2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.68/5

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Though our golden retriever has been eating this food for 3 months he recently became ill. Vomiting and diarrhea and stopped eating this food. Lab and stool samples were unremarkable. Gave him boiled chicken and rice for one week plus anti- nausea med. It is very unusual for him to not like any food but he would not eat that food even after he was feeling better. Was willing to eat three other brands of food but will not touch the Pro Plan. I am very suspicious of the food and would alert anyone with food of the same batch. I too spent 500$ at vet, lost two bags of that food already purchased. Be aware!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I have been purchasing Purina Pro Plan dog food for some time now. I have been satisfied with the quality of dog food, and the health of my dogs. My family breeds Australian Shepherds so their health is a priority to us. We as breeders have gone around the block with dog food to find the optimal choice for our dogs. With that being said we purchase a large quantity so quality is always a concern of where our money is going.

Recently I purchased Purina Pro Plan Sport dog food #0-38100-17271. This bag was specifically purchased from Tractor Supply in Junction City, Oregon. After purchasing this bag my dogs slowly started to decrease their intake given. Which is very abnormal for some of our dogs. Over the course of this week. They completely stopped eating the food, and my one female began to throw up the food. I just figured it was a typical pregnant dog and was a little concerned. This particular female is one of our top dogs. If she were to get in a state of illness while carrying we would be at risk of losing puppies. After that incident a younger male that we have threw up the food, and became very lethargic. He stopped eating, and drinking over the course of last night, and this morning. He became dehydrated, and has a huge loss of energy. We now have multiple dogs that will not touch their food, and becoming very lethargic.

With the young dog getting so sick I had no other choice than to take him to the vet. All of his blood work came back normal, and was not linked to the Parvo Virus. The veterinarian just believes that he had gotten extremely sick from something, and to start him on antibiotics. The only thing that I can link my dogs to is the bag of Purina Pro Plan. They are not exposed to out side animals, and are very closely monitored.

I had to start cooking chicken, and rice to get them to eat. They will not touch the food from #0-38100-17271. I had not even used a quarter of the bag before these incidents. I have to throw out the entire bag since my dogs will not eat it. This ordeal also costed me a $266.65 vet bill. Exam-$62.00. Chem Panel C-1$07.00. Subcutaneous fluids 200 ml-$24.25. Cerenia 60mg tabs-4ct-$45.35. Clav/Amoxi Tab 250mg-$28.05. These dogs are quality animals, and we like to ensure that the health of our stock is our top priority. This happening to our program is unacceptable. We will never purchase a single thing from Purina ever again.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Just purchased a bag of dog food..after feeding our dog we noticed maggots climbing out from dog. We were trying out a new brand. We basically just purchased the bag...not happy knowing our beloved pet ate it.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I have two cats that eat dry food every day and on occasion I feed them Friskies shredded canned cat food as a treat. My cats are six years old brothers and I’ve been feeding them Purina Friskies since I got them as kittens. When I fed them a can of Friskies 2 weeks ago, I knew there was something wrong. They weren’t overly excited about the food, but they ate it. The next day I noticed they hadn’t been drinking much or eating their dry food. They were throwing up and two days later I had to take them to the vet. They were not eating or drinking.

I looked on the Internet to see if there was any reports of a recall. I then noticed other people talking about bad Friskies canned food and certain batch numbers. I checked the Batch number on the can of food I had given the cats and to my horror, it ended in 1159. I also checked the other cans I had purchased and they all ended in 1159. The vet treated them for a gastrointestinal issue. My one cat finally recovered after 5 days and his brother was about 8 days, although he is not quite 100%. Needless to say I won’t be giving them any more Friskies canned food. I contacted Karina and they told me there was nothing wrong with the food, but I definitely disagree. Why are other people complaining about this Batch number??!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Large bags Purina Beyond Simply dog foods are NOT HEAT SEALED by Purina. Had been feeding my dog the small bags of Purina Beyond Simply lamb mixed with canned Purina grain-free chicken lamb spinach for years. All of a sudden she became violently ill, throwing up and nonstop diarrhea. This was a healthy dog. Regular vet visits etc. Though maybe it was a virus. Cooked home chicken "stew" and dog started getting better. Had ordered large bags from Amazon and then from Chewy. Opened a new large bag and added some of it and two spoons of canned as was eating before. Dog got really sick all over again. It has basically taken a month antibiotic and prescp probiotics to try to stop the vomiting and diarrhea.

