2.48/5
Based on 80 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Last updated: April 16, 2018

1002 Pedigree Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 16, 2018

I have been using Pedigree for the longest. About 9 months ago I started noticing hair all in the dog food a hard pieces of something. Hard to explain like bristle off of a wire brush! Plus it was making my dogs have runny stools! I will NOT be purchasing no more food for my fur babies!! And note I contacted Pedigree about this situation and they wanted to refund my money back for a bag... I didn't want that. I wanted it to be known! I bought another bag same thing!

Original review: April 11, 2018

We use to use Victor puppy and dog food. We switched to Pedigree and all my OEBD puppy litters and my dogs have been on it for a while and they love it. They get full. They have no gas like before and they eat all of it. I have seen several reviews of dogs getting sick and how it's not good. But I truly don't understand cause we haven't had any issues. We have had our last 3 litters weaned from Mom to Pedigree puppy and also when they went to bed homes their new parents bought it also. Vet checks and all. No problems.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We have given our Border Collie Pedigree dry food before with no problem. She is an older dog and a few months ago I began cooking food for her. Was not feeling well so purchased a box of the Senior Dog Pouches of food, gave her two pouches mixed with her dry Baker's the day before yesterday, and then again yesterday, today she has had diarrhea all day, worse than she's ever had before, and she's thrown up. Keeping her off food for today, just giving her water. She doesn't act any differently but I'm keeping an eye on her and tomorrow will cook her some chicken and rice. Don't know for sure if it's the food but I'm not taking any chances, no more Pedigree.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I changed my dog to Pedigree from Science Diet because I couldn't afford the other anymore. Pedigree was a trusted brand that I had raised former dogs with 15 years ago. But this dog felt a little worse each day for about three weeks, drinking more and more water, breathing rapidly, with mucousy, yellow, diarrhea. I could tell her liver or gallbladder was involved, so I took her off the Pedigree and took her to the vet. He gave her meds for a UT infection and said the rapid breathing was from pain. Ten days later the course of antibiotics was over, yet she was worse. She peed and vomited all over the house, including thick white foam.

At the emergency room, they did a barrage of tests but could find nothing except that her gums and mucosa are sticky, and she is completely dehydrated despite the fact that she has been drinking so much water. They wanted to do exploratory surgery. My vet said, "Let's treat the symptoms." So he has been giving her pain and nausea meds. She refuses to eat now, and can't produce a bowel movement no matter how much she tries. We're probably going back to the emergency room after I call poison control. I found other people here with the same symptoms, so that gives us the first clue. I am writing my story so others will have clues.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My dog became extremely ill 24 hours after eating Pedigree wet food in the pouch. 6 days later she passed away. She was 4 years old, had regular visits to the vet, and was up to date on her vaccines. She was in the prime of her life and was extremely healthy and her death was completely out of the blue. Is it strange that she ate Pedigree - a spur of the moment thing and not her normal brand - and then died? If this has happened to anyone else, I would love to hear your story. E-mail me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: March 8, 2018

Doing some research took me here. Heartbroken, lost my best friend Zeus R.I.P./an adult boxer... we lost him last month Feb. 6th 2018. The fam. been trying to cope with the pain... but now 1 month later we have to do it again, our chihuahua died last night... same symtoms = falling, breathing heavy, drinking a lot of water, Diarrhea. After wondering on how do you lose 2 dogs in a month everything was overnight. They were only sick for a day. BUT THEY'VE BEEN EATING PEDIGREE DRY FOOD, AND THE FIRST DOG THAT PASSED, HAD THE WET FOOD THAT COMES IN THE LITTLE POUCHES from Pedigree.

Also couple of days before he passed, the second dog, have been eating it for a month, she died exactly one month and one day after. Now after reading some reviews on Pedigree food, we think it has something to do with their death. People should really be aware!! Please if anyone has an advice on what to do next, it'll be very helpful.

