1.91/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Purina Pet Foods

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 3, 2017

1280 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

On several occasions, I have received poor quality cat food, large chunks that cats can choke on and dark color nuggets that the cats don't like. When I contacted Purina, they sent me coupons that DON'T WORK. When I contacted them again, I was told to "try another store." DON'T BUY PURINA!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

So yeah, white maggots and moths in food I just purchased a week ago from local store (2 bags) in northwest Ohio and 1 from chewy.com I have yet to check. Figured since I stocked up this would happen. Time to find another brand after reading about Purina on here. Thank you!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

My dog refused many times to eat this food but I never thought THIS food could be the reason as PURINA is the reputable brand until luckily my kid discovered brown worms in the food. I had purchased it online (WALMART) in last month and discovered worms today i.e. September 22' 2017. I don't know how long they have been there, and I am worried that my dog have eaten some of them, and I have no way of knowing how many because they were almost invisible in his food (as same color) and I could have overlooked them for a while. I am not sure if this type of worm the kind that can damage dog's intestines? Is the interceptor enough, or should we take our dog to the vet to eradicate any worms he may have eaten? I am just concerned... Now when I started thinking of why my dog vomit often plus why he lost appetite. LESSON LEARNT. People DO NOT BUY Purina ONE SmartBlend Lamb & Rice Formula.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I've been buying Purina Indoor Cat Food for my fur baby for quite a while, and haven't had any complaints about it until now. I found small moths and moth larva in the cat food container. I cleaned the container with hot water and bleach. I bought a large sealed plastic bowl for the cat food and bought a new bag thinking that maybe it was just a fluke. WRONG! I found moth larva in the cat's dish today, and have had these little moths flying around the house.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I was horrified to see there were tiny worms in my cat food bowls today. I've never really inspected the bowls but today it was empty and they were obvious in the dark bowl. Normally they still have a little food left and I just top them off. I inspected the bag and sure enough there were thousands in the giant bag I JUST purchased. I'm now having to take two cats to the vet to make sure they are ok. So mad right now!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I can't believe I found bugs and larvae on one of Purina Dog Food bag. What is most shocking is found several people with the same problem! I will never buy this food again, and I hope Purina recalls its food. Bugs found inside a bag of Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Dog Food - Salmon & Rice.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I purchased a bag of Purina One Cat Food, a bag of Beneful dog food and a bag of Meow Mix cat food. All from different stores a few months apart. Each bag had moths and larvae inside. We didn't notice it at first and our youngest cat began throwing up and became lethargic. We inspected the Purina 1 bag and threw it out after finding moths. That day we opened the Beneful dog food for the first time and the Meow Mix and both were filled with larvae and moths. We will never buy Purina brands again!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Several months ago I joined the Cat Perks program as I am a loyal Purina customer and thought it would be great to get some "free" stuff for my cats. I have seven cats that are all rescues. Seven cats can be a financial burden - vet bills, feeding, etc. So I thought the Cat Perks would let me put the points to work. However, it seems that Purina wants my loyalty, but they give little back in return. They allow a maximum of 6500 points per month. A 13lb bag of the Purina Naturals is worth 3000 points and the 18lb bag is worth 3500 points. I usually buy 2 or 3 18lb bags per month. Each month I have points that I am unable to use. They have rewards such as iPads, Dyson vacuums, etc. that require 1,000,000 points, but it would take about 13 years to accumulate that many points. Really not worth the effort!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

12 Aug 2017 bought these treats for my Beagle, on 14 Aug he was very sick, throwing up, diarrhea, lethargic, heavy breathing. Took to vet on Monday, 14 Aug 2017. No blood work. No X-rays. Misdiagnosed with arthritis in hips. Given Carprofen injection in hip. Over the next few days our dogs' appetite diminished. We were told it was from the Carprofen. By Saturday, he was not eating. By Sunday, 20 Aug 2017, he had stopped urinating. Foul odor from breath. Vets office opened at 7:00 am on the 21st. We were there at 6:45 am. Vet examined him and said not to be surprised if he didn't have a liver mass, that he needed to admit him and give him an IV, a catheter, blood work, and chest X-ray. I told the vet that I'd wait, and he told me no, that he'd call me.

