2.9/5 (3138 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2023

I've been feeding this food for years. Now, all of a sudden, my 6 cats will vomit after eating Purina One. I've had to return 2 bags to Wal-Mart now. No more. Irresponsible Purina and their incompetent factory workers are not going to kill my cats. I fed them Iams this morning with no issues and no vomiting. Thanks a lot Purina for letting us down. CLEAN UP YOUR ACT, PURINA. YOUR ENTIRE REPUTATION IS, ONCE AGAIN, AT STAKE!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

I have used Purina One cat food for years but the last bag I purchased had larvae in it. I found these things were hatching inside the bag. My cats had recently started throwing up and that's what made me examine the bag more closely.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I have used Purina One hairball formula for years. I recently noticed sewer flies in the area so after a thorough cleaning I thought it would be a good idea to pour the food into an airtight container. As soon as I opened the bag these little black moths were flying out! I then went to the pet store to buy more food and the salesperson told me that they had many complaints about moths in Purina One. I also came here and saw other people had posted. I will never buy Purina One again, I can only imagine what their mfg plant looks like. So sad they obviously don't care.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

After purchasing (24 count) 4 pallets of Fancy feast salmon pate, my cat began to lose weight, not eat and became lethargic. I took him to our veterinarian and he had high levels of calcium. The vet asked if I have been giving him supplements and I said no. Excess vitamin D can cause high levels of calcium. I decided to take him off of the Fancy feast and would give him anything he would eat at this point - Meow mix, not the best, but he eats it up. Amazingly he is 99% better and gaining weight back. Today I take him for his follow up appt and bloodwork. If his calcium levels are normal, then Purina should take this into consideration - you may have too much vitamin D in it.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I feed Gravy Lovers as a method to give my cats their daily **. It is the only reason they get it at all. Today I found a long white larva in the can. I tossed the whole can. Now I am concerned about the other cans in that case. I emailed Purina and sent them photos.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

We had to take run our cat to the Gainesville Emergency animal clinic. She stopped eating, throwing up and was totally lethargic, we thought she was going to die. We spent over $1000 and ended up bringing her home with special food. Slowly she started getting better. We then got two more cats and bought expensive food for the kitten and better food for the stray. Later we switched to Friskies pate food for all of them. The cats got diarrhea and started throwing up. We thought they caught something and took them to the vet. Hundreds of dollars later, the cats were still throwing up and one had horrible diarrhea. Back to the vet. We somehow looked up friskies pate on the web and consumers affairs. To our horror, a LOT of people were having this problem and purina knows about it.

They do nothing except say it is not true. Also, it is just not the pate food, but other food as well. I wish we could all sue Purina for all the pain they have caused everyone with some even losing their pets. We have switched away from Purina and the cats are fine, no more throw up, diarrhea and refusing to eat. We will never buy Purina again in any form, maybe they can take their big profit and pay us all back for our expensive vet bills and losing our pets. What a loser company.

Original review: April 29, 2022

Since the new 'improved' recipe I have had to take my cat off AGaiL, Soups and dried food. It was giving all 3 of my cats diarrhea and sickness. As soon as I stopped they improved. So annoying as they only like gravy and few other options especially with the meat texture.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Though I have tried other brands of dog food, I always find myself going back to Purina brand. Every store carries this brand and the price and quality are comparable, if not better to other brands.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I've had cats turn their noses up at other name brands, but both of my cats and a few neighborhood visitors seem to love this stuff. I even put a large bowl for raccoons each night, and they come up on my deck (often up to four at a time!) and eat it clean. It's also very reasonably priced.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I have been using Purina dog food for my golden retriever since she was a puppy and I really enjoyed how much she loved the food. Once she turned 1 year’s old, I began giving her the adult Purina Pro Plan. Two months ago, she stopped eating her dog food, upon smelling the food we believed it was bad due to the foul smell. We had bought the largest bag at our local pet store and thought maybe they had not gotten rid of the expired bags. One month ago, we had a medium size bag of food. Again, after a week from purchase my dog stopped eating the food. We also began to find maggots around our apartment, with no clue how we could have gotten these insects into our living space.

To our disappointment we eventually found that the maggots were in my dog’s food container and had spread to our kitchen and bedroom where we would feed our dog. We spent hours cleaning our apartment disgusted that she had maggots in her food that had gone unnoticed by us. Even more, we were disgusted that we now had a ton of maggots turning into moths in our apartment. We looked online and the Purina brand comes up with having maggots in food on several occasions. However, we thought this was the best food for our dog, so we kept buying it. We changed to a different local store thinking that would solve the problem. This past week my dog again stopped eating her food and this bag smells fine and is obviously different than the one that previously had maggots.

After multiple attempts to get her to eat it we caved and bought another bag of Purina food. This one was a different flavor and it was the smallest bag at the store. My husband opened it to find it infested with maggots and moths. He closed the bag and took it back to the store furious. Our local Pet Smart stated it is an issue with Purina's manufacturing and packaging. I am still finding maggots and new moths to this day in areas in my kitchen where I do not usually look or use, such as the top food cabinet that I need a chair to get to. We have spent more time trying to eliminate them after the original incident occurred more than 1 month ago. We have found moths in our food packages and this is inexcusable to me. I will never buy Purina food again. The lack of attention to detail and poor hygiene at their place of operation repulses me. No one should have to deal with this and it is a shame that we are still heaping the repercussions of buying your their food.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information