3.57/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Improving the lives of pets since 2006, Freshpet can now be found in over 1 million homes and retailed in over 20,000 stores across North America. Using the freshest ingredients from their kitchen, all Freshpet products are made from scratch using real meat and vegetables. The #1 ingredient in every meal is US raised chicken or beef and can always be found in a refrigerator in the pet food aisle because no preservatives are used in their products. Visit Freshpet today to learn more about the Freshpet community!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

194 Freshpet Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: May 12, 2019

Our pugs are 7 years old and have always been on dry kibble, sometimes with added pet-friendly pumpkin added. In February 2019, our female pug became severely ill. She vomited all day, couldn't keep water down, and was shaking. We had noticed over the previous months she had increased in size too. We took her to the vet and had to get her anti nausea medication and subcutaneous fluid treatment. We still didn't know what was wrong. I was starting to worry that she had bloat. For the next few days, she wouldn't eat or drink and would shake at times. Then we saw the FreshPet commercial with the pug in it. We decided then to give it a try. Our girl pug loved it and started eating again and regained her strength. Our boy pug loved it too. They've been on it since February 2019 and since then both pugs look slimmer and less bloated than they were when they were eating dry high quality kibble. They're more active now.

The pugs look like they've lost weight even though they haven't exercised more than usual and look very healthy now. They drink less water now too as before they would drink a lot which made me worry about their health - we think the dry kibble was making the pugs bloated and dehydrated. They love FreshPet so much. Although the cost of the food is more than what we were spending before on dry kibble, it's totally worth it and possibly saves us hundreds if not thousands in potential vet bills. It's worth the prevention. Thank you FreshPet for saving our pugs!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2019

My little girl, RubyRoo, is super fussy and the only food she has previously eaten straight away is home made meals. I have tried every brand of dog food available in supermarkets and online but she has never went straight to her bowl or been excited when I was serving them up. So, 3 days ago, I was shopping and decided to look in the Freshpet chiller. I'd previously presumed it was going to be too expensive so didn't bother (big mistake!).

I was pleasantly surprised to see how good value the range is! And the chiller was mostly empty which is a good endorsement too. So I took a chance and picked up a 2.7kg roll of grain free chicken. I got home and immediately prepped a perfectly measured portion for my girl (thanks to the handy portion measures on the packaging).

Ruby jumped up as soon as she smelled it, then ate the entire amount in one go. That's never happened before with any other dog food. I've paid 5X the amount that Freshpet costs and Ruby just hasn't been too fussed about those more expensive brands. Ruby has a sensitive tummy and skin too. Even though I didn't introduce Freshpet gradually, her tummy has settled and improved immediately. Her poops are solid again and she is much happier and energetic in general.

After she has finished her food, she comes and jumps in my knee and gives me big kisses and cuddles (her way of saying thank you, awww).

So, do I recommend Freshpet? You betcha. But more importantly, Ruby does! She's always had a lovely whiney coat but she's looking even lovelier, and happier too. All dog parents know when they're pupper is smiling, and my girl smiles a lot when she's just been fed now :). Meal times no longer a chore, me trying to make her food more appealing either. I just serve and she eats it up. If you are in any doubt about trying Freshpet, just go for it, it's great value so give it a shot. I'm pretty certain your four legged friend will love you a little more for it :).

Original review: April 25, 2019

We almost lost our senior rescue whippet Stella to bouts of pancreatitis and irritable bowel syndrome. She went through tests and iv's and overnighters at the vet and we spent several thousand dollars trying to keep her healthy. In desperation we were feeding her nothing but boiled chicken, pumpkin and rice. We knew she needed more nutritious meals but everything we bought either did not agree with her super sensitive digestive track or her picky taste buds. I had seen the refrigerated Freshpet displays but thought they were probably just some "designer" dog food.

On a whim I went to their webpage and entered Stella's health issues to see what they recommended. They suggested Freshpet's Select Tender Chicken with brown rice and veggies. I figured I would give it a try. She loved it and Freshpet loved her too. Stella will be 13 years old in June and she is back to chasing the bunnies in the yard and bouncing off the couch to show off when we have company. We have not had to make rice or give her pills at all since she started on Freshpet. We are positive that it is the Freshpet which has given us back our sweet silly puppy and we will be forever grateful for that.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My Weenie dog is 10 months old and very thin. I have been giving her a very expensive dry food mixed with a little moist food and she just doesn't eat much at all. I decided to try the food in the roll for puppies and she loved it. I give her a thick slice twice a day cut up in little chunks. I feed her one chunk at a time to make sure she chews it and not just suck it up in 30 seconds. To keep it fresh I use my FoodSaver after every time I cut a slice off and store it back and take the air out to keep it fresh. So far so good.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I owe you a most heartfelt apology. You responded immediately to my original complaint. I on the other hand failed to respond in a timely manner to your generosity. You not only sent me product the very next day after our telecon, but coupons as well. I will say that my Yorkie with the least amount of teeth was very happy with the chicken roll. She just wouldn't eat the larger chunked bag bits (L2 vs L1). The other continued on the bag bits. We finally fed both with the roll, which I slice and cube into quarter inch cubes and they are happy and eating very well.

