Pedigree Pet Foods

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Warning, avoid. Making dogs very sick. I always thought Pedigree was a quality digital food, and haven't had problems until recently. After starting this last bag of Pedigree puppy food my 11 month old Carolina Doh has had severe diarrhea everyday. Because it is the same food she has been eating I didn't suspect it was her food, but after eliminating everything else I could think of, I began to research and found out MANY others are having the same problem! Why hasn't this product been recalled??? I am taking it back to the store in the morning. I have been awake all night taking her outside to go to the bathroom, and finding out that this product is actually terrible. Check out the dog food advisor site for how bad it is! It can't really get any worse. I am going to Tractor Supply to get a real quality food, and just hope she survives this.

I recently started feeding my 5 year old Catahoula Pedigree "choice cuts" canned dog food. A couple weeks ago he got very sick. Ran a high fever, experienced diarrhea, and was so lethargic and sick that he couldn't get up to go potty. After examining the can of chicken and rice I thought it smelled bad so I threw it away and bought a different brand. I really was grasping at straws and had to assume it was his food that had sickened him. I immediately changed his canned food and he recovered within 24 hours. A few days ago I again bought the Pedigree canned dog food. He is currently sick and has been for two days. I couldn't figure it out until I happened across the other numerous complaints. A light bulb immediately went off. I'm so sorry for everyone's losses and sickness. My dog Tice and I thank you so much for documenting your trouble. Pedigree has a huge problem and should be held accountable.

I fed my American Bulldog Pedigree dog food from the time I got him at 12 weeks until two years ago after him suffering from severe bouts of diarrhea and bloody diarrhea. I had found in online research customers complaining of metal shards and dogs suffering from the same symptoms. It was then I switched him and our other two dogs to Blue Buffalo grain free after him having to go on a prescription IB dog food until his gut appeared better. I'm writing this heartbroken after having to have him put down two weeks ago, and fully blame Pedigree dog food. Initially after switching to grain free there was temporary cure of his symptoms. And ironically around the same time we had decided to switch dog foods, our Shih Tzu had just overcome HGB and almost lost his life. After four nights in the vet laying listlessly appearing I would never bring him home, he started to show improvement and turned the corner to recovery!

At the time it never occurred to me food could be the culprit. My vet encouraged me it was stress related, although there had been no changes in my home. At any rate, I went grain free with all of my dogs, sadly for my American Bulldog, the oldest of my pack, the damage had been done. His diarrhea stopped temporarily and he gained 7 of the 30 pounds he had lost back then it came back ten times worse. It was uncontrollable, had a stench of death and was terrible! He was placed on antibiotics, probiotics, and steroids which helped stop the diarrhea again. Blood work was done, heartworm, fecal tests, fecal worm tests, only to show he had severe inflammation in the gut and hardening and thickening of his intestines and colon. Radiograph studies showed no masses and his liver function was normal. He completed antibiotics and was weaned off steroids over a month's time.

As soon as the steroids were stopped the diarrhea started again! Back to the vet for the most expensive lab studies I had deferred previously being encouraged it was irritable bowel. One lab test alone was $350, my vet bills exceeded $2,000 and the result was his pancreas was shot, he was not producing the enzymes to absorb the nutrients from his food and due to the constant inflammation his intestines had hardened and thickened to a point of only being able to keep him comfortable and pray the steroids kept the inflammation at bay so he could maintain his weight and hopefully gain a little at a time.

Long term steroid use can cause kidney issues but we never reached that point. It did keep his diarrhea to a controllable point that he could make it outside as he had always done, but it bowel movements never became hard again. He was slowly losing weight and eating 2 cups of food 3 times a day...6 cups of dog food daily and STILL LOSING WEIGHT! After 6 months of steroids, ongoing weight loss he became too weak to go up and down the steps. I agonized over losing my best friend. I accommodated his every need putting an orthopedic bed for him to stay downstairs during the day and one upstairs for the night. I schedule an appointment to have him put down and cancelled, praying upping his steroid dose would help. Two weeks ago I had no choice but to have him put down.

The night before I had to carry him like a baby down the steps to the den and I slept with him for the last time. His healthy weight was 98 pounds...he weighed 59 that morning at his last vet visit when I let him go to be pain free! I fully blame the negligence of Pedigree for his suffering, him essentially starving alive! His will to live had taken on a whole new level, getting in the trash to stop his starving, pulling whole pizzas in the box off the counter and eating them, taking the food you're eating right out of your hand if you weren't looking! This should not be allowed to happen! Animals deserve to be fed food their humans can trust and know isn't silently killing them. I'm lucky I only lost one of my dogs, but am forever scarred by the hell my dog went through.

