3.70/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1470 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

We lost our Australian Cattle dog in September 2014, after he was diagnosed with acute kidney failure. He had been fed Purina Beneful exclusively.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

Exactly a week ago, I purchased two cases of Purina dog food wet in a can and started giving it to my large dog who is having problems with her eyesight. Within 4 days, she started having severe diarrhea and started throwing up - now there is blood in her stool. I brought her to the vets and the veterinarian told me to get her off this food immediately (!!!) and I did. My veterinarian told me that he's had several dogs come in that is on the Purina wet dog food in a can and he has lost two of dogs so far to a bacterial infection that made the dog bleed out.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

I only fed my cats the Purina Indoor Formula & Friskies (by Purina) Indoor food. My cat started losing weight, not eating & when I took her to the vet, they put her in feline ICU & when they called me the next morning, I had to go in & have her put to sleep! She had a bleeding abdominal tumor! I talked to several other people, & their cats died of the same thing & they fed their cats the same food! I blame Purina for my beloved cats death. I think there needs to be a lawsuit filed against Purina. There already is one for Beneful Dog food, obviously Purina doesn't care about animals, just profits.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

Both of my dogs, one a 6-year old yellow Lab/Pit Bull mix and my other a 7-year old Border Collie mix, have started to get VERY sick over the last 5 months. My Lab/Pit mix has been in and out of the vet due to defecating and vomiting blood!!! Bright red, scared me to death, thought he was hemorrhaging inside - blood! Vet says his renal system is fine. My Border Collie is vomiting all the time and has lost weight. Both have developed bald spots on their fur I thought was "hot spots" even though they have NEVER in either of their lives had "hot spots". Their fur was falling out in bloody clumps! Vet tested negative for any parasite or bacterial infections.

I never dreamed it might be the food because I've fed them this same kind since they were puppies!!!! I had to stop all food I take for over 24 hours and feed them strictly rice, plain yogurt and boiled chicken for a whole week (!) just to get their stomachs to be able to tolerate food again. Now we are on Natural Balance food and they are normal, happy, healthy dogs. Fur is growing back. No more vomiting or defecating blood.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

Purina Little Wonders Rabbit food - My lionhead bunny was happy, healthy and running around all weekend long. He ran out of his pellet food so I picked up this product. After consuming this pellet food he was dead the next morning. This was the first time I ever used this product and would like to get the food tested for any type of poison. Where would I get this done? Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

Okay I gave it 2 stars because this hasn't happened with every bag and my dog did love eating this stuff. So here I was happy with this Purina Beyond Simply 9 dog food - my dog had other foods and loved this the best, but today I found one of the three bags I bought with webbing and maggots in it. Going to return it to the store and find something better, but first reaching everywhere I can, telling people to really go through their food with a fine tooth comb. No reason for my cute little girl to get sick over something stupid like this.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

I have been dealing with a very sick 10 year old male cat. His normal diet consisted of only Purina One Urinary Tract Health. No problems until recent bag purchased the end of December 2014. He started vomiting. He never vomited before and only had an occasional hair ball once or twice a year. We took him to vet, he was down 3 pounds, very weak and unable to maintain proper body temperature. They admitted him with dehydration and run additional tests. They inserted a EG tube for nutrition and antibiotics. After many test failed to prove anything there is only one conclusion to draw is the food made him very sick. I will never purchase another Purina product.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2015

Around June 2014 I purchased this cat food in 22lb bags, I always buy 3 bags because I have 7, had 13 cats at the time. After feeding them out of the first bag I noticed this gray, silky web stuff and the deeper into the bag the worse it was. All three bags was like this. I had noticed all of my cats had started vomiting with diarrhea after a day or two of eating it. I thought they had colds. I reported it to Purina and they just sent me vouchers for more of it.

