2.17/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1440 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

I almost lost one of my kitties around Thanksgiving after opening a new bag of Purina Naturals. She was vomiting green bile, shaking, having trouble walking, and lethargic. I ended up having to take her to an emergency vet center and they were not optimistic at first. They gave her iv fluids and antibiotics, and I was able to bring her home a few days later. My other cat vomited a few times and was wobbly, but then she refused to eat the kibble anymore. I changed my girls' food and they have been fine ever since. I was blessed. I do not want Purina to continue hurting animals with their food. I reported my case on this website: www.safetyreporting.hhs.gov.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

I have been feeding various canned Friskies to 2 cats for several months. They loved pretty much any flavor put in front of them. Then they started turning up their noses at it. One of my cats has lost a couple of pounds and become somewhat lethargic. The other has also lost some weight because he will only eat the dry (non-Purina) food to feed his basic hunger after he's consumed a bit of the Friskies, which he never finishes eating anymore. His personality has also been "off" for the past few weeks, but there has been no blatant sign of serious illness.

But, it is now clear to me that something in the Friskies is different, because neither cat seems to particularly like any flavor when only a few weeks ago they really liked their Friskies. This stuff needs to be pulled off the shelves. And I've got around 40 cans that I will need to throw away.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

Purina cat chow - I am a cat breeder and have used this brand for years because my cats have sensitive stomachs. I have noticed that they have been all vomiting and having diarrhea. I also have a litter of kittens that are now All sick because of this food.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2015

I have been feeding both of my cats Purina One dry cat food for years. Within the last few weeks I purchased the Purina One Urinary Tract Adult dry food and within less than a few days my oldest cat began throwing up everywhere. On day two, I took him to the vet and she was concerned that he has swallowed something. However, after two more visits to the vet and X-rays, there was nothing in his stomach/system that should have been causing him to get this sick. I put him and my other cat on rice and chicken for a few days after the vet visit and surely enough the vomiting ceased.

The minute I returned the Purina One dry food the vomiting began again. I immediately threw away the contents of the bag and will never be buying this brand of food for my cats again. I have switched them to another brand of food and they have had no further issues. I am very upset at the risk that Purina is putting these animals at. If I had lost my cat, I couldn't imagine what I would do. They really need to have a recall on this food. My cats have never vomited in their lives until they ate this batch of food. How many cats/animals need to die for a recall? I bought this food in Arlington, VA at the Giant grocery store.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2015

Been buying Purina cat and dog food for over 13 yrs. I have never switch to another food. I dry food and can food.. never no problems. I don't know where this is coming from. They have never had any recalls the whole time I have been buying.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2015

I was feeding my cats Friskies and at first they loved it. Then for some reason they turned their noses up when I gave it to them. I am feeding three adult cats and 2 kittens. So I tried 9 lives and now they won't eat it either... (I wonder who makes 9 lives, I must google it) I also feed them dry food. They always loved Meow mix and I had no problems with it. Within the last two weeks, my cats are throwing up when I give them the meow mix I bought and they had the runs, and still have diarrhea. I stopped them from having the Meow Mix and the throwing up stopped. I had to take one to the vet and she didn't think it was the Purina pet food but they are not throwing up now, I am feeding them Hills Science Diet. No more purina for my cats.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

We have been feeding our 5 cats Purina Cat Chow (dry, original) for years and years. A few months ago they changed their formula. We noticed more vomiting - even from one who didn't vomit previously, but didn't think anything of it since a couple of our cats tend to vomit their food. In December our 14-yr old starting to lose weight and wasn't eating well. We brought him to vet and blood work was normal. His urine came back with high bacteria level and he was put in antibiotic. Note that his urine was collected at home in a non-sterile container (my fault - we do not know if he really had high bacteria level).