Original review: March 6, 2018

My dog experienced a psychotic break after eating MarroBone for just a week as a treat. After four days she rejected the treat, and she never rejects food. Obviously, this wasn't food to her. She became extremely afraid of everything she loves. She was afraid of her walk, she was afraid of her room, the house and even us. This product should be taken off the market. Do not feed your dog Pedigree MarroBone. She is slowly coming back to normal, but is still frightened and not herself. It is unfortunate that all I can do is write a complaint about this. This product should be removed from shelves.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

We had these for about a week. We would give them as a treat, especially right before leaving. In that week we found pee on our bed and couch after coming home which was very unusual. After giving one to the dogs, one of them had a seizure. I think he must have had 2 while we were gone and lost bladder control. Other people have had this same problem with Dentastix. He hasn't had another seizure since getting rid of these. Not all dogs are affected but I'm certain this caused the seizures.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I recently purchased Pedigree Dog Food from Sam's Club. The dogs usually like the Sam's Club brand, but this time I thought I was giving them a treat by getting them something name brand. Upon opening the bag I noticed immediately the dog food was much larger and harder than the Sam's Club brand. The dogs had a tough time eating this. This morning I woke up to a dog that had a bloody stool upstairs. I think the food is inedible for pets and needs to be removed from the shelf before it kills someone's pet. I will be taking it back to the store this morning and getting my Sam's Club brand.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Pedigree dry dog food for adult dogs - My four dogs got ill with this food. My dogs were eating Dog Chow and they had eaten Pedigree in the past. I restarted them on Pedigree and noticed the food was a little redder than usual. My four dogs got very ill with diarrhea. I am very upset with the Pedigree company for such a terrible product.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have 2 Staffordshire bull terrier, both female, 1 is 12 the other is 4. I went to Tesco on Monday evening to buy some dog food, unfortunately they had run out of the usual food we normally buy so I went for the Pedigree dry dog food. I got home and fed my dogs as I usually would, not realising the HUGE MISTAKE I had just made. Both dogs ate the food well. I expected some different stool movements as I had changed the girls' food but what I've experienced is horrific!! Come Tuesday morning I noticed my eldest girl was falling over and looked like she had drunk 8 pints of beer!!

She developed a tremor and was very very thirsty and wouldn't eat anything at all, she had vomited as well. Anyway come Tuesday tea time she seemed to come round after about 20 BIG bowls of water. My youngest seemed fine throughout Tue daytime. However in the early hours of Wednesday morning I woke up to my youngest have a seizure! She was so disoriented couldn't walk straight, bumping into things, walking around in circles and vomiting. As the hours passed she had another 4 seizures, they wasn't very long but as you can imagine very upsetting for the family. She also drank litres and litres of water even though she was bringing it back up.

Luckily for my dog she is now just returning back to normal even though she's really tired but that's to be expected after a seizure. Both my dogs are fit and healthy and have regular check ups at the vets. It was like they had both been possessed by something! I have never experienced anything like this with my girls. I went onto the internet to do some research and what I found was awful. There have been other reports of dogs having seizures and tremors after eating Pedigree dog food, I looked at many many reviews and comments about the food.

I even thought to myself I'm I been paranoid. Have they eaten something else, but as my husband stated "the dogs only go out in the garden" and yes we do have a huge garden! So is it a coincidence that after eating the pedigree food they BOTH become ill? I think not! Avoid this brand at all costs, I thought I was going to lose my youngest. It was heartbreaking and the company should be ashamed of themselves as there is obviously something in this food! If you value your pet STAY AWAY FROM PEDIGREE!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My puppy nearly died because she ate a can of Pedigree puppy dog food. In Dec 2017 I bought Pedigree Puppy Chicken & Beef and fed it to my German Shepard puppy. Right after she ate it she started vomiting and it smelled really bad and like a chemical. She got so sick and was vomiting, pooping out blood and lethargic. I took her to the vet and she was poisoned. Her kidneys were shutting down and whatever chemicals that were in the can of Pedigree were eating her stomach lining causing her to poop out blood. She was at the vet's for a week on an IV and nearly died. I contacted Pedigree. All they did was give a lot of excuses as to why it was not their fault. They claimed it was because the puppy was given wet food after being on a dry food diet. Any excuse not to accept responsibility. They even dismissed what the vet told them and made their own medical claims based on not ever seeing the dog or records.

Pedigree said she did not have kidney failure and she just had a little upset stomach. So being at the vet hospital for a week and at death's door, blood test and pooping blood is just an upset stomach according to Pedigree. It was just a big waste of my time contacting Pedigree the company. They did not care at all. All they cared about was making claims that they are not responsible. They have vet techs that you speak with that have a list of common conditions based on your dog's breed and try and use this as a way to avoid responsibility. Meanwhile I am out hundreds of dollars and Pedigree has no intentions of doing anything about it. I had been a long time consumer of Pedigree but after this experience I will never buy Pedigree again. They did not even express any concern for the puppy. Their focus was to deny responsibility.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I gave my dogs a total of two canned of Pedigree canned dog food. They are 1 yr old and 6 month old golden retrievers. They now have severe diarrhea for going on three days now. This unfortunately isn’t the first time pedigree products have done this to my dogs. Dentastix have done same thing just not to this degree. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I used the small dog formula (Small Crunchy Bites) for most of my dog's life. He seemed to enjoy the taste, the food seemed to be nutritious, and, I believe, was responsible for my dog's almost perfect teeth. He was 16 years old when he died recently and seldom had an upset stomach and never had a tooth problem.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My pet ate the food good but as I learned more about ingredients I had to change to one that had more of a natural and less wheat and corn products. Dogs did not seem to get full.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

