2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (773 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: June 27, 2018

I changed his cat food thinking he'd like fish taste and he did for awhile till he started barfing it up. I immediately switched back to the regular food that's made for Indoor cats (Purina Cat Chow Indoor). Fish makes his tummy hurt.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Waggin' Train chicken jerky tenders - I’ve been giving our German Shepherd these treats for twenty days. Two days ago she stopped eating And last night severe diarrhea and vomiting came on! Her liver enzymes and white blood cell count were high! Thank gosh I saw the reviews! On a ton of meds. Poor baby. The treats are poison! Four hundred and thirteen dollars later! I’m so disgusted that this treat is on the market after numerous complaints have been lodged!

Original review: June 26, 2018

Purina Fancy Feast doesn't offer a lot of dinners to choose from. I pick the kind with the gravy mixes as I don't care for the pate mixes. I have had my cat try the food.

Original review: June 25, 2018

My cats ate it back in 2007, they all began vomiting, so sick. I didn't know what was wrong. Took them to the vet, they weren't sure, Blackkitty died, the rest sick. Masie lost a lot of teeth from vomiting bile. I was telling my cousin about it, her cats were doing the same thing, I began to research it and found similar complaints and stopped the food. Within a day my cats were eating. NO vomiting. I screwed up and accidentally bought Mornings by Purina, my cat MOUTH died 3 days after eating it. Purina is made in the Global Marketplace which when pinned down on the phone, the lady admitted China. God knows what is in that food. I have seen pictures of plastic, worms, mold, bits of unknown materials, you name it. I will never feed my cats Purina again, it's written on their charts at the vets. NEVER feed that to them if they are there.

Original review: June 24, 2018

My cats enjoy the Purina Fancy Feast Medley and the Gravy Lovers varieties! It's their favorite and when I switch up and give them something different they get mad at me!

Original review: June 23, 2018

Although Fancy Feast has a lot of variety, my cat is finicky and only likes the pate. It could be that she's aging and it's easier for her to eat. She also only prefers seafood over more traditional varieties like chicken, turkey and beef.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Gentle formula for my older kitty and Purina Indoor for my second kitty. My kitties enjoy the variety of flavors. Mostly they prefer the pate flavors/consistency. They also eat Purina cereals.

Original review: June 17, 2018

My 15 yr & 5 yr old cats have been eating Fancy Feast wet & dry food all their lives and have both gotten violently ill recently after eating it. Changed brands & no more throwing up but am having a hard time find a replacement they like.

Original review: June 15, 2018

When I got a kitten almost two years ago, my Mom told me she always used Fancy Feast so as my kitten's wet food I got Fancy Feast. My cat would vomit all the non fish flavors and with the fish flavors he will eat the first half but will not eat the rest of the can a few hours later. I have given it cold out of the fridge, room temp and it doesn’t matter. He refuses to eat it. FF must have changed the formula as this never happened before. I am growing increasing afraid to feed this once reliable brand.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have had my 15 yr old cat on Purina Fancy Feast for years, and he loves it. He loves the pate...he has a sensitive digestive problem so the pate is great for him and he has no troubles.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My cat has always ate a variety Fancy Feast canned flavors. These days he prefers tuna and shrimp, tuna, and trout flaked only. He never cared for dry food.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have a cat that has some health issues and lost almost all her fur at one point. We spent hundreds of dollars at the vet and specialty foods to try to help her. After trying Purina Naturals indoor formula - blue label, with chicken & turkey - my cat miraculously healed! This food was not the most expensive nor the least, but did the trick. Only the blue label indoor formula worked for my cat. I'm grateful for this product - especially after trying many expensive organic brands and science diet - nothing worked, but the Purina Naturals indoor formula - blue label. If anyone else is having allergy issues with their cat and if it's losing fur along with having rashes - I recommend giving Purina Naturals indoor formula a try. It worked for us!

Original review: June 9, 2018

We have ten cats and feed them all grain free cat food. I bought my first bag of Purina because I liked the name True Instinct. All ten of our cats vomited all night, and some the next morning as well. But our beloved Captain Hook vomited blood and died the very next morning. We have kept the almost full bag in our refrigerator waiting to get it tested... But how and where do we go? We live in Rock Island County, the state of Illinois. We miss Captain Hook dearly!

