3.63/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Pedigree Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1074 Pedigree Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

My 3 standard poodles really love the canned varieties of Pedigree. They bark loudly when I open a can of it! I also feed them the dry versions, which they like less. So I mix the canned with the dry food. Problem is, I do not know what the ingredients are in the canned foods...only what the labels say on the front. I have been trying to find out about the ingredients, because I have learned lately that some dog foods have horse and/or dog meat in them, which I wouldn't buy knowingly. But until I know more, I will stay with Pedigree.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My dogs love the different flavors of Pedigree available, as I switch them every other day. They especially like the beef stew with vegetables. Another favorite is the lamb stew. Chicken with rice is another they happily lap up. Sometimes catch them going to the other dog's dishes for the crumbs. Fortunately not too many crumbs left.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Use dry and wet and they have done well. One dog is 15 other is 12. I leave dry out and wet at night. They have been very healthy. There are a lot of flavors in the wet food and the dry has mini bites which is needed for my 15 yr old Japanese Chin who only has a couple of teeth and a very small mouth.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Both of my dogs ( A Collie & a Sheltie ) are picky eaters but they love the Pedigree Chopped Ground Dinners -- particularly either the Filet Mignon or Chicken varieties. The Collie also likes the Pedigree Filet Mignon Choice Cuts variety. But the Sheltie only likes the Chopped Ground Dinners. These are inexpensive & available in most stores & supermarkets. For treats, they both love Good 'N Fun Kabobs the best by far.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I have a boxer/corgi mix. She never had any issues with food until after having a litter of puppies. Now the only food I can give her is Pedigree. Otherwise, her hair gets coarse and brittle and she starts losing it. I wish I could give her a better product but she is so active on it that I have no other choice. Sometimes not the best ingredients can be what the dog needs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: June 1, 2019

I'm so glad I step in this site, had been crazy with my two pups throwing up and with bloody diarrhea! The only recent change was the food was actually really excited to try it until 2 days later of the new food one started pooping blood, I thought it was because the difference in the food but I transgression them slowly, after transgression poop still bad so I started mixing with plain brown rice and feeding them plain yogurt and it work! 1 DAY! A SINGLE DAY my bf didn’t mix the rice and they were back at square one! SCARY! I see I'm not the only and thank God I started researching, but this is not funny, we're out here thinking the worse, spending money between specific diets and meds and sadly I just see more recent complaints in other websites as well.

Original review: May 12, 2019

My 6 1/2 year old, 80 pound mutt Buster has had hair loss for about a year in patches, and we've taken him to the vet and they said it was allergies (due to the super bloom) so they gave him medicine and a new food plan. We put him on a chicken and rice diet, and he seemed to be doing a lot better. He just finished his medicine yesterday, and today, he has thrown up six times in about four hours. it may be a recipe change, or contaminated products, but after reading all the reviews on this page we are taking him off Pedigree tonight. Thank you to all of the people who have shared their reviews, we would not have been able to afford another vets appointment, so we would have probably had to put him down. Praying that with the diet change we won't have to make that decision.

Original review: May 9, 2019

We fed our St. Bernard & Dachshund the Pedigree wet food packets as a starter for their dry food, as they are 13 & 12 years old. A few days later they both got violently sick, with bloody diarrhea and weakness. We thought we were going to lose both of them. The fecal tests showed nothing, and blood work was okay; so it had to be the food!! As I read the other reviews I am certain!!! Please save other dogs, Pedigree and DO THE RIGHT THING!! Either change the recipe or pull off the shelf!! This needs to be on the news to bring attention to it!!!

Original review: May 8, 2019

Was mixing Pedigree with the dry food I feed my 165 pound English Mastiff. I usually only used a little but had to hide some medicine for incontinence so she started getting more. She stopped eating and drooling, drinking tons of water. She would come around and be perfectly normal until she ate the Pedigree again. She lost weight down to 148 pounds. I had her at the vet multiple times with all kinds of blood work, abdominal X-rays and chest X-rays. Cortisol levels. Everything completely normal.

