Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.54/5

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: March 12, 2020

After recently losing one of my kitties and having done over 2,500.00 in tests I still don't know what was the cause. I began Googling.... Found this site and all the complaints on Purina with similar to my experience in most of them. These complaints some of them starting in 2014 to just recently REALLY!!!! 6YRS and Purina is still getting away with poisoning our pets. I am a third generation Purina user, we always used their products with no problems but no more this company needs to be held accountable.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

After a week or so of feeding this product to my cat, all of these symptoms arised:

-scooting her butt on the floor leaving skid marks
        -extra stinky poops....like really bad
        -lethargy
        -weird stomach convulsions/belching
        -vomiting (she usually does when she eats to fast though so I overlooked it at first)
        -hair lost its shine

-heavy/strained breathing

I regret not buying a new product sooner. It's a damn shame that lower income/frugal people are unknowingly poisoning their animals at the hands of a large corporation. I'm putting my cats health first, and will be throwing away the remaining 3/4 full bag of Nestle owned toxicity.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I recently started feeding my dog the canned food and noticed he has terrible gas, runny and bloody stool. As I sit here and listen to his stomach tonight I decided to do a little research. Seems like this has been a known issue and nothing is being done. How disappointing and disgusting.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I have two cats, 7 years old. They have always like FF Grilled Chicken in Gravy. Over the last month they have both stopped eating it. It’s unusual, anyone else experiencing this? If they try to eat, they will throw up shortly afterwards.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

My 12 year old cat has always loved Friskies cat food, both canned and dry. But with the last two boxes of pate that I bought from Costco, she has had several bouts of vomiting. She has lost weight. Now she absolutely refuses to eat the fish varieties, Ocean Whitefish and Tuna, and Mariner's Catch. The expiration date on the cans is Sept 2021. The numbers are all different except for the digits 1159, which occur on all the cans. I'm going to talk to my vet about this food and see if they have any more information about it. There have been complaints on Facebook about Friskies with the numbers 1159. I always take FB posts with a grain of salt but I am now questioning the healthiness of Friskies pate. If something is wrong with this product, Purina should step up and recall it. Hills did it. They're still in business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

About two weeks ago, my cats stopped eating Fancy Feast canned and Fancy Feast broths. It's weird. Since so many others seem to be experiencing the same thing, I sent the link to these reviews to Purina at www.purina.com/how-can-we-help.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

We have an elderly cat and adopted a youngster (a year old) in December. To save some money we switched our canned cat food from Nature Balance to Friskies Pate and when I ordered a 24 pack from Amazon I discovered I had received a pate with extra gravy. It seemed like a bonus for our kitties! Specially since our Jake, the elderly cat, had also been receiving a Fancy Feast Broth every day to add extra liquid in his diet, which we could now eliminate. After a week or so Jake started going on vomiting spurts of about 3 days each, then they would stop. Last time he also got quite weak and was having trouble standing up. I was about to take him to the vet, but by the time I got home from the grocery store he seemed much improved.

This evening he started vomiting again and I started a Google search on Friskies canned food for cats to see what I could find out about this. What a surprise! I thought Friskies was a decent cat food and I trusted their reputation. I am terribly disappointed in them as a Corporation. I believe a company with integrity would be 1) Warn customers of this bad food 2) Issue a recall of the food 3) Provide refunds for food purchased 4) Reimburse vet bills. This is not something we have caused to happen to our furbabies, it is something that has been done to them through the negligence of a Corporation trying to save a few dollars.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I recently fed both my cats Friskies beef shreds, both my cats threw up within 10 min of eating it. My one cat got better within 24 hrs. My other cat continued to throw up for 3 days. I took him to the vet. She examined him & did blood work, his liver enzymes are elevated & he's dehydrated. He had to be put on medication. She said it was from the food. Several hundreds of dollars later, praying he'll recover. Friskies should be taken off the market!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Upon newly disclosed diabetes in one of my cats, other websites say, among others, stay that "Friskies Canned Cat Food" is an "acceptable" food, as it is low in carbohydrates, etc. But upon reading all of the reviews here, my cat would be in worse shape if she consumed it. Already went through the "foaming, pink, vomiting, hair loss, rash, exorbitant vet bills with one of my other cats, until I, myself, discovered that it was from "Fancy Feast Medleys"....The fact which I posted on that your website quite a few months ago, also seeing the similar complaints about THAT canned food. Can't a class action lawsuit be pursued in this matter?! What a despicable company that is allowed to get away with this (and cause undue misery) to pet owners...

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Though our golden retriever has been eating this food for 3 months he recently became ill. Vomiting and diarrhea and stopped eating this food. Lab and stool samples were unremarkable. Gave him boiled chicken and rice for one week plus anti- nausea med. It is very unusual for him to not like any food but he would not eat that food even after he was feeling better. Was willing to eat three other brands of food but will not touch the Pro Plan. I am very suspicious of the food and would alert anyone with food of the same batch. I too spent 500$ at vet, lost two bags of that food already purchased. Be aware!

Purina Pet Foods Company Information