This food should be pulled from shelves and the company made to compensate the financial burden of owners who tried effortlessly to help ensure their pets got treatment and were saved and for those who weren't lucky enough to ever make it through the irreversible intestinal damage caused by consuming this food! Absolutely disgusted and heartbroken! His pictures show how he lost every ounce of fat and muscle. Him in the dog bed was his healthy weight of 98 pounds, to him at the second onset of his gastrointestinal symptoms, and the final picture taken the night before I had him put down. It was a living nightmare!

My 13 year old Chesapeake got sick for 2-3 days straight after I fed her a new bag of Pedigree March 1st. She vomited all day March 2nd and refused to eat any more. Although she would drink water and accept treats. I tried to feed her next day and same thing vomited everything. After that refused pedigree entirely. I thought something was wrong and her eyes told me it was the pedigree. Been feeding her cheese and treats and she's coming around. Something definitely wrong with that food. Happy to share info.

In late November 2016 I bought a large bag of puppy food your brand on Amazon. We dumped the whole bag into a Gamma Vault container. And now after many scoops.. We take a long time to use up puppy food, because our mini dachshund only eats about a cup a day. But we have found dog feces mixed in the food multiple times. It is the same coloration as the dog food and at first thought it was a fluke. But now after 6 incidences of finding it, we believe we MUST report this. We cannot afford to replace the bag of food now, so we are filtering it carefully. But the thought that our puppy may have consumed dog feces from your processing plant is highly alarming. Please check into this and we will be checking further on what United States regulations are for your company so we can go to the highest authority with this issue. A very sad and angry customer, Rebecca.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

I have been feeding my chihuahua babies Pedigree puppy for years. Their momma has been eating zero grain because she is allergic to grain and I started them on that because they enjoy it but it is larger and they seemed to eat more of the pedigree puppy and continue to gain more weight at first. Well, we began feeding pedigree puppy chicken and vegetable in the three pound bag and the seven pound bag and they was seeming to be doing okay at first but after about the second day the smallest of the two begin vomiting and did this for at least 12 hours. Very much just brown liquid and a little greenish liquid which was the color of the food. She also started to have explosive diarrhea.

The babies have had their first and second shots and they have been dewormed multiple times and go to vet checks at least once every two weeks and I'm a veterinary technician. I decided to do chicken and rice for a few days and that helped and I also administered anti-diarrheal medicine that also helps with upset stomach. Of course this medication was for canines. I decided after the chicken and rice that we would go back to the pedigree but they wouldn't eat it. At first when they began eating it they ate so much and continue to enjoy it so much they wouldn't even try the zero grain anymore.

After this little runt got sick and the other one got diarrhea and a bit of my own vomiting neither want anything to do with it. They are now eating the zero grain again and I've had no further problems. They are not allergic to grain. We have tested for that and I really do believe that it is due to this chicken and vegetable pedigree food for puppies and maybe even the ones for adults. I've also heard the pedigree canned food is causing issues which I said it first but had no problems and have not fed since.

We introduced our dog to this dog food on 2/23/17 (mixing it in with her old dog food to get her used to it) and it resulted not only in terrible diarrhea, she will not get out of bed. She literally will not get out of bed. I can't even coax her out with a dog treat. Absolutely unheard of. Pedigree? The name implies quality. I don't know what's in this dog food, but we are bringing it all back to the store and saving a can to have it analyzed because I am convinced there is something wholly toxic in it. DO NOT BUY THIS DOG FOOD AND SPREAD THE WORD. My dog has never in her life responded to any food this way, dog or human. She's eaten cat poop for heaven's sake and never had a bad reaction.

We fed our 4 month old Boston Terrier Pedigree puppy food for 3 days. On the 3rd day he began throwing up and had diarrhea. We took him to the vet on a Monday and they couldn't find anything wrong with him and sent us home. I threw away the food and started him on another brand because I suspected something was wrong with the Pedigree. By Wednesday night he could no longer walk and we took him back to the vet. He had a fever and an extremely high white blood cell count. This dog has had all his vaccinations and was previously extremely healthy and energetic. After 5 vet visits he is now on antibiotics and steroids and is trying to walk again. The ONLY thing we did differently was feed him Pedigree dog food.

After reading these reviews stating the exact same symptoms my puppy had I'm convinced something is wrong with this food. I also want to mention that he stopped eating the Pedigree on his own by day 3 but WOULD eat other brands. It was as if he knew something was wrong with the Pedigree food. I would not recommend this food to anyone. If you're low on cash buy Purina or ANYTHING else but this.

