1.32/5
  • 1 star
Based on 77 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 3, 2017

959 Pedigree Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I had fed my 15 and 18 year old pups Pedigree ALL OF THEIR LIVES… I still feed my two new pups (4 months & 4 years) Pedigree both canned and kibble. Both my passed pups thrived on it and NEVER had any medical issues. We only went to the vet for annual checkups. With my 2 new pups they are also thrived on Pedigree. I am also a dog boarder/sitter and I see nothing but crazy diet that my clients provided instruct which they HATE. They gravitate to MY dogs food instead of their own. Despite the fact their moms and dads insistence that their dogs HATE processed food.

They chose Pedigree above "home-made concoctions" that they thought were better for their pups - it never failed... My guest pups had better digestive systems, were not leaving "messes" all overly 200 year old farmhouse. So in ending this - I have converted many of my clients to Pedigree… Rather that the very pricey and extreme eating habits to Pedigree. If you have had so many dogs and 2 of your own that live happy, healthy pups who lived to 15 and 18… I would never change a thing.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Don't buy this Pedigree. My pets started eating all type of foods. Then one day I bought Pedigree and feed to my puppies they ate very well, next day I feed normal home food they didn't eat. Still now any other home food. They eat only Pedigree one. My pet going to sick and it leading to death. I am very disappointed with this product.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I have fed Pedigree adult formula chicken and beef with no issues for several years. In late September our female Rat Terrier, shortly after eating, suffered two seizures followed by vomiting and loss of bowel control. The seizures were within minutes of each other. Earlier this week it happened again. My male Boxer has eaten right beside her and not had a problem. This evening within minutes of my Boxer eating his evening meal he had a bizarre episode of loss of balance, spinning in circles, it appeared as if he was hallucinating. I was able to get him outside and this continued for several minutes. I am convinced after what I've read here that the food is to blame. From what I've read I realize that contacting the company is an effort in futility. If anyone has a suggestion for testing through an independent lab please contact me as I am keeping the food for now.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

My dogs ran out of Purina Dog Chow and I saw that Pedigree was on sale last week. When you have four big dogs, you look for sales. So, I bought a 20 lbs. bag of regular dry dog food. I thought it was one of the more expensive "better" dog foods. Not so. A couple of days later, I woke up to an accident on the floor, which is extremely rare. The next day, it was vomit. The next day, three accidents, and so forth. Two of my dogs basically stopped eating and were extremely thirsty. I finally figured it out, and which dog was being affected the worst. I switched them back to Purina this morning and they ate every bite. I feel bad that my dog, who is 11-1/2 by the way, is having to stay outside today, so she can pass all of this nastiness out of her system and not in my house. Don't buy Pedigree - even if it is ON SALE! It's AWFUL!!! You might as well buy that cheap stuff at the Dollar Store if you're going to feed your dogs Pedigree.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

We just bought the canned Pedigree dog food at Walmart to share between our German Shep. mix and two chihuahuas. We liked that it didn't have corn in it, unlike their bagged food, which my GS is allergic to (super bad skin reaction). At first, our GS threw up but we thought it was just because she was older. Then later after we reintroduced it, she had diarrhea. Our female chi vomited all night and our male chi had diarrhea all night. I am never buying this brand again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I liked giving my Dalmatian 35 lbs a Dentastix for an after dinner treat. After eating it, she was extremely thirsty and drank a lot of water. The next day early in the am she would vomit her dinner. This happened three times so I quit giving her the stix. I gave the package to my cousin and her two dogs, both weigh about 12 pounds and they both got the runs and vomited. I don't know what is in this product but I recommend not feeding it to your dogs. She also had terrible diarrhea when I gave her Pedigree Kibble. I switched to Iams and she is fine. Please be careful with this brand.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My girl Tristan came in to our lives 12 years ago and her death leaves a void that will not be filled by another. As a pet owner you become very close to our fur babies and we want the best for them. I am mad at the store for not checking the dates on the canned dog food before stocking it on the shelfs to be sold. I am mad at Pedigree for selling a product that has metal shards in it and has killed not only my sweet girl Tristan but many other beloved furry family members but as of yet not recall has been placed on this product.