At 11:30 am, I called to see how he was feeling. I was told he was resting comfortably and doing well. At 1:30 pm, the vet called me to tell me my dog had a mass in his left lung, and that the blood work would not be available until overnight while they were closed. He told me to pick him up at 5:30 pm and bring him back first thing the following morning. We got to the vet's office at 5:25 pm. When the tech brought my dog to us, he was unable to stand and did not respond to me or my wife in any manner. We left and decided to take him to another animal hospital that had 24 hour care. Called our vet to have them send his records. Our dog passed away in my wife's' arms just as we got there. CPR restarted his heart once, then stopped. Injection to restart his heart failed. Need to also state that I had 2 dogs, this Beagle and a Coonhound. The Coonhound is a bigger dog. He got sick off these treats as well and has recovered.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Well, when I first noticed in my dog food what appeared to be paper, I thought maybe it was just a small processing error and didn't think much of it. As we get further thru the dog food bag, it became more prominent and then I started noticing small moths and moth larvae (or worms... whatever it is). Now I'm thinking the paper I found in the bag was larvae webbing or what have you, and now have been killing tiny moths all over my house. This product and company name seems to be tainted.

Since their main client is an animal, which doesn't have a voice and/or can't complain publicly, they haven't and appears they won't correct the problem... Most likely since it will be a heavy all encompassing recall across many products, both cat and dog. Their main website homepage even says "Discover how far we go to ensure your pets get the best nutrition." Oh... I've discovered alright... and my poor dogs are paying for it with illness. Make sure you let them know and I hope everyone gets the word out with your issues with them as well. Contact your news, media outlets and internet groups... Something needs to be done because I doubt nothing will unless it gets BIG. I will not buy ANYTHING from them again. Thanks for your time.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I purchased my dog a new dog food Purina One Smartblend a few days ago. Once I opened I didn't notice any bugs but when I went to transfer his food into his airtight container I saw small black bugs in the food. At first I thought no big deal. But the next day I used the scoop to move the food around and saw a numerous amount of the same black bugs. Looking further I saw white larvae on some of the pieces. I am very disappointed in this and after reading all the bad reviews with Purina products I will be promptly returning this bad $30.00 bag to the store and continue searching for a new (bug free) dog food. I hope Purina figures out a better way to stock and store their products soon. I’m sadden by this because for the 2 days we had it my dog loved it.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Purina One is some of the best dog food I've seen. The first ingredient is chicken or beef which is very impressive. And my furry friends love that dog food more than people food.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Found maggots in the food in three occasions. First time was towards the bottom of the bag. I gave the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe something had crawled inside the bag. I'm very clean but I live in an island (lots of bugs). Second time, I noticed the maggots when the bag was half way done. Rushed to the pet supermarket where I got it from, and decided to switch to a better brand (Nutro). In order to avoid my dog getting sick, I decided to buy just a 5 lb bag of the same Purina pro plan salmon blend and wean her off the right way by mixing it with the new food. Well, guess what I found once again on the second day?!? You guessed it... MAGGOTS!!! DO NOT FEED THIS ** To YOUR DOG!!! I initially got it because my dog has very sensitive skin ever since we rescue her. This never alleviated her skin issues anyways. This product should be called back, and taken off the shelves!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I like this dog food. It's been around for a very long time and that says a lot about it. One really good thing about Purina dog food is a twenty pound bag costs ten to twelve dollars but the biggest brands like Blue Buffalo, Science Diet, and others cost fifty dollars and I can't afford that.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I have two small older dogs. They have dental issues and I find the Purina mini bite dry food I purchase works the best. I can leave it out and not be concerned about their not being able to chew.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I feed my dogs Purina Natural no grain. It's expensive but my dogs do very well with it. I can only find it at PetSmart and go out of my way to get it. Would love for it to be available in more places.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017
    Within these 6 months I lost 3 cats, all between ages 7 and 8. All of them were born from different Momma cats and were initially adopted from different rescue groups. They were all absolutely healthy when they were adopted as kittens. All of them had 1 thing in common: I fed them Purina Fancy Feast all their lives.

I wasn't educated enough about potentially dangerous ingredients in commercial cat foods until now. The scary realization dawned onto me just a few days ago. I was so devastated with many recent losses. I just couldn't understand why all my cats were so unlucky health-wise to die at such a relatively young age? My mother-in-law had a cat who lived till 21 y.o. and other people I knew had cats for 17+ years. Why was I cursed to have such a short time with my cats whom I love unconditionally?

