2.69/5
Based on 146 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Last updated: April 21, 2018

1391 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 21, 2018

I have been feeding my cats Friskies dry cat food years and in the past 6 months I've added 1 feeding per day of the canned food and cats had loved it. Just recently I noticed that after feeding the White Oceanfish and Tuna they are experiencing vomiting and diarrhea.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Both of my dogs have been eating Purina One chicken and rice dry for over 4 years and we never had any problems. Last month my pug got very sick and both dogs refused to eat the food. I bought a new bag and tossed the old bag thinking maybe it was old. Opened the bag, fed them both and again they both will not eat it. Something is definitely wrong with this brand. My dogs are not picky eaters but neither will touch it. Now we are switched to another brand.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 6, 2018

I have fed my cats cat natural food for 3 years, never a problem. However the last 2 bags I've gotten from Walmart has made my cats throw up and now they refuse to eat. Even the raccoon who lives in the neighborhood always tries to steal cat food won't even touch it. The Walmart shipment of this cat food needs to be checked and look into for possible recall. I've seen other complaints on this site within the last 90 days.

I have fed my cats cat natural food for 3 years, never a problem. However the last 2 bags I've gotten from Walmart has made my cats throw up and now they refuse to eat. Even the raccoon who lives.in the neighborhood always tries to steal cat food won't even touch it. The Walmart shipment of this cat food needs to be checked and look into for possible recall. I've seen other complaints on this site within the last 90 days.

Original review: April 2, 2018

My beautiful 10-year old Himalayan cat, Oliver, started vomiting and having diarrhea everywhere other than the potty box. The poop was brick colored and stained our carpets. Oliver was clearly quite sick and miserable. Walmart had been out of the Naturals Original that he usually eats so I bought a 22 lb bag of Naturals Indoor formula.

After one day of eating only the Indoor formula, my poor cat was violently ill. The vet ran tests and rendered treatments trying to save Oliver's life. $500 later the vet told me to check the contents paragraph on the bag of Indoor formula and let him know if there were any food dyes listed. Sure enough, Red #40 is an ingredient in the Indoor formula, but not in the Original. Our vet said cats frequently develop allergies to Red #40 especially! As soon as I could feed Oliver the Original formula, he started feeling and acting like his usual self. No more vomiting or diarrhea. WHY IN THE WORLD DO YOU THINK OUR PETS NEED TO EAT RED #40? I sure don't want it in my food. And I will never again buy cat food with that toxic additive. Purina owes me $500 for pet care + cost of cat show.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We've used Purina Cat Chow Naturals with our 5 cats (and 2 outdoor strays) for years. The last bag we got, however, has made everyone sick. Two of the cats were vomiting blood and are being treated by our vet, everyone's appetite has plummeted, and they're lethargic. One of the strays who has come by daily for the last 5 years is gone; we're worried he's fallen ill or died. The other stray - usually quite the food hog - refuses to eat the Purina, and our indoor cats won't touch it now either. Needless to say, we're switching brands immediately and hoping everyone bounces back soon. But it's been incredibly distressing to watch everyone's health take a nose dive and not know the cause. Their dry food is one the big common denominators, so we're concerned a recent batch of this brand may have been contaminated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: March 27, 2018

Indoor dry cat food - I have 7 indoor cats so I have been getting this product for a long time. Today, I got a bag from Walmart. The wrong product was in the bag. Normally the product looks like little pebbles. Todays bag contained little triangles fish rectangles etc. Since one of the cats only eats dry food. I put some out. She threw it up. I have wet food I can feed the others with for tonight. Obviously a quality control issue. I already contacted Walmart so hopefully they check their other bags in stock.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Fed Purina One Chicken and Rice to my dog his whole life, 7.5 years. This last bag I bought was the first time I saw him respond this way. Twice now has caused him to go full on zombie mode. Limping and random squealing, cant walk straight, just sits and stares at me for a sec and then plops back down. Nothing like himself, normally is a bounding heap of uncontrolled energy but since buying this bag I've noticed when I get home instead of waiting anxiously by the door he stays laying down until I walk in and then moseys over. I will submit the bag and lot #'s and what not when I get home. I have to watch him on a camera while at work periodically to make sure he isn't dying on me the way so many others have listed as occurring. I have neither the money nor time currently to take off work and take him to the vet, I will of course. But as far as what he's ingested I can verify without a doubt the only thing eaten, has been this food.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I woke up to cat puke and diarrhea ALL OVER MY DAMN HOUSE! And we just got another bag last night! What am I suppose to do with this laxative **?! And we have a pregnant cat here! What if it harms her babies? This company need to liquidate like Indy and Sam did all over my floor!