Finally stopped the Pedigree and she is back to being a normal dog. If she was a smaller dog, she probably be dead. I told my vet it was like she was being poisoned. One of the last times we were at the vet her nose was stuffy and full of mucus so we gave her an antibiotic shot thinking it was a sinus infection. This has literally cost me thousands but at least she is alive. My poor baby. I was feeding her poison. How can they get away with this!!!! I am praying there is no permanent damage to her GI system.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Dude I’ve been up reading these comments for thirty minutes and I am actually scared for my dogs. I have a German Shepherd who’s ten and a black Lab who’s four. I’ve been feeding both of them Pedigree since since they were born but until just recently they’ve had diarrhea with blood. I thought surely it wasn’t their food but just in case I went to look if Pedigree had a recipe change or something like that but instead I found this. I just wanna thank you all for your honesty because I’m changing their dog food immediately. I wouldn’t want to lose my babies and seeing that these reviews are relatively close is clearly saying something. I fed them rice tonight but tomorrow I’m getting new food.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have two chihuahuas. They would get fed the Pedigree chicken and rice wet food at night. It seemed to agree with them for months, but last night hours after eating BOTH got very sick. Vomiting and bloody diarrhea. It was so bad I thought they were dead in the house. I know it was this food. They were with me all day and did not get into anything. I think there are bad batches that are made of this food on occasion or they are not consistent with the recipe, not enough for small dogs anyway. I'll never buy it again.

Original review: April 13, 2019

It keeps my dogs healthy. They seem to like the flavor. It comes in several flavors. A variety of bag sizes are available as well. I am not aware of an adverse reviews of this product. My pets are very important to me.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Our dog is healthy and her coat is shiny and full. She enjoys running and jumping and chewing! She eats the food with no problem and seems to like it.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Too EXPENSIVE and it keeps going up. The food is not Blue Buffalo so stop raising the price. I went to Alpo. Come and get it and the dogs like it and it is cheaper. Pedigree should go back to their regular price instead of raising it six dollars on regular Pedigree and ten dollars for the one that has real beef. Not a customer anymore of Pedigree.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 2 year old Pitt baby Taste of the Wild dry food and Cesar wet food mixed for about a year and have had no issues. About 2 months ago I ran out of the Cesars and decided to try the Pedigree wet pouches. About 3 days after switching I leave my dog with a friend while I went out of town. When I returned he was deathly ill, he was suffering from vomiting and diarrhea and began to bleed from his rectum. I immediately took him to the vet and they placed him on a regimen of antibiotics and pills to stop the vomiting.

At this point I’m thinking that maybe he got into something and did not make the connection to the food. I stop all wet food until this past Sunday I decided to reincorporate it. What a mistake! My dog has been vomiting and having nonstop diarrhea since Monday morning! He only ate ONE pouch and is in bad shape. If his condition doesn’t improve by the time I return from work I’ll have to take him to the vet again! Do you and your fur baby a favor and leave this garbage on the shelf! I’m furious that this is happening to him again.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I had a beautiful 150 lb German Shepherd named Rhino. He ate Pedigree his whole life. At age 9 he died from bladder cancer. The vet was curious to see the bladder. After he had passed she opened it to find the lining with a green stain to it. She stated it was almost certain the cancer was from the green dye in the food. I have no confidence in any brand dog food. I now buy discounted meats and mix with a little brown rice and mix vegetables. I put in single servings and freeze. Before I go to work I take out two bags for my pups. When I get home it's thawed. Then I microwave for a few seconds. It doesn't cost me much more than dog food and I never have any issues with their health. Their muscle tone is awesome and they have very shiny coats. They love it which is important. I highly suggest this diet.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Pencil was put on Pedigree about 8 months ago. He ate the food, started healthy weight. I thought nothing of this then he would sneak and finish my pom's pouches that she left. The first sign he had I can see now was he was always thirsty, then. diarrhea but only when he ate hers. Then about 2 weeks from the day he died he had a knot on his side got big then slowly went down and on 03/27/2019. I lost my sweet baby to internal bleeding. And now my pom is having diarrhea, and she's thirsty all the time. I'm now scared I might lose her too! Both prior to Pedigree was eating Purina with no problems. I got my beagle when he was just 2 months old 'til his passing he was 7 years old, my pom is 15 years old. I've had her since she was about 2 yrs.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Well treats made with real marrow. I thought that was great. But then I found stuff that shouldnt be present. I don't know if it was a thick brush bristle or a really thick hair. But I didn't care for it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I don't have any details about the lot number or bar code food as we pour it into a clean/dry storage container from its bag. We bought a bag from Sam's Club in January 2019 and of our 8 dogs, the only two who eat Pedigree Complete Nutrition and had been on it for about 4 days began to experience diarrhea. It took us about 4-5 days to figure out which dogs were sick and to eliminate causes. The other dogs exhibited none of the symptoms as these two. Once we changed the food to another dry food, the dogs have begun to improve and no longer seem to be having issues with diarrhea.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

