2.39/5
Based on 87 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

1026 Pedigree Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Pedigree is false advertising on the product Pedigree chopped ground dinner with beef. I originally bought the product Pedigree meaty ground dinner with chopped beef for many years for my lab. A few years ago the so called label changed to chopped ground dinner with beef. This threw up red flags. When I bought the new can I immediately noticed the texture, it was soft and mush, with a ton of juice. I called Pedigree and asked why they changed the product, they insisted they didn't. I said the labels were different regarding the ingredients and request to speak to a representative. No one ever responded. Since that time I have to buy several cans and use a vinyl glove to remove pigs ears, pigs skin, hair, and even a tooth there are cans filled with juice and very little meat. This company need to be investigated. I understand the changes began when Mars bought the company.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I just started my 7 month Bully dog on Pedigree (grilled steak and vegetable) dog food. On day 2 his poop had blood in it, I didn’t think too much of it since I was switching dog food that I thought was a better brand. I feed it to him for 3 more days and now his poop has a good bit of blood in it. I just threw it out!! I was reading other reviews and I am convinced that it is the Pedigree dog food that is causing this. I hope it hasn’t done any permanent damage to him.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

My dog is 3 years old and extremely active and healthy. Always ready to party. She’s huge though and I’m on a budget more often than not. I thought, “Hey! 50lbs is food for less than $30? Let’s try it.” It has now been 3 days since she started eating Pedigree dry food and she cannot stop throwing up. She even threw up ON my girlfriend, so you know she’s really sick. After reading these other reviews, I’m taking her food away and buying something else. PEDIGREE. Why are you selling us poison disguised as food for the ones we love??? I DEMAND this food be taken off the shelves and these poor people whose dogs you killed be compensated. A big company such as yours can afford to not be so irresponsible with their ingredients and product. Shame on you. If my dog doesn’t get any better, I will be suing.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I recently just got a German Shep Pit mix and he's going to be three months old... After reading these reviews I want to just leave work and throw the whole Pedigree bag away! I started to feed him the puppy dry food mixed with the pouch wet food. At some point I also fed him homemade food I made with brown rice, eggs, liver, turkey necks and chicken gizzards... but it seems since I have him eating the dry Pedigree he's been on and off diarrhea. I didn't put two and two together because I've also just got him new treat filling for his KONG toys... but now I'm more than sure it is this food. I AM PISSED! because his weight seems to be fluctuating. THROWING THE WHOLE BAG AWAY! DOG PARENTS BEWARE!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Pedigree dog food was a terrible choice of dog food for my two dogs. My Siberian husky and my German Shepherd Mix. I chose this brand in exchange from a better more expensive brand. Do not go cheap on dog food and definitely do not buy Pedigree dog food. After a week of feeding them Pedigree both of my dogs began losing hair in a abnormal way. They began throwing up and with diarrhea. They liked the food, but who doesn't like junk food. Pedigree dog food is for your dogs if you do not love them. I gave one star because I couldn't give zero stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My 8 year old lab got sick severely, vomiting which ultimately led to diarrhea and yellow bile and mucus after feeding him over a period of a couple weeks of Pedigree canned dog food mixed with some dry dog food. At first he practically begged me to mix up that food blend and I always gave in to him. Sadly after 1 week of being sick and then 2 days in the vet's office he stopped producing urine and his fluids began backing up in his lungs. The vet gave me one choice, and sadly I had to put my beloved pet Coby down. A beautiful 95 lb black lab 8 years old.

When it all began he became lethargic, wouldn't eat and towards the end was literally drooling from his mouth. I'm 100% sure this is what caused his death. The vet had tested him for lepto, after his death I had taken his body to the state's animal examiners to see if there was some obvious sign, and the finding came back negative. There still the micro test that has yet to come back and I have yet to hear from the vet about the lepto, but the symptoms of lepto are very similar to what many of you have and experienced with your pups after feeding them this crap.

Now I'm leaning towards the food - if his two pending test come back negative. I'll only have to assume it was this dog food. I still have several cans, don't know where to have them tested for anything that could be harmful to animals - I loved my dog and have been going over this for a couple of days now. I had to put em down on July 31st 2018. One of the worst days of my life - the house is so empty without him - I wish I knew this - if anybody can help email me at **.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My 11 year old previously healthy Westie died from bowel cancer which developed after eating Pedigree dry dog food for adult dogs. I think that this product is highly dangerous. After buying my baby just one bag she became gravely ill and died within weeks. I would like to know of others who have been put through the same. After she died I checked the food whilst sorting through her things. It smelled rancid yet was in date also had odd flecks like wire in it. So many dogs dying after eating Pedigree products. Yet these are STILL on shelves? Ask yourself why my baby died. My heart is still breaking. Within weeks two photographs of my baby. WHY????

