1.60/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1041 Pedigree Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I am livid! I purchased Pedigree Puppy Food because I believed it was a reputable brand and a quality product. It has made my dog so sick! She has experienced vomiting, severe diarrhea and now bloody stools! I did not associate it with the dog food at first, but by the grace of God I began to research it and saw all of the similar accounts. How irresponsible can you be?! I am so angry that I am going to contact some News Networks to initiate a recall and investigation of the quality and safety of their products, someone needs to held accountable! I urge anyone else who has had their beloved pets' well-being endangered or their health jeopardized or have been otherwise adversely affected to do the same...

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I have a boxer/corgi mix. She never had any issues with food until after having a litter of puppies. Now the only food I can give her is Pedigree. Otherwise, her hair gets coarse and brittle and she starts losing it. I wish I could give her a better product but she is so active on it that I have no other choice. Sometimes not the best ingredients can be what the dog needs.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I've always purchased Pedigree soft food for my aging husky. He has always loved it but tonight I opened a can and found mold on top of the food. It was disgusting. I know things happen but can't understand how that could have happened. I'd like to be reassured that this was a one time thing. Please take the time to contact me. I'm able to provide a picture and have the can with dates on it. I've always been a loyal Pedigree customer and hope this can be resolved. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have two small dogs, a Chihuahua and a Cairn Terrier. Both were boarded recently and fed Pedigree dry dog food and I had taken some canned Pedigree for them as a treat. All dogs up to date on shots, but when I got them home, both had diarrhea. I discontinued the canned food right way, but the Chihuahua got worse and started throwing up, and was dehydrated. Finally I got her to eat some plain chicken and then she drank some water and has seemed to recover. I would not recommend Pedigree brand dry dog food and I am now having second thoughts about the canned product also. I used to have a Boxer and she would get sick and have seizures after eating Pedigree dry, so I had not used it in years. Now if my dogs get boarded I will take in dog food for them and will be staying away from Pedigree.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have always fed our dogs the dry pedigree for small dogs... Usually steak and vegetable flavor. Our 7 year old dog just had surgery for kidney stones 25 of them. The surgery cost over $4000 and we had a friend do the surgery. Could this be the reason for the kidney stones? He never eats table scraps or treats... Now he is on a special diet... We are giving it to the other dog as well... What does pedigree really have in it to cause 25 stones????

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Fed my dogs this food for many years. They must have changed formula. My Boston terrier got choked on her food. I found splinters of bone all throughout the food. I don't feed my dogs bones. I wish they wouldn't either. Now I have to find a better food. SHAME ON PEDIGREE. SHOULD CHANGE NAME TO SPLINTERS.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

On Saturday, September 1st 2018 we bought a 50lb bag of Pedigree dry dog food. On Sunday all four of our dogs had diarrhea. At first, I assumed the diarrhea could have been caused by switching dog food. I have not always bought the same dog food so I would not have this problem with this. I have used Pedigree in the past (over a year ago) and did not have problems. I looked at the reviews about pedigree and found quite a few reviews that warned of the same problem. I immediately threw the dog food away and purchased another brand. Other than diarrhea I have not noticed any other symptoms. I am not a veterinarian so I can not say with a 100% certainty the Pedigree dog food caused the problem but it is consistent with other reports. The only thing consistent with the diarrhea is the dog food. They did not have anything else to eat and there is nothing else they could have ate.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I have 3 dogs and all of them are experiencing diarrhea after feeding Pedigree moist canned dog food. I have 8 cans left and I just put them in the trash. I’m afraid if I return them they will just be re-shelved. Putting my boys on boiled chicken and rice until they get better and never buying this product again.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

