3.50/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1459 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 10, 2015

I had been feeding an elderly dog (19 years) and my 3 year old Great Pyr Purina Dog Chow for approximately 6 months. The older dog began having serious dandruff and shedding issues, along with trouble with her bowels, all of which I had chalked up to her age. My Great Pyr was losing clumps of hair continuously. Our yard looked like it was snowing from the hair loss. I switched to a high protein blend of dog food I purchased at Tractor Supply and every one of the issues I just listed disappeared. I will not buy Purina brand products for any of my animals (we have chickens, rabbits, cats, livestock) ever again! It borders on animal cruelty to me.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2015

My 8 yr old cat Oreo has been eating Purina Cat Chow Complete most of her life, except when she was little, she ate Purina Kitten Chow. The past few months she's been throwing up a lot. On Feb 5, 2015 she collapsed and died suddenly. The food looks different. Purina, you KILLED my precious baby girl!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2015

I don't know for sure if it's the dog food. However I can say that last Friday, he started puking. Thinking he maybe ate something that he didn't agree with, I switched him to a bland diet to see if he would feel better. He did so I put him back on Purina SmartBlend yesterday and now he's puking again. Is there a way to test the toxicity of his dry food? He is going off of it for good now if he makes it through this. Reading these reviews has been scary and eye-opening!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2015

Purina cat chow complete blue bag - I've always bought this specific kind for approximately 12 years, all my cats have always enjoyed this product. They would only eat this kind in particular, absolutely loved it for years. All I ever bought, would change it once in a while for a change of pace but my cats would always turn their nose up at other brands. The price never bothered me, it's a quality product, I'd swear by it.

But up until about a year or more maybe less, you've changed it with extra kibble in it. Now I'm having a hell of a time getting them to eat it again. They won't touch it now if barely, they pick out the new pieces and push out of dish or just will only eat bits of it. I can't get to eat it, they now turn their noses up at it. Why did you change it!? I'm having a hell of a time to get them to eat anything else.

I know they get bored with certain kinds after a while, I'd understand that but it's ridiculous. Not sure if the new blend changed the original flavor, but I've gone through so many different kinds, makes and such that not many compare to your original. I've finally found one blends at target, that's about the same shapes and possible taste but it's not always available, hard to find in larger bags, can only find 3 # bags.

I truly wish you didn't change your product. It's put thru such a run around and bags of uneatened bags of food. I had to give away or throw out, it's too expensive, not satisfied to say the least. Won't be buying your products much anymore for a while, and just so you know they won't eat any other formula especially the indoor kind, makes my cats throw up. I've tried, I just wish you'd stick with the original instead of trying to make it "even better"! Should've just left it alone! As they say "don't fix it if it ain't broke!" Ty, your very unsatisfied consumer!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2015

I fed Friskies Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Dinner classic pate canned food to my cat and right after eating it she started to shake. She then had a seizure and I had to rush her to the vet ER. There could be a toxin in this batch, best before date of Nov 2016. BEWARE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2015

I have more than one cat. But within the last week, week and a half one of my cats began to lose weight, have loose bowel movements and vomiting. I took her to the vet and she was given fluids on 2 occasions and we ran blood work on her. Her liver and kidneys were fine. She did not want to eat and was lethargic. I received meds to help with the diarrhea, nausea and lack of appetite.

I give my cats a variety of foods and decided to stop giving her the Fancy Feast wet. I switched to the Wellness and Natural Balance brands. Within in a few hours she was drinking less. Her stools began to firm up and I am seeing her perk up a bit more. There has been a change with Purina brand foods and it is affecting our pets! A recall will take months to occur so please, if your furry friend is showing any signs, like the ones I describe - get them to the Vet so they can get checked out and STOP giving them Fancy Feast or any Purina brand foods. The symptoms include: loose bowel movements, lethargy, really smelly bowel movements, increased thirst, vomiting. We have to look out for our furry family members, they depend on us!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

Wow. First, my heart and sympathy goes out to everyone who has lost a loved one or has dealt with any unfortunate health complications that may have been or was a direct result of tainted or substandard food and or negligence. I'll get to the point then my rant. Use Purina Foods for many years, pets have live long healthy lives. However, things have have come in to question over the last 3 to 4 years it seems. As of lately, two beautiful healthy kittens male and female Maine Coon mix just over a year old now. Have been feeding Beyond Natural and our female has vomited once in a while, say every couple of weeks or so. Chalked it up to eating too fast. Two days ago, she started just sitting in the bedroom kind of spaced out, not like her at all. Next day, same thing. Otherwise seemed "OK."

