Purina Pet Foods

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Found maggots in the food in three occasions. First time was towards the bottom of the bag. I gave the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe something had crawled inside the bag. I'm very clean but I live in an island (lots of bugs). Second time, I noticed the maggots when the bag was half way done. Rushed to the pet supermarket where I got it from, and decided to switch to a better brand (Nutro). In order to avoid my dog getting sick, I decided to buy just a 5 lb bag of the same Purina pro plan salmon blend and wean her off the right way by mixing it with the new food. Well, guess what I found once again on the second day?!? You guessed it... MAGGOTS!!! DO NOT FEED THIS ** To YOUR DOG!!! I initially got it because my dog has very sensitive skin ever since we rescue her. This never alleviated her skin issues anyways. This product should be called back, and taken off the shelves!!!

Within these 6 months I lost 3 cats, all between ages 7 and 8. All of them were born from different Momma cats and were initially adopted from different rescue groups. They were all absolutely healthy when they were adopted as kittens. All of them had 1 thing in common: I fed them Purina Fancy Feast all their lives.

I wasn't educated enough about potentially dangerous ingredients in commercial cat foods until now. The scary realization dawned onto me just a few days ago. I was so devastated with many recent losses. I just couldn't understand why all my cats were so unlucky health-wise to die at such a relatively young age? My mother-in-law had a cat who lived till 21 y.o. and other people I knew had cats for 17+ years. Why was I cursed to have such a short time with my cats whom I love unconditionally?

My cats had everything any cat could wish for. They even had a whole room in the house to themselves, that was their space, always clean, full of new toys, clean sleeping beds, cat trees, fresh wheat grass and fresh water at all the times. They never lacked anything. They were never placed at any pet hotels. We had trusted family members taking care of them if we had to take a short trip somewhere. In February I lost my beloved cat Baby Moose who died from renal failure. Baby Moose was only 8 years old. Then one of his former pals Alex, who after my divorce lived with my ex, died from the abdominal cancer at the age of 8. Alex was also fed exclusively with Fancy Feast. And in July I lost Baby Moose's biggest friend, my precious cat Bobby who died from abdominal cancer. Bobby was only 7 years old. I have only one cat left from my three sweet musketeers. And Lisa is very sick now too.

Now when I started thinking of all my cats I ever adopted, my first pet Max whom I had awhile ago also died young. He was only 7 years old and died from the abdominal cancer. I also fed him exclusively with Fancy Feast. It cannot be a coincidence or just a bad luck. 3 out 4 cats died at the age between 7 and 8 from the abdominal cancer. Even though the 4th one died from renal failure, he was again only 8 and he was fed exclusively Purina Fancy Feast.

After this horrific realization, I'm trying to prolong life of my only cat I have now. I immediately switched to other, more expensive brands and am extremely careful about the ingredients on the labels. I'm also planning on making meals for my sweet Lisa by myself. Even though the damage is done and at the age of 7 she has already serious health issues, switching her to a different diet made a huge improvement in her wellbeing. Although she is on meds, since the diet switch she is like a new cat, more energetic and playful. People, please, take a lesson from my unfortunate experience with Fancy Feast. Do your research and be careful what you feed your beloved furry kids. Their life is in your hands!

Our two cats have been acting sickly and sounding funny when they meow. We decided to bring a bowl of food upstairs to see if one of the cats would eat. After taking a bite, he got sick. Luckily the kids were paying close attention and discovered small worms in the food. This was a new bag of Purina Complete Cat Food, which was just opened recently. I was horrified to discover reviews from July 28 talking about the same issue. Do not buy this for your cats.

For the simple fact that I ended up with cancer myself and wasn't able to really do anything to be able to get other food besides what local stores carried, I 100% against my better judgment went with Friskies wet food and now have found mold growing off the wet food in hours. I currently have a can sealed open and a can free to the air recording the process. I'm so mad at myself especially after I lost a cat already to Purina indoor cat mix, I could spew fire right now. My cat is hacking and sneezing and I can almost guarantee it's because she's been eating mold.

Once I get proper documents I'm taking it to the BBB and a lawyer. I'm so sick of Purina killing animals, never never do it. Tell everyone you know. I've heard time and time again people's stories just like everyone's here. All with one thing in common - Purina. My cat passed away after all I could to save him from renal failure. He was perfectly fine and within a month had to be put to sleep not even. It's so sad and they don't care, not even enough to try and pay you off, don't give the time of day.