A few weeks ago I sent my husband to the store to get dog food. Her regular dog food wasn't available so he came back with PEDIGREE. I fed my dog and later, I happen to notice my dog was acting strange. She was freaking out, her pupils were dilated, she was twitching, her head was moving back and forth. She wouldn't eat or sleep and it wore off after a few days. We had no idea what caused this to happen. When she got her appetite back, her regular food was given to her. I took her to the vet and after running several tests, they could not figure out what was wrong. They suggested that we keep a close watch of her and to keep a daily log of everything she does and eats so that if it happens again, we can narrow it down. So we did just that.

This went on for 2 weeks and she seemed to be fine. We were out of dog food again so I remembered that we still had a few cans of pedigree that my husband bought. We gave this to her and BINGO! That same behavior came back. Right after she ate. This time, she was making grunting sounds along with the tremors. I researched and noticed that this has happened to many other dogs as well. IM SO UPSET AND DISGUSTED! WHY IS THIS PRODUCT STILL AVAILABLE? All it takes is a few complaints about someone having a reaction to some product and its removed so that nobody is put in danger. Why am I reading 890 complaints about a dog food product and nothing is being done. Im outraged!!!

I buy the Pedigree Puppy Chow dry dog food for large breeds. Today I found a piece of black metal fragment in his food as I was pouring in his bowl. Luckily I was watching him and saw it before he ate it. I will attempt to attach the picture. Is there a recall on the puppy chow for large breeds? I will try and find my receipt of where the food was purchased. It was either Walmart or Gerbes in Jefferson City, MO.

Cans clearly have mold in food. This is really disgusting that this company can sell this in stores for our fur babies. We wouldn't want to eat this garbage and don't want our precious pets to eat it and possibly get very sick and die.

If one batch of dog food is put in 3 different name bags and shouldn't it be right to combine the complaints. Why would mars split a bad batch of dog food, is it so they can mix it up and spread it out so it ain't as noticeable? Ray Charles could see that!

My dog is a healthy 9 year old toy poodle. I always feed him ACana organic dog food. He had many teeth pulled and was recommended he should eat some canned food as needed if he was having trouble with the hard food. I fed him Pedigree Chopped Ground Dinner with Chicken. The next day my 9 lb. poodle exhibited signs of diarrhea, 2am diarrhea and by 6 am bloody diarrhea and 7 am just blood coming out of his rectum.

Animal Hospital opened at 8am and he was still bleeding. By the time the vet saw him he was throwing up blood and also out of rectum. She rushed him back and did many blood test and a specific one for pancreatitis along with x-rays. His blood work showed elevated white and red cells along with other stressors. The vet saw no long-term or chronic issues so stated this was an acute onset. The x-ray showed colon inflamed. Only change he had was this can of dog food.

$700 vet bill and 5 days of IV's and 4 meds later he is still bleeding and I am praying he makes it through this. If he does not get better in 48 hours he is admitted. I only saw these complaints while at the vet's office and believe we are all sharing this to spare others the heartache. I still have the can and would like to have it tested. It is not expired. I truly believe we are all not one big coincidence.

Stop feeding your dog pedigree. (1-13-2017) Zeus has been sick on and off for 2 weeks now. I feel terrible that it took me this long to figure it out. He would get super lethargic to the point I would have to carry him out and hold him up to go potty, vomiting, and diarrhea. I figured he just had a bad tummy ache. So I fed him rice and ground beef, he would come out of it so I would feed him regular dog food again. Same thing would happen. I took away his deer antler chew toy thinking it might be the problem, nope! Come to find out a lot of people have had the same problem because of Pedigree dog food. I called and they acted like this was the first they had heard of it. (1-14-2017) Took him to the vet. He's had a round of different shots, antibiotics, steroids and have him on a different diet. He is still slow moving if he moves at all.

Update as of today (1-23-2017) he is back at the vet. She drew a solo cup worth of blood from his abdomen. And is keeping him for a couple days. He is skin and bones and barely has energy to go outside to go potty. I've sent off a sample of the dog food to a university lab in Michigan. Results will take seven to 15 business days. Hopefully my dog is still alive. If you're having the same problem I would encourage you to join this group on Facebook so we might be able to move forward with getting this dog food recalled.

Thank goodness for this forum. Let me tell you something told me to look up this food... and I'm glad I did. I noticed that a lot of the post was dated just recently Sept 2016. My dog Mazzy has been going through hell since then. It's cost me a lot in vet bills. All test and blood work was negative of course. No obstructions in her body. Yet she suffered with wheezing... fatigue... continual runs which probiotics couldn't help. A lot of green and mucus discharge. Then last Sunday she started spewing blood out of her mouth and nose like a zombie attack. Yet she was still alert. She drank water. It sounded like the blood was in her lungs.

