2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (773 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

My 12 year old cat has always loved Friskies cat food, both canned and dry. But with the last two boxes of pate that I bought from Costco, she has had several bouts of vomiting. She has lost weight. Now she absolutely refuses to eat the fish varieties, Ocean Whitefish and Tuna, and Mariner's Catch. The expiration date on the cans is Sept 2021. The numbers are all different except for the digits 1159, which occur on all the cans. I'm going to talk to my vet about this food and see if they have any more information about it. There have been complaints on Facebook about Friskies with the numbers 1159. I always take FB posts with a grain of salt but I am now questioning the healthiness of Friskies pate. If something is wrong with this product, Purina should step up and recall it. Hills did it. They're still in business.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

About two weeks ago, my cats stopped eating Fancy Feast canned and Fancy Feast broths. It's weird. Since so many others seem to be experiencing the same thing, I sent the link to these reviews to Purina at www.purina.com/how-can-we-help.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

We have an elderly cat and adopted a youngster (a year old) in December. To save some money we switched our canned cat food from Nature Balance to Friskies Pate and when I ordered a 24 pack from Amazon I discovered I had received a pate with extra gravy. It seemed like a bonus for our kitties! Specially since our Jake, the elderly cat, had also been receiving a Fancy Feast Broth every day to add extra liquid in his diet, which we could now eliminate. After a week or so Jake started going on vomiting spurts of about 3 days each, then they would stop. Last time he also got quite weak and was having trouble standing up. I was about to take him to the vet, but by the time I got home from the grocery store he seemed much improved.

This evening he started vomiting again and I started a Google search on Friskies canned food for cats to see what I could find out about this. What a surprise! I thought Friskies was a decent cat food and I trusted their reputation. I am terribly disappointed in them as a Corporation. I believe a company with integrity would be 1) Warn customers of this bad food 2) Issue a recall of the food 3) Provide refunds for food purchased 4) Reimburse vet bills. This is not something we have caused to happen to our furbabies, it is something that has been done to them through the negligence of a Corporation trying to save a few dollars.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I recently fed both my cats Friskies beef shreds, both my cats threw up within 10 min of eating it. My one cat got better within 24 hrs. My other cat continued to throw up for 3 days. I took him to the vet. She examined him & did blood work, his liver enzymes are elevated & he's dehydrated. He had to be put on medication. She said it was from the food. Several hundreds of dollars later, praying he'll recover. Friskies should be taken off the market!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Upon newly disclosed diabetes in one of my cats, other websites say, among others, stay that "Friskies Canned Cat Food" is an "acceptable" food, as it is low in carbohydrates, etc. But upon reading all of the reviews here, my cat would be in worse shape if she consumed it. Already went through the "foaming, pink, vomiting, hair loss, rash, exorbitant vet bills with one of my other cats, until I, myself, discovered that it was from "Fancy Feast Medleys"....The fact which I posted on that your website quite a few months ago, also seeing the similar complaints about THAT canned food. Can't a class action lawsuit be pursued in this matter?! What a despicable company that is allowed to get away with this (and cause undue misery) to pet owners...

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Though our golden retriever has been eating this food for 3 months he recently became ill. Vomiting and diarrhea and stopped eating this food. Lab and stool samples were unremarkable. Gave him boiled chicken and rice for one week plus anti- nausea med. It is very unusual for him to not like any food but he would not eat that food even after he was feeling better. Was willing to eat three other brands of food but will not touch the Pro Plan. I am very suspicious of the food and would alert anyone with food of the same batch. I too spent 500$ at vet, lost two bags of that food already purchased. Be aware!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I have been purchasing Purina Pro Plan dog food for some time now. I have been satisfied with the quality of dog food, and the health of my dogs. My family breeds Australian Shepherds so their health is a priority to us. We as breeders have gone around the block with dog food to find the optimal choice for our dogs. With that being said we purchase a large quantity so quality is always a concern of where our money is going.

Recently I purchased Purina Pro Plan Sport dog food #0-38100-17271. This bag was specifically purchased from Tractor Supply in Junction City, Oregon. After purchasing this bag my dogs slowly started to decrease their intake given. Which is very abnormal for some of our dogs. Over the course of this week. They completely stopped eating the food, and my one female began to throw up the food. I just figured it was a typical pregnant dog and was a little concerned. This particular female is one of our top dogs. If she were to get in a state of illness while carrying we would be at risk of losing puppies. After that incident a younger male that we have threw up the food, and became very lethargic. He stopped eating, and drinking over the course of last night, and this morning. He became dehydrated, and has a huge loss of energy. We now have multiple dogs that will not touch their food, and becoming very lethargic.