My completely healthy mix bread has been hospitalized for days because of this food. We have always fed our dogs regular hard dog food but I bought these packets as an added little treat. I fed them half a packet per day every day just about for a couple weeks and one of my dogs started throwing up, then she had trouble pooping, then she stopped eating altogether. We took her to the vet, for some medicine and went on our way. A week later we were back because she had gotten worse- lost 10lbs. We had X-rays and ultrasounds and biopsies and endoscopies all to find out she has a gigantic stomach ulcer... She has never had any gastro issues before this food. There is no way it’s a coincidence after reading the other reviews. This is an AWFUL brand and they are poisoning our pets.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My dog Moskau has been healthy his entire life. I've made sure to feed him high quality foods (nothing you'd find in a grocery store) and he has never had gastrointestinal problems. I ordered his regular food online on a Thursday evening meaning that it wouldn't have been delivered until the following Monday. So instead of letting him go without eating for the whole weekend, I bought 3 cans of Pedigree Rice and Chicken wet food to hold him over. I expected a little bit of the runs since this is common when you quickly change your dog's food or diet.

He was fine the first two days but on the third day I came home to puddles of liquid feces everywhere. He NEVER uses the bathroom inside the house. I figured it would last a day or so but I am now on day 5 and he still has EXPLOSIVE diarrhea and has been vomiting. Every day that I come home and every morning when I wake up, he has used the bathroom in the house because the diarrhea is so bad. He isn't eating at all and is hardly drinking enough to replace all the fluids he is losing and I'm honestly concerned whether or not he will pull through as he is not himself anymore and lacks any energy.

DO NOT BUY PEDIGREE EVER, your dog will be better off eating nothing at all until you have access to a higher quality food. Pedigree has made my dog extremely sick and I wish I had read these reviews and identical stories before I bought the food because in a way I did this to him. I can't believe this poisonous stuff is allowed on the shelves at all.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

All my dogs would not eat the food. They always ate it before. It was the adult brand. The codes on the bag were 23100 and 11131. My Dane got real sick. Could not ** and after 4 days all she can do now is have very bad diarrhea. I changed the food and now they are starting to eat again. I don't think I will ever buy their food again unless I find out why or what got them sick. My Dane is 9 years old and I love her more than anything in the world! She seems to be getting better but it's too early to know.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I started feeding my Mastiff puppies and their mama Pedigree for puppy dry and wet food, since they started they have developed diarrhea, pretty bad. The vet told me to switch them immediately to Science Diet puppy, after reading these reviews, I’m amazed something hasn’t been done. I still have 3 cases that definitely will be trashed.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I purchased this bag of food on Aug 13. I was short on cash this day so I bought Pedigree because the brand had been around for a while even though it's not my usual brand. Both my dogs were in excellent health. On the 20th they had become lethargic and refused to eat. One had a temp of 103.4. The other a temp of 106. We took them to the emergency vet where they spent the next 24 hours receiving IV fluids and antibiotics. Blood test showed extremely elevated levels of white blood cells yet nothing could be located as the cause for illness.

All the vets at the clinic were puzzled that both had become ill at the same time. They came home with 2 scripts of antibiotics each. They appeared much better when I brought them home. But the still didn´t eat much. Then I research Pedigree products and recognized my dogs' symptoms in the reviews I saw. I went and bought my regular brand of food and the dogs ate like they were starving. If I knew where to have the Pedigree food tested I would get it done. I can tell you for sure I wont be buying any products from that name ever again.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

My previously healthy black lab is currently in hospital (August 19/2018) fighting for his life. He has had continuous diarrhea and associated dehydration for 5 days straight. This all began after starting a new bag of Pedigree dry dog food. I still have the food and will be getting it tested when this is all over. I am out thousands of dollars in vet bills, and there is no guarantee my buddy will make it.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I have had several breeds of dogs in my life and until late we have always fed Pedigree dry usually beef mix. We switched to chicken about 6 months ago and last week about lost my Akita/Shepherd and Husky both 7 years old. Extreme diarrhea and dehydration. After 1000.00 of testing and a weekend stay away from us they are doing much better. The Akita was showing much worse symptoms and dropped 10 pounds in a few days. We immediately changed foods first and the Husky rebounded much faster. If your dogs are losing appetite and getting loose stools after eating this product, buy something else immediately!! My howling babies are great now and back to their normal selves. Please dont purchase the chicken and vegetable dry dog food.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Pedigree is false advertising on the product Pedigree chopped ground dinner with beef. I originally bought the product Pedigree meaty ground dinner with chopped beef for many years for my lab. A few years ago the so called label changed to chopped ground dinner with beef. This threw up red flags. When I bought the new can I immediately noticed the texture, it was soft and mush, with a ton of juice. I called Pedigree and asked why they changed the product, they insisted they didn't. I said the labels were different regarding the ingredients and request to speak to a representative. No one ever responded. Since that time I have to buy several cans and use a vinyl glove to remove pigs ears, pigs skin, hair, and even a tooth there are cans filled with juice and very little meat. This company need to be investigated. I understand the changes began when Mars bought the company.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I just started my 7 month Bully dog on Pedigree (grilled steak and vegetable) dog food. On day 2 his poop had blood in it, I didn’t think too much of it since I was switching dog food that I thought was a better brand. I feed it to him for 3 more days and now his poop has a good bit of blood in it. I just threw it out!! I was reading other reviews and I am convinced that it is the Pedigree dog food that is causing this. I hope it hasn’t done any permanent damage to him.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

