2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (253 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Royal Canin Pet Foods

Royal Canin sells breed and life stage tailored nutritional dog and cat food products in veterinary clinics and retail stores throughout the United States. The company has more than 200 formulas on the market, which lets owners find dry and wet pet food for a variety of dog and cat breeds and sizes.

Pros

• Real ingredients
  • Money-back policy
  • Vast selection

Cons

• Some formulas pricey
  • Grain-free not available

Bottom Line

Royal Canin is a pet food line for healthy dogs and cats as well as those with specific health issues. The company has a wide range of products, but the food may not be suitable for pets with grain allergies.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I have a 12 week old puppy. I started her on RC puppy wet food in the tub. She seemed to tolerate it well. I couldn't find anymore anywhere. RC has that Amazon and Chewy, as well as a local store have it. Amazon wouldn't have it for 2 months. Chewy has nothing, local store doesn't even sell RC, nowhere else carries it. The RC website is wrong! They say it's available all over. It's not available! They advertise it and it comes up with Puppy Stimulant wet gel gook food in a can.

I have 50 cans of RN puppy appetite stimulation, thinking I was getting the tub. She now has Giardia, not sure if it came from the breeder, since she has not been outside walking yet. She only is in the apartment. I have no other dogs. Her stool is too soft from this mush gel and today she vomited a little with loose stool. Had diarrhea once. She is on ** and probiotics. This stuff is bad, really bad. Will be changing it after reading these reviews. I can't lose my little girl and/or have chronic Giardia.

She also started eating her stool after starting this can of junk, which she did not do before. She's always hungry, except for today, she has a tummy ache. Have the dry Puppy RC food also. Just bought another bag, ugh. I don't care about the money, I will change it slowly. I refuse to use this company who cannot answer emails and advertise their dog foods with falsehoods. Thank you for all the reviews notifying how bad this product and company who doesn't answer calls or cuts you off of their Facebook page when you ask them why they are not knowledgeable about what's going on. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

My vet recommended RC for my Standard Poodle Puppy. He has now been diagnosed with possibly a lifelong disease called Giardia, extreme gastro-intestinal issues, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. The scary part is my vet said it does not even show up on the actual test Vets perform which is how he missed it the first time, but after reviewing the scans more closely he quickly realized my little Prince has extreme Giardia to the point my poor little 5 month old pup may have it for a lifetime. I will not feed him another kibble of this toxic food and recommend you do the same! Royal Canine this is criminal!!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Bought Royal Canin cat food for my cats as my vet told us it was the best and really pushed it on us. We have tried the kitten formula the adult formula and the sensitive digestion.. My 1 year old cat vomits everyday after eating and my 5 year old is pooping blood because she's constipated or gets diarrhea. I give them 1/4 cup each twice a day as recommended and after the sensitive digestion food didn't seem to be helping I'm gonna stop giving them this crap as their health and quality of life seems to be declining. I'd recommend Not buying this crap as it could result in pain or death in your beloved animals. Spend 30 instead of 15 if you truly love them.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

The following is my personal opinion. I purchased Royal Canin dog food for my Rottweiler puppy because of some recommendations that I saw online, after one day of feeding my puppy this food he began throwing up and being very lethargic, I looked online and found reviews of people whose dogs have had the same and more symptoms and even a puppy that died due to this food.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I recently had to start my dog on a prescription dog food for kidney stones. My vet recommended Canin SO food. My little girl has never had GI problems at all, eats twice a day, poops regularly twice a day, different foods in the past. 2 days into starting this new food... she hasn’t pooped at all, she’s vomited multiple times. Finally day 3 she poops, all diarrhea. So I stick it out thinking her system just needs to adjust, no. This continues to just get worse and worse. I do some research online and find this site. I wish I would have seen the reviews on here sooner!

Original review: July 24, 2020

This new formula has made my dog very sick. He has been vomiting and I was told his bladder stones never broke down and now his kidneys are affected. I will do everything in my power to save someone’s dog. But this new formula is very bad. Once I switched his food the vomiting has ceased.

Original review: July 17, 2020

Our 16 year old cat eats both wet and dry Royal Canin 12+ indoor and comes running when I open the can because he knows it's time to eat. He started only eating dry Royal Canin when we rescued him in May 2018 but now has become picky and needs wet food, too.

Original review: July 13, 2020

After trying several different brands that would satisfy my 4 fussy ladies, decided on Indoor formula dry food. This helps them maintain their weight while satisfying their taste buds. They’ve never turned up their noses. The dry formula also helps maintain the tartar control on their teeth.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Please read and act on it. It's NOT your imagination your pet is ill from the NEW FORMULA! My baby did great for over three years on Royal Canin food and but now has been on the NEW formula for 9 months and has been ill ever since. Vomiting, lethargic, tummy pains, more bouts of stool, etc. I suspected the food right away but my former vet said that's not possible. She was COMPLETELY checked out by a regular and a internal vet, and nothing was wrong with her. It is the food!! Please please pick up your phone and file a complaint with royal canin and do follow ups! Or message them via their Facebook page to have it in writing. To me they said they are looking into what is causing the problem. There are many many more complaints all over facebook, not only on this website. After hundreds of phone calls I finally managed to buy an OLD bag of food and my baby is no longer ill! Our furbabies don't lie!

Original review: July 2, 2020

Royal Canin Selected Protein Adult PR Pea & Rabbit dry cat food is for my medium hair brown tabby 13 year old indoor cat with stomach issues. She has a hard time keeping her food down, so we tried the Pea & Rabbit version and she loves and wet food as well. She only sick if she eats too fast or overseas. 9-Lives dry cat food is for my vagrant outdoor cats which have been spayed & neutered belonging to our neighborhood in South Tampa. They are not picky eaters, just happy to get water, food, treats, place to stay, and of course love. The 9-Lives is a great bang for your buck. The cats like it and my wallet likes it too.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information