Original review: May 28, 2018

Purina One Sensitive Systems - If I could give it 0 stars I would. I had been feeding my poor cat Purina for years and over the past couple of months she started vomiting every single day on my carpet. That’s not fun to clean up and it leaves stains. It costs money to get those stains out Purina! Thanks a lot! I thought that maybe she was eating too fast so I tried a puzzle bowl, giving her small portions throughout the day and also tried spreading her food out on a large mat. None of that worked. Then I thought that maybe she wasn’t chewing it well enough so I tried the canned version, she still threw up and ended up with diarrhea too. Then I tried just wetting her dry food a little just to make it softer and she still threw it up. Nothing helped.

So I ended coming across these reviews about other people having the same issues with their poor kitties so I decided to change her food. She hasn’t thrown up once in the past two weeks since I changed brands. My dogs have been ok on Purina but I won’t be taking my chances so I’ll be finding another brand for them too. Purina, you really need to fix whatever is going on with your food. There’s obviously something very wrong.

Original review: May 14, 2018

For years been feeding my cat Purina One food and now he developed diabetes. Avoid this food at all costs. My cats threw up all the time and I thought was from eating too fast, but the real cause was this poorly made food. It is horrible to poke your cat with insulin twice a day and costing us thousands of dollars now to keep him alive. Don't buy this awful food, feed your pets grain free foods from other brands.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My dog is a rescue so I had little way of knowing her eating habits. I tried the shelter dog food brand and she just wasn't happy with it. Loose bowel movements all the time. I switched to Purina and what a change. She perked up, became much stronger, put some weight on. She looks forward to feeding time. She seems so much happier now and more content.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My cat Macy started having issues several months ago, she had stopped eating and started losing weight. Vomiting more often than the occasional hairball, she also appeared to lose her balance and "spark". We have always fed our cats Purina Beyond Chicken and Oats because I thought she might have a food allergy to rice, and Friskies wet food without an issue for years. We took her to the Vet Feb. 8 2018 thinking the worst. They took X-rays and blood (thyroid, cancer, feline leukemia, AIDS), but they found nothing wrong. They gave her something to stimulate her appetite and high pro food from the Vet, we thought problem solved.

I noticed both of our cats would not eat their food anymore, and started to research. That led me to this website. Macy is still having major issues and is not in good health, she is much older than Jo-Jo (our other cat that lost fur in clumps at the same time), and I am afraid for her life. I have saved samples of her vomit (at times projectile) and the food we bought to have analyzed at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, Ca. where we live. I will share my findings.

I am very sorry for anyone who has lost their pet because of this. Something is very wrong with Purina pet food, we switched to Rachel Ray dry and are trying out various wet food from Pet Co. Appetite better, but Macy is still not the same. We also use to feed them Purina Denti-life treats, they stopped eating those around the same time. Have samples of all to be investigated.

Updated on 06/20/2018: Has anyone else had an issue of a possible parasitic infestation in them also? I believe this is a case of "Animal Digest" gone wrong. Also, our house has become infested with "insects I have never before. Purina has started a claim for me and has wanted to close it as fast as possible. I believe this to be connected to not only Purina, but all or most of all Nestle' products. Almost ate a bug in Lean Cusine.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Open both bags of Purina One Tender Selects Chicken and Salmon and found moths and cobwebs inside bags. We had been seeing several of these moths around the house but more in the cat room where these bags were stored until we opened them. They seem to be more active after it gets dark in the house. Now that we have taken these bags out of the house. Moth problem subsiding. We have been feeding this product for about a year to our 5 cats. Never seen this problem before now. Very disappointed in Purina One brand. Will stop buying this food and switch to other brands.

Original review: May 5, 2018

My dogs like Purina One. It is 1/2 price or less than Blue Buffalo. No digestive issues, in or out. Supplement with Pedigree canned. Still cheaper! I believe all the fruits in Blue Buffalo are unnecessary. I realize these products are meant to appeal to the buyer, yet my dogs do not eat fruit. I know this and ask what do coyote and feral dogs eat? It is not vegetable stew with chicken or venison's a possibility. It doesn't need to be colored or adorably shaped.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My cat is fed Iams dry cat food and every evening gets a half can of Fancy Feast-pate, gravy, all flavors except fish, which she hates. All of a sudden, she is throwing up and has diarrhea (new carpeting- thanks, Purina) every night. We stop the wet food and she is just fine again. Then we find out the ingredients have changed markedly. Purina is poisoning our cats and is not being held accountable. I believe consumers deserve to know what ingredients changed and why the consumer was not notified. No transparency. Will never use a Purina product again.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We have been feeding Purina Focus to our dog for four years. It was recommended by our daughter who is a veterinarian. Our lab mix does very well on this food. He is very active and is at his recommended weight. He eats it twice daily finishing every drop.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My dogs are a Golden Retriever/Lab mix. The Pro Plan Salmon for sensitive skin and stomach is the food they eat the best. I tried chicken and turkey but they seem to be allergic to foul. I won't buy Regular Purina due to the heavy corn which isn't digestible.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I purchases a bag of Purina Naturals food for my cats. I'm a vet tech and I variety feed my cats. This is nothing new and they NEVER have a problem. Within hours of putting this food out for them one of my 13 cats started vomiting. Over the next several hours and day, I had at least 10, yes, TEN vomiting, lethargic cats on my hands! This was Monday, today is Friday. Some of them are still vomiting and not eating. I've had to give injections along with subcutaneous fluids daily. I've never seen anything like it. Something is very wrong. I've seen other reviews from my area stating similar experiences. Everyone beware of this food. I would say stay away from Purina period until they address the complaints. PURINA, WHAT'S GOING ON??

