2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Shop on Petco
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.01/5

Freshpet is an all-natural fresh pet food company that uses whole ingredients and no preservatives. With special diet options and real meat ingredients like poultry and beef, Freshpet prioritizes the quality and freshness of your pet’s food.

BOTTOM LINE

Freshpet offers high-quality refrigerated pet food with an emphasis on freshness and natural ingredients. While pricey, Freshpet is a great option for people looking to feed their pets a fresh diet.

PROS

• Multiple pet food products
  • Appetizing recipes
  • Fresh, natural ingredients
  • Ethical protein sources available

CONS

• Short shelf life
  • Can be pricey

Top Freshpet Reviews We Found

About 9 or 10 months ago I started using Freshpet. One of mine is almost 8 and just couldn't jump up and down to get on sofa or bed ... No more being overweight and allergies are improving. They are different babies ... I will forever be grateful to Freshpet. I had tried so many brands.

We love your products. My fur babies jump for joy around the kitchen when they hear me open the bag. During this time of COVID-19 kindness is truly appreciated. I lost my job and your company providing coupons to help me in my time of need. From the bottom of my heart thank you.

What is Freshpet?

Freshpet produces all-natural, refrigerated pet food. Its products may be served as a complete meal or mixed with kibble to add variety to your pet’s diet. Serving instructions vary by product — for example, rolled dog food is typically cut into slices and diced into your pet’s bowl.

All Freshpet products must be refrigerated and used within seven days of opening. Products like its chicken or beef patties may be frozen, but check the product’s packaging for confirmation and complete storage instructions.

To reduce your pet's chance for stomach discomfort, it’s recommended that you transition to new foods slowly. Begin by mixing a small amount of Freshpet in with your pet’s current food and increase the amount every few days. After 10 days, your pet can be fully transitioned to Freshpet.

You can find Freshpet products at major grocery stores, pet stores and online retailers. Its Homestyle Creations product line can be ordered directly from Freshpet.

Freshpet food

Freshpet offers multiple product lines and sells food for nearly any cat or dog. Its full list of food lines includes:

• Freshpet Select Dog & Cat Food: Freshpet Select includes 100% natural poultry, beef or fish. The company also offers a no-meat option. This fresh, preservative-free product line includes rolled soft food, bagged food and stew-style wet food.
  • Vital Dog & Cat Food: Vital recipes are 100% non-GMO with no preservatives, and they offer a complete and balanced diet for pets in all life stages. Choose from bagged or rolled pet food with a variety of protein sources for dogs and cats.
  • Nature’s Fresh Dog & Cat Food: Nature’s Fresh uses local, ethically sourced ingredients that are antibiotic-free and vegetarian-fed. Shop rolls or bagged food for dogs and cats.
  • Deli Fresh Dog Food: Freshpet’s Deli Fresh dog food line uses antibiotic-free chicken and non-GMO ingredients. The recipes are grain-free and only available at Costco wholesale stores.
  • Homestyle Creations Dog Food: The Homestyle Creations line combines frozen chicken or beef patties with fresh fruit or vegetable mixers for a complete, balanced meal for dogs. These recipes use 100% natural ingredients with no preservatives.
  • Fresh Treats for Dogs: Freshpet’s Dog Nation and Dog Joy treat lines feature real meat as the first ingredient with no byproducts or artificial flavors. They contain whole, limited ingredients and are fully cooked for your dog to enjoy.

Freshpet prices

Freshpet doesn’t fully disclose pricing on its website, but depending on your pet’s size, health needs and preferred product line, prices range from $90 to $400 per month. Below, we’ve charted the average cost per day for Freshpet’s products based on a 10-pound cat and 50-pound dog.

Product lineAverage cost per day (cats)Average cost per day (dogs)
Freshpet Select$2 - $4$3 - $13
Vital$2$7
Nature’s Fresh$1$5
Deli FreshSee Costco pricing
Homestyle Creations$14
Fresh Treats$5 - $7 per bag

Freshpet FAQ

How long is Freshpet good after opening?
Freshpet products are good for seven days after opening and must be refrigerated at all times.
Do vets recommend Freshpet dog food?
Your vet may make a food recommendation based on your dog’s health and medical history. Freshpet’s pet food is high protein, so it may not be right for all dogs. Ask your vet if they recommend Freshpet for your pet.
Is Freshpet food healthy?
Freshpet uses high-quality ingredients to provide a healthy, balanced diet for dogs and cats. If your pet has specific dietary needs or health issues, speak to your vet about whether Freshpet is the best food for them.
Can Freshpet be delivered?
Freshpet can be ordered online directly from Freshpet or from major online retailers and pet stores
How do you feed your pet Freshpet?
Freshpet is a refrigerated soft food that can be served as a complete meal or as a topper. Rolled meals are diced before serving, while wet and bagged foods can be poured directly into your pet’s bowl. Consult the instructions on your Freshpet product for specific feeding instructions.

