2.48/5
Based on 162 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

1411 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have a cat that has some health issues and lost almost all her fur at one point. We spent hundreds of dollars at the vet and specialty foods to try to help her. After trying Purina Naturals indoor formula - blue label, with chicken & turkey - my cat miraculously healed! This food was not the most expensive nor the least, but did the trick. Only the blue label indoor formula worked for my cat. I'm grateful for this product - especially after trying many expensive organic brands and science diet - nothing worked, but the Purina Naturals indoor formula - blue label. If anyone else is having allergy issues with their cat and if it's losing fur along with having rashes - I recommend giving Purina Naturals indoor formula a try. It worked for us!

Original review: June 9, 2018

We have ten cats and feed them all grain free cat food. I bought my first bag of Purina because I liked the name True Instinct. All ten of our cats vomited all night, and some the next morning as well. But our beloved Captain Hook vomited blood and died the very next morning. We have kept the almost full bag in our refrigerator waiting to get it tested... But how and where do we go? We live in Rock Island County, the state of Illinois. We miss Captain Hook dearly!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Purina One Sensitive Systems - If I could give it 0 stars I would. I had been feeding my poor cat Purina for years and over the past couple of months she started vomiting every single day on my carpet. That’s not fun to clean up and it leaves stains. It costs money to get those stains out Purina! Thanks a lot! I thought that maybe she was eating too fast so I tried a puzzle bowl, giving her small portions throughout the day and also tried spreading her food out on a large mat. None of that worked. Then I thought that maybe she wasn’t chewing it well enough so I tried the canned version, she still threw up and ended up with diarrhea too. Then I tried just wetting her dry food a little just to make it softer and she still threw it up. Nothing helped.

So I ended coming across these reviews about other people having the same issues with their poor kitties so I decided to change her food. She hasn’t thrown up once in the past two weeks since I changed brands. My dogs have been ok on Purina but I won’t be taking my chances so I’ll be finding another brand for them too. Purina, you really need to fix whatever is going on with your food. There’s obviously something very wrong.

Original review: May 14, 2018

For years been feeding my cat Purina One food and now he developed diabetes. Avoid this food at all costs. My cats threw up all the time and I thought was from eating too fast, but the real cause was this poorly made food. It is horrible to poke your cat with insulin twice a day and costing us thousands of dollars now to keep him alive. Don't buy this awful food, feed your pets grain free foods from other brands.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My dog is a rescue so I had little way of knowing her eating habits. I tried the shelter dog food brand and she just wasn't happy with it. Loose bowel movements all the time. I switched to Purina and what a change. She perked up, became much stronger, put some weight on. She looks forward to feeding time. She seems so much happier now and more content.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: May 7, 2018

My cat Macy started having issues several months ago, she had stopped eating and started losing weight. Vomiting more often than the occasional hairball, she also appeared to lose her balance and "spark". We have always fed our cats Purina Beyond Chicken and Oats because I thought she might have a food allergy to rice, and Friskies wet food without an issue for years. We took her to the Vet Feb. 8 2018 thinking the worst. They took X-rays and blood (thyroid, cancer, feline leukemia, AIDS), but they found nothing wrong. They gave her something to stimulate her appetite and high pro food from the Vet, we thought problem solved.

I noticed both of our cats would not eat their food anymore, and started to research. That led me to this website. Macy is still having major issues and is not in good health, she is much older than Jo-Jo (our other cat that lost fur in clumps at the same time), and I am afraid for her life. I have saved samples of her vomit (at times projectile) and the food we bought to have analyzed at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, Ca. where we live. I will share my findings.

I am very sorry for anyone who has lost their pet because of this. Something is very wrong with Purina pet food, we switched to Rachel Ray dry and are trying out various wet food from Pet Co. Appetite better, but Macy is still not the same. We also use to feed them Purina Denti-life treats, they stopped eating those around the same time. Have samples of all to be investigated.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Open both bags of Purina One Tender Selects Chicken and Salmon and found moths and cobwebs inside bags. We had been seeing several of these moths around the house but more in the cat room where these bags were stored until we opened them. They seem to be more active after it gets dark in the house. Now that we have taken these bags out of the house. Moth problem subsiding. We have been feeding this product for about a year to our 5 cats. Never seen this problem before now. Very disappointed in Purina One brand. Will stop buying this food and switch to other brands.

