Purina Pet Foods

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a giant bag of the Purina Beneful Healthy Puppy food and had heard such negative things about the food. So instead of wasting the money, I just slowly started weaning her off and starting her on Hill's Science Diet. Last night when pouring her food I noticed a metal object protruding from the kibble. Upon further inspection I cannot decipher what it is, but I can closely relate it to a heavy duty staple. I did contact the company, they are sending me prepaid postage to send them the metal object and "investigate" and are sending me COUPONS FOR MY NEXT PURCHASE.

Seriously. Why would I purchase more of this? The $2 savings on my next bag won't put a dent in the vet costs from the internal damage they could've caused. Not to mention, who knows how much of this I missed. Very poor quality control, shame on them. Pets are family, I know that our food isn't exactly of the highest quality, but why do pets need to be put in danger because of lack of caring in their food production. I am mortified.

Pouring out the dry cat food for my cat, I noticed mouldy (fuzzy/ furry) bits inside the bag coming out WITH the dried food. I don't know what they are but it is definitely not okay for my cat to eat or anyone's animal to eat. Best before date on bag says JUL 1017.

Purina is HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. Idk why they don't take Purina out of business or whatever! It's horrible. Why don't they do anything about it, why doesn't someone sue them? Don't they see people are having horrible experiences with this dog food. Killing many dogs and making dogs sick? Dogs lives matter too. My sisters dog her face was swollen and she was very sick. Luckily when we changed her dog food she got so much better. Good thing we didn't feed her any longer than a couple of days. Sheesh what don't they get? This doesn't even deserve not even one star.

Over the past couple of weeks my two cats have been sick on and off, resulting in two separate trips to the vet which is very expensive. Unsure of the cause of the sudden vomiting spells, I did not think that the food I have been feeding them consistently for two years could be the issue. This morning, however, while pouring the bottom batch of the bag into food bowl, a clump of food landed at the top. After worrying about what the clump really was, I was able to talk my boyfriend into dissecting it further for me. We still do not know what it is exactly but are totally grossed out by what we have found and angry to think about my cats suffering from simply eating their cat food. I plan on having it tested and discussing more with vet.

My Whippet got very sick a month ago and required vetting. After blood, urine and fecal lab test were performed, they couldn't find the reason she was so sick. So, I was weary of what could have caused her illness. I started spooning out the can dog food into a sterile jar to keep fresh after opening to store in the fridge. Today 4/3/17 I opened a new can and found plastic the size of a dime in the Whole Earth can dog food, same food I'd been feeding her when she got so ill. I called Merrick to report my finding the plastic. They apologized and wanted me to pay to return the evidence to them to look into the issue sounding unconcerned about the problem. I think this is what caused my dog to get so sick before. I took pictures and have saved the plastic. I will be talking to my vet to get counsel on how to proceed with this as it could be happening to many other pets as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Two months after I got my rescue dog I changed his food to Purina One Lamb and Rice Formula. He loves the taste. BUT he has had 3 seizures with vomiting in the last year that I have had him. I am beginning to think it may be the food since the vet can find no other explanation. To be fair I am his 4th owner and do not have his complete history but my gut instinct is to look at his food source. I am curious to see if any other dog owners have experienced this or any similar neurological issues with this food?

My Daughter today just had to put their family dog down. According to the Vet it was due to the dog food it was eating that gave the dog a Kidney stone as big as a baseball! To due surgery was out of their price range and he would not guarantee that it would not return within a week or a month or a year but this dog could not process your dog food. They thought they was buying good, healthy diet food for their pet. They had no Idea that it was so harmful. So needless to say their second grade daughter had no warning she was coming home to hear that her dog had to be put down at only having it for only 5yrs most of her young life and that also was the age of the dog it was gone. Something needs to be done with the food you are giving these animals with no warning on what damages they can cause and how tragic it can be on the family!!! Will definitely warn other people who have pets to be aware of Purina products.

Fed my 3 month old lab this for a month. Everything was fine in the beginning but after about 3 weeks she began have very loose stool. So loose that it was like puddy. We are switching to Wellness Complete Health puppy food to see if that helps her out. DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG THIS BRAND.

I buy 22 lbs. bags of Cat Chow Indoor food because I have several cats. In 4 months bought 3 bags and started up with Purina - MyPerkscatchow reward system. Well on the 22 lbs. bags I can never read the laser print codes that I can on the smaller bags. I've complained and was told to call a number. I did and was sent a survey via email. That was a couple of weeks ago and nothing since. Let's just say I gave them a very poor response in return. They won't give me the points I'm owed off the one UPC bag I had at the time let alone I've bought 3 in 4 months' time.