Throughout the next few weeks, he worsened - vomited bile, refused to eat completely. We made the hard decision to euthanize him. Forward 3 weeks... our 7-year-old begins to have the same symptoms - refusing to eat, lethargic. Blood work is normal but has 103 degree fever. Put on antibiotics and fluids. We switch food and do whatever we can to get this guy to eat (table food, canned food, chicken broth). He is getting much better. I believe that the new formula of Purina Cat Chow is somehow making cats sick. If you use this brand, stop immediately.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

I have been feeding my cats Purina for years, and had no problems. Now within the past couple of months I have noticed massive amounts of vomit all over my house. I have also noticed all of my cats have dry skin and dandruff. I also have a Siamese mix that acts like she is always hungry. I checked my bag of Purina and it has an expiration date of Feb. 2016. After reading all of the other complaints this only solidifies my feelings that it is the Purina making my cats sick. I am returning both unopened bags to the store and finding a new brand of cat food! Will be contacting Purina about the quality of their food.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

I have been feeding my cats Purina Cat Chow Complete for quite a while, and although they threw up occasionally I wasn't concerned because it's pretty common. Before I left for Christmas vacation for two weeks I couldn't get the Complete, they were out at my local store, so I got the Indoor formula. When I returned home after two weeks, my 3 cats had all lost weight. There was cat vomit everywhere and it was growing a black fungus on it. The fungus on one huge pile was about 6 inches high, black hair with little pods on the ends. It was disgusting. I picked up what I found around the house that was recent and threw it in the trash.

The next day when I put the trash out, what I had picked up when I got home was growing the same fungus and was already about 2 inches long. What on earth is in this stuff? I got another type of Purina cat chow this time and so far they are doing better. If they start this again I will definitely change brands of food and get off Purina. My dog eats Purina One lamb and rice and she is doing fine.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

I have 7 cats. 5 adults, 2 kittens about 3 months old. My cats have periodically vomited but it was so distant between each time and shrugged it off as something else. One of our kittens just completely stopped eating about 7 days ago. Just bought the bag of cat food about 10 days ago. He just stopped. He even refused wet canned food. My husband said he's not ever real hungry so just let him be and when he gets hungry, he will eat. 4 days later, he was skin and bones. His bones are sticking out so bad. He stopped drinking water too. No matter what I tried and other foods, he wouldn't do anything. All the while he was vomiting yellow mucus-looking stuff and his bowels were straight liquid also yellow with a mucus look to it. I got so worried I took him to the vet. My vet said he would put him on a general antibiotic for bacterial infection. Come back if he wasn't getting better after the 5th day of the meds.

He was just getting sicker. I made some banana oatmeal and put sugar and milk in it and he walked up to me smelling it. He's had the shakes really bad with weakness and severe pain. I said, "I know you won't eat it but here" and he started licking my spoon. Oatmeal at this point was better than starving to death and he was. He only ate a spoonful that night. 2 the next day. I couldn't figure out what caused him to be so sick. He doesn't ever go outside. 4 days ago, another one of my cats started vomiting all over the place and all day. He has hardly moved. The next day, 2 more of my cats started vomiting. That night, the other kitten was vomiting and his bowels were mucusy and really bad.

I couldn't connect them to the food until yesterday. I realized the only one that aren't sick at all are the 2 adult boys who are always outside until they wanna sleep then they come in. They barely ever eat in here. Usually they eat the food my neighbors leave out which they don't mind. All my other cats are losing weight horribly and quick but the 2 boys they are doubling in size. All of a sudden, it hit me it has to be the food. I'm positive. There is no other reason why my 5 cats would be deathly sick while the 2 boys are fine. The only connection is the food. So I immediately got it out of their bowls and put it away. I kept it though.

My cats have all stopped eating and are refusing anything and not drinking water. They don't drink out of a bowl. They like fresh running water so I leave the bathroom sink dripping and they drink from there. But they were refusing. Today I went and bought some different food - more expensive but it's natural stuff and great quality. I also bought a cat fountain so they didn't have to jump up into the sink. They are so weak and brittle, I'm afraid they will break a bone jumping down wrong. We came home and I opened the food and put it in their dishes and opened a can of wet food also from the pet health store and all of them started eating, even the babies.