Thank you for being so consumer oriented and gracious enough to provide the alternative product. We are extremely satisfied and grateful to have such a consumer oriented response from a company that we would have believed, until dealing with you, would have blown us off as complainers. Thank you again for your customer care being genuine. IT IS SO REFRESHING TO BE VALUED AS A CUSTOMER AND NOT JUST DISMISSED! I apologize again for not affording you the same courtesy of a timely response. My only excuse is I did want a trial period with the roll before I wrote. Ya'll are wonderful!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freshpet?

Original review: June 22, 2019

Freshpet food has made a difference in my dog's quality of life. Barry is persnickety when it comes to dog food. Yet he loves this food. He thinks he is getting a treat. His bowels are regular and normal, more energy, and all around happier. It also smells good, not like canned dog food that smells like poo. Thank you for creating this for my little baby.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have been feeding my puppy Freshpet for almost three months now. Since being fed Freshpet, she has no digestive issues and her coat has had a great improvement, just from the dietary change alone! She loves the food, never ever leaves any leftovers in her bowl! I have been searching high and low for coupons, can I please please please have some coupons sent to me? I purchase Freshpet weekly and any amount of savings would help. Thank you so much!!

Original review: June 17, 2019

My dog had been on FreshPet for two years. Over Two weeks ago I purchased the Beef, Liver, Lamb and Egg Grain Free 15 pound bag. I always freeze half immediately as my small dog can’t eat a bag in seven days. Upon opening it, the food smelled “off, sour”. The color looked odd compared to normal. My dog ate it for breakfast then later for dinner. That night he threw it up completely undigested. The next morning, I gave it to him. He sniffed it and didn’t eat. He loves this food, obviously he was ill. He then vomited again and had diarrhea. The vet x-rayed his stomach, did blood work and checked his stools. His conclusion, my dog ate something that caused food poisoning.

I am with my dog 24/7. He doesn’t get table scraps, all he had eaten was FreshPet. He has been on two antibiotics and is still not right. I wrote to FreshPet after photographing the bag’s UBC code and label. They offered me coupons, that’s it. No explanation. I offered to send them the bag (and frozen fresh contents). They did not respond. Of course I don’t want coupons, no way am I giving my dog this food again. I don’t think any food dependent on stock clerks and self closing refrigerator doors to keep it cold is 100% safe. Either way, their response was callous and seemingly unconcerned. It seems to me that they should have examined the bag. We are entering a new week where I am still cooking Chicken and rice for a pretty sick pup.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I started using Fresh Pet as a recommendation from a friend. It started out as a supplement to the dry food, but now my dogs love it so much they won't eat anything else. They seem to be more satisfied with their food and feeding time is a frenzy as they get very exciting about eating their Fresh Pet.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My address is above, thanks for the coupons. Your product is awesome and my dogs actually know that a certain time I head to the fridge that it's time for their dinner and they do spins. Any and all coupons you can send would be great. Thanks again you guys are great.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Freshpet has been a lifesaver for us! Our boxer, Mackey, was recently diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer. She wasn’t eating and we tried everything! We tried Freshpet and found it to be the best solution. She loves the crumbles and the puppy food. We love that you can see the real food, like chicken and veggies.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have a 4 yr old Min Pin, we were looking for something more natural for him and were told to try Freshpet. He ate really good for about 1 1/2 weeks and then it went downhill. Completely stopped eating, vomiting, diarrhea, just laid & slept all day. Threw what was left of the Freshpet away & the smell from the bag was beyond bad... It smelt like rotten food. Ended up taking him to the vet and they put him on antibiotics. It took him more than a week to get everything out of his system. We changed his food & he’s back to his healthy playful self again.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Here’s Buster story. When born it took us and the vet about a year to find a food that didn’t cause diarrhea. Finally we had to cook chicken and sweet potatoes and grind up all of the chicken and bag it then freeze it. Lots of labor. This was his diet for 11 years. Then we saw your product took a chance and perfect poop. No problem. Thanks. Your food is all Buster eats now and he and we love it. Good job.