The next day blood and mucus when she finally went potty. Everyone was baffled... until I read this forum. Thanks to this it's early Friday am. Mazzy has made a full recovery and energy I haven't seen in a long while. She's back to her old self. So thank you. You saved my dog's life. As well I posted on Facebook about it and people I know are having the same problem using the same Pedigree food... and their dogs are now recovering. Please get out the word and save these animals lives. *Pedigree chopped beef canned dog food was what Mazzy was eating.

My 10 yr old GSD has been eating Pedigree dry dog food his entire life. My lab has been eating it for 7 yrs. Every time they eat they will drink an excessive amount of water plus start to lose hair and itch. I bought a 44lb bag on Jan. 3rd, 2017 and just now opened it 3 days ago. Both dogs got sick after 3 days of eating it and both dogs didn't want to eat it. The lab started urinating on the floor and had loose bowels. He also started to vomit. The GSD started with runny stools and urinating on the floor. I will be contacting the company and possibly have it tested to find out why they are sick.

I have been feeding an abandon dog with the same Pedigree that I feed/fed my own dog/dogs (I did have 2 dogs). Due to money problems I had to put my abandoned dog on a cheaper food. I researched that food hoping that it would be adequate and while I was at it decided to review Pedigree. After reading all the reviews I am certain Pedigree killed my little Rat Terrier named Missy. All the symptoms are the same. I never once considered the food because I have used this food for 9 years. I spent $190.00 at the vet and was unable to save her.

I had ran out of the normal dog food I usually use and saw this dog food on sale so Decided to try it out. I first noticed something wasn't right when one of my dogs vomited all of the food she ate all over my bed. I cleaned up the mess and went to work. I left her in since it was freezing cold outside and I didn't want either of my dogs to get cold. By the time I came home from work there were countless vomit spots and bloody diarrhea piles all over the place. I rushed her to the vet and they had to admit her and immediately put her on fluids intravenously, as she was severely dehydrated. I left her there and went home to find my other dog starting with the same symptoms. So I ran him to the vet. It's now been a full week in the vet's office and at least $5000 in bills to get them past the threshold of death.

They are now home and severely skinny and weak. But they are finally able to hold down food and they stopped bleeding out of their rectums. These dogs are barely 5 years old and the healthiest dogs I've ever owned. They have never been sick and I'm afraid this will forever change their personality and possibly health. They were bleeding from their stomachs all the way down to their colons. The only change they had in their diet was this batch of adult Pedigree dog food. Batch 23100/10736. I discovered this thread today and I'm taking the remainder of the bag into OSU veterinary clinic to have it tested. Pedigree better pray this doesn't prove to be a poisoned batch.

I have used Pedigree for my beagle and lab for a year now... I have bought roasted Chicken and vegetables this month. Opened the bag and my dogs they played with the food and ate here and there. You have to understand that the beagle eats anything and gobbles it down and the lab has a healthy appetite also. 2 days in the lab refused to eat and the beagle starting urinating on the floor which she never ever has done, both were also very thirsty. We would take the dogs out and they would do their business, within 15 minutes the beagle would start urinating in the house again and continue throughout the day and now she just will not eat and lethargic. Husband and I went and bought a different brand of dog food and they both ate, beagle still has urinating problems and lethargic. Will be taken to the vet tomorrow morning for check up.

Updated on 1/12/2016: On 1/7/2016 my little Maggie passed away and I do blame this on the Pedigree dog food. Please if your dogs show the same symptoms mine did stop feeding them their dog food. Vomiting, weight loss, blood in stool, uncontrolled urinating, I had her for 13 years. Since changing the brand of dog food it had taken over a week for my lab to start eating again and acting herself. Shame on you Pedigree for making all our pets sick and then die.

With every new can of the Pedigree dog food, there is less MEAT? and more of a gel-like substance in the can. It probably amounts to 1/3 of the content! Unfortunately my senior dog, a miniature poodle is used to it and refuses a better product!

Like many reviewers I've seen here, our dogs have had similar experiences while eating Pedigree Brand dog food. It began with watery stools, itchy and irritated skin, hairless and even weightless. They are both currently being treated for their skin conditions and weightless. Luckily I think we switched their foods just in time, before anymore damage could be done to them. I've contacted Pedigree about our experience and have yet to hear anything back. I would advise any pet owners to steer clear of this brand and all of its products. Yes, the price is great, but like with anything you definitely get what you are paying for. And in the long run saving a few bucks is definitely not worth it. It's not worth seeing your pets sick and miserable nor is it worth the stress and vet bills you will eventually incur.