Is Freshpet good?

Freshpet is tailor-made for pet owners who are concerned about the source and quality of pet food ingredients. Although its product line is pricey, we like its variety of protein options and the emphasis on small-batch freshness. We recommend Freshpet for pet owners interested in fresh or raw feeding and who don’t mind paying a little extra for quality ingredients.

Freshpet Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: June 9, 2020

I adopted my chihuahua, Rosie, about a year and a half ago. I have had the hardest time finding a food for her. We started with canned, then frozen raw, then freeze-dried raw. Each time I changed her food, she would fast for three days. When traveling, she would refuse to eat her normal food. Once we got home, it would be another three day fast before she would eat dog food. I started her on raw because I want her to have the best, freshest food out there. I thought this was my best choice (even though she didn't really like it).

This semester, I took a class where we learn about different business related paperwork, formatting, and generally how to write as a professional. For part of the semester, our work had to be based on a publicly traded company, and I chose Freshpet because it was pet related and I somewhat recognized the name. While doing these projects, I had to pretend to be an employee, writing memorandums, emails, and a white paper for Freshpet. In my white paper, I researched why someone should choose Freshpet over raw or kibble, and I ended up convincing myself.

There is no other food on the shelves that can really compare. Freshpet is cooked in a way that preserves as much nutritional value as possible, has responsibly sourced ingredients, and it smells (and probably tastes) just like leftovers! When I took a piece to see if Rosie would try it, she bit my fingers trying to get at it. I hand-fed her the portion of food she was supposed to have for her first day transitioning because while I was trying to put it away, she'd be jumping at my legs and whining for more! When I gave her Freshpet in a bowl (separate from her raw food) she ran over and licked it clean! I have never seen this dog so excited to eat. She followed me around the house for at least ten minutes after she finished looking up at me like I had more to give her.

The past few days where she has had only Freshpet, she reminds me when it is time to feed her (which she never used to do!). I have noticed that her bowel movements are more regular, she has much more energy, and with such easy portioning, she is losing weight in a healthy way. She is a much happier dog and I am a much happier owner. She is finally a dog that is excited to eat! Thanks, Freshpet!

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2020

For year, we have been feeding our 2 huskies aged 12 (Bear) and 6 (Kaya) the Costco Kirkland Salmon brand as Kaya had allergies to many other brands with lots of itching and scratching. In December 2019, Bear was diagnosed with diabetes and then Feb 27, 2020 he had a seizure. We decided to change their food to Fresh Pet and these are our incredible findings…

1) No allergies noted on either dog.

2) Minimal dog excrement waste in the yard compared with the other brand.

3) Their demeanor changed. Instead of being hyper and impatient after they ate the Costco food, making it hard for us to eat our breakfast, now once they eat the Fresh Pet food, they lay down, sleep, relax and wait till we are done with our breakfast in peace and then we go for our walk. TOTALLY different to the point my husband commented “what has happened to our dogs?”

4) Best of ALL…Bear had been on 18 units of insulin twice a day with high sugar levels despite this dose (in the 300’s). He has since been weaned down to 12 units twice a day with levels around 200!! Now that is the HUGE. The veterinary was so shocked when I told her that I had been weaning his dose that I brought in the Freestyle Libre monitor to show her his incredible numbers and progress he has made. This has been so dramatic and unbelievable.

