2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: March 8, 2015

First of all I did not want to write this post. I did not want to put my problems and issues on the web. But when I heard that there may or may not be a problem with what our animals are being fed I knew I owed it to my dog to give any information I had to try and effect a change if needed. I do not want money, sympathy, or anything else from Purina, or anyone reading this I want change where change is needed. I want to be able to trust that when I am buying a product that is meant to nourish and strengthen that it will.

My dog's name was Roman, he was 1 year 3 months old when he died. He had not had any health problems in his short life until the day he died. I had raised him since he was 6 weeks old, and he had eaten Purina since he was old enough to move from puppy food to dog food. I returned home one night from work to find my dog completely non responsive in a pool of his own waste, which stretched through most of my apartment. I took him to the vet. They told me that he had a seizure or seizures and went into a coma. I was forced to put my best friend down. I had opened a new bag of Purina that week. Whether or not that was the cause of his death I do not know.

Original review: March 6, 2015

OMG I wish I'd seen this sooner. Our healthy kitty started vomiting and progressed to a severe illness with huge enlarged kidney and shriveled liver. We had to put him to sleep and now I see this. I'm devastated. We have fed fancy feast and other of their foods. PURINA DID YOU KILL MY KITTY???

Original review: March 5, 2015

I am a breeder of small dogs for 20 years and have always used Purina dog foods and have never had a problem. Yesterday I bought my regular dog food which is Purina Healthy Morsels and Purina Little Bites (I mix them together) and today more than half of my dogs have stomach aches and are eating grass! It concerns me because I have 2 litters nursing.

Original review: March 5, 2015

As a consumer I am very upset by the lack of attention that is being paid by the Purina pet food company. My cat has become deathly ill due to their product and like others it's unfair that our loving pets have to suffer as well as ourselves watching the health of our pets deteriorate so rapidly. I really hope by submitting this review something will be done to at least ease the hearts of those who have been forced to watch their pets suffer or even die from the poison that has been so carelessly been put on the market with no warning what so ever. My deepest condolence to those whose pets had to suffer such a tragic experience. It's simply careless and inhumane on the part of the Purina corporation.

Original review: March 4, 2015

After using Purina Indoor Cat Food for quite a while I purchased the 22-pound size from Walmart and all my cats began throwing up. One died. Don't buy Purina. It could kill your beloved pets.

Original review: March 4, 2015

Normally, my cat eats 9 Lives -- I consider it to be the cat version of junk food, but he loves it and has been on it for most of his life, and I normally halve it with some more "healthy" cat food, like Iams. About 3 weeks ago, I had to buy Purina Cat Chow because the store was out of his regular food, and it was snowing like a banshee outside. I have a 6.5 year old domestic longhair with a vibrant health history (always a good eater, no GI or UTI issues). Solitary, indoor-only animal, not exposed to other animals, and normally very lively. This past week, he went from eating like a champ to complete lethargy, nauseous, and refusing to eat ANYTHING. He was running a fever, so I took him to the vet immediately, as there was a little clear discharge from his eye and nose. He has now been at the vet on IV, steroids for almost a week, and he all of a sudden seems to have IBD or some other gastro-intestinal issue and is being given appetite stimulants to eat...

We are talking about a cat who had throat surgery when he was a kitten and the first thing he did when he came out of anesthesia was eat, so my vet is finding this situation quite alarming and perplexing as there are no dental issues, no masses in the GI tract, no obvious lesions showing in the tests, and all other things seem to be ruled out so far, one by one. The only thing I can wonder is if it was the cat food, as no other causes have been found.... I never want to have to go through this again and I am now incredibly hesitant to ever consider Purina products again after this. I didn't even put it together until one of my co-workers told me to check pet food complaints, and sure enough, I found not only this site, but many others where people have indicated that they have recently had a problem after feeding their pets Purina. I can't prove that this is what made my cat suddenly sick, but I have to wonder...

Original review: March 4, 2015

I switched our cats from iams to cat chow, indoor cat formula. On Feb 2nd my 6 yr old died. She didn't show any signs or symptoms. I noted the other three stopped eating the cat chow, even if was the only thing. They whined at the bowl for almost two days. I bought science diet and they started eating again. I threw the almost full bag of cat chow away didn't even want to donate. I usually don't fall into hype, however after reading so many of these posts I'm positive it was the cat chow.

Original review: March 3, 2015

Made my dogs sick. Stopped using it 2 years ago.

