1.97/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1449 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my female cat who LOVES canned food and lives for her feeding time refused to eat many of the flavors she normally ate. At the same time, I noticed my male eating and throwing up… A LOT. I have noticed it in certain canned Purina. Today I called the KC branch of the FDA and left a message. I was called back immediately and spoke with someone named Star. She asked me for the UPC's and the numbers on the bottom. I only had 4 cans still in my trash. Within 20 minutes she called me back again and told me to NOT FEED my cats any food with the last 4 numbers of 1159.

She explained it was all from one factory. She then instructed me to keep the food until I heard back from her, that the FDA may want to pick it up for testing. I was told that there had been several reports like mine and worse. She was a cat person herself. She explained that she did not want me to send a complaint to Purina, to let her handle it and she told me not to return it to the store because without a recall it would go right back into the stream of commerce and more animals would get sick. She also told me it was dog food and cat food and it was distributed from this plant nationwide.

So after work I start researching this issue only to find that the FDA knew of problems back in Sept and had issued a warning this month to the plant #1159. So the Representative who talked to you lied. They know there is a problem. WHY has there not been a recall? Why is Purina and the FDA allowing our pets to be further poisoned??

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

Purina Cat Chow Indoor dry cat food - My 4 cats have been eating this cat food for a while and they have all been acting sick. My oldest male started peeing blood. I took him to the vet. They said it was from the food. A female started being lethargic and before I could get her to the vet she disappeared. I cannot find her! The vet said when cats get sick they may go hide to pass. :(

We are devastated! I now have 3 cats that have been throwing up this food. I did not know what cat it was, but today I have witnessed all 3 throwing it up. I have been searching for a recall, but there is none right now so I wanted to make a post to help others to throw away Purina's poisoned food! After researching pet food I am shocked by all the poor animals that have suffered due to the money hungry companies putting the poisons in their food. I will buy my cat food from the vet from now on.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

I recently changed my 2 yr old Labrador's food, Purina Dog Chow, because of her incessant shedding and constantly acting hungry. (She would get 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night.) I switched to Purina One two days ago and my dog has thrown up three times and had a seizure tonight. I will be returning the bag to Wal Mart. My previous Labrador had the same reaction to Beneful dog food back in 2011, she was 9 yrs old at that time. After reading similar reviews of other brands of dog foods I am considering making my dog's food at home. My kids would be very upset seeing our pet die especially from a seizure.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

Purina Friskie's wet cat food made my cats sick and cost me big money at the vet. I have been rescuing and fostering cats for three years. I have been using Purina wet and dry food for years. Four of my younger cats suddenly began vomiting on 1/22/2015 and showing signs of intense stomach pain. I took the most ill cat (8 months old male) to the vet. After continued symptoms of abdominal pain, lethargy and loss of appetite, they suspected an intestinal blockage.

After a fecal lab test, abdominal X-rays and a three-day stay at the vet and a nearly $600 bill, I found out that the FDA had issued a Warning Letter to Nestle Purina PetCare on 1/2/15 regarding the very cat food that I had been feeding -- no killing -- my cats with. I removed all of the Friskie's wet food from my house. I will never buy Friskie's brand wet food again. I am considering having a laboratory analysis performed of the remaining sealed food cans and opening a civil suit for the cost of the care.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

My cat Julian was eating Purina Kit and Kaboodle. Started having very violent seizures. I had to take him to the emergency vet and say goodbye to my baby boy. I brought him home and buried him under a weeping willow sapling so he will be beautiful forever. I miss you baby. Jan 17. 2015 RIP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

My cat looks forward to getting her can food daily and she use to eat it all and I noticed a couple of weeks ago she started throwing it up and ruined my carpet with it. Purina was my pick of all of them, but seeing what my cat has gone through makes me buy any other brand because my cat means too much to see her die in front of me!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

Blue bag - tuna and seafood: Been using it for years. I blend some tuna into our tom's vet overweight food for palatability and recently mixed up a new "tub". Vomited Sunday. Vomited Monday. Vomited Tuesday. All the finely chewed kibble. Reduced the kibble to a small side portion and he held it down Wednesday and vomited the kibble only Thursday. Took him in for labs and they came back normal. This is coming to the attention of the veterinary community because it was suggested that "maybe he got some bad food". Moved them both to the expensive cans of Medley and they've been fine for several days.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

Purina One dog food - After reading all of these reviews I had to say something. I have 5 miniature schnauzers of varying ages and all eat Purina One dry food and have never had a problem. They have eaten this food over many years. I would rather feed my dogs than science diet or any other supposedly superior dog foods.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

I have bought my cats this food for years, but today am quite concerned. I have 7 cats, they are puking this food up, all of them, and for the most part will not hardly touch it, never a problem before. Concerned that it may be contaminated, bought them a different brand which they are eating. Is there something going on with Friskies? My cats are sick.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

