3.73/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1462 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 29, 2018

My dogs are a Golden Retriever/Lab mix. The Pro Plan Salmon for sensitive skin and stomach is the food they eat the best. I tried chicken and turkey but they seem to be allergic to foul. I won't buy Regular Purina due to the heavy corn which isn't digestible.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I purchases a bag of Purina Naturals food for my cats. I'm a vet tech and I variety feed my cats. This is nothing new and they NEVER have a problem. Within hours of putting this food out for them one of my 13 cats started vomiting. Over the next several hours and day, I had at least 10, yes, TEN vomiting, lethargic cats on my hands! This was Monday, today is Friday. Some of them are still vomiting and not eating. I've had to give injections along with subcutaneous fluids daily. I've never seen anything like it. Something is very wrong. I've seen other reviews from my area stating similar experiences. Everyone beware of this food. I would say stay away from Purina period until they address the complaints. PURINA, WHAT'S GOING ON??

Original review: April 28, 2018

My dogs were fed Purina One their entire lives. Always sick and all died prematurely. Got educated on dog foods. Immediately switched to a higher quality food. No further problems.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Purina One Large Breed Puppy Food is good quality, chicken -yes, no grain, no meat; price is good when compared to more trendy or upscale kibble. Purina has been around for a long time and with good reason.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Any pet owners with cats with a sudden onset of DIARRHEA, please have them checked for Tritrichomonas which will require treatment with **. This is the second time since 2015, our small rescue of 2 dozen cats, has been faced with this dilemma. We feed Poultry Platter and Turkey Giblets pates and 6 of our 24 cats have already been confirmed and contaminated with this dreadful bacteria. I contacted Purina the last time in Sept 2015 and again, and am losing my patience with their lack of prompt action. The PCR panels and treatment cost us in excess of $200 per cat to diagnose, treat, and retest. If your cat has SUDDENLY starting having vial stools, PLEASE, have your vet check for this bacteria directly, it is caused by a livestock contamination and is not eradicated during the manufacturing process. We cannot be the only ones out there, experiencing this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: April 26, 2018

My 4-5 y/o cat has been eating Purina One Hairball Formula for the 3yrs she's been with me. She abruptly stopped eating, was very lethargic and starting losing weight (unsure of vomiting/diarrhea as she's an indoor/outdoor cat). One week, $500 and two trips the vet later with fluids, meds, xrays and blood work, we still couldn't figure out why my otherwise healthy, non-finicky cat wouldn't eat. She was turning down her regular food and every kind of enticing people food I could think of (crabmeat, sardines, tuna, chicken, ground beef). I was preparing to hospitalize her for IV food and fluids when she approached her food bowl and growled and huffed at it, which she's never done before. In fact, she's never turned down ANY food before. As a last resort before hospitalizing, I switched brands. She ate immediately and did a full 180 in 24hrs, eating & drinking on schedule again, lethargy was gone, started gaining weight, etc.

Having read the reviews here of countless other stories similar to mine, I saved the Purina food, contacted them and offered to mail a sample for testing. They declined, saying they were sorry to hear she was sick, but they were certain it wasn't their food because they hadn't changed their formula. I encouraged them to reconsider, sending a link to these reviews as evidence that my situation was far from unique, pleading that they do testing to ensure other pets and owners don't have to go through this unnecessary stress and discomfort. They again declined but said they would mail a reimbursement check for $8.49, the cost of the bag, as if I cared about that. Very disappointed in their inaction and complete lack of corporate responsibility. Will obviously never use their products again.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My dogs don't want to eat the Purina Pro Plan Savor Lamb & Rice. They don't seem like they are getting full. They are hungry all the time. Help don't know what to do. I have tried other dog food but don't seems like they like any of it... What can you do???