Original review: March 3, 2015

We fed our dogs Purina Beneful dog food for years because they seem to eat it up real fast so figured it was good for them. After a few years started noticing tumors on all of our dogs. Their health started to compromise and all dogs passed with cancerous tumors. Had our house tested for Radon which came back negative and never used toxic chemicals or flea chemicals on them. They even had filtered water and we're all inside dogs. We only gave them the by law required vaccines. These dogs were not related at all. Never even thought of the dog food that we were feeding our fur babies to be the cause of their tumors and Dx cancer, 1 was even metastatic. My husband and I had dogs our entire life that lived long healthy lives and never had 1 tumor on them. We never even used chemicals on our lawn.

After researching The Purina dog food which was WHAT they ate everyday for years I'm seeing all the lawsuits against them and what they use in their food I can see where their food has the potential to cause cancer. I WILL NEVER EVER GIVE MY DOGS ANY PURINA FOOD AT ALL EVER!!!! I hope that people with pets get this information and switch to healthy dog food, made from companies that care, before it's too late. I am using Zignature dog food currently which my new pets seem to be doing good on and am going to start making my own dog food. Please please research your pet's food. It broke my heart when my pets died from these cancerous tumors. That were Dx cancerous from our vet!

Original review: March 3, 2015

8 months ago I was feeding my dog Purina Home Style Dog Food the small bag. My dog Bella became sick. She stopped eating, became dehydrated and weak. At that time, I took her to the vet. The vet stated that Bella had a strange looking gas pocket inside her. The vet stated that is the first she has ever seen this in a dog before. The vet also stated that Bella's Blood & Liver chart was low on the charts and she was dehydrated. Other than that the vet didn't know what was wrong with Bella. The vet sent her home with us to care for her. Because the vet and us didn't know what could have made her sick we stopped buying Purina Home Style Dog Food. Bella came back to herself. Bella never got sick after that.

Last week, I went to Big R in Michigan City, Indiana and bought a 50 lb. bag of Alpo made by Purina. At that time I had no idea that Purina made Alpo until it was too late. I paid 22 bucks for that bag. At that time I thought for the size & price that's a good deal. Wednesday, Bella became sick. She stopped eating. At that time I didn't think nothing of it. I thought that could be normal. Thursday, Bella started throwing up every time she drunk water. She drunk lots of water but couldn't keep it down. Friday morning, Bella stopped drinking water whatsoever. She became very weak and dehydrated. At the time I had no money to get her into a vet. Every vet wants money first. It's sad how greedy vets can be over money when it comes to a pet's health. A few hours later Bella died. 8 months ago my dog got sick from eating Purina Home Style. 8 months later, now she died from eating Purina Alpo.

Purina needs to step up to the plate and provide Bar codes of all the bad dog food they are selling. All stores should in fact remove Purina off their shelves. My advice to all pet owners is to do not buy anything made by Purina. More people need to be reporting Purina's dog food. It's not just their Purina Beneful brand - it's all their dog food they are making. I hope a attorney contacts me? I would love to see Purina answer to my Bella. She was the best little chihuahua. The sad part is in order for me to go after Purina requires me to dig up Bella's grave to see for fact how she died. I will do what needs to be done. I have the Purina bag, a few samples from the bag, and I have the dog that I feel Purina killed. Add it all up I may have a case.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I fed my 5 cats with Purina Cat Chow for indoor cats and after eating the dry food, they all developed diarrhea and vomiting non-stop. I contacted my vet for a check up who gave me medication, special gastrointestinal dry and wet food which cost me $495.63. I called Purina to report this incident and Nestle Purina did not take this seriously.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I have 6 indoor cats- 4 male and 2 female. They have all eaten friskies and purina foods... all their lives. Within the past two week all of them have started vomiting after eating mostly wet food. On searching the web for recalls I found this site and posts... It seems there is a problem. I'm thankful to have found this and will STOP all feeding of these products immediately. Someone PLEASE notify the FDA!!!

Original review: March 2, 2015

We have 5 dogs, 3 are hunting dogs and have been being fed Purina Beneful & Dog Chow. Those 3 dogs have been having seizures every time they exert themselves when going out hunting or playing. They are not bred the same nor are the same age, the only thing they have in common is the food. We are changing immediately.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I have been feeding Purina Little Bites to my dogs for years. My dogs have had no problems and have lived up to 18 years. I have been noticing the food looks different now and starting to wonder maybe I should be concerned. So sorry to the ones who have lost precious family members. Purina please make quality your first priority.