My sweet girl ate her canned food on Thursday evening and was dead on Monday afternoon after spending Friday, throwing up, Sat throwing up and Sunday laying there not being able to drink anything because it stopped going down and was leaking out of her mouth. Tristan was not just some dog. She was my fur baby and I raised her from a 5 week old puppy. Never in my life have I ever been so mad or hurt by the loss of an beloved furry family member but I took her death hard. Her death and many other dogs' deaths could have been avoided had Pedigree done a better job of making sure their product was safe. Instead my son had to bury his best friend.

Do not buy Pedigree dog food of any kind. Tell everyone you know not to by anything by Pedigree. Not only was metal shards found in the food and unknown meat by product was as well. Meaning they don't know what kind it was or where it came from. I hope and pray that a recall in put in place soon and this saves another pet's life and saves the family the grief that my family is suffering at the loss of one of our furry family members. Do not buy Pedigree canned, or dry dog food.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I bought 12 cans of Beef Bacon Oct 3, 2012. I fed all three dogs this food. On Oct 16, 2017 my Chihuahua died and now my Golden Lab is sick. My other Chihuahua seems to be okay... for now. I will be contacting Pedigree.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I have given my four dogs Pedigree Dry Food for years; however this week I bought a bag and gave it to them and they have all been vomiting. I didn't think it was the food until one by one all of them started throwing up after 2 day or so of eating it. I am very worried about this and what maybe in the food. I am going to throw it away. I am on a very tight budget so I went to the Pedigree website to ask if there had been a recall and to ask for a refund. The message I kept getting was that I should not use Profanity in my message but I didn't use not one word of profanity. It would not let me sent the complaint. I want to urge everyone to not give their dogs this food. I hate to run a product down but goodness, if it’s going to hurt our babies we have to say something. It's weird that ALL of my dogs started throwing up. If it were just one dog it would be different or maybe something else but it’s very suspicious.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

PEDIGREE DENTASTIX BISCUITS, LARGE size, treats that are supposed to help freshen your dog's breath. Each time I have given my 70 pound pit bull one of these treats, he has thrown up everything in his stomach and developed diarrhea. I have discontinued using Pedigree products.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My dog has been happy with Pedigree canned and dry dog food for more than a year. All of a sudden she acts as if it smelled bad. We have tried several different flavors and she will not touch it. I now have a very large bag of dry food and 2 cases of canned that my Sandy pitbull will not touch. Something is very wrong with this food. My vet said there is nothing wrong with my dog. I'm going to take this dog food back to Walmart and get my money back.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

It started on Saturday. My dog started breaking out with big welts on her snout and body. I researched it and it could be a few things. Nothing has changed in my home no new products. I don't even take my dog outside. She's a mixed Chihuahua with hot dog not big and the only thing that changed was that my daughter bought puppy growth and protection instead of small dog complete nutrition.

Instead of getting better she's getting worst. Even her private part has swollen to the point that they look like little balloons. She's crying from the pain, all of this in the matter of days. I will never feed her nor recommend this food to any dog lover as my heart is breaking every time she whines cause I can't take her pain away. They need to take this food off the market period as dogs are our children also. This company are killing our children... I'm angry that they know their product affects these animals and still sell it to make money. I truly hope their loved ones don't have to endure the agony I'm going thru.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I had been feeding my dogs (9 month old Boxer and 6 yr/o Lab) Pedigree dry dog food for a month. I had gone to the store and bought a second bag on a Monday and opened it on Tuesday. Wednesday my Boxer became sick with diarrhea and vomiting. By Friday he was broke out in hives from head to toe and his ears had swollen. The vet said it was an allergic reaction. I had given the dogs a treat earlier in the week so I thought it was probably caused from the treats I had bought.