Original review: April 25, 2018

I took my dog to the vet tonight and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with her and then I figured out it was her food! I just bought a brand new bag of Purina Pro Plan adult breed chicken and I went to feed her dinner and she only ate half of it. My dog NEVER declines food. This morning she had no desire to eat it but eventually did and had very bad diarrhea this morning and later today she began vomiting! A large piece of her stomach filled with blood came up with the food so I rushed her to the vet. I’ve been feeding her this brand for over a year. She just had surgery from uncontrollable vomiting in January and now another vet bill from the food! Is Purina doing anything about this!?!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I'm very satisfied with Purina Puppy Chicken and Rice and my puppy continues to eat it every day... My vet says he is very healthy and he is growing like a week. Going on 5 months no digestion problems, no diarrhea or vomiting.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Fancy Feast: Cat suddenly stopped eating it after 5 years. Contacted Purina and they denied changing the formula. Now weeks later they admit that there was a change. All I get is apologies and coupons for food my cat won’t eat. Applies to cans after 2018 best before date. My cat won’t even touch the stuff now. I am concerned that the food is contaminated and dangerous.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I have been feeding my cats Friskies dry cat food years and in the past 6 months I've added 1 feeding per day of the canned food and cats had loved it. Just recently I noticed that after feeding the White Oceanfish and Tuna they are experiencing vomiting and diarrhea.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I own two cats. One is a 15 year-old male and one is a female approx 16 months. They were both fed Purina Friskies Seafood Sensations (and Royal Canin Urinary S/O occasionally). One day I heard about Purina One Urinary Health and decided to try it as it was significantly cheaper than Royal Canin, at $14.50 for 1.5 kg compared to $40 for the same size. I decided to try and introduce it slowly to them by mixing it with their current at the time which was Purina Friskies Seafood Sensations. Immediately I noticed my younger girl trying to pick out the old food, and refusing to eat the new food. The older boy was eating ok for a while but started getting stomach upsets and vomiting after a few days. He had always had a problem with vomiting but not this much. The younger girl refused to eat at all and would rather starve than eat the new food.

I thought it was ok to switch back to Purina Friskies Seafood Sensations because that had no problems with that, but we couldn't afford to keep buying the expensive Royal Canin. I decided to try them both on the Royal Canin mixed with the Purina One and it worked for a while but then the older boy kept vomiting and both of them refused to eat. The older boy was losing weight and the younger girl was getting very cranky so we decided to cut the Purina One altogether. We would rather try and find the money to buy the expensive Royal Canin than use Purina One.

I know my cats are fussy eaters but they have not had problems like this especially the weight loss. I thought that because they liked the Friskies Seafood Sensations that they would like the POUH. I am disappointed at this and I believe that for the price the nutrition should be better. Also on the bag it says veterinarian recommended, I told my vet about it and they said they do not endorse it in any way. Not happy. I will be writing a complaint to Purina because lying about veterinarian advice is not good enough. I am very annoyed because now I have to get rid of an expensive bag of useless food.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Both of my dogs have been eating Purina One chicken and rice dry for over 4 years and we never had any problems. Last month my pug got very sick and both dogs refused to eat the food. I bought a new bag and tossed the old bag thinking maybe it was old. Opened the bag, fed them both and again they both will not eat it. Something is definitely wrong with this brand. My dogs are not picky eaters but neither will touch it. Now we are switched to another brand.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have fed my cats cat natural food for 3 years, never a problem. However the last 2 bags I've gotten from Walmart has made my cats throw up and now they refuse to eat. Even the raccoon who lives in the neighborhood always tries to steal cat food won't even touch it. The Walmart shipment of this cat food needs to be checked and look into for possible recall. I've seen other complaints on this site within the last 90 days.

I have fed my cats cat natural food for 3 years, never a problem. However the last 2 bags I've gotten from Walmart has made my cats throw up and now they refuse to eat. Even the raccoon who lives.in the neighborhood always tries to steal cat food won't even touch it. The Walmart shipment of this cat food needs to be checked and look into for possible recall. I've seen other complaints on this site within the last 90 days.

Original review: April 2, 2018

My beautiful 10-year old Himalayan cat, Oliver, started vomiting and having diarrhea everywhere other than the potty box. The poop was brick colored and stained our carpets. Oliver was clearly quite sick and miserable. Walmart had been out of the Naturals Original that he usually eats so I bought a 22 lb bag of Naturals Indoor formula.