Original review: July 25, 2018

In 2015, I was continuing to feed my 4 Silkies Pedigree canned chicken. They got sick, bloated, pathetic. The vet treated them for pain & with an antibiotic. Not my change till I switched to beef from chicken. The recipe must have been changed in July 2015, when they got sick & I took pictures of the amount of LIQUID in a measuring cup, which I poured out of the can. The can contained 1/3 liquid!! I had intended to send a complaint because of the sicknesses, stools, bloating... But never got around to it. My husband passed away July, 2015, after which time the kids started getting sick.

They all gained weight on the "questionable chicken". Hard stomachs. Around Am September, 2015 I switched their food to Blue. I cut back on the volume. Bear the youngster lost weight, too much, so I increased his food. The others were 13 & 14. The 2 girls never lost all of their excess weight, and their tummies remained hard. I took them to the vet, who removed a tumor on Prissy. Benign. July, 2018, I took both, Katie & Prissy, to an emergency vet who had very specialized vets as well as general vets. Katie has inoperable bladder cancer. She is due her 5th radiation, reduces the tumor & helps with some pain. I elected against chemo, with only a 20% extended lifespan, miserable. Prissy just had 6 small tumors removed last week. 4 are benign. The other 2 are grade 1 cancer.

Was Pedigree food involved in their development of cancer?? They both had hard stomachs before their surgeries & it began in 2015 when they got sick on Pedigree canned chicken??? I'm very suspect of that, but after what I've just read, I'M POSITIVE their sicknesses, which returned about 1 week after getting rid of the sickness, WAS THE 100% CAUSE of their sicknesses. I spent lots of dollars on their repeated sicknesses, but that isn't as important that they were miserable! I would suggest never to feed a Pedigree product.

FYI, another recipe change on Pedigree see. Sometime in 1990's my dogs, cocker spaniel began to refuse their Pedigree. Why? The "small bone" pieces were eliminated for hard balls. I switched to a food they would eat, good quality, instead of their refusing half of the food I fed them. Pedigree switched recipes twice, which affected my dogs. I'm not rich, but my concern is their health. Like my child, I'll try to make them healthy again. 2 cases of terminal cancer is unacceptable, within a very short period of time. I'm Katie. I have a year, at most, to live. I ate Pedigree for 14+ years, & got sick when the recipe changed.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Pedigree can food. Two pups dead within a month. Both our dogs have had Pedigree can food for a while now. Every now and then it would cause upset stomach but not like from May 2018 and on. Both dogs began getting very lethargic and just didn't seem right. Noticed runny stools so we returned the cans of dog food back to store and let them know something is wrong with it. Used to use the beef flavor, changed that. Tried porterhouse flavor, they became sicker. Returned to store, same issues... Tried one last time with chicken thinking maybe it was just with the beef. Our one pup had a seizure, she never had one before and was 14 years old. Had another seizure and nothing could help, she died right in front of us all. Was kind of out of sorts, other pup we thought was depressed and just not very active. (I stopped giving can food for a few days here and there, they always have dry food though, different brand).

Our other pup, still a little down got spoiled with a few extra treats and lots more love. He started to not even want his treats. He wouldn't eat anything, started drinking tons of water. Then he began drinking the water and within minutes, sometimes even seconds, he threw it all up. This went on for a day thinking maybe he just had a bug in his tummy. Called the vet the next day and said something doesn't seem right, made appointment for two days from then. Noticed he had all sorts of stuff on his nose that looked like maybe a sinus infection. Cleaned it up, called vet again... Day of the appointment he just looked miserable. Tried to get in early, told them he now seems dehydrated even though he drank tons of water, now throwing it all up constantly. I told the girl who answered the phone he needs an IV now, something is very wrong. Had to either go to animal emergency or somewhere else.

Got him in the car, drove about two minutes and he stopped breathing right then. I tried my best to even try CPR, pushing on his chest, talking became yelling and nothing helped, he was gone. Get to another vet and they took him in back saying it seemed like his system shut down. They asked us many questions and without the history from the original vet, couldn't just give an answer. As I cried my eyes out it made me go over everything in my head again and again. Two pups, one month, only thing was the can food. We've had some problems before with Pedigree can food but this was the worst ever. I researched every place I could think and came across a couple websites. I read through most, if not all the similar pets that died because of this. Calling the company doesn't help, telling the store doesn't help, letting the vet's office know doesn't help, so I am trying here.

