1.27/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

503 Royal Canin Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Angry! So angry! We just brought home our new companion Rufus - 9 weeks old. It was breeders and vets advise to feed him the best - Royal Canin. Poor thing was thirsty ALL the time, lethargic, vomiting in mornings, diarrhea 6-8 times a day and then it turned into bloody diarrhea. Switched to chicken as soon as I noticed blood and Rufus was fine next morning. No drinking all day long, running in yard, keen to play and 3rd poop started to look more like it - no mucus, no blood traces, no whipped texture to poop. DO NOT LET YOUR PETS NEAR THIS TOXIC STUFF!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I had a sweet little sheltie who was 7 years old who I loved dearly. She had allergies so she had been eating the Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food for the last 2 or 3 years. She loved her Royal Canin food and would get so excited that she'd run in circles waiting for it. I bought a couple of cases of the canned Royal Canin HP about a month ago which she had been eating. About a week ago all of the sudden she smelled her food and would not eat it. I then tried feeding her other food but she would not eat that either. She vomited later that night. The next morning the process repeated itself where she would not eat yet still threw up. I was now very worried since she hadn't eaten in 2 days so the next morning I rushed her to a vet.

The vet performed blood work and told me her kidneys were failing and there was nothing he could do. He asked me if she had eaten anything poisonous and the only thing she had been eating was the Royal Canin HP food. I then took her to an animal hospital for a 2nd opinion and they confirmed the kidney problems but thought they could do something to help her so I checked her into that hospital. 2 days later the hospital informs me that in addition to the kidney problems she now had other complications to the point that I had to end her life 2 nights ago. It tore my heart out to have to let her go. I don't know specifically if the Royal Canin food was the cause but her symptoms matched what other reviewers have indicated and that was the only food I fed her. I wish I had the resources to have her food independently tested but I don't. I just wanted to share my experience so that people are aware.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I own two Shih-Tzus, an adult approx. 8 yrs. old, and a puppy 9 months old. They are fed Royal Canin Shih Tzu formula (dry) per vet and breeder recommendations, without incident until the past two weeks when I purchased new food. Both dogs became ill, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of energy, they smell the food and are refusing to eat! Dog food was purchased at PetSmart last week. I contacted Royal Canin USA 10/10/18 and customer rep stated they keep a sample of each batch manufactured and would check the batch sample. She suggested there may be a pin-point hole in the bag from shipping/handling and the dogs who have sharp sense of smell may detect something off!

She failed to mention that R.C. has recently made changes to dog food formulas; I learned this from reading the Consumer Affairs review etc. These dogs are "family", expensive, and I'm terribly concerned about their health after they've consumed food and become ill. Totally disgusted and disappointed with the response from Royal Canin USA who suggested returning the product to PetSmart for replacement!!! or refund. We're considering independent lab testing of this last bag purchased, to determine content and quality.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have used the dry Sensitive Digestion food for approximately 2 years with no problem until summer 2018 when both my pets would vomit after eating. This went on for several weeks intermittently. I wondered if they were eating too fast, as both are enthusiastic eaters. After eating this food and vomiting 5 times in one day, my cat became withdrawn and lethargic. I then FINALLY thought to question the food brand itself, which I had trusted because it was vet recommended, expensive and supposedly high quality. As soon as I changed to a different brand of food, the vomiting stopped. After reading several similar stories here, I am concerned that there may be a production issue or recent additive that is causing this reaction in several pets. Our beloved animals are vulnerable, dependent on us, and unable to tell us what is wrong. I will not be feeding them this product again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Just like the others had posted I had switched my dog to this food as a vet recommendation. Previously he had Orijen and Purina One with no issues. After a few weeks he started refusing the food. And then he started vomiting right after eating. Then he passed out in the yard after the last occurrence. Took him to the vet to have him evaluated. He's a 10 month old puppy who has always been healthy. He had swollen GI, high blood pressure, and as soon as we switched him to vet prescription food he started eating again. I thought it was a bad bag at first and opened the second bag I got for him, but the same thing started occurring. Thank you all who also posted the same experiences. This stuff is poison!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Thanks to everyone who recently posted their experience with Royal Canin dog food. I had opened a new bag of Royal Canin Large Breed puppy food for our Golden Doodle last week and we had a very similar experience to what I have read so far. Diarrhea multiple times a day including in the house even though she is house trained, vomiting and less energy. What sold it for me was all of the sudden she would not eat her food right away, when normally she would gobble it down as soon as I poured the food in her bowl. Long story short, I am looking for a new brand of dog food, and will not be buying Royal Canin again. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to post, as you definitely saved me what I am sure would have been many expensive Vet bills!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I am so glad that I came across this page and was able to read all of the reviews allowing me to put two and two together. My dachshunds have been eating RC for many years without incident. However have been sick for the last few weeks regurgitating after eating and upset stomachs which I have now narrowed down the timeline to when I started feeding from the latest bag. Lots of rands spent on vet bills and simply changing the food has solved the problem. No more sick dogs.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Bought a new bag of Royal Canin Urinary SO that my dog has been on for years. We didn't mix in the old with the new since it was the same brand/formula. Severe diarrhea started after a day and stopped when we fed him chicken and rice for 2 days and started again when we tried it again. When I went on-line to see if there was a recall I found all these other posts about diarrhea.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Hi, I have purchase Royal Canin Giant Puppy feed for my Neapolitan Mastiff. After 2 days of this feed, he started to have diarrhea. We didn't know the reason initially but in the noon, when I noticed worms in the package. I was shocked because this never happened earlier but there were too many worms inside this. I trusted this brand and wrote them emails but every mail bounced back due to incorrect id provided, and they are not even answering calls. PS: I had to rush to my vet and give our little pup deworming and syrups to get him to be normal. In a single day he had 5 watery motions and 3 times vomitings.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