Original review: May 5, 2018

My dogs like Purina One. It is 1/2 price or less than Blue Buffalo. No digestive issues, in or out. Supplement with Pedigree canned. Still cheaper! I believe all the fruits in Blue Buffalo are unnecessary. I realize these products are meant to appeal to the buyer, yet my dogs do not eat fruit. I know this and ask what do coyote and feral dogs eat? It is not vegetable stew with chicken or venison's a possibility. It doesn't need to be colored or adorably shaped.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My cat is fed Iams dry cat food and every evening gets a half can of Fancy Feast-pate, gravy, all flavors except fish, which she hates. All of a sudden, she is throwing up and has diarrhea (new carpeting- thanks, Purina) every night. We stop the wet food and she is just fine again. Then we find out the ingredients have changed markedly. Purina is poisoning our cats and is not being held accountable. I believe consumers deserve to know what ingredients changed and why the consumer was not notified. No transparency. Will never use a Purina product again.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We have been feeding Purina Focus to our dog for four years. It was recommended by our daughter who is a veterinarian. Our lab mix does very well on this food. He is very active and is at his recommended weight. He eats it twice daily finishing every drop.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My dogs are a Golden Retriever/Lab mix. The Pro Plan Salmon for sensitive skin and stomach is the food they eat the best. I tried chicken and turkey but they seem to be allergic to foul. I won't buy Regular Purina due to the heavy corn which isn't digestible.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I purchases a bag of Purina Naturals food for my cats. I'm a vet tech and I variety feed my cats. This is nothing new and they NEVER have a problem. Within hours of putting this food out for them one of my 13 cats started vomiting. Over the next several hours and day, I had at least 10, yes, TEN vomiting, lethargic cats on my hands! This was Monday, today is Friday. Some of them are still vomiting and not eating. I've had to give injections along with subcutaneous fluids daily. I've never seen anything like it. Something is very wrong. I've seen other reviews from my area stating similar experiences. Everyone beware of this food. I would say stay away from Purina period until they address the complaints. PURINA, WHAT'S GOING ON??

Original review: April 28, 2018

My dogs were fed Purina One their entire lives. Always sick and all died prematurely. Got educated on dog foods. Immediately switched to a higher quality food. No further problems.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Purina One Large Breed Puppy Food is good quality, chicken -yes, no grain, no meat; price is good when compared to more trendy or upscale kibble. Purina has been around for a long time and with good reason.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Any pet owners with cats with a sudden onset of DIARRHEA, please have them checked for Tritrichomonas which will require treatment with **. This is the second time since 2015, our small rescue of 2 dozen cats, has been faced with this dilemma. We feed Poultry Platter and Turkey Giblets pates and 6 of our 24 cats have already been confirmed and contaminated with this dreadful bacteria. I contacted Purina the last time in Sept 2015 and again, and am losing my patience with their lack of prompt action. The PCR panels and treatment cost us in excess of $200 per cat to diagnose, treat, and retest. If your cat has SUDDENLY starting having vial stools, PLEASE, have your vet check for this bacteria directly, it is caused by a livestock contamination and is not eradicated during the manufacturing process. We cannot be the only ones out there, experiencing this.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My 4-5 y/o cat has been eating Purina One Hairball Formula for the 3yrs she's been with me. She abruptly stopped eating, was very lethargic and starting losing weight (unsure of vomiting/diarrhea as she's an indoor/outdoor cat). One week, $500 and two trips the vet later with fluids, meds, xrays and blood work, we still couldn't figure out why my otherwise healthy, non-finicky cat wouldn't eat. She was turning down her regular food and every kind of enticing people food I could think of (crabmeat, sardines, tuna, chicken, ground beef). I was preparing to hospitalize her for IV food and fluids when she approached her food bowl and growled and huffed at it, which she's never done before. In fact, she's never turned down ANY food before. As a last resort before hospitalizing, I switched brands. She ate immediately and did a full 180 in 24hrs, eating & drinking on schedule again, lethargy was gone, started gaining weight, etc.

