2.67/5
Based on 82 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

1015 Pedigree Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 11, 2018

I've been using the ground canned for years, with past and present dogs. They all have loved it. Last week, as usual, I fed all 4 dogs the canned Pedigree and later that night they had water diarrhea. I wasn't sure right away what was causing it so I kept notes of everything that they ate while deleting a few foods at a time. My vet gave me probiotics and they did nothing.

The 2nd and 3rd nights, I gave them the Chicken & Rice Pedigree canned to try to settle their stomachs. I finally realized that it was the canned making them sick so I cooked for them the 4th night. By the 5th day morning, they were back to normal. I remembered back a year or so that they got sick like that out of nowhere. Now I know what was doing it. Also some of their canned has so much fat in the can that you can peel it off. I called them last year on this and they did nothing. I have found a more expensive canned that they love so I will stick to that. I'll never buy anything Pedigree again!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I bought Pedigree soft food to mix with his hard food. He loved for about the first 4 months. Then I noticed a change in him. He didn’t want to eat it anymore and became very lethargic. He started throwing up bile and having diarrhea. I read some reviews and they sounded similar to what was happening with Buckeye. I took him off it a week ago and he is back to his normal self. Very concerned about what in the food could have caused this issue.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My dogs really like Pedigree & I mix it with a tablespoon of the Wet. It's less expensive than some brands and living on a budget that's very important to me. The crunchy texture is good for their teeth. I think they are healthy. My poodle is 16+, my chi is 9, golden 6, all have a honey coats and lots of energy.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Juliette, Romeo, and Jiffy (our dogs) seem to love Pedigree. When we run out they love having my homemade dinners but when we go get the food they eat it up almost as fast as homemade food.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Pedigree is my puppy's favorite. I have tried her on a couple different one she either covers them up or turns them over. She runs to her kennel to eat when she sees that yellow pack of Pedigree.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: May 4, 2018

My dog is picky, but, loves Pedigree. She's a Puggle, so, size works well with her. We have tried several dog foods, from the top of the line, and expensive, to, "medium grade". Although she liked almost all dog food for about a week, I found the higher end, made her stools too frequent, and loose.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I purchased 7lbs Pedigree Complete Nutrition for Adult Dogs on or about 4/21/18. Later that evening after feeding my 8 yr old American Pitbull Terrier, Gus, he started vomiting thick clear mucus. Then as the night went on it turned green. The next morning when we woke up he peed in the house; he is trained and doesn't do that at all. That's when I noticed that he was walking like he couldn't see... bumping into things. He couldn't walk up the steps and most scariest of them all was that the face is sagging now on the right side as if he had a stroke. He walks now with his head cocked to the right side. I never seen my fur baby act this way. I haven't fed him Pedigree since and he is slowly getting better.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Death of dog after starting to feed Pedigree Dry Dog Food. Previously well 6 year old Aus Shepherd developed "mystery" illness-vomiting and diarrhea and never touched food for 12 days - finally having to be "put down" in Dec 2017. Would like info if others had similar experience as I've recently heard of recalls.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I don't like the fact that the Pedigree main ingredient is corn or corn meal or by products. The price is good for a 50 lb. bag but my dogs are not able to eat corn. It breaks their skin out.

Original review: April 28, 2018

My dogs have been on Pedigree for over 45 years & are happy & healthy. I have never found a problem with this food. People have found things that don’t belong in all brands of food, just check each bag of whatever food you choose to feed your dogs to make sure each bag is okay.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My dog likes Pedigree, he is a small dog so I buy him the small breed bag. I buy him a different brand and will not eat till he is in starving mode, so have quit switching him. Price works out for me and as far as taste is concerned he is the taster and it agrees with him, put him on Rachael Ray brand and he would not eat it. So he is a perky dog but finicky so as long as he's happy, that's all I need to know.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My dog is over 17 years old and I have had to switch her to moist food. All the different Pedigree package sizes is helpful since she eats more on some days than others.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I feed my Great Pyrenees Pedigree Adult because I was told by a man who raises them that it is good for the bigger dogs. My dog is 6 years old and still acts like a puppy. He is beautiful. I believe the dog food is the reason he is so healthy.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I have been using Pedigree for the longest. About 9 months ago I started noticing hair all in the dog food a hard pieces of something. Hard to explain like bristle off of a wire brush! Plus it was making my dogs have runny stools! I will NOT be purchasing no more food for my fur babies!! And note I contacted Pedigree about this situation and they wanted to refund my money back for a bag... I didn't want that. I wanted it to be known! I bought another bag same thing!