Original review: March 23, 2018

My mother-in-law gave the sample to my Maine Coon, within 6 hours he began vomiting. The next day his abd was bloated but still drinking and refusing to eat. Today his liver is hard as a rock, no drinking, no food and now in renal failure from a fatty liver. This cat is 3 years old and should not have to endure such abuse and loss of life from a company that claims to care about pets! Don't buy or use any samples ever!!!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I recently adopted a little Cairn Terrier from the Feed Store. The complimentary vet visit included a free sample bag of Science Diet for small dogs. My dog loved it and did very well on it. When it ran out, I decided to pick up a bag of Purina One Smartblend Lamb and Rice while I was at Walmart. After about five days on the Purina, Buddy threw up one morning. He then began having diarrhea and gas every day, and became anxious at times (worrying about soiling his new home).

I became suspicious of the food, so last night I Googled "Purina One Smartblend...." and Google actually finished my sentence with "gives my dog diarrhea". I then read the reviews and was floored. We took a late drive to PetSmart and picked up a new bag of Science Diet. He ate his dinner and then just relaxed and slept like a baby. There were no middle-of-the-night bathroom calls, and no puddles of pudding in the morning, thank God. I will never buy Purina again. After reading the reviews, I see there has been no recall despite pets having died. I foresee a class action lawsuit if they don't act soon.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Jan 4, 2018 Kastaway Kitties Rescue & Sanctuary. After feeding Purina Cat Chow Complete & Purina Friskies canned food (various flavors) over 50 cats began throwing up blood, bloody diarrhea, lethargic & verbally distressed. FIVE DIED! Vet's advice was to remove food immediately. Ongoing health problems related to this poisoning. Purina states from food sample sent to them: No mold, no foul odor, no infestation. Claimed did not do CHEMICAL TEST as they did not feel it was necessary! Five cats dead & they did not feel it necessary! Purina is not recalling food & it is still being sold. Hundreds of complaints being posted by pet lovers (with pictures of food/pets) sick & dying, some have died. SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH FOOD. NEEDS RECALL!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I got a new bag of Purina One, which I had been feeding my dogs for about a year. When I opened the new bag only one of my dogs ate it and the other ate the remaining of the old bag. Well the one that ate from the new bag got violently sick where I had to take him to a vet hospital's emergency room at night. He threw up then was having bloody diarrhea then got to the point where he was just pooping pure blood, started peeing blood and got pretty limp. I took the food with us to the vet ER. They said there was some sort of contamination in the food and he was given a bunch of medications and I am having to monitor him all week and then take him back to his normal vet after he finished his medication to check for further damage.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I've fed my furbaby Purina lamb and rice for years. End of January I purchased a lrg bag as I was running low on her food. I just opened it and began feeding her as usual. She immediately started throwing up and started with diarrhea, then stopped eating at all. Tonight I tried another brand and she seems better. Will return Purina tomorrow to store purchased from. No more Purina!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Dog TREATS CAUSE SEIZURES AND ARE STILL BEING SOLD! I still have the bag from several years ago. I gave Indy the treats and she began having seizures. She has had them consistently since then, and generally has 9 in a row!!!! She does not deserve this! She is no longer the same dog she was before. Why do you still sell this????

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I normally feed Purina ONE True Instinct natural grain free dry cat food to my cats. 1 kitten inside, one stray cat outside, one that goes out during the day and comes in at night. Last week I bought got a new bag. Maybe on Wednesday. Feed the cats like normal, the cats didn’t seem to be eating their food like normal. By Saturday my kitten was vomiting and not eating or drinking. To the vets on Monday. He has a severe case of gastroenteritis. After X-rays and 400$ worth of test. The stray cat was not eating his food either. I noticed he was just laying around and he started vomiting.

I am having to feed water and baby food thru a syringe to keep him alive. He has other health issues, so this is not helping. So through tending to these two I began to wonder about my indoor/outdoor cat eating. I just leave the bowl with food in it for him. It has not been touched. I have been trying to think of a commonality as to why my cats are sick and this is only commonality I can see. There is no other reason. The fact they all only ate the new bag of Purina cat food for about one day. I think it is poisoned. I empty the bag in a Tupperware container when I get it to keep it fresh, so I didn’t have the bag to look at the Lot number.

So I went back to the store where I purchased to see if it was expired or get the Lot number. The type I bought has been removed from the shelf and new bags were there. The bags said “new”, like it was new and improved. The manager said they replaced it probably because it was not selling very well and they had already sent it back. So after the visits to vet and all meds for the kitten it cost me about 700 dollars. I have not taken the stray into the vets because of the cost. I will not recommend this product. I have switched to Royal Canin per the vet recommendation. That is when they can start eating again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