When I first got my dog, the previous owner had been feeding him Pedigree so I just continued with that. I one day decided to try something different and bought some Beneful for weight control because my dog is overweight but he didn't seem to care for it as much as Pedigree. I later tried Kibbles & Bits just to see what he would do, and he didn't seem to care for that much either. I guess he is just stuck in his ways!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Our dogs ate Pedigree but then never got filled up cause 1st ingredient is corn which is not good food. So we switch to food Pro Plan. Our dogs love it and I'll never change this brand.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Searching for a dog food that was healthy, nourishing, well liked by my dog and within my budget often presents a challenge to me. When I found Pedigree, it solved many of my problems. The Pedigree dog food was easy to locate in nearby stores. Then I read the ingredients, looked at the price and was thrilled that I found a good product. The next test came when I opened the food, placed it into the doggie dish and watched to see if my dog would eat the food, without being fussy. She gobbled up the food and looked up at me for more. I felt great. Thanks for offering a good reliable product that nourishes my dog and fits my budget.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My Italian greyhound likes it, and it does not bother her... We tried Blue Buffalo and Beyond, but she wouldn't eat them, plus we tried Eukanuba and that upset her stomach, so we went back to Pedigree and she is fine with it...

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

The Pedigree pet food has good ingredients. Very healthy for the dog. Also the dog does like it. Never have to sweeten the food up with other items like hot dogs or other meat items.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I had fed my 15 and 18 year old pups Pedigree ALL OF THEIR LIVES… I still feed my two new pups (4 months & 4 years) Pedigree both canned and kibble. Both my passed pups thrived on it and NEVER had any medical issues. We only went to the vet for annual checkups. With my 2 new pups they are also thrived on Pedigree. I am also a dog boarder/sitter and I see nothing but crazy diet that my clients provided instruct which they HATE. They gravitate to MY dogs food instead of their own. Despite the fact their moms and dads insistence that their dogs HATE processed food.

They chose Pedigree above "home-made concoctions" that they thought were better for their pups - it never failed... My guest pups had better digestive systems, were not leaving "messes" all overly 200 year old farmhouse. So in ending this - I have converted many of my clients to Pedigree… Rather that the very pricey and extreme eating habits to Pedigree. If you have had so many dogs and 2 of your own that live happy, healthy pups who lived to 15 and 18… I would never change a thing.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Our dog is very particular about what he will eat; he has eaten Pedigree "Small Dog" food for as long as I can remember. We also make sure the products we give him are made in the USA.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I buy this dog food for the large dogs, cause it seems to be a good value. The large dogs seem to like it a lot and it helps keep their weight up to standard.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Not as good as the other dog food but I can't always afford it sometimes. They don't like the no name brands or the very cheap but they would appreciate anything. I have one that can't chew hard food. His teeth are very bad and broken. I really need help to feed my babies... THANK YOU.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Not a bad food, as most off the shelf foods they can be high in sugar products versus animal proteins. Watch the labels closely as this can be detrimental to pets in the long run.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

The Pedigree Pet Foods are not the best in nutrients, but less expensive than the others. Dogs only eat about half of what we put in the bowl unless we mix it with some wet food.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Pedigree Pet Foods is fairly well rated. My son's little terrier seems to like it and I find that he is healthy and very energetic. His coat is shiny, thick, and easily groomed. His appetite is consistent and he seems to be getting the necessary nutrients from this dog food. All in all, I feel that I will continue with this product for now.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My pets love all three flavors of Pedigree in the small dog category and I have never experienced a problem with them not liking this brand. It is their favorite.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My dogs love this food. I prefer to get "Healthy Joints" but it is rarely available so I get the Senior food. I switched from Ol Roy to Pedigree and my fur babies are loving it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Don't buy this Pedigree. My pets started eating all type of foods. Then one day I bought Pedigree and feed to my puppies they ate very well, next day I feed normal home food they didn't eat. Still now any other home food. They eat only Pedigree one. My pet going to sick and it leading to death. I am very disappointed with this product.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information