2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Shop on Petco
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.09/5

Freshpet is an all-natural fresh pet food company that uses whole ingredients and no preservatives. With special diet options and real meat ingredients like poultry and beef, Freshpet prioritizes the quality and freshness of your pet’s food.

BOTTOM LINE

Freshpet offers high-quality refrigerated pet food with an emphasis on freshness and natural ingredients. While pricey, Freshpet is a great option for people looking to feed their pets a fresh diet.

PROS

• Multiple pet food products
  • Appetizing recipes
  • Fresh, natural ingredients
  • Ethical protein sources available

CONS

• Short shelf life
  • Can be pricey

Top Freshpet Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

About 9 or 10 months ago I started using Freshpet. One of mine is almost 8 and just couldn't jump up and down to get on sofa or bed ... No more being overweight and allergies are improving. They are different babies ... I will forever be grateful to Freshpet. I had tried so many brands.

We love your products. My fur babies jump for joy around the kitchen when they hear me open the bag. During this time of COVID-19 kindness is truly appreciated. I lost my job and your company providing coupons to help me in my time of need. From the bottom of my heart thank you.

Freshpet dog food

What is Freshpet?

Freshpet produces all-natural, refrigerated pet food. Its products may be served as a complete meal or mixed with kibble to add variety to your pet’s diet. Serving instructions vary by product — for example, rolled dog food is typically cut into slices and diced into your pet’s bowl.

All Freshpet products must be refrigerated and used within seven days of opening. Products like its chicken or beef patties may be frozen, but check the product’s packaging for confirmation and complete storage instructions.

To reduce your pet's chance for stomach discomfort, it’s recommended that you transition to new foods slowly. Begin by mixing a small amount of Freshpet in with your pet’s current food and increase the amount every few days. After 10 days, your pet can be fully transitioned to Freshpet.

You can find Freshpet products at major grocery stores, pet stores and online retailers. Its Homestyle Creations product line can be ordered directly from Freshpet.

Freshpet food

Freshpet offers multiple product lines and sells food for nearly any cat or dog. Its full list of food lines includes:

• Freshpet Select Dog & Cat Food: Freshpet Select includes 100% natural poultry, beef or fish. The company also offers a no-meat option. This fresh, preservative-free product line includes rolled soft food, bagged food and stew-style wet food.
  • Vital Dog & Cat Food: Vital recipes are 100% non-GMO with no preservatives, and they offer a complete and balanced diet for pets in all life stages. Choose from bagged or rolled pet food with a variety of protein sources for dogs and cats.
  • Nature’s Fresh Dog & Cat Food: Nature’s Fresh uses local, ethically sourced ingredients that are antibiotic-free and vegetarian-fed. Shop rolls or bagged food for dogs and cats.
  • Deli Fresh Dog Food: Freshpet’s Deli Fresh dog food line uses antibiotic-free chicken and non-GMO ingredients. The recipes are grain-free and only available at Costco wholesale stores.
  • Homestyle Creations Dog Food: The Homestyle Creations line combines frozen chicken or beef patties with fresh fruit or vegetable mixers for a complete, balanced meal for dogs. These recipes use 100% natural ingredients with no preservatives.
  • Fresh Treats for Dogs: Freshpet’s Dog Nation and Dog Joy treat lines feature real meat as the first ingredient with no byproducts or artificial flavors. They contain whole, limited ingredients and are fully cooked for your dog to enjoy.

Freshpet prices

Freshpet doesn’t fully disclose pricing on its website, but depending on your pet’s size, health needs and preferred product line, prices range from $90 to $400 per month. Below, we’ve charted the average cost per day for Freshpet’s products based on a 10-pound cat and 50-pound dog.

Product lineAverage cost per day (cats)Average cost per day (dogs)
Freshpet Select$2 - $4$3 - $13
Vital$2$7
Nature’s Fresh$1$5
Deli FreshSee Costco pricing
Homestyle Creations$14
Fresh Treats$5 - $7 per bag

Freshpet FAQ

How long is Freshpet good after opening?
Freshpet products are good for seven days after opening and must be refrigerated at all times.
Do vets recommend Freshpet dog food?
Your vet may make a food recommendation based on your dog’s health and medical history. Freshpet’s pet food is high protein, so it may not be right for all dogs. Ask your vet if they recommend Freshpet for your pet.
Is Freshpet food healthy?
Freshpet uses high-quality ingredients to provide a healthy, balanced diet for dogs and cats. If your pet has specific dietary needs or health issues, speak to your vet about whether Freshpet is the best food for them.
Can Freshpet be delivered?
Freshpet can be ordered online directly from Freshpet or from major online retailers and pet stores
How do you feed your pet Freshpet?
Freshpet is a refrigerated soft food that can be served as a complete meal or as a topper. Rolled meals are diced before serving, while wet and bagged foods can be poured directly into your pet’s bowl. Consult the instructions on your Freshpet product for specific feeding instructions.

Is Freshpet good?