I then began to notice that my Lab didn't seem to feel well. She didn't play much and just wanted to lay around. The following Tuesday my Boxer was feeling better and he ate some more of the Pedigree dry food. Within 15 mins of eating it he became lethargic. His ears were swelling, had turned bright red and covered in hives. I immediately gave him allergy medicine that the vet told me to give him and he was better by the next morning. I took all the Pedigree food back to the store for a refund and changed them to a different food. Both dogs are feeling much better now.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I buy Pedigree Homestyle Meals canned dog food for my 2 Shih Tzus and I divide a 13.2 oz can into 3 days for the 2 dogs. I heat up the food in microwave to take the chill of it, and it starts arching and has a burnt smell. Last week one of my dogs died after eating it, even though I went through the food and couldn't find any more metal shavings. It happened again yesterday and again I couldn't find any more shavings and it didn't arch again after the first time. This morning my other dog isn't feeling well and didn't want to eat, which NEVER happens with her. When she did finally come to the kitchen at 11:30 AM, normally she eats at 8 AM, I heated up the food and it was arching in several places. I took food out and tried to find shavings but couldn't, so I put back in microwave and it again was arching with smoke and burnt smell.

I didn't feed it to her and pulled the can out of the recycling. The can is Pedigree Homestyle Meals Lamb & Rice Flavor Stew with lot information of: 88 072519 21 1, 730DKKCF 1410LR. The other can that I believed killed my Nickel is Pedigree Homestyle Meals Heart Beef & Vegetable Flavor 13.2 oz can with LOT info of: BB 072619 21 2 730EKKF 1853HB. I don't have any money to take her to the vets and I didn't have money to have an autopsy done on my first one. She is to be cremated and I am trying to have that stopped but it’s Sunday and they most likely already cremated her. I am filing a complaint with the company also. PLEASE DON'T FEED THIS BRAND TO YOUR DOGS! I pray my Penny will recover from this. Again, I don't have the money to take her to a vet! I have the receipts for buying the cans but no way to scan it so I can post them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I used to buy these Pedigree Marrobone for my dog, but I just notice that there were some pieces of plastic which looks like paint brush bristle sticking out from almost all of the Marrobone which I never paid attention to. When I do a research on online there were hundred of complaints and recalls of their big bag of dog food which also got these small pieces of plastic sticking out of their dog food as well, and it ends up their dog died. I am glad my dog did not died yet, as I only give him four of these Marrobone each day, and I give my dog Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice even though they were more expensive.

I saw another 13 complaints with similar findings but the company is either not responding to them and said it is probably pig hair, I use the 15X powerful magnifying glass and look at it carefully and it is no pig hair, it is white and is small pieces of plastic. I ended up running back to Walmart and returned the Pedigree Marrobone. I will never buy their product again, including Pedigree dental bone as if they add these plastic to their dog food and Marrobone, I doubt very much they will not do the same to their dental bone.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Beloved by all, my pet died (age 10y). Breed: King Charles Cavalier Spaniel from England (6 week old pup: purchase plus shipping over $4,000). Last checkup Feb/2017. Joules was very healthy all her life until I bought Pedigree products at Publix/Kennesaw, GA 8/19/2017 19:05 - Called them and they contacted Pedigree that gave me a refund for: Sml Dog Healthy Longevity: ** 22:44 - can of Chicken Choice Cuts w/gravy: ** and unopened cans. But did not ask for dry sample to analyze.

Pet vomited within minutes of dry + half-can mixture. She became lethargic and in within hrs could not stand up. Her vet/Dr. ** said she never saw such damage to liver and both kidneys, blood tests: BUN >180 and surmised mycotoxins caused a stroke. An online search: The most likely killer is FDA OK’ed propylene glycol (antifreeze) which is an additive in Pedigree.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

DOG OWNERS BEWARE!!! Tinker died on July 14th. The vet said she passed bloody diarrhea before she died so she tested it and it came back positive for parvo. Everyone including the vet has no understanding of that since she was 11 years old and never missed a vaccination. All three of the dogs had been sick but Tinker couldn't seem to come out of it so we took her in. She was put on IVs and antibiotics right away and we were called that evening and told that she had passed away. This all happened in a three-day time span. Parvo takes longer than that for a dog to die from it from what I've seen before. Well 3 weeks later the other two dogs were sick to their stomachs again. The youngest only threw up once but the other one threw up through the night. That put us in a panic so we took her into the vet and the vet assured us it was just an upset stomach. Well two weeks after that they have stomach issues again.