Original review: June 10, 2019

My two babies love the food! I buy it from 3 local places. Publix seems to always have the best quality bags, Target is also pretty good, but when it comes to BJ's Wholesale near me, every time I’ve gone to buy them there they smell so pungent and spoiled. I think I have purchased 3 or 4 bags over a span of a year that have been terrible, the smell makes it all the way to the second floors of the house. Hopefully they can get that issue fixed. Other than that my babies love it! A 5-6 lb bag lasts about 7 days for the both of them. They love feeding time! Thank you Freshpet!

Original review: June 8, 2019

This dog food was liked by our dog in the beginning. But then it started smelling bad after 2 days of opening the package and our dog didn’t want to eat it so we would cook real chicken breast and mix it together to get him to eat it. Then he got wise and didn’t want that either. So I bought a small roll of the beef and he gobbled it down. Then I bought the large roll, but after the 2nd day opening, it had a strange smell and thought it must be me. He started having diarrhea and then started vomiting. We looked at the reviews online and saw others experiencing the same symptoms. This dog food should be taken off the market as far as I’m concerned. Our vet had us boil ground beef and mix it with rice to get our dog to want to eat again! Now it’s hard to get him back to eating dog food again!

Original review: June 7, 2019

My folks have a diabetic dog. They only feed him Freshpet. They had 2 diabetic dogs but one passed away a week ago. This is the only food that seems to work for their dog. The ingredients in Freshpet are natural and the dog loves the flavor.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2019

I’ve been supplementing my dog’s Kibble with 1/2 cup Freshpet twice per day x 2 years. Dog seems to like it, but no matter how carefully I store it - and I’m very careful - it usually smells a little sour after 2 or 3 days. So I’ve decided not to take a chance and to stop using it.

Freshpet response

Hello Ms. Mc Graw, we are very sorry to hear you are finding unpleasant aroma issues with one of our products. We work very hard to make the best products for pets. We will reach out to you in a private message to get additional product information. We would like to provide our Quality Assurance Team an opportunity to research this further. We appreciate your loyalty to Freshpet. Regards, the Consumer Care Team

Original review: June 6, 2019

Dakota love Freshpet but sometimes I can’t afford it. I was looking for some coupons to help me get my dog great food. She a picky dog but loves Freshpet. These would help my budget out greatly. Thank you for assisting me and Dakota to be happier.

Original review: June 6, 2019

When I first got my puppy, Chief, we tried some soft dry food. He would eat it but he just didn’t seem to love it. My mother recommended FreshPet. I bought a couple puppy rolls at the local grocery store and Chief absolutely loves it. He always is looking forward to feeding time and he eats so quickly. I cannot thank you enough for providing my sweet baby with a nutritious meal that he loves!

Original review: June 5, 2019

My fur baby is 16 and he was almost gone. His belly was swollen, barely walking, acted confused. I went and got the chicken flavor roll and in one week his belly was not swollen. He was running and playing with his brother. I can never say enough good stuff about Freshpet.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Coupons - They say they will send me some. I love the product but am having trouble affording it. My dog loves it too. It needs to be available at more stores because pet store prices are ridiculous and cheaper stores like Walmart lack variety.

Original review: June 5, 2019

My dog will only eat this food. She wasnt eating until I bought Freshpet. I would love coupons so that I can keep feeding Bailey. She has a healthy coat already and is full of life again. Thank you so much!

Original review: June 4, 2019

I took a chance to see if your company offers any coupons for your food products. I received a timely response and coupons will be sent. I wanted to try this for a picket water that we have and this is a great opportunity to see how much they will like the food.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Hi I emailed asking for some coupons. I got an immediate response so professional. Love your food. My dog is a very finicky eater but he loves your food. I put it down by the time I turn around it's gone. Keep up the good recipes.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 2, 2019

My dog use to love these treats when they were in the old packaging and they didn't have a sickening smoke odor. Now he refuses to eat them. Even when the packaging changed everything seemed the same on the label so I purchased them. I saw other Freshpet treats that said hickory smoke flavor but they were not the Dog Joy treats. So I bought the Dog Joy Treats because nowhere on the new packaging does it mention smokey flavor. Even the texture of the treat changed. In the old package the treats were soft. Now in the new package they seem to have skin on the outside that wasn't there before. Probably due to the smoking. I will not buy these treats again.