I bought 2 different bags of Purina One Smart Blend Lamb & Rice. There were small minute bugs crawling from the food in each bag and my Golden Retriever wouldn't eat it. But my Beagle Blue Tic Hound did and he was older and he got so sick from it diarrhea, eating grass to settle his stomach. His stomach was extended and so painful I couldn't touch it and we had to put him to sleep. But we didn't know it was from this food until a day after when I saw bugs in another new small bag.

If I knew that these bugs in this food I could have told my vet and we could have treated my Beagle BT Hound for parasites or larvae but it's too late. Now I have to take my Golden Retriever to the vet to be checked and treated. DON'T GIVE THIS BRAND OF DOG FOOD TO YOUR ANIMALS!!! I can't bring my dog back but I can warn others to not give this to your dogs. I expect a call from Purina regarding my loss of my dog and treatment for my golden!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

I changed my cat food to Purina Naturals Indoor formula about one year ago. I noticed two of my cats were not as playful as they once were. One WAS 7 and the other ONLY 5 years old. On June 1, 2017 I lost one of the two and JUST yesterday July 22, 2017 due to RENAL FAILURE!!! I couldn't even get my first cat to the vet. He was gone in three days. The second one WAS at the vet for 4 days. The vet let me take him home but his kidneys AND bladder were damaged and he passed away the next morning... so this is a WARNING to EVERYONE. DO NOT BUY PURINA INDOOR NATURALS CAT FOOD!!!

My niece's cat has kidney problems and has been acting strange. I read ingredients on bag of cat food and was horrified. The first ingredient is corn and corn gluten followed by chicken by-products. Also included is yellow dye 5 and 6 blue dye 2 and red dye 40 and the list goes on... Remember this is the seafood sensations... Ocean fish meal comes in as the seventh ingredient. REALLY???... Nowhere is there real ingredients. I called Purina and they answered stating they were pet lovers. They are not or they would not put these awful ingredients in their pet food. I immediately dumped remaining food out and went to the store and bought cat food with first ingredient of fish, no dyes. I am shocked and angry that a company still sells this toxic food.

I have purchased several bags of Purina Shreds dog food from Petco. All have contained moth larvae. At first I thought it was just a one time thing but after purchasing at least 5 bags of the same dog food they all have had the infestation of moth larvae. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have a gray male tabby with a sensitive stomach. I tried ScienceDiet, Iams, a few other "better" brands before settling on Purina One Gentle Digestive Formula (dry), supplemented with Purina One chicken or turkey pate (wet). This is food he can keep down, unlike many others. So the cat gets the last vote. If this were my vote, I would never go near Purina. First, they're owned by Nestle, one of the most evil companies in the world. Over the decades they've starved African children with their infant formula promotion in lesser developed countries and continued to pump water for bottling out of California during a massive drought.

But the week-to-week insult is their coupons that never seem to work. When I buy Purina One and pay for it, I get a coupon. So I scan one small can, then pay up so I can use the coupon on the other cans. Problem is, every week the coupon is different. If I have six cans, they require 12 to get a discount. If I have 12, they require 18. The store does not stock 18 of these cans, so that coupon is pointless. To date I never once have been able to actually use any of these coupons. The whole thing seems to be a scam, which would make sense coming from a Nestle company.

I understand that pet products are largely unregulated, so I don't expect a USDA stamp on cat food. I learned the hard way that the FDA does not regulate pet meds or topical treatments -- I had a sick cat, and the manufacturer thumbed its nose at me, noting that there is no oversight or law governing it. NOTE: If a vet ever tries to give you "prescription" food, be aware that there is no law regulating this either. "Prescription" food is designed to ensure healthy profits for the manufacturer (Hill's, for one) and the vet clinic alike. If the vet does not adhere to the manufacturer's rules, the product is pulled from that clinic.

I switched my six year old cat to Purina indoor cat formula about four months ago. He developed crystals in his bladder, which caused him to not be able to urinate. He died of kidney failure. Since then, several other people I know said they lost their cats the same way. Why does Purina continue to market a product that they know is dangerous to pets? Don't they care?

I used to buy Purina One occasionally for our 6 year old cat. He loved it but we noticed he was very very hyperactive after it. It was funny but we noticed it was a bit artificial when it happened every time he ate it. The sad thing is last Saturday he was excited as usual and my partner was rubbing him in the back in the garden and he was all happy in the sun. He turned for a moment and when he turned back the cat just stayed lying down. He actually just died there and then. No marks or anything he just stopped breathing. Needless to say we are still devastated and broken hearted. I am just wondering is there any connection to the hyperactivity. The vet said it was heart failure. It was so sudden we are still in shock. The there Taurine in that food and Taurine is dangerous.