Original review: March 2, 2015

My young dog (3 yrs.) has been refusing to eat. On two occasions, she threw up (clear and yellow). She will eat for a time, then refuse to eat. She refused the "large, round, yellow" piece of food. I switched from Healthy Weight to IncrediBites for variance. Now I am thinking it was the BENEFUL products!! After my calling Purina, I discovered that indeed some ingredients DO come to them from CHINA!!! I will discontinue using that product immediately!!!! Why are they using those ingredients???? When will we learn???? No to CHINA "shipped or made!" We must protect our children and our pets and ourselves!! SHAME ON PURINA!!

Original review: March 1, 2015

This is the second time in about 2-3 weeks that my 5 yr old English Lab has spent all night vomiting and in pain. I had to start feeding him Progresso Soup because I'm afraid of feeding him anything else. Is anyone else having this problem? My cats just started vomiting in the last 2-3 weeks on Purina One Smartblend chicken and turkey cat food. I don't understand. We've never had this problem before. Oh, all of this food is dry food and purchased from Walmart.

Original review: March 1, 2015

My precious cat Lynx, who was in excellent health, died this morning in my bedroom right in front of my eyes after suffering a brief seizure. Lynx did not have any symptom before collapsing on the floor, urinating and shaking violently for no more than 15 seconds. In checking the internet I came across a review posted Feb 1, 2015 from Perrysburg OH (I live in Frazeyburg, OH) regarding Friskies Ocean Whitefish and Tuna being toxic (batch to be used before Nov 2016). I feed Lynx Friskies "With Tuna & Egg" this morning (Best By: Dec 2016 43641161 L44371059). I don't know if this is just a coincidence or what, but my cat is very dead and I really want answers. Hopefully, if there is a batch of toxic cat food still out there, someone needs to do something.

Original review: March 1, 2015

Purina Cat Food Complete - I bought Purina Cat Food about 2 months ago. I had no problem. Now this bag I just got has made my cat sick and throwing up and my dog sometimes gets a couple of bites and on Friday she got sick. There is something wrong with this food.

Original review: March 1, 2015

I fed my dog, Trooper, who was 10+ years old. I gave him Purina One Lamb and Rice. Within 2 weeks, he died. He kept walking into the walls as if he didn't see the wall there. The ER doctor thought he had brain cancer due to the dog food I was giving him. My dog stopped eating and could not drink water, even though he was thirsty. Although, he stayed at ER for two days and rallied. He died in his sleep. The cost of this highly specialized hospitalization cost $1600 and it has been 2 years since his death. I've been paying in payments which has caused me a hardship financially. I didn't see the styrofoam, which was the same red coloring as the lamb bits. There were bits of styrofoam in the bag, instead of bits of lamb.

Original review: March 1, 2015

My Yorkshire terrier's diet was changed, after years of being on a much better dog food. Not by my choice. Shortly after the change, she was throwing up, often had occasional diarrhea. Then a small tumor appeared near one of her nipples. Not thinking it might be the food at this time because Purina surely made a good dog food that could not make dogs... well I thought so at the time. When we took her to the vet, he said it appeared to be "just fatty type cysts that dogs can get." So even though it grew a little, I didn't worry coz the vet should know what he was saying.

Well she was continued on the Purina one lamb and rice for up to almost 1 year. The cysts grew bigger than a thumb, then one night she had seizures all night and until I brought her to the vet. This was the worst day of my life so far. I found out from a different vet, she had breast cancer, it metastases (sp) to her brain. She had cancer in all her body. I had to help my best friend over the rainbow bridge that day. The vet asked what she had been fed. I told her about the change in feed and how in the week she had been different. She stated she had seen other dogs recently on the same food having similar issues. WHAT!