My dog is 3 years old and extremely active and healthy. Always ready to party. She’s huge though and I’m on a budget more often than not. I thought, “Hey! 50lbs is food for less than $30? Let’s try it.” It has now been 3 days since she started eating Pedigree dry food and she cannot stop throwing up. She even threw up ON my girlfriend, so you know she’s really sick. After reading these other reviews, I’m taking her food away and buying something else. PEDIGREE. Why are you selling us poison disguised as food for the ones we love??? I DEMAND this food be taken off the shelves and these poor people whose dogs you killed be compensated. A big company such as yours can afford to not be so irresponsible with their ingredients and product. Shame on you. If my dog doesn’t get any better, I will be suing.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I recently just got a German Shep Pit mix and he's going to be three months old... After reading these reviews I want to just leave work and throw the whole Pedigree bag away! I started to feed him the puppy dry food mixed with the pouch wet food. At some point I also fed him homemade food I made with brown rice, eggs, liver, turkey necks and chicken gizzards... but it seems since I have him eating the dry Pedigree he's been on and off diarrhea. I didn't put two and two together because I've also just got him new treat filling for his KONG toys... but now I'm more than sure it is this food. I AM PISSED! because his weight seems to be fluctuating. THROWING THE WHOLE BAG AWAY! DOG PARENTS BEWARE!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Pedigree dog food was a terrible choice of dog food for my two dogs. My Siberian husky and my German Shepherd Mix. I chose this brand in exchange from a better more expensive brand. Do not go cheap on dog food and definitely do not buy Pedigree dog food. After a week of feeding them Pedigree both of my dogs began losing hair in a abnormal way. They began throwing up and with diarrhea. They liked the food, but who doesn't like junk food. Pedigree dog food is for your dogs if you do not love them. I gave one star because I couldn't give zero stars.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My 8 year old lab got sick severely, vomiting which ultimately led to diarrhea and yellow bile and mucus after feeding him over a period of a couple weeks of Pedigree canned dog food mixed with some dry dog food. At first he practically begged me to mix up that food blend and I always gave in to him. Sadly after 1 week of being sick and then 2 days in the vet's office he stopped producing urine and his fluids began backing up in his lungs. The vet gave me one choice, and sadly I had to put my beloved pet Coby down. A beautiful 95 lb black lab 8 years old.

When it all began he became lethargic, wouldn't eat and towards the end was literally drooling from his mouth. I'm 100% sure this is what caused his death. The vet had tested him for lepto, after his death I had taken his body to the state's animal examiners to see if there was some obvious sign, and the finding came back negative. There still the micro test that has yet to come back and I have yet to hear from the vet about the lepto, but the symptoms of lepto are very similar to what many of you have and experienced with your pups after feeding them this crap.

