2.90/5
Based on 144 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

1377 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I normally feed Purina ONE True Instinct natural grain free dry cat food to my cats. 1 kitten inside, one stray cat outside, one that goes out during the day and comes in at night. Last week I bought got a new bag. Maybe on Wednesday. Feed the cats like normal, the cats didn’t seem to be eating their food like normal. By Saturday my kitten was vomiting and not eating or drinking. To the vets on Monday. He has a severe case of gastroenteritis. After X-rays and 400$ worth of test. The stray cat was not eating his food either. I noticed he was just laying around and he started vomiting.

I am having to feed water and baby food thru a syringe to keep him alive. He has other health issues, so this is not helping. So through tending to these two I began to wonder about my indoor/outdoor cat eating. I just leave the bowl with food in it for him. It has not been touched. I have been trying to think of a commonality as to why my cats are sick and this is only commonality I can see. There is no other reason. The fact they all only ate the new bag of Purina cat food for about one day. I think it is poisoned. I empty the bag in a Tupperware container when I get it to keep it fresh, so I didn’t have the bag to look at the Lot number.

So I went back to the store where I purchased to see if it was expired or get the Lot number. The type I bought has been removed from the shelf and new bags were there. The bags said “new”, like it was new and improved. The manager said they replaced it probably because it was not selling very well and they had already sent it back. So after the visits to vet and all meds for the kitten it cost me about 700 dollars. I have not taken the stray into the vets because of the cost. I will not recommend this product. I have switched to Royal Canin per the vet recommendation. That is when they can start eating again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

My cat is 17 years old. When he was about 7 years old we had a bad experience with this food. We almost lost him. Vomiting, diarrhea, took him to the vet. Was put on medication. Stayed overnight. So I quit using this brand for many years. About a year ago I started using this brand again with no problems until two days ago, he had the same reaction to the food, so I cut him off immediately, so I'm done with this brand for good this time. No more wet cat food. I will fed him human can food Salmon, and Tuna. Lol!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have 11 cats. They have been eating Purina One for years. This summer, 6 of the 11 started having skin issues. The others were throwing up. As soon as I stopped giving them Purina One, the vomiting slowed down. 3 of the 6 with skin issues got better. After a few months, their skin is back to normal. The other 3 got worse. It looks like an allergic reaction. The 3 cats are losing hair and are scabby from scratching so much. I switched to Rachael Ray Grain Free, and their skin is finally starting to improve. I started making homemade chicken cat food from catinfo.com. Veterinarian Lisa Pierson DVM created the recipe. I used this in the past for sick cats and it worked. They had healthy skin when I was using this recipe, so I'm hoping it will improve their skin again. Decent pet food saves on vet bills, and is definitely worth the extra cost.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My dog has been vomiting for days now and it is definitely her food. I’ve given her Purina One SmartBlend lamb and rice and since then she’s been throwing up constantly. I did some research and it has happened to a lot of other dogs. This food needs a recall immediately!! It hurts to see your pet sick. She’s up at night vomiting and I’m up with her. Something needs to be done.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

PURINA IS A BAD PRODUCT. DON'T FEED THIS PRODUCT TO YOUR PETS. IT WILL MAKE THEM SICK. You will be taking your pet to the vet and dishing out money. All of their products are bad. Kitten Chow, Cat Chow Complete, and don't even feed your cat Purina Indoor Cat Food in the green bag. Cat has bad case of food allergies from ingredients that causes your cat to sneeze, agitate skin, and lose hair. Use caution.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Our Six month old lab had started on this dog food (Purina One Smart Blend Large breed puppy formula) and was fine. He went a month on the same food. I bought another bag and since then he has been having out of control episodes of diarrhea. We took him to the vet right away. We noticed he had some plastic in his bowel movements most likely from a chew toy and just thought it could just be that so we started him on a bland rice and chicken diet. He seemed to be feeling better with the medication prescribed to slow down his diarrhea. To make a long story short we started him back up with a cup of his regular dog food and what do you know. The horrific diarrhea is back.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

My 10 year old dog had previously never had any issues with Purina Pro Plan Small Adult Breed food. We've been feeding it to her for years and she's really healthy. On Nov 8th, 2017, I opened a brand new bag of food and there was violent vomiting for nearly 12 hours. The next night, the same thing. So I returned the bag, thinking I just got a bad lot. Same thing with the new bag of food to the point that my dog wouldn't eat anything for days. Switched her to chicken and rice to calm her GI. Went back to kibble, vomit! $600 in vet bills, blood work is fine, no obstructions, no parasites.