I almost lost one of my kitties around Thanksgiving after opening a new bag of Purina Naturals. She was vomiting green bile, shaking, having trouble walking, and lethargic. I ended up having to take her to an emergency vet center and they were not optimistic at first. They gave her iv fluids and antibiotics, and I was able to bring her home a few days later. My other cat vomited a few times and was wobbly, but then she refused to eat the kibble anymore. I changed my girls' food and they have been fine ever since. I was blessed. I do not want Purina to continue hurting animals with their food. I reported my case on this website: www.safetyreporting.hhs.gov.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

I have been feeding various canned Friskies to 2 cats for several months. They loved pretty much any flavor put in front of them. Then they started turning up their noses at it. One of my cats has lost a couple of pounds and become somewhat lethargic. The other has also lost some weight because he will only eat the dry (non-Purina) food to feed his basic hunger after he's consumed a bit of the Friskies, which he never finishes eating anymore. His personality has also been "off" for the past few weeks, but there has been no blatant sign of serious illness.

But, it is now clear to me that something in the Friskies is different, because neither cat seems to particularly like any flavor when only a few weeks ago they really liked their Friskies. This stuff needs to be pulled off the shelves. And I've got around 40 cans that I will need to throw away.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

Purina cat chow - I am a cat breeder and have used this brand for years because my cats have sensitive stomachs. I have noticed that they have been all vomiting and having diarrhea. I also have a litter of kittens that are now All sick because of this food.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2015

I have been feeding both of my cats Purina One dry cat food for years. Within the last few weeks I purchased the Purina One Urinary Tract Adult dry food and within less than a few days my oldest cat began throwing up everywhere. On day two, I took him to the vet and she was concerned that he has swallowed something. However, after two more visits to the vet and X-rays, there was nothing in his stomach/system that should have been causing him to get this sick. I put him and my other cat on rice and chicken for a few days after the vet visit and surely enough the vomiting ceased.

The minute I returned the Purina One dry food the vomiting began again. I immediately threw away the contents of the bag and will never be buying this brand of food for my cats again. I have switched them to another brand of food and they have had no further issues. I am very upset at the risk that Purina is putting these animals at. If I had lost my cat, I couldn't imagine what I would do. They really need to have a recall on this food. My cats have never vomited in their lives until they ate this batch of food. How many cats/animals need to die for a recall? I bought this food in Arlington, VA at the Giant grocery store.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2015

Been buying Purina cat and dog food for over 13 yrs. I have never switch to another food. I dry food and can food.. never no problems. I don't know where this is coming from. They have never had any recalls the whole time I have been buying.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2015

I was feeding my cats Friskies and at first they loved it. Then for some reason they turned their noses up when I gave it to them. I am feeding three adult cats and 2 kittens. So I tried 9 lives and now they won't eat it either... (I wonder who makes 9 lives, I must google it) I also feed them dry food. They always loved Meow mix and I had no problems with it. Within the last two weeks, my cats are throwing up when I give them the meow mix I bought and they had the runs, and still have diarrhea. I stopped them from having the Meow Mix and the throwing up stopped. I had to take one to the vet and she didn't think it was the Purina pet food but they are not throwing up now, I am feeding them Hills Science Diet. No more purina for my cats.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

We have been feeding our 5 cats Purina Cat Chow (dry, original) for years and years. A few months ago they changed their formula. We noticed more vomiting - even from one who didn't vomit previously, but didn't think anything of it since a couple of our cats tend to vomit their food. In December our 14-yr old starting to lose weight and wasn't eating well. We brought him to vet and blood work was normal. His urine came back with high bacteria level and he was put in antibiotic. Note that his urine was collected at home in a non-sterile container (my fault - we do not know if he really had high bacteria level).

Throughout the next few weeks, he worsened - vomited bile, refused to eat completely. We made the hard decision to euthanize him. Forward 3 weeks... our 7-year-old begins to have the same symptoms - refusing to eat, lethargic. Blood work is normal but has 103 degree fever. Put on antibiotics and fluids. We switch food and do whatever we can to get this guy to eat (table food, canned food, chicken broth). He is getting much better. I believe that the new formula of Purina Cat Chow is somehow making cats sick. If you use this brand, stop immediately.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

I have been feeding my cats Purina for years, and had no problems. Now within the past couple of months I have noticed massive amounts of vomit all over my house. I have also noticed all of my cats have dry skin and dandruff. I also have a Siamese mix that acts like she is always hungry. I checked my bag of Purina and it has an expiration date of Feb. 2016. After reading all of the other complaints this only solidifies my feelings that it is the Purina making my cats sick. I am returning both unopened bags to the store and finding a new brand of cat food! Will be contacting Purina about the quality of their food.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

I have been feeding my cats Purina Cat Chow Complete for quite a while, and although they threw up occasionally I wasn't concerned because it's pretty common. Before I left for Christmas vacation for two weeks I couldn't get the Complete, they were out at my local store, so I got the Indoor formula. When I returned home after two weeks, my 3 cats had all lost weight. There was cat vomit everywhere and it was growing a black fungus on it. The fungus on one huge pile was about 6 inches high, black hair with little pods on the ends. It was disgusting. I picked up what I found around the house that was recent and threw it in the trash.