I have had two wonderful family dogs that were very fun and healthy: Katie: a black long-haired lab mix, and Moby: a black, short-haired, basset or dachshund mix. They were great friends and valued family members. Energetic, loving, smart, active and obedient. They were both fed with Pedigree canned and dry food their entire lives. Moby lived a healthy life of 13 years. Katie lived a very long and very healthy life of 18 years!!! I attribute their long and healthy lives to 1) Pedigree, 2) good vets, and 3) lots of love.

We have used Pedigree Ground Dinner for years. This past week our American Eskimo became very sick with the diarrhea and vomiting. On examination of the food it was black in color. We are no longer going to use this brand. Too expensive to keep paying a vet.

Had a very bad experience with the Pedigree Little Champions Variety Pack pouches - UPC 023100272184. picked up a 12 pack from a local national chain store, with a noted expiration (best before) of 10/2017 with codes 633 B2 4JC0 8 19 15 229-00... Gave our dog one of these for his nightly meal. The following day he was so sick with throwing up and diarrhea that we were concerned he might not survive. Since we had also allowed him to have a couple of pieces of our own food as a treat (popcorn), we thought that might have been the issue. By the end of the day, he had recovered enough that he was willing to eat dinner, so we gave him one of his regular meal products (NOT Pedigree) and all seemed good.

The next day, all was good and he was very near normal... then last night once again, let him have one of the Pedigree Variety pack packets and today the cycle started all over again. Extreme vomiting and diarrhea again and very lethargic. Refused to drink anything or eat. Contacted the vet and found out there were NUMEROUS complaints against Pedigree for this very same problem, and not just locally, but globally. Have been told that the Pedigree quality is horrific and it is anyone's guess as to what is actually in the products.

The label on the box says "NEW Improved formula." Needless to say, Pedigree has seen the last of our dollars, and I fully intend to have a heart-to-heart with the management of the national chain that is selling the product. If, after making them aware of the problem they choose to continue to sell it, they become just as culpable for any damages caused and would be a party to any class actions that may ensue... From the looks of the ongoing complaints, there will be no shortage of plaintiffs for such a case.

I wish Pedigree would have a bigger variety to pick. My dog gets tired of the same, like have some with small beef bones and other beef ingredients. I have to take out the vegetables because there is just too many. More beef or chicken in the bag please. Less vegetables.

Providing this wet food from the can has been the additional nutritional value I add to the Purina puppy chow they love. Having tried other canned dog food, they just do not seem to like it as much as the Pedigree canned food. They really love the chicken, liver, filet mignon with vegetables mixed in.

I recently bought for the first time a can of Pedigree Ground Dinner With Beef. As I was feeding my 2 little dogs with this food for the second time, I found several small sharp hard bones in the ground meal. I am hoping and praying that they didn't eat any of the sharp bones the first time. I have thrown the can away. Never buy any of this stuff!

As a leading UK Dog Behaviourist, I have studied and researched many types of dog food. Certainly, in the UK the two foods that come to mind are Pedigree and Bakers as the most controversial. The ingredients are poor and the additives are an absolute disgrace. I wrote and article on both of these brands that went viral in the UK as still is very current today as we hear of these horrific reactions to a food that should be good for dogs not fatal. It is worth understanding what Pedigree and Bakers actually put in their food, so you can fully understand the concerns that I have as a professional behaviourist. **.

It started with my smallest dog liquid poop and some blood. Took him off from eating thinking he had just an upset tummy poop. started to become normal. I let him eat after 24 hours and guess what it's back. Now my other two dogs. I've used your brand dog food for over 10 years and never had a problem before. I would like some answer. After reading some reviews I quickly realized that maybe another person had the same number on our bag with similar issues. I will be buying another brand of food as of today and will try charcoal to wipe out anything negative in their systems. I'm so upset... I just hope I caught it in time.

I normally don't have any issues with Pedigree. My dog has been a fussy eater lately so I decided to buy a can of the Pedigree chopped chicken. I mixed a quarter cup into her dry food yesterday. I came home to a mess. She has had diarrhea since approximately 3pm on 11/26/2016. I've been up all night w/ her and every 20 minutes outside taking her out. It's Pedigree chopped ground dinner with chicken. UPC 023100010762, BB 092918 21 3, 639FKKCD 0405KC. Has anyone had similar issues with this product? Is there a recall on this product? If there are any issues I just want the public made aware. I've never seen my dog so lethargic, consistently having diarrhea and her color is pale.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Profile