Rue is finally getting better slowly and he's dropped 2 pounds. He only weighed 3, he's small. Now the other kitten and my adult cats are getting very, very sick. Shivering and rapid breathing, their eyes are staying open while they sleep and they look dead. Excruciating pain in the belly area. No fever. Vomiting and diarrhea and lethargy with massive weakness. My cats will never eat that food again. I understand food sometimes has a problem but this is 5 cats out of 7 and that's too scary for me and for them. I'm suffering watching them go through this but they are suffering like I've never seen before. I hope this helps someone who is looking for answers. The health store told me all the recent customers that have been coming in all said their cats or dogs are going through the same exact thing. I'm so sorry for anyone's loss. This is not right. Anyone with ideas on what we can do please email me.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

It's amazing after reading the experiences with Kirkland. We experienced the same thing but with Purina One Chows. I always thought it was the Chows that killed my dog (weimaraner) and then, two weeks later, my parent's dog (vizsla) but wasn't sure. The experiences you all have described with your dogs on Kirkland were THE same we experienced with ours. It is terrible and so sad! I contacted Purina One (this was in 2011) and they ignored my story. I later read another woman's story (tracing the UPC code) about her 3 golden retrievers who got violently sick and she was linking the food.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

Just started new bag and my big male cat who never throws up and has been eating this food for months and thriving, is suddenly throwing up as soon as he eats. I have tried resting his stomach, changed food and he is still vomiting food up. Seems fine other than he cannot hold food down. I really believe something is wrong with this lot of food!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

I was beginning to blame myself after my 10 years old cat died all of a sudden! I am surprised to read about other pet's owner concerns with Purina's food quality.

I fed my cats Purina brand for over 13 years, one of my cat died the first year, another cat of 12 yrs died two years ago, she was found with a non-invasive tumor 3 years prior to her death, she then died of cancer. I do recall her occasional vomits and obvious poor appetite during the last year of her life!

Yesterday, my 10 year old cat died of a sudden. I do noticed the diarrhea & vomits in the recent years and my cats gets better after their vet prescribe medicine & with a different brand of food for them. Nevertheless, since I have multiple cats, they all ate the same food, I continued to feed them Purina wet/dry food, it seems normal to me that they vomit from time to time! Of course, I only think it's the hairball issue! Now I am really worry, am I slowly killing all my cats because of the Purina food? Oh NO!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

Bought dog food from BJ'S. Looks ok but my dogs got very gassy. This morning my younger dog had pooped all over the down stairs. She won't eat . Throwing up bile and mucus. Tried to get her to eat rice and beef. Has no interest. Wanted to know if anyone else is complaining of issues with their animals. I feed them Purina one healthy weight. The older one is not interested either. She picks out the turkey pieces and puts them on the floor.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

My cat rescue efforts uses Kit & Kaboodle and has for 3 years with no problems. Starting about Fri. or Sat. Jan. 10, 2015 my indoor cats started having vomiting, heaves, diarrhea, non-eating and lethargy. They are not crying or showing pain. One cat appears more lethargic than the others and I am watching her carefully. I purchased a second bag in a different city and the problem persisted so I have removed all product and replaced with a new food. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

As far as I'm concerned, when the lives of people's pets become threatened from using your product, you don't get a second chance. Purina, I will never trust you again. One cat very sick, others will probably be ok. (blue side panel on box): best before oct 2016 42821789 16:32L21 4342.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

DO NOT TRUST THIS BRAND OF FOOD IT IS NO GOOD. Switched to Purina indoor cat food for my baby kitten and he loved it at first! Then about an hour later I realized he wasn't as jumpy and full of energy as he usually was. He then was throwing up all over the house the next day & didn't eat or drink anything at all. This went on for about 3 days. He was extremely weak and couldn't even stand up or catch himself when trying to get off the bed, he would spazz out and start twitching out of nowhere. Sadly we didn't have money to take him to the vet so we decided to give it another day 'cause we were gonna get money soon. We basically forced water into his mouth to keep him from dehydrating, but he refused to take in anymore food, we even bought him his old brand.

