2.53/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1436 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have 2 Maine coon cats and have had problems with both of them constantly throwing up. Their diet has been Friskies Beef in Gravy, Turkey and cheese in gravy, salmon in gravy and turkey and giblets in gravy. On the evening of October 9, 2018 my female let out a loud yowl and threw up. Second time she threw up it was like a brown pudding substance. 2 days went by and she refused to eat acting normal drinking etc. but would not eat. Went to vet and found nothing wrong even had blood work done. After (9) days of refusing to eat the vet started her on rebound. She still refused to eat. The vet gave me a free can of HILLS to try her on. I came home placed some FRISKIES salmon on 1 side and the HILLS on the other.

She sniffed the salmon but SHE ATE all of the HILLS and licked the dish clean wanting more. I started feeding her a teaspoon of the Hills every half hour and within 1 day she ate the whole can. Today she comes and asks for her small feedings. Last evening I searched for any recalls on Friskies and ran across this site. When I read the 1157, 1159, and 1161 #'s I checked the cans I had. LO and BEHOLD every one of my cans had those #'s, so Walmart here I come tomorrow. My cat was clearly telling me the FRISKIES was not safe for them to be eating. She would have died before she would eat that FRISKIES. And before anyone asks, NO she is not vomiting after eating and neither is my male cat.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Purina One is the only dog food that my dog seems to like. However, I am noticing that whenever he eats, he makes a squealing noise. He never makes that noise otherwise. Has anyone else experienced this?

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I bought a bag of Purina Beneful Originals with beef yesterday and opened it today (Canadian Thanksgiving). As I was putting some into my dog's bowl I noticed a couple small flies and then some larva. I then poured the bag into a clear container and noticed live flies, dead flies and many larva which were loose and stuck on the food, I was so sickened, I could not even eat my dinner, let alone feed my pets any dry food. Will never buy again!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I recently received a bag of dog food from a pet supply store that had mold in it. I expressed my concern to Purina and they immediately addressed the situation and got all the details and sent me out coupons to use towards future dog food. The store I purchased the food from already gave me a refund but Purina went above and beyond and still sent me coupons! :)

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

So on Saturday September 29, 2018 I bought Purina Beneful original beef dry dog food (vet recommended) for my dogs to see how they would do. I have one that began shedding horribly and another that was vomiting and acting unwell and has a nasty skin infection on his chest armpit area. I did notify Purina as all this took place in less than 24 hours after they ate it. I will not be feeding Beneful again... Most of my dogs did enjoy eating this food but 2 of them actually refused to touch it...so we need to convince Purina to pull this food from the shelves and literally go over every ingredient with a fine toothed comb and look for mistakes. Remember we are supposed to trust these companies when it comes to feeding our dogs if 1 dog gets sick that's too many.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

In the past year certain cats that I have rescued from poor circumstances have come to me with an apparent food intolerance for all dry foods, and for any canned foods that contain carbohydrates or fish. The symptom is diarrhea. It begins suddenly as soon as they ingest an offending food, and it stops immediately as soon as they are given food that does not trigger diarrhea. Extensive stool testing reveals in no causes for the diarrhea. It seems to result only from their dietary limitations.

The single factor I have isolated that is held in common with those having this symptom is that they were previously free-fed on Purina Complete dry food for cats. They had become addicted to it and did not want to change to eating canned food without a great deal of struggle on my part. Other cats in the household are not affected. The problem does not appear to be contagious. My suspicion is that an over-exposure to some ingredients or contamination in Purina Complete has caused their food allergy or intolerance for all carbohydrates and fish. It does not resolve in the time I have cared for them. Can proper research be done to duplicate or verify the possibility that this can happen to cats subjected to this food that is apparently of very poor quality and perhaps contaminated by unknown ingredients?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Since I've rescued my darling Jenna in November 2015, she's been on Purina One dry food. Today I reached on the bottom 3/4 of the bag to from her bowl and found a piece of metal sticking out. I poured into her food bowl and was amazed by the size of it! I have always had Purina with all my dogs (3 in total) and was shocked and scared. I'm worried she may have eaten smaller pieces I didn't see. I wrote Purina immediately and I'm awaiting their response.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have Australian Cattle Dogs. They belong to the AKC herding group and are a smart, high energy dog. I do show them in performance events. These dogs need a good high source of protein to go the distance. ProPlan is the perfect kibble for them. I have been feeding Purina for YEARS... and have never had a problem. All of my dogs lived long and healthy lives. I would not feed anything else.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