Purina customer service is very poor. And from what I've seen on Facebook, I'm not the only one complaining about Purina let alone from MyPerkscatchow.com. Oh and per 22 lb.=4,000 pts. and total 3 bags is 12,000 pts. I've yet to see on my account. Anyone else having this problem? Then after I call someone takes UPC # and name, sends survey, and after I answer survey I still don't get my points.

I'm very disappointed in the Purina Puppy Chow Tender & Crunchy. It made both of our bulldogs sick for 5 days. The bottom of the food in the bag made them sick. They weren't sick until we got to the bottom of the dog food. Need to find a great food for my American Bulldogs.

Worms, need I say more? The worms are actually inside the chunks of dog food. If you break them open, the worms come slithering out and nearly made me vomit. They claim it's coming from the warehouse and there is nothing they can do about it. Hmmm... you have worms in your warehouse and are not going to do anything about it? How did they get inside the food chunks? Yeah, no more for me.

As a caretaker of feral and stray cats I use this product almost everyday. Recently bought a 22lb bag from Tractor Supply and was mortified to find something looking like damp cloth buried in it together with maggots. I photographed it to show you but I threw the bag in the trash. I will not use this food again until I hear back from you and would certainly like a refund of the $13 I paid for it at Tractor Supply.

I had been looking for a cat food that didn't make my cat vomit shortly after eating. I spied the gentle formula on the shelf and decided to try it. It is very good. He doesn't vomit as often and not as much. I like the food for my cat very much.

I have a six year old cat and I have always given her Purina from the time she has been a kitten. I have always trusted Purina and went from kitten food to adult cat food. I like to give her the hairball treatment food.

I have 4 dogs using this product (Pro Plan Salmon and rice dry dog food). Upon opening the bag and filling their dishes I noticed small black bugs in the food. I took a closer look and found that not only were there black bugs but also tiny larva worms of some type. I had ordered this food through Petsmart online. I will not buy Purina products again. Since reading the reviews I now realize this is an ongoing problem that Purina does not seem to be correcting.

My cat just finished his bag of Purina one indoor cat, which is my usual choice but I bought the regular version because of a coupon and he has had diarrhea for 5 days, I'm so stressed, it's so nasty because he's a long hair cat so you can imagine how many baths he's had to have. I suspect it's the food now that I see all these recent complaints. Going to email them.

My cat has never had skin problems and my cat and dog eat Purina food. My dog would sometimes eat Mousey's food. Scabs were on both. Dog I have made sure has not eaten Purina indoor cat food and skin problems stopped. Mousey's haven't. Has there been any changes in ingredients in last 6 months? I gave him taste of the Wild and he has not scratched today hardly any. Used this product ten yrs. I'm taking him to the vet again and he is 11 and worried giving ** to him. ** isn't working either. I haven't changed detergents, anything. I'm gonna really upset if I find out if it's different ingredients and my baby boy has suffered for months. I'm taking samples of the scabs stuck on skin and hair tomorrow and the lady that opened the bag of Purina hairball food and moths... yes infested with moths!!! I'm highly disgusted. I've paid so much money in Purina, I should have blue chip stocks. I want answers.

I had a kennel and I raised show Terriers. I have fed Purina Pro Plan for twenty years. Healthy dogs - good coats and teeth. I have a small rescue now that was in terrible shape when I got her. I feed her Pro Plan Focus for small dogs. She looks great and is in good health. Many people that show and compete their dogs feed Pro Plan.

Last night I opened a brand new bag of Purina One Hairball Control cat food and it was completely infested with moths. It was absolutely disgusting. I recently bought this bag at Petco in Plantation, Florida. I spent $15 on this bag and had to throw the whole thing away. I'm reading other people's cats have gotten sick from moth infested food - this makes me feel sick! I didn't return the bag to Petco because I didn't want to risk moths getting loose and infesting my car. I'm hoping I killed all the ones that escaped from the bag because I do not want our home infested as well. I've read these moths are hard to get rid of. I've written Purina Customer Service and email, but have not heard back yet. I just wanted to encourage everyone to check their food as soon as they open it and say something if something is wrong!

We used all the stages of their puppy food, then dog food when my baby got to be an adult dog. Their ingredients are good and Fudgie loves the food. In his later years, we have him on the diet control–weight control and he loves it and he lost weight from their food. I recommend their food to anyone who has an older baby (dog) and whose vet told them to put their dog on a diet like ours did. Your dog will lose weight. He will also love the taste, like my dog!