After one day of eating only the Indoor formula, my poor cat was violently ill. The vet ran tests and rendered treatments trying to save Oliver's life. $500 later the vet told me to check the contents paragraph on the bag of Indoor formula and let him know if there were any food dyes listed. Sure enough, Red #40 is an ingredient in the Indoor formula, but not in the Original. Our vet said cats frequently develop allergies to Red #40 especially! As soon as I could feed Oliver the Original formula, he started feeling and acting like his usual self. No more vomiting or diarrhea. WHY IN THE WORLD DO YOU THINK OUR PETS NEED TO EAT RED #40? I sure don't want it in my food. And I will never again buy cat food with that toxic additive. Purina owes me $500 for pet care + cost of cat show.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We've used Purina Cat Chow Naturals with our 5 cats (and 2 outdoor strays) for years. The last bag we got, however, has made everyone sick. Two of the cats were vomiting blood and are being treated by our vet, everyone's appetite has plummeted, and they're lethargic. One of the strays who has come by daily for the last 5 years is gone; we're worried he's fallen ill or died. The other stray - usually quite the food hog - refuses to eat the Purina, and our indoor cats won't touch it now either. Needless to say, we're switching brands immediately and hoping everyone bounces back soon. But it's been incredibly distressing to watch everyone's health take a nose dive and not know the cause. Their dry food is one the big common denominators, so we're concerned a recent batch of this brand may have been contaminated.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Indoor dry cat food - I have 7 indoor cats so I have been getting this product for a long time. Today, I got a bag from Walmart. The wrong product was in the bag. Normally the product looks like little pebbles. Todays bag contained little triangles fish rectangles etc. Since one of the cats only eats dry food. I put some out. She threw it up. I have wet food I can feed the others with for tonight. Obviously a quality control issue. I already contacted Walmart so hopefully they check their other bags in stock.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Fed Purina One Chicken and Rice to my dog his whole life, 7.5 years. This last bag I bought was the first time I saw him respond this way. Twice now has caused him to go full on zombie mode. Limping and random squealing, cant walk straight, just sits and stares at me for a sec and then plops back down. Nothing like himself, normally is a bounding heap of uncontrolled energy but since buying this bag I've noticed when I get home instead of waiting anxiously by the door he stays laying down until I walk in and then moseys over. I will submit the bag and lot #'s and what not when I get home. I have to watch him on a camera while at work periodically to make sure he isn't dying on me the way so many others have listed as occurring. I have neither the money nor time currently to take off work and take him to the vet, I will of course. But as far as what he's ingested I can verify without a doubt the only thing eaten, has been this food.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I woke up to cat puke and diarrhea ALL OVER MY DAMN HOUSE! And we just got another bag last night! What am I suppose to do with this laxative **?! And we have a pregnant cat here! What if it harms her babies? This company need to liquidate like Indy and Sam did all over my floor!

Original review: March 23, 2018

My mother-in-law gave the sample to my Maine Coon, within 6 hours he began vomiting. The next day his abd was bloated but still drinking and refusing to eat. Today his liver is hard as a rock, no drinking, no food and now in renal failure from a fatty liver. This cat is 3 years old and should not have to endure such abuse and loss of life from a company that claims to care about pets! Don't buy or use any samples ever!!!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I recently adopted a little Cairn Terrier from the Feed Store. The complimentary vet visit included a free sample bag of Science Diet for small dogs. My dog loved it and did very well on it. When it ran out, I decided to pick up a bag of Purina One Smartblend Lamb and Rice while I was at Walmart. After about five days on the Purina, Buddy threw up one morning. He then began having diarrhea and gas every day, and became anxious at times (worrying about soiling his new home).

I became suspicious of the food, so last night I Googled "Purina One Smartblend...." and Google actually finished my sentence with "gives my dog diarrhea". I then read the reviews and was floored. We took a late drive to PetSmart and picked up a new bag of Science Diet. He ate his dinner and then just relaxed and slept like a baby. There were no middle-of-the-night bathroom calls, and no puddles of pudding in the morning, thank God. I will never buy Purina again. After reading the reviews, I see there has been no recall despite pets having died. I foresee a class action lawsuit if they don't act soon.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Jan 4, 2018 Kastaway Kitties Rescue & Sanctuary. After feeding Purina Cat Chow Complete & Purina Friskies canned food (various flavors) over 50 cats began throwing up blood, bloody diarrhea, lethargic & verbally distressed. FIVE DIED! Vet's advice was to remove food immediately. Ongoing health problems related to this poisoning. Purina states from food sample sent to them: No mold, no foul odor, no infestation. Claimed did not do CHEMICAL TEST as they did not feel it was necessary! Five cats dead & they did not feel it necessary! Purina is not recalling food & it is still being sold. Hundreds of complaints being posted by pet lovers (with pictures of food/pets) sick & dying, some have died. SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH FOOD. NEEDS RECALL!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I got a new bag of Purina One, which I had been feeding my dogs for about a year. When I opened the new bag only one of my dogs ate it and the other ate the remaining of the old bag. Well the one that ate from the new bag got violently sick where I had to take him to a vet hospital's emergency room at night. He threw up then was having bloody diarrhea then got to the point where he was just pooping pure blood, started peeing blood and got pretty limp. I took the food with us to the vet ER. They said there was some sort of contamination in the food and he was given a bunch of medications and I am having to monitor him all week and then take him back to his normal vet after he finished his medication to check for further damage.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I've fed my furbaby Purina lamb and rice for years. End of January I purchased a lrg bag as I was running low on her food. I just opened it and began feeding her as usual. She immediately started throwing up and started with diarrhea, then stopped eating at all. Tonight I tried another brand and she seems better. Will return Purina tomorrow to store purchased from. No more Purina!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Dog TREATS CAUSE SEIZURES AND ARE STILL BEING SOLD! I still have the bag from several years ago. I gave Indy the treats and she began having seizures. She has had them consistently since then, and generally has 9 in a row!!!! She does not deserve this! She is no longer the same dog she was before. Why do you still sell this????