With the young dog getting so sick I had no other choice than to take him to the vet. All of his blood work came back normal, and was not linked to the Parvo Virus. The veterinarian just believes that he had gotten extremely sick from something, and to start him on antibiotics. The only thing that I can link my dogs to is the bag of Purina Pro Plan. They are not exposed to out side animals, and are very closely monitored.

I had to start cooking chicken, and rice to get them to eat. They will not touch the food from #0-38100-17271. I had not even used a quarter of the bag before these incidents. I have to throw out the entire bag since my dogs will not eat it. This ordeal also costed me a $266.65 vet bill. Exam-$62.00. Chem Panel C-1$07.00. Subcutaneous fluids 200 ml-$24.25. Cerenia 60mg tabs-4ct-$45.35. Clav/Amoxi Tab 250mg-$28.05. These dogs are quality animals, and we like to ensure that the health of our stock is our top priority. This happening to our program is unacceptable. We will never purchase a single thing from Purina ever again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Just purchased a bag of dog food..after feeding our dog we noticed maggots climbing out from dog. We were trying out a new brand. We basically just purchased the bag...not happy knowing our beloved pet ate it.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I have two cats that eat dry food every day and on occasion I feed them Friskies shredded canned cat food as a treat. My cats are six years old brothers and I’ve been feeding them Purina Friskies since I got them as kittens. When I fed them a can of Friskies 2 weeks ago, I knew there was something wrong. They weren’t overly excited about the food, but they ate it. The next day I noticed they hadn’t been drinking much or eating their dry food. They were throwing up and two days later I had to take them to the vet. They were not eating or drinking.

I looked on the Internet to see if there was any reports of a recall. I then noticed other people talking about bad Friskies canned food and certain batch numbers. I checked the Batch number on the can of food I had given the cats and to my horror, it ended in 1159. I also checked the other cans I had purchased and they all ended in 1159. The vet treated them for a gastrointestinal issue. My one cat finally recovered after 5 days and his brother was about 8 days, although he is not quite 100%. Needless to say I won’t be giving them any more Friskies canned food. I contacted Karina and they told me there was nothing wrong with the food, but I definitely disagree. Why are other people complaining about this Batch number??!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Large bags Purina Beyond Simply dog foods are NOT HEAT SEALED by Purina. Had been feeding my dog the small bags of Purina Beyond Simply lamb mixed with canned Purina grain-free chicken lamb spinach for years. All of a sudden she became violently ill, throwing up and nonstop diarrhea. This was a healthy dog. Regular vet visits etc. Though maybe it was a virus. Cooked home chicken "stew" and dog started getting better. Had ordered large bags from Amazon and then from Chewy. Opened a new large bag and added some of it and two spoons of canned as was eating before. Dog got really sick all over again. It has basically taken a month antibiotic and prescp probiotics to try to stop the vomiting and diarrhea.

I realized these bags of Beyond Simply food are Not Heat Sealed on bottom but rolled and taped by PURINA... is the food going rancid? Purina acknowledged the practice. So threw out hundreds of dollars worth of this Simply Beyond lamb food 6 large bag, new and not expired and about 20 cans as referenced above. Strangely that food had become unavailable in our Extended area? Purina store did not even sell that one. Odd, or did Purina know there was a problem? Purina sent coupons for the same canned foods. How nice...

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I started feeding my cat Purina Friskies 5 years ago after my vet exhausted all other options, stating it was better for her to eat something she liked than not eat at all. I'm not sure the outcome was any different. She started exhibiting signs of allergy (salmon pate) after 2 years, so I was told to switch to the chicken pate. She tolerated that for

We treated her with ** for 2 months, to which she responded well, until she started exhibiting signs of renal failure (acute blindness, loss of back legs, stopped eating, screaming out in pain if you touched her abdomen). She was dead within 5 days. No account of kidney damage had been mentioned on any of her lab work leading up to this final episode. I had to make the ultimate decision to end her suffering, as the vet stated that nothing could be done. He directly blamed Purina Friskies, stating that it was harmful to cats and should have never been recommended in the first place. Who is at fault? Surely it is Purina, whose countless lawsuits demonstrate that their food should not be sold to consumers. My precious daughter lost her life because of this company. Gone too soon, Anais 2003-2019.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

My cats loved Purina Friskies and ate for a while, came across the sensation jellies sachets. Gave my cats the beef and tomato sensations sachets, only one cat decided to eat as the other 2 refused. Within a 30 minute period (all cats were playful and hyperactive before feeding) my feline friend was lethargic, vomiting, had diarrhea and serious trouble breathing. Rushes her to the vet where she was taken to the feline ICU. The vet said to remove any and all food that I had given that morning.