Now I'm leaning towards the food - if his two pending test come back negative. I'll only have to assume it was this dog food. I still have several cans, don't know where to have them tested for anything that could be harmful to animals - I loved my dog and have been going over this for a couple of days now. I had to put em down on July 31st 2018. One of the worst days of my life - the house is so empty without him - I wish I knew this - if anybody can help email me at **.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My 11 year old previously healthy Westie died from bowel cancer which developed after eating Pedigree dry dog food for adult dogs. I think that this product is highly dangerous. After buying my baby just one bag she became gravely ill and died within weeks. I would like to know of others who have been put through the same. After she died I checked the food whilst sorting through her things. It smelled rancid yet was in date also had odd flecks like wire in it. So many dogs dying after eating Pedigree products. Yet these are STILL on shelves? Ask yourself why my baby died. My heart is still breaking. Within weeks two photographs of my baby. WHY????

Original review: July 25, 2018

In 2015, I was continuing to feed my 4 Silkies Pedigree canned chicken. They got sick, bloated, pathetic. The vet treated them for pain & with an antibiotic. Not my change till I switched to beef from chicken. The recipe must have been changed in July 2015, when they got sick & I took pictures of the amount of LIQUID in a measuring cup, which I poured out of the can. The can contained 1/3 liquid!! I had intended to send a complaint because of the sicknesses, stools, bloating... But never got around to it. My husband passed away July, 2015, after which time the kids started getting sick.

They all gained weight on the "questionable chicken". Hard stomachs. Around Am September, 2015 I switched their food to Blue. I cut back on the volume. Bear the youngster lost weight, too much, so I increased his food. The others were 13 & 14. The 2 girls never lost all of their excess weight, and their tummies remained hard. I took them to the vet, who removed a tumor on Prissy. Benign. July, 2018, I took both, Katie & Prissy, to an emergency vet who had very specialized vets as well as general vets. Katie has inoperable bladder cancer. She is due her 5th radiation, reduces the tumor & helps with some pain. I elected against chemo, with only a 20% extended lifespan, miserable. Prissy just had 6 small tumors removed last week. 4 are benign. The other 2 are grade 1 cancer.

Was Pedigree food involved in their development of cancer?? They both had hard stomachs before their surgeries & it began in 2015 when they got sick on Pedigree canned chicken??? I'm very suspect of that, but after what I've just read, I'M POSITIVE their sicknesses, which returned about 1 week after getting rid of the sickness, WAS THE 100% CAUSE of their sicknesses. I spent lots of dollars on their repeated sicknesses, but that isn't as important that they were miserable! I would suggest never to feed a Pedigree product.

FYI, another recipe change on Pedigree see. Sometime in 1990's my dogs, cocker spaniel began to refuse their Pedigree. Why? The "small bone" pieces were eliminated for hard balls. I switched to a food they would eat, good quality, instead of their refusing half of the food I fed them. Pedigree switched recipes twice, which affected my dogs. I'm not rich, but my concern is their health. Like my child, I'll try to make them healthy again. 2 cases of terminal cancer is unacceptable, within a very short period of time. I'm Katie. I have a year, at most, to live. I ate Pedigree for 14+ years, & got sick when the recipe changed.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Pedigree can food. Two pups dead within a month. Both our dogs have had Pedigree can food for a while now. Every now and then it would cause upset stomach but not like from May 2018 and on. Both dogs began getting very lethargic and just didn't seem right. Noticed runny stools so we returned the cans of dog food back to store and let them know something is wrong with it. Used to use the beef flavor, changed that. Tried porterhouse flavor, they became sicker. Returned to store, same issues... Tried one last time with chicken thinking maybe it was just with the beef. Our one pup had a seizure, she never had one before and was 14 years old. Had another seizure and nothing could help, she died right in front of us all. Was kind of out of sorts, other pup we thought was depressed and just not very active. (I stopped giving can food for a few days here and there, they always have dry food though, different brand).

Our other pup, still a little down got spoiled with a few extra treats and lots more love. He started to not even want his treats. He wouldn't eat anything, started drinking tons of water. Then he began drinking the water and within minutes, sometimes even seconds, he threw it all up. This went on for a day thinking maybe he just had a bug in his tummy. Called the vet the next day and said something doesn't seem right, made appointment for two days from then. Noticed he had all sorts of stuff on his nose that looked like maybe a sinus infection. Cleaned it up, called vet again... Day of the appointment he just looked miserable. Tried to get in early, told them he now seems dehydrated even though he drank tons of water, now throwing it all up constantly. I told the girl who answered the phone he needs an IV now, something is very wrong. Had to either go to animal emergency or somewhere else.