The next day when I put the trash out, what I had picked up when I got home was growing the same fungus and was already about 2 inches long. What on earth is in this stuff? I got another type of Purina cat chow this time and so far they are doing better. If they start this again I will definitely change brands of food and get off Purina. My dog eats Purina One lamb and rice and she is doing fine.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

I have 7 cats. 5 adults, 2 kittens about 3 months old. My cats have periodically vomited but it was so distant between each time and shrugged it off as something else. One of our kittens just completely stopped eating about 7 days ago. Just bought the bag of cat food about 10 days ago. He just stopped. He even refused wet canned food. My husband said he's not ever real hungry so just let him be and when he gets hungry, he will eat. 4 days later, he was skin and bones. His bones are sticking out so bad. He stopped drinking water too. No matter what I tried and other foods, he wouldn't do anything. All the while he was vomiting yellow mucus-looking stuff and his bowels were straight liquid also yellow with a mucus look to it. I got so worried I took him to the vet. My vet said he would put him on a general antibiotic for bacterial infection. Come back if he wasn't getting better after the 5th day of the meds.

He was just getting sicker. I made some banana oatmeal and put sugar and milk in it and he walked up to me smelling it. He's had the shakes really bad with weakness and severe pain. I said, "I know you won't eat it but here" and he started licking my spoon. Oatmeal at this point was better than starving to death and he was. He only ate a spoonful that night. 2 the next day. I couldn't figure out what caused him to be so sick. He doesn't ever go outside. 4 days ago, another one of my cats started vomiting all over the place and all day. He has hardly moved. The next day, 2 more of my cats started vomiting. That night, the other kitten was vomiting and his bowels were mucusy and really bad.

I couldn't connect them to the food until yesterday. I realized the only one that aren't sick at all are the 2 adult boys who are always outside until they wanna sleep then they come in. They barely ever eat in here. Usually they eat the food my neighbors leave out which they don't mind. All my other cats are losing weight horribly and quick but the 2 boys they are doubling in size. All of a sudden, it hit me it has to be the food. I'm positive. There is no other reason why my 5 cats would be deathly sick while the 2 boys are fine. The only connection is the food. So I immediately got it out of their bowls and put it away. I kept it though.

My cats have all stopped eating and are refusing anything and not drinking water. They don't drink out of a bowl. They like fresh running water so I leave the bathroom sink dripping and they drink from there. But they were refusing. Today I went and bought some different food - more expensive but it's natural stuff and great quality. I also bought a cat fountain so they didn't have to jump up into the sink. They are so weak and brittle, I'm afraid they will break a bone jumping down wrong. We came home and I opened the food and put it in their dishes and opened a can of wet food also from the pet health store and all of them started eating, even the babies.

Rue is finally getting better slowly and he's dropped 2 pounds. He only weighed 3, he's small. Now the other kitten and my adult cats are getting very, very sick. Shivering and rapid breathing, their eyes are staying open while they sleep and they look dead. Excruciating pain in the belly area. No fever. Vomiting and diarrhea and lethargy with massive weakness. My cats will never eat that food again. I understand food sometimes has a problem but this is 5 cats out of 7 and that's too scary for me and for them. I'm suffering watching them go through this but they are suffering like I've never seen before. I hope this helps someone who is looking for answers. The health store told me all the recent customers that have been coming in all said their cats or dogs are going through the same exact thing. I'm so sorry for anyone's loss. This is not right. Anyone with ideas on what we can do please email me.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

It's amazing after reading the experiences with Kirkland. We experienced the same thing but with Purina One Chows. I always thought it was the Chows that killed my dog (weimaraner) and then, two weeks later, my parent's dog (vizsla) but wasn't sure. The experiences you all have described with your dogs on Kirkland were THE same we experienced with ours. It is terrible and so sad! I contacted Purina One (this was in 2011) and they ignored my story. I later read another woman's story (tracing the UPC code) about her 3 golden retrievers who got violently sick and she was linking the food.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

Just started new bag and my big male cat who never throws up and has been eating this food for months and thriving, is suddenly throwing up as soon as he eats. I have tried resting his stomach, changed food and he is still vomiting food up. Seems fine other than he cannot hold food down. I really believe something is wrong with this lot of food!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

I was beginning to blame myself after my 10 years old cat died all of a sudden! I am surprised to read about other pet's owner concerns with Purina's food quality.