One morning a week later I woke up to 4 kittens and the momma with their anuses almost inside out. Their bowels were pouring out of them with blood. They had to be put to sleep and I don't believe in it unless it HAS to be done. I again contacted Purina, told them and they sent more vouchers. I thought maybe it was a virus but it was/is not. Nov 2, 2014 my 2 year old Stormy died, same symptoms plus he had a seizure and just died. I know this food did this to them. I am having Stormy exhumed so an autopsy can be performed.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2015

Kitties like this. This is first and only, so far, no-grain kibble they've had. Reasonably priced for a no-grain feline granola. I'm wondering who out here in cyberland has experience, pro and con with this particular formula of Purina? Would appreciate hearing from you. P.S: kitties have not had any problems with this kibble. I do maintain fresh, filtered water of one bowl per 2 kitties and also, each kitty is served, literally, 1/2 to 1 can of wet food, no-grain formula daily. So, they do have choices. Sometimes, the kibble is the only choice of the day for this one or that one. Sometimes, a bit of each is consumed by each of them. Just never know.

I have one kitty that only eats the no-grain wet when his body is demanding he supplement his exclusive kibble diet, so every few days. He is the pride's hunter and only recently has the pride - had to be limited to a large enclosure for their outdoor time due to moving into a new environment with closer neighbors and streets, as well as from lowlands, with lots of humidity to high desert. All of these changes require much more attentiveness to their food & drink. Totally worth it!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

I have 4 male cats in total, 2 that are 7 years old and 2 that are 16 years old. All 4 cats eat Purina cat foods. The two 7 year old cats have never been given cat treats only dry food and they have never experienced any problems. The two 16 year old cats have been eating Purina products for the past 14 years. These 2 cats have also been given Whisker Lickin's cat treats nearly every day for the past 12 years and they love them to be quite honest. Every afternoon they will guide me to the kitchen where I store the bag of treats letting me know they want their daily treat!! LOL.

Well most recently, I would say for the past month one of my cats has lost a considerable amount of weight and started to develop runny stools while the other cat was having some blood in his stools and let me tell you the smell is the worst ever!! Now thinking back to when this started a month ago, I had opened this new bag of cat treats which is the big bag and lasts for quite a while. I wasn't thinking a whole lot about it since these two cats are seniors and I was thinking that maybe they are just starting to deteriorate due to their age. I stopped giving them the cat treats on Monday and both cats stools are nearly back to normal, so that leads me to believe that something in the cat treats was causing my 2 elder cats to be sick. I am not positive about this to be fact but it is a very odd coincidence. I looked for product recalls and found none.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2015

I have been feeding my 10 cats and feral cat Friskies wet and dry for among time. At some point I noticed something changed because they no longer finish or even touch the food. Recently I have had cats throwing up immediately after eating. The sicknesses that have followed are that 1 cat was so gravely ill I was told she had no immune system, high fever, and in serious condition. The vet bill for her totaled hundreds of dollars. The next cat ended up with an infection or virus of unknown cause, he cost over 1,000 dollars in vet bills. I was told he had UTI and crystals along with gritty sand in his bladder that ended up blocked. Another cat felt under the weather with vomiting and fever. I have another who refuses to eat the Friskies and is looking ill.

I will try different food and get her to the vet now. Of all 10 cats inside and 8 feral outside....none finish the Friskies anymore and all vomit after eating small portions. After reading the comments posted, I now know the root cause is the food.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2015

My 8 yr old cat Oreo has been eating Purina Cat Chow Complete most of her life, except when she was little, she ate Purina Kitten Chow. The past few months she's been throwing up a lot. On Feb 5, 2015 she collapsed and died suddenly. The food looks different. Purina, you KILLED my precious baby girl!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2015

I had been feeding an elderly dog (19 years) and my 3 year old Great Pyr Purina Dog Chow for approximately 6 months. The older dog began having serious dandruff and shedding issues, along with trouble with her bowels, all of which I had chalked up to her age. My Great Pyr was losing clumps of hair continuously. Our yard looked like it was snowing from the hair loss. I switched to a high protein blend of dog food I purchased at Tractor Supply and every one of the issues I just listed disappeared. I will not buy Purina brand products for any of my animals (we have chickens, rabbits, cats, livestock) ever again! It borders on animal cruelty to me.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2015

I don't know for sure if it's the dog food. However I can say that last Friday, he started puking. Thinking he maybe ate something that he didn't agree with, I switched him to a bland diet to see if he would feel better. He did so I put him back on Purina SmartBlend yesterday and now he's puking again. Is there a way to test the toxicity of his dry food? He is going off of it for good now if he makes it through this. Reading these reviews has been scary and eye-opening!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2015

Purina cat chow complete blue bag - I've always bought this specific kind for approximately 12 years, all my cats have always enjoyed this product. They would only eat this kind in particular, absolutely loved it for years. All I ever bought, would change it once in a while for a change of pace but my cats would always turn their nose up at other brands. The price never bothered me, it's a quality product, I'd swear by it.