Today I noticed her face and head seemed swollen and more lethargic. Vomiting, light fever, and way out of it. Thought maybe she got stung or possible insect bite. However, no signs of injury that I could see. Started questioning the food after considering if any toxic substances where accessible. I hate (and I don't use that word lightly) these ** greedy corporations who will in my opinion, based on research, facts, and experience, anything for their bottom line. This, combined with what used to be our government in collusion with the corporations slanging pesticide laden toxic "foods" to us humans as well as our pets. This is not slander only, fact roundup is a pesticide and is toxic. Tip of the spear.

Reading these post is heartbreaking as well as how much I can't trust these companies and "it's probably the food." We like a lot of people when out a bought another bag, feel stupid just saying that. However, I am human and it is in our nature to want to trust others right? These corporations are not others though. Cat seems to be over the hump, still in bed. I trust in the universe night will bless us with sleep and dawn will bring a new day. I will not update if things improve.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

Two years ago, I lost my best friend, a malamute X German Shepherd. She went from a healthy, beautiful dog who was never sick, to skin and bones within a two weeks. There were two 8 week old kittens in the house at the same time. They were healthy kittens, very smart. Sheba, the dog we lost, always ate Pedigree, but she enjoyed the taste Alpo cookout classics. She loved it. So from time to time we would switch it up and give her Alpo as treat. Then she got sick. She was vomiting a clear mucus like substance, and having runny stool. She was 13 years old so we attributed it to her getting old, never really thought much of it. She seemed to be fine. She was her normal happy self. Then about 3 days later, she wouldn't eat anything. We tried all her favorite food, nothing, not a mouthful. She became emaciated very fast. Within a day, she couldn't walk on her own, her legs gave out completely. Within a couple days her organs shut down, she was just a shell.

While all this was going on, the two kittens died, they showed symptoms one day, the next, gone. Then the dog died. It all happened so fast. We didn't really have time to think. We figured it must have been Parvo because the symptoms fit so well. Never once did I think it was the food. Fast forward, 3 days ago, our 1 year old lab X boxer started having very runny stool, and vomiting. He, like Sheba, ate pedigree but liked Alpo. So trusting the Purina brand we would give it to him as a treat. Immediately after he started eating this bag, Alpo ranch house cookout classics, he had diarrhea. Then I started to put it all together. Sheba was eating the same type of Alpo when she got sick, and the kittens used to get into her dog food all the time. So I started researching, and simple Google search later, I found 1000's of cases just like ours. I was floored!

Losing Sheba was one of the worst times of my life, and today I'm living it all over again. I switched Hunter, the lab/boxer to boiled chicken and white rice today, and he instantly started to get better. I'm so heart broken, and all Purina did was offer me a coupon to recoup my losses. My losses are far greater than any monetary value, I lost my best friend. Not only did I lose her, but I unknowingly poisoned her to death. I have been commenting on their Facebook page and they keep removing my post. I feel disgusted and betrayed! How are they getting away with this?!?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

We have two 7-year-old indoor cats. We have noticed that both cats have been throwing up the dry cat food for a few weeks. We have changed from the Gentle style to the Indoor formula. This dry food appears to be causing the current problems. We tried smaller amounts in their bowls, serving it with wet food - with no change. I searched the net a few weeks back and found nothing much to alert us to any worries, and tonight I have come across all of these complaints. We will stop feeding them this dry food and avoid any Purina products.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

I have two cats ages 12 and 16 that have been eating Purina Cat Chow (blue bag) religiously for all their lives. In fact, they have absolutely refused to eat anything else, even can or better quality dry food despite my many attempts to try during their lives. I recently bought a new bag of the food and after attempts to eat it, they immediately started throwing up and having diarrhea. They quickly refused to eat anymore of it. I thought maybe it was just a bad batch, so bought another bag at a different store and they are having the same issues. After reading other reviews, I think I will go out and buy an entirely different brand today and see if my babies get their appetites back. If this works, no more Purina!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my female cat who LOVES canned food and lives for her feeding time refused to eat many of the flavors she normally ate. At the same time, I noticed my male eating and throwing up… A LOT. I have noticed it in certain canned Purina. Today I called the KC branch of the FDA and left a message. I was called back immediately and spoke with someone named Star. She asked me for the UPC's and the numbers on the bottom. I only had 4 cans still in my trash. Within 20 minutes she called me back again and told me to NOT FEED my cats any food with the last 4 numbers of 1159.