Freshpet is tailor-made for pet owners who are concerned about the source and quality of pet food ingredients. Although its product line is pricey, we like its variety of protein options and the emphasis on small-batch freshness. We recommend Freshpet for pet owners interested in fresh or raw feeding and who don’t mind paying a little extra for quality ingredients.

Freshpet Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: June 9, 2020

I adopted my chihuahua, Rosie, about a year and a half ago. I have had the hardest time finding a food for her. We started with canned, then frozen raw, then freeze-dried raw. Each time I changed her food, she would fast for three days. When traveling, she would refuse to eat her normal food. Once we got home, it would be another three day fast before she would eat dog food. I started her on raw because I want her to have the best, freshest food out there. I thought this was my best choice (even though she didn't really like it).

This semester, I took a class where we learn about different business related paperwork, formatting, and generally how to write as a professional. For part of the semester, our work had to be based on a publicly traded company, and I chose Freshpet because it was pet related and I somewhat recognized the name. While doing these projects, I had to pretend to be an employee, writing memorandums, emails, and a white paper for Freshpet. In my white paper, I researched why someone should choose Freshpet over raw or kibble, and I ended up convincing myself.

There is no other food on the shelves that can really compare. Freshpet is cooked in a way that preserves as much nutritional value as possible, has responsibly sourced ingredients, and it smells (and probably tastes) just like leftovers! When I took a piece to see if Rosie would try it, she bit my fingers trying to get at it. I hand-fed her the portion of food she was supposed to have for her first day transitioning because while I was trying to put it away, she'd be jumping at my legs and whining for more! When I gave her Freshpet in a bowl (separate from her raw food) she ran over and licked it clean! I have never seen this dog so excited to eat. She followed me around the house for at least ten minutes after she finished looking up at me like I had more to give her.

The past few days where she has had only Freshpet, she reminds me when it is time to feed her (which she never used to do!). I have noticed that her bowel movements are more regular, she has much more energy, and with such easy portioning, she is losing weight in a healthy way. She is a much happier dog and I am a much happier owner. She is finally a dog that is excited to eat! Thanks, Freshpet!

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: March 20, 2020

For year, we have been feeding our 2 huskies aged 12 (Bear) and 6 (Kaya) the Costco Kirkland Salmon brand as Kaya had allergies to many other brands with lots of itching and scratching. In December 2019, Bear was diagnosed with diabetes and then Feb 27, 2020 he had a seizure. We decided to change their food to Fresh Pet and these are our incredible findings…

1) No allergies noted on either dog.

2) Minimal dog excrement waste in the yard compared with the other brand.

3) Their demeanor changed. Instead of being hyper and impatient after they ate the Costco food, making it hard for us to eat our breakfast, now once they eat the Fresh Pet food, they lay down, sleep, relax and wait till we are done with our breakfast in peace and then we go for our walk. TOTALLY different to the point my husband commented “what has happened to our dogs?”

4) Best of ALL…Bear had been on 18 units of insulin twice a day with high sugar levels despite this dose (in the 300’s). He has since been weaned down to 12 units twice a day with levels around 200!! Now that is the HUGE. The veterinary was so shocked when I told her that I had been weaning his dose that I brought in the Freestyle Libre monitor to show her his incredible numbers and progress he has made. This has been so dramatic and unbelievable.

Fresh Pet is incredible food and I am glad that we made the change. Fred and Brenda

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for sharing Bear and Kaya's amazing experience. We appreciate your loyalty to Freshpet, and wish you all the best! Stay well! Kind Regards, Angela

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

We have a Belgian Tervuren Shepherd. They are notorious for being picky eaters. The phrase, "They'll eat when they're hungry.", does NOT apply. He's a little over two years old and this has been a problem since we got him at four months old. We have tried EVERYTHING. Mixing other foods into dry food, wet food with dry food, just wet food, food with gravy, etc. You get the idea. After some personal issues where he was taken, I finally got him back. He was 20 lbs underweight which is quite a bit for a dog that averages 55 lbs. I was desperate to get him to eat. I was mixing scrambled eggs, canned chicken, mac & cheese, gravy, boiled eggs, cheese, and dog food in various combinations. I try to get him to eat twice a day. For three weeks I've been doing this and it's been hit or miss with eating.

I was at the store three days ago and decided to buy a 1 lb roll of the chicken. My intent was to mix it with something else. I decided to try it by itself. I cut up half the roll into bite size pieces. I hand fed him one small piece and put it in his bowl. It was gone in five minutes. I was holding my breath. He's eaten something before only to turn his nose at it again. For three days now, I've fed him the chicken, beef, and chicken/turkey flavors. He has eaten it all every time I've given it to him. I wish I could find the words to tell you how much this means to me. His life was at risk and this food has helped turn the corner on getting him to eat so he'll gain weight and improve his health. Thank you for saving my dog's life.