Recently I find out my parents dogs are on this same food, for over 2 years. Their little dogs have the same skin irritations, dull coat, and horrible breath (I forgot to mention above), along with a small tumor on one dog. We are going to take them to the vet next week. I blame Purina and I just can't tell you everything in this small box, but don't feed this crap to your pets. It's awful! I miss my little girl best friend!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

My dog began eating Purina Heathy Weight at the age of 5. When he started eating it, he would always throw up. I put him on the food so that he could lose some weight. I thought he was throwing up because he was eating too fast. Eventually he adjusted to the food. A couple years later, during routine yearly blood work, it came back that my dog's liver values were increasing beyond what was normal. Justus ate the food for approximately 5 years. Each year his liver values increased more and more. Approximately a year and a half ago I switched my dog to another food after reading the reviews about how Healthy Weight is causing liver issues with other dogs. My dog is now on a daily pill that he takes in order to combat his failing liver. The damage has been done, and I am furious to find out that Purina has been using a controversial ingredient in many of their dog food varieties.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

Today has been a bad day, my kids are devastated. They want to know why Sheba died. Well I don’t know. Sheba was healthy. She was fine at 7am when I fed her half can of soft food and dry Purina. She went to the back room like always to take a nap. Me and my dad was getting ready to go to the store and that’s when he yelled “Gina oh my god. No. No.” So I ran to the back room, my baby was just laying there, at first I thought she was sleeping, because when Sheba gets done from eating she’s content, and full. But Sheba wasn’t sleeping. Sheba died. I will never get this vision out of my head. My baby’s eyes was rolled half way to the back of her head, she was so stiff, but her body was still warm. This hurts so bad.

My kids are so devastated and they keep asking me why DID Sheba die mom, but I can’t give my kids a answer because I don’t know. All I know is Sheba was healthy, and Sheba was fine and was walking around after she got done eating around 7:30. And like any other day, Sheba went to the back room to sleep. I don’t understand why, so I will warn everybody. Don’t feed your pets any Purina foods. Don’t become one of us. You don’t want your children going through any of it. My kids are so hurt. Why does my kids have to go through this. They recently lost their grandma, and now their cat. My kids grew up with Sheba.

My kids keep asking me why DID she die. What do I tell my kids? I don’t want to hurt my kids anymore than what they are, so this needs to be fixed so this doesn’t happen to anymore kids. Please fix this and I mean asap. Don’t let anymore pets suffer. Please do something, asap. Our pets don’t deserve to die. You murder my cat, and you are murdering other people’s pets too. God please do something. Hate all of these. Pets die. Somebody needs all of this. Nobody else needs to go through this like my kids DID so fix it!!! Sheba was warm and stiff why.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

My cat has been healthy without any illness whatsoever and tonight I walked in to her laying on the ground, she is no longer with me. My heart is broken and I'm searching for answers. I did feed her Purina and am wondering how I go about checking to see if this food poisoned her??

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

My cat Mercy 17 year old was feed Purina cat chow for her entire life, indoor cat healthy except for hairball vomiting so I thought, and occasional diarrhea. One day I noted her stool was liquid frank red blood. Otherwise she seemed ok, but just weeks earlier I had to take her to the vet for seizures, dehydration, renal failure and unexplained acute blindness. The vet didn't give her a good prognosis to recover. Me being a ICU RN and stubborn, spent 3 grand and insisted that they do everything they could and she spent 8 days in the hospital, then still on fluids and still blind I brought her home with an IV to continue her on fluids and anti-seizure meds and purchased a baby crib to keep her in so she could walk around without walking into walls and furniture since she couldn't see.

After about a week or so she regained her vision and her seizures stopped, and I took her back to the vet for a follow up. The vet said she was a miracle cat to recover as she did. I still didn't put two and two together. Like I said before a few weeks went by and then the bloody stool began, by that time I had no money to take her back to the vet, and had to make the hardest decision of my life and put her down. I still regret it today; she still visits me in my dreams from time to time. I promised her I would never leave her and I broke that promise to her when I took her in to be put down.

Now I know it was the diet I had her on. I also had another cat who suddenly die at age 3 on the same diet, indoor too, the vet said he had a bowel blockage and it was complicated by probably some form of poisoning? But how, I never figured it out until now, he too ate the same food. Now, I have a cat indoor, who has been eating Purina cat chow complete dry food, she has this 24/7 and I give her a tablespoon of Friskies savory shreds as a soft treat every night at 8pm, and have noticed that she has been having some strange things going on like, vomiting frothy like vomitus, and has been having facial twitching. Also, in the last couple of weeks she has been sneezing a lot and I noticed that she has had blood coming out of her right nares twice, at first I thought it may had been due to her running into the window or something but I'm not so sure now.