Fresh Pet is incredible food and I am glad that we made the change. Fred and Brenda

Freshpet response

Thank you so much for sharing Bear and Kaya's amazing experience. We appreciate your loyalty to Freshpet, and wish you all the best! Stay well! Kind Regards, Angela

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

We have a Belgian Tervuren Shepherd. They are notorious for being picky eaters. The phrase, "They'll eat when they're hungry.", does NOT apply. He's a little over two years old and this has been a problem since we got him at four months old. We have tried EVERYTHING. Mixing other foods into dry food, wet food with dry food, just wet food, food with gravy, etc. You get the idea. After some personal issues where he was taken, I finally got him back. He was 20 lbs underweight which is quite a bit for a dog that averages 55 lbs. I was desperate to get him to eat. I was mixing scrambled eggs, canned chicken, mac & cheese, gravy, boiled eggs, cheese, and dog food in various combinations. I try to get him to eat twice a day. For three weeks I've been doing this and it's been hit or miss with eating.

I was at the store three days ago and decided to buy a 1 lb roll of the chicken. My intent was to mix it with something else. I decided to try it by itself. I cut up half the roll into bite size pieces. I hand fed him one small piece and put it in his bowl. It was gone in five minutes. I was holding my breath. He's eaten something before only to turn his nose at it again. For three days now, I've fed him the chicken, beef, and chicken/turkey flavors. He has eaten it all every time I've given it to him. I wish I could find the words to tell you how much this means to me. His life was at risk and this food has helped turn the corner on getting him to eat so he'll gain weight and improve his health. Thank you for saving my dog's life.

Freshpet response

Hi Robin, Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Hearing about the transformation that your sweet pup went through thanks to our food just made our day. We are SO thankful that you all are part of the Freshpet family.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

My Toy Poodle is very picky and won't eat much food. I saw this food at Sam's Club and decided to try it. To my surprise, my dog loved it! I was online looking at reviews and became a little worried about one of the ingredients in the food. It is carrageenan. From what I read, it doesn't look like it is a good thing to put in food and is indigestible. The article I read makes me worry that I shouldn't be giving it to my dog even though my dog loves the food. I wish they would take this one ingredient out of their pet food and I would feel much better about giving it to her.

Freshpet response

Hi Karen, Thank you for your feedback. We value the opinions of our pet parents, and we would like to address your concerns about this ingredient. Undegraded carrageenan is found in some of our recipes at low levels, and it's only included to help maintain the form and texture.

Undegraded carrageenan has been found safe for use in both human and pet food by the FDA, USDA, and is deemed natural by the National Organic Standards Board. We also took things a step further & consulted with animal nutrition experts before ever considering using this ingredient. Because of this, and based on data presented by food safety and toxicology experts, we know it to be a safe ingredient at the levels we are using.

Regardless, we completely respect your thoughts & opinions, and appreciate you allowing us to explain things on our end a bit further. We wish you all the best

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I brought a beautiful 5 month old Labradoodle into our family about 11 months ago. For the first 7 months we went through a bunch of different dog foods from very expensive to completely inexpensive to try to help with his digestion as he was always have loose sometimes runny poops that smelled horribly bad. One day I was looking in the grocery aisle for something new to try yet again and decided to take a chance on Freshpet. I mean nothing else up until now was working and I was starting to get extremely concern that my sweet Bentley was not getting proper nutrition, and such unhealthy loose and runny stools. I grabbed a small roll of the beef. He loved it and from that very first poop after his first serving of Freshpet, he had a normal firm poop.

I could not have been happier as when switching foods can always cause digestion issues until their systems get used to the change. Since that very first time he has never had a problem with loose or runny stools! He is happy and more lively and his coat is shining! I am soooo glad I decided to try this dog food that day. He has been eating this food for a few months now. We have tried a few different flavors and he loves them all and has had no issues with any of it. Thank you so much for creating this food. It truest has turned around the health of my sweet boy!

Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story with us. Sweet Bentley is absolutely beautiful. We are so happy you are part of our Freshpet family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: June 22, 2020

I have been feeding Freshpet to both my approx 14-16-year-old chihuahua mix and my 1.5 year old chihuahua mix for about the last 3 to 4 months. I have tried different products, i.e. protein formula however this formula seemed to be their favorite. Over the last week which has been the same time frame in which they have been eating a bag with expiration date Nov 2020 both dogs have been vomiting. The older dog has also had a small amount of blood in his feces. Both have been gasping for air though this has happened inconsistently.

It finally occurred to me after about 3 to 4 days of this to read the reviews on Freshpet. I am seeing some concerns from other pet owners here which now has me further questioning the product. Prior to this bag, I was very pleased with how well my dogs were enjoying their food. Now, nearing the end of this bag, I am considering going back to preparing their food (chicken, veggies and rice) on my own again. Hoping for some additional insight as I was excited to have found what seemed like a really good food for my dogs.