My cat is 17 years old. When he was about 7 years old we had a bad experience with this food. We almost lost him. Vomiting, diarrhea, took him to the vet. Was put on medication. Stayed overnight. So I quit using this brand for many years. About a year ago I started using this brand again with no problems until two days ago, he had the same reaction to the food, so I cut him off immediately, so I'm done with this brand for good this time. No more wet cat food. I will fed him human can food Salmon, and Tuna. Lol!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have 11 cats. They have been eating Purina One for years. This summer, 6 of the 11 started having skin issues. The others were throwing up. As soon as I stopped giving them Purina One, the vomiting slowed down. 3 of the 6 with skin issues got better. After a few months, their skin is back to normal. The other 3 got worse. It looks like an allergic reaction. The 3 cats are losing hair and are scabby from scratching so much. I switched to Rachael Ray Grain Free, and their skin is finally starting to improve. I started making homemade chicken cat food from catinfo.com. Veterinarian Lisa Pierson DVM created the recipe. I used this in the past for sick cats and it worked. They had healthy skin when I was using this recipe, so I'm hoping it will improve their skin again. Decent pet food saves on vet bills, and is definitely worth the extra cost.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My dog has been vomiting for days now and it is definitely her food. I’ve given her Purina One SmartBlend lamb and rice and since then she’s been throwing up constantly. I did some research and it has happened to a lot of other dogs. This food needs a recall immediately!! It hurts to see your pet sick. She’s up at night vomiting and I’m up with her. Something needs to be done.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

PURINA IS A BAD PRODUCT. DON'T FEED THIS PRODUCT TO YOUR PETS. IT WILL MAKE THEM SICK. You will be taking your pet to the vet and dishing out money. All of their products are bad. Kitten Chow, Cat Chow Complete, and don't even feed your cat Purina Indoor Cat Food in the green bag. Cat has bad case of food allergies from ingredients that causes your cat to sneeze, agitate skin, and lose hair. Use caution.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Our Six month old lab had started on this dog food (Purina One Smart Blend Large breed puppy formula) and was fine. He went a month on the same food. I bought another bag and since then he has been having out of control episodes of diarrhea. We took him to the vet right away. We noticed he had some plastic in his bowel movements most likely from a chew toy and just thought it could just be that so we started him on a bland rice and chicken diet. He seemed to be feeling better with the medication prescribed to slow down his diarrhea. To make a long story short we started him back up with a cup of his regular dog food and what do you know. The horrific diarrhea is back.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

My 10 year old dog had previously never had any issues with Purina Pro Plan Small Adult Breed food. We've been feeding it to her for years and she's really healthy. On Nov 8th, 2017, I opened a brand new bag of food and there was violent vomiting for nearly 12 hours. The next night, the same thing. So I returned the bag, thinking I just got a bad lot. Same thing with the new bag of food to the point that my dog wouldn't eat anything for days. Switched her to chicken and rice to calm her GI. Went back to kibble, vomit! $600 in vet bills, blood work is fine, no obstructions, no parasites.

Two months later, I give her a handful of Acana (top end brand) of kibble which she finally loved. Hour later, puke which continued for about 12 hours. The only thing that started this all was the new bag of Pro Plan. I've spent hundreds trying to find her a food that she can tolerate. It wasn't until I read from other reviewers that I'm convinced it had to be that bag of food from Pro Plan. Especially reading one from North Las Vegas. I am in Vegas. Maybe we got bad bags. But it's cost me a fortune and countless nights of sleep taking care of my baby. I found a local pet store that assisted with freeze dried raw food which she was able to tolerate!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Changed my healthy 9 yr old pug to Purina Lamb and Rice thinking the extra glucosamine and other nutrients would be a good choice. WRONG! After introducing the new food gradually, I finally gave her her normal amount of Purina One. My dog has had diarrhea nonstop. Not sure what they put in this food to make a seemingly otherwise healthy dog sick. We are day number two of rice to calm her stomach.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

After purchase of a fresh 6.3lb bag of our cats FAVORITE dry cat food - Purina Cat Chow Complete - she immediately sickened and started vomiting after meals and then refused to eat. She kept returning to her bowl but wouldn't eat. We purchased 2 other brands. Being a trained lab tech I ran a test. 3 bowls, one of each food. She reluctantly ate the 2 new foods (with no vomiting) while still leaving her "favorite" untouched. To verify a BAD BATCH I purchased a 18oz box of her favorite Purina Cat Chow Complete from another store in the next town.