Freshpet response

Hi Robin, Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Hearing about the transformation that your sweet pup went through thanks to our food just made our day. We are SO thankful that you all are part of the Freshpet family.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

My Toy Poodle is very picky and won't eat much food. I saw this food at Sam's Club and decided to try it. To my surprise, my dog loved it! I was online looking at reviews and became a little worried about one of the ingredients in the food. It is carrageenan. From what I read, it doesn't look like it is a good thing to put in food and is indigestible. The article I read makes me worry that I shouldn't be giving it to my dog even though my dog loves the food. I wish they would take this one ingredient out of their pet food and I would feel much better about giving it to her.

Freshpet response

Hi Karen, Thank you for your feedback. We value the opinions of our pet parents, and we would like to address your concerns about this ingredient. Undegraded carrageenan is found in some of our recipes at low levels, and it's only included to help maintain the form and texture.

Undegraded carrageenan has been found safe for use in both human and pet food by the FDA, USDA, and is deemed natural by the National Organic Standards Board. We also took things a step further & consulted with animal nutrition experts before ever considering using this ingredient. Because of this, and based on data presented by food safety and toxicology experts, we know it to be a safe ingredient at the levels we are using.

Regardless, we completely respect your thoughts & opinions, and appreciate you allowing us to explain things on our end a bit further. We wish you all the best

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I brought a beautiful 5 month old Labradoodle into our family about 11 months ago. For the first 7 months we went through a bunch of different dog foods from very expensive to completely inexpensive to try to help with his digestion as he was always have loose sometimes runny poops that smelled horribly bad. One day I was looking in the grocery aisle for something new to try yet again and decided to take a chance on Freshpet. I mean nothing else up until now was working and I was starting to get extremely concern that my sweet Bentley was not getting proper nutrition, and such unhealthy loose and runny stools. I grabbed a small roll of the beef. He loved it and from that very first poop after his first serving of Freshpet, he had a normal firm poop.

I could not have been happier as when switching foods can always cause digestion issues until their systems get used to the change. Since that very first time he has never had a problem with loose or runny stools! He is happy and more lively and his coat is shining! I am soooo glad I decided to try this dog food that day. He has been eating this food for a few months now. We have tried a few different flavors and he loves them all and has had no issues with any of it. Thank you so much for creating this food. It truest has turned around the health of my sweet boy!

Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story with us. Sweet Bentley is absolutely beautiful. We are so happy you are part of our Freshpet family.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

HI! Thank you for your prompt response to my email! I’m thrilled to be receiving coupons. My chihuahuas love Fresh Pet & I love the ease of cutting off a slice to serve them. Great product. Thank you!

Lisa **

Freshpet response

Hi Lisa, thank you for the kind words. It is nice to hear your dogs enjoy Freshpet! Have a super day! Regards, Genevieve

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

My Bernese Mountain Dog Kaiden is 11 yrs old and since we been feeding him Freshpet he acts like a a young dog again! He wants to play and knows when he is getting his Freshpet. He also loves the stew!!

Freshpet response

Thank you Susan for the lovely words. We are so very happy to hear Kaiden enjoys Freshpet and it makes him feel young! Have a great day! Genevieve

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I have a 4 year old Old English Sheepdog that has been on Blue since I got him, but I always worried about bloat in large dogs, my daughter also has one, but hers was very finicky about eating; so when she suggested I try the Freshpet, I did (even with the cost) and I've been very pleased. I don't have the worry and my dog loves it.

Freshpet response

Hi Cheryl, we are thrilled to hear how happy you are using Freshpet. It is truly rewarding when our pet parents feel so strongly about our brands. Our goal has always been to provide consumers with the finest products. Have a great day! Genevieve

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

My rescued pup was having gut and skin issues. I tried different crunchy food and finally found a good one that was grain free, corn free and the first 5 ingredients were all good stuff, his bathroom habits got a little better but not totally and still had itching. SO, I did a little more research and found my (CANNED) food could be the real issue. I switched the canned stuff out for Vital Fresh pet I found at Petsmart and it has made a world of difference. No more talking gut, stools are regular and his skin is even better. No more dandruff. He loves the new (wet) choice of food and sits in his spots just waiting and staring at me while I prepare it. The big loaf gets us about 2 weeks as a topper (he is a 65 lb dog) and I think spend less in a month than I did buying the big cans wet food.

Freshpet response

Hi Cori - Wow, we are so thrilled to hear how our Vital food has made such a positive change in your pup! Stories like yours are the reason we do what we do. Thank you for taking the time to share your happy "tail" and we wish your pup a long and healthy life :)

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

My dog loves the taste. Just started two days ago. I will be starting my 11 month puppies to the food as well. I would like to request some coupons. I have three dogs that I will transition to your food, but I hear from friends that they are very satisfied with their dog's reaction to the food.

Freshpet response

Hi Diane, it is nice to hear your dog enjoys Freshpet. Best wishes with the new puppies. Please sign up for our newsletter to hear about special offers and promotions. You can also go to our Facebook page to learn about new events too! Have a great day! Genevieve

Freshpet Company Information