3.08/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1061 Pedigree Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 9, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 2 year old Pitt baby Taste of the Wild dry food and Cesar wet food mixed for about a year and have had no issues. About 2 months ago I ran out of the Cesars and decided to try the Pedigree wet pouches. About 3 days after switching I leave my dog with a friend while I went out of town. When I returned he was deathly ill, he was suffering from vomiting and diarrhea and began to bleed from his rectum. I immediately took him to the vet and they placed him on a regimen of antibiotics and pills to stop the vomiting.

At this point I’m thinking that maybe he got into something and did not make the connection to the food. I stop all wet food until this past Sunday I decided to reincorporate it. What a mistake! My dog has been vomiting and having nonstop diarrhea since Monday morning! He only ate ONE pouch and is in bad shape. If his condition doesn’t improve by the time I return from work I’ll have to take him to the vet again! Do you and your fur baby a favor and leave this garbage on the shelf! I’m furious that this is happening to him again.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I had a beautiful 150 lb German Shepherd named Rhino. He ate Pedigree his whole life. At age 9 he died from bladder cancer. The vet was curious to see the bladder. After he had passed she opened it to find the lining with a green stain to it. She stated it was almost certain the cancer was from the green dye in the food. I have no confidence in any brand dog food. I now buy discounted meats and mix with a little brown rice and mix vegetables. I put in single servings and freeze. Before I go to work I take out two bags for my pups. When I get home it's thawed. Then I microwave for a few seconds. It doesn't cost me much more than dog food and I never have any issues with their health. Their muscle tone is awesome and they have very shiny coats. They love it which is important. I highly suggest this diet.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Pencil was put on Pedigree about 8 months ago. He ate the food, started healthy weight. I thought nothing of this then he would sneak and finish my pom's pouches that she left. The first sign he had I can see now was he was always thirsty, then. diarrhea but only when he ate hers. Then about 2 weeks from the day he died he had a knot on his side got big then slowly went down and on 03/27/2019. I lost my sweet baby to internal bleeding. And now my pom is having diarrhea, and she's thirsty all the time. I'm now scared I might lose her too! Both prior to Pedigree was eating Purina with no problems. I got my beagle when he was just 2 months old 'til his passing he was 7 years old, my pom is 15 years old. I've had her since she was about 2 yrs.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Well treats made with real marrow. I thought that was great. But then I found stuff that shouldnt be present. I don't know if it was a thick brush bristle or a really thick hair. But I didn't care for it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I don't have any details about the lot number or bar code food as we pour it into a clean/dry storage container from its bag. We bought a bag from Sam's Club in January 2019 and of our 8 dogs, the only two who eat Pedigree Complete Nutrition and had been on it for about 4 days began to experience diarrhea. It took us about 4-5 days to figure out which dogs were sick and to eliminate causes. The other dogs exhibited none of the symptoms as these two. Once we changed the food to another dry food, the dogs have begun to improve and no longer seem to be having issues with diarrhea.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

We have two golden retrievers, one is a year old and the other is 3 years old... They had both been on this food for their whole life and they were happy and healthy. Last November we noticed a decrease in appetite in both of them then each started randomly vomiting clear or yellow phlegm. The vet saw nothing wrong but the vomiting and then constipation grew worse and worse. I looked up reviews on this food and was shocked to read so many people describing the same issues with their dogs and they got better after switching their food. I didn’t think it could be the food since it was the same food they had always been eating. I would assume the company changed the formula because after switching their food, both dogs are symptom free after only 3 days and several weeks later are back to their old selves. I’m glad I made the switch even though we pay more for the food now, their health is worth it!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Our 12 year old Jack Russell (Jack) has eaten this brand of dog food most of his life. Sunday (2/17/19) my husband opened a new box of food for him. He ate one pouch early in the day. By noon, our Jack Russell was throwing up. We didn't think too much about it because that's what dogs do from time to time. Jack wasn't as perky as usual but again...dogs do this from time to time. Jack didn't eat the food my husband had put out for him this morning which is very unusual. When my husband got home from work today (Monday 2/18), he found Jack lethargic, convulsing, and covered in diarrhea. He died a short time later. He seemed to be in discomfort, seizing, listless. He had a faint whimper a couple of times.