So just out of the blue I decided to check because we had just changed dog foods a few months ago. I asked Google "is Pedigree killing dogs?" The answer scared the hell out of me. There were huge amounts of complaints of death and sickness in dogs from pedigree yet no recall has been made. One story in there was like I had written it myself about our experience. I took the huge bag and a half that we had left back to Walmart in Bend, OR and they did not hesitate to give us back all of our money. That will never bring back the love lost and broken hearts that we suffer from Tinker being taken from us.

If you have your dogs on Pedigree I would definitely think about changing it. If your dog is periodically sick to their stomach and you don't understand why look at the food. Since the dogs weren't sick everyday we didn't know we were slowly poisoning our dogs. What has to be done to get a recall? This is insane! Look at how many complaints there are.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Canned dog food - 24 pack of Beef and Chicken - When opening a few cans from the latest 24 pack I got from Walmart in Truro NS Canada I found several cans that when opened the fat at the top of the can was black and it had a foul smell to it. My boyfriend throw the remaining cans in the garbage and it was pickup before I could retrieve a can to send back to you. The case in question had the UPC # 058496733377 with expiration date of 05/2019 and I believe a product #728DAPOR01. This is the second time I have had a problem like this with your product. I have been a loyal customer since 1998.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I have a 6 month old pit/mastiff mix. She is healthy, active and very loving. I feed her Canidae dry grain free. I was in a tight spot a few days before payday when she ran out of food. I ran to the store and bought Pedigree chicken and rice dry food as a substitute for a few days. At first, she wouldn't eat it. She'd grab a mouthful and sprinkle bits throughout the living room. After day two, she started eating a little and by that night she was biting and scratching at her hind end. By day four, my poor girl had lost most of the fur on her back half in large patches, her skin was extremely red and flaky, she was vomiting after every meal and had horrible diarrhea. I didn't connect it with the food until I saw my vet that day. He told me that he often sees this with Pedigree dog food.

It is true that the food is falls within the guidelines but only barely. I immediately bought her her usual food and threw out the Pedigree. It's day 3 on her usual food and already she has quit biting and itching. The vomiting stopped in day 2 and her poo returned to normal. I contacted Pedigree and they insinuated that my dog must have gotten into a household chemical because they take pride in the food they make. They requested vet info and are sending me a refund. Which I do appreciate. But, I will never feed another animal Pedigree and I will be telling others to avoid it. I never would have imagined that a food, meant to nourish my dog, could cause her so much pain and discomfort.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

My dog Coco like her food mixed dry with wet food. It helped with getting her a little chunky. When I don't have wet food I add water to soften it soon and make it own juice and she still eat it.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

My dog Karma suffering from a grand mal seizure... A direct result of eating Pedigree dog food. The first 18 months we fed him Blue... But his vet suggested switching due to his extreme growth. We bought Pedigree and within days he started having seizures... The more he ate the more the seizures progressed from 1 to a cluster of about 5 to as many as over 15 in less than 24 hrs.

We are now at about $10,000 in vet bills and have done everything from an MRI and a spinal tap as well as every blood and urine test the vets can run. During the past 18 months I noticed when I bought any other type of dog food the seizures stopped. In May after another hospitalization I bought Purina Pro Plan Bright minds #7... For an entire month he had no seizures... As soon as that ran out and he started eating Pedigree again the seizures came back and he was yet again hospitalized. I have since thrown out all Pedigree and have consulted with attorneys trying to bring forth a class action law suit.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I have had 2 dogs who have died from liver cancer within a 2 year period which is rare in dogs. One was an 8 yr old Aussie and the other a 5 year old Aussie/German shepherd mix. The vet showed me their x-rays and their cancers were identical. I want to warn other families not to use the product. Action needs to be taken to protect our pets from inferior products.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I can't believe the amount of negative reviews I'm reading about Pedigree. My Golden Retriever has been on Pedigree for a while now but has been sick almost 2 consecutive weeks (with some good days in between) now, endless diarrhea and some vomiting. The first round I thought he may have ingested something off the ground, but then he lost interest in his food. Once he started eating regularly again, he got sick again. He's 9 years old and I had never seen him this sick from the age of 6 weeks old.