Two months later, I give her a handful of Acana (top end brand) of kibble which she finally loved. Hour later, puke which continued for about 12 hours. The only thing that started this all was the new bag of Pro Plan. I've spent hundreds trying to find her a food that she can tolerate. It wasn't until I read from other reviewers that I'm convinced it had to be that bag of food from Pro Plan. Especially reading one from North Las Vegas. I am in Vegas. Maybe we got bad bags. But it's cost me a fortune and countless nights of sleep taking care of my baby. I found a local pet store that assisted with freeze dried raw food which she was able to tolerate!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Changed my healthy 9 yr old pug to Purina Lamb and Rice thinking the extra glucosamine and other nutrients would be a good choice. WRONG! After introducing the new food gradually, I finally gave her her normal amount of Purina One. My dog has had diarrhea nonstop. Not sure what they put in this food to make a seemingly otherwise healthy dog sick. We are day number two of rice to calm her stomach.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

After purchase of a fresh 6.3lb bag of our cats FAVORITE dry cat food - Purina Cat Chow Complete - she immediately sickened and started vomiting after meals and then refused to eat. She kept returning to her bowl but wouldn't eat. We purchased 2 other brands. Being a trained lab tech I ran a test. 3 bowls, one of each food. She reluctantly ate the 2 new foods (with no vomiting) while still leaving her "favorite" untouched. To verify a BAD BATCH I purchased a 18oz box of her favorite Purina Cat Chow Complete from another store in the next town.

A 4th bowl of the boxed P.C.C.C was added to the test - which she immediately claimed as "favorite" again. Then I reduced the test to 2 bowls of Purina Cat Chow Complete... one from the 6.3lb bag and one from the 18oz box. Even after switching the bowls around a couple times without her knowledge, she only loves the food from the box. CONCLUSION - BAD BATCH stamped BEST BY: JUN 2018 73381084 2308 L10. I pity the pets that are not offered an alternative!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Our dogs had been on Purina One for years. I’m not sure if they have recently reformulated or if their quality went down but all 4 of our dogs (one right after another) started getting diarrhea and throwing up. It got to the point that they wouldn’t eat. We fed them rice and pure pumpkin to settle their GI tract and started them on Nutro grain free dog food. That solved the problem. We will never buy Purina One again!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Overpriced, extremely small amt of product and horrible packaging. The product also includes fish heads (my cat doesn't mind but I do) and the foil envelope is such that it requires a firm grip to "pull 'n tear". Too firm, however, results in the spillage of the precious small amount to begin with. The package design includes a "fold" at the bottom where a great deal of the solid portion of product gets stuck and is impossible to dig out. My cat loves the food but to pay over a dollar for two tablespoons of food is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Recently found putrid stringy moldy wads and bug remains in bag of Cat Chow Complete purchased in December 2017. Have also complained directly to Purina. I did not notice the moldy chunks until after they were 1/4 a way through the bag because they are fed with a gravity feeder. I stopped feeding as soon as it was noticed. The rest of the food looks chalky/fuzzy. Definitely lighter in color than normal. I have been feeding the cats this food for 2 years. I will not feed my dogs or cats anymore Purina brands until I am satisfied Purina is taking care of this.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My cat Tiger has been eating Kit & Kaboodle dry food ever since we got him. This most recent large bag purchased from Walmart in North Las Vegas in November 2017 was different. My cat started to exhibit odd behaviors such as chasing his tail, acting more aggressive/biting me way more, and developed a long area under his paw/along his rib cage area with a rash and missing fur.

At first I was afraid it might be mange or something. It was bleeding with tiny scab spots, missing hair, and a rough line down the middle that still feels like scar tissue or thickened tissue. The cat gets very irritated when I try to look at it and very irritated when picked up “wrong”/where it hurts him. This has changed our social, energetic, happy and friendly cuddle cat’s personality dramatically. Sometimes he’s just very lethargic and his fur looks dull/oily—he was never like that before. Then I started looking at pictures online and saw that it appears to be an allergic reaction. Also the cat vomits every time he eats this dry cat food.

We switched his cat food to Hills Science $$$ and his behavior is slowly returning to normal. I called Purina and the CSR on the phone could only repeatedly give the canned scripted responses like a robot “Purina has been in business for 90 years...” and “the only recent change to the formula has been the addition of an artificial color...” exhibiting no real care about the health of my cat nor the fact that I’ve been cleaning up cat barf repeatedly (and the familiar heave sound from my cat leaving just enough notice to see the fresh barf) and dealing with the odd and negative behaviors my cat now exhibits because of ingesting this poison. I believe it could be GMOs fully creeping into the raw materials used to make this cat food. No wonder everyone is now switching to Hills Science... Buyer beware if you love your cat and don’t want him to get sick and end up dead. Thank God we figured this out in time... :(

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

My cats Shadow and Sassy have been eating strictly Purina Cat Chow and Friskies Pate wet food which is also owned by Purina. My cat Shadow lived for 3 years without an issue until the past 3 days since I got him and my cat Sassy another bag of Purina Seafood Sensations and the Friskies pate wet food. Shadow has had all vaccinations and so have Sassy and Sassy is 2 years old. Shadow is 3 and they get them annually. Both are also neutered and spayed. But other than that I cannot afford anything else. They were both so healthy until the past three days, Shadow began throwing up undigested food and blood and foaming at the mouth. I can't begin to describe my pain of losing him because I reared him from 3 weeks of age on the bottle and he was a rescue. He had to be euthanized on December 27th and Sassy started showing the same symptoms last night and is fading fast.