Having read the reviews here of countless other stories similar to mine, I saved the Purina food, contacted them and offered to mail a sample for testing. They declined, saying they were sorry to hear she was sick, but they were certain it wasn't their food because they hadn't changed their formula. I encouraged them to reconsider, sending a link to these reviews as evidence that my situation was far from unique, pleading that they do testing to ensure other pets and owners don't have to go through this unnecessary stress and discomfort. They again declined but said they would mail a reimbursement check for $8.49, the cost of the bag, as if I cared about that. Very disappointed in their inaction and complete lack of corporate responsibility. Will obviously never use their products again.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My dogs don't want to eat the Purina Pro Plan Savor Lamb & Rice. They don't seem like they are getting full. They are hungry all the time. Help don't know what to do. I have tried other dog food but don't seems like they like any of it... What can you do???

Original review: April 25, 2018

I took my dog to the vet tonight and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with her and then I figured out it was her food! I just bought a brand new bag of Purina Pro Plan adult breed chicken and I went to feed her dinner and she only ate half of it. My dog NEVER declines food. This morning she had no desire to eat it but eventually did and had very bad diarrhea this morning and later today she began vomiting! A large piece of her stomach filled with blood came up with the food so I rushed her to the vet. I’ve been feeding her this brand for over a year. She just had surgery from uncontrollable vomiting in January and now another vet bill from the food! Is Purina doing anything about this!?!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I'm very satisfied with Purina Puppy Chicken and Rice and my puppy continues to eat it every day... My vet says he is very healthy and he is growing like a week. Going on 5 months no digestion problems, no diarrhea or vomiting.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I have been feeding my cats Friskies dry cat food years and in the past 6 months I've added 1 feeding per day of the canned food and cats had loved it. Just recently I noticed that after feeding the White Oceanfish and Tuna they are experiencing vomiting and diarrhea.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I own two cats. One is a 15 year-old male and one is a female approx 16 months. They were both fed Purina Friskies Seafood Sensations (and Royal Canin Urinary S/O occasionally). One day I heard about Purina One Urinary Health and decided to try it as it was significantly cheaper than Royal Canin, at $14.50 for 1.5 kg compared to $40 for the same size. I decided to try and introduce it slowly to them by mixing it with their current at the time which was Purina Friskies Seafood Sensations. Immediately I noticed my younger girl trying to pick out the old food, and refusing to eat the new food. The older boy was eating ok for a while but started getting stomach upsets and vomiting after a few days. He had always had a problem with vomiting but not this much. The younger girl refused to eat at all and would rather starve than eat the new food.

I thought it was ok to switch back to Purina Friskies Seafood Sensations because that had no problems with that, but we couldn't afford to keep buying the expensive Royal Canin. I decided to try them both on the Royal Canin mixed with the Purina One and it worked for a while but then the older boy kept vomiting and both of them refused to eat. The older boy was losing weight and the younger girl was getting very cranky so we decided to cut the Purina One altogether. We would rather try and find the money to buy the expensive Royal Canin than use Purina One.

I know my cats are fussy eaters but they have not had problems like this especially the weight loss. I thought that because they liked the Friskies Seafood Sensations that they would like the POUH. I am disappointed at this and I believe that for the price the nutrition should be better. Also on the bag it says veterinarian recommended, I told my vet about it and they said they do not endorse it in any way. Not happy. I will be writing a complaint to Purina because lying about veterinarian advice is not good enough. I am very annoyed because now I have to get rid of an expensive bag of useless food.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Both of my dogs have been eating Purina One chicken and rice dry for over 4 years and we never had any problems. Last month my pug got very sick and both dogs refused to eat the food. I bought a new bag and tossed the old bag thinking maybe it was old. Opened the bag, fed them both and again they both will not eat it. Something is definitely wrong with this brand. My dogs are not picky eaters but neither will touch it. Now we are switched to another brand.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have fed my cats cat natural food for 3 years, never a problem. However the last 2 bags I've gotten from Walmart has made my cats throw up and now they refuse to eat. Even the raccoon who lives in the neighborhood always tries to steal cat food won't even touch it. The Walmart shipment of this cat food needs to be checked and look into for possible recall. I've seen other complaints on this site within the last 90 days.

I have fed my cats cat natural food for 3 years, never a problem. However the last 2 bags I've gotten from Walmart has made my cats throw up and now they refuse to eat. Even the raccoon who lives.in the neighborhood always tries to steal cat food won't even touch it. The Walmart shipment of this cat food needs to be checked and look into for possible recall. I've seen other complaints on this site within the last 90 days.

