1.53/5
  • 1 star
Based on 78 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 5, 2017

1296 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I just purchased a brand new, unopened bag of Purina Cat Chow "Complete" at PetSmart. When I opened the bag and scooped out some to put in my cat's food dish, I thought it smelled very pungent. But I didn't look inside. I was in a hurry. My cat ate all the food and seemed unaffected. The next day, I scooped out some more, but this time, I noticed something like webs on my hand and the scoop, and the pet food had tiny white maggots in it. I tossed it into the trash quickly, then washed my hands, then actually took a good look inside the bag and almost threw up myself!

There were tons of these white worms moving around in the food! The webs were everywhere. I will never again open another bag of pet food and put my hand and a scoop inside before looking at the food first. That was a big lesson for me. After reading some of these other reviews, I am just thankful that the first scoop of this tainted product didn't kill my cat! I would like a refund, but didn't keep my receipt!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Started feeding my cats Purina One grain-free cat food. Within a few days, all 4 of my cats started vomiting. At first, I thought it was just hairballs. That was until they started vomiting blood. Upon taking them to the vet, I was told their cat food had caused them to get sick & gave them ulcers in their stomach. I am so angry! How can this be sold? Absolutely ridiculous. I will never feed Purina to another animal.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My cat loved the taste of this cat food. But by the time we realized he was sick it was too late for him. His body broke down a week before Thanksgiving. He begin to urinate blood. Stopped eating and drinking water. He just died. I believe this food contributed to this factor as this is the only food we fed him.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I purchased this food to try and switch to a lower cost option food for both my 1 year old pit bulls. Over the course of two days, I mixed the old food with this product to reduce normal GI upset when switching brands. Within 24 hours one of my dogs began vomiting all his food up. I thought maybe it would just take time to “adjust” to the new food since my other dog had no signs of trouble. The next morning I found my dog dead in his cage. My second dog began vomiting that same morning. I stopped the food, of course, and then had to take him to the vet also. My two young healthy dogs were fine prior to starting this cheap food and should’ve kept them on their normal brand. Poison in a bag. I would’ve given this zero stars if I were able. Awful product. Do not purchase this!!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I would like to file a complaint. I bought a bag of Purina Cat Chow a few weeks ago from Walmart in Brockville, Ontario. I have found clumps of food. The smells was also very off and my cat has been getting sick. We have discarded the rest.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I bought your product for my dogs and well my cats too. (The cats love dog food. They weird that way. And I love them). After one damned day of all my babies eating this shot I came home and found every last one of them vomiting all over my house. Now I have two cats that have blood in their puke and won't eat or drink. Me and my kids are decorated. I can't sits to take them to a vet and these are not just animals to me. They are babies. So someone better call me because I will be calling you. I am a very pissed customer. Our pets have rights. The right to eat a healthy food that isn't going to kill them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I usually buy Bella or Caesar wet dog food for my Yorkies... today I was feeding them a Bella wet dog tray & inside was some small white dots clumped together... upon investigation I found the meat it was on is HARD... I am glad I seen this BEFORE my babies ate it!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I recently tried Purina cat litter. I think it was the non clumping kind. It was by far the ABSOLUTE WORST product I have ever used. It turned the bottom of the cat box into the grossest, hardest to remove garbage that I have ever encountered. Cleaning the cat box is already the worst chore of the week. This product makes it exponentially WORSE. I had to use a garden claw tool to scrape the goop out of the cat box. It was so thick, it broke the gardening claw. Then I got out the pressure washer. It took me 20 minutes with a pressure washer to get the remnants of the cat litter out of the box. This ** is unlike anything you've ever seen. A cross between cement and God knows what. And GROSS! I will NEVER use this product again. I'll go back to FELINE PINE. That stuff swells up like nobody's business, but at least you can clean it out of the cat box at the end of the week without a total GROSS OUT!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

We have been purchasing Purina Naturals cat food for 3 years and never had a problem. Friday Nov 10 2017 I emptied the bottom of the bag into the cat food canister. The 3 cats and 1 dog who likes to sneak midnight snacks became SO sick the next day. I have never seen my dog so sick. She looks and acts as if she has been poisoned. I will never buy Purina again.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Last year we had a moth infestation, didn't think much of it, it happens. It was in our bag of Friskies Indoor Dry Cat Food (Garden Greens, specifically). We thought the moths came from outside and infected the food, so I bought an airtight container and kept the dry food in there after getting rid of the infected dry food and buying a fresh bag. Had no problems until last month, same moths started showing up. It drove my husband and I crazy trying to figure out where these moths were coming from. We kept checking the cat food, nope, so I poured the unopened new bag into the container.