Then on the 4th day he kept crying and couldn't move, he tried getting up and collapsed and stayed there without even blinking. We then rushed him to the vet because it seemed extremely bad at that point & he died on the way. The sad thing is when I announced his death, I had another person tell me that his dog had experienced everything my cat did, then passed AFTER eating Purina for the first time. I'm pretty sure as for the rest of the reviews here...they can say the same thing.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

I have been buying Purina dog food for at least 15 years. My dogs went from Puppy Chow to Come and Get It. For the last month or more my dogs have all been throwing up and acting lethargic. I know it has to be the food. There is nothing else they have gotten into. I don't know if this is related but two of my dogs have recently started having seizures as well. I can understand 1 dog having a possible seizure but when more than 1 of your animals start having seizures that is just too coincidental especially when they are getting sick after eating! I will be switching to a different brand as my animals are like my children and I am worried about their health! It would devastate me to lose my babies!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I have been feeding my 2 dogs for about 3 months. I have a Golden and a Black Lab. The Golden is good about eating and looks like he's lost a little weight but not a lot. My Lab is the problem. He was gagging, coughing, and when he walked up steps he had worse episodes. I took him to the vet's and turns out he has a soft trachea plus, which is a genetic disorder. He is way overweight. He weighed 116. Vet told me I need to start walking him to lose weight. I am unable to walk him because of a disability. He has arthritis in his front legs, and his breathing problems, he can't walk very far. I changed my dogs to Purina Light and Healthy about 3 months ago, and my dogs absolutely love it. So far no adverse effects.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

Just as was mentioned in previous comments, we use Purina One Urinary Health and Purina One Hairball Formula. Two different cats and two different types of food. With new bags, after eating both cats will throw up. This has proceeded for 2 weeks until after accounting for any other event (hairballs, no; eating something indigestible, no; temporary illness, no). Switched to Trader Joe's cat food as a test and nothing, no barfing, nothing. So IT'S IN THE PURINA!!!! ALERT ALERT!!!! I'm returning bags to Petco and I better get a refund, thank god our kids didn't get KILLED!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

Food was contaminated when purchased -- I purchased a 34 lb. bag of the large breed focus puppy food and there were cobwebs and larvae inside the bag.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

My cat died at the vet Thursday morning, 1/8/15. 3 years old. Showed no symptoms of being sick. We came home to him slumped in the floor, like he'd been hit by a car... though that wasn't possible since he was an indoor cat. After taking him to the vet, the vet told us he had a massive UTI, caused by his food, PURINA, and it was in his blood stream. His urethra was so full of crystals it was like sand. After the Dr worked on him for hours we thought he would live if he could just make it through the night. Alas, he did not make it, and we are devastated to know we had been slowly poisoning him, along with our other 8 furbabies.

One cat was put on medication...is still trying to recover and the others were put on a prescription diet. Apparently it's worse on male animals than females. The vet said he was saddened on how many he deals with, the same way. How can this company still be around killing our pets since 1957? I've started making flyers and passing them out to try and help others. I will never forgive what has happened! FDA approved? Disgusting! Don't feed your pets PURINA!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2015

Do not feed your cats Purina Friskies Grillers purchased from Walmart 1-8-2015. One cat dead 1-11-15 and my other cat still sick. Vomited til he died blood red. Thanks Purina for killing my cat and the bag is the recalled number from 2012 16 pound bag #50000. Do not feed your cat unless you want them dead.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2015

After eating this dog food, our Boston Terrier immediately experienced a number of very serious problems including liquid stool and vomiting so bad we almost took her to emergency care shortly before Christmas. She also developed a problem with her hind legs where they would shake uncontrollably causing her to fall mid-walk while her leg just pounded the floor. It was heartbreaking. This same behavior was exhibited one other time, oddly it was again during a time when we had run out of her regular food and had purchased ONE. A year ago our dog had a FCE which is a spinal stroke causing her complete paralysis from the neck down. At that time, she was also on this food. It took us some time to understand what was causing it, if we had known, we would have NEVER have given her more of that food.