I still have a handful of these cans left to be checked. Who checks them? Where can I send one to be tested? Who is responsible for this type of testing? By the time I realized the vet could have checked issues on the one pup it was too late, they said too much time had passed. The only way things seem to be corrected in the world today does seem to be hitting them in their money belts. I wish we could all make them pay for killing our family members! This company knew, they KNEW this was happening! They did nothing to correct the problems and just do not care. If there is anywhere to have the can food tested, please post it. Better yet, stop selling it! Figure out what has changed and FIX the problems!

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have a 5 year old Golden Retriever and my vet recommended feeding her canned wet dog food instead of dry food because it had more protein and less carbohydrates. She recommended Pedigree. We started feeding her the wet dog food and she absolutely LOVED it, but we noticed her stools were becoming looser and looser, eventually turning into full on diarrhea. We took her off of the Pedigree and she was back to normal within a few days. So we tried again thinking she may have had a virus. 2 days later she is back to having diarrhea, which brought me to this website. Looks like lots of folks are experiencing this problem with Pedigree. I've now thrown it all away and am going back to the Iams dry food only.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I want to warn other pet owners about my experience. I had a very healthy senior cairn terrier. I seen the Pedigree wet food packets for seniors on sale so I bought it to mix with our high quality kibble. After 2 days my dog began throwing up. We took her to the vet and she was in acute renal failure. We spent THOUSANDS trying to save her! My vet stated there has been a history of renal failure and Pedigree dog food. I thought because it was sold it was safe. WRONG! She just had bloodwork recently and died right after she ate this food. I plan on hiring the best lawyer to sue Pedigree. Would like to hear other stories for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I've been using the ground canned for years, with past and present dogs. They all have loved it. Last week, as usual, I fed all 4 dogs the canned Pedigree and later that night they had water diarrhea. I wasn't sure right away what was causing it so I kept notes of everything that they ate while deleting a few foods at a time. My vet gave me probiotics and they did nothing.

The 2nd and 3rd nights, I gave them the Chicken & Rice Pedigree canned to try to settle their stomachs. I finally realized that it was the canned making them sick so I cooked for them the 4th night. By the 5th day morning, they were back to normal. I remembered back a year or so that they got sick like that out of nowhere. Now I know what was doing it. Also some of their canned has so much fat in the can that you can peel it off. I called them last year on this and they did nothing. I have found a more expensive canned that they love so I will stick to that. I'll never buy anything Pedigree again!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I bought Pedigree soft food to mix with his hard food. He loved for about the first 4 months. Then I noticed a change in him. He didn’t want to eat it anymore and became very lethargic. He started throwing up bile and having diarrhea. I read some reviews and they sounded similar to what was happening with Buckeye. I took him off it a week ago and he is back to his normal self. Very concerned about what in the food could have caused this issue.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My dogs really like Pedigree & I mix it with a tablespoon of the Wet. It's less expensive than some brands and living on a budget that's very important to me. The crunchy texture is good for their teeth. I think they are healthy. My poodle is 16+, my chi is 9, golden 6, all have a honey coats and lots of energy.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Juliette, Romeo, and Jiffy (our dogs) seem to love Pedigree. When we run out they love having my homemade dinners but when we go get the food they eat it up almost as fast as homemade food.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Pedigree is my puppy's favorite. I have tried her on a couple different one she either covers them up or turns them over. She runs to her kennel to eat when she sees that yellow pack of Pedigree.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My dog is picky, but, loves Pedigree. She's a Puggle, so, size works well with her. We have tried several dog foods, from the top of the line, and expensive, to, "medium grade". Although she liked almost all dog food for about a week, I found the higher end, made her stools too frequent, and loose.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I purchased 7lbs Pedigree Complete Nutrition for Adult Dogs on or about 4/21/18. Later that evening after feeding my 8 yr old American Pitbull Terrier, Gus, he started vomiting thick clear mucus. Then as the night went on it turned green. The next morning when we woke up he peed in the house; he is trained and doesn't do that at all. That's when I noticed that he was walking like he couldn't see... bumping into things. He couldn't walk up the steps and most scariest of them all was that the face is sagging now on the right side as if he had a stroke. He walks now with his head cocked to the right side. I never seen my fur baby act this way. I haven't fed him Pedigree since and he is slowly getting better.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Death of dog after starting to feed Pedigree Dry Dog Food. Previously well 6 year old Aus Shepherd developed "mystery" illness-vomiting and diarrhea and never touched food for 12 days - finally having to be "put down" in Dec 2017. Would like info if others had similar experience as I've recently heard of recalls.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I don't like the fact that the Pedigree main ingredient is corn or corn meal or by products. The price is good for a 50 lb. bag but my dogs are not able to eat corn. It breaks their skin out.