I realized these bags of Beyond Simply food are Not Heat Sealed on bottom but rolled and taped by PURINA... is the food going rancid? Purina acknowledged the practice. So threw out hundreds of dollars worth of this Simply Beyond lamb food 6 large bag, new and not expired and about 20 cans as referenced above. Strangely that food had become unavailable in our Extended area? Purina store did not even sell that one. Odd, or did Purina know there was a problem? Purina sent coupons for the same canned foods. How nice...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I started feeding my cat Purina Friskies 5 years ago after my vet exhausted all other options, stating it was better for her to eat something she liked than not eat at all. I'm not sure the outcome was any different. She started exhibiting signs of allergy (salmon pate) after 2 years, so I was told to switch to the chicken pate. She tolerated that for

We treated her with ** for 2 months, to which she responded well, until she started exhibiting signs of renal failure (acute blindness, loss of back legs, stopped eating, screaming out in pain if you touched her abdomen). She was dead within 5 days. No account of kidney damage had been mentioned on any of her lab work leading up to this final episode. I had to make the ultimate decision to end her suffering, as the vet stated that nothing could be done. He directly blamed Purina Friskies, stating that it was harmful to cats and should have never been recommended in the first place. Who is at fault? Surely it is Purina, whose countless lawsuits demonstrate that their food should not be sold to consumers. My precious daughter lost her life because of this company. Gone too soon, Anais 2003-2019.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

My cats loved Purina Friskies and ate for a while, came across the sensation jellies sachets. Gave my cats the beef and tomato sensations sachets, only one cat decided to eat as the other 2 refused. Within a 30 minute period (all cats were playful and hyperactive before feeding) my feline friend was lethargic, vomiting, had diarrhea and serious trouble breathing. Rushes her to the vet where she was taken to the feline ICU. The vet said to remove any and all food that I had given that morning.

When I returned home, I did just that and fed the other 2 cats Whiskas. Had no issues. I contacted Purina immediately to which they stated "that couldn't happen with our food". The first and last time that type of flavour/type was used. No previous incidents like this had ever occurred with my cats. Purina asked for the boxes and packets back and full refund. Still hasn't happened.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I have bought 3 large bags of Pro Plan over the last few months at $50+ a bag. Each bag had moths that after a few days were all inside the container. Each time this happened I gave them another chance and each time moths again. I have just bought another bag and put it into an air right container, if moths come again I will not buy another bag.

Larry

Hot Springs, Ar

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Just opened a bag of Purina One SmartBlend Healthy Weight dog food and there are moths and larva in the food!!! Do not buy this food! I’m returning to PetSmart and reporting this to them as well. Upon looking closely with a flash light there is silky stringy stuff on the food with little larvae pieces attached.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

It is 4am and I was woken up by the sound of my baby vomiting. I have been cleaning vomit and diarrhea for an hour. My cat is my 1st baby. She is indoor, never having to be exposed to many threats. For almost a year now she has had bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. They are not regular, but at least once a month she trails it through my house. I have taken her to the Dr. at least 4x (can't afford). They can't find anything wrong. After tonight's huge pile of vomit consisting of dry food and mucus, it started to dawn on me. She has been eating Fancy Feast and Purina gentle dry. I'm both thankful and horrified that I found this site. I've been making my baby sick.

Not sure about Purina Pet Foods?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right dog food for you.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information