A 4th bowl of the boxed P.C.C.C was added to the test - which she immediately claimed as "favorite" again. Then I reduced the test to 2 bowls of Purina Cat Chow Complete... one from the 6.3lb bag and one from the 18oz box. Even after switching the bowls around a couple times without her knowledge, she only loves the food from the box. CONCLUSION - BAD BATCH stamped BEST BY: JUN 2018 73381084 2308 L10. I pity the pets that are not offered an alternative!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Our dogs had been on Purina One for years. I’m not sure if they have recently reformulated or if their quality went down but all 4 of our dogs (one right after another) started getting diarrhea and throwing up. It got to the point that they wouldn’t eat. We fed them rice and pure pumpkin to settle their GI tract and started them on Nutro grain free dog food. That solved the problem. We will never buy Purina One again!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Overpriced, extremely small amt of product and horrible packaging. The product also includes fish heads (my cat doesn't mind but I do) and the foil envelope is such that it requires a firm grip to "pull 'n tear". Too firm, however, results in the spillage of the precious small amount to begin with. The package design includes a "fold" at the bottom where a great deal of the solid portion of product gets stuck and is impossible to dig out. My cat loves the food but to pay over a dollar for two tablespoons of food is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Recently found putrid stringy moldy wads and bug remains in bag of Cat Chow Complete purchased in December 2017. Have also complained directly to Purina. I did not notice the moldy chunks until after they were 1/4 a way through the bag because they are fed with a gravity feeder. I stopped feeding as soon as it was noticed. The rest of the food looks chalky/fuzzy. Definitely lighter in color than normal. I have been feeding the cats this food for 2 years. I will not feed my dogs or cats anymore Purina brands until I am satisfied Purina is taking care of this.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My cat Tiger has been eating Kit & Kaboodle dry food ever since we got him. This most recent large bag purchased from Walmart in North Las Vegas in November 2017 was different. My cat started to exhibit odd behaviors such as chasing his tail, acting more aggressive/biting me way more, and developed a long area under his paw/along his rib cage area with a rash and missing fur.

At first I was afraid it might be mange or something. It was bleeding with tiny scab spots, missing hair, and a rough line down the middle that still feels like scar tissue or thickened tissue. The cat gets very irritated when I try to look at it and very irritated when picked up “wrong”/where it hurts him. This has changed our social, energetic, happy and friendly cuddle cat’s personality dramatically. Sometimes he’s just very lethargic and his fur looks dull/oily—he was never like that before. Then I started looking at pictures online and saw that it appears to be an allergic reaction. Also the cat vomits every time he eats this dry cat food.

We switched his cat food to Hills Science $$$ and his behavior is slowly returning to normal. I called Purina and the CSR on the phone could only repeatedly give the canned scripted responses like a robot “Purina has been in business for 90 years...” and “the only recent change to the formula has been the addition of an artificial color...” exhibiting no real care about the health of my cat nor the fact that I’ve been cleaning up cat barf repeatedly (and the familiar heave sound from my cat leaving just enough notice to see the fresh barf) and dealing with the odd and negative behaviors my cat now exhibits because of ingesting this poison. I believe it could be GMOs fully creeping into the raw materials used to make this cat food. No wonder everyone is now switching to Hills Science... Buyer beware if you love your cat and don’t want him to get sick and end up dead. Thank God we figured this out in time... :(

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

My cats Shadow and Sassy have been eating strictly Purina Cat Chow and Friskies Pate wet food which is also owned by Purina. My cat Shadow lived for 3 years without an issue until the past 3 days since I got him and my cat Sassy another bag of Purina Seafood Sensations and the Friskies pate wet food. Shadow has had all vaccinations and so have Sassy and Sassy is 2 years old. Shadow is 3 and they get them annually. Both are also neutered and spayed. But other than that I cannot afford anything else. They were both so healthy until the past three days, Shadow began throwing up undigested food and blood and foaming at the mouth. I can't begin to describe my pain of losing him because I reared him from 3 weeks of age on the bottle and he was a rescue. He had to be euthanized on December 27th and Sassy started showing the same symptoms last night and is fading fast.

Not one but both of my cats ill just days apart strikes suspicion in me and from what others have said online I can almost pinpoint Purina to blame. I ask to get a necropsy on Sassy if I can but Shadow I already buried. But they also need to test the food itself for illegal ingredients and other stuff... I wish to pursue legal action. And justice for my babies. My son is 5 months old and he loved my kitties. Sassy will have to be euthanized if she gets worse. I suggest that you do not buy this food and if you do and your pet is still healthy change it. And who knows how many people they can pay to lie... I lost receipt but I have my bag and it has an order number.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

We purchased a bag of Purina one smart blend dog food from our local Dollar General store, it was fully contaminated and infested with mold, maggots, and god knows what else. Its expiration date said May 2018. It’s currently December 2017... Horrible!!! I returned it after taking pictures. I couldn’t be upset with Dollar General. They couldn’t know it was like that, I blame the owners and manufacturers and have filed a formal complaint. We will never use again!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I recently changed to Purina One Purposeful Nutrition dry cat food and after several days I rushed my cat to the vet where I learned she had lost 75% of her kidney function ($300+ vet bill). She had just had a checkup with normal cbc. She is now on science diet food and striving. I am not sure if it was this food but there is no other explanation. It is quite odd how ill she became after eating this food and how well she became after discontinuing it. I do not and will not recommend this food.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information