanks for making such a great product and making Rocky (and his dad) much happier.

Hey Gary! Thanks for sharing the love! Happy New Year to you and Rocky! Angela

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I brought a beautiful 5 month old Labradoodle into our family about 11 months ago. For the first 7 months we went through a bunch of different dog foods from very expensive to completely inexpensive to try to help with his digestion as he was always have loose sometimes runny poops that smelled horribly bad. One day I was looking in the grocery aisle for something new to try yet again and decided to take a chance on Freshpet. I mean nothing else up until now was working and I was starting to get extremely concern that my sweet Bentley was not getting proper nutrition, and such unhealthy loose and runny stools. I grabbed a small roll of the beef. He loved it and from that very first poop after his first serving of Freshpet, he had a normal firm poop.

I could not have been happier as when switching foods can always cause digestion issues until their systems get used to the change. Since that very first time he has never had a problem with loose or runny stools! He is happy and more lively and his coat is shining! I am soooo glad I decided to try this dog food that day. He has been eating this food for a few months now. We have tried a few different flavors and he loves them all and has had no issues with any of it. Thank you so much for creating this food. It truest has turned around the health of my sweet boy!

Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story with us. Sweet Bentley is absolutely beautiful. We are so happy you are part of our Freshpet family.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Our pugs are 7 years old and have always been on dry kibble, sometimes with added pet-friendly pumpkin added. In February 2019, our female pug became severely ill. She vomited all day, couldn't keep water down, and was shaking. We had noticed over the previous months she had increased in size too. We took her to the vet and had to get her anti nausea medication and subcutaneous fluid treatment. We still didn't know what was wrong. I was starting to worry that she had bloat. For the next few days, she wouldn't eat or drink and would shake at times. Then we saw the FreshPet commercial with the pug in it. We decided then to give it a try. Our girl pug loved it and started eating again and regained her strength. Our boy pug loved it too. They've been on it since February 2019 and since then both pugs look slimmer and less bloated than they were when they were eating dry high quality kibble. They're more active now.

The pugs look like they've lost weight even though they haven't exercised more than usual and look very healthy now. They drink less water now too as before they would drink a lot which made me worry about their health - we think the dry kibble was making the pugs bloated and dehydrated. They love FreshPet so much. Although the cost of the food is more than what we were spending before on dry kibble, it's totally worth it and possibly saves us hundreds if not thousands in potential vet bills. It's worth the prevention. Thank you FreshPet for saving our pugs!

Original review: April 26, 2019

My little girl, RubyRoo, is super fussy and the only food she has previously eaten straight away is home made meals. I have tried every brand of dog food available in supermarkets and online but she has never went straight to her bowl or been excited when I was serving them up. So, 3 days ago, I was shopping and decided to look in the Freshpet chiller. I'd previously presumed it was going to be too expensive so didn't bother (big mistake!).

I was pleasantly surprised to see how good value the range is! And the chiller was mostly empty which is a good endorsement too. So I took a chance and picked up a 2.7kg roll of grain free chicken. I got home and immediately prepped a perfectly measured portion for my girl (thanks to the handy portion measures on the packaging).

Ruby jumped up as soon as she smelled it, then ate the entire amount in one go. That's never happened before with any other dog food. I've paid 5X the amount that Freshpet costs and Ruby just hasn't been too fussed about those more expensive brands. Ruby has a sensitive tummy and skin too. Even though I didn't introduce Freshpet gradually, her tummy has settled and improved immediately. Her poops are solid again and she is much happier and energetic in general.

After she has finished her food, she comes and jumps in my knee and gives me big kisses and cuddles (her way of saying thank you, awww).

So, do I recommend Freshpet? You betcha. But more importantly, Ruby does! She's always had a lovely whiney coat but she's looking even lovelier, and happier too. All dog parents know when they're pupper is smiling, and my girl smiles a lot when she's just been fed now :). Meal times no longer a chore, me trying to make her food more appealing either. I just serve and she eats it up. If you are in any doubt about trying Freshpet, just go for it, it's great value so give it a shot. I'm pretty certain your four legged friend will love you a little more for it :).