Freshpet response

Hello Mr. Weijermars, sorry to hear your pup no longer enjoys our Dog Joy Turkey Bacon Treats. The treats have not changed. It is the same recipe. We did update the packaging, but the treats were always wood smoked. We will reach out directly to you. Regards, Freshpet Care Team

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 2, 2019

I've been using Freshpet dog food for about 2 years now and when I first started I read a few reviews that dogs have gotten sick. I thought they took care of the matter but I find that my Chin is always throwing up. My chihuahua won't even touch the food anymore. The last three bags I bought have mold within days even though they have a date for like 2 months. I have a bag in my house now that mold it within 3 days. When is this going to stop. When are they going to start thinking about the health of the dog opposed to just making money. I also took my Chin to the doctor last year and they said that she had a bacterial infection. When they checked her feces. I am so done with this dog food. It's very expensive to have crappy quality. Now that I come to site side I see other consumers complaining about the dog food in the last couple of months too.

Freshpet response

Hello Joyce, we are very sorry to read about your experience with Freshpet. We hope your dog is feeling better. We are concerned to hear your dog is always throwing up and would like you and your vet to speak to our veterinary team. We take quality very seriously at Freshpet. Like any Fresh natural and preservative free food ours could spoil if not handled carefully. A damaged bag will allow air to enter and result in mold formation. We would like to retrieve the bag for our Quality Assurance Team for evaluation. We will reach out to you via direct message. Regards, Freshpet Consumer Care Team

Original review: June 1, 2019

I went to WalMart to buy Puppy FreshPet for my 13yrs+ Chihuahua. In the refrigerated case there was none and I spoke to an employee who was stocking in the pet dept and was told that FreshPet no longer made the Puppy item. I did not believe him as this was outrageous. When I got home I called Freshpet and was told Puppy FreshPet was still being made and was sent several coupons. From now on I will buy the Puppy FreshPet at Ingles grocery chain as I have been assured by the store manager that the store will carry the puppy fresh pet. The lady I talked to at Fresh Pet was helpful and very nice. Kudos to her and Pet Fresh! Attached are pix of my two fur babies... Milo is the Black Chihuahua (13 yrs) and Mollie is the ivory long haired Chihuahua (6 yrs). Freshpet Puppy has been a lifesaver for my two babies.

Original review: May 31, 2019

So my chihuahua has been on your food for over a year and loved it, recently we have had a couple of rolls that haven’t smelt as fresh as before not off just not as nice? I noticed she was wary of eating it but ate anyway, Then lived on grass for a day! So I chucked out! So you can’t just change to a new one like that so bought another and was fine. 5 days later from Tesco another not so nice smelling one and now she’s refusing it. It’s slimy and smells old, so annoyed. I’ve got to change to another food now, from what is probably poor refrigeration or transport temp! Can’t risk her being so ill on it... She’s only 4lb, so eating grass she rapidly loses weight! Such a shame something is going wrong your end and it seems not just me affected...

Original review: May 31, 2019

In January of 2019. I was a Walmart looking for healthier dog for my 3 dogs. All different breeds. And the dog food at the pet stores are way too expensive. I was talking out loud. Yes I do that when I shop. A veterinarian list dog food shopping for his dog too. He recommended Freshpet dog food. To be honest we never even looked at the price, before. It was 13.00-19.00 Depending on the size of the log, you get. My dogs LOVE it so much. Their fur has not been so shiny. Even the beagle.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I've contacted the company for coupons for my mother who is a senior citizen and only uses FreshPet for her dog. Great food and great customer service. I had to take her other dog due to new living arrangements for her and I only use FreshPet as well. Very pleased with FreshPet. Thank you for responding.

Freshpet expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Freshpet makes all-natural pet food using real meat and vegetables. They don’t use preservatives in their food so you’ll find their product in the refrigerator section of the pet food aisle in your grocery store.

• Brands: Freshpet brands consist of Freshpet Select, Vital and Nature’s Fresh as their refrigerated fresh food. They also make Freshpet baked recipes made with 100 percent fresh chicken or turkey. Dognation and Dog Joy are their chewy dog treat brands and Vital Mix-ins is their whole-blend, vitamin enhanced food.

• Product selector: Freshpet’s product selector walks you through choosing the best food for your dog or cat through a series of questions. Questions include pet breed, weight, food preferences, feeding routine and where you shop for your pets food. The matching tool sets you up with the best Freshpet brand based on your answers and location.

• Food finder: Freshpet has a product finder on their website so you can find a specific brand at a store near you. Simply select the brand you want, enter your zip code and choose the mileage from your zip code you’re willing to travel. Their brands are also available online at Amazon, Jet and freshdirect.

• Comparison tool: Freshpet’s comparison tool lets you select the type of pet you have (dog or cat) and the type of food you’re currently feeding them. It pulls a list based on your selection and compare both brands’ ingredients.

• Price: While no price is listed on Freshpet’s website, their pet food is right at the same price range of other all natural pet food on sites like Walmart and Amazon.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Freshpet Company Information