My dogs have been on Royal Canin from the beginning. 6 yrs and 1.5 yrs for the other. My daughter has a chihuahua also and it has been sick vomiting and diarrhea since the “ingredient change recently”. The vet has her stop the food and she has gotten better practically overnight. Well, I just opened a bag of the new stuff two days ago and my one started throwing up and the younger one had vomiting and diarrhea so bad it cost me 680$ in a vet bill. I WILL NEVER TRUST THIS COMPANY AGAIN! Please DO NOT FEED YOUR FUR BABIES THIS FOOD! I contacted PetSmart where I purchased the food and informed them I will be returning for a refund and explained what happened in hopes it will be shared.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We opened up a new bag of dog food and our puppy started getting sick. Our puppy has had severe diarrhea for the last four days. We would give her rice and then she was fine and every time we put her back on the food diarrhea again. We call R.C. and they said the changed the formula -- fiber went down and calcium phosphorus and glucosamine went up -- they deemed them minor changes and they did not need to notify owners. It is completely unacceptable not to communicate these changes to the buyers. After a few nights of being up with the dog and a hefty vet bill we are angry and hope this does not happen to another animal. Thanks to our vet for asking if the formula had changed and others posting on this site we figured out the problem. We will not be using this company.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We recently started incorporating this food into our cat's diet to try to get him off hairball control treats that seemed to make him gain weight. We slowly noticed a change in his behavior (withdrawn, low energy), then he was not eating very well, and for the first time, vomited after eating. Our cat is a big, healthy male that loves to eat so this was not normal for him. After reading these reviews, I associated the time of his progressive deterioration with the timeframe of adding this food into his diet. I am going to immediately stop feeding it to him! He also developed a UTI while on this food. Might be a coincidence, or maybe not.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Last Saturday, we stopped feeding our 15 year old Bichon Royal Canin for dogs with intestinal sensitivity. The diarrhea stopped. She is interested in food again. (She is now eating Science Diet for dogs with food sensitivities.) She has an appetite and she is absolutely putting on weight again. She has spunk again and we have our little pup back. Please read these reviews. Please listen to your intuition. We will NEVER feed our fluff baby any products made by Royal Canin ever again. It almost killed her.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Our puppy has been on this since we first got him and we bought a new bag with new branding in August and he's had severe diarrhea off and on since. Nothing was working except briefly while he was on antibiotics. Since the new bag he also hasn't seemed very interested in eating. We took him off the food and we have seen a drastic return to health in under eighteen hours! I'm wondering if something was off with the food or there are some new ingredients in it since the rebranding but we won't be putting him back on it. That's for sure!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Doctors kept pushing us to feed our cats this "scientifically proven" diet. Our doctors advised us to feed our cats this instead of ACTUAL natural foods (eg meat). According to doctors, cats should eat this instead of following the law of mother nature. Diarrhea and vomiting nonstop, our cats have shown an AWFUL reaction to ROYAL CANIN. We had to throw away several expensive rugs because our cats vomited all over it. Please do not feed your pets this food!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I will NEVER feed my dog this again. I was told by a vet it was very good food but it seems they changed the ingredients recently. I wrote to them and ask and they said yes, they had made minor changes. Except it's not minor when sooo many dogs are becoming sick. My puppy began vomiting and had diarrhea. It cost me 86.00 euro to have a vet take a stool sample and run some test. Only to find it was bad reaction to food. The only difference in Puppy's routine was the NEW Royal food. I'm fuming, it was horrific to watch my poor Declan in so much discomfort. Never will I buy this again. If it's not broke, don't fix it. If it works don't change it. Why they did this change is beyond reason.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I was introduced to RC a year ago by my vet. My 2 cats had been eating Wellness wet cat food for 4 years. In 2017 my old lady cat (18 years) was getting multiple UTI's and I had spent tons of money at the vet to get her better, but she became severely dehydrated and ill. We ended up having to put her to sleep in June 2017. We never switched food brands because we thought she was just old and it was her time. She also had a thyroid problem. We bought a new addition to our family in July 2017. We were still using the Wellness brand wet cat food. Only to later find out my 7 year old male was having complications with urinating. I took him to the vet right away, he had a UTI and was severely constipated.