Original review: April 28, 2018

My dogs have been on Pedigree for over 45 years & are happy & healthy. I have never found a problem with this food. People have found things that don’t belong in all brands of food, just check each bag of whatever food you choose to feed your dogs to make sure each bag is okay.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My dog likes Pedigree, he is a small dog so I buy him the small breed bag. I buy him a different brand and will not eat till he is in starving mode, so have quit switching him. Price works out for me and as far as taste is concerned he is the taster and it agrees with him, put him on Rachael Ray brand and he would not eat it. So he is a perky dog but finicky so as long as he's happy, that's all I need to know.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My dog is over 17 years old and I have had to switch her to moist food. All the different Pedigree package sizes is helpful since she eats more on some days than others.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I feed my Great Pyrenees Pedigree Adult because I was told by a man who raises them that it is good for the bigger dogs. My dog is 6 years old and still acts like a puppy. He is beautiful. I believe the dog food is the reason he is so healthy.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I have been using Pedigree for the longest. About 9 months ago I started noticing hair all in the dog food a hard pieces of something. Hard to explain like bristle off of a wire brush! Plus it was making my dogs have runny stools! I will NOT be purchasing no more food for my fur babies!! And note I contacted Pedigree about this situation and they wanted to refund my money back for a bag... I didn't want that. I wanted it to be known! I bought another bag same thing!

Original review: April 11, 2018

We use to use Victor puppy and dog food. We switched to Pedigree and all my OEBD puppy litters and my dogs have been on it for a while and they love it. They get full. They have no gas like before and they eat all of it. I have seen several reviews of dogs getting sick and how it's not good. But I truly don't understand cause we haven't had any issues. We have had our last 3 litters weaned from Mom to Pedigree puppy and also when they went to bed homes their new parents bought it also. Vet checks and all. No problems.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We have given our Border Collie Pedigree dry food before with no problem. She is an older dog and a few months ago I began cooking food for her. Was not feeling well so purchased a box of the Senior Dog Pouches of food, gave her two pouches mixed with her dry Baker's the day before yesterday, and then again yesterday, today she has had diarrhea all day, worse than she's ever had before, and she's thrown up. Keeping her off food for today, just giving her water. She doesn't act any differently but I'm keeping an eye on her and tomorrow will cook her some chicken and rice. Don't know for sure if it's the food but I'm not taking any chances, no more Pedigree.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I changed my dog to Pedigree from Science Diet because I couldn't afford the other anymore. Pedigree was a trusted brand that I had raised former dogs with 15 years ago. But this dog felt a little worse each day for about three weeks, drinking more and more water, breathing rapidly, with mucousy, yellow, diarrhea. I could tell her liver or gallbladder was involved, so I took her off the Pedigree and took her to the vet. He gave her meds for a UT infection and said the rapid breathing was from pain. Ten days later the course of antibiotics was over, yet she was worse. She peed and vomited all over the house, including thick white foam.

At the emergency room, they did a barrage of tests but could find nothing except that her gums and mucosa are sticky, and she is completely dehydrated despite the fact that she has been drinking so much water. They wanted to do exploratory surgery. My vet said, "Let's treat the symptoms." So he has been giving her pain and nausea meds. She refuses to eat now, and can't produce a bowel movement no matter how much she tries. We're probably going back to the emergency room after I call poison control. I found other people here with the same symptoms, so that gives us the first clue. I am writing my story so others will have clues.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My dog became extremely ill 24 hours after eating Pedigree wet food in the pouch. 6 days later she passed away. She was 4 years old, had regular visits to the vet, and was up to date on her vaccines. She was in the prime of her life and was extremely healthy and her death was completely out of the blue. Is it strange that she ate Pedigree - a spur of the moment thing and not her normal brand - and then died? If this has happened to anyone else, I would love to hear your story. E-mail me.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Doing some research took me here. Heartbroken, lost my best friend Zeus R.I.P./an adult boxer... we lost him last month Feb. 6th 2018. The fam. been trying to cope with the pain... but now 1 month later we have to do it again, our chihuahua died last night... same symtoms = falling, breathing heavy, drinking a lot of water, Diarrhea. After wondering on how do you lose 2 dogs in a month everything was overnight. They were only sick for a day. BUT THEY'VE BEEN EATING PEDIGREE DRY FOOD, AND THE FIRST DOG THAT PASSED, HAD THE WET FOOD THAT COMES IN THE LITTLE POUCHES from Pedigree.

Also couple of days before he passed, the second dog, have been eating it for a month, she died exactly one month and one day after. Now after reading some reviews on Pedigree food, we think it has something to do with their death. People should really be aware!! Please if anyone has an advice on what to do next, it'll be very helpful.

Not sure about Pedigree Pet Foods?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Dog Food for you.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information

615-807-4171
    www.pedigree.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business