I buy Purina SmartBlend for both my labs. They like the lamb and rice formula the best. You can buy it most anywhere. They are 10 years old and are fairly active. They have tried several other Purina blends but this is a healthy balance for them. They like the smaller bite of food. It is well balanced with protein and vitamins needed for larger dogs. I have not had any weight problems while feeding them this brand.

I have small, medium and large dogs. Purina small bites fits the bill for all of them. I don't have to buy 3 different kinds of food. All my dogs like the taste. No one has any digestive problems with it and all have a clean bill of health. I mix this with canned Purina Alpo food and all tags are wagging. The prices are a bonus, too. I would recommend these products to anyone looking for good quality food for their furry family members at a very fair price.

Purina One Smartblend. Used the puppy choice until my dog turned 2. My dog seemed to like it. Now I've switched to the non-puppy choices. Tried 3 different flavors and she doesn't eat them unless I mix in canned food.

I use Purina One for my dogs because not only do I want the best for my dogs but I believe it's the best that is available in the grocery stores. It has the best ingredients for your dogs. Fresh chicken, lamb, salmon, bison are some of the meats that are available to you as well as fresh vegetables. My dogs love it and it is good for them too. You don't have to worry about what your pets are eating when you give them Purina One. You can rest assured they have had the best!

Purchased a large bag of the puppy pro plan dog food from PetSmart and after about a week discovered that it was infested with bugs. Food was stored indoors in an airtight container from time of purchase, so bugs were in there when we bought it. I decided to post in the Purina Facebook page with a photo and then realized that there were many other people posting about the same Issue. Purina has yet to take action and is blaming it on their warehouses.

A few days ago I bought this product from the Family Dollar store. I went back to urge them to pull it from inventory. It made all my cats ill; actually it poisoned them. They went into vomiting spells and have been listless & without appetite since eating it. I bought a high quality Iams kibble for them the next day & they vomited that up. One of my cats acts like she's dying. I mailed Purina right away & have heard nothing from them. I'm weighing a suit. Be advised my country cats do not have fragile constitutions or weak stomachs: they eat venison, pizza & perch-fresh caught from the river. Deli-Cat is dangerous & should be recalled.

I have twice entered the proper codes on the purina pet perks website and both times have failed. Earlier this month (12, 2016) I made a phone call to resolve the issue. What a pain in the butt! Today, 12/28/2016 I tried to enter another code and received the message INVALID CODE, so I called them again and was told the pet perks department was closed until Jan, 3rd. So I will not be able to receive the maximum of 6000 points this month. There is no way I am going to call them every month in an attempt to get my points. Which by the way it will take 10 months of entering codes to get 1 free bag of cat food. It's not worth the effort. I perceive the pet perks program is throwing so many obstacles in the way so as not to make good on the promises of their program. I would encourage you to find another brand of pet food as I am going to do in order to show Purina that they suck.

Purina One Smart Blend Dog Food - My 3 medium size dogs were switched to the Chicken & Rice Formula 3 months ago from a more expensive brand that I had been buying. They seemed to adjust okay until this last bag which I've been purchasing at Walmart. The bag appears to be lighter in weight and noticed large sponge like morsels. My dogs are now refusing it to eat it, I figured maybe they were just not hungry enough so I'd save it for the next go around. Then I noticed that my dogs are not acting as spunky, shaky and having diarrhea. When I called the number listed on the bag and ask if they changed something in the ingredients they denied any change and said that the food is 100% nutritious if they ate it all. After reading all the negative reviews I am definitely getting them off this food.

I purchased a brand new bag of Purina indoor Cat Chow. My cats are strictly indoor pets. Upon feeding my cats the Purina, my old 7 year old cat got diarrhea later in the day and my youngest 1 year old cat began vomiting. After vomiting he became lethargic and tried eating again later in the day, and threw up again. It was then I realized it was the food, Purina made my cats sick. I had to take him in for care and hand force feed him kitty milk with a dropper until he began to eat again. I'm banning All Purina brands. I'm lucky my little cat pulled through his ordeal.

I have had three dogs over the last 10 years on Purina Pro Plan. In all cases, the dogs have enjoyed their food and had healthy lives. Two were eventually put down due to age-related issues. However, the variety seems to have diminished and the availability, at least at PetSmart and Petco. My remaining dog eats canned wet food in the morning and dry in the evening and I had one occasion where I had to use another brand, which he turned his nose up at.

Purina Pet Foods Company Profile