Vet gave meds and prescribed some lactulose to help with the stools. I Ended up switching his food to RC UTI wet cat food which was recommended by my vet. His UTI went away and our new kitten (only 6 month old) got a UTI. That cost me lots of money again. 3 cats in one year all got UTI's from Wellness wet cat food. So I switched to Royal Canin (RC) and both cats were fine up until this August. We purchased RC intense Beauty and High fiber in July 2018 and both cats have diarrhea and won't stop vomiting. This has been going on for a week. I'm so upset with these so called best brand cat foods making my cats ill. With the price we pay for the "quality" they say they put into the food this should not happen. RC just lost a loyal customer. Now I have to start my search over for another cat food for my babies.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My two cats have been on this for 2 years now without problem. Something has happened. The latest shipment in August had them both sick vomiting about an hour plus after, then diarrhea - a system purge. Curls up in a ball like a tummy ache. One cat recovered in 24 hrs. He is heavy and hearty. My other baby 2+ days. I ran him to the hospital after he was teary eyed and drooling profusely for hours as though he had been poisoned. I am devastated. I spend $200 a month for RC prescription food to do right by my cat who had a urinary blockage and RC's quality control has failed us. I am calling them this morning and returning all the cases I have to Chewy. I won't tell you what the vet bill was to rule out all the various cat diseases and issues - all negative and I've no houseplants etc. I've gone through the whole list. Two cats within one week - sounds like a case of food.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Recent formula changes are making cats and dogs sick. My vet bill was $638 and my cat is now fighting for her health. Switch foods NOW. Dear Royal Canin: I’ve been feeding my cat “Intense Beauty” for 6 years, this summer, 2018 my cats began getting sick. I trusted your brand... SHAME ON YOU!! Please help spread the news if you’re a pet owner!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Bought this food about 1 year ago as recommended by my vet for my 3 dachshunds. Ever since they have been on this food they randomly vomit or have upset stomachs. My female had vomiting, acid reflux issues and weakened immune system, had to be on probiotics on and off for months. My male dachshund had such dry flaky skin, weakened immune system (with probiotics as well) and extreme thirst and vomiting. My youngest 1 year old male has only been sick while on this food. I had them on 2 different foods before I switched to Royal Canin and they never had any of these issues.