When I returned home, I did just that and fed the other 2 cats Whiskas. Had no issues. I contacted Purina immediately to which they stated "that couldn't happen with our food". The first and last time that type of flavour/type was used. No previous incidents like this had ever occurred with my cats. Purina asked for the boxes and packets back and full refund. Still hasn't happened.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I have bought 3 large bags of Pro Plan over the last few months at $50+ a bag. Each bag had moths that after a few days were all inside the container. Each time this happened I gave them another chance and each time moths again. I have just bought another bag and put it into an air right container, if moths come again I will not buy another bag.

Larry

Hot Springs, Ar

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Just opened a bag of Purina One SmartBlend Healthy Weight dog food and there are moths and larva in the food!!! Do not buy this food! I’m returning to PetSmart and reporting this to them as well. Upon looking closely with a flash light there is silky stringy stuff on the food with little larvae pieces attached.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

It is 4am and I was woken up by the sound of my baby vomiting. I have been cleaning vomit and diarrhea for an hour. My cat is my 1st baby. She is indoor, never having to be exposed to many threats. For almost a year now she has had bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. They are not regular, but at least once a month she trails it through my house. I have taken her to the Dr. at least 4x (can't afford). They can't find anything wrong. After tonight's huge pile of vomit consisting of dry food and mucus, it started to dawn on me. She has been eating Fancy Feast and Purina gentle dry. I'm both thankful and horrified that I found this site. I've been making my baby sick.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Our son's kitten became lethargic, is barely drinking water, anything that goes down with a dropper comes back up. No diarrhea because nothing has stayed down. She had Purina Fancy Feast kitten food. I have to give one star. I wish I could add none.

Original review: July 28, 2019

We recently started feeding our 2 female dogs Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Beef and Rice and one of them has been extremely sick (vomiting, constipated, drinking lots of water but struggling to urinate) for the past 3 days while the other dog is starting to show the same symptoms. Our vet took an X-ray of the stomach and found lots of gas and kibble trapped in the intestines.

Original review: July 28, 2019

Fed Purina ONE dry dog food to my 2 dogs last week, after switching from another brand, just thought for once I’d take advantage of a sale. Had fed purina one to a previous dog years ago and she had no issues, it was always the go-to decent but not too expensive food. Never any issues so I thought nothing of it. Boy, was I wrong! Fed both my pit bull and my Doberman on day one, the Doberman smelled the food and hesitated to eat, but did. By the end of that day he had diarrhea. The next morning I awoke to find a couple puddles of vomit and clearly it was the food in the vomit. Some completely undigested stuff too. By the end of that day he was lethargic, and just hovered over his water bowl, only sipping water.

The next day, he started trying to hide, and just dragged himself when he walked, like a limp noodle, he refused to eat and barely drank or sipped anything, but he kept trying. He had thrown up again that morning twice, then by the end of the night, a few more times, each time being more pungent and foul smelling. It seemed even though he wouldn’t eat, there was still pieces of food undigested from that first feeding of purina one.

The next day, was more vomiting and he couldn’t even get up to vomit, just threw up on his front paws. He hadn’t even pooped since his initial diarrhea. He would throw up just minutes after even a few sips of water every time he tried. He could barely walk. I was cooking dinner then heard a thump and he just collapsed in the bathroom doorway. I helped him back to a comfortable sleeping spot, bundled him with blankets and spooned little spoons of water into his mouth, he tried and swallowed, only to throw up. He got to the point he wouldn’t take in anymore, and I stayed with him long as I could then went to bed. I awoke just hours later after a nap, to find him passed away.

The pit bull threw up after a few feedings, normal color, etc., but after continuing on purina one, just 4 days after his friend passed away, he threw up the familiar color and smell of vomit that the Doberman displayed. The pit bull didn’t seem to even want to get up to be sick. With the similar symptoms being displayed, in throwing the bag of purina one in the trash, as it is too coincidental not to be the culprit. I’m pretty sure my pit bull will be ok as long as he doesn’t eat any more purina poison. I suspect a toxin that takes time to purge, and pets who have eaten much of the food, or are already weakened due to age or existing illness may be more susceptible to succumbing to a horrible death of wasting away. Just a theory.