Original review: April 28, 2018

My dogs were fed Purina One their entire lives. Always sick and all died prematurely. Got educated on dog foods. Immediately switched to a higher quality food. No further problems.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Purina One Large Breed Puppy Food is good quality, chicken -yes, no grain, no meat; price is good when compared to more trendy or upscale kibble. Purina has been around for a long time and with good reason.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Any pet owners with cats with a sudden onset of DIARRHEA, please have them checked for Tritrichomonas which will require treatment with **. This is the second time since 2015, our small rescue of 2 dozen cats, has been faced with this dilemma. We feed Poultry Platter and Turkey Giblets pates and 6 of our 24 cats have already been confirmed and contaminated with this dreadful bacteria. I contacted Purina the last time in Sept 2015 and again, and am losing my patience with their lack of prompt action. The PCR panels and treatment cost us in excess of $200 per cat to diagnose, treat, and retest. If your cat has SUDDENLY starting having vial stools, PLEASE, have your vet check for this bacteria directly, it is caused by a livestock contamination and is not eradicated during the manufacturing process. We cannot be the only ones out there, experiencing this.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My 4-5 y/o cat has been eating Purina One Hairball Formula for the 3yrs she's been with me. She abruptly stopped eating, was very lethargic and starting losing weight (unsure of vomiting/diarrhea as she's an indoor/outdoor cat). One week, $500 and two trips the vet later with fluids, meds, xrays and blood work, we still couldn't figure out why my otherwise healthy, non-finicky cat wouldn't eat. She was turning down her regular food and every kind of enticing people food I could think of (crabmeat, sardines, tuna, chicken, ground beef). I was preparing to hospitalize her for IV food and fluids when she approached her food bowl and growled and huffed at it, which she's never done before. In fact, she's never turned down ANY food before. As a last resort before hospitalizing, I switched brands. She ate immediately and did a full 180 in 24hrs, eating & drinking on schedule again, lethargy was gone, started gaining weight, etc.

Having read the reviews here of countless other stories similar to mine, I saved the Purina food, contacted them and offered to mail a sample for testing. They declined, saying they were sorry to hear she was sick, but they were certain it wasn't their food because they hadn't changed their formula. I encouraged them to reconsider, sending a link to these reviews as evidence that my situation was far from unique, pleading that they do testing to ensure other pets and owners don't have to go through this unnecessary stress and discomfort. They again declined but said they would mail a reimbursement check for $8.49, the cost of the bag, as if I cared about that. Very disappointed in their inaction and complete lack of corporate responsibility. Will obviously never use their products again.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My dogs don't want to eat the Purina Pro Plan Savor Lamb & Rice. They don't seem like they are getting full. They are hungry all the time. Help don't know what to do. I have tried other dog food but don't seems like they like any of it... What can you do???

Original review: April 25, 2018

I took my dog to the vet tonight and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with her and then I figured out it was her food! I just bought a brand new bag of Purina Pro Plan adult breed chicken and I went to feed her dinner and she only ate half of it. My dog NEVER declines food. This morning she had no desire to eat it but eventually did and had very bad diarrhea this morning and later today she began vomiting! A large piece of her stomach filled with blood came up with the food so I rushed her to the vet. I’ve been feeding her this brand for over a year. She just had surgery from uncontrollable vomiting in January and now another vet bill from the food! Is Purina doing anything about this!?!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I'm very satisfied with Purina Puppy Chicken and Rice and my puppy continues to eat it every day... My vet says he is very healthy and he is growing like a week. Going on 5 months no digestion problems, no diarrhea or vomiting.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information