My cats are very sick with an unknown parasite infestation, and so am I. This has been going on for me for almost a year, and for Macy much longer. I have had numerous trips to the doctor and ER desperate for help and the unbearable pain I eventually had in my head, neck, ears (I have blood on Q-tip after cleaning my ears), and chest-abdomen. Called Purina to warn them about their products back in May and told them about this website as proof of big trouble. They thanked me at first for the information, and I will leave it at that. I truly do not know how they can sleep at night, and pray for their souls when they have to enter into the next life. It won't be good.

To make a long most horrible story short, please keep close tabs on your own health. I am oh so sorry for pain and loss all of you who have had endure the experience the loss and suffering of your beloved furry family members, I know first hand the suffering they endured. As of now, I am on my fourth antibiotic treatment and have another appointment this week. Also, Jo Jo threw up a puddle of bile filled with parasites that I took to the vet in order to find out what this very dangerous "genius" is along with the enormous hairballs full of sesame seed shaped (eggs?) larva Macy has expelled and vomit that looks like red, brown, black, white grains of sand that sometimes has larger black "rectangles" and red oval "entities". Please keep a close eye on your children and self, will let everyone know results this week from Dr.'s visit. Blessings to all and good luck.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Our two cats have been eating Fancy Feast dry cat food for several years. I alternate between the fish and chicken flavors, which are their favorites. They have both been voracious eaters of the food until recently. A few days ago they were throwing up the food from a new bag of fish-flavored Fancy Feast and then refusing to eat. I thought that maybe there was something wrong with that particular bag, so I purchased a bag of the poultry-flavored Fancy Feast and had the same problem. Today I gave them a different brand of cat food from another manufacturer, and they both ate with no problems. Something is very wrong with the latest batches of Fancy Feast that I purchased, and I no longer trust the manufacturer enough to purchase any of their cat foods.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

So, I had a senior chihuahua who had lost most of his teeth I ran out of his normal canned food and was at Walmart and decided to get him some Purina Alpo canned food. The first few times I tried to feed it to him he refused to eat it. Not like him. He likes to eat! He literally gummed the hard food to avoid this canned food but I kept trying thinking he was being picky. Eventually, after multiple tries I got him to eat some it was a small amount but he did eat it. Afterwards I did notice he threw up a few times but I didn’t put two and two together. The very next time of getting him to eat it he actually ate it ALL. He may have been an old little guy but he was still spunky and playful and hanging in there. However, that night after I had given him the food that he finished, he began to breathe funny. It was rapid and like he was hot but it wasn’t hot at all but I left my door open to circulate the air just in case.

