3.67/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I have two cats that eat dry food every day and on occasion I feed them Friskies shredded canned cat food as a treat. My cats are six years old brothers and I’ve been feeding them Purina Friskies since I got them as kittens. When I fed them a can of Friskies 2 weeks ago, I knew there was something wrong. They weren’t overly excited about the food, but they ate it. The next day I noticed they hadn’t been drinking much or eating their dry food. They were throwing up and two days later I had to take them to the vet. They were not eating or drinking.

I looked on the Internet to see if there was any reports of a recall. I then noticed other people talking about bad Friskies canned food and certain batch numbers. I checked the Batch number on the can of food I had given the cats and to my horror, it ended in 1159. I also checked the other cans I had purchased and they all ended in 1159. The vet treated them for a gastrointestinal issue. My one cat finally recovered after 5 days and his brother was about 8 days, although he is not quite 100%. Needless to say I won’t be giving them any more Friskies canned food. I contacted Karina and they told me there was nothing wrong with the food, but I definitely disagree. Why are other people complaining about this Batch number??!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Large bags Purina Beyond Simply dog foods are NOT HEAT SEALED by Purina. Had been feeding my dog the small bags of Purina Beyond Simply lamb mixed with canned Purina grain-free chicken lamb spinach for years. All of a sudden she became violently ill, throwing up and nonstop diarrhea. This was a healthy dog. Regular vet visits etc. Though maybe it was a virus. Cooked home chicken "stew" and dog started getting better. Had ordered large bags from Amazon and then from Chewy. Opened a new large bag and added some of it and two spoons of canned as was eating before. Dog got really sick all over again. It has basically taken a month antibiotic and prescp probiotics to try to stop the vomiting and diarrhea.

I realized these bags of Beyond Simply food are Not Heat Sealed on bottom but rolled and taped by PURINA... is the food going rancid? Purina acknowledged the practice. So threw out hundreds of dollars worth of this Simply Beyond lamb food 6 large bag, new and not expired and about 20 cans as referenced above. Strangely that food had become unavailable in our Extended area? Purina store did not even sell that one. Odd, or did Purina know there was a problem? Purina sent coupons for the same canned foods. How nice...

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I started feeding my cat Purina Friskies 5 years ago after my vet exhausted all other options, stating it was better for her to eat something she liked than not eat at all. I'm not sure the outcome was any different. She started exhibiting signs of allergy (salmon pate) after 2 years, so I was told to switch to the chicken pate. She tolerated that for

We treated her with ** for 2 months, to which she responded well, until she started exhibiting signs of renal failure (acute blindness, loss of back legs, stopped eating, screaming out in pain if you touched her abdomen). She was dead within 5 days. No account of kidney damage had been mentioned on any of her lab work leading up to this final episode. I had to make the ultimate decision to end her suffering, as the vet stated that nothing could be done. He directly blamed Purina Friskies, stating that it was harmful to cats and should have never been recommended in the first place. Who is at fault? Surely it is Purina, whose countless lawsuits demonstrate that their food should not be sold to consumers. My precious daughter lost her life because of this company. Gone too soon, Anais 2003-2019.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

My cats loved Purina Friskies and ate for a while, came across the sensation jellies sachets. Gave my cats the beef and tomato sensations sachets, only one cat decided to eat as the other 2 refused. Within a 30 minute period (all cats were playful and hyperactive before feeding) my feline friend was lethargic, vomiting, had diarrhea and serious trouble breathing. Rushes her to the vet where she was taken to the feline ICU. The vet said to remove any and all food that I had given that morning.

When I returned home, I did just that and fed the other 2 cats Whiskas. Had no issues. I contacted Purina immediately to which they stated "that couldn't happen with our food". The first and last time that type of flavour/type was used. No previous incidents like this had ever occurred with my cats. Purina asked for the boxes and packets back and full refund. Still hasn't happened.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I have bought 3 large bags of Pro Plan over the last few months at $50+ a bag. Each bag had moths that after a few days were all inside the container. Each time this happened I gave them another chance and each time moths again. I have just bought another bag and put it into an air right container, if moths come again I will not buy another bag.