Happened twice in 2 months! Noticed white spots on pieces of Purina one chicken and rice dog food. Then appeared little black bugs throughout the bag. Brought back to store. Just opened another bag 3 days ago - white spots again on pieces - now worms, maggots - throughout the bag! Disgusting. Store replaced and Purina had sent me coupons for previous bag. Will switch brands - never Purina again.

My dog was fine up to two days ago. I gave her a thong of Bella wet food as a treat. Immediately after eating it she started dry heaving, had bad gas and then came the uncontrollable diarrhea. She looks so sad. She 24 hours later she is not eating, drinking and cannot walk. She still has diarrhea and now vomiting. When I looked the food I fed her it had a little weird coloring but nothing alarming. Now I wish I went with my first instinct. I am trying to give her puppy milk a teaspoon at a time. She is a year and a half. But the milk has what she needs. Honestly, I would be surprised if she lives. I will never again buy and Purina product. She eats Nature's Recipe grain free puppy food the pumpkin and chicken. She loved this food and will not eat it as well since the wet food treat. I highly advise to stay clear of the Bella dog foods.

We use Purina lamb and rice for our 6 yr old lab mix. When I fed him this morning it was the end of the bag. As I was pouring it into his bowl I noticed moldy pieces of dog food. So moldy it was green and white. I did not feed it to him.

I too have seen vomiting from my ragdoll cat with the Temptations treats. I thought maybe it was hairball or sensitivity related. Upon reading reviews of others having similar experience I'm wondering if another recall is due? I recently purchased a bag of Purina One for my cats thinking it would be a better diet than the Purina Indoor they have been eating. Even though I mixed the two they suddenly won't eat either (?). Also noticed my dogs are refusing the Purina One Smartblend. Not to mention the amount of sick dogs seen at my local vet's office the last 2 weeks that have eaten Purina Milkbones, Carry Out, and Maro Bones. Can we say "Recall"?

So totally forgot to post this bit for all my friends that have puppy children. This is a fair warning to stay away from Purina products. I have 2 Chiweenies and a Pit Bull. My Pit has a very sensitive stomach and my Chiweenies sometimes get rashes depending on what they eat. So I went to Petco to see what they would recommend for them. We were recommended for Purina Pro Plan dog food.

The first bag last 2 weeks and it helped the Pit's belly. So I bought another 30lb bag for them. So tell me why I'm feeding them one day and I find so nasty brown worms on their bowl. I went and looked in the food I bought and long behold a bunch in there. Apparently it's a known issue with Purina because of their warehouse and they still haven't done anything about it after receiving so many complaints. When I went to Petco the employee confirmed it is a known thing and the worms are moth larvas and they try not to recommend that brand to customers. This is disgusting!

I purchased a giant bag of the Purina Beneful Healthy Puppy food and had heard such negative things about the food. So instead of wasting the money, I just slowly started weaning her off and starting her on Hill's Science Diet. Last night when pouring her food I noticed a metal object protruding from the kibble. Upon further inspection I cannot decipher what it is, but I can closely relate it to a heavy duty staple. I did contact the company, they are sending me prepaid postage to send them the metal object and "investigate" and are sending me COUPONS FOR MY NEXT PURCHASE.

Seriously. Why would I purchase more of this? The $2 savings on my next bag won't put a dent in the vet costs from the internal damage they could've caused. Not to mention, who knows how much of this I missed. Very poor quality control, shame on them. Pets are family, I know that our food isn't exactly of the highest quality, but why do pets need to be put in danger because of lack of caring in their food production. I am mortified.

Pouring out the dry cat food for my cat, I noticed mouldy (fuzzy/ furry) bits inside the bag coming out WITH the dried food. I don't know what they are but it is definitely not okay for my cat to eat or anyone's animal to eat. Best before date on bag says JUL 1017.

Purina is HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. Idk why they don't take Purina out of business or whatever! It's horrible. Why don't they do anything about it, why doesn't someone sue them? Don't they see people are having horrible experiences with this dog food. Killing many dogs and making dogs sick? Dogs lives matter too. My sisters dog her face was swollen and she was very sick. Luckily when we changed her dog food she got so much better. Good thing we didn't feed her any longer than a couple of days. Sheesh what don't they get? This doesn't even deserve not even one star.