Then at bedtime he refused to eat his bedtime treat which he was always excited for. I wasn’t sure what was going on. He seemed anxious and his breathing became very rapid. I sat on the floor with him and he wanted me to let his head like normal. Anyways, after several hours and long sad story short he passed away in my arms. It was an extremely traumatic experience. I’m gutted. At first I thought it was just his time but I realized he was fine until he ate so I looked into the food I fed him and I’m not happy with what I am seeing. I feel so guilty that I fed him this crap that a I am now sure killed him. I am almost certain it was this food. He was fine until he ate a full serving. It’s not worth the risk do not feed you dogs this food. My heart is beyond broken, I don’t want to see another fur baby owner lose their beloved pet! This stuff should be removed from shelves period!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Waggin Train by Purina - Bought these treats (Chicken and apple wrap) at Walmart yesterday and gave one to my pup in the evening. Besides these he hadn't eaten since the morning because I was at work. Within hours he began panting and shaking really badly in spite of the cool air, then he vomited the treat up. After that he continued to vomit white foam and had an accident in the house for the first time ever. It was very runny and he was in a lot of pain. My baby is current on all vaccines and was completely healthy until this awful poisonous product.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My 11 year old Dachshund started eating Purina Pro recently. She is overweight. All of a sudden, she wants to play ball and run around! What did you add to this food? She is just like that dog in the commercial. Still fat too.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I changed his cat food thinking he'd like fish taste and he did for awhile till he started barfing it up. I immediately switched back to the regular food that's made for Indoor cats (Purina Cat Chow Indoor). Fish makes his tummy hurt.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Waggin' Train chicken jerky tenders - I’ve been giving our German Shepherd these treats for twenty days. Two days ago she stopped eating And last night severe diarrhea and vomiting came on! Her liver enzymes and white blood cell count were high! Thank gosh I saw the reviews! On a ton of meds. Poor baby. The treats are poison! Four hundred and thirteen dollars later! I’m so disgusted that this treat is on the market after numerous complaints have been lodged!

Original review: June 26, 2018

Purina Fancy Feast doesn't offer a lot of dinners to choose from. I pick the kind with the gravy mixes as I don't care for the pate mixes. I have had my cat try the food.

Original review: June 25, 2018

My cats ate it back in 2007, they all began vomiting, so sick. I didn't know what was wrong. Took them to the vet, they weren't sure, Blackkitty died, the rest sick. Masie lost a lot of teeth from vomiting bile. I was telling my cousin about it, her cats were doing the same thing, I began to research it and found similar complaints and stopped the food. Within a day my cats were eating. NO vomiting. I screwed up and accidentally bought Mornings by Purina, my cat MOUTH died 3 days after eating it. Purina is made in the Global Marketplace which when pinned down on the phone, the lady admitted China. God knows what is in that food. I have seen pictures of plastic, worms, mold, bits of unknown materials, you name it. I will never feed my cats Purina again, it's written on their charts at the vets. NEVER feed that to them if they are there.

Original review: June 24, 2018

My cats enjoy the Purina Fancy Feast Medley and the Gravy Lovers varieties! It's their favorite and when I switch up and give them something different they get mad at me!

Original review: June 23, 2018

Although Fancy Feast has a lot of variety, my cat is finicky and only likes the pate. It could be that she's aging and it's easier for her to eat. She also only prefers seafood over more traditional varieties like chicken, turkey and beef.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Gentle formula for my older kitty and Purina Indoor for my second kitty. My kitties enjoy the variety of flavors. Mostly they prefer the pate flavors/consistency. They also eat Purina cereals.

Original review: June 17, 2018

My 15 yr & 5 yr old cats have been eating Fancy Feast wet & dry food all their lives and have both gotten violently ill recently after eating it. Changed brands & no more throwing up but am having a hard time find a replacement they like.

Original review: June 15, 2018

When I got a kitten almost two years ago, my Mom told me she always used Fancy Feast so as my kitten's wet food I got Fancy Feast. My cat would vomit all the non fish flavors and with the fish flavors he will eat the first half but will not eat the rest of the can a few hours later. I have given it cold out of the fridge, room temp and it doesn’t matter. He refuses to eat it. FF must have changed the formula as this never happened before. I am growing increasing afraid to feed this once reliable brand.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have had my 15 yr old cat on Purina Fancy Feast for years, and he loves it. He loves the pate...he has a sensitive digestive problem so the pate is great for him and he has no troubles.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My cat has always ate a variety Fancy Feast canned flavors. These days he prefers tuna and shrimp, tuna, and trout flaked only. He never cared for dry food.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have a cat that has some health issues and lost almost all her fur at one point. We spent hundreds of dollars at the vet and specialty foods to try to help her. After trying Purina Naturals indoor formula - blue label, with chicken & turkey - my cat miraculously healed! This food was not the most expensive nor the least, but did the trick. Only the blue label indoor formula worked for my cat. I'm grateful for this product - especially after trying many expensive organic brands and science diet - nothing worked, but the Purina Naturals indoor formula - blue label. If anyone else is having allergy issues with their cat and if it's losing fur along with having rashes - I recommend giving Purina Naturals indoor formula a try. It worked for us!