Original review: April 11, 2018

We use to use Victor puppy and dog food. We switched to Pedigree and all my OEBD puppy litters and my dogs have been on it for a while and they love it. They get full. They have no gas like before and they eat all of it. I have seen several reviews of dogs getting sick and how it's not good. But I truly don't understand cause we haven't had any issues. We have had our last 3 litters weaned from Mom to Pedigree puppy and also when they went to bed homes their new parents bought it also. Vet checks and all. No problems.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We have given our Border Collie Pedigree dry food before with no problem. She is an older dog and a few months ago I began cooking food for her. Was not feeling well so purchased a box of the Senior Dog Pouches of food, gave her two pouches mixed with her dry Baker's the day before yesterday, and then again yesterday, today she has had diarrhea all day, worse than she's ever had before, and she's thrown up. Keeping her off food for today, just giving her water. She doesn't act any differently but I'm keeping an eye on her and tomorrow will cook her some chicken and rice. Don't know for sure if it's the food but I'm not taking any chances, no more Pedigree.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I changed my dog to Pedigree from Science Diet because I couldn't afford the other anymore. Pedigree was a trusted brand that I had raised former dogs with 15 years ago. But this dog felt a little worse each day for about three weeks, drinking more and more water, breathing rapidly, with mucousy, yellow, diarrhea. I could tell her liver or gallbladder was involved, so I took her off the Pedigree and took her to the vet. He gave her meds for a UT infection and said the rapid breathing was from pain. Ten days later the course of antibiotics was over, yet she was worse. She peed and vomited all over the house, including thick white foam.

At the emergency room, they did a barrage of tests but could find nothing except that her gums and mucosa are sticky, and she is completely dehydrated despite the fact that she has been drinking so much water. They wanted to do exploratory surgery. My vet said, "Let's treat the symptoms." So he has been giving her pain and nausea meds. She refuses to eat now, and can't produce a bowel movement no matter how much she tries. We're probably going back to the emergency room after I call poison control. I found other people here with the same symptoms, so that gives us the first clue. I am writing my story so others will have clues.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My dog became extremely ill 24 hours after eating Pedigree wet food in the pouch. 6 days later she passed away. She was 4 years old, had regular visits to the vet, and was up to date on her vaccines. She was in the prime of her life and was extremely healthy and her death was completely out of the blue. Is it strange that she ate Pedigree - a spur of the moment thing and not her normal brand - and then died? If this has happened to anyone else, I would love to hear your story. E-mail me.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Doing some research took me here. Heartbroken, lost my best friend Zeus R.I.P./an adult boxer... we lost him last month Feb. 6th 2018. The fam. been trying to cope with the pain... but now 1 month later we have to do it again, our chihuahua died last night... same symtoms = falling, breathing heavy, drinking a lot of water, Diarrhea. After wondering on how do you lose 2 dogs in a month everything was overnight. They were only sick for a day. BUT THEY'VE BEEN EATING PEDIGREE DRY FOOD, AND THE FIRST DOG THAT PASSED, HAD THE WET FOOD THAT COMES IN THE LITTLE POUCHES from Pedigree.

Also couple of days before he passed, the second dog, have been eating it for a month, she died exactly one month and one day after. Now after reading some reviews on Pedigree food, we think it has something to do with their death. People should really be aware!! Please if anyone has an advice on what to do next, it'll be very helpful.

Original review: March 6, 2018

My dog experienced a psychotic break after eating MarroBone for just a week as a treat. After four days she rejected the treat, and she never rejects food. Obviously, this wasn't food to her. She became extremely afraid of everything she loves. She was afraid of her walk, she was afraid of her room, the house and even us. This product should be taken off the market. Do not feed your dog Pedigree MarroBone. She is slowly coming back to normal, but is still frightened and not herself. It is unfortunate that all I can do is write a complaint about this. This product should be removed from shelves.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

We had these for about a week. We would give them as a treat, especially right before leaving. In that week we found pee on our bed and couch after coming home which was very unusual. After giving one to the dogs, one of them had a seizure. I think he must have had 2 while we were gone and lost bladder control. Other people have had this same problem with Dentastix. He hasn't had another seizure since getting rid of these. Not all dogs are affected but I'm certain this caused the seizures.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I recently purchased Pedigree Dog Food from Sam's Club. The dogs usually like the Sam's Club brand, but this time I thought I was giving them a treat by getting them something name brand. Upon opening the bag I noticed immediately the dog food was much larger and harder than the Sam's Club brand. The dogs had a tough time eating this. This morning I woke up to a dog that had a bloody stool upstairs. I think the food is inedible for pets and needs to be removed from the shelf before it kills someone's pet. I will be taking it back to the store this morning and getting my Sam's Club brand.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Pedigree dry dog food for adult dogs - My four dogs got ill with this food. My dogs were eating Dog Chow and they had eaten Pedigree in the past. I restarted them on Pedigree and noticed the food was a little redder than usual. My four dogs got very ill with diarrhea. I am very upset with the Pedigree company for such a terrible product.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have 2 Staffordshire bull terrier, both female, 1 is 12 the other is 4. I went to Tesco on Monday evening to buy some dog food, unfortunately they had run out of the usual food we normally buy so I went for the Pedigree dry dog food. I got home and fed my dogs as I usually would, not realising the HUGE MISTAKE I had just made. Both dogs ate the food well. I expected some different stool movements as I had changed the girls' food but what I've experienced is horrific!! Come Tuesday morning I noticed my eldest girl was falling over and looked like she had drunk 8 pints of beer!!