My cats had everything any cat could wish for. They even had a whole room in the house to themselves, that was their space, always clean, full of new toys, clean sleeping beds, cat trees, fresh wheat grass and fresh water at all the times. They never lacked anything. They were never placed at any pet hotels. We had trusted family members taking care of them if we had to take a short trip somewhere. In February I lost my beloved cat Baby Moose who died from renal failure. Baby Moose was only 8 years old. Then one of his former pals Alex, who after my divorce lived with my ex, died from the abdominal cancer at the age of 8. Alex was also fed exclusively with Fancy Feast. And in July I lost Baby Moose's biggest friend, my precious cat Bobby who died from abdominal cancer. Bobby was only 7 years old. I have only one cat left from my three sweet musketeers. And Lisa is very sick now too.

Now when I started thinking of all my cats I ever adopted, my first pet Max whom I had awhile ago also died young. He was only 7 years old and died from the abdominal cancer. I also fed him exclusively with Fancy Feast. It cannot be a coincidence or just a bad luck. 3 out 4 cats died at the age between 7 and 8 from the abdominal cancer. Even though the 4th one died from renal failure, he was again only 8 and he was fed exclusively Purina Fancy Feast.

After this horrific realization, I'm trying to prolong life of my only cat I have now. I immediately switched to other, more expensive brands and am extremely careful about the ingredients on the labels. I'm also planning on making meals for my sweet Lisa by myself. Even though the damage is done and at the age of 7 she has already serious health issues, switching her to a different diet made a huge improvement in her wellbeing. Although she is on meds, since the diet switch she is like a new cat, more energetic and playful. People, please, take a lesson from my unfortunate experience with Fancy Feast. Do your research and be careful what you feed your beloved furry kids. Their life is in your hands!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Our two cats have been acting sickly and sounding funny when they meow. We decided to bring a bowl of food upstairs to see if one of the cats would eat. After taking a bite, he got sick. Luckily the kids were paying close attention and discovered small worms in the food. This was a new bag of Purina Complete Cat Food, which was just opened recently. I was horrified to discover reviews from July 28 talking about the same issue. Do not buy this for your cats.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I believe that Purina is a reputable brand. We have purchased both Purina Dog and Cat Chow down for many years now and for many pets that we've owned.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

We use Purina Pro Plan Grain Free at recommendation of vet. This is a good dry dog food that helps with allergies and provides quality ingredients. I think it is a good value.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

My dog really loves this brand of dog food, I have tried feeding her other dog foods but she's a finicky eater so it's not easy trying to please her. I believe she really likes this brand for its taste and for the fact it gives her energy.

Original review: July 28, 2017

For the simple fact that I ended up with cancer myself and wasn't able to really do anything to be able to get other food besides what local stores carried, I 100% against my better judgment went with Friskies wet food and now have found mold growing off the wet food in hours. I currently have a can sealed open and a can free to the air recording the process. I'm so mad at myself especially after I lost a cat already to Purina indoor cat mix, I could spew fire right now. My cat is hacking and sneezing and I can almost guarantee it's because she's been eating mold.

Once I get proper documents I'm taking it to the BBB and a lawyer. I'm so sick of Purina killing animals, never never do it. Tell everyone you know. I've heard time and time again people's stories just like everyone's here. All with one thing in common - Purina. My cat passed away after all I could to save him from renal failure. He was perfectly fine and within a month had to be put to sleep not even. It's so sad and they don't care, not even enough to try and pay you off, don't give the time of day.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I bought 2 different bags of Purina One Smart Blend Lamb & Rice. There were small minute bugs crawling from the food in each bag and my Golden Retriever wouldn't eat it. But my Beagle Blue Tic Hound did and he was older and he got so sick from it diarrhea, eating grass to settle his stomach. His stomach was extended and so painful I couldn't touch it and we had to put him to sleep. But we didn't know it was from this food until a day after when I saw bugs in another new small bag.

If I knew that these bugs in this food I could have told my vet and we could have treated my Beagle BT Hound for parasites or larvae but it's too late. Now I have to take my Golden Retriever to the vet to be checked and treated. DON'T GIVE THIS BRAND OF DOG FOOD TO YOUR ANIMALS!!! I can't bring my dog back but I can warn others to not give this to your dogs. I expect a call from Purina regarding my loss of my dog and treatment for my golden!!!