I fed my cats Purina brand for over 13 years, one of my cat died the first year, another cat of 12 yrs died two years ago, she was found with a non-invasive tumor 3 years prior to her death, she then died of cancer. I do recall her occasional vomits and obvious poor appetite during the last year of her life!

Yesterday, my 10 year old cat died of a sudden. I do noticed the diarrhea & vomits in the recent years and my cats gets better after their vet prescribe medicine & with a different brand of food for them. Nevertheless, since I have multiple cats, they all ate the same food, I continued to feed them Purina wet/dry food, it seems normal to me that they vomit from time to time! Of course, I only think it's the hairball issue! Now I am really worry, am I slowly killing all my cats because of the Purina food? Oh NO!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

Bought dog food from BJ'S. Looks ok but my dogs got very gassy. This morning my younger dog had pooped all over the down stairs. She won't eat . Throwing up bile and mucus. Tried to get her to eat rice and beef. Has no interest. Wanted to know if anyone else is complaining of issues with their animals. I feed them Purina one healthy weight. The older one is not interested either. She picks out the turkey pieces and puts them on the floor.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

My cat rescue efforts uses Kit & Kaboodle and has for 3 years with no problems. Starting about Fri. or Sat. Jan. 10, 2015 my indoor cats started having vomiting, heaves, diarrhea, non-eating and lethargy. They are not crying or showing pain. One cat appears more lethargic than the others and I am watching her carefully. I purchased a second bag in a different city and the problem persisted so I have removed all product and replaced with a new food. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

As far as I'm concerned, when the lives of people's pets become threatened from using your product, you don't get a second chance. Purina, I will never trust you again. One cat very sick, others will probably be ok. (blue side panel on box): best before oct 2016 42821789 16:32L21 4342.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

DO NOT TRUST THIS BRAND OF FOOD IT IS NO GOOD. Switched to Purina indoor cat food for my baby kitten and he loved it at first! Then about an hour later I realized he wasn't as jumpy and full of energy as he usually was. He then was throwing up all over the house the next day & didn't eat or drink anything at all. This went on for about 3 days. He was extremely weak and couldn't even stand up or catch himself when trying to get off the bed, he would spazz out and start twitching out of nowhere. Sadly we didn't have money to take him to the vet so we decided to give it another day 'cause we were gonna get money soon. We basically forced water into his mouth to keep him from dehydrating, but he refused to take in anymore food, we even bought him his old brand.

Then on the 4th day he kept crying and couldn't move, he tried getting up and collapsed and stayed there without even blinking. We then rushed him to the vet because it seemed extremely bad at that point & he died on the way. The sad thing is when I announced his death, I had another person tell me that his dog had experienced everything my cat did, then passed AFTER eating Purina for the first time. I'm pretty sure as for the rest of the reviews here...they can say the same thing.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

I have been buying Purina dog food for at least 15 years. My dogs went from Puppy Chow to Come and Get It. For the last month or more my dogs have all been throwing up and acting lethargic. I know it has to be the food. There is nothing else they have gotten into. I don't know if this is related but two of my dogs have recently started having seizures as well. I can understand 1 dog having a possible seizure but when more than 1 of your animals start having seizures that is just too coincidental especially when they are getting sick after eating! I will be switching to a different brand as my animals are like my children and I am worried about their health! It would devastate me to lose my babies!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I have been feeding my 2 dogs for about 3 months. I have a Golden and a Black Lab. The Golden is good about eating and looks like he's lost a little weight but not a lot. My Lab is the problem. He was gagging, coughing, and when he walked up steps he had worse episodes. I took him to the vet's and turns out he has a soft trachea plus, which is a genetic disorder. He is way overweight. He weighed 116. Vet told me I need to start walking him to lose weight. I am unable to walk him because of a disability. He has arthritis in his front legs, and his breathing problems, he can't walk very far. I changed my dogs to Purina Light and Healthy about 3 months ago, and my dogs absolutely love it. So far no adverse effects.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

Just as was mentioned in previous comments, we use Purina One Urinary Health and Purina One Hairball Formula. Two different cats and two different types of food. With new bags, after eating both cats will throw up. This has proceeded for 2 weeks until after accounting for any other event (hairballs, no; eating something indigestible, no; temporary illness, no). Switched to Trader Joe's cat food as a test and nothing, no barfing, nothing. So IT'S IN THE PURINA!!!! ALERT ALERT!!!! I'm returning bags to Petco and I better get a refund, thank god our kids didn't get KILLED!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

Food was contaminated when purchased -- I purchased a 34 lb. bag of the large breed focus puppy food and there were cobwebs and larvae inside the bag.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information