Purina needs to get their act together and recall the pet food. It is traumatizing as owners to go through watching our family members go through this, and has got to be causing pets pain and suffering. I will never buy purina products again and will opt for more expensive food if that’s what I have to do. Thanks to purina, I’ve lost my best friend, a beautiful Doberman who I rescued and promised a better life. My pit bull should be fine but there’s no way in hell I’m giving him your poison food!

Original review: July 15, 2019

I am a veterinarian who has battled with the Purina Pet food company for 2 years now. They offer shipping, but can't ever seem to get it right. So I have to ask: If you constantly make mistakes with your orders, how can I expect you can make pet food without mistakes? Hmmmm. As soon as I asked that question, Sandy **, a so-called manager just told me to go buy food somewhere else. And that is exactly what I will do! BaBye Purina.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I just change from Iams to Purina One, wanted to try it because there were no Iams left... I did the change gradually like they recommend so the first week was half and half, the second week was only Purina One and that is when she started refusing to eat and it is not her style. She always had a good appetite, and then she started to hide more which was unusual because she likes to be with me in the living room. Then now she started vomiting all over the place!! I got worried and she refuse to eat their food! I gave her a Friskies can of salmon and she ate it all!! So, there you go, the proof right there!! Soo angry!!

Original review: July 5, 2019

Gave this food to my cats because our regular food was at our pet store which was closed for that day. My elder cat became lethargic and have a seizure. My baby kitten vomited up nothing but this food product. Both cats scream howled in pain while experiencing this. They are indoor pets not exposed to chemicals and fed a a consistent single product organic diet which they thrive on. This product is the only deviance. I hope to hell that my cats are not going to die as has happened in so many of the above reviews! Never buying this product again. Your company is dangerous and should not still be open.

Original review: June 14, 2019

On July 24th 2018 I fed my cats a new food, Purina Tender and Crunchy Combo. I purchased a 3 Ib bag of this via Walmart.com, thinking I would try something new. I fed this to my 8 cats, as a small snack, only 1 time. The biggest mistake I wish that I never had made. At first it was not that big of deal. It started the following morning, I awoke to one of my cats vomiting. Innocent enough because this has happened occasionally, if I used something different or they have hairballs. I quickly saw that this was so much more than that. By the end of that Sunday night all 8 were vomiting, to the point where it was almost pure blood. This was upwards of 100 times when it was all said and done.

I called the only available vet for being a weekend. He was convinced a toxin had to be in the food and said to throw it out. He was hopeful if the vomiting subsided that the cats would improve without needing vet care. This was the case for 6 of my 8, however, sadly I lost 2 of my kitties at 2 and at 4 days. The whole experience was agonizing by the end. To see what they were going through and know that I caused it by giving them something that I thought they would like.

Purina, in essence, killed my cats. If it was not for that purchase of their product I would still have my Little Man and Mario. I contacted Purina two days into the ordeal, requesting they pay for a vet visit. They finally gave in after the first cat died. So I made the appointment, I went to let my Mario know he was getting help only a few minutes after leaving the room. When I returned, he was no longer breathing. The injustice in that I cannot even explain or ever reconcile with. Mario was cheated.

I am an educated woman, I have been through a lot raising cats and am extremely knowledgeable about cat behavior and health. Yet I was completely unaware of how bad these 2 were doing until it was too late, and I KNOW that it was this food that harmed them. I am still in the process of getting justice for my Little Man and my Mario. At this point, Purina takes no accountability. They are in process of testing the food, but I am looking for more trustworthy entities to do so as well. I will wait and see.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I noticed feeding my cats the Purina brand cat food it's like they can't get full! One ate himself into obesity and became diabetic, now I am administering insulin to him twice a day. Yikes! So I monitor the others and every time they see me they go to their bowls like Purina doesn't satisfy them but has an addictive agent that makes them want more and it bloats them! I will be making the slow transition over to Tractor Supply's dry food. Something's gotta change. Purina's food is doing something horrible. I want them to eat but not gorge themselves and get health related problems. Goodbye Purina. I know you're messing with your ingredients to form addicts!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I am extremely angry that this company is still in business! My 8 year old friend has been sick for two weeks. Had her to the vet after diarrhea and frequent urinating, vomiting and lethargic. Now on antibiotics and pro biotics for 5 days and a diet of chicken, and veggies. She hasn't been herself. No jumping or playing. For a week and a half. Day 10 and we let her eat your food once again and we're back to square one with 8 piles of vomit one with blood clots and diarrhea. Haven't tried this brand before til a month weeks ago. I have to say I will never purchase it again and will be sure to spread the word of your toxic food. I'm at work at the moment extremely scared and hurt. This company is disgusting. Making yet again another vet appointment. Praying our baby can survive this nightmare! No more of your poison in my baby. You should be ashamed!