I think he was hanging on for us. We went outside and searched the yard for anything that could have hurt him. Nothing, of course he would have consumed what harmed him so nothing would probably be around for us to find. When we returned, he was gone. We have been very pleased with Pedigree but want to share our experience just in case his death is related to the food, here are the numbers on the box. 8 33 01 4 JC 09. 04 09 227-00 Best before 11/2019.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Bought this poison at Walmart until I could get my regular brand. All 4 of my dogs were sick within 5 days. Clear vomit, diarrhea, lymph nodes swollen in neck, not eating. Took all off this ** within 3 days all much better now. Shameful we have to worry about our animals from these rats. Karma is a **. You'll get yours.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My American bulldog was switched to Pedigree to save some money. My mom used this brand on our family dog and had no issues. So, the first week my bully on the food he was consipated. I thought nothing of it because my husband just left for a school and he normally gets depressed when my husband leaves. When my bully finally pooped it was a little bloody, which I assumed was from being consipated for a few days. After that it's been diarrhea and throwing up. He barely sleeps because he going outside constantly. Which again, I assumed was from being depressed because that's how he acts when my husband leaves.

Someone told me to change his food to a different brand because pedigree poisoned their dogs. I figured I would just give him time to get use to the food since he has a sensitive stomach. It's been about 3 weeks and only getting worse. He is now constantly shaking and not wanting to play at all. He's lost about 10 pounds and lost muscle. I would NEVER recommend this brand of dog food to ANYONE I know. I'm getting dressed to go buy a different brand for my baby! I feel horrible in the reason he's feeling horrible...

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

In November we took our 8 month old dog into the vet for a checkup. He was healthy and putting on about 5 lbs per month UNTIL we switched to this brand. At first it seemed ok. It was a well known brand name, been around forever, was middle of the road in cost... we gave it a try. The first indication something wasn’t right came with a concerned phone call from our neighbor. Our dog was throwing up a transparent liquid. I checked the backyard to see if there was any indication he might have gotten into anything (wrappers, chicken feed...anything). I didn’t find anything and he was still his energetic self. Kept an eye on it but nothing else out of the ordinary.

Then he started eating less of his food. We weren’t used to this. Usually he would polish off a bowl in the morning and a bowl at night. It was at this point we got through the first big bag of food. I hadn’t thought about it being food related so we got the same bag. Didn’t want to switch up his food again and perhaps add to the unknown problem. Then started the runny poop. He had been housebroken for some time but that seemed to be going backwards. Before he would whine if he needed out at night. We began waking up to one or two piles of runny poop in the morning. Then 4 or 5 a night. I noticed he was getting thin in his hips and started looking at food being the problem.

I took a day off to kinda track what he was doing during the day. To my surprise the energetic pup we had a couple months prior didn’t do much but sleep. He was lethargic and was becoming wobbly when he walked. That night I started checking reviews of this dog food. To my astonishment many of the reviews from other dog owners were describing what we were seeing in our dog. Many of the reviews were recent!

The next morning I went to local feed store to get him another food. They were knowledgeable and suggested a food. I got online and started searching reviews before leaving the store with it. Wanted to be fair to Pedigree and waited two weeks to see how our dog responded to the new food. Within a few days it was evident that Pedigree dog food was the problem. We had one incident of runny poop the day after we switched food. He was eating again. We are now at the end of two weeks and haven’t had an incident in the house. He is gaining weight (hips have filled back out). He is back to his pre-Pedigree dog food self. He has his puppy energy back.

I’m guilty of making decisions based on cost when it seems appropriate or necessary. I thought this was a “name brand” so had to be ok. “Dog food is dog food, he licks his own butt”. I was wrong. If you're reading this/other reviews that probably means your doing your research. If your dog is experiencing the same symptoms as many of these reviews CHANGE YOUR DOG FOOD. If you're taking a more proactive approach to becoming informed before you buy...I wouldn’t give you the almost full bag I have of this stuff (it’s going out with the Monday trash pickup).

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We rescued our Jindo girl when she was 8 weeks old and start her on this food mixed with some chicken broth to soften, then slowly as her teeth got stronger she had this plain. In December 2018 we introduced her to the wet Pedigree Puppy food as well which she does seem to be okay with still, but we will no longer buy because of the reviews and what this dry food did to her. January 2019 she started getting liquid, horrible smelling poops, waking up all night every two hours crying to go out and had poops for a week. We could not figure out what happened until we cut off her food and slowly reintroduced it- she was getting nothing but this food to ensure it was the issue and within hours she was throwing up stomach bile and had uncontrollable poops. So unfair and sad all these puppies are being poisoned. Will never buy this product again after what happened to our girl.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I've fed my two girls Pedigree for 4 years. Opened a bag January 20th. My dogs did not want to eat this food. They finally ate, got sick with vomiting, diarrhea, seizures. My greyhound mix passed away. My shar-pei is still recovering. I will never buy Pedigree again.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I have 3 mature Cairn Terriers and have fed this dry dog food to them for many years. They have always eaten all of their meal which is 3/4 cup daily of Pedigree. In the past couple of months I notice a change in the product and the dogs have started throwing this junk out of the dish. A new bag opened 01/24/19. They are hardly eating any of this junk and continue to throw it out of the dish all over the floor. All 3 dogs are refusing to eat this product at the same time after many years of eating the same bagged product. Something in the product has changed since fall of 2018.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Have been feeding my four-year-old German Shepherd Pedigree all of its life. Starting in January 2019 my dog started to vomit and have diarrhea. And now he has not eaten hardly anything in the last week. I did not see this on FDA recall, yet my dog is showing the same symptoms listed for vitamin D toxicity. Also just found a dead mouse by the dog food bag.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Decided to grab a bag of this at Walmart last night to save a few bucks on what I usually get my 2 pups. They sleep in their kennels at night and I put them to bed around 11, I woke up at 6:20 to one of them whining and crying which is extremely out of the ordinary. I went to the room they sleep in and my poor hound/lab mix pup was absolutely covered in his own liquid **. When I opened that room door I was blasted in the face with the stench.