Original review: April 2, 2018

My beautiful 10-year old Himalayan cat, Oliver, started vomiting and having diarrhea everywhere other than the potty box. The poop was brick colored and stained our carpets. Oliver was clearly quite sick and miserable. Walmart had been out of the Naturals Original that he usually eats so I bought a 22 lb bag of Naturals Indoor formula.

After one day of eating only the Indoor formula, my poor cat was violently ill. The vet ran tests and rendered treatments trying to save Oliver's life. $500 later the vet told me to check the contents paragraph on the bag of Indoor formula and let him know if there were any food dyes listed. Sure enough, Red #40 is an ingredient in the Indoor formula, but not in the Original. Our vet said cats frequently develop allergies to Red #40 especially! As soon as I could feed Oliver the Original formula, he started feeling and acting like his usual self. No more vomiting or diarrhea. WHY IN THE WORLD DO YOU THINK OUR PETS NEED TO EAT RED #40? I sure don't want it in my food. And I will never again buy cat food with that toxic additive. Purina owes me $500 for pet care + cost of cat show.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We've used Purina Cat Chow Naturals with our 5 cats (and 2 outdoor strays) for years. The last bag we got, however, has made everyone sick. Two of the cats were vomiting blood and are being treated by our vet, everyone's appetite has plummeted, and they're lethargic. One of the strays who has come by daily for the last 5 years is gone; we're worried he's fallen ill or died. The other stray - usually quite the food hog - refuses to eat the Purina, and our indoor cats won't touch it now either. Needless to say, we're switching brands immediately and hoping everyone bounces back soon. But it's been incredibly distressing to watch everyone's health take a nose dive and not know the cause. Their dry food is one the big common denominators, so we're concerned a recent batch of this brand may have been contaminated.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Indoor dry cat food - I have 7 indoor cats so I have been getting this product for a long time. Today, I got a bag from Walmart. The wrong product was in the bag. Normally the product looks like little pebbles. Todays bag contained little triangles fish rectangles etc. Since one of the cats only eats dry food. I put some out. She threw it up. I have wet food I can feed the others with for tonight. Obviously a quality control issue. I already contacted Walmart so hopefully they check their other bags in stock.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Fed Purina One Chicken and Rice to my dog his whole life, 7.5 years. This last bag I bought was the first time I saw him respond this way. Twice now has caused him to go full on zombie mode. Limping and random squealing, cant walk straight, just sits and stares at me for a sec and then plops back down. Nothing like himself, normally is a bounding heap of uncontrolled energy but since buying this bag I've noticed when I get home instead of waiting anxiously by the door he stays laying down until I walk in and then moseys over. I will submit the bag and lot #'s and what not when I get home. I have to watch him on a camera while at work periodically to make sure he isn't dying on me the way so many others have listed as occurring. I have neither the money nor time currently to take off work and take him to the vet, I will of course. But as far as what he's ingested I can verify without a doubt the only thing eaten, has been this food.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I woke up to cat puke and diarrhea ALL OVER MY DAMN HOUSE! And we just got another bag last night! What am I suppose to do with this laxative **?! And we have a pregnant cat here! What if it harms her babies? This company need to liquidate like Indy and Sam did all over my floor!

Original review: March 23, 2018

My mother-in-law gave the sample to my Maine Coon, within 6 hours he began vomiting. The next day his abd was bloated but still drinking and refusing to eat. Today his liver is hard as a rock, no drinking, no food and now in renal failure from a fatty liver. This cat is 3 years old and should not have to endure such abuse and loss of life from a company that claims to care about pets! Don't buy or use any samples ever!!!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I recently adopted a little Cairn Terrier from the Feed Store. The complimentary vet visit included a free sample bag of Science Diet for small dogs. My dog loved it and did very well on it. When it ran out, I decided to pick up a bag of Purina One Smartblend Lamb and Rice while I was at Walmart. After about five days on the Purina, Buddy threw up one morning. He then began having diarrhea and gas every day, and became anxious at times (worrying about soiling his new home).

I became suspicious of the food, so last night I Googled "Purina One Smartblend...." and Google actually finished my sentence with "gives my dog diarrhea". I then read the reviews and was floored. We took a late drive to PetSmart and picked up a new bag of Science Diet. He ate his dinner and then just relaxed and slept like a baby. There were no middle-of-the-night bathroom calls, and no puddles of pudding in the morning, thank God. I will never buy Purina again. After reading the reviews, I see there has been no recall despite pets having died. I foresee a class action lawsuit if they don't act soon.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information