Not one but both of my cats ill just days apart strikes suspicion in me and from what others have said online I can almost pinpoint Purina to blame. I ask to get a necropsy on Sassy if I can but Shadow I already buried. But they also need to test the food itself for illegal ingredients and other stuff... I wish to pursue legal action. And justice for my babies. My son is 5 months old and he loved my kitties. Sassy will have to be euthanized if she gets worse. I suggest that you do not buy this food and if you do and your pet is still healthy change it. And who knows how many people they can pay to lie... I lost receipt but I have my bag and it has an order number.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

We purchased a bag of Purina one smart blend dog food from our local Dollar General store, it was fully contaminated and infested with mold, maggots, and god knows what else. Its expiration date said May 2018. It’s currently December 2017... Horrible!!! I returned it after taking pictures. I couldn’t be upset with Dollar General. They couldn’t know it was like that, I blame the owners and manufacturers and have filed a formal complaint. We will never use again!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I recently changed to Purina One Purposeful Nutrition dry cat food and after several days I rushed my cat to the vet where I learned she had lost 75% of her kidney function ($300+ vet bill). She had just had a checkup with normal cbc. She is now on science diet food and striving. I am not sure if it was this food but there is no other explanation. It is quite odd how ill she became after eating this food and how well she became after discontinuing it. I do not and will not recommend this food.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We have 2 rescues that eat Purina Pro Bright Minds Grain free, 7+ yrs. They've been fed Purina Pro Plan for about 4 years and liked it (shredded chicken) and were switched to the 7+ this summer. They tolerate it and seem fine but it's ridiculously expensive 24#/$56. The vet recommended Purina over Blue Buffalo because of higher testing standards and I routinely check a website that reports on recalls and pet food ingredients. While PPP does not have perfect ingredients, I believe it is better than non-tested/poorly tested brands.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My dogs love the Purina pet food and it has healthy choices. I get different flavors each week and they like it when I mix it up. I have big and small dogs. The little ones has no problem eating it.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

The dry dog food I use is Purina One Lamb and Rice and my dogs like it. I have been trying to figure out a better canned dog food than Alpo Rice and Lamb, because lamb is too far down on the list.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Affordable premium dog food. Worked in the animal health industry for 15 years and Purina knows animal nutrition. We currently use Purina One products for our dog and cat. They absolutely love it and remain very healthy with beautiful coats and high energy levels. We have tried them all... If they don't like or eat it, doesn't matter how great they claim it to be.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I have used Purina products for years and years with no ill effects. I can only speak about dog foods. Have had no major illness in any dog over many years and will continue to use this brand.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I just purchased a brand new, unopened bag of Purina Cat Chow "Complete" at PetSmart. When I opened the bag and scooped out some to put in my cat's food dish, I thought it smelled very pungent. But I didn't look inside. I was in a hurry. My cat ate all the food and seemed unaffected. The next day, I scooped out some more, but this time, I noticed something like webs on my hand and the scoop, and the pet food had tiny white maggots in it. I tossed it into the trash quickly, then washed my hands, then actually took a good look inside the bag and almost threw up myself!

There were tons of these white worms moving around in the food! The webs were everywhere. I will never again open another bag of pet food and put my hand and a scoop inside before looking at the food first. That was a big lesson for me. After reading some of these other reviews, I am just thankful that the first scoop of this tainted product didn't kill my cat! I would like a refund, but didn't keep my receipt!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I wish package was easier to identify... There should be a color code for age of dogs/breeds, for weight control, joint issues, etc. Also compare to other dog foods.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

When I was married my Siberian Huskies ate only Rice and Lamb Beneful. Back then they did not offer Blue Buffalo which I may have tried, or something more like natural foods on the market now. Purina Pet Foods is affordable for me on a fixed income but my choice would be better if I could afford it. I do give my dog the fruits and vegetables that he can enjoy as a snack.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

My dog has a very lean body, shiny coat and very happy all the time. I've tried different flavours when the usual flavour is not in stock. He likes them all!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have been feeding Pro Plan Focus Sport to my hunting dogs. Purina One to others and Pro Plan Focus puppy to my bred females and her puppies. I have been happy with the results for many years. Purina also supplies me with puppy folders to send home with my buyers. I also save all my weight circles and receive $7.00 off checks and this really helps. I just wish Purina was speedier in sending out the puppy packs and checks. They do not seem to be in a big hurry.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Purina was our original dog food and we were not happy. This last time we needed food I went to get it and found maggots on the bag. Needless to say I will never buy it again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have fed Purina Pro Plan for many years. I believe my dogs get a well rounded meal and that is what they thrive on. They have energy, glossy coats and love the food. I do not feel withholding grains as some do is good for any dogs as in the wild they eat stomach contents of grass eaters as well as organ meats and bones. Dumbing down their food is what I feel causes so many health issues.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Three pets, Two dogs and a cat having issues with allergies. Dogs losing weight and difficulty walking from weakness. Sir Lewis Cat's bottom lip repeated swelling. After switching brand all three were back to normal within six to eight weeks.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I buy the Purina Pro Plan grain-free for small breed and love it! I have a Westie w/ allergies. But many pet stores are always out of it or do not carry. It is hard to find in my area so I have to order it online from Amazon.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information

www.purina.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use