But up until about a year or more maybe less, you've changed it with extra kibble in it. Now I'm having a hell of a time getting them to eat it again. They won't touch it now if barely, they pick out the new pieces and push out of dish or just will only eat bits of it. I can't get to eat it, they now turn their noses up at it. Why did you change it!? I'm having a hell of a time to get them to eat anything else.

I know they get bored with certain kinds after a while, I'd understand that but it's ridiculous. Not sure if the new blend changed the original flavor, but I've gone through so many different kinds, makes and such that not many compare to your original. I've finally found one blends at target, that's about the same shapes and possible taste but it's not always available, hard to find in larger bags, can only find 3 # bags.

I truly wish you didn't change your product. It's put thru such a run around and bags of uneatened bags of food. I had to give away or throw out, it's too expensive, not satisfied to say the least. Won't be buying your products much anymore for a while, and just so you know they won't eat any other formula especially the indoor kind, makes my cats throw up. I've tried, I just wish you'd stick with the original instead of trying to make it "even better"! Should've just left it alone! As they say "don't fix it if it ain't broke!" Ty, your very unsatisfied consumer!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

Wow. First, my heart and sympathy goes out to everyone who has lost a loved one or has dealt with any unfortunate health complications that may have been or was a direct result of tainted or substandard food and or negligence. I'll get to the point then my rant. Use Purina Foods for many years, pets have live long healthy lives. However, things have have come in to question over the last 3 to 4 years it seems. As of lately, two beautiful healthy kittens male and female Maine Coon mix just over a year old now. Have been feeding Beyond Natural and our female has vomited once in a while, say every couple of weeks or so. Chalked it up to eating too fast. Two days ago, she started just sitting in the bedroom kind of spaced out, not like her at all. Next day, same thing. Otherwise seemed "OK."

Today I noticed her face and head seemed swollen and more lethargic. Vomiting, light fever, and way out of it. Thought maybe she got stung or possible insect bite. However, no signs of injury that I could see. Started questioning the food after considering if any toxic substances where accessible. I hate (and I don't use that word lightly) these ** greedy corporations who will in my opinion, based on research, facts, and experience, anything for their bottom line. This, combined with what used to be our government in collusion with the corporations slanging pesticide laden toxic "foods" to us humans as well as our pets. This is not slander only, fact roundup is a pesticide and is toxic. Tip of the spear.

Reading these post is heartbreaking as well as how much I can't trust these companies and "it's probably the food." We like a lot of people when out a bought another bag, feel stupid just saying that. However, I am human and it is in our nature to want to trust others right? These corporations are not others though. Cat seems to be over the hump, still in bed. I trust in the universe night will bless us with sleep and dawn will bring a new day. I will not update if things improve.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

Two years ago, I lost my best friend, a malamute X German Shepherd. She went from a healthy, beautiful dog who was never sick, to skin and bones within a two weeks. There were two 8 week old kittens in the house at the same time. They were healthy kittens, very smart. Sheba, the dog we lost, always ate Pedigree, but she enjoyed the taste Alpo cookout classics. She loved it. So from time to time we would switch it up and give her Alpo as treat. Then she got sick. She was vomiting a clear mucus like substance, and having runny stool. She was 13 years old so we attributed it to her getting old, never really thought much of it. She seemed to be fine. She was her normal happy self. Then about 3 days later, she wouldn't eat anything. We tried all her favorite food, nothing, not a mouthful. She became emaciated very fast. Within a day, she couldn't walk on her own, her legs gave out completely. Within a couple days her organs shut down, she was just a shell.