I've thrown away 2 bags of this food per the vets recommendation, only to be told to buy another "Fresh" bag, and to clean the dogs food bowls. I do fully believe their issues are related to switching to this food and I have since taken them off of it as I cannot keep having them suffer because the vet "says" it's the best food. After doing some research and talking to people I now see that this food is not as good as "vets" say it is, and a lot of vets are sponsored by Royal Canin and Science Diet so they are required to recommend these foods. This may not be the case for some of you, for me it appears to be so. Luckily I do not think any real damage to my animals was done other than a lot of money wasted on vet visits due to this food.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My cat has been on this food for 2 years. I had a new batch of food and she started diarrhea with blood in it. She turns her head away from this food. She has had all the tests including a scan and nothing seems wrong. I kept her on a bland diet and she recovered gave her the R/C and it's started all over again. Maybe the content has changed. I have looked at the FDA and it seems they had a problem before. The customer support department have all the info including packet numbers but so far nothing. I am convinced this is the food she will not look at it so I have to find a new food. This has been going on for 4 weeks and even the vet can find no medical reason.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Since this dog food has been highly recommended because it is suppose to be specially formulated for a specific breed, I decided to give it a try because I was looking for the very best nutrition for my English bulldog since they are a very delicate breed. When I fed this to my dog he became very ill and had EXCESSIVE diarrhea. This went on for several days with no let up and there was concern he would become seriously dehydrated. I stopped feeding him the Canin and the symptoms went away. Also, after reading the ingredients in this dog food I don't understand why it is so highly rated! I would not recommend this.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Royal Canin Feline Cat food made my cats vomit 2X/Day for 2 wks! Earlier in 2018 I noticed the bags of Royal Canin Urinary SO were not vacuum packed. I called my vet, who assured me they were just fine. I fed it to my cats, and noticed they stopped eating it about halfway through the bag. I purchased a smaller bag, but again found they just stopped eating it after a few weeks. Long story short, my vet advised me to contact Royal Canin directly, who assured me that even though their bags of cat food are not vacuum sealed, that they ARE nitrogen flushed. Well, that means nothing to me, because the air we breath is mostly nitrogen anyway, and I think they are just denying liability. The bottom line, is that the DAY I stopped feeding them Royal Canin, they started eating again, stopped throwing up, and I am going to share this with everyone I know, in hopes that it will save your pet's life. Please do the same.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Diabetic Royal Canin product - First feeding of dry and wet food for our diabetic dog, vomited everywhere. This product sucks. Will consult vet for anything but this product. Followed exact veterinarian instructions. Happened on weekend, back to usual product.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We opened a new case of Glycobalance canned cat food. After my cats ate it, they began vomiting. There is no way it is caused by anything else. This is esp. dangerous for one of my cats because he is a bad insulin dependent diabetic cat! What happened to their food???

Original review: June 30, 2018

I have been feeding my cats for 5 years on your Royal Canin food - they love it and never had any problems with it. Opened a new bag of food the other day and all if a sudden ALL 4 of my cats have gotten violently ill at the same time!!! Throwing up and vomiting and flatulence worse than a grown man!!!! They were so sick they couldn’t even eat after a day on this food!! Went to my vet this morning she said all of her cats and other cat patients have been getting just as sick on Royal Canin cat food!!! She called and spoke with you people about your food and you confirmed the formulas were changed!!

My vet said as soon as her cats and her patients' cats stopped eating Royal Canin the vomiting, diarrhea and gas all stopped immediately... How can you live with yourselves for not notifying customers of your changed formulas? The fear this has caused pet owners is horrible!!! The terribly reaction the animals have had on the food is awful!!! Within 24 hour of eating from the brand new bag of food I had 4 very very sick cats running to emergency room!! What is wrong with you all??!! Why would you change formulas - I am returning all the food. Won't EVER buy it again and will be telling EVERYONE about this!!!! Negative 5 Rating!!! Is my real rating but this panel requires a 1-5 so I had to put a 1 star.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Our Maine Coon cat gets the dry Royal Canin Maine Coon cat food. She loves to eat the large crunchy pieces. The downside is that it's expensive but she's worth it! It also keeps her beautiful coat shiny and smooth.

Original review: June 23, 2018

They have this pet food in both nonprescription and prescription for both cats and dogs. The nonprescription Royal Canin food has a variety of flavors especially with the wet food but the prescription food unfortunately does not but it is still amazing. I have a picky eater and he absolutely loves this food. It is so worth the try. I have met others whose pets also loved the food.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have been advised by my vet to put my three cats on SATIETY Royal Canin dry food. As I have been feeding them Hill's young adult dry food for some years thinking that I was doing the right thing, I was devastated to find out about firstly, dry food is not the best food for cats rather wet food is by far better for them... I have tried out several types but can't seem to find one that they all like. I've tried out different types of dry food too just to give them a little along with the wet, but as I haven't been able to find a good wet food they're mostly getting the dry until I do. Only thing is the ones I've gotten, they either all or one of them don't like, or they throw up.

Also doing research, and reading reviews on the do's and don'ts of feeding cats has left me feeling terrible that I haven't been feeding my cats properly even though my vet had advised me to feed them the hill's young adult dry food. Now I'm reading about Royal Canin reviews, but I haven't seen any mention of the SATIETY Royal Canin dry food reviews. So I don't know whether to avoid Royal Canin altogether. Any advice will be welcome.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have been feeding my 11 year old blue point Siamese RC Siamese hard food for approximately 5 months (due to vomiting issues). For the past 6 weeks it appears that her body is emitting a foul odor. I took her off of it and put her back on Fancy Feast hard food. The smell went away, but she began vomiting again. Back on RC and the smell is back. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? She is a very healthy cat, no health issues. Her behavior is the same. I have an appointment for a check up. It just seems very odd.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information