I saw another review about someone reporting some problem with can Friskies to the FDA and they told that person to NOT feed their cat any food with the last 4 numbers on the bottom of the can that read (1159). And guess what, all of my wet can are 1159! And my dry food as stated before is Purina Cat chow complete. I'm freaked out, and I'm wondering if the FDA is being paid to keep these products on the shelves or what? But I won’t use anything by Purina or Nestle again I can guarantee that, no matter what it is cat food or human products!!!! I will keep all the can and dry food in my possession for proof if a class action suit is filed in the future, because this has to stop!!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I have two dogs and I have always been very healthy. I have always fed them kibbles and bits. About 3 weeks ago I noticed that they haven't been eating their food then I started noticing throw up in the backyard. I switched to a different flavor of kibbles and bits but the same thing happened. I switched brands and they seem to be fine. However I'm going to take them to the vet to have them checked out.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

Early November, I noticed Purina Beneful on sale at my local supermarket. It seemed like a better alternative and advertised itself as a healthy dog food. I purchased 2 different types as they were on bogo sale. The Incredibites brand and another mix variety I can't recall. About a week after I exposed my dog to this food, she became so sick. She was throwing up everything, even liquid she didn't have in her. She became dehydrated and lethargic and was near death. Between 2 vet visits in the course of 3 days, I did some research on my own and discovered food allergies in dogs. I immediately went out and purchased wet and dry pedigree (our normal brand).

The whole time she was sick, she wanted to eat the Beneful food because she was starving but would turn away from it, I know now she even knew it wasn't good for her. When I returned home with the pedigree, she ate like she had never ate before. She was still weak and a little disoriented but she began to make a full recovery after about a week of being away from the Beneful.

I have tried contacting Purina, and they just delete my comments and refuse to address the situation. I still have the Beneful in storage containers as I planned to donate it (I don't like wasting anything) but now that I know it's toxic poison, I wouldn't feed it to any animal. I am also responsible for a 400 dollar vet bill that will take me quite some time to pay off. What a disgrace this company is. First, selling this garbage, but also not taking responsibility for their actions.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I just received a sample of chicken flavored dry dog food Beyond. I realize that "Beyond" is not the latest recall in the news from Purina, but it's a bit distasteful as this was recalled within the past few months and you are once again on the recall list for deadly chemicals and related deaths in another line of your brand. My veterinarian has reviewed the ingredients and I can't believe that anyone with knowledge of what they are would feed this to their dogs. I am appalled that I received this and wish to be taken off of your mailing list.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I was feeding all 3 of my dogs this food and they all loved it. My 6 lb Pomeranian stopped eating very well but I did not notice or take it too seriously. She had hurt her leg and was limping so I took her to my vet and they said she needed to have surgery on it. The vet at that time was Care at the Courtyard vet. The cost that they quoted me was pretty high so I went to another vet for a second opinion. I went to Lone Oak Veterinary hospital. They were going to be cheaper so I scheduled the appointment for the surgery. The day of the surgery I had taken her in and once I got home I soon had a call from the vet telling me her liver count was way high. Well no surgery but treatment for the liver problem.

After a couple of months of treatment including special food for dogs with liver problems, she was back to normal liver count. So as I had run out of the special food I let her start eating the Purina healthy weight dog food again. When I went back for a final check, the liver count was back up real high. Right away put her back on the special food and after a week her liver count was back to normal. The only thing I did that was different from her treatment was take her off the Purina healthy weight dog food, and then she was okay again. It had to be the dog food. I immediately took all 3 of my dogs off the Purina food.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

My adult cat died in late September 2014. He died from liver failure and was bleeding from his nose. I never gave it a thought to why this had happened until recently. Over the past 2 months my other 2 cats have been vomiting all the time. Within the past 4 weeks my 4 year old cat was not only vomiting non stop - she had started to gag and foam at the mouth. I took her to the vet and they said she had a bacterial infection and put her on antibiotics.

In the past 2 weeks my 5 year old Persian started doing the exact same thing so I took her to the vet. She was very dehydrated and they gave her fluids and antibiotics. She was feeling a bit better. Then she started to vomit blood. Took her to the vet again. After doing some research on food I came across all the complaints. I stopped all Purina products. The products they were eating were Purina one salmon and tuna and also were given fancy feast. They need to take this more seriously. I'm very angry!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I have lost three of my fur babies in the last year: one was a basset hound, one was a great pyrenees puppy and one was a shih tzu. They got the vomiting, lost a lot of weight, had a bad smell. They ended up dying. I have changed brands of food, figured out the dog food I was feeding them had actually killed them. The dog food company should be liable for the deaths of my babies.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information