She explained it was all from one factory. She then instructed me to keep the food until I heard back from her, that the FDA may want to pick it up for testing. I was told that there had been several reports like mine and worse. She was a cat person herself. She explained that she did not want me to send a complaint to Purina, to let her handle it and she told me not to return it to the store because without a recall it would go right back into the stream of commerce and more animals would get sick. She also told me it was dog food and cat food and it was distributed from this plant nationwide.

So after work I start researching this issue only to find that the FDA knew of problems back in Sept and had issued a warning this month to the plant #1159. So the Representative who talked to you lied. They know there is a problem. WHY has there not been a recall? Why is Purina and the FDA allowing our pets to be further poisoned??

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

Purina Cat Chow Indoor dry cat food - My 4 cats have been eating this cat food for a while and they have all been acting sick. My oldest male started peeing blood. I took him to the vet. They said it was from the food. A female started being lethargic and before I could get her to the vet she disappeared. I cannot find her! The vet said when cats get sick they may go hide to pass. :(

We are devastated! I now have 3 cats that have been throwing up this food. I did not know what cat it was, but today I have witnessed all 3 throwing it up. I have been searching for a recall, but there is none right now so I wanted to make a post to help others to throw away Purina's poisoned food! After researching pet food I am shocked by all the poor animals that have suffered due to the money hungry companies putting the poisons in their food. I will buy my cat food from the vet from now on.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

I recently changed my 2 yr old Labrador's food, Purina Dog Chow, because of her incessant shedding and constantly acting hungry. (She would get 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night.) I switched to Purina One two days ago and my dog has thrown up three times and had a seizure tonight. I will be returning the bag to Wal Mart. My previous Labrador had the same reaction to Beneful dog food back in 2011, she was 9 yrs old at that time. After reading similar reviews of other brands of dog foods I am considering making my dog's food at home. My kids would be very upset seeing our pet die especially from a seizure.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

Purina Friskie's wet cat food made my cats sick and cost me big money at the vet. I have been rescuing and fostering cats for three years. I have been using Purina wet and dry food for years. Four of my younger cats suddenly began vomiting on 1/22/2015 and showing signs of intense stomach pain. I took the most ill cat (8 months old male) to the vet. After continued symptoms of abdominal pain, lethargy and loss of appetite, they suspected an intestinal blockage.

After a fecal lab test, abdominal X-rays and a three-day stay at the vet and a nearly $600 bill, I found out that the FDA had issued a Warning Letter to Nestle Purina PetCare on 1/2/15 regarding the very cat food that I had been feeding -- no killing -- my cats with. I removed all of the Friskie's wet food from my house. I will never buy Friskie's brand wet food again. I am considering having a laboratory analysis performed of the remaining sealed food cans and opening a civil suit for the cost of the care.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

My cat Julian was eating Purina Kit and Kaboodle. Started having very violent seizures. I had to take him to the emergency vet and say goodbye to my baby boy. I brought him home and buried him under a weeping willow sapling so he will be beautiful forever. I miss you baby. Jan 17. 2015 RIP.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

My cat looks forward to getting her can food daily and she use to eat it all and I noticed a couple of weeks ago she started throwing it up and ruined my carpet with it. Purina was my pick of all of them, but seeing what my cat has gone through makes me buy any other brand because my cat means too much to see her die in front of me!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

Blue bag - tuna and seafood: Been using it for years. I blend some tuna into our tom's vet overweight food for palatability and recently mixed up a new "tub". Vomited Sunday. Vomited Monday. Vomited Tuesday. All the finely chewed kibble. Reduced the kibble to a small side portion and he held it down Wednesday and vomited the kibble only Thursday. Took him in for labs and they came back normal. This is coming to the attention of the veterinary community because it was suggested that "maybe he got some bad food". Moved them both to the expensive cans of Medley and they've been fine for several days.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

Purina One dog food - After reading all of these reviews I had to say something. I have 5 miniature schnauzers of varying ages and all eat Purina One dry food and have never had a problem. They have eaten this food over many years. I would rather feed my dogs than science diet or any other supposedly superior dog foods.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

I have bought my cats this food for years, but today am quite concerned. I have 7 cats, they are puking this food up, all of them, and for the most part will not hardly touch it, never a problem before. Concerned that it may be contaminated, bought them a different brand which they are eating. Is there something going on with Friskies? My cats are sick.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