We have two golden retrievers, one is a year old and the other is 3 years old... They had both been on this food for their whole life and they were happy and healthy. Last November we noticed a decrease in appetite in both of them then each started randomly vomiting clear or yellow phlegm. The vet saw nothing wrong but the vomiting and then constipation grew worse and worse. I looked up reviews on this food and was shocked to read so many people describing the same issues with their dogs and they got better after switching their food. I didn’t think it could be the food since it was the same food they had always been eating. I would assume the company changed the formula because after switching their food, both dogs are symptom free after only 3 days and several weeks later are back to their old selves. I’m glad I made the switch even though we pay more for the food now, their health is worth it!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Our 12 year old Jack Russell (Jack) has eaten this brand of dog food most of his life. Sunday (2/17/19) my husband opened a new box of food for him. He ate one pouch early in the day. By noon, our Jack Russell was throwing up. We didn't think too much about it because that's what dogs do from time to time. Jack wasn't as perky as usual but again...dogs do this from time to time. Jack didn't eat the food my husband had put out for him this morning which is very unusual. When my husband got home from work today (Monday 2/18), he found Jack lethargic, convulsing, and covered in diarrhea. He died a short time later. He seemed to be in discomfort, seizing, listless. He had a faint whimper a couple of times.

I think he was hanging on for us. We went outside and searched the yard for anything that could have hurt him. Nothing, of course he would have consumed what harmed him so nothing would probably be around for us to find. When we returned, he was gone. We have been very pleased with Pedigree but want to share our experience just in case his death is related to the food, here are the numbers on the box. 8 33 01 4 JC 09. 04 09 227-00 Best before 11/2019.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Bought this poison at Walmart until I could get my regular brand. All 4 of my dogs were sick within 5 days. Clear vomit, diarrhea, lymph nodes swollen in neck, not eating. Took all off this ** within 3 days all much better now. Shameful we have to worry about our animals from these rats. Karma is a **. You'll get yours.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My American bulldog was switched to Pedigree to save some money. My mom used this brand on our family dog and had no issues. So, the first week my bully on the food he was consipated. I thought nothing of it because my husband just left for a school and he normally gets depressed when my husband leaves. When my bully finally pooped it was a little bloody, which I assumed was from being consipated for a few days. After that it's been diarrhea and throwing up. He barely sleeps because he going outside constantly. Which again, I assumed was from being depressed because that's how he acts when my husband leaves.

Someone told me to change his food to a different brand because pedigree poisoned their dogs. I figured I would just give him time to get use to the food since he has a sensitive stomach. It's been about 3 weeks and only getting worse. He is now constantly shaking and not wanting to play at all. He's lost about 10 pounds and lost muscle. I would NEVER recommend this brand of dog food to ANYONE I know. I'm getting dressed to go buy a different brand for my baby! I feel horrible in the reason he's feeling horrible...

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

In November we took our 8 month old dog into the vet for a checkup. He was healthy and putting on about 5 lbs per month UNTIL we switched to this brand. At first it seemed ok. It was a well known brand name, been around forever, was middle of the road in cost... we gave it a try. The first indication something wasn’t right came with a concerned phone call from our neighbor. Our dog was throwing up a transparent liquid. I checked the backyard to see if there was any indication he might have gotten into anything (wrappers, chicken feed...anything). I didn’t find anything and he was still his energetic self. Kept an eye on it but nothing else out of the ordinary.

Then he started eating less of his food. We weren’t used to this. Usually he would polish off a bowl in the morning and a bowl at night. It was at this point we got through the first big bag of food. I hadn’t thought about it being food related so we got the same bag. Didn’t want to switch up his food again and perhaps add to the unknown problem. Then started the runny poop. He had been housebroken for some time but that seemed to be going backwards. Before he would whine if he needed out at night. We began waking up to one or two piles of runny poop in the morning. Then 4 or 5 a night. I noticed he was getting thin in his hips and started looking at food being the problem.