Last night, a few days later, I went to pour my cat some dry food and moths come flying out. It was literally a brand new bag that I opened and put into my EMPTY airtight plastic container. The only place those moths could have come from was that food. They must have been sneaking out through a hole in the bag, so we didn't see very many at first, but boy were they obvious once I poured the cat food last night...

Upon searching Google for answers, apparently it's not uncommon to find bugs and moths in your pet's dry food - they can infect the bags in warehouse storage and other places. But I've owned cats my entire 27 years of being alive, and I've never had a problem with bugs in my pet's food until I started buying Friskies. I only swapped to that food about a year ago for the "indoor" garden greens since my cat loves to eat grass. And while the moths/larvae are likely harmless to my cat, I don't like having the moths in my house since they can infest other dry good like flour, oatmeal, etc. Threw the whole bag out, and I'm going to switch to a different dry food.

I'm shocked to see how many other complaints there are about bug infestations in Purina foods, especially in the last few months. Clearly the company is doing SOMETHING wrong, and whatever it is they need to figure it out fast because they've lost another customer and will continue to lose their reputation. I will warn my friends with pets not to buy Purina brand unless the problem is fixed. One time I can forgive, but it's happened to me twice, and based on all the other comments I'm seeing here, it's not a simple fluke.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

So we just bought a bag of Purina Alpo Prime Cuts. Poured the bag of dog food in a sealed container, and some in the dog's dish. I was cooking dinner, and noticed my dog puking. I then look at her food, and noticed white worms. I then checked the bag that I threw out in the garbage and noticed webbing and more worms. I dropped the bag & puked... Yuck... I’m so disgusted right now. I need to take my dog to the vet, I hope she going to be ok. She’s laying down right now... And doesn’t even want to get up to have a treat. I can tell she’s really sick... And I’m scared.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Kittens were fine until they were adopted out and the owner fed them canned Friskies. They had bloody diarrhea after eating it. The vet check found no parasites. Changed their canned food to Nulo medallion series and diarrhea stopped immediately.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

In the spring of 2017, we bought a large bag of Purina Little Bites. After using part of the bag, we found what appeared to be cobwebs in the bag. Not long after that, we began finding maggots in the bag, so I sealed it as tightly as I could, to protect the contents from contamination, assuming Purina would want it back to find the source of the problem. I then notified Purina on their website, and bought a new bag of the same product. I assumed that it was a one-time event, based on over 50 years of being a Purina customer.

My "response" from Purina's "customer service" department, was "thank you, we are looking into this and will respond in 48 hours." After several weeks with no response, I wrote to Purina's president. STILL no response. After a month, I wrote another letter, which said, basically, "shame on you." Someone from their "customer service" department finally contacted me and gave me a bunch of excuses. It was MY idea to return the product to them so they could analyze the contents. I have no idea what they did with it when they received it.

This summer, another bag of the same product showed up with the same problem. Again, I sent Purina a complaint on their website. Again, I received the same crappy response. Again, I got no timely reply, in spite of their "48 hour" promise. Last month, I again wrote to the president, who has yet to reply. After 50 years of being a loyal customer, small though I am, it is clear that Purina/Nestle doesn't care about the welfare of their customers or their pets. I have stopped buying ANY Purina or Nestle product. Who knows what else is in their products!!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I never loved Purina but thought their higher end brand would be okay... WRONG. If you are feeding your dog Purina ONE Bright Mind, you may want to take a look in the bag. I thought I would try it for my picky Doberman who decided she didn't like her food anymore. First bag I bought I returned thinking it just went bad seeing as the due date was getting close... It looked it like it was full of weird spider webs. I took it back and got a new bag. Two days later I went to take and scoop out and see a little web again... and then a nasty... alive and moving. Two completely different due dates, second bag was not until sometime in 2018. Bought at PetSmart Whitby who were completely apologetic and refunded me. They said they were taking all bags off the shelf.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I noticed my 5-month-old mastiff/pit was not eating her food. These were 2 bags of brand new food (Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice and pro puppy food) purchased at Petsmart. Sealed in plastic containers. While scoping out her food I noticed white maggots sticking to the scoop. Upon further detection the entire tub had these white maggots as well as grain beetles and moths. Disgusting! I will not be feeding my growing puppy this. I'm also hoping these bugs did not hurt her intestines, which we are having checked today. Very disappointed Purina!??