Original review: May 6, 2019

My Sophie was put on this food prescribed by the vet. I ordered the food from a website that was on the Tigard Animal Clinic’s website. They referred it. The vet said it wouldn’t hurt if my other furry kid JT ate it too. I received the food on Thursday and fed both. Took JT to the vet on Saturday as he was vomiting and diarrhea with blood. I fed him sweet potato and meds. He was fine later that day. Then on Wednesday Sophie has vomiting and diarrhea. From Thursday on, she became lethargic, wouldn’t eat, and vomit after drinking water. Her hind legs were so weak she couldn’t stand. Took her to the vet on Saturday to find her temp was low.

They did bloodwork and almost everything was failing. I was forced to make the decision. She was taken away from me at top speed with this food. She was fine before she ate this. No lethargic, eating and drinking normal. Walked, played, barked, and breathed normal. I know it was the food that elevated. JT survived because he’s bigger and stronger than Sophie. She’s just 4 lbs. She couldn’t handle the toxins from this food. Please take it off the market as it’s killing our furry kids. I’m devastated and blamed myself for allowing them to eat this brand. I’ll never forgive myself for her pain, suffering, and shortened life. My baby girl wouldn’t have gone this soon.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Our three cats have been eating Fancy Feast as a wet food for many years. One age is 8 years old the other two is 13. My eight year old started vomiting profusely and has now lost half his weight. The other two started throwing up but when we stopped feeding them Fancy Feast they stopped puking. I'm afraid I cannot save my 8 year old boy and I'm very disappointed that I cannot trust a company who has been around for many years. Shame on you Purina/Mars. If there was a lawsuit I'd be all over it making sure you paid for all the losses that you've caused. I tell everyone do not buy Purina ever. I don't know how you sleep at night!

Original review: April 11, 2019

My cat had been eating Science Diet for 11 years. A few months ago he stopped eating it so I was forced to try something new. I chose Purina One chicken formula, and he loved it. In under two months he had a urinary tract infection that completely blocked his urethra. Before he showed symptoms, bladder stones started to form. He just had emergency surgery to remove those stones. My vet is almost positive it was the food he was eating, though the stones have yet to be analyzed.

FLUTD is not common in cats his age, which is another reason my vet believes the Purina food is to blame. He's already on a prescription Science Diet food (whether he likes it or not) and will be for the remainder of his life thanks to Purina. It caused my cat over a week of pure misery, and it cost over $2500 in vet bills to bring him home alive.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I had been purchasing at Sam's Club and giving to my 3-1/2 year old Shih Tzu. She loved them. She became a very picky eater and started vomiting and diarrhea. She developed a urinary tract infection and had bad reactions to the antibiotics. Took her back to the vet and they did chest xrays to find out she has a nickel size stone that developed in her bladder. They said it could be due to dietary or hereditary. She goes in for surgery in a few days. Decided to read the reviews and surprised to see so many complaints. Sorry I did not check sooner. Hoping surgery goes well. Expensive lesson. I would suggest pet owners stop using this product. Pray for my Mimi.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This was my cat's favourite cat food until recently. I found these reviews and realised these cats are having the same health issues as my cat. Lethargic, high temperatures, kidney problems, won't eat, throwing up, Vet doesn't know what's wrong. He is 3 years old. When he got sick we only fed him Purina as it was his favourite and the most expensive. Now he won't go near it. This is appalling. It should all be recalled.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been buying Friskies wet food for my cats for several years, but recently (around the time labeling was changing), my cats starting refusing it. When they did eat it, they immediately threw up, and became lethargic. I didn't make the connection until last night, when I opened a can of Friskies, and the smell was so bad, I couldn't give it to my cats. I opened other cans, gave it to them, and they ate it, but immediately threw up---all 6 of them. I feel if I continue buying this food, my cats will become seriously ill. Even though the higher quality foods are more expensive, I feel my cats will be saved from future diseases and illnesses. I look like Purina to come clean, and tell us what they put in the Friskies wet food for real-something is not right.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information