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I normally feed Purina ONE True Instinct natural grain free dry cat food to my cats. 1 kitten inside, one stray cat outside, one that goes out during the day and comes in at night. Last week I bought got a new bag. Maybe on Wednesday. Feed the cats like normal, the cats didn’t seem to be eating their food like normal. By Saturday my kitten was vomiting and not eating or drinking. To the vets on Monday. He has a severe case of gastroenteritis. After X-rays and 400$ worth of test. The stray cat was not eating his food either. I noticed he was just laying around and he started vomiting.

I am having to feed water and baby food thru a syringe to keep him alive. He has other health issues, so this is not helping. So through tending to these two I began to wonder about my indoor/outdoor cat eating. I just leave the bowl with food in it for him. It has not been touched. I have been trying to think of a commonality as to why my cats are sick and this is only commonality I can see. There is no other reason. The fact they all only ate the new bag of Purina cat food for about one day. I think it is poisoned. I empty the bag in a Tupperware container when I get it to keep it fresh, so I didn’t have the bag to look at the Lot number.

So I went back to the store where I purchased to see if it was expired or get the Lot number. The type I bought has been removed from the shelf and new bags were there. The bags said “new”, like it was new and improved. The manager said they replaced it probably because it was not selling very well and they had already sent it back. So after the visits to vet and all meds for the kitten it cost me about 700 dollars. I have not taken the stray into the vets because of the cost. I will not recommend this product. I have switched to Royal Canin per the vet recommendation. That is when they can start eating again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

My cat is 17 years old. When he was about 7 years old we had a bad experience with this food. We almost lost him. Vomiting, diarrhea, took him to the vet. Was put on medication. Stayed overnight. So I quit using this brand for many years. About a year ago I started using this brand again with no problems until two days ago, he had the same reaction to the food, so I cut him off immediately, so I'm done with this brand for good this time. No more wet cat food. I will fed him human can food Salmon, and Tuna. Lol!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have 11 cats. They have been eating Purina One for years. This summer, 6 of the 11 started having skin issues. The others were throwing up. As soon as I stopped giving them Purina One, the vomiting slowed down. 3 of the 6 with skin issues got better. After a few months, their skin is back to normal. The other 3 got worse. It looks like an allergic reaction. The 3 cats are losing hair and are scabby from scratching so much. I switched to Rachael Ray Grain Free, and their skin is finally starting to improve. I started making homemade chicken cat food from catinfo.com. Veterinarian Lisa Pierson DVM created the recipe. I used this in the past for sick cats and it worked. They had healthy skin when I was using this recipe, so I'm hoping it will improve their skin again. Decent pet food saves on vet bills, and is definitely worth the extra cost.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My dog has been vomiting for days now and it is definitely her food. I’ve given her Purina One SmartBlend lamb and rice and since then she’s been throwing up constantly. I did some research and it has happened to a lot of other dogs. This food needs a recall immediately!! It hurts to see your pet sick. She’s up at night vomiting and I’m up with her. Something needs to be done.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

PURINA IS A BAD PRODUCT. DON'T FEED THIS PRODUCT TO YOUR PETS. IT WILL MAKE THEM SICK. You will be taking your pet to the vet and dishing out money. All of their products are bad. Kitten Chow, Cat Chow Complete, and don't even feed your cat Purina Indoor Cat Food in the green bag. Cat has bad case of food allergies from ingredients that causes your cat to sneeze, agitate skin, and lose hair. Use caution.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information