I've switched foods and he seems much better now, not a coincidence! I'm returning the bag to Costco and am appalled after everything I've read (from dogs getting sick, dying suddenly to metal shards or rat poison being found in the kibble) that there have been no recalls! I strongly encourage others to invest in a higher quality dog food, our pets are worth it. They are family! They do not care about the well being of your animal. I can guarantee you that.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Opened up a 22 oz. can of "Pedigree Chunky Ground Dinner with Chicken". While scraping off the 5 ozs of slime I decided to go complain to Pedigree website about the generosity with the slime. Yes, I did break out my food scale and I did weigh the slime. Instead I found this website. I will never feed my dogs this stuff again and I will discourage others from feeding the stuff to their dogs. It is not because I believe everything I read on the internet. It is because after reading so many other pets experiences with this food it now makes sense to me why the other night my brother's dog, Piggy, puked and pooped all over my back yard. Over and over and over again. Piggy can usually handle ALL food put in front of him, but the poor old guy got so sick the other night. None of the other dogs got sick because they let Piggy have their food, they wouldn't eat it.

13 -14 1/2 years ago I quit feeding the Pedigree dry food. I had purchased and fed a bag to my dogs and around the time my female, Snap, for some reason started losing the fur on her knees. I didn't connect the fur loss with the food. Dogs finished off the bag and I didn't purchase Pedigree dry food again until about a year or so later. When Snap started losing her knee fur again I knew exactly what was causing the problem. I have never bought the dry Pedigree since and my 15-year-old puppy has never lost her knee fur since. My heart goes out to all who have lost and suffered at the hands of the Pedigree dog food company.

Original review: June 28, 2017

We always fed my dog good food and We Know Better. Unfortunately my husband lost his job and we were on a budget all of a sudden. We Sto picked up the pedigree wet food packets for $0.50 each. I was hesitant about buying these packets and we even argued in the store about it I told him the dog would probably not eat it he bought it anyways. We mix the wet food with his dry food. My dog ate the first couple of bowls when we fed him. And then he stopped eating and then he died. Within that week of changing his food he kept throwing up. It took about three times of him throwing up before we realized we should take him to the vet. By then it was too late and he started bleeding a lot from his behind. He died quickly.

WE BELIEVE we killed our dog by giving him this food. It smelled really bad. It wasn't even food. We saw the gelatin and the white stuff surrounding it but my husband still was giving it to him. Reading these reviews after the fact... it brought continuous tears to our eyes. We bought our food at PetSmart. I did email them and let them know our situation. Please do not give your dog Pedigree and if you know anybody that is giving them Pedigree tell them to stop giving that to their dog.

Original review: June 27, 2017

My 3.5 yr old healthy German Shepherd went to the vet on June 13th to have her leg checked. Nothing big, vet felt that she is overweight. {She is a big girl 105 LBS.} Said it was best to put her on special weight control diet. So after finishing her other bag of food, I bought Pedigree weight Control. I started her on it June 22. I got woke up at 1:30 am to vomiting non stop. On June 23rd my healthy dog would not eat, or drink. She was very lethargic. I took her back to the vet that afternoon. Not thinking about the new dog food, the vet thought maybe she had a bowel obstruction since her stomach was so tender to touch. Took x-ray's nothing found. At this point the vet said she was giving her a shot to stop the vomiting and did sub Q injections. The bill was 247.00. Told me to hold all food until vomiting stopped. So no food on Friday the 23rd.