While all this was going on, the two kittens died, they showed symptoms one day, the next, gone. Then the dog died. It all happened so fast. We didn't really have time to think. We figured it must have been Parvo because the symptoms fit so well. Never once did I think it was the food. Fast forward, 3 days ago, our 1 year old lab X boxer started having very runny stool, and vomiting. He, like Sheba, ate pedigree but liked Alpo. So trusting the Purina brand we would give it to him as a treat. Immediately after he started eating this bag, Alpo ranch house cookout classics, he had diarrhea. Then I started to put it all together. Sheba was eating the same type of Alpo when she got sick, and the kittens used to get into her dog food all the time. So I started researching, and simple Google search later, I found 1000's of cases just like ours. I was floored!

Losing Sheba was one of the worst times of my life, and today I'm living it all over again. I switched Hunter, the lab/boxer to boiled chicken and white rice today, and he instantly started to get better. I'm so heart broken, and all Purina did was offer me a coupon to recoup my losses. My losses are far greater than any monetary value, I lost my best friend. Not only did I lose her, but I unknowingly poisoned her to death. I have been commenting on their Facebook page and they keep removing my post. I feel disgusted and betrayed! How are they getting away with this?!?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2015

I fed Friskies Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Dinner classic pate canned food to my cat and right after eating it she started to shake. She then had a seizure and I had to rush her to the vet ER. There could be a toxin in this batch, best before date of Nov 2016. BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

We have two 7-year-old indoor cats. We have noticed that both cats have been throwing up the dry cat food for a few weeks. We have changed from the Gentle style to the Indoor formula. This dry food appears to be causing the current problems. We tried smaller amounts in their bowls, serving it with wet food - with no change. I searched the net a few weeks back and found nothing much to alert us to any worries, and tonight I have come across all of these complaints. We will stop feeding them this dry food and avoid any Purina products.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my female cat who LOVES canned food and lives for her feeding time refused to eat many of the flavors she normally ate. At the same time, I noticed my male eating and throwing up… A LOT. I have noticed it in certain canned Purina. Today I called the KC branch of the FDA and left a message. I was called back immediately and spoke with someone named Star. She asked me for the UPC's and the numbers on the bottom. I only had 4 cans still in my trash. Within 20 minutes she called me back again and told me to NOT FEED my cats any food with the last 4 numbers of 1159.

She explained it was all from one factory. She then instructed me to keep the food until I heard back from her, that the FDA may want to pick it up for testing. I was told that there had been several reports like mine and worse. She was a cat person herself. She explained that she did not want me to send a complaint to Purina, to let her handle it and she told me not to return it to the store because without a recall it would go right back into the stream of commerce and more animals would get sick. She also told me it was dog food and cat food and it was distributed from this plant nationwide.

So after work I start researching this issue only to find that the FDA knew of problems back in Sept and had issued a warning this month to the plant #1159. So the Representative who talked to you lied. They know there is a problem. WHY has there not been a recall? Why is Purina and the FDA allowing our pets to be further poisoned??

Original review: Jan. 31, 2015

I have more than one cat. But within the last week, week and a half one of my cats began to lose weight, have loose bowel movements and vomiting. I took her to the vet and she was given fluids on 2 occasions and we ran blood work on her. Her liver and kidneys were fine. She did not want to eat and was lethargic. I received meds to help with the diarrhea, nausea and lack of appetite.

I give my cats a variety of foods and decided to stop giving her the Fancy Feast wet. I switched to the Wellness and Natural Balance brands. Within in a few hours she was drinking less. Her stools began to firm up and I am seeing her perk up a bit more. There has been a change with Purina brand foods and it is affecting our pets! A recall will take months to occur so please, if your furry friend is showing any signs, like the ones I describe - get them to the Vet so they can get checked out and STOP giving them Fancy Feast or any Purina brand foods. The symptoms include: loose bowel movements, lethargy, really smelly bowel movements, increased thirst, vomiting. We have to look out for our furry family members, they depend on us!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

