3.9/5 (584 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Pedigree Pet Foods

Pros

• Relatively inexpensive
  • Easy to find
  • Made in the U.S.

Cons

• Corn is sometimes first ingredient
  • Contains meat byproducts

Bottom Line

Pedigree Pet Food products are easy to find and competitively priced. Many of the formulas feature corn as the first ingredient and include meat by-products. It’s not the best, but it’s probably not the worst either.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Pedigree dog food

Pedigree Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

I would never ever recommend this dog food to anyone. I just found a fossilized mouse with dried dog food stuck all over it in the bag when I went to pour my dog’s food into the dish. The only reason I noticed it was because one of the pieces of food looked like it was moldy or something and I was just going to throw the whole bag away and chalk it up as another bad batch of dog food from them, but when I went to look closer the moldy piece was a freaking mouse face. I’ve never been so horrified in my life.

No wonder my dog wasn’t interested in eating it unless I mixed it with something else like gravy or something. His stomach had been messed up since I started him on this food and he had weird poops, they were watery and black or red. DO NOT FEED THIS CRAP FOOD TO YOUR DOG. It will make them sick. Especially if they have dead mice in the mix. Who knows whether there’s mouse poop in the food along with whatever other ingredients are in it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I've been feeding my 8-yr old German Shepherd 2 spoonfuls of Choice Cuts in Gravy along with her Nutrish kibble and Dinovite. Over last 2 months she would refuse to eat about every 3rd day. She was listless, slept a lot and had terrible gas and stomach growling. Obviously in pain. Her stool frequently had an ugly pink and white slime. I stopped the Pedigree. The symptoms went away. She immediately regained her appetite, her energy and good humor. No more gas and stomach growling, normal regular stool, and no indications of pain or discomfort. The Pedigree was obviously making her sick. NO MORE PEDIGREE!

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

We have been using the Pedigree brand for years. The cans have been OK...But the Pouches have been a problem lately. I have opened several of the Pouches in the Variety pack and they are rancid! I purchased 2 boxes at Pet Smart, opened them and they were like jelly, very strong foul smell. I opened each flavor, they were all the same. Then I purchased 4 - 18 pouch variety pack from Amazon. Took Forever to get here. In the meantime my wife bought a box at Albertsons and they were the same. Like a slimy grease coated the contents. So far one of the boxes was OK from Amazon. There is something seriously wrong here. What is going on!??

Original review: July 6, 2021

I've been feeding my dog Pedigree, dry for a year and a half.. No issue. I've tried several cans of wet food as a topper... He started having explosive diarrhea for 3 days!!! I finally figured out today, it was the Chopped Ground Dinner and threw it away. I see several people having this issue.. Why isn't it recalled?? I think the media or something needs to be involved because if it's affecting more pups, something needs to be done.

Original review: June 12, 2021

I feed this dog food to my dog for over the past 15 years and both of my babies have gotten sick off of this brand of dog food I just recently lost my male baby and after viewing all the other complaints I truly believe it was the dog food cause my girl dog has lost a lot of weight in the past two years and before my boy passed away he was in real good health and all of a sudden my baby lost all of his weight and you could see his ribs. Couldn’t hardly walk or nothing. This company needs to be shut down for good if it’s killing our babies. Let do something to get this company shut down.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I have no idea what can be behind all these 1 star ratings. Some are real suspect. “I’ll go back to my own homemade food”. Of course that’s better if you have the time and money. I’ve been buying the chopped variety for at least 5 years. I have 5 of my own big dogs (60+Lbs) and am an active foster parent. I usually have 2-3 pit fosters. So usually 7 dogs eating it. I feed dry with a wet food topper. It’s a good food at a good price. I have never had an issue and can only highly recommend it.

Original review: March 23, 2021

My dog has never been sensitive to dog food but this has been a nightmare. 18 hrs after giving her the chopped food she had terrible diarrhea. It took a few days to narrow down the problem, diarrhea for the entire time and had only offered a small amount of the food for the 3 days, but it was definitely the chopped dog food. Beware, bad food (additives).

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

My rescue came home from the pound eating the puppy chow so I purchased the pouches of wet to supplement her diet. I recently switched to the cans and she began having bloody mucus in her normally formed stools (seems to depend on what flavor she is having). Either way, tossing the cans. I may try the pouches again (which she LOVED) but is it possible they have 2 different recipes for the canned vs pouched food?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

My fiancé and I were buying Pedigree dry dog food for both our dogs for over a year. Well purchasing their dog food ends tonight. I saw a Facebook post another person posted 3 years ago about some kind of sharp, hairy, fibrous particles in their dry dog food. Well I went to check our bag of dog food and lo and behold... 3 years later and they are still putting that same stuff in their food the other person mentioned. Saw the same stuff in many pieces of kibble in just one scoop of it.

Since we changed their food, our dogs have been hesitant to eat. And when they do eat they don’t eat as much as they come did. One of our dogs has become very lethargic and pukes up his food a lot. The other pukes sometimes too. No wonder they have been hesitant to eat.... it makes them sick and tired! Pedigree SHAME ON YOU!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

My girl who is healthy as can be went from jumping and playing to vomiting and seizures. I've been up all night with her, the whole case will be thrown out. I thank you for this website. I knew in my heart what the problem was but needed affirmation. I am so disappointed in Pedigree, Shame on them. Going back to making my own food for them. Praying that people leave this brand alone. We learned our lesson, but at a terrible price. Her energy level is almost not there, she shakes after a walk from the living room to the kitchen. Her seizures are I will do what I can at home to help her, also fever is up and down also. Thank you Consumer Affairs for the work you do.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information