Original review: June 9, 2018

We have ten cats and feed them all grain free cat food. I bought my first bag of Purina because I liked the name True Instinct. All ten of our cats vomited all night, and some the next morning as well. But our beloved Captain Hook vomited blood and died the very next morning. We have kept the almost full bag in our refrigerator waiting to get it tested... But how and where do we go? We live in Rock Island County, the state of Illinois. We miss Captain Hook dearly!

Original review: May 28, 2018

Purina One Sensitive Systems - If I could give it 0 stars I would. I had been feeding my poor cat Purina for years and over the past couple of months she started vomiting every single day on my carpet. That’s not fun to clean up and it leaves stains. It costs money to get those stains out Purina! Thanks a lot! I thought that maybe she was eating too fast so I tried a puzzle bowl, giving her small portions throughout the day and also tried spreading her food out on a large mat. None of that worked. Then I thought that maybe she wasn’t chewing it well enough so I tried the canned version, she still threw up and ended up with diarrhea too. Then I tried just wetting her dry food a little just to make it softer and she still threw it up. Nothing helped.

So I ended coming across these reviews about other people having the same issues with their poor kitties so I decided to change her food. She hasn’t thrown up once in the past two weeks since I changed brands. My dogs have been ok on Purina but I won’t be taking my chances so I’ll be finding another brand for them too. Purina, you really need to fix whatever is going on with your food. There’s obviously something very wrong.

Original review: May 14, 2018

For years been feeding my cat Purina One food and now he developed diabetes. Avoid this food at all costs. My cats threw up all the time and I thought was from eating too fast, but the real cause was this poorly made food. It is horrible to poke your cat with insulin twice a day and costing us thousands of dollars now to keep him alive. Don't buy this awful food, feed your pets grain free foods from other brands.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My dog is a rescue so I had little way of knowing her eating habits. I tried the shelter dog food brand and she just wasn't happy with it. Loose bowel movements all the time. I switched to Purina and what a change. She perked up, became much stronger, put some weight on. She looks forward to feeding time. She seems so much happier now and more content.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My cat Macy started having issues several months ago, she had stopped eating and started losing weight. Vomiting more often than the occasional hairball, she also appeared to lose her balance and "spark". We have always fed our cats Purina Beyond Chicken and Oats because I thought she might have a food allergy to rice, and Friskies wet food without an issue for years. We took her to the Vet Feb. 8 2018 thinking the worst. They took X-rays and blood (thyroid, cancer, feline leukemia, AIDS), but they found nothing wrong. They gave her something to stimulate her appetite and high pro food from the Vet, we thought problem solved.

I noticed both of our cats would not eat their food anymore, and started to research. That led me to this website. Macy is still having major issues and is not in good health, she is much older than Jo-Jo (our other cat that lost fur in clumps at the same time), and I am afraid for her life. I have saved samples of her vomit (at times projectile) and the food we bought to have analyzed at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, Ca. where we live. I will share my findings.

I am very sorry for anyone who has lost their pet because of this. Something is very wrong with Purina pet food, we switched to Rachel Ray dry and are trying out various wet food from Pet Co. Appetite better, but Macy is still not the same. We also use to feed them Purina Denti-life treats, they stopped eating those around the same time. Have samples of all to be investigated.

Updated on 06/20/2018: Has anyone else had an issue of a possible parasitic infestation in them also? I believe this is a case of "Animal Digest" gone wrong. Also, our house has become infested with "insects I have never before. Purina has started a claim for me and has wanted to close it as fast as possible. I believe this to be connected to not only Purina, but all or most of all Nestle' products. Almost ate a bug in Lean Cusine.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information