I have two cats ages 12 and 16 that have been eating Purina Cat Chow (blue bag) religiously for all their lives. In fact, they have absolutely refused to eat anything else, even can or better quality dry food despite my many attempts to try during their lives. I recently bought a new bag of the food and after attempts to eat it, they immediately started throwing up and having diarrhea. They quickly refused to eat anymore of it. I thought maybe it was just a bad batch, so bought another bag at a different store and they are having the same issues. After reading other reviews, I think I will go out and buy an entirely different brand today and see if my babies get their appetites back. If this works, no more Purina!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

My cat looks forward to getting her can food daily and she use to eat it all and I noticed a couple of weeks ago she started throwing it up and ruined my carpet with it. Purina was my pick of all of them, but seeing what my cat has gone through makes me buy any other brand because my cat means too much to see her die in front of me!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

My cat Julian was eating Purina Kit and Kaboodle. Started having very violent seizures. I had to take him to the emergency vet and say goodbye to my baby boy. I brought him home and buried him under a weeping willow sapling so he will be beautiful forever. I miss you baby. Jan 17. 2015 RIP.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

I recently changed my 2 yr old Labrador's food, Purina Dog Chow, because of her incessant shedding and constantly acting hungry. (She would get 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night.) I switched to Purina One two days ago and my dog has thrown up three times and had a seizure tonight. I will be returning the bag to Wal Mart. My previous Labrador had the same reaction to Beneful dog food back in 2011, she was 9 yrs old at that time. After reading similar reviews of other brands of dog foods I am considering making my dog's food at home. My kids would be very upset seeing our pet die especially from a seizure.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

Purina Cat Chow Indoor dry cat food - My 4 cats have been eating this cat food for a while and they have all been acting sick. My oldest male started peeing blood. I took him to the vet. They said it was from the food. A female started being lethargic and before I could get her to the vet she disappeared. I cannot find her! The vet said when cats get sick they may go hide to pass. :(

We are devastated! I now have 3 cats that have been throwing up this food. I did not know what cat it was, but today I have witnessed all 3 throwing it up. I have been searching for a recall, but there is none right now so I wanted to make a post to help others to throw away Purina's poisoned food! After researching pet food I am shocked by all the poor animals that have suffered due to the money hungry companies putting the poisons in their food. I will buy my cat food from the vet from now on.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

Purina Friskie's wet cat food made my cats sick and cost me big money at the vet. I have been rescuing and fostering cats for three years. I have been using Purina wet and dry food for years. Four of my younger cats suddenly began vomiting on 1/22/2015 and showing signs of intense stomach pain. I took the most ill cat (8 months old male) to the vet. After continued symptoms of abdominal pain, lethargy and loss of appetite, they suspected an intestinal blockage.

After a fecal lab test, abdominal X-rays and a three-day stay at the vet and a nearly $600 bill, I found out that the FDA had issued a Warning Letter to Nestle Purina PetCare on 1/2/15 regarding the very cat food that I had been feeding -- no killing -- my cats with. I removed all of the Friskie's wet food from my house. I will never buy Friskie's brand wet food again. I am considering having a laboratory analysis performed of the remaining sealed food cans and opening a civil suit for the cost of the care.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

Blue bag - tuna and seafood: Been using it for years. I blend some tuna into our tom's vet overweight food for palatability and recently mixed up a new "tub". Vomited Sunday. Vomited Monday. Vomited Tuesday. All the finely chewed kibble. Reduced the kibble to a small side portion and he held it down Wednesday and vomited the kibble only Thursday. Took him in for labs and they came back normal. This is coming to the attention of the veterinary community because it was suggested that "maybe he got some bad food". Moved them both to the expensive cans of Medley and they've been fine for several days.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

Purina One dog food - After reading all of these reviews I had to say something. I have 5 miniature schnauzers of varying ages and all eat Purina One dry food and have never had a problem. They have eaten this food over many years. I would rather feed my dogs than science diet or any other supposedly superior dog foods.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

I have bought my cats this food for years, but today am quite concerned. I have 7 cats, they are puking this food up, all of them, and for the most part will not hardly touch it, never a problem before. Concerned that it may be contaminated, bought them a different brand which they are eating. Is there something going on with Friskies? My cats are sick.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information