On Saturday the 24th she had a small bowel movement. It looked very black and bumpy, but it was a bowel movement. So vomiting stopped, but then she began having nothing but straight water diarrhea. I spoke to the Vet. I was told to give her boiled hamburger meat with rice, call on Monday if any other issues. Well she still had diarrhea, but was doing ok after that. On Sunday June 25th diarrhea was so bad the poor dog was running to the door, she was trying to go to the bathroom, nothing would come out. She was straining so hard. I went to the store and got her Pedigree Chicken and Rice CAN FOOD. Thinking the hamburger and rice was too heavy. The dog ate very little of this. Not long after eating she started throwing up again. I took everything away from her again.

Monday today June 26th I called the vet when they opened. I was told to bring her right in, the Vet said she must have a bowel obstruction. Going to do more test. Did another set of x-rays, nothing showed up. Next was a Barium Swallow. No blockage. What it did show was the Barium swallow was all around the dog's stomach, Barium Swallow glows where there is issues, so my dog's WHOLE stomach lit up. This is a healthy young female German Shepherd, with NO Stomach issues. Now my dog is hospitalized, on IV fluids, medicine to stop the vomiting and Diarrhea. Vet said her stomach is enlarged and inflamed. My dog will be in the hospital until all this is under control, and that is if they get it under control. My vet said she cannot rule out EXPLORATORY SURGERY to see what damage has been done.

I did not know anything about all these bad reviews. My husband did a random Google search and came across this website. Why is there no recalls, nothing on the News. Pets are dying and being hospitalize. And NOTHING. I'm going to contact the news, to see if they will get answers. I also feel the stores that continue to carry this product should be held equally held responsible. I bought the Bag of Pedigree Diet Control from Walmart. The chicken and rice can food was bought at Kroger. PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT... Pedigree needs to recall this dangerous food.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I have fed my dogs Pedigree canned dog food for years. But this year Pedigree has added a gelatin-like substance to their food. My dog will not eat it! I have to carefully slide it out of the can and scrape all the substance off the food. This morning I measured the substance and it was 1/4 of a cup!! I don't consider this stuff food! Consequently I will be swapping to another brand!

Original review: May 30, 2017

I recently purchased some of their canned dog food such as Chunky Ground Dinner Beef, Bacon and Cheese Flavor, Chunky Ground Dinner Turkey and Bacon and Chopped Ground Dinner with Beef. I notice the main ingredients are Chicken By-Products, Chicken Meat, Liver and then finally an ingredient related to the label. The label of these products is misleading at best. I feel duped by Pedigree not calling the dog food for what it is, Chicken By-Products with flavoring and a huge amount of chemicals. I did a little investigation on your wet and dry food products and I was disappointed at the number of complaints. Just a heads up to check the actual ingredients and don't believe marketing that promotes the product using questionable comments.

Original review: May 24, 2017

About 6 weeks ago I bought a 55 lb bag of Pedigree Adult Dry Dog Food with roasted chicken rice and vegetables. With days all three of my golden retrievers were sick in varying degrees. Some had diarrhea, some were throwing up and one of them had a seizure. None of them had any health problems so I thought maybe they had gotten sick from something but did not suspect the dog food.

Last night the same one had another seizure and I started doing research online to try and find out what might be happening. That's when I found out about the issues with Pedigree. With so many of the same complaints, why isn't something being done to get this food off the market? For us pet owners, these are our babies. We love them as family. Something needs to be done about this company selling food that makes animals sick and has even killed some. I still have one unopened bag and about 40 pounds in a container that I will have to dispose of. My dogs will not eat another bite. I just hope that no permanent damage has been done.

Original review: May 24, 2017

My dogs won't eat Pedigree dog food for the 2nd 20lbs bag now and I had to throw it out. My older lab is now displaying kidney failure symptoms. We switched to "Purina One" dog food and both dogs immediately ate it without any coaxing. Something appears to be very wrong with the Purina dog food and they refuse to eat it!

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information