Original review: June 15, 2020

This Freshpet, option was a great choice as use of 3-4 tablespoons as an encouragement to eat, for my dog. It WAS great for about 8 months, then the diarrhea and vomiting started. I stopped all food for 2 days - he was better than introduced the Fresh pet - small bites of 2 tablespoons back in and the diarrhea started again. Off the food and diarrhea stopped, so I am confident in saying my dog is no longer able to tolerate this food, as others have posted with similar symptoms. I am not saying anything about the quality of this product, just that my dog is no longer able to eat it. I called the 1-866 number to report and was told no recalls on any food. Heads up if you are thinking of using this product.

Freshpet response

Hello Lori. Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear our Freshpet is no longer a good fit for your dog. The information you were provided when you called is correct. We never had a recall on any of our Freshpet products at any time. Your comments are very important and will be kept on file. Your loyalty is appreciated.

Original review: June 14, 2020

My dog had been on this food for several months. Late May. He eats chicken Freshpet kibble bags and rolls. Last week he’s up at night panting and squealing in pain. His stomach is the size of a football. Off to the animal hospital all the way uptown at 2:30am in New York during a curfew that started at 8pm. What a disaster. $1000 later my dog has been given fluids and injections. When the sun was shining again I finally got home. My dog slept. The next day he was throwing up. Then, the next evening his stomach is again the size of a football. Off to the animal hospital for a second night, this time at 2am in New York during a curfew. I Still have no idea it’s the batch of Freshpet food that’s poisonous.

Hours later the hospital need to keep my dog overnight. He was given fluids injections and an iv drip overnight. They hospital kept him until the following night. Acute Pancreatitis and his liver readings in blood work were off the charts. The same situation that other customers have reported. Several thousand dollars in vet bills this time, when I returned from the hospital with my dog he had to have painkillers As well as two other strong drugs for three days. He was miserable and wasn’t eating. So I went back to his old diet. And he started eating. So a week goes by. And I’m thinking, what if it’s the food. So I googled and saw on this site how many recent episodes of dogs having the same illnesses as my dog. And I have to write a review.

This food batch of batches from the end of May are toxic. There is something wrong with them. I’m now taking this to Be analyzed by the labs. And I’m taking this to Amazon (because I buy these from Whole Foods, whom they own) And beg they stop selling it. and then to the Consumer bureaus. It’s not safe to feed your dog this food. It could have killed my dog had I not gone out in the middle of a pandemic and protest at the same time in New York City and taken him to hospital.

You can’t ignore all these cases, including mine, and still reasonably sell your product To the unsuspecting public before you recall / acknowledge / FIX the problem. To read other reviews that span over a month and to see your responses show you know have a problem. But you haven’t fixed it. Please don’t buy this food until this company figures out how to make it not fatal for dogs. I can never be a customer again, because I know next time it could kill my dog, and I don’t want to take that chance. The product is defective, in my opinion. I will update this review once I have the Food analysis completed.

Freshpet response

Hi Matthew, Thank you for your review. We are sorry your pet did not have a pleasant experience. We take these matters very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to speak with our Vet Team to learn more about your experience.

Original review: May 26, 2020

About 9 or 10 months ago I started using Freshpet. One of mine is almost 8 and just couldn't jump up and down to get on sofa or bed. My Pom was very picking. My small one was 16 and passed in Dec 2019. Freshpet changed their lives. No more being overweight and allergies are improving. They are different babies. I buy about 8 or 9 tubes a month and worth every dollar. Never had any problems with mold with Freshpet and I buy at Walmart. At Pet Smart they charge 12.96 a tube. I will forever be grateful to Freshpet. I had tried so many brands. Thank you! Janne

Original review: May 21, 2020

I purchased the Freshpet chicken in a bag for my 11 year old Yorkie. She ate it the very first day but by day 2 she would not touch it. She started panting and showing signs of distress. She also will not eat anything or sleep. I’ve now been up the entire night because she had vomited 3 times.

Freshpet response

Hi Jennifer - Thank you for connecting with us via email. We hope your Yorkie is feeling much better. We appreciate the additional information you emailed to us. - Freshpet Consumer Care

Freshpet Company Information