Original review: April 25, 2019

We almost lost our senior rescue whippet Stella to bouts of pancreatitis and irritable bowel syndrome. She went through tests and iv's and overnighters at the vet and we spent several thousand dollars trying to keep her healthy. In desperation we were feeding her nothing but boiled chicken, pumpkin and rice. We knew she needed more nutritious meals but everything we bought either did not agree with her super sensitive digestive track or her picky taste buds. I had seen the refrigerated Freshpet displays but thought they were probably just some "designer" dog food.

On a whim I went to their webpage and entered Stella's health issues to see what they recommended. They suggested Freshpet's Select Tender Chicken with brown rice and veggies. I figured I would give it a try. She loved it and Freshpet loved her too. Stella will be 13 years old in June and she is back to chasing the bunnies in the yard and bouncing off the couch to show off when we have company. We have not had to make rice or give her pills at all since she started on Freshpet. We are positive that it is the Freshpet which has given us back our sweet silly puppy and we will be forever grateful for that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Very helpful and response was really a good time. I enjoy Fresh Pet so much for my pet. We have been using fresh pet for our fur baby for some time now and we cannot thank you enough. I know that there have been so many we have tried but really know this is the one for her.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Dog food wet. Saw the advertisements on tv, since my dog is older & seemed to need something more I liked the idea of it being more like people in good. She loves it, more energy, no snoring and seems to feel better, even family noticed the difference. Would highly recommend, have 2 friends who have started using it. Thank you Freshpet.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I am thrilled for my fur baby. Since eating Freshpet, there has been a huge overall improvement in her. Her coat is thicker and she is more active. She seeks out my grandkids to cuddle and play. She hobbles her food voraciously. The most important item to mention is the reduction in seizure activity. I am so thankful about that.

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for your kind words Patricia! We are so happy to hear that your fur baby is doing so well! We wish you all the best! Angela

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I have two miniature schnauzers who happen to be picky eaters. I have tried several brands of dog food and after the recall on grain free I was looking for something else. My puppy was not taking to kibbles well and both had elevated liver levels. Decided to go fresh and as close to raw as possible. Their liver levels dropped over 90% and normal in two weeks. The Vet was amazed and said keep doing what I am doing. I told him about their new dog food.

Not only was the food instrumental in their health issues. They both LOVE it. They run to their bowls when they see me take it out of the fridge. Both are so excited to get their feedings now. Whereas previous foods they may or may not eat it but they were never excited to get it. Wish there were coupons for Freshpet. Everyone says "oh your dogs eat gourmet food". Nothing is too good for my furbabies. Can you make the salmon in a larger roll? I like to give it to them from time to time or mix it in with their chicken.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Freshpet has been the best food for my dog. He always eats all his food. I have tried other fresh dog food but yours has been the best for my dog. He is food sensitive and the chicken agrees with him the best.

Freshpet response

Hello Renee! Thank you so much for your kind words! Your loyalty is greatly appreciated! All the best! Angela

Freshpet expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Freshpet makes all-natural pet food using real meat and vegetables. They don’t use preservatives in their food so you’ll find their product in the refrigerator section of the pet food aisle in your grocery store.

• Brands: Freshpet brands consist of Freshpet Select, Vital and Nature’s Fresh as their refrigerated fresh food. They also make Freshpet baked recipes made with 100 percent fresh chicken or turkey. Dognation and Dog Joy are their chewy dog treat brands and Vital Mix-ins is their whole-blend, vitamin enhanced food.

• Product selector: Freshpet’s product selector walks you through choosing the best food for your dog or cat through a series of questions. Questions include pet breed, weight, food preferences, feeding routine and where you shop for your pets food. The matching tool sets you up with the best Freshpet brand based on your answers and location.

• Food finder: Freshpet has a product finder on their website so you can find a specific brand at a store near you. Simply select the brand you want, enter your zip code and choose the mileage from your zip code you’re willing to travel. Their brands are also available online at Amazon, Jet and freshdirect.

• Comparison tool: Freshpet’s comparison tool lets you select the type of pet you have (dog or cat) and the type of food you’re currently feeding them. It pulls a list based on your selection and compare both brands’ ingredients.

• Price: While no price is listed on Freshpet’s website, their pet food is right at the same price range of other all natural pet food on sites like Walmart and Amazon.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Freshpet Company Information