I took a day off to kinda track what he was doing during the day. To my surprise the energetic pup we had a couple months prior didn’t do much but sleep. He was lethargic and was becoming wobbly when he walked. That night I started checking reviews of this dog food. To my astonishment many of the reviews from other dog owners were describing what we were seeing in our dog. Many of the reviews were recent!

The next morning I went to local feed store to get him another food. They were knowledgeable and suggested a food. I got online and started searching reviews before leaving the store with it. Wanted to be fair to Pedigree and waited two weeks to see how our dog responded to the new food. Within a few days it was evident that Pedigree dog food was the problem. We had one incident of runny poop the day after we switched food. He was eating again. We are now at the end of two weeks and haven’t had an incident in the house. He is gaining weight (hips have filled back out). He is back to his pre-Pedigree dog food self. He has his puppy energy back.

I’m guilty of making decisions based on cost when it seems appropriate or necessary. I thought this was a “name brand” so had to be ok. “Dog food is dog food, he licks his own butt”. I was wrong. If you're reading this/other reviews that probably means your doing your research. If your dog is experiencing the same symptoms as many of these reviews CHANGE YOUR DOG FOOD. If you're taking a more proactive approach to becoming informed before you buy...I wouldn’t give you the almost full bag I have of this stuff (it’s going out with the Monday trash pickup).

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We rescued our Jindo girl when she was 8 weeks old and start her on this food mixed with some chicken broth to soften, then slowly as her teeth got stronger she had this plain. In December 2018 we introduced her to the wet Pedigree Puppy food as well which she does seem to be okay with still, but we will no longer buy because of the reviews and what this dry food did to her. January 2019 she started getting liquid, horrible smelling poops, waking up all night every two hours crying to go out and had poops for a week. We could not figure out what happened until we cut off her food and slowly reintroduced it- she was getting nothing but this food to ensure it was the issue and within hours she was throwing up stomach bile and had uncontrollable poops. So unfair and sad all these puppies are being poisoned. Will never buy this product again after what happened to our girl.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I've fed my two girls Pedigree for 4 years. Opened a bag January 20th. My dogs did not want to eat this food. They finally ate, got sick with vomiting, diarrhea, seizures. My greyhound mix passed away. My shar-pei is still recovering. I will never buy Pedigree again.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I have 3 mature Cairn Terriers and have fed this dry dog food to them for many years. They have always eaten all of their meal which is 3/4 cup daily of Pedigree. In the past couple of months I notice a change in the product and the dogs have started throwing this junk out of the dish. A new bag opened 01/24/19. They are hardly eating any of this junk and continue to throw it out of the dish all over the floor. All 3 dogs are refusing to eat this product at the same time after many years of eating the same bagged product. Something in the product has changed since fall of 2018.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Have been feeding my four-year-old German Shepherd Pedigree all of its life. Starting in January 2019 my dog started to vomit and have diarrhea. And now he has not eaten hardly anything in the last week. I did not see this on FDA recall, yet my dog is showing the same symptoms listed for vitamin D toxicity. Also just found a dead mouse by the dog food bag.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Decided to grab a bag of this at Walmart last night to save a few bucks on what I usually get my 2 pups. They sleep in their kennels at night and I put them to bed around 11, I woke up at 6:20 to one of them whining and crying which is extremely out of the ordinary. I went to the room they sleep in and my poor hound/lab mix pup was absolutely covered in his own liquid **. When I opened that room door I was blasted in the face with the stench.

My German Shepherd was also freaking out upon seeing me, I quickly let them both out the back door in that room and my German Shepherd diarrhead on the sidewalk. He didnt even make it to his spot. They're 2 and 4 years old, I have changed food on them MANY times and they have never, ever reacted like this. I spent the 95 minutes cleaning the poo out of the kennel and off of my dog. I cannot express how upset I am. I'm genuinely worried about leaving for work in a few hours because it might not be out of their system. I'm giving them lots of water and rice.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I've fed my dog Pedigree for a few yrs now, and it wasn't till a month or so that he's broken out with hives/rash on his face. But after taking him off it 2 days he cleared up and fed again and the rash and hives came back. Tomorrow I will definitely take my dog to the vet especially after reading all the reviews here. I will be sick if I find out my dog has some type of life threatening disease. I will come after them with everything I got if this was to occur.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information