She developed a tremor and was very very thirsty and wouldn't eat anything at all, she had vomited as well. Anyway come Tuesday tea time she seemed to come round after about 20 BIG bowls of water. My youngest seemed fine throughout Tue daytime. However in the early hours of Wednesday morning I woke up to my youngest have a seizure! She was so disoriented couldn't walk straight, bumping into things, walking around in circles and vomiting. As the hours passed she had another 4 seizures, they wasn't very long but as you can imagine very upsetting for the family. She also drank litres and litres of water even though she was bringing it back up.

Luckily for my dog she is now just returning back to normal even though she's really tired but that's to be expected after a seizure. Both my dogs are fit and healthy and have regular check ups at the vets. It was like they had both been possessed by something! I have never experienced anything like this with my girls. I went onto the internet to do some research and what I found was awful. There have been other reports of dogs having seizures and tremors after eating Pedigree dog food, I looked at many many reviews and comments about the food.

I even thought to myself I'm I been paranoid. Have they eaten something else, but as my husband stated "the dogs only go out in the garden" and yes we do have a huge garden! So is it a coincidence that after eating the pedigree food they BOTH become ill? I think not! Avoid this brand at all costs, I thought I was going to lose my youngest. It was heartbreaking and the company should be ashamed of themselves as there is obviously something in this food! If you value your pet STAY AWAY FROM PEDIGREE!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My puppy nearly died because she ate a can of Pedigree puppy dog food. In Dec 2017 I bought Pedigree Puppy Chicken & Beef and fed it to my German Shepard puppy. Right after she ate it she started vomiting and it smelled really bad and like a chemical. She got so sick and was vomiting, pooping out blood and lethargic. I took her to the vet and she was poisoned. Her kidneys were shutting down and whatever chemicals that were in the can of Pedigree were eating her stomach lining causing her to poop out blood. She was at the vet's for a week on an IV and nearly died. I contacted Pedigree. All they did was give a lot of excuses as to why it was not their fault. They claimed it was because the puppy was given wet food after being on a dry food diet. Any excuse not to accept responsibility. They even dismissed what the vet told them and made their own medical claims based on not ever seeing the dog or records.

Pedigree said she did not have kidney failure and she just had a little upset stomach. So being at the vet hospital for a week and at death's door, blood test and pooping blood is just an upset stomach according to Pedigree. It was just a big waste of my time contacting Pedigree the company. They did not care at all. All they cared about was making claims that they are not responsible. They have vet techs that you speak with that have a list of common conditions based on your dog's breed and try and use this as a way to avoid responsibility. Meanwhile I am out hundreds of dollars and Pedigree has no intentions of doing anything about it. I had been a long time consumer of Pedigree but after this experience I will never buy Pedigree again. They did not even express any concern for the puppy. Their focus was to deny responsibility.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I gave my dogs a total of two canned of Pedigree canned dog food. They are 1 yr old and 6 month old golden retrievers. They now have severe diarrhea for going on three days now. This unfortunately isn’t the first time pedigree products have done this to my dogs. Dentastix have done same thing just not to this degree. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I used the small dog formula (Small Crunchy Bites) for most of my dog's life. He seemed to enjoy the taste, the food seemed to be nutritious, and, I believe, was responsible for my dog's almost perfect teeth. He was 16 years old when he died recently and seldom had an upset stomach and never had a tooth problem.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My pet ate the food good but as I learned more about ingredients I had to change to one that had more of a natural and less wheat and corn products. Dogs did not seem to get full.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

When I first got my dog, the previous owner had been feeding him Pedigree so I just continued with that. I one day decided to try something different and bought some Beneful for weight control because my dog is overweight but he didn't seem to care for it as much as Pedigree. I later tried Kibbles & Bits just to see what he would do, and he didn't seem to care for that much either. I guess he is just stuck in his ways!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Our dogs ate Pedigree but then never got filled up cause 1st ingredient is corn which is not good food. So we switch to food Pro Plan. Our dogs love it and I'll never change this brand.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information