Over Christmas break 2014, and after 3-4 days of these leg seizures, we thought maybe it was the food. To our SHOCK, as soon as she was taken off it, within 48 hours, the leg spasms cleared up. I'm now convinced it was due to this food AND worry that the food has something in it that is causing these neurological problems. I've seen several other posts stating the same thing happened to their dogs. If you have experienced this, please, let's try to connect. I am starting a page on Facebook called PurinaHurtMyPet. Please look for it, join, and share your story. We need to band together to keep innocent pets from being hurt. I'm so sad that I gave my little dog this food, not once, but several times over the past couple years, when we needed food and couldn't get to the store that carries her normal brand. I just hope that with time, she will get better, she won't have any long standing problems from eating it.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2015

I've always fed my cats different varieties of Friskies canned food. Last weekend I purchased several canned varieties. Everyone scurried to eat the chicken with cheese. I noticed no one ate very much and were checking each other's bowls and kind of turning up their noses. I have had 2 sick kitties; throwing up and diarrhea. I just paid a hefty vet bill. He still has diarrhea and acts like he's hungry. He hasn't eaten in days, but won't eat. He will have to go back tomorrow if he hasn't eaten and or if diarrhea still persists. I looked for a recall on these cans but I don't find any. Someone suggested contact FDA. How is the best way to do this? I am very discouraged. Any good wet food recommendations?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2015

I'm fairly certain the new Purina Cat Chow - blue bag - killed my cats. We have always fed the same food. Then they switched formulas. Our very first bag of the new formula was purchased about 2 months ago. Within a few days my cat Callie was sick. Started with vomiting, then vomiting bright green bile. Vet had no idea what was causing it. Eventually she quit eating completely and the vomiting stopped. But this was after a couple weeks and the damage was done. She wouldn't eat anything. I had to give her sub q fluids daily and was force feeding her wet cat food. After about a month, her organs were failing and we had to put her to sleep.

Then my other cat, Black. She was 7 years old. We thought at first when she wasn't eating, that she was just depressed. Then she was showing similar symptoms as Callie, and within a week she couldn't breathe - I assume organ failure like Callie - and we had to put her down as well. The ONLY thing that changed was the new formula of cat food. They were both indoor only all of their lives. There was nothing new or dangerous in our house, we have 2 toddlers so there isn't anything they could've gotten into (our house is kid proof so obviously pet proof!). Like I said the vet had no idea. They agreed it started in the stomach, but had no idea with either cat what the cause was. The images below are pictures of the bag that caused the problem. Purina cat chow, expiration Feb 2016.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I recently bought a new bag of Purina One Smart Blend Hairball formula. About the same time my cat, who has been on this food for years began throwing up. Then I realized he had started eating the dog's dry food. Still, didn't dawn on me. Last night I removed the dog food and this morning kitty ate the Purina dry food again, and almost immediately threw it up. I gave him some wet cat food, he was happy and went to sleep. My cat has never thrown up that I can recall. I will not be feeding him any more of this food.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I have been feeding Purina Kitten Kaboodle to my cats for 5 years. I do have 13 cats and 2 kittens. I have never had a problem with the food until the last 2 bags I purchased. Five of my cats live in the barn, 4 live inside and 6 outside and in the garage. I have found cat throw up piles everywhere. I guess I will change the food I feed even though I just bought 2 new bags and just started using them. This all started after I started feeding the new bags I just purchased. I looked for a recall on the food and cannot find anything or any info.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I bought my cats purina kits and kaboodles cat food. They got sick hours after eating this cat food. Sadly my little Scottish fold died a day and a half later. She is a very expensive cat and more than that she was my baby. I never loved animal as much as I loved that sweet little baby. When I woke up this morning and found she was dead I have been absolutely devastated all day long. My heart is torn over this! Do not give your animals purina if you don't want to lose them like I lost mine. She didn't last two days. She wasn't just a cat - she was my baby and she was family. The other are cats are still not feeling well. I am so broken I can never have my baby back.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2015

I have 14 cats that I have been feeding Purina dry food for years. For the past 2 months, my cats, all of them, have started throwing up their food. I have 3 cats that are throwing up blood along with their food. I've had one large vet bill, and the vet cannot understand what is wrong with my cats. So, tomorrow, I will be going to get a different dry food brand and it will NOT be Purina.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information