I almost lost one of my kitties around Thanksgiving after opening a new bag of Purina Naturals. She was vomiting green bile, shaking, having trouble walking, and lethargic. I ended up having to take her to an emergency vet center and they were not optimistic at first. They gave her iv fluids and antibiotics, and I was able to bring her home a few days later. My other cat vomited a few times and was wobbly, but then she refused to eat the kibble anymore. I changed my girls' food and they have been fine ever since. I was blessed. I do not want Purina to continue hurting animals with their food. I reported my case on this website: www.safetyreporting.hhs.gov.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

I have been feeding various canned Friskies to 2 cats for several months. They loved pretty much any flavor put in front of them. Then they started turning up their noses at it. One of my cats has lost a couple of pounds and become somewhat lethargic. The other has also lost some weight because he will only eat the dry (non-Purina) food to feed his basic hunger after he's consumed a bit of the Friskies, which he never finishes eating anymore. His personality has also been "off" for the past few weeks, but there has been no blatant sign of serious illness.

But, it is now clear to me that something in the Friskies is different, because neither cat seems to particularly like any flavor when only a few weeks ago they really liked their Friskies. This stuff needs to be pulled off the shelves. And I've got around 40 cans that I will need to throw away.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

Purina cat chow - I am a cat breeder and have used this brand for years because my cats have sensitive stomachs. I have noticed that they have been all vomiting and having diarrhea. I also have a litter of kittens that are now All sick because of this food.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2015

I have been feeding both of my cats Purina One dry cat food for years. Within the last few weeks I purchased the Purina One Urinary Tract Adult dry food and within less than a few days my oldest cat began throwing up everywhere. On day two, I took him to the vet and she was concerned that he has swallowed something. However, after two more visits to the vet and X-rays, there was nothing in his stomach/system that should have been causing him to get this sick. I put him and my other cat on rice and chicken for a few days after the vet visit and surely enough the vomiting ceased.

The minute I returned the Purina One dry food the vomiting began again. I immediately threw away the contents of the bag and will never be buying this brand of food for my cats again. I have switched them to another brand of food and they have had no further issues. I am very upset at the risk that Purina is putting these animals at. If I had lost my cat, I couldn't imagine what I would do. They really need to have a recall on this food. My cats have never vomited in their lives until they ate this batch of food. How many cats/animals need to die for a recall? I bought this food in Arlington, VA at the Giant grocery store.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2015

Been buying Purina cat and dog food for over 13 yrs. I have never switch to another food. I dry food and can food.. never no problems. I don't know where this is coming from. They have never had any recalls the whole time I have been buying.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2015

I was feeding my cats Friskies and at first they loved it. Then for some reason they turned their noses up when I gave it to them. I am feeding three adult cats and 2 kittens. So I tried 9 lives and now they won't eat it either... (I wonder who makes 9 lives, I must google it) I also feed them dry food. They always loved Meow mix and I had no problems with it. Within the last two weeks, my cats are throwing up when I give them the meow mix I bought and they had the runs, and still have diarrhea. I stopped them from having the Meow Mix and the throwing up stopped. I had to take one to the vet and she didn't think it was the Purina pet food but they are not throwing up now, I am feeding them Hills Science Diet. No more purina for my cats.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

We have been feeding our 5 cats Purina Cat Chow (dry, original) for years and years. A few months ago they changed their formula. We noticed more vomiting - even from one who didn't vomit previously, but didn't think anything of it since a couple of our cats tend to vomit their food. In December our 14-yr old starting to lose weight and wasn't eating well. We brought him to vet and blood work was normal. His urine came back with high bacteria level and he was put in antibiotic. Note that his urine was collected at home in a non-sterile container (my fault - we do not know if he really had high bacteria level).

Throughout the next few weeks, he worsened - vomited bile, refused to eat completely. We made the hard decision to euthanize him. Forward 3 weeks... our 7-year-old begins to have the same symptoms - refusing to eat, lethargic. Blood work is normal but has 103 degree fever. Put on antibiotics and fluids. We switch food and do whatever we can to get this guy to eat (table food, canned food, chicken broth). He is getting much better. I believe that the new formula of Purina Cat Chow is somehow making cats sick. If you use this brand, stop immediately.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

I have been feeding my cats Purina for years, and had no problems. Now within the past couple of months I have noticed massive amounts of vomit all over my house. I have also noticed all of my cats have dry skin and dandruff. I also have a Siamese mix that acts like she is always hungry. I checked my bag of Purina and it has an expiration date of Feb. 2016. After reading all of the other complaints this only solidifies my feelings that it is the Purina making my cats sick. I am returning both unopened bags to the store and finding a new brand of cat food! Will be contacting Purina about the quality of their food.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

I have been feeding my cats Purina Cat Chow Complete for quite a while, and although they threw up occasionally I wasn't concerned because it's pretty common. Before I left for Christmas vacation for two weeks I couldn't get the Complete, they were out at my local store, so I got the Indoor formula. When I returned home after two weeks, my 3 cats had all lost weight. There was cat vomit everywhere and it was growing a black fungus on it. The fungus on one huge pile was about 6 inches high, black hair with little pods on the ends. It was disgusting. I picked up what I found around the house that was recent and threw it in the trash.