Original review: July 23, 2017

I changed my cat food to Purina Naturals Indoor formula about one year ago. I noticed two of my cats were not as playful as they once were. One WAS 7 and the other ONLY 5 years old. On June 1, 2017 I lost one of the two and JUST yesterday July 22, 2017 due to RENAL FAILURE!!! I couldn't even get my first cat to the vet. He was gone in three days. The second one WAS at the vet for 4 days. The vet let me take him home but his kidneys AND bladder were damaged and he passed away the next morning... so this is a WARNING to EVERYONE. DO NOT BUY PURINA INDOOR NATURALS CAT FOOD!!!

Original review: July 21, 2017

My niece's cat has kidney problems and has been acting strange. I read ingredients on bag of cat food and was horrified. The first ingredient is corn and corn gluten followed by chicken by-products. Also included is yellow dye 5 and 6 blue dye 2 and red dye 40 and the list goes on... Remember this is the seafood sensations... Ocean fish meal comes in as the seventh ingredient. REALLY???... Nowhere is there real ingredients. I called Purina and they answered stating they were pet lovers. They are not or they would not put these awful ingredients in their pet food. I immediately dumped remaining food out and went to the store and bought cat food with first ingredient of fish, no dyes. I am shocked and angry that a company still sells this toxic food.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I have purchased several bags of Purina Shreds dog food from Petco. All have contained moth larvae. At first I thought it was just a one time thing but after purchasing at least 5 bags of the same dog food they all have had the infestation of moth larvae. Has anyone else had this issue?

Original review: July 18, 2017

I have a gray male tabby with a sensitive stomach. I tried ScienceDiet, Iams, a few other "better" brands before settling on Purina One Gentle Digestive Formula (dry), supplemented with Purina One chicken or turkey pate (wet). This is food he can keep down, unlike many others. So the cat gets the last vote. If this were my vote, I would never go near Purina. First, they're owned by Nestle, one of the most evil companies in the world. Over the decades they've starved African children with their infant formula promotion in lesser developed countries and continued to pump water for bottling out of California during a massive drought.

But the week-to-week insult is their coupons that never seem to work. When I buy Purina One and pay for it, I get a coupon. So I scan one small can, then pay up so I can use the coupon on the other cans. Problem is, every week the coupon is different. If I have six cans, they require 12 to get a discount. If I have 12, they require 18. The store does not stock 18 of these cans, so that coupon is pointless. To date I never once have been able to actually use any of these coupons. The whole thing seems to be a scam, which would make sense coming from a Nestle company.

I understand that pet products are largely unregulated, so I don't expect a USDA stamp on cat food. I learned the hard way that the FDA does not regulate pet meds or topical treatments -- I had a sick cat, and the manufacturer thumbed its nose at me, noting that there is no oversight or law governing it. NOTE: If a vet ever tries to give you "prescription" food, be aware that there is no law regulating this either. "Prescription" food is designed to ensure healthy profits for the manufacturer (Hill's, for one) and the vet clinic alike. If the vet does not adhere to the manufacturer's rules, the product is pulled from that clinic.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I switched my six year old cat to Purina indoor cat formula about four months ago. He developed crystals in his bladder, which caused him to not be able to urinate. He died of kidney failure. Since then, several other people I know said they lost their cats the same way. Why does Purina continue to market a product that they know is dangerous to pets? Don't they care?

Original review: June 27, 2017

I used to buy Purina One occasionally for our 6 year old cat. He loved it but we noticed he was very very hyperactive after it. It was funny but we noticed it was a bit artificial when it happened every time he ate it. The sad thing is last Saturday he was excited as usual and my partner was rubbing him in the back in the garden and he was all happy in the sun. He turned for a moment and when he turned back the cat just stayed lying down. He actually just died there and then. No marks or anything he just stopped breathing. Needless to say we are still devastated and broken hearted. I am just wondering is there any connection to the hyperactivity. The vet said it was heart failure. It was so sudden we are still in shock. The there Taurine in that food and Taurine is dangerous.

Original review: June 25, 2017

Happened twice in 2 months! Noticed white spots on pieces of Purina one chicken and rice dog food. Then appeared little black bugs throughout the bag. Brought back to store. Just opened another bag 3 days ago - white spots again on pieces - now worms, maggots - throughout the bag! Disgusting. Store replaced and Purina had sent me coupons for previous bag. Will switch brands - never Purina again.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information