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I purchased some Kit and Kaboodle dry cat food for my home in-door cats, and they became sick soon after. They were unable to keep food down and were throwing up bright red food. I quickly switched to a different kind. I will say that while this was a Purina Brand, once I switched to Purina Indoor in the blue bag the issue stopped. Recently I went on vacation and in my absence, the office purchased Kit & Kaboodle for the office cat. When I returned the cat was sick, throwing up - just like my home cats. She has been lethargic for the last three days, and just recently started eating again. I would avoid this food if you can. Three kits - in two different homes, at two different times, both got sick after eating this food.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

On several occasions, I have received poor quality cat food, large chunks that cats can choke on and dark color nuggets that the cats don't like. When I contacted Purina, they sent me coupons that DON'T WORK. When I contacted them again, I was told to "try another store." DON'T BUY PURINA!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

So yeah, white maggots and moths in food I just purchased a week ago from local store (2 bags) in northwest Ohio and 1 from chewy.com I have yet to check. Figured since I stocked up this would happen. Time to find another brand after reading about Purina on here. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

My dog refused many times to eat this food but I never thought THIS food could be the reason as PURINA is the reputable brand until luckily my kid discovered brown worms in the food. I had purchased it online (WALMART) in last month and discovered worms today i.e. September 22' 2017. I don't know how long they have been there, and I am worried that my dog have eaten some of them, and I have no way of knowing how many because they were almost invisible in his food (as same color) and I could have overlooked them for a while. I am not sure if this type of worm the kind that can damage dog's intestines? Is the interceptor enough, or should we take our dog to the vet to eradicate any worms he may have eaten? I am just concerned... Now when I started thinking of why my dog vomit often plus why he lost appetite. LESSON LEARNT. People DO NOT BUY Purina ONE SmartBlend Lamb & Rice Formula.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I've been buying Purina Indoor Cat Food for my fur baby for quite a while, and haven't had any complaints about it until now. I found small moths and moth larva in the cat food container. I cleaned the container with hot water and bleach. I bought a large sealed plastic bowl for the cat food and bought a new bag thinking that maybe it was just a fluke. WRONG! I found moth larva in the cat's dish today, and have had these little moths flying around the house.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I was horrified to see there were tiny worms in my cat food bowls today. I've never really inspected the bowls but today it was empty and they were obvious in the dark bowl. Normally they still have a little food left and I just top them off. I inspected the bag and sure enough there were thousands in the giant bag I JUST purchased. I'm now having to take two cats to the vet to make sure they are ok. So mad right now!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I can't believe I found bugs and larvae on one of Purina Dog Food bag. What is most shocking is found several people with the same problem! I will never buy this food again, and I hope Purina recalls its food. Bugs found inside a bag of Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Dog Food - Salmon & Rice.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I purchased a bag of Purina One Cat Food, a bag of Beneful dog food and a bag of Meow Mix cat food. All from different stores a few months apart. Each bag had moths and larvae inside. We didn't notice it at first and our youngest cat began throwing up and became lethargic. We inspected the Purina 1 bag and threw it out after finding moths. That day we opened the Beneful dog food for the first time and the Meow Mix and both were filled with larvae and moths. We will never buy Purina brands again!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Several months ago I joined the Cat Perks program as I am a loyal Purina customer and thought it would be great to get some "free" stuff for my cats. I have seven cats that are all rescues. Seven cats can be a financial burden - vet bills, feeding, etc. So I thought the Cat Perks would let me put the points to work. However, it seems that Purina wants my loyalty, but they give little back in return. They allow a maximum of 6500 points per month. A 13lb bag of the Purina Naturals is worth 3000 points and the 18lb bag is worth 3500 points. I usually buy 2 or 3 18lb bags per month. Each month I have points that I am unable to use. They have rewards such as iPads, Dyson vacuums, etc. that require 1,000,000 points, but it would take about 13 years to accumulate that many points. Really not worth the effort!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