The next day when I put the trash out, what I had picked up when I got home was growing the same fungus and was already about 2 inches long. What on earth is in this stuff? I got another type of Purina cat chow this time and so far they are doing better. If they start this again I will definitely change brands of food and get off Purina. My dog eats Purina One lamb and rice and she is doing fine.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

I have 7 cats. 5 adults, 2 kittens about 3 months old. My cats have periodically vomited but it was so distant between each time and shrugged it off as something else. One of our kittens just completely stopped eating about 7 days ago. Just bought the bag of cat food about 10 days ago. He just stopped. He even refused wet canned food. My husband said he's not ever real hungry so just let him be and when he gets hungry, he will eat. 4 days later, he was skin and bones. His bones are sticking out so bad. He stopped drinking water too. No matter what I tried and other foods, he wouldn't do anything. All the while he was vomiting yellow mucus-looking stuff and his bowels were straight liquid also yellow with a mucus look to it. I got so worried I took him to the vet. My vet said he would put him on a general antibiotic for bacterial infection. Come back if he wasn't getting better after the 5th day of the meds.

He was just getting sicker. I made some banana oatmeal and put sugar and milk in it and he walked up to me smelling it. He's had the shakes really bad with weakness and severe pain. I said, "I know you won't eat it but here" and he started licking my spoon. Oatmeal at this point was better than starving to death and he was. He only ate a spoonful that night. 2 the next day. I couldn't figure out what caused him to be so sick. He doesn't ever go outside. 4 days ago, another one of my cats started vomiting all over the place and all day. He has hardly moved. The next day, 2 more of my cats started vomiting. That night, the other kitten was vomiting and his bowels were mucusy and really bad.

I couldn't connect them to the food until yesterday. I realized the only one that aren't sick at all are the 2 adult boys who are always outside until they wanna sleep then they come in. They barely ever eat in here. Usually they eat the food my neighbors leave out which they don't mind. All my other cats are losing weight horribly and quick but the 2 boys they are doubling in size. All of a sudden, it hit me it has to be the food. I'm positive. There is no other reason why my 5 cats would be deathly sick while the 2 boys are fine. The only connection is the food. So I immediately got it out of their bowls and put it away. I kept it though.

My cats have all stopped eating and are refusing anything and not drinking water. They don't drink out of a bowl. They like fresh running water so I leave the bathroom sink dripping and they drink from there. But they were refusing. Today I went and bought some different food - more expensive but it's natural stuff and great quality. I also bought a cat fountain so they didn't have to jump up into the sink. They are so weak and brittle, I'm afraid they will break a bone jumping down wrong. We came home and I opened the food and put it in their dishes and opened a can of wet food also from the pet health store and all of them started eating, even the babies.

Rue is finally getting better slowly and he's dropped 2 pounds. He only weighed 3, he's small. Now the other kitten and my adult cats are getting very, very sick. Shivering and rapid breathing, their eyes are staying open while they sleep and they look dead. Excruciating pain in the belly area. No fever. Vomiting and diarrhea and lethargy with massive weakness. My cats will never eat that food again. I understand food sometimes has a problem but this is 5 cats out of 7 and that's too scary for me and for them. I'm suffering watching them go through this but they are suffering like I've never seen before. I hope this helps someone who is looking for answers. The health store told me all the recent customers that have been coming in all said their cats or dogs are going through the same exact thing. I'm so sorry for anyone's loss. This is not right. Anyone with ideas on what we can do please email me.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

It's amazing after reading the experiences with Kirkland. We experienced the same thing but with Purina One Chows. I always thought it was the Chows that killed my dog (weimaraner) and then, two weeks later, my parent's dog (vizsla) but wasn't sure. The experiences you all have described with your dogs on Kirkland were THE same we experienced with ours. It is terrible and so sad! I contacted Purina One (this was in 2011) and they ignored my story. I later read another woman's story (tracing the UPC code) about her 3 golden retrievers who got violently sick and she was linking the food.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information