Got him in the car, drove about two minutes and he stopped breathing right then. I tried my best to even try CPR, pushing on his chest, talking became yelling and nothing helped, he was gone. Get to another vet and they took him in back saying it seemed like his system shut down. They asked us many questions and without the history from the original vet, couldn't just give an answer. As I cried my eyes out it made me go over everything in my head again and again. Two pups, one month, only thing was the can food. We've had some problems before with Pedigree can food but this was the worst ever. I researched every place I could think and came across a couple websites. I read through most, if not all the similar pets that died because of this. Calling the company doesn't help, telling the store doesn't help, letting the vet's office know doesn't help, so I am trying here.

I still have a handful of these cans left to be checked. Who checks them? Where can I send one to be tested? Who is responsible for this type of testing? By the time I realized the vet could have checked issues on the one pup it was too late, they said too much time had passed. The only way things seem to be corrected in the world today does seem to be hitting them in their money belts. I wish we could all make them pay for killing our family members! This company knew, they KNEW this was happening! They did nothing to correct the problems and just do not care. If there is anywhere to have the can food tested, please post it. Better yet, stop selling it! Figure out what has changed and FIX the problems!

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have a 5 year old Golden Retriever and my vet recommended feeding her canned wet dog food instead of dry food because it had more protein and less carbohydrates. She recommended Pedigree. We started feeding her the wet dog food and she absolutely LOVED it, but we noticed her stools were becoming looser and looser, eventually turning into full on diarrhea. We took her off of the Pedigree and she was back to normal within a few days. So we tried again thinking she may have had a virus. 2 days later she is back to having diarrhea, which brought me to this website. Looks like lots of folks are experiencing this problem with Pedigree. I've now thrown it all away and am going back to the Iams dry food only.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I want to warn other pet owners about my experience. I had a very healthy senior cairn terrier. I seen the Pedigree wet food packets for seniors on sale so I bought it to mix with our high quality kibble. After 2 days my dog began throwing up. We took her to the vet and she was in acute renal failure. We spent THOUSANDS trying to save her! My vet stated there has been a history of renal failure and Pedigree dog food. I thought because it was sold it was safe. WRONG! She just had bloodwork recently and died right after she ate this food. I plan on hiring the best lawyer to sue Pedigree. Would like to hear other stories for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I've been using the ground canned for years, with past and present dogs. They all have loved it. Last week, as usual, I fed all 4 dogs the canned Pedigree and later that night they had water diarrhea. I wasn't sure right away what was causing it so I kept notes of everything that they ate while deleting a few foods at a time. My vet gave me probiotics and they did nothing.

The 2nd and 3rd nights, I gave them the Chicken & Rice Pedigree canned to try to settle their stomachs. I finally realized that it was the canned making them sick so I cooked for them the 4th night. By the 5th day morning, they were back to normal. I remembered back a year or so that they got sick like that out of nowhere. Now I know what was doing it. Also some of their canned has so much fat in the can that you can peel it off. I called them last year on this and they did nothing. I have found a more expensive canned that they love so I will stick to that. I'll never buy anything Pedigree again!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I bought Pedigree soft food to mix with his hard food. He loved for about the first 4 months. Then I noticed a change in him. He didn’t want to eat it anymore and became very lethargic. He started throwing up bile and having diarrhea. I read some reviews and they sounded similar to what was happening with Buckeye. I took him off it a week ago and he is back to his normal self. Very concerned about what in the food could have caused this issue.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My dogs really like Pedigree & I mix it with a tablespoon of the Wet. It's less expensive than some brands and living on a budget that's very important to me. The crunchy texture is good for their teeth. I think they are healthy. My poodle is 16+, my chi is 9, golden 6, all have a honey coats and lots of energy.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Juliette, Romeo, and Jiffy (our dogs) seem to love Pedigree. When we run out they love having my homemade dinners but when we go get the food they eat it up almost as fast as homemade food.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information