My German Shepherd was also freaking out upon seeing me, I quickly let them both out the back door in that room and my German Shepherd diarrhead on the sidewalk. He didnt even make it to his spot. They're 2 and 4 years old, I have changed food on them MANY times and they have never, ever reacted like this. I spent the 95 minutes cleaning the poo out of the kennel and off of my dog. I cannot express how upset I am. I'm genuinely worried about leaving for work in a few hours because it might not be out of their system. I'm giving them lots of water and rice.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I've fed my dog Pedigree for a few yrs now, and it wasn't till a month or so that he's broken out with hives/rash on his face. But after taking him off it 2 days he cleared up and fed again and the rash and hives came back. Tomorrow I will definitely take my dog to the vet especially after reading all the reviews here. I will be sick if I find out my dog has some type of life threatening disease. I will come after them with everything I got if this was to occur.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I have 4 dogs and I feed Purina One dry dog food. I always give my dogs 1 spoonful of Pedigree Choice cuts in Gravy and mix it in. My 4 year old St. Bernard started throwing up blood. Lots of blood. He is on his third day at the vet with an extremely high white blood cell count. My sheltie began throwing up the next day and so did my Aussie. I knew this had to be the food so I took everything away and put them on a bland diet of boiled rice and chicken. I slowly started reintroducing the food trying to find the culprit. So I gave my dogs each one small spoonful of Pedigree. My sheltie threw up that evening. I honestly was very surprised that the Pedigree was the culprit. I will definitely not be using this brand any longer.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I was feeding my Anatolian Shepherd another more expensive food until I had to cut back because of finances. I thought that Pedigree was a good reputable food. My dog ate it well and no real issues until about a few months ago. He started having some benign tumors, and losing weight. I had heard a rumor that Pedigree was giving dogs tumors so I switched back to a better food. My dog kept losing weight. Took him to his Veteran this week only to find out he has Lymphoma. I guess all the rumors were true. Wish I would have never fed Odie Pedigree. Maybe there needs to be a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I have a 4 year old Labrador Retriever that every time she would eat the dry food of Pedigree she would throw it all up. So I started thinking she never had any problems until now so I stopped immediately because after researching it was the food.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Hello, I have a very picky Morkie. He would not eat anything hardly that you put in front of him but Pedigree. My "Buddy" has been diagnosed with cancer. He has been a very healthy dog. He is only 8 years old and is a service animal. I started feeding him pedigree about 5 years ago when I got him. This just came on him all the sudden. I was first told it was a infection from a bad tooth then when he started gagging I knew it was not good. That is when he was diagnosed with Lymphoma Cancer. I am just so heartbroken how a healthy dog who is a big major part of my family is dying over his dog food. Someone needs to do something about this.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I am livid! I purchased Pedigree Puppy Food because I believed it was a reputable brand and a quality product. It has made my dog so sick! She has experienced vomiting, severe diarrhea and now bloody stools! I did not associate it with the dog food at first, but by the grace of God I began to research it and saw all of the similar accounts. How irresponsible can you be?! I am so angry that I am going to contact some News Networks to initiate a recall and investigation of the quality and safety of their products, someone needs to held accountable! I urge anyone else who has had their beloved pets' well-being endangered or their health jeopardized or have been otherwise adversely affected to do the same...