12 Aug 2017 bought these treats for my Beagle, on 14 Aug he was very sick, throwing up, diarrhea, lethargic, heavy breathing. Took to vet on Monday, 14 Aug 2017. No blood work. No X-rays. Misdiagnosed with arthritis in hips. Given Carprofen injection in hip. Over the next few days our dogs' appetite diminished. We were told it was from the Carprofen. By Saturday, he was not eating. By Sunday, 20 Aug 2017, he had stopped urinating. Foul odor from breath. Vets office opened at 7:00 am on the 21st. We were there at 6:45 am. Vet examined him and said not to be surprised if he didn't have a liver mass, that he needed to admit him and give him an IV, a catheter, blood work, and chest X-ray. I told the vet that I'd wait, and he told me no, that he'd call me.

At 11:30 am, I called to see how he was feeling. I was told he was resting comfortably and doing well. At 1:30 pm, the vet called me to tell me my dog had a mass in his left lung, and that the blood work would not be available until overnight while they were closed. He told me to pick him up at 5:30 pm and bring him back first thing the following morning. We got to the vet's office at 5:25 pm. When the tech brought my dog to us, he was unable to stand and did not respond to me or my wife in any manner. We left and decided to take him to another animal hospital that had 24 hour care. Called our vet to have them send his records. Our dog passed away in my wife's' arms just as we got there. CPR restarted his heart once, then stopped. Injection to restart his heart failed. Need to also state that I had 2 dogs, this Beagle and a Coonhound. The Coonhound is a bigger dog. He got sick off these treats as well and has recovered.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Well, when I first noticed in my dog food what appeared to be paper, I thought maybe it was just a small processing error and didn't think much of it. As we get further thru the dog food bag, it became more prominent and then I started noticing small moths and moth larvae (or worms... whatever it is). Now I'm thinking the paper I found in the bag was larvae webbing or what have you, and now have been killing tiny moths all over my house. This product and company name seems to be tainted.

Since their main client is an animal, which doesn't have a voice and/or can't complain publicly, they haven't and appears they won't correct the problem... Most likely since it will be a heavy all encompassing recall across many products, both cat and dog. Their main website homepage even says "Discover how far we go to ensure your pets get the best nutrition." Oh... I've discovered alright... and my poor dogs are paying for it with illness. Make sure you let them know and I hope everyone gets the word out with your issues with them as well. Contact your news, media outlets and internet groups... Something needs to be done because I doubt nothing will unless it gets BIG. I will not buy ANYTHING from them again. Thanks for your time.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I purchased my dog a new dog food Purina One Smartblend a few days ago. Once I opened I didn't notice any bugs but when I went to transfer his food into his airtight container I saw small black bugs in the food. At first I thought no big deal. But the next day I used the scoop to move the food around and saw a numerous amount of the same black bugs. Looking further I saw white larvae on some of the pieces. I am very disappointed in this and after reading all the bad reviews with Purina products I will be promptly returning this bad $30.00 bag to the store and continue searching for a new (bug free) dog food. I hope Purina figures out a better way to stock and store their products soon. I’m sadden by this because for the 2 days we had it my dog loved it.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Purina One is some of the best dog food I've seen. The first ingredient is chicken or beef which is very impressive. And my furry friends love that dog food more than people food.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Found maggots in the food in three occasions. First time was towards the bottom of the bag. I gave the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe something had crawled inside the bag. I'm very clean but I live in an island (lots of bugs). Second time, I noticed the maggots when the bag was half way done. Rushed to the pet supermarket where I got it from, and decided to switch to a better brand (Nutro). In order to avoid my dog getting sick, I decided to buy just a 5 lb bag of the same Purina pro plan salmon blend and wean her off the right way by mixing it with the new food. Well, guess what I found once again on the second day?!? You guessed it... MAGGOTS!!! DO NOT FEED THIS ** To YOUR DOG!!! I initially got it because my dog has very sensitive skin ever since we rescue her. This never alleviated her skin issues anyways. This product should be called back, and taken off the shelves!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I like this dog food. It's been around for a very long time and that says a lot about it. One really good thing about Purina dog food is a twenty pound bag costs ten to twelve dollars but the biggest brands like Blue Buffalo, Science Diet, and others cost fifty dollars and I can't afford that.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information