Larry

Hot Springs, Ar

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Just opened a bag of Purina One SmartBlend Healthy Weight dog food and there are moths and larva in the food!!! Do not buy this food! I’m returning to PetSmart and reporting this to them as well. Upon looking closely with a flash light there is silky stringy stuff on the food with little larvae pieces attached.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

It is 4am and I was woken up by the sound of my baby vomiting. I have been cleaning vomit and diarrhea for an hour. My cat is my 1st baby. She is indoor, never having to be exposed to many threats. For almost a year now she has had bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. They are not regular, but at least once a month she trails it through my house. I have taken her to the Dr. at least 4x (can't afford). They can't find anything wrong. After tonight's huge pile of vomit consisting of dry food and mucus, it started to dawn on me. She has been eating Fancy Feast and Purina gentle dry. I'm both thankful and horrified that I found this site. I've been making my baby sick.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Our son's kitten became lethargic, is barely drinking water, anything that goes down with a dropper comes back up. No diarrhea because nothing has stayed down. She had Purina Fancy Feast kitten food. I have to give one star. I wish I could add none.

Original review: July 28, 2019

We recently started feeding our 2 female dogs Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Beef and Rice and one of them has been extremely sick (vomiting, constipated, drinking lots of water but struggling to urinate) for the past 3 days while the other dog is starting to show the same symptoms. Our vet took an X-ray of the stomach and found lots of gas and kibble trapped in the intestines.

Original review: July 28, 2019

Fed Purina ONE dry dog food to my 2 dogs last week, after switching from another brand, just thought for once I’d take advantage of a sale. Had fed purina one to a previous dog years ago and she had no issues, it was always the go-to decent but not too expensive food. Never any issues so I thought nothing of it. Boy, was I wrong! Fed both my pit bull and my Doberman on day one, the Doberman smelled the food and hesitated to eat, but did. By the end of that day he had diarrhea. The next morning I awoke to find a couple puddles of vomit and clearly it was the food in the vomit. Some completely undigested stuff too. By the end of that day he was lethargic, and just hovered over his water bowl, only sipping water.

The next day, he started trying to hide, and just dragged himself when he walked, like a limp noodle, he refused to eat and barely drank or sipped anything, but he kept trying. He had thrown up again that morning twice, then by the end of the night, a few more times, each time being more pungent and foul smelling. It seemed even though he wouldn’t eat, there was still pieces of food undigested from that first feeding of purina one.

The next day, was more vomiting and he couldn’t even get up to vomit, just threw up on his front paws. He hadn’t even pooped since his initial diarrhea. He would throw up just minutes after even a few sips of water every time he tried. He could barely walk. I was cooking dinner then heard a thump and he just collapsed in the bathroom doorway. I helped him back to a comfortable sleeping spot, bundled him with blankets and spooned little spoons of water into his mouth, he tried and swallowed, only to throw up. He got to the point he wouldn’t take in anymore, and I stayed with him long as I could then went to bed. I awoke just hours later after a nap, to find him passed away.

The pit bull threw up after a few feedings, normal color, etc., but after continuing on purina one, just 4 days after his friend passed away, he threw up the familiar color and smell of vomit that the Doberman displayed. The pit bull didn’t seem to even want to get up to be sick. With the similar symptoms being displayed, in throwing the bag of purina one in the trash, as it is too coincidental not to be the culprit. I’m pretty sure my pit bull will be ok as long as he doesn’t eat any more purina poison. I suspect a toxin that takes time to purge, and pets who have eaten much of the food, or are already weakened due to age or existing illness may be more susceptible to succumbing to a horrible death of wasting away. Just a theory.

Purina needs to get their act together and recall the pet food. It is traumatizing as owners to go through watching our family members go through this, and has got to be causing pets pain and suffering. I will never buy purina products again and will opt for more expensive food if that’s what I have to do. Thanks to purina, I’ve lost my best friend, a beautiful Doberman who I rescued and promised a better life. My pit bull should be fine but there’s no way in hell I’m giving him your poison food!

Purina Pet Foods Company Information