Over the past couple of weeks my two cats have been sick on and off, resulting in two separate trips to the vet which is very expensive. Unsure of the cause of the sudden vomiting spells, I did not think that the food I have been feeding them consistently for two years could be the issue. This morning, however, while pouring the bottom batch of the bag into food bowl, a clump of food landed at the top. After worrying about what the clump really was, I was able to talk my boyfriend into dissecting it further for me. We still do not know what it is exactly but are totally grossed out by what we have found and angry to think about my cats suffering from simply eating their cat food. I plan on having it tested and discussing more with vet.

My Whippet got very sick a month ago and required vetting. After blood, urine and fecal lab test were performed, they couldn't find the reason she was so sick. So, I was weary of what could have caused her illness. I started spooning out the can dog food into a sterile jar to keep fresh after opening to store in the fridge. Today 4/3/17 I opened a new can and found plastic the size of a dime in the Whole Earth can dog food, same food I'd been feeding her when she got so ill. I called Merrick to report my finding the plastic. They apologized and wanted me to pay to return the evidence to them to look into the issue sounding unconcerned about the problem. I think this is what caused my dog to get so sick before. I took pictures and have saved the plastic. I will be talking to my vet to get counsel on how to proceed with this as it could be happening to many other pets as well.

Two months after I got my rescue dog I changed his food to Purina One Lamb and Rice Formula. He loves the taste. BUT he has had 3 seizures with vomiting in the last year that I have had him. I am beginning to think it may be the food since the vet can find no other explanation. To be fair I am his 4th owner and do not have his complete history but my gut instinct is to look at his food source. I am curious to see if any other dog owners have experienced this or any similar neurological issues with this food?

My Daughter today just had to put their family dog down. According to the Vet it was due to the dog food it was eating that gave the dog a Kidney stone as big as a baseball! To due surgery was out of their price range and he would not guarantee that it would not return within a week or a month or a year but this dog could not process your dog food. They thought they was buying good, healthy diet food for their pet. They had no Idea that it was so harmful. So needless to say their second grade daughter had no warning she was coming home to hear that her dog had to be put down at only having it for only 5yrs most of her young life and that also was the age of the dog it was gone. Something needs to be done with the food you are giving these animals with no warning on what damages they can cause and how tragic it can be on the family!!! Will definitely warn other people who have pets to be aware of Purina products.

Fed my 3 month old lab this for a month. Everything was fine in the beginning but after about 3 weeks she began have very loose stool. So loose that it was like puddy. We are switching to Wellness Complete Health puppy food to see if that helps her out. DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG THIS BRAND.

I buy 22 lbs. bags of Cat Chow Indoor food because I have several cats. In 4 months bought 3 bags and started up with Purina - MyPerkscatchow reward system. Well on the 22 lbs. bags I can never read the laser print codes that I can on the smaller bags. I've complained and was told to call a number. I did and was sent a survey via email. That was a couple of weeks ago and nothing since. Let's just say I gave them a very poor response in return. They won't give me the points I'm owed off the one UPC bag I had at the time let alone I've bought 3 in 4 months' time.

Purina customer service is very poor. And from what I've seen on Facebook, I'm not the only one complaining about Purina let alone from MyPerkscatchow.com. Oh and per 22 lb.=4,000 pts. and total 3 bags is 12,000 pts. I've yet to see on my account. Anyone else having this problem? Then after I call someone takes UPC # and name, sends survey, and after I answer survey I still don't get my points.

I'm very disappointed in the Purina Puppy Chow Tender & Crunchy. It made both of our bulldogs sick for 5 days. The bottom of the food in the bag made them sick. They weren't sick until we got to the bottom of the dog food. Need to find a great food for my American Bulldogs.

Worms, need I say more? The worms are actually inside the chunks of dog food. If you break them open, the worms come slithering out and nearly made me vomit. They claim it's coming from the warehouse and there is nothing they can do about it. Hmmm... you have worms in your warehouse and are not going to do anything about it? How did they get inside the food chunks? Yeah, no more for me.

As a caretaker of feral and stray cats I use this product almost everyday. Recently bought a 22lb bag from Tractor Supply and was mortified to find something looking like damp cloth buried in it together with maggots. I photographed it to show you but I threw the bag in the trash. I will not use this food again until I hear back from you and would certainly like a refund of the $13 I paid for it at Tractor Supply.

I had been looking for a cat food that didn't make my cat vomit shortly after eating. I spied the gentle formula on the shelf and decided to try it. It is very good. He doesn't vomit as often and not as much. I like the food for my cat very much.

I have a six year old cat and I have always given her Purina from the time she has been a kitten. I have always trusted Purina and went from kitten food to adult cat food. I like to give her the hairball treatment food.

Purina Pet Foods Company Profile