2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.34/5

Royal Canin sells breed and life stage tailored nutritional dog and cat food products in veterinary clinics and retail stores throughout the United States. The company has more than 200 formulas on the market, which lets owners find dry and wet pet food for a variety of dog and cat breeds and sizes.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: April 7, 2020

We had been a Royal Canin client for many, many years but no longer. After spending thousands of dollars over the years on Royal Canin dog food I called them today to return a 22 lbs bag which is still sealed and asked for a credit of file. Royal Canin gave me every excuse you could think of why they wouldn't take it back. They blamed the Vet we purchased it at for not taking it back. The Vet blames Canin for not taking returns and I'm in disbelief. We lost our large dog so we no longer need a 22 lb bag. All I asked for was a credit on account for the 22 lb bag and I would continue purchasing small bags. After being given the run around my husband and I are donating the 22 lb bag to the local humane society and are now looking at different food for our small dog. WE WILL NEVER BUY ROYAL CANIN AGAIN!!! Terrible service and terrible company!!

Original review: March 30, 2020

After reading countless reviews about symptoms... vomiting & weight loss. I called RC, they changed the formula. Removed the egg buffer and added gluten. The representative tried pushing another product for senior cats. When I asked her to address my concerns she was lackadaisical and rude. PLEASE! Anyone reading this stop feeding your pets this product immediately! I have used it for the last 6 years and now it is different, making my cat vomit every day!

Original review: March 21, 2020

Late last year, at Ohio State Vet hospital, my male dachshund had bladder stone removal surgery and we were referred to Royal Canin food in an effort to prevent new stones. I'm not a fan of commercial dog food anyway, but we bought some. Well, within a matter of weeks my baby was gassy and having runny diarrhea. I gave him some pink thick anti diarrhea medicine and a probiotic. I took him off that food and, after much prayer, I am dumping that stuff. We are scheduled to meet with a dietitian at OSU to go back to a stone safe homemade diet. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS FOOD! If your baby is having symptoms STOP THE FOOD ASAP.

Original review: March 14, 2020

My male cat had an episode of stones so I took him to the vet and he recommended I feed him RC (urinary) for life to help with the stones. He hasn't gotten any since, but he was vomiting the RC food every time I fed him after feeding him the food for about 2 months which worried me. It doesn't help that the ingredients are such low quality. I felt awful for my little boy so I switched his food, have more water out, reduced stressors and I'm adding more wet food to his diet to get more moisture into him. I feel like RC is overpriced for its quality anyway. Also, I'm not sure vets have the best knowledge when it comes to nutrition.

Original review: March 9, 2020

Have been feeding two older cats digest sensitive wet food for 3 years since one cat had onset of severe vomiting issues 3 years ago. Recently, both cats stopped eating the food and began drinking more water. Then, our cat with the initial vomiting issues 3 years ago suddenly died last week. I'm wondering if our experience may be related to others' experiences and questions regarding this Royal Canin product.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I have been feeding my cats Urinary so for years now.... And the past 3 months my one cat has lost 3 pounds, he's getting very thin now, He pukes every day!!! Has diarrhea.!!! I've spent $1600 trying to find out what's wrong him!!! With no real answers... They are stumped!! He has one larger kidney, and enlarged thyroid!!! I've had several tests done!!! Never thought it might be the food!! But I looked to see if they changed the recipe!!!! Sure enough!!! Explains so much right now. Reading all the comments from everyone just verified it's the food!! Going to see my Vet tom!!!

Original review: March 1, 2020

Our standard poodle developed severe diarrhea on several occasions, dating back to November 2019. At first I did connect it with the dog food but that became apparent over time. We put him on bland rice and chicken diet and he got better after 7-10 days. In the meantime, he had diarrhea over many days that was pure liquid with foul smell. We reintroduced his Royal Canin SO and within two days, the same symptoms. Back to rice and chicken. Better. Then a third time with same symptoms after introducing the Royal Canin.

The last time he stopped eating and drinking for an entire day - big red flag for a dog. He was restless and obviously uncomfortable. That was the last time he had Royal Canin. He's now on a homemade low oxalate diet because of his previous bladder stones - doing fine for a month. Threw out the Royal Canin - will never go back to it. Called the company - the chirpy rep said they had no complaints even though I see on this site others called to complain. Hmmm. This all coincided with Royal Canin's switch to a new formula at the time. Something went very wrong, but they won't admit to it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Our vet recommended Royal Canin dry cat food for urinary care, however our two cats vomited several times per week for months. It was rough. When we switched them to no-grain wet food (Weruva) from the pet store, they both stopped vomiting. It was a drastic change. Wet food seems much closer to a cat's natural diet. However, not all wet food is created equal. Grain free, high-quality wet food was the best choice for our cats. No more vomiting.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I have used Royal Canin in one form or another for 20 years with my Chihuahuas. The two older ones lived exclusively on RC Chihuahua and lived both to 16 years of age. My current Chi has been on a RC as of two bags ago with success for her many allergies..hence the novel protein kangaroo...(sorry Roos). No other protein tolerated and the RC hydrolyzed she started to look not as healthy. So the third bag of the Royal Canin Select Dog KO was opened and fed as usual. Since she had 2 full bags with no issues the first vomiting episode I did not connect it to the food. She gets no other treats or human food period due to her issues. She is fed am and pm only. At 4 pm I fed her her evening meal and an hour later vomited multiple times. Her tummy gurgled all night long..thankfully no diarrhea but we were waiting for it. I still have the bag.

I called RC and they sent me the same lot number out. Tried again and same lot number and same batch. I am fearful now there is something wrong as so many others here are having the same problem. The company rep was very kind and took it seriously. The bag in question will go to my vet and she will have it sent in. I am saving some of the food just in case it gets lost. There were no ingredient change in the formula. The smell was a tad bit different. Cannot identify what it is. I hope they can tell something from my bag of dogfood. She needs to be on it and now she is on one that has chickpeas and they don't want her on that one..but she tolerates the venison. We loved RC and they gave our other dogs a healthy life. Something has changed.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I am a retailer that been working with Royal Canin for couple years, few times they send me food that had expiration date only for couple months. I been speaking repeatedly with the customer service about it and no one was doing anything! They are saying that the sales representative will contact me and it took MONTHS!!! (Over 4 months.) Every company that I work with they stay on top of their products and business, but Royal Canin For the reputation they have, it's a shame to act on this very poor way of handling their business.

I also tried to speak with the management regarding the problem but the staff refused to let me talk to them. I stop carrying their product on my shop, and I'll recommend everyone who reads this to check the dates on the food when they buy bigger quantities because they always throw bags that they are close to expire.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information