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I have a boxer/corgi mix. She never had any issues with food until after having a litter of puppies. Now the only food I can give her is Pedigree. Otherwise, her hair gets coarse and brittle and she starts losing it. I wish I could give her a better product but she is so active on it that I have no other choice. Sometimes not the best ingredients can be what the dog needs.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I've always purchased Pedigree soft food for my aging husky. He has always loved it but tonight I opened a can and found mold on top of the food. It was disgusting. I know things happen but can't understand how that could have happened. I'd like to be reassured that this was a one time thing. Please take the time to contact me. I'm able to provide a picture and have the can with dates on it. I've always been a loyal Pedigree customer and hope this can be resolved. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have two small dogs, a Chihuahua and a Cairn Terrier. Both were boarded recently and fed Pedigree dry dog food and I had taken some canned Pedigree for them as a treat. All dogs up to date on shots, but when I got them home, both had diarrhea. I discontinued the canned food right way, but the Chihuahua got worse and started throwing up, and was dehydrated. Finally I got her to eat some plain chicken and then she drank some water and has seemed to recover. I would not recommend Pedigree brand dry dog food and I am now having second thoughts about the canned product also. I used to have a Boxer and she would get sick and have seizures after eating Pedigree dry, so I had not used it in years. Now if my dogs get boarded I will take in dog food for them and will be staying away from Pedigree.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have always fed our dogs the dry pedigree for small dogs... Usually steak and vegetable flavor. Our 7 year old dog just had surgery for kidney stones 25 of them. The surgery cost over $4000 and we had a friend do the surgery. Could this be the reason for the kidney stones? He never eats table scraps or treats... Now he is on a special diet... We are giving it to the other dog as well... What does pedigree really have in it to cause 25 stones????

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Fed my dogs this food for many years. They must have changed formula. My Boston terrier got choked on her food. I found splinters of bone all throughout the food. I don't feed my dogs bones. I wish they wouldn't either. Now I have to find a better food. SHAME ON PEDIGREE. SHOULD CHANGE NAME TO SPLINTERS.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

On Saturday, September 1st 2018 we bought a 50lb bag of Pedigree dry dog food. On Sunday all four of our dogs had diarrhea. At first, I assumed the diarrhea could have been caused by switching dog food. I have not always bought the same dog food so I would not have this problem with this. I have used Pedigree in the past (over a year ago) and did not have problems. I looked at the reviews about pedigree and found quite a few reviews that warned of the same problem. I immediately threw the dog food away and purchased another brand. Other than diarrhea I have not noticed any other symptoms. I am not a veterinarian so I can not say with a 100% certainty the Pedigree dog food caused the problem but it is consistent with other reports. The only thing consistent with the diarrhea is the dog food. They did not have anything else to eat and there is nothing else they could have ate.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I have 3 dogs and all of them are experiencing diarrhea after feeding Pedigree moist canned dog food. I have 8 cans left and I just put them in the trash. I’m afraid if I return them they will just be re-shelved. Putting my boys on boiled chicken and rice until they get better and never buying this product again.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

My completely healthy mix bread has been hospitalized for days because of this food. We have always fed our dogs regular hard dog food but I bought these packets as an added little treat. I fed them half a packet per day every day just about for a couple weeks and one of my dogs started throwing up, then she had trouble pooping, then she stopped eating altogether. We took her to the vet, for some medicine and went on our way. A week later we were back because she had gotten worse- lost 10lbs. We had X-rays and ultrasounds and biopsies and endoscopies all to find out she has a gigantic stomach ulcer... She has never had any gastro issues before this food. There is no way it’s a coincidence after reading the other reviews. This is an AWFUL brand and they are poisoning our pets.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My dog Moskau has been healthy his entire life. I've made sure to feed him high quality foods (nothing you'd find in a grocery store) and he has never had gastrointestinal problems. I ordered his regular food online on a Thursday evening meaning that it wouldn't have been delivered until the following Monday. So instead of letting him go without eating for the whole weekend, I bought 3 cans of Pedigree Rice and Chicken wet food to hold him over. I expected a little bit of the runs since this is common when you quickly change your dog's food or diet.

He was fine the first two days but on the third day I came home to puddles of liquid feces everywhere. He NEVER uses the bathroom inside the house. I figured it would last a day or so but I am now on day 5 and he still has EXPLOSIVE diarrhea and has been vomiting. Every day that I come home and every morning when I wake up, he has used the bathroom in the house because the diarrhea is so bad. He isn't eating at all and is hardly drinking enough to replace all the fluids he is losing and I'm honestly concerned whether or not he will pull through as he is not himself anymore and lacks any energy.

DO NOT BUY PEDIGREE EVER, your dog will be better off eating nothing at all until you have access to a higher quality food. Pedigree has made my dog extremely sick and I wish I had read these reviews and identical stories before I bought the food because in a way I did this to him. I can't believe this poisonous stuff is allowed on the shelves at all.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information